Windows Support Forum

Allow local user control in RDP?

Q: Allow local user control in RDP?

In our network we have many remote sites. We are currently all WinXP Pro but are starting to transition to Windows 7 (64-bit) when we cycle PCs out.

We have been using RealVNC for years instead of RDP because RealVNC allows shared control of the PC between you and the local user (ie: "Show me what you are talking about"). I've tried Tight (which leaves lots remnants after uninstalling), Real (simply does not work unless you buy the Enterprise version, for ~800 computers that just isn't going to work) and Ultra (works, but randomly resets its options and closes down once you log out of a profile).

Is there a way to allow shared control during RDP? If not, is there another VNC-ish program I can try (freeware) that's as reliable as RealVNC has been under XP?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/allow-local-user-control-in-rdp.171996/
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Allow local user control in RDP?

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 24.08%

Hi, I have a single network with wired and wireless connection. I would like to control bandwidth usage by the users because some users just download big files while others watch movies on the network.
how best and how first can I solve this?
is it possible for me to allocate bandwidth to a specific access point?
I badly want to find users who are watching movies or downloading big files and control them.
thank you

A:Bandwidth monitoring and control

First caveat, there's a difference between Monitoring vs Controlling bandwidth.

That said, Paessler has good tools for monitoring. It is not clear that they also control.

They document Four Methods of Monitoring.

Download and use the 30-day free trial.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bandwidth-monitoring-and-control.216145/
Relevancy 21.93%

Hello,

I bought a R9 270X by XFX. My current specs are:

CPU: AMD A10 7800k (Standard Clock Speeds, Graphics Disabled)
RAM: 4GB (2 sticks, both working)
Motherboard: FM2, Gigabyte
PSU: 500 watt 80+ Cert Silver
HDD: 500GB WD Blue

So the issue is that the R9 card consistenly crashes out of all games no matter if I uninstall the drivers or reinstall them. I have tried removing the drivers through catalyst control center and through application based tools (DisplayDriverUninstaller). Once I uninstall and reinstall, it works, until the computer is restarted and then rinse and repeat.

Is this the card saying it is dying? If so it is a weird way of graphics card dying.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/r9-270x-doa-or-user-error.209138/
Relevancy 23.65%

Hi,

Kindly advise how can I avoid the control and traffic limit set on the TP LINK router by the admin ? We are not operating through servers.....just a router and switch. The purpose is I can download without identifying its my PC.

A:Avoid Bandwidth/traffic control on router

avoid the control and traffic limit set on the TP LINK router by the adminClick to expand...

Be a good Net citizen and play by the rules. Techspot does not knowingly support hacking or hackers and bypassing the settings of an admin is hacking.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/avoid-bandwidth-traffic-control-on-router.208237/
Relevancy 23.65%

Hello there,
You can't buy these any more, and there's nothing on ebay.
Anyone have any ideas or one to sell. please let me know!
-Lisa renee

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-control-pod-for-altec-lansing-fx4021-speaker-system.207745/
Relevancy 47.73%

Hi,

I am playing around with Server 2012. If I want to have a laptop configured for "at office use" with option to go on site, what would be the best way to do that in order to retain access to shared locations on server that is "at office"?

Should I create a standard windows account unrelated to my domain controller, and have them VPN regardless if they are in office or on site? Or is there a way to have a laptop configured for domain use, where it will still be functional (local computer use) on site outside of the office, even without internet connection (I know you can's VPN without it).

Thanks

A:Best way to set up local and remote user with Server 2012

Well this is kind of interesting. You can in fact use a domain laptop away from the local network as long as you have logged into int once on the domain so it can cache your password for future log ins. Now comes to the more difficult part of your question's. Accessing files remotely while not online, you can set up what is called offline files. Offline files will give you acess to your files away from domain network. So if you choose to do offline files any changes made to the file while away from the domain controller where you shares are set up will have to be synced once back on the domain network. So if you make changes to lets say docA while off domain network, once you get back to domain network you will have to sync offline files to the server to update any changes you have made. This set up would not require offsite network but can bring problems when syncing once you reconnect on domain. But now lets say you have the same shares and now you have multiple individials with the same access to the shares. Say you make changes to docA and the other person makes changes to docA while offiste. Once you both reconnect and sync to server you could have issues with data such as duplicate information or doc merging. VPN would be the best option for sure....

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/best-way-to-set-up-local-and-remote-user-with-server-2012.206403/
Relevancy 25.37%

Printer Problems in Windows XP sp3
Dell Personal Printer all in one A940
After trying to speed up an older computer running Windows XP
I may have cut off the Print Spooler (or it was already off ?)
I went back to Services dialog box & selected Print Spooler
I clicked the "Start" link at left of service list & got a message tgat said
"could not start print spooler service on local computer error 1068 The dependency service or group failed to start."
Printer is still not working can anyone help?

A:Could not start print spooler service on local computer error 1068

On Win/7 the dependencies are

HTTP

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
DCOM Server Process Launcher
RPC Endpoint Mapper
Manually start each on and set to AUTOSTART as you go.
If one fails, then that is the root problem.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/could-not-start-print-spooler-service-on-local-computer-error-1068.206839/
Relevancy 21.07%

I bought a ADSL Modem D-Link 2730U

We are connecting to the Modem via Laptop, PC, Phone,... at the same time.

I want to know how can I monitor network(Receive/Send) for each user who connected to the Modem.

Can I do such thing?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/monitoring-network-for-each-user-connected-to-adsl-router-modem.206910/
Relevancy 26.66%

So I realize that this is my computer telling me that it is not getting a connection to the internet So here is a basic diagram of my setup ISP---- gt Cable Modem----- gt New Splitter---------- gt Asus wifi router working --------- gt Desktop IP also connected to wifi My ISP is Charter Com via a Cable Modem From there I go into a TRENDnet ethernet switch splitter From there I have cable that goes to my desktop one cable to goes Area Local Connection 169.254.xxx.xxx to the upper floor to the wifi router Asus RT-N U The router is working fine and I am currently connected to it I have replaced the TRENDnet Switch every ethernet cable except to Asus wifi router This is where it gets stupid I can disconnect the TRENDnet switch and plug in my Desktop with the IP and it works I have researched this topic via forums for the past month and a half and now after fresh installing windows would like to try and get some input of what other might think is going on I am out of options I Local Area Connection 169.254.xxx.xxx had this setup for quite some time with wired and wifi Local Area Connection 169.254.xxx.xxx but just all of a sudden about - months ago after moving my desk and plugging it all in again it stopped working Here is a text format of Ipconfig of my LAC Configuration for interface quot Local Area Connection quot DHCP enabled Yes IP Address xxx xxx Subnet Prefix xx mask InterfaceMetric DNS servers configured through DHCP None Register with which suffix Primary only WINS servers configured through DHCP None As I said I am now running a fresh install of windows with no Bonjour program on it I have released renewed and about other CMD commands that I could think of The internet options for this adapter are set to obtain automatically I have ran about every malware program I can think of So any help would be greatly appreciated nbsp

A:Local Area Connection 169.254.xxx.xxx

Hmm why the splitter BEFORE the router - - that's not the correct way to add a second router

Code:
isp==primary router --- existing PC
to add a second router:

Code:
isp==primary router --- existing PC
|
+--- new router

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection-169-254-xxx-xxx.203909/
Relevancy 21.5%

I have joined a computer (PC1) to a domain control server (2008), and user able to login using their domain user account - although recently I have found out that even though the computer (PC1) do not connect to a server, user still able to access using their domain account.
Is there a way for me to restrict domain account user from accessing the computer (PC1) if they are disconnected from server?
Hope my explanation make sense to you guyz.

Thank in advance

A:Prevening domain user from accessing Computer

Lots to be considered. Joining a domain is intended to give the company admin configuration control of all the company users.
This is normal, expected and even proper for the company to do this.

restrict domain account userClick to expand...

hmm; only the company admin should be able to do this and almost always it is done using some scripts, NOT by loggin into your PC. So - - who is accessing your PC remotely, the admin - - how do you know this occurs?

PCs joined to a domain usually get a replacement for PC Login - - the network form and that creates a link to the domain controller.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/prevening-domain-user-from-accessing-computer.204127/
Relevancy 24.08%

I have a kenwood kdc-x798 and 2 12'' inch kickers powered by a kicker zx750.1

the rca ports on the deck read from top to bottom
sw
front
rear

and on the amp it only has input and output rca ports

my subs only work on the front rca port on the deck
and on this port I cant control my sw gain (-15 to +15)
and I cant turn them off on the deck neither even though there is
the option to. I can change sub output with the bass control though

on the sw rca port the subs just don't work even though all the settings are set
to have them on and working (that I know of)

please help, I like subs but not all the time

A:Can't control my subwoofers through my deck

Car http://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/excelon/kdc-x798/ or home?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-control-my-subwoofers-through-my-deck.203644/
Relevancy 21.93%

I finally found out why my wireless keyboard didn't work as I mentioned in another thread several months back.
Evidently the USB wifi thingy was in a USB port that didn't work. When I was going thru this thread http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/unknown-device.202706/
I removed it thinking it might be the unknown device.
Anyhow, I've been trying to find the manual for my wireless KB & can't find it.
I'm not sure which number(s) I need. MS PART NO. X820309-001
Serial number or Product ID? Here it is

A:MS Keyboard user manual help

Well, I went here http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/d/wireless-keyboard-3000 & despite the fact its default language is English, the downloads are in any language BUT.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ms-keyboard-user-manual-help.202759/
Relevancy 20.64%

