Windows Support Forum

Very dark or black laptop screen

Q: Very dark or black laptop screen

I have a Packard Bell Easynote TE69KB laptop and the screen is either black or very dark, sometimes at the right angle you can just see the graphics, This started after the 18mth old son hit the top of the screen yesterday. I have tried adjusting brightness without change, with an external monitor plugged in it works fine, which is OK if I'm working at home but no good when I'm out. I am thinking I'm going to have to change he screen or can you make any other suggestions?

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Very dark or black laptop screen

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Very dark or black laptop screen

Your son has probably damaged or loosened the screen inverter. That is what lights up the screen and is a separate part. It can be found under the screen bezel. I don't think that this will cost much to fix. If you DIY read up about the job first because removing the bezel (frame) needs to be done carefully.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/very-dark-or-black-laptop-screen.208064/
Relevancy 82.56%

I purchased this computer recently quot as is quot The screen is dark black upon start up and remains this way The operating system works fine as I can use a flashlight over the screen and navigate anywhere I need to go I have ordered the recovery dvd from Sony and am awaiting that to see if it helps This system Black, Screen Vaio Up Laptop Sony On and remains Start Dark is currently running XP Home Service Pack I was told it was added and not the original that came with the computer The computer is a Sony Vaio VGN-A Can someone suggest some troubleshooting Sony Vaio Laptop Black, Dark Screen On Start Up and remains for this problem or let me know if it is a driver software or hardware problem My next step after I receive the Recovery DVD from Sony if that doesn t work will be to take it in for repair which we all know can be costly I can provide any additional information if needed I ve been using computers since but not that good at driver video card hardware problems though can follow instructions Thanks in advance okiegirl nbsp Sony Vaio Laptop Black, Dark Screen On Start Up and remains

A:Sony Vaio Laptop Black, Dark Screen On Start Up and remains

Sounds like your LCD is bad.

Sounds like you have one of two things going on: either a bad inverter board, or the flourescent tube in the LCD is dead.

The inverter board is fairly easy to replace, and costs around $100. The flourescent tube is a much more troubling issue - generally the only option is to replace the entire LCD, and they do get expensive. Some repair shops claim to be able to replace just the flourescent tube - this can be a little less expensive. But it's hard to find a repair shop that can do that.

What you're looking for:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sony-vaio-laptop-black-dark-screen-on-start-up-and-remains.36129/
Relevancy 71.38%

Any help: I have a dell inspiron and when i turn it on i have a bright screen then it turns dark i can kinda make it out but it goes in and out and if i close it and open it it turns bright for like 5 sec any ideas what this may be??

A:Dark-Black screen

Try it on another pc, just to see if it does the same thing. If it does then your monitor may need some work.........

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dark-black-screen.871445/
Relevancy 69.66%

Hello everyone I - issue Satellite Pro C50-A Black/dark screen want to share one issue I have with my laptop just to know if any of you already experience it or maybe you know some options how to fix it I have bought a Satellite Pro C -A model in January with Windows preinstalled Few weeks ago I experienced for the first time the issue Working with the laptop suddenly the screen switches off The laptop is still working as I already connected to another screen and the keyboard and mouse is working everything Even if you focus a bit in the laptop's screen you can see the shape of what I am doing but very very dark almost Satellite Pro C50-A - Black/dark screen issue off First time it happened I was able to fix it after few tries unplugging the laptop from DC and taking out the battery then pressing Power button for secs I had to do it several times and then it started to work The issue seemed to be fixed but yesterday it happened again with the bad luck that doing the same process is not enough It was working for min and then it switched off again I don't know what else I can do as last option I would reset to factory settings but that's something that I would like to skip Is there any known error malware or defect in the laptops that could help me Thank you very much in advance

A:Satellite Pro C50-A - Black/dark screen issue

To be honest I don?t think recovery image installation will help you.

I don?t have such bad experience on my Toshiba machines but I?m pretty sure it is hardware related issue and cannot imagine that clean recovery installation will change anything.

In the past some people have reported about similar issues and the reason was defective FL inverter.
The warranty is still valid so I think you should contact nearest Toshiba service provider and ask for help.

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?78414-Satellite-Pro-C50-A-Black-dark-screen-issue
Relevancy 68.8%

Hello I turned on my PC this morning and noticed that the dark backgrounds of my colors/backgrounds pitch screen dark black! The are on websites or Steam or the The dark colors/backgrounds on my screen are pitch black! dark bits in my desktop wallpaper are extremely dark they re pitch black I have the brightness and contrast turned all the way up i fiddled with the settings of the monitor and the display resolutions settings and it won t change All other colors are looking normal and they re very bright but the black dark blue bits of my Start Menu background and Steam backgrounds are so pitch black as if they are immune to the brightness option I just tried playing The Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion While i was outside in a field everything looked bright and great When i went into an underground crypt i could only see the torches on the walls I couldn t see anything around me It s as if something is maximizing the darkness of dark colors and making them pitch black and immune to bightness I suspect that something in my video card or RAM or monitor has gone broken causing this abnormal color damage I am running Windows Ultimate -bit using a Samsung SyncMaster BW x monitor running a GeForce GT and AMD Athlon x Ghz Any help appreciated nbsp

A:The dark colors/backgrounds on my screen are pitch black!

Can you try another monitor for test purposes?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/the-dark-colors-backgrounds-on-my-screen-are-pitch-black.167800/
Relevancy 67.51%

Hi everybody,

I have a problem:
I have Windows Vista Home Basic.
I installed one of my favorite star wars games(star wars addicted) everything went great.
But when I run it gets fun:
I get a black screen, I can see my cursor and hear the sound.
But I don't see the menu
And when I click on something it shuts down the game.
I also tried to run it in compatibility mode but that doesn't work either.
I also tried to change the resolution but that doesn't help anything.

Please help me because it is driving me nuts

Greetz

Mark

A:Star Wars Jedi Knight Dark Forces 2 black screen

i get this, the only workaround is to tab out then back into the game.

http://www.vistax64.com/gaming/164558-star-wars-jedi-knight-dark-forces-2-black-screen.html
Relevancy 66.65%

Hello Yesterday morning I was Black Screen Screen Dark Then on the computer and had no problems I logged off the Internet but left the computer running Dell PC Home XP IE- SP- When I came home yesterday evening the monitor screen was black as usual and I tried clicking the mouse and nothing happened I could not get the screen to light up nor could I see the cursor arrow I turned the power Black Screen Then Dark Screen off and then back on as it was it powering up all I had was a black screen After about - minutes the Dell logo appeared although very dim Within a few seconds it disappeared Black screen again A few minutes later the windows logo appeared but disappeared a few seconds later also Black screen Several more minutes went by and the windows logo appeared and said Black Screen Then Dark Screen it was loading windows very dim it also disappeared Black Screen Then Dark Screen within seconds Black screen again Several more minutes passed and the user names showed up I clicked on my user name and it started to load my settings Black screen again This process took about minutes All the normal icons next to the time in my tray are missing I do have all the normal icons on my desktop Everything is VERY dim I have a background on the screen is very dim and everything has very very little color Things are very hard to see I am able to connect to the Internet I tried system restore with no luck I tried starting in safe mode thinking I would give the last good configuration a try I was able to get to safe mode using the F- method but the up and down arrows will not work so I had to press enter and start in normal mode Total time from power up to my being able to connect was about minutes At first I thought that perhaps my monitor was shot but due to the start up problems I think I have something else going on here I ran full scans with Malwarebytes and Microsoft Security and they came up clean Any ideas Lastly at this point the screen is not black but is a very very pale blue the the colors I see are very dim Thanks for any help you can give me Take Care Dennis

A:Black Screen Then Dark Screen

have you tried a different monitor and/or video card by any chance?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/479020/black-screen-then-dark-screen/
Relevancy 65.36%

Hello my laptop was damaged when my son shut the screen in temper, ive since replaced the screen and its very dark you can only just see the login password box what could it be the model of laptop is a hp stream 11 pro

A:Very Dark laptop screen

probably damaged the backlight or inverter

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/very-dark-laptop-screen.1171797/
Relevancy 65.36%

Hi everyone, I have an Acer Aspire 5735 and suddenly today the screen went black without any warning. I wasnt using it at the time and think it had been on for a while. I restarted it and did a system repair but the screen was still the same.

