Windows Support Forum

[SOLVED] Windows XP user account settings problems

Q: [SOLVED] Windows XP user account settings problems

I got a new computer about a week ago, running Windows XP home and student edition, and have been using the admin account since. That is only true because when ever i go to make a new user profile, like one you select when you want to log in, it dosent transfer Word, PowerPoint, Excel, or One point. I have no idea why, but it dosent. Please help

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: [SOLVED] Windows XP user account settings problems

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: [SOLVED] Windows XP user account settings problems

You will have to reinstall those programs for each user. I believe that there is an option when installing Office to install on all user accounts on the computer, so once you have all user accounts set up, try that.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-windows-xp-user-account-settings-problems-165465.html
Relevancy 77.83%

Hi,
I installed Turbo Tax on a standard user account from the disc.
Now when I try to install TT updates, it won't let me because I need to be an administrator.
Can I change the standard to an administrator, and when I'm done, change it back?
I already have a Main Administrator user. The Standard is used for internet facing activities.
Thanks

Relevancy 76.97%

I just have a quick question. I'm using Windows XP Professional SP3 and I have an admin user profile and also a secondary user profile. A friend of mine a told me to just use the secondary profile all the time accept if you need to install something, that way it's more secure. Not sure how secure it is or if I should keep using my computer this way, but I'd kind of like to just simplify things a bit and delete the secondary profile and just only use the admin profile. Is it possible to save any settings I had on that profile and then just delete that user account?

A:Solved: Possible to delete user account and save settings?

It certainly is more secure to run in a standard user account, you can see this page in the Techguy Library of knowledge for an explanation as to why. I am in a standard account as I write this for that very reason.

However you say you don't like the situation. The answer I'd be considering would be to elevate the standard user, turning it into an admin. That will be quick and migrate everything. Admitidly it could be a little weird if say the standard account were named "standard" but that's quite a minor thing. If you then want to remove the old admin account, don't do it until the new one is safely elevated.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-possible-to-delete-user-account-and-save-settings.935930/
Relevancy 76.54%

Hello,
So far, this has happened to me twice in the last 6 months. I logon to Windows 2000 using my normal user account and password, and the OS comes up as though I am a new user. My original documents and setting folders are all still there, but the OS has created a new set of folders named <user name>.<computer name>. To my knowledge, no one has logged on any differently or changed anything.

I eventually can get everything back by brute force; usually copying local setting folders into the new folders and annoying things like that. I would love to know:

- Why it happens (and how to prevent it)
- How to easily point the user settings back to the original folder structure.

Help!

Thanks

Peter

Relevancy 76.11%

XP HOME SP Following a crash I put in a new hard drive reinstalled Windows re-created the User accounts Well some of that I had help with I made three User accounts and the folders appeared in Documents amp Settings no problems A few weeks later I decided to add another User account The account & Settings XP Documents User put doesn't Solved: folder in account was created successfully but its folder never appeared in Documents amp Settings That was about a month ago and it s just never shown up Solved: XP doesn't put User account folder in Documents & Settings The account itself works fine as far as I know This morning I created a second User account for this person to see if it would place a folder in Docs amp Settings It still didn t Before the crash I had all four people with four separate accounts so having four User accounts has not been a problem previously It s not a reboot issue as I ve rebooted numerous times since creating the person s first account Is there a way to force the User account folder to appear in Documents amp Settings since XP won t place it there automatically Edited to add When reinstalling HD it had to be named quot F quot not quot C quot That didn t affect creating the original three User accounts though so I don t know what to think about that Also no problem with downloading programs it always defaults to the correct location Just thought this might be important AHHH nevermind I figured it out User accounts must first be logged into before the folders appear in Documents amp Settings Apparently he just sat down at someone else s opened desktop doesn t live here and keeps no files here so he didn t care whose IE he was browsing in I guess I did not log into the new account either Anyway - First log into a User account before it shows up in Documents amp Settings nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-xp-doesnt-put-user-account-folder-in-documents-settings.503351/
Relevancy 75.25%

I usually try to fix these things myself but I don t even know where to begin searching on Google I was playing Mass Effect game last night and the nvidia driver crashed second time it s happened overall from this game I closed as many apps as I could then told Windows to reboot On rebooting disk check ran and decided to delete about files it might have done other things not sure When I got back into Windows all my preferences were gone and I realized that a new set of quot Documents and Settings quot files were created called quot Owner MASTRPC quot mastrpc is the name of the computer on my network and wrong Account and to Settings User Documents Solved: folder! pointing even though Windows automatically logs in as quot Owner quot as usual it points to that new folder instead of the usual quot Owner quot folder So basically all my preferences shortcuts and passwords are gone everything looks like a fresh install and there are a ton of other inconveniences Thankfully the files from my Owner account are still on my hard drive I think I need to point Windows to the correct Documents and Settings folder Owner instead of Owner MASTRPC Also a second new account ASP NET was created which I ve Solved: User Account pointing to wrong Documents and Settings folder! since deleted But now I think that might have been from Windows Update awhile back Not exactly sure what that s for THANK YOU SO MUCH nbsp

A:Solved: User Account pointing to wrong Documents and Settings folder!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-user-account-pointing-to-wrong-documents-and-settings-folder.916231/
Relevancy 73.53%

Hi sorry to be one of those guys whos first post is one asking for help but here I am so I appreciate any and all help and hope one day I can reciprocate the favor I also havent seen this problem described anywhere else online and thought people may find it fascinating as well When logging into the Primary user with admin privaledges account the desktop no longer has files and icons it used to have and the start menu no longer shows the User XP redirected set empty and documents account of to login settings folders Windows list of dfault or frequently opened programs some programs but not all are also Windows XP User account login redirected to empty set of documents and settings folders missing from the start menu programs section If I open my documents from the start menu it takes me to an empty folder not even my music or my pictures default folders inside I also have restricted permissions and cannot change any of the folder view options such as show hidden files Windows XP User account login redirected to empty set of documents and settings folders and folders When examing the Documents and settings folder I found a new folder called quot TEMP quot inside are the standard user account folders application data local settings documents desktop etc these folders now contained whatever I put in the my documents folder or on the desktop The actual user name being logged into still has its folder located in the documents and settings folder and still has its files and folders intact It seems that the login however now has these new TEMP folders associated with it and a scan of Malware bytes has revealed nothing more then an ask com adware toolbar but I believe the virus may have been removed prior to me having the computer in my possesion So is there a way to undo this login redirect or should I just create a new user account and move the files into it Edit more info in the event log is this is event source userenv Event ID Type Error Description Windows cannot load the user s profile but has logged you on with the default profile for the system DETAIL - Access is denied Steps I have taken so far ran CHKDSK to automaticaly fix filesystem errors only minor inconsistencies were found like unused index entries Had to set static network ip information to connect to the internet certain windows folders like windows registration had no permissions for administrators or system Edit looks like I have found a solution and its possible that this profile issue was simply a coincidence but this KB article has fixed the issue by changing the profile registry key maybe someone else will find it usefull http support microsoft com kb

A:Windows XP User account login redirected to empty set of documents and settings folders

Welcome aboard Let's see, if we can recover your missing features.Download and run UnHideThen....Download Security Check from HERE, and save it to your Desktop. * Double-click SecurityCheck.exe * Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box. * A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.=============================================================================Please download MiniToolBox and run it.Checkmark following boxes:Report IE Proxy SettingsList content of HostsList IP configurationList last 10 Event Viewer logList Users, Partitions and Memory sizeClick Go and post the result.=============================================================================Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (aka MBAM): http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free to your desktop. * Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program. * At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish. * If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version. * Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan. * When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results. * Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected. * When completed, a log will open in Notepad. * Post the log back here.Be sure to restart the computer.The log can also be found here:C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txtOr at C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt=============================================================================Please download GMER from one of the following locations and save it to your desktop:Main Mirror
This version will download a randomly named file (Recommended)Zipped Mirror
This version will download a zip file you will need to extract first. If you use this mirror, please extract the zip file to your desktop.Disconnect from the Internet and close all running programs.Temporarily disable any real-time active protection so your security programs will not conflict with gmer's driver.Double-click on the randomly named GMER file (i.e. n7gmo46c.exe) and allow the gmer.sys driver to load if asked.Note: If you downloaded the zipped version, extract the file to its own folder such as C:\gmer and then double-click on gmer.exe.
GMER will open to the Rootkit/Malware tab and perform an automatic quick scan when first run. (do not use the computer while the scan is in progress)If you receive a WARNING!!! about rootkit activity and are asked to fully scan your system...click NO.Now click the Scan button. If you see a rootkit warning window, click OK.When the scan is finished, click the Save... button to save the scan results to your Desktop. Save the file as gmer.log.Click the Copy button and paste the results into your next reply.Exit GMER and be sure to re-enable your anti-virus, Firewall and any other security programs you had disabled.IMPORTANT! If for some reason GMER refuses to run, try again.If it still fails, try to UN-check "Devices" in right pane.If still no joy, try to run it from Safe Mode.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/408043/windows-xp-user-account-login-redirected-to-empty-set-of-documents-and-settings-folders/
Relevancy 71.81%

I have two admin accounts on my Windows 8 computer, I want to transfer everything from one of the admin accounts, to the other so I can make it my primary account.

Is there anyone who can suggest the best way to do this?

Thanks.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/35751-transfer-user-account-settings-files-another-user.html
Relevancy 70.95%

Good evening from Graz,

i have quite a strange problem on my personal pc since the last few days. I cannot login to my useraccount(which has a transparent picture at the logon screen since a few days).
I have just one workarround: if i login with my adminaccount and logoff, the userpicture of my privateaccount appears again and the login is possible.

What could this problem be related to?

greetings
Nico Müller

A:Solved: Windows 7 User Account Problem(Transparent User Picture)

Good morning,

solved it. Disabled the admin account, and removed the pw of my useraccount.
Kind a strange problem indeed, but seems to be solved.

