Windows Support Forum

External drives (e.g. iPod, external memory device) not working

Q: External drives (e.g. iPod, external memory device) not working

I am new to this forum and to posting tech questions online in general so hopefully I can describe what s going on accurately My computer has had no problems to iPod, External device) memory drives working (e.g. external not speak of lately I had not synced my iPod nano in some time maybe a month or two so I plugged it in yesterday to sync it I received the following message quot iTunes has detected an iPod that appears to be corrupted You may need to restore this iPod before it External drives (e.g. iPod, external memory device) not working can be used with External drives (e.g. iPod, external memory device) not working iTunes quot I have since discovered the problem has nothing to do with External drives (e.g. iPod, external memory device) not working the iPod itself The iPod plays all the music and podcasts that are currently on it just fine When I plug it into my girlfriend s computer her iTunes recognizes it just fine as my iPod and I was able to pull videos off of it I am now pretty certain the problem is with my USB drives I have an external memory drive that I use to back up documents - I had not used this in some time either Out of curiosity I plugged it in and it s not working either When I plug it in and turn it on nothing pops up and when I try to do certain actions to check on it like open My Computer the system freezes and I end up having to manually shut down the computer and restart I have gone through several threads on various forums and tried almost everything but nothing has resolved this issue Some threads suggested that plugging in certain devices can mess up your USB drives like this and a few weeks ago I did plug my girlfriend s printer into one of my USBs - I did get it to work but things were a little screwy with it so I m wondering if somehow that did something Other than that I can t think of anything else that has changed since the last time everything worked So far I have tried changing the drive letter on the iPod I have tried cleaning up my USB drives by using drivecleanup exe I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drives through Device Manager and I tried restoring my computer to a time when everything was working - none of this has fixed the problem and I m now at a loss Also FYI it s not easy for me to reinstall my operating system I have Windows XP Professional Service Pack because I purchased my computer from a custom dealer so I do not own my operating system CDs - they just load the OS onto the computer for you I can take it in to have it reinstalled but it costs and I just did that a few months ago so I really don t want to spend that much to do it again if it s not absolutely necessary especially since everything else on the computer is working fine I am hoping someone will have some insight on this and can help me out Any advice is welcome this has become extremely frustrating and time consuming Thanks Jon nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-drives-e-g-ipod-external-memory-device-not-working.171337/
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: External drives (e.g. iPod, external memory device) not working

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 92.02%

BSOD whenever a usb device gets plugged -flash drives, external drives

- Thanks for having this forum

A:BSOD whenever a usb device gets plugged -flash drives, external drives

Code:
* Bugcheck Analysis *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 1000007E, {ffffffffc0000005, fffff8000348bda9, fffff880039bcd58, fffff880039bc5b0}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for snapman.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for snapman.sys
Probably caused by : disk.sys ( disk! ?? ::FNODOBFM::`string'+70f )

Followup: MachineOwner
---------

2: kd> lmvm snapman
start end module name
fffff880`01e00000 fffff880`01e46000 snapman T (no symbols)
Loaded symbol image file: snapman.sys
Image path: snapman.sys
Image name: snapman.sys
Timestamp: Wed Mar 09 23:52:38 2011 (4D777F1E)
CheckSum: 0004F614
ImageSize: 00046000
Translations: 0000.04b0 0000.04e4 0409.04b0 0409.04e4
Ensure Windows is updated, then reboot and update your Acronis installation:
Backup software for data backup and disaster recovery in Windows and Linux - Acronis

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/366969-bsod-whenever-usb-device-gets-plugged-flash-drives-external-drives.html
Relevancy 89.44%

I know the question is awkward. So hopefully, I can explain it.

Say that I have a 500 GB external hard drive. But as it turns out, there's only 465 GB according to it and my computer. Why isn't there 500 Gb, but rather only 465? This also applies to mp3 players like iPods.

Why is this?

Can I do something to get back the "hidden" memory?

A:Solved: Why is there never the full memory on external/flash memory hard drives?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-why-is-there-never-the-full-memory-on-external-flash-memory-hard-drives.794103/
Relevancy 85.14%

Is external hard-drive or memory the easier way to boost speed and performance for those who have limited tech knowledge?

Relevancy 84.71%

icon fr the external drive (G) is lost while for other more external drives is ok...it happened after i installed a software n created a virtual ddrive on my computer and then unstalled it...help

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-icon-fr-the-external-drive-g-is-lost-while-for-other-more-external-drives-is-ok.645391/
Relevancy 83.85%

I have a Lenovo ThinkPad T p to which I have had Seagate Tb external USB drives connected and working fine for over year Usually these are connected via the docking station but when I travel I often take one of the two Tb drives with me and connect to a USB port on the laptop itself I've been using this setup with my previous T and with this working drives stopped USB 3.0 External 3Tb T p since I purchased it in July nbsp Suddenly a few days ago I found that neither of the drives were being recognized at all They don't show in in Windows Explorer and they don't show up in Device Manager The drives are fine I can connect them to a cheap Dell Inspiron desktop External USB 3.0 3Tb drives stopped working I can connect them to the USB ports on my router and they work fine But they no longer are recognized when plugged into any of the USB ports on the ThinkPad Other USB devices are working fine mouse speakers headphone UPS hub printers barcode scanner etc I am guessing that there was either a Lenovo or Windows software update which caused this problem but I cannot determine what this might be The USB drivers have not changed nbsp T p Gb RAM Gb SSD primary driveWindows Professional -bit nbsp Anybody have any ideas on this

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/External-USB-3-0-3Tb-drives-stopped-working/td-p/3387826
Relevancy 83.85%

Hi.
My problem is that whenever i insert a CD/DVD/USB Drive/Floppy into my computer, my computer freezes up when i try to access the drive (or even when i open 'My Computer'. I've ran through Window's troubleshoot program, and i can't find any help there. I run AdAware, Spybot, and Avast! regularly, so i'm pretty sure that Spyware/Viruses arn't my problem.
If it matters, i run XP on a Dell.

Thanks a lot.

Relevancy 83.85%

Hi.
My problem is that whenever i insert a CD/DVD/USB Drive/Floppy into my computer, my computer freezes up when i try to access the drive (or even when i open 'My Computer'. I've ran through Window's troubleshoot program, and i can't find any help there. I run AdAware, Spybot, and Avast! regularly, so i'm pretty sure that Spyware/Viruses arn't my problem.
If it matters, i run XP on a Dell.

Thanks a lot.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-drives-generally-not-working.326150/
Relevancy 83.85%

I had a problem with my Yoga 13 running Win 10 not recognizing Verbatim external drives.  They would show up as devices, but not as drives. After spending some hours I found the simple solution:Just assign a drive letter to the disk. I used Partition Magic. Think you can do it from inside Win10 too. Jens Peter

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Series-Notebooks/Yoga-13-not-working-with-USB-3-0-external-drives/td-p/3313337
Relevancy 83.42%

Hi guys,

New to the forum so thank you in advance for any light you can shed on my problem.

I have a Toshiba Satellite L655-1EM laptop running windows 7 home premium 64bit. OEM came pre-installed. I've had the laptop about 6 months.

It works great but I seem to get the BSOD quite a lot. I noticed it only seems to happens when I'm using either of my external hard drives or SD cards. Usually when I am transferring a batch of large files between drives.

Any help you can offer in solving this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

A:BSOD when transferring files from memory cards or external hard drives

Hello, Mark080.

First, welcome to Windows Seven Forums !

Second. On this moment, I will try with reinstalling drivers for card reader.
That drivers is free and you can download from Toshiba web site.

Maybe, you installed wrong drivers, not for your lapotop. You need exactly driver for your model of laptop.

Go here and download new : Download Windows 7 drivers:

Then uinstall old drivers and restart computer :
1. Open Start Menu.
2. Right click on Computer.
3. Click on Properties.
4. Open Task Manager (You need administrator privileges to edit drivers)
5. Find your drivers and delete it.
6. Close all windows, save your work, and restart your computer.

Then :
1. Run installation.
2. Restart computer again.

I think that should work.

