Windows Support Forum

2008 Server backup solution what software works best

Q: 2008 Server backup solution what software works best

I am looking for a good backup solution for 2008 Server std x64. This server is an upgrade from 03 and I really liked that solution but no support for 2008.I had a USR 8700 NAS on a fiber connection to another building. Using the falconstor Disk Safe Client. I liked the ability to mount the backups as a drive. The speed of the iscsi interface. and the monitory with e-mail notification, I have looked at falconstor's site and saw some of there current software however no pricing, and price is a big issue.I have also found backup assist. I looked at it and seems more a wbadmin script writer with a couple needed perks. Anybody know any other options, or a way to make falconstor disksafe work on 2008 x64??
Thanks in advance

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/2008-server-backup-solution-what-software-works-best.145416/
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: 2008 Server backup solution what software works best

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 74.82%

Hello all I'm new to the forum First let me give some background I am a police Backup Solution Server officer in the New Orleans area I am in charge of my departments laptops desktops and server network I have no formal computer training I Server Backup Solution am one of those people who likes to know how things work and over the years I have taught myself how to work on and fix computers I am the Server Backup Solution quot IT quot guy at my department even though I have no formal training google is a big part of what I do Whenever I have an actual computer guru working on something for me I pay attention and take notes I have some knowledge now of basic networking things I currently have servers All Windows based Server and On two of my servers I have external drives for storage of video files I currently have Lacie TB drives set to RAID and a TB drive also RAID These two servers run and save video and audio from our in car dash cameras and IP crime camera network One server is my domain controller and DHCP This server also contains all of the departments network shares as well as all crash reports Each officer has a folder to store their documents such as warants trip sheets and whatever they need or want to store The administration stores their statistics in a shared folder including stats for the FBI and other state nad federal agencies we are required to report crime stats to The last server stores all criminal reports including the report statements evidence forms and anything that is printed on paper that is attached to the case file This is what I need I am looking for a cost effective backup solution I do not have a large budget as we are a small department I have looked into Barracuda networks which is an appliance and a cloud backup option This will cost - depending on the appliance plus the yearly cloud backup fee I have also looked into Backup Exec This will cost about for software and then I would need a large NAS and a seperate cloud solution My next idea was a NAS with backup Exec and instead of a cloud backup I would get a second NAS and place it off site either at my house or a city owned property and backup to that also My question is is that possible with Backup Exec and high speed internet service that the department and I have I was thinking that would be the least expensive option although not as secure and rock solid My DC and DHCP server does have a RD drive but those disks are expensive and the server treats it like a CD rom drive and not a HDD so recovering a single file is not possible Then that disk would need to be changed often and it will not backup all the data I have from all the servers so I ruled that out I do have Symantec Ghost for my laptops and desktop images but I'm not sure if that would image a server and that is still not a good backup solution I would also like to hear any other suggestions any of you have Thanks for your time

A:Server Backup Solution

you may want more than backup. do you have a DR / BC plan in place?

The Disaster Recovery Plan - Business Insider

https://www.drj.com/tools/tools/sample-plans.html

otherwise, i've been wanting to try out Crash Plan's services for backup. If i ever get to it, I'll set it up for a home server,

Online Data Backup - Offsite, Onsite, & Cloud - CrashPlan Backup Software

http://www.techist.com/forums/f155/server-backup-solution-258987/
Relevancy 72.24%

Hi,

We have about 10TB of data that we regularly need to have access for. We need to access it for about a year after it was created.

I am looking for a backup solution for this data. If we lose any of it, it would be very devastating.

We are running windows server 2003. And currently, all the data is housed on external hard drives that are shared drives on the server.

We are a small business, and don't have a huge amount of money to spend on hardware, or software.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-a-backup-solution-for-server-2003-with-10tb-of-data.903296/
Relevancy 71.81%

Anyone use this at home or work? I am basically trying to find out if there is a command line utility (exe) to perform functions such as delete, rename, cancel accounts.

In Veritas Netbackup there is a utility aspcommandush.exe. Looking for its equivalent in Altiris Recovery Solution.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/altiris-recovery-solution-backup-software.857657/
Relevancy 70.52%

I have a 2008 server and I'm trying to re-install Crystal reports software becuase of a missing dll. I can re-install without any problems, and when I go into the software it works fine, but when I log off and log back on, I have the same problems taht I had before re-installing.

It's like the re-install did not happen, I'm and admin on the server and I'm also running the setup.exe as admin, what could be the problem.

Thanks in advance.

A:Server 2008 re-install software

Quote: Originally Posted by dplociac

I have a 2008 server and I'm trying to re-install Crystal reports software becuase of a missing dll. I can re-install without any problems, and when I go into the software it works fine, but when I log off and log back on, I have the same problems taht I had before re-installing.

It's like the re-install did not happen, I'm and admin on the server and I'm also running the setup.exe as admin, what could be the problem.

Thanks in advance.

Are you running any anti virus or firewall apps?
Ken

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/91671-server-2008-re-install-software.html
Relevancy 70.09%

I have been using WHS for the past week or so and I really love its potential The problem I m having with it at the moment is that certain computers network restore. Home Server-like with solution for bare-metal Windows backup Looking backups seem to fail inexplicably and so far I haven t been able to figure out why If I can I d love to stay with WHS If I can t get WHS to work reliably then I m looking for a good alternative backup solution for my Windows computers Here s what I would like Management from one central location I love how I can install the Windows Home Server Console on Looking for Windows Home Server-like network backup solution with bare-metal restore. each client computer and then I can manage all of the backups from one place It s much easier than running around to each computer to configure the backups Single-instance storage or deduplication A huge potential HDD space saver when you have a lot of wasted space with two computers backing up the exact same file Bare-metal restore Again I love how WHS makes it easy to restore using a boot CD and a network connection That way in the event of a client hard drive dying I just pop a new drive into the computer reload the image and we re back to normal without having to worry about reinstalling Windows software drivers et cetera Price WHS is a steal at roughly with support for up to computers Seems many client-server backup programs can easily cost or and that s a little steep for me at the moment I would prefer to run Windows on the server but if the best solution was something with a server running Linux I would be willing to do that Any suggestions nbsp

A:Looking for Windows Home Server-like network backup solution with bare-metal restore.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/looking-for-windows-home-server-like-network-backup-solution-with-bare-metal-restore.887350/
Relevancy 68.37%

I have a problem.

I run a Windows Server 2008 R2 machine that amongst other things, acts as a media store/server. I recently got a Windows Phone 7 handset that can only synchronise content via Zune (ridiculous, I know), but Zune refuses to install on Server 2008 R2, saying it can only be installed on XP and Windows 7.

I have installed most of the Win 7 components missing from Server 2008 R2 so I'm not worried about compatibility, I just want to know, how can I force install an application to an OS that it is not 'allowed' to be installed on.

If I can't get Zune onto the Server, I'm effectively barred from transfering music and video to my phone. Please help.

Krytie

A:How to force install Win7 software on Windows Server 2008 R2?

Having done some more research I have found this:

How to install Zune software on Windows 2008 R2. - RobMensching.com /Blog

Seems to work on my system, posted here incase anyone else is having this problem.

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/176588-how-force-install-win7-software-windows-server-2008-r2.html
Relevancy 64.5%

Hi all

i currently use 'iDrive' which does a daily backup of my computer. This is all good but i have got my own web server which has a 1 TB hard disk inside and is always connected to my home network and the internet.

I am looking for a piece of software (preferably free) that family and friends can use on their computers and connect to my server and backup their important documents automatically.

Without sounding horrid, a lot of my friends and family are not very experienced with computers and so i am needing a piece of software that once setup it will backup their documents and pictures etc with out them having to do anything or only having to press a few buttons.

Not sure if this type of software exists but if anybody knows of software that does this i would be very grateful.

Thank you

JPLamb

A:Free Backup software + Own Server

Check out Syncback.
http://www.2brightsparks.com/downloads.html

There is a free version.
Here is a comparison chart between their commercial and free versions >
http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/compare.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/free-backup-software-own-server.828477/
Relevancy 64.5%

Hello All

I am looking for a backup software that can support backing up to multiple media sets. I wish to use it to backup all data on my server to an offsite location and the media sets to be used will be external HDDs.

Please help

A:Solved: Backup Software - Server End

http://www.disk-image.net/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-backup-software-server-end.1064553/
Relevancy 62.35%

Hello In the DISA Security Technical Implementation Guides STIGS there is a test for event tracing V nbsp The STIG indicates that if you are running Win the absence of etwenable false is not a 'finding' because event tracing R2 question event tracing 2008 2008, Enterprise server is enabled by default on servers and it should be enabled and running Is this the same for windows R Enterprise Server I cannot find the element etwenable in my R Enterprise server test system it does not exist Does that mean the requirement for the STIG is met and event tracing nbsp IS enabled by default on Win R Enterprise Servers nbsp No further action is required to enable nbsp Is there an easy way to verify it actually is enabled nbsp Check registry value run script Excerpt from the STIG Microsoft Dot Net Framework STIG Rule Title nbsp Event tracing for Windows ETW for Common Language Runtime events must be enabled STIG ID APPNET nbsp Rule ID SV- r rule 2008, 2008 R2 Enterprise server event tracing question nbsp Vuln ID V- Severity CAT II Class Unclass NOTE Beginning with 2008, 2008 R2 Enterprise server event tracing question Windows Vista and Windows Server ETW Tracing is 2008, 2008 R2 Enterprise server event tracing question enabled by default and the quot etwEnable quot setting is not required in order for Event Tracing to be enabled nbsp An etwEnable setting of quot true quot IS required in earlier versions of Windows as ETW is disabled by default Thank you V R Bill William C BC Davis PMP CISSP IASO Lead Infosec Engineer Scientist Comm nbsp nbsp DSN nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp Cell nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp Office nbsp nbsp wdavis mitre org NIPRNET SIPRNET JWICS or GOV email on request nbsp quot what enables the wise commander to strike and conquer and achieve things beyond the reach of ordinary men is knowledge quot Sun Tzu - BC quot which is gained at a suitable or opportune time quot nbsp wcd

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/7c611ed7-2952-4913-b702-9ae65a893719/2008-2008-r2-enterprise-server-event-tracing-question?forum=w7itproinstall
Relevancy 59.77%

Background I backup Solution: location, delete Recovery Samsung old backup recently started helping my father in law get his Samsung NP-Q -JA HK laptop back to working order He had not used it in a couple of years and when I tried tuning it I found that it was extremely slow A Malwarebytes scan Windows updates and some other actions failed to do the trick So I used his laptop's Samsung Recovery Samsung Recovery Solution: backup location, delete old backup Solution program to do a complete restore to factory condition I did this at boot Samsung Recovery Solution: backup location, delete old backup time pressed F until Samsung Recovery Solution launched a special Windows session The restoration seems to have done the trick the laptop is once more responsive Now I am doing the agony of years of Windows updates If you have any special tricks to speed this up lemme know Questions The reason why I am posting is that while doing the restore I noticed that there were backups on the D drive which is actually a special partition used by Samsung Recovery Solution I picked the oldest one guessing that it was the original factory backup and that seems to be correct That said I would now like to delete the other one as it is unknown garbage at this point Unfortunately when I run the Samsung Recovery Solution program I see no option whatsoever to delete an old backup So Have I overlooked anything in the Samsung Recovery Solution GUI Can Samsung Recovery Solution be upgraded to a later version e g Samsung Recovery Solution and can later versions delete old backups The official Samsung support website for this model only lists version which is not too hopeful Deleting this old backup manually seems to be impossible When I look at D using Windows Explorer all the used space is in the D SamsungRecovery directory and its contents are several files which have a name like user XXX Most of the files are exactly GB in size They are obviously some custom Samsung file format None can obviously be deleted

A:Samsung Recovery Solution: backup location, delete old backup

Hello up2trix and welcome to Seven Forums.

I'm not familiar with the Samsung Recovery Solution so I won't be any help with your specific questions. However, one of the Forum experts has prepared a very detailed tutorial on how to do a Clean Reinstall of Windows 7. It even includes instructions on how to obtain a legal copy of Windows 7 with SP1 installation disk.

Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7

Once the clean install is finished, you could make use of the Windows 7 hotfix rollup that was released by Microsoft in 2013. It contains the first 90 or so hotfixes that were released after SP1. That should save you some time doing the updates.

http://www.sevenforums.com/news/282157-hidden-patch-tuesday-gem-windows-7-hotfix-rollup.html

Hope some of this helps.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/360059-samsung-recovery-solution-backup-location-delete-old-backup.html
Relevancy 58.48%

Long ago I learned that setting up all the software that I use after a clean a solution? Windows Is reliable Backup backup install of Windows is a process that can take weeks and not something I want to go through more than a few times in my life I ve long searched for the best backup solution that would allow me to backup my entire OS setup The process I ve been using most recently - use Vista s built-in quot Backup Is Windows Backup a reliable backup solution? and Restore Center quot feature quot Backup Entire Computer quot - do this once a week on a slim USB HDD that I store in water and fire proof safe Question - can someone recommend a better solution Question - is Is Windows Backup a reliable backup solution? this a reliable solution I haven t actually had HHD failure since I ve been using this system but I have no idea what it would look like if I had to restore from backup Would I boot from the external HDD Or would I use Vista boot CD and somehow restore from there Would it restore just fine if my hardware has changed Question - Can I restore such backup taken with Vista on a machine with Windows Or does it override the whole thing Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 58.48%

Checking out the windows backup option bundled with the OS.. In the past, I have used an older version of Acronis to build backup jobs, etc. The new backup looks to be pretty good initially, but I am wondering if anyone has any experience with how well it performs... I know I have been asking a lot of questions lately, but figured one more would not hurt..

A:Windows Backup vs 3rd party Backup solution.

ML

We love the questions. win 7 backup utility works for most ppl. I use it in addition to Acronis. I like the ability to pour an image back to the same or different partitions and for that Acronis fits the bill. For straight backup the OS partition win 7's backup works fine. So its 6 of one half a dozen of the other. If I had to pick one and only one it would be Acronis

Ken

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/24305-windows-backup-vs-3rd-party-backup-solution.html
Relevancy 58.05%

While I'm still stabilising the overclock on my PC, can I ask if anyone has installed Visual Studio 2008 & SQL Server 2008 on Windows 7 x64 7600? If you do get any hiccups during install but manage to install it, does it run alright? Any problems? I'm interested in C# and ASP.NET development only. Thanks.

A:VS 2008 & SQL Server 2008 compatibility

Get the service packs. They run just fine.

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/29121-vs-2008-sql-server-2008-compatibility.html
Relevancy 57.62%

I have 2 servers; windows 2000 & windows 2008, I can always access them via XP but my system 7 home can't authenticate. It appears to add the domain name as a preamble my user name in the authentication....does this make sense?

thank
-Jeff

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/unable-to-logon-to-server-2000-or-server-2008-from-windows-7-home-469638.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Hi, I am going to install windows 2008 server on the IBM server x3650 7979 and couldn't get the supportive RAID Serv as the I am currently got the IBM ServerGuide Setup and Installation CD version 7.4.17 for adaptec RAID controller 8K but it does not have windows 2008 server option. Do assist me in this regard. thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/installing-the-windows-2008-server-on-ibm-x3650-7979-server.759025/
Relevancy 57.62%

I have a Access database residing on one sever and an installation of SQL Server residing Server 2008 gives SQL error Access 2000 Linked from to Server db on another Both servers are running Windows Server I created a linked server using the code below When I run EXEC sp tables ex PropCont I get the following quot OLE DB error trace OLE DB Provider Microsoft Jet OLEDB IDBInitialize Initialize returned x The provider did not give Linked Server from SQL Server 2008 to Access 2000 db gives error any information about the error Msg Level State Procedure sp tables ex Line OLE DB provider Microsoft Jet OLEDB reported an error The provider did not give any information about the error quot I tried changing the code to specify my account information which has Administrative privileges on the domain and I get quot OLE DB error trace OLE DB Provider Microsoft Jet OLEDB IDBInitialize Initialize returned x e d Authentication failed Msg Level State Procedure sp tables ex Line OLE DB provider Microsoft Jet OLEDB reported an error Authentication failed quot Originally I was getting an error that said quot The workgroup information file is missing or opened exclusively by another user quot I found an article on line that suggested I do the following quot Open SSMS Expand Server Objects Linked Servers Providers Double click the provider Microsoft Jet OLEDB UNTICK the quot Allow inprocess quot option quot I did this and I stopped getting that error but started getting the error I listed above however when I went back and checked the quot Allow inprocess quot option was still checked I can t get it to remain unchecked I can t find anything regarding how to specify the MDW file which is located in the same folder as the database file Another article suggested making sure it is checked and also checking quot Nested Queries quot This had no effect I believe the linked server has been created correctly as I can see it and it s properties in SSMS and it shows up in the list of linked servers when I run EXEC sp helplinkedsrvlogin The Access database has been in use for years Users access it through the Access runtime Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated EXEC sp addlinkedserver server PropCont provider Microsoft Jet OLEDB srvproduct Access datasrc lt Server Name gt SharedDatabasesPropCont mdb GO EXEC sp addlinkedsrvlogin rmtsrvname PropCont useself false rmtuser Admin rmtpassword GO nbsp

Relevancy 56.76%

Hi guys What free Antivirus software for servers What free anti-malware would NOT be a good idea Info My friend has purchased a Poweredge server to act as a fileserver for a private network not connected to the internet He uses laptops at the most to access files on the server However at some points he will update Windows Server Server ? Free Antivirus e.g. for Server Windows 2008 plus odd bits by temporaily hooking up to the Internet and obviously leave himself open Free Server Antivirus ? e.g. for Windows Server 2008 to malware etc for a short time The cost Free Server Antivirus ? e.g. for Windows Server 2008 of server Antivirus is very high and usually effective for workstations upwards and obviously he would appreciate keeping costs down Questions I would appreciate thoughts on ideas for avoiding a costly solution Also if he got Malware on it e g Rootkit or Delta would current Bleeping Computer tools e g Rkill RogueKiller etc still work on the server - or does it require another approach I am asking fior advice BEFORE he gets started while options are open Thanks in advance guys

A:Free Server Antivirus ? e.g. for Windows Server 2008

The answer is fairly simple. Just read the details on the site -
Microsoft Security Essentials is available for small businesses with up to 10 PCs.

• Microsoft Security Essentials:
Microsoft updated it’s free Anti-Virus solution at the end of 2010 to support Windows 2008/R2.
This is easily one of the better free offerings as Microsoft has updated this solution to complete directly with some of the biggest solutions, such as Mcafee and Symantec paid versions.

When downloading, simply choose Windows Vista / Windows 7, as Microsoft has yet to update the website.http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

Regards -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/508094/free-server-antivirus-eg-for-windows-server-2008/
Relevancy 56.76%

We had:

1) 1 Windows Server 2003 running Active Directory services to manage logon and permissions for file sharing.
2) 15 workstations.

We now want to have:

1) 1 Windows Server 2008 R2 server running Active Directory services to manage logon and permissions for file sharing.
2) 15 same workstations, with their same user profiles.

So I joined the 2008 R2 server to the domain, and then used the dcpromo tool to make it a domain controller.

Problem is, whenever I take the old server offline, (the 2003 one) everything flips out, logons are slow, and the 2008 server gives people trying to access shared files weird errors like that the server that authenticated them cannot be contacted, and asks them to log in again with their username and password before accessing shared files on the server.

What did I do wrong? I must be forgetting something.

A:Replacing a Windows 2003 AD DS server with a 2008 R2 AD DS server

1. Transfer all FSMO roles to your 2008 R2 server
2. Uninstall AD on 2003 server
3. You can now permanently take 2003 server offline

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/replacing-a-windows-2003-ad-ds-server-with-a-2008-r2-ad-ds-server.189290/
Relevancy 56.76%

As my final project for the year i am setting up a server that we will eventually move all our computers on to. I am using a poweredge 2900 as a server with windows server 2008 installed. As of now i have 2 computers connected to the domain which they can log on to.

- what i need help with
- How do i give all users access to programs?
- Each student needs to have access to her own drive through the server not locally.
The client computers are connected to a switch using dhcp.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A:setting up a server for school help (windows server 2008)

I'm quite sure your instructor/teacher did not intend for anybody but you to do the final project for the year and nobody else.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/306827-setting-up-server-school-help-windows-server-2008-a.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Hi All I was wondering if someone could help me with an issue that I've been struggling with for some time The core issue symptom is being unable to open roles or features in server manager This is a VPS So cannot boot from CD to repair CO E SERVER EXEC FAILURE x If I try to start the trusted (Server Manager) Server R2 Std CO_E_SERVER_EXEC_FAILURE 2008 installer I get this error I've been trying to follow two CO_E_SERVER_EXEC_FAILURE (Server Manager) Server 2008 R2 Std guides Windows Modules Installer Error - Fix and System Update Readiness Tool - CheckSur log File Analyzis I've checked that the registry path is correct HKLM Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Component Based Servicing Version Which matches the Trusted Installer ID C Windows WinSxS directory Not sure why theres two folders Something odd I noticed the missing components listed in the CheckSUR CO_E_SERVER_EXEC_FAILURE (Server Manager) Server 2008 R2 Std txt file have no version numbers just bf ad e none CheckSUR txt ---------------------------- Checking System Update Readiness Binary Version Package Version - - Checking Windows Servicing Packages Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs Checking Package Watchlist Checking Component Watchlist f CBS Watchlist Component Missing x amd microsoft-windows-browserservice-netapi bf ad e none ad f a e Package for KB bf ad e amd Package registry presence failed possibly an orphaned package on package watchlist f CBS Watchlist Component Missing x amd microsoft-windows-browserservice-netapi bf ad e none ad f a e Package for KB bf ad e amd Package registry presence failed possibly an orphaned package on package watchlist f CBS Watchlist Component Missing x amd microsoft-windows-browserservice-netapi bf ad e none ad f a e Package for KB bf ad e amd Package registry presence failed possibly an orphaned package on package watchlist f CBS Watchlist Component Missing x amd microsoft-windows-browserservice-netapi bf ad e none ad f a e Package for KB bf ad e amd Package registry presence failed possibly an orphaned package on package watchlist f CBS Watchlist Component Missing x amd microsoft-windows-browserservice-netapi bf ad e none ad f a e Package for KB bf ad e amd Package registry presence failed possibly an orphaned package on package watchlist f CBS Watchlist Component Missing x amd microsoft-windows-browserservice-netapi bf ad e none ad f a e Package for KB bf ad e amd Package registry presence failed possibly an orphaned package on package watchlist f CBS Watchlist Component Missing x amd microsoft-windows-browserservice-netapi bf ad e none ad f a e Package for KB bf ad e amd Package registry presence failed possibly an orphaned package on package watchlist f CBS Watchlist Component Missing x amd microsoft-windows-browserservice-netapi bf ad e none ad f a e Summary Seconds executed Found errors CSI Create Hard Link Failed Total count CSI Missing Identity Total count CSI Repairing CreateFile Failed Total count CSI Payload File Missing Total count CBS Watchlist Component Missing Total count

A:CO_E_SERVER_EXEC_FAILURE (Server Manager) Server 2008 R2 Std

The Watchlist components are the things that tie together the Package files with the content - the registry entries are present, but the files aren't.
This creates a problem - as you've found out!
Please upload the full CheckSUR.Persist.log file, and I'll see what I can do about creating a fix - it may take a while!

