Windows Support Forum

Problem getting the right user settings

Q: Problem getting the right user settings

So my parents magically destroy computers fairly often and both deny fault so I've decided to lock down their computer a lot. I remember back when I was in school, they made it so the computer auto logs into the guest account and it would reset to a default with some applications that all users can use every time the computer resets. Stuff that would be installed would get uninstalled after shutting down unless you get admin permission. You could delete stuff without it asking for password but it would always set back to default after shut down anyways. I'd really like to now how to do this so I don't have to do reformats every 6 months. It's like they go into the registry and mess around

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/problem-getting-the-right-user-settings-265962.html
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Problem getting the right user settings

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 55.47%

Hi all,

I'm having this issue with these red 'X' appearing in places of the pictures for this screen. Please refer to the image attached.

Thanks,

Stanley

A:Weird image problem in User Accounts Settings

Hi Stanley,

i've had this problem before but don't worry as it's easily fixed by running the attached registry file. All you need to do is merge the contents of the zip file and that should do it..though you may need to reboot to notice the fix.

Hope that helps

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/weird-image-problem-in-user-accounts-settings-205391.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Hello all I ve got a strange problem which has already seemingly stumped someone can t post a URL so go to forums dot spywareinfo dot com search under members for threepwood and it s called quot ie shutdown explorer process at on startup possible virus hijack of explorer quot but seeing Process settings user problem, windows XP and list as it seems less likely to be a spyware problem and more like a windows problem i thought i d post here and give up on the other thread Anyway here are the problems Process list doesn t fluctuate when it is opened On startup explorer shows a stupidly high cpu usage and doesn t change while the window is open Also if i leave the list open and open up another program for example notepad the program will start up but wont come up on the process list This happens only on the one account Process list and user settings problem, windows XP even if i open it in safe mode No other accounts seem affected until i try copying all my settings over to another account I need to know what the problem is and how to solve it so that no other accounts will be affected Another problem cropped up a few days ago My bookmarks list in IE seems to have gone Don t know why IE isn t my main browser so im not too upset although im sure i had some decent links saved which i cant remember now Also today the computer decided to say it had found and installed some new hardware my scanner when my scanner had been fuly installed around years ago System restore isn t possible because i have no points to restore to before this problem cropped up There do seem to be some problems with windows update running but it does run eventually Windows XP is fully up to date No new programs have been installed which could have caused the problem i ve already uninstalled some stuff i thought might be causing it and i ve got no idea what else to try OS is Windows XP SP no error messages come up Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Process list and user settings problem, windows XP

If you haven't already done so, check out this information: http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/explorer.exe.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/process-list-and-user-settings-problem-windows-xp.411522/
Relevancy 55.47%

I'm trying to change the User Account Control Settings in my Standard Account but each time I try User Control Account Problem Settings changing the to do so I'm greeted with the Problem changing the User Account Control Settings message that I quot must be logged in as an administrator to select this setting quot What's puzzling is that I am logged in as an administrator when I try to change the setting but I still see the message I also tried to make the change to the Standard Account directly from the Administrator Account but the option to change the User Account Control Settings is not available I have clicked quot Manage another account quot from within the Administrator Account and clicked the Standard Account icon before trying to doing so There are choices available create a password delete the account etc but not quot change the User Account Control Settings quot In summary I can't make the change from the administrator account or from the Standard account when logged in as the Administrator What am I doing wrong Thank you Nick

A:Problem changing the User Account Control Settings

Hello Nick, and welcome to Seven Forums.

See if you may be able to use either option in the tutorial below to change your UAC settings. You'll need to be logged in as an administrator to be able to do though.

User Account Control - UAC - Change Notification Settings

Hope this helps for now,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/321512-problem-changing-user-account-control-settings.html
Relevancy 52.46%

I use Windows XP Pro My lovely children got to my computer this morning user's are gone My (my kids!) another settings with replaced Files/Settings and and logged in as me rather than as quot kids quot Now when I try to log in as quot me quot all My Files/Settings are gone and replaced with another user's (my kids!) settings of my settings are gone and the scene and settings look like when you log in as the quot kids quot When I try to go into explorer it tells me I have to install it Same with all My Files/Settings are gone and replaced with another user's (my kids!) settings other programs Nothing shows up as installed If I pull up my programs list it still lists my programs such as itunes word etc My Files/Settings are gone and replaced with another user's (my kids!) settings but if I try to run them they all need to be installed Logging in as quot kids quot still looks like quot kids quot though If I look for my Word documents through another user s Word I can find them under quot kids documents quot quot shortcut to me documents quot I looked at doing system restore but somewhere in the process it looks like system checkpoints have been deleted because the only system checkpoint it shows is from today and is after the change occurred I obviously can access my Word documents but it is my saved email and addresses that I am most upset about Any suggestions Would it make things worse to try restarting the computer Many many many thanks nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-files-settings-are-gone-and-replaced-with-another-users-my-kids-settings.629554/
Relevancy 52.46%

When I started up it says Win.ini corrupt. Then it starts
up as a new user losing track of Favorites and Start Menu
and Desktop Icons, Display and Folder attributes. Under
Documents and Settings it has added Dave.U5R2D5 in
addition to Dave which still has all the information. I tried
switching the 2 Filenames to get back to what it used to be but
gave an error message and didn't do it and started another new file.
Is there some way to use the old Dave file?

A:Lost settings, New user made in Documents and Settings

Hiya asd123321.

It sounds like you`ve re-installed the system from CD over the top of an existing system, giving you a fresh `Dave`. Have you recently run a repair or indeed, done a clean install ?

As a work-around, can you take the documents & favourites from the old `Dave` and put them in the new `Dave` so at least you`re back up and running again.

Jenny

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lost-settings-new-user-made-in-documents-and-settings.920132/
Relevancy 52.03%

Upgraded from Windows to Windows some months ago Original profile did not require password to log in and was not associated with a Google email or Microsoft account that I know of I added a user a couple of days ago added a personal account of mine with my own password from my laptop because software problem said try another user and this laptop computer didn't have any other users So I added one That was a mistake After I quot added a user quot I could ONLY log on the computer with the NEW user The old one the profile all the Added original User, user profile & / disappeared settings settings the playlists everything was gone Like it never existed There was and is no option to log on as the original The computer became an extension of my laptop with zero other option I had to add a third user and give it admin capabilities just to remove my laptop profile which I didn't really want on this computer I was just adding a user to quot try another user quot with a software problem But all my original settings seem gone I can see additional users in Windows Media Player for instance but it says I need permission to access those Since it is impossible to log on as any other user except this latest and third user I can't give myself permission to access those old playlists Adding a user should come with a warning If anyone has any ideas where I can recover the old settings I'd be grateful The threads I've seen around the web and here have directed to Windows workarounds which do not work for my machine

A:Added User, original user / profile & settings disappeared

Hello and welcome to the TenForums

It might be worth finding out all the users that are associated with your PC. To do this open a command prompt (right click on the Start button) and then type in the following command wmic useraccount list full

This will display all users on your system (including hidden ones) and if you paste the results here we can determine which accounts are still present. If you want to see more details of this process look in the tutorial: User Account Details - View in Windows 10

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/56470-added-user-original-user-profile-settings-disappeared.html
Relevancy 52.03%

I started configuring Vista Home Premium as an administrative user and was wondering if it was possible to transfer the configuration for that user to a different standard user account which, from what I understand, would be more secure. It should be possible to switch the administrative user account to a standard user account (haven't seen this either), but I would like the option of using a standard user account with basically the settings I have set up so far for the admin account while maintaining the admin account as is. Is there an easy way to accomplish this? Thanks.

A:Transfering Program Settings for Administrative User to Standard User

The easiest way would be to create a new account, copy the profile of the original account over to the new one, and then make the new account a limited one.

Though this is for corrupted profiles, the method is the same:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/transfering-program-settings-for-administrative-user-to-standard-user.733508/
Relevancy 51.6%

I'm creating a new user profile and I want to have the same settings as an existing user account (desktop environment, etc.). Is there an easy way to just copy these old settings from the existing user account or must they all be manually netered and configured again for the new user account?

Relevancy 51.6%

I have two admin accounts on my Windows 8 computer, I want to transfer everything from one of the admin accounts, to the other so I can make it my primary account.

Is there anyone who can suggest the best way to do this?

Thanks.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/35751-transfer-user-account-settings-files-another-user.html
Relevancy 50.74%

Hi,

We are using roaming profiles, win xp on clients and windows 2003 on the
server.

I have a user who complains that the user's settings are not retained - when
somebody else uses their computer. For example the resolution is affected.

Is their anyway to lock down those settings so a default is used.

A:User Settings get changed when another user logons

The last I understood, hardware changes are NOT controlled by the Roaming profile. Any local hardware changes will affect ALL users.

