Windows Support Forum

Allow local user control in RDP?

Q: Allow local user control in RDP?

In our network we have many remote sites. We are currently all WinXP Pro but are starting to transition to Windows 7 (64-bit) when we cycle PCs out.

We have been using RealVNC for years instead of RDP because RealVNC allows shared control of the PC between you and the local user (ie: "Show me what you are talking about"). I've tried Tight (which leaves lots remnants after uninstalling), Real (simply does not work unless you buy the Enterprise version, for ~800 computers that just isn't going to work) and Ultra (works, but randomly resets its options and closes down once you log out of a profile).

Is there a way to allow shared control during RDP? If not, is there another VNC-ish program I can try (freeware) that's as reliable as RealVNC has been under XP?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/allow-local-user-control-in-rdp.171996/
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Allow local user control in RDP?

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 63.21%

I inherited a Dell XP Computer with Vista Operating System from my stepson Pat who could never names, user Privileges, Permissions, an control User Account file Control, Ownership, figure out the machine I seem to have many problems with Vista revolving around User Account Control User Account Control, Privileges, Permissions, Ownership, user names, file control an Privileges Permissions Ownership user names file control and directory structure etc I ve been working around UAC problems but there has to be a User Account Control, Privileges, Permissions, Ownership, user names, file control an way out of this My most recent issue IE has problems fully loading web pages With IE like several programs that I run with this computer I get messages that say I have corrupt files I get object error warnings Chkdsk does not fix problems While shopping for a new car battery with many pages open the computer completely hung up last night I had to kill power and reboot IE did not work I Unloaded and IE would not work also Google Chrome is fine I have internet access I reset all defaults After hours of messing around I discovered the way to start IE is Run as Administrator Then like so many other programs I run I get the screen Windows screen A Program needs your permission to continue When I dumped my old files on this XP computer from my old computer They resided in User Mike W old I had no permissions with this user so I moved all the files to Pat I renamed user administrator Pat to Mike W under the desktop but the user pat did not update under the OS C drive Users Pat and there is no option to rename here Pat was the original administrator Vista is telling me that Vista creates a List of directories under the Administrator including a Desktop Downloads Documents Contact Favorites etc When I open explore right Click off the classic START button The folders display in green What is the significance of the Green colored folders in windows explorer Somehow I ended up creating two desktops in User Mike W The actual desktop has some but not all the files from the yellow folder Desktop in Mike W none from the Green Desktop folder How do I clean this all up I ve been to the help sections of Vista and looked at permissions ownership UAC etc but when I go in to try to change anything in the check boxes they are grayed out I have no place to start Please Help me get some understanding and control of this machine as I am desperate

A:User Account Control, Privileges, Permissions, Ownership, user names, file control an

Hello, did you use the Easy Transfer method ? Transfer files and settings from another computer

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/293780-user-account-control-privileges-permissions-ownership-user-names-file-control.html
Relevancy 60.2%

I run windows 7 premium 64 and all of the sudden I stated to get this popup after windows loads that says
"C:\User\Lori-Bee\AppData\Local\Temp\032150Log.iniis lost"
How can I fix this?...I tried check disk running CCleaner ....No difference

A:C:\User\User -User\AppData\Local\Temp\032150Log.iniis lost

Hi there ... Read the Link below and follow the Instructions ..
ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Forum- Error 182418Log.iniis lost

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/325334-c-user-user-user-appdata-local-temp-032150log-iniis-lost.html
Relevancy 55.9%

So a new box recently built, when booted, defaults to the local administrator account.

This is a Windows 7 machine for a Linux guru that doesn't want to be bothered pressing more buttons than is necessary, if you get my drift.

So my question is, after pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del...how do I dictate to Windows that the preferred used is "HisDomainAccount" on our company domain, as opposed to the local admin account?

If I'm not being clear, please let me know and I will try to explain a little better.

A:Strange Defult Login User Prompt - Local Admin, Not Domain User

Quote: Originally Posted by Norwood

So a new box recently built, when booted, defaults to the local administrator account.

This is a Windows 7 machine for a Linux guru that doesn't want to be bothered pressing more buttons than is necessary, if you get my drift.

So my question is, after pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del...how do I dictate to Windows that the preferred used is "HisDomainAccount" on our company domain, as opposed to the local admin account?

If I'm not being clear, please let me know and I will try to explain a little better.

The above is a bit confusing. Is this computer joined to a work domain or is it not?

If this is a domain computer, the user will have to use the classic log on screen (Ctrl+Alt+Delete), not the Welcome Screen. If he wants to switch to logging in to the Local computer account and not the domain, he'll have to "Switch User" then log in with the format of Computername\User Name

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/208916-strange-defult-login-user-prompt-local-admin-not-domain-user.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi, I am using Teamviewer to remotely control my friend's computer and help him with tech problems, and I need to help him with a certain thing that will take a long time. He gets bored of me controlling the computer for so long, so I want him to be able to do something else on his computer while he waits. Can I control his computer in the background while he has a different window open so he can watch videos while I work on his computer?

And if not, is it possible to make a 'plugin' for teamviewer to do this?

I really need this feature, so thank you so much to anyone that can help me with this.

A:Solved: Teamviewer MultiTasking (Local User and Remote User Using At The Same Time)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-teamviewer-multitasking-local-user-and-remote-user-using-at-the-same-time.1107145/
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi all We are having a real issue with local profiles user profile service on our domain Our staff accounts are using local profiles When a staff member changes their password something is happening to their profiles on the machines that their local profile is stored When they try to login the machine is getting stuck at quot Please wait for the user profile service quot It never continues we have left for mins or more and profiles, hanging issue service Big profile and user user's changing :( password local with it doesn't continue We are currently having to use delprof to remove their profiles from ALL machines they have previously logged into which is a lot of hassle nbsp We first noticed this issue when we upgraded our workstations from windows to windows nbsp I was hoping that upgrading to windows would fix the issue but sadly it doesn't This is causing us major hassle on our domain It only affects people with Big issue with user's local profiles, changing password and hanging user profile service :( local profiles our students use mandatory profiles and they are not affected Our DCs are R nbsp I have trawled google but cannot find any information on this At our yearly microsoft meeting i asked our regional account manager and he couldn't believe the issue He had never heard anything like this before From the event log the only thing i can see is that it is not finishing the load of the user profile nbsp Under user profile service events it shows this Event Recieved user logon notification on session Event Registry file C Users USERNAME ntuser dat is loaded at HKU S- - - - - - - Event Logon type Regular nbsp Local profile location C Users USERNAME nbsp Profile type Regular Event Registry file C Users USERNAME AppData Local Microsoft Windows UsrClass dat is loaded at HKU S- - - - - - - Classes Event This is where it get stucks But then it does not show the final step Event should be Finished processing user logon notification on session No other events are logged We hadn't changed any GPOs before the upgrade to windows Any help would be greatly welcome

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/1bc82ef5-71cf-438e-b223-d7aa88ea8de4/big-issue-with-users-local-profiles-changing-password-and-hanging-user-profile-service-?forum=w8itprogeneral
Relevancy 55.47%

My grandmother was recently hacked and she changed all her passwords herself (yay!). However she did not write down her new local user account password for her laptop.

I tried downloading OPHCrack, I burned it as an ISO file and put it on a DVD-R(only thing I had on hand) and i changed the boot order on her BIOS menu to had the DVD drive as the first priority. It does not run....I hear the disk drive moving, or spinning but the program does not run. Are there any other options or do I have to do a complete system restore to bypass this? Also if that is what I have to do how do I do that without being in her control panel?

A:Old Problem New User- Forgot Local User Account Password

Hello there "hater",are you sure you downloaded the right OPHcrack version?It should be the one that is intended to be used on,not the one being used to download and be burned on.Try imgburn,never failed me to create bootable CDs or DVDs.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/40661-old-problem-new-user-forgot-local-user-account-password.html
Relevancy 55.47%

I am trying to install a program called postgresSQL a database program that creates a user (postgres) during install. I have installed the program before, created an account and forgot the password . I am trying to re-install the program and it still see the old user and wants the password.

The program says the solution for this is to.....

control panel>admin tools>comp management>local user and groups delete "postgres". local users is not there on home premium, handled by user accounts .

or

run
net user postgres /delete This gives me error 5 access is denied

not sure where to go from here???

A:user delete on home premium. no local user or groups??

Welcome to the Forum

Sorry that you are having a problem. If there is a separate user account,
Possibly this excellent tutorial can help.
Reset User Account Password[11]=User Accounts

It will not be easy, but it should work.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/270328-user-delete-home-premium-no-local-user-groups.html
Relevancy 55.04%

I have created local User in my systems but when i login to that user its taking user name and password, but its not loding getting logoff automaticaly, i can login through my admin login but another user its not loading.

please help in this..

A:I have created local User in my systems but when i login to that user

Is "C:\Users\Default" folder still there?

Try logging with your account and then switching users?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/374409-i-have-created-local-user-my-systems-but-when-i-login-user.html
Relevancy 53.32%

I've had a problem recently. I think it started after installing StyleXP to change my Windows visual style. I've since uninstalled StyleXP, but it has not resolved the problem.

My user picture that is usually at the top of the start menu is missing. In addition the green arrow icons and question mark icons in the User Accounts control panel are also missing (I just see red X's). I've tried changing my user picture in the control panel and it does not make a difference. I made sure to restore the default icons in StyleXP before uninstalling, but that didn't matter either.

