Windows Support Forum

How do I block a user from accessing my files?

Q: How do I block a user from accessing my files?

My brother wanted to play a game on my computer, so I created an account. I have private files under C:\Users\Jason (Me) and I don't want him to access them. If I right click "Jason" and choose "Properties," I go to security. There is where the problem comes in.
I don't see his name listed.

Everyone
SYSTEM
Jason (Jason-PC\Jason)
Home Users (Jason-PC\Home Users)
Account Unknown ( Random words and numbers )
uuid: 1000000-0000-0000-0200-001DD8 *ECT*
Administrators (Jason-PC\Administrators)
Users (Jason-PC\users)
WMPNetworkSvc

What do I edit so my brothers account *Steven* won't be able to access my files under C:\Users\Jason?

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: How do I block a user from accessing my files?

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: How do I block a user from accessing my files?

Under the list of names click Edit, then click Add and type your brothers Username in, click Ok then tick the box Deny beside Full Control.

Regards,
George

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/how-do-i-block-a-user-from-accessing-my-files-573302.html
Relevancy 95.46%

I am new to this forum. So kindly inform me if there is any format in asking queries. It would be helpful in my future queries.
I have an Administrator account. Now i want to create another user account so that others can use my laptop through that account. I want to restrict those users in accessing my documents,folders,files etc and limiting them to certain programs only. I guess this is what is called Setting 'Permissions'.
But i haven't yet understood the clear picture of this. Can anyone explain it in a simple manner and help me out in creating an user account with limited access to my hard drive C and D.

A:How do i block other user account from accessing my folders or files

Hello SysEngineer and welcome to Seven Forums.

You probably want to deny those users permission to access your data. These tutorials hsould help.

Permissions - Allow or Deny Users and Groups

Block Drives, Folders, and Files from Other 7/Vista User Accounts [How To] | Windows 7 Security | Windows Tools, Help & Guides

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/270492-how-do-i-block-other-user-account-accessing-my-folders-files.html
Relevancy 80.84%

I have several user accounts on a Windows 7 Machine.

What I want to do is deny access, or better yet hide the folders (even if show hidden files and folders is enabled) to certain folders for only one specific user.

How would I go about this?

thanks.

A:block user from accessing folder(s)?

Hello Inepoe888 and Welcome to BC,

The only way I know of to be able to do what you are asking is by setting group policies. This is somewhat advanced, and usually done by IT tech's / admins, however if you Google "group policies Windows 7" you can find out a great deal about what it is, and if this is something you feel comfortable doing.

Couple of things worth noting:

1) Only works on Windows 7 Ultimate, Professional, or Enterprise to my knowledge. Will not work on Home Premium versions.

2) Must be admin.

Good Luck!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/322280/block-user-from-accessing-folders/
Relevancy 79.98%

My brother has a 2tb hard drive in his computer and he barely uses any of the space in it. So I shared a folder from his computer, and then mapped that folder to mine. I use to this for storage purposes. I was wondering if there was a way from preventing my brother from being able to open this folder if he were to find it on his computer. I'm running win 8 and he's running win 7.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/21435-block-local-user-accessing-folder.html
Relevancy 79.98%

Hi i have patition (c) and partition (D) and partition (j)
I need help blocking a standard user from accessing partition (D) and partion (j).

windows 7 Home premium
64 bit

Thnks for any help in advanced

A:How can i block certain user accounts from accessing certain partition

Hello yeabuddy,

You could use the tutorial below to set the D and J drive permissions to "Deny" all access to only that specific user account.

Permissions - Allow or Deny Users and Groups

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/212724-how-can-i-block-certain-user-accounts-accessing-certain-partition.html
Relevancy 67.94%

Hi

I recently upgraded my computer's CPU/Motherboard/RAM etc however, after plugging in my old hard drives, Windows failed to load. In an effort to save my old files I reinstalled windows XP on my secondary hard drive, hoping to access my original hard drive's files through the reinstalled version of windows. Everything went according to plan except when trying to access the old 'My Documents' folder, and the computer says 'Access denied,' probably because that folder was declared private on my old network and because the user account was password protected. Please help me retrieve my old files!

Ta

Beau

Relevancy 66.65%

Hi,
I had a Dell Laptop with Win7 64-bit. But there was a problem and it wouldn't boot anymore. The problem is that there are some very important files in that laptop. So, I got that hard drive out and connected it to my Toshiba (Win7, 32-bit) as an external drive.

I was not able to access the 'user' files from the dell. When I tried to open it, I got an error message 'access denied'. So, I went to properties --> Security --> Advanced, and changed the permissions to everyone. Now, when I open the folder 'Documents and Settings', it opens the folder on my Toshiba, and not the actual files that are on that hard drive.
I NEED to get those files out of there. Please help.

Relevancy 65.79%

hi all i have a set of files that are encrypted using efs windows xp pro sp stupidly i cant find my private key certificate that im sure i backedup at some point but cant find it anywhere i am always logged in as admin only account on this pc today i logged in and spybot found a trojan that i removed using spybot now i cant access my encrypted files normal access denied you expect when you dont have permissions just to confirm i am using the same login i have changed nothing on my login such as username password or computer name everything is exactly the same i couldnt figure this out so i made a blank file right click and encrypted it and noticed the certificate thumbprint is different on this file to the other encrypted files of which have the same thumbprint i downloaded this demo and ran http www elcomsoft com aefsdr html it found various keys on the computer apparently although when i searched for files pfk found nothing it could de-encrypt most of the files not all of them trouble is its i really dont want to have to spend that cash when i should just have access to these files anyway i am thinking that trojan removal has done something to my login or user account encrypted same EFS accessing still login files, in Problem user Does anyone have any ideas what I can do Your help much appreciated Thanks nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problem-accessing-efs-encrypted-files-still-in-same-user-login.930028/
Relevancy 65.79%

Hi,For a reason or reasons unknown to me, my Limited User account (on Windows Xp Media Centre SP2) seems able to access System files, Administrator files and Administrative tools. It can even access the Registry Editor! I am not sure if it supposed to go this far... But it cannot create a user account or change account type. I have recently been wandering through Local Security Policy and Services in Administrative tools, but I don't recall making any changes. Even if I did, I make sure I know what I'm doing first and normally after confirming from more than one source. I have checked again that it is in fact set to 'Limited User'! Please help. I have been trying to figure out the problem for like 2 weeks now. Thanks in advance.

A:Limited User Accessing Adminstrative Files And Tools

At Member request, I am bumping this question.
jgweed

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/118951/limited-user-accessing-adminstrative-files-and-tools/
Relevancy 64.93%

I had several files that I NTFS encrypted on my Windows XP pro laptop. I recently changed my log in password and now cannot access my files. I receive an access denied error message. I really need to get into these files. I have tried taking ownership of file and changing password back. Neither worked. I can locate the key within regedit but I do not know what I can do with it. If anyone has any suggestions I would be forever thankful.

A:Accessing NTFS encrypted files after changing user password

How did you change the password back? Did you do it from within the account in question or as the Administrator? If as the Administrator, try changing it back again while already logged into the account.If that doesn't work, and you don't have either a Password Recovery Disk or a user set up with Data Recovery rights, (the disk or the user rights must have been created while you still had access to the files) then I'm afraid your files are not recoverable.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/296403/accessing-ntfs-encrypted-files-after-changing-user-password/
Relevancy 64.93%

Hi everybody, recently my desktop running on Win xp started to boot very very slowly (unimaginable ... it's not posssible to work !!!! horrible!!!) so I tried to boot into SafeMode. But in safemode after loading some files it displays Safemode in four corners and stops. I've a password protected account and "My Documents" folder is not accesssible to other users. When I try to get the files from "My documents" folder by connecting the SATA HDD to another PC, the folder shows empty and when I try to copy it, it doesn't allow. Pls tell me how to get back the files and folders. After backigup the files I'll format the drive and clean install Win xp. Thanx in advance...
shashi

A:Accessing folders/files of Password protected User account in Win XP

Try this on your other pc with the laptops hard drive connected:

Use an Administrators account:

(1)
open my computer and from top menu select tools >Folder options > View :

Then scroll to the bottom of the list in window and UNTICK "Use simple file sharing (recommended)"

click apply at the bottom and apply to all folders at the top and click ok:

In my computer note the drive letter of your problem hdd then run: "chkdsk D: /r"
where "D" is the drive letter of your problem hdd.

Let the process finish (might take a long time).

When diskcheck has finished open the drives and go to the folders that you want to access (dont try to open them yet)!

(2)
Right click on the folder and select properties then select security tab at the top,
Click the owner tab at the top
then in the change owner to section click to highlight the "Administrators (........)administrators"
(.....just means some chars)
tick "replace owner on subcontainers and objects" and apply. then ok to exit that window.
In the properties window that is still open, Highlight the "Administrators" and Tick the "Full Control" tickbox under "allow" Apply and OK to close the window.

You should now now have full control any data in that folder. Repeat step (2) for all the folders you want to get information from. You can also perform step (2) on individual files if you still cant access them.

If this does not work I'm sure someone else will suggest recovery method for you
let us know your progress please.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/accessing-folders-files-of-password-protected-user-account-in-win-xp.113662/
Relevancy 58.91%

Hello, I am using spotify, and this evil program uses P2P to share music even though I pay decent money. So I'm trying to block its P2P connections. I need a program to stop it from connecting to websites other than what I specify. Little snitch does that, but it's Mac only. Any suggestions? Thanks

A:Block a a program from accessing sites other than what I specified.

Have a look at NetLimiter. I THINK you can use it to block connections by protocol.

http://www.eightforums.com/system-security/7160-block-program-accessing-sites-other-than-what-i-specified.html
Relevancy 58.91%

Does anyone know of an app that will block another app from accesing the internet? Kind of like a very simple firewall that says yes access the net or no block it, no ports or anything like that, and nothing that would stay resident.
Say for an example, i like a really nice piece of software but, it phones home for a checkup everytime i use it. I'd prefer to do the checking manually and the application has no need for the network other than for updates (kinda like acrobat reader).

A:Block applications from accessing the internet

sevensun said:

Does anyone know of an app that will block another app from accesing the internet? Kind of like a very simple firewall that says yes access the net or no block it, no ports or anything like that, and nothing that would stay resident.
Say for an example, i like a really nice piece of software but, it phones home for a checkup everytime i use it. I'd prefer to do the checking manually and the application has no need for the network other than for updates (kinda like acrobat reader).Click to expand...

Hi sevensun,

Welcome to TSG!

A freeware firewall that notifies you of all outbound connection attempts that you can block is ZoneAlrarm Free from http://www.zonelabs.com, i.e. you can add programs and set prompt, block, allow under Resource Control Center - Program Control window display.

-- Tom

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/block-applications-from-accessing-the-internet.421512/
Relevancy 58.91%

Does anyone have any idea how to block users from accessing certain folders (IE: Program Files). I can block access but then the program(s) won't run. I just don't want users snooping around the computer. So I would like to block them from viewing folders in windows explorer and even internet explorer. Maybe even password protect the folders. Any ideas?

