Windows Support Forum

"Unknown Network Device" - but mapped drive does work

Q: "Unknown Network Device" - but mapped drive does work

Does anyone know a fix for this common problem:

My PC's (running XP Pro SP3) mapped network drives say "Unknown Network Device" but they work just fine.

Is there a way to get windows to like them as the normal "Network Device".

I ran across these other posts with people with the same problem, but didn't see any sure-fire fix listed:

http://tinyurl.com/c4zmbr

http://tinyurl.com/d6dxq4

Thanks!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/unknown-network-device-but-mapped-drive-does-work-362019.html
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: "Unknown Network Device" - but mapped drive does work

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 83.08%

--Love the website motto stupid questions are easiest to solve I am running Win x on a newly installed non-laptop MSI ZH A-G motherboard with i - I spent a couple of days ensuring that I had device" unplugged" "device Thumb "unknown drive installed all of Thumb drive "unknown device" "device unplugged" the drivers including the chipset facilitated by MSI s LiveUpdate I have a simple USB thumb drive I take it to my roommate s VISTA computer--it plugs in just fine I cleaned rewrote read I did a check for errors scan in properties it is FAT formatted with default allocation size I plug it into my computer detailed at top I am not even getting a common problem-- quot unrecognized USB device quot It does not even know that it is USB apparently--I get an error box from the system tray TITLED Driver Software Installation Device driver software was not successfully installed ---- unknown device fat red X Device unplugged unidentified device fat red X Device unplugged ---- nonsense help links from MSFT CLOSE box SIDE-EFFECTS There is a small led on the thumb drive that shines steady assumably indicating something is wrong nevertheless power is present normally it flashes on and off a couple of times when recognized on VISTA computer yes I tried multiple USB plugins on front and back of tower-case I hear an audible quot g-dunk quot sound every second The Device Manager window though functional and operational briefly flashes in response to every g-dunk a second later INTERESTINGLY I finally tried plugging the non-USB -year-old device into either of my USB ports I get no error window no install no function no side-effects except the led illumination ATTEMPTED Multiple google searches and tech forums I ran sfc -- microsoft s system file checker The device cannot be enabled disabled uninstall drivers--not present in Device Manager I SHOWED hidden devices including the simple CMD prompt to SHOW Uninstalled the USB Root Hubs and Generic USB Hubs in Device Manager rebooted MSI CommandCenter shows all voltages stable Voltage also stable V V CPU-IO Vcore I even contacted PNY manufacturer for advice--they responded that this is a simple USB device and there are no device drivers manufacturer-specific to this USB thumb drive Since I admitted that it works in roommate s system--they blame the other system--soft or hardware nbsp

Relevancy 107.93%

This is annoying. I logged onto my network at work with our home laptop--changed it to a domain logon. I then changed it back to logon to my home network as a workgroup and it keeps showing a mapped drive as "disconnected", yet the drive is connected. It also shows a little "arrow" on the network drive as oppossed to a red X and its definitely mapped (see jpeg below). I've disconnected and reconected it with no success. When the computer first boots up, it says it is no longer connected to my desktop computer. Also, when I log off, it attempts to synchronize with the network drive (I have "My Documents" on the laptop assigned to the desktop "My Documents".

How do I fix this?

A:Mapped Network Drive displays as "Disconnected Network Drive"

I'm having the dame problem, did you ever get a solution?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/mapped-network-drive-displays-as-disconnected-network-drive.427058/
Relevancy 107.07%

Hi I m trying to reinstall my sister s scanner driver because XP has decided that it s not there any more This happens occasionally and usually reinstalling the driver fixes it I think that s what I did last time but this time i just can t get it to work If i unplug the USB cable then plug it in again it comes up with a message saying that the device has malfunctioned and it doesn t recognize it I have the driver CD but windows always manages to install it as quot Unknown device quot before i can tell it to search the CD I ve tried telling it to reinstall the driver from - Stubborn Device" and "Unknown "Malfunctioned Scanner Device" Driver the CD but it says that there are quot no better matches for this device quot I ve also tried uninstalling the program form the Stubborn Scanner Driver - "Malfunctioned Device" and "Unknown Device" CD and reinstalling it then restarting the pc but that didn t help either I tried plugging it into another USB port as suggested by Windows Help Center but that still didn t work It s not often that something like this gets me in a circle and scratching my head but I m really starting to run out of ideas Any help would be very appreciated i just want to get this thing running again nbsp

A:Stubborn Scanner Driver - "Malfunctioned Device" and "Unknown Device"

Could it be that the scanner really did die?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/stubborn-scanner-driver-malfunctioned-device-and-unknown-device.93409/
Relevancy 105.35%

I have a customized Asus M A -M system with - Phenom quad core CPU GHz - GB RAM - BluRay amp DVD R W optical drives - W Antec power supply - disks drive - Vertex GB SSD quot drive - Toshiba GB quot drive - White Label TB quot drive - Seagate TB ST AS just upgraded drive firmware to CC from CC -Multiboot Windows Ultimate OpenSUSE tumbleweed linux Linux Mint Windows Windows Home Premium OpenSUSE v My boot loader is grub with a nice custom boot menu using this background image The issue is the Seagate drive is listed as an quot unknown device quot under Windows Ultimate OS along with other volumes despite the fact it works OK when I boot Windows Home Premium Haven't gotten Windows to boot yet so don't know about that but its just fine under all of the Linux OSs too I have all of these backed up using Macrium on a TB external USB also All of the UUIDs for each disk and partition volume are unique as reported by gparted under Linux Having an issue "unknown for standard Issue resolve drive device" 2: 1 SATA Can't with Windows but I'm saving that Issue 2: Can't resolve "unknown device" for 1 standard SATA drive for a separate thread The Seagate was showing up OK before the FW and RAM update I may have confused the Win Ultimate OS when I had to remove the CMOS battery to reset mobo and I forget to switch the SATA ports to AHCI mode Win Ult booted up but many volumes weren't recognized When I discovered and fixed the move items shown as quot unknown quot starting with the Seagate drive explicitly labeled and other drives presumable the other NTFS partitions on that same drive For a map of the partitions on all of the drives see my Issue Can't boot Windows on multiboot system thread

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/388839-issue-2-cant-resolve-unknown-device-1-standard-sata-drive.html
Relevancy 105.35%

Hi.

I have a dell 8400 running XP Sp 3. For some time now I have not been able to read my thumb drives. When I plug them in it simply returns "Unknown Device" error. I have deleted the usb ports and let XP rediscover them as well as having reloaded the chipset firmware. Still nothing. The thumb drives work fine on other systems and other usb devices (printers keyboard & mouse) work fine. Any ideas out there?

A:USB Thumb Drive -- Returns "Unknown Device" error

I'm assuming you've tested other USB devices in the ports, and the ports do work?

Have you checked the Removable Storage section in Computer Management?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/usb-thumb-drive-returns-unknown-device-error-418184.html
Relevancy 103.63%

I have been using my flash drive until about two weeks ago when now they are recognized as flash drives. When I look at the device manager, is says they are "unknown device". What can start this and what is the fix?

A:USB Drive listed as "unknown device"

The drivers could have become corrupt...try reinstalling the drivers for that FLASH Drive

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/usb-drive-listed-as-unknown-device.879266/
Relevancy 103.63%

Recently I have not been able to access my flash drive from the USB ports. Whn I check the device manager I can see the drive but it is listed as unknown device. What would be a good fix? I am using XP.

Relevancy 102.77%

I am using Windows 7 on my laptop and I have question about when to use "Home", "Work" and "Public" profile.

If I am logging in without setting password, and I am logging in network with "Public" profile, then will any other user, who can see my computer, be able to enter my computer and check the contents on my computer ?

I am connecting to a network and there are 6 other users connected to this network. In the set network location window, if I select the netwoek as "Home", does it mean that other 6 users will not be able to see my computer on network and if I use "Public", then all other six users will be able to see my computer on network ?

Thanks

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/when-to-use-home-work-or-public-profile-while-connecting-to-network-478413.html
Relevancy 98.47%

I m experiencing slim keyboard not being recognized in the Windows The keyboard was working fine until just one day it just stopped working I tried factory reset literally times along with most recent BIOS update and dell s recommended update software power setting -- gt disabling power saving on USB It still come up as unrecognized each [Code "Unknown keyboard slim Request 11 43] Descriptor (Device USB Pro Failed)" Device Venue time even with fresh reinstall I was wondering if this is a hardware issue or just software bug from factory reset I don t think there is a available driver for this kind of problem is there Log Name nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP ConfigurationSource nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnPDate nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp PMEvent ID nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp Task Category NoneLevel nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp Venue 11 Pro slim keyboard "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)" [Code 43] nbsp ErrorKeywords nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp User nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp SYSTEMComputer nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp DellDescription Device USB VID amp PID amp b a amp amp had a problem starting Driver Name usb infClass Guid fc e -c - cf- - strong strong Service nbsp Lower Filters nbsp Upper Filters nbsp Problem x BStatus x nbsp

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19987892
Relevancy 98.47%

i don't know if i am missing something or it is a bug on w10.
i click "add new bluetooth device" and then i can pair a lumia, ok. i can see my phone in "join personal area network" window.
if i try to pair the phone from "join personal area network" window i can see it in bluetooth devices list but not in "join personal area network" window.
so... it is a bug?! did i make anything wrong?! what is the difference between "add new bluetooth device" and "join personal area network" on w10?! what is "join personal area network" used for?!
thanks

A:"add new bluetooth device" vs "join personal area network"

Most likely a bug with your Windows phone, not Windows 10. Microsoft is not supporting the Lumia line that well. It does help when you ask for help, that you also post the model of the phone, what OS version it is running, along with screenshots or logs of what is wrong.

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/39561-add-new-bluetooth-device-vs-join-personal-area-network.html
Relevancy 98.04%

The hard drive is a Western Digital 320 GB that I've had plugged into this computer before (and worked). Then i got a virus and had to do a recovery of windows.

Ever since then I can't get windows to recognize/show it in my computer. I just "disabled" and "enabled" it in device manager to no effect. I have a C, D, and E drive which are: two partitions on the hard drive, and then the CD drive (respectively).

So i'm stuck, not sure where to proceed since it's obviously not the hard drive itself, I use it on my xbox all the time. What next?

A:External Hard Drive doesn't show up in "my computer" but does in "device manager"

Does it show in Disk Management ? ?
Right clik My Computer...select Manage...then Disk Management.
Find the drive...right clik it and select Properties.
Report back with your findings.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/276295-external-hard-drive-doesnt-show-up-my-computer-but-does-device-manager.html
Relevancy 97.18%

This is a question for information about why my networking problem finally was resolved I have four PC s on my network one Windows and three Windows XP The Windows PC always sees all three of the other computers However the Windows XP computers sometimes don t see the other XP computers when I press My Network Places Quite by accident I discovered that "View when Network Places" Why "My does Workgroup Computers" doesn't? work if I press View Workgroup Computers then ALL the other PC s in the network DO show up Furthermore if I click through quot View Workgroup Computers quot and access edit a file on one of the other computers then this computer will ALSO show up in My Network Places This behavior seems to be quite consistent and works every time I have tried it Apparently this is a workaround to the long vexing problem of why Why does "View Workgroup Computers" work when "My Network Places" doesn't? my networked PC s sometimes don t show up under My Network Places My question why does View Workgroup Computers apparently always show all the networked PC s when My Network Places does so only intermittently or sometimes not at all Thanks for Why does "View Workgroup Computers" work when "My Network Places" doesn't? any response Why does "View Workgroup Computers" work when "My Network Places" doesn't?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/why-does-view-workgroup-computers-work-when-my-network-places-doesnt-487868.html
Relevancy 96.32%

Hi,

On a fresh clean Windows 8 image, my software driver (signed) installs fine and shows up properly in the Device Manager. However once i uninstall it , subsequent reinstalls show up as 'Unknown Device' in the Device Manager.

From the device details, I find that it refers to /looks for the .inf file in c:\windows\inf folder but the file itself is missing from the location. The FileRepository has all the required files. But trying to update from there also fails.

Could anyone help me with troubleshooting this problem. What could be going wrong.

Thx,
Gita

A:Device manager shows "Unknown Device" on reinstallation of driver

Please fill your system specs to get help efficiently.
What is your computer make/model?