I have networked PCs before many times successfully so this is not my first time trying to network PCs in a home environment Though I m wondering if Windows is part of the problem I would have thought that for sure until one of the name credentials bad password? user with unknown even correct failure: or "Logon new laptops running W would not connect to any of the other three PCs Laptops running W Yet these other three W PCs Laptops CAN connect to this laptop Then it gets a little more "Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password? even with correct credentials interesting this same laptop that couldn t connect to those three W PCs Laptops CAN connect to a Windows desktop and a XP Laptop and those two can also connect back to it without issue It s almost like my network is divided in half and only half can talk to each other But then when I thought it couldn t get any more interesting I realized the first three W PCs Laptops can talk to the others it s just that the others W Laptop W Desktop XP Laptop can t talk back to them without getting the error quot Logon failure unknown user name or bad password even though the username and password are correct I don t fully understand this error because on the surface it s just WRONG My username and password are correct but it appears something somewhere is interfering or hijacking the authentication process Three of the computers laptops are brand new just purchased last week and setup this week The HostPC is also fairly new just purchased last month I am not using a HomeGroup and have removed all computers that were part of a HomeGroup I have enabled file sharing and network discovery and enabled Use user accounts and passwords to connect to other computers on all PCs I have DSL and am using the wireless modem provided by my ISP which has router functionality built into it It is a Sagemcom Model F ST N All computers are connected wirelessly Time is correct on all PCs I cannot use Group Policy since they re all Standard or Home edition DHCP is enabled and all computers are on the same subnet using the x range of ip addresses The six computers are as follows I figured this may make is easier to visualize the layout HostPC HP Desktop W PC Name DrsBlend U N DrsBlend p w not showing my real password PC HP Laptop W PC Name DrsBlend- U N DrsBlend P W PC HP Laptop W PC Name DrsBlend- U N DrsBlend P W PC HP Laptop W PC Name DrsBlend- U N DrsBlend P W PC HP Desktop W SP PC Name DrsBlend- U N DrsBlend P W PC Dell Laptop XP SP PC Name DrsBlend- U N DrsBlend P W Every PC stated above has the same user name and password and is logged-in with the username DrsBlend and the password The quot Logon failure unknown user name or bad password happens when trying to access HostPC PC or PC from PC PC or PC The HostPC can see and connect to all the PCs but only PC and PC can talk back or access the HostPC It s like the HostPC and PC and PC are in their own little clique and can talk back and forth to each other Those three PCs can also talk to PC PC and PC as well but PC PC and PC cannot talk back to them HostPC PC PC Profile corruption I would have entertained that thought but the fact the first three PCs can access and talk to one another kind of defeats that idea and the fact the PCs were just recently setup Firewall Disabled and disabled TrendMicro with no change With them on off the first three PCs can still talk to each other and the rest of the PCs Anyone have any additional suggestions nbsp

A:"Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password” even with correct credentials

I experienced a similar problem when I was trying to network my 8.1 machine the host network. As you say the host PC can see and connect to all of the machines, but not the other way around. Not sure if it is the same in your situation but I found that Microsoft's idea of network sharing on the Windows 8 class of OS differs greatly from previous OS's in that you can connect to it from an external host, but when trying to do the other way around it doesn't "see" the PC in question due to differing network sharing protocols included in the OS.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong, I am speaking only from what happened with my network.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/logon-failure-unknown-user-name-or-bad-password%E2%80%9D-even-with-correct-credentials.201313/
Relevancy 21.5%

I have a Dell Inspiron 2200 still running XP that has an administrator account, as well as a guest account (where the important docs I need are stored). It has a faulty DC jack, and I plan on having it recycled due to the fact the repair would cost more than the computer is worth. If I remove the hard drive and put it in a USB housing, would I be able to access the info stored under the guest account without any problems?

Relevancy 24.08%

Just upgraded form my old EVGA Superclocked GTX 570 to my new Palit GTX 770 Jetstream 4Gb, had to fanny around a lot with my Antec 900 case to get the beast to fit but everything seems fine now, card idles at 30-35c. Underload at around 65c. However the overclocking/temperature control software that came with the card, Thunder Master just does not quite seem up to par with EVGA Precision. Can anyone tell me if I can continue to use EVGA Precision safely and without any adverse effects with this Palit card because I just cant seem to get to grips with this Thunder Master. For some reason it trys to allways achieve 70c.

A:Temperature control software

andy06shake said:

Just upgraded form my old EVGA Superclocked GTX 570 to my new Palit GTX 770 Jetstream 4Gb, had to fanny around a lot with my Antec 900 case to get the beast to fit but everything seems fine now, card idles at 30-35c. Underload at around 65c. However the overclocking/temperature control software that came with the card, Thunder Master just does not quite seem up to par with EVGA Precision. Can anyone tell me if I can continue to use EVGA Precision safely and without any adverse effects with this Palit card because I just cant seem to get to grips with this Thunder Master. For some reason it trys to allways achieve 70c.Click to expand...

My recommendation is to use MSI afterburner for your temperature controlling needs and overclocking. It is non-biased and will work with any video card no matter the type, whether its amd of nvidia, and who made it.

Link here

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/temperature-control-software.199318/
Relevancy 21.93%

I issue An logins with user have a former company PC Earlier I was attempting to remove the company An issue with user logins domain from it so that I didn t have to An issue with user logins log in as the previous user every time just to get to the desktop So I changed the computer name right click my computer properties computer name I then clicked on Network ID and set to this computer is for An issue with user logins home use and then it went wrong I restarted the computer as instructed and tried to log on as the user as before but it is telling me the password is incorrect The username is correct and so is the password It s clear that whatever I did with the Network ID has caused this I have logged on as administrator but need to access the other user due to the saved files on there etc Can someone help me revert back access that user account from admin Is there a way to completely detach the PC from the previous domain so that it is like a normal home PC with no log in Thank You nbsp

A:An issue with user logins

Administrator account has permission to access files from other users. Just go to the C:/Users section or whatever.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/an-issue-with-user-logins.198449/
Relevancy 23.65%

I had to format and re-install Windows XP on a Satellite A105-S4201 Laptop. I installed XP, and updated to SP3. The brightness control no longer works using Fn+F6/F7 (or any other way for that matter). It was working before the format.
I tried a couple of different Common Modules installs. This one: tc00324000b (version 6.07.03) won't even install. Gave me error message, "TVALG Driver installation has failed". And this one: SPA210 TCommon Modules-XP (version 1.00.06) installed, and had me restart, but when I tried to install the hotkey utilities afterward, it said "TOSHIBA Common Module not found! This setup will terminate." Also, I have the latest BIOS version installed (v 6.0)
Any ideas?

A:Fn Brightness Control lost, Toshiba Laptop

Are there any yellow (!) in the device manager?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/fn-brightness-control-lost-toshiba-laptop.197580/
Relevancy 23.65%

Hey everyone,

So I am using Windows 7 and I have been trying to open my Sound options under my Control Panel to no avail.

When I click on the "Sound" text, my Control Panel box slightly fades as if a window is going to open but no such window ever does. 5-10 minutes later, the sound controls will finally pop up. It is experiencing some kind of heavy delay.

I have been told it may be a driver issue but my drivers are relatively new (3-4 weeks old).

Let me know if you guys have any solutions.

Thanks.

A:Sound Control Opening With Heavy Delay

Hmm, could be a bug with the new drivers.

Try un-installing all audio devices and then re-install.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sound-control-opening-with-heavy-delay.195146/
Relevancy 21.5%

I have a Windows 7 computer wired into my home network. It has a printer attached to it that I have set to share. I have a windows 7 laptop and an XP laptop. Both 7 machines can see open the shared drives on the XP machine but when I try to access the shared drives of either 7 machine from any of the other machines I am asked to give a User ID and a password. This is a private Home network. I have no passwords set up on any of the machines. I'm trying to set up the printer on the two laptops and I can't access it without the User ID Password window popping up. Does anyone know what the problem is?

A:Home Network asking for user ID and password

This is all normal operation for print/file sharing. If you really want sharing without using passwords (imo a security risk), then you need to google for "anonymous sharing"

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/home-network-asking-for-user-id-and-password.194484/
Relevancy 26.23%

Have a new Netgear wireless router and can connect to it, but can only get local access only, no internet.
Tried a few things with no luck so far.
The one thing that did work was eliminating the wireless security, but dont want to leave it that way.
Seems like this is a common problem with Vista.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

A:Local Access Only With Wireless Using Windows Vista

Go to the Device Mgr, expand Network Adapters and look for yellow or red flags. It's most likely that the driver is missing or needs to be updated.

If there's any driver at all, then the led lights near the ethernet cable will be on.

Uninstall the existing driver (but do not delete it) and reboot.
The system should find the device and use the autoconfig feature to install the
correct one.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-access-only-with-wireless-using-windows-vista.194148/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hi there I am new to this forum though I have went through a couple of threads regarding VPN but I can t seem to find my answer through printing VPN Local I work in an IT department and have to users which are not on the business domain To make use of a program hosted on our server they connect via VPN to out network and then join a remote desktop Both of them make use of a network printer Now one of them has a PC with Win and the other one with XP When they connect to the VPN though only the user on the Win PC is allowed to print the other user Local printing through VPN s job only goes into the print queue and he has to disconnect from the VPN and then it prints Both user Local printing through VPN s VPN permissions are the same as I asked the network admin and the printer settings should be the same on both PCs as I checked them Help would be greatly appreciated as I have been working on this for a very long time with no avail Thanks nbsp

A:Local printing through VPN

the other user's job only goes into the print queue and he has to disconnect from the VPN and then it prints.Click to expand...

Wow, is that strange or what (but that's why your here too I guess). The fact that it is queued says the data path from the user->system->print queue is just fine - - and that says permissions are ok. I suspect that the users program is not closing the output file. Have the user try a simple test using NOTEPAD printing to the remote printer.

