Windows Support Forum

How to repair/change the AC adapter socket?

Q: How to repair/change the AC adapter socket?

Hi guys!

Recently, my laptop (Compaq Presario CQ50) battery passed away and unfortunately, the day after, the same thing happened to my AC adapter. Actually, the adapter itself works perfectly, except for the socket inside the laptop.

It seems this part is loose and no power can now reach my laptop. I don't care running my laptop only plugged to the wall outlet since I'm using it only in the living room. It's old and the replacement battery is quite expensive (I could not charge the battery without a working ac adapter anyways).

I was wondering if it was possible to buy only the socket and also how to replace it?

Thank you!
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: How to repair/change the AC adapter socket?

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 24.08%

Something like this but with a thin male connector. I need it to connect flash drives to a usb port where there's little space available around the usb port because the ports around are busy (happens in MacBook air for example).

A:I need a usb to usb cable adapter with thin male end

I think you're talking about a USB to Lightening converter
Relevancy 23.22%

I sometimes wonder about techs using tools such as Seatools, HDD regenerator etc to diagnose/repair hard drives. Do any of these tools beat Chkdsk in any way?
(besides data recovery tools, I guess those have no match in Windows).

Thank you

A:Do you need more than Windows default tools to check/repair a hard drive?

IMO, always use the tool provided by the vender. At the time you need this tool, you don't need a 3rd party screw-up to 'help you' really mess it up.
Relevancy 24.08%

To start off my laptop is an Asus G VW-AS The wireless network adapter is an Atheros AR WB-EG The issue I m having only starts when I play an online game It s not a specific one it happens with all my games After about a few matches I will begin to experience terrible lag spikes Ranging from - ms sometimes even going up to over Usually the spikes are permanent I will jump to around ping and hover in that general number with it occasionally sliding back down to my normal only to immediately spring back up again After this begins to happen any application I use that uses internet internet browser skype etc also lags is severely slowed down This lag is never experienced on any other system using our wireless internet which makes me believe it is in fact my laptop s wireless adapter that is the problem Doing a windows troubleshoot on the adapter DOES fix it but it only fixes it for about to minutes and then I begin to lag adapter network Problems with wireless again Also the troubleshooter seems to only be able to fix it once If I try to troubleshoot the adapter again after already fixing it before that way the troubleshooter will tell me that it couldn t find anything wrong Manually restarting the adapter only works once as well Restarting the computer does not help the problem If the laptop is shut down for a few hours and started back up the adapter will work properly as long as I do not start a game Could anyone help tell me how to stop this from happening Do I need to get a new adapter or is there something I can do for the current one nbsp

A:Problems with wireless network adapter

Are you sure it is not an issue with your router? Also I dont know where to get Atheros drivers other than from the manufacturer (vaio, lenovo, etc) website. There are no official drivers
Relevancy 21.5%

My Friend has a HP Pavilion DV2000 Laptop. His display isn't work. Suddenly display gone. But I thought it could be Display problem not a VGA. So, i tried to connect an external monitor and used Shortcut keys to change the display. I pressed fu + F1 or Fu + F2 or Fu + F3 or Fu + F4 up-to F12. But no result.
I couldn't check whether it's a Display or VGA card problem. IS there any other way to check it. in addition to these is there any other combination keys to Change the display to an external monitor. I'm unable to check whether i get login or not. if I can login then i can use Windows Key + P. Then i can select mode. But I'm Unable to anything here. Please help me to find the problem and i have to take it to repairing shop.
Thanks in Advanced

A:Change display of laptop to external monitor

It should be the Fn + the key that shows a monitor symbol. If it still doesn't display, the motherboard video processor has failed, and not the LCD Panel
Relevancy 32.25%

I'm replacing a motherboard for a HP laptop. I need to replace this backplate for the CPU heatsink to the new motherboard. I've tried to pull it out but it seems to be glued onto the motherboard.
If I manage to pull it out, should I replace the glue, double-sided tape or whatever is underneath?

HP G62-b80SS laptop.
Intel Core i3 CPU.
Thank you

A:How can I remove/replace this CPU heatsink backplate (where the CPU socket is screwed)?

It is probably double stick tape used to insure it stays in place. Replacing it is your call. As long as the heatsink is mounted correctly, it really doesn't matter if the backplate is loose or stuck in place. Sticking the backplate simply makes mounting the heatsink easier to manage.
Relevancy 24.08%

How to repair a corrupt 64gig flash drive

A:Flash drive repair

Hi, This really depends on how it has 'gone wrong'.
If it's a hardware failure then nothing you can do will sort it out.
But if it's a software/format failure then;
Save everything you want off of it with a program such as 'Recuva'.
Then Format it again by;
Right-click on the Flash drive's icon in 'explorer' or 'Computer',
Choose 'Properties' from the list,
Choose 'Format'
Set the option of FAT 32,
Untick the 'Quick format' option, so that you are using the slower full format option.
Click OK.
Note that all the files that were on it will be gone, so be sure to save any valuable files first, if you can.
Relevancy 24.51%

Recently my Gbps has taken a serious nosedive I was around Gbps then it dropped dl Adapter 0.84Gbps Network The other computers on the network are getting Network Adapter 0.84Gbps dl great speeds it s just my computer My computer is running fine It s just the connection speeds This isn t just happening on WI-fi it s also happening when I plug in the Ethernet cord My network adapters are Broadcom n Network Adapter Microsoft Kernel Debug Network Adapter Qualcomm Atheros AR PC-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller NDIS They are all up to date And I use Avast internet security Also I ve cleaned the cache in both firefox and chrome browsers I ve also removed all but add block add-ons I m using AARIS modum router through time warner cable And again the Network Adapter 0.84Gbps dl other computers are getting great speeds always up of Gbps I even checked my Mom brand new computer which is getting upwards of Gbps I ve called TWC they sent someone the wires were a bit loose and it fixed everyone s laptop but mine Please help I m clueless here Here is the Broadcom n Network Adapter settings - auto mhz - Disabled n Preamble - Auto Antenna Diversity - Auto AP Compatibility Mode - Higher performance Bandwidth capability - b g MHz Bluetooth Collaboration - Auto BSS PLCP Header - Auto Short Long BT-AMP - Enabled Disable Uon Wired Connect - Disabled Fragmentation Threshold - IBSS g tm Protection Mode - Auto IBSS Mode - b Only Locally Administered MAC Adress - not present Minimum Power Consumption - Enabled Mixed Cell Support - Disabled Power Output - Priority amp VLAN - Prioroity amp Vlan Disabled Rate - Best Rate Roam Tendency - Auto Roaming Decision - Auto RTS Threshold - Shorti GI - Auto WMM - Enabled WZC IBSS Chaneel Number - MHz XPress TM Technology - Disabled nbsp

A:Network Adapter 0.84Gbps dl

Also I recently installed windows 8. I've tried all sorts of things to get it to work. Still no luck.
Relevancy 24.94%

Have a nice pair of Bluetooth headphones and trying to get them hooked up to the sound of my older TV. Is there some kind of adapter you can buy to to hook up to the audio out of the TV so I can connect the 2 via Bluetooth? I just don't wanna pay for another pair of headphones. I just want the reciever.
Relevancy 23.65%

Earlier in the WoF I said the following:

madboyv1 said:

I have a Corsair H80i in one computer, and a Prolimatech Samuel 17 in another computer CPU wise... The pump for my Arctic Accelero Hybrid for my GPU just failed last night. RIPClick to expand...

I decided to be more investigative, and opened the pump housing up, this is the horror I found:

And in the puddle of fluid that came out when I turned the pump over:

When I send power to the impeller it does freely spin (it is an induction pump). I'm thinking I can fix this sucker.

Anyone have and tips or suggestions for cleaning the system and then repriming it with fresh coolant?

A:Arctic Accelero Hybrid Repair?

Oh god... I tilted the radiator up to get more fluid out...
Relevancy 22.36%

This is my configuration:
GPU - ATI Radeon HD 5770
MONITOR 1280X1024 4:3 Ratio
CPU - AMD FX-8320
Motherboard - Asus M5A97 R2.0
RAM - Kingston HyperX 2 x 4 GB DDR3 1600 MHz
Hard Drive - Western Digital 1TB Blue SATA3
PSU - Thermaltake Smart SE 530W

Now, what should I buy:
1) New cooler - Probably the COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 EVO
2) New GPU - any good suggestions?
3) New Monitor - any good suggestions?

I'm using it for video rendering and gaming.

A:What should I change on my PC with $250?

I would not worry about the CPU because it is a decent processor. The cooler I would not worry about unless you are overclocking the CPU. If you are then yes, get the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO. It will bring the temps down a good amount over the "Stock" cooler. I would suggest getting a monitor (something with Widescreen and 1920x1080 resolution). You could probably get a decent monitor for around $100 to $150, then look at getting a better graphics card. You may have to save a little extra money for the graphics card, but it will be worth it in the end.
Relevancy 22.36%

Please somebody help me asap I tried to change the public Dns to google's one but failed to do so now I cant reverse it I clicked auto obtain IP and Dns but still cant connect to my router, I beg you somebody help me.

