Windows Support Forum

removing ubuntu (linux) from a dual boot system

Q: removing ubuntu (linux) from a dual boot system

i am running windows xp and ubuntu linux on my computer (dual boot) but i can't really get ubuntu to work properly. how would i uninstall it as well as the partition between linux and windows?

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: removing ubuntu (linux) from a dual boot system

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: removing ubuntu (linux) from a dual boot system

how is your machine partitioned?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f64/removing-ubuntu-linux-from-a-dual-boot-system-100751.html
Relevancy 108.79%

Hello everyone I've made my Sony VAIO into a dual-boot machine Win -bit and Ubuntu Linux and I'm having trouble getting into the BIOS When powering up even though I repeatedly press and hold down the DEL key it always goes straight to the GRUB menu And then when I select to load Windows I keep pressing DEL but it goes straight to Windows It doesn't seem to matter how fast I am on the keys - I can't get into the BIOS I have a should I be trying to enter the BIOS before BIOS dual system) can't booting when Ubuntu Linux boot enter / (Win7 getting to the GRUB menu or after Also and this may be irrelevant I've checked my registry to determine what kind of BIOS I have HKEY LOCAL MACHINE HARDWARE DESCRIPTION System where I found that the SystemBiosVersion variable Sony - BIOS Date Ver I would have can't enter BIOS when booting (Win7 / Ubuntu Linux dual boot system) thought the BIOS would be something like American Megatrends Anyways is there any way I can get into can't enter BIOS when booting (Win7 / Ubuntu Linux dual boot system) the BIOS from Windows i e after Windows has loaded Do I have to remove Linux from my computer I hope not Thanks so much for your help and have a great day

A:can't enter BIOS when booting (Win7 / Ubuntu Linux dual boot system)

Best to keep in mind that the BIOS is completely different from ANY operating system. There is no connection between the two things, other than the BIOS handing off control to an OS.

You press DEL (or whatever key enters the BIOS) before any operating system begins to start up.
You can start pressing the key repeatedly (once a second) just as soon as you hear the POST beep or see anything happen on the display screen.
Once you reach the Grub loader it is too late. Start over.

You can't get into the BIOS from an operating system. You can only shut down and/or restart.
Nothing in the operating system's registry has anything to do with your system's BIOS, other than communicating with it initially.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/351475-cant-enter-bios-when-booting-win7-ubuntu-linux-dual-boot-system.html
Relevancy 97.61%

Hello friends,

I would like to install Linux Ubuntu on my laptop alongside Windows using dual boot.
However, people keep telling me that it is not a good idea this to be done on a laptop because of driver comparability and stuff like that.

So is it OK if dual boot Ubuntu and Windows on a laptop or it is a terrible idea?

Best Regards
Stefany

A:Dual boot Windows and Linux Ubuntu

I'm against multi-booting of any kind. I believe in keeping it simple, so if you want to play around with Ubuntu, especially if you are worried about compatibility, virtualize it. It's 100% compatible with VirtualBox.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/259979-dual-boot-windows-linux-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 96.32%

Hi ,       I just bought a new ideapad 500 am trying to install ubuntu 16.04 Lts alongside preloaded windows 10. I have  tried various options like disabling secure boot / fast boot / fast start up the USB boot just doesn't seem to work , when I try to boot through UEFI firm ware settings -> efi USB boot I get an error message ' USB boot option Not available' . Please suggest if I can achieve Dual boot ability on my ideapad

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-IdeaPad-100-305-500-Edge/Dual-boot-windows-10-with-ubuntu-Linux-on-ideapad-500/td-p/3445982
Relevancy 95.46%

I m posting this topic as a reply to an untrue information which I found in a topic in this forum and is misguiding The topic was about how to Want dual (Ubuntu here. Wubi) XP? Read with remove to Linux boot from remove any linux dustributions from the boot selecting screen and make XP to start automatic That Want to remove Linux from dual boot with XP? Read here. (Ubuntu Wubi) topic said that you must put your XP CD go to the repair screen and enter the command fixmbr This is a lie - this command doesn t work and more - XP doesn t recognize it as its own So I decided to post this topic because I saw in google how many people have such a problem and they can t fix it Hopefully mine topic will help somebody else too I had ubuntu on my pc but when I found out what a piece of crap it is I decided to uninstall it But the name quot Want to remove Linux from dual boot with XP? Read here. (Ubuntu Wubi) ubuntu quot in the bios boot screen remained And I did a very simple task to remove it from there - edited the boot ini file while Windows was running Right click on quot My Computer quot icon then select quot Properties quot Under the quot Advanced quot tab click quot Settings quot in the quot Startup and Recovery quot sector Click edit and the boot ini file will open in notepad you better make a backup of it before editing Find the line of Ubuntu or the operating system you d like to remove from the boot screen delete the line which contains its data in my file the line contained quot C wubildr ldr quot or something like that don t remember the exact text and save the file you can do this by simply pressing Ctrl S Then reboot Windows If you ve done exactly as I said you shouldn t have any problems and your XP should start by itself no boot selection screen If you want to remove all other OS from boot screen and leave only XP this is how should look like your boot ini file boot loader timeout default multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS operating systems multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot Microsoft Windows XP Professional quot fastdetect My XP is PRO version so boot ini looks like the same way If you have Home Edition it will be Home Edition s name in the text Note that this operation must be done when you ve already uninstalled ubuntu or other OS by formatting their partitions nbsp

A:Want to remove Linux from dual boot with XP? Read here. (Ubuntu Wubi)

My XP is PRO version,Click to expand...

And this would be the pirated OS you bragged about?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/want-to-remove-linux-from-dual-boot-with-xp-read-here-ubuntu-wubi.135487/
Relevancy 94.17%

If I have Vista x64 and Ubuntu x64 on the same hdd (different partitions) will Vista complete system backup also backup the ubuntu partition to an external usb hdd?.In other words is the Ubuntu also recoverable via the image created by vista?.

A:Dual Boot Vista Ultimate x64/Linux Ubuntu x64.Backup Image

Hello Mika,

Sorry, but the backup image that Vista creates is only of the Vista partition or drive. Ubuntu will not be backed up by Vista.

You should be able to use the free program Macrium Reflect to create a back up image of both partitions though.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/208445-dual-boot-vista-ultimate-x64-linux-ubuntu-x64-backup-image.html
Relevancy 94.17%

Hello I own an HP Envy notebook K -NL and have considerable difficulty installing Linux Ubuntu and Linux Mint in dual-boot and triple-boot Both with Secure Boot enabled or disabled either enabled or disabled legacy both with fast boot enabled or disabled and also with the default boot from internal CD DVD ROM it is Boot K112-NL Envy 15 Dual Windows HP 8.1/Linux Ubuntu-Mint impossible to install Linux alongside Windows I managed for a moment to start the Linux Mint DVD but it is planted to the first screen Dual Boot Windows 8.1/Linux Ubuntu-Mint HP Envy 15 K112-NL I think just by reading other forums that HP does everything to not allow this operation Dual Boot Windows 8.1/Linux Ubuntu-Mint HP Envy 15 K112-NL Has anyone had the same problem If yes how he solved it Thank you Google Translation nbsp Original post Italian Buongiorno posseggo un notebook HP Envy K -NL e ho notevoli difficolt ad installare Linux Ubuntu e Linux Mint in dual-boot e triple-boot Sia con Secure boot abilitato o disabilitato sia con legacy abilitato o disabilitato sia con fast boot abilitato o disabilitato e inoltre con l'avvio predefinito da internal CD DVD ROM impossibile installare Linux accanto a Windows Sono riuscito un attimo a far partire il DVD di Linux Mint ma si piantato alla prima schermata Penso proprio leggendo altri forum che HP faccia di tutto per non permettere questa operazione Qualcuno ha avuto il mio stesso problema Se s come lo ha risolto Grazie

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Dual-Boot-Windows-8-1-Linux-Ubuntu-Mint-HP-Envy-15-K112-NL/td-p/5769022
Relevancy 92.88%

I Have Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and just installed linux ubuntu 9.10 as a dual boot option. After playing around with it I realized I don't want it as a full os yet. Video problems, sound issues, flash player issues. How would I remove it from a dual boot option and set the space back to windows?

A:Removing Ubuntu 9.10 from Dual Boot

One way is to right click on my computer, click on the manage option. There you can delete the section of hard drive that was allocated to the Ubuntu installation and then expand the Windows 7 drive to take up the empty space left behind.

Also you can remove it from your boot options by following this simple tutorial.

BCDEDIT - How to Use

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/38738-removing-ubuntu-9-10-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 92.02%

I have a Lenovo V laptop which had a working XP-SP system with hard disk partitioned for data and OS and Lenovo s infuriating hidden partition for recovery I decided to install Ubuntu dual boot - all went well - GRUB took over booting Today I tried to remove the dual boot and revert to XP-only I followed instructions found elsewhere that told me use compmgmt msc to remove the Ubuntu-XP Disaster Boot Removing Dual partitions then Removing Dual Boot Ubuntu-XP Disaster use my install-CD to go into repair mode and run a program to fix the mbr - I used the disk utility to remove the two ubuntu partitions - I booted using the XP CD What went wrong - When I tried to enter the repair mode it repeatedly told me it couldn t find a hard disk Removing Dual Boot Ubuntu-XP Disaster and gave me only the option to reboot - which didn t help - Now when I boot without the CD in place I get an error message from GRUB - error - and am totally stuck I tried using the XP CD again and am still told that there aren t any HD s available What should I do to get back my working XP nbsp

Relevancy 92.02%

Okay so I ve spent the last couple hours researching how to remove my ubuntu partition from a multi-OS boot with Windows and Vista still boot with Windows dual 7 Ubuntu in removing not convinced of an exact method or strategy I need the space but am more afraid of losing all my data and having to reformat and reinstall Windows Yes my data is backed up but it s just the hassle of having to reinstall apps and shortcuts and every single little thing I ve tweaked especially the registry in the past year Does anyone know of a full proof method to uninstall and remove this ubuntu linux removing Ubuntu in dual boot with Windows 7 partition Does the fact the i installed Windows after Ubuntu laptop came with Vista then installed Ubuntu to dual boot then recently got change anything or the fact that Windows is listed as my default OS Until i know for sure i guess I m just gonna have to leave it there any help would be greatly appreciated I knew that grub was gonna come back and kick me in the ass Vista Home Premium Ubuntu Windows Professional Thanks

A:removing Ubuntu in dual boot with Windows 7

So you have a triple-boot? Vista, Ubuntu, and 7?Do this for me while inside Windows 7:in the Start Menu search, type this and hit Enter:msconfigOnce on the "Boot" tab, take a screenshot and post it here.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/300653/removing-ubuntu-in-dual-boot-with-windows-7/
Relevancy 91.16%

Hey...

I have Windows vista and currently dual boot ubuntu linux

I was thinking about removing linux as my dad is not happy with it dual booting because he is not familiar with it

I was wondering if factory restore would remove everything to do with linux. or would it still be there but with no documents or anything...

I have a few quick questions to add to this topic being:

1) Would linux be permanently removed if i tried factory restore
and
2) Would the partitions be eliminated leaving only one full partition

replies would be greatly appreciated

thank you!

