Windows Support Forum

Accidentally deleted admin account by changing user name

Q: Accidentally deleted admin account by changing user name

I wanted to change my user account name so I followed instructions from a article I found online in which it looked credible enough but apparently not It instructed to RUN quot Control Userpasswords quot which brings up the User accounts window Then I clicked on account I wanted to change name which happens to be main Admin account and clicked on quot PROPERTIES quot There I was able to change quot USER NAME quot Everything seemed fine until I tried to open WORD but failed with an error message it read quot click run virtualization han quot on top of window and the number quot quot inside the window I then went back to reverse what I did and found the quot USER ACCOUNT quot window empty my account that used to be there was deleted So I tried to System Restore and that failed with another error window I also noticed I was not able to open UNINSTALL PROGRAMS window can any body help me I would greatly appreciate your time nbsp

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Accidentally deleted admin account by changing user name

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Accidentally deleted admin account by changing user name

Start Windows system restore before you boot. Tap F8 key as it's turning on, you'll get the option (Windows 7).

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/accidentally-deleted-admin-account-by-changing-user-name.200360/
Relevancy 103.2%

I tried to follow this procedure: http://www.ehow.com/how_5078719_block-websites-except-one.html I have been using my default admin account for ages on this Windows XP machine. The system prompted me to create a Computer Admin account and then allowed me to set up a limited account. Now my default admin account has disappeared. It has taken many things I need with it, including my Photoshop actions and access to some software and all of my saved passwords in FireFox and IE. I have tried a system restore to no avail. Suggestions on how to get my default admin user back would be much appreciated. That user was passworded and the ones currently appearing are not and I don't really even get how, with any security features at all, it would be possible to set up a new admin account and delete the old one, thus disabling password access on a computer.

A:Accidentally deleted default admin user in Windows XP

Try this:
Reboot into Safe Mode, it should show A choice of Administrator or user account, choose Administrator, and then create a new account and make it Administrator, Reboot back to normal mode and boot into this account

Good Luck !

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/378567/accidentally-deleted-default-admin-user-in-windows-xp/
Relevancy 101.48%

Please help me. This is my first post. I lost my password-protected administrator's account...it and all the files are nowhere to be found. Is there any way to retrieve it and all the files? I am using Windows XP. Please help me. Thank you.

A:Please help...accidentally deleted administrator user account

Are you talking about the account "Administrator" that is there by default? Or is it another account that had admin permissions?

If the second (I'd like to know how you deleted a system account - they are protected), you may be able to recover the data - you'll need some data reocery software like RecoverItAll (just google for it).

Don't use that machine for anything - leave it powered down. Remove the HDD, and install it in another machine as a slave. Install the recovery software and have it check the slave drive.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/please-help-accidentally-deleted-administrator-user-account-78127.html
Relevancy 101.48%

Here is what happened I went to administrator tools gt Computer management gt Local users and groups gt Users Now I double clicked on the main user account Then I switched to the 'member of' tab I deleted the things whatever present over there Then I restarted the system Now I can only see Guest account My main account is not visible there to login I have no other account except Guest account So I logged into the same but I cannot re enable the main account from here Or I cannot create any new account from here But it seems I have Accidentally account windows user 8 deleted the built Accidentally deleted windows 8 user account in administrator account enabled Screenshot attached I tried to restore my system To do so it asked for the password of this administrator password But I did not set Accidentally deleted windows 8 user account any administrator password So I'm stuck here with a Guest account Please help me By the way my main account is not deleted permanently Screenshot attached for the same The same question I posted on other site Accidentally deleted Accidentally deleted windows 8 user account windows user account - xda-developers

A:Accidentally deleted windows 8 user account

Hello Jazz, and welcome to Seven Forums.

You might see if you may be able to enable the built-in Administrator account at boot using OPTION TWO in the tutorial below, then see if you may be able to create a new administrator account for you to use.
Built-in Administrator Account - Enable or Disable in Windows 8
If that doesn't work for you, then you could try booting into Safe Mode and try.
Safe Mode - Start Windows 8 in

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/9824-accidentally-deleted-windows-8-user-account.html
Relevancy 101.48%

Hi everyone So account my Accidentally !!! HELP main deleted user i get back from a beautiful Holiday in Australia and my Laptop a sony Vaio running windows comes up with a message like this quot Accidentally deleted my main user account !!! HELP User Profile Service service failed the logon User profile cannot be loaded quot So i found this link on you tube User Profile Service service failed the logon User profile cannot be loaded - YouTube and checked out what he had to say and it sounded like it would fix my issue I ran it in safe mode searched for regedit - went into the profile list and deleted the double up profile that ended with bac But now i cannot find my User when i log out It only runs as the administrator and looks like it does when i first got this laptop However when i do a search in the c Drive my user is there with all the contents in it and also when i go int control panel my user is also there SO my question is what on earth have i done and how can i get my beloved user back hahahaha would much appreciate your help I want my user back haha

A:Accidentally deleted my main user account !!! HELP

Have you tried Startup Repair I'd also run a full scan with Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware to get that out of the way first.

Since your files are there you can enable Built-in Administrator - Enable from WinRE, create a new Admin-level account, copy your files over from the failed one and once you are sure you have everything delete it. If you have hidden appdata just google the program (e.g. outlook) to find out where the data is stored so you can unhide the file to copy it too.

Once you've got the new profile set up and running well, you can hide the Built In Admin acct again.

This may be easier than trying to repair, but if you want you can from within the built-in Admin acct work through the Troubleshooting Steps for Windows 7, particularly to check for infections, run SFC, possibly Repair Install. It's easier to just make a new account though, unless that fails too in which case you'll need to do the steps - leading up to possible reinstall.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/303975-accidentally-deleted-my-main-user-account-help.html
Relevancy 96.75%

Hi Guys One of our staff to User Solved: Account - User Deleted Guest - File Type Changing PC has a problem the scenarios Specs Alias Names -Company Name Contoso -Staff PC under Domain Alpha -PC Name Contoso -PC -Local Users are administrators and john Solved: Changing User Account Type - User to Guest - File Deleted -User profiles gt operations contoso domain gt john local gt administrator local -MS Outlook connected to email protected Thursday IT remove uninstall chat messengers blocked linkedin facebook twitter youtube change User Account Type Local Staff John Doe from User to Guest I change the type from User Accounts gt Properties gt Group Membership gt Others gt Guest shutdown the system Friday turn on the PC and staff asks for the correct username provides the username Contoso -PC john staff login to his local account using his password Saturday staff called and his desktop files are gone and document files are gone IT check the Users folder there are particular folders john and john contoso -pc both folders empty outlook not connected account is totally FRESh IT check on webmail under Domain Alpha not working the usual password webmail contoso com owa after an hour the usual password works IT tried to connect MS outlook using email protected not working saying quot outlook pst is not offline file quot PROBLEM files are gone Totally FRESh account I don t know what happen guys please help the FIles are gone Hoping your best solution THanks nbsp

A:Solved: Changing User Account Type - User to Guest - File Deleted

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-changing-user-account-type-user-to-guest-file-deleted.1102921/
Relevancy 96.32%

Hey
I have accidentaly deleted my administrator account. It happened because i created a new user, then I used that abit. When I logged on to my old accout I deleted the new one that I made, but then I wasnt't administrator anymore... ON NONE OF THE USERS ON THE COMPUTER. So I can't create a new account with admin rights and I can't change my account type to administrator Please help me if u know how.

- Victor27 -

A:Deleted admin user account

It is against the policy of BleepingComputer to provide information on methods to reset or bypass the Administrator password. Though your question is most likely legitimate, there are others who may read this topic and use the information for less savory reasons. It is for these reasons we do not provide this type of information.If you have any questions, please feel free to send me a private message or an email. Thank you for your understanding.The weathermanBleepingComputer Forums ModeratorReference: BleepingComputer Board Rules

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/203635/deleted-admin-user-account/
Relevancy 95.03%

I've just been having a very large amount of permission problems in various programs, right now I'm having trouble compiling and running the temporary .exe's CodeBlocks makes, getting "permission denied" as an actual compiler error.

So what I'd like to do, and I'm not sure if its possible, is activate the built in full power administrator, which I know how to do, and then rename it to my current account name, or make it so where they merge. I don't really want to have to set all my folders up and such (especially with programs like itunes, which will go off the file path of the username)

~Thanks
~Kyle

A:Changing My user account to Built-in Admin

Quote: Originally Posted by ZeldaKrazy

I've just been having a very large amount of permission problems in various programs, right now I'm having trouble compiling and running the temporary .exe's CodeBlocks makes, getting "permission denied" as an actual compiler error.

So what I'd like to do, and I'm not sure if its possible, is activate the built in full power administrator, which I know how to do, and then rename it to my current account name, or make it so where they merge. I don't really want to have to set all my folders up and such (especially with programs like itunes, which will go off the file path of the username)

~Thanks
~Kyle

Hi kyle and welcome

certainly can rename it. Merging? may be more difficult. I am of no use there. Someone here will know
Sorry I cant help, and again welcome

Ken J+

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/45763-changing-my-user-account-built-admin.html
Relevancy 92.45%

Hi Incredible forum and can't believe I've not found it sooner I'm looking for a little help with a frustrating problem which I'll try and keep to the basics My son downloaded a program which I assume deleted Cant but files. and Copied partitions user cant admin find log in. Deleted account. the administrator and my account chris from Windows vista ie When I logged in the admin and my log in quot icon quot were still there but when I tried to log in it informed me the user details password weren't Deleted user and admin account. Cant log in. Copied partitions but cant find files. correct The details to fix this were on Deleted user and admin account. Cant log in. Copied partitions but cant find files. this forum - which were to go to the HKEY registry and delete a BAK file However the SID field was not there and no user account was shown I assumed the account information had been wiped clean and therefore I was unable to log on The files that were there were quot S- - - quot amp I tried System Recovery along with sf scannow and numerous other ideas I downloaded ultimatebootcd and tried a few things - still Deleted user and admin account. Cant log in. Copied partitions but cant find files. nothing I'm convinced the program must have had a virus which just deleted my accounts from the registry Therefore all quot paths quot from these accounts can't get accessed to I've fortunately backed up my data atleast the main areas photos videos music I've now copied the partitions from my laptop hard drive to an external drive but not the boot info I can view all my photos etc on the external drive from my newly formatted laptop drive However I can't find emails documents etc which I would love to find - I didnt back these up prior to the errors As the quot users quot file has no entry on the external hard drive I believe all the paths leading from these accounts can't be found correctly but I hope are actually still on the hard drive somewhere I've tried just naming a file quot chris quot on the users file and even copying all new user chris data from my newly formatted drive to the external drive files but this didnt work Are there any programs that can find hidden or all files on a drive although these files haven't been quot deleted quot - or does the program need a quot path quot to actually find a file ie c chris documents pictures because quot chris quot no longer exists does that mean I can no longer see the quot documents or pictures file or is there a back door method ANY help on this will be GREATLY appreciated as I've already spent the last weeks trying to work this out and even though I've managed to save of my media finding my emails and documents would be the icing on the cake - cheers Chris

A:Deleted user and admin account. Cant log in. Copied partitions but cant find files.

Chris
Try this software, but use the computer as little as possible until the recovery

Recuva - Undelete, Unerase, File and Disk Recovery - Free Download

If that does not work give this a try, but this one is less likely to work.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...dows-computer/

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/298234-deleted-user-admin-account-cant-log-copied-partitions-but-cant-find-files.html
Relevancy 85.14%

Hi I have accidentally changed the admin account to a local user and now cannot make any changes to my laptop. I am using an ASUS brand and when I click on manage user accounts it pops up with a screen "connect smart card". Kindly help, thanks in advance.