Thanks anyway,
Nico

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-windows-7-user-account-problem-transparent-user-picture.946560/
Relevancy 69.66%

in user account where you get to change your picture at my picture will not show up there will be a white box with a red x in the middle of the box and when i try to change my picture it will freeze up can you help me please thank you

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can-i-have-some-some-help-with-windows-xp-user-account-problems.840392/
Relevancy 69.66%

Got new PC not long ago , added a few accounts for family suddenly the accounts are dud and can't be logged in , only one remains , ok so try and remake new accounts , allows you to make one but you can never log in , contacted seller told to do fresh install of wins 8 to fix , windows won't repair nor wipe!! Not happy have to say worst OS in a long time!! Technically surely by trying a fresh install it should wipe it all but no what can I do to fix this stupid issue ?

A:Windows 8 User Account problems

We need some additional information like your system specs including make/model number. It would also serve you well to provide a screenshot of Disk Management. Also, how did you attempt the clean install? Do you have the factory recovery discs for Windows 8?

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/32574-windows-8-user-account-problems.html
Relevancy 68.8%

I have just recently upgraded from windows vista control in problems windows account User 7 Ser pack to Windows i carried out a full virus scan before preceeding with the upgrade nothing found and also a full virus scan on completion on completion of the upgrade i noticed that when i tried to open programmes that worked with vista when i tried to click them open the following security message popped up quot Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged or that might be malicious software from an unknown source quot the same sort of warning pops up when i try to open other things to I cannot get access to the UAC to change the settings as this is covered User account control problems in windows 7 by the blue sheild even though i am an administrator so and action which is covered by the blue shield is barred from me i cannot even do a system restore cant even regedit to change the uac values to off as was suggested so basically at the moment i am barred from of my computer would it be any use me inserting the windows upgrade disc in and going through the upgrade again any assistance will be greatly appreciated as this is very very frustrating nbsp

Relevancy 68.37%

Hi,
I'm using Sony Vaio laptop with Windows 8.1.
Recently something happened and the screen became black. I tried to recover the original wallpaper but couldn't do it. At the same time the keyboard stopped working.
I discovered that this is connected to the user account. As I had to reinstall the system anyway, I set a new Windows user account with a different name and the laptop started to work properly.
I would like to avoid changing users in case this situation repeats. Could you tell me what I should do (to change in user accoung settings) if I have similar problem in the future?
Thanks in advance.
Robert

A:User account settings

The best way I know of is to make complete system backup Using something like Macrium Reflect (my favorite), back it up when everything works good and do backups every now and than. In case of big trouble, you are just minutes away from properly set system.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/56414-user-account-settings.html
Relevancy 67.51%

I installed an APC battery backup yesterday along with the required software. Now every time I boot up, the message about "do I want this program to make changes to your computer" comes up. I have the software installed in my startup folder so don't know why I have to see this at each boot up. Any way to disarm this message? I know the notification area on user accounts control settings probably would do it but not sure if I should change that setting. Thanks.

A:User account notification settings

Hello Patriceltic, and welcome to Seven Forums.

Yeah, I have the same issue with APC PowerChute doing this.

You could use the tutorial below to create a elevated task shortcut to run the C:\Program Files (x86)\APC\APC PowerChute Personal Edition\Display.exe file without a UAV prompt.Elevated Program Shortcut without UAC Prompt - Create
Afterwards, you can use this elevated task shortcut with step 15 in the tutorial below to setup a separate task to run at startup?Task - Create to Run a Program at Startup and Log On
When finished, delete APC UPS Status from the Startup folder in the Start Menu. This will only not give a UAC prompt for administrator accounts though.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/176226-user-account-notification-settings.html
Relevancy 67.51%

I have no extra user accounts set up. When I start Windows XP it does not ask me to click on a user name. Apparently I've been using the "built in" administrator account on this machine.

And in so doing, I've changed settings, loaded software, etc.

If I do decide to set up a user name for myself (or others) how can I "import all the settings from the "built in" admin account into the new user name?

Thanks

A:Import User account settings

Hi PeteL.

Under Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Files and Settings Transfer Wizard

Nice little tool supplied by XP for such occasion, let us know how you get on.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/import-user-account-settings-368921.html
Relevancy 67.51%

Are there any types of software that can restore my user account settings to a previous date without using a backup?

A:Restore XP User Account Settings

In order to restore previous settings they would have had to have been saved/backed up some place.
Which settings are you wanting to save?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/restore-xp-user-account-settings.843863/
Relevancy 67.51%

IS there anyway i can copy the LAN/network settings of one user account to another?

A:How to IMport user settings from one account to another?

Hi this may help Easily Backup & Import Your Wireless Network Settings in Windows 7 - How-To Geek

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/how-to-import-user-settings-from-one-account-to-another-580310.html
Relevancy 67.51%

Hello all....

I'm just wondering what all of you are running (if at all) your UAC at? Post and let us know.

I have mine set at "full"; slider all the way up. I've seen from experience over at x64 that it's a bad idea to operate with it disabled...
People that (supposedly...) know what they're doing getting infected!

Just curious.

See: User Account Control - UAC - Change Notification Settings

Later Ted

A:User Account Control Settings

For now, I have it set to this below while I'm still doing experiments and stuff.

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/416-user-account-control-settings.html
Relevancy 67.51%

I purchased a new Dell 1764 Win 7 Professional about 2-weeks ago and have been learning how to use Win 7 - I consider myself an old XP guy!

I was in the windows explorer to see who was listed inder the Users directory where I found a directory with my name on it. I double clicked and noted the contents of the directory was the same as in XP. I clicked on the Local Settings directory (I temporarily turned off the "hide protected operating system files" option to see if contents was the same) and got a message that access was denied. I was told by a tech that this was normal in Win 7 in order to stop people from changing options, etc. which could cause problems.

My question is this - was the tech correct by saying it was locked for protection? If the answer is yes, then who can access the directory? (I have system administrator rights.

Pierre

A:User account - Local Settings

Hello Pierre,

Yes, he was correct. The faded shortcut protected OS folders are actually only "junction points" to the actual folder instead, and are not real folders. They are used for backwards compatibility for older XP type applications that still reference them by default instead of the newer default locations in Vista and Windows 7 now. They redirect the older application to the new Vista and Windows 7 locations instead.
Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/82265-user-account-local-settings.html
Relevancy 67.51%

Hi I am a new windows 7 user. When I set UAC to default. I am unable to open Itunes and other file contents are listed as empty(backup files). The message I get when trying to ope Itunes is "The folder Itunes is on a locked disk or you do not have write permission for this folder".

I would like to be secure, especially when on the internet, but would like access to programs etc.

Note I am using windows 7 home premium (64 bit). I use AVG free antivirus and Microsoft Security Essentials with real time protection turned off (I beleive I have to do this so that it does not interfere with AVG - but am not sure)

The computer was set up for me with me as administrator.

any help would be appreciated.

Regards Tad

A:User Account control settings

It sounds like you may have a corrupted User Profile. Try making a new User Account with administrative privileges. Log on using the new account and see if this resolves the issues.http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/Windows...-a-user-account

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/350291/user-account-control-settings/
Relevancy 67.51%

Hey guys is there a way for a single PC with XP to set a default user setting so that every local accounts created will have the same setting s applied.

A:Default Settings for a User Account

Hi cryingvalor !

Microsoft support does help sometimes
How to create a custom default user profile

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/default-settings-for-a-user-account-176091.html
Relevancy 67.51%

I have created a second account for me (a limited on) in order not to use the lapton under the admin account. However, after I log-in to the limited, I can't connect to the internet. When I go the Network area in order to try and connect or set uo the connection to the Internet by setting up the connection I get a message saying that I do not have the right to change the settings. Where do I go in the admin account in odrer to set the connection to the Internet for the limited account?

A:Settings in a Limited User Account

first question is, what os? You will only be able to make those changes from admin. Why don't you want to use the admin as your default account?

v

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/settings-in-a-limited-user-account.453021/
Relevancy 67.51%

I'm not griping this time!

I've set up a limited account on my computer, and when I was testing it out, I noticed that I was able to manipulate the settings to the anti-virus program that's installed. How do I, using my administrator account, prevent the limited account from messing with it? I've hidden as many folders as possible, but the task bar icon is still visible and I can't hide it. And I can't right-click the task bar icon and mess with the security settings that way.

A:User account permission settings

Robwood,

The problem is more with your Internet Security software than with Vista. If you make the files for the Internet Security software inaccessible to a limited user - that software might not work properly for that user. Most Internet Security software (i.e. Norton, McAfee) allows you to install parental controls and give you the ability to control WHAT Windows users can or cannot do (including the manipulation of the software's settings).

What Internet Security Software are you using? Have you installed parental controls? Did you install the software while logged in as "Administrator"?

Let me know and I can probably offer more assistance.

- John

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/user-account-permission-settings-244097.html
Relevancy 67.08%

I'm trying to change the settings back to "never notify", but every time I click the link, after typing it in the search bar, nothing happens.

Wile in the user account menu, the 4 options with an admin symbol next to them don't work either. I'm assuming that's the problem, I don't have admin capabilities, although I should, I am an administrator.

Is this a common problem, or is it just me?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.
--Jake S

A:Change user account control settings

I think Further explanation is needed

Have you followed this - User Account Control - UAC - Change Notification Settings

Also what "Link" are clicking on?

Josh

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/174727-change-user-account-control-settings.html
Relevancy 67.08%

Dell tower running XP SP-2: I followed MS support Article 323525 to try and set limited program access for an Limited User account. This details going into gpedit.msc and changing settings.

I followed method 1 in the instructions. I do not remember ever setting up any "groups".

Unfortunately I blocked access to most everything, even for the Administrator account. This includes access to the 'run' command window. Looks like the restricted access settings apply to any user on the computer and not just Limited Account users.