Depends on what the DEFAULT is and if ANYONE can make hardware changes.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-settings-get-changed-when-another-user-logons.753278/
Relevancy 50.74%

Hi guys This came about when my brother decided it d be a good idea to open a Word document from his heavily-infected laptop on my machine The main symptom is an invisible file I Documents and Settings Ian Ian exe running on startup that can t be terminated or deleted Spybot reports it constantly setting itself to run on startup I ve run a series of scans with troubles Docs&Settings\[user]\[user].exe ClamWin AdAware and Spybot and this is the situation after that Thanks for your time and I Docs&Settings\[user]\[user].exe troubles hope you can help Ian The HJT log Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Boot mode Normal Running processes I WINDOWS System smss exe I WINDOWS system winlogon exe I WINDOWS system services exe I WINDOWS system lsass exe I WINDOWS system svchost exe I WINDOWS System svchost exe I WINDOWS system spoolsv exe I Program Files Lavasoft Ad-Aware aawservice exe I WINDOWS system CTsvcCDA exe I Program Files Java jre bin jqs exe I Program Files CDBurnerXP NMSAccessU exe I WINDOWS system nvsvc exe I Program Files EDIMAX Common RalinkRegistryWriter exe I Program Files CyberLink Shared files RichVideo exe I WINDOWS system svchost exe I Program Files TVersity Media Server MediaServer exe I Program Files TightVNC WinVNC exe I WINDOWS System svchost exe I WINDOWS Explorer EXE I WINDOWS system CTHELPER EXE I WINDOWS system RUNDLL EXE I Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe I Program Files ClamWin bin ClamTray exe I Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy TeaTimer exe I Program Files DAEMON Tools Lite daemon exe I Documents and Settings Ian Ian exe I Program Files EDIMAX Common RaUI exe I Program Files locate locate exe I Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe I Program Files Winamp winamp exe I WINDOWS Explorer EXE I Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe O - BHO Spybot-S amp D IE Protection - - F - D - - D F - I PROGRA SPYBOT SDHelper dll O - BHO Groove GFS Browser Helper - - C - D -B F - BBC D A E - I PROGRA MICROS Office GRA E DLL O - BHO Google Toolbar Helper - AA ED - DD- d - -CF F - i program files google googletoolbar dll O - BHO Java tm Plug-In SSV Helper - DBC -A - b-BC - C C C A - I Program Files Java jre bin jp ssv dll O - BHO JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - E E F - CE- C -BC -EABFE F C - I Program Files Java jre lib deploy jqs ie jqs plugin dll O - Toolbar amp Google - C B - - d - B - A CD F - i program files google googletoolbar dll O - HKLM Run CTHelper CTHELPER EXE O - HKLM Run CTxfiHlp CTXFIHLP EXE O - HKLM Run NvCplDaemon RUNDLL EXE I WINDOWS system NvCpl dll NvStartup O - HKLM Run nwiz nwiz exe install O - HKLM Run NvMediaCenter RUNDLL EXE I WINDOWS system NvMcTray dll NvTaskbarInit O - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateSched quot I Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe quot O - HKLM Run AdobeCS ServiceManager quot I Program Files Common Files Adobe CS ServiceManager CS ServiceManager exe quot -launchedbylogin O - HKLM Run ClamWin quot I Program Files ClamWin bin ClamTray exe quot --logon O - HKCU Run SpybotSD TeaTimer I Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy TeaTimer exe O - HKCU Run DAEMON Tools Lite quot I Program Files DAEMON Tools Lite daemon exe quot -autorun O - HKCU Run Google Update quot I Documents and Settings Ian Local Settings Application Data Google Update GoogleUpdate exe quot c O - HKUS S- - - RunOnce SetDefaultMIDI MIDIDEF EXE s Creative SoundFont Synthesizer w SB Audigy User LOCAL SERVICE O - HKUS S- - - RunOnce tscuninstall systemroot system tscupgrd exe User LOCAL SERVICE O - HKUS S- - - RunOnce nltide rundll advpack dll LaunchINFSectionEx nLite inf C N User LOCAL SERVICE O - HKUS S- - - RunOnce SetDefaultMIDI MIDIDEF EXE s Creative SoundFont Synthesizer w SB Audigy User NETWORK SERVICE O - HKUS S- - - RunOnce SetDefaultMIDI MIDIDEF EXE s Creative SoundFont Synthesizer w SB Audigy User SYSTEM O - HKUS DEFAULT RunOnce SetDefaultMIDI MIDIDEF EXE s Creative SoundFont Synthesizer w SB Audigy User Defau... Read more

A:Docs&Settings\[user]\[user].exe troubles

Hi, Welcome to TSG!!

Please download the OTM by OldTimer.

Save it to your desktop.
Please double-click OTM.exe to run it.
Copy all the lines in the quote box below to the clipboard by highlighting ALL of them and pressing CTRL + C (or, after highlighting, right-click and choose Copy):

:Files
I:\Documents and Settings\Ian\Ian.exe

Return to OTM, right click in the "Paste Instructions for Items to be Moved" window (under the yellow bar) and choose Paste.

Click the red Moveit! button.
Copy everything in the Results window (under the green bar) to the clipboard by highlighting ALL of them and pressing CTRL + C (or, after highlighting, right-click and choose copy), and paste it in your next reply.
Close OTM
Note: If a file or folder cannot be moved immediately you may be asked to reboot the machine to finish the move process. If you are asked to reboot the machine choose Yes. In this case, after the reboot, open Notepad (Start->All Programs->Accessories->Notepad), click File->Open, in the File Name box enter *.log and press the Enter key, navigate to the C:\_OTM\MovedFiles folder, and open the newest .log file present, and copy/paste the contents of that document back here in your next post.
Download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.
Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.

Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.

Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here.

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
Copy&Paste the entire report in your next reply.
Extra Note:

If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediatly.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/docs-settings-user-user-exe-troubles.847256/
Relevancy 48.59%

Trying to load admin or any other user while at the xp welcome screen. Using an Vaio laptop

Any selected user starts loading personal settings and jumps immediately to save personal settings and returns to the welcome screen.

Had an attack by Antivirus 2009 and am trying to runMalwarebytes mbam-setup.exe from a flash drive.

I can get into safe mode by pressing F8 when booting up but not sure how to proceed from there.
Thx

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-user-load-jumps-from-loading-personal-settings-to-saving-personal-settings.806252/
Relevancy 47.3%

Hi,

I have a user listed in C:\Documents and Settings that is not listed in "user accounts".

If if simply delete it then it comes back later.

The only thing in it is a thunderbird profile which I don't believe is active anymore.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

A:Delete user that's in docs and settings but not in "user accounts".

Does the User Profile show up in System Properties?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/delete-user-thats-in-docs-and-settings-but-not-in-user-accounts-354027.html
Relevancy 47.3%

I've looked for a straightforward from "Cloning" a (Win Settings 10) User User - Account Prototype answer to this and the searches I done can't find this This concerns a Win User Accounts on both a single PC and multiple PC's that "Cloning" User Settings from a Prototype User Account - (Win 10) are not in a Domain These are all quot local quot User Accounts These PC's are highly secured no quot cloud quot accounts quot OneDrive quot deinstalled disabled both in Win and Office PC's are identical hardware and are being loaded from a master disk image The only differences should be a PC name b Windows Key c MAC addresses I'm setting up several User Accounts from a quot prototype quot Account and would like to copy the user quot settings quot all all of them quot Settings quot means For Win - Desktop configuration Personalization File Explorer options File Sharing options on a quot base quot Win disk image For Office xx - All quot settings quot except for quot Personalize your copy of MS Office quot on a quot base quot MS Office xx disk image For other software on a quot base quot MS Office xx other AKA quot Full-load quot disk image I'm assuming a bad thing to do that the needed info resides in The Registry in a HK Current User b HK Users Each User's AppData To do this are there Copy Paste from the Registry AppData procedures Commercial Open Source tools to do this Thanks

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/55207-cloning-user-settings-prototype-user-account-win-10-a.html
Relevancy 45.58%

I am laptop user. About 2hr ago, i login to my lappy and discover that my profile is different. My folders on desktop went missing and some of the setting changed. Then i try on my own to solve it but to no avail. Fortunately i come upon my C:\Documents and Settings and discover that strange profile C:\Documents and Settings\TEMP and my original profile C:\Documents and Settings\p0716499 was still there. This imply that my previous setting and files are still in my laptop. However, I cant changed back to the original profile and struck with the temp profile.
Initially i suspect is registry problem so i DL "UPHClean Service" by miscosoft but to no avail. Now currently i suspect it might be the work of a virus. I need help. Thank anyone who help me in advance.

A:User profile path change to user profile path change to C:\Documents and Settings\TEMP :\Documents and Settings...

This morning when i woke up, i discovered a icon named "syminstallstub" on my desktop. I checked online and i believe that it could be a virus. I try to find ways to uninstall it but to no avail I not sure what did my younger brother do to my laptop. I feel that im damn unlucky and encounter 2 problems in a row. Please help me solve my problems.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/394384/user-profile-path-change-to-user-profile-path-change-to-cdocuments-and-settingstemp-documents-and-settingstemp/
Relevancy 45.58%

I have xp home

Settings for in my documents have changed from black to blue. Has anyone ant ideas? if you need more information I can provide it

A:xp user settings I think

If you're referring to the background of a new document when you open Word, in Word go to Format>Background and change it to whatever color you want. That's for Word 2000. Other versions are similiar.