Relevancy 83.85%

I think I accidentally deleted all permissions to a certain folder, including to the admin (me). This is on a desktop PC with XP PRO SP2 , and two users. There is no networking we use the same desktop.

My reason for trying to change the permissions was to block the second user and somehow all the permission to me (admin) were deleted! Now I cannot read/write or anything else to that folder and it has a gig of important data.

How can one get around this? I thought since my user was the admin it had total power. HELP!!!

A:accidentally deleted permissions for admin

never mind, i fixed it by by going to >advanced>owner> and then choosing my user. whew!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/accidentally-deleted-permissions-for-admin.476402/
Relevancy 82.13%

I was trying to create a different account with Administrator access and accidentally disabled the Admin access on my original User Account......so, I now have no users with any admin access. I effed up bad.

Anyway to get around this other than just reinstalling the OS? Thanks.

A:Accidentally Disabled Admin Account

Go into Safe Mode, enable built-in administrator account, reboot and log into administrator account, and then assign administrative privileges to the other account as desired.

Built-in Administrator Account - Enable or Disable

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/69340-accidentally-disabled-admin-account.html
Relevancy 82.13%

I just user when admin non made Lost Admin account account made a non admin user account on my Dell Inspiron windows xp laptop When I went online to sign in under my account admin it is no longer there My name Penne is there and Lost Admin user account when made non admin account so is my daughters I click on my name put my password in and it takes me to the desktop for my daughter and ALL my stuff is gone PLEASE HELP I have googled this and the only thing Lost Admin user account when made non admin account I am seeing is that you need to sign in under an Admin user account to fix this and get my stuff back THere is Lost Admin user account when made non admin account NO admin user account so how can I get it all back I did the F and went to restore to previous point and that didnt work I know there is a way to go to the restore calendar and find a day that her user account was not on there like last week so this might work but I dont know how to find this PLEASE help as all of my EVERYTHING is on my user account and I am lost without it all have a retreat this weekend and I need all of my sheet music and my songs Thanks so much PENNE nbsp

Relevancy 81.7%

Hey.

I accidentally (I don't even know how I did it) deleted my account with ALL MY FILES ON IT! But I know my files are still on the hard drive and in the computer. Problem is when I try to access ''Documents and Settings'' my old account's folder is still there but It is blocked. I remember blocking other users from my files awhile ago but I need to get all my files back!

It won't let me enter my files. All it says is ''C:\DocumentsandSettings/Owner is not accessible.

Access is denied''

Is there any ways I can get these files? I heard I can somehow connect to another computer and send them. I don't know. Any programs I can use? I'll even buy. Please help.

A:Accidentally deleted account

You need to take posssesion of it since it is not recognizing your current User Name as having authority to access it.

In XP Pro you only neeed to right click on the directory and select the Security tab where you will find the option to add your user name to the permissions list.

In XP Home you must boot up in Safe Mode and do this.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/accidentally-deleted-account.596007/
Relevancy 81.7%

I am trying to create a non admin user account, which I know how to do the simple way, however I have been using the admin user account for a while now however I want to transfer/copy program setting, etc to this knew user account.

so I want to: create a non admin user account which is duplicate of the current existing admin account but from her on to install software etc I install under admin account.

I am using Vista too

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
David Lambie

A:How do I copy existing admin user account to normal user account

I would
> Create the new profile with admin privileges
> Transfer stuff things to the new profile (see here)
> Then remove admin privilege from the new account

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-i-copy-existing-admin-user-account-to-normal-user-account.146098/
Relevancy 81.27%

Basically I have two admin accounts one of which belongs to another member of family and one which belongs to me. Heres the situation:

The person who owns the other Admin account is changing my accounts password (also an admin account). Surely there is some way to make it so that I can not have my account's password changed unless it is logged on to my actual account (so my account's password can only be changed if my account is logged on?)

Is there a way?

In urgent need of help!

Thanks!

A:Prevent Admin Accounts From Changing Other Admin Account Passwords In Xp!

Here's an article (for Win2K) that may help: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309799But, IMO, the issue here is that the other person can't be trusted. In such a situation I'd suggest making the other account into a Standard User account - that way they won't be able to mess with your stuff, and they'll be reliant upon you for anything that requires administrative privileges.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/153087/prevent-admin-accounts-from-changing-other-admin-account-passwords-in-xp/
Relevancy 80.84%

I have only one account(administrator) in my pc
Accidentally deleted my administrator account
How to get my account again (now system showing user account missing error)

A:Accidentally Deleted Administrator Account

When you first turn on your computer, immediately keep pressing f8 until you get an Advanced Boot up screen. There, choose Last Known Good Configuration. Not sure if that will work or not though.

I actually wasn't aware that you could delete the actual administrator account - interesting info.

When do you get the account missing error?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/accidentally-deleted-administrator-account-568491.html
Relevancy 80.84%

I have windows 8 and I was on my live account. ( On live.com) when I accidentally hit the delete account button and I wasn't paying attention and ended up deleting it. The problem is, my windows 8 user is registered with my live account. So it says the live account email. But it's deleted. How can I change the email without having to completely make a new windows 8 user?

A:I need help, I accidentally deleted my windows account.

You can't actually delete your live account. Delete just disables it. If you re-log in it will ask if you want to re-activate it. (log in to the web site, not the OS)

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/19757-i-need-help-i-accidentally-deleted-my-windows-account.html
Relevancy 80.84%

I'm unsure if this is the proper section of the forum but here goes I upgraded to Windows when it first was released I had no issues initially Randomly Administrator Account Deleted Accidentally my computer chose to log me in to a temporary profile I was unable to access my files or pictures and no amount Accidentally Deleted Administrator Account of enabling the built in administrator and running the sfc scannow command had any effect on the problem Accidentally Deleted Administrator Account It simply told me there were corrupt files that they couldn't fix It was suggested to me that I use the built in Administrator account to delete the profile I had been logging in under I did so and somehow managed to delete all profiles I am now unable to log into my computer at all The only account available says it's the administrator account however when I attempt to log in it says the account has been disabled I am at an utter loss as to what to do Any advice would be appreciated

A:Accidentally Deleted Administrator Account

Hello psychoviper, and welcome to Ten Forums.

You might see if you may be able to use OPTION FOUR in the tutorial below to enable the built-in Administrator at boot.

Administrator account - Enable or Disable in Windows 10

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/25286-accidentally-deleted-administrator-account.html
Relevancy 79.12%

In a misguided attempt to change my XP welcome screen... I think I may have killed my computer. Please help!
Here's what I did... control userpasswords2 - unchecked box for log in. still had user selection on welcome screen. Here's where it all went wrong... Entered control userpasswords2 again then deleted all users but administrator. Yes I know NOW this was not a good idea. changed administrator password (again bad choice). Rebooted computer. Password does not work. Am unable to get into computer. Tried safemode - partition codes. Any suggestions? or am I completely out of luck? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

A:SOS - Accidentally deleted user accounts. Can't log on to XP!

The rules won't let us help you crack a password. If you can't remember it, and there are no other accounts, we are unable to help.

From http://www.techsupportforum.com/rules.php

Quote:

* You may not ask for assistance with any deemed illegal activities such as but NOT restricted to the following:-

* software pirating
* hacking
* password cracking
* keystroke recording software
* assistance with accessing copyrighted software programs
* Leeching on private or public WiFi/Broadband connections

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/sos-accidentally-deleted-user-accounts-cant-log-on-to-xp-478767.html
Relevancy 79.12%

Hey everybody, i'm new to the forum so excuse any errors I make :)

So like I mentioned in the title I had accidentally deleted my main profile that I go on. My main purpose was actually trying to do something else but instead made problems worse..

I went to
-Start > Run > Control userpasswords2

Then I had accidentally deleted my user profile :\

Now i'm turning to you guys for help.

I'm pretty sure that ALL my files/programs are still on this computer because my C: drive still has everything.

So my question is, Is there anyway I could recover my old user?

A:User profile accidentally deleted

Yes, can you still login to windows using any other user account?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/user-profile-accidentally-deleted-330296.html
Relevancy 79.12%

Hello All I'm delighted No to accounts change /Cannot Admin admin user account existing Access to have found you and after a long day of trying to help myself i am now requiring your much appreciated assistance please I'm not a techy person at all and am hoping someone can help Last week my husband purchased a new hp laptop which No Admin Access /Cannot change existing user accounts to admin account came with Windows On setup i used my No Admin Access /Cannot change existing user accounts to admin account microsoft account to login with a pin the account was setup as administrator No Admin Access /Cannot change existing user accounts to admin account thinking i could change things later About days later i added a standard user account for my husband with a microsoft account login with pin I wanted to make his the administrator account but thought i had better change mine to a standard account first My mistake Now i cannot change anything i have tried to use the cmd prompt to run as administrator - it asks for administrator permission and does not allow me to enter a password or yes I have tried all suggestions to enable the hidden windows account but all ask for the same permission I have tried to go to setup recovery troubleshoot advanced option system restore - it requests an administrator password and when i entered what i thought is mine it does not work Feeling a little Does anybody know anyway i can go back in time to start again or how do i access administrator rights as i really need to add programs etc Thank you for any help given

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/61945-no-admin-access-cannot-change-existing-user-accounts-admin-account.html
Relevancy 78.69%

Hi,
I have been looking for this answer for 2 days and can not find anyone who has had similair problem.

THere are 2 accounts Administrator and Kenmystro/administrator. I have the password for both and can access both. win 7 Ultimate Hp8510.
I have already selected all user permissions and taken ownership in every box I could find for Kenmystro/admin. the UAC is at minimum and the security centre is off. Run as admin on right click does not help.
It does not matter which of the 2 accounts I log into when I try install certain HP software(Maintenance
& some drivers) it says I do not have admin privileges.

This is driving me nuts can anyone help??

Relevancy 78.69%

I was trying to create two admin accounts. admin1 and admin2.. and I wanted that admin2 to denied access to C:/windows/Users/admin1 folder. but I mess it up.
now both admin2 and admin1 cant access the folder help how can i get it back?

A:Accidentally denied admin User's folder. how can I get it back?

Hi,

If you're not too badly denied you may reset it's permissions.

With an Elevated Command Prompt run the following command,

Code:
icacls "C:\Windows\Users\admin1" /reset

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/366835-accidentally-denied-admin-users-folder-how-can-i-get-back.html
Relevancy 78.26%

Hi

I have a user who's pc 'mysteriously' removed his usb ports. I cant add them using the add new hardware wizard and I dont have the original xp pro disks (they come pre-installed by our own in-house IT company and so we dont get the disks! Please be assured the software is fully legal and licensed.

A:Unable to add USB support to New IBM pc (deleted by user accidentally)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/unable-to-add-usb-support-to-new-ibm-pc-deleted-by-user-accidentally.359105/
Relevancy 78.26%

I deleted the default user in Windows 2K, Under control panel, users and passwords, advanced, users. Now when I reboot, I get a prompt that it's unable to log me on under "default". When I type adminsitrator in the user field the computer boots, but many of my programs are missing off the desk top, and my emial accounts in outlook are asking me to set up a new account! How do I restore the default user?

My data and programs are still on the C drive, I just cant open word documents, and word will not launch of my dest top. when I click on exell of the desk top I get a prompt that says this application must be installed to run please run setup from where you origianlly installed the application.

Thanks for you Help!

A:Accidentally Deleted Default User in Widows 2K

I think you should try using the W2K setup disk and run repair. You will probably still have to reinstall the applications.

If you do a google search for repair windows 2000 you will find many articles about using the repair option if you've never done it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/accidentally-deleted-default-user-in-widows-2k.199746/
Relevancy 78.26%

Hello Everyone, My name is Alan and I just became a member.