How do I get all access back for administrator accounts on this computer and restrict only the Limited Account users?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/blocked-everybody-with-user-account-settings-using-gpedit-msc-238549.html
Relevancy 67.08%

Hi, I have been getting quite frustrated with the UAC message constantly popping up on my Windows 8.1 laptop. There are two accounts on my laptop and mine is the only administrator. My problem is when I try to move the slider from always notify to never notify it says You must be logged on as an administrator on this computer to select this setting. Any information on this would be extremely helpful. Thanks in advance.

A:User Account Settings administrator problm

For anyone else having this problem, I'm not 100% sure what it was or where but I found something that needed updating. After that the computer restarted and everything was fine.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/72128-user-account-settings-administrator-problm.html
Relevancy 67.08%

Hi there this is my first post I've been looking through out the forum trying to look for a problem similar to mine My problem happened probably about a few weeks ago When I installed AVG and AVG PC Tuneup with key gen I got off another website I noticed that I cant install alot of of programs because I need Administrative Privileges I type in msconfig and I get the message You do not have sufficient privileges to run System Please run this utility as a user in the Administrators group Also cannot Uninstall AVG I the settings Admin in User cant I the change Account for never set a password for admin and always log on to my account NANNERGTO I cant change the settings in the User Account for Admin I also get the admin shield next to a lot of radio buttons that wont allow me to save or change things in the User control panel I cant delete manage the admin account There are also I cant change the settings in the User Account for Admin shields next to the rename and delete buttons when I right click on a file I have ran Anti-malware and different Anti-spyware programs and no luck finding anything Hopefully there is some light at the end of the tunnel Hope there is enough info to begin with Thanks in advance Chris

A:I cant change the settings in the User Account for Admin

It sounds like you have infected your machine with malware. It is highly inadvisable to use keygens.

I suggest you follow this guide to create a malware removal thread.

TsVk!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/560229/i-cant-change-the-settings-in-the-user-account-for-admin/
Relevancy 67.08%

Every time I open my laptop, I have to put in my password even when it hasn't been shut down.

Is there a way to set it up where the only time I have to put in the password is after I've shut down or restarted it instead of putting it in after it's simply been closed? Or will I just have to remove the password all together?

A:Change User Account Password Settings?

Power Settings > Left side bar "Require a password on wakeup", then "Change settings that are currently unavailable", and now "Don't require a password"

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/188066-change-user-account-password-settings.html
Relevancy 67.08%

Hi there, my problem is that I'm unable to access my UAC settings - there is no Admin password installed, I'm operating as a standard user. every time I try to download a program onto my computer - the "User Account Control" dialog box appears and tells me to type in the Admin password then click "Yes" but the Yes option is not highlighted and so you can't go forward and so you click on "No" to get out of it and you try again without success. I created another user account and it also started to do the same thing after a little while. I would appreciate any help as it's driving me nuts. I can't download any programs - I've gone into Control Panel/Security Systems/Action Centre/Change User Account - it the dialog box appears again and everything stops again. thank you

A:Can't Access User Account Control Settings

Enable the hidden Administrator account, see here: User Account Password - Change from WinRE

Then login as Administrator and make one of the other accounts an Administrator and give it a password, see if that helps.

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/342995-cant-access-user-account-control-settings.html
Relevancy 67.08%

So I am trying to figure this out and nothing is working. After installing some windows updates my shut off buttons (Logoff, Shutdown, and Restart) became a drop down menu. I found the solution by running control userpasswords2 and deleting that extra account that was not necessary and unchecking the option "Users must enter a username and password to use this computer." and then going to User Accounts under change the way users sign on and off then checking the "Use the Welcome screen" option to get my three buttons back. The problem now is whenever I start my computer, with the Welcome screen option, I have the "loading personal settings" screen that I want to avoid. How can I keep the three shut off buttons while getting rid of the "loading personal settings" screen?

A:User account settings and shut down buttons

see if you can set it up with this

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/D...powertoys.mspx

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/user-account-settings-and-shut-down-buttons-470112.html
Relevancy 67.08%

Reposted as I posted to the wrong sub-topic This problem is driving me crazy I am running a laptop with a French keyboard layout with Windows set on British English For my admin account this works fine - there is an English and Keyboard account over carried settings to not user new French input method available in the language settings in Keyboard settings not carried over to new user account Control Keyboard settings not carried over to new user account Panel and I can even switch to an English keyboard layout if I Keyboard settings not carried over to new user account want with the language settings 'button' in the righthand side of the task bar I would like to set up a user account for my son which I have done but it opens up with an English keyboard layout I go into the language settings but only the English keyboard is available as an input method I add the French keyboard but I cannot switch to this keyboard - there is no language button in the task bar and windows space doesn't do anything I've even tried deleting the English keyboard layout to leave just the French The language settings now show only the French keyboard but Windows still stubbornly insists on staying with the English layout What do I have to do to get the User Account to work with the French keyboard Any help would be gratefully welcome

Relevancy 66.65%

I have two accounts on my XP laptop Changing Administrator To Account? Problems Account Normal User I have the Administrator account and a regular User account I had to do some administrative work with my User account so I logged in as the Administrator changed my User account Problems Changing Administrator Account To Normal User Account? to an Administrator account went and did my work I then logged back in as Administrator and tried to Problems Changing Administrator Account To Normal User Account? change my User Problems Changing Administrator Account To Normal User Account? account back to a normal user account but it wouldn t let me telling me that I have to have at least Administrator account for me to be able to do this I m not sure why it s telling me that because I still have my Administrator account I logged in as Administrator then went into Control Panel and then User Accounts Then I clicked on quot Change An Account quot Then I clicked on quot User quot Then I clicked on quot Change My Account Type quot But then on this page the quot Limited quot radio button is grayed out and I cannot change it and above it it says quot You must assign another user on this computer with a computer administrator account before you can change this user s account type This ensures that there is always at least one user with a computer administrator account on this computer quot Don t know why I m getting this seeing as how I m logged in as Administrator

A:Problems Changing Administrator Account To Normal User Account?

Nevermind. I figured out how to fix it. Instead of going through Control Panel->User Accounts, I go to Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Computer Management, and I'm able to make the change through there. Not sure why one method works and the other doesn't, but it does!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/93998/problems-changing-administrator-account-to-normal-user-account/
Relevancy 66.22%

I am trying to fix a friends computer that was upgraded to win10 automatically (not sure from what os before). It's an HP laptop and a mess, fixed most issues but can't figure this one.

Start menu... settings... user accounts

On this screen it should show the account settings but it is in an endless loop, the progress bar on the top with the moving circles keeps going and going, for over an hour now sitting on this screen. The screen is blank. It's the "Your Email and Accounts" tab. First in the list.

Is there a known fix for this? Thank you for any help

A:User Account settings screen, in endless loop

I did find some other topics about this problem but no solutions. Only to repair the windows installation. I cannot lose any of the applications installed so this is not an option. I hope there is another solution somewhere.

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/53072-user-account-settings-screen-endless-loop.html
Relevancy 66.22%

So yesterday I found that aero had become disabled To check whether it was a windows problem or a graphics card problem I created another user account and logged into that and aero still worked there confirming that it was a windows user account problem The fix here worked just fine So what I d like to do now is to duplicate copy all of my desktop and program settings to the new user account ie icon placement classic start menu Startup Delayer ShellfolderFix Firefox user to copy to Possible settings Desktop/Program all account? another setting with addons all other program setting etc to have as a sort of backup Why well since I installed a SSD system restore is turned off and my last disk image was months ago Yes I m going to do another one now at some point I must pay for the full version of Macrium Reflect I tried copying all the files except for the ntuser stuff from one account to another which worked to a limited extent but found that none of the program settings had been duplicated all programs Possible to copy all Desktop/Program settings to another user account? were in quot first run quot mode Is this possible Thanks

A:Possible to copy all Desktop/Program settings to another user account?

I don't know why you need Macrium paid version. The new Macrium Reflect Free even comes with WinPE and supports UEFI, GPT and secure boot. I use it as my Windows 8 image backup with USB rescue boot.

The WinPE download is around 300 MB. So you do need bandwidth. But it downloaded to my Laptop in about 15 to 20 minutes.

You can migrate stuff, but Windows isn't as seamless as Linux where you can just link to another mount point for additional storage.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/342632-possible-copy-all-desktop-program-settings-another-user-account.html
Relevancy 66.22%

I'm trying to change the User Account Control Settings in my Standard Account but each time I try User Control Account Problem Settings changing the to do so I'm greeted with the Problem changing the User Account Control Settings message that I quot must be logged in as an administrator to select this setting quot What's puzzling is that I am logged in as an administrator when I try to change the setting but I still see the message I also tried to make the change to the Standard Account directly from the Administrator Account but the option to change the User Account Control Settings is not available I have clicked quot Manage another account quot from within the Administrator Account and clicked the Standard Account icon before trying to doing so There are choices available create a password delete the account etc but not quot change the User Account Control Settings quot In summary I can't make the change from the administrator account or from the Standard account when logged in as the Administrator What am I doing wrong Thank you Nick

A:Problem changing the User Account Control Settings

Hello Nick, and welcome to Seven Forums.

See if you may be able to use either option in the tutorial below to change your UAC settings. You'll need to be logged in as an administrator to be able to do though.

User Account Control - UAC - Change Notification Settings

Hope this helps for now,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/321512-problem-changing-user-account-control-settings.html
Relevancy 66.22%

I diabled UAC today because I wanted to delete some files. However, it didn't work so I went back and tried to click on UAC to enable it again, but I can't. The UAC window doesn't pop up. All it does is give a small flash on the screen, if you know what I mean. Help please!
I also created a new account but I couldn't access UAC either. I restarted my computer 2 times already. What do I do?
I'm on my only account, which is administrator.

A:Can't access or open User Account Controls settings

Lee, welcome to Sevenforums!

