Windows Support Forum

Can Win7 still be bought via Microsoft?

Q: Can Win7 still be bought via Microsoft?

The topic pretty much says what I'm wondering about...Is it still possible to somehow buy a Win7 license from Microsoft? -if I would first install Win7 without a product code then I'll have to enter a valid product code to be able to activate windows...but...when I try to do that I only get to the link below and all that I can find is Win8.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows/get-windows-product-key#get-windows-product-key=windows-7

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Can Win7 still be bought via Microsoft?

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Can Win7 still be bought via Microsoft?

Give them a call and see if they will sell a license. You should be able to find their number when you click activate now from the following location.

Control Panel >> System and Security >> System

I was wondering the same thing recently, but have not needed to ask. If not you could always get an OEM licenses, they are still available.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-win7-still-be-bought-via-microsoft.199695/
Relevancy 22.36%

SO close Help me get this ball across the goal line I have a old quot Microtek ScanMaker E quot scsi flatbed scanner that originally came with an ISA scsi interface to give you some idea of how old it is I connected it to my PC using a equally ancient Tekram F pci SCSI card c 64bit my got scanner Almost w/Win7 old working that I ve been using with bit WinXP Pro for years The scanner has an - quot x quot scanning bed dpi and bit color reproduction It works great and I see no reason to spend a few hundred dollars to replace it just for Win compatibility so I m trying to get it to work with the bit Almost got my old scanner working w/Win7 64bit version of Windows To complicate things the company that made my SCSI card Tekram went out of business years ago so the bit XP driver was the last they made But after MUCH Googling I found a bit Win compatible driver for another card using the same chipset and low amp behold Windows recognized it It then quot detected quot my scanner for the first time but didn t have a driver Again after much searching I found a Vista bit version of Microtek s quot ScanWizard quot scanner software with bit driver and now bit Windows detects my scanner Yeah But when I try to access the scanner I get an error telling me I quot must install Color Matching System first quot for the scanner to work I don t remember any such software being needed to use the scanner with XP and there is no such program in the ScanWizard software I just installed searching online suggests I will also need to run an quot ICC Color Profiler quot Anyone have any ideas So close yet so far I love doing things I was told were quot impossible quot Help nbsp

A:Almost got my old scanner working w/Win7 64bit

That Microtek ScanMaker E3 scsi flatbed scanner ... didn't even work well with Windows XP... and the cost in time and components to attempt to make it work are much higher than a decent Canon or Epson scanner which can be had fof $40... Less if used...

On what system are you runny SCSI ?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/almost-got-my-old-scanner-working-w-win7-64bit.157055/
Relevancy 20.21%

Microsoft showed off a whole range of new PCs and devices running Windows 10 at Computex 2015, but one that really caught the eye is the Quanta Compute Plug, an entire PC integrated into a power plug the size of...

Read more

A:Microsoft shows off PC integrated into power plug

They may be handy to a lot and even have very reasonable prices but I can't imagine myself ever wanting any of these.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/microsoft-shows-off-pc-integrated-into-power-plug.213681/
Relevancy 20.21%

Much of the lure surrounding Microsoft's long-rumored Surface Mini was the notion that it'd come in at a lower price point compared to its full-sized brother. That project was ultimately scrapped and instead, we got the Surface Pro 3 -...

Read more

A:Microsoft's new Atom-powered Surface 3 starts at $499

This was sounding so promising then I got to 2GB RAM....

Have a look at your PC now - if you are running next to nothing over standard windows services, then you are probably somewhere around 1.2GB. Add an email client, some virus software a few Chrome Tabs and you will already be swapping away to page file as the OS starts to worry about memory and things will start to grind. How much would 2 more MB cost? Shame as otherwise it sounds quite a capable little machine.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/microsofts-new-atom-powered-surface-3-starts-at-499.210900/
Relevancy 22.36%

Hi all Apologies in advance for such a long post I headaches + installation = hardware New Win7 don t know if I just have a corrupt New hardware + Win7 installation = headaches Windows Ultimate installation or what but this all started three weeks ago or so after installing new hardware specifically New hardware + Win7 installation = headaches motherboard Asus A M-A New hardware + Win7 installation = headaches processor AMD A K and RAM Kingston HyperX GB DDR Since I had the extra RAM slot I also put in one of the Aeneon XTune GB DDR I have from before the upgrade The sticker on it says it s but it shows up in BIOS POST as Since then I ve had the following problems Internet Unable to establish any connection at all when using the ethernet cable plugged into my Cisco Linksys EA Router I can connect wirelessly but that connection is lousy and I m not sure why especially since the router is only about feet from the computer To be fair the lousy wireless connection is something I was dealing with since before the hardware upgrade Windows reinstall which is why I finally gave up and bought a ethernet cable the computer used to be in a different room though on the same floor of the house The problem with being unable to get any type of connection when plugged in started after reinstalling Windows and then doing something like updates and then moving the PC to the new spot I made a point of moving the tower myself just so that I could be sure nothing happened to it so I know there was no physical damage done because of dropping or otherwise banging it around at all I ve checked the ethernet cable that runs from the modem to the router as well as the one and neither of them appear to be damaged at all I ve also tried plugging the one into all of the ports on the back of the router in the event that one of them just bit the dust somehow but nothing changed Any thoughts on how I can either get my wired connection working again or what might be making the wireless connection so horrible For clarification on quot horrible quot I m not talking dial-up speeds but some sites either load slowly or not at all sites that load up just fine on every other device in the house - specifically cell phones and iPod an Xbox a Wii and a laptop My connection to Battle net for playing WoW Starcraft II Diablo III is also pretty lag-tastic My NIC is an onboard Realtek GR PCIe Gigabit LAN controller according to the motherboard manual In terms of anything that may be interfering with the wireless signal there s a metal support post and a metal I-beam a few feet from where the router currently sits though it was previously or so feet from both Other than being in close proximity to those the room is wide open I was told that water can interfere with a wireless signal and we do have a lot of ground water under around the house can anyone verify whether ground water can degrade the signal so much over such a relatively small space Hard drive partition issues Until the upgrade when the computer just wouldn t boot presumably because Windows couldn t handle dealing with such big hardware changes all at once I had Windows installed on a partition on a TB Western Digital drive Since I had to reinstall anyway I installed Windows to a partition on a smaller but faster TB Seagate drive Up until this afternoon when I installed Seagate Discwizard one of the partitions on the big drive was inaccessible showing up in disk management and a couple of rd-party hard drive utility partitioning programs as simply quot unallocated space quot Since this afternoon though that partition is now showing up as a completely separate hard drive in disk management AND as quot unallocated space quot on the drive it s actually a part of I m a little leery of just leaving things as they are and using that partition since it s showing up different ways Discwizard only shows that partition as a separate drive there is no quot unallocated space quot showing on the TB drive Is this something I sh... Read more

A:New hardware + Win7 installation = headaches

Update: Wired connection issue is fixed. I have to (sheepishly) admit that I completely forgot to install the router via the CD that came with it. The lousy wireless performance is still a problem, though, as well as the hard drive/partition issues.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-hardware-win7-installation-headaches.206345/
Relevancy 22.36%

Hi,

if anyone can help ill be really thankful.
pc 1, 2 runnging win7 ultimate x64

1 adsl modem, 1 tp-link router, 2 computers (pc1, pc2).

ADSL(modem) - LAN1 - PC1 , LAN2 - Tp-link
Tp-link - LAN1 - PC2, WAN - ADSL(modem)

Everything is working, but computers cant see each other in HomeGroup.
Tried various methods but nothing work.

So my question is how to set HomeGroup for those 2 computers. Any suggestions?
Thank you

A:Win7 Homegroup problem

@Moirax . I can't answer your question, but your mention of Homegroup makes me ask what is it for? To avoid hijacking this thread,I'll PM you.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/win7-homegroup-problem.206524/
Relevancy 33.11%

Just bought a 980, now all I get is a black screen no matter what GPU I use.
Here are my specs:

Operating System
Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 4770K @ 3.50GHz 25 C
Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 800MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING (MS-7845) (SOCKET 0) 30 C
Graphics
L204WT ([email protected])
Intel HD Graphics 4600 (MSI)
Storage
465GB Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB (SSD) 28 C
119GB SanDisk SDSSDHP128G (SSD) 28 C
1863GB Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166 (SATA) 28 C
1863GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 (SATA) 30 C
Optical Drives
CZYJMF MJW5MF4 SCSI CdRom Device
PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-221L
Audio
Sound Blaster Z

I had an EVGA 780TI working great. My 980 arrived so I swapped. All I got was a black screen. After taking the card out and putting it back in a few times nothing changed. Giving up I put my 780ti back in and now that just gives me a black screen too.

Any ideas?
Thanks

Edit: My mobo gives the code A0 which is normal so I don't think it detected anything was wrong.

A:Just bought a 980, now all I get is a black screen no matter what GPU I use

If your not getting an error code its probably booting up normally. It maybe defaulting to the integrated card for some reason so I would try plugging onto the on board video when booting to see what happens.

If that is the case you will just have to go into the bios and change your default video card to the PCIE.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/just-bought-a-980-now-all-i-get-is-a-black-screen-no-matter-what-gpu-i-use.205925/
Relevancy 22.79%

I finally bit the bullet and upgraded yesterday Before installing the new OS I installed g of ram gb sticks Got thru all the installation BS my goodness Microsoft eats up a from Upgraded XP to Win7 lot to memory with all those updates Any way I was checking out the specs on my systems on the My Computer page and it only shows that I have g of Ram The other problem is I have a gb but it s only showing that I have gb total I know you want my system info so I ll do Upgraded from XP to Win7 the best I can AMD Athlon tm X Dual Core Processor Ghz bit I m going to check out my memory sticks Maybe one of them isn t seated properly I have them side by side as it was shown in my MB book but was wondering if I should skip a slot Also is there something I need to do about my drivers I m really worried about my HD space I know before the guy who built my system had a partition put in That got wiped out when I tried to to a repair on my Windows XP and had to do a clean install When I got the system back up and running it showed all my HD space now I m barely showing a third of the space that should be there I m really at a lost nbsp

A:Upgraded from XP to Win7

Well since no one is answering, I'll get you up to date. I found my lost HD memory and got it all back, so I'm at full capacity there. As for my sticks of RAM, I just don't know. I removed one, but the system wouldn't boot. Then I put the other one in and the system still wouldn't boot. So I put them both back in and the system booted right up. I'm getting the feeling that I bought 2 2gb or ram and ended up with 2 1gb sticks. Also, I thought the system was suppose to recognize when you put new ram in. Mine didn't.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/upgraded-from-xp-to-win7.203160/
Relevancy 22.36%

I bought a Samsung 840 SSD (120GB) for my gigabyte GA-770T-USB3 motherboard. I am unable to install win 7 64bit on it. It is a SATA SSD.

I have tried ACHD mode in the BIOS, I have tried IDE mode. The drive works as I have tested it as an external drive on other computers.

I bought the drive specifically to be used as a primary drive.

My regular hard drives work fine on the motherboard.