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/9796-device-manager-shows-unknown-device-reinstallation-driver.html
Relevancy 96.32%

Hello I not USB Front Ports Device Device" in Manager - Working "Unknown recently put together a new computer and in the process of of installing the USB connector from the front of my GX case I either bent numerous pins on the motherboard USB header or the motherboard shipped Front USB Ports not Working - "Unknown Device" in Device Manager that way and I inadvertently made matters worse Anyway that header on the motherboard is without a doubt unusable Since I don t really need the USB functionality I bought a USB - gt adapter cable connected one end to the connector on the front of the case and the other end into the USB header on the motherboard Unfortunately when Windows boots and I plug a device into the front ports of the case Windows detects the front USB ports as quot Unknown Device quot within Device Manager yet says the driver is successfully installed I ve already downloaded the most current Intel chipset drivers for my motherboard deleted and reinstalled all USB drivers and all rear USB connections are working perfectly fine - it s just the two front ports that are connected from the case to the USB ports via the adapter cable nbsp I ve tried both USB headers on the motherboard and I ve tried plugging in several devices to the front USB ports and this problem still persists I ve ensured the connection inside the case is solid yet I cannot get Windows to recognize the front USB ports nbsp However I have confirmed that power is being sent to the front ports because it charges my phone when I connect it to the front USB ports via micro USB connection nbsp As a result I m inclined to think this is a driver issue rather than a hardware issue nbsp Any ideas

A:Front USB Ports not Working - "Unknown Device" in Device Manager

Do you happen to have a spare machine that you can test the adapter with?  Just as a precaution in case the adapter is faulty.

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,153104.0.html
Relevancy 96.32%

On My Windows quot Home quot desktop I utilize a Buffalo NAS for my backups and music storage for my SONOS music system The brilliant Backupprogram I use is called Allway Sync http allwaysync com that requires the drives to be accessible for it to work The issue is when the Drives "Wake Network Up" won't Mapped computer is initially turned on the Mapped drives for example DESKTOP BACKUP-NAS NAS-MRM X all have a Red colored X over the icon of the drive on the far left of Mapped Network Drives won't "Wake Up" each of the mapped network drives All three of the network drive letters reside on the same NAS I can awake them by clicking directly on each X and the X disappears and the drive is then accessible An internet search reveals many others with this same problem and an inquiry to Buffalo tells me it s of Mapped Network Drives won't "Wake Up" course a Microsoft Issue The SONOS System is not affected as it looks at the NAS directly Not through the computer Any thoughts on how to solve this will be appreciated nbsp

A:Mapped Network Drives won't "Wake Up"

Hi Marc,

Sorry, I'm not going to be able to help you with this one, but I do have exactly the same problem with the backup software I use.(Shadow) and my Western Digital NAS Drive.

Maybe we can both get fixed at the same time.

Regards,

Paul

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/mapped-network-drives-wont-wake-up.1087072/
Relevancy 96.32%

I used a DriveWire - Universal Hard Drive Adapter IDE PATA SATA to USB HDD Adapter to hook up A quot Hard Drive Samsung model HD HJ to my desktop in an attempt to get my wife's files off her old desktop machine and merge Drive Hard ready",won't Initialized", recognize "Not "device is not them into mine It all started off fine the drive was recognized and I could see the files Hard Drive "Not Initialized", "device is not ready",won't recognize when I plugged in the USB cord I started a NOD scan of the drive and a few minutes later a spark flew off my power strip and the fuse blew - looks like a Hard Drive "Not Initialized", "device is not ready",won't recognize letter opener shorted between two of the plugs I think I killed the hard drive I replaced the power strip and started everything back up The drive spins but no longer is recognized by the computer when Hard Drive "Not Initialized", "device is not ready",won't recognize plugged in no drive letter for it Under Disk Management I see the disk listed as quot unknown quot and quot not initialized quot Originally I had the option to right click and select quot Initialize quot and I was given option to use two partitiion styles MBR or GPT I tried both to no avail and get the quot device is not ready quot message I can right click select quot Offline quot and get the same message right-click quot Properties quot say the device is working properly I plugged in another drive on the hard drive adapter and it works so it's not the vault of the adapter I try the same setup on my laptop and get the same results So I'm pretty sure I killed the drive I just care about getting pictures and documents off it Any advise I know there are data recovery services out there that can probably help me but I'd rather not pay the big bucks if I can avoid that

A:Hard Drive "Not Initialized", "device is not ready",won't recognize

If you have killed the drive, there isn't very much you do about it. Even experts cannot sometimes recover anything, and it's just a wast of money.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/267704-hard-drive-not-initialized-device-not-ready-wont-recognize.html
Relevancy 96.32%

When I use the netsh command to set and start the "Hosted Network", I can set the settings fine, but starting the hosted network yields "The hosted network couldn't be started. The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation.". I have already tried the fix where you enable the "Virtual Adapter" device in device manager, but it did not change anything.
On the flip side, using the "Mobile Hotspot" option inside of the settings starts fine and works correctly.
I am running Windows 10 Pro x64 Anniversary Edition (build 14393) on a Dell Inspiron 7558. The wireless networking card is dual-band 802.11ac.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10/443964-why-does-mobile-hotspot-work-but-not-netsh-hosted-network.html
Relevancy 95.46%

Hello All,

I've recently moved my music folder to a mapped drive, and this is the result in Windows Explorer:

EWWWWWWWWWWWWW! How do I fix this?

Thank you,
Michael

A:Mapped Music Drive == "WRONG ICON!"

that is the icon for a mapped drive it is the correct icon,

but you should be able to change it by, right clicking on it and selecting properties, and than change icon.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/239019-mapped-music-drive-wrong-icon.html
Relevancy 95.03%

quot no audio device "No -- sound playback card "no "no device" -- audio found" was device" quot quot no playback device quot quot No Sound Card was found quot ok I m stuck puzzled I recently had a professional computer fix it company wipe my computer and now I do not have any "No audio device" -- "no playback device" -- "no sound card was found" sound I do not have even the little icon "No audio device" -- "no playback device" -- "no sound card was found" on the bottom left hand corner "No audio device" -- "no playback device" -- "no sound card was found" to turn volume up or down My keyboard does not allow me to turn the volume up or down it seems unresponsive to volume but does light up on the screen showing VOLUME but of course there is no volume I am computer illiterate and thirsty for answers Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional Build Media Center Edition Version Service Pack System Manufacturer HP Pavilion System Model Enclosure Type Desktop RC AA-ABA a n BIOS Phoenix - AwardBIOS v PG Processor Intel R Core TM CPU GHz CPUs Memory MB RAM DirectX Version DirectX c Control Panel gt Sounds and Audio Devices gt Volume indicates quot no sound quot and Device Volume is all the way to LOW and everything is GREY and untouchable unchangeable Control Panel gt Sounds and Audio Devices gt Audio indicates quot no playback devices quot on Sound Playback Sound recording is working fine as I use skype many times but I can not hear the other party but they can hear me just fine Starting with the BIOS I went into Audio and made sure this was enabled it was downloaded installed Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio and downloaded installed REALTEK AC Audio the DEVICE MANAGER gt system speaker says there are no drivers installed for this device Device Manager shows NO yellow flags DEVICE MANAGER gt Sound video and game controllers has gt ATI Function Driver for High Definition Audio - ATI AA gt Audio Codecs gt Legacy Audio Codecs gt Legacy Video Capture Devices gt Media Control Devices gt USB Audio Device gt Video Codecs Checking all hardware reveals that all devices Audio Codecs Legacy Audio Devices Media Control Devices etc are working properly I have tried the Windows XP trouble shooting menus without success I have RUN gt typed in quot services msc then checked Windows Audio gt General verified that Start up type is quot Automatic quot and even gt Windows Audio gt Restart the Service on all failures yet still no sound I have checked the speakers and it seems like there is noise static coming out but i can only hear it if earplugs are plugged in so it seems that the connection is fine after RUN gt typing in quot dxdiag quot DIRECTXDIAGNOSTIC TOOL gt Sound it reads under notes quot No sound card was found If one is expected you should install a sound driver provided bv the hardware manufacturer quot This is where I get fuzzy and lost Do I need a new sound card installed Is that the problem I would be grateful for any advice that could be offered Please speak in laymans terms and explain in detail your directions Thank you kindly nbsp

A:"No audio device" -- "no playback device" -- "no sound card was found"

STLj said:

<snip>
after RUN>
typing in "dxdiag"
DIRECTXDIAGNOSTIC TOOL>Sound
it reads under notes,
"No sound card was found. If one is expected, you should install a sound driver provided bv the hardware manufacturer".

This is where I get fuzzy and lost. Do I need a new sound card installed? Is that the problem?Click to expand...

That dxdiag "no sound card" message is misleading as I've found it says that if no driver OR sound card. I think you're missing the right driver

Also, it would seem from your post you have High Definition (HD) audio. Which means you'll need to find the right High Definition audio driver. (AC97 pre-dates HD audio so the Realtek AC97 couldn't be right)

Try starting on the HP support website HERE and enter your model number or they have a button where they'll try to identify your product and drivers for your model. They should list an HD audio driver there

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-audio-device-no-playback-device-no-sound-card-was-found.177518/
Relevancy 94.6%

we have created a batch file to copy files and to run at a specific interval ...

we did this since we cant get our java script to recognize mapped network drives ...

we want to connect to a as/400 as our source and another as/400 as our target ...

the machine to run the script is running win nt4.0

do you guys have any other solutions or tips ?

A:network "mapped" drives

If its working good then I don't see any reason to change it. Is there a reason your wanting to change this or create a new solution?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/network-mapped-drives.396941/
Relevancy 94.6%

I m using computers in a workgroup with a shared drive on one of them I will Help: files mapped "Missing" on drive a refer to my computer as Computer A and the quot remote quot computer as Computer B My problem is this I can view most files on the mapped drive on Computer B from Computer A However in some of the subfolders I can only view some of the files Computer A and Computer B are both running Windows XP w SP I m mapping the drive using a local administrator s account on Computer B I ve played around with permissions but I really don t think this problem is permission related My arguement against the possibility of permissions restricting my ability to view some files is because I ve built the OS on Computer A with Windows Server and this symptom doesn t recur in that environment I recently rebuilt the system with Windows XP SP again and the behavior returned Any thoughts C d Warr r beatpoet hotmail com nbsp

A:Help: "Missing" files on a mapped drive

Solution to "Missing" files

Well guys, I figured out my problem and wanted to put the solution into the forum. I hope this helps someone before they get as frustrated as me

Open a Windows Explorer Window ->
goto the Tools menu ->
Click Folder Options ->
Click the View tab ->
Scroll down to the bottom and deselect "Use simple file sharing (Recommended)." ->
Click OK, and your done. You should be able to view all files that are located on the mapped drive.

C0d3Warr10r

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-missing-files-on-a-mapped-drive.43299/
Relevancy 94.17%

I have added a SATA drive to my Vista machine that was once loaded with Win XP, the Device Manager does pick it up as well as Disk Management, but under Disk Management it states the drive is "Unknown" and "unreadable" I also do not have any options once I right click on the "Unallocated" area.

I just want this disk formatted and used as extra storage, I did load the Vista DVD and tried to load it on this disk but I got an error as well.

This drive works fine if I put it back in the machine it came from.

A:"Unknown" and "Unreadable" disk drive

Check BIOS settings for RAID and SATA. It may need to be tweaked.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/unknown-and-unreadable-disk-drive.683755/
Relevancy 94.17%

I have added a SATA drive to my Vista machine that was once loaded with Win XP, the Device Manager does pick it up as well as Disk Management, but under Disk Management it states the drive is "Unknown" and "unreadable" I also do not have any options once I right click on the "Unallocated" area.

I just want this disk formatted and used as extra storage, I did load the Vista DVD and tried to load it on this disk but I got an error as well.

A:"Unknown" and "Unreadable" disk drive

Download and run the disk manufacturer's utility to partition and format this drive. That should find the drive and do the job for you.