Trinty.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/225398-bsod-when-transferring-files-memory-cards-external-hard-drives.html
Relevancy 83.42%

The issue happens on multiple platforms - wont load memory up 3 External Windows drives disk USB storage SSD 10 PC and LapTops running Win Issues are with Windows 10 wont load up USB 3 External SSD memory storage disk drives Samsung Portable SSD MU-PS direct USB output - I have tried several of these Drives and all wont work and SanDisk Exterme Pro SATA in a quot SATAIII to USB external enclosure Vantec NexStar G NST- S An explanation mark comes up beside these drives under Windows 10 wont load up USB 3 External SSD memory storage disk drives Disk Drives in Device Manager Not seen in Disk Management BOTH of these SSD disk drives work well under Win - without ANY problem at all These are both new SSD Disk Drives I have even tried formatting them st under Win - but Win still won't Mount them despite them working nicely under Win I have tried using the Disk Drives latest drivers to no avail So the issue is not with any particular Win computer ASUS PC ASUS ROG amp HP laptop nor with any particular SSD drive Multiple complaints and unsuccessful quot helpful quot suggestions are on the various Web Forums about this SAME problem This suggests to me that there is a serious problem with Win that Microsoft has not addressed yet As an aside - I am now using a HP PC Z and I have gone back to using Win - I won't touch install Win upgrade from Win - there is a serious issue with this OS in my opinion Same conclusion by my IT department at work - they wont touch Win either - months ago they upgraded our large multi- PC systems from XP to Win I have have had a look at HP website to what needs to occur to run Win on my HP Z - NO way will I attempt this upgrade Both of my external SSD external drives work nicely under Win

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/48679-windows-10-wont-load-up-usb-3-external-ssd-memory-storage-disk-drives.html
Relevancy 82.99%

Hi having some really frustrating issues with my laptop and had longer Drives External no Hard working to create a profile on this site as nothing seems to be working I have an Acer Aspire running Windows version OS Build I have been travelling for a while so haven't updated for quite some time I think it was an update from a few weeks ago Most things seem ok but seems to be a problem with the USB drives Prior to the update I had an external mouse and four extrenal hard drives NTFS exFAT HFS which I connect External Hard Drives no longer working use with Paragi HFS all of which worked fine However after the update the external mouse works fine but only one of the hard drives I think an exFAT one appears in Windows Explorer The mouse still works when I connect it All the drives show up in the Devices list External Hard Drives no longer working and I can eject them I have both External Hard Drives no longer working USB and USB ports neither work The hard drives all still work on my girlfriend's Mac so there is no hardware problem A quick search online seems to say that I should change the letter on the hard drive but when I go to disk management to change the letters I get an error along the lines of 'The operation failed to complete because the Disk Management console view is not up-tp-date ' It then tells me to refresh restart both of which I have done I have even tried to run as administrator and then I get an error saying the path is not specified or something like that I have no idea where to turn now Can anyone help please

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/35079-external-hard-drives-no-longer-working.html
Relevancy 82.99%

I had an Iomega 80gb from my XP computer and an AData 500gb from my windows 7 laptop plugged in my windows 7 desktop and they worked just fine. One day I went to retrieve some data from both of them, only to find, that the same error messages popped up for both of them. The first one for both said I need to format it. The second message says the the drive is not accessible, but to make sure the right drivers are loaded and that the drive is not corrupted. Furthermore, I tried the drives on other computers and the same messages are given.
I did reformat the AData drive and lost everything, which is not that bad because it was backup for my backup. However the older Iomega drive has stuff on it that I would like to recover. Does anyone have any answers
Thanks

A:External hard drives not working in Windows 7

Hi and welcome to TSF you could try the methods here Recover Data Like a Forensics Expert Using an Ubuntu Live CD - How-To Geek

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/external-hard-drives-not-working-in-windows-7-a-682301.html
Relevancy 82.99%

Hi Folks,

An extremely annoying new problem with Auto Play in Windows 7 (Home Premium 64-bit). When I turn on my BlacX External Station (two hard drives), auto play doesn't work!?

I've re-set to default, etc.

Any suggestions on how to fix this darn thing!

Thanks, ms

A:AutoPlay - Not Working With External Hard Drives?

Hi,

Try following: Fix Windows 7 AutoPlay Dialog Box Missing or Not Appear, Display and Pop Up ? My Digital Life

cheers

Dave

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/307582-autoplay-not-working-external-hard-drives.html
Relevancy 82.99%

I have two 1-TB external drives which were working perfectly until 10 min ago. I have already tried uninstalling them from the Device Manager, and restarted the PC but it didn't help. My motherboard is Gigabyte Ultradurable 3. I am out of opinions, so thanks a lot for any helps in advance.

A:External Hard Drives Stopped Working

Does the drive turn on at all? Try using another USB cable and see if that works. If that doesn't work: If you are willing, open the hard drive and try to connect it to the motherboard. Then try to boot into Windows and see if it shows up. If not, try UBCD to boot into hard drive diagnose of the brand of the HDD and do short and long test on the drive.
You can download UBCD from Ultimate Boot CD - Overview if you don't already have a copy.
Best of luck!

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/226558-external-hard-drives-stopped-working.html
Relevancy 82.13%

I have tried everything I can think of with no success so I am posting this hoping someone else has a solution Starting this morning all of my USB drives USB Powered HDD Plug in USB HDD flash drives are showing up in Vista as drives get drive letter with no drive space Vista is insisting that all of them are formatted as RAW and that they need formatted I let it attempt to format one of my flash drives but it fails both in quick format and regular format with an error The drives all work in other machines Ubuntu Linux Windows and Windows XP and chkdsk can find nothing wrong with any of them However in Vista it insists there is something wrong with the drives In fact the one USB HDD has a Linux Windows working external drives not Vista USB [SOLVED] boot partition on it and boots Linux up with no hesitation I have also attempted to remove all USB drivers and reinstall them thinking this was similar to another problem I [SOLVED] Windows Vista external USB drives not working had when my docking station failed but this has not corrected the issue Needless to say I am now at the point where I want to throw the laptop across the room If anyone has a fix for this please let me know

A:[SOLVED] Windows Vista external USB drives not working

I have a similar problem with a Flash Drive. Win Vista is giving me real headaches.
My problem I guess is a matter of drivers. I have a Kingston DataTraveler Minifun 4GB and when i plug it; Vista doesn't want to install the driver when trying to install from my HD. And when i ask it to look Online it says that can't find it.

If is not the same problem I'm sorry.
And if by any chance you can help I would thank you!!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-windows-vista-external-usb-drives-not-working-241515.html
Relevancy 80.41%

Hi I have an ageing Dell laptop running Windows XP As it has a fairly small GB internal IDE hard-drive that is pretty full XP all Windows My recognising/working stopped has external with laptop hard-drives my I use a couple of external drives for non-essential stuff like music videos etc A few days ago I switched on one the external drives and nothing happened I usually access my external drives by going into My Computer and clicking on it there but the icon simply didn t appear At first I thought it was a problem with the drive My Windows XP laptop has stopped recognising/working with all my external hard-drives itself but when I tried another drive the same thing happened So far I ve tried mains-powered external drives portable drives and several USB flash-drives and I can t access any of them I have since tested most of my external memory devices on a relative s laptop notebook and they work just fine so it seems to be a problem with the USB ports and or Window XP missing drivers If I go into Device Manager the connected HDDs appear okay and it states that everything is working normally Also I have checked XP s Disc Management program and they show up in there too but as unformatted drives hence why the no-show in My Computer When I plug in a USB flash-drive it does show up in My Computer but when I try to access it I get a message saying the drive isn t formatted But as I have already mentioned I have tested the drives on another computer and they all still work fine Help The funny thing is my wireless mouse that uses a USB dongle is still functioning perfectly as is my digital camera SD card when connected via USB So it seems to be a problem specifically with external HDDs and memory sticks Any expert assistance with this perplexing issue would be greatly appreciated nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-windows-xp-laptop-has-stopped-recognising-working-with-all-my-external-hard-drives.1019977/
Relevancy 77.83%

Two of my USB external Hard drives a Fantom GB and a Western Digital My Book GB cannot be seen in My Computer I can see them Computer Manager External & Manager drives Device but in show not Disk in Device Manager and that says that they are working properly and the drivers are up to Date In Disk Manager the external drives had a black bar unlike the other drives which had blue bars The external disks had a number assigned to them but no letter I have tried diskpart in the command prompt was able to External drives show in Device Manager & Disk Manager but not Computer assign a letter then had to format the drives and they did show up in My computer as valid empty external hard drives with the correct amount of space on them But when I tried to recover the backed up data for one of the disks less than a External drives show in Device Manager & Disk Manager but not Computer third of the capacity of either drive they went back to not being recognized by My Computer ans in disk manager had a black line with no letter again I just went through that process again got both drives back and tried to recover the backed up files to my Fantom drive and lost the Fantom drive once again I am attaching screen shots of my current My Computer Computer in Device Manager and Disk Manager In Device Manager you can see the Fantom The My Book is the WD AAV In Disk Manager the My Book shows healthy External drives show in Device Manager & Disk Manager but not Computer with Disk and the letter L The Fantom is Disk with no letter and a black bar In My computer the My Book is there but not the Fantom Any ideas for this I am about to just recover my computer to factory setup and start new I have saved all my important files and mail to the newer Toshiba Canvio Thanks in advance Dick

A:External drives show in Device Manager & Disk Manager but not Computer

Hi Dick1030,

Welcome to Seven Forums.

