Windows Support Forum

Laptop sleep doesn't actually sleep, fan still on.

Q: Laptop sleep doesn't actually sleep, fan still on.

The problem is that when I close the lid on my laptop, the screen goes black, and that's it. The fan is still running, all the lights are on. The thing is, when I turn off wifi, the laptop sleeps fine, with the power light turning orange and pulsating, and the fan off.

Earlier I found a page with the so called fix for this which was to change the advanced power option "Prevent idling to sleep" in "When sharing files" to "Allow computer to sleep." This fixed my problem, but it came back after a while, probably due to going off and on wifi, and plugging and unplugging.

I need to get the laptop to sleep properly even when on wifi and sharing media.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Laptop sleep doesn't actually sleep, fan still on.

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Laptop sleep doesn't actually sleep, fan still on.

Make sure that your settings, when closing the lid, are set to Hibernate. This will be a true sleep mode.
Relevancy 91.16%

For some reason, my 'sleep' has stopped working - either from the sleep button, or on the Start button option.
Now it just goes to the user login screen.
Has always worked perefctly until today.
Weird. Any ideas?

A:Sleep doesn't sleep anymore - just goes to login screen

You might want to try the same tutorial as last time Power Options and Sleep Mode Problems - Vista Forums

Relevancy 89.44%

I like to put my computer on sleep so I can just come back to where I left it but the past few days when I put it on sleep the screen would just go black like it was asleep but the computer was still on and running like I didn't put it in sleep Then when In Sleep Mode When Sleep Computer Doesn't I move the mouse to come out of sleep it says quot locking computer quot and goes to my password screen which is what it should do before going to sleep I don't think its in the power settings because I've checked there and played around with the settings I'm not technically challenged so I don't think it's something that simple lol Also my touchpad scroll feature does not work and has not Computer Doesn't Sleep When In Sleep Mode worked for quite some time It comes back when I turn the computer off and on again but I only do that a Computer Doesn't Sleep When In Sleep Mode few times a week I've tried reinstalling the touchpad firmware so that isn't the problem I have a Toshiba Satellite A

A:Computer Doesn't Sleep When In Sleep Mode

Back when I had that problem with my Toshibia Satellite, I had to turn off the Awake on LAN in the bios, because when the network is present it will want to wake up.. Just something to try, im sure other people will have other ideas, and hope one of them will do the trick :)
Relevancy 86.86%

Hello people !

As the title suggests, I'm having difficulties bringing up to life my laptop. I know for sure its in sleep mode, as I accidently pressed the "hibernate" option from the Start-shutdown menu of Windows 7.

In the previous times this happened, unplugging and then inserting the power supply cable fixed the issue.
But now, nothing works. Not the unplugging, not the constant pressing on the power button. Nothing.

I've read other threads that suggest updating the display driver, disabling the "hibernate" option and other solutions that must have the PC ONLINE (obviously this isn't my case).

A:LG LS55 laptop with Win 7 doesn't come up from sleep

Welcome to the forum dildror. I'm assuming the laptop will not wake at all now? Here are a few things to try.

Remove all batteries, wait a few minutes, and then replace the batteries.

Try pressing and holding the PC?s power button for five seconds or more while it is plugged in to AC.

You said you accidentally pressed the Hibernate key? Try pressing or holding that key again, it may reset it.

A Guy
Relevancy 86.86%

Hi All
This is my first time on any forum so forgive me if I have gone to the wrong place. I have had the common problem of broken hinges on my L50 B. I have replaced both hinges and to all intent and purpose ever thing went well, i.e. the lid opens and closes great now. I have however done something wrong, the laptop now doesn't sleep when I close the lid. I have checked all the power settings and the advanced settings and they are set to sleep when lid is closed. Has anyone any idea what I may have done wrong. Can anyone tell me what the motherboard connection of the lid sensor switch looks like? Any help gratefully received.
Relevancy 86.86%

About a week ago I noticed my laptop stopped going into sleep mode when I closed the lid. It just stays on. I checked the power settings, and they are set to sleep when the lid closes, in fact, I can manually put it into sleep mode myself and close the lid and it stays sleeping fine, however, it doesn't go to sleep when you close the lid anymore.

Never experienced any issue like this with the laptop before. It is an HP Pavilion dv3 running windows 7.

I check some online forums and tried of few of things including a system restore but nothing has worked for me yet.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!

A:Laptop Doesn't Sleep When Lid Closes

From reading, there might be a magnet in the bezel surrounding the screen that senses when the lid is closed. Something happened to the magnet (slight misalignment?) and the laptop can no longer sense that the lid is closed.
I have no idea the strength of the magnet nor where it is located. Perhaps someone on the HP forum who has disassembled a Pavilion laptop might be able to help.
Relevancy 86.86%

I have a Dell Studio running Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit, and the laptop doesn't sleep when I close the lid, except I double-checked my settings in the control panel and it's supposed to sleep.

I've had the computer for over 6 months now and the problem first started yesterday, right after I installed the latest Windows updates. When I close the lid, the computer doesn't sleep, but even when I open the lid, nothing appears on the monitor. It's still black and unresponsive, although the power button isn't blinking, so I know it's still awake.

A:Laptop doesn't sleep when lid is closed

Hello ieatlikeawolf, Welcome to the Forum.

Could you answer a few questions?
Does the laptop go into sleep mode if you choose Sleep from the start menu?
Have you tried doing a System Restore to a point before you installed the updates?
Did you install Update KB976902 at the same time as other updates?
Relevancy 86.86%

Hi, I'm having problems when my laptop goes to sleep, I'm not sure what happens but when my battery is low, it goes to sleep but doesn't wake up even if I plug the charger in. The only way I can get this fix is to restart it by shutting it down through the power button.

Relevancy 86.86%

Hi I sleep doesn't or Laptop hibernate have a Dell Inspiron R running Windows my laptop does not go to sleep or hibernate each time I close the lid or press the power button it seems that it forcefully shut down or go to sleep hibernate and then shuts down immediately quot the shut down screen does not appear quot When i start the laptop opening the lid pressing the button it starts as if it were properly shut down I am aware of the options that I can adjust for sleep hibernate or shut down when the lid is closed the power button pressed the problem also exists when giving a quot Sleep hibernate quot order from the start menu I have tried several suggested solutions on the web I have updated the Bios quot whatever that does quot and several other drivers I have tried running a quot PowerCfg -energy quot test on the command prompt quot several people mentioned that by using this test the Laptop doesn't sleep or hibernate found a driver that is requesting the computer to not sleep but i found no such errors i ran a few tests on Dell com to check for any Laptop doesn't sleep or hibernate problems but Laptop doesn't sleep or hibernate everything seems OK also when the laptop is sitting idle for a while and it goes automatically for sleep it does not wake up by moving mouse clicking on the power button I have to shut it down by holding the power button then press it again to turn it on as I remember the problem first appeared after updating the windows from to please help and thanks in advance nbsp

A:Laptop doesn't sleep or hibernate

Try updating the BIOS:

Some DELLs come with there own power management software, that might be interfering...

Relevancy 86%

My laptop with Win Pro x has two issues with power states which are not working correcttly They are -the laptop does not shut down completely either by navigating to the power down option on the settings charm bar or by pressing the power button on the laptop I set it to shut down instead of sleeping as default The computers apparently starts powering down but the power led never switches off and the cooler keeps spinning It won't turn off until I press and hold the power button or the battery drains up Of course the same applies to hybernating the OS saves the content of RAM and starts shutting down but nor down up shut laptop sleep from doesn't wakes never completely shuts down Ditto with quot fast boot quot enabled it doesn't matter if it's on or off the laptop still doesn't power down -if the laptop sleeps it simply won't wake up The monitor turns off and you'd laptop doesn't shut down nor wakes up from sleep expect to press a keyboard key or move or click a mouse button to awaken it but nothing happens Again all I can do is holding the physical power button to force a shutdown or wait until the battery is drained When the laptop keeps stuck in sleeping mode I notice that after some instants the Num Lock led keeps lit and won't turn off even if I press the key What do you think might be happening is it some issue with ACPI or power states What do you suggest to fix those issues Thanks in advance Info OS Windows Pro x CPU core i - U GPU AMD Radeon HD M
Relevancy 86%

Hi I wonder if anyone can help I have a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Li which I've had for just over a year It's a great laptop but recently I've had something weird start happening Whenever I close the lid the laptop doesn't go into sleep mode anymore However when I re-open the lid it does go to sleep If I don't notice this or forget to re-open the lid the laptop gets really hot and I'm worried that this may cause problems in the future Additionally the laptop also seems to sometimes randomly wake while the lid is shut sleep close, I lid when lid but the does on re-open doesn't Laptop I only use it wirelessly and have checked that none of the power saving options Laptop doesn't sleep on lid close, but does when I re-open the lid have been changed I don't know if this was triggered by an update or not as I hadn't used the laptop for a few months so there were a lot of updates to install once I started to use it again My setup is Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Li Vista Home Premium bit SP If it was just not going into sleep when closing the lid I'd expect it to be a Laptop doesn't sleep on lid close, but does when I re-open the lid broken switch but it's the fact that it then sleeps when I open the lid that has me stumped Thanks in advance hope someone can help me fix this
Relevancy 86%

My DV7 laptop either won't come up after sleep mode or sometimes takes 3 or 4 minutes to wake up from sleep mode.  Also the bootup has become very slow - acts like it pauses during bootup and then resumes.  Am running windows 10 and all updates are current.  I have read in some forum posts that there could be a small magnetic switch by the power button that could get stuck and cause the problem.  Have also read that heat from video card could be softening or melting the solder on the system board.  Not sure what I should do to fix this problem.  Have tried all solutions offered on Any other suggestions / solutions out there? Thank you. 

A:dv7 Laptop either slow to come up after sleep mode or doesn'...

