Windows Support Forum

Windows 7 black screen, black or blank thumbnails, and black desktop themes

Q: Windows 7 black screen, black or blank thumbnails, and black desktop themes

I have Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit. So, these are my problems described in the title. I cannot change desktop from black, only can set a picture as a background.

When I am in pictures folder for example, I see blank or black thumbnails.
When I right click and go to personalize, I can see black themes instead of actual pictures.

I tried almost everything.
- reinstalling video driver
- clearing thumbnail from disk cleanup
- resetting dwm.exe
- going into safemode and then restaring into normal windows
- I tried fixing shell by using "fixshell"
- clearing & repairing registry errors
- ran an error checker
- ran a file checker

I have Microsoft Office 2010 - I heard that it could be the issue, but maybe I am not right, anyway...

I attached a print screen photo.

And, I am hopeless, any help please? Thanks

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Windows 7 black screen, black or blank thumbnails, and black desktop themes

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Windows 7 black screen, black or blank thumbnails, and black desktop themes

I noticed you're not running Aero. Click on last item, left side - "Troubleshoot problems with transparency...."

Office 2010 should not be a factor here. Public pics folder is empty - it should have sample pics in it.

Validate your OS installation - Genuine Microsoft Software

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-7-black-screen-black-or-blank-thumbnails-and-black-desktop-themes-553925.html
Relevancy 87.11%

Hi all,

This is my first post so fingers crossed i'm in the right place. I run a fairly basic Dell machine with Vista Home Basic. Here is my problem:

I enter my user account password(i am the only user on the computer) and the desktop loads up.

About 50% of the time the desktop loads and then goes black. I have no mouse cursor and the Ctrl+Alt etc combinations do nothing. The monitor stays on which suggests that the computer is still sending some sort of signal so i don't know if this is a display problem or something more sinister. I have tried to follow advice on different forums and have yet to fix the issue.

I changed the desktop wallpaper, I removed and then re-installed the display drivers and neither of these suggestions helped. Is it possible that it has something to do with the power settings? Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated.

A:Desktop Problems - Blank/Black Screen

Sounds like a driver problem - but it could be the file system

SFC -System File Checker -Instructions

Click on Start > All Programs > Accessories

Right-click on the Command Prompt entry

Select Run as Administrator and accept the UAC prompt - the ElevatedCommand Prompt window should pop up.

At the Command prompt, type

SFC /SCANNOW

and hit the Enter key

Wait for the scan to finish - make a note of any error messages -and then reboot.

Copy the CBS.log file created(C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log) to your desktop (you can't manipulate itdirectly) and then compress the copy and upload it to your SkyDrive Publicfolder (http://skydrive.live.com ) and post a link to it so that I can take a look.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/299308-desktop-problems-blank-black-screen.html
Relevancy 85.56%

Hello So on my computer something strange happens when I uninstall UxStyle It Black Post-Windows Flashing Black Screen Update UxStyle has broken my Windows install once and it has done it again The UxStyle Black Flashing Post-Windows Update Black Screen first time I kept on doing system restores to see what was the problem that made that black screen After trial and error I narrowed it down to UxStyle So I deleted Windows and installed Windows which is what I wanted in the first place Now I decided to triple-boot Windows with Vista and and it has succeeded I reinstalled UxStyle thinking it was just a problem with my old Windows install and then uninstalled it after a few days since I felt like the regular look was better I rebooted Windows and the same effect happened So I would like to know if I can get and replace those three patched DLLs with unpatched DLLs for Windows Could I just change the broken ones to have old next to them and then place the ones I get here there Also would sfc scannow work

A:UxStyle Black Flashing Post-Windows Update Black Screen

Hello lct01a, and welcome to Eight Forums.

A sfc /scannow will attempt to repair any modified or corrupted system files, so that would be a good first step.

SFC /SCANNOW Command - Run in Windows 8

http://www.eightforums.com/customization/47244-uxstyle-black-flashing-post-windows-update-black-screen.html
Relevancy 84.32%

I am no longer able to set .jpg files as the background image I only get a black desktop bacground if I do so (.bmp works alright), further the pictures folder & all other folders which used to show a thumbnail preview no longer do so I just see the file name preceded by a blank placeholder.

I have a problem similar to this thread
http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vista/695391-vista-wont-display-picture-thumbnails.html

But this thread seems to have been closed without a proper solution.

Apart from this I also have a problem with online videos, i do not hear anything ! there is no audio being played with youtube, ..... . Actually windows media player & vlc player work fine but the startup sounds/ alerts no longer seem to be heard, even when the volume is increased i do not hear a thing (the usual beep sound is gone)

What should have gone wrong ?

Thanks for the help,

Regards,
Natarajan

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/background-image-is-a-black-screen-thumbnails-wont-show-up-on-windows-explorer.911119/
Relevancy 80.91%

Hey I shut down my computer last night It runs and when I shut it down I do not believe it installed updates I came home this afternoon and tried to boot it It boots and after I type in my PIN shows my desktop for a few seconds Then my display will either turn black or a blueish grey There is no cursor It does this every reboot now I can not do anything except reset when it happens System info Two GTX 's in SLI Two Asus monitors Possible culprits - I have Actual Multiple Monitors trial installed The freezing display blanking seems to happen when the trial time left window shows up but that may be coincidence - I heard graphics card driver updates and windows updates can clash in some way and cause a similar issue From what I've read a cursor is 8.1 log in. cursor after Windows screen black/blank No still on screen and task manager can be opened with CTRL SHIFT ESC Neither of these work for me - Virus I have avast so I doubt it Anyone got any clue what's wrong and how to fix it specs Intel Core i - K Gigabyte GeForce GTX -Way SLI Corsair R - current - lillz's Saved Part List - PCPartPicker

A:Windows 8.1 black/blank screen after log in. No cursor

With two large graphics cards, the size of the power supply is very important....what is the model number?

What configuration are you running the dual monitors in. Are they both running from one video card, and which ports?

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/51096-windows-8-1-black-blank-screen-after-log-no-cursor.html
Relevancy 80.91%

I installed Windows 8 (from Windows 7) and things were OK.

Then I went to the Nvidia site and tried installing the latest driver because things looked a little strange
(nothing terrible, just some ragged edges).

Now when I restart, I see the window-pane image and the little circle thing that Windows displays,
then the whole screen goes black.
My computer is therefore dead in the water.

I tried rebooting from my Win 7 DVD, which brought up windows 7 setup screen,
told me to restart, which went right back into the Windows 8 and the malfunction.

Any ideas to bring this back to life?
Should I get hold of a Win 8 installation disk and boot from it? (I did the 7-->8 upgrade just
by downloading). Thanks in advance.

Not that it matters, but the machine is a Core I7 at 2.53 ghz w/ 8gb RAM (a desktop from Puget Custom Computer).

A:Blank (black) screen after windows 8 symbol.

I have the same problem. When installing, got a message that there were some startup errors that Windows 8 was repairing by restarting. Now I get nothing but BSOD. Microsoft said that I need to buy the disc (clever of them). Any fixes that could be done by a normal human, age 66, like me? Many thanks.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/10607-blank-black-screen-after-windows-8-symbol.html
Relevancy 80.91%

Hey I shut down my computer last night It runs and when I shut it down I do not believe it installed updates I came home this afternoon and tried to boot it It boots and after I type in my PIN shows my desktop screen Windows No 8.1 cursor log after in. black/blank for a few seconds Then my display will either turn black or a blueish grey There is no cursor It does this every reboot now I can not do anything except reset when it happens System info Two GTX 's in SLI Two Asus monitors Possible culprits - I have Actual Multiple Monitors trial installed The freezing display blanking seems to Windows 8.1 black/blank screen after log in. No cursor happen when the trial time left window shows up but that may be coincidence - I heard graphics card driver updates Windows 8.1 black/blank screen after log in. No cursor and windows updates can clash in some way and cause a similar issue From what I've read a cursor is still on screen and task manager can be opened with CTRL SHIFT ESC Neither of these work for me - Virus I have avast so I doubt it Anyone got any clue what's wrong and how to fix it specs http pcpartpicker com user lillz saved k rxr note I posted this on general support too but I bet this is probably a more proper place to post

http://www.eightforums.com/graphic-cards/51098-windows-8-1-black-blank-screen-after-log-no-cursor.html
Relevancy 80.6%

Hi,

Recently I've discovered a small issue.

When I play FSX it changes the windows setting to windows basic.

When I quit the game sometimes I get a black screen with a white mouse for a few seconds & then it reloads back into windows areo.

Any ideas on how to fix this its not a major issue, just hasn't happened before.

There's new graphics drivers out for my card so might update them.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/383299-black-screen-switching-between-aero-basic-themes.html
Relevancy 80.6%

I'm having some interesting issues with my computer lately I'm running Windows Professional -bit and recently within weeks I restarted my computer and when it came back on and I logged in the desktop was one solid black with the desktop icons still but the wallpaper was gone and I could not change the wallpaper to anything else Also the images that displayed for folders and videos would not display at all just a windows explorer window with the filenames but no images icons thumbnails even longer then weeks ago i have repeatedly noticed that my taskmanager would display a constant - CPU usage and i've found it impossible to make it drop below black, sluggish, most Computer thumbnails super missing... explorer is desktop the although if i work it Computer super sluggish, desktop is black, most explorer thumbnails missing... hard enough i can easily get it up to it just gets Computer super sluggish, desktop is black, most explorer thumbnails missing... stuck in that range I don't know if this is a problem with malware or not but i believe it is Please help me below i have copied and pasted the contents of my DDS txt file and also attached the requested logs in a zip file DDS Ver - - - NTFSx Run by Austin at on Sun Internet Explorer BrowserJavaVersion Microsoft Windows Professional GMT - Running Processes C Windows system wininit exe C Windows system lsm exe C Windows system svchost exe -k DcomLaunch C Windows system nvvsvc exe C Windows system svchost exe -k RPCSS c Program Files Microsoft Security Essentials MsMpEng exe C Windows System svchost exe -k LocalServiceNetworkRestricted C Windows System svchost exe -k LocalSystemNetworkRestricted C Windows system svchost exe -k netsvcs C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalService C Windows system rundll exe C Windows system svchost exe -k NetworkService C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalServiceNoNetwork C Program Files Microsoft Small Business Business Contact Manager BcmSqlStartupSvc exe C Windows system svchost exe -k HsfXAudioService C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared VS DEBUG mdm exe C Windows system PSIService exe c Program Files Microsoft SQL Server Shared sqlbrowser exe c Program Files Microsoft SQL Server Shared sqlwriter exe C Program Files Common Files VMware USB vmware-usbarbitrator exe C Windows system vmnat exe C Program Files VMware VMware vCenter Converter Standalone vmware-converter-a exe C Program Files VMware VMware vCenter Converter Standalone vmware-converter exe C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalServiceAndNoImpersonation C Program Files VMware VMware Workstation vmware-authd exe C Windows system vmnetdhcp exe C Windows system taskhost exe C Windows system Dwm exe C Windows Explorer EXE C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe C Program Files Microsoft Security Essentials msseces exe C Program Files VMware VMware Workstation vmware-tray exe C Windows system svchost exe -k NetworkServiceNetworkRestricted C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPHelper exe C Program Files Windows Media Player wmpnetwk exe C Windows System svchost exe -k LocalServicePeerNet C Windows system DllHost exe C Program Files Sandboxie SbieSvc exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Windows system Macromed Flash FlashUtil e exe C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe C Windows system WUDFHost exe C Windows system taskhost exe C Windows system DllHost exe C Windows system DllHost exe C Users Austin Desktop dds scr C Windows system conhost exe C Windows system wbem wmiprvse exe Pseudo HJT Report uURLSearchHooks H - No File mURLSearchHooks H - No File BHO Adobe PDF Link Helper df c-e ad- -a -fa c ebdc - c program files common files adobe acrobat activex AcroIEHelperShim dll BHO RealPlayer Download and Record Plugin for Internet Explorer c e -b - bc - - c ca - c programdata real realplayer browserrecordplugin ie rpbrowserrecordplugin dll BHO Windows Live I... Read more

A:Computer super sluggish, desktop is black, most explorer thumbnails missing...

Hello and Welcome to TSF.

Please Subscribe to this Thread to get immediate notification of replies as soon as they are posted. To do this click Thread Tools, then click Subscribe to this Thread. Make sure it is set to Instant notification by email, then click Add Subscription.

Please note that the forum is very busy and if I don't hear from you within three days this thread will be closed.

------------------------------------------------------

It appears you ran or tried to run ComboFix. Did it produce a log located at C:\ComboFix.txt?

If so, please post it in your next reply.

Why do you only have restore points back to a couple of days ago?

Do you experience the same blank screen problem in Safe Mode?

