Windows Support Forum

External Hard Drive Works In Ubuntu / Shows as "Local Disk" in Win 7 and doesn't work

Q: External Hard Drive Works In Ubuntu / Shows as "Local Disk" in Win 7 and doesn't work

Hi I am not sure whether I should be posting this in the Windows forum or the PC Hardware because it involves both I have an external GB Transcend Drive with a lot of important data Recently I unplugged it from my PC and took to another to get some files One the other machine Vista it didn't show up as far as I can remember thought that was strange so i brought it back to my Laptop Win Dual Boot Disk" doesn't Hard Win "Local and In in / 7 as Drive External work Works Ubuntu Shows with Ubuntu and it only showed as Local Disk I have tried to find useful information on the net but some is very vague and some is outright stupid and irrelevant The fact is that the HDD is not broken When in Ubuntu I can view the contents fine and everything is there no freeze ups or anything but External Hard Drive Works In Ubuntu / Shows as "Local Disk" in Win 7 and doesn't work in windows the drive shows up as External Hard Drive Works In Ubuntu / Shows as "Local Disk" in Win 7 and doesn't work Local Disk I don't think it is a drive letter conflict The Device shows up fine in the Device Manager I'm sure some of you have solved this problem as it seems many on the Internet have If so please tell me in a few steps how you resolved it I am External Hard Drive Works In Ubuntu / Shows as "Local Disk" in Win 7 and doesn't work not formatting as I do not deem this necessary since I can access my data fine in Ubuntu Kind Regards

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: External Hard Drive Works In Ubuntu / Shows as "Local Disk" in Win 7 and doesn't work

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: External Hard Drive Works In Ubuntu / Shows as "Local Disk" in Win 7 and doesn't work

I suggest that while in Ubuntu you move the files to local HDD, then reformat external HDD, then copy the files back.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/external-hard-drive-works-in-ubuntu-shows-as-local-disk-in-win-7-and-doesnt-work-500728.html
Relevancy 101.06%

Hey all I recently upgraded from Windows to Windows and I'm loving it EXCEPT for this one problem I'm "Local Hard Disk" External inaccessible, Drive becomes having Immediately after I upgraded my external hard drive WD Ext HDD TB was missing from quot External Hard Drive inaccessible, becomes "Local Disk" My Computer quot I never had any problems with this HDD before I upgraded and the file-system is NTFS The external drive is visible in Disk Management however there is no letter assigned Right clicking on the drive's partitions in Disk Management shows every option grayed out except for quot Delete Volume quot Upon seeing this I attempted to use diskpart to assign a new letter however in diskpart the partition type is listed as quot unknown quot and when I attempt to assign a letter diskpart says quot there is no volume specified quot Listing volumes in diskpart only seems to list the volumes on my internal drive not the external one After reading some articles on similar problems I tried using the program quot MiniTool Partition Wizard quot to assign a new drive letter and it seemed to work The drive showed up in quot My Computer quot with the correct name and letter with all my data intact In Disk Management all the drive options were still grayed out but because I could access my drive I figured the problem was solved However after a short amount of time the drive became inaccessible In quot My Computer quot the drive's name changed from quot cmluepke tb external F quot to quot Local Disk F quot Clicking on quot Local Disk quot results in an error message At this point in time I can use quot MiniTool Partition Wizard quot to assign a new letter but after a variable amount of time - minutes the drive will become unavailable again Other things I have tried in order to solve this problem used many different USB ports plugged the external HDD's power cord directly into the wall rather than into power cord uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers for the HDD and for USB Mass Storage Device in Device Manager checked bios couldn't find options pertaining to the external drive ran chkdsk I have read into similar cases and heard that quot Delete Volume quot should fix the problem however I don't currently have a way to back up this much data I simply don't have space for tb of stuff anywhere else If that is really the only way to fix it I understand I just figured I'd check and make sure there wasn't anything else I could try before I delete and reformat Anyway sorry for the long post Let me know if you need any more information or if you have any ideas of things I could try

A:External Hard Drive inaccessible, becomes "Local Disk"

I had this exact same problem with a 16GB Toshiba thumb-drive a few days ago.
I'd been having heat-related shutdowns, and believe this to be what caused the issue in the first place.
Deleting the volume, then re-creating it allowed me to format and assign a drive-letter.
But yes, I did lose the (non-critical - a recorded TV show) data.
I'm not aware of any other 'fixes'.
Wenda.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/18196-external-hard-drive-inaccessible-becomes-local-disk.html
Relevancy 94.24%

The hard drive is a Western Digital 320 GB that I've had plugged into this computer before (and worked). Then i got a virus and had to do a recovery of windows.

Ever since then I can't get windows to recognize/show it in my computer. I just "disabled" and "enabled" it in device manager to no effect. I have a C, D, and E drive which are: two partitions on the hard drive, and then the CD drive (respectively).

So i'm stuck, not sure where to proceed since it's obviously not the hard drive itself, I use it on my xbox all the time. What next?

A:External Hard Drive doesn't show up in "my computer" but does in "device manager"

Does it show in Disk Management ? ?
Right clik My Computer...select Manage...then Disk Management.
Find the drive...right clik it and select Properties.
Report back with your findings.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/276295-external-hard-drive-doesnt-show-up-my-computer-but-does-device-manager.html
Relevancy 87.73%

Win 7
Toshiba Qosmio x500
When i plug in an external pen drive or hdd to any of the USB Ports. a box opens & says 
" Location is not Available, F:/ is Not Accessible, Access is Denied"
I can view its icon in My Comp. but when i double click, error occurs.
This started happening all of a sudden. It was working fine until yesterday.
Plz help.  :'( 
Bobbina....

A:Any External Hard drive shows " Location is not Available, F:/ is Not Accessible, Access is Denied", this Error is shown all USB ports.

Hi Vincent,
Thanks for your input.
My problem has been solved.
1 chap from another forum suggested it may have been a fault with my AntiVirus.
He made me check the client policy for USB Auto On/Off for external drive scanning.
he suggested me some changes, & now all my usb external drives work... :)
Yayyy..!!!
Thanks all of you.
Regards.
Bobbina..x
(P.s.: hope the problem does not pop-up again...)

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/0ca68d31-68ed-4bce-a4c5-3590b49b56a9/any-external-hard-drive-shows-quot-location-is-not-available-f-is-not-accessible-access-is?forum=w7itprosecurity
Relevancy 87.42%

Alright I have a whole bunch of my music and videos on my external hard drive and I got a new Dell XPS yesterday I had been using my external hard drive just fine for the past - yeas now with different laptops working fine I plugged it yesterday to transfer all my music to my new computer and it seemed to be working fine There was an error as the copy rate External Local -- won't open Disk as only working, shows drive hard stopped up slowwed so I decided to delete and try again I did that about times and then decided to just copy the music album by album Eventually I don External hard drive stopped working, only shows up as Local Disk -- won't open t know how it ended up happening instead of the Hard Drive coming up as Seagate on the My Computer Tab it started showing up as Local Disk J on my Dell and Local Disk E on my laptop now It doesn t matter where I plug it in Not only that it won t open when I try to open it It will get loaded and then just pause and stop responding I m completely lost My hard drive is Seagate GB nbsp

A:External hard drive stopped working, only shows up as Local Disk -- won't open

Hi, first I would run the Seagate diagnostics to check the hard drive is still healthy following this guide.

Identify the make of your hard drive and then use one of the links below to get the manufacturers diagnostic for ISO CD. Burn the image file to a CD, boot the PC with the disc in the drive and run the diagnostics. You first need to set the CD drive to 1st in the boot order in the Bios setup.

If you do not have an image burner use this free software to make the CD.

http://www.isoimageburner.com/

ExcelStor: http://www.excelstor.com/eng/support.php?sub_id=3

Hitachi/IBM: http://www.hitachigst.com/support/downloads/

Samsung: http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/support/downloads/support_in_es.html

Seagate, Maxtor & Quantum:http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads

Western Digital:http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?lang=en

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Toshiba Fujitsu: http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=SoftwareUtilities#diagnostic

If you have a Toshiba hard drive I would suggest the use of the diagnostics from the Seagate link as this will work on all makes of drive and on any OS.Click to expand...

It sounds likely that the circuitry in the drive enclosure is failing (or the drive), if the test won't run then remove the drive from the enclosure and purchase a USB Hard Drive adapter, or use the internal connections in a desktop PC to connect the drive. This should allow you to run the test and/or extract all the files.

If the test runs ok with the drive connected to another PC internally, or with a USB adapter then you will know for sure that it is the enclosure that has failed.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-stopped-working-only-shows-up-as-local-disk-wont-open.169973/
Relevancy 85.56%

Am trying to get an external hard drive up and running!
When connected (via USB) it is recognised by Belarc Advisor, but does not appear in "My Computer" and hence is not usable - can anyone help?
Thanks, Guys.

A:"My Computer" doesn't see external hard drive

You need to format the drive before you can use it.
Go to start> run and type diskmgmt.msc and hit enter.
Right click on the drive and create an extended partition in the unallocated space.
Now create a logical drive in the new partition and format with ntfs.
Once completed you can use the drive

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-computer-doesnt-see-external-hard-drive.556399/
Relevancy 82.46%

Hi guys I'm new here EXTERNAL WD HARD suddenly "not "unallocated" initialized" 1TB DISK and I've tried to read all the discussion about how to fix the unallocated hard drive but I just can't understand it as the cases were pretty much different than I'm WD EXTERNAL HARD DISK 1TB suddenly "unallocated" and "not initialized" facing of Here's my problem WD EXTERNAL HARD DISK 1TB suddenly "unallocated" and "not initialized" Yesterday my external hard drive seems normal everything is fine until there's a blackout and I have to put quot sleep quot to my laptop After the power got back the hard drive suddenly gone and when I check the list of drives under quot Disk Management quot it showed up as quot Disk - Unallocated quot I've attached screenshots here for your viewing My external hard drive is WD My Passport TB It contains a lot of valuable data I cannot afford to lose I really hope there's a way to fix this and once I get back all of those precious data I will buy another HD to transfer them ASAP because I cant let this happen to me again Your help is so very much appreciated Any questions regarding my problem let me know I'll provide all of the details you guys need NOTE I've tried TestDisk but on the quot Analyse quot process it says quot read error quot I've changed cable but the situation remains the same I've tried Recuva but it doesnt recognize my external drive

A:WD EXTERNAL HARD DISK 1TB suddenly "unallocated" and "not initialized"

Hi!

First don't mess up with the WD drive settings.. download partition wizard 7 (its free)..then .. open it ..click wizard(menu) .. select partition recovery wizard.. and it will find the partitions on it i think.. that way you can recover your partition that has been lost.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/334178-wd-external-hard-disk-1tb-suddenly-unallocated-not-initialized.html
Relevancy 111.37%

Good evening people I did a clean windows recovery yesterday night left computer doing the work while I was asleep via HP recovery manager and today while setting it up I plugged in my external HDD for software installers and stuff not sure if the problem was disk" External "Local Hdd+ partition as show recovery present at the moment Later when I wanted External Hdd+ recovery partition show as "Local disk" to eject it and unplug it it didn't want to eject saying that something in it was in use although I was sure I closed everything in relation maybe a External Hdd+ recovery partition show as "Local disk" process was still on but I unplugged it anyways thinking that the ejection is not crucial for mass storage devices then when I plugged it back in later it showed as Local Disk and so did the recovery partition tat was entitled quot Recovery quot before The external HDD which is a Transcend does work properly though and when plugged the scan options notification from ESET Smart Security display its original name I hope I wasn't long explaining useless stuff and hope you guys would be of help to me thank you so much for your time

A:External Hdd+ recovery partition show as "Local disk"

what is shows in device manager?..
Disk management?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/366620-external-hdd-recovery-partition-show-local-disk.html
Relevancy 108.79%

My hard drive not showing in "my computer" or "Disk Management" but is showing under device manager. I got the hard drive from a friend and his dad had put a Password encryption on it. Any Ideas?

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/60253-hard-drive-not-showing-my-computer-disk-managment-help.html
Relevancy 107.93%

Hi Guys, any ideas how to access my external hard drive [TOSHIBA MK3029GACE] device manager can see it but it does not appear in disc management.

I use this HDD perfectly in my car HDD player. But when I try to connect it to my Laptop, it does not show up in disk management.

Please check the attached screen shot..

Thanks for the help....

