Windows Support Forum

Dell Inspiron 6400: Screen not working or going into hibernation

Q: Dell Inspiron 6400: Screen not working or going into hibernation

I have a Dell Inspiron When I turn it on I see the usual initial screen the windows logo and the loading bar below it Then the screen turns off working going hibernation or Dell into 6400: not Inspiron Screen a bit like hibernation If I leave it there I eventually hear the usual sound of windows loading up that I would Dell Inspiron 6400: Screen not working or going into hibernation be familiar with when one reaches the desktop stage after startup At this point if I close down the laptop and open it back up the screen lights up and displays the screen that usually comes up when someone reactivates a turned-on laptop blue screen with the button in the middle and the account name and status locked However the entire screen is slightly off in colour But before I can click the button to unlock the account the screen goes black again So that s what s happening all the time now Initially I had been using the laptop and it was working fine Then left the room Then returned and was looking at the screen not touching the cursor and the computer went black like it would if no user had been inputting into it So the screen going black seemed normal at first But since that occurred I have not been able to interface with the computer SO the computer seems to be working and the screen can display But it keeps going black As if the computer keeps thinking its time to hibernate I looked at the dell site about opening it up and i read posts about other people opening their laptop to fix issues with screen I m not sure what I d be looking for though One unusual occurrence was I started the computer the windows logo was displayed the screen went black I closed down the screen within seconds at this stage I did not know that it would eventually still load if I left it open Then after or minutes the computer was making beeps Three loud beeps in a row then ascending-descending-ascending-descending beeps with the A and lights flashing with the pattern too Opening the laptop the screen started up then died as per usual The second I saw the screen it looked like it had low resolution and basic colours It reminded me of back when computers had colours Real early windows look Some window was open with some options to select No idea what it was this only happened once nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-6400-screen-not-working-or-going-into-hibernation.171362/
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Dell Inspiron 6400: Screen not working or going into hibernation

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 100.19%

i have lots of problems since its old and over used but recently it used to close itself then when i close it and reopen after a while it give me message that it was over heated but opens fine after i skip it i think its not a heat problem cause sometimes it close after a while anyway today when i was using it i noticed the light beep 6400 turns black after screen dell my and inspiron dell getting darker than normal in seconds then suddenly screen turned black i tried to close it and reopen i my dell inspiron 6400 turns black after dell screen and beep see dell start screen and low beep then screen turn black but its still working and i can hear it open normally just screen black i tried to take off battery AC chord and pressing power button for a while but didnt work same thing happens though the screen sometimes give red light i tried to work with AC chord or battery only still not working i tried to connect my laptop to another screen but it doesnt connect my dell inspiron 6400 turns black after dell screen and beep i dont know if it needs options first or no but with black screen i cant see everything to download program if i need well i dont know whats wrong all my dell inspiron 6400 turns black after dell screen and beep happens dell start screen low current beep then open normally but with black screen a note if it helps my screen side cover broken did that cause problem or it doesnt matter EDIT i tried to open it again its fine but screen black i can barely see shadow of everything i think something happened from cover damage or is it something else message edited by mamera

A:my dell inspiron 6400 turns black after dell screen and beep

Best first step would be to beg or borrow a monitor and plug it in as an external. That would tell you if you have a monitor fault or not.Always pop back and let us know the outcome - thanks

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-xp/my-dell-inspiron-6400-turns-black-after-dell-screen-and-beep/203157.html
Relevancy 98.9%

Hi, I have been helping a friend to remove unnecessary software from her Dell pc. Since I did this it stalls at the 'welcome' screen after she inputs her password. If I press Ctrl/alt/del briefly it will continue to load as normal. I have unchecked and stopped various programmes that might be slowing it up eg java jusched.exe, adobe updater, and removed others that are not needed such as Works, orange preload, roxio, quickset, net waiting. The hard drive seems to run very slowly. I have also installed and run ccleaner and eusing reg cleaner, which I have used on my own machine for some time.

It has Hijackthis on the machine, but I am not sure how to upload a log to this site, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

A:Dell Inspiron 6400 stalls at welcome screen

quicksetClick to expand...

This is critical Dell software for the notebook, normally installed first when a clean install of XP is done.

http://support.dell.com/support/dow...typeid=-1&dateid=-1&formatid=-1&fileid=209859

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-inspiron-6400-stalls-at-welcome-screen.871486/
Relevancy 96.32%

Hello For some reason my card stopped working I tried reinstalling the driver fn f to activate my pro inspiron wireless dell 6400 3945ABG intel card working stopped card from my keyboard and a few others basic thing nothing is dell inspiron 6400 intel pro wireless 3945ABG card stopped working showing up where I am with other PC I can see at least networks my PC gets nothing im running vista bit intel pro wireless ABG dell inspiron laptop I also tried a fixit microsoft tool for network didnt work Im on the net now using wired cable from my router and its ok but I need my wireless on the road ------------ I have uninstalled reinstalled the driver I did a fresh format last week I cant reset TCP IP I get access denied even in safe mode I did use many different use for removal of malware on my pc im using avg chkdsk found no problems I did try alot of things anyone has any idea what can be done Windows IP Configuration Host Name john-PCtop Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List Dog Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Intel R PRO Wireless ABG Network Connection Physical Address - - - - - DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Dog Description Broadcom x Integrated Controller Physical Address - -B - D- - A DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe f ef d f Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Saturday January AM Lease Expires Sunday January AM Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Dog Description isatap Dog Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe efe Preferred Default Gateway DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Disabled Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - E- DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IPv Address d ab b b f ff Preferred Link-local IPv Address fe b b f ff Preferred Default Gateway NetBIOS over Tcpip Disabled Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap A FD - - F -ADED-DD DE BD Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Farbar Service Scanner Version - - Ran by john administrator on - - at Running from quot C Users john Downloads quot Windows Vista TM Home Premium Service Pack X Boot Mode Normal Internet Services Connection Status Localhost is accessible LAN connected Attempt to access Google IP returned error Google IP is offline Google com is accessible Yahoo IP is accessible Yahoo com is accessible Windows Firewall Firewall Disabled Policy System Restore System Restore Disabled Policy Security Center Windows Update Windows Autoupdate Disabled Policy Windows Defender Other Services File Check C Windows system nsisvc dll gt MD is legit C Windows system Drivers nsiproxy sys gt MD is legit C Windows system dhcpcsvc dll gt MD is legit C Windows system Drivers afd sys gt MD is legit C Windows system Drivers tdx sys gt MD is legit C Windows system Drivers tcpip sys gt MD is legit C Windows system dnsrslvr dll gt MD is legit C Windows system mpssvc dll gt MD is legit C Windows system bfe dll gt MD is legit C Windows system Drivers mpsdrv sys gt MD is legit C Windows system SDRSVC dll gt MD is legit C Windows system vssvc exe gt MD is legit C Windows system wscsvc dll gt MD is legit C Windows system wbem WMIsvc dll gt MD is legit C Windows system wuaueng dll gt MD is legit C Windows system qmgr dll gt MD is legit C Windows system es dll gt MD is legit C Windows system cryptsvc dll gt MD is legit C Program Files Windows Defender MpSvc dll gt MD is legit C Windows system ipnath... Read more

A:dell inspiron 6400 intel pro wireless 3945ABG card stopped working

Wehen you go into the device manger, do you see the wireless card?

Its quite possible the cards died, and yes they usually replaceable.

Have you by any chance dropped or bumped it fairly hard?

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/299499-dell-inspiron-6400-intel-pro-wireless-3945abg-card-stopped-working.html
Relevancy 95.46%

Hello,

For some reason my card stopped working, I tried reinstalling the driver, fn + f2, and a few others basic thing, nothing is showing up, where I am with my phone I can see at least 5 network. my PC gets nothing,
im running vista 32bit
intel pro wireless 3945ABG
dell inspiron laptop 6400
I also tried a fixit microsoft tool for network, didnt work,
Im on the net now using wired cable from my router

Let me know if I need to run any commands, if so tell me how and how to copy paste here, im a little new to this

thanks for the help

A:Solved: dell inspiron 6400 intel pro wireless 3945ABG card stopped working

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-dell-inspiron-6400-intel-pro-wireless-3945abg-card-stopped-working.1085043/
Relevancy 95.46%

Hello,

For some reason my card stopped working, I tried reinstalling the driver, fn + f2, and a few others basic thing, nothing is showing up, where I am with my phone I can see at least 5 network. my PC gets nothing,
im running vista 32bit
intel pro wireless 3945ABG
dell inspiron laptop 6400
I also tried a fixit microsoft tool for network, didnt work,
Im on the net now using wired cable from my router

Let me know if I need to run any commands, if so tell me how and how to copy paste here, im a little new to this

thanks for the help,

A:Solved: dell inspiron 6400 intel pro wireless 3945ABG card stopped working

please do duplicate posts
closing this one

contune here
http://forums.techguy.org/networking/1085043-dell-inspiron-6400-intel-pro.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-dell-inspiron-6400-intel-pro-wireless-3945abg-card-stopped-working.1085070/
Relevancy 94.6%

To whom it may concern...
My brother in laws daughter was playing games and has accidentally pressed some wrong button on his laptop changing the orientation of the monitor image. I'm a MacUser running Vista on Parallels... and I have been trying to figure out how to fix it for them. I have gone into Control Panel and then into Monitors... as I was hoping there would be a setting to rotate the monitor view.... but no such luck. Can anyone tell me how I can fix this... as his daughter also needs to have it working for school assignments.

Any comments most welcome...

Yours sincerely,
Anthony

A:Problem with Screen Orientation on Dell Inspiron 6400 Laptop running Vista ?

Ctrl + Alt + <an arrow key>

It can probably also be done where you are looking, but only for those monitors/cards/drivers that allow it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problem-with-screen-orientation-on-dell-inspiron-6400-laptop-running-vista.807876/
Relevancy 90.3%

My Dell Inspiron won t restore after hibernation After a recent Inspiron blank 1526 Dell after hibernation screen Vista update the laptop was placed in hibernation mode before the normal restart to complete update process After a minute or so i press a button expecting to see a logon screen instead the monitor was off blank screen with no power I presss every button but nothing happened After a restart the monitor remains off but i can still hear checking the cd drive I restarted several times trying the Fn F option with an external monitor and pressing the up button while holding Fn but still the same appear to be in a wierd state because i placed XP boot cd and restart then hit Enter several times If the monitor was the only problem then would boot from the cd as normal though i wont be able to see It doesn t it simply power up checks the cd drive then does nothing The Dell Inspiron 1526 blank screen after hibernation multimedia buttons lights up when i press them and the fan is on I don t have the warranty paperworks How can i fix it nbsp

A:Dell Inspiron 1526 blank screen after hibernation

Hi

if you remove the PSU lead and the battery and then replace them and boot and you get nothing come on the monitor then i would suggest the video card has failed or the screen has gone bad, if there is a socket for a vga monitor then plug one in and see if anything comes on the screen.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-1526-blank-screen-after-hibernation.136620/
Relevancy 85.57%

I bought a used computer that is exactly the same as the one I am using now. Do you think it is possible for me to take my old hard drive and just put it into the new computer?

