Windows Support Forum

"Reboot and select proper boot device" error

Q: "Reboot and select proper boot device" error

which i have yet to find a solution to after four hours of scouring the tubes i finally got all the pieces of my new computer together new HW msi mainboard k n pgm -v amd athlon II x mb RAM nvidia geforce gt x sata LG multi drive x sata gb drive not new but unused old HW x IDE gb drives x IDE cd r w the old hw works fine when plugged into my old computer boots etc never had any issues with them at all except the cd drive sticks sometimes i ve set jumpers correctly all cables are seated properly both the SATA HD and the SATA multi-drive power up and seem to work correctly as do both IDE drives and the IDE disk drive the BIOS recognizes all components installed and i ve set my boot sequence to boot "Reboot and select boot error proper device" from only the IDE disk drive and in another attempt only the SATA disk drive still get the same error i ve connected the old HD with the old XP os installed on it and it gives me boot options you know safe mode w or w o command prompt etc or start windows normally but obviously as the OS was installed with another MB gfx "Reboot and select proper boot device" error card etc it would blue screen on me and reboot the computer the manufacturer screen for the mainboard appears normally any "Reboot and select proper boot device" error combination of IDE or SATA HD s has been tried the only thing i haven t tried that i have seen on the web is removing the video card but i fail to see where that would affect the computers ability to recognize the CD in the disk drive Also the only copy of windows xp pro I have at "Reboot and select proper boot device" error the moment is a burned copy i have a product key set for my new computer and i have used this same copy to install onto my younger siblings computer and had no problems at all now if I am completely ignorant to a fact like part or most of my computer will not run XP please forgive me but it seems like even if that were the case the computer would still try and boot with the CD inserted any help at all would be greatly appreciated and thank you for taking the time to help me out snuffXdub nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-error.168546/
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: "Reboot and select proper boot device" error

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 126.48%

Hello All,

My recently-purchased C50-B-13N laptop was installing 39 updates yesterday, when it crashed.

Re-starting trapped me into a continual loop. Following what appeared to be the logical approach to reset the factory settings, I
appear to have accidentally deleted the data on the drive.

I now repeatedly received the error message "Reboot and select proper boot device".

I've tried the F12 approach to <HDD recovery>, but my Boot Menu doesn't state this option.

I'm frustrated that the new laptop was performing so poorly, given I've had Toshiba devices for ~10 years.
Additionally, I'm disappointed that the potentially serious implications of deleting the drive <even accidentally> were not clearly advised to me, before commencing.

Please advise a solution.
The laptop is 4 months old.

Furthermore, how do I begin the process of claiming under my warranty?
An unhappy customer experience, thus far.

Regards,

DG.

<also posted to US forum, inadvertently>

A:Satellite C50-B-13N - Error "Reboot and select proper boot device"

I appear to have accidentally deleted the data on the drive.

Obviously the HDD recovery procedure isn’t possible now because the HDD recovery files have been deleted.

I guess you did not create a recovery medium as recommended in the user manual.

Well, in such case you have one chance to order a missing recovery medium and to recover the notebook back to factory state.

Recovery medium can be ordered here:
http://backupmedia.toshiba.eu/landing.aspx

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?82328-Satellite-C50-B-13N-Error-quot-Reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-quot
Relevancy 126.48%

Hello, Ive recently been getting this message and I cant seem to solve it.
I read a few topics and solutions, but I can't seem to grasp it. I am rather greatly unfamiliar with pc tech know how.
I tried putting the OS disk and restart, but I get the same error, and I dont know how to reinstall the OS. I can manage to get to the BIOS, if thats what its called, but Im not sure what to do from there. I tried setting priority to CD Rom but still, same error.

Im considering visiting the tech shop that built me the PC but if I can fix this at home I would give it a shot.

Im running Windows 7 Home premium 64bit.

A:Getting "reboot and select proper boot device" error on startup

Boot into BIOS setup, see if the hard drive is detected. If not change it's cables to see if it's detect or replace it.

If HD detected set it as first device to boot, save changes, exit and reboot. What is the exact error given?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/265561-getting-reboot-select-proper-boot-device-error-startup.html
Relevancy 126.48%

Hi guys A short while ago I posted about my GB WD HDD that was giving me a Bootmgr is Missing error Well I don't get that error now after using KillDisk to wipe the drive clean but after reinstalling Windows and Sometimes - Just "Reboot Proper Boot and Device," Select etc. Error all my programs today I got the infamous quot Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device quot error I've actually gone through the Windows reinstallation process three or four times in as many days to try and rid myself of the error but it appears I'd say on two out of every ten restarts only on this GB drive and it isn't "Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device," etc. Error - Just Sometimes permanent If I do a control alt delete Windows starts normally I don't know if this means anything but sometimes before the error message I see quot Matrix Storage Manager quot appearing and disappearing quickly Startup repair using a Windows repair disc says no problems could be detected and my installation of Windows is listed I have checked for loose cables No problems I have run chkdsk and the WD diagnostics tool long method It passes My HDD is set "Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device," etc. Error - Just Sometimes as the first boot device and the DVD-RAM is second When I restarted the PC I noticed on the HP splash screen that it said to press F for diagnostics I did that As you'll see it came back with a BIOHD- error no drives detected The DVD-RAM and HDD work other than the error message and are detected in the BIOS so this sure is puzzling After this I powered down the PC opened it up checked the cables and then removed the GB drive and reinstalled my TB drive powered the PC up and ran the test again It passed Based on this can I assume that the GB drive is close to failing It just seems odd why all the other diagnostics say it is fine and the HP diagnostics give the error

A:"Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device," etc. Error - Just Sometimes

Check in BIOS setup to see if HD is detected. What is the SATA controller setting? Is there more than one storage controller?

Test your HD using maker's HD Diagnostic extended CD scan, followed by Disk Check run from the installer's Command Line in System Recovery Options.

If necessary format a full disk partition marked Active to try install and do the DIsk Check, using Step 2.2 here: SSD - HDD Optimize for Windows Reinstallation

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/251425-reboot-select-proper-boot-device-etc-error-just-sometimes.html
Relevancy 126.48%

I have a Toshiba Satellite M50D-A-10W that went all "reboot and select proper boot device" nuts on me.

This occurred before and it was solved by alt-ctr-del then F12 to enter BIOS where the date had gone back to sometime in 2010 - after bringing it up to the present and changing the boot device, everything worked fine ... until the next day.

Now I get the "reboot and select proper boot device" screen, but the F12 key doesn't work; I also tried F2 ... the message keeps multiplying, no BIOS ...
Please, help!

A:Satellite M50D-A-10W - "reboot and select proper boot device" error

In some cases the BIOS can be only accessed by pressing the force shutdown button on the bottom side of the unit.

Info:
http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/TSB3C03JR0000R01.htm

After you were able to boot up the windows system, its strongly recommended to update the BIOS as the BIOS update would solve this annoying issue.

Info:
http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/TSB4903N50000R01.htm

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?82677-Satellite-M50D-A-10W-quot-reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-quot-error
Relevancy 126.48%

Hi Everyone,

My computer started to freeze up a lot and now I receive the following error message on startup: "Reboot and Select proper Boot device. Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press any key."

It is a Windows XP OS.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Asara

A:on startup error message "Reboot and Select proper Boot device"

The boot sector on the hard-drive could be corrupted.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/248653-startup-error-message-reboot-select-proper-boot-device.html
Relevancy 122.45%

I just finished building and putting together my computer, i ran into many obstacles but i got through them then now here i am, stuck on this error that says:
------
"Reboot and Select proper Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"
------
when i turn on my computer, preparing to re-download Windows XP 32bit on my old 300gb HDD. I confirmed in the BIOS that my HDD was recognized, but i don't see my CD/DVD drive on the boot sequence list..

Here are some info that might help?
Motherboard: Asus P8P67-M PRO
CPU: Intel core i5-2500k LGA1155 processor

and both my Harddrives and CD drives use SATA cables to connect to the motherboard

So any ideas?

Relevancy 122.45%

I just finished building and putting together my computer, i ran into many obstacles but i got through them then now here i am, stuck on this error that says:
------
"Reboot and Select proper Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"
------
when i turn on my computer, preparing to re-download Windows XP 32bit on my old Sa300gb HDD. I confirmed in the BIOS that my HDD was recognized, but i don't see my CD/DVD drive on the boot sequence list..

Here are some info that might help?
Motherboard: Asus P8P67-M PRO
CPU: Intel core i5-2500k LGA1155 processor

and both my Harddrives and CD drives use SATA cables to connect to the motherboard

So any ideas?

A:Reboot and Select proper Boot device" Error

Is the hard drive partitioned, formatted, and does it have an operating system installed on it? If not, then it's not gonna boot from it.

CD drive not being seen in BIOS:
- bad CD drive
- bad cable
- bad power connector
- bad power connector connection
- bad connection to motherboard
- bad plug on motherboard
- bad controller on motherboard

Try new cables and different ports (gray, blue, and navy blue) on the motherboard
Try different power connectors
If all of those don't work, then the problem is most likely with the CD drive (and it's the cheapest thing to replace and find out)

Quote:

Intel? P67(B3) chipset :
4 x SATA 3Gb/s port(s), blue
2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), gray
Support Raid 0, 1, 5, 10
Marvell? PCIe SATA 6Gb/s controller : *1
1 x eSATA 6Gb/s port(s), red
1 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), navy blue

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-error-632016.html
Relevancy 117.8%

Hello So a while ago my computer crashed and I wasn't sure what it was so I tried many proper with device" Boot data only "Reboot Select and 1 drive things because I wasn't getting any BIOS beeps so I thought it was the motherboard but long story "Reboot and Select proper Boot device" with only 1 data drive short it's the graphics card so I've replaced that with my old one for now But since I took out so many parts so many times I keep getting the quot Reboot and Select proper Boot device quot error I have a Motherboards - P P LE - ASUS And I've set the SSD to the primary boot I've tried to directly boot it via BIOS but they both still give the same result I've put the Win disk in and done a repair but still "Reboot and Select proper Boot device" with only 1 data drive no change Since my OS is installed "Reboot and Select proper Boot device" with only 1 data drive to my SSD is there a chance it could have corrupted the files or the actual drive when the computer crashed From what I heard SSD's seem to be a bit fragile Any help or recommendations would greatly appreciated Thank you

A:"Reboot and Select proper Boot device" with only 1 data drive

How many times have you tried startup repair ?

It may take 3 attempts.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/336619-reboot-select-proper-boot-device-only-1-data-drive.html
Relevancy 117.8%

Is it possible to transfer boot files from one hard drive to another proper boot removing "Reboot select device" and drive when one I have hard drives S-ATA one is a GB and the other is a TB I have Windows XP installed on the TB drive yet I "Reboot and select proper boot device" when removing one drive notice that these bootup folders and files are on the GB drive RECYCLE BIN RECYCLER System Volume Information AUTOEXEC BAT boot ini CONFIG SYS IO SYS MSDOS SYS NTDETECT COM ntldr pagefile sys Therefore when I wanted to use this GB drive for another computer that had a defective hard drive I backed up all the important data from the drive then I took the drive out then booted the computer back up just to make sure it still works That s when I got that quot Reboot and select proper boot device quot error I guess this is because the boot files got created on the GB drive which is NOT the drive that Windows XP is installed onto instead of the TB drive So what I d like to know is if I can somehow just copy the folders and files including hidden ones and then be able to boot from the TB drive I doubt it would be that simple but there MUST be a way to transfer the boot information to the TB drive Does it have something to do with BootMBR or Windows Recovery or something like that I don t want to change anything until I get some opinions from others Thanks nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-when-removing-one-drive.149097/
Relevancy 117.8%

Help please I turned on my computer and got a black screen with the message Reboot and Select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key I had no prior warning or problems with my computer I hit F for the setup menu and there is no hard drive listed under channel devices on the main Tab It says None for First Select proper screen black "Reboot boot device....." with and and Second Channel Device and The CD and DVD drives are listed under Channel Device and For Installed Memory it says MB PC - and Memory black screen with "Reboot and Select proper boot device....." Bank and show black screen with "Reboot and Select proper boot device....." MB DDR SDRAM Core Version says and BIOS Revision says Under Advanced tab it lists CPU type as Intel Pentium CPU GHz with HT Technology and it lists the CPU Speed and Cache RAM If I go to advanced under Boot Device Priority hard drive group is listed but has parentheses around it To the right it says that means the device has been disabled in the corresponding type menu but I don t see it anywhere as disabled I bought this tower several months ago used and it has no warranty There was no boot cd with it The really scary thing is that I cannot get into safe mode or system recovery It just goes back to the black screen with the message when I press F or F Can anyone help with any suggestions other than buying another hard drive I am on Social Security and it was a real hardship to buy the last one It is a HP Paviliona c I have Windows XP Home SP I will probably have to call a tech to come and look at it but I thought I would try you guys first Thanks for any suggestions Gail

A:black screen with "Reboot and Select proper boot device....."

