Windows Support Forum

Problems - Admin Permissions / App Install / UAC, Admin can't access Public files

Q: Problems - Admin Permissions / App Install / UAC, Admin can't access Public files

Hi everyone Here is my latest Vista woe s Dell Inspiron gbRAM gb HDD Core duo T GHz Vista Home Prem - auto update AvastHome Windows Defender AVGAntispyware RUBotted Threatfire Some background I have profiles on the machine Admin which is my original Admin account I've used it to install apps etc Basic which is my everyday non-admin profile that I use for just about everything New Admin files Admin can't App Admin - Permissions Problems / Install UAC, Public / access which is a new admin account I created for trouble shooting but it has the same problems that the original one has There are basic issues I'll use one particular instance as an example but it's not the only instance AND it's an intermittent issue - sometimes problem happens sometimes it doesn't Ten minutes after this instance I downloaded and installed an app and it ran fine In my Basic profile I downloaded Skype and saved the file to my Public Downloads folder I right-clicked quot run as administrator quot Problems - Admin Permissions / App Install / UAC, Admin can't access Public files to try and install Problems - Admin Permissions / App Install / UAC, Admin can't access Public files and got this error Windows cannot access the specified device path or file You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item I tried just clicking it to run it without quot run as administrator quot and got the same error I did some searching on the error and found some postings elsewhere but most were very old and in WinXP instead of Vista but I tried investigating the things mentioned in those posts - I ran the AVG scan and removal tool for the Gaelicum A virus - it didn't find anything - I checked the properties of the file and it did not say anything about coming from another computer and needing to be unblocked - I logged out of my Basic profile and logged into my Admin profile and all the same problems happened - I logged into my New Admin profile and all the same things happened In my New Admin profile I copied the file from the Public Downloads folder and tried pasting it into my New Admin's own Downloads folder and got this error Destination Folder Access Denied You'll need to provide administrator permission to copy this file NOTE This happened IN MY ADMIN PROFILE Click quot Continue quot and get this message User Account Control Windows needs your permission to continue If you started this action continue File Operation Microsoft Windows AD - - - - B BDB E Click quot continue quot and the installer begins It runs a while and then I get this message the dialog box says its a message from Skype but I've gotten similar messages from other software I've tried to install Cannot write the installation package on the disk Please make sue that you have the necessary disk space available There are GB available on this disk This is not a new problem so I can't think to associate it with any particular software change and so 'restoring' to an earlier time isn't helpful because it's not tied to any particular time that I can identify I haven't changed hardware AND the associated issue at least I think it's associated is that sometimes installing apps in one profile doesn't flow thru to the other profiles and I can't find any rhyme or reason to that - I've had this happen whether I install the apps while in my Admin account while in my Basic account and using quot run as administrator quot to install or whether I'm in my Admin account and using quot run as administrator quot EVEN THOUGH I'm IN MY ADMIN account because some apps seem to require that kind of thing Then the icons for that app won't show up in different profiles' start menus I can't even search for the apps - have to sometimes dig into C xx to find an executable to create a shortcut Sometimes then trying to run the app and I'm talking about something basic like maybe a PDF viewer or something like that it says I need administrator permissions to run it I'm so tired of all this Can someone please help me I'm hoping that by giving all this info at the start it will help rule out a bunch of stuff and make it easier to zero in on the issue Thanks in advance Buck

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Problems - Admin Permissions / App Install / UAC, Admin can't access Public files

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Problems - Admin Permissions / App Install / UAC, Admin can't access Public files

Helloooooo??? Anybody out there?

I'd really appreciate any help you can offer me.

[UPDATE] incidentally, since writing this I have been able to install a couple of other small apps (but have also run into the same problem on a couple of others).

Thanks
Buck

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/problems-admin-permissions-app-install-uac-admin-cant-access-public-files-260867.html
Relevancy 83.39%

Hi!

I have a problem and I hope someone could help me. After a fresh installation of windows xp (sp3) nothing can work. I can't open any program or .exe file, I can't open properties on my computer, control panel or anything, I can't even open a notepad -.- . I have read on many websites how to resolve it but it isn't helpful. I'm the administator and I don't know what to do it. I would crash my system and up again but neither that can't....

Please help!
(ps: my english write isn't great, but I hope u will understand.. )

A:Admin doesn't have appropriate permissions to access .exe files?

Hi and Welcome to TSF!

Since its a new install, have you thought about just reinstalling Windows again?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/admin-doesnt-have-appropriate-permissions-to-access-exe-files-908010.html
Relevancy 82.46%

I'm running Windows Vista home to files?? have doesn't access Admin .exe [SOLVED] permissions appropriate edition -bit I'm logged in as the administrator and yes I've tried right clicking and selecting quot run as administrator quot Any file I download gives me the same error message since I restored my computer Not sure what happened I have a firewall virus protection all the latest Windows updates that [SOLVED] Admin doesn't have appropriate permissions to access .exe files?? I need since I restored The complete error message is quot Windows cannot access the specified device path or file You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item quot Never had this problem before couldn't find any helpful info on the Microsoft website getting kind of annoying now It doesn't matter where I download the file to either -- downloads folder of my documents default or desktop still doesn't install Very well known trusted programs I'm trying to install --- Adobe Reader AIM iTunes Nothing works I tried to provide as much information as possible that I thought was necessary Let me know if I left something important out Any suggestions

A:[SOLVED] Admin doesn't have appropriate permissions to access .exe files??

right click on the drive you have them saved to

choose properties

security tab

advanced

set the effective permissions

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-admin-doesnt-have-appropriate-permissions-to-access-exe-files-415233.html
Relevancy 107.93%

Hi guys when my pc gets to the first screen where you choose your account my admin account has changed from my name to 'Other user' and when I click on it it asks for a username and password. Also trying to access files from the admin account when it prompts me with a password I enter it and the dialogue box goes away as if it has accepted the password but does not let me access the files. Any help appreciated thanks.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/381483-admin-account-corrupted-cant-access-files-using-admin-p-w.html
Relevancy 100.19%

I have a laptop that had some spyware and trojans.Mcafee,Trendmicro, and spybot say it's clean now, but there is 2 issues leftover from them.

1.) Microsoft Updates will not install, including SP3. It will start to install, then cancel itself. I have attached a screen shot of the SP3.

2.) Administrator's permissions are not quite right. For example, Logged on as administrator, Going to MSconfig to modify startup items, I get an error saying access denied, Need admin permissions. I have checked and the admin login still is under the administrators group and debuggers group. I attached a screen shot of that also.

Thanks for any ideas

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/sp3-install-and-admin-permissions-297096.html
Relevancy 98.9%

So I've been trying to modify my hosts file for a while now. On and off because I was fed up with searching and trying different things then always ending up failing.
So that is why I am posting on this forum, asking for help from you guys.

So far I have tried:
Unchecking Read-Only for the file and the 'etc' folder
Opening Notepad as administrator
Taking ownership
Activating the 'Hidden Admin Account'
Made sure I had all the right permissions for the file (right click 'hosts', properties, security, etc.)

I might or might not have forgotten something. Also, there is only one account on my laptop and it is me. And I am the admin.

Thank your for reading.

A:Hosts: always Access Denied or asking for Admin permissions

I was able to do it through notepad running as an administrator... What happened when you tried? Can you upload a screenshot?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/200740-hosts-always-access-denied-asking-admin-permissions.html
Relevancy 98.04%

I recently purchased a new laptop. It was set up in the store, where they created a local account, with my name misspelt. I switched to a Microsoft account, for ease of use. However, I am now encountering some permissions problems. I am unable to delete some folders, because of inadequate permissions, and when I tried to replace the multiple user lock screen picture
it said that I required permission from my misspelt local account. How can I either transfer all permissions to my Microsoft account?

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/73332-having-problems-permissions-although-i-am-admin.html
Relevancy 98.04%

Hi,

I am new user to the Windows Vista Home premium. My laptop is being shared with some family children. I given them the Standard User Account and applied various security policies regarding their computer usage.

But I need help regarding the following:-
1. How can I restrict a Standard User from using Removable Media like CD, DVD, USB.
2. How can I disable "Delete Browsing History" or "Internet Options" for the internet explorer for a standard user.

Kindly help me in this regard ASAP. I have searched on net but nothing fruitful can be done even on changing Registry.

Regards,
Raj Kumar Arora

A:Some Solutions for an Admin to control user access permissions

All of these apply to all users.
The Only way to do it is to disable the optical drive/usb under device manager, and disable internet options/menu options (User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet Explorer\Browser menus) .

This has to be done through the admin account/ and will affect ALL accounts. This would be a tedious task to perform every time the admin/standard user wanted to log on/off. You would be better off dual booting two Operating Systems- and letting the kids use the newly added restricted one.

http://www.vistax64.com/system-security/182129-some-solutions-admin-control-user-access-permissions.html
Relevancy 98.04%

I'm hunting for a resolution.

I'm trying to delete a number of files from a directory that I'm trying to delete. All the files in this directory are modifiable by the system only (checked the permissions and admin doesn't have full permissions on these files). I've run in safe mode and no joy. I've tried using the cmd prompt and no joy.

I just want to get rid of these files. Can you help?

A:System has Permissions on Files but Admin doesn't

Nevermind, it's so new of an install I'm just going to do a fresh installation.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/287918-system-has-permissions-files-but-admin-doesnt.html
Relevancy 96.75%

Can someone tell me what the permissions for the Builtin Administrator group is for the Program Files Folder Properties the Program FIles default permissions admin What on the are Folder? Security The system I m working on has NO permissions for the administrators group which I understand may be normal and Read Read amp Execute and List Folder Contents for the Users group I can t remember the other groups accounts right now I don t have a nd Vista system to look at and can only access this one remotely using PC Helpware What are the default admin permissions on the Program FIles Folder? I m helping a friend with a gateway laptop running Vista Home Premium recover from gateway s botched attempt to fix things she now has windows old folders taking up of her hard drive and gateway support was only able to re-install a couple of her apps I can download the drivers and pull the installers off the recovery partition and I know how to take ownership and assign permissions to the Program Files folder so I can clean up some junk but want to know what the defaults are so I can set them back once I m done TIA Jerry nbsp

Relevancy 94.6%

Hello All I'm delighted No to accounts change /Cannot Admin admin user account existing Access to have found you and after a long day of trying to help myself i am now requiring your much appreciated assistance please I'm not a techy person at all and am hoping someone can help Last week my husband purchased a new hp laptop which No Admin Access /Cannot change existing user accounts to admin account came with Windows On setup i used my No Admin Access /Cannot change existing user accounts to admin account microsoft account to login with a pin the account was setup as administrator No Admin Access /Cannot change existing user accounts to admin account thinking i could change things later About days later i added a standard user account for my husband with a microsoft account login with pin I wanted to make his the administrator account but thought i had better change mine to a standard account first My mistake Now i cannot change anything i have tried to use the cmd prompt to run as administrator - it asks for administrator permission and does not allow me to enter a password or yes I have tried all suggestions to enable the hidden windows account but all ask for the same permission I have tried to go to setup recovery troubleshoot advanced option system restore - it requests an administrator password and when i entered what i thought is mine it does not work Feeling a little Does anybody know anyway i can go back in time to start again or how do i access administrator rights as i really need to add programs etc Thank you for any help given

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/61945-no-admin-access-cannot-change-existing-user-accounts-admin-account.html
Relevancy 94.6%

Hi

Ive stumbled across a problem that has been causing me grief for a few days now, every time I try to access my hard drive (C disk) it says, access is denied. Also, i cant edit permissions because I've lost admin rights. Ive tried many things including unlocking the system admin, this lets me access a few extra things like being able to use the sfc command in cmd, however, it doesn't allow me to access the C disk or change permission because it also has lost admin rights? I fear that this is a bad problem and I don't know how it happened. I have tried restoring to a previous date and that doesn't work either.

Any help and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Shimin4tor

A:[SOLVED] Access denied to C disk and lost admin rights to system admin account

Hi and welcome to TSF so you have tried win 7 hidden admin Enable the (Hidden) Administrator Account on Windows 7 or Vista
have you installed or downloaded anything in the recent past

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-access-denied-to-c-disk-and-lost-admin-rights-to-system-admin-account-693530.html
Relevancy 93.31%

Frustrated with admin rights - Please help me.

Just purchased new PC - HP Pavilion desktop and upgraded to Windows 10 during installation. I've downloaded Google Chrome as my default search engine with no issues. I've attempted several times to download Google Earth. Download fails: "Google Earth needs administrator privileges to install."

I am the only user on this PC and User Account type indicates that I'm the "Administrator".

Why won't Google Earth install?

A:Google Earth won't install - admin privileges required (I am admin)

Hello and welcome!

Sometimes you have to run the installation file and deliberately make it "Run as Administrator" by right clicking on the downloaded file and selecting this option. Not sure if this is the case with Google Earth but worth a try.