Hi, Here is the list of the things that you should try to make the computer fast. ?Make sure the Bios is updated?Turn off Startup ProgramsWhen you install a program in Windows, it may add a small program that runs when Windows starts. After installing a lot of software, your boot up process could become slow. If there are programs you don?t use much, they probably don?t need to start every time Windows does.?Disable the Indexing Service in WindowsThe Search Indexing service in Windows scans through the files and folders on your system and records information about them in an index file to speed up the search process. However, this also consumes resources on your system and can slow it down. If you don?t do a lot of searching through files and folders, you can turn off the indexing service to free up some resources and speed up your computer.Open the Start menu and enter ?services.msc? (without the quotes) in the search box. Press Enter or click on the services.msc link when it displays.? In the right pane on the Services dialog box, scroll down until you find the Windows Search service. Right-click on it and select Properties from the popup menu.? The Windows Search Properties dialog box displays. Select Disabled from the Startup type drop-down list. Click OK to accept the change and close the dialog box.You are returned to the Services dialog box. Select Exit from the File menu to close it. Reboot your computer to finalize the change. ? Reduce the Delay of the Start Menu DisplayBy default, there is a delay before the Start menu and its submenus display. If you want to make the Start menu open faster, you can change a key in the registry to accomplish this.Open the Start menu and enter ?regedit.msc? (without the quotes) in the search box. Press Enter or click on the regedit.msc link when it displays.If the User Account Control dialog box displays, click Yes to continue.NOTE: You may not see this dialog box, depending on your User Account Control settings.In the tree in the left pane of the Registry Editor, navigate to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop key. In the right pane, scroll down until you find the MenuShowDelay data value. Right-click on the name and select Modify from the popup menu.? In the Value data edit box on the Edit String dialog box, enter a new value between 0 and 4000. This indicates how many milliseconds it takes for the Start menu and any submenus to display. We don?t recommend you use 0 as the value. It might make it hard to navigate through the menus. Click OK to accept your change.Select Exit from the File menu to close the Registry Editor. Reboot your computer to apply the change. ? Change the Number of Recent Items Shown on the Windows 7 Start MenuIf you have a lot of recent documents displaying in the Recent Items menu on the Start menu, it can slow down access to the menu. It is a quick and easy task to change the number of items that display on the Recent Items menu.Delete Unnecessary Items from the Send To MenuSome programs may add items to the Send To menu when you install them. If so, your Send To menu may become slow to access. However, you can easily customize the Send To menu in Windows and remove items you don?t use or even disable the Send To menu completely.? Limit the Number of Items in Each FolderIf you have lots of files in a single folder, it can slow down Explorer. It?s best to create multiple folders and spread out the files among the folders.Hope it helps..

"Education costs money; so does Ignorance"If my post has helped you, click the Kudos Thumbs up!If it solved your issue, Click the "Accept as Solution" button so others can benefit from the question you asked!
Relevancy 86%

I have an Acer Emachines E Laptop I have Windows Ultimate bit OS installed Recently I reformatted my system installing Windows on it Since then I am having problem with sleep mode I cannot recover from sleep mode even after pressing boot button Pressing enter taping or moving fingers on mouse When I press enter in the sleep mode the system starts and blue light also starts blinking But there is no display whatsoever Every time I have to hard boot my system by holding boot button for a while and then rebooting I can set it to not go into from doesn't sleep mode! Laptop recover sleep or hibernation but thats not a solution just a temporary remedy I googled this problem but none of the solutions worked Searched through windows seven forums but didn t found Laptop doesn't recover from sleep mode! anything Any help on this issue would be appreciated Thanks a lot I searched this forum and have already gone through this related post and changed power settings accordingly but it did not fix the issue http www bleepingcomputer com forums topic Laptop doesn't recover from sleep mode! html Here is my Microsoft Diagnostic Tool generated report Diagnostic Laptop doesn't recover from sleep mode! Report ----------------------------------------- Windows Validation Data-- Validation Code Cached Online Validation Code N A hr xc f Windows Product Key - -GJY -VJBQ -HYRR Windows Product Key Hash W nm F UPXrCkY xUhXb g Windows Product ID -OEM- - Windows Product ID Type Windows License Type OEM SLP Windows OS version ID C D -C C- E -AA C- EFB Is Admin Yes TestCab x LegitcheckControl ActiveX N A hr x Signed By N A hr x Product Name Windows Ultimate Architecture x Build lab win gdr - TTS Error Validation Diagnostic Resolution Status N A Vista WgaER Data-- ThreatID s N A hr x Version N A hr x Windows XP Notifications Data-- Cached Result N A hr x File Exists No Version N A hr x WgaTray exe Signed By N A hr x WgaLogon dll Signed By N A hr x OGA Notifications Data-- Cached Result N A hr x Version N A hr x OGAExec exe Signed By N A hr x OGAAddin dll Signed By N A hr x OGA Data-- Office Status N A OGA Version N A x Signed By N A hr x Office Diagnostics D FF - - D FF - - D FF - - D FF - - D FF - - D FF - - D FF - - D FF - - Browser Data-- Proxy settings N A User Agent Mozilla compatible MSIE Win Default Browser C Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe Download signed ActiveX controls Prompt Download unsigned ActiveX controls Disabled Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins Allowed Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe Disabled Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control Disabled Active scripting Allowed Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting Allowed File Scan Data-- File Mismatch C Windows system wat watadminsvc exe Hr x File Mismatch C Windows system wat npwatweb dll Hr x File Mismatch C Windows system wat watux exe Hr x File Mismatch C Windows system wat watweb dll Hr x Other data-- Office Details lt GenuineResults gt lt MachineData gt lt UGUID gt C D -C C- E -AA C- EFB lt UGUID gt lt Version gt lt Version gt lt OS gt lt OS gt lt Architecture gt x lt Architecture gt lt PKey gt - - - -HYRR lt PKey gt lt PID gt -OEM- - lt PID gt lt PIDType gt lt PIDType gt lt SID gt S- - - - - - lt SID gt lt SYSTEM gt lt Manufacturer gt eMachines lt Manufacturer gt lt Model gt eMachines E lt Model gt lt SYSTEM gt lt BIOS gt lt Manufacturer gt eMachines lt Manufacturer gt lt Version gt V lt Version gt lt SMBIOSVersion major quot quot minor quot quot gt lt Date gt lt Date gt lt BIOS gt lt HWID gt FDBB E lt HWID gt lt UserLCID gt lt UserLCID gt lt SystemLCID gt lt SystemLCID gt lt TimeZone gt India Standard Time GMT lt TimeZone gt lt iJoin gt lt iJoin gt lt SBID gt lt stat gt lt stat gt lt msppid gt lt msppid gt lt name gt lt name gt lt model gt lt model gt lt SBID gt lt OEM gt lt OEMID gt ACRSYS lt OEMID gt lt OEMTableID gt ACRPRDCT lt OEMTableID gt lt OEM gt lt GANotification gt lt MachineData gt lt S... Read more
Relevancy 85.57%

Hi I've got a Toshiba Satellite Pro A yrs old Intel core CPU GHz GB RAM sleep and Laptop resuming to from sleep Hanging going issue, with Vista Business SP Laptop sleep issue, Hanging going to and resuming from sleep bit and Laptop sleep issue, Hanging going to and resuming from sleep often when I put it to sleep it will hang or crash on resume forcing me to to do a hard shut down Sometimes the screen will just be totally black and hang and sometimes it will get to vista's quot resuming quot splash screen or even the login screen Laptop sleep issue, Hanging going to and resuming from sleep and then hang crash Often the disk activity LED will remain on indefinitely due to the hang even though I can't hear any disk activity As far as I'm aware all my drivers are up to date I'm just so fed up with loosing documents and personal settings now I've got to do something about it and from googling it seems this is a pretty widespread problem but I've not come across a solution that's worked for me - I've even installed the extra KB patch that was meant to fix it Also sometimes when I put it to sleep fully charged and not use it for a a few hours I find that the laptop has lost power during sleep because the battery has been run flat and the ventilation grille feels warm even though I know that the battery can normally last much much longer on sleep Is it possible that the computer resumed itself from sleep to hibernate after mins on battery as my power settings dictate and then crashed whilst resuming causing it to drain itself flat since it my laptop should have entered automatic hibernation on the critical battery warning unless it was unable to respond Is this a power setting problem I have hybrid hibernation turned off since I still lost my documents in the past with it on I tend to find that sleep goes wrong the most when I'm on the move and regularly changing power supplies from mains to battery I often unplug the laptop from the mains as it is entering sleep mode as I pack the laptop away or plug into mains during resume I had the laptop on mains without switching to battery all last week as I stayed at home and sleep was never failed once As soon as I was on the move and started switching supplies again this week sleep instantly failed twice in two days Also I've noticed it's unreliable when I remove or add a usb device i e usb mouse I've noticed that in Event Viewer that every time that resume hangs and I have to manually shut down and boot the laptop up again there's an unexpected shut down logged but prior to resuming and not at the time I manually forced the shut down --- hung on resume --- Put to sleep at PM Resumed at PM then hard shut down But unexpected shut down logged prior to this at PM EventData D C D C C B F --- battery ran flat after sleep ventilation grille still warm on resume --- Put to sleep at PM Resumed at PM then hard shut down But unexpected shut down logged prior to this at PM EventData D B D B C B CDA See attachment for more details Sorry for all the details but hopefully that'll help getting to the right solution faster Thanks very much
Relevancy 85.14%

This problem has been going on already for about a month as far as I can recall The laptop turns on but the display is totally empty and Windows does not start at all This happens frequently after hibernation sleep What I do usually is I just turn the laptop off and turn it on again and the OS starts successfully but now it takes more than twice and it may be dangerous already to do such The laptop is still under warranty and I have it checked already at the store where I bought it The tech person did a few tweaks in the power settings It did work but after a little less than hrs the problem came back I am working as an architectural intern and most of the programs I use are heavy D drafting and D modeling softwares e g Autocad Sketchup and Lumion as well as Adobe Photoshop I use Sketchup very often Just mentioning this as it may have some bearing to the problem Thank you very much

A:Laptop turns on but doesn't load OS after hibernation/sleep

Hi, Welcome to SF.

I found this post from our member gergrocker. This might help.

Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker

Sleep issues are almost always caused by the display driver so I would start by updating it, or trying another. Driver Install - Device Manager

You can troubleshoot Sleep and Hibernate by setting them to 1 and 2 minutes in Power Options. Use Balanced Plan. Then work through these Sleep Mode Problems - Vista Forums.

If this is still the factory preinstalled WIn7 then that is a corrupt install which causes many of these problems, which is why most tech enthusiasts will not run it but choose to Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7

At the minimum I'd Clean Up Factory Bloatware

If that doesn't help then work through these Troubleshooting Steps for Windows 7
Relevancy 85.14%

Ever since I did something with my drivers things have been going haywire Here's a list of a few things that I have had issues with sometimes when i'm using a speech application like skype or discord sounds on my desktop are picked up through my mic even though i'm using a headset my computer's automatic maintenance starts up at the most random times and it never seems to end and whenever I shutdown hibernate or put my computer to sleep my screen powers off but my fan power button light and mouse lighting are still on the fan is running as well but it's at a slower and quieter speed All my drivers are updated and so is my BIOS My guess is that the BIOS update may have caused things to go haywire in my computer Can anyone please hibernate, doesn't Laptop and shutdown. sleep, fully help me solve this issue I have to resort to pressing the power button to make my computer turn off or go to sleep nbsp
Relevancy 85.14%

Hello, whenever I shut the lid of my laptop, it goes to sleep mode. After a while, when I open it back up it would turn on normally, but most of the times, it would just not even turn on.The keyboard lights can be turned on and the power button is on during that moment. Is there anything I can do to fix this problem?
Relevancy 84.28%

I usually lower the laptop lid when i want to put it into sleep mode; after the windows 10 update, this stopped working. I tried putting it into sleep mode from the start menue. This causes the screen to become black, but power to remain on ( I can see this from a steady light from the power button whereas sleep would have a flashing power button). The laptop's fan also increases in speed. When I try to wake the laptop, nothing happenes; I have tried to use ctrl+alt+delete, however this also does not work. I am ususally forced to resort to a manual shut down via holding the power button for a few second and restarting the laptop. I have tried updating the display adapters, restarted the laptop, and still no result. Does anyone know why this is happenning and how I can fix it?

