Windows Support Forum

External USB 2.0 HD not seen in device manager

Q: External USB 2.0 HD not seen in device manager

I have a WD external USB 2.0 HD. Yesterday, there was a message on screen asking to update driver or something. I ignored it. Now, the HD is gone. It is not under device manager/disk drives. Everything under universal serial bus controllers works properly.

I downloaded HDD Scan and ran it. It did not find the drive. What can I do now?

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: External USB 2.0 HD not seen in device manager

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: External USB 2.0 HD not seen in device manager

Try this:

1. Uninstall your USB Mass Storage Device then Scan for Hardware Changes.
2. Clear your Mountpoint. You can use Autorun Protector (req .NET2.0) or delete all Mountpoints2 entries in regedit
3. Use DriveCleanup (posted by LookinAround)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-usb-2-0-hd-not-seen-in-device-manager.169828/
Relevancy 22.79%

Every 10 seconds audio manager will set the volume on my mic to 0 and mute it I have already tried to uninstall it and reinstall it but no result.
It may be malware but I am not sure as of yet. Would really appreciate help right now.

A:Realtek Audio Manager Mic Problem

Problem Solved, As suspected it was malware. To fix this launch task manager, then go to start up, go through the list if something dosn't have a icon or dosn't seem to fit in right click and open its file location. If you are definite that it is malware disable it, restart go to the file location and delete all the files.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/realtek-audio-manager-mic-problem.216938/
Relevancy 21.93%

Hi, My first post here

I really need some help I purchased a new WD My Book 4tb and have all my videos and pictures on this drive - I have always disconnected the drive properly but tonight when I connected to the laptop I get the following message;

I cant access the drive to see if any of the files are there or not

I have not done anything other than click on the drive yet as I don't want to do anything wrong I have so much on here I don't want to lose. Thanks

A:WD My Book 4tb External USB Crashed

You've already messed up by keeping only 1 copy of important files :/

Is H the typical drive letter designation for that drive? I assume it is what you expected since you tried to open it. Can you take a screenshot of what Disk Management looks like with the drive on and connected?

Have you tried a different USB cable or tried it on a different computer?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wd-my-book-4tb-external-usb-crashed.204917/
Relevancy 21.93%

Hello,

first I already wanna thank everybody who replies to this and try to help me. Yesterday morning I tried to download a sound driver that would make the Stereo Mix option available. It was not from the original website of Realtek or HP. It was from here: http://driveragent.com/c/archive/196a161c/Realtek-High-Definition-audio#summary. After I finished the installation and restarted my PC there was a red cross next to the sound icon and when I tried to open volumemixer it said 'No audio output device installed'. I tried to uninstall it with system restore. Than I also tried to install the latest sound drivers from the Realtek and HP site but both didn't work. Also I saw on another topic that maybe some services were stopped but that wasn't. Now I really don't know what to do. Hope someone can help me.

Tsjeuke

PC manufactrurer: HP
Operating system: Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 32-bit

A:There is no output device (Realtek HD Audio)

Your PC manufacturer is HP but what is the model?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/there-is-no-output-device-realtek-hd-audio.216620/
Relevancy 21.93%

Hi, as the title suggests I've got a bit of a sound problem:

I wish to record some of my digital sound (e.g. my friends in Skype) using Audacity and stereo mix. However, using the built-in stereo mix record feature Audacity has, no sound is being recorded. So I checked out the stereo mix device under 'recording devices' in 'Sound' and found that it was not detecting any sound at all.

I'm not totally sure as to how all it's settings must be, but it's like this now:

Listen to: enabled
Playback through: Speakers (Realtek HD Audio)

The device is set to be 'used' ofcourse.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Marty

A:No sound coming through 'stereo mix' device

Go to Edit -> Preferences and to the 'Audio I/O' or 'Devices' tab, and make sure the the audio INPUT is set to the source you want to hear from, in this case, the pc sound card or such, apparently Windows 7 does not change the input device when you select the Stereo Mix function for some reason.

If that's not the case, maybe your sound driver isn't allowing the stereo mix to work, you can try the Control Panel configuring method, which you can find at the audacity website (i can't set up links yet, but go to wiki.audacityteam.org/ and add this: index.php?title=Mixer_Toolbar_Issues#Using_the_Control_Panel) [sorry for this, but it's for a good reason, i'm not a bot/spam ]
kind of a pain to read through and configure everything, but will fix the issue.

If you don't want any trouble at all, you can just plug you speaker in the PC's 'Line In' plug (the blue one), and set Audacity's Input device to "Line in" or such.

Good luck.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-sound-coming-through-stereo-mix-device.173670/
Relevancy 21.07%

I m writing this post because this was asked so many internal speakers together your Make external & laptop play times over but nobody seems to have come up with a good answer People suggested Make your laptop internal & external speakers play together some trials of paid programs but that Make your laptop internal & external speakers play together s not really an everyman solution I don t know on how many machines my workaround will work depends on the audio chip I m going to tell you how to do this in foobar My system is Win I think that this will work only if you see something like this in your Playback devices right-click windows audio icon amp select from menu to launch it So if the headphone output is not quot Ready quot when nothing is plugged into it you will maybe be able to use the HDMI output if you feel adventurous or for that matter any output that you have You possibly have no idea why I m talking about that but this will be clear after reading through the rest of my little manual ------------------- download amp install foobar here http www foobar org download play around with it of you don t know the player download amp install the latest ASIO ALL here http www asio all com leave all install options default download ASIO support for foobar http www foobar org components view foo out asio double-click it fb k will install it automatically go to foobar file- gt preferences- gt output- gt asio Check if asio all is visible at the top list You can use the x driver requires foobar restart Add a new channel mapping Don t change the name you won t need it anyway click quot configure quot ASIO ALL window will pop up Enable advanced settings bottom right now there s the icky tricky part Click the next to all and enable all the outputs that you like sometimes the HDMI output is also there What you really need is sth like quot internal speakers out quot and quot HpOut quot On my computer Dell Inspiron R it looks like this IF YOU CAN T SEE TWO OUTPUT DEVICES HERE YOU WILL PROBABLY NOT BE ABLE TO DO THIS Sorry everything depends on how your soundcard handles it maybe connecting the headphones will make it appear Try around Click quot cancel quot this was for other outputs to appear Click quot Add new quot Rename it to quot int ext quot or whatever Map lt channel name gt to the Left channel and lt channel name gt to Right you can play with that even build a faux surround with a bit of luck Play test signals if you re not sure where each channel should be On my machine it s like that Click OK Apply then restart fb k and go to file- gt preferences- gt output Select the output ASIO int ext Click OK Play your favorite piece of audio If you did everything correctly you should hear all the outputs together Meaning your internal speakers and the jack-connected headphones or speakers The sound will work ONLY fb k you will have to stop the music to use any other program that outputs sound ASIO overrides Windows output Most music files will work The method is transferable to any program that can support ASIO Leave some feedback if it worked for you Or if it didn t anything s good nbsp

A:Make your laptop internal & external speakers play together

Props to OP - I've found a somewhat related hassle-free solution for desktops with Realtek Audio.

In the settings, you can 'disable front jack detection'. Therefore, speakers connected to the rear panel won't stop when you plug something else in the front.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/make-your-laptop-internal-external-speakers-play-together.191124/
Relevancy 18.92%

Hello I have a Dell Inspiron laptop I have an image of the entire hard drive that I created when I first got the computer using Acronis TrueImage and I d like to restore that image returning the laptop back to that fresh clean original state I ve done this two or three times before and it worked great each time But now there s a problem Normally I would in boots as when drive external but laptop hard Primary recognized isn't drive used connect to the laptop a USB storage backup drive that has the disk image boot the laptop from a Rescue Media CD created by Acronis then restore that disk image from the back-up drive onto the laptop s HDD When I tried it this time round the laptop s HDD was not listed in TrueImage at all I created a new rescue media disk tried it again and got the same result I then took the HDD out of the laptop connected it to Primary hard drive boots in laptop but isn't recognized when used as external drive an adapter kit that let s you power up and plug in the drive via a USB port and external power supply and tried the same procedure using my desktop to run the operation Same result The drive was not detected by Acronis The drive does not seem to spin up at all Primary hard drive boots in laptop but isn't recognized when used as external drive when it is connected Keep in mind the drive still works when installed in the laptop -- it boots into Windows XP etc When I plug the drive into my desktop the drive does not show up in Disk Management Start Right-click My Computer Manage Disk Management It doesn t show up in either of the two right-side windows so there s no way I know of to format it or do any work on it in Windows When I go to Device Manager Disk Drives I see quot USB Device quot for that drive and under Properties it is listed as quot Disk Drives quot for quot Device Type quot and its status says it is working properly So what I don t get is it works fine when it is in the laptop boots into XP etc but when connected as an external drive or when the laptop is being run off of CD the drive can t be detected and not on just one computer but multiple Is it junk Any ideas nbsp

A:Primary hard drive boots in laptop but isn't recognized when used as external drive

It's a power issue. Had the same issue taking a 2.5" laptop hdd and attempting to hook up w/ a passive usb sata hdd cable. my recommendation is to use a powered usb sata cable. like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812119475 having proper power will allow the USB bus to detect and power the hdd correctly. Hope this helps, take care!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/primary-hard-drive-boots-in-laptop-but-isnt-recognized-when-used-as-external-drive.174938/
Relevancy 21.5%

My Friend has a HP Pavilion DV2000 Laptop. His display isn't work. Suddenly display gone. But I thought it could be Display problem not a VGA. So, i tried to connect an external monitor and used Shortcut keys to change the display. I pressed fu + F1 or Fu + F2 or Fu + F3 or Fu + F4 up-to F12. But no result.
I couldn't check whether it's a Display or VGA card problem. IS there any other way to check it. in addition to these is there any other combination keys to Change the display to an external monitor. I'm unable to check whether i get login or not. if I can login then i can use Windows Key + P. Then i can select mode. But I'm Unable to anything here. Please help me to find the problem and i have to take it to repairing shop.
Thanks in Advanced

A:Change display of laptop to external monitor

It should be the Fn + the key that shows a monitor symbol. If it still doesn't display, the motherboard video processor has failed, and not the LCD Panel

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/change-display-of-laptop-to-external-monitor.168817/
Relevancy 21.93%

Hi All,
This is my first post here
So the issue I am facing is that I have a Dell Laptop with dual graphics card (Intel(R) 4400 integrated and AMD Radeon 8850m dedicated). The System would not detect any AMD driver installed on it. The device manager was showing only the Intel Graphics Card being installed .
Then I went on to uninstall the Catalyst Command Center from Control Panel, wherein I completely uninstalled the AMD Graphics driver and everything related to it.
Now, AMD is not at all being recognized by my system. Device manager doesnt show it even in hidden devices, DriverEasy scan doesnt read it, Even Dell System detect is failing to detect the AMD graphics Card.