In the bios setup menu, do you have the hard drives set to IDE mode?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/black-screen-with-reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-493311.html
Relevancy 117.8%

Hi folks tearing my hair out over this one Win Pro PC was 3 After a sudden "Reboot Select proper Boot device" and years, operating fine earlier in the day no hardware changes in almost a year Power it up later in the day and I get Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key There is a single DVD drive and only the Samsung SSD drive neither has changed Both DVD and SSD show up in my BIOS No matter how I arrange the SSD I get the Reboot and Select proper Boot Device I can boot from my Win Pro install DVD Since I know the DVD cables work I swapped both the DVD's power and SATA cable to the SSD no joy so cables After 3 years, a sudden "Reboot and Select proper Boot device" and SATA port seem fine Doing Repair from my Install disk fails I get quot This version of System Recovery Options is not compatible with the version of Windows you are trying to repair Try using a recovery disc that is compatible with this version of Windows quot I moved a year ago and my repair disk is missing From cmd window via Install disk I can access C and see my files just fine Using bootrec scanos does detect c windows fixmbr fixboot rebuildbcd will detect Windows and succeed across the board but still not correct the problem see below Using diskpart I can see that my disk is GPT GPT is new to me I'm more familiar with MBR recovery Does bootrec handle GPT too or is it just a relic now 'detail disk' shows the Samsung but with Boot Disk No That seems wrong volume c shows up ok GB GB free I can't 'active' the partition I get 'selected disk is not a fixed MBR disk quot Makes sense if it is GPT but I don't know what to do with GPT to mark a partition bootable Using chkdsk c no errors found PC has been working fine leading up to this I custom built it three years ago Only thing of maybe interest is that a month or so ago I had tried to upgrade to Win and had to abort due to an error I can't recall specifics but it was some sort of a driver issue I didn't have time to sort out The Windows install returned me to Win without apparent problem I'm not sure if this explains the 'Repair' error I've searched for help but I seem to be stuck Fix the GPT - A technique I'm not familiar with this is the first time I've dealt with a GPT and most of what I find on the net is MBR recovery advice quot Repair times quot technique - But I can't repair due to the Install disk's error above How can I get around it I'd like to recover the data on the drive if possible Thanks

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/394867-after-3-years-sudden-reboot-select-proper-boot-device.html
Relevancy 117.8%

I haven't been on my computer for a week, I was away from home and once I turned it on i get some message saying, Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key.

This happens every time I turn on the PC. I don't get to the Windows login screen or anything.
I have an AMD Motherboard, Raedon HD Graphic Card and run Windows 7 Ultimate.

Help, please?

A:Booting Issue: "Reboot and Select proper Boot device"

Please someone!

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/193561-booting-issue-reboot-select-proper-boot-device.html
Relevancy 117.8%

Hi! I just burned a copy of the Windows 8 Developer Preview onto a DVD. I have created a partition for the new OS (because I don't want to install over Windows 7).

When Windows 7 is running and I pop in the DVD, the computer directly recognizes it as a runnable program. I'm also able to install Windows 8 when Windows is running.

But because I want to install it to another partition I need to boot from the DVD. But I can't. First it just ignores the DVD, and boots right into Windows 7. So I tried to force boot via BIOS. Then it just said "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected". Can someone please help me?

I have an ASUS N82J laptop, 4GB RAM, Nvidia GT335M, i3-350M processor, 500GB HDD.

Thank you in advance

A:Booting from DVD issue, "Reboot and select proper boot device".

It would probably be better for you to post this on the new windows 8 forum.
Windows 8 Forums

I am using 8 myself but have yet to properly verse myself on it.
You are sure to find people with more on hand experience on the new forum

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/188106-booting-dvd-issue-reboot-select-proper-boot-device.html
Relevancy 117.8%

When left alone quot Reboot and select proper boot device or Insert boot media in selected boot device and device When left or alone..."Reboot proper Insert..." boot and select press When left alone..."Reboot and select proper boot device or Insert..." a key quot I have a new ish cpu that I bought last Christmas it works great and it has not crashed on me whenever I When left alone..."Reboot and select proper boot device or Insert..." am using it However when I leave it on overnight usually when it is downloading something big when I wake up in the morning I am greeted with a black screen with the words quot Reboot and select proper boot device or Insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key quot When this happens I simply press the power button a few seconds to turn it off then turn it on again and it boots normally pressing When left alone..."Reboot and select proper boot device or Insert..." a key only results in the message being repeated What infuriates me is that it only ever happens when I leave it on overnight so I don't know when and how exactly it occurs but it almost always does Like I said earler it never does this when I am using it as it works fine otherwise It just won't stay on overnight when I need it to Any thoughts on how to resolve this System info Windows ultimate x full retail installed once from scratch Intel core i k Nvidia Gtx ti gb RAM Seagate gb hdd for OS Tb samsung and Tb seagate hdd for storage all internal drives no external drives attached Connected via hdmi to Pioneer receiver vsx then to quot p Panasonic Plasma Tv

A:When left alone..."Reboot and select proper boot device or Insert..."

Bump. Anyone have any ideas? Do i need to present more info?

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/229561-when-left-alone-reboot-select-proper-boot-device-insert.html
Relevancy 117.8%

Hello all Not sure what happened over night My computer will stay up for around one hour or so and all of a sudden windows will do one of the following If I'm actively working on the computer like opening windows it will kind of lock up i can see my mouse move but can't click anything ctrl alt delete does nothing Just kind of frozen If I'm not doing anything on the computer and I just leave it idle I'll come back and it sits at the quot reboot and select proper boot device or and "reboot boot crashes device..." to proper Computer select insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key quot if I reboot the computer turn power off and back on Computer crashes to "reboot and select proper boot device..." it boots up perfectly I built the computer almost years ago Computer crashes to "reboot and select proper boot device..." Specs New egg list is here not sure if you can see https secure newegg com WishList M px ID Intel Core i k currently I dont overclock so it's at GHZ Motherboard ASUS P Z -V-Pro Memory gigs DDR not sure what brand to be honest Graphics Card HIS IceQ X Turbo H QNT G M Radeon HD GB -bit GDDR PCI Express x HDD Crucial M SSD GB HDDx SAMSUNG Spinpoint F ST DM HD SJ TB RPM MB Cache SATA Gb s quot Internal Hard Drive OS Win bit If you have any other questions I'll answer them asap Or any logs I can get I did run AVG and found nothing as well as Spybot Edit I did run windows memory tester mdsched exe and it found nothing wrong This really stinks Any help would be lt

A:Computer crashes to "reboot and select proper boot device..."

Hi,

Possible hard disk failure, let's run some diagnostics:

chkdsk -

Quote:

start>search bar>type cmd right click and select run as admin

Elevated CMD should now be opened, type the following:

chkdsk x: /r

x implies your drive letter, so if your hard drive in question is letter c, it would be:

chkdsk c: /r

Restart system and let chkdsk run.

If chkdsk turns out okay, run Seatools - SeaTools | Seagate

Run all tests EXCEPT: Fix All, Long Generic, anything Advanced.

Regards,

Patrick

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/computer-crashes-to-reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-704327.html
Relevancy 117.8%

Hi! I just burned a copy of the Windows 8 Developer Preview onto a DVD. I have created a partition for the new OS (because I don't want to install over Windows 7).

When Windows 7 is running and I pop in the DVD, the computer directly recognizes it as a runnable program. I'm also able to install Windows 8 when Windows is running.

But because I want to install it to another partition I need to boot from the DVD. But I can't. First it just ignores the DVD, and boots right into Windows 7. So I tried to force boot via BIOS. Then it just said "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected". Can someone please help me?
I have an ASUS N82J laptop, 4GB RAM, Nvidia GT335M, i3-350M processor, 500GB HDD.

Thank you in advance

A:Booting from DVD issue, "Reboot and select proper boot device".

im thinking it ignores the disc because the order you have for booting 7 is from hardrive first, if you press f1 or f8 or one of the f buttons at the black screen before 7 loads you will get the order of which to boot from first ,select disc and it should load the install screens .

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/2638-booting-dvd-issue-reboot-select-proper-boot-device.html
Relevancy 117.8%

Alright so here s what s going on Computer boots up After POST it makes me select either quot Start windows normally quot or quot Run startup repair recommended quot If I select quot Start windows normally quot it gets to the quot Starting Windows quot screen BSOD flashes it automatically reboots and gives me the quot Reboot and select device" and boot help - Solved: "Reboot proper select Please proper boot device quot error after POST It stops detecting my hard drive If I select quot Run startup repair quot it will load the windows files the little activity bar will slide by a few times and Solved: "Reboot and select proper boot device" - Please help then the screen just goes black note the computer doesn t turn off the screen just goes completely black no cursor or Solved: "Reboot and select proper boot device" - Please help anything In order to get it to detect my hard drive again I have to switch SATA ports on the motherboard but it just leads to the same error and goes back to not detecting my hard drive I have tried booting from the windows DVD but it will ONLY work if the computer does not detect my hard drive What I mean is the computer will hang up on the quot Starting Windows quot screen indefinitely However if the computer does not detect my hard drive meaning I didn t switch SATA ports after an error it will successfully boot from the DVD but I won t be able to run any repair or diagnostics on my hard drive because it isn t detected If I check my system information on BIOS after switching SATA ports so that it will detect my hard drive all of my hardware gets detected like it should My RAM and HDD capacities are correct everything looks as it should Here s some information on my system OS Windows Ultimate -bit Mobo MSI X Platinum LGA CPU Intel i RAM GB Triple-Channel HDD Seagate Barracuda GB nbsp

Relevancy 117.8%

Hello,

My computer has been having various problems lately (freezing up, shutting down automatically, etc.) Now it won't start up at all; during the start-up process, the machine displays the following message:

"Reboot and select proper boot device
or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key"
If I press F11 to enter the boot menu, the three devices that it offers me are:

1st floppy drive
CD/DVD
USB: HP Officejet
In the F2 menu, the primary boot device is listed as "1st floppy drive." Changing this device to "hard drive" does not solve the problem.

Recently, I attempted to clean out the computer case (it's quite dusty) with compressed air; is it possible that I messed something up this way?

A:[SOLVED] &quot;Reboot and select proper boot device&quot;

and welcome to the Forum

Open it again and check to see that the data and power cables are firmly seated on the hard drive and motherboard

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-and-quot-reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-and-quot-660344.html
Relevancy 117.8%

Hello guys When turning on my computer today I had to face a BSOD with the error name being quot System Thread Exception not Handled quot which prevented me from launching Windows in either way So I rebooted my computer on my Linux Mint partition in order to look on the internet the solution to this error I then created a USB bootable with Windows so I can access to the troubleshoot device" proper select and "Reboot boot issue kits However when I launched my computer again on my USB key I found myself in front of a black screen with words saying quot Reboot and select proper boot device quot Things get quite weird from now because when I try to boot from my SSD where Windows is installed I no more have the previous BSOD but always and always this black screen with the same message I do not know how to do now in order to access to Windows again and that's why I'm begging you now to give me some advice for my situation Unfortunately being unable to access to Windows I can't give you a DM Log Collector I "Reboot and select proper boot device" issue hope it will still be okay

A:"Reboot and select proper boot device" issue

Please check in your BIOS what the boot order is, prefered via a photo
How to upload files

http://www.tenforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/42948-reboot-select-proper-boot-device-issue.html
Relevancy 117.8%

I'm trying to install win7 on my SSD, but when i try, i get "Reboot and select proper boot device " message.

Anyone know how to fix this?

A:"Reboot and select proper boot device" Win 7 won't install on SSD

You need to go into the BIOS Setup and change the setting for the SATA controller to AHCI mode.
Then "Save & Exit" the BIOS Setup (F10).

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-win-7-wont-install-on-ssd.1054523/
Relevancy 117.8%

When I boot my system I get the error quot reboot and select proper boot device quot I verified my BIOS settings are good CD HD The only thing I can think of that might have caused this is a have booted a few times from a Live Linux disk Tails but I thought live disks were not supposed to modify hard device" weirdness and proper "reboot select boot drives right Anyway I "reboot and select proper boot device" weirdness inserted Win setup disk ran Startup Repair but it find no issues I discovered by accident that with the setup disk inserted rebooting the system works fine What's this about Would installing the bootloader to the MBR with EasyBCD fix it Thank you Here's the contents of the detailed boot entry from BCD Code Windows Boot Manager -------------------- identifier dea c- cdd- e -acc -f b d device partition "reboot and select proper boot device" weirdness C description Windows Boot Manager locale en-US inherit ea e ac- e - -aaa - d d a f e default - a - e -b bb- f bb a resumeobject - a - e -b bb- f bb a displayorder - a - e -b bb- f bb a toolsdisplayorder b d - db - c -bf -c a d timeout Windows Boot Loader ------------------- identifier - a - e -b bb- f bb a device partition C path Windows system winload exe description Windows locale en-US loadoptions DDISABLE INTEGRITY CHECKS inherit efb bf- - db-a b - ee eff bd recoverysequence - a - e -b bb- f bb a recoveryenabled Yes testsigning Yes osdevice partition C systemroot Windows resumeobject - a - e -b bb- f bb a nx OptIn

A:"reboot and select proper boot device" weirdness

Mark the Win7 Partition or it's 100mb System Reserved (preferred) Partition Active then run Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times. Make sure Win7 HD is set first HD to boot in BIOS setup.