Dell Inspiron 6400 to Dell Inspiron 6400.

They are both the same year and have the same numbers on the back. Do you know if there will be a problem taking my old hard drive and sticking it into the other computer.

I'm changing computers because my current one, has 'on' button troubles, the screens a bit flimsy on its hinges, and the upper right corner isn't connected where it should be.

I plan on copying all my data off the old hard drive just to keep it safe incase of trouble. Is there any easy why to do this?

Thanks.

Sincerely,
SJ More

Relevancy 85.57%

I was wondering if someone could e-mail me about my computer issues. I recently re-uploaded all my drivers and such to my dell. I cannot get my sound card to work from any of the drivers on dell. And when I log on it tells me that its found new hardware. some pci device but it wont let me dowload it cause it can't find it obviously. any help would be appreciated since dell won't help me anymore cause my warrenty is gone.

thanks

A:Dell Inspiron 6400 help

Hi theycallmejg15, and welcome to TSF.

Do you have any yellow exclamation marks in device manager?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/dell-inspiron-6400-help-284639.html
Relevancy 85.57%

Hi, I'm considering buying a Dell Inspiron 6400 notebook - Core T Duo processor 2400, 1GB RAM, Mobility Radeon X1300, 15.4-inch, 80GB hard drive - for 711. Dell seem to be the cheapest option around, but I wondered if anyone had any experience with them - particularly regarding their reliablity?

Are they a good buy? Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks, Jake

A:Dell Inspiron 6400

For me Dell laptops are amongst the worst made. The graphics are fair, but even when you unload all their proprietary crap software, I don't care how much ram you put in those things, they run like turtles.
For price and quality www.hpshopping.com blows them to bits with the same deals on free freight and free cdrw's or whatever today's special is. And don't be afraid of the Compaqs which are now their promo line, I am on an outstanding 17" model.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-inspiron-6400.474392/
Relevancy 85.57%

Hello guys i am having problems with my dell inspiron 6400.
Im stuck with my LCD and keyboard.
I have no picture on 6400 LCD but i have picture on external screen.
Same with keyboard i cant use my keyboard. It doesnt work (niether the brand new one), but external does.
Please Help!!

Thank You.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-inspiron-6400.741469/
Relevancy 85.57%

HI ALL

I am new to forum and I have a problem with my dell inspiron 6400 laptop. Actually I bought this from an unknown seller about a month ago. last night when I was working on it, It stop responding to me. So i press the power button to restart the computer. I shut off properly as the windows shuts down with all the messages but when i start it again it does not restart. Its lights come on for about three seconds and nothing on screen and then there is no light or power in it. I tried many things like with ac adapter or with out ac adapter or without hard drive or without dvd rom as told by dell technician.

If anybody has any idea or any suggestions, well come.

sajid

A:Dell Inspiron 6400

This is definitely a hardware issue. An essential hardware device is broken and the system can't even initialize.

I used to work for Dell. If the laptop is still under hardware warranty thy can send a technician to your place to fix it. If it's not still under warranty or the warranty is not transferable then you'll need to take it to a local computer store.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-6400.82484/
Relevancy 84.28%

I replaced my existing battery which only had a lifetime of just over a year with a new battery but I cant get it to charge beyond 57% any ideas

A:dell inspiron 6400 battery lap top

new adapter?? 12vadapters.com is a good source.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-inspiron-6400-battery-lap-top.699183/
Relevancy 84.28%

Hi. I have a Dell inspiron 6400 ( laptop ), 2 weeks ago when i tried to start up the machine not boot and a screen said No Boot sector on internal hard drive, No bootable devices press F1 etc... so, I put the hard drive in other laptop and I can see 2 partitions, I recovery all my files and then I formated the drive, put again in the Dell and reboot and said again same... I have a Hiren disk and tried to boot with them, but give a error when the disk tried to load the cd drivers ( Itried whit differents boot disk and ever is the same error ) The memory is ok ( 1 GB ) the processor is ok. I install other hard disk and is same.. so I think the disk is not the problem. The bios version is A17 and is the most newer. Please some give a help ???

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-inspiron-6400-not-boot.859290/
Relevancy 84.28%

Hi everyone,

I have a dell inspiron 6400 notebook which I am planning on connecting (permenently) to my TV to use with a remote keyboard. I am planning on just putting the computer on the shelf with my dvd player etc, so I was wondering if I could completely remove the monitor part of the computer so I don't have to take it out and lift the monitor to turn it on every time. If I disconnect the LCD, will the computer run fine if attached to the TV or will this throw it off in any way?

Thanks for any help in advance,

Justin,

A:Dell Inspiron 6400 - run without monitor?

You do not need an external monitor for a laptop at all
Maybe I don't understand the question well enough, but a computer does not need a monitor to turn on and boot up, but a laptop has a built in screen, so I'm a tad confused anyway

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-6400-run-without-monitor.126262/
Relevancy 84.28%

Hi i have a dell inspiron 6400 win vista home premium with Intel Onboard 256 MB Graphics and 1 Gig RAM. I installed Prince Of Persia (the two thrones) and after that each time i start my laptop i get a message saying Starforce Protection Driver Incompatible and it switches theme to win vista basic and all my games have started to look so ugly. everything's graphics has gone bad. i even re installed my video driver from dell driver cd but nothin helps.can anyone help me plz ?

A:Graphics gone bad on Dell inspiron 6400

the problem is starforce. look for updates to that. if the game is warez forget about playig it.if you bought the game go to the website for it and look around

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/graphics-gone-bad-on-dell-inspiron-6400.638816/
Relevancy 84.28%

Hi people hope you are laptop 6400 inspiron Dell all well This is my first post and I hope you can help me because I feel I am going in sane else I have a Bought a Dell inspiron laptop It is Dell inspiron 6400 laptop running Vista Dell inspiron 6400 laptop and everything works perfectly except the sound Dell inspiron 6400 laptop I have unistalled drivers intalled the Dell drivers as recommended but still nothing There is no sound at all on start up windows sound internet media player I have even tried to plug it in to the super video outlet and play it through a TV and still no sound I have tried the head phone socket with good headphones and that does not work either I have taken it apart to check the speakers and cables and they are plugged in correctly and not broken and the cable is good I think it must be down to the motherboard that controls the sound because the laptop dictates everything is working correctly and when you play music you can see the bars jumping in tune it is though you have got the sound turned down to it is set on Any help guys n girls Den nbsp

Relevancy 84.28%

Hi. I have a Dell inspiron 6400 ( laptop ), 2 weeks ago when i tried to start up the machine not boot and a screen said No Boot sector on internal hard drive, No bootable devices press F1 etc... so, I put the hard drive in other laptop and I can see 2 partitions, I recovery all my files and then I formated the drive, put again in the Dell and reboot and said again same... I have a Hiren disk and tried to boot with them, but give a error when the disk tried to load the cd drivers ( Itried whit differents boot disk and ever is the same error ) The memory is ok ( 1 GB ) the processor is ok. I install other hard disk and is same.. so I think the disk is not the problem. The bios version is A17 and is the most newer. Please some give a help ???

A:Dell Inspiron 6400 not boot

Go to the Bios with the drive attached and see if it is being recognized. If not then you should open the case and make sure the IDE cable is connected properly to the MOBO and the drive. You may have a bad controller.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/dell-inspiron-6400-not-boot-412264.html
Relevancy 84.28%

i didn't find any where dell inspiron 6400 drivers for win 7...pleas help me....thank you ....

A:dell inspiron 6400 drivers for win 7

Quote: Originally Posted by aLLy07

i didn't find any where dell inspiron 6400 drivers for win 7...pleas help me....thank you ....

Hello aLLy07, and welcome to Windows Seven Forums!

There are no drivers available specifically for the Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop in Windows 7. However there are 32 bit Vista drivers that should work. Actually, Microsoft Update *should* find all the drivers your laptop needs to run Windows 7 32 Bit. If you need a driver for a specific hardware device (like a wireless card) please say so and we can see what can be done.

Drivers & Downloads

Cheers!
Robert

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/53027-dell-inspiron-6400-drivers-win-7-a.html
Relevancy 84.28%

i've been looking around for days, so i wouldnt be posting here unless i was completely desperate.

i got my laptop, Dell Inspiron 6400 about 2 weeks ago. Tried Vista, hated it.. formatted to my old XP Home. realised i had to download and install all the drivers myself as i dont have any cd's or manuals from Dell. so i did that..

only problem is my 'Ethernet Controller' and 2 'PCI Devices# have yellow exclamation marks next to them, and i have no sound on the laptop. ive tried absolutely everything. hundreds of different drivers, tutorials, etc. i'm very desperate. i need my sound back. please help if you have ANY idea's.

thanks very much.

Relevancy 84.28%

my wired network card is not recognizing my connection, but the wifi is fine. the card itself is enabled, i updated the drivers to the latest of my knowledge. i am running vista home, the card is a broadcom 440x 10/ 100 Integrated Controller.

any insight into this would be appreciated

A:dell inspiron 6400 problems

i have looked into the problem further and i notice that my PCI Bus 3 function 1 2 and 3 in the device manager are not recognized (they have the ! by them) which coinciedently is where the network card is located.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-inspiron-6400-problems.757414/
Relevancy 84.28%

Hi,

I got a dell Inspiron 6400, when I turn it on it's turning off immediately after the bios loads..

Sometimes it loads to the windows and if I try to load a CD it just turns off or if I try to boot with a CD it turns off, also I managed to do a diagnostic test and got the DST Fail error code: 1000-0146

You have any idea what the problem could be?

Thanks,
Pizu

Relevancy 84.28%

Dear guys,
I try to install Win7 on my Dell inspiron 6400 befor i hav VISTA running on my Laptop. i try to format my laptop then boot from windows 7 ultimate cd but every time its getting error when goes to format the hard drive. i also try to change the HDD 1st i replace my 120sata with 250 gb but my laptop not detect that hdd in bios that 250seagate is brand new and working on other PC fine. then i try 160 hdd and same problem came during format the partion during windows 7 setup. then i try to install XP on Same HDD and same problem came when WIN XP Setup goes to format the Partion. Now i am Stuck in the middle of nowhere Plzz some one Help me Out.....

A:Installing WIN 7 on DELL INSPIRON 6400

Can you trigger the Dell Recovery partition to return your computer to factory condition in order to Update BIOS?

If Recovery partition will not run using cNTRL + f11 or whatever key combination they tell you to use, then you have nothing to lose and can wipe the HD which might stop one of the utility/boot partitions from interfering with install.

Boot Windows 7 install DVD Repair console or Repair CD, choose Command Line, type:

DISKPART
LIST DISK
SELECT DISK # (replace # with Windows 7 HD)
CLEAN ALL (zeroes HD for deepest clean, takes about an hour per 320gb, drop "all" if you want shorter)
EXIT

Now boot back into the installer to attempt Custom install, using Drive Options to create New partition and Format.