How do I proceed ahead with this issue.

Have I somehow unmounted the hardware internally?
Is there anyway besides a factory reset to get this working again ( I have concerns with a factory reset also not helping me )
What system scan tools can I use to get my laptop to recognize the Device again?
Please Help
Thanks In Advance

A:AMD Radeon 8850m device is missing

Have you tried going to Dell support site and down loading the orginal drivers and software for your graphics.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/amd-radeon-8850m-device-is-missing.215797/
Relevancy 21.5%

Today, my external hard drive has not appeared on my PC. It did work before I went to sleep yet when I began my PC in the next morning, it didn't show. Can you please help me how to fix this?

A:External hard drive not showing up on my PC

Hello there,

There are a lot of different reasons for an HDD to stop showing. A few things you can try are:

Try using a different USB cable, make sure it is as short as the original one, or even shorter. This is important it terms of providing enough power for the drive to function properly.

Try connecting it to different USB ports.

Try connecting it to a different PC.

Sometimes the drive can misbehave due to insufficient power even if it appears to be spinning make sure you connect the HDD directly to the USB port and not through a USB hub.

Check if you can see the HDD in Windows Device Manager and in Disk Management. Good luck.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-not-showing-up-on-my-pc.209548/
Relevancy 43%

I was updating my graphics card drivers for my graphic card PNY GEFORCE GTX 660 and went to device manager, I used ?automatically search for new driver? and a dialog box appeared "Windows has determined that the driver is up to date".
Yet, I went to Nvidia website and did a driver update. I checked again Device manager for my display adapter and the new driver was TWO MONTHS NEWER.
I wonder why that happens.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/why-is-device-manager-lying-to-me-about-the-last-driver-version-for-my-graphics-card.215610/
Relevancy 21.5%

Dear frnds,

I have been using my external hard disk(WD My Passport Essential SE) 1 Tb, since last 6 months, but after a recent virus scan, my laptop is not showing the external hard disk, i have tried using My computer, Manage and Disk management.

I am unable to find external hard disk even in Disk management i.e. it is not showing.
So please can anyone help me in this concern......
I would really appreciate and thanks in advance

A:Problem with my external WD 1TB My Passport hard disk

First, try accessing it from another computer to be sure it can be accessed elsewhere. The Western Digital Passport Essential has had a pretty high failure rate as seen in our shop... so the unavailable external hard disk may not have anything to do with the virus scan may have nothing to do with the problem.

In other cases, I would attempt to reinstall the Passport drive. You do not usually cause any damage to the data on the drive when you do this.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-with-my-external-wd-1tb-my-passport-hard-disk.176021/
Relevancy 21.07%

Hi

Thanks for any help in advance..

I own a WD MyBook 4TB hard drive, which I've used on Windows for the past 2 years. I got a macbook last week and hooked the drive into it, some error message came up so I figured it wouldn't work, however when I went to plug it back into my windows machine I got the "USB device not recognised" message, the laptop is windows 8. I then tried it on my fathers windows xp computer and it seemed to think it was a completely new hard drive..

I've done some googling on it but I just wanted to ask here incase I went formatting it by mistake or anything..any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

A:External USB hard drive not recognised on Windows after plugging it into a Mac

Sounds like you made some procedural error, allowing the Mac to alter the partition - - bad choice.

Using Windows tools, examine the partition on that drive - - should show up as
somelabel (dl): size HTFS
Healthy (other qualifiers)​
Try Control Panel ->Admin Tools->Computer Mgmt->Disk Mgmt

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-usb-hard-drive-not-recognised-on-windows-after-plugging-it-into-a-mac.200827/
Relevancy 21.93%

Hi I have a few questions about my external hard drive. I play games and I noticed that my internal hard drive was getting full so I bought a new external hard drive. I was wondering if I backed up my internal hard drive to my external one and then formatted my internal hard drive, would I have to re install everything or would I be able to access my games and such. Thanks for your time its much appreciated.

A:External Hard Drive

You would have to e-install all of your games, and applications, and windows updates

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive.213122/
Relevancy 21.93%

I have a Vista Home Premium bit pc sp I have an audio problem The audio usually works perfect This is the second time in monts external sound from No speakers that for some reason it just doesn t get thru the speakers Although they sound like they are working perfect I have external speakers and the LED light is on to show the power is on If I turn the speaker on off it appears the sound is excellent On the speaker icon in the taskbar there is no red line through it All volumes appear fine When I right click speaker icon left click playback devices there is one icon quot speakers quot Realtek High Definition Audio checkmarked quot working quot Everything on the bottom is greyed out There is no yellow warnings under device manager When I click on sound it says quot Realtek High Definition Audio quot Right clicking for properities bring up the device is working properly The light is lit on my networks card is that what it s called My sister used the headphones a few days ago and said No sound from external speakers there hasn t been sound since although when I plugged them in there was no sound thru the headphones OR the speakers Speakers ARE working Attached is the DxDiag file My sister thanks you a million in advance for any instructions we can follow nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-sound-from-external-speakers.212794/
Relevancy 21.07%

Guys I need all the expert help I can get I ve got a Western Digital quot My Book quot i think it was called that that has had every picture that me and my girlfriend have ever corrupt drive hard photos All on newborn external taken including when we first met holidays pets and most importantly pictures of All newborn photos corrupt on external hard drive my girlfriends pregnancy and s of photo s of our month old son that have all gone missing and even some other photo s that still show the thumbnail image don t open because I get an error saying that photo s are corrupt or damaged my girlfriend is already going mad and I don t know what software to get them back At present i ve tried opening with different picture veiwers like photoshop no luck I ve tried EASEUS Photo recovery software but then cancelled because I read that Recova could do a better job turns out recova doesn t work on external drives NOW NOTHING WILL OPEN ON THE EXTERNAL HDD I need some expert advise on what program WORKS to try and recovery these files A S A P because otherwise we will be devistated I don t wanna buy loads diferent software only to find that i m doing more damage nbsp

A:All newborn photos corrupt on external hard drive

try pc inspector file recovery. http://www.snapfiles.com/get/smartrecovery.html

ALWAYS back up photos to more than one device.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/all-newborn-photos-corrupt-on-external-hard-drive.156964/
Relevancy 21.93%

Got a WD 500 Gb ext. drive. Won't turn on. pls, help

A:WD external drive

Is it a brand new hard drive? if yes, then you need to contact tech support of the drive and get help

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wd-external-drive.212453/
Relevancy 18.49%

Hello friends
i am unable to get sound from the external speakers , when the speaker jack is connected to the cpu i hear sound from the internal speakers, how do i get my external speakers working

regards
Shiv

A:Unable to hear from the hear external speakers

shiv said:

Hello friends
i am unable to get sound from the external speakers , when the speaker jack is connected to the cpu i hear sound from the internal speakers, how do i get my external speakers working

regards
ShivClick to expand...

How about some more info about your system man?

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic33297.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/unable-to-hear-from-the-hear-external-speakers.174073/
Relevancy 21.07%

Hello I need urgent help with resolving this as I am trying to get the harddrive showing up or at least recover files by Hard Portable Drive External Slim detected Seagate PC not I was using it at school first and my computer froze so I shut down the Seagate Portable External Hard Drive Slim not detected by PC computer and restarted without safely removing Seagate Portable External Hard Drive Slim not detected by PC the hard drive at first the PC wouldnt reboot because I had it still plugged in after unplugging it and the PC loaded up it did not recognize the hard drive anymore I have tried it on several PCs including the one at home all using Windows and none of them recognize it I tried all USB ports on my PC and none of them work the light on the hard drive is ON so I know there is no connectivity issue I tried several free trial softwares even the ones by Seagate and none of them recognized the drive so I cannot use their tools for recovering files or detecting the hard drive When I check the Disk Management it does not show there When I check the Device Manager it does not show under USB controllers but it DOES show under Disk Drives I also checked and the drive is up to date The Model is BUP Slim BK In my quick launch the drive is recognized there and gives me the option to Eject it but it doesn t actually Eject it when I click on it it either stop responding or does nothing unless I manually unplug it EDIT After a really long time the Eject message says the device is already in use which is probably why it doesnt Safely eject nbsp

A:Seagate Portable External Hard Drive Slim not detected by PC

I am also having the same problem, as I need to get some stuff off my hard drive but it does not show up on any of it, was just wondering if you had found a way to fix this yet?
Kind Regards

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/seagate-portable-external-hard-drive-slim-not-detected-by-pc.207640/
Relevancy 21.93%

I have one problem with my PC sound on board,
My pc is windows 7 ultimate 32bit, Intel Desktop Board E210882,
The driver is already install but the icon of sound still red cross like image attach file, I already plug in the headset, any one please help me?

thank, seahong heng

A:No audio output device is installed

Well, one way or another, your computer isn't using the device, so have you checked to see if it's disabled in any way? right click the speaker and go to playback devices, it'll come up with a list of your sound devices, make sure the one you're trying to use isn't disabled (right click to change that) if you're unsure which is yours, just enable them all lemme know if that helps at all

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-audio-output-device-is-installed.188878/
Relevancy 21.5%

Whenever I connect my external hard disk to my laptop, my computer freezes as soon as I My Computer to access it or click on 'Open to view files' in the autorun menu. I cannot do once this happens. Not even task manager can be opened. The computer unfreezes and starts working fine after I unplug my hard disk. But it works just fine on my friend's laptop.
This started happening a few days ago. Till then I could use the hard disk normally without any problems. Can anyone please help me out with this problem?
My operating system is windows 7 and I am using Avast Internet Security 7 antivirus

A:My laptop freezes when I connect an external HDD

What type of external HDD is it? Of what Brand?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-laptop-freezes-when-i-connect-an-external-hdd.180809/
Relevancy 21.93%

I have done some research and have not found a solution to my problem.