A:Laptop doesn't wake after sleep mode after Windows 10 update

I was having the Exact Same Issue. The reason I decided to go back to windows 8 was because since upgrading to Windows 10, when my computer goes into sleep mode, I cannot wake it up. I have to press and hold the power button to shut it done and restart. Even if I close my laptop, and reopen the lid, it wont start back up and I have to press and hold the power button and shut it down and restart.  After trying to restore my HP Envy Laptop from Windows 10 to Windows 8, it got stuck in a Repair PC Loop and I could not even access the desktop, I tried the restore option to an earlier date and that failed and all the repair options also failed. The last option I had was to do a full PC Refresh, and that one worked. It took about an hour but no data was lost, and only a few of my downloaded apps were removed. An html url was left on the desktop that showed a list of all the apps that were removed. So all I did was download those back and now im back up and running Windows 8.
Relevancy 76.11%

I've had this problem intermittently on my laptop for the past 2 years however it has been occuring more often recently.

Basically sometimes when I click the sleep button on Windows 7, the screen fades to black as usual. However the fan keeps running (sounds like when it's on full load) and the power button light stays on endlessly. I always have to force shut it down and restart it.

What can be the issue?

A:Laptop freezes between entering sleep mode to being in sleep mode

Hi joseph10444.

Such a situation may occur when some driver (mostly the PnP device drivers depending on the ACPI configuration) fail to response within a stipulated time period during the power state change.

Let us see some data. Upload your MSINFO32.nfo file.
Click on the start button
Type "msinfo32" (without quotes) in the search bar of the start menu, click the resulting link. It will open the System Information window.
File>Save. In the "File Name" filed, put "MSINFO32" (without Quote), give the save location to desktop, and click the "save" button.
Give the time for processing, it will save a .nfo file on your desktop.
Zip it, and upload it following the instruction.
Upload the list of all the third party drivers Using NirSoft DriverView :
Download and execute Driverview
View > Hide Microsoft Drivers
Edit > Select all
File > Save Selected Items
In the Save dialog, Set the path to desktop, Put "Driverview" in the name field, and save.
Zip the .txt file and upload it.
Those files will give us a closer look to the issue.
Relevancy 76.11%

hai.. help needed.... i am having the exact problem as op.. when i press sleep button, screen goes black (as usual).. but fan, and other keyboard lights are still on... it just freezes... i have to force shutdown to again use my laptop...

i am attaching the msinfo32.nfo, driverview.txt...

and one more thing... i dont have problem of bsod... thanks..

A:Laptop freezes between entering sleep mode to being in sleep mode

Original Thread

Laptop freezes between entering sleep mode to being in sleep mode
Relevancy 73.1%

Twice now I have put the machine to sleep, checked an hour or so later that it is indeed suspended, but found sometime later when I return that it is running. When I check the system log, I can't see what has caused the machine to resume - eg for last night I see a message in the system log at 23:01 "The system is entering sleep.", followed by a couple of messages about services entering the stopped state, and then at 03:00:

"The system has resumed from sleep.

Sleep Time: ‎2009‎-‎01‎-‎27T12:01:33.141601600Z
Wake Time: ‎2009‎-‎01‎-‎27T16:00:13.645507800Z

Wake Source: Unknown"

A:Sleep doesn't

Hello Nick,

Do you have a wireless mouse/keyboard. I have had turning on my tele. wake the computer since I go a wireless mouse. Me turning the phone on while next to the comp.

Also could be from a network card. Go to device manager and then to the properties for these devices. Look for a 'Power Management' tab and deselect 'Allow this device to wake the computer' for as many as you can. See if that fixes it.

Relevancy 73.1%

Hi everybody This is first sleep initiated state if immediattely Desktop Remote Sleep after was complete not S3 time asking a question hope I'll Sleep S3 state not complete if sleep was initiated immediattely after Remote Desktop do Sleep S3 state not complete if sleep was initiated immediattely after Remote Desktop good I Sleep S3 state not complete if sleep was initiated immediattely after Remote Desktop use Win and others with sleep wake-up nbsp from long time now as main method of start stop nbsp Recently I managed to connect a Win desktop to network by cable just to be able to wake it up using RDP and work on it from other PC-s All fine but After closing RDP by disconnect and nbsp wait min to enter in sleep mode supposed to be S everything goes well till it should stop power-which it don't like in S In BIOS power options I choose quot S only quot not quot auto not quot S only quot Moreover the red led HDD goes on and stay on this state indefinitely Same result if you log-off from RDP and manually put it on sleep locally from log-in screen WITHOUT logging in The Problem Next the computer don't wake up do nothing by start button neither by RDP quot computer not present quot or so nor even by reset button The only way to re start it is by power down sec on start button or cutting down the power I'm for years in computing I never saw that hard reset won't work because of software nbsp Other computers with Win used before never have this problem - they normally enter in sleep S resume- even after multiple RDP sessions and going to sleep states between them I have just tested another scenario after closing RDP put manually in sleep mode AFTER login in my account - that works normally So RDP put computer in a state improper to sleep which can be overwritten by logging in locally as a user have only admin if it count nbsp Can anybody tell me what to do or at least what RDP has to do with sleep after the connection was closed The MB is an ASSUS P K SE if is important Thank you
Relevancy 72.67%

I have a Dell Latitude 6430u running windows 7 64.
When I first got it I worked through many BSOD issues and it was running fine for many many months.
Now recently it started not sleeping, waking up by itself during sleep and waking up from sleep with an unexpected crash message.
Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

A:BSOD - Won't sleep or crashes during sleep on Dell Latitude 6430u

Please enable Driver Verifier by following these instructions. A driver is most likely at fault that can't be identified.

Driver Verifier - Enable and Disable
Relevancy 72.67%

Hi All I have two systems a N SLI-DS and a GA-EP -DS L hooked up to a Trednet KVM switch If I put the GA-EP -DS L to sleep and switch to the N SLI-DS the GA-EP -DS L system wakes up The only way I have been able to keep it in KVM comp switch from wakes and sleep GA-EP35-DS3L sleep sleep is if I hold the switch for the N SLI-DS while pressing the sleep button and then switching to the N SLI-DS immediately the GA-EP -DS L won't turn on until I press the power button Now the N SLI-DS doesn't have the problem I went into the BIOS and disabled the keyboard and mouse wakeup but don't know what else to check Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to check next This is what happened to me for the past few years This week I just replaced my N SLI-DS with an ASUS P Z -V LK board The Asus also does NOT show the same issue that the GA-EP -DS L has Could this just be an issue with the power supply Thanks

A:GA-EP35-DS3L sleep and KVM switch wakes comp from sleep

npolite, it could be that you have "wake on lan" set on in your network card.

Relevancy 72.24%

Running a self built system that was working nicely for over a year,now when I put it in sleep mode it won't wake up without pushing the power button and then sometimes I have to switch the power off on the back of the system and let it sit for a minute before it will restart. Running Windows 7 Ultimate

A:Sleep doesn't wake up like it used to

Did you install SP1? Have you checked for driver updates for chipset and video? What else is supposed to wake the computer? Mouse? Keyboard? Check Power Management settings for those devices in Device Manager.
Relevancy 72.24%

Hello nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp I have been using this new machine for last months from doesn't P50 wake up sleep and am experiencing this issue from time to time When I don't work on the laptop I just close the lid After some time I see that the red led light on the lid goes blinking P50 doesn't wake up from sleep on slow pace - that tells me the machine has gone into sleep mode Now when I come back to the machine later usually I see either the red led is still blinking or completely gone off I open the lid the machine wakes up and I can start working on nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp However at times when I come back I see that the red led on the lid is constantly on In those occasions when I open the lid the machine doesn't wake up I see that the greed led on the power button is constantly on - so that kind of indicates that the machine IS probably awake But the screen is black empty as if its still sleeping In these situations I normally end up with force restarting the machine - making me to reopen all the nbsp applications once again if not loosing some work data nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp Is there anywya I can tweak any setting or follow any best practice - that can prevent this issue from re-ocurring nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp Thank you very much in advance for your suggestions
Relevancy 72.24%

I have an 2003 Windows XP Dell desktop. Lately in order to return from sleep, I have to push the power button. Why would this be happening?
Relevancy 72.24%

My laptop doesn't seem to go to sleep like other PCs I've used but I haven't worked out exactly where the issue lies nbsp If I START gt POWER gt SHUTDOWN it turns off properly nbsp If I START gt POWER gt SLEEP it appears to go to sleep but I come back to it and find it on again with an empty battery - the X2 to Pro doesn't sleep seem properly same thing happens when I use the little power switch thing on the back of the screen nbsp If I close the unit or not seems to make no difference either nbsp Can anyone tell me what I'm meant to do to be able to put the unit into standby reliably so I can take advantage of having a portable PC rather than an embarrasing mains-tethered computer when I turn up to a client's premises can I use a plug please I seem to have gone flat AGAIN nbsp or just reverting Pro X2 doesn't seem to sleep properly to shutting down and rebooting a dozen times a day nbsp nbsp
Relevancy 72.24%

Okay, here's the problem, it all seems to have started when I plugged my 360 into my router, but I'm not sure if that's the problem. Whenever I set a pre-designated time for my computer to go into sleep mode, it won't ever actually go into sleep mode. I've tried unplugging the Ethernet chord from the back of the 360 to see if it would solve the problem. That's a big "NO!" So I've come to you guys for help. The monitor will go into sleep mode, just not the actual computer. I can forcefully put it into sleep mode with the buttons on the keyboard and computer, but not any other way. Please help!

Relevancy 72.24%

when i click on Sleep button looks like sleeping, but PC goes off...all the times..., weeks ago it was working reasonably properly.because Wake button never had worked, I needed to press On button to wake it up. But simply now is boring to turn it on several times per day.

A:PC doesn't sleep ....anymore

Control Panel > power options Set all choices to never / click OK restart the computer . If after a wait nothing happens -- go back and set one choice at a time . restarting between each setting .See if that works .
Relevancy 72.24%

I made no changes, but my PC doesn't sleep anymore. I can leave it for hours, come back and the monitor is still brightly lit and my email is up to date. The turn off display is set at 30 minutes, and Put computer to sleep at 1 hour.

