Windows Support Forum

Dual Boot Vista and Ubuntu 9.10: No Internet Connection in Ubuntu

Q: Dual Boot Vista and Ubuntu 9.10: No Internet Connection in Ubuntu

Acer Desktop PC Model AM sis ethernet adapter webstar dpx series cable in Ubuntu No Boot 9.10: Vista Ubuntu Connection Dual and Internet modem After setting up a dual Dual Boot Vista and Ubuntu 9.10: No Internet Connection in Ubuntu boot system successfully Vista connects to internet via ethernet Ubuntu does not sis ethernet driver is updated to latest version I can access the internet from Ubuntu however after shutting down the pc unplugging the power cord removing the cmos battery and reinstalling I reinsert the power cord and boot up as normal into Ubuntu and have full access to internet Simply removing reinserting ethernet cord removing reinserting pc or cable modem power cord or resetting cable modem does not work I am asking if there is a solution as to where I can log off Vista and restart pc into Ubuntu and have internet access automatically bypassing Dual Boot Vista and Ubuntu 9.10: No Internet Connection in Ubuntu all these steps I ve explained After perusing multiple forums where people have described similar if not same issues I ve yet to find a solution to this I ran ipconfig in Vista and have the results I ran ifconfig in Ubuntu and have the Dual Boot Vista and Ubuntu 9.10: No Internet Connection in Ubuntu results As these results may contain information that can present a vulnerability regarding system ip identification I have omitted them here If needed I will respond via personal message with the contents Thank you in advance for your continued contributions in aiding the computer world quot handicapped quot nbsp

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Dual Boot Vista and Ubuntu 9.10: No Internet Connection in Ubuntu

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Dual Boot Vista and Ubuntu 9.10: No Internet Connection in Ubuntu

Ubu 9.10 has known issues

If you are using Ubuntu 9.10, it has known issues with the built-in Network Manager and DSL modems (and presumably Cable modems as well)..

Currently, there is no fix (short of going back to 8.10 or hoping it is fixed in Ubu10 due out in April (iirc). Sorry.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-boot-vista-and-ubuntu-9-10-no-internet-connection-in-ubuntu.142344/
Relevancy 88.04%

Hey all I am new here. I recently did a dual boot install of Ubuntu with my Home Premium Windows 7 machine. I need to figure out how to uninstall Ubuntu and the grub loader... any thoughts?

I installed Windows 7 first... Ubuntu 64 desktop edition came after.

I shrunk my Windows 7 partition to install Ubuntu.

If you need more information, let me know, and thanks in advance.

A:dual boot w/ Ubuntu, need to uninstall Ubuntu

Quote: Originally Posted by Konstantinov

Hey all I am new here. I recently did a dual boot install of Ubuntu with my Home Premium Windows 7 machine. I need to figure out how to uninstall Ubuntu and the grub loader... any thoughts?

I installed Windows 7 first... Ubuntu 64 desktop edition came after.

I shrunk my Windows 7 partition to install Ubuntu.

If you need more information, let me know, and thanks in advance.

Hello Konstantinov, and welcome to Windows Seven Forums!

Baisically, you just need to delete the two Ubuntu partitions, then restore the bootmgr from Windows 7. Please look these over and post back any questions?

MBR - Restore Windows 7 Master Boot Record

Remove Grub - Restore Windows 7

Cheers!
Robert

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/64180-dual-boot-w-ubuntu-need-uninstall-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 84.01%

I was attempting to set up my laptop as a dual boot with Vista (already on it) and Ubuntu. While the installation was partitioning the hard drive it froze. I think this erased my dell partition on the computer. Is there a way to fix this?

A:Ubuntu/Vista dual boot

When you say Dell do you mean the vista partition?

I'm afraid i need more information regarding how you were partitioning your hard disk:

1. Were you using the Ubuntu installer to format the drive?
2. What were you doing? (were you resizing the Vista partition, or using another one?)

It will only have made any modification to the "Dell" partition if you were either resizing it, or you have unknowingly deleted it.

If you restart the installation what do you see in the hard disk menu?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ubuntu-vista-dual-boot.154163/
Relevancy 83.08%

Ok so here's the deal A while ago I decided to try out Ubuntu on my RAID JBOD computer setup but unfortunately Ubuntu or would not even start up it would just sit in command prompt waiting for an input from me but of course I'm no expert in such things something about quot raminitfs quot and it would just sit there waiting for me to type something but even after typing quot help quot I am still lost So after a good hour looking at other forums with no success I decided to take Ubuntu off But see here's some tricky stuff When I installed both Ubuntu versions instead of creating a partition I chose to install it right in Windows as an APPLICATION Ubuntu issue & Dual Boot Vista saying that it might decrease disk performance but no biggie I uninstalled both versions as I would with a regular application Default programs gt Programs gt Uninstall The problem here is the following every time I boot up I come up to the Windows Vista boot manager screen and gives me the following options Windows Vista Ubuntu Ubuntu But the problem is I already uninstalled both Ubuntu versions I already tried using the repair method on my Vista DVD as well Vista & Ubuntu Dual Boot issue as the bootrec fixboot and bootrec fixmbr command methods but they didn't do anything The options are still appearing every time I boot I figured an alternative would be to go into Advanced Settings through Computer gt Properties and Vista & Ubuntu Dual Boot issue then check off the time to display multiple OSes option but it still gripes me that the Ubuntu option is still there somewhere on my RAID hard drives and I cannot remove it I checked the Disk Manager under Administrative Options in the control panel and I see no other partitions other than Vista This is still an issue to me because what if I want to install Windows XP or something and I have to use the Windows Vista Boot Manager I would appreciate it if there is anyone out there who knows how to solve this problem Thank You Soma PS For reference I have windows vista business bit

A:Vista & Ubuntu Dual Boot issue

Hello Soma, and welcome to the Vista Forums

The easiest way to solve this is type msconfig.exe into the start search bar and press enter

This will load the config editor on the Boot tab you should be able to delete the remnant entries

If you wish to dual boot Vista and Ubuntu I would recommend EasyBCD. Their documentation on their site includes a step by step for doing the dual boot and retaining control in vista.

NeoSmart Technologies

Hope this helps

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/197078-vista-ubuntu-dual-boot-issue.html
Relevancy 83.08%

I would like to know if someone can please help me set up a dual boot between Vista and Ubuntu I know this question has been asked and set a Dual Boot Vista up with Unsure Ubuntu how to more than once by other user in many threads but the reason why I am asking it is because I do not understand any of those soultions that were brought up in other threads My system came loaded with Vista basic and it is a Dell E which they jsut came out with a E pre-loaded with Ubuntu so I know all the drivers will work Also right now I am downloading Ubuntu after it is done I plan on burning it to a DVD then I need to know how to make it a dual boot where it will ask me if I want to boot Vista or Ubuntu also is there Unsure how to set up a Dual Boot with Vista and Ubuntu any risk that I will loose any of my files I currently have on Vista becuase I really don t want to loose them Thanks A Unsure how to set up a Dual Boot with Vista and Ubuntu lot Nick nbsp

A:Unsure how to set up a Dual Boot with Vista and Ubuntu

Try this one, I think it mite work 4 U !!

http://apcmag.com/5046/how_to_dual_boot_vista_with_linux_vista_installed_first

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/unsure-how-to-set-up-a-dual-boot-with-vista-and-ubuntu.78603/
Relevancy 83.08%

Hi All I'm running Vista HP x and Ubuntu x in a dual boot setup Currently I have an nVidia GT but would like to upgrade to an GT However the dual boot is causing me a problem NVidia forums advise me installation GPU 64x/Ubuntu Dual Vista 64x boot-new to boot Vista into safe mode uninstall the drivers run drivercleaner swap the cards and then install the appropriate drivers from their website The problem is that since installing Ubuntu I no longer have a safe mode option in my boot menu It has Ubuntu ubuntu recovery mode memtest and then Vista Longhorn There is no safe mode option I can get into Vista 64x/Ubuntu 64x Dual boot-new GPU installation setup and BIOS del tab and have looked in there but I'm not very techy and cannot understand it There doesn't seem to be any mention of Vista after the initial choice Can anybody help me with some simple instructions I want to upgrade the card to improve my gaming experience but it's proving complicated Do I really need to be in safe mode If so does anyone know how I can boot into it Thanks in advance John

A:Vista 64x/Ubuntu 64x Dual boot-new GPU installation

No real need to do it from safemode unless you have problems, TBH I wouldn't even both to uninstall the old drivers (but thats not good practice)

1 Uninstall the old drivers.
2 Switch the PC off & swap the cards.
3 Start PC and install latest drivers from the nvidia website.

Thats all you need to do.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/137824-vista-64x-ubuntu-64x-dual-boot-new-gpu-installation.html
Relevancy 83.08%

I have Vista installed on my laptop which was already on the machine when I bought it new, it had a few problems after some years, I think I should just reinstall Vista with an ISO that I've got from here.

But a few weeks ago I installed Ubuntu on dual boot.

If I install the Vista ISO from a USB drive should I download the drivers for the hard drive or will the Ubuntu drivers work? Or not because it's a different operating system?

Thanks

A:Reinstalling Vista on dual boot Ubuntu

I made this thread difficult to understand so I simplified it, hope you can help

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/304175-reinstalling-vista-dual-boot-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 83.08%

Hey Everyone,

Can Someone please give me some steps or an rough idea on how to remove a dual boot of Vista and Ubuntu? The reason I want to dump Unbuntu is because I simply don't care for it and prefer Vista. It was pretty easy to install a Dual Boot, but I'm not sure of how to unload Ubuntu. Any help concerning this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Geekienick101

A:Please Help, Reversing a Dual Boot with Vista and Ubuntu

Hi
Try to run this command under console as Administrator

c:\boot\Bootsect.exe /NT60 All

It should restore MBR. Partitions you can remove using Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Computer (maybe Disk) Management.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/please-help-reversing-a-dual-boot-with-vista-and-ubuntu.81599/
Relevancy 82.15%

Hi, I am struggling to connect to the internet on Win 7 but can connect fine on Ubuntu 12.04

I have dualboot Win 7 and Ubuntu 12.04.
I can connect to the internet no problem in Ubuntu.
In Win 7 I can connect to my local network and it shows as having internet connection, but I can not browse the internet. I have tried running the following commands in cmd

netsh winsock reset catalog
netsh int ip reset reset.log hit

I have tried unplugging my router, running win7 network troubleshooter, resetting my wireless card.

I can not seem to find a solution, I don't know what is causing the problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

A:Dual boot with Ubuntu 12.04 - Can't connect to internet on Win 7

Please provide the ipconfig /all output.
use option 2

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/264438-dual-boot-ubuntu-12-04-cant-connect-internet-win-7-a.html
Relevancy 82.15%

I want to upgrade Vista to Windows 7, but without disturbing my Ubuntu installation, which is dual boot with Vista. I would prefer to do a clean install of Windows 7 over Vista, which has had niggling little issues (I resolve them and new ones appear) ever since I bought the pc. I don't have the recovery discs for Vista (the ones you make when you buy a new system) as they went missing during a major move.

What is the best way to accomplish all the above? Also, from what I understand, a clean installation can be done with an upgrade version of Windows 7 as long as a previous version of Vista or XP is already on the machine? I am not terribly confident when it comes to doing things like this, so would appreciate any help I can get. Thanks.