I plug in my HDD (Fantom Drive, Green Drive) and I hear the 2tone sound when I plug it into my USB2.0 port.
My computer then searches for a driver. It decides a suitable driver for what I plugged in is called "Initio Default Controller". I got this information from the Device Manager.
I have looked in my "computer and right clicked "manage". The HDD is not listed. I have used more than one USB cord, ports, and 2 different computers with the same problem.
Both the computers are running windows 7 64bit. One is a laptop (ASUS) and a desktop(HP).

Can someone please help me with this problem.

Thanks,
Chris&Dawn

A:External HDD not recognized by my computer

So I said the facts but I never mentioned exactly what the issue is. sorry.

When I open my computer when the external HDD is plugged in, it's not there. I can't save files in it, open anything, it's just not there.

Also the icon that pops up that lets you "remove hardware safley" in the bottom right is not there. Also the external hard drive does not show up on any programs like "Defraggler" or "Speccy"

Thanks,
Chris&Dawn

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hdd-not-recognized-by-my-computer.176212/
Relevancy 21.93%

My external drive cannot be detected by any computer. I also used diskmgmt and devmgmt. I plugged it to different usb ports as well but to no avail. I have important files here and I really need your help. thanks

A:Undetected external drive

What OS and how do u connect to this drive? Also have u tried the drive on another computer?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/undetected-external-drive.207982/
Relevancy 21.93%

Hi, Could anyone tell me any ideas on trying to get my usb device to work again. Not recognizing on my computer. Went into device managers and can see unknown device. I have tried uninstalled it and pluged it back in but all it says is successful installed unknown device. The computer doesnt even know what it is. Is it possible to try and install a driver for it and tell it that its a usb device?

Thank you
Mitch

A:Sandisk Cruzer unknown device

Sometimes the drives just die. This shouldn't be a driver issue, do other flash drives work in the computer? Have you tried this drive in a different computer?

You could open up disk management and see if you can delete the partition and create a new one, or simply format the existing one as NTFS or exfat. WARNING: Doing this will cause you to lose any data you may have on the drive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sandisk-cruzer-unknown-device.209278/
Relevancy 21.07%

Hey,

Yesterday, I was working with my PC while my 1TB Seagate external hard (http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-FreeAgent-Ultra-Portable-External-STAA1000101/dp/B0045JLPMO) was plugged in via USB. The USB connection was a little bit loose.

Then when I was plugging a USB flash memory in, I noticed that the external hard was disconnected.
I connected it again, but it didn't appear in My Computer.
Here is the state in Disk Management and Device Manager:

After that, I plugged out the "SATA to USB converter" from the hard and connected it directly to SATA cable inside the PC case (like internal HDD), but this time nothing showed up in Disk Management, Device Manager and BIOS. However, it took a long time for the system to boot.

I searched and read lots of threads and tested some other stuff:

(It didn't appear in Minitool Partion Wizad).

I've got a lot of data on this HDD which really matters to me.
Any help is really appreciated.

A:FreeAgent 1TB External Hard stopped working (unknown, not initialized)

Hi there Sedhadi,

If your HDD is failing the manufacturer's tests it is probably dead. IF you need to get your data back look for a reputable data recovery company in the area.
Hope that helps.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/freeagent-1tb-external-hard-stopped-working-unknown-not-initialized.208828/
Relevancy 21.5%

I have a monitor that I want to get connected to my HP 210 mini notebook. What will I do in order that my computer be able to detect the external monitor connected to it. I already installed the driver of the monitor.

A:Not Detecting the External Monitor Connected with a netbook

Connecting a monitor to a laptop should be simple. Most laptops automatically pick it up and ask if you want to start using it and how (Duplicate, Extend, Screen 1 OR Screen 2).

There are a few different ways to switch to it, on laptops there's usually a " FN" Key (If no "FN" Key, substitute with CTRL sometimes), and across the F1-F12 keys (sometimes the 1-9 keys..) there as symbols. You want to press the one that looks like a monitor and it should bring up an On Screen Display that shows you choices, and while holding the FN(Or CTRL) key and pressing it again it should change it to the other options as previously mentioned.

The other option depends on what operating system you have on the laptop. Win7, 8, Vista, XP? (I assume 7 or 8)

Anyways let me know if that helped narrow it down, otherwise we'll try the last step which is in basic terms: Control Panel > Display Settings.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/not-detecting-the-external-monitor-connected-with-a-netbook.208635/
Relevancy 21.93%

Hey, I'm a new member here with a problem!

I have a pair of Skullcandy Crushers with an arguably great built-in mic that turn on with a press of a button. However I built a new computer a few days ago and installed the latest version of the ASUS Realtek HD Audio manager, and while the audio on the headphones work, the mic refuses to work and isn't even recognized on programs like Skype and Hangouts.

I have tried the front two ports and tinkered with the settings and nothing has worked as of now, please help ASAP!

-Extabyte

A:Skullcandy Crusher mic not working with ASUS Realtek HD Audio Manager

Yeah thats because Skullcandys aren't really built for computers, just iPhone & Android. I had the same issue with my Skullcandy headphones and decided to buy a legit for PC headset. Sorry you spent your money on them!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/skullcandy-crusher-mic-not-working-with-asus-realtek-hd-audio-manager.204154/
Relevancy 21.5%

Hi, I am having a problem with my external hard drive not working. My laptop cannot read the drive, it does not display properly in my computer and when I try to click on it it freezes and the message appears "Drive is not accessible, parameters are incorrect". I used it about three weeks ago and it was fine so I don't know what happened. I always make sure to safely remove it and am careful not to damage it. The light still still turns on when plugged in and I can hear it trying to work.

I really want to keep the files as they are from my previous laptop which died and do not have them stored anywhere else. My fault I know, but I had thought external hard drives were more reliable and I do not like the idea of cloud storage. Because of this I am hesitant to try CHKDSK. Is there anything else I can do to recover the files or fix the drive? If I take it to a computer technician would they be able to do it?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hdd-error-not-accessible-parameters-incorrect.208079/
Relevancy 42.14%

I've a External HDD( Western Digital company-500GB) which was working properly last night but today it's not working. when I connect the EXt. HDD to my laptop usb port then it's got power but not shows in my computer.
when I go to device management it shows a window (you need to initialize before logical disk management can access it.) but when I go to initialize the HDD then show it "the media write protected". I cann't initialize the HDD and cann't access the HDD.

Someone help me to recover my old DATA from this Ext. HDD.

Thanks for advance.

A:External HDD not recognize my laptop & cann't initialize it from Device manegment

Hello Rajib Sarker,
The first important thing to note here is that if you initialize your HDD you will lose all the information that was stored on it. Sometimes portable external HDDs can behave like that if they are not getting enough power. It would be a good idea to try and connect your HDD using a different USB cable, preferably a short one. Another thing you can try is connecting your HDD to different USB ports and to a different computer. You can also run WD DLG diagnostics tool to test the HDD http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=GTBpZQ .
Hope that helps.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hdd-not-recognize-my-laptop-cannt-initialize-it-from-device-manegment.207752/
Relevancy 20.64%

I had a new PC so I thought I would do a recovery disk on a separate partition of my parent's disk. Turns out windows wipes out everything regardless of partition when it does that. So now lifelong memories are gone and I'm freaking out! I used EaseUS to make different partitions which were deleted. After I found that the partition I chose stayed the same size but was renamed RECOVERY and it had the recovery data in it. However the rest was "unused" and so I dragged the RECOVERY to make full use of the disk and then I started scanning it deeply with hard drive recovery software. I am now through scanning with my 2nd program now (1st one didn't give me the files I needed) and I'm using RecoverMyFiles. The problem is I'm not really getting back any of the files I had deleted by windows, but I get some stupid windows files which were probably deleted in the recovery process!! PLEASE help me!!! I am desperate. Future hanging in balance thank you.

A:Recovering Lifelong Memories from Windows Recovery-Wiped External Hard Drive

There are quite a few programs you could try, I have had most success with Recuva by Piriform, but recently this program was said to be excellent by a user,
http://www.ylcomputing.com/content/view/350/153/
Obviously it's worthwhile trying both of them.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/recovering-lifelong-memories-from-windows-recovery-wiped-external-hard-drive.207350/
Relevancy 21.93%

My Asus DRW 24B1ST CD/DVD-Rom device works in Dos (bootCD works no problems), and is recognized by my WinXP Device Manager and listed as working properly. But when I try to run or view a disk from My Computer, all I get is a blank window. The window has the correct partition/drive identity, so I know it's pointing to the device, but it just won't interact with the disk.

The same device was working fine in a previous WinXP installation on the same computer, but when I installed another WinXP sp2 (I had lost access to the original installation) I had a few glitches and this is the remaining one that needs to be fixed.

BTW, I can bootup from a bootCD and run a miniXP and have no problem with the CD/DVD-ROM device, so the issue must be with the current WinXP installation.

Any suggestions for repairing this problem?