I hope someone has any easy fix for me, cause I ain't to bright. LOL

First off, many moons ago I deleted accidentally deleted my "Administrator" on start up as a profile, months later now it's causing errors i.e. "you must have administrator rights to make this change" even in "msconfig."

Is there a downloadable patch to fix this or do I have to do a full recovery, my manufacturer's disk only does full recoveries not just the OS.

I believe it's also keeping from networking my two enthernet computers.

Help of this nature will be appreciated.

A:System Administrator User accidentally deleted.

Hi ab0429 and welcome to TSF

Have you tried manually typing Administrator as login name ? (Use the admin password or type enter if you hadn't set any password).

If that doesn't work, you may have an error message like "Your account has been disabled", if so report here and we'll try some other things in safe mode.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/system-administrator-user-accidentally-deleted-154639.html
Relevancy 76.97%

I'm the only user on this laptop and my admin account to Profile/Account User admin problem (can't account) login original was called quot HybridPC quot and I disabled the windows login screen Turn computer on and goes right to desktop One day the welcome screen popped up out of nowhere and I had to login I tried disabling the login screen to where it was before and now I've screwed things up royally I cannot login to my original admin account or find it All the files are still there on my C Users HybridPC folder but I've lost the profile and user I think I messed things up further by trying to create delete other new user accounts I've attached screenshots showing my C users folder User account screen and the netplwiz exe profiles I've been adding deleting and can't get back to square one I don't see my user at all on the welcome screen Thanks for your help Top User Folder is new today and odd looking as I was attempting to fix on my own

A:User Profile/Account problem (can't login to original admin account)

Hello tytlyf, and welcome to Seven Forums.

Let's start to see if you disabled or deleted your "HybridPC" by using the tutorial below to get details about all accounts on your computer while you are logged in to your "Admin" account, then post back with them. Afterwards, we can go from there.

User Accounts - View Detailed Information About in Windows

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/357762-user-profile-account-problem-cant-login-original-admin-account.html
Relevancy 76.97%

Hey, I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium on my HP Pavilion Slimline Desktop and I need help getting my Standard user account back to Administrator. I can't run certain programs and I also can't install and uninstall anything. I don't have the Windows 7 Installation Disk to do restore. I have already tried Safe Mode and I can't enable and built in admin either. Please help me! Thank you!

A:How can I put my Standard user account back to Administrator when the ASP.NET Machine account is admin?

How are you trying to change the type of account?I don't have the Windows 7 Installation Disk to do restoreDo you mean System Restore? If you are, you don't need the installation disk to do this.To use System Restore click on the start orb. In the search box type in System Restore. In the list of results click on System Restore, if you are prompted for an administrator password type it in.Follow the prompts to choose a restore point and restore your computer.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/479959/how-can-i-put-my-standard-user-account-back-to-administrator-when-the-aspnet-machine-account-is-admin/
Relevancy 76.97%

Hi does anyone know what happens if I mistakenly deleted a user account When I open my computer then right click on the quot This pc quot there is a option called quot Manage quot Then under manage there are user accounts I mistakenly deleted the quot Administrators quot group from my current account Only left is standard user group The admin account is password protected and I have the password Is it possible to log into the admin account and changed Accidentaly user account account to admin standard change promote back my current account I did try to right click quot manage quot but I get this window attached file with no place to put the password That is slightly annoying I was trying to reassign myself back in the admin group I was thinking of making an account which can modify all items such adding hardware and items under quot Device manager quot etc but just limit to not being able to just make a new admin full access account Seems that deleting the admin solves the Accidentaly changed admin account to standard user account not being able to make a new account but in the process I'm locked out from the admin settings Is it possible to create a super-user account just limiting not being able to make new user accounts and have access to all such as device manager It would be nice to not have to log into admin account just to check newly installed hardware Currently on standard user I am unable to go to quot device manager quot and other admin based stuff with that admin shield logo Thanks

A:Accidentaly changed admin account to standard user account

From desktop, hold CTRL+ALT then press DEL keyClick on Switch UserType: Administrator and enter the passwordOnce you are in, Win+X->Command Prompt(Admin)Type: net localgroup administrators username /add <======== replace username with your namesign out and sign back in with your name.

NOTE: In step 3, I Assume that you have the built in Admin turned on and you said you have the password.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/47233-accidentaly-changed-admin-account-standard-user-account.html
Relevancy 76.97%

I ve just installed a new copy of Windows Ultimate By default the first user account as declared in windows setup is set at administrator level I want to run this main account as a standard user but when I went to change this in account settings the option to change the account to standard was greyed out I decided to enable the administrator account to change this hidden user, account Run account with standard as main admin computer management local Run main account as standard user, with admin account hidden users and groups un-ticked account is disabled I logged on as administrator then changed the main account to standard As the Administrator account is now enabled it shows on the welcome screen I don t want this I went back and disabled it running computer management as admin in the now standard account and re-ticked account is disabled technically this should be how it was before I touched it except the main account is now at standard user level rather than administrator level The problem i have now is when trying to run anything on the standard account that needs admin rights i get the UAC box asking to enter admin password which is blank but there is no administrator icon or password field and the yes button is greyed out How can I have my main account as standard user the administrator account not showing on welcome screen but allowing it admin to authorise actions on the standard account that required admin rights via UAC i e when UAC comes up I can click yes to run as administrator At the moment the correct process happens but yes is greyed out when the admin account is disabled When the admin account is enabled this works yes button not greyed out but the administrator account shows on the welcome screen which i don t want

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/482436/run-main-account-as-standard-user-with-admin-account-hidden/
Relevancy 76.97%

I have a set of folder I encrypted from my user account. I haven't figured out how to access them from my admin account.

In reverse, while logged on my admin account, I droppped some files into folder encrypted by my user account. I can't access those files when I log on as a user.

How can I get access to all my encrypted files regardless of which logon I use?

A:Access my user account encrypted files from my admin account?

Umm...if you could access encrypted files from another user that would remove the whole point of encrypting the files to begin with.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/180997-access-my-user-account-encrypted-files-my-admin-account.html
Relevancy 76.11%

I recently deleted a user account, and clicked yes to also delete all associated files...the user was successfully deleted, however, the user's folders/files remain, and cannot be deleted. Is it possible to associate that user's folder with a new user's login? If not, what needs to be done in order to delete the remaining user folder?

A:Deleted user account, but user folder was not deleted.

You will need to be signed on as a user that is part of the administrator account to delete the user account folder.

You can't associate the folder with a new user (well not easily) but you can copy the contents of documents, music etc to a new user.

So:

Sign on as an administratorCreate a new userSign on to the new user and sign offSign on as an administrator againCopy the data you want to the new users folderDelete the old user folder

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/52989-deleted-user-account-but-user-folder-not-deleted.html
Relevancy 76.11%

I have always been running admin and even until now I run as admin. But, I have been doing a little bit of research and realize that using a standard account is a safer practice. I have never even used a standard account. Is using a standard account a better practice? Also, how does doing average task such as installing programs and updating work through the standard user account?

A:Using default admin account vs standard user account

Its safer to always run programs with lower privileges, and run as administrator when needed. Personally, I like my UAC set to the max. Basically, it stops programs from messing with your PC without permission.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/192765-using-default-admin-account-vs-standard-user-account.html
Relevancy 76.11%

After installing windows home I logged in with whatever default account there is I then logged in with my Microsoft account to pull down some settings but then switched over to a local account so nothing else gets synced Things have since been working fine until this qualifies now in admin built the as user account account My morning Now for some My user account now qualifies as the built in admin account reason my user account is recognized as the built-in admin account My user account now qualifies as the built in admin account and I can not longer My user account now qualifies as the built in admin account run any of the modern apps that I downloaded or those that come preinstalled including edge the cmd command net users lists my account as the defaultAccount so at least that's consistent I have tried the solution offered here Settings can t be opened using the Built-in Administrator account in Windows - Super User to no success I am unable to begin the prompt to create a new user account located in settings gt accounts gt Family amp Other Users Which brings the to point of me having no idea what to do I can't create a new account to transition to I can't give my account the ability to run these apps which is preferred

A:My user account now qualifies as the built in admin account

Hi, press the win + r key's together in the run dialogue box type:- lusrmgr.msc press OK, expand Users find your account and right click, select properties, what is it a member of? Do you have other accounts?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f338/my-user-account-now-qualifies-as-the-built-in-admin-account-1115449.html
Relevancy 76.11%

hello every one
I was hoping if some one could help me at this.
I had created a local account in my machine which is a part of a small office network. and given it administrative rights. every once in a while the account gets downgraded to a limited user account and a I had to go all the way to control panel to reset the settings for that specific user account. I tried background check on the machine to check it for possible malware or virus infection but couldn't find anything.
could it be the user profile settings getting changed athomatically due several usages or could it be log file getting full or needs to be cleared?
so much in need for help

A:admin account gets downgraded to limited user account

possibly because that comp didnt come with Ultimate and when it re-activates, it uses the true Admin account and resets the others.

Roy

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/398805-admin-account-gets-downgraded-limited-user-account.html
Relevancy 76.11%

My computer was set up using a single user account with admin privileges and all apps have been installed. In order to minimize the virus threat I now want to create a user account without admin privileges, but be able to access all apps and itunes library that I have already installed using the admin account.

Please let me have a step by step method how I should set about doing this

My system : i3 windows 8.1 4GB RAM 500GB HD

Thankyou

A:How 2 transfer apps from Admin account to ltd user account

I'd go to Control Panel, Users Account and add a new Standard account. The new name only has to be one character different. The new account should be able to do most things but will be quite limited in making changes to the computer.
How Microsoft Overhauled User Accounts In Windows 8
I'd leave the existing account alone, should always have at least one that has administrative rights. There is an actual Administrator account but it is hidden on purpose.

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/59044-how-2-transfer-apps-admin-account-ltd-user-account.html
Relevancy 75.68%

Hello everyone At this point i'm in over my head and have a PC that has pictures I cannot lose I am usually fairly Admin Deleted help Account, good with PC stuff but I wanted to Deleted Admin Account, help stop before things got any worse if thats even possible at this point I have a WHS and was having problems accessing the share directory from my Office PC After some digging in google I found a link that I thought would fix my problem this Deleted Admin Account, help is where things started to get bad I thought the problem had something to do with the fact that I had two accounts on my office PC one named Mark and one named Guest I also have those same accounts on my WHS Every time I tried to log access the Shared directory Deleted Admin Account, help on my WHS it would constantly ask me for a name and password and the only one that worked is the main Administrator account set up on the WHS I found a link that told me to change the names of my accounts on my office PC to something different than the names of my quot Mark quot account that I have on my WHS At the time on the PC I had an account named guest with no admin privaleges and an account name Mark with admin privalges I used the line quot control userpasswords quot from the quot run quot box in Vista I made the guest account Admin and deleted the quot Mark quot account I then deleted the password on the Guest account I guess I must have accidentally checked the box that says users must log on with a name and password by mistake Now when I try to log onto my PC the default login name is quot Mark quot even though I deleted the account If I change my login name to quot Guest quot it tells me quot You cannot log on because the logon method you are using is not allowed on this computer Please see your network adminstrator for more information quot If I try to log in with quot Administrator quot it tells me quot Your account has been disabled Please see your system administrator quot So there is no password with the account quot Mark quot the account shouldnt even exist any more I can't log in with Guest or Administrator At this point all I care about is getting the pictures of my three month old child off the PC as they are the only place I have copies of them This whole thing was being done to get my WHS working properly to have backup copies of my photos now I have nothing Please please please help I cannot lose these photos I can't even get into safe mode with command prompt it keeps goes to the grahpical windows login even when I select that option