Try this: SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker

Then try again to turn it on: User Account Control - UAC - Change Notification Settings

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/245827-cant-access-open-user-account-controls-settings.html
Relevancy 65.79%

I've looked for a straightforward from "Cloning" a (Win Settings 10) User User - Account Prototype answer to this and the searches I done can't find this This concerns a Win User Accounts on both a single PC and multiple PC's that "Cloning" User Settings from a Prototype User Account - (Win 10) are not in a Domain These are all quot local quot User Accounts These PC's are highly secured no quot cloud quot accounts quot OneDrive quot deinstalled disabled both in Win and Office PC's are identical hardware and are being loaded from a master disk image The only differences should be a PC name b Windows Key c MAC addresses I'm setting up several User Accounts from a quot prototype quot Account and would like to copy the user quot settings quot all all of them quot Settings quot means For Win - Desktop configuration Personalization File Explorer options File Sharing options on a quot base quot Win disk image For Office xx - All quot settings quot except for quot Personalize your copy of MS Office quot on a quot base quot MS Office xx disk image For other software on a quot base quot MS Office xx other AKA quot Full-load quot disk image I'm assuming a bad thing to do that the needed info resides in The Registry in a HK Current User b HK Users Each User's AppData To do this are there Copy Paste from the Registry AppData procedures Commercial Open Source tools to do this Thanks

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/55207-cloning-user-settings-prototype-user-account-win-10-a.html
Relevancy 65.36%

I run windows xp and have user accounts for myself my wife and the children Both my wife s account and mine are set as administrators This morning both my wife and I logged on to our accounts and all was fine We then logged off and shut down the PC This afternoon my wife logged on and her entire account has Wife's default to and user account settings!? restored wiped been wiped None of her settings or documents are there The language had changed back to US meaning the keyboard typed like a US one which it did when we first installed windows XP her outlook was not configured the IE webpage was not set to the homepage she created all docs gone from my documents folder It was as if the account had just been created When she first logged in a small grey box came up on the top left of the screen that said something like quot trying to connect to quot or quot searching for quot and then a larger grey box came in the middle and she cannot remember what this said She was worried it was some sort of virus so after a few minutes of nothing happening and trying to log into her email which asked for outlook to be set up she shut down Both my account and the kids accounts have all their settings Wife's user account wiped and restored to default settings!? as they should All my wife s docs have gone but all shared docs still remain We Wife's user account wiped and restored to default settings!? have an up to date version of Kaspersky and I just completed a full system scan and it didn t find anything Biggest concern is that all emails and documents have been lost on my wife s account I know she should have backed up but the question is why has this happened and how can we find all the docs etc that must be there somewhere I ve tried to google this but have found no similar problems Please help nbsp

A:Wife's user account wiped and restored to default settings!?

Can you find her profile folder?

Go to C:\Documents and Settings\ as the administrator and try to see if her user name is listed as a folder there.

Then report back here.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wifes-user-account-wiped-and-restored-to-default-settings.1003574/
Relevancy 64.93%

Hello,

I started my desktop computer and the desktop was blank. All my files from the desktop and from my user folder have been moved to C:\Users\DH (DH is the name of my account). All the settings in my account are deleted. For example I can't access to my Outlook and so on.

It seems that the computer somehow destroyed my account (account settings) and moved my data from user folders (Documents, Downloads etc.) to C:\Users\DH.

Is there any way how to get back to my normal account? Right now I am in my account, but the account just simply is not there.

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/46607-my-account-settings-removed-my-data-user-folders-moved-toc-users.html
Relevancy 64.93%

Hi Extra User account s in Windows Pro I have Windows User Extra account Pro [SOLVED] 7 only user account in Windows Professional me set to auto log on never a problem it always boots directly to my desktop Sometimes I make a change that requires log off and log on again After I log off and when the log on screen appears [SOLVED] Extra User account Windows 7 Pro I have users to choose from My User Account me with full administrative rights and a nd account named quot Other User quot If I click on my account everything loads fine If I click on quot Other User quot it prompts me for a password I never created another user account If I go to Control Panel User Accounts and click quot Manage another account quot it only shows me quot Administrator quot amp Guest quot Guest account is off quot Here's a list of the folders under C Users Administrator Me Default HomeGroupUser Public UpdatusUser note quot Other User quot isn't listed under C Users Can I safely delete any of the extra users under C Users Sorry for the lengthy thread thanks for your time bill nj

A:[SOLVED] Extra User account Windows 7 Pro

I believe this is what you are looking to do:

a. Go to Start.
b. Type “gpedit.msc” without the quotes and press enter.
c. Go to Computer Configuration / Windows Settings / Security Settings / Local Policies / Security Options.
d. In the right-hand pane double click the policy: Interactive logon: Do not display last user name. This security setting determines whether the name of the last user to log on to the computer is displayed in the Windows logon screen.
e. Select and set the radio button of Disabled.
f. Click Apply and click OK.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-extra-user-account-windows-7-pro-954681.html
Relevancy 64.07%

Can anybody tell me how to reset the user account logon information?
Specifically, When on the Logon Screen ther is information pertaining to the Users Unread Email Information. I have changed to a new email address (because of SPAM) and it still shows "XXX unread mail messages, x programs running" under a Users name. I would like to change so it sees the new email account and reflects accurate number of unread messages. Any suggestions?

Thx

A:Solved: User Account Logon Information Windows XP

Have a look here, it may involve a bit of registry editing, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q304148/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-user-account-logon-information-windows-xp.362773/
Relevancy 63.64%

We have this image installed on about 7 laptops and they are all having the same issue. The issue is that, the user logs into the Win XP laptop which is on a domain, changes her desktop picture, changes her screen res and moves her desktop icon in different places. After the user logs off and logs back in the setting revert back to the default settings. I have checked the defalut user NT USER file and it is not .man. Does anyone have any ideas.

Thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-windows-not-keeping-the-user-profile-settings.715792/
Relevancy 63.64%

completes starting up
completes preparing network connections
Logon screen flashes(set to remember password)
hangs at loading personal settings.
How do I get in to switch user accounts? How do I get in period?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-windows-2000-hanging-at-loading-user-account.370607/
Relevancy 63.64%

OK is it possible to set a windows user account to automatically sign in when I power up my system

A:Solved: Auto sign in windows user account on power-up

Disregard, I was thinking we were in the X threads.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-auto-sign-in-windows-user-account-on-power-up.828555/
Relevancy 63.64%

I am using Windows 7 Pro 64x and apparently the default user account (Owner) that I use is not working correctly. Unless I have UAC set to Never Notify, I cannot open Control Panel or UAC again. I have created a second user account as Administrator and it works correctly.

I would like to know if there is any way to fix this problem short of a clean install of Windows. If not, is it possible to move all of my settings to the user account that works correctly and delete the one that does not.

Thanks

A:Solved: Default User Account (Administrator) acts like Standard Account

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-default-user-account-administrator-acts-like-standard-account.1024887/
Relevancy 63.21%

My mom is running xp.
She had 2 accounts, one called administrator, the other called guest.

I created a new account for myself to day, made it an admin account and now the one she was using, called administrator will not let us access it. All of her files and stuff are in that account.

When we start up the computer, it only shows mine and the guest account.
HELP please!
How can I re-access it? VERY VERY important I be able to recover this for her.
Thanks for your help!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-help-created-user-account-lost-moms-account.1002927/
Relevancy 63.21%

Hi Guys I work on a Service Desk at load settings XP fails profile Solved: Windows to user the NHS We Solved: Windows XP profile fails to load user settings seem to be having a problem and no-one knows why it is happening and i m determined to get to the bottom of it When ever these particular users logon to the domain XP won t load their profile settings email settings desktop icons etc It does seem to load some of the profile as it doesn t display the quot corrupt profile quot or quot unable to load profile quot error message but it won t load any documents or applications settings so the user gets an empty My Documents folder and an empty desktop I have tried recreating the profile and copying over the settings which does seem to resolve the issue for a while but eventually the problem occurs again So far there are only users having this problem But there seems to be no fix We ve even tried reinstalling Windows on the PC but eventually the profile begins to fail I d love to be the guy to show everyone how to resolve this proble Does anyone have any ideas nbsp

A:Solved: Windows XP profile fails to load user settings

Run eventvwr.msc and look at both the System and Application logs for repeating errors.

Have a look for the errors referenced in this article and if you see any, install the User Profile Hive Cleanup service.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...6D-8912-4E18-B570-42470E2F3582&displaylang=en
MIght be worth installing even if you are not seeing those specific errors.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-windows-xp-profile-fails-to-load-user-settings.886528/
Relevancy 62.78%

Everytime i start my computer, its does not go right into windows, but to the user log-in screen (only got 1 account). Anyone know how to make it directly go in to windows?

A:[SOLVED] Making WinXP Go directly into windows instead of The User Account screen

Quote:

Originally Posted by 123456789

Everytime i start my computer, its does not go right into windows, but to the user log-in screen (only got 1 account). Anyone know how to make it directly go in to windows?

i believe it is under services, not sure exactly tho.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-making-winxp-go-directly-into-windows-instead-of-the-user-account-screen-226327.html
Relevancy 62.78%

"Your online id could not be linked with your windows user account .Access is denied"

I have been getting error 80070005 when trying to log in to Live Messenger.

I followed a "fix" at http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/Logon/code/code_80070005.htm but this has not fixed the problem.

When I go to the User Accounts in Control Panel it's a blank square when saying "Manage another Account"

My gut feeling is it's a permissions issue.

Cannot delete a test account i created. If I delete it it reappears on Welcome Screen!

