Windows Support Forum

External HDD not recognize my laptop & cann't initialize it from Device manegment

Q: External HDD not recognize my laptop & cann't initialize it from Device manegment

I've a External HDD( Western Digital company-500GB) which was working properly last night but today it's not working. when I connect the EXt. HDD to my laptop usb port then it's got power but not shows in my computer.
when I go to device management it shows a window (you need to initialize before logical disk management can access it.) but when I go to initialize the HDD then show it "the media write protected". I cann't initialize the HDD and cann't access the HDD.

Someone help me to recover my old DATA from this Ext. HDD.

Thanks for advance.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: External HDD not recognize my laptop & cann't initialize it from Device manegment

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: External HDD not recognize my laptop & cann't initialize it from Device manegment

Hello Rajib Sarker,
The first important thing to note here is that if you initialize your HDD you will lose all the information that was stored on it. Sometimes portable external HDDs can behave like that if they are not getting enough power. It would be a good idea to try and connect your HDD using a different USB cable, preferably a short one. Another thing you can try is connecting your HDD to different USB ports and to a different computer. You can also run WD DLG diagnostics tool to test the HDD http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=GTBpZQ .
Hope that helps.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hdd-not-recognize-my-laptop-cannt-initialize-it-from-device-manegment.207752/
Relevancy 72.67%

Hey nbsp First things first I'm running an Aspire V - cann... - Code High Definition Audio device 10 Device g laptop nbsp After the recent Windows update I was having issues getting past the lock screen took AGES to get to the point where I could input my password and it had been a while so I reformatted 'reset my PC' deleting all files - this actually didn't solve my problem so I used Rufus with a Windows iso from Microsoft to delete all partitions and REALLY start fresh Ever since the laptop is running like a dream--in all but one respect nbsp It seems like no matter High Definition Audio Device Code 10 - device cann... WHAT I do I CANNOT get my HDMI audio TV to appear as an option in Playback Devices yes disabled devices is ticked Looking in Device Manager the High Definition Audio Device has an exclamation mark is throwing a code - High Definition Audio Device Code 10 - device cann... device unable to start I've tried uninstalling it tried installing all drivers from Intel's V - g page including chipset updated my graphics driver Realtek Intel HD audio drivers and yet nothing Ran sfc ran chkdsk nothing nbsp I read something that led me to believe NET framework might be part of the issue--and I did actually have quite a bit of difficulty getting installed functional but I finally did and still nothing nbsp I'm seriously losing my mind I'm having to run my surround sound through an auxiliary cable into the laptop which is just sacrilege and a fraction of the quality nbsp If there is ANYTHING ANYONE can suggest beyond the above please do

http://community.acer.com/t5/V-and-VN-Series-Laptops/High-Definition-Audio-Device-Code-10-device-cannot-start-tried/td-p/464840
Relevancy 70.09%

I just had my laptop hard drive reimaged, and now it doesn't want to recognize my iPhone when I plug it in via USB. I should see *something* like I did before, like a new drive letter. The laptop installed the drivers when I first plugged the iPhone back in, but even though now I hear the double bong-sound when I plug it in, I don't see anything appear in Windows Explorer, nor can I move any files from the phone to my computer.

Relevancy 67.08%

Hello, I've Laptop (EliteBook 8560p); Base System Device cann't be installedLiocation: PCI Slot 2 (PCI bus 36, device 0, function 1) Thanks

A:Base System Device cann't be installed

@MoustafaRaafat? Try installing these. http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=5056952&swItemId=ob_102185_1&swEnvOid=405... http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=5056952&swItemId=ob_99021_2&swEnvOid=4059 http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=5056952&swItemId=ob_96363_2&swEnvOid=4059... REO

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Base-System-Device-cann-t-be-installed/td-p/5781759
Relevancy 65.79%

I m using a year old Gateway won't laptop WIN external HD USB 7 recognize NV laptop running WIN Home premium and I bought a new WD tb USB HD The HD was immediately recognized when first connected HD software loaded properly and initial backup performed successfully The next day when I booted up the computer there was a WIN 7 laptop won't recognize USB external HD message saying an unrecognized USB device was connected I ll update this WIN 7 laptop won't recognize USB external HD thread with the exact language when I next reboot Checked Computer amp WIN 7 laptop won't recognize USB external HD Libraries and it wasn t listed I shut down and connected the HD to a different USB port and as before all was normal Backup files were there and accessible Backed up more files and shut down for the day The next day same problem opening message that an unrecognized USB device was connected The solution recommended by the error message was to disconnect and reconnect the device and if still unrecognized replace the device I ve used an older smaller gb WD USB HD in the same port for several months with no problems nbsp

Relevancy 63.64%

I'll try to be brief st I didn't see a topic dealing recognize drive... doesn't optical Laptop external exactly with my problem So here goes I bought an Inspiron laptop w o an OS Laptop doesn't recognize external optical drive... and the optical drive didn't work The seller made me aware of this and said I needed to buy an external optical drive to install Vista He gave me the Vista install repair disk and the drivers disk While I was waiting for the optical drive to be delivered I loaded Ubuntu from a disk I had Laptop doesn't recognize external optical drive... made Don't ask me why the Linux disk would work using the internal drive but the Vista disk won't Baffling So I recieved a new external optical drive and went to work on installing Vista over the Linux OS I erased the Linux st Then tried to install Vista but no matter what I did Laptop doesn't recognize external optical drive... changing the boot order etc the laptop doesn't find or see an OS to install In other words I can't boot it up with the Vista OS disk using the external drive I can provide any details you may need Fortunately I also have a desktop computer to work from Thanks in advance

A:Laptop doesn't recognize external optical drive...

Things to check;
1. The Vista install disk is almost certainly a DVD disk.
2. The Linux disk is probably just an ordinary CD (you would know).
3. Modern ODDs have 2 lasers, one for DVD and one for CD.
4. It's possible for the DVD laser to fail, but the CD laser will work fine. This explains why the Linux CD would load, but the Vista disk won't.
5. So, since the internal ODD loaded the Linux disk, but not the Vista disk, then the DVD laser has failed on the internal ODD. If you replace the internal ODD with a new one, you should be good-to-go.

Now, regarding the external drive;
1. Is it a DVD drive? If not, it needs to be.
2. Is it externally powered, or does it get it's power from the USB port? It needs to be externally powered, because USB power is notoriously finicky for heavy load operations.

To summarize... the ODDs need to be DVD capable to load a Vista disk.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/552135/laptop-doesnt-recognize-external-optical-drive/
Relevancy 63.64%

Hay!

Please help me!
My new laptop doesen't recognize my external display AT ALL!
I tried WINDOWS KEY + P, Screen Resolution, ...

Help please! Give me soe tips or maybe videos...

Thanks

A:Laptop doesen't recognize external display AT ALL! (ASUS)

My computer:

------------------
System Information
------------------
Operating System: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit (6.3, Build 9600)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
System Model: X751LA
BIOS: X751LA.312
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4030U CPU @ 1.90GHz (4 CPUs), ~1.9GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3980MB RAM
Page File: 1647MB used, 3740MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.03.9600.16384 64bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
Input Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
DirectX Debug Levels
--------------------
Direct3D: 0/4 (retail)
DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)
DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)
DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)
DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)
DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
DAC type: Internal
Device Type: Full Device
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0A16&SUBSYS_15AD1043&REV_0B
Display Memory: 1792 MB
Dedicated Memory: 32 MB
Shared Memory: 1760 MB
Current Mode: 1600 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: unknown
Monitor Id: CMN1728
Native Mode: 1600 x 900(p) (60.008Hz)
Output Type: Internal
Driver Name: igdumdim64.dll,igd10iumd64.dll,igd10iumd64.dll,igdumdim32,igd10iumd32,igd10iumd32
Driver File Version: 10.18.0010.3574 (English)
Driver Version: 10.18.10.3574
DDI Version: 11.1
Feature Levels: 11.1,11.0,10.1,10.0,9.3,9.2,9.1
Driver Model: WDDM 1.3
Graphics Preemption: DMA
Compute Preemption: Thread
Miracast: Supported
Hybrid Graphics GPU: Integrated
Power P-states: Not Supported
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 5/9/2014 00:16:30, 26190816 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
WHQL Date Stamp:
Device Identifier: {D7B78E66-4956-11CF-057E-A735B6C2C735}
Vendor ID: 0x8086
Device ID: 0x0A16
SubSys ID: 0x15AD1043
Revision ID: 0x000B
Driver Strong Name: oem21.inf:5f63e5341cc65b69:iHSWM_w81:10.18.10.3574ci\ven_8086&dev_0a16&subsys_15ad1043
Rank Of Driver: 00DA0001
Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_C ModeWMV9_C ModeVC1_C
I also installed all the drivers that I could

http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/361224-laptop-doesent-recognize-external-display-all-asus.html
Relevancy 63.64%

Hi, I have a problem with an external HDD Spire. My laptop won't recognize the driver. When I plug it it my USB port the driver's light turns on and I can hear some noise from it but Windows won't prompt me and it doesn't show in my computer. I have a Compaq CQ58 laptop, windows 7 32.

I checked in Computer Management and it doesn't show the drive there. I checked in Device Manager to see if I have an update issue but it only shows my internal HDD.

I hooked to another laptop Toshiba and it's showing, same windows 7 32bit.

Please help, I need to use it really fast for a project.

A:Laptop Compaq CQ58 won't recognize Spire external HDD

Do other devices work in that usb port?