On closer inspection I can make out the windows in the background and I used a separate monitor to use the computer (that is how i am writing this now). Ive tried manually adjusting the brightness with the hotkeys and also gone through the battery management settings but neither have made any difference?

Ive heard backlights can go, are they expensive to replace? Is that a likely cause. surely when the light goes it goes completely dark?

Cheers

A:Laptop screen has gone very dark!

Backlights and the inverters that drive them can go bad. The inverter is usually a separate printed circuit board mounted in the laptop lid with a two wire cable going to the LCD module. There is no quick and easy way to tell if the inverter or the backlight is bad, short of substituting known good ones.

Your backlight is most likely a long and narrow glass fluorescent tube inside the LCD panel. Replacing it may require very gentle dis-assembly and reassembly of the panel without damaging the many electrical connections to the display glass. Some people end up replacing the the whole LCD panel. You may be able to find a new panel on line for under $100 USD. You would need to know the full model number of the Aspire 5735 in order to find the correct replacement.

Replacing the inverter will usually require opening up the laptop's lid bezel and disconnecting a couple of cables and popping out the old one. You may be able to find a new inverter on line for under $20 USD.

There are other things that are needed to operate the backlight, such as some control electronics on the motherboard that can go bad as well. There was one person here that had a laptop that would show the initial BIOS splash screen but would go dark as soon as Windows started up. Turned out that the switch that detects if the lid is closed was stuck in the lid closed position.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-screen-has-gone-very-dark.984249/
Relevancy 65.36%

Hello,

My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 5150. I was away from it for about an hour and when I came back the video display was dark. You can barely see a faint shadow of what is on the screen but that is all that I can see after trying turning it off, adjusting the brightness etc.. Is this a serious problem or can someone suggest a solution to this problem?

Thank you very much

Relevancy 65.36%

I have a Compaq persario 1700 and the screen is dark almost black. I can see images barely. Seems like the computer is working fine, just an issue with the screen.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

A:Laptop Screen is Dark

well first thing check to see if your brightness/contrast is set to low, maybe turning it up, if not, either the bulb in the lcd or the inverter, most likely the inverter has gone out. try the easier fix before you go buying parts though..

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-screen-is-dark.771701/
Relevancy 65.36%

I have an old Dell Inspiron 8000 laptop and the screen is really dark,barely visible. I've replaced the inverter but that didn't fix it. If I kinda play with the ribbon cable I can get it to come on for a minute. Alson the fn key does not work on it. When I hold the fn key down and try to use the function key features none of them work. If I hook it up to an external monitor it will come on for about 1 minute and then shut off. (on the external) And thats only during the boot up process. Please Help

Relevancy 65.36%

I have a 10 month old Acer 5820t laptop running win 7 home premium. About 6 weeks ago, the screen started going dark every few minutes and it has gotten worse. I can see the image faintly and by pressing the display brighten button can get it to come back or sometimes have to close and reopen lid it will come back. No external peripherals are connected. The Intel HD graphics card has the latest driver installed. The screen saver seems to work but the display will also go dark when the screeb saver is running.
Help!

A:Win 7 Laptop Screen goes dark

While i may be wrong, i will say "welcome to the world of acers"

ive fixed a couple of acers this year with screen related issues. While neither had the same problem as yours, i wouldnt be surprised if it was hardware related.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/198742-win-7-laptop-screen-goes-dark.html
Relevancy 65.36%

I have an Acer Apire laptop and recently the screen has been going Dark Laptop Goes Screen funny The screen is fine and works normally but when I dont move the mouse or touch any keys for five minutes the screen goes darker At first it went darker by about and then almost completely black but now it just goes darker by about about after exactly minutes It started when the laptop battery got Laptop Screen Goes Dark too low and it went into hibernation mode I plugged it back in and has been doing it since then I have tried changing power settings and changing screen saver settings but it doesnt make a difference I tried having a screen saver instead but it does the same thing after mins too on the screensaver It seems like its been unplugged and has gone onto battery power but it is always plugged in - and seems like it slows down a bit if watching video it plays slower Does anyone know if there are some settings i could change or what the problem could be nbsp

A:Laptop Screen Goes Dark

this could be a feature of the laptop, with the settings in the bios possibly.

Its not something to worry about, although it can be annoying at times

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-screen-goes-dark.716514/
Relevancy 65.36%

The screen on my lap top has suddenly gotten so dark that I can barely see
anything, literally. I cannot seem to adjust the tint and contrast, etc..
Does anyone know what I can do or if it is a technical problem with the
screen that needs attention? Thanks

A:Screen on my laptop going dark??

which model of laptop do you have ?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/screen-on-my-laptop-going-dark.329296/
Relevancy 65.36%

i have gone into my display area and it is at the brightest setting. I have also tried to brighten it from the keyboard. Is there anywhere else I can check to see why the screen is dark? I usually have it plugged into a monitor at my desk so I never noticed it before until I unplugged it from the monitor and tried to show some pictures.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/screen-on-laptop-seems-very-dark.1156792/
Relevancy 65.36%

I elbowed my Sony Vaio by accident and the screen went wonky. I plugged in to my television and it worked fine so I bought a replacement screen and took it to Best Buy to have it installed. They installed the screen but said it also had a faulty wire in the motherboard and that I wouldn't be able to see the screen. This really upset me cause when I brought it in for the screen fix this wasn't an issue. Yes, the screen was damaged but the half of the screen that was visible didn't have this problem, it lit up fine. What can be done in this situation? I don't want to take it back to Geek Squad, they said replacing the wire would be really expensive and I'm not convinced they are being honest with me.

A:Laptop screen is dark

sound like the backlight/inverter

the connection may just be loose,not an expensive fix even if it needs replacing

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-screen-is-dark.1078676/
Relevancy 65.36%

i have an hp pavillion laptop and a while ago the screen went dark. What I mean is that the screen looks like it is black but when you look at it in the sunlight you can see the desktop. It did this before but all I had to do was jiggle the knob that would norally be pushed down when the laptop was closed and would sen it into hibernation. Now it will not work at all though, I can hook it up to a monitor like my tv and use it but it is soo annoying. This was a very expensive comuter and the internals are fine other than the annoying screen. Does anyone understan my babbling?

Relevancy 65.36%

I use an IBM T30 laptop, circa 2003. A few days ago, the screen started flickering, and then a couple days ago it suddenly went dark. The computer is otherwise OK, and I am able to use external monitors at both office and home to continue working.

In a dark room, the screen is totally black, but when I shine a light into the screen or sit in a well-lit room, I can see that the LCD image is still there ... the screen seems to be alive, but dark.

Now, I realize I'm not going to get a firm diagnosis from this website, but I am hoping to better understand what might be going on - what some of the possibilities are - before I take it to a repair service.

Any thoughts?
Thanks

A:Laptop screen gone dark

I had/have a similar situation. My laptop is a presario 2200. The screen never flickered. I could still see the screen if I really strained my eyes. I took the computer to a couple of computer repair places. One quote was about $800 to fix the back light. I chose not to fix it as a new laptop would be cheaper. I brought the computer home and was using it on an external video monitor. two days later it the laptop screen worked. It has gone in and out since then. I know this doesn't answer your question, but thought I would share my experience.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-screen-gone-dark.600352/
Relevancy 64.93%

Hello,

Can anyone please help me? My laptop's screen keeps going dark after being on for only a few seconds. When the screen goes dark, I have to move my mouse around to get the screen to come back on which it usually does. After a few minutes of doing this, my screen stays on. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. I do have McAfee anti-virus protection. I just recently ran a virus scan which came up clear of any viruses. I also tried adjusting when the screen goes dark which did not help. Not sure if I have a virus or whats going on. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

John

A:HELP! Laptop screen goes dark after a few seconds.

Check your power management settings to not turn off the screen.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-laptop-screen-goes-dark-after-a-few-seconds.1078126/
Relevancy 64.93%

Hi, my Compaq prosignia 150 laptop has developed a glitch. The screen keeps going dark - even though none of the programs i have open stop running or crash (when I angle the screen to the light I can very faintly make out the desktop/active windows, all of which function as normal). When I then shut down the screen lights up again on the 'windows is shutting down' screen, before completing the shut-down. Does anyone have a clue how I can fix this? (OS is windows 98). Thank you!

A:Dark screen on Compaq laptop

ATT,

Welcome to the Forum. Seems like there is a lot of this going around lately!

The problem is caused by the Flourescent backlight turning off. The causes can be many. My personal experience is that it is faulty wiring going from the base unit to the LCD panel.