A:HDD shows in "Device Manager" but not in "DiskPart"or" Disk Management

Specs show that drive has a ATA-6 interface (P-ATA, or IDE). How are you connecting this drive to your laptop? Does the laptop have a PATA or SATA connection? Does it use an adapter?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/347111-hdd-shows-device-manager-but-not-diskpart-disk-management.html
Relevancy 107.07%

Hi Everyone I'm hoping to get some help I had a power outage while my WD Elements TB Hard drive was on I wasn't accessing it but apparently that was enough I had a lot of important data on it but losing External "Bad failure. after Hard power disk" Drive failure hope after unsuccessful attempts to use PhotoRec to get items off it It doesn't show as accessible in MyComputer but is detected I've included what it shows under the quot Manage quot view of the drive I've also tried MiniTool Partition but it doesn't seem to be able to fix the partition I've also tried Partition Bad Disk and it just shows the whole TB drive as one bad block It won't let me fix it either Does anyone have any other bits of advice I'm at a loss as what to do It seems the data is not recoverable I can't figure out how to get it to show or even how to use it again Please see attachments I'm grateful for any ideas help please Thank you

A:External Hard Drive failure. "Bad disk" after power failure

Hello dime5150. Welcome to the forum

In PW, did you try "Rebuild MBR"?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/348517-external-hard-drive-failure-bad-disk-after-power-failure.html
Relevancy 106.64%

Hi all Sorry to repeat a question I see a lot of instances of but none of those seem to be addressing my problem correctly I have not done anything new to my computer in recent days so this problem has caught me off guard I see most instances of this problem come after upgrading to Windows I have had Win installed for a while now Here is a summary of my problem My computer recently got stuck on the quot Starting Windows Screen quot So I manually held the power button to reboot On reboot it said there was a need to run a startup repair which I did Everything checked fine except for the Corrupted" Windows", is on Repair "Starting Stuck Shows Disk Volume "System on last one which said quot System Volume on Disk is Corrupted quot which it claimed to have successfully fixed After rebooting from repair the system gets stuck on quot Starting Windows Screen quot for a good - minutes after which it runs a registry check After it completes that I get hopeful -- but the screen then gets stuck on an all black screen with just the mouse cursor and nothing more Additional note Attempting to start the computer on quot safe mode quot leads Stuck on "Starting Windows", Repair Shows "System Volume on Disk is Corrupted" safe mode startup to become stalled Stuck on "Starting Windows", Repair Shows "System Volume on Disk is Corrupted" on quot DRIVERS CLASSPNP SYS quot The lastest attempt to repair yielded this message quot Startup repair cannot repair this computer automatically Problem event Name Startup Repair Offline Problem signature uknown quot AutoFailover Corrupt Volume OS Version Locale Id In need of help not sure where to start Thanks nbsp

A:Stuck on "Starting Windows", Repair Shows "System Volume on Disk is Corrupted"

Hi Stan, Hopefully I can help you out....or at least lead you in the right direction. From my experience, the symptoms you are suggesting sound like perhaps a dying Hard drive.

1. Do you have the windows 7 boot disks that came with your computer or when you bought the Operating System? If so, you could try and insert one of those and boot from it, and attempt to repair the installation. (this won't affect your data, only the windows system files).

2. If that doesn't fix it, you could try a fresh reinstall of windows 7, and see if that works.

3. If neither of those work, its likely that because of the fact that when windows is repairing itself, it is generally putting copies of its system files in the same physical location on your disk. Because your disk is obviously not completely dead, ie....its still loading to the windows 7 startup screen, its just copying files to the bad sectors on your hard drive and gets stuck when loading. This is especially my guess because you said Safe mode is having same problems, even after attempting to repair. In the past, I've tried and salvage a disk by reformatting it and only leaving on partitions which do not contain the bad clusters. This takes some time, and some guess work.....and really this is only a "bandaid" fix because once the disk has bad clusters, its only a matter of time before these things give out. You wouldn't want to trust your important data on it anyways....

I hope this leads you in the right direction.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/stuck-on-starting-windows-repair-shows-system-volume-on-disk-is-corrupted.1023059/
Relevancy 106.21%

i Recently bought and hp windows 7 computer 64 bit and it was fine but two weeks later it does this it was working few hour ago and now it saids this ""Local Area Connection" Doesn't have a valid ip config"
what does that mean? i couldnt fix it, i turned off the router, modem did a pc recovery and i also waited. it didnt do anything how do i fix this? am not really good at pc can someone give met he step one by one?

A:""Local Area Connection" Doesn't have a valid ip config "

Quote: Originally Posted by markxsimu

i Recently bought and hp windows 7 computer 64 bit and it was fine but two weeks later it does this it was working few hour ago and now it saids this ""Local Area Connection" Doesn't have a valid ip config"
what does that mean? i couldnt fix it, i turned off the router, modem did a pc recovery and i also waited. it didnt do anything how do i fix this? am not really good at pc can someone give met he step one by one?

You should first try resetting the router by holding down the reset button for 30 seconds, still holding down the button, unplug the router for 30 seconds, power back up while still holding down the button for 30 more seconds.

After that it's required that you go into the routers settings and make sure the wireless is set up correctly, you need to add SSID "name of network" set up a password to connect, then choose the security and encryption, WPA2 and AES encryption tends to work best with Windows 7 drivers.

After that check your wireless profile for this connection by going to the Network and Sharing center, look left for "Manage wireless connections" and use the same settings that you used for the router.

If you are still having problems please post the ipconfig/all from this machine and I'll have a look at it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/236591-local-area-connection-doesnt-have-valid-ip-config.html
Relevancy 105.35%

Hello,

So I have a 64GB USB Flash Drive (Centon DataStick Sport). I had not used the drive in several months until the other day when I plugged it into my computer and it asked me to reformat it. I don't know why it asked me to reformat it, but it might have been due to water damage (I had carried it in my backpack and water may have hit it. I'm not quite sure).

I reformatted the drive using NTFS file system and everything is fine aside from one thing; when I plug it in, it shows up as a "Local Drive" under "Hard Drives" like my WD 1TB drive does. I would think that it should show up under 'Devices with removable storage" but it does not.

Does anyone know why this is?

Thanks.

A:USB Flash Drive showing up as "Local Disk" in Windows 7

Hi SlashEmUp Welcome to Seven Forums .. Right click on the Usb Drive propertys/hardware uninstall the Driver . Then unplug the Flash Drive .. Re-Install .. See if that works

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/299143-usb-flash-drive-showing-up-local-disk-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 105.35%

In my PC, internet doesn't work but shows "Internet Access". From phone it works. But sometime internet works.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/384134-shows-internet-access-but-internet-doesn-t-works.html
Relevancy 104.49%

i want make a dvd disk for my compaq recovery, but it always shows "this is not a blank disk, please insert a blank dvd?". wut should i do to get a recovery dvd? (i have updated my drive, but nothing useful. i have tested my burner with nero, it works fine.)

A:"compaq Recovery Cd/dvd Creator"!!! why it always shows "this is not a blank disk"?

plz help!!!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/compaq-recovery-cd-dvd-creator-why-it-always-shows-this-is-not-a-blank-disk.316741/
Relevancy 104.49%

Hi after a long time I came back settled in Toronto I found myself in need of superior assistance from the pros Not my laptop but a friends by chance during lunch he mentions his webcam doesn't Win7 inet use, AV on works install updates, no in works, shows "fine"... Webcam work anymore which surprised me cause I had to hold onto his laptop for weeks while he was out of Canada in any case I take a look and yes webcam shows in use by another application yet the webcam looks off and even skype is off so instinct kicks and AV is not working Win updates won't connect nor MB will update Webcam shows in use, no AV install works, on Win7 updates, inet works "fine"... tried to run Kas online install closes by itself and so it happens with every other malware Webcam shows in use, no AV install works, on Win7 updates, inet works "fine"... detection program I tried so I tell him to don't use it while I come back the next day and take it home he managed to install and run some programs after googling around in any case I have the laptop with me and so I decided to get help Here are the Logs DDS DDS Ver - - - NTFS AMD Internet Explorer BrowserJavaVersion Run by Pete at on - - Running Processes C Program Files Dell DellDock DockLogin exe C Program Files x Foxit Software Foxit Reader Foxit Cloud FCUpdateService exe C Program Files x Intel Intel R Management Engine Components LMS LMS exe C Windows SysWOW rundll exe C Program Files x Dell DataSafe Local Backup sftservice EXE C Program Files x Dell DataSafe Local Backup TOASTER EXE C Program Files x Dell DataSafe Local Backup COMPONENTS SCHEDULER STSERVICE EXE C Program Files x Dell DataSafe Local Backup Components DSUpdate DSUpd exe C Program Files x Intel Intel R Rapid Storage Technology IAStorIcon exe C Program Files x Dell Support Center bin sprtcmd exe C Program Files x Dell Support Center gs agent dsc exe Pseudo HJT Report uStart Page hxxp google ca uSearch Bar hxxp www google com ie uSearch Page hxxp www google com uDefault Search URL hxxp www google com ie uProxyServer localhost uSearchAssistant hxxp www google com ie uSearchURL Default hxxp www google com search q s uURLSearchHooks McAfee SiteAdvisor Toolbar EBBBE -BAD - B C- E A- ABECAE - c Program Files x McAfee SiteAdvisor McIEPlg dll mWinlogon Userinit userinit exe BHO Groove GFS Browser Helper - C - D -B F - BBC D A E - C Program Files x Microsoft Office Office GrooveShellExtensions dll BHO Windows Live ID Sign-in Helper D - C - ABF- ECC- C - C Program Files x Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WindowsLiveLogin dll BHO McAfee SiteAdvisor BHO B E -A B - A -B - CD E A FF - c Program Files x McAfee SiteAdvisor McIEPlg dll BHO Java tm Plug-In SSV Helper DBC -A - b-BC - C C C A - C Program Files x Java jre bin jp ssv dll TB McAfee SiteAdvisor Toolbar EBBBE -BAD - B C- E A- ABECAE - c Program Files x McAfee SiteAdvisor McIEPlg dll uRun SUPERAntiSpyware C Program Files SUPERAntiSpyware SUPERAntiSpyware exe mRun IAStorIcon C Program Files x Intel Intel R Rapid Storage Technology IAStorIcon exe mRun dellsupportcenter quot C Program Files x Dell Support Center bin sprtcmd exe quot P dellsupportcenter mRunOnce quot C Program Files x Dell DataSafe Local Backup Components DSUpdate DSUpdate exe quot quot C Program Files x Dell DataSafe Local Backup Components DSUpdate DSUpdate exe quot uPolicies-Explorer NoDriveTypeAutoRun dword mPolicies-Explorer NoActiveDesktop dword mPolicies-Explorer NoActiveDesktopChanges dword mPolicies-System ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin dword mPolicies-System ConsentPromptBehaviorUser dword mPolicies-System EnableUIADesktopToggle dword mPolicies-System PromptOnSecureDesktop dword IE E amp xport to Microsoft Excel - C PROGRA MIF BA Office EXCEL EXE IE Send image to amp Bluetooth Device - C Program Files WIDCOMM Bluetooth Software btsendto ie ctx htm IE Send page to amp Bluetooth Device - C Program Files WIDCOMM Bluetooth Software btsendto ie htm IE C - CB - a-A C -D FCDDC D - F B - A - ... Read more

A:Webcam shows in use, no AV install works, on Win7 updates, inet works "fine"...

I forgot to mention, Gmer crashed several times and I had to run it with Sections and C: only, and the title says "on Win7 updates" is "no win7 updates", I can't update the OS

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f100/webcam-shows-in-use-no-av-install-works-on-win7-updates-inet-works-fine-924258.html
Relevancy 104.49%

My portable hard drive is showing all the hidden files and folders on it (the ones prefixed with ".", but not the System Information folder, interestingly). I don't have this trouble with any other drives, or elsewhere on my computer, so it seems somehow to be associated with this specific drive.

Of course I check to make sure that "Show hidden files and folders" is turned off.

A:Portable hard drive shows hidden files (prefixed with ".")

Has the drive ever been connected to a Mac?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/186827-portable-hard-drive-shows-hidden-files-prefixed.html
Relevancy 104.06%

I don't know what is my problem because is not the first time that usb external hard drive is working fine until get damage and said " it need to be formatted " and lost all the INFO because I have to format again the disk to be usefull. Also it is not the same hard disk.

A:Why USB external hard disk show now " The disk need to be formatted"

Hi Elnene,

I am actually having the same issue regarding a spare external drive and Windows 7. The drive works perfectly on XP and Wii but the second I plug it into my laptop (windows 7) **YOU NEED TO FORMAT......** This is not an option! I have searched the internet far and wide - there are a few fixes that have worked for some but unfortunately not me. I also noticed that NONE / NO ONE / NOT ONE Windows 7 'Help sites' that have Windows 7 'gurus' have bothered to EVER answer this rather common problem. There are threads older than 4 years that have never been answered and I see your thread is already 4 weeks old... Sad really.

I CAN'T BELIEVE MicroSoft can't help regarding this issue???????????????????