A:Unable to install SSD on Win7 x64 system

Well, first of all, your motherboard only supports 3GB/s and the 840 is a 6GB/s drive. Just by that you won't really get your moneys worth. And how so are you unable to install? Also can you please list your system specs?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/unable-to-install-ssd-on-win7-x64-system.190141/
Relevancy 22.36%

Hi All Right problem As stated above my laptop does not recognize my external The drive spins up inside the enclosure the power led lights up but it does not show I have been a Field Support Engineer Tier III for many years and following that a Technical Analyst all within the IT field and this one on not hdd recognize Win7 does external Compaq6710b has me totally STUMPED Steps followed Checked Win7 on Compaq6710b does not recognize external hdd Compmgmt - gt DrvMgmt drive does not show same as DevMgmt msc - gt Drvmgmt Went into CMD prompt - gt Diskpart - gt list disk only picks up my primary internal I e disk I have moved the hdd from one USB port to another - still no difference I have tried disconnecting and reconnecting it multiple times - no avail Tried rebooting - no avail Tried rebooting both with without the external connected - no change Connected the external to multiple other machines - it picks up on every single one of them Run RSOP machine is on a domain but there are as confirmed by domain admins no restriction policies in place seeing that my other smaller in capacity flash drives all pick up and show Ran a full malware scan - clean with the following in turn not at the same time also not installed simultaneously MBAM MSSE AVAST ESET - All came back clean Ran CCleaner getting desperate now and after all cleaning and clearing etc sorted rebooted machine - still no change Checked if the drive shows in BIOS upon restart - it does Just to slam dunk point above - checked if the drive shows as a possible boot media upon reboot - it does Only thing left to do is to try any Linux Unix based boot GUIs to see if it shows in thee as wel apps in the line of Knoppix to name but one Oh yeah also accessed the Advanced Properties af all the available USB Root Hubs and ensured that the computer is not allowed to turn off these devices in order to save power I have also downloaded EVERY POSSIBLE LATEST DRIVER from HP s site so everything THERE is up to date all drivers and firmwares up to date Flashed the CMOS Updated the BIOS as well If I connect any of my flash drives or any other mobile device tablet phone usb modem with micro sd card installed configured as storage to the laptop they all get recognized and are accessible but NOT my external even though every single other machine I have connected it to picks it up As per all my points above please do not suggest the following A Use of various or random drive checking tools - they won t work as the O S does not recognize the drive B Right click quot My Computer quot anything starting with that will be a waste as I have already gone through all those steps by means of accessing all relevant interfaces via cmd line interface - I cannot see the drive so I can also NOT change it s drive letter just read another post on another forum where the OP requests assistance as he cannot access his drive at all kind of similar to my scenario and the suggestions on there drove me out the walls - people missing obvious things and making suggestions which would be declared useless by using some common sense I am going to try and upload prt shots of both diskpart cmd result and compmgmt msc results okay failure with bmp jpg and png HA loaded successfully Any assistance would be appreciated Oh yeah it is a USB powered quot external hdd not the quot type which requires external power nbsp

A:Win7 on Compaq6710b does not recognize external hdd

Have you tried your Ext Hard drive to be connected to any other PC or Laptop. If the drive is still not recognized consult an expert for this.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/win7-on-compaq6710b-does-not-recognize-external-hdd.200463/
Relevancy 20.21%

Previously used this phone with Zune on my now-deceased PC with Windows XP (although even that took a while to establish). Now have an HP laptop with Windows 7 but Zune consistently refuses to recognize it and just comes up with the usual 'disconnect, turn off and reconnect'. I have downloaded both Microsoft Fixes and neither of them find anything wrong; I have uninstalled/reinstalled countless times; I have been into my certificates and made changes and/or deletions - and I m now simply running out of options ...and patience if I'm honest.

Almost all the internet advice suggests the fix is easy. Would the fact I've worked on this for over a month now suggest I am a one-off?!!!

A Google search revealed that there are many people who have had the same problem still unresolved after two years or so - just as often with other Windows Phones rather than Nokia. Can anyone help please?

A:Microsoft Zune will not recognize my Nokia Lumia 800...

Any luck with this?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/microsoft-zune-will-not-recognize-my-nokia-lumia-800.186486/
Relevancy 22.36%

Hello I have been experiencing with Video 7870 Win7 in Stuttering 64 an ongoing issue with video stuttering when using vsync and screen tearing when not of course in certain games Here are my specs Desktop PC OS Win -bit Intel Core i Ghz Motherboard ASRock Z Extreme GSkill Ripjaws GB DDR RAM AMD Radeon HD GB driver CCC -display setup monitors Video Stuttering with 7870 in Win7 64 x x Video Stuttering with 7870 in Win7 64 and one TV Video Stuttering with 7870 in Win7 64 at x HD Samsung SSD PRO GB HD OCZ Agility SSD GB HD Seagate HDD TB HD WD HDD GB This issue is present throughout all games and videos to varying degrees It becomes apparent when any smooth movement is supposed to occur such as camera panning or forward movement in fps games for example In certain games it is barely noticeable such as Borderlands however games Trine or Dead Island are virtually unplayable due to the amount of stutter when moving In other games I experience tearing unless forcing vsync with triple buffering with D D overrider I have tried changing the vsync settings in the individual games as well with no change I have tried a number of solutions recommended from various boards such as reinstalling installing older drivers I am using an ATI radeon HD and have downloaded and removed installed just about every driver version I could get my hands on I have also been lucky enough to have access to a great deal of spare parts As such I have swapped the following components with known-good ones with no result - Power supply - CPU - Motherboard - Hard drive SSD - full reformat as well The previous graphics card a also experienced the exact same problems initially I replaced this card in an attempt to solve the stutter issue but it remained exactly the same I have run memtest and had no errors I have run certain problem games off of a different hard drive and on different monitors of my setup and produced the same result Computer has been fully scanned cleaned of malware etc Running Malwarebytes CCleaner and MSE I m at the end of my rope here Not sure what else to do Seems like this is a tricky issue none of the solutions I have found while searching has worked but I m hoping I missed something crucial Any help suggestions would be appreciated If you need any more information please let me know Thanks for your time nbsp

A:Video Stuttering with 7870 in Win7 64

In-game Vsync sucks for many games, the problem being some games tend to be biased towards one company and that causes the other company Graphics card to run poorly in it.

Try downloading Radeon Pro, its a custom tool that helps for games like that on AMD cards that run into issues with Vsync. Once installed, all you do is add the games your having problems with, go to the options surrounding the games sync, and set it to use dynamic Vsync with the refresh rate of your monitor (You can also add your monitors refresh in).

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/video-stuttering-with-7870-in-win7-64.199248/
Relevancy 22.36%

I reinstalled Windows 7 (64bit) after moving to an SSD. Now, for some mysterious reason, I can no longer read UDF format discs (all Blueray and some DVD's are UDF).

Microsoft's Knowledge Base posts a "hotfix", but it didn't work.

I searched online and lots of people seem to have this same problem, but no one has a fix.

How is it I can WRITE udf discs but not READ them? What a pain.

(Note: I can read the discs in XP and Linux, just not Win7. Copying the discs to the HDD every time I want to read them is not a long-term solution. And I can't copy commercial BD discs anyway.)

A:Can't read UDF format discs (Win7)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321640 is for XP, but does contain some useful information and possible work-rounds. At a guess, I would expect MS to address whatever they have done wrong before too long. In the meantime, an update of the Win7 DVD driver (and/or firmware) for your actual hardware might be available. Try the website of your DVD manufacturer.

At worst, if there is no software solution within a couple of months, you might have to consider replacing the drive, at least you can return a new drive if it fails you too.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-read-udf-format-discs-win7.198203/
Relevancy 20.64%

Recently bought a MS mouse.

Have found that when I move the scroll wheel up or down more than really slowly
a little round icon appears with an up arrow and a down arrow. If the cursor is
above the icon, the page automatically scrolls upward without stopping, and the reverse for the cursor being below that icon. It starts without warning and always goes farther than I want and it goes so fast it's difficult, at best, to react to it before I'm way past what I want to see.

When I click, the thing goes away.

Any way to totally delete this annoying feature other than throwing the mouse away and
getting another Logitech?

Thanks!

A:Microsoft mouse scrolling so annoying

Wow I know that feeling. I had a MS mouse that did the same thing. Never could figure out how to stop it from doing that. I search over the internet and never found a answer. Even tried its support site. I ended up getting rid of it and going back to a Logitech.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/microsoft-mouse-scrolling-so-annoying.197079/
Relevancy 22.36%

I have no idea where to start loking for solutions. NBegining about an hour ago, no key wil work twice in a row. Backspace wil only back up once, delete wil only delelt one character in a row, page-down wil ionly page down one page and not more.
If I go do something else, and come back, the key wil work again. So, by combining delete and backspace and arrow keys and re-positioning the mouse, I can type whatever I want - it is just taking a lot more effort! -Any ideas? I would put a bu nch of excalamation marks, but this is al I have: !

A:No key will work twice in a row Win7 Dell E5430

More info - this is happening in MS Word, Notepad, the IBM SPSS Text Editor, and Google Chrome search blank. So, not just MS Ofice.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-key-will-work-twice-in-a-row-win7-dell-e5430.196092/
Relevancy 21.93%

I m having a terrible time with one win Win7: no or DHCP internet browsing but Can DNS ping bit computer on my home network All other devices about work fine other Win7: Can ping DNS but no DHCP or internet browsing windows pc works fine ADSL router and Cisco switch work fine This one Dell Vostro with a cable into the network worked fine for years Overnight it can t connect to local network with its DHCP settings and if I change to static ip it still can t browse the internet However I can ping external addresses by IP address only If I ping google com eg it cannot find the host What is really confusing is the quot Ping Statistics for quot response contains neither the name or the address but instead random characters ie this changes every time all other devices on the same network resolve IP adresses to their fully qualified domain name I have been through loads of sites and support flushing dns flushing IP restoring the pc to a previous working point changing the network cable and port installing a USB wireless key which works on this pc manually configuring IP addresses reseting the IP and WINSOCKs with Netsh commands I ran anti malware Combofix virus checkers zone alarm all found nothing I booted into a linux instance but still couldn t browse the net I cabled two pcs back to back and could ping each other from each other then restored the cable to the bad Dell I still didn t get a DHCP address but with manual IP gateway and DNS I could ping but not browse I have run out of ideas anyone help Oh it s win professional and there may be a few more things I ve done but forgotten in the post above Obviously changed drivers on NIC and installed drivers for the wireless USB NIC nbsp

A:Win7: Can ping DNS but no DHCP or internet browsing

Booting from a Linux rather than an apparently faulty Windows OS is my favourite way of deciding I have an actual hardware fault.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/win7-can-ping-dns-but-no-dhcp-or-internet-browsing.194914/
Relevancy 20.64%

Good morning everyone,

My database at work has hit a snag. Whenever I open it I get this error (see attach.) Once I click on yes, it still does not open. It just shows the loading circle (Vista) constantly...

A colleague and myself are the only ones who use this database - it holds 17,000+ files that we have to track. Hers works fine, albeit slowly.

Any help out there with this one? Always appreciated.

Thanks

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/microsoft-access-database-issues.194266/
Relevancy 21.93%

I have a really strange situation today that started after I had to reboot our UTM device and then switch We have a wired network although our modem router is also wireless if needed We don t use the wireless normally After rebooting the UTM and Switch all computers were turned back on again one by one of the were up and running and on the network and internet straight away One PC connected to the LAN but cannot get internet access Our DHCP server is on the UTM Internet (Win7) Network Wired Computer no has on One device and each computer has it s IP address reserved This computer had reserved and it still has that IP address when I do ipconfig It can access all the files on our NAS and all the printers on the network I ran all the ipconfig commands to One Computer on Wired Network has no Internet (Win7) release renew One Computer on Wired Network has no Internet (Win7) flushdns I reset winsock and rebooted Still no internet I did a print screen off one of the PCs that is working properly and compared it Apart from the MAC address and other PC specific items I could see no difference So I put a wireless dongle on it to see if it would connect the the internet on wireless It worked I had internet but no LAN other than to the wireless router So I thought there must be a problem with the NIC I went to the local PC store and bought a new NIC card and installed it I disabled the old one and connected the network cable to the new one No difference If I enable the NIC card I have LAN but no internet if I enable the wireless dongle I have internet but no LAN I need both I cannot figure out what has changed on this ONE PC that was working fine until today Oh one other thing I tried that didn t work I connected a brand new Ethernet cable directly from the modem router to the PC So this bypassed the UTM device and Switch Still no wired internet nbsp

A:One Computer on Wired Network has no Internet (Win7)

Try these

ping 8.8.8.8
nslookup google.com
ping techspot.com
(1) shows packets going to google's dns
(2) shows you can convert name to ip address
(3) shows access to our site

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/one-computer-on-wired-network-has-no-internet-win7.193364/
Relevancy 18.06%

Hi,

I am running XP SP 2 on Intel Motherboard DH55TC, Core i5 CPU. UAA High Definition Audio class driver is resulting in high hardware interrupts that uses upto 10 to 12% of CPU. The interrupts goes away if I uninstall UAA Bus driver through Device Manager. But this also disables RealTek audio driver which means I hear sound no more.