A:CD-ROM device won't open or run disk

Wow very interesting. Yo had mentioned it will boot to disc, have you tried while in safe mode. So if you restart computer and utilize the function f8 button go to safe mode with networking check to see if it works in there. If it does then I assume it is driver related issue. Of course in safe mode it loads minimum drivers to have a functioning safe environment. Even though windows recognizes it in device manager does not mean it has a working driver. I would even go as far as uninstalling the driver and reinstalling one from the manufactures website. You could first try uninstalling the driver then rebooting the computer then letting windows reinstalling the driver upon boot up to see if that fixes it first. Hope this helps let me know what you find.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cd-rom-device-wont-open-or-run-disk.206972/
Relevancy 21.93%

I have around external HDDs some I use for Wii games some for PS games They are not originally external usually any HDD of can devices None external my detect taken out from PC or Laptop Various producers WD Seagate This morning I played GTA V using one of them I use cables for SATA ATA HDD adapter and the USB cable I bought new ones few days ago so I don t think connection is problem Besides you can hear them spinning and PC pops up message about a None of my devices can detect any external HDD usb malfunctioning and in Driver Manager it shows Unkown device until I unplug it Problem started when PS couldn t load HDD It shows USB icon like it s trying to load but it s gone and it doesn t load any files I tried other HDDs that haven t been ever plugged in laptop or PS using my main PC with windows xp SP and Norton Antivirus It doesn t load at all Disk management also doesn t load All devices load USB sticks without problem But suddenly none of these HDDs can be detected even in Seatools and I don t see a connection between these HDDs like how did they all out of sudden start behaving like this nbsp

A:None of my devices can detect any external HDD

You might want to have a look at this program;
http://www.uwe-sieber.de/drivetools_e.html
On that site, scroll down to the 9th black heading; Drivecleanup.zip
It runs as a DOS command, I use this once every few weeks to clear out the USB history, which might be why your PC is having trouble connecting to all your external HDDs. I have used this for years, very useful.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/none-of-my-devices-can-detect-any-external-hdd.206788/
Relevancy 21.07%

My 320 GB Seagate external hard drive is detected but not showing up in my computer. What should I do?

In cmd> diskpart> list volume it does not show up. (screenshot attached)

In Device Manager it gets detected. (screenshot attached)

In disk management it shows up as 'unallocated'. If I initialize it, will I lose all data on the drive? It had 4 partitions. (screenshot attached)

In My Computer also it does not show up. (screenshot attached)
Even BIOS recognizes it.

What to do? I don't want to lose any data on the drive. If I initialize it in device manager will I lose data?

I was installing window XP on my computer, usually I remove the external drive but this time I did not. The external drive was shown as 4 drives in partition manager during installation. But the installation failed. The next time I was installing windows again, the external drive was shown as 1 single unknown or unrecognized drive. I'm not sure if it was unknown or unrecognized. I'm sure I didn't format it. So what I need to do now? I don't want to lose any data.

A:Seagate external hard drive not showing up in my computer. It is detected.

Yes, if you initialize it you will 'lose' everything. You will want to try something like [email protected] Recovery or maybe Easeus Partition Recovery.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/seagate-external-hard-drive-not-showing-up-in-my-computer-it-is-detected.205926/
Relevancy 21.07%

Hi,

I'm using a Huawei Mobile Broadband E303 and I've been having this problem for 6-7 days now Ples halp
It was working perfectly fine before but now the speed wont go past 60-70kbps.
My current operating system is windows 7 ( V 6.1.7601 )

I've tried using it on other laptops with windows 7/xp/vista as their operating systems still the same problem except for my brothers laptop which runs on windows 8. and dont tell me that this Thing wont work because its not compatible with my operating system, because I've been using it for over a year without an issue.

My ipconfig shows:
Mobile Broadband adapter Mobile Broadband Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::7450:69bc:7a3e:fee8%57
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 172.22.155.137
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.252
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 172.22.155.138
And when I try to do nslookup:
C:\Windows\system32>nslookup
Default Server: google-public-dns-a.google.com
Address: 8.8.8.8

The default server shouldn't be that thing. please help. Nor the address

Edit: I've tried Uninstalling the Program which came with the USB.
I've tried calling my ISP, with no problems on their end.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/your-computer-seems-to-be-correctly-configured-but-the-device-or-resource-dns-server-not-respondin.206332/
Relevancy 21.5%

I have 2 new external hard discs do show on my computer .They are running but not showing in PC.What to do ? Thank you

A:External hard drives not showing up

Hello,

I'm not completely certain that I understood your situation. I wonder if it's possible to clarify the question? Otherwise Disk Management is a good place to start looking for a missing HDD.
If the HDD is brand new you might need to initialize it. This is needed if below the disk it says ?Not Initialized?. Right-click on the Disk that says ?Not Initialized? and click ?Initialize Disk?. Then you will have the option to choose between MBR and GPT. If the drive is more than 2 TB you should use GPT, if not you could use MBR as well. Once the Disk is listed as Basic and online right click the unallocated space and click create a ?New Simple Volume?. For the file system choose ?NTFS? if you want to use the HDD on Windows.

Hope that helps.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drives-not-showing-up.205942/
Relevancy 21.07%

This issue started when I was connected to it and while accessing it recognized Google at day my despite External drive fu not attempt long I touched the cable and it disconnected Since that External drive not recognized despite my day long attempt at Google fu no luck in finding the external drive to External drive not recognized despite my day long attempt at Google fu access it I ve been using it for a a year and although a touch of the cable caused a disconnect it still worked well The device shows up nowhere on my laptop which I use to edit my photographs Here s a screenshot showing device manager disk management etc http I imgur com u ezzj png The hard drive is a WD MyBook Essential TB that is named quot Local Disk E quot on my laptop I should mention the hard drive s light is on when I plug it to the computer and will idly blink The light is off if not connected to a computer even if it is plugged in to a power source My troubleshooting steps Use different cables-- did not work Connect it to other USB ports-- did not work Connect other devices iPhone and a different WD hard drive -- all devices work on all ports Check for presence in disk management and device manager-- nothing there so I can t change the drive letter Remove all USB drivers and reinstall using Intel USB driver set obtained from Asus website using my computer model Asus G VW http www service asus com downloads c wax -- did not work Install drivers obtained from WD support website link to model http support wdc com product download asp groupid amp lang en -- did not work Shut down disconnect then start up and connect hard drive-- did not work Change cables and test-- nothing wrong with cables The biggest f you of them all connect the same hard drive to another laptop-- works flawlessly I am at a complete loss on what to do nbsp

A:External drive not recognized despite my day long attempt at Google fu

What do you mean by the point #9. Did it really worked well on different computers? Have you replaced cable or anything before connecting it to different computer?

The reason I'm asking it because you've already tried everything we could suspect off for the external hard drive to not work properly.

Instead of connecting it externally, try connecting it directly to the motherboard using SATA/IDE cable and see if it may start properly and allows you to see your data properly.

In worst case, you can take help from the WD support professional or alternatively, can ask for returns if the hard drive is in warranty.

Good luck though!!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-drive-not-recognized-despite-my-day-long-attempt-at-google-fu.205135/
Relevancy 21.5%

I live in Las Vegas, NV. and I'm using a Clear Hub Wireless 4G Express as my wireless connection for my Desk Top PC [ Windows 7 ]
I contacted Clear Support and did every thing they told me to do to try to improve the signal but the reception is still terrible.
On a good day I only get 2 lights out of 5 on the unit. Can anyone recommend a decent correct kind of external antenna that might help. It has to be cheap because I don't know if it will even help.
Thank you.

A:External antenna opinion wanted

You want something like this

-- that's a MIMO router - - use google to search for that term.

Secondly, place the router near an exterior wall or window.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-antenna-opinion-wanted.205014/
Relevancy 21.5%

Hi, I have a Verbatim Store n' go ex hard drive which used to work perfectly with usb 3.0 and 2.0. A few weeks ago it stopped working with 2.0 and now not even with 3.0. When I plug it in the hard disk starts to rotate and lights up normally, but is never shown on the drive list. The computer doesn't even do the beep sound when a usb device is connected. I tried on 2 different pc's but they show no result.

Any kind of help is greatly appreciated

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-failure.204788/
Relevancy 21.07%

Hi Frnds

I hav a Toshiba 1 TB external HDD. It was working fyn till today. Now it is not showing in My Computer or Disk Management. It does make the sound when I connect or disconnect it from the laptop. and the HDD light remains on.

Please advise how to fix this

Thanks

A:Toshiba external USB hard drive not detected in any laptop

Go under the Device Manager and uninstall all the USB Controllers then reboot your PC don't connect the 1 TB just yet. Make sure nothing is connect to those ports like a keyboard or mouse otherwise they'll lockup. Once rebooted Windows will rebuild the table for USB Controllers. Now you should be all set. Unless you have some sort of conflict with IRQ or Registry setting. There is a free app called USBDVIEW what you would do is disconnect from all non-disconnected USB devices that are stored on the PC these settings can cause all sort of issues.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/toshiba-external-usb-hard-drive-not-detected-in-any-laptop.173740/
Relevancy 21.5%

In August I purchased one of the new Samsung Series laptops with Windows -bit I love the laptop However due to eyesight problems I need to connect it to an external monitor I talked to Samsung BEFORE I bought the laptop and asked if they had a docking station for it They said they did not but that I would be able to connect it to a VGA monitor When I received the laptop I noticed that it did not have a VGA connection only a micro-HDMI connection I again called Samsung debacle external monitor Samsung They told me no problem just buy a VGA to micro-HDMI adapter They told me I could find one at any electronics store I was in Phoenix at the time and could not find it at any electronics store But I found a VGA-USB adapter I tried it and found that it worked except for when I was trying my email or browsers Then it just did not work I decided to buy Samsung external monitor debacle a new monitor and figured I would buy a Samsung monitor because it obviously Would have no problems connecting to a Samsung laptop I found a good monitor the Series S A H Before buying it I called Samsung and asked them if it would work They assured me it would connect to my laptop So I bought the monitor and had it shipped to me overseas When it arrived it only had VGA and HDMI connections I called Samsung again and they told me they had a VGA to micro-HDMI adapter They would not ship it to me overseas but would ship it to a friend in Hawaii who would then re-ship it to me After weeks it arrived However it was not a VGA to micro-HDMI adapter but the charger for my laptop I called back to Samsung and then told me to order it from Samsung parts I contacted Samsung parts and they said they did not have such an adapter and just to get it at any electronics store same story I still could not find such an adapter so I ordered an HDMI to micro-HDMI adapter When that finally arrived I was able to connect Nothing but problems I got no picture on my external monitor unless I unplugged the monitor each time and plugged it back in When I finally got a picture I noticed that it had about a inch border all the way around it thereby making it only a little larger than my laptop picture I called Samsung again and they said something like because of the HDMI to micro-HDMI adapter I could not get the proper resolution on my external monitor This is driving me CRAZY I have spent over on long-distance international calls to Samsung they won t call me because I am out of the US but I must call them and get a call center which is usually out of the US Why would Samsung make a laptop that is impossible to connect to an external monitor Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can properly connect my laptop to this monitor Thank you nbsp

A:Samsung external monitor debacle

edit: okay, now I read it properly.