In this time I hope you have come right!!!
Kind regards
Eldin Mc

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/242229-why-usb-external-hard-disk-show-now-disk-need-formatted.html
Relevancy 104.06%

Just recently I had re-formatted to explain), Doesn't "Restart" Help! (Hard work WinXP this being one of the problems It was fixed and halleluja I could restart w tzor I started installing my software and games and continued restarting The last things I installed Soundblaster Help! "Restart" Doesn't work (Hard to explain), WinXP Live Value Drivers Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer Drivers While installing both of them From CD Help! "Restart" Doesn't work (Hard to explain), WinXP I have two drives I went into MSconfig and dis-abled the AudioHQ that auto starts and when both of them finished installing Well SBLive drivers finished a little early I hit restart as prompted by my msconfig I was greeted by quot Primary Hard Disk not found quot quot Strike F to retry F to enter setup utility quot I hit retry times and it didn t work I went into my BIOS Setup and it said my Primary Hard Disk is an quot unknown quot device When I bootup and go into the menu again It says its my GB drive as its supposed to What happened A little info that may help Primary HD with OS and programs installed Drive C GB Drive RPM manufactured by Western Digital Drive D GB Drive I THINK its RPM manufactured by Maxtor Both are formatted as NTFS My computer was booting just fine before I did the previous actions is there anything I Can do Edit I checked the other post with a guy having the same problem and i just remembered The GB WD drive is set as quot Master quot And GB Maxtor drive is set as quot Slave Cable select quot One or the other I don t think this could effect the booting options since XP was restarting worked just fine before this I also failed to mention that this bug happened both times as in last time it happened and just now after modifying the contents of the startup tab in msconfig But the last time it happeend was long ago so I couldn t really tell what happened Its been narrowed down the possible things To my knowledge maybe i have it all wrong I found a boot file heres what it says boot loader timeout default multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS operating systems multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition quot fastdetect I messed with BIOS settings and now my BIOS takes up to one minute to load I didn t turn off fast detect and after the BIOS freezes at a full loading bar it takes about a minute then it just gives me the error that it can t find the primary hard disk nbsp

A:Help! "Restart" Doesn't work (Hard to explain), WinXP

MSCONFIG would not cause your HD to not be recognised by the BIOS. If your Bios is not seeing the HD there may be a loose wire. Bad cable of the HD may be going bad. Someone made a good point about spinup time in another thread. Myabe the BIOS is not giving the drive ample time to get to speed. If its a newer drive it may be having a problem with the motor. Try downloading Maxtor's HD check utility.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-restart-doesnt-work-hard-to-explain-winxp.109149/
Relevancy 103.2%

Ok guys.. I screwed up big time... I was about to create a bootable flash drive with a utility called HPflash and right the moment I pressed the start button I realized that the selected drive wasnt my flash drive.. but my external hard disk with 400 Gigs of Data! I dont know about you guys.. but I had tons of pictures and videos.. (my wedding video too!) And I am going nuts now.. can anyone please give me some hope and tell me I can recover all my files? Do I need to use one of the un-delete software out there? When I click on the hard disk it states that it needs to be formatted.. so apparently it hasnt.. so what happened to it? Can I undo what I did very quickly? thanks!

Relevancy 102.77%

Ok first off I want to say I've searched and searched and searched to no avail in trying to find a solution to this I've come failure not "disk Hard boot found Drive enter" and system insert press disk to the conclusion it's software and Hard Drive not found "disk boot failure insert system disk and press enter" not hardware based Let Hard Drive not found "disk boot failure insert system disk and press enter" me start from the top I've had an older computer HP Pavilion a x out Hard Drive not found "disk boot failure insert system disk and press enter" of commission for a while due to a 'sploded psu I finally get around to ordering one install it and everything is good I bring it back to my office and hook it up to the internet and as expected there's updates So I up date it and after the updates are installed the computer restarts automatically weird yes and as it's coming back on it detects errors and runs CHKDSK So I let it run and it gets to part of At this point in time my partner is really needing to print sometime and all computers print through this computer So after about minutes CHKDSK is still on part at only So I'm like quot screw it quot and manually shut down and restart It's at this point I get a quot primary master hard disk failure quot at the boot screen Letting start up continue I get a quot Stop c unknown hard error systemroot system ntdll dll quot At this point I realize something is delectably wrong Found this thread which didn't help much At some point the c error stops and I start getting quot disk boot failure insert system disk and press enter quot and I found this thread which didn't help much either I have also been searching other sites as well Here's what I found out that's important HDD shows up in BIOS HDD shows up at the boot screen Recovery console does not find the HDD Repair does not work becuase HDD is not detected HDD does not show up in other computers shows failure at boot screen Removed CMOS battery and replaced didn't help FDISK did not detect the HDD Drive is currently in the freezer Changed jumper to Cable Select no help Tried unsuccessfully to create a boot disk This drive is only gb I'm trying to retrieve files that are valuable to me If I can get these and the drive dies I'd be happen gb drives are laughable these days Any help would be GREATLY appreciated This is the first problem I haven't been able to solve with information that's already been posted Thanks in advance Get error quot Windows XP could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem Could not read from selected boot disk Check boot path and disk hardware Please check the Windows XP TM documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for additional information Boot Failed quot

A:Hard Drive not found "disk boot failure insert system disk and press enter"

Anything would be super helpful, even if it's bad news. I just need to know if I can get this remedied or not.

Another thing I noticed is that the HDD activity light on the front of the computer does not blink or show any activity.

Thanks!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/hard-drive-not-found-disk-boot-failure-insert-system-disk-and-press-enter-469255.html
Relevancy 102.77%

Ok, so I got a new asus P8z68-V pro motherboard.
Im re-using my current 750gb SATA drive.
I plugged it into the sata port, and start the computer.

When it starts it says "no hard drive is detected!"

I go into the bios, and on the bottom it has a disk drive, and a SATA drive.
It recognizes that the sata drive is there, but when i go to start up it says no hard drive is detected.

I have tried a few different sata ports and it is the exact same thing.
Any idea how to fix it, i am getting very frustrated at this point
thanks a lot

A:"hard drive not detected" but the hard drive shows in bios

is it your windows drive, or an extra storage drive?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/184509-hard-drive-not-detected-but-hard-drive-shows-bios.html
Relevancy 102.34%

As the above title describes quot quot Local Area Connection quot doesn't have a valid IP configuration quot I've tried every possible fix CMD - gt ipconfig release - ipconfig renew - reboot computer nothing happens On the Network Sharing Center - I get my Network shown as quot Unidentified Network quot I tried Uninstalling and Re-Installing the NIC no luck Updating the Driver didn't help either as it says it's up-to-date I've tried manually valid configuration" Error. doesn't a IP Area Connection" "Local have assigning the IP address but I don't think I did it correctly as I am quite new with Networking problems and especially with all the IP addresses' DNS DHCP etc So I need support "Local Area Connection" doesn't have a valid IP configuration" Error. with that and try it out whether that fix will work although I doubt at this point since I tried everything I "Local Area Connection" doesn't have a valid IP configuration" Error. tried disabling the IPv as well that did nothing too I also RESET my router which also had no affect I am using the VIRGINMEDIA SUPER HUB ROUTER It's a Fibre Optic Connection I also called my ISP they suggested the Internet is all stable and has no connection problems The Technician I spoke to over the phone said that there is something at fault with my computer itself and not the Router or Internet connection In other words my NIC My wireless connection works without any issues but when I plug-in my Ethernet Cable on the back of my Computer Motherboard it does not detect any Internet Access and I get the quot Unidentified Network quot When I troubleshoot it gives me that error which I wrote above as the title of this threat I am clueless of what I should do I was considering to bring it to my nearest Computer amp Laptop Repair shop but it's no point since it's not really a big of a problem I just need someone to assist me with this problem who I has more knowledge in this field and quot Knows quot how to fix this issue I've been trying to fix this for a week now and not gone anywhere with it Any HELP would be much appreciated Many Thanks -Joe

A:"Local Area Connection" doesn't have a valid IP configuration" Error.

Lets take a peek at your network environment:

First:

Power Cycle everything . . Turn off the Modem, router and all pc's . . turn on the Modem and wait a few minutes for the lights to stabilize . . then turn on the router, then one pc at a time. See if you connect to the internet.

Then:

Then: check your browser's settings, remove any proxy settings if found here's how.

Then:

with the pc connected to the router, Click on Start . . Run . . type CMD

At the > prompt type type the following command: IPCONFIG /ALL

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter. Come back here and Paste the results in a message.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB drive, or a CD-R disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f31/local-area-connection-doesnt-have-a-valid-ip-configuration-error-653542.html
Relevancy 101.91%

I have an external 15gb drive I'm trying to get some old files off of and I only have my laptop so I'm using an external enclosure. I can use it with other drives perfectly but I can't access the volumes from within my OS (Windows) on this drive.

A:External drive shows up in disk management but doesn't moutn a volume

Are you getting any error messages??

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-drive-shows-up-in-disk-management-but-doesnt-moutn-a-volume.762230/
Relevancy 101.91%

Whenever I plug in my USB device it wants to "scan and fix" but works if I just continue. On the other hand the G drive which is for my SD card gives me errors of corruption even before I took it out for the first time. Something is up with the drives and they are updated and all that. Also, with the SD card it doesn't let me delete and when I do add it is just the folder without the contents which then I can't delete. Help me fix this problem. I have a LX series Gateway computer with the pop up drive if that gives you any idea what I am dealing with.

PS: Should have bought a Mac.

A:USB Drives- "Scan and Fix" error and SD Card drive doesn't work.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/usb-drives-scan-and-fix-error-and-sd-card-drive-doesnt-work.919930/
Relevancy 101.48%

This is the error I got and I couldn't connect to the internet quot quot Local Area Connection quot Doesn't have a valid ip config It also stated that I had an unknown network and I couldn't get an IP from the DHCP Server for some reason I currently have it fixed somehow And would really appreciate some input Here is what I did most recently that somehow fixed it I used the 'netsh int ip reset c resetlog txt' method in the command prompt and after I restarted it still didn't work so then ""Local config a valid have Doesn't Area Connection" ip I remembered about an old computer in the garage with an ethernet card in it So I put that old dusty card it and plugged my cable ""Local Area Connection" Doesn't have a valid ip config into it instead of the default on my motherboard After a min of it trying to find and install a driver it failed and I still couldn't connect So I decided to plug it back into the motherboard ethernet if the card wasn't going to work and whala it worked I wonder if maybe it was the process of installing a new ethernet card Could somebody explain Now here is what I did before that all failed to work reset router modem rollback driver reinstall basic driver get new drivers from manufacturer website system restore to a few days ago when it worked many instances of the window troubleshooter fix not working and giving me the quot quot Local Area Connection quot Doesn't have a valid ip config quot response ipconfig release renew None of that worked not to my knowledge So I would appreciate any input on what you think happened Thanks in advance

A:""Local Area Connection" Doesn't have a valid ip config

To start off I have to say two things.
Welcome to the forums,
Sorry about the length of time before a reply 23 hours.

In you Nic card setting is Tcp/Ip v6 enabled? If yes try to disable it, there are known issues with v6. If its not enabled enable it your router may be handing out Tcp/IP v6 address.
Have you tried to set a dynamic ip address on your machine yet?

If you dont know how to set one up I would be more than happy to help you with it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/25441-local-area-connection-doesnt-have-valid-ip-config.html
Relevancy 101.48%

This is a question for information about why my networking problem finally was resolved I have four PC s on my network one Windows and three Windows XP The Windows PC always sees all three of the other computers However the Windows XP computers sometimes don t see the other XP computers when I press My Network Places Quite by accident I discovered that "View when Network Places" Why "My does Workgroup Computers" doesn't? work if I press View Workgroup Computers then ALL the other PC s in the network DO show up Furthermore if I click through quot View Workgroup Computers quot and access edit a file on one of the other computers then this computer will ALSO show up in My Network Places This behavior seems to be quite consistent and works every time I have tried it Apparently this is a workaround to the long vexing problem of why Why does "View Workgroup Computers" work when "My Network Places" doesn't? my networked PC s sometimes don t show up under My Network Places My question why does View Workgroup Computers apparently always show all the networked PC s when My Network Places does so only intermittently or sometimes not at all Thanks for Why does "View Workgroup Computers" work when "My Network Places" doesn't? any response Why does "View Workgroup Computers" work when "My Network Places" doesn't?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/why-does-view-workgroup-computers-work-when-my-network-places-doesnt-487868.html
Relevancy 100.62%

Sorry if this is the wrong forum.

Yesterday my external hard drive was working fine. Today I open it and there's a new folder called Pfiles...I am not running linux...and a tmp file. I delete the tmp file and try to delete Pfiles but it won't delete. Weird. So I open one of the folders and see that it's now empty, as are almost all of my other folders and subfolders. My daughter's folder however has her movies on the main subfolder, but subfolders in this folder are also empty.

The hard drive is showing half full...exactly what it should assuming I could access all the files. So what can I do? I've enclosed a screenshot of the Disk Management screen for this drive. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

A:Help with external hard drive. Files "missing" but still taking up space on the drive

Hi djfl,

External Hard-drives come in different types, some of them are, External storage devices and Automatic back-up devices.

If it is an automatic back-up device then data might be backed-up on the External Hard?drive without user intervention.

If it is an External storage device the files might be hidden. This could be the reason why the external Harddrive is showing half full. We can check if the files are hidden, please use the following link for detailed instructions to unhide folders: Hidden Files and Folders Option - Add or Remove

Please revert back for clarification.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/298528-help-external-hard-drive-files-missing-but-still-taking-up-space-drive.html
Relevancy 100.62%

I'm getting a lot of "Check Disk for Errors" and "this hard drive needs to be formatted before it can be used" error messages when plugging my external usb hard drives into my home pc which uses windows 7. I don't get any of these messages when I plug the same hard drives in at any of a number of pcs at work which use windows xp. Any ideas on why this is happening only with windows 7? I'm also getting a lot of disconnects and reconnects on these devices but again only on windows 7.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give...