You didn't say what brand of drive it was, so I can't point you to the utility, but you can find it with a search of the manufacturer.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/unknown-and-unreadable-disk-drive-222169.html
Relevancy 92.45%

Peace be upon all of you Hello and greetings My laptop is ASUS model A L My CD DVD drive was working fine until one moment it disappeared from both quot This PC quot folder as well as from quot Device Manager quot It happened while I was burning a CD with Ashampoo Burning Studio My current OS is Windows as from "My "Device & missing CD/DVD PC" Drive Manager" what it was as when I purchased this laptop and I do not CD/DVD Drive missing from "My PC" & "Device Manager" upgrade downgrade to any other OS I went through searching the internet for the solutions for weeks but failed to solve the problem Among the suggestions found on the internet is to delete the upper and lower class filters but mine is not involved as it does not have any entry that says upper or lower class to begin with Another suggestions that I had tried was the addition of the CD/DVD Drive missing from "My PC" & "Device Manager" following in the Registry reg exe add quot HKLM System CurrentControlSet Services atapi Controller quot f v EnumDevice t REG DWORD d x quot I did the registry entry of the above by command prompt admin as well as manually in the regedit but failed to produce the results Initially when this problem occurred the item CD DVD Drive was still visible in the Device Manager but under the quot Show CD/DVD Drive missing from "My PC" & "Device Manager" hidden devices quot option turned on The information below was gotten from the properties of the device Currently this hardware device is not connected to the computer Code To fix this problem reconnect this hardware device to the computer My optical drive is an internal built-in with laptop drive not disconnectable drive by normal means Another suggestion that I found on the internet is to uninstall the CD DVD Drive in the Device Manager as it claimed to automatically reinstall the drive upon OS restart However the drive did not reinstalled on itself and now the CD DVD Drive even permanently disappeared from the Device Manager Another suggestion that I found on the internet is to set the boot options in the UEFI settings to prioritize CD DVD but no options for booting via CD DVD is present there Last suggestion that I found was to reinstall the CD DVD Driver downloaded from the manufacturer site However I failed to find the driver installer provided in the ASUS Support sites Additional information regarding my CD DVD Drive is as follows The physical CD DVD drive tray is able to be opened normally via the side button The following informations are gotten from the device properties before it went disappeared SCSI CDROM amp VEN HL-DT-ST amp PROD DVDRAM GUC N amp E B D amp amp HL-DT-STDVDRAM GUC N A Any helps would be appreciated Regards

A:CD/DVD Drive missing from "My PC" & "Device Manager"

First, there are no drivers for CD/DVD drives except the built in Windows drivers.

Since the device is not being detected by Windows, either there is some type of hardware problem or the BIOS is not detecting it (If the BIOS does not detect the drive, Windows will not detect it).

A BIOS reset is the easiest thing to do. Most BIOS have an option to reset it to the defaults. I would try this first.

If the BIOS reset does not fix it, there is some type of hardware problem. Whether its a connection problem for the drive (there are two connectors, data connection and power connection) either at the drive end or at the controller end (motherboard end). Or if the drive itself has failed. Unfortunately with a Laptop, accessing the connectors may require complete disassembly of the laptop.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/72578-cd-dvd-drive-missing-my-pc-device-manager.html
Relevancy 92.02%

Hi Friends
in my win7 i have this unknown device

i have another windows 8.1 and there is no unknown device. this means It's only in windows7.

please help me to solve it. because i think this problem bring some error in HDMI.
when i use Laptop I haven't any Lag, but after connect with HDMI to TV, Lags appear.even in Game & Movies.
& ONLY in windows 7. no in windows 8.1.

thanks

A:"Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller" Unknown in Device Manager Win7

Friends i solved it. it was USB 3 bug. i again install usb 3 driver , restart windows , and ok all.

anyone know about my problem HDMI & Lags?

thanks

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/313425-universal-serial-bus-usb-controller-unknown-device-manager-win7.html
Relevancy 91.59%

Hello I have looked over many many other forums and threads regarding this issue but to no avail have not been able to solve my problem I'm starting to think that some hardware that communicates with my Webcam could be damaged - but I have not given up hope that this could be solved alternatively Here are some of my PC Built-In Working "Unknown Code USB Not Device" 43 Webcam - specs OS Name Microsoft Windows Professional Version Service Pack Build Other OS Description Not Available OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation System Name BRADY-PC System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard System Model HP Pavilion dv Notebook PC System Type x -based PC Processor Intel R Core TM Duo CPU T GHz Mhz Core s Logical Processor s BIOS Version Date Hewlett-Packard F SMBIOS Version Windows Directory C Windows System Directory C Windows system Boot Device Device HarddiskVolume Locale United States Hardware Abstraction Layer Version quot quot My laptop came preinstalled with Windows Vista Home Edition Built-In Webcam Not Working - "Unknown Device" USB Code 43 - I have since upgraded The webcam was functional with both OS Also my BIOS is not updated with the most recent available software F is available I had F and downgraded to F to see if that might solve my issue but it did not I have tried a variety of different things clean boot various installs of the driver uninstalled all of the devices listed in Universal Serial Bus controllers and restarted but again to no avail I'm hoping someone might be able to shed light on my problem I can provide anymore additional information as needed In the device manager where it shows quot Unknown Device quot which I believe to be the built-in webcam as it appeared around the same time the webcam stopped working which is under the Universal Serial Bus controllers I copied all of the information in the Properties - Details tab Here is what is displayed for all of the categories Code Legacy bus type F Bus number Enumerator USB Address Power Data Current power state D Power capabilities PDCAP D SUPPORTED PDCAP D SUPPORTED PDCAP WAKE FROM D SUPPORTED Power state mappings S - gt D S - gt D S - gt D S - gt D S - gt D S - gt D Removal Policy Removal Policy Default Install State Location Paths PCIROOT PCI D USBROOT USB Base Containers ID - - -ffff-ffffffffffff Display Name Unknown Device Device Instance Path USB VID amp PID amp BE B amp amp DevNode Status DN HAS PROBLEM DN DISABLEABLE DN NT ENUMERATOR DN NT DRIVER Problem Code B Parent USB ROOT HUB amp a amp Conatiner Id - - -ffff-ffffffffffff Safe Removal Required lt false gt Driver Node Strong Name usb inf Generic Section NTamd BADDEVICE Dev usb unknown Inf Name C Windows INF usb inf DA - A - - -A F B usb inf Generic Section NTamd BADDEVICE Dev usb unknown Driver Assembly Date PM Driver Assemly Version Drier Assembly Description Unknown Device Inf Name usb inf Inf Section BADDEVICE Dev Inf Section Extension NT Matching Device ID usb unknown Provider Microsoft Rank of Installed Driver FF Class Log name Universal Serial Bus controllers Class Short Name USB No Install Class lt true gt Display Name Universal Serial Bus controllers Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks Kyle

A:Built-In Webcam Not Working - "Unknown Device" USB Code 43

Since your webcam appears to be USB it can be two possiblities

You need to re-install the driver for it, or more likely follow these generic USB fix-it instructions
Tips for solving problems with USB devices

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/205650-built-webcam-not-working-unknown-device-usb-code-43-a.html
Relevancy 91.59%

I'm getting seemingly random blue screens on a regular basis. Blue Screen View blames ntoskrnl.exe, so make of that what you will.

I no good at computer

Installed 3 weeks ago, when the system was built. I didn't build it, the guys I ordered it from did (hardwareversand)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A:Random BSOD, "Unknown Device" error in perfmon

About 1/3 of these crashes are blamed on memory corruption directly. Some of the others indirectly.

These crashes were caused by memory corruption (probably a driver). Please run these two tests to verify your memory and find which driver is causing the problem.

If you are overclocking anything reset to default before running these tests.
In other words STOP!!!
1-Memtest.

Quote:
*Download a copy of Memtest86 and burn the ISO to a CD using Iso Recorder or another ISO burning program. Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

*Boot from the CD, and leave it running for at least 5 or 6 passes.

Just remember, any time Memtest reports errors, it can be either bad RAM or a bad motherboard slot.

Test the sticks individually, and if you find a good one, test it in all slots.

Any errors are indicative of a memory problem.

If a known good stick fails in a motherboard slot it is probably the slot.

RAM - Test with Memtest86+

2-Driver verifier

Quote:
Using Driver Verifier is an iffy proposition. Most times it'll crash and it'll tell you what the driver is. But sometimes it'll crash and won't tell you the driver. Other times it'll crash before you can log in to Windows. If you can't get to Safe Mode, then you'll have to resort to offline editing of the registry to disable Driver Verifier.

I'd suggest that you first backup your data and then make sure you've got access to another computer so you can contact us if problems arise. Then make a System Restore point (so you can restore the system using the Vista/Win7 Startup Repair feature).

In Windows 7 you can make a Startup Repair disk by going to Start....All Programs...Maintenance...Create a System Repair Disc - with Windows Vista you'll have to use your installation disk or the "Repair your computer" option at the top of the Safe Mode menu .

Then, here's the procedure:
- Go to Start and type in "verifier" (without the quotes) and press Enter
- Select "Create custom settings (for code developers)" and click "Next"
- Select "Select individual settings from a full list" and click "Next"
- Select everything EXCEPT FOR "Low Resource Simulation" and click "Next"
- Select "Select driver names from a list" and click "Next"
Then select all drivers NOT provided by Microsoft and click "Next"
- Select "Finish" on the next page.

Reboot the system and wait for it to crash to the Blue Screen. Continue to use your system normally, and if you know what causes the crash, do that repeatedly. The objective here is to get the system to crash because Driver Verifier is stressing the drivers out. If it doesn't crash for you, then let it run for at least 36 hours of continuous operation (an estimate on my part).

If you can't get into Windows because it crashes too soon, try it in Safe Mode.
If you can't get into Safe Mode, try using System Restore from your installation DVD to set the system back to the previous restore point that you created.

Driver Verifier - Enable and Disable
Further Reading
Using Driver Verifier to identify issues with Windows drivers for advanced users

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/208271-random-bsod-unknown-device-error-perfmon.html
Relevancy 91.59%

Hello everyone. Please assist me in fixing this issue.

I have already installed and ran DriverMax. That did not help.

Would appreciate any input, thanks.

A:need help fixing this "unknown device" pictures added

Hi IvoryPearl, welcome the the forums.

Have you tried right-clicking the device in 'Device Manager' and selecting Update Driver Software?

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/9019-need-help-fixing-unknown-device-pictures-added.html
Relevancy 91.59%

My ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 is showing up as a unknown device in device manager and i can't install the driver because it wont install a standard VGA driver

A:Graphics Card Showing up as "Unknown Device"

Hi, welcome to the forums

Are you sure it's a 9600 GFX card? The ATI/AMD site has no mention of anything above the 5xxx series of Mobility drivers?

It seems all info I find on the 9600 relates to XP as the latest OS for it, how old is the machine?

OS

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/121392-graphics-card-showing-up-unknown-device.html
Relevancy 91.59%

My neighbor used the format command on his Compaq Presario 2240 and I installed Windows 95 on it. In the Device Manager I have "!'s" by "ESS ES1688 Audiodrive" and under "Other Devices" an "Unknown Device". There is no sound on this computer. In the ESS ES1688 Audiodrive Properties, under the Resource tab, it says the resources the device is using does not match any of it's known configurations.
Also, there is one under System Devices: "PCI Universal Serial Bus". From what I understand , this is the chipset driver that needs to be installed correctly, but I am unable to find it.

Relevancy 91.59%

I have a BIIIIIIG problem with my Epson DX The message quot Unknown Device quot is received when I plug the device in the laptop through the USB port I tried every single method described on this forum Epson "Unknown recognised as dx5050 Device" and other I don t know what else to do The device appears as an Unknown Device in the Device manager no matter what I do printer on printer off cable plugged unplugged I really don t know what to do PLS help I have a Compaq Presario V with an AMD processor and USB ports both of witch are working with other devices I didn t find the latest drivers Epson dx5050 recognised as "Unknown Device" for the motherboard on the official web site as was suggested Epson dx5050 recognised as "Unknown Device" by an user All may USB items under quot Universal Serial Bus Controllers quot are standard after i Installed everything on the DVD that came with the Laptop Do you guys think it could be the Epson dx5050 recognised as "Unknown Device" cable the cable is brand new I need your advice badly or this thing is out the window nbsp

Relevancy 91.59%

My USB stick has suddenly just started saying "unknown device" when i plug it into my laptop. i don't know why it's suddenly just started saying it, but i've plugged it into my brothers laptop and it still says the same thing. I have no idea what to do and all my gcse work is on it and i haven't got it saved anywhere else so i'm really desperate for a solution. PLEASE HELP ME :'(

A:USB Memory Stick just started saying "unknown device"

How is it reported in Disk Management ? ?
Right clik My Computer...select Manage...then Disk Management...
Right clik the USB stik and select Properties...
If it says "RAW" then it's been unplugged prematurely 1 too many times and your data may be gone...

