Windows Support Forum

"XP Pro Installation Setup" Removal from Vista Boot Screen

Q: "XP Pro Installation Setup" Removal from Vista Boot Screen

I've researched this forum's solutions for getting Vista to boot by itself however after downloading EasyBCD I was only able to remove the quot earlier version of windows quot Removal Pro Installation Boot from "XP Vista Screen Setup" option and for some reason I still keep getting quot Microsoft XP Pro Installation quot as well as quot Microsoft Vista Ultimate quot Vista works fine I'm just trying to get the xp install option out of there A little "XP Pro Installation Setup" Removal from Vista Boot Screen backstory might help I had to install Vista in the first place because my xp pro installation crashed i didn't want to go back to home and whenever I tried to install pro again when it got to the partition screen no partitions would ever show up and after - sec I'd get a BSOD "XP Pro Installation Setup" Removal from Vista Boot Screen So i reinstalled xp home went to the bookstore and picked up the update version of vista ultimate I installed Vista and it works great After a month of having to manually select it each time I restart my computer though it's getting rather annoying EasyBCD does not show the xp pro installation option in the bootloader however it's still there whenever i restart Any suggestions

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/xp-pro-installation-setup-removal-from-vista-boot-screen-192982.html
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: "XP Pro Installation Setup" Removal from Vista Boot Screen

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 105.35%

I am helping out a friend by re-installing Windows 7 on his laptop. Unfortunately the laptop had been infected beyond repair by a virus/malware and would not boot past bios.

When installing Windows 7 x32, I make it to the "Setup is starting..." screen and it does not continue. It is not the disk as I have used the same one to install it on my laptop. The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1545 with 4gb of ram and 500gb HDD space.
Please help!

A:Windows 7 installation hangs at "Setup is starting..." screen

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-7-installation-hangs-at-setup-is-starting-screen.987374/
Relevancy 105.35%

I've read a similar query but not any of the answers were able to solve my problem I have a dell studio laptop with regular specs windows home premium bit recently it used to give problems of sudden switch off with flash of a blue screen the problem was a virus as it also messed with my windows essential antivirus Repair installation Setup" on Stuck "Starting Windows Screen-Unabl 7 2 Anyhow so i installed Avast antivirus and run Windows 7 installation Stuck on "Starting Setup" Screen-Unabl 2 Repair a boot time scan with showed some viruses the problem Windows 7 installation Stuck on "Starting Setup" Screen-Unabl 2 Repair is that by mistake i put a windows temp file into the antivirus chest After that scan my windows is unable to boot properly I firstly tried the suggested option of windows repair but its stuck indefinately on the blue flowers screen with no activity I tried to repair with a bootable copy of windows but its stuck on the point where the windows searches the present os installed the os is listed there but the curser shows up as the circling one and does not turn normal even after a long time i tried re-installing windows but the screen is stuck at the point after it prompts you to choose GMT the screen says quot Setup is starting quot indefinitely again the same circling cursor The dell diagnostics when run says that I have hard drive error no - I followed a post by Greggocker and was able to backup my data using Peppermint live linux os I also read him suggesting to change settings of BIOS but problem is that my BIOS Phoenix A Does not have many options to change anything that he said I may also not be able to access it due to lack of knowledge so if it seems the case the explain the same No matter what windows copy i use its stuck also Im not an expert with installing windows - and none of my friend was able to help too so PLZ HELP

A:Windows 7 installation Stuck on "Starting Setup" Screen-Unabl 2 Repair

Quote: Originally Posted by harsh93singh09

I've read a similar query but not any of the answers were able to solve my problem.
I have a dell studio 15 laptop (1555) with regular specs windows 7 home premium 64 bit , recently it used to give problems of sudden switch off with flash of a blue screen , the problem was a virus as it also messed with my windows essential antivirus.
Anyhow , so i installed Avast antivirus and run a boot time scan with showed some viruses , the problem is that by mistake i put a windows/temp file into the antivirus chest . After that scan my windows is unable to boot properly.
I firstly tried the suggested option of
1)windows repair but its stuck indefinately on the blue flowers screen with no activity
2)I tried to repair with a bootable copy of windows but its stuck on the point where the windows searches the present os installed , the os is listed there but the curser shows up as the circling one and does not turn normal even after a long time.
3)i tried re-installing windows but the screen is stuck at the point after it prompts you to choose GMT , the screen says "Setup is starting" indefinitely, again the same circling cursor
4)The dell diagnostics when run says that I have hard drive error no. 2000-0146
I followed a post by Greggocker and was able to backup my data using Peppermint live linux os
I also read him suggesting to change settings of BIOS, but problem is that my BIOS(Phoenix A07) Does not have many options to change anything that he said(I may also not be able to access it due to lack of knowledge so if it seems the case the explain the same)
No matter what windows copy i use its stuck!!
also Im not an expert with installing windows - and none of my friend was able to help too so

PLZ HELP

The copy of windows (Iso File ) Does not have any problem as it runs on other computers finely

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/349522-windows-7-installation-stuck-starting-setup-screen-unabl-2-repair.html
Relevancy 100.62%

Hi,

When I boot/restart the PC a box appears on the screen almost immediately once desktop appears. It's a "Setup" box providing certain details involving Windows etc. Please see attachment of screenshot. It's been like this for a week or so and I have tried everything to disable it but nothing works. It would be great if you could look into this for me and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Jason.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/weird-setup-screen-appearing-after-restart-boot.488361/
Relevancy 98.47%

I am trying to install Microsoft Works 2000 onto a Windows Me machine. However about half way through the installation process it stops and says "Setup could not launch MDAC Installation" So I went to microsoft's MDAC page and downloaded the current MDAC version, installed it, however i'm still getting the same error message when I try to install MS Works 2000. Anybody know how to fix this problem?

A:Microsoft Works 2000 installation Problem "Setup couldn't Launch MDAC Installation"

http://www.computing.net/office/wwwboard/forum/1130.html

Not sure if that will work for you or not........

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/microsoft-works-2000-installation-problem-setup-couldnt-launch-mdac-installation.157688/
Relevancy 98.47%

I am trying to install Microsoft Works 2000 onto a Windows Me machine. However about half way through the installation process it stops and says "Setup could not launch MDAC Installation" So I went to microsoft's MDAC page and downloaded the current MDAC version, installed it, however i'm still getting the same error message when I try to install MS Works 2000. Anybody know how to fix this problem?

A:Microsoft Works 2000 installation Problem "Setup couldn't Launch MDAC Installation"

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=157688

Please post only once. Closing duplicate.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/microsoft-works-2000-installation-problem-setup-couldnt-launch-mdac-installation.157690/
Relevancy 92.02%

Hi my attempt to install windows today ended in When I boot from the DVD choose the Language and press quot Install quot I get an Error message stating quot A DVD CD drive device driver is missing If you have a driver CD Floppy please insert it now quot Here are my specifications- HP Pavilion p f Desktop PC Product Specifications HP Pavilion p f Desktop PC device missing" "DVD setup installation in drive Win7 drivers - HP technical support Austria - English I have experienced this same problem with Vista x and x "DVD drive device drivers missing" in Win7 installation setup I am trying to clean install Windows bit I put the drivers on a thumb drive and Browse to it when prompts me Funny thing is Windows reads all the other files on the thumb drive like psds flas skps and so on but it just plays stupid to the actual drivers for the motherboard chipset The system rejects XP and I was forced to put Ubuntu on it Ubuntu sucks nothing runs I know all about WINE to get some programs to run but I use the entire Adobe Suite

A:"DVD drive device drivers missing" in Win7 installation setup

Try this:

USB Windows 7 Installation Key Drive - Create

Take a look at these posts:

http://www.sevenforums.com/installat...-problems.html
Tutorial quick reference list for Installing Windows 7
Questions to use for help with Installation Issues

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/88297-dvd-drive-device-drivers-missing-win7-installation-setup.html
Relevancy 92.02%

Hi Everybody I'm really in need of some help or advice with my laptop Specs below Acer Aspire Intel i - M GB DDR Intel Graphics It started when I needed to take the computer back to factory default with a fresh install It was going back to Acer to have the charger point fixed charger socket had become loose but still charged when it was held in I used the control panel interface to reinstall windows all was going well until the laptop power died I restarted the laptop and the screen displayed quot setup is starting Services quot a pop up box then appeared with quot the computer restarted unexpectedly or encounterd an unexpected error Windows installation cannot proceed To install Windows click quot OK quot to restart the computer and then restart installation quot I have searched around the net and found a few threads guides but most require a repair disc or Installation disk I have neither Is there any way of starting the install again for example from Command Prompt Any advice is greatly appreciated Thanks Aaron

A:Setup is starting services "loop" No Repair or installation Disk

Welcome to Windows Seven Forums.

Have a look at this tutorial: Startup Repair Infinite Loop Recovery

Also, as you have access to another computer, you can use it to create a system repair disc.

System Repair Disc - Create

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/213155-setup-starting-services-loop-no-repair-installation-disk.html
Relevancy 92.02%

Hi I've repeatedly attempted this but always get driver "An installation V550 occurred error setup" Epson during An error occurred during setup Restart your computer Epson V550 driver installation "An error occurred during setup" then run setup again This is an all too typical message you can find associated with many Epson products I've tried Clean boot Safe mode install enabled Using an Epson removal tool I finally obtained after my th chat with Epson An Epson fix deleting temp folder and looking for setup Epson V550 driver installation "An error occurred during setup" exe that never appeared On my th chat I was advised to consult Microsoft Manually removing all Epson folders and registry entries I can find Disabling firewall and AV The same CD installed ok on my year-old laptop both run Windows x I've found a couple of other fixes found by someone looking at the log file I've run SFC Scannow - ok At best the scanner is recognised as being connected when plugged in and appears with a yellow trangle under 'Other Devices' in Device Manager Any ideas welcome - I'd like to use my new scanner Thanks

A:Epson V550 driver installation "An error occurred during setup"

Hi, I've found a solution, albeit a tad obscure. Short story:
1. Install the driver normally, noting it fails, and the device is recognised when plugged in and appears in Device Manager under 'Other devices' with a yellow triangle.
2. There right click the device, update driver and browse to the CD used to install the driver initially, and to the driver folder.
Let the update run.

The scanner should now be installed.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...?page=2&auth=1

which offers another approach too.

There are quite a few reports of Epson driver installations (various devices) failing with this message. Epson chat eventually referred me to Microsoft.... saying the original message was a Windows error.

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/42470-epson-v550-driver-installation-error-occurred-during-setup.html
Relevancy 92.02%

Note this is a mirror of "Finishing Setup Q963 After Intel Installation" Windows with 7 Freezes a very similar thread over on Windows 7 Setup Freezes After "Finishing Installation" with Intel Q963 the Microsoft forums So I got this Optiplex and figured I could just throw in a hard drive install Windows 7 Setup Freezes After "Finishing Installation" with Intel Q963 Windows and everything would be good This has actually been the most frustrating setup I've ever experienced - full details after the break specs Dell Optiplex Intel Core Duo Ghz GB of RAM MM KW Standard Motherboard Intel Q Graphics So like I said before I grabbed a hard drive and threw it in I discovered that I needed to change some settings in the BIOS that had been mucked up by the previous owner reset from a motherboard battery change perhaps by disabling the nonexistent floppy drive and enabling the SATA port that my fancy shmancy SATA hard drive was on Useless details aside I got things to a workable point and proceeded on to install Windows Everything went smoothly - I put the DVD in it asked me where I wanted to put Windows at so I cleared the drive and it got to work It went through all the checkboxes except for the last one and reported that it needed to reboot - still completely normal After a rebooty we got to the quot finishing installation quot phase and the screen blanked out at the point where it loads the graphic drivers to a black screen with no mouse The monitor's quot info quot button revealed that the computer was now outputting x to it which meant it had located the graphic driver Subsequent restarts of the computer would get you past the Windows logo but it would always lock up the computer the second it changed the resolution Safe mode is prohibited by the computer until setup is complete With this in mind I took the hard drive out and put it in a less troublesome computer and ran the setup with no network access After it was done I put the hard drive back in the Dell and to my surprise it started Of course since I had just transplanted the hard drive it went and installed drivers for fifty new things and suggested I restart the machine which I did Once it restarted the same thing happened as before which tells me hopefully I'm on the right tracks here that it is a driver problem Now I have the advantage of being able to use safemode though I booted inito safemode and just uninstalled the graphic drivers they dheidn't look like the generic ones and restarted This time it started hooray Of course the display was in x because we were using the generic driver but everything else was good I downloaded the driver from the Intel website which reads in device manager quot Intel R Q Q Express Chipset Family the stock one read quot Intel R Q Q Express Chipset Family Microsoft Corporation - WDDM quot After rebooting I discovered that the one from Intel's webpage does the same thing My question is this is there anywhere that I can get a proper working driver for the Intel Q graphics I would like to be able to use the computer outside of safemode Things I have tried Dell BIOS Update - Unsuccessful I'm running Bit Windows and it's one of those Windows based BIOS updates that refuses to run on a Bit version of Windows I was able to bypass this problem on a Lenovo computer by using Active BootDisc and run the installer from in there but I don't get anywhere with this one for some reason Any ideas Thanks a lot in advance - B

A:Windows 7 Setup Freezes After "Finishing Installation" with Intel Q963

Have you tried the Dell support site to see if they have the proper drivers for that PC with Win 7?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/209429-windows-7-setup-freezes-after-finishing-installation-intel-q963.html
Relevancy 92.02%

I am resetting my windows 7 and there is this message that says "Setup is starting services".I have been waiting for four hours so it can complete but it keeps saying this.I have tried to search the internet for a fix but none of them worked.

A:Windows 7 Laptop installation "Setup is starting services"

Start over using the latest official Win7 installation media for your licensed version provided in Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7 and follow those steps closely to get and keep a perfect install.