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/33461-google-earth-wont-install-admin-privileges-required-i-am-admin.html
Relevancy 93.31%

We have a script that installs a program (Office 2007). It then imports some registry file settings. It imports HKLM and HKCU. We have noticed that if this is installed as a local admin, the settings seem to take if we scan the box as a local admin(we are running a security scan to determine this (the security scan checks multiple gpo's supposed to be set by the program/reg imports). If we scan as a domain admin, the system doesn't seem to show they are set. We believe we see the opposite if it's installed as a domain admin. For the domain scan they are set, for the local scan they are not. Does this have to do with how you can change registry entries as a domain admin versus local admin? The registry settings are imported with reg.exe import filename.reg like commands in the .bat script. Any ideas are helpful.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/gpo-settings-reg-files-local-admin-versus-domain-admin.984826/
Relevancy 92.45%

Recently I did a clean install from the windows installation tool off a CD I made. Soon after logging on and making my first account (again!) I couldn't open the C drive. I messed with the owner options and made my account the owner so I could open it. Possibly before or maybe after (I'm not sure) I realised I wasn't able to use any admin settings, (like add another account or see advanced system settings) open any applications that required admin rights (like CMD or any installation file) or do anything in the system menu. I've tried to look up the solution but can't find anything that fits the description of my problem. Any help is welcome. Thanks in advance for at least reading this.

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/59249-no-admin-rights-admin-account-after-clean-install.html
Relevancy 91.59%

I've been trying to remove all my sims 3 games cause they aren't working they are saying version 0.0.0.0 but my computer tells me i have insufficient access please contact system administrator, I'm the only one that uses this computer and I am the administrator Ive been trying to uninstall it for weeks now and have tried force uninstall programs as well can anyone please help me?

A:cant uninstall programs says need admin access but i am the admin

Did you try the free version of Revo Uninstaller?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/cant-uninstall-programs-says-need-admin-access-but-i-am-the-admin-701354.html
Relevancy 88.15%

So, here's what I did.
Fresh install of Windows 7 x64 Pro.
Default initial user is "Benjamin"
created a second user, "Adam"
created a third user, "root"

Next security setup.
I removed administrator privileges from Benjamin.
Adam was created with no administrator privileges.
root was given administrator privileges.

Then I went into the local security policy to deny root from logging into the system locally.

Well, I learned that yes, this prevents root from logging into his account as a desktop user, but I did not expect it to prevent me from temporarily escalating my privileges to administrator while logged in as Benjamin.

I'm used to a Linux environment where it is normal that root can not log in but you can escalate. Is it possible to regain control of my system or do I need to reinstall?

Thanks in advance,

A:How do I unlock admin with no admin access

WinInternals Locksmith or reinstall

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/188182-how-do-i-unlock-admin-no-admin-access.html
Relevancy 87.72%

Hi,

I share a computer with my brother and we are both Admin users (different accounts), which is required to allowed Asus thermal control software to run. It is Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

The questions is: Is there anyway to stop Admin account from viewing & deleting files for other users. I have tried encryption, but it still allows the files to be accessed. Is this just a design flow from Microsoft??

thanks

A:limiting Admin access to files

Design flow? I assume you mean design flaw...well no, it is not a design flaw. You are both administrators you both can have absolute power over the computer. The flaw is in your setup. You want to restrict what someone can do, do not give them administrative power. That is all there is to it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/207989-limiting-admin-access-files.html
Relevancy 87.29%

I am configuring a newly built computer with Win fresh new full install Pro All had been going well until I tried to install Zone Alarm and found problems with it accepting and registering the license After a couple of chat sessions things pointed to Permissions issues At that point I did some reading and discovered that my default Administrator account was not active so I ran commands to fix that That still did not allow me to delete some of the Zone Alarm folders or to install? circumvent Permissions to "issues" with fresh Way admin have the license quot stick quot in the registry I also tried the following permissions quot fix quot for administrator Way to circumvent admin Permissions "issues" with fresh install? accounts but that did not help Enable the Administrator account and set its password Reboot into Safe Mode Log on as Administrator Click Start Type the three letters cmd Press Ctrl Shift Enter Run the process as Administrator Type the following commands and press Enter after each takeown f Q a r d y icacls Q t c grant administrators F System F quot UserName quot F Answer quot yes quot when prompted quot Are you sure quot Replace Q with the actual drive letter on the problem disk Administrator can amp t access folders in Windows - Microsoft Answers As I am not that far into software loading on the computer I thought I would do a complete reinstall unless anyone has a magic fix for the permissions problem Assuming a reinstall can fix this how do I assure that the default administrator account is active and my personal administrator account has in fact the full privileges that I would expect I had read one suggestion that only one administrator account should have full privileges and personal accounts should all be standard and I can see where that would be valuable for a domain but my computer is in my home on a small home LAN in the middle of nowhere so I don't want to go through changing to the administrator account every time I want to load a new program unless that strategy is the consensus of those on this forum Thanks Ken K

A:Way to circumvent admin Permissions "issues" with fresh install?

Do not so those steps - it will cause problems like infinite loops via virtualized folders.

Zone Alarm has caused problems for others using W7. The firewall that comes with W7 should be enough.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/244832-way-circumvent-admin-permissions-issues-fresh-install.html
Relevancy 86.86%

I hope someone can help me Just this morning i booted up as normal and the always annoying UAC stopped when account admin admin Admin checked! is even being notifications kept Admin account stopped being admin even when admin is checked! popping up I was sure i had disabled these Then i went to use my music software and it said that this account Admin account stopped being admin even when admin is checked! didn't have admin privileges I checked my user account and the check box states that is is an admin account and that UAC is turnd off i only have one account anyways Ive looked on google extensively Tried making new profiles and copy the old one over but that only worked to a certain point - lots of programs didn't work lost mail settings etc Not really workable Tried system restore to no avail Tried using the vista admin account and changing my account - rebooting - etc No change My guess is that something has got Admin account stopped being admin even when admin is checked! corrupt in my user profile and windows is not remembering that i should be an admin I can't use my software and i have a deadline Any one who can help will win a magical prize or something Jen

A:Admin account stopped being admin even when admin is checked!

Welcome
Should be easy, create a New Administrator account and give it permissions to use the software.
User Account - Create
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...rs-groups.html
Procedure for Seven is the Same as For Vista.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/294399-admin-account-stopped-being-admin-even-when-admin-checked.html
Relevancy 86.86%

Hi,
I have been looking for this answer for 2 days and can not find anyone who has had similair problem.

THere are 2 accounts Administrator and Kenmystro/administrator. I have the password for both and can access both. win 7 Ultimate Hp8510.
I have already selected all user permissions and taken ownership in every box I could find for Kenmystro/admin. the UAC is at minimum and the security centre is off. Run as admin on right click does not help.
It does not matter which of the 2 accounts I log into when I try install certain HP software(Maintenance
& some drivers) it says I do not have admin privileges.

This is driving me nuts can anyone help??

Relevancy 86.86%

I've posted about this the other day, and I now have reason to believe that a virus is part of the problem. I have an admin account, and every other account on my computer is an admin account, yet none of them can access MSCONFIG, or install stuff. I get registry errors when I try to install, but I can still access REGEDIT.

Anyone had this problem and knows how to fix it (short of re-formatting)?

Relevancy 86.86%

As an admin on my machine, I need (and want) unfettered access to all files and
folders. I don't want to discuss merits of it. But I can't really spend 2-3 minutes
manually obtaining ownership of each and every file I want to change. Is it possible to
do it from one single settings somewhere?

A:Full Access to all files/folder for admin. How?

For your protection windows makes it difficult for you to do things that may cause problems. There is a secret built in administrator account, that can do everything easily. It is suggeted that users do not take advantage of this function, but here it is. Use carefully.

Built-in Administrator Account - Enable or Disable[2]=User Accounts

s

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/49456-full-access-all-files-folder-admin-how.html
Relevancy 86.86%

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate - and I've noticed that from a secondary standard account, users can access the admin's files (my files) from simply going into C:/users/xxx... or by accessing them from windows search.

I want to prevent this from happening - I've tried preventing access to my user folder, but it is still accessible from another account. Scouring Google hasn't brought me results either Can anyone help resolve this problem?

A:Standard User Can Access Admin's Files

have you given admin rights to the User account in qestion?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/114523-standard-user-can-access-admins-files.html
Relevancy 86.86%

Ok, so I used Window's XP's System Recovery tool to do a system recovery. It was NOT a full system recovery so my old files are in tact. However, the new system admin, Owner, cannot access files from the old system admin. The folders for all of the other users on the computer found in Documents and Settings are accessible. Just not the old admin, that folder gives a 'permission denied' error when I try to open it. Its too bad the old admin's files are the most important. Has anyone seen this or have an idea on how to get at those files?

A:used system recovery and can't access old admin files

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/used-system-recovery-and-cant-access-old-admin-files.554143/
Relevancy 86.86%

Good morning everyone!!

I'm about to put this computer through the wall

Here is what happened:

I transfered all of my files form my laptop to my desktop last night with the Windows Vista Transfer Cable. NOW....when I try to access documents Vista is telling me that I don't have permission?! I turned off the UAC on both computers and I have admin rights on both screen names. What seems to be the problem? It only does it on certain documents. I even looked at the properties of the folder the document is in to see what kind of permission were set in it and it says that everyone is able to view/edit.

Please help me not call a handy man to patch up a hole in the wall

Thanks!

A:Solved: Can't access files even with Admin rights?!?!?!

What folder are you trying to access?

Remember that your files were put in the "Documents" not MY Documents folder.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-cant-access-files-even-with-admin-rights.745269/
Relevancy 86.86%

Okay guys this actually happened a while back and I never got round to fixing it, but basically when I turn my PC I see my guest account and what used to be my admin account, it used to be called Curt and now is saying Other user and I actually have to type the name and password in and it says that it is incorrect. It's also running very slowly so it takes a while for normal actions. Help is hugely appreciated, thank you.

A:Admin account corrupted, can't access it or any of its files.

Quote: Originally Posted by curtfh

...I actually have to type the name and password in and it says that it is incorrect....

I would use the tool mentioned in option 5 of this tutorial to remove the password:
User Account - Reset Password in Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/390781-admin-account-corrupted-cant-access-any-its-files.html
Relevancy 86.86%

Hi guys Windows XP HE Sp For the past week I have been getting the following error message quot Windows cannot access the specified device path or access Admin any as .exe no logged sound, Cannot on plus files, file You may not have the appropropriate permissions to access the file quot when trying to run most exe files not certain if it s all exe files or only the ones I have been Cannot access any .exe files, plus no sound, logged on as Admin trying I can run these files in safe mode so I have tried disabling my spyware programmes and even today I have uninstalled my Antivirus I m using a different pc to use the internet right now as the antivirus Avira free was the only program I had left running In normal mode I couldn t uninstall Avira as Cannot access any .exe files, plus no sound, logged on as Admin it wouldn t give me the uninstall option on the programs list and in Add Remove it stated that Avira was not on my computer and I had just updated it at the time but it allowed me to uninstall in safe mode I have tried System restore but guess Cannot access any .exe files, plus no sound, logged on as Admin what it won t allow me to do that either For each point I have created it says it didn t succeed and to choose another restore point but it says this with each and every one Also there has been no sound on the computer since the same time I think or at least didn t notice the problem until I went to see what was up with the sound so the sound problem could have happened slightly before or after In the device manager C-Media AC has that yellow exclaimation mark beside it I ve tried reinstalling etc etc nothing has worked It says there is a problem with this device code but all the fixes out there that I have tried haven t worked Can anyone help me please Lu PS forgot to mention I think all this may have begun happening after Worm Koobface was detected and removed by Malywarebytes

A:Cannot access any .exe files, plus no sound, logged on as Admin

*Bump*?? Anyone got any ideas?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/271381/cannot-access-any-exe-files-plus-no-sound-logged-on-as-admin/
Relevancy 85.57%

I have a few computers, and on one I could not remember the password for the life of me. I really wanted to get access to some of the files on there, so i tried removing the hard drive and adding it to this machine here as a slave drive, which also runs vista. This computer has no passwords at all enabled. And... it worked although it added the other hard drive as the C (and partitioned F drive) ! Now I have access to the hard drive and all of it's contents (after a few permission checks for some of the important files) but I really like the other computer better. It has a better graphics card, processor, etc. Is there any way I can change or delete a file so i can put the other computer back together and have it working properly with no passwords or at least a new one?

A:Can not remember admin password, but i have access to ALL of the files. How to reset?