Relevancy 85.57%

Okay R. record, to and HDD master dual-booted Console unable find boot linux Removing First I ll describe what I intended to do followed by me explaining my problems and ended with my actual question Intentions Fixing my Master boot record file with a FIXMBR and removing my Ubuntu installation due to lack of usage amongst things Merging the old Linux partitions space with one of my current NTFS partitions for the Removing dual-booted linux and master boot record, R. Console unable to find HDD extra space all above-mentioned partitions are on the same HDD for the record Would ve done this with Partition Magic Problems Inserted my Windows XP Home Edition into my computer and rebooted Let it boot up and pressed R to go to the recovery console This is where it all went wrong unfortunately insert reference to Murphy laws here Instead of going to the recovery console to let me fixMBR it reported that it couldn t find a HDD connected and to press F to reboot Naturally I got worried since I hadn t gotten around to doing backups of everything I wanted to keep Even then over two years without reformatting kind of makes you fear the reformats in question and makes you want to avoid it as long as possible Enough about my dislike for reformats In case it wasn t clear enough here is are my question s How do I fix my quot Recovery Console quot As in what is wrong with it Why is it unable to find a HDD present Alternatively Is there any way to fix my Master Boot Record without having to use the Recovery Console a live cd or the ultimate boot cd or any option that needs me to burn a cd really As I don t have that option avaible at the moment And just for the record Yes I managed to boot up into Windows again even after the Recovery Console said it couldn t find a HDD present I am currently using GRUB for booting I m single and loo- Anyway Would love to hear from you soon Hopefully with an answer that ll help me fix this without having to reformat Thanks nbsp

A:Removing dual-booted linux and master boot record, R. Console unable to find HDD

bumpity~

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/removing-dual-booted-linux-and-master-boot-record-r-console-unable-to-find-hdd.677521/
Relevancy 84.71%

When I bought my cpu it came with a dual OS ubuntu and xp pro. my total hard drive is 80Gigs, and I can't make ubuntu work. I do not want to reformat the cpu since I have 11Gigs of music plus a game or 2 that I can't find again if I do that, Plus I don't have an xp disk to work with. So how to I get rid of linux ubuntu? Please, I'm not a tech etc., so be as straight forward with any help you may be able to provide. Thank you.

A:What do I do to remove Ubuntu from a dual boot system and keep only XP

You need to remove the Ubuntu partitions, and then rebuild the MBR boot loader for Windows XP, which you can't do (at least as far as I am aware) without the XP install media.

Where is your music, in Ubuntu, or Windows?
When you say Ubuntu isn't working, what is the problem with it?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/what-do-i-do-to-remove-ubuntu-from-a-dual-boot-system-and-keep-only-xp.157969/
Relevancy 83.85%

Is it possible to make my system into a dual booting XP home/ Linux system I have 30 gigs free, 512RAM.

I don't know much about Linux but would like to learn and I'm just seeing if one can even set up a dual boot system.
Thanks in advance!

Relevancy 83.42%

I have a dual boot system (2 hard drives) booting Suse and XP and boot up through Suse's built in boot manager which gives me the option of booting to Windows or Linux.

But since I barely ever use Linux I want to delete it off the 2nd drive so I can use it for a storage drive, so I'm wondering how to replace the Windows Master Boot Record so I can just boot into my XP drive. I'm scared that once I delete/reformat the contents of the 2nd hard drive (I'll probably use Partition Magic to do this through my XP drive) that I won't be able to boot XP up anymore. So before I do anything I want to just be able to boot into XP and bypass the linux drive before I delete it to make sure everything is ok.

Can anyone help me out with this?

Thanks.

A:Want to replace Master Boot Record on dual boot system & delete Linux drive

Yeah, if you toast linux then it won't boot up. I had that problem when I used Fedora and got rid of it. Boot from your XP disk and go to the repair console. You can use commands in there to make a new mbr. I can remember the exact command. I think you can type help and that will give you a list of available commands. I think it is "fixboot" or "fixmbr" but I can't remember the exact command.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/want-to-replace-master-boot-record-on-dual-boot-system-delete-linux-drive.448404/
Relevancy 82.99%

Hi, I currently have Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) and Ubuntu dual booted on my Dell XPS M1530. Everytime I run it, it locks up at about the half way point then it freezes. Then I have to hard shutdown the system. It does this everytime, do I need to uninstall Ubuntu? Can anybody help me out with this? Thanks

A:Creating System Image with Windows 7/Ubuntu dual boot

Welcome!

It doesn't sound like Ubuntu is causing the problem, as long as you're booted into Windows okay.

Try saving the backup in a different location. You may also test the drive you are saving to: Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/76535-creating-system-image-windows-7-ubuntu-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 82.99%

Alright, so I had setup a dual boot system, Windows XP on the first partition and SuSE9.1 on the rest of the HD. I don't want Linux anymore, so how do I get linux off my system, and the HD space back without having to completely re-install? I'm thinking of just formatting the part of the HD it's on, and then if it gives me trouble when I boot afterwards, I'll just run fixboot from the XP CD. But is there a better way?

Grub is my bootloader, so will that pose a problem?

Relevancy 82.56%

Hi!

Recently I installed Vista and Ubuntu 8.10 on a 320 gb hdd, following a guide found at http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vista_with_linux_vista_installed_first.htm?page=1.

First I installed Vista, leaving 20 gb unassigned space at the end of the hdd. Then I installed Ubuntu 8.10 from the live-cd to the unassigned space.

I wanted Vista to load as default, so I followed step 4 from the guide, and now I have two boot-options (Vista and NeoGrub Bootloader), but when I choose the NeoGrub Bootloader I get an error msg saying that Vista can't load.

Does anyone know how to set up the boot options? I want the ability to choose between Vista and Ubuntu, and Vista to load as default after about 5 seconds.

Thanks

A:Dual boot system will not boot Ubuntu

There's actually an easy workaround for this if you're willing to let Grub be the default boot loader, that is, when your computer turns on, it goes straight into Grub and about four or so items are on the menu, including about three for Ubuntu and one for Windows. The idea is that after a period of so many seconds, it automatically goes into Windows. I found this at the How-To Geek site.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/ubuntu/set-windows-as-default-os-when-dual-booting-ubuntu/

When you install a dual-boot of Ubuntu, one of the frustrating things that you'll immediately notice is that Ubuntu is now set as the default operating system in the Grub loader. There's an easy way to switch back to using Windows as the default.

To make this change, you'll first have to boot into Ubuntu, and then run the following command:

sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

Find this section of the file:

## default num
# Set the default entry to the entry number NUM. Numbering starts from 0, and
# the entry number 0 is the default if the command is not used.
#
# You can specify 'saved' instead of a number. In this case, the default entry
# is the entry saved with the command 'savedefault'.
# WARNING: If you are using dmraid do not change this entry to 'saved' or your
# array will desync and will not let you boot your system.
default 0

The important line is the last one. You will need to change that number 0 to match the Windows boot section. Typically it's always going to be 4 on a default dual-boot configuration. Change this value to 4, and then save and reboot your machine. You should go into Windows instead of Ubuntu automatically.

Note: The blocks at the bottom of the file match the items in the menu. You can change this value to match whichever item you want as default, just remember that numbering starts at 0.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-boot-system-will-not-boot-ubuntu.118588/
Relevancy 82.56%

Hello!
I've got Windows 7 installed and would like to set up a dual boot system with an Ubuntu 9.04. However, I would like to use the Windows 7 boot loader instead of GRUB. How can I do that? Thanks in advance.

A:Linux Dual Boot System Using the Windows 7 Boot MGR

See if this thread from today helps: Where to install ubuntu in my system?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/84739-linux-dual-boot-system-using-windows-7-boot-mgr.html
Relevancy 81.27%

I had Fadora Core (I think it was that one) installed on my computer alongside Windows XP, but I recently reinstalled XP and now I can't access Linux because my multi boot menu is gone. How can I fix this? I know that Linux is still installed because Partition Magic shows me all the partitions. Please Help

-Daniel

A:System was set up for dual boot but I reistalled Windows and can't access linux now

When you install Windows, it overwrites your master boot record, whether you want it to or not. Unfortunately, this is where the boot menu is located in which you select which operating system you would like to boot.

In order to get it back, boot up with you Fedora CD in the drive. I'm not too familiar with the Fedora install process, but if it's like most other distributions I've used, you should be able to skip past most of the install process to the point where it installs the boot loader (I believe the default for Fedora is Grub, although it is possible that you chose to use LILO when you initially installed it.. If you used to get a full screen, probably graphical, menu then it is definately grub).

Alternatively, if you can break out to a command line from the install CD (either by selecting a rescue mode at boot or by pressing CTRL-ALT F1 (or F2, F3, etc) once the installer is loaded, you can manually install grub by doing the following:

Type 'grub' at the command prompt.

At the 'grub>' prompt type 'root (hd0,0)' ***
At the next 'grub>' prompt type 'setup (hd0)'
Finally, type 'quit', and reboot, make sure you take the CD out of the drive.

*** hd0,0 assumes that you are installing onto the master drive on the primary IDE controller.

Hope that helps, good luck!

Ken

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/system-was-set-up-for-dual-boot-but-i-reistalled-windows-and-cant-access-linux-now.401224/
Relevancy 80.41%

I have system with Dual boot (Windows 2000 and Red Hat Linux)
I have "Oracle Application installation dump for Linux" in Windows 2000 system
How to access(Install) this dump booting with Linux o/s

A:How to acess the installation dump in dual boot system by booting as Linux

You can recompile your kernel with NTFS support or install Captive NTFS to gain access to NTFS partitions.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-acess-the-installation-dump-in-dual-boot-system-by-booting-as-linux.18724/
Relevancy 79.98%

Acer Desktop PC Model AM sis ethernet adapter webstar dpx series cable in Ubuntu No Boot 9.10: Vista Ubuntu Connection Dual and Internet modem After setting up a dual Dual Boot Vista and Ubuntu 9.10: No Internet Connection in Ubuntu boot system successfully Vista connects to internet via ethernet Ubuntu does not sis ethernet driver is updated to latest version I can access the internet from Ubuntu however after shutting down the pc unplugging the power cord removing the cmos battery and reinstalling I reinsert the power cord and boot up as normal into Ubuntu and have full access to internet Simply removing reinserting ethernet cord removing reinserting pc or cable modem power cord or resetting cable modem does not work I am asking if there is a solution as to where I can log off Vista and restart pc into Ubuntu and have internet access automatically bypassing Dual Boot Vista and Ubuntu 9.10: No Internet Connection in Ubuntu all these steps I ve explained After perusing multiple forums where people have described similar if not same issues I ve yet to find a solution to this I ran ipconfig in Vista and have the results I ran ifconfig in Ubuntu and have the Dual Boot Vista and Ubuntu 9.10: No Internet Connection in Ubuntu results As these results may contain information that can present a vulnerability regarding system ip identification I have omitted them here If needed I will respond via personal message with the contents Thank you in advance for your continued contributions in aiding the computer world quot handicapped quot nbsp

A:Dual Boot Vista and Ubuntu 9.10: No Internet Connection in Ubuntu

Ubu 9.10 has known issues

If you are using Ubuntu 9.10, it has known issues with the built-in Network Manager and DSL modems (and presumably Cable modems as well)..

Currently, there is no fix (short of going back to 8.10 or hoping it is fixed in Ubu10 due out in April (iirc). Sorry.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-boot-vista-and-ubuntu-9-10-no-internet-connection-in-ubuntu.142344/
Relevancy 79.55%

About a week ago I updated my video card with the Geforce Experience app but something went wrong and Windows went into low res mode plus Aeros stopped working as well and uninstalling the updates didn't help so I had to do a system restore but it didn't restore properly I've attached the error message but I did a little research and it looks like it has something do with (Linux) Grub interfering with the Windows restore process.
And I haven't noticed anything really odd with Windows except when I run CCleaner it says MS search instead of thumbnails. But how do I ensure next time I restore Windows it be interrupted by Grub should I try a third party system restore app maybe Duplicati?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/589075/system-restore-problem-bad-video-driver-update-linux-dual-boot/
Relevancy 78.26%

I have a dual boot environment with two Win XP installed on different disks, XP1 and XP2 . XP1 was installed first and contains the boot files (NTLDR, boot.ini...) and XP2 came second. Now, I would like to keep XP2 and get rid of XP1. How can i delete XP1 since it contains the boot files? if i delete XP1 i am afraid to not be able to boot on XP2..., thanks

Relevancy 78.26%

Built a new system, first loaded W2k. Then I added XPHE to the system. I am able to select either operating system when booting.

