Windows Support Forum

[SOLVED] External USB drive shows up in Devices & P

Q: [SOLVED] External USB drive shows up in Devices & P

I bought a hard-drive and had it put in its caddy; when I plug it in it does not show up in Computer but in Devices and Printers. In devices & Printers it is not accessible, only its properties can be viewed, i.e., it is functionally useless - Any idea what's going on?

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: [SOLVED] External USB drive shows up in Devices & P

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: [SOLVED] External USB drive shows up in Devices & P

Hi,

Have a look at this.

Let us know if it helps.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-external-usb-drive-shows-up-in-devices-and-amp-p-997714.html
Relevancy 90.3%

hi there,

I have an iomega portable usb drive. I can plug into any of my windows 7 machines and access the files and store data on it. when I put into my win 8 machine it shows in devices and printers and in my computer shows as removable disk but you cannot open it up.

I have went into device manager and tried to update the usb driver installed but no use at all.

really strange that it shows in devices and printers but I cannot get the files.

the thing is I need to install and transfer some backups onto my win 8 machine so I need it to work desperately.

many thanks

A:external drive shows in devices but cannot access

Update the USB 3.0 driver and chipset drivers from the motherboard manufacturer's site.

Assign it a drive letter with Disk Management, if need be.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/39009-external-drive-shows-devices-but-cannot-access.html
Relevancy 89.01%

hi computerfriends,

I got a problem, my external hard drive (westen digital 1.0TB) isn't popping up my computer. I can see it in devices (USB to ATA/ATAPI bridge) but i can't acces it. What i've done already:Computer Management-> Disk Management. Than ive to initialize the disk, i can choose between MBR and GPT. In both cases i got the error: Data error (cyclic redundancy check). I can't chance any letter
Downloaded different programs but non of them worked

I've to get my files, it's important. I hope some of you know now the sollution.

A:External hard drive shows up in devices but not in my computer

Hello indoow and welcome to Seven Forums. Couple of things to try:

1. Try using a different USB port.

2. Try changing the drive letter.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ndows-7-a.html

3. If you have access to a live Linux CD like Ubuntu you may find that Ubuntu will recognize the external hard drive in Computer.

4. The hard drive may be going bad. You could go to the manufacturer's web site and look for diagnostic tools to check the drive. Or you could use SeaTools for Windows from Seagate (works on non-Seagate drives as well.)

| Seagate

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/210752-external-hard-drive-shows-up-devices-but-not-my-computer.html
Relevancy 74.39%

I just bought and connected a WD 160gb Passport External USB Drive.
I check the Drive's directory. All's normal.

I then installed Portable Apps Suite onto the USB Drive.
Now when I check the directory of the USB Drive, I see the files/folders that are supposed to be there, which fine and dandy.

But I also see two extra things:
1. Recyle Bin
(contents exactly as the one on my desktop. If i empty it, the bin on the USB drive gets emptied. If I delete something on the desktop. The recycle bin on the USB drive shows that too!)
2. System Volume Information

AA: How did these two files get there?
BB: How do I get them off the USB Drive?

Relevancy 68.8%

I recently switched over from a macbook pro (snow leopard) to an hp envy dv6 with windows 8 on it. My Fantom GreenDrive worked fine on the mac, and on another pc before. The new laptop makes a detection noise when I turn it on and plug it in, but it does not show up anywhere but in devices. I can't access my backed up files, it's pretty bad news if I can't get them back. I tried downloading the driver for the fantom drive, but no luck. Anyone know how to fix this?

A:Fantom drive not recognized, but shows up in devices

Go into disk manager and assign it a drive letter.
I had to do this with several external HDD's on my DV7

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/19700-fantom-drive-not-recognized-but-shows-up-devices.html
Relevancy 64.93%

I ve connected an external USB drive but when I go to My Computer it shows it as a network drive In addition it gives it the same name as the mapped network drive that already exists there When I change the name of the external drive there it then changes the name of the mapped network drive so again they both have the same name although the drive letters are different Any ideas how to make the external drive appear where it belongs in My Computer under Hard Disk drives I m also seeing some other odd behavior on this computer and since External as up drive hard drive network shows a it may be related I ll mention it When I first opened my Computer it showed the same networked drive repeatedly with every letter from F thru Z I deleted them all except one but now every time I reboot I get a logon connect dialog that asks to reconnect one of them So with each reboot it is adding back one of the duplicate mapped networked drives that I had deleted I expect it will eventually end up with all the alphabet letters like it was when I first sat down at this computer My main concern is to get the external hard drive to appear where it belongs Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 64.07%

I have a Rosewill RX-DU100 Sata drive dock. Whenever I plug a HD into it on any of my W7 Pc's, it shows up as an internal drive. That's great for me as I use Carbonite and they only backup internal drives. I was wondering why W7 sees it as an internal and I could fool Windows into thinking other drives were internal as well?

A:External drive shows as internal

If you are connecting using the eSATA connection and not a usb that would basically explain it away.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/172453-external-drive-shows-internal.html
Relevancy 64.07%

I just bought and connected a WD 160gb Passport External USB Drive.
I check the Drive's directory. All's normal.

I then installed Portable Apps Suite onto the USB Drive.
Now when I check the directory of the USB Drive, I see the files/folders that are supposed to be there, which fine and dandy.

But I also see two extra things:
1. Recyle Bin
(contents exactly as the one on my desktop. If i empty it, the bin on the USB drive gets emptied. If I delete something on the desktop. The recycle bin on the USB drive shows that too!)
2. System Volume Information

AA: How did these two files get there?
BB: How do I get them off the USB Drive?

A:Recyle Bin|Shows up in External USB Drive

The recycle bin on the desktop is not really on the desktop. You see, when you delete a file it is moved to a (usually) hidden directory on that drive called recycle.bin. The recycle bin on the desktop shows the contents of all the "recycle bins" on all drives.

System Volume Information contains system restore points and probably some other information but I'm not sure what.

Just check "Hide protected system files..." in folder options and you won't see either of them.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/recyle-bin-shows-up-in-external-usb-drive-186763.html
Relevancy 63.64%

Im having a problem with my devices that im connecting not being able to be accessed in my computer Since last month ive been having problems with my itunes totally not recognizing my ipod ever sinced i sync d my iphone to it It is shown on quot My computer quot as Marks Ipod but whenever i open up itunes it shows as no ipod connected When i switch out to my iphone it comes recognized being drive External devices not up and im able to sync normally Ive tried replacing the ipod reloading itunes The problem i think i see is that on my device manager it recognizes my ipod as a mass storage External drive devices not being recognized device but on the iphone it shows quot iphone quot Shortly after i just decided to get another computer so before that i wanted to transfer my music etc to disc and heres the nd problem when i try to copy them to cd the icon on my My Computer for the CD drive is red with a slash going through it Today i bought a gb freeagent drive to save my files before switching computers I plug that into the USB and it reads it but when the prompt comes out saying windows can run the program provided on device open folder to view files or take no action nothing happens when i say to quot run the program quot it just exits Also when i choose open folder it says E is not accessible Im really stuck at this time with no ideas i hope someone can shed some light on this issue Thanks nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-drive-devices-not-being-recognized.134895/
Relevancy 63.64%

HI everyone Ive been using my WD Elements TB for quite a while now but I recently had trouble with it It doesn't show any of the maps I created on it However if I type the name of the map in the address bars it does reach the map I use it to store all my programs games and movies so its quite important Example E It will show that this folder drive is empty E Movies It will show all the movies Its the same with my other folders on that drive I had the same problem with a smaller drive but there wasn't much on that so I just formatted it and it works fine again I can't afford to have all this data wiped so it will take a lot of time backing everything up which I shows while Computer external empty drive not. its also don't have to room for I hope anyone knows a solution for this except formatting the drive Thanks in advance

A:Computer shows external drive empty while its not.

Quote: Originally Posted by Optec

HI everyone,

Ive been using my WD Elements 1.5TB for quite a while now but I recently had trouble with it.
It doesn't show any of the maps I created on it. However if I type the name of the map in the address bars it does reach the map. I use it to store all my programs, games and movies so its quite important.

Example:
E:\ = It will show that this folder (drive) is empty
E:\Movies = It will show all the movies.

Its the same with my other folders on that drive.

I had the same problem with a smaller drive but there wasn't much on that so I just formatted it and it works fine again.
I can't afford to have all this data wiped so it will take a lot of time backing everything up. (which I also don't have to room for)

I hope anyone knows a solution for this except formatting the drive,

Thanks in advance

It sounds like your permissions have been changed. Do the following steps.Click Start Menu
Click My Computer/Computer
Right Click the drive in question
Click Properties
Go to the Security tab

What is listed under Group or user names: ?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/208560-computer-shows-external-drive-empty-while-its-not.html
Relevancy 63.64%

Hi I really need your help and step by step instructions this is a real frustrating situation as i am losing around GB of important data this is how it went with me The problem happenend when i created a factory default backup drive for my new laptop in my TB external hard disk Now the drive has two partitions showing the following Primary GB max 1TB External Drive shows 32GB of available volume capacity and Unallocated space of GB the second one can only be seen by using computer management Only the Primary partition is recognized which means my TB USB Drive is now only GB Is there any way I can re-use the drive without losing my data WITHIN WINDOWS OS and without a third party software I tried to do that through administrative tools disk management partition however it keeps asking me to format the drive 1TB External Drive shows 32GB of volume available before being able to use it are my data still there or did they get LOST i appreciate your help thanks mon

A:1TB External Drive shows 32GB of volume available

Did you check the external drive to make sure windows could see/access and had a drive letter assigned to it before you used it?

If this were my problem; I would go ahead and delete the backup you made (you can make another one), then right click the drive and make sure windows can give it a driver letter. You might have to go through the process of creating a new simple volume, which will give it a drive letter. Once that is done and you can see it in "file explorer" and in "disk management" with a drive letter. Then format the drive and then go ahead and re-create your backup of your laptop and save it to the external HDD.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/1tb-external-drive-shows-32gb-of-volume-available-807474.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Hi! I have a little annoying problem. A previously connected external drive shows up in my windows explorer even though it's not connected. It also takes up a drive letter. I can't eject it, when I try it says: "An error occurred while ejecting (G).

I would like to remove this non existent external drive and free up the drive letter G:. Any ideas?