Content removed.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can-not-remember-admin-password-but-i-have-access-to-all-of-the-files-how-to-reset.1073863/
Relevancy 85.57%

hey there I with can't admin C: rights access move adminstrator no or files seem to be having some issues with my laptop I have windows installed on it adminstrator with no admin rights can't access or move files C: and it had been acting adminstrator with no admin rights can't access or move files C: very slow I deleted some files etc and freed up my hard drive space then playing around with permissions and my user account i had suspected I had hacker on my system I changed permission on my C to admin only or something like that I am the only user account admin and had a guest account i disabled anyway after that the next time i turned my computer on i noticed my recycle bin had been emptied which i never did and i couldn't open the c drive I tried safe mode system restore etc and it said i needed administrator rights I searched on google and downloaded malwarebites and ran that it picked up viruses or something said to restart the computer which i did when i restarted the computer malwaresbites didn't work anymore and i couldn't open programs properly oh i might add before this i had been looking at my services and resource monitor and saw there were addresses established and listening on ports etc so i tried to disable a few and make my firewall better though i am not tech savvy i am not sure if i did any damage but now i can't access user accounts firewall settings network settings and heap of other things I am affraid that a virus or hacker or something is using my computer and accessing files as there was a few dodgy things i saw when i could see resource monitor someone printing documents and pictures of my work I downloaded takeownership to try and take back my c though the program would open black screen then disappear quickly I have an external hard drive i wanted to use to back up my work files personal pictures movies music etc but i couldn't transfer them because c drive is not accessible and i need permission from the administrator which is me lol to do it I tried going into permissions and all that now it won't let me change anything the only way i could save on my external hardrive was to open a word document and then click save as to the drive which is cool though i have near gigs to back up and a lot of files i can't do one by one like that my question is what can i do to back up my files I am pretty sure my laptop is screwed hope someone can help have been trying for the past weeks

A:adminstrator with no admin rights can't access or move files C:

Download UBCD here. At the boot menu select Parted Magic and follow this guide to copy your files to the external drive.

You can burn the UBCD iso to disk on another computer or use Rufus and the iso to create a bootable USB flash drive. Backup any current data you have on the flash drive as it will be erased.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/616685/adminstrator-with-no-admin-rights-cant-access-or-move-files-c/
Relevancy 84.71%

When I try to install a new printer driver, or change an existing driver, I'm getting "Cannot install Printer.  Access is denied".  There is no GPO applied to this machine, it's a member of a workgroup.  The Package Point and Print
GPO setting was set to disabled just in case.
The user in question is part of the Administrators group, but just to be safe, I logged on as administrator and got the same message. 

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/a366c693-06b0-4e51-8b03-dd62f1244805/cannot-install-or-update-printer-driver-as-admin-0-access-denied?forum=w7itprosecurity
Relevancy 84.71%

Hello I have an external drive which I'm trying to reuse as a storage only medium It's a usb drive on which at one point I managed to install access delete denied safe in when files I mode admin a limited version of windows xp to run on my first netbook which access denied when I delete files in safe mode admin I no longer use I have put other stuff access denied when I delete files in safe mode admin on the drive so I don't want to format it but there are two files I can't get rid of They are macromedia flash files ocx and exe I tried taking ownership running cmd adminstrator going into safe mode with command prompt and running admin powershell I can see the attributes - A and R but I can't change them I've also tried deleting them via filemenutools delete locked files but that does not help me either I want them gone can anyone access denied when I delete files in safe mode admin help me I've read one other post where the OP had the same problem but his problem was solved because his antivirus program eventually decided his file was a virus and got rid of it So it is possible but I can't find what to do I guess it's not a big thing but it bothers me that I'm not able to remove these files no matter what I do Help would be appreciated

A:access denied when I delete files in safe mode admin

I would just reformat it personally. Start from a clean slate.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/81791-access-denied-when-i-delete-files-safe-mode-admin.html
Relevancy 84.71%

I recently had some problems with my desktop reconfiguring each time I logged in and rebuilding Access after problems account admin deleting all my files Nothing I found on online and fix this problem So this is the approach I took Created a temporary administrator account quot mine quot Deleted my account quot Robert quot Rebooted the machine to be doubly sure that all changes had taken effect Recreated my account quot Robert quot configured as administrator Deleted temporary account quot mine quot The This seemed to work I had a stable desktop Access problems after rebuilding admin account and I was able to reload all my data files from a backup Now we come to the situation that I Access problems after rebuilding admin account am hoping someone can help me with A lot of three files and folders on the system will not give me Access problems after rebuilding admin account an immediate access any longer as I have to use UAC This as affected my backup program SyncBackFree and all so free download manager There are now two user accounts that appear to be mirrored quot Robert quot amp quot Robert machinename quot the latter I have never seen before until now and there are no other users on the machine except for myself Can someone tell me how I can get it back to be able to the way it should do with out having to do a reinstall Thanks Robert

A:Access problems after rebuilding admin account

Try Take Ownership Shortcut.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/306597-access-problems-after-rebuilding-admin-account.html
Relevancy 84.28%

I am the only person using this computer. For some reason If I try to view a image or use a editing software, it just wont let me, and says something along the lines of "You do not have permissions" . For example, I cant open Kingsoft writer (Basically microsoft word) and in the permissions, the adminstator (ME) has all the allow boxes ticked, buts its all grayed out! How do i make it so its not grayed out, meaning I can open it. The picture is attached in this page!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/510700/permissions-help-i-am-admin-but-i-dont-have-any-permissions/
Relevancy 84.28%

I am unable to save certain downloads in my C drive, because I always get a message that says "You do not have permission from the Admin to save in C. Would you like to save it in your "Public" [my name] file instead?"

I am the Admin, so how do I give permission to myself??

Thanks,
Mellie

A:Help with Admin permissions

I would just save it to your desktop. If you were downloading a program, you save it there, because you gotta not only download it but install it too.

Other than that, wow, you hadn't had help for a year or so.

http://www.vistax64.com/system-security/211300-help-admin-permissions.html
Relevancy 84.28%

Just recently when trying to download a game (which ive always done) my computer tells me it cant access file because i dont have appropriate perms,,,,i have changed no settings or anything like that,,,,,,it just suddenly began happening,

im on an asus notebook running win 8.1.......

help!

A:admin permissions

Try this method: 5 Ways to Run Programs as Administrator in Windows 7 & Windows 8 (scroll down to the 'How to Always Run a Program with Administrator Permissions' section)

Quote:

First, find the program you want to run and its shortcut or main executable. Then, right click on it (or press and hold) to view the right-click menu. Click or tap Properties. In the Properties window, go to the Compatibility tab. At the bottom, check the box that says "Run this program as administrator" and click or tap OK.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/admin-permissions-911978.html
Relevancy 84.28%

I just set permissions so that certain drives are not available to non-admin users. Now me, the administrator cannot get into the drive. Furthermore the security tab on the properties window is gone.

Help anyone

Thanks

Keith

Relevancy 84.28%

Need help by passing it or finding out the password...it would be greatly appriciated if you knew. thank you.

-Ricky

A:Admin Permissions?

This forum cannot help you bypass passwords, as it is against the rules.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/admin-permissions-312843.html
Relevancy 83.85%

Just did a new clean install of W7 Home Premium 64-bit with SP1. Installed all MS updates.
Went to install a virus program and both that I tried (Avira and MS Security Essentials) fail to install. The MSE only provided an obscure error code. Avira comes up stating Local Admin Rights required.

My account is listed as having admin rights.
I tried the Run as Admin, same result.
I rebooted into safe mode, same result.
I enabled the Full Adminstrator account and logged in there. Same result.
Looking in Properties (for Avira)/Security/Advanced it shows full control, and I am THE owner of this file.

would love some help getting this fixed

Denis

A:Windows 7 Admin Permission problems, cannot install

Where did you get the install media from?

Please Run sfc /scan now using option 2 in this tutorial: SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker

Please post back the results.
Please indicate what message was displayed at the end:

Windows found no integrity violations

OR

Corrupt files were found, and windows was unable to fix them.

OR

Corrupt files were found, and windows successfully repaired them

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/335374-windows-7-admin-permission-problems-cannot-install.html
Relevancy 82.99%

Where do I begin Initially I had my computer with Win XP connected to the MC domain I am granted rights to my pc I was able to install software without ANY problems This weekend I installed Win Enterprise Dir/Admin Permissions HELP! PLEASE Active First I installed my PLEASE HELP! Active Dir/Admin Permissions own local username lemur for installation purposes - with admin rights by default So far so good I added our domain mc uky edu and was able to login in with my univerity-wide username - mark And I successfully connected So I am logged in as mark on the MC domain My problem is installing new software If I install say FF I will be prompted quot Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer quot It asks for an administrator password under the domain mc When I enter the quot mark quot and the password it's not accepted NOW if I enter my local computer address this means I'm going OUTSIDE of the domain and password it's accepted This can't be right Surely I should not be expected to do this and it's cumbersome Is there a way to prevent Win from asking quot Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer quot Again this worked perfectly on XP without problem Thank you for your time consideration and comments Lemur

A:PLEASE HELP! Active Dir/Admin Permissions

Well, I'm sorry and I know it's kind of a pain, but that's exactly how it's suppose to behave. Domain users are not by default users with "elevated" permissions so there is a bunch of stuff they can't do and one of them is installing software. The prompt is simply the new UAC "User Account Control" which didn't exist in XP, but you should have still been denied access or prompted for a admin or power user password. My suggestion is to have the domain administrator add your specific domain user account to the local admins group, or just simply log on locally instead of onto the domain when you want to do something like install new software. Hope this helps.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/37451-please-help-active-dir-admin-permissions.html
Relevancy 82.99%

Hi, I'm a new member.

I have Vista Home Prem 32 bit and I don't understand why I keep getting dialog boxes saying I do not have permission to do something. :S

For example, I run visual studio 2008 pro, and when I select the project to load, I am told I do not have the right permissions and have to restart the application.

Furthermore, I cannot update one of my programs (Aptana IDE) because I cannot access the Program Files dir when I can (at least from a user point of view).

What gives?

Thanks

Relevancy 82.99%

Hi everyone,

Here's the situation:

When i try to open certain files (in this case, a game) it says:
"windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the items." i don't understand this because i am the admin. Is there anyway around this? I never received this when using XP as an admin and i asked a friend that uses Vista if he ever received this error, he said he hasn't.

So, once again, does anyone have any advice to get past this? please and thank you.

A:Admin doesn't have appropriate permissions?

Hi Kibbles,

Have you tried right clicking the game, then select "Run as Administrator"?

NT.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/admin-doesnt-have-appropriate-permissions-227798.html
Relevancy 82.99%

I can't access my word files or word itself, i've uninstalled it and now i cant install a new version as i get messages saying i dont have sufficient permission. i'm not sure how to configure my user permissions..does anybody know how i do this??

A:a problem with admin permissions

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...rmissions.html

If you cannot perform the above, you must give yourself ownership first
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67...ship-file.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/108382-problem-admin-permissions.html
Relevancy 82.99%

Hello Eight Forums:

When trying to save a file, in this case an app. file update, to the original program's location in program files, I receive a error message informing me I need admin permission to do so. Problem is, I am the admin. and my user account is such that I can't change it's type as I am the only admin. using my computer. I had this problem under the same circumstances with Windows 7 as well, but I ignored it. Now I'm tired of it and want it to go away.
Has anyone encountered the above problem and if so how did you solve it?

Thanks for your time.
mrw55

A:admin account permissions

I used this on both W7 and W8. Once set up, right click on Program Files and just take ownership of the whole enchilada.

Take Ownership - Add to Context Menu in Windows 8

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/44866-admin-account-permissions.html
Relevancy 82.99%

Hi

We have strangers coming to housesit while we are away. He wants access to the computer to send email. Is it possible for me to block him from my files and folders and just give him access to my email program, which is Incredimail?

Appreciate any advice.

Monk

A:setting admin permissions

You could set up an account for him giving him non administrative permissions. What OS is it?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/setting-admin-permissions-272808.html
Relevancy 82.99%

1. So when I try to that, it goes FILE BY FILE but some cause a window to show up which reads: access denied!!
And I am admin, makes no sense!

2. When I am on a limited user and I try to access an admin folder or directory, or run application as admin I am asked to enter the admin's password. for folders I just click on the folder and it opens a window that asks for the admin's password, for apps I click run as admin. The problem is that after I enter the password and proceed, It hangs, explorer hangs i guess.

A:TWO problems; allowing a limited user access to an admin folder

If you are trying to editing a file that is located in the programs folder, than you need to save the file to the desktop and drag it over into the folder and it will override that file making it the correct folder.

Take a look at your security settings: ..Windows 7 | Security Features.. and see what they are set at. Also, download an different Internet Browser and see what happens.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/246521-two-problems-allowing-limited-user-access-admin-folder.html
Relevancy 82.13%

I have an 'Unknown User' on the Administrative permissions folder. It has an outlined head for an icon instead of a filled in head as is the usual accounts. This account has special permissions. As I only vaguely get how the permissions are inherited, I did not change anything. I did find it odd however, because it was never there in the past. Whether it is a new feature or not and is it harmful is I guess what I am looking for. The other question is who is Null in the Outlook services. There is Bigfoot and 3 other easily recognizable services, but Null has never been there before. Thank you in advance.

