Windows Support Forum

Switching user problem

Q: Switching user problem

Hello,

Newbie here, I hope this is the right place for this post, if not I apologize. The problem I am having is that I tried to installed Office 2007 the other day and Outlook was unresponsive. All other office programs worked fine. I un-installed office 2007 and reloaded Office 2003. Now everything works fine when I am logged into XP. The problem is that when my wife logs into her profile, no programs work and the computer locks up and has to be rebooted. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Altron

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/switching-user-problem-156366.html
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Switching user problem

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 64.07%

Hello,

We are running XP Pro and recently a yellow window will come up when I try to switch users. It says "Attention Signal Frequency is out of Range"
H:68.6kHz
V:85.1Hz
"Please change signal timing"

And then the computer locks up.

What the heck do I do about that??

Thanks for any help,
Binkey

p.s. This website ROCKS!!!

A:Switching User problem

Thats a problem with your video adapter and it could be because the user you are trying to change to has set the video settings outside the range of the software or your monitor. Try rebooting in Safe Mode and changing the video settings for that user. If you suspect a game may have made those settings then uninstall that game. Failing that you may need to uninstall the drivers for your video adapter and then reinstall them again.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/14294/switching-user-problem/
Relevancy 64.07%

I have reinstalled widnows, but when I click switch user, it returns to the welcome screen as normal, but when I try and log into anotehr account, the screen either 1)Goes black with a flashing white cursor in the top left corner for a while before returning to the welcome screen or 2) Flashes blank and stays in the welcome screen

I Haven't got a clue what is causing this!
Appreciate any help given,
Richard John

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/switching-user-problem.203377/
Relevancy 63.64%

I log on as administrator When I try to switch to my wife s account the only other one it starts logging on but freezes It doesnt complete and the only thing you can Fast user switching problem do is ctr-alt-del and log her Fast user switching problem back off I noted that norton ghost was not loading properly so I disabled Fast user switching problem the tray icon using msconfig but the problem remains even when the tray icon doesnt load up so I think something else is the problem Has anyone had anything similar What could be causing this If I log off then log on as her it s fine - the problem is when we use the switch users command The problem I think started when I updated my via drivers after having problems with one of my sata drives I am NOT running any kind of raid array Here s my setup ghz intel msi PT neo-v board x mb ddr ram GeForce FX XT win xp pro I ve scanned for spyware degragged and eliminated viruses as the problem Give me a shout if there is any more info that you need Atrac nbsp

A:Fast user switching problem

atrac said:

I log on as administrator. When I try to switch to my wife's account (the only other one) it starts logging on but freezes. It doesnt complete, and the only thing you can do is ctr-alt-del and log her back off. I noted that norton ghost was not loading properly so I disabled the tray icon using msconfig, but the problem remains even when the tray icon doesnt load up, so I think something else is the problem. Has anyone had anything similar? What could be causing this? If I log off, then log on as her, it's fine - the problem is when we use the switch users command. The problem, I think, started when I updated my via drivers after having problems with one of my sata drives (I am NOT running any kind of raid array).

Here's my setup:
3.2ghz intel
msi PT8 neo-v board
2x512mb ddr ram
GeForce FX 5900XT
win xp pro.

I've scanned for spyware, degragged and eliminated viruses as the problem.

Give me a shout if there is any more info that you need!

Atrac.Click to expand...
Hi Atrac,

If you create a "dummy" account (just some generic local user account) log onto it once, then log off and log back on as Administrator and try to switch to the dummy account, does the same problem occur?

I only ask because it would rule out your wife's User profile as being the source of the problem.

Also, do you have Service Pack 2 installed?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/fast-user-switching-problem.422065/
Relevancy 63.64%

Hello! I have one strange problem, I am using my computer with my brother, and we are having 2 accounts on this comp, usally, we keep our profile loggen in, and often when computer is on, we both are logged in each of our user account, but problem is, that if one of us is logging of, or switching users (if both of as are in online mode) windows is logging off the one account, but after log out, it shows blank screen, computer is still running, but it just becomes freezed.. this ain't happening only if I log of my account and my bro loggs into his account and when I need to log in, he logs out and then I go to my account. I hope you understood my problem.

Relevancy 63.64%

Just got a new dell with XP Pro installed. I have to log off in order to switch users. When I try to just switch users, the welcome screen flashes to my desktop and then back to the welcome screen and won't let me do anything else until I log off the original user. I have the fast user switch active and have confirmed that the RPC, fast user switch and terminal services are on and on automatic. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

A:Switching user accounts problem

Fast User Switching won't work in every situation.

- The Welcome screen must be enabled.
- The computer must not be joined to a domain.
- Offline files must be disabled.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/switching-user-accounts-problem-369731.html
Relevancy 63.64%

Hi

Just set up a few accounts for my family on my Vista SP1 Ultimate machine: myself as Admin, rest as users. When I try and Fast Switch (or even log off from one account and try to open another) I get the correct background, but sidebar and systray don't load and, mousing over the Start button, the mouse turns to busy still indicating activity. What's going on??

Thanks
Simon

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/another-fast-user-switching-problem.766486/
Relevancy 63.64%

This is a reopening of this subject I ve read the posts in the closed thread and tried the solutions there with no luck Fast user switching quit working for me No doubt I did something to cause this but I can t switching problem user XP fast in identify it I can t switch users at all -- I have to log off one user before I can log on another I ran services msc and set Terminal Services fast user switching problem in XP to automatic it was manual but when I try to start the service I get error - Executable program that this service is configured to run in does not implement the service I set Fast User Switching service to automatic it also was manual but when I try to start the service I get error -Depending service or group failed to start Under Control Panel - gt User Accounts - gt Change the way users log on and off Fast user switching is checked However if I uncheck it and Apply it doesn t make any difference I still have to log off to switch users Any help appreciated nbsp

A:fast user switching problem in XP

Please try to follow the microsoft kb article id: 910337 and 905999 for the complete troubleshooting steps of Error 1083 and 1068.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/fast-user-switching-problem-in-xp.816214/
Relevancy 63.64%

I don't know why, but for whatever reason the "Fast User Switching" option on my computer does not seem to work. I am running XP and don't really know a ton about computers, but what happens is that I go into the control panel, check the box that says to "enable fast user switching, hit apply after, but as soon as I go back in, the box is unchecked again for no apparent reason.

A:Fast User Switching Problem

Hi,

Do either of these apply?

Only users with a computer administrator account on a computer can turn on or turn off Fast User Switching.

Fast User Switching cannot be turned off while multiple users are logged on to the computer.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/fast-user-switching-problem.626702/
Relevancy 62.78%

This problem seemed to coincide with a new monitor. I had changed some of the services, but Terminal Services and Fast User Switching are set to manual and have started. The option to switch user in the control panel is ticked.

When I go to switch user from the welcome screen, the other user begins to load and then flashes back to the welcome screen. Any ideas of how to fix this?

I also recently uninstalled Norton Security as I was having the ccApp.exe shutdown problem.

Relevancy 62.78%

Just the other day, Fast User Switching stopped working.
I get no errors, and when I check the checkbox to enable it, I go back and it is unchecked. I have went to services.msc and enable both FastUserSwitching and Terminal Services, but still, nothing works. Hopefully someone has the answer.

A:Fast User Switching Problem, still unsolved

I have looked for many hours, but all the solutions do not work. There arn't that many. It seems like this a problem that not many have fixed.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/fast-user-switching-problem-still-unsolved-392351.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Hello i run into a problem while trying to run multiple problem Windows xp fast user switching programs on different user account on my computer When i log off all programs will close but i need them to remain running when i go to change the ways users log on log off and click use fast user switching option then click apply it does not save that setting I then went to Computer admin account and tryed the same method when i clicked on enable fast user switching option a message came up saying Fast user switching is enabled on this computer Offline files cannot be enables while fast user switching is enabled I Windows xp fast user switching problem also went to Windows xp fast user switching problem services and changes the fast user switching compatibility to automatic So thats my problem it tells me how to fix it but it says its already enabled but its not will not let me run progams and switch user accounts I Dont think ill have issues with memory or processing power

A:Windows xp fast user switching problem

Don't you have the option to just switch users as this would not log a user off(which would close everything) and instead it leaves them logged on and lets you select another user. I've had several programs/internet windows up and never had any problems with them closing just from switching users. Any further details you could provide would be wonderful, like do you have the option to switch users when you hit start -> shutdown?

-bar

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/339453/windows-xp-fast-user-switching-problem/
Relevancy 57.62%

Hi Guys,

I had this issue:when the fast user switching is disabled and someone already login to the computer, I can not unlock or switch to another user to login. Only thing I can do is power off.( I don't have that user's password to unlock the computer).
Can please advise is there anyway do unlock the computer without power off?

Thank you.

Relevancy 56.76%

Hello,I got some tips a couple of months ago on tweaking your pc. I did alot of tweaks and guess what? Silly me I didnt back up the REGISTRY!!!!! I also installed Windows Transformation Pack 6. This is what happens when I try to go to Control Panel> User Accounts, and try to click the 3 tabs under "Learn About" . automation server cant create object Now these tabs have crosses next to them So I must of disabled a service or something? I can create accounts. but I gotta log out, and log in other one. I cant quickly switch over while having 2 or 3 accounts logged in at the same time. When I try to switch users, it doesn't do it. Please help!Thanks.