A:Block users from accessing folders

right click on the folder under sharing tab check make this folder private. Then windows will ask you if you want to put a pw protection too, click on yes and proceed.

regards.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/block-users-from-accessing-folders-65820.html
Relevancy 58.91%

Hi guys Not sure if question should be here or in Networking Is there a way of BLOCKING some incoming sites from possibly accessing your web servers Note this is for a HOME webserver with a webserver sites accessing block How from do IIS I bog standard home router -- so no corporate type of hardware firewall etc Using W X- build with latest IIS server installed Looking at the Router log I see some entries like this I've blanked out the destination for obvious reasons TCP Packet - Source Destination How do I block sites from accessing IIS webserver - Web Server rule match Thu - - - TCP Packet - Source Destination - Web Server rule match Thu - - - TCP Packet - Source Destination - Web Server rule match Thu - - - TCP Packet - Source Destination - Web Server rule match Thu - - - TCP Packet - Source The IP 's found from the WHOIS IP site are - Geo InformationIP Address Host Location CN ChinaCityChengdu -OrganizationCHINANET Sichuan province networkISPCHINANET Sichuan province networkAS NumberAS No Jin-rong Street and - Geo InformationIP Address Host Location CN ChinaCityChengdu -OrganizationCHINANET Sichuan province networkISPCHINANET Sichuan province networkAS NumberAS No Jin-rong Street Any network gurus out there -- what do I need to do now if anything BTW it doesn't look like they've logged on or anything -- decent passwords firewalls closed ports and router remote facility is turned off Cheers jimbo

A:How do I block sites from accessing IIS webserver

Hi Jimbo,

I'm no IIS/network/security guru but can't you set your router to deny certain Sites/IP addresses from 'passing' through your router?

For example:

Sorry, only think I can think of

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/19027-how-do-i-block-sites-accessing-iis-webserver.html
Relevancy 58.91%

Hi everyone. We began the internet service in our computer shop, but I want to know how does LAN games allows only in LAN and blocks from accessing internet. Games such as Warcraft III, Counter Strike, GTA IV and others have LAN and internet support, and we want to keep them on LAN so that clients (particularly brainless kids) don't go online and autoupdate games. I tried to browse in Firewall advance option, but there are too many options to block them (I was confused). I need some help here. Thanks

A:Allows LAN Games only in LAN and block from accessing internet

If you don't want the computer to have access to the internet at all, one way to achieve this is to remove the gateway address from the LAN adapter config. Depending on which version of Windows you have, you can also lock down this setting with group policy editor

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/296170-allows-lan-games-only-lan-block-accessing-internet.html
Relevancy 58.48%

Hi everyone i'm having problems with this now i have Eset smart security witch manages the firewall
but of course i'm not sure if it's because of Eset but when i went to the advanced settings i only got these options.

There is no "rules" tab i don't know was this because of some updates or my antivirus or windows it's self
can anyone help me get the "Rules" Tab to apere or can anyone offer me a little application witch will do the trick?

A:How do i block a specific program from accessing the internet?

I would try this sequence.

Disable ESet
see if rules settings appear
if so, set the rules
test
enable ESet
test again

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/337285-how-do-i-block-specific-program-accessing-internet.html
Relevancy 58.05%

I'm running XP Pro with mulitiple users. I want to "turn off" Internet access for a single user while leaving free access to the other users.

I've tried a couple of NetNanny style programs, but I don't like the extra passwords that others have to use, and I don't like extra burden on system resources.

j.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/block-internet-for-single-user-on-multi-user-xp-pro.142159/
Relevancy 57.62%

Hello,
I'd like to know how to block a user from using the internet when they plug their computer into a router. My roommate has refused to pay her share of the internet and, being a college student, I don't have enough money where I feel generous enough to let her have free internet after stiffing me. Basically, I have 2 routers at the moment (hoping to fix this soon): my Qwest modem works as a router but I also have a Linksys router connected to it. The only phone jack is in her room so I have no way of stopping her from plugging her computer straight into the modem and/or router. I've configured the wireless so that she would be unable to access the, wirelessly but I'd like to know how to prevent her accessing the internet when she plugs her computer directly into either component.

Thank you for your help!

A:Block Wired Computer From Accessing Internet Through Router?

Well,through the router you could enable mac address filtering and allow only your mac address to traffic through the router.It's a pain,but that is a possibility.
Now,limiting access through the modem,I have no idea.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/block-wired-computer-from-accessing-internet-through-router.979812/
Relevancy 57.62%

is there a free sofware that blocks users from accessing porn sites??

A:what software to use to block people from accessing porn sites on my com???

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/what-software-to-use-to-block-people-from-accessing-porn-sites-on-my-com.403874/
Relevancy 57.19%

HOWTOGEEK COM - How to Block An Application from Accessing the Internet with Windows Firewall Why Do I an the Accessing Application (Guide) Firewall: from Internet Windows Block Want To Do This quot Some of you might have been sold immediately by the headline as blocking an application is exactly what you ve been wanting to do Others may have opened this tutorial curious as to why one would block an application in the first place Although you Windows Firewall: Block an Application from Accessing the Internet (Guide) generally want your applications to have free access to the network after all what good is a web browser Windows Firewall: Block an Application from Accessing the Internet (Guide) that can t reach the web there are a Windows Firewall: Block an Application from Accessing the Internet (Guide) variety of situations in which you may wish to prevent an application from accessing the network Some simple and commonplace examples are as follows You might have an application that insists on automatically updating itself but those updates break some functionality and you wish to stop the updates You might have a video game that you re comfortable with your child playing but you re not so comfortable with the online and unsupervised multiplayer elements You might be using an application with really obnoxious ads that can be silenced by cutting off the application s Internet access Regardless of why you want to drop the cone of network connectivity silence over a given application a trip into the guts of the Windows Firewall is an easy way to do so Let s take a look at how to block an application from accessing the local network and Internet now quot Although we ll be demonstrating this trick on Windows the basic layout and premise has remained largely unchanged over the years and you can easily adapt this tutorial to earlier versions of Windows CREATING A WINDOWS FIREWALL RULE - How to Block An Application from Accessing the Internet with Windows Firewall nbsp

A:Windows Firewall: Block an Application from Accessing the Internet (Guide)

I never actually knew the Windows Firewall had advanced features until I started to use Group Policy and noticed the option in there!

https://malwaretips.com/threads/windows-firewall-block-an-application-from-accessing-the-internet-guide.50261/
Relevancy 52.89%

hi,

How to block the particular user in the shared pc

NOTE:i have the local admin rights

Relevancy 52.46%

Hello my apologies if this was already discussed but I searched the forum and couldn't find anything As the title states on my laptop vista erased files in my user profile while the other user profiles my gf's and the guest profiles were basically left untouched I use an HP dv series with Vista Ultimate gb ram gb hd and ghz if that helps For starters let me tell you what happened Help!!!!!! Vista admin erased other user user relatively left files, files untouched, As of late I have been using the Power saver option so that the screen brightness is dulled so that I can use it in the dark when everyone's asleep as well as the High performance option when my gf uses it shes addicted to the sims and has pulled me in too Normally I have it on the HP recommended option A few nights ago I was using my laptop and instead of shutting down I hibernated as I usually do because my Vista erased admin user files, other user files left relatively untouched, Help!!!!!! gf is usually still logged in The next morning my gf started up the laptop and the password screen for my profile came up and Vista erased admin user files, other user files left relatively untouched, Help!!!!!! she switched users and logged into hers Then later she hibernated as well and we left to run some errands with a friend When we got back my friend wanted to use the laptop to play online chess yahoo games to be exact so I just put in my password to log into my profile so he could play without any issues if he needed to since my profile is the administrator he wouldnt need me to put in passwords if he had to download or upgrade any software When I came to check up on him I saw that my wallpaper the folders on the desktop as well as my windows sidebar settings were Vista erased admin user files, other user files left relatively untouched, Help!!!!!! all gone At first I thought he signed out and went to the guest profile but that wasn't the case Needless to say I was p ssed and decided to look at it later When I did I noticed that the Documents Pictures Downloads Videos folders were all empty so I signed out and checked the other users To my surprise my gf's as well as the guest profiles were left untouched in fact the website my gf had left up was still there the desktop remained the same and her windows side bar was ok and her Pictures Documents folders etc remained untouched same with the guest profile In addition to my pictures Documents folders etc some the the programs I downloaded were also erased the shortcuts on desktop and program files ie itunes youcam and I also had to reinstall windows media player This is constant throughout the entire laptop The only programs that remained were skype the sims and irfanview although its no on the desktop or program files but when I open a picture file or folder it shows up when I right click Also what I thought was pretty weird was that the recycle bin still had all the crap that I deleted from before so what I did was I restored a video I had downloaded to the downloads folder then did a search for the file name and found it in Downloads in the user folder equivalent in c Documents and Settings users Stephen I'm not sure if that the exact path to the folder but you get the point There I found all of my files excluding the programs erased that were mentioned previously Can someone tell me what happened because I'm confused as h ll and would love to find out the cause so that I can try to prevent it in the future Why was it that the Users folders were still ok and if this were to happen again will these folders retain the stuff that I save from now on and erase the old stuff or will it keep the new and the old or will it just not save any of the new stuff I save Thanks for your time and help and my apologies if I rambled on a bit Stephen

A:Vista erased admin user files, other user files left relatively untouched, Help!!!!!!

hello
I don't know what, how, when or why, what I do know is while your still able you need to make another admin account.
that way (not if ) but when it happens again, it may be worse & you won't be able to do anything without admin privileges...

good luck

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/265128-vista-erased-admin-user-files-other-user-files-left-relatively-untouched-help.html
Relevancy 52.46%

I know there is a way of blocking user from changing there screensaver and desktop setting by changing a files extention (example desktop.abc to desktop.123). When you do that then if a user changes the desktop color or a screen saver or adds icon. Next time they log on everything will go back to the orignal settings (the way things where before renaming the file).

I cant remeber the name of the file and what do I need to rename it to. Can someone help me pls?

A:Block user desktop

If you are running Windows 2000 or XP pro you can set a policy settings.

Start > run > gpedit.msc

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/block-user-desktop.423608/
Relevancy 52.46%

I have one admin account and 1 standard account. Is there any way I can block the standard account from being able to access storage spaces (my computer > D/F/G drive > documents, pictures, etc)? I would like the standard account only to be able to access one folder and few programs (like media center).
Please help!

Thanks

A:Win 8 - Block user access??

Hello c, and welcome to eightforums!

You can try out family safety from live essentials. To download windows live essentials free, follow this link: Windows Essentials: Other Programs - install all essential programs, or select which ones to install manually.

You will need to go through and select what programs to block. Try it and see if it is for you.

Also, standard accounts are not able to view the photos, documents, etc. of other accounts. They can only view public items and their own items in their own documents (etc.).

They can use disk space, but they cannot see the items used by another account.

Hope I've answered your questions. Let me know!

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/16064-win-8-block-user-access.html
Relevancy 52.03%

I need a way to block internet access to one of my users but I also want to allow internet access to the other users on the computer.

A:Block Internet Access for 1 user and not the others

http://www.portslock.com/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/block-internet-access-for-1-user-and-not-the-others.378428/
Relevancy 52.03%

I am going to be putting a router with OpenDNS in place, but realize one could easily browse to a blocked site by IP address. Is it possible to block a user from browsing by IP address (and force them to use DNS)? This is in a home environment.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dae6b384-ceab-4708-b7d8-f002cbfb127f/block-user-from-browsing-website-by-ip?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 52.03%

I have passwod protected my PC so my kids only get on it when I want them to, or so I thought!!