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/317614-co_e_server_exec_failure-server-manager-server-2008-r2-std.html
Relevancy 55.9%

i have been using application(Visual Basic 6) in my office which uses SQL Server 7.0,now i wants to install windows 7 in my pc,i would like to know whether sql server 7.0 database can be restored in sql server 2008.pls guide me how to do the same

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/migrating-sql-server-7-database-to-sql-server-2008-a-592135.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Hi all Have been a LONG LONG user of Linux as a server hosting VM's XP W mix and file print sharing I used to avoid MS like the plague as far as SERVER environments are concerned - probably because my first experince was Windows NT Windows NeanderThal or Windows No Thanks which was SO HORRIBLE that it put me off Windows servers for ages Note I'm using a server in a HOME for server Linux Windows or Server 2008 environment where we have around machines most of which are actually mine for testing -- not a corporate environment which has other considerations The problem now with the latest Linux distros that they are trying to be quot A Better Windows 2008 Server or Linux for server Windows than Windows quot You can of course customize them but I haven't got the time or patience to do this any more To select what packages to install leave out now is a pain and if Windows 2008 Server or Linux for server you do it wrong the chances are the system will give errors I've looked at the new SUSE -- slick and polished - bit I don't NEED quot an alternative Windows quot I've just been looking at Windows Server R got it from Technet and I'm REALLY IMPRESSED Windows 2008 Server or Linux for server with it so far I've installed the STANDARD version - you don't need datacenter or Enterprise version for a home server It runs vmware server on it just fine although I might go the whole hog and use the Hyper-V virtualisation -- need to do a bit more research I'm quite happy letting MS do the updates than having to mess around with Kernel compiles etc Incidentally as a HOME server there are some considerations that you might want to do to make it more like a Desktop OS than a pure server for example add multi-media to it This guy does a great job at this Convert your Windows Server R to a Workstation - Multiboot Installation W VM's run just fine on W server they should as there is a lot of common code Cheers jimbo

A:Windows 2008 Server or Linux for server

Windows servers have come a very long way in the last few years, I will never use a linux server ever again.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/29397-windows-2008-server-linux-server.html
Relevancy 55.9%

I'm trying to decide between Windows Home Server and Windows Server 2008 R2 for my home server PC. Ordinarily it would be a clear cut choice, but I've got a free copy of Server 2008 R2 through my academic MSDN subscription. I'd like to avoid spending extra money if Server 2008 R2 would do the job. But I'm willing to buy Home Server should it prove necesary. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

A:Windows home server vs Server 2008 R2

Server 2008 R2 is a more fully functional product. You will be able to do similar things, but it might be a little more involved getting it set up and working. Plus, if you are interested in IT, you could use the Server 2008 R2 experience....but you won't get hired for your knowledge on Windows Home Server.

My vote is Server 2008 R2 without a doubt.

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/159610-windows-home-server-vs-server-2008-r2.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Hope this is the right place to post this

Just set up server 2008 r2 on a older box I had that I was using for a few things. Tried Linux but became tThanks of a pain for such simple tasks. Here is what I'm using it for.

Csgo server
Mumble server
File/backup
Media server?

My main concern was for media server to stream to few devices in the house. I was thinking plex. Does anyone have any other ways I can go about it.

Thankd

A:Server 2008 for home server... Opinions please.

Not sure what opinions you want. All I can say is that you don't need server 2008 R2 to complete your desired tasks. Any basic Windows client OS should work.

EDIT: It should be noted that Windows Server OS's are enterprise standards therefore a lot of home license applications will not install unless it is open source. You will need to purchase enterprise licenses of software for them to be installed on the server. This is particularly important with Anti-Virus solutions.

Josh

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/303452-server-2008-home-server-opinions-please.html
Relevancy 55.04%

...TG.
Thanks to all who contributed to this post. After wasting almost 24hrs I stumbled across your solution that actually removed the Trojan virus. Well done. Pls find attached the log files you specified.

A:your solution works

Hi and welcome to TSG,

I have split your post off into a thread of your own.

Please copy and past your HijackThis log and the smitfraudfix log here. There should be no need to zip it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/your-solution-works.479978/
Relevancy 54.18%

Hello I created the following performance counter using logman exe nbsp logman exe counters incorrectly Server Windows correctly creates performance on 2003 but Server Windows Logman 2008/2012 on create counter US Triton Perf Log -b -e -r -s server -si frequence -cf folder server txt -f logtype nbsp -o C local logs Perfout Server --a -v mmddhhmm nbsp -rf nbsp max Logman creates performance counters on Windows Server 2008/2012 correctly but incorrectly on Windows Server 2003 duration When I do this across multiple servers specifically for Windows Servers the counter is created to repeat and run everyday at PM and stops running everyday at PM This works perfectly fine as intended However When I do this for a Windows server my created counter is very different For example in this case I have set to the counters to start at AM and end at PM because I have set a maximum duration of hours the job terminates and begins on the next day since Logman creates performance counters on Windows Server 2008/2012 correctly but incorrectly on Windows Server 2003 I have the repeat option on However this does not apply to our server logman creates the job to run once a week in this case it would be on a Wednesday In addiiton I noticed that the job doesn't not even start at it's indented time It actually does not start at all I also notice that the jobs on all windows servers are created in a pending status which then prevents me from removing Logman creates performance counters on Windows Server 2008/2012 correctly but incorrectly on Windows Server 2003 the counter remotely nbsp I would like to know if windows is capable of working like my win servers using logman and if historically the job has to be kicked off through scheduled task nbsp Both Jobs are using the same criteria but are created differently The top photo was created on a windows server and the bottom photo was created on windows server Am I missing something here FYI I have a script to automate across servers so when I deployed this it turned out about servers were actually running as intended and a whole bunch of them were in pending status and all stopped nbsp I appreciate any response on this issue

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/c8377c80-cabf-41ca-bd0b-8132c4e19269/logman-creates-performance-counters-on-windows-server-20082012-correctly-but-incorrectly-on-windows?forum=perfmon
Relevancy 53.75%

win8 - clean install....

i read this somewhere else...
if the optical drive is seen in the Bios, BUT NOT seen in the "computer" and you are using sata... turn off the computer and swap the red cable to another sata port.... then boot up ... should now be "seen"....
this is the EASY first thing to try....
V

A:CD/ DVD not recognized - i found one solution that works

Welcome to EioghtForums.

or

Try this (1):

Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows or other programs

Fix problems with CD or DVD drives that can

The CD drive or the DVD drive does not work as expected on a computer that is running Windows Vista

Try this(2):
1) Shut down PC.
2) Physically disconnect the CD/DVD Drive.
3) Reboot to Windows with NO DVD drive.
4) Shut down PC.
5) Physically reconnect the CD/DVD Drive.
6) Reboot to Windows with DVD drive.
7) Check Device status.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/14672-cd-dvd-not-recognized-i-found-one-solution-works.html
Relevancy 53.75%

Hey all,

I'm inexperienced with Windows Server 2008 and am setting up a "lab" or test server here at the company I work for's network.

In the intial configuration process, when setting up the Active Direct Domain Services, I'm stuck at the DNS server

Questions are...

-Do I install it?
-Will this interfer/mess up things with our main file server?

Sorry, a bit amateur with this stuff

Any help is appreciated

A:Windows Server 2008 - DNS Server..?

Bump...

Anyone?

Thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-server-2008-dns-server.831696/
Relevancy 53.75%

IP Network: Dhcp server works fine. (CISCO ROUTER)

Windows 200o servers, Windows 2000 clients (up to dated, sp4, rollup1 etc) IS6sp1

Some pc's with IP dhcp , works ok
Some pc's with fixed IP, works ok

After changing fixed IP on a client to dhcp-IP, the client can not find the DHCP server.
change back to fixed IP, PC works fine again.

DHP server and other DHCP clients still working fine

Local Area connection status: only outgoing packets, no incoming.

reboot, or ipconfig /renew no solutions

Does someone know this problem ?
Pieter

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/no-dhcp-server-found-after-using-fixed-ip-windows-2000-dhpc-server-works-fine.538322/
Relevancy 53.75%

Hi, I am looking for something that will backup my entire OS incase something happens to my XP OS and is easy to work with if I need to use it to get back my system to the correct state. I appreciate any help.

A:Backup solution

Hi,
Acronis True Image gets very good reviews in these forums:

http://www.acronis.com/

Richard.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/backup-solution.541746/
Relevancy 53.75%

I would like one and all to come and answer this vexing question:

Using a Software, Hardware or a combination of the two, what is the best approach to take when wanting to backup your computer?

The answer can come suggesting any form, be it using some sort of RAID array, using software for complete Disk Imaging, or simply purchasing the new Drobo. I'm looking for everyone's take on this important subject, as I have yet to choose a method that I will stick to myself, and am sure there are many out there that know more about the topic than I do.

Thanks to any and all who provide me some clarity!

Relevancy 53.75%

Besides my primary home computer I have two laptops and a Best a solution backup need to desk top that I d like to backup to external storage attached to my primary system My Best solution to a backup need primary is not a server as such e g no server platform in place it is running Vista Business x While my primary system is now backed up everything using the image backup solution provided by Vista Business I d like to backup my other systems or should say - family s systems to the same external device To do this backup would use my home network to the shared TB drive Are there any products which may be installed that performes the function of imaging the system to a backup medium across a home network I know I d have to create a boot disk for the system being backed up should a recovery be required but I can transport my external drive to any of the other systems to direct connect then Thank you for any advise that may be available on this nbsp

Relevancy 53.75%

Hello, guys!
I'm going to backup my PC and want to buy new True Image 2009, i heard that Acronis has just released it.
What do you think about it?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/new-backup-solution-300196.html
Relevancy 53.75%

I m looking for a backup program that will not pack files into anything more complicated or unusual then a zip file I d prefer if it didn t pack them at all and simply maintained the directory structure in a different place It doesn t need to be complicated basically what I m looking for is a program that copies a directory to a different location with a folder name that includes the date it was copied I d like it to do perhaps a month s worth of backups before it writes over old backups Additionally I m wondering if the same program would have a hard time also backing up the most recent backup to a thumbdrive automatically There would be perhaps three different thumb drives that solution looking for a backup would be exchanged at about once a day That is TD A is in the computer and is backed up to it is looking for a backup solution taken out later that day and replaced with TD B which is backed up to the next day automatically I m asking that long as the thumb drives are given the looking for a backup solution same drive letter there shouldn t be a problem right The logic behind this is that I don t want to worry about restoration software when I m accessing a backup Furthermore these backups might be used at some point to sync information between different computers I know this will mean that my files will take up more space then if they were packed but that s really not important in this situation Does anyone know of a good backup program that can handle this I d prefer something free and or cheap but I d spring for something expensive if that s the only way to do it I m only wary of spending money on it because the operation seems extremely simple It is literally a scheduled copy and rename by date program nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/looking-for-a-backup-solution.68539/
Relevancy 53.75%

Hi Backup Solution everyone I just contacted CDW about Backup Solution a backup solution for the following setup Application Server CRM SQL Server - Windows Server - Dell Poweredge File Server User Management - Windows Server - Explorer years old File Server - Seagate External GB HD attached to the Server by USB Workstations with Windows XP Pro MACs with Jaguar Tiger Linksys Wireless Access PointClick to expand They quoted me all this EXEC D SVR CPS MLP W SUP - D WIN REM AGT CAL WIN NW - Backup Solution EXEC Backup Solution D WIN SQL SVR PT - QUANTUM GB LT INT SCSI BLK - QUANTUM LTO ULTRIUM TAPE CARTRIDGE - x - Click to expand He said I need agents st on the list What are these agents and do I really NEED them Also I said we are only using about of our GB and that the tape drive did not need to do the whole We can get by for the next few years with a - GB drive We are a small non-profit organization so while a backup is important so is every penny How can I get this price down to TOTAL and still have a working reliable backup system Thanks Matt nbsp

Relevancy 53.75%

I have a NAS and would like to backup/sync certain folders to it. What programs can be recommended for this?
*I have just recently started using windows again*

A:need a backup solution

My favorite syncing program for making backups is FreeFileSync. I suggest NOT connecting the NAS to the computer except when running a backup.

If you need continuous backups, I suggest also using Carbonite, an inexpensive cloud backup service. It runs quietly in the background so you won't ever know it's running. Last time I checked, the basic service was only $60/year.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/345941-need-backup-solution.html
Relevancy 53.75%

Hi, I'm looking for a realy simple to use backup/sync solution for my win7 prof 64bit desktop pc.

