Windows Support Forum

Can public Wi-Fi and a wired LAN workgroup be active simultaneously in Win7

Q: Can public Wi-Fi and a wired LAN workgroup be active simultaneously in Win7

Hi be active public and Can simultaneously a wired Win7 in workgroup Wi-Fi LAN My crossover-cable wired lan between a win and a miniXP booted laptop can t be changed to a quot home quot from a quot public quot connection Both the wifi and and lan show up as quot public quot The former because I m Can public Wi-Fi and a wired LAN workgroup be active simultaneously in Win7 connected to the internet via a meraki mesh Unlike the status of my wifi which is blue and thus changeable the status of my lan is typeset black as regular text Now when I activate file-sharing I give the whole neighborhood access to my computer Is there a way to separate the networks and make the files of the remote show up in Explorer without disconnecting the wifi Windows IP Configuration Host Name ID-PC Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Can public Wi-Fi and a wired LAN workgroup be active simultaneously in Win7 Mixed IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Atheros AR B Wireless Network Adapter Physical Address C -F -DA- F- D-B DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe f c c Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained October- - AM Lease Expires October- - AM Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - - E- C- C- -AE- D- -B - DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Atheros AR PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller NDIS Physical Address -AE- D- -B - DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Default Gateway DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Tunnel adapter isatap D AF E-A E - - B -F BAC AAF E Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap C A B E- EA- C- C - DF Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IPv Address e c d f ff fff Preferred Link-local IPv Address fe c d f ff fff Preferred Default Gateway NetBIOS over Tcpip Disabled Tunnel adapter TO Adapter Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft to Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-public-wi-fi-and-a-wired-lan-workgroup-be-active-simultaneously-in-win7.172759/
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Can public Wi-Fi and a wired LAN workgroup be active simultaneously in Win7

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 22.36%

SO close Help me get this ball across the goal line I have a old quot Microtek ScanMaker E quot scsi flatbed scanner that originally came with an ISA scsi interface to give you some idea of how old it is I connected it to my PC using a equally ancient Tekram F pci SCSI card c 64bit my got scanner Almost w/Win7 old working that I ve been using with bit WinXP Pro for years The scanner has an - quot x quot scanning bed dpi and bit color reproduction It works great and I see no reason to spend a few hundred dollars to replace it just for Win compatibility so I m trying to get it to work with the bit Almost got my old scanner working w/Win7 64bit version of Windows To complicate things the company that made my SCSI card Tekram went out of business years ago so the bit XP driver was the last they made But after MUCH Googling I found a bit Win compatible driver for another card using the same chipset and low amp behold Windows recognized it It then quot detected quot my scanner for the first time but didn t have a driver Again after much searching I found a Vista bit version of Microtek s quot ScanWizard quot scanner software with bit driver and now bit Windows detects my scanner Yeah But when I try to access the scanner I get an error telling me I quot must install Color Matching System first quot for the scanner to work I don t remember any such software being needed to use the scanner with XP and there is no such program in the ScanWizard software I just installed searching online suggests I will also need to run an quot ICC Color Profiler quot Anyone have any ideas So close yet so far I love doing things I was told were quot impossible quot Help nbsp

A:Almost got my old scanner working w/Win7 64bit

That Microtek ScanMaker E3 scsi flatbed scanner ... didn't even work well with Windows XP... and the cost in time and components to attempt to make it work are much higher than a decent Canon or Epson scanner which can be had fof $40... Less if used...

On what system are you runny SCSI ?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/almost-got-my-old-scanner-working-w-win7-64bit.157055/
Relevancy 28.38%

Razer on Tuesday unveiled what it's calling the world's most advanced gaming mouse. Now in its third iteration, the 2015 Razer Mamba features a brand new 5G laser sensor and Adjustable Click Force Technology, among other features.

Read more

A:Razer's new Mamba features 16,000 DPI laser sensor in wired and wireless configurations

I'll pass. I don't game on anything that low. :\
Does anyone even go outside the 800-2000dpi range? I keep my mouse at 2000dpi.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/razers-new-mamba-features-16-000-dpi-laser-sensor-in-wired-and-wireless-configurations.214881/
Relevancy 37.41%

I'm currently in the process of trying to run three separate videos on three separate computers which are then connected to three separate projectors (sorry if this seems confusing). I want these videos being projected to all start and run simultaneously, keeping them in sync with one another.

I've read posts about the VLC Media Player, but am not sure if it's what I need since I will be using three separate computers and then connecting to projectors.

If anyone knows of a way that I can do this either with the VLC Media Player or without I'd greatly appreciate the help. Thanks guys, xx

(I'm not quite sure if this should be solved with hardware or software)

A:Running three videos on separate computers simultaneously

I want these videos being projected to all start and run simultaneously, keeping them in sync with one another.Click to expand...

almost 99.9% impossible. Whether it's streaming or simple MP4s, each system is pulling independently and every system has a unique client-host latency and will likely get out of sync almost immediately.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/running-three-videos-on-separate-computers-simultaneously.212543/
Relevancy 29.67%

I have no clue if I'm posting this in the correct place but here it goes my Sell insperion laptop worked just fine as of a couple of days ago. We ended up connecting it to the Ethernet cord and it works. We've tried restarting it numerous times and it doesn't recognize any networks. Any suggestions?

A:Wi-Fi stopped working now only works wired

Have you checked under your Device Manager to see if the WiFi was disabled for some reason? Does your Dell have a physical WiFi button, and is it turned on? You could also go to the Dell website and download the WiFi device drivers for your specific laptop. Un-install the WiFi drivers, reboot and then re-install them.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wi-fi-stopped-working-now-only-works-wired.212471/
Relevancy 22.36%

Hi all Apologies in advance for such a long post I headaches + installation = hardware New Win7 don t know if I just have a corrupt New hardware + Win7 installation = headaches Windows Ultimate installation or what but this all started three weeks ago or so after installing new hardware specifically New hardware + Win7 installation = headaches motherboard Asus A M-A New hardware + Win7 installation = headaches processor AMD A K and RAM Kingston HyperX GB DDR Since I had the extra RAM slot I also put in one of the Aeneon XTune GB DDR I have from before the upgrade The sticker on it says it s but it shows up in BIOS POST as Since then I ve had the following problems Internet Unable to establish any connection at all when using the ethernet cable plugged into my Cisco Linksys EA Router I can connect wirelessly but that connection is lousy and I m not sure why especially since the router is only about feet from the computer To be fair the lousy wireless connection is something I was dealing with since before the hardware upgrade Windows reinstall which is why I finally gave up and bought a ethernet cable the computer used to be in a different room though on the same floor of the house The problem with being unable to get any type of connection when plugged in started after reinstalling Windows and then doing something like updates and then moving the PC to the new spot I made a point of moving the tower myself just so that I could be sure nothing happened to it so I know there was no physical damage done because of dropping or otherwise banging it around at all I ve checked the ethernet cable that runs from the modem to the router as well as the one and neither of them appear to be damaged at all I ve also tried plugging the one into all of the ports on the back of the router in the event that one of them just bit the dust somehow but nothing changed Any thoughts on how I can either get my wired connection working again or what might be making the wireless connection so horrible For clarification on quot horrible quot I m not talking dial-up speeds but some sites either load slowly or not at all sites that load up just fine on every other device in the house - specifically cell phones and iPod an Xbox a Wii and a laptop My connection to Battle net for playing WoW Starcraft II Diablo III is also pretty lag-tastic My NIC is an onboard Realtek GR PCIe Gigabit LAN controller according to the motherboard manual In terms of anything that may be interfering with the wireless signal there s a metal support post and a metal I-beam a few feet from where the router currently sits though it was previously or so feet from both Other than being in close proximity to those the room is wide open I was told that water can interfere with a wireless signal and we do have a lot of ground water under around the house can anyone verify whether ground water can degrade the signal so much over such a relatively small space Hard drive partition issues Until the upgrade when the computer just wouldn t boot presumably because Windows couldn t handle dealing with such big hardware changes all at once I had Windows installed on a partition on a TB Western Digital drive Since I had to reinstall anyway I installed Windows to a partition on a smaller but faster TB Seagate drive Up until this afternoon when I installed Seagate Discwizard one of the partitions on the big drive was inaccessible showing up in disk management and a couple of rd-party hard drive utility partitioning programs as simply quot unallocated space quot Since this afternoon though that partition is now showing up as a completely separate hard drive in disk management AND as quot unallocated space quot on the drive it s actually a part of I m a little leery of just leaving things as they are and using that partition since it s showing up different ways Discwizard only shows that partition as a separate drive there is no quot unallocated space quot showing on the TB drive Is this something I sh... Read more