I've since switched to Windowblinds and IconPackager. I've tried restoring default WinXP icons from IconPackager as well with no luck. Any ideas here? I'll upload some screenshots when I get back home, but I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

A:Missing user picture and icons in User Acct control panel

I've tried logging in under another user and I have the same problem. Here's a screenshot of the issue. Notice the red X's and the blank user picture box in the start menu.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/missing-user-picture-and-icons-in-user-acct-control-panel.537248/
Relevancy 53.32%

dont know user account control password AND no administrator user so i cant download/install anything, cant update, and i cant change any settings someone please help PLUS i just got this computer iv read some other entrys where people had the same problem as me they said to do a system reboot in safemode but i dont know how. can someone help me? thank you

A:dont know user account control password and no administrator user

after the bios loads but before windows start to load hit f8 and you get your windows boot options.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/232566-dont-know-user-account-control-password-no-administrator-user.html
Relevancy 52.89%

I would like to hide active admin user from control panel so that other people wont see for security reasons.
Solved

A:Hide User from User Management in Control Panel

Yeap, that is possible. Please check this out.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/273020-hide-user-user-management-control-panel.html
Relevancy 51.6%

How come the UAC is set to the lowest setting for the admin, but for a standard user it is still set as default (requiring admin password)?

A:User Account Control for standard user.

Built in admin bypasses UAC, hence the setting. Any other users (even users created as admin) get UAC prompts.

This is one of the many reasons security best practices dictate creating a second admin account and disabling the built in one.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/20468-user-account-control-standard-user.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Howdy All -
I'm thinking I'm not the first nor the last to have MS trick me into changing my User Name from Local to (in my case) an outlook.com email account. Now I'm forced to sign in every time I log on. And FWIW, I prefer to be fully in charge of my devices.
-
I surely would appreciate some guidance on the proper way to switch back to a Local User and disassociate my computer from outlook.com. Many thanks in advance for reading this and all replies.

Best,
/jdU

A:Proper (Safe) way to change from "Microsoft.com" User to Local User

Settings>>Accounts>>Under your Microsoft Account listing, click on "Change to a Local account instead".

Local Account - Switch to in Windows 10

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/49640-proper-safe-way-change-microsoft-com-user-local-user.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Hello Whats up Did u miss me I have PCs in my room A new PC and the old one PC I want to set PC as quot downloading machine quot working silently all the time without any mouce or keyboard just the box I mean I will control it through PC By the time I made (local network) a Control through pc another all connections--- gt I have a modem router SpeedTouch i and a Switch ports I used straight ethernet cables I connected PC PC SpeedTouch on the switch Am I ok Now then WHAT program Control a pc through another (local network) free do I need in order to control PC through PC Because PC wont have its own monitor or mouse I need control it from PC This mean that I must see in my screen PC s screen the desktop of PC and be able to work with exackly as if I used it normally the PC And of couse be able to transfer data from PC to PC Control a pc through another (local network) ANOTHER one matter is what will happen with the internet sharing Do I need to use any special program for this Thanks for your valuable help nbsp

Relevancy 49.45%

does anyone know the GPO settings to control the amount of data that is downloaded to OST files on local windows 7 clients that are running Outlook 2010?
Much appreciated!
James

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f3d41035-ceda-43eb-8ba3-a754642f44c0/gpo-to-control-amount-of-data-downloaded-to-local-ost-file?forum=w7itproperf
Relevancy 49.45%

Hi Trying to find out why the pc wakes from not found by Network Control Panel Local connections sleep on its own has given me another problem and I would be grateful if anyone has any ideas Control Panel gt View Network status and tasks gt see full map gt windows is creating the network map gt Windows cannot discover any computer or device This seems odd to me since I can connect thorugh my router to the internet see this post and I can print wirelessly My home network is as Windows originally set it up with additions for laptops for my kids not here at present I am no expert so have not played around with it Any thoughts or suggestions gratefully received shuldnobetr Background Windows ultimate with Panda Free A V supported by Local Network connections not found by Control Panel Malwarebytes Pro and Hitman occasional cleaning with CCleaner though not in last week Defragmenting checkdisk amp c Local Network connections not found by Control Panel when I remember Mainboard Asus M N -AM gt Chipset nVidia GeForce gt Processor AMD Phenom II X MHz gt Physical Memory MB x DDR -SDRAM gt Video Card NVIDIA GeForce gt Hard Disk ST AS GB gt Hard Disk ST AS GB gt DVD-Rom Drive HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH NP ATA Device gt DVD-Rom Drive HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH LS ATA Device gt Monitor Type Idek Iiyama PL HD - inches gt Network Card MCP Ethernet gt Network Card RT RT rev B g gt Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium Home Edition Service Pack gt DirectX Version Router is a ZTE Livebox Note this C disk holds the current OS installed about a year ago in a partition of about of the disk of which maybe Gb are free the other partition is empty waiting for me to try to learn Linux some day this D disk holds an old inactive W installation Backups are run with AOMEI to a separate desktop hard disk last one weeks ago

A:Local Network connections not found by Control Panel

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.
 Checkmark the following checkboxes:  List last 10 Event Viewer log  List Installed Programs  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
 Click Go and paste the content into your next post.
 Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/571802/local-network-connections-not-found-by-control-panel/
Relevancy 49.02%

Hi,

We are creating a PDF file in login user's local application folder (C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\folder1) through a custom .Net application and displaying the created pdf file in application.

The above functionality is working for users who are part of domain and added to local vista machine as users (both for administrator and standard user accounts).
The same is not working for local users (both administrator and standard user accounts created in vista box).

File is getting created for any user under their local appdata folder and can able to open from that location, but not displaying from app in case of local system users (admin or standard type).

Can anyone help me what security settings differ between domain users vs local users in vista business 32 bit OS?

Thanks
Padmaja

A:domain account user vs local account user in vista

Policy that is actually causing the problem (or lack thereof) is corresponds to Internet Options control panel, Connections tab, Lan Settings button: Use Automatic Configuration settings.
Having this turned on causes IE to load a configuration file prepared by IT department which makes a whole lot of configuration changes to IE, including remapping the security zones. We can test this by unchecking this option (the default state).
Since the machine is in domain and since we are testing with domain users accounts, I have monitored domain controller pushing down a bunch of policy settings which relax the IE security settings, causing the reports to display.
First, domain settings will resync over time and this checkbox will keep getting turned back on automatically. So you can?t really turn this off, it won?t stay off. I would feel better just testing local accounts, but since the computer is also a member of the domain, machine-specific policies are applied by the domain as well.

http://www.vistax64.com/system-security/252093-domain-account-user-vs-local-account-user-vista.html
Relevancy 49.02%

I have a user with a machine that was setup with Win 8.1 Home. The machine has been upgraded to 8.1 Pro and joined to a domain (WinSrv 2003). I need to get the conten/configuration from their old local machine user profile to their new domain user profile. I tried to copy the contents of their ../users/<name>/.. folder from the local user profile to the new domain user profile (after they had logged in once, and then logged off). This did not work. When I did the copy, I grabbed all files, including hidden...was that my mistake, or is the issue broader?

In the end....they want their old stuff and configuration under their new credentials/profile.

Thanks!

-Nick

A:Merge Domain User Account with Local User Account

There are 4 conventional ways of accomplishing this task.

Option 1: Simply copy My Documents, Favorites, Desktop items from one to the other. You will have to setup program options again, may or may not be a big deal

Option 2: Use the Windows Easy Transfer option. Explained here. Vista & Win7 local to domain profile migration

Option 3: Use the Copy To Feature in User Profiles, explained here: Copy a user profile. The steps are outlined for different versions of Windows, but they work the same in Windows 8.

Option 4: Use the User State Migration Tool. User State Migration Tool 4.0 User's Guide. Here is a link to a video on using the USMT. User State Migration Tool in Windows 7 - Install | TechNet

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/52778-merge-domain-user-account-local-user-account.html
Relevancy 48.59%

Hi there,
I have come across a problem with Windows 8.1 and local user accounts all of a sudden.
When I logon using a local username and password I keep being told that my password is incorrect.
However......

The password IS correct.The account does exist.The account is NOT disabled.
I can login with a Microsoft Online Account fine. But I don't want to (and shouldn't have to) use this option. I have also tried converting the Online account to a Local account but once I do this and log off I am told again that my password is incorrect, which it isn't.
The local administrator account can login fine.
Does anyone know why this could be happening and how can I fix it so I can logon locally.
Thanks

A:Local user accounts on 8.1

Hello Toby, and welcome to Eight Forums.

As a test, while signed in to the administrator account that works, see if using Option Two in the tutorial below to change the password of a local account will allow you to sign in to it afterwards.