Have you tried shutting the lid and reopening it...repeatedly. Or simply flexing the unit partially open/closed? If it flickers or goes ON even momentarily, it is probably the cable.

If the unit is under warranty by all means send it in for service!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dark-screen-on-compaq-laptop.309473/
Relevancy 64.93%

Hello Forum, I need your help with my Laptop.. it's screen has gone very dark but it's not shut off. ASUS Laptops have a button on the keyboard that works as a switch to turn the LCD on and off, it's currently on right now but the monitor is still very dark, when I turn it off then back up in lights up for anywhere between 1 second and 10 seconds.

any help would be appreciated.

Relevancy 64.93%

I was working on my laptop last nite when all of a sudden it turned itself off. Now when I turn it on the screen is black and the laptop is on for 5 secs then turns itself off. While its on the fan works at full throttle which is weird.

I also tried swapping the harddrive with another one to see if its a harddrive issue. But its not. On rare occasions, when I reapplied thermal paste to the heat sink, the laptop would boot to the desktop. But again, this only works 2 out of 10 times.

I seriously need to get my laptop working. I hope you guys can help me.

A:Laptop Boots to Dark Screen - HELP!

Brand/model of the laptop?

http://www.techist.com/forums/f84/laptop-boots-dark-screen-help-274033/
Relevancy 64.93%

Hi, The screen on my Dell laptop (which is 14 months old, not dropped or otherwise damaged) keeps blanking out although I can still see the Desktop and whatever else is on the screen if I shine a light directly onto it. This seems to happen randomly and either stays dark (until restart) or comes back on after a minute or two. The laptop doesn't seem to be overheating or making any odder than usual noises. Any ideas or help much appreciated.

A:Dark screen on Dell laptop

Hi, welcome to tsf,

if you move the screen fully open and then just about closed then open again will the backlight come back on? might be a lose connection.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/dark-screen-on-dell-laptop-668557.html
Relevancy 64.93%

Hey guys,

So in the last few weeks, I have come across a rather perplexing issue with my Toshiba Satellite laptop. I have it hooked up to an external display via HDMI and that display works perfectly fine, but the laptop monitor is extremely dark, to the point where it is just barely possible to make out what is on the display. I know this is not a hardware issue as the laptop display works perfectly fine in Arch Linux, and I have tried multiple attempts at remedying the issue including adjusting the brightness with the function keys and re installing/updating the driver for the integrated graphics. I have also tried restoring to the earliest system restore image and that hasn't helped either

A:Extremely dark screen on laptop

Hi thehoppingbunny and welcome to Seven Forums.

Have you tried adjusting the brightness of the screen without using the function keys?
(i.e adjusting the brightness in power options?)

When did the screen start turn extremely dark? Can you remember any updates or major changes you made to your laptop?

When you say it works perfectly fine in Arch Linux, did you have just the Linux OS installed or Windows 7 as well?

The problem could be the highly unlikely event that the driver for your integrated graphics could have a bug or issue. Have you tried rolling your graphics driver back to the previous version? Did you have to reinstall the graphics driver on the Linux OS?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/328752-extremely-dark-screen-laptop.html
Relevancy 64.93%

Hello everyone on the Support Forum nbsp We got a weird issue nbsp with a recently new purchased HP Probook G nbsp nbsp Since one week the laptop screen goes dark blue without any form of live if you dont use the laptop nbsp for a few minutes De laptop still runs because you can hear the fan and the Harddrive spinning nbsp If you try to move the mouse or touch nbsp a few keys it doesn't do anything We need to hold the on off key in order to use the laptop again nbsp My first thoughts was that it could be nbsp a BSOD But unfortainly it isn't because I cant find it with the program called BlueScreenView Even if I look at the event viewer I can't find any form of errors warnings or critical events regarding this issue If I check the nbsp energy settings regarding turning into sleep hibernate or or off it has been disabbled nbsp I can't find any similar problems and I can't register is for an RMA because the support of HP Netherlands don't know a solution goes screen blue Laptop dark for it nbsp I hope someone could help us with this problem nbsp Kind regards nbsp Leon V ComSi Support

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/Laptop-screen-goes-dark-blue/td-p/5644218
Relevancy 64.93%

I have a gateway Laptop VE with inch screen It works great exepted that the LCD screen became suddently very dark very faint image barely visible I was told it could be the back light or more likely the LCD inverter I bought one on Ebay that was said to work great tested amp pulled from a very bright inch screen same laptop model mine is a inch That did not work with mine even worst I screen dark gateway very with LCD Laptop was unable to see any faint image when plugging an external display on the laptop it is working fine I decided to buy a complete screen not to take anymore chances I bought one that was tested working great complete with hinges inches from gateway I just had to plug the brown rubban in and I beleive I did it correcly same as previously the new screen is dark with a very faint image I can recognize a very dark gateway logo and then the windows Logo upon booting after that too dark to read anything External display still working fine but too big to carry the laptop gateway Laptop with very dark LCD screen itself is working gateway Laptop with very dark LCD screen perfectly My batery is dead but present the laptop is plugged directly onto the power converter so the battery is not at fault gateway Laptop with very dark LCD screen here I am really puzzled Any idea what it could be I suspect now my original screen may be good after all Now that I recall few months ago I experienced the same problem but it came back to life by pressing some buttons I could not recall what or why I do not think pressing a button would change anything even If I tryed again with no result I do not see why a button would switch off the screen almost totally I beleive that was a warning that something was getting weak Any help will be greatly appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 64.93%

Accidentally posted this in the wrong section before..sorry.

I uplugged the power cord on my new dell inspiron 1501 and i was walking around with it and the screen was really dark so i plugged it back in and the screen is still really dark. Where can I find a brightness setting? I'm running vista home basic.

A:New Laptop Problems. Screen is really dark.

Read The Friendly Manual and see what the key combination for screen brightness is.

Or just look at the keyboard and try to find some symbol that looks like brightness control.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-laptop-problems-screen-is-really-dark.71730/
Relevancy 64.07%

I'm trying to figure out my brother's laptop.

VGN-SZ75GN, it was bought in Hong Kong. It worked fine this morning according to my sis-in-law. She told me that she was using it back and forth from her room to living room. She also told me that she spilled little bit of water. When she tried to move it into the living room some hours ago, the screen went blank/dark. Tried to reboot it, power light is on, hard disk on and then went off, and then there is a blue light on (not sure what it is).

I already tried taking off the battery and tried 30 - 60 minutes holding the power button without having the power cord. Plugged the cord and tried to turn it on, still the same. I cannot even start it safe mode either. It's running Vista (not sure specific version).

I appreciate help and input.

G.

Relevancy 64.07%

Well, somehow I got the darkscreen problem fixed to where it will light up. Now, however, when the computer is turned on, it goes through the Window's XP page then before switching to the log on page, the screen goes dark and I have to hit Fn F7 to turn it on. I guess it thinks there is another monitor or something but there isn't.

I can't find how to change the booting procedure to fix this. I tried going into bios but hitting the delete key on startup doesn't seem to work on Think Pad T20's.

I know there is a simple fix to this but this simple mind doesn't know it and can't find it. Obviously this is a job for one of you incredible wizards.
Thanks as always

Relevancy 64.07%

Hello all I m having trouble with my laptop I have a year old Toshiba Satellite Last week when I had it on the screen suddenly went off but the music I had Screen Dark Turn On Won't Blue - Laptop on was still playing I managed to get it on Dark Blue Screen - Laptop Won't Turn On a few minutes later but it then went pink and green like when you press your finger on an LCD screen Today I had it on was working fine Left it unattended came back and the screen was a dark blue colour I ve tried turning it off taking battery out charger out holding the start button for seconds with battery out etc but nothing I also forgot to mention that earlier this evening and the past few nights it s taken a lot of jiggling to get my charger to be recognised on the laptop Does anyone know of the problem or even better a solution Won t show up when HDMI is plugged in on TV either Thanks in advance nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dark-blue-screen-laptop-wont-turn-on.1166204/
Relevancy 64.07%

My laptop screen is dark. I can still hear the boot up sounds but I can't see anything. I tried to hook the laptop to an external monitor and still nothing. I would like to get my files off of the computer and onto an external hard drive. How can I do this?