A:DNS change failed

I'm far from an expert on anything internet, but I had a similar experience when Verizon changed servers on me, and my router failed to track it.

I called Verizon tech support and they reconfigured the router for me while I was on the phone.

You can also try opening a command box and type, "ipconfig/release", wait a few moments and type, "ipconfig/renew" (obviously without the quotes). That will only work if the issue is with the computer, but not the router.

Don't despair though. Someone who actually knows what they're talking about could be along any minute...
Relevancy 23.22%

Error 0x4001100200001012 attempting to boot from the System Repair CD created on a Dell.

Apparently, this is specific to Dell and their Hack with DataSafe. You can use any System Repair CD generated on some other platform and it will give you access to restore your System Image. Google using that error code and you'll find lots of info. A Windows Install disk will work too.

I have a SR cd from another system and it works just fine :whew:

Don't get caught up a creek w/o a paddle - - if you plan on using a System Image to recover a system,
make sure you have the tools which will allow that image to be restored - - DON'T ASSUME!

background: I'm seeing SMART data that corroborates my laptop HD is degrading and I wanted to prove I could restore when the replacement arrives. As this Dell laptop is a pain to open up, I didn't want to go down in flames due to procedural errors or lack of familiarity. ( I'll never by another Dell )
Relevancy 21.5%

Hello all,

I use an ADSL modem for accessing Internet in my home. I think my wifi password is stolen. I wanna change it but I have a computer only in my office and use the Internet in my home by my iPhone. Is there a way to change that password with my iPhone or should I surely use a computer to do that work, please?

A:How to change the Wifi password of an ADSL modem without a computer

Hello abbasi ,
You can use your iPhone to log in the router and change the wireless settings, however this isn't usually recommended. If something goes wrong when configuring the wireless settings and you are not able to connect to the router you'll need a device that can be connected via Ethernet cable to restore the access.
If this router is supplied by your ISP you can ask them if they have remote access to it to change the password.
Hope that helps.
Relevancy 21.5%

I have a Dell Latitude D630 and the motherboard died, It's out of warrenty so I bought a Motherboard on ebay. The Bios Service Tag does not match the number on the bottom so I would like to chage it to the correct one. How can I do this?

I read about a DST CD = Dell Service Technician CD that has this option but I can't find one.

It's not a real important thing but when I use the Dell System ID application it reads the Bios Service tag and not the real system tag that Is registered to me.

A:How to change the Service Tag in a Dell Latitude D630 BIOS
Relevancy 23.65%

Here again since I have the most weird problem ever which I have never seen nor heard of before. I recently upgraded the OS on a friends computer, from Vista to 7. However now I can't seem to get the onboard ethernet adapter to work, it can't be seen in device manager nor anywhere else. I have tried to reset the bios (by removing the cmos battery) and I have also checked that the network adapter is set to 'Enabled'. Also, when I connect the cable to the ethernet port no lights go on, it doesn't give any sort of hope what so ever. The cable is ok, the "modem" is ok, and everything else seems to be in order and yet it doesn't work.

Computer in question:
HP Pavilion 6530sc
Non-default GPU and added 1Gb RAM

A:Solved: Computer doesn't recognize the network adapter

Whenever you install a new OS, always take note of the model of core system hardware like GPU, chipset, and ethernet/wifi (there are a few others that aren't as important, but nice to have updated) since those are critical to your computers core functionality.

However, a quick google search of your model yielded me with your PC's system specs. Your PC contains a Realtek RTL8201N ethernet adapter. So far I am unable to find a driver from Realtek itself and the HP driver is not Realtek, but instead nVidia nForce.

So after a bit of searching, I came across this: it seems to me that you have an old chipset from nVidia. I am not completely sure, but I think you have an ION chipset. Try installing this ION chipset driver (64 bit) ==OR== this ION chipset driver (32 bit) and tell me if it works. It should include the necessary component drivers and if it works, it means you have an ION chipset like I suspected.

Here are the specifications for your PC BTW.
Relevancy 24.08%

I have a HP 650 notebook that is in ok condition with Windows 8 OS. It uses a Ralink 3290 wireless adapter for my wi-fi needs. For the past three months, my adapter has been vanishing! I look at the indicator in my bar, and it shows no device available. I open up the Network and sharing Center and select the change adapter settings, and the only thing showing is an ethernet connection that I don't use. I can sometimes get the adapter to return by using the find and fix devices option on the search menu, but sometimes even that doesn't work. I've even been getting the "This device cannot find enough free resources (code 12)" message for the Ralink PCIe from the troubleshooter. while I did see an article on this elsewhere, I had some trouble understanding it. Can anyone help me figure out why this is happening to my laptop? Thanks for any help you can provide.

A:Vanishing Network adapter and resuorce problem

You might need to update and install the laptops chipset drivers. And also try to update the driver for your wireless adapter from the manufactures site or from the HP support page.
Relevancy 18.92%

My laptop had headphones plugged in because I was watching a film but while I was in another room my laptop was knocked onto the floor around - ft drop change mic to a HD audio headphones Realtek port? port a manager, landing on the headphones jack the wire is fine but the ports completely broken I can see cracks and its loose and everything The laptop has Realtek HD audio manager and in my experience of this program on other desktops I ve had I was able to change Realtek HD audio manager, change a mic port to a headphones port? what port does what My laptop only has a headphones port and Realtek HD audio manager, change a mic port to a headphones port? a mic port and I would like to see if I can switch the mic port to be the headphones port because I never use an external mic however in Realteks audio manager I can t find out how to do this In pictures I ve seen on the internet there is a quot Device Advanced Settings quot button as seen in this picture http www vistax com attachments ealtek-hd-audio-driver-version-hd manager jpg but my program doesn t have this Do I need to download a newer version of the software or is it just not possible to change my mic port to be my headphone port I dont mind if I have to use third party software I just want it to tide me over till I can get it sent away Thanks for suggestions greatly appretiated nbsp

A:Realtek HD audio manager, change a mic port to a headphones port?

I doubt very much if this will be possible. The mic and headphone ports are wired directly to the Audio section of the motherboard, there connections cannot be altered.

Your best bet is to get the damaged port repaired.
Relevancy 24.51%

So, I noticed when gaming my computer would give of a permanent marker type smell, I thought maybe it was just getting hot, but as the smell got stronger I decided to see what was up, my friend told me to check the fans, and low and behold, a fan had stopped moving. (Pretty sure it's a GPU fan but not positive.) So I dust it out, because there was a ton of dust in it. And now it refuses to spin. help? I have pictures of the affected fan,it's the one of the bottom right.

A:GPU fan repair

Yeah that's a GPU fan, did you build the system yourself or was it premade? Check if it's still under warranty because if it is RMAing it will be easiest.
Relevancy 33.11%

I bought an asus motherboard from new egg, and 2 of the pins in the processor socket are raised higher than the rest of them, there were also 2 pins bent in half, none of them are close to the other. has anyone heard of a board problem with spme pins longer than the others? it is not much, but very noticable. you can feel them with your finger. new egg is denying the rma, saying I caused damage. have built many rigs, definitly came out of box like this. thanks

A:Asus socket problem

Which one of the pins is raised? Here is an example of what a socket of a Z87 motherboard should look like for example:

What is the model of the motherboard? Can you provide an image?

I would try contacting ASUS directly.
Relevancy 21.93%

Hello all I have been playing around with my home network of late and noticed some surprising at least as far as I m concerned results For work I require a hardware VPN so I was using in Change routers bandwidth different with a Sonicwall TZ W as my firewall and a asus rt-n u as a access point because the TZ s wireless is pants With this my peak download rate was Mbps and upload Mbps I then bought a linksys E and flashed it with DD-WRT and used that instead of the Sonicwall as soon as I plugged it in I noticed a Mbps increase in my download rate Upload increase was neglible if any I then decided I wanted to change from having a firewall and AP to a all in one solution since there was no real need to have both so I bought a Asus RT-N U flashed it with DD-WRT Now this router is amazing Change in bandwidth with different routers and I can t rate it enough with DD-WRT it is off the charts Much to my surprise I now had a peak bandwidth of Mbps down and Mbps up which is what my ISP originally quoted me when I got the line The results from the RT-N U you could say is not surprising with it being a far superior router but the E vs a TZ I m confused somebody please enlighten me Oh and the setup on E and the Asus is Change in bandwidth with different routers identical Alastair nbsp

A:Change in bandwidth with different routers

My gut reaction is - - cudos to DD-WRT.
There are three factors for routers (especially when they get real busy):
clock speed of the processor
the code/firmware

It is well known that DD-WRT is very good (read tight/small) and that allows the hardware (cpu + memory) to perform at its best.
Relevancy 24.08%

I recently bought a powerline adapter to combat my slow wireless speeds and planned on using it for my PC and XBOX 360 when I occasionally use it. The PC install was easy, it was plug and play no problems just installed the latest MSI ethernet drivers and BAM! Wired network, no problem, but today I come home and I felt like playing some GTA Online, so I unplugged the cable from my PC and into the XBOX and it can't connect. I am using a TP-Link AV500 Nano powerline adapter and a BT Home Hub 4 router. I also made a quick video to demonstrate my problem. As mentioned in the video I can use the internet just fine on my PC, the only problem is with the XBOX. Thanks again -hopgop1 NOTE: Video uploaded to YouTube as for some reason TechSpot doesn't support .3GP so I converted it to .MP4 and it doesn't support that either =[ link

A:Powerline adapter not working on Xbox 360

Have you seen whether the powerline adapter is compatible to XBOX.
Relevancy 24.51%

I have an LG Monitor that has blown a capacitor in the ac adapter, I want to order a new one, I can only find replacment models and all the amps are different. after reading alot of forums it seems less amps is bad and more is ok.. so this is my question.. my ac adapter has these ratings....