Try also removing all but 2gb of RAM to try install, reset the CMOS: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixthe.../clearcmos.htm What is the SATA controller setting? Try AHCI, then IDE.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/91300-installing-win-7-dell-inspiron-6400-a.html
Relevancy 83.42%

A few days ago, I installed Windows 7 on my laptop, a Dell Inspiron 6400. I downloaded the Vista drivers for my bluetooth module as there were no W7 drivers available. Whenever I try to install the drivers, the setup asks to enable bluetooth by pressing Fn+F2. So I press Fn+F2 and the only thing happening is my WiFi switching on and off. Nothing happens to my bluetooth and therefor I can't continue the setup. How do I get my bluetooth to work. I checked the BIOS, bluethooth-module is enabled.

A:Enabling bluetooth on Dell Inspiron 6400

Try this - Drivers and Downloads

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/65351-enabling-bluetooth-dell-inspiron-6400-a.html
Relevancy 83.42%

I have a dell inspirion laptop 6400 running xp home.

i turned on my laptop today and i gt a message telling me that it can'r recognize my ac power adapter. says it will power the laptop but wont charge the battery. says i can reset the power adapter.

does anyone know how to reset it?

Relevancy 83.42%

Okay startup 6400 inspiron dell problem so I m having problems starting up my dell inspiron I m trying to convert it into a touch screen because its my old laptop but I haven t even started that yet My power adapter was bad and the computer would start up before but the power button was sometimes act strange and would take a few pushes to start up but some other times it would start up immediately So my computer was already telling me that I had a bad charger which had exposed wire So I immediately thought that getting a new charger would take care of the problem Now I got a new power adapter and new battery and it wont start up The battery charged normally with dell inspiron 6400 startup problem the green light and then shut off when fully charged I have no indications of the new power supply being bad at all I can press the media direct button for dell and it starts right up immediately So I know that the new power supply and the new battery is good I can run that just fine with no problems I fell the power button and it feels just fine So what should I do My power button is on the same board that the other media direct button is on So I would have no intentions on thinking that there is anything wrong with the board Plus my other question would be that Is there any possible way someone could hack into your computer and somehow prevent it from turning on like this Whether through the web or in person at the computer I know a few people who would find this very funny to play a practical joke on me Considering that it is my old laptop and I really wanted to convert this into a touch screen nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-inspiron-6400-startup-problem.1051635/
Relevancy 83.42%

Dell Inspiron 6400 bios master code please

Please........

I need help removing a bios password from a Dell Inspiron 6400

G07S72J service tag

34841590219 express service code

Thank you so much. I really appreciate any help given.

A:Dell Inspiron 6400 bios password help please

Hello, arguc, and welcome to Techspot :wave:

Please take a moment to read the following threads to make your experience here as enjoyable as possible

Message for all newcomers

SNGX1275's Guide to making a good post/thread

The Techspot FAQ

If you could take a minute to fill in some of your profile information that would be helpful to all members of the forum
Knowing someone's location in the world can be extremely helpful, even if you just put a country.

Also remember to post any problems or questions that you have in the appropriate forums

With regards to your problem, please see this thread: Dell Bios Password removal. Read this first BEFORE posting and this thread to post your information, if your PC can be unlocked. Dell Bios Password removal (Nov-Dec 2007)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-6400-bios-password-help-please.95180/
Relevancy 83.42%

Hi,
I wandered if it is at all possible for me to purchase a Blu-Ray internal optical drive for my Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop?
If so would I need to change the drive bezel in order to install it?
Also another question with the Dell Inspiron 6400.....
I am looking to fit an SSD inside of the machine rather than the standard conventional hard drive that is already installed, is this possible?
Many thanks!

A:Dell Inspiron 6400 Blu-Ray drive installation + SSD

You can use a standard 2.5" SATA SSD, but will need a shim to mount it (SSDs are all 7 mm in height;  the carrier in your system is designed for a 9.5 mm drive).  Crucial supplies the shim with most drives -- others may not.
That said, your system won't be able to fully use an SSD's bandwidth -- you'll never see the full throughput because of the advanced age of the system and limitations of the chipset.  Make sure you're running Windows 7 or newer as well - XP doesn't work well with SSDs.
As for Blu-Ray, if it's for data storage, you can use an external drive.  I wouldn't bother with an internal -- they generate quite a bit of heat the system may not handle.  If you're thinking of using a BluRay for movies, forget it on this system  - the video chip is just too weak to handle BluRay playback.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19991301
Relevancy 83.42%

Hello everyone,
Recently the 4 key on my laptop fell off, and I do not want to do anything to mess it up before finding out if there is a safe way to put it on without replacing the whole keyboard(i could do that, have done it before, but I do not feel like spending the dough for a new keyboard). Thanks in advance,
Ilya

PS: would superglue do the trick??

Relevancy 83.42%

Hiya guys,

I bought myself a bluetooth module (Truemobile 360 Bluetooth), and can't seem to find the right bluetooth peripheral device drivers.

I run Vista Ultimate

Any help much appreciated

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-dell-inspiron-6400-vs-bluetooth.723122/
Relevancy 83.42%

I have a Dell inspiron 6400 with a bad battery. When I plug in the ac adapter the unit powers up. When I hold the power button down to shutdown, it does.. then it comes back on again by itself. So I think....let it boot to Win XP and shutdown from the desktop. START....turn off computer...turn off...10 seconds later...post beep and power on! What is going on? Got any ideas?

A:Dell Inspiron 6400 auto power-up

read the approrpriate bios beep guide in the guides forum to determine your beep codes.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-6400-auto-power-up.117036/
Relevancy 83.42%

A few days back a thick pink band started appearing on my dell lcd This caused my pictures to appear bad but i was still using the laptop A few days later the laptop screen started displaying poor artifacts flickering and blanked out after a while All through when connected to an external montor the display was perfect Today i replaced the LCD inverter and video cable Dell LCD flicker Inspiron E1505/6400 with those i pulled from another working inspiron e my friend s While the pink band is gone on my Dell Inspiron E1505/6400 LCD flicker e the poor display artifact flicker and blanking out continues When i boot up the Dell logo will appear some times and the display will flicker all the way till i land on the page where i select the log in user Once i select the user and land on the desktop and after a while the Dell Inspiron E1505/6400 LCD flicker screen will blank out All through the picture i seen on the lcd is of poor quality The display is perfect on external monitor even now Here are some details about my laptop Windows Home Premum -Version Build about a year back upgraded from xp professsional Processor Genuine Intel R CPU T GHz Mhz Core s Logical Processor s BIOS Version Date Dell Inc A SMBIOS Version NVidia GeForce Go display adapter The old LCD was an AU OPTRONICS B EW LCD The new LCD is a Samsung taken from my friends e I have checked the connections multiple times Please let me know what could be causing the poor lcd display Should i be using the old inverter connected to the faulty lcd instead of the one that come attached with the working lcd Should i reinstall my OS from an old image As mentioned the LCD inverter and video cables are from a perfectly working laptop running XP media center os Any help is very much appreciated nbsp

A:Dell Inspiron E1505/6400 LCD flicker

I replaced my nVidia 7300 graphics adapter with ATI X1300. This fixed the flicker issue. Now the laptop works great !!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-e1505-6400-lcd-flicker.150289/
Relevancy 83.42%

Guys My Dell just hangs I cannot do anything meaningful I just bought it and installed some programs now i uninstalled everything i did but still hangs and works very slow After sometime it crashes with the blue screen of death I even tried upgrading to XP Professional but the upgrading 6400 Inspiron Slow issues Dell so slow to Is it a virus spyware I have the file that keeps showing up Dell 6400 Slow Inspiron issues in different parts of my computer called asp net Dunno if thats the issue Right now the system is almost useless boots slow logins slow you clikc a folder its so slow Please help I have little or no programs Just the basics and microsoft word How can a gig memory be burdended with that Not that the system crawls but it has momentary delays Dell 6400 Slow Inspiron issues You know when you click the start button and it takes a Dell 6400 Slow Inspiron issues extra seconds to respond Same with opening other programs and folders Even shutting down and starting up takes more time Even when am using an application it delays like as if there is a service drawing the system resources and then it releases and its free again There is something i NOTICE NO THAT WHEN THE SYSTEM BOOTS IT DISPLAY THE MY DOCUMENTS FOLDERS FOR NO REASON I HAVE TRIED ANTISPYWARE AND ANTIVIRUS DONE EVERYTHING IF I PLAY VIDEONS GAMES OR AUDIO I GET A BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH

A:Dell 6400 Slow Inspiron issues

Someone say somnething.
I think i have hupigon malware after running a pandaonline scan

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/dell-6400-slow-inspiron-issues-282528.html
Relevancy 83.42%

Hi All

Im running Windows Vista. The original battery wouldnt hold charge and could only use while AC adaptor was plugged in. Since then I bought a non original replacement battery and the system does not recognise it. I have tried closing the UAC and downloading the BIOS off Dell Support but for some reason the battery is still not charging and the battery indicator flashes from red to green.... On start up it displays that it does not recognise the battery and to continue have to hit the f1 key. I have also tried reseating the battery but to no avail. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Sean

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-inspiron-6400-battery-problem.878994/
Relevancy 83.42%

Hi I ve been kindly helped on this forum before and am Inspiron 6400 Dell slow Painfully hoping i might get some help again I have a Dell Inspiron which is and always has run very slowly I know this is not a high spec machine but the computer is used purely for word processing and web surfing I have uninstalled McAfee and installed Avira which found only warning I also installed MWB antimalware which found a number a suspicious files which were removed Then i downloaded defraggler which told me the drive was defragmented It has since been defragmented I am only today noticing that the drive is partitioned which isn t necessary for the owner so if Painfully slow Dell Inspiron 6400 someone could also tell me how to undo that My main worry however is that there must be some kind of malware on the computer that is causing this speed issue I have disabled as many unneccesary startup procceses as i safely could but it is very slow on startup and program loading Below i have attached the HJT log and would very much appreciate anyone s help Thanks Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe Painfully slow Dell Inspiron 6400 C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Windows Defender MsMpEng exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin EvtEng exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin S EvMon Painfully slow Dell Inspiron 6400 exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin WLKeeper exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files Avira AntiVir Desktop sched exe C Program Files Avira AntiVir Desktop avguard exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared VS DEBUG MDM EXE C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Dell QuickSet NICCONFIGSVC exe C Program Files Avira AntiVir Desktop avshadow exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin RegSrvc exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Intel Wireless bin ZCfgSvc exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin ifrmewrk exe C Program Files Creative Mixer CTSVolFE exe C WINDOWS system dla tfswctrl exe C Program Files Windows Defender MSASCui exe C Program Files Avira AntiVir Desktop avgnt exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C PROGRA Intel Wireless Bin Dot XCfg exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C WINDOWS system msiexec exe C Program Files Java jre bin jqs exe C Program Files HJT Trend Micro HiJackThis HiJackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www google ie R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search CustomizeSearch R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Connection Wizard ShellNext http us mcafee com root learnmore learnmore asp close true amp lcode en-us O - BHO HP Print Enhancer - C E- - -BF - C - C Program Files HP Digital Imaging Smart Web Printing hpswp printenhancer dll O - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Reader ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO Skype add-on mastermind - BF B-C D - d - A -A F BA C - C PROGRA Skype Phone IEPlugin SKYPEI DLL O - BHO DriveLetterAccess - CA D E- - CF- E - - C WINDOWS system dla tfswshx dll O - BHO Browser Address Error Redirector - CA C - B - E-... Read more

Relevancy 83.42%

Hello i have a dell inspiron laptop and from the day i got it it never worked the playback works fine but the Microphone dosent

does any one know about this problem?

mizaan

A:Dell Inspiron 6400 Microphone Problem!

are you sure you've turned the recording level up?

look at this thread, and let us know if it works.

http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/160667-dell-inspiron-6400-microphone-problem.html
Relevancy 83.42%

Hi all,
After I loaded to my laptop 7, bluetooth doesnt work. I just cant find on web '' silicon wave bluetooth wireless adapter '' driver. Can anyone help ?