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/370544-laptop-compaq-cq58-wont-recognize-spire-external-hdd.html
Relevancy 63.64%

System Win Home SP with latest update Hard Drive Seagate TB external hard drive Automatically turns on no power switch Here s the problem My external hard drive no longer wants to play nicely with my laptop or vice versa Now I have my mouse plugged into one of the USBs doesn t matter which one I move it around and it works fine Flash drives same thing no problem Same with both of my game controllers Never a problem I go to plug in my external hard drive and either it will come on for like seconds drive hard doesn't laptop external recognize and then laptop doesn't recognize external hard drive go away or it doesn t come on at all However if my husband plugs in my external hard drive to his computer which by the way is the exact same as my computer both laptops of the same brand and model it comes on within seconds and stays on My external hard drive USED to laptop doesn't recognize external hard drive work on my laptop just fine And my smaller tb Iomega external hard drive works great on this laptop So what did I inadvertently change to make my laptop no longer wish to speak to my external hard drive I ll bet it s something really simple Any help at all will be greatly appreciated and not argued with in the least I promise my husband is making me say that LOL Thank you Lynn nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-doesnt-recognize-external-hard-drive.1155919/
Relevancy 63.64%

Hi Forum I have a HP Pavilion dm z laptop The laptop has a HDMI port I am trying to connect it to my Samsung BX display The display has the DVI dual link port only So I bought a HDMI - DVI adapter I have Win x on my laptop When I start the laptop with the external display connected the picture is duplicated on both the laptop and the external display But as soon as Windows starts the picture will only be displayed recognize connected Windows not external to display does laptop a on the laptop 'Starting Windows' being the last picture shown on both displays After some investigation it seems that windows could not detect the external display successfully In the Windows does not recognize external display connected to a laptop 'Screen Resolution' window the external display is shown as 'Display the device on VGA' It is impossible to view the properties of the external display as the option is disabled and the display is called 'Default Monitor' I tried updating the AMD Radeon Catalyst drivers but this did not help Tried to install the external display drivers but these installed as the mobile device display drivers Any ideas to fix this are highly appreciated

A:Windows does not recognize external display connected to a laptop

I guess you've already played with the hotkey on your keyboard that's used to control which monitors are used for display, right?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/237868-windows-does-not-recognize-external-display-connected-laptop.html
Relevancy 62.78%

My 18 month old laptop running windows 7 doesn't recognize older WD passport ext hard drive, nor does my old desktop running XP. Does this mean it is dead?
Thanks for any help

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-laptop-doesnt-recognize-external-hard-drive.1059462/
Relevancy 62.35%

Month old HP Win gb x machine Keyboard and mouse drivers unaffected USB Mass storage device properties messagewith driver check on quot Windows cannot verify devices will recognize not Device USB Mass external Storage storage the digital signature for the drivers required for this device quot with driver check off Tells me drivers are corrupt or missing Search show diver where it should be C Windows System drivers usbstor sys also usbfilter sys USB Mass Storage Device will not recognize external storage devices Used the HP Recovery Manager to restore factory setting for USBStor sys it indicates it is successful but no USB Mass Storage Device will not recognize external storage devices changeon reboot still cannot use flash drives SD cards external HDs Units work find on my laptop Called HP times after extensive troubleshooting each time following their instructions go USB Mass Storage Device will not recognize external storage devices to hp com go instant get screen saying request has been received Each time tech tells me he cannot find my request After a while read hours told they need to talk to supervisor will call me back KISS OF DEATH never hear from them So can I fix this or am I going to have to pay for repairing a seven month old HP Or am I going to have to buy yet another pc

A:USB Mass Storage Device will not recognize external storage devices

Nobody has a clue, huh?
I guess I am the only one ever to have this happen!
Ok, thanks, goodbye.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/423463/usb-mass-storage-device-will-not-recognize-external-storage-devices/
Relevancy 61.06%

hello dear all for the guru.............
i have (my friend have) notebook acer aspire 2930..
get problem about optical drive .. why that's can't open if i press..
why?
I've restored them back to who knows it was not caused by a virus
result still.... the led lights just flicker and then die

what should I do but buy a new cd-rom

A:OPTICAL DRIVE laptop cann't opened

Quote: Originally Posted by kutujenggot

can't open if i press

Is there a very small hole on the front of the CD drive?

You may be able to force it open by inserting a wire (paper clip) into that hole.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/202583-optical-drive-laptop-cannt-opened.html
Relevancy 59.34%

Friends,

My Toshiba Satellite P105-S6064, Windows XP laptop has gone south. I want to get files off the hard drive.

I don't want to take it to the computer repair store, because the HDD contains financial and tax information. Besides, they would charge a lot for something I think I can do much more inexpensively.

I've been reading about external enclosures, into which you can put your laptop HDD, and connect it to another computer via USB.

I want to make sure I get an appropriate enclosure. I hate to admit my ignorance, but is my HDD an SATA type? Can anyone recommend a superior external enclosure? I am likely to buy from www.newegg.com.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Gidget1986

Relevancy 58.48%

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me if there is such a device that allows you to connect a laptop hard drive up to a desktop or another laptop to retrieve data? The laptop hard drive in question is partitioned into C: and D: and the client has data on D: drive that he would like to save if possible (laptop won't boot up to recover the data). I have tried reimaging the laptop twice (C: drive only) but it's failed both times. Reimaging is not an option now so I'd like to try and recover the data another way. No matter how many times I tell these people to back up their data to the server, it never seems to sink in...

Hoping someone can help?

Relevancy 57.19%

So I recently went to change my laptop from windows 8 down to 7. To do this I just had my installation disc, ran setup, and let it do its thing, resetting itself applying updates etc.
When I came back a few hours later it was stuck on Starting Windows with the logo not even pulsing. Restarting doesn't help, safe mode gets stuck at disk.sys and no matter what key I press I can't enter the BIOS.
I'm unable to launch my installation disc or a USB booter.

I can't find a solution I can even try anywhere! Can anyone help?
Thanks.

A:Laptop hangs at Starting Windows, can't boot from external device.

A windows 8 pc has an option called secure boot in the bios so you can`t mess with it, did you disable this.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/358924-laptop-hangs-starting-windows-cant-boot-external-device.html
Relevancy 56.76%

I bought "Spiderman Friend or Foe" PC DVD Game.
After installing the game, after clicking on the Game Icon on the desktop, I am getting the following message:
--A problem occurred when trying to initialize the Direct3D device.
The default video options have been restored.
If the problem persists, please make sure your drivers are up to date or contact your hardware vendor.--
What should I do to play the game?

Relevancy 56.76%

I, recently purchased an HP desktop Pavilion with Vista installed.  I also have a desktop system with Windows XP.  In XP I can print library directories from the command prompt with the command DIR>PRN. I cannot do this with my new system under Vista.  When I tried using the prompt - PRINT DIR, the system gives me a message - 'Unable to initialize device PRN'.  Any help will be appreciated.  Thanks.William Lanum ([email protected])

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/5b632b01-a047-4c91-9f54-3a2e106818f6/unable-to-initialize-device-prn?forum=itprovistaprinting
Relevancy 56.33%

Hi guys

Im struggling with an external housing with a 2.5" HDD in. Im running windows 7 ultimate. I go into disk management and the it asks me to intialize the disk. There are 2 options to partition the disk, MBR and GPT.

I tried both but get the following error: "The device is not ready"

What can i do know to get the device ready?

thanks

A:External HDD initialize error

Hi Mithras

In Disk Management - do the HDD-icons display a green colour?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/91054-external-hdd-initialize-error.html
Relevancy 56.33%

So I recently performed a clean install of Windows 7 after dealing several times with Windows failing to start after any reboot. Since then however I haven't been able to get my SeaGate 2TB external drive to be recognized by Windows.

I looked into Disk manager and saw this:

Ooookay, well I know I have data I'd like to keep on there, so I figure I'll pop into Partitian Wizard and try to repair it there. However...

It's not there, so I figure "fine, I'll just initialize it" however when I do THAT I get I/O Device Errors.

Anyone have any idea what on earth to do here? I don't currently have room INSIDE my computer to add this device via SATA so I'd really like to keep it external if at all possible.

Thanks

A:External HDD Unable to Initialize

Hello GingerKidStudio!

When Windows was failing did you have your external drive plugged in? If so, that could have damaged it.

Showing as Unallocated (when obviously it's been used and copy-pasted to) means it's suddenly encountered an issue with the partition table or file system. Initializing it should work, but the error you're receiving means it's probably far too damaged to be repaired or Initialized.

Change the cable and the port. Check in diskpart if the drive is there:

1. Open the Start Menu, type diskpart, press Enter
2. Type list disk, press Enter

If it is, try to initialize it from there and/or reformat.

Good luck!

CK_WD

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/368290-external-hdd-unable-initialize.html
Relevancy 56.33%

Hi brink,

I got an WD external HDD and when it connected its not showing in my computer, when i search in disk manager i can find it. But the problem is disk1 unknown and not initialized and its not showing the storage capacity as well. when i right click on disk 1 to select the initialize option as it the option was not enabled.
please help me asap............

* attached screen shot for your perusal
And i had tried in cmd using disk part> list disk>Select disk....
But i cant find the disk in cmd.

A:External HDD Initialize error

Hi and welcome to SevenForums,
What exact model external ?
Device Manager - Finding Unknown Devices

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/388541-external-hdd-initialize-error.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Hey I print to device from the CMD window daily PRINT D I got notice from AVG that C WINDOWS system DRIVERS mrxsmb sys was infected with Trojan horse Agent r ASR Maybe it was coincidence or maybe not - but it was that day or the next day that I could no longer print to device I replaced removed the infected file and checked the computer for other infestations and it found none But I still cannot print device to - CMD PRINT/D:\\ Unable initialize via CMD NET USE myPC entered in the CMD screen shows both printers recognized - although it finishes the task with the line COMMAND COMPLETED WITH ONE OR MORE ERRORS I can print to each printer Unable to initialize device - CMD PRINT/D:\\ via windows and test pages But attempts to print via print D printer address just returns a CANNOT INITIALIZE DEVICE I - - N E E D - - to print certain things this way and it has worked fine for years - so if n you have some good idears I m all ears - Castleheart I m a poet and I was not cognizant of the fact nbsp

Relevancy 55.9%

Hi all...

When I went to "My Computer" then "View System Information" then, clicked on "Hardware" and then "Device Manager" I got a pause and then a box saying "Snap in failed to initialize - Device Manager"

It lists a CLSID and when I click on "OK" is says "the snap-in is not created; it may not be installed properly".

Any ideas on a fix so I can see what''s going on, would be much appreciated.
Thanks...

Don

A:Device Manager - Failed To Initialize

Try running it by going to Start...Run...and typing in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
Does it run now?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/136576/device-manager-failed-to-initialize/
Relevancy 55.9%

Hi I have a WD gb external HDD I can't access it anymore and I really don't know how to fix it It won't show in My Computer but I can still see it Disk Management The files are not important since I have a copy of it I just really need to fix my external Any help would be much appreciated I have Minitool Partition Wizard Home Edition and Easeus Partition Master Free Edition Actually the other day external to disk, bad HDD unallocated, Fix not How initialize the only problem was that I can't access it but I can still see it How to Fix external HDD bad disk, unallocated, not initialize in My Computer as F It said it needs to be formatted so that's what I did but it won't finish error something So I tried quot googling quot how to fix it and saw other saying to use Easeus and delete partition So that's what I did I did something I don't really remember But it was like I deleted partition and created another partition And then I realized that it is no longer visible in My Computer and in disk management I can't see it in Volume Oh dear I just made the condition of my external worse Please help me I just want to fix my external Here are some pics which will elaborate it's status now Thanks

A:How to Fix external HDD bad disk, unallocated, not initialize

Welcome to SevenForums.

The only thing you can do is to check your Western Digital HDD with Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows.

Download from WD Support / Downloads / SATA & SAS / WD RE2

Read the instructions on that page and run it.

