Windows Support Forum

How to Install Windows 7 on SSD and all Data on HDD???

Q: How to Install Windows 7 on SSD and all Data on HDD???

I am going to do a fresh install of windows 7 on my computer. I have a 160 gb ssd and a 3 tb HDD. What I want to do is put my operating system on my ssd but all data on my hdd. Meaning if I click on the desktop and add a new folder I want it to go to my hdd as well as all data. I know in previous versions you could do this after the install but from my understanding you have to do this on the install of windows.

How do I go about doing this?????

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: How to Install Windows 7 on SSD and all Data on HDD???

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: How to Install Windows 7 on SSD and all Data on HDD???

You can't run Windows from the SSD AND HDD.

What you will be able to do is use the SSD for the OS and need to create the files on the D drive itself.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/how-to-install-windows-7-on-ssd-and-all-data-on-hdd-704279.html
Relevancy 49.45%

I have an issue that needs me to re-install Windows Ultimate x At this point I have so much stuff on my hard drive I don't want to start everything over so I would like to know how to keep everything and still re-install I know there is the quot Windows Easy Transfer quot but I keep 7 Windows x64 data Re-install but don't want to have to wait for it to put everything back on my hard drive My motherboard supports dual Bios but I don't know how set that up I also can just put everything on to a external hard drive but I have my brothers account on this computer as well and he plays a game quot Dragon Age quot i understand that the game will keep his game on his account and his only So I have this problem as well I could use help ASAP Thank you P S I'm and built this computer my self so try to keep it simple if you can

A:Re-install Windows 7 x64 but keep data

One way or the other you first have to get your stuff out of the OS partition. The new installation will erase everything.

You can either back it up to an external drive or (if you can shrink one of the existing partitions enough to hold your data) you can create a data partition and move it there. if that is an option, post back and we will discuss the best approach.

But watch out, before you create a new partition, check in Disk Management whether you do not already have 4 primary partitions. If you do have 4 primaries. DO NOT attempt to create another partition - else you will be in deep yogurt.

Btw: did you check whether setting back to an earlier restore point is an option. That would be the easiest and does not effect your data.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/203302-re-install-windows-7-x64-but-keep-data.html
Relevancy 49.02%

I have two hard disks, one for programs and another for storage, both NTFS. I recently had to reformat and reload the OS on the primary. The install went fine, but the storage drive shows up as unallocated in disk managment. The only logical option I can see is "Create Partition," but this prompts me to format the drive, and when I refuse, tells me that I'm going to have to format it in order to write data to it. Loss of the content of that drive would be a very bad thing.

Any suggestions?

A:Preserving old data in new windows install

Does Windows recognize your secondary drive and assign it a drive letter?

If so, many times simply running scandisk on it will solve this issue.

-- Ramses

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/preserving-old-data-in-new-windows-install-48659.html
Relevancy 49.02%

its a brand new computer and only a month old. Windows XP Professional keeps on restarting itself for no reason. I tried to get into safe mode but it also restarts the computer before the OS can be loaded. It's the main business computer that keeps all my employee numbers and payroll accounts. Is there a way to reformat the computer without losing my precious data?

thanks in advance

Relevancy 49.02%

OK so this one is a Doozy indeed Built a PC for a customer friend about yrs ago small GBs SSD with Win Ultimate bit OS and big TB HDD for Data good so far There was a problem Bottom Line and Long Story Short the asshat managed to install a new Windows Ult bit OS on the TB Data HDD instead of repairing the small SSD like I instructed So he sent his PC to my office and I fix the problem with the small ssd Matter of Fact I got a newer and bigger SSD for him Now the annoying part from HDD Data Windows Install Removing more than a real issue is the fact that I can not delete or remove the Window Files amp Folders that the OS installed Windows Boot Program Files x etc etc etc from the TB Data HDD and I don't have a drive where I could move his Pictures Music amp Documents otherwise I would do that and Nuke the drive by formatting it and put the data back I have google this to death but I Removing Windows Install from Data HDD can't find a solution Any easy solutions than having to buy a new drive so I can move the Data to a new location

A:Removing Windows Install from Data HDD

How much data is on the 1.5 TB drive that you need to keep ?
Maybe temporarily using Cloud Storage would work ?
Maybe you can delete the "Windows" files if you boot from a non Windows disc such as Linux ?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/328529-removing-windows-install-data-hdd.html
Relevancy 48.59%

I was trying to install a trial version of windows 8 from here Download Windows 8.1 Enterprise Evaluation I wanted to know would it be possible to make a data partition and boot from it in order to test it out before wanting to buy Also would I be able to run my old programs without having to reinstall them ? Thanks

A:Can i install and boot windows 8 on a data partition

Hello bigboi,

Yes, you sure could dual boot Window 7 and Windows 8 like that if you like. The tutorial below can help show you more details on how to. Dual Boot Installation - Windows 8 and Windows 7 or Vista
In addition, you could also install Windows 8 in a virtual machine if you like instead. VMware Player - Install Windows 8

VirtualBox - Install Windows 8
Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/311247-can-i-install-boot-windows-8-data-partition.html
Relevancy 48.59%

Hello Guys!

It's me again!

My sister gave me her laptop to clean up the virus but I never though she would have important data on it since she never mentioned it either and it was my fault to never ask either.

So I reinstalled Windows 7 by formatting the HD and I also deleted the other partitions (the reserve partitions etc).

I decided to do a clean install of Windows 7 since the virus was really bad but now she wants all her data (pictures) back and I really don't know if it is currently possible?

Any ideas or suggestions will be helpful : (

A:It is possible to recover data after a clean install of Windows 7?

Hi you could try this Recuva - Undelete, Unerase, File and Disk Recovery - Free Download
or this Data Recovery Software to Undelete Files; Disk recovery; Recover Deleted Files
google could provide more

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/it-is-possible-to-recover-data-after-a-clean-install-of-windows-7-a-685836.html
Relevancy 48.59%

I forgot to back up my wifes documents on our shared computer. I changed from XP to Windows 7 and booted from the Windows 7 disc. I`m sure I had to format the hard drive when it requested it to install. Is there any way I can get my files back? They are degree stuff so i`m in some real bother.

Relevancy 48.59%

I recently installed a retail version of Windows Pro -bit onto my PC with the intent of using the day trial period then activating it with an OEM licence key if all of my software and drivers worked okay under the data? Pro Windows install 7 preserving over OEM while : retail 64-bit -bit OS I've now been lead to understand that it is NOT possible to activate Windows 7 Pro 64-bit : OEM install over retail while preserving data? the retail installation with an OEM key so apparently my only viable option is to buy a retail product which of course costs a lot more than the OEM version and I'm not exactly rolling in money so I need to take the cheapest route I would naturally prefer to purchase the OEM version Would it be possible to buy the OEM disc and product key then quot re-install quot over my existing Windows 7 Pro 64-bit : OEM install over retail while preserving data? retail installation without losing any of my current configuration I have quite literally spent DAYS configuring this retail trial installation and now that it all works I don't want to have to re-install everything from scratch if I go the OEM route Surely it's possible to quot update refresh quot the trial Retail installation with the OEM disc so that I can then use a purchased OEM key Thanks

A:Windows 7 Pro 64-bit : OEM install over retail while preserving data?

Posting deleted by poster because it was wrong and I did not want to confuse future readers.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/363944-windows-7-pro-64-bit-oem-install-over-retail-while-preserving-data.html
Relevancy 47.73%

I have Windows 7 on a SSD and my User files, programs, and data on a 1TB hard drive. I plan on doing a clean install and want to keep the same setup. Do I need to format the hard drive also? If not, how do I install Win 10 & put the User files on the hard drive?

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/56289-clean-install-windows-10-ssd-data-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 47.73%

Hi Everyone Just registered Hoping someone can help me with this little problem I recently conducted a clean install of windows onto a PC previously running hidden windows clean 13Gb ? data after install of 7 XP I have 13Gb hidden data after clean install of windows 7 ? a Gb partition that I installed the new OS to Drive C However when I use disk management or explorer 13Gb hidden data after clean install of windows 7 ? it says there is Gb of used space on the partition but if I display hidden files and then manually select everything on drive C and click on properties it only says there is Gb The one thing I cannot remember if I did during the install was to select quot format drive quot at the 13Gb hidden data after clean install of windows 7 ? point where it asks which partition you want to install to Upon rebooting there was a windows old folder which I have permanently deleted so that isn't the hidden data but it looked as though it wasn't a clean install because there was still a couple of folders with shortcuts that I had created previously ie not system folders left over My system restore allocation is set at Gb so that can't be it either I am assuming that the Gb of quot hidden quot data is likely to be the old OS which windows cannot see anymore Any advice on how I can retrieve this hidden space on my OS partition without doing another clean install would be mush appreciated

A:13Gb hidden data after clean install of windows 7 ?

and welcome to the Forum

If there was a windows.old file, you did a custom install . . not a clean install.

To see what else is taking space try Space Sniffer

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/13gb-hidden-data-after-clean-install-of-windows-7-a-529171.html
Relevancy 47.73%

I am sorry if this is in the wrong section, I wasn't sure...

I have a PC and it has 2 hard drives in it. The master drive died a month or two ago. I want to know if it is possible to add a partition to the slave drive and install windows XP on that partition without losing the data on the rest of the hard drive. Please let me know if you need more specs on my machine. It's a pentium III with a 3.0 ghz processor and the slave drive is 160 gb western digital IDE with around 30 gigs free. Thanks!

A:Can I install Windows XP on a partition without losing data on other partitions?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can-i-install-windows-xp-on-a-partition-without-losing-data-on-other-partitions.949388/
Relevancy 47.73%

Hi all any help on this would be appreciated I am not the best with instructions but would benefit from a easy to follow guide for doing this I have my Windows currently on the to my faster data and on Install my a to drive I Windows want sys move drive that came with my PC a WDC green TB I have since obtained a faster Seagate GB hard drive What i wanted to do was create a GB partition on the new HDD and some how get my current windows install and data on to the I want to move my Windows Install and data to a faster drive on my sys new drive without having to reinstall all software etc I believe this is achievable but i dont fully understand the process I should mention however that my windows back up will not work it never has it says that their is some issue I do have some software that will create a Back Up but i believe i need a system image I have GB free on the WDC and GB free on the Seagate would all my other files like program files remain on the old hard drive Is it just the windows bit that i would be moving over and how would i get the new hdd to recognise that the program files are still elsewhere Also how would i get the PC to boot from the new drive Is there any benefit in doing this i believe it can help to have windows on a faster disk Thanks in advance for any replies PS - hope this is in the right place

A:I want to move my Windows Install and data to a faster drive on my sys

There is a definite advantage to having your OS on a speedy drive.

Try this:

Imaging with free Macrium

I don't think you want to leave your Program Files where they are - why not have your programs on the faster drive, too?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/167287-i-want-move-my-windows-install-data-faster-drive-my-sys.html
Relevancy 47.3%

My friend has a Windows 7 laptop (32 bit) and his cousin recently won a Windows 8.1 Key and two Office Keys via some Microsoft coding competition or stuff.

Now the thing is how do I install it on his laptop?

He has just one partition (C drive) and wants to keep his personal files (images, music, videos, DOCs, PDFs, etc.).

So if I create a D partition using a software like EaseUS Partition, then move his data into D partition and then install Windows 8.1 on C partition then will his personal data be safe?

