Windows Support Forum

Copy entire user profile to external hard drive

Q: Copy entire user profile to external hard drive

Okay here is the story My laptop has a ton of valuable information on it recently my Norton protection ran out and was unable to renew it Well somebody hacked my system and now I have a ton of viruses trojans and malware So I was still able to use my Copy to drive external profile user entire hard PC for internet usage and my music still played in Windows Media Player So all in all my laptop still worked Now today I go to turn on my laptop and it will not boot up at all I can t even system restore or repair it with windows repair However I do need to back up my files and since my hard drive is what is wrong in the first place I think it might be better instead of copying the entire hard drive to my terabyte external hard drive if it would make more sense just to copy my entire user profile onto my external I am wondering if this is possible i have heard of LiveCD s and Parted Magic from this forum But I am wondering if I can just back up all of my files that way If I can back up all of my files like that I might save money instead of taking to a repairman and just fix it myself So is it possible to copy and back-up the entire user profile of a laptop that will not boot up to an external hard drive Basically I want to copy the entire contents of my User Profile on Vista onto an external drive so I can use my reboot CD to reboot my laptop without losing any of my files and folders or Copy entire user profile to external hard drive anything for that Copy entire user profile to external hard drive matter I figure the best way to do that would be to copy the user profile so all the contents of that profile would go onto my external Then I reboot my computer and put Copy entire user profile to external hard drive the User Profile back on Simple nbsp

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Copy entire user profile to external hard drive

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Copy entire user profile to external hard drive

Have you tried a repair install? If that is possible that will leave your files intact.. It is a good idea to back on a regular basis anyway.

The other possibility is connecting your hard drive as a slave drive on another pc.

If the repair install is not possible there are a number of ways using boot cd's to access your data.

Here is one solution that is free and should do what you want
http://www.paragon-software.com/home/rk-express/

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/copy-entire-user-profile-to-external-hard-drive.169549/
Relevancy 86.43%

I just reinstalled Windows 7 and it moved all my files to a folder called Windows.old.
I reinstalled Outlook and copied back my AppData > Local > Microsoft > Outlook folder, but when I launch Outloo, there is nothing! What do I need to do?!

A:How do I copy my ENTIRE outlook profile?

You need to import the items from the old outlook.pst file. This will restore everything.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-do-i-copy-my-entire-outlook-profile.995629/
Relevancy 86.43%

I just reinstalled Windows 7 and it moved all my files to a folder called Windows.old.
I reinstalled Outlook and copied back my AppData > Local > Microsoft > Outlook folder, but when I launch Outloo, there is nothing! What do I need to do?!

A:How do I copy my ENTIRE outlook profile?

1. Open Outlook.
2. File > Import. (If Outlook 2010, File > Open > Import)
3. Choose Import from another program or file
4. Choose Outlook Data File (.pst)
5. Browse to said PST file (would be in the folder you named in your original post)
6. Continue.
7. Done.

ANOTHER OPTION;

1. Open your account settings
2. Choose Data tab
3. Click ADD
4. Browse to your data file
5. Choose your newly added data file and make it the default.
6. Restart.

Should be set. Let me know if you're not.

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/161861-how-do-i-copy-my-entire-outlook-profile.html
Relevancy 86%

Very frustrated as I already found an answer to this once but did not record the procedure. Now I need to do it on another computer. Argh!

Using Win8.1. Logged in with admin level account. Trying to change user account picture by browsing to custom folder located on under C:\Windows. Windows does not show all folders. Even shortcut to folder on my desktop cannot be seen when browsing desktop.

I believe fix previously found was a REGEDIT hack, but no matter how I google, I cannot find it again.

Thanks for any help.

Cheers

A:Cannot browse entire hard drive to change user account pic

Hello Frustrated, and welcome to Eight Forums.

If you like, add that folder to your Pictures library. It should then be available to browse to and select.

Library - Add a Folder to in Windows 8

User Account Picture - Change in Windows 8

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/45463-cannot-browse-entire-hard-drive-change-user-account-pic.html
Relevancy 85.57%

I just reinstalled Windows 7 and it moved all my files to a folder called Windows.old.I reinstalled Outlook and copied back my AppData > Local > Microsoft > Outlook folder, but when I launch Outloo, there is nothing! What do I need to do?!

A:How do I copy my ENTIRE outlook profile back?

Search for a file named outlook.pst - you should find two - one in windows.old and one in W7. Overwrite the new one with the old one.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/396121/how-do-i-copy-my-entire-outlook-profile-back/
Relevancy 85.14%

I have a friend who has a Pentium 900, and has a 40 gig hard drive that is almost full and he just bought a 60 gig hard drive.
He wants to know how or if you can copy everything you have on the 40 to the 60.
He is running windows ME, is this something that can be done and if so what are the steps or instructions for doing this?

Regards,
Dan

Relevancy 82.13%

This is the situation, basically my laptop just died but the hrd drive is fine so i added it to my desktop and everything is fine and i can acess all the files but i was wondering if there was any way to add the user from my laptop to the login on my desktop and if so how?

A:How can i add a user profile from another hard drive

Still waiting for a reply

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/256514-how-can-i-add-user-profile-another-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 81.27%

Hi, I'm trying to copy a "dummy" admin profile in Win7 that i have specificly created and configured to the default user profile but the copy to... option is greyed out.
Any help would be greately appreciated.
Thanks.

Relevancy 79.98%

Hey guys. I need help:

A file in my System 32 was corrupt and it prompted me to recover my PC, my previous User profiles were deleted and I expected that all my files would be deleted as well. But that wasn't the case. My files are still on my Hard drive, but I can't access them, since my user profile is gone.

Is there a way I can recover my User profile or it's contents?

A:Complicated Hard drive/User profile problem

do you have a folder with your old user name in the documents and settings folder?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/complicated-hard-drive-user-profile-problem-343912.html
Relevancy 79.98%

Help Please Combofix has deleted quarantined the entire user profile folder contents inc desktop amp my docs data Yesterday th Feb approx hrs GMT we ran combofix on a suspected infected computer It had AVG cloudcare we disabled the realtime scanner until restart We then downloaded combofix direct has docs the profile user desktop data Combofix inc my HELP deleted entire from bleepingcomputer Combofix run did its normal stuff HELP Combofix has deleted the entire user profile inc desktop my docs data then we noticed it was DELETING what we have found to be EVERYTHING in the users c users username folder to the point when the computer rebooted it re-created the appdata folders etc etc like a new user was logging into a new PC There is HELP Combofix has deleted the entire user profile inc desktop my docs data a URL that might help here but its quite old and it was for WinXP Does anyone know if the same can be run for Win And more importantly has anyone had this same experience recently URL http www bleepingcomputer com forums t combofix-problems-and-resolution-for-legitimate-files-being-deleted It might just be that this computer is heavily infected and all the profile files are genuinely infected with something I am fully aware that bleepingcomputer recommend backing up before running this but I've used this - times at least and never ever had this happen We are also aware that the deleted files are put in C QooBox the original path and have the extension vir added to the file name and original file extension So you can of course without the EXE mentioned in the above URL article just remove the vir to potentially thousands of files using a script and all should be ok again but ideally we would like to run the tool as this appears to set security permissions etc as well If anyone can help with ref to how this possibly happened i e all files are actually infected or if this was another bug like what happened a few years back as per URL that would be very very much appreciated

A:HELP Combofix has deleted the entire user profile inc desktop my docs data

Before anything, I'd recommend you to upload a few of the deleted files to http://www.virustotal.com so we can have a look if they were infected or not.It would also be helpful if you could zip up and attach c:\combofix.txtAs for precautions, its clearly stated you should run Combofix only under expert guidance, if you choose not to do that then you risk problems like the one you are describing unfortunately.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/565768/help-combofix-has-deleted-the-entire-user-profile-inc-desktop-my-docs-data/
Relevancy 79.98%

Changing entire ownership of entire hard drive any risks etc ?

I am using method of

Right click entire hdd

Properties
Security
Advanced
Change owner
Advanced
Find now

Name - In Folder
Users - Computername(mine is for example Furkan)
Ok this makes me even able to enter inside of System Volume Information folder

Can this cause any problems in future?

For example if i format windows can i still access these harddisks without any problem ?

Are there any details, detailed information, article about ownership of files / folders on windows 8 ?

ty very much

Windows 8.1 x64
Also changing windows having driver - boot driver ownership from Trustedinstaller to user would cause any problem ?

A:Changing entire ownership of entire hard drive any risks e

When I took ownership of C:\ There were numerous popups saying it was unable to take ownership of various folders & subfolders.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/52912-changing-entire-ownership-entire-hard-drive-any-risks-e.html
Relevancy 79.12%

As of today in our domain environment consisting of Windows and Windows Enterprise machines we are experiencing the quot User Profile service failed the sign-in - User profile cannot be loaded quot error message whenever a user tries to login This only affects users new to the particular machine If they have signed on before and already have Default service 8 User Profile loaded. be Profile Profile sign-in Win Environment Domain in Corrupt The failed User 7 the User Win cannot and - a cached account the computer logs them in with no issue This is occurring on both Win and Win machines We are an academic institution so this is becoming a huge problem in our labs Students generally use different computers so this is popping up very frequently I have a solution for the issue It appears that on the non-working machines that the quot Default quot user profile is corrupt I have discovered that if I find a machine Win or Win doesn't matter that is allowing first time users to logon I can copy the quot Default quot user profile and replace the corrupt one I must first permanently delete the corrupt profile before copying over the new one Corrupt Default User Profile in Domain Environment - The User Profile service failed the sign-in User Profile cannot be loaded. Win 8 and Win 7 I am doing this over the network by navigating the C users folder Even this way is becoming cumbersome though as we have over computer in labs I have googled and googled and I keep seeing the same answers offering various solutions none which are any more practical than my method I cannot find information on a cause or a reason of why this would just crop up out of nowhere I suspect maybe a Windows update but I cannot verify that yet If anyone can offer any advice share a possible patch it would be much appreciated Thanks nbsp

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/5a617fa3-ddbe-49a2-af23-e68fd6b015a3/corrupt-default-user-profile-in-domain-environment-the-user-profile-service-failed-the-signin?forum=w8itprogeneral
Relevancy 79.12%

I have to replace my hard drive and want to copy all the stuff on my existing hard drive to an external. When I try I get an error message saying that the ntuser.dat is in use or copy prtected. How do I get round this please

A:Copy to external hard drive

OK. open MY COMPUTER.
OPEN C
then copy folder by folder the new drive EXCEPT c:\windows
and the files located c:\ like c:\pagefile.sys c:\boot.ini... etc OK?
if you are looking for a complete backup like "ghost" or "image" then you will need software. data backup software on any retail website will give you an idea. btw does your new external drive come with a cd for software? you may already have a program to help you, check it out.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/copy-to-external-hard-drive-345077.html
Relevancy 79.12%

Hello,

Recently I have run into a problem while trying to use my external hard drive. (a 2 TB Seagate model, requiring external power) When I try to copy anything onto it, the process never finishes - it just stalls at a point. It then affects the rest of my laptop, slowing everything else down. I can't even log out in this situation.