Next I would look for software updates to the XP VPN software and then to XP print driver for that device.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-printing-through-vpn.189640/
Relevancy 22.79%

Hi I had some issues with a HDD around this time last year so I replaced it with a new western digital HDD I wasn t able to back anything up so I cloned it instead turns out I installed the incorrect driver for my video card and suffered from the BSOD syndrome well I finally got that sorted out I think and now I am trying relentlessly to get catalyst pro control center to work properly Ive read numerous places online that involves editing Catalyst work doesn't Center after I driver wrong installed the Control the Assembly folder but I have no such keys in there when I try and run CCC it tells me that I am unable to run as I wouldn t be able to change any settings within the app basically Ive tried uninstalling installing trying ATI opposed to AMD- to Catalyst Control Center doesn't work after I installed the wrong driver no anvil I know for a fact that I had CCC on this pc but it almost seems impossible to get up and running I am very desperate to get this up and running thanx in advance nbsp

A:Catalyst Control Center doesn't work after I installed the wrong driver

Hhhmmmm... let's take a look

List any Problem devices

Make sure devices are connected and powered on
Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post
On the other hand, if no devices are listed, tell me so
Generate and attach a DirectX report

Click Start->Run, enter dxdiag and click OK
===> If you?re running 32 bit Windows, dxdiag will launch on its own
===> If you?re running 64 bit Windows, you?ll see 64-bit DxDiag. Click it to launch the 64-bit version of dxdiag
Notice progress in lower left window corner
When done, click Save Information button and save as a text file to your Desktop
Attach it to your next post by clicking the Upload a File button

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/catalyst-control-center-doesnt-work-after-i-installed-the-wrong-driver.187782/
Relevancy 24.51%

I have an desktop-ASUS M4A785TD-V Evo motherboard w/ 6GB 1600 memory.(Need more info ask) and I have Norton 360 v6 and it's Diagnostic Report tells me that the Power Control [2012/01/16]....Root\Legacy_{1BA31E5A-C098-42D8-8F88-3C9F78A2FDDC}\000 is not present or not working, or doesnt have all of it's drivers. Can someone tell me if this is the power control for the computer case or the power control in system???? And how do I correct the problem? Now what I'm guessing that the effects is when you click to restart or turn off the computer it doesn't turn off right away it takes a long time to shut-down.Sometimes I have to use the button on the case to shut it off to restart it!!!!

A:Power control?

The Windows install is probably partially corrupt after a long time of downloading and browsing activity. Are there any yellow exclamation points in the device manager? I'm not a fan of anything Norton, because Norton can make things worse when computer slowdowns are noticed

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/power-control.187449/
Relevancy 26.23%

My iOmega TB External hard drive stopped working after it was accidentally unplugged I googled the problem amp found the exact thread here for my problem When plugged in instead of being identified by it s name as before it s listed as Local disc F First I tried disabling write caching to no avail so I followed HDD disk shows as it local & F cannot be accessed External the instructions I found here to External HDD shows as local disk F & it cannot be accessed the same problem started by fish in Aug Mark replied several times giving good instructions which I have followed but my problem isn t solved I downloaded Sea Tools for Windows amp ran both Short amp Long tests which both failed The hard drive when dismantled is a Seagate Barracuda TB amp my PC is Windows Vista Home Basic Service Pk The HDD has much loved photo s of my kids amp tons of video amp music too is there any way to retrieve it now or is it a hopeless case Any help would be very much appreciated I think maybe if possible to get any data now I would have to take it to proffessionals but don t want to get ripped off if the drive is totally broken Thanx so much if u can help all nbsp

A:External HDD shows as local disk F & it cannot be accessed

You could try going into disk management and deleting F: drive, while the External HDD is unplugged, then try reconnecting - OS might have just assigned the drive incorrectly?
Also strongly recommend updating to SP2 if possible (probably not connected to this issue though).
Hope this helps.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hdd-shows-as-local-disk-f-it-cannot-be-accessed.186348/
Relevancy 21.5%

I?ve never had to set the BIOS password, but the kids are growing up and I need to lock access to my PC.

My Bios has two Password Options: Supervisor and User.

The Supervisor password was accepted, and before I attempt to change the BIOS settings, the Supervisor password is asked for.

Then I set the user password.

However, when I boot up the PC, I am not asked for any password and windows loads as usual.

What am I missing?

The BIOS is Award Software International, Inc. F4 HI 07/03/2007

A:Unable to set BIOS user password

Do you have the option mentioned below?

Setting a BIOS Password

Now you'll want to set your system to ask for that password every time it boots, so select the BIOS FEATURES SETUP option, to see a menu something like this:

Fairly obviously, it's the Password Check option we're interested in, so select it and change the setting to ALWAYS.

etc....Click to expand...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/unable-to-set-bios-user-password.183774/
Relevancy 27.09%

So I just set up FreeNAS on my LAN. I have a Linksys router.... I believe everything is 10/100 but for some reason its transfering at about 8.61MB/s.

Now before I start posting all my equipment specs, would anyone know right off the bat what my bottleneck is, or give me a clue how to figure this out? I'm apparently not thinking properly enough to figure this out at the moment.

BTW, everything plugged in... so I'm not transfering wirelessly.

A:What's my local NAS bottleneck?

You're transferring at almost 70 mbit - your network is probably your bottleneck. Are you sure there is no additional activity on your network? You should be able to reach between 80-90 if nothing else is going on and the rest of the environment is lean. If everything is working absolutely great I would say you can even reach mid to upper 90's. See if the system sending files has plenty of CPU cycles available by opening your task manager. Also, are you transferring lots of small files or one big file? Larger files will transfer faster than a bunch of tiny ones. At most you can expect a file transfer speed of about 12 MB/sec on a 100 mbit network.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/whats-my-local-nas-bottleneck.180760/
Relevancy 22.79%

Hi everyone, I got a new mobo and cpu yesterday and after installing all the parts I put my old hdd in, after the pc boots I got an error; no hard disk detected. i know the hdd is fine because i put it back in my old build and it booted fine, i know when installing a new mobo you should format which ive been trying to do but when i reach the window where you choose the language theres no mouse or keyboard working, and i know the mouse and keyboard is fine because i used both in the boot menu. my current specs are p8z68-v asus intel i5 2500k nvidia 560ti asus corsair 850watts 8gb ram 500gb hdd ps; sorry for poor grammar and spelling mistakes but was forced to write this on my phone. Also, i looked in my bios and it clearly names both my hdd and blu ray drive.

A:New mobo doesn't detect HDD, no mouse or keyboard control in Windows setup

First, try the basics. Take out the 560 and just install the RAM, CPU, HDD and PSU and see if you can get to BIOS.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-mobo-doesnt-detect-hdd-no-mouse-or-keyboard-control-in-windows-setup.178133/
Relevancy 25.8%

Hey I ve got a Dual Xeon Dell Precision T Workstation running Windows x that I use for graphic design and some music production I have up until last week used a M-Audio Fast Track Pro USB Audio Interface for recording as well as my primary sound card I decided to get rid of the Fast Track and upgrade to an M-Audio Audiophile PCI sound card Here is my issue- With the Fast Track USB Interface I have always network local when performing only PC downloads Static in sound, had a noticeable Static in PC sound, only when performing local network downloads static popping sound when any audio is playing while I am transferring files on my local network- but I have isolated it specifically to copying files from anywhere on my local network to this PC- so only downloading to this computer I didn t pay much attention to it as I thought that was the price that was to be payed because of using a USB sound card After I installed the Audiophile I am still getting this popping sound on network downloads Just to test I pulled out the Audiophile enabled the on-board sound card and the popping was still there with the on-board sound card Any idea what could be causing this My network adapter is the Broadcom on-board Gigabit LAN card The only other PCI or PCI-e cards I have installed are the Nvidia Quadro Video Adapter and a SIIG USB PCI Card I have taken this out and the popping is still there All of PCI bus components were different when I started hearing the popping from the Fast Track Pro so I don t suspect that any of those items would be the culprit When the popping first started nothing was even in the PCI PCI-e bus except for my old Quadro video card which I took out months ago and swapped for the Quadro I guess what I m trying to say is that most of the components have been removed or swapped and the sound continues I have the onboard sound card disabled normally so I know that also isn t causing it To describe the popping static it doesn t make the noise until I m downloading something and there is a system noise playing or I have some other audio going YouTube Video MP played locally whatever So if I was to download a file locally and not play any sounds then you would never know that anything was happening The speakers I m using are KRK Rokit Active Studio Monitors so even if there was any background static I would hear it These monitors are connected to the computer via a Balanced TRS input so I don t even have any normal line quot hum quot at high volumes- so that is how I can tell there is absolutely no static or popping until the PC plays it s own audio Also- I ve tried reproducing the problem by playing audio and downloading a file from the internet It won t produce the popping sound at all Here is my system info Dell Precision T Workstation Windows x Ultimate Service Pack Intel Xeon CPU E GHz amp GHz Processors Intel x Motherboard Intel ICH R Family Controllers I O Hub PCI Express Root Storage GB RAM Nvidia Quadro M-Audio Delta Audiophile Broadcom NetXtreme xx Gigabit Controller That s everything I have hooked up right now- anymore questions and I ll be glad to post what I know I m hoping that this is something common that I just couldn t find in my searches on google Any help advice you could offer I would appreciate it One last thing- I uninstalled and updated all of my system drivers days ago to see if that would stop the problem It didn t change anything Thanks -Ben nbsp

A:Static in PC sound, only when performing local network downloads

Did you uninstall your old sound drivers? Are you using ASIO drivers? Im assuming the M-Audio card already has ASIO built-in? Do you get the pop/static when using the onboard sound? You should stick to XP for music production. Even a dual boot WIN 7/XP setup. Im into music production as well and all of my problems stopped when I ran everything on XP. You can try using virtual XP on Win 7 and see if it helps anything. What DAW are you using?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/static-in-pc-sound-only-when-performing-local-network-downloads.175964/
Relevancy 26.66%

I just upgraded to Win7. In this PC I have 2 HDD, one C drive which works fin, and one additional HDD which I'm able to see in BIOS and Device Manager, but it do not show up in Explorer.
How to get it visible?
Thanks

A:Can't find local installed HDD

Right click my computer > manage, click disk management take a screenshot, post here.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-find-local-installed-hdd.176151/
Relevancy 21.5%

Hey guys every time i restart my laptop it wipes all the user profiles, leaves one and wipes all the custom settings on that profile. I have no idea and any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks again

A:User profiles deleted on start up

This might be caused by a virus or other malware infection, a corrupt hard drive or Windows itself is corrupt... Can you do a destructive laptop restore? This is a way that the laptop is put back just like it was when you turned it on when you first bought it

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/user-profiles-deleted-on-start-up.175534/
Relevancy 24.08%

I have just bought a Acer laptop. The model, as it says on my laptop, Aspire 4752-6838.