Also, is this the correct procedure to install Windows 8.1 64 bit on Windows 7 32 bit? As in shall I download the ISO from Microsoft and create a bootable disk or shall I just mount it in Windows 7 and run the setup exe file?

Please help me on this and I'm really sorry if questions like these have been asked before.

Thank you.

A:How to install Windows 8.1 on Windows 7 without data loss?

The correct procedure in installing a 64-bit version of Windows over the 32-bit version requires a clean install which will erase all the data, wipe the HDD/Hard Disk Drive, can't be done as an upgrade. Upgrades require the same version, 32-bit to 32-bit or 64-bit to 64-bit.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/65206-how-install-windows-8-1-windows-7-without-data-loss.html
Relevancy 47.3%

I was browsing the web and I may have downloaded something bad First something with the process name exe or something like that crashed and poped up the quot it crashed quot window Then all of a sudden this icon that looks like the windows security center icon pops up saying Windows File Protection and says I have something wrong with either my registry file system or something else along those lines Windows Restore has also been disabled I have tried enabling it and restarting but it appears to disable it on 2010 to wants File Data Doctor install Windows Protection start up Have tried booting into safemode but no luck still I have tried running Malware-Bytes Anti Malware but it seems to get stuck on checking itself over and over PC also seems to respond very slow now Any help would be appreciated thinking about formatting it if no help can be found Here is the log Logfile of Trend Windows File Protection wants to install Data Doctor 2010 Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at AM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Safe mode with network support Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www yahoo com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Windows File Protection wants to install Data Doctor 2010 Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride local O - BHO IE Pro - -E - DF-A - FCD B BF - C Program Files IEPro iepro dll O - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll file missing O - BHO Spybot-S amp D IE Protection - - F - D - - D F - C PROGRA SPYBOT SDHelper dll O - BHO no name - C C A-E - b - D - CECB - no file O - BHO Windows Live Sign-in Helper - D - C - ABF- ECC- C - C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WindowsLiveLogin dll O - BHO Java tm Plug-In SSV Helper - DBC -A - b-BC - C C C A - C Program Files Java jre bin jp ssv dll O - BHO JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - E E F - CE- C -BC -EABFE F C - C Program Files Java jre lib deploy jqs ie jqs plugin dll O - HKLM Run NvCplDaemon RUNDLL EXE C WINDOWS system NvCpl dll NvStartup O - HKLM Run SoundMan SOUNDMAN EXE O - HKLM Run nwiz nwiz exe install O - HKLM Run kkw run exe kkw run exe O - HKLM Run DAEMON Tools quot C Program Files DAEMON Tools daemon exe quot -lang O - HKLM Run PWRISOVM EXE C Program Files PowerISO PWRISOVM EXE O - HKLM Run NvMediaCenter RUNDLL EXE C WINDOWS system NvMcTray dll NvTaskbarInit O - HKLM Run Kernel and Hardware Abstraction Layer KHALMNPR EXE O - HKLM Run LifeChat quot C Program Files Microsoft LifeChat LifeChat exe quot O - HKLM Run AppleSyncNotifier C Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support bin AppleSyncNotifier exe O - HKLM Run QuickTime Task quot C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe quot -atboottime O - HKLM Run iTunesHelper quot C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe quot O - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateSched quot C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe quot O - HKLM Run sclauncher C Program Files SimpleCenter bin win sclauncher exe O - HKCU Run ctfmon exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe O - HKCU Run Steam quot c program files steam steam exe quot -silent O - HKCU Run NVIDIA nTune quot C Program Files NVIDIA Corporation nTune nTuneCmd exe quot clear O - HKCU Run msnmsgr quot C Program Files Windows Live Messenger msnmsgr exe quot background O - ... Read more

A:Windows File Protection wants to install Data Doctor 2010

Problem Solved, atleast I think. It ended up being a virus. Cleaned it with ubcd4win or Ultimate Boot CD for Windows
Although, all my restore points have been erased, it could be because of the new year, or it could be because of the scans/tools I've downloaded to attempt to fix it

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-file-protection-wants-to-install-data-doctor-2010.890673/
Relevancy 47.3%

Hi,
I have to install Windows 10 Pro in a bootable hard drive of about 1Tb (model WD10EARS), formatted like this: first an 850Gb NTFS partition with data, and then 150Gb of unallocated space. Currently no operating system is installed on the disk. My aim is to install the copy of Windows 10 in the unallocated space, keeping untouched the partition with the data; is it possible?

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/54408-clean-install-windows-10-keeping-intact-partition-data.html
Relevancy 47.3%

Ok, here is the situation, I want to know is there a way to repair or reinstall windows like this http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt...l-windows.html?

Instead of booting with a XP Installation CD just putting in the cd and installing? Would a upgrade work? I use NTFS... The reason why I want to not boot with the CD is because I keep getting Verifying DMI Pool Data........, but instead of it sitting there forever like that, like most people, it shows the options like boot with safe mode or normal or safe mode with command prompt.

I need to reinstall Windows without loosing any data. I just want my keyboard working, and to do that I need to reinstall Windows. I keep running into problems so I would really appreciate it if someone helped me. Thanks
Carl

A:Windows Install without boot...DMI Pool Data...., and keyboard won't work:(

:'(

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-install-without-boot-dmi-pool-data-and-keyboard-wont-work.677845/
Relevancy 46.87%

I was installing Ubuntu on a separate partition and in the ubuntu install I was partitioning the C Drive and then it said loading for 45 mins so I shut down my pc with the power button and it boot from the ubuntu cd and then in the partition menu it said that the c drive was free space. I hit quit, removed the install dvd and then it says windows failed to boot. What do you want to boot to? Windows 7 or Ubuntu but they both dont work. Ubuntu wasn't even installed.

A:ALL data on C Drive Deleted including Windows Install-Failed To Boot

Try running Startup Repair up to 3 times, see if it fixes it.

How to Run a Startup Repair in Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/367800-all-data-c-drive-deleted-including-windows-install-failed-boot.html
Relevancy 46.01%

Hello I got this problem for a long time I tried to reinstall my dell m three time still does not change anything I am having prevent after install | Dell Security windows tools login me protection Data update from Dell M Precision Workstation I recently install windows on it I installed the Dell data protection security tool it s running fine I can login through fingerprint and password fine every time However Dell Data protection | Security tools prevent me from login after windows install update whenever windows install an update that requires restart to finish install right after I restart I input my password swipe my fingerprint but system keep saying login is incorrect I just can not login I use restart the laptop won t restart it shows restarting for minute or and goes back to login screen not power off and on at all I have to press power button to power down my laptop and power on again in order to logon and after that windows just running slow I have to reboot several times in order to recover its speed And I tried resinstall windows and everything times the problem keep showing up and I pay attention to windows update I notice that as long as the windows update requires a reboot the problem will showing up there is not particular update causing this problem anyone have any idea

A:Dell Data protection | Security tools prevent me from login after windows install update

Looking at how old this post is and the fact that there are no answers from Dell's "finest", I doubt my issue will be addressed either.
My issue involves the same POS software. I can log into the laptop just fine and enroll a finger for my domain admin account, HOWEVER - this software is preventing me from using MS Remote Desktop.  RD client loads and I can supply my username and password, but the client locks up when I click connect.  I'd like to be able to log into my laptop with my finger, but I can't have this software installed with this problem that it causes.  When I uninstall it I can log into Remote Desktop without a problem.  This has to be fixed.  I am running Windows 8.1 Pro x64.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4677/t/19600265
Relevancy 41.28%

I have done this a hundred times or more, What am I doing wrong. I was showing a friend how to burn some data onto a cd. she had a word document and followed my directions and it got burned on fine. I told her how if she wanted to add some info or deleted something from it she could just pull it up and make the changes and then click the red X in the right hand corner and would ask her if she wanted to save the changes I told her to click yes and it would save them and that was that. However, it keeps coming back that it cannot save the changes cause it is read only. If you right click on it > properties> it says read only and won't let you change it, I always use to change the data I burnt. What am I doing different? Please help

A:Solved: Windows XP SP1-Burning data to a cd, try to add some data and it says read only--hel

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-windows-xp-sp1-burning-data-to-a-cd-try-to-add-some-data-and-it-says-read-only-hel.435223/
Relevancy 39.56%

Hi I have two Seagate tb XT internal drives and a Hitachi drive used as my boot drive The two xt drives data re-install Help! after Lost Please were partitioned due to the tb limit using Seagate drive wizard and have been working fine I decided to clean up my PC and re-install Windows I re-installed to the Hitachi drive which went fine but now both xt drives are only showing the larger Please Help! Lost data after re-install partitions and the smaller partitions are showing as unallocated in drive wizard and disc Please Help! Lost data after re-install management I cannot add a drive letter or revive the partitions without losing the data as the only options available are to format or wipe the partitions Am i missing something obvious here I can t see how both drives could have become damaged in the space of an hour and i definitely did not format or change anything except to the Hitachi drive I m not really familiar with partitioning drives but i really can t see what i m doing wrong i just expected to see all four drive letters as they were before the re-install Would really appreciate some help with this as its an awful lot of data i ve lost Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Please Help! Lost data after re-install

A bit late now, but when you are re-installing Windows & you have several other hard drives connected, it's always advisable to remove/disconnect all of them except the one you are going to install Windows on (obviously).

Run the Error Checker on the other two drives to see if it detects & corrects any errors to the file system:
Right-click the drive and choose "Properties"
Click the "Tools" tab
Click "Check Now"
Tick both tick-boxes
Click "Start"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/please-help-lost-data-after-re-install.1029661/
Relevancy 39.56%

I'm currently using Win RC and have internal HD's set up in RAID - GB drives in RAID - GB I and install keep do still data? Can clean my a drives in RAID I use the RAID drives for backup purposes only I have partitions on Raid named as follows A B C I have the OS Windows RC installed on C partition and use the other two Can I do a clean install and still keep my data? partitions for data Now that I will be moving the Full version soon I will be doing a clean install Here's my question Can I just do a clean install on Can I do a clean install and still keep my data? my C partition of RAID drives Will that wipe out the data on the other partitions If no will that data be accessible after the clean install of the OS Will the install wipe out the data on RAID drives If no will that data be accessible after the Can I do a clean install and still keep my data? clean install of the OS I built my system recently with brand new drives and Win RC I installed the RAID driver and setup the RAID in bios before installing the current OS software RAID Please advice Thanks

A:Can I do a clean install and still keep my data?

Quote: Originally Posted by kaissiom

I'm currently using Win7 RC and have 4 internal HD's set up in RAID.

2 - 500GB drives in RAID 0
2 - 500GB drives in RAID 1

I use the RAID 1 drives for backup purposes only.

I have 3 partitions on Raid 0, named as follows: A:,B:,C:
I have the OS (Windows 7 RC) installed on C: partition and use the other two partitions for data.

Now that I will be moving the Full version soon, I will be doing a clean install.

Here's my question:
1. Can I just do a clean install on my C: partition of RAID 0 drives?

Yes, just select the C partition during the Clean install.

2. Will that wipe out the data on the other partitions? If no, will that data be accessible after the clean install of the OS?

No, won't affect partitions A or B. All your data will be untouched and accessible.

3. Will the install wipe out the data on RAID 1 drives? If no, will that data be accessible after the clean install of the OS?