A:Deleted Admin Account, help

OK, we at the forum will give all the help that we can. Its Christmas time, too, so I will treat you as well as I can
First try with the hidden administrator
of you can access it
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/507-built-administrator-account-enable-disable.html?filter[2]=User Accounts
if not
Read this and understand before you try.
You will be installing another OS that will hopefully allow you access to the pics.
Try this also
Reset User Account Password
Not really meant for this situation, but you can try recuva.
I truly wish you my best.
Understand, after you get the pics a reinstall may be necessary. I know how bad you must feel, and Im sorry

Use Ubuntu Live CD to Backup Files from Your Dead Windows Computer - How-To Geek
When a computer is not working
The Ubuntu is a last step since if it does not work it may make things even more difficult.
I am currently researching alternative methods.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/286319-deleted-admin-account-help.html
Relevancy 75.68%

Hi all I'm new to this forum and in need of some help I have a new PC that I was getting ready for a customer of mine I booted up the PC and ran through the normal steps of setting up windows I went ahead and joined the PC to the domain After I joined the PC to the domain I tried to log into the PC locally with the admin account we use at work which admin account Deleted is received via GPO But for some reason it would not let me log in So I went ahead and logged into the machine using my credentials and ran gpupdate force To update the GPO's I logged out and tried our admin account again with no luck So I logged back in with my credentials and disjoined it Deleted admin account from our domain When we join machines to the domain it deletes all local profiles including locale admin profiles This is because of the GPO's we have in place So now the only account I can log in with is a temp account that has Deleted admin account no admin rights Is there a way to get a locale admin account on there without having to use the restore CD Also I've gone to users and groups under computer management to see if I can create an admin account but can't do anything because I have no rights Any help would be greatly appreciated Rod

A:Deleted admin account

Hi, there are tutorials within the community on how to enable a built in administrative user account. Hope this helps. Built-in Administrator Account - Enable or Disable

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/148399-deleted-admin-account.html
Relevancy 75.68%

I just installed windows on my new computer. (same as old computer, but with newer motherboard, but I decided to reformat, and do a clean install). Everything was fine for a couple days. I immediately disabled that annoying User thingy. The UAC?

When I was installing though, I created a username of "John". I guess it was the administrator.

Well, I was tired, and not paying attention, and just deleted it. Thinking that when I restarted, it would be just like normal, but it wouldn't have "John" as a user.

Nope. I restart it, and it's asking for a username/password. Which I had never created even for the "John" account.

Now what? whats the defualt username/password? I tried with nothing, and tried admin/admin with no luck.

A:I deleted the admin account.

Quote: Originally Posted by Hondajt

I just installed windows on my new computer. (same as old computer, but with newer motherboard, but I decided to reformat, and do a clean install). Everything was fine for a couple days. I immediately disabled that annoying User thingy. The UAC?

When I was installing though, I created a username of "John". I guess it was the administrator.

Well, I was tired, and not paying attention, and just deleted it. Thinking that when I restarted, it would be just like normal, but it wouldn't have "John" as a user.

Nope. I restart it, and it's asking for a username/password. Which I had never created even for the "John" account.

Now what? whats the defualt username/password? I tried with nothing, and tried admin/admin with no luck.

Hi and welcome

Do you have a backup we can restore from?

do you have the win 7 dvd so we can do a repair install?

If you have the win 7 dvd and can boot from itm we can enable the built in hidden administrator account.

let us know

Ken

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/60402-i-deleted-admin-account.html
Relevancy 75.68%

Please help !! I got a second hand Dell windows 7 laptop and I was trying to set up a new user account but I ended up deleting my administrator account. It lets me log in but when i do it says that I am logged in on a temporary profile. And every time i try and do anything the user account control comes up and my administrator username and password won't work. So my computer is pretty much useless ! Please help :(

A:I deleted my admin account

To make a new account with Administrative privileges:

> Reboot the computer
> when you see the black screen...
> Tap F8 repeatedly Until you see the black screen with white lettering
> Select (with your keyboard arrows) Safe Mode
> Hit enter

> The administrators screen should appear
> Click on and enter (no password is required)

Go to "start" button > Control panel > Users accounts > Click on "make new account".

From there you can make a new account with Administrator rights and password to protect it. Once done, log off.

follow the instructions above, but log in with "Normal Mode" instead of "Safe Mode"

You will see the new account appear and just log in. :)

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/i-deleted-my-admin-account-600560.html
Relevancy 75.68%

i didnt mean to but i deleted my admin account now i cant do anything i cant intall programs i cant download any games how do i get that account back im really not good with computers i need my admin account. help please

A:deleted admin account

Hi -

Boot into the Vista recovery partition (usually the F10 key during boot-up will invoke it) or use your Vista DVD to boot up and choose the selection for Windows System Restore.

Upon re-start see if the Administrator account is present.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/deleted-admin-account-403173.html
Relevancy 75.68%

I deleted my admin account, but still have guest and I can't do anything, because it asks for admin password, and there is also no text box to type it in. so I tried to make the guest admin but I must type in admin password (which is impossible)

A:deleted admin account

why would you delete the admin account in the first place
I think windows may have made guest an admin in response.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/deleted-admin-account-671757.html
Relevancy 75.68%

I deleted my admin account and now using guest account but i can't make a new admin account. Whenever i type in a name is says, The specified account name is not valid, because account names cannot contain charachters: . So i tried running cmd as an administrator then typed: net user administrator /active yes and no matter how or what i do i keep getting denied and i really need to make an admin account some programsi still cant run and projects i cant do even if i right click an d run as an administrator. So can somebody please help me.

A:deleted admin account need admin account

Specified account name is not valid because of invalid characters

You can't use some characters in account names.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/281502-deleted-admin-account-need-admin-account.html
Relevancy 75.25%

I have two accounts on my XP laptop Changing Administrator To Account? Problems Account Normal User I have the Administrator account and a regular User account I had to do some administrative work with my User account so I logged in as the Administrator changed my User account Problems Changing Administrator Account To Normal User Account? to an Administrator account went and did my work I then logged back in as Administrator and tried to Problems Changing Administrator Account To Normal User Account? change my User Problems Changing Administrator Account To Normal User Account? account back to a normal user account but it wouldn t let me telling me that I have to have at least Administrator account for me to be able to do this I m not sure why it s telling me that because I still have my Administrator account I logged in as Administrator then went into Control Panel and then User Accounts Then I clicked on quot Change An Account quot Then I clicked on quot User quot Then I clicked on quot Change My Account Type quot But then on this page the quot Limited quot radio button is grayed out and I cannot change it and above it it says quot You must assign another user on this computer with a computer administrator account before you can change this user s account type This ensures that there is always at least one user with a computer administrator account on this computer quot Don t know why I m getting this seeing as how I m logged in as Administrator

A:Problems Changing Administrator Account To Normal User Account?

Nevermind. I figured out how to fix it. Instead of going through Control Panel->User Accounts, I go to Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Computer Management, and I'm able to make the change through there. Not sure why one method works and the other doesn't, but it does!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/93998/problems-changing-administrator-account-to-normal-user-account/
Relevancy 74.82%

I KNOW IM A DUMBA**- but a curious one...how do you get your administrative account back if you changed it to restricted? is that even possible? i cant do/download anything now!

A:windowsXP deleted ADMIN account

Restart the computer and start tapping F8 once per second after the POST beep until you get a boot options menu.
Choose safe mode
If you have not password protected this hidden account leave the password blank ; otherwise enter the password you gave to it.
Then go and change your account back (start / run => type control userpasswords2 (select your account, choose properties, choose group membership , change to other/ administrators)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windowsxp-deleted-admin-account.772344/
Relevancy 74.82%

Hello,

My girlfriend set up an admin account to block certain websites from me. I idiotically deleted that admin account. Now I am unable to do literally anything without permission from a nonexistent account. Every time I try to run ANYTHING, it grays out the "yes" option and tells me I need to enter the administrator password. I can't even run the command prompt as an admin. When I try to do the "net user administrator /active:no" command, it gives me a system 5 error. I can't restore to a time before she ever made the admin account because it needs permission. I can't reinstall Windows because to run the tool to make a bootable USB, I need permission. And there is NO ACCOUNT to get permission from anymore. I have no idea what to do. Someone please, please help me.

Thank you.

A:Deleted admin account and now have no permission to do anything!!!!!

Hello petitejete,

You will find many threads where this problem has occurred. The only way you can resolve this is to activate the hidden Administrator account and use it to create a new admin account on your system. This will then give you back the ability you had before. The only way you can do this is to run Option 4 in the following tutorial. You will need to use the Microsoft Tech Bench rather than the Media Creation Tool to download a Windows ISO that matches your current W10 version.

Administrator account - Enable or Disable in Windows 10

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/42427-deleted-admin-account-now-have-no-permission-do-anything.html
Relevancy 74.82%

I was trying to remove the password from my administrative account. But by mistake I deleted the administrative account. So now I am unable to do lot of actiivities on my computer which requires administrative rights. When I go in control panel user account. It shows me only one account which Is unlimited. I tried to restore my system in back date. But I don?t know why for some reason I could?t restored it either. So could anybody please tell me how can I restore my administrative account back.. I don?t want to restore my system. Is there any other option ?? please suggest.
Thanks

A:deleted admin account by mistake

Right click the My Computer icon and select manage.
Click on the + next to local users and groups. Double click the users folder.
Double click the administrator. Make sure the disable account is unchecked.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/deleted-admin-account-by-mistake-143567.html
Relevancy 74.82%

I have no idea where I got the bright idea It started off I m just going to change the Admin password That didnt sound Solved: Log I Admin On! Account ! HELP! Deleted Now Cant like anything dangerous Went smoothly the change was accepted and confirmed Hmmmm thenafter browsing around I came up with a better idea Ill just delete the account and create a new one Not a big deal right I hesitated for a second when it it said that the user would no longer be able to log in Solved: HELP! Deleted Admin Account ! Now I Cant Log On! if account was deleted But I was just going to create another so i preceeded Problem came in when it wouldnt let me create another It kept saying that the new profile name i was trying to make was not a part of Solved: HELP! Deleted Admin Account ! Now I Cant Log On! the old deleted Admins domain or something like that I restarted the comp w o creating account Did i mention that there were no other user accounts just the one When the comp rebooted i went to login screen it still had old Admin name there I tried original password didnt work Tried the password i had successfully changed it to didnt work either I clicked on switch User there was another icon named other user Clicked on it two blanks one for user name other password I have tried everything that my comp illiterate mind could come up with as a possible solution No luck Please HELP nbsp

Relevancy 74.82%

Dweeb alert There was a Deleted account D'oh! on Solved: Admin XP!! quot guest quot Account and an account that said quot Owner quot No quot Administrator quot account I bought this as a quot beater quot PC to keep in the rec room storage for Solved: D'oh! Deleted Admin account on XP!! pics tunes and games etc It was a used PC from a Dell repair shop in quot original working order quot and I m starting to wonder if the guy that worked there didn t use it Solved: D'oh! Deleted Admin account on XP!! for target practice with his programming gun gt lt Anyhow our -year-old-going-on- thought she would start chatting with classmates after we went to bed and a-HA Busted So I in all my finite wisdom thought I would get the best of the situation and delete all user accounts and put in a fresh Admin password I Was Wrong I triumphantly deleted the account labeled quot Owner quot thinking the pc would default to quot Administrator quot login screen if not bypassing the Welcome Screen altogether So I rebooted and much to my chagrin the Welcome Screen showed up alright but with NO USERS to click on Nothing No quot Guest quot no quot User quot No quot Owner quot and no quot Administrator quot - the entire right side of the Welcome Screen is a BLANK quot list quot So I pulled ye olde quot Ctrl-Alt-Del quot x and got a prompt that in the user name blank said quot Owner quot so I left it blank and wait for it nothing Well that is nothing but a logon message that reads quot The system could not log you on Make sure your user name and domain are correct then type your password again Letters in passwords must be typed using the correct case quot My best guess is that there is an unknown password of some sort and that the default quot Administrator quot account was renamed to quot Owner quot I have gigs of Fleetwood Mac Pink Floyd and The Eagles on there not to mention my one-hit-wonder collection Yes I am that much of a dork Oh and gigs of family photos gt gt Disclaimer The above list is not necessarily in any specific order Any suggestions Windows XP with SP G hard drive G ram k Gforce something or other I think nbsp

Relevancy 74.39%

Hello all I need some guidance please I have a chess software program that I installed on my not account but account... run party SW User 3rd in Admin will Admin user account for W bit OS The program is a bit older and would not run after installation on my W OS After I went into the properties and compatibility mode and selected the option to run as if my OS was Windows XP Service Pack then the program started running and working great My 3rd party SW will run in Admin account but not User account... problem is that if I use a different User Account other than admin and try to run the program it gives me an error message and won't start I also selected 3rd party SW will run in Admin account but not User account... the compatibility mode for Windows XP SP in the other user account but it didn't help Finally I went to Control Panel - Programs and Features with the thought to try to uninstall and reinstall the program and the chess program isn't even listed with my other installed programs and yet it still runs just fine on my Admin account Any guidance or thoughts on this matter would be most appreciated Regards Gavin

A:3rd party SW will run in Admin account but not User account...