Your Monitor may not be scaling the resolution to match it's maximum output. Try setting the monitor to be the only active display (as in output to external monitor only) and adjusting the resolution in windows to match the maximum resolution your monitor will allow. If that works, you at least have a starting point.

Also, are they referring to the Samsung AA-AH1NAMB/US Micro HDMI to VGA Adapter??? I'd suggest trying to find an e-tailer that will ship to your location, rather than dealing with Samsung directly anymore, since it REALLY seems to be costing you unnecessary time and money.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/samsung-external-monitor-debacle.172911/
Relevancy 21.07%

I recently bought a external hard disk of WD (My Passport Ultra) 1TB. It was working fine untill now. Now there is a problem going on. I have used only 656GB of space but it now show that I have only 4GB of storage left. Earlier it was showing 257 GB of space left from 913GB but now it shows the above. I can't understand what is the problem. If anybody could guide me it would an immense help. Thank you.

Bodhiswattwa Tewari
[email address removed]

A:Problem With My Passport Ultra external hard disk by WD

Maybe @jobeard could help here. What OS are you running? OS X or Windows?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-with-my-passport-ultra-external-hard-disk-by-wd.204228/
Relevancy 22.36%

"No Audio Device" is the message I get when I try to adjust the volume from my "Start" button. I have an old Dell-Optiplex270 running Windows XP with an external speaker unit. I have "RealTech Audio Device" and VLC" Media Player. I read where I need to download "SoundMAX". Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-audio-device.204166/
Relevancy 21.5%

I have headphones through onboard audio set as the default playback device.

I have HDMI set to listen stereo mix (onboard) under recording devices so that I can get duplicate audio on my headphones and TV.

Windows 7 likes to set as HMDI audio as the default playback device when I am not looking (assumedly shortly after rebooting, but not quite sure when). And then I get no sound from my headphones because the programs are all playing on HDMI.

Is there way I can fix this?

A:HDMI hijacks default playback device

Hmm; I think HDMI is mutually exclusive to pc { speakers & headphones }. If the HDMI senses a signal to the tv, then the others go off.

right-click on the speaker icon in the tray and view/set the playback devices

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hdmi-hijacks-default-playback-device.204095/
Relevancy 21.93%

My hard doesn't show up anymore.when I plug it in I hear 2 beep sounds coming from it and then nothing.any one now what the problem might be.

A:WD external Hard drive

Probably an internal hardware failure on the drive. Hope you had your data backed up from that drive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wd-external-hard-drive.203951/
Relevancy 21.07%

Tried just about everything but I still can't seem to get my external hard drive to show up in my disk management or computer. It say it's installed and ready to use but I don't see it.. only in the device manager and in devices and printers I can see it.. but nowhere else.. I'm working with windows 7 upgraded from windows xp but has be downgraded which was originally windows vista I think.. A friend gave me a computer and I had it upgraded.. can any one help me get my computer and external hard drive straight. Thanks.

A:Don't see my external hard drive in disk management or on computer

Check this thread out: http://goo.gl/rxkBN

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dont-see-my-external-hard-drive-in-disk-management-or-on-computer.203836/
Relevancy 21.07%

The Seagate Momentus 5400.6 hard drive I'm using is from my old laptop it has 4 disks.
After I put it in the (IT-CEO IT-700) enclosure, and connect it to my new laptop it does not show up in 'My Cumputer' and 'Disk Management', but displays in the 'device and printer' section of control pannel.
I also can't eject the hard drive, even when I'm not doing anything to it, the (IT-CEO IT-700) enclusre's blue signal light just keeps flashing for a while then goes off for a sec, then resume flashing again.
My laptop also keeps trying to install the hard drive.

I tried reinstall the hard drive's driver, but that did not solve the problem.

Please Help.

A:External Hard drive not showing up in 'My Computer', and 'Disk Management'

Have you tried using different drive enclosure other than the IT-CEO IT-700?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-not-showing-up-in-my-computer-and-disk-management.201875/
Relevancy 21.93%

My External hard drive wont open without format I try doing format it gets stuck I try opening computer > mange > disk management it wont open unless I take it out and gets stuck and gives me connecting to virtual disk service
please please help me! im freaking out I need this hard drive to work I need help

A:External hard drive

If you need this drive because there is data on it, formatting is the last thing you want to do.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive.203628/
Relevancy 21.5%

Hello,

I have a problem when I turn on my laptop I get a no bootable device, hit any key prompt. There are no options in the boot manager. I am able to get into the BIOS by pressing the f2 key I think but I really have no idea what to do from there. Any help would be greatly appreciated,

thanks

A:Packard Bell Easynote TE No bootable device

Sounds as though your hard drive has went bad.. Once you get into bios see if it is reporting your hard drive. If not the its rather safe to say . Your hard drive is bad.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/packard-bell-easynote-te-no-bootable-device.203273/
Relevancy 21.5%

Please help my segate external hard disk 500 gb not working all of the solutions are not working please any solution but not that solution of computer manage please help and replay fast

windows 7 (64)

A:Seagate external hard disk

Man... that sucks. If ALL solutions are not working you are screwed.

Please read the link in my signature and try again.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/seagate-external-hard-disk.203299/
Relevancy 21.93%

Hi everyone!

I'm using a 2TB WD My Passport external HDD. It was working fine, until last month. Suddenly, the HDD never showed up on my computer, and only the virtual cd (the password one) drive used to show up, and the loading bar, just used to go on and on, and explorer.exe would hang, until I remove the drive. I had given up hopes on it, and just let it go. Didn't touch the HDD for around 20 days. Yesterday, I randomly just connected it again, and the drive started working normally, with ALL my data intact. After I disconnected it, and tried to plug it back, it didn't work, and it got back to the same problem. Now, since I know that the data is fully intact, I really don't want to format the drive. And yes, the disk is recognized and is visible in device manager. Please help me out, with this.

Thanks a lot, in advance!

A:Problem with external HDD

I would suggest you to do a back up copy of your important files from that drive and try running WD Data Lifeguard diagnostic tool to check and fix possible error on your drive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-with-external-hdd.202617/
Relevancy 19.78%

My laptop had headphones plugged in because I was watching a film but while I was in another room my laptop was knocked onto the floor around - ft drop change mic to a HD audio headphones Realtek port? port a manager, landing on the headphones jack the wire is fine but the ports completely broken I can see cracks and its loose and everything The laptop has Realtek HD audio manager and in my experience of this program on other desktops I ve had I was able to change Realtek HD audio manager, change a mic port to a headphones port? what port does what My laptop only has a headphones port and Realtek HD audio manager, change a mic port to a headphones port? a mic port and I would like to see if I can switch the mic port to be the headphones port because I never use an external mic however in Realteks audio manager I can t find out how to do this In pictures I ve seen on the internet there is a quot Device Advanced Settings quot button as seen in this picture http www vistax com attachments ealtek-hd-audio-driver-version-hd manager jpg but my program doesn t have this Do I need to download a newer version of the software or is it just not possible to change my mic port to be my headphone port I dont mind if I have to use third party software I just want it to tide me over till I can get it sent away Thanks for suggestions greatly appretiated nbsp

A:Realtek HD audio manager, change a mic port to a headphones port?

I doubt very much if this will be possible. The mic and headphone ports are wired directly to the Audio section of the motherboard, there connections cannot be altered.

Your best bet is to get the damaged port repaired.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/realtek-hd-audio-manager-change-a-mic-port-to-a-headphones-port.166497/
Relevancy 21.5%

My computer recognizes that the hard drive is there as local disk E but wont actually load. I can get it to load on my tv but it wont play my movies. Please help it has a lot of important things on there,

A:External Hard drive not loading

You could try running chkdsk /f in command prompt to check and fix errors on your drive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-not-loading.202166/
Relevancy 21.93%

I just bought a

Amd A6 6400k apu

ecs a55f2-m4 motherboard

kingston hyperx 4gb 1600 ram

and I installed all drivers but even when I try to open solitaire it says no suitable graphics device found.

A:No suitable graphics device found

Which graphics driver and version did you install?

AMD Catalyst 14.4

32-bit Catalyst Software Suite
64-bit Catalyst Software Suite

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-suitable-graphics-device-found.202170/
Relevancy 21.5%

Does External graphics card laptop increase the gaming performance ?

A:External graphics Card For laptop

Yes to an extent, but for the price you might as well buy a gaming laptop to begin with.

The price of the systems can be moderately low now if you use the basic GPU Dock station that can help but they lower the performance of said card and usually can only be used easily from home.