If this fails work through these steps for Troubleshooting Windows 7 Failure to Boot

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/238477-reboot-select-proper-boot-device-weirdness.html
Relevancy 117.8%

Hello All I booted my machine to find it present me with two things I Boot Proper "Reboot SSD Device" Select and - message never encounter It booted into ASUS Express Gate EG which I believe I disabled when I first built the machine several years ago Upon exiting EG it displays the main splash screen for my mobo It then displays text regarding my SSD that it's connected to Port S After that I get the quot Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key quot message I don't do anything out of the ordinary with my machine Web browsing Photo retouching using Photoshop Lightroom etc Some music iTunes SSD - "Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device" message Store only I don't play games Diablo III very seldomly or download anything other than music When SSD - "Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device" message in Setup I see - Both WD drives appear in Main screen SSD is quot Not Detected quot - CD-R DVD-R drive also appears in Main screen - System clock time date language all correct - Under Boot HDDs -- st Drive SATA WD TB -- nd Drive SATA WD GB -- rd Drive IDE INTEL SSD Why is this IDE - Boot Device Priority has changed SSD is no longer in there Options are now only removable device WD TB and CDROM - in that order Machine specs - ASUS P X D Premium motherboard - Intel Core i- OC to Ghz - GB RAM - Intel GB SSD SATA III - WD Caviar Black GB Data drive - WD Caviar Black TB Backup drive - no updated backup for quite a while - EVGA GTX SC It looks like my BIOS may have reset itself How Looks like my machine is actually at stock CPU and DRAM frequencies Any thoughts about the boot drive issue And time permitting the potential BIOS reset Any help will be greatly appreciated Thank you

A:SSD - "Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device" message

I assume that the Windows 7 OS is on your SSD. Have you tried resetting the boot order so it is first boot & also I assume it was originally set to AHCI, so try resetting it back to that from IDE & see if that fixes the problem.
If not post back for more assistance.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/322956-ssd-reboot-select-proper-boot-device-message.html
Relevancy 117.8%

Okay so I've been having problems with this machine for the last couple months It started with going slow and lagging I chalked it up as Viruses but never got around to dealing with it Than a month ago I had the first big 'incident' where a glass bottle fell behind my desk and slammed into the back of the computer and it later wouldn't boot up blank screen etc This incident is noted here Computer won't boot up after getting hit in "Reboot device"/BIOHD-2 proper and select boot side by bottle "Reboot and select proper boot device"/BIOHD-2 - Internal Hardware What I found was removing one of the RAM sticks from a certain slot and the computer would work We figured the Motherboard was partially damaged at one of the connectors It would work but much much slower and with the occasional crash Than a week ago I started having this second problem The computer would have a black screen when turned on The solution I found was a firm fist slam to the tower It would then boot as normal This worked for the last two weeks Today after I had to reset because the internet wouldn't work I couldn't get it to turn on It shows the Compaq loading screen but then after a longer than normal time it shows quot Reboot and select proper boot device quot After doing the diagnostic it finds the error quot BIOHD- quot No amount of fist slams so far has bypassed this problem I have a Compaq Presario running Windows I have read that certain Seagate HD's were manufactured badly and they'd replace them Would mine qualify Barracuda EDIT There is NO Recovery disk The company decided I didn't need one apparently The recovery program on the HD doesn't work regardless last time this happened I had to use a Windows install disc

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-biohd-2-a-857313.html
Relevancy 117.18%

Hi guys

I want to start off by saying that I'm a total rookie when it comes to computers so I'd really appreciate if any help given would be very thourough and beginner adjusted!

I left my computer on while going to class and when I came back it had frozen and upon restarting all I got was the message: "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key".

I googled it and what I came upon was trying to go into BIOS (?) and try changing the boot order. I had CD as first to start with and tried to boot from floppy and harddrive but nothing has worked so far. I tried to insert the Vista CD as well but no solution there.

Any of you got other suggestions?

Thanks a lot!

Cindy

A:"Reboot and Select proper Boot device"

Should also add that I read about removing harddrives etc., just wanted to know if you need to be knowledgeable to do this or is it possible to do at home?

Would be nice to not have to hire professional help!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-505838.html
Relevancy 117.18%

I just got new SSD - Transcend 128GB. Installed Windows. When I cold boot my PC -- from a shut off state -- I get this message before Windows loads: "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key."

However, if I press Ctrl+Alt+Delete and reboot I come into Windows.

If I enter BIOS from cold boot, it does not detect my SSD. After rebooting it detects my SSD. Seems like the SSD is slow at firing up?

I have run chkdsk and memory test without any errors.

My motherboard is the MSI Z87-G55.

A:"Reboot and select proper boot device"

Just installed newest BIOS, it didn't help.

When I go into Board Explorer in BIOS it says SATA port 1 is empty. After reboot it says the same port is occupied by my SSD.

Update: Plugged in another hard drive (non-SSD). Same rules apply to it. On cold boot, none of the drives are detected. After reboot, both drives are detected. I used a non-SSD as system drive before this, worked perfectly.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device.200351/
Relevancy 117.18%

I've just put together my new gaming pc and when I turn on the computer to install windows, I get a message that says, "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected boot device and press a key". Does anyone know whats wrong? Any advice would help. Thank you!

A:"Reboot and Select proper Boot device"?

My PC recognizes both the Solid State Drive and the Optical drive.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-697029.html
Relevancy 117.18%

I keep getting this message on start-up. I don't what's happened. I just got a new monitor and was surfing YouTube when I decided to turn on my speakers. Seconds later my whole system turns off and I get this message, "Reboot and Select proper Boot device". What's going on?

Relevancy 117.18%

Help Just installed my st hard drive hooray right No so fast my techie friends For I am rookie and need some help My old Boot proper device or..." and "Reboot Select hard drive crashed took it to computer nerdz here "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or..." in Austin they handed me my old HD and disk of quot stuff quot they were able to recover I go to Fry s by a Seagate PATA G and bring it home and with the help of some online YouTube guides install it Plug everything in power up and quot Reboot and Select "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or..." proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or..." key quot One site stated my quot jumper quot may be in the wrong place I moved it from quot Cable Select quot to quot Master quot but still get the same message I unplugged everything and started over making sure I was plugging it all in correctly to the best of my limited knowledge and am reasonably certain all is correct Replace the cover plug in and same message What do I need to do from here This is a desktop primarily used for email and pictures videos of my children HP pavilion a n sad I know budgets about years old GHz MB SDRAM Windows XP I m sure I m missing other info but any help would be greatly appreciated nbsp

A:"Reboot and Select proper Boot device or..."

Well, to put it simply, there's nothing on the disk.
When you buy a fresh new hard drive, the drive is empty and unformatted. You can't put a brand new hard drive into a computer and expect it to boot into the OS right away.
It doesn't boot into Windows because there is no Windows OS on the drive.

You need to go into the BIOS and set your optical drive to be first on the boot priority, and then find a Windows XP disc to boot on.
I doubt your OEM computer comes with a Windows disc (though it might come with recovery discs), but it should have a sticker on it with your Windows XP product key. You need to find a disc and install your operating system before you can use your computer.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-or.96065/
Relevancy 117.18%

First of all I Select & Boot Device" "Reboot Proper am almost too embarrassed to post this I feel like a total ninkompoop Background A few days ago I thought my new Seasonic Gold had gone bad Tested all the leads and the motherboard power leads showed no or low power Well the problem was not the PSU but the modular connections had come loose from the power supply itself very very hard to see in the maze of wiring in my computers don't ask Well the result was like a light switch being switch on-off there was some partial bootup and then a crash Couldn't even get into the bios so I knew it was either a motherboard "Reboot & Select Proper Boot Device" or power problem - Duh OK after fixing the modular connection to the PSU the computer of course could boot and I got into the bios In the boot section I noticed that everything was scrambled hard drive order boot "Reboot & Select Proper Boot Device" order everything So I reset all pics attached Problem Upon bootup although the boot devices are CD DVD optical and then the "Reboot & Select Proper Boot Device" GB SSD I continue to get the error message quot Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device quot My conclusion The OS kernel and boot loader were corrupted - again a big Duh Tried Put Win Ultimate bit setup disk in and did quot system repair quot after which the computer will successfully come up into Windows - if and only if the setup disk remains in the optical drive Same if I do system restore Rant One of the things that has always annoyed me with Windows is the SATA connections come up all willy-nilly in Computer Disk Management - basically to hell with order we will call your SATA connections what we want to Note I have SSD's - is GB for OS and important programs and is GB for less important programs I had intended to put SSD Gb on SATA and Gb on SATA but is actually on SATA This was not a problem before I had the on-off switching of the PSU due to the bad modular connection which I believe corrupted my OS Question How to Fix It Footnote Please feel free to tell me what a raving idiot I am I don't mind being publicly humiliated I just wanna learn

A:"Reboot & Select Proper Boot Device"

First, the port # for your second SSD won't make any difference except possibly in performance. I believe on your board, #2 is a sata III port and Port 3 is a sata II port. Was your sata configuration in bios AHCI mode before and is it now? After the problem with your PSU, did you set optimized defaults, then set your ram timings, speed and voltage? If all of that is correct, put in the repair disk or the Installation disk and run startup repair. You will have to run it at least 3 times with starup attempts in between each try. If you still have the first boot device as your CD/DVD you'll need to bypass that on your attempted startups, between startup repairs. ie. We want it to try to start up from the SSD not the DVD.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/278062-reboot-select-proper-boot-device.html
Relevancy 117.18%

Good afternoon A couple of days ago I tried to plug an external hard drive WD passport in my PC to put some stuff in it but I couldn t find it in My Computer though my PC detected it So I went looking for solutions on the web and I heard about a recovery tool whose name I forgot After boot a proper device" "Reboot or select using it I have been asked to reboot the computer which I have done and since then "Reboot or select a proper boot device" I was unable to boot the computer I get the error message quot Reboot or select a proper boot device quot so I assume I messed up with the recovery tool and instead of choosing "Reboot or select a proper boot device" my external HD I chose my main HD I tried using Disk Recovery and Partition Recovery with Ultimate Boot CD I booted it via USB but I got rewarded with another error message when I try to boot my computer this time quot Loading DRMK v quot Just in case you might find it useful I have partitions on my disk - An unnamed mb partition file system FAT type Primary status Active amp Boot nbsp - A RECOVERY GB partition file system NTFS type Primary "Reboot or select a proper boot device" status None nbsp - An OS GB partition file system NTFS type Primary status System nbsp - A Local disk GB partition file system NTFS type Logical status None PS I have a Dell desk computer with Windows which I got by upgrading from Windows when I got the notification so I don t have its reinstallation CD not do I have the windows one I am currently running a full scan with Partition Recovery Wizard and so far it found many NTFS BOOT deleted partitions Thank you for your time and for your answers

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19980901
Relevancy 117.18%

I've had my computer for a while and have upgraded almost everything except the harddrive about six months ago. Today I was playing a computer game all of the sudden the game started lagging. This was not internet lag, but I'm pretty sure it was hard drive lag. It started freezing for first three seconds then five seconds and progressively more and more until it was frozen for longer than I felt like waiting. I shut my computer off and attempted to reboot.

After I booted up, (right after the BIOS), I got the error "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key". I've tried researching this on the internet for about an hour and it doesn't seem like there are any easy/concrete solutions to this complex problem...

I'm really not sure what to do...any suggestions/help would be appreciated.

A:"Reboot and Select proper Boot device..."

I am having the same problem. I have a Averatec 3200 series and I do not have the disk. I have many valuables that must be recovered. does anyone have any suggestions??
Boot order:
HDD: IC25N040ATMR04-0
CD/DVD: Slimtype Combo SOSC-2483K
BBS-0: Intel UnDI, PXE 2.0 (build 082)
I need it operational or the files by tomorrow.
thanks

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-221083.html
Relevancy 117.18%

Just today I moved my computer to another house 30 minutes away and when I set it up I made sure to run it with everything plugged in like normal. It ran just fine for a good 40 minutes and then I turned it off. After getting off of work I arrived and tried to turn my computer on again and received the "Reboot and select proper boot device" message. I've been sitting here trying to fix this for a good hour and I can't for the life of me figure out what has happened. I've checked cords and cables and checked my bios. Everything I've seen looks normal outside of the abnormal boot up.

My operating system is Windows 10.

Relevancy 117.18%

Hey guys I shut my computer down two nights ago and when I started it back up I'm getting the reboot and select proper boot device or insert media message I have cruised through numerous forum topics that addressed this however none of the solutions has solved my problem What I have currently attempted Switch out the boot options on the bios Tried booting proper and select device....", boot "Reboot in legacy only "Reboot and select proper boot device....", Used the windows installation disk repair Tried the bootrec on cmd prompt Reset my bios by removing the CMOS battery and a few others that I just can't remember after eight hours of trying A few questions that I have are Is this a motherboard problem if it performing the POST Is it a hard drive problem Some of the options I tried I gained limited sight of my windows files and they are all there but could it still be a hard "Reboot and select proper boot device....", drive problem Could the boot files be corrupt When I tried the self repair it diagnosed and attempted to fix but cut to the screen that said it couldn't repair and gave me a blank log file I'm pretty much at a loss right now I don't have extensive computer knowledge but can follow directions and navigated what made sense to me My "Reboot and select proper boot device....", motherboard is a Gigabyte GA- A-DS P Any help or a push in any direction would be helpful thanks

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/63347-reboot-select-proper-boot-device.html
Relevancy 117.18%

When I log into my pc it says "reboot and select proper boot device" I have no clue what that means and how to fix help please

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4997/t/19683009
Relevancy 117.18%

I've bought my computer from Ibuypower about 3 months ago and everything was great! Now for the last couple of weeks, every 4-5 days or so I'll be on my computer just putting around and my screen will go black then this message comes up "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media"
At which point I restart my computer and everything is fine for about another 4-5 days, then it repeats. I've read a lot of tips about going into your BIOS and making sure that things are loading in the right order, which they are. My computer has no problem turning on and restarting whenever I want it to. Just dont know why this randomly shows up every few days.

