Windows Support Forum

External hard drive stopped working, only shows up as Local Disk -- won't open

Q: External hard drive stopped working, only shows up as Local Disk -- won't open

Alright I have a whole bunch of my music and videos on my external hard drive and I got a new Dell XPS yesterday I had been using my external hard drive just fine for the past - yeas now with different laptops working fine I plugged it yesterday to transfer all my music to my new computer and it seemed to be working fine There was an error as the copy rate External Local -- won't open Disk as only working, shows drive hard stopped up slowwed so I decided to delete and try again I did that about times and then decided to just copy the music album by album Eventually I don External hard drive stopped working, only shows up as Local Disk -- won't open t know how it ended up happening instead of the Hard Drive coming up as Seagate on the My Computer Tab it started showing up as Local Disk J on my Dell and Local Disk E on my laptop now It doesn t matter where I plug it in Not only that it won t open when I try to open it It will get loaded and then just pause and stop responding I m completely lost My hard drive is Seagate GB nbsp

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: External hard drive stopped working, only shows up as Local Disk -- won't open

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: External hard drive stopped working, only shows up as Local Disk -- won't open

Hi, first I would run the Seagate diagnostics to check the hard drive is still healthy following this guide.

Identify the make of your hard drive and then use one of the links below to get the manufacturers diagnostic for ISO CD. Burn the image file to a CD, boot the PC with the disc in the drive and run the diagnostics. You first need to set the CD drive to 1st in the boot order in the Bios setup.

If you do not have an image burner use this free software to make the CD.

http://www.isoimageburner.com/

ExcelStor: http://www.excelstor.com/eng/support.php?sub_id=3

Hitachi/IBM: http://www.hitachigst.com/support/downloads/

Samsung: http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/support/downloads/support_in_es.html

Seagate, Maxtor & Quantum:http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads

Western Digital:http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?lang=en

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Toshiba Fujitsu: http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=SoftwareUtilities#diagnostic

If you have a Toshiba hard drive I would suggest the use of the diagnostics from the Seagate link as this will work on all makes of drive and on any OS.Click to expand...

It sounds likely that the circuitry in the drive enclosure is failing (or the drive), if the test won't run then remove the drive from the enclosure and purchase a USB Hard Drive adapter, or use the internal connections in a desktop PC to connect the drive. This should allow you to run the test and/or extract all the files.

If the test runs ok with the drive connected to another PC internally, or with a USB adapter then you will know for sure that it is the enclosure that has failed.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-stopped-working-only-shows-up-as-local-disk-wont-open.169973/
Relevancy 80.6%

Hi I am not sure whether I should be posting this in the Windows forum or the PC Hardware because it involves both I have an external GB Transcend Drive with a lot of important data Recently I unplugged it from my PC and took to another to get some files One the other machine Vista it didn't show up as far as I can remember thought that was strange so i brought it back to my Laptop Win Dual Boot Disk" doesn't Hard Win "Local and In in / 7 as Drive External work Works Ubuntu Shows with Ubuntu and it only showed as Local Disk I have tried to find useful information on the net but some is very vague and some is outright stupid and irrelevant The fact is that the HDD is not broken When in Ubuntu I can view the contents fine and everything is there no freeze ups or anything but External Hard Drive Works In Ubuntu / Shows as "Local Disk" in Win 7 and doesn't work in windows the drive shows up as External Hard Drive Works In Ubuntu / Shows as "Local Disk" in Win 7 and doesn't work Local Disk I don't think it is a drive letter conflict The Device shows up fine in the Device Manager I'm sure some of you have solved this problem as it seems many on the Internet have If so please tell me in a few steps how you resolved it I am External Hard Drive Works In Ubuntu / Shows as "Local Disk" in Win 7 and doesn't work not formatting as I do not deem this necessary since I can access my data fine in Ubuntu Kind Regards

A:External Hard Drive Works In Ubuntu / Shows as "Local Disk" in Win 7 and doesn't work

I suggest that while in Ubuntu you move the files to local HDD, then reformat external HDD, then copy the files back.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/external-hard-drive-works-in-ubuntu-shows-as-local-disk-in-win-7-and-doesnt-work-500728.html
Relevancy 98.47%

yesterday when i plug my external hard drive, it was located in the local disk part and not in the removable devices. how can i change it back to removable?

A:External hard drive is shown as local disk

What type of Hard Drive is it? Make, and Model.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/external-hard-drive-is-shown-as-local-disk-701686.html
Relevancy 98.04%

I have a Samsung s2 1tb external hard drive.

Today when I hooked it up to my laptop it would not load. It will shows local F drive when it usually will say samsung Drive.

A pop up box will then appear stating "you need to format drive"

I know if I reformat it I will lose all my data which I will not do.

When I look in device manager it states that the external hard drive is installed.

I attempted to go through start menu and type cmd then F: and it states "The volume does not recognize this system file. Please make sure all required system drivers are loaded and the volume is not corrupted."

PLEASE HELP I DONT WANT TO LOSE ALL MY FILES

A:Samsung s2 external hard drive not loading showing local disk F drive

With the external drive connected, Go to Disk Management (Start > type: "computer" > click on Computer Management > click on Disk Management)

Determine which disk is the external drive.
If the external drive shows here as a healthy volume, Right click on the large box to the right of the "Disk 1" / "Disk 2" lable and choose: Change Drive Letter and Path.

If there is nothing but a grey box or "Unallocated Space" next to the disk number then Right click on the disk number (the box) and choose: Change Drive Letter and Path.

Change the drive letter to anything else > OK.

If you can't do any of the above post back. If you can post a screen shot of the Disk Management window that can help.
Do not initialize the disk or format it or you will lose your data.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/209492-samsung-s2-external-hard-drive-not-loading-showing-local-disk-f-drive.html
Relevancy 97.61%

When I plug in my WD quot My Passport quot TB hard drive Disk, Drive External opening appearing Local Hard as not I can hear that a device has been connected but when I open explorer the name's been changed to Local Disk E and I can't perform External Hard Drive appearing as Local Disk, not opening ANY operation on it like open it check properties or scan with an antivirus I can't even eject it Also the laptop slows down considerably and internet becomes too slow to open any page I tried running quot chkdsk quot and the data recovery software quot PhotoRec quot on it but it just keeps scanning for hardware and even after leaving it for hours it got nowhere I tried opening quot Disk Management quot but even that keeps loading forever A few times after the problem started it told me to format the drive to be able to use it but now even that message doesn't come and I'm not even able to format the drive though I prefer getting all my data back but it's better than spoiling the HDD The drive is physically fine as I kept it very carefully and I can hear the smooth rotation of the disk plus there are no 'clicking' sounds coming out of it

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/381367-external-hard-drive-appearing-local-disk-not-opening.html
Relevancy 95.03%

Hello I'm stuck on something that I just do not understand I cannot get my external hard drives to give me write permissions over my local network in some directions I recently replaced our hard drives with SSDs and with the reinstall I had some difficulty getting the permissions on my external hard drives working correctly I did several Google searches and read a procedure that I needed to go through adding a user called quot Everyone quot to each of my drives that I wanted to access and share I did this and gave quot Everyone quot full read write permissions and also went into advanced options Permissions Not Local External Computers Hard Working Drive Across or wherever it is and chose the checkbox to give all External Hard Drive Permissions Not Working Across Local Computers child files and folders these same permissions It took ages but eventually it External Hard Drive Permissions Not Working Across Local Computers all seemed OK I had one folder which could not be corrected this way and ended up having go change each file individually Total pain Anyway I thought I was all set but if I try to move a file from Machine A to Machine B the drives are attached to B I get an error that I don't have permission to do this No overrides or Admin permissions are an option and when I check the specifics it is correctly shared with not only Everyone but this machine as well so it attempted to fix the permissions itself at some point However if I go to Machine B and grab the files from Machine A over the network I can drag them to the correct location without problem I want to understand why this is happening and what I need to do to fix it Clearly something isn't correct in the permissions somewhere but I cannot understand what or why Any help troubleshooting this would be so so wonderful and very much appreciated I love to learn as I do this and would really appreciate understanding what went wrong Thanks so much PS Both machines are Win Pro and are connected to the same local network Homegroup and workgroup

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/45610-external-hard-drive-permissions-not-working-across-local-computers.html
Relevancy 94.6%

Hi,

I have an external hard drive that has stopped working......

The hard drive is a laptop hard drive that has a small attachment on it so I can plug a usb in to it, this small attachment has a light on, green usually means it's working normally.....

When I plug the hard drive in to the USB, the stays constant amber and i can hear the drive spinning, the drive spins for around 10 seconds then stops then does the same again, after a few attempts at this the drive then doesn't spin at all and the light stays constant green but the drive isn't showing on the laptop.

Any suggestions?

Many Thanks

Andrew

A:External Hard Drive Stopped Working.....

Test on another PC. If it's not recognized on both PC's, I'd suspect a faulty HDD or the cable/adapter.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-stopped-working.1016290/
Relevancy 94.6%

I am in quite a situation. I have a Toshiba external hard drive that I bought a couple years ago, but had hardly used until the last couple months. Well today it suddenly stopped working and I have tons of important stuff on it. Is there any way possible I can retrieve all of the stuff on it? I usually use it with my Gateway Laptop that runs Windows XP Home and have never had trouble with it before. I hope someone can help me at least get the stuff off of it.

Relevancy 94.6%

Ok ive read all the previous threads in many places This is a description of my problem I just got setup my external hard drive I put much stuff on my drive and then disconnected it Later today I did connect it it made the usb connected sound i checked my stopped Hard External working. drive device manager and it says my USB device under Disk Drives It External Hard drive stopped working. does NOT show up under my computer I External Hard drive stopped working. have already uninstalled the driver and reinstalled it by A manually hitting reinstall and B restarting my computer with the driver uninstalled STILL nothing It does NOT show up under disk management under computer management under admin tools It has had the same problem in every other computer i have connected it to I cannot reformat because it does not detect correctly In Device manager it says the device is working properly help i just got this drive today and would really like all the stuff i backed up nbsp

A:External Hard drive stopped working.

Take the hard drive out of the encloosure and connect it directly to the (S)ATA interface in your computer.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-stopped-working.59243/
Relevancy 94.17%

My iOmega TB External hard drive stopped working after it was accidentally unplugged I googled the problem amp found the exact thread here for my problem When plugged in instead of being identified by it s name as before it s listed as Local disc F First I tried disabling write caching to no avail so I followed HDD disk shows as it local & F cannot be accessed External the instructions I found here to External HDD shows as local disk F & it cannot be accessed the same problem started by fish in Aug Mark replied several times giving good instructions which I have followed but my problem isn t solved I downloaded Sea Tools for Windows amp ran both Short amp Long tests which both failed The hard drive when dismantled is a Seagate Barracuda TB amp my PC is Windows Vista Home Basic Service Pk The HDD has much loved photo s of my kids amp tons of video amp music too is there any way to retrieve it now or is it a hopeless case Any help would be very much appreciated I think maybe if possible to get any data now I would have to take it to proffessionals but don t want to get ripped off if the drive is totally broken Thanx so much if u can help all nbsp

A:External HDD shows as local disk F & it cannot be accessed

You could try going into disk management and deleting F: drive, while the External HDD is unplugged, then try reconnecting - OS might have just assigned the drive incorrectly?
Also strongly recommend updating to SP2 if possible (probably not connected to this issue though).
Hope this helps.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hdd-shows-as-local-disk-f-it-cannot-be-accessed.186348/
Relevancy 93.31%

hi all!

im awful at computer stuff and my hard drive has just stopped being recognized. my computer is saying it needs to be formatted. i have had it since Jan and it has EVERY picture, piece of uni work and also music on it.