A:Installing Windows 7 over Vista on dual boot with Ubuntu

Is your Ubuntu installation on a partition on the same hard disk or on a seperate one?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/208480-installing-windows-7-over-vista-dual-boot-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 82.15%

A friend of mine has a Compaq Presario PC with Pentium 4 3.2 GHz CPU, 100GB Hard Drive, 1 GB RAM running Vista Home Basic. He created a second partition to place UBUNTU 9.04.

Now we get the following error message at boot time: "Inaccessible_boot_device" and another time when it did some kind of check we read "Primary Master Hard Disk Error"

He doesnot have a separate VISTA disk nor does he have a backup of the system before turning his PC into a dual-boot computer. Don't bother asking any follow up questions as I'm not near the PC now. I'm going to visit it on the 25th of December.

Does anyone have any suggested links to understand how to dig ourselves out of this problem?

Are there any software programs on a bootable disk that can restore the computer to the time before UBUNTU was added?

A:Problems creating Vista/Ubuntu Dual Boot

Hi this is a how to on dual booting vista and ubuntu http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vi...lled_first.htm

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/problems-creating-vista-ubuntu-dual-boot-444272.html
Relevancy 82.15%

Hi,

I am actually using Windows Vista Home Premium and I would like to dualboot Ubuntu Linux 8.04 Desktop Version to it but I don't know how to do it. Can someone help me for that

Also I would like to know what can be done on Linux that is same to windows. As example playing games etc...

Thanks in advance for any help
amagnien

A:Dual Boot Vista with Ubuntu 8.04 Desktop Version

Whenever I have installed Ubuntu, it has given me the option of if I would like to partition a disk and do an installation. I have never done it that way. Instead, I have a separate disk that I put Ubuntu on. The installation CD would show the two disks and ask which one I wanted to install on. I always had a smaller disk for Ubuntu, so identifying which one was easy. Ubuntu would do the rest, but it does make Ubuntu the default disk, and you will choose which disk you want to boot into using Linux's GRUB. You can, if you want, go into menu.lst and choose which operating system it will boot into after how many seconds have elapsed.

Ubuntu's programs can do everything the everyday user could hope to do: word processing, spreadsheets, image editing, slide shows, playing music and movies. There are games available for Linux, but not as exciting and graphically rich as those available for Windows. If you're a gamer, you won't like Linux. But for everything else, it will be a fun ride. GIMP is as close to Photoshop as you could wish, Inkscape does a nice job of doing tasks that Illustrator can do. For making brochures, books, and other published items, Scribus is a little tricky but it works well. You can record your voice or musical instruments into Audacity and make wave or OGG files. You can import Photoshop files into GIMP, Illustrator files into Inkscape (after you download some filters), and any file made in Microsoft Office. Linux is quite versatile.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-boot-vista-with-ubuntu-8-04-desktop-version.114069/
Relevancy 111.37%

A long title indeed, but it pretty much sums it all up. I have installed Ubuntu first and then dual booted windows XP. I soon found out that the fact Ubuntu wasn't compatible with many programs (even through wine) I wanted only Windows XP on my pc.
I've searched many topics, but all described how to uninstall Ubuntu when Windows was the primary OS. In my case Ubuntu is the main OS and it dual boots with Windows and I want to rid myself of Ubuntu leaving only Windows.

What do I need to do to get the desired computer setup? Or is it irrelevant which OS was installed first and will a guide describing how to remove Ubuntu from windows work as well for my case.

Important addition: I could very well be the biggest computer-noob you've encountered thus far. So talk to me as though I am 4 year old

A:Uninstalling Ubuntu dual-booting Windows XP with Ubuntu installed first

shouldn't matter the install sequence if you want to only have Windows. Boot into Windows and then delete (from disk management) the linux partitions. This may leave your computer in a state where you can not boot into Windows. To fix this you'll have to boot off the XP install disk and boot to the recovery console, once there type 'fixmbr' without the '

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/uninstalling-ubuntu-dual-booting-windows-xp-with-ubuntu-installed-first.149005/
Relevancy 111.37%

If I have Vista x64 and Ubuntu x64 on the same hdd (different partitions) will Vista complete system backup also backup the ubuntu partition to an external usb hdd?.In other words is the Ubuntu also recoverable via the image created by vista?.

A:Dual Boot Vista Ultimate x64/Linux Ubuntu x64.Backup Image

Hello Mika,

Sorry, but the backup image that Vista creates is only of the Vista partition or drive. Ubuntu will not be backed up by Vista.

You should be able to use the free program Macrium Reflect to create a back up image of both partitions though.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/208445-dual-boot-vista-ultimate-x64-linux-ubuntu-x64-backup-image.html
Relevancy 110.51%

My buddy has a computer with a problem and he s asked me to see if I can retrieve the data documents from the computer The subject computer is a COMPAQ PRESARIO SR NX with a Pentium cpu GHz GB RAM running Windows Vista Home Basic His goal was to create a dual boot computer UBUNTU and Vista What he did was one Saturday morning without reading directions he installed UBUNTU partitioning the computer in two partitions The computer Problem computer UBUNTU boot to a Failed Create a dual --Vista with Attempt - is now giving an error code of when GRUB Loader starts up Is there a restore disk or some kind of utility that can undo what was done to the computer He has no backup disk I tried Recovery Commander Ver made by Avanquest but as their website Problem with a Failed Attempt to Create a dual boot --Vista - UBUNTU computer indicates it s for XP They never updated it for Vista and Windows Is there a utility that can undo some of the changes that were made to the machine when UBUNTU was installed albeit unsuccessfully I have an HP PC running XP professional and I was wondering if I take the hard drive out from the COMPAQ and rig it to my HP via a SATA IDE to USB Adapter device would I be able to see the contents of that COMPAQ computer that had Vista and now UBUNTU We re just after the data files and not software programs Thanks for any links or advice

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/problem-with-a-failed-attempt-to-create-a-dual-boot-vista-ubuntu-computer-475135.html
Relevancy 104.92%

I recently installed Ubuntu on my HP Mini - NR deleted boot! Installed Ubuntu, Help! No the Ubuntu Partitions. then deleted the partitions that had Ubuntu on them not knowing that Ubuntu comes with GRUB and sets itself as the default boot for that system Now that GRUB is not installed since it was on my only HDD it looks for the GRUB partition which does not exist so I get an error on a command script that shows as follows Help! Installed Ubuntu, deleted the Ubuntu Partitions. No boot! quot GRUB -error no such partition quot grub rescue gt I still have Ubuntu on a flash drive And I have my sister's computer to use until I get mine fixed so I need help I downloaded the Win Recovery Disc but I don't have a program that can write the ISO image file to a USB flash Help! Installed Ubuntu, deleted the Ubuntu Partitions. No boot! drive so I need to know how to get the ISO on the USB Drive or how to fix the boot for Win I'm willing to do anything lol I've already done a couple hours worth of 'Google-ing' for how to fix this error and have come empty-handed Please help And if this information helps I have a Volume D with the recovery files on my hard drive

A:Help! Installed Ubuntu, deleted the Ubuntu Partitions. No boot!

USB Windows 7 Installation Key Drive - Create
YouTube - How to install Windows 7 from USB (WinToFlash)

First mark the WIn7 partition Active from the Repair CD command line: Partition - Mark as Active

Then click through to Recovery Tools list to run Startup Repair up to 3 separate times with reboots until WIn7 starts.

You may have to wipe the partition with GRUB first: Disk - Clean and Clean All with Diskpart Command

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/95280-help-installed-ubuntu-deleted-ubuntu-partitions-no-boot.html
Relevancy 101.48%

Hi,
I have 2 hard drives and want to install Ubuntu on the 2nd HD rather than the one where W7 is. This is mainly because the 1st HD is very full so I don't want to partition it, but my 2nd HD is half-empty.
Will it cause any problems if I install to the 2nd HD? Do I need to do anything to make sure the dual-boot will work?
Any help greatly appreciated.

thanks

A:Dual boot W7 & Ubuntu using 2 HDs

It will be fine.

What is the capacity of the 2nd hard disk, and how much is remaining un-used?

I would recommend you do your partition editing within Windows where your going to be most comfortable.

To do that, click start, and then type in the text box Disk Management and hit enter. It will then open up your physical drives. If your 2nd hard disk is one physical partition, select the partition and then right click the mouse, and select "Shrink Partition" Set the amount to shrink the partition, hit OK, and then leave it to re-size, not using the computer until its done.

Once its resized, select the black unallocated disk space you've just created, and right click and select "New simple partition", fill the boxes in and then click ok and it'll make it. At this point, note down the exact size of the partition (this will be your confirmation in Linux that you have the right disk).

Then reboot and run the installer. I highly recommend the step by step guide in my signature below this post. It will explain in detail all the steps needed, and will also aid you with the advanced partitioner, as this is going to be best to ensure you use the correct physical disk.

Once your in the Linux partitioner you can delete the new simple partition you made, and then use the free space to make your / (root) and SWAP partitions.

Some Important points!

1. Do not assume that the first disk in linux is your first hard disk (e.g. C in Windows.
2. Letters for drive names are not used in Linux. It will be refered to as sd (SATA Disk) a (the first, b is second, c third etc) 1 (partition number) = sda1
3. Linux requires at least a / partition to function. If you plan to keep using it long term I suggest you also alocate a /usr and /home partition, and SWAP space (the size of your RAM min of 2GB is fine - I have 4GB RAM 7,5GB SWAP which really isn't neccessary).
4. Install the bootloader to the hard disk with your Windows 7 on it. (not a partition, but the whole disk. It will do the rest for you.)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-boot-w7-ubuntu-using-2-hds.157528/
Relevancy 101.48%

I am using the non-metro Windows 10 boot loader to manage a dual boot setup (legacy BIOS) with Ubuntu. Generally, everything works fine. However, sometimes when I perform an update in Ubuntu, grub overwrites the Windows MBR. Then I have to use EasyBCD to restore the Windows boot loader.

How do I prevent grub overwriting the MBR?

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/55134-ubuntu-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 101.48%

Not sure if I should of posted this in a different local but I'll give this spot a try. So computer is cleaned, backed up and now I want to remove ubuntu from and the dual boot option, however it seems once again it takes me for a loop. I went into disk managment to check on size on the ubuntu part. Well, its not under disk managment, so I restarted the computer and it wouldn't start ubuntu up, instead it gave me almost a dos/command proumpt screen. So I'm taking a stab in the dark and going to stay that ubuntu most not of been remove correctly. Is there a way to finish removing it? If an image is needed I might be able to take one with my ipod and upload it.

A:Xp dual boot ubuntu

Well from what I can find online I guess its telling me to just go in and edit the boot menu file.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/588176/xp-dual-boot-ubuntu/
Relevancy 101.48%

Hey I was able to set up my system with both Windows XP and UBuntu I have partitioned my hard and XP Ubuntu Dual Boot: drive into segments One for windows in ntfs one for ubuntu in ext a swap partition which ubuntu requires and another partition in fat to swap files back Dual Boot: XP and Ubuntu and forth between windows and ubuntu I had the systems working fine and then i screwed it Dual Boot: XP and Ubuntu up When the system would boot it would give me a command prompt asking which system i would like to load I could choose from Ubuntu or windows If i were to choose windows it would go to another prompt asking to use windows or an unrecognized operating system I was trying to get rid of this second step as it seemed useless So when i orignally booted the system the first prompt would ask for both systems there was a line saying you can edit the controls of these boots and so i checked it out to see if i could get rid of the second command prompt screen I ended up deleting one of them stupid me and now i can only start up ubuntu If i try and boot windows xp it says there are missing commands Any ideas how it could be possible to get those things i deleted back without having to reinstall both windows and ubuntu And if you know how to get rid of the second command prompt but thats not neccesary i can deal with that Thanks a lot nbsp

A:Dual Boot: XP and Ubuntu

Hey just to add to the post when i try and boot xp from the command prompt it says NTLDR is missing and then goes back to the orginal boot screen.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-boot-xp-and-ubuntu.94003/
Relevancy 101.48%

I have a fresh install of XP and want to Dual boot Ubuntu 7.10 (linux) and XP. I have the Live cd, I have had some experience with this before but always run into problems. I am willing to manual partition on the live cd during install as long as its explained to me how to not screw it up. My main issues before were linux booted fine, but windows just said starting... and nothing ever happened. Assuming I wrote over the MBR and screwed everything up. Need some write ups or something.

