Windows Support Forum

DVD works with other drives but not mine, while other DVDs work

Q: DVD works with other drives but not mine, while other DVDs work

I recently bought a Windows DVD to put it on the new PC I'm building for my mom. That PC has troubles with the DVD drive itself (stupid motherboard doesn't have IDE..), so I figured I'd set up a bootable USB to install Windows before the adapter arrives. Problem is, the installation DVD isn't playing on my drive (I tried another DVD with a movie on it before, so I don't think its my drive). I brought it to a PC shop and for them it worked fine, even though its quite scratched on the back (I guess the person selling those DVDs doesn't know how to ship them properly) I didn't wanna pay 20 bucks for them copying the DVD, even though I'll probably end up having to do that.

Any ideas what the problem is, or what I can do? I'm not sure if the DVD will work in my moms drive either..

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dvd-works-with-other-drives-but-not-mine-while-other-dvds-work.216661/
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: DVD works with other drives but not mine, while other DVDs work

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 63.21%

My computer won't work on my computer. I checked the audio settings and it isn't muted. It works on other computers. I have also tried other mics and still doesn't work.

In soundMAX Control Panel, the microphone section has an exlamation(!) mark beside it. THhis is in the "Playback" settings.

On the "Record" settings, there is no exclamation mark on microphone.

Plesae help
Thanks!

A:Mic works on other computers, but not mine

Have you tried another mic besides this one that you are tryin got get working on this computer? Other then that you might want to try make sure you have the correct and uptodate drivers fo your sound card.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/mic-works-on-other-computers-but-not-mine.43975/
Relevancy 62.78%

Hi All

I have a flash drive. It works great in ANY PC except mine - It picks up the USB drive but shows it as if it has a raw file format - cannot open the flash drive but it shows up on my comp. Now you might think my PC it the problem, which it probably is, but all other USB hardware (including OTHER flash drives) works fine on my PC. Why does my PC not detect it properly? Any suggestions?

Thanks

A:USB flash drive works in other PC's, just not in mine

Connect it to another pc, copy all to it, then format to NTFS & replace your data.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/278835-usb-flash-drive-works-other-pcs-just-not-mine.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Hi All

I have a flash drive. It works great in ANY PC except mine - It picks up the USB drive but shows it as if it has a raw file format - cannot open the flash drive but it shows up on my comp. Now you might think my PC it the problem, which it probably is, but all other USB hardware (including OTHER flash drives) works fine on my PC. Why does my PC not detect it properly? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Relevancy 61.92%

Ok so here is the scenario please bare with me it will be long When I one location, help, works not mine!! comp Solved: just my in am logged on to my work Solved: help, my comp works in one location, just not mine!! computer usually after just a few minutes my computer will either freeze up or it will shut down and I will get the blue screen of death I keep calling our computer guy to come fix it and he keeps telling me there is nothing wrong with it My computer has an AMD processor in it and Solved: help, my comp works in one location, just not mine!! he has replaced the mother board the power supply and all of the memory but this is all basically because he can find nothing wrong with our computer so he is Solved: help, my comp works in one location, just not mine!! just going nuts replacing everything However the computer works beautifully at his place and when I get it back to my place it works for a bit then crashes He will take it back and find nothing Anyhow this last time he had our computer he gave me a loaner which wasnt really a loaner because it was all of our parts minus the main components - mother board memory power supply When he put loaner parts in it he put a pentium in it instead of an AMD since our power supply is compatible with both and I didnt have any problems what so ever when I had the pentium in it So I know this is a long shot but the theory I have come up with is that maybe something in my office is triggering some kind of negative reaction with the AMD processor I know that sounds some what ridiculous but I am at a complete loss here I am about to pull all of my hair out The comp works fine at his house with the AMD in it the comp works fine at my office with the pentium in it but it is screwy with the AMD in it at my office I need some imput Is this completely stupid or is it just so ridiculous that could be the problem and if so what could be triggering the reaction I have completely isolated the computer only the mouse key board and monitor are hooked up I put them on a separate surge protector even switched outlets thinking there could be a short or something Some body please help me our comp guy is starting to hate me and I think he is more of a self proclaimed genius and isnt really sure if what I am talking about could happen and I say when it comes to computers sometimes you have to leave logic at the door and look at it from a different perspective Or maybe I am just nuts nbsp

Relevancy 61.92%

Hey everybody This is my first post and I m sort of new at this wireless stuff so please bear with me I also tried to search this works not on adapter computers USB mine?? Wireless but other question but got an internal server error so I dunno if it Wireless USB adapter works on other computers but not mine?? s been posted already Anyway the situation I m in is that I just bought a Wireless USB adapter works on other computers but not mine?? used computer and tried to install a wireless USB adapter so I can suck in my neighbor s internet signal I actually do have permission for this he s on vacation for weeks and is letting me use it while Wireless USB adapter works on other computers but not mine?? he s gone I don t however know any of his internet specs or any of that So I installed it on a computer that isn t here anymore and won t be coming back- an old Compaq model It worked just fine The installation took minutes and found my neighbor s signal immediately I surfed the net until the computer was moved from the house So I tried to install it on a used computer I bought a month ago and it doesn t work I ve tried about a dozen installations and never once did it say it was successful or get to the point that it will pick up a signal and connect me to the internet Once or twice it saw the signal then failed to connect me then didn t see the signal again Other times it failed to recognize the connected adapter Still other times it apparently recognized the connected adapter and got hung endlessly on a little box that said something like quot initializing system settings quot I went so far as to reformat my system and it doesn t make any change whatsoever Yet even after all that I can take the adapter and install it effortlessly on a friend s computer and connect to the internet which I just did before registering to this site Bottom line is that it s something with this specific computer The adapter worked on the Compaq Presario desktop PC yet is giving me hours of headache on a Gateway It makes no sense Long story short if I just bought this Gateway computer brand new from a store and tried to install this adapter I would have brought the adapter back to the store assuming IT was the problem because surely the device is made to work on all recent computers But I d be wrong because by process of elimination I know it s the computer At first I assumed it was because I got this computer used But I never had a problem doing anything else with it and as I said it s now been reformatted Is it a missing driver I dunno I went to Gateway s site and they don t offer many drivers The ones I see are from a couple years ago anyway before this model was made I m stuck and helpless I ll give you any info you require and answer any questions to the best of my abilities The adapter is a brand new quot Netgear Rangemax wireless -N USB adapter model WN quot which has been installed on different computers with no problem The computer I m failing to install it on is a Gateway desktop PC model E- D manufacturing date july I m using Windows XP Professional edition Service pack Please please help me I m trying to get into college this winter and I could really use this window of internet opportunity Thanks LOADS for any help nbsp

A:Wireless USB adapter works on other computers but not mine??

It's against the terms of service for the ISP for your neighbor to share his Internet access. I suggest a reading of the TSG Rules, we don't assist in such activities here.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-usb-adapter-works-on-other-computers-but-not-mine.859147/
Relevancy 61.49%

One of my many drive is the FreeAgent GoFlex Drive 1.5 TB pocket sized external drive - it works fine on every other computer but on mine it stopped working - actually when I plug it in to my computer it freezes my computer every time I plug it in however to unfreeze my computer all I have to do is unplug the drive (plug-in and unplug I mean connect and disconnect USB cable from my USB port on my computer).

I have a 700 watt Power supply and my other USB devices work just fine which includes all my other external hard drives - I did replace my Geforce 8800 GT grap[hics card with the Geforce GTx550 Ti graphics card.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

A:FreeAgent GoFlex Drive works on every computer but mine

Have you tried connecting it to a different USB port? It's possible that the port you are using is miswired and is putting out the wrong amount of voltage.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/freeagent-goflex-drive-works-on-every-computer-but-mine.186007/
Relevancy 56.76%

Hi guys,

I have an HP Pavilion dv6 - 6c01se (AMD Processor)
I recently updated my laptop to Windows 8, but after not liking it much I reverted back to the original and activated Windows 7 Home Premium x64 with the key that came with the laptop. However, since then the laptop has been acting weird and sometimes does not respond at all, it worked beautifully before on Windows 7.

One of my friends has the same laptop though I'm not sure if he has the Intel one or the AMD, but I was thinking if I could use his laptop to create recovery discs and use the to restore my laptop to factory conditions because I screwed up my recovery partition also after the Windows 8 install.

Can I use the recovery discs created from his laptop and use them to restore my laptop and then activate it using my Window's key ?

Thanks !

A:Will a Recovery disc from another laptop work on mine ?

The factory install on HP is the worst possible install of Win7 one can have, with the worst load of bloatware in the industry smothering the best OS ever so that you'll never even know what its native performance is like.

What I would do is follow these steps to do a perfect Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7 which is a vastly better install than the factory bloatware install and has been used by a million consumers without a single complaint.

Be sure to read the Special Note for HP Owners at the end. If you can still boot Factory Recovery via F11 then there may be a Minimal Recovery choice which is nearly as good as a Clean Reinstall. If not then I'd delete all partitions during the booted install.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/348703-will-recovery-disc-another-laptop-work-mine.html
Relevancy 56.76%

My roommate finally unpacked her computer and her wireless mouse moves my cursor from the other side of the apartment. My wireless mouse receiver picks up both mice commands. And her receiver ignores mine.

The Mice are both wireless Microsoft mice. I believe hers is newer.

How can I either tune down her mouse or ignore her mouse's signal?

Relevancy 56.33%

I have a linksys WMP110 running on a gigabyte M55SLIS4 motherboard every time i try to connect to a wireless connection with the card the OS reboots, But i took the card and installed it on my friend mother running the same release of windows 7 and it worked completely fine no reboot not at all and he ran it for more than a week

So can some help me out here probably tell me what they need to see why it reboots

A:Linksys WMP110 work on my friend computer but not mine

Update the chipset drivers for your motherboard and then install the latest wireless adapter driver too.

I see you have OCZ ram. Set the correct timings and Vdimm in the motherboard bios manually. Their website has this info for your RAM.

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/43012-linksys-wmp110-work-my-friend-computer-but-not-mine.html
Relevancy 56.33%

I'm trying to format my friends computer but I can't get his OS cd to work. When I reboot his computer with his OS cd, gateway, it says, "No hard disk found, Gateway System Recovery cannot be continued".
But, when I us my OS cd, dell, I can get to part to make a new partitian. What's going on, can I use my Cd to format his computer?

A:my friends operating system disk does not work in his cpu, but mine does...??

You can use your cd to format his drive (assuming its not a recovery disk), but I do not think you will be able to reinstall windows with it.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/my-friends-operating-system-disk-does-not-work-in-his-cpu-but-mine-does-255982.html
Relevancy 55.04%

Hey, hoping someone can help. I cant burn CD's or DVD's, at all. It comes back with an error 380136-24-0000000. I looked for this on various search engines and came across a microsoft fix but when i run the fix, the fix itself gets an error haha. So i done it the old fashioned 'do it yourself' way, removing the upper and lower thing in the registry but that has not helped.

I have tried a few burning programmes but none of them work. But as i say, the DVD player plays DVDs. Its really confusing me so any help would be really appreciated.

I have a Toshiba L300-20D and windows Vista 32 bit.