This time delete all partitions during the booted install. This is explained in tutorial.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/348516-windows-7-laptop-installation-setup-starting-services.html
Relevancy 92.02%

I just tried to reformat and install windows XP home edition and upon coming to the screen of quot Repair quot or quot Install fresh copy quot I received an error reporting Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program Setup cannot continue harddrive" XP error: installation "Setup Win cannot home find To quit setup press F I have no idea why it would be saying this I m using the same computer now seconds later than when I was trying to install windows Currently I m using Windows Professional x this is the reason I want home I hate not having any drivers for webcams printers and the like Asus A V-Deluxe motherboard and the harddrive in question is a Western Digital gb rpm mb buffer SATA drive Any help would be greatly appreciated nbsp

A:Win XP home installation error: "Setup cannot find harddrive"

A friend of mine is also running a 64bit system, we tried to install xp pro on it and it was extremely unstable. It now has xp64 on it and it runs fine. As for the drivers u mentioned, its just a matter of time. The industry will hopefully catch up soon.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/win-xp-home-installation-error-setup-cannot-find-harddrive.34185/
Relevancy 92.02%

Hello friends,I was installing win8 at my desktop pc.Suddenly power cut occured and it caused the compute to shut down.Then when I restarted my pc again a messege appeared saying that the installation has been corrupted and it can't be continued and it doesn't log on.After that when I tried to re-install win8 the setup got stuck at the "setup is starting" window.I waited overnight for it to go and the installation to start.But it doesn't happen.I have tried to re-install several times but the same problen happens again and again.So neither I can log into my computer now nor I can re-install windows.I don't know what to do.Friends please help me!

A:Windows 8 installation stucks at"setup is starting" window

So when you started to do a fresh install, you allowed the Win setup to do the format etc, when at setup stage, did you try delete and then recreate the partition?

Try Brink's Tutorial on Clean Install - Windows 8

Hopefully this will help you. A power surge and then sudden issues with hard drives is never a great sign.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/42468-windows-8-installation-stucks-setup-starting-window.html
Relevancy 91.59%

MSI K7N2 Delta2 motherboard
512 mb ram
Athlon XP 2700

Bought a new 250 gig seagate SATA 7200.8 hard drive and a win xp home upgrade edition. enabled SATA in BIOS, connected SATA cable to SATA1 on mobo, BIOS didn't recognize the drive, connected to SATA2 and BIOS did recognize drive so I tried to partition and format using Seagate's DiscWizard from floppy. Things seemed to go fine until I got a message that format wasn't completed because of some error.

I went ahead and tried to install from xp cd, loaded SATA drivers from floppy, cd started loading but then hangs up at "setup is starting windows"

I've never used SATA before, and I'm not sure if there is anything else I can check or try. If so please let me know, thanks for any suggestions

Relevancy 91.59%

I am trying to install Windows Ultimate x on my custom build I get through the whole system setup and stall at the quot setup is preparing Installation your for preparing at stall "Setup is first computer use" your computer for first use quot Here are my computer specs AMD FX Black Edition Asus M A LE R GB GSkill Ripjawz DDR MHz EVGA GeForce GTX Installation stall at "Setup is preparing your computer for first use" also tried my old Geforce GT TB Western Digital HDD RPM SATA I've gone into the device manager and tried disabling the graphics card uninstalling the driver and updating the driver none of which did the trick Then I browsed to the system logs and found that the Installation stall at "Setup is preparing your computer for first use" quot online installation quot failed was the last entry in my setup log I've disabled my wireless card with the device manager and will now attempt uninstalling the driver for it I'm at a total loss I've put a ton of time and money into this machine and I've never had any of these problems with any of my previous builds Any advice

A:Installation stall at "Setup is preparing your computer for first use"

Your specs show you already have Window 7 Ultimate installed.
Are you trying a Clean Install or a Repair Install?

Are you following any tutorials on this forum?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/359329-installation-stall-setup-preparing-your-computer-first-use.html
Relevancy 91.59%

Hi,

I am trying to resolve a "Setup did not find any hard drives" error while installing Windows XP on my HP Pavilion dv9000 with an AMD Turion 64x2. I am following the information on this site:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...d-disk-drives-during-windows-xp-installation/

The problem I'm having is that I cannot figure out where to find the correct RAID/SATA Drives for my laptop. If somebody knows where to find the appropriate *.inf files I would appriciate it. Thanks

Relevancy 91.59%

I'm trying to install the Windows 8 Preview x64. I've successfully installed it on my old laptop and a Latitude ST from work, but it won't install on my main PC.

I go through the setup wizard as normal; no errors. But, when it comes to the actual installing part, it gets stuck on "Getting files ready for installation (12%)". The computer is not frozen at this point - I still have full control of the mouse, and if I eject the DVD setup complains that it's missing. I've left it for an hour and it doesn't progress past 12%.

Is the 12% significant? Could it be a hardware issue? (my specs should be below)

Thanks for your help.

A:Setup stops at "Getting files ready for installation"

AFAIK the 12% isn't significant. I've found I have better results using a USB. Also, you're ISO may be corrupted. If the USB thing doesn't work, try another ISO.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/8441-setup-stops-getting-files-ready-installation.html
Relevancy 90.73%

Okay, jumper's in the right spot, thanks to kiwiguy and /\/\r. Abdul. The hard drive is now installed, Now i tried to set up windows, but i have a blue screen again that has "Setup is starting Windows" on it, and I've waited a good 15 minutes for it to change, and still nothing. Thanks for all your guy's help, i really appreciate your putting up with my n00b-ness

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/setup-is-starting-windows-still-there-even-after-installation-of-hdd.374009/
Relevancy 90.73%

I am having a problem with the installation of Win7 on my laptop, currently running Vista. I have tried a Clean install from both a DVD and a Bootable Flash drive, both sit at "setup is starting" any suggestions?
Setup went fine on my desktop machine that was running XP
Thanks

A:Installation stalls at "Setup is starting"

Quote: Originally Posted by seattle

I am having a problem with the installation of Win7 on my laptop, currently running Vista. I have tried a Clean install from both a DVD and a Bootable Flash drive, both sit at "setup is starting" any suggestions?
Setup went fine on my desktop machine that was running XP
Thanks

seaattle

Was the image (iso) the same for the xp machine and vista machine? If not maybe bad image, if so maybe bios setting. could you tell us more abt the install and your system.

TIA

Ken

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/19455-installation-stalls-setup-starting.html
Relevancy 88.58%

I was trying to respond to an old post about this error - it was an unsolved post - but was over the time limit. I have been encountering "Error 1402 - Vista Setup can not open registry key..... xxxyyyyzz"

I was attempting to install Microsoft Office 2007 when I received this error. I was able to fix it using Microsoft's "Fix It" wizard. I have posted a link here..

How do I restore security settings to the default settings? This restores your registry to default security settings, and in my case, it clearly fixed my error 1402.

Hope this helps.
Thanks
Andy

http://www.vistax64.com/software/261730-vista-error-1402-vista-setup-can-not-open-registry-key.html
Relevancy 87.29%

I started an upgrade for xp pro part way through the install I got a message "WatchDriverSigningPolicy.exe" no found I pressed enter then got another message "fake setup call himself instead original "setup.exe" ; setup abort!" now each time I reboot it starts to load xp then gives me the same message then press enter it then reboots.
can any body help?

A:problem with xp pro upgrade "fake setup call himself instead original "setup.exe"

What were you upgrading? Sounds like you need to do a clean install and possibly your cd or your cd drive is shot or just dirty.
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problem-with-xp-pro-upgrade-fake-setup-call-himself-instead-original-setup-exe.523986/
Relevancy 86.86%

I have an old Dell Latitude C Laptop Pentium III that I got from a friend who s son got some wicked virus on it and the computer was pretty much useless It would boot and load windows but once it finished loading it would freeze wouldn t let me run a virus scan nothing To make a long story short I used a utility on my Ultimate Boot CD quot to wipe the drive clean Oh my friend didn t have the setup bootable strike to for F1 retry "No devices F2 utility" boot, restore disk either Now I get this message quot No boot sector on hard disk - No bootable devices - strike F to retry boot F "No bootable devices strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility" for setup utility quot I have a Windows XP disk that I tried using to reinstall the OS but kept getting the same message I set the bios so the CD Rom would boot first did no "No bootable devices strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility" good My UBCD boots just fine so it is not a bad HD The laptop doesn t have a floppy drive either so I can t make boot floppies Help nbsp

A:"No bootable devices strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility"

Hi

did you buy any chance remove the drive from the laptop at all... ?

the c610 has a little blade adaptor that changes the standard IDE pins into a flat set of pins, they sometimes dont sit right or the drive isnt snugly in the drive bay....

take it out and reinsert it,,on boot up go into the BIOS (F2 at boot) and check the drive shows, if it doesnt then the drive has died and needs to be replaced.

regards

ididmyc600

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-bootable-devices-strike-f1-to-retry-boot-f2-for-setup-utility.132530/
Relevancy 86.86%

I set my PC up as dual boot, with XP on the C drive and 98 on the D (or is it E) drive. But when I boot under 98, during the boot process I get two options:
- Windows XP Setup
- Microsoft Windows (which is Windows 98)

Of course the cursor by default lands on Windows XP Setup, so if I do nothing that launches automatically and I have to quit, restart, etc.

I figure I must have installed this when I was initially setting up XP. Is there some way to get rid of it? I no longer need to "set up" XP, and want it to just boot into 98 by default when I select that drive as my boot drive.

Thanks - and great to find this forum. I'm a knowledgeable Mac guy but pretty uneducated when it comes to the PC.

- Bob

A:Removing "Windows XP Setup" option that appears at boot

Just to clarify a little - these options appear during the boot process (i.e. in white on a black screen). Can I safely uninstall this "Windows XP Setup" option, and if so, how should I do it?

Anybody?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/removing-windows-xp-setup-option-that-appears-at-boot.379762/
Relevancy 86.43%

Hi all So I'm kind of stuck I currently have the problem where I am in an endless cycle of quot loading files quot - gt quot Windows Boot Manager quot see How To Boot Into Safe Mode On Windows The Easy Way I have tried to load all of the options -- and none successfully load I also end up at a OneKey Recovery as well unfortunately the laptop does not have initial backup or user backup Manager" -> files Boot ..." "Loading "OneKey" "Windows -> images I have a Windows CD for repairing purposes however I cannot load the BIOS UEFI to change "Loading files ..." -> "Windows Boot Manager" -> "OneKey" the boot order to load the optical drives first I have also tried to remove the CMOS battery to fix it did not work Also - Windows "Loading files ..." -> "Windows Boot Manager" -> "OneKey" Boot Manager Windows Setup EMS Enabled -- does not load properly leads to OneKey Recovery Safe Mode does not load properly Safe Mode with Networking does not load properly Safe Mode with Command Prompt doesn't load - tries to boot and load all files onto partition that is too small can't change partition Enable Boot Logging Enable Low-Resolution Video Debugging MOde Disable automatic restart on system failure Disable Driver Signature Enforcement Display Early Launch Anti-Malware Driver Start Windows Normally Any ideas would be greatly appreciated Thanks

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/55670-loading-files-windows-boot-manager-onekey.html
Relevancy 86.43%

My laptop froze after entering a wrong product key. I then pressed the shut down button till my computer went off. I restarted the computer and chose the "start windows normally" option. The laptop boots to "setup is preparing for first use" screen. It lasts for about 1 minute and then the computer restarts automatically following the same processes.

A:Windows 7 does not boot past "setup is preparing..."

Please do not double post... stick with your original thread...

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/56606-windows-7-does-not-boot-past-setup-preparing.html
Relevancy 86.43%

i have a dell xps 400 that i needed to format i got it off a friend and i have a windows service pack 3 disk and when i boot the cd up i get to the screen that shows all the drivers being installed and when it gets to "setup is starting
windows" i get this blue screen error.......

***stop: 0x0000007b (0XF7CAF524, 0XC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

any help would bve much appreciated i am hopeing to get this pc running

A:[SOLVED] "Setup is starting windows" blue screen error

Is this a SATA drive or a EIDE? If it is a SATA drive you may need to enable SATA in the Bios.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-setup-is-starting-windows-blue-screen-error-404086.html
Relevancy 86.43%

I'm working on someone's laptop. It has a error when turned on stating a disk error occured. press ctrl alt del to restart but of course when you press those keys it keeps giving you the same message. So I decided to reload windows but when I boot it up with the recovery disk, it states "setup is checking system hardware configurations" but after that the screen goes blank. Any idea how to solve this in order for me to reload windows?

Anyone??? Please HELP!!!

A:Solved: Blank screen after "setup is checking hardware's configuration"

Please someone help Anyone????

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-blank-screen-after-setup-is-checking-hardwares-configuration.749131/
Relevancy 86.43%

Hi, I tried to install Windows XP on a computer (ASROCK K7VM3, Semprom 2.2), but a I get a "blue screen" error message: something related with loading the library KBDES.DLL. And then I only can reset or shut up, and restart the XP setup.
I tried partitioning NTFS, FAT, and it keeps happening.
I had this problem in more than one computer.
Anyboby knows how to solve it?

Thank you for your help,
Jorge.

A:XP Setup "Blue Screen"Error, Can´t install XP

is this a usb keyboard?
try a different ps2 one
here
post back

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/xp-setup-blue-screen-error-can-t-install-xp-85855.html
Relevancy 86.43%

i have a dell xps 400 that i needed to format i got it off a friend and i have a windows service pack 3 disk and when i boot the cd up i get to the screen that shows all the drivers being installed and when it gets to "setup is starting
windows" i get this blue screen error.......

***stop: 0x0000007b (0XF7CAF524, 0XC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

any help would bve much appreciated i am hopeing to get this pc running

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/setup-is-starting-windows-blue-screen-error.851747/
Relevancy 86.43%

Hey guys currently using home premium 32bit but got pro upgrade 64 bit so had to do the custom install from booting with the disk

I choose the language, keyboard layout etc, choose custom install, pick the hard drive and it goes to the installing screen.