Please do as follows:

1. It is unusual for the System Reserved Partition to have a drive letter. Please remove the drive letter.

2. Please remove (always Safely Remove) all the external drives including any card reader and do a drive cleanup as indicated here. http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/298744-usb-thumb-drives-not-recognised-not-drive-letter.html#post2477076 It will clean your system of all non-present devices and you will be starting with a clean slate.(Incidentally this can resolve many drive letter assignment confusion of Windows OS, as you can see in the referenced thread.)

3. After you reboot on completion of the drive cleanup, plugin only your WD My Book and the Fantom drive. As you plug-in the driver for each device will be installed ab-initio. You can watch it.

4. Now take a screenshot of the Disk Management and post. While taking the screenshot, click on "Show/Hide Console Tree” and “Show/Hide Action Pane” buttons on the toolbar on top to hide those and also pull up the center partition line up as much as possible so that we get a clear and full view.

5. Also tell us whether you are sure that you had formatted the Fantom drive and it contains data and whether you want to recover the data..

(Your statements and the screenshots are so confusing - atleast to me - it is necessary that you do the above and restate the problem.)

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/302717-external-drives-show-device-manager-disk-manager-but-not-computer.html
Relevancy 73.96%

Hi, Having got an ipod recently I was hoping to set this up on a external drive in order that I can use it on my works laptop and my home pc. can anyone see any problems with loading i tunes on the external drive and using it in this way. someone has suggested this may not be a good idea as would be slow, but cannot see how else can have i tunes on main hd and save only music to external hd. cheers all

A:External hd for ipod music

I'm sorry. I'm kind of confused with your question. What do you mean by install iTunes on an external drive? You cannot install an application on something with no OS.

If you are going to install iTunes on your various machines, and point the place it puts your music to the external harddrive, you may have some problem with speeds it you're tranferring files to and fro the external drive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hd-for-ipod-music.18668/
Relevancy 73.96%

Can I use my Ipod as a disk drive?
If so, how?

Relevancy 73.1%

I was wondering what the best way to make sure your external drive is functioning as it should?

Also, how much damage is done if your drive loses power abruptly?

Also, why would someone want a larger drive that needs an additional power source compared to a portable drive?

A:Checking Drives for errors and difference between portable and large external drives

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/checking-drives-for-errors-and-difference-between-portable-and-large-external-drives.1103892/
Relevancy 73.1%

So I bought this external 40 gig drive a while back and it turned out it was actually a pair of 20 gig drives. my itunes library has just reached the capacity of the device and it won't let me add anything else as long as i'm consolidating things onto the drive, which i would like to keep doing to save disk space on my actual PC. is there a way i can either merge the 2 drives or set itunes so that it splits the library between the drives? thanks!

A:Splitting Consolidated iTunes library over 2 external drives? (merging drives!?)

Don't know much about Itunes other than it's very restrictive about moving tunes. I've read a lot of good things about SharePod that sounds like you can do most anything you would want and still use itunes

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/splitting-consolidated-itunes-library-over-2-external-drives-merging-drives-93716.html
Relevancy 73.1%

Why can t I put hard drive on external iPod my iTunes library on an external hard drive to save space on my C Drve When my gig external iDrive is on my computer will not recognize my iPod When I turn the external iDrive off my computer will recognize my iPod but then I can t access my music library I have read all the entries on iLounge to no avail and the iPod site is no help either I have a month old gig iPod shuffle click wheel that is full It seems that my emachine T computer isn t capable of recognizing more than one mass storage device at a time If this is the case then why have more than one usb port Is the answer in putting iTunes iPod on external hard drive library on the external hard drive If so can anyone tell me how this is done I have a gig C drive Celeron GHz CPU GB Ram with a maxtor usb device nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ipod-on-external-hard-drive.509094/
Relevancy 72.67%

I am running Windows XP SP3 right now on a Lenovo 7650-ELU and experiencing some odd problems. For some reason, the laptop I have will not recognize USB Flash Drives that I put into it or External Hard Drives. I know that the USB ports work correctly, because I have plugged in optical mouses and keyboards that work. I searched the forums and didn't see anything like this.

It's odd how when I first insert them, it makes the sound and shows the icon in the taskbar that would allow me to safely remove the device, but nothing else. So far, I have gone into the device manager and uninstalled all the USB ports and restarted hoping this would solve my problem, but it continues to do the same thing.

If anyone has some helpful advise, please post. I appreciate all the help.

Cheers!

A:USB Ports Don't Recognize Flash Drives or External Hard Drives

Has it ever worked before?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/usb-ports-dont-recognize-flash-drives-or-external-hard-drives-335404.html
Relevancy 72.24%

The youngin received an IPod Nano and proceeded to DL Itunes to her HP Compaq presario Sr1820NX 3400+. It also had 2 external Vs4121 Altec Lansing Speakers that worked just fine, until Itunes was installed.

I wasn't there at install time but reviewing Itunes limited assist on speakers not working, I have disabled in the preferences the Disable IT volume control for remote speakers and as well as Look for remote speakers connected with AirTunes.

Neither of these actions "reactivates the speakers". I'm told that with headphones, she can hear the music being played.

However, how does the configuration need to be changed for the external speakers to start working again.

Thanks for the assist

A:XPsp2 HP Itunes Ipod & external Speakers

welcome
it is in the settings, but i cant tell you where
try downloading 7.5 and see if it helps
http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/xpsp2-hp-itunes-ipod-and-external-speakers-209162.html
Relevancy 72.24%

In Broken HDD iPod's - HPA and custom around getting firmware as External the past I ve found that a broken mp player s hard drive can come in handy as an external if you can find an adapter enclosure to fit it Broken iPod's HDD as External - getting around HPA and custom firmware Recently my friend s iPod ended up broken so I decided to try it with the HDD that was in it HDD toshiba mk gah So here s Broken iPod's HDD as External - getting around HPA and custom firmware the issue I tried erasing formatting the drive with Windows XP and OS X XP doesn t even list the drive in the disc manager but still lists it under hardware manager Windows lists it in hardware manager but can t format or erase OS X recognizes it and sees its size model etc but can t erase I ve done a lot of digging and read that even HDDGURU s Wipe Tool and Atola s HDD Capacity Restore aren t effective Apparently Apple has put an HPA DCO on the drive and then special firmware and the only way to remove this is with special hardware Any ideas or thoughts I d like to find a hard drive firmware repair tool that I can buy online but it seems most companies only list product info on their sites no online buying option nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/broken-ipods-hdd-as-external-getting-around-hpa-and-custom-firmware.138334/
Relevancy 71.81%

I was cleaning a PC that was infected with a tough rootkit and eventually rebuilt w/ OS to ensure all was well. During the attempted cleaning, I had a external hard drive and a flash drive connected to the PC. My question is ... can rootkits and their similar counterparts spread to attached drives such as these [and eventually infect the next PC they are attached to]?

I have since used the flash drive in a new Dell PC w/ Win7 and it is acting a bit strange all of a sudden after sitting overnight.

Thanks much!
Brian

A:Are Rootkits able to jump to external drives or removable drives?

Yes,that is quite easy,especially with .exe files.You ned to clean the drive and scan what ever iy connected to.Were they both Win7?EDIT:You can download and use Autorun Eater or Autorun USB Virus Finder which will allow removal of any suspicious 'autorun.inf' files they find. Panda USB Vaccine. Computer Vaccination will prevent any AutoRun file from running, regardless of whether the removable device is infected or not. USB Vaccination disables the autorun file so it cannot be read, modified or replaced and creates an AUTORUN_.INF as protection against malicious code. The Panda Resarch Blog advises that once USB drives have been vaccinated, they cannot be reversed except with a format. If you do this, be sure to back up your data files first or they will be lost during the formatting process.Another option for XP users is Flash_Disinfector by sUBs. Please read About Flash Disinfector by Papakid and USB/Flash Drive Safety by TheJoker.Finally, always scan USB flash drives and any external storage media after they have been used in other computer systems, even your own. An easy way to do this is to download "ClamWin Portable Antivirus", put it on your USB Flash Drive, update its definition files and perform a scan.{borrowed from our quietman7}

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/438727/are-rootkits-able-to-jump-to-external-drives-or-removable-drives/
Relevancy 71.81%

I set up a new computer. Windows 7 Pro 64x
Everything was fine but then I connected a flash drive to it and I get:

Location Not Available
H:\ is not accessible. Access is denied

If I go into the properties to the ?security? tab, it says ?you do not have permission to view or edit this object?s permission settings?