Thanks in advance folks

A:DVD player works, but cant burn CDs or DVDs

Hi and welcome to TSF I do not see any hits on the error code,have you tried going to device manager and deleting the driver then rebooting windows will reinstall it,or try unistalling the device and rebooting

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/dvd-player-works-but-cant-burn-cds-or-dvds-553076.html
Relevancy 54.18%

Both the DVD drive on my laptop Philips CDRW DVD CDD and my external burner Lacie DVD RW ND- A stopped recognizing DVDs today Both still play audio CDs fine but when I put a DVD in either drive it spins a few times and nothing happens If I open quot My Computer quot with a DVD in the drive the My Computer window opens but shows no information for any drives Then my system crashes and I have to re-boot I drives. not DVDs recognized by ve tried re-installing software drivers for both DVD drives and re-installed Windows Media Player and WINDVD No fix I also ran Microsoft s AutoFix program supposed to fix AutoPlay issues with a DVD in the drive and I got the folowing results Test Policies - Instance E Drive Type Result HKCU Policies NoDrives OK Absent Result HKCU Policies NoDriveAutorun OK Absent Result HKCU Policies NoDriveTypeAutorun OK Present Result HKLM Policies NoDrives OK Absent Result HKLM Policies NoDriveAutorun OK Absent Result HKLM Policies NoDriveTypeAutorun OK Absent Result Driver level policies OK HKLM Services cdrom Autorun Present lt Allows gt HKLM Services cdrom DVDs not recognized by drives. Parameters Autorun Absent lt Allows gt HKLM System CCS Enum AlwaysEnable Absent lt Not DVDs not recognized by drives. set gt HKLM System CCS Enum AlwaysDisable Absent lt Not set gt Test Drive Notification - Instance E Drive Type Result Legacy Notification OK Result AutoPlay DVDs not recognized by drives. V Notification Problems Service Silent Shell Deaf gt gt Repair lt lt Autoplay V Event Step No steps to take Result This AutoPlay setting cannot be fixed Either the device is malfunctioning or the wizard cannot determine the problem gt gt Required action The wizard found problems but cannot fix them - gt None I m out of ideas and this is very frustrating Can anyone else think of anything I haven t tried Thanks System Information txt file attached nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dvds-not-recognized-by-drives.453336/
Relevancy 54.18%

Hello,
I'm running XP on a 2 YO desktop. My two CD/DVD drives functioned perfectly until the other day. I've installed no new programs, but I think a Microsoft update happened at about this time.
I tried the MS fix, deleting both upper and lower (i forgot the entire name) files in the registry. The I tried the MR FIXIT auto tool from Windows, no luck. I tried the solution I found on this forum here 525621-solved-dvd-cd-rom-drive.

I see both drives in explorer, and trouble shooter in device mgr says they both are functioning. But, they both indicate that they are empty even though there is a disk in both. One disk is blank and the other I tried is a commercial dvd. No luck with either.

TIA-
Donna

Relevancy 54.18%

I have an HP media center PC. We had to replace the dvd writer/cd writer combo with a regular cd writer after the original drive quit. We now have this new CD writer as well as a dvd rom drive. I tried to play a DVD movie in the dvd rom drive and it wouldn't play. I went to My Computer and highlighted that drive and it does not show that a DVD is even in the "tray". I tried the DVD in the Windows Media Player in both drives and it always says "Media Center cannot detect a video DVD in the DVD Rom drive. Please insert a video DVD into the drive." I've tried playing different DVDs in Windows Media Player too and I just can't get any DVD to play in any program in either drive. Help!

A:DVD drives will not play DVDs

You probably need to go into the program you use to play the DVD and make sure that it's listed there. I'm guessing that the DVD player that died was the one used to play DVDs before?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dvd-drives-will-not-play-dvds.371097/
Relevancy 54.18%

I installed a NEC DVD burner in a Dell 2400 today. It has a CD-Rom also. Everything works great, but it won't play DVDs. It says something about a DVD Decoder. Where do I find such a contraption?

Relevancy 53.75%

Hello,
Both my DVD drives dont seem to recongnize any DVD's I put in them anymore.......this has been goin on for awhile now but its started to get on my nerves. As far as I know I havent installed any type of programs that would alter this, as Im still using same programs to backup my dvds as before. They seem to read CD's no problem but the DVD's dont come up and in device manager it says theyre working fine. Any ideas on what I can do.

A:Solved: DVD drives not reading DVDs

A quick way to test to see if its the drive or anything else is to try the drive in another computer - no software nneds be loaded for it to just recognize that a DVD disc is in the drive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-dvd-drives-not-reading-dvds.501953/
Relevancy 53.75%

I have drives installed in my pc One is a cd dvd-rw-drive read write drive D and the other one is an ordinary cd dvd-drive reader drive E Now to my problem reading cds is possible without problems in both drives burning something with drive E also shows no problems But if I want to read a dvd I wrote myself the drive shows no reaction in opening the details in the context menue I see that the drive shows me a used space of bytes as if the drive is empty This problem never occurs with original dvds neither movies nor games The first drive D at least changes its name from quot cd dvd-rw-drive quot to quot cd-drive quot and i can open the dvd which nevertheless shows no data whereas the second drive E does nothing If I try to open the dvd I receive the error message quot please insert disk in drive E quot This problem has already occured before with drive D sometimes but since both drives are affected now it hit the critical point My ignore my DVD-drives dvds! self-written because I saved some data to make some room on my harddisk but can t access it now Please help me someone Andy nbsp

A:My DVD-drives ignore my self-written dvds!

What kind and brand of media did you use? was it DVD-R, DVD+R or DVDRW? if it was DVDRW did you finalize the disk after burning?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-dvd-drives-ignore-my-self-written-dvds.50327/
Relevancy 53.32%

hello venerable ones please bear with me i ll try to summarize my problem i like to burn dvds i have nero ultra and AnyDVD decoder on an HP a n computer before i chose nero i downloaded alot Don't Disk Dvds Detect My Properly Drives of trial versions of various cloning programs most of which were pretty Disk Drives Don't Detect My Dvds Properly lousy i fear this may have something to do with my problem i m happily doing back ups when all of a sudden my HP drive doesn t detect a disk even though i just put one in doing a reboot didn t help tried different disks no luck CD s work Disk Drives Don't Detect My Dvds Properly but not DVD s i tried to update my HP drive by downloading an update from the lite-on website but i got this message no matched drive detected This utility is only for LITE-ON DVDRW SHW- H S drive Detected drive - - - E LITE-ON DVDRW SHW- H S CP much frustration follows so i took the plunge and bought a new external dvd rw drive i put the dvd in and it starts playing wonderful so i go to nero and proceed to burn everything goes fine until it s time to put in the blank disc then everything freezes up so i try putting in the original dvd again no disc detected i try another dvd this one starts but after about minutes it is Disk Drives Don't Detect My Dvds Properly no longer detected by windows or AnyDvd i have run spyware doctor a registry cleaner and ad-aware i tried going back to a previous restore point the problem was still there i uninstalled nero and am in the process of reinstalling it i don t usually do the forum thing but i m that desperate i m worried that one of the trial programs left a little gremlin or something that is confusing my computer my apologies mods if this is in the wrong area i ll download hijack this so i can get a log if needed the only good that s come out of this is that i was able to beat the pants off my final fantasy III DS game while i was waiting for stuff to download install i ve got to take the kids to school so i ll check back later any bit of help would be so appreciated

A:Disk Drives Don't Detect My Dvds Properly

http://smileygenerator.us/smileyletters/image.php?s=WELCOME%20TO%20BC&ext=.gif credit for Walkman for working over thepictureFirst are the media ( DVD's} you are using compatible with your drive? That could be an issueOtherwise your assumption that installing/uninstalling many burn programs could have faulted this could be very well be right.Please do the following :A)Download install and update CcleanerAfter installing and updating go to options - advanced and tick prompt for registry back upsNow Start up in safe modeDo two runs1) Click on problems and tick all. Click on analyse. At the end you will be prompted for storing a backup. This will be stored, as a default, in My documents.2) Click on cleaner click on analyse and accept all files to be removed.Go to My Computer Rightclick Propperties Hardware tab and take the upper radio button.Select the faulted drive press on delete and accept.Make sure you have downloaded and installed the latest drivers for this drive Now we are going to clean the remninants from previous Nero Installations[quote]Rename the folder "Ahead" in folder: C:\Program Files\Common Files\ into "Ahead_2". When reinstalling Nero, the folder "Ahead" will be created again. The Nero's DirectShow filters and Codecs will also be installed and registered again. As soon as the folder "Ahead" is once again created in the directory C:\ Program Files\Common files\ the directory "Ahead_2" can be erased. 2) Erase the contents of the following folder: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Ahead\NeroDigital C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Ahead\NeroRecode C:\Documents and Settings \"USERNAME"\Application Data\Ahead\NeroVision\NVFACache 3) Make sure that you have your Nero 7 serial number ready. The serial number is structured as follows: 1Cxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx. It can be found on a sticker on the jewel case. If Nero is installed on your computer the serial number can be found as follows: a) Open Nero StartSmart and go into Nero ProductCenter by clicking on the "Nero" logo in the top left corner. Click on the index box "Serial Numbers" to view the serial number. Alternatively, you can find the serial number in the Registry: Open the "Registry" by - clicking on ?Start? in Windows - clicking on ?Run? - typing in "regedit" into the field "Open" and verifying with "OK" The serial number is found in the following directory: HHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ahead\Installation\Families\Nero 7\Info - find the entry ?serial7? - double-click on ?serial7? - the serial number can be found here 4) The General CleanTool should be used before reinstalling Nero to completely remove all Nero entries from your computer. The General CleanTool can only be implemented if you are logged in as Administrator. Warning: all Nero plug-ins will be removed as well! Download the General-Cleantool from ftp://ftp9.nero.com/attach/General-CleanTool_7.zip and extract it on the hard drive by using WinZIP or WinRAR. Start the General-Cleantool by double-clicking on the .exe file. Choose > Clean All > Clean > Deinstallation of all Nero products. Restart the PC. All Nero entries in the Registry are erased. Afterwards, reinstall Nero by downloading the current Nero version http://www.nero.com/nero7/eng/nero7-demo.php DO NOT INSTALLReboot into normal mode , the "add hardware wizzard "will pop up and install your Drive.Now install Nero "with a clean slate "and try again"

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/83656/disk-drives-dont-detect-my-dvds-properly/
Relevancy 53.32%

Hi all I have this weird Win Win Disappearing optical of parts certain in 7 (DVDs) drives problem with my optical drives Both are DVD drives plextor DVD writer amp Asus DVD Blue Ray writer When I'm in Win Explorer both drives are non-existant they disappear When I'm in My Computer however both drives are present Attached are the screen caps that show this This Disappearing optical drives (DVDs) in certain parts of Win 7 all started after installing a new CPU cooler last week Before that I had no problems whatsoever with either drive This system's been running about two amp a half years now My System Win Pro Asus MoBo M A x w AMD CPU gb DDR RAM gb Nvidia GE Force ti by Asus in a PCIe x slot Western Digital tb drives black SATA III both single partitioned gb SSD SATA III originally single partitioned W mysteriously added a nd partition on a re-install drive E Plextor DVD drive SATA III Asus blue ray DVD drive SATA III When I ran WinRepair Tweaking com Wednesday I seen that it detected both optical drives as hidden so I made sure the boxes to unhide them were checked I was pleased I thought WR was going to fix my hidden drives problem Sadly though both drives were still hidden after rebooting Sadly I had to restore the registry Thursday due to a lag issue with my sound built-in on MoBo that appeared after running WR yesterday The sound lag disappeared after restoring the registry I ran WR with ALL recommendations which includes running it in safe mode I even had to learn how to go into Safe Mode on my system for the first time This should be a simple fix but I can't fix it Please help

A:Disappearing optical drives (DVDs) in certain parts of Win 7

By default Windows 7 hides a empty optical drive.  You can confirm if this is the case by inserting a disc in both drive, if this is the case both drives should now be visible.