If the tests fail, you can't do anything about it. The HDD is dead and you have to get a new one.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/321144-how-fix-external-hdd-bad-disk-unallocated-not-initialize.html
Relevancy 55.9%

I just purchased and installed a WD Elements External HDD GB Model is WCASY The drive is visible in Explore as Removable L and when right-clicking it displays as Cannot - External No media WD Elements - HDD initialize an HP USB Device an shows No Media In Disk Management it shows Disk Removable L No Media This is on the left side of the panel and no disk shows on the right side of the panel There is no menu option for Initialize as there should be The activity light is steadily one so WD Elements External HDD - No media - Cannot initialize I must assume that it is on and no sound is coming from the case In Device Manager it displays twice - under Disks as HP USB Device and under Universal Serial Bus controllers it displays as a USB Mass Storage Device The case of the unit shows the WD initials on the top but photos of this unit on line show a lower case quot e quot When I registered the unit for warranty coverage I received a message of quot out of zone quot WD Elements External HDD - No media - Cannot initialize which I learned means it was purchased outside WD Elements External HDD - No media - Cannot initialize of four or five countries geographic regions and therefore ineligible for warranty coverage I live in the US and purchased it from online retailer buy com The message from WD s website indicated I would have to contact the vendor to find a resolution to this issue Is there a way to solve this problem or do I try to return the unit and just purchase a HDD and case separately and build my own Thanks for any help nbsp

Relevancy 55.9%

I wanted to open an unused Acomdata USB hard drive we had lying around. I opened it, plugged it in, and it recognized the read-only part that let me put in a security password. As for the storage part? No go.

After reading a bit, I found out that it was natively formated as FAT32 and had to be reformatted as NTSC. With no way to do this in Vista, I plugged it into my XP laptop. It detected it, reformatted, everything ok.

All right, so I plug it back into my Vista desktop and reboot. Nothing. It reads the read-only part but doesn't detect the drive. So it's not a format error this
time.

I go to Disk Management and I see the drive listed as Disk 5 / Unknown / Not Initialized. It doesn't recognize the volume in the properties and it won't
initialize -- when I select that, it says the device isn't ready.

Any words of wisdom?

Mike

A:External HDD won't initialize in Vista, fine on XP

Quote:

Originally Posted by bswb

I found out that it was natively formated as FAT32 and had to be reformatted as NTSC.

Do you mean NTFS?

Regardless, XP, Vista, Windows 7 can read/ write FAT32 external formatted drives. New USB sticks and external HDDs are FAT32.

I don't know of the "read only" area you mention. Possibly the encryption (password) is interfering in Vista.

Plug it back into the XP system and reformat the entire HDD NTFS. If no-go, wipe the external HDD with KillDisk, then try reformat again - 1st in Vista, then in XP.

KillDisk - http://jcgriff2.com/0x1/killdisk_imgburn.html

Connection is USB 2.0, correct?

Personal experience has taught me never to rely on Acomdata external HDDs. Be careful - have an additional backup.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/external-hdd-wont-initialize-in-vista-fine-on-xp-534437.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Hey so firstly I have spent about hours searching through these and many other forums looking for some sort answer I am very noobish when it comes to this stuff So when I plug in my external hard drive ComStar gb it seems to take a good - mins before it is detected by either of my comps PC win xp Laptop W When it finally is detected it shows up as USB Mass Storage device Drivers are all working fine updated etc I have updated everything I possible can on my computers Motherboard etc I go into Device manager and its there and working initialize but detected external will not ComStar aparently When I go to disk management it shows up as disk but I cannot format it the only option is to initialize it So I try ComStar external detected but will not initialize to initialize it and I get an error saying that it cannot be initialized I don t know what else to include but if any other info is needed just let me know ComStar external detected but will not initialize I m expecting those extremely useless posts about quot use the search quot etc but I already have and haven t found ComStar external detected but will not initialize the same problem If I missed it then how bout just linking it to me in place of quot search for it quot since you have obviously searched for and found the topic nbsp

A:ComStar external detected but will not initialize

What you are reporting is normal.
What do you want to reformat it while it is in external drive mode?
But, wait, is it really a ComStar drive? What cables are connected?
How is it formatted?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/comstar-external-detected-but-will-not-initialize.130333/
Relevancy 55.9%

My old Toshiba laptop went kaput the wipe or initialize, format, external Cannot HD screen went out not the hard- drive I could still access the hard drive when it was in the computer so I removed the hard drive and put it in an external HD enclosure The problem is now that I cannot wipe format partition or initialize the disk at all I tried using Windows disk manager but it fails to initialize quot due to Cannot initialize, format, or wipe external HD an I O error quot I went into Event Viewer and the error message that was logged reads quot VDS fails Cannot initialize, format, or wipe external HD to write boot code on a disk during clean operation Error code email protected quot I tried blanking the disk with DBAN and while it worked at first it goes REALLY slow and then went to a black screen about rd of the way through which took about hours and I was forced to reboot I tried using Killdisk WinHex SwissKnife and TestDisk with no success either Killdisk would not wipe it at all Cannot initialize, format, or wipe external HD and WinHex could read it but could not wipe it either it just gives me some generic quot Unpartitioned space not wiped quot message SwissKnife gives me quot Read Write error quot when attempting to format Any action under TestDisk returns read write error messages Note that all of these programs can locate the disk and read its size but can do nothing further I know it s not the HD enclosure because I used it successfully with another HD I pulled from another broken laptop and that worked flawlessly -- super fast wiped and formatted just fine no sweat As I mentioned the hard-drive itself should be good because when my laptop screen went out I was still able to access the hard-drive I m at a complete loss as to what the problem is and multiple Google searches have been of no help Is this a lost cause I d hate to have to just throw the thing away if I can use it The HD in question is a Hitachi GB SATA and I am running Windows I ll also add that at another s suggestion I ran a disk diagnostic program called HDDScan These two values had yellow warning signs on the report all others were green Reallocation Sector Count - Reallocation Event Count - Is the disk toast nbsp

A:Cannot initialize, format, or wipe external HD

Go to the drive manufacturers site and most have diagnostic utilities you can download and burn to a CD to test the drive. Burn a disc and test the drive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-initialize-format-or-wipe-external-hd.1031138/
Relevancy 55.47%

Hellos,

I know there is another already closed thread with someone having the same problem. But I believe my hardware meets the system requirements of the game and the problem is still there:

Starting Spider-Man Friend or Foe I get the following error message:

"A problem occurred when trying to initialize the Direct3D device.
The default video options have been restored. If the problem persists, please make sure your drivers are up to date or contact your hardware vendor."

I installed the latest graphics driver and the latest DirectX9c. I couldn´t find a patch for the game though.

Any ideas?

Thx,
HoPatty

Relevancy 55.47%

I'm installing a new hard drive. In Device Manager I right click the new hard drive and the drop down menu says:

Update Driver Software
Disable
Uninstall

Scan for hardware changes
Properties

Nowhere do I see INITIALIZE or FORMAT. What am I doing wrong?

John

A:Device Manager doesn't have INITIALIZE on the drop-down

You want "Disk Manager" not Device manager.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/329552-device-manager-doesnt-have-initialize-drop-down.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi,

Everything was working fine. Suddenly, when I typed on the usb keyboard, nothing happened. So I put it in a different usb port on the laptop, and it still didn't work. So I tried the laptop's own keyboard and still nothing. I'm not sure what is going on. 

I tried deleting the keyboard driver from Device Manager but that did nothing. I tried searching for this problem but all the results seem to not apply to this specifically. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

Also... I'm a n00b that knows very little about computers so bear with me

A:Laptop won't recognize keyboard OR external usb keyboard

When you deleted the keyboard driver for the laptop...did you reboot after doing so?

Does your BIOS call for USB  boot via USB device?

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/573633/laptop-wont-recognize-keyboard-or-external-usb-keyboard/
Relevancy 55.04%

i may not know enough about the problem to completly describe it but i will begin an gig external hard drive was external drive help initialize xp home an to on hard trying ed given to me it was rebuilt on a win system my help trying to initialize an external hard drive on xp home ed home edition of win xp--reconginzes it as disk - in disk manager however it is not formatted or able to be found and does not have a drive letter assigend to it i logged on as quot administrator quot in safe mode to see if i could get the drive path settings option to come up in disk manager i could not-------does any of this make any sense to anyone that option still does not come up under user or administrator in disk managment--so it is unformatted and has no drive letter thus xp cannot find it OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Version Service Pack Build OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation System Name System Manufacturer Dell Inc System Model ME System Type X -based PC Processor x Family Model Stepping GenuineIntel Mhz BIOS Version Date Dell Inc A SMBIOS Version Windows Directory C WINDOWS System Directory C WINDOWS system Boot Device Device HarddiskVolume Locale United States Hardware Abstraction Layer Version quot xpsp sp rtm - quot User Name Time Zone Central Daylight Time Total Physical Memory MB Available Physical Memory MB Total Virtual Memory GB Available Virtual Memory GB Page File Space GB Page File C pagefile sys and here it is the maxtor HID-compliant mouse HID VID D amp PID C D amp CF B amp amp Intel R FB FBM USB Universal Host Controller - PCI VEN amp DEV amp SUBSYS C amp REV amp AAA amp amp E Intel R FB FBM USB Universal Host Controller - PCI VEN amp DEV amp SUBSYS C amp REV amp AAA amp amp E Intel R FB FBM USB Universal Host Controller - A PCI VEN amp DEV A amp SUBSYS C amp REV amp AAA amp amp EA Intel R FB FBM USB Universal Host Controller - B PCI VEN amp DEV B amp SUBSYS C amp REV amp AAA amp amp EB Intel R FB FBM USB Enhanced Host Controller - C PCI VEN amp DEV C amp SUBSYS C amp REV amp AAA amp amp EF MAXTOR L J USB Device USBSTOR DISK amp VEN MAXTOR amp PROD L J amp REV amp USB Human Interface Device USB VID D amp PID C D amp F D amp amp USB Mass Storage Device USB VID C B amp PID BCF USB Root Hub USB ROOT HUB amp F amp USB Root Hub USB ROOT HUB amp A B amp USB Root Hub USB ROOT HUB amp A EC amp USB Root Hub USB ROOT HUB amp DBF amp USB Root Hub USB ROOT HUB amp E B A amp it is on the system and the system reconginizes it but i cant find it click on it and it is not in my list when i open start and explore devices any help -------it apparently needs to be formatted with nfts or fat i am lost i am afraid this will be a sort of convuleted email tag deal so thanks for you help-------robtonet yahoo com

A:help trying to initialize an external hard drive on xp home ed

i had a similar problem. this came on my enternal when i "safely removed" it WITHOUT installing it as hardware. So, it assumed i no longer wanted to try to install it, and since i safely removed it, it never again saw it. this required a restore point to before it had made that decision, so that it would once again ask to install it. once i said "sure", it was fine.

Now, the problem was, because of the incident, not only did it not read it, but the external was also corrupted, so any and all info on it was lost when i was forced to format it. after that, it was absolutely fine. don't know if this helps much, just sharing my experience.

as far as what you can do, there are a few things. You could revert to just before you got it and see if it reads it then. you could also install a new fresh windows on a partition, boot to that partition, and see if it recognizes it then. Then you can format it and make it new. it should then read it in the other partition. or if you have another computer :P.

Good luck and WELCOME TO TSF!!!