A:A external drive that is not connected to the computer shows in explor

Do a complete proper Shut Down and Start Up and see if it works for you.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/281877-external-drive-not-connected-computer-shows-explor.html
Relevancy 62.78%

I m running WinXP sp I ve had my external hd for quite some time not sure what changed but turned it on for but freezes External up Hard drive when accessed in PM shows the first time in awhile and it would quot ding quot like plug and play recognized it but nothing happened I go to Windows Explorer and it freezes I have to turn off the switch to the External Harddrive it s an Ultra to get anything to load Then I try to External Hard drive shows up in PM but freezes when accessed turn it back on and I look at Device Manager I can see it in there but when I right-click on it to see what s going on it freezes Any program that would access the HD freezes when it External Hard drive shows up in PM but freezes when accessed s turned on I External Hard drive shows up in PM but freezes when accessed ve been browsing the net for hours for a fix Here s what I ve tried nothing has worked Changing the jumper settings using tweakui to change drive letters changing usb cables power down and try all over any ideas BTW- my harddrive is not clicking or doing anything out of the ordinary it won t mount in Safe mode either nbsp

A:External Hard drive shows up in PM but freezes when accessed

TweakUI to change drive letters? No wonder you are having trouble. What version of TweakUI?

Drive letter changes need to be made in Disk Management. I don't recall any TweakUI's tha changed drive letters since Win 98 and that program is for a whole different family of operating systems.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-shows-up-in-pm-but-freezes-when-accessed.785498/
Relevancy 61.92%

I have external USB hard drive 'Seagate 500 Gb'
When I transfer data (say Video file) from my Laptop to External Hard drive, it starts coping but it stucks and cannot finish coping.

Check out the attachment for the detail of the error while coping.

Thanx.

A:Copying data to External hard drive shows error

Hi and welcome,

The I/O device error implies a problem with the USB device.

Run a chkdsk /R on the USB device, and then also run this program to check the health status of the drive:

CrystalDiskInfo - Software - Crystal Dew World

Regards,
Golden

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/245826-copying-data-external-hard-drive-shows-error.html
Relevancy 61.92%

My Buffalo external drive shows empty on window 7 pro, no previous signs of malfunction just a little slow before this incident.
when i trying to right click and check properties, after a while windows shows a message saying " data error (Cyclic redundancy check)"
It contains all my family photos for the last years, please if anyone can help me with this issue I will appreciate
thanks

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/381718-help-buffalo-external-hard-drive-shows-empty-windows-7-pro.html
Relevancy 61.92%

I was trying out the search facility above the start button to look for a program and was very surprised when up popped a selection of files that are stored on an external hard drive that I use from time to time as a secondary backup. The files shown have not been accessed recently and at the time of the search the external drive was not connected. I regularly use the Secure Clean program to erase information and won't have accessed these files since the last clean.

Can anyone tell me where these details are being stored so that they can be displayed in this way?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-search-shows-files-on-external-drive-not-connected-how-why.804778/
Relevancy 61.92%

My friend had her laptop hard drive replaced by some company 10MB drive Explorer is shows External 60GB empty in and They External 60GB drive is empty and shows 10MB in Explorer did not copy her documents and pictures to her new drive so she asked me if I could do it for her I told her I would slave the drive to my External 60GB drive is empty and shows 10MB in Explorer machine and see if I could read the old drive if so I could probably retrieve the items and save them for External 60GB drive is empty and shows 10MB in Explorer her It is a Gig Hitachi Travelstar Hard Drive I put the hard drive in my external USB case and plugged it in to my Laptop running VISTA SP- I also plugged it in to a Windows XP Pro machine The new drive was detected and I was able to see it in My Computer as quot Local Drive E quot the File System says quot FAT quot and the Disk size shows the capacity as MB Used Space MB - Free Space MB When I open the contents of this drive it is empty In Computer Management Disk Management this is what is visible where Disk is my internal drive and Disk is the Slave Travelstar ---------------------------------------------- Disk Basic GB Online GB Healthy EISA Configuration TI V E C GB NTFS Healthy System Boot Page File Active Crash Dump Primary Partition GB Healthy Partition ---------------------------------------------- Disk Basic GB Online E GB FAT Healthy Active Primary Partition ---------------------------------------------- CD-ROM DVD D No Media When I click on the E Partition it shows in the rectangle box all gray diagonal lines I am trying to understand some things Why is it only showing up as MB in My Computer and GB in Disk Management How can I see the entire drive and retrieve the data Can I make this drive show up as a removable device and be able to read it I am a little confused please and thanks for any help you might be able to provide nbsp

A:External 60GB drive is empty and shows 10MB in Explorer

try this,
Go to my computer and right click on the drive you have set up as slave drive. Go to properties-then security-then click on advanced tab near the bottom of that page-then click on owner tab-then on edit-then choose the owner you want to have access in this case you Administrators mine says (Tman-PC\Administrators) and then click apply. You will have to close all the windows down and reopen them and you should be able to see anything that was hidden or unaccessable on the drive.

Hope t works for you.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-60gb-drive-is-empty-and-shows-10mb-in-explorer.160121/
Relevancy 61.92%

Hi, I have a 500gb seagate external hard drive, and already used 240gb space.
It worked fine until yesterday suddenly i could not access the files at all. I checked disk management, and it showed that my external drive became RAW drive.

I tried to do chkdsk that i learned from one of the forum, and then it somehow has fixed the RAW drive back to FAT32. However i still cannot see any of my files.

I opened command prompt, and typed in dir /a
and it said 0 files 0 byets, 4 DIR 288,714, 293, 248 bytes free

How can i bring my files back?? I don't want to lose my files
can someone help me please..urgent

Sorry i am no tech expert, so please help me using an easy explanation =)

A:HELP! External hard drive shows used space but empty folders!

Sounds like the FAT table has got screwed up meaning the OS will not be able to display your files - don't worry, this is quite common and you should be able to recover them on the assumption the drive is not physically damaged (i.e. clunking when seeking).

There are plenty of recovery programs, some free, that work well.

I'll check these out and post back.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/220703-help-external-hard-drive-shows-used-space-but-empty-folders.html
Relevancy 61.92%

Had Wireless Solved: (Win7) and Printers shows my Devices Access points. no longer the following network fully functional for last years Modem netopia dsl router linksys wrt gs WAP linksys wrt g and WAP Linksys wrt g I was always able to click on Devices and Printers in Win and would see the equipment displayed I could also access the router and wireless access points by typing their address in my browser The modem failed after years I purchase a Solved: Devices and Printers (Win7) no longer shows my Wireless Access points. new Netgear N ADSL Modem Router DGN and replaced the failed modem and attached router I made no changes to either WAP s Everything works just fine after about minutes on phone with Netgear Tech to configure but now none of the equipment displays in Devices and Printers Also I cannot connect to either Solved: Devices and Printers (Win7) no longer shows my Wireless Access points. WAP by typing their address in browser I can see the Netgear device when I click on quot network quot in file manager It displays a model number and is labeled a quot gateway quot I m just curious as to why I am no longer able to quot see quot or access the devices Looks like I would have to actually pull the WAP s and connect to them directly if I needed to change their configurations Any insight would be appreciated nbsp

A:Solved: Devices and Printers (Win7) no longer shows my Wireless Access points.

You said you made no changes to the WAPs, so if you are using a different IP subnet now (e.g., that router's default 192.168.0.x) that would explain why you cannot "see" the devices that do not have addresses in your current network. When I change routers I change the LAN address to be the same as the replaced router's and change the Dhcp server's address range to be the same as the old one. That way I need make no changes to any static IPs on the network (printer, WAP, camera).

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-devices-and-printers-win7-no-longer-shows-my-wireless-access-points.1038218/
Relevancy 61.49%

Ok So I ve got this - gig external maxtor Diamondmax -model L R - GB PATA HDD in data external allow or hold shows computer but won't drive my reformat hard -NO JUMPER DS SLAVE -CS ENABLED -MANUFACTURE DATE APR Ok so the problem is it used to have my entire schoolwork business music files and so forth on it It worked great and as soon as I got all of my information transfered onto it it external hard drive shows in my computer but won't hold data or allow reformat went kaput Ever since then I ve been unable to view any data on it The way it works is it connects via USB and lights up the icon usually not always but usually appears in my computer I can open it but there is nothing there it is just an empty window So even though all my data is there I say whatever I need the storage space so I external hard drive shows in my computer but won't hold data or allow reformat ll just reformat it well it allows me to right click and select reformat but nothing ever loads or happens I have tried copying and pasting files there and none of them actually pastes or transfers I ve searched the forums and tried bringing it up in computer management gt disk management or removable storage but it doesn t show up there Please help me to figure out a way to either A get it working again with the data still intact or B allow me to reformat it so that I can just use the darn thing for storage Really either option would be great amazing excellent I just really could use some help and am willing to try whatever you can recomend but I just need it to work PLEASE HELP ME I am ALL EARS Thanks in advance for a quick reply it means a lot to me Thanks nbsp

A:external hard drive shows in my computer but won't hold data or allow reformat

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-shows-in-my-computer-but-wont-hold-data-or-allow-reformat.578293/
Relevancy 61.49%

I have a Western Digital 250 GB external HD that had been working perfectly until yesterday afternoon. It has been making this repetitive whirring noise *not the clicking noise of death* and it died before I had a chance to copy the data onto another external. When I plug in the USB it makes the connection noise, but autoplay does not come up and it does not show up in my computer anymore. I did look in device manager and disk management and it does show up but it had no drive letter and it says unreadable. (I've attached a screenshot of this)

i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i359/aadickinson88/ss2.jpg
i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i359/aadickinson88/ss1.jpg

Is there any way I can recover the data off of it? Should I just take it out of the enclosure and hook it up to a desktop pc?

A:External hard drive broken shows up in device manager but not My Computer

It sounds like the drive itself is dead rather than the enclosure. The repetitive 'whirring' noise likely is immediately following the click of death, just the click is pretty quiet on a lot of notebook drives. If yours is a full size (3.5") drive in that enclosure, then perhaps you are right and the click of death isn't occurring.

In either case, its not going to hurt to hook it up internally, because even if it doesn't work you aren't any worse off than you are now.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-broken-shows-up-in-device-manager-but-not-my-computer.163770/
Relevancy 61.49%

Hi guys!

Having a little issue with my 1TB samsung M3 eternal HD.

Windows explorer show that there is only 273 GBs free space, however when looking through the folders on the drive I have one folder which is 208GB and then 3 other folders the biggest being 214mb.

Now my maths isnt the best but im sure I should have more that 270GB free!

Anybody help me out here?

A:External Drive shows full, but only small file sizes visable

Welcome to our forum Squidald.

Trying to add up space of folders and compare to free space is a waste of time.
It will never match.
Their are many reason and most I don't know.

Just look at Disk Management and it will show you % of free space.
Complete this tutorial by Golden so other members can have a look.

Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/388508-external-drive-shows-full-but-only-small-file-sizes-visable.html
Relevancy 61.49%

I have an external 15gb drive I'm trying to get some old files off of and I only have my laptop so I'm using an external enclosure. I can use it with other drives perfectly but I can't access the volumes from within my OS (Windows) on this drive.

A:External drive shows up in disk management but doesn't moutn a volume

Are you getting any error messages??