It will only affect partition C. I would disconnect the RAID 1 array before you start.

I built my system recently with brand new drives and Win7 RC. I installed the RAID driver and setup the RAID in bios before installing the current OS (software RAID?).

Please advice.

Thanks.

Hope this helps.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/29555-can-i-do-clean-install-still-keep-my-data.html
Relevancy 39.56%

I'd like to install an SSD for my Win 7 setup. My HD currently has about 250GB on it, and I'm planning to put the data intensive user stuff on the HD.

From poking around, I understand the best way to separate the user data from the boot drive is through drag and drop, rather than a register hack (see Windows 7 and SSDs: Cutting your system drive down to size | Page 2 | ZDNet)

My question is this?I'm planning a fresh install of Win 7 on the SSD. If I use Windows Easy Transfer to transfer the data and settings, there won't be enough room on the SSD for it all (I'm planning a 128GB SSD).

So how do I go about doing the install so that the SSD has just the OS and the apps on it while the HD has the data moved over from the existing HD?

A:Install SSD with HD data drive under Win 7

Camner, welcome to the windows 7 forum.

One solution would be to move all of your data to another disk. remove the hibernate file and then start reducing the size of the existing C drive to less than 120gig. It has to be equal or less than the size of your new SSD. It is just not the free space but the actual size of the c drive after you reduce it's size. Then you can use most any of the image programs like Acronis or the Microsoft included image program to create an image of your resized C drive and install you SSD, then restore the image to the SSD from an external hard disk. Takes a bit of time but it does work. Otherwise, I would remove the existing hard disks and install W7 from your DVD drive. and of course all of your programs would have to be re-installed on your new C SSD.

Clear as mud?

Rich

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/313684-install-ssd-hd-data-drive-under-win-7-a.html
Relevancy 39.56%

Fewer than three days to go until Sevenday!

I currently have 2 hard drives, one for the Vista x86 system, and the other for "My Files" (Documents, Email, Downloads, Pictures ...) although there are naturally a few important files also saved on the system drive.

I plan to do a clean install of Windows 7 x64 using 2 brand new hard drives, and keep the existing drives intact. I can temporarily connect both of the old drives to collect what I need from them.

My question is this: do I need to run Windows Easy Transfer to make an archive of the old drives, or can I transfer the data from its raw form? Going from XP to Vista was easy, simply drag and drop. But I think that the Windows 7 "Libraries" system may not like this, and I may run into problems with Permissions or Onwership.

Any thoughts?

A:Install on new HD, old data transfer?

I would recommend using the Transfer Wizard from the 7 installation disc. It can easily be customized to pick up exactly what you want moved - it got me completely moved from Vista to 7 in an afternoon - without fuss.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/29917-install-new-hd-old-data-transfer.html
Relevancy 39.56%

Hi I have two Seagate tb XT internal drives Lost Help! Please data after re-install and a Hitachi drive used as my boot drive The two xt drives were partitioned due to the tb limit using Seagate drive Please Help! Lost data after re-install wizard and have been working fine I decided to clean up my PC and re-install Windows I re-installed to the Hitachi drive which Please Help! Lost data after re-install went fine but now both xt drives are only showing the larger partitions and the smaller partitions are showing as unallocated in drive wizard and disc management I cannot add a drive letter or revive the partitions without losing the data as the only options available are to format or wipe the partitions Am i missing something obvious here I can't see how both drives could have become damaged in the space of an hour and i definitely did not format or change anything except to the Hitachi drive I'm not really familiar with partitioning drives but i really can't see what i'm doing wrong i just expected to see all four drive letters as they were before the re-install Would really appreciate some help with this as its an awful lot of data i've lost Thanks in advance

A:Please Help! Lost data after re-install

It is always prudent to disconnect all unneeded drives during an installation. But what you are seeing is a bit odd indeed.

I would try to pull off my data from the 2 dead partitions either by using a live Linux CD or with Recuve Download Recuva 1.42.544 - FileHippo.com

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/200862-please-help-lost-data-after-re-install.html
Relevancy 39.56%

I have Windows XP Professional but have found it easier to use Drag & Drop to back up My Documents.
I want to bring my second computer up to date with more recent data. I do not know how to do this using the new backup CD with the new data.
The first step of course is to put the cd in Drive D on my other computer
but then what steps to take?
Will greatly appreciate help.

A:Install new data from backup cd

Drag and drop from the CD to wherever you want to put the files via Windoze Explorer.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/install-new-data-from-backup-cd.372612/
Relevancy 39.56%

Hi forum I have an OCZ GB SSD and TB Wesern Digital HD running on Win bit ultimate custom build The previous not so old previous sata Hd's being tb and tb I wont to add without losing any data that is on them I had terrible problems with Acronis software that came with the SSD and gave up on it as were unable to help me So purchased a new tb HD as a nd HD to get up and running However I now Have a tb HD formatted as had Win on it a free download - but not happy with it and went back to win - which keeps trying to give this back to me as an important update no mention at all it is a win permanent advert So as I now know this I don't download it but is easy to do so as mixed in with other important updates as is the intention and very sneaky Plus a TB HD also full with video photos etc Now I have installed these two drives not as a st boot of course - looked at Bios and changed boot sequence a few times st lised as UEFI But having not done this before I thought it would be simple- but so far not seen theses HD's in the Bios or shown on computer I understand I need to give them drive letter's i e V for video as Letters F G H I already used up as a portable device i e card reader It appears most help assume exactly Sata so 3/4th install I not do on with HD's How a old data it is to format How do I exactly install a 3/4th not so old Sata HD's with data on new HD's Which I How do I exactly install a 3/4th not so old Sata HD's with data on most definately How do I exactly install a 3/4th not so old Sata HD's with data on don't want on the tb as need data for my video editing software I recall putting important info onto the gb SSD from the TB HD and I think I formatted this one to get rid of win as was nowhere as secure as win probably why it was free assumption based on Bitdefender reports I know I can possibly use these as external HD's via extrnal USB But USB seems stupid I would like to use the remaing space and keep for storage- I recall the tb is actually full Sorry if this is a bit long dis-jointed Basically am trying to add these two drives without losing any data via disk management I'm sure im missing something silly in getting pc to recognise these drives etc Any one able to put me in the right place and or give an exact plan to follow Or at least get the tb HD up and running in system as this has important video data I use in conjunction with my editing software Many thanks for any help Robo

A:How do I exactly install a 3/4th not so old Sata HD's with data on

Just connect the drives to sata data and power, boot the system.

If you cannot see the drives in windows check the drive management and make sure they are assigned drive letters.

Once you can see the drives in windows go to properties at the root of each drive and give your current (admin) user full access, may need to take ownership, and make sure this is cascaded to all sub folders

If you have issues as one or more of the old drives are still marked active from the previous system installs you can correct this using Partition wizard

Once you are up and running it is probably a good idea to move the required data onto the new drive, temporarily and wipe and reformat the older drives

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/394300-how-do-i-exactly-install-3-4th-not-so-old-sata-hds-data.html
Relevancy 39.56%

I have a cd/dvd drive that doesn't seem to be working correctly. When opening any data CDs that I have burned it either won't read it or takes a very long time. Also, I recently bought Adobe Photoshop Elements 5.0 and it doesn't recognize that there is anything on the disc at all when I tried to install it on my computer.

My computer has Windows XP. please help! THANKS!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/data-cds-program-install.605874/
Relevancy 39.13%

hey...my XP crashed thus i had 2 repair it and i had a password enabled. when it finishd installing the OS it askd me 4 a password and my old one didnt work
i installed a fresh OS without formatting the harddrive coz of the info in it. and nw i cnt access my info which was in my documents in my old XP and it doesn't even show my username in Documents and settings folder. hw can i b able to access it? i need the data ASAP

A:Recovering data after repair install

Let's see if I understand correctly....you installed XP and the result was a request for a pasword which you say doesn't work.

<<i installed a fresh OS without formatting the harddrive...>>

You have more than 1 hard drive installed? I guess I don't see how you could do a new install, if you don't.

Before we go any further...system manufacturer and model?

<<which was in my documents in my old XP and it doesn't even show my username in Documents and settings folder..>>

So...are you saying that you have an install of XP that allows you to see the other install? Are they on the same partition? Are they on different partitions or drives?

What error message (exact wording) did you get?

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/261105/recovering-data-after-repair-install/
Relevancy 39.13%

My desktop computer has a bloated GB boot drive and a TB drive that I use for storage of large video files I have ordered a GB SSD to decrease Which smaller I I and data install keep should when SSD? programs boot Which programs and data should I keep when I install smaller SSD? time and increase performance - especially for video editing I have read this article and that has offered great help I suspect that I will need to keep the following directories Windows - GB Program Files - GB Program Files x - GB Program Data - GB But what others are essential like System Volume Information Recycle Bin GB pagefile sys hiberfil sys The real quandary comes when I look at the Users directory which is GB I can take the music photos and video from here but even the My Documents folder is GB I know that some of this is subjective but performance-wise is there a disadvantage to moving all of my quot Users quot files and folders from my boot drive to my large storage drive I may purchase quot Paragon Migrate OS to SSD quot to help with the essentials but most of what that appears to do is move the system files to the new SSD Can you give me some advice or direct me to a paper on what to move to the new SSD and what to move to my storage drive Any help will be appreciated

A:Which programs and data should I keep when I install smaller SSD?

I would highly suggest you turn Hibernate off when you install the SSD. Though I guess, its not as important as it used to be.
Heres a link to a tutorial on how to install/migrate to an ssd that you might be interested in : SSD - Install and Transfer the Operating System

When I switched to my SSD , I didn't change very much at all as far as changing files/folders. Of course I moved all my media files to a spinner, but as for Windows itself, I didn't change much at all.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/356507-programs-data-should-i-keep-when-i-install-smaller-ssd.html
Relevancy 39.13%

I have a fresh install of W7 Pro on a new HDD. I have "EVERYTHING" on my old Vista box att.

I have "saved" my data and everything else the transfer wizard claims it will save to a file on an external drive.

Now I want to get my new install operational. Do I install all my programs (MS office, games, etc) then run the transfer wizard to import all the "saved" data and such or do I run the transfer wizard first?

A:Fresh install, now to get my data etc from VISTA

Quote: Originally Posted by richdave

I have a fresh install of W7 Pro on a new HDD. I have "EVERYTHING" on my old Vista box att.

I have "saved" my data and everything else the transfer wizard claims it will save to a file on an external drive.

Now I want to get my new install operational. Do I install all my programs (MS office, games, etc) then run the transfer wizard to import all the "saved" data and such or do I run the transfer wizard first?

Transfer your "saved data" first. Then when you install your programs, you can put a destination path so the data and programs are linked.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/115605-fresh-install-now-get-my-data-etc-vista.html
Relevancy 39.13%

Hello All

Have had a problem with my XP installation, tried the Repair option which failed, can I safely do a fresh install without losing any of my files/folder etc?
Regards SilverSurf

Relevancy 39.13%

OK, here's the problem.

Succesfully running Vista - decided I wanted a dual boot to include XP.

Partitoned my hard drive no probs, installed XP - said to restart my PC - on restart, PC is hanging with the message "Verifying DMI Pool Data'.

If I change the BIOS settings to boot from CD first, I then hang at "Press any key to boot from CD...".

