Windows Support Forum

I hear windows startup but after that nothing, headphones work though

Q: I hear windows startup but after that nothing, headphones work though

I have done everything I can think of. I have windows 7 64 bit. I have disabled/re-enabled sound cards, uninstalled/reinstalled drivers. I have checked all settings I possibly can think of. My head phones work GREAT and on startup I can hear the sound, but once in windows, no sounds through my speakers.

Any suggestions?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-hear-windows-startup-but-after-that-nothing-headphones-work-though.207890/
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: I hear windows startup but after that nothing, headphones work though

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 73.96%

I've just installed Windows 7, but cannot hear anything from my earphones. They are connected to a subwoofer which is connected to the computer. Right now I cannot hear anything - not music, not movies, not sounds or videos on the web, nothing. Maybe it's something with the on-board sound card mixer...

How can I fix this?

TIA

A:Can't hear anything from my headphones after installing Windows 7

Have you install the drivers for the Sound card?

http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/97250-cant-hear-anything-my-headphones-after-installing-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 65.79%

Ok... this morning I was using my PC, listening to music through my headphones. I went to get ready for work, when I came back there was an error on my PC. I didnt read it, I just clicked the "dont send" message and logged off.
When I came home, start up my PC, now I cant hear anything through my headphones. I tried plugging them into a different USB port, didnt work. I can unplug the headphones, turn on my speakers and I hear just fine through them... so there is sound. I plugged my headphones into my laptop and my husbdands PC and they work fine. So its not them either.

Why all of a sudden wont my headphones work with my PC? Its like they dont recognize them.

What can I check to fix this? Help please.

MY soundcard is the Audigy 4 & my headphones are Logitech USB

Thanks

A:Cant hear through headphones

Fabienne said:

Its like they dont recognize them.

That's just my question. Does your computer recognize the headphones, or does it not show that they're connected?
Forgive me for such a vague question on my behalf; I don't use "good" audio equipment. I've got no real need for it... anyway... if you can answer that, it'll at least help us determine what sort of problem it is. Thanks.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-hear-through-headphones.535545/
Relevancy 65.79%

Hello, as the tittle says for some reason everytime i plug in my headphones to my laptop the sound still plays like in the speakers instead of my headphones. i dont think theres something wrong with the headphone plug cause the laptop is only 3 months old.... i have a HP dm4-2050us..... please help its really annoying not being able to use my earphones.

A:cant hear anything through the headphones

I have voip sip softphone installed in my windows 7, sound are ok, when i tried to call or when somebody called me i can clearly hear it's ringing, but voice is not working, i mean, both sides can't hear anything. Is there something missing? please help. thanks!

http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/201295-cant-hear-anything-through-headphones.html
Relevancy 65.79%

I recently downloaded Skype and bought a Logitech headset-microphone. It worked fine. Today, I plugged the USB into a different port and noticed that I could not hear through the headphones, only through the (lousy) built in computer speaker. Sound did not come through the headphones even when I clicked on the mute button.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can fix this?

Thank you.

A:Cannot hear through headphones

so you plunged them into a different port?

why not just put it back in the other one?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cannot-hear-through-headphones.107383/
Relevancy 64.93%

So, I have been encountering an issue since I purchased this computer years ago. I have speakers and headphones, but when I am skyping, only the audio of skype comes from my headphones everything else transfers to the speakers and I have absolutely no idea what to do. Help would be very much appreciated, thanks.

A:I can only hear skype through my headphones!

ExocticSimmer, welcome to the forum. You should open Skype.  Go to "Tools" / Optitions / Audio settings / Speakers and assure that your speaker showing as default.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Audio/I-can-only-hear-skype-through-my-headphones/td-p/5501127
Relevancy 64.93%

Have a new (purchased 2 weeks ago) HP Notebook 15af123cl, Windows 10 64-bit.  Have tried 3 different sets of headphones, and can't get sound from either set.  Sound is fine coming through the speakers.  Headphones are not even recognized on the system.  Tried to do a system restore, twice, with no success.

A:Can't hear sound through headphones

Hello @Babygal50, Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! The Forums are a great place where you can find solutions for your issues, with help from the community! I came across your post about the issue with the headphones, and wanted to help! Have you tried updating the Audio Drivers for the notebook?  Try reviewing the following documents, and let me know how it goes:HP Notebook PCs - No Sound or Distorted Sound from Speakers (Windows 10)HP PCs - Resolving Headphones and Headset Problems (Windows 8) Please let me know if this information helps you resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution", this will help others easily find the information they may be looking for.  Also, clicking the Thumbs up below is a great way to say thanks! Have a great weekend!

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Audio/Can-t-hear-sound-through-headphones/td-p/5575579
Relevancy 64.93%

Vista SP Bit Need a little help please I want to hear my voice thru my headphones They re headphones with a boom - separate mic and headphone input jacks A Be Can't (But To Voice Thru My Able Hear To) Used Headphones? few days ago I could hear my voice just fine Now it s not working I m able to record my voice fine Also able to hear audio fine But I need to hear my voice because sometimes I m in a loud environment and it helps to hear what I m saying to who I m communicating with There haven t been any Windows Updates - No Driver Updates Right now under Control Panel gt Sounds Playback IDT High Definition Recording Microphone Line In IDT High Definition No Hidden Devices Things I ve tried Rolled back a system restore - didn t work Right-clicked on taskbar speaker - made sure all devices were not muted - didn t work Switched to another headphone boom - didn t work Any help on this Thanks nbsp

A:Can't Hear My Voice Thru Headphones? (But Used To Be Able To)

On the recording tab,select the microphone you are using and click properties.
There should be a listen tab,click it.
Check the box listen to this device and select you headphones in
the drop down menu as the output device.
Click apply/ok.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-hear-my-voice-thru-headphones-but-used-to-be-able-to.934867/
Relevancy 64.93%

I have a Laptop Acer Aspire 3690
I could hear the sound from the built in speakers fine until one time I was using the headphones, and I took off the headphones to hear it from the speakers and I could not. So Now I can only hear sound when I plug the headphones. I have checked and it says the drivers are up to date and no problem is showing up.

A:Can Only Hear Sound With Headphones

There's a spring-clip/contact inside the headphone jack which directs the audio signal to either the speakers or the headphones when a 3.5mm jack plug is inserted and removed.

This spring-clip may not have returned to it's normal place (speaker mode) when the headphones were unplugged.
Plugging-in & unplugging the headphones several times in succession may cause the spring-clip contact to right itself, otherwise have a knowledgeable person open up the laptop to adjust the spring-clip manually.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can-only-hear-sound-with-headphones.1068217/
Relevancy 64.07%

I am running the 32-bit version of Windows Vista Enterprise on a Hewlett Packard workstation xw 8000.

I installed a SoundBlaster Audigy audio card in the system.

The system indicates the sofware driver is install an functioning properly.

From the Control Panel I can go to Hardware and Sound, click on Sound, select Speakers, select Configure, and then click on the Test button that appears in the Speaker Setup dialog. I will heard sound through the headphones connect to the sound card.

However, when I try to play any sound on the system, like clicking on the slider for the volume control in the Task Bar, I do not hear any audio through the headphones.

What can I try that will allow me to hear sounds through the headphones attached to the system?

http://www.vistax64.com/sound-audio/185956-cant-hear-audio-through-attached-headphones.html
Relevancy 64.07%

Can anyone tell me how to here music through the CD-Roms headphone jack?
Thanks

Relevancy 64.07%

Im freaking out I just got a new Inspiron Gaming Model 7559 please help every time I plug in any audio device it plays sounds twice I cant send it back in because I need it for an event this saturday. Ive updated all drivers, checked play back devices and ect. I feel like I have tried everything please prove me wrong and make my day this is so extremely urgent I will be refreshing this page like every 5 minutes. Thank you for your time I hope you can help me!

A:When headphones are plugged in I hear sounds twice, please help me.