I viewed my hard drive state using Defraggler, and under "Disk Health" it says "Error". Under the "Health" tab, it has marked "Reallocated Sector Count" in Red.

That is all I have been able to ascertain until now. Anyone have any ideas as to what the problem is?

A:Can't copy to external hard drive

From what I searched on the web this is what I've found:

Reallocated Sectors Count

Count of reallocated sectors. When the hard drive finds a read/write/verification error, it marks that sector as "reallocated" and transfers data to a special reserved area (spare area). This process is also known as remapping, and reallocated sectors are called "remaps". The raw value normally represents a count of the bad sectors that have been found and remapped. Thus, the higher the attribute value, the more sectors the drive has had to reallocate. This allows a drive with bad sectors to continue operation; however, a drive which has had any reallocations at all is significantly more likely to fail in the near future.[2] While primarily used as a metric of the life expectancy of the drive, this number also affects performance. As the count of reallocated sectors increases, the read/write speed tends to become worse because the drive head is forced to seek to the reserved area whenever a remap is accessed. A workaround which will preserve drive speed at the expense of capacity is to create a disk partition over the region which contains remaps and instruct the operating system to not use that partition.

This basically means that there is some physical damage to your hard drive platters. when a sector is bad or has gone bad, it can never be used again, which in return means over time it may get worse and you lose more hard drive space. This is the beginning of a hard drive that is failing. If the external drive is still under warranty, call Seagate and they will send you out another drive under the warranty. If it is out of warranty, simple go buy another hard drive, prefereably the same size...try and get the data off the bad drive and then move it over to the new drive and install that drive in the external Seagate Enclosure.

Good Luck

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-copy-to-external-hard-drive.1092110/
Relevancy 78.69%

Hi,

My Fujitsu Amilo Li1705 laptop has been reaching full capacity (80gb) for a while so I decided to get a new hard drive.

I've updated the RAM from 1gb to 2gb with no problem.

My hard drive has arrived but with no cables, instructions etc. and searching the web has proved just as unfruitful as most sites refer to external hard drives.

I don't have an external disc so was wondering if there's any way of copying everything over. I've heard of temporarily taking the CD drive out to have the two drives at once but wouldn't know where to start.

Any help/ instructions would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Dale

A:Replacing Fujitsu hard drive - how to copy without external drive?

Obviously you did not build a Recovery Disc originally?

You can just order a Recovery Disc from HERE

If your machine is not supported, then then sometimes the Fujitsu forum members will help, at Their Forum

That's 3 ways of getting your Recovery media. I hope it helps

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/replacing-fujitsu-hard-drive-how-to-copy-without-external-drive.138958/
Relevancy 78.26%

Hello Last year my computer hard drive crashed and a friend helped recover our files and cloaned everything onto a hard drive he had on hand about gb Well this week the hard drive suddenly became full can't back Created, Full- one get Temp old Profile Hard Drive User and the comp went from working perfectly to well not I woke up one morning to find that it wouldnt open any files programs etc because disk was too full I rebooted cause that fixes everything right and it wouldnt load my user profile it said it was loading a temporary profile because my disk was too full to load mine This temp profile is very generic no internet or programs loaded and obviously none of my personal files I was able to find my files by going through quot my computer quot and finding them somehow so I know they are there Anyway I ve deleted programs and files not easy when it wont DO anything and free d up some space The problem now Hard Drive Full- Temp User Profile Created, can't get old one back is I can not get my original profile back I thought once there was enough space on the hard drive it would just come back after a reboot but it doesnt There is one user profile who i m on now that remained intact Wierd So the big question is HOW DO I RESTORE MY ORIGINAL PROFILE

A:Hard Drive Full- Temp User Profile Created, can't get old one back

no one can help?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/371303/hard-drive-full-temp-user-profile-created-cant-get-old-one-back/
Relevancy 78.26%

So I recently moved from XP to files Can't external hard drive copy from Before I did this I created a backup of some Can't copy files from external hard drive files on my XP box and copied it to an external hard drive Now that I'm on Windows I've learned that there is really no way to directly restore the backup So I have restored it onto a Vista box and copied the rehydrated files back onto the external hard drive Now I just want to copy the files from the external hard drive to the main hard drive on my Windows box However when I do this I get the following warning for some but not most folders quot You'll need to provide administrator permission to copy this folder quot My options are Continue Skip and Cancel First off I am an administrator Can't copy files from external hard drive on this box so I don't understand why it's asking my this Secondly if I choose Continue it tells me that the folder I'm copying over already exists in the destination What The system is in the middle of copying it Why is it asking me this So I just tell it to proceed but then it tells me the same thing about a few particular files and asks me if I want to overwrite them or ignore them I usually say overwrite because they shouldn't be there yet Anyway by the time the whole thing is done the destination folder is actually BIGGER and has more files than the same freaking folder on the drive I was copying from How is that possible What is going on here Why does a simple copy operation not work anymore

A:Can't copy files from external hard drive

The copy function in Win7 works very well - trust me. When you did your copy operation, the system apprently found files/folders by the same name that already existed on your system. E.g. if you copy a folder named "Music", the system will note that there is already such a folder that comes with the system. But very often those are system files like .ini that are on both the target and the source.
If your folder got bigger, you'll have to look what the additions are. Hard to tell from here what might have happened.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/73495-cant-copy-files-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 78.26%

I wish to copy my laptop HD (all apps., programs etc.) to an external HD then replace the laptop hd with the external HD for upgrade purposes (80gb to 160gb). I'm seeking the best method for doing this. I've tried using the Microsoft feature (ntbackup.exe) but it doesn't seem to work for me. Any help is appreciated.

Relevancy 77.83%

My user profile became corrupted after years of problem-free usage no clue why so now I to (after new user copy user profile Cannot data ) folder corrupted always end up in a temporary account after a reboot As per Microsoft's instructions I found here Fix a corrupted user profile - Windows Help I created a new account logged out and logged in again using another account Cannot copy user data to new user folder (after profile corrupted ) not the newly created one tried to copy the data from the account that had its user profile corrupted to the new account However under C Users the user folder I want to copy from is a white generic icon not a folder and it Cannot copy user data to new user folder (after profile corrupted ) is padlocked and has a size of KB - so I can't open it to copy from Looking at how much data is on C it looks as if all my data could still be there I hope How could I get access to copy all data from my old account into the new account Many thanks in advance for some hints as to what to do

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/380166-cannot-copy-user-data-new-user-folder-after-profile-corrupted.html
Relevancy 77.4%

When I try to copy a 5 gig (avi) file to my Seagate hard drive it says there is not enough room. There is at least 65 gigs free. I have tried defragging the drive but it still won't let me do it. I copied a 2 gig file with no problem. Any ideas?

Relevancy 77.4%

I completely reinstalled my Win XP OS and i saved my "necessary" files(music, videos. etc...) to an external hard drive but i accidentally encrypted them and now i have to figure out how to decrypt them so i can copy them to my new OS.

When i try to just uncheck the "Encrypt contents to secure data" box i get the error:

An error occurred applying attributes to the file:

xxxxxxxxx.xxx

Access is denied.
How do i fix this. :-(

Relevancy 77.4%

[SOS] How can I copy files to External Hard Drive? (MS-DOS Invalid Function)

Please check the following link:

http://www.eightforums.com/general-d...-function.html

It is miserable that I met the same problem that he met.

"Invalid MS-DOS function" window is pop out when I tried to copy files to the external drive.

How can I solved it

I have spent about 3 days but I still can't solve it .
My External Drive : Buffalo HD-LBU2

A:[SOS] How can I copy files to External Hard Drive? (MS-DOS Invalid Fun

hi Pufferine,

well it is not a bug, since for me it works perfectly. Do you copy via Task scheduler?

Anyway be sure you do it as Administrator to avoid some problems.

Jeff

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/3795-sos-how-can-i-copy-files-external-hard-drive-ms-dos-invalid-fun.html
Relevancy 77.4%

when trying to copy audio files to an external hard drive, getting error "Are you sure you want to copy this file without its properties?"
I have many audio folders. Some of the folders copy ok, others do not. I researched this somwhat and the explanation I found was incmpatabilities going from NTFS to FAT. So what can I do to change the NTFS folder on my computer so that the properties are compatable with the Flashdrive? I have tried reformatting the i-flash drive in NTFS but it then could no longer be read by the iPhone software (i-easy Drive).

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forum/helproom-1/copy-audio-files-external-hard-drive-4604738/
Relevancy 76.97%

I'm creating a new user profile and I want to have the same settings as an existing user account (desktop environment, etc.). Is there an easy way to just copy these old settings from the existing user account or must they all be manually netered and configured again for the new user account?

Relevancy 76.54%

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone knows how to use cmd.exe to copy all the files in 'My Documents' to an external hard drive? I am using Windows XP professional.

My computer has got some sort of virus so when I try to log on I only see the background picture, all the icons are gone and I can't access the start menu. I can't even open Windows in safe mode. The only thing that works is cmd.exe that I can access from the safe mode menu.

I need to retrieve my files from My Documents so I am hoping it is possible to use cmd.exe for that? I have never used cmd.exe before so I don't know any codes.

Any help would be really appreciated!!

/ Anna

A:[SOLVED] using cmd.exe to copy files from 'My Documents' to an external hard drive

Press ctrl-alt-del. Does task manager show up? If so, go to the processes tab. Scroll down. Do you see explorer.exe anywhere? If yes, select it, then pick end process. Then click on file, new task, and type explorer. See if that starts Windows Explorer that way.

If that doesn't work, start the command prompt (any way you can - my suggested way is ctrl-alt-del to get task manager, then file, new task, and type cmd)

Depending on where you're at you have to get to your my documents folder.
Whereever your current directory is, type
cd \Documents and Settings\youruserid\My Documents
(don't forget the backslash before documents)
You should be in your my documents folder.
Now go to your other drive, whatever letter it might be - for example D: by typin
D:
then make a directory - we'll name it backup in our example
md backup
switch to that directory
cd backup
and switch back to C:
c:
then run the xcopy command.
xcopy *.* /e /h d:
that says to copy all files (*.*) and folders and subfolders (/e) including system and hidden files (/h) to d: (notice it's d: and not d:\ - because we want to copy to the current working directory on d:, which is backup).