But to answer your question, yes it will.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-graphics-card-for-laptop.201743/
Relevancy 22.79%

Hi every one this is my first thread and I'm having a problem with my laptop so plz help me

there is a strange processes in the task manger called diduytt.exe there is more than one but with the same name I can end all the processes except the last one I cant end it
but after a while these processes start coming up again and my laptop start to heat up and I located
the place of the processes every time I delete it it dose come back again

A:There are strange processes in the task manager

Not sure here but you may have a virus. Have you tried running a virus scan?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/there-are-strange-processes-in-the-task-manager.201364/
Relevancy 71.81%

Yesterday, I started a download and kept the pc on with my Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex External HDD 1TB plugged in. After I woke up I realized that there was a power cut and the computer went off unexpectadly (I had no UPS or any backup system).And, I found that my Ext HDD was not seen in my computer anymore (It was working perfectly until before I went to bed).
In device manager, under 'Disks' it shows 'GoFlex Hard Disk', but in BIOS or Disk Manager there is no sign of this HDD.

I really need the data in the HDD badly. Please help me recover it.
P.S. I read somewhere that keeping the HDD in freezer might help and give a little more time. Is that true? Worth the risk?

A:External HDD gets detected in Device Manager but not Disk Manager or seen in 'My Computer'

Power outage probably killed something in the enclosure or its PSU. The drive in the enclosure is probably fine. I would remove the drive from the enclosure and put it in a dock or install it in a desktop computer before considering freezing it. Freezing is usually reserved for click of death drives, and a last ditch effort.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hdd-gets-detected-in-device-manager-but-not-disk-manager-or-seen-in-my-computer.201343/
Relevancy 21.5%

I have two WD 3tb external drives. They both work but only one at a time. I am running Windows 7. I have renamed both drives but still no go. I have previously have had a 2tb and one the 3tb drives running at the same time with no problem. I had to upgrade to the 3tb from the 2tb because of the size of my projects I am working on. Does anyone have a solution?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-not-recognizing-2nd-of-the-same-wd-mass-storage-device.201294/
Relevancy 21.93%

Device:- Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27C8
PNP Device id:- PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C8&SUBSYS_27C88086&REV_01\3&11583659&0&E8
error code generating- 43
How can I remove this error and be able to support my external harddisk of 250 GB

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hardisk-is-not-supporting-on-my-usb.201235/
Relevancy 21.5%

My partner's laptop HP 0700 Notebook will not boot up and just comes up with the above message. We found an HP troubleshooting site which said to reset the BIOS default settings by pressing the Escp key, F10 followed by F9 to reset. Then it said to press the F2 System Diagnostics keys which tested the hard disk and all the tests came out OK. When we tried to restart it, it came up with the same message and we have noticed that before it comes up with this message it says in the bottom left-hand corner "Prepare boot to OS" and then comes up with the message in the heading. We have not bootable disk as the laptop already had everything installed.

Coupled with this my partner's virus protection is coming up with "Threat detected" every minute on practically every site my partner visits on the Internet. You will appreciate that we cannot run any virus checks as we cannot get into the computer.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Compused

A:No bootable device - insert boot disk and press any key

Any luck with this?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-bootable-device-insert-boot-disk-and-press-any-key.201065/
Relevancy 21.93%

Ok, so I brought my external HD to my parents house to give my sister some family pictures and when i brought it home the next day it won't show up on my computer.

The computer sees that a device is present under "disk management," in the "other devices" category. I figured it was just a device driver that was the problem so i went to the acomdata website and downloaded their usb 2.0 driver and restarted. The computer still wont recognize the hard drive. To make a longer story short heres what I have done and checked:

1) Restart HD and all connections including different USB ports
2) brand new USB cable and power supply
3) installed new driver and tried device on multiple computer with the same problem.

At this point im at a loss. The hard drive will still powerup when i plug-in the USB cord, but wont stay spinning (i believe thats because the HD doesnt believe its plugged in or something? no?). The drive is a Acomdata HD500UFAP and the desktop PC i have is running windows vista 32-bit. Any and all suggestions are welcome

Thanx for the help in advance

A:External HD won't show up on PC

List any Problem Devices

Make sure devices are connected and powered on
Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post
On the other hand, if no devices are listed, tell me so

The drive is a Acomdata HD500UFAP and the desktop PC i have is running windows vista 32-bit.Click to expand...

Also, what you describe is very odd as USB 2.0 drivers come in XP, Vista and Win 7 in the first place. So you shouldn't need to be downloading drivers from the vendor for your Vista 32

But, in any case, Problem Device report should show me what appears under Other Devices.. so tell me and we;ll just take it from there

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hd-wont-show-up-on-pc.160449/
Relevancy 21.93%

Hi........

I want to buy new mobile and I need your advice
most imprtant for me the speed of the system ,,memory
thing not important for me ( quality of camera,,shape of mobile )

A:Any tips on buying a new mobile device?

By mobile I infer you mean cell phone. At any rate, I would prioritize the features and functions that are (a) import to you and (b) you use regularly. The hype on specs may be create bragging rights, but that's not worth $0.02 to me.

I'm and old T**d and love my 3g flip phone for the ease of use designed by Nokia. The so called smartphones are not on my wishlist. If I want pictures (and I take a ton of them), I'm not using any camera in a phone - - I take my handheld which gives me the PAS feature for low-light photograph required for indoor and museums. USEABILITY is big with me.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/any-tips-on-buying-a-new-mobile-device.200801/
Relevancy 21.5%

HELP!!!

I have a 500gb external hard drive which, up until a few days ago, was working absolutely fine.

When I would plug it in to my laptop the device was found under 'my computer'.but would not open. Instead when I tried to open it my computer froze and the 'not responding' message was shown, resulting in a forced close of my computer. Now when I attach the hard drive and open 'my computer' the hard drive does not show at all, but 'my computer' still shows the message 'not responding', resulting in a forced close.

I've been on to a couple of forums already and tried the route of right clicking 'my computer', 'manage' and 'disk management'; but the hard drive does not appear there.

I'm at a total loss what to do and would massively appreciate your help as I have backed up company data on to this hard drive.

Thank you in advance!

A:External hard drive not showing in My Computer

Hey pcrquals. I would try the drive in another pc to narrow down where the problem is, a problem with the drive itself, or a problem with the pc recognizing the drive, which might be a problem with the USB port(s) or with the USB drivers. Does another USB device like a flashdrive work when plugged into the same port?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-not-showing-in-my-computer.191206/
Relevancy 21.5%

Hi All Right problem As stated above my laptop does not recognize my external The drive spins up inside the enclosure the power led lights up but it does not show I have been a Field Support Engineer Tier III for many years and following that a Technical Analyst all within the IT field and this one on not hdd recognize Win7 does external Compaq6710b has me totally STUMPED Steps followed Checked Win7 on Compaq6710b does not recognize external hdd Compmgmt - gt DrvMgmt drive does not show same as DevMgmt msc - gt Drvmgmt Went into CMD prompt - gt Diskpart - gt list disk only picks up my primary internal I e disk I have moved the hdd from one USB port to another - still no difference I have tried disconnecting and reconnecting it multiple times - no avail Tried rebooting - no avail Tried rebooting both with without the external connected - no change Connected the external to multiple other machines - it picks up on every single one of them Run RSOP machine is on a domain but there are as confirmed by domain admins no restriction policies in place seeing that my other smaller in capacity flash drives all pick up and show Ran a full malware scan - clean with the following in turn not at the same time also not installed simultaneously MBAM MSSE AVAST ESET - All came back clean Ran CCleaner getting desperate now and after all cleaning and clearing etc sorted rebooted machine - still no change Checked if the drive shows in BIOS upon restart - it does Just to slam dunk point above - checked if the drive shows as a possible boot media upon reboot - it does Only thing left to do is to try any Linux Unix based boot GUIs to see if it shows in thee as wel apps in the line of Knoppix to name but one Oh yeah also accessed the Advanced Properties af all the available USB Root Hubs and ensured that the computer is not allowed to turn off these devices in order to save power I have also downloaded EVERY POSSIBLE LATEST DRIVER from HP s site so everything THERE is up to date all drivers and firmwares up to date Flashed the CMOS Updated the BIOS as well If I connect any of my flash drives or any other mobile device tablet phone usb modem with micro sd card installed configured as storage to the laptop they all get recognized and are accessible but NOT my external even though every single other machine I have connected it to picks it up As per all my points above please do not suggest the following A Use of various or random drive checking tools - they won t work as the O S does not recognize the drive B Right click quot My Computer quot anything starting with that will be a waste as I have already gone through all those steps by means of accessing all relevant interfaces via cmd line interface - I cannot see the drive so I can also NOT change it s drive letter just read another post on another forum where the OP requests assistance as he cannot access his drive at all kind of similar to my scenario and the suggestions on there drove me out the walls - people missing obvious things and making suggestions which would be declared useless by using some common sense I am going to try and upload prt shots of both diskpart cmd result and compmgmt msc results okay failure with bmp jpg and png HA loaded successfully Any assistance would be appreciated Oh yeah it is a USB powered quot external hdd not the quot type which requires external power nbsp

A:Win7 on Compaq6710b does not recognize external hdd

Have you tried your Ext Hard drive to be connected to any other PC or Laptop. If the drive is still not recognized consult an expert for this.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/win7-on-compaq6710b-does-not-recognize-external-hdd.200463/
Relevancy 19.35%

I just got new SSD - Transcend 128GB. Installed Windows. When I cold boot my PC -- from a shut off state -- I get this message before Windows loads: "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key."

However, if I press Ctrl+Alt+Delete and reboot I come into Windows.

If I enter BIOS from cold boot, it does not detect my SSD. After rebooting it detects my SSD. Seems like the SSD is slow at firing up?

I have run chkdsk and memory test without any errors.

My motherboard is the MSI Z87-G55.

A:"Reboot and select proper boot device"

Just installed newest BIOS, it didn't help.

When I go into Board Explorer in BIOS it says SATA port 1 is empty. After reboot it says the same port is occupied by my SSD.

Update: Plugged in another hard drive (non-SSD). Same rules apply to it. On cold boot, none of the drives are detected. After reboot, both drives are detected. I used a non-SSD as system drive before this, worked perfectly.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device.200351/
Relevancy 21.93%

I have an external WD hard drive, I accidently removed the network file and folder sharing componet. Now when I go to access my hard drive it tells me that access is denied. I dont want to lose the data. Is there a way to restore this opion and gain access? PLease help. I oringially was trying to limit access to this hard drive.