When part 2 of the install screen is almost done it said installation will continue after the computer restarts.
After it restarts, it just stays on the "starting windows" screen and the windows logo never shows. It wa son there for hours. I restarted by pressing the restart button and it continued back on the step 2 and them same thing, restart and then continue later but now the screen is just stuck on the "starting windows" screen.

Any ideas????

Thanks

A:Custom setup stuck on "starting windows" screen

Never mind, I unplugged things and it's all good

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/161258-custom-setup-stuck-starting-windows-screen.html
Relevancy 86%

It just happened out of the blue. I just got the computer in november. Please someone help me. I cant reboot it wont go passed this screen. It dont have a cd rom or anything like that

A:Black screen saying "setup is starting services"

Hello and welcome FL2013 first what screen are you referring to? as you have no pics of it in the post.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/277894-black-screen-saying-setup-starting-services.html
Relevancy 86%

I tried to reformat from the XP CD and from a boot disc floppy. Each time the process gets stuck at: Windows Setup. There is nothing else on the blue screen. It won't go past there to the agreement section...or anything else.

This system was a custom built computer, given to my mother-in-law about 3 years ago. The company has since gone out of business. It was built w/ XP Professional SP1 and has since been upgraded w/ SP2. Recently Outlook express stopped working properly and would shut itself down as soon as it was opened. Then the dial-up connection would connect but no internet explorer pages would load.

I thought I would just reformat and start over...but this process gets stuck very early. What can I do?

Relevancy 86%

Hello.

This morning I was trying to install windows 7.
However,when the windows setup screen arrived,with
the three first choices,language ect,ect,
The mouse and keyboared don't work?
Any help appreciated.

A:Windows 7 setup screen "mouse problem"

Make sure USB settings are correct in BIOS setup - often USB Legacy needs enabling.

If this fails use a PS2 mouse and keyboard, or if you are using a wireless keyboard/mouse change to USB or PS2.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/212638-windows-7-setup-screen-mouse-problem.html
Relevancy 86%

So I ended up making a repair install of Windows as suggested in this thread Need help resetting folder permissions Bad idea For some reason it goes all the way through the install or so I services" starting "Setup is Disabling screen think then I discover that it's rolling back the changes It reboots and I notice a new option on the boot menu for rolling back Setup which is the default one So now the computer keeps booting that option and restarting as soon as the roll back screen has been show for a few seconds So I decide to choose the Windows option instead figuring I will try to reinstall again Instead I get a screen saying Setup is installing services and an error message saying quot The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error quot So I've been reading tons of pages online and tried everything like disabling the floppy disk in the BIOS running Windows in Safe Mode and then through a command prompt disabling some devices and trying to upgrade from the DVD only to find out I can only do a clean install there Making a clean install is absolutely NOT an option So since the installation saved all the old files I overwrote the install files with the old files but I'm still getting that screen So I'm figuring that there is somewhere in the registry database where I can tell it not to load install but instead boot directly into Windows But where would I find that

A:Disabling "Setup is starting services" screen

See if you can browse in to look for these files using this method from DVD: Copy & Paste - in Windows Recovery Console

C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther\setuperr.log
C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther\setupact.log
C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther\miglog.xml
C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther\setupapi\setupapi.dev.log
C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther\setupapi\setupapi.app.log
C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther\PreGatherPnPList.log
C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther\PostGatherPnPList.log

The last listing should be a clue to what's hanging the upgrade (Repair) install.

If necessary copy out your files as you'll likely have to reinstall, like it or not, since you deleted files which may be needed to complete hung Repair install.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/173615-disabling-setup-starting-services-screen.html
Relevancy 86%

Vaio laptop windows and that Laptop on starting" stuck screen "Setup is s all I know about the computer It s my daughter s Her infant son banged the keyboard making the screen freeze It then rebooted and got stuck on Start-up repair or something I don t remember now that was a few days ago We left it for hours but it didn t go any further So I tried other remedies Removed battery and power cord and held power button for seconds No change Reboot in safe mode It wouldn Laptop stuck on "Setup is starting" screen t even go into safe mode Rebooted to last good configuration Still wouldn t boot Tried to run Windows repair disc Wouldn t go Laptop stuck on "Setup is starting" screen past the third step Removed the hard drive and replaced it with one known to be working and it just blue-screened and died Now it doesn t even get to the startup repair screen It is on a blue screen that says quot Setup is starting quot And it stays on that screen Hope someone can help nbsp

Relevancy 86%

I recently purchased an entire computer worth of parts from newegg and have run into a snag during windows installation I have built this set up for a friend before and had no probs i completed the computer and went to install windows to my joy the computer booted up on its to lockup Setup" "Welcome freeze/keyboard screen first try and appeard to be succsesfully starting up the windows xp setup when it get to loading "Welcome to Setup" screen freeze/keyboard lockup up all the drivers nessissary for "Welcome to Setup" screen freeze/keyboard lockup windows to install and the status bar at the bottom says starting windows the screen goes black for a second then goes to the screen that says quot windows installations Press quot Continue quot to begin quot r quot for repare blah blah but the keyboard appears to lockup and become unresponcive cant even tun off on capps lock or numlock thought it might be the keyboard so i borowed a friends still froze Ive been scowering the net for ppl w simallar issues but alas i havent been able to find anything close My guesses could be The mobo itself possibly the dvd drive i m useing or the ribbon which honestly wouldnt make much sence to me anyway Or the thing i suspect also would be that i need to instal raid drivers this to would be odd as i mentiond before that using basically the exact same hardware and OS for my friend and he didnt need to intall rd party raid ANY advice on this would be much appriciated Thanks for reading nbsp

A:"Welcome to Setup" screen freeze/keyboard lockup

my signiture should display my hardware.. if not

Intel Pentium D 945 Presler 3.4GHz LGA 775
-------------------------------
Kingston 4GB DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300)
----------------------------------------
2X Western Digital Caviar 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb-s Hard Drive
-------------------------------------------
BFG Tech GeForce 8800GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card
--------------------------------------------
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
-------------------------------
Intel LGA 775 Intel G965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/welcome-to-setup-screen-freeze-keyboard-lockup.571044/
Relevancy 85.57%

Hi Everyone I have a very severe issue due to which my Dell Inspiron Laptop is in nbsp dead state since last one month I bought this Laptop in from UK Everything was ok until last month when first windows user login screen took extraordinary time to show up and then when I restarted my Laptop Windows refused to start hangs 1564 is on DELL Windows" Starting Inspiron "Setup Re-installation 7 Windows at giving me following Windows 7 Re-installation on DELL Inspiron 1564 hangs at "Setup is Starting Windows" nbsp error windows failed to start a recent hardware or nbsp software change might be a cause if windows files have been damage or configured incorrectly start up can help diagnosis and fix the problem if power was interpted during start up choose start window normally From Dell Windows Reinstallation DVD which came with the Laptop I made bootable USB as my optical drive does not work to reinstall windows but after quot window is loading files quot screen when I click on Reinstall windows link it stucks there like forever It just shows message quot Setup is Starting Windows quot I have waited for to hours but it does not proceed further Someone please tell me what could be the reason for this Thank in Advance nbsp

A:Windows 7 Re-installation on DELL Inspiron 1564 hangs at "Setup is Starting Windows"

HAMMI_SAIF,
Try going into the bios by starting the computer and tapping the F2 key. Once in the bios navigate to the Advanced tab and down to SATA Operation. Change the setting to ATA. Save the changes on exit. See if you can then install Windows. If so, you will need to go back in and change this back once Windows is installed.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/t/19993292
Relevancy 85.57%

OS is Windows 7 x64 bit and I do not use RAID, I simply have 3 SATA magnetic Hard Drives my main boot drive is a 128 GB SSD iaStor Drive.

Motherboard is Gigabyte model GA-EP45-UD3P rev 1.1

"jmb36x ide setup" loads with start-up, is this necessary or would not loading it cause a very serious issue or failure with my computer?

thanks.

A:"jmb36x ide setup" Can I remove from Boot??

The jmb36x (GIGABYTE SATA2, really JMicron) chip also controls the IDE channels

"1 x IDE connector supporting ATA-133/100/66/33 and up to 2 IDE devices"

I would not disable it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/162163-jmb36x-ide-setup-can-i-remove-boot.html
Relevancy 85.57%

I'm getting the following message when I boot XP Pro SP Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt lt Windows root gt system hal dll Please re-install a copy of the above file THIS boot error setup on "multiboot" hal.dll IS THE SECOND TIME IN MONTHS hal.dll boot error on "multiboot" setup that I've had this situation I thought I fixed it the last time by formatting the hard drive and reinstalling Win XP I DO NOT want to do this again Even if I fix this I know it will keep happening again and again How do I stop that from happening I've had XP Pro installed on this same machine since and I've NEVER had ANY problems until recently I remember I had some sort of unresolved problem with my hard drive where the system would mix up the drive letters of the five partitions on that drive to where I could no longer startup Windows Up became down black became white human sacrifice dogs and cats living together - mass hysteria Anyway I called a tech to come to my home and his advice was lengthy and complicated ultimately ending with doing drive letter acrobatics for a while in an attempt to backup my data and then wiping the hard drive and reinstalling and it would cost me close to with his help so I figured let me just get a second hard drive instead install XP on the new one and keep the current hard drive the way it is since hey at least I'd save all my data So that's exactly what I did Got a second hard drive installed it installed XP and ever since then I've been greeted with a multiboot screen Please select which operating system to start Microsoft Windows XP Professional -- this is the quot new quot installation on the newer hard drive Microsoft Windows -- this one comes from the old hard drive although the Windows folder is just about empty barely any trace of Windows on those partitions Sidenote Not sure if this is important but the tech said that the reason my original hard drive had those problems with the drive letters was that when I had that older drive installed gig I wanted it partitioned ways and the guy who originally set it up used an incorrect outdated program I forget the name to partition it and that it was only a matter of time before problems manifested themselves Getting back to the topic This entire situation with hal dll started about months after I had to install the new hard drive as a workaround to the problems on my older hard drive and its now happening again also about two months after I fixed my previous hal dll problem THIS IS IMPORTANT I know that reformatting repairing reinstalling XP will work but I know that I'll have the same problem down the road if I don't FIX THE CAUSE of this nightmare Anyone care to comment about my PARTICULAR situation I've read this thread http www techsupportforum com mic hlight hal dll which pointed me to this website http www kellys-korner-xp com xp haldll missing htm that states that hal dll errors are caused by dual boot situations which looks like it might apply in my situation Anyone agree Can anyone tell me anything at this point LOL Marty K

A:hal.dll boot error on "multiboot" setup

From what you said here, you only have a single installation of XP that is in use but your boot.ini file is showing 2 installations. The boot.ini file can sometimes have an effect in causing the error you are getting. Try this to correct your boot.ini file:

Insert and boot from your Windows XP CD.

Press any key to boot from CD message, press a key to start your computer from the CD.

When you receive the "Welcome to Setup" message, press R to start the Recovery Console.

Press the number that corresponds to the correct location for the installation of Windows you want to repair, typically this will be #1.

Type bootcfg /list to show the current entries in the BOOT.INI file. At this point you may get a message telling you that the boot.ini file does not exist. The next step will correct this error.

Type bootcfg /rebuild to repair it. This will scan your hard dives for installations of Windows XP, 2000 or NT and display the results. Follow the on-screen instructions to add your Windows installations to the boot.ini file.

Those step will be:
Total Identified Windows Installs: 1
(1) C:\Windows
Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All)
Type y and hit enter
Enter Load Identifier
This is the name of the operating system. When you receive this message, type the name of your operating system, and then press ENTER.
Enter OS Load options
When you receive this message, type /fastdetect, and then press ENTER.

Take out the CD ROM and type exit.

If this does not clear the hal error you can also do the following:

As above, insert and boot from your Windows XP CD.

press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD-ROM.

When you receive the "Welcome to Setup" message, press R to start the Recovery Console.

Press the number that corresponds to the correct location for the installation of Windows you want to repair

At the command prompt type: expand d:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\hal.dll. (where d: is the drive letter of your CD and c:\windows is the location for your Windows installation folder.)

If prompted for permission to overwrite an existing version of the hal.dll file select yes.

Once you have expanded the file type "exit" to exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer.