I tried updating the UAA driver to Version 1.0a but still the hardware interrupts wont go away. Please help how to fix this issue.

A:Microsoft UAA bus driver for High Definition Audio is causing high hardware interrupt

Download the Realtek drivers here Realtek drivers, you want the third one down, Windows 2000, Windows XP/2003(32/64 bits) Driver only (Executable file)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/microsoft-uaa-bus-driver-for-high-definition-audio-is-causing-high-hardware-interrupt.152928/
Relevancy 33.11%

I've just bought a new WD My passport 2TB 3.0 external hard drive and for nor love or money I can't get it to work.....

As I plugged in the device my computer pick ups " new hardware device added" with the ping sound. Yet when trying to install the drivers It stays stuck on the " Instal wizard will guide you" dialogue box.... it then prevents me to connect to the internet and the the only way I can remove the " Install wizard...." dialogue box is to shut down tha comp by maually holding down the power key.

Anyone help me out on this,,,I'm going to return it if I can't get it sorted.... really not happy with the brand western digital so far.

Also the drive is not visable in "My Computer"

A:Just bought WD My Passport 2TB and can't get it to work

What version of Windows do you have installed? External USB hard drives usually don't need any additional drivers

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/just-bought-wd-my-passport-2tb-and-cant-get-it-to-work.191378/
Relevancy 28.81%

Recently bought a new headset, Gioteck Ex-05 to be exact. Everything looks fine considering the product and all, but when I FIRST plugged it in it automatically did it's routine with installing the headset driver. Afterwards, my speaker icon in my tray got an X.

Solutions that I've tried but ended up failing:

Reinstalling Headset Driver
Restarting my computer
Reinstalling my Realtek Codec
Reinstalling my NVIDIA High Definition Audio Codec
System Restoring my computer
It's literally just the headset when I plug it in, my earphones work perfect. I have yet to use another headset, this is my first one for this computer.

A:Bought a new headset, plugged it in, no speakers or headphones plugged in?

What OS is it? Have you tried going into the control panel>sound & make sure MUTE is not checked?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bought-a-new-headset-plugged-it-in-no-speakers-or-headphones-plugged-in.191556/
Relevancy 22.36%

Guys,I m thinking about to buy a SSD.Can u tell me how much space needed for WIN 7 64bit.pls include ur space advice that it will also have latest update of win+20% space free(which I found various forum that it is needed for run win smoothly).How about 32GB SSD??????
Thankssssssssssss.

A:How much space needed on SSD for Win7 64-bit

Personally, I wouldn't use anything smaller then a 64GB SSD. A 32GB SSD will be good for a cache drive but not a boot drive. I think the 128GB & 256GB drives work best. They give you a lot of room for OS + Core Programs.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-much-space-needed-on-ssd-for-win7-64-bit.190326/
Relevancy 22.36%

Hi, I just got rid of Win7 32 bit and installed 64 bit, but I screwed up the partition when I was doing the clean install. Right now I have:
Disk 0 74.5GB Online
System Reserved is at 100MB
(C 14.9 GB
Unallocated 59.5 GB

Is there a way that I can remove the partitions all together? I am in the Disk Management in Admin Tools, but unsure of what to do at this point. Any help is greatly appreciated......

A:Just installed Win7 64-bit and screwed up the partitions...

Nevermind..... Figured it out.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/just-installed-win7-64-bit-and-screwed-up-the-partitions.188931/
Relevancy 22.36%

I just bought the subject laptop, and have no interest in Win8. This laptop will eventually backup an HP2000-100 that the MB no longer recognizes the battery(?another story). The plan is to install the HD from the -100 into 2B00, so far so good. I've been able to boot Win7. On the first boot try I got a message that HD didn't exist, a message to run diagnostics. Ran diagnostics everything passed, except the battery check(? another story). Had to go into the BIOS and enable the Legacy mode. Success Win7 booted with expected anomalies, video, sound, etc., etc.. I just finished downloading from HP the drivers for an HP2000z-300, 160mb. The -300 is the last laptop in the HP2000 series to come with Win7. I'll let you know the results in the morn.

Larry

A:New HP2000z-2B00 downgrade to Win7

The graphics driver has installed and appears to be working. The WiFi, and audio did not install, but the old drivers seem to be working. I'll pursue those further if I have problems.

Larry

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-hp2000z-2b00-downgrade-to-win7.188488/
Relevancy 19.35%

I Win7(64) no "color scan" with Omnipage17 option see Mailpup or moved me to hardware I doubt this is a hardware issue As indicated below all worked properly under XPSP It is only under Win that this issue has cropped up So I am not sure if this is the best place In short Omnipage is not communicating properly with my Win7(64) no "color scan" option with Omnipage17 Mustek A scanner on a Win system There were no issues with this software and scanner running on xpsp Not sure what I could be missing Any help appreciated Thanks Longer Description Wondering how to get color capability with OP on my Win system Currently all I can get are B amp W and Grayscale for my scan options All scanner quot sizes quot B -A letter and legal are available in the Tools- gt Options - gt Scanner toolbox and they work properly So OP is partially working with the scanner NOTE OP was working properly fully with this scanner on my old xpsp system System Information Omnipage Professional version Product ID OP- - - OS Win Computer Dell Vostro i processor Scanner Mustek SE A USB Pro What I have done Downloaded the lasted drivers ScanExpress A USB WIN zip from Mustek Uninstalled the old driver installation from Device Manager Reboot Reinstall Mustek software Reboot Open Omnipage - gt Tools - gt Options - gt Scanner - gt Setup Download Latest Scanner Database from Nuance Select amp Test Scanner TWAIN SE A USB Pro - gt Next Would you still like to test your device - gt Yes The scanner is already in the database Would you still like to test your device - gt Yes Close any other applications that might be using your scanner - gt Next After running all available tests Omnipage still cannot see the scanner s color capability Testing the Scanner from Control Panel - gt Devices amp Printers - gt Scanner Select Right Click for Properties - gt Diagnostics - gt Test Scanner quot Successfully completed the diagnostic test quot Testing by Control Panel - gt Devices amp Printers - gt Scanner Select Right Click for Properties - gt Start Scan Here the quot Color quot Option is available And it successfully creates a color scan I found no help on this topic at Nuance Either Knowledge base or Forums Google coming up dry too Not sure what I could be missing Any help appreciated Thanks nbsp

A:Win7(64) no "color scan" option with Omnipage17

Typically this is a driver problem. find the driver from the print/scanner manufacturer and dl/install it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/win7-64-no-color-scan-option-with-omnipage17.186106/
Relevancy 20.64%

Why doesn't my microsoft lifecam work with windows 7? Is there a simple way to fix this problem?

A:Windows 7/Microsoft Lifecam

We would need the model number to tell you a reason to why it is not working, and if there is a fix.. If there is no supported driver for windows7, you may need to attempt to use a Windows Vista driver and run it in compatibility mode.

If these options are not possible, you may have to purchase a new one.

Please reply back with the model of the webcam.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-7-microsoft-lifecam.185668/
Relevancy 20.21%

I have a mixture of domain and workgroup computers on the network and wan to have them all visible in Microsfot Windows Network My Network Place Group - Machine amp Machine are on workgroupA with its not Computer Microsoft in visible Windows Network own subnet and can see each other fine Group - Machine amp Machine are on the domain and can see each other fine Group - Machine amp Machine are also on the domain however on a different subnet and it too can see each other fine If I am on Machine it only sees Machine When I am on Machine it can not see Machine or however it can see Machine The same goes for Machine can t see any other machine except Machine even though its on the domain I have a WINS server in place in Group and it WINS see all the machines as Active Registrations But when I go into My Network Places on the WINS server it only sees machines in Group which are Machine amp Machine DNS entries are setup correctly with correct hostname and IP so I m lost as to what is happening here Sorry of this sounds confusing nbsp

A:Computer not visible in Microsoft Windows Network

My understanding is that

a given system(A) may be attached to a domain OR
unattached and accessed in a workgroup; mutually exclusive.
That says your request is not possible

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-not-visible-in-microsoft-windows-network.181851/
Relevancy 22.36%

I moved everything into a server case. The case has a hot plug box for 4 hard drives and since there is no other place I can put them I moved my hard drives in there. I also moved one of my spare drives there so I can use it to store backups. My intention was to plug the drive in, make a backup and remove it. Without having to restart the machine. However once I moved it in there I realized that windows does not see it as removable drive but as normal drive. and there is no "Safely remove your hardware" icon in the tray. Now I am wondering whether it would be safe for me just to remove the drive straight out or do I have to restart it every time?
Thanks.

A:Hotplug in Win7 Home Premium

Was that hard drive that you intend to use just simply for your "back up's", is that hard drive an I.D.E. or SATA or USB?

Because if it's an older styled I.D.E., you will never get that "safely remove hardware" message. Even if the drive is a more modern SATA one, just like with an I.D.E. you will not get that "safe to remove hardware" message as well. But if your drive is a USB styled one, your Operating System should have picked up on what it was, how it was being connected and more importantly, what kind off hook up the device is using. Almost every Operating System I've ever put my hands on, know when something is a USB device, and will almost always display that "safe to remove hardware" message, both by way of ((right clicking)) the device icon itself by way of Windows Explorer, or going for the little icon in the lower right hand corner on your Windows taskbar.

So if it's not a USB device, I'm afraid to properly remove and install the drive, your going to have to power down the computer, each and every time.....sorry!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hotplug-in-win7-home-premium.179051/
Relevancy 20.21%

I've been playing games for more than 12 years with KB+Mouse and have never used a controller before. Games are becoming more and more controller optimized and I have an Eyefinity setup that would give a better experience with a gamepad, so I decided to get one

I've narrowed my options to Razer Onza TE BF3 Edition (Wired):

http://store.razerzone.com/store/razerusa/en_US/pd/productID.235034100/categoryId.54297600

And Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for Windows :

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Xbo...d-20&ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1322381006&sr=8-3

They both seem pretty good, but have heard very mixed views on razer products...

Which one is better ?

A:Razer Onza or Microsoft controller for Windows?

Do you already own a wireless 360 controller? You can use a 360 controller on your PC if you add one of these. I use it and it works fine.
http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Wire...FCT2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331256805&sr=8-1

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/razer-onza-or-microsoft-controller-for-windows.178459/
Relevancy 33.11%

HP Pavilion HPE h8z customizable Desktop PC
? Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium [64-bit]
? AMD FX-8150 eight-core processor [3.6GHz, 8MB L2/8MB L3 Cache]
? FREE UPGRADE to 8GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM [2 DIMMs] from 6GB
? 1TB 7200 rpm SATA hard drive
? Microsoft(R) Office Starter: reduced-functionality Word & Excel w/ ads. No PowerPoint or Outlook
? Norton Internet Security(TM) 2012 - 15 month
? 1GB DDR3 Radeon HD 6570 [DVI, HDMI. VGA adapter]
? 300W Power supply
? FREE UPGRADE to Blu-Ray player
? Wireless-N LAN card (1x1)
? 15-in-1 memory card reader, 2 USB 2.0 (front), audio, 2 USB (top rear-facing)
? No TV Tuner
? Beats Audio (tm) -- integrated studio quality sound
? Premium HP keyboard and optical mouse

I just customized this pc and bought it and it said that a Power Supply was availible for $100 extra but it didnt make me choose it. Will my PC be ok? What can this cause?

