Windows Support Forum

Pavillion won't boot

Q: Pavillion won't boot

The HP Pavillion A124on will not start. please advise how to proceed to boot up. THX.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/pavillion-wont-boot-312850.html
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Pavillion won't boot

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 32.68%

hi all I tried taking battery off tried just charger etc but wont turn on could someone help on where to start to try find problem its got no hard drive in it as I bought it 2nd hand with out a hard drive in it .. thanks in advance

A:HP Pavillion dv5 won't turn on

Do you see anything on the screen when you switch on? Any fan noise? It should start briefly then find the hard drive missing, as long as there is power(?)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-pavillion-dv5-wont-turn-on.180658/
Relevancy 15.91%

Hello I have a tower just recently bought all the parts from newegg and was building the tower for the last days I had everything put in as it should be and initially it stayed on but no image was portraying problems up boot Building computer on the monitor A friend explained I was using the wrong port to portray image as it should be through the video card I should be connecting it but after troubleshooting the problem Building computer boot up problems initially I removed RAM and put it back in but computer now turns on for a second then right off I hear and see the fans running the dvd drive spinning and the lights go on but then it shuts right off after another - seconds it turns on again and then after another second turns right back off in an endless cycle until I turn it off completely and unplug it Not sure what the next steps are or if I should return the moba for an exchange After reading a lot of forums I noticed that it could be the RAM was improperly placed so I tried many times to take it out and put it back in but same problem keeps occurring I hear no beeps and only hear a click from the power supply when it goes on I tried the psu tester on the power supply and it tells me it should be working fine Any one have any idea moba ASRock Z M Pro Micro ATX Intel Motherboard ram CORSAIR Vengeance GB x GB -Pin DDR SDRAM DDR PC Desktop Memory Model CMZ GX M A C B power EVGA -G - -XR W Power Supply case Thermaltake Level Series Level GT VN W N Black Computer Case processor Intel Core i - K GHz LGA BX I K Desktop Processor video card EVGA GeForce GTX Ti G-P - -KR FTW w ACX Cooling Video Card Please someone help and thanks to all nbsp

A:Building computer boot up problems

Okay, I've had the same issue with a new build: Put it all together, switch on the power and basically nothing. Do the following tried and true diagnostic steps that can be tedious but costs nothing to do and can often zero in on your issue:

1. Uninstall everything from your motherboard and disconnect all peripherals from your power supply except psu to motherboard, cpu, and one stick of RAM. Now turn it on. If it boots up and stays booted then shut it down and then...

2. Add your second stick of memory -- nothing else. Repeat by booting up and if it stays booted up then...

3. Start adding one piece of hardware at a time and repeat as directed.

What are your findings?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/building-computer-boot-up-problems.215853/
Relevancy 16.34%

Hi all, my pc has been playing up for a while, it has gone through 3 CMOS batteries in the space of 5 months, but just now it has presented a new issue (could be related), with two sticks of RAM in, it posts and boots the os as normal... With 3 in, it will post and get through BIOS, but it starts loading OS and jumps back to BIOS again... Now with 4 sticks in, it wont even post... Are there any suggestions

My PC specs...
Penryn 1600SLI-110dB mobo
Intel quad core q6700
And (now only) 4gb ram

A:RAM preventing boot

Try one stick at a time

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ram-preventing-boot.214773/
Relevancy 15.48%

I have just added a new SSD drive does recognize 1720 Inspiron in modular boot bay not BIOS sequence HDD in the modular bay of my Inspiron The SSD drive in modular bay is accessible if I boot using my normal harddrive or USB DVD-ROM drive for OS installation which I managed to install on the SSD drive Once boot using my regular HDD I can see the drive is set to Disk in Windows Disk Management And my other HDDs Inspiron 1720 BIOS does not recognize modular bay HDD in boot sequence as Disk and Disk I can boot thru HDD or HDD by selecting them in boot sequence However the SSD drive is not available as part of the boot sequence in the BIOS setup or F boot sequence The BIOS though recognize that there is an SSD drive attached Inspiron 1720 BIOS does not recognize modular bay HDD in boot sequence in modular drive bay My Inspiron is using the latest A BIOS and I could not find a way to include the SSD as part of the boot sequence The boot sequence works when I put back the DVD-ROM drive which boots without any problem with any bootable CD DVD Is there any way I can make the modular bay SSD bootable other than of course putting the SSD in the HDD or HDD caddy which some thing I do not wish to do Please help nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/inspiron-1720-bios-does-not-recognize-modular-bay-hdd-in-boot-sequence.210955/
Relevancy 15.91%

Hi there I ve recently bought a second hand laptop because it was cheap and seemed to only have a minor problem which I hope to be able to fix So far problem TK Easynote boot Bell Packard I ve not been able to so I thought I d ask here for Packard Bell Easynote TK boot problem some help Specs Packard Bell Easynote TK CPU AMD Phenom II X N GHz Videochip AMD Radeon HD M GB VRAM RAM GB DDR orginal OS Windows Home Premium So the problem is that if I try to boot it Packard Bell Easynote TK boot problem about times it starts up I can hear the fan and HDD starting and see the lights turn on Then after a couple of seconds before seeing anything on screen I hear the fan stopping while the lights remain on The times it boots up properly and everything works What I ve Packard Bell Easynote TK boot problem done so far remove battery and power adapter reinstall RAM both at once and one by one hold down power button for a minute and try again with the power adapter connected This doesn t appear to do anything much I haven t removed the CMOS battery yet because it s embedded in a peculiar way and I m not familiar with how to remove it yet Then during one of the few sessions where I was able to boot successfully I installed the newest BIOS-version from the Packard Bell site This also didn t do anything Then since I wanted to do it anyway I started with the installation of Arch Linux where so far I ve only wiped the entire HDD and repartitioned it then I was too busy and couldn t complete it This doesn t matter much as long as I can get into the BIOS properly I ll be fine I m a Linux newbie but have successfully installed Arch Linux on a very old laptop So what I wanted to ask do you know any way to make the startup work everytime Do you have any ideas what it might be My theories so far - It s probably a hardware related problem since it still occurred after BIOS-update and full HDD-wipe without OS - broken powerbutton connection somehow -- gt replace powerbutton - broken fan overheating -- gt shutdown - broken fan cable sometimes does connect correctly I m curious if you have any theories on how to save the laptop Kind regards Ilja nbsp

A:Packard Bell Easynote TK boot problem

The laptop may need its thermal pads or paste replaced. The motherboard may be detecting a false over-heating signal...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/packard-bell-easynote-tk-boot-problem.207489/
Relevancy 15.91%

Hi all. I've got this issue with my graphic card (fresh and crispy by the way - 1 month old). Few days ago I was just browsing web when suddenly blue screen came out of nowhere on my Windows 8.1 desktop PC. Ever since then when computer boots screen is filled mozaic-like with green squares, after few seconds it's changing to vertical lines. Obviously Windows window manager won't open at all, and it greets me with black screen. After I deactivated graphic card, and switched cable to main boards VGA port computer runs ok.

I've seen some similar threads on techspot suggesting that due to escessive dust 'consuption' GPU can overheat and irreverisbly burn therefore. Is it possible that the same thing occured here?

A:Green squares on computer boot, Nvidia GTS 250

It's what I've seen on the screen when one of my graphics cards has died. As it's almost new changing it shouldn't be a problem. It's more likely to be a faulty graphics card than dust. Double check that it's seating properly in its port and that the video cable is OK.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/green-squares-on-computer-boot-nvidia-gts-250.208163/
Relevancy 16.34%

Hi there! I was wondering if any of you tech heads can help? Been given my nephews laptop which had the vague description of it hasn't turned on in a couple months.

It's a zoostorm loaded with windows 7. I can get into the bios but after that it just sits with a black screen. Any help would be appreciated.

Steve

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-failing-to-boot.208148/
Relevancy 16.34%

So I ve owned my P HM gaming laptop for around years now and for the most part I haven t had any issues However when I start my laptop it always defaults to booting off of the ethernet card even after switching my SSD to the position in the bios menu Normally this isn t that much of an issue as I can just cycle through the bios boot options using CTRL Laptop Boot issue ALT DEL The main issue that I am having now is that the last time I was using my laptop I used hibernate instead of the normal quot sleep quot or quot standby quot Now whenever I attempt to start my laptop up the message quot Resume from hibernate quot is on my screen which is normal except it tries to resume using the ethernet card If the laptop is in hibernate evidently I am not able to access the BIOS menu or cycle through my boot drives I have read that a way to fix this Laptop Boot issue might just be taking the battery out and letting any residual power that the motherboard might be running off of fade away over time I read that this normally only takes minutes or so I tried waiting minutes and it Laptop Boot issue didn t work so I just tried again but waited a few hours this time before putting the battery back in and attempting to start my laptop up The laptop is still attempting to boot from hibernate Does anyone know of any way to get to the BIOS menu from the hibernate screen Or does anyone know of anyway to fully shut off my laptop Laptop Boot issue to get rid of hibernate and just start up normally Any assistance would be greatly appreciated nbsp

A:Laptop Boot issue

it always defaults to booting off of the ethernet cardClick to expand...

This means that BIOS is not seeing any HD, marked Active and contains a bootable partition

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-boot-issue.207645/
Relevancy 16.34%

Hello everyone Been having some crazy stuff going on with this new PC that I just built I cannot get it to startup at first try I just get a black screen and the BIOS welcome try always doesn't first second/third at (but does try) up PC boot at doesn t show up and neither does the windows startup loading of course When I manually restart it Power Button long press it runs just fine I have read that thousands of things could be potentially causing this from Hard Drive to Power Supply to graphics card but my actual bet is on RAM voltages overclock causing it since I recently overclocked it via BIOS setting the default frequency at mhz which is what my RAM offers at maximum and the max that my Motherboard can read The actual voltage is set to auto via BIOS which stays at V so I m not sure if lowering or raising it will solve the problem XMP is disabled not sure if that s relevant My BIOS is up to date My graphics card is old I m planning to change it soon but I didn t have any problem in the past with it Hard drive is also old but runs just fine I m open for any suggestions Specs - Tacens Mars Gaming W power supply - AMD FX- Eight-Core - PC doesn't boot up at first try (but always does at second/third try) MSI Gaming Motherboard http thepcenthusiast com msi- PC doesn't boot up at first try (but always does at second/third try) -gaming-am -motherboa - XFX ATI Radeon HD GB DDR - G Skill Ripjaws X DDR PC - GB CL x modules of GB Dual channel in slots amp - Hard Drive SATA II WD EADS- M B TB - Win - bit Some screenshots CPU-Z confirms I m running at mhz MSI Command Center does not get accurate frequency readings Thanks in advance for all the help If I forgot to mention something please tell me nbsp

A:PC doesn't boot up at first try (but always does at second/third try)

Check and make sure the wire cables are connected properly and not loose. Also, can replace CMOS battery and see you may able to access your computer.

P.S. Also check that the hard drive connection is set to UEFI under BIOS connection settings. Windows 8/8.1 supports only secure booting.

Good luck though!!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-doesnt-boot-up-at-first-try-but-always-does-at-second-third-try.205119/
Relevancy 15.48%

when i start my computer, it goes to the gateway start page, and after a while (it's quite slow) it goes to the black page, and this is what it says:

Intel Boot Agent FE v4.1.10
Copyright (C) 1997-2003 Intel Corporation

Intel Boot AGent PXE Base Code (BA 1210BC-GW1)
Copyright (C) 1997-2003 Intel Corporation

PXE-E61 media test failure check cable
PXE-M0F exiting Intel Boot Agent

Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media
in selected boot device.

it just stays on that screen until i do a CTRL ALT DEL, then it goes back to the Gareway screen and after about 30 seconds finally boots up and i get the Windows XP start up page, and it opens up my desktop and i can continue .