Quicksandy

A:Just who is 'Unknown User' in the Admin Permissions

Hiya

Moved you here where you may get a better response

Regards

eddie

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/just-who-is-unknown-user-in-the-admin-permissions.285641/
Relevancy 82.13%

I am so annoyed about the fact that this shield red, green yellow and blue shield is tagged on some programs. It looks like this:

[IMG]http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/2526/****thatshield.png[/IMG]

Every time I need my dad's password just to start the game. How do I take this Admin Shield off my icons? How do I make a program not need an admin password?

A:How do I make a program not need to have admin permissions?

Hi

If you read this you can change the settings. You make sure that you let your Dad know what you are doing. If you make these changes and Dad finds out he will make you wish that you did not change it. Good Luck.
User Account Control (UAC) - Elevate Privilege Level

http://www.vistax64.com/system-security/275088-how-do-i-make-program-not-need-have-admin-permissions.html
Relevancy 82.13%

I have login to Windows 8 with my Microsoft account (Outlook.com), and when i try copy or create file to
C: driver, i get the message havn't the permissions to perform the operation.
Control Panel -> Users Accounts -> I see this Microsoft username is Adminstrator.
What can do with this problem plaese?
Thanks.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/23666-problem-admin-permissions-windows8-pro.html
Relevancy 82.13%

This problem occurs on a local, non-USB HDD.

I recently formatted my computer, installing Windows 8. And I realized one of my HDDs was acting weird. It doesn't allow Chrome to save files, it asks for UAC permissions when I try to delete, move or rename files. I looked it up, decided it was about ownership and permissions. Permissions were already set, full control. But ownership was wrong so I fixed it, rebooted my computer and problem still persists at the moment.
When I right click and go to the properties of a folder, it says "Read only". When I uncheck it and Apply, it "applies" it to the subfolders with a loading bar but it still remains "Read only".
Any ideas? I hope this isn't asked too often, I searched but couldn't find any satisfactory topics.
Thanks in advance.

A:Local HDD asking for admin permissions after format

I actually just solved the problem, sorry for posting this but here is the solution:

Don't take for granted that Windows understands you are in the authenticated users, administrators or users group and gives you full control. Add your username specifically by editing the permissions for your HDD and give yourself full permissions.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/26391-local-hdd-asking-admin-permissions-after-format.html
Relevancy 82.13%

First noticed this when trying to delete a folder the other day and have yet to find an answer - tells me that I quot require permission from S- - - - - - - to make to permissions, as Guest? be No Admin in logged appear changed to this folder quot Since then I've also run into issues installing programs where I lack the permissions to do so - I'm the original installer of Win and only person that uses my computer - have it set to automatically log in and go to my desktop on start up - I log out and my account is the only one in the user list - Tried someone's recommendation going into CMD Prompt and entering quot net user administrator active yes quot to show No Admin permissions, appear to be logged in as Guest? the Admin profile in the login screen but I get a quot System error quot returned to me no change in login screen - Cannot change security permissions for the profile itself - tells me I need to be an Admin to change those permissions - quot S- - - - - - - quot appears in the users list when I try changing the permissions to folders files and drives - Cannot change the level of security in my UAC or turn it off because once again I don't have permission to - User Accounts windows says quot Guest Account quot under my profile name Help anyone Big thanks in advance

A:No Admin permissions, appear to be logged in as Guest?

Quote: Originally Posted by SilentNoise

First noticed this when trying to delete a folder the other day and have yet to find an answer - tells me that I "require permission from S-1-5-21-515967899-96394560-1801674531-1003 to make changed to this folder". Since then I've also run into issues installing programs where I lack the permissions to do so.

- I'm the original installer of Win7 and only person that uses my computer - have it set to automatically log in and go to my desktop on start up.
- I log out and my account is the only one in the user list.
- Tried someone's recommendation going into CMD Prompt and entering "net user administrator /active:yes" to show the Admin profile in the login screen, but I get a "System 5 error" returned to me (no change in login screen)
- Cannot change security permissions for the profile itself - tells me I need to be an Admin to change those permissions.
- "S-1-5-21-515967899-96394560-1801674531-1003" appears in the users list when I try changing the permissions to folders, files and drives.
- Cannot change the level of security in my UAC or turn it off because once again, I don't have permission to.

Help... anyone? Big thanks in advance.

Hi and welcome

It seems like who ever set up that system (you didnt buy it new I assume) locked the permissions down for whatever reason. If the SU admin cant change the perms it might either be owned by trusted installer (sys proc) or the former owner locked even teh SU out.

Best way to get rid of it is (yep you guessed it) do a clean install with the win 7 dvd if you have it.

If you do have the win 7 dvd you can also try a repair install. Both these assume that you dont have a backup to restore from
Ken J+

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/45222-no-admin-permissions-appear-logged-guest.html
Relevancy 82.13%

I ve suddenly Lost permissions... privileges Admin and been denied quot permission quot or access privileges to install or even update programs on my computer I have tried going back Lost Admin privileges and permissions... to several different restore points but none of them have helped I have Windows XP Pro SP on this computer and only one quot user quot account which is of course an Administrator account The quot permissions quot are check with FULL CONTROL with all boxes checked I would greatly appreciate all the help I can get because I ve tried everything I can think of to resolve this problem without success Actually I m afraid I just keep making matters even Lost Admin privileges and permissions... worse because now my computer runs awfully slow and programs stall or just shut down suddenly I was going to just give up and re-install windows hoping that would correct my problems but a friend told me to try seeing if anyone here could help me out first Thanks in advance for your help GJ nbsp

Relevancy 82.13%

Windows 8.1 and I are getting along OK on my new system (upgrade from XP) - BUT there are a lot of Asian and Middle Eastern fonts in Windows/Fonts and I would like to clear them to make room for a lot of high-quality Adobe fonts I have inherited (I read that that's the only place Photoshop looks for fonts - but that's another story . . . )

Discovered that even with Administrator sign-in, MS will not let me touch these exotic fonts - PERMISSION DENIED. This tees me off (yeah, I have control issues) - could the gurus tell me where to find the magic wand?

All I want to do is change the read-only permission Bill Gates (or Steve) applied to Windows/Fonts . . . cannot find in forums.

rob

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/admin-permissions-windows-fonts-1061778.html
Relevancy 82.13%

I think I accidentally deleted all permissions to a certain folder, including to the admin (me). This is on a desktop PC with XP PRO SP2 , and two users. There is no networking we use the same desktop.

My reason for trying to change the permissions was to block the second user and somehow all the permission to me (admin) were deleted! Now I cannot read/write or anything else to that folder and it has a gig of important data.

How can one get around this? I thought since my user was the admin it had total power. HELP!!!

A:accidentally deleted permissions for admin

never mind, i fixed it by by going to >advanced>owner> and then choosing my user. whew!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/accidentally-deleted-permissions-for-admin.476402/
Relevancy 82.13%

I have login to Windows 8 with my Microsoft account (Outlook.com), and when i try copy or create file to
C: driver, i get the message havn't the permissions to perform the operation.

Control Panel -> Users Accounts -> I see this Microsoft username is Adminstrator.
What can do with this problem plaese?

Thanks,
Have a nice days.

Relevancy 82.13%

Thanks a million trillion these days all you volunteers who help us clueless geek wannabees You are the bombs for doing this So back to work Every user amp group now has special permissions with checks in grayed-out boxes Trusted Installer as a user seems to have total control of the PC permissions? Poweliks admin without removal I can't run anything UAC needs permission for and cannot get elevated admin rights in safe mode I tried a Hiren's-style CD full of various utilities in safe mode to change the admin password Poweliks removal without admin permissions? back to mine Said it was successful but it wasn't I think this nasty bug takes ownership of anything you work with - mouse click command line even security web pages It glitched for a second and I saw it replace the ESET page with something else then Poweliks removal without admin permissions? overlay that with maybe a spoof of the ESET page that took seconds to load The concept I'm thinking of is using my Vista PC to sterilize a thumb drive and load all the offline installers found in the various Poweliks and similar threads onto it in case I need them I'd like to be able to run the online installers from the thumb drive too but don't know how Then boot my PC into safe w networking and run this ESET Poweliks remover from the thumb drive if possible FULL REMOVAL PACKAGE ESET Antivirus Internet Security Software amp Virus Protection Download Thank You http download eset com manuals ese tguide enu pdf http download eset com manuals ese rguide enu pdf ADDITIONAL INFO FOR PACKAGE http kb eset com library ESET KB icesRepair exe How do I remove a Poweliks or Gootkit infection - ESET Knowledgebase KernelMode info How do I remove a Poweliks or Gootkit infection - ESET Knowledgebase Any thoughts my beloved security geeks Or point me in the right direction if I've veered off the path

A:Poweliks removal without admin permissions?

MBar appears to work on Poweliks https://www.malwarebytes.org/antirootkit/

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/368484-poweliks-removal-without-admin-permissions.html
Relevancy 82.13%

Beginner level

After a failed Windows Update some months ago, I was unable to get any further updates. The error message 80070005 indicated I did not have 'privileges' to do so. I installed Hotfix, although not sure what this actually achieved. After Flash crashed later on, I tried to install the newest version, but again, I do not have Admin Privileges to do so. Tried with and without Norton 360 running, with and without Windows Defender running.
Looked at User Accounts. Tried with and without User Account Control turned off.
Gave the PC several full scans, no problems detected.
Looked at some online tips, but as a beginner, don't want to go anywhere near tinkering with the Registry.

help appreciated

A:Loss of Admin Privileges/Permissions

Welcome
Possibly you can use this administrator perform the tasks.
Administrator Account
In addition, if you can try to create a new administrator account, for daily use.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/298120-loss-admin-privileges-permissions.html
Relevancy 81.7%

I recently had a pretty badly infected computer that was sorted out over at the PCPitstop Forums see thread here http forums pcpitstop com index ph ic amp st Now that I am presumably clean I have some other issues During the repair to my system I was told to update my Java as well as uninstall old versions I got a few notices that I couldn't because of admin things but they uninstalled anyway it looked like but then when I tried to install the latest jre- u -windows-i exe it says quot The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation quot Thing is I am the only user and administrator Doing some searching msconfig (Admin problems?) things in Install some Can't or change programs I found the trying the MSInstaller clean up utility could help Can't Install some programs or change things in msconfig (Admin problems?) but that give the same message when I try it Then I saw I could check msconfig to make sure it was running MSConfig shows it as Stopped but Can't Install some programs or change things in msconfig (Admin problems?) the box is checked Can't Install some programs or change things in msconfig (Admin problems?) next to it Trying to check and uncheck then apply it says quot An Access Denied error was returned while attempting to change a service You may need to log on using an administrator account to make the specified changes quot Some information Dell Inspiron E Windows XP Media Center Edition SP Running Trend Micro PC-Cillin SAS Ad-Aware

A:Can't Install some programs or change things in msconfig (Admin problems?)

Even though your the only one using that pc, you might not be logged in as the administrator.

Log out (don't shut down)

hit ctrl+alt+del

administrator log in will appear, it has a password box but since you haven't set one one just press enter.

then hopefully you will be able to access everything

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cant-install-some-programs-or-change-things-in-msconfig-admin-problems-399376.html
Relevancy 81.7%

Anyone tried deleting a registry key in Windows nbsp Got quot access denied quot or quot Error while deleting key quot The usual response is key" deleting ADMIN! or Permissions -"Access AS while Denied" "Error EVEN Regedit quot You need to run regedit as an administrator quot nbsp but I AM logged in as Administrator and running regedit as administrator trying to assign administrator full permissions on that registry key in order to delete it nbsp Am I mistaken or isn't Regedit Permissions -"Access Denied" or "Error while deleting key" EVEN AS ADMIN! Administrator supposed to be able to administer and control all the settings on the computer in order to set it up for the quot Average Joe quot user So under the permissions menu of that key go to advanced change the owner from System to Administrator and try again nbsp It's no longer saying quot access denied quot but quot Cannot delete xxxxxx Error while deleting key quot The scenario Basically the wireless has stopped working on a laptop The device does not show up in Device Manager but is in the registry so the normal procedure is to delete the registry entry for the device in HKLM System CurrentControlSet and ControlSet Enum PCI nbsp nbsp then attach the device or restart the computer it finds the quot new quot hardware and reinstalls it Easy Not with permission restrictions on the administrator account it's not nbsp So I need to give myself permission to give myself permission to do a simple task like delete a single registry key nbsp Why Microsoft why nbsp Please just make the Administrator account a hidden quot God mode quot account that can do anything and make the lives of us techies much easier in the process nbsp RANT Now where did I put that XP disc

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/56fed319-a532-46a4-a384-fd795998c4a3/regedit-permissions-quotaccess-deniedquot-or-quoterror-while-deleting-keyquot-even-as?forum=w7itproinstall
Relevancy 81.27%

My PC has no internet access, and I'm locked out from any changes.I was instructed by Bleeping advisor to post DDS and GMER logs with link to my Original postI followed the instructions according to the Getting Started instructions and attached the resulting log files here.Please advise on how to restore the admin permissions on my Vista account.Thanks.