Naturally for all this to work, you have to make sure your flash drives gets detected in safe mode, which I'm not sure as I'm not sure all plug-and-play devices are accessible in safe mode.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-using-cmd-exe-to-copy-files-from-my-documents-to-an-external-hard-drive-318271.html
Relevancy 76.54%

When I copy a file to External Hard Drive, then this error. How can I copy?
I tried on Windows 7, everything is ok.

A:How can I copy files to External Hard Drive? (MS-DOS Invalid Function)

It may be a bug if it works in 7 and not in 8. Does this error crop up with any file or only with this particular file? If its very file, then its a problem with the external. If it isnt, then its a problem with the particular file. Backup the data on the external, then run chkdsk on it.

How to use CHKDSK (Check Disk) - Windows 7

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/2684-how-can-i-copy-files-external-hard-drive-ms-dos-invalid-function.html
Relevancy 76.11%

Hello! Because I have an old compact presario desktop, I just bought a Maxtor OneTouch external hard drive (1TB) to store my photos and music. I spent most of the day copying my photos, music & docs on it. Then I deleted the photos and music off of my desktop thinking they would all be stored on the external hard drive. Now when I go to the external hard drive, I can't find a single photo! I can find my music and backed-up docs but not a singel jpeg. The actual photo folders are there but no jpegs as content. I am quitely having a heart-attact. The actual Maxtor product did not come with instructions....
Thanks!
JL

Relevancy 74.82%

Access DENIED to VIEW ,COPY OR MOVE pictures on an external hard drive
Im having access problems copying ,editing and viewing my photos on my external hard drive ,it says i dont have the correct permissions to access the file .and the file belong to an unknown user account ,i am using an administrator account ,how can i have access to this files ?

THE problem started since i was using windows 7 ,now im using windows 8 ,the problem is still there!!

Please help me ,its been two years im trying to solve this problem.

Here is the link to the additional pictures showing all the problems

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3381541016883.2168211.1220177281&type=1&l=160799ee13

im using HP530 ,2g RAM ,windows 8

the external HD is a samsung model HD103SI ,1TB

A:Access DENIED to VIEW ,COPY OR MOVE pictures on an external hard drive

Right click on the ext drive then go to Properties.
Under Security tab Click Edit
Select the User Account that you want to have access. Usually looks like Test (Test-PC\Test)
Make Sure to put check on Full Control under Allow and NOTHING is checked under Deny
Click Apply and then OK

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/access-denied-to-view-copy-or-move-pictures-on-an-external-hard-drive.1096561/
Relevancy 74.39%

Frustration. Windows 7 Home premium. I have done everything I can think of and am stumped. The old XP way of creating the new user account, logging into it to create a profile, then copying one profile to another doesn't work. Perhaps there is a good reason. In desperation I even enabled the built in administrator account in cmd prompt and logged on as that user. But the copy area is still greyed out.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Maybe what I want to do will not work in the cheaper version of the OS.
I know MS is interested in security, but I never had a problem in years of using XP.

Jack

A:Cannot copy user profile

The source and target accounts cannot be logged on when you do this. They both need to be logged off.

When you tried it with Administrator from Safe more, were both of the accounts logged off?

Where are you trying to copy from and to? In Win 7, all accounts are under C:\Users, not C:\Documents and Settings.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/194460-cannot-copy-user-profile.html
Relevancy 74.39%

How do you copy a User Profile in XP (desktop, etc)?
Thanks, Randy

A:Copy user profile in XP

How do you copy a User Profile in XP

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/copy-user-profile-in-xp.927331/
Relevancy 74.39%

I created a new user. How can I transfer the windows settings done for the old user to the new user profile?

A:How to copy user profile to another user profile

Here you go:

ForensiT Move Computer

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/17988-how-copy-user-profile-another-user-profile.html
Relevancy 74.39%

Hello,
I am using Windows Seven ultimate x64 and I started having a problem when trying to access user's folder under documents and settings or users on any attached external hard drive on my computer.
i didn't have this problem before, it started on the same installation of windows and without any changes to my system settings or user settings.
I am a computer tech and I use my computer to backup data before repairing computers so I attach the hard drive to my computer using a USB enclosure.
This is limiting my work since I didn't find any solution yet.
It's giving me the error below: "you don't currently have permission to access this folder"
This is happening on any external hard drive I want to access the user's data.
Please help

Thank you

A:Can't access user's folder on any external hard drive

Hello Fadsnet, and welcome to Seven Forums.

It sounds like you may need to take ownership of the folder, and "Allow" your user account "Full control" of the folder before you will have access.

How to Take Ownership of a Item in Vista and Windows 7

Take Ownership Shortcut

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/207618-cant-access-users-folder-any-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 74.39%

I pulled my HD from my old laptop and put it in an exclosure to use on my current laptop. when i try to access 'my document' on the external it says 'access denied' assumbly because i have not logged in. How can i gain access to it?

A:Accessin my user account on external hard drive

Take Ownership of the files and folders.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/accessin-my-user-account-on-external-hard-drive.511292/
Relevancy 73.96%

Hi I do not know when and why did this happen but whoever invented this paranoid hidemysecretsfrommywife control system of sharing and permissions should be copy, in drive create/ files [SOLVED] permission move, No to external hard delete declared as the Enemy of [SOLVED] No permission to create/ move, copy, delete files in external hard drive Mankind or [SOLVED] No permission to create/ move, copy, delete files in external hard drive the Antichrist I can understand that one wants to protect C from malwares But have you seen a malware attacking an external drive I have Windows I have an external drive where I store all my pictures taken and my music files I already tried everything advanced sharing and so on Still I can only create a new folder with a right click in the drive or inside existing folders but I can not do anything else The disk is write protected check write permissions In fact the disk isn't write protected If I create a [SOLVED] No permission to create/ move, copy, delete files in external hard drive new folder I can put in it and do whatever I want inside the new folder But I have no permission to do anything outside a new folder i e with my original media files Why Who does benefit from this What is this craziness

A:[SOLVED] No permission to create/ move, copy, delete files in external hard drive

Hi akofalvi.

Try this:

1. Start > Run "cmd" (this opens a command prompt window)
2. type--> diskpart (this will open another command window in a few seconds)
3. type--> list volume (this will list all of the volumes currently recognized in your system)
4. type--> select volume # (this number is going to be your external drive)
5. type--> attributes disk clear readonly

I will say this: this procedure has been met with mixed results and your problem may return. Some have even had this issue and it turned out to be a setting in Windows Media Player of all things (whoda thunk?) One responder in a forum had this to say about this very problem: what i found to fix this was to remove the settings in media player allowing it to re-organize and rename files, after which i went to the tools/advanced/restore media library and allowed it to dump my current library and reset it. That's just an FYI.

I hope that'll help. Let me know.

Good day!

Mike

PS: As an afterthought, you may need to log in to the REAL administrator account (which needs to be activated manually) and set your permissions there for your regular user name. We'll go down that path if the above procedure doesn't net you anything positive.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-no-permission-to-create-move-copy-delete-files-in-external-hard-drive-569401.html
Relevancy 73.96%

Once again here I am looking to you all to re-learn how to do something…

I’ve created the master profile I want to use. Now I want to make it the Default User profile. OK, we reboot – log on as the Local Admin - go to System Properties - Advanced – User Profiles – Settings – select the profile to be copied AND… the Copy To button is grayed out!

How does one copy the New & Improved Master Profile and make it the Default User profile?

On a side note the New & Improved profile is a whopping 5.68G is size! It all seems to be located in the Local, Low Local and Roaming folders. How important is this stuff to my new profile? Anything to do with XP Mode I need for and older app?

A:Copy To the Default User profile

Here's a nice step by step with screenshots.

http://www.irongeek.com/i.php?page=security/windows-7-copy-default-profile

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/copy-to-the-default-user-profile.961811/
Relevancy 73.96%

Once again here I am looking to you all to re-learn how to do something?

I?ve created the master profile I want to use. Now I want to make it the Default User profile. OK, we reboot ? log on as the Local Admin - go to System Properties - Advanced ? User Profiles ? Settings ? select the profile to be copied AND? the Copy To button is grayed out!

How does one copy the New & Improved Master Profile and make it the Default User profile?

On a side note the New & Improved profile is a whopping 5.68G is size! It all seems to be located in the Local, Low Local and Roaming folders. How important is this stuff to my new profile? Anything to do with XP Mode I need for and older app?

A:Copy To the Default User profile

You can read this: How to fix a damaged profile to see if it will do what you want. Althought I think you will need to view that advanced tab as administrator.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/359867/copy-to-the-default-user-profile/
Relevancy 73.53%

Whats up guys,
We have bunch of our employee's as Power Users (group) and just recently one needed to formatt their external harddrives but was given an error "Don't Have Sufficent Rights To Perform This Action".

Instead of moving those users into another group "admin" or so.

How can I allow Power Users to be able to perform this action? (gpedit.msc?)

Thanks in advance!

Relevancy 73.53%

I have been having issues with the booting of my c drive. I just installed a fresh copy of Win7 64 onto a fresh hard drive and it is booting. What I want to do is copy over the entire contents of my original C drive over to the new drive. I have a second computer to do this on and am not sure how to do it. I doubt that dragging and dropping will copy all the hidden and system files, which is what I want to do.

The reason I don't want to simply make an image of the first drive and restore that is that the original drive does not boot AND contains a system partition that I don't want to bring along. I am hoping to marry the bootability of the new drive with the files and information on the original drive.

Any advice?

Paul

A:How do I copy the entire contents of boot drive?

Why not image your C: partition, but ignore the small system partition? Then restore that image to the partition holding your newly installed Windows system, overwriting it.

The new system partition will remain in place and not be touched by the image restore. You'll probably end up with a non-booting system again, but circumstances will be completely different and you have a much better chance of successfully using the Startup Repair.

Basically it'll just be a matter of "re-detecting" the Windows system and creating a new boot entry for it.

(I actually used precisely this same method - successfully - to manually align my system partition when I was cloning it from HDD to a new SSD.)

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/198449-how-do-i-copy-entire-contents-boot-drive.html
Relevancy 73.1%

I m having problems copying an existing user profile to a new user account in Vista Premium Originally I had only only an administrator s account My intention was to create profile User Solved: fails copy a nd account with the same profile settings as the administrator account but with only user privileges I tried the following Created new accounts B and C where B had administrative privileges and C was a user account The original Solved: User profile copy fails administrator account A was reset to user privilege Logged on to both new accounts for initializing logged on to B and copied profile settings under System Properties Advanced User Profile Settings from A to C users C The copy grinded for about minutes than finished The size parameters Solved: User profile copy fails in the profile settings window for A and C didn t agree so I m guessing that the copy failed When I attempted to log on to C I got the err message quot The Group policy Client Failed quot access denied I tried this procedure with UAC on and then with it off Any ideas on how I might simply copy one user profile to another without the problems nbsp

A:Solved: User profile copy fails

I suppose the easiest way would be offline with a bootable OS like UBCD4Win if you have access to one.