I want to do daily version backups to a nas but also an instant incremental - dropbox like - sync/mirror of my %userprofile% directory to an external usb drive.

What programs would you sugest? I've tried Acronis True Image Home 2012 which offers backup & sync but it didn't sync my hidden appdata directory.

Thanks in advance.

A:Looking for backup solution

Lots of people here recommend Macrium. The paid version would have all the functions you might need. The free one is limited. I've not used much myself so I don't know first hand.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/208129-looking-backup-solution.html
Relevancy 53.75%

Hello Guys,

i got two offices about 150KM from each other
i need to backup 10 to 20GB / machine

the data ranges from accounts package to doc files etc...

i suggested a vpn, then backup from one side to the other and vice versa as this ensures backups are swapped over and are off site.

Would you recommend this, or am i better off using a hosted backup service i pay for / GB?

your thoughts please

Relevancy 53.75%

Hiya

I need a cheap Backup solution that can

1. Backup to CDRW
2. Have a good compression rate eg zip
3. Run schedule
4 run full and incremental backups
5. easy to use

Backup volume currently is 2gb and will not exceed 5gb

for my docs etc

any recomendations

ps someone recommended ntbackup but i'm having probs getting it to write directly to cdrw any ideas to overcome this?

thanks

Relevancy 53.32%

I have an Acer AX1301-U1312 PC. It is running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit that came pre-installed. Whenever it goes to sleep and I wake it up by moving the mouse it hangs. I can see the desktop and I can't still move the cursor but I can't click on anything. It takes 10 or 20 mins to unfreeze so I can use it again. I have tried disableing shuting off the hard disk but it didn't help. I have S3 sleep mode enabled in my BIOS as well. (What is S3 sleep mode anyway?) Any help would be great.

A:Hang after sleep. Can't find a solution that works

Does this happen every time, and has it always happened? Or did this start sometime after you purchased the machine?

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/177251-hang-after-sleep-cant-find-solution-works.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Hello I have looked at the forums which talk about the Google Redirect Virus but I have yet to find a solution that works I have ran AVAST Malwarebytes Spyware Doctor Spybot Search and Destroy and the list goes on but nothing helps I have also ran the TTDS Rootkit Removing Toll From Kaspersky Combo Fix and HijackThis I am including the reports from all of them Please help me TTDS TDSS rootkit removing tool Jun SystemInfo OS Version ServicePack Product type Workstation ComputerName MICHAEL-PC UserName Michael Windows directory C Windows System windows directory C Windows Running under WOW Processor architecture Intel x Number of processors Page size x Boot type Normal boot Initialize success Scan started Mode Manual ohci b f f b f cc d C Windows system DRIVERS ohci sys ACPI f e cdefd f aa f ddfe C Windows solution no Redirct Google Mozilla works system DRIVERS ACPI sys AcpiPmi b a ce bf e af dcc cada C Windows system DRIVERS acpipmi sys adp xx f b b f c b ac f bf C Windows system DRIVERS adp xx sys adpahci f ee ea Google Mozilla Redirct no solution works a d ced C Windows system DRIVERS adpahci sys adpu e c f fb b c b e C Windows system DRIVERS adpu sys AFD ef Google Mozilla Redirct no solution works ddf e d f fb f C Windows system drivers afd sys agp c dba d cb ed a a C Windows system DRIVERS agp sys aliide a a ad c ca ee C Windows system DRIVERS aliide Google Mozilla Redirct no solution works sys amdide ff b c ce c f c c C Windows system DRIVERS amdide sys AmdK f cff a ef d cda C Windows system DRIVERS amdk sys AmdPPM e b fe d c eb c d C Windows system DRIVERS amdppm sys amdsata ec ebab a d bab d e b beb C Windows system drivers amdsata sys amdsbs f f e ed ff a f b b C Windows system DRIVERS amdsbs sys amdxata db c bf e a aa d e C Windows system drivers amdxata sys AppID fd b fa e c bb f e C Windows system drivers appid sys arc c f ceb c db c e C Windows system DRIVERS arc sys arcsas af aefe f c fe c C Windows system DRIVERS arcsas sys aswFsBlk f dbe d ffcdee f b ecebe e C Windows system drivers aswFsBlk sys aswMonFlt f e dd bcc fb ad e c C Windows system drivers aswMonFlt sys aswRdr fccbdc dc afd e ed C Windows system drivers aswRdr sys aswSnx dca a a e bc ac c d C Windows system drivers aswSnx sys aswSP af b bef f f a e c C Windows system drivers aswSP sys aswTdi a eca af b a c a df f e f C Windows system drivers aswTdi sys AsyncMac ce cc cea b C Windows system DRIVERS asyncmac sys atapi c b b edc e c a f c C Windows system DRIVERS atapi sys athr e f e cd bc fb b dcf f C Windows system DRIVERS athrx sys b bdrv e b f c bb C Windows system DRIVERS bxvbda sys b nd a b ace a eeb ebfd df C Windows system DRIVERS b nd a sys Beep a ce decc b a f C Windows system drivers Beep sys blbdrive ee c a c acd b d C Windows system DRIVERS blbdrive sys bowser d e e b a C Windows system DRIVERS bowser sys BrFiltLo f eee edc b e f fde c C Windows system DRIVERS BrFiltLo sys BrFiltUp b d e bdb bea b be C Windows system DRIVERS BrFiltUp sys Brserid bea d bf f e d e a bd C Windows System Drivers Brserid sys BrSerWdm a eca b a caceca c f b C Windows System Drivers BrSerWdm sys BrUsbMdm b c e cf bd cd C Windows System Drivers BrUsbMdm sys BrUsbSer a c e ea a b bf C Windows System Drivers BrUsbSer sys BTHMODEM da f d f ab eb bf a e C Windows system DRIVERS bthmodem sys cdfs b bd bb c c a C Windows system DRIVERS cdfs sys cdrom d d e efb b c f db C Windows system DRIVERS cdrom sys circlass d cd c e b fa cfb cf C Windows system DRIVERS circlass sys CLFS fe ec f f fe c a C Windows system CLFS sys CmBatt d bddf f a c bd C Windows system DRIVERS CmBatt sys cmdide e d f d f b edd C Windows system DRIVERS cmdide sys CNG f fd cb da ba a ce f b c e C Windows system Drivers cng sys Compbatt de c f f c e ad C Windows system DRIVERS compbatt sys CompositeBus f b a f fa ca b ab C Windows system DRIVERS CompositeBus sys crcdisk c a c fe f ee C Windows system DRIVERS crcdisk sys DfsC c ce ca fc c a C Windows system Drivers dfsc sys discache b ec f f c f e ab C Win... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/google-mozilla-redirct-no-solution-works.1004296/
Relevancy 53.32%

Hello, I have looked at the forums which talk about the Google Redirect Virus, but I have yet to find a solution that works. I have ran AVAST, Malwarebytes, Spyware Doctor, Spybot Search and Destroy, and the list goes on, but nothing helps. I will provide log notes if anyone needs them.

A:Google Mozilla Redirct no solution works

Can you post the logs from Avast and Malwarebytes.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/406204/google-mozilla-redirct-no-solution-works/
Relevancy 52.89%

Hello,

I've been considering many options to backup the data on my computer at work. I think I've finally settled on this one. I've never done it before, and would appreciate any feedback.

1) I will buy another hard-drive and hook it up as a slave.

2) I will use Norton Ghost 9.0 to create an image of the master drive on the slave.

3) I will set Norton Ghost to do this automatically every night.

If my main drive ever fails, I should be able to swap the drives, boot the computer and everything should be like it was, right?

I've never used Norton Ghost before... does it copy everything over, file by file, so the second drive is identical? Or does it copy everything to some kind of archive file(s) that require Ghost to extract?

Again, any feedback is welcome. Thanks!

A:Will this backup solution work?

Sounds like a decent plan to me..

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/will-this-backup-solution-work-54576.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Hi all,

I'm planning to backup my hard drive and hope that someone could recommend an external backup solution, either an external hard drive or a regular hard drive in an enclosure. What would be the best way to achieve a safe and secure backup? Also, please share any good/bad experiences when using those recommended storage products.

BTW, currently I'm leaning towards the side of Western Digital (since I am currently using their drives) but feel free to recommend me another backup option.

Thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-backup-solution.877720/
Relevancy 52.89%

Hello I am hoping someone has a good lead past posts have been VERY fruitful We Backup Solution Client need to backup - Windows users at our office and want to do to a local Network fileshare The native backup amp restore Client Backup Solution although okay really became limited once we had Win users with File History Looking Client Backup Solution online for Windows backup solutions it has been tough to find a solid solution Acronis kept coming up and we ended up buying some licenses but since then have had at least of the users have issues with the backup software running slow and failing so clearly many Client Backup Solution reviews are not written by those in the field Long story short we are looking for a standalone backup software client that is most importantly STABLE RELIABLE but of course needs to be space efficient meaning will respect disk space and support retention timeframes We simply don't want to explore Azure as we want backups kept inside our network instead of the cloud We also don't want to have to install a backup server again we want a standalone product that is stable across Win Win Win and beyond Thanks in advance

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/52e00220-250d-429e-80a8-caaf0a572673/client-backup-solution?forum=w8itprogeneral
Relevancy 52.89%

I was wondering what is the best backup solution? I know about raid and i don't think i will want to do it.
I was thinking about using external harddrives but they seem to be even more expensive than internal, so i don't really have a clue about how to back up a computer now .

A:I was wondering what is the best backup solution?

Well... You're Going to Call it Overkill But....

Raid 1 with data duplicated on two computers, and all your data double burned onto archival gold DVDs, which you should then store in two different, separate places.

If that's a bit much, you should at least separate your back up files from the machine you're using in case of a meltdown, virus or other plague which might befall you. You should absolutely burn all your precious photo, music, and financial info files to optical media. I always install a second HDD into any of my machines, then store all my data on it and only use the C:/ for the OS or duplicate files that I can afford to lose.

I duplicate my stuff across 2 machines, one of which is always offline. (No RAID though)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-was-wondering-what-is-the-best-backup-solution.102625/
Relevancy 52.89%

On my first attempt at trying Windows I immediately removed it and went back to XP because of the new horrible backup program in Windows which is a real joke compared to the good old backup they always used I hated it so much because -I could no longer use my GB tape drive even though there are Windows drivers for it -You are limited to backup job ridiculous -You are Backup Better Windows solution? limited to destination backup media what a joke -I made a new backup in XP to a data file on a hard drive instead so I could then restore in Windows -I then found Windows also doesn't support the data file backups of previous Windows version I eventually managed to transfer my data by finding I can put the old XP backup app in Windows to restore the backup file I ended up replacing my tape drive Better Windows Backup solution? with a quot dual drive bay that accepts bare laptop hard drives so I now use removable laptop hard drives as backup media Anyway even now that it quot works quot Windows Backup is a HUGE downgrade from the powerful backup options Better Windows Backup solution? we had since Windows or even Firstly it only Better Windows Backup solution? allows you to use one destination media Already how in the world can you call it a backup if you can only have one NO ONE with a brain would carry only one backup that's ridiculous As a work around I do change my backup disk and simply re configure the entire backup job to use the new media each time I change it It's a real pain having to reconfigure my entire backup each time I change the disk because an idiot at Microsoft decided to remove the powerful backup option and put a near useless joke that seems to be designed for the dumbest of users Are there other backup solutions and not those that cost a year for the software license where I don't have to reprogram the entire backup each time I change the disk I also want the ability to be able to restore the backup to a crashed computer that no longer has a working OS Are there any options I know I can use the old XP backup in Windows but would it let me restore without having to re install Windows first If so that would be great but I don't think it can do that Sorry for the long message but this silly new backup has been annoying me ever since I got Windows and is one of the only things I don't like about Windows because it's a HUGE downgrade from the old backup they always had

A:Better Windows Backup solution?

Hi there are quite a few to look at Free Backup Software: Paragon Backup & Recovery (Advanced) Free Edition - Overview
EASEUS Todo Backup Free - world's best free all-in-one backup & recovery software. FREE download disk copy, backup freeware, disk clone, disk image, partition copy freeware for PC and Server.
more here Free Backup Software it really depends on what you find works best for you

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/better-windows-backup-solution-583858.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Here's the criteria:

1 x computer to backup.