Local Account Password - Change or Remove in Windows 8

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/34109-local-user-accounts-8-1-a.html
Relevancy 48.59%

Hello everyone this one is driving me NUTS Norton Symantec was absolutely no help in solving this issue Every time I'm on the computer I get a pop-up window telling me that my quot Registry quot is corrupt or some sort of nonsense A new one pops up every minutes or so I Pop-ups Local User To System can move the window almost off the screen and compute normally but I can hear the quot beep quot every so often of a new window opening The Local System To User Pop-ups windows come in three varieties and direct me to log on to www registrycleanerxp com and www key com Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Boot mode NormalRunning processes C WINDOWS System smss exeC WINDOWS system winlogon exeC WINDOWS system services exeC WINDOWS system lsass exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Local System To User Pop-ups Shared ccSvcHst exeC Program Files Lavasoft Ad-Aware aawservice exeC WINDOWS system spoolsv exeC WINDOWS System nvsvc exeC Program Files Softex OmniPass Omniserv exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC Program Files Softex OmniPass OPXPApp exeC WINDOWS Explorer EXEC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exeC Program Files Java jre bin jusched exeC Program Files Hewlett-Packard HP Share-to-Web hpgs wnd exeC Program Files QuickTime qttask exeC WINDOWS system ps exeC Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exeC windows system hpsysdrv exec Program Files Hewlett-Packard HP Share-to-Web hpgs wnf exeC Program Files Hewlett-Packard Digital Imaging Unload hpqcmon exeC WINDOWS ALCXMNTR EXEC Program Files Messenger msmsgs exeC WINDOWS System rundll exeC Program Files iPod bin iPodService exeC Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy TeaTimer Local System To User Pop-ups exeC Program Files Nikon PictureProject NkbMonitor exeC Program Files Updates from HP Program BackWeb- exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared CCPD-LC symlcsvc exeC Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exeC Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exeR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http srch-us hpwis com R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http srch-us hpwis com R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http us hpwis com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http us hpwis com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http srch-us hpwis com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http srch-us hpwis com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http srch-us hpwis com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http us hpwis com O - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Reader ActiveX AcroIEHelper ocxO - BHO no name - E A - - D F-BEAE-D A C - C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared coShared Browser NppBho dllO - BHO Spybot-S amp D IE Protection - - F - D - - D F - C PROGRA SPYBOT SDHelper dllO - BHO SSVHelper Class - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dllO - Toolbar amp Radio - E - F- D - E- A C - C WINDOWS System msdxm ocxO - Toolbar hp toolkit - B E - D D- DEB- B - D BCF F - C HP EXPLOREBAR HPTOOLKT DLLO - Toolbar Show Norton Toolbar - -F - -B -FBEE C B DF - C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared coShared Browser UIBHO dllO - HKLM Run ccApp quot C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe quot O - HKLM Run Symantec PIF AlertEng quot C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared PIF B E DD - - c -B F- F FCA A PIFSvc exe quot a m quot C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared PIF B E DD - - c -B F- F FCA A AlertEng dll quot O - HKLM Run TkBellExe quot C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe quot -osbootO - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateSched C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exeO - HKLM Run Share-to-Web Namespace Daemon c Progra... Read more

A:Local System To User Pop-ups

Hi The_DaliThose look like Messenger spam to me.Please click Start > Run and type in: services.mscClick OKIn the Services window find: MessengerSelect/highlight and right click the entry, and choose: PropertiesOn the General tab, under Service Status click the Stop buttonBeside: Startup Type, in the drop menu, select: DisabledClick Apply, then OKPost back if that helped

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/120233/local-system-to-user-pop-ups/
Relevancy 48.59%

Hello all I have been trying to fix this all night and day now and am at a loss Let's start from the beginning Last night I upgraded my Windows XP Pro to a Windows Pro During the install it asked me to keep my personal settings or use default so I selected to keep my personal settings where my user name was BobMaster administrator rights I never filled in my email or chose for a 'windows account' I was however signed in with my windows account when I downloaded upgraded I do not want to use a 'windows account' though The first time I had to log in the log-on screen showed only account called 'Administrator' however after logging on I did user create Can new local not a ? see the name 'BobMaster' in the start menu After changing all the visual effects and setting up the start menu like I wanted I restarted and windows informed me of automatic updates naturally I installed them Back on the log-on screen Can not create a new local user ? still the only user I saw was Administrator but this time it no longer showed the name BobMaster on the start menu and all the settings I had changed were Can not create a new local user ? back to default Wondering where it went I started looking in the 'control panel gt user accounts and family safety gt user accounts gt Configure advanced user profile properties' and in 'computer management gt Local Users and groups gt Users' To my surprise both lists mentioned a User named BobMaster name BobMaster Full name and a profile called THEBOBMASTER BobMaster I was too afraid to delete those files at first so I spent hours trying to find solutions for this before I finally decided to delete the user account and profile After doing that I restarted yet again Thinking I now would just have to create a new user account named BobMaster set it as admin and relog This was sadly not the case after clicking create the new user did not appear on the 'PC Settings' user list however it did again create a user called Bobmaster name BobMaster full name in the computer management screen I have deleted this new user several times more and the same thing happens over and over but it never shows up on the log-on screen nor can I switch to it in any way Any help would be greatly appreciated need to know more just ask I'm not the best at explaining myself in words EDIT After changing several stuff in the 'Local Security Policies' and especially 'Interactive logon Do not display last user name' after enabling that option I had the option on the log-on screen to enter my account name and password separately allowing me to log into my created account It is weird I could not find anything about this on the web since all I did was a fresh upgrade nothing else Hopefully this post will help other users

A:Can not create a new local user ?

Hello Bob,

It seems that you are not alone. Many people have been reporting issues after doing an upgrade install to Windows 8. I would recommend for anyone to do a clean install with their Windows 8 upgrade instead to avoid remnants of the previous OS possibly causing issues.

Clean Install with Windows 8 Upgrade

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/13781-can-not-create-new-local-user.html
Relevancy 48.59%

Hi I have a Win 2000 PC and I would like to be able to put user restrictions on it for a local user. I have went into "gpedit.exe" to change some things but they do not seemm to take. Is there someplace else I can set these restriction?

A:Restricting Local User

Did you run gpupdate /force and allow for at least 2 logins? also run gpresult to see if they are applying or not.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/restricting-local-user.433809/
Relevancy 48.59%

Hey peeps!

I just installed a W7 system for one of my users and I want him to be local admin. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do this. How do I do this?

Thanks so much!

Relevancy 48.59%

I want to setup a Local User Account with Administrator priveledges on a laptop that currently has a single login via a Microsoft Outlook com User Account which I want to keep active I had User - Local Account W8.1 assumed that this would be as simple a process as it was on XP Vista and W However I first consulted a number of other techical websites and have been rather confused by the large number of reported quot issues quot that users seem to have when setting up a Local Account Surely W permits multiple Users on the W8.1 - Local User Account same machine and surely it is up to the owner of that machine as to whether they want a Local Account with Admin rights So why all the reported quot problems quot that Users are W8.1 - Local User Account having when doing something which should be very simple Some of the reported problems are - W8.1 - Local User Account - After setting up the Local Account the user could not login to the Microsoft Account - User files in the Microsoft Account quot disappear quot after creating Local Account - Microsoft services such as Outlook com and SkyDrive stop working in all accounts after creating a Local Account - Programs won t run under the Local Account unless the User activates quot Run as Administrator quot - Profile of Microsoft Account corrupt after creating Local Account - Locked out of Admin rights on both the Microsoft and the Local accounts I would really appreciate some clarity over whether or not there are quot issues quot associated with creating a Local Account in W TiA T nbsp

A:W8.1 - Local User Account

I just created a Local Account to try it out and encountered no problems as you described. But, I am running 8.1. Probably MS fixed a few things in this new release.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/w8-1-local-user-account.1117859/
Relevancy 48.59%

I acquired a new PC which already had a local userid supplied by the vendor (without a password). I lieu of creating a new user which apparently requires I-net access as it requests an email address I chose to rename the one supplied by the vendor. that worked fine however, it did not change the folder under the Documents folder and their does not seem to be a way to rename it.

What is the best way of getting this corrected and still accomplishing my original objective?

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/69706-changing-local-user-id.html
Relevancy 48.59%

Hello. I have a laptop that I use from work. I changed the computer from logging on to a domain to my home workgroup. When I rebooted my computer I cant log on. I don't know the administrator password or any local user acounts on the machine.

How can I change back to log on to the domain without logging on?

Please help...thanks!

Oh Windows 2000 pro BTW

A:Can't log on to a local user account PLEASE HELP

I have a corporate PC as well. The only way I know to work around this "fully" is to contact your network administrator. There is something you can try though.

If you know your domain name from work try typing this into your user id field:

<domain name>\<user id>

Then type your password accordingly.

Hope this helps.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-log-on-to-a-local-user-account-please-help.146520/
Relevancy 48.16%

I just got a new laptop for school, and I wanted to set up RDP on my desktop to remote into when I'm at school. I thought it would be pretty straight-forward, but I'm having an issue that I can't quite figure out.

So, from the Remote tab of the System Properties dialog, I have "Allow Remote Assistance" ticked, and "Allow connections only from computers running Remote Desktop" blah blah.

Then I hit Select Users to add my user account from my laptop, except when I push the Locations button, the only location that is available is my desktop PC. I (maybe wrongfully?) assumed that I would be able to select any location on my network or something. If it makes any difference, my desktop is running Win7 Ultimate x64 and the laptop is running Win8.1 Home x64.

Here's what I mean:

Any ideas what the problem is? Thanks in advance!

A:Can't figure out how to add a non-local user for RDP access.

Not really my area, but even for remote access you'll need to log in with a local account. Logging in remotely or locally is basically the same thing, but for remote desktop you can choose which accounts are allowed to be used. From your screenshots, the top middle, "Jonathan already has access".

Think of RDP like working locally but from a distance. When you use RDP and log in to your desktop you want the same desktop, icons and configuration as when you log in locally, right? Then you need to log in with the same account.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/356379-cant-figure-out-how-add-non-local-user-rdp-access.html
Relevancy 48.16%

I've been trying to recreate/rebuild a user account for a local user. The user had software issues that were not present under other accounts.

I renamed her account to username_old. but instead of Windows creating a new account using their login name like I'm used to with XP, it is logging in under the TEMP account. I can't change anything in that account because when they log out there is no TEMP under the Users directory.

What do I have to do to have Windows recreate the user's account under their login?

A:recreating local user account

Please check these Microsoft articles.