Can't do Restore so I'm stuck

A:Solved: "Your online id could not be linked with your windows user account .Access is

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-your-online-id-could-not-be-linked-with-your-windows-user-account-access-is.859536/
Relevancy 62.35%

Hi Guys One of our staff to User Solved: Account - User Deleted Guest - File Type Changing PC has a problem the scenarios Specs Alias Names -Company Name Contoso -Staff PC under Domain Alpha -PC Name Contoso -PC -Local Users are administrators and john Solved: Changing User Account Type - User to Guest - File Deleted -User profiles gt operations contoso domain gt john local gt administrator local -MS Outlook connected to email protected Thursday IT remove uninstall chat messengers blocked linkedin facebook twitter youtube change User Account Type Local Staff John Doe from User to Guest I change the type from User Accounts gt Properties gt Group Membership gt Others gt Guest shutdown the system Friday turn on the PC and staff asks for the correct username provides the username Contoso -PC john staff login to his local account using his password Saturday staff called and his desktop files are gone and document files are gone IT check the Users folder there are particular folders john and john contoso -pc both folders empty outlook not connected account is totally FRESh IT check on webmail under Domain Alpha not working the usual password webmail contoso com owa after an hour the usual password works IT tried to connect MS outlook using email protected not working saying quot outlook pst is not offline file quot PROBLEM files are gone Totally FRESh account I don t know what happen guys please help the FIles are gone Hoping your best solution THanks nbsp

A:Solved: Changing User Account Type - User to Guest - File Deleted

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-changing-user-account-type-user-to-guest-file-deleted.1102921/
Relevancy 61.92%

Suddenly, the Windows 7 doesn't allow me to access my Admin Account and showing error msg (The User Profile Service service failed to Logon). I am left with only the Guest Account with limited access.
I tried copying the cmd.exe, using Fix It Program, login through Safe Mode but all didn't work.
Would anyone help pls?
HMK

A:The User Profile (Administrator Account) Service failed to logon and then left with only Guest Account in Windows 7

Hi,

Occasionally, Windows might not read your user profile correctly, such as if your antivirus software is scanning your computer while you try to log on.
Please try restarting your computer and logging on with your user account again.

If the issue still persists, please restart in safe mode to log on with the built-in administrator account:
1. Restart your computer and hit F8 multiples times until you see a menu-like screen, if you see the Windows splash screen then repeat this step
2. Highlight and hit enter on Safe Mode with Command Prompt. Try logging in there.
3. If you are able to login, once a command prompt pops up, type: net user administrator password /active:yes (you can specify whatever password you want for the administrator
account.)
4. If you get a message saying "The command completed successfully", then restart your computer by typing: shutdown -r
5. Boot up again pressing F8, but this time choose just Safe Mode.
6. You will be able to login as Administrator with the password you set in Step 3.

Then try the following methods:
Method 1: Fix these user account profile on these computer

Method 2: Log on to Windows and copy your data to a new account
Method 3: Delete the error SID and create a new profile
For the detailed information, please refer to this article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215Karen Hu
TechNet Community Support

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/7389c4fb-18f4-43a9-b827-64581ddfff06/the-user-profile-administrator-account-service-failed-to-logon-and-then-left-with-only-guest?forum=w7itprosecurity
Relevancy 61.49%

Hey,

Am having a problem in safe mode and in normal bootup that when i login to danny account i get blue screen of death, but on my account its ok and starts up ok.

Have tried to stop everything in my account in msconfig and then login to danny but does not work.

Any idea?

Thank you

A:Solved: Blue screen one user user account

Sounds like its corrupted
try this from safe mode tap F8 a few times

How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile in Windows XP

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-blue-screen-one-user-user-account.828946/
Relevancy 61.49%

Guys I have done this in the past but cannot recall how and don't want to botch.

I had hoped Windows 10 corrected the "rename user account" function but nope. I renamed a User Account due to conflict on the LAN [same name, same spelling] and sure enough, now I have two names for the account, one a slightly hidden original name, and permissions issues. To rid it, I will create an all new Administrator account, move everything over, and demolish the old.
How to do? the docs/files are easy... the settings for apps etc are not as I recall

thx

A:Move/copy-paste User Account data & docs to New User account same sys

Don't even try would be my recommendation.

Make a new Admin account and copy your documents. Set everything else up from scratch.

Most applications will store their stuff in %localappdata% but unless you have some specific app (Windows Live Mail or Outlook or something) tht you must move it would be much better not to try to move things.

If there is something specifically you want to move then ask about that - I've moved the 2 I mention above, for sure someone else has moved something else.

Generally it will be quicker (and cleaner) to start from scratch than trawl though everything hoping to make sure you moved the lot. You'll only end up missing some odd directory and it will not work.

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/40321-move-copy-paste-user-account-data-docs-new-user-account-same-sys.html
Relevancy 61.49%

I tried to see Skype Video on Windows Huge mistake It asked me for a Windows Account I just finished understanding what Google Account means I happened to have a Windows Account I can't New account log Windows local changed my Account User in entered it and it accepted it It then asked that I must also change the password that I use for my profile on my desktop I obliged and sacrificed my simple password as it required a strong password New Windows Account changed my local User account can't log in So now I have a Windows password and my strong user profile password I rebooted Big headache for the past two hours Neither passwords worked to let me in my profile which has Administrator privilege New Windows Account changed my local User account can't log in I logged in as Administrator went to Control Panel Users accounts hoping that being logged in as Local Admin I can change the password of my profile I can see my profile user account but there is no way to change its password only to delete or change to ordinary user I changed my Windows account password via my mobile Still I can't log in to my profile Would somebody kindly help or should I just dump Windows and move on to Mac

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/53048-new-windows-account-changed-my-local-user-account-cant-log.html
Relevancy 61.49%

Hello Since I bought this computer I've had issues I started by creating a user with my personal email address but then thought I wanted it for work so I deleted the Microsoft account associated Windows Account/Microsoft Issues... Account 8 User with that email and created another with Windows 8 User Account/Microsoft Account Issues... my work email However I've noticed that Windows 8 User Account/Microsoft Account Issues... some of the apps aren't working correctly and needed to use my personal email again For awhile Microsoft accounts wouldn't allow deleted accounts from coming back but it appears it's working now So now I have a Microsoft account with my personal email address but the primary user on my PC is still associated with the work Microsoft account I can't find a way to change this and it's causing problems since that email doesn't exist anymore Is there any way to change the Microsoft account that's associated Windows 8 User Account/Microsoft Account Issues... with a single user The only other thing I could think of would be to create a new user promote to admin and swap everything over manually before completely removing the user associated with my old work email I tried this but when attempting to log into the new user it says quot cannot login please visit accounts live com to fix the issue quot However whenever I go there and log into the new users account there's no instruction on what to do or any indication that there's something wrong So I need to be able to do one of two things Switch the Microsoft account associated with the primary user on this PC or Find out how to log into the new user's account without any issue Please help -Joshua

A:Windows 8 User Account/Microsoft Account Issues...

As far as the Metro Apps go, I'd try uninstalling them and then reinstalling them.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/31077-windows-8-user-account-microsoft-account-issues.html
Relevancy 61.06%

I need to add another standard user. I have one admin account and one standard user.

After adding the second standard account name and password on Control Panel
I get the confirmation that the new user can now sign in.

However,I get this famous message that the profile service cannot open.

I looked into C:users and find
Default.migrated
Public
Administrator
First standard user

But not the newly created user account. Nor can I find it in the Registry ProfileService.

Why does Window lye to me saying the new user account is available but it did not create it?

A:Added user account Windows does not create user profile

Did you sign out of your account and then try to sign in to the new one?
The new user folder won't be created until you sign in and set up the account.

User Account - Add a New User in Windows 8

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/41690-added-user-account-windows-does-not-create-user-profile.html
Relevancy 60.63%

I have a Vista 32 system that has some corruption. Several things like the NET v2.0 framework do not work correctly and it does not do a Windows update without an error. Basically, I know some corruption must exist in the registry.

I have a new drive that I restored a backup from way back when the system was working OK. Naturally there are programs and files that need to be updated. I will have to reinstall the programs that did not exist on the old backup, but I was hoping I could restore my user account profile "in bulk" without just moving individual files. Is there anything wrong with deleting the whole content of the restored user account profile and replacing it with my present profile?

A:replacing a restored user account from backup with present user account

You could use Windows Easy Transfer, I will be back with more information.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

You can also, just back up your files etc and then restore them to the new account.

You have to be careful with anything that you do, to be sure that the corruption is not transferred.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/271710-replacing-restored-user-account-backup-present-user-account.html
Relevancy 60.63%

My folders and files in C:/users/myname/ can be viewed and accessed from the Guest user account. How do I stop this?

A:Files in my user account can be accessed from guest user account in VISTA

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/files-in-my-user-account-can-be-accessed-from-guest-user-account-in-vista.805452/
Relevancy 60.63%

I am trying to create a non admin user account, which I know how to do the simple way, however I have been using the admin user account for a while now however I want to transfer/copy program setting, etc to this knew user account.

so I want to: create a non admin user account which is duplicate of the current existing admin account but from her on to install software etc I install under admin account.

I am using Vista too

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
David Lambie

A:How do I copy existing admin user account to normal user account

I would
> Create the new profile with admin privileges
> Transfer stuff things to the new profile (see here)
> Then remove admin privilege from the new account

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-i-copy-existing-admin-user-account-to-normal-user-account.146098/
Relevancy 60.63%

Is there a fix for Unlocking AD User Account in Windows7 so I do not I have to use WindowsXP AD to unlock the User Account?  Is there a fix and/or update for fixing this problem?
Your help will ge greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Fred

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ebba5cb6-70f2-44e2-b1dd-6b0bc19de52f/is-there-a-fix-for-unlocking-ad-user-account-in-windows7-so-i-do-not-i-have-to-use-windowsxp-ad-to?forum=w7itprohardware
Relevancy 60.63%

I am having a great deal of difficulty with user accounts: 1. Settings>Accounts>Sign-in Options goes absolutely nowhere.

2. Control Panel>User Accounts>Manage your credentials returns the following error.
Error code: 0x80070425
Error message: The service cannot accept control messages at this time.

3. Trying to reinstall from Media Creation Tool returns the following message.
Error code: 0x800704dd - 0x90016
There doesn't seem to be any problems running anything else.