A:Just bought new PC but power supply too low?

It will be fine. You wouldn't be able to purchase an incompatible configuration, as HP wouldn't allow it to leave production unless it was okay.

That said, the PSU is weak, and being OEM probably won't be the best quality out there. You'll have a warranty though, so don't worry while it is covered with one.

Out of curiosity, what is your intended usage for the computer you've purchased?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/just-bought-new-pc-but-power-supply-too-low.176815/
Relevancy 21.5%

Hi Everyone I am using a ASUS EeePC PEM as an upgrade from my previous netbook PC Win7 Eee 1015PEM loading Error operating system... Starter My problem started when I seemed to receive an odd windows update The IE stopped Error loading operating system... Eee PC 1015PEM Win7 Starter loading correctly even though my pc Error loading operating system... Eee PC 1015PEM Win7 Starter was connected to the net I stupidly gave it to someone who proudly displays letters after his Error loading operating system... Eee PC 1015PEM Win7 Starter name claiming to know all about computers and two days later he gave it back to me telling me that it claimed to be doing hard drive repairs and now won t do anything I plumped for a system restore as I had all my important stuff on an external hard drive so wasn t too worried about loosing anything When I tried it has continually popped up with the meassage Error loading operating system The restore reportedly comes from a hidden recovery partition It almost seems as though the whole netbook has been wiped and all I have is bios I am now beyond my field of knowledge and hope someone has an answer for me Living in hope Bint xx nbsp

A:Error loading operating system... Eee PC 1015PEM Win7 Starter

O/S error

When I have seen the error report "O/S not found", or similar it has meant the hard drive has failed in some way, probably the circuit that controls the seek arm.
If that has happened then the "system restore" will not work either, because, as you noted, it is a copy of the working O/S but in a separate partition, that is normally not used. Problem is the hidden partition is just a part of the same hard drive that won't work.
If that is the situation, the only real answer is to replace the hard drive, and reinstall the O/S plus the software you need. It is much simpler and cheaper to back up the hard drive while it is working, so that come the day it fails, at least the data is safe, and can be restored to a new hard drive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/error-loading-operating-system-eee-pc-1015pem-win7-starter.175229/
Relevancy 21.93%

Hello I recently added a rd hard drive to my computer so I could put my two existing HDs in RAID and still have a back up drive I cloned my main drive to my new backup drive and did a fresh Windows -bit install on the new RAID array I ve been able to get all my hardware working except for my X-FI 0 sound RAID on fresh No after from install Win7-64 CreativeLabs ExtremeMusic SB soundcard I ve gotten it to work a few brief times but I can t figure out what driver and control panel versions I used to make it work before I just remember it being a long process of searching online before I found an answer that worked for me Is there anyway to find out what versions I have on my backup HD since it has the correct driver and control panel versions on it Here s a description of my actual soundcard problem When I try play something in media player there is no sound the progress bar doesn t move if I watch a youtube video the progress bar moves but I still get no sound and I have no system sound either My on-board audio when enabled works perfectly My on-board audio is disabled in No sound from X-FI after fresh Win7-64 install on RAID 0 the bios the X-FI shows up in device manager and appears to be installed correctly with the latest drivers for win - I get clicks from my speakers when installing the drivers and I have tried completely uninstalling the card and re-installing it as an admin but I still don t get any sound Any and all help is greatly appreciated nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-sound-from-x-fi-after-fresh-win7-64-install-on-raid-0.174259/
Relevancy 21.93%

Hi be active public and Can simultaneously a wired Win7 in workgroup Wi-Fi LAN My crossover-cable wired lan between a win and a miniXP booted laptop can t be changed to a quot home quot from a quot public quot connection Both the wifi and and lan show up as quot public quot The former because I m Can public Wi-Fi and a wired LAN workgroup be active simultaneously in Win7 connected to the internet via a meraki mesh Unlike the status of my wifi which is blue and thus changeable the status of my lan is typeset black as regular text Now when I activate file-sharing I give the whole neighborhood access to my computer Is there a way to separate the networks and make the files of the remote show up in Explorer without disconnecting the wifi Windows IP Configuration Host Name ID-PC Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Can public Wi-Fi and a wired LAN workgroup be active simultaneously in Win7 Mixed IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Atheros AR B Wireless Network Adapter Physical Address C -F -DA- F- D-B DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe f c c Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained October- - AM Lease Expires October- - AM Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - - E- C- C- -AE- D- -B - DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Atheros AR PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller NDIS Physical Address -AE- D- -B - DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Default Gateway DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Tunnel adapter isatap D AF E-A E - - B -F BAC AAF E Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap C A B E- EA- C- C - DF Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IPv Address e c d f ff fff Preferred Link-local IPv Address fe c d f ff fff Preferred Default Gateway NetBIOS over Tcpip Disabled Tunnel adapter TO Adapter Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft to Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-public-wi-fi-and-a-wired-lan-workgroup-be-active-simultaneously-in-win7.172759/
Relevancy 21.93%

I have an older Dell Latitude laptop in which I would like to upgrade the processor.
I purchased the machine as a refurbished model. It has Win7 installed, The typical office programs 2007.

I writing to ask if there is a way to upgrade the CPU without having to disturb the overall OS configuration? If not can someone either give me direction as to how one goes about doing this (w/o WIN7 disc) or a link to where I could get direction as to how to reinstall after the upgrade.
Thank you.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/upgrade-cpu-fresh-win7-install-w-o-disc.170808/
Relevancy 33.11%

I purchsed a Noctua NH-D14 heatsink+fans CPU cooler for my socket 1155 CPU. However, I misplaced its backplate that fits on the back of the motheroard over the stock backplate. Is there any place where can buy a replacement? I don't think third-party backplates have to be specific to particular coolers, I guess all socket 1155 backplates are standard, as long as the bolt holes are aligned with the holes on the motherboard and it fits over the motherboard's backplate. I checked Maplin's website and unfortunately I don't see any CPU backplates listed.

Only one thing stopping me now from poceeding onto connecting all my components and building my computer, is this missing bl**dy backplate.

Thanks.

A:Can CPU backplates be bought separately?

Yes they can be purchased separately. Ebay is your friend.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-cpu-backplates-be-bought-separately.169874/
Relevancy 21.93%

The audio on my Asus P E DELUXE WiFi-AP motherboard does not appear to work Windows says that there is no audio output device installed As on from Asus Win7, install device audio won't No drivers such when I plug my speakers in I get No audio device on Win7, drivers from Asus won't install no sound and the sound icon in the notification area continues to display a red circle with an quot x quot The High Definition Audio Controller is installed under Device Manager and appears to be normal However it is listed under System Devices There is no listing for Sound Video amp Game Controllers I am not sure if this is applicable to Win I have disabled and re-enabled the audio controller I have uninstalled it and let Windows reinstall it All to no avail For what it s worth the controller appears to be using a standard No audio device on Win7, drivers from Asus won't install Microsoft driver System info says that no sound devices are installed I have verified multiple times that onboard audio is enabled in the BIOS I have tried disabling the audio in the BIOS booting into Windows shutting down and then re-enabling the onboard audio No go I have attempted to reinstall the Soundmax drivers from ASUS They don t install I receive an error message saying that the audio driver files do not support my hardware I am sure that I am trying to install the correct drivers There is no software installed that would be interfering with the audio and all services look normal Any ideas nbsp

A:No audio device on Win7, drivers from Asus won't install

sound

which speakers are you using and which driver?
because most of the speakers are plug n play...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-audio-device-on-win7-drivers-from-asus-wont-install.169687/
Relevancy 33.11%

I was in China and bought a music cd and have been unable to play it here in the US. The book was labeled "German 24k cd". I am not sure if I just purchased a cd with nothing on it or if this type of cd doesn't work in the US. Help

A:Bought CDs in China, can't play them in the US

Foreign

Sorry, the CD from China is not a book, but a really nice box with 2 CDs.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bought-cds-in-china-cant-play-them-in-the-us.168655/
Relevancy 33.11%

I have just recently ordered some parts to build my own gaming computer. I purchased this processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz 6 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT90ZFBGRBOX

and this motherboard:GIGABYTE GA-M68MT-S2P AM3 NVIDIA GeForce 7025/nForce 630a chipset Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

The FSB on the motherboard says 1000MHz Hyper Transport (2000 MT/s), the FSB of the processor says 4000mhz.

Is this a problem? motherboard says its ready to take on the 6-core AMD processor that i purchased. Is this going to be a problem. If someone could tell me what would happen if i put them together i would greatly appreciate it. im freaking out right now.... think i just wasted money on this mobo.

A:I think I bought the wrong motherbaord for my processor!

According to the Gigabyte site there are two revisions of this board, Rev 1.0 and Rev 3.0. The AMD Phenom II X6 1090T is not on the Supported Cpu list for Rev 1.0 but is supported on Rev 3.0
The following note is on the product page for both revisions:

* If you install AMD AM3 CPU on this motherboard, the system bus speed will downgrade from HT3.0 (5200MT/s) to HT1.0 (2000 MT/s) spec; however, the frequency of AM3 CPU will not be impacted. Please refer "CPU Support List" for more information.Click to expand...

If I'm reading this right it appears that you'll need Rev 3.0 to run the 1090T but it will still degrade from HT 3 to HT 1. Here are the Cpu support lists off the Gigabyte site.

Socket AM3 - NVIDIA GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a - GA-M68MT-S2P (rev. 1.0)

Socket AM3 - NVIDIA GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a - GA-M68MT-S2P (rev. 3.0)

Personally, I would recommend that you return your current board if possible and upgrade to a that natively supports the 1090T.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-think-i-bought-the-wrong-motherbaord-for-my-processor.168106/
Relevancy 28.81%

I bought a used HP 9100C digital sender and I get a "Network Access Failure" error message on my pc when I try to create the "HP 9100C Login with the HP software. Any thoughts?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-bought-a-used-hp-9100c-digital-sender-and-i-get-a-network-access-failure.167938/
Relevancy 22.36%

I am using rasphone.exe in scheduled tasks with parameter "-d network connection name" that allows to auto-connect dial-up connection is there a way to auto-disconnect this connection using scheduled tasks.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/rasphone-exe-parameters-win7.166264/
Relevancy 32.68%

Hi I m looking for some help figuring out what is wrong with a laptop I bought It is a Cybercom MD it had Windows XP installed but it wouldn t boot I would get the BSOD I booted up from the what's bought Let's with figure out I wrong a laptop. dodgy it Windows XP disc I get to the part where I am to create a partition I previously deleted the old one in Acronis Disk Director when I press C to do so the computer reboots If I boot into Acronis Disk Director and manually create an NTFS partition set it active then boot from the Windows I bought a dodgy laptop. Let's figure out what's wrong with it XP disc I press enter to install onto that partition and it gets stuck almost immediately after that at the part where it says quot examining disk id lt numbers gt bus lt numbers gt MBR Sometimes it will reboot instead of freezing I have also tried installing several Linux distros they all freeze early on and I can t tell what part it is that it freezes at I have scanned the entire HD thoroughly with HDD Regenerator and it says there are no errors My thought is maybe the HD is dodgy But HDD Regenerator said the thing is squeaky clean Maybe it s an MBR problem What I plan on trying tomorrow it s bed time now is creating a FAT partition and installing windows I also plan on deleting I bought a dodgy laptop. Let's figure out what's wrong with it the MBR to see if that makes any difference does anyone have any ideas on what this could be or any suggestions for me to try I d appreciate any help I can get nbsp

A:I bought a dodgy laptop. Let's figure out what's wrong with it

Have you got any spare RAM to try in it? Any amount will prove the point--even 512MB.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-bought-a-dodgy-laptop-lets-figure-out-whats-wrong-with-it.161282/
Relevancy 21.93%

Hi,

I format my Lenovo y530 notebook today. But there is a problem. After installation, Windows7 doesn't see my videocard. I can't remember exactly but I have a G-force 9300M or 9500M. But in Computer Management, It shown as "Standart VGA Graphics Adapter". How can I find my video card again?