I would like to use a pull out hard drive media for the backup. Can anybody recommend a simple program to do the backup. I'm currently using Ghost to clone a copy as a backup.

Relevancy 52.89%

I am just wanting some opinions for hardware to new Opinions on backup solution do what I want to do What I have is a PDC and a Stand Alone Server along with bridge Opinions on new backup solution computers CC phone Internet Reservations to be backed up Data totalling less than GB with projected growth Currently we have Veritaz Backup Exec for Windows Servers V Backing up to Tape I am wanting Opinions on new backup solution to change to Opinions on new backup solution a NAS device to backup Could I backup to one that has hot swappable drive bays and rotate drives on it I am not familiar with NAS devices but with my knowledge and what I have read I believe a USR could work USA Configuring with a total of drives running ths os I believe their variation of Linux then use the other drives as a backup partition using at a time leaving off site The only things that I have read is that the USR doesn t work with Active Directory but unless I am sharring it through AD why should that matter currently veritaz could back up to a samba share if I wanted it to Pretty simple anybody think it will work or not If I am wrong and it just won t work let me know LOL Or if you know of other NAs devices that will let me knoe your thoughts Thanks nbsp

A:Opinions on new backup solution

That's a pretty good setup. Now, there is one potential issue. Supposing that the NAS device dies, would the drives and their contents be readable in some other system (a simple Linux PC)?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/opinions-on-new-backup-solution.73697/
Relevancy 52.89%

I gonna dual boot my computer soon, but I want a cost-efficient way to back up my Hard-Drive. I don't care what it is (HardWare, software,etc) but it needs to be less than $75 Canadian (YES it is CAD only). Any ideas?

A:Anybosy got a backup solution?

get a cheap cd burner from newegg.com and buy some CD-RW's. That will give you a nice backup solution for around $75 canadian.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/anybosy-got-a-backup-solution.12449/
Relevancy 52.89%

Hello!

I am trying to implement a backup/recovery plan for our small organization, which will backup about 100gb per night 5 nights a week.

I would like to do the following:

Attach a NAS drive like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822186025 to our ethernet switch
Unit has 4 500gb drives
configure them in 2 sets of 2 drives; mirrored RAID 1
Each one will hold appox. 1 week of our backups
So we backup for 2 weeks
take the first set of two drives out for safe storage
back up again for 2 weeks on remaining set
after 2 weeks, swap sets

Will this work? can RAID 1 or 0+1 be configured this way?

If not, Please offer any suggestions that may.

All help greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Lynne

A:Will this work for a backup solution?

It looks like the RAID 0+1 would work with a swapping protocol (6 drives total) but I think a better way to do it would be use the default RAID 5 which would be a superior data backup method to RAID 0+1 (there's always a bit of "yikes!" whenever 0 is involved with backup even though that is in turn getting backed up) and then for offsite storage, get two 1 TB networked (or USB if used just as a copy over) externals and back up concurrently or copy the backup over from the RAID 5 at predefined intervals and swap those two single units.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/will-this-work-for-a-backup-solution.758783/
Relevancy 52.89%

I'm trying to back up my office data to a hard drive at my home, via the net, on a nightly basis. I've been considering the WD World Edition, but they seem to be fairly unstable. Anyone have a better suggestion? I need to do incremental backups.

There are other solutions, via commecial entities, but for various reasons, I want the data at my home, not some remote location. ANY help is greatly appreciated!

Greg

Relevancy 52.89%

I am in need of a Windows based backup solution that will keep selected folders and documents on my laptop and desktop backed up to my Windows Home Server V in addition I a on Need backup advice solution want the three synced to each other as well I'm looking for something that I can schedule to run on it's own and will provide a report as to what was backed and whether it was successful in the form of an email if possible Example I'd like all my laptop docs music and photo's backed up to my desktop and synced to each other so any changes made on either will reflect on both and also backed up to Need advice on a backup solution the server Separately I have large DVD folders on the desktop that I'd like to keep backed up and synced to the server only so any time a new DVD file is added to the desktop Need advice on a backup solution it will automatically Need advice on a backup solution be backed up to the server I'm not looking for a cloud based solution I wish to keep it all local Any suggestions would be appreciated Thanks

A:Need advice on a backup solution

Since you're looking for a folder/file "data" backup solution, I highly recommend NovaBACKUP Professional from NovaStor. It has all of the options you expressed a desire for in a backup/restore, including automatic scheduled backup jobs.

I don't know about its "sync" capability, although it does have COPY capability. This isn't really "sync".

However for "sync" I highly recommend Beyond Compare Standard from Scooter Software. It doesn't have its own built-in scheduling capability but it does have "scripting" (for creation of a batch compare/sync/mirror/copy/update job) which you can then just use standard Windows task scheduling with to set up a regularly scheduled nightly "sync" task for example to accomplish whatever you want to "sync".

Both products are NOT free but are reasonably priced. Both provide free trials (14-days for NovaBackup, and 30-days for Beyond Compare). Beyond Compare also has a slightly more expensive Pro version with some additional functionality but I don't think these additional features would be of any value for your described needs.

Both products have existed for a very long time and have active product and customer support from the vendor.

Let me know if you do try these out and have any questions on how to use them or configure them.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/341338-need-advice-backup-solution.html
Relevancy 52.89%

I'm looking for a simple and inexpensive backup solution for a remote location. They have just over a gigabyte of data that needs to be backed up regularly (at least weekly if not daily). I'm sure the amount of data to be backed up will grow over time. These user's do not have an on-site tech and are not very computer savvy. They're okay, but as simple a solution as possible is what is needed. I'm looking for something that would hang off of a PC, maybe via USB? There are no servers over there, just about six PC's all running Windows 2000 Professional. The data to be backed up is on a single PC. Any ideas?

A:Backup solution needed

An external USB2 Hard drive would be a great solution. It could be partitioned and used for several different machines too if needed. It can easily be taken off-site (as any real back-up should).

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/backup-solution-needed.227063/
Relevancy 52.89%

I bought an external 200 gig drive, and the bundled software was from Retrospect. I'm not wild about the software, because I can't purge old data from it, [selectivlely].

I want a backup solution, where I can dump data files and restore [copy back] if need be, and/or delete selectively. Is there a way within 2K server small biz, to create a scheduled task to copy data files to another drive, -vs- using a 3rd party software which may create disk images, data sets, databases, etc...

Thanks

Relevancy 52.89%

I would like to back up my photos and some other files online somewhere but the prices look quite high.

There are quite a few web hosts (Hostgator etc) that offer unlimited space hosting packages, could something like this work as a way to allow be to upload my files somewhere? Or am I being niaive?

I have about 30 GB of photos and counting so Dropbox won't cut it for me!

Can anyone help me with a low cost solution for backing up these photos?

Thanks!

Relevancy 52.89%

Hello all.
First off i want to say in terms of backup, i have a 1 TB NAS storage device installed on my network with clients using batch files to back up data locally. However, i have been looking into offsite backup to backup the NAS incase somthing ever happened to it, some other catastrophe happened to my home (i sure hope not). Right now i have hosting service here: www.fileho.com (its like you would holler, LAND HO! on a ship btw). The problem i have with em is that the site can take my data just fine. Downloading back off is another story where im crawling at like 1kbps. Im working on getting support to my problem but nothing so far. If anyone knows another free ftp hosting site with unlimited storage and file uploads/downloads please let me know. Thanks.

Relevancy 52.89%

Currently I have two hard drives in my computer.

1. OS and Programs and Program Data
2. Data (all the stuff I want to save)

However there are certain programs which have data on my #1 drive that I would like to backup on my #2 drive automatically.

(I know this is not a proper backup situation, I also have one more HD that mirrors my #2 drive)

Basically there are folders on #1 that I would like to keep updated and backed up on #2, including changes to files. Is there a way to do this, or a program that does this kind of stuff.

Thanks for looking

Relevancy 52.89%

I have one desktop connected by ethernet and one laptop connected wirelessly. The desktop is always on.
I'd like to get an external storage solution that will b/u both units. The Maxtor one-touch is very popular but I've read a few user reports that are quite negative. I'd like to find some discussion on this subject.
Thank you

A:Backup solution suggestions

This doesn't belong in Tips, so I moved it.

Personally, I use a Hawking HNAS1 Network Attached Storage Unit that's in my basement, any machine on the network can access it. I have unattended backups run to it in the middle of the night. I also have a bunch of USB disks that I do secondary manual backups to, can't be too careful.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/backup-solution-suggestions.489068/
Relevancy 52.89%

there is a backup software for windows 7 ultimate? I mean like Apple Time Machine? Or I need 3rd party software? By the way, can i create bootable DVDs that will recover all the system files and software installed...(a.k.a. full recovery)

A:windows 7 Backup solution

Check out this tutorial
Backup Complete Computer - Create an Image Backup

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/51451-windows-7-backup-solution.html
Relevancy 52.89%

I have tried every solution possible None of them work These be security(No works) files internet can't solution Your opened. for me because - I tried to Create a New User account I click on quot Manage User Account quot nothing happens I tried resetting setting every option on local intranet and internet None of them work ultimately After downloading Malwarebytes Anti-Malware the problem won't let me get to installation only So can't scan for viruses In many places I have seen instructions to delete the HKEY CURRENT USER Software Microsoft Windows Curre ntVersion Explorer FolderTypes These files can't be opened. Your internet security(No solution works) ef b cb-f ce- - - ca c e c key in order to fix this issue but it is not showing up in my registry These files can't be opened. Your internet security(No solution works) at all Also I am not able to use regedit gepdit or mmc as even that brings up the same error System Restore too is not accessible due to the same error I can't access the group policy management editor either due to the same problem Please help me out This is very frustrating

A:These files can't be opened. Your internet security(No solution works)

Hello tanuj20 and welcome to Seven Forums. Sorry you're having these issues.

Are you able to start your computer in Safe Mode? If yes, see if you can install, update, and run a full Malwarebytes scan. It sounds like malware may have taken over your computer for so many things not to work at the same time.

Which files are you not able to open? It's possible you no longer have ownership rights due to damaged or corrupt system files. You could try running a System File Checker scan. If any problems are noted run the scan two more times, rebooting between each scan.

If you're still having issues you could try to take ownership of a problem file using this shortcut here. Do not try to take ownership of the entire C: drive. It will also help if you post your system specs as well as any specific error messages and/or error codes you receive. I'd also suggest not trying to change things in the registry without first knowing for sure what you're dealing with and making a backup.

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/193482-these-files-cant-opened-your-internet-security-no-solution-works.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Hello!
One day when I turned on my laptop I noticed that i got no connection to the internet since I got 'limited access' on my network. It worked perfectly day before that
It is definitely something in the laptop blocking the connection to the router. (Also other computers are all right)

I uninstalled antivirus and turned off firewall just in case it was blocking, but it did not help.
I noticed that most of the network devices (in device manager) are not responding so I reinstalled most of them, but it did not help either, I'm still getting message that they are not loading, code 39 (screenshot)
(I am suspecting but not entirely sure, that antivirus might have deleted some infected by virus things automatically)

I'm running WINDOWS 7 64bit on my laptop
Please replay as soon as possible, thank you.