Let me know if you are able to get your desktop doing this in Normal Mode:

Task Manager > File > New Task(Run...) > type explorer.exe > OK.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/computer-super-sluggish-desktop-is-black-most-explorer-thumbnails-missing-472038.html
Relevancy 110.94%

Hi everyone I need your help suggestions on this one before I on Blinking blank XP screen, Windows black cursor do any harm to the system The problem is my DELL E will not boot to Windows XP It got as far as the DELL Logo and then it comes to a blank black screen with blinking cursor on the upper left corner At the DELL Blinking cursor on blank black screen, Windows XP Logo I can F F to change the boot sequence and boot to Windows XP pre-SP Install CD I have tried going into the Windows Recovery Console Typing quot dir quot gets Blinking cursor on blank black screen, Windows XP a quot An error occurred during directory enumeration quot for C drive Typing quot chkdsk quot gets a quot The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems quot What was I doing before the blinking cursor I was trying to set up dual-boot configuration with addition of a nd SATA hard drive Before attempt to install XP on new drive a quick check in Control Panel Computer Management Disk Management confirmed that Windows was seeing the new drive Disk existing C drive Gb NTFS Mb FAT and Gb FAT Disk new drive unallocated I tried to install Windows XP to the new F drive after creating the partition but the installer wants to install to C drive instead On the installer set up menu it reports Cartition unknown Gb Thanks nbsp

A:Blinking cursor on blank black screen, Windows XP

Use your windows install cd and get back into the Recovery console, instead of chkdsk, run the FixMBR and Fixboot commands. In all instances that i've encountered the "blinking curser", it's been a corrupt or modified MBR record.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/blinking-cursor-on-blank-black-screen-windows-xp.1082772/
Relevancy 110.94%

I left my computer on over night on sunday, when i checked my computer late monday evening it just had a blank black screen on it. I rebooted the computer and it loads all the way to the winXP logo and then it displays this blank black screen with nothing on it. no sound no nothing. I tried starting "the last known good configuration" and the same thing occurs... i can start the computer in all 3 safe modes, but no other option works. i have no idea what to do. i didn't install any new software or hardware. any ideas?

A:blank black screen after windows logo on startup

Boot to safe mode, set your display for a generic vga, low resolution. Restart in standard mode, see if you get display. If so, start then, select correct display driver and try, step by step, to get back to where you were. If, somewhere along the line, you get the blank screen again, you should have an idea what happend.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/blank-black-screen-after-windows-logo-on-startup.561347/
Relevancy 110.94%

Hi with blank/black BSOD Windows 7 and FX5200 screen on Recently I recuperated and old computer that would go to the trash I installed successfully Windows XP SP on it and works great but now the XP life ended and I decided to install Windows on it Here the specs Motherboard First International Computer FIC FA T Graphics card Inno D FX Mb AGP Processor Intel Pentium BSOD and blank/black screen with FX5200 on Windows 7 Ghz PGA DVD drive BSOD and blank/black screen with FX5200 on Windows 7 Samsung SH-S D Power supply Generic WiseCase W All works except of course the video card Originally they comes with a Pine D SIS MB video card I was able to get it working under Windows with the XP drivers and the system was fine So I changed it to a FX because I watched some youtube videos showing it working with aero in Windows because they have Directx but now I can't get it working properly BSOD and blank/black screen with FX5200 on Windows 7 Here some drivers that I tested for Vista - gt the most recommended video driver causes BSOD with nvlddmkm sys x and a buggy black flashing screen after that the system freezes from Guru D for Vista - gt I get a buggy flashing black screen after this or the system freezes or the monitor turns off for XP - gt the setup doesn't start in compatibility mode unable to test but worked in XP for vista - gt same thing as does One of the XP drivers worked in W but without aero and a very bad performance when I try to play any video file the system causes a BSOD with nv mini sys My video card is this Can someone give some help Thanks

A:BSOD and blank/black screen with FX5200 on Windows 7

Hey aless. So you say, you had first one GPU (Pine3D), and then, you changed it to Inno3D, then you installed the drivers for this second GPU (Inno3D). all in the same OS?, that's bound to get you some problems in the future, because a search about those BSODs gave me info related to drivers for video cards (nvlddmkm.sys and nv4_mini.sys), are you in a position to do a fresh, clean install?:
Clean Install Windows 7
or maybe could you revert to the functioning card and check those BSOD dumps?, you could check them yourself with an utility like BlueScreenView:
Blue screen of death (STOP error) information in dump files.
Or you could use that program to extract them so an expert here can take a look. Although I'm not an expert, I think it's driver related.

http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/332665-bsod-blank-black-screen-fx5200-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 110.94%

Hello I have a ThinkPad Edge E bit Windows computer that is under warranty Upon normal startup I am able to load Windows and get to the user login screen After logging in I get a black screen and can Screen 7 Windows Black/Blank Startup upon Normal see the mouse cursor but no applications ever load Black/Blank Screen upon Normal Windows 7 Startup I think there is a problem that is preventing windows explorer from loading I'm not sure if this is related but a few days before this started happening I received a Windows Action Center notice that the small CA virus was detected on my computer I ran Windows Defender Malwarebytes Black/Blank Screen upon Normal Windows 7 Startup McAfee Virus Scan and Emisoft Emergency Scanner but none of them turned up any problems I'm able to run my computer through Windows safe mode with networking at the moment normally Do you know if this is a software problem and if so is it fixable If it's a hardware problem my computer is under warranty and I can send it back Thanks XSJ

A:Black/Blank Screen upon Normal Windows 7 Startup

In the Advanced Boot Options where you chose Safe Mode with Networking there is the option to Repair your computer.  Give this a try.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/518198/blackblank-screen-upon-normal-windows-7-startup/
Relevancy 110.94%

Hey guys, I just reset my laptop and am upgrading to 8.1. This is the third time I have tried upgrading and every time it results in a blank black screen. I believe it has to do with video drivers. By a blank black screen I mean totally blank. There is no backlight and there is no cursor. I had this problem when it upgraded the intel graphics driver to the .3345 version so I went into safe mode and rolled it back. After the reset I uninstalled all intel graphics driver and used the microsoft driver. When I update to 8.1 I get the black screen even with this video driver. I will keep trying using the stable intel driver to see what happens.

Any help on this would be great.

A:Windows 8.1 upgrade results in blank black screen

I get error codes 0xC1900101-0x40019 and 0xC1900101-0x3000D

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/39156-windows-8-1-upgrade-results-blank-black-screen.html
Relevancy 110.51%

I don't know if this happens on a regular basis, but I have been
downloading updates from MS and was using the Dark Skies theme
from MS. All was working fine. They were shuffling, etc, when all
of a sudden the desktop screen went black save the different icons
I have going. It looks much like the screen does when one is in
Safe Mode.

If any of you have had this problem, please enlighten on how you
remedied the situation.

Thank you in advance.
n2gc

A:Had themes working fine, then screen went black save for icons !

Opps. Never mind. It was all the updates. Took over control of the
unit. Pretty sure the HD is on it's way out. It's been slowing down
and no I don't have a virus. Just did a reformat and fresh install,
so it's the drive. I have a LOT of hrs on it. Oh well.

Thanks for looking.
n2gc

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/238522-had-themes-working-fine-then-screen-went-black-save-icons.html
Relevancy 110.08%

Bit of a long story but here I go I have Radeon with the crossfire thing set up it s been working well for over years Over the last few weeks I ve been having issues mostly while watching videos usually HD and AMD white/low 6950 Radeon problems screen/black (black and resolution) or full screen The video will freeze the audio will loop then eventually the screen goes black and I get an error message saying quot Display driver AMD Radeon 6950 problems (black screen/black and white/low resolution) has stopped working AMD Radeon 6950 problems (black screen/black and white/low resolution) and has recovered quot Sometimes it didn t recover and I have to turn the computer off What s now happening is it will freeze at the windows start up Then after resetting I will get to windows in very very low resolution and in black and white So I re-seated the cards I couldn t notice any obvious damage to it except the fans were very dusty so I cleaned them Boot it up and I still get the black and white I checked the device manager and it said one of the cards was having problems I uninstalled both drivers from that menu not quite sure if I should have done this and for whatever reason it s now working However it now seems one of my cards is not being recognised Only one display adapter is shown in the device manager and AMD catalyst only recognises one card too What s the best course of action to determine what s wrong with what card still not quite sure which one it is Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Pro bit Processor Intel R Core TM i - K CPU GHz Intel Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card AMD Radeon HD Series - Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB D Total - MB Free - MB E Total - MB Free - MB F Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard ASUSTeK Computer INC P Z -V Antivirus Windows Defender Disabled nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/amd-radeon-6950-problems-black-screen-black-and-white-low-resolution.1116301/
Relevancy 109.65%

I'm getting the black screen with movable cursor or KSOD Black Screen Of Death on Windows (Black Vista Black Of Death) Screen screen or with cursor movable KSOD Vista Black screen with movable cursor or KSOD (Black Screen Of Death) Vista What happens The system powers on POST BIOS Start windows normally Windows splash screen - gt Black screen with movable cursor or KSOD (Black Screen Of Death) Vista Black screen lt - What I can do I CAN enter BIOS and have reset the default settings I CAN press F to give me advanced boot options but all options have the same result apart from quot Repair your computer quot I CAN load the quot Repair your computer quot option I CAN move the mouse around the screen I CAN press shift times to get a dialogue to appear but no control panel I CAN press the power button to shut down the system I CAN start up in safe Black screen with movable cursor or KSOD (Black Screen Of Death) Vista mode which is exactly the same but with lower resolution I CANNOT seem to do anything else However there are workarounds to accessing the hard drive I CAN use MSDaRT or the System Recovery Tool I CAN use the hard drive as an external USB hard drive on another machine What I've tried Startup Repair - Could not detect a problem System Restore - No restore points Windows Complete PC Restore - A valid restore location could not be found Windows Memory Diagnostics - No errors SFC Scan - No problems Stand alone system sweeper - No problems Hotfix Uninstall - Nothing to uninstall I also COULD do a partial or full quot Packard Bell Recovery quot which is essentially like reinstalling windows I DO NOT want to do this I'm sure this is just a simple software issue really and I would rather avoid a reinstall Can anyone recommend what steps I should try to resolve this Thanks

A:Black screen with movable cursor or KSOD (Black Screen Of Death) Vista

I think I saw this post aver at Toms but I also think you gave some additional info.
I think what may be going on it during the switch from the windows low res video driver to the driver used in normal mode.

Since you can get into safe mode try to go to device manager.
Start|right click computer|properties|device manager.
Look in the display adapter.
Is there a yellow exclamation mark there?
Or is it showing the video that you know should be there?
Please post the video that the machine uses and or the PB model.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/black-screen-with-movable-cursor-or-ksod-black-screen-of-death-vista-410636.html
Relevancy 109.65%

I just installed a fresh copy of windows 7, the setup process even took me far enough to create the account, time, homegroup settings ect. It seemed successful. Then it restarts one final time and results in a blank screen after the bios screen flashes. I've tried every setting in the BIOS with no avail. Pressing CTRL ALT DEL at the blank screen just restarts the computer, flashes the bios as usual, and then when you should see the windows loading sign it loads a blank screen with no mouse cursor at all.

Any insight as to what might be causing this? I've already tried formatting twice and it results in the same exact issue. The computer was working fine before hand, didn't add any hardware or anything.

I really appreciate your help. Thank you.

A:Fresh install of windows 7 results in a blank black screen

Can you get into Safe Mode?

If not enter Device Manager to see if any drivers are in error with an !. If so disable the device to see if install will complete, update them from desktop: Device Manager - Access During Windows 7 Installation

As always give preference to drivers from optional Windows Updates after enabling Automatically get recommended drivers and updates for your hardware before importing any.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/265228-fresh-install-windows-7-results-blank-black-screen.html
Relevancy 109.65%

Hello there So as the title says I'm having some problems with my computer I bought it about weeks ago Goes Stays Black BlueScreen MMO's. and playing Screen Black, Restarts and no issues with it other than when I try to play an MMO that would make the graphics card work The graphics card that is installed in the computer was separately bought and installed so I'm thinking it might be conflict issues with the card but I don't know The way it happens is I run the games I can play for anything from a minute to mins and then my screen says it has disconnected from the image goes black and I can hear my computer restart but my screen stays black I have to manually power off and back on for my screen to start showing images again Once restarted i get the quot Problem Event Name Bluescreen quot thing It's really annoying since I just bought GW and I can't play properly any help would be appreciated Also in the Action Center it's said that my Nvidia Graphics Card has stopped working or crashed multiple times naming the exact times my computer crashed which is why I believe it has to do with my card

A:BlueScreen playing MMO's. Screen Goes Black, Restarts and Stays Black

Code:
BugCheck 116, {fffffa800cf0e010, fffff88010aee630, ffffffffc000009a, 4}

Unable to load image \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\nvlddmkm.sys, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for nvlddmkm.sys
Probably caused by : nvlddmkm.sys ( nvlddmkm+ade630 )

Code:
Image path: \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\nvlddmkm.sys
Image name: nvlddmkm.sys
Timestamp: Tue Oct 02 19:21:13 2012 (506B3099)
Follow these steps:STOP 0x116: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR troubleshooting
Overclocking -
I recommend if you are overclocking any hardware, that you reset these values within the BIOS to their default values in order to increase the stability of your system.