A:Malware removed admin permissions on my Win Vista PC

Hello wazoomrWelcome to BleepingComputer ========================By default Windows Vista requires elevation for anything it is due to the User account control settings.Try this go to start then start search then type in cmd then when it comes up right click on the file cmd.exe and choose "Run as Administrator" and see then if it will allow cmd to run with administrator privileges.There is no malware on your machine that shows in the logs.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/345445/malware-removed-admin-permissions-on-my-win-vista-pc/
Relevancy 81.27%

Windows has updated itself to latest build on PC.

All of a sudden when i attempt to run most of the programmes i get an error message "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc00000e5). Click OK to close the application"

Applications that do not open include Office, Media Player, Microsft Edge

Some apps do work ie notepad, Chrome.

For those applications that do not open and get error message I can run if i run as "Administrator" which is weird as the account i am using is a member of administrator group.

I do not use PC much as I mainly use my laptop which updated fine. But my son does mention that he thinks he got the error message prior to upgrade.

Someone suggested from an elevated Dos session run "sfc /scannow" which took ages but came back with no errors.

Any idea what i need to do to fix?

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/64572-window-10-requires-admin-permissions-run-programmes.html
Relevancy 81.27%

I have an account set up for my girlfriend which contains a password on the username. I would use a shared account but I do not want her to have the escalated security levels, which could potentially harm my computer.

Well, I have a pain in the butt wireless adapter which on occasion only wants to work after I disable and re-enable my network adapter. This is however not possible on non-admin accounts without a password. Is there any way I can grant specific permissions to alternative accounts giving her the ability to toggle my network card?

A:How To? Granting specific permissions to non admin accounts.

This may help you:

What you can do is create an elevated shortcut to the network adapters.
-right click on her desktop and select "create new"
-select "shortcut"
-Copy and paste the following into the shortcut:

Code:
runas /user:%computername%:youradminname /savecred "control.exe ncpa.cpl"
Replace youradminname with your admin account name.

-click next
-name it whatever you wish

-Now, run it and enter your admin account password. (Note you will not see the characters you are typing appear in the command prompt window THIS IS NORMAL)
-Hit enter
-Close the network adapters window
-Open it again and verify that it does not prompt for your admin account password
-Test to make sure you can disable and re-enable the wireless network adapter.
This will give her administrative access to the network adapters portion of the control panel.

Let me know how this works for you, I will check back in a few hours.

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/225272-how-granting-specific-permissions-non-admin-accounts.html
Relevancy 81.27%

Good day everyone Got a couple of questions today dealing with Windows XP First part deals Admin Questions to ranging Permissions Accounts from with file Questions ranging from Permissions to Admin Accounts folder permissions Heres what I would Questions ranging from Permissions to Admin Accounts like to do I have this external hard drive where I would like to have three folders an archive folder containing old documents and e-Mail an music folder and a backup folder to where backup software would create timely backups of documents e-mails etc etc Is it possible to setup permissions so that the archive folder and music folder were read-only to local and network users and only full access read write to the sys admin For the backup folder is it possible to again only allow read only access for users and allow read write access for my backup program and sys admin I remember in Windows k there was a setting in the control panel I think it was called Users and in there when creating groups and users a sys admin could put checks by what each user was allowed and not allowed to do i e write read etc However I do not see this feature in my Windows XP machine its the Pro version My other question deals with Administrator accounts This question actually comes from ideal curiosity not an actual problem I know that Windows by default setups up an Administrator s account and is only accessible through safe mode however I know there is a registry hack to have it show up on the welcome screen Any who is this account any different than an administrator I setup in the users control panel If its not then why does Windows make you create another administrator account so that in the end you have the default one and one you create yourself My thinking is if they are the same then thats like creating two root users in Linux If they were different that would make a bit more sense Kind of like in Linux having a root user and a super-user The super-user having some power while the root has full power Thanks in advance for any input Always appreciate it nbsp

Relevancy 81.27%

I was on the permissions for drive C, because I didn't want standard user changing setting on there and when I clicked OK windows came up with an error and then when I tried to go back on to the permission change window it said " access denied" and I Now can't Change it back, I Can't do anything with admin features and I can't system restore.

Computer info:
Acer Aspire 5536
Windows 7 Home Premium

Please Help From ChrisCOMWIN7

A:Lost of Drive C Permissions and admin features

Hello ChrisCOMWIN7, welcome to Seven Forums!

Have a look at Option Two of this tutorial to see if you can do a System Restore to a point before you made the changes and be sure to post back with any further questions you may have and to keep us informed.

How to Do a System Restore in Windows

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/177406-lost-drive-c-permissions-admin-features.html
Relevancy 81.27%

Hi All,

I have bitlocker and have found a guide to allowing me to right click on the drive to relock it; it is done via a .bat file. Bitlocker - Lock an Unlocked Drive

Unfortunately this .bat file will only run if I right click on it and 'run as administrator', yet my account is administrator.
Any way to solve this problem so I can simply right click on the hard drive and 'Lock' it?

James

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/399420-bat-file-doesnt-work-without-admin-permissions.html
Relevancy 81.27%

Hi,

I am trying to copy one of the restore points files in the C:/System volume information folder to a backup drive of mine so I permanently have it, but I dont have permission to copy it.

I cant change the owner to myself, share it, edit the read writes , or anything using the GUI becasue I 'dont have permisions to view or edit the permissions'.

At the command line I have tried the utility 'take ownership'. I have tried takeown /F 'filepath' from comand line launched as admin.
Result: 'access denied'.

I have tried ICACLS <filename> /grant administrators:F
Result: access denied.

Any ideas?

A:Admin and dont have permissions to copy a file.

Oh - Im an Administrator and UAC is turned off.

W7 64 Bit.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/admin-and-dont-have-permissions-to-copy-a-file-683308.html
Relevancy 80.84%

okay freshly into win now having obtained a new hdd for my comp I have been running as the admin of my computer since accounts became an unavoidable thing barring the occasional frustration-induced blunder I tend to stay Properly Paranoid in my habits to make sure I have no problems but win doesn't think that I could ever be intelligent enough to have full rights on any account other than the built-in admin account which of course I'd want to avoid using outside emergencies that render other accounts damaged somehow so I'm looking to find out how to make another user account with FULL admin rights not just the constantly have to get permission stuff that a standard snort admin account has full rights that don't involve constantly having to run as administrator yes yes I've heard people trying to get me more paranoid so that I'd endure the added hassles all it does is make me more irate with the situation so if noone's willing to provide me with instruction on this it's probably best for the thread to be left to fall off the board

A:of win7, admin rights, admin accounts, and real admin accounts

I don't know what your problem is. To make another administrator account - Start - Control panel - User Account - 
Manage another account - Create a new account - Give it a name - put a check mark for Administrator - 
click - Create Account. 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/517811/of-win7-admin-rights-admin-accounts-and-real-admin-accounts/
Relevancy 80.41%

Ok my tech-heads i need a little help permissions/cannot create or admin delete Lost folders? with this one I am running windows standard retail fully updated and with one account that is mine and with admin rights A few days ago i suddenly found that i could not delete some files and Lost admin permissions/cannot delete or create folders? could not make new folders It tells me that i need permission to do so or that access is denied It seems that i have lost admin rights Over the last few days i have Lost admin permissions/cannot delete or create folders? tried the following but to no avail Have run a full virus scan No problems found Have run various programs like malwarebytes hitman rougekiller tdsskiller No problems found Run cmd and scan now program No files corrupted tried three system restores via recovery disk Successful restore but no change to permissions Tried system restore via desktop but none found Tried stopping anti-virus and firewall then seeing if i can do it No change Googled problem and followed various instruction and videos about changing permissions via properties security tag etc No change Downloaded reg files to try and change the registry but i cannot do it without permission oh the irony Cried and shouted at the laptop No change A friend directed me to your forum and told me to run combofix No change Finally i have opened the hidden admin account back up my important files and i am ready to use this account even though i know i shouldn't use it as a sole account Hopefully that is all you magicians need to help me sort this annoying glitch out I have included the combofix log report Any help would be gratefully received ComboFix - - - peter - x NETWORK Microsoft Windows Home Premium GMT Running from c users peter Downloads ComboFix exe AV Avira Desktop Disabled Updated D -F D- F- -AAE FA SP Avira Desktop Disabled Updated F F B -DF - D -BDD - E SP Windows Defender Disabled Updated D DDC A- F- fae- E -DA C ACF Created a new restore point Other Deletions C Install exe c users peter AppData Local c users peter AppData Local MBX B BB c users peter AppData Local MBX C BA c users peter AppData Local MBX D A BA c users peter AppData Local MBX A B c users peter AppData Local MBX D B B c users peter AppData Local MBX E B B c users peter AppData Local MBX C A BC c users peter AppData Local MBX E AE BC c users peter AppData Local MBX C AB BA c users peter AppData Local MBX E BA B c users peter AppData Local MBX B BA c users peter AppData Local MBX C AB B c users peter AppData Local MBX CC C BC c users peter AppData Local MBX F BA BB c users peter AppData Local MBX AC AC BA c users peter AppData Local MBX AD BA c users peter AppData Local MBX A A BA c users peter AppData Local MBX A B B c users peter AppData Local MBX C A B c users peter AppData Local MBX D C AD BB c users peter AppData Local MBX EB B B c users peter AppData Roaming inst exe c users peter AppData Roaming vso ts preview xml c windows SysWow AF BDAEX dll c windows SysWow Packet dll c windows SysWow settings ini c windows SysWow wpcap dll Drivers Services ------- Legacy NPF Files Created from - - to - - - - - - -------- d-----w- c program files x Windows Resource Kits - - - - ----a-w- c windows system drivers hitmanpro sys - - - - -------- d-----w- c programdata HitmanPro - - - - ----a-w- c windows system drivers MBAMSwissArmy sys - - - - -------- d-----w- c program files x Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - - - - ----a-w- c windows system drivers mwac sys - - - - ----a-w- c windows system drivers mbamchameleon sys - - - - ----a-w- c windows system drivers mbam sys - - - - ----a-w- c windows system mshtml dll - - - - ----a-w- c windows system mshtml tlb - - - - ----a-w- c windows SysWow mshtml tlb - - - - ----a-w- c windows system drivers storport sys - - - - ----a-w- c windows system drivers msiscsi sys - - - - ----a-w- c windows system drivers Diskdump sys - - - - ----a-w- c windows system iologmsg dll - - - - ----a-w- c windows SysWow iologmsg dll - - - ... Read more

A:Lost admin permissions/cannot delete or create folders?

Mods, please lock as i have solved it myself.

Cheers.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/530639/lost-admin-permissionscannot-delete-or-create-folders/
Relevancy 80.41%

Im really frustrated by this problem:

I have 3 partitions on 1 drive:
C: NTFS: XP Install
D: NTFS: Applications Install
E: NTFS: Archive

I re-installed XP using an 'unattended disk' that Iv used many times before without any problems..
After installing I logged in for the first time and set about taking ownership of D: and E:, so that I could manage the contents of these partitions(normally I have to do this when i re-install XP otherwise I cant access these partitions)

The problem comes when I start installing 3rd party applications to C: and D:, it says things like 'access error', 'dont have the necessary permissions to create install folder' etc....even though Im logged in as Admin/Owner and have all the permission boxes ticked, sometimes it doesnt allow me to take ownership of these partitions saying I dont have admin rights even though Im logged in as Admin...

Plz help im desperate to get XP re-installed

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wierd-hair-pulling-admin-permissions-problem.656895/
Relevancy 80.41%

The oddest thing just started happening I have limited users running on my XP SP box These users are members of the Users group only All of a sudden all of the users Effective for admin limited suddenly permissions users are now like administrators with full access to everything including the other limited users' private directories Looking Effective permissions suddenly admin for limited users at the quot Effective Permissions quot on any of these supposedly hidden Effective permissions suddenly admin for limited users directories gives ALL of Effective permissions suddenly admin for limited users the permissions The users can even write to the quot Program Files quot and quot WINDOWS quot directories obviously a catastrophic state if security is at all important I have no idea what to do about this Can this be a virus Is there something in some hidden group policy or other tweak that will restore these users back to being unable to access other directories These users can also see and write to all areas of the registry too I am worried that this is the result of some sort of bug in a Microsoft update since how else but the O S allowing this access at the NT level could this occur Any advice most gratefully accepted TIA

A:Effective permissions suddenly admin for limited users

Hi,

The only way i can think of going about it is going into the computer management console/local users and groups/groups and making sure in the admin and power user groups that none of the limited users have been added. If thats ok then its probably a good idea to scan your computer and find out if there is a virus or spyware present.