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-drive-shows-up-in-disk-management-but-doesnt-moutn-a-volume.762230/
Relevancy 61.49%

Have a 1TB Iomega USB3 external hard drive that worked well on both a desktop and laptop Win7/64 system. Now it shows up as unidentified and not initialized using computer/manage/storage/disk management. Disk Management also gives the optiin to initialize it but I declined because I would like to recover the data. The power light comes on and it spins up with both a USB3 or USB2 connections and is identified as an Iomega eGo drive when I use the USB eject function.
Hard Drive Sentinel does not recognize it at all. Any suggestions appreciated.

A:Previously functional USB3 external hard drive shows not initialized

1. Please post a screenshot of Disk Management with your external HDD plugged in. Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image

2. It would indeed be prudent to recover the data before you try anything else on the HDD.

You may try to access the hard drive booting into a live Linux CD/pendrive.

Download Lucid Puppy (Ubuntu-Compatible Build) v5.2.8 ISO from http://puppylinux.org/main/Download%20Latest%20Release.htm

It is light and only 132.6 MB.

Make a Bootable pendrive with Rufus v1.3.2 (442 KB) http://rufus.akeo.ie/

It takes less than 2 minutes to create your bootable live Linux pendrive.

For more guidance on the recovery process directly get into the heading Recovering files from the non-bootable Internal Drive - applicable to recovery from any hard drive - in Lucid Puppy way to recover files from a non-bootable computer

You may also use this tutorial by Golden http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/256518-peppermint3-create-live-cd-dvd-usb-use-emergency-backup.html to create your bootable pendrive with Peppermint3 Linux.

Lucid Puppy or Peppermint3, in either case you can use Rufus to create your bootable pendrive.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/284060-previously-functional-usb3-external-hard-drive-shows-not-initialized.html
Relevancy 60.63%

Alright I have a whole bunch of my music and videos on my external hard drive and I got a new Dell XPS yesterday I had been using my external hard drive just fine for the past - yeas now with different laptops working fine I plugged it yesterday to transfer all my music to my new computer and it seemed to be working fine There was an error as the copy rate External Local -- won't open Disk as only working, shows drive hard stopped up slowwed so I decided to delete and try again I did that about times and then decided to just copy the music album by album Eventually I don External hard drive stopped working, only shows up as Local Disk -- won't open t know how it ended up happening instead of the Hard Drive coming up as Seagate on the My Computer Tab it started showing up as Local Disk J on my Dell and Local Disk E on my laptop now It doesn t matter where I plug it in Not only that it won t open when I try to open it It will get loaded and then just pause and stop responding I m completely lost My hard drive is Seagate GB nbsp

A:External hard drive stopped working, only shows up as Local Disk -- won't open

Hi, first I would run the Seagate diagnostics to check the hard drive is still healthy following this guide.

Identify the make of your hard drive and then use one of the links below to get the manufacturers diagnostic for ISO CD. Burn the image file to a CD, boot the PC with the disc in the drive and run the diagnostics. You first need to set the CD drive to 1st in the boot order in the Bios setup.

If you do not have an image burner use this free software to make the CD.

http://www.isoimageburner.com/

ExcelStor: http://www.excelstor.com/eng/support.php?sub_id=3

Hitachi/IBM: http://www.hitachigst.com/support/downloads/

Samsung: http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/support/downloads/support_in_es.html

Seagate, Maxtor & Quantum:http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads

Western Digital:http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?lang=en

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Toshiba Fujitsu: http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=SoftwareUtilities#diagnostic

If you have a Toshiba hard drive I would suggest the use of the diagnostics from the Seagate link as this will work on all makes of drive and on any OS.Click to expand...

It sounds likely that the circuitry in the drive enclosure is failing (or the drive), if the test won't run then remove the drive from the enclosure and purchase a USB Hard Drive adapter, or use the internal connections in a desktop PC to connect the drive. This should allow you to run the test and/or extract all the files.

If the test runs ok with the drive connected to another PC internally, or with a USB adapter then you will know for sure that it is the enclosure that has failed.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-stopped-working-only-shows-up-as-local-disk-wont-open.169973/
Relevancy 59.34%

Hello I have a Windows XP and have recently been having some virus issues I have used Avira AVG Malwarebytes Spybot etc to scan my computer and remove a lot of the corrupted files The problem I am having now is that any external device I plug in to and usb card computer. readers my in memory external devices not are devices showing my computer hard-drives thumb drives iphone ipod and memory cards through any of my external usb devices and memory card readers are not showing devices in my computer. usb and card external usb devices and memory card readers are not showing devices in my computer. reader slots are not being recognized in quot my computer quot The slots do work in the sense that the external hard-drives light up and the disc spins I can charge my iphone and ipod through my usb but my computer does not find them so I cannot access the external hard-drives memory cards or sync iphone and ipod Also I can hook up these same devices to other computers without any issues I have uninstalled and reinstalled all of the usb drivers tried safe mode and multiple other things I ve read from other forums I was also getting the quot windows no disk exception processing error quot that I was unable to resolve by any of the proposed methods such as renaming drives etc I ended up downloading a patch to make this error go away but it just stops the error from popping up it doesn t actually fix the problem I am guessing this might be related to my current problem but it may also be a result of some of the spyware and trojans I have had and what I deleted from my computer to clear up these viruses Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated I really want my computer to be able to read an external hard-drive so I can at least back up the information on my computer Please let me know if you need more information from me in order to help and thank you very much in advance nbsp

A:external usb devices and memory card readers are not showing devices in my computer.

Scan you computer with "Microsoft AutoPlay Repair Wizard". It will scans your computer devices to find defective AutoPlay settings, and attempts to fix those it finds.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c680a7b6-e8fa-45c4-a171-1b389cfacdad&DisplayLang=en

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-usb-devices-and-memory-card-readers-are-not-showing-devices-in-my-computer.822138/
Relevancy 59.34%

I have connected our Acer Aspire 7520 laptop to our Panasonic TX-P50x10B TV using a VGA cable. I managed to set up the external monitor through display in the control panel and clicked the "Extend my Windows desktop to this monitor".

However the external monitor only shows the wallpaper from the laptop - no desktop icons, start menu etc. After a short while the mouse pointer appears on the TV screen and "leaves" the laptop. I guess i choose a wrong option when i changed the settings but i cant correct this.

I have read that unchecking extend my desktop to this display might solve the problem, however this shows a black screen on my external monitor.

Any ideas how do i get the desktop items on the external monitor???

The laptop is running Vista.

Thanks for looking

A:Solved: External Monitor Shows Wallpaper Only

This is by design and normal as the extend feature allows the desktop to span two monitors.

If you want to clone monitors use the Nview control panel applet. On the side menu select “nView Display Settings” then select Clone for the “nView Display Mode".

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-external-monitor-shows-wallpaper-only.889363/
Relevancy 58.91%

After I upgraded from WIN to XP SP and then SP I can Devices Storage External not USB working [SOLVED] t get any of my USB connected flash storage drives to work on my Dell Opitplex GX p PC I have tried my San Disk Cruser Micro GB and my Cruser Mini GB and tried my Western Digital WD Passport external GB hard drive and nothing works [SOLVED] USB External Storage Devices not working These external drives all work on other computers in my home My old Dell Opitplex PC is currently running XP Home SP has four USB ports two are legacy V - and two are new Belkin USB PCI ports All of these ports will recognize both Cruser flash drives as quot new hardware quot and will recognize my WD Passport external GB hard drive but even though I have upgraded to SP the drivers for this devices do not load Under quot My Computer quot Device Manager Properties I can see Universal Bus Serial Controllers but the USB Mass Storage Device does not show up as quot installed quot as it does in one of my other home PCs Gateway XP Pro The Dell Opitplex GX p Device Manager with XP Home does show other entries such as versions of USB Root Hub versions of NEC PCI to USB Host Controller one version of Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller and new hard ware installed successfully this week shows up as Belkin USB High Speed Host Controller amp USB Root Hub Device Have tried to install updated drivers from San Disk and Western Digital that might allow any of these external flash drives to function or the WD external hard drive but no luck getting them work Plug amp Play only goes to the first step New Hardware detected then I get the window to load drivers automatically doesn't work then load from a specific location doesn't work either The same USB ports will show the quot plug and play quot notes and recognize a USB connected Epson scanner and a USB LinkSys Wireless G dongle that also works with no problems This same Dell PC was recently upgraded from WIN SE to XP Home USB devices were not used much before the upgrade Appreciate any help or suggestions Thanks

A:[SOLVED] USB External Storage Devices not working

In bios there should be a setting for usb devices, is that enabled?
When you plug the drive in, does it show up in disk management?
If so you may need to initialize it.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-usb-external-storage-devices-not-working-369092.html
Relevancy 58.91%

I've looked inthe auto-play control panel many times. But there is no option for external devices, such as phones and harddrives. Most of them are just for CD's. But even after setting every option to "Ask me every time", my harddrive still doesn't open the auto-play when I plug it in.

I see there is a place at the bottom of the auto-play control panel that says "Devices" and "Devices that you connect to your comptuer will be listed here." but there isn't anything listed there, even while they are plugged in.

A:[SOLVED] Auto-play for external devices

It is probably because you do not have an autorun.ini in your hard drive.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-auto-play-for-external-devices-601572.html
Relevancy 58.05%

A few months ago my Western Digital USB drive stopped working on my Windows Vista Desktop. It runs Windows Vista Home Edition SP2 32 bit. All of my other USB devices work. The WD drive worked one day and stopped working the next. I did not improperly disconnect it. I have tried it in all of the ports with no luck. The drive is fine because it works on other computers.

In device manager, it is highlighted as not working properly. The error on it says it is not working because windows can't load the driver, code 31. I have tried updating the driver, but it tells me that it can't update because I am already using the most recent driver. I have tried pulling the original driver off the drive itself and from WD's website.

A:Solved: External usb devices no longer working with vista

Try the free USBDeview. No installation required.

It will list all USB devices currently connected to your computer, as well as all USB devices that you previously used. You'll see your WD USB drive in the list. Uninstall it with the program so Windows can redetect the device. You'll see the options by right-clicking on your device in the list.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-external-usb-devices-no-longer-working-with-vista.1144675/
Relevancy 58.05%

So far I have tried reassigning the volume letter in disk management, changing usb port (back and front) ,new usb cables, a non surge protected power source,tweak gui,Wondershare data recovery,Recover my files(still scanning) and a few other things i've lost track off all to no avail.Previously it worked fine its relatively new and unused although i have put about 400gb of files and games on that up until yesterday i hardly ever accessed.Today i found the WD logo gone and replaced by a generic volume icon and cannot explore it(freezes up my computer page etc) although disc management and hardware devices recognise it but cannot say how much free space it has.Any suggestions welcome.Im working with xp pro os.