If I boot from CD, Windows XP trys to install again (I've tried that - same problem).

Any ideas before I spend megabucks to get somebody out to look at this for me?

Thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/verifying-dmi-pool-data-after-xp-install.791401/
Relevancy 39.13%

Hi,

I have a bit of a problem, i need to do a fresh install of windows as i have purchased a new MOBO, and would like some pointers on how to keep my Location data for "MY Documents" as i have changed it because they are on a seperate HD.

Will Windows recognise that there is An existing User file on another HD or will i have to go through the registry again to change the location?

I just want to do this with as little hasstle as possible.

Thanks in advance

Adonis

A:How to keep location data of my doc(on sep HD) after fresh OS install?

If you're doing a Clean Reinstall then you'll need to move the Documents folder to it's other location using the steps in User Folders - Change Default Location.

However there is another method that resolves some issues faced with moving User folders to another drive, i.e. being forced to include the data partition in System image because it's now deemed a System drive. So you might first want to include the remote Documents folder in it's Library - Include a Folder - Windows 7 Forums and set it as the default Download location, to see how that works for you instead.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/292047-how-keep-location-data-my-doc-sep-hd-after-fresh-os-install.html
Relevancy 39.13%

I have Streets&Trips 2005 installed on my desktop including the Data CD so I don't need to insert the Run Time CD. I want to install it the same way on my laptop but after the install asks for the second CD (runtime cd), it starts installing but stops with an error, something about the USA_HD file, retry or cancel, and if I select retry, the install seems to stop and I have to terminate it thru Task Manager. Any ideas?
Both PCs run XP Home and laptop has plenty of HD space available. tried numerous times with same outcome!!

A:Streets&Trips won't install data cd on HD

Hiya

Sorry to say, but due to the licensing restrictions that say one machine for one copy of the application, we can't help on this one

http://www.techguy.org/rules.html

eddie

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/streets-trips-wont-install-data-cd-on-hd.529596/
Relevancy 39.13%

HELP!! ohmy.gif
Before doing a clean install of XP Home on a Win ME system, I backed up hundreds of files on 1.7 GB Sec Master and 5 GB Sec Slave Maxtor drives. The XP install reformatted and loaded nicely onto the 60 GB C drive, Pri Master.
Now, XP sees all the files on the 5 GB (E drive) but says that the 1.7 GB (D drive) is unformatted, asking "do you want to format now?" No, I don't want to reformat and loose all the data that's suposed to be there. (The drive was full and readable before axeing ME and installing XP on the C drive.)
Is there any way to coax XP into reading this disk, or some other recovery method?

Thanks!

Relevancy 39.13%

please i need help i have bought a new laptop samsung 350v5c-s0b with pre-installed windows 8 , and then i get bored of BSOD and i intended to change to win 7 , while installation i formated C to install fresh copy of windows 7 but it refused to install it and says "windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style."?? now i dont have any os on my lap and i want to install win 7 without formatting the data on the HDD ... can anyone help me how i could install win 7 on GPT partition?

A:Install win 7 on GPT partition WITHOUT formatting all data

1) Downgrade to Windows 7.
Downgrade Windows 8 to Windows 7
Warning you must have the UEFI/BIOS firmware setting in Step Three set.

2) If Using a USB Pen drive on a PC with a UEFI BIOS.
USB Pen drive need to be formatted to FAT32 as in
UEFI Bootable USB Flash Drive - Create in Windows
Take note of Step 11 for Windows 7.
Also you will need to use a USB 2.0 port, as there are no USB 3.0 drivers in Windows 7.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/300244-install-win-7-gpt-partition-without-formatting-all-data.html
Relevancy 39.13%

My current drive has a problem with booting up (chkdsk issue) and since I am not techincal in computers, I think the easiest thing to do is install a new drive, reload windows xp and copy only the programs I need from the the bad drive.

I was going to disconnect on of my cd roms to to this. Is this a good idea.

Also, can someone tell me or point me in the direction of an easy to follow procedure to set up the secondary drive to retrieve data only, and then take it out and reconnect my CD Rom.

A:Install a second drive to get data only - newbie

Hi
If you have sata ide devices, with the skinny (usualy red) cables, they have no master/slave relationships or id issues, there is only one device per sata cable so it's plug and play, off you go. If you have pata ide devices, the kind with the wide grey cable as usualy found on cdroms and so on, all you have to consider is the master/slave relationship. The device at the end of the cable is usualy the master, the middle position is the slave. If both end up being masters or slaves the bios will have issues and the system will likely not boot. This master/slave function is set via a jumper on the drive. The drive will have a legend printed on it to tell you what jumper position enables what. Also, the drives may have a jumper position called "cs" which is short for cable select. That means bios will determine who is master or slave by itself. Both devices will need to be set to "cs" for this to work, and some cables and bios interfere with "cs" functioning so it can be hit and miss with "cs". To be sure, I never use it, the device on the cable end gets to be master, the middle one is set to slave no matter what, and the master is always the hdd, never the cdrom or other optical drive.

Just some thoughts for you.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/install-a-second-drive-to-get-data-only-newbie.75572/
Relevancy 39.13%

can you just install it over Home edition and all data will be the same ?? any help is appreciated

A:Can you install XP Pro over XP Home and keep all setting & data ??

Yes that is possible.However on very rare occassions some data is lost. So to be safe you could make a backup of important files.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can-you-install-xp-pro-over-xp-home-and-keep-all-setting-data.397979/
Relevancy 39.13%

i just bought the BSNL NIC DATA CARD, my laptop has win xp professional edition installed. When i insert the software installation cd, the installation process begins and after it asks me for locatin to install the files, the window vanishes and nothing happens !!! I tried on my friends laptop which has the same OS as mine, and its installing perfectly on hers! Can anybody help me out pls ?? I have my project to work on and am not able to use internet

mY LAPtop is DELL INSPIRON 1525. My email id is rachnakejariwal @ yahoo.com.

Thanx!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-install-software-with-nic-data-card-on-win-xp-pro.770327/
Relevancy 39.13%

I have two pc s and they are nearly identical Mine just had major issues and I want to retrieve the data on the system before I try either a fresh install on that HDD or perhaps get a new someone do HDD a on before data help fresh to me, need Can install a retrieve I HDD and swap that instead of my Can someone help me, need to retrieve data on a HDD before I do a fresh install current one I don t know if it s my HDD that failed but after a major episode and doing a repair Can someone help me, need to retrieve data on a HDD before I do a fresh install it keeps locking up on the checks and when bypassing that it still locks up when I do get to log in I tried to system restore but apparently I don t have a restore point to do this it just points to today So I ve read that I can put the HDD from pc which is having the issues into pc which is working just fine and transfer pics docs fav places etc that I want to save I have no idea how this works I ve read about slaving and jumpers and such and this is all greek to me I m a reasonable beginner insofar as I know enough to really get myself in trouble so I could REALLY use a detailed step by step description of what I should do I d also like to do some kind of diagnostic on the HDD from the pc that is exhibiting the problem to see if I do indeed need to get a new one Thanks for ANY help nbsp

A:Can someone help me, need to retrieve data on a HDD before I do a fresh install

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can-someone-help-me-need-to-retrieve-data-on-a-hdd-before-i-do-a-fresh-install.703095/
Relevancy 39.13%

Hi,

I'm asking on behalf of a friend who got a wierd problem.

His system have 3 partitions, 2 of which (drive D and E) are dedicated to data. About 2 months ago, he did a full reinstall of his XP system and upgrade to 7. After sometime, for whatever reason, he downgraded his system back to XP. On that system, he did some work and added 50gb+ data to the data partition.

Today, he reformatted the C drive and install 7 again. The funny thing is, the 50gb+ data he added when on XP now missing. All other data is intact. In fact, the state of the 2 data partition is like when he last use 7 before downgrading to XP.

Just to be clear, all his data partition is intact after today's 7 install, only those data (contained on several folders) he added when on XP is missing.

What happened? Can we get those data back? How?

Thanks

A:Missing data after full install from XP

Did you create another partition or was it part of C: ?

Post a shot of Disk Management.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/244336-missing-data-after-full-install-xp.html
Relevancy 39.13%

I have purchased a new desktop, Core2Duo 2.2GHz, 1Gb RAM and 160Gb SATA HDD.
I have partitioned as 30+60+60 GB approx and installed XP on C: drive. But now I am having different thoughts.
1) Should I have a small 4Gb FAT32 partition after C: and move pagefile there?
2) I have some old IDE drives, 80Gb. Is it better to have my Data on a seperate old HDD vs a seperate partition on a new one?
3) Should I put a pagefile on a seperate partition of the 2nd IDE HDD also, if I decide to install one.

What should I do? Especially about the data, partition or new disk?

A:New XP Install / Pagefile / Data storage

For a home system you should leave the pagefile at system managed. There is no benefit making a partition on the same drive as the OS for a pagefile. Putting the pagefile on a older slower drive is also not advised. I would also keep your data on the 160gig drive but if you have a 80gig drive you can use it to backup/copy your data to it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/new-xp-install-pagefile-data-storage.710873/
Relevancy 39.13%

I have purchased a new desktop, Core2Duo 2.2GHz, 1Gb RAM and 160Gb SATA HDD.
I have partitioned as 30+60+60 GB approx and installed XP on C: drive. But now I am having different thoughts.
1) Should I have a small 4Gb FAT32 partition after C: and move pagefile there?
2) I have some old IDE drives, 80Gb. Is it better to have my Data on a seperate old HDD vs a seperate partition on a new one?
3) Should I put a pagefile on a seperate partition of the 2nd IDE HDD also, if I decide to install one.

What should I do? Especially about the data, partition or new disk?

A:New XP Install / Pagefile / Data storage

Hello astrooptics

I don`t think you will gain from putting the Page File on the old drive as it is probably slower than your new system`s SATA drive

If it was me I would just use a partition for Data and then use the old IDE drive to back up to if you think it is reliable

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/new-xp-install-pagefile-data-storage-247900.html
Relevancy 39.13%

Hi everyone.....thanks in advance for any help

I bought a 200 GB Western Digital hard drive today, and brought it over to a friend's house. He installed it, dumped some files to it, and gave it to me. I came home, installed it, and when I click on the F: icon in explorer, I get an error that the disk is not formatted, and it asks if I would like to format. Is there any way at all for me to be able to use this drive and access the data on it? When I use the WD programs that came with the disk, ist sees the data on the drive, it just won't let me access it. Thanks!

Jiiri

Relevancy 39.13%

Hi,
I was wondering if i reinstall windows, will that erase all my data?

Also what does repairing Windows mean? What can that do?

I know that i have to boot from the cd, but every time i restart, it just boots back into windows. I went into my Bios and i don't see a setting to boot from cd? How do i do this?

Thank you,
Tom

Relevancy 39.13%

having just replaced faulty Router,and having uninstalled several unused programs.(Google Chrome/Google earth/Java. I am getting the message " re-install locale data files" can someone please explain how to do this ? I also did a restore to earlier time,but the problem remains.I now have to fill in every letter on previously pre-filled in forms etc..I really need help before I go crazy.
MaTech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 32 bit
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) 9600 Quad-Core Processor, x64 Family 16 Model 2 Stepping 2
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 3454 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430, 128 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 467723 MB, Free - 430296 MB; D: Total - 9213 MB, Free - 9138 MB; K: Total - 466267 MB, Free - 466160 MB;
Motherboard: ASUSTek Computer INC., NARRA3
Antivirus: Norton Internet Security, Updated and Enabledny thanks in anticipation.
Kind regards ,just Vera

A:How to re-install 'locale data files'

Not the right part of the forum for this, but i found this thread which may help.
http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/Atze7NW8FV0

Blue Zebra said:

Had the same problem, tried to re-install - no joy. Then tried the manual un-install using the process above - unable to remove.