Hope this helps.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/effective-permissions-suddenly-admin-for-limited-users-412740.html
Relevancy 80.41%

Ok my tech-heads i need a little help with this one I am running windows standard retail fully updated and with one account that is mine and with admin rights A few days ago i suddenly found that i could not delete some files and could not make new folders It tells me that i need permission to do so or that access permissions/cannot delete create folders? or admin Lost is Lost admin permissions/cannot delete or create folders? denied It seems that i have lost admin rights Over the last few days i have tried the following but to no avail Have run a full virus scan No problems found Have run various programs like malwarebytes hitman rougekiller tdsskiller No problems found Run cmd and scan now program No files corrupted tried three system restores via recovery disk Successful restore but no change to permissions Tried system restore via desktop but none found Tried stopping anti-virus and firewall then seeing if i can do it No change Googled problem and followed various instruction and videos about changing permissions via properties security tag etc No change Downloaded reg files to try and change the registry but i cannot do it without permission oh the irony Cried and shouted at the laptop No change A friend directed me to your forum and told me to run combofix No change Finally i have opened the hidden admin account back up my important files and i am ready to use this account even though i know i shouldn't use it as a sole account Hopefully that is all you magicians need to help me sort this annoying glitch out I have included the combofix log report Any help would be gratefully received ComboFix - - - peter - x NETWORK Microsoft Windows Home Premium GMT Running from c users peter Downloads ComboFix exe AV Avira Desktop Disabled Updated D -F D- F- -AAE FA SP Avira Desktop Disabled Updated F F B -DF - D -BDD - E SP Windows Defender Disabled Updated D DDC A- F- fae- E -DA C ACF Created a new restore point Other Deletions C Install exe c users peter AppData Local c users peter AppData Local MBX B BB c users peter AppData Local MBX C BA c users peter AppData Local MBX D A BA c users peter AppData Local MBX A B c users peter AppData Local MBX D B B c users peter AppData Local MBX E B B c users peter AppData Local MBX C A BC c users peter AppData Local MBX E AE BC c users peter AppData Local MBX C AB BA c users peter AppData Local MBX E BA B c users peter AppData Local MBX B BA c users peter AppData Local MBX C AB B c users peter AppData Local MBX CC C BC c users peter AppData Local MBX F BA BB c users peter AppData Local MBX AC AC BA c users peter AppData Local MBX AD BA c users peter AppData Local MBX A A BA c users peter AppData Local MBX A B B c users peter AppData Local MBX C A B c users peter AppData Local MBX D C AD BB c users peter AppData Local MBX EB B B c users peter AppData Roaming inst exe c users peter AppData Roaming vso ts preview xml c windows SysWow AF BDAEX dll c windows SysWow Packet dll c windows SysWow settings ini c windows SysWow wpcap dll Drivers Services ------- Legacy NPF Files Created from - - to - - - - - - -------- d-----w- c program files x Windows Resource Kits - - - - ----a-w- c windows system drivers hitmanpro sys - - - - -------- d-----w- c programdata HitmanPro - - - - ----a-w- c windows system drivers MBAMSwissArmy sys - - - - -------- d-----w- c program files x Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - - - - ----a-w- c windows system drivers mwac sys - - - - ----a-w- c windows system drivers mbamchameleon sys - - - - ----a-w- c windows system drivers mbam sys - - - - ----a-w- c windows system mshtml dll - - - - ----a-w- c windows system mshtml tlb - - - - ----a-w- c windows SysWow mshtml tlb - - - - ----a-w- c windows system drivers storport sys - - - - ----a-w- c windows system drivers msiscsi sys - - - - ----a-w- c windows system drivers Diskdump sys - - - - ----a-w- c windows system iologmsg dll - - - - ----a-w- c windows SysWow iologmsg dll - - - - ----a-w- c windows system wow win dll - - - - ----a-w-... Read more

A:Lost admin permissions/cannot delete or create folders?

Have just realised that this should be in malware section re: rules on log files sorry.  please reply if you can help otherwise i will move post to that section.  

Sorry admins...............

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/530637/lost-admin-permissionscannot-delete-or-create-folders/
Relevancy 80.41%

i wiped out my pc and installed windows ultimate bit everything file [SOLVED] permissions admin change rename to or cant works fine but i get the 'error with pppoe connection' i have wireless internet so i dont have a name or password to enter and it doesnt have the options that win xp has to make a connection that is always on and not have to connect manually i [SOLVED] cant change admin or permissions to rename file found this as a fix file raspppoe sys found under c windowssystem drivers folder seems to be the root cause of the problem Fortunately we can workaround the problem simply by renaming the original raspppoe sys file to something like raspppoe orig sys copying a working file from a Windows Vista COLOR [SOLVED] cant change admin or permissions to rename file DA D important COLOR DA D important system COLOR COLOR If you do not have access to a Windows Vista system click here to COLOR DA D important COLOR DA D important download COLOR COLOR raspppoe sys file unzip i cannot rename the file nor can i add the new one to sys driver folder because it keeps saying i dont have permission i have tried all the google searched ways of setting it to permission and it says im already running in administative mode it still will not let me rename of add the file into the folder am i missing something the main thing i want to do is have my pc always connected to the internet my laptop runs win and when i set it up it had the settings to setup this way but my pc is not maybe there is another way of fixing this too all and any info would be greatly appreciated

A:[SOLVED] cant change admin or permissions to rename file

You cannot edit system files. This is bad information.
Try this: go to Start/Search type appwiz.cpl Right click the appwiz icon in the search results and Run As Administrator In Add Remove Programs go to Turn Windows features on or off . Now check [internet information services hostable web core] and your connections should now work.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-cant-change-admin-or-permissions-to-rename-file-630049.html
Relevancy 80.41%

When I start Windows, I get a message saying that some programs have been blocked at startup. They are programs that have to "Run as Administrator" to work properly, such as the one that governs my keyboard's macro keys. It's simple enough to enable to programs, by right-clicking on the icon, but I don't want to have to do this every single time I start up the PC!

This is an administrator account, but it isn't *the* administrator account, if that makes sense (Vista's account permissions and admin stuff confuses me no end ). How do I change the permissions so that "Run as Admin" programs can run at startup? I looked in Windows Defender's Startup section but it was no help.

Please help!

A:[SOLVED] Startup Programs Blocked - Permissions/Admin

Find the actual executable (probably located in c:\Program Files\xxx) and give it permissions to run as Admin.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-startup-programs-blocked-permissions-admin-170646.html
Relevancy 79.55%

Hello I am setting up new PC with Windows x for office user I would like to have following account configuration Administrator account - for administrative purposes user permissions limited with admin Power/Super account full access control Power Super user account - for maintenance purposes program installation minor setting change almost full control but GPO and similar quot admin quot access not allowed - like some sort of Service Help desk account Standard user account - for everyday use limited access control - no installation and or settings Power/Super user account with limited admin permissions changes allowed I have all three user accounts created and Administrator and Standard user accounts are working fine but I am struggling with Power Super user account There is only Power/Super user account with limited admin permissions one PC in office so no domain is established - all permissions are Local GPO based Power Super user is needed because there is external contractor for some programs that run on PC and he needs some level of administrator rights - installation etc I need advice how to setup Power Super user account Thanks

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/72247-power-super-user-account-limited-admin-permissions.html
Relevancy 79.55%

This is my first post on BleepingComputer so if this is inappropriate please let me know I've recently come across a very resilient virus I use that term EXTREMELY lightly because I have no idea what this actually is that has entirely shut down my computer My machine is a custom built desktop with a quad core AMD processor gb of RAM a RADEON I think a gb SSD Admin & Hijacks Permissions - Win7 Virus/Hijackware/Malware More for the OS Win Home Premium a TB Secondary Drive for files and programs that I don't need to bring up that Virus/Hijackware/Malware Win7 - Hijacks Admin Permissions & More quickly and a TB external harddrive that has a boatload of old stuff on it Here are the symptoms that I've found so far - Unable to access windows explorer filesystem due to Virus/Hijackware/Malware Win7 - Hijacks Admin Permissions & More permissions - Unable to access control panel - Antivirus MSE turned off can't turn it back on - Original infection prior to reformatting STILL in affect during safe mode boot - Windows Defender disabled - Background changed to black and the toolbar icons were removed moved deleted white boxes that didn't work What I've done so far First thing first I let it sit for a while powered on like an idiot because I thought the problem was a windows authentication issue even though this is genuine windows thinking I would bring it up with Windows when I had a chance Then I ran a couple scans with MalwareBytes I found nothing Decided instead of dealing with this any longer since it seemed to have a pretty good hold on my machine that I would just reformat Prior to reformatting from CD I disconnected my secondary and external drives in case they were also 'infected' Reformatting went fine of course and I proceeded to boot into safe mode and scan the secondary drive with both MSE and MalwareBytes Nothing was found Then out of stupidity and forgetfulness I booted into standard mode and scanned the External drive with both MSE and MalwareBytes Nothing was found Then satisfied that I had vanquished the beast I thought about what kind of bitcoin mining I was going to do and shutdown my computer Upon booting back up it was BACK From the ashes I had done nothing that would bring back the same issue I hadn't even installed the same programs that I had previously I immediately booted into safe mode and scanned all drives this time after doing further research and finding that I MAY have picked up some hijackware even though I haven't seen any FBI message or the like This time I scanned with - Microsoft Safety Security Scanner - Hitman Pro which seems useless unless you pay the they want - MalwareBytes Standard AND RootKit Beta - Win Malicious Software Removal Tool - Microsoft Security Essentials MSE ALL of the above security scanners found NOTHING ABSOLUTELY NOTHING The only difference between current iteration and the first iteration is that the problem is gone when in safe mode I'm guessing it's because I caught it fast enough this time I am now speaking to you pleading for advice from the safety of safe mode with networking I'm this close to going through by hand every file of the gb stored on my external drive with a fine tooth comb and deleting anything I don't absolutely need to keep Has anyone seen anything like this before and what steps did you take to rid yourself of the problem I'm not looking to salvage my windows installation I would merely like to be able to separate my stored data from this malicious software so I can reformat and be on my business Any suggestions Thank You Brilliant minds of BleepingComputer I'm at my wits end BilboT Baggins

A:Virus/Hijackware/Malware Win7 - Hijacks Admin Permissions & More

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer! I am HelpBot: an automated program designed to help the Bleeping Computer Staff better assist you! This message contains very important information, so please read through all of it before doing anything.
We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.
To help Bleeping Computer better assist you please perform the following steps:
*************************************************** In order to continue receiving help at BleepingComputer.com, YOU MUST tell me if you still need help or if your issue has already been resolved on your own or through another resource! To tell me this, please click on the following link and follow the instructions there.CLICK THIS LINK >>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/logreply/568777 <<< CLICK THIS LINK
If you no longer need help, then all you needed to do was the previous instructions of telling me so. You can skip the rest of this post. If you do need help please continue with Step 2 below.
***************************************************If you still need help, I would like you to post a Reply to this topic (click the "Add Reply" button in the lower right hand of this page). In that reply, please include the following information:If you have not done so already, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.A new FRST log. For your convenience, you will find the instructions for generating these logs repeated at the bottom of this post.Please do this even if you have previously posted logs for us.If you were unable to produce the logs originally please try once more.If you are unable to create a log please provide detailed information about your installed Windows Operating System including the Version, Edition and if it is a 32bit or a 64bit system.If you are unsure about any of these characteristics just post what you can and we will guide you.Please tell us if you have your original Windows CD/DVD available. Upon completing the above steps and posting a reply, another staff member will review your topic and do their best to resolve your issues.
Thank you for your patience, and again sorry for the delay.
We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan again: Download FRST by Farbar from the following link if you no longer have it available and save it to your destop.FRST Download LinkWhen you go to the above page, there will be 32-bit and 64-bit downloads available. Please click on the appropriate one for your version of Windows. If you are unsure as to whether your Windows is 32-bit or 64-bit, please see this tutorial.Double click on the FRST icon and allow it to run. Agree to the usage agreement and FRST will open. Do not make any changes and click on the Scan button. Notepad will open with the results. Post the new logs as explained in the prep guide. Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.As I am just a silly little program running on the BleepingComputer.com servers, please do not send me private messages as I do not know how to read and reply to them! Thanks!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/568777/virushijackwaremalware-win7-hijacks-admin-permissions-more/
Relevancy 79.55%

Hello, I beleive that my machine is infected by Sirefef.z and .w(at least thats what MSE told me). The machine boots and stays on as well as connects online, But I lack admin permission and cannot unistall etc. I have run the FRST Scan in repair modes command prompt and have attached the logs below. Any help with creating a fixlist would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