A:New hardware + Win7 installation = headaches

Update: Wired connection issue is fixed. I have to (sheepishly) admit that I completely forgot to install the router via the CD that came with it. The lousy wireless performance is still a problem, though, as well as the hard drive/partition issues.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-hardware-win7-installation-headaches.206345/
Relevancy 22.36%

Hi,

if anyone can help ill be really thankful.
pc 1, 2 runnging win7 ultimate x64

1 adsl modem, 1 tp-link router, 2 computers (pc1, pc2).

ADSL(modem) - LAN1 - PC1 , LAN2 - Tp-link
Tp-link - LAN1 - PC2, WAN - ADSL(modem)

Everything is working, but computers cant see each other in HomeGroup.
Tried various methods but nothing work.

So my question is how to set HomeGroup for those 2 computers. Any suggestions?
Thank you

A:Win7 Homegroup problem

@Moirax . I can't answer your question, but your mention of Homegroup makes me ask what is it for? To avoid hijacking this thread,I'll PM you.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/win7-homegroup-problem.206524/
Relevancy 22.79%

I finally bit the bullet and upgraded yesterday Before installing the new OS I installed g of ram gb sticks Got thru all the installation BS my goodness Microsoft eats up a from Upgraded XP to Win7 lot to memory with all those updates Any way I was checking out the specs on my systems on the My Computer page and it only shows that I have g of Ram The other problem is I have a gb but it s only showing that I have gb total I know you want my system info so I ll do Upgraded from XP to Win7 the best I can AMD Athlon tm X Dual Core Processor Ghz bit I m going to check out my memory sticks Maybe one of them isn t seated properly I have them side by side as it was shown in my MB book but was wondering if I should skip a slot Also is there something I need to do about my drivers I m really worried about my HD space I know before the guy who built my system had a partition put in That got wiped out when I tried to to a repair on my Windows XP and had to do a clean install When I got the system back up and running it showed all my HD space now I m barely showing a third of the space that should be there I m really at a lost nbsp

A:Upgraded from XP to Win7

Well since no one is answering, I'll get you up to date. I found my lost HD memory and got it all back, so I'm at full capacity there. As for my sticks of RAM, I just don't know. I removed one, but the system wouldn't boot. Then I put the other one in and the system still wouldn't boot. So I put them both back in and the system booted right up. I'm getting the feeling that I bought 2 2gb or ram and ended up with 2 1gb sticks. Also, I thought the system was suppose to recognize when you put new ram in. Mine didn't.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/upgraded-from-xp-to-win7.203160/
Relevancy 67.51%

Wired & Wireless Connections simultaneously

The question is how to configure LAN connections on PCs

please see attached file for details
https://www.dropbox.com/s/eoo80ew849wti9d/HomeNetworkConfigQuestion.jpg

A:Wired & wireless connections simultaneously

Hey AttTio. Is your diagram correct?. I see the connection from the switch going to one pc that's wired and another that is connected wirelessly. What happens if you connect both pc's straight to the router?. You could have a bad switch or the cable between the router and switch is bad if you get no connection in Ethernet mode as shown

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wired-wireless-connections-simultaneously.200782/
Relevancy 22.36%

I bought a Samsung 840 SSD (120GB) for my gigabyte GA-770T-USB3 motherboard. I am unable to install win 7 64bit on it. It is a SATA SSD.

I have tried ACHD mode in the BIOS, I have tried IDE mode. The drive works as I have tested it as an external drive on other computers.

I bought the drive specifically to be used as a primary drive.

My regular hard drives work fine on the motherboard.

A:Unable to install SSD on Win7 x64 system

Well, first of all, your motherboard only supports 3GB/s and the 840 is a 6GB/s drive. Just by that you won't really get your moneys worth. And how so are you unable to install? Also can you please list your system specs?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/unable-to-install-ssd-on-win7-x64-system.190141/
Relevancy 22.36%

Hi All Right problem As stated above my laptop does not recognize my external The drive spins up inside the enclosure the power led lights up but it does not show I have been a Field Support Engineer Tier III for many years and following that a Technical Analyst all within the IT field and this one on not hdd recognize Win7 does external Compaq6710b has me totally STUMPED Steps followed Checked Win7 on Compaq6710b does not recognize external hdd Compmgmt - gt DrvMgmt drive does not show same as DevMgmt msc - gt Drvmgmt Went into CMD prompt - gt Diskpart - gt list disk only picks up my primary internal I e disk I have moved the hdd from one USB port to another - still no difference I have tried disconnecting and reconnecting it multiple times - no avail Tried rebooting - no avail Tried rebooting both with without the external connected - no change Connected the external to multiple other machines - it picks up on every single one of them Run RSOP machine is on a domain but there are as confirmed by domain admins no restriction policies in place seeing that my other smaller in capacity flash drives all pick up and show Ran a full malware scan - clean with the following in turn not at the same time also not installed simultaneously MBAM MSSE AVAST ESET - All came back clean Ran CCleaner getting desperate now and after all cleaning and clearing etc sorted rebooted machine - still no change Checked if the drive shows in BIOS upon restart - it does Just to slam dunk point above - checked if the drive shows as a possible boot media upon reboot - it does Only thing left to do is to try any Linux Unix based boot GUIs to see if it shows in thee as wel apps in the line of Knoppix to name but one Oh yeah also accessed the Advanced Properties af all the available USB Root Hubs and ensured that the computer is not allowed to turn off these devices in order to save power I have also downloaded EVERY POSSIBLE LATEST DRIVER from HP s site so everything THERE is up to date all drivers and firmwares up to date Flashed the CMOS Updated the BIOS as well If I connect any of my flash drives or any other mobile device tablet phone usb modem with micro sd card installed configured as storage to the laptop they all get recognized and are accessible but NOT my external even though every single other machine I have connected it to picks it up As per all my points above please do not suggest the following A Use of various or random drive checking tools - they won t work as the O S does not recognize the drive B Right click quot My Computer quot anything starting with that will be a waste as I have already gone through all those steps by means of accessing all relevant interfaces via cmd line interface - I cannot see the drive so I can also NOT change it s drive letter just read another post on another forum where the OP requests assistance as he cannot access his drive at all kind of similar to my scenario and the suggestions on there drove me out the walls - people missing obvious things and making suggestions which would be declared useless by using some common sense I am going to try and upload prt shots of both diskpart cmd result and compmgmt msc results okay failure with bmp jpg and png HA loaded successfully Any assistance would be appreciated Oh yeah it is a USB powered quot external hdd not the quot type which requires external power nbsp