A:dell inspiron 6400 bluetooth problem

Quote: Originally Posted by Asgz

Hi all,
After I loaded to my laptop 7, bluetooth doesnt work. I just cant find on web '' silicon wave bluetooth wireless adapter '' driver. Can anyone help ?

Try this : Silicon Wave Bluetooth Device driver

REMEMBER TO READ THE INSTRUCTIONS! THEY'RE UNDER THE DOWNLOAD BUTTON.

ZeshanA
If I helped, click the scales above my post and click I Approve.

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/43774-dell-inspiron-6400-bluetooth-problem.html
Relevancy 83.42%

My Inspiron laptop has been working fine for me for the past year or so, I decided to back up my files on a Lacie external hard drive and sought after a way to reformat without using the vista cd (b/c dell never sent me a copy from the factory).

In the Recovery Drive (D i found the option PCRESTORE under Tools folder. The option was everything I needed but when I ran it i would get an Error message without text. This message pops up after only a second of the wipeout process. I cannot find the file pcrestore anyone on the net and I'm not knowledgeable enough about computers to know wtf it's doing that.

Any input on how to just reformat my laptop w/o cd or to get prestore back operational would be great! Thanks ahead of time!

A:Dell Inspiron 6400 System restore

That restore has to be run from the pre bios, use F8 after restart at the Dell logo screen to use PC restore.

Using any other method to install XP or Vista will break the PC restore feature on a Dell.

See this article,
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?docid=336966

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-inspiron-6400-system-restore.854820/
Relevancy 83.42%

Lately I have been getting BSOD on a old but reliable Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop. The BSOD message I get is "Driver Power State failure". It does not happen regularly or follow a pattern. It is random (but follows Murphy's law and happens when I have not saved an important document

Any help will be appreciated.

Perfmon.html and Windows_NT6_BSOD_jcgriff2.zip file is attached as a single .zip package.

A:Occasional BSOD on Dell Inspiron 6400

No DMP included in upload try this method.

We do need the DMP file as it contains the only record of the sequence of events leading up to the crash, what drivers were loaded, and what was responsible.
Please attach the DMP files to your next post not to post one.

If you are overclocking STOP

You may be able to get the DMP files without crashing by booting into safe mode (F8) with networking.

To enable us to assist you with your computer's BSOD symptoms, upload the contents of your "\Windows\Minidump" folder. If empty (or non existent) please look in the following folders. C:\windows (the dmp should be called memory.dmp), and C:\windows\LiveKernelReports\Watchdog.

The procedure:

Quote:
* Copy the contents of \Windows\Minidump to another (temporary) location somewhere on your machine.
* Zip up the copy.
* Attach the ZIP archive to your post using the "paperclip" (file attachments) button.
*If the files are too large please upload them to a file sharing service like "Rapidshare" and put a link to them in your reply.

To ensure minidumps are enabled:

Quote:
* Go to Start, in the Search Box type: sysdm.cpl, press Enter.
* Under the Advanced tab, click on the Startup and Recovery Settings... button.
* Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked.
* Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box (the 256kb varies).
* Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump.
* OK your way out.
* Reboot if changes have been made.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/231628-occasional-bsod-dell-inspiron-6400-a.html
Relevancy 83.42%

Hello
I have a Dell Inspiron 6400 with windows vista home basic running at 32 bit and i can't seem to get my Microphone driver to work i tried downloading a few and succesfully installed but when i want to use it it won't work advise would be lovely

thanks

mizzeeboy

A:Dell Inspiron 6400 Microphone Problem!?

Go into device manager and look for sound or microphone and update latest driver.
Best bet is to go to Dell Inspiron 6400 and get latest driver downloads or Dell tech support and ask for help with you microphone.
THW

http://www.vistax64.com/sound-audio/289607-dell-inspiron-6400-microphone-problem.html
Relevancy 83.42%

My sister's Dell Inspiron 6400 has a weird habit of randomly restarting without any error notifications. However, this is not happening when the computer is running in safe mode. My initial reaction because i didn't have much time to search around for the problem was to do a format and start again. This done the problem still persists. My second reaction was maybe heat and running speedfan I'm getting the following temperatures:

HD0: 44C
Temp1: 63C
Core 0: 44C
Core 1: 48C

Temp1 seems a little high to me but is it high enough to trigger a restart?

This has really stumped me any suggestions would be much appreciated.

A:Dell Inspiron 6400 random restarts

Yes, over heating will cause restarts. Check in the Bios for temps and voltage as well. Blow out all fans with compressed air especially the processor fan and heat sync.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/dell-inspiron-6400-random-restarts-399155.html
Relevancy 83.42%

Today I impulsively reformatted my laptop without properly looking into steps that would need to be taken to get it up and running again I don't Inspiron Dell 6400 Reformat issue expect any sympathy I screwed this up and I take responsibility for it but I'm just hoping there might be a way to undo the damage I did Basically after months of battling with random browser crashes on all browsers I tried Firefox IE Chrome Safari I was nearly at my wit's end with how much I Dell Inspiron 6400 Reformat issue could take my laptop inconveniencing me before I tossed it out the window seriously Today was the worst of the Dell Inspiron 6400 Reformat issue worst I installed nothing new I was just browsing like usual and suddenly every site I tried to go to Dell Inspiron 6400 Reformat issue gave me this The connection to the server at address was interrupted while the page was loading This was on Firefox It just instantly went to this page it made no effort to load Third party applications like AIM didn't work but for some reason Gmail did quot Gmail com quot didn't work Neither did my Gmail bookmark But in Firefox I have this little Gmail extension that keeps a button in the lower right hand corner of the browser and lets me know when I have something in my inbox I forget the name exactly But for some reason that would load fine but I could not get to anything else Also every other computer in the house was working perfectly I ran Norton Antivirus nothing and Spybot S amp D which found more spyware than it usually does including two Trojans and a keylogger This made me nervous The combination of this having a new GB hard drive that I could put everything important on the fact that I have years worth of stuff on here which I never use only use Internet pretty much and the fact that randomly about three weeks ago the boot up time quadrupled led me to impulsively decide to reformat Seriously my old Windows Gateway desktop that I had for like eight years puts it to shame The reformat went well but I didn't read how to do it right so now I'm left without any drivers My laptop comes with a Wifi adapter but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to turn it on Fn F does not work A google search reveals that a missing driver may be the problem for this as well The problem is quot drivers quot are basically where my computer literacy stops I've read other people having the same problems with missing drivers wifi sound etc I do have a CD for sound though that I'm imagining will fix it but the responses don't help me because I don't know anything about drivers People say to try installing certain drivers first but my problem begins with not even knowing where to go to get drivers I don't know what order to put them in or even how I would go about getting them on my laptop considering it currently refuses to connect to the internet even directly through the ethernet which is weird and why I brought up that it wasn't working earlier but I chalked it up to a virus Maybe some kind of failure no idea So I just didn't bother pushing forward any further because clearly that's helped me out so much already today Plus I was sketched out by the fact that everyone else was running Windows Vista I still run Windows XP So yeah I've battled with this thing for hours now and I'm no closer to getting online so I turn to you kind folk to try to point me in the right direction I'm hoping to find a response because I am at the point where I will throw this out the window and go to Best Buy and pick up a Mac I really don't care for Macs they make people so god damn smug But I just can't figure this out at all and I need something a little more idiot-proof because clearly I wasn't meant to reformat and there was definitely an easier fix that I just wasn't willing to look into Let me know any other info you need I'm not sure what else is relevent or where to find any information about the drivers I currently have Thanks in advance Kyle

A:Dell Inspiron 6400 Reformat issue

Here are the drivers for your laptop. From what it looks like - it's the same drivers for my laptop (E1505).
http://support.dell.com/support/down...&catid=&impid=

First - you want to install the chipset drivers. (Intel) You will need to download them from another PC and transfer them with a blank CD or flash drive or any other kind of removable device.

After that - you can pretty much install any drivers you want in any order. Just check Device Manager on your PC and anything with a yellow question mark or exclamation point will let you know what drivers you still need.

Once you have the chipset drivers - I would go with the network drivers to atleast get you back up and running on the internet. Then you can download all the other drivers from the correct PC.

Hope this helps!

-Coolfreak

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/dell-inspiron-6400-reformat-issue-390592.html
Relevancy 82.56%

Hi, I recently bought a new Dell Inspiron 6400 about 2 months ago.

For the past few days,I've been getting sound only on the left laptop speaker. It is not permanent, it is intermittent and the sound on the right still works, but it keeps switching on and off. There is no disturbance in quality.

I've checked my driver (SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC) and there are no updates for it.

I'm running Windows Vista Home Basic.

Anyone have any idea what this is caused by? Have I damaged something?

Thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-inspiron-6400-intermittent-sound-problems.691346/
Relevancy 82.56%

Hi all, the xp startup screen starts then the music at the blue startup screen is heard. 30 seconds and screen turns grey. I can access the task manager and when I put a dvd in you can hear it play. I ran dells diagnostics and everything passed. Thanx in advance for any help.

A:xp running but no desk top dell inspiron 6400 laptop

Hello have you run malware scans?Try this not certain,,,Go to Start > Control Panel > Display. Click on the "Desktop" tab, then the "Customize Desktop..." button. Click on the "Web" tab, then under Web Pages, uncheck and delete everything you find (except "My Current Home page").These are some common malware related entries you may see:Security InfoWarning MessageSecurity DesktopWarning HomepagePrivacy ProtectionDesktop UninstallIf present, select each entry and click the Delete button. Also, make sure the Lock desktop items box is unchecked. Click "Ok", then "Apply" and "Ok".When done, go back into your Desktop Settings and you should be able to change the color/theme to whatever you want.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/302530/xp-running-but-no-desk-top-dell-inspiron-6400-laptop/
Relevancy 82.56%

Yesterday while playing World of Warcraft my laptop experienced a blue screen and error message saying something about memory parity error Afterwards when I restarted my laptop I saw not one display but four identical displays one in each corner of the screen along with verticle bars on the screen Problem Normally ---------------------------------- ---------------------------------- edit the image i meant to show doesnt show up correctly When I tried to boot normally after the windows loading screen it just restarts again When I tried to boot in safe mode Lines Four Displays Inspiron 6400 Dell Verticle and it worked but I still had identical displays After taking Dell Inspiron 6400 Four Displays and Verticle Lines apart my laptop and inspecting the lcd screen and the video card and then putting it back together I turned it on and now every time time I boot up it goes to MediaDirect loading screen and after that I get a blue screen error O S Windows Vista Home Premium Video Card Nvidia GeForce or idk Please help me with my problem is there something wrong with Dell Inspiron 6400 Four Displays and Verticle Lines the LCD screen or video card Dell Inspiron 6400 Four Displays and Verticle Lines is it something I can fix I ve tried googling this but no one else has experienced this quad display problem nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-inspiron-6400-four-displays-and-verticle-lines.862474/
Relevancy 82.56%

Hi, I have a Dell 6400 Inspiron Laptop. It all of a sudden stopped holding a charge. I thought it was the charger. Got a new charger and it still doesn't work. I was told it is the motherboard? Could this be the problem? How do I what product to buy to try to replace it? Where to buy? Is it worth trying to replace it or buy a new laptop?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm a college student with little money and can't afford to spend lots to fix my computer. It is only 2 years old and of course, just ran out of warranty.