If you're referring to something else entirely, let us know more details...including operating system (NT, 2000, XP?), version of Office or Word, exactly which settings have changed...background in the window displaying the list of documents, maybe?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-user-settings-i-think.193711/
Relevancy 45.58%

Ok SO!.... I deleted netware client because of the Error that you get when you want to turn on fast user switching or welcome menu. After that I scanned with countless tools and restarted. WHY wont IT LET ME CHANGE THE WAY USERS LOG ON AND OFF :O!!!

ok... ive done everything it says to do in countless places.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-settings-help-please.450630/
Relevancy 45.58%

ok i m very confused so i apologize user settings if my explanation of user settings the problem is not very clear because i m not exactly sure what s going on on my computer dell pentium we have two users me and my parents my mom had left it on her user name user settings so i went to start gt log off user settings gt switch user which brought me to the welcome screen i clicked on my user name and at this point things started to go wrong it seemed like the computer had frozen up and was not responding i decided to reboot the computer i was holding down the power button to reboot when an error message popped up saying my personal settings could not be retrieved and that a temporary user account would be created i didn t have time to read it because then my computer rebooted itself when the welcome screen loaded again everything seemed normal i clicked on my user name which was still there the picture intact and everything but what loaded was like a default user account default desktop no favorites in IE no documents i began to suspect that this was the temporary account however all the programs were still there and on the start menu it still displayed my user name and picture i went to start gt log off gt switch user and signed on to my parents account everything there was fine nothing was changed i went to my computer gt C drive gt documents and settings gt my username gt my username s documents and everything was there i went back to c documents and settings and found a folder labeled TEMP inside were folders my documents desktop start menu cookies and favorites and a text document called INSTALL i logged off my parents account went back to quot my quot account and restarted the computer with start gt turn off computer gt restart again the welcome screen was normal but when i clicked on my user account it took almost minutes to load it said quot loading your personal settings quot but when it was done i was brought to another default user account i had made some personalizations on the first default account because i was on AIM and had to fix my font when this default account loaded the second time those personalizations were gone it was like a blank slate completely wiped clean both times the windows security center window was open but i think that s a default anytime a new account is created and opened the thing that worries me is i turned off our USB external hard drive when my computer first froze up trying to get into my account i m not sure if that affects anything i don t think it was stopped before i turned it off so my problem is that clicking on my supposed account at the welcome screen takes me to a blank possibly temporary default account though all my documents are intact but in a separate part of the computer there seems to be no way to switch to my real account if anyone can offer any insights they would be much appreciated i do have hijackthis and various virus scanners and i am willing to download anything else that might be helpful though i don t think this is virus-related thanks nbsp

Relevancy 45.58%

Is there any way I can cancel the use of right click on a user and deny access to the control panel.

I have a little brother who likes to do more than he is suppost to do if you know what i mean - all he really needs access to is his games, Office and the internet.

I have already given him Guest user rights and denied him permission to certain folders.

Also, i have removed icons for My computer and Networking, but he can still get on them by using the address bar if he is on a folder, any thoughts?

Thanks, John.

Relevancy 45.58%

How do I chage user policies from my Admin account on xp ? I want to restrict internet settings etc without using group policy editor. I need direct access to their registry, It just looks like hkey_users does not have the users as in win 98 ? How do i get access to their registry ?

A:XP User Settings

The bet way to do this
1. create an administrator equvalent user e.g. template
2. Make a backup copy of the default user profile
3. Log on as the administrator equivalent
4. Set up all the settings as you would like them to be for the users
5. Login as the administrator
6. Copy the template user profile over the default user profile. My Computer / properties/advanced /user profiles
7. All new user accounts will have these settings.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-user-settings.357479/
Relevancy 45.58%

OK, I jsut changed from 98se to XP, yah! But somethign is bugging me. I liek my desktop to be 1024x768, my dad likes his to be 600x800. And the settings are not saving when I switch from name to name! It's driving me nutsy! Is there a way that this gets fixed? Or is it not an option?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-settings.100805/
Relevancy 45.58%

Hello All and thank you for your time. Time this is my first post and i joined today
right i have windows xp profesinal and i want to restrict certain programs from certain users like command prompt and other programs ive installed.
i am the owner of the computer besides me there is 1 other admin and a few other users. PLease help me

Thanks CJCJDJ

A:Help WIth User settings

Hi, why not just allow other user to use a limited a/c, i.e non admin a/c and it will place such restrictions automatically.

Bill

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-with-user-settings.764284/
Relevancy 45.15%

Hello,

On my pc I have installed Windows XP Professional. I have set up a couple of User accounts and am now interrested in knowing how to control specific things that CERTAIN, not ALL users can do. For example, if you go to
run>
gpedit.msc>
User configuration>
Administrative Templates>
Control Panel

There is an option that allows you to "prohibit access to the Control Panel". There are also several other neat options. If you prohibit access to the control panel, this is done for all User accounts on the computer. I would like to know how to apply it to say only one account.

Also, I would greatly appreciate it if anyone knew how to (again for only specific User accounts) make a user have to enter a password everytime they want to install a program or download something.

Thanks for any help provided.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/settings-for-user-accounts.377924/
Relevancy 45.15%

Ok so im the administrator of my PC and i want to create an account for someone. But i dont want them to be able to browse my documents and files and personal stuff.

Is there a script or some program i can use to disable browsing of my (Admin) files on my PC? I keep my work and all that junk in my documents and some of it is non of their business.

Thanks

A:Admins & User Settings

Hello Collin,

You could create a "Standard" or "Guest" user account for them to use. While they are logged in to their account, they will not be able to open anything in your C:\Users\(user-name) folder by default.

If you have files and such on another drive or partition that you do not want them to be able to access, then you could set it's permissions to "Deny" only their specific user account.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/131665-admins-user-settings.html
Relevancy 45.15%

Hello everyone I have recently been tasked to fix some issues a government computer settings user with security Help lab is having with certain sites not displaying When normal users go to government websites the web browser gives the message quot Help with user security settings This page can't be displayed quot The web browser functions fine on all other sties - it's only of government sites that it have the Help with user security settings problem Logged in as the admin I followed the troubleshooting guide and was able to reset the security settings under the advanced tab in IE options I think it was a TLS setting This somewhat solved the problem the requested sites now display however it only works when logged into the admin account or by running IE as the admin When a normal user is logged in the problem still exist It appears that the reset of the security settings is only taking effect for the admin accounts thus not allowing the normal users to view the site I even tried logging in as the normal user and running IE as the admin which DID allow me to change the settings However the pages still don't display when running it as a normal user Running IE and and the problem persists on both I would try a different web browser but IE is required About to pull my hair out Any and all help is much appreciated

A:Help with user security settings

Am a bit confused as to why the government department does not have its own IT people to fix the problem??

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/292718-help-user-security-settings.html
Relevancy 45.15%

hi everyone,

i have question and want to know if this is possible,

i have network ,3 serves and 45 pc's ,all of them under same domain.
the question is.. is it possible that a user can log in on another pc in the network . and get the same setting( desktop, printer, script - setting ect ) as on his pc in network. if it is possible can you pls give the instructions to go tio configure it.

hope you can help me.

thank you.

A:Solved: same user settings different pc

lol.i will use spelling check next time

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-same-user-settings-different-pc.761265/
Relevancy 45.15%

Hi there, I switched users on my computer and got all the files over but would like to know how to get my internet settings over so I don't have to start from scratch with all of my favorites and browser settings. Is there a way to do this? I didn't want to use the wizard to transfer files because I was trying to avoid a problem I was having under my other user account that switching accounts seemed to solve when nothing else worked.

Thank you for your help.

Dawn

A:Move settings to new user

Yeah, creating new windows user accounts fixes many win quirks...

The only way I know of is using the wizard but just transfer only the IE settings.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/move-settings-to-new-user-22698.html
Relevancy 45.15%

Hi,..I guess I am going to be one of those stupid people today who can not configure their Pc correctly.

My Pc is a stand alone machine.
My OS is XP x64 pro.sp2

I have three accessable accounts in my windows installation.

1. Me as administrator
2. My wife as a user.
3. A guest account.

And the original admistrator account.

I have my hdd in three partitions.
One is suppossed to be for my OS the second for my storage and the third for my backup.

How do I change default settings to enable data to be written to the storage partition? And what data should remain on the OS partition?

How do I as an administrator, install aprogrammes that only I can see on my desktop? So far I think programmes are deciding for themselves if they apear on my wife's account or not how do I maintain this?.

Thanks heaps.

A:User and admistrative settings XP x64 Pro.

What data is it that you want to write to the storage partition. If your talking about programs then you just need to choose the advanced intall and change the directory where it is installing.

The for the desktop right click on the start button > explore > it will default to the start menu of the account you are logged in as. Click the desktop folder and that will show what programs show up on the desktop. Note: there is a desktop folder for each account.

Another note: most programs install icons in the All users desktop folder.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/user-and-admistrative-settings-xp-x64-pro-377440.html
Relevancy 45.15%

I'm guessing there's a tutorial around here on this, but I can't seem to find it, so I'll ask.

Is there a way to "clone" a user account while changing it from one type to another?

I.E. I have an administrator account which I've used for a while. All of my settings are the way I like them, desktop, theme, disabled windows programs, disabled aero, etc etc.

I have now created a non-admin account to use so that I'm not using an admin account all of the time. Is there a way to tell this account to import all settings other than Adminstrator status from my administrator account.

Basically, the only thing that I want to change in the new non-admin account is the username, password and administrator status.

A:User Settings Transfer

Simple Windows Easy Transfer

Trasfer to a finger drive, hd etc. Then send it to the new account.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...-easy-transfer

Any or problems or questions, I will try my best to help.