A:Win7 on Compaq6710b does not recognize external hdd

Have you tried your Ext Hard drive to be connected to any other PC or Laptop. If the drive is still not recognized consult an expert for this.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/win7-on-compaq6710b-does-not-recognize-external-hdd.200463/
Relevancy 27.52%

Hi Have a new Dell XPS th gen i The motherboard is Intel Series C - Z I have one TB Seagate drive which has Windows on it and two WD active but 1 see does RAID it? not Rapid Storage Intel TB internal hard drives I formatted both WDs and selected RAID in BIOS I selected the WD HDs to create a RAID array with CTRL I Windows didn t recognize them so I went to disk management and created a simple volume The volume was formatted not quick format and now it shows as Healthy Partition I guess it is ready to use because now Windows Explorer RAID 1 active but Intel Rapid Storage does not see it? shows it as one HD TB in size My question is Intel Rapid Storage keeps popping up the you may have an issue with your hardware I go take a look at it and the only drives that are shown are the original TB system drive and the DVD drive No sign of RAID 1 active but Intel Rapid Storage does not see it? the RAID volume I hit refresh but it does not show up I go to System Report and all HDs show up What do you think is happening How can I have Rapid Storage show the RAID volume I already updated Rapid Storage to the latest version Thank you in advance Below is what the System Report shows System Report System Information OS name Microsoft Windows OS version System name WINDOWS-U I N System manufacturer Dell Inc System model XPS Processor GenuineIntel Intel Family Model Stepping GHz BIOS Dell Inc A Intel Rapid Storage Technology enterprise Information Kit installed User interface version Language English United States Driver version ISDI version Storage System Information Controller name Intel R Series C Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller Type SATA Mode AHCI Number of SATA ports Number of volumes Volume Volume Number of spares Number of available disks Rebuild on Hot Plug Disabled Manufacturer Model number Product revision Direct attached disk Z D P XK Direct attached disk WD-WMAWP Direct attached disk WD-WMAWP Disk on Controller Port Status Normal Type SATA disk Location type Internal Size GB System disk Yes Disk data cache Enabled Command queuing NCQ SATA transfer rate Gb s Model ST DM - CH Serial number Z D P XK SCSI device ID Firmware CC Physical sector size Bytes Logical sector size Bytes Disk on Controller Port Status Normal Type SATA disk Location type Internal Size GB System disk No Disk data cache Disabled Command queuing NCQ SATA transfer rate Gb s Model WDC WD FAEX- BA Serial number WD-WMAWP SCSI device ID Firmware D Physical sector size Bytes Logical sector size Bytes Disk on Controller Port Status Normal Type SATA disk Location type Internal Size GB System disk No Disk data cache Disabled Command queuing NCQ SATA transfer rate Gb s Model WDC WD FAEX- BA Serial number WD-WMAWP SCSI device ID Firmware D Physical sector size Bytes Logical sector size Bytes ATAPI device on Controller Port Location type Internal SATA transfer rate Gb s Model TSSTcorp DVD -RW SH- DB Serial number S Q YBD ANS Firmware D nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/raid-1-active-but-intel-rapid-storage-does-not-see-it.199550/
Relevancy 22.36%

Hello I have been experiencing with Video 7870 Win7 in Stuttering 64 an ongoing issue with video stuttering when using vsync and screen tearing when not of course in certain games Here are my specs Desktop PC OS Win -bit Intel Core i Ghz Motherboard ASRock Z Extreme GSkill Ripjaws GB DDR RAM AMD Radeon HD GB driver CCC -display setup monitors Video Stuttering with 7870 in Win7 64 x x Video Stuttering with 7870 in Win7 64 and one TV Video Stuttering with 7870 in Win7 64 at x HD Samsung SSD PRO GB HD OCZ Agility SSD GB HD Seagate HDD TB HD WD HDD GB This issue is present throughout all games and videos to varying degrees It becomes apparent when any smooth movement is supposed to occur such as camera panning or forward movement in fps games for example In certain games it is barely noticeable such as Borderlands however games Trine or Dead Island are virtually unplayable due to the amount of stutter when moving In other games I experience tearing unless forcing vsync with triple buffering with D D overrider I have tried changing the vsync settings in the individual games as well with no change I have tried a number of solutions recommended from various boards such as reinstalling installing older drivers I am using an ATI radeon HD and have downloaded and removed installed just about every driver version I could get my hands on I have also been lucky enough to have access to a great deal of spare parts As such I have swapped the following components with known-good ones with no result - Power supply - CPU - Motherboard - Hard drive SSD - full reformat as well The previous graphics card a also experienced the exact same problems initially I replaced this card in an attempt to solve the stutter issue but it remained exactly the same I have run memtest and had no errors I have run certain problem games off of a different hard drive and on different monitors of my setup and produced the same result Computer has been fully scanned cleaned of malware etc Running Malwarebytes CCleaner and MSE I m at the end of my rope here Not sure what else to do Seems like this is a tricky issue none of the solutions I have found while searching has worked but I m hoping I missed something crucial Any help suggestions would be appreciated If you need any more information please let me know Thanks for your time nbsp

A:Video Stuttering with 7870 in Win7 64

In-game Vsync sucks for many games, the problem being some games tend to be biased towards one company and that causes the other company Graphics card to run poorly in it.

Try downloading Radeon Pro, its a custom tool that helps for games like that on AMD cards that run into issues with Vsync. Once installed, all you do is add the games your having problems with, go to the options surrounding the games sync, and set it to use dynamic Vsync with the refresh rate of your monitor (You can also add your monitors refresh in).

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/video-stuttering-with-7870-in-win7-64.199248/
Relevancy 28.81%

I've a wired network at home like this:

Code:
Internet
|
ADSL Router
|
Dlink Switcher
|
I'm going to buy a new tablet (ASUS MeMO Pad Smart 10), which supports internet through wifi. I was wondering how can I share the internet access with the new device? What new devices should I buy and what changes are required to my network setup?

Thanks in advance.

A:How to share wired Internet access with WiFi device

I figured it out, I need an AP.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-share-wired-internet-access-with-wifi-device.199110/
Relevancy 29.24%

I have a trendnet TW100-S4W1CA wired router connected to a wireless G access point. I cannot get my Xbox to talk to the router either with a wired connection, or wireless.

With my old router they worked fine, but the old router went tits up.

How do I configure the router so the Xbox can see it? the password is correct on my access point and all my other devices in the house can talk to the router.

A:Getting Xbox to talk to Trendnet wired router

So I guess you are trying to stream media and such. Depending on the version of OS you are running you may have to give rights for the xbox to talk over network. Such as in Windows 7 sharing and advance options go to meadia sharing and allow the Xbox to be seen by everyone. What are you trying to accomplish fully?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/getting-xbox-to-talk-to-trendnet-wired-router.198138/
Relevancy 22.36%

I reinstalled Windows 7 (64bit) after moving to an SSD. Now, for some mysterious reason, I can no longer read UDF format discs (all Blueray and some DVD's are UDF).

Microsoft's Knowledge Base posts a "hotfix", but it didn't work.

I searched online and lots of people seem to have this same problem, but no one has a fix.

How is it I can WRITE udf discs but not READ them? What a pain.

(Note: I can read the discs in XP and Linux, just not Win7. Copying the discs to the HDD every time I want to read them is not a long-term solution. And I can't copy commercial BD discs anyway.)

A:Can't read UDF format discs (Win7)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321640 is for XP, but does contain some useful information and possible work-rounds. At a guess, I would expect MS to address whatever they have done wrong before too long. In the meantime, an update of the Win7 DVD driver (and/or firmware) for your actual hardware might be available. Try the website of your DVD manufacturer.