My problem is that I would like to remove W2K. W2k is on the primary partition of my SATA drive.

Is there any means of removing W2k and being able boot from XP alone?

A:Removing W2K from dual boot system-help!

How To Remove One Operating System from a Dual Boot Windows XP Computer

http://www.comptechlib.com/3070.html

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/removing-w2k-from-dual-boot-system-help-204117.html
Relevancy 77.4%

Hey all I am new here. I recently did a dual boot install of Ubuntu with my Home Premium Windows 7 machine. I need to figure out how to uninstall Ubuntu and the grub loader... any thoughts?

I installed Windows 7 first... Ubuntu 64 desktop edition came after.

I shrunk my Windows 7 partition to install Ubuntu.

If you need more information, let me know, and thanks in advance.

A:dual boot w/ Ubuntu, need to uninstall Ubuntu

Quote: Originally Posted by Konstantinov

Hey all I am new here. I recently did a dual boot install of Ubuntu with my Home Premium Windows 7 machine. I need to figure out how to uninstall Ubuntu and the grub loader... any thoughts?

I installed Windows 7 first... Ubuntu 64 desktop edition came after.

I shrunk my Windows 7 partition to install Ubuntu.

If you need more information, let me know, and thanks in advance.

Hello Konstantinov, and welcome to Windows Seven Forums!

Baisically, you just need to delete the two Ubuntu partitions, then restore the bootmgr from Windows 7. Please look these over and post back any questions?

MBR - Restore Windows 7 Master Boot Record

Remove Grub - Restore Windows 7

Cheers!
Robert

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/64180-dual-boot-w-ubuntu-need-uninstall-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 77.4%

I've seen a lot of the threads that tell how to dual boot XP and Vista and even the other one today that tells how to get rid of the XP Partition.

But how does one get rid of the Vista Partition without hosing one's system?
Thanks
David

A:removing Vista from a Dual Boot System

Getting rid of Vista is pretty easy as the system always boots from the XP drive initially - just format the partition. You'll then need to either FIXMBR or something to get rid of the boot menu from the XP drive (the details of which I honestly can't remember, though I'm sure someone here will enlighten!)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/removing-vista-from-a-dual-boot-system.563351/
Relevancy 77.4%

Goal Dual boot Windows and Linux and have an NTFS partition for both OS Boot Windows problem tools Linux: with 7 disk Linux Dual Partitioning Problem When creating Logical Partitions with any Linux partition tool Dual Boot Windows 7 Linux: Partitioning with Linux disk tools problem Gparted cfdisk the Linux swap and ext partitions shows Dual Boot Windows 7 Linux: Partitioning with Linux disk tools problem up on Windows as primary partitions outside of the Extended partition while the NTFS partition Dual Boot Windows 7 Linux: Partitioning with Linux disk tools problem shows up inside the Extended partition as logical drive Disk management shows primary partitions and logical drive inside an extended partition As seen in Disk jpg attachment I'm using MBR not UEFI I can create the partitions in Windows disk management and choose not to format the two logical partitions used for Linux I can then use the mkswap and mkfs ext command to format the partitions See Disk jpg attachment Questions Why is Windows disk management not showing my partitions correctly when I use a Linux tool to partition the disk Will this cause any problems with Windows I'm afraid of making Windows unbootable although it booted just fine I do plan on using EasyBCD to add an entry to load the grub bootloader for Linux If I partition my disk with Windows disk management as seen in Disk jpg will that cause any problems for Linux What is the recommended way to handle this What are the downsides to each way Note I'm a bit of a linux noob

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/383556-dual-boot-windows-7-linux-partitioning-linux-disk-tools-problem.html
Relevancy 76.54%

Win Win XP Ubuntu Linux Tri-boot I have a PC that is currently a dual boot between Windows Ultimate and Ubuntu Linux Hardy Heron The two operating systems are on separate physical drives Ubunutu is on the PC s original gig drive the primary and Win is on a TB Seagate internal drive that I added later the slave I already discussed dual booting with Ubuntu and Win on a Linux forum I installed each OS completely independently of the other I installed Ubuntu first without the other drive installed I later disconnected the GB primary drive and installed Windows to the TB drive as if Ubuntu were not even present on the PC Later I reconnected and edited a file known as menu lst in Ubuntu s feature known as Grub Grub looks at the file and gives me the choice of Windows or Ubuntu when I boot up Now it s a long story but I need to add Windows XP to Linux XP/Ubuntu Tri-boot Win 7/Win my choices I m told on the Ubuntu forum that I can temporarily Win 7/Win XP/Ubuntu Linux Tri-boot disconnect the Ubuntu drive and set up XP on the TB drive as a dual boot with Bootloader handling the choice between Win and XP The idea is to get it running right and later reconnect the Ubuntu drive Grub will give me the choice between Ubuntu and Windows then if I choose Windows Bootloader will give me the choice between Win and XP I could live with that So the Ubuntu drive is disconnected We don t have to worry about that in this thread If I have any trouble with Grub I ll address it on the Linux board I ve found Sevenforums guide to setting up a Win Win XP dual boot Dual Boot Installation with Windows and XP I notice in the instructions it says you need to load SATA drivers during the XP install if you have a SATA drive because otherwise the XP install program will not find the drive you want to install XP on if is already installed However I began XP s install program and it appears to be finding my drives just fine I ve partitioned gig for XP with a utility known as EaseUS Partitioner and labeled it Drive X in Win The Win XP installer found it just fine as it did my C drive Here s what I m seeing It s the drive that the XP installer has labeled G Partition Win XP is the label I gave it in the partition utility You ll see directly above it Partition that is installed on the one I want to keep on I can also see that the XP installer has found my thumb drives Drive I Partition Toshiba is one If need be I could use that to store the SATA drivers The instructions talk about storing those drivers on a floppy What s a floppy My PC does not have a floppy drive So what s the verdict Am I okay to proceed with the install of XP without bothering with SATA drivers or do I need to make them accessible on my Toshiba thumb drive My DVD drive is occupied by my XP install disk

A:Win 7/Win XP/Ubuntu Linux Tri-boot

Tom, I think the answer to your question is on the first sentence of the Tutorial how to load the SATA drivers: "When you install Win XP, setup can not find your Hard Drive."

So, if setup can find your HD, you should be good to go.

One remark: installing XP after Windows 7 is a bit more complicated, you will have to repair Windows 7 boot file to add XP. You have mentioned the tutorial, so you shoudl be good to go. I just highlight it since it can be a stumbling block.

Regarding the floppy disk thing, from what I know it is XP's idiosyncrasy, it doesn't allow drivers to be loaded with USB drives. It is from a time there were no USB drives...

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/91800-win-7-win-xp-ubuntu-linux-tri-boot.html
Relevancy 76.54%

I have a Windows XP Vista dual boot machine I have hard drives one contains the Windows XP operating system SATA the other Vista SATA I have decided to remove Windows XP For the moment I have just unplugged the XP drive that is on SATA and turned the SATA drive a Boot Windows Dual System Vista Removing XP from off in the bios Everything appears to boot fine although on initial boot up it takes about - seconds until the Vista boot screens appears almost as if the computer is searching for something I plan to format the XP drive and use it to store data My question is is this an appropriate way to remove XP from a dual boot configuration I am concerned that I Removing Windows XP from a Vista Dual Boot System need to make changes to the Vista configuration but I am not sure One last note in my system I believe I installed Removing Windows XP from a Vista Dual Boot System XP first then install added Vista to create a multiboot system I would appreciate any insight that you may have

A:Removing Windows XP from a Vista Dual Boot System

the bootloader you are using is probably that of vista.. try booting with the vista dvd.. then go to command prompt.. type Bootrec.exe /FixMbr to fix vista's bootloader and try booting again..

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/removing-windows-xp-from-a-vista-dual-boot-system-211398.html
Relevancy 75.68%

I have two partitions on my HDD. A 'suspect' Windows 7 Home (that originally came with my 'refurbished' second hand laptop) is installed in the only Primary partition. A legitimate copy of Windows 7 Professional is (now) installed in an Extended Logical partition. My laptop boots up in Windows 7 Professional, if no other selection is made. I now wish to remove the suspect installation, and revert to having just one partition containing my Windows 7 Professional, without formatting the whole HDD and reinstallng/restoring everything currently on the second, logical partition. Is this possible, and if so, how?

A:Removing Windows 7 from the Primary partition of a Dual Boot system.

What kind of BIOS you have? UEFI or Legacy (MBR)?
Can you give us a snapshot of disk manager?
Do you have a external HDD to make a backup image of your Win 7 pro partition?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/399417-removing-windows-7-primary-partition-dual-boot-system.html
Relevancy 75.68%

I have two partitions on my HDD. A 'suspect' Windows 7 Home (that originally came with my 'refurbished' second hand laptop) is installed in the only Primary partition. A legitimate copy of Windows 7 Professional is (now) installed in an Extended Logical partition. My laptop boots up in Windows 7 Professional, if no other selection is made. I now wish to remove the suspect installation, and revert to having just one partition containing my Windows 7 Professional, without formatting the whole HDD and reinstallng/restoring everything currently on the second, logical partition. Is this possible, and if so, how?

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/399417-removing-windows-7-primary-partition-dual-boot-system.html
Relevancy 75.25%

I'm going to be completely wipe my laptop harddrive and reinstall windows. My harddrive has two partitions right now, a windows partition and an Ubuntu partition. I want to:

1. Format Ubuntu Partition
2. Format windows partition
2. reinstall windows

Is there anything I have to be aware of in regards to the dual boot? If I simply go into my computer and format the Ubuntu partition from there, will I then be able to boot my machine like normal and have it go straight to windows? Because when I initially start up the machine, it gives me a choice to pick Windows or Ubuntu in DOS. So I am wondering there is anything else I need to get rid of before I proceed. If you need any more information just let me know!

Thanks!

A:Need advice for wiping entire system dual that dual boots ubuntu.

To clean install:
1) Clean the HD Drive, using Step one in this tutorial:
SSD / HDD : Optimize for Windows Reinstallation
than
2a) clean install with the OEM manufacturer's Recovery Disk.
2b) Clean Install Windows 7
2c) UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) - Install Windows 7 with

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/304153-need-advice-wiping-entire-system-dual-dual-boots-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 74.39%

My original topic here http ubuntuforums org showthread php t I believe this belongs in the XP forum as it is an XP startup related issue If not move it to Linux please IMPORTANT QUESTION Will I be able to use an XP home CD to recover XP Media Centre span ------------ URGENT - ALL HELP GIVEN IS APPRECIATEDHey I ve just installed Ubuntu desktop edition on a desktop computer The installation was a success and Ubuntu can now be used as a fully working operating system BUT when I try to load installation linux after boot Windows failure XP Ubuntu Windows XP Media centre edition from the GRUB option I m choosing the right option it goes to the loading screen but then says something along the lines of quot autochk not found - Windows XP boot failure after Ubuntu linux installation SKIPPING AUTOCHECK quot followed by a Blue Screen of Death STOP c a Fatal System Error xC a the system has been shut down The system is manufactured by Packard Bell it s a good few years old I would love to go in depth with its specs but I m not sure how on Ubuntu It has mb RAM a nVidia graphics card and an Intel Pentium I highly doubt that means quad core processor from what I can find To modify the partitions I used the ubuntu installer Thanks so much in advance Just to go over again in short Ubuntu works XP doesn t Oh and half of the XP documents and settings files seem to have vanished AndyP S I believe the version of Ubuntu I have installed and working uses GNOME I ve tried using gedit to change a file in the grub folder to add a line unhide hd just above the root line -Didn t solve the problem I think it s to do with windows itself Thanks DI thought the great community here could help me possibly more than ubuntu forums

A:Windows XP boot failure after Ubuntu linux installation

No.