Im desperate to try and fix it!

Please someone help!

Sarah

A:IOMEGA external hard drive has just stopped working

Have you tried the drive in another computer?
Do you have any other external drives or USB devices and do they work ok?
What OS are you running?

I would definitely recommend taking the drive to a shop or tech to have a look, if you aren't familiar with data recovery.

The problem could be a corrupt partition table, or other data related - not physical, problem. A reformat will "fix" your drive, but you will lose data. In situations like these, taking the drive to an experienced person will be the best option to avoid making matters "worse", and as a worse case scenario, data recovery software should get your most if not all of your data back.

Most likely, the integrity of the drive has been affected, but the drive itself still holds the data.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/iomega-external-hard-drive-has-just-stopped-working.1002570/
Relevancy 93.31%

Hey everyone I ve officially got THE worst luck with technology EVER Today my Western Digital GB External HDD has stopped working One minute it s working fine - the next its completely unresponsive I deleted suddenly External hard working drive stopped a music folder off the hard drive that wouldnt play and I dont know if that s been the cause of it to become External hard drive suddenly stopped working unstable When I plug it in via USB I can feel the disk spinning inside and loading but the windows sound does not play About - minutes later I get the sound but it does not appear under Hard Disk Drives on My Computer When I External hard drive suddenly stopped working try to go into device manager it crashes windows explorer After a couple of attempts the name is now quot Local Disk I and not even Elements After about - minutes of being plugged in the drive clicks and won t do anything else I REALLY need some of the work off the hard drive - It s External hard drive suddenly stopped working so important to my second year at university Any help you can give me I will be eternally grateful Call me a but I usually back up my work via dropbox anyway but theres some bits I didnt back up yet and it s so important I get them I ve looked at getting a universal drive adaptor but i ve heard about data recovery software but there seem to be so many out there - If my hard drive isnt completely screwed could someone reccomend me one or give me some advice Thanks in advance nbsp

A:External hard drive suddenly stopped working

have you tried unplugging the drive power adapter for a minute and plugging it back in?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-suddenly-stopped-working.178166/
Relevancy 93.31%

Hi everyone was hoping I could get some help here I m External stopped with Drive working has Hard windows a pretty advanced user so I External Hard Drive has stopped working with windows ve already done the usual troubleshooting and everything but my problem persists I have a TB external Hard drive that I ve been using for like months I ve never had any problems with it until now It suddenly decided to stop working on windows I ve tried it on around different windows PCs and laptops ranging from XP to windows and it doesnt work on any of them It does however work perfectly well on Ubuntu This has led me to believe that there is either a windows-specific virus on it or something I have opened it up and connect it via SATA cable as well so its not the casing When the hard drive is plugged in the light is on and a new drive Local Disk E shows but it should be called Touro and I can t do anything with the drive if I click on it windows explorer freezes When I open Disk Management it sticks on quot Connecting to Virtual Disk quot something but never ever loads but the second I take the drive out it continues to load and works normally I have scanned the entire drive took a day and found no threats so I am completely stumped Basically I either need someone to tell me the exact problem and a way to fix it without formatting my drive or alternative ways around it Thanks in advance nbsp

A:External Hard Drive has stopped working with windows

What file system does the drive use?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-has-stopped-working-with-windows.194722/
Relevancy 93.31%

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium on a laptop with a Maxtor 320 GB external hard drive that I use for a back up, everything worked fine 2 days ago, this morning when I plug in the external hard drive my computer is telling me that the drive needs to be formatted before I can use it, when I try to open the drive in My Computer it tells me the "file or directory is corrupted or unreadable" I used Restore and that didn't fix anything, I'm a beginner and I'm lost trying to fix this problem, any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated - thanks

Robert

A:maxtor external hard drive stopped working

rolemac, Welcome to SF. Please right click on drive and select properties and then tools select error - checking and tell us what it finds.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/128388-maxtor-external-hard-drive-stopped-working.html
Relevancy 92.45%

Hi
I am using a iomega prestige external hard drive. I have uses this for years with no problem. All of a sudden it as stopped working. It shows up in the listed devices but is inaccessible. It shows up as drive e in the device management. I have assigned another drive letter but with no success. I have removed and reinstalled with no success. It just will not show up in the my computer part. The drive makes no noise and the light does not flash but is receiving power. When I removed the item it did reinstall again no joy. I am now worrying as I have important data on it. My virus scanner also recognises the device and when I run this it finds nothing to scan. Can anyone help?

A:Iomega Prestige external hard drive stopped working

Use the Disk Manager to view the partition - - there should be some info if you click on the device. If not, the partition damaged.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/iomega-prestige-external-hard-drive-stopped-working.190614/
Relevancy 90.3%

Hi guys!! I have an external hard disk where I used to keep all my Important data for backup. A couple of times my PC restarted and now wen I plug the same drive again it does not show. It shows USB mass storage device icon in the taskbar but even wen I go to manage it says device not ready. Is it a prblm with my Hard disk or my PC? I tried opening the case of the HDD bt it ws all gud there!! And also wen I plug it in and Hold it in my hand I think the hard disk does not rotate as it shud. Plz help.

A:External USB hard disk drive not working!!

put the drive to your ear when you connect it/turn it on and post what you hear..

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-usb-hard-disk-drive-not-working.914592/
Relevancy 88.58%

Hey all I recently upgraded from Windows to Windows and I'm loving it EXCEPT for this one problem I'm "Local Hard Disk" External inaccessible, Drive becomes having Immediately after I upgraded my external hard drive WD Ext HDD TB was missing from quot External Hard Drive inaccessible, becomes "Local Disk" My Computer quot I never had any problems with this HDD before I upgraded and the file-system is NTFS The external drive is visible in Disk Management however there is no letter assigned Right clicking on the drive's partitions in Disk Management shows every option grayed out except for quot Delete Volume quot Upon seeing this I attempted to use diskpart to assign a new letter however in diskpart the partition type is listed as quot unknown quot and when I attempt to assign a letter diskpart says quot there is no volume specified quot Listing volumes in diskpart only seems to list the volumes on my internal drive not the external one After reading some articles on similar problems I tried using the program quot MiniTool Partition Wizard quot to assign a new drive letter and it seemed to work The drive showed up in quot My Computer quot with the correct name and letter with all my data intact In Disk Management all the drive options were still grayed out but because I could access my drive I figured the problem was solved However after a short amount of time the drive became inaccessible In quot My Computer quot the drive's name changed from quot cmluepke tb external F quot to quot Local Disk F quot Clicking on quot Local Disk quot results in an error message At this point in time I can use quot MiniTool Partition Wizard quot to assign a new letter but after a variable amount of time - minutes the drive will become unavailable again Other things I have tried in order to solve this problem used many different USB ports plugged the external HDD's power cord directly into the wall rather than into power cord uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers for the HDD and for USB Mass Storage Device in Device Manager checked bios couldn't find options pertaining to the external drive ran chkdsk I have read into similar cases and heard that quot Delete Volume quot should fix the problem however I don't currently have a way to back up this much data I simply don't have space for tb of stuff anywhere else If that is really the only way to fix it I understand I just figured I'd check and make sure there wasn't anything else I could try before I delete and reformat Anyway sorry for the long post Let me know if you need any more information or if you have any ideas of things I could try

A:External Hard Drive inaccessible, becomes "Local Disk"

I had this exact same problem with a 16GB Toshiba thumb-drive a few days ago.
I'd been having heat-related shutdowns, and believe this to be what caused the issue in the first place.
Deleting the volume, then re-creating it allowed me to format and assign a drive-letter.
But yes, I did lose the (non-critical - a recorded TV show) data.
I'm not aware of any other 'fixes'.
Wenda.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/18196-external-hard-drive-inaccessible-becomes-local-disk.html
Relevancy 88.58%

Hello.

I have an external hard drive. I did the check for errors thing from properties>tools. I checked the options "automatically fix file system errors" and "scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors". After some time I thought the scan froze up so I hit cancel and not the disk is unusable. It says "X:\ is not accessible. Access is denied." Same message if I try the error checking option again.

Please help.

A:External hard drive not working after failed disk scan

I think first you need to check for possible drive failure before trying anything else, since if does turn out to be drive failure that's end of story -- new drive required. Download the Diagnostic Software (installable Windows version) from the drive manufacturer's website. The links are here: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-not-working-after-failed-disk-scan.1026713/
Relevancy 87.72%

Couple of hours ago my Windows 7 could not recognize my external USB hard disk (Maxtor Basic). It came up on Disk Management and Device Manager but not on My Computer. However I fixed it (by deleting its line off regedit in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices, plugging out the ext. HD and plugging back in). Windows automatically installed the drivers and I could access the drive.

But now Windows shows my Maxtor as a fixed disk drive, instead of "devices with removable storage". I still have the option to "Safely remove hardware and eject media" from taskbar, however I rather have Windows treating it as a Removable USB Storage so that the disk can sleep when not in use. I am pretty sure it has something to do with regedit, so any help would be appreciated.

A:USB external hard disk shows up as internal fixed disk

Welcome to Windows 7 Support Forums, Sactyr.
A word of caution! Its never a good idea to alter your register,
IMHO please review your device manager and check your devices for your disk drives, check for any warnings in the driver area.
I'm attaching my screenshot for comparison as I have a similar configuration.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/93610-usb-external-hard-disk-shows-up-internal-fixed-disk.html
Relevancy 85.57%

Hello I have a HDD G with partitions NTFS with data used externally in a USB box connected to my windows asus laptop No idea what I do I always use 'eject' before disconnecting this HDD but now I see that with diskpart DISKPART gt list disk Disk Status Size Free Dyn Gpt External disk letter no disk : diskpart shows but drive -------- ------------- ------- ------- --- --- Disk Online GB KB Disk Online GB B Disk Online GB GB DISKPART gt list volume Volume Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status External disk : diskpart shows disk but no drive letter Info ---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- -------- Volume E DVD-ROM B No Media Volume C OS NTFS Partition GB Healthy Boot Volume D Data NTFS Partition GB Healthy Volume External disk : diskpart shows disk but no drive letter SYSTEM FAT Partition MB Healthy System Volume Recovery NTFS Partition MB Healthy Hidden Volume Restore NTFS Partition GB Healthy Hidden so disk is there but no volume no partition no drive letter just a 'bip' sound when I connect the disk to usb port i try with paragon disk manager or aomei partition assistant but can't assign a drive letter option greyed how can I do to get drive letters amp access my datas thanks for help

A:External disk : diskpart shows disk but no drive letter

What does Win8 Disk Management show for that drive? If it shows as "raw" in the list, and it won't let you assign a drive letter, it could be that the drive has failed.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/58220-external-disk-diskpart-shows-disk-but-no-drive-letter.html
Relevancy 84.71%

Hello I brought a bay external harddrive enclosure and have External hard saying drives disk local it hooked up to my laptop I will get a computer one day The issue I have is this Bay and no issues I have external harddrives x tb x tb a nd x tb of these drives I wish to keep in the enclosure and as a spare the tb one The issue is this and sorry if this doesnt make sense I have tried of my harddrive lets name them A B C If I place hdd A or B into bay it shows up as Local Disk and you click on it and nothing happens and then the comp makes the sound as if i had pulled the usb out If I plave A and B into the other bay no External hard drives saying local disk problem they work fine If I place a different hdd into Bay for example hdd C or the spare then it shows up no problem Is there anything I can do as I would love for hdd A and B to work as one of them is the tb one Thank you EDIT - Now when I put hdd A in Bay it wont even appear hdd B still just says local disk If i try to open it it sometimes says not accessible the paramter is incorrect

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/48892-external-hard-drives-saying-local-disk.html
Relevancy 80.84%

I'm not very technology-savvy. I believe I have/had a virus that doesn't/didn't allow me to open my Local Disk by double-clicking. An error would appear saying "Windows cannot find 'resycled/boot.com". Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search."