Welcome
Gavin, did you give permission to the other user to use the game
Permissions - Allow or Deny Users and Groups

You may also want to have it run as adminstrastor, when in the none adminstrator account
Run as Administrator

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/150798-3rd-party-sw-will-run-admin-account-but-not-user-account.html
Relevancy 74.39%

Hi Folks,  i like to use on demand scanners alongside my regular AV and i do this when i'm in my Admin account,  now when i go to my user account do i need to do the scans for it as well ?

Thanks

A:Question about Admin account and user account

This might be of interest: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/198067/anti-malware-scan-on-a-computer-with-different-users/

Regards.....................

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/502482/question-about-admin-account-and-user-account/
Relevancy 74.39%

I'm not sure if this is in the right forum, or even if this is possible, but...

Is there any possible way to make it so that my normal account can be transformed into an administrator account?

In order to make one of my games function properly, I need to enter the task manager and set the affinity so that the game uses 1 core to operate. In order to do this, I have to run the application, switch user accounts (from mine to the admin), set the affinity there, then switch back.

It gives me no option to apply administrative settings when I try to set the affinity on my main account, it just tells me I can't.

Any help would be great, thanks!

A:Making User Account into Admin Account

Quote: Originally Posted by StevenBonnellII

I'm not sure if this is in the right forum, or even if this is possible, but...

Is there any possible way to make it so that my normal account can be transformed into an administrator account?

In order to make one of my games function properly, I need to enter the task manager and set the affinity so that the game uses 1 core to operate. In order to do this, I have to run the application, switch user accounts (from mine to the admin), set the affinity there, then switch back.

It gives me no option to apply administrative settings when I try to set the affinity on my main account, it just tells me I can't.

Any help would be great, thanks!

Hi ans welcome to seven forums

Why not either run as admin all the time, or Run with elevated rughts? There is even a tutorial on how to run elevated rights in the tutorial section here on SF

Ken

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/22850-making-user-account-into-admin-account.html
Relevancy 73.96%

- - USA Greetings As a newbie this is my second post AND a new issue And one that def qualifies me the right to call myself quot windummy quot up here in BC My first post involved explaining about getting whacked by WIN RECOVERY virus and HOW I was able to fix some things---but not all etc I ve yet to get a reply Prob because I listed too many associations to that problem However one of the probs was inability to manually update my XP Pro SP The error code for that is x A Also SR is turned off by initial virus attack and impossible to turn Pro accidentally Member > Account Management XP of tab. in Restore removed Computer User back on or off via roll back options through My Computer icon right click gt Properties gt Tools gt System Restore I was advised Restore XP Pro User Account accidentally removed in Computer Management > Member of tab. by my retail tech to remove tool bar and re-install IE- again My main browser is firefox I Use IE- only for MS updates as separate browser The x A error code in manual win updates still appeared as before So THIS is what I did in their knowledge Base Article suggestions regarding this code error as follows please click a o URL copy paste http www update microsoft com microsoftupdate v showarticle aspx articleid amp ln en amp IsMu TrueTo make things shorter they provide x solutions The first did not work Where I discovered Administrative Tools icon was missing from Start All Progs icon list is where my life ended I knew I could access this tool through Control Panel a o C All Programs and did so to follow instructions by Microsoft Please remove the user account experiencing difficulty from the Guests or Limited user account Click Start Click Settings Click Control Panel Select Administrative Tools Choose Computer Management Expand Local Users and Groups Select Users Open the account used to access Windows Update Click the Member Of tab Highlight the user account you want to remove and click Remove By removing quot user account quot from Member Of tab my PC defaults to Administrator with no pass word needed for log on You know the rest Tons of things missing and also files and short cuts on my usual desktop display I spent hours researching and trying all that safe mode stuff and pecking at Ctrl gt Alt gt Delete twice and all that In My Docs amp Setting folder a file folder with my nickname cannot be opened and says quot Not Accesible access denied quot So in closing everything seems gone I have back up and that s fine but the original desktop My Pictures My music shortcuts download folders etc all gone or just hidden somewhere else I can t roll back because of SR issue mentioned How screwed am I here My original user account name and password should be around somewhere Right It s a nightmare reading google search remedies about all this etc That s basically it HOW CAN I RECOVER A REMOVED USER ACCOUNT AND PASS WORD To get things back as before Thanks Re MH

A:Restore XP Pro User Account accidentally removed in Computer Management > Member of tab.

Just a clarification.Your first topic/post was made 26 Apr in the wrong forum. You posted your comments in the Malware Removal Logs forum...you did not submit any logs, so the post did not belong there. Turnaround for topics in that forum is currently 7-8 days...so it's probably a good thing that you made this second post or your topic would have remained needlessly in the wrong forum.I just moved your post to the appropriate forum, your topic is http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic393718.html/page__p__2221926#entry2221926 .Since you have an open thread/topic concerning a possibly infected system...I suggest that you not explore any other apparent issues on that system until the topic listed above is concluded.Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/394423/restore-xp-pro-user-account-accidentally-removed-in-computer-management-member-of-tab/
Relevancy 73.96%

OK I have a problem here that is driving me utterly insane I've recently had a problem with another computer in the household being used by another user I don't know how exactly he accomplished this but this user has apparently created another admin account on the computer which he then deleted via Administrative Tools gt Computer Management gt Local Users and Groups The problem is there are folders and files that apparently belonged to the deceased account that can not be removed - I am given an quot Access Denied quot message whenever I try to view the folder in question I don't know terribly much about this and he seems to be as incognizant of what exactly he has accomplished I need to find some way to remove all these folders belonging to the extinct administrator account The aforementioned user who caused all of this has suggested formatting the hard drive completely the practicality and merit of which I doubt particularly since a reinstall of Windows will invalidate the license

A:Inaccessible files from deleted admin account

Why would a re-install invalidate the license?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/inaccessible-files-from-deleted-admin-account-245885.html
Relevancy 73.96%

Ive accidentaly deleted/disabled admin account throught standart user.
Now I cant get it back, so I cant run anything which needs admin right, even enabling admin account
What now? I wanted to format partition and install windows again, but another problem, I get error that windows install process cannot find drivers for my dvd rom! LOL! but windows was already booted from that dvd. wtf. please help

A:Ive accidentaly deleted/disabled admin account

There is no way you made any change to the admin account if you were only logged in as a standard user. Please explain.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/41374-ive-accidentaly-deleted-disabled-admin-account.html
Relevancy 73.96%

Here is my dilemma I only had one account on my Windows Pro Update x computer Then I messed it up when I account 8.1 restore? How to admin in Win update. Deleted changed rights Now the computer boots up and I can log Deleted admin account in Win 8.1 update. How to restore? in but as a user Most of the suggestions I read require admin rights which I no longer have I can't create a new account or edit the built-in admin account but I keep getting the error So I need some help with this Should I try to boot in safe mode with DOS prompt and hopefully admin rights Would a system restore work I do have recent restore points but will I be able to restore if I am not the administrator I am asking all of this because I am not in front of my computer at this moment I had to leave on a business trip so I will attempt repairs when I get back home Worst case scenario will require me to start from scratch which I am trying to avoid I know that I am not the first nor will I be the last to do something stupid like I did but I chalk it up to a learning experience sigh I also saw that many of the suggestions failed with no follow up posts pity I know that some of you were in exactly the same predicament as me so I am seeking help from those of you who experienced this AND found the solution Crossing my fingers

A:Deleted admin account in Win 8.1 update. How to restore?

Hello Flashfox, and welcome to Eight Forums.

When you do not have another administrator account to sign in to, then you could try one of the following options below to enable the built-in Administrator account to sign in to and use..

A) Boot into safe mode, enable the built-in Administrator, sign out, and sign in to Administrator.

OR

B) Open a command prompt at boot, enable the built-in Administrator, restart the PC, and sign in to Administrator.

If you are not able to, then you'll need to reinstall Windows.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/47747-deleted-admin-account-win-8-1-update-how-restore.html
Relevancy 73.96%

I recently got a Windows 8 HP Sleekbook and accidently deleted my own microsoft Admin user account.Now I can login through the standard user account but cannot do the administrator stuff.Can you please tell me what to do?

A:Accidently deleted my Microsoft Admin account

I did that, accidentally doing some testing, and the only way I found to get it back was reinstall Windows. Fortunately I had a full Macrium backup and was able to restore back to the date the backup was created (about a week earlier).

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/30611-accidently-deleted-my-microsoft-admin-account.html
Relevancy 73.96%

Here's the story:
I had an Acer Windows 8.
I updated to Windows 8.1.
Tried to download a game(Minecraft).
UAC popped up(With only a NO option).
The YES was greyed out.
I went to User Accounts, but I'm the only user there(Guest account).
I need my admin account back!
I can't open anything as admin(including CMD).
I can't do anything that needs administrator privileges.
Is there a way to fix this?
All I have is one computer, and a 32GB flash drive(I don't know how to use it).
Please teach me how to fix this.
I also don't want to lose any files, apps, settings, or anything like that.
I just want my admin account back.
I can't even enable the built in admin account(I don't know why).

Thanks so much.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/58976-windows-8-1-update-deleted-my-admin-account.html
Relevancy 73.96%

OK I have a problem here that is driving me utterly insane I ve recently had a problem with another admin Inaccessible deleted from files account computer in the household being used by another user I don t know how exactly he accomplished this but this user has apparently created another admin account on the computer which he then deleted via Administrative Tools gt Computer Inaccessible files from deleted admin account Management gt Local Users and Groups The problem is there are folders and files that apparently belonged to the deceased account that can not be removed - I am given an quot Access Denied quot message whenever I try to view the folder in question I don t know terribly much about this and he seems to be as incognizant of what exactly he has accomplished I need to find some way to remove all these folders belonging to the extinct administrator account The aforementioned user who caused all of this has suggested formatting the hard drive completely the practicality and merit of which I doubt particularly since a reinstall of Windows will invalidate the license nbsp

Relevancy 73.96%

I deleted the previous user account on a laptop given to me by my friend (Joanne) and changed it to a new name (Serena). This seemed to work and when when I login it is with the new username. However there seems to be contradicting info about user accounts on my pc. The first screenshot shows my current username but the second screenshot is not showing my current usernames and all files appear to have the old username. I keep trying to delete the files associated with the old account but cannot do so. Can anyone help?