Media Center (MCE) is a variation of XP Pro.

I'm not even sure that you could use an XP Pro version to "recover" an XP MCE system, since I thought that all those systems utilize recovery partitions/CDs which have been prepared by the manufacturer of the system.

These recovery/restore CDs/partitions...are not the same as an XP install CD, since they contain programs, drivers, and other modifications which might have been put in by the manufacturer.

I could be wrong.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/258682/windows-xp-boot-failure-after-ubuntu-linux-installation/
Relevancy 73.53%

Help please

new blueray player now vista wont boot, but ubuntu linux does

this is a dual boot system

its a sata drive from pioneer

old optical ide drive broke so bought a new sata drive

i have a sata harddrive in number 1 sata connector and now a sata pioneer bdr-208 in sata connector 2

this motherboard  is old,  so no help from manufacturer
and pioneer is closed for the weekend

A:new blueray player now vista wont boot, but ubuntu linux does

nevermind
i pulled power to sata bluray player booted to windows
shutdown computer
cleaned computer {air}
hooked power back to bluray player
and now it works
i think vista had to boot to a no dvd
to make it see a bluray player

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/510575/new-blueray-player-now-vista-wont-boot-but-ubuntu-linux-does/
Relevancy 73.53%

Hi All,

I am thinking about formatting my hard disk and restarting everything from scratch. I would like some advice please!

I have a 320G hard drive. (In practice this is about 300G)

I am thinking about partitioning it like this

6G - Pagefile
4G - Swapfile
10G - Windows XP Home (NTFS)
10G - Ubuntu (EXT 3)
10G - Windows Programs (NTFS)
10G - Ubuntu Programs (EXT 3)
50G X 4 - Data (FAT 32)

Please would people tell me what they think of my idea and any thoughts they have about it!

Will

PS - please tell me if I am right in thinking I can have the program folders for each OS in a separate partition to the OS' themselves.

A:Creating duel boot WinXP / Linux (Ubuntu) from scratch?

Have a look here: http://librenix.com/?inode=7876

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/creating-duel-boot-winxp-linux-ubuntu-from-scratch.74612/
Relevancy 73.53%

I burned the Damn Small Linux (DSL) ISO to a CD, placed it in the drive, restarted the machine and told it to boot from CD in the boot menu. This method worked for Ubuntu, but not for DSL.

I get a blank text screen for a few seconds, then the "Windows XP did not start correctly" menu.

When I tried Ubuntu (and KUbuntu, for that matter) I just put in the disk and restarted the computer. I didn't even have to use the boot menu.

The only difference is that I burned the DSL CD on a different computer because my burner stopped working.

There are hundreds of files on the download mirrors, but I'm all but certain I've got the right one. It's called "dsl-3.4.2.iso".

I have an HP Compaq BIOS, that's all Everest will tell me.
My motherboard is an HP d530 CMT (DG769A).

A:Damn Small Linux CD-ROM boot failes, Ubuntu worked.

The current versrion of DSL is 4.0.

Are you sure you burned the iso image as a CD image and not a file?
It could be something as simple as a bad burn too. Just try again?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/damn-small-linux-cd-rom-boot-failes-ubuntu-worked.92593/
Relevancy 73.1%

hello i have some questions regarding dual booting windows home premium x with linux fedora on dual independantly dedicated drives i am a college student with moderate computer windows knowledge but am doing software development and would like to play around with some linux for a class i have no prior experience with linux and have minimal knowledge of operation i am currently running windows and would like to keep it as my primary os i do not wish to share media files across with and dual 7 drives linux windows boot fedora dual drives or os's windows does that just fine as is and i dont want to get into a third drive my windows 7 and linux fedora dual boot with dual drives current drive is a tb wd black caviar hdd it is also currently rds full and the desktop is windows 7 and linux fedora dual boot with dual drives about months old so i would rather not partition the drive for a dual boot i would think that there are some other advantages for the os's operating independantly off their own drives other than if one hdd dies i should windows 7 and linux fedora dual boot with dual drives still have the other with its os still ok i have read some topics about RAID configs with dual boot setups with dual drives like this but am not very familiar with RAID is there a RAID config that would be beneficial in this situation i currently do not have a RAID card my tower internals are not very accessible and i dont like the idea of disconnecting drives depending on which os i want to operate so what would be the best way of going about this this is a near future project so i am looking for someone with some experience in this area hopefully thanks - garrett

A:windows 7 and linux fedora dual boot with dual drives

Hi garrettchatt and welcome to Windows 7 Forums

Are you trying to ask something? There's nothing there.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/142453-windows-7-linux-fedora-dual-boot-dual-drives.html
Relevancy 72.67%

hi,
I have windows media edition. i installed ubuntu yesterday after that i tried to switch windows but windows went in hibernated mode soon after window logo and then sytem restarts.after few try i press f8 for advance option before hibernating. there i made silly mistake without knowing about option i select something like "delete distoring data and start system boot".(sorry i dun remember exect option). but soon after that i am getting
STOP:c000021A {Fatal System

Error} The Session Manager Initialization System terminated unexpectedly with
a status of 0xc000003a (0x00000000 0x00000000) The system has been shut down.

Please help

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-fatal-system-error-after-installing-ubuntu-from-linux-support-340078.html
Relevancy 70.95%

Hi a couple of months ago my system crashed windows wouldnt boot and I boot, help 7 wont Win disk doesnt boot, startup Ubuntu , windows dual misplaced my installation disk I had Win 7 , Ubuntu dual boot, windows wont boot, startup disk doesnt help the problems several times since obtaining the computer several years ago Lenovo IDeaPad y I attributed the problem to what I believed was a bad hard disk so I replaced it with a refurbished model I installed Ubungu and it worked well ever since I later located my win disk and created a dual boot Windows worked very well for several months until it stopped starting up last week It would get to the black windows screen where it says starting and usually get stuck there I would get fed up and turn it off after half an hour Once it was as the screen and it later started the checkdisk program and found no errors Another time it finally got into windows after a very long loading time and it seemed to work fine until the next time I restarted windows It just went back to the loading windows screen I formatted the windows partition through GParted in Ubuntu and tried the installation disk and it would get stuck at in the quot expanding files quot sequence After an hour of hoping something would happen I got fed up and forced it off again Not sure what to do from this point I have read other posts and it has led me to think that the issue could possibly be bad RAM or an issue with BIOS But Ubuntu has been working fine while Windows has simply been freezing at any attempt of a startup

A:Win 7 , Ubuntu dual boot, windows wont boot, startup disk doesnt help

It could be that the HDD has a bad sector in the Windows partition, or that the drive is actually failing. If there is a utility in Linux that tests memory, I would run it.

You could also use Memtest86+. It runs from a CD/DVD. Let it run for several passes to rule out bad RAM.

Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/342483-win-7-ubuntu-dual-boot-windows-wont-boot-startup-disk-doesnt-help.html
Relevancy 70.95%

I wanted to set up Ubuntu on my computer and followed the instructions in the first answer to this thread dual boot - How to install Ubuntu alongside Windows - Ask Ubuntu As instructed I created a logical partition using EaseUS software I did this on my H drive a hard disk drive whereas Windows was installed on C and SSD After a mandatory reboot for the new partition changes I did not immediately go to install Ubuntu although I had Live USB to do so - Ubuntu to Dual Wanted Won't Boot Boot and Win7 Anymore Windows Instead if I remember properly I booted into Windows to make sure everything was Wanted to Dual Boot Win7 and Ubuntu - Windows Won't Boot Anymore OK but only to find out that some quot Windows could not boot properly quot giving me the option to 'Launch Startup Repair' - which I did but to no avail All it did was reported that some system files were missing or corrupt I then installed Ubuntu on a third drive because I still needed it to perform some benchmarking I did this using the 'install alongside windows ' option But now that I don't need Ubuntu anymore all I am interested in is getting back to Windows while keeping all the files and programs intact How should I go about fixing this Delete the logical partition on the other drive I also have that Windows installation CD and I'm thinking its repair options could be useful - but not having a whole lot of self-confidence I don't know what steps exactly to take to preserve my files Any help is greatly appreciated Edit I booted from the Windows installation disk just to see the options available and when selecting the 'Repair Windows' option I got a message saying quot this version of system recovery options is not compatible with the version of Windows you are trying to repair Try using a recovery disc that is compatible with this version of Windows quot The CD is definitely matching the version of windows I want to install but a problem might me that my Windows and the CD are the OEM versions which I've read can't be used to perform upgrades

A:Wanted to Dual Boot Win7 and Ubuntu - Windows Won't Boot Anymore

Hi I Am User,

Upon inserting the Windows installation disk you should be able to install a new Windows and be able to select Upgrade and it should create the Windows.old folder on the new Windows.

Cheers
Boris

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/387451-wanted-dual-boot-win7-ubuntu-windows-wont-boot-anymore.html
Relevancy 70.95%

Just curious, but is there option for me to enable uefi boot of my Windows 10 Professional installation on my HP xw6600 dual quad core E5450 machine which holds two Samsung 850 Pro SSD's, one for Windows 10 and the other completely for Ubuntu LTS 16.04.When possible,  how to go about it. How do I enable this option. Yours truly, 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/enabling-secure-uefi-boot-Windows-10-dual-boot-with-ubuntu/td-p/5631758
Relevancy 70.95%

After deleting the partition on which Ubuntu was installed and enlarging the windows partition to fill the old space at the same time( stupid I know), I am unable to boot to Windows 7. All I see is a command line message that says Unknown File System and on the next line says Grub Rescue> with the option to input commands. After looking at this forum and Ubuntu forums I'm still unable to resolve the issue. I would like to be able to boot into windows 7.

A:Unable to boot Windows 7 after unistalling Ubuntu Dual boot

You'll have to restore your Master Boot Record. See this tutorial:

MBR - Restore Windows 7 Master Boot Record

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/132252-unable-boot-windows-7-after-unistalling-ubuntu-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 70.95%

Hi there Recently got a HP Pavilion g sa which came with Windows spit and this disgusting UEFI BIOS replacement double spit Anyway I need to dual boot Ubuntu on my system so I installed Ubuntu Normally on a non UEFI system a Grub bootloader installed by Linux would take Boot 8 Order and Dual Ubuntu on Boot Changing Windows over the startup process and allow you to choose between Changing Boot Order on Dual Boot Windows 8 and Ubuntu either Windows or Ubuntu on startup nbsp However on this computer startup is just booting straight to Windows despite the fact that Ubuntu and Grub IS installed Now upon startup if I press F then I get to change the boot-device on a one-time basis I can either select OS Boot Manager which loads Windows or Ubuntu which loads the Grub bootloader which allows me to select Windows or Ubuntu However when I press F to enter the Bios Setup with the intention of changing the boot order permanently the Ubuntu option isn't there Instead it has OS Manager USB Disk CD Rom USB CD Rom and Network Card Thanks HP for the crappily designed BIOS Anyway can anyone PLEASE provide me a way of changing the boot order so that GRUB is loaded first and NOT this crap Windows rubbish that I would happily bin if I didn't need it for work nbsp

A:Changing Boot Order on Dual Boot Windows 8 and Ubuntu

Looks like HP forums are just as useful as HP customer service and HP computers - i.e., not very useful at all.Problem solved though. Took the piece of crap back for a full refund and won't be buying HP again.Happy days.Bye.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Changing-Boot-Order-on-Dual-Boot-Windows-8-and-Ubuntu/td-p/2503733
Relevancy 70.52%

I have a fresh install of XP and want to Dual boot Ubuntu 7.10 (linux) and XP. I have the Live cd, I have had some experience with this before but always run into problems. I am willing to manual partition on the live cd during install as long as its explained to me how to not screw it up. My main issues before were linux booted fine, but windows just said starting... and nothing ever happened. Assuming I wrote over the MBR and screwed everything up. Need some write ups or something.