Relevancy 52.89%

Hi Win gave me an quot update MSE now quot message I ran MSE It exited with error above I am directly connected to the internet via a broadband modem sharing the connection with other machine The home network behaves fine and allows sharing of a NAS drive I have Win Home on an Athlon single core I am not running nor have I ever run any third party firewalls or antivirus or internet accelerators Only Win firewall and MSE Googling gives me possible IE error recommending to delete proxy settings My IE settings had no proxy entries it was a direct connection LAN setting were set to autodetect already Switched proxy on to check exceptions none listed switched proxy off again I use Comodo dragon a chrome type browser stills connects fine IE doesn't work though This WinUpdate fail common MSE works. 0x8024402c, with and no solution MSE error occurs with all combinations of comodo and IE loaded and quit Looked at the KB WinUpdate and MSE fail with 0x8024402c, no common solution works. MSE support page for this error Suggests resetting the local proxy server Ran cmd as admin used quot netsh winhttp reset proxy quot it reported no proxy running Stopped and started wuauserver anyway tried MSE again MSE still gives the error code Chose to look for exceptions or blocks in the firewall I can't see any labelled as MS update or MSE Just switch firewall off and try again on another forum someone found this worked Still get x c Firewall back on Try updating WinUpdate and MSE fail with 0x8024402c, no common solution works. MSE through Windows Update This also stops with a x c This problem spans my Win install for MS programs only Found the quot fix it for WinUpdate and MSE fail with 0x8024402c, no common solution works. me quot software from MS support home page Downloaded quot MicrosoftFixit wu LB Run quot Ran it as admin but it exited with error EE quot encountered an error contacting the server quot Same cause The other machine on the home network has no problems connecting and updating This problem is limited to my instance of Win Read about a similar error code giving similar problems in similar situations being fixed by stopping and starting windows update and quot Background intelligent transer service quot from quot Services quot running it as admin Did this then tried MSE winUpdate result same error Also found Someone resolved this problem by switching quot active X filtering quot off on his broadband modem He had the problem on both machines behind the router though where one of mine works I checked my router home page and settings anyway it does not have an activeX filtering option I think I have exhausted the normal offerings available at MS and on other forums I have tried raising an email support ticket with MS but comodo dragon is jumpy about some webpages and trying IE instead won't work as in the current situation IE doesn't work at all A Little help anyone

A:WinUpdate and MSE fail with 0x8024402c, no common solution works.

Quote: Originally Posted by ChrisML

Hi,

Win7 gave me an "update MSE now" message. I ran MSE. It exited with error above.

I am directly connected to the internet via a broadband modem, sharing the connection with 1 other machine. The home network behaves fine and allows sharing of a NAS drive. I have Win7 Home, on an Athlon64 single core. I am not running nor have I ever run any third party firewalls, or antivirus or internet accelerators. Only Win7firewall and MSE.

Googling gives me possible IE error, recommending to delete proxy settings. My IE settings had no proxy entries, it was a direct connection. LAN setting were set to autodetect already. Switched proxy on to check exceptions, none listed, switched proxy off again.

I use Comodo dragon ( a chrome type browser) stills connects fine. IE doesn't work though. This MSE error occurs with all combinations of comodo and IE loaded and quit.

Looked at the KB/MSE support page for this error. Suggests resetting the local proxy server. Ran cmd as admin, used "netsh winhttp reset proxy", it reported no proxy running. Stopped and started wuauserver anyway. tried MSE again: MSE still gives the error code.

Chose to look for exceptions or blocks in the firewall, I can't see any labelled as MS update or MSE. Just switch firewall off and try again. (on another forum, someone found this worked) Still get 0x8024402c. Firewall back on.

Try updating MSE through Windows Update. This also stops with a 0x8024402c. This problem spans my Win7 install, for MS programs only.

Found the "fix it for me" software from MS support home page. Downloaded "MicrosoftFixit.wu.LB.107262617125576563.10.1.Run" Ran it as admin, but it exited with error 80072EE7, "encountered an error contacting the server". Same cause??

The other machine on the home network has no problems connecting and updating. This problem is limited to my instance of Win7.

Read about a similar error code giving similar problems in similar situations, being fixed by stopping and starting windows update and "Background intelligent transer service" from "Services" running it as admin. Did this then tried MSE/winUpdate: result same error.

Also found Someone resolved this problem by switching "active X filtering" off on his broadband modem. He had the problem on both machines behind the router though where one of mine works. I checked my router home page and settings anyway: it does not have an activeX filtering option.

I think I have exhausted the normal offerings available at MS and on other forums. I have tried raising an email support ticket with MS, but comodo dragon is jumpy about some webpages, and trying IE instead won't work as in the current situation IE doesn't work at all.

A Little help anyone?

Try System Restoring to a time before all of this started happening: System Restore

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/234038-winupdate-mse-fail-0x8024402c-no-common-solution-works.html
Relevancy 52.46%

Hi,

The company I work for is expanding and I have been tasked with organising the backup policy. I have opted for Microsoft System Center: Data Protection Manager 2010 installed on a Windows Server 2008 machine.

All the backup files are kept on a dedicated HDD in the data store.

My question is can I use Windows Server Backup which comes with Server 2008 to make a working backup of the DPM data store to an external HDD? If I can then which locations do I have to include in the backup.

I would also appreiciate any links which might help.

Thanks for any help.

Brad

A:Can I backup DPM 2010 store using Windows Server Backup?

Tr this link below.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399260.aspx

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can-i-backup-dpm-2010-store-using-windows-server-backup.964025/
Relevancy 52.46%

I have a one person office I rent from a company The company has a network and a server They have tight security so I can t plug anything into the network other than my workstation I have about Solved: Solution Needed Help NAS Backup GB of files on their server they partitioned me Solved: NAS Backup Solution Help Needed some space and assigned me a network drive letter of H and another GB of files on my C hard drive I need to back up this data to a local NAS drive and keep the backup current I suppose all Solved: NAS Backup Solution Help Needed I can use is USB for that unless there s some faster way maybe put a card in my workstation or something Right now I have XP Pro SP but will be migrating to Windows pro in a few months Ideally I would like a NAS drive that has autobackup built in and can backup the data on both drives and keep it current rather than having to use Windows backup or install a stand alone software backup program LEO LEO S FRIENDS HELP I know you guys are really really smart Is there a great solution that meets these requirements Thank you so much nbsp

Relevancy 52.46%

Hi I am going to visit my Parents next week and would like to set them up with a simple up to Solved: backup how a Computers New solution? set backup solution for thier systems and for thier data I warned my mother for Solved: New Computers how to set up a backup solution? years that she will regret not making a working clone of her HD and at very least she should be backing up her files to a external source I finally got her comfortable using usb flash Solved: New Computers how to set up a backup solution? drives for copies of data to save and share with my dad I offered to clone her HD with Paragon Drive Copy as I had both her and my dad itstall it on the day of a giveawayoftheday promo I said just install it and leave it alone When i come visit I will use it to make clones They live far away and i only get to see them or times a year When I do I stay for about a week at a time My mom would not let me make clones and did not want to spend the money oh a new HD to clone hers to I know better than to argue with my Monther so i let it go and forgot about it Well My moms HD in her little Dell xps finally failed to boot up she called and asked if it was too late to do that copy i was tellling her about I had to laugh You said you did not want so spend the money and did not want me to mess it up I said I don t know we ran some tests over the phone and decided she needed a recovery CD that Dell ever supplies with their desktop bundles She ordered one from Dell Well it was not a Windows Cd It was a recovery boot Cd To boot to the recovery partition and restore factory defaults She was pretty mad when she found that was her only option I said wait I will come in a few weeks and see what I can do with my tools Well she got impatient and ended up ordering a new HD from Dell Support talked her through the HD swap and she got back to working condition but had to re install all of the programs etc I visited and came to find out she was so agrivated waiting for dell to get it handled She went and bought a new Windows Desktop Of course a brand name with a huge bundle of sofware and No Windows CD or DVD When I was using her old dell it started re-booting everytme i d open IE Did a little home work and diagnosis and her Power supply was shot She Had a new computer and did not want to spend bucks on a re-furbished one btw for a tiny little watt power supply Thanks to proprietarty Dell Anyhow My dad just got a new Notebook too So they both have new computers and are getting them set up the way they want and my mom said this time we are doing copies of the drives Finally the expression quot its not if it will fail it s when it will fail quot became very clear to her So My question is I need some advice on solutions for Windows PCs recovery and redundant copies for both the new PC s It needs to be cheap yet easy I got my mom backing up files now with a Click free Drive she got That is probabbly fine for their file back ups But I want to be able to have a clone for fast replacement of a failing HD for the desktop and the notebook I am comfotable copying drives and have used Paragon Drive copy with great success for myself Any other thoughts woul be great I need opinions please Oh and probabbly needs to be around i think is the max they will spend willingly Thanks Jason nbsp

Relevancy 52.46%

Hi all,

I'd like to be able to setup a storage site,
whereby customers can install a small app on their machine
and regularly send their docs, photos, files to my storage site.

Does such software exist on the market already?

Thanks
pc-repair.ie

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/remote-backup-solution-cots.648660/
Relevancy 52.46%

OK I have a home network with the following My Laptop Vista Ultimate Wife's laptop Vista Home Need a GOOD help solution finding backup Premium x Son's Mini Tower Vista Home basic x I am in need of a good reliable backup solution My wife is a PHD student and loosing her work would be a REAL issue Ciurrently I am useing Mozy Online Backup Simple Automatic Secure as a online backup Need help finding a GOOD backup solution but just found out that files backed up over days old are not kept meaning lets say I have a doc thats days old was backed up days ago and not modified since then On day there is no backup So as a interum solution I am makeing a DVD of her quot My Documents quot folder every weeks but again thats a pain I guess what I am looking for is a backup archive solution which I dont think I will find online I looked into a in-expensive home NAS device but havent been able to find one that has decent reviews Requirements Must be networkable meaning I can put on the network while not directly attached to one of the laptops I AM open to Need help finding a GOOD backup solution maby being attached to the mini-tower but would prefer a stand-alone device Either wired or wireless is fine All my systems must be able to backup to said device Must be able to schedule backups either useing the built-in windows backup or other software I dont need more than GB really all I am going to back up is data Any Ideas or Opinions welcome

A:Need help finding a GOOD backup solution

Hi wwoods,

The built in backup program included in Vista does a pretty good job. You might try them to see if you like them.

How to Create a Complete Computer Backup and Restore Image in Vista

and

How to Backup Files with Optional Automatic Backups in Vista

If you want a real good 3rd party backup program, then Acronis True Image is the way to go. You can try out a 15 day fully functional trial version here.

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/download/trueimage/

Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/software/116640-need-help-finding-good-backup-solution.html
Relevancy 52.46%

Can anyone recommend a free software package to backup files to CD/DVD and which has an incremental option? Preferably something you have used yourself!
Much appreciated if anyone can help?

A:Anyone able to recommend a free backup solution?

The following freeware (for private use) is recommended by the German computer mag PC-WELT for creating drive, partition, etc images, like Acronis True Image or Norton Ghost. However. It will do what you want, but I have not used it myself.

DriveImage XML 2.0.2 1.7 MB
http://www.runtime.org/driveimage-xml.htm

As you will know, the best medium for substantial backups is not a CD or DVD but an external HDD. The above utility is suited well for all these backups.

A video tutorial on its use is found here:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTEnKA7tOXM[/ame]

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/anyone-able-to-recommend-a-free-backup-solution.123347/
Relevancy 52.46%

I have several Netgear RedyNAS on hand, and looking to do a corporate backup solution.
The ideal scenario is the following:

- Centrally managed
- The NAS on which each client stores the backup is manageable* (Very important feature)
- Selective Data/Folder backup management
- Can be integrated with AD, the user's share to be accessed using his AD username and Password
What solutions would provide those requirements?

* The idea is to have several NAS units distributed over the network, and each client stores on the closest NAS depending on a defined profile. The main goal is to avoid WAN Links exhaustion.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/390361-centrally-managed-backup-solution.html
Relevancy 52.46%

Hello there,
Does anyone have experiencve with an enterprise backup solution? My boss had already been asking me to do some research, but then we had a major data loss on one particular individual the other day that really got her hard up for it. The only thing I have been able to find is Altiris (a symantec company). I can't seem to find anything else.