INPUT - 100-240V- 50/60 Hz 0.7 A (0.7 A)
OUTPUT - 12 V --- 2.0 A (2.0 A)

and the one im looking at on ebay is

INPUT - 100-240V- 50/60 Hz 1.0 A
OUTPUT - 12 V --- 2.5 A

The seller claims it will work fine.. Is this true... Thank you

A:Replacing an AC adapter for a monitor

I believe it will work fine, yes. But please get another opinion before purchasing.
Relevancy 21.5%

Hi, I can't find the settings for the CPU voltage in my BIOS. I know it's a H board, but can I lower my CPU voltage? If so how?

A:Asus P8H77-V BIOS - how to change CPU voltage?

The H77 chipset does not allow you to alter CPU voltages. That can only be done on a Z77 motherboard/chipset.
Relevancy 24.08%

Hello mates,

I have a corrupted micro SD card. With huge trying I could to recover it's data using **recuva** tool, but now my files are corrupted also. They are video file with some famous extensions such as 3gp, mp4, flv, wmv, avi. My video file players are *VLC* and *Media player classic*. The *media player classic* says, "can not render the file" and *VLC* doesn't show anything.

Is there a way to repair these video files?

A:How to repair video files?

Don't think so. With the corrupted micro SD, there's no way to edit them to make them valid again - - sure hope you have another copy elsewhere (aka backups?)
Relevancy 33.54%

Hi guys I m looking for a new processor for my current desktop computer I have accepted defeat and realize my current processor isn t suitable for anymore Problem is I haven t the faintest idea where to start So I m looking for a quick recommendation I m on quite a low budget and ideally I d like to scoop something up on ebay This is my basic info via speccy Operating System MS Windows Professional -bit SP CPU Intel Core Duo E GHz C Conroe nm Technology RAM GB Dual-Channel DDR MHz - - - Motherboard ASRock G M-VS CPUSocket C Graphics DELL E FP x Hz AMD Radeon HD ASUStek Computer Inc C Hard Drives GB Western Digital WDC WD JS- NCB ATA Device SATA C This is my mobo compatability page http www asrock com mb Intel G M-VS It mentions compatibility with Intel Core Extreme Core Quad Core Duo Pentium Dual Core Celeron Dual Core Celeron supporting Penryn Quad Socket CPU Recommendation LGA - 775 Core Yorkfield and Dual Core Wolfdale processors I don t know where to start Also I don t think I m using a lot of power my PSU s output is pretty low the cpu doesn t consume a lot of power does it I mean changing it won t cause a massive change unlike the GPU or HDD Thanks for reading Hope you can help Cheers nbsp

A:CPU Recommendation - LGA 775 Socket

According to your mobo, the best you can get is a Core 2 Quad Q9650. I wouldn't spend more than $50 on this total, as your entire system is getting on in terms of age.

If you can't find the above CPU, go further down the list.
Relevancy 24.08%

Hi everyone

I have HP dv7 2015tx running windows 7 (64bit) and I have serious problem with wifi connectivity. in last few months the wifi connection started to malfunction and randomly detect and connect to hotspots. and then it stopped working completely after a while. I tried:

-reinstalling, upgrading .... the wireless driver
-using wifi dongle
-replacing the wifi card with a new one
and I found these can not help me in this issue. the same thing happened to my blutooth connectivity last year and after I reinstalled the windows it was all fixed. but this time im not planning to reinstall the windows again.
So in my point of view this problem might be fixed if I fix the way windows is detecting any wifi access !! is there any file missing in windows related to this ?!!

Please help me in this matter

A:WiFi adapter does not work on my laptop

Do you have a wifi router and that's causing you these problems
are you having issues with accessing hotspots?
Relevancy 24.08%

Basically my computer internet keeps continually dying and I have to restart it [computer] to get it working again. Every other computer's wifi connection is fine except mine. I troubleshooted and I got this message:

I then went into my device manager and it said there also that my wifi adapter was not working properly.
Curious what could be causing this? Is my wifi going bad? Virus? I stayed at a hotel and connected to their unsecure wifi two nights ago if that means anything. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!

And on a side note, I started to get this message at least two months ago every time I turned my computer on. Not sure if it's related but:

A:WiFi adapter not working properly

"I stayed at a hotel and connected to their unsecured wifi two nights ago if that means anything. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!" Have you run any anti-virus/malware scans?
Relevancy 24.51%

Hey guys. On my raid, I have two 120mm fans that are four pin females. I want to control them on my cooler-masters fan controller. In order to do this, I will need to convert the pins to three pin.

The most cost efficient way is to have the splitter first then the converter. Two cables instead of Three.

The problem I am having is that I cannot for the life of me find a male four pin to a three pin female connector.

Amazon and Ebay has failed me. (only offers 4 pin molex to three pin. Not what I need.)

Where do I find one of these cables?

A:Male 4 pin to female 3 pin fan adapter

If you are connecting them to a fan controller the fourth pin does not matter so much.

Its a PWM pin that allows your motherboard to control the speed of the fan. Since you will not be using the motherboard headers you will not need it. You can just offset the connector in the socket.

What model is your fan controller?
Relevancy 24.51%

I have a HP G70 Notebook - 32 bit operating system. This came with its usual AC adapter and every now and then my picture fades and it keeps on telling me to connect a higher rate adapter. The adapter is plugged into a surge protector extension, so is the adapter faulty or the surge protector. If I need to replace this adapter, where in England is the best place to get a good reliable one and now one of those scam ones you see on the TV?

A:AC Adapter supplied with laptop

AC adapter and every now and then my picture fades and it keeps on telling me to connect a higher rate adapter.Click to expand...

hmm; I seriously doubt that the messages is related at all to the AC Adaptor.
Relevancy 24.51%

I have a Series 9 laptop, an external Samsung Monitor 2494 LW & Samsung HDMI to VGA adapter. It was working , laptop now doesn't recognize the monitor - do the $40 adapters fail?
Relevancy 21.93%

About two days ago I was messing with my resolution in my computer whe I saw something wired that I never seen before and that was that there was some higher resolution than I change and high too Resolution can't it seen before so I set it as that Everything worked Resolution too high and can't change it fine intill I started to play swtor and when Resolution too high and can't change it I quit the game my computer screen whent blank and all it said was the resolution that my comp can hold I have a Nvidia GTX Ti I done everything I know that might solve my problem but nothing works I tried to run my computer on my onboard graphic card and it works fine and I can see everything The problem only happens when I tried to run it on my other graphic card I tried to run it on safe mode and change it through there but it still does not work I don t know if is because the graphic card is not getting enough power or something like that Can someone plese help me this problem is driving me crazy If anyone knows what to do please tell me that will really help me I have a Nvidia GTX Ti W power supply nbsp

A:Resolution too high and can't change it

First: Try changing resolution through Screen Resolution menu (Right-click on desktop)
Second: Try changing it through Nvidia Control Panel
Third: You monitor will have an auto-calibration function, accessible by the buttons under it, or any software provided by the manufacturer.
Relevancy 21.93%

I have 2 front 2 rear speaker. I have plugged in properly. But the speaker configuration doesn't change from 2 channel to 4 channel. My OS is win7 Ultimate. First,when my os was xp,it was working good and the channel was in 4 .After 7 installation,it doest change.Please Help me.
Relevancy 33.11%

I was on and one of the comments said that the Hyper 212 EVO works just fine with the 1150 socket mobo's even though it's listed as not compatible with them. Is this true?

A:Hyper 212 EVO for socket 1150?

I've not heard of any mounting differences between 1155 and 1150. I'm fairly certain I would have if there was a difference.
Relevancy 32.68%

So I'm trying to decide what mobo I want for my gaming/video ediiting pc build. I've gotten a few suggestions from people to really look towards the x79 mobo's that have the 2011 socket. They say that the 2011 should have a longer shelf life due to its support of future 6 core CPU's from intel. My question is do you guys thinks its worth getting a 2011 mobo? or should I just stick with the 1155 mobo? If you think 2011 then what 2011 mobo would you suggest? (going for a 1500 - 1700 dollar pc).

A:MOBO socket 2011 or 1155?