-Jc

A:I want to dual boot Ubuntu 7.10 and XP.

Let google be your friend.

Here, i found this (don't know about it myself)

Dual boot XP and Ubuntu 7.10 via boot.ini

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-want-to-dual-boot-ubuntu-7-10-and-xp.100088/
Relevancy 101.48%

Hi !
This is the disk management screenshot. In disk 0 Partition C, Win 7 is installed. In Disk 1 partition D, there was Win XP, but I formatted is as primary to install Ubuntu there as dual boot. Practically I know almost nothing about Linux installation. When I am trying to install it, I am not able to find out which one is the D drive.

I tried the Gparted option there, but it seemed to me a puzzle .

Can anybody please help me?

A:Want to dual boot Ubuntu with Win 7

Welcome!

The D partition should be the first partition on the second hard drive. It is also the smaller of the approx 58GB partitions.

The Ubuntu setup should show the different hard drives.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/62390-want-dual-boot-ubuntu-win-7-a.html
Relevancy 101.48%

I have Vista Home Premium -bit on Dell Inspiron I want to have a go at installing a dual-boot Ubuntu Why quot Because it's there quot I've experimented with Wubi which is dual-boot Ubuntu but does not need it's own partition This allows a painless evaluation of Ubuntu Clever idea I would be most grateful if anyone could recommend some do's and don'ts BTW I have complete Genie backups of my system files and data files I intend to follow the instructions at the following two links The Dual-boot Ubuntu definitive dual-booting guide Windows Linux Vista and XP step-by-step Ubuntu Dual-boot Ubuntu Intrepid - My overall impression is that the commonest problem is that users can no longer boot to Vista after installing Ubuntu IMHO users get problems if they do the following Shrink the current Vista partition Create a new partition in the free space to be used eventually for Ubuntu It's step that seems to cause the problem Alternative advice such as in the two links that I quoted above say that you should do nothing with the free space You should allow Ubuntu to do everything itself I would be grateful for any comments

A:Dual-boot Ubuntu

I already tried out SUN's Virtual Box here and no go for simply trying to get older versions of Windows running with that as one item seen in the article there. For seeing the Vista primary reduced in size not more then 15gb to 20gb since ubuntu is small to begin with for a Linux distro the free Gnome Partition Editor generall known as GParted live for cd is the choice tool for both shrinking the Vista primary down and creating the new VFat ext2 or ext 3 primary(root) for ubuntu.

The option for a second extended swap partition is just that an option while not being a necessity due to Linux having it's own form of swap file. The one thing however to watch out for is not seeing the installation of Grub into the Vista mbr to avoid Grub 14 and 22 errors but making the root the "/" mount point.

From there you can add the ubuntu entry into the Vista BCD with the NeoGrub option seen in the free EasyBCD tool available at Download EasyBCD 1.7.2 - NeoSmart Technologies

The instructions plus other references for that are seen at Dashboard - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

When first running the ubuntu installer make sure to select the manual method and select the root partition. Later hightlight that and click the edit button to assign that as the "/"" mount point so you don't see the installer decide to reformat and partition the entire drive for Linux only! You want to see the root set as mount in order to have the NeoGrub pointed to that in order to see ubuntu load as an option when Vista first starts.

http://www.vistax64.com/software/226521-dual-boot-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 101.48%

Hi,
I'm having a big problem. I used to have Windows XP installed, and Ubuntu on another partition. Since I installed Windows 7 (Over the Windows XP installation) the GRUB Loader is gone. Now I don't need Ubuntu, and I was wondering if I could delete the Unbuntu Partition using Disk Management in Windows 7 without having problems during booting to Windows.
I know the biggest problem after deleting Ubuntu is the absence of GRUB loader, which then causes Windows 7 not to boot properly. However, since GRUB loader has been overwritten during the Windows 7 installation, is it safe to just delete the Ubuntu Partition and extend the Windows 7 one?

I really want to make sure that after deleting Ubuntu, my PC will boot to Windows 7. I also have lost the Windows 7 repair disk...

Relevancy 101.48%

So I have this lenovo ideacentre B540 All-in-one that originally came with Windows 7. The customer bought it at best buy and it came with a free upgrade to Windows 8 when it came out. So the customer was using it with Windows 8 until he got some FBI porn virus on there. I was hired to reload windows 8 and have it dual boot with ubuntu. I put the windows 8 disc in, format the 1TB drive and leave about 200GB for ubuntu. windows 8 is setup and done.
i can no longer get this thing to do anything other than boot windows 8. cant get into BIOS, cant get a boot menu, can't boot from CD/DVD or USB through the windows 8 restart menu thing. what an abomination. any help?

A:dual boot with ubuntu

Welcome to EightForums.

As you are talking Lenovo.

BIOS setup menu is missing in my G580 after instal... - Lenovo Community

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/15376-dual-boot-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 101.48%

Good evening all I wasn t quite sure which forum this should go in W7 - Dual Ubuntu Boot & so Dual Boot - W7 & Ubuntu I apologize if this belongs elsewhere I primarily run Windows on my GB HD but had an old GB HD lying around so I decided to try Ubuntu I m very Dual Boot - W7 & Ubuntu new to Linux I know very little about it and I also know very little about dual booting I have W plugged into SATA and Ubuntu plugged into SATA When I turn my computer on it was launching automatically to Ubuntu until I changed the boot priorities in BIOS to launch the W HD When powering the PC on I d like to be prompted to choose which OS to launch How can I go about doing this I consider myself very proficient with Google but I cannot find any helpful information Well maybe I should say I can t find any helpful information that I understand I may have very well likely passed over a topic that is just using words that I don t understand and assumed that it wasn t what I needed I ve checked MSCONFIG but it only shows my primary drive with W which I kind of expected Any other advice

A:Dual Boot - W7 & Ubuntu

You want to be able to choose which OS to boot from Windows 7 boot menu.Adding a boot entry for Ubuntu is simple.1. Download and install 'ext2fs' - this will give you access to Linux partitions (Ubuntu) from Windows.2. Copy the file "/boot/grub/boot.img" from Ubuntu to Windows 7 "\boot" partition.3. Create a boot sector loader. Give it as parameter the file \boot\boot.imgFor 3.) you can use Visual BCD Editor - right click for pop-up menu -> Create boot-sector loader. Adjust drive and path to point to drive and path of "\boot\boot.img" editing ApplicationDevice and ApplicationPath.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/423275/dual-boot-w7-ubuntu/
Relevancy 100.62%

How come the thread has been marked solved?

There are several videos on youtube explaining how, here is just one:

How to Install Ubuntu 12.04 to Dual boot alongside Windows 8 - YouTube

A:How to dual boot windows 8 and ubuntu 12.04 LTS?

Someone was having trouble with this in another sub-board, I'll copy that video link over to them.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/32750-how-dual-boot-windows-8-ubuntu-12-04-lts.html
Relevancy 100.62%

I had Ubuntu installed on an external HDD, but back when I had XP, I formatted it for general storage. Now I'm running Seven and I have no idea how to remove the Ubuntu option from my Dual Boot menu. Please help...

A:Old Ubuntu dual boot problem

Is this a linux bootloader or the Windows bootloader that's currently active?

edit: try this: http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/52372-old-ubuntu-dual-boot-problem.html
Relevancy 100.62%
A:Dual boot Windows 10 and Ubuntu 16.04?

Once I had Windows 10 RTM dual booting with Linux 17.2. No issue whatsoever.

Here is a tutorial on dual booting Win 10 and Ubuntu 15.04
http://www.linuxandubuntu.com/home/d...th-screenshots

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/46847-dual-boot-windows-10-ubuntu-16-04-a.html
Relevancy 100.62%

hi
i have installed windows 7 then ubuntu alongside it
everytime i start the pc up, there is a screen to choose the OS, that's OK
i think the boot partition is ubuntu
once i removed ubuntu completely from the device and i was unable to boot windows, not even after trying to repair Windows via its DVD, until i installed ubuntu again and did it

i want a way now to remove ubuntu and stay on Windows only, but i can't get it booted up, can anyone help me please???

Note: i removed Ubuntu via windows, right-click on my computer and manage, then formatted its partition

thanks in advance

A:Dual-boot, remove Ubuntu

Mark the Win7 Partition Active.

Then run Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times to write or repair the System boot files to the Win7 partition and overwrite GRUB boot loader.

Be aware however that GRUB can cause Win7 to become irreparable when on the same HD.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/245770-dual-boot-remove-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 100.62%

Hi,

I have a dual boot system with Win 7 home and Ubuntu 12.10 on a samsung SSD. I want to uninstall ubuntu as I don't use it and want that space for Win 7. I am able to use disk manager to delete and resize partitions.

I've done some research and know that I need to fix the MBR, and to do this before I go about deleting partitions.

I have used the win 7 disk to try and repair my system with the plan to use
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /fixmbr

The problem that I have is that the repair disk will not recognise C:/ as it is on an SSD. I have an option to load drivers when running the repair disk, but I don't know what driver I need or where I can get it - any signposting would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Will

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/uninstall-ubuntu-from-a-dual-boot-pc.196275/
Relevancy 100.62%

Ok so what i have is Windows 7 RC installed to my hard drive. I have a seperate partition which i would like to install Ubuntu on. Granted i could just go ahead and straight install but then i would be using the Grub bootloader and i don't want to.

What is my best option? That NeoGrub thing?

A:Windows 7 and Ubuntu Dual Boot

Don't forget that *nix uses more than one partition. It's been a real long time since I installed and used any version, but I think by default it uses one each for boot, system and paging. So you may want to consider that.

A possible way to do what you want might be to install Ubuntu, then boot to Windows 7 using Grub. Then use EasyBCD manage bootloader tab to reinstall the Vista bootlader.

I never tried to use that before, so if it doesn't work out, don't blame me. Get a second opinion about this, first.

Good luck. Final thought: I'd probably use an entirely different physical drive to install Ubuntu to, while the 7 drive was unplugged. Then you could just add Ubuntu to 7 bootloader later on.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/10599-windows-7-ubuntu-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 100.62%

Forum admin please bump this if you feel it is in the wrong local grin I recently tried loading Ubuntu onto a separate drive on boot 7 dual and Windows Ubuntu my computer All went well except for the boot process Upon booting I no longer was brought to the normal dual boot screen instead I now got what I beleive to be the Linux boot screen From here I was able to still load windows with a few more steps What didn't like was the Windows 7 and Ubuntu dual boot thought that Ubuntu took over I did some research and figured I should reinstall it I went to the Windows partition and formatted the section that had Ubuntu on it Much to my surprise Ubuntu loaded itself on the same HDD as Windows Windows 7 and Ubuntu dual boot I formatted the section holding Ubuntu and restarted the system to this problem grub loading error unknown filesystem grub rescue So here I' stuck The only ability I have is to get into bios and change my boot devive I need help retrieving Windows Thank you Tom

A:Windows 7 and Ubuntu dual boot

Hi Tom

Do you have a windows 7 repair disk? If you do, then boot from the disk (by using your computer Bios). Once the disk has loaded you can do a system restore as it restores your computer to an earlier point in time before your computer crashed.