DR

A:"Check Disk for Errors" & "hard drive needs to be formatted" errors

Welcome

I would do the ck disk. If you still get the notices, I would be concerned about HD failure. Take the HD diagnosis.
http://www.carrona.org/hddiag.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/91900-check-disk-errors-hard-drive-needs-formatted-errors.html
Relevancy 100.19%

Hi All I am new to this ext. hard mixer and detect USB available" "There are drive doesn't devices active no community and this "There are no active mixer devices available" and USB doesn't detect ext. hard drive is the first time i am posting My computer doesn t show volume control in system tray and Audio is completely gone When I tried to get that from accessories it gives me a message that there are no active mixer devices available and tells me to go to control panel and add hardware Let me tell you what I have done so far I ran msconfig and found quot Windows Audio quot and it was okay since there was check mark besides it Alternately I ran SystemRoot system services msc which takes me to the same place and everything seems okay Then in control panel - sounds and audio devices - volume tab completely grayed out on audio and voice tab it says the default device is modem line play back I don t know why and same thing for sound recording I have been working on this for days but can t figure out Any kind of help will be greatly appreciated And also none of my USB seems working and doesn t detect any connections like my external hard drive Hoping "There are no active mixer devices available" and USB doesn't detect ext. hard drive to hear some solution Thanks nbsp

A:"There are no active mixer devices available" and USB doesn't detect ext. hard drive

Sometimes, it takes a reformat and reinstall to get things working. Others here will have solutions that will sometimes work temporarily. But the complete reformat and reinstall is the most reliable, we have found.
Do you use a USB printer - scan - fax - copier? We find that there is some sort of relationship with this problem you describe, and certain Epson, HP, and Lexmark multifunction printers and USB failures. In those cases, a total uninstall and removal from the registry, then reinstall from downloads seems to be a good fix. In others, the multi-function printer never works right again.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/there-are-no-active-mixer-devices-available-and-usb-doesnt-detect-ext-hard-drive.70291/
Relevancy 99.76%

Hi there
This is an IE only issue.
Every time I go to intranet in IE - on first request IE shows "Please come back later" - refreshing works fine - how to fix so it shows on first request
Any help on fixing this will be appreciated.
Thanks.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/4f2bc333-5681-4ed9-8ce7-8df880e5db66/every-time-i-go-to-intranet-in-ie-on-first-request-ie-shows-quotplease-come-back-laterquot-?forum=ieitprocurrentver
Relevancy 99.76%

Newbie here. I have searched around for a while but have not found a post with my exact situation.

I just installed a new Seagate Momentus 500gb (7200rpm) SATA drive in my Lenovo X61 laptop and have been working on a installation of Windows7 Ultimate.

Not realizing this was an upgrade install disk, I tried to install Win7. I didn't know about the clean install method, so I started over with an installation of WinXP (slipstreamed to deal with the SATA drive).

Next, I ran the Custom Installation upgrade to Win7.

So far, it seems to be working ok.

However, the Local Drive is D: instead of C:. The System Reserved drive in labeled C:. Should I be concerned? Should/Can I change this?

Attached are screenshots of Disk Management and explorer window.

Thank you for any info.
-Nate

A:"System Reserved (C:)" and "Local Disk (D:)" ??

Try removing the System Reserved drive letter in Disk Management to see if Win7 claims C instead. It sometimes works.

There is no reason you can't operate with Win7 as D even though it is meant to always assume the C letter unless it's installer is run from another OS.

But if you do I would not allow a drive letter for SysReserved as programs can write to and corrupt it, especially the ability to make Win7 backup images.

Now that you know you can clean install Win7 without needing XP on the HD, I would strongly consider booting the installer to do a Custom install, choose Drive Options to Delete all partitions, Create new as you wish, then Format before installing to first partition after SysReserved it will create for you. The installer will see an OS at boot to allow use of Upgrade version key upfront during install.

Here are tips to get a perfect reinstall - use the ones which apply: Clean Reinstall steps

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/179878-system-reserved-c-local-disk-d.html
Relevancy 99.33%

I ve been getting the quot delayed write failed quot error message every time I try to backup a DVD with DVD Shrink to my externail USB hard drive I ve backed up a good on shrink during failed" "delayed external write dvd hard drive many DVDs this way and haven t had "delayed write failed" during dvd shrink on external hard drive this problem before Meanwhile I continue to be "delayed write failed" during dvd shrink on external hard drive able to copy other somewhat smaller files MB vs GB in DVD Shrink to the drive without any trouble When the error message appears it seems that the computer suddenly no longer recognizes anything on the external drive Sometimes it still recognizes that the drive is there even tells me how much space is used up on it but when I look at the files in Windows Explorer the files show up as empty or not at all When I try to safely unplug the drive I m told there s a problem with ejecting the drive that it can t be stopped right now I ve waited for several hours to be allowed to stop it but keep getting the same message I usually turn off the computer and finally unplug it When I plug it back in it sometimes autoplays and all the files are there sometimes it s not recognized at all until I unplug and plug it back in repeatedly I ve looked online and there are so many people having problems with that error message I can t make heads or tails of the issue The only thing I ve tried from the Microsoft site is that I turned cache writing off for the external drive not the internal one under policies which I thought is supposed to make it possible to unplug without all the hassle but it s solved neither the quot delayed write failure quot nor the problem ejecting it once it fails I ve looked at my Event Viewer and the only thing that looks like it could be related under Applications are a couple of Warnings right as I m rebooting with quot Userenv quot under Source and quot quot under Event Under Description in its Properties it says quot Windows saved user XPLAPTOP user registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off The memory used by the user s registry has not been freed The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use This is often caused by services running as a user account try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account quot I have a lot of warnings under System in the Event Viewer that look like they were during the time I tried to backup the DVD Most of them are quot quot under Event quot disk quot or quot cdrom quot under Source with Properties Description saying quot An error was detected on device Device Harddisk D or quot Device CdRom quot during a paging operation quot There is also Source quot ftdisk quot Event quot quot saying quot The system failed to flush data to the transaction log Corruption may occur quot These two happen right before Source quot ntfs quot Event quot quot quot Delayed Write Failed Windows was unable to save all the data for the file The data has been lost This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection Please try to save this file elsewhere quot In the popup it specified the file quot E Mft quot And there is one Error in the midst of all of that today Source quot sr quot Event quot quot quot The System Restore filter encountered the unexpected error xC E while processing the file change log on the volume HarddiskVolume It has stopped monitoring the volume quot All that s quite over my head The only things that are different from previous times I ve backed up DVDs on the drive is that the drive was recently finally put into an enclosure I m using it at someone else s house and it was accidentally unplugged without the safe remove feature a few days ago but I think I may have had the problem right before that already - I m not sure I ve wondered if it s only a matter of a wonky cable connections either the outlet str... Read more

A:"delayed write failed" during dvd shrink on external hard drive

I would upgrade the Laptop ram to 512 or a gig, see if the problem stops.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/delayed-write-failed-during-dvd-shrink-on-external-hard-drive.888653/
Relevancy 99.33%

After I finished transferred some files across from external hard drive to laptop and I used a picture from external hard drive as my background desktop but when I tried to click "Safely "remove it said there were programs running yet I have nothing transferring/connecting from external hard drive to laptop then I unplugged the USB device.

I did noticed when I removed the external hard drive my background picture was gone when I went to change themes, I'm worried so Can this damage to the laptop/external hard drive or corrupt software

A:I unplugged my external hard drive without "Safely Remove" Can this da

That thing about programs using the drive happens a lot with my Toshiba lappy.
Unless you've changed any of the default hardware policies for the external drive (most of them won't even allow you to), unplugging without ejecting should not be a problem. Nevertheless, whenever you are unable to eject, it is better to wait till you turn off the computer before unplugging.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
J

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/276766-i-unplugged-my-external-hard-drive-without-safely-remove-can-da.html
Relevancy 99.33%

I just put about gigs of data on this drive It's an gig drive and has about gigs of space left on it before it's full Out of all the files I cut and pasted over after drive be hard External to reboot "needs a suddenly formatted" it got stuck on this last ISO file it refused to move this file so i stopped the move operation and rebooted I never had any trouble with this drive It's a drive that is hooked up via a USB port On reboot to try to copy or move the file again Windows tells me this drive cannot be accessed and needs to be formatted before it can be used That's not an option or I'll lose tons of months worth of data The drive is pretty warm I'm letting it cool down to try again but i cant see any reason why this drive could have been damaged just moving files to it Any ideas of other reasons why windows might erroneously fail to detect the drive properly and give me this error

A:External hard drive suddenly "needs to be formatted" after a reboot

Hello mate, perhaps checking the HDD will tell you something.

Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/249395-external-hard-drive-suddenly-needs-formatted-after-reboot.html
Relevancy 99.33%

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Home Premium Service Pack bit Processor Intel R Pentium R CPU P GHz Intel Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card Intel R HD Graphics Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - "my passport" on WD hard SmartWare software external drive MB D Total - MB Free - MB G WD SmartWare software on "my passport" external hard drive Total - MB Free - MB H Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard LENOVO MoutCook Antivirus avast Antivirus Updated and Enabled Am I embarrassed I have had external drive for backup and to have an image on it But I am so dense that I don t know how to restore I have the manual which tells me to go to the quot welcome quot screen but I can t open any screens of the software The software is WD SmartWare software on "my passport" external hard drive WD SmartWare These are the files in the folder Should I start all over by hitting the exe file Any ideas I m getting paranoid knowing that my external hard drive backup is useless to me because WD SmartWare software on "my passport" external hard drive I don t know how to restore thanks nbsp

A:WD SmartWare software on "my passport" external hard drive

heyya americamba, I'm going to close this one up, as you have another one in hardware at http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/1118901-my-passport-external-drive-wwd.html, and that one is in the correct forum.

thanks for understanding.

v

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wd-smartware-software-on-my-passport-external-hard-drive.1118902/
Relevancy 99.33%

I recently bought a Western Digital firewire/USB 2.0 combo drive for my Dell laptop running Windows XP Home edition. It worked fine once. When I went to use it again it would not register in "My Computer." It is recognized in device manager and no conflicts appear. There are no new/rolled back drivers available. In Disk Management in Console it appears but shows a large portion of unallocated space. Uninstalling and reinstalling does not work.

Could there be a corrupt Windows file? Does anyone have any suggestions?

A:external hard drive not recognized in Windows XP "My Computer"

If it shows unallocated space (how much?), then the drive should be partitioned and the partitions formatted.

What sizes are we talking about? Unallocated space will not appear in My Computer, but only partitions that are formatted and ready to use.

If you have TweakUI or other tweakers, be sure that the drive is not hidden from My Computer.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-not-recognized-in-windows-xp-my-computer.213264/
Relevancy 99.33%

Hello A friend of mine s father hard be Urgent *Help External data "Needs reformatted" drive to passed away suddenly and she gave me an external hard drive to try and retrieve pictures from for his funeral this upcoming Thursday she said it malfunctioned when it was knocked over and fell a few hours ago I *Help Urgent External hard drive data "Needs to be reformatted" tried it with the case still on and Windows wouldn t even recognize it so I took apart the *Help Urgent External hard drive data "Needs to be reformatted" case of the external drive and removed the SATA WD Desktop drive to my Hard Drive reader it shows the Drive under the letter F and says quot The F Drive needs to be reformatted before any access quot Is there anyway I can retrieve the data from this drive with the current tools I have Drive reader along with a potential program perhaps or will they need to escalate this to a data recovery place that takes the platter completely out and retrieves the information that way I am using Windows Bit and this drive reader is pretty good never let me down in the past I m just stuck Thanks nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-urgent-external-hard-drive-data-needs-to-be-reformatted.1169679/
Relevancy 99.33%

So I have a Windows bit desktop with external hard drives that have shared over my network so I can view the files on my laptop win bit and watch movies and such "Incorrect drive external Function" Cant share Hard on my xbox via windows media Cant share external Hard drive "Incorrect Function" center I recently purchased a WD Elements TB external Hard Drive I connect the new drive to my Cant share external Hard drive "Incorrect Function" desktop along with the other external hard drives and functions with no problems until I try to share it on my network My procedure for sharing was opening my computer right clicking on the hard drive clicking share with advanced sharing in the sharing tab advanced sharing again click the share this folder box and hitting apply And I get this error quot An error occurred while trying to share G Incorrect function The shared resource was not created at this time quot I was however able to add the new external hard drive to my media library in windows media center so my xbox can see the new hard drive no problem So now I need to get the drive on the network so I can see it on my laptop Whats more If I disconnect the hard drive from my desktop and connect it to my laptop it will let me share it and I can see it from my desktop Baffles me Any help or ideas on this would be greatly appreciated Thanks

A:Cant share external Hard drive "Incorrect Function"

I see you have the same issue as I do and are getting about the same help I have been getting, NONE
We will probably find out "Microsoft" will want to charge us extra if we want to share more than one way, they give us ONE free sharing but not 2 without more money.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/262510-cant-share-external-hard-drive-incorrect-function.html
Relevancy 99.33%

So I have a pretty hard loading. infinite External or drive "hanging" well not old but it's not a product they carry anymore external hard drive and I had some issues with it in the past mainly the usb port not being soldered on properly and falling off so I just received all my replacement cords for it and ran it it took forever for it to load up External hard drive "hanging" or infinite loading. which I felt was understandable seeing as there's like GB on it but when I go to like drag one item from it it'll take more than minutes and if I cancel it it just loads and loads and loads I don't know what it's doing External hard drive "hanging" or infinite loading. but when it's like that I can't do anything with it and to actually make it browse-able again I have to force a shut down hold the power button And External hard drive "hanging" or infinite loading. the files I am trying to move are just MB so they shouldn't even be taking this long I have quite a few files I wish to save otherwise I'd just format the whole thing but I can't when it just hangs onto the loading Is there a way for me to save these files I tried to upload them a hosting but it freezes when I do same with dragging the images into windows paint Please help I just tried to upload some of the pictures to mediafire and it literally froze my web browser nbsp nbsp Quote Originally Posted by notsotechsavvy I stand corrected apparently this portable hard drive is not done frustrating me just yet Pretty sure I forgot to mention what portable hard drive I have and here it is The problem I'm having now is that I managed to save the files I needed from it and I formatted it just a few moments ago but now if I access say like a picture or a video from my hard drive there is only one file there so there is absolutely NO reason for this hard drive to be slow it will take forever for it to load open my windows picture preview thing actually stops responding and so does any other opener That's what it's sitting at currently and will stay like that If I were to save that video onto my C drive and open it there it would not have any issues but anything has issues opening from the hard drive I have to often restart it so it stops loading and so I can use explorer without it not responding I figured maybe I don't have the drivers or something so I went to the Seagate website and downloaded their driver software thing it allowed me to check my hard drive for any issues and such It came up clean and apparently my hard drive is functioning properly So I don't have an answer for this Allow me to show you what my Windows Media Player currently looks like and how it'll stay until I force my computer to restart

A:External hard drive "hanging" or infinite loading.