Relevancy 82.56%

HELP ME TO FIND MASTER PASSWORD FOR MY LAP TOP
DELL
INSPIRON 6400
SERVICE TAG ( F4N6P2J - 595B )
EXPRESS SERVICE CODE ( 329-325-433-39)

CAN EMAIL ME
[email protected]

A:Help with Dell INSPIRON 6400 Password or Shorting Method

call dell tech support... they may be able to help you with this one.. they can reset your password

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-with-dell-inspiron-6400-password-or-shorting-method.87295/
Relevancy 82.56%

Hi For a couple of weeks my Dell Inspiron Windows XP Professional SP is working very slow Internet Explorer freezes CPU usage reaches - due to iexplore exe comodo firewall I ran full scans of Avast Antivirus Spybot and Malewarebyres and they identified some viruses-trojans Tibs vq Smitfraud-C Spyblocs detected by Spybot JS Agent-CV Trj spyware Dell 6400 Inspiron viruses, to slow due !? detected by Avast scsiport sys Trojan Dropper detected by Malewarebytes Also the Dell PC Tuneup when running the quot Manage the processes that load at startup quot tool listed the advpack dll in the Windows system folder as quot potentially dangerous quot stating that quot This file is a component Dell Inspiron 6400 slow due to viruses, spyware !? of the CoolWebSearch spyware application quot Please help me Thanks Here is my Hijackthis log file Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode NormalRunning processes C WINDOWS System smss exeC WINDOWS system winlogon exeC WINDOWS system services exeC WINDOWS system lsass exeC WINDOWS Dell Inspiron 6400 slow due to viruses, spyware !? system svchost exeC Program Files ANTI SPYWARE WINDOWS DEFENDER MsMpEng exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC Program Files Thomson SpeedTouch ST service st service exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC Program Files ANTIVIRUS ANTISPYWARE avast Home Edition - XI aswUpdSv exeC Program Files ANTIVIRUS ANTISPYWARE avast Home Edition - XI ashServ exeC WINDOWS system spoolsv exeC Program Files Comodo Firewall Pro Comodo Firewall cmdagent exeC Program Files iolo common lib ioloServiceManager exeC Program Files Java jre bin jqs exeC Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared VS Debug mdm exeC Dell Inspiron 6400 slow due to viruses, spyware !? WINDOWS System snmp exeC Program Files Common Files Ulead Systems DVD ULCDRSvr exeC WINDOWS Explorer EXEC WINDOWS system ctfmon exeC Program Files ANTIVIRUS ANTISPYWARE avast Home Edition - XI ashMaiSv exeC Program Files ANTIVIRUS ANTISPYWARE avast Home Edition - XI ashWebSv exeC PROGRA ANTIVI ashDisp exeC Program Files Comodo Firewall Pro Comodo Firewall CPF exeC Program Files Thomson SpeedTouch ST diagnostics diagnostics exeC WINDOWS system hkcmd exeC WINDOWS system igfxpers exeC WINDOWS system igfxsrvc exeC WINDOWS stsystra exeC Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exeC Program Files ANTI SPYWARE WINDOWS DEFENDER MSASCui exeC Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exeC Program Files Windows Media Player WMPNSCFG exeC Program Files ANTI SPYWARE Spybot - Search amp Destroy - XI Spybot - Search amp Destroy TeaTimer exeC Program Files DELL PC TUNE-UP X PC TuneUp PCTuneUp exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC WINDOWS system taskmgr exeC WINDOWS Explorer exeC Program Files ANTIVIRUS ANTISPYWARE - Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware version Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware mbam exeC Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exeC Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exeC Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exeC Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exeC WINDOWS system rundll exeC Program Files TrendMicro - Cool Web Search Shredder cwshredder exeC Program Files TREND MICRO HIJACKTHIS INSTALLER HijackThis exeR - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http www google roR - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search Default Search URL http www google roR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer SearchURL Default http www google roR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Stationery Blank htmR - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page O - BHO amp Yahoo Toolbar Helper - D -C F - efb- B - ECA - C Pro... Read more

A:Dell Inspiron 6400 slow due to viruses, spyware !?

Hello , And to the Bleeping Computer Malware Removal Forum. My name is Elise and I'll be glad to help you with your computer problems.I will be working on your malware issues, this may or may not solve other issues you may have with your machine.Please note that whatever repairs we make, are for fixing your computer problems only and by no means should be used on another computer.You may want to keep the link to this topic in your favorites. Alternatively, you can click the button at the top bar of this topic and Track this Topic, where you can choose email notifications. The topics you are tracking are shown here.-----------------------------------------------------------If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If not please perform the following steps below so we can have a look at the current condition of your machine. If you have not done so, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.If you have already posted a DDS log, please do so again, as your situation may have changed.Use the 'Add Reply' and add the new log to this thread.We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan:Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links. Save it to your desktop.DDS.scrDDS.pifDouble click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.A small box will open, with an explanation about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.Notepad will open with the results.Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results. Post both logs (no need to zip attach.txt).Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet. Information on A/V control HEREPlease download GMER from one of the following locations and save it to your desktop:Main Mirror
This version will download a randomly named file (Recommended)Zipped Mirror
This version will download a zip file you will need to extract first. If you use this mirror, please extract the zip file to your desktop.Disconnect from the Internet and close all running programs.Temporarily disable any real-time active protection so your security programs will not conflict with gmer's driver.Double-click on the randomly named GMER file (i.e. n7gmo46c.exe) and allow the gmer.sys driver to load if asked.Note: If you downloaded the zipped version, extract the file to its own folder such as C:\gmer and then double-click on gmer.exe.
GMER will open to the Rootkit/Malware tab and perform an automatic quick scan when first run. (do not use the computer while the scan is in progress)If you receive a WARNING!!! about rootkit activity and are asked to fully scan your system...click NO.Now click the Scan button. If you see a rootkit warning window, click OK.When the scan is finished, click the Save... button to save the scan results to your Desktop. Save the file as gmer.log.Click the Copy button and paste the results into your next reply.Exit GMER and re-enable all active protection when done.-- If you encounter any problems, try running GMER in Safe Mode.-------------------------------------------------------------Please be patient and I'd be grateful if you would note the followingThe cleaning process is not instant. DDS logs can take some time to research, so please be patient with me. I know that you need your computer working as quickly as possible, and I will work hard to help see that happen. Please reply using the Add/Reply button in the lower right hand corner of your screen. Do not start a new topic. The logs that you post should be pasted directly into the reply. Only attach them if requested or if they do not fit into the post.Unfortunately, if I ... Read more

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/281005/dell-inspiron-6400-slow-due-to-viruses-spyware/
Relevancy 82.56%

first i say think you for this site and membors because they help me to solve my prolem , it,s was in base system drive so i want to show the solve for others .

category is shipest

drive is : R5C832

THINK YOU

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-inspiron-6400-base-system-drive.775559/
Relevancy 82.56%

This dell has two OS installed Windows and Linux I thought it would be a routine LCD picture Inspiron Windows dimm only in 6400 Dell inverter replacement Dim picture Ok Dell Inspiron 6400 dimm picture in Windows only I have to replace the inverter After install the inverter I start testing and boot it up everything is ok in Linux Now this is a weird one I did tried to boot up in Windows everything Dell Inspiron 6400 dimm picture in Windows only looks ok until it logs in Windows then goes dim I did try many times same thing It does it in exact precise time in the boot like it is a driver or a glitch in the next step of boot What I noticed next thing I did plug in the external monitor and both lite up like they suppose to and works as well like there is no problem at all Unplug external monitor dim again Boots in Linus again no problem at all I have never seen Dell Inspiron 6400 dimm picture in Windows only or heard of a problem like this Could it be a driver But it worked before the inverter failure nbsp

A:Dell Inspiron 6400 dimm picture in Windows only

check the connection between LCD-module and motherboard.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-6400-dimm-picture-in-windows-only.108214/
Relevancy 82.56%

Greetings I am a newbie to the forum Inspiron Dell Worm.Win32.Netsky on 6400 and am here looking for advice on an increasingly annoying worrying problem to do with the worm win netsky virus Since Saturday I have made various attempts to boot my Inspiron running Win Xp SP using normal Worm.Win32.Netsky on Dell Inspiron 6400 boot up safe mode amp last known good configuration etc etc Up until this morning I kept receiving the Spyware Alert warning message just as my peronsal settings are loading telling me how bad this virus is and what it can do but when I click the Ok button the only option available nothing happened When trying to boot in any type of Safe Mode I only receive a Blue Screen with no errors except for quot - quot displayed in the top right hand corner of the screen I have read plenty of solutions for actually removing the virus with various tools utilites on lots of sites but unless I can actually get my laptop to boot I won t be able to run any of the solutions I should also say that when I was successful in booting up normally just ONCE mind you I was unable to get Task Manager to initiate Administrator has closed it I was able to gain access to the net but when I tried to click on any sites or lniks I was immediately directed to some random site selling chinese tvs or some such nonsense So I have now dowlnloaded a few programs in work to a cd which seem to have been successful for people in removing the virus However I now have a new issue when trying to boot up Despite only creating one user account when I first set the laptop up all of a sudden on boot up I am presented with the quot Choose a User quot screen which never used to come up when I choose my usual user name it attempts to boot gets as far as showing me my usual desktop background picture and then just logs back out to the Welcome Screen So can anyone help me to get my pc to boot in any mode possible

A:Worm.Win32.Netsky on Dell Inspiron 6400

Hello and welcome. I suspect you have the Internet Security 2010 malware. You may need to copy these tools to a flash or CD to use them if you cannot get them fro m your connection.First try using the Automated Removal Instructions for Internet Security 2010 from our guide here.Remove Internet Security 2010 (Uninstall Guide)Post the scan log in your next reply with any questions and an update on the PC.The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.For TASK MGR DISABLED.. IF this is XPThis step involves making changes in the registry. Always back up your registry before making any changes.Go to Start ? Run and type: regeditClick OK.On the left side, click to highlight My Computer at the top.Go up to File ? Export Make sure in that window there is a tick next to "All" under Export Branch.Leave the "Save As Type" as "Registration Files".Under "Filename" put RegBackup.Choose to save it to C:\Click save and then go to File ? Exit.Or you can download and use ERUNTwhich is an excellent free tool that allows you to to take a snapshot (backup) of your registry before making changes and restore it when needed.Click on the link below:http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htmScroll down to #275 and click "Lift Restrictions - TM, Regedit and CMD" in the left column. Go to File, choose "Save page as" All Files and save regtmcmdrestore.vbs to your desktop. Double-click on that file to allow the script to run and reboot when done. Since the script modifies certain registry settings your anti-virus package may warn you about it. Ignore the warning and allow it to run.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/290215/wormwin32netsky-on-dell-inspiron-6400/
Relevancy 82.56%

I plugged in my dead(battery needing charged) laptop only to have the power adapter start making a high pitched whinny sound. The green light will not light up on the box. Any ideas what could be wrong with it? If there is no way to get it back in working order, does anyone know of a cheap and good place to find a new one? And how do I tell if its actually the one I need? My power adapter says its part of the PA 10 Family, It also states 100-240v-1.5a, Output is DC 19.5v 4.62a. Any help would be greatly appreciated as my son watches movies on my laptop and is very upset that I can't get it working. Thank you so much in advance.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-inspiron-6400-power-adapter-problem.1052606/
Relevancy 82.56%

Hallo!I own a Dell Inspiron 6400.My internal DVD-R/W got spoilt so I bought an external USB DVD-R/W.