Eventually found that the were two files with similar names (Looks like the are the Chrome version numbers) in

C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application

I then just copied the chrome.exe file into the latest numbered folder, then clicked on the chrome.exe file from within this folder and all now works exactly as before.Click to expand...

If you have uninstalled chrome, i would reinstall it (if possible) then try uninstalling again.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-re-install-locale-data-files.1061900/
Relevancy 39.13%

Help needed I received a message about Windows updates being ready to install but not the usual quot be sure to back up all data etc quot so I closed all open programs and set it to run while taking the dog for his morning walk Upon return I see a new home page without all the previous icons and the following oddities Outlook needs to be reinstalled If I do this I'm afraid that I will have to recreate my address book email files and calendar entries iTunes doesn't show my music library Picassa needs to be re installed What happened The files data photos and music are still on my C drive but no longer show up when each program is launched I think I can figure out how to tell Picassa to import the photos and I assume iTunes can be told to search for the music library But I'm primarily worried about the contacts etc in Outlook If I sync my iPhone will the contacts there be added to Outlook Ditto with the calendar entries And how do I import the emails into the newly installed Outlook I can't seem to find where they're located on my C drive Thanks Richard

A:SP 1 install wiped out programs and data?

you could try a system restore from a restore point prior to SP1 install--then--if that works....turn off windows updates

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/175514-sp-1-install-wiped-out-programs-data.html
Relevancy 39.13%

hello,

when win7 comes out retail I want to install it. do not want to have to manually install every program n file currently on my vista 64 bit system. what is a good way to save my current setup so I can just reinstall it to the new win7 system? I have an external HD 500gb I can use. searched the files here for information perhaps i am not using the correct search terms n phrases.

I know before I back up current vista I need to purge it n slim down the files n programs lol.

Thanks as always,

Msongs
Riverside CA

A:backup data before win 7 clean install?

it won't work. Clean install means you have to reinstall most of your programs from scratch (unless they are portable). However, you can use the easy transfer wizard to make it a bit easier (not by much).

The only semi-reliable way to keep program files, registry settings, etc intact is to do an upgrade.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/22936-backup-data-before-win-7-clean-install.html
Relevancy 39.13%

Hi I have lost very important data after doing a re-install of win xp pro serv pack new legit copy over an unverified xp pro serv pack First I tried a repair with the new product key got to the welcome screen and was asked to log in to my account after doing that it said quot you are already logged in then a sreen came on saying register my copy of windows YES NO on yes or no it logged off and went back to the log on screen basicaly round in circles then a friend advised to do a complete re-install over my origional O S leaving files amp folders intact I did lost important data xp pro Re-install after but when it came to the drive directory to install the default was c windows highlited and my friend said to alter it to WINNT Since then every application wont run asking to re-install applications files are missing drivers are missing and my cd-drive wont open Saved registration keys are in Incredimail which I cannot find all my contacts are missing Please help I feel as if my right arm has been cut off I dont Know how much has been lost yet as I cant get into any applications Thanks for reading hope you can help Dell Dimension mb ram cd RW Nvida graphics with mb on board ram years old

A:lost important data after Re-install xp pro

I don't want to say your friend gave you bad advice, but reinstalling Windows that way causes problems as you are now finding out. Basically, I believe you are probably going to have to reinstall all your applications and drivers. You may be able to reinstall many of the drivers by pointing the wizard to c:\windows\system32 but you are probably better off just using your Dell Resource CD if you still have it.

You can open Outlook just fine still?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/lost-important-data-after-re-install-xp-pro-221019.html
Relevancy 39.13%

Hello. I am using Windows 8 as an Operating System - Not a Microsoft service - this means all it's supposed to do is run the programs I tell it to run, nothing else. I'm setting this up on a machine that has a 64 gigabyte hard drive and need to be able to install everything related to my programs to another drive or partition. I know I need to tell each installer to manually use my preferred folder on the other drive/partition BUT I also need Windows to NOT put any data inside the AppData folder - I need all appdata on my 2nd partition or drive as well, Not on the Windows partition. I'd also need to tell Windows Not to use My Documents for game save folders. I need Everything and I mean Everything on my 2nd drive/partition.

How do I do this? Thanks!

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/74428-how-do-i-install-all-programs-data-2-drive.html
Relevancy 39.13%

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 4008 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 1812 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 463827 MB, Free - 317778 MB;
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0GDG8Y
Antivirus: Norton 360, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled
After LOTS of problems with BT Desktop Help, I've been left with the error message 'Unable to find locale data files. Please reinstall'. Restarting from an earlier date has not worked and I've tried searching just about everywhere for these files. Any help would be much appreciated.

Relevancy 39.13%

Hi
I want to reinstall Windows XP without loosing data and downlaods which I have no way of backing up.

However I do have a partition in my hard drive.

Can I stuff all the prgms etc. I want to keep into the D Drive and reinstall windows on the C drive? Or will Windows delete the entire hard disk?

Someone told me if I reinstall windows it only clears the drive you are installing it to.

PLease confirm this anyone?

A:RE-install window without loosing data?

There are multiple ways to attack this. First, a Windows install will not mess with your "D" drive unless you tell it to. The W2K (and I believe the XP) installer has an imbedded disk manager, and early in the process you can tell it what to do (where to install, how to partition, what to format, etc.). Second, I believe you can completely install Windows without formatting your "C" drive either - just a replacement of the Operating System components without affecting your other data. Having said that, a totally "clean" install usually does involve formatting the partition in which you will be installing the OS. Finally, understand that when you install programs under Windows many registry keys are built and initialized. Generally, you cannot just move/save programs (including all their directories and modules) then move them into another OS (same OS but new) and expect them to run. If you do an install and use/keep the old registry you may be keeping problems which you are trying to get rid of. The short answer to your question is "yes and no". Proceed with caution.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/re-install-window-without-loosing-data.71127/
Relevancy 38.7%

I just got my A8v deluxe running with XP pro on IDE. I want to install my 2 SATA drives which are already formatted with loads of vital files on them.
they are recognised when plugged in but windows can't see them.
I created a drivers floppy and everything installed fine I think.
But I don't want to format them so any clues?

A:SATA with saved data install on a8v deluxe

Were those two drives in a raid array prior?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/sata-with-saved-data-install-on-a8v-deluxe-70426.html
Relevancy 38.7%

Hi I am unable to install the drivers for my NIC's getting the error 'Invalid data as shown in the images below' It has previously been working fine on all adapters but I needed to uninstall the network cards as HyperV was throwing up an error when creating virtual switches which may have caused this PS C Users JGAdmin gt get-netadapter Name InterfaceDescription ifIndex Status MacAddress LinkSpeed ---- -------------------- ------- ------ ---------- --------- Ethernet Intel R PRO PT Dual Port Netwo Not Present bps Ethernet Broadcom BCM C NetXtreme II Gig Not Present bps Ethernet Intel R PRO PT Dual Port Net Not Present bps Ethernet Broadcom BCM C NetXtreme II Gi - - - A-A - A bps Ethernet Intel R PRO PT Dual Port Net - F- - -C - bps Ethernet Intel R PRO PT Dual Port Net - F- - -C - bps vEthernet VLAN Desk Hyper-V Virtual Ethernet Adapter Not Present - F- - -C - bps vEthernet VLAN Serv Hyper-V Virtual Ethernet Adapter Up E - - - - - C Gbps I have tried numerous drivers with no luck all getting the same error If you need anymore info please let me know The box has alot of data on it so I would rather not have to do a clean install so any solutions most welcome Many Thanks

A:Unable to install NIC's - Invalid data error

It helps to know if you are using some kind of Virtual Machine software.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/47126-unable-install-nics-invalid-data-error.html
Relevancy 38.7%

I am using Win XP SP3 and VC# 2010 Express.

I understand that when an App is installed, it goes under the "C:\Program Files" folder. I wanted the App to create a folder there and write a data file - only for the App's use - that will provide start-up information for the next invocation. However, a test programs shows that creating a folder under "C:\Program Files\ABC" is not permitted. Can this be changed with a setting in the installer?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/private-app-data-and-post-install-permissions.989523/
Relevancy 38.7%

I have a laptop that has crashed, it wont boot. There are pictures i want to save but cannot get them off.
I have used Winternals to move the pictures out of my documnets in to the root directory so that they can be accessed freely.

I have tried connecting with a USB lead but i'm sure there are bad blocks on the drive and this is stopping me.

What i want to do is install XP again but retain my files on the drive. Will the install let me partition the drive without losing the files on the drive at present.

I know the the dis FUBARd but i want these pictures.

Is there an application that wil fix bad blocks on a drive through a USB leab...........anything.

Relevancy 38.7%

Hi My dads PC is Core i - k Gb SSD Gb HDD Gb Mhz Corsair RAM nVidia N GTX Windows -Bit on the SSD Windows -Bit on the HDD as you BSOD install after Problem) constant G-DATA (Serious can see he has two hard-drives installed the SSD is Primary with Windows on it yesterday he installed a trial of G-Data Anti-Virus minutes later the PC BSOD when it constant BSOD after G-DATA install (Serious Problem) rebooted it would not read the SSD I had to go into BIOS constant BSOD after G-DATA install (Serious Problem) and the preferred order of the drives was reverted back to HDD st and SSD nd - so I change em back and when windows loaded it loaded much quicker than it used constant BSOD after G-DATA install (Serious Problem) to on the SSD just a few seconds which on an SSD is a long time I noticed it was quicker ive seen this happen on older computers and when it does the System Restore points are lost right enough they are gone anyway he used the computer as normal turned it off turned it back on this morning and done some browsing and turned it off I turned it on and logged into my account and used it for some browsing and file copying which worked fine then after mins it just froze then BSOD it rebooted and BSOD would happen withing minutes its BSOD s about times now in past hour or so trying to get onto it and some of the times the preferred order of drives is swapped around i think the BIOS is doing this when its getting no response from the SSD in the POST sequence I have now managed to boot into Windows from the HDD and its working fine either the SSD is bust or the file system is bust on it - Iam gunna attempt retrieve personal files from the SSD Iam sure there are dump files etc but I dunno where they are or how to read them the BSOD message doesnt stay on long enough to read it but initiialy it had an error message but now it says something about a process and shutting down to prevent damage cant remember if i see it again I will try and catch it and write it down if anyone could help with this i would be gratefull I would rather not format providing SSD aint stuffed and re-install if I could help it as there is a lot of stuff too put on like I say this all started within mins of installing G-DATA Anti-Virus infact it was just moments after its screensaver scan there were no viruses so it aint that P S I ran a chkdsk f to run at boot it did then BSOD some of the way through thanks nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/constant-bsod-after-g-data-install-serious-problem.1057444/
Relevancy 38.7%

Good day,
actually i need to re-install a window, but please help me how can save my outlook data , and how can import the data after complete window installation.

Need favorable help.