A:my pc doesn't sleep anymore.

Hello and welcome cpzachar how long has it been like that?

Plus could you tell us what is set in the Control Panel Power options High performance Balanced etc
Relevancy 72.24%

Hi, Sorry for yet another post....
When I put my laptop into sleep mode, the screen goes off but the fans stay on? It's been like this for a while now so I've just been putting it to Hibernate instead, but I'm sure the fans used to go off when it was in sleep mode??

A:fan doesn't go off in sleep mode

Originally Posted by vista890

Hi, Sorry for yet another post....
When I put my laptop into sleep mode, the screen goes off but the fans stay on? It's been like this for a while now so I've just been putting it to Hibernate instead, but I'm sure the fans used to go off when it was in sleep mode??

the processsor is overheating so it needs to keep running to cool it down to normal temperature, afterall, it is still running in sleep mode, you can fix this with a can of pressurised air and giving it a good blow out from the dust.

Relevancy 71.81%

I would like to know how to create a task in task scheduler , that'll force the computer into sleep over a running program.

Basically, I have some software that runs in the background called 'WD anywhere backup' and when this software is running it prevents the computer from sleeping.
I need the software to run, I cant disable it, because it backs up my computer to an external hard drive.

But someone told me it might be possible to create a sleep task, but to override this program, or exclude it ?

Many thanks in advance,

A:create sleep task, to force sleep over a program ?

I'm a little confused. If you put the computer to sleep, no programs will run, including the WD backup, unless it wakes the system up.

Do you expect the WD backup to run during sleep?
Relevancy 71.81%

My wife Sleep / Vista Problems Hybrid / Sleep Hibernation s computer has been displaying an error ever since I enabled Hybrid Sleep amp Hibernation on her computer Dell Vista Hibernation / Hybrid Sleep / Sleep Problems Vostro Vista Business SP - Bit Intel T GB RAM I created a customized power setting for her that did the following when operating under batteries Shuts down monitor after minutes Shuts down HDD after minutes In advances the relevant I think settings are Sleep after - minutes Allow Hybrid Sleep - yes on battery Hybernate After - minutes on battery When she shuts off the computer by closing the lid the computer goes to sleep no problem If you turn it back on within hours no problem However if you turn it on after the Vista Hibernation / Hybrid Sleep / Sleep Problems minutes she gets a message that quot Windows has recovered from a serious start up error quot That being said we have not found any ill-effects after acknowledging the message I have also attached a screen shot a details from the event viewer that captured each time it has happened In the interim I have disabled Hybrid Sleep but left the hibernation on after minutes I set the computer Vista Hibernation / Hybrid Sleep / Sleep Problems to hibernate and it restarted with no error messages Any thoughts as to the cause of this Is the solution a simple OS bug and I should simply leave Hybrid Sleep off Any help would be appreciated nbsp
Relevancy 71.81%

Whether I choose any option other than to turn PC off, instead of tapping spacebar on my MS wireless keyboard I have to tap the button for power on the tower, then the monitor turns on as the fan runs, but always a black screen. So then I have to do a manual boot and select to start normally.
Started a week ago, around the same time as a graphics card failure. I installed a new PNY GeForce, updated ALL drivers on my Gateway DX4710-UB301A, (Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit, AVG antivirus free 2014) played with power management and startup config settings, trolled forums, performed malware scans, and still can't figure out the issue. 
Please help!
Relevancy 71.81%

Hello I sleep to identify the 8 go how - does device/app preventing Windows to sleep not have a quite new Windows Pro installation upgraded from Windows but as a clean install It is running on a Asus K E laptop bought almost a year ago but I ran into a problem with going to standby mode The laptop successfully dims the display and then turns it off at the set time but it never reaches the sleep Windows 8 does not go to sleep - how to identify the device/app preventing sleep mode I followed the steps from nbsp http support microsoft com kb nbsp but to no avail The command Powercfg - devicequery wake armed nbsp shows only keyboard and mouse but I don't suspect the mouse as it is Microsoft Wireless Mouse and I turn it off before trying to induce sleep I have made sure to turn off iTunes media sharing and Windows Media Player Network Sharing service The drivers are from Microsoft or the newest I could get from Asus The command Powercfg -energy nbsp showed some errors - mostly with USB devices hubs and with one of the system drivers System Availability Requests System Required Request The device or driver has made a request to prevent the system from automatically entering sleep Driver Name FileSystem srvnet I rather suspect some incompatible driver but to press Asus support for some update I would need to know what to blame I reviewed system logs in Event Viewer but can't find any useful entries around the time when the computer should go to sleep but there are so many logs that I might have missed the right one So my question is if somebody could introduce me to a tool that would help to pinpoint the problem I see the subject is quite ubiquitous for Windows so I would be grateful to anyone who could suggest any options other than mentioned above Thanks in advance Chris

A:Windows 8 does not go to sleep - how to identify the device/app preventing sleep

Thanks, I disabled defrag and it was the problem, sleep now works fine, I now just manually defrag monthly. My system is windows 8 on an HP Compaq CQ58. Cheers Don.
Relevancy 71.81%

Hey there Reason: Sleep API Idle/Random sleep, Application everyone Long-time lurker and technician here thanks for all the assistance in the past and future I've encountered a sleep-related problem on my tower desktop Some time after a long idle - hours my machine just goes to sleep I require this machine to be up so I've tried many things inevitably my computer just decides to take a nap I've even enabled wake-on-lan so I can wake it up remotely when I'm not nearby Attached are my system specs info service culprits non-microsoft and attempted fixes systeminfo txt is output from systeminfo AidaReport txt is a full summary of my machine SleepEvents txt contains the sleep event itself and the events that always seem to follow or precede it Running Non-Microsoft Idle/Random sleep, Sleep Reason: Application API Services Adobe Acrobat Flash Player update Services AMD External Events Utility Apple Mobile Device Bonjour Serivce Evolve Service Evolve Gaming Client FileZilla Server FTP server Fitbit Connect Service iPod Service Mozilla Maintenance Service OpenVPN Service Splashtop Remote Service Splashtop Software Updater Steam Client Service VMware Authorization Service VMware USB Arbitration Service VMware Workstation Server Things I've tried Disabled all sleep related settings including hybrid sleep and fast startup Power options are set to never sleep on all profiles power plans I've tried Caffeine F every seconds and Insomnia SetThreadExecutionState Originally my computer was going to sleep with the reason Sleep Button pressed and it looked like it was my keyboard Razer DeathStalker so I disabled the hardware sleep button then the reason changed to Application API with some delay between the problems All windows updates have been applied including the latest I apologize if there is a thread detailing a fix or an API recorder of some sort I have been unable to find either of those in my weeks of research Please let me know if there is any other information I can provide Thanks again

A:Idle/Random sleep, Sleep Reason: Application API

Bump, anyone experience anything like it?
Relevancy 71.81%

I have an issue with the sleep function The computer does not awake from sleep When I try to do it it behaves as if it was waking but it never ends and there is only a black screen the mouse and keyboard are inoperative The only thing possible to do is a hard reboot When it boots it shows a notice with a minute report in an No Sleep issue the From have sleep T ? BlockedI with Wake function. the zip file usually saying there was a blue screen but I NEVER see any blue screen at all I know the power configuration is OK No Wake From Sleep ? BlockedI have an issue with the sleep function. T because I have always No Wake From Sleep ? BlockedI have an issue with the sleep function. T used the same scheme A powercfg energy report shows several errors and warnings They refer to USB and PCI vendor ATI motherboard but I don t know how to repair them I downloaded the drivers downloader from Rrecipester org and downloaded and installed the drivers They are all Broadcom Corporation signed the brand of my USB Bluetoth attachment I rebooted after installing as recommended Run powercfg energy again and got the same report issues in the zip file I don t think the processor utilization warnings to be very important because they are low and sporadic picks It No Wake From Sleep ? BlockedI have an issue with the sleep function. T has been like this for some time now so I don t have a restore point Can someone help and tell me what I can do so solve this issue please Files uploaded in the attached zip Windows warning after reboot Windows dump and xml files each Powercfg -energy report I wanted to correct the thread title but was unable to do it Maybe someone else can do it

A:No Wake From Sleep – BlockedI have an issue with the sleep function. T

Quite confident it's a driver issue, it will be very difficult to troubleshoot from the one included dump file though as it's incomplete and inconclusive.

* Bugcheck Analysis *

The current thread is making a bad pool request. Typically this is at a bad IRQL level or double freeing the same allocation, etc.
Arg1: 0000000000000007, Attempt to free pool which was already freed
Arg2: 000000000000109b, (reserved)
Arg3: 0000000004440006, Memory contents of the pool block
Arg4: fffffa8007c481b0, Address of the block of pool being deallocated

Debugging Details:

***** Debugger could not find nt in module list, module list might be corrupt, error 0x80070057.

Cannot get _POOL_TRACKER_BIG_PAGES type size
Cannot get _POOL_TRACKER_BIG_PAGES type size

POOL_ADDRESS: fffffa8007c481b0

LAST_CONTROL_TRANSFER: from fffffa80036544e0 to fffff800038c2d40

fffff800`00b9c360 fffffa80`036544e0 : 00000000`00000000 00000000`000007ff fffffa80`03619000 fffffa80`04498360 : 0xfffff800`038c2d40
fffff800`00b9c368 00000000`00000000 : 00000000`000007ff fffffa80`03619000 fffffa80`04498360 fffff800`038d0fff : 0xfffffa80`036544e0

MODULE_NAME: Unknown_Module

IMAGE_NAME: Unknown_Image

Followup: MachineOwner
Relevancy 71.81%

Hello Seveners I have been having trouble with a to Numerous / caused sleep. in while putting BSOD's. Normally sleep BSOD for a while now It is getting to that extent that I bare it any longer I need help Firstly these BSOD's have been happening randomly but normally the case is while it is in sleep or when I put it to sleep the screen will go black but the laptop will refuse to actually sleep It remains in this state of useless on-ness until either I pull the plug or it decides to BSOD I have Numerous BSOD's. Normally caused while in sleep / putting to sleep. a program called Soluto which sends the details of the BSOD to my email It said the error code was F and the likely cause was nt driver I ran verifier exe and restarted Upon restarting I was constantly greeted by a BSOD informing me that there was a problem with HIDCLASS SYS Upon restarting with last known good configuration I am here looking for help There are Numerous BSOD's. Normally caused while in sleep / putting to sleep. results for Numerous BSOD's. Normally caused while in sleep / putting to sleep. HIDCLASS SYS on my laptop all seeming to point to AMD I have attached my Minidumps from today two BSODes my system NFO and a picture taken of the BSOD when booting after running verifier exe They are zipped as one due to the fact that uploading of NFO files doesn't seem to be supported This is getting increasingly infuriating as I am constantly losing work System specs can be found on my profile and in the NFO I appreciate any help Many thanks Ben

A:Numerous BSOD's. Normally caused while in sleep / putting to sleep.