The problem is that my fn hotkeys do not work for raising and lowering the volume or muting or playing. That would be fn + up, fn + down, and fn + f8, respectively.

Interestingly enough, my fn hotkeys work for other functions like num lock, brightness. Im not sure about my other fn keys working, but i dont have a need for them, so i dont care. However i really want to use my fn hotkeys for volume control.

Is there any way to enable this? Or does any one know where this problem arises and a solution?

BTW i read the manual and it doesn't help me with my problem. I also tried searching google and found no help either. If anyone knows where else i can look, that would help too.

A:My fn hotkeys do not work for volume control

Take it back to where you bought it and have them take a look. It could be a faulty keyboard. What version of Windows are you running? Have you run Windows update till no more updates are found?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-fn-hotkeys-do-not-work-for-volume-control.175048/
Relevancy 25.8%

Hey guys My internet provider has just recently been switched to Time Warner Cable They came by and hooked everything up to my desktop and my internet worked for that day The next day I had to call technical support and road runner services because my computer says I m connected but I m not sending nor receiving area Missing network connection and local controller any packets Road Runner took me through Device Manager where I noticed a big yellow question mark near Other Devices Network Controller Also after going through my Network Connections there s no Local Area Connection listed The techs responded that they couldn t help me unless I fixed my computer software I have already tried going through Computer Management and checking Plug And Play Services amp RPC Missing network controller and local area connection Services Any other suggestions are much appreciated I m currently working off of my laptop because I can t get online with my desktop Any requested information would just Missing network controller and local area connection be done by my usb flash Missing network controller and local area connection drive Thank you so much for your time nbsp

A:Missing network controller and local area connection

Open device manager. Uninstall those device with ? on them. Reinstall drivers for your network adapter.

What devices are listed under network adapter?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/missing-network-controller-and-local-area-connection.174762/
Relevancy 33.97%

I once ran across a simple UI item that allowed me to change LOCAL CONNECTION 2 to LOCAL CONNECTION.

RESOLVED. Open Network and Sharing Center. Click on the icon for the active connection. Change THAT name.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/change-local-net-2-to-local-net.172565/
Relevancy 22.36%

Hello everybody, I have a home network with about 3 computer connected. I am using a laptop and when ever I use the net view command in cmd, I can only view my laptop. Why can't I see the other 2 computer?

All the computer have Win. 7 Home Premium Installed. Is there a way to send messages to those computers within the network, without the use of 3rd party applications... Perhaps by cmd?

I know you can, but I am unsure how.

A:Net view/net user

examples

Code:
C:\Documents and Settings\Jeff>net view $SYSTEM_NAME
Shared resources at $SYSTEM_NAME
[B]lt-beard[/B]

Share name Type Used as Comment
--------------------------------------------------------
Italy-1 Disk
Italy-2 Disk
RealEstate Disk
SharedDocs Disk
The command completed successfully.

C:\Documents and Settings\Jeff>net view emac
Shared resources at emac

Mac OS X

Share name Type Used as Comment
--------------------------------------------------------
homes Disk User Home Directories
i860 Print Canon i860
jeff Disk User Home Directories
MP470 series Print Canon MP470 series
It should be clear that NET VIEW SYSTEM is dependent upon getting Print/File Sharing working correctly.

Code:
C:\Documents and Settings\Jeff>[B]net user jeff[/B]
User name Jeff
Full Name Jeff
Comment primary user(LUA)
User's comment
Country code 000 (System Default)
Account active Yes
Account expires Never

blah blah ...

Workstations allowed All
Logon script
User profile
Home directory
Last logon 9/2/2011 10:55 AM

Logon hours allowed All

Local Group Memberships *Users
Global Group memberships *None

Would appear to be Policy settings for the user

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/net-view-net-user.170621/
Relevancy 21.07%

My m-in-l s computer crashed so I brought it message ATI everyone! Control to Panel Error Hello "The initialize..." failed to my house to reinstall everything for her I am almost to the point of setting it back up at her house but I am still having a couple of problems Hello everyone! Error message "The ATI Control Panel failed to initialize..." I ve searched and searched for all three but nothing has worked yet so I thought I Hello everyone! Error message "The ATI Control Panel failed to initialize..." would post on here I noticed a yellow circle with a quot quot in the middle of the yellow circle under device manager of her Display adapters Video Controller VGA Compatible quot In the system tray it says quot Found New Hardware ATI Radeon Xpress Series quot So I went to Gateway website to get the specific drivers for my M-in-law s GT e Os XP and their was a chip driver for the ATI Radeon Xpress Series so I downloaded it amp extracted the files into Cabs like the instructions said to and now I am getting the error message quot Severe - Setup was unable Hello everyone! Error message "The ATI Control Panel failed to initialize..." to complete the installation Try to set up your display adapter with a standard VGA driver before running setup quot So I closed that window and a new window popped up saying quot The ATI Control Panel failed to initialize because no ATI driver is installed or ATI driver is not working properly The ATI Control Panel will now exit quot Any suggestions would be appreciated to how amp where do I fix this nbsp

A:Hello everyone! Error message "The ATI Control Panel failed to initialize..."

Hello and welcome to TechSpot.

The subforum you posted in is for new member introductions only, so I have moved your thread to the relevant forum so others can best assist you.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hello-everyone-error-message-the-ati-control-panel-failed-to-initialize.170409/
Relevancy 24.08%

i reinstalled windows earlier today, and after installing realtek drivers, the jacks are not visible...they work fine and all, but onyl 2 of them show, there should b three at the back and 2 at the front....ive tried 3 different versions of the drivers, 2 directly from realtek and one from Intel ( i have an intel motherboard)...
tell me how to fix this.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/realtek-control-panel.170398/
Relevancy 24.94%

Alright I have a whole bunch of my music and videos on my external hard drive and I got a new Dell XPS yesterday I had been using my external hard drive just fine for the past - yeas now with different laptops working fine I plugged it yesterday to transfer all my music to my new computer and it seemed to be working fine There was an error as the copy rate External Local -- won't open Disk as only working, shows drive hard stopped up slowwed so I decided to delete and try again I did that about times and then decided to just copy the music album by album Eventually I don External hard drive stopped working, only shows up as Local Disk -- won't open t know how it ended up happening instead of the Hard Drive coming up as Seagate on the My Computer Tab it started showing up as Local Disk J on my Dell and Local Disk E on my laptop now It doesn t matter where I plug it in Not only that it won t open when I try to open it It will get loaded and then just pause and stop responding I m completely lost My hard drive is Seagate GB nbsp

A:External hard drive stopped working, only shows up as Local Disk -- won't open

Hi, first I would run the Seagate diagnostics to check the hard drive is still healthy following this guide.

Identify the make of your hard drive and then use one of the links below to get the manufacturers diagnostic for ISO CD. Burn the image file to a CD, boot the PC with the disc in the drive and run the diagnostics. You first need to set the CD drive to 1st in the boot order in the Bios setup.

If you do not have an image burner use this free software to make the CD.

http://www.isoimageburner.com/

ExcelStor: http://www.excelstor.com/eng/support.php?sub_id=3

Hitachi/IBM: http://www.hitachigst.com/support/downloads/

Samsung: http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/support/downloads/support_in_es.html

Seagate, Maxtor & Quantum:http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads

Western Digital:http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?lang=en

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Toshiba Fujitsu: http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=SoftwareUtilities#diagnostic

If you have a Toshiba hard drive I would suggest the use of the diagnostics from the Seagate link as this will work on all makes of drive and on any OS.Click to expand...

It sounds likely that the circuitry in the drive enclosure is failing (or the drive), if the test won't run then remove the drive from the enclosure and purchase a USB Hard Drive adapter, or use the internal connections in a desktop PC to connect the drive. This should allow you to run the test and/or extract all the files.

If the test runs ok with the drive connected to another PC internally, or with a USB adapter then you will know for sure that it is the enclosure that has failed.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-stopped-working-only-shows-up-as-local-disk-wont-open.169973/
Relevancy 21.07%

Okay here is the story My laptop has a ton of valuable information on it recently my Norton protection ran out and was unable to renew it Well somebody hacked my system and now I have a ton of viruses trojans and malware So I was still able to use my Copy to drive external profile user entire hard PC for internet usage and my music still played in Windows Media Player So all in all my laptop still worked Now today I go to turn on my laptop and it will not boot up at all I can t even system restore or repair it with windows repair However I do need to back up my files and since my hard drive is what is wrong in the first place I think it might be better instead of copying the entire hard drive to my terabyte external hard drive if it would make more sense just to copy my entire user profile onto my external I am wondering if this is possible i have heard of LiveCD s and Parted Magic from this forum But I am wondering if I can just back up all of my files that way If I can back up all of my files like that I might save money instead of taking to a repairman and just fix it myself So is it possible to copy and back-up the entire user profile of a laptop that will not boot up to an external hard drive Basically I want to copy the entire contents of my User Profile on Vista onto an external drive so I can use my reboot CD to reboot my laptop without losing any of my files and folders or Copy entire user profile to external hard drive anything for that Copy entire user profile to external hard drive matter I figure the best way to do that would be to copy the user profile so all the contents of that profile would go onto my external Then I reboot my computer and put Copy entire user profile to external hard drive the User Profile back on Simple nbsp

A:Copy entire user profile to external hard drive

Have you tried a repair install? If that is possible that will leave your files intact.. It is a good idea to back on a regular basis anyway.