Thakns you, mz

A:How can transfer the outlook data before install a new window

Google

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/275869-how-can-transfer-outlook-data-before-install-new-window.html
Relevancy 38.7%

I have a client running Windows 8.1. The original problem was that he could not install an HP 6700 printer, the installer package failed every time. I got the same error; I attempted to update all his drivers and noticed that all the installers failed. I then attempted to install it manually and I get a failure: Windows found drivers software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it. The data is invalid. I receive the same error if I try to install any driver the same way. Any help would be appreciated. Laptop is an Acer Aspire One running 8.1, there were no recovery discs made and all recovery options fail. Not sure where to go with this.

A:Cannot install any driver, failing for invalid data

Any help would be appreciated.

Try DriverMax

I use the paid version.It works good.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/39369-cannot-install-any-driver-failing-invalid-data.html
Relevancy 38.7%

I want to clean install Windows 7 64-bit and I have Windows XP 32-bit. I have two hard disks and someone said me one of my hard disks is system disk and another one is just plugged into my compuer. That person also said that I'll have to remove my hard disk with data in it but how to install it back without losing data in it?

A:How to install hard disk without losing data in it?

Unplug the other disc.

Install Windows 7 to the system disc.

After Windows 7 is installed, reconnect the other disc.

It's up to you to know which disc is which and to disconnect the right one.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/58918-how-install-hard-disk-without-losing-data.html
Relevancy 38.7%

I have a hp omni 100 desktop and the hard drive is failing. I bought a new hard drive and wondered if there is a way to transfer the os and files from the old hd to the new blank one? I do have a set up to power up the old hard drive externally and connect it via usb. Thanks for any help.

A:How do I install the data from my old hard drive onto a blank one?

Macrium Reflect Free will do this for you.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/233142-how-do-i-install-data-my-old-hard-drive-onto-blank-one.html
Relevancy 38.7%

Just seen a well presented video that shows how to convert an mbr based installation of windows to a UEFI based install without reinstalling OS and losing data.

Convert Windows 7/8/10 Installation from Legacy to UEFI Without Data Loss (Simpler Method) - YouTube

Obviously, make an image backup first.

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/43358-converting-mbr-install-uefi-without-loss-data.html
Relevancy 38.7%

Successfully ran my 1st repair install to correct updating errors. Went very smooth...but...in Explorer...I can not access Program Data as before.

I get the attached security window...have tried to change permissions...but still no joy.

When in security for Program Data folder...what do I actually modify/change to get permissions to inspect/view Program data folder ?

Thanks....TiminAz

A:Can't access Program Data after repair install

Try Take Ownership Shortcut

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/342236-cant-access-program-data-after-repair-install.html
Relevancy 38.7%

Hi,i own 2 HDD's one for installation and a media drive. Last time i reinstalled i had huge issues gaining permissions to my media and ended up deleting about 600gb of data. After recently trying out windows 8 i was stupid enough not to data my data and thought win8 would install onto a partition i made for it. I recovered my windows 7, but encountering lots of problems, so i think its time for a clean install. Is there a way to keep my permissions on my media drive for my new install? I don't have an external drive.

A:Backing up data before a clean install - permissions

Follow these steps to perfectly Clean Reinstall Windows 7 Factory OEM or Clean Install Windows 7,
then from the Administrator account rightclick on the Media HD partition(s) to Share them.

If iit continues to cause trouble then install this Take Ownership Shortcut

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/218710-backing-up-data-before-clean-install-permissions.html
Relevancy 38.7%

Hi, have anyone tried to deploy Dell Data Protection | Encryption Enterprise edition via GPO?
I'm able to create a policy with an installation script, but since it's a computer based policy I cannot install DDP|E form the file share in AD and don't want to enable guest account on the file share. 

A:Dell Data Protection | Encryption install via GPO

Sorted it out by myself.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/virus-spyware/f/3522/t/19681774
Relevancy 38.7%

I believe that my Email account is too large in size since and I can only receive emails. I can not send emails. I contacted Yahoo and that is what they think has happened. I tried to find the size of data on my email account with yahoo.ca to no avail. I thought that when I download the icloud that it would fix the problem. However, before I do so, I would like to know what information I would loose upon downloading the Microsoft icloud.
Donald B. W. Clark

A:What data is lost when you download and install icloud?

Originally Posted by Windows Central Question I believe that my Email account is too large in size since and I can only receive emails. I can not send emails. I contacted Yahoo and that is what they think has happened. I tried to find the size of data on my email account with yahoo.ca to no avail. I thought that when I download the icloud that it would fix the problem. However, before I do so, I would like to know what information I would loose upon downloading the Microsoft icloud.
Donald B. W. Clark your yahoo email account is supposed to have 1TB storage, so are you sure your storage is full? And you should still be able to send emails. Try deleting some older ones
icloud is a service from Apple, not Microsoft. Can you check what it is that you're actually looking for?
If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/434904-what-data-lost-when-you-download-install-icloud.html
Relevancy 38.7%

Yesterday tried to install apple quicktime Install failed and then I started having problems with the D data drive quot inaccessible or corrupted quot messages I can still see the folders files and structure in file management However attempting to move or copy anything fails On boot win advised to check drive but that Quicktime drive data install corrupted didn't work I ran western digital Quicktime install corrupted data drive diagnostics off UBCD rescue cd short and long tests no errors Then I checked the win install with System File checker - no problems didn't expect any win boots fine Then I tried chkdsk D This swiftly returned quot orphan Quicktime install corrupted data drive file found can't continue quot chkntfs returns quot D is dirty quot Now I am worried that if I run chkdsk f this might be a disk wide problem and everything is going to become a chk file HELP advice needed I should add that I looked at system restore but no restore point was available prior to the apple install attempt - not sure why Should I attempt some data recovery first I have a backup paragon image but it is a month old due to this PC being a recent build and dilatory in setting up regular backup So I am hoping for some good advice from members more expert in working with ntfs problems like this thanks

A:Quicktime install corrupted data drive

update:
installed the drive into an xp box, chkdsk did its thing on booting looks like everything might be ok....??

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/182961-quicktime-install-corrupted-data-drive.html
Relevancy 38.7%

OK - I'm not overly Techie I'm afraid. Just considering the upgrade from Euro version of Vista to W7 E. This means a clean install, I'm happy with the whole partitioning thing, but how do I get all my old data and apps onto W7 once it's up and running? I've got many many gig of data and some excellent apps that I need working without a whole lot of grief. How does this happen? If this is a matter of an entire manual re-load of all this data etc, I'm simply not going to do the upgrade. Can anyone help?

A:Clean Install while keeping data and apps?

Quote: Originally Posted by Lexlacey

OK - I'm not overly Techie I'm afraid. Just considering the upgrade from Euro version of Vista to W7 E. This means a clean install, I'm happy with the whole partitioning thing, but how do I get all my old data and apps onto W7 once it's up and running? I've got many many gig of data and some excellent apps that I need working without a whole lot of grief. How does this happen? If this is a matter of an entire manual re-load of all this data etc, I'm simply not going to do the upgrade. Can anyone help?

Hi and welcome to SF

Im confused you say you want to buy the upgrade edition and say you cant use it to do an upgrade. I think you want to do an upgrade and thats what the upgrade version is for. Am i missing something?

Ken

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/16585-clean-install-while-keeping-data-apps.html
Relevancy 38.7%

Hi I can't boot my computer I initially had a horrible BSOD that claimed avgidsha sys was the culprit I renamed it and other av files but still had problems Occasionally I would be able to troubleshoot but after losing that ability I found out if I installed another OS I may be able to see the troubleshooter I installed Ubuntu I had GB space left but accidentally set the bar all the way left to GB I do not know if this caused issues but eventually I could no longer access my Windows files or was wiped... Can repair, and seems my reset it data not or re-install boot Can not repair, reset or re-install and it seems my data was wiped... either Ubuntu or Windows Ubuntu said in order to mount Acer I had to chkdsk Eventually I downloaded the Windows Media Tool put it on a DVD and was able to access the command-line--which I wasn't able to do prior I chkdsk relogged onto Ubuntu hoping to salvage some files only to find out I had no files to salvage I'd like to know how to repair this computer so I can boot Ubuntu or Windows right now I am running a trial of Ubuntu But also I'd like to know if there is a way to recover my old drive--I'd rather not lose pictures of my baby or writings I've had over a BSOD If it's possible to restore the drive while using Ubuntu please inform me I'd rather back up the data now then repair later--as I am locked out of Windows at the moment To wit I'm told I can not reset my PC and I'm told that I can not install Windows because I started the PC with the media tool and if I start it without the media tool I am given two options Shut Down or Advanced Options Only command line functions for me In attempting to start a DVD I am faced with the initial problem of starting the PC with a media tool Please help and thank you

http://www.tenforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/64406-can-not-repair-reset-re-install-seems-my-data-wiped.html
Relevancy 38.7%

I have a huge honking TB of space on my C hard drive and only use less than half of that but every time I want to do a system backup and create a system image to restore to in case everything else goes wrong which has occurred times this year is to backup to a USB drive of only GB which is about the size of a backup w sys image So everytime I do that I lose all my other backups which shouldn't be a problem but is annoying I have a HD I am currently not using - can anyone advise me on the steps to take I tried Lenovo support and incredibly they a I use up 2nd to install hard backing want data for drive to want for such an quot involved quot help issue - and I am still under warranty I asked what the dollar option would give me and they said incredibly that for I would get three phone support sessions for quot minor quot problems When asked what a quot minor quot problem was they said as an example quot installing software quot WTF When asked I was told the warranty only covered the HD and only in certain cases I didn't ask to define quot certain quot cases but asked to speak to a floor manager I've worked on help desks I was then peppered with questions like Why Why do you need to speak to him My name Why do I want to install a 2nd hard drive to use for backing up data you need my name quot It's service like this that has already made me decide to go to a different brand any brand just based on that OK Ihave finished my rant Any help would be appreciated oh the HD I will be using is not blank it was taken I want to install a 2nd hard drive to use for backing up data out of another system for reasons not related to performance I have remaining SATA ports on my system and GB of RAM and am running Win HP on a machine powered by Intel i processor if that is relevant Thank You

A:I want to install a 2nd hard drive to use for backing up data

Welcome to SevenForums.

If you want to use the second drive only for system images and it already has information on it you'll need to format it first.

You can do this by simply plugging in the USB drive ( I assume that is what your going to use) then go to my computer and click on that drive and select fomat. choose which type you want NTFS or Fat 32 I recommend NTFS.

Once you have done that you'll choose quick format.
This will EREASE everything on the drive and prepare it for new information. So make usre you don't have anything on the drive you want to keep.