Any ideas?

A:"Reboot and select proper boot device"?

I would Check the hard drive with the manufacturer's diagnostic tools.
Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp.
HD Diagnostic

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/201932-reboot-select-proper-boot-device.html
Relevancy 116.87%

Hi,

I just recently had a problem with my main hard drive which had a capacity of 20gb and so i decided to take it out and leave my second hard drive ( which was 160GB) in the system. But now i have the problem where the computer asks me to "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key" after 30 seconds of turning on my computer.
What do i do here?
I am completely lost.
Please help.

A:"Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device"

Hello Vinroy

You have removed the "Master" drive which XP booted to.
Now you will have to make the 2nd drive into the "Master"

Connect this 2nd drive using the connector which was used for the drive you removed.
Then change the jumpers on the drive to master.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-or-insert-boot-media-in-selected-boot-device-352436.html
Relevancy 116.87%

Hi,
I have had my computer since Christmas, It has been working fine. Then I went on this morning as normal as can be, everything was booting up and I opened steam but it said no connection. Then a blue screen appeared and said something like" search DHP watchdog violation" then the screen went black but displayed the text "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"
I have no idea what to do and I need help. I searched this on tech guy and I tried to boot it with my CD/DVD Drive off which is what I saw worked on another persons thread but to no avail. Please help, also I use windows 8.

A:"Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device.."

The "DHP watchdog violation" could be caused by any number of things, typically within the OS. Which is a non-issue now since the PC won't boot.

What error do you get now when you try to boot? If it's the same or similar to "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key", then it sounds like the HDD (which is the primary boot device) cannot be found. Which typically indicates a HDD failure, but could also be just a loose/faulty data or power cable.

Enter the BIOS and verify if HDD is recognized properly, and if so, verify the boot order.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-or-insert-boot-media-in-selected-boot-device.1103927/
Relevancy 116.87%

I was backing up my hard-drive when, zapppowwww, the computer shut off..... when I turned it back on, I get only the manufacturers logo screen (pre-boot) .... eventually it goes to black with the phrase :

"Reboot and Select proper Boot Device or insert Boot Media in selected Boot Device."

Have I lost my Hard drive at the critical moment during backup?? :-( Please help!

A:Randomly: "Reboot and Select proper Boot Device or insert Boot Media in selected.."

Yes it sounds like your C drive has developed problems

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/randomly-reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-or-insert-boot-media-in-selected.136148/
Relevancy 116.25%

This is my first ever post here on this forum so sorry if my info is less than you need So the problem is that every time i reboot my computer i get quot reboot and select proper boot device Or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key quot on the screen I have been in the bios and check that the boot order is correct and it is but sometimes my HDD comes up as quot quot device Usually it helps to reboot the device many times and or reinsert the SATA cables but I wish i did not have to open my case every morning to fix the issues But once it has booted into windows I have no problems until the next reboot I am an IT student on the final year so my experience tells me every reboot "reboot select device" and proper on boot that there is a problem with the SATA cable or boot block of Bios but I would love to get someone else's opinion --TP

A:"reboot and select proper boot device" on every reboot

Hi and welcome to SevenForums,
Just how many other internal drives is there in this machine ?
Troubleshooting Windows 7 Failure to Boot

I'd say a new cable would be the cheapest route to take first
Disconnect any additional internal drives.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/378547-reboot-select-proper-boot-device-every-reboot.html
Relevancy 116.25%

Hi all First timer please help My buddy and I tried building a new computer from scratch with the following OCZ AGT - SAT "Reboot select SSD reboot: proper and won't boot device" - G Agility quot GB SATA GB s Solid State Drive Kingston KHX C D B K GX GB Kit X GB MHz DDR PIN DIMM Unbuff Hmp HyperX CL Antec Neo Eco C Power Supply ATX V Active SSD won't reboot: "Reboot and select proper boot device" PFC PLUS MM Fan MSI Radeon HD OC Twin Frozr III MHZ GB GHZ GDDR DVI HDMI x Mini-DP PCI-E Video Card MSI H A-G ATX LGA H DDR PCI-E PCI-E PCI HDMI CrossFireX SATA USB Motherboard The only thing that is NOT NEW is HD Western Digital Caviar Black RPM GB drive that was sold by my buddy This is the sequence of events So there is no cd dvd burner so I used the Windows USB tool to install my BIOS for Windows Home Premium bits The installation screen doesn't show the SSD to install the Windows so I re-arrange the plugs in the SATA ports I and II so that SSD would be recognized Once I did that I installed Windows into SSD Everything is fine I change the boot sequence back to SSD But once I shut down I get a black screen quot reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media quot Once I restart and get into BIOS setup here's what I see As you can see on the quot Boot Option Priorities quot the SSD is not on the list I then go to quot Hard Disk Drive BBS Priorities quot and the SSD is listed as quot nd Boot quot I change SSD to quot st Boot quot But once I shut down again everything is reset and I get the black screen quot reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media quot again What's weird is that if I get the black screen but press quot Ctrl alt del quot it works I look at my computer management and the last picture is what I see I'd really appreciate some guidance Thanks

A:SSD won't reboot: "Reboot and select proper boot device"

I should mention that I have already tried system repair with and without the HDD plugged in. There were no errors, and nothing has changed.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/248925-ssd-wont-reboot-reboot-select-proper-boot-device.html
Relevancy 114.39%

The complete message is quot Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key on proper boot boot Message and "reboot select device..." quot System Asrock extreme gen z motherboard intel i k gb g skill ram TB WD harddrive GB crucial m ssd sapphire radeon hd Recently re-installed windows using Message on boot "reboot and select proper boot device..." a bootable usb as i have no optical drive installed drivers and some software Made SSD into a raid cache went to reboot computer after some windows updates and now i get the above message Bios sees the hard drives using the bootable usb for windows repair shows no installations of windows and the cmd doesn't show the hard drives Things i have tried Turned the SSD back into a normal drive Removed the SSD Entirely Used bootable usb for windows repair Used the CMD console from repair to try bootrec Re-installing windows entirely I found that windows repair doesn't recognize the windows installation on the HDD and also does not recognize the HDD itself On trying to re-install widows i was given no option to select a drive to install on and it would not continue Put linux mint on a flash drive It recognized the HDD but gave the error quot Unable to mount TB Volume - Adding read ACL for uid to media mint' failed Operation not supported quot

A:Message on boot "reboot and select proper boot device..."

Win7 doesn't much like RAID as we only see problems with it here. Is your mobo configured to run a SSD cache with RAID?

I would unplug all other HD's besides the SSD, reset BIOS to defaults, set SATA controller to AHCI, do a Clean Install Windows 7.

If it fails try wiping the HD first with Diskpart Clean Command and then define an Active partition as shown in Step 2 of SSD - HDD Optimize for Windows Reinstallation

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/290409-message-boot-reboot-select-proper-boot-device.html
Relevancy 112.84%

Hi all I just finished updating Windows Ultimate on my studio computer labeled studio in my systems if you wish to see all specs and when I went to reboot it it displayed the error message quot PLEASE REBOOT AND SELECT PROPER BOOT DEVICE quot So immediately I thought I must have the boot order wrong or the hard disc set to RAID or something Error: new "Please reboot select and media" build on proper boot What I ve done so far Tried to play with BIOS settings and SATA connections in every possible configuration - NO RESULT Tried to boot from Win disc in order to repair - got same message even when hard disc disconnected Took out one stick of RAM and tried both in both Error: "Please reboot and select proper boot media" on new build slots - NO RESULT Checked all cabling and recabled entire system from ground up - NO RESULT Swapped out motherboard with a completely different brand new motherboard the MSi GTM-E - NO RESULT Repeated steps - with new motherboard - NO RESULT Checked hard drive multiple times and even booted from it attached to my MAIN computer Error: "Please reboot and select proper boot media" on new build s motherboard - Hard drive totally operational no result for studio computer I need serious help on this one If anyone has any advice that I have not tried please please please help It is an older hard drive but has only been used with Win nbsp

A:Error: "Please reboot and select proper boot media" on new build

Did you try running "fixmbr" or "fixboot" from the repair console? Here's a M$ support page on that: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

Are you saying that updating from Windows Update trashed the install?

Or, the BIOS in most new boards comes set to run as IDE. Have you tried setting the HDD to "AHCH". (I think that would be called directly, "SATA" in an AMD based board).

Plan "B" always involves trying to boot from a Linux CD to attempt to access and copy your data files, before a drastic measure like zeroing out the drive

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/error-please-reboot-and-select-proper-boot-media-on-new-build.168941/
Relevancy 112.53%

HP Pavilion a1423w
Windows 7 32 bit
1024 MB Ram
At first my computer would only turn on with just the fan, on another forums it said to unplug all cables and hold the power button for 30 seconds, after I did that, I was presented with the message, "Reboot and select proper boot device" EVERY TIME! I was told to make sure ATA was enabled in the BIOS. it is. still same message, I tried to put a Windows 7 installation disc to see if I can enter command prompt and type "bootrec.exe /fixboot" I get a message, "the device is not ready"

please help me. I have mine and my sister's valuable information on this computer

A:will not boot. "Reboot and select proper boot device"

Hi there,

Hmmmmm.....it's possible that you might have a faulty hard drive. Do this, go to a working computer an download a good hard drive diagnostics utility called "SEATOOLS". Here is the link to the Seatools program: SeaTools | Seagate

Download Seatools and put the program onto a bootable device (e.g. CD). Boot the computer to the Seatools CD, follow the on-screen instructions, and scan your computer hard drive for any errors. Make sure you use both short and extended test.

Hope everything works out well and please provide an update when you can, thank you.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/will-not-boot-reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-956937.html
Relevancy 112.53%

Recently I took a look at my girlfriend's PC as explorer crashed each time it was booted even safe mode wouldn't work I opted to re-install the OS from scratch The only problem I had was that she needed some files backing up so I had no option but to plug her HDD into a spare SATA bay I have in my own PC GB of data needed to be saved I don't have an external HDD that big Anyhow I backed up the files to a HDD I have in my computer and then re-installed Windows on her HDD proper Select "Reboot boot and won't XP Boot device". in my own PC I then put her data back onto the HDD Everything worked fine in my PC I was able to boot into Windows XP no problem Please note I didn't install any drivers apart from any defaults the XP install detected and installed After putting the HDD with the assumedly fixed XP install and recovered data back into her PC I cannot get it to boot at XP won't boot "Reboot and Select proper Boot device". all I get the following error message Reboot XP won't boot "Reboot and Select proper Boot device". and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key I have tried the following and keep getting the same message Checked BIOS and set it to default Removed the system battery to hard reset BIOS Performed a full repair on the XP install using an XP CD Executed several commands in recovery console bootcfg fixboot and fixmbr Used chkdsk HDD appears to be fine Unlpugged everything checked connections etc I assumed it was some kind of driver issue from using my PC for the fresh install but as repair nukes the XP won't boot "Reboot and Select proper Boot device". Windows system files surely this is not the case Any ideas All help is highly appreciated pulling my hair out here Thanks

A:XP won't boot "Reboot and Select proper Boot device".

I would boot with the WinXP cd in her pc with her hard drive. Start WinXP setup, delete the partition on the hard drive and continue installing windows. (make sure you still have that backup!)
It is not a good idea to install Windows on a hard drive meant for another pc. Unless the computers are identical (especially the motherboards) otherwise there is a good chance you will have driver and performance issues.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/xp-wont-boot-reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-501187.html
Relevancy 110.67%

Hello I am in quite a dilemma with my current computer I have recently purchased a new computer chassis which I transferred all my components to with no new additions On startup I was being sent to the Marvell Adapter xx which I had never encountered when my components were in my original case The adapter was saying Virtual Drives None Detected Physical Drives Patriot Inferno SSD which already has windows installed on it Western Digital HDD It would then proceed to another black screen saying please select proper boot device etc etc I have since tried all the different SATA configurations IDE AHCI and RAID I tried all of these with the Marvell device" boot error proper select Startup "Please Adapter both on and off I have tried all of the modes with both drives Startup error "Please select proper boot device" in each combination possible SSD in Gb port HDD in Gb port SSD in Gb port HDD in Gb port SSD amp HDD in Gb port and the original SSD amp HDD in Gb port I have reset the CMOS in a hope that It may resolve the issue I have also pressed F boot menu and selected the SSD directly for startup considering it has windows installed on it Originally when the issue started I was able to enter the Marvell adapter and I created a virtual drive with both of my drives This still resulted in me being sent to the quot Please select proper boot device screen quot and so I deleted that virtual drive In conclusion I have run out of ideas and I am stumped as to what I should do as I have found similar scenarios in the forums but none quite as complex or exactly the same as mine The motherboard I am using is the Asus Sabertooth X I cannot get past the quot select proper boot device quot screen at all and If any has any clue as to why my computer is having a s t fit please pleassssse help me out Thanks so much for any replies Drew

A:Startup error "Please select proper boot device"

Hey again to anyone viewing the thread. I have found out what the issue / resolution was.

In the end I just booted with the windows 7 disk in the dvd drive which enabled me to get past the error and into system repair. The issue in the end was a corrupt MBR section in the 1TB HDD. The system repair removed the corruption and removed the partition.

After that I was able to start up my computer like usual but the HDD had lost its info. Luckily with the program "EASEUS partition recovery" I was able to retrieve the lost data that was originally on my drive as system repair only removed the data instead of deleting it.