God Bless and In Him,

Christian Dude

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/help-trying-to-initialize-an-external-hard-drive-on-xp-home-ed-240150.html
Relevancy 55.04%

I was using my computer and everything was fine and then BSOD I have had BSOD occasionally before by that I mean the last one was on Nov Usually I just restart my computer everything is fine and go about my business well unfortunately not this time I have WD external hard drives connected to the computer and one decided to stop working I believe it has connected before when a BSOD occurred and it was unaffected at that time I plug HDD wants Initialize Recognizes Computer - External Working Not but to the drive into the computer It does NOT show up under My Computer It DOES show up in Device Manager and Disk Management See the screenshot attached Drive C is an internal boot drive Drive D is an older internal drive with files from before External HDD Not Working - Computer Recognizes but wants to Initialize starting anew Drive H is another WD external drive unaffected by BSOD The drive that isn't working was N before I believe In Disk Management the drive comes up as quot Disk quot and in Device Manager it is quot WD My Passport USB Device quot If I connect the drive to another computer it will install the driver software and the same issue will occur If I quot uninstall quot the drive it will reinstall the driver software and still same issue The LED light is constantly on but it does NOT feel like the drive is doing anything When I open quot Disk Management quot is prompts to quot initialize quot the drive Another screenshot attached I haven't really been able to really figure out if quot initializing quot is data destructive or not I think I've seen it both ways by reading different forums Reading several threads with similar issues lead me to install quot MiniTool Partition Wizard quot but the drive doesn't show up in that program See screenshot number So I'm pretty much at a loss I've seen some Linux suggestions but I basically have never used that so would prefer to try any Windows based solutions before going to that but will go to Linux if that is the only best option Any assistance is appreciated Thanks in advance for the help EDIT I've tried using various data recovery programs and they don't see the drive I'm not sure why my computer can see it sort of but most things can't

A:External HDD Not Working - Computer Recognizes but wants to Initialize

Hi there.

I'm sorry to hear about the problem you have. Probably something went wrong because of the BSOD, so can you run a test on the drive using Data Lifeguard Diagnostics and post back the results? You can download the program from here:

Support Answers

Let me know how it went.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/366949-external-hdd-not-working-computer-recognizes-but-wants-initialize.html
Relevancy 55.04%

Hi,
I have an WD Elements 1023 external hard drive which I want to connect to my laptop which runs a 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium. When I connect the device, it shows up in the device manager and the driver is installed properly.

However, it doesnt show up as a drive and in the Disk Management, it shows as Disk1 unknown. When I try to Initialize the disk, I get a error that the "The Media is write protected".

Its been a real pain as I have a lot of data init and unable to access it.
It wud be great if anybody could suggest me a solution for this.

Thanks in advance!
Harsha

A:Unable to initialize the external drive in Windows 7

Welcome aboard.

If you restart with the laptop with the external drive connected, it may recognize the drive.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/217123-unable-initialize-external-drive-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 55.04%

My Sengate T external HD it access initialize Can't -- won't external drive hard has been working for years It has vital back ups files movies docs etc I CANNOT AFFORD TO LOOSE ANYTHING I am a DJ and also have over tracks on there I was using the external HD on a Windows laptop and accidentally pulled the USB cable out of the port while it was loading and changing the quot Permissions for SYSTEM and Authenticated User quot on a specific file on my external HD When I plugged it back in the drive showed up on my computer as normal but would Can't access external hard drive -- it won't initialize not open After reading a few posts I went to the device manager deleted the drivers for the external HD then when I Can't access external hard drive -- it won't initialize plugged it back in it updated the drivers and told me me my device is now working properly and ready to use and my drivers are up to date But now it wont show up on my Can't access external hard drive -- it won't initialize computer at all I went into disk management and the Disk had an icon with a picture of a HD with a red arrow facing down in a white circle under Disk it says Unkown empty line Not Initialized I then right clicked and it said offline When trying to get it back online it says quot The system cannot find the file specified quot In the properties under Volumes it says Disk Disk Type Unknown Status Not Initialized Partition style Not Applicable Capacity MB Unallocated space MB Reserved space MB When I try to Initialize Disk it says quot The system cannot find the file specified quot I have tried it on every port and on a different PC running Vista as well as on my TV which now says quot no USB device plugged in quot PLEASE HELP I NEED TO FIX THIS or at least find a way to BACK IT UP and transfer ALL the data onto another drive nbsp

A:Can't access external hard drive -- it won't initialize

Similar thing happened to me.. I'd love to hear an answer on how to recover the data as some of it is rather important.. Good luck DJC, I'll check back in and hopefully we will have our files back!!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-access-external-hard-drive-it-wont-initialize.189277/
Relevancy 55.04%

Please i need help,some weeks ago,i posted that my system toshiba A135 is having a freezing problem anytime i insert a usb device.i was using windows xp professional then.now i have changed to windows vista that is the orginal O.S that came with my toshiba.whenever i plug a device it doesnt hang but it says usb device not recognize ,unable to install device driver etc.pls i need some tech advice

A:System says device not recognize to all USB device on Vista

Try this:
> Shudown computer
> Unplug computer power cord. If a laptop remove battery too
> Unplug all USB and other non-essential devices

Let is sit overnight

Now plug in, power up computer in the morning. When you reconnect your USB devices, if they have their own AC adapter
> USB device should be turned off
> plug USB device into AC plug
> plug device into USB port
> now turn USB device ON

is it recognized?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/system-says-device-not-recognize-to-all-usb-device-on-vista.160949/
Relevancy 54.61%

This problem has been driving me slightly crazy at the moment. It is a problem with the iPhone connected to the usb on my computer and iTunes does recognize the phone, but I cannot access the photos on it from windows explorer. Windows device manager says: windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware. (code 37) so I tried deleting the device drivers and rebooting and it worked temporarily but on reboot the problem returned and I have no idea who to do any suggestions?

A:windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware Code 37

See if this helps:

Quote:
If anyone is interested, I uninstalled the driver (from device manager) then shutdown computer
but left iPhone connected. Once rebooted, I went back to device manager, actions, look
for new hardware and then the autoplay prompt appeared asking if I wanted to upload photos.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/373386-windows-cannot-initialize-device-driver-hardware-code-37-a.html
Relevancy 54.61%

Long story short I tested Code cannot hardware. this for device 37 the initialize driver Windows a friends graphics card in my homebuilt computer Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware. Code 37 to see if it worked I took my Ati Radeon Pro out and put in this other card and then replaced the other card back with my Ati Radeon Pro Since then I cannot get the drivers to work again for my I have Windows bit I am positive that I did a fresh install of windows not an upgrade I cant remember if I installed specific drivers for my graphics card at that time or if windows did it All I know is that the card was running good with two monitors running together Everything stopped working after I tried my friends card out Ive downloaded so many Ati Catalysts and also different versions XP and Vista and none of them will work Sometimes it will just say quot The current driver is up to date quot and its showing the standard VGA graphics adapter Sometimes it will say quot Radeon PRO installed reboot now quot then when Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware. Code 37 I reboot it will give me this error quot Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware Code quot when I check device manager Basically any driver I try will give me this error Basically what I was doing was boot into safe mode use DriveSweeper to delete all ATI files then reboot and install different catalyst then go through device manager to quot update driver quot Then I would get the error above So now In my device manager I have this both with the exclamation point on them RADEON Pro RADEON Pro - Secondary and in control panel display Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware. Code 37 I am only showing one monitor not my nd monitor and it just says quot default monitor on quot From what I found out the Pro is such an old card that windows has no drivers for it but like I said it was working perfect before until I tried my friends card out My hardware Asus Ic -g Radeon Pro AGP GB memory P Ghz Thanks a bunch

A:Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware. Code 37

Have you tried removing both entries from Device Manager?

Clearing the motherboard's CMOS?

This may not be relevant to a 9800 Pro, but see:

AMD Catalyst

I get the feeling that recent AMD/ATI drivers may not like AGP very much. "Recent" may include the 10.2 ones, which are from February of 2010 (2 digit year,1 or 2 digit month).

http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/268493-windows-cannot-initialize-device-driver-hardware-code-37-a.html
Relevancy 54.61%

Hi all, I am hoping someone would be able to help me out on this problem. I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

Problem:
Windows detects my external HDD but doesn't show up in My Computer. Drive is detected in Disk Management, indicated as "not initialized". When I try to initialize the drive, it gives me the following error,

"The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error"

What I've tried doing:Do a clean instll of windows - Don't work
Uninstall external HDD driver, turned off power, turn it back on again, reinstalled driver - don't work
Tested the same external HDD on another Windows 7 system - No problems, detected and able to access
Tried plugging on different ports - Don't work

After hours of searching through the web and reading forums, I realized that this is quite a commonly faced issue. Thank you.

A:Unable to initialize external HDD in Disk Management due to I/O error

Control panel -> Administrative tools -> Event Viewer

Click on the caret > next to WINDOWS LOGS. Then click on SYSTEM. There ought to be a traced event of some kind with a physical I/O error.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/200593-unable-initialize-external-hdd-disk-management-due-i-o-error.html
Relevancy 54.61%

I just got a new Packard bell go
external hard drive which I used for a
couple of days with no problem. btw it
has never fell or had any physical
damage. I plugged it one day into the
PC and it couldn 't be detected in my
computer. it shows up in devices and
printers and also in disk management.
I read on some forums to try and
initialize it but it gives me an error
saying cyclic redundancy check. I 've
tried everything but still not working.
this is a new hard drive which has
never fell and no physical damage.
and please don' t tell me to return it
cos it was bought in another country.
the only option right now is to fix it .
any help ?? thanks

A:: External hard drive not showing in my computer and cant initialize help?!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-not-showing-in-my-computer-and-cant-initialize-help.1010541/
Relevancy 54.61%

Hi All,

I've recently ran into an almost identical problem that was described (but not resolved) in this thread.

In my case, the drive worked perfectly with my system and only recently stopped appearing in My Computer. Also, my drive is still visible and accessible on Windows XP but is not visible on my Windows 7.

I'd be grateful for any useful advice how to restore the functionlity of this drive on Windows 7.

Please let me know if you require any additional information to help resolve this issue.

Thank you!

A:Unable to initialize external HDD in Disk Management due to I/O error

Hello, tommythecat.
Is the external drive used much? Is it aging? Damaged (from moisture, shock [dropping] or misuse)?
If you can, back-up all the data to another HDD.
Connect the problematic HDD to the troublesome PC.
Open an administrative command prompt > type diskpart > type list disk.
Is the drive listed?