At worst, if there is no software solution within a couple of months, you might have to consider replacing the drive, at least you can return a new drive if it fails you too.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-read-udf-format-discs-win7.198203/
Relevancy 32.68%

Hi I What to fail my workgroup causes network have four pc s connected through a GX-D ASUS switch which is now a few years old Two of the pc s have just been upgraded to windows the other two are on windows Also into the switch goes my BT broadband router and my network hp printer n Suddenly I am losing the complete network during normal use Instead of having green lights on my switch one of them goes amber and another has no light on at all If I unplug the switch from the power and then power back up all the What causes my network workgroup to fail lights go orange What causes my network workgroup to fail and then turn to green and the network comes back on This has never happened before until today and it has happened twice really frustrating I am not very techy and think the switch has became faulty Should I go buy a new switch or might it be something else Need it explaining in layman terms please as I don t have a clue Thanks for your help nbsp

A:What causes my network workgroup to fail

Hi Shelley123. If your router has at least 4 Ethernet ports at the rear, there is no need for a switch as you have 4 pc's. If your "router" only has 1 Ethernet port, what you have is a modem. Normally, your Internet signal comes in and goes to a modem first, and if you have more than 1 pc or devices that need wireless connectivity,you would connect a wireless router to that single modem port and connect your 4 pc's to the 4 ports found on most routers.If you had at least 5 devices that need to be connected by Ethernet cable, you would use a switch which you would connect to one of your router's ports, then connect the fourth pc and any other Ethernet device to one of the 4 or more ports on the switch. Are you sure you are using a switch and not a hub? Could you tell us what other hardware you have in your network besides your 4 pc's which you connect by Ethernet cable?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/what-causes-my-network-workgroup-to-fail.197556/
Relevancy 22.36%

I have no idea where to start loking for solutions. NBegining about an hour ago, no key wil work twice in a row. Backspace wil only back up once, delete wil only delelt one character in a row, page-down wil ionly page down one page and not more.
If I go do something else, and come back, the key wil work again. So, by combining delete and backspace and arrow keys and re-positioning the mouse, I can type whatever I want - it is just taking a lot more effort! -Any ideas? I would put a bu nch of excalamation marks, but this is al I have: !

A:No key will work twice in a row Win7 Dell E5430

More info - this is happening in MS Word, Notepad, the IBM SPSS Text Editor, and Google Chrome search blank. So, not just MS Ofice.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-key-will-work-twice-in-a-row-win7-dell-e5430.196092/
Relevancy 21.93%

I m having a terrible time with one win Win7: no or DHCP internet browsing but Can DNS ping bit computer on my home network All other devices about work fine other Win7: Can ping DNS but no DHCP or internet browsing windows pc works fine ADSL router and Cisco switch work fine This one Dell Vostro with a cable into the network worked fine for years Overnight it can t connect to local network with its DHCP settings and if I change to static ip it still can t browse the internet However I can ping external addresses by IP address only If I ping google com eg it cannot find the host What is really confusing is the quot Ping Statistics for quot response contains neither the name or the address but instead random characters ie this changes every time all other devices on the same network resolve IP adresses to their fully qualified domain name I have been through loads of sites and support flushing dns flushing IP restoring the pc to a previous working point changing the network cable and port installing a USB wireless key which works on this pc manually configuring IP addresses reseting the IP and WINSOCKs with Netsh commands I ran anti malware Combofix virus checkers zone alarm all found nothing I booted into a linux instance but still couldn t browse the net I cabled two pcs back to back and could ping each other from each other then restored the cable to the bad Dell I still didn t get a DHCP address but with manual IP gateway and DNS I could ping but not browse I have run out of ideas anyone help Oh it s win professional and there may be a few more things I ve done but forgotten in the post above Obviously changed drivers on NIC and installed drivers for the wireless USB NIC nbsp

A:Win7: Can ping DNS but no DHCP or internet browsing

Booting from a Linux rather than an apparently faulty Windows OS is my favourite way of deciding I have an actual hardware fault.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/win7-can-ping-dns-but-no-dhcp-or-internet-browsing.194914/
Relevancy 29.24%

hello,
I'm fairly new at networking.
Devices:
Oce fx300 wired printer
laptop running windows 7
netgear WGR614 v8 with DD-WRT Nokaid firmware

Problem: wireless router connection only established when ethernet cable is connected to router and computer, once unplugged the connection is disabled.

I am attempting to make this wired printer wireless through my wireless router which has been recently fitted with dd-wrt software. I have already set a static ip adress for the computer, and set the local printer connection up. My problem lies withing the router setting I am assuming since it seems like the router wont connect wireless. Please help.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wired-printer-to-wireless-via-router-issues.194602/
Relevancy 29.67%

Hi In my home office I have the Optimum Cable Modem that is connected to Vonage Phone VioP which is then connected to Belkin Wireless Router s WAN port At Belkin Wireless Router s LAN port I have my network printer connected and connection to my port netgear switch Netgear switch has connection from Belkin Wireless Router at port and Port through are connected to in wall patch panel that provides wired connection to all bedroom in the house Since bedrooms are on the other side of the house Belkin Wireless Router and Wired Wireless at networking home signal does not reach them So I set up another wireless router Tenda in my bedroom I Wired and Wireless networking at home believe I have Wired and Wireless networking at home set up the second wireless router correctly as I have connected the wall cat e cable to LAN of the Tenda Router configured it for static ip and disabled its DHCP I have also made sure that Belkin router only starts IP from I have two diff SSID name for Belkin and Tenda I can successfully connect wirelessly to Tenda for may be a day or so But then it stops working I can connect another cat e to Tenda s LAN port and connect to my laptop and it will work but wireless will not Restarting Tenda does not help I have to walk to my home office on the other side of the house and restart Belkin to have wireless in my room work again What am I doing wrong As per the load on the router we have phones in the house that connects wirelessly to Belkin all the rooms have computers that are directly connected We have Roku Xbox Google TV Box and Smart TV that connects wirelessly to Belkin nbsp

A:Wired and Wireless networking at home

For multiple routers, only the router connected to the modem has a wire in the WAN slot. For all others, connect to any LAN slot and leave the WAN slot empty.

Only the first router should have DHCP active.

All devices regardless of the connection type (wired vs wifi) or the device to which they connect (RouterA, RouterB, Switch1) will then have DHCP addresses on the subnet of routerA.

The 192.168.2.3 static address will be immaterial but can still be accesses to control WiFi setups.

Suggest one wifi router be set to channel X and the other to any other channel than X.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wired-and-wireless-networking-at-home.194194/
Relevancy 32.25%

I live in India. I have 12 computers in two workgroup (9 and 3), also I have two different broadband plans of 2mbps on both workgroup.

Now I want to join two networks which I can do with a switch (I think). the main issue is that if I joined the two workgroup in a single network how I can run internet on different workgroup separately. in other words I want different internet broadband lines to two workgroup and also want them in a single network.

I run a shop have 9 computers as a cyber and 3 computers for working on a government website. and I don't want that cyber system use bandwidth of those three computers and also want these 3 computers to be on network so that I can monitor them from 1 place.

Thanks....

A:Two diffrent Interet service on two workgroup in a network

The key to your issue is where the 9 systems vs the 3 get DHCP replies.
If the 3 systems go to one router, they will get a gateway address of that router AND each system will also get a DEFAULT route pointing to that gateway address.

Here's my IPCONFIG, showing the gateway

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : socal.rr.com
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.5
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

and the routing table that gets created with that connection; notice the line beginning with 0.0.0.0 - - that's the default.