Thanks to anyone that showed interest in my thread.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/242996-startup-error-please-select-proper-boot-device.html
Relevancy 110.67%

Usually when I see this error its the Power supply, or and bios issue. Anyone have any Ideas. I can actually boot to windows but the computer shuts down in about 20 min and give that error. I am use to seeing that when it will not start, but it starts and stays on for a bit but not long enough to save stuff. I even tried to reload it and it wouldn't let me. I am figuring its the hard drive. Any Ideas

"reboot and select proper boot device. Or insert boot media in selected boot device and press any key.

A:"reboot and select proper boot device. Or insert boot media in selected boot device

First of all, no one has any idea what we are attempting to diagnose. Post ALL of your exact system specs; ie exact mb, exact ram, exact video card, etc, etc. If this is a big box system, then post the exact brand and model# If you have a service tag# post that as well.

Note do not post "500W pw supply" Post the exact brand and model# Do that for all of your parts.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-or-insert-boot-media-in-selected-boot-device.1152357/
Relevancy 109.74%

Win Pro -bit SP system ASUS P X Boot device... Select Boot "Reboot and proper failure: PRO LGA Crucial SSDs began failing to boot after a system lockup while using Chrome System was current with all MS updates No response to Alt-Ctrl-Del or front panel reset switch Required a power-down Upon booting up after the preceding lockup normal BIOS initialization was followed by the message quot Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key quot and the system refused to boot into Windows Ultimately I used Paragon to restore a relatively recent disk image backup and things were essentially back to normal During a restart a few days later following AVG update the above boot failure occurred again This time image restore did not fix the problem The SSD was recognized by the BIOS and Paragon but could not be made bootable The above message appeared whenever Boot failure: "Reboot and Select proper Boot device... the system attempted to use it to boot up Previously created Windows Recovery CD turned out not to be bootable yes should've tested it after I created it and booting up with the original Windows install disc to repair the system produces a message that complains that the version on the disc is not compatible with the installation Replaced the GB OS SSD with a new unit and restored the above image Again things were essentially back to normal so at that point it looked like a bad SSD After several weeks today Windows Update failed quot Creating System Restore quot point failed to complete so I canceled gracefully and exited WU I rebooted after deleting a number of Restore Points created the day before these were RPs created by a series of Native Instrument update installs On restart the system failed to boot with the same message from above quot Reboot and Select quot Tried restoring the image again but the boot sequence went directly to Startup Repair which failed to repair the problem ultimately stating that ntoskernel exe is corrupted IIRC this can mean anything from an actually corrupted file to a missing MBR to bad media During the most recent attempt Startup Repair exited the system rebooted and I'm now getting the quot Reboot and Select quot message again UEFI boot sequence is Optical Drive quot UEFI quot Windows Boot Manager and quot P quot that last of which is actually one of my data drives and shouldn't have any boot sector etc Not sure why it's in the list as option I didn't do the original build So I'm wondering what the options are here specifically to identify what could be wrong I'd prefer to find a way to get my disk image back and ideally fix the problem permanently But if it sounds like a drive controller or mobo issue then I'll probably have to start looking at a new system The -year-old ASUS mobo would be -ish to replace and at this point that's more than I'd like to spend on a repair as opposed to a new system

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/400682-boot-failure-reboot-select-proper-boot-device.html
Relevancy 109.12%

I have a Win XP desktop which had problems with the hdd. The hdd and disk drive were connected to the same IDE bus(the motherboard only has one), the disk set as slave, the hdd as master. The computer worked fine except for errors with the hdd. I purchased a new hdd, and copied all contents of the old hard disk over using acronis migrate easy. In order to do this, I had to disconnect the disk drive, and connect the new hard drive in its place. The cloning process went smoothly and when I disconnected the old hard drive, I was able to boot into the new one. Everything worked fine, but when I connected the disk drive and rebooted, I got the error message:
"reboot and select proper boot device
or insert boot media in selected boot device"
How do I fix this?

A:Solved: "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot d

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-or-insert-boot-media-in-selected-boot-d.840679/
Relevancy 107.57%

Computer Specs CPU I - MB "NTLDR Boot now Device" missing" Proper is "Select Asus Pz Ram Corsair GB Vengeance LP Using on board VIdeo For now Maxtor "Select Proper Boot Device" now "NTLDR is missing" HD Sata WD Raptor Sata HP Lightscribe DVD-r Drive Sata Problem I was having once I completed my new build with old system parts was as listed in title It started out as select proper boot device and now it states ntldr is missing From what I have been reading it seems as if my partition with my windows install is not set active I do not have my windows DVD only my old vista DVD I tried to boot into it to make use of CMD and attempt to make my partition active but I was unsuccessful to even get into CMD I went into bios and forced booted from the drive with the OS and still same error also I attempted to disable the other sata and run the computer again with no success also Look forward to hearing from someone soon I will be sitting by my laptop all night until this computer gets running

A:"Select Proper Boot Device" now "NTLDR is missing"

Finally Got to command prompt but it shows my current drive listed as x: dunno if this will be relevant and helpful to anyone.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/228170-select-proper-boot-device-now-ntldr-missing.html
Relevancy 103.85%

I have a Toshiba Satellite L My hard drive crashed so I went and bought a new one I replaced it and once I did I started up the laptop and came to a black screen which states quot Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key quot I figured a new hard drive would involve a quot clean install quot so I inserted my Windows Home Premium OEM drive and select proper one, hard boot..." with new "Reboot Replaced -bit software DVD with the same black screen popping up I then went into the BiOS and switched the boot order so that the CD DVD drive would boot first but the same thing is popping up Would I need some sort of Toshiba Recovery CD instead of the Microsoft one for Replaced hard drive with new one, "Reboot and select proper boot..." this to work I should mention that prior to replacing the hard drive my brother wiped everything completely from the computer so maybe I'm answering my own Replaced hard drive with new one, "Reboot and select proper boot..." question about the Toshiba Recovery software Would just like a second opinion and to see if maybe I'm skipping a step or missing something to get this to work properly as it's a good laptop Replaced hard drive with new one, "Reboot and select proper boot..." and I really do not want to have to buy a new one

A:Replaced hard drive with new one, "Reboot and select proper boot..."

ISTR the Windows Installer pauses while still at the BIOS level and asks you to press a key to boot from the DVD. If you miss this, the PC will try to boot from the next device, and since the hard drive is blank, you would end up at the error screen you described. If you're not getting this Windows prompt, double-check the BIOS boot settings, and maybe try another bootable CD or DVD, and see if you can get it to work.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/329281-replaced-hard-drive-new-one-reboot-select-proper-boot.html
Relevancy 103.85%

Hi Alright so I screwed up big time I had Windows XP pre-installed C when I bought the computer nearly - years ago Then I dually installed Windows to a logical partition D booted and proper Removed "Reboot boot..." dual select XP, and then experimentally installed Windows Pro WMC G to the last partition which is currently the default I needed some space so I decided to remove Windows XP and like an idiot formatted the C partition with GParted Now I get the quot Reboot and select proper boot device or Removed dual booted XP, "Reboot and select proper boot..." insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key quot error I used Windows Repair disk tried attempting repairs with Windows Pro installation disk tried changing partition flags I don't even know what they are tried a warez disk but nothing works Even the Win installation disk doesn't show any operating system installed Also my HDD is set as first boot priority in BIOS Any help is appreciated I attached a screenshot of Removed dual booted XP, "Reboot and select proper boot..." my partitions from GParted Thanks in advance P S Although Removed dual booted XP, "Reboot and select proper boot..." it is named Windows Developer Preview the partition has Wndows Pro WMC in it

A:Removed dual booted XP, "Reboot and select proper boot..."

Windows 7 and Windows 8 is on a Logical Partition?
What partition is the windows xp is located(before deleted)?

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/17968-removed-dual-booted-xp-reboot-select-proper-boot.html
Relevancy 103.85%

Hello,
Just purchased and put in a new psu and gpu into my system, but when I boot up my computer I get a black screen saying "reboot and select proper boot device or insert....." Etc.
I use windows 7 but it came installed on my premade futureshop computer and I don't seem to have the cd. Can anyone help me out please?

A:Just upgraded psu and gpu, stuck on "reboot and select proper boot..."

Are you certain the hard drive is receiving power?

90% of the time after putting in a new psu problems are just because a wire or cable was overlooked.
HDD should have both a data cable and a power cable pluged into it.

That's an older image a newer drive would have a much smaller data cable but you get the general idea.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/256212-just-upgraded-psu-gpu-stuck-reboot-select-proper-boot.html
Relevancy 101.99%

I noticed the other day that my computer had crashed which is odd because it doesn't really crash or BSOD heh It boot then device" proper BSOD, [SOLVED] Freeze, "select was [SOLVED] Freeze, BSOD, then "select proper boot device" at a black screen that had the text quot Reboot and select proper boot device quot A reboot brings up the 'Safe mode Normal start' menu and I can get into Windows without issue Since then it BSOD's almost once an hour It starts with applications freezing like Chrome Spotify then the mouse stops responding then the taskbar disappears sometimes and the applications close quickly to reveal the desktop and then it BSOD's There's another thread started by [SOLVED] Freeze, BSOD, then "select proper boot device" alpha meqa that is eerily similar Event viewer only notes the kernel-power event shutdown from the crash The SeaTools tests passed without issue Chkdsk didn't find any problems The perfmon report doesn't seem to indicate anything that I can see WhoCrashed reveals this This was probably caused by the following module ntoskrnl exe nt x C Bugcheck code xF x xFFFFFA AFB xFFFFFA AFE xFFFFF Error CRITICAL OBJECT TERMINATION file path C Windows system ntoskrnl exe OS - Windows x What was original installed OS on system Win x Is the OS an OEM version came pre-installed on system or full retail version YOU purchased it from retailer OEM Age of system hardware years Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS years no CPU i k Video Card ASUS GTX MotherBoard ASUS P Z Deluxe Power Supply - Antec w Drive Crucial M gb SSD OS drive bought when built Drive Crucial M gb SSD applications drive purchased recently Drive Seagate tb HD System Manufacturer home build

A:[SOLVED] Freeze, BSOD, then "select proper boot device"

I found an older thread on here where the mod noted that some Crucial M4's have a known issue of BSOD'ing within an hour of boot time after X write time. I tried to update the firmware for my 2 SSD's but that failed, apparently because my mobo is UEFI enabled, per Crucial's website:

UEFI-based Systems: During validation of this firmware update we noticed instances where our update tools do not recognize the SSD with some systems using UEFI. The target device is not recognized as an updateable device during the reboot process. If this happens, the firmware update will not occur, and you?ll retain the firmware version you started with. Windows will then restart normally. If this sequence occurs, you cannot upgrade to this firmware version at this time, but you?ve done no harm to your system (or your data).

I uninstalled Daemon's tools which seems to be a common recommendation and I updated my video card drivers.

Update: I think the Crucial bug is the issue. It crashes every hour, nearly on the dot. Will see if I can get around the UEFI issue, or I will be angered

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/solved-freeze-bsod-then-select-proper-boot-device-704331.html
Relevancy 101.99%

Hey all I ve found a huge number of varied threads and websites that discuss similar issues to the one I m seeing but none of them match my symptoms exactly and none of the fixes I have tried boot "select Solved: proper mes followed gives device" 7 BSOD, then Windows by hangs, have fixed a thing Sorry for the excessively long write-up below but I m QA by trade and I m trying to include as much useful information as I can for the serious troubleshooters I ll write a short description of what s happening followed by some weird details I ve noticed that I hope will help provide some clues The issue occurs like this For roughly an hour or so of use my machine seems to have no problems at all At some seemingly random point that has no obvious trigger my Chrome browser tabs will stop loading pages and refreshing will also just loop Windows generally just stops working properly a this point If I mess around with Windows to open Task Manager or anything else I will eventually receive a Solved: Windows 7 hangs, followed by BSOD, then gives "select proper boot device" mes small window that s titled quot Microsoft Windows quot and reads quot This program is not responding quot and then it gives me the option to either wait for the program to respond or close it If I choose to wait I will eventually get a super-fast BSOD and the system will reboot itself When it comes back up it will give me a generic quot Reboot and select proper boot device quot message I will have to hard shutdown the machine boot it back up and select quot Run Windows Normally quot in order to get Windows up and running again Now for the hopefully-informative details I do not always get the program-not-responding message and this appears to be tied to how much of Windows I try to use once the Chrome tabs have started screwing up But regardless of whether I try to get some info out of Windows or just sit there patiently I still get the same rapid BSOD So whatever s causing the BSOD is affecting Windows ability to function it would seem since I can click too much and cause Windows to stop responding I ve only chosen quot close it quot to the program-not-responding message once and I don t exactly recall the outcome I think what happened if my memory serves is that Explorer disappeared along with my entire desktop I still had to hard shutdown The hardware reboot button on my mobo does nothing except continually return me to the quot Reboot and select proper boot device quot state Once I m there I am literally required to hard shutdown in order to get Windows up and running again Something really bizarre happened when the issue occurred while playing CIV I opened the saved-game GUI to obviously load a saved game and the entire directory tree was totally bizarre Instead of a list of all the folders where there might be save games there was a Windows-level directory tree that showed all my hard drives almost as if it no longer knew where my saved games were located But on closer inspection it also looked like my C drive was missing from the list so that made it seem almost like the game couldn t find the C drive anymore I m not on that since it only happened one time but I could definitely attempt to repro it The last detail seems like its importance is a bit of a stretch but I ll include it anyway just in case This whole problem started when I returned from a vacation and the machine had been powered down for a week-and-a-half When I first turned the machine on after returning the display wouldn t come up even though I could hear Windows boot up from my USB speakers I swapped out some HDMI cables to see if any of them went bad but ultimately I got the display back up by using a DVI VGA cable and ignoring the HDMI Again I think this is a totally separate issue but I m including just in case it does provide any clues Thank you very much in advance for any help This issue is horribly annoying and inconvenient and I m very worried about all these hard shutd... Read more

A:Solved: Windows 7 hangs, followed by BSOD, then gives "select proper boot device" mes

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-windows-7-hangs-followed-by-bsod-then-gives-select-proper-boot-device-mes.1072700/
Relevancy 100.44%

Okay so everytime I turn on my computer it loads and everytime it says Checking RVRAM is goes to a black screen with this sentence:

Reboot and select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key.