I think you should focus on what CPU you want to base your build around rather than the MOBO. That will make the choice for you seeing as a CPU is only compliant with certain socket types.
Relevancy 32.25%

Hi all,

So I'm upgrading my motherboard from an ASRock which has caused me nothing but problems since I got it to a MSI. They both are intel socket motherboards. My question is, how do I go about doing this? I would prefer to keep my files from my prior build but I have read that it is necessary that I reinstall my OS before I install my motherboard. I realize I can backup my PC's files and then reinstall them once I've installed the new motherboard but are there things that I should be mindful about while working on this process?

I have a lot of specific questions about this process. So maybe a step by step instruction or something like that would be a good place to start and I can see if I have questions from there.

Relevancy 22.36%

Can I change my laptop GPU? I have ASUS PRO5DIN with Intel Core2Duo T5870 2GHz and 4GB of RAM is there a way to change my GPU cuz its slow and I cant play a lot of games... My GPU is nVidia GeForce G102M ... Thx in advance ...

A:Can i change my laptop GPU?

Nikihak said:

Can I change my laptop GPU? I have ASUS PRO5DINClick to expand...

Give ASUS a call and ask what if anything they have available.

There are some Notebooks that allow GPU upgrades. Knowing which ones allow upgrades and the correct upgrades to use, is something you would need to ask the manufacturer.
Relevancy 24.51%

Hi I suddenly had a problem with my usb wireless adapter Before when it was perfectly working the driver installed for my wireless adapter was RTL Everything was working perfectly the adapter and the software quot realtek wireless lan utility quot still detects my adapter But oneday I really don t know what happened my pc just started to not recognize my adapter The quot realtek lan Adapter USB Not Wireless Working My utility quot doesn t detect my adapter The quot disable adapter quot option box is always quot checked quot and when I unchecked it nothing happens I also notice that every time I plug my usb wireless adapter a My USB Wireless Adapter Not Working pop-up icon saying quot This USB device can perform faster if you connect it to a hi-speed USB port quot which before doesn t appear every time I plug it in Also the quot Found new harware quot message appears every time I don t know what happen but I think somehow my pc is not recognizing the usb wireless adapter properly Because when I uninstalled the driver and re-installed it nothing happens When I plug my usb it still says quot found new hardware quot I tried using quot driver identifier quot to reinstall the driver and searching it on the net but I was surprised because the driver it was pointing to My USB Wireless Adapter Not Working was quot RTL u quot someting like that which installs quot RTL cu quot and not the original quot RTL quot The device ID is quot VID BDA amp PID quot My USB Wireless Adapter Not Working I tried installing the driver but the system crashes displaying a blue screen message and so I think it really was not the driver for it I really don t know what to do so if anyone can help I d really appreciate it nbsp
Relevancy 24.51%

Is there some kind of adapter I could install into my desktop to install a Proxim ORiNOCO IEEE 802.11b/g PC Card? Model: 8470-WD

I've looked online a bit already, and found nothing, so I'm beginning to think I've wasted money getting this card, when I do not currently have a laptop to run it, and know of no way to install it into a desktop.

A:ORiNOCO ieee adapter?

Something like a pcmcia adapter? I'd get a wireless adapter that can do b/g/n or g/n instead. That way, if you upgrade your router to a faster model, you would still be able to use the adapter. If you're going w/ the pcmcia adapter, check the vendor's site to see if they have driver for your OS. The one I linked doesn't say support for Win7, if that's what you use.
Relevancy 24.51%

So XP bit sp isn t detecting showing a HD attached via a USB connector Device Manager shows the device status as quot This device is working properly quot Safely Remove Hardware shows the brand name etc under a USB Mass Storage entry I tried removing UpperFilters and LowerFilters as per http support microsoft com external not adapter recognized USB New HD, - kb Because I couldn t find HKEY LOCAL MACHINE System CurrentControlSet Services USB http support microsoft com kb New HD, external USB adapter - not recognized I restarted and got told that windows had found my but needed to restart so it automatically restarted me a second time That didn t help me display a drive --- Eventually I found out how to do this My Computer - gt right click - gt Manage - gt Storage Disk Management Which started up a wizard which allowed me to partition and format the new drive Cool Looked like I could use my drive as the partitions were showing up in My Computer needing to be formatted but that s cool --- Then I had to restart the computer once or twice before I got the free time chance to put anything on the drive formatting sucked up about hours of my free time Now Device Manager shows the device status as quot This device is working properly quot However Safely Remove isn t showing the brand name of the HD anymore Disk Management doesn t show the drive either And obviously My Computer isn t mapping the drives displaying them Btw I now have this HKEY LOCAL MACHINE System CurrentControlSet Services USB and DisableSelectiveSuspend --- Kept looking on the internet Ran drivecleanup exe as per http www techspot com community t nup-and-remove-old-usb-storage-drivers Removed USB devices Removed USB hub Removed Disk devices Removed CDROM devices Removed Floppy devices Removed Storage volumes Removed Keys from registry Forgot to reboot first plugged in the USB got an empty non-brand recognition but said hardware was ready to use etc Didn t check to see if drives were found in my computer Followed much of the recommendations on that Techspot post and no dice will detail more later - blew another ish hours on it already and lost some of my write ups Including starting the malware removal stuff ran malware bytes anything but that s as far as I ve gotten on that nbsp

A:New HD, external USB adapter - not recognized

So I went and bought a new external case for the drive, and plugged it in (via USB).

Plug and play recognized it, and said new hardware found.

Safely Remove shows the brand name of the drive.
Computer Manager/Device Manager shows the brand name of the drive.

However, Computer Manager/Disk Management does not see it.
And obviously, it doesn't show up in My Computer
Relevancy 24.08%

when I turn on laptop see this black screen !

I hear windows 7 start sound and sure windows load

I test by VGA cable with another monitor and see black screen at another monitor too

I think GPU down !

Do you think same ?

what Graphic adapter I can put for Dell XPS M1530 again? ( cheaper )

Thanks a lot

A:Graphic adapter for Dell XPS M1530?

You cant replace graphics cards for laptops. But I may have a solution. I would have first thought that this was a screen issue, but when you hooked it up to another monitor that idea was gone. I get this every once and a while when a graphics drivers isnt that great. What graphics adapter do you currently have?
Relevancy 22.36%

I change CPU changed CPU a while ago from core to quad amd I broke one CPU change of the pins in the old core mother board does support new cpu ever since I have been getting a error with AMD display drivers and I kept getting checkski errors and blue screen of death did also happen prior to CPU change I reinstalled windows again from install disc and things went well I updated AMD drivers as well the computer is my sisters and she has brought it back to me the old Hard drive I think was CPU change on it s way out so I have replaced it with a brandnew one now I can t even install windows from install disc it will get from - and then the screen will go black and nothing will happen I have also had checkski blue screen CPU change and error of display drivers even though it is a brand new hard drive with nothing on it am I right in saying it might be a mother board or graphics card hardware issue if I update the bios will this help I am not sure what version of the bios to update if this is the case please see web page with mother board driver http www asrock com mb download asp Model N -S UCC amp o All or should I take the graphic card out then try and install windows with integrated graphics of the mother board I am really at a lose any help would be appreciated the main error seems to be the graphic driver display many thanks in advance steven nbsp

A:CPU change

Are you doing a clean and thorough uninstall / re-install of graphic drivers? If done incorrectly it can create all sorts of graphical anomalies.
Relevancy 33.97%

Hi everyone I have seasonic m12 620gm 620w psu so I have one 6+2 pin and one 6 pin conector and for gigabyte gtx 680 soc I need two 8pin conectors so can I find some solution for conectors also I have gtx 580 on seasonic psu so I think I can run super overclock?

A:GTX 680 socket?

Plug the 6+2-pin into one 8-pin connector. And then plug the 6-pin into the other 8-pin connector.
Relevancy 24.08%

I am running Windows bit retail on an Intel DX SO extreme mobo with i CPU and Corsair SATA SSD hard drive with GB KIngston DDR RAM The mobo comes with a module that connects to an internal USB header which runs Bluetooth and a WiFi bgn wireless adapter I had used Bluetooth without problems for some time but just recently decided to install the WiFi adapter for the first time It said it had installed successfully and showed up on Device Manager as working properly However it could not detect networks and in particular the WiFi external modem router on my other PC After exhausting all possible solutions I decided to load a bare bones installation of Windows and it installed and ran perfectly in this environment And it continued to run OK after all my various programs were loaded However as a test I uninstalled it from the fully loaded OS and then successfully reinstalled it But once detect Intel networks adapter wireless won't again it could not detect networks despite Device Manager saying it was working correctly So it seems the only way to get it to work is to load it on Windows before any other programs or updates are added and never uninstall reinstall I also had exactly the same experience on my other PC which Intel wireless adapter won't detect networks runs Vista Ultimate OEM I was using a Belkin N adapter on this OS It could only be loaded and run successfully on a bare bones installation but once running was OK even when all other programs were added Has anyone got any suggestions on how to fix this problem nbsp

A:Intel wireless adapter won't detect networks

WiFi 802.11bgn wireless adapterClick to expand...

specifically WHICH wifi device did you use? I've found some are just 'flat difficult' to make work.
Relevancy 24.08%

I ve got two monitors a Dell SE WFP and a MICROTEK c My video card is a Asus Radeon HD and I m trying to connect them using an adapter splitter cable The video card supports a HDMI DisplayPort and a DVI connector My splitter s end piece is a DVI then it goes to a VGA and another DVI The Dell is a DVI the Microtek is a VGA The with monitors adapter/splitter Trouble dual using an problem is it only picks up one monitor Here s what it looks like in the Screen Resolution As you can see it shows there s two Dells being listed If I unplug the dell on startup and let only the microtek load up Trouble using dual monitors with an adapter/splitter the screen is there but when I plug in the dell afterwards it turns off the microtek and leaves just the dell on There s no drivers available for the Microtek so it labels it as a generic nopnp monitor could that be the issue I ve tried also messing around with AMD Vision Engine Control which is my video card s software Any ideas Thanks nbsp

A:Trouble using dual monitors with an adapter/splitter

You can't display two different video feeds using a splitter. You need to buy another monitor and use two physical outputs on your graphics card.
Relevancy 24.51%

Hi, I updated my computer to Windows 7 home and now my Resolution only has 640x480 I have a Dell. model is DE051.. please help if you can.