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/194037-usb-memory-stick-just-started-saying-unknown-device.html
Relevancy 91.59%

IBM ThinkCentre A50 8320-7EG, Windows XP

Just reformatted and reinstalled, lists the ethernet, audio and video as 'unknown devices' (ethernet at least definately worked fine before reformat). All integrated with the motherboard.

Have tried to install drivers from the disk, downloaded from the IBM website and from driver packs but nothing has had any effect, using the wizard it won't recognise any drivers, installing the alleged drivers manually it says they have installed on the installation wizard thing, but nothing's changed with the device in device manager.

I assume somehow I must have the wrong drivers, but not sure how this could be the case, or really what else I can try.

Thanks very much for any help!!

Jacqui

Relevancy 91.16%

Hi so currently i have a problem every time i click on a launcher this message appears quot The drive or network connection that the shortcut 'Planetside lnk' refers to is unavailable Make sure that the disk is properly inserted or the network the "the that network "lnk" or cut unavail".... short connection drive resource is available and then try again quot "the drive or network connection that the short cut "lnk" unavail".... please refer to the attachment to see the message for yourself Additional information the harddrive TB that i am using for the computer has been split into two drives The quot C quot drives usually contain necessary programs for a standard computer and the quot D quot drives has all my "the drive or network connection that the short cut "lnk" unavail".... games planetside is one of them work music and so on After seeing that message above appear for the first time today i also "the drive or network connection that the short cut "lnk" unavail".... realised that my quot D quot has also disappear completelt vanished so basically every shortcut that is source from that drive is not working I dont think it is anything to do with the wiring as the quot C quot drive is still there it is part of the same hard drive I have look at other post saying reinstall the program bla bla bla But that isn't my main problem at this moment the major problem is taht i dont have that secondary drive anymore so even if i can reinstall the program where will i put it my major program drive quot C quot is almost full and this drive have other important document in it so i cant really reinstall that S Please help me out its really urgent and just an FYI my knowledge with computer is really limited so it would help if you guys can dumb it down for me thank you for your help

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/392666-drive-network-connection-short-cut-lnk-unavail.html
Relevancy 90.73%

In my new Windows XP installation, I am getting the Unknown Device found" at startup and cannot get rid of it.

I tried letting it find it's own drivers and it did not find any. Next, I put in the CD's that came with my motherboard, video card, and monitor and apparently, it is not part of any of them.

The message they give does not even give a hint about what type of "device" they have supposedly found so it does not really do me any good.

I removed the unknown device through the control panel but it came back.

Is there software somewhere that will identify what Windows is finding?

Thanks

A:"Unknown Device" found at startup

Try this:

http://www.gold-software.com/UnknownDeviceIdentifier-review12752.htm

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/unknown-device-found-at-startup.490262/
Relevancy 90.73%

I don't know when and how i got these two unkown devices in Device Manager. I tried to update them with automatic updates over the internet and with some CDs but failed. I hope someone can help me resolve this problem.

A:Troubleshooting "Unknown Device" Windows XP

Make sure all your devices are connected and powered on
Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post
On the other hand, if no devices are listed, tell me so

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/troubleshooting-unknown-device-windows-xp.153150/
Relevancy 90.73%

HP Pavilion dv5
Core 2 duo P7350 @2.00ghz
4gb ram
64bit
Vista Home

I get an unknown device warning in my device manager. It is for my graphics card. I click reinstall driver. It finds the driver but says it encounters a problem when installing. Its says: Nvidia GeForce 9200M GS access denied. I downloaded new drivers from Nvidia, installed them, restarted, no good. Tried uninstalling the device, restarting, installing driver = no good. Any thoughts?

A:"Unknown device" -can't find Nvidia

Hi Panzer 25, if you right click on your driver installer and select properties then general tab is there an option to "unblock" ? if there isnt this isnt the problem otherwise all i can suggest is downloading the latest HP distributed driver as they are modified to suit your machine HP Support & Drivers i know with my laptop i have had trouble with Nvidea drivers & always had to use the HP distributed ones

If you dicide to go with the Hp drivers download the Chipset & Graphics drivers & save to your desktop

Disable your resident protection (antivirus etc)

Uninstall your graphics driver first & reboot

Then your chipset driver & reboot

Then install chipset driver first & reboot

Then your grapics driver second & reboot

Renable your Resident protection

(When running the installers right click on them & select Run as Administrator)

I hope this is of some help

http://www.vistax64.com/graphic-cards/260611-unknown-device-cant-find-nvidia.html
Relevancy 90.73%

Hi I working in a company with approx computers on hundreds of locations and to often the peripherals such as printers scanners and keyboard end up in peripheral "Unknown often Device" in Computers state quot Unknown Device quot and I have no clue of why Some info - The are different drivers Computers peripheral often in "Unknown Device" for the various peripherals - It is HP computers with PosReady x installed on it - The network is limited so they can only access certain webpages Computers peripheral often in "Unknown Device" therefore driver installation from windows update is not working - This happens to computers that are heavily used and for those are not The quot Fix quot is sometime to just plug out and in the USB-connector or in case of a printer just reboot it and sometime you have to reinstall the drivers After that it works but it comes back again after a while Happened to computers so far I have no clue how to troubleshoot this Any ideas how to start troubleshoot Where to look I can't reproduce the problem in a lab Thanks

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/c09d57bf-267b-4726-a901-4f63f199afc9/computers-peripheral-often-in-quotunknown-devicequot?forum=w7itproinstall
Relevancy 90.73%

Upgraded to Vista a few days Device" "Unknown Wireless Links ago on the lower right taskbar where the double displays are it said I had no connection I checked to see that my adapter was plugged Links Wireless "Unknown Device" in It was Step by step I tried to open the wireless connection None shown Tried to do a repair No dice Went into Control Panel Device Manager Network Adapters It showed the Linksys adapter Tried to update driver The best driver for your device is already installed At this point in went back to Control Panel did an uninstall of Linksys wireless adapter after finishing I restarted the PC Inserted the Install CD after install directed to connect the adapter However double PC display on task bar still states I do not have a connection I go back to Device Manager Network adapters It is not there However I noticed under other devices that it shows a device that is unknown I click on properties Linksys Wireless G Adapter from there I update driver Now under Network adapters it shows Linksys Adapter There is no longer anything under Other Devices My task bar shows I have signal Problem solved Temporarily yes However every single time I shut down and log back on I have to repeat all of the above steps This is getting really annoying and I just don t know what to do at this point I am hoping that someone can help me figure out why I only have a problem after Windows does an update nbsp

A:Links Wireless "Unknown Device"

First off, don't fool with the fonts to make them so small us old guys can't read them!

Next, how about a paragraph or two, it's almost impossible to read the tiny type, add to that the amorphous blob of text, and it's even worse.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/links-wireless-unknown-device.895512/
Relevancy 90.73%

My Toshiba Satellite M70 laptop shows the following in the Device Manager (Connection View)

Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Embedded Controller
? Unknown device
? Unknown device
? Unknown device

At the same time, whenever I plug any USB device into any of the three USB ports the computer freezes and has to be manually rebooted. The Windows Task Manager using CTRL-ALT-DEL can't be accessed.

The Device Manager says the USB ports are working normally.

I have updated the drivers but continue to get the same results. The update terminates with a message that a driver can not be found.

Other than not being able to use the USB ports the machine works fine. Thank goodness for "cloud" backups.
On line searches have produced no clear solutions. Any help would be appreciated.

A:MS ACPI CONTROLLER --"Unknown Device"

That's a core Windows component. You can try using Windows update or you can possibly just uninstall the device, reboot, and let Windows install the drivers. Aside from that, you will likely need to perform a Repair install (if you have an actual Windows CD) or a Restore.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ms-acpi-controller-unknown-device.1087414/
Relevancy 90.73%

Hi, I'm new to the forum.

I downloaded Avast! 5.0 today. While completing installation, a window popped indicating that my system recognized new hardware and required a driver. I cancelled out of it; continued with installation and completed serial number installation.
On rebooting, the system again recognized new hardware and wanted the drivers.
An annoyance, so I went into device manager and saw that I now had an "unknown device" listing. When I sought more details, it listed the device under Device Instance Id as ROOT\LEGACY_AVAST!_ANTIVIRUS\0000

How do I remove this "Device" and could there be consequences for doing so?

Thanks,
Al

A:New software created "Unknown Device"

think its scanner driver so you should not have cancelled out of it , if you reinstall avast it should give you an option to repair if not just reinstall it

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/new-software-created-unknown-device.970830/
Relevancy 90.73%

"Unknown device" 2 yellow question marks in ctrl panel/system/hardware/ device. Is there a simple way to identify these units, so I can install drivers? I hate them.

thanks

A:"Unknown device" repair required

Sure, Try the Unknown Device Identifier.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/unknown-device-repair-required-432137.html
Relevancy 90.73%

Hello I`m new here, I searched this forum for something similar to my issue but didn`t find anything.

I have set up an old PC for my daughter for learning and playing reasons (older games).

I couldn`t find any driver for my motherboard for windows 7, so I used vista 32bit instead.

My issue is, that one internal usb-port had not been recognized by system, status is "unknown device, code 43". The chipset driver are installed, everything else too.
My system is:

motherboard: ASUS M2N-MX bios:1004
RAM: 2 GB DDR2
Graphics: NVIDIA 8600GTS PCI-e
cpu: AMD Athlon x64 4050e

all on Windows 7 Enterprise

The funny thing is, that all outside ports are working properly, all internal except of this one (Port_#0005.Hub_#0001) also.
On this board no device is connected, the only usb-device now running is keyboard and mouse.
Coud ther be an issue with windows 7 and usb/power management?

A:internal USB port žs "unknown device"

Welcome to SF!

You tried to solve the problem via Windows Update?!
Have you tried uninstalling the device and reinstall it?! If you have not tried,
right click on the device marked as unknown, go to properties and then to the Driver tab. There, click uninstall. If asked if you also want to uninstall the driver, uninstall it. That done, reboot the system. Windows tries to install the device again - I recommend that the PC is connected to the internet during this process.
If in any case the problem persists, download the drivers compatible with Windows Vista here: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

Let us know the results!

"PLEASE REP ANYONE WHO HELPS YOU"

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/99113-internal-usb-port-unknown-device.html
Relevancy 90.73%

I have a vista basic toshiba laptop the one I "unknown root name device" Usb assigned hub am using now and I have quot unknown device quot listed as one of my usb hubs in device manager and I can t get rid of it even when I delete that one and the other hubs and do a Usb root hub assigned name "unknown device" restart in safe mode I think the problem first occured what I connected a cent usb cable I bought from the dollar store to my printer I see that they say update your usb drivers on the internet at different sites but I am waiting for my credit card application to be approved to pay for quot Driver Detective quot on the internet hoping it will fix my usb issue I did a system recovery and the quot unknown Device quot is still listed as one of my usb ports with nothing connected I also get the message that one of the devices connected has malfunctioned and windows does not recognize it popping up when no usb device is connected to my laptop I am wondering how to update the usb drivers if the port is labeled quot unknown device quot in device Usb root hub assigned name "unknown device" manager and where I can get free ATI usb driver updates to install and see if that solves my problem I was told by the Geek Squad of Best Buy that I have a problem with the motherboard but I am hoping that is not so because he could not prove it to me Thank You Ron in distress nbsp

A:Usb root hub assigned name "unknown device"

First don't buy any drive detecting software below is a link to a free one

http://www.halfdone.com/Development/...ownDevices.zip

Second although I Hate Geek Squad for being incompetent they may be right this

time which is rare. The link above will let you see the devices installed on your

computer if you have any question's post back

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/usb-root-hub-assigned-name-unknown-device.107092/
Relevancy 89.01%

So I just got a new dell laptop with windows 7 home premium 64 bit installed on it. Thing is that when I go to use my old USB WLAN device (ZyDAS chipset, unfortunately I don't know the model or anything as that information has worn off of the device) which worked just fine on my old laptop which ran windows XP, it comes up with the error "unknown usb device"

I've been scouring forums and such looking for fixes and haven't come across any yet, I think I have the latest drivers installed...the latest I could find online at least...and when I run the program it opens for a second on the taskbar then closes and I can't access it after that.