If I go into the ?owner? tab of Advanced Security Settings, current owner says ?Unable to display current owner?
This is on every flash drive and portable hard drive on all 4 usb ports.
I am logged in as the administrator and there is not even another user account on the computer
I?ve run sfc /scannow

I?m absolutely stumped. I?ve never had this happen on any computer where I couldn?t use an external device.

This is not my computer so I?ll have to do whatever remotely.

Thank you for the help.

A:All Flash Drives & External Hard Drives NOT ACCESSIBLE?

Sometimes when I plug in a USB Thumb/Flash drive I get a message about "this device can perform faster if plugged into a USB 2 port" so I shut the computer down and pull the power cord and USB devices from the back of it. After waiting a bit I put everything back and all is good.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/354251-all-flash-drives-external-hard-drives-not-accessible.html
Relevancy 71.81%

I have a new computer plus a couple of other computers and I have some external hard drives and flash drives. what is the best way to check these devices to make sure they are clean, will just connecting them and viewing them or running AV and other security checks propose a risk to the computer that is checking?
Thanks for any advise!

A:External Hard drives and flash drives security

zformer,

You can consider the use of the Panda Vaccine on your computer and USB Drives:
Download Panda USB and AutoRun Vaccine - MajorGeeks

This tool provides a two way security by vaccinating both computer and/or USB drives.
It work on NTFS, FAT, FAT32 formatted drives.
However, vaccinating a USB drive cannot be undone without formatting the USB disk, using a hex editor, or a File Manager in a Linux distribution..

Next, make sure that your Antivirus can scan USB drives. Some do not have this option.

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/361360-external-hard-drives-flash-drives-security.html
Relevancy 71.81%

Are external Tape drives as good as internal drives? The drive is used with VERITAS Backup Exec for Windows Servers Version 9.1.4691.1.

Relevancy 71.81%

My Windows 10 Home laptop will recognize all of my flash drives but won't recognize any of my external hard drives. They all use to show up but now they aren't. The hard drives show up in disk manager but won't show up in file explorer. I hooked them up to other laptops & they all show up. I've tried uninstalling drivers & reinstalling them but It hasn't worked. Any ideas?

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/66530-flash-drives-recognized-but-external-hard-drives-not.html
Relevancy 71.38%

I'm planning on selling my laptop and buying a new desktop. the problem is, my family and I travel a lot, and I don't want to bring my desktop with me, and my video library won't fit onto my 32GB ipod touch, so I figured i could get an external hard drive and store my movies on there for travel. I use an RCA (if that't what the yellow, white, and red wires are) cable to connect my ipod to whatever tv i want to watch my movies on, so I was just wondering if I could back up my video library onto the external hard drive, and then connect that to the tv directly to play the videos off that, or connect it to my ipod and change which movies i want to sync in order to fit the movie I want to watch on the ipod. Any suggestions?

A:External hard drive - ipod touch/RCA cable?

i just figured out that i could use my xbox as the medium, not the ipod, so I figured it out for now, but I still want to know if there's another solution.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-ipod-touch-rca-cable.976807/
Relevancy 71.38%

A friend of mine came to me with a really strange issue, hoping I could help. Basically, he has an external USB hard drive where he stores his music and some other files. When he connects his iPod by USB, the files on the drive all go missing and become inaccessible. Disconnect the iPod, and they're all back. The drive still shows ###GB used correctly, but both Windows Explorer and typing DIR at the command prompt show the drive as empty. SOME folder structure remains, however, but there's still nothing in them. Changing the "Hidden Files" option in Folder Options has no effect, and typing a file name to access the item directly yields some brand of "file not found" error.

As far as I can remember, he's running Windows 7 64-bit.

Any ideas?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/files-on-external-drive-disappear-when-the-ipod-is-connected.1036958/
Relevancy 71.38%

Hello Tech Gurus I have a very weird I'm External DVD auto iPod infected. eject and drive problem - one that I haven t faced before A few weeks ago I tried to format an external harddrive that I now think was infected with a I'm infected. iPod and External DVD drive auto eject couple of trojans and worms Later I noticed that my iPod refuses to stay connected with the computer If I connected my iPod to my computer it almost instantly gets ejected - iTunes doesn t even have time to recognize that an iPod has been connected I also noticed that my external USB DVD drive kept auto ejecting This only happens when there is no disk in it If there is a disk in this drive nothing weird happens and everything behaves as expected However if there is no disk in it it gets automatically ejected in exactly seconds I ran Avast Antivirus on my computer multiple times which is how I found the trojans and worms After Avast deleted them deleted - not moved to chest I reran Avast twice in safe mode and normal mode and it found nothing but the problems still persisted I ran CCleaner to eliminate the possibility that these malicious programs were still somewhere on the computer without being recognized but that has not led to anything fruitful either I d really appreciate any help that you could give me I m really out of ideas and hate that even my external USB soundcard keeps getting ejected probably by this malicious program Interestingly though any USB flashdrives that I insert don t get ejected So I m really not sure what s happening here Here is the configuration for my computer her name is Nyah Windows XP SP MB RAM Intel Pentium M GHz processor Please help Thank you nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/im-infected-ipod-and-external-dvd-drive-auto-eject.939947/
Relevancy 71.38%

MY SPECS I have an g Ipod Classic and Itunes installed on a Lenovo Thinkpad PC I have all of my music on an external hard drive I keep of off Problem hard external Ipod drive Syncing my external hard drive plugged in at all times I made sure to specify the external hard drive in the Itunes Media Folder Location window Itunes shows all of my music and plays all of my music MY PROBLEM When I plug my Ipod into the USB my computer recognizes it for a second H and then it disappears However my computer did recognize it once and it began to sync the Ipod with the Itunes but stopped after only a few songs It told me it could not sync because the file or directory is quot corrupted or unreadable quot So essentially I have two problems My computer won t recognize my Ipod and it won t sync once it does WHAT I VE TRIED Problem Syncing Ipod off of external hard drive I have tried restarting the Ipod restarting the computer changing the USB drives and plugging my Ipod in in disc mode Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Problem Syncing Ipod off of external hard drive

I got the same problem before and found why. You may be plugging both on the same side port where I notice on my PC when I put my external and my Ipod or Pen Drive the second that is connected won't be detected or is detected for one or two seconds.

You may try to connect it on the other side and if it does not work you may have to copy you music to you PC then put it to your Ipod. For me connecting External HDD on the back of my PC and Ipod on the Front works well but I don't know if it will do the same for diffrent side on laptop.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-syncing-ipod-off-of-external-hard-drive.141295/
Relevancy 70.52%

Hi everyone I have been having problems with a gb external hard drive and using my ipod as an external drive I have recently bought a DivX Xvid DVD player that as USB compatibility But for some reason my hard drive wont load into the DVD player it loads the USB menu but a but player, others ipod hard will? DVD USB external load wont drive into and wont load any files and goes back to the external hard drive and ipod wont load into a USB DVD player, but others will? main screen Now my brother has the same ipod i plug his in and all folders and files load straight away Are there problems with my external hard drive and ipod drive Could there be a corrupt file on there Is there any software i could use to look for bad sectors or clean up etc Any help would be great i just dont get why mine wont load but others will into it Also when i have both of them connected in my front two USB ports on my PC sometimes the external hard drive goes off a red light appears and external hard drive and ipod wont load into a USB DVD player, but others will? drive is removed I just tried it then my ipod was connected into my front USB on PC so i connected my External HD in the port next to it and it went off wouldnt load big RED light I turned it off took the ipod out and just put in the hard drive and its fine dont understand I just want to get them working and working with my dvd player mainly Cheers Paul

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/external-hard-drive-and-ipod-wont-load-into-a-usb-dvd-player-but-others-will-195983.html
Relevancy 70.52%

I purchased an gb ipod classic th with classic external drive- Ipod switching computers hard generation about a month ago I got a seagate expansion external hard drive to sync it with I had successfully loaded songs on my ipod before moving and therefore switching computers Since I still want to use the external hard drive and keep all of the music that is already on the ipod when I installed itunes on the new computer I selected for my ipod to sync with the same external hard drive I was expecting all my music to be Ipod classic with external hard drive- switching computers there but I can t find it on the hard drive anymore I am concerned that I lost the music from the hard drive but I know there is a way to fix this since all of the music is still on the ipod itself When I hook my ipod up Ipod classic with external hard drive- switching computers to the computer a message comes up saying how the ipod can only have one music library at a time and asking if I want to erase and sync or to start over with just the songs purchased from the itunes store Most all of my music collection so far is on CDs and I don t want to lose all of the music I already have on there My questions are By selecting it to sync with the external hard drive on the new computer does that mean I accidentally got rid of the music on the external hard drive since the ipod can only sync with one music library at a Ipod classic with external hard drive- switching computers time If so how do I copy the music still on my ipod back on to the external hard drive without losing it on the ipod And then how would I proceed after that to be able to edit my music library and sync without losing any of the music I already have on the ipod When I download itunes how do I get it to sync with the external hard drive without losing the music that is already on that hard drive Any answers or help is very much appreciated nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ipod-classic-with-external-hard-drive-switching-computers.977520/
Relevancy 70.52%

Hi

very bizarre :
- 3 of my 6 drives SATA connected to internal SATA connectors on board ( Z87 Deluxe)
- are shown in explorer "my computer" as hard disks ( while correctly DVD and USB are in removable drives list)
- however these 3 drives appear in the list of removable drives Under the W7 utility "safely remove" !