I would like to make the external USB DVD-R/W the first bootable device so that I can use it to boot installation CDs eg Windows XP CD.

So far I have been unable to set the BIOS settings to do this.How can I achieve it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/enable-dell-inspiron-6400-to-boot-from-external-dvd-r-w.876659/
Relevancy 82.56%

Hello all. Pretty simple question. Quick back story, have a 2006 Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop...was not charging battery... technician said it's not a DC jack issue (he put in a new one)...it is the section of the motherboard where the DC jack is that does not "know" when the adapter is plugged in.

So with that said, I want to take a crack at replacing the motherboard (I know I am crazy). Is there a specific model # of a motherboard that I need to look up or how does that work? If a model # is needed, where would that info be located. I am hoping the info is not in the laptop because it's dead. Thank you for your help...

A:Solved: Dell Inspiron 6400 Motherboard model?

Dell Part Number: MD666, available from many third-party online suppliers. Example below:

http://www.portables.co.uk/lp/49317-18-0/Dell-Inspiron-6400---E1505-Laptop-Motherboard---MD666.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-dell-inspiron-6400-motherboard-model.1042446/
Relevancy 82.56%

I have a Dell Inspiron 6400. I can't find any display drivers for it on dell website. the default driver by winxp gives me resolutions of 800 x 600 and 1024 x 768.

Can anyone help me get the right and a better resolution? thnx

A:Solved: Dell Inspiron 6400 display driver plz

Dell lists several video options for a 6400. If you don't know which particular video card yours has then you can just try each until you get the correct one. (if you try installing a driver for a card that isn't there it will tell you). I'd suggest starting with the Intel first then the ATI .. if neither of those work try the nVidia.. Go here to get them..
http://support.dell.com/support/dow...SPIRONI6400/E1505&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid= click the plus beside the video list at the bottom.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-dell-inspiron-6400-display-driver-plz.754144/
Relevancy 81.7%

Hello everybody I Image 6400 Inspiron Emergency Factory Dell Restore ve done something really stupid After problems with my laptop yesterday windows Vista Home Premium when it would no longer boot I accidentally disrupted the dell restore process from F on boot up and lost some files Being the extremely impatient person that I am I decided to load XP pro from my desktop installation disk so that I could access the recovery partition At the moment my laptop thinks Emergency Dell Inspiron 6400 Factory Image Restore its a desktop on XP pro the recovery partition is intact I can see the recovery partition Emergency Dell Inspiron 6400 Factory Image Restore but cannot get to it to restore it as now if I reboot F no longer gives me the restore option I have created a vista recovery disk and when I Emergency Dell Inspiron 6400 Factory Image Restore try the restore option from there it says it can t find any image to restore I can get to command prompt with the recovery dvd does anybody know if it s possible to restore from the command prompt nbsp

Relevancy 81.7%

Hi people following recent issue where I had to completely wipe my grandads laptop and replace it with a different version of Windows Intel proset problem 6400 [SOLVED] Dell Inspiron XP I have run into problems with [SOLVED] Dell Inspiron 6400 Intel proset problem the wireless The problem is that when I turn the laptop on its fine I can connect to the internet and surf however after about [SOLVED] Dell Inspiron 6400 Intel proset problem - mins of wireless use it cuts [SOLVED] Dell Inspiron 6400 Intel proset problem out the device turns off and dissappears meaning that I can't enable it again I have tried uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling them again but doing this via the Windows device manager causes it to crash whilst removing the drivers I am currently trying to install the drivers using the Intel driver package I found online which is taking a while When I did the reinstall I used the Dell driver discs which originally came with the laptop to install all the drivers required by the detected hardware The laptop works fine off ethernet Is there anything i am missing The laptop is a Dell inspiron with WinXP Home Edition installed it also has Service pack The specs of the laptop are as follows Intel Core CPU T GHz GHz GB of RAM The network adapters installed on this PC include Broadcom x Intergrated Controller Intel PRO Wireless ABG Network Connection and the standard adapter Any help would be appreciated as I haven't the fogiest clue whats going on And dell doesn t have the best software to diagnose the problem

A:[SOLVED] Dell Inspiron 6400 Intel proset problem

Download the driver from the Dell Web Site.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-dell-inspiron-6400-intel-proset-problem-431505.html
Relevancy 81.7%

please I need help on locating the eeprom chip on my dell inspiron 6400 laptop motherboard. Anyone have an idea plz. The system bios is locked with a password.

Thanks very much

A:Motherboard location of Dell Inspiron 6400 eeprom chip

Good luck. A very difficult fix unless you are skilled in cold solder.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/motherboard-location-of-dell-inspiron-6400-eeprom-chip.85588/
Relevancy 80.84%

I m working on another friends computer and this one seems to be working well It boots up fast and doesn t have a lot of clutter If the computer is idle it seems to be fine But I did some CPU torture tests and it seems like if there s a significant amount of CPU load the computer will Solved: Inspiron beeping Dell 6400 starts up lcoks faintly and freeze up and start emitting a faint Solved: Dell Inspiron 6400 lcoks up and starts beeping faintly but fast beeping sound coming from the right side When I ran the CPU torture test and monitored the temps it seemed to stay at about C on both cores the whole time about minutes until the screen saver came on and then a few minutes later it froze C isn t that high as far as I know right I also installed ActiveSMART to check the HDD integrity It seemed to be fine as well Disk health and Performance were good and the temp was steady at C which was in light yellow My friend said that recently she reinstalled windows so I m not sure if it has anything to do with system files What could the beeping be What should my next step be Edit The whole time I was testing the laptop was not connected to the internet nbsp

Relevancy 80.84%

I have an inspiron 6400 which came with four primary partitions
1 dell utilities 55mb
2 recovery 10gb
3 os 137gb
4 dell media direct 2gb
I would like to install even xp on this system with out loosing vista for which i need to make a primary partition but all 4 primary partitions are filled as above.Any one please help me in which partition to delete to make a new primary partition for xp?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-help-on-creating-a-primary-partition-on-dell-inspiron-6400-preloaded-with-vista.610073/
Relevancy 80.84%

My Dell Inspiron 6400 is 13 months old - has Windows Vista Home Basic Edition. My grandson tried to uninstall Vista and replace with XP. It didn't work so I reinstalled Vista HB. I have a 19 GB folder "Windows.old" that I don't want. I don't find where I can custom an install without having that file. Help?

A:Clean Install Vista Home Basic On Dell Inspiron 6400

Windows.old is a backup of the old OS (in this case, it's probably the XP installation). I'd suggest exploring it first to see if it contains anything that you want - then delete it to reclaim the space on your system. Also, run a defrag after deleting it so that they system will effectively utilize the space right away.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/142092/clean-install-vista-home-basic-on-dell-inspiron-6400/
Relevancy 80.84%

Hi All,

I having a problem with this laptop that when I go the search screen, it shows the puppy dog, and I can make the tail wag, but it doesn't show any options to search for anything.

System restore will start up and it's blank. Same sort of thing.

Windows updates, also goes blank when I run it (I can do them manually).

When I go to look at user accounts, it's blank too.

I ran Spybot S&D on it, and it seems okay.

A:Dell Inspiron 6400 won't allow searching,system restore, windows updates

click start, run, type cmd, typed sfc /scannow. You will need you xp cd for this if it finds any errors. If that doesn't solve the issue post back.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/dell-inspiron-6400-wont-allow-searching-system-restore-windows-updates-159298.html
Relevancy 79.12%

Hello

I have a dell inspiron 6400 running vista basic that keeps booting into startup repair and wont system restore or system recover.
The system restore says that there is not enough memory to preform a restore.
Safe mode only boots the first seven drivers and then stalls and the system returns to booting startup repair.
Is there is anything else you that I could try or and more information you need please ask.

Relevancy 76.97%

I have a Dell Inspiron 1525. I have it connected to a samsung lcd tv through the hdmi port to watch movies. Yesterday I connected the hdmi lead but the tv didn't detect a signal. So I tried a system reboot. The screen on the laptop lights up as in you can see the back light working but thats the limit to it. The laptop sounds like it is loading fine. dvd drive running hard drive working lights flashing etc. Anyone with any clues as to what the problem could be, and a possible solution would be very much appreciated.

A:Dell inspiron 1525 screen not working HELP!!

Tony, so the problem is your laptop is turned on, but the laptop screen isn't displaying an image?

Disconnect the HDMI cable, first. Look across your top row of keys on the keyboard. Tap the key with an icon on it that looks like a computer screen, then wait a second and see if your screen lights up It may be the F8 key, not sure. On some models you have to hold down the Fn key while you tap the F8 key. That toggles your LCD screen on and off.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/dell-inspiron-1525-screen-not-working-help-588505.html
Relevancy 76.97%

I have a Dell Inspiron E1505 laptop with the screen remaining black when I turn it on.
It works fine with an extrenal monitor. How do I trouble shoot it to figure what is acturally
wrong with the screen?
I would like to know if it has bad inverter or it is a bad screen or what?
Thank you,

Relevancy 75.68%

Every few days my computer freezes up when I wake it from hibernation.  Device Manager says Intel Graphics card driver is up to date.  Windows updates current.
Any suggestions?

A:Windows freeze after hibernation Dell Inspiron 660

Hi barbara2351,
You may run the hardware diagnostics to check the hardware functionality.

Shut down and restart the computer.
Press the F12 key immediately when the Dell logo appears. The Boot Device list appears.
Select Diagnostics and press the Enter key.