Can anyone tell me why this started happening and how to correct it?

A:Computer start up is bringing up boot agent message

How old is the computer, or the hard drive. It appears you have a failed or failing hard drive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-start-up-is-bringing-up-boot-agent-message.150663/
Relevancy 27.95%

Hi all

I have got a new desktop PC, which works fine with Ethernet but I am not able to connect through wireless.When I tried to connect to the broadband, it says error connecting to the Broadband connection
Error 651: The modem (or other connecting device) has reported error. However, same comnnection works very well with my vista home premium Dell Laptop.

Thanks in advance
Pxray

A:HP Pavillion PC with windows 8 works ethernet works well but not able to connect through wireless

How to reset TCP/IP by using the NetShell utility

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-pavillion-pc-with-windows-8-works-ethernet-works-well-but-not-able-to-connect-through-wireless.202705/
Relevancy 15.91%

Hi everyone, I have a problem.
I pinmodded an LGA771 Xeon to work with my LGA775 motherboard. I decided to do it the hard way and use aluminum foil and tape to pin mod it. I think it worked out fine but anyway, on to the problem.

When I cut off the LGA775 alignment pieces, I accidentally bent 2 pins out of shape a little. Initially, I didn't notice, so I put in the Xeon to try it out, didn't work.
Then I tried my old processor, also didn't work (worked fine previously).

So then I noticed the pins and bent them back into shape, AFAIK it is perfect and you can't even tell that anything happened.
Tried both CPUs, nothing, no beeps, no signal to the monitor.

Is it possible to damage my motherboard if I didn't do the pinmod correctly?
Is it possible that I damaged my processor or motherboard by trying to run it with those 2 pins out of place?

Help please

A:Bent motherboard pins, fixed but now will not boot

I am not really sure, but my guess is you did not do the pinmod correctly since both CPUs do not work. I hope someone else can provide some insight on this issue. Good luck!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bent-motherboard-pins-fixed-but-now-will-not-boot.198999/
Relevancy 15.48%

My partner's laptop HP 0700 Notebook will not boot up and just comes up with the above message. We found an HP troubleshooting site which said to reset the BIOS default settings by pressing the Escp key, F10 followed by F9 to reset. Then it said to press the F2 System Diagnostics keys which tested the hard disk and all the tests came out OK. When we tried to restart it, it came up with the same message and we have noticed that before it comes up with this message it says in the bottom left-hand corner "Prepare boot to OS" and then comes up with the message in the heading. We have not bootable disk as the laptop already had everything installed.

Coupled with this my partner's virus protection is coming up with "Threat detected" every minute on practically every site my partner visits on the Internet. You will appreciate that we cannot run any virus checks as we cannot get into the computer.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Compused

A:No bootable device - insert boot disk and press any key

Any luck with this?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-bootable-device-insert-boot-disk-and-press-any-key.201065/
Relevancy 16.34%

Model dx -ub gtx ti evga win Today my brother was granted a hand-me-down gpu from a good friend of mine and after attempting everything I know installing the card computer visuals boot on No nothing seems to work I get no visuals boot The card seems to power up the heatsink at least but the card still gives no visuals Installing the card was goofy as all hell For some reason when apparently fully seated the end of the card where the ports are refuse to line up properly There is about maybe a quarter of a No visuals on computer boot inch gap Seeing this makes me assume it is definitely not No visuals on computer boot seated correctly I re-seated about plus times it does not want to go in correctly or so it seems I am starting to think the gpu is far to big for this moba or the case is just poorly made On top of everything the computer does not detect the gpu in any form on device manager or any other program Installing the drivers won t work because it doesn t detect the gpu as well Could it be a faulty psu - idk Maybe the gpu just went because it was nold - idk All I know is this is a friggin pain maybe someone could help me out The gtx ti was working on the current day when it was in my friends computer And yes I have plenty of power wats it was the same power supply from said friend s computer nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-visuals-on-computer-boot.200851/
Relevancy 14.19%

I just got new SSD - Transcend 128GB. Installed Windows. When I cold boot my PC -- from a shut off state -- I get this message before Windows loads: "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key."

However, if I press Ctrl+Alt+Delete and reboot I come into Windows.

If I enter BIOS from cold boot, it does not detect my SSD. After rebooting it detects my SSD. Seems like the SSD is slow at firing up?

I have run chkdsk and memory test without any errors.

My motherboard is the MSI Z87-G55.

A:"Reboot and select proper boot device"

Just installed newest BIOS, it didn't help.

When I go into Board Explorer in BIOS it says SATA port 1 is empty. After reboot it says the same port is occupied by my SSD.

Update: Plugged in another hard drive (non-SSD). Same rules apply to it. On cold boot, none of the drives are detected. After reboot, both drives are detected. I used a non-SSD as system drive before this, worked perfectly.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device.200351/
Relevancy 16.34%

So I installed a second Hard drive this weekend. And I want to create a new partition on the new hard drive, which will hold my boot files. So I want a partition of my second hard drive to be my main boot device. (Like 20gb)

Then I?m going to combine my first hard drive, and the remaining space left into 1 partition.

My Local disk has my Boot, Page file, and Crash dump. I want to move this to my new partition. (Second HD)

I tried moving the entire windows file in my local disk to the second hard drive, half way through it wouldn?t allow me to move all of the files.

How do I do this without re-installing windows?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/changing-boot-drives.200248/
Relevancy 15.91%

Hey guys I ve recently installed a new hard drive on my desktop PC It s a GB quot drive that I removed off of a new laptop I got The drive works great BUT ever since I installed it I get a really annoying drive, hard boot new get message Installed on message every time I boot my machine It s some sort of copyright disclaimer It says the brand of the HDD Hitachi and lists the copyright of the disk management system or something like that It says copyright jmicron com and then quot Hit enter to continue quot The message is displayed maybe for seconds and it disappears on its own so no need to press enter Pressing enter will get rid of it faster So yes Installed new hard drive, get message on boot it s not an error but it s annoying and it adds to Installed new hard drive, get message on boot my boot time I m assuming the exact brand and model of the HDD isn t relevant nor is it the message but if it is let me know and I ll post that information I m not near my PC at the moment Is there an option in the BIOS or msconfig I Installed new hard drive, get message on boot could change to get rid of this Intel Core i GHz GB DDR RAM Mhz GB Samsung SSD Main drive additional HDDs GB GB and GB ATI Radeon HD GB W Power Supply W nbsp

A:Installed new hard drive, get message on boot

A little help with this, please? I'm baffled, I'm no computer newbie and I've installed many-a hard drives before, but I had never gotten this message after installation. The exact model of the hard drive is:

Hitachi HTS547575A9E384

This is a picture of the message:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/installed-new-hard-drive-get-message-on-boot.197890/
Relevancy 15.91%

I m running main HDD in RAID and all is ok there I check in BIOS the SSD is recognised - using the Control I command I can see the SSD is available and status is normal I boot to Windows and it disappears I m running a w PSU and wondering if it s a power issue but why is it not a power issue in DOS It s puzzling as I previously had it working before until I recently reinstalled Windows BTW I did edit my Regedit before this so I could change from IDE to RAID on my main HDD I changed iastorV Start THIS IS WINDOWS RAID HAVE IT ON SINCE MEANS ON pciide to SSD 7 dissappears Windows I when drive boot up THIS IS IDE HAVE IT ON SINCE MEANS OFF Before I did this it would get BSOD when starting Windows having only the BIOS changed to RAID on main HDD Should I have changed the pcide to and instead SSD drive dissappears when I boot up to Windows 7 left it at Anyone have any ideas nbsp

A:SSD drive dissappears when I boot up to Windows 7

This has been sorted - I removed the Kingston SSD and used an OCZ Agility 3 SSD which was instantly recognized. Apparently Sandforce, the controller the Kingston uses has a problem so that's what it was.

This topic can be closed.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ssd-drive-dissappears-when-i-boot-up-to-windows-7.197659/
Relevancy 15.48%

Got aspire 7520 series notebook, who wont boot but on boot flashes caps lock 2 times need to find what problem indicates two blinks

A:Aspire 7520 wont boot need help finding info

Remove the battery and connect the AC adapter only... does it then boot?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/aspire-7520-wont-boot-need-help-finding-info.195750/
Relevancy 15.91%

Hey there I own a Samsung laptop the model is NP E C I left my computer on the couch rushed off to work and came home to find it on the ground I figured it fell off the couch which is about a foot off the ground When I turned it on the fan was making a loud noise and it was clearly damaged or out of alignment Instead of spending money taking it in I decided to have a look and popped the back off I took the fan off and cleaned it and then put it back However the hard drive was connected to the back cover by a little plug which went into the motherboard so I took that off in order to screw the fan back in place I put the cover back on and tried to put the hard drive chord thingy into stuck menu at Computer boot the motherboard again but it seemed a bit loose I then turned the computer Computer stuck at boot menu on after screwing everything back and now it only goes to the boot menu and no matter what I do whether it be changing the settings back to default Computer stuck at boot menu or trying to keep that plug stable nothing will get me to Windows Did I take something apart that was not supposed to come off nbsp

A:Computer stuck at boot menu

Seriously? No one has any advice? lol

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-stuck-at-boot-menu.194260/
Relevancy 16.34%

So recently I wanted to boot was over Computer knocked won't and hook my computer up to Computer was knocked over and won't boot my TV and took my PC into my living room where I set it in a very precarious spot Stupidly Long story short my puppy got tangled in the cords and knocked it onto the carpeted floor from about - feet up I know this is a long shot because I can t give much info other than the computer will turn on like everything is fine for about seconds nothing comes on on the monitor and then it shuts off It makes most of its normal boot up sounds except an audible beep it usually makes that I assume is the hard drive kicking in I m not sure about that though although it seems like before it was broken I usually heard that beep about seconds after turning on the PC which is where it now seems to give up and shut down One of the times I ve attempted to turn it on after wiggling some parts around it actually stayed on But it never made that beep and nothing came on the monitor Nothing inside looks physically broken or damaged though I know that doesn t mean much when it comes to computers If anyone has any ideas what is broken please help Thanks nbsp

A:Computer was knocked over and won't boot

Hi, One thing that might have moved is one of the RAM board(s).
The RAM (memory ) boards plug in to edge connectors on the main board, so it's possible that one may have moved in the fall.
Don't know if you have a laptop or desktop tower type but for the laptop you could have a look at something on youtube such as;

The computer must be not powered up when doing this.
There are also many plugs and sockets that might have moved slightly, and if it's not that, it may well be the hard drive seek arm has been damaged, but I would try the easy 'fixes' first.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-was-knocked-over-and-wont-boot.194162/
Relevancy 15.91%

When I boot my computer goes past the first screen, bios. Then it goes to a black screen with a blinking under score in the top left corner. I googled and saw all sorts of recommendations. The first one from windows 7 staff tells a customer to buy a new hard drive. But I decided to try the simple thing first, unplugging all my USB devices. And it worked. Through trial and error I found out it is the keyboard. It work fine if I plug it in after boot. I switched the usb slot the keyboard is plugged into and it still happens.

How do I solve this other then getting a new keyboard? Why does this happen? Could this possibly be the reason my computer is getting hotter then normal?