Cheers - Happy Holidays.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/204388-unable-initialize-external-hdd-disk-management-due-i-o-error.html
Relevancy 54.18%

Hello I just purchased a quot Barbie Fashion Show quot cd-rom software for my daughter for Christmas I installed it but when I click quot play quot a error message pops up that says quot Graphic device error Failed to initialize video card The system requirements for the game is as follows Pentium II or equivalent MHz or faster Windows Me XP MB hard drive space x speed cd-rom drive MB RAM -bit color x resolution DirectX or higher MB -D error:Failed device Graphic initialize card to video video card with DirectX or higher compatible driver This is my system information Microsoft Windows A IE emachines GenuineIntel Intel r Celeron tm Processor MB RAM system resources free Graphic device error:Failed to initialize video card Windows-managed swap file on drive C MB free Available space on drive C MB of MB FAT ATI D Rage Pro atir -bit color x resolution DirectX Can Graphic device error:Failed to initialize video card someone help me to resolve this problem pleeeaaaase My daughter was walking around on Christmas with her lips out because her game wouldn t work nbsp

Relevancy 54.18%

My external hard drive is no longer detected by my computer I can see it under the Disk Management but it is Unallocated and Unknown It also says quot Not Initialized quot I've read some of the suggestions in other threads and I have tried the MiniTool Partition Wizard but (cyclic external check) redundancy initialize drive hard Cannot it does Cannot initialize external hard drive (cyclic redundancy check) not seem to work for me The drive is identified as a quot Bad Disk quot I lost hope of retrieving my files so I decided to initialize the external hard drive even though I knew there was big chance I would no longer be able to retrieve my files I just wanted to be able to use the external drive again at the very least However when I tried to initialize the disk a Data Error appeared - cyclic redundancy check Now I don't know what to do I am totally clueless at this point I have little knowledge about these things but people here explain things very well Appreciate all the help I can get I just want to be able to use the external drive again Thank you in advance

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/388860-cannot-initialize-external-hard-drive-cyclic-redundancy-check.html
Relevancy 53.32%

My OS Windows -bit SP External Hard Drive LaCie Hard Disk Quadra TB Can't Intialized 'Incorrect Hard Initialize External - Not Error - Drive - Function' http www External Hard Drive - Not Intialized - Can't Initialize - 'Incorrect Function' Error lacie com au support support manifest htm id Problem I have TB HDD Both LaCie Different Models I share a USB cable between them when I need External Hard Drive - Not Intialized - Can't Initialize - 'Incorrect Function' Error to use one I unplug the cable and plug it into the other HDD I went on holiday my computer was off for weeks Came back and now one of my HDD is not working Model listed above I went to computer management and checked device manager - Disk Drives LaCie Hard Drive USB Device - Universal Serial Bus controllers USB Mass Storage Device is plugged in Storage Disk Management Disk - Unknown - Not Initialized when I try to initialize it Incorrect Function error appears This isn t a new HDD I ve used it for roughly years it serves as a Backup Device It is very worrying that my backup device would crash or fail or whatever the problem is I have looked at other threads on the forum with similar problems http social technet microsoft com Forums en-US winservermanager thread bd -c e - -a f-c f cd e b http social technet microsoft com Forums en itprovistahardware thread c ea - f - d - - b cb ac http social technet microsoft com Forums en w itprovirt thread bf a c- f - eb -b bb- a bb ddd http social technet microsoft com Forums en-US w itprohardware thread ba - fb - -b a - fef dda ffb Following the troubleshooting of this thread http social technet microsoft com Forums en-US w itprohardware thread ba - fb - -b a - fef dda ffb My results Also I ve tried plugging it into my laptop doesn t work on there either So the problem is definitely with the HDD Question Does anyone know how to fix this problem Will formatting the HDD fix the problem or is this a hardware issue If so is there even a way to format it Because the only way I know how to format a HDD is through computer management and that is even working in this situation Needless to say formatting the HDD is kind of a last resort I have around GB of data on this HDD that I would rather not losing The disk hasn t moved in months I don t see what would have caused this Thanks in advance nbsp

A:External Hard Drive - Not Intialized - Can't Initialize - 'Incorrect Function' Error

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-not-intialized-cant-initialize-incorrect-function-error.1043776/
Relevancy 51.17%

I am new to this forum and to posting tech questions online in general so hopefully I can describe what s going on accurately My computer has had no problems to iPod, External device) memory drives working (e.g. external not speak of lately I had not synced my iPod nano in some time maybe a month or two so I plugged it in yesterday to sync it I received the following message quot iTunes has detected an iPod that appears to be corrupted You may need to restore this iPod before it External drives (e.g. iPod, external memory device) not working can be used with External drives (e.g. iPod, external memory device) not working iTunes quot I have since discovered the problem has nothing to do with External drives (e.g. iPod, external memory device) not working the iPod itself The iPod plays all the music and podcasts that are currently on it just fine When I plug it into my girlfriend s computer her iTunes recognizes it just fine as my iPod and I was able to pull videos off of it I am now pretty certain the problem is with my USB drives I have an external memory drive that I use to back up documents - I had not used this in some time either Out of curiosity I plugged it in and it s not working either When I plug it in and turn it on nothing pops up and when I try to do certain actions to check on it like open My Computer the system freezes and I end up having to manually shut down the computer and restart I have gone through several threads on various forums and tried almost everything but nothing has resolved this issue Some threads suggested that plugging in certain devices can mess up your USB drives like this and a few weeks ago I did plug my girlfriend s printer into one of my USBs - I did get it to work but things were a little screwy with it so I m wondering if somehow that did something Other than that I can t think of anything else that has changed since the last time everything worked So far I have tried changing the drive letter on the iPod I have tried cleaning up my USB drives by using drivecleanup exe I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drives through Device Manager and I tried restoring my computer to a time when everything was working - none of this has fixed the problem and I m now at a loss Also FYI it s not easy for me to reinstall my operating system I have Windows XP Professional Service Pack because I purchased my computer from a custom dealer so I do not own my operating system CDs - they just load the OS onto the computer for you I can take it in to have it reinstalled but it costs and I just did that a few months ago so I really don t want to spend that much to do it again if it s not absolutely necessary especially since everything else on the computer is working fine I am hoping someone will have some insight on this and can help me out Any advice is welcome this has become extremely frustrating and time consuming Thanks Jon nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-drives-e-g-ipod-external-memory-device-not-working.171337/
Relevancy 50.74%

After working (relatively) well for years, WMP 11 does not recognize my Toshiba gigabeat player anymore. I am pretty sure it started after I installed iTunes for a new Nano iPod.
When I connect the Gigabeat to the computer (WMP open), WMP just freezes and does not work anymore.
By the way, iTunes works perfectly with my music (mostly classical) including downloads from EMusic, organizing it much better than WMP.
Thanks for any help.

A:WMP 11 will not recognize device.

For us dummies....what's a gigabeat?

http://www.vistax64.com/sound-audio/206663-wmp-11-will-not-recognize-device.html
Relevancy 50.74%

Hello,

I am running Win XP Pro SP2 on a MSI MS 6540 MB w/ Sis Chipset, and Phoenix Bios v 6.0. I recently tried to use a Belkin USB Bluetooth dongle Model F8T0012. Belkin tech support was unknowlegable with a proper solution. After their work around it works now, however, no other USB devices are recognized. These other devices include my Palm device(Treo 650) an external HD(Seagate ST250624A, now mounted internally to avoid this problem) and a Memorex mini TravelDrive. They will work on other workstations.

I tried updating the SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host controller drivers and the USB Root Hub drivers. No newer version were found.

I'm at a loss for options.

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

John

A:USB Device not recognize

Problem resolved.

After extensive Googling, I came across a post on verifying the BIOS settings. I disabled USB keyboard support in my BIOS and rebooted. Need to finish reinstalling drivers.
Will post if this does not completely resolve issue

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/usb-device-not-recognize-133455.html
Relevancy 50.74%

Hi, a few days ago i have connected my racing wheel. it worked well, but 2 days ago iv'e connect the wheel again and suddenly it says "USB device not recognize" iv'e searched in the internet solutions but all the things i have tried didn't helped, please help my its so annoying!!!!

A:USB device not recognize

Tru plugging it into your computer again. If it still is not recognized, leave it plugged in and shutdown the computer then restart it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/177093-usb-device-not-recognize.html
Relevancy 50.74%

i have win 7 on my computer, and ever since i got it, it shows my internal HDD as an external USB device, it shows the USB with the green checkmark on the bottom right, and when i hit eject media, it says,

"Eject WD 3200BEVT" (wich is my system internal HDD)

any idea on how to get rid of this or to set it as my actual HDD, the computer works great, just its annoying to see there,

thanks,

A:Win 7 recognize's my HDD as a USB device,

All three of my internal SATA drives act the same way. It's normal because SATA devices support hotplugging when the controller is running in AHCI mode.

It is probably possible to remove certain devices from the Safely Remove Hardware list with a registry hack of some kind, but I haven't found anything yet that works. A registry fix will only make the drive disappear from the list until the system is restarted.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/win-7-recognizes-my-hdd-as-a-usb-device-443546.html
Relevancy 50.31%

I have an old HD in a case that I can run through my USB hub. I just bought a "real" external HD for backups (Samsung 2.5") that doesn't show up in My Computer when I plug it into the hub. But it works fine when I plug it directly into one of the USB ports on my pc.

Any ideas?

A:USB hub won't recognize external HD

thaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnkkkkkkkkkkkkkkssssssss

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/usb-hub-wont-recognize-external-hd.738801/
Relevancy 50.31%

Hello, I have a Windows 7 Professional x64.. My Problem is that my external hard disk mass storage cannot be detected,i cant see the mass storage of my external drive in device management and disk management. Instead there is one that is detected "ASMT 2105 USB Device" yet it is 0 bytes and i cant access, it says insert disk..yet i connected the external drive on my computer. my external drive is Toshiba 3.0

Hoping for your replies and learn what to do, because i have so many important files in my external hard drive. thank you!!

A:External HD Not Recognize

Hi and welcome to SevenForums,
Shut down your machine = Power off.
Disconnect the external,
Power up and after login reconnect it into a different usb port,
Make sure the external if it has a power switch it is on as well,
Cheers.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/366555-external-hd-not-recognize.html
Relevancy 50.31%

I sold my Western Digital My Book External Hard Drive to someone amp they can't get it to work I used CCleaner to wipe the drive amp tested it with 'Hard Disk Sentinel' before selling it amp it checked out fine before recognize a HDD PC! external getting Need on help to a on I shipped it out Here is the test results of 'HD Sentinel' gave the HDD before I sent it The buyer is saying his PC isn't recognizing the drive under My Computers He claims to have tried in Device manager on updating the drivers amp selected to uninstall amp reinstall it but say's it didn't do anything Also in the Device manager he tried to make the Drive active or to select change drive paths letters but those options are greyed out This is what it looks like in Need help on getting a external HDD to recognize on a PC! his Device amp Printers page right clicking amp going into properties goes to this When he right clicks on 'My Computer' amp selects 'Manage' this is what it looks like This is what it looks like when he opens Device Manager Why won't the drive appear under his My Computer even though it shows up under Device Manager amp under Devices amp Printers I been searching the past week on External Hard Drives not being recognized by PCs topics amp every solution I told him to do hasn't worked

A:Need help on getting a external HDD to recognize on a PC!

Hi,
Is this it ?
My Book - External Hard Drives
I would guess some security features are stopping access ?
How did you connect to it and how is the buyer ?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/377315-need-help-getting-external-hdd-recognize-pc.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Earlier I formatted a PC with windows XP on it, the minute I plugged it up, a notification came up and said "This device can perform faster on a high speed 2.0 USB port". It says that when I plug them up into any USB port on the computer itself. The thing is, it will pretty much hang the system until I disconnect the external HD. It won't freeze 100%. It's responsive but no applications will open while it's trying to recognize the external.