Code:
IPv4 Route Table
===================================================================
Active Routes:
Network Destination Netmask Gateway Interface Metric
0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.0.1 192.168.0.5 20
127.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 On-link 127.0.0.1 306
127.0.0.1 255.255.255.255 On-link 127.0.0.1 306
127.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 On-link 127.0.0.1 306
192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0 On-link 192.168.0.5 276
192.168.0.5 255.255.255.255 On-link 192.168.0.5 276
192.168.0.255 255.255.255.255 On-link 192.168.0.5 276
224.0.0.0 240.0.0.0 On-link 127.0.0.1 306
224.0.0.0 240.0.0.0 On-link 192.168.0.5 276
255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 On-link 127.0.0.1 306
255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 On-link 192.168.0.5 276
You must make sure that the two routers have different addresses!!!

Then the 9 systems will have their own gateway and route tables.

Assuming the three systems have a router address of 192.168.3.1 and the 9 systems use 192.168.9.1 [the third digit is the number of systems just to make this discussion clear]

then your problem becomes to connect the two networks inside the routing tables of all systems.

MANUALLY, you add a route using
on the 9.system side
route ADD 192.168.3.0 MASK 255.255.255.0 192.168.9.x METRIC 1​on the 3.system side
route ADD 192.168.9.0 MASK 255.255.255.0 192.168.3.y METRIC 1​​That makes TCP see both sides but only resources specifically requested cross from one side to the other - - USING IP ADDRESSES. If you need print/file shares using names, you will need
to add them to the drivers\etc\hosts file everywhere and the shared systems need fixed addresses :sigh:

I am reluctant to lead you down this path UNLESS you are very experienced as this is considerable customization and will need to be well documented.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/two-diffrent-interet-service-on-two-workgroup-in-a-network.193922/
Relevancy 51.17%

I have a really strange situation today that started after I had to reboot our UTM device and then switch We have a wired network although our modem router is also wireless if needed We don t use the wireless normally After rebooting the UTM and Switch all computers were turned back on again one by one of the were up and running and on the network and internet straight away One PC connected to the LAN but cannot get internet access Our DHCP server is on the UTM Internet (Win7) Network Wired Computer no has on One device and each computer has it s IP address reserved This computer had reserved and it still has that IP address when I do ipconfig It can access all the files on our NAS and all the printers on the network I ran all the ipconfig commands to One Computer on Wired Network has no Internet (Win7) release renew One Computer on Wired Network has no Internet (Win7) flushdns I reset winsock and rebooted Still no internet I did a print screen off one of the PCs that is working properly and compared it Apart from the MAC address and other PC specific items I could see no difference So I put a wireless dongle on it to see if it would connect the the internet on wireless It worked I had internet but no LAN other than to the wireless router So I thought there must be a problem with the NIC I went to the local PC store and bought a new NIC card and installed it I disabled the old one and connected the network cable to the new one No difference If I enable the NIC card I have LAN but no internet if I enable the wireless dongle I have internet but no LAN I need both I cannot figure out what has changed on this ONE PC that was working fine until today Oh one other thing I tried that didn t work I connected a brand new Ethernet cable directly from the modem router to the PC So this bypassed the UTM device and Switch Still no wired internet nbsp

A:One Computer on Wired Network has no Internet (Win7)

Try these

ping 8.8.8.8
nslookup google.com
ping techspot.com
(1) shows packets going to google's dns
(2) shows you can convert name to ip address
(3) shows access to our site

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/one-computer-on-wired-network-has-no-internet-win7.193364/
Relevancy 33.54%

Hello Guys,
I am looking for list of Public DNS server which like powerful one and I find a list like that:
(Powerful means that I like to have DNS server which should be fast, reliable, high speed and always available)
But I want more, anybody has idea how can I find more?

I am looking forward to hearing from you guys

Thank you so much

Yohann

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/public-dns-server.193245/
Relevancy 28.81%

Help please?

I have recently moved to a rented property and have had fibre broadband installed. The hub is next to the modem which had to be placed at the main telecom entry point to the house. This means that the hub and modem are in the sitting room. I want to have my printer upstairs but do not wish to run a cable all the way from the hub to the printer. I do have a couple of old wireless hubs - a Belkin and a 2-Wire. Would it be possible to put one of these upstairs hardwired to the printer and configure one of these to pick up the wireless signal from the new hub? Or am I mad??

A:Using a router to create connection from a wireless network to a wired printer

Hey winkent. I see a need for more info.

Is your "modem" a combo modem/router, and if so, is it a wireless model?
How many pc's are being used and how do they connect, wired or wirelessly?
Is this printer a network printer (has an Ethernet jack)?
Are these hubs or are they switches?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/using-a-router-to-create-connection-from-a-wireless-network-to-a-wired-printer.192877/
Relevancy 22.36%

Guys,I m thinking about to buy a SSD.Can u tell me how much space needed for WIN 7 64bit.pls include ur space advice that it will also have latest update of win+20% space free(which I found various forum that it is needed for run win smoothly).How about 32GB SSD??????
Thankssssssssssss.

A:How much space needed on SSD for Win7 64-bit

Personally, I wouldn't use anything smaller then a 64GB SSD. A 32GB SSD will be good for a cache drive but not a boot drive. I think the 128GB & 256GB drives work best. They give you a lot of room for OS + Core Programs.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-much-space-needed-on-ssd-for-win7-64-bit.190326/
Relevancy 22.36%

Hi, I just got rid of Win7 32 bit and installed 64 bit, but I screwed up the partition when I was doing the clean install. Right now I have:
Disk 0 74.5GB Online
System Reserved is at 100MB
(C 14.9 GB
Unallocated 59.5 GB

Is there a way that I can remove the partitions all together? I am in the Disk Management in Admin Tools, but unsure of what to do at this point. Any help is greatly appreciated......

A:Just installed Win7 64-bit and screwed up the partitions...

Nevermind..... Figured it out.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/just-installed-win7-64-bit-and-screwed-up-the-partitions.188931/
Relevancy 29.67%

Hi there I ve been searching countless web pages and saw some other people having similar problems as me but I cant find any solution to mine My internet connection was fine until the router went down for maintenance I suppose ipconfig shows that I have an IP address and default gateway as normal The connection on the wired interface is showing I m connected to the internet but I can t ping outside of the default gateway When I tethered an internet connection from another system using the same cable and socket I can use the internet on my pc I ve also tried most of the things I could find but it is still not working Here are the things I have done till now gt ipconfig release gt ipconfig flushdns gt ipconfig renew gt netsh winsock reset catalog gt netsh int ip reset reset log hit gt ran system restore gt installed new drivers for the onboard NIC gt made sure there are no proxy settings and ipv and ipv are set to automatic gt uninstalled all antivirus and disabled firewalls gt plugged in the cable to another system and the internet Wired working Wi-Fi not network but is still works My limitation is I live in an apartment where the connection is provided only via wall Wired network not working but Wi-Fi is socket to their router which I have no access to But since the wall socket is still giving internet on another system im pretty sure it is my pc s problem Please help System spec windows bit Intel R V Gigabit Network Connection nbsp

A:Wired network not working but Wi-Fi is

Post a log of ipconfig /all

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wired-network-not-working-but-wi-fi-is.188787/
Relevancy 22.36%

I just bought the subject laptop, and have no interest in Win8. This laptop will eventually backup an HP2000-100 that the MB no longer recognizes the battery(?another story). The plan is to install the HD from the -100 into 2B00, so far so good. I've been able to boot Win7. On the first boot try I got a message that HD didn't exist, a message to run diagnostics. Ran diagnostics everything passed, except the battery check(? another story). Had to go into the BIOS and enable the Legacy mode. Success Win7 booted with expected anomalies, video, sound, etc., etc.. I just finished downloading from HP the drivers for an HP2000z-300, 160mb. The -300 is the last laptop in the HP2000 series to come with Win7. I'll let you know the results in the morn.