A:Enterprise desktop backup solution

http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/enterprise-desktop-backup-solution.870460/
Relevancy 52.46%

A client of mine is running a powerfull require a backup on advice I solution. media center computer basically for qbase It has been having problems lately most notable is its failure to function P The problem The computer will not log I require advice on a backup solution. in on any mode of safe mode nor will it log in using the last known good configuration option It gives a blue screen for about half a second tried times to pause it with no avail Computer is trapped in a reboot loop Problem complications No windows cd My solution I'm thinking i will get a external USB HDD and clone his HDD image onto it rebuild his computer and then extract the files from the cloned disk using backtrack or knoppix STD or something Not to sure how to do this but it can't be to hard What i need is a backup solution or a periodical incremental backup solution for long term use so if his computer stuffs up next time then I don't have to do all of this again Costs are incurred by the client Does anyone know of a lite backup program setup or the like Also is my recovery plan practically sound or do you think it will pose a problem Thanks TSF

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/i-require-advice-on-a-backup-solution-206369.html
Relevancy 52.46%

Just purchased a new system with Win7 64-bit. Have used WinRescue for years to automagically backup registry and selected other files each night. Unfortunately, I discover there is no 64 bit verison of this program. Have never trusted the built-in Windows backup and normally turn this off in favor of other solutions. What I'm asking here is recommendations for reliable backup software to prepare for the inevitable.

A:backup solution - similar to WinRescue?

Imaging with free Macrium

Macrium Reflect is my backup/system imaging software of choice.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/279449-backup-solution-similar-winrescue.html
Relevancy 52.46%

Lately, I'm using many different services (as long as they're safe) to store everything I can online to get my laptop and somehow my house, well lighter. I am quite sure I'm not the only one, but I'm curious to know what do you use to backup your data.
Here's my list of my favourite ones so far:
evernote but mostly as a bookmark tool
dropbox, googledrive and skydrive for photos, docs or work stuff
unioncy recenlty found, where I moved my products documentation like warranties and receipts

Any suggestion? Do you use something different I can try out?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/514826/do-you-use-online-storagebackup-solution/
Relevancy 52.46%

We have a Windows Server PDC and a handful of workstations I ve Solution Solved: Reliable Backup been searching for a reliable easy-to-use solution for backing up our data Most solutions that seem to fit the bill are designed for the large enterprises - something I cannot justify in terms of cost vs ROI I ve tried using Microsoft s backup but it fails every now and then to complete the backup - and the logs are empty Does anyone have suggestions for products to look at that allow me to Schedule a backup of the server s data to a secondary machine on the domain I m happy to have workstations push data to the server for backup if required Optionally backup the Operating System drive that would allow for quick recovery in the event of a total hard disk failure In the past I Solved: Reliable Backup Solution ve had to rebuild the server and then mess around with the workstations due to the accounts becoming invalid no experience and I didn t know about this forum Our server has RAID - Ghost does not support RAID I found out Solved: Reliable Backup Solution the hard way Thanks in advance nbsp

Relevancy 52.46%

I am looking for a decent and fast backup solution. I am leaning toward
Acronis True Image 9.0 . But it's a bit pricey, plus some people say that image backups have their drawbacks. What backup software do you use and recommend. 40 dollars or less, please include URLs.

A:Please advise a backup solution for Windows OS

low-cost backups

I'm just a guy, certainly no expert, but- I used Acronis 8, both for backup disks, and a disk " clone. Don't know about v.9. Nero 6.6 Ultra has a "backitup" function, I have used it, but have not had to access the disks yrt- so? They are at www.nero.com, but the software is ubiquitous. Can be found online from $19.95 up, and it comes bundled with many CD, DVD burners, etc. (oops- I found Acrnis 8 at Fry's earlier this year for 39.95, plus a rebate.) Currently, I am participating in a beta of Windows OneCare Live, which has a system "tune-up" and also a file backup section as part of its anti-virus function. I do not know the cost of the distributed program. I am sure there are many others, but these are a few to check out.

witless is bliss

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/please-advise-a-backup-solution-for-windows-os.35889/
Relevancy 52.46%

Just as the title says I'm looking for a local backup solution that functions like carbonite constantly monitoring files and backing them up whenever possible. Anyone know of such a thing?

A:Carbonite like solution for local backup.

You can just do disc imaging to a seperate HD, or external.

Acronis has a Non-Stop backup that backs up any changes every 5 minutes.
Im not sure this is really needed however.

It can also have schedules set to back up the entire drive, or single folder however often you want it done.
Daily, Weekly, twice a day, every hour .. whatever.

You can set it to even make a complete backup of the entire HD every 2 days for example.
As well as , every 2 hours back up say ... "My Documents" or My Pictures" .

Acronis is however a paid program.

Theres also Macrium Reflect which is free that can make System Images.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/164904-carbonite-like-solution-local-backup.html
Relevancy 52.46%

Macrium Reflect has done me well with its HDD cloning function, but backing up an entire TB of data every time leaves me with considerable gaps in data coverage when I just don't feel like sitting through the process for a while.

Are there any simple tools (perhaps rsync-like in functionality) for Windows 7 that do incremental backups, so I don't have to deal with the pain of a full hard drive clone every time I want to run a backup? One of my hard drives just went kaput on me, and were it not for TestDisk, I wouldn't have gotten back a few gigabytes of important data.

To be clear, I very much enjoy the RAID-like cloning ability of Macrium; I want whatever utility I use to make it so that I can just pull the dead hard drive out with no downtime.

A:Best incremental backup solution for Windows 7?

I only do full drive backups. Where I used to work (I was the Network Manager) we originally did a full drive backup of our file server on Monday night and then incrementals the rest of the week. We found out that it was shorter backups on the incrementals, but also a hassle and even confusion properly installing the incrementals when a hard drive restore or rebuild was required. We dumped the incrementals and did a full backup every night.

FWIW, there is a poll on our sister Win 10 forum, Windows 10 Forums about what backup software is being used. Here is the latest results.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/400232-best-incremental-backup-solution-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 52.46%

Hi all please bear with me on this it DRP backup/storage Data for solution may be long but i d really appreciate some input from the Data backup/storage solution for DRP more experienced gurus Data backup/storage solution for DRP on this As I T Manager in our company i have to put a Disaster Recvoery Plan in action for the I T Currently we have an LTO tape drive in a Dell tower server which backups up gb fully once per week takes tapes and days with weekday incrementals after that takes tape all across the whole system of servers Now here are the options loosely that i m thinking of Install an autoloader with or tapes so that backup doesn t take days due to manual loading of tapes Take tapes off-site Pros cheaper faster Cons not as reliable imho Install NAS or SAN box to hold all data Create wireless bridge Mbit to our other site yards away Use some appropriate synchronsing software that will on its first run probably take a weekend to sync all the data across to the other site and from then on should be just nightly sync ing of the data changes during that day This could also work in reverse for the other unit so that their data is store off-site too Pros more reliable less human interaction to screw it up Cons Price Ok so does anyone have any opinions on the options i m exploring Personally i like the sound of option so can anyone recommend an appropriate program to sync the data the way i want it Do you have any other options to put forward Oh i m also looking at putting a leased line in but that won t be fast enough to use as data transfer of this magnitude Does anyone in the UK have any recommended suppliers of leased line Thanks for any advice offered nbsp

A:Data backup/storage solution for DRP

Filesystem synchronisation is not that good of an idea.. What if the synchronisation happens after disaster has struck and good data on the "backup" gets overwritten? You need to have several copies of backed up data at any point in time.

I would recommend - daily incrementals and weekly full backups to disk. Either a plain single huge SATA drive or some sort of an array (you can go up to monster standalone SCSI RAID enclosures here) depending on your desire for speed and/or redundancy. Backup to disk is fast and (selective) restore is amazingly fast. You can use filesystem synchronisation or backup software - doesn't matter.

Copy the backup disk contents to tape at any suitable time for offsite keeping or archival. Still needs an autoloader or a library for that I suppose...

If you are interested in disastoer recovery and archival is not necessary at all, then you can foget about tape completely. Just make several copies of the backup disk(s) whenever you feel like it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/data-backup-storage-solution-for-drp.85048/
Relevancy 52.46%

Hello forum I am more of a Mac person solution Bootable backup/cloning but in general not completely bad with Windows too I own also two Windows PC's Bootable backup/cloning solution So please forgive me if I don't speak the right Windows language I am trying to help a friend to create a bootable backup solution for her Windows computer - she uses already Mozy for some files but would like - after her power supply died recently without any recognizable reason - also to have a bootable clone of her internal hard drive onto an external USB hard Bootable backup/cloning solution drive After researching a little I think that Bootable backup/cloning solution probably quot EaseUS Todo Backup Free quot or quot Macrium Reflect Free quot should be able to do this job I installed EaseUS Todo Backup Free now on my own Windows PC and configured it firsty to do an hourly incremental quot Disk Backup quot This seems to work fine However I cannot boot from this backup I then created a quot Disk Partition Clone quot which also seems to work - however this kind of backup cannot be put on a schedule with EaseUS and I also don't know whether I really can boot from this drive Ok the question is How can I create a scheduled bootable backup clone with either EaseUS or Reflect or is this basically not possible What else can you suggest to me Thanks a lot - resucami

A:Bootable backup/cloning solution

With Reflect, you need to have the paid version to make a scheduled image. However, I do not recommend that. One has to have the backup drive connected to the computer all the time to be able to do scheduled backups and that would leave the backup drive vulnerable to corruption from malware, etc. It is far safer to backup to a drive that is connected to the computer only during the backup.

For continuous, automatic data backups online, I recommend Carbonite or CrashPlan instead of Mozy. Carbonite still has unlimited backup for a flat fee (something Mozy no longer has) and Carbonite recently discontinued their policy of throttling upload speeds when the amount of data backed up exceeded 200GB. Unlike CrashPlan, which retains older versions of files indefinitely, Carbonite will retain older versions of files only 30 days but Carbonite's upload speeds are far greater than CrashPlan's (and 30 days should be long enough for recovering files that are accidentally deleted, etc.). Carbonite is also easier to set up than CrashPlan.

For backing up to an external drive, I strongly suggest separating the System files (OS and programs) and data to separate partitions (or even drives), then using an imaging program to backup the System partitions only. System only images take far less time to make and take up less room on a backup drive, allowing more images to be stored. An image can then be used to restore the OS partitions if ever needed. For imaging, I highly recommend Macrium Reflect Free (here is a good tutorial on how to use Macrium Reflect).

For backing up data, I prefer to use a folder/file syncing program, such as SyncToy or FreeFileSync (I personally prefer the latter). A folder/file syncing program works by comparing a source drive or partition or folder with a destination drive, partition, or folder and then copying over any new or changed files and deleting any that have been deleted. This leaves a backup drive that is essentially an exact copy of the source and is usable as is (unlike images). While FreeFileSync can be set to do scheduled backups, I do not recommend it (except in certain, very specialized circumstances) since it would require leaving the backup drive connected at all times.

Macrium Reflect can also be used to clone an entire drive, which will give you a bootable copy of the original drive, but I normally recommend cloning only for when moving the contents of a drive to a new drive that is replacing the original drive. Cloning an entire drive is not an efficient way to backup a drive because of the huge amount of time it takes and the dramatically increased wear and tear on the backup drive.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/343088-bootable-backup-cloning-solution.html
Relevancy 52.46%

Hi all For the last year solution control revision and Backup I ve been looking around Backup solution and revision control trying to find an acceptable backup solution I ve been using Acronis True Image Home but I really don t like it as it s a little too complex for my tastes Furthermore a horrific data loss occurred today when an app crashed and the saved document became corrupted I know there are all sorts of complicated quot software safes quot and the like but to be honest I m looking for something that my techno-illiterate family can use day-to-day What I need is to be able to say quot give me the version of this file I opened at two Backup solution and revision control nights ago quot etc all the way back for about a month or so I don t really need to keep long-term deep archives except for a few folders as well as a partition image to rebuild in case of a catastrophe Again I m looking for something that doesn t require a handful of IT certifications to implement I m not looking for corporate-level and priced things like Backup Exec Retrospect etc Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Backup solution and revision control

The batch file in post #2 of this thread would not take much to modify it to do what you want for saving files. Mainly just need to set the variables to the right values, and uncomment the right section of code for the different options (all users, one user, etc).
backup path
Shared backup location, e.g. C:\Backups\Username
Stored in each profile, e.g. My Documents\Backups
A shared folder would make all files visible to everyone
You could set permissions, but that would get complicated
# of days to save
Names of folders to backup
Easiest if all users use the same Folder names and paths, like My Documents\Must_Keep_These
Current user's folders only, or check every user's folders every time it runs
Copy all files, or only files that have changed?
Delete all folders older than X days, or only the folder from X days ago?
Date-number or date-time naming for backup folders?
If you take multiple backups during the day it uses a date-number setup rather than a date-time setup for the folder name, but changing that wouldn't take too much.
Date-number: (use date modified/created to determine time)
20080910-100
20080910-101
20080910-102
Date-time (can also use AM-PM rather than 24 hour)
20080910-0902
20080910-1230
20080910-1457

The file can be run manually, though Limited Users could only save their own files, unless they have permission for the other user's folders.
Or it can be run as a Scheduled Task, set to run every X minutes/hours, or once a day.