It sounds to me like a USB driver problem or something because I'd assume it'd still recognize the drive even if it wasn't performing in a high speed 2.0 USB port... Any way to reinstall USB drivers? Never done that before. I have to use Hiren's Boot CD if I want to transfer files, simply because Windows XP won't recognize it and keeps popping up the notification.

Relevancy 50.31%

I am finally using my External HDD on my own PC after about a year My Uncle was the one who put it in the enclosure It worked fine on his PC I don t have it connected right now I don t even get the AutoPlay popup It won t recognize It s not even showing up in Device Manager or anything When I in External won't HDD my recognize PC can connect and unconnect the USB cable it makes a sound as in trying to find External HDD won't recognize in my PC hardware drivers I don t remember the make of the HDD to get the drivers It came installed in my PC as the only hard drive I had my Uncle External HDD won't recognize in my PC to replace it with a TB and the other hard drive as external I wanted to wipe the external clean so I could put my music on it What could be causing the issue I have an eMachines and it came pre-installed with Vista and then I upgraded to the Windows Anytime Upgrade My Model is EL - w nbsp

A:External HDD won't recognize in my PC

The first thing you need to do is try the external in another system. See if it works there. That will tell you very quickly where the problem lies; the external OR your system.

Vista does not need any drivers for an external drive. It has native drivers. One other item. Have you checked device manager to see if there are any yellow marks?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hdd-wont-recognize-in-my-pc.1012250/
Relevancy 49.88%

I m trying to rebuild a windows XP recognize device boot PC won't machine for a neighbor Something within the OS became corrupted and wouldn t boot and wouldn t recognize the boot device I get the message quot Reboot and select proper boot device or put media in the boot device and press any key quot I thought I would try removing the HD and reformating it in another PC and now I m trying to rebuild PC won't recognize boot device XP I ve tried booting from both the DVD and CD drives tried every different boot BIOS priority setting I could tried reading an XP pro CD ubuntu and opensuse Linux CDs and even a bootable Ultimate Boot CD that I just created All of the above work fine are recognized in another machine When I try to boot from directly from the HD I get quot NTLDR is missing quot - which may be normal since it is a newly formatted HD PC won't recognize boot device I m at a complete loss and don t know what else to try Could it still be the hard drive Any help or ideas is greatly appreciated Thanks Jerry nbsp

A:PC won't recognize boot device

Hello jklinken. This is well beyond anything that I would understand but this may help.
http://www.buildyourown.org.uk/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=25016

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/pc-wont-recognize-boot-device.631787/
Relevancy 49.88%

WinXP Home automatically recognizes my digital camera (Kodak CX4330) as a camera. Is there any way i can get windows to recognize it simply as a removeable media source, with a drive name? (E:/, G:/, etc.)?

Alternatively, is there any way i can retrieve deleted images off this camera using windows?

Thanks
Kahlua

A:Recognize Camera as a USB Device?

Hi kahlua,

I can't think of a way of fooling XP into thinking your camera is a mass storage device. You could pick up a card reader fairly cheaply though and put your memory card into that - it works on mine.

I'd be wary of trying to recover any images using XP because the cards have a different file system and it's easy to screw up the card permanently. I got a little program called PhotoRescue off the web, and it is great for getting deleted pictures back. Cost me about ?18 but well worth it!
Good Luck

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/recognize-camera-as-a-usb-device-97588.html
Relevancy 49.88%

I have Windows XP Home sp2, ASUS P5GD2-X MB, Intel Pentium 4. I can't get my system to recognize my MP3 Player. I have tried i-Pod as well as Philips (Specificaly for Windows). I have tried everything I can think of...update Bios, and chipset, remove and re-instal drivers, added a usb 2.0 card (I now have 12 usb ports). I have tried rolling back Media player to 10 since I was told there might be a conflict with 11. When I plug in, my pc recognizes that I have plugged in, but states that it does not recognize the device. I have tried to instal New Hardware, but get "Device cannot start: Code 10" message. I tried to uninstal SP2, with bad results and had to use System restore because of it. I am at my wits end here...all I want to do is plug in an MP3 Player in and have it recognized...any suggestions???

A:Xp sp2 won't recognize device-MP3 Player

UPDATE...I got the Philips player to instal as a MTP device, but it only shows up In MY COMPUTER under OTHER. I cannot access it though! When I try and open it, I get a message saying that I do not have permission, even though I am Admin on my PC. My USB still won't recognize the device, nor will Windows Media PLayer OR the Philips Device Manager that came with the player!! Please help! I have been through three different mp3 players in two weeks, and can't find any answers!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-sp2-wont-recognize-device-mp3-player.543886/
Relevancy 49.88%

My notebook has 3 usb - 2 on right and 1 on left. 2 on the right had always worked but I cannot understand why the on on left just does not respond to any usb device like it is non existence. I am not sure if it came like that from factory or went out shortly after I received it. I cannot remember ever using it until a couple years later when I needed to use my jump drive and found it won't work. Any thoughts or suggestions. I sometimes feel it could be just a loose connections inside, but I am not bold enough to open the unit and tinker with it unless guided by a knwoledgeable tech. Otherwise I am pretty handy with electronic components handling.

A:1 of 3 usb does not recognize any usb device pavilion dv6

Hello @tchellaram, Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums, I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More. I read your post about the issue with the USB port, and wanted to assist you!  I understand that only one USB port is not working properly. To start, can you provide me with the Product Number of the notebook?  Here is a link you can use that will help you find your Model and Product Number:How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number? In th meantime, you can try testing the hardware, by performing the Components Tests.  You can use the following documetn to help:HP Notebook PCs - Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 7, Vista) If the hardware is working properly, then you can try this document to see if the issue with the USB can be resolved: HP PCs - Troubleshooting USB Connections (Windows 7) Please let me know if this information helps you resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution", this will help others easily find the information they may be looking for.  Also, clicking the Thumbs up below is a great way to say thanks! Have a great day!

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/1-of-3-usb-does-not-recognize-any-usb-device-pavilion-dv6/td-p/5599021
Relevancy 49.88%

I'm working on a computer for a friend and have found that whenever I plug in a USB storage device, ANY USB storage device (Flash Key, External Hard Drive, etc.) the system recognizes the device and assigns a drive letter as it should but when I try to access the device I get a message box the says "The disk in drive <x> is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?" (where <x> is the drive letter assigned to the device).

The USB ports on this computer work normally otherwise and all of the USB storage devices work fine on other computers.

XP is up to date and has Service Pack 3 installed. The USB ports are 1.1. All the devices I tried were 2.0.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Mike

A:XP won't recognize any USB Flash device

hey Mike,

What this means is that the flash does not have a partition on it such as FAT, FAT32, or NTFS or if it does it is not recognized by windows. Now you said that any USB would not work but have you tried the same USB in another computer what happens?

If it is a matter of partitioning then say yes to formatting it and format it with a FAT, FAT32, or NTFS partition. to worn you this will erase any data on the drive.

Good Luck

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/192826/xp-wont-recognize-any-usb-flash-device/
Relevancy 49.88%

Hello,
I am having an issue with my HDMI Audio device not being recognize by Windows 10.The device does appear on the PCI BUS, see below. Only device I could fine in Device Manager when I view device by connection, is a device called High Definition Audio Bus with
device drivers amdkmafd.sys, drmk.sys, hdaudbus.sys, portcls.sys. Just no HDMI Audio Device? I read articles that this is a common problem with Windows 10?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d5ebeece-56e2-4a64-8676-2ed034db07ba/pci-device-not-being-recognize-by-windows-10?forum=w7itprohardware
Relevancy 49.88%

i have a meade scopecam i bought last year. i tried to plug it in after installing the software and XP driver from meade.com and every time i plug in the usb cable a window pops up saying the usb device has malfunctioned and windows doesnt recognize it. i have 21 pictures on it and want to view them but cant can some1 please help me?i have a hp pavilion 513c

(this is a 2nd thread...sorry )

Relevancy 49.88%

Hi, Nick newbie here.

My Acer laptop (Aspire 4920G) can't initialize Windows. When I turn it on, after the Acer logo shows, comes a blank screen with a cursor. OS is Windows Vista. What can I do? Would want to restore with my recovery disc but important files and applications are still inside. Is there a way to restore Windows without having to resort to the recovery disc?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/my-acer-laptop-cant-initialize-windows-need-help-401371.html
Relevancy 49.88%

ibm thinkpad t41 ( model: 2373) and the thing won't recognize maxtor external usb HD. i just reinstalled winxp pro and updated all the drivers i could find. the hard drive does show up under removable hardware and it also shows up under disk management under admin tools. i tried activating it and assigning a driver letter and still nothing. side note: when i first plugged it into the computer windows never popped up with the automatic hardware installation wizard. when i try to manaully run it the computer sais its in use. does anyone have any idea whats going on?

A:IBM Thinkpad won't recognize external HD

Are the USB ports working correctly with other devices attached?
Is the drive partitioned and formatted?
What does disk mamangement say about the state of the drive?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ibm-thinkpad-wont-recognize-external-hd.269773/
Relevancy 49.88%

When I hook up my external hdd, I get "USB device not recognized". It was working fine a few days ago. It also tells me that "one of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned." My question is, is there any way to recover the files from this hdd? And if possible fix it completely, which i don't hope for too much.

Relevancy 49.88%

Hello,
i have 1TB external HHD, it's been long time sense i last connected it
to the computer, but when i did i noticed this in my computer:-

Drive O, also when i checked the Disk Management i have found
that it says it's only 500GB not 1TB!!!

is there away to fix this issue without formatting the HHD?
PS: i checked my cable it's working with other HHD.
thanks & best regards.

A:My External HHD won't recognize my data!

Have you tried running Check Disk (Error checking)?
Right click on your HDD icon.
Select "Properties"
Click on the "Tools" tab

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/205372-my-external-hhd-wont-recognize-my-data.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Hi,

I have 3 system and they have in the network. all the systems having windows xp. My probelm is i had 2 external HDDs before 2 days back it is working fine. after 2 days it is not recognized in my systems even i cant see the drive icons in windows explorer, Device Manager, and Drive Management.. I check in removable media also.

can anyone solved this probelm ???

A:Windows not recognize External HDD

I had the same sort of problem a while back with an external HDD, my system wouldnt recognise it at all, just pluging it in, although the manual sed it would instantly recognise and install it.
There was always the problem of it being and unrecognised device.
Eventually i had to go online and download specific drivers for the device in order for it to be recognised. Works fine now though.
Id have a look online for your External HDD drivers and install them on the PC's not recognising it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-not-recognize-external-hdd.497156/
Relevancy 49.88%

Hello
Win7 wont recognize external HD seagate st3500320as in my computer. It is recognized in bios though ,and in device mgr. How can I get this to be recognized in my computer so I can format it and use as a storage device. Seagate is connnected to my PC by a sata usb adapter. I have no problem getting WesternDigital HD to be recognized using adapter, just this seagate. Any thoughts?