A:WD external hard drive

Google How to Take Ownership for the instructions your version of Windows. Try taking ownership of files/folders on the drive

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wd-external-hard-drive.200328/
Relevancy 21.07%

I've been having this problem for a few months now. I recently built my own computer, having been on a lap top for a couple of years, and found my old external hard drive. I plugged it in to the new computer, and it said something about needing to be formatted, which I promptly did due to nothing of importance being on it. I went to sleep, and woke up to see that it couldn't be formatted.

This is where my issue begins. It no longer appears in Computer, or Disk Management. Disk Management won't even load if I have the drive plugged in. There seems to be no way at all to format the drive, since Computer, and Disk Management both don't load when the drive is plugged in. Any help?

A:External Hard Drive is Not Recognized in Computer or Disk Management

I have a similar problem. I have an old external hard drive and it wont showed up or open under my computer or disk management. I tried to open it under disk management but there is no way to be found. The files F, G, H, etc are empty. I really appreciate an extra help here since I am not a computer expert. Thank you!!!!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-is-not-recognized-in-computer-or-disk-management.191966/
Relevancy 21.07%

I ve set up the with Shuts Laptop 2 Down 201X Monitors External Thinkpad laptop to work with external ThinkVision L monitors using Windows Professional One is connected via the VGA monitor port on the laptop the other is connected via VGA to a Lenovo DisplayLink USB Port Replicator model VDK -- with drivers updated Both monitors are working well and available when the laptop lid is closed The issue is that after the screen saver period completes the laptop powers down completely I d like it to just shut off the screen and resume on mouse movement The laptop is used with external monitors when it s plugged in -- Thinkpad 201X Laptop Shuts Down with 2 External Monitors and the power settings are Balanced profile Display turns off after hours Screensaver starts after minutes Computer goes to sleep - Never Hard disk off - Thinkpad 201X Laptop Shuts Down with 2 External Monitors never Internet Explorer Javascript Timer Frequency - Maximum Desktop background settings available Wireless Adapter Settings Max Performance Sleep - Never Hybrid Sleep Off Hibernate After Never Allow Wake Timers Disable USB Selective Suspend Disabled Intel Graphics Power Plan Balanced Power Buttons amp Lid Lid closed - Do nothing Power Button - Sleep Sleep Button - Sleep PCI Express - Moderate Power Multimedia - When sharing media - prevent idling to sleep When playing video - Optimize video quality Does anyone know why this is happening and a way to prevent it Thanks nbsp

A:Thinkpad 201X Laptop Shuts Down with 2 External Monitors

This is a tough one. Have you made any progress on this issue?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/thinkpad-201x-laptop-shuts-down-with-2-external-monitors.199660/
Relevancy 21.5%

Hi I have Toshiba Computer my External doesn't recognize HD. satellite M The original HD that came with the laptop is Toshiba MK GSX with GB storage I bought a new HD Toshiba MQ ABD with GB storage I also upgraded my RAMs - I Computer doesn't recognize my External HD. installed Computer doesn't recognize my External HD. my new HD in my laptop and installed windows XP SP I want to use my old HD as an external HD - I plugged it into the computer via USB cable but the computer wouldn t recognize the external HD - I plugged the old HD back into the computer and formatted it and installed a fresh Win XP SP - I put my new HD back into the laptop and tried to plug the old HD as external HD to see if it would work now but the computer still doesn t recognize it - I opened Computer Management and looked under Disk Management but the external HD didn t show up there - I plugged it into different USP and waited for a minute and a new icon for the external HD in my computer pops up I double clicked it and gives an error quot Please insert a disk in drive E quot Then the icon disappears I unplugged the HD and plugged it back in but the icon would show up again I waited for an hour before I plug it back on The icon appeared for seconds and then disappeared again I know it s not a hardware problem for the following reasons - When I plug in the external HD the light in the HD case turns on Red - I can hear and feel that the HD is running - I plugged the HD back into the laptop as internal HD to check if it works and Win XP shows up so there is nothing wrong with the HD Can someone please Help me how can I use the old HD as external HD and make the icon for it shows up in my computer nbsp

A:Computer doesn't recognize my External HD.

Yeah a lot of the older HDD don't work so well with the newer USB / IDE/PATA/SATA adapter kits. I am using one here with 3.5 HDD Seagate and WD to see which ones are working and not. You can hear them spin-up but that doesn't mean they're 100% okay. In your case you should try a desktop instead of the laptop USB ports might be getting duff. Like I said try a different PC see if they can be seen. External USB just get WD Passport and then transfer any data over to it from the old one. That 100GB I am sure the life on it started to go. MTB on these HDD in the past didn't live up to as promise.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-doesnt-recognize-my-external-hd.199657/
Relevancy 21.93%

I have an integral external harddrive connected via usb, up until yesterday it was working fine , when you turned it on a box would appear giving different options as to what I wanted to do with the files on the drive......... now when the drive is turned on I do not get that options pop up screen.......if I go into windows explorer the drive is recognised as being there but if I click on it I get the "waiting/loading/doing something" icon then a message saying "you need to format the disk in drive h before you can use it. do you want to format it ? "

im obviously not very technical and have no idea what to do or why this sudennly stopped working.I have alot of stuff stored on this hd that I would very much like to be able to accesss again so please any help would be appreciated.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-with-external-harddrive.199591/
Relevancy 21.93%

I have a relatively new (<2wks) 4Tb Touro external hard drive. Until yesterday it worked without a problem on both my MacBook Air and my desktop PC running Windows 8.1. Yesterday I unplugged it from the desktop and plugged it into the laptop and it didn't mount. Moved it back to the desktop and it didn't mount. Neither Diskutil on Mac nor Device Manager on Windows showed it at all.

I does mount on a friend's Mac, so the drive isn't dead.
It's not a power issue, as the drive is externally powered, so insufficient power from USB can't be the cause. The light on the drive is illuminated and the platter is spinning, but when I plug it into any USB port I get absolutely no response from the computer.

Any ideas?

A:External HDD won't mount

That is certainly an odd issue considering it works on 1 of 3 computers you have tried.

My suggestion - Use a different USB cable and see what happens.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hdd-wont-mount.199541/
Relevancy 18.92%

I have an external hard disk of Samsung 650GB which got damaged when I was transferring some files to my pc through it. Now when I connect to any PC or Laptop it shows the safely remove icon but there is no letter assigned to it and also doesn't show up in My Computer though it can be seen in Disk Management.

I tried Mini Tool Partition Wizard but when I create a new partition it stops at 90%. I tried wiping out the partition but to no avail.

Is there any solution for it??? Please help.

A:Creating A New Partition Or Wiping A Partition On External Hard Disk Stuck

I would check the manufacturers site for a windows utility to low level format it. If you cannot find a utility to do that on manufacturer's site, then try this: http://hddguru.com/software/HDD-LLF-Low-Level-Format-Tool/ to wipe the drive. WARNING!! this will destroy all data on the selected hard drive!! be very careful when selecting a drive to wipe that you don't inadvertently select the wrong disk. After a low level format, unplug the drive, plug back in, windows should detect as a new, virgin, drive and it'll prompt you to format it. Format it and hopefully everything will be fine from here on out for you.

Post back, Hope this helps!!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/creating-a-new-partition-or-wiping-a-partition-on-external-hard-disk-stuck.198811/
Relevancy 21.5%

Hey all,

Just wondering if an external drive is dead based on this --

I have a Seagate FreeAgent Desk and last week when I plugged into computer after 6 months or so of no use, it wasn't recognized. LED lights didn't come on at all. So I thought it was a bad power supply. Switched that out but no luck. Tonight I transferred to a Dynex enclosure. Powers up but still nowhere on computer, not in device manager or disk management. Any other things to try or is the drive itself gone?

A:Opinion on whether Seagate FreeAgent External Dead

Sounds like the hdd isn't spinning up in either enclosure. if possible I would connect it to the enclosure & not completely reassemble, try it on your PC, and put your ear down on the top of the drive & listen, do you hear the motor spinning up?! if the drive is not spinning up, there isn't much you can do. if the data is valuable, then try a data recovery company - I have had excellent success with http://www.300dollardatarecovery.com/ if the data is not valuable then I'd replace the drive and toss that one out.

Post back, Hope this helps!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/opinion-on-whether-seagate-freeagent-external-dead.199055/
Relevancy 21.5%

I deleted a folder with about 30 gigs of stuff in it from my 500 gig external hard drive about a week ago. I haven't done anything else with the drive since then. The folder was too large for the recycle bin so windows just automatically deleted it. I've tried recovering the files with Recuva and Puran File Recovery, but neither of them have been able to locate the files. Does this mean I will not be able to get them back, or is there something else I can try?

A:Recover files from external drive

To recover data you can install Pandora Recovery in windows or use PhotoRec in Linux.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/recover-files-from-external-drive.199187/
Relevancy 21.93%

So the issue is that the hdd appears in my computer but only as a local disk, it doesn't show any used space like it should normally and when I access it it says the folder is empty.

I've tried that disk management and changed volume letter two times to no effect and I've also tried to go in device manager and delete the usb mass storage driver and it had no problem reinstalling it again but to no effect.

I was wondering if it would help with a quick format but that would mean losing 1tb of stuff I have there... is there anyway I can get it to work without having to lose anything ??

A:External hdd not reading properly

What is the actual size of the drive you're trying to access?
If it's over 2.2 Tb the BIOS will not be able to access it!
see my post over -here-

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hdd-not-reading-properly.199148/
Relevancy 21.5%

I've a wired network at home like this:

Code:
Internet
|
ADSL Router
|
Dlink Switcher
|
I'm going to buy a new tablet (ASUS MeMO Pad Smart 10), which supports internet through wifi. I was wondering how can I share the internet access with the new device? What new devices should I buy and what changes are required to my network setup?

Thanks in advance.