A:Standard VGA graphics adapter

Is your PC a Demension 1100 (DE051)?

Did you update to Windows 7 64-bit operating system?

Can you remember if your graphics driver was Intel, nVidia, or Ati?
Relevancy 23.65%

New system just built a week ago:

Asus P8Z77-V Pro
i7 3770K
F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR2 DDR3-1600 8GB(4GB*2)KIT CL9 1.25V
OCZ Vector 2.5" 128GB SSD Indilinx Barefoot3 HD1237 VTR1-25SAT3-128G
Windows 8
The problem is, every 2nd or 3rd time I boot up I get a message by that white flag on the bottom right with a red X on it saying 'restart your PC to repair drive error (Important).

I have attached two screenshots at the bottom showing the messages I get within windows, then a short video of what happens when it reboots.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

A:Restart your PC to repair drive error (important)

I'm not familiar with SSDs. It is safe to run a check on it, and what software would you recommend?
Relevancy 21.5%

Anyone have a best practice for user who wants to change there password on there Windows machine (on a domain) and phone at the same time without locking there account?. Most of the time the user change his password on Windows then by the time it change it on his phone his account is lock due to the fact that the phone is trying to login with old password.

A:Best practice to change password on Windows and phone

Log out on one machine before you change your password on the other.
Log back in with new password.

This post made my brain hurt quite a lot! its like chicken Vs egg ..
Relevancy 33.54%

Look im quite on a budget atm and im just wondering what else do I need for the system that I need for the new system since my old system is still a socket 478 im switching to a phenom $44.99 $99.99 $46.99

what can I reuse from my old system this is an old Socket 478 motherboard p4S800-mx

and what will I need leftover to run the new system

A:Upgrading from Socket 478 to AM3, what can I keep?

TechGamer said:

what can I reuse from my old system this is an old Socket 478 motherboard p4S800-mxClick to expand...

ATX case and power supply (ATX power supply with 4-pin P4 connector)
two IDE drive (there is only one IDE channel for master and slave)
two Floppy drives (this board still has a floppy connector)
two PCI cards
PS2 Keyboard and Mouse
VGA monitor

TechGamer said:

and what will I need leftover to run the new systemClick to expand...

My only question is if the OS is transferable to a new motherboard. Would you be able to activate your copy of Windows? This however would be a non issue if you use Linux.
Relevancy 24.08%

I tried looking around for a solution but can't seem to find anyone with a similar issue to mine. I just bought an ASUS usb n53 wireless adapter. I was previously using a Rosewill wireless adapter just before I installed the new one and everything with my connection was fine. After I downloaded the drivers off the disc and tried to open the utility program for the adapter I get this message: Wireless Lan Control Manager has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
Not sure what I need to do at this point. Thanks in advance for the help. Just let me know any info you need for me and I'll post back asap.

A:Wireless adapter has stopped working

I tried going to the ASUS website and downloading newer versions of the utility and drivers but to no avail. I also tried turning off my anti virus software but that didnt work either.
Relevancy 24.51%

HI, Ive been tring to fix someones computer over the past week, and have ran into countless issues with it lol.

recently someone on this forum help me clean the malware off of it (we are still in the process of cleaning it up) and I noticed that the network adapter continually disables itself. I have only been able to observe this change if I let the pc sit for over 5-10 minutes, then when I come back, the internet has been severed, and I asm unable to reconnect. The only way I am able to reconnect is through a full reboot.

I tried modifying the services under regedit to automatically restart if the service is stop for some reason.

thank you for the help

A:Network adapter keeps disabling itself

Until you are declared "clean" by the Virus and Malware helpers, it is inadvisable to attempt any other repairs concurrently. It will definitely upset the helpers.
Relevancy 24.08%

Hi All,

Recently my roommate moved out and I had to get my own internet service. Prior to the change my D-Link DWA-125 was working fine. After the change I can see the network; however, I couldn't connect. I decided to re-installed the driver and now it's not picking up any network. All other wireless devices are connected. So it's not the signal. The driver is updated.

Also I tried installing another wireless usb adapter and it's the same result. While installing the driver I would get a message saying I aborted the installation and the adapter can not be found. I can see it in the "device manager". Could it be a firewall or virus program preventing it?

Your help will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

A:Wireless USB adapter isn't picking up my network

Please uninstall all the drivers and if they don't successfully uninstall all the way I recommend you downloading something called Driver Fusion from the following site:

and it will completely wipe all traces of the wireless adapters and then you will need to re-install the latest versions of the adapter drivers and see if that helps.
Relevancy 21.5%

Is there a way to choose on which wifi adapter the virtual hosted network will be created Because I am using an external USB adapter with stronger antenna but windows prefers the internal one I use both of them what makes it more difficult if not I could simply deactivate it the it will choose the external automatically any advises There could be a simple solution to my problem If to Virtual - adapter how Wi-Fi specific "hostednetwork" Wi-Fi select as a I deactivate the other adapter it Virtual Wi-Fi - how to select a specific Wi-Fi adapter as "hostednetwork" will automatically start the hosted network on the active adapter netsh wlan start hostednetwork Is Virtual Wi-Fi - how to select a specific Wi-Fi adapter as "hostednetwork" there a way Virtual Wi-Fi - how to select a specific Wi-Fi adapter as "hostednetwork" to deactivate a specific wifi adapter per batch file That would be a trick to get the hosted network on the desired adapter The script should include three steps deactivate the wifi adapter that I don t want to use as hosted network netsh wlan start hostednetwork reactivate the wifi adapter So I could simply run this script as a scheduled task on boot up or login Anyone can help me Thx nbsp
Relevancy 33.11%

I can choose between the phenom x2, x3 and x4 the dual has the highest clockrate of 2.9 and preforms better than the others in benches any thoughts ?

A:Socket S1 Phenom choice

I'm an Intel guy
Relevancy 21.93%

Please let me know I like the amd brand and cant afford much but would like to make it better if I can and if I can change it what can I put in it the mother board is a MCP61SM2MA gateway is the manufaturer bios name is phoenix-award workstation bios v6.00pg the processor is a AMD Athlon (tm) 64 Processor 4000+ the CPU id is AMD64 family 15 Model 95 stepping 3 the socket designation is a socket AM2 if you need any more let me know

A:I have an eMachines T3642 and need to know if I can change the processor

Is it this motherboard you have? If so it shows a few CPU's that are dual core you could use.
Foxconn MCP61SM2MA-ERS2H processor support

Check out the support list from Foxconn
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Brisbane 2.4GHz Socket AM2 Dual-Core Desktop Processor ADO4600IAA5DO for $28.99.

Relevancy 24.51%

UNfortunately I let a person use my EDUP Wireless USB Adapter & I believe the person removed it without using the safe to remove process or by shuting down the pc correctly. Is there "any" chance it can be repaired? I do have the CD that came with it.
I've tried reinstalling it on my pc where I've never had a problem with it in 4 years.
Needless to say I'm rather angry about it because her mother don't believe her daughter did it.

A:USB Wi-Fi repair

Well, I'm guessing it is not possible. I tried this
& although it seemed promising, it obviously didn't work.
Anybody else got any ideas?
Relevancy 55.9%

I assembled a desktop maybe years ago the board finally went South It s an ASUS P C E 478 Pentium Need source for socket or IV repair motherboard motherboard uses a Pentium IV socket CPU dual channel DDR PC RAM - has slots I ve got modules for total gb RM I m not a gamer just fool around with home video amp pictures some online Need source for Pentium IV socket 478 motherboard or repair sports watch an old tv show surf the net simple things like that It s always been plenty fast for everything I do When it happened all the lights flashed rapidly and it beeped rapidly when I tried to start it Now the switch has no effect - the board powers up as soon as power is supplied to the machine Can t force quit the machine either Nothing on the monitor at all A Need source for Pentium IV socket 478 motherboard or repair tech shop checked it and said the board is bad Sounded like they checked it by swapping cpu s RAM etc I had tried a new battery first had hoped they would test the chipset etc but doesn t sound like they did much if any of those kinds of diagnostics I do have an ASUS setup disc I got with the board when I bought it that ASUS says I can use Need source for Pentium IV socket 478 motherboard or repair to reinstall the BIOS haven t tried that yet While I was poking around inside making sure there were no loose cables or other obvious simple problems I cleaned it The CPU heat sink came off the CPU so I have to get some of the heat sink grease and reattach it before I try to start it again Assuming I do need a new board I ve found that boards that will accept that old Pent IV and my ram are scarce So far just some real cheapies on Amazon and eBay Would like to find I e a refurbished direct replacement or at least something basically comparable Or even a reputable shop that may be able to repair the board if I send it to them Would much appreciate any leads or advice The machine serves my needs and I d like to avoid the cost of a new CPU and RAM Thanks nbsp

A:Need source for Pentium IV socket 478 motherboard or repair

I see I failed to specify, but I need an ATX rather than a micro ATX. I did a quick search on the basic LGA 775 specs and the one I happened to see was a micro ATX, altho I imagine other forms were available?