Hope this helps

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/hal-dll-boot-error-on-multiboot-setup-91564.html
Relevancy 85.57%

This is a bit of an odd issue and everyone I've asked has been stumped Every time I reboot my laptop after the loading screen it shows the quot Setup is preparing your computer for first use quot screen for about seconds before proceeding as usual I have a part time job building and imaging systems your boot use" first computer is preparing "Setup every for among other things and I can say this is identical "Setup is preparing your computer for first use" every boot to the screen very near the end of the installation process I cannot say what I could have done to cause this I seldom reboot my laptop and I had done countless things to it before the issue started including fixing the lack of recently used programs thanks to SevenForums Symptoms are identical to a few other reported cases but no solutions Examples setup is preparing your computer for first use appears every time i boot quot Setup is preparing your computer for first use "Setup is preparing your computer for first use" every boot quot One interesting thing is that this issue has rendered safe mode but not recovery "Setup is preparing your computer for first use" every boot mode useless The quot preparing for first use quot screen comes up just after Windows loads the core files except a dialog box informs me that it cannot continue in safe mode and requires a restart This proves that whatever is commanding the process to start is doing it along with the core windows startup and this could make things very hard to reverse Some people have brought the issue on themselves by running quot msoobe exe quot and it's quite likely this is the program being executed every time I tried removing the file making a backup obviously but explorer can't do it And I can't get into safe mode I have tried system restore startup restore uninstalling and reinstalling SP not that I was blaming it and other obvious remedies This issue has no effect on the computer's normal running other than boot time but it's a pain in the ass and I think the fact it's broken safe mode is a cause for concern I've gone on enough but really the point is HELP ME TIA

A:"Setup is preparing your computer for first use" every boot

Quote:
I have tried system restore, startup restore, uninstalling and reinstalling SP1 (not that I was blaming it) and other obvious remedies.

but you haven't tried repair install. Try that too.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/159454-setup-preparing-your-computer-first-use-every-boot.html
Relevancy 85.14%

Hello all - Trying to install windows on a different partition to multi-boot with windows xp sp Downloaded the quot - x fre client en-us Retail Ultimate-GRMCULFRER EN DVD iso quot file and burned a DVD Booted from the disc and all loading" Stuck "Setup at is :-( screen.. went well with the quot press any key to boot from CD or DVD quot quot setup is copying files quot Post this screen the windows logo appeared and it took about minutes for the screen where you choose your language etc to appear Then comes trouble The screen remained idle for Stuck at "Setup is loading" screen.. :-( about another minutes before the quot Setup is loading quot appeared and it stops here forever pls help Note I tried installing from my pen drive as well but the same exact result The information requested as below Current Operating System pre-install Do you have a single OS on your computer are you planning on multi-booting with this installation - Yes Are you multi-booting now - NoCurrent Hardware How many internal hard drives HD are connected to your system - One Are they IDE or SATA SATA How many DVD drives are connected to your system - One Are they IDE or SATA Drives - IDE Any external HDs used - No Are they connected by USB or eSATA - NA Check Disk Management for any HDs listed with a yellow triangle and explanation point - Checked and none found Is this a New Clean HD - No Have you pre-formatted the HD - Yes the partition im trying to install Windows on is an empty GB NTFS partition Windows installation details Which build number and version of Windows are you installing - - x fre client en-us Retail Ultimate-GRMCULFRER EN DVD iso Are you installing a bit x or bit x OS - bit Where did you get the ISO file from www mydigitallife infoInstallation Media Using a USB memory key - Tried this one too From another partition or hard disk - No From a DVD - YesThe procedure and speed of burning the ISO to DVD has been the most frequent cause of installation failure How did you burn the DVD Briefly describe the steps you used - Inserted a blank DVD into the writer just clicked the ISO and clicked Next Which ISO burning software did you use - Nero startsmart At what burning speed and with Verify checked - x Other Any Over Clocking of the RAM or CPU - No

A:Stuck at "Setup is loading" screen.. :-(

Anybody any suggestions? I have seen a couple of threads with the same problem but no solution has been mentioned there as well

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/28682-stuck-setup-loading-screen.html
Relevancy 84.71%

I recently downloaded the PC game Sacred 2 via direct2drive - and when executing the Sacred 2 Installer .exe it gives me the error, "This installation package could not be opened. Contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package." (I've attached an image of the error to this post) I've downloaded this thing multiple times to make sure the download wasn't corrupted. I have full administrative rights on this OS with the UAC disabled. I've tried running it in compatibility mode, I've tried searching for a download for Windows Installer to reinstall, and I've tried creating an alternate Administrative Profile on this computer and installing it in that account - no dice. I've also scanned for any possible viruses. I'm at wits end. Paid $40 for the game and can't even play it. Any advice, suggestions, or a solution would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

A:Vista Home Premium 64-bit SP2 error:"This installation package could not be opened.."

Hi -

Are you sure the (.exe) isn't a 32-bit file?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vista-home-premium-64-bit-sp2-error-this-installation-package-could-not-be-opened-380362.html
Relevancy 84.71%

Hi all I am having trouble installing my copy of Vista Home Premium -Bit I ran an evalutation version of Vista Home Premium and then formatted the HDD using an OEM copy of Home Premium I bought I formatted before the trial period had expired and then proceeded to install the OEM copy and the installation ran fine untill it rebooted for about the second time after which the screen displayed Completing installation at which point the progress bar at the bottom froze The DVD stopped spining although I think I could still hear the HDD whirring After half an hour or so I got a blue screen display Installation Error Crash, VISTA "c000021a" Premium Home 32-Bit which said quot STOP ERROR c a NT initial command process system process terminated unexpectedly with status of x x x quot It then began a crash dump and rebooted after several minutes I have since Installed Windows XP Pro which installs fine - no errors and repeated the OEM Vista Installation through the XP OS - but to no avail the same error occurs Now that I am running the Vista Installation through XP each time the error occurs and my PC reboots my BIOS asks me to select VISTA 32-Bit Home Premium Installation Crash, Error "c000021a" which option to boot - Windows XP or - Windows SETUP The XP option works fine and brings me back into fully functioning XP OS note that I didn t format HDD I installed Vista on the same partitian - all XP files were to be moved to quot windows old quot file after Installation completes according to Vista Installation The Windows SETUP option takes me back into Vista Installation where I recieve the message quot Installation cannot complete as your computer unexpectedly restarted quot or similar verbage I know vista will work on my machine as the Windows Vista Upgrade adviser says my machine is more than capable and the fact that I ran an evaluation copy of Vista Home Premiuim before hand is proof that my machine can take it for those of you wondering why I didn t just purchase a key from windows when the trial period expired instead of buying an OEM copy and then installing that well its because I thought I could get it cheaper via OEM than paying Microsoft s prices online from their site Now I have tried booting from DVD after backing up my files safely on my nd HDD and formatting my st HDD the one with XP OS on it and tried the Vista Installation but the same error occurs I have tried re-installing XP and running Vista Installation through XP withought any drivers installed and I still get the same BSD blue screen display I have tried re-installing XP and running Vista Installation through XP WITH drivers core drivers installed but arguably not the latest drivers as I only used the drivers supplied with my hard ware and I still get the same BSD I have uprgraded my BIOS - but still the same BSD From browsing other forums I have heard that this could either be A a hardware issue B a Graphics Card issue C Memory Issue - something to do with Kernals D a Driver issue more than one of the possible causes may apply - so I ve heard I read that MEMTEST can determine whether memory is to fault however Rookie System Builder I may be - but Advances BIOS manipulator I am not In order to run memtest you must download it from their site www memtest com as either bootable ISO or Binary neither of which I know how to execute in BIOS I also picked up that removing one of my RAM modules can remove the error - quite how reduceing dual channel to one channel can fix the error I don t know - but I will give it a go if alternative methods fail Apparently a SETUP repair could hold the answer Apparently removing the DVD just before the crash could be the answer Microsoft Web site don t seem to offer many answers other than check your drivers ect I know there are about a million and one similar cases to mine but I stress the word similar as they usually refer to Winlogon troubles I have no idea if this is a Csrss exe error or what i dont even know w... Read more

A:VISTA 32-Bit Home Premium Installation Crash, Error "c000021a"

P.S - If you cant find my PC specs under my user, here they are;

MOBO: ASUS Striker Extreme
CPU: Intel Core 2 DUo E6600
RAM: 2gb Corsair Dominator DDR2 800 (2 x 1GB Sticks)
GPU: ASUS EN8800GTX (768mb DDR3)
HDD: 2 x Western Digital 320Gb Sata 7200rpm 16mb cache
PSU: 650W Thermaltake ToughPower
SCRN: Samsung 20" 206BW (wide screen 16:9/16:10)

P.S I also read that another method of fixing the problem could be to turn off caching in BIOS - will this work?

Gormless_Git

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-32-bit-home-premium-installation-crash-error-c000021a.644825/
Relevancy 84.71%

Hi I had Two partitions in my Hard disk mainly c: and d: , of Hp(dv2122tu) Laptop(120gb hdd, 1gb ram,1.63 Ghz)
In C: drive Windows Xp media center was installed, that came with the Hp laptop. And due to Virus Hijack I decided to install Vista on D: drive and did it successfully.

And then I thought I dont need Xp anymore coz it was Virus house, so I formatted that C: drive in which Xp was installed.

Ideally now my Pc should boot Vista but it gives error ''NTLDR is missing press ctrl+Alt+del to restart. Can anyone Tell what should I do?

p.s- After format of Xp from C: I have changed the D: to Active with the help of Windows98 bootable disk.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/ntldr-is-missing-after-vista-installation-and-winxp-partition-format-283369.html
Relevancy 84.71%

recently installed windows on an old Gateway x Wanted to put XP Pro back on it so went ahead booted from disk formatted the computer restarted as usual to complete installation but never made it past quot boot hangs to key installation any disk...." "press forever XP from press any key to boot from disk quot I let it sit for like an hour even though I knew time wouldn t help What could be the problem I read somewhere about pressing F when the XP cd XP installation hangs "press any key to boot from disk...." forever first loads to install SATA RAID drivers but my drives are IDE Also if I do try to quot press any key quot after the formatting has finished and the computer restarts nothing happens The only fix i ve found is to put in the windows dvd I have and reformat with it - then reboot with xp disk Then when I push quot any key quot to boot from disk the usual XP setup dialog blue screen comes up Anyone have any ideas I ve googled my brains out trying to get an answer so this is my last resort nbsp

A:XP installation hangs "press any key to boot from disk...." forever

The only thing I can think of is a bad XP Install disk although it will boot when you first install which is the only time you should "press any key".. Other than that it could be something with your keyboard not being sensed at that time, try a different keyboard. Problems like this are sometimes only solved by process of elimination.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/xp-installation-hangs-press-any-key-to-boot-from-disk-forever.134664/
Relevancy 84.71%

Hello,

I just bought myself new HW and a new SSD for my computer, and I also installed a fresh Windows 7 on the new SSD. I put my old HDD with Vista on D: and copied a couple of documents over to "my documents" folder to my C: drive + a couple of other files.

I am now cleaning up my D: drive to get rid of all the Vista files which I don't need any more, and I have stumbled over "System volume information" folder. This folder was last modified at the date I installed Windows 7 (5 days ago). Can I just remove this folder without any repercussion?

A:"System volume information" folder on my old Vista installation

It's actually a part of System Restore; the tool that allows you to set points in time to roll back your computer. The System Volume Information folder is where OS stores these points and associated information that makes them accessible.
If you're not using System Restore feature, you can delete it. I recommend you to keep it untouched.
Fore more information, refer here:
Tips Fixes & FAQs
Take Care

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/210772-system-volume-information-folder-my-old-vista-installation.html
Relevancy 84.71%

I just finished my first build yesterday and I can't install Vista premium 64 bit! It either freezes at the "Windows is loading files" screen or it gets past that and reboots? On a few occasions, it gets past this to the Windows Vista loading screen and then freezes there. Can anyone please help me?

My Specs are:
Mobo: Asrock X58 Extreme
CPU: Core i7 920
Memory: OCZ Gold 6gb (3) 2gb sticks
Video Card: Radeon 5870
PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Hard drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 750GB

A:Vista installation reboots after "Windows is loading files..."

Please have a look here http://forums.techarena.in/vista-set...ll/1035406.htm and herehttp://www.vistax64.com/vista-instal...ing-files.html make sure you try everything that is mentioned as any one of the reasons can cause this issue and therefore should not be overlooked.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vista-installation-reboots-after-windows-is-loading-files-425161.html
Relevancy 84.71%

OK this is not really a start up or boot problem only an annoyance so i boot from the not in vista recovery option" listed installation "system windows installation dvd vista loads i choose the quot repair your computer quot option the quot system recovery option quot appears and the problem is my vista home premium is not listed there so basically i can't select an installation to repair if vista installation not listed in "system recovery option" i needed to i only have one OS i notice that at the bottom of the box it says quot if you do not see your operating system listed click load drivers to load drivers for you hard disks quot do i need to load a driver for my hard drive or something or what drivers is that referring to any knowledgeable mind to explain what that means what could be casing this problem about my vista installation not listing my system works just fine I'm just concerned why vista is not listed in the quot system recovery option quot thanks vista installation not listed in "system recovery option" for any help

A:vista installation not listed in "system recovery option"

Hello Gothnezz,

I believe you are referring to step 5 in the tutorial below. If so, then you can just go ahead and click on Next to continue anyway.

System Recovery Options

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/261162-vista-installation-not-listed-system-recovery-option.html
Relevancy 84.71%

Hello First let me tell you about my system nbsp nbsp This is an Inspiron E laptop with the T Core Duo processor running at GHZ nbsp nbsp It has GB of RAM and a brand new GB Hitachi Travelstar hard drive RPM nbsp nbsp It also has the GeForce Go GS video card nbsp nbsp nbsp It previously had Windows XP Professional bit and worked fine nbsp nbsp But I have three computers in my home and home office with E1705/9400 Inspiron Windows with entries exclamation "Base Device" my under point two Devices" "Other on - Installation New System Minor for Problem yellow 7 and would like them all to work better together on my wired home network so I am upgrading all three to Windows nbsp nbsp My two desktops one is Dimension XPS and the other is Dimension XPS seem like they will be no problem to upgrade to Windows nbsp nbsp But this laptop was not listed on Dell s Windows Compatibility List nbsp nbsp However the Windows Upgrade Advisor that I downloaded and ran seemed to say that Minor Problem with New Windows 7 Installation on my Inspiron E1705/9400 - two entries for "Base System Device" under "Other Devices" with yellow exclamation point it was OK to do a clean install of bit Windows and it only Minor Problem with New Windows 7 Installation on my Inspiron E1705/9400 - two entries for "Base System Device" under "Other Devices" with yellow exclamation point had a few minor concerns where it said to check for updated drivers from the manufacturer nbsp nbsp The laptop originally came with a GB hard drive nbsp nbsp For my use that is getting very small so I decided to get the same exact RPM drive in the GB size nbsp nbsp This will allow me to do a clean install of the bit Windows OS on the new hard drive and not have to wipe the old drive to do it nbsp nbsp I can just hold onto the old HD and stick it back in whenever I might need to get something off of it So here is my minor problem nbsp nbsp After transferring a few needed items off the old hard drive I installed the new GB drive and did a clean install of the bit version of Windows nbsp nbsp nbsp I m happy to report that I had virtually no problems with the installation and everything appears to be working fine nbsp nbsp It seems a little bit more zippy than it was before and I haven t run into anything so far that doesn t seem to be working nbsp nbsp I have gone through most of the features and most everything looks great nbsp nbsp But there is one minor problem showing in the Device Manager nbsp nbsp At least I think it s a minor problem but maybe someone else can give me some input as to whether it is or not In the Device Manager List there is a category now called quot Other Devices quot and the icon shows a little white circle with a question mark in it nbsp nbsp nbsp When you expand this category you see two identical entries that say nbsp nbsp quot Base System Device quot nbsp and the icon has a yellow circle with an exclamation point in it nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp I know from previous experience that it s not a good thing to see items in the Device Manager that have a yellow circle with an exclamation point nbsp nbsp I have clicked on both of these and neither one really tells you what the device is or who made it or who s website you would go to for a driver nbsp nbsp nbsp Under the general tab it has the following information nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp Device Type nbsp nbsp nbsp - nbsp nbsp nbsp Other Devices nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp Manufacturer nbsp nbsp - nbsp nbsp Unknown nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp Location nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp - nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp PCI Bus nbsp Device nbsp Function nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp Under De... Read more

A:Minor Problem with New Windows 7 Installation on my Inspiron E1705/9400 - two entries for "Base System Device" under "Other Devices" with yellow exclamation point

BTW, I just downloaded and installed the driver pack from that ftp location and it worked, even for Windows 8.1 - 64 bit.
Thanks Steve!