A:User Accounts & Fast User Switching

I believe that if the Terminal Service isn't started then fast user switching isn't available.To start the Terminal Service, go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools and click on Services. Right click on Terminal Service and select Properties. Make sure the startup type is set to Automatic.Also, see this Microsoft article on fast user switiching.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/100701/user-accounts-fast-user-switching/
Relevancy 54.61%

The title sums up my problem pretty well. I used to have a problem with switching user, my computer didn't respond after clicking 'switch user.'
I searched for a thread about that problem on this site and solved it instantly.
However, after switching user, the computer now returns back to the Windows XP main log-on screen as it's supposed to, but when trying to log onto a different user, the computer almost refreshes the screen and comes straight back to the log-on screen. The only user that has access to the computer at this point is the user that switched user originally. Any ideas on how this could be fixed?

Relevancy 52.46%

Hi somehow my pc went to admin user and everything changed, when i try to switch user my old name is gone, when i try to create that name it says its there? when i went to sytem/ user profiles top one is admin and second is mine 2.1 gigs and admins is 1.54 mb/ is there a way to get back my settings or fix this thanks, windows xp pro i am running

A:switching user

It sound like there might be some profile corruption. I don't know how? You can try creating a new profile or try renaming your old profile.

Right click on my computer- manage - Local users and groups-

Click (next to File) Action - new user- and create a new user.

You can also rename the old profile name here too.

If this is what you need you could always try a system restore.

-

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/231339/switching-user/
Relevancy 52.46%

Witching between a user and another,

In windows 8, it appears that we have one option to switch from a user to another which is ?sign out?. The ?sign out? will be closing all the application open.

I?m wondering if there is an option in the windows 8 such that one can switch from a user to another but to keep applications open.

Thank you

Best

Jamal

A:Switching between a user and another

If you choose the Lock option your account will remain signed on.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/37534-switching-between-user-another.html
Relevancy 52.46%

running xp hpme sp1

helo every body i use the pc a lot and my wife( not very) however she used it yesterday and all ok however ive just gone on to check her email and the screen is just basic blue backgrouund and all icons are very small and the surcuity icons in the system stay dont appear nore does her fast links in the bottom left like her email etc. nore when you click start does she have anything in the most used columb in the left.. can open all her desc top icons ok....any ideas??????????

A:switching user

fixed dont what she done but did system restore to yesterday and all ok

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/switching-user.206435/
Relevancy 52.46%

I have a little problem. Whenever I use the switch user command instead of logging off then changing accounts, when the second one is loading, my computer just freezes up. I did a system rollback, used the services tools (manual & automatic), neither worked, and everytime I try to go in, it freezes up, no message, I can move the mouse, and sometimes click something that will activate maybe 2 min later, but the hourglass never goes away. Can anyone give me some help please?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/user-switching-help-29166.html
Relevancy 52.03%

Hello

My computer is not switching users.. When I click the Switch user button. nothing happens??

How can i fix this or is there a batch file to switch users?

Thanks

A:Solved: Not switching user

This can be caused by any number of things. This may do the trick:

Disable Fast User Switching, then log off and log on as a limited user. Did anything happen?

If logon happened as normal: log off, then back on as an administrator. Click Start > Run > type in services.msc and press Enter.

In the list, double-click Terminal Services.
In Startup type, select Automatic, click the Start button then click OK.
Re-enable Fast User Switching then restart the computer.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-not-switching-user.850905/
Relevancy 52.03%

I have two logins setup for my laptop, one for work and one for home. I would like to be able to switch faster between both of them without having to jump through the hoops to switch users. i was reading that at one point during the development stages, that windows+spacebar toggled between logged in accounts. Is it possible to do something like this so when i want to check my email at work, i can just switch over to the other login with a quick keyboard shortcut, and then back again?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

A:Faster user switching?

Hi Justinc,

The Windows + Spacebar does not work in Vista. The only way that I know of to speed things up is to remove the passwords for the accounts, but this is not a safe thing to do for security purposes.

You can also add a Lock Computer shortcut icon for your desktop. It is the same as Lock in the Start menu. Lock as a Switch User option when you click on it.
How to Create a Lock Computer Shortcut in Vista

Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/91058-faster-user-switching.html
Relevancy 52.03%

I've never needed a nd account until my partners laptop died I've noticed however that Win 's implementation of it is worse than previous versions of Windows Firstly when switching user which as far as I know can only be done with ctrl alt del the screen will react oddly If I switch from mine to hers and then back Chrome will be on my nd Issues user. with switching screen and explorer windows and apps open on the nd screen will be on the first Sometimes it also puts everything including desktop icons on Issues with switching user. the st screen as if I disconnected the nd screen It is very frustrating if Issues with switching user. I have folders and icons on my nd screen in the way I want to see them and switching accounts will bring everything to the st screen Any solutions to this Or reasons behind it Another issue although not a major one is when logging off I have a green lockscreen set for my profile same as my partner This as the name suggests should be the lock screen But if I log out of either account I get to a lockscreen which uses this wallpaper It also has a purple scheme rather than the red we both use I've tried to find in the setttings a way to change this But I can't

A:Issues with switching user.

Hello Darkstarr, and welcome to Eight Forums.

The tutorial below includes some other ways to switch users to help.
Lock, Log off, Restart, Shut Down, Switch User - Windows 8
It could be a video driver issue causing the displays to be reset and all windows to go to the main display instead of how they were.

In Windows 8 and 8.1 there are two "Lock" screens.

The user lock screen is the one that displays when a user locks the PC while still signed in to Windows, and when the user is selected on the sign in screen, times out, and returns to the lock screen. Each user is able to change their lock screen background image to an image of their choice.The default Lock screen image is the one that displays when there are no users currently signed in to Windows or selected on the sign in screen.

Lock Screen Default Background Image - Change in Windows 8

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/51224-issues-switching-user.html
Relevancy 52.03%

I have a problem with Fast User Switching. When I click it from the start menu, if I do it very soon after I log on it seems to work, but then if I do it (even if I don't touch the computer or open any other programs), it stops working after a few mins.

I usually activate Fast User Switching by using the keyboard shortcut WINKEY + L if this helps.

I have tried disabling fast user switching, and found that the Lock Computer option DOES work. Re-enabling fast user swithcing makes the problem occur again.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-fast-user-switching.396691/
Relevancy 52.03%

Hello

I have only one account on my windows 7, and today when i tried to resume windows, i accidently clicked on "switch user" instead of clicking on the user name. Now when i try to turn on my computer, the whole process of turning on Windows repeats all the time but it doesn't want to go to my account.

Please help,
Thank you

A:user switching on windows 7

Hi Simona... Welcome to SevenForums. Take a look at this link Fast User Switching . It will show you how to disable switch user.

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/278684-user-switching-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 52.03%

Until this last weekend, the four users on my Windows XP system could switch back and forth with no trouble.

Now no one can switch. We need to log out and come back in under the desired user.

A:User switching malfunction

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

restore fast user switching, try the reg fix there

line 34 left hand side

or read here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279765

joan

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-switching-malfunction.714168/
Relevancy 52.03%

Computer remains stable in the first user selected after booting.
After switching to another user, BSOD happens after a few minutes, even when (apparently) no user programs are being run. Most recent case - switched user - a few minutes using Quicken 2004, program closed OK, when I looked at the screen after a few moments, BSOD.
I booted up, straight into Windows, system has been OK for 24 hours plus...
Advice will be welcome

A:BSOD after switching User

Hi Vaughan65.

Checked the crash dump, and it does not indicate anything specific.

As it is not causing any more problem, it might be considered as just a glitch and can be negleted for the time being. If the BSODs continue to occur, then take it seriously.

BTW, during last December some BSODs were caused by NetgearUDSMBus.sys, Netgear NetUSB MasterBus. Try to update it. Also update ASMedia XHCI Controller.

If the BSODs continue to occur, upload the crash dumps.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/322170-bsod-after-switching-user.html
Relevancy 52.03%

Every time I try to set my computer back to fast user switching I get an error telling me that because of a recent installation fast user switching will no longer function. It also gives me msgina.dll as an assist to track down the problem. The only msgina.dll file I've found is a system file for wxp media center edition. Any clues as to how I can fix this problem would be awesome. Thank you all.

A:Fast User Switching

I've recently seen some problems with the msgina file that relate to a router. Do you have a router, and if so, what kind?

As I recall there wasn't much of a solution for it short of uninstalling the router.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/71315/fast-user-switching/
Relevancy 52.03%

The option for fast user switching dis-appeared from the shutdown, logon/logoff menu. How do I replace that option in to the menu of options listed there?

A:fast user switching

I would first recommend uninstalling your current video drivers as they may have become corrupted. Then install the latest version available from the manufacturer of the video chipset (ATI, nVidia, Intel, etc).

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/190294/fast-user-switching/
Relevancy 52.03%

Fast user switching used to work on our XP Home system, but now it does not. When logging off, the button appears, but nothing happens when I click. 'Start-L' locks the computer. I check the setting for user accounts, but each time I go back it is turned off again. I checked the offline files stuff and it's fine.