You can change this to that the drive will always be visible by using the directions below.

1.  Click Start, Control Panel and then Tools.

2.  Click Folder options, and then select the View tab.

3.  Clear the Hide empty drives in the Computer folder check box and click OK.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/608360/disappearing-optical-drives-dvds-in-certain-parts-of-win-7/
Relevancy 53.32%

I dont get any sound from my cd/dvd drives when i put a dvd in. prolly b/c i dont have them configued properly, like if theres a setting in windows or device manager to tell to get sound from the drives. Any suggestions or ideas are welcome.
Thanks,
~Da Bob~

Relevancy 52.46%

I have about a plus DVDs from Indonesia about a dozen from New Zealand several from Croatia and from the US which I cant play Being an expat with a large international I move around quite a bit I have DVD drives on my computer This is what it says in my system Information Drive E Description CD-ROM Drive Name LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW- S Manufacturer Standard CD-ROM drives SCSI Regions? to Play Enable to How Drives from DVDs Multiple DVD Target ID PNP Device ID How to Enable DVD Drives to Play DVDs from Multiple Regions? IDE CDROMLITE-ON DVDRW SOHW- S KS B amp F F amp amp Driver c windows system drivers cdrom sys xpsp sp rtm - KB bytes Drive F Description CD-ROM Drive Name LHTD-NN CNMBO SNHB- J Manufacturer Standard CD-ROM drives SCSI Target ID PNP Device ID IDE CDROMLHTD-NN CNMBO SNHB- J SPK Driver c windows system drivers cdrom sys xpsp sp rtm - KB bytes For the LITE-ON drive the manual says that if a different region DVD is inserted it will automatically change region It also said there that it will do that times and then it will lock and I wont be able to use it any more What is the use of having a DVD drive if I cant use it coz I don t know which of my DVDs is from which region and just trying it will lock it The second drive is from a HP Compaq computer I bought for the kids and this one wont even recognize my DVDs Says no CD inserted The model ID on the drive sticker is SOHC- K Can I do something with these drives to be able to play DVDs from multiple regions nbsp

Relevancy 50.74%

Trying to make data disc like I used to do with Nero software. "Burn fails." Spits out the disc. Tried un-installing Nero and re-installing with OEM disc that came with my LiteOn burner. All DVDs in stores seem to be this 16x speed. Last ones I had were 8x, which worked fine. But I've used them all up so I can't try an 8x to see if it still works with 8x. The burner is described on its box as a 16x.

Any one else buy new 16x DVDs that don't work?

Would appreciate any help or ideas.

Relevancy 50.31%

I have been looking left right and centre for a solution but failed to find anything that could help me so far I am hoping you tech buffs can help me resolve my work or Autorun usb won't drives disc on PLEASE drives HELP! particular issue so on with the problem I insert a CD DVD disc into the disc drive and expect the pc PLEASE HELP! Autorun won't work on disc drives or usb drives to pick it up and offer me the autorun menu to see what I would have done with the media inserted therein After a bit of whirring nothing pops up Same thing with my USB drives A bit of whirring then nothing Also When I manually try to navigate through Windows Explorer and click upon the disc drive it brings up the option to format the disc in there I find that I can eject the disc and re-insert it and then select the drive and see the contents This is driving me insane Even my virtual drives do not autorun when images are mounted onto them PLEASE HELP with this and do not let my call for help sink to the bottom of the quot unattended help requests quagmire quot nb I am running Vista Ultimate x So please all solutions should take into consideration that the computer that has problems is on -bit architecture and not x nbsp

Relevancy 50.31%

I just recently built a new system running an Intel Q9550 quad core 8 GB of ram and Vista Home Premium x64. Everything works flawlessly except for connecting external hard drives and thumb drives through the usb port. I've tried multiple hard drives/thumb drives on multiple ports on the front and back with it working only once for the thumb drive. Usually Vista keeps sounding the device connect and device disconnect dongs for a few minutes and then every once in a while says the drive needs to be formatted, but the drives work fine on my Laptop that's running Vista Home Premium 32-bit. Is this a common problem with x64 or is there something wrong with my system?

thanx

A:USB hard drives/thumb drives to work

when I hook the usb thumb drive to the usb port on my printer, Vista recognizes it and lets me see the files on the drive, it also lets me copy a file to it but then freezes after it finishes copying (the copy window has a full progress bar and say "about 0 seconds remaining".

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/198621-usb-hard-drives-thumb-drives-work.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Hello everyone this is my first post DvDs Won't AutoPlay Work here My computer autoplays regular CDs but not DvDs It comes up with an explorer window displaying the Audio TS AutoPlay DvDs Won't Work and Video TS files I m running Windows XP with SP and the drive is AutoPlay DvDs Won't Work an HP d Blu-Ray combo This occured on my other drive which was a Lite On so I don t think it s the drive I ve tried the following fixes but none have worked Tried properties on the drive AutoPlay DvDs Won't Work from my computer didn t work HKEY LOCAL MACHINE System CurrentControlSet Services CD ROM Double click AutoRun and make sure the value is set to quot quot Tried this it s set to already HKLM Software Microsoft Windows NT CurrentVersion Winlogon allocatecdroms Tried this setting it to didn t work I tried going into the subkey NoDriveTypeAutoRun and setting the value to this didn t work either I search for drivers but I can t find any or cant find any better than what I have It had worked in the past and I vaguely remember installing some free version of Nero and then it not working Or it only would autoplay with Nero and nothing else then I un-installed the free Nero version and it did this I could be wrong though my memory of that is kind of hazy I actually use Nero now and like it a lot I m kind of at a loss Any help would be appreciated Thank you Jeff nbsp

Relevancy 50.31%

Unusually DVDs work fine on my computer It prompts me and I select Realplayer Sometimes it doesn don't the DVDs work. Some What's deal? t Some DVDs don't work. What's the deal? prompt me and I just open up Some DVDs don't work. What's the deal? RP and it works fine But some DVDs wont work at all When I try to access the drive it pops up with a message saying something like quot Cannot access The disk may be corrupted or is using a format incompatible with Windows quot Something like that But here s the thing When I put the DVD in my cheap DVD player it plays fine What s the deal with that I think the drive is a Toshiba DVD ROM Is there anyway to get around this There must be If my DVD player plays it my computer should be able to What am I doing wrong I downloaded AnyDVD I haven t bought the program yet but it s supposed to have an evaluation period Well it s running but the DVD still doesn t work I tried VLC player Realplayer and some other player It still wont play even with AnyDVD I would totally buy it if it worked but I don t want to buy something that isn t going to fix this Did I not set up AnyDVD right or do I need something else nbsp

A:Some DVDs don't work. What's the deal?

Here's what I think......

Assuming we're talking about DVDs encoded in DVD-Video format, (Standard you rent it at Blockbuster), the drive is probably defective. It doesn't take much misalignment to cause a drive to lock-up on a slightly off disc.
You're the first person I've run into that uses "Real Player" as a DVD player. What you run into most often is; WinDVD, Nero Showtime, and "PowerDVD". So, unless the newer copy protection schemes are causing the player lock-up, (a possibility) I would suspect the drive.

Thus far, I have had 3 of the Toshibas, none of which have impressed me.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/some-dvds-dont-work-whats-the-deal.102518/
Relevancy 49.88%

I made 5 recovery DVDs with AI Recovery on my Asus U43F Notebook.  I followed the direction precisely, but after the last DVD popped out and a window popped up saying that the recovery was successful, my computer restarted itself  >  "loading windows files" progress bar  >  "starting windows" symbol for Windows 7 64bit  >  then a grey screen with a mouse arrow and NOTHING!  no prompt, no windows, no taskbar, no right-click or anything to click, What do I do now?

A:[Help] Recovery DVDs didn't work

Your DVDs could be corrupted since your laptop was corrupted and when you made the DVDs are corrupted. You need to get an exact Asus  notebook with the exact version of Win7 of not infected system.If the beginning is crooked the end is crooked, GIGO (Garbage In, Garbage Out).

Option 2 leave factory defaults out and clean reinstall WIN7.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/501522/help-recovery-dvds-didnt-work/
Relevancy 49.88%

I cant play dvds or games that require video memory or a video card I could do everything until I reinstalled windows xp.

A:dvds dont work neither do games

Go HERE and read my post. A message for all newcomers.

Without knowing your system specs it`s hard to know what the cause of your problem is.

Have you installed the drivers for your videocard? Check in your device manager for any yellow exclamation, or question marks next to your display adapter.

Regards Howard

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dvds-dont-work-neither-do-games.28056/
Relevancy 49.02%

i just rebooted my computer and when i tried to play dvds on my computer the video worked on many different playeres but the audio didnt. I initially thought my speakers were faulty but when i put in an audio cd into the same drive it easily played it and everything worked fine. now i even tried my songs already stored on my computer and they worked. So now im really confused!im thinking why wouldnt it work. I did all i could think of! I even went into device manager looked up the drive and saw if it was working properly and it passed. i don't know if i need anything to download so that i can actually have audio working for watching dvds. And thats why im here. i am really stuck and would really appreciate your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!i really need it.

A:audio doesn't work when i'm playing Dvds

i found out that the problem was i needed an ac3 filter downloaded. i downloaded it and i can watch my video, but the video stops at points while the asudio keeps playing. i would reall appreciate any advice on this subject thank you

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/audio-doesnt-work-when-im-playing-dvds.576105/
Relevancy 49.02%

I can't get my head around this one.

I've not played an audio CD in a while, but I put one in today and it simply didn't work. The PC failed to recognise the CD was in the drive.

I thought it might be the CD and so tried another CD, and another, and one more for good measure - none worked.

I tried a DVD to see if it was the drive, the DVD worked fine. I tried a software CD, that was fine as well.

The drive is slightly old, from my previous PC which I upgraded in December/January. I've not tried a CD since and I'm wondering if the issue has been there all along.

Does anyone have any ideas?

A:Audio CDs Not Recognised - DVDs work fine.

Are they burned cd's? Try a retail audio cd bought at a store if you are trying a burned cd.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/audio-cds-not-recognised-dvds-work-fine-637448.html
Relevancy 49.02%

I tried to reinstall OS on my Vaio using retail 7SP1 DVD and VAIO's activation key (which I had to extract as it's not written on the system case). This didn't work. Perhaps I need to find Windows 7 (pre-SP1), or should I not even bother?

A:Do OEM activation keys always work with retail DVDs?

Quote:
Do OEM activation keys always work with retail DVDs?