Fix a corrupted user profile

How to Fix Corrupted User Profile in Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/208778-recreating-local-user-account.html
Relevancy 48.16%

I've done this before on NT, but I don't remember how. I'd also like to do it in 2K/XP.

If I had to guess, it would be in NT's musrmgr, but it's not.

Relevancy 48.16%

Hi everyone my first post here I am facing a little problem with my networking at office I have windows xp bit installed on my PC i use both local networking and internet on this system via LAN i a using TCp Ip settings and gateway settings to use local lan as well as internet via LAN on mY pC Everything works just fine No when i take my PC home and i want use internet on this i have to obviously change the TCP Ip settings and gateway as the home internet is from a different service provider Ok it works fine at home and i am able to use the internet now next day the problem comes i go to the office and change my LAN settings again to the older works user LOCAL LAN making without new not ones Now i am again LOCAL LAN not works without making new user able to use the internet But My local LAN is not working its not accessible buit internet is working Now i tried something I made a new user as computer administrator and LOCAL LAN not works without making new user voila the LAN starts working as well as the internet So i face this problem everytime i change my Ip settimgs when i come back to office and LOCAL LAN not works without making new user change the IP settings i have to make a new user as computer administrator to be able to use LOCAL LAN again Otherwise just the internet works and not the Local LAN i am anot able to figure out what can be the problem Please help Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 48.16%

I domain Can't - user for profile local Win set XP can t seem to have a user on my domain have a local profile on this one computer of mine One of my users see pic named ben has a local profile however when I added another user Can't set local profile for domain user - Win XP nicole using the window on the right The user doesn t even appear in the profiles settings over on the left I ve logged in with nicole and it says it can t find the roaming profile and is going to use a temporary profile But when I go to change the profile from roaming to local the quot local profile quot option is grayed out when i m logged in as nicole when I m logged in as an administrator nicole doesn t appear on the profile settings list so I can t change it there either I m a bit confused My PDC is running samba on a linux box The worst part is roaming profiles aren t even enabled in the samba settings If there is any other information you need from me please let me know nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-set-local-profile-for-domain-user-win-xp.466626/
Relevancy 48.16%

Hello,
I have a big trouble with user account.

I have just got windows 8 and trying to create another account in my laptop.

*1 user local created, and Guest account actived. ( Everything is ok)
*when i connect with a new user account or Guest, windows connect and deconnect automatically.
Could you explain me why ? and how to fix it ?

Thank u so much.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/20931-cannot-connect-user-local-guest.html
Relevancy 48.16%

Does anyone know of a quick and easy way to add all of the user's of a domain to the local power users group on their machines? For instance, if I have a network of 100 users and I want to add each user to the local power users group of their own PC, can I do this somehow? I'm thinking through a script or some other tool. Anyone know how this can be done without visiting each desktop? I'm talking about W2K Pro desktops (maybe a few NT 4 Workstations) on a W2K network with Active Directory (and a few NT 4 servers). Thanks.

A:Easy way to add user's to local groups.....

This can be done through scripting. There is a good site for scripts already written at www.myitforum.com. If you don't find what you need you can ask for it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/easy-way-to-add-users-to-local-groups.71235/
Relevancy 48.16%

Hi,

I am unable to access the local disk C on my new HP laptop. My network has policies in place, one for laptops and one for desktops. Desktops have been setup so the C drive is not accessible unless logged in as admin, but laptops have access to all admin settings and the local disk.

I have a feeling my laptop is picking up the desktop policy not the laptop policy, but i'm unsure of how to fix. Is this a local machine issue or sometging I need to edit on the server?

I have looked at active directory and computers, and the management conssole, but not sure where to go from there, any help would be greatly appreciated.

A:Cannot access local disk as user

Please do not create more than one thread for the same issue.

Closing duplicate.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-access-local-disk-as-user.1092724/
Relevancy 48.16%

I hope this is an easily solved issue but here we go I need to add a folder located Local Profiles 6 for User IE Favorites on the local machine to the favorites menu on IE both XP and K machines will be used in this evolution Many of the local profiles already exsist on the PC so simply adding the folder to favorites in the default user folder will work being that default user only affects new profiles being created IE 6 Favorites for Local User Profiles on the machine not those already in exisitance Adding this to All Users does not IE 6 Favorites for Local User Profiles add the short cut to the favorites menu from what I can tell eithe What I am looking to do is to create this folder in the already exsisting user accounts on these machines It wouldnt be a big deal normally but I have to do this across machines each with multiple users or more profiles at least per machine As a last result I can blow out thier profiles and let them recreate thier own on each machine but by doing that I run the risk of loosing any local profile stored data Help nbsp

A:IE 6 Favorites for Local User Profiles

Your solution would be to create those folders into...

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Favorites

... but you said it didn't work? Have you tested it? If yes, what happened?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ie-6-favorites-for-local-user-profiles.444174/
Relevancy 48.16%

I have several HP home computers that I am setting up local account users for. I have 7 kids so 9 of us in the family. I have created local user accounts with no email(kids). Some of them work and some I get profile service service failed can not load profile.

I have delete and recreated them but still no joy. I have deleted, powered down and recreated them still the same error. What the heck. Why can't the local accounts work?

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/56932-local-access-user-login.html
Relevancy 48.16%

From what I have read, in order to use OneDrive (integrated in the OS, not the web browser), you have to use a MSA account to login to the computer in order to use OneDrive.

Is there a way to use a Local user account, while still using OneDrive without using a web browser? Even if it means I have to login everytime I open the drive from Windows Explorer? I plan on installing Win10 and using a local account to use the computer (I have a MSA account that I can use for OneDrive, but don't plan on using it to login to the computer itself).

Thanks in advance

A:Local User Account and OneDrive

Hello Jaesun, and welcome to Ten Forums.

When you sign in to OneDrive using OPTION TWO below, you would still need to sign in with a Microsoft account, but you can do so while still remaining signed in to Windows 10 with a local account.

OneDrive - Unlink in Windows 10

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/44400-local-user-account-onedrive.html
Relevancy 48.16%

I have a bunch of empty folders in C:\User\Username\AppData\Local that have number and letter characters. Like this
{0E091B39-4B52-47D3-A112-2B4D5C09F64F}

Is it OK to delete these. They date back to when I first built this system, beginning of March.
Thanks

A:Folder in User\Name\Appdata\Local

Well I deleted them to no ill effect.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/153796-folder-user-name-appdata-local.html
Relevancy 48.16%

Hello here is my case I'm using a laptop I'm using this laptop at office and at home At office I am a domain admin let's say MyDomain MyUser and I use this user to log in to my machine I have added MyDomain MyUser as a local admin of my machine At hime I'm not connected to quot MyDomain quot but I still log in using the account MyDomain MyUser It's ok I can connect But anyway when I'm at home there are some things I cannot do like doing quot cmd admin local Domain user and iisreset quot -- gt must be admin launching a quot visual studio quot solution whena project is registered to Domain user and local admin IIS -- gt must be admin In SQL Server I cannot do some modification when I log as windows authentication and even if this user is dbowner As I understand when I'm disconnected of the domain it does not quot really quot recognize me as being an admin any more until he quot can be sure quot it's me by checking in the domain There are some scenario where this is very blocking for me Can I solve that And how Many thanks

A:Domain user and local admin

Welcome to Sevenforums,

I suggest you to have a look at the MS Support for Windows 7:
Windows 7 Solution Center

Do a search for keyword "Domain" (Domain not available) in the "Advanced Search" Tab.
This will display around 1000 results. Readed some and you might find what you're looking for.

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/104715-domain-user-local-admin.html
Relevancy 48.16%

I have bought a MSI laptop recently with windows 10 installed on it.
In the computer management console Local users and groups snap-in is missing. I have tried the lusrmgr.msc command to

but only a window opened displaying message "The snap in may not be used with this edition of windows.-----" please help on this.

Please help and show it step by step kindly.
Thank you.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/5fd67c68-b2a0-4498-a9eb-d7c74ac1eb07/missing-local-user-and-group?forum=w8itprogeneral
Relevancy 48.16%

I purchased a new Dell 1764 Win 7 Professional about 2-weeks ago and have been learning how to use Win 7 - I consider myself an old XP guy!

I was in the windows explorer to see who was listed inder the Users directory where I found a directory with my name on it. I double clicked and noted the contents of the directory was the same as in XP. I clicked on the Local Settings directory (I temporarily turned off the "hide protected operating system files" option to see if contents was the same) and got a message that access was denied. I was told by a tech that this was normal in Win 7 in order to stop people from changing options, etc. which could cause problems.

My question is this - was the tech correct by saying it was locked for protection? If the answer is yes, then who can access the directory? (I have system administrator rights.

Pierre

A:User account - Local Settings

Hello Pierre,

Yes, he was correct. The faded shortcut protected OS folders are actually only "junction points" to the actual folder instead, and are not real folders. They are used for backwards compatibility for older XP type applications that still reference them by default instead of the newer default locations in Vista and Windows 7 now. They redirect the older application to the new Vista and Windows 7 locations instead.
Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/82265-user-account-local-settings.html
Relevancy 48.16%

Friend set up her new Win8 laptop per MS instructions, with a MS user account (and as admin - thanks MS!). I normally make a new, local admin acct, check it out for functionality, and then remove admin rights to the orig user's acct.
In this case (my first Win8 incident), I created the new local admin acct, but when I try to remove admin rights from the orig user's acct, Win8 tells me that I can't do that, because you must have at least 1 admin acct on the computer!

I am not totally familiar with the concept of MS accts vs local, but she does not intend to buy from the MS store, and doesn't use Skype, FB, or other social prgms.

Thanks in advance for your help...