A:Keyboard causing computer to freeze on boot

Your keyboard or cord could be damaged and sending constant signals to the PC. Try with another keyboard to see if that's the problem.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/keyboard-causing-computer-to-freeze-on-boot.192465/
Relevancy 16.77%

I have an HP running Win 7 home premium / 64.
tried to recover and got a config problem and win will not now boot at all. Tried to Change Win to boot from CD. Won't do it even though I cahnged it it Start up. I am now somehow in Edit Boot option inside windows . Reads thus
Edit Windows boot option for : win Setup

Path: \windows\system32\boot\winload.exe

[/minit /redirect rdmageoffset=8192 rdimagelength=3161088 rdpath=multi(0)disk(0)
rdisk(0)partition(3)\recovery\windowsRE\winre.wim

I know I need to chnage something here but what?
Stuck in a circle. can't use cd now because it is in a boot circle. I get a config error and call your manufacture for help !!! ????

By the way Optical drive is fine. Had loaded in win 7 with recovery disk by the cd and when it came up this config problem manafested and that is how I got into this loop!

A:Won't boot at all

Any updates on this?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wont-boot-at-all.192090/
Relevancy 16.77%

Solvest.

A:HDD vs USB vs SSD boot

If you have USB 3.0 and a fast thumb drive like Sandisk Extreme, Corsair Flash Voyager GT Speed, or Kingston Data Traveler HyperX, it will be faster than a HDD, about like a first generation SSD. USB 2.0 is going to be slower than the HDD, so in this case, an external HDD would be just as fast as and cheaper than a large 2.0 thumb drive

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hdd-vs-usb-vs-ssd-boot.192555/
Relevancy 16.34%

Hi guys So Can't default as boot set SSD to device seem a quick background here I went from using a normal HDD with windows bit os and unplugged it while I installed bit windows os on my new SSD samsung booted up no problem after setting the sata controller Can't seem to set SSD as default boot device to AHCI and shut down to put my hdd back in as a storage drive not Can't seem to set SSD as default boot device yet wanting to format the drive just incase I have any issues with my ssd I can still use the pc via the hdd Booted up fine however it was running in IDE So I used the regedit suggested by windows of setting the value data box to and it caused a bsod I then read that I had to do the regedit for both the ssd and hdd so I did which lead to no problems booting up and running AHCI just fine However the only way I can force my computer to boot using the ssd is to hit F for boot menu and select it it is not an option inside my BIOS and by default every time it will just boot from my hdd unless it s not plugged in in which case it ll boot the ssd When it boots from hdd as always if not using f menu it ll show the ssd as drive E effectively everything works ok but having to hit f every time I boot up or restart to select the boot device is going to get tedious Just to elaborate what I mean by it not being an option in the bios I have the Gigabyte H M-UD H motherboard and the only boot devices that are displayed in the bios are Floppy LS Hard Disk CDROM ZIP USB-FDD USB-ZIP USB-CDROM USB-HDD Legacy Lan With Hard Disk selected it ll behave as described above To clarify the only way I can appear to chose to boot from the ssd is via the boot menu F Is there any way I can properly set it so the ssd is the primary boot device Baring in mind I don t want to format the hdd at the moment nbsp

A:Can't seem to set SSD as default boot device

So you can only boot into the 32 bit version of Windows?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-seem-to-set-ssd-as-default-boot-device.192029/
Relevancy 15.91%

Gents, built my own machine last year and installed a 60GB SSD strictly for Win 7 only (have two other HD's installed for storage and programmes)

Lately im getting alerts to say my SSD is now full and after doing what I could through the tools on Win 7 I was only able to free up 5 GB's What the hell is on here? Win updates? Everything I do is directed to my HD on the E: drive

Alternative is to buy another - can you transfer the root HD to another HD? really didnt plan for this, I know 60GB isnt that large but it was only ever to use as a boot drive.

Suggestions anyone?

A:60GB boot SSD full, but don't save anything to it

System restore points or pagefile maybe?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/60gb-boot-ssd-full-but-dont-save-anything-to-it.187889/
Relevancy 31.39%

I powered down the machine yesterday (Shut Down) and now this morning the computer will not boot.
When I try to boot the machine the BIOS screen does not appear, the HD light flickers on but then stays off. All other lights on the machine are on as normal. The fan kicks in within 30 seconds and sounds like it's running at maximum revs.
I did a hard reset and reseated the HD and the RAM and replaced the RTC battery without fixing the issue.
I will disassemble the unit and make sure the fan is not clogged, in the meantime does anyone have any thoughts ?
TIA
Arfer

A:HP Pavillion DV6700 will not start, no BIOS screen just black

The motherboard has probably failed do to consistent overheating over time...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-pavillion-dv6700-will-not-start-no-bios-screen-just-black.189056/
Relevancy 15.91%

Good morning Techos!

I was wondering if you guys could lend some help at me regarding the HP g61 laptop.

1. When the pc boots, there are hang ups I experience:
a. At start, I just see a black screen with a small underscore character in the top-left,
b. Starts, sees Hp logo, then boots, and hangs up at windows 7 logo with "Starting Windows" caption.
c. Tests, Start-up tests, run-test, hdd test and memory test in the hardware test but hangs in either of them two.
d. Boots up, sees "Windows Error Recovery Screen" page, and hangs (hangs at 30 sec countdown)

2. I am suspecting that the processor is somewhat damaged already, because I tested the HDD and RAM on my other laptop, it works just fine. Please advise if there are ideas that springs up on your mind. It will be a waste if it will not be resolved. Thank you Techos!!

A:HP G61 laptop doesn't boot properly

Is this a new laptop still under warranty or not?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-g61-laptop-doesnt-boot-properly.189666/
Relevancy 16.34%

I have an acer aspire 5315 and when I boot it up with the power adapter plugged in nothing happens. Then when I boot it up using only the battery power, it attempts to boot but this only lasts for a few seconds and shuts off again.any suggestions on what might be wrong?

A:Acer won't boot up

Remove the battery and try the AC only and see if it boots up?

Also what happen prior to this issue?
Did the laptop shutdown after a crash?

Check AC power that AC power cord and adapter can be replaced from online vendors cost is pretty cheap. I own two ACER/GATEWAY laptop and ACER Netbook both use the same AC adapter. To test your adapter you need what is called a multi- AC/DC tester it has positive and negative leads. If you don't want to get to technical you can replace the AC power adapter.

1. Rule out that the AC power adapter is defective?
2. Rule out that the Battery is defective or just plain dead?
3. If AC power only without battery installed won't start-up the laptop then you know AC power adapter is bad.
4. Check the pin connection using a flashlight to see if the pin inside the laptop is bent? If this is bent or damage then the laptop needs to be repaired. Normally this would be easy to fix most trained service tech would replace the module for the power adapter if such a part exist or they would replace the entire MOBO (motherboard).

Is the laptop running Windows 7 or 8?

Your model AC Adapter: http://www.amazon.com/Power-Supply-19V-3-42a-1-77mm/dp/B001MQ694W if you need to replace it that battery is on this link too. Both are really not to expensive. You should always have a replacement battery and AC power adapter around just in case of problems like this one.

Also if it's not the AC adapter or battery then you're looking at a defective MOBO (motherboard) or defective HDD. This laptop would need to be troubleshooted though to make sure what's the issue could be. But with the above info you should be able to figure most of what the issue could be.

Good luck!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/acer-wont-boot-up.189783/
Relevancy 15.91%

I have a hp pavilion dv4 with 4gb ram and windows vista and it won't boot under battery power even though when I boot it up with ac power it says the battery is fully charged.

A:Battery power boot up problem

How old is the HP? If its been a few years since you bought it, you might try re calibrating the battery from the BIOS, most HP and Gateway computers have a utility inside the BIOS for calibrating the battery. If not, let me know and I'll see if I can find one.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/battery-power-boot-up-problem.189626/
Relevancy 15.91%

Hi I have installed a DVD player burner in my sons computer but when we try to boot up it comes up insert Diskette,I thought maybe it is the jumper on the DVD player moved it to all positions still no joy.If I take the DVD player out the computer boots up and starts fine.I tried changing the boot order as well still wont start up.I only know a small amount of knowledge of computers so any ideas to fix this problem.Regards Martin.

A:Computer doesn't boot with DVD player connected

Jumper and diskette? Is this an old computer w/ a disk drive? With disk drive and DVD player connected with a flat wide ribbon cable (IDE)?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-doesnt-boot-with-dvd-player-connected.189420/
Relevancy 16.34%

I have an old fujitsu stylistic LT C-500 pen tablet which gives 4 errors on boot up. The first is query support failed. It has to do with fujitsu display monitor application.The second is pen tablet failed to initialize and pen functionality is not available although I just installed a new driver and it works fine. The third error secure attention sequence error which says it is unable to create a tray icon for the secure attention sequence application. The fourth error is WMI Error: Error accessing class instance. It also has to do with fufitsu display monitor application. I have wxp installed and a .5 ghz processor with 128 mb ram. Eveything seems to work just fine except for that.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/boot-up-errors.189373/
Relevancy 15.91%

Laptop won't boot. Put in installation disc in CD drive. System won't boot to CD rom. I removed the HDD, put CD in drive, it boots to CD ROM. Reinsert HDD, plug in power, no boot to splash screen or allowing access to bios. Remove HDD, boots to CD ROM...
Thoughts?

I don't understand why it won't boot to CD with disc inserted. It should boot up to CD regardless since it is first in boot order.

Disregard specs below. It's Toshiba Satellite A665 Laptop.

A:Toshiba Satellite A665 laptop won't boot

Update: I had suspected the HDD was bad. The OS did finally boot. It cannot find a HDD. Can you say Newegg?

First and last Toshiba for me.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/toshiba-satellite-a665-laptop-wont-boot.188913/
Relevancy 15.48%

Hi we are working on a computer for a family member Windows has slowed down incredibly won't Toshiba recognized Satellite CD not different two S7802... boot, put drives... ROM in they had multiple viruses and spyware we tried to clean it off for them but decided it would be easier to just do a reinstall We have been googling going to various tech sites etc and cannot figure this out The CD drive was not recognized in Windows and wouldn t work we thought it was just part of their other computer problems Upon rebooting it won t boot from the CD ROM which is a Toshiba brand factory drive We already checked the boot order CD ROM is set first HDD second No network boot enabled So we thought the drive was bad We bought a new drive put it in same issue I find it hard to believe we got two bad drives one after the other Windows of course doesn t Toshiba Satellite S7802... put in two different CD ROM drives... won't boot, not recognized recognize it either Both of the drives act like they can read they flash you hear them running but it doesn t show up and won t allow us to boot into anything not Windows not Linux nothing from the CD ROM It just will not boot from anything but the hard drive and no option to Toshiba Satellite S7802... put in two different CD ROM drives... won't boot, not recognized boot from USB We are at a loss as to what to try next We tried looking for jumpers cables etc but it doesn t have them Any suggestions nbsp

A:Toshiba Satellite S7802... put in two different CD ROM drives... won't boot, not recognized

Dose this laptop or computer have a recovery partition?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/toshiba-satellite-s7802-put-in-two-different-cd-rom-drives-wont-boot-not-recognized.187772/
Relevancy 16.34%

I just built myself a new computer & W7 SSDs XP boot Dual using I have a Samsung GB SSD as a Windows HP boot drive - Sweet and fast I have a legacy Canoscan Lide scanner that has no driver support for W I installed VMware player and installed XP Dual boot using SSDs XP & W7 pro so I could use the scanner but have not been successful at getting it to work I have tried to connect to the scanner in VM and get the message that the scanner is being disconnected from the host but then fails to load the driver in the VM I m not opposed to tinkering with it in the VM some more I suppose I could create another VM and install Linux which would have scanner support My next thought was to use an old Intel V GB SSD as a second drive with XP pro for a dual boot system My question is whether the TRIM function in W will monitor the nd drive with XP Will the utilities from Intel or Samsung keep the V functioning smoothly Is it a worthwhile use of the V Any general thoughts discussion on this Thanks Monton nbsp