I'm not too sure about the account you are trying to copy. Is it THE Administrator account, or AN Administrator account. I don't think you will be able to copy "THE".

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-user-profile-copy-fails.738007/
Relevancy 73.1%

I am using Windows XP with SP Prior to the profile being corrupted I've had multiple warnings that my C drive is running out of space I already have a nd drive and I'm trying to find out about getting a rd Profile, to new copy data User Corrupt cannot one My user profile on my desktop has been corrupted I found instructions on how to copy the data from the old user profile to a new one however I Corrupt User Profile, cannot copy data to new one cannot find the file the instructions are looking for The instructions say to copy from the old file into the new The problem is I cannot find the correct file The profile names on the desktop are Christina me Scott dh and William ds As you can see from the screenshot of Windows Explorer only Scott and William are listed as seperate folders I believe the quot Christina quot setting are under quot Compaq Owner quot but I'm not sure I created a new user profile in Control Panel and named it quot Mom quot However it does not show up in Windows Explorer as a named folder I took the screenshot while logged into my dh's user profile I need help finding out why the new user name doesn't appear in Windows Explorer and how I can verify if I have been using the Compaq Owner account as shown in the files Then I need to find out how to properly copy the data from the corrupted profile Thank you Christina in GA

A:Corrupt User Profile, cannot copy data to new one

Welcome to TSF....

Try this:

How to recover the damaged user profile in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555473/en-us

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/corrupt-user-profile-cannot-copy-data-to-new-one-295473.html
Relevancy 73.1%

Hello Can you help me I tried to copy a profile to another folder by vbscript but folder Documents not Profile Script problem VBS with User Copy copy Copy User Profile with VBS Script problem complete Why I now this forum not write or speak language vbscript but i search google etc etc and not have solution for this problem My code Vbscript vbs Code dim wshell strusername filesys Const OverwriteExisting TRUE Set WshShell CreateObject quot WScript Shell quot Set WshEnv WshShell Environment quot Copy User Profile with VBS Script problem SYSTEM quot Set filesys CreateObject quot Scripting FileSystemObject quot StrUsername wshShell ExpandEnvironmentStrings quot username quot msgbox strUsername Call BackupC Sub BackupC If filesys FolderExists quot C Dados quot amp StrUsername amp quot quot Then If msgbox quot There is already a folder called C Dados Copy User Profile with VBS Script problem quot amp StrUsername amp quot quot amp quot Do you want to proceed quot quot Image Customization quot Then Exit Sub Else filesys DeleteFolder quot C Dados quot amp StrUsername amp quot quot TRUE filesys CreateFolder quot C Dados quot amp StrUsername amp quot quot End If Else filesys CreateFolder quot C Dados quot amp StrUsername amp quot quot End If If filesys FolderExists quot C Users quot amp StrUsername Then ' DESKTOP If filesys FolderExists quot C Users quot amp StrUsername amp quot Desktop quot Then filesys CreateFolder quot C Dados quot amp StrUsername amp quot quot amp quot Desktop quot filesys CopyFolder quot C Users quot amp StrUsername amp quot Desktop quot quot C Dados quot amp StrUsername amp quot quot amp quot Desktop quot TRUE End If ' QUICK LAUNCH If filesys FolderExists quot C Users quot amp StrUsername amp quot AppData Roaming Microsoft Internet Explorer Quick Launch quot Then filesys CreateFolder quot C Dados quot amp StrUsername amp quot quot amp quot QuickLinks quot filesys CopyFolder quot C Users quot amp StrUsername amp quot AppData Roaming Microsoft Internet Explorer Quick Launch quot quot C Dados quot amp StrUsername amp quot quot amp quot QuickLinks quot TRUE End If ' FAVORITES If filesys FolderExists quot C Users quot amp StrUsername amp quot Favorites quot Then filesys CreateFolder quot C Dados quot amp StrUsername amp quot quot amp quot Favorites quot filesys CopyFolder quot C Users quot amp StrUsername amp quot Favorites quot quot C Dados quot amp StrUsername amp quot quot amp quot Favorites quot TRUE End If ' SIGNATURES If filesys FolderExists quot C Users quot amp StrUsername amp quot AppData Roaming Microsoft Signatures quot Then filesys CreateFolder quot C Dados quot amp StrUsername amp quot quot amp quot Signatures quot filesys CopyFolder quot C Users quot amp StrUsername amp quot AppData Roaming Microsoft Signatures quot quot C Dados quot amp StrUsername amp quot quot amp quot Signatures quot TRUE End If ' CRIA APENAS O FOLDER TEMPLATES filesys CreateFolder quot C Dados quot amp StrUsername amp quot quot amp quot Templates quot ' COPIA O FICHEIRO PERSONAL PARA O FOLDER TEMPLATES If filesys FileExists quot C Users quot amp StrUsername amp quot AppData Roaming Microsoft Excel XLSTART Personal xls quot Then filesys CopyFile quot C Users quot amp StrUsername amp quot AppData Roaming Microsoft Excel XLSTART Personal xls quot quot C Dados quot amp StrUsername amp quot quot amp quot Templates quot TRUE End If ' COPIA O FICHEIRO NORMAL DOT PARA O FOLDER TEMPLATES If filesys FileExists quot C Users quot amp StrUsername amp quot AppData Roaming Microsoft Templates Normal dotm quot Then filesys CopyFile quot C Users quot amp StrUsername amp quot AppData Roaming Microsoft Templates Normal dotm quot quot C Dados quot amp StrUsername amp quot quot amp quot Templates quot TRUE End If ' COPIA O FICHEIRO AUTOTEMP DOT PARA O FOLDER TEMPLATES If filesys FileExists quot C Users quot amp StrUsername amp quot AppData Roaming Microsoft Templates AUTOTEMP DOT quot Then filesys CopyFile quot C Users quot amp StrUsername amp quot AppDat... Read more

A:Copy User Profile with VBS Script problem

Hi, rgaspar, and welcome to the forums.

It is possible you have system files in the documents folder that are not allowing a full copy to process - have you verified that you can manually copy the folder?

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/173575-copy-user-profile-vbs-script-problem.html
Relevancy 73.1%

I just had to reinstall windows. But before that I took a copy of my Users\[Username] folder. Is it dangerous, may cause instability if I directly copy and overwrite files in the fresh user folder with my backup? I'll install most of the applications on my old windows so those programs may use data and settings stored in my old profile.

A:is it dangerous to copy user profile folder?

It's OK to backup by copying User folders or named User Account folder, however to copy the files back in, open each individual User folder (Docs, Pics, Music, Downloads, Desktop, etc), from the Organize tab Select All, then drag the group to the corresponding User folder in the Explorer bar at left.

Make sure you don't release left click while dragging until the Explorer bar stops unfolding and it confirms in the hypertext your destination folder.

The reason you must do this instead of paste the actual folders in is because these are System Shell folders and the fresh install will have it's own set which cannot be overwritten.. So it's best simply to copy the contents over instead.

Someone else may know a workaround that will replace the shell folders with the ones you copied, but I wouldn't want the hidden AppData folders anyway since these are a corruption path into a fresh install.

Other tips for getting a perfect Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/249256-dangerous-copy-user-profile-folder.html
Relevancy 73.1%

Solving:
1) How to Copy Newest User Data (12-12-09) from Newest C Drive whose operating system will no longer boot up and the HD now is in a USB exteral storage unit;
2) Copy into working restored older Acronis backup of 9-10-2009.

Best Strategy please:? Other strategies?

I have available as tools:
1.WindowsPE Vista boot disk
2. Koppitz Bot disk
3. Vista Ultimate Installation package
Possible alternatives:
1. (A) Boot up with the WindowsPE Vista
(B) Click Users Folder (12-12-09) and Select ALL, Copy it
(C) Paste into Users folder of 9-10-2009
(D) Reboot

Or

2. (A) Boot up with WindowsPE Vista
(B) Rename Users Folder of 9-10-2009 to Users-Old
(C) Click Users Folder (12-12-09) and Select ALL,
(D) Copy it to C drive
(E) Reboot

or

Other or Better strategies?

Thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/best-way-to-copy-newer-user-profile-over-older-one.890484/
Relevancy 73.1%

Hi
I understand that in versions of Windows 7 and earlier there was a function with system advanced to copy a user profile from one to another profile.....using ' copy to '

I tried this in Windows 10, but the copy to option was greyed out, so used an app called Windows enabler which allowed the copy to option to work.....but when I clicked on yes to copy to the selected profile I received an error message about Windows not being able to delete a folder and perhaps I should delete it first.

apparently this error doesn't happen in Windows 7 and earlier...

wondered if anyone knew of a workaround for Windows 10

thanks

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/30023-copying-user-profile-using-copy-function.html
Relevancy 72.67%

I understand with XP Pro, only 10 users can map to a specific network drive at a time (and 5 with XP Home). That count must be managed by the machine everyone is mapping to correct?

So it would be a non issue if you have an external network hard drive? (Not necessarily this model, but something along the lines of 500 GB 7200 RPM NetCenter by Western Digital.)

A:Solved: Avoid 10 user limit with use of external network hard drive?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-avoid-10-user-limit-with-use-of-external-network-hard-drive.502073/
Relevancy 72.67%

I am having problems copying user files to a backup external hard drive I have a Vista machine copying Request files drive guidance hard user about external to with an external usb hard drive attached I open two copies of Windows Explorer and set one to point to the user name directory underneath that is my documents my music etc and the other to point to the directory on the external hard drive that I want to copy backup the folders to I go to the user name folder and drag the user name to the external hard drive folder It appears to copy over but then I find that not everything actually did copy in fact most of it did not The backup external drive then has the user name but underneath there is no documents folder Some things are there but others are Request guidance about copying user files to external hard drive not The scary thing is that it is easy Request guidance about copying user files to external hard drive to quot think quot you made a backup as there is no error message the files just are not there The other weird thing is that I am sure I did this numerous times before on a different but identical hardware and OS machine and it did copy everything What am I missing I am sure I have done this before Shouldn't this work Hopefully it is not a stupid question but even if it is I need to know the answer

A:Request guidance about copying user files to external hard drive

I use xinorbis.com :: Welcome! to find stuff

and KingCopy to copy folders sorry don't have a download page for that
It gives to ability to pause downloads and set the order you want them done in
I will add it to my website.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/301952-request-guidance-about-copying-user-files-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 72.24%

Hey everyone.
I recently set up a domain consisting of Server 2003 as the DC and Vista Ultimate x64 as client. What I'm interested in is if it's possible (and how) to copy an existing local user profile on Vista to the domain. I've searched for any option that would do just that or similar but found nothing.
Thanks for the help.