That could lead to confusion when removing removable drives !

Any explanation ? Can I correct this ?

I think that it is possible that these drives have been formatted and partitioned whiel on a SATA-to USB dock ( when PC was Under repair). Have tried to delete all partitions on one of those drives, and recreate partitions Under W7 with Acronis Disk Director, but no change.
Or should I remove them from Computer Management ?

TIA for help please !

Regards

A:SATA drives : internal appear as External drives !

It is not bizarre but a result of drives being connected to ports that allow hot swapping (set to AHCI)

One possibility is to install the Intel AHCI drivers instead of the stock drivers that are part of the Windows 7 DVD.

Another is this:

FIX: AHCI/SATA drives showing in "Safely Remove Hardware"

This works for the Intel controller.

If you are connected to another controller, go to the Device manager and right click on that controller and select properties.

Then under the Policies tab, you should be able to uncheck the box that allows safe removal.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/323882-sata-drives-internal-appear-external-drives.html
Relevancy 70.52%

I have several old hard drives, taken from previouse CPU's. Is there anyway in which I can use them as external hard drives or be able to read what is stored on them, without hooking up INSIDE my CPU ?

Relevancy 70.52%

I have windows 7 pro and recently I have not been able to open up a new folder on any external hard drive or flash drive that I use with my computer. When I use these same flash and external hard drives in another computer it works fine, my initial thought is, there is something disabled in my system or some program is blocking me when I try to create a new folder in my drives. need advice and help.

A:Flash drives and external hard drives

It may be your explorer. Run a sfc /scannow in Command Prompt

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/315742-flash-drives-external-hard-drives.html
Relevancy 70.52%

Hey guys I've been a fan of your forum for a while and didn't create an account til now I'm at my wits end and I'm desperate for help My posts on other forums have been won't Flash install drives drives & external ignored so I'll try here It all started when I bought Flash drives & external drives won't install the Dingoo A game system In order for it to work with Windows I had to replace the USBSTOR sys file with another Everything seemed fine except the file transfer to my Dingoo was exceptionally slow Eventually I followed instructions months ago and somehow got my Dingoo to not use it's preinstalled China Chip Drivers but Windows's mass storage driver Everything seemed fine for months until I bought a portable hard drive Seagate Freeagent Go Flex After spending hours trying to figure out why it wouldn't install I returned it about a week later I picked out a Patriot GB Flash Drive as a replacement to the Freeagent Go Surprise surprise drivers won't install Old flash drives still work they were installed before the Dingoo incident I've tried -Uninstalling and reinstalling device plenty of times -Pointed Windows towards quot system drivers quot and didn't help -Replaced USBSTOR sys with Windows XP version -Replaced USBSTOR sys with Windows Vista version -Checked for corrupted system files -Tried Driver Genius I'm at my wits end I have so many important files on this OS and I don't want to restore the OS I've backed up some of my files thanks to Ubuntu where the flash drive works without a hitch I've asked on other forums for someone to upload their USBSTOR sys and no one replied I'm also thinking that maybe the registry could be screwed up maybe for some reason it's told NOT to install the flash drive Not really sure I'd appreciate any help guys You have a great forum here -Hack r Or just call me Nick

A:Flash drives & external drives won't install

Never mind. After getting no help on multiple forums, I've had enough of Windows 7.

Installing Windows XP Pro SP3.

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/130680-flash-drives-external-drives-wont-install.html
Relevancy 70.52%

Hi all. I'm hoping someone could help me with this issue. I just finished putting together my computer, installed Windows 7 Pro 64 bits. However, both of my hard drives (one SSD, one regular HDD) are showing up as external drives (plug-and-play). If I click the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon, I could actually "eject" both of my hard drives. I've searched on Google for clues, but it wasn't helpful. If anyone has any idea on how to fix this, it will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

A:Internal drives showing up as external drives

You have to enable write caching for your internal hard disk.- Click on Start Menu.- Type devmgmt.msc and press Enter.- Locate your hard disk under Disc Drives in the list in Device Manager.- Double-click on your hard disk.- Select Policies tab.- Check the checkbox Enable write caching on this device- Click OK.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/410628/internal-drives-showing-up-as-external-drives/
Relevancy 70.52%

I already found out the hard way that flash drives don't have a registry in which I can install a program to it, and run it on other computers, unless the program is a lite program. Is there a way to make it more flexible in the sense of creating a registry for it?

Next question; Do external hard drives have a registry? Could I install games and or programs to an external and run them directly from it? Is there a way to create a registry for it if it does not have one?
Anyone that has anything else to possibly add, I'm more than happy to explore any and all options, so don't be shy!

Help is appreciated, thanks in advance!

A:External hard drives / flash drives.

i do not know the particulars of it but yes it is possible to copy/paste a programme file from c drive ,programme files, onto flash drive and run it, i do it myself

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drives-flash-drives.930251/
Relevancy 67.94%

I have 3 working (2 Freecom + Lacie)

I have read real horror stories about drives over 500GB.

So my Question is what do recommend folks and are the horror stories not a true reflection?

Also can I have my busted Freecom one repaired?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-drives.953978/
Relevancy 67.94%

The CD-Rom will recognise CD programs but will not recognise any (even quality brands)Blank disks ! ....? Have external CD-RW drive which works most of the time. Disconnected external drive completely and Internal CD Drive would still not recognise Blank Disks. .........Pjerimiahb

Relevancy 67.94%

Anyone have any experience with this external drive enclosure?

AcomData-3.5" Samba USB 2.0 & eSATA (SATA Drive) Enclosure Kit-Enter Promo Code: ACOM72810 for Special Offer! BONUS--Free eSATA Cable!(SMBXXXU2SE-BLK)

I?m not too keen on the aesthetics but I can grab one at very good price. Open to recommendations for either bare enclosures or complete drives. Preferably something faster than USB 2. My PC supports USB 2, USB 3, Firewire and eSATA

A:External Drives

I have a couple of older AcomData IDE external USB HD's that are still working

Here is what I did recently http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-...ml#post1177933

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/138653-external-drives.html
Relevancy 67.94%

Hello, I just bought a new Acer netbook and I'm looking to pick up a cd drive, but there's so many to choose from. i don't need anything fancy, just something that can play video games and burn cds. Any suggestions? Thanks!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-drives.944954/
Relevancy 67.94%

I have 2 external USB drives. Both run off the same usb mini hub. On one drive when I do a copy of a file it takes no time at all. on the other it takes forever. I assume on the slow one that somehow it may be using usb version 1.0 drivers but I can't figure out why or how to fix this.

Relevancy 67.94%

Hey my Imac just died so im forced to use my Peecee how many external drives can I have hooked up via firewire? is there a limit? besides the firewire limit of like 49 or whatever

Relevancy 67.94%

I have an older HP desktop that I am going to be replacing USB drives. External soon and I need to transfer the old files off of it onto my GB external USB drive I had to upgrade to USB and I installed a new USB card The problem occurs when I plug in the USB drive It does not show up anywhere It makes the sound External USB drives. that lets you know when it is connected but I can t see it under My Computer This also occurs when I plug in a USB flash drive The only thing that works and shows up is an external card reader and SD card and that shows up when I go into the Control Panel and click on Music Devices The desktop specs HP Pavilion C runnign XP Home with SP MB of RAM Intel PIII at Ghz USB ports USB ports GB hard drive Any ideas as to how to get this thing to show up and utilize it nbsp

Relevancy 67.94%

I have recently discovered external cases and have mounted a HD in one and a CD/RW in another. I also have bought a external FD. I am considering reconfiguring my computer but need answers to a few questions.
1. Can I boot my computer using a external FD?
2. Can I boot my computer and run WinXP using a external HD?
3. If I can boot with a ext FD - can I then run WinXP from an ext HD?
Thanks for any info.
Dios te bendiga!

A:External drives

Yes, you can. To all questions.