There was a similar thread with no conclusion:
http://techsupportforum.com/showthread.php?t=56719

Thanks in advance.

A:user switching disables itself

Maybe the Fast User Switching Service is screwed up.

Go Start>Run>type "services.msc" w/o quotes. Find Fast User Switching Service. It should be set to Automatic. If it is, stop the service if it is running, then restart it. If it is stopped, start it.

Hope it helps
BMR777

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/user-switching-disables-itself-71431.html
Relevancy 52.03%

hi i have had this problem since installing the new nvidia drivers for my system and also since installing the Alienguise Theme Suite.

MY logon screen automatically chaged to classic logon when i installed these apps. and i cant change it back. when i try to change this in user accounts. a error window comes up telling me that i must uninstall an application that has recently disabled this feature. it tells me that a file related to this application which is responsible for this is called RtlGina2.dll

anyone able to help me sort this out?
Kind Regards, Veraedon

Hi...

have you tried searching for that file on your pc...rtlgina2.dll? Its location may give you more of a clue on how to fix it.

Also, have a look in services.msc to make sure the Fast User Switching service is set to automatic or manual and is running.

Hope that helps :-)

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/fast-user-switching-100594.html
Relevancy 52.03%

As the title stated When I want BSOD user switching when to switch from an admin BSOD when switching user account to another one either from the start panel or the log-on screen I often get a BSOD sometimes when I'm lucky I don't get it but most of the time I'm getting a BSOD after I click quot switch user quot I bought this Dell back in January which came with a Vista Home Premium x and I upgraded it in November to windows professional x I had been using the SP RC since the upgrade until last week when I uninstalled it and updated to SP this week I hadn't got any problem when I first installed Windows don't know when it started having the problem but it is certain that the problem started before I updated to SP BSOD when switching user this week No re-installation done I hope someone could kindly help me resolve the problem Thank you I have attached the zip file needed Regards shutdo EDIT minidump enabled updated zip file

A:BSOD when switching user

There are no minidump file within that zip file, can you follow these instructions and reupload your dump files: http://www.sevenforums.com/crashes-d...tructions.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/151640-bsod-when-switching-user.html
Relevancy 52.03%

I bought a used Dell Computer with Windows XP Pro installed. I tried changing the user login view to the fast user switching option, but when I tried to do so, the box was grayed out and I got the following error message:

"A recently installed program has disabled the welcome screen and fast user switching. To restore these features, you must uninstall the program. The following file name might help you identify the program that made the change: MSGINALL."

How can I fix this problem?

*** mod edit, turned off smiles ***

the fix is here...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836683

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/fast-user-switching.515050/
Relevancy 52.03%

i have recently been having a fair few issues on Windows 7, and just created a new admin account to fix a problem, and found that on this new account, many of the problems i had been experiencing are not present so i am wandering; can i somehow transfer everying other than my settings from my problematic original account to this new functioning one? including programs, files, etc?
i usually use a mac and am relatively new to windows 7, so please explain it simply if its possible
thanks a lot for any help!

A:Switching everything to a new user account

If you attempt to migrate all of your program settings you could potentially find that you migrate the problems as well. Switching things to the new account however:

Programs typically do not need to be transferred at all. They are installed independently of any single user, stored in the program files folder. At most you will have to create a shortcut to the programs you need on the desktop of your new user account.

Files: Files should be simple enough to transfer. Simply open the documents folder for the old and new users and move them across. Likewise for music, movies, and pictures desktop. These folders are all located in C:\Users\Old User Name\

However you won't have permission to access the files of the old user account. Ideally Windows will tell you that you don't have access and give you a button (with a blue and yellow checked shield) to get such permissions. If it doesn't then you could try this library article for instructions, but I'm afraid it isn't yet complete.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/switching-everything-to-a-new-user-account.966405/
Relevancy 52.03%

So the issue I'm having here is that my user accounts have sort of switched themselves. To clarify, my Administrator account had a password, my other user account did not. I woke up to find that the Administrator account no longer had a password, and the user account was now passworded with the administrator's! Now I can assure you that nobody is playing a practical joke, because I am the ONLY person who knows the Administrator password, therefore there is no way anyone else could set that exact password for the user account.

What in the world would cause this to happen? It was easy to fix, I just removed the password from the user account and re-set it on the Administrator one. However, I'd like for this to not happen any more, for obvious security reasons. What's the dealio?

A:UAC switching the user's passwords?

Never heard of that happening before...

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/202250-uac-switching-users-passwords.html
Relevancy 52.03%

Alright, this is my second time coming back to you guys because the first time we didnt get this solved, so heres my issue.

On a clean restart, the first person to log in can log-in fine. But once they switch users, the next user to sign on will click their name, and then the background of the first person who logged in flashes, then it goes back to the login menu. only the first person who logged in can keep going on without logging off, or restarting the computer. the only way another person can access the computer is to log off the first person, or restart the computer.

hope i can get this fixed!

A:fast user switching

hmm, weird..do you have your XP cd? i would just re-install windows..most likely would fix the problem your having

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/fast-user-switching-152340.html
Relevancy 52.03%

Hi All.

I need a little help.
I have fast user switching enabled - I am not on a domain just network within my house for shared internet connection.
I have been trying to use the fast switching, since reinstalling windows XP media center 2005.

What happens: When I try to log on to an account, the screen flickers and goes back to the welcome screen.
I need to physically log off account before I can access the other account.
Also, windows updates are not working for me - when I try to update some of them, fail automatically.
I have repairs and reinstalled windows a few times now.

Anyone got any suggestions or help?

Thanks
Paulaboo2

Hello paulaboo2,If you performed a Repair Installation, you may be experiencing the problem described in the following posts:http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=627033http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=654151

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/130590/fast-user-switching/
Relevancy 52.03%

this is my first time to the forum and i just gott o say that iam not clued up on pc lol. ok i used xp for 5 yrs and now i have just bought a new pc with windows vista home premium, 32 bit operating system.

the problem i have got is with user accounts, i have admin account for me and 2 other accounts for my daughters but say for instance my daughter wishes to go onto her account wen either of us come to switch user it lets us but then when she goes to sign in to hers it just comes a blue screen with a little swirl in the midle but it wont let her log on, same goes for my other daughter.
they av to shut the pc down then restart it to get on to there accounts, i would b very gratefull for any help on this matter.

THANK you IAN27766

A:switching user problems, needs help plz

Hello ian27766,

Welcome to the forums.

Have your daughters ever gotten logged in to their accounts? The first time they log on, Windows will take a little time to build the desktop, etc. Shouldn't take too long though. Are they able to log in from boot up?

Gary

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/181085-switching-user-problems-needs-help-plz.html
Relevancy 52.03%

I only have one "user" account set up on my computer.....when i switched to safe mode the "admin" user option is there, so I clicked on it and low n behold all the setting I had on my computer before I messed it up are there. The problem is once I swich back to reg. mode there is only one user account, how do I get that admin. account as my main account so that I can have all of my orginal settings back before I messed it up?

A:Switching To User Admin.

I'm sorry, but in XP the "Admin" account is only available in Safe Mode (a user account can have admin privileges, but this is not the same as the "Admin" account).

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/108106/switching-to-user-admin/
Relevancy 52.03%

Ok so I did a few googles and tried a few things but didn t get anything I don t usually require it but in Why switching XP? do user I can't fast when my mother comes to visit she often wants to use the computer so Why can't I do fast user switching in XP? it is alot simpler to give her a guest account than having to stash all my ahem questionable material inc bookmarks google sentence finishing thingy cookies yadda yadda Last time she came I just used a different profile for firefox but I want the guest thing just to be safe as I also have a cluttered desktop with stuff I would preferably not have to sift through and hide Can I still just have admin as the one i use passworded and the guest Why can't I do fast user switching in XP? one unpassworded I read that you should have yet another one for user switching Anyhow I also tried making another login account for myself and that didn t work either The problem was firstly that it would not stop at the Why can't I do fast user switching in XP? welcome screen and go right into my account I sort of fixed that by making a password for my account but it wasn t working right still When logging it came up with the windows bell thing and a box which would disappear I thought it had hung each time until I figured out I could alt-tab back to this box which informed me I could not log on with such and such password and then it takes me to the welcome screen where I can then logon Anyway that sort of fixes the logging thing but still I don t get the fast user switching option It will be very tedious and pointless having to restart the computer each time such that my mother would get exasperated and instead seek to use my account and insodoing uncover my various naughties I ve tried the obvious things of enable fast user switching but it doesn t do anything If I go to shut down I don t have that option at all Where the fast switch thing should be there is just the reset button Any ideas nbsp

A:Why can't I do fast user switching in XP?

Go to Control Panel > User Accounts > Change the way users log on or off. Choose "Use Fast User Switching" there.

Also make sure you have the service "Fast User Switching Compatibility" set to Automatic.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/why-cant-i-do-fast-user-switching-in-xp.955823/
Relevancy 52.03%

when i try to switch user accounts. i go to the start menu press log off then switch user. then i click on the account i want to log into and it just refreshes the page and takes me back to the choices of accounts to log into. i have to log out completely before i can access another account. and i have the fast user switching so i cant understand why?? anyone know??