If yours is an ATX, I'll very gratefully take you up on that.

You wouldn't happen to have a setup manual? I'm far from being very knowledgeable,
more of the typical "know enuf to get myself in trouble" level.

I would imagine I might be able to find and download a manual if you don't have one.

My zip is 89046, Searchlight NV. I'm here temporarily for a 2+ year solar-steam generating plant project, then RETIREMENT!!

Thanks so much!

Address removed for your safety. Note from mailpup: Give address in private "conversation" with Matthew.

I'd prefer FedEx ground, they deliver to me.

Let me know how much, throw in some extra for your packaging and time/trouble.
And how to send the money. If you do PayPal, add extra for their cut of course.
Or I can mail a Postal MO or whatever.
Not a huge rush, I can access my "civilian" email at work if I don't overdo it.
Thanks again!
Relevancy 21.93%

So here is my computer information Field Value Computer Computer TypeACPI x -based PC Mobile Operating SystemMicrosoft Windows Home Premium OS Service Pack TRIAL VERSION Internet Explorer graphics gaming change want for I my card to IE DirectX DirectX Logon Domain TRIAL VERSION Date Time - - Motherboard CPU Type DualCore Intel Core i - MHz x MBoard Name Dell Inspiron MBoard ChipsetIntel Ibex Peak H Intel Ironlake System Memory TRIAL VERSION DIMM Samsung M B CH -CH GB DDR - DDR SDRAM - - - MHz - - - MHz - - - MHz DIMM Samsung M B CH -CH TRIAL VERSION BIOS Type AMI Multimedia Audio AdapterIntel Ibex I want to change my graphics card for gaming Peak HDMI Intel Ibex Peak PCH - High Definition Audio Controller B- Audio AdapterRealtek ALC Intel Ibex Peak PCH - High Definition I want to change my graphics card for gaming Audio Controller B- Storage IDE ControllerIntel R Series Series Chipset Family port Serial ATA Storage Controller - B Disk DriveGeneric- Compact Flash USB Device Disk DriveGeneric- MS MS-Pro USB I want to change my graphics card for gaming Device Disk DriveGeneric- SD MMC USB Device Disk DriveGeneric- SM xD-Picture USB Device Disk DriveST AS ATA Device GB RPM SATA-II Optical DriveTSSTcorp DVD -RW TS-H H ATA Device SMART Hard Disks StatusOK So my budget is around and my friend told me to change my g c to or ti so im not sure if my computer support it or wat and do I need to change anything to play games such as SC D Skyrim and etc Thank you nbsp

A:I want to change my graphics card for gaming

What is your Psu?
Relevancy 21.93%

Ok so I have just ordered my computer which will arrive in a few days but I would like to change the graphics card to something more powerful when I recieve the PC My specs are Motherboard UNKNOWN that s the problem CPU AMD Bulldozer FX- -- Quad Core Hz -- Overclocked to GHz GFX Card ATI Radeon HD GB RAM GB Crucial Ballistic Mhz DDR Hard Drive GB I do not know the power supply s wattage or the motherboard as the seller did not specify these and I haven t got the PC yet I would like to replace the graphics card to either a change able graphics I card? to Am my ASUS NVIDIA GTX TI PCI-E Graphics Card Am I able to change my graphics card? - GB or SAPPHIRE AMD Radeon HD GHz Edition PCI-e Graphics Card - GB Now I am very new to gaming on computers I know how to replace the graphics card but I do not know whether it will fit in the slots or whether it is compatible for my power supply Can anybody help me out by telling my what slots Am I able to change my graphics card? the motherboard needs to have and what the minimum power supply I need for those card is so that I can change it if necessary Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Am I able to change my graphics card?

Well if the system has a 6670 in it already then the motherboard has a PCI-E slot so either the 550Ti or 7770 you picked will be compatible. You need to find the model and wattage of the PSU first though, to make sure the new GPU is getting enough power.

Just curious but why did you decide to buy that system if you were intending to change the graphics card? The mobo and PSU may be of questionable quality so you would have been better off choosing and assembling your own components.
Relevancy 21.07%

hi all got a post further down explaining lcd cable was no good so got another plugged it all on but now nothing coming on is there any button or anything i can do or is it another bad cable

A:Compaq Presario CQ61 screen LCD cable change but not working

hi all as in previous tpost further down i explained screen comes on fully when little movement of lcd cable just where it plugs to mother board so got another wire but does same thing so now know it wasnt wire so thinking what inverter or lcd backlight please help as i do not want to buy 1 then its the other is the only way finding out by buying part and testing. thanks in advance
Relevancy 24.08%

When ever I turn on my computer regardless if it's from Sleep Mode or Cold Start, it takes ages to connect to the internet (up to 5 mins sometimes). It says "Identifying" (See Attached pic)

Is this normal for others? I was thinking is the network adapter in sleep mode or something? Maybe that's why it takes a while to connect?

Any ideas appreciated,

A:Network adapter slow to connect

My built-in LAN connection typically takes a couple of seconds more or less whenever I cold start my PCs. Maybe you could try updating the driver.
Relevancy 21.93%

i have a dee optiplex gx 280 and i have 8 gb ram and a navida quatro 1 gb video card and seagate 500 gb harddrive i put in liquid cooling and a bigfoot 1gb enternet card got 2 sony dvd rewriters and the stock power supply just need to know if i can upgrade the cpu i like the pc it is working fine just would like to make it all it can be im running windows 7 ultimate and got good scores on proformance test
processor: 4.2
memory (ram): 5,2
Graphics: 5.9
Gaming graphics:4.7
primary hard drive:5.9
what would help othere then buying a new pc please help

A:Can I change my CPU without buying a new motherboard?

What's your motherboard model and what CPU do you have at the moment?

Also what do you use the PC for?
Relevancy 24.51%

My wife wants to run her hair straightener (flat iron) in the car during long trips.
Can this item pull too much juice and harm the car or battery?

A:DC to AC car adapter, can you pull too much juice?

It would depend on the power rating (wattage) of the straightener - if you pull more than about 130 - 150W through the average car wiring, either the fuse blows or the insulation starts melting/burning! (also I would suggest not running anything mightier than 100W for more than 10 minutes per session, then cooling it off a bit).
I trust that your wife won't be driving? ;-)
Relevancy 20.64%

I was running Win XP which finally failed and I was able to enter in safe mode (only, no networking) and ran all the tests I could think of. Hard drive is ok and so I attempted to repair WinXP from the installation CD. However, the PC failed to shut down and restart so I eventually force closed it. Now it won't even load past the initial black windows screen, don't even get the option of going into safe mode.

Is there any way I (or someone) could access the hard drive to retrieve the data? I guess I could reinstall the OS but don't want to do that yet as I'll definitely lose the data.

Any advice would be appreciated.

A:Win XP failed, repair failed -- can I access hard drive?

Sure, there are many ways. Depending on what you want in the end decides how to proceed.

If you have a lot of space free on the drive, you could boot off a linux dvd and create a new partition. You'd have to shrink the existing, then make a new one. Then you could just copy over the data from the old one to the new one. Then reinstall windows onto the old partition, and copy your stuff back (then delete the partition and expand the remaining to fill the rest of the space).

You can also just boot off a linux disk and copy it to a thumb drive or whatever.

Or you could remove the hard drive and place it in another computer.

Also, I'm not convinced you lose the data if you install Windows again. I'm pretty sure you can install without formatting the drive. Your programs won't work, but it shouldn't overwrite any of your data. This is a non-ideal solution though.
Relevancy 21.93%

hi !, i am running a system with intel core 2 duo processor and gigabyte motherboard. In my BIOS the first boot device is HDD, now i want to change that to CD/DVD, but i cant change them...

after entering Advanced BIOS settings -> Hard disk boot Priority [Press Enter]

but when i press enter it is showing the order, but those are disabled, i tried +, -, pu, pd but they didn't work. Does any one know the solution...?

A:How can I change my boot order

You're looking at the wrong item. Go down one line until you see "First Boot Device." Change that to the appropriate CDROM device. You can also set the second and third boot device if you wish. What you are doing now is choosing which hard drive (and hard drives only) will boot ahead of the other hard drives. So if your hard drive is selected as the second boot device, this will tell the system which hard drive to look at first. That is, if you had more than one. If you only have one hard drive, that would be unnecessary.