Thanks

A:Win7 won't recognize external HD

It probably needs to be initialized then you can create a volume on it.
Partition or Volume - Create New

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/396321-win7-wont-recognize-external-hd.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Hello all I have a Windows XP bit with SP with up to date patches When I try to access data from a Western Digital recognize external XP exfat won't hd G external USB HD which is formatted as exFAT it says that it is not formatted XP won't recognize exfat external hd and asks me to format it now This same drive works fine when I attach it to a Win bit workstation On the XP machine I chose to format the drive using exFAT I get the message quot windows was unable XP won't recognize exfat external hd to complete the format quot Now if I format the drive using NTFS I am OK I even formatted the HD using exFAT on a Win bit machine When I place the HD back to the XP machine it sees the drive and the drive letter but keeps saying that it needs to be formatted In conclusion the drive works on my Win both no matter what filesystem I use but in XP it only works as NTFS I have no trouble seeing the drive or any drive letters I even changed around the drive letters around from F to Z and I tried disabling the firewire connection I read this on another site Normally I would just use NTFS and be done with it However I wanted to use this drive to backup some things on my XBOX which does not recognize NTFS Also if im not mistaken I wanted to attach this to a MAC and MAC won't recognize NTFS either but I believe it does recognize exFAT The HD is a little old but it does work fine Any ideas

A:XP won't recognize exfat external hd

If you don't have any files over 4Gb, I would use FAT32. I've actually had this exact same issue - what I did was partition the drive (160Gb) into 2 FAT32 partitions both formatted at 31Gb, then the rest of the disk space as NTFS. All three drives were recognized by both systems. Of course, the best way would be to purchase separate drives for each different file system you wish to use. Cheers.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/xp-wont-recognize-exfat-external-hd-537307.html
Relevancy 49.88%

I connected my external 2 disc enclosure (NexStar MX) with 2 TB and 1.5 TB HDDs.
Windows XP recognizes the enclosure perfectly. Windows 7, 64 bit Manage shows "Invalid Discs". What shall I do? I am shocked and frustrated. Do I have to format the discs?! They are almost full. Did anybody come across with this issue? What is the solution? I tried NexStar in another PC with Win XP - both HDDs are recognized.
Please help.

A:Win 7 does not recognize 2 TB in external enclosure?

Would this help you?
How to fix “Invalid Disk” error in Windows 7 | Mike Norman&#039;s Blog

This would assume that the drives are tagged as Dynamic disks. You could also check this out in Disk Management on the XP machine.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/135781-win-7-does-not-recognize-2-tb-external-enclosure.html
Relevancy 49.88%

PUTER WILL NOT RECOGNIZE EXTERNAL HD

I have a Hatachi DK23 BA-20 USB external HD. When I first got it. My puters would recognize it. Now they won’t. Does anybody have an idea why?

When I first connect it, it is recognized and 98SE looks for a driver, but cannot find one. It never did that before. XP also will not recognize it either, as an independent HD that you can access, but it will recognize it in the device manager section of the system.

Thanks for any help, you can give.

A:Puter will not recognize external hd

Does it show up in disk management in XP (Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management)? Perhaps the drive was corrupted.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/puter-will-not-recognize-external-hd.826652/
Relevancy 49.88%

hello.
i tried to go to 'disk management' and it says that fat32 is healthy, as is ntfs. my simpletech external hardrive is not being recognized by my xp. and im not sure how to fix it. please does anyone know how? i got a macbook and i want to transfer my music files from my pc and my ext. hardrive is not working.
thnx.

A:Xp Does Not Recognize External Hardrive

I have the the same problem, and I have tried it a couple of PC's. I heard it was due to a windows update.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/xp-does-not-recognize-external-hardrive-302084.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Back in May we purchased a new hard drive for our computer but then in August the motherboard went out Since I am not quot techie quot enough to mess around with motherboards we bought another computer We recently purchased Computer external won't recognize HD an external enclosure to Computer won't recognize external HD turn the IDE drive we bought into an external hard drive We have an IDE ATA drive We got it into the Computer won't recognize external HD enclosure hooked it up to the power source and then the computer but the computer is not recognizing it When we turned it on it said that it was installing driver software and that the software had been successfully installed The problem is I cannot find the device to access the files that are on it shouldn t it appear under the devices with removable storage If anyone can help me figure out how to find the device on my computer I would appreciate that The previous hard drive has Windows XP on it for it s OS and our new computer has Windows Vista I don t think that would keep the drive from showing up though since we have it on slave settings and have not Computer won't recognize external HD attempted to access any of the OS files on the old hard drive If the hard drive is set to slave and we are using it externally then it shouldn t matter if there are other OS files on there should it Someone suggested to me that I try using TWEAK UI but when I looked into downloading that it sounded like it was only for XP and I certainly don t want to download something that might create havoc with my computer Thanks Kendra nbsp

A:Computer won't recognize external HD

For the external enclosure try setting the jumper to master. Master/Slave is for when you have two devices on the same IDE cable. That is no longer the case with this hard drive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-wont-recognize-external-hd.142330/
Relevancy 49.88%

When I plug in my external HDD I hear the USB noise but it does not show up under My Computer It does however show up and it allows me to safely remove the device though it doesn't have the original device's name FlexDrive So not does external HDD 7 Windows recognize my instead of quot Eject Flexdrive quot it says quot Eject External quot I've been having this problem with this HDD for a while now but I would just eject it and plug it back in Windows 7 does not recognize my external HDD and it would recognize This time it was a different story it is not recognizing even though it lights up and the disk starts to spin This is what disc management shows as well also showing what I meant when trying to eject EDIT lol for example right now I just ejected it and plugged it in again and autoplay came up EDIT And now that I have it working this is what it looks like EDIT And this is what disc management looks like when it is working

A:Windows 7 does not recognize my external HDD

Glad to see you found your own solution and saw the drive initialized! GamerKingFaiz Welcome to the Seven Forums!

If you are now looking for seeing a drive letter remain longer even after unplugging and replugging the drive in you can reformat the factory Fat 32 if nothing is on it presently to switch that over to NTFS and assign the drive letter you prefer in the Disk Management tool.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/95918-windows-7-does-not-recognize-my-external-hdd.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Hi I'm having an issue with my brand new ASUS box, I have an external CD (USB), my computer won't recognize it, it's a XP, I have tried the same external drive on another computer and it works just fine. Something with the registry maybe??
Thank you !

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-wont-recognize-external-usb-cd.990241/
Relevancy 49.88%

My computer does not recognize one of my external hdds I am using two gb external hdds that are from the same manufacturer and only one of them shows up I am able to swap between each one and read the data from HDD recognize External does help! please Win7 not them but they can't both be connected so there's nothing wrong with the Win7 does not recognize External HDD please help! external hdds itself Code comes up and it's unknown in the devmgmt This had happened just over night All I did on my Win7 does not recognize External HDD please help! end was simply turn off the two external hdds before going to sleep I upgraded to win x about a month ago and have not had problems with my external hdds until today No problems at all with my other usb related devices It had worked flawlessly on XP bit before I upgraded to Win x I'm sure my computer is not underpowered Corsair w My chipset is fully updated It also only shows one of the hdd in the bios when both are connected Quick summary - identical hdds on win x they are not new and have data on them already - only of them is recognized at one time - all other usb devices work flash drive mouse digital music player etc - can switch between the two hdds manually and no problems accessing data from each My computer still remembers which drive letter I assigned them to - the problem started when I turned them off for the night - only of them at a time is shown in the bios - it occasionally hangs on the splash startup screen for asus logo now and have to hard restart when this happens - code I have tired - Uninstalling each USB from devmgmt individually then restarting to let it reinstall each USB driver - Simply shutting down and pulling the power cord from my PSU and waiting for a bit before booting up again - Trying to install the USB drivers from manufactures website - Updating to latest chipset - Considering updating my bios However I would like to hold off on this for now Other info - no OC done - absolutely no problems of this nature when I still had XP on my machine and for the first month with win From reading around I would have thought it might be my mobo but I haven't had any problems until now I can hardly believe simply turning off my hdds for the night did this unless someone explains how something ridiculously like this could happen from turning them off Any help would be greatly appreciated and I'll give more information if needed

A:Win7 does not recognize External HDD please help!

Thanks Joules, However, I had mentioned I did the steps you are suggesting in my OP. This did not work for me.

Quote: Originally Posted by Kin3tic

I have tired: - Uninstalling each USB from devmgmt individually then restarting to let it reinstall each USB driver.

But please, if possible, suggest something else because I still can't seem to find a solution to my problem. To further add, I cannot restore my system as that I have been running win7 for not too long and there has not been a time to make a system restore point.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/142127-win7-does-not-recognize-external-hdd-please-help.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Hi so recently my PC has stopped recognizing any external devices such as cameras, HTC phone and iPad. I have ran malware and virus scans in safe mode and found nothing. I have also gone to device manager and nothing shows up whilst plugged in. I have uninstalled all drivers that correspond to the devices and re installed them with no luck. I have also done the same with MOBO drivers. All USB 2.0 ports have been tried and none of them work. USB drives however do still work in all of the ports. NOTE all external devices previously worked and the only thing about my PC i have changed is the keyboard and mouse since this started happening.

Any help would be much appreciated if anymore info is needed please ask. Here are some important specs:

Win7 64bit
8GB corsair RAM
Intel i5 3570k @ 3.4ghz
Gigabyte Z77-G3H MOBO

A:PC will not recognize any external devices?

I think you need to try some software for this procedure. Driver management tool that will find and update outdated drivers on your PC. I use this one. Maybe it will help you Bro ?

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/330829-pc-will-not-recognize-any-external-devices.html
Relevancy 49.88%

hi everyone,

i really need your help. i have an external harddrive, and i believe it is a western digital (i don't know how to check its model since it is closed in a case) 250GB hard drive. i have Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit edition with all of the latest updates installed.

the hard drive simply is not recognized anywhere. i have plugged it into all of the USB ports (sometimes while having all of my other USB equipment unplugged) on my computer, and neither one will have it be recognized. the green light is on, so the power is working, but disk management, device manager, and my computer do not have the device listed at all, whether working or not working.

please, i have tried to figure this out on my own for days now and nothing is working. i have extremely important files on there. i need to get it working.

thanks in advance,

sebastian

Relevancy 49.88%

I have a fantom drive, 1tb, USB 3.0 external HD and after a clean install of Windows 10 won't get recognized. When I start the drive I hear the tones as if it has been activated but doesn't show up anywhere. I have tried resatarting, turn off turn on, unplug replug over and over but all I get is the tone that says Windows sees it but still can't find it anywhere. I have reinstalled the USB 3.0 driver and according to device manager it is working fine. I don't know anymore tricks to try. Can anyone help?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-10-wont-recognize-external-hd.1167104/
Relevancy 49.88%

Running Vista x recognize Vista HD does not x64 external Business I have been using these two TB external drives for a bit over months We recently moved and I went thru Vista x64 does not recognize external HD the Safely Remove Hardware procedures before shutting down my PC Once we got to the new house and I set up my PC I cannot view the external drives on my Vista machine However on my daughters XP machine they external drives show up fine and all data is available When I connect them to my Vista machine Safely Remove Hardware eventually shows a drive letter assigned but Windows Explorer or Computer does not and shows the spinning Busy icon for hours I have left this running overnight to see if the drive s will eventually show up but they don t Drives are formatted NTFS have never been used on another PC have not been dropped They were formatted NTFS on the Vista machine Again if I connect them to my daughters XP machine they are recognized in a matter of seconds and all data is available Any help would be appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 49.45%

I have two USB expansion drives. They have permanently been assigned drive letters (Y: and X: ) This is so they can be removed and then plugged back in to maintain the pathways for other files and programs.It was working fine and then one day not.
At start up, Windows can only see an "unknown device" for drive X: and can't load the drivers. It's OK with Y: . I have deleted and reinstalled the motherboard and window drivers, but that did not change anything.
I can unplug the drive and plug it back in, and the drivers load and it works fine. This is annoying behavior and I don't want to do this every time. Any thoughts. thanx. nova1566

A:Windows can't recognize USB device at start up

Try a System Restore to a point before the problem arose.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/303392-windows-cant-recognize-usb-device-start-up.html
Relevancy 49.45%

My Satellite Pro M70 has three USB slots, one to the left and two (vertically one over the other) at the back of the laptop.