Roger

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/t/19313275
Relevancy 84.28%

A customer picked up the Windows Vista Recovery virus and I could use some help with the removal procedure. I'm currently scanning with a newly created Norton Internet Security bootable CD. The scan takes a while and I don't know yet if it will fully detect and remove the problem. In case you're not familiar with it the virus blocks access to anti-malware apps, hides user data files and is active in SAFE mode. I can't find a way to get to the usual load points, such as "appdata" etc, to see find the virus EXE. I have booted with a rescue CD, but access to folders in the user profile is denied. Is there a removal FAQ for this one? TIA.

A:"Windows Vista Recovery" malware removal

See if the manual removal instructions here, will help Windows Vista Recovery and Windows 7 Recovery - Virus Solution and Removal

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/163750-windows-vista-recovery-malware-removal.html
Relevancy 84.28%

Hello I am in a bit of a hurry because I have been at someone else s house for the weekend but in short my old hard drive was unbelievably Vista at "Completing stops Installing Installation" corrupted and after spending a week trying to work with it and get the infection out I made it worse So with little time or access to computers to fix it I made the tough decsision to get a new GB hard drive and start over I was feeling optimistic about things untill when I was trying to reinstall the vista OS it stopped progressing at quot Completing Installation quot and I am not sure what I am suppose to do It s been saying that for hours and I read some articles online where people whould have it up for days So I got the new HD and the OS disc and my serial number Installing Vista stops at "Completing Installation" which I have yet to see a prompt for me to enter it into I went to Dell Tech Support but I can t get live help because my warrenty is expired So please help D edit My HD is a GB quot SATA HDD I have Vista OS bit Home nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/installing-vista-stops-at-completing-installation.930895/
Relevancy 84.28%

Hi all I have a Dell Zino HD It came with Windows bit but I would like to use that license on another computer so I want to swap in a copy of Vista that I own that is currently not in use I did a clean install of Vista and it made it all the way through the install process and when it rebooted it just stopped at a black screen with the mouse cursor arrow I can move the arrow around but it does nothing else I tried reinstalling reinstalling on a secondary partition wondering if there was something goofy with the front of the drive all to the same effect Safe mode will not boot either I have a copy of XP MCE lying around so I thought I would try that I put that in and it just got past loading the inital drivers and hit quot Starting Windows quot before I could do any input at all and then blue screened with a message that I should run CHKDSK F I got the harddrive out got it into my Windows Professional-running desktop and ran CHKDSK It found nothing wrong I ran all of Dell's harddrive checks It too found nothing wrong On a whim I tried Windows again and it worked just fine Any ideas on what on earth is going on System specs are Dell Zino HD ATI HD Integrated graphics running on VGA for this experiment GB RAM GB HDD Ghz single core AMD cpu Thanks so much guys

A:Install hangs on black screen with mouse after "Completing Installation"

Welcome,
I would prepare the HD properly, using this tutorial as a guide.
SSD / HDD : Optimize for Windows Reinstallation - Windows 7 Forums

and here is a guide for Seven installation problems.
I think that it applies to your situation, also
http://www.sevenforums.com/installat...solutions.html

http://www.vistax64.com/crashes-debugging/286949-install-hangs-black-screen-mouse-after-completing-installation.html
Relevancy 84.28%

I m trying to do a fresh install of Windows Ultimate bit but i can t get "insert boot underscore" installer. and media" boot into Win7 Cannot "flashing proper the installer to load I have access to a Xubuntu install and a OS X install The original hard drive Windows was installed on stopped working completely So I ve bought a brand new one I followed the steps I did the first time I installed Windows - converting the iso to and img with OS X s hdiutil and Cannot boot into Win7 installer. "insert proper boot media" and "flashing underscore" the dd command to burn it to a USB This time I would just get a quot please insert proper boot media quot error I went to my Xubuntu computer it s used like a chromebook - i m not a big linux guy and tried WinUSB These USB keys lead to a screen that had a flashing underscore a few spaces from the top of the screen It dawned on me that the first thing I did when I installed windows the first time was update the bios So I tried flashing a few different BIOS versions but none of them made a difference gt I really need help - I can t think of anything else to try Thank you very much TL DR Cannot boot into Win installer OS X made USB keys show quot insert proper boot media quot - Ubuntu made keys show quot flashing underscore quot - Tried different BIOS versions Win -has- worked here before Intel Core i - Quad-Core Processor GHz LGA Gigabyte GA-Z X-UD H Motherboard Gigabyte GeForce GTX Corsair GB x GB -Pin SDRAM DDR Corsair W nbsp

A:Cannot boot into Win7 installer. "insert proper boot media" and "flashing underscore"

From where did you buy Windows 7 Ultimate? Did you not get a set of two DVDs with your purchase?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-boot-into-win7-installer-insert-proper-boot-media-and-flashing-underscore.1121694/
Relevancy 84.28%

I know this has been posted before on these forums but the fixes posted were unable to fix my system so not installation. "winsrv c0000135 screen was blue SP3 found" after I figured I may as well post MY symptoms and see if I can get some advice Ok so I recently attempted to install SP and restarted my computer when prompted to and when my pc restarted all seemed to work ok The quot Professional quot word on the boot screen was removed showing that SP had c0000135 "winsrv was not found" blue screen after SP3 installation. been installed But when it loaded past the boot screen the screen went black and restarted automatically I disabled automatic restart and then received the blue screen error quot STOP c winsrv was not found quot First I followed the instructions on the microsoft kb page which told me to boot c0000135 "winsrv was not found" blue screen after SP3 installation. into recovery console and try the cd c ntservicepackuninstall spuninst method This did not work for when I enter that it says quot Directory was not found quot or something of that c0000135 "winsrv was not found" blue screen after SP3 installation. sort I also tried copying the dll from the C Windows ServicePackFiles i folder to System through recovery console using the command COPY C Windows ServicePackFiles i WINSRV DLL C Windows System WINSRV DLL When asked to overwrite I said yes It copied succesfully and I still receive the same error I tried this again but first deleted the DLL and then copied it fresh so an overwrite was not needed Still no success EDIT Reinstalling windows does not seem like an option at the moment for when i attempt to continue with a windows installation it gives me an error saying that my computer is being shut down to prevent damage I COULD format through recovery console but that means I would need to find allllll of the drivers including the correct BIOS drivers which is a hassle but if it's my only option I will use the PC here to find them and throw them on my external drive tomorrow Please if anyone knows something I can do to fix this it would be greatly appreciated The only thing I can think of is that one or more dll's associated with winsrv were also not installed correctly and it is listing as winsrv was not found because it is the parent of one or more dlls I may be wrong but it's the only thing I can think of I am in class now and will be on and off the computer every now and then but I will bookmark this thread and check back whenever I can I will print and try any fixes that I haven't tried already when I get home and can access the problem PC Thanks in advance Fate

A:c0000135 "winsrv was not found" blue screen after SP3 installation.

Hi,

You probably need 'critical update' KB885523 - try this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Hth

Jack

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/c0000135-winsrv-was-not-found-blue-screen-after-sp3-installation-310071.html
Relevancy 84.28%

I installed a new firewire card into my new Dell computer Closed the case started up the computer which recognized the new hardware Then I plugged the dv into the firewire and downloaded about minutes of video from my minidv camcorder Now after that about an hour later my screen went blue with a quot hardware malfunction quot malfunction" card blue with Firewire screen installation "hardware Solved: - message I restarted the computer and it booted up ok but about an hour later another blue screen with the same message I needed to get a lot of work done that day so I just took out the card and set it aside for now so I wouldn t have to keep restarting my computer because of the error message I have been looking over possible things to try and these are my ideas search for updated driver some kind of compatibility check dell s diagnostic check AM I on the right track to getting this card to work Solved: Firewire card installation - "hardware malfunction" with blue screen Or is there something I have missed that might correct the problem nbsp

A:Solved: Firewire card installation - "hardware malfunction" with blue screen

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-firewire-card-installation-hardware-malfunction-with-blue-screen.405232/
Relevancy 83.42%

Hi.

Im currentling installing XP on my laptop. When i insert the CD into my laptop , the "Press any key to boot from CD.." pops up. When i do so, it freezes exactly on the spot. Ive waited almost an hour for anything to show but its just the "Press any key to boot from CD.." thats there

Please help me out.

A:Windows XP Installation - " Press any key to boot from CD.."

never press any key when you see that message..so reformat again and start over..

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-xp-installation-press-any-key-to-boot-from-cd.137389/
Relevancy 82.99%

Dear friends,

I've got this big problem: when installing the windows 8, everything is fine until some point, ( everything goes as it should have, as on the other PC of mine). The setup "stops" after the configuring devices post. When it finishes configuring, the screen goes black, after which (in about 10 minutes) the PC restarts, then after Windows 8 logo everything goes black and stays that way for infinity. I left the PC on for night, nothing happens.

The 7 installs just fine, without any problems. Any suggestions?

A:Installation "hangs", nothing happens, black screen

Welcome to EightForums.

Windows 8 has incompatibility with older 64 bit Intel/AMD processors, & some Video/Graphic Cards.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/16073-installation-hangs-nothing-happens-black-screen.html
Relevancy 82.99%

Hi I think this problem was caused by a forced an operating start, to system or problem. "Choose Vista", Boot Vista shutdown I left it with a auto shutdown program and when i come back to turn it on i get this The "Choose an operating system to start, Vista or Vista", Boot problem. shutdown program has never caused this problem before though So this is the choice page http farm static flickr com bb d o jpg I've tried both and neither work they cant get past the load bar I have put the disc in Windows x Business and attempted a repair which didnt work I attempted a system restore to a few days ago and still the same problem I do however get these two screens which pop up for a split second before the above screen my camera managed to capture them This one first http farm static flickr com c e f o jpg Then this http farm static flickr com d fdf o jpg I havent changed or installed any new programs or drivers Im running a ghz quad gb of OCZ ram geforce GPU and the OS is installed on a new HD It was all running wonderfully and now nothing Please please help

A:"Choose an operating system to start, Vista or Vista", Boot problem.

Hi Aeon7944, Welcome to the vista Forums

Looks like the vista bootloader is corrupted.

have you tried the F8 key when at the menu and either the Last Known Good or the Safe Mode option?

another thing to try is a start-up repair from the Vista DVD

Startup Repair - Vista Forums

Keep us informed

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/191049-choose-operating-system-start-vista-vista-boot-problem.html
Relevancy 82.99%

Hi My scanner showed that my system was infected with these virus and I need help removing them as I have read that they are very bad Any help is greatly appreciated I have attached and pasted what I believe is required Thank you in advance Hijackthis log ------------------------------------ Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Alwil Software Avast AvastSvc exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support AppleMobileDeviceService exe C Program Files AskBarDis bar bin AskService exe C help "Win32:Alureon-er" and "badcab-k" removal needed! Program Files AskBarDis bar bin ASKUpgrade exe C Program Files Symantec LiveUpdate ALUSchedulerSvc exe C Program Files Bonjour mDNSResponder exe C Program Files Luth Research SavvyConnectFramework bin dtservice JavaInvoke exe C WINDOWS eHome "Win32:Alureon-er" and "badcab-k" removal help needed! ehRecvr exe C WINDOWS eHome ehSched exe C Documents and Settings All Users Application Data EPSON EPW SSRP E S RP EXE C Program Files Common Files Hewlett-Packard WJA Update Service HPWJAUpdateService exe C "Win32:Alureon-er" and "badcab-k" removal help needed! WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files Google Update GoogleCrashHandler exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared PIF B E DD - - c -B F- F FCA A PIFSvc exe C Program Files Common Files LogiShrd LVMVFM LVPrcSrv exe C Program Files Nero Nero Nero BackItUp NBService exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system IoctlSvc exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system PnkBstrA exe C WINDOWS system PSIService exe C WINDOWS ehome RMSvc exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Yahoo SoftwareUpdate YahooAUService exe C WINDOWS system dllhost exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared PIF B E DD - - c -B F- F FCA A PIFSvc exe C PROGRA ALWILS Avast avastUI exe C Program Files Microsoft Office Office GrooveMonitor exe C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe C Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy TeaTimer exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Microsoft ActiveSync wcescomm exe C PROGRA MI AA rapimgr exe C Program Files Comcast Universal Caller ID Comcast Universal Caller ID exe C WINDOWS system wuauclt exe C Program Files Malwarebytes Anti-Malware mbamservice exe C Program Files Malwarebytes Anti-Malware mbamgui exe C WINDOWS system igfxsrvc exe C Documents and Settings Home Local Settings Application Data Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Documents and Settings Home Local Settings Application Data Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Documents and Settings Home Local Settings Application Data Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Documents and Settings Home Local Settings Application Data Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Documents and Settings Home Local Settings Application Data Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Documents and Settings Home Local Settings Application Data Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page about blank R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - URLSearchHook AIM Toolbar Search Class - f - dc - -bc - e fefafe - C Program Files AIM Toolbar aimtb dll R - URLSearchHook no name - EB EA-E BE- CFD- F F-C A C EA... Read more

Relevancy 82.99%

Could anyone explain the differences to me.
Also, does anyone know a good piece of virus toolkit that can actually remove them as well as prevent them?