Relevancy 64.07%

Hello, I just purchased a HP Envy 17 around 3 months ago and I use it for schoolwork daily. I take extremley good care of this laptop because I have never had anything this expensive in my life. Recently, I noticed a dark mark on my screen that is not a scratch and does not appear to be a dead/stuck pixel. I have the touchscreen feature turned off because I have never found a use for it so I am positive it is not from me touching the screen. The mark, while small, is smack dab in the middle of my screen and I see it every time I look at my laptop. Is there a quick fix for this problem? Although minor, it bugs me very much.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/Dark-mark-beneath-laptop-screen/td-p/5845568
Relevancy 64.07%

I had my Dell Latitude Laptop in a duffel bag and it slid off the top of my suitcase and fell about 2 feet to the floor in the lobby of a hotel while I was checking out.

When I got my laptop home and turned it on it booted up ok, but the screen is now black...I can barely make out the Windows XP logo and my destop icons.

Any suggestions on what might of happened on impact and how I might be able to fix it??

This makes me sick...here it is Thanksgiving weekend and I'll not be able to get it looked at until next Mon. if I need to take it to someone.

Any home remedies that I might be able to try out on my own would be greatly appreciated.

I searched and found posts about the backlight and inverter...could the drop have caused this problem?

Thanks.

Relevancy 64.07%

I have an HP laptop that screen goes dark on it after a while. If you get real close you can barely make out an imagine when it does this so I am guessing that it could be the inverter or the lcd cable.

However after taking the cover off I noticed something and wonder if this could have any impact. If you look at the 2nd pic the arrow on the right shows where a foil is all ripped up. Does this act as a ground and could this be part of the problem?

Also where the left arrow in the 2nd pic is pointing does that just pull apart to the left to unplug??

Thanks in advance for any help. I have never had the nerve to open up a laptop before.

pic 2

Relevancy 64.07%

I have a Dell Inspiron laptop running WinXP. When I boot it up, the screen is bright but then goes dark immediately after. I can see the desktop, but juct barely. When I close the lid and open it, it momentarily stays bright but then goes dark again. Does anyone have a suggestion for what is wrong and how to correct it? I have the power settings set so that thwe screen never turns off or hibernates and the batter is fully charged (happens when it is plugged in also). Thanks for the help.

Bob

Relevancy 64.07%

nbsp I am seriously shocked folks Shelved out k INR for the HP -ab TX -inch Laptop nbsp in March and gifted to my wife It's very carefully and lightly used as I already have an spots & on Bright Laptop screen Dark office laptop But few days back I noticed a bright reflection at bottom of the monitor I thought it was a reflection from the light source on opposite wall but the spot remained at all angles and even on switching off the room light I then noticed another black spot at bottom right corner of screen I took some pics but they do not really show the spots as clearly as I phycically see them nbsp I talked to HP support and the support lady asked for pics from BIOS screen which I sent After seeing them she said these are pixel issues sent me a link and said my warrantly doesn't cover them nbsp nbsp This is so bad HP Having this quality Bright & Dark spots on Laptop screen issue within months of light use itself is shocking and then you even disown the flaw Your documents says its OK to have such Bright & Dark spots on Laptop screen spots What kind of a manufacturer are you nbsp What should I do now really disturbed

A:Bright & Dark spots on Laptop screen

@Dchucks? I would say that those are "Press Marks" from the keyboard or something is pressing on the LCD from inside the lid. REO

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/Bright-amp-Dark-spots-on-Laptop-screen/td-p/5790159
Relevancy 64.07%

The screen on my four year old Gateway laptop suddenly goes dark and/or very faint. Sometimes after just a few minutes, sometimes after several days (of non-continuous use, powered off each evening). The screen comes back to normal brighness after I close and re-open the cover. Any idea what might be causing this? (And is it something I can fix myself?)

FYI -- I have not changed any of the power settings, so it's not that.

A:Gateway laptop, screen goes dark intermittently

Its likely your LCD Inverter, which would require replacement. See here for more info: http://www.ehow.com/facts_5004007_what-lcd-inverter.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/gateway-laptop-screen-goes-dark-intermittently.902697/
Relevancy 64.07%

I just seem to be having all of the problems with my MSI GT S Titan A while back I spilled kool-aid on its keyboard and likely fried the LED circuit on it That issue has since been taken care of and the laptop has been running fine since Except for today Last night I was using it fine Everything was working great no signs of powers dark Laptop on, but screen stays overheating or anything I power it off while keeping it plugged in and this morning I come to turn it on and the power LED turns on the light strip turns on and the fans whirl up But the screen stays dark and my USB mouse that s plugged in doesn t light up either I tried the reset button but that didn t work I reseated the RAM nothing I only booted up with one Laptop powers on, but screen stays dark RAM card installed nope I really have no clue why it s doing this Maybe it just hates me I could probably do an RMA but I don t want to have to do that unless something broke Which would be very odd because this device is barely months old nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-powers-on-but-screen-stays-dark.1172591/
Relevancy 64.07%

As soon as plug in the charger my laptop screen goes really dark. It is so dark that you cannot see anything but the laptop and everything else is still working and on. as sooon as charger is removed everything gets back to normal. The issue only started a week back.  I have already changed the power and sleep settings to never turn off. but that doesnt help as the computer doesnt turn off with charger only the screen goes dark. Please Help!

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Video-Display-and-Touch/Laptop-screen-goes-dark-when-charger-is-connected/td-p/5610427
Relevancy 64.07%

When I turn on my Dell e1505 the screen lights up but flickers heavily, then goes out before the startup is completed, then flashes on for a brief moment and goes out again. It does the same thing on every restart. I've already replaced the inverter board which seemed to fix it, but then after 10 minutes it flickered out again and now shows the exact same on/off pattern it did with the old inverter.

The screen is on, just with no light. I can see the icons, etc., very faintly if I shine a flashlight on it. Also I plugged a CRT into the back and that works perfectly.

Is there a way to tell if it's the backlight, cables, or motherboard that's the problem? Or is it clear which one it is to anyone here who recognizes these symptoms?

Thanks

Relevancy 64.07%

As soon as plug in the charger my laptop screen goes really dark. It is so dark that you cannot see anything but the laptop and everything else is still working and on. as sooon as charger is removed everything gets back to normal. The issue only started a week back.  I have already changed the power and sleep settings to never turn off. but that doesnt help as the computer doesnt turn off with charger only the screen goes dark. Please Help!

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/Laptop-screen-goes-dark-when-charger-is-connected/td-p/5610427
Relevancy 64.07%

I sat on my laptop for about 20 minutes (story for another time...).

Now there are dark spots on the screen. Not dead pixels, but darker circular areas the size ranging from a few millimeters wide to a couple of centimeters in diameter.

Apparently, the places that were subjected to the greatest pressure are the darkest. There are some small components inside the LCD that I'm guessing were the focus of the weight... Where these components are, the spots appear.

It is barely noticeable except on solid color backgrounds, but still annoys me.

Just wondering if there's any fix aside from replacing the LCD screen all together? I would at least like to understand why spots subjected to such pressure would turn dark. I'm just a curious person I guess.

A:Laptop LCD screen has dark spots. Any solutions?

Just press your finger anywhere on the screen and it will turn darker around that spot.
You obviously warped the outside lid of your laptop. See if you can take the lid and the LCD apart and straighten the lid to relief the LCD-pressure from behind (literally...)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-lcd-screen-has-dark-spots-any-solutions.13510/
Relevancy 64.07%

Configuration Sony vaio VPCEB FG gb ram gb hdd I installed windows pro bit from windows home premium bit only days back My laptop used to go into sleep and dark unresponsive Laptop but sleep. goes screen not to mode for some time after the upgrade Somewhere between different reinstallations see EDIT it started giving me trouble When I put my computer to sleep using the charm bar or the power button my laptop screen goes dark and unresponsive but not Laptop screen goes dark and unresponsive but not to sleep. to sleep I have to eventually do a hard boot to access the computer again Haven't tried safe mode yet I tried looking online for a solution Done the following powercfg -devicequery wake armed used to show keyboard and mouse I unchecked the box quot allow computer to wake quot in device manager for my usb mouse and keyboard I didn't set the same for all usb devices since I was not sure of other devices like quot HID compliant consumer control device quot and such But as of now this command returns quot None quot powercfg -devicequery wake programmable returns some HID devices and ethernet controller powercfg -requests used to return system driver quot srvnet quot quot The device or driver has made a request quot So I did the following - Left the homegroup that windows automatically made for me No homegroups now - Set media sharing streaming to quot Block All quot in network and sharing center - Uninstalled all network adapter drivers and reinstalled updated ones - I tried the quot powercfg requestsoverride DRIVER srvnet System quot but the command line said quot invalid parameter quot - Didn't try setting defrag to manual right now the setting is monthly After all this when I tried the same command it returns None as of now powercfg -lastwake history count shows quot quot powercfg -a shows that S hibernate hybrid and fast startup are available in the system Fast startup is disabled as of now All the other advanced power settings in quot power options quot are set so as to allow the computer to sleep EDIT I had installed windows two times second time due to a virus issue After the first reinstall the sleep mode used to work fine but I don't remember whether the sleep mode has ever worked after the second powercfg -energy gives several errors none of which show srvnet But one of them is this quot Platform Power Management Capabilities PCI Express Active-State Power Management ASPM Disabled PCI Express Active-State Power Management ASPM has been disabled due to a known incompatibility with the hardware in this computer reinstall quot How does this affect my system Not sure since the sleep mode used to work after the first install Stopped working in the second and drivers in both cases were the same Attached -energy report