My son, and credit to him, just made is own account with admin rights and logged into it instead of mine, until I noticed on bootup one day and then deleted it.

Is there a way of making it impossible for him to do this?

A:Block someone creating user account in XP?

Had he been using your account (which was the administrative account) to logon? If so, he can create an account whenever he wants. Not sure with XP Home, but XP Pro provides alot more security with user accounts. Your best bet is to create a limited user account for him and don't let him use your account. Change the password on your account also. Although, I'm not sure how good he is with the computer--there are programs out there that let you bypass the admin's password (let's hope he doesn't know about it).

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/block-someone-creating-user-account-in-xp.360311/
Relevancy 52.03%

how pendrive block in particular user in windows 7.what can i do.pls help.

A:how pendrive block in particular user in windows 7

Could you add some more content to your question please?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/how-pendrive-block-in-particular-user-in-windows-7-a-669082.html
Relevancy 51.17%

One of my Standard user is able to install softwares without administrator password. How can i block it.

A:How to block standard user from installing softwares.

password protect your admin account

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/132429-how-block-standard-user-installing-softwares.html
Relevancy 51.17%

I have two errors on the main page.
Warning: Division by zero in /home/pckiller/public_html/phpnuke/blocks/block-User_Info.php on line 198

Warning: Division by zero in /home/pckiller/public_html/phpnuke/blocks/block-User_Info.php on line 203

The stats for the daily and monthly hits do not show.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Relevancy 51.17%

Hi,
first, i want to apologize for my english, it?s so bad but I hope that you understand me.
I want to block all user accounts internet traffic, except one of them(a user account called "profesor").
In outbound rules I blocked all traffic to remote port 80 with TCP protocol and in incoming rules I blocked all traffic from remote port 80 but in last rule I put as exception, in users tab of incoming rules called exceptions, "profesor" accounts.
I achieve block internet traffic but for all user, included "profesor" accounts.

Please, could anyone help me?

Thank you, very much.

Relevancy 51.17%

Hi
How can I block internet access for a specific user in Lan other than using proxy software and proxy settings in Internet explorer.
We do not want to go to each desktop and do the proxy settings .
We would like to do centrally say using the active directory and Domain Server.
Please let us know how to do it using group policy step by step using windows OS 2000 and OS 2003.

Thanks in advance
hmtmbx

A:Block internet access for a specific user in LAN

Depending on your network setup, you can just remove the default gateway from the user's computer. Hopefully the user shouldn't have admin rights so the user can't possibly go in and change the settings.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/block-internet-access-for-a-specific-user-in-lan.905722/
Relevancy 51.17%

I created a non-administrator account in Windows 8 for family members.
I want to restrict access to specific folders.
In Windows explorer, I right click properties on the folder, go into the security settings,
but it's not clear what I need to do. Highlighting "users", I attempt to deny access but I get a warning
that seems to be communicating that it would also block admin access to that particular folder.

Relevancy 51.17%

I have a kind of problem that I always go to my favorite websites - even without really thinking about it - while I'm supposed to be working with my computer This makes me to work much slower For Firefox I installed add-on called blocksite which helps me to keep myself away from those websites But user to rights How low on block when sites IExplorer7 this computer also has Internet Explorer It has of course in-built option to block sites content advisor - gt approved sites but my user rights in this university network are not high enough to block any sites that way And computer staff says this cannot be changed Further I also cannot delete Internet Explorer from this computer since I have no user rights to change those files I also cannot modify How to block sites on IExplorer7 when low user rights those Windows system files which are sometimes used to add web filters So can you imagine any other way to block sites on Internet Explorer It would help me a How to block sites on IExplorer7 when low user rights lot if I could restrict my own How to block sites on IExplorer7 when low user rights browsing somehow The OS in this computer is Windows XP

A:How to block sites on IExplorer7 when low user rights

IE Options>Security> put in sites you want blocked. If they don't take, get temp admin rights or have IT do it.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f56/how-to-block-sites-on-iexplorer7-when-low-user-rights-495956.html
Relevancy 50.74%

Hi everybody I seem to be the second user having this problem some when yesterday evening help infected) virus the please block? fresh new hunizeakezif.exe on : (another user a file called quot hunizeakezif exe quot made its way onto my system now it's asking all the time for permission to modify settings on my computer I'm on windows and I always click quot no quot But I cannot remove hunizeakezif.exe : fresh new virus on the block? (another user infected) please help this file just like Damien see below Please help me remove the file I have already tried to use File Assassin on it and it didn't bring anything Quote Hello I made the mistake hunizeakezif.exe : fresh new virus on the block? (another user infected) please help of going to a website last night on a work computer that put a thing called hunizeakezif exe on the computer I am worried that it will get traced back to me if I don't get it removed or at least quarantined I looked up the name of it and that is spelled correctly hunizeakezif exe and nothing came up Our work uses symantec anti-virus This exe file icon looks like the cap from a bottle of Heineken beer hunizeakezif.exe : fresh new virus on the block? (another user infected) please help It is kb in size Our computers run XP If anyone knows about how I can remove this file It wouldn't allow me to drag to the recycle bin or delete or cut and paste to a flashdrive I would appreciate their help If you need more to go on I'll be more than happy to give more detail Thanks Damian http www techsupportforum com foru al- html

A:hunizeakezif.exe : fresh new virus on the block? (another user infected) please help

Ok update : this is getting more and more interesting by the hour : now the file has vanished ?! I don't know if that's a good or bad sign... It's not in the directory where it was just a few minutes ago and I have searched the computer for it and it's nowhere to be found...

What do you suggest? Please, I'd really appreciate some help. Thank you

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f100/hunizeakezif-exe-fresh-new-virus-on-the-block-another-user-infected-please-help-660157.html
Relevancy 50.31%

I recently replaced my motherboard which because my new one is a different chipset than my old one, required me to repair my windows install. Rather than do that and possibly lose a bunch of stuff in My Documents folder and my extensive Favorites I opted to just do a new install on another partition. So far everything has worked fine but when I tried to get into my old Admin files in my "Documents & Settings" Folder it gave me a red x and said Access Denied.

Anyone know how I get around this and into this folder?

A:Help Accessing old User Documents & Settings?

You would have been just fine doing a repair install.
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Take Ownership of the folders and files.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=XP+Take+Ownership

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/help-accessing-old-user-documents-and-settings-93029.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Hi

Normally I try to find out myself, but for this problem I think I'll try asking.

We are often recommended to not run in Administrator mode/account. For this reason I created a second account on my Windows XP and have found that Internet Explorer can't get out through the wireless modem.

In the Admin account IE seems to have no problem.

thanks
greg c

A:Accessing internet from other user account

Quick fix is to use the Guest Account which has internet Access.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/404857/accessing-internet-from-other-user-account/
Relevancy 50.31%

First, thanks guys, and thank god i found you

I am running on Windows XP Home, we have 2 user accounts, today one of the user accounts can no longer access internet anymore, tells us it is firewalls etc, i have tried everything. The other user account is quite happily doing its normal thing, what is that all about and how do i fix it? we haven't installed anything new or made any changes lately, have done all the usual updates and scans. Just cant figure out why one account will and one wont.

Thanks for anything anyone can provide. Tina

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-one-user-account-not-accessing-internet.797531/
Relevancy 50.31%

I have an old 80gb HD that has some old files I would really like to get back. I think something went wrong with the boot.ini or something but it will no longer boot. It still has all the files. I am now using it as a slave drive on my current system(XP PRO SP2). The problem is that I need the files off a pw protected user. It is my old loggin so I know the pw but it wont let me into it. I was thinking that if my current loggin was the same I might be able to access it but no such luck.

Any ideas would be appreciated! Thank you.

Relevancy 50.31%

Hi everyone I hope user from Accessing read-only 7 Win account 10 Win this is the correct Accessing Win 10 read-only user account from Win 7 forum Yesterday I ran the Seagate Discwizard from an external boot CD intending to clone my GB Windows system drive to a TB new drive The clone option errored out twice each time it selected the TB as the source drive To my horror it had prepped my system drive as the destination drive without any prompt So gone Accessing Win 10 read-only user account from Win 7 are the partitions and Truecrypt partition that I had on the system drive I combed the web for help on restoring the partitions but haven't had much success until I found the software quot Partition Find and Mount quot It was able to locate three of the smaller partitions the OS the users which I separate into its own earlier for speedy backup and non-important game partitions It was not able to find my data partition the largest of them all nor the smaller Truecrypt partition I was able to mount the three it found as read-only to copy files I reinstalled Windows trial since I don't recall the license for Windows or the old Windows that I had upgraded from I was abl to mount the three partitions as read only by the Partition Find and Mount software On the system partition I am not able to access the users directory It kept refusing me permission although I'm sysadmin on the Windows system I tried to add access using the UAC but was not able to because the partition is mounted as read-only Is there a way to bypass the permissions and read the user account directly I have some important downloads that I did not get a chance to move over to the users partition Thanks a lot Ben

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/396988-accessing-win-10-read-only-user-account-win-7-a.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Hello Since Microsoft has decided accessing user from under prevent How IE9 a tools to to not develop a Windows version of Steady Sate I have been following their documentation Creating a Steady State by Using Microsoft Technologies doc Group Policy Settings for Creating a Steady State doc and Windows SteadyState How to prevent a user from accessing tools under IE9 Reference Spreadsheet xlsx We have a number of Public Access PC on our network With Steady State I was able to prevent these PC from browsing our network or viewing any files or folders on the PC itself I have all the group policy changes suggested above plus a bunch more so far total The Public Access PC is set up with autologin the user localmachine PublicUser with only user permissions How do you prevent a user from accessing tools under Internet Explorer and or View Downloads Example why I want to block this access Under this user you can go open IE then access to Tools by either Alt X or clicking on the gear icon next to the Home and Favorite icon Then open up View Downloads or jump straight to View Downloads by Ctrl J in IE Once in the default download location the user then clicks on options on the bottom left of the screen This brings up another pop up and if the user then clicks on the Browse Button he gets a nice little notice that reads This operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer Please contact your system administrator Now the crazy part When the user clicks OK for the notice they get a new Windows Explorer window In the Navigation pane it allows the user to the view the network We have network discovery and file sharing turned off so when the user clicks on Network they get a nice notice about network discovery and file sharing How to prevent a user from accessing tools under IE9 is turned off If they click on the notice a new pop up comes up with the option Turn on network discovery and file sharing If the user clicks on it they get the pop up called User Account Control So now I have turned of User Account Control Behavior of the elevation prompt for standard users I had already set a policy How to prevent a user from accessing tools under IE9 to keep the user from accessing all drives from my computer But when this Explorer Window the user can open up they had access to their my documents libraries music The real point is the user should not able to see or access anything Once they get the operation has been canceled message it should take them straight back to the web browser not open a Windows Explorer Window Thanks for your assistance Greg

A:How to prevent a user from accessing tools under IE9

No matter what you do, consider setting up LUA+SRP as well.
Software Restriction Policy

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/217289-how-prevent-user-accessing-tools-under-ie9.html
Relevancy 50.31%

How do I prevent someone form accessing my computer. To get the access all they have to do is map a drive to my c$ and they are in.