A:Local Vista user profile copy to AD (Serv2003)

Hi ogreus,

Its not possible to copy a local profile onto a Domain server because of the security restrictions placed on profiles by the Server...You can copy the files over but not the settings because they would be totally different to what the AD uses...Have you tried using roaming profiles?

Steven

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/153153-local-vista-user-profile-copy-ad-serv2003.html
Relevancy 72.24%

Is there a way to copy a profile to the default profile without using the Audit Mode feature when it was built? I know that the Audit Mode should have been use but at this point it to late to do that now. That got to be some app are "hack" way to still copy a profile to the main default profile on Windows 10.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance for any foresight anybody can give.

Z

http://www.tenforums.com/customization/56148-copy-default-user-profile-w-o-audit-mode.html
Relevancy 70.95%

Hi, I have several hard drives full of personal documents (pictures, videos, etc) that I connect to a USB3 docking station whenever needed. I would like to password encrypt these drives. Can I do this with Truecrypt or Bitlocker? Which one is better? Will I risk losing all data during the encryption process or is it a safe operation? Most of the tutorials in Youtube describe how to encrypt system OS drives but not external USB drives. Thanks.

A:Encrypting entire external USB drive

Since you are using Ultimate, I would use Bitlocker.

Background reading:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitLoc...ive_Encryption

Some tutorials:
BitLocker Drive Encryption - Windows 7 Drive - Turn On or Off with no TPM
BitLocker Drive Encryption - Change Encryption Method and Cipher Strength
Bitlocker - Lock an Unlocked Drive

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/273251-encrypting-entire-external-usb-drive.html
Relevancy 68.8%

Hello all This is my first post I am looking forward to getting involved with the community here As the title says I cannot log into my Windows computer and I get the error message quot The user profile service failed the sign in User profile cannot be loaded quot This appears to be a common problem from the searching around I have done however none of what I could find addressed my particular issue The setup I have on my desktop is a SSD boot drive with Windows and a HDD data drive When first installing windows I cannot folder other User on drive profile loaded, be user followed this tutorial to move the user User profile cannot be loaded, user folder on other drive folder to the larger data drive It has been working fine for nearly User profile cannot be loaded, user folder on other drive years I purchased an additional SSD with the aim to setup a RAID to increase the capacity of the boot drive need more programs During installation I was doing a bit of debugging work and booted up the computer without the data drive where my user profile is and I received the aforementioned error After shutting down and rebooting with the original setup of drives Boot drive and data drive I am still getting the error What I can only assume is when attempting to login only using the boot drive it created a temporary user profile that it is now trying to load and is no longer pointing to the data drive even after replacing it Hopefully someone will be able to help me out Many thanks in advance Josh

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/70313-user-profile-cannot-loaded-user-folder-other-drive.html
Relevancy 67.94%

I need help badly! While working with NeonFx in the "Malware, Trojan, Virus" Forums. The OTS.exe tool deleted key vista files. I am unable to boot up normally! I am writing this request for help after booting up in safe mode. All of my vista settings are either gone or serverely imparied! I need help restoring my vista settings, user profile, recovering files, drivers, applications, etc. I have attached NeonFx's last post describing how my machine got to this state. Someone please help ASAP!

A:Vista - Failed to open by the service user profile. Unable to load user profile

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-failed-to-open-by-the-service-user-profile-unable-to-load-user-profile.882933/
Relevancy 67.08%

OS Windows XP v Professional SP I restored the computer system as I had lost everything stored in the old user profile A NEW USER PROFILE mlinda quot is created with the correct domain attached to it eg CAA MAU and is fully restored The OLD USER PROFILE quot m linda quot remains in the documents and settings BUT - the domain is of a local computer eg SPARXX and it no longer works with the eg CAA MAU domain The original quot m linda quot user profile contains almost nothing in it no documents etc m linda is still listed in the userlist in computer management BUT 2 (fully name user user restored) new profile old ? Urgent-How profile change to back NOT THE NEW mlinda In administrator mode I dont t see ALL the contents of the newly restored profile Questions How do I change user profile quot mlinda Urgent-How 2 change new user profile (fully restored) back to old user profile name ? quot that has successfully retored everthing back to quot m linda quot since the new profile has everything intact How do I safely delete the newly restored quot mlinda quot and ensure everything is back to normal with the OLD USER PROFILE m linda How to ensure that the correct domain name is attached to the profile by transferring all the data from THE NEW mlinda eg domain CAA MAU to THE OLD m linda that currently has a local computer domain SPARXX User profile m linda has to be attched to domain CAA MAU Should I be backing up before eventhough the new mlinda is in super condition I read in forums that the links to desktop can be lost by transfering How do I retain it Do I have to change anything in the registry value Should I do it with Administrator account in normal mode or safe mode When I log on as an Administrator both mlinda and m linda is as brand new and none of the exisiting files in it When I log in as mlinda new I still see m linda local computer domain in the user list but not mlinda the new But when I right click properties of c documents and setting mlinda under security I see that mlinda is listed with the correct domain name My biggeest fear is not to lose the domain ouutlook etc while changing mlinda to m linda B Rather than going through a process of copying mlinda to m linda Is it possible just delete THE OLD USER PROFILE m linda and rename the THE NEW USER PROFILE mlinda since this is fully restored to m linda If yes what are the best steps And how can I make the adjustments to user list since when wondows starts there is only THE NEW PROFILE mlinda popping up I need it back to m linda I read in a forum that I can go to registry HKLM SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows NT CurrentVer Profilelist and change but I don t want to mess with it In my case in the registry i should I delete m linda first and rename mlinda to m linda This is rather urgent and need to fix today All your help are truly appreciated Thank you nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/urgent-how-2-change-new-user-profile-fully-restored-back-to-old-user-profile-name.1004093/
Relevancy 67.08%

Hello

When I tried to log on to administrator account on vista laptop this morning I got the following error massage "The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded." I did some research and found a potential solution: The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded.

However the problem is that the solution needs a working administrartor account and the only account I'm able to log in is a standard one with no power to change account type or boot into admin safe mode/ do a command prompt whatsoever.

Would anyone happen to have an alternative solution that doesn't require an admin account to fix this?

A:Vista - The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded.

Was able to log on in safe mode and follow the registry edit procedure. Thanks anyway

http://www.vistax64.com/crashes-debugging/281202-vista-user-profile-service-failed-logon-user-profile-cannot-loaded.html
Relevancy 67.08%

my computer is password protected. i only have one user account on it. how can i fix this without losing anything on my laptop?

A:vista-the user profile service failed the logon. user profile cannot be loaded

Just a thought, did you password the default administrator account?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/533684/vista-the-user-profile-service-failed-the-logon-user-profile-cannot-be-loaded/
Relevancy 67.08%

Admin account worked fine on Monday.  The kid used her (non-admin) account in the meantime.  Now it won't log into the admin account - "The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded."  I've read a few other boards on this issue, so I am now doing a thorough virus scan and will include results as soon as they're available.  But I am not confident about moving forward with any of the paths I've seen laid out, and some of them don't apply if you can't access the admin account anyway, so I wanted to start a thread here (I've gotten fabulous help here several times before).  It's running Vista Home Premium SP2.  AVG 2013 Internet Security.  Can't think what other specs may be relevant, but am happy to provide whatever would be of use.  Thanks!!

A:User Profile svc failed logon. User profile can't be loaded." on admin acct.

I got the same message when attempting to login on Windows 7, after no previous problems or changes before shutdown the night before. It continued to loop back to the logon screen even after rebooting. I ended up having to log on in Safe Mode, then do a system restore to restore back to the last restore point, which was a system checkpoint a couple of days earlier. That fixed it, and I've had no problems since. I hope that helps.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/515804/user-profile-svc-failed-logon-user-profile-cant-be-loaded-on-admin-acct/
Relevancy 67.08%

It is an HP computer that my brother brought over because it wouldn t boot It was giving me a quot bootmgr is compressed quot message So I got my Vista repair disc and uncompressed his drive That got rid of that message but then it was giving me winload exe errors So I fixed that and FINALLY it booted up but when I clicked on his user account to log on I get this error message I have searched for answers I came across a fix where you edit the registry if there is a duplicate entry in the profiles a loaded" profile cannot the service Getting message be logon. "user profile user failed section but there isn t an extra one I can boot into safe mode but I get no administrative tools no ability to see the event viewer or manage users idk if this is normal I did a command I found to make the default administrator account active or something like that and now when it boots up there is his user account Getting a "user profile service failed the logon. user profile cannot be loaded" message and an admin user If I click his user to log on I get the error message If I click the admin account it loads but it loads telling me the Vista copy is not genuine Anyone have any idea how to fix this Why is the admin account telling me Vista is not genuine Thank you

A:Getting a "user profile service failed the logon. user profile cannot be loaded" message

I came across a fix where you edit the registry if there is a duplicate entry in the profiles section but there isn't an extra oneExtra one? you mean the .bak key?Did you follow this guide?http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/466518/getting-a-user-profile-service-failed-the-logon-user-profile-cannot-be-loaded-message/
Relevancy 67.08%

Okay, I'm about ready to throw in the towel or throw out the computer. I've been trying to reload windows xp pro because it seems i lost my drivers and now i can't get internet or my internet games to work or much of anything else. I also got errors trying to reload xp.... so, how do i reformat my hard drive.. clean and pretty and start fresh..... its just a dell window xp pro 2gb ram.. nothing special... and how do I know that my reboot disks for windows xp are good??

Relevancy 67.08%

I am trying to reinstall windows 8, but when I do it says it can only find the MBR and that my disk isn't large enough.  My hard drive is 500GB and the partition says it is 14 and it can't find any other partitions or the rest of the hard drive. 

I can only boot into the system using the disk (which I can get into a cmd prompt). 

Any suggestions?   I came across this because my computer wouldn't load anymore and just keep scanning for disks for days.

Thanks in advance!