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/laptop-screen-goes-dark-and-unresponsive-but-not-to-sleep-998074.html
Relevancy 63.21%

The hinges on my cousin's HP Pavilion ZV 6000 laptop have been broken and cracked for awhile. (One is broken, the other is cracked.) A few minutes ago he powered on the laptop only to find that the screen is completely black.

We're figuring that there must be a connection between the damaged hinges and the black screen.

We would greatly appreciate hearing from anyone who has an idea as to exactly what the problem is and how to go about fixing it.

Thank you.

Relevancy 63.21%

Hi everyone, I am having problems with a Dell Inspiron 1501. The screen was doing ok, but it has recently started acting funny. The power button for sleep was pushed on the dell and ever since then the screen is extremely dark but it will display on an external monitor. What could be wrong? Thanks

A:Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop LCD screen is dark

sounds like the backlight or the transformer that powers the backlight has gone out

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-1501-laptop-lcd-screen-is-dark.123719/
Relevancy 63.21%

Same issue as everyone else, wish I would've looked a little sooner.  I've got a March 2012 model and this started just after warranty with a shadow that my kids got blamed for, Don't Touch Dads Laptop, feeling bad about that now.  
It slowly moved across my screen until it wasn't worth using the built in display.  *** when you buy a laptop and it turns into a really expensive desktop.
 The only upside is that i use a 50"  screen
If Dell could get passed the 7/10 rule of only 7 out of 10 products have to work correctly to meet expectations and goals just maybe they would have better ratings.
 Their honestly lucky theirs so many people in this wonderful world to sucker in.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19997571
Relevancy 63.21%

My laptop model no is HP Pavillion dv tx My OS is Windows Home is stays cursor only ... after dark Laptop loging in and screen Premium bit So today I shut my laptop down forcibly pressing the power button as it was not responding for that time So Laptop screen stays dark after loging in and cursor only is ... the next time I switched it on this erroneous problem started Everytime I switched it on the HP logo comes and then the Windows logo also comes But then the screen stays black and only the mouse cursor is seen So what can be the cause of this problem I also tried to open with safe mode and safe mode with command prompt but they did not help either Note- I already tried the discharging method after taking off the battery and holding down the power button It could not help All LED's are working fine I have no extra monitor so I cannot check the display elsewhere Also I ran all the memory tests which shown everything is fine Please suggest what can I do now as I cannot enter the laptop now What can be the reason Solved Go

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/Laptop-screen-stays-dark-after-loging-in-and-cursor-only-is/td-p/5793353
Relevancy 62.78%

Hi AllAfter deep sleep mode i reboot laptop and see the Lenovo ligo and turning dots.nothing hapoens after this. I just get a blank or dark screen. As i am not a computer expert i need a simple explanation to a solution. thanks

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-carbon-laptop-Dark-screen-after-deep-sleep-mode/td-p/3357608
Relevancy 61.92%

This happens as soon as the VGA adapter is plugged in. Unplugging it does not turn the laptop screen back on. Toggling with the function keys does nothing. Since I cannot see anything I cannot try to adjust/correct display settings (or do anything for that matter, other than turn the laptop off by holding power key down).

The second display works (tested with a different laptop).

History: The external display worked fine with this laptop. We had a power failure yesterday which turned it off. The screen toggled to the laptop successfully (or I did, with the function keys--I don't remember) and I continued working. When power returned I started running into this issue. I reinstalled the display drivers from the original manufacturer disc but the problem persists.

msi A4000, Celeron dual Core T3100, Windows 7 Ultimate x64
NVIDIA? MCP79MVL, GeForce? 8200M G, Shared
External display: Acer LCD, AL 1916C

A:Laptop black when external display plugged in, #2 display also dark.

To shut down properly hit the Winkey, then the right arrow, then Enter.

This may be as simple as capacitors overcharged. Shut down, unplug, remove battery. Hold power button down for 20 secs.
Do same for monitor.
Then try.

http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/377871-laptop-black-when-external-display-plugged-2-display-also-dark.html
Relevancy 61.92%

Hi guys recently my Laptop started to have problems with shutting down restarting and the screen going dark when you havent used your computer for a while Shut down Phase When I shut down my computer the screen goes through the usual stuff like shutting down etc but when the screen goes off the laptop still stays on and wont turn off properly leaving the led lights etc still running the sound and fans still going but with Going Restarting Laptop Screen / down R2 Alienware Dark / Shutting problem M17x screen off Only way I can turn it off is holding the power button down Restarting Phase When I restart my computer it wont load the main screen you see first when booting just stays as the above Shut down phase where the screen is off and the computer is still running etc Screen Going Dark Inactivity Of Use When I Alienware M17x R2 Laptop problem with Shutting down / Restarting / Screen Going Dark leave my computer inactive and the screen goes off it does the same as the shut down and restart periods My Specs Case Alienware M x R Space Black Monitor in Wide UXGA x - Beyond HD p RGBLED Motherboard BIOS Alienware A Processor Intel Core i qm CPU GHZ MB Cache Memory MB MHz Dual Channel DDR SDRAM x Graphics Card Single GB ATI Mobility Radeon HD Hard Drive GB rpm Serial ATA Hard Drive Sound Card IDT Dell Alienware M X R Headphones Speedlink Medusa NX Gaming Keyboard Internal UK Irish Qwerty Keyboard Mouse Microsoft Intellipoint Mouse Pad Alienware M x Mousepad If anyone can help resolve the problem or has any solutions please let me know Thanks Jamie nbsp

A:Alienware M17x R2 Laptop problem with Shutting down / Restarting / Screen Going Dark

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/alienware-m17x-r2-laptop-problem-with-shutting-down-restarting-screen-going-dark.959147/
Relevancy 55.9%

hi my laptop screen is set to turn off after 5 mins, when it does i cannot wake it, no matter what buttons i push or using my mouse. this black screen also happens when i restart my computer, it logs me off the the screen goes black and computer power lights are still on and it does nothing HELP! haha thanks

Nathan

A:laptop screen goes black when i restart, and screen wont wake up after it turns off

Boot the computer and press F8 in the Advanced Boot menu choose Last Known Good Configuration.
What is the make and model# of the computer? Go to the manufactures support/download drivers site and download the Chipset and the Video driver for the computer.
Go to Start/Search and type powercfg.cpl. Right click the powercfg results and Run As Administrator. Click Change Plan Settings/change Advanced power settings. Reset your power settings to your liking.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/laptop-screen-goes-black-when-i-restart-and-screen-wont-wake-up-after-it-turns-off-698507.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Hello and thanks for reading I have a year old HP pavilion dv series laptop running windows Yesterday I turned it on and it started normally but when I tried to browse on Firefox it gave me the blue screen for the first time ever and it shut down Fearing I had a virus I ran it in safe mode blinking Laptop blue cursor crash HP screen screen black with now and started a scan and began HP Laptop blue screen crash now black screen with blinking cursor transporting my pictures via Dropbox just in case it died on me Sure enough a weird error message couldnt HP Laptop blue screen crash now black screen with blinking cursor figure out what program made the message pop up popped up saying I had a bunch of urgent viruses I didn t click on it at all and before I couldn t think of what to do the blue screen popped up and it shut down When I tried to restart it the HP splash sign popped up and the screen flickered black and a blinking HP Laptop blue screen crash now black screen with blinking cursor cursor started in the upper left corner So this is where I stand now Black screen with blinking cursor Set default setting in BIOS didn t work and F safe mode or F system restore does nothing The black screen just stays there Any ideas Is it a gonner I m hoping to get back on and get my pictures if possible Help please nbsp

A:HP Laptop blue screen crash now black screen with blinking cursor

sounds like a bug -click report and ask to move to malware forum

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hp-laptop-blue-screen-crash-now-black-screen-with-blinking-cursor.1033666/
Relevancy 55.9%

First of all, I am not sure if I am posting this in the right section. If not, please guide me to the correct section.
I have a Dell Inspiron 17r SE Laptop and my problem is that every single time, I have to turn my Laptop ON twice in order for it to boot up successfully. The first time I turn it on, Dell logo appears for a second and then, black screen shows up. Then, I have to turn my laptop off and start it back again. Second time, it boots up without any problem. I am fed up of turning it on twice everytime, and also concerned that it will affect health of my Laptop . How can I fix this Issue, please help.
I don't have a Recovery CD or Windows 8 CD. Windows 8 was pre-installed on my Laptop.