The other possibility is connecting your hard drive as a slave drive on another pc.

If the repair install is not possible there are a number of ways using boot cd's to access your data.

Here is one solution that is free and should do what you want
http://www.paragon-software.com/home/rk-express/

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/copy-entire-user-profile-to-external-hard-drive.169549/
Relevancy 25.8%

I'm missing the "local area connection" for a Dell Inspiron 1300 laptop. Hence, I cannot seem to connect to the net.

Anybody got any solutions?

Thanks in advance.

A:Local area connection missing, Dell Inspiron 1300

Is your wireless working? Go under your BIOS and see if the WiFi is enabled or functioning. Download any BIOS updates, WiFi drivers update an etc.. If all is done and you still have the issue. Buy USB WiFi NIC Dongle and test that and see if you can get LAN or WAN connection.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection-missing-dell-inspiron-1300.168709/
Relevancy 23.65%

hi,my default monitor on my laptop has been turned off in the control panel/...the secondary monitior isnt enabled either,so i cant get into it turn it back..so im left with a blank screen and i dont know what to do...my laptop is a dell latitude d610,running on xp...thanks ...jim

A:Default monitor has been turned off in control panel on laptop

A little confusion on my part here! Are you talking about (two) external monitors being hooked up to one lap top computer? Or are you referring to the (default) monitor, being it's own built in screen being the (default) which wont work? And if the built in LCD screen won't work, are we talking about you hooking up an external monitor, which will not work as well? And something about you shutting down your computer ability to show itself on a monitor that may have some how been turned off, probably through your XP's (control panel) under (display)!

This was just me thinking of these question "out loud", maybe if we could have a little bit more insight to your problem, we could advise on how to fix it!

Keep us in the loop...............

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/default-monitor-has-been-turned-off-in-control-panel-on-laptop.164973/
Relevancy 21.93%

Hello,

I have a lynksis wrt400n wireless router. I noticed today that there is a user named 'scotty-PC' in my network.

I do have it password protected.

I'm thinking the easiest way would be to shut off the wireless if that is possible. My wife and I are both hardwired into the router anyways.

How do I go about shutting off the wireless signal from the router?

Thank you in advance!

A:Need help with unknown user in my network

use your browser to reconfig the router - - use the IP address 193.168.1.1 as a URL
login: leave user name empty, password is admin
(obviously this needs to be changed too - - read on)

the Users Guide is here

Option one would be to DISABLE the radio - - read thru to find that

Option two would be to use WiFi Mac Filtering; -- pg 14
This option will allows ONLY defined systems access, so set a dummy, like the MAC
address of your wired NIC

Before you quit, DISABLE remote management on port 8080
and CHANGE that admin password

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-help-with-unknown-user-in-my-network.164009/
Relevancy 21.07%

Here is what I get when I type ipconfig all Host Name Tanya Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Broadcast IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List gateway wire net Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix gateway wire net Description Realtek on Local connection Windows wireless says internet internet My Vista Only connection RTL B Wireless b g Mbp s USB Network Adapter Physical Address - -D -A -FF- A DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe a ed a d Preferred Autoconfiguration IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Default Gateway DNS Servers My internet connection says Local Only on Windows Vista wireless internet connection fec ffff fec ffff fec ffff NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Ethernet adapter Local Area My internet connection says Local Only on Windows Vista wireless internet connection Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller Physical Address - E- -CE-BB-D DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap C E B - EA - D - F B- F B F br DA Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - E- DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix gateway wire net Description isatap gateway wire net Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes nbsp

A:My internet connection says Local Only on Windows Vista wireless internet connection

Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.255.53.64(Preferred)Click to expand...

this occures when there is no response to the DHCP request.

First, disable the WiFi, cable a connection to the router and retry; what's the result?

While connected to the router, config it for the:
router address and DHCP range
wifi SSID, Channel
set a new admin password and save the settings.

Disable the wired interface, enable the WiFi and retry the WiFi connection

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-internet-connection-says-local-only-on-windows-vista-wireless-internet-connection.161510/
Relevancy 21.5%

I ll try to shorten this some I was having some problems that I determined were either caused by the hard drive corrupted WinXP Media Version or my RAM I ran MEM Test user paste Can't switch copy can't and and it failed so I replaced the RAM with one G Can't switch user can't copy and paste stick That solved several issues I still had an issue with switching users I had the computer set up for users with myself as the admin My partition is that what it s called works just fine but if I log into one of the other three it will not allow shutdown restart log off or change user It forces me to do a hard shutdown I decided that my OS may be corrupted so I took the opportunity to install a bigger faster HD and installed WinXP Pro The problem did not go away This doesn t make sense to me What else could cause this I also have a new problem Sometimes the copy and paste feature will just quit working It seems to copy but then the Paste will not quot light up quot when I right click in the program I want to use Could this be driver related nbsp

A:Can't switch user can't copy and paste

It's possible that the group policy is keeping the regular users from doing things like log off, or shutdown. You may want to check what the settings are or put all those users into a single group and give them the proper permissions to do whatever you want.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-switch-user-cant-copy-and-paste.159642/
Relevancy 25.8%

Hi guys, i have recently received a message telling me that a network cable is unplugged. Usually i have this problem with local area connection 2, but it always resolves itself while this one does not. I have tried unplugging my dlink and plugging it back in. please give me any suggestions! Sorry if this sounds dumb to you, much appreciated!

A:Local Area Connection [A network cable is unplugged]

Are using a laptop or desktop, if your on a laptop will say that because your not plugged in the LAN on your laptop which you do not need if it is wireless, but if it is your desktop and you are connect to your router it could be that the NIC card is at fault go into device manager to see if there is any problems with NIC card.

1.Also check your network cables make sure they are in secure.

2. Make sure your network adapter is up to date and working.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection-a-network-cable-is-unplugged.159744/
Relevancy 24.08%

i have a dell 1525
win 7 ultimate
when replacing the touch pad i noticed it has a ir receiver
so i bought a remote
really cool but only does basic functions after i click on media center
cant figure out what driver to use
gotta be a way
and of course dell wont talk to you without giving up you first born lol
there has gotta be a way anyone smarter than me have any ideas
or can maybe explain why only works after i click on media center/
thanks as usual

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-remote-control.159386/
Relevancy 26.66%

Let me tell you a bit about my set-up. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate and my internet connection is via a Bt homehub.
My problem is every time I start up my PC I don't have internet connection.
The only way to get it is to go to local area connection and disable it, then go back in and enable it and then I have internet access.
I have taken screen shoots of whats happening.
Not sure if the file has uploaded so sorry if you don't see it. New to this site so having to get used to it.

Alan

Can any one see the word file I attached as I can't.

Alan

A:Local Area Connection

Assuming that's a wired and not wifi connection.

Before you boot, disconnect from the BT and let the system present the desktop, then
connection to the BT, wait 30sec and you should have a connection.

Your Firewall should be left active

Like to see the View Connections, but copy the text from this and past into your follow-up:
start->Run->enter IPCONFIG /ALL

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection.156433/
Relevancy 24.51%

i have a dell 2650 and i had to enter safe mode to disable my audio control
82801ca/cam/ac'97 audio control because it freezes my computer if i enable
it not sure how to fix this problem i run xp professional also reinstalled and sound worked after installation but froze on restart any advice thanks.

A:Audio control

When you first turn on your pc you should see something like push Delete to enter setup or BIOS. do that and search to disable the onboard sounds card. If you want to buy a new sound card look at this Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme $49

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/audio-control.156008/
Relevancy 24.08%

Last year I bought a Creative SB see my specs to replace my on my I sound don't have control card of board card I am constantly having problems For example I run the following games Call Of Duty UA IL Red Orchestra I also use TeamSpeak I was using a Razer headset but cord got yanked and the mic quit working Now I m using a cheap USB headset When I don't have control of my sound card I switched I couldn t get the headset to work I tried everything Then suddenly it started working I m not even sure what I did The problem was I no longer had sound through my speakers only the headset Then after several months suddenly the headset went dead I spent an hour trying to figure out why Again I have no clue what I did but it started working again This time I had Teamspeak on the headset and all game and browser sounds from the speakers Tonight it happened again Now I have game sounds in the headset and teamspeak on the speakers What the heck is going on here and is there a way to straighten it out Also if there is a better way to write this post please explain I d like to learn for future reference nbsp

A:I don't have control of my sound card

Hi Hurriken,

firstly great choice of game IL2

When you bought the cheaper headset was there software that came with it? ther maybe some default settings that are causing changes to the sound to be made. Also stupid question i know but i have done this myself - have you got all the leads in the right place i.e speakers in green jack + mic in pink jack?

You could also try updating your SB drivers just in case but doubt the issues is there. It may alos be worth spending a couple of mins checking the Sound config settings on the SB Card software making sure that your headset is setup correctly there

Hope this helps
James

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-dont-have-control-of-my-sound-card.155584/
Relevancy 23.65%

Hi, just wondering if anyone can tell me in the Nvidia Cotrol Panel how can can i make Nvidia's settings stick after restarting my laptop?

The color is always set to "other applications control color settings". What and where are those settings as well?

Maybe i can fix my color problems using the "other applications" thing but where is that?

I'm currently using windows vista and a GeForce 9650m GT on an asus laptop.

Thanks.