Fill out all of the System Specs in the lower left hand corner of your message. If we know what is in your PC it will help to better figure out the problem.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/314126-external-hard-drive-hanging-infinite-loading.html
Relevancy 99.33%

I have -- quot had quot Erasure Hard Clicking and External Noises Drive: "Zero" -- two SimpleTech external hard drives One I purchased last year G and it worked perfectly But it had an adaptor and I was getting tired of all the wires cluttering my small computer desk so I External Hard Drive: "Zero" Erasure and Clicking Noises wanted to buy an external hard drive powered by USB only So last week I bought a Signature Mini also by SimpleTech that was capable of being powered by USB After formatting it MS-DOS following the instructions to prep it for use on both Macs and PCs I transferred all my files from the old drive to the new drive Then since I have a Macbook I used Disk Utility gt Zero All Data to erase all the data from my old drive -- data which had successfully transferred to my new drive I planned to give this old drive to my dad Using my other laptop which has Windows XP I began to download some of my data from an online storage website that is going to shut down in about a month I downloaded these files directly into my new external hard drive and left the download running overnight The next morning the download was finished so I unplugged the new drive and plugged it back into my MacBook The new drive began making clicking noises and it wasn t showing up on my desktop I immediately knew that these noises meant an internal hardware problem so I unplugged the drive immediately Since then I have occasionally plugged the new drive in just to see if the problem possibly corrected itself but it still makes clicking noises and refuses to be recognized All I care about is my data So I have two questions Can I somehow recover my files from my old drive even though it was erased through quot zero quot erasure How can I repair my new drive Should I ship it to a repair company bring it to Best Buy or another technological store shop or should I put it in the freezer I ve been doing my research I can t believe that my new drive is doing this to me because I treated it with care for the hours that it worked since I knew from experience that banging it or tilting it while it was on could damage and rattle the internal parts So I know I m not to blame gt lt This is ridiculous Thank you for your time and help I am just looking for some expert advice nbsp

Relevancy 99.33%

Help - Please nbsp My Desktop Past "Locked" External Hard Reboot Can't Drive decided to install the Windows updates to my Windows environment -- oh the joys nbsp Nothing but trouble ever since nbsp I uninstalled to take me back to Upon reboot all was fine for a day nbsp Then black screen with a cursor nbsp What Can't Reboot Past External "Locked" Hard Drive the heck nbsp Can't Reboot Past External "Locked" Hard Drive I checked all the things I was told to check I ran all the diagnostics nbsp I uninstalled reinstalled did a system restore back to before the update After spending hours letting my system go thru the recommended ePSA Preboot System Assessment All Tests Passed - Today I have a system that I can t get to boot up because it says I have Status nbsp Oxc f quot The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible quot I m not a computer geek nbsp I can t get thru to anyone at Dell nbsp I ve been trying to resolve this for days now nbsp The only thing I can think that is happening is that the computer is trying to boot from an external hard drive that is in a quot locked password protected quot mode on my system nbsp I have no idea how to bypass this nbsp I ve tried unhooking the drive and rebooting and then it just goes back to black screen with a cursor Can anyone help me nbsp Please

A:Can't Reboot Past External "Locked" Hard Drive

Hi DEAR64,
Thank you for writing to Dell Community Forum.
Please check if you can boot into safe mode <F8>.
Do you have the OEM Operating system DVD?
Please private message us the service tag of the system along with your email id (Note: please don't mention the service tag or email id on the public forum as it contains your personal information).

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19983366
Relevancy 99.33%

Hi All I want to format my external hard drive into Drive "Shrink Grayed Volume" - Out External Hard two partitions so that I can use one of them as a recovery drive for my Windows PC and the other one for my personal data I am using Windows It is a TB WD Elements hard drive currently formatted into "Shrink Volume" Grayed Out - External Hard Drive one exFAT partition It is about half full I don't want to delete the partition and then "Shrink Volume" Grayed Out - External Hard Drive create two new ones because I have nowhere to backup the files currently on the drive So I want to shrink the existing partition and then create a new smaller partition but for some reason I can't do that in Windows Disk Management When I right-click on the drive E The option quot shrink drive quot is grayed as shown in the screenshot Does anybody know why this could be When I right-click on "Shrink Volume" Grayed Out - External Hard Drive my Windows C drive this option is not grayed out I tried doing the same thing using Partition Wizard but I had the same problem - the quot split quot option along with a whole lot of others is grayed out Also another strange thing which might help you to understand In Partition Wizard when I right-click on my external hard drive E and click properties it shows that the hard drive is full first screenshot even though Windows File Explorer shows that it still has about GB of free space second screenshot Why does Partition Wizard and obviously Windows Disk Management as well think that the disk is full Any help on this would be greatly appreciated Thanks William

A:"Shrink Volume" Grayed Out - External Hard Drive

You cannot shrink a FAT disk. Shrinking is only supported with NTFS. You have no choice but to backup your data and re-initialize it as NTFS.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/57106-shrink-volume-grayed-out-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 99.33%

Let me apologize in advance if this is Drive on "Delayed Failed" External Write Hard the incorrect place to post this query - I ve seen other similar issues posted in quot Hardware quot so I "Delayed Write Failed" on External Hard Drive m hoping I m in the right area I ve seen this issue posted before and I ve Googled my heart out but I still haven t been able to find answers to my exact problem I have a GB Western Digital MyBook external hard drive which holds all of my music files as well as back-ups of movies and pictures Whenever I plug it in I don t have ten seconds before I get the quot Delayed Write Failed quot error message and if I happen to be in Explorer at the time it freezes I ve also got Windows XP on my Dell Inspiron laptop if that s relevant I got the error message two days ago for the first time while trying to import a cd using iTunes It imported the first two songs on the album before giving me the error Since then I haven t been able to use the drive at all and when trying to get files from it I ve gotten errors saying the path was incorrect as if the hard drive weren t plugged in I tried using the hard drive yesterday on my dad s IBM laptop also running XP and had no problems sifting through the files in Explorer however opening a movie in Windows Media Player caused that program to freeze Today I plugged it into the IBM laptop again and tried the same previous album in iTunes but this time it didn t get past the first song before it gave me the quot Delayed Write Failed quot error This confirms my suspicions of it being possibly a connection problem with the hard drive but my question is quot Why quot and does this mean I need an entirely new hard drive I ve tried defragging virus scans etc but I m never able to keep the drive working properly long enough for either of them to complete When it comes to drivers and connections I haven t got a clue what I m doing so I was hoping someone could guide me in a general direction I was given great help on this forum once before when I had a virus problem so fingers crossed that some lovely person is daring enough to work with me again and figure this out Thank you very very much in advance nbsp

A:"Delayed Write Failed" on External Hard Drive

Check for malware. Also, a delayed write failure is this:

this is how external drives work with xp:

1. you tell a file to be copied to the ed (external drive)
2. Windows checks the file size and compares it to the free space on the ed.
3 Windows allocutes the space needed and queues segments of the file to be copied. (usually 1 file = 1 segment)
4. Windows starts copying segments to the drive in order of the queue.
5. the files finish and the transfer completes.

The delayed write failure is when one of the queued segments fails to copy.
This could be because of the hard drive failing so check for hdd errors but its more likely a windows issue.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/delayed-write-failed-on-external-hard-drive.688280/
Relevancy 99.33%

I have an older 80 gig WD external hard drive that has worked fine until this morning when I turned on my computer and it wasnt showing up when I looked in my computer. So I went into device manage and it says this "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"

I tried unistalling, and then plugging it back in. I tried looking for updates. Anything I could think of, but still not able to access anything. It has ALL my music on it and I really really want to be able to get to it.

If I cant get it to work is it possible to transfer data from this one to a new one??

Relevancy 99.33%

Hello 7Forums Guru's. I've never used external media and am trying to decide on a partition scheme for data storage (ISO's, music, pictures about 100-150 gb) and to store weekly backups, system image etc) but before I even start on that end, should my external HDD (Seagate Backup Plus 1 TB) be set to active? The drive was completely plug & play and showed up in Disk Management as "Active"

Please advise this relative n00b.

Attachment 331314

A:New Seagate External Hard Drive Marked "Active"

Only a partition from which one boots needs to be active and going by this dictum there is absolutely no need for a partition on an external drive to be active. Though an active partition on an external drive should not matter it is always safe to have only the booting Partition as active.

You can turn a partition active or inactive using diskpart.

Start > All Programs > Accessories > Right click on Command Prompt and Run as administrator.

Then:

Be sure to select the correct external disk and partition.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/343655-new-seagate-external-hard-drive-marked-active.html
Relevancy 99.33%

I recently had to replace my vista Home Premium operating system. I have my photograph stored on two external hard drives. I am able to access the music and documents on the external hard drive, but not the photographs. When I try to open a folder I am given the message that I do not have "permission to access this folder". How can I be granted that permission to ALL the photo folders ( app 50) on that hard drive at the same time? Very aggravating situation !!!

A:how do I get "permission to access a folder" on an external hard drive

Originally Posted by rosemaryheller

I recently had to replace my vista Home Premium operating system. I have my photograph stored on two external hard drives. I am able to access the music and documents on the external hard drive, but not the photographs. When I try to open a folder I am given the message that I do not have "permission to access this folder". How can I be granted that permission to ALL the photo folders ( app 50) on that hard drive at the same time? Very aggravating situation !!!

One tutorial that might help you :
Permission : note - it applies to both Vista and Win 7
Sharing and Permissions - Windows 7 Forums

By the way, is this the message you saw ?

If yes, what would happen if you clicked Continue ?

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/292089-how-do-i-get-permission-access-folder-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 99.33%

First of all I'd like to say hello to everyone on this forum, this will be my first thread/post.

I'm usually the go to guy for my friends for simple computer problems, and my friend came to me today with a problem I just can't figure out.

She received an external 230 gb HDD for christmas and then tried to install her Sim expansions onto it. She gets the message
"Cannot install to the selected directory, because it may cause the system to become unstable"

After googling this issue for about 30 minute I found this is the case for other games as well, but none of these searches yielded any kind of answer of how to get passed this, or why this happens.

As far as I know, her XP HDD is NFTS as well as the external HDD. Has anyone had this problem with The Sims?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-sims-expansions-unstable.665025/
Relevancy 99.33%

My TB Western Digital External hard disc is not working My laptop switched off suddenly while copying files After restarted my laptop when I try to open my External hard disc drive G I m getting the message as quot Location is not available G is not accessible The drive cannot find the sector requested quot The Properties of the drive shows as Type Local Disk File system Used space bytes Free space bytes when clicking My computer- gt Manage- gt Disk Management under Storage in left find External cannot not drive - "The requested" the is hard working disc sector side I can able to see my External hard disc drive G The "The drive cannot find the sector requested" - External hard disc is not working File System shows as quot RAW quot before it was NTFS Free as but I got around TB data Also I checked in different laptops but it shows the same error And finally I checked with quot Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows quot it passed the test I m so afraid about my datas stored in the hard disc All my projects photos and many important files stored in that hard disc I dont know what the problem is I cant find any solutions in Internet Please help me to solve this problem Thanks in advance nbsp

A:"The drive cannot find the sector requested" - External hard disc is not working

Hey Allen. I would call Western Digital support and see what they say.Since you have data on it you need, I wouldn't play around with it, get some answers from the drive makers, and as is always said, have important data backed up in at least 2 different places, with at least one being to CD/DVD.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/the-drive-cannot-find-the-sector-requested-external-hard-disc-is-not-working.197220/
Relevancy 99.33%

Hi
Windows XP PC is extremely sluggish and makes a loud whirring noise, so bought a Seagate external hard drive. I inadvertantly moved the "my documents" folder on to it and now cannot open the folder without the hard drive plugged in. how do I move it back to its original home? It hasn't exactly stopped the extremely slow way the PC opens any file or even surfing the net. Please help!