Larry

A:New HP2000z-2B00 downgrade to Win7

The graphics driver has installed and appears to be working. The WiFi, and audio did not install, but the old drivers seem to be working. I'll pursue those further if I have problems.

Larry

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-hp2000z-2b00-downgrade-to-win7.188488/
Relevancy 38.27%

Hi guys quick question,

I was thinking about buying a pair of MM-1s http://www.amazon.com/Bowers-Wilkins-Active-Multimedia-Speakers/dp/B003R6U6HG, but as you probably already know they are a 2.0 set.
As a result, they lack a subwoofer for the "boom!"

Also, currently I have a set of x540 logitech which sounds alright, but I really need something better. So the real question here is am I able to run the digital output out of both my headphone jacks, where the x540 receives sound as well as usb where the MM-1s recieve audio. This way a ghetto 7.1 setup could be made!

Relevancy 19.35%

I Win7(64) no "color scan" with Omnipage17 option see Mailpup or moved me to hardware I doubt this is a hardware issue As indicated below all worked properly under XPSP It is only under Win that this issue has cropped up So I am not sure if this is the best place In short Omnipage is not communicating properly with my Win7(64) no "color scan" option with Omnipage17 Mustek A scanner on a Win system There were no issues with this software and scanner running on xpsp Not sure what I could be missing Any help appreciated Thanks Longer Description Wondering how to get color capability with OP on my Win system Currently all I can get are B amp W and Grayscale for my scan options All scanner quot sizes quot B -A letter and legal are available in the Tools- gt Options - gt Scanner toolbox and they work properly So OP is partially working with the scanner NOTE OP was working properly fully with this scanner on my old xpsp system System Information Omnipage Professional version Product ID OP- - - OS Win Computer Dell Vostro i processor Scanner Mustek SE A USB Pro What I have done Downloaded the lasted drivers ScanExpress A USB WIN zip from Mustek Uninstalled the old driver installation from Device Manager Reboot Reinstall Mustek software Reboot Open Omnipage - gt Tools - gt Options - gt Scanner - gt Setup Download Latest Scanner Database from Nuance Select amp Test Scanner TWAIN SE A USB Pro - gt Next Would you still like to test your device - gt Yes The scanner is already in the database Would you still like to test your device - gt Yes Close any other applications that might be using your scanner - gt Next After running all available tests Omnipage still cannot see the scanner s color capability Testing the Scanner from Control Panel - gt Devices amp Printers - gt Scanner Select Right Click for Properties - gt Diagnostics - gt Test Scanner quot Successfully completed the diagnostic test quot Testing by Control Panel - gt Devices amp Printers - gt Scanner Select Right Click for Properties - gt Start Scan Here the quot Color quot Option is available And it successfully creates a color scan I found no help on this topic at Nuance Either Knowledge base or Forums Google coming up dry too Not sure what I could be missing Any help appreciated Thanks nbsp

A:Win7(64) no "color scan" option with Omnipage17

Typically this is a driver problem. find the driver from the print/scanner manufacturer and dl/install it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/win7-64-no-color-scan-option-with-omnipage17.186106/
Relevancy 32.25%

Hi all
I have a small home network with 3 computers and 1 network printer with a BT Home Hub 2 router.
Computer 1 is PC with Vista home premium sp2 connected by Ethernet.
Computer 2 is PC with XP sp3 connected by Ethernet.
Computer 3 is laptop with Ubuntu 12.04 connected by wireless.

I can see and access everything from C1 (Vista).
I can see but cannot access C1 (Vista) from the other 2. I cannot ping Vista from either of the other 2 and have tried to allow pinging by setting various ICMP settings for this to no avail.

On C1 (Vista) I have Windows Firewall on
Vista settings for Network are:
Private Network
Network Discoveryn
File Sharingn
Public folder sharingn
Printer sharingn
Password protected sharingff
Media sharingff

I am pulling my hair out!
regards
Steve

A:Vista not accessible on home workgroup

Ping only tells you that the adapter ALLOWS ping and the system is up; no mapping or access is implied.

ALL systems must be on the same WORKGROUP name,
ports 137,138,139,445 must be open

the XP machine needs the LLPD protocol and library installed
Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) Responder (KB922120)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...1D-EE46-481E-BA11-37F485FA34EA&displaylang=en

Vista --> Linux
see this story

Linux -->Vista is an Samba config issue

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/vista-not-accessible-on-home-workgroup.185961/
Relevancy 24.51%

Pls anyone who can advise me on how to fix this minor issue.. So I had a windows welcome tune whenever I on my PC.. but after a few minutes, there are no sounds when I watch online or some movies on my pc.. and when I click the audio icon on taskbar, it states that there are no active audio mixers.. So I just go to services.msc and windows audio then start it, then everything's fine.. not until I restart my PC.. it is set to Automatic but it just stops on its own after every restart.. I thought of having a system restore but afraid of what might happen.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/there-are-no-active-audio-mixers-error-despite-having-a-functional-hardware.182911/
Relevancy 37.84%

Hello All,

I want to connect two computers via LAN through a switch(1) hub. in order for these two computers to have internet connection do they require to have access to internet through the switch(1) or can it be individual through wireless card?

is it possible to host a database for some shared program through the switch(1) locally and maintain an internet connection through the wirless network?

Thank you!

A:Connecting two computers via LAN and wireless simultaneously

I am not sure . But a router would be a much safer way to go> Hang in hear some one my have a better answer for you.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/connecting-two-computers-via-lan-and-wireless-simultaneously.182091/
Relevancy 29.67%

Hey guys, wondering if anyone can help me with an issue in having. I have a Netgear wireless router (can't remember model, CGD or CGN something I think) and I'd like to set up a wired connection, the PC is right next to the router/modem and I'd enjoy having the slightly better download speeds with wired however, just plugging in an ethernet cable does nothing (surprise surprise). When I first tried I got Error 651, by fixing up the drivers with a Vista one I got past that but now I'm getting Error 797, I'm stuck here, I have no idea what to do. Any help?

A:Can I use a Netgear router for a wired connection?

Try to access the routers setting page over the wireless, usually for netgear its 192.168.1.1 or 10.0.0.1, and log in using your user and password given to you. Some routers (especically Netgear) will disable ethernet ports unless you specify otherwise for whatever reason. Ususally there is a setting in the router control panel to enable them. Wish you luck

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-i-use-a-netgear-router-for-a-wired-connection.179674/
Relevancy 29.67%

Hi all, Had a friend call me up saying he was having an issue with his internet connection. Having worked for his ISP I went round to have a look and carried out the following:

Windows 7 Professional
Onboard atheros ar8121/ar8113/ar8114 pci-e ethernet controller driver

disabled - reenabled nic
uninstalled and reinstalled nic drivers
netsh firewall reset
netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
changed cable
checked ports on router with another pc all ok
stop and start of DHCP client and DNS
started in safe mode and get same issue
ran Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware no issues found
Used static address information
System restore

constantly got 169 ip address so installed another NIC (Realtek) and then got network cable unplugged. Had them to reinstall windows and just got a call saying they were having the same issue so was wondering if anyone else had any suggestions of things to try.

Many thanks in advance.

A:Wired connection issue

Check in BIOS for NIC settings, check for BIOS update, swap out & try different router, try hooking up directly to the ISPs cable/dsl modem/router... Try a linux live bootable disk to see if issue still occurs. if all else fails low level format hdd then do reload. If it's a rootkit, sometimes doing a windows reload does NOT eliminate the rootkit. I use a utility called CBL data shredder to write 0's or 1's to an hdd. It can be downloaded here: http://www.cbltech.ca/data-shredder.html hope this helps!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wired-connection-issue.180727/
Relevancy 28.81%

I'd like the wireless version of this mouse, but my experience with wireless mice is that they are not as responsive and accurate as a wired mouse. Is that still true and is it true for this mouse? That's if anyone has used both versions.