A:Nvidia Control Panel won't save settings after reboot

See the Guide here:
http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/190.62/190.62_NVIDIA_Control_Panel_Quick_Start_Guide.pdf

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/nvidia-control-panel-wont-save-settings-after-reboot.154943/
Relevancy 19.78%

Running XP on 2 computers. Have them connected by a router. I set the router IP to 192.168.3.1 Everything connects great! When I connect to a wireless network, it all connects, but doesn't work ("connection timed out" or "Page not found" errors. The wire connection shows an IP of 192.168.2.1. If I disable my Local Area Network, the internet connects perfectly. I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY I CAN USE MY LOCAL AREA NETWORK AND THE WIRELESS CONNECTION AT THE SAME TIME! Frustrating to the max! Any network specialists out there who can tell me how to fix this? Thanks!!!

A:Conflict between "Wireless Network Connection" & "Local Area Connection"

berkeleygh said:

Running XP on 2 computers. Have them connected by a router. I set the router IP to 192.168.3.1 Everything connects great! When I connect to a wireless network, it all connects, but doesn't work ("connection timed out" or "Page not found" errors. The wire connection shows an IP of 192.168.2.1.Click to expand...

You should know that x.x.2.1 is incorrect. For the router address shown, all devices that connect to it *must* be 192.168.3.x where x > 1 and < 255.

I would suspect that you have some static configuration data in the devices.

You want your router to offer DHCP in the range 2->32 (that's more than enough) and
you want all systems to use DHCP for the IP address and DNS settings.

Remove anything in the Alternative Configurations

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/conflict-between-wireless-network-connection-local-area-connection.154215/
Relevancy 26.66%

hey

the last 5-6 days the network connection sometimes doesn't connecting to Internet.
usually appears after power the pc on. and happened while been connected.

Network- and sharing center
computer ------------ local network --------X------ Internet

sometimes it helps just pull out the cable then plug it in, other is, turn off and on the router, or deactivate and activate the network card.

also tried update driver, but that seemed to mess it more up so i went to device-manager and unistalled the driver, install it again from the cd to the mobo.

the other pc in the house is a laptop using the wireless with no problems.

my sys specs on button +
network card
Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller, driver version. 7.5.730.2009

router
Inteno X5668b

thanks

A:Unstable local network connection

Do you have the latest driver from Realtek TW. Also note sometimes these adapters go DUFF! Are the lights on the back of the card lite or flashing?

Go into safe mode and remove the driver. Even shutdown the system and pull out the card. If it's onboard NIC, then disable it and get a PCI or PCI-E if you have the shorter PCI-E slot. They can go bad. Since you have ruled out your router isn't the issue and you can use yoru wireless laptop. Then the NIC is the issue.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/unstable-local-network-connection.152991/
Relevancy 21.5%

Explanation:

Ok so I work in a small office and I have a networked printer that takes user numbers for passwords to print. This way we can keep track of print jobs and charge the employees accordingly. This user # is setup thru printer preferences. Normally only one user # is required for each computer as each employee has their own computer. Well there are two open computers at my office that anyone can use, these two have their own user #'s.

Question:

What i'd like to do is set it up so these open computers prompt for a user number before being able to print instead of having a user # saved under the preferences. Is this possible?

Relevant information:

Computers - Windows Xp Pro sp3
Server - Windows server 2003
Printer - Sharp Mx-6200N

Thank for any help regarding this situation.

A:Prompting for user # on a network printer

hmm; this is a commercial Charge Back process. Home users would hardly ever need or want
something like this.
I would think you would find such options in the software you are using to capture the user#,
likely on your Domain Controller ...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/prompting-for-user-on-a-network-printer.150482/
Relevancy 22.79%

I have my internet connection saying it is connected but whenever I go onto firefox it tells me it couldnt connect.

ipconfig tells me it encountered an error, repairing connection tells me it can't get into tcp/ip settings. I have tried resetting winsock.

I'm currently not at my computer and I'm being forced to rush, so if you need more specific error messages just tell me and I will post with my phone.

A:Local Area Connection "Connected", no net

Post ipconfig /all
You may be connected to your LAN, but not the internet.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection-connected-no-net.149476/
Relevancy 26.66%

I have Vodafone Prepay Broadband so I do not have to plug in any cables. However, recently my internet will not connect properly. The Vodem connects properly but I do not get fully connected as the two pcs with a globe do not appear on my toolbar and no pages will load. When I "Diagnose and Repair" is when I get the message telling me that Local Area Connection 2 is unplugged. I do not understand this as I should not have to plug in anything but the Vodem.

A:Local area connection 2 unplugged

is it the vodem stick that plugs into the usb port? and please mention your operating system

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection-2-unplugged.147533/
Relevancy 24.51%

Good Mornin'- I decided to try on trial the Ashampoo HDD Control to check my relatively new 160GB Hardrive. I was dismayed at the results!...According to this program, my HD's health and performance are poor and it said the the problems were either mechanical or electrical. My machine is a Compaq Presario SR1426NX circa 2004-5 w/ OEM PS. I've been suspicious of the PS for awhile, so I bought a new Corsair VX450W, but have yet to install it. Can anyone please offer some insight into my dilemna? I thank you in advance!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ashampoo-hdd-control.146784/
Relevancy 26.23%

Hi guys,

noob here hope someone can help me..

i physically took out my hard drive from my desktop computer and connected it to a HDD dock to transfer data to my laptop.

when i put the hard drive back inside my desktop computer, C:\ and D:\ appears as a folder instead and cannot open when i double click. i have to right click and click open for it to work.

so i did a format on D:\ because there's no data in it originally and now it's back to the original D:\ hard disk icon and works fine when i double click it. but i have alot of valuable info in C:\ that's too large to transfer anywhere else to format.

does anyone know a way to restore the C:\ icon back to the original hard drive icon and double click works without wiping out the data?

A:Local disk drive C:\ appearing as a folder!

read this post there may

read this post there may be some similar problems / fixes for you.....don't forget to use the Micro soft USB disconnect tool before unplugging any devices
http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic60377.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-disk-drive-c-appearing-as-a-folder.143381/
Relevancy 21.5%

What software to use, user friendly. Take *.avi movie covert and burn it so it will play on a dvd with a splash screen (menu) title to play movie and title(2) to include a small video clip of myself including a a message.

Was trying to use DeVeDe but I am having trouble with title 2 being authoritative with my video and both titles go straight to the movie. DeveDe is for Ubuntu but let me know of software for ubuntu or windows xp

A:User friendly video to dvd with menu

Rather use a windows xp app anyways and I am sure, much more. ubuntu machine not as powerful for decoding videos, or this devede program, audio came out of sync and still had the title allocation issue. I really want to get my video message in the dvd menu.

thanks !

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/user-friendly-video-to-dvd-with-menu.143608/
Relevancy 21.5%

Hi all,

Well the message was not clear, but here is the problem I am having.

I own a Acer Aspire 5920G and I accidentally spilled water onto it, was not a lot and thankfully my laptop lived. However, there is only one slight problem. My Keyboard is malfunctioning, as it is typing random stuff and doing random things. Not like a backdoor. It goes like "eeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwxxxxxffffggggghhhhh" it somtimes backspaces and does random inputs. I don't know what's going on and I hope someone here can help me solve this problem.

*Note I think it's a problem within the computer because the keys are not sticky and I can still type but not with all the kets.*

A:Help! Keyboard Inputting into Laptop without User!

Hi

laptop keyboards are delicate at the best of times, any liquid spilt into it will dry and cause this issue,

you can use an external keyboard and see if it does this, you will have to remove the keyboard from the laptop, this is usually done by removing some screws and then undoing the ribbon connector from the board, or by unclipping the keyboard from the housing and disconnecting the ribbon cable.

keyboard go for about 15 on ebay dependant on who is selling it, dont try and repair it you will be wasting your time.

regards

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-keyboard-inputting-into-laptop-without-user.142568/
Relevancy 21.5%

Hi all,

Well the message was not clear, but here is the problem I am having.

I own a Acer Aspire 5920G and I accidentally spilled water onto it, was not a lot and thankfully my laptop lived. However, there is only one slight problem. My Keyboard is malfunctioning, as it is typing random stuff and doing random things. Not like a backdoor. It goes like "eeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwxxxxxffffggggghhhhh" it somtimes backspaces and does random inputs. I don't know what's going on and I hope someone here can help me solve this problem.

*Note I think it's a problem within the computer because the keys are not sticky and I can still type but not with all the kets.*

A:Help! Keyboard Inputting into Laptop without User!

Probably your notebook's keyboard shorted out when you spilled water on it.

I would advise you to leave your notebook alone for few days to dry out completely and see if the shorting sorts itself out. Otherwise, you may end up having to replace the keyboard; for which you'll be better off consulting an technician.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-keyboard-inputting-into-laptop-without-user.142569/
Relevancy 23.65%

I can't explain why but suddenly none of sound drivers including the Windows defaults are showing in the Control Panel for sounds or audio. I've reinstalled the driver for my Delta 44 card three times, ran repair on XP Pro twice and still no show or sound. All drivers are listed as working in Device Manager. I see on the internet that this is not uncommon, but how do you fix it?

Saba Raba

A:Sound drivers not showing in XP Control Panel

Hmmmm.. Are you saying the default Sounds and Audio is also missing from Control Panel???? Is your sound otherwise working OK? It's just the stuff missing from Control Panel???

I don't know i have an answer.. but here's some info/things to try
> Note the "drivers" are what you see in Device Manager (so good they're still there!)
> The stuff in Control Panel aren't the drivers.

To try restoring the Control Panel applets try
> Look in Add/Remove programs. Do you see an entry for your Delta 44? Uninstall it
> Reboot and then try reinstalling the Delta44 stuff

Also, you should also be able to start the standard Windows Sound and Audio applet by Start->Run, enter: mmsys.cpl then click OK

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sound-drivers-not-showing-in-xp-control-panel.142130/
Relevancy 24.08%

I installed Gygabtyes HD Radeon 4650 1 gig AGP 8x card. I installed the drivers from the disc and the CCC also. However, I can't seem to get the CCC application to open. Any suggestions?