The upper USB slot at the rear is beginning to give problems. At times my computer does not see whatever I have plugged in there. But if I unplug whatever it is - usually the printer or the mouse - the computer will usually then see it.

What is the problem? Can anything be done to rectify it?

My operating system is XP. and my laptop is 4.33 year old.

Thanks.

A:Satellite Pro M70 - USB port not recognize the device

Just to clarify. My laptop is a Satellite M70 (PSM76E-00500K-AS).

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?52032-Satellite-Pro-M70-USB-port-not-recognize-the-device
Relevancy 49.45%

Vista Home (Vista) Windows Does Not USB Device Recognize Premium -bit Bought a Brother B W Laser printer model HL- I installed Windows (Vista) Does Not Recognize USB Device it per the mfg's direction CD-ROM gt attached USB cable gt turned printer on and I instantly get the message quot Windows does not recognize the Windows (Vista) Does Not Recognize USB Device attached USB device quot As I was installing using Ashampoo Uninstaller I deleted all files associated with the install Upon restart Vista automatically installed the printer with Vista drivers The Brother printer appeared in quot Printers quot and I made it the default In Printers it indicated quot Ready quot I attempted to print a Word doc and it failed Opening Printers it merely stated quot Error quot and also stated quot Error quot when I opened the print job It showed that the doc was cached but would not print Per Brother I purchased a new USB A B cable needed an extra one anyway but to no avail Also attempted installing on a Window laptop and get the same results The bottom line is if Vista installs the printer it won't print and if Brother attempts the install the device is not recognized I attach the recommended steps to correct the problem and am at the point of returning to Staples for an exchange but would prefer figuring this out if the printer is not defective BTW the attached troubleshooter is for another model but Brother says it applies to the model I have If anyone has any insight into this I would really appreciate the advice As always thank you in advance Mark

A:Windows (Vista) Does Not Recognize USB Device

I apologize for the fact that it took such a long time to post a reply. I think that I can safely say that you were not overlooked, but me and the other members were puzzled by your dillemma. I think that you will have a better chance at solving your problem if I take a few educated guesses rather than just ignore the question. It would be a nice New Year for us both if we can get this resolved.
My first inclination is to believe that the printer is defective, since it does not work on any computer that you tried.
Most printers have a print test that you can try, lets start there and see whay happens. My answers will be posted spordically, since I will be away for the holidays.
How do*I print a Test page? : Brother

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/294180-windows-vista-does-not-recognize-usb-device.html
Relevancy 49.45%

Good Morning,

I am having a problem with Windows XP recognizing my USB devices. When I plug in a device to any of my USB ports it recognizes there is something there, but errors out and will not load the device. I've tried memory sticks to printers to a USB mouse and I've tried all my USB ports and I get the same issue on all of them.

Computer: CyberPower Inc. Intel Core 2 CPU 6400 @ 2.13 ghz
Ram: 2.00 gb of ram
Operating System: Windows XP Media Center Edition Service Pak 2

I was told I would have to reinstall windows to correct drivers that might be in the Service paks and thus lose everything on my hard drive. Is there anyway to fix this problem without having to start over?

Thank you for your help,
Wulfghar

Relevancy 49.45%

I recently reinstalled windows xp on my dell dimension 4600 after it was so badly infected with viruses that the keyboard completely stopped responding.

After wrestling with getting the internet connection to work again I've been stumped as to how to get my sound to work. I've updated all the sound drivers and I'm 100% certain that the wires are all hooked up correctly. When I go to audio devices in control panel it just says that there is no audio device attached, I've tried unplugging my speakers and connecting headphones and it's still the same story so I know it's not a hardware issue. I've tried everything I could find on the internet and still it just won't register the sound and there is no speaker icon in the bottom right corner where there usually is. What could possibly be going on?

A:Computer won't recognize audio device

Hello and welcome to the forum!Try these from Dell.Install the chipset drivers first.Edit: Dont use anything else!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/435078/computer-wont-recognize-audio-device/
Relevancy 49.45%

I am using a TOSHIBA A200-12X laptop with VISTA. Recently I have noticed that the system recognize the printer and scanner and mouse on USB 2.0 ports but do not recognize my camera (Olympus) or do not recognize my NOKIA E90 phone. This is quite surprising because it did not happen with all equipments.
If you have some ideas about that thsi sould be very hepfull.

A:Toshiba does not allways recognize USB device

Hi prgmz,

Welcome to Vista Forums!

Do you know when this problem began (you said recently)? Try a System Restore to a point in time BEFORE the problem began. Here's the procedure: http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/76905-system-restore-how.html. Be sure to check the box to show more than 5 days of restore points. If the first attempt fails, then try an earlier point or two. NOTE: You will have to re-install any software and updates you installed between now and the restore point, but you can use Windows Update for the updates.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

http://www.vistax64.com/drivers/286991-toshiba-does-not-allways-recognize-usb-device.html
Relevancy 49.45%

I reinstalled Windows XP Home SP a while ago and everything has been running smoothly except the sound It doesn t work at all When I go to quot Sounds and Audio Devices quot in Control Panel it says quot No audio device quot I know that I have a good sound card and good speakers that are plugged in Also in Device Manager NONE of the devices under sound video and game controllers had a yellow exclamation point Well none of them DID until I tried to install a bunch of new hardware from the quot add hardware quot won't recognize Windows device? audio my option in control panel Everything I tried to install is not working But I don t think that s my problem since the sound wasn t working before I have in device manager updated all of the drivers and searched for new hardware and none of these things has worked I have also checked my BIOS settings and onboard sound is enabled Oh and in case Windows won't recognize my audio device? you haven t guessed I don t have any CDs or anything that would help me install whatever it is I need installed if that s the problem Okay I m not entirely sure what you want me to put as far as my system information because I m kind of a n Windows won't recognize my audio device? b so I ll just put down what Belarc Advisor says about it OS Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack build System Model Gateway E- System Serial Number Chassis Serial Number Enclosure Type Desktop Processor gigahertz Intel Pentium kilobyte primary memory cache kilobyte secondary memory cache Main Circuit Board Board Intel Corporation D GLC AAC - Serial Number ABLC BIOS Intel Corp BF A A P Multimedia Crystal WDM Audio Codec ES AudioDrive WDM ES Plug and Play AudioDrive WDM ES AudioDrive WDM ES Plug and Play AudioDrive WDM MPU- Compatible MIDI Device SiS Audio Driver Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device VIA AC Audio Controller WDM If you need any other specifics let me know I really need this problem fixed Thanks for your time nbsp

Relevancy 49.45%

Hi

Windows doesnt recognize my joypad but it used to recognize it earlier. I tried with changing slots but nothing seems to work. I also had problems that my other usb devices (mouse,keyboard etc.) stopped working but with just moving out/in cables they are working again but this joypad . I dont know about drivers but if it used to work earlier (week , two ago) then i suppose its not about drivers.
If its important joypad is Gembird JPD FFB.

Any help i would appreciate.

A:Windows doesnt recognize usb device

If it is a driver issue the English page translated for the download is at Google Translate

Note the Systems Requirements are Windows 98SE/ME/2000/XP/Vista so I would suggest trying it in Compatibility Mode in either Vista SP2 or XP SP3 it appears to be quite old.

Your other option is to revert back to a time you are sure it was working say 3 weeks and 2 or 3 days ago, this will either get it operational again and allow you to figure out what update may have caused it to stop working.

You could also look back in the System Event Logs and see if anything about the joypad is in it as either an Error or Critical event, last but not least it could be it finally has given up the ghost.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/139423-windows-doesnt-recognize-usb-device.html
Relevancy 49.45%

Okay, I am running Windows XP SP2, updated drivers, updates, and everything you could think of. Whenever I plug in my PSP, it comes up as a Mass Storage Device, but I'm unable to open up the files inside...It says, "The disk in Drive G is not formatted. Would you like to format it now?" Even if I click yes, it doesn't format...I also tried hooking up my Samsung S730 camera, and my brothers Pentax S60, and both react the same way, not letting me open up the files or pictures...Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Relevancy 49.45%

I have a Dell Inspiron 3847 with 2 USB 3 ports (that is: supposedly USB 3) and run Win 7 64bit. Recently bought a WD Passport USB 3 HDD - MyPassport. Can read/write to device fine but sometimes when I boot up (with HDD always connected) get a Win 'error' that a Mass USB Storage device could run faster if connected to an USB 3 port.
The connectors are blue (both at CPU and device) - which I believe indicates USB 3 ... so it is connected properly.
I just booted and got the 'error'/warning. Checked the Device Manager and:
It said everything was working correctly - USB 3 Hub, Mass Storage device, and WD Drive Management devices
Used 'safely remove device' then unplugged MyPassport
Replugged MyPassport
Rebooted - NO 'ERROR"/WARNING
Is MyPassport really operating as a USB 3 device?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/538095/sometimes-when-boot-win-doesnt-recognize-usb-3-device/
Relevancy 49.45%

Since some time I have an annoying problem:
Standard USB-devices ara not recognized. There where in the past an USB device was recognized e.g. my camera or my external drive, Windows says it has detected new hardware and wants to install.
If I tell windows to install, it will not find the driver software. I have no idea where to look for a solution.

Has anybody a suggestion. Thanks

A:Windows XP will not recognize standard USD device

have you tried telling it where your drivers are?! easier way..rather than trusting it to look?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-xp-will-not-recognize-standard-usd-device-254509.html
Relevancy 49.02%

I have a Dell computer with Windows XP. I have an internal hard drive and two external hard drives that I use for storing photos. It was suggested that I De-Frag my internal hard drive to improve performance. I did this and now the computer doesn't recognize one of the external hard drives and it shows the other as being completely full (which it wasn't before the defrag).

A:System won't recognize external drives

welcome to TSG.
Have you tried to go to Add Hardware in the Control Panel and try to search for new hardware? And restart computer?
My Dell seems to loose external drives and anything plugged in to USB ports, often.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/system-wont-recognize-external-drives.882554/