A:switching user accounts

Hello gemma6689,

Go to the following site and run #34

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Hope this helps

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/switching-user-accounts-352957.html
Relevancy 52.03%

Is there a way to get rid of the screen that comes up when I type Win/L?

That's the one with the current user avatar and a Switch User button, it seems to serve no useful purpose, wasn't there on XP

Is there some way of making the User Account avatars more like those on XP?

I have week eyesight and I can't discern which avatar has focus when I use arrow keys, so I have to use the mouse. On XP it was much more obvious which UA had focus.

Is there some way to show the mail and process counts?

I found them useful on XP

---

As far as I know, there isn't an 'XP version' of the locked screen. You can set it up to show a 'Press Ctrl+Alt+Del' screen though, if that'll do for you?

However, once you've press Ctrl+Alt+Del, it just shows you the current log-on screen.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/172687-fast-user-switching.html
Relevancy 52.03%

I Need help to fix fast user switching on windows xp

A:Fast User Switching!

What's wrong with it?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/59610/fast-user-switching/
Relevancy 52.03%

Im havin a problem with my mums pc, for some reason it wont allow the log off-switch user. Ive been to user account in control panel and ticked the 'use fast user swithing' but when i choose apply options it wont save it. im takin a guess at it bein another setting or registry entry. Anyone got any ideas??

A:Fast user switching (log off)

Start->Run-> services.msc
Maximize the Services window
Scroll down to Terminal Services
Double click on Terminal Services
Change Startup Type to Automatic
Then start it
Apply, ok, then close Services window

Now try user accounts logon settings again

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/fast-user-switching-log-off.113488/
Relevancy 52.03%

I've recently started noticing on both my work (XP Pro) and my home (XP Home) computers that whenever I leave the computer alone for ~5-10 minutes, the systems automatically take me to user sign-in screen. On both computers, I have up-to-date everything: anti-spyware, anti-virus, firewall - the works. The only thing that comes to mind is that the problem started about the same time, ~2 weeks ago.

I assume this is the unfortunate result of some new Windows update. I've searched all the settings I could find about the Switch User, Log Off, Power Settings, User Accounts, etc for any clue as to what could be the root of this issue and how to change it, but to no avail.

Any information would be enormously appreciated, both what this is and how to fix it; and of course anything else deemed pertinent would also be very helpful. Thank you for your time!

A:XP User-Switching acting up

It is an auto logoff feature, which should be controlled by Winexit.scr Screen Saver, for details see: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q314999

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-user-switching-acting-up.465371/
Relevancy 51.6%

We are in a domain environment.
We want to disable "Fast User Switching" on our Windows 7 client machines.
We know how to do that, but how do you log off a user who has locked the machine AND the machine has "Fast User Switching" enabled.
We are administrators on the local machine but don?t know how to log off the user.
In XP you could just put in your admin credentials and log the user off.
We only want 1 user at a time to log on the the client machines but also need to be able to log them off if we need to service the machine.

A:Log off user with "Fast User Switching" enabled

Quote: Originally Posted by kenboy

We are in a domain environment.
We want to disable "Fast User Switching" on our Windows 7 client machines.
We know how to do that, but how do you log off a user who has locked the machine AND the machine has "Fast User Switching" enabled.
We are administrators on the local machine but don?t know how to log off the user.
In XP you could just put in your admin credentials and log the user off.
We only want 1 user at a time to log on the the client machines but also need to be able to log them off if we need to service the machine.

Surely you can log them off from the server.

You could create a hidden admin account and use those credentials

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/78714-log-off-user-fast-user-switching-enabled.html
Relevancy 51.6%

I am using XP Pro (Corporate edition I believe) and wish to enable fast user switching. However, whenever I go into the options to do so, it automatically changes back after I push apply settings. I have turned offline files off. Any help? Thanks.

A:I cannot enable fast user switching.

It may be a network client or service that's installed. For instance at work I use Novell, so all pc's have the Novell client installed, which blocks Windows from using the welcome screen and the fast user switching.

do you really need it? past experience is that you end up with several people left logged on, and a pc that's running quite a bit slower as a result...

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/i-cannot-enable-fast-user-switching-56719.html
Relevancy 51.6%

hello to all..i am new here but have found this site very helpful and i want to thank you in advance for any info regarding my problem. this problem is really affecting my friends pc which is running win xp home on a compact laptop, he has spyware sheriff malware on his pc and after using SMITFRAUDFIX his fast user switching ability started to malfunction...where he now has to log off before another user can get in...any help with this problem will be appreciated Mod Edit: Topic moved to more appropriate forum ~ Animal

A:Can't Use Fast User Switching After Using Smitfraudfix

I have not heard of the smitfraudfix causing this type of problem so it may be something else.Go to Start > Run and type: services.mscIn the Services Window that opens, scroll down to "FastUser Switching Compatibility" and try activating the service manually again.If that does not work, then check the registry. This may require making changes in the registry. Always back up your registry before making any changes. If you are not familiar with working in the registry, then you should NOT attempt to do this on your own. Improper changes to the registry could adversely affect your computer and render it inoperable.Go to Start > Run and type: regeditNavigate to:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\AllowMultipleTSSessionsMake sure the Value Data is set to 1Value Data: (0 = Disable Fast User Switching, 1= Enable)If that does not work, then chances are malware still exists on your machine and may be responsible. If that's the case its time to have a deeper look as to what's going on with your system by creating a hijackthis log. This will help us to identify and remove the malware files responsible for your problems.Please read and follow all instructions in the pinned topic titled Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log.When you have done that, post a log in the HijackThis Logs and Analysis Forum, not here, for assistance by the HJT Team Experts.It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are very busy. Please be patient as they are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have no replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response, a team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/53705/cant-use-fast-user-switching-after-using-smitfraudfix/
Relevancy 51.6%

hi i seem to have a nasty virus or spyware on my comp.... i caught my comp switching from comp administrator witch is me over to guest account after i was afk for a long period of time. freaked out i snatched the wire from my modem and started running antivirus software norton / microsoft sec. ess. and followed up wit hitman pro. all programs found Backdoor:Win32/Cycbot.G / Backdoor:Win32/cycbot.B and PWS:Win32/Fareit.gen!C ... each program said they removed them when i restarted my comp and reconnected my modem they all seemed to show back up. ran the softwares again and they found them again this time in the system restore volume info and they deleted them. i looked at my netstat -an in cmd and still see alot of ap addreses there how can i tell witch are legit and witch are intruders?

A:comp switching user accounts

Hello and welcome to TSF.

We want all our members to perform the steps outlined in the link given below, before posting for assistance. There's a sticky at the top of this forum, and
Quote:

Having problems with spyware and pop-ups? First Steps

a link at the top of each page.

Please follow our pre-posting process outlined below.
NEW INSTRUCTIONS - Read This Before Posting For Malware Removal Help - Tech Support Forum

After running through all the steps, you shall have a proper set of logs. Please post them in a new topic, as this one shall be closed.

If you have trouble with one of the steps, simply move on to the next one, and make note of it in your reply.

Please note that the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help forum is extremely busy, and it may take a while to receive a reply.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f100/comp-switching-user-accounts-616083.html
Relevancy 51.6%

When switching users, the display on my PC often goes blank for 8-9 seconds.Perhaps the video adapter or operating system is determining whether to change display settings. I can find no reference to others having this problem.

Interestingly, switching from a user to the same user doesn't cause the delay. The various users of this PC all use the same display resolution, so I don't see why switching between users should be slower than switching from a user to the same user.

The hardware configuration of the PC is listed here.

I'd appreciate it if anyone has a reference to others experiencing this problem as much web searching has turned up nothing. Instead of randomly upgrading drivers etc., I'd like to understand the likely cause.

Thanks

Glyn

Relevancy 51.6%

Hello,

When I try, on Windows XP, to switch user (between 2 administrator accounts) going through run – close session – switch account (or something like this, my OS is not in English), I get a black screen from which I cannot exit without starting again my computer. If I close the first session before opening the second one, it’s OK. This problem came after installing SP3, but I cannot restore because the system tells me nothing has been changed.

Thank you for your help,
fuzzsytone

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-screen-when-switching-user.711517/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi,

My comupter has of it's own accord disabled fast user switching and changed the welcome screen. If i try and change it back i get the following error message:

A recently installed programme has disabled the welcome screen and fast user switching. To restore this feature you must uninstall the programme. The following file name may help you identify the program that made the change: C:\WINDOWS\System32\BCMlogon.dll

I have no idea what may have been installed (I haven't installed anything, and my McAfee and Adaware haven't picked anything up).

Can anyone help me?

A:Fast User Switching has disabled

Well I've never encountered this problem myself, but after a little research there are a couple of possible solutions: (attempt these solutions in order, they go from least intrusive, to most intrusive)

1). IF you have a BroadCom wireless network card and have it set to Manage your wireless settings & Authenticate prior to Windows Login.

Simply right-click on the utility in your Task Manager and click Open Utility.

Click on Wireless Networks, and click on Properties for each Preferred Network.