A:Catalyst Control Center

What have you tried? Can you be a little bit more specific? There are a lot of ways to open a program.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/catalyst-control-center.141489/
Relevancy 26.66%

Hi, I have a fujitsu laptop,,,,which I used to use which my modern via local arena connection,,,but 1 day my friend did something to it and now when I connect the jak the pc does not connect?????now I can't see local area network on my network places,,What happens how can I get it back to work. Br gsmnikki

A:Local area connection help

If you can't see the LAN connection listed under Network Connections, your friend probably uninstalled the driver.

1) Open Device Manager. Do you see the network adapter? Rt click and uninstall
2) Now go to the support site for your computer (e.g. Dell, HP, ASUS, etc) download the network driver and reinstall it

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection-help.139474/
Relevancy 23.22%

I don t have any clue what would cause this or what did cause it I have the Logitech ClearChat Wireless headset It has an on off switch a mute button for the built-in mic and up down volume controls Well something s happened with Logitech buttons on headset wireless control Volume malfunctioning the volume controls now when I click them and a program window is open it closes it Eithe up or down it appears to be acting as an ALT F macro button Volume control buttons malfunctioning on Logitech wireless headset I would have posted this on the logitech forums but I can t sign in even though I m using the right email and password it won t let me This is really frustrating because sometimes I listen to music in the broswer and I use the volume controls on the headset Volume control buttons malfunctioning on Logitech wireless headset and now using them closes the browser window or windows media player whatever window is open and focused gets closed when the buttons get pressed Someone PLEASE help me figure out this problem Thanks in advance EDIT it turns out all the control buttons on my keyboard are malfunctioning also I mean the volume control buttons play pause next previous media item favorite buttons music broswer zoom etc keyboard shortcuts they all try to shut down the computer nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/volume-control-buttons-malfunctioning-on-logitech-wireless-headset.136370/
Relevancy 27.09%

Please help on local networking on local area lan networking
with picture please help me thanks

A:Please help on local networking

What operating systems are running on the computers you are trying to connect?

And, on each computer, are you running Windows firewall or do you have another firewall product installed?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/please-help-on-local-networking.136229/
Relevancy 21.07%

A user has been using her laptop for several years and uses Outlook for her POP3 email.
When we installed a server and joined her laptop to the domain she was unable to see her email without logging out of the server and logging back into her local account.
How do I let her domain profile be the same as her local profile?

A:User loses access to outlook email after being joined to domain

You can't, it's considered as a different user. Just take the settings from Outlook and import them into the other account name.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/user-loses-access-to-outlook-email-after-being-joined-to-domain.134427/
Relevancy 26.66%

I'm plugged into my router (Linksys wrt54g v8) and my connection still says "Limited or no connectivity". I'm running win xp 64 bit sp2. I tried uninstalling my ethernet connection. I've tried winsock xp and it didn't work, I've tried cmd netsh winsock reset. I've tried to repair the connection and it says "Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed: Renewing your IP address" and I've also tried resetting the modem and router. Can anyone help me?

A:Local Area Connection Issues

Was your internet working previous to this problem? If it was, have you changed any settings? Theres a way you can set a static IP, and that would stop your IP from renewing. Also, are there any other computers working on the network?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection-issues.134305/
Relevancy 25.8%

greetings from South Africa,
I am very new to forums and do not know the correct protocol.
So be gentle with me?
I have a KM4AM Motherboard and the drivers etc.
I bought and installed two LG super multi DVD drives.
When connecting it up I noticed that there was a cable connected to the old secondart CD dive and appeared to go to the motherboard??
I do not know if I unplugged it - however I get the title of my thread when I boot up.
It says 'new found hardware' - Parrallel device'

Any suggestions please

A:Local area connection. A network cable is unplugged

The "Parallel" device is the port driver for your LG DVD drives. You have 2 parallel ports on the motherboard. The blue port is for IDE hard drives. The white port is for your IDE (parallel) DVD drives. How are you connecting to the Internet? The "Local area connection. A network cable is unplugged" message indicates that there is no network cable connected to the motherboards network port. Your Cable or DSL modem attaches to this port

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection-a-network-cable-is-unplugged.134325/
Relevancy 23.22%

hi ,
i was trying to fix one of my friends old computer. On that all of a sudden sound stopped working. sound files seems to be playing ,but no output comes through speakers or headphones.
I have done all the basic tests, and evrythng is fine. When i checked in control panel ->sound and audio->voeme tab , device volume ans speaker settings i can't use, it appears like disabled.
Pls note the audio drivers(realtek alc650) are properly installed. I have spent more than a day downloading and reinstalling the drivers and googling to find out the issue. But still in vain. Now i want to try reinstalling XP, but my disks r missing , so i need to give a try in this forum. Pls help.

A:Sound doesn't work (Realtek ac650) and control panel

Look in device manager if the sound device is enabled. If you don't see it, you might need to enable it in bios.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sound-doesnt-work-realtek-ac650-and-control-panel.134096/
Relevancy 21.5%

Ive got an Acer 7250g and it was working fine until today.When i turn it on i get "User profile service failed the logon" i cant sign in or do anything-help please.

A:User profile service failed the logon

Welcome to Techspot
If you haven't already done so, this may be a grat place to start and get the 'feel' of this forum,
http://www.techspot.com/vb/menu31.html
The following link may help solve your login problem,
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/user-profile-service-failed-the-logon.133880/
Relevancy 21.07%

Our school is moving from a Workgroup setup to a Domain (Active Directory.) I'm having a problem though. When I set up new users all of their local settings disappear. So now I'm looking for an easy way to migrate User Profiles from the Local User to the new active directory user. I know microsoft has the Active Directory Migration Tool but is that truly the BEST way to do it?? The guide is like 100000 pages long so I'm not even sure if I want to go that route. Thanks in advance guys.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/migrating-from-workgroup-to-domain-user-profile-migration.131944/
Relevancy 24.08%

Setup MSI -C Mobo Thermaltake Extreme Spirit II with small neoprene rubber washers as balance for contact AMD Phenom II X w stock cooler Diamon help control Need on Northbridge Temp ATI Need help on Northbridge Temp control Radeon Corsair CMX DDR gigs Windows XP SP WesternD HD Thermaltake w PSU Cheapy Apevia computer case w antec mm fans for intake and antec mm exhaust So i ve been researching and people have their Need help on Northbridge Temp control Northbridge temperature at like c- c- degrees on idle and c on full load That s not reality for me though haha My Northbridge goes from c idle to c on full load And thats with the Thermaltake Extreme Spirit II Northbridge cooler installed I made sure that the cooler comes in contact w the thermal paste on the chipset so I can t determine the problem myself I know for sure after I post this thread though i m going to further tighten the cooler just a tad bit to see if that helps I hope you guys can give me some insight on how to lower my Northbridge temperatures I don t know if this is important information but the CPU runs around the same temperature as the NB and sometimes even more to about the c range Please help me guys nbsp

Relevancy 26.66%

I am running a computer using Vista and I just moved it from one room to area fixing network help local Need my another Before moving the computer Need help fixing my local area network I had no problems running both Xbox Live and my internet connection on the computer My connection Need help fixing my local area network is a DSL service through SBC and it runs through a D-Link Router that has slots for ethernet cables as shown below - - - - - There are four immediately next to each other on the left and one set apart slightly farther to the right When I Need help fixing my local area network have my three cables one for the modem one for my xbox and one for my computer in the slots on the left I can connect to the internet through my computer as they are right now but not through my Xbox If I move the cable for my computer over to the slot farthest on the right I can connect to Xbox LIve but I can t connect to the internet through my computer If anybody could provide any sort of solution it would be greatly appreciated EDIT Is there a chance that it could be my ethernet cable While I may have moved the computer from one room to another the only change I really made at all was using a longer ethernet cable for my computer to my router nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-help-fixing-my-local-area-network.130889/
Relevancy 24.08%

Hi Folks!

I am having trouble with my computer. i could not get to move my keyboard, once it gets to BIOS....and when i get to windows, it will freeze at the log in screen...Any idea what is going on here?

A:Gigabyte GA-P35-D3SL - cannot control BIOS

Try clearing the CMOS. Remove the button battery for a minute or two with the computer unplugged. Reinstall the battery and restart the computer

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/gigabyte-ga-p35-d3sl-cannot-control-bios.130282/
Relevancy 23.22%

Hi folks,

I passed from Vista 32 bit to Vista 64 bit but my dual screen options in Nvidia Control panel are missing!
I was using it to expand my gaming screen to two 22 inch LCD Monitors but Vista 64 bit driver has problems about it?
Do you know how can I solve this problem?

My specs

E8400
GTS 250
GA-X48-DS5 Mobo
4GB Ram
1TB Hard Drive
Vista 64 bit

A:Nvidia Control Center Dual Monitor Options Missing?

Pls help my problem

Pls Help to my problem

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/nvidia-control-center-dual-monitor-options-missing.130120/
Relevancy 21.93%

hi all i'm new here so be patient and gentle pls.

my question is can i read a report or log file that will tell me how long users have been logged into my server. i run sbs2003 and have some users on remote access via vpn, does the monitoring on the system allow me to view log in times for each user and how long they are logged in.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/monitoring-user-log-in-times.129887/
Relevancy 21.93%

I previously set up a home network that worked..then all of a sudden it says Local Only...I do diagnostic...New Ip..doesn't work...disconnect modem..doesn't work...reset adapter..doesn't work....
The desktop is connected via Local Area Connection and I installed a Belkin Wireless Adapter(USB)...
My laptop Dell connects to the ad hoc network wirelessly...
They both connect to the network fine..but my laptop can't connect to the network
* I have already set the LAC to share its internet connection
I cant set the wireless one to share on the desktop..but I have the option to on the laptop but I don't think that would work...
I made my LAC public..I think that was the default...and the wireless Private...Please help!