Jon

A:Convert MS user acct to local

You can change her account to a local account but there still must be an administrator account on the computer.

Go to PC Settings (from the charms menu, select the Gear (Settings), then select Change Pc Settings)

Then Select Accounts, Your Account

Select Disconnect

From there follow the instructions.

You will now have a local account. You will need to create another local account with standard user privileges if you want.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/convert-ms-user-acct-to-local-799642.html
Relevancy 47.73%

I have currently disabled and re-named the Windows 8.1 built in administrator and guest accounts. I would now like to create a local user via command line and set the account password to never expire but there doesn't seem to be a switch for that option.
I am using

/PASSWORDCHG:NO to prevent the password from being changed/AVTIVE:YES
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated :)

DHeinz

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f7111c35-a647-4554-8018-73491a668d9f/net-user-add-local-admin-and-set-password-to-never-expire?forum=w8itprosecurity
Relevancy 47.73%

I m running into an extremely irritating problem We are on a Win K platform here and for the most part all floor workstations are Win k too However perform user updates... Power Local cannot we recently started upgrading to WinXP Pro Therefore we have about pc s Local Power user cannot perform updates... with Pro on them Here s the problem We recently rolled out JDE One World which is not XP certified Therefore because the user is not in the local admin group they cannot perform weekly updates to the software Basically they have to log out I have to log on as the domain admin and perform the updates I ve tried changing the perms for the folders of Local Power user cannot perform updates... the application and I ve tried creating local power users and adding the user But no matter what the settings keep going back to the original configuration and the user cannot do updates I Local Power user cannot perform updates... really need to get this resolved soon because we are adding more and more XP Pro workstations to our floor JDE says that we should add the user to the local admin My System Admin does not want to do this Any ideas Syndi nbsp

A:Local Power user cannot perform updates...

Im guessing that your sys admin does not want them installing a bunch of crap on his pc's? How bouyt just giving them admin but enable driver signing. Chances are most users won't know how to get around that......

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/local-power-user-cannot-perform-updates.247625/
Relevancy 47.73%

Not sure how this happened but as you can see from the image my data drive is showing twice in my user file folder... Any ideas? I don't think it causes any issues it's just odd.

I think it may have happened when I was trying to make the file system more similar to windows XP. With my (D:) Drive acting as my, my documents folder, with folders inside of that.

A:User window shows 2 local drives?...

Why are you trying to make Win7 look and act more like XP? Aren't you interested in learning how to use the best OS ever and not make it act and look like a 1967 Dodge Dart? Delete whatever folder you dragged in and instead drag the contents of the related User folder into each.

The graphics interface looks even older than XP. Rightclick on an empty area of your Desktop to choose Personalize, then choose an Aero theme. You can set up Background slideshow there, too.

Let us know if you need any more help sorting this out, and Welcome to the Future.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/115123-user-window-shows-2-local-drives.html
Relevancy 47.73%

Hi All,

Hopefully a straight forward question for you...

We have a company laptop that is normally used on our domain and the user wants to setup a local user account on it for home use. We have tried adding a new user but it keeps asking for the domain. I am presuming we have to leave the domain and setup a workgroup for example and do it that way?!? But this causes an issue when the user wants to go back on the domain at work.

Appreciate any advice/help.

Thanks,

Andy

A:On Domain want to setup local user account?

New user account

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/on-domain-want-to-setup-local-user-account.664372/
Relevancy 47.73%

What should have been a 2-minute task has turned into a death march, the kind only Microsoft can provide! I simply wanted to remove a long dead hotmail account from my user sign in account and update it with my current outlook email. Seems innocent enough. After much searching and finally finding out that you simply can't do this logical task, I found the 'magic formula' to achieve my goal. The problem is, Windows gives me an 0x80004005 error code after I complete filling out the information for the Local user, preventing it from being created. So it's not possible to switch to local, then switch back. Can anyone give a suggestion as to what to try next? I really miss Win 7! Thanks

A:Can't create local user, only get an 0x80004005 error

Stirring the pot...anyone have a suggestion that might be helpful?

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/40474-cant-create-local-user-only-get-0x80004005-error.html
Relevancy 47.73%

I began setting up my new computer with two accounts---local and Microsoft. Now I see it's a hassle and I'd like to get rid of the local one, but I can't find a way to do it. Thank you.

A:How to Delete a Redundant Local User Account in Win. 8.1?

Hello Dovelyada, and welcome to Eight Forums.

While you are signed in to Windows with your Microsoft account, you should be able to use an option in the tutorial below to delete the local account.

User Account - Delete - Windows 7 Help Forums

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/50480-how-delete-redundant-local-user-account-win-8-1-a.html
Relevancy 47.73%

Hello all. My name is Rob and I work in IT support in NYC. I am currently having a problem when logging into a new Sony Vaio laptop running Win XP SP2. I log in locally and then access the Cisco VPN using an air card. I can log in fine but when I run the logon scripts for this account I receive error message within logon scripts noting that the server where the scripts are are locked out. However when I log directly into the domain using same user account it runs fine. Can you please help? Thanks.

A:Local User Accounts regarding logon scripts

Welcome to TSF....

THere are some lines of important info missing from the scripts, not knowing about the servers or system there I would suggest asking one of the more experienced or knowledgeable techs there how to accurately work the syntax for the scripts.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/local-user-accounts-regarding-logon-scripts-253986.html
Relevancy 47.73%

I created a modified Windows 7 Pro 64 bit installation DVD using RT7lite. Im not sure which change i made that efefcts this, but after joining the domain, I am unable to add a domain user to the local admin group. I get an error saying could not find user. I verified the location is set to the domain and not the local pc. Any help would be appreciated. If needed, i can provide a list of changes i made on the DVD, if thats any help.

Thanks in advance.

A:Issue adding user to local group

Also noticed that when clicking "search Active Directory" under Network, it gives the eerror "The Active Directory Domain Services is currently unavailable." Im sure these are related. Google search hasnt given my any clue as to what it might be.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/505813/issue-adding-user-to-local-group/
Relevancy 47.73%

How can limit the ability of a local user (non-Admin) to access drives and files on a pubic computer?

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/60343-limit-local-user-access-10-home.html
Relevancy 47.73%

My brother has a 2tb hard drive in his computer and he barely uses any of the space in it. So I shared a folder from his computer, and then mapped that folder to mine. I use to this for storage purposes. I was wondering if there was a way from preventing my brother from being able to open this folder if he were to find it on his computer. I'm running win 8 and he's running win 7.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/21435-block-local-user-accessing-folder.html
Relevancy 47.73%

I want to add a user to their PC's local power users group so they can do certain things on the PC that they can't do now. I know that in NT this could be done, and although I don't remember off hand how to do it in NT I know that if I were dealing with NT I could fumble my way through it. How do you do this in W2K in an AD environment?

A:Remotely adding user to local group...

The NT way would be to place a batch file on the PC that you want the user in that local group. The batch file would contain the command "Net user <username> <localgroup> /add" (maybe not exact syntax) but you could test it to see if it works in W2K. If not there may be a tool in the resource kit.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/remotely-adding-user-to-local-group.72144/
Relevancy 47.73%

When I try to add a domain user to the local administrators group, I receive an error saying that the user is already a member of the administrators group. The thing is, that user is not in the member list of the administrators group. Why do I receive that message.

I did a copy of the problematic user in the Active Directory and I am able to add that "testuser" to the local administrators group without any problem.

From my point of view, the problem is not related to user's permissions because I did an exact copy of that user and I can add that "testuser" in the group.

Any solution?

--
PwaX

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cant-add-a-domain-user-in-the-local-admins-group-277067.html
Relevancy 47.73%

I know we can open up folders from other users mailbox such as Inbox, Contacts, Calendar, Tasks, etc.
But, is it possible to open other user's local folders from microsoft outlook?
I mean the folders under Local Server Mail Storage which are contained in personal.pst file. If we could where do we grant the permissions, I couldn't find the tab under local folder properties to grant permissions.
Please help

A:open other user local folders in outlook

If I understand your question, you would have to open the entire .pst file so you would get all the folders. You may try going the import route but that may be a pain in the patoot if you need to access the folders a lot but I think that will let you import only the folders you want, hmmm but it may overwrite your own.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/open-other-user-local-folders-in-outlook.242586/
Relevancy 47.73%

Okay we have a problem I am trying to automate The issue is our users are NOT Administrators on their machines Wooohooo you say Well I do too in most instances In all this is a plus but it does not help us when we have to remote desktop into these machines and then do something as the particular user Here is what I have envisoned so far - echo off SET P comp Type Computer Name IP Here SET P user Type User Name Name add user to local admins group mstsc exe v comp f pause remote user from local admins group Verify Admins group settings The problem with this script is I am not sure what command line functions would local to Admin User Add group temporarily. be used to display out a remote computers local group Also I don t know of a Add User to local Admin group temporarily. command that will remotely add a domain user to a remote machines local group as well as remove them Really all items with the in front I am a little unsure of Basically I am trying to automate a process of - Having the user log off - opening the MMC connecting to another computer adding in the user opening remote desktop doing the work and then removing the user from the group and then doublechecking to make sure the user is gone this last part is imperitive as we have had some machines with the local users left in the admins group and we want to avoid it I was thinking a net command may work like net group or net users but nothing I have come across in the way of switches are setup for remote connection Any thoughts nbsp