A similar problem happened to my computer (with Linux Mint) and I used that method to restore windows 7.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/75536-windows-7-ubuntu-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 100.62%

I Dual Win Ubuntu 7 borked. boot 12.04 / am a new member of this forum and a Windows user for the first time in ten years Win Dual boot Win 7 / Ubuntu 12.04 borked. K I have been running my Windows install for two weeks on my home built desktop box When I originally installed Win I erased my Linux system and let the Windows installer choose which of my two internal drives to install on The install went fine but after two weeks I started missing Linux Yesterday I installed the latest version of Ubuntu This formats the drive in Linux dev sda - I don't know what that would be in Windows and installs the Linux Grub boot loader However Grub is unable to find a Win installation that it can add to the boot loader I assume that either the Win boot loader files were deleted or the quot secret quot partition was erased or both I have a post here that has been trying to address the problem mainly from the Linux side but as can be seen I also refer to what I have done to try to repair the Win boot loader The problem is that I have basically been asking Linux users to help me with a Win problem Anyone out there that can help me sort this out so that I can use both Linux and Windows

A:Dual boot Win 7 / Ubuntu 12.04 borked.

Hi,

Download and use the free version of EasyBCD to add the Ubuntu entry so it chainloads from the Windows bootloader. Refer to this guide:

http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Ubuntu

Regards,
Golden

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/251460-dual-boot-win-7-ubuntu-12-04-borked.html
Relevancy 100.62%

Hi,

I have my Windows 8 installed in my C drive and it is the only OS I have as of now. I want to install Ubuntu 12.04 alongside Windows 8. But I have read so many negative things with regards to problems in booting after installing Ubuntu alongside Windows 8.

My Win 8 is installed in UEFI mode.

I am posting a screenshot of disk management
Will installing Ubuntu 12.04 cause any problems in booting?

A:How to dual boot Ubuntu 12.04 and Windows 8?

1) Windows 8 is not install in UEFI mode.

2) I would wait until the end of April to install Ubuntu, as version 13 will be out, which should work better with Windows 8.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/23445-how-dual-boot-ubuntu-12-04-windows-8-a.html
Relevancy 100.62%

Hi everyone,

I used to have Windows 7 on my laptop, then it started having random problems. So I installed Ubuntu and then installed Windows 7 clean again on another partition. Problem is, whenever it booted I just saw a screen with only a flashing underscore and nothing happening.

So I reinstalled windows 7, installed Grub, ran grub-update command. Grub boots fine, its menu shows Ubuntu and Windows 7 choices correctly.
Ubuntu works fine, but Windows still only shows this useless flashing underscore. <-- did this several times to be sure.

Any ideas ?

A:Dual boot W7/Ubuntu question

Not a direct answer to your question. But have you tried VirtualBox, it's free, and its like VMWare. So you can run Ubuntu within Windows.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dual-boot-w7-ubuntu-question.973470/
Relevancy 100.62%

So I currently run Ubuntu as the sole OS on my Laptop Using a G-Parted live CD I partitioned half of my disk space the one half dedicated to running Ubuntu and the other half to Windows I downloaded a torrent of Windows one that I have used before with success so one that I trust and burned it to a DVD-RW at the slowest burning speed possible I booted Windows through the DVD and began to do a clean install of Windows on this one Partition that I left completely empty for the new OS Everything runs smoothly and I go through the set-up until suddenly the installation hangs at when 'Expanding Windows Files' I have exhausted pretty much all the possibilities of what could be going wrong to Windows Dual-Boot Trying to Ubuntu and 7 my knowledge - saying that however my knowledge isn't very Trying to Dual-Boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu extensive at all Could someone possible share some info on what I could be doing wrong I'm desperate to get Windows up and running on this computer so I can begin playing some games that are otherwise impossible or incredibly difficult to get working on Ubuntu notably as an avid player of the Football Manager series the upcoming release of FM If anyone can offer some sort of help fix I'll be extremely grateful Like seriously

A:Trying to Dual-Boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu

The best two ways of running Linux with Wondows on one Hd drive.
Dual Boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu
Linux - Install on Windows 7 Virtual Machine using VirtualBox

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/184474-trying-dual-boot-windows-7-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 100.62%

Hp envy 6 sleekbook 6z 1100 I have already disable the secure boot in the BIOS But I still cannot install the ubuntu 13.04 The installation was good and smooth But after reboot, there is no boot menu appear for me to choose which OS I want to boot I wonder if HP locked something......... or should I turn on Legacy support in the BIOS? But ubuntu 13.04 should support EFL BIOS I need Ubuntu for work!

Solved!
View Solution.

A:How to dual boot ubuntu and windows 8?

Hi, The following tutorials will help:   http://apcmag.com/how-to-dual-boot-windows-8-and-linux.htm  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNCSbTyUzoM Regards.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/How-to-dual-boot-ubuntu-and-windows-8/td-p/2625383
Relevancy 100.62%

I want to use Windows 8 Pro and Ubuntu 13.04 on a single machine.How do I achieve this in a stable manner?
I want to use Ubuntu as a backup OS if Windows 8 ever crashes.Kindly suggest the best possible and optimum solution with detailed steps.

A:Need to dual boot Windows 8 Pro and Ubuntu

Hi,
A very clear step by step guide here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

Hope this helps.

Richard

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-to-dual-boot-windows-8-pro-and-ubuntu.1107731/
Relevancy 100.62%

Hi! i am trying to get an old Panasonic toughbook (2 GB RAM ) going with a dual boot of the latest Ubuntu and windows 7 ... how exactly would i go about doing this on a completly blank new hardrive , thanks!!!

A:Ubuntu and Windows 7 dual boot ?

Dual Boot - Windows 7 and Linux

Where to install ubuntu in my system?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/344071-ubuntu-windows-7-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 100.62%

Hey guys,

I am looking to dual boot 7 and Ubuntu 9.10 and need some assistance. I installed 7 first on one drive and Ubuntu later on a completely separate drive. Here are my current dilemmas:

1) I do not get the option to choose the OS I boot to.
2) When Linux boots it goes to black screen and stops.

I have done some reading and saw that there is a possibility that my GPU could be the cause of the black screen due to a lack of drivers or compatibility. I also think I need to do some configuring within Ubuntu to fix my boot order. I have only read about people configuring two partitions not two different drives but I don't think it should be an issue. My system specs are noted below. Again, Ubuntu is on separate 80GB SATA drive.

Thank you in advance.

A:Dual Boot Win7 and Ubuntu 9.10

Are you wanting Win 7 to be the primary boot device, or Ubuntu and use Grub for the boots?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/68163-dual-boot-win7-ubuntu-9-10-a.html
Relevancy 100.62%

Hello all This is my first post although I've been going with boot? xp/ubuntu dual Run safely to the site for years My question is about whether I can safely continue to use xp for applications and just use linux for internet usage Specifically if I install Ubuntu as dual boot can I disable XP internet access I replaced xp on my computer with Ubuntu and I'm fine with it But I got my wife to sit down with it and I don't think she's going to be able to handle it for anything except internet browsing So I need to know if I can just disable xp for internet access and will it be safe for her Run xp/ubuntu safely with dual boot? to be online just Run xp/ubuntu safely with dual boot? in linux or is there a chance that she can Run xp/ubuntu safely with dual boot? pick up viruses or malware even though xp is disabled If this is a plausible solution aside from replacing xp with win or which I can't afford to do right now how do I go about disabling xp Thanks Jim

A:Run xp/ubuntu safely with dual boot?

If you have Ubuntu and Windows XP set up on your system in a dual-boot configuration, you should be able to simply disable the network access for the Windows XP system like you normally could before when there was only Windows XP on the computer.  In a dual-boot configuration, the operating systems are completely autonomous.  As far as I can see, if the Windows system is not connected to the internet, there should be no problems with worrying about getting an infection.  In essence, if a computer is not connected to the internet, it really just turns into a storage medium that can run software and the ways it can get infected are dropped down to an infected USB or other manual way of transferring an infection.

Hope this helps and if anyone has anything to add or correct, please do so.  

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/528480/run-xpubuntu-safely-with-dual-boot/
Relevancy 100.62%

My original OS is XP, I finally installed Ubuntu on its own partition.
Ubuntu looks fine on a few trials, except that:
1. Documents saved in Ubuntu cannot be opened by XP, although all my documents from XP can be opened by Ubuntu. That limits my continuation of Ubuntu- If there are reasonable solutions available I have not yet found them. Help anyone?

2. Yes, I play games. Right now, Freecell. Using XP, I am at 4430, going up serially. (I have no solution for 1941). Ubuntu did not allow me to choose a number of my choosing. This limitation may apply to other items.

3. I must have XP as a dual boot, since I cooperate with my grandson, and my other younger grandchildren use my computer when they -often-come around.

4. What are the differences between Ubuntu, Kubuntu, etc. As a long-time Windows user, I like the GUI system, though I use the command when necessary. Preferences anyone?
Thanks
ezrab

A:Ubuntu XP dual boot comparison & changes

ezrab said:

4. What are the differences between Ubuntu, Kubuntu, etc.Click to expand...

"Kubuntu" has what is called a "KDE" desktop, "Ubuntu" is a Gnome desktop.
Just a matter of style and personal taste. Ubuntu is the more popular of the two. If you'd like to try a KDE desktop, you would be better off installing "OpenSUSE"
http://en.opensuse.org/Welcome_to_openSUSE.org

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ubuntu-xp-dual-boot-comparison-changes.125918/
Relevancy 100.62%

I have Ubuntu 9.04 installed on a laptop already and I wanna dual boot with Windows 7 RC1. How do I?

A:Dual Boot - Ubuntu Already Installed

First you need to partition the hdd .I recomend using Acronis Disk Director Suite v10. http://www.acronis.com/promo/choose...rector suite&gclid=CLuLq7K3-poCFRKLxwodrB3leQ

Boot from the win7 cd and follow the instrutions.

After that format the new partition that you plan to install windows 7 on.You need to format it to NTFS.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dual-boot-ubuntu-already-installed.833152/
Relevancy 100.62%

Hi I have been researching installing Ubuntu alongside Win on my boot and windows ubuntu 8 dual daughters laptop I dual boot windows 8 and ubuntu already boot Ubuntu amp Win on my desktop pc but I have read some horror stories about installing Ubuntu with Win mostly in regard to the uefi boot system in dual boot windows 8 and ubuntu Win as well as its a laptop as opposed to desktop I have been told that i must enter the bios first and disable secure boot Most of the tutorials I have read are dual boot windows 8 and ubuntu very complex Then i read a tutorial from this website dated that appeared to be simple and similar to my own Ubuntu Win installation however it was dated Dual Boot Windows And Ubuntu Posted November pm in Windows Guides The only difference with my intended installation is that I will use a dvd as my Pc does not have a USB Boot option Please can anyone confirm that this Tutorial is valid and perhaps explain why so many other tutorials require BCD disable secure boot plus many other things outside the scope of my experience I would be most grateful I have even read that a mobo was destroyed by an incorrect installation and as this is my daughter's laptop i really dont want to have to buy her a new one Thanks

A:dual boot windows 8 and ubuntu

Samsung Laptops Bricked by Booting Linux Using UEFI

How to dual boot with Ubuntu & Windows 8, with Secure Boot ENABLED.
Practical UEFI Secure Boot (Part 3 of 3) - YouTube

To Downgrade to MS Windows 7or install with these BIOS settings:

Fujitsu Manual:
Secure Boot 2.zip

Originally Posted by Fujitsu

Advanced  Boot Configurations  Fast Boot : [Disabled]
Advanced  Boot Configurations  CSM : [Enabled]
Security  Secure Boot Configuration  Secure Boot Option : [Disabled]
To change these settings it is necessary that a Supervisor Password is set.