A:Can't find entire hard drive only MBR

WIth CMD on the windows 8 install disk, I ran diskpart and it only shows Disk 0 , Status: Online, Size 14 GB, Free 0B.  Nothing else. 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/586335/cant-find-entire-hard-drive-only-mbr/
Relevancy 67.08%

Hi there,

I won't get too deeply into the harrowing saga of how two external hard drives of mine died within days of each other. Rather, I'll just say that I would like to do a virus scan on several external hard drives (including/especially the one I just got to replace the others). In other words, I want to find out if there was a virus or something in the material that I'm putting on the hard drives that makes them die. Could this be possible? If so, how can I conduct a virus scan specifically on the external drives?

Thanks!
Sonya

A:Scanning an external hard drive for viruses? External Hard drive DRAMA!

In My Computer . . right click the external drive and select Scan with { name of AV }

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/scanning-an-external-hard-drive-for-viruses-external-hard-drive-drama-186769.html
Relevancy 66.22%

Sager 5793 laptop. In safe mode, Avast found win32:autorun[wrm]. deleted worm, left 497 files unreadable cyclical redundancy. Clean-up instructions said to install and run AVG8 to double check. Didn't find virus, but found the unreadable files. Now computer won't boot at all. Sager said to remove hard drive, put in external enclosure (SATA) and try to retrieve unaffected files. The only file which shows on the drive is $AVG8.vault$ containing 30 files with names like V_00000001.fil 1.06 MB total. This drive's properties read capacity 186 GB. 85.2 GB used. I really need to retrieve as many of these files as possible as they contain free lance graphics projects and our income tax data (deadline tomorrow!!!) Our house was hit bu two tornadoes a year ago, so my back-up schedule fell to the wayside during the moves. PLEASE HELP!

A:entire hard drive now in $AVG8.vault$

Forgot to add that this is a Windows xp sp3 operating system.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/entire-hard-drive-now-in-avg8-vault.818695/
Relevancy 66.22%

Hi I have read about all I can read about backing up a hard drive and am a little confused I have F d up images of hard drives using Norton Ghost - I must admit I understand what I did wrong Both attempts were trying to backup a duel boot laptop system that I worked on for months to get where I wanted At the end of it all I ended up getting all my DATA back but lost the OS and all my customizations on bothe the WinME and WinXP partitions So I could use some guidence I think that these are the most important questions that I have - but feel free to give a noob some more advise Q Does an image take a complete image of EVERY sector of the hard drive with Hard IMAGE entire of Drive Guidence including the bootsector and the MBR and the partitions or should you image only the partition I imaged my partitions and thats where I killed myself Q If you have a GB Hard drive and the OS and all programs take up only GB and you image that entire drive That drive dies You then purchase a new hard drive and its a GB drive If you RESTORE the previous image from the OLD GB drive to the new GB drive will there be any problems Thank you tremendously Guidence with IMAGE of entire Hard Drive for any Guidence you can give PEACE Pitch nbsp

Relevancy 66.22%

Please help me I made a big mistake today and I have no clue how to fix it I've been searching for a long time but can't find anything on it? Hard Drive. I can How My restore Cleaned ENTIRE the internet I think this is the best place I could ask for help so here it goes I have an HP Pavilion desktop It came factory default with Windows Home Premium -bit and I've been using it for years I saved all my important files and photos on it Recently I had the thought of dual-booting a Windows OS on it I Cleaned My ENTIRE Hard Drive. How can I restore it? watched quite a lot of Cleaned My ENTIRE Hard Drive. How can I restore it? videos and it seemed pretty straight forward I also have a Windows product key At the installation there were so many issues They were all relative to how my licence is not valid and such before I'm even given the option to enter one I found out that I could create an EI cfg file to get past it and install Windows without a licence key and activate it later Then for the last time I got an issue saying that Windows can't be installed on my hard drive partition which was a GB NTFS primary partition that I created with my Windows operating system So I couldn't install it I even went back on my Windows operating system to reformat the volume to NTFS but the problem remained Then I found online an article about cleaning the volume using diskpart instead of disk management I got lazy this time and decided to just follow the instructions on the Windows installation disk I pressed shift F to launch command prompt and got to disk part Then I selected disk and inside it SELECTED partition Then I clean ed it thinking that I will create a new primary partition later on according to the tutorial But it turned out diskpart deleted MY ENTIRE DISK NOT JUST PARTITION I continued with the custom installation and found out that it's telling me I have just one disk initially had with GB remaining That's my entire hard disk So I thought what the hell just happened and decided to cancel the installation and go back to Windows to recreate a volume for my GB partition But when I turned on my computer it gave me the following error quot Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key quot It was not long until I realised that I didn't just clean partition of disk I deleted the entire disk AKA THE WHOLE INTERNAL HARD DRIVE THAT HAD WINDOWS HOME PREMIUM INSTALLED ON IT Is there any way I could undo that clean Please save my butt I had a restore point and made an image back up and all that good stuff but I can't get access to those When I select the troubleshoot option in the Windows Installation it tells me that there is no restore point for this system Does that mean I deleted all my files and back ups as well I haven't done anything beyond that point I don't want to do anything else on the hard drive that will not allow me to recover my data if that's possible There has to be an expert here please help me out This is very critical

A:Cleaned My ENTIRE Hard Drive. How can I restore it?

hi welcome to the forum. I just have a question for you. when you said you did an image backup where was the backup stored at? was it on an external drive or the same drive the OS is installed on? if was on same drive then you are most likely out of luck using the backup image.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/401134-cleaned-my-entire-hard-drive-how-can-i-restore.html
Relevancy 66.22%

I have windows 7 and windows 8 installed on one hatd drive different partitions. I would like to make an image or some sort of back up that will restore everything to the current condition, applications files drivers. Is this possible and what is the best way to accomplish this. Thanks in advance!

A:Is it possible to create a back up of an entire hard drive will two bo

My problem was I already had both os's installed and I got a nasty virus and I couldn't accomplish anything on the computer so I wiped the hard drive with the clean all command and reinstalled everything, I dont want to do all of this again and im not sure if a disk image will work for the entire hard drive or just the os it was created in. On the same note I created a disk image after I originally installed everything but I couldnt get my computer to read it when I tried to use it last night so I did the fresh install.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/302431-possible-create-back-up-entire-hard-drive-will-two-bo.html
Relevancy 66.22%

Today, Dec.20th, I wanted to create a standard user account for testing.
I named it Test.
When I tried to log on to Test account, I received the above message.
I used the tutorial compiled by Shawn but failed :
The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded. - Vista Forums

Problems :
1. I don't remember when was the last time I successfully created a new user account. Therefore, not knowing which is the good restore point for this matter.
2. The tutorial mentioned SID key with .bak at the end.
There are 3 SID keys, but none has .bak at the end.
3. name of ProfileImagePath is as follow ...........
a.1001 belongs to t-4-2
b. 500 belongs to Administrator
c. 501 belongs to Guest
I don't see the SID key for the Test account.
Therefore, I am stuck. not knowing how to proceed.

see screenshot :

Please advise.
Thank you.

P.S. Guest account was NEVER activated.

t-4-2

A:User Profile Service Failed the Login User profile cannot be loaded

Hello t-4-2,

The SID key for the user profile will not be created until the first time a newly created user account is logged on to.

You might see if this part of the tutorial may be the issue you are having.

Rob Brooks-Bilson's Blog: Fix for Vista's: The User Profile Service service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/203645-user-profile-service-failed-login-user-profile-cannot-loaded.html
Relevancy 66.22%

i encounter this problem when i try to login my account which is under a domain User profile service failed the logon User profile cannot be loaded Will the OU in ad will affected this problem Firstly this machine hostname have the cannot loaded service be logon profile User User profile failed not move to Finance OU But i can login my own account my account has move to Finance OU I try my colleague login User profile service failed the logon User profile cannot be loaded id as well His user account was also in the Finance OU but he cannot login he get the user profile service failed the logon user profile cannot be loaded This is cause by OU or is it the windows issue User profile service failed the logon User profile cannot be loaded i have try to rejoin the domain same problem This is a new machine so i believe the registry fix on the profile list does not help at all i User profile service failed the logon User profile cannot be loaded try to copy the default folder under user to my usb and then transfer to the new pc same problem as well anyone have any solution to it

A:User profile service failed the logon User profile cannot be loaded

You'd need to ask your IT Adminstrator.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/351792-user-profile-service-failed-logon-user-profile-cannot-loaded.html
Relevancy 66.22%

Hey Guys so this happened to my laptop the other day and I have only got round to fixing it now, I tried a few options like editing the .bak files etc with no luck so I recovered what I could and just deleted the user profile an that seemed to of fixed the issue.

I was just wondering if their is anyway to delete the data off the old user user profile without having to format the hard drive. As its still taking up space on my hard drive even though the profile is deleted.

Many thanks in advance

Damian

A:The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded

Hello Damian, and welcome to Vista Forums.

Since you have already deleted the user account through the Control Panel, you should be able to just delete C:\Users\(user-name) folder for the old user account while logged in the new account.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/293696-user-profile-service-failed-logon-user-profile-cannot-loaded.html
Relevancy 66.22%

I had the following error:

The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded.

I googled how to fix it. I now can't get to my photos from my other user account. How can I get to them so I can burn them on a DVD and clear up some of my hard drive? I can still see they are there in my Picasa program just can't get to them on desktop now.

Thanks,
Nici

A:The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded.

Use an admin account, go to the account's picture folder you had before, and answer yes if it asks if it should modify security. ( haven't done this in a while so I can't remember the exact wording )

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/the-user-profile-service-failed-the-logon-user-profile-cannot-be-loaded.1139421/
Relevancy 66.22%

Hi nbsp I have a very annoying problem on wireless tablets running windows update nbsp The tablets boot nice and fast approx - seconds to the failed be User cannot User Profile profile loaded the sign-in. Service ctrl alt del screen nbsp However the network mandatory profiles used by students do not work for another seconds after that nbsp For the first seconds or so after ctrl alt del shows up they get the error message quot User Profile Service Failed the sign-in nbsp User User Profile Service failed the sign-in. User profile cannot be loaded profile cannot be loaded quot nbsp After that they will login just fine nbsp We've looked at procmon bootlogs and it shows BADNETWORKPATH the first couple of times you try to call the network path to the mandatory profile nbsp We have tired setting various Group Policy Objects to force them to wait for the network based on various other posts on this nbsp and User Profile Service failed the sign-in. User profile cannot be loaded other sites nbsp Always wait for the network Wait for group policy processing wait User Profile Service failed the sign-in. User profile cannot be loaded for network timeout etc nbsp None of them seem to make any difference nbsp Can somebody explain to me how to resolve this issue nbsp Cheers Da'flibble

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/39e43c19-92a8-4d5c-9ec1-8d8c5d94df00/user-profile-service-failed-the-signin-user-profile-cannot-be-loaded?forum=w8itproperf
Relevancy 66.22%

I have a Dell laptop that has Windows Vista. Received the below message after I typed in my password for the adminstrator account

The User Profile Service failed the logon. User Profile cannot be loaded

I went into Safe Mode and was able to get to the desktop of the laptop. I attempted to go to administrative tools to try and add a new user account but I don't see an option for that.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Nancy

A:The User Profile Service failed the logon. User Profile cannot be loaded

Here is the Microsoft support article for that.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/the-user-profile-service-failed-the-logon-user-profile-cannot-be-loaded.1139197/
Relevancy 66.22%

I've searched for about a week now and have not found a solution. I followed the suggestions about the corrupt Profile and the .BAK SID, but neither are my situation.