Please run the following tests for your graphics card and RAM:
RAM - Test with Memtest86+
Run Memtest86+ for least 7-8 passes, and preferrly overnight as it can take a while to fully complete.

Test each RAM stick individually, if an error is found then move the same RAM stick into the next DIMM slot and test again, if errors are found for the same RAM stick in every available slot then you have a faulty RAM module. On the other hand, if no errors are found in the next slot or the other slots for the same RAM module, then you have a faulty DIMM slot.

Test each RAM stick and every motherboard DIMM slot available.

Graphics Card:Video Card - Stress Test with Furmark
Read all the steps within the hardware test tutorials very carefully, as stress tests is designed run components to their maximum capacity, in order to point out failing or faulty hardware components.

Use the following program to monitor your hardware temperatures during the stress test:CPUID HWMonitor
Hard Drive:Disk Check
CrystalDiskInfo - Software - Crystal Dew World
SeaTools for Windows | Seagate
Scan for corrupted or missing Windows files with:SFC /SCANNOW : Run in Command Prompt at Boot
Please check for the latest driver updates (may have to install a older driver) for your graphics card on the manufacturer's website, and check for any driver compatibility issues with:Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor - Download - Microsoft Windows
If you are using DirectX, then try uninstalling and then reinstalling the DirectX API:How to download and install DirectX

Please post back your results

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/265537-bluescreen-playing-mmos-screen-goes-black-restarts-stays-black.html
Relevancy 109.65%

i believe virus deleted a system 32 exe file it is a confident guess. I have a true black screen nothing at all comes up doesn't load anything no hot keys work. windows 7 hp laptop I need to know if I can get into bios if f keys don't work, cd repair disk don't work. what can I do power button and wifi button lights up on keyboard and fans are running but black screen no response. it is not a graphic card problem not a hardware problem at all. please help

A:Black Screen of Death true black no keys work at all!!!HELP

Do you see the bios splash screen?
Did you ever enter BIOS before, so you know how to do it?
Do you see the win7 animated welcome screen (prior to logon)?
------
cd repair disc .... you mean this? System Repair Disc - Create

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/329399-black-screen-death-true-black-no-keys-work-all-help.html
Relevancy 108.79%

When i press the power button evrythings looks ok all fans starts the led on my keyboard flashes but the flashing led on my screen that indicate that it s sleeping does nt stop flashing which mean it does nt receive any information When i press restart it often solve the problem and my screen computer starts perfectly I JUST INSTALLED A BRAND NEW POWER SUPPLY hight quality the problem still there If someone know how to get a log file that would help me to determin the problem - you BLACK!!!(black know PITCH i mean?) screen press you when power what Does reseting de cmos could solve sumtin - To reset cmos i need to remove the bateri for PITCH BLACK!!!(black screen when you press power you know what i mean?) about second - does a poor batery could make such problems - I need hlp Or if someone have already experienced that problem and could tell me what you did to solve the problem i just baught a power supply antec but i didnt solve anything my d card is brand new and my cable looks fine but who knows pls HLP ME information about this error must be written in some log files Thanks for replies nbsp

A:PITCH BLACK!!!(black screen when you press power you know what i mean?)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/pitch-black-black-screen-when-you-press-power-you-know-what-i-mean.421322/
Relevancy 108.79%

A black dot 1" in diameter and some black smears have appeared on the bottom right corner of my screen. I believe whatever page I have up is ok behind it. And I think it is getting bigger. Monitor is a Dell 19 " Analog Flat Panel. Maybe it is finished.

Relevancy 108.79%

Hello,

I turned my computer on this morning to find the following:

The screen - or desktop - is just black, there are no icons, nothing. There is no way to access Windows 7 or my computer other than through one window frame which opened that allows me to access all of the files on my computer.

Windows 7 obviously must still be running, otherwise i wouldn't be able to use my computer, It starts fine everytime, showing "Preparing your desktop" and all that, but once it's supposed to show desktop, there is just nothing, it's as if it's just not there anymore. It's just black.

I can still do anything I want, show movies, listen to music, work on MS Word, etc.

Any help is appreciated!

A:Screen goes black Windows 7 not available on desktop

"Preparing your desktop" is only showed on first logon to an account!
"one window frame which opened ". Is that the standard file explorer frame?
What happens if you double click on c:\windows\explorer.exe ?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/323650-screen-goes-black-windows-7-not-available-desktop.html
Relevancy 108.79%

My PC was fine and then i turned it on the next morning and it was just a black screen after i logged on.
I could run programs fine using task manager there was just no desktop.
I'm not sure if this is a virus or what but i would appreciate all the help.

Thanks.

A:Windows 7 - Black screen No Desktop

Fixed followed some thing on youtube

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/windows-7-black-screen-no-desktop-476361.html
Relevancy 108.79%

Hi While i have been fussing about my Acer Laptop Caution on the Hard Drive Test I Black 7 Desktop Windows Screen did a Hard Drive test for my Desktop PC which was Good but Black Screen Windows 7 Desktop on starting it up yesterday smoke came out of the Back at the top smouldering smell and something had fried There's Irony So I have now purchased a second hand Self Build Desktop PC for an older Family member who just Black Screen Windows 7 Desktop surf's the internet Its Description is Desktop PC Monitor Keyboard and Mouse DFI LAN Party RDX socket motherboard Fresh quality thermal paste add to all fans etc Crossfire ready AMD bit socket Processor Again fresh quality thermal paste added Gb Corsair Platinum Twin X RAM across all channels Seagate Sata Hard drive Windows Professional bit All updates as to including service pack Nvidia Geforce LE graphics card Dell inch monitor Key board and mouse Case does have scratches and paint loss consistent with use and storage Ideal silver suffer or second computer ------------------------------------------------- Computer started up well Checked Performance of computer which was fine although screen went black couple of times with a notice that a driver had stopped working but re-started ok Opened Internet Explorer downloaded a Antivirus and as i was scanning with Antivirus checked documents and opened the default Video at which point the Screen went blank at Scanned so rebooted it it comes on again but this time Black screen that's all i get now it does start up with all the red lights which change to red I took out the Battery and restarted it it then went to the DFI LAN Party RDX on the screen so needed to press F but didn't have keyboard ready I had to turn the power off as i needed to go grab the Mouse and Keyboard as it was in another location So Powered up again once replacing the Battery and all lights stayed on this time and would not go down to red light So i have taken the battery out over night and will see if it will work Tomorrow I would like some ideas please on this problem thank-you Forum Ben

A:Black Screen Windows 7 Desktop

Sounds like a summary of all the reasons for NOT buying "2d-hand" systems with older components, IMO.

Did you see this system in a functional state...before you acquired it?

Did you buy it from a person you know...or from some "business entity" who wanted to exchange it for money?

Is this a system coming off-lease?  If so, you should have a 60-day warranty period.

What "battery" are you referring to?

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/582242/black-screen-windows-7-desktop/
Relevancy 107.5%

I installed the Windows download last night and everything seemed to go smoothly until the log-in screen came up I logged in with my password hit enter - got the welcome and it transitioned to a black screen with no icons no background no task bar The cursor is active and movable left and right clicks do nothing The only thing that shows is not load log-in; screen will just Windows 10 desktop a after black my Windows 10 will not load desktop after log-in; just a black screen Comodo Secure notification box in the top right-hand corner I've attempted to by shutdown and restarting Windows 10 will not load desktop after log-in; just a black screen to get to a desktop without success I then tried a Safe Mode start by waiting for the log-in page holding Shift and using the power icon at the bottom of the log-in page to restart I was successful at first Was able to do a reset and re-install windows my desktop came up and I thought all was good But when I restarted after downloading my Chrome browser which had been removed during the reset reinstall the same thing happened - after log-in no desktop icons etc I was going to do a Safe Mode again but the log-in page now has only two icons at the bottom instead of three Originally there was a connect to the internet icon a 'ease of access icon and a power icon with choice of restart shutdown sleep Now there are only two icons the connect amp ease of icons So I can't even get into Safe Mode now I went to the microsoft support page they have a minute wait for call-backs and similar wait for on-line chat I'm hoping someone has a suggestion I might mention I'm years old and not very well-versed in computers UPDATE Microsoft finally called me back - was on the phone with them for about hours they tried everything to get me into safe mode ctrl alt del ctrl shift esc win R etc Nothing After two minute holds where they sought help from a supervisor who had them try the 'unplug' computer see if it reboots to recovery screen No it didn't they finally decided to kick me up to a Level Engineer who will call me on Sunday Aug th around pm I'll come back and update this after Sunday but will also check back for any replies suggestions between now and then

A:Windows 10 will not load desktop after log-in; just a black screen

Hi,

Do you have the Windows 10 DVD or another PC to download and burn the Windows 10 DVD?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/585607/windows-10-will-not-load-desktop-after-log-in;-just-a-black-screen/
Relevancy 107.5%

Okay so I recently started up my computer and for some odd reason after the "welcome" screen I get the mouse cursor but no desktop. Even after waiting around for a few minutes, nothing came up. So I shut it down and started it in safe mode and it booted fine. Anybody know whats going on inside there? I really don't have the money to have a pro look at it even though that's the last line for me. Any help on this is GREATLY appreciated

A:Windows 7 gets a black screen with cursor, no desktop

Can you install and run a full scan with Malwarebytes, in Safe Mode if necesary?

If so and it cleans up infection but Win7 still won't start, try SFC /SCANNOW Command or if necessary from the Win7 disk or Repair CD use SFC /SCANNOW Run in Command Prompt at Boot.

If these fail then everything else that can be done is in Troubleshooting Windows 7 Failure to Start

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/309332-windows-7-gets-black-screen-cursor-no-desktop.html
Relevancy 107.5%

Hi I currently have a Macbook Pro and i have snow leopard and sometime ago I installed Windows on to it My access Screen desktop) 7 (Can't Black Windows windows is genuine and when it keeped asking me to validate or verify it I never bothered to And few weeks later Windows 7 Black Screen (Can't access desktop) I went on the the Windows side and all it came up with was a Black background and nothing else No tool bar or anything all I could see was a small white writing saying quot This Windows Is Not Genuine quot I searched everywhere and tried to solve it and one thing i saw was going on Task manager by pressing CTL ALT DELETE and running Internet Windows 7 Black Screen (Can't access desktop) explorer and that was not possible for me When just few days ago I could access the desktop Icons but when i click on My computer it said i do not have permission Is there anyway to fix this problem Please Please Help Is there any other way to verify my WINDOWS

A:Windows 7 Black Screen (Can't access desktop)

Easy

Activate Windows 7 by Phone

Follow instructions and activate by phone.

The reps that help are very polite, and there is no need to be concerned about the call.

Activation Phone Numers

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/96220-windows-7-black-screen-cant-access-desktop.html
Relevancy 107.5%

Hi all I have desktop. loading not Windows XP black, screen welcome hard disks Gb and gb which are both compatible with the rest of the computer The OS was initially installed in the GB drive and was working fine till I got a message on startup saying it had failed the S M A R T test and crash was imminent So I loaded Windows XP welcome screen black, not loading desktop. XP onto the the GB disk and removed the GB disk Everything was working fine except on start up I Windows XP welcome screen black, not loading desktop. was given two OS to boot from the second one now obsolete since the disk was removed So I entered the System Configuration Utility and using the quot Check All Boot Paths quot made a system restore point Windows XP welcome screen black, not loading desktop. before this deleted the option that no longer was in use and rebooted the system Except that upon loading desktop it rebooted within a minute I tried restoring using system restore but the same problem continued So I tried repairing my installation using the Windows XP CD After it did a repair and upon boot and installing in place of the Welcome screen the screen turns black However I have control over the mouse pointer But Ctrl-Alt-Delete Ctrl-Esc or right click nothing of this sort works Even booting in safe mode leads to the same result except the black screen has Safe Mode written in the corners Kindly advise nbsp

A:Windows XP welcome screen black, not loading desktop.