A:Laptop screen goes black on startup, have to turn laptop ON twice for it to boot up s

If it's still under warranty, call Dell. The unit or parts might be covered for replacement.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/laptop-screen-goes-black-on-startup-have-to-turn-laptop-on-twice-for-it-to-boot-up-s-693137.html
Relevancy 55.9%

when I connect to screen mirroring device my laptop screen goes black. The screen mirroring device screen also stay black, it does show it is loading but it never mirrors laptop. Need to enable laptop screen to mirror not turn off.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/437696-how-do-i-enable-laptop-screen-goes-black-when-i-am-switching-screen-mirroring.html
Relevancy 55.9%

I recently did a factory restore on my laptop since it was giving me really bad problems before BSOD on boot unable to start in safe mode etc I assumed that black failure; Laptop followed random by screen colors screen it was caused by a bad video driver installation Once I did my factory restore this problem was solved but it seems like a new one arose In the first few days the laptop was working fine but I recently realised that if I unplug my AC Laptop screen failure; random colors followed by black screen Adapter my laptop would work for awhile but will eventually die The screen would just go black then I would see weird colors and then it would go black again and I would be forced to hold the power button and restart The funny thing is this never happens when I have it plugged in I then realised that it happened when I plugged it out and moved it around so I assumed it had something to do with the wiring inside my laptop But it seems that isn t the case since even if I move it around while it s plugged in it doesn t happen I m pretty sure it has something to do with my power supply at this point but I m not really sure If anyone can help I would really appreciate it EDIT It just happened to me as I tried to access my task manager I did CTLR ALT DEL and my screen went black and my laptop simply restarted itself nbsp

A:Laptop screen failure; random colors followed by black screen

EDIT: It seems it has gotten way worse. It happened while it was plugged in, and not only that, but when I tried to turn on my laptop again, the screen remained black and I heard these beeping noises. (6 beeps in succession, over and over) Sometimes I turned it on and it didn't even beep. I managed to actually get my laptop to boot, but I'm afraid it will happen again.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-screen-failure-random-colors-followed-by-black-screen.185547/
Relevancy 55.9%

Hello I have a Sony Vaio T-series laptop model SVT CXS running windows As of yesterday the touch TV + OK, SCREEN BLACK to (power OK, fan LAPTOP HDMI OK) screen screen is black it doesn't display anything Laptop powers on lights are on fan makes noise etc I was able to plug an HDMI cable from my laptop to my TV and I am able to use the laptop using my TV screen laptop screen is still black but displays on TV works And the odd twist this is a touch screen laptop so I am able to touch my laptop screen and it makes clicks and moves cursor on my TV for some reason the track pad doesn't work while its on TV LAPTOP BLACK SCREEN (power + fan OK, HDMI to TV OK, touch screen OK) display though Any help would be greatly appreciated If you can give me steps into diagnosing the problem that'd be great I live in a small college town and there is only one computer repair shop and since it's a monopoly he rips people off Charges for a diagnostic if you get it fixed it goes towards the repair if not it's Charged my friend for macbook charger and it wasn't even an genuine Apple product

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/588827/laptop-black-screen-power-fan-ok-hdmi-to-tv-ok-touch-screen-ok/
Relevancy 55.47%

Has anyone modified the shellstyle and released a black or dark gray version yet?

A:Dark or Black Shellstyle

taht what i am looking for here.

SlanXP 3 for 7?

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/9336-dark-black-shellstyle.html
Relevancy 55.04%

I'm having a weird problem. My laptop will show a black screen when booting. It seems no matter how long I wait, nothing happens. When I attach an external LCD to the laptop, it shows the Windows load or Windows resume graphics on the external monitor, but not on my laptop screen. As soon as the Desktop Screen with the Windows Login appears, it then appears on my laptop as well.

I also can't seem to get to safe mode. I push f8 and it never comes up I haven't installed any new software or hardware to cause this.
Any thoughts?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-screen-is-black-until-windows-login-screen.560673/
Relevancy 55.04%

I have a gateway laptop (SOLO 5350) and the screen was horribly ripped off(during car accident). Well when I connect my desktop 17" monitor to the port on the back of the laptop and when the windows xp home edition boot screen is finished I get a black screen although the cpu is still workig properly and the monitor is still on. I reboot and press f8 and try to go into safe mode but it just hangs on the screen with all the driver names on it. Can someone guide me in a good direction before I take it to a repair shop?

A:Laptop screen damaged.....black screen at boot

Normally there's a Altfunction+key that switches the desktop from the LCD to a external monitor.. Look around on the top row of keys for a monitor symbol, then use the alternate function key with that key to switch to the monitor.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-screen-damaged-black-screen-at-boot.288662/
Relevancy 55.04%

First post, but I have tried to uninstall video drivers, system restore, random registry fixes, and so forth. I also did a virus scan, showing 17 Trojans (I know, very bad). I am guessing that is how this happened, not sure though. Uninstalling the video drivers helps, until I need to restart it due to new software. Then I can sometimes get to the log in screen, but even after that, It just goes black after a few seconds. I have searched and searched all over, and have not found a fix. Any help?

A:Laptop with Vista has black screen after loading screen

Hi Hackrtanman,

firstly welcome to the forums

Can you post detailed specs of your system.

And can you try to boot into safemode and disable the video card drivers on the system from Device Manager and then restart the system and check.

http://www.vistax64.com/graphic-cards/296826-laptop-vista-has-black-screen-after-loading-screen.html
Relevancy 54.61%

About half an hour ago my LCD showed an ever so slightly darker bar on the screen, i tried doing LCD conditioning but that didn't help and its visible there.

Here is an image showing my problem.

Obviously that is just an edited image, and the bar isn't all that noticeable but it's just noticeable to be annoying. It is NOT image burn and the bar goes from the very top to the very bottom, changing the brightness doesn't get rid of it nor does anything else

anyone have any suggestions?

Relevancy 54.61%

Hi I Just got this Hybrid from Lenovo a week ago it's so new it was made last month Yoga 940m 710 14" an... goes black Nvidia 141-SK dark I had just played CSGO in laptop mode using the m and right after I ended the game the screen went dark I tried the power button but the only thing I could do is reboot and the screen went back to normal nbsp Then last night I was using it in tablet mode not sure what it was I was doing and the same thing happened again I have heard there is an issue with Win but that's when you boot nbsp up I'm concerned this may be a hardware failure particularly the Nvidia GPU as these mobile cards tend to have issues I have the base warranty so I should be able to Yoga 710 141-SK 14" Nvidia 940m goes black dark an... have it looked at anyone nbsp else experience something like what i described should I send it in to be checked Could this be a possible software issue like the Win one Thanks

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/Yoga-710-141-SK-14-quot-Nvidia-940m-goes-black-dark-and-must-be/td-p/3382652
Relevancy 54.61%

Aight im stumped on this one so figured i'd turn to a new place for answers....basically when i boot up Vista after it says preparing ur desktop i see that nice lil fade screen then i just see almost black shapes, mostly triangles. When i boot into safe mode that works no problems. I have been lookin around and actually found 1 or 2 other posts of the same problem where the people had simliar video cards to me....Mine is a Visiontek Radeon x1300 with 512mb....anyone got any ideas????