Please help. Thanks for your answers.

A:Win7 doesn't see my video card. Lenovo y530

Windows 7 has installed a generic driver for the card. You need to go the cards manufacturers site and download the correct driver for windows 7. Then unistall the card in Device Manager and then install the new driver.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/win7-doesnt-see-my-video-card-lenovo-y530.160752/
Relevancy 33.11%

I just installed it
So guyz help me with some technical details
like links for divers update , gaming softwares etc
Any help will be appreciated

Also tell me which games will run on it

Thanks in Advance !!!!!

A:Just bought Radeon HD 4350

I have that card in my machine at work, purely for the dual monitor output capacity. You can probably play any game on it, just not at high/ultra graphical settings or at higher resolutions, also it would probably struggle with Anti-aliasing(AA) and higher anisotropic filtering(AF) settings . Suggest sticking to 1280x1024 or lower resolution.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/just-bought-radeon-hd-4350.158453/
Relevancy 33.54%

I m deployed and nobody here is into computers so I had to share with you guys I can t wait to get home and set it up It should only beat me to the house by a couple a weeks I want to overclock it myself If you have any recommendations on something I missed or maybe you have a valid point with one of the part I chose let me know it s not too late to edit my order as they are very backed up with Just bought this, CyberpowerPC! orders due to christmas BASE PRICE CARE Ultra Just bought this, CyberpowerPC! Enhanced Packaging Solution - Protect Your Just bought this, CyberpowerPC! Dream System During Transit CARE CoolerMaster Thermal Fusion Extreme Performance CPU - Thermal Compound Optimized for Thermal Dissipation CARE Professional Wiring for All WIRING Inside The System Chassis - Minimize Cable Exposure Maximize Airflow in Your System CAS Corsair Obsidian Series D Full Tower Gaming Case w x SATA Hot-Swap Drive Bays amp Side-Panel Window CASUPGRADE in Cold Cathode Neon Light Blue Color CD X Double Layer Dual Format DVD -R -RW CD-R RW Drive BLACK COLOR CPU Intel R Core i - GHz M Intel Smart Cache LGA CS FAN Maximum Enermax MM Case Cooling Fans for selected case Maximum Silent Operation RPM Black Color with No LED Enlobal Magnetic Barometric Bearing dBA FAN CyberPower Xtreme Hydro Liquid Cooling Kit MM w Triple Fan CPU amp GPU Liquid Cool Capable Extreme Overclocking Performance Extreme Silent at dBA FREEBIE CU Civilization V Full Version Game FREEBIE CU Star Trek Online Digital Deluxe Game FREEBIE VC StarCraft II Free Trial Coupon with purchase of NVIDIA GTX video card or above HDD TB SATA-III Gb s MB Cache RPM HDD TB x TB Capacity Raid Extreme Performance KEYBOARD Xtreme Gear Black Color Multimedia Internet USB Keyboard MEMORY GB GBx DDR MHz Triple Channel Memory Module Corsair Dominator MOTHERBOARD -Way SLI Support Asus P X D-E Intel X Chipset SLI CrossFireX Mainboard Triple-Channel DDR SATA-III RAID w Audio GbLAN IEEE a USB SATA-III RAID Gen PCIe PCIe X amp PCI MOUSE XtremeGear Optical USB Buttons Gaming Mouse MULTIVIEW Xtreme Performance in SLI CrossFireX Gaming Mode Supports Single Monitor NETWORK Onboard Gigabit LAN Network NOISEREDUCE Sound Absorbing Foam on Side Top And Bottom panels NOISEREDUCE Power Supply Gasket NOISEREDUCE Anti-Vibration Fan Mounts OS Microsoft R Windows R Home Premium -bit Edition OVERCLOCK No Overclocking POWERSUPPLY Watts - Corsair CMPSU- TX Plus Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready RUSH Non-Rush Instant Rebate - Weeks Wait Time - Must Enter Coupon Code quot NORUSH quot during checkout SERVICE STANDARD WARRANTY -YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT SOUND HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD AUDIO VIDEO NVIDIA GeForce GTX SE GB X PCIe Video Card EVGA Superclocked VIDEO NVIDIA GeForce GTX SE GB X PCIe Video Card EVGA Superclocked PRICE ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Coupon NORUSH Non-Rush Instant Rebate - SUBTOTAL Sales Tax N A Shipping UPS Ground ---------------------------------------------------------------------- GRAND TOTAL nbsp

A:Just bought this, CyberpowerPC!

Nice rig and something to look forward to when you get back stateside. You should have no difficulty overclocking to well over 4GHz with those components. Also, thanks for your service to our country.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/just-bought-this-cyberpowerpc.158409/
Relevancy 21.5%

heya everyone,

I hope someone here can help.

I have windows 7 ultimate and a nvidia network card.

when Deep Freeze is set to Boot Frozen - my network will not work "Unidentified Network" unless i manually change the IP. Same thing happens even if Auto IP is set..

But when Deep Freeze is set to Thawed - my network works perfect.

i have tested this with the lastest verison of DF and a older one and same probelm.
Can anyone point me in the right direction.

thanks in advance,

A:Deep freeze Win7 problem, network stops working

There may be a compatibility problem between Deep Freeze and Windows 7

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/deep-freeze-win7-problem-network-stops-working.154960/
Relevancy 22.36%

I am having some serious head-ache troubles and I am at a stand still. I have done all of the following in different orders to no avail: disable/enable card, uninstall card/drivers, uninstall all nvidia folders(physx,drivers,etc), drivesweeper'd everything, reinstalled latest drivers. Also, I believe that the main problem was Windows 7 was detecting and installing the drivers and further delaying the problem, so I turned of automatic updates and installations. Yet, it still sees' it as a 295gtx even if it doesnt install any drivers.Finally, I obviously cant get any video from it and have to use on-board to navigate. Any thoughts out there that could diagnose the problem? Possibly card bios update needed? Thanks ahead of time for any information.

A:Win7 64 260gtx recognized as 295gtx?

did you just get the video card and if you did, did you buy it used or new. If you didnt just buy the video card did you try to flash the bios.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/win7-64-260gtx-recognized-as-295gtx.153802/
Relevancy 21.93%

hi
i have a win7 video driver gateway 7330
loaded win7 ultimate
video driver flaged in dev mngr
probably need audio drv also
video seems fine no sound after install

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/win7-video-driver-gateway-7330.153571/
Relevancy 22.36%

Im unsure which OS I should use on my old laptop for college. Im currently attending John jay college and every computer there is using windows XP. So for reports, etc I would need it to be able to open and view on a windows PC if necessary. I currently have Windows Vista 32bit Home Premium.

My system is as follows:

I was looking into Windows 7 Home premium, or Ubuntu.
*Im unsure but I believe my laptop wont run with 64bit Win7 but I dont understand the requirements for that.

I need a computer that will shut off quickly for changing classes. I have to keep my laptop plugged in b/c this laptop battery wont last.

Which would you recommend?

A:Win7 or Ubuntu for college

Vista will do everything you want, so why change?
You could easily dual-boot Ubuntu, and Open Office will open just about any document.
The Win7 upgrade adviser may help:
https://www.microsoft.com/downloads...90-7659-4bd9-9e51-2497c146af15&displaylang=en

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/win7-or-ubuntu-for-college.152171/
Relevancy 20.64%

My razer deathadder recently died and I couldn't afford another one, so I went for something cheaper

I got the intellimouse 3.0 and i'm not too impressed

I have the pointer speed set on the fastest setting, but when you are moving the pointer around slowly it jerks in increments of of a millimetre or so, and its quite frustrating when gaming, especially in sniper situations

Is there any way to make it smoother?

A:Microsoft Intellimouse 3.0 - making it smoother?

If you haven't already, install the intellipoint driver. Although the mouse will work using the native Windows driver, you will have fuller use of its capabilities if you install the latest driver.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/microsoft-intellimouse-3-0-making-it-smoother.151804/
Relevancy 19.78%

My home desktop is connected to a wireless router through AT&T U-verse and it's broadcasting just fine. I can see the name and everything when I try and connect on my laptop but there is always an error that brings me to a troubleshooting screen. I've made sure the password is correct by going to Start-Run, IPCONFIG and then typing my IP address into the address bar in my browser. I dont know what else I can do, I feel like I've tried everything! Help please.

A:Laptop (Win7 Dell Inspiron 1525) won't connect to desktop (XP Dell) wireless router

Sometimes, you need to replace the router.
Sometimes, you can call your service provider and ask them to take a look on line to see if the subscription needs to be refreshed.
But often, all that is needed (despite the fact that it is a lot of work) is to uninstall your existing system, then reboot, and reinstall everything.
You might also find success by looking at your device manager in Windows to see if you have any grey, red, or yellow flags by any related device. That may show you have a permanent hardware failure if you cannot restore it, then you are off to the store or your provider for a new cable modem or router.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-win7-dell-inspiron-1525-wont-connect-to-desktop-xp-dell-wireless-router.149377/
Relevancy 22.36%

I ve never had a problem with my display card before I upgraded to windows My fps in IAH Dragonica is running at approximately - It was a smooth ish before There is also a considerable amount of lag in games like Outspark s Secret of the Solstice and NCsoft s Aion which I normally played with little to no lag on windows xp I have read around and saw something about ATI dropping support for the xx cards in win but that was said in articles last year I could not find anything recent about compatibility between the x win7 Slower upgrade fps after xx and win I have installed a vista version of the ATI Catalyst since it was encouraged I m not a computer-hardware-configuration-tweaking-saavy person so you might have to baby Slower fps after win7 upgrade me through this Could someone help me with configuring my computer to accommodate the new OS I would very much prefer to keep the card and just configure it to the best settings possible Maybe upgrade a few things like RAM if needed I do not have a big budget but am willing to spend a little if that is what it takes Thank you in advance Intel Pentium D Dual Core GHz GB RAM Slower fps after win7 upgrade Windows Ultimate bit ATI Radeon x series MB Latest version of ATI Catalyst for Vista If there is anything else you need to know in order to help me out I m more than happy to look it up and tell you nbsp

A:Slower fps after win7 upgrade

Latest version of ATI Catalyst for VistaClick to expand...

When you say latest, do you mean 9.3? That was the last Catalyst version that supported your card.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/slower-fps-after-win7-upgrade.148300/
Relevancy 33.11%

I bought a Intel pentium dual core 2.67ghz 805 system, by emachine. Only problem , i have 2 yellow question marks in device manger, something called " PCI DEVICE , and SM bus controller, but i cant find any drivers for whatever they are. I look over at emachine, no such drivers, from intel.com, can't find anything.

A:Just bought a dual core, need help

If you're talking about that AMD you have in your system specs, it won't fit, but it sounds like your computer is running, so its probably a different one.

PCI Device doesn't have anything to do with the processor, if you have a PCI device, directly search for drivers for that device...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/just-bought-a-dual-core-need-help.141043/
Relevancy 22.36%

my brother has an acer 5335 that was bought with windows vista basic. I have recently upgraded his laptop to Window 7 ultimate and now he has no stereo mixer. The stereo mixer was fine on vista and i have downloaded latest audio drivers and enabled all audio devices in recording options yet still no success. Any ideas?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-stereo-mix-after-upgrade-to-win7.143569/
Relevancy 31.82%

Hello, at Christmas i bought a notebook PC. It had features like a webcam, and they did not work. So we took it back and bought a hp pavilion dv6 PC. It has a 64-bit operating system, GB free local disk with 396 free and windows 7 for an operating system. i download some music, i have messenger, and i have internet explore to browse and use Facebook, yet it my PC is working like a piece of crap, Ive been in my recycling bin and deleting everything i get a chance at. My browsing history is deleted, i have Norton if that could be the case but i have the "NEW" Norton which is suppose to be better the sales man told me. Please post a comment when you get a chance .