Any help would be much appreciated
Thanks

A:USB WLAN "unknown device"

does this help ZyDAS chipsets based wireless devices

http://www.zydas.com.tw/

is it a usb stick wireless you are trying to use?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/113689-usb-wlan-unknown-device.html
Relevancy 89.01%

Hey

Just reinstalled Win 7 and I seem to have all of my drivers installed except I seem to be missing one device however I'm not sure what that device is. How do I find out what it is ?

When I right click and click on search for updates nothing happens.

Thanks

See pic

A:How do I find what my "Unknown Device" is ?

Welcome
Hope this helps

Device Manager - Finding Unknown Devices

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/126943-how-do-i-find-what-my-unknown-device.html
Relevancy 89.01%

I'm not truly the best with computers and this is a new pop up for me I just purchased this new dell laptop in May and have "Unknown detected" or PC device had no problems with it However in the last few weeks I've been getting a new pop up in the right hand corner My house hold have a wireless router that is password protected I have McAfee Security Center updated and shows that all my firewalls and security systems are on and active However this is the message I get and I'm concerned about my networks safety quot Unknown PC "Unknown PC or device detected" or device detected This PC or device has connected to your network IP Adress xxxxxxx quot I've opened my action center to make sure everything is okay and the only thing I find that isn't turned on is the quot Network Access Protection quot - which is something I haven't touched before nor does it provide a link in which to turn it on However in browsing other forums I've found that everyone says turning it on isn't necessary or important Looking for help on my issue and would like to know if the message I'm getting means my computer is at risk Thank you in advance

A:"Unknown PC or device detected"

Hmmm... since no one has responded yet, I'll ask a few questions. So, are you using a router and a wireless connection to access the internet? If so, have you set up router security so a password is always required for anyone trying to gain access? Also, can you go here and do this simple test to see if you have any open ports that are vulnerable to inbound intrusion attempts? Here's the link and here's my results:

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/32756-unknown-pc-device-detected.html
Relevancy 88.58%

Greetings,

I'm running Home Premium 64 on a Sony Vaio Laptop (CS170F). I'm having a curious problem: Yesterday I plugged into the machine the dongle of my wireless logitech mouse, and for some reason the machine said "Your unknown device is ready to use" (my OS is in spanish, the messages may not be accurately translated). Since then, an annoying message pops every few seconds warning about an "unrecognized USB device", that "didn't work as expected". The best part is this, if I click on the tray icon, sometimes the informative dialog window is emply, an other times shows all the USB ports in the system plus one extra with a "unknown UBS device", even without any device plugged into the system. I've tryed removing the unknown device from the device manager, but it shows up again.

I'll really appreciate any pointer, link or suggestion.

Thanks in advance, and best regards.
Antonio.

A:"Unknown USB device" without any device plugged

Hi antonio and Welcome to the forums.
Connect the wireless dongle and then update windows to see if there's any generic driver available from Microsoft.

http://www.vistax64.com/drivers/224997-unknown-usb-device-without-any-device-plugged.html
Relevancy 88.15%

Hello and first of all thanks to whoever you are for taking the time to read this I am currently trying to has "Unknown" Solved: other Connection Network node type, issues get windows networking to work with an old laptop and have come to several issues I am running Windows XP Home SP I am able to Solved: Network Connection has "Unknown" node type, other issues connect to my network via the wireless connection and ping other computers on the network successfully However I can in no fashion connect to other windows machines through explorer When I attempt to quot View Workgroup Computers quot nothing at all is displayed not even my own computer When I get the ipconfig information from the console it reports my node as quot Unkown quot I have followed several tutorials on how to reset the node of the network connection through the registry and have followed them all I have always executed the edits and rebooted however no matter what entries were in the registry my issue remained the same When I select the network connection in explorer and view in the left hand tool bar the little snippet of info under quot Details quot reads Peer-to-Peer which I assume is the node type which I have heard can prevent windows networking from operating correctly when enabled None of the tutorials I have found so far have been Solved: Network Connection has "Unknown" node type, other issues able to help me perhaps my problem is a little more specific Once again thanks in advance for your help JimmyBlaze nbsp

A:Solved: Network Connection has "Unknown" node type, other issues

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-network-connection-has-unknown-node-type-other-issues.807141/
Relevancy 88.15%

Hi Guys, any ideas how to access my external hard drive [TOSHIBA MK3029GACE] device manager can see it but it does not appear in disc management.

I use this HDD perfectly in my car HDD player. But when I try to connect it to my Laptop, it does not show up in disk management.

Please check the attached screen shot..

Thanks for the help....

A:HDD shows in "Device Manager" but not in "DiskPart"or" Disk Management

Specs show that drive has a ATA-6 interface (P-ATA, or IDE). How are you connecting this drive to your laptop? Does the laptop have a PATA or SATA connection? Does it use an adapter?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/347111-hdd-shows-device-manager-but-not-diskpart-disk-management.html
Relevancy 88.15%

Hi,

I'm in a small office and I'd like to setup people that use the company Outlook so that all msgs sent/recieved will be collected to a single email address like "[email protected]". This will be mainly used for employees that are terminated for misuse and we can view what they have sent or recieved on their outlook even if they purge their trash. Any way to do this or ideas? Thank you.

Manny

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/setup-a-redirect-email-unknown-to-users-on-network.395625/
Relevancy 87.72%

Hello!
I just discovered how awesome this feature is, but unfortunately it is not functioning properly, playing with drivers might help I believe :/

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10/440446-what-drivers-make-cast-media-device-feature-work.html
Relevancy 87.72%

Hello and thanks for reading I have the oddest problem here at work I have a brand new at or only "The device error, won't work but resource remote accept.." Latitude E that would not connect to the internet but would connect to our LAN We had the motherboard replaced by Dell but a few weeks later while a download of the free AVG anti-virus program was being installed the same thing happened again where we could not connect to the WAN but the LAN was fine I formatted the HDD reinstalled the OS Pro bit installed all the factory drivers and still the same thing This only happens when I'm "The remote device or resource won't accept.." error, but only at work at work We have multiple laptops of the same make model OS that are working perfectly but not this one at "The remote device or resource won't accept.." error, but only at work least not for long One thing that does allow me to connect to the WAN I have a LinkSys USB Ethernet "The remote device or resource won't accept.." error, but only at work Adapter There is no Windows driver for this so I've used the Vista bit driver when installing the software and I can connect no problem I've also had one other computer give me fits about accessing the WAN at my job This unit I believe it's a Dell optiplex had XP installed and would occasionally lose WAN connection but a reboot would take care of the problem The problem grew to where more reboots were necessary until one day nothing could be done to connect to the WAN once again the LAN connection was fine I ended up replacing that computer Recently however that computer also was having problems connecting to the WAN even after removing reinstalling the NIC driver I used another of the LinkSys USB ethernet adapters and it has not had a problem in over a month I've checked the default gateway DNS and DHCP settings doing a ipconfig all command at the command prompt and everything matches up Dell had told me some of the older servers have been having problems with the quot New quot MAC Addresses but this doesn't make sense since the Optiplex which is running XP Pro is an older model and should have no problems I'm new to the IT game and would like to have my ducks in a row or even better have the problem solved when I bring this to the big shots Any help you guys can give would be greatly appreciated BTW first time posting on one of these Tech boards Thanks for the access and efforts

A:"The remote device or resource won't accept.." error, but only at work

Ahh heck! I forgot to add the entire message I'm getting. The error is :

The remote device or resource won't accept the connection.

Sorry for the confusion

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/261515-remote-device-resource-wont-accept-error-but-only-work.html
Relevancy 87.72%

All of my USB Ports just stopped working When I go to the cannot Ports hardware Not Work: device start the because..." "Windows USB device manager and check them I get the code error Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information in the registry is incomplete or damaged I wasn t even in the registry and I have no idea how to restore the old settings that are apparently damaged I check microsoft and they said this A registry problem was detected This can occur when more than one service is defined for a device if there is a failure opening the service subkey or if the driver name cannot be obtained from the service subkey USB Ports Not Work: "Windows cannot start the hardware device because..." Try these options On the General Properties tab of the device click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooting wizard Click Uninstall and then click Scan for hardware changes to load a usable driver Restart the computer in Safe Mode and then select Last Known Good Configuration which rolls back to the most recent successful registry configuration I did all those things and they still do not work I think it is likely that I ll have to manual restore the registry valves for each USB port - but I have no idea how Any help would be very much appreciated I am having a horrible night Please someone show me how to fix this in the registry I do not have system restore running so I can t use that I hope no one ever has luck like this nbsp

A:USB Ports Not Work: "Windows cannot start the hardware device because..."

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/usb-ports-not-work-windows-cannot-start-the-hardware-device-because.351642/
Relevancy 87.72%

I get the Code 12 error when I look at my wireless PCI adapter in my desktop computer's device manager. I am running windows vista home premium. It is brand new so nothing is installed, just drivers and software for a BIOS update that I tried and failed. The whole error says "this device cannot find enough resources that it can use" and below it also says "If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system." I've disabled some ethernet ports and I think there are some ghost drives or something that I don't see...But i don't know how to take care of that, and I went into my setup for the BIOS and I really didn't see anything to change on the BIOS, so what do i do? the software didn't work.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-card-in-desktop-wont-work-this-device-cannot-find-enough-free-resources.741830/
Relevancy 87.72%

I ve been working on this problem off and on for a couple of years or more All of my recent searches for a solution have ended with just a half-hearted effort I have two scenarios in which I get IBD errors One is where the main board in a or XP system fails and I have to replace the board with an IDE controller that is not similar enough to the original one For this scenario I still have no solution It s still a situation where my only hope is to find a replacement board that has an IDE controller very much like the old one--or just reload the OS and all programs from scratch The next scenario is where we have a planned upgrade or board swap in a system that is still functional--at least functional enough to get to the GUI Swap success Device" Main "Inaccessible Boot work-around Board Here are the steps I used that worked Before I removed Main Board Swap "Inaccessible Boot Device" work-around success the board from the old system I went to Device Manager gt System gt IDE I changed the controller to Standard Dual-Channel PCI IDE Controller I then shut down changed the board and booted I got to the desktop and loaded the drivers for the new board etc and booted again All seems to work well so far Now this was only one situation and I don t know it will work in all situations but it is a breakthrough for me as this has been not only annoying but a time-consuming bear for a long time Now if I can only find a way to do this on a system where the main board has failed before I have had a chance to change the controller driver to the generic flavor I have a theory that if I could somehow edit the registry on a non-active partition I might be able to find out which registry keys to change on that system so it will load the generic IDE drivers nbsp

A:Main Board Swap "Inaccessible Boot Device" work-around success

I did confirm the old hard disk did give an IBD error when attached to the new board before I to the above-described steps.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/main-board-swap-inaccessible-boot-device-work-around-success.236239/
Relevancy 87.72%

Afternoon I'm a bit boggled by this issue we / 7 "mapped stuck files" "stand-by" files Windows Large in are having on a PC at our office It seems that the PC normally will boot up and the memory usage will be low GB GB until - minutes go by then it shoots up GB GB It's really odd and I can't explain it since no applications are started I took it upon myself and downloaded RamMap Using RamMap I was able to determine that the memory is caused by quot mapped files quot under quot file summary quot I Windows 7 Large files stuck in "mapped files" / "stand-by" can see the two large files which are to blame But I'm not able delete these currently until tomorrow to confirm the user doesn't need them What I'm looking for is an answer as to why these files seem to be singled out Thanks in advance I've included a screenshot to the RamMap findings and my understanding with how memory is handled is limited EDIT - I can see now only large file is being selected for quot mapped file quot

A:Windows 7 Large files stuck in "mapped files" / "stand-by"

Attachments -

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/398103-windows-7-large-files-stuck-mapped-files-stand.html
Relevancy 87.72%

Hey guys I usually have my 'Network discovery and file sharing' turned off however today I've turned it on and to my surprise I saw another router under quot Network Infrastructure quot listed next to my own However it's not showing up on the map under 'Network and Sharing Unknown "Network under router showing Infrastructure" Center' I've seen other people on the net having another router but nothing conclusive What I'm wondering is if someone has connected to my antenna by cable I don't have a clear visual from the outside to see if there are any other cables coming out of my antenna I'm slightly paranoid by now about that antenna last year a competing ISP installed their user's antenna on my strut Unknown router showing under "Network Infrastructure" without even asking for my permission and knocking Unknown router showing under "Network Infrastructure" my antenna off So hijacking my antenna's signal if that's possible would not surprise me So am I paranoid or should I start tearing some new ones around the neighborhood I have a grid antenna on the roof of my building cable going directly to my apartment pppoe and then running into my router Linksys WRT GR Running Win Ultimate x As you can see from the images below it pops up sporadically into the Network folder and I can also quot interact quot with it meaning it is asking for a PIN Thanks in advance for the help

A:Unknown router showing under "Network Infrastructure"

It seems that your wireless router has picked up another router that's in range.
It's nothing to be alarmed about.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/253399-unknown-router-showing-under-network-infrastructure.html
Relevancy 86.86%

Hello all,
I'm suffering froma troubling problem with a Windows 7 system.
This system has a boot HDD (C and data storage RAID5 array (D. The system locked up hard requiring a power down to get Windows operational gain.