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/35758-user-account-problems.html
Relevancy 60.63%

Hello I have three user accounts on my pc me administrator my son Limited the missus administrator I have just installed a game on the pc on my account I have played the game myself and created a player profile However when my son runs the game within his Account he can't create User account problems a player profile it says 'cannot create a player profile with the name ' therefore he can't play the game my profile is shown but I do not want him playing on my profile obviously im mean like that Please help Also on another game that he started playing on my windows account he can't LOAD his saved game when on his windows account it is just not there even though there is a saved game on my account I have looked for the save game file but it is there no matter what account is running anyway I think this thread belongs User account problems in the XP forum not the games forum Thankyou very much Nube

A:User account problems

Quote:

However, when my son runs the game within his Account, he can't create a player profile...(it says 'cannot create a player profile with the name ####')

Its possible he cannot create a player account as he is a limited user.

Quote:

Also on another game that he started playing on my windows account...he can't LOAD his saved game when on his windows account....it is just not there...even though there is a saved game on my account.

He needs to load this from within the account it was saved/created on

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/user-account-problems-127231.html
Relevancy 60.63%

I've created a guest account on my PC (no adm. priviliges)

When I open the Media Player in the guest account, the library is empty, can't

figure out how to load music files.

Any suggestions?

A:WMP or User Account Problems ??

My guess is because all of the music files are located under the "My" folders under another account, and the guest account can't access them.

I have never stored any of my user data on the C volume for reasons very similar to this. I would think if you had a second drive, such as D, and stored your music there, you could point WMP to that location under the guest account and have access to the files.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/213498-wmp-user-account-problems.html
Relevancy 60.63%

I am having a great deal of difficulty with user accounts: 1. Settings>Accounts>Sign-in Options goes absolutely nowhere.

2. Control Panel>User Accounts>Manage your credentials returns the following error.
Error code: 0x80070425
Error message: The service cannot accept control messages at this time.

3. Trying to reinstall from Media Creation Tool returns the following message.
Error code: 0x800704dd - 0x90016
There doesn't seem to be any problems running anything else.

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/35758-user-account-problems.html
Relevancy 60.63%

Hello I wanted to add a limited user account to my pc So I went through all the steps and thought I had done it correctly Then I added password protection to my administrator account Here's the problem When I started my pc today the only account available to log in to was the new user's account So I logged on and checked the account settings and the new user's account is now listed as the administrator and it is not password protected My previous background is gone all of the files I had on my desktop are not there when I logged onto the internet it was like I was using firefox for the first time and all favorites and bookmarks are gone Now while changes user problems account = logged in to the new user I created that is listed as administrator when I go into my computer it says that I am trying to access hidden files or something I clicked that user account changes = problems yes I wanted access then I clicked on documents and settings In that folder are more folders administrator all users and the new user I created When I go into administrator I have access to everything as normal When I go into the new user I created there is nothing there no list of programs in the desktop folder no list of favorites nothing in my documents but sample pics and sample music and just the basics user account changes = problems in the start up folder When I go into all users the desktop folder has some programs in it but there is still nothing in the favorites Any ideas on what I did wrong and how to get it back to normal would be greatly appreciated thank you

A:user account changes = problems

Have you checked the folders in the administrators profile?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/user-account-changes-problems-383009.html
Relevancy 60.63%

I am trying to change the User Accounts on Windows Vista, but for some reason when I try viewing the other accounts, no icons or users show up. Instead there's a white box with nothing inside. As a result, I can't add or change any user accounts.

Does anyone have any idea on how to fix this problem? Do I need to use some sort of Windows repair?

Please help!

P.S. I've added an image of what the screen shows.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/help-user-account-problems-188473.html
Relevancy 60.63%

Hi This is my first visit to TSG and hope someone can help I use a shared computer with multiple user accounts I have just logged on using my user Problems Account User account and it appears as a new user account going through User Account Problems registration process etc the quot my documents quot folder does User Account Problems not contain all of my exisiting files amp folders however I can find them in internet explorer There seems to be another user folder now visible my user name was quot name quot and the folders are all still under that name the user account however seems to browse to a new folder called quot name NAME- C B D quot and there are also TEMP folders created with the same suffix Does anyone have any experience of this and know of a way of linking my user account back to the original folders and settings Or even to create a new user account but link it to the original folders and settings Help appreciated nbsp

A:User Account Problems

No one come across a similar problem then?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-account-problems.996654/
Relevancy 60.63%

Hi First I realise this is a long post but I hope its thorough I have a problem with my user account I am of two users of my problems Account User computer the other being my wife When I set the computer up Windows XP I set up me as the Administrator account But whenever I User Account problems try to do things like tweak my Startup and Services options in msconfig I get a message that essentially says quot access denied error was returned while attempting to change a service You may need to log on as administrator quot As far as I know I AM the administratorand the only I set up my wife is just a user I checked that I am the admin by going into user accounts via control panel and there I am listste as Administrator I only have this problem in msconfig and only started recently Also it then accepts the changes and when I check the check box not to remind me I am using selected services the next time I boot up It tells me again I have read similar threads in here and asked the same question on microsoft site yet nothing works I cant believe I have a problem no one can solve Everywhere I look on my PC home xp by the way it tells me I am the admin but this little bug says I am not yet lets me amend my system I appreciate its not the end of the world but well you know I might also mention I have Norton Internet security running which seems to at the root of several other problems I have been having Thanks for reading this and I hope someone can help nbsp

A:User Account problems

I might also mention I have Norton Internet security running which seems to at the root of several other problems I have been havingClick to expand...

You have identified the problem . . . NIS will prevent some system changes . . I uninstall it whenever I encounter it

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-account-problems.549273/
Relevancy 60.63%

Hopefully someone will be able to help me here,

I've recently reinstalled Windows and when it came to ask for an account name, I wrote TOm by mistake and didn't check if before changing the name.

So I tried to change the name to Tom, but it says something about it being the same name, so I changed it from TOm > User > Tom. But now it treats this account as Tom_2. Like when I open command prompt, the text shown is C:\Users\Tom_2\

It's really annoying, I've got a right mess with Firefox settings pointing to the wrong download folder as well and not willing to change because apparently they are the same thing.

How can I fix all of this?

And if it isn't fixable, is there an easy way to transfer my files, programs and settings from one account to another?

Thanks,

Tom

A:User account problems

Hey buddy,
I would try two things. Change the name to something really different, then try Tom, again.
If that does not work, you can transfer all but programs with Windows Easy Transfer.
and there is this.

Can you transfer between accounts on the same PC? - Windows 7 Forums

Good luck, buddy

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/292598-user-account-problems.html
Relevancy 60.63%

the computer i'm using has a few accounts and a couple of problems have arisen one of them is the quot Welcome quot screen the wallpaper and screensaver settings have been set to the same as my account settings for the most part the screensaver type's the same but the account problems user settings user account problems are at the default i want to know how to get the computer to use a different account's display settings as i'm using a family computer the second problem's with the quot Switch User quot option it was working fine for a while but then something happened which i don't know about and the switch users button's broken a bit it'll keep the user logged on as the welcome screen appears but attempting to choose another account will show the default wallpaper for a second then the quot Welcome quot wallpaper then it'll show the user accounts again it's been rather annoying especially since people have been wanting to go on for a few minutes and it means signing out any help would be highly appreciated

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/user-account-problems-281623.html
Relevancy 60.63%

Hey guys wondering if anyone would be able to help me out. Heres the problem: When I installed my copy of windows XP I did not create any users, and when I started the computer it automatically logged me into an account called administrator without requiring me to login. But when I was setting up remote desktop I needed a user account with a password, so I created an account called John with administrator privelages and a password. Now when I turn on my computer I get the login screen with only the John account as a choice. I cannot at all find out how to sign into my administrator account (the original one) and I would really not like not lose all my settings. My documents were not lost because I can get to them by going through my C: drive so I know the user account is still present somewhere...

Thanks in advance for any responses,

John

Relevancy 60.63%

I log onto the computer as the administrator, lmadmin (Local Machine Administrator)

I add a user to the computer.

When i log out, i can log back in as this user.

But when i restart the computer, i can no longer log in as this user, and when i log back into lmadmin, the user i created is gone.

This has been bothering me for weeks....what's the problem?

Thanks in advance.

PS I have Windows XP Professional

Relevancy 59.77%

I have a second hand gateway laptop that came installed with Windows Vista. I accidentally deleted the guest account from computer. Its been a year since I discovered windows discovery.
1.Will it be possible to use windows recovery to restore the guest account?
So I decided to create a new account by turning off the User Account Control and it worked. I am however experiencing problems,
2. I am unable to download, internet explorer or google chrome. I am currently using firefox but would prefer the other two. I made the new account the administrator and the old one limited.
3. The recently opened programs and pin programs are not showing regardless to how many times I open different programs, is there a way I could fix this?
Hope this is enough details, the laptop didn't come with a recovery disk.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

A:User Account Problems with Vista

Welcome
I do not understand the correlation between deleting a Guest Account and your other problems
You may be able to perform all the functions that you desire with the real adminstrator
Administrator Account
If you can, set up the System the way you want and then create a new adminstrator account and you should have all your functions restored.

You may, also, be able to set up a normal Adminstrator account, first, in the regular manner, and all functions should be restored for that account. You may want to try this solution before using the hidden administrator.