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/46820-deleted-user-account-but-cannot-delete-all-user-files.html
Relevancy 73.53%

Is it possible to change local administrator account names on PCs across a network to a uniform name by running a login script? I'm pretty sure it is possible, but I really need to know where I could find such a script.

TIA,

roto

A:Script for changing local admin account name?

Are all these windows machines? Or are you running in a mixed environment? Is this a workgroup or domain environment? Are the machines running a remote control client (Altiris, ZenWorks, etc.) of some kind?

Do you actually need to rename the account? Or are you just looking for a standard local admin account?

If it is a Windows environment I'd recommend you write a script that creates a user on the local machine, assigns the user to the local administrators group, and creates a password for the new account. Next, have the script disable the local administrator account. Run the script against all the machines on the network and you're there.

This would be a great intro to WMI scripting and Microsoft's script-o-matic would get you started.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/script-for-changing-local-admin-account-name.364074/
Relevancy 73.53%

I realize when I log in as administrator I can only change the power options of that admin account. If a non-admin user tries to change power options access is denied. So how do I change the power options for a non-administrator account?

A:Changing power options for a non-admin account

Windows 7 ultimate or higher or Windows XP PRO? Xp Pro it might be achieved using the group policy editor.

If you don't have a pro version of Windows it has to be done through the registry which is very tricky. If you do not know how to use the Windows registry or feel confident to it can be risky.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/changing-power-options-for-a-non-admin-account-840138.html
Relevancy 73.53%

Hello,

I installed Windows 8.1 two days ago and have set up two accounts, one Administrator tied to Microsoft and one local Standard account. For some reason, the Standard account keeps on changing its account type by itself to have full administrative rights. Any idea on how to fix this?

Also, do you think I even need two accounts? I am the sole user of this PC. Do you think I could just use the Admin account? Thank you!

A:Standard account changing back to Admin on its own

Hey mate,

For your last question, I usually use a standard [Microsoft] account, where I do all my work. The admin account lies dormant, until I need to install anything on it. I just install from my standard account, using the Admin account info when needed.
[Edit] The reason I do this is to add another layer of protection, to prevent malware access to the Admin account [/Edit]

For the first problem, you might try creating the two accounts over again, and delete the old ones. Make sure you have all important and recommended updates installed from control panel, and an antivirus (Either the built-in Defender or another you trust).

Let me know if this doesn't work for you, and I'll offer more advice. Take care.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/57331-standard-account-changing-back-admin-its-own.html
Relevancy 73.53%

Hi guys.

Windows 8 screwed up my old user account so I had to transfer to a new one. Unfortunately that new one was named after my email address for some reason as I logged on as a microsoft account rather than a local one. Hence in my computer its called users/email_000

This is very annoying.

I've read tutorials on this from other versions of windows ie. here : User Profile Folder - Change User Account Folder Name - Windows 7 Forums

However it doesn't work for Windows 8. When I try one of the earliest steps (renaming the user folder itself) I cant do it as its 'open in another program' even though that User is not logged on.

Any workarounds? Ive created another admin local user, to no avail.

Thanks for your help!

A:CHANGING User Account Folder names as well as User Name

Hello Chookyman, and welcome to Eight Forums.

The best method to do this is to create a new user account with the name you want, make it an administrator account type or leave as a standard user, sign out, sign in to the new account, then delete the old account.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/11333-changing-user-account-folder-names-well-user-name.html
Relevancy 73.1%

Edit Because my parents were prepared to get a new computer I dug out the Vista install disc and did a complete reinstallation The virus is gone and extra measures have been taken to make sure my brother doesn t do this a fifth time My computer is running Windows Vista Home Premium on a Dell Inspiron and recently a quot Vista Security quot virus has made its way onto the computer It has evaded all of my attempts to remove it the god-awful McAffee found nothing in a full scan disabling what I Windows deleted, deactivated seemingly account Admin thought triggered it at startup through MSconfig exe did nothing deleting all temp data with CCleaner and everything I could find that could be related to the virus did nothing and quot efe exe quot --the virus itself--is not in AppData Local like Windows Task Manager says it is Internet access is blocked with a pop-up saying that both IE and Opera are infected I may have found a way around this but it may be too late After all my attempts at removal in Safe Mode I booted it up regularly hoping I could get around the block by typing a URL into the Windows Explorer address bar but instead of presenting me with the log-in screen I met a black screen asking me to revalidate my Windows installation because quot something changed quot I tried using Dell s built-in factory restore after this but after a long quot Please Wait quot screen the admin account was inaccessible the only option was quot Other User quot and my attempts at logging in through it failed as it told me something like quot The domain could not be found or does not exist quot I haven t tried running the computer since then and my Google searches have turned up little in removing this I m stumped I can t wirelessly send the infected computer anything nor use a USB flash drive as I don t have one What do I do PS I don t know where the Vista install disk is if it even came with one We got this computer years ago before I knew anything about computers so a complete reinstall may be out of the question PPS While I couldn t find the Admin account deleted, Windows seemingly deactivated virus itself in AppData Local I did find a cache file that it made every time it popped up Edit Did not see the other board down there the first time I looked through despite the obvious red text Please forgive me Edit Thanks for moving this Budapest

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/399844/admin-account-deleted-windows-seemingly-deactivated/
Relevancy 73.1%

Alright maybe someone can help me & of out folder admin deleted Doc Locked of Settings account My computer crashed during a Windows Update installation btw while Locked out of Doc & Settings folder of deleted admin account on my main administrative account I have two other accounts on the computer one for my wife and one for my son When I was forced to re-install windows and start a new administrative account and lossing all the other accounts the files and documents which are within quot My Documents quot of my wife and son where saved in their quot Documents and Settings quot folders I can access these non-administrative accounts folders easily and everything there before the crash is still there Unfortunatly I can not access the folder which was mine When I click on the folder containing a ton of pictures and writings - some but not all of which is backed up this message comes up quot C Documents and Settings Michael is not Locked out of Doc & Settings folder of deleted admin account accessable Access is denied quot I apparently deleted this account in the re-instalation and because it was the administrative account and or open at the time of the crash it is either locked up or deleted When I right click on the folder to see Properties it tells me there are quot size bytes files folders quot But I am not sure that is truly the case due to the amount of space still being used on the hard drive C I think it is not telling me anything because it is was a quot private quot administrative account I had no password on this account I don t think all the documents are deleted as when I look at the amount of space on the hard drive it is obvious that there is still a ton of information on it most of which was in my own quot My Documents quot folder and subfolders So how can I get around being locked out of this folder The revisions to my book as well as an article I have been working on are in this unaccessable folder and aren t backed up As well as all the photos I had taken since November of last year which is quite a few Help me here in PM or through email protected If we need to talk by phone to walk me through it we ll work that out as well If I get back into these folder I will be so incredibly greatful Thanks Michael nbsp

Relevancy 73.1%

Hello, I had a hard drive crash and I installed a new hdd and a new larger sdd. The sdd had the OS on it and I created a system image. I installed the new sdd and loaded the system image. At some point I created a new admin account and deleted the old admin account. If I go to the profilelist that old admin account is not listed however it shows I have processes running in the new admin account (which has a different name).

If I try to end the processes it says "access denied"? Not sure how to fix it.

A:Created new admin account, deleted old but processes running under old

Is the old user account listed in C:\Users?

Open up a command prompt . Click on type cmd in Search programs and files and press [ENTER]

Type in this command below

Code:
WMIC USERACCOUNT GET NAME,SID

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/285094-created-new-admin-account-deleted-old-but-processes-running-under-old.html
Relevancy 73.1%

Ok So basically I was on my regular Big Deleted [moved from xp]Help!!!!!!!!!!! Account Think Admin Very Problem, Pleae I account I made my mom an account for bills and what not that was basically a second admin account So i went on mine updated my security for McAfee got home turned on computer and the main admin account my account isnt there it just goes to my moms account randomly no accidental or anything i dont think but i got my music when i search computer from the account by anything else i cannot Very Big Problem, Admin Account Deleted I Think Pleae [moved from xp]Help!!!!!!!!!!! find like pictures and what no PLEASE HELP Heres a HiJackThis log if it helps at all Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS ehome ehtray exe C Program Files Digital Media Reader shwiconem exe C Program Files Gateway GWCares GWCares exe C Program Files CyberLink PowerDVD PDVDServ exe C Program Files Realtek InstallShield AzMixerSel exe C WINDOWS system hkcmd exe C WINDOWS system igfxpers exe C Program Files McAfee com VSO oasclnt exe C PROGRA mcafee com agent mcagent exe C PROGRA McAfee SPAMKI MskAgent exe C PROGRA mcafee com vso mcvsshld exe C PROGRA McAfee com PERSON MpfTray exe C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C WINDOWS RTHDCPL EXE C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe C PROGRA McAfee com Agent mcregwiz exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files AIM aim exe C Program Files BigFix BigFix exe C Program Files Logitech SetPoint SetPoint exe C Documents and Settings All Users Start Menu Programs Startup taskmgr exe c progra mcafee com vso mcvsescn exe c program files mcafee com shared mghtml exe C Program Files AIM aolsoftware exe C PROGRA McAfee com PERSON MpfAgent exe C Program Files Common Files Logitech KHAL KHALMNPR EXE C WINDOWS eHome ehRecvr exe C WINDOWS eHome ehSched exe c program files mcafee com agent mcdetect exe c PROGRA mcafee com vso mcshield exe c PROGRA mcafee com agent mctskshd exe C PROGRA McAfee SPAMKI MSKSrvr exe C Program Files Common Files New Boundary PrismXL PRISMXL SYS C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files iPod bin iPodService exe C PROGRA McAfee com PERSON MpfService exe C WINDOWS system dllhost exe C WINDOWS eHome ehmsas exe C Program Files limewire limewire exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C DOCUME Nikki LOCALS Temp Rar EX HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www yahoo com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId O - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO McBrwHelper Class - B AA -DAF - -BD D- F BCB E - c program files mcafee com mps mcbrhlpr dll O - BHO McAfee PopupKiller - EC F-E - cae- B B-B C A - c program files mcafee com mps popupkiller dll O - BHO SSVHelper Class - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - Toolbar McAfee VirusScan - BA B -B - c -B - F F - c progra mcafee com vso mcvsshl dll O - HKLM Run ehTray C WINDOWS ehome ehtray exe O - HKLM Run NeroFilterCheck C WINDOWS system NeroCheck exe O - HKLM Run SunKistEM C Program Files Digital Media Reader shwiconem exe O - HKLM Run Gateway Extended Warranty quot C Program Files Gateway GWCares GWCares exe quot O - HKLM Run Recguard WINDIR SMINST RECGUARD EXE O - HKLM Run RemoteControl quot C Program Files CyberLink PowerDVD PDVDServ exe quot O - HKLM Run High Definition Audio Property Page Shortcut HDAShCut exe O - HKLM Run AzMixer... Read more

A:Very Big Problem, Admin Account Deleted I Think Pleae [moved from xp]Help!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi

We don't deal with HJT and computer cleaning in this section on the forum -- that you'll find in the HJT section, top left on the main index page.

Onto your account now.. when you login to your account on startup, is that automatic i.e. no username/password asked or do you have to choose who to login as and the password?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/very-big-problem-admin-account-deleted-i-think-pleae-moved-from-xp-help-142502.html
Relevancy 72.67%

i got a new samsung netbook windows7. when i tried changing my wallpaper using regedit i cannot access anymore my admin account because there is a blank screen only (black).i cannot use the samsung recovery solution using guest account.please help me.thank you

A:problem entering my admin account when i tried changing my wallpaper

Did you create a registry back up before tampering with it? Why on earth are you editing the registry just to change a wallpaper? A very dangerous thing to do!