What USB devices have you got installed?

I believe we are looking at a USB device causing a bugcheck.
Do you have a gaming mouse or any mouse drivers installed?

HIDCLASS.SYS appears to be mainly caused by mouse drivers.

Because a lot of driver power state failures are caused by graphics drivers I recommend updating yours as it is very outdated.
Here's some instructions if you are unsure how to update it.

How-To Install AMD Catalyst? Drivers For A Windows? Based System

fffff880`048f4000 fffff880`05302000 atikmdag (deferred)
Image path: \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\atikmdag.sys
Image name: atikmdag.sys
Timestamp: Thu Sep 15 19:07:36 2011 (4E723EE8)
CheckSum: 009C92B0
ImageSize: 00A0E000
Translations: 0000.04b0 0000.04e4 0409.04b0 0409.04e4
Post back the results.
Relevancy 71.81%

I know there are a bunch of sleep problems out there but I couldn't fine one similar to this after doing a forum search. Running Windows 7 Ultimate. Sleep used to work ok but now when I choose sleep from the start menu, the screen blacks out but the computer doesn't actually go to sleep. The fans, activity lights, hdd lights are all still running. If I move the mouse the screen comes back. However, if I just wait for the sleep timer to kick in then the computer does go to sleep (all fans stop running and all lights go out). I'm not sure what caused this. I use my pc as an HTCP and now when I push the power button on the remote the pc does not go to sleep. Any suggestions would be great, thanks!

A:Won't Sleep From Start Menu but Sleep Timer Works

This tells you how to disable and enable sleep, see if it applies to you: How to Disable the Sleep Option in the Windows Shut Down Menu
Relevancy 71.81%

Somehow it has a my custom plan1.
I want to delete my custom plan 1 because it does not work.
I change settings to 1 minute, it does not sleep.

IF I click start then sleep, yes it will sleep.

It used to sleep, I made some changes somehow custom plan 1 got invoked and now it does not do what I have it set to do.

adding, following this I was able to delete that plan
seeing if balanced will sleep.
Custom Power Plan - Create or Delete

A:Computer will not goto sleep on timer, will sleep when manually done

well, that darned PC still wont sleep

trying the disable wake timers setting.
Relevancy 71.81%

I currently run win ultimate bit gig ram intel i - k cpu and my Slow for if long time sleep sleep from resume OS runs on an OCZ SSD all specs are in my profile Sleep mode is set to S in BIOS I have hibernation disabled so no hibernation sys file on my c drive When I put my computer to sleep then immediately wake it up the login screen shows instantly I type in Slow resume from sleep if sleep for long time my pass and it loads in like seconds When I put my computer to sleep but wait for around - hrs before waking it it shows the login screen instantly but after i hit login it gives me the Welcome spinning circle thingy for like seconds before I can see my desktop That's like longer than my entire boot-up time excluding POST Event viewer doesnt show any performance delay and I dont think my OS drive OCZ vertex has a cache so I have it disabled I'm sure all my mobo drivers and graphic drivers are up to date Suggestions on why this might be so Any idea would be much appreciated

A:Slow resume from sleep if sleep for long time

My laptop has this issue. I've just accepted the fact that it just does it and simply wait the time it takes or shut it down instead of putting it into sleep mode.

A more logical answer and an explanation would be nice though
Relevancy 71.81%

When I leave my computer after a session, it automatically goes into sleep mode after a period of time and remains that way till I wake it up.

However when I manually put it to sleep ( via shutdown options) , it goes to sleep immediately but for only a while ( a few minutes) then it shows the desktop screen again. If I then leave it alone after it self awake , it goes back to sleep as described above.

Any idea why ?

A:Auto sleep mode works but manual sleep does not

Some softwares can stop the sleep request to work properly.

run cmd.exe as a admin (Click on start, type CMD, right click on CMD.exe and select run as admin)
then type the command
powercfg.exe /energy
This will generate a report that will show if any software is blocking the sleep request. Your next step would be to configure the software in control panel power options
Relevancy 71.81%

I have a W520 running Windows 7 Professional. Just recently, my laptop has been going into sleep mode after being idle for about 2-4 minutes (the time is not consistent). My power management is set to "high performance". Put the computer to sleep is set to "Never". The advanced power settings are:Sleep afterOn battery: NeverPlugged in: NeverAllow hybrid sleepOn battery: OffPlugged in: OffHibernate afterOn battery: NeverPlugged in: NeverAllow wake timersOn battery: DisablePlugged in: DisableDoes anybody have an idea of why my laptop goes into sleep mode after 2-4 minutes? Is this a software or hardware problem?

A:W520 entering sleep mode but sleep disabled in pow...

Hi KnightCa,
Welcome to Lenovo Community Forums!
I'm really sorry to hear that your Lenovo W520 goes into sleep mode even after it has been disabled in Power management.
Go to Control panel - - >Power Options - - >Change plan settings (Choose the Power plan that you have selected) - - >Change advanced power settings - - >Adjust the settings under sleep and display as shown below.

Also, try doing a windows update and reinstallation of Power manager in your system.
If the above said didn?t help, try doing a registry editing.
1. Open the Start Menu. 2. In the white line (Start Search) area, type regedit and press Enter. 3. If prompted, click on Continue in the prompt. 4. In regedit, go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\238C9FA8-0AAD-41ED-83F4-97BE242C8F20\7bc4a2f9-d8fc-4469-b07b-33eb785aaca0\DefaultPowerSchemeValues.
5. Expand DefaultPowerSchemeValues and Click on the key that is for the Power Plan that you want to change the wait time (Refer the table below)
Spoiler (Highlight to read)
6. In the right pane, right click on ACSettingIndex (while on AC power) or DCSettingIndex (while on battery power) and click on Modify.
7. Choose Decimal, and type in how many seconds you want Windows to wait to go back to sleep automatically after an unattended wakeup.
Spoiler (Highlight to read)
8. Close regedit. 9. Restart the computer to apply.
Hope this helps and do post back with the results. Expecting to hear from you soon.
Best Regards,

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
Relevancy 71.81%

Whenever I press the sleep button on my computer, or when I leave it idle and it goes to sleep by itself, I get a blue screen of death. I would really like to solve this issue and it would be great if someone was able to help me ...

Now, this computer came with an AMD video card, but I uninstalled those drivers and took out the video card and installed a GTX 570 from EVGA. The drivers are up to date, so I am pretty sure the new hardware is installed correctly. Furthermore, it was not doing this for the first few months of having the video card installed. This is very recent, so I don't understand what it could be...

I've attached an image of the BSOD so you all can see.

Thanks for any help you can give

Relevancy 71.38%

Under XP I enjoyed using the sleep mode. I'm not sure if that's the correct translation, in my German windows it's called "Ruhezustand".
The PC was off (more or less) and didn't consume much energy, and I could easily wake it up and had all the software and all the files open, just as I had left it.

It seems that Win 7 has a similar function but it doesn't work. When I click it, the PC shuts down, stays off for about 2 seconds, and then it restarts by itself, without me touching anything.

Somebody told me it could be the network adapter, so I disabled the option that it could wake up the PC, but that didn't help either.

Any suggestions please?

A:My PC doesn't stay in Sleep Mode

There can be many things that can cause a PC to resume from sleep/standby. Take a look at your event viewer to see if it provides any help. Go to start Orb, type event, the event viewer should be the first choice already highlighted so hit enter to open. Once opened, expand on "Windows Logs" and check under "Application" and "System". Keep notice of the time your PC is put to sleep and when it wakes and check those times against whats listed in the two locations.

Hope that helps, let us know.
Relevancy 71.38%

I clicked the sleep button when I was switching off my pc by accident. As I turned my pc on few minutes later the pc powers on but doesn't the monitor says no signal.

The pc didn't make the beep sound when booting up. I pressed keys on my keyboard and mouse but nothing happens. My optical wired mouse has no light and my wireless keyboard receiver has no lights on .

Can anyone help thanks

A:Pc Sleep issue- doesn't boot up

Hello Bauer,

You can press the restart button your computer case, then select the "Start windows normally" option when you see that screen at boot to see if it will boot up normally for you afterwards.

Hope this helps,
Relevancy 71.38%

Hey there I have an issue where even though I have all wake timers turned off and I have it set in Windows to sleep after minutes the computer simply refuses to sleep Unless I click the sleep button it will not sleep This really bothers me as I am a volunteer firefighter so when I get a Computer doesn't to like [SOLVED] sleep. call I just get up and dart to the station not worrying about my computer But I really don't [SOLVED] Computer doesn't like to sleep. want it on for a long time I've been on calls where it's been hours until I got home and my computer was STILL awake My cat can't mess with it I know that for a [SOLVED] Computer doesn't like to sleep. fact so she's [SOLVED] Computer doesn't like to sleep. not keeping it up I'm not sure what's causing this anyone know I'd love to get this fixed thanks in advance Specs Motherboard Gigabyte GM-D H Processor AMD FX Black Edition RAM G Skill Ripjaws Gb Dual Channel DDR HDD Seagate Barracuda tb Green x CD Drive LITE-ON DVD R W PSU Corsair somthing or other plus gold OS Windows Ultimate bit installed on gb ssd

A:[SOLVED] Computer doesn't like to sleep.

Could you take a screenshot of the power options you have set?
Relevancy 71.38%

I've been using my computer for about a month and the sleep function has worked perfectly until lately. It has been correctly going to sleep when commanded from the Start menu, and also after the allotted time (30 minutes) goes to sleep when the computer is idle.

But, for the last few days, it will not automatically enter sleep mode when I leave the computer idle for 30 minutes.

I've tried just about everything, but still no luck - the only way to set it to sleep is forcing it through the start menu.

I'm using the Balanced power plan and have disabled hybrid sleep. The display correctly turns off after 10 minutes. Hibernates set to never and Wake timers are disabled. USB Selective suspend is disabled. In the Device Manager the Keyboard only is set to wake up the computer from sleep - both the Mouse and Lan are disabled from doing so.

Any ideas?

A:Computer doesn't sleep when idle

Welcome to the Forum,

Have you rechecked the setting?
Relevancy 71.38%

I've bough a Dell Inspiron 1564 with win7 home premium x64 last month and everything was fine until a few days ago, when sleep mode stopped working. When I close my lid and open it up after some time there are 2 things that might happen:
1. The screen is just black, all the buttons are lit, I hear the fan, but no reaction at all. So I just forcibly turn off and turn it on again.
2. After opening the lid, nothing happens, when I try to turn it on, it loads up, but informs me that windows has not shut down properly last time (or something like that).