Relevancy 50.31%

Hey I ve been cleaning up my Issue accessing account old user with PC lately trying to organise everything etc but I ve come across a problemn I had an install of windows on a drive which became unuseable as a primary after some major issues I therefore deleted the instalation of windows and use it as a dump drive instead However one of the user accounts I created was one I protected for viewing editing from any other source I therefore have the problemn that I cannot delete or open said user account I believe I have things in there that I would like to retrieve before I remove the rest however of course I cannot see them thanks to not being able to view the contents via search or anything so I have delayed using KillBox to delete the whole file in the hope that perhapse there is some way Issue with accessing old user account of retrieving the info I was wondering if perhapse there is a way to add the user account to my current windows install or something I still know the password to it but of course its not connected to anything for me to be able to use it Can anyone help please Many thanks in advance JJ nbsp

A:Issue with accessing old user account

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/issue-with-accessing-old-user-account.537503/
Relevancy 50.31%

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate. The external drive is a Seagate, if it matters. I have someone coming to visit, and I set up a user account for them. I noticed that that user account can still access my external drive. Is there a way to change this? I'd prefer for them to not even see it as an existing drive, but keeping him blocked from accessing the drive is the main goal.

Thank you!

A:How do I block access to my external drive for standard user accounts?

Unplug your external drive and put it in a safe place.

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/293891-how-do-i-block-access-my-external-drive-standard-user-accounts.html
Relevancy 50.31%

How can I block user from adding email account such as hotmail, gmail or yahoo on MS Outlook?

A:How can I block user from adding email account on MS Outlook 2007?

vlanti, Are these users admins or limited uses? If they are limited, most likely they can not add email accounts.

But of course what good is outlook if you can't setup email?

Rich

http://www.sevenforums.com/microsoft-office/300272-how-can-i-block-user-adding-email-account-ms-outlook-2007-a.html
Relevancy 50.31%

http googleblog blogspot com hide-sites-to-find-more-of-what-you htmlYou ve block with upgrades search lists user-customized Google probably had the experience where you ve Google upgrades search with user-customized block lists clicked a result and it Google upgrades search with user-customized block lists wasn Google upgrades search with user-customized block lists t quite what you were looking for Many times you ll head right back to Google Perhaps the result just wasn t quite right but sometimes you may dislike the site in general whether it s offensive pornographic or of generally low quality For times like these you ll start seeing a new option to block particular domains from your future search results Now when you click a result and then return to Google you ll find a new link next to quot Cached quot that reads quot Block all example com results quot Once you click the link to quot Block all example com results quot you ll get a confirmation message as well as the option to undo your choice You ll see the link whether or not you re signed in but the domains you block are connected with your Google Account so you ll need to sign in before you can confirm a block We re adding this feature because we believe giving you control over the results you find will provide an even more personalized and enjoyable experience on Google In addition while we re not currently using the domains people block as a signal in ranking we ll look at the data and see whether it would be useful as we continue to evaluate and improve our search results in the future The new feature is rolling out today and tomorrow on google com in English for people using Chrome IE and Firefox and we ll be expanding to new regions languages and browsers soon We hope you find it useful and we ll be listening closely to your suggestions

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/384346/google-upgrades-search-with-user-customized-block-lists/
Relevancy 49.88%

My operating system is Windows with user accounts Only of those accounts is an administrator When using the administrator account I have no problem accessing directories within the other limited profiles e g Limited Account A's Limited all using Accessing Account User Folders Documents or Limited Account B's Pictures However if Accessing all Folders using Limited User Account I am doing some work on either of the limited user accounts and need to access files from another user account it gives me the following message Quote You don't currently have permission to access this folder Click Continue to permanently get access to this folder I know how to edit the folder ownership but that's not what I want to do otherwise the limited account user will always have access to that folder I would like to make it so that when I'm troubleshooting something on the limited accounts I can just enter my administrator account password to gain temporary access to the file or folder I used to be able to do this a Accessing all Folders using Limited User Account long time ago many reformats ago when I had Vista I just remembered it and thought that it would help me out a lot anyone know how to do this

A:Accessing all Folders using Limited User Account

Any help would be appreciated...

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/accessing-all-folders-using-limited-user-account-790722.html
Relevancy 49.88%

I have two pc's - a laptop and a tower - with Windows Ultimate -bit installed on each We use Homegroups to share files wirelessly via router There is an external hard drive attached to the tower On that external drive I accessing shutting warn to down pc ext HD? if How network against user have a folder named quot Movies quot with many sub folders that contain dvd rips I have the laptop connected to the living room TV via HDMI cable where I watch the dvd rips However someone can shut the tower down while the laptop is playing a movie and of course the movie stops playing My questions are - Is there a way to alert the tower user that someone is using the external drive when quot shut down quot is selected so that the tower user knows not to shut down If that is possible is there a way for the How to warn against shutting down pc if network user accessing ext HD? tower to shut down on its own perhaps when the external hard drive goes idle or even perhaps via command by the laptop user Thank you for your time and courtesy

A:How to warn against shutting down pc if network user accessing ext HD?

i have this problem also . my workaround is to copy the movie i wish to watch that evening before the desktop gets closed, of course its a real PITA when it gets closed whilst copying .
interested to see if there is a solution.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/177010-how-warn-against-shutting-down-pc-if-network-user-accessing-ext-hd.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Hello anyone everyone I do need some help Please assist thank you Recently I had trouble with malwarebytes program logging accessing as user/admin in Problem in in my laptop computer running Win And those folks there recently has not Problem in accessing logging in as user/admin been Problem in accessing logging in as user/admin forthcoming which is why I am quite desperate coming here My malwarebytes protection keep randomly turned of now and then irregularly while I keep on re-enabling it In this process of disabling and renabling already taking its toll the point I have reached now is if I do not remove the malwarebytes software completely from my computer I cannot acess to log in to use even though Win has started The most recent bit of suspicion was some days ago a windows command processor dialog popped and requesting permission to give a yes or no prompt by my Scotty patrol program Of course I click a NO But it gives me the creep that my computer is somehow not in good condition I do surf the net a lot visiting s of places However I do exercise a decent bit of protection and alertness to protect myself landing in unwanted places and dubious s w creeping into my computer Please help me Thank you

A:Problem in accessing logging in as user/admin

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer! I am HelpBot: an automated program designed to help the Bleeping Computer Staff better assist you! This message contains very important information, so please read through all of it before doing anything.
We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.
To help Bleeping Computer better assist you please perform the following steps:
=http://www.bleepstatic.com/images/site/icons/steps/step1.gif In order to continue receiving help at BleepingComputer.com, YOU MUST tell me if you still need help or if your issue has already been resolved on your own or through another resource! To tell me this, please click on the following link and follow the instructions there.CLICK THIS LINK >>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/logreply/489298 <<< CLICK THIS LINK
If you no longer need help, then all you needed to do was the previous instructions of telling me so. You can skip the rest of this post. If you do need help please continue with Step 2 below.
*************************************************** If you still need help, I would like you to post a Reply to this topic (click the "Add Reply" button in the lower right hand of this page). In that reply, please include the following information:If you have not done so already, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.A new DDS log. For your convenience, you will find the instructions for generating these logs repeated at the bottom of this post.Please do this even if you have previously posted logs for us.If you were unable to produce the logs originally please try once more.If you are unable to create a log please provide detailed information about your installed Windows Operating System including the Version, Edition and if it is a 32bit or a 64bit system.If you are unsure about any of these characteristics just post what you can and we will guide you.Please tell us if you have your original Windows CD/DVD available. Upon completing the above steps and posting a reply, another staff member will review your topic and do their best to resolve your issues.
Thank you for your patience, and again sorry for the delay.
We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan again: Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links if you no longer have it available. Save it to your desktop.DDS.comDouble click on the DDS icon, allow it to run. A small box will open, with an explanation about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running. Notepad will open with the results. Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results. Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet.
Information on A/V control HERE As I am just a silly little program running on the BleepingComputer.com servers, please do not send me private messages as I do not know how to read and reply to them! Thanks!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/489298/problem-in-accessing-logging-in-as-useradmin/
Relevancy 49.88%

How to deny access of particular user to system using permissions? What permissions do i need to set to restrict user access only to programs installed by administrator?

A:What are minimum set of user permissions for accessing the system?

use groups

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/308787-what-minimum-set-user-permissions-accessing-system.html
Relevancy 49.88%

I have joined a computer (PC1) to a domain control server (2008), and user able to login using their domain user account - although recently I have found out that even though the computer (PC1) do not connect to a server, user still able to access using their domain account.
Is there a way for me to restrict domain account user from accessing the computer (PC1) if they are disconnected from server?
Hope my explanation make sense to you guyz.

Thank in advance

A:Prevening domain user from accessing Computer

Lots to be considered. Joining a domain is intended to give the company admin configuration control of all the company users.
This is normal, expected and even proper for the company to do this.

restrict domain account userClick to expand...

hmm; only the company admin should be able to do this and almost always it is done using some scripts, NOT by loggin into your PC. So - - who is accessing your PC remotely, the admin - - how do you know this occurs?

PCs joined to a domain usually get a replacement for PC Login - - the network form and that creates a link to the domain controller.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/prevening-domain-user-from-accessing-computer.204127/
Relevancy 49.88%

Recently I had to do a system restore Accessing user folders XP accounts Problem due to a virus infection and it restored the computer months back only Problem Accessing XP user accounts folders there was one problem USERS before System Restore Account P Computer owner Account Account X Administrator Account Y limited Account Z Administrator USERS after system restore Account N COMPUTER Problem Accessing XP user accounts folders ADMINISTRATOR After the system restore there was only a Computer Owner Administrator account After weeks of trying to recreate the accounts to no avail i have given up However When I go to C Documents and Settings I can still access all the folders and files of the previous user accounts P Y and Z All except for Account X which was an administrator account and had set its sharing of files and folders to PRIVATE and unable to let other users access When I try to open the documents folder using the Computer owner administrator account it says quot Access to C documents and settings account X Is Denied quot I have tried to change its properties of the folder to share and i have tried booting the computer in safe mode and changing its permissions to no avail It still says quot you do not have the permissions to change this quot Can somebody help me with this Much appreciated nbsp

A:Problem Accessing XP user accounts folders

Sometimes when you reinstall WindowsXP, you can receive an Access Denied error when trying to open a previous user's directory.
To take ownership of that folder again:

1. Log on with an account that has administrator rights
2. Right click on the folder
3. Select Properties
4. Click on the Security tab
5. Click on the Advanced button
6. Click on the Owner tab
7. In the list of Names, click on your name
8. To take ownership, click on Replace owner on subcontainers and objects
9. Click OK and Yes

http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#file_ownership

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problem-accessing-xp-user-accounts-folders.576640/
Relevancy 49.45%

I want to set-up a facility that can check if a user is running scripts to access my website, as I have seen elsewhere. Parts of my site need to have the user running scripts so that it is fully accessible.
Is there a way that if I turn off scripts in IE, then the site detects it and bars my way by forwarding away from the objective page? Could anybody suggest a solution?
Many Thanks