I don't know what it means and I tried pressing [DEL] from the startup screen to go to the system menu and Enabling something called 1st Boot and 2nd Boot.

And it's done this maybe two three times before. All I had to do then wass turn it off and then back on again.

Some help would be much appreciated, thanks!

-Carina(;

Relevancy 99.2%

Hi, my computer was working fine yesterday but after cleaning some dust inside my pc today I had this error popping up on the screen when I started my computer. I was using a fabric cloth to clean the dust. Also when I press F12 to get into BIOS I couldn't locate the hard drive. Any help is appreciated!

A:Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device Error

Make sure your hard drive is connected properly, because it sounds like your hard drive isn't connected properly.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/67916-reboot-select-proper-boot-device-error.html
Relevancy 99.2%

i have a asrock G M-S motherboard a month back my system often went to safe mode by itself and finally after trying reinstallation of operating system for several times the problem occured and finally it failed to boot and repair with os cd and technical people told the hard disc got corrupted since it could not be proper select boot error device and Reboot formatted and i replaced my hard disc after replacement presently when i on the system it restarts during the boot process itself and it reads quot REBOOT or select a proper boot device or insert Reboot and select proper boot device error a boot media Reboot and select proper boot device error quot when i go into BIOs settings and click IDE performance default then it boots and while im working if i restart it boots immediately but if Reboot and select proper boot device error i switch off and start after or minutes the same problem re appears i followed various threads and i tried many ways but still it persists and i have copied the error message in event viewer and i have pasted here please help me out with ur valuable suggestions Event Type Error Event Source crypt Event Category None Event ID Date Time PM User N A Computer HOME- B C E E Description Failed auto update retrieval of third-party root list sequence number from nbsp

A:Reboot and select proper boot device error

Did you format and install Windows on the new hard drive? Can you see the hard drive in the bios boot list?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-error.175694/
Relevancy 99.2%

Hello After transporting my desktop home from school error device proper Reboot boot select and for Christmas break upon startup I m getting an error message saying quot Reboot and select proper boot device etc quot I m sure most of you Reboot and select proper boot device error know about the message The odd thing about the message however is that I can see the hard drive in the BIOS and if I hit F before the error pops up I can manually boot from my main hard drive without any problem and everything works just fine Also in my BIOS I have the boot sequence set up correctly and I have tried other combinations as well Currently it s set to boot from my CD drive then my main hard drive I have no floppy installed Basically I m stumped as to what the problem could be I ve read that some people s hard drives need to warm up first and mess up like this from a cold boot but this isn t the case for me my computer will never boot up properly unless I hit F It s not a huge inconvenience obviously I m thankful my hard drive still works but I m wondering if maybe my hard drive is starting to fail on me and if I should get a new one asap The one I currently have isn t old probably a little more than a year which I find even more perplexing I appreciate any insight anyone can give on the matter Here are some system specs Asus K V-X SE motherboard AMD Athlon Processor Radeon x mb Master Drive- Western Digital gig Slave- Some other company gig CD Drive- Samsung DVD Rom gig of Kingston Ram nbsp

Have you tried setting the Main Drive as the ONLY bootable device?

Check all the cables & jumpers are firmly inserted

Make sure there's no CD in the drive

Run the WD Diagnostic to check the HDD isn't on it's way out.

http://support.wdc.com/download/

merry Christmas

Steve

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-error.95169/
Relevancy 99.2%

My hard disk crashed a week back and so i got it replaced but now when i try installing an OS i get the error "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key".
I have never had this problem before.

I've set proper boot device priority..my hdd and dvd rom both get detected in BIOS. I cant figure whats the problem?! Can anybody please help me?

A:Reboot and select proper boot device error.

Try resetting the CMOS: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixthe.../clearcmos.htm

What is the SATA controller setting? Try AHCI, then IDE if necessary.

Did the HD initialize upon install?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/88920-reboot-select-proper-boot-device-error.html
Relevancy 99.2%

quot Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key quot That's the error message I get when I start my computer I am running on a G M V series Micro-ATX motherboard with Gb DDR RAM Windows XP and a Seagate gb SATA hard drive I believe the problem is attributed to one of these I've had this computer for well over a year and never had this error before I haven't updated or installed any new hardware in the past few months Yesterday it was working fine today I get this message I already checked the setup and it is not detecting my hard drive I opened up and unplugged the HD and replugged it back in boot select error proper and Reboot device but get the same error One thing to note is that a couple months ago my DVD-RW drive completely burnt out it wouldn't read anything so I unplugged it completely from the system and I've been meaning to buy a new one but haven't had time yet What can I do to fix this error Is my HD the problem or something with the Boot sequence EDIT I believe as I've tried replugging my SATA HD several times and BIOS never detects it It does not appear anywhere in the BIOS setup as if it doesn't exist

check the HDD Cables.maybe its damaged
have you replugged it correctly

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-error-463882.html
Relevancy 99.2%

Last night my computer froze and gave me a BSOD and when I tried to simply restart it it would get to the windows splash screen and BSOD again Then after trying a few things to fix it its giving me the 'Reboot and select proper boot device etc' Ive checked command prompt and it is showing my HDD as the meg system partition that W makes when installing but I cannot access error boot and Reboot device select proper the rest of the drive Took the HDD out and to a mates place so I could get anything i needed off it before I just wiped the drive completely and his computer did the same thing after a few minutes From that I assume it was a virus of some sort and for me I can lose what I have on the HDD without caring too much however he has things not backed up on his HDD that he really needs to recover Has anyone had this problem and been able to recover the data somehow Reboot and select proper boot device error

Make this:

UBCD for Windows

you can boot into Windows on a CD and run virus scans and stuff. Also recover any data without worrying about the virus spreading any more.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/26263-reboot-select-proper-boot-device-error.html
Relevancy 98.27%

My computer was working fine until now. I also just ran a chkdsk from the win 7 cd recovery console and the drive worked fine so no problems there. I threw in some more RAM after which this error message began appearing, though I doubt this is the source of the problem. For some reason, the computer just cannot see or boot from the drive anymore. The BIOS sees it perfectly fine. I've ran through all the settings like the boot priority such. No success. Please, I desperately need help with this. This is my work computer and I'm supposed to be meeting with a client tomorrow. I need this problem resolved.

Kyle

A:Reboot and select proper boot device error after RAM change

Remove the RAM you installed and try booting into Windows.

Try System Restore to before the problem began, using Repair CD System Recovery Options.

If these fail, work through these troubleshooting steps

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/217206-reboot-select-proper-boot-device-error-after-ram-change.html
Relevancy 98.27%

Hey guys I know this 7 and boot Win device proper error select message reboot is a common problem but mine is quite specific Win 7 reboot and select proper boot device error message and I just cant loose the information on Win 7 reboot and select proper boot device error message my computer System spec Z NA-D C Intel Xeon Intel SSD GB Boot HDD x TB Samsung HDD in RAID yes they are striped Nvidia GeForce GTX GB Corsair RAM Fractal Design R Alright so OF COURSE this happened when I was making backups of my files and trying to connect an external eSATA drive So now I am sitting here with an empty back up drive and a computer that wont start HDD Setup My computer uses the SSD to boot from and has been working perfectly until today It also has the two other hard drives that I use for fast storage To enable the Raid setup I use LSI MegaRAID Configuration Utility This function starts during boot and checks after HDD s and makes sure they are online Problem short version So today I was setting up a new external HDD to backup my entire computer LaCie D Quadra After trying to configure the computer to recognize the drive through eSATA suddenly my computer did not want to boot Boot message quot Reboot and select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot Device quot I have tried booting from the Win DVD but the computer does not recognize that the SSD drive has an installation How do I force the computer to check for the installation Can I start in safe mode in any way Thanx for any help and sorry for the long long post Hyper Detailed description of the steps that created the problem I formated the new drive with NTSC using the usb cable and shut down the computer I then switched to the eSATA cable and started the computer The computer booted quite normally a bit slower and I set up the RAID utility to recognize the new HDD Everything seemed fine and my computer booted However in Win I couldn t see the new drive anyway So I rebooted and checked everything and started again Same thing Then I pulled the plug of the drive and rebooted with the usb plugged in again This time everything again seemed normal but just as the Win login screen was gonna appear the computer switched of I pulled out the usb of the new HDD Booted normally and came to a quot windows repair screen quot with the option to repair or boot normally I choose to repair and followed along Reboot and windows was running I inserted the new drive again using USB and wanted to copy all my files to the drive Seeing that this was gonna take hours I decided to try the eSATA again So I rebooted and inserted the drive via eSATA Thats when the error message started to show And now I cant start the computer in any way nbsp

A:Win 7 reboot and select proper boot device error message

So the computer will not boot with the external drive disconnected?

As a side note, the USB and eSATA cannot be connected at the same time. One or the other, but not both. The USB can be connected while the PC is up and running. The eSATA will likely, depending on the motherboard chipset, connected before the PC is powered on (and disconnected after it is powered off).

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/win-7-reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-error-message.1089684/
Relevancy 97.34%

I have recently built a gaming computer, I downloaded windows 7 and burnt JUST the ISO file onto a dvd-rw disc using windows explorer. Although when I boot PC I get the error message 'Reboot and select proper boot device or insert media into the selected boot device' I have checked and the dvd drive is the boot device in the BIOS. Any idea what could be causing this issue? I think I remember something on the BIOS about windows 8, which I found strange..

Any ideas?

A:Get 'Reboot & select proper boot device' error message when booting from win 7 DVD

Advise you should read the motherboard manual. If your motherboard is virtually new, you might have to surmount problems like secure boot, EUFI bios, and you may, for instance have to jump through hoops like 'go to Boot in BIOS and enable the option Launch CSM and sub option Launch PXE OpROM.' just to get the DVD drive bootable.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/get-reboot-select-proper-boot-device-error-message-when-booting-from-win-7-dvd.200086/
Relevancy 97.34%

Hello Everyone This is my first post here in regards to an issue with my Sony Vaio Laptop VGN-A model I have spent the past six hours searching for similar problems and device error proper boot VGN-A190: Vaio Reboot select but have not came close to a resolution I Vaio VGN-A190: Reboot and select proper boot device error hope that I can find my answer here Anyway here it goes Intel Pentium M GHz MB DDR SDRAM GB - rpm DVD RW - Integrated Windows XP Home Ownership years Laptop began having issues with spontaneous reboots and Vaio VGN-A190: Reboot and select proper boot device error shutdowns at first I assumed that the system was overheating soon after windows was no longer Vaio VGN-A190: Reboot and select proper boot device error able to boot and I was presented with quot Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press any key quot At or around this time I noticed a very distinct pattern of quot clicks and scrapes quot Surely that must be the hard drive that has failed I went ahead and replaced the hard drive with a WD BEVE GB RPM ATA I had nothing to lose on the original GB and justified the repair further with a larger hdd along the way I was prepared for formatting and a fresh installation of Windows XP using the System Recovery Discs However I was still seeing the quot Reboot and select proper boot device quot screen again The quot clicks and scrapes quot sound did go away though - gt I have gone into BIOS to see what was going on with this whole drive issue and noticed that it was not detecting any of my drives which explained the error and issues with reading the CDROM the entire quot boot quot tab is blank as well I tried to search for further info on this version of BIOS AMI R F but have not found much I did come across alot of forums stating that perhaps BIOS would need to be flashed but how can flash if it does not even read any drives Don t know if it matters but it is still able to read memory at least I went over the simple solutions that Sony provides ifor BIOS in re-setting the date and time restore defaults save and quit but still no boot I don t see any other options that I can quot tinker quot with and feel that I have hit a brick wall with this one First I thought it was the hard drive then BIOS and now I am thinking that it may be the mobo but I am uncertain Sending it off to Sony is out of the question for the time being due to their high priced repairs If anyone can offer any help or ideas I would greatly appreciate it I am not ready to scrap this system just yet Thank you nbsp

A:Vaio VGN-A190: Reboot and select proper boot device error

Found this at another site:

Recheck the jumper on the HDD and make sure it is configured right.
Also check the BIOS setting for LBA Enabled on the HDD.

Check to see if there is a legacy controller option enabled in the BIOS. Disable it and then try booting up.

3 more options:

1) Boot sequence is performed through a ROM memory module...as such there may be an issue with the memory not releasing and locking up the system...remove all power systems and batteries to reset the BIOS and ROM memory modules.