Relevancy 54.61%

The characters are difficult to read due to the light gray color on a bright screen.How can I increase the font to black to make it easier to see ??? Increasing the size would also help. I found one screen to increase font size but it didn't work.

http://www.tenforums.com/customization/51021-increase-font-gray-dark-black.html
Relevancy 54.61%

I have the Samsung 2333T LCD, but the black levels are too dark, making seeing certain videos and games very difficult. None of the settings in adjusting the monitor fix it. What should I do?

A:Samsung 2333T LCD black levels WAY too dark

BTW changing the color levels doesn't work. Is there a program I can install?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/samsung-2333t-lcd-black-levels-way-too-dark.1003123/
Relevancy 54.18%

my E5-571P laptop screen keeps going black.  i have to opne/.close ro jiggle the screen up/down to ge the screen back.  sometime it last 5 minutes but usually 1-10 seconds only.  Very frustrating.  it seem like it must be the lid sensor.  How do i fix this????

http://community.acer.com/t5/E-and-M-Series-Laptops/my-E5-571P-laptop-screen-keeps-going-black-SCREEN-LID-SENSOR/td-p/432748/jump-to/first-unread-message
Relevancy 53.75%

dArK BlAcK MaGiC sPeLList+917891556551 aghoridArK BlAcK MaGiC sPeLList+917891556551 aghoridArK BlAcK MaGiC sPeLList+917891556551 aghoridArK BlAcK MaGiC sPeLList+917891556551 aghoridArK BlAcK MaGiC sPeLList+917891556551 aghoridArK BlAcK MaGiC sPeLList+917891556551 aghoridArK BlAcK MaGiC sPeLList+917891556551 aghoridArK BlAcK MaGiC sPeLList+917891556551 aghoridArK BlAcK MaGiC sPeLList+917891556551 aghori

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19978066
Relevancy 53.32%

I just recently experienced the black screen on my persario laptop I have Windows XP The battery light is on the windows xp logo comes (new, pls on Black Laptop help) Screen up but right after that the computer stays on this black screen I can actually see the arrow pointer but that s about it I tried rebooting several ways and I also reset Black Screen on Laptop (new, pls help) it but nothing It coninues to stay the same When I leave it on the black screen for awhile it tends to go in standby mode I took the battery out for a minute but when i re-started it quot nothing quot I am trying to fix it myself by reading other helpful msgs on this sight but it does not work for me Also I hear beeping noises by the battery area I hear the fan for about a couple of min or so then dead HELP HELP HELP I need my comp School will be starting up soon I will appreciate anyones help with this nbsp

Relevancy 53.32%

Please help me I was installing a game on my laptop when suddenly the screen went black and all usb devices turned of The computer still runs but the screen stays black with nothing on it I have a Toshiba Satellite A I have tried the method where i would unplug the power cable take out battery hold the power button for - seconds plug back in the power cable and turn it on but it still is black I heard that i might more ram on my laptop I have GB of ram on my laptop and the game i was installing was Skyrim Please help I need am going to my Help: screen laptop! Black on need my laptop in a few days for something REALLY IMPORTANT thanks EDIT hey Help: Black screen on my laptop! yea I fixed the problem I just hooked the laptop to a monitor hit fn f the laptop asked me how i wanted to start windows but only on the monitor i hit start normaly and after that a minute later i got my screen back heh heh nbsp

A:Help: Black screen on my laptop!

Don't have a reliable answer for a quick solution. A great many Toshiba laptops have been having video output failures. Best choice, I would think would be to pay a good tech the $35 (average) cost to see if there is a tech reason.
Alternate solution to to connect an external monitor to the video graphics socket on the back of that Toshiba. If that works, you have a temporary solution. Then have an experienced tech take a look.
It could be something as simple as restoring the video graphics driver from a Toshiba download... Fairly easy to do that if you can use an external monitor to see what you are doi9ng as you download from the Toshiba site, then attempt to install it.
Then you have to figger out what it was you did that caused this failure. You need to know that for whatever fix you attempt.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-black-screen-on-my-laptop.175166/
Relevancy 53.32%

Hello guys
My packard bell model no packard bell apl ajax c3
was working properly I turn it off now when I tried to turn it on again, the power button lights up, but the screen remains black, and all that happens is that the CD drive blinks but is black
I already tried removing the battery, etc, but nothing worked someone has any idea help would be appreciated

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Relevancy 53.32%

My laptop was working one minute Screen laptop XP on HELP Black and then the next it won t When I boot the computer it shows the Window Loading screen with little blue bar then it goes to black screen I ve attempted several times to boot in safe mode but I end Black Screen on XP laptop HELP up with black screen and the safe mode words in all corners and the arrow pointer I put in my Windows Disc and I ve had the computer boot from the disc but that leads me to a blue screen with a x E error and recommends I boot in safe mode which I can t I know the solution is to reinstall Windows XP with the disc or run a repair with the disc but how can I do that if I can t get my computer to boot with the disc or in safe mode I can t get to a C prompt I can t get it to restore to lasted working settings All options lead to black screen or blue screen with error Anyone have any insight Computer repairs shops Circuit City to name is asking upwards of to fix this problem Please tell me I can do it myself Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 53.32%

my windows 8 acer aspire laptop
turns on fan+lights work
but only have black screen will not do anything
if i wait 5 mins or so it powers of again

A:black screen laptop

Which drivers have you updated lately? Have you done a BIOS upgrade? What software have you installed lately? Has your hard drive failed? Have you run a Memtest to insure your RAM is not loose or failing. These are few of the things that can cause this problem. Have you plugged in to a external monitor What happens if you do?

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/56921-black-screen-laptop.html
Relevancy 53.32%

I have a Dell Inspiron 2500 with 128mb of ram and a 900mhz processor that I recently installed XP Pro SP2 on. I don't really know how to describe this, but here it goes.
When I turn on my computer, it boots up normally, (as in I see the XP Pro boot screen) but, when I get to the welcome screen, the screen goes black, but the my laptop is still on because I can still hear the sounds that are associated with the XP boot up. Right now, the only way I can solve this is by attaching my monitor that is hooked up to my desktop and attach that to my laptop and then pressing the "Fn" key and F8 at the same time. (I think that this changes where the screen is displayed).
How can I fix this anoying problem?

Thanks

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/laptop-black-screen-127491.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Hello. I purchased a Compaq F572 Notebook with Vista about 3 weeks ago. All of a sudden now, when I turn on the laptop, the welcome screen appears and as soon as the taskbar starts to display, it goes to a black screen. The only way I can get my laptop desktop to show up is to connect a second monitor, with both monitors displaying the desktop. When I disconnect the second monitor and turn the laptop back on, the same thing happens - welcome screen and then black screen. My display settings are set for "mirrored" image. Please help!! Thank you!!!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-screen-on-laptop.618307/
Relevancy 53.32%

Hey everyone. I'm hoping you can help me with this problem.

I have an Asus K55V laptop with Win7 installed. I normally use an external monitor plugged in while i play games. Apparently there's 2 graphic cards in the laptop, an Intel HD4000 and a Nvidia GT630M. I don't know if this is possible, but I tried disabling the Inten HD4000 in device manager so the laptop would use the Nvidia card only. This gave me a problem, and now my laptop screen is totally dead, even after restarting the system several times. This happens with and without the external monitor.

Anyone who can help me?

A:Black screen on laptop

Hi, and welcome to TSF.