Ensure that "Authenticate prior to Windows Login" is unchecked.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If that does not work:

2). * Click Start, Run and type REGEDIT
* Navigate to the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows NT \ CurrentVersion \ Winlogon
* Backup the key by exporting to a file.
* In the right pane, right-click GinaDLL, and then click Delete. (You need to remove the whole value, not just its Value Data)
* Close Registry Editor

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/fast-user-switching-has-disabled-220021.html
Relevancy 51.6%

On a friends PC... rather new. When switching between users (without password and wth accounts) - the system doesn't accept ANY password as correct.

Start with User A = okay.
Fast Switch to user B = okay - do a bit of web browsing

Fast Switch to user A = "password field" is there for account withot password... nothing works. And can't log-onto User B as XP-MCE refuses to accept any form of password.

SP2 - latest patchs for OS and Office2003. AVG 8.0 and ZA installed.

Note: I had to go leave... earlier, the new Multifunction would PRINT, but not scan to the PC... I saw another error later in which XP re-detected the Multifunction HP... I had seconds, but unplugged the printer from the PC.... and while I was still there, I didn't get that problem. That was yesterday, so I may get a call later today about it.... Anyone see such a strange thing?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/strange-xp-locked-out-during-user-switching.708294/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hello All,

I have noticed some "interesting" changes after changing to Visa but one is becoming a little tiresome.

When switching user in XP, things used to continue in the "background". One obvious example is downloading however, I have noticed then when switching user in Vista (Home prem) these sorts of tasks appear to hang.

Am I missing a trick?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

J

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/141967-background-tasks-after-switching-user.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi
Just upgraded to Vista Ultimat on my note book. Loving it so fare. My girlfriend uses it to, and when I switch user my internet connection is droped. I never used to have that problem in Win Xp. I have a USB Broadband Modem.
Can any body help with a fix so that I do have to dail up every time I change user....

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/154836-switching-user-internet-connection.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Ok so I did a few googles and tried a few things but didn't get anything I don't usually require it but when my mother comes to visit she often wants to use the computer so it is alot simpler to give her a guest account than having to stash all my ahem questionable material inc bookmarks google sentence finishing thingy cookies yadda yadda Last time she came I just used a different profile for firefox but I want the guest thing just to be safe as I also have a cluttered desktop with stuff I would preferably not have to sift through and hide Can I still just have admin as the one i use passworded and the guest one unpassworded I read that you should have yet another one for user switching Anyhow I also tried making another login account for myself and that didn't work either The problem was firstly that it user in switching can't do fast I Why [SOLVED] XP? would not stop at the welcome screen and go right into my account I sort of fixed that by making a password for my account but it wasn't working right still When logging it came up with the windows bell thing and a box which would disappear I thought it had hung each time until I figured out I could alt-tab back to this box which informed me I could not log on with such and such password and then it takes me to the welcome screen where I can then logon Anyway that sort of fixes the logging thing but still I don't get the fast user switching option It will be very tedious and pointless having to restart the computer each time such that my mother would get exasperated and instead seek to use my account and insodoing uncover my various [SOLVED] Why can't I do fast user switching in XP? naughties I've tried the obvious things of enable fast user switching but it doesn't do anything If I go to shut down I don't have that option at all Where the fast switch thing should be there is just the reset button Any ideas

A:[SOLVED] Why can't I do fast user switching in XP?

Switch User is on the Log Off menu, not the Shut down/Turn off computer menu. Do you have the Log Off button on the start menu? It may have been disabled.

To stop the auto logon to your account:
Disable Autologon

Click Start | Run (or press WinKey+R), type control userpasswords2, press Enter
Check the Box Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer.
(If already checked, uncheck it, click Apply, then check it)
Click OK

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-why-cant-i-do-fast-user-switching-in-xp-521296.html
Relevancy 51.6%

I use After Sec) Pause Switching (35 User Taskbar fast user switching frequently But recently every time I switch to my particular user it takes approximately seconds before the task bar is usable and the system tray is displayed Running programs are usable during this time and alt-tab also works Of users on this PC mine is the only one to have Taskbar Pause (35 Sec) After Switching User this problem In order to reproduce this all I have to do is switch to a different user then quot switch user quot back to the welcome screen then log in to my user It does it every time During the second pause there is no additional cpu activity and no additional disk activity there might be some additional network activity but not noticeable The problem has only started happening recently I ve been trying to rack my brains as to exactly what changed at exactly that time The most significant changes recently are i think I installed a second GB harddrive and moved my personal folder onto it the one normally under documents and settings I changed all of my file references in the registry to point to the new location including my ProfileImagePath This is nothing new to me all of the users on this pc have a non-default location for their documents and settings and they don t have this problem I installed XP Service Pack I ve run Tcpview but there s nothing in there that looks suspicious I ve run ShellExView but a lot of the stuff in there means nothing to me I ve run Ccleaner RegCure and Registry Mechanic but I still have the problem So what is causing this Is there a hook or registry key that can invoke something to run every time you switch to a user Thanks for your help ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- System Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version Service Pack Computer Intel Core Quad CPU Q GHz GHz GB of RAM Security AntiVirus - Avast home Anti-spyware - XoftSpySE v Firewall - built-in windows XP Network - Cable modem through Dlink router using newtork address translation ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A:Taskbar Pause (35 Sec) After Switching User

Hi Garmanma.

I Only added the Hijackthis log for completeness. someone was bound to ask for it.

I don't think this is a security / malware / spyware issue. So now I think my post is in the wrong forum.

Shall I repost the question without the hijackthis log?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/159060/taskbar-pause-35-sec-after-switching-user/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hello,

When I try, on Windows XP, to switch user (between 2 administrator accounts) going through run – close session – switch account (or something like this, my OS is not in English), I get a black screen from which I cannot exit without starting again my computer. If I close the first session before opening the second one, it’s OK. This problem came after installing SP3, but I cannot restore because the system tells me nothing has been changed.

Thank you for your help,
fuzzsytone

A:Black Screen When Switching User

Here's a link to a blog with some suggestions for SP3 errors: http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesper/arc...ing-xp-sp3.aspx

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/146466/black-screen-when-switching-user/
Relevancy 51.6%

when i do a switch user and log back in to my profile, some of my desktop icons change position, the "Notes" gadget moves position, the ObjectDock dock is now on my left monitor, and other things happen.

i'm running a dual-monitor setup.
Core 2 Quad Q6600
4 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT
Vista Ultimate x64

i'm attaching a file that has a screen shot of my desktop(s) before the switch user and after

i've been looking for a solution, but have had no success. please help!

thanks in advance,
Hristo

A:When switching user, my desktop gets messed up

theres only a .doc file in the zip folder, can you upload the images directly to the site via the manage attachments link? like mine below V

http://www.vistax64.com/graphic-cards/213519-when-switching-user-my-desktop-gets-messed-up.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi------ In Services, other than Fast User Switching (set to automatic) is there any other service that would affect the Switch user function which is not working after I disabled a bunch of services.

A:WinXp Fast user switching

Fast User Switching depends on Terminal Services

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/winxp-fast-user-switching.272778/
Relevancy 51.6%

I have XP SP3.
I also have the need to run multiple programs on different user accounts all logged in at the same time... is there any way I can get those programs (that are logged in on seperate accounts) to show up on the same user/session/whatever at the same time?

A:Fast User Switching Question

Not that I know of. Windows only lets you see one session at a time so you can only access them from the session they are running in.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/fast-user-switching-question.878860/
Relevancy 51.6%

I have played around with some of the services and I suspect that I might have cancelled one too many of them.
My XP is set to automatically logon to onne user and now when I try to switch to my second user nothing happens.
What can I do?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/switching-user-doesnt-work-3979.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi,

Is there any way to automate Fast User Switching on Windows XP?

Say, there are 2 users, user1 and user2. How can I automate the switching procedure to user2?

Thanks,
Haku

A:Automatic Fast User Switching

I'm not quite sure what you mean here... do you want to create a shortcut that will automatically switch over to user2 when you click it or what?

Although I have it disabled, I was under the impression that fast user switching was already pretty automated; just 2 or 3 clicks right?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/automatic-fast-user-switching.385265/
Relevancy 51.6%

All of a sudden I cannot fast user switch. Any ideas why?

A:Fast User switching failing

Fast User switching depends on Terminal services to run

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/fast-user-switching-failing.273737/
Relevancy 51.6%

I recently replaced my x display with a x and it seems that since then whenever I do a Fast User Switch from the intial user changes, User but Switching only after Desktop Fast logon to a nd both Admins when I logoff User and switch back-again to the original user profile certain of the gadgets and desktop icons move those at the bottom of the desktop and below right also Although I'm not certain they necessarily move PRECISELY in alignment with a x Desktop changes, but only after Fast User Switching desktop that Desktop changes, but only after Fast User Switching of course is what I suspect suppose I use use a measuring tool to determine this exactly I have been to-the-moon-and-back trying things including checking Device Manager for a hidden nd monitor there is none updating checking Graphics drivers this is an Intel DH GD with HD onboard graphics W HPx searching the Registry for appearances of the old x resolution setting both desktops to the same theme unchecking quot allow themes to change icons quot setting icons the same size etc etc ad nauseum to no change What Desktop changes, but only after Fast User Switching is further interesting is that if I logon originally to User and then fast-switch to User and then log-off User then User 's desktop is changed So this problem occurs in quot either direction quot But it does NOT occur if I LOGOFF then logon again to the other user--it ONLY occurs when fast-switching such that the first user is still logged-on I wonder if anyone here knows what the quot magic quot might be for what-is-different between the situation where only user is logged-on at a time vs the quot fast user switch quot where users are logged-on at a time One thing I have NOT tried yet is to re-create the user profile s but I've not done this because I don't know which user profile I'd re-create i e the problem doesn't seem tied to the user Any thoughts about this would be welcome

A:Desktop changes, but only after Fast User Switching

Well I seem to know how to "stump the stars" around here don't I. OK well my workaround is "don't do it" (Fast User Switch) i.e. log OFF and then log ON every user every time.