I looked up my error online and followed the instruction of someone (probably shouldn't have), where I deleted the "boot.com" in my Registry Editor.

However, now, whenever I attempt to open my Local Disk by double-clicking, instead of getting the "Window cannot find...." error, I now get: "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association Folder Options control panel."

I have absolutely no clue what to do. Any help? Please?

A:Cannot open Local Disk drive?

tttony, Try the "Drive Association Fix" at the link below. Instructions are on the page.

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

Tufenuf

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-open-local-disk-drive.791908/
Relevancy 80.41%

I have an external 15gb drive I'm trying to get some old files off of and I only have my laptop so I'm using an external enclosure. I can use it with other drives perfectly but I can't access the volumes from within my OS (Windows) on this drive.

A:External drive shows up in disk management but doesn't moutn a volume

Are you getting any error messages??

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-drive-shows-up-in-disk-management-but-doesnt-moutn-a-volume.762230/
Relevancy 79.98%

I ve connected an external USB drive but when I go to My Computer it shows it as a network drive In addition it gives it the same name as the mapped network drive that already exists there When I change the name of the external drive there it then changes the name of the mapped network drive so again they both have the same name although the drive letters are different Any ideas how to make the external drive appear where it belongs in My Computer under Hard Disk drives I m also seeing some other odd behavior on this computer and since External as up drive hard drive network shows a it may be related I ll mention it When I first opened my Computer it showed the same networked drive repeatedly with every letter from F thru Z I deleted them all except one but now every time I reboot I get a logon connect dialog that asks to reconnect one of them So with each reboot it is adding back one of the duplicate mapped networked drives that I had deleted I expect it will eventually end up with all the alphabet letters like it was when I first sat down at this computer My main concern is to get the external hard drive to appear where it belongs Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 79.98%

hi computerfriends,

I got a problem, my external hard drive (westen digital 1.0TB) isn't popping up my computer. I can see it in devices (USB to ATA/ATAPI bridge) but i can't acces it. What i've done already:Computer Management-> Disk Management. Than ive to initialize the disk, i can choose between MBR and GPT. In both cases i got the error: Data error (cyclic redundancy check). I can't chance any letter
Downloaded different programs but non of them worked

I've to get my files, it's important. I hope some of you know now the sollution.

A:External hard drive shows up in devices but not in my computer

Hello indoow and welcome to Seven Forums. Couple of things to try:

1. Try using a different USB port.

2. Try changing the drive letter.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ndows-7-a.html

3. If you have access to a live Linux CD like Ubuntu you may find that Ubuntu will recognize the external hard drive in Computer.

4. The hard drive may be going bad. You could go to the manufacturer's web site and look for diagnostic tools to check the drive. Or you could use SeaTools for Windows from Seagate (works on non-Seagate drives as well.)

| Seagate

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/210752-external-hard-drive-shows-up-devices-but-not-my-computer.html
Relevancy 79.98%

I m running WinXP sp I ve had my external hd for quite some time not sure what changed but turned it on for but freezes External up Hard drive when accessed in PM shows the first time in awhile and it would quot ding quot like plug and play recognized it but nothing happened I go to Windows Explorer and it freezes I have to turn off the switch to the External Harddrive it s an Ultra to get anything to load Then I try to External Hard drive shows up in PM but freezes when accessed turn it back on and I look at Device Manager I can see it in there but when I right-click on it to see what s going on it freezes Any program that would access the HD freezes when it External Hard drive shows up in PM but freezes when accessed s turned on I External Hard drive shows up in PM but freezes when accessed ve been browsing the net for hours for a fix Here s what I ve tried nothing has worked Changing the jumper settings using tweakui to change drive letters changing usb cables power down and try all over any ideas BTW- my harddrive is not clicking or doing anything out of the ordinary it won t mount in Safe mode either nbsp

A:External Hard drive shows up in PM but freezes when accessed

TweakUI to change drive letters? No wonder you are having trouble. What version of TweakUI?

Drive letter changes need to be made in Disk Management. I don't recall any TweakUI's tha changed drive letters since Win 98 and that program is for a whole different family of operating systems.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-shows-up-in-pm-but-freezes-when-accessed.785498/
Relevancy 79.55%

I am trying to access files on a hard drive from a different computer which will no longer load the OS. I have connected the hard drive using a usb adapter. When I plug it in, I get a notice that the device is ready to use, but it does not show up in Computer.

It is visible in the disk manager. There is no drive letter assigned and the options to do so are grayed out. Most of the options in device manager are grayed out, except for 'delete volume' and 'help'.

A:hard drive w/ usb adapter- drive shows in disk manager, not computer

Welcome to the forum,

Can you post a maximized screenshot of your full disk management window.

Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Seven Forums

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/234307-hard-drive-w-usb-adapter-drive-shows-disk-manager-not-computer.html
Relevancy 79.55%

I have two 1-TB external drives which were working perfectly until 10 min ago. I have already tried uninstalling them from the Device Manager, and restarted the PC but it didn't help. My motherboard is Gigabyte Ultradurable 3. I am out of opinions, so thanks a lot for any helps in advance.

A:External Hard Drives Stopped Working

Does the drive turn on at all? Try using another USB cable and see if that works. If that doesn't work: If you are willing, open the hard drive and try to connect it to the motherboard. Then try to boot into Windows and see if it shows up. If not, try UBCD to boot into hard drive diagnose of the brand of the HDD and do short and long test on the drive.
You can download UBCD from Ultimate Boot CD - Overview if you don't already have a copy.
Best of luck!

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/226558-external-hard-drives-stopped-working.html
Relevancy 79.12%

I have external USB hard drive 'Seagate 500 Gb'
When I transfer data (say Video file) from my Laptop to External Hard drive, it starts coping but it stucks and cannot finish coping.

Check out the attachment for the detail of the error while coping.

Thanx.

A:Copying data to External hard drive shows error

Hi and welcome,

The I/O device error implies a problem with the USB device.

Run a chkdsk /R on the USB device, and then also run this program to check the health status of the drive:

CrystalDiskInfo - Software - Crystal Dew World

Regards,
Golden

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/245826-copying-data-external-hard-drive-shows-error.html
Relevancy 79.12%

My Buffalo external drive shows empty on window 7 pro, no previous signs of malfunction just a little slow before this incident.
when i trying to right click and check properties, after a while windows shows a message saying " data error (Cyclic redundancy check)"
It contains all my family photos for the last years, please if anyone can help me with this issue I will appreciate
thanks

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/381718-help-buffalo-external-hard-drive-shows-empty-windows-7-pro.html
Relevancy 79.12%

Hi, I have a 500gb seagate external hard drive, and already used 240gb space.
It worked fine until yesterday suddenly i could not access the files at all. I checked disk management, and it showed that my external drive became RAW drive.

I tried to do chkdsk that i learned from one of the forum, and then it somehow has fixed the RAW drive back to FAT32. However i still cannot see any of my files.

I opened command prompt, and typed in dir /a
and it said 0 files 0 byets, 4 DIR 288,714, 293, 248 bytes free

How can i bring my files back?? I don't want to lose my files
can someone help me please..urgent

Sorry i am no tech expert, so please help me using an easy explanation =)

A:HELP! External hard drive shows used space but empty folders!

Sounds like the FAT table has got screwed up meaning the OS will not be able to display your files - don't worry, this is quite common and you should be able to recover them on the assumption the drive is not physically damaged (i.e. clunking when seeking).

There are plenty of recovery programs, some free, that work well.

I'll check these out and post back.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/220703-help-external-hard-drive-shows-used-space-but-empty-folders.html
Relevancy 78.69%

i have a problem my laptop says it has two hard drives though it only has one physical one my os hard drive is filled and my local disk has lots og free space can someone help me combine them?

A:Os hard drive and local disk hard drive how can i make them into one?

Quote: Originally Posted by CraziReaper

i have a problem my laptop says it has two hard drives though it only has one physical one my os hard drive is filled and my local disk has lots og free space can someone help me combine them?

First, if at all unsure backup

Parigon disk suite (free trial)

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/190241-os-hard-drive-local-disk-hard-drive-how-can-i-make-them-into-one.html
Relevancy 78.69%

So I have a inch mac mid Its a Mac OS X Lion So I bought this hard disk Samsung gb ST a year or two ago and then did the correct formatting so it could run on the mac This summer I took it off my mac for about a month and now I felt like listening to Wilko s Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and realized it was on the hard disk so I put it back on and now its not showing up It was fine before I tried going in disk utilities and it shows up there so I verified it and although it didn t notify me for any repairments I still clicked on working on stopped Hard disk mac My repair and it didn t help Theres a lot more info there then just that album a whole lot of great movies tv shows and a big library of great music that I was looking forward to get back into as well as a couple programs also plug ins for my My Hard disk stopped working on mac ableton so now I cant open up my projects either So I really don t wanna format it Any help will be greatly appreciated theres a lot of info on this hard disk nbsp

A:My Hard disk stopped working on mac

In Disk Utility, does the disk show a partition? If so, highlight that partition, and then in the bottom left of that window there will be a blue clickable 'link'. Click that.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-hard-disk-stopped-working-on-mac.195829/
Relevancy 78.26%

Ok So I ve got this - gig external maxtor Diamondmax -model L R - GB PATA HDD in data external allow or hold shows computer but won't drive my reformat hard -NO JUMPER DS SLAVE -CS ENABLED -MANUFACTURE DATE APR Ok so the problem is it used to have my entire schoolwork business music files and so forth on it It worked great and as soon as I got all of my information transfered onto it it external hard drive shows in my computer but won't hold data or allow reformat went kaput Ever since then I ve been unable to view any data on it The way it works is it connects via USB and lights up the icon usually not always but usually appears in my computer I can open it but there is nothing there it is just an empty window So even though all my data is there I say whatever I need the storage space so I external hard drive shows in my computer but won't hold data or allow reformat ll just reformat it well it allows me to right click and select reformat but nothing ever loads or happens I have tried copying and pasting files there and none of them actually pastes or transfers I ve searched the forums and tried bringing it up in computer management gt disk management or removable storage but it doesn t show up there Please help me to figure out a way to either A get it working again with the data still intact or B allow me to reformat it so that I can just use the darn thing for storage Really either option would be great amazing excellent I just really could use some help and am willing to try whatever you can recomend but I just need it to work PLEASE HELP ME I am ALL EARS Thanks in advance for a quick reply it means a lot to me Thanks nbsp

A:external hard drive shows in my computer but won't hold data or allow reformat

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-shows-in-my-computer-but-wont-hold-data-or-allow-reformat.578293/
Relevancy 78.26%

I have a Western Digital 250 GB external HD that had been working perfectly until yesterday afternoon. It has been making this repetitive whirring noise *not the clicking noise of death* and it died before I had a chance to copy the data onto another external. When I plug in the USB it makes the connection noise, but autoplay does not come up and it does not show up in my computer anymore. I did look in device manager and disk management and it does show up but it had no drive letter and it says unreadable. (I've attached a screenshot of this)

i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i359/aadickinson88/ss2.jpg
i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i359/aadickinson88/ss1.jpg

Is there any way I can recover the data off of it? Should I just take it out of the enclosure and hook it up to a desktop pc?

A:External hard drive broken shows up in device manager but not My Computer

It sounds like the drive itself is dead rather than the enclosure. The repetitive 'whirring' noise likely is immediately following the click of death, just the click is pretty quiet on a lot of notebook drives. If yours is a full size (3.5") drive in that enclosure, then perhaps you are right and the click of death isn't occurring.