2) You could have a faulty power supply and is keeping it from booting properly

3) Faulty mobo

Both 2 and 3 are possible even if it does accept a BIOS update.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/vaio-vgn-a190-reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-error.110368/
Relevancy 96.41%

I just put windows 7 on my computer not to long ago and all of the sudden I get this error message when i turn on my pavilion p6142p desktop computer "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press any key" I have tried tightening my cords and checking them, cleaning them and everything but nothing seems to work and all the other forums say to go into the bios and change the boot order and what not but i can only get the computer screen to turn on and bring up the error 1 time out of every 400 tries and all the other times the monitor doesn't even recognize the computer but it is on. so what can i do to fix this? Oh and i don't have any sort of win 7 install disk to go with the computer it broke...

A:'Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media' error

Hi Helpme123

Click on the link below to download a legit Windows 7 disc and run the Startup repair

Windows 7 Direct Download Links

Note
To install Windows 7 from the link above you would need to have a legit Product Key . If the HP came with Windows 7 you may use the Product Key on the side of the desktop .

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/283284-reboot-select-proper-boot-device-insert-boot-media-error.html
Relevancy 96.1%

I have windows installed on a Western digital HDD and wanted help proper Boot not (Weird error Select issue, device Reboot please and typical) to do a fresh install on an SSD So I connected my SSD and did a new usb win install on it by booting into usb and then selecting Reboot and Select proper Boot device error (Weird issue, not typical) please help the SSD during the install So everything worked fine and I was able to use the OS and can confirm it was on the SSD However when I set the boot order to make the SSD first and I reboot I get the Reboot and Select proper Boot device error So when I put my HDD first again it boots into windows but then gives me an option to boot into the SSD or HDD they say volume or volume something like that I choose the SSD and it goes in and works fine Why am I getting that error Reboot and Select proper Boot device error (Weird issue, not typical) please help if the OS Does work by booting into the windows OS selection option TL DR I can boot into my SSD win fresh install ONLY if I select the HDD first and use the select OS volume Reboot and Select proper Boot device error (Weird issue, not typical) please help option nbsp

A:Reboot and Select proper Boot device error (Weird issue, not typical) please help

When you installed it on the SSD, Windows installed the boot loader portion on the primary hard drive. (In this case the Western Digital hard drive.) If you want to be able to boot directly to the SSD, you will have to make the SSD the primary drive and disconnect the hard drive. Otherwise, you will have to leave the hard drive as the primary drive since that is the boot drive.

https://hardforum.com/threads/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-error-weird-issue-not-typical-please-help.1906551/
Relevancy 96.1%

I have had my laptop for about a year with minimal problems but it froze today and when I try to turn it on I get stuck at this screen saying, ' Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key'.

I can get to the BIOS screen but I am not great with computers so I would like some help trying to sort it. I do not have the Windows disks but luckily I saved the ISO versions saved on my D drive using ASUS AI Recovery a few days ago but obviously cannot access them at the moment.

Please help

A:Reboot and Select proper Boot Device error- ASUS N55SF Laptop

Can you go to the boot tab in the BIOS and please post a picture of it so we can see what boot order your devices are in?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/336368-reboot-select-proper-boot-device-error-asus-n55sf-laptop.html
Relevancy 96.1%

I'v have just bought a Dell Inspiron N from car boot sale This laptop turns on but will not message insert boot at and boot... Error Boot device or proper Reboot up: Select get past the screen shown in the photo Hard drive has been removed all other parts are still in place The guy who sold this laptop had the hard drive removed Specs Intel Core i Processor unsure of exact speed or generation because unable to access desktop due to error GB RAM Screen HDMI USB Ethernet ports and SD card reader Questions What does this error mean Reboot and Select proper Boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press any key I want to install a TB hard drive Error message at boot up: Reboot and Select proper Boot device or insert boot... If yes which Western Digital hard drive should I go for Curently it has GB RAM installed Want to install GB RAM to optimise performance please tell me which make brand should I go for I also have a Dell recovery operating system windows home premium from another Dell Laptop Will this Dell Error message at boot up: Reboot and Select proper Boot device or insert boot... recovery opertaing system work and install Windows using the key located underneath the laptop near the battery area of the Dell Inspiron N Thanks in advance

A:Error message at boot up: Reboot and Select proper Boot device or insert boot...

The first thing you are going to need to do is to purchase and install a hdd.

Newegg has a Western Digital 1TB hdd for $69.99 plus tax and shipping. 

You will then need to install Windows Home Premium 64-bit.  You can download a ISO image of your operating system here.

You will need to burn the ISO image to a DVD to create a bootable installation disc.  

How to burn ISO image using Windows Burn Disk Image.

Notice:  This applies only to Windows 7 and Windows 8, earlier versions do not have this.  

1.  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

3.  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

4.  In the image below you will see Disk burner:, this should be set to the optical drive you want to use.  Click on Verify disc after burning if you want to Windows to verity the disc image after burn.  Click on burn.

5.  In the image below you can see that the green progress bar, when the image is finished burning the bar will be filled.

6.  After the image has completed being burned click on Close.

If you need a tutorial for installing the operating system, ask me and I'll help with that.

After you have installed the operating system you will need to download and install the drivers.  You can download these at Product Support, Dell US.  When the site opens you will need to choose your operating system (MS Windows 7 64-bit), the drivers download list will fill below.

As for RAM.  I have a personal preference for Crucial.  They have a 8GB kit (4GB x 2) for $83.99 plus tax and shipping.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/550793/error-message-at-boot-up-reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-or-insert-boot/
Relevancy 96.1%

I have an old Dell Pentium desktop that runs Windows XP Pro that has kept chugging along for the most part until recently I did at one point re-format and re-partition the hard drive We have never installed anything hardware to the pc after market We just came back from vacation and the computer will no longer boot up - it may have been in sleep or hibernate mode when we left - I can not be sure that it was shutdown and likely not since the printer is attached to this computer but metworked for all others When I try to re-boot the computerthe Dell logo comes up and thenI receive an error Reboot and Select proper Boot deviceor Insert Boot Media in slected Boot deviceEarlier I also tried to re-boot using an Ubuntu and Select Boot error boot proper pc/ Cannot device Reboot disk without success I finally found the re-installation for this computer and when I reboot from the Windows cd I get the option for set up or repair For either selection I get an error Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer Setup cannot continue If I reboot again using F and go into Setup and this is where it ALL looks Greek to me I have tab options - Main Advanced Security Power Boot and Exit Everything looks normal to me on the Main page - except Memory Bank is Not Installed On Advanced I have all the different configurations under IDE configuration - IDE Cntroller is set to BOTHPCI IDE Bus Master is EnabledPrimary IDE Master amp Slave - both Not Detected - I suspect from Googling - herein lies Cannot boot pc/ Reboot and Select proper Boot device error my problem Secondary IDE Master LITE-ON LTR- MSecondary IDE Slave Not DetectedSo am I done-for here Any responses need to be in simple layman s English thanks

A:Cannot boot pc/ Reboot and Select proper Boot device error

How old is this PC, and can you try the hard drive in another computer to see if its detected. I have had issues like this, and the cause was a bad cable. I went ahead and replaced it with a new one, and low and behold it detected the drive and booted up.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/411817/cannot-boot-pc-reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-error/
Relevancy 95.79%

Hi

Just after some possible ideas please

Basically I have an Ooverclocked system , and recently I have upgraded the ram from 6-12gig. All well and good, using the new bios settings provided which focus on the processor and the memory, I can no longer boot into windows, the following EM is provided

"Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device". After some browsing this seems to be related to HDDs not being recognised etc. I have checked the boot up order and it is the same, I Can also boot into Windows on the old profile and it picks up 12gig of memory on the old settings.

I know its a bit vague but i guess my question is, why would this EM be produced when only processor or memory settings were changed?

Any help is appreciated :

Specs

asus rampage iii black edition
12 Gig 2000 ram
windows 64bit

A:Install of new ram, now error message of"Reboot and select proper ...

After comparing some settings, it appears when loading with the OC settings the HDD is not being picked up.

Havent changed any settings with regards to the HDD, so not sure why it wont pick up the HDD. Hmm

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/230562-install-new-ram-now-error-message-reboot-select-proper.html
Relevancy 95.48%

Hello, I am currently building my first computer and the message appears when I try to install Windows 7 64bit Home Premium.

"reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key"

I have set my DVD drive as 1st in the boot order. I have checked that it is IDE. It is plugged into a SATA 3 cable into my motherboard.

MoBo: MSI P67A-GD65 B3
DVD drive: LG 22x DVD-RW SATA GH22NS70

Is there something wrong with the DVD drive and I have to replace it or is it my cabling?

A:Trouble installing W7 64bit HP, message "reboot and select proper boot

Quote:
I have set my DVD drive as 1st in the boot order. I have checked that it is IDE.
DVD drive: LG 22x DVD-RW SATA GH22NS70

Can not be both.

Quote:
It is plugged into a SATA 3 cable into my motherboard.

Use a SATA 2 port.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/186684-trouble-installing-w7-64bit-hp-message-reboot-select-proper-boot.html
Relevancy 95.17%

Hi, I've encountered this error upon restarting my computer because when I accessed it this morning the screen was frozen on my screensaver and I couldn't get out of it.

I've tried using my recovery disc to use Startup Repair but my partition seems to be missing and when i use bootsect to look at my disk volumes it is also missing in there. When I try to restore my computer using a Windows 7 install DVD it only shows my "Backup" partition. I've also tried reordering the boot order in the BIOS.

A:"Reboot and Select boot device or insert boot media"

It would appear that your hard drive is having problems. First of all, do you have a current backup of anything important on the drive?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/reboot-and-select-boot-device-or-insert-boot-media.1082459/
Relevancy 93%

Ok I have googled this error and see this is common Hopefully I have missed something simple I replaced my hard drive and installed the complete version of Windows Home Premium All worked great till the next day when I turned select boot insert or media and bo proper device reboot boot select in the PC back on I get the error message reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in select boot device If I restart and hold F and go in Bios exiting with or without changes will allow the PC to boot into windows however once I power down and restart reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in select bo I get the same error message I have tried booting with the Window disk perform repair and even reloaded the entire reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in select bo OS again Same issue I arrange the boot order found that windows recognized my hard drive etc all the things listed as possible fixes for this error Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated The new hard drive is a sata tb reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in select bo It replaced the maxtor diamond gig Very frustrated here and it doesn't help that I have limted PC knowledge beyond what I have tried

A:reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in select bo

Check all the cables.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/172519-reboot-select-proper-boot-device-insert-boot-media-select-bo.html
Relevancy 91.14%

Hi There I am having a problem starting my PC I have to start it in the boot menu under the RAID option If I do not do this a message saying quot Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key quot comes up and just keeps popping up regardless of what I press I would try using my boot disk but for the life of me I can t find it and as windows was already installed on this computer when we got it year ago I can t accurately recall if it came with one I am no expert on BIOS but I have read other problems similar to this one Reboot or an and selected boot press device boot device in key... a media insert select proper boot and know that if I don t have the Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device an press a key... boot disk or the OS disk I will need to know that at least So my boot sequence is as follows Boot Hard drive Boot CD DVD PM-ATAPI DV Boot USB Generic-Compa Boot Lan I am curious if the Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device an press a key... Hard Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device an press a key... drive is the issue The BIOS tells me that anything in parentheses is disabled from corresponding type menu But I truly have no idea how to change that Which brings me here If anyone can offer any help to this I would greatly appreciate it

A:Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device an press a key...

HiYou will have to give a little more information.What is the make and model of the computer?If it isn't a brand name what make and model of the motherboard.Or you can post a Speccy that will give that information.[ Go to Piriform's website, and click the big button.

Next, click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version.

You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.
After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.
Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):
Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot

You will see the following prompt:
Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Congrats! You have just posted your specs!With this information Someone will be able to help youThanksRoger

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/477080/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-or-insert-boot-media-in-selected-boot-device-an-press-a-key/
Relevancy 90.83%

My computer completely locked up while playing a game and I had to do a hard reboot. Now I continuously get the error:

"Reboot and select proper Boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key"

The only thing I can manage to pull up is the CMOS Setup Utility. Looking through the menu I found the Boot sequence menu; however, the only device listed is cd/dvd and I read that hard drive should be listed.

Any ideas on a possible problem?

I am thinking that my hard drive might be shot because I am almost positive it is not due to loose cables. On the other hand I was thinking that it could possibly be due to a virus because I had found a Trojan earlier with my virus scanner.

Appreciate any feedback I can get.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-bios-not-listing-hard-drive-as-boot-device.156884/
Relevancy 90.52%

Hello,
was now searching hours for solving this problem but nothing was really helpful. So i give it a try. If it is the wrong section, someone please move it to the right one.

While i was browsing yesterday, my computer froze with the sound still running. Couldn't open the Task Manager so i hit the reset button. After that the computer wasn't starting like it should. After a while i got the error ""Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key..."
System:

MB: Foxconn A7DA-S 3.0
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 945
GPU: ATI Radeon HD4870
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint 500GB

Hope someone can help me.

A:Error "Insert proper boot device"

Hi Kevx4.
Welcome to Sevenforums

Start first with refitting HDD data cable and power cable connection to rule out any physical connection problem first.
When start, check with the BIOS, see if the HDD is there.