They normally do not. You need the appropriate key.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/286941-do-oem-activation-keys-always-work-retail-dvds.html
Relevancy 48.59%

Computer Specs: AMD 2000+ 1.6Ghz, 512 MB Ram, 2 hard drives, one CD-RW drive and one DVD-Rom drive (Atapi 12x, set to Region 1)
Software used to play DVDs: Intervideo's WinDVD 2000

I haven't used my DVD-rom drive since November. I put a DVD in my DVD-Rom drive to watch it and nothing happened. I've viewed the DVD on my computer before. Through My Computer, I double-clicked on the DVD-Rom drive and got a message saying "Please insert a disc in drive E:" with only an option to cancel. This happened with four other DVDs as well. The DVDs I've tried to play have already been tested on other DVD standalone players and other DVD-Roms with no problems. Audio and Data CDs work fine on this particular drive. Device manager reports no errors.

Any suggestions?

Relevancy 48.59%

My sony-vaio desktop xp home sp has got two drives a DVD-ROM drive and a DVD -RW CD-RW drive The computer is years old and has always played back my CDs and DVDs without problems Until this morning I did not change my computer in any way or install deinstall anything Suddenly there is simply no sound when I try to play Solved: wrong? work! DVDs: CDs is and other sounds no sound! What But back DVDs in either drive with PowerDVD or with Windows Media Player The image is fine with DVDs - but no sound And if I try playing a CD in Windows Media Player I am told that there is a problem with the audio device - all the menus are in German so I am translating here But other sounds work streaming content mpeg- files computer sounds like e-mail notification etc My loudspeakers are plugged in well they ve got to be if the other sounds are Solved: CDs and DVDs: no sound! But other sounds work! What is wrong? okay What is wrong I checked under device manager but everything seems to be okay nothing is set on mute there seem to be no conflicts Can anyone help me And below is a snapshot of the audio devices on my computer they re indicated in German and there s no red cross or any other mark which may indicate that there s something wrong with them nbsp

A:Solved: CDs and DVDs: no sound! But other sounds work! What is wrong?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-cds-and-dvds-no-sound-but-other-sounds-work-what-is-wrong.754457/
Relevancy 48.59%

Any way to fix the coding on it or something? When i want to burn a dvd it brings me to use the nero vision 4 program, it works on certain dvd players but not all, is there any way of fixing this?

A:Burned dvds using nero wont work on certain dvd players

Make sure you are not creating a multi-session disk and ensure that you finalize the disc. Also dvd players have an easier time reading DVD+R than DVD-R.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/burned-dvds-using-nero-wont-work-on-certain-dvd-players.93194/
Relevancy 48.59%

Hello to anyone who can help me I work in IT so normally gone? not does floppy and DVD CD drives works, do the support for my family but this one has me stumped The description is a bit indepth but I m not sure where to go from here apart from a full reinstall which I don t want to do as apart from the problems described everything works fine Okay I have an unmodified Acer Travelmate LC with XP and Nero It has a DVD CD-RW combo drive and a floppy drive Basically the drive will read CDs most of the time although sometimes it will cause the computer to crash However it will CD works, DVD does not and floppy drives gone? not read DVDs and won t recognise any DVD discs I try The drive just spins and clicks but not as it normally should It will also start to burn some CDRs but not complete writing Also the the floppy drive on the computer is missing from the quot My Computer quot folder It started with some problems starting from the Hard Drive cause by a bad partition but I fixed that In the device manager there is an exclamation mark and the following error listed quot Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device Code quot There is also a quot Standard Floppy Disk Controller quot in the device manager which is quot Working properly quot It appeared about the same time the problem started I tried uninstalling this driver which leads to an immediate Blue screen of Death It resets before I can read anything I ve tried to start the PC in Safe mode but it seems to reboot at some point in the start up loading the drivers I think so I can only get it in normal mode I tried the Microsoft Support and under the following article quot Article ID quot found the following advice Under registry key HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SYSTEM CurrentControlSet Control Class D E -E CE-BFC - BE Delete quot Upperfilters quot and quot Lowerfilters quot I can see Upperfilter Which is VelFddNT but not any Lowerfilters I did what the article said and deleted the Upperfilters restarted to find the floppy disk reappeared but it still wouldn t work and now the CD Drive will not work at all I restored the value and the CD drive came back but no floppy So now what can I do I don t really care about the floppy drive but want the DVD and burner back Many thanks for reading and any help appreciated nbsp

A:CD works, DVD does not and floppy drives gone?

First, is this a Desktop or a Laptop? Personally I think the DVD drive is on it's way out and needs replaced. As for the Floppy drive, it is either lost a cable connection or is loose. That is if this is a Desktop. If it is a Laptop I still think the DVD drive is about dead and the floppy could need reseated or it may be bad as well.

DVD drives are fairly cheap these days and floppys aren't worth having anymore.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cd-works-dvd-does-not-and-floppy-drives-gone.593545/
Relevancy 48.59%

Hi all I am having an issue with communication between my Windows server and my RDP Networked drives works won't map, but workstation running Windows Enterprise I recent y moved both of these machines from one location to my current one The server is running Windows Server R and has three drives I Networked drives won't map, but RDP works need to map So when i moved both machines I kept the drives mapped in Windows but when i go to connect to them I Networked drives won't map, but RDP works eventually get an error saying that Windows cannot access So I tried dropping the mappings and doing them fresh but same error occurs The interesting this is I can RDP into the server form the workstation and vice versa without an issue I also can see the server in the Network drop down under Computer in Windows Explorer but when i click on that it says the same I have tried connecting using different credentials same thing I do have another computer at this location running Windows Enterprise in which i can map the server without a problem and likewise Networked drives won't map, but RDP works with a Mac running OSX Snow Leopard Server So this is beyond me why this is happening ANy help would be appreciated thanks

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d2d19f1f-8ffb-449c-9665-aa4c46a8c462/networked-drives-wont-map-but-rdp-works?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 48.59%

OK so I rebuilt my system yesterday and so everythings great other than I cannot get both my DVD-RW and DVD drives to work at the same time If I plug the power into both and plug both into the MB I cannot use either of them The system will not detect - works drives the one doesn't other DVD-RW/DVD and either drive If I unplug either the power or data cable from one then the other is detected and works fine It doesn t matter which I unplug the other will work they just won t work together During the rebuild I installed the following MB Asus P W HD Deluxe CPU Intel Core Quad MEM G Skill x GB PSU Xion W The DVD-RW and DVD drives are both from Lite-On if someone needs the model I ll have to pull the drive and get it Don t remember those off hand Both drives are cable select I did DVD-RW/DVD drives - one works and the other doesn't check that and the jumpers are correct Any ideas on what my problem might be Thanks nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dvd-rw-dvd-drives-one-works-and-the-other-doesnt.670348/
Relevancy 46.87%

1st drive solid state w/ os on it 2nd drive sata, works with solid state by its self but when I install 2nd drive it says can't find OS its a HP dv9000 lap top( 2nd drive reformatted)message edited by guy-one

A:have a HP laptop w/2 drives works great till I reinstall 2nd

Go into the bios after you I install 2nd drive, go to Boot & make sure the SS drive boots first.

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-8/have-a-hp-laptop-w2-drives-works-great-till-i-reinstall-2nd/1606.html
Relevancy 46.44%

Hi to all,
I recently bought a Scan internal card reader, installed it, my PC recognized it, installed the drivers automatically, also a windows update was available for the card, installed everything & seems to work fine. The reader recognizes all the cards i give it including the USB, however I cannot manage to see the usual removable drives an internal card reader usually displays when it is attached to the PC.

The drive only appears when a card is inserted, is this normal?

Thanks for your help..

A:Solved: Internal Card reader works but does not show drives...

That's not 100% normal, but that's even better than the usual 4 drives hanging around for no reason in the Computer window... I think so, at least. If the reader works, don't worry about it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-internal-card-reader-works-but-does-not-show-drives.818261/
Relevancy 45.15%

Hi All,

I am running Windows 8.1 pro. When i try to access a network location on another AD Domain (Non trusted), I get the below error.

Once i add the above path as network drive in My computer it gets mapped and works, Then if i access the path from run it works.
I have tried by FQDN and IP both don't work in Run window.
Can any one assist in finding what is the issue and how do i solve it.

Gautam.75801

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e1e3edc3-19e8-4ca8-b613-f68218333ab4/unable-to-access-shared-drives-located-in-other-domains-via-run-window-but-works-when-we-map-as-a?forum=w8itpronetworking
Relevancy 45.15%

I have used successfully a method of dischargng static build up from RAM chips (and posted about it as well) but this time the RAM works for about a minute and then the PC does not load anything thing.

i let the PC cool down, discharge RAM, works and then the same happens.

how do i discharge static build up from the RAM slots?
is the RAM chip gone for good?
any hints?

A:RAM works for a while then does not work at all.

How have you determined the problem to be static buildup? Have you checked the motherboard capacitors?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ram-works-for-a-while-then-does-not-work-at-all.987029/
Relevancy 45.15%

My computer will play DVD burned on disc, but will not play the ones I buy from the store. It used to. Now it won't even recognize they're there.

A:Computer won't recognize original DVDs; Will recognise 'burnt' DVDs

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-wont-recognize-original-dvds-will-recognise-burnt-dvds.987094/
Relevancy 44.72%

We are trying to help out a friend here, and hoping someone can point us in the right direction.

We need to create a database, preferably a works database, because that's the program both of us have. What we need to do is collect statistics at the end of the day, and save all the results to one database. At the end of the year, we need to be able to go back in and total all occurrences of a particular statistic and combinations of certain statistics together.

I am TOTALLY GREEN in this area...can anyone help?? All suggestions are greatly appreciated....if more info is needed, please let me know!

TIA

TT

A:Will a works database work?

Works will only "work" if it has an actual database like Access to enter your data into. You can set up one database and enter the data there directly. If you are on a network you can share the database and have forms set up for data entry. If you are in different locations you could use some kind of program like PCAnywhere and the remote person could dial in and do data entry on the database. There are way too many options so you might want to give us soem kind of idea on what your setup is and how to accomplish it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/will-a-works-database-work.63091/
Relevancy 44.72%

Well we had our first classes this week for the unemployed IT people in Northern ABC.com Works with under Website work NOT ABC.COM WWW. only WILL California and it was very successful Thanks to this support group for lending our growing group a hand NEW PROBLEM We wanted to Website WILL NOT work under WWW. ABC.COM Works only with ABC.com make a website on our Windows Enterprise Server so we installed the IIS and net and laoded the website into the default directory WE resolved our nameserver after hours of waiting and now we have a strange problem We can access the website from abctraining com BUT NOT www abctraining com What could be the problemin our setup Thanks for your help SIDEBAR HELP We have had some great ideas come our way this week If your trying to build a website we found out some really cool short-cuts that you might not know about so maybe we can help each other out if your interested Would be great to help you forum members out as well My email is email protected --- Gary nbsp

A:Website WILL NOT work under WWW. ABC.COM Works only with ABC.com

All the www is is an alias in IIS and you can change it to anything you like. You also need to set your name server to resolve to the www.abc.com not just ABC.COM

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/website-will-not-work-under-www-abc-com-works-only-with-abc-com.171019/
Relevancy 44.29%

Thread title pretty much sums it up: CTRL-A disabled, CTRL Key Works, A Key Works, Other CTRL-combos work. I use CTRL-V, CTRL-C, CTRL-Z, etc all the time.