The sytem is fine now, except the ~3 TB RAID5 array is not seen by W7. The W7 disk managment snap-in reports that the 2793.97 GB "drive" exists, but the status is "Unknown" and "not initialized". Needless to say, the drve was online and contained LOTS of data before the crash. Due to it's size, the drive was GPT.

I ran a synchronize on the RAID 5 array and that finished w/o error, so I assume the actuall array is fine.

Any recommendations for what utllity/diagnostic/etc. to try next?

Further info: The RAID 5 is a creation of the AMD SB750 "southbridge", which uses tech licensed by Promise Technology.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/good-raid-array-unknown-not-initialized-after-windows-7-crash.152474/
Relevancy 86.86%

This is a problem that was reported and discussed a lot or years go but mine has a twist Equipment ASUS U A laptop OS vista home premium -bit Problem - network icon in systray has red 'X' over it - Hovering over icon message says quot Connection Status Unknown quot quot Access denied quot - Right click on icon If wifi shows wifi connections I am "unknown" as reported Working network connected to one If cable shows quot No connections found quot but network is connected - In Network and Sharing network shows as quot Unknown quot next line says quot access denied quot Now here's the twist - this happens only for one Working network reported as "unknown" user The Administrator account on the computer does not have this problem That seems to eliminate a lot of hardware amp driver potential problems I have searched forums and tried everything I could find net localgroups turn off power update driver can't mess with network properties since it doesn't show a network Lots of solutions that don't work but the situation is slightly different Could there be something in the user profile that causes this Thanks Randypro

A:Working network reported as "unknown"

Randy as a test create a new user account, if the intenet works then it is a corrupted account. You will have to delete it and create a new account.

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/298033-working-network-reported-unknown.html
Relevancy 86.43%

When I open the Microsoft Office Document - Scan new document" tool it shows a scanner that was installed a few years ago but doesn't show anything new. The old device was a Hp Officejet Scanner. I need to remove it and add another one..
The problem is I have ran the HP removal tool and tried just about everything I know to do need some fresh things to try..

A:"Add an imaging device" doesn't work.

What shows in CP under Scanners and Cameras?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/add-an-imaging-device-doesnt-work-372212.html
Relevancy 86%

I have a site on GoDaddy which uses the cpanel software as part of the hosting service. I downloaded their visual basic script to connect to a "Web disk" but now I want it removed. Anyone know how I can remove this? I'll take either a script or instructions on how to remove it in other ways like registry tweaks.

See screenshots and attached copy of the script (sensitive details removed from script - do not run the script. I have added .bak to filename to help prevent accidental run)
quinnell_networkdeviceissue.zip

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/41478-removing-network-device-manually-added-via-script.html
Relevancy 86%

Hello all new member here I have came across this forum many times in the past years when searching and have found it to be very beneficial So I figured I would see if anyone here may know why this is happening First off the information about the Laptop in question -Asus K IJ -Windows Ultimate -bit -Intel Pentium GHZ - GB DDR Ram - GB Seagate Hard Drive As a part of regular maintenance Cannot UNC Wipe space for drive" reasoning "Error: free Unknown for I use Glary Utilities and CCleaner to keep the PC clean In an effort to protect deleted data I run the quot drive wiper quot quot wipe free space quot function of these programs every so often I have never had a problem with carrying out these actions until the other day CCleaner acts like it does something but having done this before I know that it's not a few minute operation Glary Utilities gives a more reasonable response when trying quot Error Cannot Wipe free Unknown reasoning for "Error: Cannot Wipe free space for UNC drive" space for UNC drive quot I don't know much about UNC or why my C Drive would be categorized as this I am on a home WiFi connection however I haven't every had this connected as a network computer and also have all of the network sharing options disabled I Unknown reasoning for "Error: Cannot Wipe free space for UNC drive" have not made any recent changes that I can recall which may have caused this Does anyone have any ideas as to why this may be happening or better yet how I can revert back to where I am able to use this feature of the programs All input and suggestions are welcome I appreciate it very much Thank you

A:Unknown reasoning for "Error: Cannot Wipe free space for UNC drive"

Hi redhatman, welcome to 7F!

Sounds like something happened when CCleaner (CC) attempted to wipe the free space, Glary picked up on those changes, and it ended up being a UNC drive, and it (Glary) couldn't determine the original working directory to start itself.
Did CC show the "Cannot Wipe free space for UNC drive" error?
Had you made any changes to the file system between the time you last ran CC?

What to try:
Before every CC run the program asks you if you want to create a backup of the registry, if you were prudent enough to do that, try running that backup. https://Problems after you have run CCleaner | www.piriform.com
If you made a restore point try it or the closest one to before the time/date of this wipe.
Start your machine by Last Known Good Configuration. See Step #4 and use your arrow keys to move to that option.
If all the above do not work you may have to try a Repair Install.
As a last resort try backup images or clones if you have them.

If any of these steps resolves your problem you should run a CHKDSK, and SFC /scannow.
By the way, thank you for filling out your System Specs; If you add the model number (K60IJ) of your laptop to your System Specs you won't have to list it or the rest of them in any of your subsequent posts.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/353207-unknown-reasoning-error-cannot-wipe-free-space-unc-drive.html
Relevancy 86%

I have used WinDirStat to verify &quot;unknown&quot; 40gb cannot drive and on my access C [SOLVED] I of them files they are there in limbo and then used file scavenger to actually identify them It amounts to me having had [SOLVED] 40gb of &quot;unknown&quot; files on my C drive and I cannot access them a virus and reinstalling my OS When I did it left the original C drive data in tact and [SOLVED] 40gb of &quot;unknown&quot; files on my C drive and I cannot access them started [SOLVED] 40gb of &quot;unknown&quot; files on my C drive and I cannot access them a whole other separate area for the new OS For instance my entire itunes library is there - some ten gigs In fact when I reinstalled itunes it somehow read the original library but did not have access to the files exclamation point next to each song So somehow it had access to the listing but not the files themselves But I CANNOT no matter what I have tried get to the previous files and delete them There is still only one C partition it did not create a new one I have tried file shredder as well as WDS to clean them up - but all the clean options are grayed out I have also disabled and removed all restore points I have tried these things in safe mode as well HALP I dont wanna do a completely fresh install if I can help it Thank you in advance

A:[SOLVED] 40gb of &quot;unknown&quot; files on my C drive and I cannot access them

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-40gb-of-and-quot-unknown-and-quot-files-on-my-c-drive-and-i-cannot-access-them-466768.html
Relevancy 86%

My Granddad gave me a computer last year, and when I got it it had 35gb of 64gb filled up already.

I looked for the files taking up all the space for a while but could never locate them, so I gave up and went on using it with only half the HD actually usable.

Move on to today, I'm starting a solidworks class and I need the free space, but I can't find where the files are for the life of me. I tried to see if there was some partition, but when I went under device manager > to the Hitachi hard drive properties it showed a - next to partitions.

How can I delete this unknown file?

Here is a screen shot of a program showing HD usage.

Thanks,
John

A:"unknown file" taking up 29GB of hard drive.

Go to Start/Run and type diskmgmt.msc and hit enter. In the Disk Management Console you can see if this is a separate partition, like a Restore partition. If it is, you can format the partition but you will loose any chance to Restore in case of disaster. If you really need more space, it would be safer to buy an External USB HDD and store your files on that.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/unknown-file-taking-up-29gb-of-hard-drive-410069.html
Relevancy 86%

A few weeks ago something changed on my -yr-old Dell issue -- hard -- "full" flashing drive hourglass Unknown cursor Vostro desktop running Windows XP SP All of a sudden the cursor arrow started to also have the hourglass next to it ALL the time and the hourglass was slowly flashing on off with a period of hard drive "full" -- flashing cursor hourglass -- Unknown issue about seconds When this started my GB hard drive had GB of free space Within a couple days of this weird new behavior and with no real change in computer usage patterns on my part I started getting messages that my hard drive was FULL I tried deleting some files and programs to free up some hard drive space but the free space is quickly minutes filled and the quot Free Space quot returns to near zero The flashing hourglass is still present except in Windows Safe Mode I cannot connect to the internet using IE In Windows Safe Mode there is a shortcut on the Desktop of the Administrator User that is named quot Repair System Registry quot and is targeted to registrydefender com Although the quot Created quot date of this shortcut is a couple weeks after all this started occurring on this computer I cannot run any of the First Steps listed in the linked info because there is no room on the hard drive for the programs or the logs that would be produced I get error messages when I try to load anything onto this computer Is it possible to run all these First Steps from an external drive Is this a malware issue A software issue A hardware issue Where to start Help

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/hard-drive-full-flashing-cursor-hourglass-unknown-issue-514664.html
Relevancy 86%

Hi - I m floppy installing drive Pro get - XP Can't "Unknown past issue?? Disk" problem trying to install XP Pro onto Can't get past "Unknown Disk" problem installing XP Pro - floppy drive issue?? a brand new SATA hard drive since my old one seems to have gone kaput after about years I booted from CD and went thru all the screens to the point where it was ready to start the installation When i got to the screen to partition the quot mass storage device quot i got the following Unknown Disk There is no disk in this drive Unknown Disk There is no disk in this drive So i found an old post on this site http forums techguy org hardware -solved-unknown-disk-error html and followed the lessons learned there and realized I had a floppy for a RAID DRIVER i had forgotten about it came with the components I bought to build this box So i tried the installation again starting from a reboot and hitting F at the right time When it came time to install the rd party driver i inserted the floppy as instructed and hit Enter The floppy light came on but i don t believe i heard it do anything and the screen asking me to insert the floppy quietly came back I tried a couple times but still the floppy did not do its magic I continued and the partition screen still showed the Unknown Disk error So as suspected the driver did not get installed I then rebooted this time hitting F to check out the BIOS My BIOS recognizes both my new hard drive and the floppy drive just fine and the floppy itself can be read just fine on another PC Could this be a floppy controller problem is there a simple way to test it I m not sure of the last time if ever i ve used the floppy on this box Does the BIOS recognition prove that it should be functional I ve installed new OSes onto new HDs a few times without problem in the past but am no expert So I may be missing something simple Any help would be greatly appreciated to figure out my problem Thank you nbsp

A:Can't get past "Unknown Disk" problem installing XP Pro - floppy drive issue??

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-get-past-unknown-disk-problem-installing-xp-pro-floppy-drive-issue.1031460/
Relevancy 85.57%

HELP!

I had to delete everything off my harddrive and reinstall windows and now I cant get online.

I'm trying to connect through a 2 wire wireless modem to a 2701 HG-B router. I know that everything is ok with the router as my other computer works fine. When I plug the ethernet cable into the back of the computer and to the router itself, it still will not go online...

I called AT & T and was on with them for a while, but they finally had me go to my device manager and said since I dont have anything showing Network in the list, i had to install that first before i can connect to the internet. I have no idea how to do that...can anyone help?

A:Solved: I can't get online and there is no "network" in my device manager

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-i-cant-get-online-and-there-is-no-network-in-my-device-manager.969997/
Relevancy 85.57%

So I have an Ipod nano (2nd gen) and the really old school ipod (I am not sure what its called) & two cords, a laptop(vista) and a computer(XP).

The old ipod works using either cord and on both the laptop and the computer - nano gets a "unknown device" error message regardless of which USB I use.

I am sure you've heard this all before - it seems to be charging but I cannot cannot so I cannot upload new songs etc.