-Jc

A:I want to dual boot Ubuntu 7.10 and XP.

Let google be your friend.

Here, i found this (don't know about it myself)

Dual boot XP and Ubuntu 7.10 via boot.ini

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-want-to-dual-boot-ubuntu-7-10-and-xp.100088/
Relevancy 70.52%

Hi,
I have 2 hard drives and want to install Ubuntu on the 2nd HD rather than the one where W7 is. This is mainly because the 1st HD is very full so I don't want to partition it, but my 2nd HD is half-empty.
Will it cause any problems if I install to the 2nd HD? Do I need to do anything to make sure the dual-boot will work?
Any help greatly appreciated.

thanks

A:Dual boot W7 & Ubuntu using 2 HDs

It will be fine.

What is the capacity of the 2nd hard disk, and how much is remaining un-used?

I would recommend you do your partition editing within Windows where your going to be most comfortable.

To do that, click start, and then type in the text box Disk Management and hit enter. It will then open up your physical drives. If your 2nd hard disk is one physical partition, select the partition and then right click the mouse, and select "Shrink Partition" Set the amount to shrink the partition, hit OK, and then leave it to re-size, not using the computer until its done.

Once its resized, select the black unallocated disk space you've just created, and right click and select "New simple partition", fill the boxes in and then click ok and it'll make it. At this point, note down the exact size of the partition (this will be your confirmation in Linux that you have the right disk).

Then reboot and run the installer. I highly recommend the step by step guide in my signature below this post. It will explain in detail all the steps needed, and will also aid you with the advanced partitioner, as this is going to be best to ensure you use the correct physical disk.

Once your in the Linux partitioner you can delete the new simple partition you made, and then use the free space to make your / (root) and SWAP partitions.

Some Important points!

1. Do not assume that the first disk in linux is your first hard disk (e.g. C in Windows.
2. Letters for drive names are not used in Linux. It will be refered to as sd (SATA Disk) a (the first, b is second, c third etc) 1 (partition number) = sda1
3. Linux requires at least a / partition to function. If you plan to keep using it long term I suggest you also alocate a /usr and /home partition, and SWAP space (the size of your RAM min of 2GB is fine - I have 4GB RAM 7,5GB SWAP which really isn't neccessary).
4. Install the bootloader to the hard disk with your Windows 7 on it. (not a partition, but the whole disk. It will do the rest for you.)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-boot-w7-ubuntu-using-2-hds.157528/
Relevancy 70.52%

Hi !
This is the disk management screenshot. In disk 0 Partition C, Win 7 is installed. In Disk 1 partition D, there was Win XP, but I formatted is as primary to install Ubuntu there as dual boot. Practically I know almost nothing about Linux installation. When I am trying to install it, I am not able to find out which one is the D drive.

I tried the Gparted option there, but it seemed to me a puzzle .

Can anybody please help me?

A:Want to dual boot Ubuntu with Win 7

Welcome!

The D partition should be the first partition on the second hard drive. It is also the smaller of the approx 58GB partitions.

The Ubuntu setup should show the different hard drives.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/62390-want-dual-boot-ubuntu-win-7-a.html
Relevancy 70.52%

Good evening all I wasn t quite sure which forum this should go in W7 - Dual Ubuntu Boot & so Dual Boot - W7 & Ubuntu I apologize if this belongs elsewhere I primarily run Windows on my GB HD but had an old GB HD lying around so I decided to try Ubuntu I m very Dual Boot - W7 & Ubuntu new to Linux I know very little about it and I also know very little about dual booting I have W plugged into SATA and Ubuntu plugged into SATA When I turn my computer on it was launching automatically to Ubuntu until I changed the boot priorities in BIOS to launch the W HD When powering the PC on I d like to be prompted to choose which OS to launch How can I go about doing this I consider myself very proficient with Google but I cannot find any helpful information Well maybe I should say I can t find any helpful information that I understand I may have very well likely passed over a topic that is just using words that I don t understand and assumed that it wasn t what I needed I ve checked MSCONFIG but it only shows my primary drive with W which I kind of expected Any other advice

A:Dual Boot - W7 & Ubuntu

You want to be able to choose which OS to boot from Windows 7 boot menu.Adding a boot entry for Ubuntu is simple.1. Download and install 'ext2fs' - this will give you access to Linux partitions (Ubuntu) from Windows.2. Copy the file "/boot/grub/boot.img" from Ubuntu to Windows 7 "\boot" partition.3. Create a boot sector loader. Give it as parameter the file \boot\boot.imgFor 3.) you can use Visual BCD Editor - right click for pop-up menu -> Create boot-sector loader. Adjust drive and path to point to drive and path of "\boot\boot.img" editing ApplicationDevice and ApplicationPath.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/423275/dual-boot-w7-ubuntu/
Relevancy 70.52%

Hi,
I'm having a big problem. I used to have Windows XP installed, and Ubuntu on another partition. Since I installed Windows 7 (Over the Windows XP installation) the GRUB Loader is gone. Now I don't need Ubuntu, and I was wondering if I could delete the Unbuntu Partition using Disk Management in Windows 7 without having problems during booting to Windows.
I know the biggest problem after deleting Ubuntu is the absence of GRUB loader, which then causes Windows 7 not to boot properly. However, since GRUB loader has been overwritten during the Windows 7 installation, is it safe to just delete the Ubuntu Partition and extend the Windows 7 one?

I really want to make sure that after deleting Ubuntu, my PC will boot to Windows 7. I also have lost the Windows 7 repair disk...

Relevancy 70.52%

I have Vista Home Premium -bit on Dell Inspiron I want to have a go at installing a dual-boot Ubuntu Why quot Because it's there quot I've experimented with Wubi which is dual-boot Ubuntu but does not need it's own partition This allows a painless evaluation of Ubuntu Clever idea I would be most grateful if anyone could recommend some do's and don'ts BTW I have complete Genie backups of my system files and data files I intend to follow the instructions at the following two links The Dual-boot Ubuntu definitive dual-booting guide Windows Linux Vista and XP step-by-step Ubuntu Dual-boot Ubuntu Intrepid - My overall impression is that the commonest problem is that users can no longer boot to Vista after installing Ubuntu IMHO users get problems if they do the following Shrink the current Vista partition Create a new partition in the free space to be used eventually for Ubuntu It's step that seems to cause the problem Alternative advice such as in the two links that I quoted above say that you should do nothing with the free space You should allow Ubuntu to do everything itself I would be grateful for any comments

A:Dual-boot Ubuntu

I already tried out SUN's Virtual Box here and no go for simply trying to get older versions of Windows running with that as one item seen in the article there. For seeing the Vista primary reduced in size not more then 15gb to 20gb since ubuntu is small to begin with for a Linux distro the free Gnome Partition Editor generall known as GParted live for cd is the choice tool for both shrinking the Vista primary down and creating the new VFat ext2 or ext 3 primary(root) for ubuntu.

The option for a second extended swap partition is just that an option while not being a necessity due to Linux having it's own form of swap file. The one thing however to watch out for is not seeing the installation of Grub into the Vista mbr to avoid Grub 14 and 22 errors but making the root the "/" mount point.

From there you can add the ubuntu entry into the Vista BCD with the NeoGrub option seen in the free EasyBCD tool available at Download EasyBCD 1.7.2 - NeoSmart Technologies

The instructions plus other references for that are seen at Dashboard - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

When first running the ubuntu installer make sure to select the manual method and select the root partition. Later hightlight that and click the edit button to assign that as the "/"" mount point so you don't see the installer decide to reformat and partition the entire drive for Linux only! You want to see the root set as mount in order to have the NeoGrub pointed to that in order to see ubuntu load as an option when Vista first starts.

http://www.vistax64.com/software/226521-dual-boot-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 70.52%

Not sure if I should of posted this in a different local but I'll give this spot a try. So computer is cleaned, backed up and now I want to remove ubuntu from and the dual boot option, however it seems once again it takes me for a loop. I went into disk managment to check on size on the ubuntu part. Well, its not under disk managment, so I restarted the computer and it wouldn't start ubuntu up, instead it gave me almost a dos/command proumpt screen. So I'm taking a stab in the dark and going to stay that ubuntu most not of been remove correctly. Is there a way to finish removing it? If an image is needed I might be able to take one with my ipod and upload it.

A:Xp dual boot ubuntu

Well from what I can find online I guess its telling me to just go in and edit the boot menu file.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/588176/xp-dual-boot-ubuntu/
Relevancy 70.52%

I am using the non-metro Windows 10 boot loader to manage a dual boot setup (legacy BIOS) with Ubuntu. Generally, everything works fine. However, sometimes when I perform an update in Ubuntu, grub overwrites the Windows MBR. Then I have to use EasyBCD to restore the Windows boot loader.

How do I prevent grub overwriting the MBR?

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/55134-ubuntu-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 70.52%

So I have this lenovo ideacentre B540 All-in-one that originally came with Windows 7. The customer bought it at best buy and it came with a free upgrade to Windows 8 when it came out. So the customer was using it with Windows 8 until he got some FBI porn virus on there. I was hired to reload windows 8 and have it dual boot with ubuntu. I put the windows 8 disc in, format the 1TB drive and leave about 200GB for ubuntu. windows 8 is setup and done.
i can no longer get this thing to do anything other than boot windows 8. cant get into BIOS, cant get a boot menu, can't boot from CD/DVD or USB through the windows 8 restart menu thing. what an abomination. any help?

A:dual boot with ubuntu

Welcome to EightForums.

As you are talking Lenovo.