Try taking out the battery and replacing it, then reboot.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/black-screen-on-laptop-674743.html
Relevancy 53.32%

So I was using an external hard drive to transfer some files from my desktop to my laptop I was transferring files to the external hard drive when it had some sort of error can Black is Screen Laptop t remember specifically what it was I decided to plug in a laptop charger into the external driver then plugged the usb back into the drive I suddenly heard the external hard drive working like crazy then there was this smell that smelled like paint coming from the external hard drive Holy crap did I just fry it I didn t notice the smell Laptop Screen is Black at first I also can t say that the smell was too foul Anyway my computer said that the external hard drive was installed but I can t seem to find it on My Computer So I Laptop Screen is Black thought whatever I have most of the files I needed anyway I unplugged the usb from the drive and plugged it into the drive on the laptop Then holy crap the laptop fan went off like mad almost times faster then it was going at the moment The laptop screen went green then the entire thing turned off By then I found out that it was a bad idea to plug a laptop charger into an external hard drive then into a laptop What the hell was I thinking I turned the laptop back on Okay the power supply and motherboard is working The lights turn on when I press the power button some other light turns on whenever I plugged in a charger for the laptop Everything seems to be functioning except that the laptop screen is black and there s nothing I can do to make the screen work I tried plugging a monitor up with a laptop but nothing worked The screen just won t work I m using a Hp Compaq CQ Any help would be appreciated Thank you nbsp

Relevancy 53.32%

Hey all I Have a Dell Latitude D running windows that has a completely black screen this machine was brought in by the end user complaining about a bad left click We were just giving her the original machine the display has Black Laptop Screen been working flawlessly so far but when the user gets back to her office and plugged the machine in the Black Laptop Screen display died Now the computer is running fine I can hook up an external monitor and everything works fine I have updated the drivers but nothing shows up still If I go into the display settings it doesn t even detect the laptop screen it only finds the external monitor that I have plugged in so I can work on Black Laptop Screen it I really don t want to have to replace the screen but I don t really know what could be causing this other than screen failure but again but again this machine hasn t had any issues with its monitor before Any help would be much appreciated and Thanks in advance nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-laptop-screen.935626/
Relevancy 53.32%

I keep my Toshiba Satellite laptop on the bed while charging.
Today when I turned on, the power light and hard drive lights were on and green lights blinked. But my screen still shows black. Please help.

A:Laptop is on but the screen is black

Can you hear the hard drive start up? Also if you look real close at the screen can you make out anything on the screen? The backlight may have burned out. Also was the computer running while it was charging? I'm guessing no as you said "you turned it on this morning."

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-is-on-but-the-screen-is-black.1140768/
Relevancy 53.32%

why has my battery stopped working, and does this have anything to do with the screen staying black?

A:why has my laptop screen gone black

mmm Have you tried booting up with the mains adapter connected and powered up?Also - what make and model is your laptop?message edited by trvlr

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-vista/why-has-my-laptop-screen-gone-black/14080.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Hi, it's been a while!

I have a HP Pavillion dv7 laptop. I am using Vista. Recently, my laptop keeps getting a black screen when I am in the middle of doing something. I have to hold in the power button until it shuts off and turn my computer back on. I lose whatever I was working on. I have 139GB free of 287GB. I am not sure what is going on, but it is getting REALLY annoying, real fast!

Any input?

Thanks!!

A:Black Screen on HP Laptop

Looks like this happens most when I start windows media player...

I have found threads with the cursor, but I have no cursor...just a black screen...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-screen-on-hp-laptop.916305/
Relevancy 53.32%

I am working on a dell inspiron 9400. The screen on the laptop is black with nothing at boot on through startup. It works fine with an external monitor. Everything I have read says this would be the screen itself, the invertor, or the cable to the motherboard. I have tried a new screen with the inverter installed as well as a new cable but nothing changes. Any help would be appreciated.

A:Laptop screen black

You could try a BIOS flash, if this doesn't work then it could be a fault with the motherboard... I've had similar to this with an Acer Aspire One netbook. Good luck

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-screen-black.1030035/
Relevancy 53.32%

Hey computer wizards my Gateway laptop Windows Vista which isn t even a year old yet seems to have died I was on it last night and it was running very slow and freezing so Help! up laptop black a comes screen? My with I had no choice but to force shut it by pressing the power button BAD mistake but Help! My laptop comes up with a black screen? it was the only way When I turned it back on the power button is lit it first said something about a quot fatal error quot sounds scary already on a black screen and then I click repair and it says something about quot crash dump quot Help! My laptop comes up with a black screen? and contact technical Help! My laptop comes up with a black screen? support with a blue screen Therefore I pressed the power button again to see if that will make it return back to normal Nope now the monitor is completely black as if it isn t on but it is cause the power button is lit I am a complete computer idiot so any hints on what I should do did i blow the monitor fuse do i have to get it to the geek squad thanks is it bye bye computer time already nbsp

Relevancy 53.32%
Relevancy 53.32%

Have tried everything.

It powers on, fan runs, screen stays black with internet light red and caps lock steady white blink every 4 seconds.
Have tried removing battery, power cord, holding power button for 30 seconds.....
Tried removing mem and starting.
f8 does nothing....

A:HELP...hp laptop black screen

Hi,

1. Have you tried plugging in an external monitor?
2. Do you get the Splash screen at start.......anything?
3. Can you get into the BIOS?
4. Can you boot into safe-mode?
5. Is the screen totally black or can you see anything faint at all/backlight etc?

Also, your laptop model may have a design flaw. And this maybe an answer:

Quote:
Open the screen to a wider angle before pushing the power button. If the angle of the screen to the keyboard is less than 90 degrees it appears to trigger the problem. By opening to wider than 90 degrees, the problem goes away. Once the screen is activated it doesn't matter what angle the screen is put at. The wide angle is only necessary at boot up.

Cheers

Dave

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/290079-help-hp-laptop-black-screen.html
Relevancy 53.32%

new here and need help.My son has a HP zd7000 laptop running windows xp.the problem is the screen on the laptop is black,the computer is running, if you connect it to another monitor (TV) it seems to be operating fine,all programs,internet conection,etc..just a black screen on the laptop itself.We tried the flash light to the screen and it showed nothing,we tried the brightness controls,nothing,we tried the fn f8 button still no good.any ideas? thanks

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/black-screen-on-laptop.42789/
Relevancy 53.32%

I have an old Toshiba satellite 1800 laptop running XP home - the problem is the screen went black.
I thought that it was the backlights and was ready to write it off (it works OK if you plug a monitor in) but the screen just came back. It went off again after a while but I found that if I hit the little button that causes it to beep if you close the screen up before it has shut down the screen comes back on. Unfortunately it doesn't stay on long, but every time you hit the button it will come back.
Is there a fix for this?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-black-screen.566527/
Relevancy 53.32%

hi i have a acer espire 1690 notbook that has just started giving me some trouble..when i bootup i can hear the windows vista jingle but i cant get a picture,i tried hooking it up to another monitor and i got the windows logo but then i got a message saying checking file system on c:..then i get another message saying dumping memory..after that it just goes into the same loop...sounds expensive to me...hope someone can shed some light on this problem ..running win vista..kind regards john...is a i took it to a pc shop to fit a video card how much would the repair cost approx...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-screen-on-my-laptop.847852/
Relevancy 53.32%

Hello everyone I always find this site useful so I wanted to post this question before I head out and purchase a new laptop today I purchased an HP g - dx http support hp com us-en document c laptop years ago Paid for it and have been EXTREMELY happy with it Fast and did everything I wanted it to I have always just closed the top and let it stay in sleep mode and would simply reopen it in the morning for another days Laptop Black Screen use Laptop Black Screen I went to open it yesterday morning and I heard the fan amp dvd drive quot start up quot like they always do but then no image on the screen I thought quot well that has never happened quot So my only option was to hold down the power button to reboot which I did and the same thing happened After looking online I tried a quot hard reset quot or something along those lines that consisted of removing the battery holding down the power button for - seconds then plugging it in booting up then shutting down and then replacing the battery That did not work I swapped the memory module underneath the laptop nothing either So after taking it to Best Buy Geek Squad they removed the hard drive and tried a boot and still got nothing He told me it is most likely the motherboard which was an estimated fix with parts and labor to send out for a fix I decided to do some research and think about it So my question is sorry for taking so long to get to it if the motherboard was fried would I still get power to the dvd drive amp wifi button if that was the case Because I do have power to those two I should note that there is absolutely ZERO activity on the quot hard drive activity light quot that is on the outside of the case So does this indeed sound like a motherboard issue I just have NEVER had one go out in any machine I have ever owned I was hoping maybe someone knew of a possible fix that I haven t tried yet before investing money today Thanks for any suggestions nbsp

Relevancy 53.32%

My vista laptop has been acting unusual for the past week.
Normally after it has goes to sleep, I touch any key and it wakes up.
But now when I touch a key, it wakes up, but the screen stays black. :-(

I can shine a flashlight and see that the icons are vaguely present.
There is a function key to switch the display from external to internal
or both. When I select that key, I will get a regular display for about 3 seconds.
Then I select that key again and same response.
After about 5 or so of these, the screen is normal (until next sleep).
I tried restoring to Jan 13, before the updates and it still has
the problem. I also ran chkdsk and no help.

And when I connect an external monitor, the external monitor only shows my
wallpaper, it has no icons.

Any ideas what this is?

A:laptop screen goes black

Have you tried updating your graphics driver yet?

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/304301-laptop-screen-goes-black.html