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/245957-problem-entering-my-admin-account-when-i-tried-changing-my-wallpaper.html
Relevancy 72.67%

Hi
Is there a way to disable network setting changing with administrator account?
making account as limited user will not do the trick user must remain as administrator. local security policies? registry? any idea?

A:Prevent network setting changing with admin account?

Have a look at making them a power user, rather then an administrator. Then apply your group policy and it should do the trick.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/prevent-network-setting-changing-with-admin-account-518257.html
Relevancy 72.24%

I shut down my two comps during a tornado, and when I turned one back on, it said my account was "locked" and when i restarted, it didn't even show up on the list of users. Now all of my programs and settings for that account are missing, including valuable documents. I've searched the hard drive under all users, and did a system restore with no luck. Can anyone help me out?!

Computer Specs:
pentium 4/2.66ghz
120g hd
512 memory
Windows XP pro.
Sound Blaster Live
NVidia FX 5200
1 cdw, 1dvd
no floppy
Dell Dimension 4600

Let me know if you need more info

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/unplugged-cable-modem-router-now-my-admin-account-is-deleted.223303/
Relevancy 72.24%

Hello all,

I deleted the default admin account in Windows 7 (home premium) but this caused a problem:

The main admin account was very slow in my windows, I create new account and I convert it to admin account then I tried to delete the default main account, and It was permanently deleted, but it caused a problem because I can not do some actions like defrag and another actions, also I can't create new account (through the new admin account), It seems like it is not admin account but when I open the control panel I can find it is admin account!

My windows 7 is original but I don't have the CD because it came with the laptop as a whole package, anyone can help me in this problem please?

Thanks

A:I deleted the default admin account in Windows 7 but this caused a problem

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i-deleted-the-default-admin-account-in-windows-7-but-this-caused-a-problem.1134284/
Relevancy 72.24%

Hello Everyone I made a HUGE mistake today I was configuring puters at a time amp accidently made the only admin account into a limited account At first I swear I remember seeing the at least one other account that was an admin but I guess not The login screen is a bit wierd Account XP User Admin in as well Instead of it being the new xp screen with the users Admin User Account in XP icon it has the old version with the window asking for the username amp password I tried to enter the UN in that I thought I remember seeing amp a variety of possible passwords but nada My questions are is it possible to reverse the limited restrictions on the formerly admin account without any other admin account This seems unlikely but I guess there has to Admin User Account in XP be a way right GOD I hioe there is a way If there really is another admin account it seems unlikely that windows would allow the only account to be changed to limited access then how can I recoup the forgotten password I didnt make a passwords disks I am in a super jam here folx so if any mad scientist out there can help mw out I would forever be greatful Thanks in advance peace rusia nbsp

Relevancy 72.24%

Hello everyone,

I'm new to Vista, but want to create another user account so that I'm not using my Admin account. It seems that this is suggested by Microsoft as it's safer.

I have all my programs installed and now I want to create a user account without admin rights that has all the settings, look and feel etc that I have set up with my admin account.

Can I copy the admin account and then just turn off admin rights? or is there some other way of doing this?

Thanks for the help and your time.

All the best to you,

Glen

A:Non-Admin User Account

Click Start>Control Panel>User Accounts>Manage another account>Create a new account.Hope this is what you were looking for.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/non-admin-user-account.739950/
Relevancy 72.24%

I have a big problem; can any one help.
I have two reg user accounts and i changed one to an administrator account that I didn't want to use regularly, but when I try to do certain things it ask for a password, but when I put my password in it says "wrong password' or something like that. I know that is the right password; so I try in safe mode it say "The user has not been granted the requested login type at this computer. Also the account that I created will not show up when I restart my computer, so I can't login using that account.
Can someone please Help

A:Admin user account

Welcome

Try getting in with safe mode

Then try to access the hidden administrator.
Administrator Account

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/270687-admin-user-account.html
Relevancy 71.81%

Hello staff and getting admin Changing user...and to stay changed. it all others I know you probably answered this somewhere but humor me please Besides I keep reading that what works for some pcs won t work for others Recently my employer gave Changing admin user...and getting it to stay changed. me a pc when we transitioned to home-office work hours and told me it was ok to customize it as it would be mine from now on Here s the problem It s an old IBM Thinkcentre with win xp pro installed pentium with svc pk III i believe The log-on screen has a box where my boss s name and pw come up and all i have to do is click to get on I ve tried repeadedly to change HIS name to MINE as the admin Changing admin user...and getting it to stay changed. user account but it keeps reverting back Changing admin user...and getting it to stay changed. to his I followed the directions to fix this which for I searched and found on another tech site sorry tech guy which was supposed to be done but that didn t happen or I woudn t be writing this Despite being given three different access points on the pc in order to get this task done it continues to boot up with HIS name and HIS password automatically configuered I don t want to lose all access to this pc so I m trying to be careful here Oh yeaah I ve heard nightmarish stories of folks who changed admin priveledges parent child rights amp permissions and user groups and network access blah blah and suffered horrendous complications afterward Like me they didn t jack and didn t bother to ask anyone With all that said can some one anyone everyone provide a step by step guide to help me into customizing this pc for my very own I m sick of seeing his the boss s name come up on all the temporary files and cleaning scans IT S MINE NOW Please include any all precautionary steps like back-up restore point safe mode entry or otherwise helpful steps ok I dont have an external back-up source and personally I think its stupid anyway to put the whole pc s files on line somewhere One other note His antivirus amp his windows software programs all were installed from discs that he bought which means I won t even have access to those programs once we do this admin thing or is that not something to be worried about at all PS I m pretty familiar with my own DELL and HP pcs with both home edition installed on one and pro on the other but again this IBM has all kinds of stuff on it with a harddrive capacity of gigs total and I don t know what to delete and what to save as I don t need hardly any of it including the antivirus and if necessary the windows suite of programs Any suggestions of what to do with all the files let me know PSS no tsg guide was submitted posted as I m not writing to you while on that pc gc nbsp

A:Changing admin user...and getting it to stay changed.

The best thing to do is to create a new admin account and then copy the profile from the old one to your new one. Then you can delete his account completely. Changing its name will prove to be an endless job with side-effects.

How To Copy A User Profile

Once copied over, the new account should look and act just like the old one with the new name. Registered and installed programs, either for the machine or just the specific user, should all work as before.

Always have a full system backup, as recent as possible. It's also a good idea to make a full backup when you first get the machine, and possibly save it on DVD, so that you can restore everything when the hard drive fails.

Free drive backup software (imaging, cloning, and archiving - backups can be created on a second hard drive, internal or external, or on DVD's, or BluRay disks. One BluRay disk will hold most peoples' entire system drive's backup at 25 GB's using compressed images, 50 GB's double-layer):

Paragon Backup & Recovery 2012 (Recovery boot CD or USB key)
Macrium Reflect (Free)
O&O Disk Image Express or (mirror)
Easeus Todo Backup
Acronis True Image For WD (reduced, free version for WD drives - cloning and imaging)
Acronis True Image For Seagate (DiscWizard) (reduced, free version for Seagate drives - cloning and imaging)
ODIN (open-source)
Redo Backup & Recovery (Boot CD)
Clonezilla Live (A bootable CD of Debian with Clonezilla.)
Drive Image XML
PING (Partimage is not Ghost) (Boot CD with option Clam Antivirus)
Partition Saving
Clonezilla
Passmark OSFClone (Bootable, cloning only)
ImageX and GImageX (Geekware. Small images due to "single instancing" and allows partial, selected restore of image parts. Used by Microsoft to apply disk image to drive during "installation" of Windows 7.)

There are also many commercial products with more features.

A restore point is a good thing to make before any major change. But remember that it only restores the "system", i.e., the registry and Windows files. It won't undo most other changes.

I have attached a script in a zip archive that creates an instant restore point when clicked. A box will ask for a name and then create the point. It's a handy thing to keep on the desktop, and serves as a reminder, too.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-admin-user-and-getting-it-to-stay-changed.1057375/
Relevancy 71.38%

Hi,
I have a Windows 8.1 system on a lap top that was used by a former employee. Her name was still on user name and I couldn't change it without Admin privileges (otherwise was asking for a smart card). Found out how to get in to admin in safe mode with Net
User Admin yes- then discovered that the old log in and information / desk top is no longer available. The docs are under Users (old employee's name) in C drive, but the docs and settings no longer show up and the admin log in is the only one available - no
option to change users.
When I went in and said Net User Admin no - thinking if I disabled admin user it would go back to the old log in -  there was no log in available at all.

Help?
Launa

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/56c281dc-3368-4418-93ac-3cd96832c513/enabled-net-user-admin-to-change-an-account-name-cant-change-name-and-now-origial-login-account?forum=w8itproinstall
Relevancy 71.38%

I have a program, BOINC in this instance, that I want to run only when I log in as a user, I do not want it to run when I log in as admin. is this possible? the program is up and running now but runs in both accounts. I use my admin account to do banking only and the user account to do 3D and allow the BOINC app to run when the PC isn't being used.

thanks,
bob

A:I want a program to only run as user, not with my admin account

I run the same program .. have you tried to suspend
the projects when you use your admin account??

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/42231-i-want-program-only-run-user-not-my-admin-account.html
Relevancy 71.38%

Ok, I may have made a mistake here, I was told to click this SID thing and change my SID I code in order to be able to install this WindowBlinds application however, it seems to have gone crazy.

After restarting my computer, It now has two users after looking in the C:/users - one Gareth.GarethPC which has NOTHING IN IT. And the other is my original GARETH account which it wont let me access - asking for an ADMIN password however It wont let me type anything in!

So I can't do any activity that requires Admin access, i've been trying to system restore naturally Admin required.

Any help? I'm wetting myself.

Thanks Everyone.

Edit: Mine is now a guest account..

A:Admin User Account - Im Locked Out!

HI this is for the hidden admin account try doing the steps form the guest account http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...idden-administrator-account-on-windows-vista/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/admin-user-account-im-locked-out.870142/
Relevancy 71.38%

Account was active (and I wasn't paying great attention) and set the admin. account almost fully to what and how I wanted it to be, not realizing that it was the admn. and not my user acct. that I named my own name, as the standard recommendation of not logging or using the admn. acccount as your logon or user acct. Is there a way I can trick or copy the admn. to my name or delete the user acct. in its sub or alternate, such as the acct.-my name and then use those settings as I was going to, and then rename admn. to other acct. if that makes sense(?) or would I just have to go ahead and bite-it and reset the same settings or the profile for my alternate-user acct.? Thanks, Joe

A:setting up Admin. and user account

There are registry changes you can make to trick xp to load other profiles, but imo it would be safest to leave the admin account as is, setup your user account and proceed as normal. I only use the reg changes if i join a pc to a domain that has a profile being used and they want that profile as the domain profile.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/208350/setting-up-admin-and-user-account/
Relevancy 71.38%

Hello, my brother has recently made himself the admin on my computer that have spent alot of money on and it is finally gaming ready but now I cannot access any gaming platform and not update any scripts

A:How do I get into the admin account while being a strandard user

Quote: Originally Posted by User3456

Hello, my brother has recently made himself the admin on my computer that have spent alot of money on and it is finally gaming ready but now I cannot access any gaming platform and not update any scripts

Your brother has admin rights
You are standard user.