1) Set CSM to UEFI & Legacy.

2) For Noteboks, you will need to set a Password.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/30262-dual-boot-windows-8-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 100.62%

Hi everyone,
I have a Windows 7 OS installed on a SATA drive, A few days ago I installed Ubuntu 10.10 on an IDE drive. So far the only way is to switch the HDD drives in BIOS to boot up the one I want. Can anyone help me here.

A:Windows 7 and Ubuntu dual-boot

do you want to dual boot them off the same hard drive?
I do the same swapping thing for 7 and Vista, but I have to take the side off the case and switch the cables as my bios doesn't support multiple hard drives

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/157419-windows-7-ubuntu-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 100.62%

Hello all First off if this is in the wrong 7 dual boot? Windows Ubuntu and forum I apologize OK what I am trying to do here is have my computer dual boot Windows and Ubuntu I have Windows installed on my original hard disk I bought a second hard disk last week and installed Ubuntu on it I am trying to get my computer to be able to boot both of Windows 7 and Ubuntu dual boot? them I want to have the Windows hdd be the primary boot with the Ubuntu hdd be the option To get the Windows hdd to work I have to completely remove the Ubuntu hdd If the Ubuntu Windows 7 and Ubuntu dual boot? hdd is installed the Windows hdd will not boot The computer will start up and - seconds later it will restart and freeze at the quot Starting Windows quot screen If I put the Ubuntu hdd in the main slot and the Windows hdd in the secondary it will start right up and recognize that the Windows hdd is installed I think that this is because Windows wants to be the only OS and doesn't recognize others How do I change this so that both Windows 7 and Ubuntu dual boot? hdds are bootable without physically removing one I have looked on both UbuntuForums Windows website and here and have found nothing that helps

A:Windows 7 and Ubuntu dual boot?

Was the Windows hard drive connected when you installed Ubuntu?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/67154-windows-7-ubuntu-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 100.62%

i have dual boot windows 7 with ubuntu, but after that ubuntu run well but it is not displaying any drive. then i restart windows,
it shows 5 boot option 2 of ubuntu, 2 of memtest, and 1 of windows 7 loader(on\devsda2\) something. when i click on it
it shows 2 option:
1. launch startup repair
2. start window normally
when i click on " start window normally" it restart after displaying a blue screen for 1 second.
launch startup repair is also not working.

then i finally decided to start a fresh copy of windows 7, but on partition manager it shows no drive when i boot it from windows 7 DVD.

help me to correct this problem without any data loss.

A:7 is not working after dual boot with ubuntu

Hello vikrantsjs.

The first thing to do would be to make backups of the data you need to save to external media using the method out-lined in this tutorial at the link below, it works very well, I've used it myself.

Copy & Paste - in Windows Recovery Console

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/122763-7-not-working-after-dual-boot-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 100.62%

A few days ago I could not access my Windows XP because of this error quot Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt Windows System Config System quot I was still able to access Ubuntu through the Dual boot startup menu I accessed the Internet using Ubuntu to ask for help fourms I tried all the suggestions for Recovery Repair using my Windows XP installation disk and it appeared to have fixed my problem but now it is asking me for my Administrator Password I used or entered my Admin Password yet it won t let me in When I ask for help on the Internet with boot, Dual Windows/Ubuntu that everyone thinks I am trying to break in to someone else s computer and I get no responses or negative Dual boot, Windows/Ubuntu responses It seems that I may have to do a clean Install of my Windows XP My concern now is if the Dual Boot menu that directs me to either OS will be wiped out when I do a clean install of Windows XP BTW Windows XP is solely on the C Drive and Ubuntu is on the D Drive Each drive is Dual boot, Windows/Ubuntu GB Any final suggestions before I do the clean install As you can see I am very hesitant in doing this One final note I was able to access some important files from my C Drive through Ubuntu and save them on my Flash Drive Thanks nbsp

A:Dual boot, Windows/Ubuntu

dual boot

After two days I finally solved my problem. No thanks to anyone on this forum.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-boot-windows-ubuntu.115109/
Relevancy 100.62%

how to dual boot windows 10 and ubuntu 15.04 easily i have had issues with the partitions anybody got any ideas

A:how to dual boot windows 10 and ubuntu

Hi pc helper 123456789,
I found a blog discussing about tip for dual-booting Windows 10 preview and Linux on a PC with UEFI firmware. It may be useful.
Tip for dual-booting Windows 10 preview and Linux on a PC with UEFI firmware
http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2015/01/18/tip-for-dual-booting-windows-10-preview-and-linux-on-a-pc-with-uefi-firmware/
As ZigZag indicated, we also could try to run the ubuntu in the Hyper-V if we want to use the two systems in a machine.
NOTE: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites.
Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact [email protected]

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/3bd904e4-d917-400e-934d-9f461c733b23/how-to-dual-boot-windows-10-and-ubuntu?forum=w8itprogeneral
Relevancy 100.62%

I Have Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and just installed linux ubuntu 9.10 as a dual boot option. After playing around with it I realized I don't want it as a full os yet. Video problems, sound issues, flash player issues. How would I remove it from a dual boot option and set the space back to windows?

A:Removing Ubuntu 9.10 from Dual Boot

One way is to right click on my computer, click on the manage option. There you can delete the section of hard drive that was allocated to the Ubuntu installation and then expand the Windows 7 drive to take up the empty space left behind.

Also you can remove it from your boot options by following this simple tutorial.

BCDEDIT - How to Use

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/38738-removing-ubuntu-9-10-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 100.62%

My Windows/Ubuntu of Dual Getting Rid Boot PC has two hard drives The first hard drive is running Windows XP Professional sp and the second hard drive has Ubuntu Linux in a dual boot Getting Rid of Windows/Ubuntu Dual Boot configuration This means that I have something called Grub which causes a menu to come up so that I can select which of Getting Rid of Windows/Ubuntu Dual Boot the two OS s I want to load The default is Windows XP Professional I recently got interested in running Microsoft Virtual PC and would like to set it up to run Ubuntu Linux That way I don t have to worry about dual-booting anymore and I can gain access to my GB second hard drive from within Windows XP I did a little research on how to uninstall Ubuntu without harming Windows XP But the problem I am running into is that there seems to be two ways of doing it Go into the Win XP Recovery Console and run FIXMBR after which the Grub boot menu will go away and I can format my second hard drive Or Go into the Win XP Recovery Console and run FIXBOOT then FIXMBR after which the Grub boot menu will go away and I can format my second hard drive So which is it FIXMBR only Or FIXBOOT first then FIXMBR Any help would be greatly appreciated RamFel

A:Getting Rid of Windows/Ubuntu Dual Boot

I'm nearly positive it doesn't matter. As long as you uninstall Ubuntu first.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/getting-rid-of-windows-ubuntu-dual-boot-340327.html
Relevancy 100.62%

I had previously had Vista 32 installed on my pc. I partitioned the hard drive, and installed Ubuntu 8.04 on the second partition. After that, Ubuntu became my default OS, and would boot in 10 seconds, unless I chose otherwise. Everything worked fine, with no help from me.

Yesterday I reinstalled Vista on the main partition, but didn't touch the others. Since then, there is no boot OS option, it automatically loads Vista. I can't figure out how to access Ubuntu even temporarily, let alone change my boot preferences to allow me a choice at startup.

Help is much appreciated
Chris

A:Dual Booting Vista and Ubuntu

You might try right-clicking on 'my computer' and selecting 'manage'. From there, go to disk management. Look at your hard drive and see if it is still partitioned. Vista might have copied over it. And, I found some info from the Ubuntu forum:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=224351

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/dual-booting-vista-and-ubuntu-366927.html
Relevancy 100.62%

I want to intall XP on my computer that already installed with Vista and UBuntu. How can it be done ?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/dual-os-xp-on-installed-vista-and-ubuntu-285595.html
Relevancy 99.33%

Hi I have a small query about this whole partitioning business I'm trying to set up a partition so I can dual-boot Windows and Ubuntu My computer came with a Dell Recovery partition and an OEM partition as well as the main C drive which are all primaries I've created a new logical drive which I've called Z with the idea being to install the Linux OS in that Ubuntu to dual-boot 7 a partition Windows up and Set chunk of the drive My first question First up I've formatted it as quot exFAT quot - is this the same as FAT Next question can I divide this 'Z' into smaller chunks with different formats or do they all have to be the same format I was hoping to be able to format a small bit of the drive into a Linux filesystem so that both OSs can be kept entirely separate from each other but leave the bulk of it as FAT so that I can see my files with both Set up a partition to dual-boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu OSs If this is not possible what would be the best way to achieve the desired result Thanks for any help McG

A:Set up a partition to dual-boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu

Hi McG, welcome to the forums.
I can't really answer your questions about Ubuntu, but I recommend you start by checking this thread at the Ubuntu forum. I would save it since you might come into those problems when trying to install Ubuntu in your disc.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/45429-set-up-partition-dual-boot-windows-7-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 99.33%

I have two hard drives and one is 15 gb and I have 14gb left, how would I install Ubuntu onto that drive, and then, if I install it right. How would I boot to it?

A:Wanting to dual-boot Windows XP and Ubuntu

boot from ur ubuntu cd and watch the magic.. i think it uses disk druid (maybe that was fedora) to patition the hard dive. once installed linux's GRUB becomes ur boot manager and u can make it do whatever u want

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wanting-to-dual-boot-windows-xp-and-ubuntu.118934/
Relevancy 99.33%

Ok so I am running two operating systems at the moment Windows Ultimate x and Ubuntu Linux I have them both in my dual boot menu but I have a question as to how to organize them I recently visited this thread Dual-Boot Windows -bit and -bit and they were basically 7/Ubuntu 9.10 Windows Question Boot Dual explaining how to set your default boot OS to Windows Well I kinda have the same problem except for Windows 7/Ubuntu 9.10 Dual Boot Question when I follow the instructions on that thread I get to the part where it tells you how to set it to default but the only OS that shows up is Windows It does not show any sign of Ubuntu whatsoever Is it because I have to have a WINDOWS OS or what But I would like to organize my boot menu to where it highlights Windows as the first boot option rather than Ubuntu because I want Windows to be the first OS on the list Any help on how to make that happen if possible Thanks for the great support -Brandon

A:Windows 7/Ubuntu 9.10 Dual Boot Question

Would you want to do it using the command line options, or download EasyBCD?

For now, open an administrative command prompt and type:
bcdedit

This will show you what the boot store looks like. Type bcdedit /? and you can see some of the commands to use to manipulate the store. Probably the first thing you might want to do in make a backup copy of the store

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/50104-windows-7-ubuntu-9-10-dual-boot-question.html
Relevancy 99.33%

Hi,

I wanna install Ubuntu (dual boot) alongside Windows. Is it as simple as just booting from the Live CD, selecting install Ubuntu, making a partition from the hard drive and installing? Is that it? After Ubuntu get's installed, when I boot up the computer, will it give me the option to boot from Windows or Ubuntu?