You may also press F12 to temporarily change the boot order for that one time only without entering the BIOS.
Relevancy 24.51%

Good afternoon and thanks in advance Last week during a weird power surge in my house my PC started having difficulties and eventually with no warning the BIOS apparently reset itself to factory defaults So for about a week I was working through figuring out a Operating system is missing error However after finally getting missing Network adapter my BIOS set back up and realizing it switched me back to IDE from RAID I got the machine working and everything seemed to be ok except now I cannot connect to the internet When I go into device manager the only Network adapter missing two Network adapters listed are the ones that were created when i installed vmware software last year Prior to the BIOS issue I had no issues what so ever connecting to my home network and even trying to install Legacy devices doesn t bring up the Realtek network adapter the MoBo came with Any Network adapter missing suggestions Long story short After my computer being out of comission for a week after getting it back on my network adapter is missing and I cannot connect to the internet Thanks nbsp

A:Network adapter missing

Try restoring default bios settings then reconfigure your raid. Or disable the net adapter at the bios then boot windows, then reenable it at bios, again check device manager.
Relevancy 24.51%

Can anybody answer the following questions about a laptop power adapter?

Is there a maximum length for the dc cord? In other words why do they locate the adapter 1/2 way down the cord instead of closer to the outlet.

Is the small cylinder around the cord about 3" before it enters the laptop some sort of choke/filter?

A:Power adapter modifications

kraftzion said:

Is there a maximum length for the dc cord? In other words why do they locate the adapter 1/2 way down the cord instead of closer to the outlet.Click to expand...

There is no particular reason for this, either side of the power supply could be lengthened or shortened.

kraftzion said:

Is the small cylinder around the cord about 3" before it enters the laptop some sort of choke/filter?Click to expand...

I'm not positive but thats what I have always thought it was.
Relevancy 24.08%

Dell desktop has a dell USB wireless adapter. System worked fine a week ago and now all of a sudden won't connect to the network.
Doesn't even attempt to get an IP.

It can see the networks in the area but can never connect. Repair doesn't work, reset TCP/IP stack didn't work. Uninstall and re-install adapter didn't work. Updated driver didn't work.

System is running XP SP3.

All the other systems in the house work fine. Router is provided by Comcast and uses WPA2.

A:Desktop with wireless adapter, cannot connect

Have you tried restarting your router?
Relevancy 21.5%

I just try to install KOMPUTERBAY 1GB DDR DIMM (184 PIN) 400Mhz PC3200 DDR400 DESKTOP MEMORY on a EMachine T3120. With 2 sticks of mem, it started beeping and it would not boot. With one stick it will boot but after a few seconds it will go to the Blue Screen of Death.

When I replaced the 512mb ram original it all went back to normal. I thought I had the wrong RAM since it look different from the old (see attached picture) but I was told I might had to do something to the BIOS. Any ideas?

A:How to change BIOS to accept new RAM on a eMachine T3120

Your're gonna have to look for a long time... It is time to change out of that eMachine into something you can learn on, and enjoy. The life expectancy of eMachines among our clients has been very short.
There isn't anybody at eMachines that can help you on this issue either.
Relevancy 24.51%

I have an old HP NC6000 which I installed Windows 7 on. I can not get the SD card slot to work. At first it wouldn't see anything when I put a card in. After installing and un- installing several drivers from HP and Microsoft, now when I put a card in it shows up as being able to eject it If I want to. It does not show up in my computer as removable storage or any thing. I noticed in devise manager there is no SD host adapter listed. There is not even a heading for SD host adapter. The card works on my other laptop which is an NC6400. Do I need to install An SD host adapter?

A:Missing SD host adapter

"I have an old HP NC6000 which I installed Windows 7"...

There is probably no Windows 7 SD host adapter driver for this old laptop. Stick with XP
Relevancy 24.51%

I need some tips on my system rebuild I am a skilled modder repairer but this is my first motherboard cpu replace I have seen many northbridge types listed when PC rebuild/repair looking for motherboards but no mention of what northbridge type the processor is when looking at it I am PC rebuild/repair NOT dropping my OS I intend to get PC rebuild/repair the mobo gpu and ram up and bring the os up before cloning it to the replacement hdd Also the mobo I am about to list states it s dual channel memory but so is my current mobo and it has four cards so which is better four or two This PC is regularly used for watching videos and movies and playing games will be switching from console gaming with bethesda games to pc permanently Trying to keep the rebuild under tops not accounting for extended warranties however Yes Reusing all stock parts that I am not replacing will be posting replacements below Only accessories I am adding are a BT dongle and Micro usb adapter for turtle beach x and using PS controller on pc No parts purchased as of yet better to be patient and plan it out that rush in and srew something up Currently running Win Vista x and I will not up to win Have found a couple aftermarket cpu coolers but unsure which would be best to use I do like the blue led on the zalman but lighting isn t important as cooling Parts Below ZALMAN CNPS MAX-B mm Long life bearing CPU Cooler Blue LED or COOLER MASTER Hyper EVO RR- E- PK-R Continuous Direct Contact mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel and AMD FM AM Intel Core i - K Sandy Bridge GHz GHz Turbo Boost LGA W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX I K ASUS ENGTX DCII DIS MD GeForce GTX Fermi MB -bit GDDR PCI Express x HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card CORSAIR Gaming Series GS W ATX V v SLI Ready CrossFire Ready PLUS Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply ASUS P Z -V PRO GEN LGA Intel Z HDMI SATA Gb s USB ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS CORSAIR Vengeance GB x GB -Pin DDR SDRAM DDR PC Desktop Memory Model CMZ GX M A C B or CORSAIR Vengeance GB x GB -Pin DDR SDRAM DDR PC Desktop Memory Model CMZ GX M A C Want to make a note I forgot I would love to get ahold of a new case if Asus has released it unsure of it s exact name but it is on the CG model desktop they announced in I have done some research and found that on a dual channel system running four sticks actually increases the latency due to increased load on the bus Solved that question SO in continuing the question strand How can I be certain that the northbridge type is the right one for processor Which Cpu heatsink will perform better fit better for this rebuild upgrade And lastly are there any compatibility issues I might have missed nbsp

A:PC rebuild/repair

If I remember correctly all Northbridge functions were consolidated in the CPUs beginning with the Sandy Bridge line so you should be good to go there.
Relevancy 33.11%

anyone here have any knowledge of water cooling the socket 771 cpu? I need to water cool a dual socket 771 mobo.

A:Water cooling socket 771

I have a supermicro server board with 2 dual core socket 771 cpu's. This is an always on server in an office and I really need to quiet it down a bunch as well as cool the beast better! idle temps are around 55C on air with Thermalright coolers.
Relevancy 21.5%

Yo, all i could think of is to use keyboard menu shortcuts blindfolded, i found instructions from this forum to do so, but only for XP SP1 and SP2, which dont seem to work, i assume because i hvae SP3

A:Accidentally disabled display adapter and can't see, safe mode or VGA mode won't work

can you revert to an old save point in system restore?
Relevancy 24.08%

Does this wireless adapter work with this motherboard? The wireless adapter uses a PCI interface but the motherboard has PCI express. If not could anyone recommend a cheap wireless adapter that is N compatible?

A:Will this wireless adapter connect to this motherboard

it has 2 pci slots, you;re good to go.
Relevancy 32.25%

So the Chaintech VNF3-250 on my secondary computer finally died after 7 or 8 years. But the other parts still work, so I'm hoping I can replace the mobo without having to replace everything attached to it.

All the places I've looked seem to have no name brands, or no name sellers, or are refurbished, or just plain out of stock forever.

A:Any place to find a decent Socket 754 AGP mobo these days?

TheBladeRoden said:

So the Chaintech VNF3-250 on my secondary computer finally died after 7 or 8 years. But the other parts still work, so I'm hoping I can replace the mobo without having to replace everything attached to it.

All the places I've looked seem to have no name brands, or no name sellers, or are refurbished, or just plain out of stock forever.Click to expand...

Should be able to find them at Geeks or Ebay. You will most likely find refurbished or used ones though!
Relevancy 24.08%

Okay so i keep having this problem where my Standard VGA graphics adapter wont run it says its up to date on updates but i want to manually find an update and update it myself but i dont know where to find it.

I have a

ASUS K53TA-BBR6 AMD A6-3400M Quad-core (1.4GHz - 2.3GHz)

please help :[

A:Standard VGA graphics adapter (Code 10)

Can you say what your PC is? Make/model ?
Which Windows version are you using?
If you are not sure exactly what the graphics are then you can download this small program to give you info about it.
You will need to visit the makers website to download the correct driver, when you have the information.
Relevancy 24.51%

can anyone help? i have an e-system 1201 laptop and i want to use an external monitor for an extended desktop, but cant seem to get it to work.