I've also set-up my Firefox profile on the main user profile so I don't have to switch to the other for surfing...

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/286611-desktop-changes-but-only-after-fast-user-switching.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Hey Everyone Ok so two weeks ago the temp IT guy User working! not Fast XP :-( on Switching came and messed with my computer Before there were two quot admin quot users on the log in screen myself and another person All of a sudden I get on the computer and I realize that the temp changed both accounts to limited After logging on to the quot hidden quot admin account I changed my account back to quot admin quot and kept Fast User Switching on XP not working! :-( the other one limited However now I don t have the option to quot switch users quot I have literally tried everything and visited a Fast User Switching on XP not working! :-( bunch of forums with no luck When I go into control panal and under user accounts and try to click on the fast user switching button and hit apply it doesn t save the changes i made I have checked the computer services and both Fast User Switching on XP not working! :-( the terminal and fast user switching are running an on automatic However still not able to switch Please help I have been going crazy for the past weeks trying to figure this out Thanks nbsp

A:Fast User Switching on XP not working! :-(

Have you tried a system restore?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/fast-user-switching-on-xp-not-working.882387/
Relevancy 51.6%

Is is possible to use fast user switching in 2000 or is this exclusively a Windows XP feature?

Relevancy 51.6%

Hi,

I've installed Windows 7 32 and all is working fine apart from 1 problem and that is when I switch user.
I can log off user, and log onto different users but if I switch users it Blue screens and says error code 0x0000008e and creates and mem dump file.

I have looked into this and updated my video card drivers NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE
to ver 8.17.11.9555

I cant find any help on what would be making this happen.

I can locate the .dmp files but do not know what to do with them.

Hope someone on here can help.

Thanks
John Lister

A:Blue Screen when switching user

Hello,

Just attached the .dmp files if this helps.

Thanks
John

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/41062-blue-screen-when-switching-user.html
Relevancy 51.6%

when the other user switches off we get a black screen can someone take a look at this log and see what is going. I have been away at school for the past couple of months and this computer was not on. itwas just hooked back up to the internet last night and this started to happen

thanks,
tdrolin

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/141587/black-screen-when-switching-from-other-user/
Relevancy 51.6%

My problem is I need to have programs running that are normally a single instance only application I ve been trying to simply fast user switch and let them run in the background I can log in fine on any of my accounts when it is my first log in after boot however when I go to switch user it will bring me back to the account selection menu but it will claim I have a password for every account This is not true as I created a few tests ones without a password and can be logged into fine on boot It will display a password field however nothing works accounts that do have a password never work either regardless of the fact that the password is correct I am running xp home sp sp is not possible as I am on a machine Any suggestions My next train of thought + User Multiple Switching Instances is perhaps there is an easier way to run programs which are designed to be single instance applications Using run-as does not work and Switching User + Multiple Instances I can t seem to locate any resources on this front Perhaps editing memory I would give that a shot as I ve done some basic editing to get odd things like this to work in the past but dealing with windows I have no idea where I d start Thanks for any advice or suggestions

Relevancy 51.6%

Hello all,
My system has started BSOD'ing when switching users. Normally I log on as an admin, but I want to create accounts for my kids with much lower rights, obviously. The system has been stable for a few years, but now that I've created the kids accounts, I see BSOD frequently when switching to one of their accounts.

I think I got all the info requested from the SF Diag tool attached.

Thanks for any assistance!

Martin

A:BSOD, only when switching user Win7 x64

Welcome
Apparantly and driver problem. Driver verifier may be able to tell us which one
Driver Verifier
I'd suggest that you first backup your data and then make sure you've got access to another computer so you can contact us if problems arise. Then make a System Restore point (so you can restore the system using the Vista/Windows 7 Startup Repair feature).

In Windows 7 you can make a Startup Repair disk by going to Start....All Programs...Maintenance...Create a System Repair Disc - with Windows Vista you'll have to use your installation disk or the "Repair your computer" option at the top of the Safe Mode menu .

Then, here's the procedure:
- Go to Start and type in "verifier" (without the quotes) and press Enter
- Select "Create custom settings (for code developers)" and click "Next"
- Select "Select individual settings from a full list" and click "Next"
- Select everything EXCEPT FOR "Low Resource Simulation" and click "Next"
- Select "Select driver names from a list" and click "Next"
Then select all drivers NOT provided by Microsoft and click "Next"
- Select "Finish" on the next page.

Reboot the system and wait for it to crash to the Blue Screen. Continue to use your system normally, and if you know what causes the crash, do that repeatedly. The objective here is to get the system to crash because Driver Verifier is stressing the drivers out. If it doesn't crash for you, then let it run for at least 36 hours of continuous operation (an estimate on my part).

If you can't get into Windows because it crashes too soon, try it in Safe Mode.
If you can't get into Safe Mode, try using System Restore from your installation DVD to set the system back to the previous restore point that you created.
Driver Verifier - Enable and Disable

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/244070-bsod-only-when-switching-user-win7-x64.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi all,

We've got 4 user accounts set up on our XP Pro machine, but only two of them can ever be logged on at once... when we try a third, it acts like it's gonna load but dumps back to the Welcome screen. We have 1.25 GB of RAM and a 1.6 GHz processor, and it worked before but not now.

I've noticed other issues... like when we try to logoff sometimes it hangs on "saving your settings" or just displays the desktop wallpaper and forces us to reboot. I am thinking these issues are related. I made a seperate post about this one earlier but never got it resolved.

Anyone have any ideas???

A:Problems with Fast User Switching....

There is really no reason to have more than one acct logged in at a time in my thinking. Two, maybe. There really is no reason to have 3 or more. That means you have all start up programs running 3 times. Plus any other programs the individual user has open. With a 1.6 P4 it sounds like you might jsut be running into a barrier. You can put all the memory you want in a slow computer and it won't make it fast.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problems-with-fast-user-switching.438479/
Relevancy 51.6%

Last weekend I cleaned an XPhome machine which had 514 virally infected files. Obviously it had been having a lot of problems!

Now it's at least running but when they try to switch from one user to another it comes up with the BSOD and information containing
STOP C000021A
0xC0000005 (0x77E7569E 0x002EF808)

At the moment I don't know if it happens when doing a log off and then log on.

Having stopped, the machine will restart fine and they can log into the new user.

Any ideas?

A:Blue Screen when switching user

Try this out:

Scan ur system with Ad-aware make sure this options r selected in settings of ad-aware

hit scanning tab and select scan within archives
and in Memory and Registry select all

click on Tweak and select unload recognised process during scanning then click on proceed on bottom and start

update ur antivirus def and do a complete scan

hope this helps

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/blue-screen-when-switching-user.235332/
Relevancy 51.6%

I have Windows Professional x There are three user accounts Daddy - Administrator this is my account Child - Standard User and Visitor - Standard User These are not the accounts' real names I really should be a Standard User for day-to-day computing There Administrator to From Switching Standard User are two ways I could go about doing this and my Switching From Administrator to Standard User question is Which way is better Daddy will continue to be an Administrator I will Switching From Administrator to Standard User create a new Standard User account for myself Daddy will transfer all my documents pictures music etc to my new user account or I will create a new Administrator account and then demote Daddy to a Standard User Are there particular pros and cons to these methods or does it not really matter One thing I wonder about is that I have used the Daddy account to install certain software Switching From Administrator to Standard User 'for this user only' i e Daddy I did this for software that needs Administrator permissions and rights such as my antivirus software Will a new Administrator account automatically have this software installed or will it have to re-install this software Thanks for your help

A:Switching From Administrator to Standard User

Perhaps the 'safest' way is to make a new account for daddy and keep the administrator. But needing to transfer files might not be so easy.

Either way should work fine, its just that sometimes you can get items installed that you have the option to say 'install only on this profile (the administrator's)' or 'install on all profiles'

I wouldn't know if you have installed items on the daddy account that won't transfer over in a change. likely, if you made daddy a standard and made a new administrator, all the daddy files would still be there for easy access. But then the administrator wouldn't have them, which would be perfect if you only used administrator for computer check-ups and such

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/163156-switching-administrator-standard-user.html
Relevancy 51.6%

I have NAV and Sygate Personal Firewall load when window starts. Up until recently whenver I logged off and switched user accounts or stayed logged in and switched, both would stay running in the system tray. Now when I switch only NAV is running. Sygate starts up only occasionally.

A:Startup programs and user switching

I have experienced a similar problem as well. I have Norton AV as well as Sygate (free version.)