A:Dual boot using SSDs XP & W7

Upgrade (one option is Windows Anytime Upgrade) to Windows 7 Professional and then use XP Mode. XP Mode has better integration with the OS than other VM's. Another solution would be to simply replace the scanner. Either option would be less headache than dual booting in the long run.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to talk you out of dual booting. I personally think you would be happier by replacing the scanner and not having to deal with Dual Booting or managing VM's.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-boot-using-ssds-xp-w7.187434/
Relevancy 15.91%

I have an odd problem with a new GPU card where I get no video signal on power up but on boot problem video Strange as soon as Windows load the graphics driver the monitor turns on My system is self built and has been running fine until recently when I seemed to have a problem with the existing GPU hence the warranty replacement My system is Motherboard GA-X A-UD R Rev CPU Intel I- GHz GPU MSI GTX PE OC Memory GB Crucial DDR PSU Coolermaster RS- -SPHA-D W V A V A V A Now I ve already run through a swathe of tests and can confirm that all the components Strange video problem on boot are working Tried GTX in another system and it works fine tried an NVidia Quadro in the above system and it works fine - I see video from power up to Windows login screen I ve tried different DVI cables and this makes no difference - the cables I am using are good Next I have a KVM so I put both the GTX and the Quadro into the system and cabled their DVI O P to separate ports in the KVM This is where the fun starts NOTE there is no onboard video so I need some way to see the BIOS and boot screens hence this setup Some background on the motherboard It has a BIOS setting that defines what PCI slot will be used as the initial display port This can be set to PCI PCI-E slot and PCI-E slot As long as I put the Quadro in slot I can use the PCI and PCI-E slot BIOS settings and I will get video from power up but the GTX does not produce a signal until Windows loads its driver at which point the monitor turns on and I can login to Windows using the GTX as my display If I swap the cards around I don t get a video signal at any time and no matter how long I wait Windows does not appear to boot If I change the BIOS setting with the Quadro in slot to PCI-E slot then I do get video Finally if I remove the Quadro it is irrelevant what the BIOS setting is I get no video signal on power up until Windows boot loads the GTX driver and from that point I can work normally I ve googled extensively but haven t found anything close to this some similar and none of the solutions are relevant to my problem I have upgraded the vbios on the but have not been able to find the latest BIOS for the motherboard I ve tried using the Gigabyte BIO update tools but a the Bios tool doesn t list my motherboard b another tool lists my motherboard as revision but it is clearly marked on the board as revision c they list the BIOS version as FB but on the download site there is no FB revision for either revision or revision motherboards so reluctant to try flashing any of the later BIOS versions I m thinking of buying a cheap GPU just so I can get into BIOS or the Windows boot menu when I need to if I can t track down the problem so any suggestions would be gratefully received BTW I have cleared the CMOS and reset the BIOS multiple times but it makes no difference Many thanks George nbsp

A:Strange video problem on boot

Seems the problem may lie with the card. After exhausting and eliminating all causes I could think of, the last thing I thought of to try was to connect to my TV using the HDMI socket on the card. This provides a video signal from power on but using the DVI socket I don't get video until Windows has loaded the GTX 670 driver.

Any ideas why the DVI socket is fine when I use the NVidia Quadro but doesn't provide a video signal in standard VGA when I use the 670?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/strange-video-problem-on-boot.187290/
Relevancy 16.34%

I recently got this computer from a friend so I have no idea how long this has been going on. Probably why he got rid of it. I will plug in the power cord and try to boot with the battery in and nothing will happen. If I reach under the laptop and remove the battery and then try to boot up it comes on like normal. I can then put the battery back in but it makes no difference after that. The battery is completely dead. Does anyone know if this is a common problem with a bad battery or what. The computer is a Dell Latitude D630. If I knew that putting a good new battery in it would fix it I would without hesitation I just need to know if that is the problem or is it another glitch. If anyone knows the answer I would appreciate if they would pass it on. Thanks

A:Cannot boot laptop unless battery is out

The charging system has too little capacity to run+charge at the same time. simple solution: buy a new battery

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cannot-boot-laptop-unless-battery-is-out.187220/
Relevancy 15.91%

I have a PC running Windows bit on an ASUS p e delux mobo My video card was a nice NVIDIA GeForce GT ASUS which died a week ago and had to be replaced I decided to go for an ASUS NVIDIA GeForce GTX Ti after some rather vague technical advice Please note that the mobo has a pci-e slot and the card runs on pci-e The No video during signal boot sequence advice I received was that the card will run but on pci-e speed which was OK No video signal during boot sequence I installed the card and booted the PC My monitor came up with a quot NO SIGNAL quot indication After a considerable amount of time the monitor turned on and Windows booted normally with one exception the dvd drive No video signal during boot sequence had suddenly become quot invisible quot Note that the driver for this drive is loaded during the boot sequence Other indications like num lock on which I had set to off showed that something was changed in the boot sequence From then on I boot and teh same happens Windows runs nicely on the new video card everything is great but no boot sequence and no dvd drive Unfortunately I cannot see the boot sequence to try and fix this I cannot use the dvd drive to load anything I cannot see my way out of this Please help I have no idea how to fix this nbsp

A:No video signal during boot sequence

The video card may not be recognized/accessed until the computer boots up fully. Do you know if you have an Onboard video port on the motherboard?? If so, try connecting to that and booting the computer to see if it shows anything on first boot and then goes away as soon as it goes to boot windows..

Could check the BIOS settings for anything to do with how video is treated, if it is set to try and use both Onboard or an extra video card, try switching it to only an extra card. However, if the card dies and you're forced to use onboard you will have to reset the BIOS before you can use it again.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-video-signal-during-boot-sequence.186759/
Relevancy 14.19%

Hie

My hp laptop had its battery flat for 12 hours. After that the laptop can nolonger boot up or charge. Please help

A:HP laptop cannot boot up or charge battery after battery went flat for 12 hours

What is the model of your laptop?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-laptop-cannot-boot-up-or-charge-battery-after-battery-went-flat-for-12-hours.186087/
Relevancy 15.91%

Good evening, I cant afford to take my laptop to a tech so I am posting here in hope of help. I have a Toshiba satellite l755, I turn my pc this mourning on and it showed me this messege. Intel UNDI, PXE-2.0 (build 083)
For atheros PCIE Ethernet Controller v2.0.
Check cable connection!
PXE-M0F Exiting Intel PXE ROM.
No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key
What happend to my computer? Please help

A:Toshiba Satellite l755 trying to boot from network

In the BIOS, look in the boot options and take the "other devices" or "other" out of the boot sequence.
Make sure that HDD is listed as first boot option.
This should be enough,
BUT... I would also check to see if boot from LAN is enabled.
If it is, (unless you need it for some reason) disable it.

PXE is a protocol that will enable you to boot from a network drive or server.
When it says that it failed, it is because it could not find an OS on the network.

To enter bios, watch the screens when you power on.
It will tell you the right keys to press to enter your bios setup.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/toshiba-satellite-l755-trying-to-boot-from-network.185830/
Relevancy 15.48%

Hi

I recently installed a gigabyte B75M-D3H 1155 mobo, i5 cpu, my pc boots fine but there is no BIOS splash screen at all and it is worrying me. I can boot into win 7 fine, but when I turn the computer on it goes from blank screen very quick (1 second) cursor flash, then windows splash screen. Is something wrong? It has done this since the 1st time I booted it. Going into the Bios there is an option named "full screen logo show" but it makes not difference whether that is enabled or not. My monitor is on the whole time, not waking from sleep or anything like that.

A:New motherboard - BIOS splash screen is skipped during boot

The new MBoards are really fast going through the BIOS Post. I looked at thier site, and there is a utility that lets you access the BIOS through Windows. Install the app, then you can set a post delay.
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4315&dl=1#utility
Really looks like a great board, lots of cool features.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-motherboard-bios-splash-screen-is-skipped-during-boot.184239/
Relevancy 15.91%

I have a 7 y/o Dell inspiron 9300 which froze for the first time. I had to restart. At the initial Dell start up screen the screen went black with the cursor flashing top left. I have tried to reboot from the o/s cd but after loading set-up files it only offers me the option of overwriting and deleting the partition with all my files and applications. I cannot get to the recovery console. I get to the c:\windows comd prompt but after that it says the command I type is invalid. I have tried ctrl f11 and f8 as advised by some forums, but the screen stays black with flashing cursor. I've removed the battery and run it of a/c power, no good. The computer is old and I want to replace it but I need to get all my files off it before I do. Anyone any more ideas?

A:My Dell inspiron 9300 won't boot

Sounds like the hard drive has failed, but you may be able to recover files by installing a new drive. Remove the old hard drive and put it aside. Format and install Windows on the new drive. Buy an external USB enclosure and install the old drive into it. Attach the USB enclosure to the laptop and see if you can access the files

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-dell-inspiron-9300-wont-boot.184505/
Relevancy 15.91%

I ve been troubleshooting this one all day If anyone can give me some insight it would be much appreciated Just built a new boot not Vista on or drive reading DVD in system ECS Black deluxe mobo i - GB ram took the other out to trobuleshoot thermaltake SP- M psup and a DVD drive not reading on boot or in Vista LG ODD MOBO link http www newegg com Product Prod Power Supply DVD drive not reading on boot or in Vista http www newegg com Product Prod SP- M I DVD drive not reading on boot or in Vista can t get the DVD Drive to read my windows boot disc I ve installed a Vista HDD from another machine which boots fine and runs everything except for the ODD The ODD does respond to eject commands from Vista I ve tried plugging it in to multiple SATA ports and switched the SATA cable with ones I know to be good from the HDD I ve also tried using the Vista install disk for kicks but no dice there either More than that I ve tried swapping the DVD Drive with a known good one and I get nothing out of it Any ideas Am I missing something with the way the SATA cables connections have to be configured nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dvd-drive-not-reading-on-boot-or-in-vista.184107/
Relevancy 16.34%

Have a NB205 3 years old running Windows XP Sp3 . Unit will power up to thru the Toshiba page
(F2/F12) allows me to go to setup. It will not go beyond this point and I get black screen with blinking cursor. Boot options are HDD, FDD and LAN. I received no recovery disc with the unit.
This happens in either mode power or battery
Help
Chathamjoe

A:Toshiba NB205 won't boot

Those are symptoms of problems with the HD, most likely in the partition table. You will need to use the
restore CD you made when you first used the system.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/toshiba-nb205-wont-boot.183223/
Relevancy 16.34%

I have a dell 8250 pc that won't boot up. When I turn the power on it tries to boot but says it cannot see the hard drive. This pc has windows xp. This an IDE unit. I purchased another dell 8250 that has windows xp also, but has bare bones programs. What I would like to know is, can I use my old hard drive in the newer pc and boot from that or do I have to use my old hard drive as a slave on the newer system ? Also would I be able to retrieve my emails from outlook. Any ideas ?