Good Luck

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/76789-user-settings-transfer.html
Relevancy 45.15%

Hi,
I'm using Sony Vaio laptop with Windows 8.1.
Recently something happened and the screen became black. I tried to recover the original wallpaper but couldn't do it. At the same time the keyboard stopped working.
I discovered that this is connected to the user account. As I had to reinstall the system anyway, I set a new Windows user account with a different name and the laptop started to work properly.
I would like to avoid changing users in case this situation repeats. Could you tell me what I should do (to change in user accoung settings) if I have similar problem in the future?
Thanks in advance.
Robert

A:User account settings

The best way I know of is to make complete system backup Using something like Macrium Reflect (my favorite), back it up when everything works good and do backups every now and than. In case of big trouble, you are just minutes away from properly set system.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/56414-user-account-settings.html
Relevancy 45.15%

when i attempt to log in by typing my password i get 2 messages:

Windows cannot load the locally stored profiles. Possible causes of this error include insufficient security rights or corrupted settings.

Windows cannot find the local profile and is logging you on with a temporary profile. Changes you make will not exist after you log off.

and then, i get booted onto a generic desktop where i can then access most of the files from my own desktop by going into the my computer, clicking on drive C, then clicking on Documents/Settings, then my name, then Desktop where most of the things from my old desktop are residing. the one thing i really want to access is my Outlook which contains several different calendars that i need to look at, but when i click on that it doesn't recognize who i am and i get a generic Outlook.

thanks for any help

Relevancy 45.15%

Hello I have a Dell Windows XP Media Center The problem I m having is a user account settings disappear I have user accounts My daughter has her own account and mine is set to Admin The third account my wife s is hardly used Sometimes when my daughter logs on her account it comes up like settings User disappear a new account No docs screen is back to default etc If I go to quot My User settings disappear Computer her folder is also gone However we can still get to all her files thru quot Docs and Settings quot If I reboot her account comes back to normal but I have to edit the registry to get the folder back in quot My Computer quot or any drop down menus I started using hibernate a few months ago I m not sure but I think this might only happen when she brings it out of hibernate and logs on I never have this problem with my account Any suggestions on what is causing this would be appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 45.15%

I have a computer running Windows 7 (Build 7100). I joined it to my work Domain with no issues. I signed in using my username and password.

I can map network drives and change my settings. Any time I log out or restart my computer all the network settings, desktop settings, mapped drives and files are gone. I have to start over again like its the first time I've ever logged onto the network.

I had this very same problem in Vista and was never able to solve it. This is why my entire workplace is still on XP.

Does anyone have any ideas? I cannot seem to find anything to fix it.

Thanks.

A:User Settings Not Remembered

Maybe the domain controller isn't configured properly for Vista and 7? I dunno.

Have you spoken to your I.T. staff at all about this?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/9667-user-settings-not-remembered.html
Relevancy 45.15%

I made a new user account under Windows XP Pro and deleted my old one. Then I saw the old user's folder. I tired to delete it but I couldn't and an error message popped up:

That folder is 3.48 GB heavy and contains over 13000 files.
I also tried to take ownership of that folder. No luck.

So, please, if you know how to solve this problem, let me know.

Me.

A:Documents and Settings\User

Hi

Firstly you can run chkdsk - hopefully that will sort out the strange file name:
To do this go to Start -> Run -> type chkdsk c: /r -> click Ok . When asked if you want to force a dismount say No. When asked to schedule the check at the next startup say Yes. Restart your PC to allow chkdsk to run.

Then you can download Unlocker, save it to your hard drive and install it.
Once installed
-Right click on the User folder
-Select Unlocker
-In the Unlocker screen choose Delete under action
-If any processes are locking the folder select Unlock All, If no locking handles are found press OK

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/documents-and-settings-user-523004.html
Relevancy 45.15%

I have a user on my NT 4.0 SP6a network who is unable to keep her preferred mouse settings. She has to keep adjusting it every day she logs on. Shouldn't this be saved under her roaming profile?

Any ideas on how to get around changing it on a daily basis?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/nt-4-0-user-mouse-settings.710003/
Relevancy 45.15%

Hello all.

I was wondering if it was possible to set Windows 7 for a new user of the computer so that is asks them for a Language, Country, Computer Name, User name e.t.c when they turn on the computer for the first time.

All help appreciated. Regards GFB.

A:Settings Windows 7 for a new user

From what I've read on this forum, it's possible by using the sysprep tool. Some people use it to migrate an existing Windows 7 installation to a completely new computer (or the same one after major changes like a new mobo etc.) which requires Windows to install new drivers for the new hardware on the next boot. As a side effect it also behaves like it's being run for the first time and does exactly what you're asking for above.

I don't know the specifics, but I'm sure someone knowledgeable will chime in soon and give you more details.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/191004-settings-windows-7-new-user.html
Relevancy 45.15%

I'm using XP Pro and have been using the administrator account. I used tweak ui and would like to know if I can transfer these settings to a limited user account or do I have to create a new user account and perform all the tweaks from there?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-transfer-user-settings-in-xp.138610/
Relevancy 45.15%

Title.
I wanna have chinese as a language for non unicode programs on one user account while english for another user account... is that possible?

A:Different settings on different user accounts

That is possible to do in Windows but not with a home edition. You would need Windows 7 Ultimate (or Enterprise but that is not a retail product).

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/376915-different-settings-different-user-accounts.html
Relevancy 45.15%

I had a hacker last week and discovered the they had hidden my user settings I had to log in as the administrator becaues my user settings were not visible I tried to add me back in in the control panel users and passwords and it said that my user settings were listed I believe the hacker hid my settings Hacked user settings and the computer won't allow me to login What do I do Logfile Hacked user settings of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINNT System Hacked user settings smss exeC WINNT system winlogon exeC WINNT system services exeC WINNT system svchost exeC WINNT system spoolsv exeC WINNT System svchost exeC WINNT system regsvc exeC Hacked user settings WINNT system MSTask exeC WINNT system svchost exeC WINNT Explorer EXEC WINNT System WBEM WinMgmt exeC Program Files Internet Explorer IEXPLORE EXEC Documents and Settings sfielding Desktop HijackThis exeR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http www microsoft com isapi redir dll prd ie ar iesearchR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www microsoft com isapi redir dll prd ie ar msnhomeR - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http www microsoft com isapi redir dll p er ar msnhomeR - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http www microsoft com isapi redir dll prd ie ar iesearchR - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http www microsoft com isapi redir dll prd ie ar iesearchR - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www microsoft com isapi redir dll p B PVER ar homeO - Toolbar msdxmLC dll - amp Radio - E - F- D - E- A C - C WINNT System msdxm ocxO - HKLM Run Synchronization Manager mobsync exe logonO - HKLM RunOnce BrandClearStubs RUNDLL IEDKCS DLL BrandCleanInstallStubs gt B E -C CC- D - - A C FF MICROSO - HKLM RunOnce Regsister WScript wscript -regserverO - Extra button Related - c fe - f d- d -a b- aa c a - C WINNT web related htmO - Extra 'Tools' menuitem Show amp Related Links - c fe - f d- d -a b- aa c a - C WINNT web related htm

A:Hacked user settings

A HJT leader will be with your shorlty.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/3496/hacked-user-settings/
Relevancy 45.15%

Neither of my Parents use Windows Media Player and as such they only have the Media that came with Windows. Unfortunately their libraries show up on the local network and I do not wish them to. I cannot find how to disable the Media Streaming Options for individual users, the Local Group Policy Editor has User settings but I appear unable to create a new policy to prevent media sharing.

Is there a way even if it means tweaking the registry, to disable Media Streaming on an individual account basis? (I believe there HAS to be as my own Library wasn't showing up and it transpired that Media Streaming was not turned on for my account yet the others had it enabled).

Many thanks

A:Per User WMP Sharing settings

OK I eventually figured it out. Apparently if you block all the devices from connecting to your Library then it turns Media Streaming Off, which is exactly what I wanted

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/356996-per-user-wmp-sharing-settings.html
Relevancy 45.15%

I Can't reboot... user keep settings after am having trouble with any program that I change the user settings Can't keep user settings after reboot... For example every time I open itunes I have to read the user end agreement Can't keep user settings after reboot... It acts like its the first time i've used it everytime I have a Logitech G Gaming keyboard Those of you that know there are Can't keep user settings after reboot... a tone of buttons that you can program I go ahead and program the buttons that I want but after I reboot the computer the Logitech software and Keyboard act like I never changed anything The buttons have no assigned functions Lastly of my examples with my GTX came the Nvidia control panel where I change all of my resolution settings So I have a HDTV hooked up via DVI-HDMI cable Naturally the computer output doesn't take all of my HDTV screen so I scale the screen up to fit so there are no black margins You guessed it after I reboot the monitors settings only in regard to the scaling - my resolution stays the same go back to what they were Basically i'm wondering if anybody else has encountered this problem and or if you know how to solve please lend some help Thanks much Pat I'm using Windows Vista bit P Ghz Gigs DDR GTX evga Intel D PVS Motherboard

A:Can't keep user settings after reboot...

My guess is that you are going to need to run this software "as Administrator". Vista is probably preventing the registry entry changes.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/cant-keep-user-settings-after-reboot-201542.html
Relevancy 45.15%

ok,I'm going to be brave and re-install SP2more info here ----> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/118812/regarding-on-reinstalling-sevice-pack-2/but,I found out that once i do that,some setting may changeso how do I save my setting(besides writing it all down and painfully manual set it back up)and after i reinstall SP2 I applied the settings again?Hope you guys understand though all my stupidity

A:How To Save User Settings?

You can use Windows' Files and Settings Transfer Wizard:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/119413/how-to-save-user-settings/
Relevancy 45.15%

I am using Windows XP Pro SP2. I created a new user with administrator privileges, and put all my programs and settings in the new user. Everything is working perfectly. Is it possible to copy everyhting in this user account and make User#2 with the exact same programs and settings....just as a back up in case something happens with the user#1?. How to do this? Thanks

A:copying user settings in XP Pro SP2

It sounds like that is what you did. I'm not sure I understand the question....