A:Fix my "Local Only" ad hoc connection

public-private are Vista choices -- you need to use PRIVATE. The public choice is
for use at a hotspot where security is extra tight and Print/File Sharing must be inhibited.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/fix-my-local-only-ad-hoc-connection.128228/
Relevancy 24.08%

I have a new Radeon 8500 I installed in a computer Im building to sell. It works great but the fan is ungodly loud. Its louder than the case fan. I tried the fan from another 8500 and its the same. I was wondering if there was a program to adjust the fan speed. There are no mounting hole in this card so I cant replace the fan.

A:Can you control video card fan speed???

Zalman sell a separate fan-speed adjuster for about $ 7-10.-
http://www.zalmanusa.com/usa/product/view.asp?idx=14&code=017

Great if you can interrupt the fan-leads

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-you-control-video-card-fan-speed.14106/
Relevancy 24.08%

Statistics reveal that 90% of 8-16 year olds access sites with adult content on the internet. I wish to prevent my ten year old son from venturing into these forbidden sites. He has been recently initiated into using the internet and we have listed certain sites which he can visit on our PC at home. But I would just like to take some precaution. Is there any help?

A:Control your child’s net activities

90% of 8-16 year olds access sites with adult contentClick to expand...

Thats only teenage boys...:haha:.

You can ask your ISP, I believe some internet service providers do allow tracking and blocking of websites, and certain programs too, just look at school computers these days. You can check your child's browsing history, but you can erase that quite easily. I can't help but think i'm missing something here, I might update this when its not 1:00 in the morning. Of course, it might be a good idea to prevent your child from going to adult sites, like not letting them stay up very early in the morning with their computer.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/control-your-child%E2%80%99s-net-activities.127733/
Relevancy 26.66%

Hello All
My C drive is full is there a way to format it without taking the windows Xp out?
thanks for Help

A:Local disk full

Formatting it, will remove all files and folders, including Windows

Run CCleaner

Go to Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel, and remove any not required programs

Download and run KCleaner http://www.techspot.com/downloads/4755-kcleaner.html
(uncheck RelevantKnowledge during install, pic here: http://i42.tinypic.com/aloy8z.gif)
Fully run (it says start actually )

Restart

Check how much space is now available

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-disk-full.127039/
Relevancy 25.37%

Guys, can you help me out, I got my omnibook to try to boot by network, but I can't figure out were to go from here. I don't know what images to put in the boot section (images) on the manager. I don't have a floppy drive in either pc. So I can't run 98 boot disk, or snag the files off of it. I do have the disk for 98se. But I am trying to load xp pro sp2 on this laptop. please help.

A:Argon boot manager: error: unable to read local media

I am needing to find the program to create a virtual floppy drive, or the installxp.img file, can anybody help me?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/argon-boot-manager-error-unable-to-read-local-media.124225/
Relevancy 24.08%

I have an nVidia Nforce 680i LT SLI motherboard and i dont know how the front panel control wires go in. I have tried different ways and so far only the power light turns on green but nothing happens when i hit the power button.

It doesnt say whats what on the board just a 1 2 9 and 10.

Relevancy 24.08%

Hi,
i am in a big fix with my computer hard disk space.
It's capacity is 75 gb.
The windows folder itself is 60 gb
i tried uninstalling windows sp 3 but it didnt work.
i have only 2 gb of free space remaining and i am afraid soon i will be out of free space.
i have downloaded ccleaner and few other softwares that remove pc junk but my hard disk
space is still decreasing.

Please Help !
Thanks

A:Windows folder out of control

Have you run scans for spyware and viruses?
What is the brand, model, and configuration of the computer

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-folder-out-of-control.122357/
Relevancy 24.51%

I have the Syncmaster 220wm and the speakers work on everything except itunes can i do something to stop that?

A:Help me on volume control

Check in iTunes options if the right device is chosen for playback.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-me-on-volume-control.120514/
Relevancy 26.66%

hello friends, i wanted to know the steps to connect my printer to all of my computers on the network.....

thanks

A:How to connect my local printer to the network?

google for 'printserver' which will get an IP address.

It goes on the network and the printer connects to it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-connect-my-local-printer-to-the-network.119007/
Relevancy 24.51%

Hi everyone.

I just bought myself an XFX 9800GT. I installed Riva Tuner to increase my card's fan speed to make it run cooler during games. My fan speed has been set to 70% on startup. Before I start playing I set my fan speed to 100%. However, while playing NFS Most Wanted I find that after sometime the fan speed drops to its default value of 40%. I can't understand why this happens. When I'm not playing the card maintains whatever speed I set it to.

Please help.

A:9800GT Fan Control

Are there other options in the same window ? I don't have RivaTuner handy (on my laptop ATM), but I think I remember that there are different fan settings for 2D mode and 3D mode. This may be the cause of the problem, with it reverting to the settings it came with when you enter 3D mode.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/9800gt-fan-control.117617/
Relevancy 21.93%

I've had a couple of complaints from a user where I work who cannot login wirelessly using their laptop. They can however logon fine if they plugin an ethernet cable. Once they have logged in, they can use the wireless connection just fine.

What might cause this? I'm struggling to troubleshoot it.

Thanks

A:User cannot logon wirelessly

You must be in a Domain/Networked login environment as WiFi vs wired networking is not germane to user login otherwise.

I think you're in a catch-22; you need the network to login but need login to access the network.

Fix the GPO policy for WiFi users to allow local login to the machine.
This will give the ability to then MAP drives to the infrastructure using the WiFi connection.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/user-cannot-logon-wirelessly.116860/
Relevancy 23.65%

Every time I compose a new message in Outlook Express and use MIDI music as a background the SW SYNTH in audio gets knocked back to zero. This only happens in OLEXP, toherwise MIDI's play OK.
Running Windows XP Pro SP3 OLEXP 6.0

A:Outlook express affects audio control

What is your computer? Make and model?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/outlook-express-affects-audio-control.114792/
Relevancy 26.66%

I'm using a wirless labtop but I'm having an issue where I cannot ping any hostname on the network.
From labtop:
ping hostname of a computer on NW << errmsg 'Ping request could not find host.'
ping IP of a computer on NW and it works.
When I ping local hostname or local IP I get a, 'request timed out'

From another machine on the network:
When I ping the labtop's hostname I get, "Ping Request could not find host..."
When I ping the labtop's IP address I get, "Request timed out."

I also did an IPCONFIG /ALL and pinged the default gateway IP, DNS and DHCP servers and all worked.

Is there any way to configure something here so that the wirless labtop can communicate with the rest of the network?

Windows XP Pro
Compaq Presario Notebook PC

Thanks!

A:Cannot ping local or remote hostnames

this is called Ping By Name, the other form is Ping By IPaddress.

You should always be able to is Ping By IPaddress and if not, then there's a problem
with the TCP settings.

Ping By Name requires some service to translate Name=>Address.
At home, the simplest means is to add the names into the host file.
The file is located at
\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc\hosts
You may need to login as an admin id AND to reset the read-only attribute to
be able to save the file.

Use Notepad to do the edit.

The content should be
name (sp) address​there must be at least one (sp) SPACE between the name and the address
eg: linux7srvr 192.168.0.2

ALL THAT SAID, you may have further issues on the network configuration.
The address of each system normally changes everytime you start the system due
to the DHCP service in your router. It is preferable to use DHCP rather than static
addresses, especially when you will seldomly need Ping By Name.

Hopefully, you don't need to debug your network every day, so I would recommend
AGAINST all of the above and use Ping By IPaddress when necessary.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cannot-ping-local-or-remote-hostnames.114315/
Relevancy 23.65%

I clicked on "Turn parental control on and deny computers access to ONLY these sites", entered the website url in the box, ticked it and set the schedule to always. But when I try to access the blocked web page it takes a little longer than usual but then loads on the website normally.

The two sites entered in the boxes are the ones I've tried to test the feature with, but both are not being blocked.

Can someone see anything I've done wrong?

I have tried emptying the cache and rebooting the computer and router, but still the pages just refuse to be blocked.

What's happening??? Advice would be appreciated.

A:Why doesn't my dir-300 router's parental control work?

hum; did you try just the domain name without the http:// ?
also try without the trailing / after the domain name

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/why-doesnt-my-dir-300-routers-parental-control-work.114261/
Relevancy 24.08%

Hi I have a GB Control Board? fried HDD's Replace internal Seagate Replace fried HDD's Control Board? hard drive which I removed from my PC so that I would have it with me since we just moved from South Africa to Cali USA I purchased this adapter set intending to be able to connect the hard drive to my laptop http www amazon com Sabrent-USB-D ie UTF amp s electronics amp qid amp sr - I had read many of the reviews and none had mentioned that anyone had fried their drive so I had hoped it would be fine I hooked it up and smelt a funny burning smell I immediately ripped the power cable out hoping I had been fast enough but alas the drive shorts out and won t work anymore I took it to the campus IT department here to see if they could hook it up to a PC there and it just shorted and wouldn t work So my predicament is basically that the control board on my hard drive is fried and I need to get a new one of the same model and serial as explained by this video I found http www youtube com watch v aUnmcbfagLA The data is still obviously on the disk too the only part that fried was the control board So my question is Where can I get another drive with a matching control board I certainly don t want to spend thousands of dollars trying to recover data off of the hard drive as I m a student and could never afford it anyway The data includes a lot of my graphics design which I m into and it is the only backup I have of years of my work which could never be replaced Hard drive information Seagate Barracuda Gibytes S N QM T ST AS P N BX - Firmware SD Date Code Site Code KRATSG nbsp

A:Replace fried HDD's Control Board?

Search ebay>harddrives>ST3500320AS

31 matches as of this reply: my search results

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/replace-fried-hdds-control-board.113281/