A:Dell 8250 won't boot up

I have a Dell 8250 although that doesn't make me an expert on that PC by any means. I think the first hard drive may have failed. Try putting it into the second Dell and see if it recognizes it. Keep in mind that rather than master and slave, Dell used cable select, at least they did at that time.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-8250-wont-boot-up.183129/
Relevancy 15.91%

Hello I ve purchased a quot computer quot on TigerDirect com by ordering parts to place together Here is what I got ASUS P Z -V LX INTEL Z LGA MOTHERBOARD Intel Core i - K Ghz Unlocked LGA CPU Corsair High Perform Vengeance GB DDR Mhz x Seagate TB Serial ATA HD MB SATA- G Sony Optiarc X DVDRW SATA OEM Thermaltake W Modular Power Supply Bronze EVGA GeForce GTX Ti GB GDDR will boot computer Newly-built not PCIe Thermaltake V Black Edition Newly-built computer will not boot Mid Tower Case Corsair SP Performance Edition Newly-built computer will not boot mm Fan TwinPk I believe that everything should work together just fine I saw not conflicting components I ve building the computer placed everything as it should be And I can t get it to boot for more than seconds or less and it shuts down I have a few ideas of what it might be but I cannot test my theories until Monday due to lack of resources at my house at my school s computer clinic I have moderate computer knowledge and would like to see if anyone could help me figure out what my issue might be I m open for suggestions Thanks in advance A nbsp

A:Newly-built computer will not boot

Hi, a few questions.

Did you install the motherboard standoffs correctly? because if any exposed metal is touching the motherboard it could be shorting it out.
Have you tried troubleshooting individual components yet? I have a feeling it might be the PSU because even though it has more than enough wattage, I've heard some suspicious things about thermaltake power supplies being not very reliable. then again, I could be completely wrong, I'm just going off what I've read on review sites and forums.
You could try pressing the ASUS memok! button on the motherboard to eliminate the possibility of it being the RAM.
If I were you I'd try a different power supply.
good luck, if anything happens let me know.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/newly-built-computer-will-not-boot.182928/
Relevancy 16.34%

A co-worker of mine has a Lenovo laptop running Windows 7. It hasn't been working for the past few days. It just refuses to boot up. It comes on, shows the "Starting Windows" screen, and then just sticks on a black screen and refuses to do anything. How could I make it work again? She says she hasn't installed or downloaded anything since it stopped working, so I'm clueless.

A:Why won't this laptop won't boot up?

Hi, Would be good to know how far into loading Windows 7 it gets, if at all.
You do see the BIOS notice at the top of the screen after power button pressed?
Then it changes to the black screen with Windows 4 colour flag?
Is the hard drive LED active? Do you get to the logon box?
Do you get any messages on screen? ( I'm thinking of 'O/S not found' ?).
The LED on the front edge is a good indicator of hard drive activity, plus you can normally hear drive noises,
any clues like that.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/why-wont-this-laptop-wont-boot-up.182828/
Relevancy 15.91%

Hi all, here is my question I'm recently building my first PC and and unfortunately I am only able to order part by part. Currently I have my processor, motherboard, power supply and will be ordering my memory next. my processor is a i5 3570k with the Integrated HD4000 Graphics and mobo is a MSI Z77A-GD65, so I planned on using the on-board graphics till I can afford an aftermarket one.

So basically my question is with the processor, mobo, power supply and memory in hand will I be able to run a test boot on the system so I can make sure I don't have any defected or broken parts. If not can you list any extra parts ill need before I can try a test boot. thank you very much.

A:Quick question on test boot

You'll need RAM to seal that deal. The bare components you'll need for a boot/POST are CPU, PSU, board and RAM...a monitor and keyboard wouldn't go amiss either.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/quick-question-on-test-boot.182253/
Relevancy 15.48%

Hello All I ve recently been inspired to work on my Dell Studio laptop that from what I believe is infected with a very nasty virus rootkit even Symptoms and issues and progress I can make are Computer will turn on and load the startup screen where F or F may be pressed to virus?) black (hangs, not Computer boot screen, will change boot or enter BIOS I cannot enter safe mode I m given no option to do so throughout the loading process However I can select how I would like to boot from F or enter BIOS setup by pressing F If I Computer will not boot (hangs, black screen, virus?) try to boot from my HD it enters a black screen where it hangs Nothing If I try to boot from a CD in the DVD drive it starts loading but hangs mid-startup Nothing If I try to boot from a USB drive it hangs Nothing What I have tried to do to outsmart this thing Reinstalling the OS from a disk -- it feels as if it is stopped uncompleted Deleting the entire HD with a third-party utility -- Failed Interupted and continues to hang during loadup USB drive installation is the same way -- hanging I can however load into a linux unix operating system and quot see quot the drive Unfortunately I can t access it There is an error that occurs I do not need anything on the laptop nuking would be perfect for me at this point Suggestions I can provide screenshots if needed I m going to post this in a few different forum types because I don t know if this is hardware related or virus related Hope this isn t a problem Thank you all for your time and help A nbsp

A:Computer will not boot (hangs, black screen, virus?)

I'm going to post this in a few different forum types because I don't know if this is hardware related or virus related..Hope this isn't a problem!Click to expand...

Please do not post the same problem in more than one forum. As you have already posted in the Virus and Malware forum I'm closing this thread.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-will-not-boot-hangs-black-screen-virus.182024/
Relevancy 16.34%

I bought a pre-assembled computer a while back and it came with a 30GB SSD for the OS (which is Windows 7 64-bit if it's of any relevance). Unfortunately this is incredibly small and between security updates and bits and pieces from various programs that refused to install on anything but the boot drive I've found myself with only about 2GB left. I want to buy a bigger drive to replace the SSD but I'm not sure of the best way to all the data I need on the new drive. Should I try some kind of cloning software or is it better just to do a fresh install of the OS.

I was also wondering, since SSDs are pretty price, if I would lose a significant amount of speed if I got a standard platter hard drive instead. Would most things other than boot time be unaffected?

A:Replacing SSD boot drive

What popped into my head when I read your post was Acronis. There are others, of course. You might want to hang around a bit and wait for more suggestions. Personally, however, I'd do a clean install. But that's me and I like to keep things simple and straightforward so as to avoid complications. Do wait for the advice and opinion of more knowledgeable members on this.

Juuke said:

I was also wondering, since SSDs are pretty price, if I would lose a significant amount of speed if I got a standard platter hard drive instead. Would most things other than boot time be unaffected?Click to expand...

A good-sized, well-priced SSD will run rings around a platter drive many times over, in my opinion. Makes for a faster PC all-around. But then do you really need that much performance for your purposes? What do you use your PC for? My desktop at work has a platter hard drive and it suits its purpose just fine.

Can't you keep your SSD and maybe get a standard platter drive for your archives and maybe some apps? If you're on a laptop, have you considered maybe getting an external HDD? Sorry if I've missed a point somewhere.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/replacing-ssd-boot-drive.181416/
Relevancy 15.91%

I just finished building my new New boot priority first SSD and build: time Ivy Bridge system and it booted up fine The motherboard is a Gigabyte Z X-UD H I have installed a New build: first time SSD and boot priority Samsung SSD in SATA Port and a Samsung HDD is SATA Port In addition I have installed an Asus DVD drive The Bios recognizes all three drives in the System ATA - Port Information Serial ATA section of New build: first time SSD and boot priority the BIOS BUT in the Boot Options Priorities it recognizes only the Samsung as priority and the Asus DVD as Priority The Samsung hard drive is not listed If I am reading both the manual and other information correctly the Boot Option Priority section will only recognize the primary hard drive In this case it would be my SSD Am I correct and I can go ahead and load Windows or am I missing something Also I am assuming at this point that Windows will assign the SSD as the C drive Will I need to manually assign another letter for the hard drive Thanks nbsp

A:New build: first time SSD and boot priority

That is setting the boot priority for each type. You will need to set values for the specific boot types.

mb_manual_ga-z77x-ud3h_e.pdf

Hard Drive/CD/DVD ROM Drive/Floppy Drive/Network Device BBS Priorities

Specifies the boot order for a specific device type, such as hard drives, optical drives, floppy disk drives,
and devices that support Boot from LAN function, etc. Press <Enter> on this item to enter the submenu that
presents the devices of the same type that are connected. This item is present only if at least one device
for this type is installed.Click to expand...

If you look under the Hard Drive listing, you should see both HDD and SSD. Select which one you want to boot. The one you select should show in the priority list for booting to HDD.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-build-first-time-ssd-and-boot-priority.181225/
Relevancy 16.34%

I just installed a new Biostar motherboard and processor. It is a Biostar N68S3+, AMD Athlon II X3 455 Processor, and 4 gb RAM. Now it will not boot up. I was a little disappointed that it did not have two IDE connectors, as I have an older DVD drive. It goes to a black screen with startup choices; start windows normally, last good configuration, safe mode, etc. I have tried all, and it posts then goes back to this screen. In safe mode, it appears to load some of the drivers, but starts over. Everything booted fine with my old mobo, but it kept shutting down. Any help will be greatly appreciated. What am I missing?

A:New motherboard won't boot

This is because Windows doesn't recognize the new equipment, and typically upgrading a motherboard (well 95% of the time) usually prompts a fresh installation of the OS. Sometimes you can get away with it if the new and old boards are really similar but that isn't the case. There is a very easy way of getting around this issue but it will require 3rd party software, but reliable software by Acronis. Their product TrueImage, which is disk imaging software suite, offers a feature called "universal restore" which allows you to re-image Windows on any system with dissimilar hardware.

The alternative, of course, would be to just do an in-place upgrade of Windows, but for Vista and 7 you need to have bootable environment or it doesn't work. It could be a real headache to get the computer to boot as it is so I would strongly urge to use the imaging software, because it's really easy. TrueImage isn't too expensive and it will pay for itself time and time again.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-motherboard-wont-boot.180436/
Relevancy 16.34%

Hi Guys Here is my story my friend brought me a laptop that is completely shut down and he told me to fix it I asked boot get computer even I can't the see BIOS cannot -- what is the problem and he said I don t some one gave it to me and I don t know what caused the problem when Looked the laptop I tried turning on but nothing showed up on the screen I plugged the power charger waiting for few minutes I turn on still nothing show up but this time the screen become white for like seconds and then goes back to black I thought I cannot boot the computer -- can't even get see BIOS the system is not getting enought electricity my question here is what are things do you think might cause the system not to boot please list a whole punch problem that might cause the system not to boot and I will go one by one and see if I can figure out here is the laptop information Toshiba Satellite-L -S there is windows on it I believe because I see win sticker on the laptop nbsp

A:I cannot boot the computer -- can't even get see BIOS

I would suggest testing the mains charger first, if you have access to a multimeter, set it to the 20 volt range and see if the voltage is what it should be.
If that's okay, then it might be time to open up and check connections.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-cannot-boot-the-computer-cant-even-get-see-bios.179658/
Relevancy 15.91%

I'm upgrading a Dell Optiplex with Pentium D and a Radeon X600 video card. I got a new Asus X1300 and when installed the computer turns on, all the lights come on and there are 3 beeps and the machine shuts down and then the computer turns on by its self and goes through the same routine and will keep doing it until the cord is pulled. I installed the new card in my desktop and it works perfectly. Dells site shows this card as an upgrade for the Optiplex so It should work . Thanks

A:Computer won't boot with new video card

You probably need to replace the power supply with a little bigger/better one...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-wont-boot-with-new-video-card.178959/
Relevancy 16.34%

every time i boot up my pc my screen flashed on and off about 4 to 5 times y is it doing this once its all loaded up it dont do it no more thow please help i have a navida quatro 3700/4400 256 mb video card on a dell dem 4700 with 4 gig ram and a 500 gb hard drive and a 1 gig bigfoot enternet card and i have extra cooling fans in it