In either case, its not going to hurt to hook it up internally, because even if it doesn't work you aren't any worse off than you are now.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-broken-shows-up-in-device-manager-but-not-my-computer.163770/
Relevancy 78.26%

Have a 1TB Iomega USB3 external hard drive that worked well on both a desktop and laptop Win7/64 system. Now it shows up as unidentified and not initialized using computer/manage/storage/disk management. Disk Management also gives the optiin to initialize it but I declined because I would like to recover the data. The power light comes on and it spins up with both a USB3 or USB2 connections and is identified as an Iomega eGo drive when I use the USB eject function.
Hard Drive Sentinel does not recognize it at all. Any suggestions appreciated.

A:Previously functional USB3 external hard drive shows not initialized

1. Please post a screenshot of Disk Management with your external HDD plugged in. Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image

2. It would indeed be prudent to recover the data before you try anything else on the HDD.

You may try to access the hard drive booting into a live Linux CD/pendrive.

Download Lucid Puppy (Ubuntu-Compatible Build) v5.2.8 ISO from http://puppylinux.org/main/Download%20Latest%20Release.htm

It is light and only 132.6 MB.

Make a Bootable pendrive with Rufus v1.3.2 (442 KB) http://rufus.akeo.ie/

It takes less than 2 minutes to create your bootable live Linux pendrive.

For more guidance on the recovery process directly get into the heading Recovering files from the non-bootable Internal Drive - applicable to recovery from any hard drive - in Lucid Puppy way to recover files from a non-bootable computer

You may also use this tutorial by Golden http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/256518-peppermint3-create-live-cd-dvd-usb-use-emergency-backup.html to create your bootable pendrive with Peppermint3 Linux.

Lucid Puppy or Peppermint3, in either case you can use Rufus to create your bootable pendrive.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/284060-previously-functional-usb3-external-hard-drive-shows-not-initialized.html
Relevancy 78.26%

Hello Everyone Over the last couple days I built a new PC and installed windows Initially I had some issues installing windows so I unplugged all my drives except the SSD and DVD I installed windows to my SSD Everything works great Now I started adding my drives back in at a time When I plugged my nd SSD in it showed up in BIOS but not in Disk Management or Device Manager Disk in but shows 2nd Management BIOS hard not drive So I booted back into the install CD it showed up in the disk manager there Since this was also a blank SSD I partitioned and formated the drive from the install CD then exited the installer and booted back to my windows drive I have SSD drives working great Now to add my TB HDD Same issue it shows up in BIOS and the install disc but not in Disk Management or Device Manager This drive does not have a boot partition on it however it does have two existing data partitions They were made from 2nd hard drive shows in BIOS but not Disk Management my previous windows system and the option to delete these partitions is grayed out in the install disc menu I also have some data that I would like to keep on it I have a USB dock that I can use 2nd hard drive shows in BIOS but not Disk Management to read the contents of the disk just fine Everything is there and in working order Can anyone help me out here 2nd hard drive shows in BIOS but not Disk Management What is different about Windows that is preventing my hard drives from showing up in windows proper I am reading things about UEFI online but nothing seems to fit my exact scenario I will try and post some screen shots when I get back at it System Mobo- Asrock Fatal ty Killer z CPU- i GPU- Gigabyte OC SSDs - Kingston V GB Windows bit Thanks Everyone

A:2nd hard drive shows in BIOS but not Disk Management

Check if your sata drivers are the latest here : ASRock > Fatal1ty Z87 Killer

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/36659-2nd-hard-drive-shows-bios-but-not-disk-management.html
Relevancy 78.26%

What would cause a such a large chunk of the hard drive to not appear in disk management - the capacity is approximately a third of the total drive (see attached)!?

I have used TreeSize and other tools to see if there is anything out of the ordinary, such as over-sized temp folders, pagefile, etc. But nothing but a couple over 19 GB (typical usage) shows (see attached).

Any help/suggestions are appreciated!

A:160 GB hard drive shows capacity of 55 GB in Disk Management

Please see this thread in the forum: 1tb HDD only shows 523gb

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/199780-160-gb-hard-drive-shows-capacity-55-gb-disk-management.html
Relevancy 78.26%

my ssd broke so i went got a new one today i do a fresh install of win 8 but its showing up as removable disk

my pc specs-sabertooth fx990 r2.0 mb

win 8

A:hard drive shows up as removable disk windows 8

why is this being mark as solved i still cant figuer how to fix it??

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/47872-hard-drive-shows-up-removable-disk-windows-8-a.html
Relevancy 78.26%

I plugged my WD quot my passport quot oogb hard drive into USB yesterday drive WD local showing hard USB disk as and it showed up as local disk on my computer with Gb used and Gb available In disk manager it shows up as GB WD harddrive but in RAW format with partition in use I cannot WD USB hard drive showing as local disk carry out disk checkker as windows cannot access hard drive I have tried using minitool data recovery and it shows as no disk recognised please insert disk I carried out testdisk and it could not find WD USB hard drive showing as local disk any WD USB hard drive showing as local disk partitions on it When i plug it into windows i hear the connection beep and the hard drive power light continually flashes the hard drive is spinning as can feel it and no clicking on other noises heard I have tried changing drive name on disk manager made no effect When i try to run CHKDSK through DOS it says system cannot find the file specified Please help as i have all my son pictures from birth to now which is years on it and no other copies of them

A:WD USB hard drive showing as local disk

hopefully these will give some more info of problems

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/275092-wd-usb-hard-drive-showing-local-disk.html
Relevancy 78.26%

I would like to know if there is a way to get Windows XP pro to think that a map network drive is a local hard disk. I'm trying to get my ftp Filezilla server to show a folder from another computer on my network but the software is not compatible with network drives, it really needs to be a local drive to work. Links don't work either.

I've tried the "subst" command in DOS but it only creates another map network drives.

Is there a software be like Deamon Tools (for virtual cd) but for network folder instead of iso file ?

Thank you!

A:Map network drive as local hard disk

Mapping a network drive makes a network share work like a local disk. A network drive is the closest you will get to a Local Disk without putting the other drive in your local pc.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/map-network-drive-as-local-hard-disk.479061/
Relevancy 77.83%

Hey,

Yesterday, I was working with my PC while my 1TB Seagate external hard (http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-FreeAgent-Ultra-Portable-External-STAA1000101/dp/B0045JLPMO) was plugged in via USB. The USB connection was a little bit loose.

Then when I was plugging a USB flash memory in, I noticed that the external hard was disconnected.
I connected it again, but it didn't appear in My Computer.
Here is the state in Disk Management and Device Manager:

After that, I plugged out the "SATA to USB converter" from the hard and connected it directly to SATA cable inside the PC case (like internal HDD), but this time nothing showed up in Disk Management, Device Manager and BIOS. However, it took a long time for the system to boot.

I searched and read lots of threads and tested some other stuff:

(It didn't appear in Minitool Partion Wizad).

I've got a lot of data on this HDD which really matters to me.
Any help is really appreciated.

A:FreeAgent 1TB External Hard stopped working (unknown, not initialized)

Hi there Sedhadi,

If your HDD is failing the manufacturer's tests it is probably dead. IF you need to get your data back look for a reputable data recovery company in the area.
Hope that helps.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/freeagent-1tb-external-hard-stopped-working-unknown-not-initialized.208828/
Relevancy 77.83%

Hey Yesterday I was working with my PC while my TB Seagate external hard http www amazon com Seagate-FreeAgent-Ultra-Portable-External-STAA dp B JLPMO was plugged in via USB The USB connection was a little bit loose Then when I was plugging a USB flash memory in I noticed that the external hard was disconnected I connected it again but it didn t appear Hard 1TB working FreeAgent (unknown, External stopped not initialized) in My Computer Here is the state in Disk Management and Device Manager After that I plugged out the quot SATA to USB converter quot from the hard and connected it directly to SATA cable inside the PC case like internal HDD but this time nothing showed up in Disk Management Device Manager and BIOS However it took a long time for the system to boot I searched and read lots of threads and tested some other stuff It didn t appear in Minitool Partion Wizad I ve got a lot of FreeAgent 1TB External Hard stopped working (unknown, not initialized) data on this HDD which really matters to me Any help is really appreciated nbsp

A:FreeAgent 1TB External Hard stopped working (unknown, not initialized)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/freeagent-1tb-external-hard-stopped-working-unknown-not-initialized.1143093/
Relevancy 77.83%

Yesterday I was working with my PC while my TB Seagate external hard Amazon com Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex TB USB Ultra-Portable External Hard Drive in Black STAA Electronics was plugged in initialized) FreeAgent stopped External not working (unknown, Hard via USB The USB connection was a little bit loose Then when I was plugging a USB flash memory in I noticed that the external hard was disconnected I connected it again but it didn't appear in My Computer Here is the state in Disk Management and Device Manager After that I plugged out the FreeAgent External Hard stopped working (unknown, not initialized) quot SATA to FreeAgent External Hard stopped working (unknown, not initialized) USB converter quot from the hard and connected it directly to SATA cable inside the PC case like internal HDD but this time nothing showed up in Disk Management Device Manager and BIOS However it took a long time for the system to boot I searched and read lots of threads and tested some other stuff It didn't appear in Minitool Partion Wizad I've got a lot of data on this HDD which really matters to me Any help is really appreciated

A:FreeAgent External Hard stopped working (unknown, not initialized)

Here are the screen-shots and images again:

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/361316-freeagent-external-hard-stopped-working-unknown-not-initialized.html
Relevancy 77.4%

My environment: Windows XP Pro SP3

I use an external USB drive (G: drive) to make backups of my computer's folders and files. I am wanting to completely remove an entire backup of all drives (C:, D:, and E on the G: drive that I ran in the past. The problem I have is that when I backed up the C: drive, it included local shared object files several folders deep under C\Documents and Settings\Chris\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\.....

I have tried without success to remove those *.sol files using various file removal tool programs. Does anyone know if it is possible to remove *.sol files on an external hard drive? Thanks.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/deleting-local-shared-object-files-on-external-hard-drive.1075614/
Relevancy 77.4%

A few days ago my computer crashed. After that my external hard quit spinning. What Can I do to make it spin again?

Relevancy 77.4%

Hello ,

External hard disk WD element [1 TB ] is detected .
but not able to open .

The error massage displaced is

H: is not accessible

The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

It do carry important data . Please help

AMol

A:External Hard disk WD Element 1 TB not able to open

Welcome to our forum amolmangrulkar.

I don't know if I can help but lets get another picture.

Please complete this tutorial by Golden (exactly) and post here.

Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/390008-external-hard-disk-wd-element-1-tb-not-able-open.html
Relevancy 76.97%

Hi I have an ageing Dell laptop running Windows XP As it has a fairly small GB internal IDE hard-drive that is pretty full XP all Windows My recognising/working stopped has external with laptop hard-drives my I use a couple of external drives for non-essential stuff like music videos etc A few days ago I switched on one the external drives and nothing happened I usually access my external drives by going into My Computer and clicking on it there but the icon simply didn t appear At first I thought it was a problem with the drive My Windows XP laptop has stopped recognising/working with all my external hard-drives itself but when I tried another drive the same thing happened So far I ve tried mains-powered external drives portable drives and several USB flash-drives and I can t access any of them I have since tested most of my external memory devices on a relative s laptop notebook and they work just fine so it seems to be a problem with the USB ports and or Window XP missing drivers If I go into Device Manager the connected HDDs appear okay and it states that everything is working normally Also I have checked XP s Disc Management program and they show up in there too but as unformatted drives hence why the no-show in My Computer When I plug in a USB flash-drive it does show up in My Computer but when I try to access it I get a message saying the drive isn t formatted But as I have already mentioned I have tested the drives on another computer and they all still work fine Help The funny thing is my wireless mouse that uses a USB dongle is still functioning perfectly as is my digital camera SD card when connected via USB So it seems to be a problem specifically with external HDDs and memory sticks Any expert assistance with this perplexing issue would be greatly appreciated nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-windows-xp-laptop-has-stopped-recognising-working-with-all-my-external-hard-drives.1019977/
Relevancy 76.97%

About a month ago I installed a 40gb slave drive to my PC for storage. It's worked fine until yesterday when my computer suddenly stopped recognising it. I've checked all the connections and they seem fine. Any ideas?