Once you have formatted the drive you can use either imgburn. Download link
http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
Or DriveImage XML Software to create the system image. Download link http://www.runtime.org/driveimage-xml.htm

Here is a tutorial on how to use DriveImage XML http://www.techsupportalert.com/partitioning-hard-drives-3.htm

Here is a post using Macrium with a link that will also help you. http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/43219-image-your-system-free-macrium.html

Hope this will answer your question.
Fabe

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/201452-i-want-install-2nd-hard-drive-use-backing-up-data.html
Relevancy 38.27%

hello everyone I am trying to install Windows XP in a computer that has SATA disks I formatted C and D which were previously in RAID- forming three partitions I un-RAID them to restore them to being old fashioned disks C for the system and D for storing ghost images to regenerate the system in case to in in will XP, install destroy HELP! data to drives? that IDE RAID bios of crashes or virus damage That was the easy part The first problem came up when I booted the Windows installation CD It gave me that quot Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in RAID to IDE in bios to install XP, will that destroy data in drives? HELP! your computer quot and quot press F to quit quot Which I figured could be solved by going into the BIOS and turning the SATA mode from RAID to IDE The thing is there are other disks GB each which are set in RAID- to form a TB 'disk' named quot VIDEO quot It contains GB worth of user files professional foto archives post-production video cuts and a load of critical data I can't touch any of that or even make the slightest move that would put it in danger we can't back it up at this point not enough DVD's and no other disk drives available So the first two drives are non-RAID and the other two are RAID- if I go into the BIOS and change the SATA mode from RAID to IDE just so I can install Windows XP in the C drive will that damage in any way the set-up of the disks in RAID Should I unplug the two RAID disks change the SATA mode and install XP then change the SATA mode to RAID again and put the GB drives back in to play things safe is this even possible hope you have any suggestions I really appreciate your help thanks a lot

A:RAID to IDE in bios to install XP, will that destroy data in drives? HELP!

Hello and welcome to the forum,

excellent questions you have there.

Yes you can install xp on the first harddrive with your setup.

Heres how:

First harddrive configuration: assuming ICH5R port

Non-RAID operation your BIOS Main-
IDE Configuration screen must be set as follows:

Onboard IDE Operate Mode= Enhanced
Enhanced Mode Support On= S-ATA
Configure S-ATA as RAID= No
IDE Detect Time Out= 35

Note: Make sure this first harddrive is connected to primary first port not the second one.

Now attach your second SATA HDD, now set your boot- Hard disk menus like this:

1st Drive=3M (old SATA HDD)
2nd Drive= disabled[/b]

Afterward set your Boot- Boot Device Priority menu like this:

1st Device= CDROM
2nd Device= Floppy
3rd Device=3M (old SATA HDD)

hit F10 to save, confirm, exit, and reboot.

Afetr reboot go back into bios and double check your boot order please
as sometimes the boot order gets messed up so double check it. Also
make sure "extended bios" is turned off as this may confuse the motherboard.

Let me know how this works out for you please?.....

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/raid-to-ide-in-bios-to-install-xp-will-that-destroy-data-in-drives-help-365529.html
Relevancy 38.27%

I am dualbooting Win8 and Win7, using one 500gb hard drive. Win7 has been my main OS, so all of my music, photos, etc. are stored there.

How can I access the user data from my Win7 install , from my Win8 install?

Everytime I try to go to it from Win8 ---- > My computer it says that I don't have permission to access the files for that user,then attempts to do so for some random period of time, and in the end nothing happens.

A:Accessing Win7 use data and files from Win8 install on HD

I have noticed for quite awhile that your post has had no replies. It doesn't seem like your problem should be too hard to solve--but the lack of replies suggests that it is not that easy to solve. Anyway, I am having no luck in solving your problem via searches.

I don't want to say something like change the permissions because fooling with the permissions of bootable partitions labeled with drive letters might be problematic. I certainly don't suggest that you try to do so without knowing for sure what the consequences might be. I have some questions. Can you access the Win8 drive from your Win7 partition? Are both partitions labeled with drive letters in Computer? If yes, what happens when you double click the Win7 drive having started up to Win8 and vice versa? How have you been trying to access the Win7 partition from Win8. Does device manager show any issues with your hard drive from either boot?

I suggest that you don't do anything until one of the real experts here gives the OK. If you decide to take a risk, be sure your data files are well backed up.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/15966-accessing-win7-use-data-files-win8-install-hd.html
Relevancy 38.27%

I have a computer that the hard drive is starting to make Indy noises - day Decided to purchase new HD and transfer date over to it before the other one hits the wall Extensive amount of data is backed up on external HD using Acronis Install data Solved: and transfer drive Hard new software from which I have never Solved: Install new Hard drive and transfer data had to use the restore function Presently running XP home ed QUESTION I have no more slots data cables or power cables free Can I temporarily unhook my zip drive cables and insert them into new drive just to complete this new install If that is OK do I Fdisk and format new drive from present drive to get NTSF before data transfer or do the drives come pre-formatted with NTSF As to actual transfer of all data is it best to use Windows Explorer and copy all programs so I know hidden and R O Solved: Install new Hard drive and transfer data files are transferred or has anyone restored a full HD using Acronis so I know that when swapping Solved: Install new Hard drive and transfer data new HD from slave to the slot where present drive resides and becomes the bootable drive all will FLAWLESSLY work like intended and then re-hook up zip drive Never had to replace HD with this many GB of data and of programs before Always threw the whole works in the dumpster because entire system needed to be upgraded Any flowsheet of how to perform this task will be greatly appreciated You guys have nt let me down yet Hoping for another smooth transition for a really common procedure I would guess Thanks so much Paul nbsp

Relevancy 38.27%

Hi all st post and not sure if im in the right forum as i dont know where to attribute the cause of my problem but here goes upgraded from my athlon went to intel C D E gigabyte P DQ gb ram was goona go but still using XP so cant utilise the ram till Vista data lost/drive install inaccessable xp post is mainstream GF GTS ok formatted my C drive got others post install xp data lost/drive inaccessable gb partitioned C - D and the gb E storage only drive used windows XP i got retail but also has SP with it in the box got to the enter product key and the key i have doesnt work in SP so took it out and put the original windows XP disk in and it had to over wite the existing installtion files and for those who know what im talking about you get to a screen where it gives you options is to quit another to delete existing partition and damn i cant remember the other but there is no way to just continue where i were anyway i can vaguely remember certain windows files folders on the storage drive gb sata like start menu my documents and so on i chose to delete partition and installation continued till im on windows all good but the sotorage drive wasnt accessable and when i click says the drive isnt formatted would you like to format now no this is wierd i freak out and move on knowing some software i used in the past like GETBACKDATA has saved me in the past quite well even on stuffed drives that power up but just arent readable sectors stuffed i spoze start updating windows sp security files drivers reboots over reboots and soemthing wierd happened i try the proggy GETBACKDATA and could see the files in there minus the one i really wanted which was called DVDs where lal my savwed backed up movies were saved and were hundreds all my other stuff pics of family applications and the kinda stuff you normally would back up were there but not this folder they just dissappeared then i somehow could get into the drive i didnt format it or anything its just post install xp data lost/drive inaccessable able to open again but evne using the program i mentioned above which is able to revoer formatted data deleted and damaged files cant see it its like it never existed wat can i do took me ages to get them i only just upgraded to adsl and really dont wanna spend my time killing myslef trying to re download everything again the whole thing to me doesnt make sense any geniuses out there please please please i beg you screeny below is the data in the foler it hasnt found anything i have lost or have i not clicked a certain option used this in the past and i swear it was a god send got all my stuff back years of family pics esp important other than that drive is operating fine

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/post-install-xp-data-lost-drive-inaccessable-175660.html
Relevancy 38.27%

I bought SysTools Hard Drive Data Recovery and I m ready to download and install the program Recovery Install Drive SysTools Hard Data The decision to make is on which drive should it be installed The company website says When you will click on Next you will be asked to select the destination location for installation of software By default the software will get installed on this location-C Program Files SysToolsHard Drive Data Recovery but if you wish then you can also select a different destination location by clicking on the Browse button The email sent with the Install SysTools Hard Drive Data Recovery purchase instructs NOTE Please DO NOT select destination Install SysTools Hard Drive Data Recovery drive folder as the source hard drive from which you are recovering data The data I use and want to restore is on Drive C That leaves Drive D which is marked Recovery No valuable documents on there to my knowledge Drive Install SysTools Hard Drive Data Recovery E is for running DVDs but it seems a bit risky as DVDs can degrade over time Which way should I go nbsp

A:Install SysTools Hard Drive Data Recovery

What exactly are you trying to recover and why?

Assuming they are simply files that were deleted on accident, the more you use the computer (especially as the files were on the C drive), the more likely the data has been/will be overwritten, and thus not recoverable. Windows and all Windows software (your browser for example), write temp files to the C drive all the time. Which means any files deleted from that drive, will quickly be partially or completely overwritten and not recoverable.

Even installing the recovery software on a different HDD (or in this case, drive D would appear to be a partition of a single HDD), will write files to the C drive.

In this instance, as soon as it was determined that file recovery was needed, the computer should have been shut down and the HDD removed. You then use a second computer with the recovery software, connect the HDD (internally, by USB adapter, or dock/external enclosure) and recover the data.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/install-systools-hard-drive-data-recovery.1154553/
Relevancy 38.27%

I have been trying to install a tp-link TLwn821n to my friends windows 8 computer.
It seems to install ok and then asks me to reboot the computer. upon reboot the drivers are not installed.
The message reads 'windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error when attempting to install it, the data is invalid'
I have installed this stick to my windows 8 computer and my windows 8 laptop with no problem at all.
I have taken the latest drivers from the website.

Has anyone got a fix or know what the problem is,

Many thanks

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/31442-cannot-install-tp-link-wifi-adaptor-data-invalid.html
Relevancy 38.27%

hello everyone, i have installed the windows 10 Eval from 122 to 10240 via the windows update, ( in VMware Workstation ) and everything is looking good, i have installed a few program on the OS, and i am liking the way it looks now,

i made an ESD into an ISO and did a "CLEAN" install of the RTM 10240 onto my VMware Station. which installed much faster then the updates on the prior installs,

i am now looking for the best Easiest way to Copy / Move all my programs and settings from the "UPDATED" installation of win 10 to the " NEW CLEAN" install of 10240

is this Possible ?

Thanks in advance.

A:Moving DATA from updated 10 to a Clean install of 10 in VMware

From all I've read concerning Virtual Machines it seems to be best/more reliable to first Copy your Data, anything you don't want to lose, onto a USB Thumb/Flash drive, USB HDD or onto DVDs then copy from that drive/disc onto the "NEW CLEAN" install of 10240.

http://www.tenforums.com/virtualization/8384-moving-data-updated-10-clean-install-10-vmware.html
Relevancy 38.27%

hi,

i intend to do a clean install of win7 64bit. i currently have vista32 on my primary 500gb hd. i want to move my data onto my secondary 320gb hd so that i can clean install on the 500gb ... but i still want to access the data on the 2nd (vista32) HD.

i want to use the win7 HD in a new pc i have built. so:

1. how best to move my data to the second HD so that it can be read by the primary?
2. will there be a problem reading the second HD in a new set up (mobo, cpu etc)?
3. should i format the 500gb and then put it in the new setup then do the clean install?
3b. if i should do that - should i partition it first?

would really appreciate your expert help. thanks

A:Clean 64bit install in new PC but still access old vista32 data

Create a data partition on your secondary HD, copy the User folders into it after sorting all of your data into them correctly.

After confirming all of your data is there in the secondary HD Data partition, unplug it during Clean Install Windows 7 to the target HD: Boot the installer, use Custom Install drive options to delete all partitions on the if you don't need them as shown in illustrated steps in the blue link.

Then after Win7 install plug back in the data HD. If you want to keep your data on the secondary HD and link it to Win7 rightclick on each User folder to add it to the related Library - Include a Folder - Windows 7 Forums.