With Gateway, it is also possible to restore to factory defauts with the restoration partition
http://support.gateway.com/s/softwar...ge01su44.shtml

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/291791-user-account-problems-vista.html
Relevancy 59.77%

Hey everyone I have two issues with the Windows problems XP Two user account MAJOR user accounts that I can t Two MAJOR XP user account problems seem to fix This is an XP Media Center with SP I deleted an old user account with the standard control panel Two MAJOR XP user account problems method The limited account doesn t appear on the login screen anymore After that I went and deleted that old accounts files from the quot Documents and Settings quot folder However when I logged back on the files had rebuilt themselves back to the original setup but the account was still deleted This has been going on for about a month now and I have tried deleting it several more times but it always rebuilds Another one of my accounts seems to be having issues I am unable to change the wallpaper Two MAJOR XP user account problems or most other GUI aspects even though it confirms that it has happened Oddly I can change the basic Windows theme part of the GUI but when I log out switch users or turn of the computer the system changes the setup back to the original Windows K GUI Any ideas on either of these issues would be a great help Thanks Edit Actually quot Switch User quot saves the Windows GUI setting but quot Log out quot doesn t nbsp

A:Two MAJOR XP user account problems

For both of these issues I would suggest running a malware and virus scan on the computer as soon as possible. If you have previously deleted the files and they are reappearing when you log back into the computer they are being reloaded from the Pre-Fetch typically by another software program. When you are deleting them from the Documents and Settings folder, are you also removing them from the Recycle Bin or are they staying there?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/two-major-xp-user-account-problems.803032/
Relevancy 59.77%

Hello everyone I had to reformat Problems User Group Account the HDD as we had a virus and since I dont believe in wasting time trying to chase them all over the registry and other areas of windows I User Account Group Problems just reformat So I had a perfectly clean system and literally a week after or less Windows started playing up with the administrator and user accounts first it didnt display any other user than Administrator then after frowning I ran the control userpasswords command and it refused me entry even if I hit enter for Administrator access as i hadnt allocated User Account Group Problems a pwd for it so I tried to access as me and entered my password and it kept saying that I wasnt in that user group for administrators I decided to log off and to my horror none of the users appeared on the welcome screen and I couldnt ctrl alt del to access either i restarted and all was the same I had down loaded a movie a few days ago no not one of them kind I never trusted them it was a pink floyd live at pompeii divx file about MB so since i had a virus before I guessed it could have been from the movie i got it from limewire so I reformatted again to make sure The problem is that now even with the system clean Windows wont let me allocate a user to another group and states that the group Standard or power user could not be found Its not ultra important but I d like to know why i cant move users from one group to another I m not keen on playing too much but I d like to get to grips with this part of the system any advice Thanks so much Darren

A:User Account Group Problems

You have had your share of problems lately! Keep your chin up!When you reformatted did you use killdisk? It might help if you did. Also be careful of putting your data back on this machine as you say, the infections could be coming from that.~~~~~~~~~You can run Killdisk to delete everything including any infections. This is a free progam and can be downloaded HERE. Put the program on a floppy disk or a CD.Then run a DOS disk, such as a Windows 98 start up disk, when the computer boots to DOS, type "C:" (without the quotes), push ENTER. Then type "fdisk" (without the quotes), push ENTER, then just push ENTER at each selection that you are prompted to make (in other words, just accept all defaults). You can download what you need HERE.Then reboot with your XP CD in the cd drive and reinstall Windows.Be careful about reinstalling your data as it may contain a virus or other malware.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/46823/user-account-group-problems/
Relevancy 59.77%

I have a second hand gateway laptop that came installed with Windows Vista. I accidentally deleted the guest account from computer. Its been a year since I discovered windows discovery.
1.Will it be possible to use windows recovery to restore the guest account?
So I decided to create a new account by turning off the User Account Control and it worked. I am however experiencing problems,
2. I am unable to download, internet explorer or google chrome. I am currently using firefox but would prefer the other two. I made the new account the administrator and the old one limited.
3. The recently opened programs and pin programs are not showing regardless to how many times I open different programs, is there a way I could fix this?
Hope this is enough details, the laptop didn't come with a recovery disk.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

A:User Account Problems with Vista

Why did you turn off UAC ? It has nothing to do with creating accounts.

Both limited accounts and admin accounts should be able to download programs. Do you have a third party firewall ?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-account-problems-with-vista.1010501/
Relevancy 59.77%

When I open user profile accounts under control panel, it only shows 6 accounts.When I open user profiles under My computer/system properties/advanced, it shows 7 profiles, one called account unknown. Interestingly the memory used (gigabytes) is exactly the same as one of the known user profiles. Is this normal?Moderaters, if this is in the wrong forum please move it to the correct one.Thanks, Fried OkraI'm using Microsoft Windows XP Home edition Version 2002 Service pak 1. Everytime I've tried to upgrade to service pak2 I've had (more) problems with my computer.EDIT: Moved to more appropriate forum and merged posts ~ stevealmighty

A:User Account Profile Problems

fried okra,

This is normal, the "unknown" account is a user account that was on your machine at one time that was deleted (from user profiles in the control panel). You can simply delete the "unknown" account from My computer/system properties/advanced and regain the space it is taking up on your HD.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/110424/user-account-profile-problems/
Relevancy 59.77%

Hey guys, I'm having trouble with my windows xp home edition. I have other people using my computer who are limited account users and im the administrator. I recently downloaded Winamp 3 and on my administrator account I can use it fine but on every limited account they try to use it and get an error screen that doesn't say anything and says send error report or dont send. I'm not sure whats going on but I thinks its something with the sharing and security. I already checked all the folders and they are all on share. Does anyone know whats going on...?

Thanks,
Acrid_Weave

A:Win XP limited account user problems...

right click on the folder and choose the security tab and from there it is self explanitory

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/win-xp-limited-account-user-problems.147066/
Relevancy 59.77%

Hi.

Tried to turn my xp sp3 desktop pc on but can't get past the logon screen. I can move the curser but it wont click on any user name or "turn off computer". The curser stays hand shape no matter where it is on the screen. To add to my woes when I try to start in safe mode (f11 not f8?) I get "enter password"! I have never set a password up and have used safe mode without problems before on this pc. Now i'm stuck. any ideas?

Thanks.

Tony.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/302779/user-account-log-in-screen-problems/
Relevancy 59.77%

To slightly rehash an issue I brought up a few weeks ago I was having problems getting any of my limited user accounts to be able to print The main culprit is an HP Photosmart P hooked up as the local printer to my Windows XP PC By trial and error I was able to fix that problem by going into printer properties clicking on the quot advanced quot header and setting the option not to spool Account Problems User Limited but to print directly to the printer A little later I noticed that this caused another problem This Limited User Account Problems P printer is also used as a network printer to a Windows system hooked in thru a wireless network to the main XP system Prior to changing the printer properties to print directly to the printer there was no problem printing to the network printer from the Windows PC Once the change was made however that is no longer true Now whenever an attempt is made to print to it thru the Windows PC an error comes up indicating that an access code is invalid and asking whether I want to set the printer offline Further investigation led me to a Microsoft Knowledge Base Article which almost sounded identical to my problem I tried their suggestion but it did not work Is anyone familiar with this situation nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/limited-user-account-problems.220774/
Relevancy 59.77%

Dear all,
I am not able to copy files and folders from one drive to another.The Error: cannot copy (the file name). Access denied
Make sure the disk is not full and write protected.

Secondly I am not able to run executable files or programs in my limited account using the 'run as' feature to run the program with administrative privileges. The error shown up is : Windows cannot access the specified device,file or path. You may not have appropriate permissions to access the item

Pls do help me!
Thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/limited-user-account-problems.723560/
Relevancy 59.77%

Got a problem with a laptop I was working Account HDD problems, user format cannot on for someone they got accounts on them one admin one of them is restricted for a child I Account user problems, cannot format HDD was asked if I can remove the user accounts or do a password Account user problems, cannot format HDD recovery The user account is the admin account the restricted child account the PW is known the problem with the Admin account is the password they set for it will not work So I thought Format the entire HDD well apparently this dont work either even when rebooting to booting off the Windows disc it ask for the darn password to the admin account on that to I tried just about everything including trying to trigger the Windows master admin account which is accessed through command prompt that dont work either Their seems to be no work around what so ever to formatting this HDD or reinstalling Windows or since the Child restricted account is the only one accessible it wont allow most programs to run Disc programs not even windows or since it ask for the Admin password Is there a solution to this

A:Account user problems, cannot format HDD

Hello Real Bullet,

This not the first time that you have requested assistance with passwords here at TSF.

This Thread refers.

Please read the TSF Rules regarding password assistance.

Any more requests for similar issues will result in a further infraction, and possible banning from the forums.

This Thread is now CLOSED!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/account-user-problems-cannot-format-hdd-687721.html
Relevancy 59.77%

I run Vista Home Premium and last night I turned on User Account Control without thinking Now I am having all sorts of problems with Vista As soon Problems Control User Account as I turned it on I wanted to immediately turn User Account Control Problems it back off so I went into the START menu and then the CONTROL PANEL From here I typed in quot uac quot into the search box and this screen appeared Then when I click on quot Turn User Account Control UAC on or off quot nothing happens I then went and tried to turn it off through the quot User Accounts quot menu however this is what appeared when I clicked it So now User Account Control Problems I am stuck with the UAC on and I don't know how to turn it off Anytime I try to install new software or try to make changes to a User Account the User Account Control box pops up and asks me to type the Administrator Password and click OK to continue However there is no where to enter the password I cannot get a cursor present anywhere in this box in order to type this password I have tried to insert User Account Control Problems the windows vista disc in order to uninstall everything and then reinstall however the UAC box pops up and doesn't let me continue with this option either Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you

A:User Account Control Problems

Try using msconfig to disable UAC:

Open Run command either by pressing <Windows Key> + R or through Start and type in command in the search
Type in msconfig (you should see the UAC pop up asking whether you wish to continue)
Click the Tools tab. Scroll down till your see Disable UAC. Click on it and press the launch button below.
A command window will open. When that command is done, you can close the window.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/user-account-control-problems-383195.html
Relevancy 59.77%

Hi everyone Ever since the last update of my Windows system I have been experiencing problems with my user account When I click on my account and enter the password I get the message that the computer is quot preparing the desktop quot and afterward I see a neutral background and I get the message that I have been logged into a temporary account In the beginning I just had to restart my machine and I would still be correctly logged in to my own account after - attempts However yesterday it took me about attempts before I finally logged in Does anyone have an idea what's wrong here Since these problems have started I have made a second admin account on my machine just to be sure that I can still log in This second user Problems with logging my account to in account does not show any problems I can log in to this account without issues It Problems with logging in to my user account seems that my pc Problems with logging in to my user account is experiencing problems in finding the Problems with logging in to my user account specific files etc of my own account then I have tried to use the system recovery option but this did not solve the problem My computer is only months old I really hope someone can help me out Many thanks in advance

A:Problems with logging in to my user account

Sounds like a corrupted file. I've seen it happen a few times; the easiest and quickest option is simply to move your user's folders into a new user - just write over the ones already there.