An external drive can be used for all the same things that an internal drive could be used for, storing operating systems, being used as a boot drive, and such.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/external-drives-55406.html
Relevancy 67.94%

I have a Seagate expansion external drive 1 TB, I am using Win 7 on my desktop and Win XP on my laptop. Is it possible to save/back up files from these 2 different computers on my single external drive? Can I plug into one and then plug into the other to do this?
I have never used an external drive before as you can tell.

Please advise
watcher68

Relevancy 67.94%

Before I spend my hard earned money to buy a Hitchi external hard drive GB I need answers to several questions listed below Never worked with two hard drives on the same computer internal External how will my computer External drives recognize this external drive By an icon on the desk top Or by a link on the MY Computer How do External drives you specify loading to the new external drive and can you transfer from the internal drive to the external drive How How does one determine they are working with the external drive rather than the usual internal drive Hitachi external hard drive claims it is compatable with VIsta platform can this be believed I have Vista now on my internal hard drive and they are not compatable The whole thing revolves aound getting a Umax scanner to accept the original CD disk installation of the driver for that scanner Sorry for such a complicated mess but need some advice from the great tech support guys Or is there an easier way Can two platforms be run on the same internal hard drive without partitioning nbsp

A:External drives

I can try to help with some of your questions.

An external drive should show up as another drive on your PC. It will take the next available drive letter. If you have an internal HDD, C:, and an optical drive (CD/DVD, etc.), D:, the external drive will show up as E:. You should be able to read and write to it as if it were any other drive, using Explorer or My Computer.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-drives.819460/
Relevancy 67.94%

I have 2 external drives.the folders on 1 are z-a organized & the other a-z
Anyone knows how to make them display the same?
thanks

A:external drives?

Quote: Originally Posted by bluzeboy

I have 2 external drives.the folders on 1 are z-a organized & the other a-z
Anyone knows how to make them display the same?
thanks

Huh?
Open Explorer and select hard drive.
When the screen opens in Explorer go to the top of the big window and left mouse click on the NAME BAR above the directory titles.
It should change to A to Z. Click it again and it will go Z to A

See picture

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/84769-external-drives.html
Relevancy 67.94%

Is there a decent external DVD-ROM out there? I just need one to play an acceptable quality movie or two on my laptop while I'm at work.

Relevancy 67.94%

Lately all of my external drives--an SD card a USB drive even my iPod--show up as RAW format and kb in My Computer I am not able to access any of the files Windows tells me they need to be formatted but is unable to complete the format I have only tried on the SD card but my guess is it's the same for all of them All of the drives show up in Explorer and the iPod shows up in iTunes although it is listed as corrupt None of the drives show up in Disk Management so I have not been able Drives External All RAW to try to add partitions All External Drives RAW to any I would normally assume the iPod issue would result from it actually being corrupted but given this is happening with ALL of the drives and All External Drives RAW the iPod itsellf works perfectly fine--as do the card and USB drive--I'm guessing this is an issue with my computer and not the devices I've been having hard drive issues lately receiving blue screens mainly due to stop errors and my event log recently listed an error with Event ID quot RSM cannot manage library quot Does anyone have any ideas I'm sorry if this has been posted I searched but did not find the same question

A:All External Drives RAW

Hi kmb187

If you plug your external USB hard drive into another computer, does it see all the files, and recognize the format as NTFS? If you haven't tried that yet, give it a go & see. [If no other computers can view the files, it's likely the "MFT" is corrupt (MFT= Master File Table)].

File corruption can result in external USB devices if they are removed without using the "Safely Remove Hardware" procedure [clicking on the icon in the SysTray, selecting the device, and waiting for the 'now safe to remove' pop-up]. Data on the drives can sometimes still be retrieved by Data Recovery tools, such as PC Inspector File Recovery --- http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/uk/welcome.htm
_________

There are other possible problems on your PC, it seems. If you can, post a bit more details about the STOP errors you are receiving. Sometimes these errors are caused by low-level driver issues -- in your case, it's likely a USB device issue. You can try starting your computer into Safe Mode, entering Device Manager, and removing all USB devices (some notebooks have a Bluetooth device that seems to be detected as a USB device - if your PC is a notebook, post that info as well). On reboot, your computer will try to reinstall the USB drivers -- if you've an Internet connection, let it search Windows Update for drivers, along with your local drives.

Also, have a look in your EventViewer Logs & tell us if you find any error messages that stand out as clues:
To Explore EventViewer:
1) Click on Start/Control Panel/Performance and Maintenance/Administrative Tools/EventViewer.
2) Several logs are listed: simply select a log, and events will appear in a list in the window-pane to the right.
3) To view the details of an event, right-click the event, and select ?Properties?.

Oh, and Welcome to the Tech Support Forums!

Best of luck
. . . Gary

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/all-external-drives-raw-154792.html
Relevancy 67.94%

Ok, I'm thinking of getting a netbook, but I'm not sure about the missing CD drive. I can get an external one, no problem, but I just had a few questions.
In addition to burning stuff, can I also read CDs and DVDs as a normal drive on my computer?
Is a burner in an enclosure better, or is an external package more efficient? I don't do that much with it, I just burn CDs every now and then and would like to burn DVDs too.
I know they usually plug directly into USB, so do they have to have specific drivers installed? Like, could I load an OS from the drive?
That's just about it, thanks!

Relevancy 67.51%

Hi Guys

I have a 6 year old computer running windows 7 32 bit.

I keep it up to date etc and it really runs well for an old fella.

One issue I have is not being able to leave external drives powered on.

I have tried all solutions available to change bios settings, usb setting etc but my pc will not boot up with externals attached and powered on.

Just looking for any insights, help etc that may resolve this issue.

Any assistance appreciated.

A:PC Boot up and External drives

Almost sounds like there are too many things trying to power on at the same time. Perhaps a PSU issue?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/160401-pc-boot-up-external-drives.html
Relevancy 67.51%

Hi all, I normally carry out a back up from my PC to an EXT HDD every 2 weeks but I am still worried about losing everything in case this one breaks down. I have now bought a new one but is it ok to have 2 Ext HDD going together on my PC, because I want to copy certain material from my existing Ext HDD to my new one as well as a complete backup. Will this cause a prob or damage my PC in any way? thanks for any help.

Relevancy 67.51%

I'm running Vista x64 on my desktop and have 2 external hard drives - 1 backs up photographs, the other everything else.

Problem is that when I plug them in, they don't appear with consistent drive letters. Sometimes the photo drive is labelled J and other times K.

Is there any way I can permanently label these drives so that every time I plug them in they will be given the correct letters?

(Apologies if this is a bit of a basic question!)

A:External hard drives

Originally Posted by Graham R

I'm running Vista x64 on my desktop and have 2 external hard drives - 1 backs up photographs, the other everything else.

Problem is that when I plug them in, they don't appear with consistent drive letters. Sometimes the photo drive is labelled J and other times K.

Is there any way I can permanently label these drives so that every time I plug them in they will be given the correct letters?

(Apologies if this is a bit of a basic question!)

Next time you connect either, go to properties and allocate a name and Drive Letter [not C, D, or E] of your choice.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/273870-external-hard-drives.html
Relevancy 67.51%

Hello External Drives Firewire all I m new to the forum My problem is kinda weird as I ve yet to find anyone else who s experienced it Maybe one of you have Basically I ve had trouble getting either my USB or my Firewire ports to accept any kind of external drive I finally got the USB problem solved but now I m trying to hook up an external -bay drive enclosure via Firewire Right now Windows XP simply does not see that the drive is even there although Windows shows that the card itself works fine There are HDs in the enclosure and one is set to master the other to slave Note that the real stumper here for me is that this problem has continued across seperate installations of Windows XP on the same machine Yet when I finally got another drive to connect via External Firewire Drives USB it was through a desperate ploy using a rd party USB driver I actually installed a USB driver then uninstalled it And suddenly the DVD burner I had connect to it was recognized These facts would seem to contradict each other yet there it is And I have to assume that these difficulties are some how related since they are the same in both cases I have ways of connecting this drive to the computer my MB has such a port I have a Duoconnect card from Adaptec with firewire ports I have a Soundblaster card with one Firewire port But I get the same results no matter which I use Please do not suggest I just ditch the enclosure and buy an external hard drive They don t work either In fact they are pretty much the same thing - Any ideas on this one Here s my system config IRQ System timer OK IRQ PC AT Enhanced PS Keyboard -Key OK IRQ Communications Port COM OK IRQ Communications Port COM OK IRQ MPU- Compatible MIDI Device OK IRQ Standard floppy disk controller OK IRQ System CMOS real time clock OK IRQ Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK IRQ Numeric data processor OK IRQ Primary IDE Channel OK IRQ Secondary IDE Channel OK IRQ NVIDIA GeForce Ti OK IRQ NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller OK IRQ NEC PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller B OK IRQ Creative SB Audigy OK IRQ NEC PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller B OK IRQ Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE Host Controller OK IRQ NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller OK IRQ OHCI Compliant IEEE Host Controller OK IRQ NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller OK IRQ NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller OK IRQ SiS PCI to USB Open Host Controller OK IRQ SiS PCI to USB Open Host Controller OK IRQ SiS PCI to USB Open Host Controller OK IRQ SiS PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller OK TIA Jerry nbsp

A:External Firewire Drives

Well, one obvious thing to try is to plug that enclosure into another machine and see if it's just a problem with the enclosure...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-firewire-drives.162169/
Relevancy 67.51%

We have two separate external USB drives, one on my old 'can' and one on the newer laptop.
When either pc is powered off the drive(s) are noticeably still humming (spinning?)
Being as they don't have an on/off switch we are wondering if this is not good.
I had one external that tipped over while the pc was running and it wrecked it.