First pull out the 80 gig hard drive, and see if it boots with just the 500gb drive by itself, If not, Insert the windows CD, reboot press a button to boot from CD. Skip the first repair option the next time it talks about repair do that one. You should see two partitions, a big one and a smaller one, select the larger of them to repair. The computer will fix the os and then reboot this time do not press the any key and just let it boot. I think what you may have happened is you had an backup windows on the 500gig, and pointed the boot to boot that os. Also if you have a damaged Hard drive, and even if you are not booting from it, having the corrupt or laggy hd will lead to boot issues,

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-welcome-screen-black-not-loading-desktop.983664/
Relevancy 107.5%

Hello, I searched the forms and browsed the first 10 pages of threads and didn't see anything on this so I apologize if this is already on here somewhere.

I have updated Xp home to Vista Home Basic (old version) and downloaded SP1. My problem is when moving an open application across my desktop I get a black screen lock up. This has happened with my creative console and my X-fire program on a number of occasions. I just grab the program and move it out of the way and the O/S blacks out and I have to do a Hard restart. Hope someone has an a clue of what is up thanks.

Q6600 (Stock 2.4), 4 gigs ram, 3870 X2 GPU, X-fi sound, Vista Home Basic Upgrade (old version)

Relevancy 107.5%

I have hard disks Gb and gb which are both compatible with the rest of the computer The OS was initially installed in XP welcome Windows not desktop. loading black, screen the GB drive and was working fine till I got a message on startup saying it had failed the Windows XP welcome screen black, not loading desktop. S M A R T test and crash was imminent So I loaded XP onto the the GB disk and removed the GB disk Everything was working fine except on start up I was given two OS to boot from the second one now obsolete since the disk was removed So I entered the System Configuration Utility and using the quot Check All Boot Paths quot made a system restore point before this deleted the option that no longer was in use and rebooted the system Except that upon loading desktop it rebooted within a minute I tried restoring using system restore but the same problem continued So I tried repairing my installation using the Windows XP CD After it did a repair and upon boot and installing in place of the 'Welcome' screen the screen turns black However I have control over the mouse pointer But Ctrl-Alt-Delete Ctrl-Esc or right click nothing of this sort works Even booting in safe mode leads to the same result except the black screen has 'Safe Mode' written in the corners Kindly advise using Windows XP Media Center Edition

A:Windows XP welcome screen black, not loading desktop.

It sounds like your system is already set to boot from CD. Perhaps you should try reinstalling Windows on the new drive. That way your MSCONFIG issues would be settled, the OS would now recognize your new configuration, and it sounds like you might have a video issue although it could just be a corrupt install. I'd suggest trying a reinstall of XP.

Good day.

Mike

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-xp-welcome-screen-black-not-loading-desktop-554639.html
Relevancy 107.5%

Just bought new desktop and after the system did updates it screen new black and issue windows desktop 10 rebooted I can login and then get a black screen with white cursor I have a single monitor with vga new desktop and windows 10 black screen issue cableAfter I login I can alt ctl del but I can not get task manager to display If I select restart I get a blue screen with the circle of dots and it hangsI can push the power button to force a restart I can win p to toggle new desktop and windows 10 black screen issue display options prior to login and I tried each option and then logged in and get black screen nbsp Since it is out of the box there is no prior image to boot from nor media kit including to boot from nbsp I have tried to get to bios with f or f keys after hitting powerup button but goes right to login screen I do get full display with bootup and with login screen nbsp Just black after login So the display works nbsp Any help appreciated like all of us stranded pc users nbsp

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Boot-and-Lockup/new-desktop-and-windows-10-black-screen-issue/td-p/5813169
Relevancy 107.5%

I recently downloaded Oceanis so that I could change my desktop; however, today my desktop is black.

Is there anyone out there that can help me get rid of the black desktop?

Carla

A:Black desktop screen - Windows 7 Starter

Can you boot to safe mode and remove this software?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-desktop-screen-windows-7-starter.998677/
Relevancy 107.07%

Hey guys,

I followed the steps to remove the "Security Shield" virus and when I went to restart my computer I got a black desktop with "my documents" open. I have access to Task Manager where I ended explorer.exe and started a new explorer.exe task which then brings my desktop back. However, this is only a temporary fix. I also went into regedit and set the WindowsNT Shell to explorer.exe, yet the problem still persists. I also saw my Malwarebytes quarantine tab had a bunch of trojans listed and one was in the registry affecting winlogon and another under C:\Users\MyName\winlogon.exe. Both were trojan.downloader. I will post an image of this

I want my desktop back without having to use Task Manager etc

Thanks!

A:Vista Blank/black desktop

I got a black desktop with "my documents" open.Check the userinit value toohttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/555294Good luck

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/441927/vista-blankblack-desktop/
Relevancy 106.64%

I use XP Home Edition. I was trying to change my desktop appearance, and clicked on "My current theme" under the themes tab. My desktop changed to all black, including the lettering; just the icons are there, but they are tiny, as if the resolution was changed to the highest setting. I tried getting back to the desktop properties, but since the lettering is black I cannot read anything and I don't know where to click to change anything. Is there a keyboard shortcut I could use or some other way I can get back to a normal screen? I no longer have the XP disk, so cannot reformat.

A:Solved: Black lettering on black screen

Hi, Sorry that no one replied to you.....and, I noticed that this thread is marked as "Solved".... did you manage to fix the problem?

I am sure help is still available here!

We like to have members post how they fixed something - so if you did, could you come back and post how? Thanks!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-black-lettering-on-black-screen.1064939/
Relevancy 106.64%

When I turn on my computer, it's all fine until after I login. I get these patches of small black rectangles all over my screen which stay above windows and everything (see attatched photo). I located it down to being an issue with dwm.exe as the boxes go away when I end that task. I just don't know how I should go about repairing this issue. I have Windows 7 x64 Ultimate.

A:Black Rectangles/Black Boxes All Over The Screen

Quote: Originally Posted by darkarchonlord

When I turn on my computer, it's all fine until after I login. I get these patches of small black rectangles all over my screen which stay above windows and everything (see attatched photo). I located it down to being an issue with dwm.exe as the boxes go away when I end that task. I just don't know how I should go about repairing this issue. I have Windows 7 x64 Ultimate.

Do you have a backup you can restore from?
do you have a win 7 dvd, to do a repair install?

Ken

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/79838-black-rectangles-black-boxes-all-over-screen.html
Relevancy 106.64%

Hello guys, maybe somebody had the same problem, my friend has a hp hdx 9300 was working fine the all of a sudden the laptop switched off and when rebooted the screen is completly black, tried an external vga, its black, tried an external hdmi and its all black. We can hear the hd working, dvd running.... all lights are ok, tried everything in the trouble shooting of hp web site ... nothing. Anybody can give us a hand?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/Hdx-9300-black-screen-and-hdmi-black/td-p/5677626
Relevancy 106.21%

Hi In a on Windows desktop screen of instead black starts window a nutshell After login I find a black screen instead of the desktop and an error message appears quot explorer exe - error the application was enable to start correctly xC quot Windows starts on a black screen instead of desktop window The later another popup appears there as a problem starting c windows system WerConCpl ddl quot Access is denied quot In details When I turn on my computer I reach the logon screen where i choose my account type my password windows logs in but instead of reaching my desktop I find a black screen and a popup appears saying quot explorer exe - error the application was enable to start correctly xC Click Ok to close the application quot A bit later another popup appears saying quot there as a problem starting c windows system WerConCpl ddl quot Access is denied quot Using Window Task Manager I can start some application firefox starcraft vlc thunderbird but I cant open a pdf file for example nitropdf cant start the same popup appears quot nitropdf eror the application was enable to start correctly xC Click Ok to close the application quot I cant open files or softawre such as Deluged torrent related I would say any application that needs Windows Explorer to work wont start whereas stand-alone application are able to work properly It all started long time ago once upon a time explorer exe refused to start properly sometimes same symptom as now blacl screen at start so I had to use Window Task Manager and kill quot explorer exe quot and start New Task xplorer exe and the problem was solved Then Windows started telling me I should do a disk check I always refused but one day it tricked me and did it while starting it fixed the hard disk by spotting a few dead block and quarantine them but I think some of those blocks were critical which was what i feared and led me to always refuse the disk check and since then I have the current problem I described beforehand So i have a samsung intel corei windows home premium go memory I cant find again the DOS command I tried already so probably one of you will propose me the same command again and i'll say that i already tried it It was a command with an option that checks Windows files and is supposed to repair the system files if they are corrupted but it doesnt find any problem Any suggestion is welcome thank you in advance for your help Regards

A:Windows starts on a black screen instead of desktop window

I think you're thinking of the DOS command chkdsk /f/r. It sounds like you've already run it.

Try this tutorial on how to run SFC /SCANNOW. Run it three times, rebooting between each time and see what happens:
SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/398577-windows-starts-black-screen-instead-desktop-window.html
Relevancy 106.21%

I just installed Windows 7 Ultimate x86 architecture, and after I install, on the second restart it goes straight to a black screen (my monitor is working, it's a black display or something) right after it does the loading for Windows. If I restart, the same thing happens - safe mode works, but it tells me it can't complete the installation in safe mode and must restart, returning me to the black screen. If I "repair" it, nothing changes.

What could the issue be?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-7-issue-black-screen-after-install-no-desktop-nothing-at-all-444015.html
Relevancy 106.21%

Hey guys im new to this windows black totally help~~screen desktop loads is until forums but im hoping to get some of my questions asnwered Let me start from the beginning help~~screen is totally black until windows desktop loads so u guys know the whole backround of my home built computer I bought these parts around april of mobo asus a n help~~screen is totally black until windows desktop loads sli deluxe ram x pc crucial ballistix LED cpu AMD new castle video evga GT psu antec true sound audigy zs hard drive WD raptor gb rpm NEC a dvd r w IDE slim maxtor gb rpmhd WD gb rpm hd belkin ide condroller pci card with a WD gb hardrive connected usb iomega gb external HD ATI tv tuner tv wonder pro this rig was running perfectly fine for about - months until i started having some problems i had several problems but let me just fast forward to help~~screen is totally black until windows desktop loads the biggest one My motherboard started freezing at the first image that popped up and i couldnt even access the bios setup i RMA d it and the new board asus sent me seemed to work fine i first just hooked up the raptor hardrive ram and the nececities to run windows xp prof and it worked fine then i installed my sound card ide controller tv tuner and all those drivers installed correctly and was working fine i then plugged in of my internal hardrives on IDE port and this is when i started having problems firstly the screen would just TURN BLACK until windows loaded and the first thing id see would be my desktop i could not evne access bios because it was just black so i unplugged of my hardrives and then it worked fine and i saw the screen and thought that the other hardrive was just dead i plugged in the quot dead quot one and unplugged the one that worked fine and this also worked fine now so i turned it off and plugged both back in and same problem occured i unplugged both and STILL screen was black i turned the system off flipped the power switch off on the psu turned it back on without any hardrive except the raptor connected it ran fine i tackled back and forth messing around with all internal hardrives and i could NOT find out why they screen was turnign black on startup i calle dup asus and they told me it was driver issues so they told me to uninstall all drivers and install one at a time and find out the problem i did as they told me and i STILL had the same problem i even formatted and reinstalled windows and just plugged in one hardrive with no other extra pci slots used up and i had the same problem i set jumpers to slave and cable select and both were still acting the same way so i tried using all hardrives on my other computer and all worked perfectly fine with eachother so i thought it had to do with some hardware compatibility on my motherboard but it worked perfectly fine before all my problems started occuring i didnt want to rma and wait another - weeks for it to come back so i bought a bran new MSI sli-f motherboard this worked PERFECTLY and flawlessly UNTIL i plugged in my hardrives i had installed all my drivers correctly again and same problem occured the screen is just turning black until windows loaded i unplugged ALL hardrives including my raptor and still the same problem occured i powered down again and waited a few minutes and plugged just the raptor back in and it worked fine im not sure if this aids the problem but randomly i get the windows blue screen of death saying memory problems i have sticks of the crucial ram and i tried switching them around in different slots or using stick ive basically tried almost switching around everythign and only thign i can really think of is that my ram module is messed up but still would this cause the screen to go black i dont think so cuz it works fine when i mess around with the hardware im not sure if you guys understand fully my problem but ALL HELP is greatly appreciated also just ask me questions and ill try to answer them the best i can thansk a bunch guys nbsp

A:help~~screen is totally black until windows desktop loads

is the raptor your boot drive.?...put one HD onthe primary IDE connector ...try putting only one of the IDE drives on THE IDE secondary connector with a CD drive as slave

I'm done for the nite gotta eat

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-screen-is-totally-black-until-windows-desktop-loads.464092/
Relevancy 105.35%

Hi I have this year old Lenovo Y config below The discrete graphic card has In WIN Screen Mode POST During , Screen Safe Even Black 7 Black probably fried a long time ago so last year when I did a clean install of Windows I had to disable ATI Card permanently in the device manager using safe mode Black Screen During WIN 7 POST , Black Screen Even In Safe Mode and used the Intel integrated card A few days ago I booted up windows only to encounter quot A disk read error has occurred press ctrl alt del to restart quot I tried to boot up using WIN install disc but soon after the Starting Windows logo the screen Black Screen During WIN 7 POST , Black Screen Even In Safe Mode turns black and I am left with a cursor in a black screen I tried to boot into Safe Mode but still I encountered a black screen with just the cursor I booted with Ubuntu live usb and was able to access all my partition and did back up and even formatted the Windows Partition I tried to boot using a WinPe and faced the Black screen with a cursor again I even reset BIOS to default changed Graphics Adapter from quot Discrete' to quot Switchable' and vice-versa but no effect at all When I boot up using Ubuntu and ran lspci grep VGA I can see both cards listed I even tried to boot up using Windows preview disk still I get a black screen after the Windows loading screen I can't afford to buy any laptop presently since I am currently at college so using Ubuntu for now Is ther any way to install Windows again Is it possible to get the ATI Card working properly- reballing reflow Any way to permanently disable the ATI card and get windows to boot up using the integrated chip Notebook Lenovo IdeaPad Y Processor Intel Core i M Graphics Adapter Switches B W Intel HD amp ATI Mobility Radeon HD

A:Black Screen During WIN 7 POST , Black Screen Even In Safe Mode

What other graphics adapter choices are available in BIOS setup? If you choose Switchable is there software on the Lenovo site for your model that's needed? Are you using the Display adapter software from there?