T.I.A.

A:Difference between a "virus removal tool" and a "patch"?

A virus removal tool removes the virus from your computer meaning that the file is already on your system and running, so it stops it from running and removes the file. A patch however is used to prevent bad things from being installed, usually released when big worms hit, like SoBig, MSBlast, CodeRED...etc...So patches are to prevent and removal tools are to remove files already installed.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/difference-between-a-virus-removal-tool-and-a-patch.204211/
Relevancy 82.56%

Hi Everyone Here I post OS to "AHCI" installation "IDE" XP to How mode change from am going to descibe how How to change XP from "IDE" to "AHCI" mode post OS installation to change Windows XP from using quot IDE quot to quot AHCI quot mode post OS installation If your looking to install an SSD into a Windows XP computer you will likely find these instructions invaluable Most XP computers due to their vintage are running in quot IDE quot mode and it turns out that SSDs perform best when running in quot AHCI quot mode The root of what follows comes from these instructions so credit to those who deserve it Also thanks go out to Alexoiu who pointed me in the right direction here INSTRUCTIONS Download the appropriate SATA driver from your motherboard manufacturers site the file is typically quite small mine was under Mb Extract the file to your hard drive Locate the ahcix sys file you may need to uncheck quot Hide extensions for known file types quot in order to see the correct file Copy ahcix sys Paste ahcix sys into System Drivers typcially C Windows System Drivers Download Add AHCI to XP Post Installation reg to a convenient location Double click on the Registry file to install it Click on quot Yes quot when the screen below is presented - Click on quot OK quot when the screen below is presented - Shutdown Turn the computer on whilst tapping on DEL F Relevant Key per motherboard to enter the BIOS settings Set the BIOS IDE mode to AHCI it was likely set to IDE or Legacy IDE Exit the BIOS saving changes this results in the computer rebooting again Once Windows XP starts you will be prompted to install drivers - a Check quot No not this time quot when the screen below is presented - b Click on quot Next quot c Uncheck quot Search removable media d Check quot Include this location in the search quot e Click on Browse f Navigate to the folder which contains ahcix sys Same file as Step g Click on OK h Click on Next i Follow any prompts to install that may be presented j Once the driver is installed successfully you will see the screen below or one that is similar depending on your chipset - k Click on quot Finish quot Reboot your computer one last time If you don t reboot straight away XP will often prompt you to reboot shortly after the ahcix sys driver is installed Congratulation you are now running in AHCI mode and can enjoy the full potential of your SSD Kind Regards Davo P S Paragon Migrate OS to SSD is excellent software for migrating from mechanical drives to SSDs I have personally used it on at least computers of those were Windows and one was Windows XP on all occasions the software has performed flawlessly I am not associated with Paragon but praise is deserved for this software package nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-change-xp-from-ide-to-ahci-mode-post-os-installation.1106746/
Relevancy 82.56%

Hi Everyone to post OS "IDE" from mode installation XP change How to "AHCI" Here I am going to descibe how to change Windows XP from using quot IDE quot to quot AHCI quot mode post OS installation If your looking to install an SSD into a Windows XP computer you will likely find these instructions invaluable Most XP computers due to their vintage are running in quot IDE quot mode and it turns out that SSDs perform best How to change XP from "IDE" to "AHCI" mode post OS installation when running in quot AHCI quot mode The root of what follows comes from these instructions so credit to those who deserve it Also thanks go out to Alexoiu who pointed me in the right direction here INSTRUCTIONS Download the appropriate SATA driver from your motherboard manufacturers site the file is typically quite small mine was under Mb Extract the file to How to change XP from "IDE" to "AHCI" mode post OS installation your hard drive Locate the ahcix sys file you may need to uncheck quot Hide extensions for known file types quot in order to see the correct file Copy ahcix sys Paste ahcix sys into System Drivers typcially C Windows System Drivers Download Add AHCI to XP Post Installation reg to a convenient location Double click on the Registry file to install it Click on quot Yes quot when the screen below is presented - Click on quot OK quot when the screen below is presented - Shutdown Turn the computer on whilst tapping on DEL F Relevant Key per motherboard to enter the BIOS settings Set the BIOS IDE mode to AHCI it was likely set to IDE or Legacy IDE Exit the BIOS saving changes this results in the computer rebooting again Once Windows XP starts you will be prompted to install drivers - a Check quot No not this time quot when the screen below is presented - b Click on quot Next quot c Uncheck quot Search removable media d Check quot Include this location in the search quot e Click on Browse f Navigate to the folder which contains ahcix sys Same file as Step g Click on OK h Click on Next i Follow any prompts to install that may be presented j Once the driver is installed successfully you will see the screen below or one that is similar depending on your chipset - k Click on quot Finish quot Reboot your computer one last time If you don't reboot straight away XP will often prompt you to reboot shortly after the ahcix sys driver is installed Congratulation you are now running in AHCI mode and can enjoy the full potential of your SSD Kind Regards Davo P S Paragon Migrate OS to SSD is excellent software for migrating from mechanical drives to SSDs I have personally used it on at least computers of those were Windows and one was Windows XP on all occasions the software has performed flawlessly I am not associated with Paragon but praise is deserved for this software package

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/how-to-change-xp-from-ide-to-ahci-mode-post-os-installation-705170.html
Relevancy 81.7%

In Windows XP, fully updated, I have several folders full of mp3's and want to see the bit rate and duration. I right click on a column heading and select "Bit rate". I then click on "More..." so I can get to "Duration", and I select that one too.

But all the figures in the "Duration" column appear to be in "hours" and "minutes", so I see "00:04" or "00:03", but what I want is "minutes" and "seconds".

Any thoughts as to how to change this?

A:Solved: Windows Explorer "Duration" Column - no "Seconds", just "Hours" and "Minutes"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-windows-explorer-duration-column-no-seconds-just-hours-and-minutes.693037/
Relevancy 81.7%

I have searched on trying to remove the quot To Do quot and quot Aurora quot and quot nail exe quot files but what I have tried has not worked Here is my HJT log file Any help would be greatly appreciated I can t get any work done with all these pop ads Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS System brsvc a exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS System brss a exe C and Do" "nail.exe" "Aurora" "To removal! and WINDOWS System GEARSec exe C WINDOWS System egovjbm hdjfdwpv exe C WINDOWS System roknpkt jaopfjaq exe c Program Files Norton AntiVirus navapsvc exe C Program Files Photodex ProShowGold ScsiAccess "To Do" and "Aurora" and "nail.exe" removal! exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS System "To Do" and "Aurora" and "nail.exe" removal! Tablet exe C Program Files PowerQuest Drive Image Agent PQV iSvc exe C WINDOWS Explorer exe C WINDOWS System MsPMSPSv exe C windows system hpsysdrv exe C WINDOWS System hkcmd exe C HP KBD KBD EXE C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe C WINDOWS system dla tfswctrl exe C WINDOWS System igfxtray exe C Program Files ScanSoft PaperPort pptd nt exe C Program Files ScanSoft PaperPort PPScheduler exe C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe C Program Files PC TechZone AuctionMagic Snipe exe C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI HYDRAVISION HydraMD exe C Program Files m iurk m iurk exe C WINDOWS ANCGDLL EXE C WINDOWS HAYZENC EXE C WINDOWS System smcj qqft exe C WINDOWS System viwvqtw enuxl exe C Program Files Microsoft AntiSpyware gcasServ exe C WINDOWS System woquwp nqye exe C WINDOWS System hroxkhe fbkkddyv exe C Program Files BillP Studios WinPatrol winpatrol exe C WINDOWS system eeeee exe C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Distillr AcroTray exe C Program Files Common Files Intuit QuickBooks QBUpdate qbupdate exe C WINDOWS system WTablet TabUserW exe C WINDOWS System vllslfo bsgvfn exe c Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccEvtMgr exe C Program Files m iurk exe C Program Files Microsoft AntiSpyware gcasDtServ exe C WINDOWS system NOTEPAD EXE C WINDOWS System wuauclt exe C Program Files Internet Explorer IEXPLORE EXE C WINDOWS system NOTEPAD EXE C killbox virus killer hijackthis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer SearchURL http searchmiracle com sp php R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Default www google com R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http qus hpwis com R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http srch-qus hpwis com R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page www google com R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page www digitalweddingforum com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http srch-qus hpwis com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page www google com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page www digitalweddingforum com R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Connection Wizard ShellNext http qus hpwis com R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride localhost R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Toolbar LinksFolderName F - REG system ini Shell Explorer exe C WINDOWS Nail exe O - HKLM Run hpsysdrv c windows system hpsysdrv exe O - HKLM Run HotKeysCmds C WINDOWS System hkcmd exe O - HKLM Run KBD C HP KBD KBD EXE O - HKLM Run TkBellExe quot C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe quot -osboot O - HKLM Run Recguard C WINDOWS SMINST RECGUARD EXE O - HKLM Run ccApp quot c Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp ... Read more

Relevancy 81.27%

Hello everyone First of all I will divide my statement by sections so it would be easier to read Section The problem - description of it Section How I manage the problem "loading cursor" Black no on screen and screen with login Boot. Section Things and methods that I have tried - all unsuccessfully Section My own findings to help with further analysis So here we go Section Whenever I start windows it will boot normally up Black screen with "loading cursor" and no login screen on Boot. until Windows logo screen where balls meet to form windows logo at this logo screen I can already notice slow pace as it stays in it for a good minute Afterwards it will be just black screen for a minute Then mouse cursor will appear with faster sensitivity than my usual and it will transform into a loading wheel cursor after another minute And now it reached state in which it can stay for hours Only black screen and loading mouse wheel note that it is always spinning and I can always move it it is not frozen Section So the only way for me to login is to leave it be for at least about hours and it will start itself Usually I do this overnight and in the morning it is already at the desktop and works like nothing ever happened I can do whatever then everything will work perfectly fine Crysys works fine YouTube works fine - no trace of any problem So while I can always just Hibernate and sleep my PC I need to restart it sometimes EDIT Now after those hours or more it will simply display ordinary mouse pointer on a black screen and act as if I am in login screen For example it will sleep after mins of no movement and instantly wake up on activity Section So far I have tried those methods Clean boot All of F advanced boot options Only safe mode and repair windows work sfc scannow in Safe Mode Uninstalling video card driver and reinstalling with the latest compatible CCleaner while in normal mode Other anti virus and malware softwares Windows restore no back up point Deleting network drivers Reinstalling them Disabling all network related devices in the Device Manager Section While Fail Safe mode works neatly Fail safe mode with networking support loads but freezes after about seconds And won't unfreeze only mouse will be movable but everything will be irresponsive and will give me errors like shown on the post here below in the replies It appears to be happened after I downloaded windows update for Virtual machine support During the update I went away from my laptop when I left it was restarting itself to apply updates and when I came back hour later I found my laptop on the same black screen with loading mouse cursor I waited minutes more and forcefully restarted it And it was black screen again Since then I have uninstalled everything regarding that update and virtual machine through programs and features in the windows updates tab There were few times when I saw a BSOD after black screen stood for about hours But was unable to read them fast enough Sometimes the laptop monitor will change its brightness during black screen The laptop will restart itself after about hour of black screen and go into it again --- EDITs Sorry for the edits guys I am using Android to write this and I want my post to look both informative and easy to read --- I usually solve problems like this myself through hardcore researching and analysis but I fail on this one Thank you everyone who will try to help and suggest anything Thank you for your time ExacT

A:Black screen with "loading cursor" and no login screen on Boot.

It sounds like something is trying to load and run in the background.
Download DDS from one of these links:
DDS.com
DDS.pifDisable any script blocking protection
Double click the dds icon to run the tool.
When done, DDS will open two (2) logs: DDS.txt
Attach.txt <--- will be minimized in the task tray

Save both reports to your desktop.
Include the contents of both logs in your next post.
The scan will instruct you to post Attach.txt as an attachment. You can post both logs as attachments.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/344159-black-screen-loading-cursor-no-login-screen-boot.html
Relevancy 81.27%

I was having problems with my Maple Story, so I un-installed and re-downloaded the program. However, when I tried to open the setup wizard, it gave me the error:

Error reading setup initialization file

I looked online for troubleshooting solutions, and I have so far found two options:

-Re-download because the error could be the result of a failed download that wasn't identified when the file was downloaded.

-Find and delete old files that could be stopping the file from being reaad properly.

I need help with the second solution, as in how I search for those files. Also, any other solutions for this problem would be much appreciated.