A:Solved: accidentally moved "my documents" folder to external hard drive

Restore the My Documents Folder to Its Default Location
To restore the My Documents folder to its default location, follow these steps:
Click Start, and then point to My Documents.
Right-click My Documents, and then click Properties.
Click Restore Default, and then click OK.
In the Move Documents box, click Yes to move your documents to the new location, or click No to leave your documents in the original location.
Let me know if that works.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-accidentally-moved-my-documents-folder-to-external-hard-drive.922858/
Relevancy 98.9%

Hello,

I am connecting a 640GB Samsung G2 Portable External Hard Drive to my HP Pavilion 15 Laptop.
The external hard drive works on other desktop and laptop computers here at work, but when connected to the HP Pavilion (Windows 8.1 OS) it shows up as a Local Disk (H: but when trying to Open the drive it says:
?Location Not Available H:\ is not accessible The device is not ready.?
What should I do?
Assistance is much appreciated...

A:External Hard Drive - Error - "Location not Available"

Welcome to Windows EightForums, jhnel.

Is the drive in the correct format?

Windows key + X > Choose Disk Management. It should tell you format and partition info there.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/40470-external-hard-drive-error-location-not-available.html
Relevancy 98.9%

I recently updated to Windows 10 anniversary and now I can't find my Western Digital external hard drive in My computer. The PC recognizes it as:
click here in Disk management it's recognized as:
click here not empty and has data inside it. Only after the anniversary update this problem happened and shows it empty in the Disk management. When I right-click on the external hard drive in the "volume" section; all options are grayed out except for "Help"
Is there any idea how to solve this?
and
It's

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forum/helproom-1/cant-find-external-hard-drive-quotmy-computerquot-4600410/
Relevancy 98.9%

I have recently re-installed Windows XP which consequently reformat my hard disk. When I plug in my external hard disk USB (which was working fine prior formatting the PC), it does not shows up in 'My Computer'.

When checking Device Manager, the device is working properly. I have verified on Disk Management, the external hard disk is there but with no Drive letters and paths, it mention "unallocated". It does not allow me to give it a drive letter.

During the re-installation on Windows, the external HD was connected to My PC.

The external HD is an Apollo 2.5" portable hard drive 250GB.

On the "USB device properties", under volume tab, the partition style is: Master Boot Record, capacity:238,473 MB, Unallocated space: 238,473 MB, Reserved space: 0 MB and status: Online

Can anyone help me on the above issue. I have some important data on it. Has the disk been erased?

A:My external hard drive does not show up in "My Computer"

Did you install all of your motherboard drivers, chipset, LAN, sound, graphics, etc. after installing Windows?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-external-hard-drive-does-not-show-up-in-my-computer.150186/
Relevancy 98.9%

A few days ago, I installed a game on my external hard drive. At the time, the hard drive was assigned the "F:" directory. They other day, I plugged a video camera into my computer before the external hard drive making the camera "F:" and the hard drive "G:".

The game won't work while the hard drive is assigned to "G:". I've removed the camera, there are no other USB devices plugged in (except my mouse which doesn't have any storage capacity) but still when I plug in the hard drive, it goes back to "G:".

I've tried plugging it into different sockets, logging off the computer, restarting the computer, but still, it goes back to "G:".

Why is this happening and how can I get it back to "F:"?

Thanks.

A:Solved: Can't get external hard drive to be assigned to "F:"

Never mind, I've got it working.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-cant-get-external-hard-drive-to-be-assigned-to-f.915985/
Relevancy 98.9%

I was curious if say you want to replace laptops hard drive, is it possible to do this with an external hard drive like a goflex 1tb external? or is that only for cloning/backupWindows 10 OS dell inspiron 7737

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,158272.0.html
Relevancy 98.9%

My laptop stopped booting You can read about it here http forums techguy org windows-nt- -xp -autochk-error-c -bsod-recovery html I ve reached a dead end on on trying to *now* "Access on hard external Denied" drive restore the OS so I took the hard drive out of my Gateway Laptop which was running Windows XP Media Center "Access Denied" on *now* external hard drive Edition and placed in an external enclosure so I can access it via USB from a "Access Denied" on *now* external hard drive computer that will boot I booted another notebook running XP Home into safemode so I could take ownership of the Administrator folder in Documents and Settings via the security tab as described in this Microsoft Help and Support article here http support microsoft com default aspx scid kb en-us Now I can see the documents in the Administrator profile but I can not access or copy them Also when I open My Music I can see all the folders for individual artists but when I try to open the folder I get the quot Access Denied quot message that I got before I took ownership "Access Denied" on *now* external hard drive of the Administrator folder What s worse I can t use the security tab to take ownership of those files and folders in My Documents because everything is greyed out Help nbsp

A:"Access Denied" on *now* external hard drive

Sounds like you may have taken ownership of the folders, but not the contents of the folders or subfolders. Go back to the ownership page and be sure to check the box about all child objects. Being grayed out means that that file's permissions are inherited from a superfolder, so you need to change them there.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/access-denied-on-now-external-hard-drive.716557/
Relevancy 98.9%

Hi everyone, my situation was expressed earlier and now that Western Digital Support (a guy named Danny, that had a very thick accent and supervisor w/ even thicker) has $14.95 of my dollars. I need help!

BRIEFING: Western Digital External Drive can't access, found I'm not the only one. Forum suggested an adapter, but that was for laptops. Did research, sucks to be me is basicaly what I found.
So, I read a hint of making an External's HD into internal hard drive, and placing it in your PC.

<There are many tutorials here and the www to learn how to install, so I won't bother any of you with that.>

QUESTION: The Hard Drive I wish to install is from an external case, it has very important data on it and if I put it into my PC, will I lose the data or can I just browse it like before?

A:Solved: Installing "EXTERNAL'S" Hard Drive...?

providing that the drive itself isn't the part that is bad, then you should be able to acces it as an internal the way you do other drives. This of course depends on the drive itself and your interface. If it is an IDE Drive you would need an open IDE connector in your computer. If Sata then you would need an open sata connection. That being said, you should not lose any data installing it as an internal.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-installing-externals-hard-drive.798780/
Relevancy 98.9%

As this question was never answered I ll post it verbatim with my own comments below See original post here http forums techguy org windows-vista -flash-drive-s-active-light html In all "active" doesn't when off Vista turn drive's removed" light Flash in "safely operating systems up Flash drive's "active" light doesn't turn off in Vista when "safely removed" to Vista the flash drive s quot active quot light turns off when I go Flash drive's "active" light doesn't turn off in Vista when "safely removed" through the disconnect procedure but in Vista it doesn t I have traditionally used this as part of my explanation to others and a convenience to myself about when to not to remove the flash drive from its USB port This is a problem common to all Vista systems I ve seen Why does the light not turn off in Vista And is there an easy way to correct Flash drive's "active" light doesn't turn off in Vista when "safely removed" this Additional information I have eliminated this problem being hardware-related I have loaded Vista onto one of my systems here that previously had Windows then XP on it and it was only with the loading of Vista that the problem developed on this system Just to be absolutely sure I did a restore of a previous image of Windows and the problem went away again I put Vista back on and the problem came back So this is strictly a Vista problem Click to expand I have had the same problem with every Vista system I have used and every flash drive note this means SSD NAND flash not HDD s or card adapters AS the last discussion degraded into useless questions about hardware and other OS s let s get a confirmation that someone out there actually has a flash drive that turns its active light off when safely removed in Vista If not can anyone answer the questions below Why would they change this from all previous OS versions Why does the quot safe to remove quot have a confirmation box that must be OK d when XP merely played a set sound Is this just another backwards step windows is taking to justify quot improvements quot with the next version nbsp

A:Flash drive's "active" light doesn't turn off in Vista when "safely removed"

have done a litte research and testing in my lab on several machines and have confirmd the problem. What it seems to indicate to me is that, in Vista, the light simply indicates power, not data transfer. Whenever I am transferring data, the light blinks.

While I have never actually tested it, I do not belive that the "safely remove" feature actually kills all power to the USB port in XP. If that is the case, then there is really no danger as long as vista has acknowledged the disconnect and knows not to try to write data to the drive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/flash-drives-active-light-doesnt-turn-off-in-vista-when-safely-removed.776056/
Relevancy 98.47%

My external Seagate drive is apparently "dirty" and windows automatically checks it every time i boot up with it attached to the usb port. It is actually pretty annoying. The only way around it that I found is actually unplugging it before I boot up and plugging it back in after windows starts.

Every time the check says there are no issues. The drive works fine and I am able to use the drive as if nothing is wrong.

Does anyone know whow to get rid of the check during Windows startup? How can I make my drive "clean" again? Thanks

EDIT: I have Windows XP sp3 btw

A:External hard drive is "dirty" and windows runs a check every time computer boots up

You may need to run a manual chkdsk /f to clear it. Try this
> Unplug the drive then boot up then plug it back in. Determine its drive letter
> Start->Run, enter cmd to open a command prompt
> Enter chkdsk x: /f (except use the correct drive letter, not x)

/f option may take loong time complete (especially if large hard drive.. i.e hours) but when it's done i believe it should clear the dirty bit for you

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-is-dirty-and-windows-runs-a-check-every-time-computer-boots-up.156426/
Relevancy 98.47%

yesterday when i plug my external hard drive, it was located in the local disk part and not in the removable devices. how can i change it back to removable?

A:External hard drive is shown as local disk

What type of Hard Drive is it? Make, and Model.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/external-hard-drive-is-shown-as-local-disk-701686.html
Relevancy 98.04%

I sometimes switch hard drives between computers As far as I know this is not a drive with an OS on it-- just data files I plugged it in after it was unused in another computer for quite a while The drive shows up in Device Manager has a drive letter assigned and is listed in the BIOS When I click on it in Drive disk "The is in not formatted" Files Hard Gone D drive Solved: My Computer to see the contents I get the following message quot The disk in drive D is not formatted quot quot Do you want to format it now quot When I look at the Disk Properties page for that drive--the file system says RAW Before I try a program to recover files from it--I seem to remember that it could be a Master Boot Record MBR problem on the drive The files should still be there--just the locators and pointers to files and folders directories are missing--such as drive tables Is there a Solved: Hard Drive Files Gone "The disk in drive D is not formatted" safe way to get Windows to recognize the drive contents by using a DOS command to rewrite MBR---such as FIXMBR without destroying the files on drive What DOS commands and switches should I use I have a Windows XP CD or I can use a floppy disk Is it better to try the time consuming file recovery process Solved: Hard Drive Files Gone "The disk in drive D is not formatted" first before attempting to write to the drive using DOS FIXMBR commands I will start a scan now to see if there is any recoverable data while I wait for any helpful info and replies Thank you in advance for any help that anyone can provide I am using Windows XP SP and drive is a Samsung hard drive showing Solved: Hard Drive Files Gone "The disk in drive D is not formatted" as GB RAW I ll keep checking this post frequently tonight--while I work on issue nbsp

A:Solved: Hard Drive Files Gone "The disk in drive D is not formatted"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-hard-drive-files-gone-the-disk-in-drive-d-is-not-formatted.807114/
Relevancy 98.04%

I have a Samsung s2 1tb external hard drive.

Today when I hooked it up to my laptop it would not load. It will shows local F drive when it usually will say samsung Drive.

A pop up box will then appear stating "you need to format drive"

I know if I reformat it I will lose all my data which I will not do.

When I look in device manager it states that the external hard drive is installed.

I attempted to go through start menu and type cmd then F: and it states "The volume does not recognize this system file. Please make sure all required system drivers are loaded and the volume is not corrupted."

PLEASE HELP I DONT WANT TO LOSE ALL MY FILES

A:Samsung s2 external hard drive not loading showing local disk F drive

With the external drive connected, Go to Disk Management (Start > type: "computer" > click on Computer Management > click on Disk Management)

Determine which disk is the external drive.
If the external drive shows here as a healthy volume, Right click on the large box to the right of the "Disk 1" / "Disk 2" lable and choose: Change Drive Letter and Path.

If there is nothing but a grey box or "Unallocated Space" next to the disk number then Right click on the disk number (the box) and choose: Change Drive Letter and Path.

Change the drive letter to anything else > OK.

If you can't do any of the above post back. If you can post a screen shot of the Disk Management window that can help.
Do not initialize the disk or format it or you will lose your data.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/209492-samsung-s2-external-hard-drive-not-loading-showing-local-disk-f-drive.html
Relevancy 98.04%

Hello, All.
I connected my Maxtor harddrive to my Gateway desktop (Windows XP) today. The external is not recognized by the computer. I went all thru the forum, here (how i discovered you), and no help. USB is properly connected, and I tested another device. Maxtor is ON.

I went thru and found how to go to DISK MANAGEMENT, where you could rename the harddrive, but it won't let me "highligtht the capacity area". Help! My desktop is making funny noises and I want to back up some stuff before it explodes or aliens land inside it!!! ;-) Thank you, in advance.

A:"Invisible" External Hard Drive ;-P

Test the drive on another PC to verify operation.

What is the drive status in Disk Management?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/invisible-external-hard-drive-p.1100524/
Relevancy 98.04%

Hello, I just plugged my external hard drive into my computer, and it is not showing under my computer. If I go to Device Manager it is seen there, it has the most up to date driver etc. I rebooted, thinking that may be the issue, but even after a reboot My Computer still does not see the external hard drive.

I have used it several times before for external storage and even transferred files from the device to pc and vice versa, but now it is not showing. Can someone help?!