Have you tested your HD with the maker's HD Diagnostic extended CD scan, followed by a full Disk Check on a single disk partition you create?

Then work through the steps for Overcoming Windows 7 Installation Failures - Windows 7 Help Forums including trying an alternate install method (disk><flash stick) with new media. These steps overcome almost all install failures, so you'll be reasonably sure the problem is hardware or BIOS settings if nothing works. But don't skip any steps.

Try Clean Install Windows 10 Technical Preview to see if there's any difference with a more modern OS install. It's already a very polished OS and worth testing this.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/351512-black-screen-during-win-7-post-black-screen-even-safe-mode.html
Relevancy 105.35%

I've been having troubles hit windows black ESC... load I Gateway un white screen won't and unless desktop with my computer recently and decided it was my graphics card I went and purchased a new one and got a new power supply to go with it I put my new hardware in and turned on my computer but it a gets stuck on my Gateway screen It says to press either F or F for BIOS or Boot options Pressing either doesn't work The only way I can get my computer to boot is to hit esp as soon as I power on my computer it'll load into the American Megatrends screen for about minute and then windows will boot If I press f or f fast enough it will say it's loading them Gateway desktop won't load windows unless I hit ESC... black screen and white un but switches into a black screen with the white underscore Side note I run dual monitor and it switches monitors for this From my HDMI to my DVI I'm not sure if it's just booting into the wrong thing Or if maybe something wasn't Gateway desktop won't load windows unless I hit ESC... black screen and white un quite plugged in right Maybe I should change where my SATA cable is plugged in Gateway Computer Model DX Windows bit Intel core i processor Two TB Hard drives GB Memory Nvidia Geforce GTX ti GB Thank you Gateway desktop won't load windows unless I hit ESC... black screen and white un in advance for your help

A:Gateway desktop won't load windows unless I hit ESC... black screen and white un

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.
 Checkmark the following checkboxes:  List last 10 Event Viewer log  List Installed Programs  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
 Click Go and paste the content into your next post.
 Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post. 
Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576753/gateway-desktop-wont-load-windows-unless-i-hit-esc-black-screen-and-white-un/
Relevancy 105.35%

Hello. I tried to speed up the boot up process by taking some applications out of the start menu/inital lunch mode as the PC boots up. However, what has happenned is that I have inadventently caused the following problem: When I start the PC and Windows 7 loads, it shows normal initializing screens then goes black for 10/15 mins prior to getting to the desktop, and then the PC runs fine. The mouse/cursor is visible and moves as I command, but nothing else.

Any ideas on how to fix this? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

A:Windows 7 boot, 10/15-mins of black screen, then desktop appears

Use your OS/recovery disk to run system repair.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-7-boot-10-15-mins-of-black-screen-then-desktop-appears.1024600/
Relevancy 104.92%

On a Windows 2000 desktop, all of the shortcuts (have the little arrow in their corners) have grey shortcut boxes with black arrows rather than the white box with black arrows like is normal. The icons themselves are fine, its the Shortcut part that is wrong.

At boot up the Windows logo has a lot of horizontal lines in the image; the Windows 2000 image on the side of the Start menu also has a lot of lines in it.

Spybot removed 32 items which fixed some of the issues (like the covered min/max/close buttons which we had) but not everything. Has anyone seen these issues? Any fix ideas? I'll run HiJack This next time I connect but I'd like a few more options to try before spending time on this issue...

A:W2k: Shortcuts are grey-and-black not white-and-black; Windows logos corrupted

For your shortcuts, try this:

Start>>Run. In Run type "assoc.lnk=lnkfile" (without the quotes), clikc OK

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/w2k-shortcuts-are-grey-and-black-not-white-and-black-windows-logos-corrupted.670339/
Relevancy 104.92%

hey i ve noticed that every time i attempt to download and install a windows xp security update the start button and tool bar bar button, start and menu black tool black updates windows turns black after i restart my pc the background of my programs list accessories system tools list etc also turns black the same thing happens when i try to open any type of desktop window whether they are my documents windows or internet explorer etc the tool bar windows updates and black start menu button, black tool bar on the right vanishes and the borders of all windows turn black tried restarting my pc but no luck if i uninstall the security updates and restart my pc the start button windows updates and black start menu button, black tool bar and windows borders and toolbars return to their usual color does anyone know what my problem is this only happens when i install windows security updates here s a list of my programs ac filter ad-aware se personal bit-tornado clone cd daemon tools ffdshow java j se runtime environment microsoft net framework office xp pc-cillin videolan winrar yahoo messenger zone alarm thanks nbsp

A:windows updates and black start menu button, black tool bar

oh and by the way, i'm using service pack 1, with no genuine validation problems...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-updates-and-black-start-menu-button-black-tool-bar.389871/
Relevancy 104.92%

Hi all, I'm currently experiencing a black / blank screen after the dell logo (my notebook is Dell).

I have tired booting into safe mode by F8 but to no avail since im on windows 8.1.

i have tired to reset the residue power as well.

i have tried to crtl alt del but it wont respond.

I can't take out the battery since it is internal as well.

however the black screen allows me to see my cursor.

Any solutions out there?

Video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NvKuiJMm0A

And it will just stay blank after that for unlimited amount of time.

A:Black / Blank Screen

Hi there

The best will be to reload that machine. I hope you have backedup your files.

The only way that I know of to get the recovery options is to force shutdown the laptop during boot 3 times. This will open the recovery options. Lets firstly try accessing safe mode to try and backup your files. If you don't need your files or have already made a backup skip the following step and Recover the system.

-----------------------------Safe Mode-------------------------------------
From the recovery menu you can click:
"See advanced repair options"
"Troublshoot"
"Advanced Options"
"Windows Startup Settings"
"Enable Safe Mode" then restart.
--------------------------------Recovery---------------------------
From the recovery menu you can click:
"See advanced repair options"
"Troublshoot"
"Dell backup and recovery"

Hope this helps
Grant

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-blank-screen.1138136/
Relevancy 104.92%

something wrong my laptop because the screen blank nothing comes up please help me ..?help help help help help help ehlep

A:screen blank or black

If you can hear the laptop running normally but nothing on the screen, the backlight may need replacing.Look closely at the screen whilst shining a torch on it. If you can see a faint image of Windows then you need to get the backlight replaced because the existing one has blown (just same as a light bulb blows when it's worn out).It's a DIY job if you know what you're doing, otherwise take it to a laptop repair shop.message edited by phil22

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-vista/screen-blank-or-black/14074.html
Relevancy 104.92%

I have been running my Blank Black Screen Windows Xp OS for a while now but due to some unexpirienced decisicions by friends and family viruses found there way on my pc I used AVG Virus Protector free edition to scan find and delete any viruses I was successful in findin over viruses and controlling the problem But there was this malware program not to sure of the name it was a red icon in the toolbar in the form Blank Black Screen of a boxing bell that caused a pop up program with the characteristics of a malware prevention program i scanned once more after and found no more threats But there still was this annoying malware program which did not have an uninstallation setup and kept on prompting quot blank quot explorer windows to open up in large quantities - boxes sequentially Eventually i deleted the file from the start gt all programs list and emptied the recycle bin As soon as i did that the pc just froze and all i could see was the desktop wallpaper I restarted it and saw the windows loading screen but no startup screen just a blank black screen then i restarted again and didnt see the windows loading screen and left it on for like an hour and nothing happened I ve turned my computer off many times after that by holding the power button down to make the beginning menu give me an option of whether I want to run windows in safe mode or normally when I turn the computer back on but i cannot find the safe mode or anymode except normal for that matter i ve tried tapping the F key but nothing happens My hard drive is the primary device on which to boot from and I have no idea if windows does start properly and I just cannot see the interface but i really dont think it s the screen because from all the forums i ve read its the same thing just a different cause i my case The beginning menu that I talk about I can only use a keyboard and it has the colour scheme of windows command prompt I would really like your help to try and get this thing fixed today without formatting the hard disk Please nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/blank-black-screen.680548/
Relevancy 104.92%

Hello! i got an advent 7094 and yesterday morning when i tried to start mi laptop there is nothing except a black blank screen. At opening there is the normal intel logo display and afterthat there is only black sceen.i tried connecting it to my desktop screen and still there is no sign. HELP PLS T_T_T_T_T_T_T

Relevancy 104.92%

I have a Toshiba S126 Laptop, has worked flawlessly since purchase. Yesterday, I installed a new Lexmark printer, and it worked until about 3:00pm. then my screen went black. couldn't get it to do anything, so I rebooted. During boot up, the Toshiba screen appears, the command lines appear, and the initial Windows screen appears, then it goes completely black. The hard drive continues to spin, and I assume load the rest of Windows.
At this point I am stuck, and any help is appreciated.

Mike Kingsley

A:Screen goes Blank/Black

Hi Mike,
Try starting in 'Safe Mode', and uninstall the printer drivers to see if that rectifies the problem, or in XP try 'Safe Mode' and 'System Restore'. Sounds like the printer installation has possibly corrupted the Video Drivers.
Bowmar

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/screen-goes-blank-black.494978/
Relevancy 104.49%

The jist of it win xp antivirus desktop,no manager task XP, to access blank/Black quarantined winlogon exe and some others now the computer comes up to a blank black desktop can t access task manager to delete antivirus I ve already replaced the winlogon exe The whole story Os is XP about a month ago I had AVG antivirus tell me there was a virus in winlogon exe and to delete or quarantine it I did so and the computer would only come up to a blank desktop background I XP, blank/Black desktop,no access to task manager was able to get to task manager and remove AVG releasing winlogon exe and it was working fine I replaced the infected winlogon exe with a clean one and again it got infected I left it alone I just need to get on my computer About days ago now I installed Kaspersky Antivirus but didn t get to do a scan myself My wife got on the computer and Kaspersky popped up saying to quarantine delete a few infected files she did not knowing it would affect anything Now its doing the same thing as before blank desktop this time without a background and I can t access the task manager I assumed that Kaspersky found the winlogon exe file and again stopped it from loading at start up just as AVG did resulting in a blank desktop Only this time I could not access the task manager to delete the Kaspersky program So I got a NTFS boot disk and went in and renamed the Kaspersky folder hoping to stop it from loading This still did not work I even renamed the program files folder So now I am stuck Help

A:XP, blank/Black desktop,no access to task manager

When you try to run Task Manager, do you get the "Disabled by Administrator" error or does it just not appear?

Can you get the taskbar and taskmanager running if you go into safe mode by pressing F8 as the PC boots?

BMR777

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/xp-blank-black-desktop-no-access-to-task-manager-195524.html
Relevancy 103.63%

Hey, i had an error message after doing a Non-Destructive system restore called "NTLDL is Compressed" so i do a few more Non-Destructive restores to see if it helped and it never. So i started spamming keys on the restart, i hit F2 a few times after to go to the boot menu and just went to a blank black screen. No it does nothing when i restart, just goes to a blank black screen. Please Help.

A:Black Blank Screen On Start Up.

sounds kind of like a hardware issue, I would start by removing everything you don't need to start the machine, including the CD-rom, floppy, ... PCI devices

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/black-blank-screen-on-start-up-138401.html
Relevancy 103.63%

Downloaded a virus into my computer 2 weeks ago - ran Microsoft Security Essentials to scan & clean.
Downloaded microsoft updates this week, computer froze so I shut it down. Now it won't even reboot........
I am hopelessly illiterate when it comes to this sort of stuff - is it time to dump this computer? It was a rebuilt system to start with......