IWantToCryevery time I plug in any audio device
Hello. What kind of audio devices. Like analog headphones plugged into the headphone port, or like a usb sound card plugged into a usb port, or something else?
IWantToCryIve updated all drivers
Have you reinstalled the audio driver?
1. Open the Device Manager2. Expand the Sound, Video & Game Controllers section.3. Right click on the Realtek and select to uninstall.4. Put a check mark in the option to delete the driver software, and then ok.5. Restart the laptop and go back to the Device Manager and check again for a Realtek driver. Keep uninstalling & restarting until Realtek no longer appears under Sound...Controllers and "High Definition Audio Device" appears in its place. "High Definition Audio Device" is the name of the native driver.
[The reason you might have to go through the process more than once is because the driver files for more than one Realtek driver could be on the hard drive. When a Realtek driver is removed, the next one gets installed if Windows can locate the files. Windows installs its generic driver only after all Realtek files have been removed.]
6. At this point, test the audio while the native driver is installed and see if the same problem occurs.
7. When finished testing, download and install a fresh copy of the Realtek driver for your operating system. Get it from your Dell support page. Test the audio again
If the same problem occurs with both the Realtek and the native driver, then probably not a driver issue.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3517/t/19974274
Relevancy 64.07%

I recently purchased Plantronics .Audio 355

I am having an issue with the volume. There's a volume adjuster on my headset, but when I turn it all the way down, I can still hear sound? The only way to completely get rid of the sound is by turning it all the way down in the volume control options. I'm wanting to be able to adjust the volume FULLY with my headset itself. (sync issue? not sure)

I've been searching around the internet but haven't found anything. Hopefully one of you can be some help. Thanks!

A:Headphones volume is turned all the way down, however I can still hear

Does it not have a mute button you could also use?

http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/300017-headphones-volume-turned-all-way-down-however-i-can-still-hear.html
Relevancy 64.07%

I was using windows 7 fine, then I came back home today, booted up and put on my headphones and realized I could hear (and can as I type) my fingers typing and every noise that passes over the mic on my laptop.

I have no idea what has caused this, and I can't seem to get it to go away.

And I just tested it now and the mic is also playing through my speakers.

A:Can hear internal mic through my headphones and spea...

Mute the mic?

http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/22979-can-hear-internal-mic-through-my-headphones-spea.html
Relevancy 64.07%

I have a year old macbook pro and i have bootcamp running win bit Only just recently i have found i cant hear any audio through my headphones but i can hear audio through my computers speakers My headphones work fine on other devices - just not on my computer for some reason - I restarted windows Cant headphones - just hear through started audio and that didnt help so i tried to see what happened on my mac partition and the headphones work fine and everything works as normal when im on mac Just for some odd reason i cant listen to anything on windows through headphones which is a problem for video games and school etc Any idea what to do When i plug in my headphones and go into my playback devices in sound options it recognises the headphones are plugged in and it all looks quot normal quot its just nothing is coming out - It even Cant hear audio through headphones - just started thinks sound is coming out as the volume bar thing is moving up and down

A:Cant hear audio through headphones - just started

I'm not familiar with the bootcamp, but if there is a corruption between Windows and the sound card many different things can develop. In a Windows PC and I assume with your installation, go to the Windows Device Manager, RIGHT click on the entry for the sound device and then LEFT click "Uninstall" DO NOT uninstall the drivers. Restart the PC and when Windows starts it will detect and reinstall the sound. This fixes a lot of flakey problems and may take care of yours.

http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/281834-cant-hear-audio-through-headphones-just-started.html
Relevancy 64.07%

Logitech Premium USB Headset 300

I recently today stopped hearing sound coming out of the headphones and I looked under sound and audio devices and nothing is muted. I set in Teamspeak to have the sound come of out the headset. I think the volume is up high enough.

A:Can't hear sound out of Headphones on Headset

Personally you could trouble shoot this issue, but sound problems seem to take forever.
Personally I would save myself that pain and just un-install the drivers and software for the headset shut down reboot and then install it from scratch again. Should take all of 5 to 10 min and then if it still does not work, at least you know you are in for a ride trying to find out what is messed up, weather it be physical or software.
Good luck!! :grinthumb

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-hear-sound-out-of-headphones-on-headset.25223/
Relevancy 64.07%

Hello I got my HPg - wm laptop back from the computer shop I had a problem with my fan Before that my headphones worked like normal so I don t know if taking the computer apart to replace the fan might have messed with the headphone jack somehow on headphones in hear sound laptop Can't or what My headphones worked for my mp player so I know it s not them When I plug my headphones in the sound plays from the speakers instead I ve tried going to sound in control panel - gt sound setting independent headphones as default with the green circle by it nothing happened yet this seems to solve most other people s problems I tried using Everest and under PCI PnP no idea Can't hear sound in headphones on laptop what this is I have two quot High Definition Audio Controller NoDB quot listings I google that and someone mentions to download Realtek AC so I do that install - nothing I tried uninstalling the sound drivers from device manager The ones I have are ATI High Definition Audio Device and IDT High Definition Audio Codec I tried right click - gt update going to HP s audio drivers and installing them I went to IDT s page and they just redirect you to the computer brand manufacturer for audio drivers I have no idea where to find audio drivers from ATI I used dxdiag and this is what the sound tab says Name Speakers and Headphones IDT High Definition Hardware ID HDAUDIO FUNC amp VEN D amp DEV amp SUBS Don t know if the name is supposed to be that or not sadly I Can't hear sound in headphones on laptop never paid attention to the sound tab before so I couldn t tell the difference Someone please help With all I ve done maybe the headphones jack is broken Two of the USB jacks were already broken early last year or earlier and I ve only had the laptop for year and a few months so maybe the laptop is just a piece of crap Though I heard it s easy to break USB jacks on a laptop maybe I just have the wrong brand nbsp

A:Can't hear sound in headphones on laptop

Or it could be laptops in general lol.

Why don't you call the store and say your headphone jack stopped working after replacing the fan? It's possible they might fix the jack for free.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-hear-sound-in-headphones-on-laptop.1004904/
Relevancy 63.64%

Hey everyone I have windows -bit and am on an Inspiron MT I m trying to figure out how to use my headphones as a default communication device and my speakers my Skype music and my with speakers, headphones? I do from How hear for everything else Headphones Plantronics Gamercom Speakers Logitech VIA High Def Audio that s what it says on the sound thing in my control panel I already have two audio outputs and both of my devices are plugged in The problem is I can t hear them at the same time When I go to quot manage audio How do I hear music from my speakers, and Skype with my headphones? devices quot in Control Panel it just shows my headphone options When I unplug my headphones it shows the speaker options I can t seem to find a way to split the sound apart or How do I hear music from my speakers, and Skype with my headphones? make one a default communication device doesn t How do I hear music from my speakers, and Skype with my headphones? show both at the same time Is there rd party software I should download Any advice is greatly appreciated I will frequent this site BTW - not just signing up for one question nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-do-i-hear-music-from-my-speakers-and-skype-with-my-headphones.972113/
Relevancy 62.78%

I just bought a pc, windows 7 32bit. I tried to use my headphones but couldnt hear any sound, also tried speakers still no sounds. The green bar goes up on the volume control tho.

I have tried downloading some drivers, but they didnt work.
Im a novice when it comes to things like this, can anyone help?

if you need any information about my pc let me know.

theres some audio ports at the back of the pc and at the front. both dont work.

Thanks if anyone can help, i really dont know what to do

A:Realtek AC'97 Audio - Cant hear any sound from headphones or speakers.

Anyone?

http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/249613-realtek-ac97-audio-cant-hear-any-sound-headphones-speakers.html
Relevancy 62.78%

well that about it for example im with my headphones , so obviously the music i play on winamp should only be heard by me
but my friend that im speaking to through my micraphone can hear the music wery clear and he hardly hears me speaking

A:people can hear my headphones or speakers very clear, while my micraphone is far away

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/people-can-hear-my-headphones-or-speakers-very-clear-while-my-micraphone-is-far-away.747744/
Relevancy 62.78%

well that about it for example im with my headphones , so obviously the music i play on winamp should only be heard by me
but my friend that im speaking to through my micraphone can hear the music wery clear and he hardly hears me speaking

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/people-can-hear-my-headphones-or-speakers-very-clear-while-my-micraphone-is-far-away.747722/
Relevancy 59.34%

After Windows installed the Anniversary Update my headphone & mic wont work. New headphones w/USB port..worked just fine b4 update. Any idea how to fix this?