BIOS setup menu is missing in my G580 after instal... - Lenovo Community

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/15376-dual-boot-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 70.52%

Hey I was able to set up my system with both Windows XP and UBuntu I have partitioned my hard and XP Ubuntu Dual Boot: drive into segments One for windows in ntfs one for ubuntu in ext a swap partition which ubuntu requires and another partition in fat to swap files back Dual Boot: XP and Ubuntu and forth between windows and ubuntu I had the systems working fine and then i screwed it Dual Boot: XP and Ubuntu up When the system would boot it would give me a command prompt asking which system i would like to load I could choose from Ubuntu or windows If i were to choose windows it would go to another prompt asking to use windows or an unrecognized operating system I was trying to get rid of this second step as it seemed useless So when i orignally booted the system the first prompt would ask for both systems there was a line saying you can edit the controls of these boots and so i checked it out to see if i could get rid of the second command prompt screen I ended up deleting one of them stupid me and now i can only start up ubuntu If i try and boot windows xp it says there are missing commands Any ideas how it could be possible to get those things i deleted back without having to reinstall both windows and ubuntu And if you know how to get rid of the second command prompt but thats not neccesary i can deal with that Thanks a lot nbsp

A:Dual Boot: XP and Ubuntu

Hey just to add to the post when i try and boot xp from the command prompt it says NTLDR is missing and then goes back to the orginal boot screen.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-boot-xp-and-ubuntu.94003/
Relevancy 70.09%

Hello I have been struggling with boot issues ever since I decided to install ubuntu LTS along Win bits on myVAIO computer To install it I chose quot Something else quot and resized the partition myself within the Ubuntu Installer At first I got GRUB working and finding Win but I could not start it after this boot-info Ubuntu Pastebin I reinstalled GRUB in sda using the following commands sudo update-grub sudo grub-install dev sda I got 7 BCD issue dual installing Boot Ubuntu Win boot after a seemingly quite common black screen from Windows Boot Manager saying this HTML Code File Boot BCD Status xc f Info An error occured while attempting to read the boot configuration data From this message I found out that I needed to rebuild the BCD and then reinstall GRUB to get a working dual boot I have created a Win bits repair USB and using Win 7 Boot BCD issue after installing Ubuntu dual boot diskpart I know I have primary partitions - MB - It seems Win 7 Boot BCD issue after installing Ubuntu dual boot to me that the boot files are supposed to be there According to DISKPART it s the volume C and labeled quot System Reserved quot - GB - Windows is installed on this partition According to DISKPART there is no Win 7 Boot BCD issue after installing Ubuntu dual boot volume associated with this partition and it is hidden - GB - Ubuntu is installed on this partition - MB is SWAP Auto repair from Win repair usb does not recognize my Windows and does not work Therefore I have to work with the command prompt I have tried most available tutorial on rebuilding BCDs Basically when I run all the tutorials I could find and they involved the following commands bcdboot c windows s c I get quot Failure when attempting to copy boot files quot bootrec rebuildbcd I get quot Successfully scanned Windows installations total identified Windows Installations GLOBALROOT Device HarddiskVolume Windows But when I try to add installation to boot list I get quot The requested system device cannot be found quot My current boot-info is available here Ubuntu Pastebin I am definitely not an expert in this matter and I would really appreciate any good advice you can provide Thanks a lot for your help

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/380035-win-7-boot-bcd-issue-after-installing-ubuntu-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 70.09%

Hello I have recently installed Ubuntu Lts in dual boot on my second drive but since then I am unable to boot into windows on my first drive Ubuntu is installed in UEFI like Windows In my BIOS I have the two options for my first drive ubuntu and Windows Boot Manager windows7 Ubuntu 14.04Lts boot can't into Dual boot with Ubuntu works fine but when I select Windows Boot Manager Dual boot with Ubuntu 14.04Lts can't boot into windows7 I get error Status xc Info A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed When I boot into Ubuntu I got entries in my GRUB menu Windows UEFI bootmgfw efi Windows Boot UEFI loader and Windows Boot Manager on dev sda They all give me the same error when I select them file windows system winload efi status xc info The application or operating system couldn't be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors I have tried booting in UEFI on a windows installation disk and running startup repairs but it failed in System files integrity check and repair with failed-error code x Can anyone help Thanks

A:Dual boot with Ubuntu 14.04Lts can't boot into windows7

Can you please post a screenshot of the menu you have when you boot into the installation disk?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/367769-dual-boot-ubuntu-14-04lts-cant-boot-into-windows7.html
Relevancy 70.09%

I have dual boot Ubuntu 11.04 and Windows 7 and now i cant boot Windows it says Windows can not start the installation process.

A:I have dual boot Ubuntu 11.04 and Windows 7 and now i cant boot Window

Could you tell me exactly how you installed Ubuntu in your dual boot? Did you use Wubi Installer or install the OS on a separate partition?

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/189146-i-have-dual-boot-ubuntu-11-04-windows-7-now-i-cant-boot-window.html
Relevancy 70.09%
A:Cannot Boot Windows 7 after Uninstalling Ubuntu Dual-Boot

The Linux Grub messed you up. You can try to fix it with EasyBCD. Elseyou can make your C: partition active (with the bootable CD of Partition Wizard) and run repair/install with your installation disk 3 times. Reboot after each time.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/278972-cannot-boot-windows-7-after-uninstalling-ubuntu-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 70.09%

hello

I have Asus laptop with OEM Win7 HomeP 64bit on it, I installed Ubuntu 12.04 along side with Win7, didn't know that Ubuntu will be the main boot, I used Ubuntu 11.10 a year a go and Windows was my main boot, I tired several way to retrieve Win7 as main boot but didn't work.

I tried to fully recover Windows, but when finished I get black screen with "getgrub error"
now recovery doesn't work any more.

I want to get rid of Ubuntu for ever, how? without losing my genuine Win7

A:Dual Boot problem, Ubuntu is the main boot

Hello, Mesh F90 and welcome to Seven Forums.

First you to boot to Ubuntu 12.04 and follow this :

1. Open your Terminal.
2. Type grep menuentry /boot/grub/grub.cfg
3. You will got something like :
menuentry "Windows 7 (loader) (on /dev/sda1)" {
You will got other lines but you need this, this is last one.
4. Remember this quotes for Windows 7 (ex . "Windows 7 (loader) (on /dev/sda1)") (DON'T FORGOT quotes!!!) you will need it later.
5. In Terminal type this : sudo nano -B /etc/default/grub
6. You will got this :

Code:
# If you change this file, run 'update-grub' afterwards to update
# /boot/grub/grub.cfg.

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
#GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
#GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="delayacct"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
.... you will have more ....

7. Change GRUB_DEFAULT to value for Windows 7 from menuentry (you remembered it ) (ex. GRUB_DEFAULT="Windows 7 (loader) (on /dev/sda1)") (DON'T FORGET quotes).
8. Press CTRL+X and type "y" (without quotes) to save it.
9. Important step! Type in your terminal : sudo update-grub
to save your changes

That is all and Windows 7 will be default now.

Trinty

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/250480-dual-boot-problem-ubuntu-main-boot.html
Relevancy 70.09%

I installed Ubuntu on the same hard drive as my Windows different partition ofcourse Now even with windows boot manager when I choose 'start windows' it writes 'windows is loading files' then reboots Can't use recovery options quot repair your computer quot off my windows cd 14.04 Windows won't boot Ubuntu installing dual-boot. after for since it keeps telling me I don't have the matching windows version perhaps since ubuntu made some changes ro the MBR Solutions I've tried Fixing MBR with a 'utility' boot-cd like hiren's All it did was mess up ubuntu aswell so I had to reinstall ubuntu just to be able to boot Tried using boot-repair utility in Ubuntu - didn't work same problem Tried burning rescue disc off an existing windows computer Same error - 'no matching windows found' How can I reach window's rescue enviourment if it won't let me boot into it I would try to use bootrec exe but I can't get to it Please help I really don't want to re-install windows and lose all I Windows won't boot after installing Ubuntu 14.04 for dual-boot. have on that partition

A:Windows won't boot after installing Ubuntu 14.04 for dual-boot.

First off, if you can boot into Ubuntu you can browse the Windows partition and copy your files to a USB HDD for backup, so you won't loose anything if you have to reinstall.
Then use EasyBCD boot manager to manage your OS's boot loader.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-wont-boot-after-installing-ubuntu-14-04-for-dual-boot-860057.html
Relevancy 70.09%

I have dual boot Ubuntu 11.04 and Windows 7 and now i cant boot Windows it says Windows can not start the installation process.

A:I have dual boot Ubuntu 11.04 and Windows 7 and now i cant boot Window

The best two ways of running Linux with Wondows on one Hd drive.
Dual Boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu
Linux - Install on Windows 7 Virtual Machine using VirtualBox

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/189143-i-have-dual-boot-ubuntu-11-04-windows-7-now-i-cant-boot-window.html
Relevancy 69.66%

Hey guys! I recently uninstalled Ubuntu (installed to Windows) but its still on the boot order. The boot order is however NOT GRUB so I am wondering how to remove it. Thanks!

A:Removing ubuntu from Boot Order Windows 7

Hi,

There is a file that lists the boot information, but I can't remember where it is. I am going to through this over to the windows folks as they will know what file I am talking about and know where it is.

Cheers!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/removing-ubuntu-from-boot-order-windows-7-a-396191.html
Relevancy 69.66%

Hello I have installed windows on a different partition without removing windows xp Now I am having trouble removing windows xp from my windows ubuntu boot Ubuntu triple Removing Windows 7, boot XP from The problem is when I try to delete the partition it keeps telling me quot Delete is not allowed on the current boot system pagefile crashdump or hibernation volume quot Here is my Disk Management Simple Basic Healthy Primary Partition Removing XP from Windows 7, Ubuntu triple boot - gt Linux C Simple Basic NTFS Healthy Boot Page File Active Crash Dump Primary Partition - gt win D Simple Basic NTFS Healthy System Primary Partition - gt xp E Simple Basic NTFS Healthy Logical Drive - gt for data In boot manager I only have one boot entry quot Windows quot because I removed windows and Removing XP from Windows 7, Ubuntu triple boot ubuntu from it using easybcd i use grub for all Even if the Boot is written for win in disk management I don't have bootmgr and boot in my win partition It's in winxp partition EasyBCD keeps giving me error quot The boot configuration data store could not be opened The system cannot find the file specified quot so i have to manually refer to the BCD file located in winxp partition What should I do to remove windows xp Thanks Kasya

A:Removing XP from Windows 7, Ubuntu triple boot

It says it is the system partition. Thus the Bootloader for windows 7 resides on it. You can delete the Windows folder, and many of the other folders on the XP drive, but not the Boot - Boot Configuration Data (BCD) folder or many of the files in the Root of that drive - if you do, you may need to repair or reinstall windows 7.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/151601-removing-xp-windows-7-ubuntu-triple-boot.html
Relevancy 69.66%

How come the thread has been marked solved?

There are several videos on youtube explaining how, here is just one:

How to Install Ubuntu 12.04 to Dual boot alongside Windows 8 - YouTube

A:How to dual boot windows 8 and ubuntu 12.04 LTS?

Someone was having trouble with this in another sub-board, I'll copy that video link over to them.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/32750-how-dual-boot-windows-8-ubuntu-12-04-lts.html
Relevancy 69.66%

I was attempting to set up my laptop as a dual boot with Vista (already on it) and Ubuntu. While the installation was partitioning the hard drive it froze. I think this erased my dell partition on the computer. Is there a way to fix this?

A:Ubuntu/Vista dual boot

When you say Dell do you mean the vista partition?

I'm afraid i need more information regarding how you were partitioning your hard disk:

1. Were you using the Ubuntu installer to format the drive?
2. What were you doing? (were you resizing the Vista partition, or using another one?)

It will only have made any modification to the "Dell" partition if you were either resizing it, or you have unknowingly deleted it.

If you restart the installation what do you see in the hard disk menu?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ubuntu-vista-dual-boot.154163/
Relevancy 69.66%

i have dual boot windows 7 with ubuntu, but after that ubuntu run well but it is not displaying any drive. then i restart windows,
it shows 5 boot option 2 of ubuntu, 2 of memtest, and 1 of windows 7 loader(on\devsda2\) something. when i click on it
it shows 2 option:
1. launch startup repair
2. start window normally
when i click on " start window normally" it restart after displaying a blue screen for 1 second.
launch startup repair is also not working.

then i finally decided to start a fresh copy of windows 7, but on partition manager it shows no drive when i boot it from windows 7 DVD.

help me to correct this problem without any data loss.

A:7 is not working after dual boot with ubuntu

Hello vikrantsjs.

The first thing to do would be to make backups of the data you need to save to external media using the method out-lined in this tutorial at the link below, it works very well, I've used it myself.