Relevancy 76.54%

Hi,

I have had an Iomega external hard for a year now and it used to work perfectly, until suddenly, my computer (Mac) won't detect it anymore.

When I turn it on, the blue light comes on and I can hear the disk spinning inside, but there is no trace of any external device connected to my mac. I've connected through USB and Firewire with no success. Going to disk utility, only my internal hard drive appears.

It simply just stopped showing up on my computer. Does anybody have any advice to get my hard drive working again?

A:Iomega External Hard Drive stopped being detected

Try a different usb & firewire port physically on your mac & try a different cable. If no dice try it on a different mac or even on a PC, see if the other computer detects it. many times w/ external hard drives the enclosure fails but the drive is ok. worse case scenario the enclosure is bad & you can remove drive to put in another enclosure, or the whole thing could be hosed. try this, post back. thanks!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/iomega-external-hard-drive-stopped-being-detected.192596/
Relevancy 76.54%

Hey there I have been using the same external enclosure for quite a few months now with no problems at all I bought a new hard drive the other day Western Digital SATA GB WD JD connected it to my PC like a normal HDD and formatted it to NTFS using Stopped Hard Enclosure Being Drive Detected External EASEUS Partition Master Professional I have scanned it for bad sectors via Partition Master and ran chkdsk all concluding with no errors I connected the HDD to the enclosure like normal and External Hard Drive Enclosure Stopped Being Detected it worked for a few times Then last night I tried it and it External Hard Drive Enclosure Stopped Being Detected didn t work I was originally plugging it into the USB External Hard Drive Enclosure Stopped Being Detected port located near the power button so I tried using a USB port on the panel round the back which kind of worked It said it had to be formatted so I tried formatting it but an error arose reading quot The request could not be performed because of an i o device error quot I switched the enclosure off waiting a few seconds then back on again The light was still on and it seemed the same appearance-wise but now it s not being detected in any USB ports on my PC The USB connect quot babum quot sound plays but nothing happens It no longer shows up in any partition software and in Computer Also in Device Manager it s listed under Disk Drives as USB Device with its status being quot This device is working properly quot I connected it to a laptop I got my hands on and the sound plays with it not being recognized It runs Windows the same Windows OS version too and when I go into Create and format hard disk partitions located in Control Panel it asks me to initialize the HDD which I try but then the quot The request could not be performed because of an i o device error quot message comes up again I am able to format it and do whatever with it if it s connected directly to the PC internally but the reason I bought the new HDD was for external use I formatted it to FAT whilst it was connected internally to see if the same results occur and they did Other USB devices work in the ports that the external enclosure doesn t This is the same enclosure as the one I m currently using http cgi ebay co uk - -USB- - -External-SATA-Hard-Drive-Case-Enclosure- pt UK Collectables HardDriveEnclosures RL amp hash item eac e ht wt Any help regarding this would be very much appreciated thanks Specs Windows Ultimate bit Intel Core i GHz Corsair Dominator x GB DDR Dual Channel MHz Asus Radeon HD GB Reference Antec nbsp

A:External Hard Drive Enclosure Stopped Being Detected

It's my experience that enclosures are less reliable than the HDs that we put in them ..
Assuming you get a good brand of HD .. (WD Black series are my favorite)

Sounds like you've tried every thing except try the HD in another enclosure.
For this reason .. I always have a spare enclosure.

And Welcome to the TSG Forum

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-enclosure-stopped-being-detected.955317/
Relevancy 76.54%

I ve been trying to fix it for over days now showing stopped External Computer drive My hard in up and I tried lots of things but nothing seems to work so I hope that you can help me System Info If Needed - - Operation System Windows Ultimate SP -Bit - Motherboard Asus Sabertooth P PCI PCI-E x PCI-E x DDR DIMM Audio Gigabit LAN IEEE- - CPU QuadCore Intel Core i - K MHz x - Memory MB DDR - DDR SDRAM - Disk Drive WDC WD EARS- J B GB SATA-II - GPU ATI Radeon HD - USB Ports - USB Ports Problem - My external hard drive stopped showing up in My Computer but it was working fine before Possible Causes - - I think quot And I m NOT Sure quot this happened after I Unplugged it without using quot Safely Remove External hard drive stopped showing up in My Computer Hardware quot I m Totally aware that unplugging it while it s in use could damage it but when I tried to quot Safely Remove It quot it told me quot Windows can t stop your device Because a program is still using it quot and I was in External hard drive stopped showing up in My Computer a hurry so I unplugged it without using quot Safely Remove Hardware quot - Few Days before it stop working it was getting slower and sometimes it hangs External Hard Drive Condition - - it s Samsung S Portable GB - I think I External hard drive stopped showing up in My Computer bought it from about - years ago - It s out of warranty - I m Not using it that much maybe - hours per day and sometimes I don t use it at all for several days weeks - Content all my family pictures amp videos NO backup anywhere else I thought it would be safer here in case any damage happened to my desktop hard drive but i Guess I was wrong - No Physical Damage - When I plug it I hear it spinning and it s light is on - I hear a weird intermittent constant quot Sound quot and it s NOT loud MAYBE It s a quot Clicking quot sound But I m not sure Things I Tried - - I checked All USB Ports and it s all working fine with other devices - It Doesn t show up in quot Disk Management quot So solutions related to quot Disk Management quot Won t work - I Cleaned up and removed old USB storage drivers and replugged it but it didn t work - I connected it to another PC it didn t work there too - I tried Different quot USB Cable quot - I was always checking it with quot BitDefender Total Security quot For Viruses or any kind of infections and it was clean - I tried to check it for errors but as it s not recognized I can t check it - I was Defragmenting it with quot DisKeeper quot from time to time - I tried to use quot Ultimate Boot CD UBCD v quot to recover the data and i used this Guide quot How to Create an Image of a Crashed Hard Drive using the UBCD dd-rescue and P eXplorer quot and when I reached to quot Step - Identifying your Hard Drive quot I couldn t Identify it and I couldn t know it quot Path quot because it wasn t showing up in quot Mount Devices quot window because as I said It s not recognized So What I m Asking For Is - - Is there a way to fix my External Hard Drive and make it work again If Not - Is there a way to make it recognizable so i can recover the data using quot DD-Rescue quot If Not - Is there any other way to recover the data from my External Hard Drive and - I tried to open my External Hard Drive quot case quot but I couldn t and I was afraid to go any farther So i Don t damage it So is there any safe way to open it Thanks nbsp

A:External hard drive stopped showing up in My Computer

"I hear a weird intermittent constant "Sound" and it's NOT loud, MAYBE It's a "Clicking" sound, But I'm not sure."

Maybe a soft click or a sliding sound? The drive should normally do nothing more than hum.

"I connected it to another PC, it didn't work there too."

Dang it didn't past the test here either. When things go wrong in my computers I often try them in another machine. If it works in the second machine then I know it's still working. If it doesn't work in the second machine then I usually consider the device dead. I'd try a third machine if you have that resource.

If the data are that important I'd consult a data recovery specialist.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-stopped-showing-up-in-my-computer.178952/
Relevancy 76.54%

I ve been Showing Up In Hard Computer Drive My Stopped External trying to fix it for External Hard Drive Stopped Showing Up In My Computer over days now and I tried lots of things but nothing seems to work so I hope that you can help me System Info If Needed - - Operation System Windows Ultimate SP -Bit - Motherboard Asus Sabertooth P PCI PCI-E x PCI-E x DDR DIMM Audio Gigabit LAN IEEE- - CPU QuadCore Intel Core i - K MHz x - Memory MB DDR - DDR SDRAM - Disk Drive WDC WD EARS- J B GB SATA-II - GPU ATI Radeon HD - USB Ports - USB Ports Problem - My external hard drive stopped showing up in My Computer but it was working fine before Possible Causes - - I think quot And I m NOT Sure quot this happened after I Unplugged it without using quot Safely Remove Hardware quot I m Totally aware that unplugging it while it s in use could damage it but when I tried to quot Safely Remove It quot it told me quot Windows can t stop your device Because a program is still using it quot and I was in a hurry so I unplugged it without using quot Safely Remove Hardware quot - Few Days before it stop working it was getting slower and sometimes it hangs External Hard Drive Condition - - it s Samsung S Portable GB - I think I bought it from about - years ago - It s out of warranty - I m Not using it that much maybe - hours per day and sometimes I don t use it at all for several days weeks - Content all my family pictures amp videos NO backup anywhere else I thought it would be safer here in case any damage happened to my desktop hard drive but i Guess I was wrong - No Physical Damage - When I plug it I hear it spinning and it s light is on - I hear a weird intermittent constant quot Sound quot and it s NOT loud MAYBE It s a quot Clicking quot sound But I m not sure Things I Tried - - I checked All USB Ports and it s all working fine with other devices - It Doesn t show up in quot Disk Management quot So solutions related to quot Disk Management quot Won t work - I Cleaned up and removed old USB storage drivers and replugged it but it didn t work - I connected it to another PC it didn t work there too - I tried Different quot USB Cable quot - I was always checking it with quot BitDefender Total Security quot For Viruses or any kind of infections and it was clean - I tried to check it for errors but as it s not recognized I can t check it - I was Defragmenting it with quot DisKeeper quot from time to time - I tried to use quot Ultimate Boot CD UBCD v quot to recover the data and i used this Guide quot How to Create an Image of a Crashed Hard Drive using the UBCD dd-rescue and P eXplorer quot and when I reached to quot Step - Identifying your Hard Drive quot I couldn t Identify it and I couldn t know it quot Path quot because it wasn t showing up in quot Mount Devices quot window because as I said It s not recognized So What I m Asking For Is - - Is there a way to fix my External Hard Drive and make it work again If Not - Is there a way to make it recognizable so i can recover the data using quot DD-Rescue quot If Not - Is there any other way to recover the data from my External Hard Drive and - I tried to open my External Hard Drive quot case quot but I couldn t and I was afraid to go any farther So i Don t damage it So is there any safe way to open it Thanks nbsp

A:External Hard Drive Stopped Showing Up In My Computer

Answers to your questions:
1) The only way that MIGHT work is if you buy a new enclosure
2) No
3) no
4) Just break the case open, then you can connect it via SATA, and if that doesn't work it is un-salvageable

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-stopped-showing-up-in-my-computer.1045932/
Relevancy 76.54%

Hi everyone I m on a Lenovo n laptop with explorer the wrong drive shows my disk of on hard amount space Vista Lately I began noticing that the free disk space on my hard explorer shows the wrong amount of disk space on my hard drive drive was filling up so I deleted most of my movies and games Now explorer shows me that I have GB of space free within my GB hard drive and that I ve used GB However I am quite positive that I have NOT used GB of disk space Highlighting all of the files in my C drive and hitting quot properties quot shows that they take up GB I downloaded a program called JDiskReport which shows my disk explorer shows the wrong amount of disk space on my hard drive usage and as I suspected only about gigs of disk space is reported in C Now I ve run chkdsk and done a system defrag I ve gone into the windows disk cleaner utility and deleted most of the temporary files including the hibernation files I cleared all but my most recent system restore point and I also checked my shadowcopy usage in the command line it says shadowcopy is using only about gig I ran ccleaner and have done full scans with windows defender and AVG Anyway I m all out of ideas now and I want to reclaim my GB of hard drive space The GB I m supposedly using was actually around GB before I went through all of the above steps but it still tells me I m using twice as much disk space as I actually am I ve uploaded a picture below Any ideas would be greatly appreciated Thanks Jimmy http img imageshack us my php image mt jpg nbsp