Return to us then.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/214860-error-insert-proper-boot-device.html
Relevancy 90.52%

Today I proper device... Reboot boot select and was browsing on Firefox when Reboot and select proper boot device... suddenly the computer freezes I get a sudden and fast blue screen error message and then the computer restarts When it restarts I get a black screen with the message quot reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key quot I turned of the computer on the button and started it and it booted windows as normal and I resumed what I was doing later it happened again this time when I was watching TV the computer was on and it rebooted I have tried to go to the BIOS and set the boot order and it detects the hardrive normally when I turn it on but right after it crashes and tries to reboot when I go to the BIOS it doesn t show up there I have also run temperature tests with RealTemp ant it shows the temperature is C C My computer specs are Windows Vista Ultimate bits Gigs Ram ASUS P K-E WI-FI Motherboard Intel Core Duo GHz overclocked NVidia Geforce GTX Gigs harddrive I think this may be related to my harddrive and I m clueless as to what to do I don t want to lose the info I have on the harddrive and I wanted to ask you what I should do Any help is appreciated as I m a tech newbie nbsp

Relevancy 90.52%

I have a problem with my office pc It has a pentium ghz processor mb ram gig Device And Select Boot Reboot Proper seagate barracuda hard drive running Windows XP pro ver Reboot And Select Proper Boot Device with sp When I leave the office at night I log out and leave the computer on the windows log in screen Last week when I came back in the morning the screen was black and it had the error message quot Reboot and select proper boot device or insert the boot media in selected boot device quot When I tried to warm boot it with ctrl-alt-delete the computer rebooted and went right back to that error message When I press the reset button on the case the computer reboots and loads windows fine This has happened every morning this past week It always starts up fine after using the reset button and seems to operate normally all day I only got that error message one time during the day when I returned to the computer after a minute meeting I have tried playing with the power settings standby and hibernate are both set to never I checked the bios settings and the hard drive is set to boot first then the cdrom and floppy I reseated the sata cable and the power cable on the motherboard and hard drive I downloaded seatools to run diagnostics on the hard drive and it passed all of the tests I don t know what to try next Any help is greatly appreciated

A:Reboot And Select Proper Boot Device

Are you using a screensaver? Try turning that off and see if that helps

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/152285/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device/
Relevancy 90.52%

When I awoke this morning, I had this error message "reboot and select proper boot device". I don't know what caused it. I've read some of the forum messages, but haven't found a solution to my particular problem.

I'm running Vista 64 on an HP Elite 9120y. The computer is just over a year old. I had not installed anything new in the last few days.

I thought the hard drive had gone bad, so I purchased a new one and installed it, but I still get the same error message. I've tried changing various items in the boot sequence order, but that hasn't helped. I'm at a loss as to what to do next.

I do have an external drive plugged into a USB port, but hasn't been plugged in since I installed the new hard drive.

I have recovery disks, but not a boot disk.

Can anyone help me? Thanks so much!

A:reboot and select proper boot device

It seems that the bios is not recognizing your HD. Create a recovery DVD. Boot from it and try to get to System Recovery options. If you can get to system restore, go back to a point about a week before the problem began. If that is not the answer just follow the instructions that follow:

If you create a recovery DVD, you may be able to boot to recovery options
Create Recovery DVD

The Vista recovery disk is used to boot Vista when it won't boot - to run Startup Repair, System Restore, access a Command Line, Recover using a Vista Backup Image, etc.
System Recovery Options

If Vista will not start now, boot the Recovery CD to run Startup Repair which automates System Restore as well as numerous other tests including System File Checker which can repair system files which are not corrupted beyond repair.

If Vista still will not start, try booting into Safe Mode to run sfc /scannow to repair System files.
Special Thanks Given to Seven Forums.

Below is a bulletin distributed by MS to explain the start up procedure when Windows will not boot.
Startup Repair. Startup Repair is a Windows recovery tool that can fix certain problems, such as missing or damaged system files, that might prevent Windows from starting. Startup Repair is located on the System Recovery Options menu, which is on the Windows Vista installation disc. If your computer has preinstalled recovery options, it might also be stored on your computer's hard disk. For more information, see Startup Repair: frequently asked questions and What are the system recovery options in Windows Vista? If your computer does not include Startup Repair, your computer manufacturer might have customized or replaced the tool. Check the information that came with your computer or go to the manufacturer's website.Change restart settings in safe mode. If your computer is stuck in a loop where Windows fails, attempts to restart, and then fails again repeatedly, restart your computer in safe mode and select the Disable automatic restart on system failure checkbox. For more information, see Advanced startup options (including safe mode).Reinstall. If no other options have solved the problem, and you are sure that your computer's hardware is functioning normally, you might need to reinstall Windows. A custom (clean) installation of Windows will permanently delete all of the files on your computer and reinstall Windows, so only use this option if all other recovery options have been unsuccessful. After the installation, you will need to reinstall your programs and restore your files from backup copies. For more information, see Installing and reinstalling Windows**.Worst case scenario, your BIOS could have gone bad.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/287393-reboot-select-proper-boot-device.html
Relevancy 90.52%

Hi guys, I have searched the forum and tried some of the solutions but it does not solve my problem. I had disconnected my had and reconnected it but to no avail. I can't even enter the bios setup screen, I can only enter the asrock setup utility screen. Does this mean my hdd is spoilt? Thanks for any help!

By the way in the Uefi setup utility, under the boot option priorities,it only shows my dvd drive my hdd is not shown there

A:Reboot and select proper boot device

Hello Dual form. Welcome to the forum.

Yes, that error message means that the system cannot find a boot capable device. This indicates that your hard drive is not recognized by the system as a boot device.
If you put a bootable CD in the DVD Drive then the system should recognize the DVD as a bootable device and you will not get that message.

The reasons that a HDD could not be recognized as a bootable device are:
No power to drive (check cables, test for 12v)
No data transfer (check SATA cable)
No operating system on the drive (blank drive, MBR damaged, System Partition corrupted)
But because the HDD is not recognized in BIOS/UEFI settings then it is most likely that the drive is either not connected properly or it has died electrically.

Can you test this drive in another computer?
Also: I assume that the "ASROCK setup utility" is the same as "UEFI setup utility", not 2 different setup enviroments. Correct?
If so, that is your BIOS setup. It has just been renamed for the new system.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/308294-reboot-select-proper-boot-device.html
Relevancy 90.52%

hello, i recenty got a problem: when booting my pc a black screen comes up and it says "reboot and select proper boot device"

now i've seen similar topics, but none had a problem quite like mine.

i haven't changed anything in my pc that is related to hardware, i just instaled a game called "4story" and when i launched about a minute later windows froze, commands like alt+tab, alt+f4, ctrl+alt+del didn't work so i rebooted and that is when the black screen came up.

i can freely access BIOS, but i don't know how to work with them. from what i've read it is posible that BIOS just don't reconise pc's hdd and it's needed to turn it back on through BIOS, though i don't know how to do that or will that even work.

any help will be apreciated.

I think the game is trying to use drivers that are not compatible with your hardware.

So, ... can you boot to safe mode? Here is how...
Turn the system off,
wait a few seconds,
turn the system back on, and press f8, (repeatedly if necessary.)
It will bring you to a "black screen" with several options, including "safe mode".
Select "safe mode", (Not "safe mode with networking").
Go into your "Control Panel", ("Start" -> "Control Panel") then select "add/Remove programs"
Then uninstall the software you just installed.
I suspect this will get your system back.

Let me know if this works.
If not, we'll try something else.
If it does work, we can then troubleshoot why the game didn't run properly on your system,

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device.153230/
Relevancy 90.52%

Hi, so I think my hard drive died but not positive. A week ago I was using my computer and it worked fine, after I was done I shut it down like every time for the past 3 years. The next day I powered my system up and it went to gateway screen and I noticed it was taking forever to jump into windows. Well it never did, it went to a screen saying reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key. Im not getting anywhere by pressing f8 or using recovery disc. I go into BIOS and my hard drive isn't listed, I've checked and switched cables to make sure it wasnt that. I can also hear the hard drive spinning. Any advice would be appreciated.

A:Reboot and select proper boot device.

Could simply be a loose cable (data or power) to the HDD. But most likely it has failed, especially as it's not recognized by the BIOS.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device.1043804/
Relevancy 90.52%

Hi Guys,

After a very frustrating online poker session I decided to give my laptop and hit which caused a blue crash dump screen to appear.

Now every time I switch on my laptop the following message appears:

Reboot & select proper boot device
or insert boot media in selected book device and press any key

Does anyone have any ideas how a not-too-tech-savvy guy might fix this or is my only option to take it to a repair shop? If so, does anyone have any ideas on how much it should cost to fix?

Thanks!

Relevancy 90.52%

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I have a Toshiba laptop and it keeps returning with the message 'Reboot and select proper Boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and pres a key.' I'm not very good with technology but I've had a look through various forums and tried pressing F12/F2 and nothing's working.

I have Windows 7 and it's a Toshiba Satellite L830-123 laptop.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

A:'Reboot and select proper boot device'

Ariana, happy new year!

I got bad news probably though...

Did the system just do this all of a sudden?

Normally what this means is that the hard drive has failed and will need to be replaced.

Do you have a set of re overy disks??
As for the laptop, can you boot into the BIOS, probably using F2 or DEL immediately after powering on and locate the drives section and see if its being detected? If not likely its dead and needs replacing, so hopefully there's nothing on there that's life and death that isn't backed up to atleast one other source

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device.1163365/
Relevancy 90.52%

basiclly i beieve a virus has deleted some cruicial files on my HD responsible for booting. how i have come to this belief is becuase i ran a file tht i "assumed" was a virus but ran it anyway. and shorrtly after the computer crashed and i recieved the message "insert boot media...". now, im not able to boot into safe mode BartPE is not recognising my HD and i donno what to do. Can someone please reccomend some software that would help like somthing i can boot with.
p.s.....anyone who is posting pelase do not post novice things for i know my computer stuff so i have already tried all fo the basics.
Im running with a 80GB SATA HD. thnk you in advance.

If you are running XP you can try repairing the boot sector of the hard drive or try doing an XP repair:
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/How-to-repair-Windows-XP-t138.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device.124501/
Relevancy 90.52%

im having trouble getting out of this screen.
it says reboot and select boot device. can anyone please help??/

A:reboot and select proper boot device

Welcome rich44.

Do you know much about the BIOS? Or anyone else in your house/nearby? If so, have you or someone else touched the boot order in the BIOS recently? Someone might need to take a look at it.

I'm assuming you get this message when starting up your system? Did you do anything before hand, installed some program, new hard drive, run some cleanup tool? Anything?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-595042.html
Relevancy 90.52%

Ah damnit.
Well, I came home the other day, woke up my PC from 'sleep' mode, and my computer froze. Everything stopped responding. I though this was weird, so I powered off my computer, then started it up again. It was taking longer to start up than normal, and then I hit a black screen. I got text coming up saying "Reboot and select proper boot device...." I went into BIOS and changed my priority order so my main hard drive containing all my sys32 was first.

I figure a plug came loose in my comp. I've had it for around 2 years now, never had a problem. Months back, I had WIN7 installed and added a 2TB hard drive.
Any ideas?

(System specs at bottom left)

A:Reboot and select proper Boot Device

Have you tried changing boot priority to your other hard drive?

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/122337-reboot-select-proper-boot-device.html
Relevancy 90.52%

Ok so my old hard drive went bad so I went out and bought a new both were SATAs the new is a WD proper device and Reboot boot select caviar with tb the old was a seagate barracuda with gb Regardless I figured I could download windows at a friends house burn it to a dvd-r put in the new hard drive install windows and be good to go However I am getting the reboot and selecte proper boot device error It is reading my hard drive and dvd drive under boot devices It also shows up when I run diagnostics I googled the error and found a million results but none have really helped atm I don t know if the error is from not have an operating system or something else Right now I have the computer at my friends house and im going back and forth Reboot and select proper boot device swapping wires to power on each computer I am getting really frustrated and could use some help I did check boot order and what not to make sure it s right I am a huge computer novice and need very specific instructions Maybe I didn t burn the disk right Let me know if any specific specs are needed im just trying to get this down to get help asap nbsp

It very well could be a bad disc, mainly because it was "Downloaded". But still, if it was burnt any faster then about 4x you will experience issues such as these. What I would do is; in the bios disable everything as a boot device but the CD drive. Put in the CD, save and reboot.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device.930487/
Relevancy 90.52%

So last week one of the workstations gave this error after a restart The person using the PC had been using a thumb drive and went to remove it and it wouldn't eject so they shut down the computer so they could safely remove it yeah don't ask me on that When they restarted the PC they got either this error or quot OS Missing quot I don't remember which I did scan the thumb drive with BitDefender and it's clean I tried repairing from the Windows install disk and at first it said that it was the wrong disc for the OS even Proper Select Boot Device Reboot and though it was the correct disc However after I Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device put the HDD in another PC to make sure all docs had been backed up and then put it back in the problem PC it allowed me to launch the System Repair menu From here I tried the top option which was System Repair and when that didn't work I used the CMD Prompt to run bootrec fixmbr bootrec fixboot bootrec rebuildbcd exit This didn't resolve the issue either so I reinstalled the OS after fighting the whole quot OS can't be installed because this drive is a GPT format quot which is strange because it hasn't changed since I built the PC and installed the OS After spending most of yesterday updating reinstalling etc I restarted it this morning for an update and it's back saying to Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device I've tried turning the UEFI on and off checked the HDD with Crystal Disk Info unplugged everything but mouse keyboard HDD and optical drive and even pulled the CMOS battery and drained power form the PC before trying again I've also re-seated the RAM I am currently reinstalling the OS but I'm afraid it will just repeat Any suggestions Thanks FSG

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-1116842.html