A:Infected with Sirefef.z and .w, Boots and stays on, But I Lack Admin Permissions

HiPlease do the following:Open notepad (Start =>All Programs => Accessories => Notepad). Please copy the entire contents of the code box below. (To do this highlight the contents of the box, right click on it and select copy. Right-click in the open notepad and select Paste). Save it on the flashdrive as fixlist.txt start
SubSystems: [Windows] ==> ZeroAccess
C:\Users\c\AppData\Local\{8ea07a10-9b68-26a0-fc4c-c4d341d4a1d5}
endNOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating systemNow please enter System Recovery Options then select Command PromptRun FRST (or FRST64 if you have the 64bit version) and press the Fix button just once and wait.The tool will make a log on the flashdrive (Fixlog.txt) please post it to your reply.Reboot Normally.NEXTPlease delete the copy of ComboFix that you have on your desktop and download a fresh copy from the link below, disable your security programs and run ComboFix, post the resulting loghttp://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/ComboFix.exe

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/460561/infected-with-sirefefz-and-w-boots-and-stays-on-but-i-lack-admin-permissions/
Relevancy 79.55%

Malware disabling admin permissions program installing boot com Hello everyone I'll get straight to the point I've never seen a virus so bad on my comp Symptoms by observation order -Slow windows startup sometimes seems to freeze completely -impossibility to access drives through their icons but ok if opening a sub directory and going up for example until action number one see below -visual glitches everywhere now gone by itself it seems or maybe after first operation see below -impossibility to install certain programs namely Symantec Anti-Virus Kaspersky online and bitdefender online Sometimes a message admin disabling installing Malware + permissions/program boot.com quot you may not have the administrator Malware disabling admin permissions/program installing + boot.com priviliges quot comes along -popups numerous attacks on different ports publicity banners on internet sites replaced by adult other banners Defense -only ZoneLabs ZoneAlarm always worked perfect for me Actions -simple deletion of autorun inf and boot com that installed themselves on every drive- gt Symptom one and two disappeared -scan by Ad-Aware Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware Flash Desinfector and HijackThis - gt Malware disabling admin permissions/program installing + boot.com Nothing interesting exept maybe quot dumprep -k quot command quot systemroot system dumrep -k quot I just deleted that from start-up via msconfig Computer Configuration Windows XP Pro SP running latest IE and latest FireFox Dual boot with Grub on Ubuntu but I don't think that matters Attached is my HijackThis log but I think it's clean Nothing strange in my running processes either I'm willing to install ComboFix or whatever just please keep in mind that I'm not a pro-formater and that I have important data on the PC and Thanks a lot for any help DDS log DDS Version - NTFSx Run by Kharski at on Internet Explorer BrowserJavaVersion Microsoft Windows XP Professionnel GMT FW ZoneAlarm Firewall disabled Running Processes C WINXP system svchost -k DcomLaunch svchost exe C WINXP system svchost exe -k WudfServiceGroup C WINXP system svchost exe -k netsvcs svchost exe svchost exe C WINXP system spoolsv exe C WINXP system igfxpers exe C WINXP system igfxsrvc exe C WINXP system ctfmon exe D Program Files ActiveSync wcescomm exe D PROGRA ACTIVE rapimgr exe E Progs Webshots webshots scr D Program Files FireFox firefox exe C WINXP explorer exe D Program Files ZoneAlarm zlclient exe C WINXP system ZoneLabs vsmon exe E Progs Thunderbird thunderbird exe C Documents and Settings Kharski Bureau dds scr Pseudo HJT Report uInternet Settings ProxyOverride local BHO Aide pour le lien d'Adobe PDF Reader e f-c d - d -b d- b d be b - c program files fichiers communs adobe acrobat activex AcroIEHelper dll BHO RealPlayer Download and Record Plugin for Internet Explorer c e -b - bc - - c ca - d program files realplayer rpbrowserrecordplugin dll BHO RoboForm d a - d - d - - e a - e progs roboform roboform dll BHO SSVHelper Class bb-d f - c-b eb-d daf d d - d program files java bin ssv dll TB amp RoboForm d a - d - d - - e a - e progs roboform roboform dll uRun DAEMON Tools Lite quot d program files daemon tools lite daemon exe quot -autorun uRun ctfmon exe c winxp system ctfmon exe uRun H PC Connection Agent quot d program files activesync wcescomm exe quot mRun Persistence c winxp system igfxpers exe mRun IgfxTray c winxp system igfxtray exe mRun ZoneAlarm Client quot d program files zonealarm zlclient exe quot mRun Adobe Reader Speed Launcher quot d program files adobereader reader Reader sl exe quot dRun CTFMON EXE c winxp system CTFMON EXE dRunOnce nltide rundll advpack dll LaunchINFSectionEx nLite inf C N StartupFolder c docume kharski menudm progra dmarra webshots lnk - e progs webshots Launcher exe uPolicies-explorer ForceClassicControlPanel x uPolicies-explorer NoSMConfigurePrograms x uPolicies-explorer NoSMMyPictures x uPolicies-explorer NoResolveTrack x dPolicies-explorer ForceClassicControlPanel x dPoli... Read more

A:Malware disabling admin permissions/program installing + boot.com

Problem resolved on http://thespykiller.co.uk/index.php/topic,7548.new.html#new

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/190107/malware-disabling-admin-permissionsprogram-installing-bootcom/
Relevancy 79.55%

Im running Win Admin Locked Denied Folders - - Permissions Security Acount? off an SSD and my girlfriend got jealous Folders Locked - Security Permissions Denied - Admin Acount? over how fast my PC is so she bought herself on SSD for Black Friday as well as a new TB HDD to use for her games and data etc and now wants me to set up her new SSD so Folders Locked - Security Permissions Denied - Admin Acount? only her Win is running off it like mine is I was going to work on it today start migrating all her stuff from her old HDD to her new one and then start prepping its partitions so all her games apps data music etc would remain only on the HDD and then clone the rest to the SSD Then I discovered something interesting Many of her folders have a small LOCK icon on them and they're not accessible even to her own Admin Account Ok fine right click on the folder and click the security tab to change the permissions and click Apply and Access Denied But we're on the Admin account I don't have any of these problems on MY Windows installation so whats the deal with hers and how do I resolve it Both she and I need to have complete and total access to every folder on her computer as I have on mine

A:Folders Locked - Security Permissions Denied - Admin Acount?

Nyarlathotep,

See if the following helps:

Permissions - Allow or Deny Users and Groups

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/353772-folders-locked-security-permissions-denied-admin-acount.html
Relevancy 79.55%

Dont know what to do really Lost a lot of admin rights and says permission is not granted to a lot of places on my computer Mostly just Access is denied When trying to move certain things to my desktop documents or computer? cant permissions change Lost and admin Infected rights other common areas DDS Ver - - - NTFS AMD Internet Explorer BrowserJavaVersion Run by Ethan at on - - Microsoft Windows Ultimate GMT - AV Bitdefender Infected computer? Lost admin rights and cant change permissions Antivirus Enabled Updated A D -CED -F B- E- D Infected computer? Lost admin rights and cant change permissions AF A D Infected computer? Lost admin rights and cant change permissions SP Bitdefender Antispyware Enabled Updated F C-E EC-F E - D E- A D A E SP Windows Defender Enabled Updated D DDC A- F- fae- E -DA C ACF FW Bitdefender Firewall Enabled A FD- B -F - C - E F EF Running Processes C Windows system lsm exe C Windows system svchost exe -k DcomLaunch C Program Files Bitdefender Bitdefender vsserv exe C Windows system nvvsvc exe C Program Files x NVIDIA Corporation D Vision nvSCPAPISvr exe C Windows system svchost exe -k RPCSS C Windows System svchost exe -k LocalServiceNetworkRestricted C Windows System svchost exe -k LocalSystemNetworkRestricted C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalService C Windows system svchost exe -k netsvcs C Windows system svchost exe -k NetworkService C Windows System spoolsv exe C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalServiceNoNetwork C Program Files x Common Files Adobe ARM armsvc exe C Program Files NVIDIA Corporation Display nvxdsync exe C Windows system nvvsvc exe C Program Files x Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support AppleMobileDeviceService exe C ProgramData ASUS AsSysCtrlService AsSysCtrlService exe C Program Files Bonjour mDNSResponder exe C Program Files x Skype Toolbars AutoUpdate SkypeC CAutoUpdateSvc exe C Program Files x Skype Toolbars PNRSvc SkypeC CPNRSvc exe C Program Files x DisplayFusion DisplayFusionService exe C Windows system taskhost exe C Windows system Dwm exe C Windows Explorer EXE C Program Files Bitdefender Bitdefender bdagent exe C Program Files x LogMeIn Hamachi LMIGuardianSvc exe C Program Files Common Files LogiShrd LVMVFM LVPrcSrv exe C Program Files x Common Files LogiShrd LVMVFM LVPrS H exe C Program Files Bitdefender Bitdefender pmbxag exe C Program Files NVIDIA Corporation Display nvtray exe C Program Files Bitdefender Bitdefender antispam bdapppassmgr exe C Program Files x NVIDIA Corporation NetService NvNetworkService exe C Users Ethan AppData Roaming Spotify Data SpotifyWebHelper exe C Program Files NVIDIA Corporation NvStreamSrv nvstreamsvc exe C Program Files x NVIDIA Corporation Update Core NvBackend exe C Windows SysWOW PnkBstrA exe C Windows system svchost exe -k imgsvc C Program Files Bitdefender Bitdefender updatesrv exe C Windows system viakaraokesrv exe C Program Files Bitdefender Bitdefender SafeBox safeboxservice exe C Program Files NVIDIA Corporation NvStreamSrv nvstreamsvc exe C Program Files NVIDIA Corporation NvStreamSrv nvstreamsvc exe C Windows system SearchIndexer exe C Windows system svchost exe -k NetworkServiceNetworkRestricted C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalServiceAndNoImpersonation C Program Files Windows Media Player wmpnetwk exe C Users Ethan AppData Roaming KoshyJohn com MemClean MemClean exe C Users Ethan AppData Roaming Spotify spotify exe C Users Ethan AppData Roaming Spotify Data SpotifyHelper exe C Users Ethan AppData Roaming Spotify Data SpotifyHelper exe C Users Ethan AppData Roaming Spotify Data SpotifyHelper exe C Users Ethan AppData Roaming Spotify Data SpotifyHelper exe C Users Ethan AppData Roaming Spotify Data SpotifyHelper exe C Program Files x Skype Phone Skype exe C Windows system taskhost exe C Program Files x Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C Windows System svchost exe -k secsvcs C Windows system taskeng exe c program files windows defender MpCmdRun exe C Program Files x Mozilla Firefox plugin-container exe C Windows SysWOW M... Read more

A:Infected computer? Lost admin rights and cant change permissions

Hello and Welcome on board ,my Name is Machiavelli and I will assist you with your problem.If you booted into safe mode on your computer then print my instructions!I'm in the 'Malware Staff Team' and will provide you with advice:To remove Malware on a computer can be very complicated. Malware (malicious software) is able to hide and so I may not be able to find it so easily. In order to remove Malware from you Computer, you need to follow my instructions carefully. Don't be worried if you don't know what to do. just ask me! Please stay in contact with me until the problem is fixed.Below are a few tips:Removing Malware is usually very difficult.We need to search and analyse a lot of files. As this is done in our free time, please be patient especially if I don't answer every day!Please follow these instructionsIf you don't follow the instructions your computer may crash. If you fix your PC by yourself, this can be very risky!Please stay in contact with me until your problem is resolvedAs Malware may not be totally removed in one session or in one day, please stay in contact with me until the problem is resolved.Please don't run any other tools without consulting with me as this can complicate finding and removing all MalwareDon't run any tools while I'm fixing your PC. That is counter productive and again, will only complicate finding and removing all Malware!Read my post completelyIf you don't do so, you may make mistakes that could result in your System crashing by your own actions! Please download FRST (by Farbar) from the link below and save it to your Desktop.Download Mirror #1If you are unsure whether you have 32-Bit or 64-Bit Windows, see hereDisable all anti-virus and anti-malware software to prevent them inhibiting FRST in any way. If you are unsure how to do this, see THIS.Double-click FRST.exe/FRST64.exe (depending on which version you downloaded) to run it. (if you have Windows Vista / Windows 7 / Windows 8: Please do a Right click on the FRST icon and select Run as Administrator)When the disclaimer appears, click Yes.Click Scan to start FRST.When FRST finishes scanning, two logs, FRST.txt and Addition.txt will open.Copy (Ctrl+C) and Paste (Ctrl+V) the contents of both of these logs into your next post please.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/541683/infected-computer-lost-admin-rights-and-cant-change-permissions/
Relevancy 79.55%