A:No BSOD - just a blank, black screen...

Now it won't even reboot........Click to expand...

Describe this in more detail. What exactly happens?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-bsod-just-a-blank-black-screen.152107/
Relevancy 103.63%

what is causing my screen to go blank/black then back on(or not) and I have to restart??

Mod's Edit: Additional information added to Subject line for clarity of issue.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-A-B-C-N-S-Flex-Horizon/Lenovo-C4-C5-Blank-Black-screen/td-p/3373651
Relevancy 103.63%

everything started everything blank screen** works else **black goin wrong when i went into my bios configuration my usb hardware **black blank screen** everything else works wasnt being recognize in windows so i went to adjust the options and changed the usb function to enable i also did some other things although my graphic card is agp on the primary graphic it says pci so i changed it to agp **black blank screen** everything else works graphic winsize was mb i changed it to mb cpu was mhz i turn on the overclocked and change it to mhz and then restart and everything went wrong it stayed with the black screen when i turn on my computer everything works but my monitor stays blank even with different video cards i tried with also thought if it was my monitor so i went to my bros computer and try it but nope even my bros monitor stayed black so it has to be the motherboard itself my fans harddrive and whatever works mouse optic works but keyboard doesnt seem to get any signal tower light stays green but when turned on it turns to orange jes like the monitor i also try taking every card out sound card graphic card and my harddrives since it was the harddrive that i change the configuration in but nope still doesnt work i google my probelm and tried everything and still no luck my specs gig duron mb geforce agp im jes hopin i didnt fried that damn im pretty sure it aint fried becuz it can still be turned on nbsp

A:**black blank screen** everything else works

What Kind of Motherboard.....

....and is there any way to reset it back to default. Have you looked through the motherboard manual if this is a self-build? If not, can you get the motherboard model and check the manufacturer's website for a manual? Not sure if you fried your chip, but it could be....or it may just be the system is buckling because it won't accept the overclock.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/black-blank-screen-everything-else-works.61375/
Relevancy 103.63%

Okay so my computer became unresponsive while browsing the internet multiple tabs. So i was forced to turn it off by pressing the button on the computer. Then when i went to turn it on it will display the sony vaio screen, then the intell pentium processor screen(normal for booth up, both of those), but then it just goes blank. Please, how cna i fix this !! Thank you so much!

Relevancy 103.63%

I have a dual boot machine Win Xp and on Screen Black XP Blank Boot Vista Machine My Power Supply died over a week ago and since I replaced the power supply the XP partition does this blank Blank Black Screen on XP Boot screen issue The Vista partition did not have an issue just the XP partition I even backed everything up wiped Blank Black Screen on XP Boot the drive and did a fresh new install of XP first and it was fine until I finished the install On reboot the blank screen issue came back I popped Blank Black Screen on XP Boot in my Vista CD and did the Vista install on restart and have my dual boot back with Vista working fine and XP doing the blank black screen after the loading screen goes away Safe Mode does the same just hangs at mup and does not progress I tried the Last Known Config and that still produced the same Blank Black Screen I cleared the CMOS and still same issue This might be a Power Issue as it never did this with my previous Watt OCZ Elitestream Power Supply I am not sure how to fix this any help on this would be great I have been able to have the XP partition boot up off a cold boot with the machine being off for over minutes but if I was to reboot the black screen would appear again My spec is a W Antec Power Supply E Dual Core Intel CPU XFX i LT Nforce Mobo XFX Ultra GTX Nvidia Cards SLI Gig of Memory Asus Xonar D X Sound Card GB HD - Main Drive B Storage Drive G nd Storage Drive Hard Drive

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/blank-black-screen-on-xp-boot-353379.html
Relevancy 103.63%

Toshiba Satellite A105 laptop, win xp SP2 will not do anything.

Turned it on and first screen I get is Windows did not start properly last time please choose: Safemode,Safe mode with network, safe mode with command prompt or start normal or last know good configuration. None of them work. Once I choose one I get the coursor and the cursor only with a black screen;the cursor will move

Put the restore disk in and directions say to hold down c key until I see toshiba sign and let it go. It Checks cd boot cd rom, then loads ramdisk image, then I see toshiba recovery tool, then back to toshiba screen, then it goes to the boot options listed above: This is the directions on the recovery cd.

have no idea where to go from here other than to the Techguy.org, lol.

Thanks

Relevancy 103.63%

I have a HP pavalion laptop PentIII 4yrs old It seems that when I turn the laptop on it has a blank screen no reboot no xp nothing not sure do u think its the hard drive not sure any input appreciated...
thanks
anthony

Relevancy 103.63%

No Explorer Start Menu Wallpaper blank screen Black Blank WIN - Problem XP Screen CTRL-ALT-DEL to access task manager to start basic applications I ve seen several posts that have similar symptoms and have tried to run the proposed Black Blank Screen - WIN XP Problem solutions on this system to no avail I ve run these applications just prior to running the HiJackThis snap shot - TrojanHunter - CleanUp - Adaware SE - Spybot Search amp Destroy - AVG free a Problem not solved Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files STOPzilla szntsvc exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS System dllhost exe C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgupsvc exe C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgamsvr exe C Program Files Grisoft AVG Free avgcc exe C WINDOWS System taskmgr exe C Program Files Microsoft Office Office OUTLOOK EXE C Program Files Internet Explorer IEXPLORE EXE C Documents and Settings ToddJune Desktop SpyKiller HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page C WINDOWS PCHEALTH HELPCTR System panels blank htm O - BHO IEHooks Class - - - - - - no file O - BHO no name - D -C F - efb- B - ECA - no file O - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO no name - - F - D - - D F - C Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy SDHelper dll O - BHO STOPzilla Browser Helper Object - E F - - D - F B- D B D - C WINDOWS System SZIEBHO dll O - Toolbar no name - DA C - F- a- CD- CFE CFF - no file O - Toolbar amp Radio - E - F- D - E- A C - C WINDOWS System msdxm ocx O - HKLM Run P P Networking C WINDOWS System P P Networking P P Networking exe AUTOSTART O - HKLM Run STOPzilla quot C Program Files STOPzilla Stopzilla exe quot autorun O - HKLM Run P P Networking C WINDOWS System P P Networking P P Networking exe AUTOSTART O - HKLM Run QuickTime Task quot C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe quot -atboottime O - HKLM Run P P Networking C WINDOWS System P P Networking P P Networking exe AUTOSTART O - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateSched C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe O - HKLM Run ViewMgr C Program Files Viewpoint Viewpoint Manager ViewMgr exe O - HKLM Run KAVPersonal quot C Program Files Kaspersky Lab Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal kav exe quot minimize O - HKLM Run THGuard quot C Program Files TrojanHunter THGuard exe quot O - HKLM Run SRFirstRun rundll srclient dll CreateFirstRunRp O - HKLM Run AVG CC C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgcc exe STARTUP O - HKLM RunOnce GrpConv grpconv -u O - HKLM RunOnce WMC RebootCheck C WINDOWS inf unregmp exe FixUps O - HKCU Run MSMSGS quot C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe quot background O - HKCU Run FreeRAM XP quot CLARKOFFICE Todd My Documents Downloads FreeRAMpro FreeRAM XP Pro exe quot -win O - HKCU Run AIM C Documents and Settings Marisa My Documents My Webs private aim exe -cnetwait odl O - Global Startup Adobe Reader Speed Launch lnk C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Reader reader sl exe O - Global Startup WinZip Quick Pick lnk C Program Files WinZip WZQKPICK EXE O - Extra context menu item Open Picture in amp Microsoft PhotoDraw - res C PROGRA MICROS Office phdintl dll phdContext htm O - Extra button no name - B E C - FCB- CF-AAA - C - C Program Files Java jre bin npjpi dll O - Extra Tools menuitem Sun Java Console - B E C - FCB- CF-AAA - C - C Program Files Java jre bin npjpi dll O - Extra button AIM - AC E - - d -BC D- B D A DE - C Documents and Settings Marisa My Documents My Webs private aim exe O - Extra button Related - c fe - f d- d -a b- aa c a - C WINDOWS web related htm O - Extra Tools menuitem Show amp Related Links - c fe - f d- d -a b- aa c a - C WINDOWS web related htm O - DPF A BB - - EC-... Read more

A:Black Blank Screen - WIN XP Problem

Assistance offered here: http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?t=393137
Closing duplicate thread.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-blank-screen-win-xp-problem.392929/
Relevancy 103.63%

Yes. I know what I should do.

Change balanced plan and Power saver to both
Turn off the display NEVER
Put the computer to sleep NEVER.

So why the monitor goes blank (Black) until I touch the mouse or keyboard.

A:screen goes blank (black) after inactivity

Is there an active screen saver?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/335935-screen-goes-blank-black-after-inactivity.html
Relevancy 103.63%

Hello So i upgraded RAM using RAM Screen Blank/Black After Upgrade Corsair Blank/Black Screen After RAM Upgrade DDR SODIMM x GB Mhz after installation the PC Blank/Black Screen After RAM Upgrade starts up but the screen is blank black nbsp steps I tried with st socket using only one RAM Screen Black Blank I tried with nd socket using only one RAM with the Same RAM of step Screen Black Blank I tried step and using the other RAM Screen Black Blanknow here it gets interesting Tried st socket using Original Factory RAM Screen Black Blank/Black Screen After RAM Upgrade Blank Tried nd socket using Original Factory RAM Screen Black Blank Tried without any RAM at all it sounds the missing RAM sound Screen Black Blank nbsp Now in every step taken i must say that the screen its not just not showing stuff but its totaly black like it doesnt power up at all in the mean time the system starts up normaly Is it Possible the RAM upgrade to affect the screen or maybe when i was replacing the RAM i touched some cable conecting to screen or something nbsp HP All-in-ONE PCProduct No G B AA ABAModel No - w nbsp Windows bit nbsp Solved View Solution

A:Blank/Black Screen After RAM Upgrade

Update Removed the battery and hold the power button for 30sec (BIOS reset if i am not mistaken?) now it is working with the orginal RAM so i guess my new RAM its the problem!

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Blank-Black-Screen-After-RAM-Upgrade/td-p/5590832
Relevancy 103.63%

Hi I have a boot up problem Here is a transcript of a problem which I referred to HP Email support on and their reply In the first place their solution worked but only temporarily and in the last week Black up on screen blank boot I have struggled everyday to get the laptop to boot up Today it will not boot up at all - Again the screen is black I heard Windows start up sound but nothing appears on screen In the last week on several occasions when trying to boot up I got an error message which said the computer was unable to start and offered me a repair and I chose yes and it then said it could not repair and would do a system restore which it successfully did Me to Black blank screen on boot up HP I am unable to boot up my Notebook the power is on and everything is connected but the screen remains blank I can hear the start up sound but the screen remains blank I have tried powering off and booting up again but nothing happens I have Black blank screen on boot up tapped on f to start in safe mode but safe mode will not start Model H P Pavilion dv Series Notebook PC dv ea Product Number KMO EA ABU Date Of Purchase Service ID Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium bit HP to me Hi Keith Thank you for writing to us From your email I see that your notebook does not boot up and displays blank screen I can understand your concern Keith the issue might cause due to static charges present on the notebook or due to the internal hardware malfunction of the system board In order to isolate the issue I recommend you to perform power drain and check with the issue Power Drain To perform power drain follow the steps below Shut the computer down Disconnect the AC adapter and remove the battery Press the power button down for about - seconds Reconnect the AC adapter and the battery Restart the computer Try restarting the computer only with the AC power without the battery amp vice-versa If the issue still persists after performing the power drain then the issue clearly indicates that it is due to the internal hardware malfunction of the system board and it needs onsite diagnosis by the HP technician As your notebook is not covered under normal factory warranty I recommend you to contact your nearest HP authorized service provider nbsp

Relevancy 103.63%

When using the laptop it sometimes goes blank black mostly when I am online viewing videos but it also does it while not online and using Microsoft Word There is no warning s... screen the While goes blank laptop using sometimes (black) nor a blue screen showing any information of what is wrong I have tried taking While using laptop the screen goes blank (black) sometimes s... the laptop to a computer tech and he tapped the back of the screen hit the base several times and pushed on the bottom edge of the screen but it still worked fine He re-installed the graphics driver but it still did it nbsp I have had the notebook since December It is a used computer but it worked fine until June of this year when it started freezing The only solution for me is to unplug teh charger remove the battery from the bottom and let it sit for awhile though it only gives me now maybe - minutes of use and it starts all over again of freezing and I do the steps of removing the charger and battery all over again SOmetimes it tries to re-boot but only reaches the HP logo and the squiggly lines appear and I have to turn off the machine and let it rest It doesn't appear to be overheating nbsp but I have tried to put a gap between the table and bottom of the laptop but it still freezes gives me the blank screen