I have unistalled and reinstalled the driver, itunes, i reset the ipod - nothing seems to be helping!

please help

A:"Unknown Device"

Maybe there is a conflict with the drivers because you are using 2 different POD's? Try removing one and using one, the remove that one and use the other.

That's where I would start.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/unknown-device.724957/
Relevancy 85.57%

But I can't figure out how to make it "known".

The device is a Casio CW-100 disc title printer.

I have the Vista drivers installed and the printer works.

But it shows up as a "unknown device" in Windows.

How can I make it "known"?

A:I know what my "unknown device" is!

Open up the device manager and then unplug your printer. Does the unknown device go away?

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/30186-i-know-what-my-unknown-device.html
Relevancy 85.57%

Can anyone help? When my computer came out of standby today both USB ports on my laptop did not recognise the external USB hub connected to it. Window XP keeps giving a "Device Unknown" error message. I've tried everything that the Windows trouble shooter has to offer but still the Hub does not work. (This includes a system restore to a point before the USB error.).

What is strange is that individual devices ie mouse, webcam and flash drive work fine on the ports - Just Hubs are not recognised. I've tried the Hub on my other computer and it work fine so the hub is ok.

The following were connected to the hub when I put the computer into standby.

Infra Red transmitter
Logitec Webcam
Flash Drive
Mouse

Please, Please can someone help !!!

A:USB 2.0 Hub "Device Unknown"

Your hub loses its power during stand-by. When the PC wakes up again, that (permanently connected) device does not draw enough power again to also 'wake up'.
The connections going through that hub are fine. If you want to prevent this in future, you need a USB-hub with its own powersupply, not one that gets power from the PC-port.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/usb-2-0-hub-device-unknown.24458/
Relevancy 85.57%

Hello,

I have a T60 laptop with a 55 Gig hard drive and only 350Mb of free space. I ran WinDirStat and it shows an "unknown" file taking up 30 Gig of space. I am not sure what it is or what to do about it.

I cannot find it (the "unknown") in Windows Explorer (I "un-hid" the hidden folders, etc.).

Has anyone run into a situation like this before?

Any advice?

Thanks,
M

A:"unknown" taking up space on hard drive

Did you personally setup this machine. i.e install Windows etc? 30 gigs sounds like an Operating system i.e linux. Windows cannot see a Linux/Bsd/Beos etc partition.
If you get hold of a Linux Live Cd it usually has Gpart(Like Partition Magic) on it . Gpart will tell you what is there. It can also reformat it to any type of media you want.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/unknown-taking-up-space-on-hard-drive-214609.html
Relevancy 85.14%

Hi I am running in a VM a makes network "unknown"? What with virtual Ethernet NICs The first What makes a network "unknown"? one is bridged and identified as a private network The second is host only with fixed IP and always comes up as quot unknown quot Both work fine At the moment in the windows VM I have changed all quot Unknown Networks quot to be private in Local Security Policy Network List Manager Policies so I use private firewall rules but would rather have it identified than change all unidentified networks to be private Is this possible What defines a network as identified on not Code PS C Windows system gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name Windows Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Ethernet adapter Ethernet Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Intel R PRO MT Desktop Adapter Physical Address - - - - -A DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe f ce d e b Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Default Gateway DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - B-F -F - C- - - - A- - DNS Servers fec ffff fec ffff fec ffff NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Ethernet adapter Ethernet Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Intel R PRO MT Desktop Adapter Physical Address - - - A- - DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe cd dc a eba Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Tuesday December AM Lease Expires Wednesday December AM Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - B-F -F - C- - - - A- - DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Tunnel adapter isatap CDC -D C - -B - BB C Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap CFB - BFC- C -B -D D E Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes PS C Windows system gt

A:What makes a network "unknown"?

Good question Adam, I've wondered this myself. Only thing I can figure is with routers, firewalls and proxy servers, Windows is unable to figure out what the connection is.
My wireless tray icon says Unidentified Network and No internet access, yet I do.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/57908-what-makes-network-unknown.html
Relevancy 85.14%

I have a big problem here,
I have used my hard disk for 9month,
Yesterday when I watched movie on the half way,
My hard disk suddenly disfuntion,
And I thought my laptop problem due to always lagging so I restart my computer.
But after that I can't read my hard disk (WD)in my computer.
It can read in computer management there.

Ways I try:
1)I try to uninstall and reinstalled again,BUT it doesn't work.
2)I try to unchecked the hide folder and device at view.
3)I try to update the software BUT it still disfunction.
4)I try to use disk management and initialized it BUT there appeared CANNOT INITIALIZED Due to I/O device error.

Any solution for me ?

A:Hard Disk can't read in "my computer ", "initialized",I/O device error

The most usual cause is that the Hard Drive is beginning to fail. Back up your stuff. Go to the website of the manufacturer and test the drive.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/335190-hard-disk-cant-read-my-computer-initialized-i-o-device-error.html
Relevancy 84.71%

Hi- Earlier this week I had a message pop up about a possible intruder on my unsecured wireless network and I m curious as to what that might be I have a Linksys WRT G router and I m running two Win XP machines I ll call Laptop and Desktop I have Network Magic I bought it for printer sharing It has a network map showing connected devices When my devices are connected I can look at a details screen which shows the device names and the operating system the amount of memory the processor model and the wireless adapter model Twice in the last six months the latest time two days ago I ve gotten a message indicating a possible intruder is on the network and I see a new device on the network map Oddly the device is merely shown "Network Solved: intruder device" as Network Device and there are no other details-- only a MAC address What could this be By the way I live in a rural area with one neighbor possibly close enough to connect but I d think I d see details if this were a PC connecting What else could it be nbsp

Relevancy 84.71%

Hello First let me tell you about my system nbsp nbsp This is an Inspiron E laptop with the T Core Duo processor running at GHZ nbsp nbsp It has GB of RAM and a brand new GB Hitachi Travelstar hard drive RPM nbsp nbsp It also has the GeForce Go GS video card nbsp nbsp nbsp It previously had Windows XP Professional bit and worked fine nbsp nbsp But I have three computers in my home and home office with E1705/9400 Inspiron Windows with entries exclamation "Base Device" my under point two Devices" "Other on - Installation New System Minor for Problem yellow 7 and would like them all to work better together on my wired home network so I am upgrading all three to Windows nbsp nbsp My two desktops one is Dimension XPS and the other is Dimension XPS seem like they will be no problem to upgrade to Windows nbsp nbsp But this laptop was not listed on Dell s Windows Compatibility List nbsp nbsp However the Windows Upgrade Advisor that I downloaded and ran seemed to say that Minor Problem with New Windows 7 Installation on my Inspiron E1705/9400 - two entries for "Base System Device" under "Other Devices" with yellow exclamation point it was OK to do a clean install of bit Windows and it only Minor Problem with New Windows 7 Installation on my Inspiron E1705/9400 - two entries for "Base System Device" under "Other Devices" with yellow exclamation point had a few minor concerns where it said to check for updated drivers from the manufacturer nbsp nbsp The laptop originally came with a GB hard drive nbsp nbsp For my use that is getting very small so I decided to get the same exact RPM drive in the GB size nbsp nbsp This will allow me to do a clean install of the bit Windows OS on the new hard drive and not have to wipe the old drive to do it nbsp nbsp I can just hold onto the old HD and stick it back in whenever I might need to get something off of it So here is my minor problem nbsp nbsp After transferring a few needed items off the old hard drive I installed the new GB drive and did a clean install of the bit version of Windows nbsp nbsp nbsp I m happy to report that I had virtually no problems with the installation and everything appears to be working fine nbsp nbsp It seems a little bit more zippy than it was before and I haven t run into anything so far that doesn t seem to be working nbsp nbsp I have gone through most of the features and most everything looks great nbsp nbsp But there is one minor problem showing in the Device Manager nbsp nbsp At least I think it s a minor problem but maybe someone else can give me some input as to whether it is or not In the Device Manager List there is a category now called quot Other Devices quot and the icon shows a little white circle with a question mark in it nbsp nbsp nbsp When you expand this category you see two identical entries that say nbsp nbsp quot Base System Device quot nbsp and the icon has a yellow circle with an exclamation point in it nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp I know from previous experience that it s not a good thing to see items in the Device Manager that have a yellow circle with an exclamation point nbsp nbsp I have clicked on both of these and neither one really tells you what the device is or who made it or who s website you would go to for a driver nbsp nbsp nbsp Under the general tab it has the following information nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp Device Type nbsp nbsp nbsp - nbsp nbsp nbsp Other Devices nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp Manufacturer nbsp nbsp - nbsp nbsp Unknown nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp Location nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp - nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp PCI Bus nbsp Device nbsp Function nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp Under De... Read more

A:Minor Problem with New Windows 7 Installation on my Inspiron E1705/9400 - two entries for "Base System Device" under "Other Devices" with yellow exclamation point

BTW, I just downloaded and installed the driver pack from that ftp location and it worked, even for Windows 8.1 - 64 bit.
Thanks Steve!

Roger

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/t/19313275
Relevancy 84.28%

Hello - I've repeatedly tried and failed to install Service Pack 1. I have run the update readiness tool, and have run chkdsk and sfc. I've tried installing through Windows Update, as well as downloading the standalone installer from Microsoft.

The former results in an "unknown error"; the latter results in a window saying that "the specified service does not exist as an installed service" almost immediately after trying. A similar message has come up occasionally in recent days when trying to install a couple of other programs.

I'm currently out of ideas and would appreciate any help. Thanks!

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/399749-sp1-wont-install-unknown-error-service-does-not-exist.html
Relevancy 84.28%

I changed my outlook email .ost file to open with auto cad by mistake. Initially it was opening with an Unknown application. How can I enable it to open with an unknown application again? please help

A:changing an ".ost"file to open with "unknown" application

You can try this tutorial and see if it helps.

Default File Type Associations - Restore

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/341285-changing-ost-file-open-unknown-application.html
Relevancy 84.28%

There are 2 devices in the "Device Manager" that do not have drivers installed.

I just did a clean install of Window 7 SP1 32-bit to a Dell Latitude E6500. I have uploaded all the Windows updates and all seems to be performing well. However, there are two devices in the "device manager" that do not have drivers installed, and I can't determine what the devices are nor how/where to find the drivers for them online or elsewhere. The driverless devices are "Base System Device" and "Broadcom USH". When I look at the properties page of both devices, it says that the Base System Devices location is "PCI bus 3, device 1, function 3", and the Boradcom USH's location as "0000.001a.0002.001.000.000.000.000.000".

The laptop did NOT come with a drivers installation disk.

QUESTION: How can I identify what these devices actually are and, more importantly, how can I obtain the driver for them?

A:Can't ID driverless devices "Base System Device" and "Broadcom USH"

Well, as for the second part of your question......... have you tried using windows own driver update utility? Right click on the yellow exclamation point in Device Manager, choose update.

I'm thinking your "boradcom ush" is this, drivers for it are here too, :Broadcom USH - USB\VID_0A5C&PID_5800 - awdit - The driver, software, & hardware database

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/273074-cant-id-driverless-devices-base-system-device-broadcom-ush.html
Relevancy 84.28%

Computer Specs CPU I - MB "NTLDR Boot now Device" missing" Proper is "Select Asus Pz Ram Corsair GB Vengeance LP Using on board VIdeo For now Maxtor "Select Proper Boot Device" now "NTLDR is missing" HD Sata WD Raptor Sata HP Lightscribe DVD-r Drive Sata Problem I was having once I completed my new build with old system parts was as listed in title It started out as select proper boot device and now it states ntldr is missing From what I have been reading it seems as if my partition with my windows install is not set active I do not have my windows DVD only my old vista DVD I tried to boot into it to make use of CMD and attempt to make my partition active but I was unsuccessful to even get into CMD I went into bios and forced booted from the drive with the OS and still same error also I attempted to disable the other sata and run the computer again with no success also Look forward to hearing from someone soon I will be sitting by my laptop all night until this computer gets running

A:"Select Proper Boot Device" now "NTLDR is missing"

Finally Got to command prompt but it shows my current drive listed as x: dunno if this will be relevant and helpful to anyone.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/228170-select-proper-boot-device-now-ntldr-missing.html
Relevancy 84.28%

anyone please help me before this i'm able to format my laptop into windows 7 ultimate x64 bit but now when i'm trying to format using the same dvd windows installer a message prevent me from format "required cd/dvd drive device driver is missing". i also downloaded a new iso and burn it into a new dvd and also usb but both with the same results. then i borrowed my friend dvd installer and it works i can install windows. now i want to format it again download a new iso but that error still prevents me from installing new windows help please

A:"A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing" error install win

What operation system did your Laptop come with?