My SID is fine - I did manage to find a temporary fix. If I delete and recreate the user in Active Directory on the server it fixes the problem. The problem is, I have 300 computers and every morning there are at least 10 - 15 users I must do this to. Not an ideal solution.

We bypassed Vista, so we had no idea that this Microsoft bug existed until last week.

A:The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be load

Hello ! Welcome to SF !

Check this article from Microsoft run the Fixit and see if that help Error message when you log on to a Windows Vista-based or Windows 7-based computer by using a temporary profile: "The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded"

- Captain

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/103765-user-profile-service-failed-logon-user-profile-cannot-load.html
Relevancy 66.22%

Hi, at windows start i get the message "The User Profile Service failed to logon. User profile cannot be loaded". There was no known activity last time system was up and running and it was shut down normal.

The desctop(HP) was delivered some years ago with V7 installed, ONE personal userID with admin auth. was created. Then a System repair disc was created.

What is the safest and simplest way(if any) to fix this problem and maintain the user data?(I did see support strings about this problem but they seem very complicated and confusing to me)

1. Shoud I restart system some functional key to get into safe mode or use the System repair disc and then what option?

2. Should I then logon to the default accountID(not known to me), and restore system to older backup point or shoud I try to repair the personal UserId?

Please advice

Hej Stene, v?lkommen till Seven Forums .

See this tutorial for fix: User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded.

Kari

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/334619-user-profile-service-failed-logon-user-profile-cannot-load.html
Relevancy 66.22%

Hi

On my daughters W7 x86 PC the above message is happening when she tries to logon, the PC was set up with two users, I do noyt know if the other user can logon as she is away and we do not know the password.

What can I do to fix this error, all the fixes I can find require the user to logon, which is not happening.

Any ideas on how I can proceed.

Thanks

Daniel

Hello Daniel, and welcome to Seven Forums.

The tutorial below can help with fixing this error. The "In Preparation" section at the top will help to get logged into an administrator account to be able to do the rest of the tutorial. If you have any questions, then please feel free to ask.

User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/310351-user-profile-service-failed-logon-user-profile-cannot-load.html
Relevancy 66.22%

lately when i try to turn on the Guest user ( its my first time to turn on it)
then when i try to log on using guest i encounter a error message?
the user profile service failed to logon user profile cannot be loaded , i already try to make another user but the message or error is still appearing ,

but my main user is working im just worried about this and i already try some solution here but its not working

im using Windows 7 , thank you in advance !

A:The User Profile Service Failed to Logon User Profile Cannot be loaded

Hello John,

You might see if the tutorial below may be able to help fix this for you. User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded.
If not, then I'd recommend to turn off the Guest account, delete any 501 key below found for the C:\Users\Guest account at the same registry location in the tutorial above, delete the C:\Users\Guest folder, and restart the computer. This will give you a fresh start with the Guest account as if you never turned it on.

S-1-5-21-4087885203-1817915059-2930943868-501

or

S-1-5-21-4087885203-1817915059-2930943868-501.bak

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/223305-user-profile-service-failed-logon-user-profile-cannot-loaded.html
Relevancy 66.22%

Hello I am new here I know absolutely nothing about computers so I wasn t even sure where I should post this cannot the failed Service loaded. profile logon. User User be Profile thread Please help I am desperate Here I will explain what the issue is AND what I tried nbsp to do to fix it But I failed Recently I ve had issues with my computer randomly opening a lot of windows on it s own Yesterday I was User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded. away and my computer was on and when I came back I saw about new tabs opened and all almost my computer icons seemed to have disappeared I assumed it was just some computer mistake because no way everything go deleted on its own So I restarted it When I restarted it I got the message from the title- quot User Profile Service failed the logon User profile cannot be found quot I don t wanna take User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded. it to a quot professional quot to get it fixed because I don t trust any people here in my city- whenever I did that they deleted ALL my files And I have some EXTREMELY important files in this computer that I wish I had saved on USB but I haven t so I definitely can t lose them I just never thought anything will go wrong with this computer as it worked pretty much perfectly So anyway I decided to try to fix it on my own despite that I admittedly know nothing about computers I read that this issue is fairly easy to fix So I found tutorials and forums where people say you should press f and it will take you to quot safe boot quot mode I did this and the first times nothing happened- and third time something did happen but NOT what they said I got options with numbers and letters and third option saying quot enter setup quot Obviously this was Chinese to me but I knew it s not supposed to be that way I saw some people had the similar issue and someone suggested that I press ESC so I did The next thing that happened was that it opened quot ASUS UEFI BIOS Utility - Advanced mode quot and it had parts- Main Al Tweaker Advanced Monitor Boot Tool All I knew was that from what I read I was supposed to activate quot safe boot quot in order to access computer properly but when I clicked under quot Boot quot I didn t see safe or secure mode anywhere I don t know what to do Please help as I m seriously desperate I will gladly tell you any further info and detail about anything else that I can see on my computer under any of these options I just really need this fixed and I d really appreciate it if anyone was patient enough to tell me what to do step by step Thank you so much in advance

A:User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded.

You can try to fix with Safe Mode - repeatedly tap F8 as you boot up.It may take two or three tries to start the safe mode.Continue with Safe mode and user the Administrator login.Are you able to get into the computer with Safe mode as the Administrator? **** In this context administrator is the name of a hidden account used in safe mode. Normally you would not have to use this account. It can be used to repair or create user accounts.

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,158181.0.html
Relevancy 66.22%

windows 7 will not let me log on to my administrator account.  this is my son"s computer. could he have downloaded something that is causing this?  how do i fix it? thanks!

A:the user profile service failed to logon user profile cannot be loaded

i was able to resolve the problem.  system restore in safe moce,

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/506576/the-user-profile-service-failed-to-logon-user-profile-cannot-be-loaded/
Relevancy 66.22%

I recently tried working with my Sony VAIO Desktop I upgraded from Windows XP to Windows and ever since I did this I have had a few problems keyboard would disable after the W OS Loaded etc I have been working to remedy this problem and others by Profile Profile loaded the failed be Cannot User Logon- User Service cleaning up the hard drive registry memory etc using AVG Antivirus which I recently installed and its family of products updating drivers to Video Controller and Storage Controller which AVG User Profile Service failed the Logon- User Profile Cannot be loaded alerted I needed to update in Device Manager I attempted to update the drivers to the two controllers mentioned above and as windows started to search the internet for solutions after - hours I did not get a response and my screen OS became unresponsive so I had to do a cold boot powered off for cycles - standard I rebooted my system this morning to find that once I logged on User Profile Service failed the Logon- User Profile Cannot be loaded I got - quot User Profile Service failed the Logon- User Profile Cannot be loaded quot press Ok and it sent me back to the Windows SP logon screen again looping Please provide any knowledge on what to do to remedy this issue Thanks in advance User Profile Service failed the Logon- User Profile Cannot be loaded Daveq

A:User Profile Service failed the Logon- User Profile Cannot be loaded

Hello Daveq, and welcome to Seven Forums.

The tutorial below should be able to help with this error.

User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/379244-user-profile-service-failed-logon-user-profile-cannot-loaded.html
Relevancy 66.22%

Im trying to create a new user account on my computer but every time i do that Im unable to login to that name Only the administrator account is accessible All new accounts createdwill give me this message quot The User Profile Service failed the logon User profile cannot be loaded quot This applies to the guest account as well If this helps when you go to C Users only the main account s folder and a folder called quot Public quot is present Im pretty sure it should have showed the folder of the newly created account Because of this im unable Profile logon. The the failed loaded cannot User profile be Service User to copy files from my main account to the new account as the folder for it does not exist This is frustrating as im trying to create an account for my brother with parental controls But we cant even access it without it saying that the user profile cannot be loaded How can I fix this I ve been following these instructions from Microsoft The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded http support microsoft The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded com kb I went to the registry editor and went to HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows NT CurrentVersion ProfileList It seems that there isn t even any folder associated with the new account I was only able to find a folder associated with the main account But none for the new accounts

Back to the beginning...what steps did you actually take...to create a new profile?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/425494/the-user-profile-service-failed-the-logon-user-profile-cannot-be-loaded/
Relevancy 66.22%

I have literally tried every solution found online and NOTHING seems to work nbsp Our environment Windows server domain controller Windows Pro x bit PC's nbsp Trying to login as a domain user and get the error quot User Profile Service failed the logon nbsp User profile cannot be loaded quot nbsp I can only login with the domain Administrator Service User the profile cannot User Profile be loaded. failed logon. account or the local administrator account nbsp We are NOT using Roaming profiles nbsp The application event logs do have event error and event warning see screenshot below What I have tried Microsoft FixIT Tried editing the SID's out of the registry manually per KB http support microsoft com kb Deleted all domain user profiles from machine Removed PC from domain and rejoined Deleted user account from Active Directory and recreated Verified GPO was not configured to quot allow users to logon with temporary profiles quot SFC scannow Fresh install of Windows Pro Live Essentials nbsp was User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded. never nbsp installed some forums referred to the sqm file fron event ID possible relating to an issue with Live Essentials Google update was never installed nbsp remember seeing it referred to in a forum as well nbsp I am now out of ideas nbsp This has been an ongoing issue for about a month and I am finally admitting defeat nbsp This is my last effort to get help before breaking down and paying the to Microsoft to help resolve it PLEASE HELP Thanks Phillip

A:User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded.

Hi Phillip,

I would like to verify whether the issue only occurs on special Windows 7 computer or on all Windows 7 computers.

I suggest checking the permission of the user profile folders and Default folder. Make sure the users has full control of their profile folders.

Meanwhile, ensure the users are the owner of the C:\Users\theirname\NTUSER.dat. Also, please put NTUSER.dat in the security software exclusion
list for testing.