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f56/i-want-to-detect-if-a-user-is-running-scripts-when-accessing-my-website-406588.html
Relevancy 49.45%

Recently I have had a couple of systems displaying the following bizarreness A user logs onto the domain from their workstation They go to access a shared resource and it prompts them for a user name and password If they enter their credentials or just click the x to close the window their user account locks out I created a new user account with the same access even tried Domain Admin and the user account locks out If I network lock resource User accessing accounts out while have them log onto a different workstation then everything works perfectly I go to their machine try to access the shared resource and my account and I get locked out I have removed their computer account from the domain rejoined the domain and same thing I removed them from the domain renamed the computer and then rejoined the domain Still has the same issue I removed the computer from the domain deleted the computer account rejoined the domain with a different name and still the same I believe this is a computer account issue not a user account issue Any have a similar problem User accounts lock out while accessing network resource and if so how did you resolve it without re-rolling their entire computer Thanks nbsp

A:User accounts lock out while accessing network resource

u didn't mention which OS u r using...anywayz try removing everything from your network configuration i.e. network card, TCP/IP, client for Microsoft network etc... remove everything, restart your PC n it will autodetect your network card, reconfigure your IP etc...reset once more n c whether that works. good luck

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-accounts-lock-out-while-accessing-network-resource.253666/
Relevancy 49.45%

Hi I have a computer running Windows Vista Home Premium where I have setup an Accessing services User Account from Solved: administrative administrative account and a user account I have also setup parental control over the user Solved: Accessing administrative services from User Account account Now when logged in the user account I try to open a blocked website or any other blocked system resource for that matter I am presented with UAC dialog asking me to enter my administrative credentials in order to continue Solved: Accessing administrative services from User Account And so I enter the credentials and I am allowed access to that service Now the problem is the user can now Solved: Accessing administrative services from User Account access this service again and again without UAC asking for administrative credentials So how to I lock the service s again back to the way it was so that the user cannot use that blocked service again For example take the following scenario A normal user is not allowed to access the folder contents of Administrators or other users in the Users folder But it asks for admin credentials in order to access it If I do enter the admin credentials then it remains accessible for the normal user How do I lock the normal user account back so that he can no longer access other users folders behind my back And this is happening to not just folders but all of the services which require admin credentials like parental control bypass program installation etc which I dont want the normal user to have access to Is there a way to lock the account again automatically or manually so that the User can no longer access administrative services Regards Robin nbsp

Relevancy 49.45%

Ok So I have a Dell Inspiron with XP Pro w SP and I has always run fine for several years All of a sudden it would not boot up and I got the blue screen of death Tried safe mode realized that the operating system was being stopped at MUP sys Yada yada yada I took the hard drive out hooked it up to my desk top and backed up the files that were previously not backed up First I had to make the Desktop also XP Pro take ownership and control of my laptop folders I also solved the MUP sys problem by copying the XP file from the other computer and pasting it into the correct file on the laptop hard drive PROBLEM SOLVED NEW PROBLEM ARISES Now I put the hard drive back into the laptop The laptop successfully boots up BUT since I ve assigned all the permissions and ownership of my User Settings and Documents to Controls after switching Re-accessing User and Permissions Settings the Desktop the laptop automatically created a new account for me on my laptop since it couldn t take access the old user settings and files Umm Re-accessing User Settings after switching Permissions and Controls ok So I make my laptop take ownership back under the newly created user account maybe a dumb idea So now I have my Administrator account my old user acount Joe and this Re-accessing User Settings after switching Permissions and Controls new annoyingly created account Joe JMAX I can access all my files and stuff from the new account but it doesn t upload any of my personal settings It treats it like a new account quot please take the XP Tour quot yada yada yada Unfortunately when I sign into windows it only gives me option for a user sign-in other than Admin which is quot Joe quot but that will sign me into the Joe JMAX settings So how do I establish that when I sign into quot Joe quot that I want it to access all my original Joe settings so I don t have to spend days reestablishing everything that i have done over the years and not into this new Joe JMAX setting nbsp

A:Re-accessing User Settings after switching Permissions and Controls

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/re-accessing-user-settings-after-switching-permissions-and-controls.687557/
Relevancy 49.45%

I use "Teamveiwer" to access my daughters computer. I can and do this, sometimes, unattended. On occasion I see one of the children, in their teens, viewing inappropriate content. But I don't know which child. They each have their own account that are PW protected. I would like to place, on their screen, something that can't be removed that identifies which user account is being used. This item should ALWAYS be on top of anything else on the screen and cannot be removed except by the administrator, their mother.

A:How to identify current user when remotely accessing computer

Quote: Originally Posted by blockie

I use "Teamveiwer" to access my daughters computer. I can and do this, sometimes, unattended. On occasion I see one of the children, in their teens, viewing inappropriate content. But I don't know which child. They each have their own account that are PW protected. I would like to place, on their screen, something that can't be removed that identifies which user account is being used. This item should ALWAYS be on top of anything else on the screen and cannot be removed except by the administrator, their mother.

Don't know if this is helpful, but if you can access the computer remotely, the command "WHOAMI" will tell you who is currently logged in.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/313254-how-identify-current-user-when-remotely-accessing-computer.html
Relevancy 49.45%

I had a virus hit my vps that kept changing my password preventing me or my vps admin from logging in to do anything My vps admin switched me to a new vps desktop and added my old vps desktop as drive E so I could try and access my files at least I could technically access the old E user admin desktop from my new desktop but the virus had deleted hid virtually all user/profile? Unhide accessing Help original working not of my old desktop files Someone from mwb support kindly guided me thru the process of getting rid of the nasty stuff from that drive using dr web found dubrute and some other crap pretty nasty Since the virus was no longer active and therefor could not Help accessing original user/profile? Unhide not working change my passwords and lock me out anymore my vps admin put me back directly onto my old vps desktop I thought all would be well and I could try and run unhide exe and get my stuff back or find a system restore point and do it that way My problem is that he seems unable to get me directly logged in as the original user profile admin where all my desktop stuff is and from what I was told where I need to directly run unhide exe for it to have any chance for effect I was setup with multiple user names to get access including a new Administrator but my vps admin is unable to help me further to connect to the original admin I hope that makes sense as I find it very confusing myself yet I ve done the best I could to post what I m dealing with in hopes of getting my files back I have run unhide exe and checked out the main thread on it to no avail I do not remember seeing anything called fakehdd but I dont know what other names it could be under besides I dont understand why it would change my pass and lock me out I cant buy their bogus tool if I cant login and see that my stuff is gone Any ideas or if you need further clarification just let me know Thanks

A:Help accessing original user/profile? Unhide not working

Hello and sorry you seemed to have gotten skipped,if you still need help .....We need a deeper look. Please go here....Preparation Guide ,do steps 6-9.Create a DDS log and post it in the new topic explained in step 9 which is here Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs and not in this topic,thanks.If GMER won't run (it may not on a 64 bit system) skip it and move on.Let me know if that went well.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/458687/help-accessing-original-userprofile-unhide-not-working/
Relevancy 49.45%

Requiring user name\password when accessing a machine over the network\router,

I have multiple machines connected by switch\router. What I want is to let the system ask any user for the ?network password? when wanting to access any machine via the network (attached). This message (Enter network passwords) sometimes is available and others is not. how to make it appear all the time?

At which level this property is set?

1. At the level of sharing\security of a folder?
2. At level of network sharing?

How to manage this issue? To share a partition\folder but to allow accessing it with user name and password?

Thank you

Best

Jamal

Best

Jamal

A:Requiring user name\password when accessing a machine over the network

The problem is that Windows remembers these user names and passwords unless you tell Windows not to remember them.

I haven't tested out this Security Policy yet but it does tell Windows not to not allow storage of passwords and credentials so it may have the desired effect you seem to be looking for.

Just go to Control Panel, > Administrative tools,> Local Policies,> Security Options,>Network Access, Do not allow Storage of Passwords and Credentials per the picture below. Enabled should restrict Storage of Credentials.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/309532-requiring-user-name-password-when-accessing-machine-over-network.html
Relevancy 49.02%

My Windows computers are joined to an Azure Active permission? Directory Can Azure I computer Active block user without joining local from an Directory without my permission Can I block local computer from joining an Azure Active Directory without user permission? I did not actively join an Azure AD on the settings accounts access work or school account page or on the System about page When I go to any of these settings pages there is not option to join or leave an Azure AD I also found a provisioning package being applied to the computer at logon Presumably coming from the Azure AD that the computer is linked to How do I disconnect my computers from whatever active directory they are Can I block local computer from joining an Azure Active Directory without user permission? joined Can I block local computer from joining an Azure Active Directory without user permission? to Details The computers are personal home use computers that should not be joined to any organization's active directory Every time a new computer is setup in my house it gets joined to an unknown Azure Active Directory During setup and subsequent updates the computers are automatically joined to some active directory without input from the local user The computers are new and have not had any additional apps added All security settings have been changed to not allow sharing of any type Default user accounts have been disabled The computers have not been used for anything aside from surfing the web for a solution They are out of the box with setup and updates completed Event Log viewer shows remote power shell commands being executed event Device management-enterprise-diagnostics- reports System migration tasks completed event Windows Remote Management reports Activity Transfer Event These events seem to be related to the computers being linked to an active directory somewhere On the settings-account-join a work or school account there is an option to quot Export your management log files quot which exports an XML to Users public Documents MDMDiagnostics The log file shows pages of code being provisioned to the home use computers TCPview shows the home computers trying to or connecting to various computers around the world at various times when a browser is open on the Google search page with no other web pages open I assume all this activity is related to the active directory the home computers have been linked to Whatever is happening with these new computers seems to be a serious security threat related to Windows quot join an azure active directory quot These home computers should not be connecting to or trying to connect to computers in the Ukraine Croatia Canada England Germany etc when no web pages are open aside from a google search screen I have been searching the web for months to figure out how to disable the join an azure active directory feature on new computers I have contacted Microsoft support desk visited a Microsoft store for technical help and contacted McAfee support to no avail All technical assistance ended at level support telling me they do not know how to correct the issue and to take the computers back to the store or contact the computer manufactures to get the setup disks and rebuild the computer After new computers I would prefer to have a different solution If anybody has had a similar situation please provide information on how to disconnect the local computers from the active directory they are attached to and disable or block them from ever being joined to an Azure Active Directory again Thank you

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/439917-can-i-block-local-computer-joining-azure-active-directory-without-user-permission.html
Relevancy 49.02%

in windows 7 i hav created a new user(others) . i am the administrator and hav to restrict access of some hard drives like c:,g: from the user(others)..!! how to do tat and i had to disable the control panel,cmd prompt,run also..!

1) i went to group policies and try to disable the hard drives..!! but in tat i can see onli "restrict A,B and C drives" but i need to restrict drives c: and g:..!! and how to select the other user account..?? the drive restricted in my administrator account itself..!!

2)i hav managed to disable the cmd prompt,ctrl panel but its getting disabling in my admin account but i need to disable in other account..!!

Pls help me out.. im noob in this..!! i searched but cant find a detailed discription..!!

A:How to disable the hardisk drives accessing form other user account ?