CTRL-A has never worked for me, in any application. Instead of selecting all, CTRL-A pastes, the same as CTRL-V, only when you use CTRL-A, in addition to pasting, it also makes a system sound, kind of like a knock sound. Out of desperation to identify the sound I looked control panel sounds and listened to all of them, it's not there.

I've never really needed CTRL-A until now because I'm wanting to use a specific application that has no other way to select all except CTRL-A, so I'm now desperate...

Any help will be much appreciated.

A:CTRL-A disabled, CTRL Key Works, A Key Works, Other CTRL-combos work

Hello Dave mate have you run either of these

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/433-disk-check.html< if necessary include the /f and /r in the command line as per Option2
if not do them in safe mode and see if that fixes the problem.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/378522-ctrl-disabled-ctrl-key-works-key-works-other-ctrl-combos-work.html
Relevancy 43.86%

Hi,

I have just been given an Asus laptop as a present, it is running Windows 8. I have a copy of Works 7 from a previous machine and wondered if it would work on the Windows 8 laptop?

Thanks,

Gerald

A:Will Works 7 work on a Windows 8 machine?

I would not even bother. It is not even a supported package by Microsoft. I would not be surprised if Microsoft did not incorporate something into the Windows 8 code to keep their discontinued software from being able to be installed. Works 7 was for Windows 98, Works 9 is the last one that could possibly work with Windows 8.

If you want a word processor, etc, but do not want to pay the cost for Office. Download Open Office from openoffice.org.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/54022-will-works-7-work-windows-8-machine.html
Relevancy 43.86%

I hope this is the right section to ask this question in. I'm a big newbie.
I'm having an issue that I have no clue how to solve. There is a specific webpage that I try to view at home with my laptop, and it never loads on Chrome and Firefox, but does on Explorer. But when I take the same laptop to work or school, it does load that website on all browsers. I also have a desktop that stays home, and has the same problem. Its so strange. I don't know if it's a network thing, or an facebook app thing.

I've tried re-installing Chrome, deleting all cookies and caches, disabling all extensions or plugins, and updating Flash and Java. Any ideas?

Mod Note: Facebook game link removed, you are too new to be trusted fully. Problem m ay be solvable without the exact game anyway.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/website-works-at-work-not-home.201025/
Relevancy 43.86%

Originally I had an explorer exe error which relates to spyware I have followed the instruction from a friend who is a computer technician he suggested me using the following Internet work but no works, browsers program - Pandasoftware's online activescan - Ad Aware - Spybot Search amp Destroy - Spywareblaster - SpywareDoctor After I have run these programs several times in XP safe mode there are many spywares caught and cleaned However the real issue is this When I Internet works, but no browsers work went back into normal windows mode my browsers don't work both IE and firefox I checked my internet connection checked my msn they all work I even went to test my brother's computer to see if the connection has any problem So after telling my friend about this he suggested me to come here and seek help I'm currently typing this thread under safe mode if anyone is wondering Weird my browser works when i'm in safe mode but not in normal mode Does anyone have ideas on what's happening Please help me out

A:Internet works, but no browsers work

Download HiJackThis - this program will help determine if there's any malware on your computer.

1. Double-click on the file you just downloaded.

2. Click on the "Unzip" button to install the newer version.

3. It will by default install to the directory - C:\Program Files\HiJackThis\

4. If it gives you an intro screen, just choose - Do a system scan and save a logfile.

5. If you don't get the intro screen, just hit [Scan] and then click on Save log.

6. Post the HiJackThis.log file

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/internet-works-but-no-browsers-work-96829.html
Relevancy 43.86%

I tried uninstalling ie7 and using ie6 - still not working
I reinstalled ie7 - Still not working
Firefox can get to everything so it is not a network problem.

I cleared the cahch and deleted all temp internet files. I also ran a malware remover. I disabled and re-enabled my firewall- still no luck
Please help!!

A:IE7 does not work but firefox works perfectly.

How is it now working?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f56/ie7-does-not-work-but-firefox-works-perfectly-200048.html
Relevancy 43.86%

Hello some days my Internet works and other times then doesn't work.... Internet works, it doesn't My kids used my computer for a couple of days and pehaps they visited a lot of pages I wouldn't have I have run Norton I have run Ad Aware HiJack This and HiJack This Analyzer The following are the results Basically I would like to remove things that you think would help my machine's performance and just make it feel better I'm running XP Internet works, then doesn't work.... Athlon HP Pavilion zv laptop Internet works, then doesn't work.... and the machine is relatively new Thank you very much for your help Keith Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccSetMgr exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared SNDSrvc exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared SPBBC SPBBCSvc exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccEvtMgr exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS Microsoft NET Framework v aspnet admin exe C Program Files Norton AntiVirus navapsvc exe C Program Files Norton AntiVirus IWP NPFMntor exe C WINDOWS system nvsvc exe C Program Files Analog Devices SoundMAX SMAgent exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared CCPD-LC symlcsvc exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared Security Center SymWSC exe C Program Files Apoint K Apoint exe C WINDOWS AGRSMMSG exe C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe C Program Files HPQ Quick Launch Buttons EabServr exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Distillr Acrotray exe C Program Files MusicMatch MusicMatch Jukebox mmtask exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files iPod bin iPodService exe C Program Files Nikon NkView NkvMon exe C Program Files Apoint K Apntex exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Windows System Notepad exe C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe C hjt HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http www free fr search R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www excite com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http home free fr O - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO no name - - F - D - - D F - C PROGRA SPYBOT SDHelper dll O - BHO no name - C B A - DB - A -A CB-D BBFEB - no file O - BHO Ipswitch WsftpBrowserHelper - ED -FB C- D - D - DA B - C Program Files Ipswitch WS FTP Pro wsbho k dll O - BHO AcroIEToolbarHelper Class - AE CD -E - f- - EE - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Acrobat AcroIEFavClient dll O - BHO NAV Helper - BDF E -B - AD-A -FADC B - C Program Files Norton AntiVirus NavShExt dll O - Toolbar Norton AntiVirus - CDD BF- FFB- - AD - DF B D - C Program Files Norton AntiVirus NavShExt dll O - Toolbar Adobe PDF - -D C - - FA - E EAAC - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Acrobat AcroIEFavClient dll O - HKLM Run Apoint C Program Files Apoint K Apoint exe O - HKLM Run AGRSMMSG AGRSMMSG exe O - HKLM Run NvCplDaemon RUNDLL EXE C WINDOWS system NvCpl dll NvStartup O - HKLM Run nwiz nwiz exe install O - HKLM Run Cpqset C Program Files HPQ Default Settings cpqset exe O - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateSched C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe O - HKLM Run UpdateManager quot C Program Files Common Files Sonic Update Manager sgtray exe quot r O - HKLM Run iTunesHelper C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe O - HKLM Run QuickTime Task quot C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe quot -atboottime O - HKLM Run eabconfg cpl C Program Files HPQ Quick Launch Buttons EabServr exe Start O - HKLM Run ccApp quot C Program Files Common Files Sy... Read more

A:Internet works, then doesn't work....

I don't see any malware in that log. HijackThis doesn't see everyting out there these days....let's have you run an online scan and see if anything lurks.

Perform an online scan with Internet Explorer with

Kaspersky Online Scanner

Next Click on Launch Kaspersky Online Scanner

You will be prompted to install an ActiveX component from Kaspersky, Click Yes.The program will launch and then begin downloading the latest definition files:
Once the files have been downloaded click on NEXT
Now click on Scan Settings
In the scan settings make that the following are selected:Scan using the following Anti-Virus database:
Standard
Scan Options:
Scan Archives
Scan Mail Bases

Click OK
Now under select a target to scan:Select My Computer

This will program will start and scan your system.
The scan will take a while so be patient and let it run.
Once the scan is complete it will display if your system has been infected.Now click on the Save as Text button:

Save the file to your desktop.
Copy and paste that information in your next post.
Take note the names and locations of any file it detects but fails to clean.

* Turn off the real time scanner of any existing antivirus program while performing the online scan

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/internet-works-then-doesnt-work-75174.html
Relevancy 43.86%

Ok so I purchased and downloaded the quot Quick D Carousel works Swf help? please won't online work but - offline, AS quot from UltraShock www ultrashock com When I view the swf on my local machine it works just as it should But when I upload it to the server only the background on it works none of the images in the carousel work All of the images defined in the xml file are uploaded to the proper place on the server the xml Swf works offline, but won't work online - please help? file is uploaded where it s supposed to be but online it just won t work I have been looking online for days and I ve seen a zillion posts on this but can t seem to find a solution that works for me I have uploaded the swf in both ascii and binary with no luck have checked the export settings in Flash with no luck I am stumped and would REALLY REALLY REALLY appreciate some help from someone I am about to pull my hair out I uploaded the files to my server You can download it at http www walstonet com mccallsa new carousel zip To view the swf online in the php page go to http www walstonet com mccallsa new The swf is placed in the box under the logo As you can see the swf loads but the images don t On a separate note I am not a Flash wiz but I am usually ok at editing already created files not too great at starting from scratch and would really like to figure out how to change the speed of this carousel to be a little slower Unfortunately unlike other carousels I have downloaded the speed is not controlled in the xml file but I would imaging the fla file itself Can anyone help me figure out how to change the speed in the file I have looked all over in the scripting in the fla and can t see where to change it Any help with that would also be greatly appreciated Hope to hear from someone soon Oh BTW I am using Flash CS if that helps Thanks so much nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/swf-works-offline-but-wont-work-online-please-help.927159/
Relevancy 43.86%

i have been having the same or similar problem. it started last week. I am able to connect and surf the web from my home network, but cannot surf on any other connection.

I stay in hotels quite often and have not been able to access webpages on any of their internet connections. niether wireless or wired work. I can get an ip from their router but when i open internet explorer after about a minute I only get "Page cannot be displayed" no matter what address i type in. same results at 3 different hotels.

I am able to ping websites (www.yahoo.com, www.google.com......) in the command prompt. but still nothing in internet explorer.

As soon as I get home I connect and can view webpages no problem.

let me know if you come up with a solution.

A:Laptop works at home but not at work.

Even though it appears you're having the same problem, please start a new thread when you have a new issue. It's very difficult to keep two problems straight and who's working on what in a single thread.

I've created a new thread for your issue here.

Thanks for your cooperation.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-works-at-home-but-not-at-work.538646/
Relevancy 43.86%

The Bluetooth BT mouse of my laptop with build-in BT module seems to work just does why work? .... Bluetooth it works, mouse but fine However I don't understand why the Bluetooth mouse works because in the Controlpanel Network and Internet Network Connections the Adapter Bluetooth Device Personal Area Bluetooth mouse works, but .... why does it work? Network is DISABLED On the other hand in Device Manager- gt Bluetooth Radios there are two entries Bluetooth Module Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator MBE If I disable only the MBE then the BT mouse stops working If I disable Bluetooth mouse works, but .... why does it work? the Bluetooth Module then MBE disappears all together and the mouse stops working too So it is the MBE that controls the mouse but what is then the relationship between the MBE and the Bluetooth Adapter in Controlpanel Network And Internet Network Connections Are MBE and the Bluetooth Adapter in Network Connections two parallel Bluetooth structures stacks alongside each other Or does the Bluetooth Adapter sits on a higher level and get access to the Bluetooth hardware module of the laptop through the two Bluetooth Radio entries in Device Manager I've been reading about the OSI model and trying to figure out what Bluetooth components in Windows sit where exactly in the OSI model but it remains fuzzy to me how Bluetooth Device Manager components relate to the Bluetooth Network Adapter Can anyone shed some more light on the relationship between the Bluetooth Device Manager components and the Bluetooth Adapter Any info about websites or docs with some in-depth content about the relationship could help too Thanks in advance johan

A:Bluetooth mouse works, but .... why does it work?