Where are you downloading the ISO for Windows 7 from?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/374595-required-cd-dvd-drive-device-driver-missing-error-install-win.html
Relevancy 84.28%

I have recently bought a new hard drive and now I want to remove the old one and just use the new one When I and hard old trying after boot "Select removing drive device" propper remove the old one I try to start up the PC with the new only but it stucks at booting it says quot select proper boot device quot The old one was a GB WD SATA And the new "Select propper boot device" after removing old hard drive and trying one is a Seagate SATA TB I want to use the old one with an older PC for somebody else but if I remove it I can't get into Windows Windows is installed in the new HDD The old one is empty but I see there is still some quot System Reserved quot partition there which is being used Here is how disk management looks like http "Select propper boot device" after removing old hard drive and trying i imgur com Gsbh dF png I want to remove Disk and keep Disk only I also don't want to lose the data from Disk Help will be much apreciated I try to rebuild my old computer for somebody else to use

A:"Select propper boot device" after removing old hard drive and trying

System reserved partition is essential for Windows to work.Since you have it on your old hard drive and not the new one ,computer asks for it whenever you disconnect your old hdd.
Install Windows on new hard drive with system reserved partition on new hdd.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/387838-select-propper-boot-device-after-removing-old-hard-drive-trying.html
Relevancy 84.28%

Hello So a while ago my computer crashed and I wasn't sure what it was so I tried many proper with device" Boot data only "Reboot Select and 1 drive things because I wasn't getting any BIOS beeps so I thought it was the motherboard but long story "Reboot and Select proper Boot device" with only 1 data drive short it's the graphics card so I've replaced that with my old one for now But since I took out so many parts so many times I keep getting the quot Reboot and Select proper Boot device quot error I have a Motherboards - P P LE - ASUS And I've set the SSD to the primary boot I've tried to directly boot it via BIOS but they both still give the same result I've put the Win disk in and done a repair but still "Reboot and Select proper Boot device" with only 1 data drive no change Since my OS is installed "Reboot and Select proper Boot device" with only 1 data drive to my SSD is there a chance it could have corrupted the files or the actual drive when the computer crashed From what I heard SSD's seem to be a bit fragile Any help or recommendations would greatly appreciated Thank you

A:"Reboot and Select proper Boot device" with only 1 data drive

How many times have you tried startup repair ?

It may take 3 attempts.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/336619-reboot-select-proper-boot-device-only-1-data-drive.html
Relevancy 84.28%

Hi my attempt to install windows today ended in When I boot from the DVD choose the Language and press quot Install quot I get an Error message stating quot A DVD CD drive device driver is missing If you have a driver CD Floppy please insert it now quot Here are my specifications- HP Pavilion p f Desktop PC Product Specifications HP Pavilion p f Desktop PC device missing" "DVD setup installation in drive Win7 drivers - HP technical support Austria - English I have experienced this same problem with Vista x and x "DVD drive device drivers missing" in Win7 installation setup I am trying to clean install Windows bit I put the drivers on a thumb drive and Browse to it when prompts me Funny thing is Windows reads all the other files on the thumb drive like psds flas skps and so on but it just plays stupid to the actual drivers for the motherboard chipset The system rejects XP and I was forced to put Ubuntu on it Ubuntu sucks nothing runs I know all about WINE to get some programs to run but I use the entire Adobe Suite

A:"DVD drive device drivers missing" in Win7 installation setup

Try this:

USB Windows 7 Installation Key Drive - Create

Take a look at these posts:

http://www.sevenforums.com/installat...-problems.html
Tutorial quick reference list for Installing Windows 7
Questions to use for help with Installation Issues

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/88297-dvd-drive-device-drivers-missing-win7-installation-setup.html
Relevancy 84.28%

Is it possible to transfer boot files from one hard drive to another proper boot removing "Reboot select device" and drive when one I have hard drives S-ATA one is a GB and the other is a TB I have Windows XP installed on the TB drive yet I "Reboot and select proper boot device" when removing one drive notice that these bootup folders and files are on the GB drive RECYCLE BIN RECYCLER System Volume Information AUTOEXEC BAT boot ini CONFIG SYS IO SYS MSDOS SYS NTDETECT COM ntldr pagefile sys Therefore when I wanted to use this GB drive for another computer that had a defective hard drive I backed up all the important data from the drive then I took the drive out then booted the computer back up just to make sure it still works That s when I got that quot Reboot and select proper boot device quot error I guess this is because the boot files got created on the GB drive which is NOT the drive that Windows XP is installed onto instead of the TB drive So what I d like to know is if I can somehow just copy the folders and files including hidden ones and then be able to boot from the TB drive I doubt it would be that simple but there MUST be a way to transfer the boot information to the TB drive Does it have something to do with BootMBR or Windows Recovery or something like that I don t want to change anything until I get some opinions from others Thanks nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-when-removing-one-drive.149097/
Relevancy 83.85%

I have an older 80 gig WD external hard drive that has worked fine until this morning when I turned on my computer and it wasnt showing up when I looked in my computer. So I went into device manage and it says this "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"

I tried unistalling, and then plugging it back in. I tried looking for updates. Anything I could think of, but still not able to access anything. It has ALL my music on it and I really really want to be able to get to it.

If I cant get it to work is it possible to transfer data from this one to a new one??

Relevancy 83.85%

I have what appears to be a common problem with Win as I've seen numerous users ask this question here amp on other forums but so far none of the suggested fixes that I've found have worked for me I'm trying to install the full retail version of Win Home Premium on a new SATA hard drive is ERROR: missing" CD/DVD driver device "A required drive in a new -bit PC ERROR: "A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing" I'm doing this because the drive that came with the PC had Win Pro on it but it was a trial version and I don't have a key or disc for it However I have a new copy of Win Home Premium and since I can't downgrade without hacking the registry which didn't work either btw I decided to get a new HD amp start over with Win HP However when I try to start the installation from the disc after I click quot Install Now quot I get the error message quot A required CD DVD drive device driver is missing quot I'm stuck there The Win disc allows you to remove the installation disc at that point amp put whatever CD DVD you want in the drive to try and find the drivers you need so I tried the disc that came with the motherboard which is a FoxComm I'm able to get into the motherboard's installation disc amp select quot x quot under quot driver quot amp also under quot floppy quot When I select those files I get a quick green moving horizontal band like it's downloaded the driver If I select any other folder or drive I get the error message quot No device drivers were found quot otherwise so I believe I'm on the right track But still I get the same message when I put the Win disc back in --- quot A required CD DVD drive device driver is missing quot I also tried installing an ISO image and that didn't work Any suggestions besides getting my -lb sledgehammer out of the garage amp making a few quot adjustments quot to this PC

A:ERROR: "A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing"

Try Cleaning the HD Drive, using Step one in this tutorial:
SSD / HDD : Optimize for Windows Reinstallation
& than Reboot PC to install.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/267355-error-required-cd-dvd-drive-device-driver-missing.html
Relevancy 83.85%

I am using Windows XP SP 2 in a desktop PC. But I wanted to install Windows 7 to my computer. So I got a dvd and during installing it from boot from dvd mode, first I get the "select language and time" dialog box, I click next and then this message appears -
"A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD or USB flash drive, please insert it now."
I read many threads on the internet regarding this problem, but I didn't try any of those in fear that I might misunderstand something and worsen the condition.
Can anyone give me a step by step info on what to do?
If you need any extra information please ask.

A:"A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing" during install

Take a look at these posts:
Windows 7 Installation Errors : Troubleshoot Step by Step
Common Installation Problems and Their Solutions
Questions to use for help with Installation Issues
Tutorial quick reference list for Installing Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/196763-required-cd-dvd-drive-device-driver-missing-during-install.html
Relevancy 83.85%

I recently formated my first hard drive and installed Windows XP Pro SP2. Since then my CDRW (drive E functions properly but my DVD drive is not recognized, in Device Manager it says that is a "Image Simulation SCSI CdRom Device" and assigned drive G: to it, there is no drive F: now, the one assigned to the old DVD drive.
When I try to use a DVD disk or a movie it will say "Please insert a disk into drive G:. I reinstalled and reinstalled again and Windows will install again drive G:. Please can somebody tell me what to do to make my DVD drive to work?

A:"Image Simulation SCSI CdRom Device" instead of DVD drive

Hi and welcome. Do you have Daemon Tools installed?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/image-simulation-scsi-cdrom-device-instead-of-dvd-drive.282424/
Relevancy 83.85%

What I'm trying to do Ultimately I want to have a clean install wipe everything of Windows on my computer What my computer state was before the driver is drive required other missing" "A and CD/DVD device errors trouble Windows Home Premium and Linux dual boot Everything worked great and dandy except intermittent "A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing" and other errors issues with DVD drive not reading disks All my files were saved to external hard drive Ready to be wiped and have just one instance of Windows installed No dual boot What I did to break it I deleted my Linux partition using the instructions found here I also had other partitions my primary one which has Windows on it and two others that care pre-installed on the machine when I purchased it brand new I can't recall their labels but I think one had quot data quot in the name with some numbers and the other was quot restore quot I might be totally wrong about that though I decided quot What the heck I've never needed these before quot and so I deleted both of those as well I'm guessing this was a poor decision but what do I know The computer ran fine while it was still on but when I rebooted to see if my linux partition was gone that's where it all went wrong What's wrong and how I've tried to fix it When I start it up I get a black screen with the grub rescue terminal and this text quot error no such partition grub rescue gt quot Don't know much about grub anything at all actually but after some googling I tried to create a Windows Repair Disk and run it Burned the disk following the instructions here Put it in my computer checked BIOS verified that it would boot from DVD drive before hard drive and started it up Exact same issue As mentioned above my DVD drive has intermittent issues reading disks Assuming intermittant has become always I'm guess that's why this didn't work Then I decided to create the Recovery Tools on a flash drive I followed the instructions here made sure BIOS would read from a flash drive first stuck it in and booted it up Got a black screen with saying this quot Error loading operating system quot and nothing else Decided to try the USB drive with the exact files Windows had put on my disk so I reformatted the flash drive copied the files over from the DVD I had burned the contents were nearly identical file had it's name in all caps before and it was lowercase afterwards and tried again This time I got this error and nothing else quot Missing operating system quot At this point I decided to just download Windows and try a clean install of that I downloaded it to a flash drive using instructions here and tried to install it This time it actually pulled up the Windows install page where I can choose quot Install now quot or quot Repair your Computer quot I selected quot Install now quot and it required my product key I gave it my Windows key which I triple verified but it kept telling me quot Invalid product key quot Fine Not sure why but fine Went back and selected the quot Repair your Computer quot option instead Then quot Troubleshoot quot - gt quot Reset this PC quot - gt quot Remove everything quot - gt quot All Drives quot - gt quot Reset quot It goes for a few minutes and then very generically tells me quot There was an error resetting your're computer quot At another point I tried selecting only the primary drive instead of all drives Not sure what other drives it even thought I had at first though with the same results At another point I tried to reset but keep my information and it gave me this error quot The drive where windows is installed is locked Unlock the drive and try again quot And at another point I retried exactly the steps of the first Windows quot Repair your Computer quot but before it got to the part where I select a drive I got the error quot Unable to reset your PC A required drive partition is missing quot Lastly I downloaded a copy of Windows put it to another flash drive following ... Read more

A:"A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing" and other errors

Solved it! And then went and cried in a corner because it was so simple.

Something I had failed to realize in the past was that of the 4 USB ports on my laptop, two of them are USB 3.0 ports. During my efforts, I had tried the thumb drives on (by sheer chance) both of the 3.0 ports rather than the 2.0 ones. My laptop (and most other modern computers I believe) require extra drivers to be downloaded before being able to use the 3.0 ports that aren't on the computer's firmware. That was the drivers it was complaining about not having.

So, for other troubled souls having the same issue in the future; verify that the port you are trying to load the USB on is a 2.0 port rather than a 3.0 port. The difference is pretty easy to spot when you're looking for it. USB 3.0 ports have an "SS" (for Super Speed) next to the US symbol, whereas USB 2.0 ports do not. See below image for a visual.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/377099-required-cd-dvd-drive-device-driver-missing-other-errors.html