A:How to share wired Internet access with WiFi device

I figured it out, I need an AP.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-share-wired-internet-access-with-wifi-device.199110/
Relevancy 21.5%

Hi,
I gave my external hard drive to a friend but his laptop didn't recognize it. after getting it back, I connected it to my laptop but it didn't show up in disk management at all. the drive is receiving power since the light is on. I felt the drive upon connecting to laptop and noticed it tries multiple times to rotate the magnetic disk but in the end it come to a stop and nothing after that. I think my friend's laptop somehow damaged my drive since I'm sure it's a hardware problem.
So, I was wondering maybe any of you guys have an idea how to fix it if possible otherwise, I'd like to know if I can recover the data without spending for the experts?
Thanks

A:WD external drive receiving power but not working

Hey armmzd. Sure sounds like a drive gone bad, and assuming you know it was good when you gave it to him,maybe it was dropped,etc. All I can suggest is going to the drive manufacturer's site and see if they have a drive diagnostic tool you can try.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wd-external-drive-receiving-power-but-not-working.198974/
Relevancy 39.13%

HDD 1 tb Seagate hardisk not working,is not visible in the laptop, can b seen in device manager for 1min then gets disconnected automatically and the light on the hard disk starts blinking

A:HDD hardisk not working,not visible in the laptop,visible in device manager for 1min then disconnect

If the system worked before with this drive, I would say the drive is bad.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hdd-hardisk-not-working-not-visible-in-the-laptop-visible-in-device-manager-for-1min-then-disconnect.198749/
Relevancy 22.36%

Hi I was wondering can anybody help with the sound on my computer please as we have had none for about 3 weeks now thanks

A:No sound device

Please make sure ALL connections are snug. What OS are you using? XP,W7,W8 ?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-sound-device.198384/
Relevancy 18.92%

I have a USB 2.5 external HDD that I want to use with my Xbox 360 to play original Xbox games.

An emulator is required to play original Xbox games and the 360 will download this etc. for you with an Xbox 360 that has an internal HDD.
Mine is only a 4GB internal HDD so will not perform this function!

Can anyone help me make the external USB HDD perform this function???

Thanks

A:Making an External HDD backwards compatible for Xbox games on an XBox 360

360 isn't backwards compatible with Xbox games. Since you have digital copies of the game, we can't be sure you actually own a legit copy. So, we can't help you sorry.

But, you can use this to format external drive for your 360.
http://www.wikihow.com/Format-a-Hard-Drive-for-Use-With-Xbox-360

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/making-an-external-hdd-backwards-compatible-for-xbox-games-on-an-xbox-360.197802/
Relevancy 18.92%

Hello. I've got a basic problem I guess: I messed up with the Realtek microphone settings and selected "Set Default Device". I tried to fix it but I kinda destroyed my mic. - friends tell me they can hear me like I'm closer to them and they hear me worse than before. I just need to unset the Set Default Device thingy but I don't really know how.. any idea?

A:Realtek Microphone "Set Default Device"

Try doing a system restore to a previous time in which this was working correctly.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/realtek-microphone-set-default-device.197750/
Relevancy 21.5%

I built a new PC about a month ago, and have been using speakers as a primary Audio source. However, I bought a Turtle Beach PX21 headset, and all I can do is watch Netflix/Other media ETC. I can't use Skype or Steam calls because it won't register the headset as a recording device. Why is this ?

I was using this as a reference: http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/turtle-beach-px21-dpx21-computer-problem.162408

,but they don't go over my problem.

Thanks !

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/turtle-beach-px21-isnt-recognized-as-an-audio-device.197747/
Relevancy 21.5%

Hi all I have a 750gb seagate external hard drive , and the usb port bit broke on it so ive taken the hard drive out the casing . just wanted to know is this a 3.5" .as I bought new one so thinking of selling this one on ebay or using it for my pc. any more info needed please reply thanks

A:External hard drive broken

Anyone please ?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-broken.197512/
Relevancy 18.49%

My external drive does not come up when plugged into any laptop or computer. It leaves a message saying it needs to be formatted. I say drive E for a second and then it never came back. How can I get my stuff out? please help.

A:WD external drive - "needs to be formatted before using"

Hi Cecilia. I would look through the post below and try one of the utilities for your WD drive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/drive-diagnostic-utilities-compendium.7602/

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wd-external-drive-needs-to-be-formatted-before-using.197384/
Relevancy 18.92%

My TB Western Digital External hard disc is not working My laptop switched off suddenly while copying files After restarted my laptop when I try to open my External hard disc drive G I m getting the message as quot Location is not available G is not accessible The drive cannot find the sector requested quot The Properties of the drive shows as Type Local Disk File system Used space bytes Free space bytes when clicking My computer- gt Manage- gt Disk Management under Storage in left find External cannot not drive - "The requested" the is hard working disc sector side I can able to see my External hard disc drive G The "The drive cannot find the sector requested" - External hard disc is not working File System shows as quot RAW quot before it was NTFS Free as but I got around TB data Also I checked in different laptops but it shows the same error And finally I checked with quot Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows quot it passed the test I m so afraid about my datas stored in the hard disc All my projects photos and many important files stored in that hard disc I dont know what the problem is I cant find any solutions in Internet Please help me to solve this problem Thanks in advance nbsp

A:"The drive cannot find the sector requested" - External hard disc is not working

Hey Allen. I would call Western Digital support and see what they say.Since you have data on it you need, I wouldn't play around with it, get some answers from the drive makers, and as is always said, have important data backed up in at least 2 different places, with at least one being to CD/DVD.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/the-drive-cannot-find-the-sector-requested-external-hard-disc-is-not-working.197220/
Relevancy 21.07%

I have a western digital 1 tb hard disk. which was working fine few hours ago.
but now when I am connecting it it is not showing in my computer.
I am using a windows 7 X64 machine.
I have tried every thing.
when I uninstall the driver from device manager and connect it again, windows tries to
install the driver but fails every time.

I have lot of important data on the drive
Plzzzz Helppp

Relevancy 21.93%

I was just given a Dell Inspiron N7110 laptop from a friend and am trying to move some files from my Seagate FreeAgent external hard drive to this laptop. I get a pop-up saying "you don't currently have permission to access this folder". I have tried to open sharing but it won't let me; any suggestions?

A:Transferring from external drive

Are you currently logged in as an Administrator on the laptop? Some older laptops require admin permissions to move files from an external drive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/transferring-from-external-drive.196492/
Relevancy 21.93%

Hi guys...
I have an hitachi 250gb sata hdd with lots of pics and vids on it that I need access to.
I have plugged it into my laptop/windows 7 via a usb caddy. the computer said it was installing drivers etc but it doesn't show up under my computer. tried to follow steps previously mentioned in another thread (ie assigning the drive a letter but, I cant do that?) but not sure what to do.....
the hdd is not shown in the top list under disk management but appears in the bottom list as disk 1 unknown not initialized. see screen shot

really could do with your help pls! thanks in advance

A:External HDD troubles

BUMP...

any ideas guys pls? I'm stuck as to what to do next??

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hdd-troubles.196500/
Relevancy 21.5%

Hey guys Excuse my lack of proper harddrive Problem WD with external case changing terminology I am new to these things Recently my gb WD external hard drive had the USB port connection on the hard drives circuit board break off So Problem with changing WD external harddrive case I went and bought a new case from my local computer shop I had originally taken my HD to see if they could solder the usb port thing back on to the circuit board but they said they don t do repairs So he looked at my HD and told me which case would be best for it I come home and follow his instructions and remove the circuit board from which the usb port fell off from which also supplied the power and connected to the SATA power port on the HD and put it in to the new housing When I connect it to my laptop it does not show up under My Computer However in my icon tray it shows a USB device has connected and it gives me the option of removing it safely I can hear the HD starting up when it gets plugged in but nothing else happens When I removed the HD from its new case and put the old circuit board bit back on and manually held the usb with the usb port connection on to the circuit board from where it came off from I am able to get it recognized by the computer and the WD software for the password prompt starts up So I know my HD is functioning I just cant get it to function in its new case Any help would be much appreciated Thank you nbsp

A:Problem with changing WD external harddrive case

Is the new case powered in the same way as the old case? If yes, I would return the case.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-with-changing-wd-external-harddrive-case.196556/
Relevancy 21.93%

Hey,

So I'm really stupid - why? For trusting my ***** brother. I lend him my external hard drive (Western Digital 2 TB - see amazon link for model) and he did not "eject" the hard drive safely. Now it does not exist period. It doesn't show up under my computer and it also doesn't show up under computer management as a drive (so no letter duplication).

The hard drive external power source lights up (see link below)

http://www.amazon.com/Elements-Desk...words=western+digital+external+hard+drive+2tb

Help?

A:External Hard Drive Not Available

**BUMPZ***

Been almost 10 days... any ideas guys?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-not-available.196232/
Relevancy 21.5%

A few months ago my external hard drive stopped working. At first the power light would come on but the hard drive wouldn't boot up. I think I may have plugged the wrong wattage from another cord mistakenly into it and from that point on, the power light stopped coming on. I decided to get a new printed circuit board from a reputable data recovery company in Canada. In addition to purchasing the PCB from them, they advise that the old/dead PCB be sent to them so they can swap the BIOS info from the old one onto the new one for better compatibility. The company claims they never received my old PCB (I tracked it and it shows delivered).

Is there any way I would still be able to recover my data from my external hard drive since I no longer have the old PCB?"

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dead-external-hard-drive.196350/
Relevancy 21.93%

Hi,

I've removed a lot of things yesterday and when i check today, i lost sound. I think I accidentally removed something related to sound drivers or something like that...but I don't remember what.
There is no volume control in the taskbar. I have reinstalled the audio device and everything is fine but still no sound. I also checked the device manager and there is no any conflicts.

Here is my sound devices information in the attachments.

Thank for helping

A:Have audio device installed but still no sound

Did you also try looking in Add/Remove Programs to first uninstall Realtek from there?

If not, try that.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/have-audio-device-installed-but-still-no-sound.165169/