Relevancy 76.54%

To anyone is willing "local A As Hard Disk(g:)" Fat32 A Appeared Recently Drive to help I am running a Dell Dimension for about years with Windows-XP installed for the last - years I have quot removable storage drives quot D E and F and an external hard drive H and of course my home hard drive quot local disk C quot Recently I m not sure exactly when because I just happen to notice it - there is another quot local disk quot listed under my hard drives section of the quot my computer quot window It s called quot Local Disk G it says it s FAT formatted not the format of my main hard drive NTFS It says it has about MB of space of which is used my main hard drive is about gigs When I A Fat32 "local Disk(g:)" Recently Appeared As A Hard Drive open it the first thing inside is A Fat32 "local Disk(g:)" Recently Appeared As A Hard Drive a Dell folder followed by a whole lot of files with random strange names many of which are MDM files some others too like UP MLM MIM etc Can anyone tell me where this hard drive came from what it has to do with Dell and why it appeared now when I ve had my computer for so long And what I should do with it Thank you very much for any insight or help I really appreciate it ---middy new user and close friend of the founder

A:A Fat32 "local Disk(g:)" Recently Appeared As A Hard Drive

That could be either a recovery partition or a diagnostics partition don't mess with it, both should be hidden to the regular os

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/112129/a-fat32-local-diskg-recently-appeared-as-a-hard-drive/
Relevancy 76.11%

Hey everyone My hard External Disk USB working not Hard disk recently stopped working initially due to the USB hard disk wire The wire began to have some problems since it would just turn off the hard disk randomly Then I would have to move it in weird directions in order to make the hard disk work So I plugged USB External Hard Disk not working in my hard disk to get some important data since I would need it and I would later go and buy a USB External Hard Disk not working new wire I plugged it in and within seconds the hard disk turned on and off about four or five times so I took out the wire Now I have a new wire yet the hard disk is not working When I plug it in a install new hardware wizard pops up and says to install the USB Device I am pretty sure it is not the wire s fault since it works with my mobile phone So I was wondering if my hard disk is completely gone or if it is possible to fix it I have tried steps and from http support microsoft com kb en-us However I am not sure if it is pertinent to my problem since it talks about the problem being with a specific USB port and not USB device I am afraid to try step since my mouse is attached with a USB When I plug in the hard disk the light on the hard disk turns on but it does not spin no noise By the way I am using Windows XP Thanks in advance frenzynator nbsp

Relevancy 76.11%

Maxtor 750 gig external drive has suddenly stopped working. Green light is lit, but nothing comes up on *My Computer* or my monitor. Can anyone help ?

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-7/maxtor-750g-external-drive-has-stopped-working-/19583.html
Relevancy 76.11%

Gday I have Hard & Paragon Hard External Disk Suite Manager Drive USB emailed Paragon and am awaiting there reply but you guys seem to know a lot more and try and solve the problem Up to this point I have used either Acronis or Paragon for my backups I prefer Paragon over Acronis mainly because the restore by Paragon is far quicker I have both bootable CD's but in this instance I would like to concentrate on Paragon I downloaded Paragon's Advanced Recovery CD Build Put it in my rom and booted looked at a black screen for minutes Removed it and rebooted it got stuck at the loading of Vista then I got another black screen no hard drive movement Rebooted again this time with the regular Paragon bootable CD It booted into the recovery console Now this is where things go from bad to worse I tried finding my OS after a lengthy period I received an error disk i o fault no operating system found Now disk is my external hard drive where my backups are kept So I rebooted with the CD in went into the recovery console and clicked on quot safe restore quot after playing the waiting game I get a message disk i o fault Took out the Paragon CD put in the Vista one tried a repair but there was no OS to repair So I installed Vista and because I didn't want to have to reinstall all of my programs again yer lazy I know but that's what backup's are for Checked with the fresh install that my two external hard drives had there drivers and were present They were both accounted for in Vista So put back in the Paragon bootable CD got to the recovery console tried a quot normal restore quot and once again got disk i o fault So I tried a quot safe restore quot same error message Back tracked to see if my OS was still there and IT HAD GONE So again I installed Vista checked with the fresh install that my two external hard drives had there drivers and were present They were both accounted for in Vista Put back in the Paragon bootable CD got to the recovery console tried a quot safe restore quot and once again got disk i o fault Back tracked to see if my OS was still there and IT HAD GONE AGAIN So yet again I installed Vista this time I tried copying over the latest backup to a partition that the Paragon recovery console could read Tried again and yup you guessed it lost the OS again this time the error message was disk i o fault Once again I installed Vista this time however I installed the Paragon software initially it wouldn't find my backups but I was like a dog with a bone and eventually got Paragon Paragon Hard Disk Manager Suite & USB External Hard Drive to locate them This time I tried a restore from the Windows environment crossed my fingers my eyes and my legs eventually Paragon said it needed to reboot to continue the operation I rebooted and the recovery looked promising but I could not sit there and watch it waiting for it to fail so I went and watched the TV for a couple of hours I came back to my PC and OMG shock horror EVERYTHING WAS BACK Now for the question I have used the recovery console before and it found my USB external hard drives why this time could it not Footnote I also tried my Acronis bootable CD it loaded then the screen went black I have since done a backup to my external just to make sure it was still viable it worked without a hitch I also did a backup on a partition that is on a different hard drive to my OS just in case I run into this problem again Whether or not it will be read is a whole different story

Relevancy 76.11%

hi there..

my name is Anis...i just bought external hard drive 500gb...but after I formatted it..it's just about 400++ gb can be used..i would like to know..how to use the extra/reserve space for my ext hard disk?by any means, i want to fully use my 500gb space for the external...please help me...thank you...

A:How to fully use the extra hard disk space for external hard drive?

It should have about 465GB, what are you seeing?

You will not have 500GB due to the conversion between binary and decimal for reporting sizes.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-fully-use-the-extra-hard-disk-space-for-external-hard-drive.887632/
Relevancy 76.11%

Hi, I have recently bought a refurbished dell optiplex gx620 with a dvd rw disk drive and everything was fine, but suddenly it wont load anything, cd's, dvd's or games, nothing.

Why is this? do i need to update my drivers? if so how do i do that and is it free?

Please help, so confused! thanks everyone

Relevancy 75.68%

Hi i really hope someone can help I have a Windows Laptop which i bought in January at the same time i bought a WD TB external hard drive to back up Hard 7 Laptop Windows External Stopped Has Finding Drive My My WD all my files onto last laptop broke and i lost everything so decided to keep everything off the laptop itself My Windows 7 Laptop Has Stopped Finding My WD External Hard Drive This has been working fine for me until last week I was using my laptop My Windows 7 Laptop Has Stopped Finding My WD External Hard Drive with the hard drive plugged into the USB port transfering files across when the hard drive suddenly disappeared off my laptop since then when i plug in the external hard drive the laptop doesnt recognise that there is any hardware there I have tried plugging in other USB devices and they work fine so pretty sure it isnt the USB port thats damaged and i have tried searching for new hardware in the control pannel but My Windows 7 Laptop Has Stopped Finding My WD External Hard Drive it doesnt find anything I have also done the right click on my computer and go to manage to change the disk number that have seen suggested on other forums but it doesnt show up on there so cant change anything there The light on the hard drive comes on and starts flashing as soon as i plug the USB into the computer but doesnt show up at all i have tried restarting the laptop and reinstalling the drivers but this hasnt helped at all Couple some please help me figure out what i need to do to sort it out i am getting pretty desperated because all of my files are stuck on it

A:My Windows 7 Laptop Has Stopped Finding My WD External Hard Drive

Try to uninstall & install the wd external driver files.

restart and check it...!

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/234896-my-windows-7-laptop-has-stopped-finding-my-wd-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 75.68%

Seriously need help External hard disk causes hard drive failures amp OS crashes The thread is rather long Only read what you think important Skip the rest We have a serious but mysterious problem We have spent already one week but drawing a blank Two hard drives drive External failures & need causes disk crashes hard OS hard help] [Seriously have been crashed and failed unreadable One [Seriously need help] External hard disk causes hard drive failures & OS crashes computer has hung a few times unexpectedly and had one weird restart no memory dump produced I suspect all the recent problems have to do with the new USB external hard disk Buffalo MiniStation Lite HD-PE [Seriously need help] External hard disk causes hard drive failures & OS crashes U Formatting USB external hard disk Originally I would like to [Seriously need help] External hard disk causes hard drive failures & OS crashes use the program given by Buffalo to format the external drive once but we failed We simply used Windows to reformat the drive into NTFS I did not use the TurboSpeed advertised by Buffalo or run its free program Case A Multi-transfer causes system crashes The first time we met the problem We were trying to help a friend to backup data on an old drive about a few years old We plugged in the Buffalo USB portable hard drive and transferred a whole lot of files to the drive Several cop cut-and-paste operations were active at that time The whole system completely froze up It doesn t respond at all Only a hard restart could help Restarted Tranferred again Several cop cut-and-paste operations were active Hard drive crashed - the beginning of the nightmare Windows restarted Chkdsk was running Saw many lines of messages with quot File segment record XXXXX is unreadable quot quot File segment record XXXXX is unreadable quot quot File segment record XXXXX is unreadable quot Chkdsk run very long time perhaps a hour or so complaining that some couldn t be fixed some okay Initially I thought it was simply because it so happened that the hard drive failed in the middle of transfer But the same nightmare occurred when we tried to plug it into another computer Case B Open folder causes system crashes I plugged in the Buffalo USB external hard disk on a laptop computer I tried to check if transferred files were safe I have no ideas how to check but it looked okay Some files were transferred to and from the external hard drive I made sure only copy-paste operation was active this time Then computer hung for a while and displayed Blue Screen of Death I recorded the message on a piece of paper but it was lost later Restarted I believed chkdsk was automatically run and fixed some errors found not too sure about this I resumed the work I made sure only copy-paste operation was active this time The system hung this time when I double clicked on a folder to see what contents inside Another Blue Screen of Death popped up later KERNEL STACK INPAGE ERROR x xC E xC E x x C Info on this BSOF http support microsoft com default aspx scid kb en-us Q Computer restarted Chkdsk was automatically run Nightmare again quot File segment record XXXXX is unreadable quot quot File segment record XXXXX is unreadable quot quot File segment record XXXXX is unreadable quot Chkdsk attempted to fix the problem but it complained quot not sufficient space quot Then I received STOP C a Unknown Hard Error Oh my gosh What s up I don t believe it so happened AGAIN the hard drive failed when some actions were performed between the hard drive and the USB external hard disk I started to feel something went very wrong Is it virus Case C Scanning for virus causes system crashes Searching on the net didn t find any case which was similar to mine I tried again on a new computer Fresh Windows copy New hard drive less than year old Only a handful of programs were installed I downloaded Avira and did on-demand scan for my internal hard drive first No virus was found Was I safe now I plugged in... Read more

A:[Seriously need help] External hard disk causes hard drive failures & OS crashes

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/seriously-need-help-external-hard-disk-causes-hard-drive-failures-os-crashes.840539/
Relevancy 75.68%

I wonder if anyone can help I am not sure why but I am not able to delete or even open some files on my larger External drive.. I see them ok I tries (security) to give permissions to the whole drive and waited some time and thought I had given new permissions I am still not able to delete files and open some..any help please