I'll just go for the wired mouse to be on the safe side probably.

A:How responsive is the Cyborg R.A.T. 9 wireless mouse compared to the wired version?

Wireless mice are just as or even more responsive now than wired mice are

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-responsive-is-the-cyborg-r-a-t-9-wireless-mouse-compared-to-the-wired-version.180156/
Relevancy 22.36%

I moved everything into a server case. The case has a hot plug box for 4 hard drives and since there is no other place I can put them I moved my hard drives in there. I also moved one of my spare drives there so I can use it to store backups. My intention was to plug the drive in, make a backup and remove it. Without having to restart the machine. However once I moved it in there I realized that windows does not see it as removable drive but as normal drive. and there is no "Safely remove your hardware" icon in the tray. Now I am wondering whether it would be safe for me just to remove the drive straight out or do I have to restart it every time?
Thanks.

A:Hotplug in Win7 Home Premium

Was that hard drive that you intend to use just simply for your "back up's", is that hard drive an I.D.E. or SATA or USB?

Because if it's an older styled I.D.E., you will never get that "safely remove hardware" message. Even if the drive is a more modern SATA one, just like with an I.D.E. you will not get that "safe to remove hardware" message as well. But if your drive is a USB styled one, your Operating System should have picked up on what it was, how it was being connected and more importantly, what kind off hook up the device is using. Almost every Operating System I've ever put my hands on, know when something is a USB device, and will almost always display that "safe to remove hardware" message, both by way of ((right clicking)) the device icon itself by way of Windows Explorer, or going for the little icon in the lower right hand corner on your Windows taskbar.

So if it's not a USB device, I'm afraid to properly remove and install the drive, your going to have to power down the computer, each and every time.....sorry!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hotplug-in-win7-home-premium.179051/
Relevancy 21.5%

Hi Everyone I am using a ASUS EeePC PEM as an upgrade from my previous netbook PC Win7 Eee 1015PEM loading Error operating system... Starter My problem started when I seemed to receive an odd windows update The IE stopped Error loading operating system... Eee PC 1015PEM Win7 Starter loading correctly even though my pc Error loading operating system... Eee PC 1015PEM Win7 Starter was connected to the net I stupidly gave it to someone who proudly displays letters after his Error loading operating system... Eee PC 1015PEM Win7 Starter name claiming to know all about computers and two days later he gave it back to me telling me that it claimed to be doing hard drive repairs and now won t do anything I plumped for a system restore as I had all my important stuff on an external hard drive so wasn t too worried about loosing anything When I tried it has continually popped up with the meassage Error loading operating system The restore reportedly comes from a hidden recovery partition It almost seems as though the whole netbook has been wiped and all I have is bios I am now beyond my field of knowledge and hope someone has an answer for me Living in hope Bint xx nbsp

A:Error loading operating system... Eee PC 1015PEM Win7 Starter

O/S error

When I have seen the error report "O/S not found", or similar it has meant the hard drive has failed in some way, probably the circuit that controls the seek arm.
If that has happened then the "system restore" will not work either, because, as you noted, it is a copy of the working O/S but in a separate partition, that is normally not used. Problem is the hidden partition is just a part of the same hard drive that won't work.
If that is the situation, the only real answer is to replace the hard drive, and reinstall the O/S plus the software you need. It is much simpler and cheaper to back up the hard drive while it is working, so that come the day it fails, at least the data is safe, and can be restored to a new hard drive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/error-loading-operating-system-eee-pc-1015pem-win7-starter.175229/
Relevancy 28.38%

My CPU is working hard on something and I don't know what it is. Attached is the hijackthis log.

When playing games as well, suddenly games starts hanging like cpu is being used somewhere else. When I exit, it remains at 0% for sometime, then again starts spiking. I am not sure what the problem is..

Plz help...

PS. Excuse me if this is not the correct forum....redirect if needed.

A:CPU shooting to 40-50% without any active processes

try to disable trend micro , if this doesn't help , go to task manager\processes , and see the process that takes a lot of cpu usage and end it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cpu-shooting-to-40-50-without-any-active-processes.174256/
Relevancy 21.93%

Hello I recently added a rd hard drive to my computer so I could put my two existing HDs in RAID and still have a back up drive I cloned my main drive to my new backup drive and did a fresh Windows -bit install on the new RAID array I ve been able to get all my hardware working except for my X-FI 0 sound RAID on fresh No after from install Win7-64 CreativeLabs ExtremeMusic SB soundcard I ve gotten it to work a few brief times but I can t figure out what driver and control panel versions I used to make it work before I just remember it being a long process of searching online before I found an answer that worked for me Is there anyway to find out what versions I have on my backup HD since it has the correct driver and control panel versions on it Here s a description of my actual soundcard problem When I try play something in media player there is no sound the progress bar doesn t move if I watch a youtube video the progress bar moves but I still get no sound and I have no system sound either My on-board audio when enabled works perfectly My on-board audio is disabled in No sound from X-FI after fresh Win7-64 install on RAID 0 the bios the X-FI shows up in device manager and appears to be installed correctly with the latest drivers for win - I get clicks from my speakers when installing the drivers and I have tried completely uninstalling the card and re-installing it as an admin but I still don t get any sound Any and all help is greatly appreciated nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-sound-from-x-fi-after-fresh-win7-64-install-on-raid-0.174259/
Relevancy 28.81%

Dell Vostro laptop running XP with a Realtek network card connected to a peer to peer network (7 pcs) with a Netgear router providing internet . The laptop has 3 userids defined (one for the main user and two others that are used less than once a year). For some reason I can only enable the wired network connection from one of the IDs (and not the one for the main user). The other two show cable unplugged when try to enable the connection. (The one that does work shows cable unplugged momentarily on enable but then enables with a double click). Upgraded to latest Realtek driver but same result. Also if swap cable same result so it looks like a software issue. All 3 IDs work fine on wireless, but as location is some way from router wireless signal is low so this is not an ideal workaround. Any ideas?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wired-connection-only-connects-on-1-out-3-ids-on-laptop-others-say-cable-unplugged.173401/
Relevancy 32.25%

Hello Techs Initial Problem I sent a technician to fix a computer that wasn t able to log in to the domain The computer is running on Windows XP service pack that I cannot currently log in to Current Problem The technician removed the computer off of the Domain on to a non-existing Workgroup After the mandatory reboot occurred you can no workgroup login non-existing locally, in Can't a longer select from the Can't login locally, in a non-existing workgroup drop down box that is now missing to log in via locally from a domain or choose a Workgroup The new error is the computer is locked out locally Tried Tried the local admin Username and Password with no success Can t use an existing domain Username or Password because it isn t attached to a domain Attempted to start in safe mode with the network cable unplugged so it wouldn t jump to the workgroup and it still didn t work If I can just get on locally I will be able to reverse the Workgroup and reattach it to my domain or troubleshoot it for myself Any ideas Sorry for the long read Thanks in Advance nbsp

A:Can't login locally, in a non-existing workgroup

Fixed and resolved the issue by doing the following:

1. Logged on locally to a machine that was located near the problematic machine.
2. Right-Click My Computer > Manage > Local Users and Groups:
3. Found accounts named 'temp', 'Administrator', 'Guest', 'Support', and our local Admin accounts.
4. Went back to the problematic machine and used 'temp' as the login name since all of our previous local admins accounts have failed. Typed in what use to be the local admin password and bam! Logged in successfully.
5. After logging in we re-added the local admins we had before this entire ordeal, and reset it back from Workgroup to Domain.