Relevancy 56.33%

Hello I have a HDD G with partitions NTFS with data used externally in a USB box connected to my windows asus laptop No idea what I do I always use 'eject' before disconnecting this HDD but now I see that with diskpart DISKPART gt list disk Disk Status Size Free Dyn Gpt External disk letter no disk : diskpart shows but drive -------- ------------- ------- ------- --- --- Disk Online GB KB Disk Online GB B Disk Online GB GB DISKPART gt list volume Volume Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status External disk : diskpart shows disk but no drive letter Info ---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- -------- Volume E DVD-ROM B No Media Volume C OS NTFS Partition GB Healthy Boot Volume D Data NTFS Partition GB Healthy Volume External disk : diskpart shows disk but no drive letter SYSTEM FAT Partition MB Healthy System Volume Recovery NTFS Partition MB Healthy Hidden Volume Restore NTFS Partition GB Healthy Hidden so disk is there but no volume no partition no drive letter just a 'bip' sound when I connect the disk to usb port i try with paragon disk manager or aomei partition assistant but can't assign a drive letter option greyed how can I do to get drive letters amp access my datas thanks for help

A:External disk : diskpart shows disk but no drive letter

What does Win8 Disk Management show for that drive? If it shows as "raw" in the list, and it won't let you assign a drive letter, it could be that the drive has failed.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/58220-external-disk-diskpart-shows-disk-but-no-drive-letter.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Hi I am not sure whether I should be posting this in the Windows forum or the PC Hardware because it involves both I have an external GB Transcend Drive with a lot of important data Recently I unplugged it from my PC and took to another to get some files One the other machine Vista it didn't show up as far as I can remember thought that was strange so i brought it back to my Laptop Win Dual Boot Disk" doesn't Hard Win "Local and In in / 7 as Drive External work Works Ubuntu Shows with Ubuntu and it only showed as Local Disk I have tried to find useful information on the net but some is very vague and some is outright stupid and irrelevant The fact is that the HDD is not broken When in Ubuntu I can view the contents fine and everything is there no freeze ups or anything but External Hard Drive Works In Ubuntu / Shows as "Local Disk" in Win 7 and doesn't work in windows the drive shows up as External Hard Drive Works In Ubuntu / Shows as "Local Disk" in Win 7 and doesn't work Local Disk I don't think it is a drive letter conflict The Device shows up fine in the Device Manager I'm sure some of you have solved this problem as it seems many on the Internet have If so please tell me in a few steps how you resolved it I am External Hard Drive Works In Ubuntu / Shows as "Local Disk" in Win 7 and doesn't work not formatting as I do not deem this necessary since I can access my data fine in Ubuntu Kind Regards

A:External Hard Drive Works In Ubuntu / Shows as "Local Disk" in Win 7 and doesn't work

I suggest that while in Ubuntu you move the files to local HDD, then reformat external HDD, then copy the files back.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/external-hard-drive-works-in-ubuntu-shows-as-local-disk-in-win-7-and-doesnt-work-500728.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Win 7
Toshiba Qosmio x500
When i plug in an external pen drive or hdd to any of the USB Ports. a box opens & says 
" Location is not Available, F:/ is Not Accessible, Access is Denied"
I can view its icon in My Comp. but when i double click, error occurs.
This started happening all of a sudden. It was working fine until yesterday.
Plz help.  :'( 
Bobbina....

A:Any External Hard drive shows " Location is not Available, F:/ is Not Accessible, Access is Denied", this Error is shown all USB ports.

Hi Vincent,
Thanks for your input.
My problem has been solved.
1 chap from another forum suggested it may have been a fault with my AntiVirus.
He made me check the client policy for USB Auto On/Off for external drive scanning.
he suggested me some changes, & now all my usb external drives work... :)
Yayyy..!!!
Thanks all of you.
Regards.
Bobbina..x
(P.s.: hope the problem does not pop-up again...)

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/0ca68d31-68ed-4bce-a4c5-3590b49b56a9/any-external-hard-drive-shows-quot-location-is-not-available-f-is-not-accessible-access-is?forum=w7itprosecurity
Relevancy 55.04%

icon fr the external drive (G) is lost while for other more external drives is ok...it happened after i installed a software n created a virtual ddrive on my computer and then unstalled it...help

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-icon-fr-the-external-drive-g-is-lost-while-for-other-more-external-drives-is-ok.645391/
Relevancy 55.04%

I've got a zereoed HDD I want to format but formatting in win10 doesn't seem to be done by any disk handling prog I have found as yet.

I was told to right click on the drive in Explorer and pick format.

But the drive doesn't show in Explorer.

the system sees it alright. Device manager lists all the drives and there it is.

What to do?

A:HDD Shows in Devices But not in Explorer

You need to initialise and format the disc. This can be done in disc manager. Right click on the disc number and choose initialise.

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/61319-hdd-shows-devices-but-not-explorer.html
Relevancy 54.18%

I've had a local disk show up from out of nowhere in Devices and Drives on This PC It is labeled ESP K It shows MB free of MB I have not plugged in any new devices This is a fairly new Dell computer that came with the hard-drive split into OS C GB free of GB and DATA with and "Devices PC" "This ? 'addition' up on Drives" Odd shows D TB free of TB I put most all new personal folder and files onto the latter If I double-click the ESP K drive I get a message that I don't currently have permission to access this folder When clicking Continue to allow permanent access to the folder - that brings up a new message that I've been denied permission to access the folder and need to click the security tab link to gain access I have NOT tried this yet With any other device or drive I can right-click to bring up a menu of options including properties When I right-click this new drive my monitors all flash 'blue' the background images reset and after that File Explorer has simply closed I have a triple monitor setup Running paid versions of Malwarebytes and Avast Scans come up clean Downloaded current versions of TDSSKiller and Spybot Scan come up clean What are the options of what is happening here How do I focus in what it is and the cause Thanks D Blackwell

A:Odd 'addition' shows up with "Devices and Drives" on "This PC" ?

$%@%  This started yestereday, but just since posting the original question, another new entry has appeared in "Devices and Drives"  --  WINRETOOLS (L:)  (429 MB free of 749 MB).

I can double-click this 'drive' and there are a number of folder and files.  One of the folders is labeled "Logs" and holds a number of files like this:
FactorySetup.dll.20150423103443_0.log

A couple of the 'loose' files appear to be Dell files though I haven't messed with any of it.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/575857/odd-addition-shows-up-with-devices-and-drives-on-this-pc/
Relevancy 54.18%

I have been having issues with my new iphone4, and when prompted to trouble shoot by looking for the device in the device manager, none of my devices show in the window. Also, I cannot turn off User Account control to stop the consistent pop ups asking for permission to do anything. Any help you could provide would be appreciated. I am using an ASUS G2 laptop, running windows Vista 32bit.

A:Device Manager shows no devices

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-hardware/device-manager-is-blank/51a16b23-d188-4501-91c0-0a257a643e4b

As for UAC, use this simple utility and set uac to quiet mode: http://www.tweak-uac.com/home/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/442851/device-manager-shows-no-devices/
Relevancy 53.32%

Hi All,

My DVD drive is showing up in My computer as AUDIO CD yet there is nothing loaded in the drive ?

My system is Windows 7 64bit, ASUS Rampage iv extreme and the DVD model is TSST Corp CDDVDW SH-224BB SCSI cdrom device.

It is a real pain to be honest !!!!

Kindest regards

Jumbo 1

Relevancy 53.32%

Hey guys

I got myself an older PC from Compaq, with some sort of pentium processor and so on....

The only thing it needed was a harddrive. Because i had 2, i installed both of them inside my PC.

When i installed a new partition for XP, it could find my 2 harddisks without no problems.

But when i was done installing Xp and all the drivers, i could only see the main drive C:

When im inside the device manager, i can see that it can find both drives with no problems, and it doesnt have any problems with any of them.

So how come i cant see both drives?

BTW: im using Windows XP Professional SP3

A:Solved: Windows Xp only shows 1 drive!

what can it see in disk manager
start
control panel
admin tools
computer manager
disk manager

It should see both drives - but one may be unformatted or have a drive ID
you should be able to right click assign a drive ID and format

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-windows-xp-only-shows-1-drive.903907/
Relevancy 52.89%

ok i turn on the computer and the bios says "BOOT FROM CD/DVD" or something liek that, so i think ok my dvd drive is working, then i go to My Computer and ITS NOT THERE!!! it only has my hard drive but not my dvd drive even though my bios already knows that it is there. i also went to device manager and its not even there!!! please someone help me.

Relevancy 52.89%

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Home Premium Service Pack bit Processor AMD Phenom tm II X T Processor AMD Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB shows almost drive D: Solved: full Data Free - MB D Total - MB Free - MB L Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard Acer Aspire M Antivirus McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware Updated and Enabled My D Data Solved: D: Data drive shows almost full drive has suddenly decided Solved: D: Data drive shows almost full it s almost full despite my not saving any day to day files music pics etc there Is there something hidden that is taking up room All the files and folders in there barely amount to anything let alone the gb disk space I ve tried the web and this site but opinions vary from hidden files to iTunes data to viruses as to the cause Can you please help discover the root of the problem and help me fix it Thinking it may be virus related I ve run the scans called up by that forum section HJT Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at on Platform Windows SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C Program Files x EgisTec MyWinLocker x mwlDaemon exe C Program Files x EgisTec IPS PmmUpdate exe C Program Files x Acer Hotkey Utility HotkeyUtility exe C Program Files x Acer Arcade Deluxe Arcade Movie ArcadeMovieService exe C Program Files x Real RealPlayer Update realsched exe C Program Files x iTunes iTunesHelper exe C Program Files x EgisTec IPS EgisUpdate exe C Program Files x Internet Explorer IEXPLORE EXE C Program Files x Google Google Toolbar GoogleToolbarUser exe C Program Files x RealNetworks RealDownloader recordingmanager exe C Program Files x Microsoft Office Office WINWORD EXE C Program Files x Internet Explorer IEXPLORE EXE C Users Meadowcroft Downloads HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http www safesearch net utm medi ce sm amp utm content amp utm term D CBE ECB R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www google co uk webhp sourceid navclient amp ie UTF- amp rlz T ACAW enGB GB R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink p LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink p LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search CustomizeSearch R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page C Windows SysWOW blank htm R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride local R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Toolbar LinksFolderName R - URLSearchHook McAfee SiteAdvisor Toolbar - EBBBE -BAD - B C- E A- ABECAE - c PROGRA mcafee SITEAD mcieplg dll R - URLSearchHook BitTorrentBar Toolbar - c f aa-f f- c- f e-b d a - C Program Files x BitTorrentBar prxtbBitT dll F - REG system ini UserInit userinit exe O - BHO AcroIEHelperStub - DF C-E AD- -A -FA C EBDC - C Program Files x Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelperShim dll O - BHO McAfee Phishing Filter - B A- - A -B -BE AFE AB - c progra mcafee msk mskapbho dll O - BHO RealNetworks Download and Record Plugin for Internet Explorer - C E -B - BC - - C CA - C ProgramData RealNetworks RealDownloader BrowserPlugins IE rndlbrowserrecordplugin dll O - BHO no name - C C A-E - b - D - CECB - no file O - BHO Search-Results Toolbar - e d - ec- a- -ec f fc - C PROGRA BEARSH Mediabar Datamngr SRTOOL searchresultsDx dll O - BHO Groove GFS Browser Helper - - C - D -B F - BBC D A E - C Program Files x Microsoft Off... Read more