I have had to reinstall Sygate a couple of times because it would not load. I had the same problem with OutPost and Tiny too.

I have read that it has something to so with Norton's Live Update.

Hmmmm

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/startup-programs-and-user-switching.132354/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hello Home Office Setup.
Network 1 Office use
Network2 Personal Use.
User 1 Office Use
User 2 Home use.
Same Win8 PC.

Can i automatically switch WiFi network as I switch User?
1 WIFI Connection on PC
Thanks

A:Switching between two networks as I switch User

You can. You just need to uncheck the box to allow that network to be used by all users. When the unit boots up. It will always default to the first WiFi connection.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/46366-switching-between-two-networks-i-switch-user.html
Relevancy 51.6%

A recently installed prog (PC Any 10.0) disabled the "
Welcome Screen" and "Fast user switching".

After uninstalling PC Any 10.0, the "fast User switching" returned.

How do I go about continuing to use PC Any and not have it disable XP functions such as “Fast User Switching”.

Relevancy 51.6%

Hello,

Previous behaviour in Windows 7: I could leave an internet radio station playing on VLC for example and allow my partner to switch to her account we could still hear the audio playing.

I am aware that switching users in Windows 8.1 required me to apply the registry hack available in the tutorials.

Since MS might not have wanted to give us the opportunity to switch user as a default - making us sign out every time - it made me wonder if this is the reason the audio switches off.

But then again I can still leave a download running in my account and switch user and then when I return to my account the download has completed, so clearly activity is still occurring on the other account.

Any ideas how I can keep the audio going without having to run a new instance of a player in the switched account to continue listening?

Best wishes.

A:switching user turns off audio

Welcome to the forum!

Are they the same type of accounts as in Local or Microsoft? Don't know if that would make a difference but maybe.

Also is the default audio playback set the same in both?

http://www.eightforums.com/sound-audio/58762-switching-user-turns-off-audio.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Hello there...
I'm running a Dell Vostro 460 with Windows 8 Pro with Media Center (64 bit). I have four users set up on the machine, two running as Administrators. I have a big issue when switching between users...

Primarily, I've lost fast user switching, so if someone checks their e-mail or something I lose everything running.

Secondly, after using Win+L to switch users, typing in the correct password removes the Signed in status underneath the user, and then resets the screen to a fresh log-in screen, where I need to retype the password to sign in successfully. This happens intermittently.

The only significant tweak I've made to the system is that I've disabled the Lock Screen using Group Policy Editor.

I've tried looking this up to now avail - does anyone have any suggestions as to what I need to look at/tweak?

All help gratefully received - this whole issue is damn annoying!
Sidney

A:Fast User Switching issues

Any help would be most welcome!

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/20648-fast-user-switching-issues.html
Relevancy 51.6%

I have a problem with IE and fast user switching. I am using windows xp home. The problem occurs when more than on user tries to log into IE. There are 4 users on the pc. If one logs into IE it seems to work fine. If I switch user and try to log on I get a runtime error. Also being and old windows 98 user I am still used to using windows explorer to find files and if one user is on IE. windows exp will not open for the second.
I posted this problem on the hijack this forum thinking that it might be a malware problem but it was not. The computer is malware free.
I have tried SFC and Registering the IE dll's with no success.
Thanks for any assistance you may be able to provide. stroh

A:IE and Fast User Switching Problems

Hi...

Do you have a firewall? If yes, does it support Fast User Switching?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f56/ie-and-fast-user-switching-problems-98946.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Im operating many windows vista user accounts, and switching between them is just pain and slow.

Im using windows+L buttons shortcut, but its still pretty slow.

Is there any way how to switch straight away from account to account? For example by making some command icon on desktop for each account, that would get me straight there. Or anything else you can think of and is faster than what im using ?

Also any tips, what to cut down in vistas to make whole process faster? I mean some tweaks that would affect exactly my problem.

Thanks

A:Fast user account switching

Well you can create a shortcut on your desktop but using WinKey + L seems faster to me. I don't know of any way to directly switch it another user. Wouldn't makes sense considering most accounts should be password protected. I am sure this is something MS would never code because the security community would scream bloody murder over it.

This works on my XP Pro computer but I do not know if it works on XP home or Vista Premium because they don't have terminal services.
http://www.theworldofoffice.com/xp-tips-tricks/create-desktop-shortcut-fast-user-switching/
Vista link. There is an update to his story at the bottom for a program to do it on Vista.
UPDATE 2: For your convenience: I’ve compiled the above and packaged it into a ZIP along with the source for download here.Click to expand...

http://blog.dotsmart.net/2008/01/17/shortcut-to-switch-user-in-windows-vista/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/fast-user-account-switching.858650/
Relevancy 51.6%

I recently reinstalled Windows 7 Ultimate. After reinstalling and re-creating the user accounts I noticed that I could no longer use this PC as a host for Remote Desktop as I had before.

Also, I can no longer switch users, instead I have to Log off each time a user wants to log on.

I have done the gpedit.msc (policies/templates "hide entry points for fast user switching" which is disabled.

I have also added a registry HideFastUserSwitching. These two tips are offered in a few places.

I have also deleted the original user accounts and remade them just in case there was a corruption. I keep all data in a data partition so I just point the newly created accounts back to that partition. Could that have something wrong with it?

Any Ideas on what else I should do?

Relevancy 51.6%

been absolute ages since i last posted doing a domain change over and all the client machines are windows and we are moving them from a server domain to domain i have been testing this on some dummy profiles user switching in registery profile on my laptop which is attached to the new server domain and normally to make a profile change over easier you could quot hack quot the registery keys by changing the profile target inside the key in win switching user profile in registery xp for example i would have gone to regedit hkey local machine software microsoft windowsnt currentversion profilelist and then copied the original domain profile for example profile a's old domain profileimagepath key data would be copied to profile b's the new domain but now in windows there is of course the added security etc so its not that simple because when i do attempt to login to that profile after a full restart it will login to the temp profile and give the there was a problem and you have been given a temporary profile error i know it has something to do with the ownership rights and the inhereting of permissions for the user file but i cant seem to nail it down as to how exactly i can do it if it needs more explaining im happy to do so the reason i do it this way is to minimize down time alot of the programs are profile data based and it will be a pain to move it all manually any thoughts on what rights and ownerships need to be added changed

A:switching user profile in registery

I'm not sure whether this is what you're after, but I'll post the link nevertheless: How to Change User Profile Default Location in Windows 7 | Windows7hacker

More information here: About User Profiles (Windows)

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/170527-switching-user-profile-registery.html
Relevancy 51.6%

I use fast user switching frequently But recently every time I switch to my particular user it takes approximately seconds before the task bar is Pause After Switching User (35 Taskbar Sec) usable and the system tray is displayed Running programs are usable during this time and alt-tab also works Of users on this PC mine is the only one to have this problem In order to reproduce this all I have to do is switch to a different user then quot switch user quot back to the welcome screen then log in to my user It does it every time During the second pause there is no additional cpu activity and no additional disk activity there might be some additional network activity but not noticeable The problem has only started happening recently I've been trying to rack my brains as to exactly what changed at exactly that time The most significant changes recently are i think I installed a second GB harddrive and moved my personal folder onto it the one normally under documents and settings I changed all of my file references in the registry to point to the new location including my ProfileImagePath This is nothing new Taskbar Pause (35 Sec) After Switching User to me all of the users Taskbar Pause (35 Sec) After Switching User on this pc have a non-default location for their documents and settings and they don't have this problem I installed XP Service Pack Please Help Thanks ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode NormalRunning processes C WINDOWS System smss exeC WINDOWS system winlogon exeC WINDOWS system services exeC WINDOWS system lsass exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC Program Files Alwil Software Avast aswUpdSv exeC Program Files Alwil Software Avast ashServ exeC WINDOWS system spoolsv exeC Program Files Apache Software Foundation Apache bin httpd exeC Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support bin AppleMobileDeviceService exeC Program Files Bonjour mDNSResponder exeC Program Files WIDCOMM Bluetooth Software bin btwdins exeC Program Files Cisco Systems VPN Client cvpnd exeC Program Files Nero Nero InCD InCDsrv exeC Program Files Common Files LightScribe LSSrvc exeC Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared VS Debug mdm exeC Program Files Apache Software Foundation Apache bin httpd exeC Program Files MySQL MySQL Server bin mysqld-nt exeC WINDOWS System snmp exeC Program Files Microsoft SQL Server Shared sqlwriter exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC Program Files Alwil Software Avast ashMaiSv exeC Program Files Alwil Software Avast ashWebSv exeC Program Files ScanSoft PaperPort pptd nt exeC Program Files Musicmatch Musicmatch Jukebox mm tray exeC Program Files Java jre bin jusched exeC WINDOWS system igfxtray exeC WINDOWS system hkcmd exeC WINDOWS system igfxpers exeC WINDOWS system igfxsrvc exeC WINDOWS RTHDCPL EXEC Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exeC Program Files ScanSoft PaperPort PPWebCap exeC Program Files DNA btdna exeC Program Files ScanSoft PaperPort PPScheduler exeC Program Files BitTorrent bittorrent exeC Program Files DAEMON Tools Lite daemon exeC Program Files WIDCOMM Bluetooth Software BTTray exeC PROGRA WIDCOMM BLUETO BTSTAC EXEC Program Files iPod bin iPodService exeC WINDOWS explorer exeC WINDOWS system LVComsX exeC WINDOWS system winlogon exeC Program Files Cisco Systems VPN Client vpngui exeC WINDOWS system mstsc exeY System Installs Essential programs majorgeeks com - hijackthis HiJackThis exeR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www google co ukR - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microso... Read more