A:Flashing screen at boot up

First off relax, for the same thing pretty much happens to me when I turn on my computer. Seeing you and I almost have the same machines, mine being a old Dell Dimension 5100c, 4 gig's of RAM, Intel Pentium 4 (H/T) 3.0 CPU, Nvidia Quatro 285 video card.............I think it's just something that happens to systems like yours and mine. For me this flashing on and off a couple times really get's to me, happens on both my dual monitor setup. Sometimes I think I should pop some pop corn and grab a drink and sit back and watch the flashing show!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/flashing-screen-at-boot-up.178852/
Relevancy 16.34%

I got in a HP DV - DX today with the error code F which then says quot No boot device present Install operating system quot This system was apperantly running normally and then was going slow so the user reset it and started getting that error I thought this was a dying drive or corrupt boot sector but this code continued to any will DV7-1245DX not boot HP device when the hard drive had been removed and the system would find no other boot devices I tried bootable cd s dvd s and a bootable USB stick that I know works and the system does not see any The odd thing is it CAN run a disk scan on the hard drive when its plugged in It just does not see it in the boot manager The boot manager is actually blank showing no HP DV7-1245DX will not boot to any device options for devices I setup the boot order properly and made sure quot HP DV7-1245DX will not boot to any device cd drive quot HP DV7-1245DX will not boot to any device was enabled as a boot device but this changed nothing I tried bios defaults also I removed the memory tested each individually unplugged the power and cmos and put everything back in plugged in another hard drive with a different windows install nothing changes the error I put the original hard drive in an enclosure and ran a MBR rebuild on it with EASEUS and a disk scan which returned no errors the system still could not boot to the device The only thing I can think at this point is that the disk controller went bad Any other thoughts I have tried multiple motherboard repair services around the country for previous laptops with motherboard issues but never found a reliable one usually get them back to die a few days later so if this is a disk controller issue this system gets sold for parts nbsp

A:HP DV7-1245DX will not boot to any device

Just an update, I fixed this in a way that makes absolutely no sense. I gave up and then just started messing around with it. I put two hard drives in instead of 1 and it booted right up. Removed them put back in the original now it works fine. All I can think of is that the drive controller was somehow corrrupted, and even with bios reset stayed messed up; then the 2 drives somehow got it working again (2 drives providing input somehow fired it up?). Anyways, I hope this obscure happenstance helps someone else.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-dv7-1245dx-will-not-boot-to-any-device.171739/
Relevancy 16.34%

hi !, i am running a system with intel core 2 duo processor and gigabyte motherboard. In my BIOS the first boot device is HDD, now i want to change that to CD/DVD, but i cant change them...

after entering Advanced BIOS settings -> Hard disk boot Priority [Press Enter]

but when i press enter it is showing the order, but those are disabled, i tried +, -, pu, pd but they didn't work. Does any one know the solution...?

A:How can I change my boot order

You're looking at the wrong item. Go down one line until you see "First Boot Device." Change that to the appropriate CDROM device. You can also set the second and third boot device if you wish. What you are doing now is choosing which hard drive (and hard drives only) will boot ahead of the other hard drives. So if your hard drive is selected as the second boot device, this will tell the system which hard drive to look at first. That is, if you had more than one. If you only have one hard drive, that would be unnecessary.

You may also press F12 to temporarily change the boot order for that one time only without entering the BIOS.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-can-i-change-my-boot-order.174511/
Relevancy 15.48%

Dear All.
I have been stuck to a peculiar problem. Let me discuss the situation. I Have got the following configuration: Asus motherboard with Intel Dual Core processor, 2 GB of DDR2 RAM and one 80GB P-ATA and one 500 GB S-ATA HDD. I have installed Windows in the S-ATA HDD and decided to use the P-ATA HDD as additional storage drive. Now the problem is, sometimes the system cannot detect the P-ATA HDD, and sometimes when it detects it appears as Primary IDE Slave and in that case the SATA drive disappears from the boot priority drive list in bios setting. So the system cannot boot. Presently I am using my PC without connecting the P-ATA drive. But I want to use both of them. In this situation can u masters help me out of this problem? Thanks in advance........ Kabiraj.

A:My SATA HDD is not available for boot priority selection in BIOS settings

Is the BIOS updated to it's latest firmware?
Alternative solution would be that you buy an pata HDD USB box and put the pata HDD in there.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-sata-hdd-is-not-available-for-boot-priority-selection-in-bios-settings.178476/
Relevancy 15.91%

So i have a hp 7600 mini convertible desktop upgraded with 3.4 ghz dual core processor 4 gigs ddr2 400 mhz ram 500 gig hard drive geforce hd 4600 1 gig graphics 64 bit system.

Any way at boot up i get front usb not connected i get front audio not connected and chassis fan not connected press f1 to continue.

The audio and usb are plugged in but do not work so i am assuming their is an issue with the mobo. the chassis fan is not plugged in as the chassis fan hooks to one of the molex cables off the power supply.

Is their any way of making this stop saying that to me at boot up i looked around in the bios and didnt really see anything but i may be missing something

A:On boot up computer keeps saying front USB not connected

install the USB and Sound drivers from the MOBO cd.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/on-boot-up-computer-keeps-saying-front-usb-not-connected.175711/
Relevancy 15.91%

hi all i put post up in malware as laptop has got many issues etc due to opening an email then all of sudden system32 error virus etc so decided to reformat laptop but i put disc in and no matter what i do it will not boot when turn on please hellp

A:Laptop will not boot Windows 7 disc

...no matter what i do...Click to expand...

Did this include changing the boot device order in the BIOS or the Boot Menu?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-will-not-boot-windows-7-disc.176519/
Relevancy 16.34%

My laptop lights turn on, the fan starts and then nothing happens. The screen stays black and the hdd does not engage.

A:My laptop won't boot

The motherboard is probably fried, but try booting the laptop with the battery removed, on AC power only

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-laptop-wont-boot.175753/
Relevancy 16.34%

I have another little problem I would like some help with .
every time I boot up my comp it wants to do a Chkdsk so
I went run* got the window between the lines put in a N
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>Select C:\WINDOWS\system32\Chkdsk.exe

The type of the file system is NTFS.
Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be
checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N) N
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
but still every time I start my comp is does the Chkdsk bit
can you give me an Idea on how to get rid of that ?
regards drecked

A:Chkdsk on boot up

Have you tried just allowing it to run the Chkdsk one time to see what results, and to see if it will run normally thereafter?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/chkdsk-on-boot-up.176168/
Relevancy 16.34%

Hi Everyone I would appreciate any help with a problem I am having with a Dell won't boot m2010 Dell XPS XPS M that belongs to a friend It worked well for about months and then started acting flaky The system would freeze no response from mouse or keyboard and then on reboot would not display anything I have Dell XPS m2010 won't boot been through this cycle several times I am not sure what causes it to recover Details Works fine running XP sp then freezes Power off and reboot - lights cycle through the disk light comes on for a second then goes off The power light and bluetooth light stay on After a few seconds the keboard lights come on and go off I currently have the XP re-install CD inserted so it spins up and then shuts down There is no display at all Several times I have left it on with and without the battery to come back later and find it booted into windows I have run the full diagnostics several times but they fail in random places Typically gets through the cpu and mem tests and stops responding during video or keyboard test It appears it is the freezing problem POST seem to be running but there is no display I pulled the ram and then power on light cycle stops in the middle - put the ram back in and it completed the cycle I have reseated the video card and disk During one of the times that it booted I got a blue screen with ati dvag dll infinite loop problem I found a workaround thanks Cobrakaun but cannot get it booted again to try it The last few times it booted I was getting an error while Sonic dvd tried to update drivers but it couldn t find the disk that was never included thanks Dell Any help would sure be appreciated before this beast becomes a boat anchor Thanks nbsp

A:Dell XPS m2010 won't boot

Sounds like CPU overheating
or faulty Power Supply

Try Benchtesting it

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-xps-m2010-wont-boot.113049/
Relevancy 14.19%

hiyall

do i physicaly instal front panel card reader and a usb 2 x4 pci card before 1st boot of bios and before new install of win 7 64 , or after ?
please and thanks

A:Install front panel card reader and a USB 2x4 PCI card before first boot?

Before. Did you get a driver(s) CD with the card reader?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/install-front-panel-card-reader-and-a-usb-2x4-pci-card-before-first-boot.175140/
Relevancy 15.91%

My gigabyte EX A-UD R has hard drives I do music and video production drive is XP drive is W Ult Bit the other drives are used for let Additional boot hard the drive not will system media reading and writing to Last night my system would not boot In either XP or W I disconnected all drives Additional hard drive will not let the system boot these are SATA drives I reconnected one by one I started with the XP drive it booted normal I took a deep breath I added the W drive and booted into it It booted normal I added my Pro Tools write to drive I could boot normal into both XP and W I added my Avid Assets drive and the system would Additional hard drive will not let the system boot freeze on boot up on both XP and W I tried using different cables tried different SATA controller positions But that changed nothing Still the same behavior to the the system when that particular drive is connected the system freezes on boot The drive shows up as it should be in the Bios The MB sees it and the drive seems to see the MB I used a disc utility called HDD Regeneration to test the drive Booted into the HDD Regeneration utility it lists the drive chose it to check HDD Regeneration found no errors in the drive So I took the drive out of may case and booted into W Put the drive in question in an external SATA docking station Connected it via a usb and W picks up the drive in quot My Computer quot as you would except having an external drive connected All my data is there and accounted for Any ideas here Thank you Philip nbsp

A:Additional hard drive will not let the system boot

Ive come across the rare occasion where some drives just dont like being linked together, this was with IDE drives, did the system boot previously with all the drives in.

Have you changed the boot order at all, ie have you got the faulty drive as first boot device.?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/additional-hard-drive-will-not-let-the-system-boot.174516/
Relevancy 16.34%

Suppose to say First post here hope its in the correct place Anyway the other day i downloaded sound card drivers for my Fujitsu Amilo pro everything was working fine until i went to turn it on the following day and i got a error message saying HDD not detected I then tried boot Fujitsu Amilo Cannot Pro to install Windows XP and this was saying that it Cannot boot Fujitsu Amilo Pro couldn t detect the HDD either I called Fujitsu yesterday and was told that there was a problem with my HDD and that i would need to get a new one I have taken the HDD from one of my previous laptops booted fine and tried to boot of that but when it starts to load windows a blue screen pop up for a mila second and then it restarts I have since tried installing XP on my new HDD but after the part where it copys Cannot boot Fujitsu Amilo Pro file the system restarts and tries to boot the old version of XP and i am now baffled and dont have any idea on where i should go from here P s both hard drives Cannot boot Fujitsu Amilo Pro are Hitachi Thanks in advanced for any help nbsp

A:Cannot boot Fujitsu Amilo Pro

You need to delete the old or existing XP partitions and create a new partition and format it using quick NTFS. Let the XP install finish

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cannot-boot-fujitsu-amilo-pro.173022/
Relevancy 15.05%

Hello I recently posted on this forum after having issues with my computer not booting Then the PSU literally blew up a day later Old System Specs Q MSI P N Diamond Silverpower sp w has good reviews just not well known Corsair GB HD The issue I had was turn on pc everything lights up but GPU fan spins at full speed as if it was getting no power or connecting to motherboard G-card will not boot at all I did however find a very strange work around To boot the machine I had to remove the pin CPU power on the motherboard Turn the machine on but no boot Turn it off and replace CPU power Turn machine back on and everything works perfectly So It seems that the card can never boot up from cold If I re-started it worked fine I now have a new motherboard cpu RAM and PSU Both motherboards work perfectly with my tester g-card New PC Parts I k Gigabyte GA-Z X-UD P-B Corsair TX w V The new one fails to boot at all even with various different power cables removed I cannot RMA card as it is No works fan kinda speed boot, card? mobo faulty on other - - full 5870 second-hand BY using my 5870 No boot, fan full speed - kinda works on other mobo - faulty card? trick on the old motherboard it works perfectly so the card actually works It s just having big issues accepting power to 5870 No boot, fan full speed - kinda works on other mobo - faulty card? boot Would flashing the g-card bios help This quote is from an article about flashing the g-card bios It seems to sum up my issue the video BIOS initializes the card As soon as it receives power from the motherboard the BIOS activates the card and identifies itself to the motherboard BIOS In short the video BIOS starts and identifies the card and provides its initial crop of settings However if I can get any advice on other things to try out then I will happily do them The PSU s are not at fault as There is the same issue with a new Antec PSU and my brand new Corsair TC w which is supposed to be one of the dogs bollox of PSU s Thanks in advance for your reply Ivan G-S nbsp

A:5870 No boot, fan full speed - kinda works on other mobo - faulty card?