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/439756-my-headphones-mic-will-not-work-after-windows-update.html
Relevancy 58.91%

i have install windows 10 but now my headfone is not working....i try to solve it whit the lenovo solutions centre but that dosn't work.....what to do now?
René

Mod's Edit: Additional information added to Subject line for clarity of issue.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-B-and-G-Series-Notebooks/Headphones-no-longer-work-after-Windows-10-upgrade/td-p/3360299
Relevancy 58.05%

Updated computer last night before going to sleep and now my headphones no longer work with the odd exception of Skype. I have tested in internet explorer and chrome as well as multiple gaming platforms for PC (Steam and Blizzard). The update I was notified of having gotten upon startup is 1607. All of my audio drivers are reading as up to date and the only thing that has changed since last night is this update.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/440340-why-do-my-headphones-no-longer-work-after-windows-10-update-1607-a.html
Relevancy 55.9%

I have an issue can't hear sound out of speakers, yet can out my headphones, everything is up to date. What could cause the sound to go from the speakers and no it is not muted.

When I pull out my headphones I can't hear no sound yet when I am using my headphones I can hear sound.
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.73GHz, x86 Family 6 Model 13 Stepping 8
Processor Count: 1
RAM: 2039 Mb
Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family, 128 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 305234 MB, Free - 273953 MB;
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0GD366
Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

A:No sound from Laptop speakers, but can hear sound out headphones

The following may work but it applies to Windows Vista (I don't have XP any more), so it may be a little different for yours:

Control Panel > Sound > Speakers > Properties > Advanced > Restore Defaults

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/no-sound-from-laptop-speakers-but-can-hear-sound-out-headphones.1026860/
Relevancy 55.04%

Today my laptop was working fine but then I shut it down and turned it on again, when I turned it back on, after the Starting Windows and windows logo disappear I get a blue screen for half a second then my computer try's to reboot, I've tried to use startup reapir but u just have a crusor with a background, safe mode also crashes, and when Im trying to boot up from my windows 7 USB, it is just stuck on setting up the installtion, please help, if this is a hardware problem im really gonna be Sad, if there is a way to wipe my hard drive please let me know, thanks

A:Windows won't boot, startup won't work, safe mode dosent work

Have you tried a new AC adaptor?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/348646-windows-wont-boot-startup-wont-work-safe-mode-dosent-work.html
Relevancy 55.04%

Until recently I was able to unplug my headphones from the front input and my USB speakers would activate. So whenever I wanted to hear my USB satellite speakers that are plugged into a USB port on the back of my HP desktop, I would simply unplug my headphones.

Now, I have to manually go into the speaker panel and select whichever one I want in order for sound to be heard.

If sound is playing through the USB speakers and I set the headphone to default, if I close my Firefox browser and then re-open it, sound will be playing through the headset. Likewise the same in reverse.

I don't know what happened to force me to use the speaker panel to change which one I wanted. Before plugging in the headphones would just override the USB speakers and cancel them.

Any ideas what I may have done?

A:Headphones work or USB speakers work but only if I change to default

How does the sound work, if you do not use Firefox. Boot the PC but do not open Firefox. What device is set as default? (should be the USB device). Play a sound file on the PC with a media player (e.g. Windows Media Player) and confirm you are getting sound through the USB device. Then plug in the headphones and see if it automatically switches.

If it isn't working properly, without Firefox, then uninstall/reinstall the sound devices starting with the USB device (Uninstall in the Device Manager, but DO NOT uninstall any drivers, then restart the PC and let Windows reinstall the device).

If it works OK, without Firefox but still does not work correctly with Firefox that makes Firefox or whatever sound add on is being used in Firefox the suspect.

http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/364208-headphones-work-usb-speakers-work-but-only-if-i-change-default.html
Relevancy 54.61%

It was working and then I hit something in the realtek HD audio manager by accident and it stopped working, I can't figure out how to fix it.

A:Can't hear sound through headphones, but it says sound is playing?

Not knowing what you did, all we can do is guess and try to help you.

Not sure if System Restore (back to an available restore date that is before whatever you did) will help or not, but one option to try.

Uninstalling/reinstalling the RealTek will probably do it. Actually just installing the latest RealTek will first uninstall the existing, have you restart the PC (Important step do not bypass this) and then will do a new install.

Download the latest High Defintion Codec from RealTek. Realtek

http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/362701-cant-hear-sound-through-headphones-but-says-sound-playing.html
Relevancy 52.03%

I decided to update my audio drive so i went to the Lenovo website and installed the windows 10 (64 bit) driver, after restarting I noticed that there was no volume at all, i tried the Windows 8.1 driver and now only my headphones work. I also noticed in playback devices only the speakers are listed even when headphone are plugged in.

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/48853-speakers-dont-work-but-headphones-work.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Hello After over one year of using a Albatron px pev mainboard it just quit working The screen saver was locked up so I rebooted On reboot the keyboard lights would not come on or will the intial black screen come on the on that checks the ide drives and displays the system info Normally after I turn computer on I hear a little BEEP I do not hear this any more The first thing I did was clean cpu HS Fan and and 1 old at MOBO now Do wont hear not Locked BEEP startup. boot. the computer yr up reapply a thin coat of heat paste After this computer booted and 1 yr old computer Locked up and now wont boot. Do not hear the MOBO BEEP at startup. I heard the little BEEP black screen comes up but still no keyboard use Reboot the system and I now cannot get the little BEEP from the mainboard or the initial black startup screen I have cleaned the system of all dust and reset the CMOS Have cleaned the Video card fan hs I have checked all connections and they are secure I have removed the BATT and unplugged the power supply for over an hour I tried to test the power supply voltages but I get no readings the PS fan does not run when unplugged from everything maybe zero output is normal Yes the PS is plugged into the wall just not the MOBO drives vidcard etc How exactly do I check my power supply About week ago I installed more m pc ram But had no problems If you have ANY ideas please please post them here If you have a series of possible fixes PLEASE post them all I am getting very desperate Currently running Windows XP g pc Pentium mhz gb Western Digital Hard Drive ATI Saphire NP m nbsp

A:1 yr old computer Locked up and now wont boot. Do not hear the MOBO BEEP at startup.

Sounds like a bad power supply.
If the ATX is not plugged into your motherboard, or an ATX test, it will not boot up.
Nothing will work.
It will react just the same as if your motherboard was grounded to your case.

Bad power supply or you do not have enough voltage to power your components.
Try unpluging a CD ROM or a few fans to check to see if you need to upgrade to a higher wattage.

A power supply tester (that works) costs about $20 at www.newegg.com

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/1-yr-old-computer-locked-up-and-now-wont-boot-do-not-hear-the-mobo-beep-at-startup.228731/
Relevancy 50.74%

Hey Guys,
I cannot seem to make my headphones work with is laptop, It's a Dell Inspiron, i5 Windows 7, OS. Short of disabling everything I cannot get them to work with this system.
I know they work, I tested them on a Vista machine w/o any problems. But on my laptop they won't work at all.
I am not that familiar with the IDT audio control which I believe has some issues with changing it.
I'll take any offered solutions here, how about a little help here?? Thanks, in advance,
roc

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-headphones-dont-work.1029157/
Relevancy 50.74%

Headphones don't work for me for some reason. I have an HP laptop, and it has two headphone jacks, but if I connect to one of them, the sound still comes out of the speakers...

Anyone else have a similar problem, or is it just me?

A:Headphones don't work

Anyone? I still need help...

http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/2324-headphones-dont-work.html
Relevancy 50.74%

It is plugged into the right socket at the back of the sound card and it doesn't work. My desktop speakers work though, howcome my headphones don't work??

A:My headphones won't work!

Minime88 said:

It is plugged into the right socket at the back of the sound card and it doesn't work. My desktop speakers work though, howcome my headphones don't work??Click to expand...

Ha ha... Did you know that you are giving even less information than what you had in your first try?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-headphones-wont-work.32300/
Relevancy 50.74%

Hello,
I have recently purchased some new headphones and as I listen to quite alot of music on the PC I would like to use them on there.

However the back my PC tower is hard to get to and I don't want to be crawling underneath everytime I want to switch between PC speakers and headphones.

I do have a headphone hole on the front of my PC, near the CD tray, but when I plug it in there it makes no sound.

Could anyone help me work out how to get my music playing through my headphones through this hole at the front?