1. cmd is automatically disabled by the admin password
2. for data drives you could use encryption.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/132598-how-disable-hardisk-drives-accessing-form-other-user-account.html
Relevancy 48.59%

I can't figure out how to block a user in Windows Live Messenger Version 2011 Build 15.4.3538.513. I'm no novice with computers or the internet, and yet I can't find the option anywhere, not in preferences, or options, or privacy settings, or by right-clicking the user's name on my contact list or in the actual message window, nor a button or option in the window, nor by deleting the contact first from my list and attempting to Ignore/Block them afterwards as Yahoo does it. I tried to Google it too, to no avail. Googling it only gives me what looks to be an outdated answer that there's a Block and Allow list in Privacy options. It's not there anymore, not in this build! Anyone who has this build, the latest one I presume, please let me know the answer. Thanks!

A:I can't figure out how to block a user in Windows Live Messenger Version 2011 Build 15.4.3538.513

they got rid that feature, and my best advice is to appear offline to them.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/448052/i-cant-figure-out-how-to-block-a-user-in-windows-live-messenger-version-2011-build-1543538513/
Relevancy 48.16%

Is there any method, through Windows Firewall or other, to block *.tmp file (or *.tmp.exe as well) to be downloaded ? I noticed that most of attacks comes by these kind of files ... could you help me ? Thank you.

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/383397-block-down-tmp-files.html
Relevancy 47.73%

Keep getting messages from AVG asking if I want to block two files:

Windows Live Toolbar User Elevation Helper
Microsoft SeaPort Search Enhancement Broker

Mostly I have blocked them but also allowed them, as not sure what to do.
Last night I lost my broadband and thought is it because I allowed or blocked
these. Should I instruct to block always? Have tried googling on this but
this makes me think I should block them whilst at the same time offering to
check my computer which I won't do in case they are dodgy! Help. Many thanks Mavis

Relevancy 47.73%

Hi. I have been having files entered in the "Favorites"- "history" in IE8. I try to open the files and get a message stating "Path not found. Try again." I have been deleting them, but would prefer to block them as I don't know what they are, where they came from or if they are malware, etc. The files start out with file:///C:/Documents%2520andsettings/........ and they all vary from that point.
Any help,info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance,
griffrn1

A:How to block unwanted files.

Can you provide the full path to those files?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/356740/how-to-block-unwanted-files/
Relevancy 47.73%

Hello All,

I have a network of more than 200 users and I want to Block Downloading in ISA server I`m already blocking FTP, Can anyone tell me how can I don that Coz I think there`s a way of blocking some files types like exe,mpeg,mp3 but I don`t know how!

Waiting for Your Reply
Best regards

A:How to block Downloading files on ISA

Please still didn`t get any help

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-block-downloading-files-on-isa.396480/
Relevancy 47.73%

Hi I was wondering how i can block people on my computer from reciving files through msn messenger?
I know if i use the windows firewall it blocks uploads but i cannot figure out how to stop downloads to my computer throught msn messneger or windows messenger

Relevancy 47.73%

Hi
i was reading a book on regular expressions in chm format and noticed that some characters are replaced by square block.
i have attached an image of the page.

i think it may be because of encoding of charset, but i do not know how and where i can change it.
please help.

thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/block-of-characters-in-chm-files.830906/
Relevancy 47.73%

Hi there I .block extension files on am trying to diagnose and troubleshoot my neighbor's computer which has been infected with the problem where the jpgs are now postfixed with the block extension essentially the same problem as described here unable to open jpg files .block extension on files I tried to follow the thread but I could not find the two corresponding files that might allow me the decrypt the blocked files I believe the neighbor has removed the malware spyware already and now he just wants to be able to recover all those files I do have a Windows install disc Any help feedback would be much appreciated DDS .block extension on files txt content DDS Ver - - - NTFS x Internet Explorer BrowserJavaVersion Run by Milton at on - - Running Processes C Windows system wininit exe C Windows system lsm exe C Windows system SLsvc exe C Windows system WLANExt exe C Windows System spoolsv exe C Windows system Dwm exe C Windows system taskeng exe C Program Files Common Files Adobe ARM armsvc exe C Windows system taskeng exe C Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support AppleMobileDeviceService exe C Windows Explorer EXE C Program Files Bonjour mDNSResponder exe C Program Files Windows Defender MSASCui exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin EvtEng exe C Program Files Common Files Motive McciCMService exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin RegSrvc exe C Program Files Common Files Roxio Shared SharedCOM RoxWatch exe C Program Files Microsoft Search Enhancement Pack SeaPort SeaPort exe C Program Files TELUS TELUS security advisor ServicepointService exe C Windows system STacSV exe C Windows system SearchIndexer exe C Windows system DRIVERS xaudio exe C Program Files Common Files Roxio Shared SharedCOM RoxMediaDB exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe C Windows OEM Mon exe C Program Files Sigmatel C-Major Audio WDM sttray exe C Windows System rundll exe C Windows System rundll exe C Program Files Dell Dell Webcam Manager DellWMgr exe C Program Files Common Files Roxio Shared SharedCOM RoxWatchTray exe C Program Files Dell MediaDirect PCMService exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe C Program Files ScanSoft PaperPort pptd nt exe C Program Files Brother Brmfcmon BrMfcWnd exe C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Acrobat acrotray exe C Program Files Common Files Adobe ARM AdobeARM exe C Program Files TELUS TELUS Support Centre bin McciTrayApp exe C Program Files TELUS TELUS security advisor Tsa exe C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe C Program Files Common Files Java Java Update jusched exe C Program Files Windows Sidebar sidebar exe C Program Files Google GoogleToolbarNotifier GoogleToolbarNotifier exe C Program Files WIDCOMM Bluetooth Software BTTray exe C Program Files Digital Line Detect DLG exe C Program Files PIXELA ImageMixer SE Ver CameraMonitor exe C Program Files Dell QuickSet quickset exe C Program Files Brother ControlCenter brccMCtl exe C Windows System rundll exe C Windows system wbem wmiprvse exe c Program Files WIDCOMM Bluetooth Software BtStackServer exe C Program Files Brother Brmfcmon BrMfcmon exe C Program Files iPod bin iPodService exe C Program Files Common Files Roxio Shared SharedCOM CPSHelpRunner exe C Program Files Common Files Java Java Update jucheck exe C Windows system Dwm exe C Windows Explorer EXE C Program Files Windows Defender MSASCui exe C Windows system taskeng exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe C Windows OEM Mon exe C Program Files Sigmatel C-Major Audio WDM sttray exe C Windows System rundll exe C Windows System rundll exe C Program Files Common Files InstallShield UpdateService issch exe C Program Files Common Files Roxio Shared SharedCOM RoxWatchTray exe C Program Files Dell MediaDirect PCMService exe C Program Files ScanSoft PaperPort pptd nt exe C Program Files Brother Brmfcmon BrMfcWnd exe C Windows System rundll exe C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Acrobat acrotray exe C Program Files TELUS TELUS Support Centre bin McciTrayApp exe C Program Fil... Read more

A:.block extension on files

Hello and Welcome to TSF.

If you haven't already, please Subscribe to this Thread to get immediate notification of replies as soon as they are posted. To do this click Thread Tools, then click Subscribe to this Thread. Make sure it is set to Instant notification by email, then click Add Subscription.

Please note that the forum is very busy and if I don't hear from you within three days this thread will be closed.

------------------------------------------------------

Please go to: VirusTotalClick the Choose File button.
Please copy/paste the following bolded text into the 'File name:' box:

c:\users\milton\appdata\roaming\ygOEw.exe

Click Open then click the Scan it! button just below.
This will scan the file. Please be patient.
If you get a message saying File already analyzed: click Reanalyse
Once scanned, copy and paste the URL from your browser address bar in your next reply.
------------------------------------------------------

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f50/block-extension-on-files-712521.html
Relevancy 46.87%

I have installed a Peer to Peer program, is there any to password protect this program so that I am the only on that can see or use it?

Thank You

A:Password Block A Program & Files

I think there are a few bits of software that might do what you're asking, but I don't know of any off hand.

If you use different user accounts on that computer, you can use XPs permissions system to deny access to the programs folder to other accounts. If your account is password protected, that will restrict access to the program. It won't help if you leave the computer logged on.

Another alternative would be to use TrueCrypt or a similar piece of software to install the program to an encrypted are, which you can then unlock with a password.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/167958/password-block-a-program-files/
Relevancy 46.87%

after recovering from a malware attack all my jpg files now show as jpg block files and will not open when i attempt to open on any computer the file displays unknown file format even after i rename them to jpg files again i have tries several viewers and jpg recover software without success sometimes i get a red x in the center of the view any suggestions would be appreciated xp sp i just did a virues files has .block to renamed frest rebuild of pc so new jpg files are just fine thanks budd new description I have just removed an infection from a computer without much virues has renamed files to .block of an issue but the infection has left behind a big problem It has renamed almost all of the common such as jpg doc xls js php docx ppt etc to filename jpg block filename doc block filename xls block etc The situation has gotten worse I have started renaming virues has renamed files to .block the files to remove the quot block quot and none of the files work with their original extensions anyone with ideas how to recover the files thanks Re unable to open jpg files thanks i did not think to do that as i had rebuilt pc here are the results you requested DDS Ver - - - NTFS x Internet Explorer BrowserJavaVersion Run by John at on - - Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition GMT - AV Microsoft Security Essentials Enabled Updated EDB FA - B - AFA- C D- CCA Running Processes c Program Files Microsoft Security Client MsMpEng exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files SUPERAntiSpyware SASCORE EXE C Program Files Intel IDU awServ exe C Program Files Diskeeper Corporation Diskeeper DkService exe C Program Files Java jre bin jqs exe C Program Files LogMeIn x LMIGuardianSvc exe C Program Files LogMeIn x RaMaint exe C Program Files LogMeIn x LogMeIn exe C WINDOWS system nvsvc exe C Program Files NVIDIA Corporation NVIDIA Update Core daemonu exe C Program Files Macrium Reflect ReflectService exe C WINDOWS System alg exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS RTHDCPL EXE C Program Files Intel IDU iptray exe C Program Files Microsoft Security Client msseces exe C WINDOWS system RunDLL exe C Program Files DivX DivX Update DivXUpdate exe C Program Files Common Files Java Java Update jusched exe C Program Files LogMeIn x LogMeInSystray exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C WINDOWS system wbem wmiprvse exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe -k netsvcs C WINDOWS system svchost exe -k NetworkService C WINDOWS system svchost exe -k LocalService C WINDOWS system svchost exe -k LocalService Pseudo HJT Report uStart Page hxxp www google com BHO Adobe PDF Link Helper DF C-E AD- -A -FA C EBDC - c program files common files adobe acrobat activex AcroIEHelperShim dll BHO DivX Plus Web Player HTML lt video gt E D- - FD- C - A F - c program files divx divx plus web player ie divxhtml DivXHTML dll BHO Spybot-S amp D IE Protection - F - D - - D F - c program files spybot - search amp destroy SDHelper dll BHO Java tm Plug-In SSV Helper BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - c program files java jre bin ssv dll BHO Java tm Plug-In SSV Helper DBC -A - b-BC - C C C A - c program files java jre bin jp ssv dll uRun ctfmon exe c windows system ctfmon exe mRun RTHDCPL RTHDCPL EXE mRun Alcmtr ALCMTR EXE mRun DiskeeperSystray quot c program files diskeeper corporation diskeeper DkIcon exe quot mRun ipTray exe quot c program files intel idu iptray exe quot mRun Adobe ARM quot c program files common files adobe arm AdobeARM exe quot mRun MSC quot c program files microsoft security client msseces exe quot -hide -runkey mRun NvCplDaemon RUNDLL EXE c windows system NvCpl dll NvStartup mRun NvMediaCenter RunDLL exe NvMCTray dll NvTaskbarInit -login mRun nwiz c program files nvidia corporation nview nwiz exe installquiet mRun DivXUpdate quot c program files divx divx update D... Read more