Welcome to the world of custom building lol, my computer has similar problems that if i have had it turned off for more than 5 minutes it will not boot and keeps bluescreen until i do a clean boot with a power drain, my solution to that is do just set the bios on the MB to use a 1W standby and leave it in sleep mode always (reboot it every so often)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/5870-no-boot-fan-full-speed-kinda-works-on-other-mobo-faulty-card.173944/
Relevancy 31.82%

I have a HP Pavillion dv5000 and would like to replace the cmos battery due to charging issues. I can't find the darn thing. I removed the keyboard and the wifi card and NO battery. I removed the ram sticks also to see and still no battery. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Seems easy but you try lookin in this machine lol

A:HP Pavillion CMOS battery... where the heck is it?

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00700959.pdf

Section 5.8 RTC Battery, page 5-16

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-pavillion-cmos-battery-where-the-heck-is-it.173717/
Relevancy 15.48%

Hi,

I have a Equium A200-1V0 with what I can see is a common problem on many forums I find through google, but I cannot find any solutions for it.

1. The laptop will not boot (no bios screen) when the charger is plugged in.
2. It will boot up normally with out the charger connected. However, the battery, even if left to charge, will deplete once vista has fully started. When I then plug in the charger it freezes.

I am using a genuine charger. Any ideas? Do you think it is just the battery? Or is there something on the board causing this issue?

A:Equium A200 - charger/freeze/boot issue

Yes, replace the battery...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/equium-a200-charger-freeze-boot-issue.173400/
Relevancy 15.91%

I am really new to overclocking, and my first attempt my have fried my system. I went to the Bios and set my system to overclock to... I don't remember the speed, but when I hit save and exit the system never booted the OS it just blanked the screen. I let it sit for a while and nothing happened. I reset it in hopes to get back to the BIOS but after turning it on the BIOS wont even boot. The screen never turns on but the comp sounds like its running fine. Anyone know what the issue is? Or know how to do a hard reset to clear the changes I made to the BIOS?

A:Problems overclocking, system won't boot BIOS

Remove the CMOS battery from the motherboard for a few minutes, reinstall it and start the PC. That should return the BIOS to default settings. Keep in mind that if you have SATA drives and the BIOS was set to SATA, AHCI or RAID, be sure to reset it to that or you could have trouble starting Windows.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problems-overclocking-system-wont-boot-bios.173410/
Relevancy 15.91%

My Dell Inspiron 1000 won't boot. When i press the power button, the lights above the keyboard flash for a second, then with a click it stops. It does not even start the boot sequence. I tried a UBCD but it never gets that far. Can anybody help me diagnose the problem?

Thank you

A:Dell Inspiron 1000 won't boot

I had the same problem when my graphics card died and then it has also happened to me when a HDD died and got it working by disconnecting the power cable to faulty component. So you could try that, one component at the time, or then remove (for ex.) one ram card and try, then an other and try again...and so on

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-1000-wont-boot.171905/
Relevancy 15.91%

The following are the components that are in the build Asus powers computer up build, but won't boot New P P LGA Intel CPU Support Intel I New computer build, powers up but won't boot k Sandy Bridge G Skill F - CL D- GBXM Ram Radeon HD xfx graphics card Basia W PSU GB HDD DVD-RW I m pretty sure that they are all compatible but the issue is when ever i hit the power button it starts up for seconds then the power cuts out but a few seconds later it powers back up LED s on the mobo are on HDD is spinning all fans are going the CPU and Video Card included I swapped the graphics card with a buddy s of mine and it worked fine on his rig The issue that i m experiencing is that it doesnt Boot at all The computer stays powered on but nothing ever goes onto the screen Granted i m a new to building PC s but i think it might be either the Ram or the Mobo any suggestions nbsp

A:New computer build, powers up but won't boot

So when you power up your PC, it starts and then turns off and then back on? So you swapped a GPU with your friend and the PC booted, or what?

Have you overclocked yet?
How many sticks of RAM do you have, 2 or 4? First try only with one stick. If the problem stills persists then swam for the other Stick.

What OS did you install?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-computer-build-powers-up-but-wont-boot.171583/
Relevancy 15.48%

I am very very frustrated since I waited a while to get this motherboard from china. My last DFI board randomly died on me and I ordered this as a replacement because I wanted a decent 775 board. I worked on it all night tonight and despite it reading all the hardware... it will not boot unless I reset the cmos every time. On top of that... I can not get the bios to update... it doesn't read any of the 5 usb drives I tried (fat/fat32). Also I tend to get this grey screen when trying to flash it sometimes. I am beside myself at this point after fussing with it for hours on end and I really need some help.

A:Asus P5E3 BIOS won't update and needs CMOS reset to boot every time

Sounds like either the BIOS is corrupted or the motherboard battery is a goner.

Have you tried burning the new BIOS to a bootable CD ?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/asus-p5e3-bios-wont-update-and-needs-cmos-reset-to-boot-every-time.171511/
Relevancy 16.34%

Hello,

when I press the power button on my case, my computer starts, the blue light shines but my monitor doesn't show anything.

After many resets and taking out the power cable the PC eventually switches on and boots. My power supply is not the best. It was part of my case. Is the PSU a problem?

Here is my PSU:

Thanks

A:PC will not boot when I turn it on

I'd say its related to something else.

Maybe a glitch, but that sounds like the GPU, or motherboard issue.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-will-not-boot-when-i-turn-it-on.171236/
Relevancy 15.91%

I am trying to help a friend out He has a Presario F notebook part KC UA ABC that is running win ultimate retail It has stopped working When the notebook power supply is plugged in that blue light goes on and there is power Presario won't up F700 boot notebook to the notebook but there is nothing after that I can hear the computer trying to boot the fan is working and its a bit warm around that area but i think that might be normal I plugged in a known good external lcd but that didnt help But there might be a key to press like FN to get an external monitor to work i dont know in this case since its not my notebook He doesnt even get the bios info all he gets is a blank screen so maybe an external Presario F700 notebook won't boot up monitor wouldnt work either I should point out Presario F700 notebook won't boot up that when i attempt to boot this laptop i dont get any beeps at all Help would certainly be appreciated Thank You nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/presario-f700-notebook-wont-boot-up.171069/
Relevancy 15.91%

help. i just want to ensure if the problem of my pc is the video card. my pc got worse. after loading windows, after showing desktop, monitor shuts down. sometimes, after right click (like refresh or in the taskbar), monitor shuts down. help pls.. this is my first time posting in a forum. tnx

A:Monitor shuts down after desktop boot

edgarconan said:

help. i just want to ensure if the problem of my pc is the video card. my pc got worse. after loading windows, after showing desktop, monitor shuts down. sometimes, after right click (like refresh or in the taskbar), monitor shuts down. help pls.. this is my first time posting in a forum. tnxClick to expand...

It would help to know OS=Operating System & pc specs. Have you gone into the Control panel>Power options to see what the monitor setting are set to?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/monitor-shuts-down-after-desktop-boot.170384/
Relevancy 15.91%

I just recently had to upgrade to a 880gm-ud2h motherboard after my old one died (an older model, also updated the RAM and Processor, but not the hard drives or video card) but now that I've done all this, something has messed up with Windows.
Whenever I start the computer, windows will seem to start normally, then a BSOD will flash for less than a second before the computer reboots and demands that I run the System Repair thing for Windows. After running this three times without effect, I decided that I was better off installing a new OS (I lost my repair disk), and created a USB bootable for Ubuntu.
However, with this USB boot drive plugged in, hitting F12 during boot up brings up the BIOS boot order as normal, but no matter which option I choose nothing changes.

Can anybody help me with this problem?

A:Boot order of BIOS isn't changing

Well for some reason it finally decided to work, but now the computer won't go past a black screen that says "Loading Operating System..." and it sat there for about fifteen, twenty minutes,.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/boot-order-of-bios-isnt-changing.170680/
Relevancy 16.34%

Hello All,
Desperate for some help. I have a DV8263 ea HP Pavillion laptop that isnt booting up. As soon as i press the power button the left blue light at the front comes on and the computer sounds like it is kicking in and then the fan stops but the lights remain on the HP Quickplay bits and the powerlight at the front is on but not the HD access light. The screen does nothing. I have tried to plug in an external monitor in case the screen isnt working but that doesnt nothing. Any idea what it could be?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-dv8000-failure-to-boot.170344/
Relevancy 31.39%

I have a Hp Pavilion with a 4.2 score, AMD Turion II P560 Dual-Core 2.50GHz, 4gb ram 300 gb storage, and a AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250. I can play games like minecraft well on High performance and HD, 3D graphics but I want to play more games like Battlefield and Black Ops, MW2 MW3 -Beta. I use Game booster but it only seems to end my processes, how can i run my laptop to be faster for gaming without lag?

A:How can I make my HP Pavillion G-series computer run games faster?

go into battery settings and change to high performance, also most the time with laptops specs dont handle like there advertised due to battery and "saving space" issues. On top of that just try doing the normal, clear off empty hdd space, and use a good defrag program like auslogics and optimize to read the data faster. Trust me gaming is hard enough with just BF2 on my dinosaur of a laptop stuck to windowed resolutions of 800x600

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-can-i-make-my-hp-pavillion-g-series-computer-run-games-faster.170081/
Relevancy 15.91%

Having problem boot Acer 7520 a bit of a problem with an Acer laptop yesterday it crashed to a white screen with bits of static on it almost like the graphics card had overheated I switched it off and left it for a while and now its refusing to boot up When you press the power button it begins booting and the Acer 7520 boot problem lights come on but after a couple of seconds it powers down then tries to start again It never gets far enough for the screen to come on and it will Acer 7520 boot problem keep doing this cycle until the power is unplugged and the battery is removed Ive tried the following without any luck Booting up with battery removed and power in vice versa - no effect Opening up the back and cleaning all the dust out of it - no effect Removed one of the two ram chips and tried booting then same with other - no effect removed both Ram chips and tried booting - no effect the fact that it isnt even complaining that there is no ram in it leads me to believe something in it is seriously messed up Re-seated hard disk - no effect Removing battery and unplugging from power and leaving overnight - no effect So its looking like its a dud but if anyone has any ideas for other stuff i can try i would be very grateful nbsp

Relevancy 16.34%

I boot no power New first build just built my new pc and it wont power up no mobo light the fan on the PSU wont turn no anything I am baffled i think its the PSU I have checked for lose cords and even tried another New build first boot no power power switch New build first boot no power from my friends case that i know works I think my PSU came trashed but the box was ok thanks Specs MoBo ASRock H M B LGA Intel H HDMI SATA Gb s USB Micro ATX Intel Motherboard PSU Antec NEO ECO C W Continuous Power ATX New build first boot no power V v EPS V PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply RAM G SKILL Ripjaws Series GB x GB -Pin DDR SDRAM DDR GPU XFX HD- X-ZNFC Radeon HD GB -bit GDDR PCI Express x CPU Intel Core i - Sandy Bridge GHz GHz Turbo Boost LGA W HDD Seagate Momentus XT ST AS GB RPM quot SATA Gb s with NCQ Solid State Hybrid Drive Case COOLER MASTER HAF RC- -KKN Black SECC I also tried booting it with just one stick of RAM the PSU and MoBo Nothing still nbsp

A:New build first boot no power

Check that your system isn't being shorted out by any of the motherboard mounting screws. Try testing outside of the case if in doubt. Other than that it sounds like you could have a DOA component.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-build-first-boot-no-power.169887/
Relevancy 31.82%

it possible to place a ATI Radeon HD 5750 in a HP pavillion slimline?