You wanna have admin rights?? If so, ask your brother to login and he can give you admin rights

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/226784-how-do-i-get-into-admin-account-while-being-strandard-user.html
Relevancy 71.38%

PC has WinXP Pro there are 4 accounts 3 admin("Administrator", "qq" and "My Computer" and 1 guest. Have ran Malwarebytes and removed over 60 items, have scanned with new AVAST no virus found ran both in safe mode under "Administrator" account. Adminsitrator account is running fine, loading fine no issues. "My Computer" account is only showing desktop background photo, no desktop icons are showing, is extremly slow and keeps locking up and comes up with errors cant find "null" and missing "dll" errors. I have now removed HDD and have hooked it up to a second PC and am currently running new scans on it. Any ideas would be great

Relevancy 71.38%

Hi As I have some troubles to take ownership of HKLM HCR from the registry Someone recommend me to do the following Step Clicked and account ! User Admin big troubles Start Menu Click Run Type net user administrator active yes Close All Other Applications And Reboot User and Admin account big troubles ! Your System Step Click Login To The Administrator Account Clicked Start Menu Click Run Type Regedit Go to HKEY LOCAL MACHINE Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Policies System Right Click On EnableLUA Click Modify Change Value Data To A Click OK Step Go Back To The Root Folders In The Registry Editor Right Click On HKEY CLASSES ROOT Click Permissions Click CREATOR OWNER Check All Allow Boxes Click Apply Click SYSTEM Check All Allow Boxes Click Apply Click Administrators Check All Allow Boxes Click Apply Click On Users Click Remove Click Your Account Name If It Shows Click Remove Click OK Step Right Click On HKEY CURRENT USER Click Permissions Click SYSTEM Check All Allow Boxes Click Apply Click Administrators Check All Allow Boxes Click Apply Click OK Step Right Click On HKEY LOCAL MACHINE Click Permissions Click Everyone Check All Allow Boxes Click Apply Click RESTRICTED Check All Allow Boxes Click Apply Click SYSTEM Check All Allow Boxes Click Apply Click Administrators Check All Allow Boxes Click Apply Click OK Step Right Click On HKEY USERS Click Permissions Click Everyone Check All Allow Boxes Click Apply Click RESTRICTED Check All Allow Boxes Click Apply Click SYSTEM Check All Allow Boxes Click Apply Click Administrators Check All Allow Boxes Click Apply Click On Users If It Shows Click Remove Click Your Account Name If It Shows Click Remove Click OK Step Right Click On HKEY CURRENT CONFIG Click Permissions Click CREATOR OWNER Check All Allow Boxes Click Apply Click Administrators Check All Allow Boxes Click Apply Click OK Close Registry Editor And All Other Applications And Reboot Your System Step Click Login To The Available Regular Owner Account Clicked Start Menu Click Control Panel Click Add Or Remove User Acounts Create A New User Account And Logoff Close Registry Editor And All Other Applications And Reboot Your System Step Click Login To Your New Created Account Right Click On The Drive Or Directory You Lost Access To Click Properties Click Security Click Advance At The Permissions Tab Click Edit Click Add Type The Name Of The Recently New Created Account Click Check Names Your New Account Name Should Fully Show Up Click OK A Permission Screen Should Show Up Click On The Allow Box Where It Says Full Control Where It Says quot Apply To quot Choose The quot This Folder Subfolders And Files quot Option Click OK Again At The Permissions Tab Click On Your New Created Account Click Apply Click Yes On The Security Popup To Change Your Allow Permissions If An Errors Occur Just Click Continue Once The Process Finishes Reboot Your System And Login To Your New Account You Should Now Have Access Back Into Your Hard Drive Or Directory I did all except the nine step After the eight while enter to my new account I get a blue screen in my session instead of my dekstop no icons no system tray appeared I reboot my computer and I notice that I couldn' enter anymore to my Admin account Enter and my session was automatically closed Nevertheless I could enter to my standard user account the old one named Transparence but the dekstop is in black no icons no system tray nothing I decided to Alt Ctrl delete like to close my session but instead I choose Task Manager I have only processes csrss exe dwm exe taskmgr exe winlogon exe How can i get back and change the ownership of my registry Is it possible to check my registry with someone who is running Vista Business bits The following are the settings I have for now Registry HCR System total control and lecture checked Admin idem HCU System total control and lecture checked Admin idem Users lecture checked HLM Everybody Restricted lecture checked System Admin total control and lectur... Read more

A:User and Admin account big troubles !

Welcome
If you can get to system restore, you could go back. Restore includes registry changes.
Try in safe mode if necessary
Try with the hidden administrator if necessary.
Administrator Account
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ix-issues.html

http://www.vistax64.com/crashes-debugging/285275-user-admin-account-big-troubles.html
Relevancy 71.38%

I recieved a computer and there is no admin account to log in to only the User log in. Tried rebooting in safe mode and it still goes to the log in screen.

A:No Admin account and Dont know the user log in

What exactly do you mean by "I received a computer"?

Did someone give it to you as a gift for you to keep?  Can you not ask the person you got the computer from for the login info?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/503504/no-admin-account-and-dont-know-the-user-log-in/
Relevancy 71.38%

Please - account no profile user admin help I ve been getting the quot user profile service user profile - no admin account failed the logon quot error message on my account which was the admin account All of user profile - no admin account the solutions posted online require you to be logged in as an administrator in order user profile - no admin account to execute them So far I ve tried fixing user profile editing system registry etc as per this page http support microsoft com kb en-US wa wsignin can t from a standard user account creating a new account and transferring data can t from a standard user account restoring system to previous point using command prompts can t from a standard user account enabling the quot hidden quot admin account can t as a standard user being stressed and grumpy I can do this fine but it s not effective at solving the problem I don t seem to be able to do anything as a standard user on the only account left and every time it prompts for my admin password it won t let me go any further What do I do We have loads of photos and documents which haven t been backed up yet yes yes don t even say it and so I don t want to just reset the whole thing or risk losing anything Any advice Thank you in advance nbsp

A:user profile - no admin account

Restart the machine in the "Safe mode"
Use the "Administrator" account and password if you set one up. If you did NOT set up a password, then just use the "enter" key when in the password box.
Once up and running in the safe mode, you should be able to make a new account of the admin group.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-profile-no-admin-account.1142637/
Relevancy 71.38%

​Until recently, I was using an Admin privileged user account on my Windows 10 PC for all use. I now use a non-admin account for all use and have 2 Admin privileged accounts in back. One Admin account I use to authorize anything requiring admin privileges and the other I don't touch I just have as a back up restore point.
My question is if I should disable internet on the Admin account that acts simply as my restore point? Is there a security benefit to doing this or could it be a security risk due to not getting auto updates?

A:Securing my Admin user account

The extra admin account is unnecessary since it does not serve the purpose for which you intended, i.e. as a restore point.  One admin account and one standard account should be sufficient.

Also, the "internet" or a network connection does not work in the way you describe.  Disabling the wireless connection on one account disables it for all accounts on that machine.  You cannot selectively turn on the wireless for one account and not for others.  The same goes if you are using a wired connection.

I am assuming that you mean Windows updates, which are updates to the operating system.  Once the operating system is receiving updates, those updates apply to all users on the same machine.  The operating system is central to all users.  Although individual users may apply their own settings (e.g. wallpaper) or install applications for their sole use, those things do not affect the operating system as a whole.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/603578/securing-my-admin-user-account/
Relevancy 71.38%

Hi guys, i have recently begun to use a user account instead of running full Admin and my question is should the two separate accounts be treated separately when it comes to security,  and do most keep one account minimal with just a few programs or to just surf and the elevated one for something else.

I am the only user  but am confused about security.  I started with just an admin account and kept everything up to date and ran scans regularly etc... but i am finding i'm doing the exact same thing with the user account.

When i update one and run scans i should automatically do the same for the admin account?  Windows update for example, i need to check for updates with both accounts?

Sorry for the confusion and thanks

A:User/Admin account question

Hi,

1. Click the Windows Start button and then click Control Panel. The Control Panel appears.
2. Select Large icons on the right-hand side under the View by menu (if you are not already in Large icons view). This will display the Control Panel features as icons. Locate and click on  User Accounts.
3. The User Accounts panel appears
4. Click the Change User Accounts Control Settings option. The User Accounts Control Settings dialog box appears.
5. Windows 7 UAC settings have a slider to change between different notification levels. You can choose one from the following four options:
Never notify
Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer (do not dim my desktop)
Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer
Always notify
6. If the need arises to turn off the UAC to troubleshoot ACT! related issues, a general guideline is to change the setting to Never Notify, which essentially disables the UAC feature.
Note: A reboot of the computer will be required after choosing this setting.
You  can also change a user's account type, Follow these steps:
If your computer is in a domain:
1. Open User Accounts by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking User Accounts, clicking User Accounts again, and then clicking Manage User Accounts.  If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
2. On the Users tab, under Users for this computer, click the user account name, and then click Properties.
3. On the Group Membership tab, click the group you want the account to be in, click OK, and then click OK again.

If your computer is in a workgroup:

1. Open User Accounts by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking User Accounts and Family Safety, clicking User Accounts, and then clicking Manage another account.  If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
2. Click the account you want to change, and then click Change the account type.
3. Select the account type you want, and then click Change Account Type.

For more information on user accounts, please logon to:
 http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/Windows7/What-is-an-administrator-accounthttp://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Change-a-users-account-typehttp://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/How-do-I-get-started-with-my-computer

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/498085/useradmin-account-question/
Relevancy 71.38%

I have six user accounts on my PC i have a big family but one of them can't login because quot The Group Policy Client service failed to logon Access denied quot error message pops up and we are sure the password is correct Also admin user? my is why guest only the account the guest account does not have a password it just logs in and takes a while to prepare the desktop after it has logged on there's a pop up message that says that the current account is temporary and can't acces any files and the ones created will be deleted once I log off This account is also the admin account and when installing programs a prompt comes up and ask for the password but there is none and all you have to do is press enter and it works as if you had actually input a password Also I cannot create or delete accounts because for some other reason acces is denied I have tried using the command prompt to change the why is my guest account the only admin user? password and tried several other commands but they don't work I have several limitations because of this problem and it seems to keep on getting worst any help is appreciated why is my guest account the only admin user?

A:why is my guest account the only admin user?

Which version of Windows 7?

I don't think the Guest account can have administrator rights, be an administrator. The actual Administrator account is hidden by default. You need at least one User set with administrative rights, shows as Administrator but others can be Standard users.
User accounts: FAQ - Windows Help
The number of Users allowed appears to be limited only by the amount of space available on the HDD.
user accounts: How many user accounts can I create? - Microsoft Community

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/353184-why-my-guest-account-only-admin-user.html
Relevancy 71.38%

Hi, i created a new user account only last week and decided i would log into it again, this is only the 3rd time i've logged into this new user account, so it was ok last i accessed it.
After pressing the icon and xp login plays the tune, all that i am greeted with is a blank blue screen. I accessed task manager and logged off. Logged in my admin account and deleted the new account and created another, the same thing happened again, and again etc.
So cannot create a new account , anyone know why?

thanks

A:logging into new user admin account

When you login with a new account, go onto task manager and click the "Processes" tab. See if explorer.exe is running, if not, run a new task of "explorer".

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/logging-into-new-user-admin-account.920047/
Relevancy 71.38%

Hi,

I have Windows XP Professional in two of my employees PCs

Recently, I have observed they have started adding new software carelessly to the PC and are delaying work on the other hand

I would like to put an end to this menace

Can you please tell me how to:

1. Restrict software from being installed on the PCs

2. Restrict the websites that they log on to

3. Get a log of activities they have been doing daily

Maybe this is harsh however, I have to keep some control over them as all my accounts are managed on the PCs

Please help me

Thanks in advance

A:User Account Admin in Windows XP - PLEASE HELP

Some antivirus have "parental controls" on them, and that might be the best way to take control of misuse...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-account-admin-in-windows-xp-please-help.1051794/