Slasher

A:Run Ubuntu 11 as dual boot alongside Windows

Hello.

Yes that's the way but using separate HDDs to boot them separately would save you a bunch of head-aches later.

How to Dual Boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/165485-run-ubuntu-11-dual-boot-alongside-windows.html
Relevancy 99.33%

I currently with boot over XP's install Clean dual Ubuntu have versions of XP installed along with Ubuntu Meerkat My main version of XP Home is installed on my main hard drive partition C My secondary XP Home is installed on a nd Hard drive partition G Ubuntu is installed on a separate partition on my nd hard drive Drive H hidden from Windows The current bootup takes me first to Ubuntu's boot selection with one being Windows Selecting Windows then takes me to Windows boot which contains selections for each of my XP installs I would like to co a clean install of Windows over my nd copy of XP Home on partition G where I would be able to select it on the dual boot AFTER selecting the Windows bootup from the Ubuntu boot screen as I currently do After selecting the Windows selection from the Ubunbu boot screen the Windows boot screen should then have my main XP and Windows selections If I install Windows clean install Custom and then select partition G to install it on overlaying my nd XP will this leave the current Ubuntu boot screen as is and change Clean install over dual boot XP's with Ubuntu my nd XP boot item to Windows

A:Clean install over dual boot XP's with Ubuntu

No, all your OS installs will be messed up.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/172245-clean-install-over-dual-boot-xps-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 99.33%

I'm unable to use Headphones in Windows 8 but I can use it in ubuntu. This problem started after dual booting.

A:Can't use Headphones in Windows 8( dual boot with ubuntu)

Are speaker sounds working normally in Windows 8?Always pop back and let us know the outcome - thanks

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-8/cant-use-headphones-in-windows-8-dual-boot-with-ubuntu/2123.html
Relevancy 99.33%

i tried to install ubuntu on an external hard drive and during instilation somehow the grub bootloader got installed on my internal hard drive. i cant seem to find any way to remove it. Im a total noob and im trying to find a solution for my problem. heres what im talking about

A:ubuntu dual boot removal. I need some assistance.

This seems to be quite a common issue... better to ask in Ubuntu forum...

Either way look here...grub2 - Uninstalling GRUB from UEFI laptop - Ask Ubuntu

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/52087-ubuntu-dual-boot-removal-i-need-some-assistance.html
Relevancy 99.33%

Hello I had windows installed on a disk sda and decided to install ubuntu in another disk sdb Ubuntu installed Grub boot loader in sdb ubuntu with dual boot Hibernate 7 in windows and both Hibernate windows 7 in dual boot with ubuntu systems seem to work fine Except windows hibernation which worked Hibernate windows 7 in dual boot with ubuntu normally before the Ubuntu installation What happens is this If I set the BIOS to startup from disk sdb GRUB comes out When I select windows and try to hibernate the screen goes black and after a couple of seconds the log in screen appears So I can not hibernate windows when I use GRUB By the way ubuntu hibernates normally If I set the BIOS to startup from disk sda windows load without GRUB of course and hibernate actually works But when I turn on the pc windows resuming is the only option I can not activate the bbs popup and even if I set bios to boot from the other disk sdb the system seems to ignore me and resumes windows without displaying GRUB loader So I can either hibernate windows but have to resume before I can use ubuntu or start windows using grub and not have the option to hibernate From the above I get that windows have a way of controlling the system's BIOS and prevent loading another os when windows are hibernated I say windows because my laptop has a similar dual boot vista with ubuntu and hibernation works for both systems and I can load whichever I want after that I tried to find information about w hibernation and bios but I couldn't find anything clear enough I have also tried EasyBCD but it didn't change a thing I have already seen the posts about active partitions boot partitions boot flag in ubuntu turned off hybrid sleep prevented all devices from waking up windows but nothing works I started a thread ubuntu Hibernate Problem in Windows but not in Ubuntu - Ubuntu Forums since I though it was a GRUB problem but no one seemed to know what to do or no one cared So I' m left with the above assumption windows controlling bios Does anybody know anything about this or the problem in general Thank you in advance

A:Hibernate windows 7 in dual boot with ubuntu

Oh boy this takes a while. to speed you along: powercfg.exe -energy in a windows 7 cmd.exe with admin rights - fixs as many problems as you can. if sleep works but hybrid sleep and hibernate don't and you boot with grub: set boot flag for the mini partition that windows made when it installed itself - note do NOT do this with windows disk manager as it will BREAK your system if you did do this use testdisk to recover (but believe me - you don't want to do that) Instead use parted gparted rescue disk or your linux partition and fdisk and set the boot flag. Still not hibernating (like me?) then you need to use the grub menu option that boots windows from the small partition usually /dev/sda1 (you set the boot flag didn't you?) Ok that should be it. Good luck

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/148560-hibernate-windows-7-dual-boot-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 99.33%

I have a Lenovo V laptop which had a working XP-SP system with hard disk partitioned for data and OS and Lenovo s infuriating hidden partition for recovery I decided to install Ubuntu dual boot - all went well - GRUB took over booting Today I tried to remove the dual boot and revert to XP-only I followed instructions found elsewhere that told me use compmgmt msc to remove the Ubuntu-XP Disaster Boot Removing Dual partitions then Removing Dual Boot Ubuntu-XP Disaster use my install-CD to go into repair mode and run a program to fix the mbr - I used the disk utility to remove the two ubuntu partitions - I booted using the XP CD What went wrong - When I tried to enter the repair mode it repeatedly told me it couldn t find a hard disk Removing Dual Boot Ubuntu-XP Disaster and gave me only the option to reboot - which didn t help - Now when I boot without the CD in place I get an error message from GRUB - error - and am totally stuck I tried using the XP CD again and am still told that there aren t any HD s available What should I do to get back my working XP nbsp

Relevancy 99.33%

Not one forum has an appropriate solution to fix my issue. So here it is. I have an early 2011 Alienware m17xr3. Dual hard drive. Came with Windows 7, BIOS not UEFI. Dual boot with Ubuntu 15.04 and Windows 8.1 pro 64 bit. Windows is on first hard drive. Installed Windows first. Using GRUB2. Reversed boot order so GRUB (on Ubuntu hard drive) boots first so I have a boot loader. Both HDD on GPT. Select first (boot) partition on Windows HDD to boot. Get the above error code saying winload.exe missing or contains errors. Startup repair from install DVD fails. Try Boot Repair CD and doesn't fix. What is wrong? Getting rid of either or reformatting is a non starter. Want both and Windows requires far too much data to get back up. Help please. Everything for 8 is for UEFI not BIOS.

A:Error 0xc000000e on dual boot with Ubuntu

Unless the bios is capable of UEFI, you will never get any OS that tries to use that mode. They will all run in the regular bios mode.

As for dual boot with Linux distro's and Windows. There are guides out there on the Ubuntu Forums, Major Geeks forum, how to set a machine up to dual boot with Windows & Linux.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/66666-error-0xc000000e-dual-boot-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 99.33%

Hello All!

I have been having problems hibernating my windows 7 partition recently. It happened approximately right after I set up the dual boot.

I have found other topics where it says to make sure that the windows 7 partition is marked as the active partition. I have since done so and it has not changed anything. I did it with Partition Magic on Windows. I did find it suspicious though that my Dell Recovery partition is labeled as boot while the Windows one is marked as Active and System.

However when I looked at it using disk utility in Ubuntu the windows 7 partition is marked as Bootable while the recovery partition is not.

Hibernation works on Ubuntu with a couple error messages while shutting down and some weird screen issues while booting up. But it ends up working decently.

I was wondering if anybody would be able to help me with this. Thanks!

Relevancy 99.33%

Hello!

I have Windows 7 RC1 installed for some time, dual-booting with Windows XP. And that worked like a charm. But a couple of days ago I installed Ubuntu on the Windows XP partition (after formatting it with ext3, of course). But the thing is, I have been trying to boot into my dear Windows 7 ever since, with no success. It didn't show in the boot manager, so I changed the menu.lst in Ubuntu. Thus it can be seen, but to no avail, as it does not work. I have tryed fixing it with the Windows 7 installation DVD, but it did not work. And I really ran out of ideas; also I would like to keep both my OS-es as they are (all data), if that's possible somehow.
Looking forward to reading your suggestions, thank you!

A:Failing to dual boot Win7 and Ubuntu

Quote: Originally Posted by CyberDuck

Hello!

I have Windows 7 RC1 installed for some time, dual-booting with Windows XP. And that worked like a charm. But a couple of days ago I installed Ubuntu on the Windows XP partition (after formatting it with ext3, of course). But the thing is, I have been trying to boot into my dear Windows 7 ever since, with no success. It didn't show in the boot manager, so I changed the menu.lst in Ubuntu. Thus it can be seen, but to no avail, as it does not work. I have tryed fixing it with the Windows 7 installation DVD, but it did not work. And I really ran out of ideas; also I would like to keep both my OS-es as they are (all data), if that's possible somehow.
Looking forward to reading your suggestions, thank you!

Ok so right now you have ubuntu, and win 7 right? and you want to keep the data in both. You probably had xp installed first then installed win 7 after and had a boot menu to let you chose which. when you formatted xp the boot loader was probably on the xp partition. You can use bcedit (i think there is a tutorial on its use here @ SF in the tutorial section)

Hope Im close in my assumtions and hope it helps a little.

Ken

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/14656-failing-dual-boot-win7-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 99.33%

Sorry guys if this is in the wrong forum, but since XP is my primary operating system I thought I'd start here. Here's the problem: Yesterday I decided to install Ubuntu on my PC to where I could dual-boot into either Windows or Ubuntu. Well, the installation went fine, but now when I boot up it gives me the option of booting Windows or Ubuntu (this IS what I wanted). Only thing is that it automatically highlights "Ubuntu" instead of Windows and if I don't choose Windows in 5 seconds it boots Ubuntu. Is there any way that I can move "Windows" to the top of the list so that if I don't choose anything, it'll automatically load Windows XP?

A:Windows XP Dual-Boot w/ Ubuntu Problem

How did you install Ubuntu?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/329837/windows-xp-dual-boot-w-ubuntu-problem/
Relevancy 99.33%

I have a Windows 8.1/Ubuntu dual boot system. Can anyone give me instructions on how to get rid of the GRUB loader to end up with Windows as the default loading OS that will give me the Windows blue 'Please choose an operating system' screen when I turn the system on?

Thanks in advance!