You will still keep all your files and preferences and you can change your username to match your previous account. Then you can just delete the other account.

Couple of things to note: make sure you are viewing hidden files and folders so that it copies the app data folder as well - this contains your user data such as web preferences and things like that.

Also make sure you copy your user folders and paste them into the other user, you don't want to cut them and the computer crashes!

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/253520-problems-logging-my-user-account.html
Relevancy 59.34%

Hi All

My son has just started having problems with his computer, Acer T120E Aspire. When the pc is switched on it boots up as normal, showing the Windows XP home edition winow etc.
When a user account is selected, it does'nt matter which one, it goes through the logging in procedure, showing the 'loading your personal settings' screen. However, after about ten seconds it restarts of its own accord and the cycle is repeated.

This machine, which is about 3 years old has NEVER been connected to the internet, but has had downloaded music saved onto the HDD.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Father and Son

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-account-problems-xp-home-edition.614828/
Relevancy 59.34%

I am assuming this is the correct Forum for this discussion I am using an ASUS laptop which I bought in Here are my system specs Manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer Inc Model ASUS Notebook M Kr Series Processor AMD Turion tm X Mobile Technology TL- GHz Memory GB I am running Windows Home Premium -bit which came preloaded with factory settings User account registry. in possibly problems, Several weeks ago after restarting my computer I logged on to what appeared to be another account within the computer This account had User account problems, possibly in registry. a similar desktop to my normal one with a few folders missing and its version of Firefox had none of my bookmarks or saved passwords There were other differences User account problems, possibly in registry. too such as it didn't User account problems, possibly in registry. remember windows live settings differect text sizes basic display settings etc The background was the same Windows hadn't done this before and after restarting my computer again it reverted to the normal account Since then each time I've turned my computer back on it has logged onto this seperate user account first before logging back onto my original account on following startups I have looked for this answers to this problem but because I could easily overcome it by restarting my computer it didn't bother me much This afternoon however I restarted my computer and it has logged onto the incorrect user account but after restarting logging off it isn't going back to my original account I have only ever had the one user account lets call it quot original quot at least what I think is the original but I understand there are other accounts default asus public etc that lie within the quot C Users quot folder After looking through these folders I have realised the quot C Users Asus quot contains all the app data and desktop icons as I am used to I can't see this quot Asus quot account from the logon screen so basically what I'm asking for help with is logging on as this account and setting it as the default logon account I am also aware this problem could be from errors in the registry or the harddisk I was also wondering if anyone could suggest a good registry checker and a good harddisk checker I will continue to look elsewhere for answers to my problem also but any help you could give me would be deeply appreciated I'm also thinking of buying a new computer because I'm sick of the dramas with this laptop but my natural curiosity is compelling me to figure this all out

A:User account problems, possibly in registry.

Ok, can you open up command prompt:

1. Open the start menu
2. Type cmd
3. Click on command prompt

And then can you type:

net user Asus

And upload a screenshot of all of the displayed details.

Tom

http://www.vistax64.com/crashes-debugging/280088-user-account-problems-possibly-registry.html
Relevancy 59.34%

Hey guys, on my win xp I have multiple accounts set up and they are all limited accounts except for mine cause I'm the account administrator. On my account kazaa works fine and all but when I go to their accounts I open kazaa and and I get an error message saying.. Unable to open C:\Program Files\Kazaa\Db\data1024.dbb . I opened up the kazaa folder and the file is their just kazaa is not opening it for some reason on the limited accounts. Do you know what is happening??

Thanks,
Acrid_Weave

A:Kazaa problems with limited user account on Win xp

I've had that problem to. I assume It's cuz limited users just don't have enough privilages for Kazaa to operate properly. What I'd recommend instead is you download Kazaa-Lite from kazaalite.nl and install with administrator privilages then try running that under limited user accounts. That should work. Download it from kazaalite.nl cuz it comes with hacks like always keep participation level at 1000 and more...

Good luck,

HexStar

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/kazaa-problems-with-limited-user-account-on-win-xp.147251/
Relevancy 59.34%

Hello all I am having problems internet connectivity with my work-assigned laptop I have a new Compaq laptop running on Windows XP problems other user with account connectivity Internet Pro SP it originally came with Windows but our office still runs on XP so they Internet connectivity problems with other user account downgraded the laptop anyway Before the user account that I had was a limited account Whenever I tried connecting to a wireless network other than the one at work I can connect to Internet connectivity problems with other user account the network but I don t get internet access However if I logged into the quot administrator quot account I can connect to the internet I asked support at work if this can be fixed so they made my user account into an admin account yesterday Then I brought the laptop home for the weekend to do some work since I m going to be travelling tomorrow it s already the weekend here in the Pacific So I tried logging on to the wireless network here at home This time my user account is already admin Like before I can connect to the network but still no internet access I can t ask anyone from our work support team since it s already the weekend Can anyone help me out with this problem please Thanks nbsp

A:Internet connectivity problems with other user account

I will move to networking forum

most company machines have a number of policies on the PC and its difficult for us to know that information and make any changes , so we may not be able to fully help here - but lets have a look and see what we can do in a limited way
The company firewall may be the issue - what firewall do you have ?
Would you post back the following
------------------------------------------------------------------------
{ipconfig /all}
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here
We would like to see the results from ipconfig /all post back the results here
-> Start
-> (XP - enter the following in the RUN box)
cmd /k ipconfig /all
-> (Vista or Windows 7 - enter the following in the Search box)
cmd /k ipconfig /all

A black box will appear on the screen -
rightclick in the box
select all
enter
control key + C key - to copy

then reply here and
control key + V to paste
------------------------------------------------------------------------
{Ping Tests}
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here

Start> Run {search bar in Vista}> CMD to open a DOS window and type:

Type the following command
Ping google.com
Post back the results
rightclick in the box
select all
enter
then reply here and
control key + V to paste

Ping {plus the number thats shown against the default gateway shown in above ipconfig /all}
Post back the results
rightclick in the box
select all
enter
then reply here and
control key + V to paste

Ping 209.183.226.152
post back results
rightclick in the box
select all
enter
then reply here and
control key + V to paste

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/internet-connectivity-problems-with-other-user-account.939581/
Relevancy 58.91%

I have a user with a machine that was setup with Win 8.1 Home. The machine has been upgraded to 8.1 Pro and joined to a domain (WinSrv 2003). I need to get the conten/configuration from their old local machine user profile to their new domain user profile. I tried to copy the contents of their ../users/<name>/.. folder from the local user profile to the new domain user profile (after they had logged in once, and then logged off). This did not work. When I did the copy, I grabbed all files, including hidden...was that my mistake, or is the issue broader?

In the end....they want their old stuff and configuration under their new credentials/profile.

Thanks!

-Nick

A:Merge Domain User Account with Local User Account

There are 4 conventional ways of accomplishing this task.

Option 1: Simply copy My Documents, Favorites, Desktop items from one to the other. You will have to setup program options again, may or may not be a big deal

Option 2: Use the Windows Easy Transfer option. Explained here. Vista & Win7 local to domain profile migration

Option 3: Use the Copy To Feature in User Profiles, explained here: Copy a user profile. The steps are outlined for different versions of Windows, but they work the same in Windows 8.

Option 4: Use the User State Migration Tool. User State Migration Tool 4.0 User's Guide. Here is a link to a video on using the USMT. User State Migration Tool in Windows 7 - Install | TechNet

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/52778-merge-domain-user-account-local-user-account.html
Relevancy 58.91%

I have a Dell XPS 9100 with Windows 7 Prof. I am using the user account made during the initial bootup of the new computer, to make the desired settings and adding software installations. However after I finish with the initial tweaking, I will reduce the account privileges from Administrator to Standard user level. However, before I change the account level, I will make another user account with administrator user level.

Is there a way to have the new user account have the same settings as the initial user account when it is Simimade, such as copying, etc? I am not looking forward to manually making all of the sames changes/settings that I have made in the initial bootup user account, to the new user account with administrator privileges.

I would very much appreciate any suggestions regarding the above. Thanks Sam

A:Creating a New User Account Similar to an Existing User Account

Hello Scams,

About as close as you can get to this would be to create a new administrator account with the name you like, then copy all of the contents of the old user account's C:\Users\(user-name) folders (including hidden AppData folder) into the corresponding new account's C:\Users\(user-name) folder. After everything checks out ok, you can delete the old user account while logged in the new user account.

It will copy most of your settings, like your Start Menu shortcuts, to the new account, but items stored in the registry, like your desktop background, would have to be reset again.

Hope this helps some,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/114431-creating-new-user-account-similar-existing-user-account.html
Relevancy 58.91%

hi

how can it be?

a standar user turns the pc on, goes to her account and turns the general volume down and then turns the pc off

i go later turn the pc on , go to my account and i have the volume down too

why???????????????????

A:1 user account urns down the volume and my user account gets affected

That is how Windows seems to work. I have three users on my system, and if I adjust the volume with one, the other two are affected. I did find this: How do I keep individual user volume settings on my computer?

Maybe it will help you. I will also ask others to take a look.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/238773-1-user-account-urns-down-volume-my-user-account-gets-affected.html