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/copying-user-settings-in-xp-pro-sp2.363293/
Relevancy 45.15%

I am starting a job that requires me to access their VPN through a web application that uses f5. Their tech team is slow and I am going nus trying to figure out what I need to do here. Averytime I try to log in it says that their is a tunnel error. I have enabled everything I can think to enable without completely shutting down my firewall. I am at my wits end nothing I find online seems to help. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

A:F5 crashing due to user settings

F5 is a load-balancing product and probably won't be part of the VPN connection.

The message about the tunnel is when you connect to the VPN (if it's a user (i.e yourself) connecting to a VPN, then it is a SSL VPN). What happens when you connect to the VPN is that a split tunnel is created. This means that you can connect to whatever application you are using over the VPN (one side of the tunnel), plus you can still do your own not work-related web browsing stuff (the other side of the tunnel).
Ok, the tunnel error, you haven't provided the exact error message here, so would need a bit more info on this. Although there won't be anything you can do as an end user in this sitaution. The network support team would have to look into this.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/f5-crashing-due-to-user-settings.1131147/
Relevancy 45.15%

I m from a Mac Unix background but I m currently a temporary switcher using XP on someone Lost settings user else s computer while I m minding their house I hope you ll forgive any glaring deficiencies in my understanding of this particular operating system The person who owns this computer is a novice and easily confused by changes to the screen his settings programs etc To prevent any confusion I created a new user for myself which I planned to delete when I left thereby leaving all the original settings intact I gave myself administrator privileges on this account Problem is I don t think this guy had created an account for himself and when I now choose between users at the Lost user settings login screen I m only offered a choice between my own account and a guest account which I can turn on or off But Lost user settings this guest account isn t the Lost user settings original account As far as I can see in response to creating my own administrator account the system has completely overwritten the anonymous account the owner of the system was using initially Is this what s happened Are there two modes for the Windows environment - single-user and multi-user If I ve activated the multi-user mode by creating this account have I automatically overwritten the single-user settings and information More importantly is there any way to get all the previous info back As it stands I ve lost absolutely all this guy s settings and data This is a disaster so I really hope someone here can help me out Thanks in advance nbsp

Relevancy 44.29%

I have several users on my domain, managed with Active Directory. How can I ensure that every user, regardless of what PC they sign into, has the exact same programs and settings for these programs?

I don?t want to go to every computer, and install and configure software for each person that signs into that PC. Sometimes our users don?t always use the same PC either, so if for some reason I configured a user account on one PC earlier in the day if they log into a different computer I?ll have to do it all over again.

I need each PC to have programs, with certain settings for those programs, to be installed under any user account that may sign into that computer. For e.g., if I were to sit down at a computer that I have never signed into before - once I login Firefox is already installed with certain preferences.

Any help?

A:Same programs and settings for each user regardless of PC on domain

In short: I guess you need a combination of roaming profile (for settings and data) and group policy to install the programs. And perhaps folder redirection.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/374203-same-programs-settings-each-user-regardless-pc-domain.html
Relevancy 44.29%

Wondering why when one user changes their desktop display settings i.e. screen resolution 800x600, it changes everyones elses?

xpsp3

Thanks.

A:User settings changing on all accounts

Hi sirdeth

It appears to be a global setting.

This link http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_userdisplay.htm has a program that will allow you to set the screen resolution per user.
Let us know if that works for you or not.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-settings-changing-on-all-accounts.799032/
Relevancy 44.29%

RE Outlook I have two user accounts one for me and one for my wife I want both of us to access the same Outlook pst file and when checking messages save to that same file Sharing the file seems to be no problem I have the data file Accounts? User - Different Settings/Folder Same settings reading from a PST file Same Settings/Folder - Different User Accounts? I have in the Public folders However I cannot send and receive on both accounts One mine works both send and receive The other will only receive I have triple checked the settings and deleted and re-entered her settings I get the same results every time I think the problem may lie in having moved the apps folder I have both account settings on Same Settings/Folder - Different User Accounts? a second hard drive See User Folders - Change Default Location In addition I checked the registry to confirm the settings were accepted ON A SIDE NOTE Where are the e-mail account settings stored So the question is how can I have two separate user accounts sending and receiving on the same Outlook file Thanks Joe

A:Same Settings/Folder - Different User Accounts?

Joe, are you getting an error when trying to send from "the other" account or it is just not sending anything?
Besides the Account setup, did you make sure the Send/Receive options under Options -> Mail Setup -> Send/Receive include the account in the send / receive group?
I am via an Exchange Server right now so I can't do any tests. That is what I can think of.

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/45628-same-settings-folder-different-user-accounts.html
Relevancy 44.29%

Hi guys New here Been doing IT stuff for almost years now and I ve never seen anything like (XP Solved: still User Pro) Settings there, Folder gone this I ve got a user who was working perfectly until this morning then logging on as normal everything was gone Desktop icons and folders gone settings gone my docs gone Now here s the bizzare part at C Documents and Settings his folder still exists All files are in place everything is great When I was setting up his backup application I noticed another phenominon his My Documents and Desktop are listed as being located at C Documents and Settings TEMP My Documents etc Nothing has changed Why is his log in now associated with a TEMP directory Could it be a Windows Solved: User Folder still there, Settings gone (XP Pro) Update perhaps I ve watched him log on I know he s doing it right What the devil is causing this problem Help Anyone EDIT He s running WinXP Pro SP with Office SP It s a Dell Latitude D with GB RAM nbsp

Relevancy 44.29%

So I started my computer last night to find my user settings would load properly, so the system "installed" the default user settings (just the general factory settings). Yes, I was freaked out. After a system restore I found that the settings still wouldn't load. If I go Control Panel> My Docs there is nothing there but the default, but if I browse my hard drive's Doc and Settings folder I find all of my files and settings where they should be - so for some reason they are just not loading for my main user.

Anyone have an idea what might fix this? I have tried a ScanDisk which didn't seem to help, and the system restore doesn't do anything either.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/user-docs-and-settings-not-loading-wha-221926.html
Relevancy 44.29%

I'm not griping this time!

I've set up a limited account on my computer, and when I was testing it out, I noticed that I was able to manipulate the settings to the anti-virus program that's installed. How do I, using my administrator account, prevent the limited account from messing with it? I've hidden as many folders as possible, but the task bar icon is still visible and I can't hide it. And I can't right-click the task bar icon and mess with the security settings that way.

A:User account permission settings

Robwood,

The problem is more with your Internet Security software than with Vista. If you make the files for the Internet Security software inaccessible to a limited user - that software might not work properly for that user. Most Internet Security software (i.e. Norton, McAfee) allows you to install parental controls and give you the ability to control WHAT Windows users can or cannot do (including the manipulation of the software's settings).

What Internet Security Software are you using? Have you installed parental controls? Did you install the software while logged in as "Administrator"?

Let me know and I can probably offer more assistance.

- John

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/user-account-permission-settings-244097.html
Relevancy 44.29%

Hi,
I reinstalled XP3 on my pc which has a corrupted XP2 preinstalled without formatting the drive. After everything's set I still have my previous user accounts in the C:\Documents and Settings. Please help me erase this as it is eating up the memory.
Thanks a lot.

A:Old user accounts on C:\Documents and Settings!

When you go to Start>Control Panel>User Accounts do you see the old accounts?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/old-user-accounts-on-c-documents-and-settings-328680.html
Relevancy 44.29%

Hi my name's David I turned on my computer today and found all my settings my desktop icons my favourites my playlists in Media Player etc were all missing All my programs thought I was using them for the first time it was as if I was a new user When I searched for a document I'd saved to the desktop I found it in Documents and Settings David In Folder Settings Documents in and User Second fact all my documents and pictures were there However in Documents and Settings there Second User Folder in Documents and Settings now appears to be a second user folder called David DAVID- BA C that doesn't contain any of my documents or settings and I appear Second User Folder in Documents and Settings to be accessing that account instead of my normal user Second User Folder in Documents and Settings account So my computer has created a second rogue account that I am logged in as I tried to Change User but the only option was 'David' and that took me back to the David DAVID- BA C desktop I am the only person who uses my computer I tried changing the name of the user account from 'David' to 'Steve' in Control Panel User Accounts This had the affect of changing the name of Documents and Settings David My Documents to Documents and Settings David Steve's Documents However when I tried to change users the only option was called 'Steve' and it took me back to the David DAVID- BA C desktop This means that any changes I make to my user settings the computer applies to 'David' and Windows thinks I am 'David' but I can only log in as 'David DAVID- BA C ' This is causing a number of problems for my programs such as Live Messenger which won't let me sign in Please help me I would be happy to supply any futher details

A:Second User Folder in Documents and Settings

try creating a new user account and see if you can access that ok, and create a new document (anything will do). If you are ok accessing that, then migrate all your docs over to the new account. Hope the following will give you some idea: How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile in Windows XP

Can you post back and let me know if you are able to create and access a new user account.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/second-user-folder-in-documents-and-settings-560918.html
Relevancy 44.29%

Hey guys is there a way for a single PC with XP to set a default user setting so that every local accounts created will have the same setting s applied.

A:Default Settings for a User Account

Hi cryingvalor !

Microsoft support does help sometimes
How to create a custom default user profile

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/default-settings-for-a-user-account-176091.html
Relevancy 44.29%

IS there anyway i can copy the LAN/network settings of one user account to another?