A:virues has renamed files to .block

Malware is handled in the Malware forum, Follow the instructions here> NEW INSTRUCTIONS - Read This Before Posting For Malware Removal Help - Tech Support Forum

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/virues-has-renamed-files-to-block-670966.html
Relevancy 46.87%

I haven t accepted cookies for quite sometime now and find that this is surprisingly easy to administrate It s hardly any trouble at all Blocking nearly all cookies and accepting just a few regulars by adding them quot manually quot resulted in a significant reduction of malware infections I Files? Temporary Internet Block often search images for days and days and days - a bullet proof way to get loads of malware into your PC And Block Temporary Internet Files? my security programs are not bad at all All this picture searching also results in a slow PC Tons of material ends up in my cached folder So I was wondering can I block all access to Temporary Internet Files the same way I blocked all the cookies Block Temporary Internet Files? I really don t need a copy of each and every site I go to I Block Temporary Internet Files? sometimes feel that I store a copy of half the Internet in my cache I sometimes visit almost a sites a day - sites that I don t intend to visit again And images have big file sizes more often that not They sit in my cache even though I have no use for them I just visited the site Also it is a pain in the behind when you land on a big site Some blogs have hundreds of posts on one long page IE takes forever to download such a big blog to Temporary Internet Files It would make life easier if I didn t have to drag all this useless material around And the malware hidden in it So how can I disable IE s cache function in XP Home Is there a way

A:Block Temporary Internet Files?

Check out SandboxieIt's free and does all that stuff automatically. When you install it can create a button to run the default browser "sandboxed" meaning that anything that writes to the hard drive is redirected to a folder inside the sandbox. You can set options so that if you download something you want to keep you can either manually copy it out of the sandbox or be prompted for certain folders(some features may be in the paid version but the free version does all you need for system protection.)When you quit all programs that are running sandboxed you can set it to automatically delete everything in the sandbox. This way you can set it to accept all cookies if you want. I have my browsers (Firefox and Opera) set to accept cookies but delete them when I close the browser.For what you are doing Sandboxie would make things a lot easier.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/192134/block-temporary-internet-files/
Relevancy 46.87%

Hi
My laptop is infected with some kind of virus, It has warranty so those people cleared off the infection.
Now I have left with files with .block extension I could not access any of my files..
Please help..
Thanks in advance for viewing my problem.

Relevancy 46.87%

I am trying to block my personal files on my computer from the guest account and I was wondering how I do this?

A:Block Certain Files/Folders from other Users?

Is this the default guest account or one that you created specifically for guests?

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/32544-block-certain-files-folders-other-users.html
Relevancy 46.87%

what programs are there so certain people are blocked from deleting files. like you need a password and such. thanks.

Relevancy 46.87%

I have just removed an infection from a computer without much of an issue but the infection has left behind a big problem It has renamed almost all of the common file types such as jpg doc xls js php docx ppt etc to filename jpg block filename doc block filename xls block etc I have searched the computer and there are over files that have been altered I extension to .block added files have downloaded a free program called Extension Renamer which makes the process faster than renaming them one by one but it still will take .block extension added to files quite a while to go through all of the different file types I am wondering if there is .block extension added to files a script or program that would be useful to remove .block extension added to files the quot block quot from all of these files with a more automated or hand free approach Update The situation has gotten worse I have started renaming the files to remove the quot block quot and none of the files work with their original extensions Update The infection that caused this problem is referred to here http www bleepingcomputer com forums topic html

A:.block extension added to files

This looks like a new variant.I dont think its possible to decrypt the files

You can post your issue here

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic446111.html/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/469801/block-extension-added-to-files/
Relevancy 46.87%

recently i had ransomware on my computer.
I succesfully removed the software, but now all my .jpg, .doc, pdf,.ptt and .txt files have the extention .block
renaming them doesn't help. according other blogs, they are encrypted.
the only jpg file working on my computer is the file from the virus:bg2.jpg (file attached)
the virus files where called jenbh.exe end ycpo.exe
can anyone help me decripting my files?

A:files converted to .block by ransomware

==========

I notice that you have downloaded & installed te94decrypt.exe by DrWeb

Let's try using that method to get your files back to normal:

Press and hold the Windows key and then press the letter R on your keyboard.
This opens the Run dialog box.
Copy and paste the below text inside the text-field:?C:\te94decrypt.exe -k 186

Now press ENTER
The tool should open and start scanning your system to repair the .BLOCK files to their original decrypted state.

Note: Some users report that C:\te94decrypt.exe -k 85 worked for them. So try that one incase the first command was not successful.

tried the above (which i read from another item) but both commands reports that 0 files where decrypted

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/478623/files-converted-to-block-by-ransomware/
Relevancy 46.87%

My in-laws contracted a ransomware that encrypted their docs, jpgs, etc, and renamed them with a .block extension. I have successfully removed all the malware, but the problem remains of converting the files back to their original form.

Is there a way to decrypt the .block files?

I have attached the warning.txt that comes with the virus, and a single jpg file that was encrypted/converted to the .block.

Thanks

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/ransomware-with-encrypted-block-files-678445.html
Relevancy 46.87%

Hello,

Hopefully you can help me out. I have been looking at some of the topics in here on this and I hope that it is ok to start a new topic.

My one laptop was infected with the FBI warning virus and we weren't able to do a lot with the machine. I was able to restore the computer to an earlier point in time and now the warning message is not coming back up. Now, all the office files (most of which I don't need since it is an old computer) have an extension of .block on them. I am trying to recover a 100 page story that my daughter has been working on on this laptop. Would love some help in recovering this information so that I can save this file on the new laptop and let her continue with her work.

A:Recover Files with .Block as the extension

Greetings B_Eckenrode and to BleepingComputer's Virus/Trojan/Spyware/Malware Removal forum.My name is Oh My! and I am here to help you! Now that we are "friends" please call me Gary. If you would allow me to call you by your first name I would prefer to do that. At the outset I want to let you know that most of the time in these types of situations we are unable to decrypt the files. Having said that, if you wish for me to review the state of your computer please read and do the following for me.Thank you for your patience. I know it has been a long wait.===================================================Ground Rules:First, I would like to inform you that most of us here at Bleeping Computer offer our expert assistance out of the goodness of our hearts. Please try to match our commitment to you with your patience toward us. If this was easy we would never have met. Please do not run any tools or take any steps other than those I will provide for you while we work on your computer together. I need to be certain about the state of your computer in order to provide appropriate and effective steps for you to take. Most often "well intentioned" (and usually panic driven!) independent efforts can make things much worse for both of us. If at any point you would prefer to take your own steps please let me know, I will not be offended. I would be happy to focus on the many others who are waiting in line for assistance. Please perform all steps in the order they are listed in each set of instructions. Some steps are a bit complicated. If things are not clear, be sure to stop and let me know. We need to work on this together with confidence.Please copy and paste all logs into your post unless directed otherwise. Please do not re-run any programs I suggest. If you encounter problems simply stop and tell me about it.
When you post your reply, do not use the button but use the button instead.
In the upper right hand corner of the topic you will see the button. Click on this then choose Immediate E-Mail notification and then Proceed and you will be sent an email once I have posted a response.
If you do not reply to your topic after 5 days we assume it has been abandoned and I will close it.When your computer is clean I will alert you of such. I will also provide for you detailed information about how you can combat future infections.I would like to remind you to make no further changes to your computer unless I direct you to do so.===================================================Helping me Help YouNow that I am assisting you, you can expect that I will be very responsive to your situation. If you are able, I would request you check this thread at least once per day so that we can try to resolve your issues effectively and efficiently. If you are going to be delayed please be considerate and post that information so that I know you are still with me. Unfortunately, there are many people waiting to be assisted and not enough of us at BleepingComputer to go around. I appreciate your understanding and diligence.===================================================Additional InformationIf you have since resolved the original problem you were having, I would appreciate you letting me know. If you are unable to create a log because your computer cannot start up successfully please provide detailed information about your installed Windows Operating System including the Version, Edition and if it is a 32bit or a 64bit system.
If you are unsure about any of these characteristics just post what you can and I will guide you.Explain as best you can what happens with your computer, i.e. it beeps three times, the the black screen starts then goes blank, etc Please tell me if you have your original Windows CD/DVD available.If you have not done so, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.Upon completing the steps belo... Read more

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/481320/recover-files-with-block-as-the-extension/
Relevancy 46.87%

DDS Ver - - - NTFS AMD Internet Explorer Run by Rasor CQ at on - - Microsoft Windows Home Premium GMT - AV McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware Enabled Updated ADA C - F - - A- B E SP McAfee Anti-Virus Recover with BLOCK files extension and Anti-Spyware Enabled Updated C C - - - FA- E F F SP Windows Defender Disabled Outdated D Recover files with BLOCK extension DDC A- F- fae- E -DA Recover files with BLOCK extension C ACF FW McAfee Firewall Enabled DA E - - D - - AD FE Running Processes C Windows system lsm exe C Windows system svchost exe -k DcomLaunch C Windows system svchost exe -k RPCSS C Windows system atiesrxx exe C Windows System svchost exe -k LocalServiceNetworkRestricted C Windows System svchost exe -k LocalSystemNetworkRestricted C Windows system svchost exe -k netsvcs C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalService C Windows system atieclxx exe C Windows system svchost exe -k NetworkService C Windows System spoolsv exe C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalServiceNoNetwork C Program Files Realtek Audio HDA AERTSr exe C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE Fuel Fuel Service exe C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalServiceAndNoImpersonation C Program Files Recover files with BLOCK extension Hewlett-Packard HP Client Services HPClientServices exe C Program Files x Hewlett-Packard Shared HPDrvMntSvc exe C Program Files x Hewlett-Packard HP Quick Launch HPWMISVC exe C Program Files x Realtek Realtek PCIE Card Reader RIconMan exe C Program Files Common Files McAfee McSvcHost McSvHost exe C Windows system mfevtps exe C Windows system rundll exe C Windows system rundll exe C Program Files x Roxio RoxioNow Player RNowSvc exe C Windows SysWOW rundll exe C Program Files x Microsoft Application Virtualization Client sftvsa exe C Windows system svchost exe -k imgsvc C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WLIDSVC EXE C Windows system taskhost exe C Program Files Common Files McAfee SystemCore mcshield exe C Windows system Dwm exe C Program Files Common Files McAfee SystemCore mfefire exe C Windows Explorer EXE C Program Files x Microsoft Application Virtualization Client sftlist exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WLIDSvcM exe C Program Files Realtek Audio HDA RtkNGUI exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe C Program Files Microsoft IntelliPoint ipoint exe C Users Rasor CQ AppData Roaming Dropbox bin Dropbox exe C Program Files Microsoft IntelliPoint dpupdchk exe C Windows system wbem wmiprvse exe C Program Files x Hewlett-Packard HP QuickWeb hpqwutils exe C Program Files x Common Files Adobe ARM AdobeARM exe C Program Files x Hewlett-Packard HP On Screen Display HPOSD exe C Program Files x Common Files Java Java Update jusched exe C Program Files x Hewlett-Packard HP Quick Launch HPMSGSVC exe C Program Files McAfee com Agent mcagent exe C Program Files x Common Files Microsoft Shared Virtualization Handler CVHSVC EXE C Windows system taskeng exe C Program Files x Hewlett-Packard Shared hpqWmiEx exe C Program Files x CyberLink YouCam YCMMirage exe C Windows system svchost exe -k NetworkServiceNetworkRestricted C Windows system SearchIndexer exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPHelper exe C Program Files Windows Media Player wmpnetwk exe C Windows System svchost exe -k LocalServicePeerNet C Program Files x ATI Technologies ATI ACE Core-Static MOM exe C Program Files x ATI Technologies ATI ACE Core-Static CCC exe C Program Files x Hewlett-Packard HP Support Framework hpsa service exe C Windows Microsoft Net Framework v WPF PresentationFontCache exe C Program Files x Microsoft BingBar SeaPort exe C Windows system taskhost exe C Program Files McAfee VirusScan mcods exe C Program Files x Internet Explorer IELowutil exe C Windows system wbem wmiprvse exe C Windows System cscript exe Pseudo HJT Report mWinlogon Userinit userinit exe BHO Adobe PDF Link Helper DF C-E AD- -A -FA C EBDC - C Program Files x Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelperShim dll BHO Java tm Plug-In SS... Read more