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/While-using-laptop-the-screen-goes-blank-black-sometimes/td-p/5754784
Relevancy 103.63%

So I just got a brand new Samsung laptop about a week ago It is a gaming computer screen black when Blank on turned It's been running fine but now I have a problem I had two tabs and a game open on my computer I was on one of the tabs when this happened My screen froze and there was some bars that went across the screen small bars So I held down the power button to turn it off I then tried to turn it on again The power buttoned turned blue like normal but the screen stays black No Samsung logo like it does when it's usually starting up Does anyone know what the problem is and how it can be solved I unplugged and took the battery out just thinking it needs to be rested for a bit When this Blank black screen when turned on happened it was quite hot it has probably been on for hours and this is daily too Is it just because of overheating

A:Blank black screen when turned on

It could possibly be a graphics card error try and find out more about the graphics card installed into your laptop and its common errors.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/blank-black-screen-when-turned-on-671438.html
Relevancy 103.63%

Hi The system device menu showed a couple of yellow question marks of which one was a VGA driver I uninstalled it and tried re loading the drivers Windows was searching for the drivers and I left it to it When I came back the screen was black I presumed it had gone to sleep and moved the mouse Nothing It was completely black The power was on but ordinary screen your not black/blank there was nothing on the screen A reboot brought back the usual startup screen followed by the Windows XP logo and the blue quot progress quot bar But the screen then goes black again The not your ordinary black/blank screen startup sound can be heard I have tried to reboot in safe mode by pressing f on reboot but nothing not your ordinary black/blank screen works - Ie not your ordinary black/blank screen i dont get the option to boot from safe mode it continues to boot as normal I cant see a start button so cant do anything via msconfig either It wont boot from the XP disc or from the motherboard dvd Any ideas Thanks in advance nbsp

Relevancy 103.63%

Hi guys I have a dell inspiron labtop about - years old that I use at home and in my car for datalogging the cars information while driving racing To put it simply when I start the computer up it runs but the screen is black blank the whole time Now keep in mind some issues I had previously were the following while the computer was running the screen would go blank out of no where We found out that the harddrive was shot and replaced it While using my labtop in the car I d notice that the screen is not as sturdy as it was brand new meaning when we d hit bumps on the road the screen would move slightly due to possibly the hinges not being tight any more Well anyway with this movement I suspected that was one of the Black/blank At Startup Screen reasonings why my screen would all of a sudden go blank black Because if I d use both of my hands to hold the screen so it wouldn t have a chance to move it seemed like the screen would be ok and not shut off turn black Those were the quot beggining quot issues before this black screen at startup thing happened Not sure if they re related or not Black/blank Screen At Startup Anyway now is now and the screen doesn t light up at all Black/blank Screen At Startup I see Black/blank Screen At Startup nothing at start up yet the computer will run until I shut it off manually Any info would be appreciated

A:Black/blank Screen At Startup

Hiya mate, welcome to the forum, hope we can be of some assistance!

Sorry to hear about your problem. It sounds to me that the screen maybe kaput, a quick way to find out is to connect your laptop to a monitor, this way the laptop should hopefully output whats on the laptop to the monitor. Give that a try and see what happens.

If not luck pop back and we'll see what we can do!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/107772/blackblank-screen-at-startup/
Relevancy 103.63%

I recently bought a radeon x Sapphire card x agp mb worked very nicely at first tried it on all my high end games doom blackwhite painkiller to see how the performance was compared to my if it was worth it it sure was what a screen at help black startup Blank up? HUGE difference can run all my games on high settings look very nice never knew this cheap card Blank black screen at startup up? help would provide such good game-play Oh ya forgot the driver cd didn t not work dvd drive couldn t detect cd so i just downloaded it from ati instead works on my regular cdrw drive strange So when i restart my pc it just hangs there blank black screen same as my last pc that i thought i fryed it at first having Blank black screen at startup up? help second thoughts about my other one never knew this card uses an extra power extension and yes i have it connected And when i switch to my tuner card works fine no black screen And i bought extra ram for the card also Have no idea what i did wrong or installed wrong or am i doing something wrong or did the card just die on me the first day my pc is athlon pc chip board socket A m series ddr GB ram x HD x HD x Dvd dual drive x cdrw drive unconnected Power supply is rosewill that came with the cheap case W nbsp

Relevancy 103.63%

thanks in advance for helping me
i have a dell latitude running windows xp
i was having problems with it
so i was running gmer on it
while i was running it i got the bsod
then the computer restarted with check disk
since then i cant get the computer started not even in safe start mode
i do have an option to use windows recovery when i go through the start up but nothing is working
thanks again

A:blank black screen after startup

Does this concern the same computer as the topic here? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic425883.html

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/431899/blank-black-screen-after-startup/
Relevancy 103.63%

Hi, my desktop's been having some problems recently. When I switch it on, it loads just fine. However when it comes to the point in time where it is supposed to show the blue start up screen with "Welcome", the entire screen turns blank. And it just remains that way. There isn't any start up tone too. I've tried rebooting numerous times in normal and safe modes and nothing. Is it a graphic card problem? I do not wish to reformat, quite a fair bit of my school work is in there, I can't risk losing them... And it's urgent since I have most of my portfolio files in there...

Please and thank you!

Melesa

A:Black/blank Screen At Start Up

Do you have a dual monitor setup currently or in the past?

Do you only have ONE video adapter?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/132304/blackblank-screen-at-start-up/
Relevancy 103.63%

It's definitely a problem with the graphics card.

It started this morning. When I login on any user, nothing shows up, not even a cursor. It's just black.
So I got into safe mode and disabled my graphics card (intel 965 integrated) and everything worked.

However the special effects and graphics are all disabled. What should I do?
The driver I have installed is the latest one.

A:Blank Black Screen After Login

Some recent Windows updates have this bug, that makes Windows screen black after logging in.Fix for this from PrevX : http://www.prevx.com/blog/140/Black-Screen...sta-and-XP.html

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/277651/blank-black-screen-after-login/
Relevancy 103.63%

I have an HP Model: SR5333WM desk top. This morning upon start up the image went hay wire, then a black screen and a series of 1 short beep followed by 1 longer beep. I unplugged the system for another reboot, but upon turning the system on, I get the beeps and no output to the monitor. I hear the fans and the system is powered up, but nothing on the monitor.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/blank-black-screen-and-beeps.996835/
Relevancy 103.63%

right basically i start up my laptop and some times it will load straight up and show me the login screen were as other times it will just hang befor the login screen just a black screen but the monitor is active because u can tell it is on does anyone know what the problem is and how to fix it. I have reinstalled Vista however the problem remains =[ help PLZ

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/blank-black-screen-of-death-lol-196394.html
Relevancy 103.63%

Hello I have an month old Toshiba L S laptop I have never had an issue with it I work from home off of it hours a day monday-friday On saturday I was Black/blank/no help! screen updatess, please after browsing the web and near the bottom right of my screen i saw there were Black/blank/no screen after updatess, please help! new updates available for my windows I proceeded to install the recommended updates and received a prompt that my lap top needed to shutdown for the changes to take effect Well it never came back on When I power it on the charger battery and power on leds light up green and the hard drive led flashes for a few seconds then goes off I can hear my fan and hard drive running and the disk drive will open and light up when I close it But there is no activity on the screen not the Toshiba or windows welcome screen or the black screen of death I did the take the battery out and remove the charger hold the power key for seconds thing times I also held down the zero key and the f and the f and still nothing on the screen So i hooked up an external monitor and tried the Fn F buttons and the screen immediately says monitor going to sleep and shuts off I dont know what else to do I really dont want to bring it some where and be charged for them to tell me its the motherboard It cant be I was using it with no issues up until windows prompted me to run the new updates BTW Toshiba techs told me it was software related and referred me to Microsoft who referred me to Toshiba because its a hardware matter They didn t understand that I could not get to BIOS because I have no screen and its not broken because i could see right before the upgrade Can someone please help me I dont know what else to do Thank you for your time nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-blank-no-screen-after-updatess-please-help.999731/
Relevancy 103.63%

Hi guys Basically as the title suggests when I turn on my PC it powers up I hear fans spinning yet my screen will stay black To add to this when it stays blank my keyboard also does not light up So far the only way for me to access my PC is to turn it off and on a few times usually including completely disconnecting it from the power for a short while PC Specs Windows Ultimate bit screen my still on PC black/blank? Turns is BUT AMD FX tm - Six-Core Processor GeForce GTX GB RAM PC Power amp Cooling Silencer EPS V W Power Supply Rocca ISKU Illuminated Gaming Keyboard PC Turns on BUT my screen is still black/blank? Rocca XTD Gaming Mouse First time having a gaming mouse keyboard so I was not sure if maybe they caused problems sucked extra power etc I m not too experienced with the ins and outs of computers but all I can think is maybe my PSU is not giving PC Turns on BUT my screen is still black/blank? enough power though I get no warning beeps my Keyboard might be the issue I hope you guys can help I ve thought maybe do I need to update the BIOS If so how do I do that nbsp

A:PC Turns on BUT my screen is still black/blank?

Is this a new build that will not post or has it been running then developed a problem?

Have you tried disconnecting ALL drives [both hd and optical] removing any usb device ie printer, scanner, hub, etc and then pw ON? See if the mb will reliably complete POST. If it does complete post a few times, then start connecting devices one at a time until you find the failed part. If it does not complete POST in the above config, then you will need to start swapping parts with known good units; start with the pw supply.

Next post ALL of your exact system specs; ie exact mb installed, exact ram installed, etc. Note 8gig of ram does not really tell us much; 8gig of corsair 123xxx, tells us a lot more.

If you can get the system to post, enter the bios or uefi and post the following info; cpu temp, system temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/pc-turns-on-but-my-screen-is-still-black-blank.1121339/
Relevancy 102.77%

When i start my labtop the screen turns on the Dell logo that shows its loading once that page goes off my screen wont turn from black? If i go to power options it stays on for like 3 more seconds then goes out agian.

A:Screen Black lights Up Black

flourescent tube is out where can i find a new one?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/screen-black-lights-up-black-441173.html
Relevancy 102.34%

Hi I have win installed for a few weeks now which I have been working on and off playing in a bios duel boot setup to see if I like win while keeping my win setup Every thing screen black from 8 (blank) Pro sleep wake Win After x64 has been fine until for the first time I put the computer into sleep after I tried to wake it up the computer started up but the screen was still in the standby state I then had to do a reset as this was the only way I could get the computer to start It went through the boot process and opened to the desktop it a state which showed it had Win 8 Pro x64 After wake from sleep black (blank) screen booted from a hibernation state doc left on desk top open how I left it I tied a few options I had read in the forums like turning off quot powercfg -H off quot and rebooted but this did not fix anything I tried a selective start up in misconfig like a safe mode start and this time when I went to try sleep then tried to wake the computer the monitor at least started up from its sleep mode but was black blank The win x on the duel boot sleeps wakes fine with no problems I Win 8 Pro x64 After wake from sleep black (blank) screen guess the only difference between them is the win is installed on a SSD any further information you need please ask

A:Win 8 Pro x64 After wake from sleep black (blank) screen

Just an update, Been doing a lot of searching of the internet about my problem and I was about to give in, I kept thinking it was my GPU drivers. But I was wrong

I was thinking I might have had some ideas off people from my post, but I guess without it crashing and giving a bsod it made it hard to find what was the problem.

Just to give help to anyone else reading this post I think I have found the answer . I though I had the most up to date drivers for my ACHI controller from the Asus website which where newer than what I had installed.

But once I found out that I had a Intel 5 series chipset, I found some more up to date drivers on Intel's website. Even though when I went there before and ran an online scan it did not offer any updated drivers (I guess Asus had changed them so Intel did not know them to update?)

So the moral I guess is if you think you might have up to date drivers maybe sometimes you need to keep looking, Hope this helps someone as this is a great forum.

http://www.eightforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/13546-win-8-pro-x64-after-wake-sleep-black-blank-screen.html
Relevancy 102.34%

I have a Thosiba laptop which is about 4 years old. When i start it up, i can see the THOSHIBA writing but then the screen goes black. I even can go into select boot device if i press F12 or CMOS settings if i press F2. But even if i try to boot from a windows disc, the screen goes black but i can hear the laptop being on as all fans and cd rom spin.I have windows Xp on it. Im am really confused cause i can hear things on but the screen stays black. I have even used another monitor and it reacts the same way so i know the fault is with the laptop. Any ideas guys.