If there are no issues found, update the system BIOS.
The link is http://dell.to/1cT735B.
Note: Before updating BIOS please ensure that: *No external devices (flash drives, printers, external hard drives) should be connected. *All other programs should be closed and documents saved
Please share the operating system.
Keep me posted with the results. I will be glad to assist you further.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/t/19521542
Relevancy 75.25%

Hi
I have a Dell Inspiron 6400, The right hand side of the screen is either white or has vertical coloured lines on it. The left hand side of the screen has the reduced desktop and seems to work OK. I have plugged it into a separate display screen and that is OK.
Any ideas what the problem may be.
Thanks David

Relevancy 75.25%

I was online this morning and all of a sudden got virus notifications things pop up in the corner of my screen and then my computer froze. Nothing would work. Mouse wouldnt move. I let it sit for ten minutes and nothing happened. I took the ac cord out and removed the battery to turn it off so I could do a system restore, which has worked for problems like this before. But when my laptop restarted , the screen with the DELL logo came on, but then it went black and nothing happened. Any ideas?? I am not very computer savy , and I know doing a system restore probably isnt the best way to combat a virus but it had worked before so ....

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated !!!

A:black screen on a dell 6400

is there a way to do a system restore in safe mode? how do I get into safe mode??

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f50/black-screen-on-a-dell-6400-a-541510.html
Relevancy 75.25%

Dell inspiron 5559 HID-complaint touch screen is not working. I have to keep it disabled because all of a sudden it starts to sense different touches uncontrollably. Sometimes it works just fine for a day, but it keeps happening. I have restored the laptop to factory settings, but it did not work.  I have checked for drivers updates, but they are none.  Please help me with this. Thank you in advance. 

A:Please help. Dell inspiron 5559 HID-complaint touch screen is not working.

You can try recalibrating it in the settings.  

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19988432
Relevancy 74.39%

Hallo!I own a Dell Inspiron 6400 notebook computer.In the last 1 month,my system occasionally hangs when I log into my Windows XP OS and a blue screen appears showing the following text below
Hardware malfunction

Call your hardware vendor for support

NMIarity check/memory parity error

****The system has halted****

I am thus forced to re-boot my system.My initial thought was that my RAM has a problem.I installed and run the Windows Memory Diagnostic software but the software found no hardware errors in my RAM.I have also re-installed my XP twice and I still have the same error.

How do I solve this problem?Please respond to my query as soon as possible and I shall be infinitely grateful.Thanks in advance. My laptop specifications are as below.

1.73 GHz Intel Pentium Duo Core
1 GB RAM
120 GB Hard Disk Drive
Windows XP Proffessional.

A:NMI:Parity check/memory parity error : Dell Inspiron 6400 Laptop

There are a few more things to try to fix the probem, see:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315223

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/nmi-parity-check-memory-parity-error-dell-inspiron-6400-laptop.811557/
Relevancy 72.67%

Every time when the laptop goes to sleep mode by itself and I turn it on again, the touch screen will be partly unresponsive, to be more specific, it is the upper part of the screen. The problem is only at the screen, mouse and touchpad are working fine. Now I can solve the problem by pressing power button to let it sleep and press again to turn it on, but I don't want to do this everyday.
Anyone have answer to this? Please!! I just got it a few days ago!
Thank you.

A:Dell Inspiron 3147 11.6" - Touch screen 'partly' not working after auto sleep

Hey, guys, I had the partially non-responsible touch screen (top right part) + 100% CPU. What I ended up doing was a clean install of Windows 10 and NOT installing the Dell Quickset. I repeat, DO NOT install Quickset. Hardware works fine without it and I stopped getting 100% CPU after idle and touch screen works normally. The only drawback is that I get an unrecognized component (ACPI\SMO8810\1), which I suspect has to do with keyboard locking in tablet mode. This isn't the 100% full solution, but I get the impression that the Dell power plan is not coded correctly. Any questions you guys might have, let me know!

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19601127
Relevancy 71.38%

My Dell Insiron 1526 won't restore after hibernation.

After a recent Vista update the laptop was placed in hibernation mode before the normal 'restart to complete update' process. After a minute or so i press a button expecting to see a logon screen, instead the monitor was off, blank screen with no power. I presss every button but nothing happened. After a restart the monitor remains off but i can still hear 1526 checking the cd drive. I restarted several times trying the fn+f8 option but still the same.

1526 appear to be in a wierd state because i placed XP boot cd and restart then hit Enter several times. If the monitor was the only problem then 1526 would boot from the cd as normal. It doesn't, it simply boot, checks the cd drive then does nothing.

The multimedia buttons lights up when i press them and the fan is on.

How can i fix this?

A:Inspiron 1526 blank screen after hibernation

The Fn+ON diagnostic test.

Cause:
The Microcontroller is handing control of the system to the processor. This code will persist if there is no processor detected.

Possible solutions are:
1. Reseating the processor.

2. Replacing the system board.

3. Replacing the processor.

Time to get my precision tools.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/inspiron-1526-blank-screen-after-hibernation.870467/
Relevancy 66.65%

Hello, I have a brand new Dell Inspiron 5558 with Windows 8.1 64b installed. I can't use touchpad gestures, no scroll, no pinch to zoom, etc. I have installed the latest drivers from here but after install (which says it is succesfull) nothing is showing up in my taskbar or control panel or program files. 

A:Dell Touchpad gestures not working on Dell Inspiron 5558

I found the fix here. Install Synaptics 19.15.2 Windows 10 64 Bit  even tough you have Windows 8.1.
Install like this:
1) Extract the files to another folder
2) Open the folder with extracted files copy the path of the x64 drivers
3) Go to Control Panel>Device Manager>Mice and other pointing devices
4) Right click mice and other pointing devices, select Update Driver>From Hard-Disk
5) Add the x64 drivers path
6) Select Dell Touchpad
7)  Install drivers
8) Restart

Video can be found here: www.youtube.com/watch

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19651794
Relevancy 65.79%

My question for you is that my laptop is running slow and freezes up. How do i go about cleaning it up so it runs smoother and faster, Thanks TIm

A:inspiron 6400

Hi in2msclkw, and welcome to TSG... Your question is more complex than it would seem. In order to help you, we need a bit more information about your machine than is currently on your Spec. We know it's a Dell laptop model 6400. Please provide info on the following:

Operating System (XP, Vista?)
How much and what type of RAM
Hard drive specs and amount of free space

Additionally:

Tell us what AntiVirus, and Firewall programs you use.
Do you have any anti spyware programs installed?
What kind of internet connection do you have?

If you do not know how to obtain the information requested, just post back and I or someone else will provide instructions.

Raybro

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/inspiron-6400.850595/
Relevancy 65.36%

i have just purchased a DELL Inspiron 15 5000 SERIES - 5559 with Windows 10 Pro pre-installed in Spanish. I have also purchased a DELL 24" additional screen SE2416H.
Whilst watching live internet broadcasts (TV, Youtube etc.) on Chrome, Edge or Firefox, as soon as I connect the screen to the laptop by HDMI cable, the sound on my laptop speakers disappears. Upon disconnection of the HDMI screen cable, the sound re-appears.  
However, the sound doesn't disappear when using other sound applications such as Skype. 
This means I can't enjoy watching internet TV with sound on the 24" screen.
Please advise how to fix this as the main point of purchasing the 24" screen was precisely to be able to watch (and listen to) TV programs.
Regards, 

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3517/t/19985632
Relevancy 65.36%

Hey, im having some issues. I have a DELL inspiron 5100 laptop and i just recently removed a virus that almost destroyed my hard drive, I got it to work fine but after a few days of use it started to freeze up on the DELL loading screen on the start up, i accidently pressed the F12 key and it took me to a screen with different ways to start up XP, like through the Hard drive or a disk.
i selected to run offthe hard drive and it froze up any help?

thanks

A:[SOLVED] Dell inspiron 1500 laptop freezes after DELL loading screen

hi, after you hit F12 did you see the diagnostics program at all? Ordinarily I would say It may be worthwhile running a scan on the hard drive if you can. But, I see you removed a virus, can you tell me if it was with the help of the antimalware section on this forum? or did you just remove it yourself? I need to know if you are absolutely sure you removed all traces of the virus - if you had the help of a forum they would have given you the "all clear". Have you tried starting in safe mode at all?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-dell-inspiron-1500-laptop-freezes-after-dell-loading-screen-506230.html
Relevancy 65.36%

I have read multiple postings about folks spend hours on the phone with Dell about Blue Screens of Death and Inspiron I too bought a Dell Inspiron - the First machine after installing my lexmark printer driver not only gave me blue screens but memory issues with the windows desktop not painting correctly and icons missing So I called Dell and they told me how reset the machine back to the factory settings but I still encountered the Blue screen of Death even after that and then going to standby hibernation and coming back - clicking to yahoo and checking mai Boom Blue Screen every time I called Dell and they replaced the machine with another Dell Inspiron desktop week ago I hooked up the new one and the same exact thing has happened - I restored the settings with Inspiron Stop 0x40000080 Dell 530 Screen Dell Error Code Blue again and have already had the dreaded blue screen Stop error code x even with out now installing anything Dell Blue Screen Stop Error Code 0x40000080 with Dell Inspiron 530 related to a printer all while coming back from hibernation So what I have read here is to get around this issue is to never let the machine got to standby or Hibernation is that correct or do I need driver updates why in the world I would need new drivers when this is a brand new machine HELP in CT Thanks nbsp

A:Dell Blue Screen Stop Error Code 0x40000080 with Dell Inspiron 530

Go into your Device manager and see if there are any conflicts/issues noted by a yellow triangle with and exclamation mark in the center.

You are the second person here today with a DELL computer and 0x80 errors.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-blue-screen-stop-error-code-0x40000080-with-dell-inspiron-530.101001/
Relevancy 65.36%

I have a Dell inspiron that will not boot Its running xp professional with a core quad When I turn it on i hear one beep and it sticks at the boot splash screen F and F do nothing So far I have tried the following Swapped hard drive out with a known working one Removed both sticks of gig ram and placed them in different slots Swapped out one stick of ram at a time to determine if one is defective Swapped out all ram with known working ram Removed radeon graphics card Tried to do a repair on windows from a disk but I cannot get into the boot settings Tried unplugging everything except the monitor and power cord After attempting these steps I still receive the same results everytime I was thinking about removing and re-seating the processor but I figure someone with more knowledge than me would have another suggestion for me to try I fear the worst for this PC assuming it is the motherboard or processor No new hardware or software was added to this system when the issue started Thanks in advance for any help suggestions nbsp

Relevancy 65.36%

Since a few weeks ago my microphone has only been working when tilting the screen forward I saw a previous discussion http answers microsoft com en-us windows forum windows vista-pictures microphone-not-working-that-in-installed-in-my f e d - bee- - Dell Unhelpful Microphone Problem 7537 Inspiron - Dell Screen Tilting Hardware afc- f b a f auth where people have reported similar problems Although my laptop was still under warranty when I reported the problem to Dell they proceeded to sending me an onsite technician with a Dell Inspiron 7537 Microphone Hardware Tilting Screen Problem - Dell Unhelpful repair microphone Dell Inspiron 7537 Microphone Hardware Tilting Screen Problem - Dell Unhelpful part who said that he could not replace just the microphone because I had a touchscreen you would think Dell would have checked to send the right part then a refurbished new screen that did not work at all on my computer and then refused to solve the problem by arguing that my system was no longer under warranty which it was not by the time they finally sent the non working screen and I called back to ask for another one to be sent mdash it was all problems from their side Wondering if anyone has had a similar problem and if they were able to fix it themselves as now my microphone is not working at all not even when I tilt the screen I have also noticed the same problem for the touch screen It only works when the screen is tilted forward and I am afraid that like the microphone it will reach a point of no return It seems to me that there is some faulty wiring from the screen components into the base Any help would be much appreciated

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19990970
Relevancy 65.36%

My Dell inspiron 3542 laptop speakers are not working,but 3.5 mm jack is working fine.
Please help me out.