Hi,

I see you didnt get a reply.

As far as I remember The connection listed on the network connections page as Blue tooth Pan is a Network Connection allowing you to connect to the internet say via a smart fone or other bluetooth enabled device with an internet connection.

Blue devices such as a mouse or keyboard are listed on the devices page

Hope this helps

Thelaptopguru

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/311474-bluetooth-mouse-works-but-why-does-work.html
Relevancy 43.86%

hi,

After two days of trying to install 7 pro 64. I worked out that by removing 2gb of ram I was able to install 7 without any problems. Before it would take hours and then eventually give up. If i try to add the other 2gb stick of ram it hangs at the windows logo.

Ive tried 7 32 bit and that worked fine with 4gb. Also vista 64 bit and that was fine also.

Any suggestions?

2.4ghz dual core, corsair ram, asus pn532 something, 1tb sata

A:Works fine with 2gb but doesnt work at all with 4gb?

We are discussing this already, as we have many times. Have a look.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit doesn't support 4GB RAM?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/31313-works-fine-2gb-but-doesnt-work-all-4gb.html
Relevancy 43.86%

Hey,
I have an Aspire One netbook that I use that connects with ethernet lan at home no problem. At work it still says it's connected "excellent" but I get no internet service.

The only difference this amateur has noticed is that an "Internet Gateway" icon opens at home, that doesn't here (in Network Connections).

All my friends use hte net on their laptops just fine. is there anything I can check? Any way to know if my computer is blocking the connection?

Thanks in advance

Relevancy 43.86%

I posted this on the Vista board without getting any replies http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vista/1058318-code-runs-window-7-wont.html

Anyone able to make some suggestions as to why it works perfectly on Win 7 desktop but not on laptop with Vista?

Pedro

A:Code that works on Win 7 does not work on Vista

You did get a reply and it was less than 24 hours after the original posting. Please do not start more than one thread for the same issue. I've closed this thread and moved the other one over to the Business Applications forum.

If you don't receive a reply within 24 hours (NOT before) you can post a reply with the word "bump" that will bump your thread back up to the top where it's more likely to be seen.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/code-that-works-on-win-7-does-not-work-on-vista.1058404/
Relevancy 43.86%

Just to let you guys know, I'm new so forgive any mistakes.

The title says it all.

I get a replacement GPU (GT240) because my first GPU stopped working. The first time I install the card, nothing comes up on the monitor so I plug my D-Sub cable back into my integrated graphics. I download the new drivers. I restart my computer and what do you know my gpu works. All this was done at night by the way. The next day when I wake up, I turn on my computer. Nothing appears on my screen. I still have D-Sub plugged into my gpu. On the monitor it says "no signal".

I should enough power. I have a 450w Corsair PSU.
My first GPU (actually second) was a GIGABYTE GT 240 1GB DDR3
The replacement is an ASUS (they didn't have another GIGABYTE card) GT 240 1GB DDR3

A:New Graphics, Works Once, Doesn't Work Again!

Uninstall all existing drivers and display devices in device manager and add or remove programs. Download driver sweeper and run in windows normal and safe mode. Reinsert new graphics card and go to nvidia's website to download newest drivers.

Good luck!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-graphics-works-once-doesnt-work-again.145652/
Relevancy 43.86%

what causes a Website Not To Work when other Websites Work, but Your Internet Works???

A:Website Won't Work, But Internet Works

That web site is down.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/website-wont-work-but-internet-works-464748.html
Relevancy 43.86%

I'm running Windows XP, Service Pack 3, 2002 version, Internet Explorer 8. Whenever I try and run Internet Explorer, it says that it can't display the page, for whatever reason, suggesting I diagnose connection problems. I've uninstalled all the toolbars I can find, but that doesn't help a bit. Yet I can properly browse the internet perfectly fine with Firefox 3.5.

It's worth noting two things: I recently had a virus infect the computer, posing as antispyware, which I had to wrestle with for an entire morning before Spybot S&D got rid of it. The second is that the MSHTML.DLL (when i use the command regsvr32 mshtml.dll in the Run window) "loads, but the DLLRegisterServer entry point was not found. This file can not be registered."

Is there anything I can do about this? Any more information you might need?

A:IE8 won't work, but Firefox works fine

I actually fixed the problem myself:

I went to 'Internet Options' -> 'Connections' -> 'LAN Settings' -> and unchecked the proxy server option. Worked like a charm. (however, I think this is only for some types of internet connections. As in, it might not work for everyone, but probly will)

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f56/ie8-wont-work-but-firefox-works-fine-439186.html
Relevancy 43.86%

Hello

My mic wont work on my computer. I got an external mic and creative sb x-fi sound card. The mic worked perfect on my laptop (running win7) where it got recognized at once. When I plug it in on my soundcard i look at the sound settings I see " Microphone, creative sb x-fi, standardenhet". When i plugged it in on the laptop it said like" Microphone, external blablabal" I've downloaded the latest drivers , tested my mic in all plugs ( on the front of comp too) but nothin seems to work. In teh sound settings it never change from "Microphone, creative sb x-fi, standardenhet" when i connect mic. It's like it dont even recognize the mic.
what to do?
Ty for help!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/mic-wont-work-win-7-works-laptop.977844/
Relevancy 43.86%

Hi friends.........
My Prob is that in my pc , only internet explorer waorks but google chrome and firefox does not works.
m in problem
please help me as soon as possible...
when i try to open a page through chrome or firefox,, then windows appears that shows chrome or firefox cant locate the address ..

A:Only IE Works, bt chrome , firefox dsn't work.

With firefox make sure File/Work online is checked.

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/104325-only-ie-works-bt-chrome-firefox-dsnt-work.html
Relevancy 43.86%

Hi I have the HP Pavilion C Last week I went to access my M cd-rom drive and I went to My Computer and I couldn t access either the M drive or N drive Both cd drives N is the cdrw drive The icons for both drives did not appear but nothing else was wrong I tried restarting it and I still couldn t access them The next day I turned it on and everything was perfectly fine allowing me to access both drives Then today I turned on the computer and before Windows loaded I got a message saying quot Back up hard drive drive immediately Fireball quot Then it said quot Press F to continue quot I pressed F and got this message quot No operating system quot Help!!- N:\ M:\ drives work!! and My don't Then the computer shut Help!!- My M:\ and N:\ drives don't work!! down by itself I waited a few minutes turned it back on again and it started up fine without any problems Since then I used MS Dos to scan the hard drive It scanned Help!!- My M:\ and N:\ drives don't work!! all files in hours and found no infected files Then I tried to load a cd from my M drive and I had the same problem as before I tried restarting the computer but it didn t work and I still can t access the M or N drives It seems like my cd drives just don t exsist Please help asap Thanks Jason nbsp

A:Help!!- My M:\ and N:\ drives don't work!!

That Fireball error is coming from the diagnostics built into your hard drive (A Quantum Fireball) - it isn't kidding around.

Get the diagnostic "Data Protection System" from Quantum's site:
http://www.quantum.com/support/csr/software/csr_software.htm

Based on your warning message, it will probably give you an error code and tell you to contact Quantum for a replacement drive.

It is quite possible that the problem with your drive is causing trouble on the IDE channel, so your CDROMs are not accessing correctly.

------------------
Get free stuff and help out a poor computer tech

http://www.rkfdcore.com/ebaypics/referrals.htm

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-my-m-and-n-drives-dont-work.34224/
Relevancy 43.86%

hello all!

I have a question for you.
I have a compaq computer with a celron running Win 98
Problem is that neither the cd rom drive or the cd burner will work anymore?
They both quit at the same time.
You put the cd in you can hear it start then nothing. Same for both drives.
The rest of the computer seems to work ok.
Internet, Word etc
Could this be a problem with the secondary IDE?
How could I test this to find out what it may be.

Thanks
Dale

A:No Cd rom Drives work?

Watch the first and second sreens during boot. Are they listed there?

Have you checked the bios to make sure they are set to auto to detect the drives?

If they do not show on boot and the bios is ok, check in device manager to see if they show a problem there, such as a yellow ! or ?.

Do they show in My Computer? If so right click on drive, choose properties, Does it show it working there?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/no-cd-rom-drives-work.123239/
Relevancy 43.86%

All of a sudden both DVD drives don't work. I tried uninstall/reinstall but no go. In device manager, they both have yellow ! next to name.

They are: IDE-DVD ROM 16x and RICOH DVD+RW MP5240A

The message in the troubleshooting window says the following:
Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

Any help would be appreciated.

A:DVD Drives don't work

Have a look at this thread. Read down a bit as 'sergios' post seems to have fixed them all.

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1073052491

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dvd-drives-dont-work.532365/
Relevancy 43.86%

So, i had a problem last week with my drives not working (internal ones) and so i went out and bought a new External drive. So i went out and bought a Sony DVD+-R drive (DRX-810UL) I plugged it in via USB 2.0, and it wont work either? The computer recognizes it like my internals and the lights go and everything, but i cannot access it? i get the same kinda error i do for my internal ones, anyone have any idea how to fix this? thxx

The error i get is this....

any help is much appreciated, thanks guys =)

Relevancy 43.86%

Hello,
All was working well with my laptop until I plugged in a USB hub (with it's own power supply) which then blew up when I turned it on.....

Now, none of the 4 USB drives on my computer work. However, in the device manager, they all appear to be working fine.

Any suggestions appreciated.

A:How do I get my USB drives to work again??

Ohh things blown' up. That must have been exciting! Chances are that your USB ports will never work again without a new motherboard for your laptop. Now, I'm assuming that you have already restarted your laptop a couple of times and the USB ports still don't work!

Did you mean USB drives or USB ports? I assumed ports. USB drives are usually metal or plastic boxes containing hard drives connected to your computer through your USB ports.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-i-get-my-usb-drives-to-work-again.88476/
Relevancy 43.86%

My computer dosen't recognise either of my cd-dvd rw drives anymore, they were working yesterday...

I put many different disks in both and I can here them spinning, but I still get 'insert disc'.

windows explorer dosen't register them either...

I've tried system restore and now I'm getting 'found new hardware', and the drivers can't be found, even online.

Virus maybe, McAfee didn't find anything....

Help!!!

A:Help, both my cd-dvd rw drives don't work

A couple of things you can try.

1 Try a different ide cable. They have been known to go bad.

2 Uninstall all your optical drives from device manager(if they are there) and reboot your computer. Windows will automatically reinstall the drivers.