Relevancy 102.34%

I started having issues yesterday the day after I installed teamviewer a program that is on my iPad also to remotely control the laptop At first the screen started freezing when I was in the middle of a Java game So I restarted the laptop only to have it freeze at the main screen after login The screen would freeze the display would change to a very low resolution I think So I kept restarting it only to repeat Until eventually once past the windows logo the screen would turn black and blank Sometimes turns to blank black screen Display on the display would turn on black and blank and other times it would do that after the logo A few times I managed to get it to go into safe mode and I restored Display turns on to blank black screen to a few days ago but it made no difference I also tried many other things like changing some settings but nothing worked So after like or hours I Rolled back and disabled quot nvidia quadro nvs m quot since I read it might be causing the issue and I should uninstall it which I couldn t once I disabled it I restarted the computer and made it to the main screen without issues and I could even load my game I enabled it again And restarted the computer only to have the same issues so I disabled it again after finally getting into safe mode I don t know if it works fine now I left it on at most for - minutes without any issues and I never actually logged into the game to see if it works Like I said I tried restoring to an earlier time but I think the issue is with that particular driver but I have no idea how to fix it nbsp

A:Display turns on to blank black screen

Go here:
http://www.nvidia.com/download/ScannForce.aspx?lang=en-us
Check automatically for a video driver for the on-board "nvidia quadro nvs 135m" video card. Doing this may solve your problem

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/display-turns-on-to-blank-black-screen.207799/
Relevancy 102.34%

I was having trouble with XP booting to a blank or black screen after the XP splash screen is displayed. Since there was nothing of importance on the hardrive I decided to do a clean install including the formatting of the hard drive. I am able to boot into safe mode without any issues. I have followed some of the support articles from Microsoft in one of the articles it states tha while in safe mode to stop explorer.exe and see if it restarts automatically. I tried this as part of the trouble shooting and explorer.exe will not restart.

So at this point I am at a loss especially since this is a clean install. The machine is a Dell Demension 2350.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A:XP professional boots to black/blank screen

Hello firemarshal98

Disconnect all peripherals and remove all cards except the video card and see if that helps.

If that does not help try running the Dell Diagnostics

I think it is safe to assume the hard drive is OK

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/xp-professional-boots-to-black-blank-screen-286146.html
Relevancy 102.34%

I started having issues yesterday the day after I installed teamviewer a program that is on my iPad also to remotely control the laptop At first the screen started freezing when I was in the middle of a Java game So I restarted the laptop only to have it freeze at the main screen after login The screen would freeze the display would change to a very on and Computer screen blank display black low resolution I think So I kept restarting it only to repeat Until eventually once past the windows logo the screen would turn black and blank Sometimes the display would turn on black and blank and other times it would do that after the logo A few times I managed to get it to go into safe mode and I restored to a few days ago but it made no difference I Computer display on screen black and blank also tried many other things like changing some settings but nothing worked So after like or hours I Rolled back and disabled quot nvidia quadro nvs m quot since I read it might be causing the issue and I should uninstall it which I couldn t once I disabled it I restarted the computer and made it to the main screen without issues and I could even load my game I enabled it again And restarted the computer only to have the same issues so I disabled it again after finally getting into safe mode I don t know if it works fine now I left it on at most for - minutes without any issues and Computer display on screen black and blank I never actually logged into the game to see if it works Like I said I tried restoring to an earlier time but I think the issue is with that particular driver but I have no idea how to fix it nbsp

A:Computer display on screen black and blank

Go to Control Panel > Device Manager. Then right click on the video driver and select Update. This will check online for any updates to the driver.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-display-on-screen-black-and-blank.1140276/
Relevancy 102.34%

Hi. I was infected with Antivirus 2009 or something similar about a week ago. Ran malwarebytes (I think that's the correct name) and have had no problems since. I was scanning some photos when the program shut down and went to blue screen with message that windows had encountered a problem and shut down. I turned off my laptop and tried to reboot but have gotten nothing but a blank, black screen. No cursor, no login info, no options. Have tried F8. Have removed and reinserted RAM. Tried starting up with and without battery. Tried connecting to external monitor.

My laptop is an HP dv1660se running Windows XP Home with SP3.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Additional info: My antivirus software is eset NOD 32.

Malwarebytes removed these files: tcpservice2.exe; zserv.dll; wstart.dll

I originally posted on the virus forum and Mark suggested I post here.

A:Blank, black screen. No logon or cursor.

Have you reviewed how to use your HP software to overcome system problems?

Any tools for repairing problems...ought to be covered in the owner's manual or the HP website.

By chance...do you have a Microsoft XP CD?

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/201976/blank-black-screen-no-logon-or-cursor/
Relevancy 102.34%

I started having issues yesterday the day after I installed teamviewer a program that is on my and startup screen blank black Computer iPad also to remotely control the laptop At first the screen started freezing when I was in the middle of a Java game So I restarted the laptop only to have it freeze at the main screen after login The screen would freeze the display would change to a very low resolution I think So I kept restarting it only to repeat Until eventually once past the windows logo the screen would turn black and blank Sometimes the Computer startup black and blank screen display would turn on black and Computer startup black and blank screen blank and other times it would do that after the logo A few times I managed to get it to go into safe mode and I restored to a few days ago but it made no difference I also tried many other things like changing some settings but nothing worked So after like or hours I Rolled back and disabled nvidia quadro nvs m since I read it might be causing the issue and I should uninstall it which I couldn't once I disabled it I restarted the computer and made it to the main screen without issues and I could even load my game I enabled it again And restarted the computer only to have the same issues so I disabled it again after finally getting into safe mode I don't know if it works fine now I left it on at most for - minutes without any issues and I never actually logged into the game to see if it works Like I said I tried restoring to an earlier time but I think the issue is with that particular driver but I have no idea how to fix it

A:Computer startup black and blank screen

I figured out that in my display settings instead of showing my main monitor it only shows "mobile pc display". I know that means from a mobile device but I don't see the option to change back to the main screen. By using the previously mentioned app it changed my settings and so now I don't know how to get the main display screen.
I tried restoring to a previous version before but that didn't do anything, so I'm guessing it didn't fix the display issue. I also tried reinstalling the driver at least twice and nothing.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/561595/computer-startup-black-and-blank-screen/
Relevancy 102.34%

My computer hanged up, I ran safe mode and found out it froze at agp440.sys. I used the recovery console to disable that, but now it hangs at Mup.sys.

I tried doing a chkdisk, but I am confused as what exactly to type?

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/.../proddocs/en-us/bootcons_chkdsk.mspx?mfr=true

So what I type in recovery console is exactly:

chkdsk[C:][/p][/r]

But it says the command is not recognized? Can somebody please tell me how to fix what I wrote? When I type chkdsk it just tells me the status but I need it to run the chkdsk and recover errors. Thank you so much in advance!!!!

A:Computer Screen Black/Blank - Hang Up at Mup.sys

Hi!

To run Checkdisk, use the following command:
chkdsk /rClick to expand...

*there is only on space, it's between "chkdsk" and "/r"

To run it on a specific drive (in this example,drive c):
chkdsk c: /rClick to expand...

BTW, sometimes safe mode can take a very long time to load (up to 10 minutes) and only seems to hang at a certain point.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-screen-black-blank-hang-up-at-mup-sys.843294/
Relevancy 102.34%

Hello.

My computer frequently crashes to a blank (black) screen when I play games like TES V or Fable III, and leaves me no alternative but to do a hard reset with the power button. I've cleaned out the air vents several times to no avail, and I'm pretty sure my video drivers are up to date. As far as I can tell the CPU isn't being overused either.

I think the problem may be overheating but I don't know for sure. It doesn't seem to get that hot.

I've had a very similar problem before, and last time cleaning the vents out with a compressed air can did the trick. The only difference last time is that it wasn't always a blank screen, sometimes it hard weird vertical lines all over it.

I don't know what to do

A:Crashes to blank (black) screen while gaming

Hello Koshka,

See if these links can provide you with the information you seek.

Why is my screen black when I start Windows 7?

Windows 7 Black Screens of Death for Some AMD/ATI GPUs - Softpedia

windows 7 black screen after login, no desktop show up

[SOLVED] Windows 7 Loads to a black screen. Whats the - Microsoft Answers

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/204143-crashes-blank-black-screen-while-gaming.html
Relevancy 102.34%

I am trying to install a fresh copy of windows xp on compaq presario v The first screen of formatted the hard drive and setting up partitions work Then it transfers the files just fine Then it goes into the windows installation set up screens and goes blank I see it saying setup is starting and then before the setup for installation screens come on the screen goes black I went as far as installing ubuntu and it worked just fine When ubuntu came up it said it had to go into low resolution but once I hit okay everything worked fine This suring installation Blank/Black OS screen makes me beleive the windows xp install is not using the right video drivers Am I on the right track If so Blank/Black screen suring OS installation how do I get the xp installation to use the right drivers Other things that I have done and not fix my issue are set bios to default tried to boot into safe mode I Blank/Black screen suring OS installation get all the lines of safe mode starting but when windows goes to open my screen goes black replaced the hard drive Format and install xp on new hard drive Even found a copy of vista that came with the pc and it did not work Help

A:Blank/Black screen suring OS installation

Hello, Have a look here: HP Notebook PCs - Troubleshooting Black Screen Displays with No Error Messages During Startup or Boot.It might be worth testing the memory.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/468563/blankblack-screen-suring-os-installation/
Relevancy 102.34%

Vista boots to a blank black screen but the screen saver is visible when it kicks in.

This is a friends PC so don't have any other details. It appears as if Vista boots OK and that his screen saver is set to about ten minutes. The fact the bios boot checks and screen saver are visible rules out a monitor or graphics card problem I'd have thought.

Relevancy 102.34%

So in my previous post I had issues with the video card overheating I think It wasn't corrupt drivers because I managed to uninstall the drivers and [SOLVED] screen turn-on Black/Blank on install the latest drivers for my video card which took me about hours to accomplish due to the pixelated screen of death Anyways I cooled off the room and put a big fan on the side of my case and everything [SOLVED] Black/Blank screen on turn-on seemed to work just fine until I started getting blue screens quite frequently like every hour or so One of them listed as if I recall IRQ LESS THAN something something I think Others had something to do with win k sys and some other file was on another blue screen So I system restored back to where it was working without blue screens I eventually got the pixelated screen of death again and I know for a fact my video card wasn't overheating at that point I least maybe I don't think it was So I restarted it like normal and it showed my MoBo's logo screen and after that it went black blank I restarted more times for the next mins and now it just shows a black blank screen as soon as I turn the computer on No MoBo beep no keyboard LED's light up nothing Everything else still works like the fans the CD-ROM lights up ejects the MoBo light is on etc It just doesn't do anything passed that point So I took out the battery to refresh my CMOS and left it out for mins or so put it back in nothing Any ideas on what is going on

A:[SOLVED] Black/Blank screen on turn-on

Welcome back to TSF, sorry to hear about your issues

What we need is the exact and complete BSOD Stop error. If you could please jot that down and reply back with that info we may get a better idea what is causing your BSOD.

Also, have you reseated the video card? Remove from the slot and reseat.

Quote:

So in my previous post I had issues with the video card overheating (I think)

Was the card overheating or not?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-black-blank-screen-on-turn-on-333664.html
Relevancy 102.34%

As of yesterday - - - my youtube was working one minute the next it is only showing blank black screen I got on remote Screen Black, Blank - YouTube Solved: with my tech in London HOURS and HOURS later still no joy or fix He removed malware un-installed and re-installed latest Adobe everything un-installed and re-installed Google Chrome my browser cleaned histories cache Solved: YouTube - Black, Blank Screen cookies etc tried a system restore windows update rootkey scan boot scan hours later - results the same Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Home Premium Service Pack bit Processor Genuine Intel R CPU U GHz Intel Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card LogMeIn Mirror Driver Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB D Total Solved: YouTube - Black, Blank Screen - MB Free - MB Motherboard ASUSTeK Computer Inc UL VT Antivirus avast Antivirus Updated and Enabled Can you help Thanking you HiTechGrandma not feeling so hi-tech right now HiTech to me is when my computer is running smoothly nbsp

Relevancy 102.34%

Hi. I was infected with Antivirus 2009 or something similar about a week ago. Ran malwarebytes (I think that's the correct name) and have had no problems since. I was scanning some photos when the program shut down and went to blue screen with message that windows had encountered a problem and shut down. I turned off my laptop and tried to reboot but have gotten nothing but a blank, black screen. No cursor, no login info, no options. Have tried F8. Have removed and reinserted RAM. Tried starting up with and without battery. Tried connecting to external monitor.

My laptop is an HP dv1660se running Windows with SP3.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Additional info: My antivirus software is eset NOD 32.

Is this likely to be an infection, or should I post this problem under hardware/video forum?

A:Blank, black screen. Antivirus 2009?

I would try the Vista or XP forum, whichever applies, first

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/201663/blank-black-screen-antivirus-2009/