A:Taskbar Pause (35 Sec) After Switching User

Hello tpot1,We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. We aim to provide the valuable service known to come from BC to every member we can, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help.If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If not please perform the following steps below so we can have a look at the current condition of your machine.Upon completing the steps below, a staff member will review and take the steps necessary with you to get your machine back in working order, clean and free of malware.Thanks and again sorry for the delay. Please download Deckard's System Scanner (DSS) and save to your Desktop.alternate download siteDSS will do the following:Create a new System Restore point in Windows XP and Vista.Clean your Temporary Files, Downloaded Program Files, Internet Cache Files, and empty the Recycle Bin on all drives.Check some important areas of your system and produce a report for an analyst to review.Automatically run HijackThis. It will also install and place a shortcut to HijackThis on your desktop if you do not already have it installed. So if HijackThis is not installed and DSS prompts you to download it, please answer yes.You must be logged onto an account with administrator privileges when using.Close all applications and windows.Double-click on dss.exe to run it and follow the prompts.If your anti-virus or firewall complains, please allow this script to run as it is not
malicious.When the scan is complete, two text files will open in Notepad:main.txt <- this one will be maximizedextra.txt <- this one will be minimizedIf not, they both can be found in the C:\Deckard\System Scanner folder.Please copy (Ctrl+C) and paste (Ctrl+V) the contents of main.txt and extra.txt in your next reply.-- When running DSS, some firewalls may warn that it is trying to access the Internet especially if your asked to download the most current version of HijackThis. Please ensure that you allow it permission to do so.-- If you get a warning from your anti-virus while DSS is scanning, please allow DSS to continue as the scan is not harmful.If you already preformed the steps above, we still need to see the current state of the machine. A fresh scan and logs are still necessaryClick on Start then RunCopy and paste the following in bold in the open window and then click OK"%userprofile%\desktop\dss.exe" /configThis will open up DSS configuration Click on Check AllClick ScanDSS will now run again when finishedPlease post back both logs that open in notepadMain txt and extra txtNextPlease do a scan with Kaspersky Online ScannerNote: If you are using Windows Vista, open your browser by right-clicking on its icon and select 'Run as administrator' to perform this scan.Click on the Accept button and install any components it needs.The program will install and then begin downloading the latest definition files.After the files have been downloaded on the left side of the page in the Scan section select My ComputerThis will start the program and scan your system.The scan will take a while, so be patient and let it run.Once the scan is complete, click on View scan reportNow, click on the Save Report as button.Save the file to your desktop.Copy and paste that information in your next post.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/159463/taskbar-pause-35-sec-after-switching-user/
Relevancy 51.6%

Ok, my profile name is Compaq_Owner, and I would evol to make a new profile name something like... Tyler. The thing is, is there anyway to backup everything so i can switch the profiles without losing anything?

Relevancy 51.6%

What I would like is to have the need for passwords to be entered on initial login, but not when switching users. Is this possible?

A:Fast user switching without password

Hello Forkboy, and welcome to Seven Forums.

Sorry, but no. You will either have to enter passwords at all log in screens, or remove the passwords for the user accounts to not have to enter passwords.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/150669-fast-user-switching-without-password.html
Relevancy 51.6%

My wife and I have been using fast user switching on out computer for years with no problem Beginning a few months ago I started Win XP Prof one day I get to the welcome screen with no user names displayed I then press Alt Ctrl Del twice and type in the username and then am able to login User XP Windows Switching Fast to Windows with an account of owner When I go to user accounts Windows XP Fast User Switching in Control Panel I get the error message cells item is null or not an object When I go to computer administration and then local users and groups there are no users listed under users but the groups are listed I have done system point restores and imports of exports of the registry I take with export I have tried everything under safe mode and it makes no difference This followed a Microsoft update the night before as I left the computer on I tried to do a restore point but all my restore points were corrupt I was working with a fellow from Microsoft and he had me Windows XP Fast User Switching do all kinds of things but to no avail He seems to think Windows XP Fast User Switching a DLL file is corrupt but which one Finally in desperation he sent me a new OS XP Prof SP disk and I installed it and it wiped my hard drive Luckily I took an Acronis Image backup first so I easily restored my system This has been going on for months I need help Thanks - Johnny

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/437202/windows-xp-fast-user-switching/
Relevancy 51.6%

I have a problem using my Windows XP 'Fast User Switching' feature; everytime I connect to the internet [dial-up] and then attempt to switch users I lose my internet connection every time.......I suspect that perhaps the problem is w/ my ISP's [PeoplePC] proprietary software, because previously when I used the Dial Up Networking [DUN]feature in Windows XP w/ my former ISP, the 'Fast User Switching' feature worked just fine and no disconnects, however I MUST use PeoplePC's proprietary software [Version 6.1] included on their setup cd to connect and surf the net. I am not able to connect by simply using Windows XP Dial Up Networking, which would resolve the issue.

Here's one for you tech gurus.........any help would be much appreciated!!!!!!

A:Fast User Switching Issue

hello and welcome to techsupportforum.

please post a question in one area only.

i have put your other two identical posts in the trash.

if you aren't sure which is the best section for a particular question, just pick which one seems best, if it's in the wrong spot, we will move it for you.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/fast-user-switching-issue-60491.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Hello guys

I am having a problem, I installed windows xp home, and set up 4 accounts, all admin privaleges.

I want to enable the user switching so that you can switch users without logging off, but it wont run.

I have tried the user accounts "change the way users log on or off" and it does not work.
I have also tried the MSKB Fix and again it does not work.

I have not connected to a the internet yet, this is a fresh install of WinXp home
There is no other software installed yet either (no point in going forward of this isnt working)

If I click Switch users, it blinks then sends me to my desktop again, not the users I chose. This happens in all 4 user accounts.
Thanks in advance.

Relevancy 51.6%

Hi , I recently added another user to my computer. Today I tried to take it off of my computer because when I turned it on this morning, it went to that other acct. and won't let me switch back to my acct. It also won't let me switch users when I try to log off. The switch user button doesn't even display. I've gone into the registry editor, but I'm not exactly sure on what to do without screwing things completely up. I'm hoping that I didn't lose all my files and folders. I guess the one good thing is that I did back up my entire system last week. "Any easy Suggestions ?

Relevancy 51.6%

Wanting to migrate my student lab's to amp this summer but need to find a way to quot Disable quot Fast User Switching - I see the advantage for the home user and maybe even a small office but for students who NEVER log off I want the machines to run as fast and as clean as possible and NOT have multiple accounts logged in at the same time While I am familiar with Switching for Fast User Domain PC's the reg hack to hide the quot switch user quot button this is also not an option since if a student logs in and locks the machine there is no way for the lab instructors to log Fast User Switching for Domain PC's off the machine with their administrator credentials It simply asks for that users information and the only way around is to shut down or reboot the machine Did Microsoft miss this It may have been in Vista also but we skipped that OS and this will be a MAJOR headache for MANY network admins - I hope I have missed something and look forward to anyone's advice on Fast User Switching for Domain PC's this and how they handle this scenario -

A:Fast User Switching for Domain PC's

Try this,

Lock and Switch User - Add or Remove - Vista Forums

The first thing you can do is disable the Lock function,
in the registry browse to the following keys: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

Then create a a new DWORD (32bit value) name it DisableLockWorkstation
Change the value to 1 which disables the Windows Lock. (The change should be immediate)

From there you can disable the Switch User, from either Group Policy or in the registry..

Hope this Helps...

EDIT: I have just tested this on my Windows 7 computer and it works! I can't Lock the machine or switch users..

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/84148-fast-user-switching-domain-pcs.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Hello,

I just switched to Windows 7 from Windows XP. I'm hating it for various silly reasons. So. I have two separate user accounts. On my old XP, to switch from user to user efficiently, I Windows Key + L. On Windows 7, it's the same keys, however, it brings you to an additional screen that asks you if you want to switch users and you have to select that option, before you get to the main screen where all the accounts are listed.

Since I feel like it's pretty self-evident that I want to switch users, I feel like that extra screen is unnecessary and irritating and it makes me want to break my laptop in half. Is there another shortcut key, or is there a way I can change my settings so that when I Windows Key + L it, I get to the user accounts directly, rather than yet another screen asking me if I'm sure?

Thanks!

A:Switching from one user account to another efficiently.

Hi mlehcar and welcome to W7 Forums

That key combination takes you to the lock screen. It is possible to navigate from there and switch to other accounts, however you can always create a shortcut by following the instructions here: Switch User Shortcut - Create If you place this shortcut on the Public Desktop (which, as its name implies, is available for everyone), you should be able to switch accounts by simply clicking on the shortcut.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/193748-switching-one-user-account-another-efficiently.html