Joe

Relevancy 50.74%

win xp was pre-installed on my pc. but last month i got a cd of win 7 from my friend and i installed win 7 on my pc. after installing everything is working fine i got no problem. speakers audio video devices are all working good. but headphones are not working i didnt know the solution. someone help me plz

A:headphones does not work

Please fill in the "My System Specs" all we can do is guess without that information.

http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/248636-headphones-does-not-work.html
Relevancy 50.74%

So last time I Disabled the head phones in the Sound>Playback device list and after that I couldn't see them on this list anymore (Even when checking Show Disabled Devices) I already tried Updating the Driver in Device Manager>Sound,Video and Game controllers>(HeadPhones)>Properties>Driver and it still didn't work , I also tried Re-Installing them from computer and Restarting the Computer and nothing helped. I don't have any panel jack Disable front detection option in Realtek HD Audio Manager

I'm on Toshiba Laptop, Windows 10 and using Logitech G930 HeadSet.
No hedphones nor microphone are enabled , and i can not change it.

A:HeadPhones don't work

I Have a Toshiba Laptop and also Logitech USB Headphones H340
They give good reproduction and Mike works ok
All I did was plug it into a USB Port and the Speaker symbol when you click or hover over it shows working 100%
They show up in Device Manager
Sound Video and Games Controller
Microsoft
Driver Version 10.010586.0
Driver is showing up as working ok

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/42625-headphones-dont-work.html
Relevancy 50.74%

Since i didn't get too much help in this thread i decided to make a new one. I hope you won't consider it as spamming, because it isn't my intention.
Back to topic, this is the Device manager window:
it says it's working correctly but i don't get any sound from headphones (speakers built in the monitor are OK)

in the image there's also "Kontroler zgodny ze standardem High Definition Audio" in System devices which means something like: "Controller compatible woth the High Def Audio Standard"

A:Headphones still don't work

Where are you plugging in your headphones at? Is that a live jack?

http://www.vistax64.com/sound-audio/165462-headphones-still-dont-work.html
Relevancy 50.74%

I have a Toshiba with Vista laptop about - years old and just bought a pair of headphones Dynex USB headphones with mic for about at Best Buy but when I plug them in the sound continues to come out of the laptop speakers RealTek I believe but will not come out of the headphones nor does the microphone work I am trying to start a new job and need Skype to do so I have tried - Won't Work Headphones Going through Control Panel gt Sound gt Device Manager - Using the tips and tools on Skype - Double triple ok checking times that it s plugged in to a working USB port and that the mute is not turned on - Using the sound level screen What I am seeing now in my toolbar is a speaker icon with a red and white X beside it When I hover there it tells me the volume level and quot Speakers -USB PnP Sound Device quot I really really want this job but it is not going to happen if I can t get this sorted out

A:Headphones Won't Work

I don't know anything about it but I found this:

http://tiredblogger.wordpress.com/2008/01/18/usb-headsets-and-vista-sp1-setting-the-default-sound-device/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/434624/headphones-wont-work/
Relevancy 50.74%

Hi

I bought Rosetta Stone language software to learn Portuguese. With the software was a USB headphone/mic combination.

After I installed the driver to use those headphones, the headphone jack on the front of my computer for regular ipod headphones stopped working.

I tried to remove the driver for the USB headphones/mic but that also uninstalled the driver for my speakers
Does anyone know how I can get the front jack of my computer to work with my headphones? I don't need the USB headphones now.
Thank you!

A:The headphones I want to work don't

Go to you Device manager and expand all of the +'s and look for yellow exclamation points and let us know what device they are by

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/228295/the-headphones-i-want-to-work-dont/
Relevancy 50.74%

No headphones! It's as if my laptop doesnt even have a headphone jack! Headphones dont show up as an option on the sound mixer, or on the audio devices. Only speakers and microphone.I have tried:1. system updates2. audio updates3. different headphones4. disable/enable device (audio)5. re-install audio system still NO headphones..

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Audio/Headphones-do-not-work-AT-ALL/td-p/5830449
Relevancy 50.74%

Exactly. Because when I plug them in, it's like I never did at all, because I still hear it perfectly fine through the actual speakers. Nor does anything else show up in the playback devices when I look at the sound stuff, it's just the speakers. If I plug the headphones into the microphone spot, it at least makes "stereo array" or something show up, but obviously still has no effect.

I have an Acer Aspire 5750, and it runs Windows 7. I don't know if it's some kind of weird drivers issue or what, because everything I've searched and read about, the headphones volume etc. would at least show up, even if only by show disabled devices or something. This doesn't even show up. And I don't want to just mess around with the drivers willy-nilly, since I have no idea what I'm doing.

A:Headphones don't work

Hi  Lillielle

When you speak of speakers, are these the internal laptop speakers? Look for the headphone icon on the side/front ports of your laptop as this is for both the external speakers and headphone usage. Make sure to insert it properly or wiggle it just slightly and check the sound output from your headphones. If your not using the external speakers and have one available, try checking the audio output from there to check on the difference.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/494175/headphones-dont-work/
Relevancy 50.31%

Hi guys,

Last 2 days i have been trying to this. Bought a new microphone thought the old one that i havent used for couple of years was broken. But my new one is not working either.
I can hear people but they cannot hear me, it is not mute either. But sound recorder not working either, can anyone help please? Many Thanks

A:Microphone is not working, not mute, can hear people but they cannot hear me any idea

Hello have you tried the microphone set up testhardwre
control panel sounds and audio voice ???

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/microphone-is-not-working-not-mute-can-hear-people-but-they-cannot-hear-me-any-idea.574551/
Relevancy 50.31%

I know a similar subject has been posted in here like this before but my situation is different When I first bought my computer it came with Vista preloaded I tried using my old headphones that I'd never had a problem with in XP and they didn't work I thought maybe the headphones were bad so I bought another pair And they worked for about two months before crapping out as well Both sets of headphones work fine on my husband's computer running XP so I know it's not the headphones To try and resolve this issue I have already Uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers Tried updating the drivers Vista? with Headphones don't work best match already installed Tried updating the drivers to an alternate one I downloaded off of the internet Enabled and disabled the drivers Enabled and disabled input sound from the microphone Booted the computer with the headphones plugged in And I think that's it Do you think this is a hardware issue or am I missing something PS I should add that the computer DOES recognize Headphones don't work with Vista? that the headphones are plugged in Headphones don't work with Vista? to the jack yet no sound comes out through the phones nor does the mic work ALSO the speakers work fine What is the maaaaaaaatter here

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/headphones-dont-work-with-vista-293982.html
Relevancy 50.31%

My orgainization uses HP almost exclusively and while the Folio 9470's were rockstars the 9480's not so much.  I have had this particluar issue now with 3 different devices.  One of those has already been sent back to HP for "repair".  That "repair" supposedly included "extensive testing" but when I got the device back headphone still wouldn't work.  Not until I updated the bios that is.  So here we are again with this device where if you use the built in speaker the sound works great.  When you plug in a known good working headset you have no sound at all.  Sending the device back to HP support might be the only answer but before I inconvience this executive again with that I wanted to find out if anyone else had found a solution for this.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Audio/Speakers-work-Headphones-won-t/td-p/5720564
Relevancy 50.31%

I have a problem with my computer. I am running xp and my headphones which use a USB work fine, but my speakers that use the onboard jacks do not work. They dont work in either the front or back of the computer. The speakers have power, they work on other computers, they have a usb and a jack that you plug in to make work. I tried other headphones that plug into the jacks and they do not work. can someone please help me?

A:Headphones work but speakers do not

Did they ever work on this system? If so, what is new or different since the last time they worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/375435/headphones-work-but-speakers-do-not/
Relevancy 50.31%

Hi there

I'm new here, and being a girl (J/K), I don't quite get along with my computer

Here's my problem:

My HP Compaq Presario CQ60 - 215EP had the Windows Vista as the operating system: everything was working just fine.

A while ago, I decided do change it to Windows 7 (32 bits) and, all of the sudden, my headphones (earphones also) simply stoped working.

I don't think it's a hardware problem, because everything was fine and dandy before I made that change.