Regards Howard

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-both-my-cd-dvd-rw-drives-dont-work.45233/
Relevancy 43.86%

My five .... They Work? PC new 8 Win Should Drives Win in 7 year old HP Pavilion crashed Win 7 Drives in new Win 8 PC .... Should They Work? with virtually no signs of life although the GB drives are only months old and are spinning when startup is attempted No messages of any kind on the display I checked the display and it is good Bought a new HP but it has Windows All my backup data is via Norton Ghost Windows and is intact on a TB external Passport drive I need to figure out how to retrieve this data A suggestion was made to just install the old Win hard drive in place of the Win hard drive in the new computer New computer can't accommodate both old Win hard drives so I stuck the C in it per normal containing the startup and OS files The computer would not boot from this drive and delivered an error message to the effect quot No bootable disk or drive has failed quot So the question is would there be anything in Win 7 Drives in new Win 8 PC .... Should They Work? the BIOS of the new PC which would make it expect to see Win Any ideas on why it wouldn't boot from this drive I realize the drive could be bad but given the age of the drive it seems unlikely

A:Win 7 Drives in new Win 8 PC .... Should They Work?

Bios does not care which OS is on the HDD as long it has a boot sector and BIOS points to it as the first boot device. If I understand right, you had those 2, 320 GB drives in the old Pavilion. One of them had Win7 installed on it. As your new Pavilion has space for only one drive you replaced that one with with one of those 320s and it would not recognize or boot from it ? Did you try another one ? When you have 2 HDDs sometimes windows install themselves on one drive with the boot sector on another one.
Now you say that you backed up on the Passport using Norton ghost, You probably backed up whole disk or partition. Can't you install Ghost on the Win8 and use it to retrieve contents from Passport ? As long as you do not restore operating system to C: drive and ruin Win8 installation, you should be able to retrieve just the data you want from it.
Alternatively, you could get an SATA to USB adapter to connect those 2 320GB drives and use them for storage and backup and maybe even to boot from one of them by pointing BIOS to USB as first boot device. Something like this :
Google резултати слика за http://www.coolgear.com/images/USBG-U2IDES133.jpg
or something like this :
Amazon.com: SATA/PATA/IDE Drive to USB 2.0 Adapter Converter Cable for 2.5/3.5 Inch Hard Drive / Optical Drive with External AC Power Adapter: Computers & Accessories

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/29345-win-7-drives-new-win-8-pc-should-they-work.html
Relevancy 43.86%

The cd and dvd drives operate but won't read any disks that I put in there. I uninstalled and installed but it didn't help.

A:CD/DVD drives won't work on my XP

Go to the Device Manager do you see a yellow mark next to CD/DVD drives? If so then you need to delete the Upper and Lower filters in the Registry. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cd-dvd-drives-wont-work-on-my-xp-382093.html
Relevancy 43.86%

I have two drives one is a CD burner/ DVD reader, the other is a DVD/ burner. I have windows XP pro as the OS.
My problem is whenever I try and open a CD or a DVD I get the following message D or F:\ is not accessible Incorrect function or it opens a window like I am going to copy files to a blank disk. When I try and run a game most of the time it runs fine. Every now and again I get a message when booting saying that windows has recovered from a serious error when I do the error report it says that I have a driver conflict. If I go to look at my device manager nothing out of the ordinary is soon.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/both-my-cd-dvd-drives-dont-work.265679/
Relevancy 43.86%

These drives used to be recognized, but aren't anymore, and I went ahead and uninstalled the drivers and removed there entries from the registries, but now I can't seem to find the drivers for them at all and I don't know where to look-- I've checked driver guide. The models are Samsung CD-Rom SC-140C and Toshiba DVD-Rom SD-R5002. The message pops up for bot of them and says "Found new hardware...", but doesn't install the drivers.

Relevancy 43.86%

Hi.
i have had this problem since about a month after my PC.
the disk drive will only recognise a disk if i put it in before i boot up the PC.
i think this is a hardware conflict maybe but am not sure how to verify that it is or find what it is conflicting with .
please reply with any idea's you have on how to fix this!!
Thanks!
_

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/none-of-my-dvd-drives-work-even-after-new-one.937003/
Relevancy 43.86%

Greetings Recently I noticed that I could not read DVD discs in my DVD-RW drive It DVD-RW just work! drives won't would always read audio CDs Sometimes it will read a data CD sometimes it won't It will not read anything from a DVD disc Now keep in mind this is after booting into Win XP SP In quot My Computer quot Win XP SP lists the drive as a DVD-RAM DVD-RW drives just won't work! drive I can boot from any CD or DVD before Windows loads with one minor exception The Windows Vista install DVD The installer will load but at a very DVD-RW drives just won't work! very very sluggish pace Eventually though I get an error about it not being able to find drivers for the disc drive However an OpenSUSE dvd install disc works just fine I did not get a chance to install openSUSE This drive was a Lite-On I swapped it out for a Sony DRU- A I am still unable to read DVDs but can boot from them I have two IDE hard drives on one channel I have the DVD-RW drives just won't work! DVD-RW drive on the second channel I swapped the channels and the drive still behaves the same I replaced the drive with old CD and DVD reader drives Those drives work fine I have attached logs from Sony's DriveCheck program This program was able to write a DVD but not read it Any help or ideas on what might be happening would be greatly appreciated

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/dvd-rw-drives-just-wont-work-205290.html
Relevancy 43.86%

I have a regular CD drive and then a CD/DVD drive and neither one will read any disks. If I put something in, it will usually autorun, but it doesn't so I tried manually doing it, and it says the drive isn't accessible. Any help is appreciated...

Relevancy 43.86%

I have a Mashita 842s DVD-RAM superdrive in my Toshiba M400 notebook. I am running XP w/SP3. I don't recall whether or not in the past I've tried to play movie dvds on it using such as WinDVD and Windows Media Player 11. However, recently I've had the need to do so. Unfortunately, although data DVDs (both those I've burned myself and software discs) and audio cds can be read without a problem, movie dvds are not recognized as even being in the drive. The lack of recognition includes Windows Explorer, WinDVD and Windows Media Player. Because the other type of discs work fine, I'm assuming this a software or configuration problem. I've used both Windows and a third party utility and both say the driver(s) are the most recent. I would appreciate any and all assistance in diagnosing and correcting this problem. Thanks.

Relevancy 43.43%

Hi I have a move pressing not Touchpad - does work works problem with my touchpad on WIndows x on device Asus EEBook X TA Everything worked fine Touchpad move does not work - pressing works until I pressed some combination of keys which led to make the touchpad unusable Pressing works fine but pointing does not Strange is that pointing Touchpad move does not work - pressing works works only if I press the touchpad while leaving the touchpad pressed --- gt gt gt so you have to keep touchpad pressed to move with cursor It almost looks like Ii have switched to some tablet mode of touchpad This thing never happened to me and I am totally lost since it cannot be solved by rebooting and even by setting default values for touchpad driver FN something key for touchpad does not work either If I do that then even pressing does not work My only but last option is to factory reset but I believe that it is something easy to fix some shortcut which may solve the problem Thank you very much for your time and patience

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/70247-touchpad-move-does-not-work-pressing-works.html
Relevancy 43.43%

I ve been having this problem for a while now and i don t know how to fix it So i hope you guys can help me My wifi just won t work idk why I didn t install new program or make a lot of Solved: doesn't Wi-Fi work HELP !! but Local works, change in my computer lately so i m confused Anyway here s the ipconfig all result of my computer Windows IP Configuration Host Name asus- bdea abb Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Unknown IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Atheros AR Wireless Network Adap ter Physical Address C- B-D -A - -F Dhcp Enabled No IP Address Subnet Mask Default Solved: Wi-Fi doesn't work but Local works, HELP !! Gateway Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Atheros AR AR AR PCI-E E thernet Controller Physical Address - B- - -F - Dhcp Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IP Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway DHCP Server DNS Servers Lease Obtained Saturday May PM Lease Expires Sunday May PM Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Description Bluetooth PAN Network Adapter Physical Address - - - D- -FF Hope you can help THANKS in advance nbsp

A:Solved: Wi-Fi doesn't work but Local works, HELP !!

you have the wireless set to a fixed up
and the LAN is on automatic and using google open DNS
make the following changes to the wireless to use automatic and also google open dns - see below

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Setup to Automatically get IP and DNS

XP
--
Setup to Automatically get an IP and DNS (DHCP) - for XP
follow these instructions - if wireless - choose the wireless connection
http://www.srikanthkoka.com/lan.html

VISTA
-----
Setup to Automatically get an IP and DNS (DHCP) - for Vista
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Change-TCP-IP-settings

WINDOWS 7
---------
Setup to Automatically get an IP and DNS (DHCP) - for Windows 7
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Change-TCP-IP-settings
From a TerryNet post
To configure a dynamic IP address on your Windows Vista or 7 computer:

1. Click Start.
2. Select Network, then Network and Sharing Center, and click Manage network connections or Change adapter settings from the list of tasks.
3. Right click the connection of interest and click Properties.
4. Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) from the list and click the Properties button.
5. Select Obtain an IP address automatically.
6. Select Obtain DNS Server address automatically.
7. Click OK.
8. Click Close.Click to expand...

Google public DNS

Google public DNS
http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/

Theres also a link on how to setup those DNS IP address
http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using.html

Then once you have set up those DNS entries

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-wi-fi-doesnt-work-but-local-works-help.1054683/
Relevancy 43.43%

Downloaded W7 now Microsoft Works Doesn't Work

MESSAGE RECEIVED: Microsoft works cannot access one or more files it needs to run. The files may have been renamed, deleted, or moved.

If anyone can help i'd appreciate. Thanks

A:Downloaded W7 now Microsoft Works Doesn't Work

I doubt it has anything to do with the download. Just reinstall Works over itself, in any case the installer does (I think, but depends on which build you have...) give you the options of repair, install, or uninstall.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/51209-downloaded-w7-now-microsoft-works-doesnt-work.html
Relevancy 43.43%

I have IIS 7.5 running in Win7 Pro.

When I install a certificate I first create a certificate request. The certificate does install fine. After a while the certificate doesn't work any more. I try to install the certificate again and it says it doesn't match the certificate request. What is deleting the certificate request and the friendly name of the certificate so the certificate doesn't work?

Could it be CCleaner that is deleting the info?
In what file/registry is that information stored. Maybe it's a bat file I created to delete temp files?
If I knew where it was stored I could possibly figure it out.

Thanks,

Docfxit

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/395411-certificate-iis-7-5-works-when-installed-then-doesnt-work-later.html
Relevancy 43.43%

Hi,
i am having troble in connecting my portable hard disk to my desktop but it is working fine on my laptop.....
Please help.

A:Why my portable hdd does not work on desktop but works on laptop?

Hi Ijas619,
Welcome onboard.