A:Standard VGA graphics adapter

There should be a Fn key that will activate the external display. Look carefully at the top row of keys for a symbol that looks like a monitor screen. Press the Fn and that key at the same time
Relevancy 24.94%

I bought this thinking I could connect a bluetooth headset, I was wrong. What purposes does this do?

A:USB Bluetooth adapter

It connects your PC to any other device that is Bluetooth enabled.
For instance, mobile phone. You use it to transfer files, (mp3 .jpg or video) to or from your devices.
Relevancy 24.08%

Hi guys, im having a huge headache due to my wireless not working.
My old adaptor broke so i hooked up wired until my new one arrived today.
It is just a belkin basic adaptor, and i installed it correctly, however it is picking up no connections at all. I tried it in my wifes PC and it works straight away picking up 6 connections.

I can see it in the network adaptors next to my LAN, it says its working. No conflicts in device manager either.

Here is a screenshot of what i am getting...

If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated

A:Wireless USB adapter not picking up connections

running (or leaving enabled) both wired and wireless frequently causes problems,
so if you're committed to WiFi, disable the wired NIC in the device manager.

you're also running IPv6, so must be on Vista or Win/7. Configurations are
easiest to manage if you disable IPv6.

Use Google and search for "disable IPv6" and follow the instructions for your system {Vista, Win/7} and disable ALL IPv6.

Reboot and try again.
Relevancy 32.68%

I have tried to increase the amount of memory my computer has but am running into some issues. It says I can use 1066/800/667/533/400 for which there are 4 slots each of which have a led light next to them. They light up in either green for good or red for not so good. Anyway I have a total of 3 2gb memory cards (PC5400) but I always seem to get a red light on which ever one I put in the third slot.... I want to get the maximum usage out of my pc but would like to fix this problem. Any clues?

XFX GeForce 8200 AMD SOCKET 940
Galaxy GT430 1gb GPX Card
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5800+ 3.0 ghz.
4gb (At the moment) pc-5400 2gb x2

A:XFX GeForce 8200 AMD socket 940 memory

As XFX has a really annoying system for hiding whatever minimal amount of info they have for this board of yours, it is hard to give you too much help.

The general specs for the GF 8200 chipset allow for easily 6 GB of RAM. If I interpret your question correctly, you are having trouble with the 3rd slot only and not the others. If so, don't use the troublesome slot and use the 4th slot. If that doesn't work either, your board is probably starting to fail, but then again, your board is probably starting to fail. It may well be time to move away from an AM2+ board to an AM3 or AM3+. You may also have to change your CPU and/or RAM but then again you may well still be able to get a compatible board such as this:

Prices are not very high and will probably only be available for the next 6 months or so as all these boards have been phased out by their makers. This is the not-so-bad news. The good news is that you will be able to use all your other parts with them.
Relevancy 16.34%

I once ran across a simple UI item that allowed me to change LOCAL CONNECTION 2 to LOCAL CONNECTION.

RESOLVED. Open Network and Sharing Center. Click on the icon for the active connection. Change THAT name.
Relevancy 24.94%

I have a fan with 4 wire pin and a fan controller with 3. I need a 4 to 3 adapter to go in between but can't seem to find one at newegg. Anyone care to steer me in the right direction? Thanks. I am not very bright sometimes and forget that people can't read my mind. What I actually need is a 4-pin PWM Male to 3-pin Female Adapter Cable

A:Fan wire adapter

Perhaps this will do the trick,
Relevancy 32.68%

Hello I have a computer with a Via P 1.8 Need a upgrade Socket for 478 a Willamette mobo VM chipset and it BLOWS for doing anything remotely tasking I wanted to Need a mobo upgrade for a Socket 478 Willamette 1.8 upgrade the motherboard to another Socket motherboard that would have a better chipset I don t want to completely rebuild it because it is my grandmother s computer and we just rebuilt another one Went from a Athlon Gigabyte Need a mobo upgrade for a Socket 478 Willamette 1.8 K NSC nForce FX MB GB DDR RAM Windows XP to Need a mobo upgrade for a Socket 478 Willamette 1.8 i - Asus P Z -V LX Sandy Bridge GTS GB GB RAM Windows -bit I m simply looking to improve the performance of that computer without changing everything in there or changing the operating system You guys got any ideas I guess I can take suggestions for a new motherboard processor memory combo that s not Socket but I need IDE and AGP I m really not trying to upgrade the HD and I don t have money to get a new dedicated GPU or PSU But then again if something can be found for around total and have an Intel processor preferred I might listen nbsp

A:Need a mobo upgrade for a Socket 478 Willamette 1.8

As I understand it, if you change the motherboard, you need to reinstall the OS anyway. If you're absolutely desperate not to do that then RAM and CPU upgrades are really the only way you can go, and even that'll be annoying, and probably cost more than investing in new hardware.
Relevancy 22.36%

If you could upgrade 1 thing in my system, what would it be?

A:What would you change about my system?

I will be getting a new PSU. I would use a 9800GT 1GB and then a HD 6950/6970.

Maybe my CPU and motherboard, and with that also my DVD Drive.
Relevancy 24.51%

my network adapter keeps "disabling" itself how can i fix this prob ... please help

A:Network adapter disabled

What is the make and model of the adapter?
Relevancy 21.07%

I wanted to know if there is a way to connect a SATA hardrive to an older motherboard that has no SATA connection

A:Adapter to connect SATA HD to motherboard with no SATA connection?

You can always use one of these PCI SATA adapter cards:

A computer as old as you're describing will likely have an old type standard PCI slot, and NOT a PCI-E (PCI express). be certain to verify which slot you have, before you make a purchase. These are two entirely different interfaces, which are not interchangeable.
Relevancy 24.51%

Hi there ive just started getting this problem with my pc,every time i try to connect to the net is closes internet explorer down,this just happened the last few days now i cant get on the net with that computer,it was doing it every now and again but now it is perminant,a message did appear saying no network devices have been found ?? also it says that i should enable my network adapter/ any suggestions will be grately appreaciated,i have tried my broadband provider and they say its not my modem,and that it is more lickly to be a IT problem.:grinthumb

A:Network adapter is missing

How are you connecting to the Internet
{cable vs dsl modem vs dial-up}?

who is your ISP?

What is the make/model of your Modem?

What is the version of Windows you are using {XP, Vista, Win7}?

The SP level of it?

The Edition { home, pro, starter, ultimate, ... }?
Relevancy 24.08%

hey guys After extensive troubleshooting and searching on my own I after stops minutes Belkin USB working a few adapter have finally given up and am hoping someone on here can help me out I recently moved my desktop to another bedroom and do not wish to route to Ethernet cable throughout the house I purchased a Belkin quot G quot USB adapter and installed the software on the Belkin USB adapter stops working after a few minutes PC It connects to the router but then goes to limited activity after about a minute Then it says there are no wireless networks My laptop works completely fine and my phone connects to my wireless network However the PC Belkin USB adapter stops working after a few minutes does not stay connected It detects all of the wireless networks my laptop does but then stops after about a minute The PC works fine if connected directly with the Ethernet cable Any ideas on why this is If you need more information let me know I have tried resetting the router and modem I also have the Belkin USB adapter stops working after a few minutes most up to date driver for the adapter Thank you in advance for your help nbsp
Relevancy 24.08%

my file system displays raw, it cannot be formatted,,
not accessible . how can i use this again?

ive searched solutions for this problem but everythng didnt worked.
ive tried the disk management method, tstdsk, chkdisk is not applicable

i also tried the easeus software, icare data recovery software, reclaimme, partition magi, killdisk, and many other recovery tools i found online.

can anyone help me what to do? pls help :dead:
thanks in advance

A:Raw flash drive, how can I repair it?

Could you tell us what flash drive you have? And how it got to be raw in the first place?

And are you sure repartitioning it doesn't work? If so then my guess is that it's probably corrupt. If you received it like this straight from the store then I would turn it back in for a refund and get a new one. Otherwise I'm curious as to how it got this way in the first place, as that may shed some light to a viable solution.

Check this too: ...vb/topic45834.html
Relevancy 21.07%

hi got a question i have a video card withe 4332mb
the problem is it Shared Memory of 2559 MB

this gives me alot of problems withe gaming and i realy would like to change this
is there a way to change the Shared Memory to dedicated memory?
this would realy help

A:Got a video card with 4332MB memory (2559MB shared). Can I change this?

Could you provide the details of your graphics card?
Relevancy 32.68%

Hi Guys

Can anyone tell me how good are Socket 775 DDR3 motherboards, because I cant find any of them from any of my local stores, and they said they were no longer being made

A:How good are Socket 775 DDR3 boards?

LGA 775 is for all intents and purposes...dead.

If you're looking for a DDR3 LGA 775 board, then your best bet is the second hand market. You're looking at/for P45/P43, X38 and X48 Intel chipsets, 750i SLI, 790i and 790 Ultra Nvidia chipsets. Some of the Intel boards are "combo" (have both DDR3 and DDR2 memory slots. You cannot use both types of memory at the same time)
There is very (very) little performance difference between DDR2 and DDR3 performance with LGA 775 unless you start heavily overclocking (DDR3-1800-2000+) -certainly not enough to go on some kind of internet pilgrimage looking for one