Hello all I hope this is the proper thread I wasn t sure if I should go here or security I have about computers that have recently had our billing software installed by a contract IT fellow Little did this gentleman know that there are two folders that quot users quot must be given modify rights on to be able to run the automatic update tool upon have folder permissions do not rights admin systems on login Changing that If they are not given these rights they error out upon update and then cannot use the system at all Needless to say them using the billing software is important Obviously I don t want to go through pcs and do this by hand So here Changing folder permissions upon login on systems that do not have admin rights is the situation Changing folder permissions upon login on systems that do not have admin rights - remote PCs all on a domain - All PCs have users that do not have modify rights to two specific folders c jwalkc c hmsjava - I want to find a way to unobtrusively update Changing folder permissions upon login on systems that do not have admin rights these folder permissions My first thought was to use CACLS So I created a quick line batch cacls c jwalkc t e g users c cacls c hmsjava t e g users c This worked nicely on my system which I have admin rights Not so well obviously when I tried it on an account I created in AD that had standard user rights I thought I d simply add it to their login script until I remembered that runs as the user and not as an admin Then I decided to just make a batch file and use runas but there is not a good way to have it automatically insert a password and I need to be able to do this without an additional application downloads My next thought was add it as a GPO startup script I do not have domain admin rights so sadly I could not test it as I wanted However I had one of our sys admins create a dummy OU with my dummy AD user account and add the script there The script will execute but when it gets to my command it gives quot access denied quot on both I thought running a startup script via GPO ran it as admin but I do not yet have much experience in that area so I might be wrong I am curious if GPO DOES use admin rights that perhaps I need to have it add quot domain users quot rather than quot users quot thinking perhaps it was conflicted trying to use local admin vs domain admin I ve tried various things so many that I can t really recall all the variations to place here and even dabbled in some vbs which I am not very familiar with but so far no luck I m pretty much where I started after a fair bit of effort I ve searched google a number of times and found lots of partial solutions but none that I was able to apply I could probably get it done with pstools easy enough but I wanted to try and make it more automated if at all possible Does anyone have any ideas that they might share Thanks so much nbsp

A:Changing folder permissions upon login on systems that do not have admin rights

Why not get the contractor back to fix it? His mistake so he should put it right at no extra cost surely?

Richard

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-folder-permissions-upon-login-on-systems-that-do-not-have-admin-rights.724380/
Relevancy 78.69%

Hi Yet again Windows is frustratingly taking up all of my time and I have tried everything google has to offer to try and fix it but it seems like no one has screwed up as much reset admin | | can't admin | Lost 5 No password error rights System as I have on whatever forum Let me explain the problem I'm trying to set my account to administrator because I can't install programs change account settings make any changes through CMD without getting the system error access denied message and I can't set the administrator account through CMD either I also don't have the permission to change anything in regedit and I can't even reset my pc because it requires an administrator password System error 5 | No admin rights | Lost admin password | can't reset which I don't have is not quot nothing quot nor is it administrator or admin or password and I can't change it through cmd either I can't even access the administrator account because it is disabled and even with an elevated System error 5 | No admin rights | Lost admin password | can't reset cmd I can't activate the quot hidden quot administrator account System error 5 | No admin rights | Lost admin password | can't reset I've ran malwarebytes and superantispyware and I am now looking for the Gandalf of all Geeks to help me solve this problem I'd immensely appreciate it

A:System error 5 | No admin rights | Lost admin password | can't reset

Hi. When a computer is first setup, the account created is an administrative one. What happened to this account?

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/37732-system-error-5-no-admin-rights-lost-admin-password-cant-reset.html
Relevancy 78.69%

Hello, I just purchased a new lenovo v570 laptop runing windows 7 home premium.

I scanned an image using my Epson NX 400 usb all-in-one printer. Then I tried to save it to my external USB enclosed sata drive. I haven't had any problem like this before. They said, I didn't have permission. I am running the laptop as an administrator. What other permission do I need? Antivirus and firewall software is all up and funny functional.

A:Scanned Image Using Windows Paint. Asked For Admin. Permission, but I am on Admin.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/scanned-image-using-windows-paint-asked-for-admin-permission-but-i-am-on-admin.1051243/
Relevancy 78.69%

Basically I have two admin accounts one of which belongs to another member of family and one which belongs to me. Heres the situation:

The person who owns the other Admin account is changing my accounts password (also an admin account). Surely there is some way to make it so that I can not have my account's password changed unless it is logged on to my actual account (so my account's password can only be changed if my account is logged on?)

Is there a way?

In urgent need of help!

Thanks!

A:Prevent Admin Accounts From Changing Other Admin Account Passwords In Xp!

Here's an article (for Win2K) that may help: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309799But, IMO, the issue here is that the other person can't be trusted. In such a situation I'd suggest making the other account into a Standard User account - that way they won't be able to mess with your stuff, and they'll be reliant upon you for anything that requires administrative privileges.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/153087/prevent-admin-accounts-from-changing-other-admin-account-passwords-in-xp/
Relevancy 78.69%

The firm in which I work has a Lenovo PC with Windows 10 installed. There are two user profiles on the computer, the admin and another normal account without administration rights. We have only the password of the account without administrator rights.

The network administrator had left the company surprisingly in without giving the administrator password of the PC and we cannot contact him anymore.

Now we want to install another programme and we cannot do this without an administrator account.

I disabled secure boot and have tried to boot the PC with an Linux USB Stick, but it do not boot from the stick.

Any suggestion how I either can reset the password of the administrator account or create an new account with administrator rights.

A:Windows 10 admin password reset or new account with admin rights

Although there may be techniques to recover a lost password it is forum policy that we do not discuss these here - your best bet would be to visit a local security specialist and get them to recover/reset it for you - and a change to the policy for the replacement admin may be a good idea, I always wrote a list of all passwords and stored it with the Managing Director and also in a fireproof safe

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/38274-windows-10-admin-password-reset-new-account-admin-rights.html
Relevancy 78.69%

Hi,
I am working on a 2012 ADDS based network and I have the following requirement.
I want to create a local administrator user account on the local domain computers (Win XP, 7 and 8) which will have full access on the PC but not the permission to edit other local administrator accounts.
Please advise how I can achieve this.

Thanks in advance,
Andreas

A:local admin account with no permit to edit other admin accounts

Local admin account by definition has access to everything and even if it doesn't it can take ownership and give itself the rights. In other words i am not sure that you can achieve what you
are trying to do.

I would suggest create a single shared local admin account and give it your desktop admins, change the password every 60-90 days to keep it more secure. This is common practice in many
organizations.

http://www.dannyeckes.com/create-local-admin-group-policy-gpo/

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/125eabac-06f7-45ee-9792-f642c82eab2e/local-admin-account-with-no-permit-to-edit-other-admin-accounts?forum=w7itprosecurity
Relevancy 78.69%

Hi
I need to either change a guest log in (kid's access) to
adminstrator, or a way to reveal or change the password
for the Admin profile. Thanks for your help.
I tried this already: Run: cmd net user guest *
I tried to rest the guest password this way but
it didn't work - I'm thinking it is because I am not
logged on as admin in the first place. What do I do now?
Thx
lrr

A:change guest login to admin or figure out admin password

you cant change an admins pw from a guest account....at all

only way to change the admin pw is to boot to safe mode and enter the sys admin account or use a hacking program iso which you can find easily but use at your own risk....

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/change-guest-login-to-admin-or-figure-out-admin-password-314097.html
Relevancy 78.69%

Hi,
I'm new to Windows 7.

I'm still trying to master the file permissions.. I need some help and I'd appreciate it if someone could help me out.

I have a folder with mp3s (created with my old Windows XP system). I've included this mp3s folder in the "my music" library and then I inspected the folder and took ownership of it together with everything it contains (following instructions I found on the Net).

Nevertheless, when I'm trying to delete or move a file I get the message that I need to provide administrator permission! But I thought I am both administrator and owner...

Also, when listen to the songs with WinAmp, it seems I cannon save any song data. I get: Cannot save metadata: Error opening file.

I suppose, it's an aspect of the very same problem.

What am I missing?

thanx.

A:I need admin permission to delete/move file (but I'm both admin/owner)

Take a look on the properties of the folder see if you have an unblock button . If you do click on it .

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/297001-i-need-admin-permission-delete-move-file-but-im-both-admin-owner.html
Relevancy 77.83%

Hi Guys I'm new to this forum as in this is my first post so please be gentle with Admin? Standard Account to Hidden (Admin) Transferring me if this has been answered before So anyway I have a standard account with admin privileges turned off UAC etc but it doesn't seem to be elevated all the time for example I still see the quot admin shield Transferring Standard (Admin) Account to Hidden Admin? quot icon next to some programs on my desktop Most of the time I have to right click and select quot Run as Administrator quot from the popup menu and also Windows still asks me when something needs admin mode and do I want to continue I have Transferring Standard (Admin) Account to Hidden Admin? activated the hidden true admin account on my PC and when I log into that everything is elevated and great no more prompts etc which is what I want But the problem is it looks very basic I want to be able to transfer all my settings from my standard admin account to my true admin account is this possible I've tried going to system- gt advanced system settings- gt user profiles to copy the account across but the copy button is grayed out If this is not possible is there any way to make this standard admin account the full type which is always elevated Hope someone can help me I'm getting very annoyed having to give permission for things I want to do all the time Thanks in advance -milw rm

A:Transferring Standard (Admin) Account to Hidden Admin?

Hello milw0rm, and welcome to Eight Forums.

You could use the tutorial below to elevate your standard administrator account to have the same elevated rights as the built-in elevated Administrator account.

Be warned though, that all Metro Store apps and the Store will not work in an elevated account.

User Account Control (UAC) - Elevate Privilege Level - Vista Forums

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/16240-transferring-standard-admin-account-hidden-admin.html
Relevancy 77.83%

Using Win 8.1

First off, the account I'am signed on with is listed as admin type account. It's the one I had to enter my windows account email.
Since installing the new MalwareBytes 2.0 program (which went in without any problem) it put an shortcut icon on desktop. I tried too move the icon from desktop to another folder and it said I needed admin rights to do this. Usually once I click on continue it gives me access and proceeds to carry out the command.
So I followed the tutorial to build hidden admin account. I type in: net user administrator /active:yes, it completed. I signed on to the admin account and tried the same operation and it still asked for admin rights.
What am I doing wrong?

UpDate: MalwareBytes 2.0 has a self protection ability that needs to not be enabled, otherwise everything associated with the Program including program icons located anywhere cannot be moved.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/43247-i-needed-admin-rights-using-built-admin-account.html
Relevancy 77.83%

I'm having some issues with my upgrade to win system me Programs asking passwords and for admin user admin Programs that need elevated access are now asking me for both the Sys Admin and my local admin password Of course the sys admin has no password and my local admin does So no matter what I do I get it wrong Earlier today I was trying to reset the tiles in my start menu to default I followed directions I found on the web activated the sys admin account went to the sys admin account the users app data tabletray But I kept getting the error that something quot was already in use quot and I couldn't copy all the files I went ahead Programs asking me for system admin and user admin passwords and pasted what I had in my local admin and standard user account then I disabled the sys admin account Now some programs icons I installed earlier today have disappeared I have to go to an admin account to gain access and turn them on MSI afterburner And any program that needs Programs asking me for system admin and user admin passwords admin access I'm not sure if I'm giving it access or it's just starting without admin access Seems like the next time I re-boot or log off I have to do it all over again when a program asks for elevated access it shows sys admin account AND local admin account above the password box Is that normal I could have sworn it only had my local admin account listed before If I have to re-install where do I Programs asking me for system admin and user admin passwords get the free win upgrade again are those files saved on my pc

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/58127-programs-asking-me-system-admin-user-admin-passwords.html
Relevancy 77.83%

For a long time I've had much difficulty understanding the exact difference between the computer administrator and a user whose type is administrator On my system there are two administrators - one known as quot Administrator quot and another with my name Gary or Gary and Susan Each administrator has their own profile I used Windows Professional The distinction doesn't matter to system operation in general With MS Office Professional however it does When I start MS Word or MS Excel as myself for example it won't let me access the help files When I try to a message states quot There is a problem with one Pro work not MS user features All but admin with Admin Office with or more installed help files Please repair your office installation and try again quot I ran the repair program successfully but as myself All MS Office Pro features work with Admin but not with admin user I can't access the help files When I log in All MS Office Pro features work with Admin but not with admin user as user quot administrator quot I can but the access is limited I can also access all features of the program in safe mode Yet when I log in as myself I can only access the help files if I run the program as an administrator This perplexes me because my user type is administrator This problem has occurred with other programs from time to time Would someone please help me understand this and is there a workaround I can set the privilege level to administrator which will permit me unrestricted access to the help files but then a dialog box appears every time I start the program which I'd prefer to not see

http://www.sevenforums.com/microsoft-office/389269-all-ms-office-pro-features-work-admin-but-not-admin-user.html