A:How to IMport user settings from one account to another?

Hi this may help Easily Backup & Import Your Wireless Network Settings in Windows 7 - How-To Geek

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/how-to-import-user-settings-from-one-account-to-another-580310.html
Relevancy 44.29%

hello there,

I just joined a couple of minutes ago...
the problem that i have is that Windows XP keeps reseting my user settings (desktop background, style, start menu, ect...) back to default everytime i restart my pc! I have no idea of whats going on or why it keeps reseating. any reply's will be greatly appreciated. thanks everyone !!!!!

Relevancy 44.29%

I recently replaced my motherboard which because my new one is a different chipset than my old one, required me to repair my windows install. Rather than do that and possibly lose a bunch of stuff in My Documents folder and my extensive Favorites I opted to just do a new install on another partition. So far everything has worked fine but when I tried to get into my old Admin files in my "Documents & Settings" Folder it gave me a red x and said Access Denied.

Anyone know how I get around this and into this folder?

A:Help Accesing Old User Documents & Settings?

Google for "Take Ownership of Files". It's an easy fix.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-accesing-old-user-documents-settings.449685/
Relevancy 44.29%

I setting up Windows XP Professional on my new ThinkPad T60. I am the only one who will use or have access to the computer, and do not want to have to log in or have to enter my password if I haven't used the computer for a while. I set up my desktop computer with Windows XP some time ago, so I know it can be done, but have forgotten how I did it

How do I turn these settings off so that when I boot up I can start using the computer immediately?

Regards, Alex

Regards, Alex

A:Single user security settings

Start, Run and type: control userpasswords2. Uncheck the box for "Users must enter a username and password to use this computer".

It would be wise to password the "Administrator" account and create a separate account for yourself.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/single-user-security-settings.602999/
Relevancy 44.29%

hi,

A few days ago I've erased a user from the control panel, (I'm the only one using my pc and I had 3 different users) anyway, the point is that after doing that, now when I enter in the OS, I don't have anymore my personal configuration, however, everything is saved under the folder of the user that I have deleted.
Now, how can I create again the old user that I've deleted, with all the documents and settings which are saved in the folder of the deleted user?
I hope I made myself clear,
Thank you!

Relevancy 44.29%

Hello- pls help my desktop has changed cant get on the internet and when i try user settings nothing have changed works to search for files it shuts itself off system restore doesnt work either my other user profile seems to work ok any ideas why i would be having this problem thx for the help this is the log for the user with problems- Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Unable to get Internet Explorer version Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C user settings have changed nothing works WINDOWS system LEXBCES EXE C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS system LEXPPS EXE C Program Files Lavasoft Ad-Aware aawservice exe C Program Files Common Files AOL ACS AOLAcsd exe C Program Files Common Files AOL TopSpeed aoltsmon exe C WINDOWS System cisvc exe C WINDOWS System CTsvcCDA exe C WINDOWS System NMSSvc exe C Program Files Eset nod krn exe C WINDOWS system sessmgr exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS wanmpsvc exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Documents and Settings little Desktop HijackThis exe C WINDOWS System cidaemon exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Toolbar LinksFolderName R - Default URLSearchHook is missing O - Global Startup HP Digital Imaging Monitor lnk C Program Files HP Digital Imaging bin hpqtra exe O - Service Ad-Aware Service aawservice - Lavasoft AB - C Program Files Lavasoft Ad-Aware aawservice exe O - Service AOL Connectivity Service AOL ACS - AOL LLC - C Program Files Common Files AOL ACS AOLAcsd exe O - Service AOL TopSpeed Monitor AOL TopSpeedMonitor - America Online Inc - C Program Files Common Files AOL TopSpeed aoltsmon exe O - Service AOL Spyware Protection Service AOLService - Unknown owner - C Program Files Common Files AOL AOL Spyware Protection aolserv exe O - Service Creative Service for CDROM Access - Creative Technology Ltd - C WINDOWS System CTsvcCDA exe O - Service iPod Service - Apple Computer Inc - C Program Files iPod bin iPodService exe O - Service LexBce Server LexBceS - Lexmark International Inc - C WINDOWS system LEXBCES EXE O - Service Intel R NMS NMSSvc - Intel Corporation - C WINDOWS System NMSSvc exe O - Service NOD Kernel Service NOD krn - Eset - C Program Files Eset nod krn exe O - Service WAN Miniport ATW Service WANMiniportService - America Online Inc - C WINDOWS wanmpsvc exe nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-settings-have-changed-nothing-works.611949/
Relevancy 44.29%

Hello,
I was wondering if it is ok to use an account that is a domain admin? technet says use a readonly account, but does that mean it has to be a domain user and not an admin? Please let me know, thank you.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/621aa78e-40e0-48c7-80bb-db4751ab904d/question-about-the-domain-user-settings?forum=mata
Relevancy 44.29%

Hello all....

I'm just wondering what all of you are running (if at all) your UAC at? Post and let us know.

I have mine set at "full"; slider all the way up. I've seen from experience over at x64 that it's a bad idea to operate with it disabled...
People that (supposedly...) know what they're doing getting infected!

Just curious.

See: User Account Control - UAC - Change Notification Settings

Later Ted

A:User Account Control Settings

For now, I have it set to this below while I'm still doing experiments and stuff.

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/416-user-account-control-settings.html
Relevancy 44.29%

I recently got a new computer, and most of windows 8 is pretty cool. But when I try to go to my user settings, I get a messed up screen. Does anyone know why it looks like this? Occasionally this sort of messed up screens happens with the other full screen windows 8 apps too.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/15810-user-settings-screen-messed-up.html
Relevancy 44.29%

Had one of those lovely automatic updates from Microsoft last night and this morning everything was running fine I was having a problem with a program SAI Painter not working the brushes right unrelated to the update and since simply installing and uninstalling the prog didn t work I figured System Restore would So I restore back to one week ago and everything is fine for about four minutes I get the prompt saying the restore was successful and I proceed to delete System User Restore My Settings Ate files off my desktop an extra folder some shortcuts that were there last week that I System Restore Ate My User Settings didn t need And suddenly I get an error It can t find my desktop folder My background disappears and I m left with My Computer My Network Places and Recycle Bin Going to the start menu and clicking All Programs only yields a grayed out box System Restore Ate My User Settings that says quot Empty quot So like most windows users I reboot Once I get to the welcome screen and type my password I sit there with quot Loading Personal Settings quot for twenty minutes and nothing Okay safe mode quot This user profile is not available and you have been logged on as the system s default user quot when I try to log in as Administrator Well crap I can t access the restore here Reboot again Can t get into Administrator AT ALL same problem with my other user Reboot AGAIN use my alternate OS another thing of windows just for such occasions Same message AGAIN can t find the user profile So to sum things up I can t log onto any user safe mode or otherwise System restore ate it I think my stuff is still there but everything is inaccessible I m going to guess this has to do with the Windows Update but I can t log on to do a system restore undo and Last Known Configuration does nothing Called up the tech support guys in Beebity Bobbity India and they want to charge me to have them try to help literally before we started he asked if I had Mastercard or Visa Do not want Any ideas guys nbsp

Relevancy 44.29%

Hi there

My wife and I share a laptop in the livingroom. She uses it for solitaire, browsing etc. and I use it as an entertainment solution, attaching it to the TV using HDMI.

So we both have a user but even so, I have to change sound output between HDMI and the internal speakers and also to change what happens when the lid is closed.

Is it not possible to assign such setting to a user account, so we don't have to change between then all the time?

Regards,
JRohde

A:Maintaining individual user settings

Hmmm... This is a tough one!

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/193671-maintaining-individual-user-settings.html
Relevancy 44.29%

XP Media Center 2002, SP2
32 bit
My Documents\My Music\iTunes is > 14 GB

As yet, undetermined [ ain't bought it yit ] [ ] Vista

The XP computer is unable to access the internet, and network shares.

Can I transfer from the HDD of the XP box, by connecting it, using a SATA connector to USB? I would think so, since USMT & Easy Transfer Wizard support optical disks and flash drives.

I know how to do it within XP.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151

Do I need to install the applications, such as Office, Firefox, Quicke Books on the Vista PC before moving the data?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc748915.aspx

RF123

Relevancy 44.29%

Hi,

This is probably the wrong area for it but I'm desperate for some help.
How do I send an image file via email without the recipient seeing the path it came from. I don't want my personal details ie: author/system/admin/pc name or folder name to be seen by the recipient.
Where do I go and how do I change the settings so my personal details are not disclosed to whomever I send a file to in the future?

Thank you so kindly.

A:alter user settings on vista

the recipent cannot see these knids of details

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/alter-user-settings-on-vista.758156/
Relevancy 44.29%

Are there any types of software that can restore my user account settings to a previous date without using a backup?