A:Sleep mode doesn't work

First try to fix the problem with system restore
If that does not work, check this tutorial
Power Options and Sleep Mode Problems - Vista Forums
Relevancy 71.38%

i can't understand why this software doesn't work under windows 7
the program is don't sleep ,it's portable and has some nice feature

i want to use it , bacause i have in my keyboard a sleep key , and sometime i stroke for error
so i set only blocking standby , but it doesn't work
what's wrong?
does it work to you?
it's portable , it doesn't write registry or other files

A:why this software (don't sleep) doesn't work ?

You might want to ask the software developer why it might not work.
Relevancy 71.38%

I recently purchased this computer used. It has windows 7 ultimate (32-bit) and the computer is a custom build I think.
Anyway, the option to "sleep" is there, but non-selectable. I think I've encountered this before and I installed a driver or something and it was fine. Does anyone know what I have to do here? Also, the desktop themes are limited; I can't customize the aero window/taskbar theme..

Relevancy 71.38%

My Asus dvd-rom E616A3T works perfectly until s3 sleep. Upon waking up this drive shows up in My Computer just fine but refuses to play anything dvd or game until a restart then it plays perfectly again. I updated Asus' latest drivers and firmware for this drive and now i can actually see the name of the dvd in the drive (couldn't see the disc's name before updating the firmware) but still nothing plays until after a restart.

I'm hoping SP1 will fix this minor problem but all my minor glitches so far have been solved and i haven't got SP1 yet.

Relevancy 71.38%

I used to dual boot vista with xp and for the last couple of weeks I installed win7 and dual boot it with xp. I think win7 is a huge improvement on vista. One of the bugs I have noticed is that my machine won't stay in sleep mode. It has nothing to do with my Asus P5GD1 Pro mobo because it has never failed on xp or vista. I hope it gets fixed in the next release.

A:my baby doesn't sleep properly

lol jfar
metoo - what do you mean it won't stay in sleep mode, does it stay in for an amount of time or does it automatically wake up as soon as its gone into sleep mode?
Relevancy 71.38%

Hello everyone!
As the title suggests I have a bit of a predicament.
I have everything set to require a password after sleeping, but it refuses to do so.
I recent ran a program called safe exam browser (a quiz I needed to take for class said I needed it) and I think that messed with my computer. For example, for the longest time, sleep, hibernate, and switch user were not available on the shut down button. I fixed most of that, except switch user is greyed out and I can't figure out what to do to re-enable that either, but that's not the point of this post.
So that's my situation, I can upload pictures of my power plan if you'd like, but editing the pictures would be a pain.
I run Home Premium
Help me please  

A:Computer doesn't ask for a password after sleep

Try a System Restore prior to the addition of the safe exam browser.
Relevancy 71.38%

Ok First of, I have Hp pavilion, Windows vista Ultimate, the problem that i have is at random times my monitor goes to sleep mode and never does wake up, I get frustrated over this because I have to end up pressing and holding the power button down which is unsafe for my computer. Please help!! Thank you

A:Monitor goes to sleep and doesn't wake up

Usually if the monitor goes to sleep in means that there is not a video signal.  However, if holding the power button down on the monitor? will wake it then the issue is the monitor.  If you are holding down the power button on the PC then you have another issue.  Which power button are you holding down? What model PC and operating system are you using?
Relevancy 71.38%

Hello everyone!
As the title suggests I have a bit of a predicament.
I have everything set to require a password after sleeping, but it refuses to do so.
I recent ran a program called safe exam browser (a quiz I needed to take for class said I needed it) and I think that messed with my computer. For example, for the longest time, sleep, hibernate, and switch user were not available on the shut down button. I fixed most of that, except switch user is greyed out and I can't figure out what to do to re-enable that either, but that's not the point of this post.
So that's my situation, I can upload pictures of my power plan if you'd like, but editing the pictures would be a pain.
I run Home Premium
Help me please
Relevancy 71.38%

I've enabled AHCI within Vista properly and it works fine but it's just not restoring from an S3 sleep anymore, whereas it was before in IDE mode.

Are there any solutions about to this?

I'm running 32-bit vista home premium SP1 on a Gigabyte 965P-DS3 (rev 3.3)

Relevancy 71.38%

Hi I've recently been running into a problem -- I put my computer into sleep Computer from wake doesn't often sleep mode and then when I press the power button to wake the computer either the screen stays black and I have to do a forced reboot holding down the power button or it simply does a forced reboot automatically This doesn't happen all the time but I'd say probably of the time that I want to Computer often doesn't wake from sleep wake my computer from sleep and I haven't noticed a certain pattern of when it does and doesn't work It has only been happening the last month or so and has happened more often recently I got Computer often doesn't wake from sleep a new battery for my laptop about a month ago so that may have corresponded to when this problem started I can't remember I have an HP Compaq w laptop with Windows Professional -bit I have updated all the drivers already literally went through every device in Device Manager and tried finding updates for each and the issue is still happening What's the next step I should take Thanks in advance

A:Computer often doesn't wake from sleep

Is this your system?

Software & Driver Downloads HP Compaq 8710w Mobile Workstation - HP Customer Care (United States - English)

I only see Windows 2000 as a supported OS.
Relevancy 71.38%

During the day, if we leave the computer alone, screen goes black, after a while, fans turn off. Wireless mouse wakes it up just fine. Fans startup before the screen is completely ready to go.

During the night, the screen is dark, but the fans almost never stop.

A:Machine doesn't like to sleep at night

Is something running in the night like a full scan of your antivrus program?
Relevancy 71.38%

Every time I press the 'sleep' button on my keyboard my PC will go to sleep for maybe 10 seconds and then wakes right back up again. Even if I go through the start menu and select 'Stand By' it still doesn't work. There's no reason from what I can tell as to why it would be waking itself up on its own, so I was hoping maybe someone had an idea.

Details of my PC:
HP Pavilion a1020n ::: P4 ::: 3.06GHz ::: 504MB Ram
Relevancy 71.38%

Under power options, when set to anytime after 1 minute, the PC doesn't go to sleep when idle. The problem isn't the pc going to sleep; it does that no problem. It just ignores any time after 1 minute. Can anyone help out with this? I've been trying to figure this out for the past couple of days and it's really bugging me.

A:Windows 7 PC doesn't sleep properly

Try changing the setting from the "advanced power settings".
Relevancy 71.38%

Since I got my new computer setup (Quad and new mobo), when I put my computer to sleep, the fan stays running full bore.

Is this caused by the mobo setup? Or is there something I could change to fix this?

A:Computer doesn't fully sleep?

When the computer is in sleep mode - it is still on and the fan will run when needed to keep temperatures cool. Does it ever turn off after awhile?

I have seen some BIOS' that have a setting to adjust the fan speed when the PC is in sleep mode, have you been in the BIOS at all?
Relevancy 71.38%

Hi Could you please help me with this issue Basically whenever I want to put my PC to sleep or hibernate the monitor goes black but the computer keeps running I can doesn't Sleep work and hibernate hear at least Sleep and hibernate doesn't work one HDD power down but the rest of the hardware keeps going all the fans CPU GPU case lights etc I can try clicking the mouse buttons pushing some keys - nothing it will keep running until I reset it or cut the power off Also sometimes when I try to put it to sleep and it works the problem is that it doesn't stay asleep for too long and it turns on by itself after - mins I had suspected it was a messed up Windows but recently I also formatted my drive and installed a clean Windows and the issue is still there So I suspect either some program preventing sleep hibernate or a faulty hardware if it's possible because I really don't know how it works

A:Sleep and hibernate doesn't work

Hi. .
Perhaps try the following found here:
Please let us know what happens.
Relevancy 71.38%

This doesn't happen all the time but it stopped a while ago but started again recently. When I look at the screen really close I can see the log in screen but there is no back light. The computer still runs so I can plug it into another monitor and switch screen settings and restart it from there.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II N930 Quad-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 5 Stepping 3
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 4094 Mb
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6500M/5600/5700 Series, 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 476837 MB, Free - 10842 MB; E: Total - 99 MB, Free - 61 MB;
Motherboard: Acer, Aspire 7551
Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

A:Screen doesn't turn on after sleep

looks like the back light has gone and needs replacing
Relevancy 71.38%

I have a Dell desktop PC running Vista Home Premium with Service Pack

With a fresh boot boot, everything works and I can access my network (through a LAN cable that runs to a wired/wireless router).

When I have been away from the computer for a while I sometimes log in and find the network icon X'd and I have no access to my home network or Internet. I get "cable unplugged" when I run a diagnostic even though the cables are still in. All the cable connections are sound. Rebooting restores network and Internet access.

Sometimes I CAN log back on from screensaver mode without the problem -- other times I can't... and it seems that the longer I am away, the more likely the problem.

- could the "advanced power options" have something to do with it (currently on factory recommended with a 15min sleep)?

Any other ideas??

A:Computer doesn't connect after sleep

Even though it appears you're having the same problem, please start a new thread when you have a new issue. It's very difficult to keep two problems straight and who's working on what in a single thread.

I've created a new thread for your issue here.

Note: You will need to post complete details of your configuration and your specific issue in this new thread for us to help you.

Thanks for your cooperation.
Relevancy 71.38%

A Dell Dimension E521 is set to go to sleep after a while, but when I try to use it the only way to wake-up the PC is to press and hold the POWER switch on the front to reboot.

Any ideas? I know that others had this problem. The PC is running Vista 32-bit.

Relevancy 71.38%

I tried hibernate and it works fine, but for some reason sleep doesn't. Computer enters sleep mode but can't wake up from it without a restart, and then it goes into the menu asking if I want to try resuming again or delete session and start windows in a new session (not word for word).

This is off of a brand new install, legal CD that came with the computer and everything. Tried optimizing the computer for sleep mode through some tutorials and still haven't been successfull. If anyone would be able to lead me through a diagnostic to find whats wrong, and possibly find a way to solve this problem, I would be in your debt.

A:Sleep doesn't happen in my computer?

You should not be having this problem with a brand new computer

Assuming that your computer is under warranty -

I would suggest a duty of care applies even to volunteers assisting.

As I see it we volunteers should not be putting at risk the rights,YOU, the consumer has under that warranty...

Therefore I would strongly suggest that you should seek advice asap.
Relevancy 71.38%

I've cleaned the inside of my laptop and replaced the thermal paste but this time I turned it on and noticed the fan doesn't turn on, the screen works but it doesn't recognizes when I close it. I have took it apart multiple times trying to find any loose connections still nothing. I am running an Acer Aspire v3-551g Windows 7.
If posting a picture(low quality) would help I could also do that. Any help would help!