Copy & Paste - in Windows Recovery Console

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/122763-7-not-working-after-dual-boot-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 69.66%

Hi I have been researching installing Ubuntu alongside Win on my boot and windows ubuntu 8 dual daughters laptop I dual boot windows 8 and ubuntu already boot Ubuntu amp Win on my desktop pc but I have read some horror stories about installing Ubuntu with Win mostly in regard to the uefi boot system in dual boot windows 8 and ubuntu Win as well as its a laptop as opposed to desktop I have been told that i must enter the bios first and disable secure boot Most of the tutorials I have read are dual boot windows 8 and ubuntu very complex Then i read a tutorial from this website dated that appeared to be simple and similar to my own Ubuntu Win installation however it was dated Dual Boot Windows And Ubuntu Posted November pm in Windows Guides The only difference with my intended installation is that I will use a dvd as my Pc does not have a USB Boot option Please can anyone confirm that this Tutorial is valid and perhaps explain why so many other tutorials require BCD disable secure boot plus many other things outside the scope of my experience I would be most grateful I have even read that a mobo was destroyed by an incorrect installation and as this is my daughter's laptop i really dont want to have to buy her a new one Thanks

A:dual boot windows 8 and ubuntu

Samsung Laptops Bricked by Booting Linux Using UEFI

How to dual boot with Ubuntu & Windows 8, with Secure Boot ENABLED.
Practical UEFI Secure Boot (Part 3 of 3) - YouTube

To Downgrade to MS Windows 7or install with these BIOS settings:

Fujitsu Manual:
Secure Boot 2.zip

Originally Posted by Fujitsu

Advanced  Boot Configurations  Fast Boot : [Disabled]
Advanced  Boot Configurations  CSM : [Enabled]
Security  Secure Boot Configuration  Secure Boot Option : [Disabled]
To change these settings it is necessary that a Supervisor Password is set.

1) Set CSM to UEFI & Legacy.

2) For Noteboks, you will need to set a Password.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/30262-dual-boot-windows-8-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 69.66%

My original OS is XP, I finally installed Ubuntu on its own partition.
Ubuntu looks fine on a few trials, except that:
1. Documents saved in Ubuntu cannot be opened by XP, although all my documents from XP can be opened by Ubuntu. That limits my continuation of Ubuntu- If there are reasonable solutions available I have not yet found them. Help anyone?

2. Yes, I play games. Right now, Freecell. Using XP, I am at 4430, going up serially. (I have no solution for 1941). Ubuntu did not allow me to choose a number of my choosing. This limitation may apply to other items.

3. I must have XP as a dual boot, since I cooperate with my grandson, and my other younger grandchildren use my computer when they -often-come around.

4. What are the differences between Ubuntu, Kubuntu, etc. As a long-time Windows user, I like the GUI system, though I use the command when necessary. Preferences anyone?
Thanks
ezrab

A:Ubuntu XP dual boot comparison & changes

ezrab said:

4. What are the differences between Ubuntu, Kubuntu, etc.Click to expand...

"Kubuntu" has what is called a "KDE" desktop, "Ubuntu" is a Gnome desktop.
Just a matter of style and personal taste. Ubuntu is the more popular of the two. If you'd like to try a KDE desktop, you would be better off installing "OpenSUSE"
http://en.opensuse.org/Welcome_to_openSUSE.org

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ubuntu-xp-dual-boot-comparison-changes.125918/
Relevancy 69.66%

I Dual Win Ubuntu 7 borked. boot 12.04 / am a new member of this forum and a Windows user for the first time in ten years Win Dual boot Win 7 / Ubuntu 12.04 borked. K I have been running my Windows install for two weeks on my home built desktop box When I originally installed Win I erased my Linux system and let the Windows installer choose which of my two internal drives to install on The install went fine but after two weeks I started missing Linux Yesterday I installed the latest version of Ubuntu This formats the drive in Linux dev sda - I don't know what that would be in Windows and installs the Linux Grub boot loader However Grub is unable to find a Win installation that it can add to the boot loader I assume that either the Win boot loader files were deleted or the quot secret quot partition was erased or both I have a post here that has been trying to address the problem mainly from the Linux side but as can be seen I also refer to what I have done to try to repair the Win boot loader The problem is that I have basically been asking Linux users to help me with a Win problem Anyone out there that can help me sort this out so that I can use both Linux and Windows

A:Dual boot Win 7 / Ubuntu 12.04 borked.

Hi,

Download and use the free version of EasyBCD to add the Ubuntu entry so it chainloads from the Windows bootloader. Refer to this guide:

http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Ubuntu

Regards,
Golden

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/251460-dual-boot-win-7-ubuntu-12-04-borked.html
Relevancy 69.66%

I have Ubuntu 9.04 installed on a laptop already and I wanna dual boot with Windows 7 RC1. How do I?

A:Dual Boot - Ubuntu Already Installed

First you need to partition the hdd .I recomend using Acronis Disk Director Suite v10. http://www.acronis.com/promo/choose...rector suite&gclid=CLuLq7K3-poCFRKLxwodrB3leQ

Boot from the win7 cd and follow the instrutions.

After that format the new partition that you plan to install windows 7 on.You need to format it to NTFS.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dual-boot-ubuntu-already-installed.833152/
Relevancy 69.66%

Hey guys,

I am looking to dual boot 7 and Ubuntu 9.10 and need some assistance. I installed 7 first on one drive and Ubuntu later on a completely separate drive. Here are my current dilemmas:

1) I do not get the option to choose the OS I boot to.
2) When Linux boots it goes to black screen and stops.

I have done some reading and saw that there is a possibility that my GPU could be the cause of the black screen due to a lack of drivers or compatibility. I also think I need to do some configuring within Ubuntu to fix my boot order. I have only read about people configuring two partitions not two different drives but I don't think it should be an issue. My system specs are noted below. Again, Ubuntu is on separate 80GB SATA drive.

Thank you in advance.

A:Dual Boot Win7 and Ubuntu 9.10

Are you wanting Win 7 to be the primary boot device, or Ubuntu and use Grub for the boots?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/68163-dual-boot-win7-ubuntu-9-10-a.html
Relevancy 69.66%

Hello all First off if this is in the wrong 7 dual boot? Windows Ubuntu and forum I apologize OK what I am trying to do here is have my computer dual boot Windows and Ubuntu I have Windows installed on my original hard disk I bought a second hard disk last week and installed Ubuntu on it I am trying to get my computer to be able to boot both of Windows 7 and Ubuntu dual boot? them I want to have the Windows hdd be the primary boot with the Ubuntu hdd be the option To get the Windows hdd to work I have to completely remove the Ubuntu hdd If the Ubuntu Windows 7 and Ubuntu dual boot? hdd is installed the Windows hdd will not boot The computer will start up and - seconds later it will restart and freeze at the quot Starting Windows quot screen If I put the Ubuntu hdd in the main slot and the Windows hdd in the secondary it will start right up and recognize that the Windows hdd is installed I think that this is because Windows wants to be the only OS and doesn't recognize others How do I change this so that both Windows 7 and Ubuntu dual boot? hdds are bootable without physically removing one I have looked on both UbuntuForums Windows website and here and have found nothing that helps

A:Windows 7 and Ubuntu dual boot?

Was the Windows hard drive connected when you installed Ubuntu?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/67154-windows-7-ubuntu-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 69.66%

I want to use Windows 8 Pro and Ubuntu 13.04 on a single machine.How do I achieve this in a stable manner?
I want to use Ubuntu as a backup OS if Windows 8 ever crashes.Kindly suggest the best possible and optimum solution with detailed steps.

A:Need to dual boot Windows 8 Pro and Ubuntu

Hi,
A very clear step by step guide here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

Hope this helps.

Richard

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-to-dual-boot-windows-8-pro-and-ubuntu.1107731/
Relevancy 69.66%

Forum admin please bump this if you feel it is in the wrong local grin I recently tried loading Ubuntu onto a separate drive on boot 7 dual and Windows Ubuntu my computer All went well except for the boot process Upon booting I no longer was brought to the normal dual boot screen instead I now got what I beleive to be the Linux boot screen From here I was able to still load windows with a few more steps What didn't like was the Windows 7 and Ubuntu dual boot thought that Ubuntu took over I did some research and figured I should reinstall it I went to the Windows partition and formatted the section that had Ubuntu on it Much to my surprise Ubuntu loaded itself on the same HDD as Windows Windows 7 and Ubuntu dual boot I formatted the section holding Ubuntu and restarted the system to this problem grub loading error unknown filesystem grub rescue So here I' stuck The only ability I have is to get into bios and change my boot devive I need help retrieving Windows Thank you Tom

A:Windows 7 and Ubuntu dual boot

Hi Tom

Do you have a windows 7 repair disk? If you do, then boot from the disk (by using your computer Bios). Once the disk has loaded you can do a system restore as it restores your computer to an earlier point in time before your computer crashed.

A similar problem happened to my computer (with Linux Mint) and I used that method to restore windows 7.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/75536-windows-7-ubuntu-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 69.66%

how to dual boot windows 10 and ubuntu 15.04 easily i have had issues with the partitions anybody got any ideas

A:how to dual boot windows 10 and ubuntu

Hi pc helper 123456789,
I found a blog discussing about tip for dual-booting Windows 10 preview and Linux on a PC with UEFI firmware. It may be useful.
Tip for dual-booting Windows 10 preview and Linux on a PC with UEFI firmware
http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2015/01/18/tip-for-dual-booting-windows-10-preview-and-linux-on-a-pc-with-uefi-firmware/
As ZigZag indicated, we also could try to run the ubuntu in the Hyper-V if we want to use the two systems in a machine.
NOTE: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites.
Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact [email protected]

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/3bd904e4-d917-400e-934d-9f461c733b23/how-to-dual-boot-windows-10-and-ubuntu?forum=w8itprogeneral
Relevancy 69.66%

Hi,

I have a dual boot system with Win 7 home and Ubuntu 12.10 on a samsung SSD. I want to uninstall ubuntu as I don't use it and want that space for Win 7. I am able to use disk manager to delete and resize partitions.

I've done some research and know that I need to fix the MBR, and to do this before I go about deleting partitions.

I have used the win 7 disk to try and repair my system with the plan to use
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /fixmbr

The problem that I have is that the repair disk will not recognise C:/ as it is on an SSD. I have an option to load drivers when running the repair disk, but I don't know what driver I need or where I can get it - any signposting would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Will

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/uninstall-ubuntu-from-a-dual-boot-pc.196275/
Relevancy 69.66%

Hi everyone,

I used to have Windows 7 on my laptop, then it started having random problems. So I installed Ubuntu and then installed Windows 7 clean again on another partition. Problem is, whenever it booted I just saw a screen with only a flashing underscore and nothing happening.

So I reinstalled windows 7, installed Grub, ran grub-update command. Grub boots fine, its menu shows Ubuntu and Windows 7 choices correctly.
Ubuntu works fine, but Windows still only shows this useless flashing underscore. <-- did this several times to be sure.

Any ideas ?

A:Dual boot W7/Ubuntu question

Not a direct answer to your question. But have you tried VirtualBox, it's free, and its like VMWare. So you can run Ubuntu within Windows.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dual-boot-w7-ubuntu-question.973470/
Relevancy 69.66%

Ok so what i have is Windows 7 RC installed to my hard drive. I have a seperate partition which i would like to install Ubuntu on. Granted i could just go ahead and straight install but then i would be using the Grub bootloader and i don't want to.

What is my best option? That NeoGrub thing?

A:Windows 7 and Ubuntu Dual Boot

Don't forget that *nix uses more than one partition. It's been a real long time since I installed and used any version, but I think by default it uses one each for boot, system and paging. So you may want to consider that.

A possible way to do what you want might be to install Ubuntu, then boot to Windows 7 using Grub. Then use EasyBCD manage bootloader tab to reinstall the Vista bootlader.

I never tried to use that before, so if it doesn't work out, don't blame me. Get a second opinion about this, first.