If you want to copy the data into the Win7 OS User folders then open each from the data drive, from Organize tab Select All, then drag the file group to the corresponding Win7 User folder under your User name in the C drive. Make sure you hold the left click until the left-hand Explorer bar finishes unfolding and confirms you're copying to the exact folder wanted.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/236439-clean-64bit-install-new-pc-but-still-access-old-vista32-data.html
Relevancy 38.27%

I had previously moved my user data (my Document etc) to my F: drive. I'm doing a clean install on a new computer build and want to relink the user data and have future document etc go to the F: drive. Any pointers so I don't mess up my data on drive F:. Thanks.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/387110-clean-install-pointing-user-data-another-drive.html
Relevancy 38.27%

Hey everyone, I bought the TP-LINK TL-WN821N Wireless USB Adapter as the built in WLAN module on my computer malfunctioned. Now when i tried to install the drivers provided in the disk, Windows keeps installing it's own drivers. I managed to uninstall Windows drivers and manually pinpoint the correct drivers for the Wireless USB adapter. Now it keeps saying that the data is invalid halfway through the installation of drivers. Please help!

A:Data is invalid while trying to install drivers on TP-LINK TL-WN821N

Hi which drivers you installing ?

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/251819-data-invalid-while-trying-install-drivers-tp-link-tl-wn821n.html
Relevancy 38.27%

I plug data cord into the SATA 2 slot. When I turned on the computer the drive sshowed up that it was only 746.39GB.  Does my mother board model MS-7613 (lona-GL8E) support a 3TB Sata HD. I'm just wanting to use the drive as storage. 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/I-install-a-3TB-Segate-HD-in-my-expansion-slot-Plug-data/td-p/5797527
Relevancy 38.27%

Hi My computer started to overheat and shutdown after a suspicious file download and subsequent sudden Windows Update two months ago I haven't got restore points and I was stupid enough from steal BIOS new Linux Can a data a install? virus to delete the suspicious file so I don't know Can a BIOS virus steal data from a new Linux install? how to identify or track down the virus Windows Update shows NO installed updates at all even though it used to I have the impression that the BIOS might be infected since Linux live-cds also access the overclocked step ghz for each mhz core until they're told Can a BIOS virus steal data from a new Linux install? to use the lowest step After randomly running some tools like Rkill I still had the problems So I thought I might just reformat the drive and move on to another OS But if the BIOS is also infected I'm paranoid about what it can access from the new install I've tried to flash the BIOS from within Windows and from a live-cd using a seemingly unaffected MiniXP WinPE The flash does complete but the log shows that the first dozen blocks were skipped and also some of the last It says that devices weren't found Example it seems that out of blocks were skipped Skipping Block since specified device is not found Block size Block address FFFFC Block attributes Block image offset FC Calling driver to END flash By now I don't have much faith in rescuing the Windows installation If you think you can help me though I'm willing to give it a try The most pressing question is if a BIOS infection can spy on my data traffic from a Linux install and how likely this is Would you feel safe in my situation if I was to reformat the HDD and install Linux - Malwarebytes found nothing from within a Windows boot-to-command-prompt - GMER noticed of altered registry things but then the computer suddenly overheated and shut down - ClamTK found some older encrypted directories and small things I examined but no newer obvious threats Windows Vista -bit without service packs since they couldn't install HP machine with Phoenix bios and HP's Windows-only flashing programs exe Thanks in advance I'm destroyed Do know that I appreciate your activities here

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/501376/can-a-bios-virus-steal-data-from-a-new-linux-install/
Relevancy 38.27%

Im having a heck of a time here. Im trying to install a(USB 1) 'ACOM DATA Single-Format Memory Card Reader'. Ive downloaded the drivers for it from ACOM's web site and follwed the directions. As soon as I plug it in windows detects it, and brings up the add new HW wizard. I tell it to install driver automatically. After it searches for a few It gives an error 'Cannot install hardware-an error occurred during install-the data is invalid'

This is driving me crazy. Ive tried uninstalling all USB devices and let windows re-install it but I end up at the same place. I have other USB devices installed and they work fine.

WinXP Pro w/ SP1

-Jay

Relevancy 38.27%

Hi I have found some amazing tutorials on this website which Changing install user during default folders data achieve ALMOST what I am aiming for but nothing that quite matches what I am trying to achieve I build and then support many computers for my friends and family I have recently started making them feel a bit more quot manufactured quot by using a factory-style recovery option press F at boot to enter recovery uses a hidden recovery partition etc The issue I have though is I often get asked to quot wipe quot someone's computer following a virus malware infestation and yes I do supply AV but that isn't always enough So I use Sysprep to install all additional software drivers etc but the one problem I have is that I like to have and usually always configure PC's to store items like Documents Pictures Music Videos etc on a seperate partition The problem is when I configure this in Sysprep - the settings are lost when the user completes OOBE Ideally I do not want to move the entire quot Users quot directory I just want the libraries to never look at any folders on the C drive only the ones on D D USERNAME Documents etc I want it so that when files quot detect quot where to save it locates the appropriate directory on Changing default user data folders during install the D drive so they dont have to always manually locate the folders The reason I dont want the entire quot Users quot folder on D is that following a restore or it will get messy I would like to either automate this during setup or would happily take a manual approach during Sysprep - as long as it applied these settings to all users as and when they are created I would like the cleanest way to do this ideally without junctions symlinks Thanks in advance to anyone who can assist me

A:Changing default user data folders during install

This may help, or perhaps Kari will have some customized ideas for you:
User Profiles - Create and Move During Windows 7 Installation

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/202167-changing-default-user-data-folders-during-install.html
Relevancy 38.27%

Can i install windows7 on an old hard drive with alot of data and no previous operating system, without deleting or harming that data (many folders of office files, music, pics and so forth)?

A:how do i install windows7 on an old hard drive with alot of data?

Quote: Originally Posted by irons

Can i install windows7 on an old hard drive with alot of data and no previous operating system, without deleting or harming that data (many folders of office files, music, pics and so forth)?

You can't install Windows on the same partition as the data without wiping out the data.

But you could do this:

Shrink the partition containing the data if it isn't full.

That would create "unallocated space".

Then make a new partition from that unallocated space.

Then install Windows to the new partition.

Whether it's practical in your case depends on full the drive is. If it's a 500 GB partition, with only 10 GB free, you couldn't shrink it enough to hold Windows.

But if it's a 500 GB partition with only 200 being used, you could shrink by 300, make a 300 GB new partition, and install to it.

But-----fiddling with partitions has some risk to the data. You are best advised to back the data up to some other drive first.

Best tool for the job is probably Partition Wizard.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/352597-how-do-i-install-windows7-old-hard-drive-alot-data.html
Relevancy 38.27%

Im having a heck of a time here. Im trying to install a(USB 1) 'ACOM DATA Single-Format Memory Card Reader'. Ive downloaded the drivers for it from ACOM's web site and follwed the directions. As soon as I plug it in windows detects it, and brings up the add new HW wizard. I tell it to install driver automatically. After it searches for a few It gives an error 'Cannot install hardware-an error occurred during install-the data is invalid'

This is driving me crazy. Ive tried uninstalling all USB devices and let windows re-install it but I end up at the same place. I have other USB devices installed and they work fine.

WinXP Pro w/ SP1

-Jay

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-install-acom-data-flash-card-reader-usb.236715/
Relevancy 37.84%

were would I get a splitter canle for sata hard drive

A:Install second hard drive need a sata data cable splitter???

Hi, You can't split SATA data signals.  SATA power yes, but data no.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Install-second-hard-drive-need-a-sata-data-cable-splitter/td-p/5647899
Relevancy 37.84%

Recently I had issues with Microsoft Updates please review if necessary to take care of my current issue WindowsUpdate A Error Updating and they were solved However after downloading the two updates that were in trouble my system refuses to acnowledge that SP2 data and install Microsoft to Unable Runtime connectivity.. Access one of the downloads was or is installed properly this is the SP for Microsoft Access Runtime and Data Connectivity which is MB in size This is the additional info displayed for this update Quote Microsoft Office Access Runtime and Data Connectivity Service Pack SP Download size MB You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect Update type Important Service Pack provides the latest updates to Microsoft Office Access Runtime and Microsoft Office System Driver Database Connectivity Components More information Download details Microsoft Office Unable to install SP2 Microsoft Access Runtime and data connectivity.. Access Runtime and Data Connectivity Service Pack SP Help and Support Microsoft Support I am now trying to download and install the update manually see if that works So I tried manual install and that did not work either please see pics enclosed Please help I tried rebooting in selective mode cleanning computer of unused software cleanning files registry etc and nothing has worked One of my services for search indexing Microsoft Outlook keeps disconnecting due to service closed I keep restarting the service but my computer resets the service and closes it could this problem be related to the inability of the Microsoft Access Runtime SP of getting installed Thank you so much Unable to install SP2 Microsoft Access Runtime and data connectivity.. in advance for your help

A:Unable to install SP2 Microsoft Access Runtime and data connectivity..

You have already your thread here WindowsUpdate_00000A97 Error Updating...
As I said in post 15 -reinstall Office

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/98953-unable-install-sp2-microsoft-access-runtime-data-connectivity.html
Relevancy 37.84%

My understanding is the hidden Application Data folder that stores files and settings for the programs that you use on a daily basis is part of the users personal profile. My Documents, My Music, My Photos, My Videos also are part of the users profile.

When a program is installed, XP's Program Files folder is usually the default install folder, where the new program's sub folder is created. The same sub folder is also created in the hidden Application Data folder.

When you uninstall a program, usually the uninstall file will also remove the programs install folder from the Program Files folder. The install folder in the Application Data folder remains behind.

Now my question. Can the folders from uninstalled programs be deleted from the Application Data folder?

I have plenty of hard drive space, I just hate having folders, files, I do not need.

Thanks

A:[SOLVED] Deleting install folders from XP's Application Data folder.

Of course it can. The folder exists only for the purpose of the application (to store data).

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-deleting-install-folders-from-xps-application-data-folder-236903.html
Relevancy 37.84%

Bought used laptop to replace old had clean Clean and Missing After All Files User Restore Data OS Install OS install by vendor with license When starting up the only account was quot owner quot I chose quot rename account quot to my wife's old user name quot Bethie quot Rebooted new machine now shows account quot Bethie quot on the standard Win start button menus When preparing to restore data folders I noticed new machine now had TWO users the quot All User Files Missing After Clean OS Install and Data Restore owner quot folder was still present But since quot Bethie quot is the identity showing on the start menus I presumed that it was using the quot Bethie quot folder tree So I restored all All User Files Missing After Clean OS Install and Data Restore user folders from backup quot Bethie quot to All User Files Missing After Clean OS Install and Data Restore new machine quot Bethie quot Reboot no user files found the folders are all present but in newly created user form with no restored data However when opening quot Computer quot and quot C quot and quot Users Bethie quot folders the hard drive shows all the restored data files What do I change about either login or accounts so that when I log in and the start menu shows the correct user quot Bethie quot --that it will find all the restored data files that are under the hard drive folder quot Bethie quot I have done win support in the past can do regedit or work in the hard drive folder system to drag drop folders into new top folders etc Thanks for any help

A:All User Files Missing After Clean OS Install and Data Restore

I think you should have created a new user, and not have changed an existing user.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/397569-all-user-files-missing-after-clean-os-install-data-restore.html