A:Fan not turning on and screen doesn't sleep

Hi and welcome to TSG.

Are you sure you connected the fan's cable to the motherboard ? I've forgotten to do that myself a few times so don't be offended !

If you mean closing the lid no longer does anything sometimes there is a magnet behind the screen bezel that activates a sensor on the motherboard for this. Or there could be an actual switch somewhere that is pushed down when the lid closes.

I would watch this Video carefully to see if you could have missed something when you re-assembled the laptop :-

Post the picture any way please, it might help.
Relevancy 71.38%

I searched the forums till I was blue in the face with no joy I'm hoping some kind soul here can help me My PC is two weeks old It's a P ghz dual core with gb ram and mb graphics card running Vista Home Premium with SP I had the PC for one week without net access The very day I had the broadband installed this problem started Every time it goes into sleep mode the entire system freezes up The monitor displays quot no signal quot I always keep numb lock on when this happens the indicator light is off until I touch the mouse or keybord the light comes back on then nothing I get nothing from the mouse or keyboard The only way out is do a manual restart When I first got online Windows had me do a large mb upgrade install Could this be behind it I'm at my wit's end here I would love any suggestion you choose to throw my way Thanks much

A:Doesn't come back from sleep mode.

600mb would be a service pack

have you installed sp2
Relevancy 71.38%

I set the hard drive to stop spinning after 4 hours of idle activity but it doesn't ever go to sleep. If I set the time interval to < 1 hour like 45 min then it will go to sleep.

I'm not talking about the computer going to sleep/hibernating, I mean the spinning of the hard drive.

A:Hard drive doesn't go to sleep

Sing it a lullaby.

Could you please fill out your System Specs?
System Info - See Your System Specs

Also, what are you using to set the sleep option?
Relevancy 71.38%

I've been having this problem for awhille -- approximately 30-50% of the time, when I put my computer in sleep mode and try waking it up, it simply doesn't wake up. I hear it turn on (fan starts running, etc.) but the screen is black (forced to hold down power button to reboot)...or it goes to the startup screen (but won't finish starting up -- have to hold down power button to reboot).

I have an HP Compaq 8710w laptop with Windows 7 Professional (32-bit).

Here is what I have done already to try to fix it:

-Updated drivers
-Tried turning off wireless before putting to sleep
-Changed power plan from "High Performance" to "Balanced".

No dice. Any other ideas?

A:Computer often doesn't wake from sleep

You can try to go to A computer that is running Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2 stops responding when you put the computer in sleep mode (S3) or resume the computer from the S3 mode and download hotfix to your computer.
Relevancy 70.52%

So pretty much what the title says.
I have it set to sleep after 30mins which it doesnt, and yet if i go to the start menu and choose sleep myself it will.
Any ideas why?

A:Windows Wont sleep unless i automatically put it in sleep

Hi Mitch.

You mean Manually put it to sleep.

This is my suggestion, go to Power Options, on your preferred power option, put it all to Never.
Then click Change Advance power options, browse the sleep option, Make sure to put the "Sleep After: to Never.

I have attached a picture for you to refer.
Relevancy 70.52%

About weeks ago i started having sleep issues It used to work perfect for over a year I other sleep sleep, screen Blank issues after and figured something went wrong and couldnt get sleep to work consistently Thought a reinstall might fix it Now on the new install about a week I am still having issues Sometimes the computer will wake in the middle of the night around am and other random times Also sometimes the Blank screen after sleep, and other sleep issues computer powers up when coming out of sleep but monitor doesnt come on I Blank screen after sleep, and other sleep issues installed the updated drivers for mobo video card And disabled the network from being able to wake the computer something I actually want on I also tested with stock speeds on mobo cpu Same issues have also tried stock with increased voltages No luck What should i do its driving me crazy I remember seeing a way to see a log of what caused computer to come out of sleep Since I just reminded myself I will go and check all connections inside computer

A:Blank screen after sleep, and other sleep issues

try this link it should help to explain

Sleep and hibernation: frequently asked questions
Relevancy 70.52%

I have a notebook connected to a monitor with external mouse/keyboard.

When I put the notebook to sleep via the Start menu or the keyboard, it is able to wake out of it by moving the mouse around or pressing a key.
However, when I create a shortcut to it for Windows Task Scheduler to enter Sleep at a certain time, it won't wake out of it unless I press the Power button on the notebook itself.

Why is this? Of course I have wake by USB or whatever enabled in the BIOS otherwise it wouldn't wake out of it in the first instance.
Here's what my shortcut targets "C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState"

So basically, I want a shortcut that puts my notebook into a lighter state of sleep that is able to be awoken by moving the mouse or pressing a key.

A:Sleep problem; Goes into deeper sleep w/shortcut

Hello KJ, and welcome to Seven Forums.

Disabling hibernation using METHOD ONE in the tutorial below should allow the sleep shortcut to work as sleep instead.

Hibernate - Enable or Disable

Hope this helps,
Relevancy 70.52%

Recently, I noticed that my battery have been draining quite fast while in sleep mode. I investigated the issue by turning off bluetooth, background apps, etc before sleep. There is no difference. I still loses like 20% of my battery in 8 hours. So, I typed powercfg /a in cmd to see if anything pops up, and i noticed that the only supported standby state is S0. It states, supported S0, hibernate, and fast startup. S1,S2,S3 are all not supported. Then, I read up some info on sleep states, and it appears that the s0 sleep state isn't actually sleeping, it is just the idle state. How do I change my sleep state and/or ultimately get rid of this massive battery drain when sleeping? I can't just hibernate because I have a SSD and it will use up sleep cycles. Thank you very much.
Relevancy 70.52%

Windows Home Premium SP Build Mobo Gigabyte M MT-S P AMD Phenom II X T Processor Mhz Cores I guess it is best to just explain the experience going it's of only sleep. Computer coming likely out as when reboots into sleep, I Computer reboots when coming out of sleep, likely only as it's going into sleep. am having In January Computer reboots when coming out of sleep, likely only as it's going into sleep. I purchased my first SSD drive promptly installed Windows on it to use as my boot drive I was very pleased with how quickly the system would come out of sleep so I've become accustomed to letting my computer go to sleep when previously I had disabled this feature On the th I got a new tower and transferred everything into there On the th I ran into a little anomaly with the Computer reboots when coming out of sleep, likely only as it's going into sleep. sleep function where I went to wake the system and the mouse light went from on to off and the system booted up to the POST screen From the POST screen I noticed that the SSD was missing from the detected devices so of course the system failed to boot I hit the reset button and the same thing happened I held down the power button to turn the PC off then immediately turned it back on and it was back to being detected I guess that since it was missing during that first boot the BIOS automatically set another drive as the boot drive since I had to go into the BIOS settings and correct the boot order Once this issue was fixed I get to the Windows boot screen and it freezes Reset again get past POST then Windows asks me if I want to resume my previous session or delete the resume and do a fresh boot Resume freezes new boot works fine So I'm back into Windows everything seems fine Some time later I changed my power settings so that the computer went to sleep after minutes instead of an hour Since this change the crashes from sleep happen more frequently Though I am not sure on this I think it is because I am more likely to come back to my computer after minutes than I am after an hour and I think the crashes are happening because I've tried to wake the system as it's trying to go to sleep Step out for a break come back in minutes and crash Go out for two hours come back and it wakes fine I think every now and then I by chance catch the system just as it is trying to sleep and there is some problem here that causes it to not handle this well but I don't know how to fix it All in all I believe this has happened maybe - times in the past days I've checked Event Viewer not a lot of info but this is what it says Log Name System Source EventLog Date PM Event ID Task Category None Level Error Keywords Classic User N A Computer CHASE-DESKTOP Description The previous system shutdown at PM on was unexpected Event Xml lt Event xmlns http schemas microsoft com win events event gt lt System gt lt Provider Name EventLog gt lt EventID Qualifiers gt lt EventID gt lt Level gt lt Level gt lt Task gt lt Task gt lt Keywords gt x lt Keywords gt lt TimeCreated SystemTime - - T Z gt lt EventRecordID gt lt EventRecordID gt lt Channel gt System lt Channel gt lt Computer gt CHASE-DESKTOP lt Computer gt lt Security gt lt System gt lt EventData gt lt Data gt PM lt Data gt lt Data gt lt Data gt lt Data gt lt Data gt lt Data gt lt Data gt lt Data gt lt Data gt lt Data gt lt Data gt lt Data gt lt Data gt lt Binary gt DE C F B DE C B C C lt Binary gt lt EventData gt lt Event gt And Log Name System Source Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power Date PM Event ID Task Category Level Critical Keywords User SYSTEM Computer CHASE-DESKTOP Description The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first This error could be caused if the system stopped responding crashed or lost power unexpectedly Event Xml lt Event xmlns http schemas microsoft com win events event gt lt System gt lt Provider Name Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power Guid C B A- - C -AC E- C D B gt lt EventID gt lt EventID gt lt Version gt lt Version... Read more

A:Computer reboots when coming out of sleep, likely only as it's going into sleep.

SSD and sleep sometimes doesn't mix to well. There might be a fix from the vendor. A good read here on your same issue to give you an idea why.
SSD's boot so fast in my opinion it's kind of pointless to have sleep or hibernation. I would be sure to turn off all that garbage...sleep, hibernation, defrag, HD indexing, HD paging, Windows Search service etc. Hibernation alone uses like 10g's of hd space. Windows places a hidden file called hiberfil.sys on C: To turn it off go to cmd.exe run as admin and type powercfg -h off. Hiberfil.sys will vanish from the drive and you will regain hd space. HD paging, again take control of that and turn it off completely or limit it's useage to like 400-2048 depending on how much memory the system has. Hope that helps you out.
Relevancy 70.52%

My computer appears to sleep or at least put the monitor into sleep mode. Also, I have my keyboard/mouse plugged into an unpowered hub and they sometimes lose connection and I have to replug them. I had an issue with libusb and 64-bit so I removed it. It's a custom build with:OS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64Motherboard: MS-7599CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955Memory: Don't remember (6gb triple channel kit DDR3 from newegg in december)Graphics: MSI Radeon 3450I've tried managing every power setting possible to no avail.Here is a snapshot of my event viewer: help would be great!
Relevancy 70.52%

When I take my laptop out of sleep mode, the fan runs non-stop. I touch the computer and it's cold all over. This only happens after taking it out of sleep mode, not hibernation, lock, or startup. How can I fix this?

Windows Vista Ultimate
Toshiba Satellite a100 PSAA8C-0FH00E

Relevancy 70.52%

My computer doesn't stay in sleep mode when I put it there. After a variable amount of time (usually less than 2 hours), it wakes up without any stimulus. It will also immediately wake up if I turn off (off only, not on) a peripheral device such as the moniter or speakers. I would like to have both problems fixed, but most important is the first example (wakes up without anything done). It does this even attached to different peripherals (changed keyboard, mouse, speakers).