I don't know the name of my of my sound board because that's not specified on the My Computers properties, but I'm currently using the Conexant High Definition SmartAudio 221 and the High Definition Audio Devide drivers (I guess )
(and it sais that they're updated)

Can you give a hand please?
Thanks

A:Headphones/earphones don't work

You got sound on the speakers? If don't,go to Device Manager,right click on the Sound,video,game controlers and select Update Driver Software. Maybe you got wrong drivers.
You can intall Speccy to find your sound card name.

http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/145608-headphones-earphones-dont-work.html
Relevancy 50.31%

so I finally decided to update my computer after several crashes and whatever, and now with new update my headphones magicaly don't work. I went to the sound devices and the headphones weren't there. I tried unplugging and plugging it in a few times and nothing but then I plugged it into the microphone jack and it displayed headphones not plugged in. so basicaly my headphone jack dosen't work and I'm pretty sure it's the updates fault.

P.S. I have a laptop which means no alternate audio jack.

A:after update headphones don't work

What "Update" did you do?

http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/356600-after-update-headphones-dont-work.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Hello all.

Unfortunately I have an issue that has been causing me much frustration over the past few days.

Here's the deal, I have a pair of headphones, with a microphone, and a headset that I use for my PS4, both with 3.5mm jacks, that I want to use as a microphone for my laptop, as opposed to the garbage built in webcam one.

However, having tried both of them in the microphone jack on my laptop, I can't record any sound. Yes I am plugging them into the correct jack, and yes they are recognized by the computer and sound menu of the control panel as microphones.

However, they will not record ANY sound, even with the recording level turned up all the way. I have even acquired a 3.5mm to USB converter, and tried plugging them in, but I get the same results.

Hopefully someone can help me fix this soon..

Thanks

A:Can't get any headset or headphones with mic to work

I have the exact same problem. Literally. Recently bought a microphone for my Playstation 4. It works fine on there and on my other devices, however when I plug it into the microphone jack on my PC (Windows 8.1) and speak into it, nothing happens - it doesn't recognise any audio input. I've attempted countless solutions, clicked on (realistically) hundreds of various links to try and sort this out but I still have the problem. If a solution could be proposed that would be much appreciated.

http://www.eightforums.com/sound-audio/41599-cant-get-any-headset-headphones-mic-work.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Hi,

About 3 days ago my speakers quit working. I have connections for headphones on the front of my computer (XPS-600, Windows XP, SP2) and sound card connections on the back. When I connect headphones to the jacks in the front of the computer I can hear sound, but I can't get anything to come out of the spekers, which are connected to the sound card jacks on the back of the computer. Any ideas on how I can get sound back from my speakers?

Thanks

A:Headphones Work, But Not Speakers

Hello,

Have you tried the speakers on another system? It sounds like the speakers are damaged.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/127834/headphones-work-but-not-speakers/
Relevancy 50.31%

I have had this acer x3910 for 5 years and have never been able to get sound out of the headphones and turn off the external speakers. Its realtek audio and I have tried EVERYTHING

THX

A:headphones dont work

What is the brand and model of the headphones?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/headphones-dont-work.1053874/
Relevancy 50.31%

Hi,
I am having a problem with my computer or headset, not sure which of them.
But my headphones only work in the one side. Sound in the left side, where the wire is coming from.

But really i do not think it is the headphones, cause if i plug it on to a other computer it works fine, both sides.

My headphone is:
Steelseries 5H V2, USB 7.1 stereo
I never had problems before with it till i came home from my school today.
I am using the drivers that came with the headphone.

So any help with this?

Relevancy 50.31%

I am using windows 10 on my dell vostro 2520. I have a problem with my speakers. My laptop speakers don't work while my headphones do work on my laptop. Since somedays the speakers won't work but earlier it was working fine. Need help?

A:Speakers don't work but headphones do

Hello. Download and install a fresh copy of the Cirrus Logic audio driver.
If the speakers still will not work, test the speakers with the audio test in the ePSA or the PSA diagnostic utility. This utility is in the BIOS memory on the motherboard -- you don't have to download or install it.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3517/t/19995013
Relevancy 50.31%

I have an old Dell XPS M200s. I connected a Laptec headset/microphone to the back of the computer, but I can not hear any sounds through the headset (as the regular sounds are still coming out of the speakers).

Are there any settings I need to adjust?Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

A:headphones don't work when plugged-in

did you try plugging them into where the speakers plugged in. If they work there and not in other port then either the output needs to be turned on in the sound card control panel or you only have one output port. Easiest thing to do is go to radio shack and get a y adapter that you plug into the port and then plug both speakers and headphones into.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/headphones-dont-work-when-plugged-in.32650/
Relevancy 50.31%

i had old good headphones they worked in the begging but then i stopped using my computer so then 1 day i reinstalled vista because a virus
now i just bought new ones and still it doesnt pick it up when i go to set up headphones i need help

i will need help
step by step
im really dumb on this
need help people tell me to make sure it not muted in sound settings
help please

http://www.vistax64.com/sound-audio/234915-new-headphones-but-they-dont-work.html
Relevancy 50.31%

I have quite an odd problem which I am stuck with. For some reason my laptop doesn't play any kind of sound out of the laptop speakers but works fine when I use heaphones. I have checked all the speaker settings and I can't figure out how it's happened. If I click on the sound icon whilst playing a song in itunes it shows the audio is being played, it just doesnt play through the speakers.

Any ideas or suggestions would be really helpful because i havent got a clue!

Thanks

A:Headphones work but speakers don't!

Hi Now you try control panel/sound/speakers/properties/advanced/restore defaults

http://www.vistax64.com/vista-perfo...9526-no-sound-laptop-but-headphones-work.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/headphones-work-but-speakers-dont.980212/
Relevancy 50.31%

Hello this morning when i woke up i turned on my computers and realized that my speakers were not working at all I tried but work sound, No headphones to unplug everything and replug it i went to No sound, but headphones work my device manager and couldn't find any yellow exlamation points then I tried plugging headphones into the audio jack in the back of the computer which worked I don't no if the speakers are broken or what The speakers i have are Creative brand all the wires go back to the subwoofer i have a feeling that might be broken but it was working fine yesterday Their is a little remote that is wired to the subwoofer and controls the volume On the remote their is a green light which shows if the power is on and that light is indeed on Their is also a headphone jack on the remote but that doens't work only the headphone jack on the back of the computer I am using Windows XP SP can someone please help Thnx in advance

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/no-sound-but-headphones-work-265770.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Used my headphones for first time on new xps8900 and no sound.  Monitor speaker working.  I then discovered that if I mute the monitor speaker, the headphones will work.  

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3513/t/19996377
Relevancy 50.31%

Hey, around 10 minutes ago I was messing around with my audio settings trying to get the +20DB settings to work on my microphone (failed). I then think that restarting my system will help, so I power down and reboot. However when windows loads again the start-up music will play, then cut out almost instantaneously.

If I was to play a song then it would work through my headphones but not my speakers. All settings seem to be correct in Audio porperties.

Any ideas?

Regards

A:Headphones Work; Speakers Do Not

In most cases, it is a matter of updating your system drivers (found at your Manufacture's support site)

In some cases it is a Virus\Spyware infection that must be removed

Have a look at:

Viruses/Spyware/Malware Preliminary Removal Instructions

For further help:

Please put your System Specs information in your Profile

If you have a brand name computer (like Dell; HP; or other) please place the Computer name & Model number in your Mobo field of your Profile

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/headphones-work-speakers-do-not.114651/
Relevancy 50.31%

I am running Win7 64 bit with an ATI high def audio device and an IDT high def audio CODEC. After plugging my headphones to my USB port and then REMOVING the headphones all my audio players (WMP, WinAmp etc) continue to attempt to use the USB instead of switching back to my external speakers. The USB port appears to be HUNG. What can I do to resolve this?

eatc7402

A:USB headphones work but not speakers

I forgot.. I'm running on an HP Pavilion dv5 laptop. AND my speakers are working all the while the audio is 'hung'
on the USB post.. you can 'click' the audio level adjuster and get the proper 'click' all the while, but the audio
output devices all are 'directed' towards the USB PORTS.

eatc7402

http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/171478-usb-headphones-work-but-not-speakers.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Good morning.

I am running Windows 8.1 with 8gb of ram, Time Warner internet at 50mbps (speed tested before I posted). 2gb video Nvidia card. Using on board sound (no extra sound card)

Last night, I could only get sound on my speakers whenever I plugged in my headphones. Today, none of my videos will play (Netffix, YouTube, MP3's on Windows Media Player).