Plug in your portable external drive to your desktop and post a screenshot of Windows Disk Management.
Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/349107-why-my-portable-hdd-does-not-work-desktop-but-works-laptop.html
Relevancy 43.43%

Hi All On September Firefox Chrome and Internet Explore browsers stopped working all due to connection problems that I was not able to identify Now only Safari works Internet Explorer displays simply Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage This is an old -bit Windows XP that I soon want to upgrade to Windows and I run Bitdefender Total Security in Autopilot mode with the Bitdefender firewall ON When I checked Windows firewall it was OFF I tried turning it on but it didn't any difference so I turned it OFF again I tried Windows Fix It but the problem remained Our broadband internet and phone service provider is Sky UK and our landline phone works fine I think I might have become affected by some virus or malware or spyware last year when I downloaded The KMPlayer and IrfanView from one of the FREE sites cnet com and something like gorilla software that I did not know would install other free stuff on my computer that would take ages to remove and I'm not sure if I managed their complete removal Please help thanks kisokos

A:Only Safari works; Firefox, Chrome and IE don't work (Win XP)

Welcome aboard   Download Security Check from here or here and save it to your Desktop. Double-click SecurityCheck.exe Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box. A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.NOTE 1. If one of your security applications (e.g., third-party firewall) requests permission to allow DIG.EXE access the Internet, allow it to do so.NOTE 2. SecurityCheck may produce some false warning(s), so leave the results reading to me.NOTE 3. If you receive UNSUPPORTED OPERATING SYSTEM! ABORTED! message restart computer and Security Check should run Please download Farbar Service Scanner (FSS) and run it on the computer with the issue.Make sure the following options are checked:
Internet ServicesWindows FirewallSystem RestoreSecurity Center/Action CenterWindows UpdateWindows DefenderOther ServicesPress "Scan".It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.Please copy and paste the log to your reply. Please download MiniToolBox and run it.Checkmark following boxes:Report IE Proxy SettingsReport FF Proxy SettingsList content of HostsList IP configurationList Winsock EntriesList last 10 Event Viewer logList Installed ProgramsList Devices (do NOT change any settings here)List Users, Partitions and Memory sizeList Restore PointsClick Go and post the result. Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to your desktop.NOTE. If you already have MBAM 2.0 installed scroll down.Double-click mbam-setup-2.0.0.1000.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to the following:

Launch Malwarebytes Anti-MalwareA 14 day trial of the Premium features is pre-selected. You may deselect this if you wish, and it will not diminish the scanning and removal capabilities of the program.
Click Finish.On the Dashboard, click the 'Update Now >>' linkAfter the update completes, click the 'Scan Now >>' button.
Or, on the Dashboard, click the Scan Now >> button.If an update is available, click the Update Now button.
A Threat Scan will begin.When the scan is complete, if there have been detections, click Apply Actions to allow MBAM to clean what was detected.In most cases, a restart will be required.Wait for the prompt to restart the computer to appear, then click on Yes.If you already have MBAM 2.0 installed:On the Dashboard, click the 'Update Now >>' linkAfter the update completes, click the 'Scan Now >>' button.
Or, on the Dashboard, click the Scan Now >> button.If an update is available, click the Update Now button.
A Threat Scan will begin.When the scan is complete, if there have been detections, click Apply Actions to allow MBAM to clean what was detected.In most cases, a restart will be required.Wait for the prompt to restart the computer to appear, then click on Yes.How to get logs:(Export log to save as txt)After the restart once you are back at your desktop, open MBAM once more.Click on the History tab > Application Logs.Double click on the Scan Log which shows the Date and time of the scan just performed.Click 'Export'.Click 'Text file (*.txt)'In the Save File dialog box which appears, click on Desktop.In the File name: box type a name for your scan log.A message box named 'File Saved' should appear stating "Your file has been successfully exported".Click OkAttach that saved log to your next reply.(Copy to clipboard for pasting into forum replies or tickets)After the restart once you are back at your desktop, open MBAM once more.Click on the History tab > Application Logs.Double click on the scan log which shows the Date and time of the scan just performed.Click 'Copy to Clipboard'Paste the contents of the clipboard into your reply.Download Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit to your desktop.Warning! Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit needs to be run from an account with administrator rights.Double click on downloaded file. OK self extracting prompt.MBAR will st... Read more

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/548220/only-safari-works;-firefox-chrome-and-ie-dont-work-win-xp/
Relevancy 43.43%

I have microsoft works, and i want to install microsoft word, I cannot get the right format in microsoft works. When i email to people they cannot open it. If i use a floppy from microsoft word and open it in microsoft works the format is not the dame

Relevancy 43.43%

Hi there

I have done 2 very simple macros, Macro1 and Macro2 (See attachment). Macro1 does not work but Macro2 does. Only one line of code is different between the 2 macros. I want Macro1 to work like Macro2 but I cannot figure out how to do it. This has me stumped.

Mario

Relevancy 43.43%

Ok so I bought a Logitech Webcam C170 a few days ago and it just won't work. When I plug it in it just plays the "device failure" sound and doesn't light up the LED on the camera like it's supposed to do. On other computers it works. I have installed the drivers and software for the webcam.

Here are some screenshots of what happens (In Greek, I am so sorry):

What happens:
What is supposed to happen (What happens on other computers):
Please tell me if you need any more info.

A:Logitech Webcam C170 won't work on my PC but works on others

Make sure you have the latest driver version (2.51.828.0 dated Oct 8, 2012) and the correct bit-ness for your computer, Chris. (Your specs show you have Windows 7 64-bit installed.)

Support + Downloads: Webcam C170 - Logitech

If problems continue, open Device Manager and make sure the webcam is being recognized (probably listed under Imaging Devices.)

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/270762-logitech-webcam-c170-wont-work-my-pc-but-works-others.html
Relevancy 43.43%

Hi I have a Hewlett Packard PSC that works fine on my spare computer However on my main computer it will not work When I try to print something it says document failed to print Some times it will start printing a bunch of garbage at the top of multiple pages but does not print anything else It just Hewlett Works/won't PSC500 work Packard prints some gibberish at the top of the page ejects it then does the same to multiple pages until I push the off button There are no external drivers for XP and Windows XP is supposed to have the drivers for it I know that is true because it works on my spare computer with XP I have to say that at one time it did work on my new motherboard but about two weeks ago it just up and began to do this Another fact is that when it sets itself up on this computer and it finds the printer the properties lists the port as DOT HP PSC Printer I have changed the ports to LPT LPT etc but to no avail I have tried the troubleshooting area and it does not change the Hewlett Packard PSC500 Works/won't work outcome of what the printer does and everything seems to be set up properly This motherboard is only about two months old and it worked fine with the printer when I first purchased the board The board is an A N-sli deluxe HELP I need this printer to work on my computer nbsp

Relevancy 43.43%

hi every one i had problem with my internet connection in my windows xp there is no internet and even there is no router ping and but on internet work it xp works vista plz,help on doesn't no received packets but there are packets sent otherwise in vista although there are no received packets but my internet sounds good and works well here is my network adapter SiS -Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter here some info Windows IP Configuration Host Name PC Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Realtek RTL x Family Fast Ethernet NIC Physical Address -E - C- D- B- DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled internet doesn't work on xp but it works on vista plz,help Yes Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description SiS -Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter Physical Address EF- F-E -F -F -F DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe ec c e a Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Default Gateway DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap B - EF - A -A D-B D F Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap DF BE - - C- CE- C A CC Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - E- DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IPv Address ef ba d a d c ea Preferred Link-local IPv Address fe d a d c ea Preferred Default Gateway NetBIOS over Tcpip Disabled plz help me gt gt gt gt gt nbsp

Relevancy 43.43%

I'm having an issue with this specific XP Sp3 computer. In the persons cubicle the computer will not connect to the internet. If you move the computer to a different lan drop, it works just fine. Then if you switch to another computer, that works in the cubicle. I've checked the Nic, Cat-5, basic IP settings that we are using. Everything is fine.
Any ideas? Need More Info? let me know.
Thanks,
Jeremy

A:Computer does not work on a specific lan drop, but works on others.

Answered on another board.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-does-not-work-on-a-specific-lan-drop-but-works-on-others.826593/
Relevancy 43.43%

I have a USB keyboard which normally works fine but is not working when I enter the BIOS. (Which I am trying to do BTW so that I can boot from the the Win10 ISO install disk. I'm on Win7 now and I've tried the easier way many times but it always fails.)

The keyboard is plugged directly into the PC (i.e. is not going through a hub).

If it might matter the motherboard is a Gigabyte MA78G-DS3H which supports AMD Phenom and Athlon processors.

I used to use a non-USB keyboard on this machine but that port stopped working so I don't think I have the option of trying a non-USB keyboard.

I wouldn't mind replacing this system but I am too busy to do that while the upgrades to Win10 are still free.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Bob

A:USB Keyboard Does Not Work in BIOS (But Otherwise Works Fine.)

not all bios's allow the use of a mouse, newer UEFI Bios's do but on older machines it's not an option , but for your keyboard you could look for a Legacy Option in the bios under USB which should allow USB to work outside Win7 too.

you could check the PS2 ports are still enabled too while in the bios

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/55577-usb-keyboard-does-not-work-bios-but-otherwise-works-fine.html
Relevancy 43.43%

Ok so here is the rundown. I brought my computer to college and I plugged up a new mouse and keyboard so that I could use my computer. Basically, the keyboard works fine all the time but the mouse ONLY works in BIOS. It does not work in safe mode, or when Windows 7 is loaded. The mouse worked for about 5 seconds when i first plugged it in but after that it no longer works whatever I do. I have tried a system restore, disabling and enabled the drivers, uninstalling and reinstalling the mouse and keyboard. Both are wired and through USB 2.0

Here are my computer stats:
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate x64
CPU: Intel Core i7-4810MQ @ 2.8 ghz
RAM: 16.0 gb:

Mouse: Onn (model ONA11HO091)
Keyboard: Onn (model ONA11H0089)

If you need any more info please let me know. Ive been surfing forums for hours with no luck.

A:Mouse works in BIOS,does not work in Windows 7

Welcome

Search thru the Bios settings for enable USB Mouse. Sometimes win7 needs that.

Then plug the mouse in after win7 fully loads to see if it recognizes it & says it is ready to use.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/343929-mouse-works-bios-does-not-work-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 43.43%

I ll go through what happened step by step I was last on my computer at around pm today I woke up early today so I decided to take a nap work chkdsk in f/ mode, Safe Only works won't It goes into standby by itself and I Only works in Safe mode, chkdsk f/ won't work keep napping Throughout my nap which was very resting I heard my computer it is a laptop making a loud sound with the fans I thought it was doing an AVG scan and that s why it was like that Anyway around hours later I go on the computer I move the mouse I see the main computer screen The problems are that there are quot black quot mini icons in my system tray and I could not enter the start menu My screen was also flashing black every seconds or so I turn off the computer Only works in Safe mode, chkdsk f/ won't work turn it back on and notice that at Windows startup there are blue quot streaks quot whereas normally I d see the Windows logo and have a black background After seeing this I try to do system restore I get a dark blue screen saying that there seems to be a problem and I should do chkdsk f when I turn my computer on I can t get my computer on in regular mode it will just have the blue streaks then it turns to black screen I can turn it on in safe mode however and I get some weird green quot matrixy quot looking kind of background but seems to work alright on Safe mode I press run I type in chkdsk f it opens Only works in Safe mode, chkdsk f/ won't work up but it says it cannot run and has a NTFS error or something It offers to run at next startup so I press Y but it never happens regular startup still has black screen while safe mode startup doesnt have chkdsk f run I tried system restore which doesnt seem to do much I also have SP on the computer Any more information needed just ask Thank you for your time

A:Only works in Safe mode, chkdsk f/ won't work

Sounds like a failing graphics card to me..."streaks", "matrixy" things, "lines", and blank screens all point to a dying graphics card. You will likely have to replace it.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/307200/only-works-in-safe-mode-chkdsk-f-wont-work/