A:8.1/Ubuntu dual boot GRUB query

For loading Ubuntu, you need the Grub. If you want to het rid of Grub, you will have to get rid of Ubuntu too.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/52660-8-1-ubuntu-dual-boot-grub-query.html
Relevancy 99.33%

I HAD a desktop that was a mHz p coppermine win problem boot win2k/ubuntu dual k Ubuntu machine recently i got my hands on a better gHz mb DDR ram machine that had no win2k/ubuntu dual boot problem hard drive or graphics card Basically i just took the graphics card and hard drive out of the mHz machine and put them into the newer better hardware setup Now i know that MS operating systems are chipset specific that is if i change the intel chipset i have to re-install the OS Ubuntu is not so much and boots and runs fine The PROBLEM is that when i pop in the windows installer disc nothing happens i see a black screen with cursor then the list of OS to choose I get no view of the bios and cant configure it to boot to cd Its driving me nuts as all i WANT to do is to delete the c partition and reinstall windows onto leaving the other ubuntu ext fat and swap partitions partitions as they are as they work fine on the new upgraded chipset What is the easiest way to delete the current MS partition and re-install windows in its place again without wiping hte entire hard drive and start the partitioning hdd formatting process all over again Thanks to anyone in advance in help of this nbsp

A:win2k/ubuntu dual boot problem

will the computer POST and let you into the Bios if you take the hard drive out? if so, take it out then set the bios to boot to cd then put the hd back in.

good luck

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/win2k-ubuntu-dual-boot-problem.591545/
Relevancy 99.33%

When I bought my cpu it came with a dual OS ubuntu and xp pro. my total hard drive is 80Gigs, and I can't make ubuntu work. I do not want to reformat the cpu since I have 11Gigs of music plus a game or 2 that I can't find again if I do that, Plus I don't have an xp disk to work with. So how to I get rid of linux ubuntu? Please, I'm not a tech etc., so be as straight forward with any help you may be able to provide. Thank you.

A:What do I do to remove Ubuntu from a dual boot system and keep only XP

You need to remove the Ubuntu partitions, and then rebuild the MBR boot loader for Windows XP, which you can't do (at least as far as I am aware) without the XP install media.

Where is your music, in Ubuntu, or Windows?
When you say Ubuntu isn't working, what is the problem with it?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/what-do-i-do-to-remove-ubuntu-from-a-dual-boot-system-and-keep-only-xp.157969/
Relevancy 99.33%

Okay so I ve spent the last couple hours researching how to remove my ubuntu partition from a multi-OS boot with Windows and Vista still boot with Windows dual 7 Ubuntu in removing not convinced of an exact method or strategy I need the space but am more afraid of losing all my data and having to reformat and reinstall Windows Yes my data is backed up but it s just the hassle of having to reinstall apps and shortcuts and every single little thing I ve tweaked especially the registry in the past year Does anyone know of a full proof method to uninstall and remove this ubuntu linux removing Ubuntu in dual boot with Windows 7 partition Does the fact the i installed Windows after Ubuntu laptop came with Vista then installed Ubuntu to dual boot then recently got change anything or the fact that Windows is listed as my default OS Until i know for sure i guess I m just gonna have to leave it there any help would be greatly appreciated I knew that grub was gonna come back and kick me in the ass Vista Home Premium Ubuntu Windows Professional Thanks

A:removing Ubuntu in dual boot with Windows 7

So you have a triple-boot? Vista, Ubuntu, and 7?Do this for me while inside Windows 7:in the Start Menu search, type this and hit Enter:msconfigOnce on the "Boot" tab, take a screenshot and post it here.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/300653/removing-ubuntu-in-dual-boot-with-windows-7/
Relevancy 99.33%

I installed Ubuntu 10.04 earlier today.

I have 6 HDs, and I installed Ubuntu on a 400GB partition on one of my REGULAR HD'S. My Windows installation is on my SSD.

Now, when I turn on my computer my Windows bootloader is showing, not GRUB. And if I press the "Start Windows Nornally" option - my Ubuntu boots. How do I fix this ?

I tried to repair my startup (using the Windows CD) without luck.

Thanks in advance!

A:Dual-boot: Windows 7 & Ubuntu - problem

Did you unplug the SSD when installing Ubuntu?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/155462-dual-boot-windows-7-ubuntu-problem.html
Relevancy 99.33%

I wanted to know how would i be able to Dual Boot XP Pro and Ubuntu Feisty?

Are there any problems with dual booting these two?

*I have 2 hard drives. My C Drive is the one with XP Pro and i have my J Drive which has nothing.

A:Solved: XP Dual boot with Ubuntu Feisty

If you have XP installed, Feisty will set up the dual-boot menu for you if you already have space set aside for it. There shouldn't be any problems.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-xp-dual-boot-with-ubuntu-feisty.603947/
Relevancy 99.33%

ubuntu forums are no help with this at all, i keep getting told to come here. Wanting to remove the ubuntu partion and the grub boot manager and just have my windows again, need an easier way to do this. Do not have a windows disc, been reading around and there are some ways to just delete everything linux with out it effecting windows, just cant figure it out on my own.

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/64606-undoing-ubuntu-14-04-windows-8-1-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 99.33%

FIrst post here hope you can all help me I recently installed Ubuntu using Wubi on my laptop meaning I could run it from another hard drive without altering XP It worked fine the first time apart from the wireless card not picking up and working Someone suggested reinstalling so I did so During the installation something broke down and it froze so i restarted Since then the laptop has gone past the initial start-up screen and then gone blank apart from a blinking pointer in the top left hand corner I assume that the Ubuntu installation is corrupt and so start-up fails when trying to dual boot but I have found no way Boot Problems XP/Ubuntu - Booting Dual to get around this Due to this being a new-ish laptop I have no floppy drive for boot disks and a multitude of Booting Problems - Dual Boot XP/Ubuntu boot CD-ROMS have proved unsuccessful The last I tried was a CD to boot into DOS but from there I found no way to access the D drive second partition where Ubuntu and only that is installed Any help as to how to destroy any reference of Ubuntu and give me back control would be much appreciated I'll try anything

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/booting-problems-dual-boot-xp-ubuntu-157755.html
Relevancy 99.33%

I have Ubuntu Linux and Windows 8 running on my laptop in Dual boot. Now I want to re-install Ubuntu without affecting Windows 8 partition. Please help me with it.

A:How do I re-install Ubuntu on a dual boot laptop?

Hi there
You don't even need to "Dual Boot"

Have a read of my threads about creating a PORTABLE system -- Written for Open SUSE-- am now using using Linux Mint - the same works for UBUNTU / DEBIAN .

The main trick is to ensure that GRUB is written to the device you install Linux on and not the MBR of the ist hard disk (usually /dev/sda).

Note also if you have a UEFI system then it gets a bit more complex but the same should work.

How to make Portable Windows system (any version)

It also explains if you hose up the boot windows mechanism on how to fix it.

Cheers
jimbo

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/44219-how-do-i-re-install-ubuntu-dual-boot-laptop.html
Relevancy 99.33%

HI
I've recently installed Ubuntu as a dual system, i installed it on separate partition, now i have dual boot Ubuntu and windows 7... WHAT I WANT , how to uninstall Ubuntu without affecting W7 to return my system as it was ; Windows 7 only...
Regards

A:How to Uninstall Ubuntu from a Dual Boot Windows 7 PC

To Remove Linux take look at this post:
Error 0xc0000225 on boot

Remove Grub - Restore Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/290185-how-uninstall-ubuntu-dual-boot-windows-7-pc.html
Relevancy 99.33%

i am new to this site and new to forums all together but i really need help

i have 2 hdd
one has xp pro sp2 on it
and the other is partitioned half way with linux Ubuntu on it

i want to uninstall GRUB and Ubuntu but i dont have a boot cd so i made one using this guide
http://www.howtohaven.com/system/createwindowssetupdisk.shtml
in the guide it tells you to copy your i386 folder to w/e file they want you to put it in.
my question is... is it just a matter of uninstalling grub or do i have to reinstall a windows boot loader and if i do have to reinstall a windows boot loader is this boot cd going to do that for me.

i just really dont want to boot my pc and be throwing $180 out the window

i would really appreciate your help.

thx

A:Problem uninstalling ubuntu dual boot

i'm pretty sure you can just insert your original windows disk and use the recovery console and then use the command "fixmbr." (without the quotes or full stop of course).

this will replace GRUB with the original windows bootloader and you should be able to boot into windows normally, without the choice of Ubuntu.

that said, this method doesnt remove or delete your Ubuntu partition or setup. it just leaves it there in a slightly inaccessible state, which is not a bad thing if you later decide you would like to reactivate it and have another crack. its also a good hiding spot for some of your 'sensitive stuff!'

if you're feeling brave and wanna start deleting unwanted partitions later (read my other posts!!), then you can do this from inside windows once you have it booting normally with windows MBR (master boot record).

try this site out, this guys pretty switched on..

http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/

but remember, when mucking about with partitions and stuff "there are two kinds of people in this world, those who backup, and those who've never lost a hard drive."

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-uninstalling-ubuntu-dual-boot.108872/
Relevancy 99.33%

Hello I was running Windows and Ubuntu on two seperate partitions using the Grub loader to dual Ubuntu Dual 7 problem. Solved: Boot / boot I decided to part ways with Ubuntu after I was unable to boot into it on Solved: Ubuntu / 7 Dual Boot problem. startup So I went into Disk management in Windows and deleted the partition that it was stored on Upon restart the Grub loader Solved: Ubuntu / 7 Dual Boot problem. could not find anything to boot from error and I booted from an old Vista CD and ran bootrec fixmbr which then lead me to an error saying quot missing operating system quot Under bootrec i tried the following commands and these were the results bootrec fixmbr - The operation completed successfully bootrec fixboot - The volume does not contain a recognized file system bootrec scanos - Successful scanned Windows installations Total identified Windows installations D Windows The operation completed successfully bootrec rebuildbcd - Successful scanned Windows installations Total identified Windows installations D Windows Add installation to boot i hit yes The Volume does not contain a recognized file system Can anyone help me if there is a work around this this smells like a fresh install of again Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 99.33%

Hello people of 7forums! I am new here and I have a very interesting question.
Okay, so when I boot Ubuntu 14.04.2 x64 from my USB stick, it doesn't detect Windows 7!
I have tried to convert my disk to basic, but I don't seem to have an option for it so I guess I already have a basic one! My computer is custom built so it is NOT UEFI based. When I open Disk Management in Windows 7, there's a green box around my C drive. People have told me that it's because it's a logical partition and I have more than 4 primary, which is wrong. I have 1 (System reserved) which is primary, 2 unallocated for Ubuntu 14.04.2 and my C drive which apparently is the "extended partition". Is this why Ubuntu is not recognizing my Windows 7 install? I would greatly appreciate any help!

Thanks, Jason.

A:Windows 7 and Ubuntu 14.04 Dual boot problems

Are you sure Ubuntu mount NTFS partitions automatically? I have seen some Linux distributions that doesn't do this.

(my Linux is basic) You can try in terminal window: (9 commands to check hard disk partitions and disk space on Linux)

Code:
fdisk -l
Then mount the proper partition (the command is an example, exchange sda2 with the correct device number, the bold part is the name under which the partition will be mounted, you can change it):

Code:
mount -t ntfs /dev/sda2 /mnt/windows -o ro
The above will mount the partition in read-only mode.

To mount with read-write support:

Code:
ntfs-3g /dev/sdd1 /mnt/backup

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/375390-windows-7-ubuntu-14-04-dual-boot-problems.html
Relevancy 99.33%

Hello all. I am new to the forums and have been having a very annoying issue as of late. I currently have a machine installed with Windows 8 pro 64 bit installed on one Samsung 840 pro SSD. Works great. I recently added a second Crucial m4 SSD and would like to install Linux on it... I am having major issues doing so mainly because of UEFI... and when installing Linux it does not see Windows 8 installed on any drive therefore making it rather difficult to install both OSes. Any advice would be wonderful! I have searched Google quite a bit only to find the same issues but non relating to ssd drives. Thanks in advance!

Devin

A:Windows 8 dual boot ubuntu 12.10 on 2 ssd drives

Welcome to EightForums.

First you will need to DISABLE Secure Boot.