A:"Error reading setup initialization file" for Maple Story Setup

test reply

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/error-reading-setup-initialization-file-for-maple-story-setup.538652/
Relevancy 80.84%

I'm trying to fix my brother's computer after he opened a trojan attached to an email The email was the one saying your credit card had been charged Mode screen detected" "Spyware and "Black Screen" Safe for airline tickets The computer is a Dell Dimension running Windows XP SP The first problem is that after normal login there is a blue screen with a yellow window in the window with the message quot Warning Spyware detected on your computer Install an antivirus or spyware remover to clean your computer quot There are no icons visible The only action I can perform is CTL-ALT-DEL to bring up the Windows Task Manager I told my brother to start in Safe Mode from which he scanned the computer using AVG Free Edition which was installed before the infection This did not fix the problem Starting Safe Mode I now get a black screen with Safe Mode "Black Screen" and "Spyware detected" screen Safe Mode in the corners and the operating system name at top The blue login screen then comes up with Administrator and my brothers account I click on Administrator and I get the same black screen as before with Safe Mode in the corners and the writing at top My brothers account does the same There are no icons or Start button visible Again the only program I can bring up is the Windows Task Manager Using that I managed to install and run SmitfraudFix which was given as a solution to quot Spyware detected quot screen After rebooting this did not fix the problem I also installed SpyHunter which found Zlob Trojan Rogue AntivirusXP plus some other spyware cookies and files These were removed from the computer Unfortunately this did not remove the Start Mode black screen and quot Spyware detected quot screens The only thing I can find to do next is a Windows XP repair using the Windows XP install CDROM However before I try that is there anything else you could recommend to get rid of these screens

A:Safe Mode "Black Screen" and "Spyware detected" screen

Anyone want to answer this?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/safe-mode-black-screen-and-spyware-detected-screen-282897.html
Relevancy 80.84%

Hey folks My first post on here but I problem card failure a sound "meddling"... boot just "beep" tone. after Desktop m in serious trouble Desktop boot problem after sound card "meddling"... just a "beep" failure tone. I got a quot new quot to me anyway desktop running XP today and found the audio hardware wasn t working So I pillaged an old machine for its sound card and inserted that onto the motherboard Also connected the Aux and CD lines to the top of the daughterboard Since then to my horror the machine has failed to boot All plugged in keyboard working screen on and being used on another box for this very post All I get now is the usual chirps from the internal soundcard followed by a few very low notes definitely depressing so I guess they re suggesting something s failed There s no further action from the CPU the fan still works but there is no screen output whatever Have I fried the motherboard without realising Also ironically the last failure tone was delivered by my speakers through the originally non-responsive audio hardware I d love a bit of help on this one because my knowledge of computers insidey bits is pretty poor Many thanks Joe nbsp

A:Desktop boot problem after sound card "meddling"... just a "beep" failure tone.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/desktop-boot-problem-after-sound-card-meddling-just-a-beep-failure-tone.666097/
Relevancy 80.84%

As this question was never answered I ll post it verbatim with my own comments below See original post here http forums techguy org windows-vista -flash-drive-s-active-light html In all "active" doesn't when off Vista turn drive's removed" light Flash in "safely operating systems up Flash drive's "active" light doesn't turn off in Vista when "safely removed" to Vista the flash drive s quot active quot light turns off when I go Flash drive's "active" light doesn't turn off in Vista when "safely removed" through the disconnect procedure but in Vista it doesn t I have traditionally used this as part of my explanation to others and a convenience to myself about when to not to remove the flash drive from its USB port This is a problem common to all Vista systems I ve seen Why does the light not turn off in Vista And is there an easy way to correct Flash drive's "active" light doesn't turn off in Vista when "safely removed" this Additional information I have eliminated this problem being hardware-related I have loaded Vista onto one of my systems here that previously had Windows then XP on it and it was only with the loading of Vista that the problem developed on this system Just to be absolutely sure I did a restore of a previous image of Windows and the problem went away again I put Vista back on and the problem came back So this is strictly a Vista problem Click to expand I have had the same problem with every Vista system I have used and every flash drive note this means SSD NAND flash not HDD s or card adapters AS the last discussion degraded into useless questions about hardware and other OS s let s get a confirmation that someone out there actually has a flash drive that turns its active light off when safely removed in Vista If not can anyone answer the questions below Why would they change this from all previous OS versions Why does the quot safe to remove quot have a confirmation box that must be OK d when XP merely played a set sound Is this just another backwards step windows is taking to justify quot improvements quot with the next version nbsp

A:Flash drive's "active" light doesn't turn off in Vista when "safely removed"

have done a litte research and testing in my lab on several machines and have confirmd the problem. What it seems to indicate to me is that, in Vista, the light simply indicates power, not data transfer. Whenever I am transferring data, the light blinks.

While I have never actually tested it, I do not belive that the "safely remove" feature actually kills all power to the USB port in XP. If that is the case, then there is really no danger as long as vista has acknowledged the disconnect and knows not to try to write data to the drive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/flash-drives-active-light-doesnt-turn-off-in-vista-when-safely-removed.776056/
Relevancy 80.84%

hello, let's just get to the point, i had this problem recently where my pc can load windows, it keep looping
pc's on - booting - then "Windows Loading Files" - restart
it's infinite i don't know what to do, i don't have a cd rom, and i can't reinstall my windows from USB because every time i tried it says : "disk error" or "disk read error"
even after i burn it to USB correctly, tried this on other pc and USB can load just fine.
i'm thinking, it's something wrong with my boot system in System Reserved, is there anyway i can do to fix this?

A:"Windows Loading Files" infinite loop, Can't Boot USB "disk error"

Hi,

Have you tried changing the boot sequence inside the BIOS?

Normally pressing F2 or F12 on the computer will solve this.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/366393-windows-loading-files-infinite-loop-cant-boot-usb-disk-error.html
Relevancy 80.84%

I am running Windows XP SP fully updated on an Acer Explorer Column Windows no "Minutes" "Seconds", "Hours" just "Duration" - and lap top PC I have several folders full of mp 's and want to Windows Explorer "Duration" Column - no "Seconds", just "Hours" and "Minutes" see the bit rate and Windows Explorer "Duration" Column - no "Seconds", just "Hours" and "Minutes" duration To Windows Explorer "Duration" Column - no "Seconds", just "Hours" and "Minutes" do this I right click on a column heading and select quot Bit rate quot I then click on quot More quot so I can get to quot Duration quot and I select that one too The two new columns appear but the format of the quot Duration quot column appears to be quot hours minutes quot so I see quot quot or quot quot for most mp 's when what I want to see is 'hours minutes seconds quot e g quot quot This also happens for video files avi files e g all my episodes of quot Heroes quot sad I know have a duration of quot quot instead of quot xx quot Here are two pictures showing the problem with the mp 's The first is of Explorer showing the Duration as quot Hours Minutes quot The second picture is of the properties window of the first mp in the list above I copied some mp files to another old PC on my home network and it displayed the duration field correctly Also the properties window correctly shows the duration also I'm not the only person to have this problem I received a private message from a member of another forum where I posted about this problem several weeks ago That person also has the same problem with the duration field The tech guys on that forum were unable to find the source of the duration field problem But after I had such a great success on this forum with my hard disk problem here I decided to try to get help here Thanks in advance for any suggestions

A:Windows Explorer "Duration" Column - no "Seconds", just "Hours" and "Minutes"

* bump *

Tricky, this one!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-explorer-duration-column-no-seconds-just-hours-and-minutes-253928.html
Relevancy 80.41%

I have had this problem numerous times in the past where the installation proceeds "cannot installation device." specified" the "during find file the the of then ends with the messages During "cannot find the file specified" "during the installation of the device." the installation of the device The system cannot find the file specified and it goes into a detection loop HERE is the solution Windows XP has a bug that it cannot properly detect new hardware by inf "cannot find the file specified" "during the installation of the device." files if the RunOnce registry key "cannot find the file specified" "during the installation of the device." is missing for the following location HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion This key is often used by installers to execute post-reboot programs but sometimes they accidentally delete this key IMPORTANT This article contains information about modifying the registry Make sure that you understand how to backup and restore the registry in case a problem occurs Please read the linked Microsoft Knowledge Base article prior to editing the registry Go to Start Run and enter quot regedit quot Go to HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion With CurrentVersion Highlighted go to the Edit menu and select New Key Name the key RunOnce leaving everything else about the key alone The RunOnce key should now exist underneath the CurrentVersion key Once the key exists Windows XP stops redetecting the Hardware nbsp

A:"cannot find the file specified" "during the installation of the device."

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-find-the-file-specified-during-the-installation-of-the-device.235959/
Relevancy 80.41%

This screen came up after i deleted Nero through ad/delete and restarted my pc ,and i cannot get it to boot from cdrom despite changing the boot up sequence in BIOS..any ideas please??

A:blue screen at boot up "Unmountable-boot-volume"

This from TeckTips4U

"When booting up to Win XP you may get a error that reads "Unmountable Boot Volume". This is probably because your boot.ini file is messed up.

You can boot with your the XP CD and when you see the "Welcome to setup" screen press the letter R
You will get a dos-type prompt
Then type chkdsk /p (note the space before /p)and hit Enter
When that is done type fixboot and hit Enter
Y and Enter at the prompt
Then type exit and hit Enter
The system will now reboot into Windows

If for some reason that don't work for you, you can boot to the recovery console like above and...
Type chkdsk /r (note the space before /r) then enter
When done type "exit" and hit enter.
This will take longer, but the system should boot back into Windows."

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/blue-screen-at-boot-up-unmountable-boot-volume.383898/
Relevancy 80.41%

I just installed a new 60gb hard drive as a back up to put my movie files on,it installed fine and it works fine but i get "windows milenium emergancy boot" when i boot the system up .I don"t know if this error is serious but I do know that the system seems less stable in this boot mode..can someone please help? thanx

A:after installing new "hard drive" it starts with "windows emergency boot"

closing duplicate, view this thread
http://forums.techguy.org/t76279/s5b1a29d68c715c9a36d25291025adddb.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/after-installing-new-hard-drive-it-starts-with-windows-emergency-boot.76282/
Relevancy 80.41%

I want to know if I can import/export my Vista Mail settings from my laptop to my desktop PC?

I'm not talking about the contacts which is easy but rather all of the blocked senders/domains lists and quite a few "rules" I've set up.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/export-rules-block-sender-domains-from-vista-mail.637048/
Relevancy 80.41%

Hi Everyone,

i am using CRichEditCtrl::GetLine() function to read the text from a dialog.
If my text contains any space character then it is throwing improper argument error and the application getting closed in vista only.....
What is the actual problem ????? why it is happening with vista only...?

Please suggest

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/266580-space-character-making-improper-argument-error-vista.html
Relevancy 80.41%

I used to have the videogame Medieval Total War on my new alienware laptop and it was fully functioning I ended up deleteing it because I thought it was taking display setup a VGA to adapter "Try driver standard with setup"?? your before running up too much space Now I can install it but when I "Try to setup your display adapter with a standard VGA driver before running setup"?? try to run the actual "Try to setup your display adapter with a standard VGA driver before running setup"?? game I immediately get a message saying quot Medieval II Total War has encountered an unspecified error and will now exit quot and after reading through forums I saw a comment "Try to setup your display adapter with a standard VGA driver before running setup"?? about someone having this problem and fixing it by downloading the latest ATI graphics I think I might know the problem but I am clueless as to how one goes about fixing it A few days before I found out about this site and managed to find the virus that was slowing my internet I was quite frustrated by the slow loading speed of my internet so I opened task manager and began ending random processes I realize now this was not a good idea I think I may have done something to ATI When I try to run the ATI setup which has been on my computer the whole time I reach the ATI Display Driver when it tells me quot Setup did not find a driver compatible with your current hardware or operating system quot then after clicking OK i received the message quot Try to setup your display adapter with a standard VGA driver before running setup quot nbsp

A:"Try to setup your display adapter with a standard VGA driver before running setup"??

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/try-to-setup-your-display-adapter-with-a-standard-vga-driver-before-running-setup.688711/
Relevancy 80.41%

I used to have the videogame Medieval Total War on my new alienware laptop using Windows XP and it was fully functioning I ended up deleteing it because I thought it was taking up too much space Now I can install it but when I try to run the actual game I immediately get a message saying quot Medieval II Total War has encountered an unspecified error with to setup"?? adapter your "Try standard running setup before driver a VGA display and will now exit quot and after reading through forums I saw a comment about "Try to setup your display adapter with a standard VGA driver before running setup"?? someone having this problem and fixing it by downloading the latest ATI graphics I think I might know the problem but I am clueless as to how one goes about fixing it A few days before I found out about this site and managed to find the virus that was slowing my internet I was quite frustrated by the slow loading speed of my internet so I opened task manager and began ending random processes I realize now this was not a good idea I think I may have done something to ATI When I try to run the ATI setup which has been on my computer the whole time I reach the ATI Display Driver when it tells me quot Setup did not find a driver compatible with your current hardware or operating system quot then after clicking OK i received the message quot Try to setup your display adapter with a standard VGA driver before running setup quot nbsp

A:"Try to setup your display adapter with a standard VGA driver before running setup"??

You most likely need to get the mobile graphics driver. You can get it at.

http://support.alienware.com/Support_Pages/Restricted_Pages/driver_downloads.aspx

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/try-to-setup-your-display-adapter-with-a-standard-vga-driver-before-running-setup.689317/
Relevancy 79.98%

What is the difference between the "windows vista standard" and "windows vista basic" color schemes (under windows color and appearance > open classic appearance options)? They both look exactly the same to me.