Relevancy 52.89%

A friend of mine has shows Bytes Solved: Hard Drive 0 asked for my help in retrieving data from her hard drive that apparently is infested with one or multiple virus es She can no longe boot her machine using this hard drive I took the hard drive from Solved: Hard Drive shows 0 Bytes her eMachine running Win K and hooked it up to mine running Win K as a slave After rebooting my system I can see the drive but the system tells me there are bytes and I need to reformat it - which of course I can t do until I retrieve the data files The hard drive is a Maxtor GB ATA drive Model WD Is there a way to retrieve her data Is there a software application capable of doing this or is there a way I can repair restore Solved: Hard Drive shows 0 Bytes his boot sector which I assume is corrupt BTW I am running all kinds of AV software to try and keep the viruses from infecting my machine I had hoped to be able to read her hard drive and try to clean it using my AV software NIS Any and all suggestions appreciated Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 52.89%

Got a loptop given to me A compaq presario has floppy-help 1/2 Windows XP cd Solved: drive but 3 Pro-has shows xp pro on it doesn t have sp I Solved: Windows XP Pro-has cd drive but shows 3 1/2 floppy-help am going to put that on but in the mean time can someone help me with this Looks like the laptop had a floppy in it cause it is still in the carrying case and there is now a cd-rom in it However it looks like no one Solved: Windows XP Pro-has cd drive but shows 3 1/2 floppy-help uninstalled the floppy drive cause that is all it shows in device manager and my computer I tried uninstalling the floppy drive from the device manager but on restart it just put it back Does not show a cd drive at all can some one tell me ow to get it reconized I have an sp disc I would like to put on it but first have to get it to reconize the cdrom I did the add programs in control panel but it does not show it there ieither Anyone know what I can do nbsp

A:Solved: Windows XP Pro-has cd drive but shows 3 1/2 floppy-help

What is the exact model of the laptop? Take a look at this link: http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Look...R163-1&h_pagetype=s-001&h_query=Presario+1700

Your model# is usually on the bottom. Match it up with the ones listed on the link and you should see an article or a fix.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-windows-xp-pro-has-cd-drive-but-shows-3-1-2-floppy-help.574947/
Relevancy 52.46%

My computer is staring in black screen where it gives you options to start windows normally or in safe mode. I looked in device manger and it shows yellow ? marks under other devices next to coprocessor, other PCI bridge device, SMBUS controller, and video controller. How do I fix these?

Relevancy 52.46%

Everest shows 3 unknown devices but device manager doesnt?

my soundcard dissapeard today, i can still pick it up using "Unknown Devices"

and EVEREST

although when i try to run audigy 2 drivers, it`s telling me there are no supported devices in the system, anyone know how i can force the REAL device manager to see these devices?

it seems only everest and unknown devices is picking up my soundcard, it also says AUDIGY from CREATIVE.........it just is not appearing in device manager for some reason so i am unable to actually install it........

please help if anyone has any ideas thanks.

Relevancy 52.46%

An automatic update occured, and a blank box popped up continuously(Titled: C:/swsetup/sp59654/IDTSetup.exe)
I was using my USB headset during that update, then all of a sudden they stop working and only my speakers were working, and no devices were being shown under playback devices nor under recording devices.
I have show disabled/disconnected devices checked.

A:Speakers Work, but it shows "No audio devices are installe

it sounds like a buggy sound driver download from HP , not the first time this has happened.

Try going back to a previous restore point.

http://www.eightforums.com/sound-audio/46755-speakers-work-but-shows-no-audio-devices-installe.html
Relevancy 52.46%

I cloned my Gig hard drive onto a Gig one with HDClone and everything went fine I tested each out in another machine and they both seemed to work fine However I currently have the Gig hooked up by itself drive Solved: as as old up my size shows same hard one! Cloned and it s still reading it as only actually Gigs What happened Some background The PC I normally use is a Compaq Presario with a Gig HD I have a newer Compaq a Presario S NX with a Gig HD that has a busted power supply I took the and plugged it in to my PC as a Slave and wiped it clean successfully I didn t however do anything to the pins I just connected the proper cables Then I used HD Clone to clone my Gig to that one which also was successful I took the out so I could test the and it worked fine Then I put the into the other machine along with the power supply and it recognized a bunch of new hardware from the new machine and also worked fine Not wanting Solved: Cloned hard drive shows up as same size as my old one! to use the smaller drive I switched it out with the Now it still works but it s only reading it as a Why did this happen and how do I fix it nbsp

Relevancy 52.46%

OK If you understand that then you ve been there too I have a Seagate gb HD and used the Seagate Wizard Tools that I downloaded from them to ghost clone to a new Western Digital gb HD They are both rpm and SATA The new drive boots up ok but only shows gb not gb as it did before it was cloned I am not talking about the size of the data that was cloned I redid it in Manual mode but no change As far as I know there are no partitions on the Seagate drive Another thing I noticed is that the System Tools Shows Seagate Solved: Less Drive Ghosting New Files were at the front of the Seagate gb drive but are at the end on the WD gb This shows when the drives are Defraged Can anybody sort this out for me I am doing this so that I have a backup drive incase of a terminal crash Forgot I am using a Intel gag email protected and W Pro with all updates Thanks Steve nbsp

A:Solved: Seagate Tools Ghosting New Drive Shows Less

I made a bootable CD for the Seagate Disk Wizard and ran it from there. Additional functions were on the CD that weren't available when using it from Windows. The sizes are as they are supposed to be now.

Remember though, a 160g HD will only show about 153g in the Disk Manager even though the BIOS will show all.

Thanks for reading.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-seagate-tools-ghosting-new-drive-shows-less.689058/
Relevancy 52.46%

Hey everyone,

Before I start here's my computer info:
E6600
Gigabyte p965-DS3 mobo
HD4870
2x seagate 7200.10 320gb hd
1x WD 160 gb HD

Just the other day out of nowhere I received the low disk space warning on my desktop. I went to check my hard drives, and the WD said it had 0 bytes free. The drive should have about 50 gb free though. I tried to copy something over to the drive to see if it would still work, but it just said the disk was full. I'm able to access everything on the drive perfectly fine, I just can't move anything onto it. If you have any suggestions on how to fix this I'd be very thankful.

Relevancy 52.46%

i am running windows xp pro and a msi motherboard k8tneo via k8t800 chipset based 1gig ddr memory 64 bit 3000 processor gainward ti4800se video card i have 2 hard drives they are both seagate baracudas one is 60gig
the other is 200gig and this is the one i am having trouble with as i had the 200 showing as 186gig wich was good where i brought the 200gig the installed it and i had to erase everything on the hard drive and now it shows up as only 125gig any help would be appreciated cheers.

A:Solved: 200gig shows up as 125gig hard drive

The two most common reasons is that you don't have at least XP-SP1 installed, or your BIOS is too early to support drives larger than 128gigs.

What O/S is installed, and what is the BIOS date of the machine? What shows up in Disk Management for that drive?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-200gig-shows-up-as-125gig-hard-drive.282686/
Relevancy 52.03%

I have Dell inspiron 5520 lap. I paired my new bluetooth headset with the laptop successfully but in the sound options - play back devices its disconnected status. when i tried to connect by right click on it there , observed no action happened. Is there a way to resolve this issue. Is there any problem with the Bluetooth radio (manufacturer -Cambridge Silicon Radio Ltd.) or Bluetooth Enumerator on my computer. checked for those driver software updates, they are already up to date. Please assist. 

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3517/t/19993367
Relevancy 51.6%

my f drive showing 23 gigs used out of 27 but when i highlight all the files and folders in the drive (including hidden files) it shows 17 gigs.

this is not my c drive where xp is installed.
i have an xp 2100 athlon with 512mb ram.

A:Solved: my f drive showing 23 gigs used out of 27 but when i highlight all the files it shows

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-my-f-drive-showing-23-gigs-used-out-of-27-but-when-i-highlight-all-the-files-it-shows.119040/
Relevancy 51.17%

Hi there From my out-of-work PC Scaleo Fujitsu-Siemens Motherboard RIMM RAM issues I have its GB HD connected as Drive G via quot External Drive Enclosure to laptop VAIO VGN-FS M My question I Is it possible to have the content of drive G either downloaded transferred into VAIO Drive D GB currently almost empty and operate this HD in a dual booting system with VAIO Drive C or II leaving all the folders as they are as drive G but being able to select this drive as alternative to drive c In other words when booting VAIO before going straight into Windows XP I d like to have the black screen offering me the OS selection I understand that switching from one OS into another without first logging out and in again could also be possible In this case both OS s are Windows XP Home Edition SP all updates Any conclusive help would be greatly appreciated Thank you very much nbsp

A:Solved: External Drive WXP onto VAIO drive D:\ as dual booting system or...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-external-drive-wxp-onto-vaio-drive-d-as-dual-booting-system-or.580927/
Relevancy 51.17%

Hi,

I am trying to re-install xp pro on my Toshiba Notebook with an external DVD drive. I am able to boot from the drive and the blue "windows setup" screen begins to load.

After I press enter to set up Window XP, it says "setup did not find any hard disk drives installed on your comptuer...Press F3 to quit.

I am stumped. If I quit setup and I can reboot and load my original windows. Therefore, the hard disk is present and works fine.

How do I get the windows setup to see the hard drive and proceed with setup?

Thanks.
Dw1256

A:Solved: Install Windows with External Dvd Drive - Hard drive not found?

It is usually because the installation cannot recognise the SATA driver for the hard disc
If you have a usb drive load from Toshiba the sata controller drivers
so on the screen for the install you press F6 load drivers and then load the sata driver from the usb - I say usb as I presume you do not have a floppy drive
OR you can include them in a reburnt CD using nLite but that is a longer way round the problem
Nlite

http://www.nliteos.com/guide/part2.html

OR you can TRY try this

Enter your BIOS/Setup Utility
Locate the Serial ATA or SATA configuration section
I’ve seen this section called ‘On Chip Config’ on some Phoenix Award BIOS

On Lenovo/IBM ThinkPads it’s in Config > Serial ATA (Sata)
Change the mode of the SATA controller from AHCI to IDE or Compatibility
Save & Exit
Reboot and begin the Windows Setup again.
If Windows Setup successfully detects your hard disk this time then go ahead and perform the Windows Setup.
When Windows setup completes change the mode back to AHCI in the BIOS

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-install-windows-with-external-dvd-drive-hard-drive-not-found.1120234/
Relevancy 51.17%

Hi all,
I recently bought a WD My Book Essential Edition external hard drive and wanted to change it from FAT32 to NTFS. I was following instructions given on WDs website, however the directions weren't entirely clear (of course only noticed after the fact). I right clicked on My Computer, clicked manage and used Disk Manager. The instructions said to find the drive, right click on it and click delete partition. It didn't mention however, to do that with bottom part of the screen and not the top. So, I think I just deleted the logical drive.