Relevancy 47.73%

Hello nbsp I am trying to add a local user permission to a network folder and I cannot get window to choose the correct scope WinXp handles this like a charm I go start run computername share I right click on the folder in question and choose security I then choose edit and then add I am going to change quot From this location quot from the domain to the remote computername I then type network local a to a user Adding share. the name of the local user that I would like to add Click ok I end up with the quot name not found window quot In the security window if I choose advance and click find I end up finding only the quot Built-in quot security names I get around this by using XP but my xp days are numbers are I have been told I have to give up that machine Win seems to always be stuck on searching for domain names rather than changing the scope to the local names nbsp hours and hours of searching returns random noise articles about how to set security on folders nbsp

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/8c44ad35-0d7d-4b4a-99f8-6f5735c42a30/adding-a-local-user-to-a-network-share?forum=w7itprogeneral
Relevancy 47.73%

So yesterday I restarted my computer after an update and I type in my PIN as usual to login and then I get a message saying quot Your password was changed on a different device You must sign in to this device once with your new password and then you can sign in with your PIN quot When I saw that I realized it had to have been my fault because I was using Now Password not cannot ONLY sign-in!! working. USER(local) the command prompt on my girlfriend's laptop to get to know the network commands and I stupidly decided to test out changing my password from the command prompt The thing is I only left out one letter when I typed in the password on the command prompt just to test it and see if I it worked Well now I can't login to my own laptop because of my own dumb curiosity Even worse I didn't add a second user since I had just done a clean windows install and directly updated to Windows So since I only have ONE local user I can't use another user ONLY USER(local) Password not working. Now cannot sign-in!! to login and fix the problem I'd like to avoid reinstalling from scratch I'd really appreciate the help guys Thanks in advance Also my girlfriend used the flash drive with my password reset file on it so that's not an option for me For now I added my Live user account to my girlfriend's laptop for the time being to see if I can fix this but so far no dice

A:ONLY USER(local) Password not working. Now cannot sign-in!!

I managed to find my flash drive with the userkey. Plugged it in and the wizard popped up and filled out the new password and password hint, I hit next and then got an error message saying:
"An error occurred while the wizard was attempting to set the password for this user account."

So maybe this is something else?

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/43683-only-user-local-password-not-working-now-cannot-sign.html
Relevancy 47.73%

Hi,

Is there any way to know the creation date of local user account in windows

A:Need to know the creation date of local user account

rohan.bisht said:

Hi,

Is there any way to know the creation date of local user account in windowsClick to expand...

User Manager for Domains
Active Directory / Users/Groups

Profiles data gets updated in Windows so I was going to suggest that..

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-to-know-the-creation-date-of-local-user-account.106068/
Relevancy 47.73%

i want to restrict Particular website bandwidth or download limite for local user ex: one particular local user can able to download Only 100MB from www.youtube.com....how to do this...? using Group Policys or some thing else...?

A:How to Restrict particular website bandwidth for Local User..?

I'm thinking either a 3rd party application that runs in the background and can be configured by an Administrator with the password, or have an expensive router that has the capability to dish out each local IP on the network a certain quota.

If you are trying to stop your annoying brother/sister downloading, just set up telnet or something, I ususally telnet into my brothers laptop and stop the DHCP service if he is hogging bandwidth or downloading too much. I told him Optus do it if you download too many movies in a short space of time.... and he believes me. He's dumb.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/how-to-restrict-particular-website-bandwidth-for-local-user-321820.html
Relevancy 47.73%

Hi Friends,

I'm working on a Dell Laptop that has Windows 8.1 on it. User can't remember his password. I've tried at least 5 different various tools to get in, and all of them either don't see the drive, or see the drive but see no accounts, or give me error messages when I try to use net user to reset the password from outside the OS.

Please assist!

Apologies if this is the wrong sub-forum to post this in.

Thank you!
James

A:Trying to Get Into Local Account, User Lost Password

Sorry, but our forum rules do not allow us to assist with password related matters as we have no way of checking the validity of the request, this is not any sort of accusation, and we hope you will understand our reasons

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/75763-trying-get-into-local-account-user-lost-password.html
Relevancy 47.73%

Hey I have a very strange user popping up in several User Rights Assignments in my Local Security Settings. The user is a very long string of numbers, hyphens ( - ) and has a asterik ( * ) at the beginning. I'm trying to find out what it belongs to, but I can't seem to find a way to do this.Would you please tell me how to find out what program or who this user belongs to?

A:Strange user in Local Security Assignments

Posting the "very long string of numbers, hyphens ( - ) and has a asterik ( * ) at the beginning", could help us determine what it is

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/212213/strange-user-in-local-security-assignments/
Relevancy 47.73%

I have 200 folders in the C:/user/owner/local with names similar to {4BAD3A78-8A70-44D6-AD84-CF42571B0CD6}. All of them show 0 bytes, 0 files, 0 folders. What the heck are these?

Ron Burnes

A:Files in User/Owner/AppData/Local

Hello anaron

These files are safe to delete if you wish. There are many threads here as to where they come from, some say from windows live mail or messenger and others have different views but I don't remember there been a conclusive answer. The only thing we all agreed on is that the can be safely deleted if you want to however they take up no space so can be left alone.
My advise is to leave them in the recycle bin for a few days just to make sure you have no issues.

Danny

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/212618-files-user-owner-appdata-local.html
Relevancy 47.73%

This is a very strange problem that has been happing We run Windows Server all the client PCs run Windows XP Pro ----- We have on user who can login to her PC fine but if she tries to login to a different PC it will let her login but not load any of her files rather than My Documents linking to her My Documents on the server it links to the local only the she to connect PCs her can User account is administrator where to local My Documents in her profile User can only connect to her account to PCs where she is the local administrator on the actual PC All the other network drives work fine so she can connect to all the shared stuff etc but just not her own personal files my documents desktop etc I have logged in fine on her PC and the others that we tested her account on after some playing we found out that on her PC she is set as the local administrator if we remove that as she shouldn t really be set as admin she suddenly has this connection problem and likewise if we set her to local admin on one of the other PCs sudenly the problem is fixed Any ideas why this might be happening Thanks very much for any help that anyone can give nbsp

A:User can only connect to her account to PCs where she is the local administrator

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-can-only-connect-to-her-account-to-pcs-where-she-is-the-local-administrator.597233/
Relevancy 47.73%

I had a network guy come in and he locked a lot of my group policies out It shows that the Administrator account is locked and disabled I need to get into this computer and it is urgent I have tried enabling the administrator account doing net user administrator active yes and it said it was successful but I still had no effect When you restart the computer it goes back to disabled If I go to add a local user to the policy and it doesn't show Tried adding any form of administrator user and when you restore it says that the administrator account is locked Also when you restart it shows the administrator account Network Group Policies User Help: Need to Local add disabled The computer refuses to add any users to the local group Is there anyway I can add one so I can fix this laptop that a dumbass network guy set up without a restore This all had to be done through CMD as well If you help me I will love you long time Thanks Justin

A:Network Group Policies Help: Need to add Local User

Quote: Originally Posted by JTNKTZ

I had a network guy come in and he locked a lot of my group policies out. It shows that the Administrator account is locked and disabled. I need to get into this computer and it is urgent. I have tried enabling the administrator account doing net user administrator /active:yes and it said it was successful but I still had no effect. When you restart the computer it goes back to disabled
If I go to add a local user to the policy and it doesn't show. Tried adding any form of administrator user and when you restore it says that the administrator account is locked. Also when you restart it shows the administrator account disabled.

The computer refuses to add any users to the local group. Is there anyway I can add one so I can fix this laptop that a dumbass network guy set up without a restore.

This all had to be done through CMD as well.......

If you help me I will love you long time
Thanks,
Justin

Justin

I would think the network IT guy did that for a reason and if their policy is to lock out the admin account they want it that way. I would suggest you call the IT guy with an explanation as to why you need it and perhaps he will make an exception.

\What exactly do you need to do anyway?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/151291-network-group-policies-help-need-add-local-user.html
Relevancy 47.73%

Hi all,

I'm experiencing an issue with a work station that I cant seem to find a work around for. Typically in a domain environment you would have a log in screen with the user's full name (John A. Doe) with their username below it in smaller font (local\jdoe) as I'm sure most of us are familiar with.

I recently removed a machine from our domain, but on reboot I'm not able to login with any local accounts. Looks like something funky as I'm only seeing the full name of the last user (John A. Doe) and no arrow to allow for the "Other Users" option.

I've tried using the password for the last user that signed on but no luck there. Can anyone point me in the direction as to how to get over this hump.

Thanks

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/75314-no-local-user-login-after-removal-domain.html
Relevancy 47.73%

Hi,

I am playing around with Server 2012. If I want to have a laptop configured for "at office use" with option to go on site, what would be the best way to do that in order to retain access to shared locations on server that is "at office"?

Should I create a standard windows account unrelated to my domain controller, and have them VPN regardless if they are in office or on site? Or is there a way to have a laptop configured for domain use, where it will still be functional (local computer use) on site outside of the office, even without internet connection (I know you can's VPN without it).

Thanks

A:Best way to set up local and remote user with Server 2012

Well this is kind of interesting. You can in fact use a domain laptop away from the local network as long as you have logged into int once on the domain so it can cache your password for future log ins. Now comes to the more difficult part of your question's. Accessing files remotely while not online, you can set up what is called offline files. Offline files will give you acess to your files away from domain network. So if you choose to do offline files any changes made to the file while away from the domain controller where you shares are set up will have to be synced once back on the domain network. So if you make changes to lets say docA while off domain network, once you get back to domain network you will have to sync offline files to the server to update any changes you have made. This set up would not require offsite network but can bring problems when syncing once you reconnect on domain. But now lets say you have the same shares and now you have multiple individials with the same access to the shares. Say you make changes to docA and the other person makes changes to docA while offiste. Once you both reconnect and sync to server you could have issues with data such as duplicate information or doc merging. VPN would be the best option for sure....