Originally Posted by theog

Reset BIOS to default, and reboot to BIOS make sure Secure Boot is disabled.
Make sure CSM is ENABLED, & set to UEFI boot.
NOTE: Check your manufacturer's uEFI BIOS manual for settings.

Secure boot: technical types spreading half-baked information

Linux distributions are making slow progress on implementing measures to ensure that their images available for download are bootable on hardware that has secure boot turned on.

Secure boot is a feature of the UEFI, the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface, a replacement for the BIOS.

Microsoft has implemented this feature on hardware certified for Windows 8 in a way that requires the exchange of cryptographic keys; since the company controls the key-signing authority, anyone who wants to create a bootable medium has to necessarily obtain a key from Redmond.

Misinformation is rife about secure boot, simply because people confuse UEFI with secure boot and think that support for the former means support for the latter. Many so-called technical types are as guilty as others of spreading wrong information.

mjg59 | Secure Boot distribution support

?Microsoft's real aim is to kill the aftermarket in used computers that have Win 8 installed by not allowing you to install something other than Windows?

Microsoft could just have refused to sign UEFI bootloaders. They didn't. That doesn't really fit in with what you're claiming.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/18770-windows-8-dual-boot-ubuntu-12-10-2-ssd-drives.html
Relevancy 99.33%

i have a rather powerful computer in the greater scheem of things... and i would like to dual boot from two separate drives, ubuntu linux, and windows 7. i am in need of thorough instruction! i halve found alot of people online asking about ubuntu, people reply talking about other OSs and saying it should help. also if anyone could tell me what toll this might take on my power supply or my ram to have 2 HDs running at once technicaly. please and thank you. Thor.

A:I NEED HELP to dual boot windows 7 and ubuntu on seperate HDs

Hello.

The easiest way to do away with boot issues between separate Operating Systems (OS) is to use the BIOS one time boot menu to select which OS to boot at system startup, each motherboard has an individual hot-key to tap during system start-up to access this menu.

If you have 2 separate Hard Disk Drives (HDD) and have one OS installed to one HDD and you want to install another OS to the second HDD, disconnect the HDD with the first OS installed on it and leave only the HDD you want to install the second OS to connected.
Install the second OS to the connected HDD and when complete and the system is booting good, power down and reconnect the first HDD with the first OS on it.

This way the OSs will boot independently of each other and there will be no boot conflicts between the 2 separate OSs to have to sort later.

Then set the BIOS to boot the HDD / OS you want as default and if you want to start the other (new) OS you use the BIOS one-time boot menu to select that HDD / OS to start when the PC is started.Asus - F8
HP/Compaq - Esc
Sony - F2
Acer ? F12
Packard Bell
Gateway - F10
eMachnes - F10
Gigabyte ? F12
Toshiba - F12
Dell - F12

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/181686-i-need-help-dual-boot-windows-7-ubuntu-seperate-hds.html
Relevancy 99.33%

I have a dual boot machine that has WinXP SP and Ubuntu that has some serious errors that I can t figure out how to fix It happens on both platforms with Windows getting a blue screen and Ubuntu freezing up requiring power button shutoff The problem doesn Dual Boot 10.04) Serious (WinXP/Ubuntu Errors t seem consistent with any specific program but does happen when internet browsing for sure Here are Dual Boot (WinXP/Ubuntu 10.04) Serious Errors the specs to my comp Dual Boot OS WinXP SP bit and Ubuntu Processor AMD Athlon tm Processor x Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb x MB DDR DIMM Hard Disk WDC WD SCSI Hard Disk GB Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce GT Mb Network Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter Motherboard ASRock Dual-SATA Antivirus AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition Updated Yes On-Demand Scanner Enabled It seems to occur more frequently when browsing with Firefox than with IE but still happens when browsing with both When I am not browsing the net it seems to occur when I have a PDF open I am not sure if this helps but I exported the event log for both System and Applications for today attached I am not sure if there is a way to do the same thing in Ubuntu Thanks in advance nbsp

Relevancy 99.33%

Hello friends,

I would like to install Linux Ubuntu on my laptop alongside Windows using dual boot.
However, people keep telling me that it is not a good idea this to be done on a laptop because of driver comparability and stuff like that.

So is it OK if dual boot Ubuntu and Windows on a laptop or it is a terrible idea?

Best Regards
Stefany

A:Dual boot Windows and Linux Ubuntu

I'm against multi-booting of any kind. I believe in keeping it simple, so if you want to play around with Ubuntu, especially if you are worried about compatibility, virtualize it. It's 100% compatible with VirtualBox.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/259979-dual-boot-windows-linux-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 99.33%

I just installed Ubuntu to make my computer dual boot with Windows 7. When the option in Ubuntu came up to install it along Windows 7, I selected it. Well, after the install my monitor pops up a box saying "Out of Range" and nothing comes up, then Ubuntu boots. I never get the option to boot Win7. If I hit a button while the monitor is out of range, nothing boots. What is my problem? Thanks

A:Windows 7 and Ubuntu Dual Boot Problems

I think that the Ubuntu boot loader has taken over and set itself as default (so it boots after the timeout period has expired), which may be fine, BUT, the resolution it has chosen for that display is not compatible with your monitors resolution settings, so the monitor just says out of range.
Do you have another monitor you can try, or an old CRT screen monitor, anything that might accept the resolution and display the screen and try another video port coming from the computer if available. I don't know how to go about changing the boot screen resolution.

If the dual boot screen is similar to Windows, when it gets to that pause where its waiting for any change to be made as far as which OS to boot to, press the down arrow key once and then hit enter and see if Windows 7 loads (and displays).

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-7-and-ubuntu-dual-boot-problems.1009942/
Relevancy 99.33%

Ok so I have W7 and Ubuntu desktop installed on my HDD. I used gparted and deleted my ubuntu partition and set it NTFS. But I forgot about the GRUB loader. Now when I boot up, I get the "error 22".

Anyways, how do I set it so I can just boot W7?

Also! I'm on a netbook so it has to be a USB method.

A:Dual Boot: Ubuntu and W7 Grub issue

Wlecome to the "Grub error club" as well as the Se7enforums! RyanfromtheShhiir

That's what the repair tools section on the 7 dvd are for correcting mbr entries and other things preventing Windows from a normal startup! In your case you have to load the 7 installer again from the usb source(external hard drive, usb key) that you used to see 7 installed for this.

Right when the installer finishes loading to the point where you select the language and location and you move on to the next screen for the "Install Now" button look down below that for the repair tools link. That will then go through the detection process for the installation you have on and bring you to a menu of options where you then simply click on the Startup Repair. Startup Repair

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/18885-dual-boot-ubuntu-w7-grub-issue.html
Relevancy 99.33%

Hey everyone, Im really killin' myself over this one. I just recently added Ubuntu 10.04.1 to my Gateway laptop NV53. I set it up so they would be installed side by side, Ubuntu being the one newly installed. It came with Windows 7, and it would give me the choice to select which OS i wanted to load (It gave me the Ubuntu OS, there were two -- and there was the Windows 7, A Vista Loader, and two other load choices those being like partitions on the drive) but now, when I try and boot off the HDD, it says: error: no such partition.
grub rescue>

I dunno what to do and im tearing myself to pieces here, whado I do??

A:Windows 7/Ubuntu dual boot issue

You should have got a cheap external HDD to put Ubuntu on, i once had a problem like yours, i couldn't get back into windows after trying to dual boot with Ubuntu. i had to reformat my whole HDD.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-7-ubuntu-dual-boot-issue.153729/
Relevancy 99.33%

I have two hard drives on my computer, one for my OS and apps (C, and one for my data (D. I recently reformatted my C: drive, re-installing Windows 7. I want to set up a dual-boot system with Ubuntu 10.04.

The problem I am having is that the Ubuntu installer recognizes my D: drive but not the C:. The C: drive is currently partitioned as follows:

100 MB NTFS Primary System Reserved
449.59 GB NTFS Primary
146.48 GB Unallocated

I have searched all over the net for answers, but none of the solutions I have found work.

Any thoughts?

A:Can't Get a Dual-Boot Windows 7/Ubuntu Installation Going

You say, you have two HD Drive, therefore you have a Disk0 & a Disk1.

When installing Linux
1) Remove Disk0 with Windows 7.
2) Install Linux to Disk1
3) Replace Disk0.
4) Use the one time boot menu to boot the OS's.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/183248-cant-get-dual-boot-windows-7-ubuntu-installation-going.html
Relevancy 99.33%

hello all

i need help or assistance on steps-by-steps procedure on how to dual boot?

as a background, i haven't tried to dual boot any OS what ever the combination. i'm trying to make a dual boot now as i prepare myself to start learning networks stuffs.

hoping anyone or someone can lend a hand
cheers!

A:dual boot (Win Server 2008 & Ubuntu)

Quote: Originally Posted by anggwaponi

hello all

i need help or assistance on steps-by-steps procedure on how to dual boot?

as a background, i haven't tried to dual boot any OS what ever the combination. i'm trying to make a dual boot now as i prepare myself to start learning networks stuffs.

hoping anyone or someone can lend a hand
cheers!

Ahh....everyone loves dual booting

Before we get started....I need you to choose a bootloader

GRUB - Open Source Bootloader that can literally boot any OS BUT if you uninstall Ubuntu, you won't be able to boot until you run a startup repair on Server 2008

Windows - It is fine but you will have to use easyBCD or the command line to add a manual entry for Ubuntu. You will also half to change one step of the Ubuntu installation to make sure you don't overwrite the Windows one

Let me know which you decide LOL

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/118568-dual-boot-win-server-2008-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 99.33%

I recently installed ubuntu 10.04 LTS on my system, and now, even when the windows partition is active, it boots into the ubuntu loader, then the windows bootloader. How can I remove the ubuntu bootloader?

A:Dual Boot Ubuntu cant remove loader

Boot into Win 7 , D/l this bootsect.zip .

Copy bootsect.exe file into win 7 c:\windows\system32.

Open an elevated command prompt and type ( assuming win7 partition sees itself as C )

bootsect /nt60 C: /mbr

press enter.

That's it

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/85868-dual-boot-ubuntu-cant-remove-loader.html
Relevancy 99.33%

I have a Packard Bell desktop that still runs XP Yeah I know bear with me I would like to dual boot it with Ubuntu Server but I read two interesting posts which I will follow First someone edwar boot Server and XP edition Dual Ubuntu suggested to use a Virtual Machine Both Virtualbox and VMware Player are free That way you can run both Windows and any flavor of Linux you want along with older versions of Windows at Dual boot XP and Ubuntu Server edition the same time No need to restart to Dual boot XP and Ubuntu Server edition go to the other OS Best thing since sliced bread IMHO this is not an option for me since XP is already installed I don't think I can install a VM and then move my XP into the VM Please correct me if I'm wrong Then someone suggested to install the nd OS on another HDD I like that a idea I just couldn't find that post anymore AFAICR he said - install nd HDD - unplug st HDD - reboot with Ubuntu installation CD - install Ubuntu on nd HDD - plug in st HDD - go into BIOS and set it so that it asks which HDD to boot from Is the above more or less correct If so I'll try to do just that one of these days

A:Dual boot XP and Ubuntu Server edition

Yes it's always best to boot from BIOS to avoid issues.

Set preferred OS HD first to boot in BIOS setup,

then when needed trigger other OS HD using one-time BIOS Boot Menu key.

Let us know how this works. There are other options if it isn't desirable, like installing EasybCD to Windows to add the other OS: Dual boot Ubuntu-Win7

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/339808-dual-boot-xp-ubuntu-server-edition.html