Thanks in advance, shooglefly

A:External USB Drives keep spinning, is it OK?

You're right that it is not a good thing.

Are they just humming or can you tell if they are making the same sound as when the PC is running?

How old are they?

In any case, if they really seem activated when the machines are off, you should unplug them. They are either running (and wearing out) or they are not getting enough power to run so that energy is being converted to heat rather than motion. That's a good way to burn out motors.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-usb-drives-keep-spinning-is-it-ok.1052115/
Relevancy 67.51%

Hi,

I have a program on an external USB hard drive. I want to run the program from that HD. It doesn't run properly because it needs to write files to it's folder, and it doesn't have permission to.

If I turn User Account Control off, then everything works just fine, however I don't want to turn it off. Is there anything else I can do to get the program to work properly with UAC turned on? Should the program be writing files to a specific folder?

I tried setting the permissions of the folder to 'full control', but all that seems to do is set the permissions on each individual file that currently exists in the folder.

A:UAC and external hard drives

This should help

User Account Control (UAC) - Elevate Privilege Level

http://www.vistax64.com/system-security/199695-uac-external-hard-drives.html
Relevancy 67.51%

I have new WD gb ext drives that I formatted and Win7 External drives in Fat with special downloaded proggy so that I can use it through my set top box to watch avi movies as in NTFS they won't play At first I could copy movies off my h d on to them but now win won't recognize the files on the ext drive at all and tells me i need to format it in device mgr it has a drive Win7 and External drives letter and all looks ok in win explorer it shows up but and has a Win7 and External drives drive letter but says it needs formatting to work put it on my set top box or boot into another OP sys and all is ok can see all the movies no worries it must be something in win I have looked at plenty of sites for help but no go any help would be nice Win7 and External drives - SOLUTION FOR ME even though win had given it a quot H quot drive I still couldn't use it I went into MANAGE DRIVE MANAGER and right clicked on the PARTITION then changed the drive letter to quot R quot and all is well again

A:Win7 and External drives

Check the disk management to see if the OS sees them but hasn't assigned them a drive letter.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/136447-win7-external-drives.html
Relevancy 67.51%

I have two old external hard drives. One is around 6 years old and uses a PATA drive and one is around 5 years old and uses a SATA drive. I used to use them with an old 32 bit Windows XP computer. Should I be able to use these external drives with a 64 bit Windows 7 computer, or could it damage them? Does it matter if an enclosure was made before Windows 7 came out?

A:Use Old External Drives with Windows 7

They should work fine. Just plug them in and see if you can access files on the drives, etc.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/use-old-external-drives-with-windows-7.1076792/
Relevancy 67.51%

Does anyone here use SpinRite with external hard drives? No problem with recognizing internal drives but the externals do not show on menu.

I have four external drives and do not want to take them apart and install as internals for testing.

SpinRite web site says that USB DOS drivers may get this to work but in searching for them, there are a lot of different drivers available. Not sure which, if any, of these would work.

Relevancy 67.51%

I recently purchased an 160gb USB2 External drive for use on my laptop.

To get full potential i need to share it across a network, i've set all sharing permissions. But when trying to view the contents from another PC an error box comes up 'H: is not accessible'

Is it possible to share an external drive? I would have thought so.

Ideas?

A:Sharing External Drives

I'll try it later and get back to you. If I've not responded by tomorrow, nudge the post.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sharing-external-drives.210839/
Relevancy 67.51%

I'd like to resign my current drive to backup duty by putting it in an enclosure. I'm wondering if I can leave it with an intact OS (XP) and if so, if/how I can switch back and forth between being able to boot off of it and using it as a storage device.

Thank you

Relevancy 67.51%

i seem to experience the same problem with the autorun function...with my u3 drive.
Did you resolve your problem?
Please help

p.s. is it just a matter of reenabling the autorun feature in windows?

Thank you very much for your time and your help

A:Autorun...External Drives

fixed autoplay but the u3 software still takes me to a temp folder instead of running the preinstalled software...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/391448/autorunexternal-drives/
Relevancy 67.51%

I have an external hard drive i leave on constantly. 75% of the time I use it, the other 25% I could probably turn it off. Is this necessary? If I turn it on and off, will it go out faster or will leaving it on make it go faster?

Relevancy 67.51%

I have two external hard drives which i store and run stuff from This has never been a problem while Drives External Hard running xp I've been sitting on this problem for a while looking for a solution or waiting untill i have seen someone else with a similar problem in hope that there will be a fix So far no luck The Problem This is pretty hard to explain as the problem is pretty random From boot up sometimes none or one of my hard drives show up Mostly they both appear Upon Windows startup Sometimes only one external hard drive will appear then about mins later windows will try to autorun the other as soon as it is eventually recognised Sometimes they're no problem untill you try to move large files from one drive to another or from one drive to my hard drive It will start to move them and then freeze half way through External Hard Drives claiming that the files dont exist You then go to explorer to look the drives are showing and so is every folder but the folders show as empty Both hard drives lights are off indicating they are off The only way to fix it is a External Hard Drives system restart One is a maxtor basics gig and the other is a Seagate tb I am running the trial version of windows I have played with the power manegement and nothing has been told to be switched off External Hard Drives this hasn't helped I've tried unplugging changing cables exorcism none has affected it The only solution a can imagine now is reverting back to xp and cancelling my order for windows Please tell me there is something blatently obvious that i have missed Thank you

A:External Hard Drives

P

hi and welcome to sevenforums

Are they both USB?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/25619-external-hard-drives.html
Relevancy 67.51%

Is there a external Floppy drive that will work with Windows 95 ? If so where can I get one.

Thanx

A:External Floppy Drives

USB support in Windows 95 is non-existent unless you have the last revision, C I think, and even in that version almost nothing USB works.

Your best bet would be an internal floppy or if the system supports booting from the CD then that may be another option.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-floppy-drives.561173/
Relevancy 67.51%

Hello
When I want to connect or disconnect my external drive with my os images in it, should I turn the pc off or can I do this on the fly? I have been doing it on the fly for years but someone said it is not the right way.
Thank you

A:external hard drives

It's USB attached so on the fly is fine. I would connect it then turn it on.
When you're done, use the Safely remove function (not sure how you access this in Metro) before you power it off then remove it.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/18847-external-hard-drives.html
Relevancy 67.51%

So my old laptop frequently had viruses, key loggers, and other malware and I am afraid that one or more of theses buggers might be present on one or both of my external drives. I recently purchased a new laptop for work and macbook pro for home. However, I am afraid to use the external drives with either right now because they might be infected. Unfortuantely, I need the data on the drives and can not simply format them. Could someone help me check that the drives are free from infections and assorted malware?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/562961/infections-on-external-drives/
Relevancy 67.51%

This problem just popped up on both my win 7 machines.
Powered usb external drives (the ones that are based on standard hard drives and plug into the wall) are recognized, but the smaller usb powered ones are not.
The drives work on the same computers when booted xp so it's not the usb itself.
Any ideas?

A:Usb external drives not recognized

Give this a try: Turn OFF "USB Selective Suspend" and test.
USB Selective Suspend - Turn On or Off

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/190404-usb-external-drives-not-recognized.html
Relevancy 67.51%

I'm considering purchase of an external hard drive - either Seagate or Maxtor (although I guess they'll soon be the same). Everything I've read makes me apprehensive about compatibility. I'm almost 60 with 15 grandchildren, so I want to store photos, not games. If anyone has experience or advice, I'd be very grateful.
r2sanford

Any reputable USB external drive should work fine with XP. You may also want to shop around - but the drive and the enclosure separately and assemble yourself. You may get a bigger/better drive this way.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/external-hard-drives-82867.html
Relevancy 67.51%

I've got a server running Windows 2008 server standard which has an external (USB) hard drive serving as a shared network drive. None of this set up by me, thus the question: if I want to change that external drive (it's full) can I simply unplug and put in the new one? Will the server configure everything as it was or will changes need to be made (i.e. will networked machines still see it, will backups scheduled for the drive still work etc.)?