A:Restore XP User Account Settings

In order to restore previous settings they would have had to have been saved/backed up some place.
Which settings are you wanting to save?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/restore-xp-user-account-settings.843863/
Relevancy 44.29%

Hi I turned on my computer today and I noticed that all of my tray and desktop icons had no images Seemed rather strange so I killed explorer exe and restarted the process and they were still missing So I rebooted my computer and now my previously set tray and desktop icons are all gone with the exception of the ones from programs installed across all users I started up Chrome and OneDrive and noticed that none of my settings are there anymore and I also checked my downloads folder and saw that it is completely empty with no remnants in the recycle bin I also ran Recuva and could Folder Downloads and Settings Gone User not find the missing files The files in My Documents are still there and all of my programs are still installed and working as well as the drivers So what could have happened Yesterday my computer was working fine I have AVG installed and I haven't been doing anything too weird My computer is a Dell Latitude E Windows Pro SP Thanks EDIT I found my C Users My Profile Downloads but clicking the Downloads button in Windows Explorer doesn't seem to take me there Interesting

A:User Settings and Downloads Folder Gone

Hi. Boot into safe mode and see if anything is different. If it's the same, go to CMD, type in CHKDSK /R and press enter. When asked whether to schedule a disk check on next reboot, type Y and then restart your computer. The disk check will run upon reboot and it's gonna take some time. Do not interfere with the process even if it appears stuck. Do this while plugged in to AC power. This test could last for hours, depending on the size and health of your disk. If it has a lot of bad sectors, it's gonna take really long.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/user-settings-and-downloads-folder-gone-975985.html
Relevancy 44.29%

Can anyone explain to me why I have five "user" folders in C:Documents and Settings ? They are "Administrator", "Owner", "All Users", "Default User", and "Administrator+computer name". Under User Accts. in Control Panel, there is only "Owner(computer administrator)" and "Guest(account off)". The first five seem to make Explorer very bloated and confusing to me. Do I really need all five folders and if so what purpose do they serve?
Thanks

A:Why are there so many "user" folders in C:Documents and Settings?

Hello and welcome,

Each one of those folders represents a user on that system. The amount of folders varies due to how many users and what software is using the computer. Windows XP and Vista don't show these accounts in the user accounts section of the control panel without editing the registry. I would leave the accounts on the system for now.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/231222/why-are-there-so-many-user-folders-in-cdocuments-and-settings/
Relevancy 44.29%

Hi my name s David I turned on my computer today and found all my settings my desktop icons my favourites my playlists in Media Player etc were all missing All my programs thought I was using them for the first time it was as if I was a new user When I searched for a document I d saved to the desktop I found it in Documents and Settings David In fact all my documents and pictures were there Documents in Settings and Second User Folder However in Documents and Settings there now appears to be a second user folder called David DAVID- BA C that doesn t contain any of my documents or settings and I appear to be accessing that account instead of my normal user account So my computer has created a second rogue account that I am logged in as I tried to Change User but the only option was David and that took me back to the Second User Folder in Documents and Settings David DAVID- BA C desktop I am the only person who uses my computer I tried changing the name of the user account from David to Steve in Control Panel User Accounts This had the affect of changing the name of Documents and Settings David My Documents to Documents and Settings David Steve s Documents However when I tried to change users the only option was called Steve and it took me back to the David DAVID- BA C desktop This means that any changes I make to my user settings the computer applies to David and Windows thinks I am David but I can only log in as David DAVID- BA C This is causing a number of problems for my programs such as Live Messenger which won t let me sign in Please help me I would be happy to supply any futher details nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/second-user-folder-in-documents-and-settings.987887/
Relevancy 44.29%

I have no extra user accounts set up. When I start Windows XP it does not ask me to click on a user name. Apparently I've been using the "built in" administrator account on this machine.

And in so doing, I've changed settings, loaded software, etc.

If I do decide to set up a user name for myself (or others) how can I "import all the settings from the "built in" admin account into the new user name?

Thanks

A:Import User account settings

Hi PeteL.

Under Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Files and Settings Transfer Wizard

Nice little tool supplied by XP for such occasion, let us know how you get on.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/import-user-account-settings-368921.html
Relevancy 44.29%

After a trip with my notebook, upon startup W2K informed me that my user settings file was corrupted and, of course, I got a generic W2K screen anew, as if I were starting for the first time...no passwords, no favorites in Explorer etc.

Fortunately (perhaps) I just backuped my system files the day before. My question is, are the user settings saved with the system backup option and therefore restorable? If so, can they be selectively restored or do I have to restore the whole puppy?

Thanks,
Pradhan

Relevancy 44.29%

I installed an APC battery backup yesterday along with the required software. Now every time I boot up, the message about "do I want this program to make changes to your computer" comes up. I have the software installed in my startup folder so don't know why I have to see this at each boot up. Any way to disarm this message? I know the notification area on user accounts control settings probably would do it but not sure if I should change that setting. Thanks.

A:User account notification settings

Hello Patriceltic, and welcome to Seven Forums.

Yeah, I have the same issue with APC PowerChute doing this.

You could use the tutorial below to create a elevated task shortcut to run the C:\Program Files (x86)\APC\APC PowerChute Personal Edition\Display.exe file without a UAV prompt.Elevated Program Shortcut without UAC Prompt - Create
Afterwards, you can use this elevated task shortcut with step 15 in the tutorial below to setup a separate task to run at startup?Task - Create to Run a Program at Startup and Log On
When finished, delete APC UPS Status from the Startup folder in the Start Menu. This will only not give a UAC prompt for administrator accounts though.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/176226-user-account-notification-settings.html
Relevancy 44.29%

Hi

I am trying to install Incredimail but it will not install on my wifes user account(she being the one that will mostly use this program)

I have 4 user settings and all are set to Administrator and when i go to install the program it installs fine and runs great on my setting.However when we switch user it will not open up on her setting.

I uninstalled it and went to install it using her setting but halfway thru install a window appears saying that this user doesnt have privileges and to contact the administrator.

I have double checked her user status and even reverted her back to limited and back again with reboots in between and still no joy.

As she spends her time emailing the WORLD!! I would appreciate any help with this.

Cheers guys

A:Program will not install on All user settings

a6er said:

Hi

I am trying to install Incredimail but it will not install on my wifes user account(she being the one that will mostly use this program)

I have 4 user settings and all are set to Administrator and when i go to install the program it installs fine and runs great on my setting.However when we switch user it will not open up on her setting.

I uninstalled it and went to install it using her setting but halfway thru install a window appears saying that this user doesnt have privileges and to contact the administrator.

I have double checked her user status and even reverted her back to limited and back again with reboots in between and still no joy.

As she spends her time emailing the WORLD!! I would appreciate any help with this.

Cheers guys

This is one of the problems you will encounter with some software. It simply lacks a decent installer. I don't know if the installer offers you a 'all users' option when installing or not, but you would need this to get it to work properly.

Unfortunately I found the FAQ for this program on their site lacking and incomplete, you can check the link here:

http://www.incredimail.com/english/help/searchfaq.asp

I would suggest you send a message explaining the issue to their support team for suggestions to 'install for a user', you should be able to contact them here:

http://www.incredimail.com/english/contactForm.asp?deptSelect=1

Good luck.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/program-will-not-install-on-all-user-settings.699938/
Relevancy 44.29%

Is anyone privy to any application or even a .bat file that can create identical settings for multiple users not on a domain? Trying to cut out the tedious aspect of manually doing this over and over. Thanks in advance.

A:standardizing multiple user settings in XP

im not sure if this will do the trick, heard a lot about it but havent done any reasearch on it but maybe it can help. its called Windows SteadyState

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/sharedaccess/default.mspx

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/standardizing-multiple-user-settings-in-xp.716745/
Relevancy 44.29%

my current windows user profile got corrupt/damaged. So i created a new user profile. How do i transfer all of the settings from the original damaged user profile to the new user profile in windows 2k

computer stats:
windows 2000 sp4

A:how to switch settings between user profiles

You would delete the account, but when it asks to save files you accept then put the files back in their original places for the current account.

The settings....checking bozes for features and things like that will have to be redone.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/24320/how-to-switch-settings-between-user-profiles/
Relevancy 44.29%

I find one user account name called "default user" in C:/documents and settings.

I wonder what it's all about.

A:what is default user in documents and settings

Whenever a new user logs on (the first time), Windows copies the settings from the Default User profile (located at Documents and Settings\Default User) to the newly created user profile. In other words, the Default User profile is as a template which Windows uses in order to initialize new profiles/logins.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/what-is-default-user-in-documents-and-settings-554876.html
Relevancy 44.29%

I have English OS installed, but I sometimes need to read Korean characters. If I change the non-unicode settings to Korean in 'Regional and Language Options' I need to restart. Also, this has the effect of running some games and installers in Korean.
Is it possible in either XP or Vista, to have 2 seperate user accounts, each with different non-unicode settings? I want to simply switch user accounts rather than having to restart every time.
I've tried but I can't figure it out.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/user-accounts-and-non-unicode-settings-212481.html
Relevancy 44.29%

I am attempting to copy user profiles within Windws 2000 to make several identical users, all of whom have access to all software but are unable to break anything. I then need to set up email for all these users using outlook and a proxy server. I need to do this on several machines. Is there a shortcut? The machines are networked but there is no dedicated server.

A:User Profiles/ Copying Settings in 2K

hmm. i think you'd need to create the usernames in windows on each PC then just copy accross the 'docmuments and settings' folder onto each pc.

there is tool on the win2k cd (adduser i think) that lets to add the users from a csv file to save time

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-profiles-copying-settings-in-2k.117143/
Relevancy 44.29%

Greetings!
I am replacing an old WinXP PRO machine with a newer puppy, also a WinXP PRO machine. The original machine has multiple user accounts. I have backed up everything to a remote drive. Can anyone offer the proper protocol to follow to ensure that all of the new user accounts are restored?