A:External Hard disk lost abilty to open files

What happens when you try to open them? What are the file extensions on these files?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/357645-external-hard-disk-lost-abilty-open-files.html
Relevancy 75.68%

Ok When I click in my computer it runs Installshield for Quark Express 5.0
other people use this pc so I dont know how it happened there is shortcut on desktop for quark express any help would be greatly appreciated

A:I have win XPwhen I click on local disk c: [Hard drive] It runs intallshield

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i-have-win-xpwhen-i-click-on-local-disk-c-hard-drive-it-runs-intallshield.281858/
Relevancy 75.25%

Greetings group I have a month old hard drive that failed on my desktop PC taking My Documents with years worth of data I had just moved the folder to the new drive and hadn't gotten a chance to backup yet I'm trying to check Recycle bins on my External hard drives to see if I ever had even a partial Documents folder on one of them Recycle show Hard Hard on Bin(s) Local External Recycle Drives Drive Problem Recycle Bin(s) on External Hard Drives show Local Hard Drive Recycle All of my external hard drives have multiple recycle bins Recycle Bin(s) on External Hard Drives show Local Hard Drive Recycle All of the recycle bins show the same content as my local C Drive on my laptop I am attaching screenshots for your review One shot is of the recycle bins on external drive the other shot is a screenshot of the recycle bins on my C drive on Recycle Bin(s) on External Hard Drives show Local Hard Drive Recycle laptop I'm logged in as Administrator because my normal login cannot access any of these recycle bins And my normal login is in the Admin group Using Windows Explorer as Administrator I'm unable to see the Recycle bins I can see them with my regular login Very odd I'm so desperate for help Any ideas appreciated Thanks for any help

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/42081-recycle-bin-s-external-hard-drives-show-local-hard-drive-recycle.html
Relevancy 75.25%

I've got a HP G70 laptop and all the drives and ports stopped working.
It turns on fine, and I can connect through wifi but the disk drive, USB, Ethernet, ect.
No longer work. A storm came through and I'm sure that's the cause of my
missfortunes. Mostly curious if there is anything I can do besides replace mother board. I've reinstalled
drivers much to no avail

A:Hp G70 ports and disk drive stopped working

When you say "disk drive" do you mean the DVD Drive?

What operating system, please? XP, Vista or Windows 7? Do you know how to find Device Manager? (Right click 'My Computer' and choose 'Manage', etc) Do those devices appear in there?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hp-g70-ports-and-disk-drive-stopped-working.1043561/
Relevancy 75.25%

Hi,
I have a vista computer, a while ago i tried to install some video camera software, which i did, but it said it wasnt compatable with vista, so i uninstalled it. Following that, my disk drive will not recognise when i insert disks, i phoned the pc world helpline and they told me to click/unclick a box, that sorted the problem (something about upper aqnd lower filters if i remember properly.

Yesterday i tried to install a program to allow me to view tv on my laptop (same laptop) and the same thing has happened, but i cant remember how to fix it,

i would be very grateful if anybody could help me fix it,
many thanks

A:disk drive software stopped working

Please follow the directions in the is article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
The fix also applies to Vista even though the article only mentions XP.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/disk-drive-software-stopped-working.781595/
Relevancy 75.25%

Well hello all I am new to the forum here but not to technology so maybe I can help you XP stuttering windows Video explorer Win hard drive local on with open Pro out as well as the reverse My problem is rather strange I have a gb SATA drive connected as an eSATA drive and if I want to watch Win XP Pro Video stuttering on local hard drive with windows explorer open a video file larger file sizes do it more the video playback stutters but get this only if I have an instance of windows explorer running If it stutters a bit and then I close windows explorer the stuttering stops I first noticed this problem back when I did a RAM upgrade I used to watch two quot movies quot one on each monitor and I never had a problem I had a gig of RAM then I upgraded to gigs and slower RAM However while the RAM was of a slower top speed the RAM I had in beofre the upgrade was operating slower than it could have it was DDR clocked to DDR b c of the FSB of a Barton core Well I got used to watching only one quot movie quot at a time but the fact is that the phenomenon is getting worse I have an identical drive well same brand and type anyways hooked up to an identical enclosure attached to the same card and I do not have the same problem In regular IDE I would think this might be a DMA issue but my SATA card has no settings to change By the way these drives are attached to an add on card promise port SATA PCI card I do not have this problem with the onboard SATA either however I do have the occasional stutter while multitasking I have updated my video card drivers but thats about it so far mobo ASUS SATA card Promise SATAII RAID Port PCI card proc athlon XP video card ATI RAdeon PRO MB w Zalman heatsink RAM GB DDR generic brand onboard audio pc power and cooling atx On a related note One of my DVD burners writes much faster than the other one I have had both drives in external enclosures and they burn fine but the IDE setup just doesnt work for burning at a time for some reason I had x going with external and one internal If you could point me in a direction that would be great Thanks nbsp

A:Win XP Pro Video stuttering on local hard drive with windows explorer open

It is very important to note that if I stream a file from my server this phenomenon does not occur.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/win-xp-pro-video-stuttering-on-local-hard-drive-with-windows-explorer-open.708539/
Relevancy 74.82%

The drive was running fine for about 15 mins but since my laptop was on battery and i had steeped away i did not realize that the battery ran out . post that since i have connected it back the laptop does not read the drive. I have tried checking it with my desktop and 2 other laptops but the result is the same. also tried changing the USB Cable but this also has not worked. it does not show up in my disk management tab or under my "my Computer". Please advise.

A:External Hard Drive seagate (freeagent Desk) stopped being recognized

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-seagate-freeagent-desk-stopped-being-recognized.923791/
Relevancy 74.82%

I am using Windows XP.

When i double clicking on any of my hard disk drive C:, D:, then "Open with window" opens automatically and it ask to which programe you want to open this file..However, I can type in the explorer bar (where we type website addresses) like C: or D: drive, then it opens.. When I right click on the hard disk drive, some funny character shows in the menu.

It all happened after i install AVG 7.5 and update virus definition.

Kindly help me what happens to my computer and how to solve it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-disk-drive-cannot-open-show-open-with-window.711920/
Relevancy 74.39%

I installed windows 7, I'm only done phase 2 and I can't even start phase 3 because my disk drive doesn't work. When I load up My Computer I can see the drive, but when I put in a disk it disappears and I get a message:
"Storage Device Connected
A storage device was connected. If this device is a port multiplier, only port 0 of the port multiplier will be active."
From the Intel(R) Matrix Storage Console.
I've checked for driver updates, and reinstalled the driver.
The disk drive is WDC WD3200BEVT -22ZCT0

Please help me Seven Forums you're my only hope.

A:Disk Drive stopped working after installing windows 7

Is your drive actually not working or are you just getting that message?

There was an issue with that message popping up on occasion even though the drive was still working. Here's the fix for it, although there was an April update as well.

Here's teh april update and the older fix:

April Update
Drivers and Downloads

Older Fix (Jan 2009)
http://support.us.dell.com/support/d...&fileid=290228

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/77253-disk-drive-stopped-working-after-installing-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 74.39%

My disk drive stopped working on a BRAND NEW computer after I installed a program. I installed musicmatch 10 but vista kept saying stuff like "This program has been known to cause problems" or something like that, but it's been installed on plenty of XP machines. I though it might have been just another of Vista's stupid setup warnings, but I dont know what's going on.

Has anyone else had a problem similar to this?

A:Help!! Vista disk drive stopped working after installing

Hi and welcome to the forum. I believe that Musicmatch 10 is not vista compatible. Nothing to do with vista but with the makers of MMatch. However I found a work around which may help..let me know if it worked:

-right-click the Musicmatch program shortcut on your desktop and select properties
-go to the compatibility tab
-click the "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" box, and select "Windows 2000" directly underneath
-also make sure that "Run this program as an administrator" under "Privilege Level" is selected
-not sure if it makes a difference, but I also clicked on "Show Settings for All Users" and made the same selections in the box that pops up
-click the musicmatch icon on your desktop (the one you set properties for) when you want to start the program, and when Vista brings up the "This program has known compatibility issues" box, just click "Run program" and Musicmatch should start fine!

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/118935-help-vista-disk-drive-stopped-working-after-installing.html
Relevancy 74.39%

Hi My external hard-drive stopped working yesterday This is what s happening I Solved: before External the you can F: it. hard-drive:...format disk drive in use plug it in as usual then it says quot You need to format the disk in drive F before you can use it Do you want to format it quot I m thinking it s more than likely an issue of having pulled out the usb cable without clicking safely remove Yesterday I actually got it working again briefly by typing quot chkdsk F R quot into command prompt Now when I do that it doesn t work it says quot The type of the file system Solved: External hard-drive:...format the disk in drive F: before you can use it. is NTFS Unable to determine volume version and state CHKDSK aborted quot And when I double click on F drive in my computer it says quot F is not accessible The file or directory is corrupted or unreadable quot Are there any other options besides using some sort of data recovery tool I d rather not do this just because it takes a long time nbsp

A:Solved: External hard-drive:...format the disk in drive F: before you can use it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-external-hard-drive-format-the-disk-in-drive-f-before-you-can-use-it.1052654/
Relevancy 73.96%

I currently have two external hard disk drives I am having major problems with One is a SeaGate Free Agent and the other a Hitachi which seems actually to be a Western Digital internally Both of them have recently stopped working When I say stopped working I plug them into the USB port and both of them spin and light up but they continue to spin and never mount or connect properly I can see the Hitachi is making some connection when I look in syslog but I don t know what to make of it I have attached segments of the syslog where the Hitachi was plugged in and then removed However nothing to report from the syslog when the SeaGate was plugged in or removed The Hitachi was plugged in at about secs and unplugged at secs I plugged it in again at secs and unplugged it again at The SeaGate is under warranty but I am concerned about sending it in with the personal data on it I have tried using SeaTools suggested by SeaGate but it does not recognise the drive Are then any other ways I can retrieve the info of this drive or at worst ensure all Drive External help USB Hard Disk data has been removed before sending back for a Warranty Return The Hitachi is not under Warranty but the supplier has offered to External USB Hard Disk Drive help replace it Again I would like to do everything possible to retrieve the data on it or at worst ensure everything is deleted I have also tried plugging both of the drives into my girlfriend s OLD Sony Vaio but it did not recognise either of them as well We did have a problem with an SD card from a camera recently which we thought might have been virus related The problem disappeared after I reformatted the card But both drives have been in and out of both laptops along with the problematic SD card Sorry After leaving the SeaGate connected for around minutes it lit up Didn t connect or mount properly but somewhere it was recognised I have included it s syslog output in the attached file underneath the Hitachi info I am running Ubuntu Lucid -bit on a Dell XPS M Any help is greatly appreciated Many thanks Nick nbsp

Relevancy 73.96%

I'm using Windows xp sp2 and a couple of days ago I tried to copy a wav music track from a cd in my cd drive onto one of my hard drives(not the hard drive with windows on it) it gave a message saying unable to complete due to hardware connection being interrupted
since then the Cd drive and Harddrive I was copying too work only intermittently and for a short time. If you try and copy anything too or from the drive it will start working and then stop.
I think this is a virus problem but aren't completely sure as I've run spyware doctor which found a couple of viruses, but the problem continues despite removing them
thanks. hope someone can help

A:Hard drive and cd drive stopped working after file transfer

I'm not a 100% sure but I'm suspecting you power supply. Anybody else go a thought?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/hard-drive-and-cd-drive-stopped-working-after-file-transfer-498489.html
Relevancy 73.96%

got a new one, and decided to install a new graphics card at the same time. but when I start up the system I get no video. What am I overlooking? im running windows xp home with a e-geforce 6200. Do I need a boot disk?