A:Hp pavilion dv6 notebook pc running super slow, bought at christmas

Please follow these 8-steps and post all the logs here for review and further advice.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-pavilion-dv6-notebook-pc-running-super-slow-bought-at-christmas.142881/
Relevancy 22.36%

If it s not one thing it s another to - audio Upgraded Win7 not various working I m having a bad week with audio it seems On my main PC I upgraded to Windows a Upgraded to Win7 - various audio not working couple of weeks back Now skype is failling ventrilo is failing After doing a little research ventrilo FAQ s confirmed what i suspected There is something seriously wrong with your sound card drivers or sound mixer configuration Here is what I have as far as audio mobo MOTHERBOARD Asus P T SE Intel X Chipset CrossFireX Mainboard Triple-Channel DDR SATA RAID w eSATA GbLAN USB IEEE a amp Audio TechSpot reviewed it highly and I went for it I did find this for drivers http members driverguide com driver detail php driverid amp action winfo but I m not familiar with this site and as I mentioned in another thread I m not very well versed in Mobo Sound card driver updating etc Can one of you kind techspot folks point me in the right direction nbsp

A:Upgraded to Win7 - various audio not working

OK~ I haven't given up on my own search and it dawned on me to just go to the asus site! genious ain't I? LOL

I found this: http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P6T SE&product=1

Is it safe for me to just download the audio drivers for this mobo and proceed?

THANKS!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/upgraded-to-win7-various-audio-not-working.140506/
Relevancy 32.68%

Hi i have recently bought a Pc - with slots PCI - PCIX and AGP PRO and a graphics card- Ge force GS mb PNY from what i can tell they should be compatible i have got the graphics card and then opened up my pc taken the old one out and placed the new one in its place when i turn my pc back on its comes up with the normal writing in white then it goes onto a blank screen just before the Windows loading screen SHOULD come up the last thing it says is quot Media test failed Check is Just blank a screen card bought and my new graphics just cable quot i have no clue Solutions that i have tried i put the old card back in and turned it on fine and put the new graphics cards disk in and installed the drivers with Just bought a new graphics card and my screen is just blank the new card Just bought a new graphics card and my screen is just blank in another slot so it would actually install then i took the old one out and put the new one in on its own Still blank screen i also tried it in every slot i have nbsp

A:Just bought a new graphics card and my screen is just blank

ok try this download driver sweeper use it to uninstall the nvidia display drivers then install the newest drivers from the nvidia web site for your card and that should fix it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/just-bought-a-new-graphics-card-and-my-screen-is-just-blank.139508/
Relevancy 22.36%

I'm getting components together for a replacement for my E6400 machine.So far I have
Centurion 5 case
24" monitor
win 7 64bit
1T hard drive & 320 hard drive
2 DVD burners (blu ray later)
Pny 9800 GT 1024mb EF
Earthwatt 500 EA500 PSU(2yr old never used)
i5 cpu(don't have yet )
Undecided on motherboard and ram(leaning toward Gigabyte)
I don't do much gaming or overclocking but I'd like too be able to if I want
My questions are
Will my power supply be enough?
Is my video card OK ( I can still take it back pd $100 for it )
Need help on motherboard (don't need a high end one but a good one )
Need ram 4 g or More ?
I'll be buying this from Newegg
Thanks for your advice an help
I've enjoyed this forum its been most helpful

A:Suggestion for Core i5, Win7 build

I would look for a more powerful PSU if your looking to go i5 and have a decent videocard. The 9800GT in your current build is fine, pretty balanced, but with an i5 the 9800GT is going to be your weak link, I would really look to step up the videocard while your at it. 4GB of RAM should be plenty enough also.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/suggestion-for-core-i5-win7-build.138798/
Relevancy 20.64%

Hi

I recently reinstalled windows xp on my ibm t43 but now I can't connect to the Internet. I've tried everything I know which is very little, but I can't find the wireless conection that is in my house.

I'm in need of some help... Please

A:Can't connect to Internet after reinstalling Microsoft XP

Hi Speedracer :wave:

I am not a mod, but
Welcome to :grinthumb

When I arrived, one of the Mods welcomed me with these helpful hints.

You should read how to post a new thread in this Guide.

Before posting you should read all the Posting Guidelines.

To access technical support you may go to the Forums.

Many users like to post system specs in their Profile.
System Specs are always helpful when you seek support, (see the first two suggestions).
And helpers may ask that you post some of your specs in your thread.

You can access many other online TechSpot guides Here.

Enjoy your Stay

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-connect-to-internet-after-reinstalling-microsoft-xp.139114/
Relevancy 20.21%

I am new to Exchange Server 2003 and I have a friend with a network server that I don't know how to re-establish a user to the network. I moved one of his non used computers to this station and now when I try to log in the user I get the error that the name can't be verified because Outlook is not connected or online. This computer used to be online with a different user. Can anyone tell me the steps to check this? Thanks.

A:Outlook not connected in Microsoft Exchange Server

You would benefit from the server handbook or an outlook manual... too much to explain here in usable terms, methinks.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/outlook-not-connected-in-microsoft-exchange-server.137647/
Relevancy 33.11%

Hi, recently bought my first computer (used), I have question about what is installed in my pci slots.

I have 3 pci-slots (1 open) on the two that have a card installed, I don't know what those cards are or what they do, although I think one of them is a "lan" controller or something like that.

I use internet via wireless adapter.

I would like to free up those pci-slots, but first I need to know what is in the pci slots and if I need them or not.

Is there a way for the computer to tell me the exact hardware that is installed in my pci slots ?

I tried "system information" via accessories but that didn't tell me.

After I find out what's installed, I need to know what it does and if I should keep it installed, thanks!

A:Just bought a used computer, what is installed in my PCI slots?

Without being able to see it with our own eyes the best we can do is take a guess.

PCI slots can hold many different types of cards including video, ethernet, wireless, and firewire to name a few.

I suggest downloading a nifty little too called SIW (System Information for Windows). It is free and quite safe. Check it out and you should be able to find out all kinds of information about your system.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/just-bought-a-used-computer-what-is-installed-in-my-pci-slots.136200/
Relevancy 33.11%

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMG

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814162022

I bought it from best buy 84 bucks. About to install soon, feedback later.

A:Just bought my first ever PCIE card

ouch.... nice card though.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/just-bought-my-first-ever-pcie-card.134853/
Relevancy 32.68%

Hi folks,

This is my first post over here but it isn't for good reason Unfortunately.

Today I have bought a new Toshiba Satelite A300 1TM.

But It cannot power on.

I am curious if I am the only one I have met with such a problem.

A:Toshiba A300 Satelite cannot power on (first day I bought it)

"Today I have bought a new Toshiba Satelite A300 1TM, but It cannot power on"...

Are you kidding us? Have you plugged in the AC adapter and charged the battery? If so, take it back to where you bought it and have them fix or replace it for you

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/toshiba-a300-satelite-cannot-power-on-first-day-i-bought-it.132602/
Relevancy 20.64%

Hello I recently bought and installed the Flight Simulator X Acceleration Pack X Flight Simulator Microsoft in my laptop but when I play it I have a poor performance such as low FPS and chopped gameplay so I have weather scenary and traffic in very low but Microsoft Flight Simulator X for the resolution Microsoft Flight Simulator X it is the same for my computer to use a low one x than the higher one x Does anybody know how I can fix it My laptop has the following specification Acer Aspire Z OS Windows Vista bit with DirectX Processor Intel Pentium dual-core T GHz MHz FSB MB L Cache GB RAM BG HDD Video Card MB Mobile Intel Graphic Media Accelerator X Chipset Mobile Intel R Express Chipset Family Controller Version I am not sure if it is because it uses a lot of CPU resources or if it is because of the processor or the Video Card I have other games as Age of Empires and it has a high performance even if guns are firing Thanks nbsp

A:Microsoft Flight Simulator X

Everybody complains about this. I think the program is a resource from the jump.

Now FS2004, that will run great on anything. And it doesn't have to be activated.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/microsoft-flight-simulator-x.131939/
Relevancy 20.64%

I am connected to a network domain. When I go to My network places>Entire Network>Microsoft Windows Network>Domain I can see all networked computers when I am wired in but when I connect wirelessly I cannot. I use a "Wireless access point" connected to my firewall router. I have tried disabling the wireless firewall and assigning a static IP. I am logged into the domain but the only way to can view the other computers on the network is to connect through a wired connection. I'm thinking it has to be a setting in my Wireless router but I cannot figure it out.

A:Viewing Microsoft windows network

Hi

when you connect via the wire, and via wireless is the ip address,subnet and default gateway in the same range ?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/viewing-microsoft-windows-network.131090/
Relevancy 22.36%

For some time my desktop XP doesn't see my wife's Vista desktop although hers can see mine. Now she has installed release candidate Win7 on her laptop and it doesn't seem to see anything else. I'm not very good with networks. Can anyone help or direct me to some reference material that might help?

Thanks in advance

A:XP, Vista, Win7 not seeing each other on network

Windows 7 tries to create something called a homegroup when it is first connected to a new network. The whole 'homegroup' protocol works only between Windows 7 machines and will make the Win 7 computer invisible to anything but another Win 7 machine configured to be within the same 'homegroup'. You'll need to play with the network setting to get rid of the homegroup and enable the old fashioned sharing model if you want the XP computer to access files on the Win 7 one.

As for Vista, I believe that sharing and security were oomphed a bit and the OS simply doesn't do any kind of sharing by default. I'm not entirely sure if that's the issue for you but it sounds rather plausible.

P.S. To get rid of the homegroup you do the following (preferably while the Win 7 computer is connected to your home network):

- Click on the connection's icon in the notification area
- Select Open Network and Sharing Center
- Select Homegroup and Sharing Options
- Select Change Advanced Sharing Options
- Assuming your home network has been marked as a 'safe' (home or work network) you want to change the options under 'Home or Work'
- Enable network discovery and the anything else you might need (file and printer sharing, public folder sharing, media streaming, etc.). I'd also recommend enabling 128 bit encryption for extra security but if you're still having issue turn it down to 40 bit encryption.
- If you want to do file sharing also choose to use password protected sharing and select the 'Use user accounts and passwords to connect to other computers' option as well.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/xp-vista-win7-not-seeing-each-other-on-network.131104/
Relevancy 33.11%

Wow, I just bought a very small HTPC keyboard, Just $40.

Weeks ago, I surfed in youtube and found a very small and useful HTPC keyboard. Thought several days and bought it because it is very small, useful and cheap compared to other HTPC keyboards in the market.

So exciting when I received and it is very good.

Share it with you - find it at efo.buy-lowest dot com

A:Wow, I just bought a very small HTPC keyboard, Just $40

Good for you

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wow-i-just-bought-a-very-small-htpc-keyboard-just-40.129747/
Relevancy 33.54%

I just picked up a new PNY Nvidia 9800GT. I'm getting some significant heat issues. When idling the GPU is at about 55C which isn't too bad, but when I game, even for a few minutes, temperatures jump to about 70C. As this is dangerous for the card, I want to try to bring that down a few degrees. Should I use fan, heat sink, gel? I've never done a cooling project before. Also could somebody reccommend me a good 700W PSU?

A:Just bought new GPU, need help with a little cooling

As this is dangerous for the cardClick to expand...

Not particularly.

Also could somebody reccommend me a good 700W PSU?Click to expand...

Because more power will not only help, but cool it too!!!!