Please also post in Server Forum to get more assistance.
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserversetup/threads

Best Regards,
NikiPlease remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/cd6f6995-a683-49de-af35-329a09b4a6f1/user-profile-service-failed-the-logon-user-profile-cannot-be-loaded?forum=w7itproinstall
Relevancy 66.22%

Restart F8 brings up F2 Set Up or F12 Boot Menu.  Can't find advanced boot options to start in safe mode.

A:User Profile service faied to logon. User profile cannot be loaded

System manufacturer and model?

FWIW

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/559644/user-profile-service-faied-to-logon-user-profile-cannot-be-loaded/
Relevancy 66.22%

I have a very bad problem with my PC. It started yesterday and the vista system repair came up and scanned my computer. When it finished I clicked finish and my PC restarted then it did it again..and again...and again.
Then I went into safe mode and virus scanned everything but came up with nothing. So I restarted my PC and it said The user profile service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded. So I clicked ok then my user account came up somehow. I clicked it and it took me to desktop except that half of my programs were gone and like nothing worked, all my documents, downloads, pictures were all gone. I can't do anything on that computer, can anyone help please??(I have googled it but none of the solutions work so I want to find an answer specific to my problem)

A:The User Profile Service failed the logon. User Profile cannot be loaded

Most likely it is loading a temporary profile.

First try a system restore to see if can recover the user profile.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-windows-vista-system-restore/

If system restore fails to load while in windows or you get errors, try it from the recovery environment http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial142.html
Here is another solution to try if SR fails to work for you, it shows you how to create a new user account, then log into the new account and copy your old profile over to the new account. This article is for XP but the process is the same for Vista. See "Moving to a new user profile"

http://www.lockergnome.com/it/2004/12/15/get-it-done-recover-a-damaged-windows-xp-user-profile/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/the-user-profile-service-failed-the-logon-user-profile-cannot-be-loaded.856413/
Relevancy 66.22%

Hey all 

Long time user of bleeping computer - gonna jump on in and join the fun and games!

Anyway I work in a small local computer repair shop and recently we had LOADS of Vista and Windows 7 machines with the error

"The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded"

We can repair the fault changing the profile from temporary profile path and swapped the .bak extension in registry. 

But what the hell is causing it? We have had two machine back in within two weeks of initial repair. We figured windows update at first but its not a given. 

cheers!

A:"The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded"

Have you read this Microsoft Support article?

There are similar articles for Vista and XP.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/511054/the-user-profile-service-failed-the-logon-user-profile-cannot-be-loaded/
Relevancy 66.22%

I would like to create a new user and migrate all data settings etc from an existing user to the new user on the same computer Reason is some conflicting names between some computers on the same network and a Windows Home Server I tried changing the name of the user but that doens t change the name of the profile That created some confusion with Remote Desktop Seems that even though I changed the user name I had to log on via Remote Desktop using the old user name I ve read about a method of creating profile Premium to migrate to profile? Vista new How old Home user user the new user logging on then off logging on as the old user and just copying all the files How to migrate old user profile to new user profile? Vista Home Premium from one user to the other after turning on show system and hidden files etc That doesn t migrate any settings I wouldn t think only files And another problem is there isn t enough hdd space to copy the profile not sure what to do other than get a larger hdd which I could do if totally needed I looked at the USMT a little but it looked like a lot of work for what I was doing I ve also seen a step method by Joshua Mouch which still involved copying the files Is there a way to just change the user name and then change the profile name that coincided with that user That way no files are copied or moved just changing the How to migrate old user profile to new user profile? Vista Home Premium profile name associated with that user edit I just found this does How to migrate old user profile to new user profile? Vista Home Premium this really work That s all I want to do change the user name and have that profile name match the user name Delete or rename the profile folder under the users profile folder location locate the key HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows NT CurrentVersion ProfileList and remove the subkey that contains the reference to the profile in question reboot and login as the user this will create a new profile instance Thanks Monte nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-migrate-old-user-profile-to-new-user-profile-vista-home-premium.137256/
Relevancy 66.22%

Hi Recently i have had a few users in our domain unable to logon due to this error To fix the issue nbsp i have been deleting their local profile and then logging back on so they pick up the mandatory profile stored on the server and everything then works fine Server is running server r and workstations are running windows pro nbsp I have just noticed the below error in the event logs on a few of the affected machines Windows cannot copy file C Users lnyberg AppData Local Temp jds tmp to location UNC CM-DC NOCSC Profiles StaffNew V AppData Local Temp jds tmp This error may be caused by network problems or insufficient security rights Profile logon. loaded. Service User profile be User failed the cannot The nbsp DETAIL - Access is denied Is this what could be nbsp causing nbsp the issue with nbsp logging nbsp on I am a bit confused as to why it would be trying to copy a temp file back to the mandatory profile The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded. on the server Any ideas would be great Thanks Shane

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/327332a7-1c13-4cae-ae8b-3a48088d621b/the-user-profile-service-failed-the-logon-user-profile-cannot-be-loaded?forum=w7itprogeneral
Relevancy 66.22%

Im trying to create a new user account on my computer but every time i do that Im unable to login to be User The Service the failed Profile cannot profile loaded User logon. that name Only the main account is accessible All new accounts I create with my account will give me this message quot The User Profile Service failed the logon User profile cannot be loaded quot This applies to the guest account as well If this helps when you go to C Users only the main account's folder and a folder called quot Public quot is present Im pretty sure it should have showed the folder of the newly created account Because of this im unable to copy files from my main account to the new but inaccessible account as the folder for it does not exist This is frustrating as im trying to create an account for my brother with The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded parental controls But we cant even access it without it saying that the user profile cannot be loaded How can I fix this I've been following The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded these instructions from Microsoft Error message quot The User Profile Service failed the logon User profile cannot be loaded I went to the registry editor and went to HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows NT CurrentVersion ProfileList Apparently there should be two folders with S- - that is followed by a long set of numbers but there is only one It seems that there isn't even any folder associated with the new account I was only able to find a folder associated with the main account But none for the new accounts So that method to resolve this problem doesn't work for me I am running Windows Vista

Did you try the other 2 methods from that webpage?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/the-user-profile-service-failed-the-logon-user-profile-cannot-be-loaded-609185.html
Relevancy 66.22%

Hi there I bought my first lappy recently and just when I User profile hard issues disk and had it all set up with the right bells and whistles I made User profile and hard disk issues a very silly mistake of changing the name of my user folder through another admin account Now I am grappling with some petty basically frustating issues How to copy the profile of the corrupt account to a new account with all the gimmicks appearance and all or how to copy the settings of a new profile which I created to another profile or set it as the default profile My comp shows that the C drive has a capacity of GB as against the written on my system box And it says that I have just free But upon deep exploration using WinDirStat I find that the drive has some GB as quot unknown quot and this G of mine does not show up in either system or hidden files How can I ensure that my programs run in all the profiles I keep facing this issue that some programs run in only particular profiles and not in others even when I have installed them in the true admin profile BTW my system config is windows vista basic SP GB GB Dual Core Compaq CQ Its a bit dated but suits me just fine So who has the answers to my problems

A:User profile and hard disk issues

Hi this may help you http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...d-user-profile at least part of the way

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/user-profile-and-hard-disk-issues-422635.html
Relevancy 65.79%

hi :

i would like to find out more from you guys.
what is the data prolicy in your company that restrict user to copy data out to the external media ? assume user can only use/review the data within the company pc only. what are the best practice/ways to prevent user copy data out to their own thumb drive, floppy disk, or cd media etc...

solution that i can think of ...
1. disable the floppy drive.
2. disable the usb port .
3. install only read cd-rom drive.
4. setup file auditing in the file server.

it will be even more troublsome if the pc can access the internet coz they can upload to offsite storage or use webmail to send data to themselves

solution that i can think of ...
1. block all the website and storage site.

what else can i do to restrict it?
tks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-prevent-user-copy-company-data-to-external-media.324242/
Relevancy 65.79%

Hi, I just tried to uninstall a piece of software and it began removing my entire hard drive. I noticed the unexpected file names scrolling past and killed the process. It seemed to be going in alphabetical order and I no longer have any folders starting with 'a' on my computer (all my adobe software is gone ). Is there any way I can undo something like this? I suspect there isn't so is there any log kept of exactly what was deleted? I have backups of pretty much everything, but it's obviously extremely time consuming to recreate my computer so a list of what was deleted would speed things up a bit. Thanks.

Relevancy 65.79%

i just bought a new computer running windows 7 home edition. my question is, can windows 7 make an entire image of my hard drive including (and this important) the recovery partition? If It can can anyone please tell me how. i need to have a complete backup of my hard drive in case of hard drive failure. Your help is greatly appreaciated.
elcoppo

A:backup entire hard drive including partitions

Quote: Originally Posted by elcoppo

i just bought a new computer running windows 7 home edition. my question is, can windows 7 make an entire image of my hard drive including (and this important) the recovery partition? If It can can anyone please tell me how. i need to have a complete backup of my hard drive in case of hard drive failure. Your help is greatly appreaciated.
elcoppo

A better backup program than Windows backup is Macrium Reflect FREE Edition - Information and download It backups whole partitions. You just need to tell it which ones to backup and on what schedule and it does the rest. I have restored my partitions several times and have never had a problem. A large portion of the members here use Macrium. You need a large HDD for the backups as it makes an image of all of your partition on each backup, not incrementals unless you use the pay version of it. I bought a 500 GB drive that I use for only backups and delete the older ones every few weeks. I think you will like it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/266298-backup-entire-hard-drive-including-partitions.html
Relevancy 65.79%

I just installed a 40GB hard drive on my laptop and after installing xp pro it only recognizes 4000mb as the entire hard drive. I went to disk manager and it shows the rest of the hard drive as unallocated space. What can I do to get it to recognize the rest of the space so I can use it. Did I do something wrong when installing xp pro?

A:Problems with XP Pro recognizing entire space on new hard drive

If you right click that unallocated space, you can assign all that space to another partition, which will show up as another drive.

Before you get too far on your laptop though, I'd like to mention that 4GB for your OS drive, especially with XP, is *very* small.

My OS drive is 10GB (I haven't repartitioned in 4 years) and I still run out of space on it unless I install most everything on my D drive.

Your best bet would be to either a) assign that unallocated space to another drive, or b) better yet, re-install XP, but *format* the entire drive as NTFS, and make sure you assign at least 10GB to the drive you'r'e installing on (and alllocate the other 30 to another partition, for storage or whatnot), or c) just format it and assign *all* the space to one drive, and install to that. It'll serve as your OS *and* storage drive.

I personally would recommend b, as that's what I have for my laptop setup. It works great as long as you don't install anything and everything you lay your hands on.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problems-with-xp-pro-recognizing-entire-space-on-new-hard-drive.402399/