It shows up on the device manager and the "Safely Remove Hardware" window, but the drive letter no longer shows up under My Computer.

Is there a way to fix this? Or did I just buy a $120 paper weight?

Thanks,

PaveFE

A:Solved: External Hard Drive - Deleting partition, but accidently deleted logical drive

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-external-hard-drive-deleting-partition-but-accidently-deleted-logical-drive.585272/
Relevancy 51.17%

ok so i have a MDG vision book running windows xp. and last week i put a nickelback cd in my cd drive to rip onto the computer and the cd drive was trying to read it but nothing was showing on my computer. so sence then iv tried lots of different kinds of cds like music, dvd, date, and a few program cds. iv bin trying alot of troubleshooting but have had no luck at all. so if some can please give me some help that would be a great thanks

A:Solved: My cd drive wont work at all but the computer shows its working fine

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-my-cd-drive-wont-work-at-all-but-the-computer-shows-its-working-fine.1054979/
Relevancy 51.17%

I want to get an external hard drive dvd burner combo if there is such a thing To make this question as simple as possible I need a drive/dvd-rw External OR Solved: combo? External drive Hard Hard hard drive that my camera can be plugged into with the firewire I also need the hard drive that is able to plug in to the USB slot on my computer Solved: External Hard drive OR External Hard drive/dvd-rw combo? because my new Dell doesn t seem to tolerate a firewire card which I installed and then took out and returned to the store It froze my computer and I tried everything to stabilize it but had no luck It did work long enough to download min or so of video and I burned that onto a cd Thats when I found out I had a dvd-rom not a dvd burner long story I know Sorry I just want to figure out the most economical way now to save my movies and burn them to dvd also using either another external dvd burner or maybe there is a hard drive dvd burner combo Or should I just get two separate externals Again I need the hard drive burner to plug into my computer with usb Then the firewire from the camera would go into the hard drive burner to download the movies nbsp

Relevancy 51.17%

Hi My external hard-drive stopped working yesterday This is what s happening I Solved: before External the you can F: it. hard-drive:...format disk drive in use plug it in as usual then it says quot You need to format the disk in drive F before you can use it Do you want to format it quot I m thinking it s more than likely an issue of having pulled out the usb cable without clicking safely remove Yesterday I actually got it working again briefly by typing quot chkdsk F R quot into command prompt Now when I do that it doesn t work it says quot The type of the file system Solved: External hard-drive:...format the disk in drive F: before you can use it. is NTFS Unable to determine volume version and state CHKDSK aborted quot And when I double click on F drive in my computer it says quot F is not accessible The file or directory is corrupted or unreadable quot Are there any other options besides using some sort of data recovery tool I d rather not do this just because it takes a long time nbsp

A:Solved: External hard-drive:...format the disk in drive F: before you can use it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-external-hard-drive-format-the-disk-in-drive-f-before-you-can-use-it.1052654/
Relevancy 51.17%

I have an old BYTECC hard drive enclosure Trying to use it on an older XP system for back up Got a bunch of G hard drives I can use The OS will detect the external drive is connected and powered up arrow shows in the tray for a USB drive checked the device manager and it sezs the drive is there and operating properly recognizes it but does not assign a drive letter AIDA sezs it is there but same deal shows no drive not External letter a Solved: assigned drive hard drive letter I ve tried four different hard drives with the same results I know the hardware works on other computers this particular computer USB works with other canned external drives it reads a Solved: External hard drive not assigned a drive letter flash memory stick as a drive no problem I know the BYTECC is set up properly should be the same as with other computers Works ok on a Win system What could be the problem Is there something to tweak I do know this XP system would not read hard drives that had been formatted on non-XP computers before Don t exactly know what systems Solved: External hard drive not assigned a drive letter all these drives were formatted on Isn t making any sense to me at the moment Doing it just like I did on the Win system with other drives everything worked as it should Thinking I could try to slap one of the drives in as a slave and try to format it that way hopefully can get it to be read as a USB drive instead Any help greatly appreciated Thanks nbsp

A:Solved: External hard drive not assigned a drive letter

If the drive shows up in Disk Management (Start/Run/diskmgmt.msc/OK), right-click the drive icon or the area showing the drive below, select "Change drive letter and paths". In the next window click "Add". Next window click the radio button for "Assign the following drive letter". Select a drive letter. Click OK.

Raybro

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-external-hard-drive-not-assigned-a-drive-letter.856433/
Relevancy 51.17%

hi guys. the external hard drive, here at work, cannot be detected by any of the computers. my thoughts are that the data was wiped clean. i've removed the hard drive from the case and installed it onto my computer as a slave drive. a) how can i view if these files still exist. and b) if they are missing, can you recommend a software recovery program?

Relevancy 50.74%

I cant figure this out...my drives have simply disappeared from my computer suddenly.
The last time I took it to Geek Squad got made fun of then they fixed it and said iTunes messed it up. Well I would like how to fix it myself or attempt to before my pride has to take another blow

A:Solved: Disc Drive and External Drive AWOL

What drives do you have in/on this machine and are ALL of your drives not listed including the C drive?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-disc-drive-and-external-drive-awol.831702/
Relevancy 50.74%

I have a HP Pavillion laptop computer. I needed to replace my hard drive, the salesman at the store said I could buy an external hard drive and remove it from the case and use it as an internal. I did that. Now I get NTLDR is missing. I ordered recovery discs from HP but nothing happens when I try to use them. HP said I need to format the new hard drive but I don't know how. Can someone help a beginner?

Relevancy 50.31%

Hi guys,
I recently bought a Toshiba satellite click mini, tried to use my external hard drive but its not showing up at all. Any ideas on how to fix this?
its a Seagate 250gb hard drive. Thanks in advance

A:Satellite click mini not reconising external hard drive or external DVD drive

Originally Posted by rachel.nickells

Hi guys,
I recently bought a Toshiba satellite click mini, tried to use my external hard drive but its not showing up at all. Any ideas on how to fix this?
its a Seagate 250gb hard drive. Thanks in advance

Is it usb powered? If so does the hard drive spin up? Are there any clicking noises from the drive?

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?83630-Satellite-click-mini-not-reconising-external-hard-drive-or-external-DVD-drive
Relevancy 49.88%

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS 30% Win Virtual task on mgr Win7 XP XP shows shows 7: 90%, Solved: Version Microsoft Windows Ultimate Service Pack bit Processor Intel R Core TM i CPU M GHz Intel Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card Intel R HD Graphics - Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB F Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard TOSHIBA Portable PC Antivirus Microsoft Security Essentials Updated and Enabled When I run Virtual Win XP and the program that runs in it is manipulating a database apparently processor intensive the virtual XP task manager shows the processor is running At the same time the physical machine s task manager shows the physical processor is running - The virtual machine has MB of ram allocated to it and there isn t much hard drive activity Anyway I m curious if anyone else has run into this bottle neck and if there s anything to do about it It seems like my physical machine has more resources to put on the virtual machine than it s capable of using or something like that Thanks nbsp

A:Solved: Virtual XP on Win 7: XP task mgr shows 90%, Win7 shows 30%

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-virtual-xp-on-win-7-xp-task-mgr-shows-90-win7-shows-30.1050310/
Relevancy 49.88%

Hi, Recently i've noticed my system is only using 2gb of ram and is running really slowly. I run a Rampage III Motherboard with 6gb of ripjaw ram. However only 2gb of ram is being used for some reason.
I read a bit about going into the bios and looking for a "memory remapping" setting but there was not one.
I also unchecked the box for max memory in msconfig > boot > advanced options.

Any suggestions would be great!

Relevancy 49.88%

Hello,
My toshiba extrnl 1tb hard disk changed to raw aftr abrupt power cut whn drive was cnnectd to pc. After sum research tried method of test disk on win 7. I followd the procedure and writed partion. But aftr rebootng nw disk changed to unallocated. I tried initializing disk to mbr but it shows cyclic redundancy chck error. And also whn i run test disk nw. It show partion read error. I backdup my data frm drive nw. But also dnt want to lose my drive.
I treid all, chkdsk also but drive dosnt have drive path lettr so i cant run chksdk mthd also. I also use 3rd party app to rebuild mbr bt it aso faild.
Plz can u suggest, wat can i do to save my drive.

My above prblm can be bettr undrstand by you in followng link video.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=synoVfeZl_g

Awitng ur rply

A:1tb hard drive shows unallocated & shows error cyclic redundancy error

Hello and welcome Kishor now I have gut feeling that drive night have been damaged by the sudden power failure it could have affected the platters themselves or the controller unit.
Now I think you need to test the drive using this SeaTools for Windows | Seagate or a purely physical surface test see this Best Free Partition Manager Freeware and free partition magic for Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Vista and Windows XP 32 bit & 64 bit. MiniTool Free Partition Manager Software Home Edition. run it and see my pic on how to set that up. It tests the actual surface of the platters and to some extent the ability of the read / write heads.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/342569-1tb-hard-drive-shows-unallocated-shows-error-cyclic-redundancy-error.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Hi,

My desktop runs on OS 2K SP4. I have encountered a few problems. I bought 2.5" Inland external enclosure, and installed a 160GB hard drive. When I connected it to my desktop via a USB port (front or back), my desktop could not recognize my external enclosure. First I thought that the enclosure malfunctioned. I exchanged a new one, but it still could not be recognized. I tried to connect to my sister's desktop (OS XP Pro. SP3). The enclosure was recognized and ran perfectly.

SO the problem is my desktop. I downloaded USB drivers (all kinds) and installed it, but the problem still remains.

Question: What is the real problem? and How can I fix it?

Please help. Thanks million

CT

Relevancy 49.45%

I have an extra 40GB Seagate HD sitting in a bottom desk drawer in bubble wrap that I'd like to put to use in an external 2.0 USB case which I'm about to order. I presently have two 40 GB internal drives with jumper settings at "cable select." First, is it possible to operate more than two HD's on a system(Windows XP Home) and second, if so, I assume the jumper settings would be: Drive 0 Master, Drive 1 Slave and the USB drive Slave. Thanks for any guidance.

A:Solved: usb external hard drive as third drive?