Relevancy 98.04%

I was going to go buy a external hd from BEst Buy or CompUSA, but everything I've read on here says it's cheper and just as good to build your own. Well, when it comes to that kind of stuff I'm basically clueless. What would I need to buy?

For the casing, if I get get a smaller 2.5 or 3.5 inch one would I be limiting the amount of gigs I could put in it?

Would I need to buy a specific type of hard drive for it to fit?

What else would I need?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Relevancy 98.04%

Hi guys I m having a problem connecting my quot external quot hard drive to my laptop Now this is a complicated issue have searched a lot of forums and threads and have tried a lot of detect can't "external" hard my drive Xp different things but nothing seems to be working Here s the problem My stationary computer resently stopped working so I decided to go ahead and invest in a Hard Drive Link-in to back up what is on the internal hard drive before sending it with the stationary computer for repairs Now on this hard drive is installed a win OS on a SATA Seagate Barracude SATA and I m Xp can't detect my "external" hard drive trying to hook it up to my HP Notebook Compaq nx laptop computer - not to work as a hard Xp can't detect my "external" hard drive drive but just to access what s on it so I can back it up The problem is my win xp once having connected it at first says quot device not recognized quot but I quickly worked around that problem by entering Device Manager and selecting quot unknown device quot and uninstalling it and then click quot scan for hardware changes quot and windows quickly detects that a new usb device has been connected and that the drivers are now installed and is ready to use however nothing happens The quot external quot hard drive does not show up in quot my computer quot or under quot system quot and quot manage drives quot so it s not a hidden issue nor a drive letter issue and when I look at device manager it s still listed under USB Root as an quot Unknown Device quot and if clicking quot properties quot it says that there are no drivers installed and that s it Here s what I ve done so far - checked that all cables are connected correctly and that it has power and that it s turned on - the hard drive starts up fine when I turn the power on i e it loads up and sits and reads as if on standby which makes sense since I m not using it or accessing the data on it - tried taking the power cable out of the laptop sounds ridiculous I know but read that it worked for people with similar issues - tried clicking refresh in my computer after the scan for hardware changes has been done - tried checking out the BIOs to see if there was something there I could do So what should I do any suggestions Also could it be because there s already an OS installed on the hard drive that is newer win on it that win xp can t detect it Or does that even matter Could it be a driver issue That xp needs a driver to be able to detect the hard drive or is it a compatability issue All I want is to be able to access what s on my hard drive so I can back it up before sending it to repairs So in short I have a internal hard drive with win OS partition on it hooked up with a hard drive link-in to connect it as an external hard drive via USB to a Laptop running with a win xp professional OS and it can detect a device but it s listed as an unknown and it doesn t show up in quot my computer quot or drive management Thanks in advance nbsp

Relevancy 97.61%

I have a new Gateway laptop and all last week I was using Error" "Disk Read SATA Laptop Drive Hard it to connect to my home pc using Remote Desktop I noticed a few times that after shutting the lid to the laptop SATA Laptop Hard Drive "Disk Read Error" and walking away when I would come back and open the lid the laptop would be froozen I wonder if it was becuase I was leaving the remote desktop connection open and then the laptop would go into sleep mode and it woudnlt wake up properly Either way the only way I could unfreeze it was by restarting the lapt by forcing it to power down Well the last time it happened after I held the power button and forced a shut down when I powered it back on it said quot Disk Read Error quot I have yanked the drive and connected it via usb to my dekstop pc The drive shows up in disk management but has a red circle in the top left hand corner of the partition and doesnt show up in my computer I put the drive back in the laptop and booted of an XP CD and choose the quot repair quot option I tried to do a quot MIXMBR quot but got a return message that NO partition could be found Does anyone have any ideas how I can recover from this I have Acronis disk director suite installed on my desktop pc and I can reconnect my laptop hard drive to the desktop pc but I don t know if it can do the job Does anyone have any ideas I really can t afford to loose my data Please Help nbsp

A:SATA Laptop Hard Drive "Disk Read Error"

This thread can be closed as #1 the issues has been resolved and #2 it doesn't look like anyone will be repying anyways.

Now, in the case that someone does stumble onto this thread here is an update....
Turns out the hard drive was physically damaged (or so I'm told). Since there was sensitive data on the drive I was being extra cautious and after removing the drive and connecting to another pc and seeing the drive but not the partitions or data I didn't even try FixMBR or anythinhg else becuase I didn't want to take the chance of further damage. I took the drive to a data recovery specialst who was able (for a small fee ofcourse) to recover the data. Since the laptop is still under warranty I took it into the store I bought it and told them the sit. Tehy gave me a new hard drive on the spot and I have now restored it back to normal. Thank You all and goodnight.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sata-laptop-hard-drive-disk-read-error.637884/
Relevancy 97.61%

Hey guys I need Getting on data Error" drive "Hard SATA Disk second one of you hardware geeks to help me here I finally bought the Maxtor DiamondMax hard drive Its SATA Gig with a Meg Cache and NCQ I already Getting "Hard Disk Error" on second SATA data drive have a SATA WD Raptor as my main drive and Getting "Hard Disk Error" on second SATA data drive trying to install this one has a data drive I have an Asus PW D Premium Board When I boot up it takes a long time about a minute to do anything than I eventually get a quot Hard disc error quot and I have to hit F to continue The BIOS recognizes the drive but Windows does not I ve swapped out the cable and tried a different controller same result While I have like hard drives laying around they are all PATA--no SATAs to try I think the drive is damaged I downloaded Maxtor s PowerMax but its worthless--goes through some tests and the inital ones pass and later ones fail but its the same thing on the other drive the Raptor and that one works fine Tells me eventually to contact Maxtor Tech Support on both drives Any ideas nbsp

Relevancy 97.61%

I have 2 Sata drives installed on a Windows 7 32bit machine. Both were formatted during a clean install of Windows 7 unlimited. The primary hd is a 300gb WD and the other is a 500gb Seagate "IDE\DiskST3500418AS_CC34" is the hardware id on the second drive.

I can see both in device manager but it says both are fully updated.

P.S. I haven't found any driver from seagate online, which i think might help.

A:hard drive not displaying "my computer and disk manager"

I have resolved the problem.

I simply went to Downloads | Seagate and downloaded the DiskWizard application. Using Seagate's application, I was able to partition, allocate, and synchronize the D drive in few common sense steps.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/227359-hard-drive-not-displaying-my-computer-disk-manager.html
Relevancy 97.61%

Hi, when i boot up my other computer it is a black screen and says "Primary hard disk Drive 0 cannot be found, strike F1 to continue or F2 to enter setup utility." When i strike F1 it says something like "boot up failed press F1 to try again" what do i do? When i press F2 it takes me to a screen and Undery Hard disk drive 0 it says unkown and under hard disk drive 1 it says off.

PS. My computer also makes alot of beeping sounds all of a sudden. Plz help me What is going on? Thankyou

Relevancy 97.61%

I have a big problem here,
I have used my hard disk for 9month,
Yesterday when I watched movie on the half way,
My hard disk suddenly disfuntion,
And I thought my laptop problem due to always lagging so I restart my computer.
But after that I can't read my hard disk (WD)in my computer.
It can read in computer management there.

Ways I try:
1)I try to uninstall and reinstalled again,BUT it doesn't work.
2)I try to unchecked the hide folder and device at view.
3)I try to update the software BUT it still disfunction.
4)I try to use disk management and initialized it BUT there appeared CANNOT INITIALIZED Due to I/O device error.

Any solution for me ?

A:Hard Disk can't read in "my computer ", "initialized",I/O device error

The most usual cause is that the Hard Drive is beginning to fail. Back up your stuff. Go to the website of the manufacturer and test the drive.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/335190-hard-disk-cant-read-my-computer-initialized-i-o-device-error.html
Relevancy 97.61%

Hey all I just bought and installed a TB Seagate Barracuda LP ST AS hard drive in addition to my existing hard drive It was not detected by Windows XP although the serial number ST AS showed up in BIOS I noticed that for a split second as i started up there was a screen with the up to FAILURE" install hard "DISK BOOT drive; 2nd ended with Attempted word quot RAID Attempted to install 2nd hard drive; ended up with "DISK BOOT FAILURE" quot and instructions saying quot press ctrl I quot so i restarted pressed quot ctrl I quot and it took to me to something that said it was for the setup of a raid disk or something like that I thought quot Oh this must be where you format the new hard drive so that it will be recognised quot So i went through a very simple menu that had me select stripe size and some other features that looked very basic an un-threatening and then finished the RAID setup thing I restarted the computer and now it says DISK BOOT FAILURE INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER At that point i had a heart attack Can anybody help me I have no idea what is going on nbsp

A:Attempted to install 2nd hard drive; ended up with "DISK BOOT FAILURE"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/attempted-to-install-2nd-hard-drive-ended-up-with-disk-boot-failure.947552/
Relevancy 97.61%

My Windows configuration is relatively bullet proof ha ha nervous laughter My OS and programs are on C which I image using RDriveImage every month after Patch Tuesday My data is on software-mirrored D F drives So as long as I don't have a catastrophic event affecting my computer a routine quot drive failure quot should be recoverable with the worst-case being I'd be out a month of updates but with a good recent image of the OS drive Anyway I was recently looking at my event viewer and I have quot Disk errors quot that occur whenever I run a full image of C to when event invisible "Disk error" viewer, hard except drive imaging The complete error text is Quote Log Name System Source Disk Date PM Event ID Task Category None Level Error Keywords Classic User N A Computer xxxxxx Description The driver detected a controller error on Device Harddisk DR Event Xml lt Event xmlns "Disk error" invisible except to event viewer, when imaging hard drive quot http schemas microsoft com win events event quot gt lt System gt lt Provider Name quot Disk quot gt lt EventID Qualifiers quot quot gt lt EventID gt lt Level gt lt Level gt lt Task gt lt Task gt lt Keywords gt x lt Keywords gt lt TimeCreated SystemTime quot - - T Z quot gt lt EventRecordID gt lt EventRecordID gt lt Channel gt System lt Channel gt lt Computer gt xxxxx lt Computer gt lt Security gt lt System gt lt EventData gt lt Data gt Device Harddisk DR lt Data gt lt Binary gt E B C D D C FFFFFFFF C E A FAFFFF A FAFFFF lt Binary gt lt EventData gt lt Event gt There were two errors in February none before that three in March four each in May and July In April and June I did incremental images so the quot bad quot area wasn't imaged so no error With all the above as background what's the safest way for me to isolate and or repair the area s of the disk with the errors The errors are always logged within - seconds of each other so I suspect it's just one bad area And I have never ever seen signs of a disk error No BSOD no clicking noises no impaired performance even for a moment

A:"Disk error" invisible except to event viewer, when imaging hard drive

Try going into your BIOS to see what it has to say about the drive. Some BIOS's can read the drive's SMART status and can run tests on it. You could also download the disk manufacturer's drive diagnostics to check it out. Or see what Seatools (from Seagate) has to say about it:

SeaTools | Seagate

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/240332-disk-error-invisible-except-event-viewer-when-imaging-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 97.61%

This is kinda long and I've fixed it but could use your input So after waking up my parents informed me that the computer was shutting down randomly I turned it on and quot a "a press " restart disk ctrl+alt+del to Drive, error occurred Hard disk error occurred press ctrl alt del to restart quot appeared It's a Sata hard drive so I checked the cables to make sure they were plugged in correctly and they were and then I tried connecting it to another computer with that computers cables and that didn't work either My parents not wanting to buy one online decided to just go to bestbuy and buy one there since we already had the Windows Disk at home I formatted it partitioned it and installed Windows Home Premium on Hard Drive, "a disk error occurred press ctrl+alt+del to restart " it and everything worked I decided to connect the Hard drive that didn't work while the computer was still on and it immediately started downloading the drivers it needed and up popped all the hard drive I'm going to start transferring all the important things like music videos and games and after Hard Drive, "a disk error occurred press ctrl+alt+del to restart " all I can see are the following things after getting all the data we want off it should I reinstall Hard Drive, "a disk error occurred press ctrl+alt+del to restart " windows to see if my other computer will recognize it Even though it couldn't before format it and just use it as extra data though since it already couldn't boot up the ability to keep data on it may fail in a couple of days weeks or just put it away and not use it at all What would you guys reccomend I do

A:Hard Drive, "a disk error occurred press ctrl+alt+del to restart "

First get the data you need off it.

Then go to the mfr and get their HD testing utility and run it.

If it were me I wouldnt trust it. I have been burned before.

You certainly could use it for storage of, say one set of backups, for the chances of losing your OS HD, and that backup at the same time are nil.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/224382-hard-drive-disk-error-occurred-press-ctrl-alt-del-restart.html
Relevancy 97.61%

After Irene, we kept power and cable, but our internet went down, or so we thought. When we plug the Ethernet cable from the modem into the computer, internet works fine (I can post this, after all), but when we plug the cable from the modem into our Dell TrueMobile 2300 router, our network appears as "Local Only." The phone cable thing is plugged from the wall into the modem, and the ethernet cable goes from the modem to the router, as it has been for years. Both have power. What do I do?