When I check my sound settings , the headphones and speakers are constantly switching back and forth as the default device, even when the headphones are not plugged in.

I updated Flash Player and ran virus scans from both of my anti virus programs (MalwareBytes and AVG 2015). I updated all of my drivers that I could (none needed updating).

Any idea how I can fix this? I'm out of ideas.

Thanks everyone!

A:My speakers only work when the headphones are plugged in

Have you tried the Troubleshooter in Control Panel?

http://www.eightforums.com/sound-audio/64283-my-speakers-only-work-when-headphones-plugged.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Yea I had to format my PC and re-install windows 7. When I originally had it installed I went to playback devices and picked set as default to get it to work. After the re-install, the headphone device always said headphones not plugged in (though they were.) I since browsed the internet, went to Realtek and installed the drivers. Now, the headphones don't show up at all. How can I fix this?

A:Headphones don't work, they used to until format and re-install

What are your PC's specs? Please fill them in in System Specs under User CP.

Once we know this we can point you to the correct driver from the manufacturer.

Downloading drivers directly from your PC manufacturer's website ensures that the driver's will work and be more tuned to work with your PC than the generic ones you download from Realtek (this is especially true of Realtek).

Oli

http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/131060-headphones-dont-work-they-used-until-format-re-install.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Hello, I've had a set of headphones for a while now, but my front port for the microphone is broken so I tried to use the rear port. This resulted in me not getting any sound, so I can't even tell if my microphone works in the rear port. I tried a recording, and it seemed to register input.
I know it isn't the actual headset as I can use the headphones and the mic in other computers with no problem.
I also spoke with a friend, they suggested that the rear headphone port thinks they are speakers rather than headphones.
Hopefully somebody can help me with this, so thank you in advance,
Lamiroire

A:Headphones plugged into back don't work

Some desktop models have both front and back audio connections. They have distinctive colors/symbol for the speakers and headphones and are normally interchange for audio output.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/486523/headphones-plugged-into-back-dont-work/
Relevancy 49.88%

Hello, My Microphone Micro$oft LifeChat LX-3000 isn't recognized by my computer anywhere.
I have installed this on my computer : Download Webcam & Headset Software

But it still not works, help please

A:My Micro-Headphones doesn't work

AkatsuKiller, welcome to the forums.

Would help to know what sound card you have. Systems specs won't hurt either, go here,

Windows 7 Forums

and fill it out. Also are the drivers for the sound card installed?

http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/103027-my-micro-headphones-doesnt-work.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Windows is telling me my headphones are not plugged in BUT they ARE and I & - Win in not Are they work headphones plugged Linux in - can use them with my wife's Windows or my dual booted Linux Zorin Ubuntu Both headphones and microphone do work in Linux so i know my sound card hardware does work and the headphones and microphone jack do work - just not working in Windows in fact to solve another problem just day before yesterday I reinstalled the sound drivers and it all worked then - dont know what could have happened to cause Win - headphones not plugged in - they Are & work in Linux them to stop I have tried to configure my sound input and output different ways till Sunday I tried a restore point where I knew the headphones and mic used to work I tried reinstalling and updating the drivers for the IDT sound card - everything short of a repair Install from the Windows dvd - That I haven't tried but was hoping to avoid that It shouldn't matter anyway because one of the options I tried above Should have worked but didn't Any ideas Thanks

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/50477-win-headphones-not-plugged-they-work-linux.html
Relevancy 49.88%

I recently installed a SSD and put a clean Windows 7 install. My headphones do not work in the back panel but do work in the front panel. Before I re installed windows 7 my headphones did work in the back panel. I have tried two different headsets and neither of them work now. My sound drivers are up to date and Device manager shows nothing wrong in the audio section. When sound is played the bars indicating "loundness" do show up but no sound is heard from them. I would have no problem using the front panel however my microphone jack on the front panel stopped working months ago. Help?

A:Headphones do not work on back panel.

You don't say if you are using the on-board audio or a separate audio card, but there is nothing in this installation that should have knocked out your sound. Are you getting audio across your speakers ?  If you are, then your audio is working, and the problem is with the headphone socket on the back panel, could be some dirt got into it or a faulty solder connection.

An outside chance, but it has had some mention on BC recently, your drivers could be too new. You could try re-installing the drivers that originally came with your motherboard or sound card.

For a really 'dirty' solution. I think you imply that your mike socket at the rear is working - how about a short extension on the mike connection ? I said a dirty solution - but quick !

Chris Cosgrove

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/503465/headphones-do-not-work-on-back-panel/
Relevancy 49.88%

I'm running Win 7 Pro. After installing the Realtek High Definition Audio update, my speakers work fine, but my headphones don't . Say's headphones are not plugged in. Apparently this was a problem in Vista as well. Anyone know a solution? Thanks.

A:Speakers work fine but Headphones don't

Check the internal cabling between the front panel headphone/mic jacks and the motherboard connection for the HD front panel audio. Reseat the cable(s) (unplug then plug back in) at the motherboard end and at the front panel end.

http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/61758-speakers-work-fine-but-headphones-dont.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Hello,

I have a laptop - Asus GL551JW-DS71.

My speakers work fine but when I plug in my headphones, I can't hear any sound from the headphones. The headphones do work as I use them for my desktop.

I have tried updating the sound drivers from the device manager.
I have tried removing the drivers and redownloading the audio drivers from Acers website.
I have tried 'installing' audio driver with the default windows 10 audio driver instead of the realtek one.
I have tried adjusting the sample rate in the advanced properties tab.

What can I do to get sound working in my headphones again and not just the speakers.

A:No sound from headphones but speakers work.

Originally Posted by Favirs

Hello,

I have a laptop - Asus GL551JW-DS71.

My speakers work fine but when I plug in my headphones, I can't hear any sound from the headphones. The headphones do work as I use them for my desktop.

I have tried updating the sound drivers from the device manager.
I have tried removing the drivers and redownloading the audio drivers from Acers website.
I have tried 'installing' audio driver with the default windows 10 audio driver instead of the realtek one.
I have tried adjusting the sample rate in the advanced properties tab.

What can I do to get sound working in my headphones again and not just the speakers.

Hi, what sort of headphones are they? Plain ordinary analogue.. USB..?
Do they require a driver? If so, is it installed ok?

There are several threads about headphone issues on this forum, so suggest you also try searching the forum for 'headphones'. May give you a clue.

E.g.
Audio Issues - Quiet no detection of headphones - Windows 10 Forums
Solved Cannot connect to bluetooth headphones after upgrade to Win10 - Windows 10 Forums

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/30733-no-sound-headphones-but-speakers-work.html
Relevancy 49.88%

So I had this fresh Windows install Everything was normal I plugged my earbuds into the cable and the cable into the rear green and and since only work Realtek headphones Aud partialy Mic HD pink I Os As always Now I was able to hear everyone and everyone were able to hear me its just that when I listen to Mic and headphones only partialy work since Realtek HD Aud music and talk to friends on Skype or play games while on Skype my friends can hear everything I do and its annoying So I figured I need to Mic and headphones only partialy work since Realtek HD Aud install realtek HD audio drivers Once I did I was able to hear them but they weren't able to hear me My mic stopped working and the weird part is that they were able to hear my Windows sounds All the sound tests I've done they were able to hear it but not my voice I uninstalled the driver and from their it was a total disaster I disabled and enabled drivers updated them through Windows updates and all of the sudden the mic works but I can't hear anything then after another restart and changes I can hear everything but the mic doesn't work I'm completely lost and sick of doing system restarts all the time Currently my mic seems to work but I can't hear anything Why And what should I do EDIT I just uninstalled Nvidia HD Audio drivers and installed only realtek Only mic doesn't work but speakers and headphones do work

A:Mic and headphones only partialy work since Realtek HD Aud

Well, just which sound CODEC chip do you have ?

http://www.eightforums.com/sound-audio/55439-mic-headphones-only-partialy-work-since-realtek-hd-aud.html
Relevancy 49.88%

I need help, I'm running Windows Vista and my problem is I bought a USB sound card for my computer to run my police scanner. I tried plugging my headphones into the headphone jack but go no sound. I tried the back of my PC tower and got the same problem. It will only work when I plug it into USB sound card. Can anyone help me getting my headphones to work without disturbing the scanner since its online to host a feed.