It's no problem to connect as many drives as you can afford. Just jumper the drive as master and stick it in the external enclosure. Master/slave relevant when connection to an IDE controller with multiple IDE devices, external cases are always masters.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-usb-external-hard-drive-as-third-drive.568998/
Relevancy 49.45%

P3 600mhz, 1GB ram, win xp pro
BIOS info:
asus p3bf bios revision 1002
award medallion v.6.0

I bought a hitachi 200GB hard drive that is in a sarotech hardbox(external).
The HD did not come w/ a cd.
My pc only recognizes it as 58.2.
the drive is in good working condition and set correctly( i plugged it into a Mac using the firewire and it showed 200GB)

i heard if i buy a controller card my problem will be solved...
i have no idea

Relevancy 49.45%

I tried most things that google suggested but I wanna ask here if anyone has ever run in to this problem before I already did elsewhere and used used those suggestions as well quot hdd in an external enclosure using USB port GB worked great for one year showed 160 GB as 1.99TB shows Anyone HDD)!!! know up WHY? (external usb up as xGB that s fine made partitions on it when 160 GB shows up as 1.99TB (external usb HDD)!!! Anyone know WHY? I merged them using partition magic the capacity changed 160 GB shows up as 1.99TB (external usb HDD)!!! Anyone know WHY? to TB I backed up data and can play as much as I want with it but I wanna fix it now it won t format it won t do anything I tried seagate utilities I tried a lot of other things Computer Management- gt Disk Management shows TB Partition Magic shows TB what the heck is going on with TB I don t have any tools hardware tools I mean to hook this up in my box so I wanted to check before opening my box up I m not good at that I always always always seem to goof it up any input would be great Just give me suggestions cuz I m really running out of resources here and it s getting extremely frustrating thanks nbsp

A:160 GB shows up as 1.99TB (external usb HDD)!!! Anyone know WHY?

Delete all the partitions?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/160-gb-shows-up-as-1-99tb-external-usb-hdd-anyone-know-why.35463/
Relevancy 49.02%

Hi so recently my PC has stopped recognizing any external devices such as cameras, HTC phone and iPad. I have ran malware and virus scans in safe mode and found nothing. I have also gone to device manager and nothing shows up whilst plugged in. I have uninstalled all drivers that correspond to the devices and re installed them with no luck. I have also done the same with MOBO drivers. All USB 2.0 ports have been tried and none of them work. USB drives however do still work in all of the ports. NOTE all external devices previously worked and the only thing about my PC i have changed is the keyboard and mouse since this started happening.

Any help would be much appreciated if anymore info is needed please ask. Here are some important specs:

Win7 64bit
8GB corsair RAM
Intel i5 3570k @ 3.4ghz
Gigabyte Z77-G3H MOBO

A:PC will not recognize any external devices?

I think you need to try some software for this procedure. Driver management tool that will find and update outdated drivers on your PC. I use this one. Maybe it will help you Bro ?

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/330829-pc-will-not-recognize-any-external-devices.html
Relevancy 49.02%

I don't know if this is a hardware problem or not but I can't use my camera or my printing machine and if I try the computer hangs on restart and turn off. I also tried to install a new spyware program and it installed but would not run. I than tried to restart and PC would not restart and Task Manager would not End Task on the new spyware. I have had to shut power off and than power back on to get computer back up. I am on Internet and Networking with router plus digital phone. I have no problem with the other programs on my computer and never had a problem with the camera or the printer. Any help in which direction I should go.

A:external devices not working on PC

did you check the Device Manager for Yellow/Red Icons?
Sounds like the USB stuff is disabled or has a conflict.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-devices-not-working-on-pc.35900/
Relevancy 49.02%

Hi all, I'm new here but I really hope someone can help me. I recently bought a External blu ray writer from Ebay. It's listed as a Hitachi lg bt10f. When trying to install it on my Windows 7 laptop, via 2 USB cables, my laptop started searching for drivers for the device. But instead the only thing it found was as a initio combo device class, but when I put a blu ray into the device, nothing showed up under my computer or in device manager. So I restarted, plugged the device in again, then it installed a FJ Camera.

I really don't understand what is going on, as i can't find it in device manager and it doesn't show up under 'my computer'. I also can't seem to find any drivers for Hitachi lg bt10f. I really hope someone can help as I haven't got a clue what to do.

A:External Blu Ray not showing up on devices

Load up your Blu-ray software, and play the disk.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-blu-ray-not-showing-up-on-devices.1082495/
Relevancy 49.02%

I suspect it's because of some update W dl without me knowing, but just yesterday when I pluged my phone via USB or tablet or any external device for that matter, it did pop up in Windows Explorer and I could transfer data to and from it. Today when I plug in any of those devices(phone, tablet, flash drive) they don't. I can't even see them in Disk Managment. What could be an issue here? Is it indeed some broken update?

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/54448-no-external-devices-issue-why.html
Relevancy 49.02%

Whenever I leave an external device plugged into my USB (such as a camera or iPod), the BSOD appears. The problem happens more quickly if I have numerous programs running. My computer is vista x64 bit - Dell - with an operating system that came preinstalled when I purchased it from bestbuy in July 2008.

A:BSOD external devices

Code:
Microsoft (R) Windows Debugger Version 6.11.0001.404 AMD64
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Loading Dump File [C:\Users\richc46\AppData\Local\Temp\Temp1_Windows_NT6_BSOD_jcgriff2 (Strand 5-13-11).zip\Windows_NT6_BSOD_jcgriff2\Mini050811-01.dmp]
Mini Kernel Dump File: Only registers and stack trace are available
Symbol search path is: SRV*c:\symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols
Executable search path is:
Windows Server 2008/Windows Vista Kernel Version 6002 (Service Pack 2) MP (2 procs) Free x64
Product: WinNt, suite: TerminalServer SingleUserTS Personal
Built by: 6002.18327.amd64fre.vistasp2_gdr.101014-0432
Machine Name:
Kernel base = 0xfffff800`09c16000 PsLoadedModuleList = 0xfffff800`09ddadd0
Debug session time: Sun May 8 10:55:00.586 2011 (GMT-4)
System Uptime: 2 days 3:25:49.212
Loading Kernel Symbols
Loading User Symbols
Loading unloaded module list
* Bugcheck Analysis *
Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.
BugCheck 3B, {c0000005, fffff80009eba1aa, fffffa601847d2a0, 0}
Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!NtAdjustPrivilegesToken+3dd )
Followup: MachineOwner
---------
0: kd> !analyze -v
* Bugcheck Analysis *
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3b)
An exception happened while executing a system service routine.
Arguments:
Arg1: 00000000c0000005, Exception code that caused the bugcheck
Arg2: fffff80009eba1aa, Address of the exception record for the exception that caused the bugcheck
Arg3: fffffa601847d2a0, Address of the context record for the exception that caused the bugcheck
Arg4: 0000000000000000, zero.
Debugging Details:
------------------

EXCEPTION_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0xc0000005 - The instruction at 0x%08lx referenced memory at 0x%08lx. The memory could not be %s.
FAULTING_IP:
nt!NtAdjustPrivilegesToken+3dd
fffff800`09eba1aa 483900 cmp qword ptr [rax],rax
CONTEXT: fffffa601847d2a0 -- (.cxr 0xfffffa601847d2a0)
rax=fffffa8005f32bf8 rbx=0000000000000000 rcx=0000000000000000
rdx=fffffa800a34c820 rsi=fffff880156ee620 rdi=0000000000000000
rip=fffff80009eba1aa rsp=fffffa601847db00 rbp=fffffa601847dca0
r8=0000000000000000 r9=0000000000000000 r10=0000000000000001
r11=fffffa8005f32bb0 r12=fffff880156ee620 r13=00000000048f6301
r14=00000000067dc700 r15=fffff88013ccf560
iopl=0 nv up ei pl zr ac po cy
cs=0010 ss=0018 ds=002b es=002b fs=0053 gs=002b efl=00010257
nt!NtAdjustPrivilegesToken+0x3dd:
fffff800`09eba1aa 483900 cmp qword ptr [rax],rax ds:002b:fffffa80`05f32bf8=fffffa8005f32bf8
Resetting default scope
CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT: 1
DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: VISTA_DRIVER_FAULT
BUGCHECK_STR: 0x3B
PROCESS_NAME: svchost.exe
CURRENT_IRQL: 0
LAST_CONTROL_TRANSFER: from fffff80009c6ff33 to fffff80009eba1aa
STACK_TEXT:
fffffa60`1847db00 fffff800`09c6ff33 : fffffa80`05f32bb0 fffffa80`05f32b01 00000000`06fdec08 fffff800`00000000 : nt!NtAdjustPrivilegesToken+0x3dd
fffffa60`1847dbb0 00000000`77c96faa : 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 : n... Read more

http://www.vistax64.com/crashes-debugging/289960-bsod-external-devices.html
Relevancy 49.02%

I suspect it's because of some update windows dl without me knowing, but just yesterday when I plugged my phone via USB or tablet or any external device for that matter, it did pop up in Windows Explorer as new usb device connected and I could transfer data to and from it. Today when I plug in any of those devices(phone, tablet, flash drive) they don't. I can't even see them in Disk Managment.
Now I haven't made any tweaks in my system, I didn't installed anything new, what's more - I haven't made any changes on my phone as well. And yet, yesterday it worked, today it doesn't.
What could be an issue here? Is it indeed some broken update?
And most of all how to fix this?

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/54454-no-external-devices-issue-why.html
Relevancy 49.02%

Hello,
Yesterday my external was working just fine. I plugged in my Ipod, but comp. was not recognizing any USB being plugged in. I restarted the machine. This morning I attempted plugging my external hard drive and Ipod, but no luck. I tried plugging both into diff. USB ports. I appreciate you taking your time to give a helping hand. Thanks.
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7000
Date: 3/13/2010
Time: 3:07:29 PM
User: N/A
Computer: EMMANUEL
Description:
The ftsata2 service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

A:not picking up external devices

What is the make and model of the machine you are on? any idea?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/not-picking-up-external-devices.909782/
Relevancy 49.02%

I just reformatted and installed XP Pro on my pc, everytime i plug in a usb device it asks me for my xp pro disc. The problem is i don't know where to browse on the disc to install what it is looking for. Did i forget to install something off the disc when i redid everything? I didn't have this problem before i reinstalled.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/pc-having-problems-with-external-devices.609291/
Relevancy 49.02%

I have two devices in my office which both need to be accessible externally.
One is an FTP server (Hermstedt Stingray), the other is a NAS drive (Lacie).
I don't have a static IP so have instead configured an account with DYNDNS.
My understanding is that by using this method, only one device will be ever be accessible because of the one single dynamic IP. Is this correct? Or is there a way of configuring something somewhere (DYNDNS, router etc) so that both my devices can be accessed externally.

A:2 devices need accessing from one external IP

Port forwarding in your router.

The FTP server will take any requests to the DYNDNS address coming on port 23.
The NAS device will probably be taking requests over http port 80 or 443(secure) if you need to hit it with a web browser.

Check the manual for the NAS, it should have port information.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/2-devices-need-accessing-from-one-external-ip.984074/
Relevancy 49.02%

About a week ago my USB Wireless internet adapter stopped working. The same day, the speakers stopped working and my computer would no longer recognize anything that was plugged into any of the USB ports or the sound card ports. I'm almost sure this is either a driver problem, something got disconnected, or there's a dead wire somewhere. I need help, obviously.