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/recover-files-with-block-extension-681531.html
Relevancy 46.87%

I'm running Win About the virus - at first each a new user, the remove copy I a new to if virus the files I user? Can all create time I started the computer I saw an Internet Security fake scan and it disabled all exe Now Can I remove a virus if I create a new user, copy all the files to the new user? I see a US Courts MoneyPak screen Safe Mode won't start System restore doesn't work either because the restore points are too recent I googled how to remove the virus but most require dowloading and installing programs - which I don't want to do I would prefer to manually delete the virus files I found a couple videos that edit the registry but I can't find the infected files in my reg Which got me to thinking Using the command prompt I created a new user which creates a new clean reg No problems with the computer logged in as the new user All the programs work ok and I've copied all the files from the infected user to the new user If I now delete the infected user does that also delete the Can I remove a virus if I create a new user, copy all the files to the new user? registry for that user and the virus along with it assuming the virus is in the registry

A:Can I remove a virus if I create a new user, copy all the files to the new user?

Hello? Anyone?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/501427/can-i-remove-a-virus-if-i-create-a-new-user-copy-all-the-files-to-the-new-user/
Relevancy 46.44%

I upgraded my whole system a few weeks ago, and now I can't get into my old "My Documents" folder. Access Denied. How do I access it now or acquire it under my new account?

BTW, there's no "advanced" button in the sharing tab of "properties" for this folder

thanks.

Relevancy 46.44%

Hi i am getting a new hard drive and am just wondering if i can access my files that were saved - music, pictures, documents etc whilst there is no hard drive in the computer?

sorry im a novice!

A:Accessing files with no hd

Hi -

After new HDD is in and Windows is installed, you can connect the old drive to a USB/ SATA adapter like these -

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...7BBTkwCjCECjCE

One plug goes to the old HDD; the other - the USB - plugs into USB port. If drive is OK, Windows should recognize it, assign it a drive letter - then you can copy files to your new HDD - Pics, Music, Docs, etc...

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/accessing-files-with-no-hd-512779.html
Relevancy 46.44%

Hi,

Anyone know if it's possible to access files in a partition with no recognizable file system? I had a computer meltdown and took it in to a shop but they weren't recovery experts and though they told me they could do it... they couldn't. I got it back with one drive and instead of the unpartitioned space I'd sent it away with I now had an extended dos partition. I couldn't access that space and since my only other option is format I thought I'd instead do a little tinkering and created a logical partition. I can now see the drive at least but it's telling me it has no recognizable file system. I know those files are there as it's telling me it's 60% in use I just need to know if there's any way I can retrieve them or should I just give up and reformat. Thanks.

Cat

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/accessing-files-20015.html
Relevancy 46.44%

emachines t2984 windows xp
when i try to access many of my files i get an error message "access is denied". i am the administrator on the computer. i tried to take ownership of the files; however, when i right click the files there is no security tab. i don't know how to fix this problem. i really need these files. help is greatly appreciated. thankyou

Relevancy 46.44%

hii last week only vevo need files accessing I help videos on youtube will stay on the loading black screen forever and it just wont play i know that if you clear your browsing history and cache it should work and it did work for a little but it doesnt seem to work anymore however i found a solution but i dont know how to do those steps here is the post i saw I need help accessing files that is suppose to fix the problem Level Problem Vevo videos just won t load at all - black screen I need help accessing files infinitely loading Diagnosis Vevo videos play an ad in front of them If you block the ad the video will hang infinitely Solution Disable any ad-blocking programs If you don t have an ad-blocking program check to see if you ve blocked ad companies in your HOSTS file windows system drivers etc HOSTS For me the HOSTS file turned out to be the culprit I ve been using the MSVP hosts file for some while without this problem but now apparently Vevo is using advertisers who are on the MSVP block list Replies - of ccbeam Level What domain is being blocked tho I get my hosts file from mvs and there are thousands in it I would like to keep the majority blocked while unblocking vevo of people found this answer helpful Did you Sign I need help accessing files in to vote Report abuse Somhairle Level I despise anything VEVO money grabbing mofos they have SO many ads per video play it s just crazy money money money for them and wasting the users time to load all the crap before even seeing second of a video look for these googleads g doubleclick net pagead-dclk l google com pagead googlesyndication com Google AdWords adm fwmrm net and place a hash space quot quot in front so they look like this googleads g doubleclick net pagead-dclk l google com pagead googlesyndication com Google AdWords adm fwmrm net I dont know how to access windows system drivers etc HOSTS and where to find these googleads g doubleclick net pagead-dclk l google com pagead googlesyndication com Google AdWords adm fwmrm net

A:I need help accessing files

Hello wenFD,You could download HostsXpert 4.4 which is a nice portable program to backup, restore, and edit your host file. Unzip the download and double click on HostXpert.exe to start the program.In the right pane you will see your current host file.First, backup your current host fileClick "Make Writable" in the upper left pane.Click "Backup/Restore" then "Create Backup." Click "OK" to confirmation. The backup was created in the folder where HostXpert resides should you need to restore it.Now to edit your host fileArrow down the right pane and find the entrys you wish to delete.Right mouse click on the entry and make your selection.When you have finished editing, click "Make Read Only?" from the top left pane before exiting.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/415394/i-need-help-accessing-files/
Relevancy 46.44%

a local hrd ware service man installed a win xp2 in the same drive wre i had axp2 already as its a laptop it has no partitionb init...in order not loosing the data he done like tat after correption of my old xp2....i donkno wat he done...he locked ma old files and folders and installed a new xp in the same drive now im able work on mew xp and not able to access ma old files..it is showin in blue letter...wen im clickin on any of ma old folder...its tellin access denined....im also not able to copy those to any media....plz help me in recoverin those datas....its very very important for me......

A:HELP In ACCESSING FILES IN XP

Log in with the local Administrator account. You should then be able to access all of the files and either copy them to a location that your usual account can access, or alter the local permissions to allow access for all users (right click and check the Sharing/Security permissions).

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/help-in-accessing-files-in-xp-251440.html
Relevancy 46.44%

Hello I totally messed up my computer Windows would not boot up I tried to restore to a useable point to no avail So I used Accessing Files the disc that came with the pc to try and put back the file that was missing but it did a complete re-install of windows which was fine because now it was Accessing Files up an running my problem is that I can access my old documents from my old account becasue it put them in documents and settings but my boyfriend had his own windows accoun with a password and he wasn t sharing his documents with mine becasue there were files that he and I didn t want our kids seeing Now I can t access these files to either delete or back them up because everytime I try to windows keeps saying ACCESS DENIED Is there anyway I can access them even if it s only to delete them I have Windows XP media centre edition

A:Accessing Files

Try this, it worked for me...I got it from someone else on this site.http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421/en-us

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/89926/accessing-files/
Relevancy 46.44%

I am new to the forum My old Dell motherboard fried an Inspiron Bought another new used Inspiron off of Ebay with much better components than what I had installed my old Hdd and files accessing help DVD drive into the new machine when it arrived Everything works fine just one big problem After years of using XP this new computer came with Windows RC loaded I am enjoying the new OS but am still very much in the learning phase I can see my old Hdd all the files etc are there but I cannot open anything When I try I am told I do not have permission to access the files I click on a folder or file and it says quot You don't currently have permission to access this folder quot click continue to get access to this folder gt continue gt help accessing files quot You have been denied permission to access to this folder quot to gain access you will need to use the security tab gt security tab link Screen opens to Security tab gt continue opens new screen quot Advanced Security Settings for quot Owner There is dialog there about taking ownership In the quot Current Owner quot box it says quot unable to display current owner quot In the quot Change Owner to quot box there are choices Administrators user-PC Administrators AND Sharie user-PC user I highlight quot Sharie quot gt apply A new dialog box says I have taken ownership and must close file before being able to access change permissions Close it then reopen and it lets me see the files within the folder but when I click on the Word file I get another error quot Word cannot open the document user does not have access privileges quot So how do I get access to all those files on the old Hdd The old drive is running XP and my desktop was password protected Sorry if I have left out any valuable information Let me know if you need something else THank in advance for your help SHarie

A:help accessing files

Oh...one more thing....I keep getting a pop up that says "Activate Windows" As stated, I am running Windows 7 RC (loaded by previous owner). Do I activate with the Vista Key that is on the Cd or is there a specific Windows 7 key and if so, where do I find it?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/help-accessing-files-394994.html
Relevancy 46.44%

Greetings I am not sure whether this is a Hardware or a Software XP problem My desktop took a nose dive and rather than spending the money to fix it I bought a new system I had bought an external HD housig so that i could take the files off of my old HD Everything seems to be working fine but one problem It seems that my quot My documents quot file is copy protected and Accessing files i can t seem to access anything from it I keep getting the error of quot E Accessing files documents and settings XXXXX is not accessable Access denied quot I was wondering if there is any way around this problem It is a Generic HD encolsure and the HD itself is a Western Digital WD enhanced IDE gig Drive which i currently have the jumper pins set to Single or Master quot It was the master drive on a system that was running Windows XP Pro and the files I am trying to access are my old My Document files in which i was the sole admin on the computer My Current system is running Windows XP home Any solutions would be greatly apreciated Thank you in advance nbsp

A:Accessing files

Try this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/accessing-files.654638/