Relevancy 97.61%

When I plug in my WD quot My Passport quot TB hard drive Disk, Drive External opening appearing Local Hard as not I can hear that a device has been connected but when I open explorer the name's been changed to Local Disk E and I can't perform External Hard Drive appearing as Local Disk, not opening ANY operation on it like open it check properties or scan with an antivirus I can't even eject it Also the laptop slows down considerably and internet becomes too slow to open any page I tried running quot chkdsk quot and the data recovery software quot PhotoRec quot on it but it just keeps scanning for hardware and even after leaving it for hours it got nowhere I tried opening quot Disk Management quot but even that keeps loading forever A few times after the problem started it told me to format the drive to be able to use it but now even that message doesn't come and I'm not even able to format the drive though I prefer getting all my data back but it's better than spoiling the HDD The drive is physically fine as I kept it very carefully and I can hear the smooth rotation of the disk plus there are no 'clicking' sounds coming out of it

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/381367-external-hard-drive-appearing-local-disk-not-opening.html
Relevancy 97.18%

My home CPU was working fine yesterday morning I left in on and started watching TV About an hour and a half later the power blink on and off We though nothing of it a few not disk found" drive 0 "primary hard hours later my wife attempted to use the CPU and found a blue screen with white txt on it I look at it but could not read the message because the left margin was cut off I didn t write it down either I do remember the message stating that I should restart the CPU and if the problem was still there "primary hard disk 0 drive not found" I should contact someone for help I turned the CPU off and when I turned it back "primary hard disk 0 drive not found" on the CPU made sounds we have never heard before Beep Beep pause Click The beeps occured in a rapid succesion then a pause then a click Theses noises repeat themself constantly as a white bar fills itself running from left to right at the bottom of a black screen On that same screen the CPU showed Dell s insignia on it with the words quot F Setup F Boot Menu quot at the top Then it goes to another black screen with white text showing the error message quot Primary hard disk drive not found Strike F Key to continue F to run the setup utility quot We have windows XP on the CPU It is a Dell Computer We have family photos and personal information saved on this CPU and most is not backed up Can you please help nbsp

Relevancy 97.18%

Whenever I boot the computer up, I get this right after the first windows loading screen -

Primary Hard Disk Drive 1 not found
Hit F1 to continue or F2 to enter setup

I used to have this problem every once in a great while, and my disk drive wouldn't work along with the message. Now though, everything is fine. Everything is there, everything works. Waiting for the message and hitting F1 everytime you gotta start up the computer gets annoying though, so I'd like to get to the bottom of this.

A:"Primary Hard Disk Drive 1 not found"

Boot into your bios & on the main page you will see all your installed drives, I take it you only have 1 hard drive, only leave enabled the hd you are using, and any cd/dvds & disable any others.
save & exit

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/primary-hard-disk-drive-1-not-found.419472/
Relevancy 97.18%

Hey guys.

So this morning I went to turn on the computer, everything booted up normal, but one of my drives (My external drive) is being read as having some bad sectors. Windows explorer won't open the drive, and asks to reformat it, losing over 800GB of data in the process.

I'd REALLY rather this not happen. I downloaded the demo of GetDataBack for NTFS file systems. It read the drive, and not only can it see the files, it can access them and read them no problem. As far as I can tell, everything is there, yet Windows reads it as corrupt.

I've tried this on two machines with the same result, both running Win7.

Is there any hope for it, or do I have to copy the files with GetDataBack, and reformat the drive?

A:Hard Drive "Corrupt" but files still work

Hi,

If you can use GetDataBack to copy your files off this drive, I would do that straight away.

There is a chance we can restore the disk, but right now we have no idea if it is about to fail - be safe first, get your data off it before we try anything else.

Once you have done that, post back here and we will see what we can do about that drive.

Regards,
Golden

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/135694-hard-drive-corrupt-but-files-still-work.html
Relevancy 96.75%

I have just bought a new computer with home premium vista bit write to to due not drive USB "read only" drive disk hard and Can It has all been working well until I tried to do a backup using acronius true image That was when I realised that I can not write to any Can not write to USB hard drive and disk drive due to "read only" external devise via USB Both my hard drives and a USB memory stick come up with the error quot device is write protected remove the write protection or Can not write to USB hard drive and disk drive due to "read only" use another device quot All these devices work fine on my other computers which run vista bit and windows XP I have tried using diskpart which didn't work I then tried going into the properties of the disk then going into the security tab hitting edit and clicking on allow write but says quot an error occured while applying security information E The media is write protected quot I have searched through I have an MSI P N diamond motherboard nForce i chipset with gb of ram gb WD HD GTX graphics card and Intel dual core E CPU I ahave downloaded and install all the latest vista updates and the drivers for my motherboard Any advice would be greatly appreciated Thanks for taking the time to read this James

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/197661-can-not-write-usb-hard-drive-disk-drive-due-read-only.html
Relevancy 96.32%

Hi,
I will try to explain my problem that I have although I am a novice...
I have a Toshiba laptop, 32bit Vista Home Premium.
I have had an internet connection through modem for a while, everything is good. Now I bought a Linksys WRT54G router, to be able to use the laptop with wireless. Did the setup, all was good, then suddenly no more connection.
Tried to reset the modem, the router and restart the laptop, got a connection again, but it went after 5-10 minutes, just simply stopped working. I still am connected, but it says "local only" and once "limited connectivity".
When I then connect the laptop directly to the modem with a cable, I have internet.
So the router seems fine, modem obviously, too.
What could be the problem that it always says "local only" all of a sudden, although I know there is internet???
Thanks for your help.

A:Internet works fine with modem but wireless router says "local only"

Hi Luna
Can you please tell me:~
ISP
Modem
Router
Adapter
and anything else you may find relevant. As i am looking for an answer to this one thanks...

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/213941-internet-works-fine-modem-but-wireless-router-says-local-only.html
Relevancy 96.32%

Hi,
I will try to explain my problem that I have a bit better.
I have a Toshiba laptop, 32bit Vista Home Premium.
I have had an internet connection through modem for a while, everything is good. Now I bought a Linksys WRT54G router, to be able to use the laptop with wireless. Did the setup, all was good, then suddenly no more connection.
Tried to reset the modem, the router and restart the laptop, got a connection again, but it went after 5-10 minutes, just simply stopped working. I still am connected, but it says "local only" and once "limited connectivity".
When I then connect the laptop directly to the modem with a cable, I have internet.
So the router seems fine, modem obviously, too.
What could be the problem that it always says "local only" all of a sudden, although I know there is internet???
Thanks for your help...

A:Internet with modem works but wireless router says "local only"

When connecting directly to the modem everything is fine; but when connecting through the router you lose internet access after 5-10 minutes? If so, please show for a good connection and again for when the problem occurs ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
(For Vista type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/internet-with-modem-works-but-wireless-router-says-local-only.805682/
Relevancy 96.32%

My external hard drive which ive been using for around - months has now started acting strange either that or my computer When i "bug?" Hard drive External plug in my external the safely remove thing never shows up I have tried the batch execution thing and it doesnt show up there either Its a Western Digital gb and im running XP SP if that helps Its on optimize for quick removal but that External Hard drive "bug?" doesnt stop it from writing stuff to the disk Example when i take it out i wait till the light stops flashing a error comes up saying quot Delayed Disk write quot to hard disk or something This hard drive has many of my important data that wont fit on my computer so i cant really format it or anything USB flash drives are working correctly its just external hard drives Also my external in device manager is considered a disk drive not a removable drive if that makes any difference P S if this post is in the wrong section of forums please dont delete it just move it Update hours later and now my flash drives are doing the External Hard drive "bug?" same thing So im absolutely stumped nbsp

A:External Hard drive "bug?"

You might take look through here for some things to try: See Troubleshoot: Windows Won't Recognize Your USB Hard Drive

In particular I'd start with
> Making sure you run Custom for Windows Updates. Make sure all hardware optional as well as the critical updates are installed
> Run the DriveCleanup Tool
> Try reinstalling USB controllers and motherboard chipset drivers

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-bug.140758/
Relevancy 96.32%

I'm thinking about purchasing an external hard drive with maybe 500GB of memory. I would put all my pictures, videos, and music there. I have a couple of questions though.

1. Which is a good brand to buy?

2. Will this help make my computer run faster since a big chunk of media will be on
this new hard drive? Or, is that up to my processor?

3. Is it easy to access an external hard drive? Or is a pain?

Any other helpful information/tips/drawbacks, etc. would be greatly appreciated

Relevancy 95.89%

I left clicked on Local Disk C when I opened "My Computer" and for a reason that I can't understand, I got the message: POWERPOINT VIEWER CAN'T FIND THE FILE. This is the first time that I left clicked on the Local Disk Icon and it seems that it tried to open Powerpoint. I tried with the other icons inside MY COMPUTER and the same thing hapenned: it attempts to open Powerpoint Viewer. I don't remember having this problem before and don't know how to fix the problem. I made a search and found that my C drive has the following:
C:\Program Files Powerpoint Viewer
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office
C:\Documents and Settings\all Users\Start Menu

I have Office 2003 Any suggestions as to what is happening and how to fix this problem?
Thanks, Metuquita...... Pls respond to my email address!!!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problem-with-c-local-drive-on-my-computer.608250/
Relevancy 95.89%

Hello TSG Just yesterday I was using the computer normally until I got a Blue Screen Getting a blue screen is usually something normal that occurs to my every so often so I didn t mind it and rebooted the computer normally Disk not 1 Solved: found" and problem "Drive "Floppy Failure" However I got two more blue screens within the next hour The rd time rebooting my computer starts to act strange as if it had a virus Upon powering up the monitor would just display a black screen with two lines about something --- which I don t remember sorry --- and stayed like that unless I plugged out the power cord or held on the power button to shut down Then when after a few tries it boots and displays a message quot Floppy Disk Failure quot and quot Drive not found Serial ATA SATA- quot and the same message for Drives and show up Also it asks me to continue loading by pressing the F Key When Windows loads the first time it displays a message saying a bunch of hardware has just been installed and ready for use Also Solved: "Floppy Disk Failure" and "Drive 1 not found" problem my internal clock resetted itself back to Monday November Which if I recall is the date when I got the computer and my speakers do not work TL Solved: "Floppy Disk Failure" and "Drive 1 not found" problem DR Version Solved: "Floppy Disk Failure" and "Drive 1 not found" problem blue screens within a short time Floppy disk fail Drivers - not found Serial ATA SATA- - Anyway I browsed through Google but I haven t seen anyone with both problems I disabled my Floppy Disk Drive and that message doesn t show up anymore but the others do and my computer still isn t fixed I ran a virus scan over night but I woke up to a black screen I use avast Antivirus with COMODO Firewall Is this a virus Is this because my hardware is old Here are the Specs Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack bit Processor Intel R Pentium R D CPU GHz x Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card ATI Radeon X X X Series Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard Dell Inc X CN G WL Antivirus avast Antivirus Updated Yes On-Demand Scanner Enabled nbsp

Relevancy 95.46%

i re installed my sytem with a partition off 100gb that had all my vids so normally the local disk "C" which is 60gb wod be dere jus for windows xp after re installin an stuff now the letters are mixed up my 100gb partition is now ready as "C" and my local disk is reading as "D" how do i change it back

A:local disk "C" has change to "D"

go to Start/Run and type diskmgmt.msc and press enter. In the Disk Management window, if your D: drive is the Boot/System drive the only way to reset it is to reinstall Windows. Remove/Unplug what is now the C: drive. Once Windows is installed plug in the storage drive.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/local-disk-c-has-change-to-d-576643.html
Relevancy 95.03%

the hard drive works, just not the pack.
My usb ports are good, I tested them with my jump drive, it is getting power (leds are lit), but windows isn't recognizing it.
I have XP Pro.

Any ideas?

Relevancy 95.03%

Hello everbdoy , thanks for entering

I was using XP ,and Wireless was working well , until I used ubuntu 4.10 !!

( sign became so weak ) (only with XP)

and It's taking too much time to connect with modem !!

now I am using wired (cable) with Xp

and wireless with ubuntu !!

((((I want to use Wireless with both)))

I have (speedTouch) modem

could you help me ?!

A:Solved: wireless works with ubuntu, doesn't work with XP(help me)

you have marked solved - do you need help

dont really need those images - just exact make and models and versions of software and any useful links to manuals etc

Images are useful sometimes, but not sure why you posted these

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-wireless-works-with-ubuntu-doesnt-work-with-xp-help-me.891085/
Relevancy 95.03%

Hi A quot external hard drive connected to my Windows XP machine via USB has a quot disappearing quot and quot reappearing quot partition problem After the external drive is turned on partitions disk "reappearing" "disappearing" Hard and all four partitions on it will be displayed Very soon they will all disappear in Windows Explorer After a brief moment they will reappear along with a USB-symbol icon in the taskbar which brings up a quot Hi-speed USB Device Attached to non-Hi-speed Hub quot warning suggesting that I use free Hi-speed USB ports indicated in bold My computer s USB ports are all USB and I ve tried attaching the external drive to different ports on Hard disk partitions "disappearing" and "reappearing" the machine all with the same result Would anyone hazard a guess as to the likely cause of this problem Failed or failing USB controller on the external enclosure Failing power supply to the xeternal enclosure Corrupted partition table on the drive Failed or failing USB controller on the mobo Any other cause The enclosure also has an eSATA port When connected via eSATA or USB to another computer no such problem appears Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Hard disk partitions "disappearing" and "reappearing"

xp will loose drives when its having problems accessing them probably due to the usb 2.0 , a pci adapter would be better for you

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-disk-partitions-disappearing-and-reappearing.949039/