A:Vista color schemes: "vista standard" vs "vista basic"

Technically they are not the same if you look at your close, minimize and maximize and the color scheme they are different.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/212449-vista-color-schemes-vista-standard-vs-vista-basic.html
Relevancy 79.98%

This has been frustrating me for the past few hours I tend to run a minecraft server on my year old toshiba laptop Now this problem I have encountered a few times before and was resolved by using system restore However this time there are no restore points What happened was i turned moved the laptop from my couch to my room and turned it hangs "welcome" screen Windows on login vista screen on It attempted to run Windows vista hangs on "welcome" login screen screen startup fix or whatever it is called which i thought was odd but i let it continue It kept going and i fell asleep I woke in the morning to find my laptop off someone else may have shut it off I'm not sure and when i attempted to turn it on it took me to the regular screen booted normally but then hung with nothing but a mouse on black Windows vista hangs on "welcome" login screen screen I restarted a few times to have the same problem Now it tends Windows vista hangs on "welcome" login screen screen to go to the wolcom screen but hangs on the little blue vista loading wheel beside the word quot Welcome quot Safe mode doesnt work Lists all the processes its starting then freezes and restarts leaving it to T the startup fix doesn't work I've tried using regedit to fix it tried to open task manager tried to run with nothing put the charger plugged in and several other things I can sometimes get it to go to just a movable cursor on a black screen but i still cant open task manager I dont have the vista disk but i can wipe it without losing my os Dont really want to do this as i will lose everything The last program i installed was rainmeter but i was able to start the computer several times with it running Starting with last known config will not work Here are some of the specs from memory Intel ghz processor years old fairly bad condition no battery no graphics card non working built in wifi I use an external device Bit Thats all i can remember Im happy to provide other details Keep in mind I'm pretty technologically challenged Thanks Anyone who can fix it will forever be my idol Thanks again P S It's now stuck on a screen saying quot Please wait quot with the blue vista loading wheel next to it Its just like the welcome screen Blue vista background

A:Windows vista hangs on "welcome" login screen screen

Also it seems to become stuck on the screen with the green loading bar with "(c) Microsoft" below.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-vista-hangs-on-welcome-login-screen-screen-577570.html
Relevancy 79.55%

Dear Tech Support Guy I am new to your community thank you for welcome me I am running Windows XP professional Version SP on a AMD Athlon GHz processor with GB of Ram My computer knowledge is basic to intermediate I found your site because I had have the same problem as junior member rolland with the above title He posted his problem on Apr and Senior Member Egg answered Apr I also followed the steps suggested by Egg as well and I am not sure but I think there is still a virus Do" and removal! "nail.exe" and To "Aurora" in my system as my Norton Antivirus detects still a virus and delete it and then after another scan there is again one I also downloaded several tools that Egg suggested and i ran Hijackthat HJT Could you help me please to analyze my HJT logfile below Also what is Find It s There was such a scan from rolland on Apr How can I do this Find It To Do" and "Aurora" and "nail.exe" removal! s scan Thank you all so much in advance for help and sorry for my bad English i am German Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes G WINDOWS System smss exe G WINDOWS system winlogon exe G WINDOWS system services exe G WINDOWS system lsass exe G WINDOWS system svchost exe G WINDOWS System svchost exe G Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccProxy exe G Program Files Common Files To Do" and "Aurora" and "nail.exe" removal! Symantec Shared ccSetMgr exe G Program Files Norton Internet Security ISSVC exe G Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared SNDSrvc exe G Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared SPBBC SPBBCSvc exe G Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccEvtMgr exe G WINDOWS system spoolsv exe G WINDOWS Explorer EXE G WINDOWS system ctfmon exe G Program Files Microsoft IntelliPoint point exe G Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe G Program Files Norton Internet Security Norton AntiVirus navapsvc exe G Program Files Microsoft AntiSpyware gcasDtServ exe G Program Files Analog Devices SoundMAX SMAgent exe G WINDOWS System svchost exe G Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared CCPD-LC symlcsvc exe G WINDOWS System svchost exe G Program Files Microsoft AntiSpyware gcasServ exe G DOCUME Mike LOCALS Temp Temporary Directory for hijackthis zip HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page G WINDOWS system google com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page G WINDOWS system google com R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Toolbar LinksFolderName R - Default URLSearchHook is missing O - BHO NavErrRedir Class - AD -C F- - F -DAB C D - G PROGRA INCRED BHO INCFIN DLL file missing O - BHO NavErrRedir Class - DF - - bd - FEE- A AB E - no file O - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - G Program Files Adobe Acrobat Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO G WINDOWS system miamorecc dll - BC B - - A -B - CA D - no file O - BHO G WINDOWS system atmpvc dll - DBA E - C - -ACD -DE E F C - G WINDOWS system atmpvc dll file missing O - BHO Norton Internet Security - ECB - F - bbc- D- DDF E - G Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared AdBlocking NISShExt dll O - BHO AcroIEToolbarHelper Class - AE CD -E - f- - EE - G Program Files Adobe Acrobat Acrobat AcroIEFavClient dll O - BHO NAV Helper - BDF E -B - AD-A -FADC B - G Program Files Norton Internet Security Norton AntiVirus NavShExt dll O - Toolbar Adobe PDF - -D C - - FA - E EAAC - G Program Files Adobe Acrobat Acrobat AcroIEFavClient dll O - Toolbar Norton Internet Security - B EAC - D - b e- B -A C A A - G Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared AdBlocking NISShExt dll O - Toolbar Norton AntiVirus - CDD BF- FFB- - AD - DF B D - G Program Files Norton Internet Security Norton AntiVirus NavShExt dll O - HKLM Run IntelliPoint quot G Program Files Microsoft IntelliPoint point exe quot O - HKLM Run gcasServ quot G Program Files Microsoft AntiSpywa... Read more

Relevancy 79.55%

URGENTLY REQUESTING YOUR ADVICE:
I bought a new VAIO notebook running Vista Home Premium. Not happy with this Vista OS at all, so i installed Windows 7 Ultimate. But the problem i am facing is the machine boots ONLY to Windows 7, and I now have NO way to run Vista (even though I see that all the Vista files are still in place on the C-drive). CAN YOU HELP ME KNOW HOW TO REACTIVATE THIS VISTA OS? (Note: VAIO comes with NO Vista-discs.)
Plz reply for solution

A:How to get the Dual OS Boot Option at System Startup "Windows 7/Vista"

Hi and welcome to TSF first I have removed your email all help is given via this thread and it also takes away the problem of being spammed since this is a open forum and spammers can read the pages, how did you install win 7 ie upgrade or full retail ? did you format the partition ?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/how-to-get-the-dual-os-boot-option-at-system-startup-windows-7-vista-606169.html
Relevancy 79.55%

Hya
After a system update my system will no longer boot but instead gives a black screen with the single row of "! !0xc0000034 ! !251/66346 (0000000000000000.cdf-ms)" at the top. It then just sticks and wont allow me into windows at all.

Any clues?

A:Vista wont boot - error "! !0xc0000034 ! !251/66346 (0000000000000000.cdf-ms)"

Its a BCD error probably... this one particular update(with cd-ms extension) is not installed....Newayz, does it boot in any of the safe mode?? If yes, uninstall the recent updates, then try system restore...

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vista-wont-boot-error-0xc0000034-251-66346-0000000000000000-cdf-ms-263593.html
Relevancy 79.55%

Hi,

#1 thanks for y'all's help and expertise.

Here is my question: I have Vista 32-bit operating system with an original-equipment ViXS PureTV-U 48B0 (NTSC/ATSC Combo) TV Tuner. The computer itself is a m9100z HP Pavilion. Every time I restart my computer, the TV Tuner card will toggle whether or not it is visible/installed/whatever in the device manager. If the card is working, once I restart, it will not work or appear in the device manager, and vice versa. The only way I have found to fix it is to restart again.

Any suggestions?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-tv-card-toggle-disappear-appear-from-device-manager-after-each-boot.823767/
Relevancy 79.55%

Ok.. So i know i should not have tried it but i did.

Basically i was trying to install a version of windows xp on a vista computer. I first partitioned my drive using the computer management tool on vista and loaded up the xp cd to install on that partition. After installing it tried to reboot and now my computer wont boot up at all i get a "disk reads error" press ctrl alt delete.

I have tried recovering it from the recovery cd, but i cant seem to get it working, i really dont want to reset it to the original condition because i have things on there that i would really like to keep.

Anyway.. if you could help me it would GREATLY be appreciated.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vista-wont-boot-disk-read-error-312736.html
Relevancy 79.55%

Hey all I recently updated the nForce sata drivers and installed BIOS updates on my Compaq Presario SR WM Vista G Ram The install and reboots went fine although soon after the PC froze and i restarted to a BSOD stating the following Windows has shut down to prevent any harm to your PC etc Check disk space drivers disable Shadowing Mode Vista! BSOD: after -- loads boot Safe "crcdisk.sys" 0x0000008E Cant use Safe Mode etc STOP x E xC x F C x B A x Collecting data for crash dump Initializing disk Dumping Then the PC restarts and the same thing happens I have tried BSOD: 0x0000008E after Safe Mode loads "crcdisk.sys" -- Cant boot Vista! booting in Safe Mode but as soon as it loads quot C WINDOWS SYSTEM DRIVERS CRCDISK SYS quot it BSOD's with the same information I have reset BIOS defaults BSOD: 0x0000008E after Safe Mode loads "crcdisk.sys" -- Cant boot Vista! turned off sata ports at a time and tested unplugged replugged hdd unplugged RAM at a time and tested ran Windows Memory Diagnostic test successfully ran CHKDSK successfully have run other MEM HDD tests successfully I can access the HDD from a Live Boot Linux CD and can boot to my BartPE Live XP CD One thing I have not tried is disabling Shadowing because this is not an option in my BIOS although it does say quot Shadowing Enabled quot when booting Is there another way to disable this with my MB Chipset nVidia nForce ANY help on this at all will be greatly appreciated as I am at the end of my ideas Thanks in advance Chris

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/bsod-0x0000008e-after-safe-mode-loads-crcdisk-sys-cant-boot-vista-363340.html
Relevancy 79.55%

Here is my situation I have hard drives C which is where I have Windows XP installed and D where I have various music movies and games installed Basically D is my storage drive I decided to set up a dual boot configuration Vista "Access in Denied" drive dual boot Hard configuration with with Windows XP and Vista Ultimate As I said Windows XP was already installed on C I used partition magic to reduce C s size so I would have Hard drive "Access Denied" in Vista with dual boot configuration enough space to create a new partition on the XP drive for Vista I created it and installed Vista fine and now I can choose whether I load XP or Vista on startup Vista seems to be running fine however when I open explorer I encounter a problem C which in Vista is the main partition displays and can be accessed fine D which is the main Hard drive "Access Denied" in Vista with dual boot configuration partition for XP and is displayed as C when booting in XP Hard drive "Access Denied" in Vista with dual boot configuration displays and can be accessed fine E which is the storage drive I mentioned displayed as D when booting in XP earlier is named Access Denied in Vista When I click on it in explorer it says Access Denied When in XP all drives and partitions display and can be accessed fine When in Vista all drives and partitions except E D when in XP display and can be accessed fine I have read in some forums that I should quot take ownership quot of E in Vista and that will allow me access As I understand it this would then deny me access to it while in XP and that is obviously not good because the reason I chose to dual boot is so I can access everything from both operating systems There has to be a way to make Vista able to read E D in XP without cutting off XP s access to it Some setting I m not seeing The internet seems to have a lot of Access Denied Vista posts but none really address my specific problem and no solutions are listed either way Any help is appreciated nbsp

A:Hard drive "Access Denied" in Vista with dual boot configuration

Wow...just wow. Disabled User Account Control and everything works fine. What an awesome "feature."

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-access-denied-in-vista-with-dual-boot-configuration.624596/
Relevancy 79.55%

Computer Specs CPU I - MB "NTLDR Boot now Device" missing" Proper is "Select Asus Pz Ram Corsair GB Vengeance LP Using on board VIdeo For now Maxtor "Select Proper Boot Device" now "NTLDR is missing" HD Sata WD Raptor Sata HP Lightscribe DVD-r Drive Sata Problem I was having once I completed my new build with old system parts was as listed in title It started out as select proper boot device and now it states ntldr is missing From what I have been reading it seems as if my partition with my windows install is not set active I do not have my windows DVD only my old vista DVD I tried to boot into it to make use of CMD and attempt to make my partition active but I was unsuccessful to even get into CMD I went into bios and forced booted from the drive with the OS and still same error also I attempted to disable the other sata and run the computer again with no success also Look forward to hearing from someone soon I will be sitting by my laptop all night until this computer gets running

A:"Select Proper Boot Device" now "NTLDR is missing"

Finally Got to command prompt but it shows my current drive listed as x: dunno if this will be relevant and helpful to anyone.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/228170-select-proper-boot-device-now-ntldr-missing.html
Relevancy 79.55%

With EaseUS Backup Tool, I've cloned these two partitions ("System Reserved" and "C") to same-sized partitions on a external HDD ("X" and "Y"). Picture tells it concisely:
How to make drives "X" and "Y" boot-able?

In "Disk Management", I've noticed these partition labels missing:"X" (or "System Reserved") is missing System label,
"Y" (or "OS") is missing Boot, Page File and Crash Dump labels

Thank you!

A:Both "System reserved" and "C" partition cloned to external HDD: boot?

You cannot boot Win7 on external HD, unless it is connected via eSATA.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/220584-both-system-reserved-c-partition-cloned-external-hdd-boot.html
Relevancy 79.55%

What is the difference between these two versions of Windows Vista?

- 66J-00003: Windows Vista Business English Upgrade North America DVD
(source: http://www.microsoft.com/canada/wow/save/eligibleproducts.mspx)
- 66J-00023: Windows Vista Business English Intl UPG DVD
(source: http://www.microsoft.com/italy/annunci/windows/generale/windowsvista....)

Can I legally use both of them in Italy?

A:Windows Vista "international" or "North America" version?!

It's probably just the languages available, the International version would probably have more languages and english for the default and less in the North American version, I can't see any reason why you couldn't use them in Italy.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-vista-international-or-north-america-version.554552/
Relevancy 79.12%

What is with this clicking noise when I press my 2009 Windows Vista Home Premium and there is no graphics or the Windows colors do not swirl around and the Windows login prompt does not activate?
Why did it used to click after I pressed the start button for about 3 or 4 seconds, then buzz for about 3 seconds and
then the Windows colors start to swirl around and the login prompt shows up?
I bought it refurbished on 2012/01/17 at Phoenix Computer in Rockville, Maryland 20852.
How long do I have to wait for answer or solution to this problem with my Vista 2009?

A:Pressing the any of the 12 "F" keys does not start/boot up my Vista !

I think that the first statement in your post is a very good lead as to your problem. Clicking sound very often is an indication of a failing or failed hard drive. Hopefully your stuff is already backed up..

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/304397-pressing-any-12-f-keys-does-not-start-boot-up-my-vista.html