A:Hard drive stopped working

The thread is 'hard drive stopped working' and the your issue is about not having a display. What exactly is your issue?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-stopped-working.110445/
Relevancy 73.96%

Hey guys My computer is a drive working! Hard stopped barebones system consisting of an AsusP PE Intel P GHz M ram etc Yesterday I decided to put my old hard drive on to retrieve some data from it I Hard drive stopped working! set the jumpers so that it s the slave This is an old Maxtor g drive Put it in the computer relocated the power plug from the existing hard drive old gig maxtor to the gig one and put a free plug on the old drive the existing hard drive was in the slave position on the ATA cable so I just connected the slave drive to the master position on the ATA didn t think it was a big deal Booted it up and the usual whine of the hard drive isn t there BIOS does not detect ANY drives I then remove the gig drive and the restarted the system and same thing Doesn t seem like it s getting power At the same time I had installed a DVD drive and tied up all main power plugs Now what might be happening here I tried different power plugs with the same results hard drive seems dead I haven t tried JUST using the gig drive yet since I ran out of time I checked all cable connections to make sure they were tight Any ideas on what s going on Is there a reset procedure somehow Thanks in advance for your help nbsp

Relevancy 73.53%

I have a 64GB USB3 stick that shows as 'Local Disk' in Computer. I am a bit puzzled. Why would it not show as a removable device like any other good USB stick. That is the only one of my sticks that does that. It is this one:

A:USB stick shows as local disk

Just a thought.
Did you choose the drive letter (M) or did you let Windows pick the drive letter.
Did you wipe the stick; their might be something on the stick from the manufacture.

Crazy thoughts but sometimes I think that way.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/328850-usb-stick-shows-local-disk.html
Relevancy 73.53%

SInce I updated HP Support Assistant I have a small problem.  The EFI boot partition now shows up in This PC as a Local Disk (Z: ). In Disk Management it has no drive letter assigned.  Unlike others on this forum and elsewhere, I did not encounter this after trying to add a printer. Nor does my Z: drive disappear again after reboot.  I would like to get back to the previous situation where this partition is hidden under Windows.    

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/EFI-partition-shows-up-as-local-disk/td-p/5768094
Relevancy 73.53%

Similar questions have been asked before but after reading through four or five of them I wasn t finding an answer to my question So I apologize if you have covered this before All of my work files are saved on a SimpeTech external hard drive I do not have hard copies I have used this external hard drive many many many times on my Dell laptop Inspiron running Windows XP Media Center Edition version All of a sudden I can t open it When I plug it in the computer makes the ding-dong noise it normally makes when it has detected new hardware but the new hardware message is not popping up at the bottom right as usual The drive is not showing up in My Computer It does show up however when I hover over my quot safely remove devices quot icon as quot USB Mass Storage Device quot I used Search external hard drive Cannot open in My Computer for quot mass storage device quot and came back with zero results Reformatting is really not an option as I need the hundreds of files stored on this drive I also have hundreds of pictures I would really like not to lose Here s another piece to the puzzle -- my husband opened something on the laptop a while ago that definitely caused some havoc All of the files and programs on the desktop disappeared They are still accessible from the start menu but no icons show up Cannot open external hard drive on the desktop He thought maybe they were still there but hidden behind the picture he has Cannot open external hard drive set as the background But when I go into Control Panel gt Display I cannot change nor remove the background image on the desktop I was thinking that this problem was also causing the problem with not seeing the external hard drive however I Cannot open external hard drive took it to my parents house plugged it in and it doesn t show up on their PC either that s when I really started panicking I went into the USB drivers and found the device there It said the USB port and the device driver were both functioning properly As this point I have no clue what to do Is there anything I can do to access the drive or at least to recover the files Should I take it to a computer repair geek squad data doctor type place I don t want to pay somebody to look at it if they aren t going to be able to help me anyway Any suggestions would be HUGELY appreciated And please use layman s English I can navigate pretty well around the computer and pick things up quickly but when you get into systems language and programmer speak I am totally lost Thanks EDIT I am going to ask about the vanishing desktop icons in a separate thread but the point of including that info is that I am wondering if the computer had a virus even though we have avast running and if it could have given that virus to my external hard drive and if so can I fix it nbsp

Relevancy 73.53%

Can?t open external hard drive. Can you help?

I don?t know if any one here can answer this, but here goes?

The cover to my external hard drive housing is secured by four Torx? head screws. They are quit small. I have Torx? bits down to T10, but that?s too big.

Can any one tell me what size Torx? bit do I need?

The external drive is a USB 2 Samsung Story 1TB.

Cheers.

A:Canít open external hard drive. Can you help?

I believe hard drives use size 8.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/75461-can-t-open-external-hard-drive-can-you-help.html
Relevancy 73.53%

Hi, about a week ago my disk drive has stopped working, when I go to my device manager it says "Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)".

I tried this solution in notepad:
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
"UpperFilters"=-
"LowerFilters"=-

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4_2K]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdralw2k]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdudf]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UdfReadr]

Saving it as fixcd.reg, saving as all files, and ANSI encoding.

I guess it did work! It just wast quick to show on my system!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-disk-drive-stopped-working-damaged-in-registry.1055087/
Relevancy 73.53%

I just tried cleaning up my hard drive to conserve resources. I have a Seagate external drive to keep regular backups. Problem is that I've uninstalled several useless programs and emptied out most of the needless documents that wasted space. My HD is 111 GB. I've used almost 70 GB. Uninstalling programs didn't help much. Any suggestions?

A:External Hard Drive: Disk Cleanup

My suggestion would be to delete all your system restore points except the last one if you have regular backups on an external HDD.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/199258-external-hard-drive-disk-cleanup.html
Relevancy 73.53%

I ve got a WD My Book external drive which has been working fine for about a year but now the drive does not appear in Windows Explorer Sometimes the drive letter will appear but for no more than a few seconds When it does appear you can browse the folders files on the drive disk drive hard External keeps disappearing very briefly but then Windows Explorer completely closes which seems very weird as External hard disk drive keeps disappearing even if you unplug a drive that you are browsing I would expect WinExplorer to stay open and just flick back to the C drive or to Control Panel Also when the drive is plugged in you get the External hard disk drive keeps disappearing popup near the system tray saying quot this is a USB and would run faster if plugged into a USB port quot but it is plugged into a USB port - The power light on the front flashes at a constant speed rather than the sporadic flashing you normally get when the drive is active - I m running Windows XP - I ve tried plugging the drive into a different machine and same thing happens - I ve tried using a different USB cable to connect it Basically I m pretty sure the data is still on the drive but I need a way of retrieving it Can anyone help please nbsp

A:External hard disk drive keeps disappearing

had similar problem, USB connection on the drive is loose. I pried the metal connections gently back upwards and then it worked,

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-disk-drive-keeps-disappearing.896838/
Relevancy 73.53%

Hi Running on vista I m having problems using my external hard drive When powering up it comes up with two windows suggesting I should run scan disk on the drive Both the windows pop up at on Check Hard Drive External Disk the same time one behind the other Running scan disk from either of these options fails to work properly them seem to interfer with each other When booting the PC with the external HD already turned on a going to it in My Com and using the tools there it gets about way through and seems to stall I can t seem to Check Disk on External Hard Drive run a disk scan on start up for the external drive only for the hard wired in drive Having the disk on in the back ground does seem to interfer with windows operation even without me activly accessing the disk I d rather not scrap the disk as it has a lot of music on which i don t fancy losing With a bit of mucking about I could pull these files off onto the C drive but the external drive Check Disk on External Hard Drive seems to stall when doing this making the operation less than practical Any ideas If someone would walk me through running a disk checker upon start up that would be fantablous I m running vista upgraded from XP does this make any difference nbsp

A:Check Disk on External Hard Drive

Sounds like your drive has a bad sector or two. Let scandisk run; when it stalls it means it is hitting a bad sector, so it will go a lot slower, but when it finally finishes the bad sectors will be marked on the disk eliminating the stalling problem. Once this is complete, copy all of the data off of the drive so that you have a backup in case the drive fails later on down the road. Sometimes the drive will continue to run without any further issues for a long time, but if it starts getting bad sectors soon after, then it's probably on its way out.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/check-disk-on-external-hard-drive.77374/
Relevancy 73.53%

about an external hard disk drive. I don't know which ones are recommended. I have no specific requirements, but it has to have about 500gb - 750 gb of storage. I don't need to bring it everywhere. What brands are recommanded and which ones are NOT recommended? So it's important that it is reliable and won't easily break down. Also what other things should i consider, is there any software included that may be handy?

A:choosing an external hard disk drive

okeee. I had the same query, although I did not utilise Tech Guys, just my own gut feeling. I bought a unit from the local PC shop about 2 years ago.It is Packard Bell 150 gb.I would suggest just buy what takes your fancy.Since that time I have seen the prices drop to a reasonable level were I can now get 1 TB for £100, 500 gb for £50 750 gb £70 these are Freecom- LaCie-Buffalo-Seagate. These are available in the UK, the comapny Inuse has specials when these prices come down again.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/choosing-an-external-hard-disk-drive.766191/
Relevancy 73.53%

I have a Philips External Hard Disk Drive (SPD5420/SPD5430) that recently quit working. I had used it for the majority of the day then all of a sudden the little purple light turned off. I have plugged it into other drives and it still wont work. When plugged into my pc, it says "please insert disk into drive F." I've tried changing the path and that won't work either. Anyone know if i can possibly recover my files from this drive?
Thanks a bunch!

Relevancy 73.53%

i'm using windows xp home.

ihave a WD 1 terrabyte external usb hard drive.

i 'think' it needs checking.

i do the usual tools check now thingy and tick both boxes and agree to having it done on the next reboot.
i reboot and it does bot get checked.
is there a command to make it be checked then and there?
if so what do i type in the box?

windows calls it F:

best
pete

A:Disk checking a big external USB hard drive

Look closely at all the utilities on the Western Digital website... They can be helpful in testing and diagnoses.

Is the WD 1 TB a Green, Blue, or Black... The Green is known as having reliability problems and the Blue is not far behind.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/disk-checking-a-big-external-usb-hard-drive.151021/
Relevancy 73.53%

I have a Seagate HDD of 500 GB. Recently it was on others pc and has got some viruses in it. I deleted some of them but its still in it, I'm also unable to open any folder. As I open a folder, it says "  Windows cannot find 'G:\.Trashes\b0d49151.pif' . Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.  "I have Windows 8 64-bit OS. Can I get all my data back ?Please help.....Mod Edit: Moved to Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum ~~ boopme

A:Virus in external hard disk drive

Hello and welcome to BleepingComputer! 

I am Elle and I will be helping you out with your problem. Firstly, you should know that we are working with specific tools which are used to identify the possible threats present on your system so I will analyze the results they produce. 

As a start we need to have some more up-to-date logs than the ones you have already provided. The current state of the files on your system might have changed so we need to get a clear look on that aspect. DO NOT bring any changes to the system except the ones I tell you to as that may produce more damage than helping us. 

If you will encounter a delay of over 2 days from me, please don't hesitate and private message me (link in the signature). 
Do not forget to check your topic periodically and subscribe to it so that you can receive notifications regarding my replies.

Please generate other DDS logs (download it from here if you haven't already) and post them in your next reply along with other changes that may have occured since you last posted.

Thank you very much for your patience. 

Regards,

Elle

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/503719/virus-in-external-hard-disk-drive/
Relevancy 73.53%

I have a Metal Gear Box hard disk drive (about two years old) which I use with a Mac. I bumped it off the desk by accident and now when I attach it to the computer the external hard drive doesn't show up, the green light goes on but the hard drive doesn't appear on the screen. Help! What do I do?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-disk-drive-disappeared.642016/