To be clear, I put the computer to sleep by myself. The settings don't allow the computer to do so by itself.
Thanks for your help!

A:Computer doesn't stay in sleep mode

Make sure this is set to disable.

Also, check your bios for anything that will allow it to wake from sleep and disable it.
Relevancy 70.52%

Hey all,

I noticed that my computer automatically enters sleep mode perfectly well at times, and others not so well. Over time, my suspicion has come to rest upon an opened app preventing sleep... more specifically the iHeartRadio app. I haven't proved it, but there is more than just coincidence that my computer seems to know when it is open. Does anyone else experience this with any opened apps, or is my computer being disobedient?

Appreciate the comments!

A:Computer doesn't sleep when app is opened phenomenon

Hi Dusty,
seems logical to me that comp wont sleep with this app open.
Its an "always on" type app, as the radio signal is always broadcasting, and therfore being picked up by your comp .
one of svchost services is over-riding the sleep mode, because of the above.

Relevancy 70.52%

My Yoga 500 ISK would sometimes not wake up from sleep.I mean, I can see the computer is working, I can hear it, but the screen is black and unresponsive. What happens is that I either leave it on and it goes to sleep on its own within 15 mins, or put it to sleep via start>power>sleep - it doesn't matter. Sometimes I press the power button and it wakes up fine, but sometime I get the black screen. My computer is up to date on the latest BIOS update (from today), Both Intel and nVidia graphics drivers are up to date, and in my power settings, my hard drive is set to not turn off ever. Does anyone know a solution to this problem??

A:Yoga 500 ISK Doesn't wake up from sleep properly -...

Hi there, I own the same model and I believe I have the same issue. Also I find booting up to be painfully slow. It gives me so much Apple Mac envy. I am almost certain the issue is with regard to the HDD itself, the WDC WD10S21X-24R1BT0-SSHD-8GB. It is used in many of the new-ish lenovo laptops including the Y50 touchscreen gaming computer. Many customers have complained about the SSHD, google that long model and you'll see loads of complaints on forums. I intend to open up my Yoga 500 ISK and replace the SSHD with what should be in there - an SSD. I shall let you know how I get on! Harry
Relevancy 70.52%

Hello my computer an w HP laptop doesn t play doesn't mode work Sound after sleep sound after returning from sleep mode didn t test with hibernation but would suspect similar The computer Sound doesn't work after sleep mode thinks it is and shows everything is well when checking the device manager and testing sound it will show the volume output for the played sound So I m curious if anyone has any ideas as to how this works Now I may have solved my problem or learned more about it when I did the following Rightclicked on the speaker icon gt Playback Devices gt Opened Speakers gt Advanced tab gt Changed the sound quality I got a message saying another program was using the speakers at the moment and asked me if I wanted to stop it I said yes and the sound began working again as normal I then got a message from S proxy I believe which is either something I don t know of or its part of the Saver program for pandora Anyway that s what I know any thoughts nbsp

A:Sound doesn't work after sleep mode

After looking into this a bit I found a few people were able ot solve this problem by disabling Driver Level Enhancements.
- Go into the Sound Properties, and click the "Enhancements" properties.

I hope this helps!

Brett M,
Windows Outreach Team
Relevancy 70.52%

I tried many different variations and nothing seems to work. I also have a problem with my usb headset keeping the computer awake as well but override command on it doesn't work either. Am i doing something wrong with this command? -REQUESTSOVERRIDE Process "IDMan.exe" SYSTEMpowercfg -REQUESTSOVERRIDE Process "IDMan.exe"powercfg -REQUESTSOVERRIDE Process IDMan.exe

A:Sleep issues, override doesn't work

Hi Zexeta If you go in your Device Manager, right-click on your headset and select Properties, you'll have a tab called Power Management. Under it, there's an option called Allow this device to wake computer. Simply uncheck it and this should solve your issue
Relevancy 70.52%

Hello nbsp I'm the owner of computer Keyboard sleep wake from up doesn't an EliteBook p running under Windows Professional bits Edition nbsp I started the installation from scratch with a driver-empty Windows I've downloaded the drivers separately on the HP Support Website nbsp Everything is running fine but when I put my computer Keyboard doesn't wake up computer from sleep to sleep normal stand-by Keyboard doesn't wake up computer from sleep mode I am unable to wake it up from the keyboard keys or trackpad buttons The only way I can wake it up is by pressing the Power Button Then it wakes up normally and I go back to the Windows login screen nbsp Is it possible to wake up this computer by pressing a key instead of the power button I don't want to press it too often For example on my old Acer Aspire pressing a key wakes up the computer instantly Also I have no Allow this device to wake up computer option in my Device Manager I can't find this option in the BIOS neither Can you wake your HP Notebook computer by pressing the keyboard Is there a way to do that on EliteBooks nbsp Thanks and sorry for my mistakes English is not my mother language

A:Keyboard doesn't wake up computer from sleep

If you have an external display, it will stop the computer from waking. Disconnect display port cable and try again.Also, check your drivers so that Power Mgmt. allows mouse or keyboard to wake system. I have found these issues effect my HP 8460P as well as HP 2540P. Also, make sure that the BIOS allows USB to wake system.
Relevancy 70.52%

Hi all,

When I click the sleep button my computer seems to go into sleep mode successfully however when I hit a keyboard key or wiggle the mouse to wake it the tower fans & motherboard lights switch on but there is no picture or sound from my monitor. I have to hit the reset button which does a dirty reboot before I can get back to the desktop.

I'm fed up of having to do a full shutdown/restart of my computer everytime I go away to do something!

Please find my computer details here: removed due to sensitive info.

If you need any other information, please ask.

Thanks in advance,

A:Sleep Mode Doesn't Wake Up Properly...

Hi please do 2 things first remove the dropbox link (I will do that)as you have posted sensitive info ie serial number you can repost with that removed,the other is check your power settings
Relevancy 70.52%

I just got a new HP desktop, and a wireless router to put into the USB port. It worked perfectly after initial install with the drivers, but after coming back from sleep, it does not see the adapter, and I have to re install the drivers to get it to work. If I shut down the system, then turn it back on, the adapter works perfectly. I believe there is a simple setting to fix this? Any and all help is appreciated!

A:Computer doesn't see wireless adapter after sleep

What is the model of the computer and the adapter?
Relevancy 70.52%

Hi there I ve been having some issues with Vista on my computer lately so before I forget here is the info from this site s SysInfo application Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Vista amp Home Premium Service Pack bit Processor Intel R Core TM Duo CPU T GHz Intel Always this when to Doesn't Vista occurs Have Sleep: Reboot Family Vista Doesn't Always Sleep: Have to Reboot when this occurs Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce M G Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard alienware Antivirus None Please do not comment on this Here s the problem I ve been having Sometimes when I attempt to have my laptop sleep either by going into the shutdown menu or closing the lid the computer does not actually sleep it simply shuts of the display and leaves everything else running I m not sure it is actually shutting off the display since after this occurs I am unable to get the display to show anything unless I turn the computer off This problem does not happen of the time it probably only happens once every or times The problem does not occur if I simply let the computer run until it goes into sleep mode which isn t helpful if I want to go to sleep myself since the lights on my laptop are so excessively bright which is ironically the only time this problem ever occurs I have tried a few solutions such as setting the multimedia options to allow the computer to sleep which thank you oh so very much vista was set to prevent the computer from sleeping I ve tried unplugging the laptop after the problem occurs to see if it will go into sleep mode properly but this does nothing but cause my battery to run out while I m asleep I ve tried using the shutdown menu to put it into sleep which failed miserably Right now I m trying a work-around solution I went into power mode and set it so that my laptop won t do anything different if I close the lid while the power cord is in I ll just have to make sure the light doesn t keep me up Thanks for reading I look forward to your advice druindo nbsp

A:Vista Doesn't Always Sleep: Have to Reboot when this occurs

OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista&#8482; Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bitClick to expand...

Not to get off the subject here, but is there a reason why you haven't upgraded Windows Vista to SP2 which was released in May 2009?

Relevancy 70.52%

I recently built a new computer All is awesome Only one thing urks me When I put the computer into sleep when I am going to step away from it for an extended period of time sleep does not shut off the fans as well So in essence the computer is still running just without a display Its possible it may simply be running a low powered mode with only minimal power going to the processor and the Mobo is simply keeping the fans running There is no way to really identify if that is the case though and I do not want my fans running all the time The mother board I am using is the EVGA FTW put sleep. the Solved: to New into like computer doesn't motherboard x I noticed my brother has the same issue and he is running the Classified version of the EVGA x boards I was wondering is this just a safety precaution EVGA uses and is specific to them or is there a way to configure the board computer to make the computer go into the sleep mode I want it to Solved: New motherboard doesn't like to put the computer into sleep. achieve I have searched the bios high and low and cannot find this option The user manual does not say much about this either Note I am very well versed in what is listed in my bios Thanks for any info Solved: New motherboard doesn't like to put the computer into sleep. you guy may be able to provide nbsp

A:Solved: New motherboard doesn't like to put the computer into sleep.
Relevancy 70.52%

It has recently started that while i am playing games like Mass Effect 2 and League of Legends after 15 or so minutes of playing the screen goes black, displays that it is going to sleep, and then stops responding. To fix this i have to restart my computer completely.I am running windows seven. I have run malware and virus scans of my computer and nothing has come up, so i'm not sure where to go from here.
Relevancy 70.52%

I noticed about a week ago that my system won't go to sleep unless I force it to sleep using the using the Function and F buttons on the keyboard I also noticed about the same time that I tried to set it to use the ribbon screen saver and that doesn't work either The screen saver looks fine in preview but it won't start up on it's own I tried working through the quot Won't restore work sleep; doesn't system Vista sleep problems quot tutorial that was posted in a previous thread but none of that Won't sleep; system restore doesn't work helped I also tried doing a system restore several times and each time I get a window telling me that quot system restore did not complete successfully becasue system restore couldn't access a file probably due to anti-virus software An unspecified error occured during system restore x quot I've tried disabling Norton Anti Virus and running system restore -- same result The rest of my system seems to be running Won't sleep; system restore doesn't work fine and I really don't want to get into advanced recovery methods or doing a full restore of Windows if I don't have to I don't know if this would matter but I did install a second internal HDD It's not in any kind of RAID configuration or anything I use it to capture store video footage and I keep backup copies of several personal folders on it I think sleep was working for a time after I installed the second drive Any advice to get sleep to function again Thanks Thanks

A:Won't sleep; system restore doesn't work

Try running SFC, might be a corrupt dll.