Anyway, you will want to get software like EVGA Precision and manually turn down up fanspeeds since default is normally around 25% - 35% fan speed. Again, 70c isn't really dangerous, it is just about borderline.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/just-bought-new-gpu-need-help-with-a-little-cooling.129374/
Relevancy 31.39%

I should state upfront that I guru: - it Attention just a $2500 was I bought an hardware mistake? laptop expensive have not yet booted up this laptop and I am not Attention hardware guru: I just bought an expensive laptop - was it a $2500 mistake? a gamer The laptop is still boxed up wrapped tight and still sealed with the manufacturers wrapping tape The base price for this laptop is I paid for it because I m a speed freak No I don t need a drug intervention but thanks anyway Dr Drew More on that I customized my brand new laptop because of my need for speed I customized it primarily for work and school projects to stuff Between to I m a workhorse I m all business between - All I know is that when I use the computer to work on a school or work project and I experience a slowdown or blockage I get mad I act like a racehorse who s stuck in quicksand I have a little meltdown is what I m saying So that Attention hardware guru: I just bought an expensive laptop - was it a $2500 mistake? s why when I got ready to order a laptop I told myself I must place a priority - a high priority - on speed So I built it with gigs of RAM and a quad core processor The gigs of RAM and the quad core processor is why it went from being a laptop to a laptop no desktop thank you I bought a laptop so I could get out of the house and work away from home or days a week My question is for the hardware savvy person out there did I make a mistake in ramping up a laptop to the tune of in my all out quest balls to the wall need for speed Is the money that went towards the quad core gonna be worth it when everything is said and done Before you answer that you need to know what I ll be using it for I m going to build websites with Wordpress and Dreamweaver I might be using several programs at once Programs like Photoshop Dreamweaver and Flash I might even have a web based video tutorial open when I m using Photoshop or Dreamweaver In a nutshell I ll be using a lot of Adobe software I ll note that there s no need to point out that I could ve gotten far more for my money by buying a desktop That s a given That goes without saying I already have a high performance desktop for work and school I bought the laptop because I need a portable computer that is easy to transport a computer that I can place in the back seat of my car or carry on my back when I ride a bicycle or chopper to work or school A desktop was not an option So now that you know all there is to know don t hold back with your answer If I made a mistake just say so Or maybe I bought the perfect laptop one that has the type of speed that a busy body like me can utilize A laptop that ll handle anything a worker bee can throw at it years down the road Most of all would I or anyone else be able to appreciate and fully utilize the speed and power of gigs of RAM along with a quad core processor when compared to a machine that has gigs and a duo core processor Either way tell me what you think because I want THE TRUTH and unlike Tom I can handle the truth OS Vista bit Hard drive rpm Memory gigs of RAM GPU GB Nvidia GeForce GT M Processor Intel Core Quad Processor Q Ghz The Rig Itself http www shopping hp com series category notebooks HDX t series computer store nbsp

A:Attention hardware guru: I just bought an expensive laptop - was it a $2500 mistake?

Its not a mistake if you need the speed. You certainly could have gotten something with a higher performance/dollar ratio, but if you absolutely need the speed then that doesn't matter.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/attention-hardware-guru-i-just-bought-an-expensive-laptop-was-it-a-2500-mistake.128820/
Relevancy 33.54%

Upgraded from a 128mb 9600 ati card to the ati radeon x1650 512mb

I hooked it up, used the CD let it install all the crap and downloaded the drivers, my computer since then is now sluggish, All my windows and internet windows are moving sluggish with a wavy effect, when I try to run WoW it tells me it couldn't find a suitable display device, so I have no idea wtf the deal is....

It's taking me almost 30 mins to navigate here and finally make a damn thread

A:Just bought a new card

Sounds like your onboard is still enable or you install the wrong drivers. Uninstall the drivers, use driver cleaner, install the new drivers with the new card, and make sure your onboard is disable.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/just-bought-a-new-card.126743/
Relevancy 20.64%

I noticed when I turned on my computer today it said it was unable to install some drivers. I look in my device manager and it has the yellow exclamation mark by the following:

Microsoft 6to4 Adapter
Microsoft 6to4 Adapter #2
Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #5

My system is a Dell XPS 630i on Vista 32bit home premium.

I immediately went to the Dell site and installed all the latest drivers and the bios as well but this did not fix the problem.

I am able to connect to the internet. Is this a problem and if so can somone wizard help me troubleshoot it?

Cheers in advance

A:Microsoft 6to4 adapter

Delete these drivers in the Device Manager and restart your system. See if Vista reinstalls these automatically

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/microsoft-6to4-adapter.126383/
Relevancy 32.68%

I bought it for 40bucks, its a Dell Desktop Dell Optiplex Intel celeron D 2.8ghz, one pciex1 slot, and 3 pci slots. 2GB of memory, Windows Pro edition(which i plan to install), 250Watts PSU(i am buying a 400watts Spare).

So i am curious what can i expect?
I am picking up the rig next monday

Also, what can i expect from that computer vs my Pentium III 600mhz?

A:Finally Bought my Secondary Computer, What to expect?

Well, for one it's going to be a LOT faster than your P3 600....

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/finally-bought-my-secondary-computer-what-to-expect.123954/
Relevancy 20.64%

My Microsoft Habu mouse freezes when at some game servers, I play mainly DFX and in some servers where plenty of action is going on, the "nice" mouse freezes for several seconds, about 5 to 10 seconds....specially if I swirl it.

My PC is home built with an Intel Q6750, 22 inches samsung lcd monitor, G 15 Logitech KB, 4 G memory Mushkin, GForce 280 Video card, nfORCE 780I MOBO,Thermaltake 750 PSU, several fans and a V1 cpu cooler. I run Windows XP Pro 32.

Any idea why this is happening, the driver version is 2.12 and firmware is 2.03 on the mouse. I am about to dump it to the garbage can, any suggestion about a real good and reliable mouse, cost is no issue...

Tks

A:Microsoft Habu mouse troubles

Go with a moderately priced Logitec gaming mouse

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/microsoft-habu-mouse-troubles.123378/
Relevancy 20.64%

when i try to change the font in excel or word it freezes and then crashes. but it doesn't do this with power point or one note. i have reinstalled it, deleted the normal.dot thing but nothing seems to work. and yes i have done the Microsoft diagnostics but it says that it should be working fine. so it would be nice if some 1 knew why this happens and how to fix it

A:Microsoft Word 07 freezes

any 1? come on there must be some 1 that has had this happen to them and know a fix for this

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/microsoft-word-07-freezes.119814/
Relevancy 20.64%

We have a new WSUS server running WSUS 3.0 sp1 on Windows Server 2008. I'm new to this so I was wondering if anybody would know it's it's capability be to deploy non-Microsoft installs and upgrades. I'm specificially thinking about Adobe products (mostly Adobe Acrobat). We will need to upgrade all of the computers on our network from version Acrobat 8 to version 9 pretty soon. Will there be a way to do that? Will there be a way to deploy updates when they come out? Or just one or the other? Is that pretty much up to the individual vendor? Do they have to make a special package that we put on the server? Or can we make one ourselves? Would that be hard?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wsus-for-non-microsoft-products.119548/
Relevancy 20.64%

Hello i am new to this forum so please excuse my ignorance I bought a Microsoft Lifecam VX- quite a while ago So after Installing the product successfully I get a message to connect the webcam The little bubble pops up in the bottom right hand corner and what comes up is the following message Found New VX-3000 Problems Microsoft Lifecam Hardware A problem occured during hardware installation Your new hardware might not work properly So after I got that message I did the next logical step Uninstall and Reinstall After going through everything I still get the error message Next I check and see if Microsoft Lifecam VX-3000 Problems there is new software on the Microsoft website for this product Luckily for me there was So I go ahead and download and install it LifeCam exe but unfortunatley it still doesnt work So i go into Control Panel to add new hardware but that comes up with the error message Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware The driver may be corrupted or missing Code I also took it to a relatives house to try it on there computer and to my horror it worked perfectly So it must be something to do with my computer Any useful help is appreciated nbsp

A:Microsoft Lifecam VX-3000 Problems

If no one can help me with my problem, can anyone point me in the right direction on where I can resolve it. (Other than Microsoft Customer Support that is, that's definitely a last resort).

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/microsoft-lifecam-vx-3000-problems.118681/
Relevancy 19.78%

I currently have a pc that was windows 2000 that is now not working. I recently put a new hard drive into the pc and it currently store all my music (itunes) and document flies. I would like to if it is possible to take the hard drive out and connect it to my other computer externally. The only other issue is the other computer is running on vista. Is it possible to do this?

A:Can I make my internal HD external and I change the type of microsoft it runs with?

Yes, you can take that hard drive out of the 2k machine and read it just fine in Vista. What you can't do is take your OS drive from 2k and boot another machine with it, but I don't think that is what you were asking.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-i-make-my-internal-hd-external-and-i-change-the-type-of-microsoft-it-runs-with.114513/
Relevancy 18.06%

Ok, so i got kinda a blue screen yeah . I tried to start a video chat on msn, well the computer decided not to like that. Anyway, now i get this message every time i try to install my sound drivers

"Microsoft bus should be loaded into your system before installing realteck HD audio driver"

My mobo

Using onboard sound.

Googled, read, looked around, ran windows repair, help? pls? thanks guys

A:Microsoft bus should be loaded into your system.... "error"

after googleing, i found 2 potential solutions:

Right click on My Computer, go to Properties, Hardware Tab, Device Manager. Look for any yellow bubbles next to the devices. If you see any, right click on it and click install driver. Select the option to find the drivers yourself, the next screen should allow you to browse and navigate to that folder. If the drivers still don't install then go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com in IE and get any hardware updates you can get. The MS bus driver might be an update you need to get.Click to expand...

I installed WinXP once more, installed SP2 and then the Sound Driver.
Again it didnt work.
(DAMMIT!)

Then I remembered that i actually had changed a sound card setting in the bios. (No i did not diasble the soundcard )

The case i have installed this Mboard in has a front pannel.
And the Mboard has a front panel connector.

To connect the front pannel I had turned to the manual to get the rigtht pins set up.
The manual states on page 2-31 that:
"The default setting for this connector is legacy AC'97 audio, if you want to use the High Definition (Azalia) audio features, set the AC97 & Azalia Link A in the BIOS to Azalia."

Well this case does not use a high-definition audio front panel, so of course i had diasbled the Azalia Link i Bios.
(It was enabled in the Bios even when the manual said that the default setting was AC'97, ow well ... )

For "fun" i just tried to put it back to the setting it was when i installed the Mboard (Azalia), and then, bingo, the sound card worked in windows.Click to expand...

seems like a very rare problem.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/microsoft-bus-should-be-loaded-into-your-system-error.50870/
Relevancy 20.64%

Lots of valuable information in that file I'd like to access. I was able to create a new Outlook file in safe mode so I guess the program is OK.

It was suggested to me recently the cause may have been due to me having Microsoft Service Pack 1 at the time. I had not updated to Service Pak 2 (which I now believe has been updated to Service Pak 3). Has anyone had experience with this and, if so, do you think there's a chance that if I update my Service Pak that I might still have a chance of recovering the data I had in my original Outlook file?

A:Still unable to open Microsoft Outlook

I dont think just upgrading to service pack 3 would do any good.

May be you need some more luck there.