I've asked a lot of my fairly techknowledable friends, and they haven't been able to give me an answer...so you guys are my last resort before paying for tech services. (and probably new parts in the process)

My specs are Windows XP Media Center
AMD Athlon 64 2.2
GeForce 6800

If you need any other info, just ask.

Thanks.

Relevancy 49.02%

I have around external HDDs some I use for Wii games some for PS games None my external can any detect of HDD devices They are not originally external usually taken out from PC or None of my devices can detect any external HDD Laptop None of my devices can detect any external HDD Various producers WD Seagate This morning I played GTA V using one of them I use cables for SATA ATA HDD adapter and the USB cable I bought new ones few days ago so I don t think connection is problem Besides you can hear them spinning and PC pops up message about a usb malfunctioning and in Driver Manager it shows Unkown device until I unplug it Problem started when PS couldn t load HDD It shows USB icon like it s trying to load but it s gone and it doesn t load any files I tried other HDDs that haven t been ever plugged in laptop or PS using my main PC with windows xp SP and Norton Antivirus It doesn t load at all Disk management also doesn t load All devices load USB sticks without problem But suddenly none of these HDDs can be detected even in Seatools and I don t see a connection between these HDDs like how did they all out of sudden start behaving like this nbsp

A:None of my devices can detect any external HDD

Not sure if you bought a new Usb adapter, if you didn't the adapter itself could be the problem.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/none-of-my-devices-can-detect-any-external-hdd.1137315/
Relevancy 49.02%

I have around external HDDs some I use for Wii games some for PS games They are not originally external usually any HDD of can devices None external my detect taken out from PC or Laptop Various producers WD Seagate This morning I played GTA V using one of them I use cables for SATA ATA HDD adapter and the USB cable I bought new ones few days ago so I don t think connection is problem Besides you can hear them spinning and PC pops up message about a None of my devices can detect any external HDD usb malfunctioning and in Driver Manager it shows Unkown device until I unplug it Problem started when PS couldn t load HDD It shows USB icon like it s trying to load but it s gone and it doesn t load any files I tried other HDDs that haven t been ever plugged in laptop or PS using my main PC with windows xp SP and Norton Antivirus It doesn t load at all Disk management also doesn t load All devices load USB sticks without problem But suddenly none of these HDDs can be detected even in Seatools and I don t see a connection between these HDDs like how did they all out of sudden start behaving like this nbsp

A:None of my devices can detect any external HDD

You might want to have a look at this program;
http://www.uwe-sieber.de/drivetools_e.html
On that site, scroll down to the 9th black heading; Drivecleanup.zip
It runs as a DOS command, I use this once every few weeks to clear out the USB history, which might be why your PC is having trouble connecting to all your external HDDs. I have used this for years, very useful.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/none-of-my-devices-can-detect-any-external-hdd.206788/
Relevancy 49.02%

Uhm... I don't know if this is the right site to ask but if anyone knows how to remove the autorun.inf in their notebook. it happens that whenever i place a flash drive or memory card in my pc, a file "autorun.inf" appears. first, i tried to delete it but it won't delete because it was being used by c:\WINDOWS\Explorer.exe. then, i used a program called "Unlocker" to delete it. it actually allowed me to delete it but the autorun.inf still appears whenever i return any usb device back. is my system infected by a virus? actually, i tried avira and avast but they both seem to have detected nothing.

please help.

A:autorun.inf in external devices

Did you by chance run Combofix or Flash Drive Disinfector?Note: As part of its routine, Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden folder named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive that was plugged in when you ran it. Do not delete this folder...it will help protect your drives from future infection by keeping the autorun file from being installed on the root drive and running other malicious files.-------------------------------What it does:The vaccination is two fold. If the computer's autorun settings are enabled, then files can spread to any drive that's plugged in. If the drives themselves are vaccinated, all the tool does is prevent the autorun.inf file from executing any of the malicious content that may have been copied to the drive when it's plugged in.In other words, say you vaccinate your USB drive. The tool writes an autorun.inf file that's harmless. When it's inserted in a computer that does not have autorun disabled, the computer will attempt to read and process the autorun.inf file from the inserted drive. If an infection that spreads to network or USB drives is present on the computer, the infection may very well succeed in putting the files on the drive, but they will not be able to overwrite the autorun.inf file and as such the files will not run without user input (i.e. actually clicking on them).If the computer's infected and that infection tries to multiply to external drives, then yes, it'll likely copy some files to it. You could then remove those as they wouldn't be running automatically once the drive's inserted in another PC. Nothing you do will stop files from being copied over to an external drive if an infection of that type is present on the system. Well, technically you can prevent that by setting the write protect mode, but not every USB drive has one of those and it prevents writing anything to the drive.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/262059/autoruninf-in-external-devices/
Relevancy 49.02%

I have a Dell XPS 1640 laptop connected to a Mitsubishi big screen HDMI to HDMI. I would like to run two audio devices from the laptop, the TV's internal speakers and an external speaker system (SoundMatters SlimStage) but I can only get one to run at a time.

The SoundMatters speaker is connected to one of the two headphone jacks and works fine. If I try to "connect" the TV speakers using the HDMI audio, it turns off the Soundmatters speaker. I thought HDMI had its own audio?

So I tried using the other headphone port to connect to one of the TV's audio-in ports (PC-DVI RCA jacks) but I get no sound from the TV. I've tried other audio-in ports with the same result. The video looks good, the volume is up and the mute is off but still no sound. Is there something I'm missing?

A:two external audio devices?

Can you use a common splitter of some kind to route the signal from a headphone jack to both sets of speakers?

You may need an adapter of some kind along the way? I know little about HDMI, but using splitters generally works well in audio situations as long as both speakers can accept the same type of connector. Might not work well if one output is supposedly very high quality audio and the other only average---they might both end up sounding average.

http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/151012-two-external-audio-devices.html
Relevancy 49.02%

Hi
I'm sure this is a software problem, rather than hardware?

A:External USB HDD no longer shows up in My Computer?

Is the hard drive formatted and assigned a drive letter? The Disk Management screen is going to be the most helpful place to check.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/173713-external-usb-hdd-no-longer-shows-up-my-computer.html
Relevancy 49.02%

I have two 2TB Western Digital Elements hard drives (I just got the second one today), and I can't see both of them at the same time on my computer. Each one shows up and works fine individually, but if I put the other one in while one is already in there, the second one won't show up. I changed the letter of one of them, hoping that would work, but to no avail...

A:Two External Hard Drives, Only One Shows

Here's a thought...

If you have two identical drives, perhaps Western Digital pre-formatted them identically at the factory. If they both have the same "volume label", then maybe that's what's confusing Windows when you connect the second one.

I recommend that you change the label on one or both external drives, to be unique. Maybe call one "BigDrive1" and the other "BigDrive2" or whatever you want.

First connect one drive and let Windows assign a drive letter to it. Then open Windows Explorer or My Computer, right-click on the external drive, select Properties, and fill in the volume label for that drive.

For example:

Then "safely remove" the drive, disconnect it, and connect the second one. Then change its volume label the same way... but with a unique second label.

Now reconnect the first drive to a second USB port, and see if the drive is now accepted by Windows and assigned a second unique drive letter.
Note: if you have Partition Wizard installed, you can use it as well to plant a volume label.

Select the partition, right-click, and select "label" from the popup menu. Or, you can select the partition and select "set label" from the list of available operations on the left side.

Anyway, my hunch is that it's a duplicate volume label issue, since these are identical drives from Western Digital.

My own personal habit is to assign volume labels to my partitions implying the hard drive manufacturer, the drive size, and then the partition number (P1, P2, etc.). For example:

(just noticed I forgot to label my C partition the last time I installed Win7. It really should be WDC150-P1, which I will do as soon as I post this response.)

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/161581-two-external-hard-drives-only-one-shows.html
Relevancy 49.02%

Hoping someone can help me with this......

Sometimes when I detach my ext HD using windows 'safely remove hardware' , the device still shows as being connected under 'my computer'. Even with the external HD detached, I can still view the contents of the drive but nothing more. When I re-attach the drive, the computer freezes.

A:External HD detached though it still shows on my computer

Very Strange.

Please run CCleaner

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hd-detached-though-it-still-shows-on-my-computer.114756/
Relevancy 49.02%

Hello This is my first post and I drives? file via First Name EXE external that shows up did not find anything that dealt with my question but I did find some very First Name EXE file that shows up via external drives? helpful tips in the other postings Okay about three weeks ago I found that I had a file running called ERIC exe my First Name EXE file that shows up via external drives? first name is Eric so that cause a bit of an alarm and I tried to find out what it was but nothing came up on the internet via Google Then I tried to turn it off that didn t do anything A few days latter I started to notice that all of my external drives show up as folder icons instead of the harddrive icon picture when they are plugged in Then I had a window popup telling me that eRIc exe had an issue it listed it in a TEMP file location on the C drive and was going to close Well I thought okay I will go to this file check it out and remove it and see if it was an important file or not When I went to the listed file C drive Documents and Settings Eric TEMP folder it opened and then the eRIc exe file vanished before I could even hover the mouse point over it Since then I have it showing up from time to on a couple of my external drives drives that get scanned every time they are plugged in for viruses and other infections Also yesterday my wife calls and tells me she is seeing the same thing a file with her first name with a exe tag How can I get rid of this and can some tell me what it is and how I got it Thank you for all the help

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/253642/first-name-exe-file-that-shows-up-via-external-drives/
Relevancy 49.02%

The port of my external HDD was not working hence I changed the case. The moment I started working with the new case, the storage fell from one 1000GB to 100GB. I checked on some forums and it seems that this was due to partitioning of the HDD and I had to create a new partition for the remaining portion of 800 odd GB. Once I did the same, I got the entire 900 odd GB but I'm unable to access my data which was stored in the 800 GB partition. When i try opening that, it says the disk is not formatted. Request any of you guys who know whats wrong to help me figure it out. I really need the old data as a lot of work is stored on that

Thanks in advance

A:External HDD shows disk not formatted

Start by testing the drive with diagnostic software. Regardless of who manufactured it, you can test it with Seagate's SeaTools for Windows from here: http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hdd-shows-disk-not-formatted.1078971/
Relevancy 48.59%

So as the title says, I have an external microphone that uses a XLR to 3.5mm jack plugged into my computer (laptop with seperate 3.5mm jacks for output/input) but the microphone is not even listed under recording devices and cannot be used.

When clicking show disabled/hidden devices the Stereo mix shows up, otherwise it is just the default built in interior mic. I have tried checking for driver updates but when running the windows option for automatically check driver updates it says I am fully updated.

I'm not sure how to even start to approach this problem, and really appreciate any help. Thanks!

http://www.eightforums.com/sound-audio/75891-external-mic-not-listed-under-recording-devices.html