Thanks

A:Q about switching external drives

It depends how it's addressed by the server. If the driver letter is maintained, and the entire drive is a share, then nothing should change. If you're only sharing directories, there could be problems if filepaths aren't maintained. We'll need to know a little more about the setup to be sure.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/q-about-switching-external-drives.930746/
Relevancy 67.51%

Can an external hard drive be used as a primary drive? For example, if your hardrive "blew up", can you attach an external drive in its place? Thanks

Yes, if your BIOS will allow you to boot to a USB device. Check your BIOS boot sequence.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drives.417323/
Relevancy 67.51%

Any reccomendations on an external drive for an hp omnibook.p3 700/usb/256mb/

A:CD/DVD/RW External Drives for HP Laptop

I moved this to the Hardware forum so you'll hopefully get more responses. Good luck .....

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cd-dvd-rw-external-drives-for-hp-laptop.179590/
Relevancy 67.51%

Hello everyone,
I was wondering if anyone here could answer a couple questions I have about externals??? I want to buy one for my laptop but know nothing about them...First of all can an external hd be used on multiple computers? Like for instance a zip drive...can I plug this into my desktop computer as well as my laptop and share the info on it?? I run windows on both computers but different versions... Ok next question...These hd come rather large now...would I have to split the drive if say I got a 250gb hd...is splitting the drive a difficult thing to do??? And at what point or how big would the hd have to be without splitting it??? I hope I was clear in attempting to ask these questions...not sure how to word the questions..Thank you for any help you can give me.
Tina

Relevancy 67.51%

I just bought a 40 gb external hardrive 2.5 sata. Could someone tell me if it works with Vista. I thought I was ordering a Seagate from EBay, that is what they told me I was ordering but instead got this Sata. I can't get it to work. Anyone know anything about this. Is it user friendly?

Relevancy 67.51%

I am looking to get an external hard drive. The one I am interested in is Ximeta's Netdisk 160 due to its ability to connect directly to my network via ethernet cable. Has anyone had any experience with these drives? Are there any other manufacturers that have hard drives with ethernet connections in the same price range?
Also, I have also found that many here recommend external hard disk enclosures. This seems that it may be another option if the price is lower. But, are those hot-swappable? This is a must for me.
I am running Win XP Pro, have firewire and USB 2.0 connections. T

You're assistance is greatly appreciated!

Relevancy 67.51%

my PC's usually last 4 years.

thanks in advance.

Relevancy 67.51%

Just reformatted my Gateway (Using windows XP) after it gave me the BSOD. (Blue Screen Of Death),and there was no other choice.Now I'm having several problems,but taking one at a time.My computer is not recognizing my two usb external hard drives after being plugged in the usb ports.

1)The drives are both working properly.
2)They were both recognized before I reformatted.
3)The are no warnings on the device manager
4.)When I plug in my drives it makes the noise that it makes when something is plugged in to the usb port.The "recognized" beep.
5)They are both plug in and use,no install.
6)All windows updates have been completed.
7)Tried other ports and nothing happens when I plug in the external hard drive..
8)Restart does nothing.

Relevancy 67.51%

Have been hearing rumours that Vista has difficulty recognising NTFS formatted external USB hard drives whereas FAT 32 formatted drives are OK. Can anyone shed further light on this?

Relevancy 67.51%

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Home Premium Service Pack bit Processor Intel R Pentium R D CPU GHz Intel Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce SE TurboCache TM Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB E Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard NEC COMPUTERS INTERNATIONAL GA- TRC M-NF seen PC External by not new drives hard Antivirus Microsoft Security Essentials External hard drives not seen by new PC Updated and Enabled Hi I would appreciate some enlightenment on this problem if possible I regularly use GB external hard drives attached to my pC via direct USB links This has always worked fine in the past Unfortunately my previous PC is out of action gt I may have to come to the forum about that one it s a real humdinger is that one lt The PC I m now having to use is a Win as distinct from an XP but I don t see why that should make a real difference Only one of the HDD s is sen by the External hard drives not seen by new PC PC it flat out refuses to see the other I have swapped around the ports and the leads and it makes no difference it will only see one I have plugged the drives into a laptop and they work fine in that just not in the PC Aside from backup I have information on each External hard drives not seen by new PC that I really need access to on a daily basis so switching them around is a real pain ITA I have tried plugging them all into a hub then into the osame socket with the one that works but that dumb idea didn t help either Working with the laptop isn t a runner as it s my wife s and she needs that I ve no idea when if at all my original machine will be back on track It seems crazy that by upgrading to Win that there should be less compatibility rather than more Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions BC nbsp

Relevancy 67.51%

Hi all, I'm thinking about getting a digital camcorder soon and do some video editing on my PC. I know this requires a lot of hard disk space so I was thinking about getting a 60GB hard drive. The thing is I heard that there are some new external hard drives out right now that connect to your PC via firewire (IEEE1394). These external drives are much more expensive than their internal counterparts, but I was wondering how would the performance compare to the internal drives? Would a 60 GB 7200 RPM external drive be as good as a 60 GB 7200 RPM internal drive?
It would be really cool if these firewire drives would handle video editing as good or better than their internal counterparts because you can do editing on your desktop PC at home or on the road with a laptop.

Thanks.

The last review on hard drives that I seen about a month ago gave the gold medal still to the scuzzy drives but IDE drives are catching up the Firewire drives were very slow compared to the IDE drives and much more expensive. here is a review I found for one http://www.pcplus.co.uk/article.asp?id=29569&cat=REVEW
I dont know if this is the type of thing you are looking for?
http://www.latimes.com/technology/consumer/la-000045568jun30.story?coll=la-technology-consumer
this is for another the transfer times tell there own story
hope this helps

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drives.57082/
Relevancy 67.51%

hey all im new to this site, i have recently bought a new external hard drive 200gb and it is connected up into a network of 4 computers, and i have put my extensive music collection on to it, i was wondering how to access these files via WMP or can i not?? also do i have to open each individual folder/album to get WMP to regognise it or can i "scan" my network for music files??

thanks x

Relevancy 67.51%

I have a upgraded XP to Vista Premium computer and none of the external thumb or hard drives can be accessed whereas they work fine on other vista computers in my office. Also, if I right click properties, the SECURITY tab is not there to own the external drive!

What do you recommend?

Randall

A:USB External Drives Cannot be accessed

Check in Device Manager whether the drivers are OK.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/241252-usb-external-drives-cannot-accessed.html
Relevancy 67.51%

I have a Dell 8200 and have installed several external hard drives via Fire Wire. I have a DVD burner, a Maxtor external drive and a Western Dig ext hard drive piggy backed. XP seems to suddenly no longer recognize the information on the Western Dig drive. It sees the drive but either gives me a error message that is needs to be formatted or that is isn't a format it recognizes. This was suddenly and without any warning. The Maxtor hard drives seems very hot to touch. Is the firewire the problem, is piggy backing the problem or is XP the problem? This is the second hard drive I have lost (with all data) in a month. I can't figure out what is causing this. Things seem to be humming along and then suddenly I can't get to that hard drive.

A:External Hard drives

Hard to say, I've seen this mentioned here a few times. FWIW, I have a bunch of USB/Firewire hard disks (7 total) and I've never had any issues with them losing data. I've had drives fail over the years, but the drive is really dead, a different issue.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drives.260770/
Relevancy 67.51%

Hello My computer is starting to do some scary stuff Before it crashes and I lose all my priceless digital photos of my baby girl I want drives external hard I think to get an external hard drive to dump all my photos and tunes onto A knowledgable friend of mine suggested getting a GB RPM EHD from Western Digital Maxtor and Lacie are also good he said What I don t know is whether I should get a quot one-touch quot option - external hard drives or is that a bell whistle I don t really need And I also want to know whether I should get both firewire and USB connection capabilites even though I only have USB at this time For what it s worth my PC runs Windows external hard drives ME Also I m wondering whether it matters if the EHD s case is not the original manufacturer s - like many on offer from GoGo City for example I like the idea of having an external separate HD that can t be affected by viruses worms that might get into my main HD Anyone able to help me sort this out and clarify my search a bit Much appreciation in advance CCF nbsp

A:external hard drives

You may want to consider another variation.

HDD caddies are cheap, and allow easy removal of a secondary HDD from the PC. This is a very economical way of backup, and I think you are wise to consider the need.

Otherwise I would be quite happy with the use of a HDD in a "generic" USB or Firewire case.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drives.237186/