To open a particular version of a file you would use My Computer and go to the folder for the day/time you want. If you are only saving files that have changed, you would have to either look in each of the older folders until you find the last changed version, or search the folders to find what dates/times you have.

Someone proficient in Windows Scripting/VB Scripts could probably develop a script that would monitor the folders, and make a date-time stamped backup every time a file changed, along with a nice dialog box to list the available versions of each file. I'm not that proficient yet though.

If you want to give the batch file a try, let me know the specifics and I can tweak it for you to try.

HTH

Jerry

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/backup-solution-and-revision-control.748712/
Relevancy 52.46%

I just upgraded from Quicken 2005 to 2008. I have two DVD recorder drives in my HP PC. With Q2005 I could backup using either drive, but now I can only backup to drive F - whenever I try to backup to the E drive I get a message that the drive is Read Only! Does anyone know why this is happening? Thanks!

Gene

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/quicken-2008-backup-problem.726865/
Relevancy 52.46%

Hello,

I have a SQL server that has a corrupt MASTER.LDF file, which prevents SQL services from starting at all.

Is there any way to start SQL services with just MASTER.MDF? So far I have tried renaming MASTER.LDF to MASTER.LDF.OLD and SQL reports that the file is missing and still does not start (although I do not get a corrupt message).

If I cannot start MASTER.MDF without the log file, is there a way to rebuild the log file?

Help is appreciated. Thanks!

A:SQL 2008 R2 - MASTER.LDF corrupted without backup - Can I

Welcome to the forum. In server properties under start up if you add -m will it then start?

http://www.pchelpforum.com/software-support/125417-sql-2008-r2-master-ldf-corrupted-without-backup-can-i.html
Relevancy 52.03%

Okay I want to go over pros and cons of some of the things that my boss wants done First off let me explain what we have Users are on a domain system Both laptop and desktop users No users have admin rights Now let me explain what we want to do We want a backup of their My Documents and possibly Help Solved: certain users server! to getting Finally backup this a file Need server. PC's to other directories in the future but we want Solved: Finally getting a file server! Need to backup certain users PC's to this server. Help it to be as invisible to them Solved: Finally getting a file server! Need to backup certain users PC's to this server. Help as possible I looked into the Folder redirection GPO and has a good pro - Simple to impelment I did a test on my own PC did it in about minutes cons - in order to allow laptops to work they would have to have offline folders enabled and synchrnized and worst of all synchrnization won t accept PST s MDB s and Solved: Finally getting a file server! Need to backup certain users PC's to this server. Help other key files that we would need synchronized as well gives errors in the synching process I then thought about a file sync program letting them seemlessly work on their PCs and just sync the files to the file server - Pros Can install a server side client that just polls for connected PC s and copies the files to the repsective places Cons costs money usually does not sync in use files making some of the files be missed Lastly I considered a batch file to run at login - Pros easier to setup to copy things out Cons only runs at login so people could leave their PC up for days and have day old software As well I do not know how to copy only modified files so some people with large files would copy over a ton of data unless I can find a solution for this Anyone else have any Ideas possibly something with all pros and no cons nbsp

A:Solved: Finally getting a file server! Need to backup certain users PC's to this server. Help

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-finally-getting-a-file-server-need-to-backup-certain-users-pcs-to-this-server-help.438703/
Relevancy 52.03%

I have a file server at home with a Quad core gb ram and a tb of storage It is running Ubuntu Home Windows Server choose: R2 Windows Server 2008 vs. 2011 Help Desktop and sharing video files primarily From my school I have access to a free copy of Windows Server R Other than the server I have Windows Help choose: Windows Home Server 2011 vs. Windows Server 2008 R2 desktops Windows laptop and Windows Vista laptop I am interested in moving to a Windows setup as I am done with the Ubuntu experiment WHS looks like what I need but I have a free copy of WS and I would miss the for WHS My goals can be described best as Need to Haves File media server local network Dedicated game server for various games for friends Print server Nice to Haves Music Video Streaming over the internet Automatic backup server File server over the internet Ability to manager other PC s Help choose: Windows Home Server 2011 vs. Windows Server 2008 R2 from the server My ability as an admin No experience Willing to learn and put forth initial effort to get setup Don t have time to really spend more than day moving from Ubuntu to the new setup Don t want to be stuck constantly screwing with things to get it right or keep it running What is going to be best option for my situation

A:Help choose: Windows Home Server 2011 vs. Windows Server 2008 R2

Honestly, I use both in their proper settings, and unless you have a domain at home with multiple users, Windows Server 2008 R2 is overkill...and would require much more tweaking and add-in apps to do what you want. Given your write-up, WHS 2011 is the way to go. It does much of what you want out of the box, and is designed for people who don't want to become server admins (or at least not be forced to).

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/216054-help-choose-windows-home-server-2011-vs-windows-server-2008-r2.html
Relevancy 52.03%

G'day everyone

Does anyone know of a simple backup program that is capable of backing up large files incrementally by splitting the file and backing up only changed parts of the file? The files I'm talking about are files that get altered by appending stuff at the end of the file, e.g. log files or mailbox files, so it's generally possible to split a new version of the file at the exact point where the old version stopped, purely by file size.

Specifically, I want to back up Thunderbird and SeaMonkey mailboxes without having to create additional subfolders within those programs.

I understand that if something had changed near the beginning of the file, then the whole file will have to be backed up, unless the backup program is capable of some very clever searching, but mostly the files will change only by having data appended to it.

Thanks
Samuel

A:Backup software that splits large files for incremental backup

You may want to rethink incremental backups. Where I worked, until I retired, we first used incremental backups for our servers. That seemed like a good approach - make an initial full backup on one day of the week and then only incrementals the rest of the week. That allowed smaller backups however when it came time to restore it was a nightmare making sure the incrementals were installed in the proper order, and it took much longer to restore. A decision was made to only do full backups every night and although the backup was bigger if a restore was needed there was no confusion on order of reinstall and it took less time.

I do the same thing with my own PC backups. I use Acronis True Image, which has incremental backup ability, but I only do full hard drive backups, to a separate hard drive.

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/267442-backup-software-splits-large-files-incremental-backup.html
Relevancy 52.03%

I have a new HP that drive? Is a backup backup transfers can read files there software I my on Pavillion Elite HPE with GB of memory running Windows I am an average computer user I have a WD external backup drive with TB memory I don't like the backup software that comes with the computer Is there a backup software that transfers files I can read on my backup drive? I can't access anything to see how old the files are The only option is to restore Thank God I haven't had to do that I have the files important to me backed up manually I tried Nova backup but all I had was a bunch really- a bunch of files again that I couldn't access I had Is there a backup software that transfers files I can read on my backup drive? a copy of Norton Ghost that wouldn't work with my old XP computer so I tried it on this one After days with support manipulating Is there a backup software that transfers files I can read on my backup drive? my computer going through three people to the software engineer they could not make Ghost work on my whatever computer I don't know if I need a mirror or clone or whatever I've been reading about that I don't understand I have plenty of room on the backup drive and have CD's and DVD's that will restore I think Best Buy made me some when I bought it and the computer made me make some as well when I got home I can manually do a system backup less my files that doesn't change So what I really want to do is to find a software that will enable me to choose the files I want to that sometimes change My Documents and have those backup on a regular basis I also want to have those so I can go to my M drive backup drive and see my files just like in windows explorer That way if anything does happen I know my files are alright and if I have to I can drag and drop

A:Is there a backup software that transfers files I can read on my backup drive?

and welcome to the Forum

I use Syncback for that:

SyncBack Freeware - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/is-there-a-backup-software-that-transfers-files-i-can-read-on-my-backup-drive-543344.html
Relevancy 52.03%

I m preparing to before Computer files,etc? upgrade backup suggestions,.bkf software XP--backup to upgrade from Windows professional to XP I would like a perfect backup of my C drive in case Computer backup before upgrade to XP--backup software suggestions,.bkf files,etc? the worst happens and XP kills my computer so I can revert back to and my old system without a problem I have hard drives so I have the room to put an exact image of my C drive onto the slave drive Just wanting to get some feedback as to the best way to do this So far I just used the quot backup now quot option in Windows and saved Computer backup before upgrade to XP--backup software suggestions,.bkf files,etc? a bkf file of my entire drive to the slave It actually didn t take up that much space--the bkf must contain some sort of compression Anyway is this the best way to go about protecting myself or would it be worthwhile to instead invest Computer backup before upgrade to XP--backup software suggestions,.bkf files,etc? in a rd party backup program instead before undertaking this There are tons of programs out there of course Norton Ghost Backup Now GoBack or what have you If Windows option works well I don t know why people would buy a rd party program but I hear about it a lot so I thought I d ask Anyone ever restored an entire system from a windows bkf file before and had difficulty Protecting myself is pretty important to me Any advice would be helpful nbsp

A:Computer backup before upgrade to XP--backup software suggestions,.bkf files,etc?

With the windows backup you have to reinstall windows and then restore the backup to get back to where you were. I use and love ghost because it makes a 100% exact copy of EVERYTHING and all you have to do to get it back is to restore the image and you're up a going again - no need to reinstall windows. Is also fast and can clone one drive to another or create an Image file.

GoBack I don't like and Backup Now needs windows to be installed to restore the backup

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-backup-before-upgrade-to-xp-backup-software-suggestions-bkf-files-etc.141591/
Relevancy 51.6%

Does any know how or what software I can use to backup a customers computer (a complete image) before I work on it. That way if something gets dorked up i can reload the machine to where i started.

Software like Norton Ghost and Acronis True Image are licensed per computer and dont have a commercial or mulitple computer use license. I dont want to give my customers to have to have to buy software for each computer I repair.

Is there any solution for this?

A:System backup solution for computer repairman?

I know at least one very prominent computer repair tech who does use Acronis TI Workstation to image a customer's drive in situations where a restoration or new install action is taken. As far as I know he never installs ATI-WS on the customer's drive, it's only a temporary archive until he is sure that the customer is not missing any data files from the altered system that he may not have known the location of, or forgot about. If in a few weeks to a month or two he hasn't heard back from the customer about any missing data and he needs the room for new archives on the drive, he deletes the oldest ones.

So the software never goes on multiple computers, just the workbench so that's not a problem technically. He's also self-employed so does commercial apply? Technically it probably does but Acronis TI Workstation is small and medium networked business solution software, so I think that qualifies as a commercial license, but, I haven't read the EULA to see if this particular use is prohibited or not. I know there are no impediments to such use.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/system-backup-solution-for-computer-repairman.818946/
Relevancy 51.6%

Looking for a backup solution for backing up and implementing a mapped network drive on one of our servers and moving the corresponding folder pathways to a different location.

We have a 10TB Synology drive that backs up our existing shared drive and we are considering making the Synology drive the main shared drive with a cloud backup.

We have a DHCP server, (2) SQL servers, with split users remoting into either, a VOIP server and and 4 total network switches connecting everyone.
Can anyone recommend a good solution/application paid or free for backing up a shared network drive and the best device/hardware for implementing a new network drive?

We are dealing with a very old server that is limited space wise.

Apologies for the non extensive detail, don't have a lot of time on my plate ATM but will answer any follow up questions/details that are needed.

Any help is appreciated.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/395103-backup-solution-mapped-network-drive.html