I want to know because i just bought just cause 2 for pc and i dont have the right Graphics card so im planning to buy the graphics card.

btw im 13 so i cant afford everything.

thanks for your help

UPDATE: the version of the PC is S3330f

A:Is it possible to place an ATI Radeon HD 5750 in a HP Pavillion Slimline?

From the information I could gather 8800GT is 9" long and roughly 4.7" high. Whereas, this XFX HD 5750 is 7.9" by 4.4". So if these measurements are true to your existing system, you should be ok with this card.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-it-possible-to-place-an-ati-radeon-hd-5750-in-a-hp-pavillion-slimline.169743/
Relevancy 15.48%

Hello TechSpot,

I am thinking of dual booting Linux Mint with my Windows 7 OS. I don't have a cd big enough for the installer, and I am thinking about buying a stack of CDs to use for booting. However, I don't know which CD type to buy. I will be using them also for Movie making, file storage, back up and etc..
Which one of these would work?

DVD R
DVD RW
DVD-RW
DVD-RAM

Thanks

A:What type of CD is good for installing Linux or other OS for dual boot?

They're DVD's, not CD's; though you can use them for burning a Linux ISO, it would be a waste of most of the capacity of a disk though. I'd choose DVD-R's.

You can always download Linux live creator and use that instead. You just need a spare 1GB USB memory stick/thumb drive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/what-type-of-cd-is-good-for-installing-linux-or-other-os-for-dual-boot.169327/
Relevancy 16.34%

I have noticed that my computer (and many others) have an option called "PCI-LAN" or similar in the BIOS boot menu (when I press F8 I get the option to choose boot device, HDD, CD, USB and PCI-LAN).

I'm just curious, what is this for, and how could I use it?

A:LAN boot option in BIOS

Not sure about PCI-LAN, sounds like a NIC.
Are you referring to PXE booting?
That is where you set up an image on a server that people can boot from without having the OS actually on their hard drive.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preboot_Execution_Environment

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/lan-boot-option-in-bios.168805/
Relevancy 16.34%

Hello folks I m pretty new to the whole SSD world like most are so I m not quite sure what I got myself into I have a mg Crucial SSD that I m using my primary boot up drive So all my windows bit stuff is installed there I also have a standard Samsung gig HDD that I formatted and would like to use for gaming and music boot/HDD games SDD I guess I should give you the lay out of my setup WIN bit INTEL I- ASUS SABERTOOTH X MOBO GIGS GSKILL RIPJAWS ASUS GEFORCE I VIDEO CARD And of course the SSD and HDD I have my SSD pluged in to my SATA port on AHCI and I have my HDD pluged into my SATA SDD boot/HDD games port since its only a gb s drive With all this being said can I easily play games from my HDD or do I have to do some configuring of some kind Thank you much nbsp

A:SDD boot/HDD games

or do I have to do some configuring of some kind?Click to expand...

I would imagine not.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sdd-boot-hdd-games.169025/
Relevancy 14.19%

Hi all I just finished updating Windows Ultimate on my studio computer labeled studio in my systems if you wish to see all specs and when I went to reboot it it displayed the error message quot PLEASE REBOOT AND SELECT PROPER BOOT DEVICE quot So immediately I thought I must have the boot order wrong or the hard disc set to RAID or something Error: new "Please reboot select and media" build on proper boot What I ve done so far Tried to play with BIOS settings and SATA connections in every possible configuration - NO RESULT Tried to boot from Win disc in order to repair - got same message even when hard disc disconnected Took out one stick of RAM and tried both in both Error: "Please reboot and select proper boot media" on new build slots - NO RESULT Checked all cabling and recabled entire system from ground up - NO RESULT Swapped out motherboard with a completely different brand new motherboard the MSi GTM-E - NO RESULT Repeated steps - with new motherboard - NO RESULT Checked hard drive multiple times and even booted from it attached to my MAIN computer Error: "Please reboot and select proper boot media" on new build s motherboard - Hard drive totally operational no result for studio computer I need serious help on this one If anyone has any advice that I have not tried please please please help It is an older hard drive but has only been used with Win nbsp

A:Error: "Please reboot and select proper boot media" on new build

Did you try running "fixmbr" or "fixboot" from the repair console? Here's a M$ support page on that: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

Are you saying that updating from Windows Update trashed the install?

Or, the BIOS in most new boards comes set to run as IDE. Have you tried setting the HDD to "AHCH". (I think that would be called directly, "SATA" in an AMD based board).

Plan "B" always involves trying to boot from a Linux CD to attempt to access and copy your data files, before a drastic measure like zeroing out the drive

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/error-please-reboot-and-select-proper-boot-media-on-new-build.168941/
Relevancy 16.34%

It lights up, whirs, and fails. Doesn't read on PC or Mac. Recently replaced, should work.

Ayudame por favor.

A:WD Passport won't read/boot

What size is that one? I had one did the same. What I did was this...

Take a freezer lock bag and stick the WD into it with folded paper towel in put inside it.
Lock the bag
Stick the bag into the freezer for 30 hours
Once 30 hours have passed
Take it out and leave it in the bag until it reaches room temp
Now connect it to your PC
It should now been seen.
Since then my WD still works with no issues and the clipping sound has gone too.

Note: Same method can be use on 3.5 HDD too just have to stick the folded paper towel on the circuit side in the freezer lock bag.
Tested both method on failing 2.5/3.5 HDD along with USB WD Passport. Works always.

Good Luck!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wd-passport-wont-read-boot.168833/
Relevancy 15.91%

I had recently sent in a clicking WD GB IDE Hard WD problem 500GB drive IDE boot Drive for replacement They sent me a WD 500GB IDE drive boot problem NEW one this past June Worked fine until recently I WD 500GB IDE drive boot problem am using an OLD Motherboard specs below This motherboard stated a CMOS Checksum Error Anyway Hard Drive wouldn t boot Hmm battery NOPE it s fine volts Hmm CMOS Reset NOPE did no good Found out upon looking at the board small square chips on the board around them were discoloration possibly overheating issue ANYHOW things occurred Each time I would Push the start button on the tower the computer would turn on after second shut down then after second reboot on its own Neither onboard SATA connectors would work that is my Serial ATA Seagate Barracuda TB drive and my DVD Burner would not boot and not show up in my computer or anywhere I took my WD GB IDE Drive to have it analyzed and was found to have bad sector I then went to Western Digitals Website and used Data Lifeguard and the program said it found bad sectors and fixed them all I then contacted WD tech and they told me to return it for a new one I simply asked WHY They said that even if the Motherboard caused this to happen it could happen again where your hard drive would not work at all I told them this will be the rd Hard Drive I got from you if I return this one The tech GUARANTEED that the NEW HARD DRIVE that I get from them will work perfectly Ha Ha WD is upsetting me a little What I REALLY want is to be able to access my TB Seagate Barracuda I had this tested and it has NO BAD SECTORS I need a newer Motherboard with ON-BOARD SATA I found out that the below SATARaid Controller is old and the motherboard OLD and when you try to BOOT the SATA Seagate the PCI SATA Card is incompatible with the drive that is you will see the Serial of the drive followed by a flashing cursor then your computer just sits there loading nothing I am wondering if this adapter would work This adapter converts SATA to IDE Bidirectional IDE SATA Conversion Adapter SPECS Using SPECCY Summary Operating System MS Windows XP Professional -bit SP CPU Intel Celeron MHz Northwood um Technology RAM GB DDR MHz - - - Motherboard AB Socket Graphics x Hz MB VisionTek XTASY VISIONTEK Hard Drives GB Maxtor Maxtor E L ATA C GB Western Digital WDC WD AAKB- H A ATA C Optical Drives HP DVD Writer t SCSI CdRom Device Audio Creative EMU K Audio Processor WDM Intel R DB PCI Bridge - E Creative SB Live series Creative Game Port SMCWPCI-G Mbps Wireless PCI adapter Realtek RTL Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC Silicon Image SiI SATARaid Controller HP DVD Writer t SCSI CdRom Device Operating System MS Windows XP Professional -bit SP nbsp

A:WD 500GB IDE drive boot problem

WD HDD are giving everyone trouble. Bad Sectors and Cluster issues. I know I've gone through 2 of these HDD. All WD can do is send me a replacement but I could get nothing done.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wd-500gb-ide-drive-boot-problem.168588/
Relevancy 14.19%

which i have yet to find a solution to after four hours of scouring the tubes i finally got all the pieces of my new computer together new HW msi mainboard k n pgm -v amd athlon II x mb RAM nvidia geforce gt x sata LG multi drive x sata gb drive not new but unused old HW x IDE gb drives x IDE cd r w the old hw works fine when plugged into my old computer boots etc never had any issues with them at all except the cd drive sticks sometimes i ve set jumpers correctly all cables are seated properly both the SATA HD and the SATA multi-drive power up and seem to work correctly as do both IDE drives and the IDE disk drive the BIOS recognizes all components installed and i ve set my boot sequence to boot "Reboot and select boot error proper device" from only the IDE disk drive and in another attempt only the SATA disk drive still get the same error i ve connected the old HD with the old XP os installed on it and it gives me boot options you know safe mode w or w o command prompt etc or start windows normally but obviously as the OS was installed with another MB gfx "Reboot and select proper boot device" error card etc it would blue screen on me and reboot the computer the manufacturer screen for the mainboard appears normally any "Reboot and select proper boot device" error combination of IDE or SATA HD s has been tried the only thing i haven t tried that i have seen on the web is removing the video card but i fail to see where that would affect the computers ability to recognize the CD in the disk drive Also the only copy of windows xp pro I have at "Reboot and select proper boot device" error the moment is a burned copy i have a product key set for my new computer and i have used this same copy to install onto my younger siblings computer and had no problems at all now if I am completely ignorant to a fact like part or most of my computer will not run XP please forgive me but it seems like even if that were the case the computer would still try and boot with the CD inserted any help at all would be greatly appreciated and thank you for taking the time to help me out snuffXdub nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-error.168546/
Relevancy 15.91%

Hi, I have a Satellite L300, and when I try to boot the machine up, the opening welcome screen from Toshiba appears, with the option to press F2 or F12 to go to the set up options, but after that the laptop will not proceed any further. At this point the battery light and power light are constant green, but the HDD light only flashes temporarily before going off again. I've tried disconnecting everything for a couple of hours (including taking the battery out) and then connecting everything back up again, but to no avail. Have you any other ideas on what I could try, or what the problem may be?

Many thanks, Greg

A:Toshiba L300 laptop won't boot up

The hard drive may have failed. Remove the hard drive and try booting up the laptop. Does this cause "no operating system found", or change the stopping point at all?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/toshiba-l300-laptop-wont-boot-up.166693/