Good luck. Final thought: I'd probably use an entirely different physical drive to install Ubuntu to, while the 7 drive was unplugged. Then you could just add Ubuntu to 7 bootloader later on.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/10599-windows-7-ubuntu-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 69.66%

A few days ago I could not access my Windows XP because of this error quot Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt Windows System Config System quot I was still able to access Ubuntu through the Dual boot startup menu I accessed the Internet using Ubuntu to ask for help fourms I tried all the suggestions for Recovery Repair using my Windows XP installation disk and it appeared to have fixed my problem but now it is asking me for my Administrator Password I used or entered my Admin Password yet it won t let me in When I ask for help on the Internet with boot, Dual Windows/Ubuntu that everyone thinks I am trying to break in to someone else s computer and I get no responses or negative Dual boot, Windows/Ubuntu responses It seems that I may have to do a clean Install of my Windows XP My concern now is if the Dual Boot menu that directs me to either OS will be wiped out when I do a clean install of Windows XP BTW Windows XP is solely on the C Drive and Ubuntu is on the D Drive Each drive is Dual boot, Windows/Ubuntu GB Any final suggestions before I do the clean install As you can see I am very hesitant in doing this One final note I was able to access some important files from my C Drive through Ubuntu and save them on my Flash Drive Thanks nbsp

A:Dual boot, Windows/Ubuntu

dual boot

After two days I finally solved my problem. No thanks to anyone on this forum.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-boot-windows-ubuntu.115109/
Relevancy 69.66%

Hi,

I have my Windows 8 installed in my C drive and it is the only OS I have as of now. I want to install Ubuntu 12.04 alongside Windows 8. But I have read so many negative things with regards to problems in booting after installing Ubuntu alongside Windows 8.

My Win 8 is installed in UEFI mode.

I am posting a screenshot of disk management
Will installing Ubuntu 12.04 cause any problems in booting?

A:How to dual boot Ubuntu 12.04 and Windows 8?

1) Windows 8 is not install in UEFI mode.

2) I would wait until the end of April to install Ubuntu, as version 13 will be out, which should work better with Windows 8.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/23445-how-dual-boot-ubuntu-12-04-windows-8-a.html
Relevancy 69.66%

My Windows/Ubuntu of Dual Getting Rid Boot PC has two hard drives The first hard drive is running Windows XP Professional sp and the second hard drive has Ubuntu Linux in a dual boot Getting Rid of Windows/Ubuntu Dual Boot configuration This means that I have something called Grub which causes a menu to come up so that I can select which of Getting Rid of Windows/Ubuntu Dual Boot the two OS s I want to load The default is Windows XP Professional I recently got interested in running Microsoft Virtual PC and would like to set it up to run Ubuntu Linux That way I don t have to worry about dual-booting anymore and I can gain access to my GB second hard drive from within Windows XP I did a little research on how to uninstall Ubuntu without harming Windows XP But the problem I am running into is that there seems to be two ways of doing it Go into the Win XP Recovery Console and run FIXMBR after which the Grub boot menu will go away and I can format my second hard drive Or Go into the Win XP Recovery Console and run FIXBOOT then FIXMBR after which the Grub boot menu will go away and I can format my second hard drive So which is it FIXMBR only Or FIXBOOT first then FIXMBR Any help would be greatly appreciated RamFel

A:Getting Rid of Windows/Ubuntu Dual Boot

I'm nearly positive it doesn't matter. As long as you uninstall Ubuntu first.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/getting-rid-of-windows-ubuntu-dual-boot-340327.html
Relevancy 69.66%

Hi! i am trying to get an old Panasonic toughbook (2 GB RAM ) going with a dual boot of the latest Ubuntu and windows 7 ... how exactly would i go about doing this on a completly blank new hardrive , thanks!!!

A:Ubuntu and Windows 7 dual boot ?

Dual Boot - Windows 7 and Linux

Where to install ubuntu in my system?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/344071-ubuntu-windows-7-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 69.66%
A:Dual boot Windows 10 and Ubuntu 16.04?

Once I had Windows 10 RTM dual booting with Linux 17.2. No issue whatsoever.

Here is a tutorial on dual booting Win 10 and Ubuntu 15.04
http://www.linuxandubuntu.com/home/d...th-screenshots

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/46847-dual-boot-windows-10-ubuntu-16-04-a.html
Relevancy 69.66%

Hi everyone,
I have a Windows 7 OS installed on a SATA drive, A few days ago I installed Ubuntu 10.10 on an IDE drive. So far the only way is to switch the HDD drives in BIOS to boot up the one I want. Can anyone help me here.

A:Windows 7 and Ubuntu dual-boot

do you want to dual boot them off the same hard drive?
I do the same swapping thing for 7 and Vista, but I have to take the side off the case and switch the cables as my bios doesn't support multiple hard drives

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/157419-windows-7-ubuntu-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 69.66%

hi
i have installed windows 7 then ubuntu alongside it
everytime i start the pc up, there is a screen to choose the OS, that's OK
i think the boot partition is ubuntu
once i removed ubuntu completely from the device and i was unable to boot windows, not even after trying to repair Windows via its DVD, until i installed ubuntu again and did it

i want a way now to remove ubuntu and stay on Windows only, but i can't get it booted up, can anyone help me please???

Note: i removed Ubuntu via windows, right-click on my computer and manage, then formatted its partition

thanks in advance

A:Dual-boot, remove Ubuntu

Mark the Win7 Partition Active.

Then run Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times to write or repair the System boot files to the Win7 partition and overwrite GRUB boot loader.

Be aware however that GRUB can cause Win7 to become irreparable when on the same HD.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/245770-dual-boot-remove-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 69.66%

Hello all This is my first post although I've been going with boot? xp/ubuntu dual Run safely to the site for years My question is about whether I can safely continue to use xp for applications and just use linux for internet usage Specifically if I install Ubuntu as dual boot can I disable XP internet access I replaced xp on my computer with Ubuntu and I'm fine with it But I got my wife to sit down with it and I don't think she's going to be able to handle it for anything except internet browsing So I need to know if I can just disable xp for internet access and will it be safe for her Run xp/ubuntu safely with dual boot? to be online just Run xp/ubuntu safely with dual boot? in linux or is there a chance that she can Run xp/ubuntu safely with dual boot? pick up viruses or malware even though xp is disabled If this is a plausible solution aside from replacing xp with win or which I can't afford to do right now how do I go about disabling xp Thanks Jim

A:Run xp/ubuntu safely with dual boot?

If you have Ubuntu and Windows XP set up on your system in a dual-boot configuration, you should be able to simply disable the network access for the Windows XP system like you normally could before when there was only Windows XP on the computer.  In a dual-boot configuration, the operating systems are completely autonomous.  As far as I can see, if the Windows system is not connected to the internet, there should be no problems with worrying about getting an infection.  In essence, if a computer is not connected to the internet, it really just turns into a storage medium that can run software and the ways it can get infected are dropped down to an infected USB or other manual way of transferring an infection.

Hope this helps and if anyone has anything to add or correct, please do so.  

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/528480/run-xpubuntu-safely-with-dual-boot/
Relevancy 69.66%

Hp envy 6 sleekbook 6z 1100 I have already disable the secure boot in the BIOS But I still cannot install the ubuntu 13.04 The installation was good and smooth But after reboot, there is no boot menu appear for me to choose which OS I want to boot I wonder if HP locked something......... or should I turn on Legacy support in the BIOS? But ubuntu 13.04 should support EFL BIOS I need Ubuntu for work!

Solved!
View Solution.

A:How to dual boot ubuntu and windows 8?

Hi, The following tutorials will help:   http://apcmag.com/how-to-dual-boot-windows-8-and-linux.htm  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNCSbTyUzoM Regards.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/How-to-dual-boot-ubuntu-and-windows-8/td-p/2625383
Relevancy 69.66%

So I currently run Ubuntu as the sole OS on my Laptop Using a G-Parted live CD I partitioned half of my disk space the one half dedicated to running Ubuntu and the other half to Windows I downloaded a torrent of Windows one that I have used before with success so one that I trust and burned it to a DVD-RW at the slowest burning speed possible I booted Windows through the DVD and began to do a clean install of Windows on this one Partition that I left completely empty for the new OS Everything runs smoothly and I go through the set-up until suddenly the installation hangs at when 'Expanding Windows Files' I have exhausted pretty much all the possibilities of what could be going wrong to Windows Dual-Boot Trying to Ubuntu and 7 my knowledge - saying that however my knowledge isn't very Trying to Dual-Boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu extensive at all Could someone possible share some info on what I could be doing wrong I'm desperate to get Windows up and running on this computer so I can begin playing some games that are otherwise impossible or incredibly difficult to get working on Ubuntu notably as an avid player of the Football Manager series the upcoming release of FM If anyone can offer some sort of help fix I'll be extremely grateful Like seriously

A:Trying to Dual-Boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu

The best two ways of running Linux with Wondows on one Hd drive.
Dual Boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu
Linux - Install on Windows 7 Virtual Machine using VirtualBox

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/184474-trying-dual-boot-windows-7-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 69.66%

I had Ubuntu installed on an external HDD, but back when I had XP, I formatted it for general storage. Now I'm running Seven and I have no idea how to remove the Ubuntu option from my Dual Boot menu. Please help...

A:Old Ubuntu dual boot problem

Is this a linux bootloader or the Windows bootloader that's currently active?

edit: try this: http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/52372-old-ubuntu-dual-boot-problem.html
Relevancy 69.23%

Hi,
Not an expert. Tried a lot of things trying to make my laptop dual boot Win and Lin. UEFI doesnt work anymore (no boot options available), I have AHCI off, use legacy boot option, secure boot off.
Installing Ubuntu gives fatal error installing Grub.
If I run the Startup repair from the W10 DVD it sais it cant repair.
So there seems to be something wrong with the boot sector?
Now I can only install W10, before I could install Linux but even that doesn't work anymore due to the bootloader error. Before it installed but had different problems with the bootloader. Either it wouldnt show up (and started W10) or it just restarted after choosing W10, only Linux would boot.
Tried to delete all partitions with Gparted from live usb but no result.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19990545
Relevancy 69.23%

Hi everyone I was experimenting with Elementary OS when it went a little wonky just became unresponsive and features had broken Couldn t really figure out the problem so I just decided to uninstall it I deleted the partitions that it had been installed on and tried to restart into Windows I got a screen much like the one in the attachment below I did some searching on my other computer and found out that GRUB is the bootloader for linux and replaces Windows bootloader when you install it I also found that to restore windows bootloader you re gonna need a windows Solved: boot dual Can't Deleted Linux boot - Recovery disk So I made a recovery disk using my Windows laptop Using a Flash Drive plugged it into my crippled computer booted from the USB followed the instructions that I had accumulated from multiple websites explaining what to do The specific instructions were to go to the command prompt within the recovery disk and type Code bootrec exe fixmbr I also had tried Code bootrec exe fixboot since another site had suggested trying that They both said that the operation was successful I was then told that I should be able to reboot into Solved: Deleted dual boot Linux - Can't boot windows Windows good as new Well I can t I m still getting the same GRUB rescue screen linked above So that s the problem Here s various bits that may be helpful Crippled PC - Windows Pro GB SSD - Solved: Deleted dual boot Linux - Can't boot windows Windows install NOTE When trying to reset it gave me the message saying that the drive with Windows installed was locked and that it needed unlocked in order to reset refresh it TB HD - Just extra storage for Windows TB HD - This is the drive that had the linux partitions about GB was for linux now just unallocated The rest is one partition that contains some backup information NOTE If it makes any difference this was an external HD that I ripped out of its enclosure as the SATA to USB converter card seemed to be going out Other notes The recovery disk was made on my Windows laptop that originally shipped with Windows not it s also just the Basic version not Pro The crippled PC was built with Windows Pro I personally built the crippled PC so there is no recovery partition within it If any other information is required please let me know and thank you for any help Also if this issue was already been presented and fixed please do link it to me I couldn t find any where using these commands didn t work nbsp