Thank You

A:Headphones only work in USB sound card

I occasionally use a USB sound card (in my case, to get an optical output) on my computer, running XP. Whenever I connect the USB sound card the onboard audio is cut off. I can toggle back and forth between the two outputs using the Control Panel, but it doesn't give me the option to use both outputs simultaneously. I think this is normal operation.

It sounds like you want to run one audio stream to the USB card and a second audio stream to the onboard audio. I don't know if there is any way to force the computer to use two different active audio outputs.

If anyone knows of a way to do this I'd like to know, too.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/440646/headphones-only-work-in-usb-sound-card/
Relevancy 49.88%

Hello I m not jack the work don't headphones When plugged into sure this is the right thread since I honestly don t know where the problem is or how to fix it So I just bought an Acer Aspire V nitro and it only has one sound audio jack When I first plugged in When plugged into jack the headphones don't work my headphones it gave me some options headphones microphone etc At the time I needed to use the microphone and so I checked that box then I saw it asking whether it should ask about the type everytime I plugged it in and I said no don t show this again - I thought it meant for this specific piece of gear but no it must have been for the jack port itself because when I plug my headphones into it to listen to stuff the sound keeps coming out of the laptop not the headphones I ve tried looking around in settings my laptop runs windows but I can t get that box with options to appear again What can I do Is there a way I can get the box where I chose type back Thank you very much for any help nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/when-plugged-into-jack-the-headphones-dont-work.1158083/
Relevancy 49.88%

Hi, i bought a laptop yesterday and today when i pluggin my headphones
speakers and headphones both will work at the same time.
What do i do i have reatek hd audio
please help

A:Headphones and Speakers will work at same time.help!

This might help explain it. AC'97 and HD audio front panel layouts

http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/83913-headphones-speakers-will-work-same-time-help.html
Relevancy 49.88%

I recently upgraded to windows 8 pro 32 bit.
For a month there were no problems.
But one sunday afternoon i was watching some movie on my laptop and suddenly the speakers stopped working.
I restarted it, but to no avail.
However my headphones still work, and so do external speakers work.

I tried reinstalling audio drivers frm the mfg's website-Didn't help.
I tried System restore to a point where i knew my speakers were working-Didn't help.
I even tried refreshing windows 8-Didn't help.

After almost a week now my speakers still do not work and only my headphones work.
If somebody have any solution to it kindly do help.

P.S.
I recently updated Nvidia Graphics Drivers in order to play COD BO2
If it has any relevance to my problem.
Thank You all in advance
Jenil

A:My Headphones will work but speakers wont.

Check the Sound/Playback panel. Your "speakers" should be set as the default playback device.

I have a Z560 but it has Intel, not NVIDIA graphics.

http://www.eightforums.com/sound-audio/25668-my-headphones-will-work-but-speakers-wont.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Like the title says -Laptop speakers don't headphones work, do speakers Laptop suddenly stop working one day after I turn on my computer from sleep mode it s been about - months now and they re still not working -Of course I ve restarted shut down hibernated sleep d my computer many times since then -I can plug in headphones and external speakers and they work just fine -My audio driver is enabled up Laptop speakers don't work, headphones do to date and works fine obviously since I can use headphones -The speakers AREN T broken proof is that my computer has a little startup quot Republic of Gamers quot logo with an explosion sound and it plays just fine through the speakers -There was an incident about a few days before this happened ASUS laptops are known to do this where they short circuit and shut down if you accidentally touch a headphone plug into the USB port I m not sure if this contributed since my speakers worked fine afterward nbsp

Relevancy 49.88%

Hi any advice here would be helpful.

I have a Inspiron 15 5555 laptop which was purchased in March this year. Everything was running okay on it apart from the Graphics card which kept crashing but thats a whole different story. my issue is with the sound. a few days ago i turned my laptop on and it told me i had a device plugged in and was highlighting the headphones. Now i can't get sound from the speakers.i've plugged in and unplugged the headphones and nothing will happen. I ran a diagnostic F12 test and i could heard the bleeps from the speakers. I've uninstalled drivers and reinstalled them. Updated all windows 10 updates and windows diagnosis but still nothing so now i'm at my wits end.Any advice would be much appreciated. 
Thanks. 

A:No sound from speakers but headphones work!

naomio_5it told me i had a device plugged in and was highlighting the headphones.
It seems that the computer is falsely sensing that there is a plug in the headphone jack, which could mean that the sensor has failed. See the Headphone Jack FAQ.
Another test you could try is to switch between the Realtek audio driver and the Windows native driver. If the speakers don't work with either driver, that's a good sign of a hardware defect.
1. Open the Device Manager (find it in the Control Panel, or type devmgmt.msc into the search box).2. Expand the "Sound, video & game controllers" and right click on "Realtek High Definition Audio".3. Select to "Update Driver Software".4. Click on "Browse my computer for driver software".5. Click "Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer".6. Put a check in the box "Show compatible hardware" if not already checked [but SEE NOTE].7. In the list of devices, click "High Definition Audio" (the native driver).8. Click "Next".9. On the Update Driver Warning box, click "Yes" (install the driver). 10. Restart the laptop if prompted. If not prompted, sometimes you have to restart, sometimes not.[To get back to the Realtek driver, do it again but reverse the names in steps 2 and 7.]
NOTE: if you have a 2-in-1 model and do not see a "High Definition Audio" option after step 6, then uncheck "Show compatible hardware". Then in step 7, if you see 2 "High Definition Audio" devices, select the 2nd one.If you only have the symptoms with one of the drivers, then the other is at fault. If you have the same symptoms with both audio drivers, then it is very probably not a driver issue.
Contact tech support to have it repaired. Be aware that sometimes Dell will deny support if any media player other than Windows Media Player is on the laptop, so remove any other players before contacting them, and don't tell them if you ever had any other players.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3517/t/19997049
Relevancy 49.88%

Hi,
I have a dell inspiron 1545 laptop. My warranty just expired and my speakers stopped working. when i diagnose them on my computer it says everything is fine. Ive reinstalled my drivers and there isnt anything wrong in the device manager. if i plug in my headphones i can hear. Please tell me this is something i can fix! thanks so much!

A:Speakers wont work but headphones do

how do the headphones attach - are they USB..??

http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/147949-speakers-wont-work-but-headphones-do.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Hi all,

I just got this laptop two weeks ago, but notice that the headphone jack does not work.  I have tried multiple headphone types and I can't get sound out of them.  Everytime I plug any type of headphone into the headphone jack, the sound just still play through the speakers.  In fact, the microphone will work, but not the sound output.  
  I've uninstalled the drivers and gone with the windows defaults, and it shows that the headphones are unplugged, but that the mic is plugged in.  Then I've gone ahead an installed the realtek drivers in again and it doesn't even show that I have headphones.  Can anyone lend me any insight before I return this sucker?  Thanks!

A:Headphones do not work on Inspiron 13 7347

That's a tough one. On mine I get a popup asking what did I just plug in, I have to select headphones, and until then even though the jack is fully in, sound still comes out from the speakers. So at least on the inspirons (I have 11 and 13) and latitude (e6440) the headphone sound is controlled by the driver. Yes, I did read that you've already tried different drivers, but bear with me, this will at most take 15 minutes:
- Blow into the jack to make sure there is no dust
- And as a last ditch effort, can you boot the system from Linux? There are many ways to easily boot into linux (as opposed to windows) but I'd rather let you pick the easiest way, just google for "ubuntu live usb" (or cd if you have optical media reader, then just burn an "iso" file and press F12 after restart). 

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3517/t/19611732
Relevancy 49.88%

No sound comes from my speakers. I can only hear sound through my headphones. What could be possibly wrong?

A:My Computer Speakers do not work even though my headphones do.

Different jack sockets?

Maybe have a look in your audio control panel see if there is a tick in the mute box or the levels pulled down for the main speaker.

Double click speaker icon in the tray or goto control panel - sounds and audio devices maybe

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-computer-speakers-do-not-work-even-though-my-headphones-do.784173/
Relevancy 49.88%

I just bought some headphones so I can listen to music or DVDs my compter but I'm getting no sound.