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/best-way-to-set-up-local-and-remote-user-with-server-2012.206403/
Relevancy 47.73%

Everytime I try to create an incoming VPN connection I get the error message
"The Local User Database Handle is Corrupt" and cannot add any "allowed"
users to the user list. Please advise how to get around this error.

A:The Local User Database Handle is Corrupt

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely/browse_thread/thread/a396f55f36c19fd2/3cf132c0e580d42d%233cf132c0e580d42d

Please define "everything". We get Users of varying ability here.

Updates ? SP2 ? AV Updates ?

One Googled thread suggests simply "Refreshing" the page. Please post back if this works or not.

Girder

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/the-local-user-database-handle-is-corrupt-153121.html
Relevancy 47.73%

I have a laptop Windows XP Pro that I have been using for work so I have been logging in both when I m in the office and on the network and when I am offline at home using a local remove Keep it user domain profile from but work-related domain user I will no longer be working with that company and so would like to cease to use that domain user How can I make that user a local user no longer associated with the domain Alternatively how can I easily copy all the user profile settings and files I have Keep local user profile but remove it from domain tried quot Copy To quot from System gt Advanced gt User Profiles but the Copy To button is grayed out for the domain user I wish to copy I have also copied the ntuser files to a new local user which seemed to go okay Except that I am stuck on how to disconnect Outlook from my work s Exchange Outlook won t open in the new user profile and get my ACT from Sage database synching with the remote It all just seems a bit more than I can figure out Easiest thing would be to just quot unhook quot the domain user profile from the domain and have it be strictly local Any guidance would be much appreciated Thanks nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/keep-local-user-profile-but-remove-it-from-domain.919822/
Relevancy 47.73%

Hello, sorry for being a bit thick but should I remove the .tmp files from the above directory and is it safe to do so?

A:c user appdata local temp directory

Hello David, and welcome to Vista Forums.

Yes, it's safe to delete your temp files.
Temporary Files - Temp FolderIf you like, you could use Disk Cleanup every so often to cleanup temp and junk files instead. I personally like using the free CCleaner to do so though.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/298215-c-user-appdata-local-temp-directory.html
Relevancy 47.73%

hello i need help here im using Windows bit Ultimate of OS i m trying to move my folders the Local the problem i can't move it LocalLow successfully moved Roaming successfully moved to my drive D but the problem is i can't move the quot Local quot the folder which is location user/local folder changing located in quot C users my username appdata local while in moving process there was a some type of error pops up saying that quot The action can't be completed because the file is open in System Close the the file and try again quot UsrClass Dat quot Type LOG file Size KB and the other two that also can't be moved quot UsrClass Dat LOG quot and quot UsrClass Dat LOG quot i tried to skip those files however another pop up saying that i failed to move the file and operation was canceled by the user i tried over and over even on safemode and fresh reformat still not a chance moving changing user/local folder location that folder the weird thing is on my other computer has successfully moved the quot Local quot folder to drive D without any issue so anyone knows about this issue i really need to move the quot Local quot folder thanks in advance EDIT okay i just figure how to change it so this thread is closed

A:changing user/local folder location

Is this for a backup? Because if it's not, you shouldn't move these folders from there current location, there's a reason why there hidden.

Also, even if you do move this folder, Windows 7 would recreate it the next time you logon. Unless you create a shortcut to the new location of these folders in your current AppData folder.

And you can move the folders but it would require you to do so in such a way that you did not use Windows, because that is the service that is using the files that you are trying to move. The computer would have to be either logged off or shut down when the files were being moved, which would require another operating system or even computer.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/148048-changing-user-local-folder-location.html
Relevancy 47.73%

Hi,

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate (desktop machine). The machine has a number of accounts, each of which are logged in and running programs.

I've considered running VMs, but I don't want to break the licencing on the software that I am running. So, I am stuck with running multiple user accounts.

I'd like to be able to access the desktop of the other accounts without logging out and changing user. I considered the possibility of using remote desktop, but in this scenario, the computer has a single IP address.

Any suggestions for how to do this, or whether it is even possible?

Thanks

Christopher

A:How to access desktop of local user account

Why do you need different user accounts like this? The explanation doesn't make sense.
What keeps you from having everything under your named User account?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/247323-how-access-desktop-local-user-account.html
Relevancy 47.3%

i need a little help

who can declare me what is the differnz between a user, who is member in the administrator group and the built in administrator.and is there a possibility to grow up a user to a built in administrator

A:User with local admin wrights and the built in Administrator

1) The only practical difference that I know of is that for the built-in admin, UAC is disabled by default. That means that the built-in admin never requires elevation. But, as we all know, UAC can be turned off by the user so even when an admin user launches a program, he will be elevated automatically.

2) The built-in admin account cant be deleted (though it can be disabled).

3) A minor difference is that the built-in admin has a "well known" security identifier (SID). I remember reading somewhere that some apps look for a particular SID string and install/ run only if they can find it. Though I am yet to encounter any such.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/95969-user-local-admin-wrights-built-administrator.html
Relevancy 47.3%

I was wondering if anyone knew a way to create local administrator accounts on Windows 2000 machines. Either through the registry or some sort of batch file.

I need to create a admin account with the same password on about 60 machines and I don't want to have go to every work station and do it manually.

Relevancy 47.3%

I am setting up computers for public use. They came pre-loaded with Windows 10 Home. I need some things:

1. Ability for local user to sign in without password
2. Limited access to programs said user (whitelist if possible)
3. No access for local user to files and drives.
4. Whitelist for internet

I was able to do 1-3 easily on Windows 8, but I am not successful in W10. Any advice?

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/59763-how-do-i-limit-local-user-abilities-windows-10-home.html
Relevancy 47.3%

Hello I have a rather unique setup here where I would like to be able to point domain user's roaming profiles to a local account on a Windows PC Would anyone know how to do this We have many computers a profiles to user Directing local account Roaming here all with a local user called quot PE quot for Directing Roaming profiles to a local user account profile editor which I would like to make the standard profile for people logging in The systems are all locked down with a program called DeepFreeze which means that no changes would be saved locally at all Right now PE is set as the default user so every time someone logs into a computer here it copies the PE profile to their new profile However with all the software we have this profile is around MB in size which leads to login times of about minutes My hope is that I can slim this login time down by implementing this User logs on with domain credentials Because they have a roaming profile set up to point to C Users PE Directing Roaming profiles to a local user account they are able to get right in with very little login time Now they get on quickly and have access to their allotted network storage space When they log off the computer will restart and will be back to a fresh image Step is the one that I am unsure of how to implement Does anyone see a way this could work Thanks for your help

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/directing-roaming-profiles-to-a-local-user-account-511156.html
Relevancy 47.3%

I set up a local user account on a company to into domain added unable I user to it local after log Laptop the laptop that was to be used for employees who needed a lap top temporarily I later added the laptop to the domain so that users could also use their company credentials However after putting the computer on the domain the local guest user account doesn't work I went in as an admin and played with the account it is still there Laptop unable to log into local user after I added it to the domain and nothing has been disabled When logging in I insert the computer-name guest and it claims the password or domain is wrong I just set the password and the local computer domain name is right here in front of me nothing has been inserted wrong Is this an issue that need's to be addressed in group policy which I need to go to someone else for or can I Laptop unable to log into local user after I added it to the domain solve this on the local machine Microsoft really needs to patch these domain issues or they need to give Windows Seven log in options the flexibility XP had Just saying

A:Laptop unable to log into local user after I added it to the domain

Hi there,

To log on locally try Computer Name\User Name. If still didn't help try creating a new User Name from Computer Management (see attached image) and see if it helps. I have switched back and forth many times between domain and local and I never experienced an issue logging on either way.

Quote:
computer-name/guest

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/244297-laptop-unable-log-into-local-user-after-i-added-domain.html
Relevancy 47.3%

Two days ago I received quite a strong new Win computer with SATA drive I have opted for a LOCAL user only without a password The boot process was extremely fast the computer turns-on to the blue log-in screen in few seconds and then pressing Enter the signing-in process was almost immediate Then a bad thing happened I was lured by Microsoft to sign-in with a Microsoft account Then Local disconnect becomes time too sign-in user (after long signing-in to my computer with this MS account and password took ages I mean something like a full one minute the computer Local user sign-in time becomes too long (after disconnect was trying to sign-in until eventually succeeding Understanding my mistake why would I want an MS account I decided to disconnect from my Microsoft account and return back to my nice local user But now the long waiting time to signing-in even without a password and with an automatic log-in still remains I wait like sec when the blue screen and the white dot circulate repeatedly until my account is signed-in What is going on Help me

A:Local user sign-in time becomes too long (after disconnect

The following is only a partial solution, as the boot-up time is still very slow.
The solution shortens the time to sign-up, namely, when you sign-out and then
sign-in, things should be fast. (But not when you first sign-in after boot).
Damn Windows' incompetent software engineers!
Delayed PIN log on when full start up - Microsoft Community

Go to pc services and switch the startup type from the Credential Manager service (VaultSvc) from manual to automatic.