Hope you get the help you need

Regards

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/still-unable-to-open-microsoft-outlook.110662/
Relevancy 33.54%

my brother just bought a dell latitude d610 from craigslist and it had no charger, the guy said it worked, so we wnt i found a cheap charger, charged it up then, this grey screen popped up, i tried to contact the guy who sold it to me but no response, so we checked on the net and saw that people unlock their laptop on this site can someone please unlock this, i really dont want this to be a waste of money, its a 595b lock

please help and i hope im not bothering, thanx

A:Please Help my bro just bought this on craigslist

as far as i know tha lock can only be reset by Dell. But you could try to remove the cmos battery

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/please-help-my-bro-just-bought-this-on-craigslist.109453/
Relevancy 20.64%

Been trying to solve problems with my graphics card for ages think i've finally found it

in IRQs i have about 100
"Microsoft ACPI compliant system"

why do i need so many?

is this a error?

i was hoping someone would know something about these and why i have so many.

just got me worried when the list appeared with loads of them on,

system specs:-

OS: Running vista ultimate 64bit & XP Home with 2 Hardrives
Case: Coolermaster Black NVIDIA Edition Stacker 830
Power: CM Realpower 850W Modular PSU
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme Edition QX6850 3.0ghz Kentsfield
Motherbaord: Asus Extreme Sriker II 780i
Controllers: Scythe Kama-Meter Multi Functional Controller
Memory: Corsair 2GB DDR2 XMS2 Dominator PC2-8500C5 TwinX
Drive: ASUS DRW-2014L1T DVD/RW DRIVE
Storage: 2 x Samsung SpinPoint T 160GB SATA-II
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic 7.1 Sound Card
Graphics: 512MB BFG Tech 8800GTS

hope someone can help.

A:Microsoft ACPI compliant system? too many?

That is not a normal thing imo.

In Bios;

Make sure your Advanced setting for Plug and Play OS is set to Yes.

Then, under Power, set the ACPI APIC Support to Disabled for now.

Boot and see what, if anything, changes.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/microsoft-acpi-compliant-system-too-many.109509/
Relevancy 20.64%

Hello,
I just bought a Razer Reclusa keyboard and the only problem I'm having is that it does not "power up" so to speak until after post. If I needed to get into the BIOS I could press [del] a million times and nothing would happen. Once windows starts up, it works fine. Is this just the way the keyboard is? I'd appreciate any info.
Thanks.

A:Microsoft Razer Reclusa Keyboard

Haven't looked up that keyboard, but I think I know what it is (the fix) anyway.

You need to get into your BIOS (with another keyboard, ideally PS/2 if you have the connection)
Then set Enable for USB Keyboard/Mouse support

I think that may be a bit of a mind teaser to do, but I'm sure you'll work it out

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/microsoft-razer-reclusa-keyboard.109352/
Relevancy 20.64%

Well I was in the market Zune Microsoft 30GB for a new mp player as I broke my old Creative Zen MicroPhoto and ended up buying a Zune on ebay they are not actually available for sale in stores in Australia First Microsoft Zune 30GB off I was expecting a much larger box for it to arive in I was kind of suprised that it was as small as it was not that its really small though The layout of the box is kinda neat though Headphones that came with it are pretty good for default earbuds they also are magnetic and have small little clips on the back so you can clip together back to back Nifty and rather handy I have found Video quality is very nice for an mp player I think Although I dont use it for video just music I have watched the little videos that came on it I thought they were very nice quality It has WiFi novelty maybe but not a feature I really care about and think I will ever use Interface looks nice and performs well although I do prefer the interface of my old Zen MicroPhoto I am dissapointed that you cant use the device as a portable hard drive I have read that you can do a couple of changes to your windows registry and it will show up as a portable hard drive But I dont really care about this I have flash drives that are sufficient for my portable storage needs Its not perfect and has no extraordinary features but If you are in the market for a mp player and don t like iPods as I do consider a Zune If anyone has any questions about the Zune I will be happy to help you as best I can nbsp

A:Microsoft Zune 30GB

Did it come with the new firmware ? When the second generation of Zune players came out, it was officially possible to upgrade old Zune players to the second generation firmware.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/microsoft-zune-30gb.101363/
Relevancy 33.54%

Now neither CD drive is recognized by Device Manager, I'm sure this is a simple fix.So

Would you guys want:
A: Everest LOG?

thanks,

A:Well I bought a new burner put it in

Try this fix (for Windows Xp)

Save the reg file to Desktop (right click->Save as)
Double click on it
Yes merge to registry
Restart
Reply back

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cd_dvd_fix.htm

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/well-i-bought-a-new-burner-put-it-in.106268/
Relevancy 20.21%

I have a ATI Radeon 9200 AGP graphics card however it only has hardware acceleration when i install Microsofts drivers. When i install the ATI Catylist drivers then dxidag shows accelaration greyed out. I have an AGP 3.0 slot.
Is there a specific driver that i am suppose to install as this card was given to me second hand?
What could be the cause of this?

A:ATI Radeon 9200 only works with Microsoft drivers

Fully uninstall the ATI program
You may also use the ATI uninstall program to be very thorough.

Download the most up to date ATI program(drivers) for your card
Re-install and test again.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ati-radeon-9200-only-works-with-microsoft-drivers.102930/
Relevancy 20.64%

Hello guys I just purchassed a laptop HP Pavilion dv cl Entertainment Notebook PC After the very first thing I did opening it from the box and setting it to Cannot only Microsoft connect sites up I tried to connect on the internet I found Cannot connect only to Microsoft sites that Cannot connect only to Microsoft sites all Microsoft related sites refused to connect and of course Windows Update too I am able to connect to Google Yahoo and some other sites but as I said cannot connect to Microsoft IE shows website found Loading but it never does I struggled to fix this issue by going to HP support site thinking to update Ethernet drivers and so but all in vain I also tried to use a couple of drivers from NVIDIA s site but it was helpless The other thing is that at HP Drivers and Support site my hardware does not match For this specific model there is provided software for the hardware that is not present in my l-top For instance bluetooth is not present in my l-top and when I downloaded the Network driver and tried to apply the update an error message was displayed as no bluetooth device is present on the system which aborted the further installation I also have different type of Optical Drive I tried to contact HP Online Support but it kept showing connecting without ever finishing it To this writing I am not in the States and also when I set up the l-top for the first time I was out of US if it does make any difference I know that nothing is wrong with my ISP because I can connect another PC and the network works just fine I really need help in this matter AMD Athlon x TK- Mother Board manufacturer QUANTA MODEL CF CHIPSET NVIDIA nForce Rev Graphics NVIDIA GeForce Go M nbsp

A:Cannot connect only to Microsoft sites

what operating system did you install?
did you also install a firewall program or any other "freeware" utilities for internet security and stuff?
did you try a different browser such as firefox?

please post back
mscrx

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cannot-connect-only-to-microsoft-sites.100680/
Relevancy 32.25%

My System Dell dimension desktop everything stock except a plextor dvd rw drive this system is about dvd rw I bought an a party. third got plextor older drive problem from i with a and a I got a problem with an older plextor dvd rw drive i bought from a third party. half years old and its running windows xp- home edition The drive i bought off of craigslist So i got home and installed the plextor drive about weeks ago it plays dvd s without any problems But it wont back-up any dvd s because it says they are copyright protected I just want to back up my movies because i am hard on them The only software for burning them i have is roxio sonic program that came stock on my I got a problem with an older plextor dvd rw drive i bought from a third party. system Is it possible to back them up Ok the main problem now Like i said it plays dvd s and data discs fine But when i put an audio disc in nothing happens So i went into my computer and right-click open it says the drive is unaccesible due to an I O error this just stopped working about days ago when i defragged and disk clean-up ed my computer It doesnt make sense that audios arent working but dvd s and data discs are And i checked the plugs on it and they are all firmly in place and no bent prongs or whatnot physically it seems to be in good shape nbsp

A:I got a problem with an older plextor dvd rw drive i bought from a third party.

Plextors are better than most, but they still burn out like a light bulb. There are three lasers, and a belt drive, and sometimes a drive wheel.
As for the copyright protection, that is likely due to the burning software you are using, and that feature can usually be changed in the setup.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-got-a-problem-with-an-older-plextor-dvd-rw-drive-i-bought-from-a-third-party.100894/
Relevancy 33.11%

that I thought was a CD version of Bandit Kings of Ancient China a couple years back when I first started using eBay the game it turned out was on the old floppy disks and yes I know that I could download the game online but I have Windows Vista and it won t run it so I m back to square one I have taken good care of the disks since having them in a relatively dry place I know some things about computers Bought a game eBay.... on but it is almost completely on the user end of knowledge Bought a game on eBay.... all the hardware software stuff is over my head and I m not unwilling to admit that This is why I m here I haven t a clue if the floppy s are any good other than to say they are in decent looking shape my question is besides possibly having to locate amp buy an old a drive which I d rather not do do any of you guys have one or know anyone that does that perhaps I could send these to you or them and have the info converted on to a CD Or is that even possible nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bought-a-game-on-ebay.100760/
Relevancy 32.68%

Ok, so...
I just bought a new video card, ATI RADEON and I installed it fine and it works fine on my PC, BUT since the moment i restarted my computer after installing it i have not been able to get any sound, I have searched tons of websites for help on what to do and NOTHING has worked, i even had to do PC recovery at a point. Here are the things I've tried:
- PC Recovery
- Remove New card and plug monitor into old slot. (screen doesnt even turn on)
- Reinstall sound driver
-

Someone please help me out with it. I dont want to spend any more money and this computer is my baby.

A:Bought new video card, installed and now NO SOUND

I'd say it's likely become disabled in system CMOS

When restarting press the key that says Hit DEL or F2 or whatever! That gets into CMOS (setup)
Once in CMOS, re-enable onboard Sound
Save and exit (usually F10 key)

Restart and confirm you have sound.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bought-new-video-card-installed-and-now-no-sound.100126/
Relevancy 33.11%

Hi let me a drive question Just hard bought have and new a give you some background so you ll be able to figure Just bought a new hard drive and have a question out what im talking about For the past few years ive had a computer with internal hard drives Master GB Slave GB the slave was from my old computer Recently that slave drive died on me luckily i was able to save all the information to the master drive before it completely died Last week i purchased a brand new GB drive to replace the Slave and installation went great Now here comes my question In the past whenever i needed to do a total system restore the computer would clean the C Drive Master to store bought status while not touching the D Drive Slave which was great because i could save all the info i needed Now that i have a new Hard Drive in place of the old Slave will i be able to do a system restore and have the info i need kept safe intact on my new hard drive One note The new slave drive is named M instead of D Just though id throw that out there incase it made a difference though i think it doesn t Reason i ask is because i didn t install the old slave so i don t know if there is something i need to do to make sure what i want to happen happens Also i want to make sure that after the restore my computer won t ask me to format the slave drive That also would be bad news for my files Thanks for the help nbsp

A:Just bought a new hard drive and have a question

This sort of depends on what restore program you are using. Most likely it will still restore only your primary hard drive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/just-bought-a-new-hard-drive-and-have-a-question.96538/
Relevancy 33.54%

My old one is dead so I replaced it with a new one.

when I go to bios, it doesnt detect it. Primary Master and Slave is always not detected. Ive tried switching the jumper and the connector (black and gray) and it never detects it.

A:I just bought a new HD and I need help installing it.

Okay, I got it detected now after playing with the jumper for a couple of hours. I dont know where to go from here... Any help?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-just-bought-a-new-hd-and-i-need-help-installing-it.90381/
Relevancy 33.54%

I am putting together my own pc, I have never done it before but I thought I would have a go. Everything went fine apart from when I tried to use my hard drive from my old pc. I was told by a friend that my old hard drive is formatted with my old motherboard and I needed to buy a new hard drive and Windows XP software or the only way I could use my old hard drive is to format it again and lose everything on it. Is this true? If so, how do I format a new hard drive? I was told that when booting XP from CD with a new hard drive, it gives you the option of formatting the hard drive before loading the software from the disc

A:Bought a new pc and am having trouble

That is true apart from you don't need a new hard drive, your windows cd will be able to re-format or overwrite your old install. A format is a much better idea just in case you have any malware on the drive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bought-a-new-pc-and-am-having-trouble.87163/