A:My Dell inspiron 3542 laptop speakers are not working,but 3.5 mm jack is working fine.

Hello.The problem could be either in the hardware or the software, so you need to test each. Perform the tests below -- it doesn't matter which one you do first.

To test the speakers, perform the Quick Audio Check in the ePSA test. If the speakers fail the test then they have failed or become disconnected. (Click the link for instructions on how to run the test.)

To test the software, switch between the Realtek audio driver and the Windows native driver. [This test assumes that your laptop has the Realtek audio driver. If you get to step 2 and do not see "Realtek High Definition Audio" then go to the Dell support page for your model and download the Realtek driver that Dell provides for the version of Windows that the laptop is running.]
1. Open the Device Manager (find it in the Control Panel, or type devmgmt.msc into the search box).2. Expand the "Sound, video & game controllers" and right click on "Realtek High Definition Audio".3. Select to "Update Driver Software".4. Click on "Browse my computer for driver software".5. Click "Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer".6. Put a check in the box "Show compatible hardware" if not already checked.7. In the list of devices, click "High Definition Audio" (the native driver).8. Click "Next".9. On the Update Driver Warning box, click "Yes" (install the driver). 10. Restart the laptop if prompted. If not prompted, then no need to restart.[To get back to the Realtek driver, do it again but reverse the names in steps 2 and 7.]
If the speakers work correctly only with the native driver, then the Realtek driver is buggy. If the speakers work correctly only with the Realtek driver, then the native driver is buggy.

If the speakers worked during the Quick Audio Check (above) but do not work with either driver, it could be that the sensing mechanism in the headphone jack has failed, making Windows think that there is a plug in the jack when there is not. There is a full explanation of that issue in the Headphone Jack FAQ.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3517/t/19682568
Relevancy 65.36%

I have a Dell inspiron that will not boot Its running xp professional with a core quad When I turn it on i hear one beep and it sticks at the boot splash screen F and F do nothing So far I have tried the following Swapped hard drive out with a known working one Removed both sticks of gig ram dell 530 Inspiron splash/boot stuck screen at Dell and placed them in different slots Swapped out one stick of ram at a time to determine if one is defective Swapped out all ram with known working ram Removed radeon graphics card Tried to do a repair on windows from a disk but I cannot get into the boot settings Tried unplugging everything except the monitor and power cord After attempting these steps I still receive the same results everytime I was thinking about removing and re-seating the processor but I figure someone with more knowledge than me would have another suggestion for me to try I fear the worst for this PC assuming it is the motherboard or processor No new hardware or software was added to this system when the issue started Thanks in advance for any help suggestions

A:Dell Inspiron 530 stuck at dell splash/boot screen

Try clearing the CMOS, might be the solution. if that doesn't work you could try flashing the bios, here's the documention on how to do both. Just follow the steps exactly and you'll be fine, it requires you to go into the actual computer to do it.

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc....htm#wp1141353

hope it works, good luck

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/dell-inspiron-530-stuck-at-dell-splash-boot-screen-438928.html
Relevancy 65.36%

Hello,

I have a problem with my new laptop and it happens only sometimes. It is around 1 month old and it had this problem from the beginning . The laptop is a DELL INSPIRON 3552
1. DELL LOGO appears
2. Screen backlight is ok
3. Windows won't start ( window's logo doesn't appear ) and if i plug an external mouse the cursor is on the black screen.
If I shut down the laptop from the power button and the start it again it works. It's very random. Once I had to restart the laptop for 3 times before the windows started.
Any ideas ? 

A:DELL Inspiron Windows screen black after DELL logo

Hi,
Thank you for writing to us!
As we understand that the system doesnt not boot and just goes up to the Dell logo and after multiple restarts the system works fine.
In that case ,Can you boot the system into " Safe mode " and check if the same happens..You can also perform a system restore and also check for updates pending .
Thanks
Robin

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19993389
Relevancy 64.93%

Hello there I have a Dell Inspiron laptop roughly two turn not 6400 on will Inspiron and a half years old I woke Inspiron 6400 will not turn on up yesterday and it wouldn t turn on I searched the forums and google but found no real answer to my problem If I can t find an answer I may have to take it into somewhere on Tuesday though I ve Inspiron 6400 will not turn on never had to do that before It is not the battery I ve tried taking it out to turn it on but I haven t used it in around six months anyway Around that time my original power cable fried and I had to get a replacement Due to being overseas I had to get one that wasn t Dell however the reccomended laptops on the back said that it would work with mine Unfortunately it does as in powers the laptop but does not charge the battery in any way A couple of weeks ago the right hand back corner of the lid broke I don t know how but a small metal piece in the corner will not bend down and forces the plastic up I tried removing the cover and taking a look but I don t think it s fixable as it seems to have popped out of some place and I can t get it back in I don t know if this is cosmetic or has something to do with my laptop not turning on Any help is much appreciated If you need any more information on my laptop just ask and I ll post it Pirran nbsp

A:Inspiron 6400 will not turn on

Hi

your symptons sound just like my brother's 6400, his lid broke in the same place and he also bought a replacement PSU that wasnt a Dell part and it didnt charge his battery either.

The hinge screws pop out and the thread breaks in the hinge, you will need to buy a replacement hinge set for it and replace it,

as for not turning on, the replacement PSU's are under current and it is possible with use that you have damaged the main board for it, its not repairable im afraid and will require a replacement.

regards

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/inspiron-6400-will-not-turn-on.109301/
Relevancy 64.93%

I recently cleaned up my laptop and I think I deleted my volume controls because i don't see the icon and i cant access the volume controls on the control panel. In addition, every time I shut down my comp a window pops up and says"PROGRAM NOT RESPONDING, PRESS END NOW TO SHUT DOWN" or try to access a file it says" NOT RESPONDING"!!!!!!????? Is there anything I can do to remedy these problems?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/inspiron-6400-issues-262259.html
Relevancy 64.93%

Hey everyone I have a dell inspiron about yrs old that shut off during use about weeks ago and wont turn on I had been getting warnings that my battery was quot still able to charge but reaching the end of its useful Inspiron on won't 6400 turn life quot for a few Inspiron 6400 won't turn on weeks from dell quickset or whatever program it is the battery would still power my laptop for an hour or more tho ohh it is an extended life battery After sitting for a week or so without me fooling with it it actually turned on and booted up for a minute but then shut off within seconds laptop wont work when plugged in to power cord alone power cord w battery or battery alone i put the battery into my dads newer inspiron and it works fine same v rating wh capacity and chargers have same stats it does say the battery cant be identified when it initally boots and prompts me to enter bios but i do so then exit and it works fine i put his battery into my laptop and it does nothing and i try with his charger plugged into it with no result i thought my battery was the problem but now Im guessing its not Any help is appreciated dead nbsp

A:Inspiron 6400 won't turn on

i just picked up my inspiron and noticed a burnt smell when i put my face up to the empty battery socket. something must have burnt out.... any ideas where to go from here to find out specifically what it is?

just in case this helps... when i try to power it up(battery and charger intact) the power light flashes green once, and like 5 seconds later the charging light flashes off then turns back on. the charging light is always green when plugged in and a battery is in

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/inspiron-6400-wont-turn-on.121600/
Relevancy 64.5%

At the head of this I will suggest that this is a motherboard failure.
Cannot use the function keys.

I have:

1) unplugged all peripherals prior to start up
2) unplugged from mains and held down starter key before plugging and restarting.
3) Cleared CMOS as per owners manual p 196

I now have lined down the screen and the Dell splash screen is just sitting there like an inert screensaver.

Note: no abnormal beeps.

I've uploaded what the screen looks like.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-inspiron-530-stuck-at-dell-splash-screen.1150692/
Relevancy 64.5%

The computer powers up then
1 beep , solid blue light on power switch.
Removed the CMOS battery left out overnight installed new 2032 battery
Same start up, the progress bar stops 1/2 way , also the keyboard will not light up on any USB port
But the mouse lights up.
Removed and reseated the ram, removed the pny video card and switched to on board VGA
Same thing.
Unplugged the DVD and hard disk same thing just gets stuck on splash screen.
Any other thoughts or tricks would be greatly appreciated.
Howard

Relevancy 64.5%

I need to reinstall xp on my Dell Inspiron nbsp don from in to Inspiron CD/USB 6400 Unable boot t have any recovery disc or what so ever only windows xp disc the weird thing is that the laptop won t boot from anything but the HD to format the drive i had it connected externaly to other computer then formatted it from there tried using boot selector menu F and selecting cd-rom - nothing happanes also tried booting from bootable usb drive with xp installation on it - nothing happanes also tried changing boot sequence in BIOS - no affect i thought my disc maybe is bad - but i checked in other laptop and it boots great both from my disc and from my usb flash drive you have any ideas how to make it boot tried resetting the bios to its deafult also i thought maybe its sata drivers issues which needs to be slipstreamed onto the windows xp installation - but i hardly think thats it cause this laptop doesn t even have an option for AHCI mode be glad to get some help here Thanks

A:Unable to boot from CD/USB in Inspiron 6400

Hey, thanks for the detailed reply.
did another check today - got from my boss at work another bootable flash drive, conatining hirens boot cd,
and it booted great from the old laptop.
probably the optical drive is dead, and my bootable usb, created with Win2Flash app, is not comptaible with those
old pc's (although in my toshiba 2 y'o pc it boots great)
he made his one bootable in a different way, a way which i intend to try and use to boot to xp install.
thank you all for the replies and help and have a great week
adiel

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19453249
Relevancy 64.5%

Hi all,

I have a Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop. It shows the Dell logo when starting, but then the screen goes blank afterward. If left to boot, I can hear the Windows XP startup sound, but I'm not able to view anything.

Cannot boot off of CD, nor will it allow me to go into BIOS when booting.

Any suggestions? Thank you.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/inspiron-6400-displays-logo-then-nothing.858914/
Relevancy 64.5%

Hi,

I am looking for a replacement keyboard for my UK inspiron 6400. I have looked on ebay and found that the US inspiron 6400 keyboards can be got significantly cheaper than the UK ones.

Will the US keyboard fit to my UK laptop? Are they compatible?

Thanks

A:Replacing an inspiron 6400 keyboard

Anyone know the answer to this?

I realise maybe the order of the keys will be different on US and UK keyboards. But will I be able to fit the US keyboard to my UK laptop?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/replacing-an-inspiron-6400-keyboard.734656/