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/51625-local-user-sign-time-becomes-too-long-after-disconnect.html
Relevancy 47.3%

Here are the steps I took Please tell me if I should have done differently On the server end add the user and computer to the domain in advance Fresh install windows and make the first username Admin Once at desktop rename PC to match PC name on domain i e Workstation Add computer to mydomain local and when asked for username and password I entered the credentials for the new user Restarted the PC and signed into mydomain newuser without any problems However now when I try to access the original local Admin account by typing 'Workstation local Admin' as the username and adding domain Can't as a computer user to after login a local then the password It keeps saying password invalid So I logged back into the domain account and tried resetting the password to Admin and then tried signing in as admin again still no luck Currently there are accounts on the computer one of them is a local domain account for newuser and the other is a local Admin account which I cannot Can't login as local user after adding a computer to a domain access What kind of glitch is this Should I have not joined the domain through the original Admin account and instead added a local user to the PC 'newuser' and then sign in as that user locally then add them to the domain through their own local account I didn't think this was necessary

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/52384-cant-login-local-user-after-adding-computer-domain.html
Relevancy 47.3%

Ok, so I just upgraded to W7 and was going through a process of organizing the "libraries" and I noticed (possibly of my own doing but am not sure) that the second drive in my system (B) was sitting there in my user folder. My question is, is that normal? How did it get there and how do I correct it if it isn't suppose to be there. Here is a picture of what I am talking about...

[/URL][/IMG]

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/local-disk-inside-user-directory-folder.970920/
Relevancy 47.3%

There is a very strange user popping up in several User Rights Assignments in this computer's Local Security Settings. It's name is comprised of a long string of numbers, hyphens ( - ) and has a asterik ( * ) at the beginning. I'm trying to find out what it belongs to, but I can't seem to find a way to do this.

Would you please tell me how to find out what program or who this user belongs to?

As tempting as it is to simply remove every entry completely, I would like to eliminate the possibility of it being remnants from a virus/trojan that the antivirus scans removed recently.

A:Mysterious User Profile in Local Security Settings... please help.

Did you delete a user recently? I don't remember the asterisk being there, but if you delete a user, then the Security tab will show his security ID instead.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/mysterious-user-profile-in-local-security-settings-please-help.810679/
Relevancy 47.3%

Hi,
I just bought a new notebook with Windows 8.1 und do not manage to get the Mail program started.

I am using 8.1 with a local user only, I do not want to register with a Microsoft account.
I searched in a couple of forums, and then changed some settings via regedit (MSAOptional in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System)

Now the Mail program is not asking for a Microsoft account any more and directly brings me to a start screen where I can enter a mail address and password. However, when I enter my gmail address and pw, I get an error message 'We cannot find settings for [email protected]'. I also tried to go into the settings menu of the Mail programm (which appears on the right side of the screen>), but there are no options to add an account or similar.Does anyone know how to get the mail program running?

Thanks!

http://www.eightforums.com/browsers-mail/64275-error-message-windows-8-1-mail-local-user.html
Relevancy 47.3%

hi,

I work in a school with a CC3 (RM) network basically modified windows xp and 2000, i have joined a standard windows xp machine to the domain and added a user on the domain local admins group, however when this user logs in they can see the c drive and access other usually restricted parts of windows what they can not do is change the screen resolutions or right click on the task bar.

what would cause this to happen? my understanding is that once the user is in the local admin group they should have full access to everything on that laptop and rm will not supplt support because they do not support standard windows.

there is no way to block this kind of use from active directory is there ??

Relevancy 47.3%

I was having a lot of trouble creating a local user account with a powershell script Basically the script would throw no errors but the account would not with powershell creating local user account Problems be shown in quot Control Panel User Accounts Manage another user account quot It would seem that the user Problems creating local user account with powershell create functionality of ADSI doesn't work the same way in win as it did in win I Problems creating local user account with powershell finally figured out that the accounts had been created but they weren't a member of quot Users quot by default and when they weren't a member of users they didn't show up in the control panel Script Local User Management Module Run the script above and then run the following two commands New-localuser -username quot newuser quot -password quot quot -description quot created by powershell quot Set-Localgroup -username quot newuser quot -groupname quot Users quot -add That should create the new user account and add it to the Users group so it is visible and can be used

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/9807-problems-creating-local-user-account-powershell.html
Relevancy 47.3%

Hey everyone.
I recently set up a domain consisting of Server 2003 as the DC and Vista Ultimate x64 as client. What I'm interested in is if it's possible (and how) to copy an existing local user profile on Vista to the domain. I've searched for any option that would do just that or similar but found nothing.
Thanks for the help.

A:Local Vista user profile copy to AD (Serv2003)

Hi ogreus,

Its not possible to copy a local profile onto a Domain server because of the security restrictions placed on profiles by the Server...You can copy the files over but not the settings because they would be totally different to what the AD uses...Have you tried using roaming profiles?

Steven

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/153153-local-vista-user-profile-copy-ad-serv2003.html
Relevancy 47.3%

Hi all. I have this problem: every time the Windows 8 starts it seems that i loose the permissions to the temp folder. As a result some applications using that folder to launch (for example Google drive) fail giving me an error. Another example are some installation files not starting because the temp folder cannot be used.
So, i have always to go to temp folder and manually set the permissions to have all working.

What can I do?
Thank you

A:Set permissions to \<user>\AppData\Local\Temp folder

So, I googled your problem and it appears that others are experiencing a similar issue and the common denominator appears to be an Adobe Acrobat product. So, you might want to check out these links if you have Acrobat installed:

Can't install any applications. - Microsoft Community

Adobe Community: Acrobat replaces NTFS permissions of Temp folder

Good luck.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/27720-set-permissions-user-appdata-local-temp-folder.html
Relevancy 47.3%

Hello I m not a beginner in computing but fairly new to Windows I read some pages on this topic but can t get it to go So Here it is I deployed student oriented computers going in the school classroom at Windows Pro SP I installed Win Pro SP on a target computer in Local server managment account non user joined. and created a school admin account and a student user account Installed Office registered Windows and office I did Windows update I did a default sysprep caught the reboot on Clonezilla installed it on all other same model computers At each reboot it asked me to create another admin Local user account managment in non server joined. account and re-activated Windows Pro SP Now I forgot to harden the student user account If I harden student account on one computer like remove the capacity to change the background picture with the MMC with the local user and computer choosing the student account and selecting what I want to restrict Which tool can I use to transfer this students restrictions to other computer LocalGPO LGPO LGPOPack with out MLGPO What would the command line for exporting the student account restrictions be What would the command line for importing the student account restrictions be Thanks in advance

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/c0f27a5a-ea69-4b4d-9692-6013e23df165/local-user-account-managment-in-non-server-joined?forum=w7itproinstall
Relevancy 47.3%

First let me say I spend almost ALL my time in the desktop and my main pc's still have win When I upgraded an old win laptop to I used my HotMail account After getting some Store apps and setting & merge Can 1-HotMail 1-Live I users. user? 1-Local to up SkyDrive I decided I did not 1-HotMail & 1-Local users. Can I merge to 1-Live user? like having MS see everything so I created a local account and was able to move most data over I think from using the Public folders except for some DRM'ed Flash video courses On both accounts desktop I believe I installed the win Skydrive download Next I upgraded in-place to and basically had to repeat this process all over again Upgrading to and trying to get password protected file makes me think I might cave to MS 1-HotMail & 1-Local users. Can I merge to 1-Live user? and try to merge both accounts 1-HotMail & 1-Local users. Can I merge to 1-Live user? into LIVE account Does everybody really like having everything on a MS Live account It seems like they force you if you did want to use any apps and desktop Skydrive So I'm hoping to get some help trying to merge my accounts into new MS Live user account and not lose the few apps I bought or the DRM I know it's probably hopeless but any help or suggestions on how would be most welcome

A:1-HotMail & 1-Local users. Can I merge to 1-Live user?

Hello chockfullof,

No worries. When you purchase apps in the Store, you will always be able to download and install it again without having to purchase it again.

If you like, here's a workaround if you wanted your current local account to be your Microsoft account, but your current Microsoft account will be switched and deleted.

Switch your Microsoft account to be a local account.Switch you old local account to be your Microsoft account now. Your settings from the Microsoft account will automatically sync.Any modern apps not installed in the now Microsoft account, you can use "Your Apps" (OPTION ONE below) in the Store to install them again without having to purchase them again.
Apps - Install Metro Apps from Windows 8 StoreYou may need to create shortcuts for any desktop programs that you don't have from the old Microsoft account now local account in the now Microsoft account.Copy anything else you wanted form the old Microsoft account now local account in the now Microsoft account.When everything checks out, you could delete the old Microsoft account now local account from first step.
Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/41016-1-hotmail-1-local-users-can-i-merge-1-live-user.html
Relevancy 47.3%

Can anyone help??

I am having trouble with my Windows XP Pro.
I have two user accounts on my laptop, one is a domain account (work) and the other is the local account. Ever since I connected this laptop to my work domain I am unable to connecto to broadband anywhere else.

For example, I can connect to the internet fine when I am on the work network. However, when I am at home and logged into the local account I am unable to connect to the internet (whether it be wired or wireless).

I spoke to an IT friend of mine who (after going through a few steps) said that my local account seems to be using my domain account server to access the net.

Any help would be appreciated as it is driving me mad . Only other option I have is to reinstall.

Thanks.

Relevancy 47.3%

Ok, so I just upgraded to W7 and was going through a process of organizing the "libraries" and I noticed (possibly of my own doing but am not sure) that the second drive in my system (B) was sitting there in my user folder. My question is, is that normal? How did it get there and how do I correct it if it isn't suppose to be there. Here is a picture of what I am talking about...

A:Local Disk inside User Directory (folder)

hey, what you must have done is drug it over there by accident, as you can see it is still located were it is supposed to be further below, all you did was add a link to it. so you can safely erase the link, or ignore it, its up to you.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/133628-local-disk-inside-user-directory-folder.html