Has anyone had this problem before?

Relevancy 49.88%

I tried two sets of headphones and they both do the same thing. Weather I listen with real player or wmp I can only hear from the left side. The speakers work fine without the headphones. Any ideas?

Edit - just realized no sound coming from right speaker either. Is it a setting or speaker?

Relevancy 49.88%

I have a compaq CQ60, its 6 months old and when I plug the headphones nothing happens, I have also noticed that the built in microphone doesn't work either. What shall I do?

A:Headphones simply dont work

Welcome,
Go to control panel, hardware and sound, manage audio devices.
Make sure they are listed there and are not disabled.

http://www.vistax64.com/sound-audio/268287-headphones-simply-dont-work.html
Relevancy 49.88%

I had a post where Coloud Boom headphones didnt work on Lumia 630, but they are fine and working on laptop, etc. Now I got a new Lumia 550 and still they dont work on Lumia. Coloud sent me headphone adapter but still nothing. Now I cant blame my phone, cant blame headphones because they work, but together, nothing. Doesnt even recognize them on my phone.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/438134-my-headphones-microphone-does-not-work-new-lumia-550-why.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Just got a pair of Fatal1ty Gamin Headsets and after waking up the next day half the headphones on each side work only hear sound in the back. I looked in my Audio Settings and everything looked normal and Drivers were updated like my computer told me it was. Help i dont know what to do.

A:Sound in my headphones half work after just getting them.

I don't know which Fatal1ty headset model you have, however, some require a special port on the computer to work properly. I have an ASRock Z77 Professional Fatal1ty motherboard and it has the special port required by some of those headset models.

http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/348198-sound-my-headphones-half-work-after-just-getting-them.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Hey guys Am I stupid or is it actually hard to install a headset on XP I m trying to connect an analog headset headphones and microphone which I work won't headphones but.. Solved: Embarrassing, ve figured out are the model Logitech - on my Dell Dimension E running Windows XP Media Center I already have Dell speakers I plugged it nicely into my audio card input slots nicely color-coded so I can t go wrong there But my audio still comes out of the speakers and the microphone doesn t work My PC didn t detect Solved: Embarrassing, but.. headphones won't work any hardware having been added neither automagically nor after running a wizard I should be able to switch Primary Audio Device or something but I can t find the control for it in MS own Volume Control thing with the sliders balance control I must add that I went from being a technical wizard in my girlfriend s eyes I succesfully installed Bluetooth so she could upload photos from her GSM to being a total ignoramus --although she used another word she wants to use Skype and is currently throwing things at me Please somebody what am I doing wrong or not doing cronopio nbsp

Relevancy 49.88%

Ever since last night, my internal speakers will only work if something is plugged into the headphone jack, be it headphones or external speakers. This happened right after I unplugged some external speakers.

In control panel, it says headphones are plugged in when they are not and that they are not plugged in when they are. Sound comes through both the speakers and the headphones when headphones are plugged in.

Oddly enough, Skype login sounds still play. Windows startup sounds and all other media, videos, etc doesn't work without the headphones however.

I have tried updating the sound card driver using the automatic detection program from the AMD website. Then I tried updating the sound card driver via the HP website. Then I tried a system restore. Nothing has worked so far.

Help please?

A:Speakers only work with headphones plugged in

Try an uninstall/reinstall of the sound. Go to the Device Manager, RIGHT click on the entry for your sound device and the LEFT click "uninstall". DO NOT check the box to also uninstall the drivers. Restart the PC and when Windows starts it will detect and reinstall the sound. This fixes a lot of flakey problems and if you are lucky will take care of yours.

http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/252005-speakers-only-work-headphones-plugged.html
Relevancy 49.88%

After searching through many pages of headphone problems I did not come up with this one.

I purchased my first computer headphones today.
The microphone works fine.

The headphones work when I play a CD track I have stored in Media Player, but not when I switch to using a radio station in Media Player. Only the speakers work then.

On the internet the headphones will work on sites which have music through mid files but not from sites which have a wma through real player. The headphones do not work with real player in any conditions.

When in Yahoo chat, I was heard. My speakers work but not the headphones.

Can anyone suggest any settings to change to get the headphones to be accepted by all medias? I did remove the mute from line1 and rebooted.

Thank you for any advice.

Relevancy 49.88%

I didn't know what all the sound card jacks did on my PC, so I looked in my manual and now I see that, since my two audio out ports are taken up by speakers and a subwoofer, I can use the free versa jack for my headphones. I plugged them in, but there is no sound. How do I use the headphones? Yes, there is another headphone jack in the front of the PC which does work, but it's a headset I'm using, and the two plugs (one for headphones, one for the speaker part) are close together, so I can only use the jacks that are next to the mic jack.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/when-do-headphones-work-in-the-versa-jack.114993/
Relevancy 49.88%

Hi, I have an HP Pavilion Slimline and everything was fine prior to a move 3 weeks ago. Now I get sound from my headphones but nothing from my speakers, I tried not only the speakers I used before, but a set I had hooked to a TV and nada, Both work well attached to my lap top. I bought a set of wireless speakers from Circuit city and still nothing.

I have run every diagnostic test I can find and everything says my puter is operating at 100%. I uninstalled and reinstalled RealTec and no difference.

Sure hope someone can help, as I think this is a silly reason to have to purchase a new puter, especially since this one is only a little over a year old.

Oh, the only thing different is that I switched from FIOS to Cox cable when I moved.
Thxs for the help ( He says hopefully)

Jimbo

A:headphones work but external speakers don't

Are you testing the headphones in the same output as the speakers? I'd guess not, which would indicate that output is faulty.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/headphones-work-but-external-speakers-dont.1007658/
Relevancy 49.88%

my headphones work on itunes,youtube and anything on the internet but when im using skype they dont work
and the properties seem to be good

A:Headphones dont work on skype

Quote: Originally Posted by CrippledLlama

my headphones work on itunes,youtube and anything on the internet but when im using skype they dont work and the properties seem to be good

I don't know what you mean by "properties seem to be good", but have you set your Tools -> Audio settings to select your headphones?

And your headphones are an actual entry in "playback devices", so that Skype's audio settings can choose it?

http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/316309-headphones-dont-work-skype.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Well I finally got the new Dell desktop with all the bells and whistles and try as I may I cant get any output or input from my headset when I booted the machine up it worked fine and then just stopped I've checked all the settings the volume control has green bars bouncing PC work headphones New with wont vista.. up and down and its not muted but no joy I've changed the headset and it New PC with vista.. headphones wont work works on a laptop with vista and I don't even get the windows sound on the new pc when it starts its Vista home premium edition I play COD occasionally and use teamspeak for this I heard there may be a problem with headphones and I may need to get a new set compatible with vista or it may be a driver issue but sounds odd to me but hey I can fix your broken arm but this has me stumped Everything else seems fine any suggestions from you gods of technology out there Dr Nic

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/new-pc-with-vista-headphones-wont-work-152618.html
Relevancy 49.45%

This is a problem I've been facing ever since I reformatted the system. I'm using wireless keyboard and when ever the machine is turned on, it wouldn't respond for the keyboard or mouse at the login screen. I have to force shut down and turn it on back to make it recognize. The second time works like a charm. Sometimes audio won't work for the first time but force restart solves it. I don't know why but I did install all the drivers. Could anyone help me out here.

A:USB won't work at Windows Startup

Make and model of this machine would help?

Did you use the DVD from the OEM of this machine to reinstall Windows 7?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/usb-wont-work-at-windows-startup.1085549/
Relevancy 49.02%

My Laptop has a dual boot system, windows 7 and ubuntu 16, both works fine.

Until i got something problem when i play music at my windows 7 with plugged external speaker or headphone or anythings, the audio won't comes out.
So i try to unplugged my speaker and the audio works fine.

I think there's a problem with my jack or laptop's terminal or something inside my laptop,
so i change my OS to ubuntu 16 and plugged my speaker, and it's work!

what happen to my windows 7?

I try to install all my driver from my CD and restart it, and still won't work

And i look at my Realtek HD Audio, my speaker show with black colored jack

Try to check from audio troubleshooting too, but it's no help, says that everything is fine

Help me to solve the problem..

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/401799-audio-wont-work-external-speaker-headphones.html