Thanks,
Pradhan

A:Protocol for restoring user settings

I'm not too sure about user accounts, but Windows has a utility "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard" (Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools). You should be able to migrate your current setup across to the new machine.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/protocol-for-restoring-user-settings.708811/
Relevancy 44.29%

I have created a second account for me (a limited on) in order not to use the lapton under the admin account. However, after I log-in to the limited, I can't connect to the internet. When I go the Network area in order to try and connect or set uo the connection to the Internet by setting up the connection I get a message saying that I do not have the right to change the settings. Where do I go in the admin account in odrer to set the connection to the Internet for the limited account?

A:Settings in a Limited User Account

first question is, what os? You will only be able to make those changes from admin. Why don't you want to use the admin as your default account?

v

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/settings-in-a-limited-user-account.453021/
Relevancy 44.29%

Whenever I login to windows xp (admin account), every setting, icons, wallpaper is set to its default (original) settings for XP . For example My computer icon gets removed and moves to start menu . The programs I install work well and are not removed,.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/why-my-xp-restores-itself-to-default-user-settings.911559/
Relevancy 44.29%

I have several hundred imaged workstations for which I need to change the performance settings and am trying to determine the best method.

They will be cycling through over the next month for other maintenance, but do not have the personnel resource to re-image them all.

Is there a way to force the changes to the user account through the administrator account or a piece of software that will allow me to push changes remotely?

A:Push Changes to User Performance Settings

From post #1

Quote:
I have several hundred imaged workstations for which I need to change the performance settings and am trying to determine the best method.

Is their a I.T. Department somewhere in the mix?

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/398868-push-changes-user-performance-settings.html
Relevancy 44.29%

- I can t to any not to seems My user changes my computer settings. save HELP see My wallpaper - I can t access my themes even though they are there - I can t HELP My computer seems not to save any changes to my user settings. unlock the taskbar or show the quicklauch buttons - My Keybord language is set to english US and whenever I change it to English international It changes but doesn't save the change - I can t see system or hidden files I go to the folder options click to see them but again the changes are n ot saved - My internet explorer asks me about thos annoying search configurations everytime I start IE up AND of course It won t save my initial quot home quot page I'd say I am infected by a virus But My Norton Dosn t seem to detect anything I've run it or times ever since yesterday I seem to Override those restrictions everytime I create a new user But once I start up the computer again The lockups are there I hope there is SOMEONE out there who can help me

A:HELP My computer seems not to save any changes to my user settings.

Hi Carlosg81 and welcome to TSF

It has come to my attention that you show the symptoms of a malware issue. I and this forum are not specifically trained in the removal of malware so I will now teach you the steps to transfer your case to the Hijackthis Log Help Forum. Follow the steps in this link: (Updated!) IMPORTANT - Read This Before Posting A Log and post your results in the Hijackthis Log Help Forum. Follow the steps to the best of your ability and if you have an issue with one of the steps then include information on it with your new topic. Please give time as our analysts are very busy working with cases and other forum things.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/help-my-computer-seems-not-to-save-any-changes-to-my-user-settings-202386.html
Relevancy 44.29%

I purchased a new Dell 1764 Win 7 Professional about 2-weeks ago and have been learning how to use Win 7 - I consider myself an old XP guy!

I was in the windows explorer to see who was listed inder the Users directory where I found a directory with my name on it. I double clicked and noted the contents of the directory was the same as in XP. I clicked on the Local Settings directory (I temporarily turned off the "hide protected operating system files" option to see if contents was the same) and got a message that access was denied. I was told by a tech that this was normal in Win 7 in order to stop people from changing options, etc. which could cause problems.

My question is this - was the tech correct by saying it was locked for protection? If the answer is yes, then who can access the directory? (I have system administrator rights.

Pierre

A:User account - Local Settings

Hello Pierre,

Yes, he was correct. The faded shortcut protected OS folders are actually only "junction points" to the actual folder instead, and are not real folders. They are used for backwards compatibility for older XP type applications that still reference them by default instead of the newer default locations in Vista and Windows 7 now. They redirect the older application to the new Vista and Windows 7 locations instead.
Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/82265-user-account-local-settings.html
Relevancy 44.29%

Recently, my laptop had gotten the blue screen error. Ever since everything was reinstalled, Windows wouldn't allow me to save any settings(Background, size of caption buttons, etc.). Athough, it does let me change the theme. I was thinking about using a registry edit from Kelly's Korner and it wouldn't let me import the .reg file. It said there was an error accessing the registry. Is there something wrong with the code? Any suggestions would be great.
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"SystemTray"="SysTray.Exe"

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell]
"BagMRU Size"=dword:00001f40

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam]
"BagMRU Size"=dword:00001f40

A:Windows XP won't save user settings- Help?

There's no error with the .reg file, there's an error with your registry. What have you recently done with your computer that could have caused this problem?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-wont-save-user-settings-help.855805/
Relevancy 44.29%

Is there an easy way to have a profile for every user than logs on to a machine with the desktop, pinned programs, theme, wallpaper, and favorites already set?

In Windows XP all I did was set up a profile how I wanted it under Administrator, logged on to another administrator account, and copied the NTUSER.DAT file from the Administrator to override the one in Default User. After that I logged back into Administrator to delete all the other user accounts. This doesn't seem to work with Windows 7, and there is both "Default" and "Default User" profiles.

A:Default user profile settings

I'd like to figure this out as well. I have this tutorial I haven't been able to try yet.

"I got this to work, but it's no where near as elegant as with XP and Vista via the User Profile "copy to" method above:

Customize a user profile as needed
Go to Control Panel and create a new dummy admininstrator
Reboot, log in as the dummy admin
Browse to C: and go into the Folder settings and Show all hidden/system files
Browse to C:\Users and CTRL-drag the Default folder to make a second (backup) copy of it
Browse to C:\Users and CTRL-drag the customized user profile to make a second copy of it
SHIFT-DEL the original Default folder
Rename the customized folder copy to Default
Create a new dummy admin and reboot/log in to test it

I've not tested this extensively yet but this seemed to work with the exception that the desktop background pic was gone leaving a black background. I fixed this easily by re-selecting the correct background pic.

I really hope that MS restores the previous method as this seems very sketchy to me and I'd hate to have to use this in a production environment"

Windows 7 RC1 Default User Profile

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/16137-default-user-profile-settings.html
Relevancy 44.29%

Hi I was hoping someone here could help me out I've not had a problem in the last months I've hand windows bit and I have User reseting settings and not saving. made no changes since I User settings reseting and not saving. last used my laptop but there appears to have been User settings reseting and not saving. some sort of problem with it saving my user information or something since User settings reseting and not saving. I used it last night When I turned it on I noticed and encountered the following problems Desktop background reset to default apparent duplicates of shortcuts and other desktop icons appeared which in reality was the moving of my icons to a different part of the screen and leaving an after image of the icon in its original place Similarly this was done with icons pinned on the taskbar which now sat behind it All of these icons persisted when normally changing the background but disappeared after using a different pre-made theme Background picture missing on saved themes When trying to recreate a theme when choosing windows colour desktop background etc it changes the colour or background but still appears as the original in the personalisation menu and does not allow it to be saved Objects from start menu have disappeared when attempting to pin objects to start menu or taskbar nothing happens Programs appear to believe it is your first time using them i e ccleaner looking for cookies firefox is no longer the default browser autoplay actions when putting a usb in are no longer following the quot do this action for all things of this type quot rule changed keyboard layout to American My and quot are reversed default programs to open files has been reset and it does not remember changes i e PNG opens with fireworks not windows viewer and still does so when you choose windows view as the default program I am no computer expert so any help in working out what is wrong and how to fix it would be much obliged All I can guess at is somewhere on the computer where it keeps my personal information it's became corrupt or something for whatever reason and thus it has forgotten my preferences on most things but I don't understand why I can't recreate the settings i e pinning to taskbar creating themes My virus scan and found nothing and nor did error-checking my drive Thanks in advance for any help I do receive

A:User settings reseting and not saving.

Ok after more looking around I finally found my answer, My user profile was corrupt but I had not been given any notification about it.

I've resolved it by creating 2 other user accounts, and while being logged into only one of the two new accounts, transferred most of my user settings from my corrupt account to the other new one found at C/Users/"username"

Once that was done I deleted my old account, created a new one with the same name and moved it all back again. There is still a few tweaks like setting default programs and the like again but I can do it again now.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/user-settings-reseting-and-not-saving-639914.html
Relevancy 44.29%

Since the recent MS Framework download, the bootup stops at a screen for me to log on before loading my settings. I am the only user, and I don't want to have to click a second time to have everything loaded.

This is just another annoyance from the same stable as the "Other users are logged on to this computer..." message which makes it impossible to go into standby mode. How can I fix it that the PC knows there is only one user of this computer.

A:Why Pause To Load My Settings, When There Is No Other User

1. Click Start, and then click Run. 2. In the Open box, type control userpasswords2, and then click OK.Note When users try to display help information in the User Accounts window in Windows XP Home Edition, the help information is not displayed. Additionally, users receive the following error message:Cannot find the Drive:\Windows\System32\users.hlp Help file. Check to see that the file exists on your hard disk drive. If it does not exist, you must reinstall it. 3. Clear the "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" check box, and then click Apply. 4. In the Automatically Log On window, type the password in the Password box, and then retype the password in the Confirm Password box. 5. Click OK to close the Automatically Log On window, and then click OK to close the User Accounts window. How to turn on automatic logon in Windows XPhttp://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...;EN-US;Q315231&You can also use TweakUI/Logon/Autologonhttp://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloa...ppowertoys.mspx

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44702/why-pause-to-load-my-settings-when-there-is-no-other-user/