Both issues were solved and the costumer is happy. Hope this can help anyone that may have had a similar issue. Check nearby machines to see if there are accounts attached to the machine locally that you may not have remembered placing. I didn't load the machines so I never would have known that temp was there. Good luck and sorry for the long read! We're just happy we didn't have to resort to attaching a linux distro and extracting everything.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-login-locally-in-a-non-existing-workgroup.173080/
Relevancy 33.11%

I recently quot upgraded quot my dsl internet connection which public connections vs Private required a new modem I had to call their tech support for assistance in getting everything up and connected But the connection is now quot public quot instead of private Over the years I ve had to do this many times and they ll always helped me set it up as private I explained my Private vs public connections concerns to the techs and their responses were that the computers are more secure viewing my connection as public because the computers one wired others wireless will automatically turn off any sharing I have set my sharing and discovery settings to off with the exception of p w protect Connection security is WPA -P AES and nothing displays in the list when searching for files amp folders being shared or shared network folders with the exception of the printer I ve always been under the impression that private was more secure than public Are my security concerns founded or am I just in old thought processes and the info I ve received correct Everything I ve read via the Help Private vs public connections amp Support sections of the computers and other places indicates what the techs told me is true Advice please nbsp

A:Private vs public connections

For windows 7 users, see this description of Home, Work, Public connections

How to CHANGE your choice of Location

scroll to the bottom on Location Choice dialogue

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/private-vs-public-connections.172971/
Relevancy 21.93%

I have an older Dell Latitude laptop in which I would like to upgrade the processor.
I purchased the machine as a refurbished model. It has Win7 installed, The typical office programs 2007.

I writing to ask if there is a way to upgrade the CPU without having to disturb the overall OS configuration? If not can someone either give me direction as to how one goes about doing this (w/o WIN7 disc) or a link to where I could get direction as to how to reinstall after the upgrade.
Thank you.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/upgrade-cpu-fresh-win7-install-w-o-disc.170808/
Relevancy 21.93%

The audio on my Asus P E DELUXE WiFi-AP motherboard does not appear to work Windows says that there is no audio output device installed As on from Asus Win7, install device audio won't No drivers such when I plug my speakers in I get No audio device on Win7, drivers from Asus won't install no sound and the sound icon in the notification area continues to display a red circle with an quot x quot The High Definition Audio Controller is installed under Device Manager and appears to be normal However it is listed under System Devices There is no listing for Sound Video amp Game Controllers I am not sure if this is applicable to Win I have disabled and re-enabled the audio controller I have uninstalled it and let Windows reinstall it All to no avail For what it s worth the controller appears to be using a standard No audio device on Win7, drivers from Asus won't install Microsoft driver System info says that no sound devices are installed I have verified multiple times that onboard audio is enabled in the BIOS I have tried disabling the audio in the BIOS booting into Windows shutting down and then re-enabling the onboard audio No go I have attempted to reinstall the Soundmax drivers from ASUS They don t install I receive an error message saying that the audio driver files do not support my hardware I am sure that I am trying to install the correct drivers There is no software installed that would be interfering with the audio and all services look normal Any ideas nbsp

A:No audio device on Win7, drivers from Asus won't install

sound

which speakers are you using and which driver?
because most of the speakers are plug n play...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-audio-device-on-win7-drivers-from-asus-wont-install.169687/
Relevancy 28.81%

Hello this is my first day and hope not the last, I need some help with my laptop, I am looking for a client service for netware and don't seem to fing it any where. I've looked in <start><control Panel><network conections> <local area connection> right click <properties>and I only find '' inertnet protocol'' and Qos packet scheduler. I do not know what to do now, Can anyone help me with that?

A:Welcome screen not active

You may not have it installed, this will tell you how.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5882542_install-netware-client-services.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/welcome-screen-not-active.166496/
Relevancy 37.41%

Hey there I have my PC Connected to both a HDTV through a HD cable and an LCD monitor so am getting both audio and video coming out the TV, what happens is sometimes I will be playing games or youtubing on my PC monitor while my brother is watching a movie on the TV ( which works as my 2nd screen so both audio and video are coming form the same source which is my PC ), and I was wondering if there is a way where I can make the TV plays the movie audio alone, while I get all the other sounds through my headset ?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-it-posible-to-make-my-pc-stream-two-different-audios-simultaneously.166590/
Relevancy 22.36%

I am using rasphone.exe in scheduled tasks with parameter "-d network connection name" that allows to auto-connect dial-up connection is there a way to auto-disconnect this connection using scheduled tasks.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/rasphone-exe-parameters-win7.166264/
Relevancy 29.24%

Hi Everyone I have a HP Officejet A All-in-One Printer which is capable of connecting to the network but has no wireless function I connected it to my wireless router via RJ- and I want to acces it from my laptops via Wireless on the router At the moment the HP Software can t detect the printer on the network on the laptops and hence I can t use the scan functionality I can however use the XP s quot Add Printer quot function to add the printer and it prints perfectly Connect wireless wired all-in-one to printer network I have no issues on wired computers connected to the same router The HP software on those computers can Connect all-in-one wired printer to wireless network detect the printer and I can use all Connect all-in-one wired printer to wireless network of its functionality The laptops are windows XP and the two wired computers are XP and Win The printer and computers are all connected to the same wireless capable router I tried ping on the laptops and I din t get any timeout error The firewalls are all disabled Does anyone have a solution to this problem It is a brand new printer Thanks nbsp

A:Connect all-in-one wired printer to wireless network

this can be done - - WITH CARE.

First issue is to understand what your LAN looks like and what the DHCP range setting is;

get a command prompt (start->run->cmd)
enter IPCONFIG /ALL
the Gateway address will be that of your router; eg 192.168.x.y
assuming you've not changed the default settings,
the X will be different for the make of your router, but typically it is 0 or 1.
the y is almost always 1, but I've seen a few at 254.

To get your A-I-O on that network (and to keep it there), you need to make sure that
the address of the printer [ the y number ]
is not within the router's DHCP range.
Again with bold assumptions, if the router is at 192.168.0.1, then the DHCP range must be from 2 to xyz. I've also seen it from 100-150, so we need to access the router configuration using your browser.

please follow-up with the make and model number of your router so I can tailor the instructions for you ....

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/connect-all-in-one-wired-printer-to-wireless-network.165830/
Relevancy 28.81%

Hi Everyone Im haveing some serious issues with trying to connect my laptop to the internet Im hopeing someone would be abe to find a solution for me below is provided my ipconfig what it said when i tried ipconfig renew and when i pinged the ip address if you need me to post more information im more than happy to I bought a brand new Asus model laptop last month and have been using it perfectly with no interent issuesd at all until about a week ago when all of a sudden it stopped working when I try to connect to a network It says connected and internet access but whenever i try and access the internet through all three browsers i have through steam utorrent even mulitplayer games it just doesnt work Whether its connected wirlessly or directly with the ethernet cable ive tried my home internet neighbours universitys but they all network and wireless No both wired through laptop access to any Internet connect fine just no internet Can someone please be able to help me out also i tried the No Internet access through both wired and wireless to any network laptop winsock fix and also tried rolling back my last wireless update or whatever its called with no fix to the problem PLEASE HELP ME btw it says when im connected connected internet access which is really weird also bluetooth works fine i can connect my wireless headset and listen to music through it Also I just booted and ran Ubuntu off my USB to see No Internet access through both wired and wireless to any network laptop if its a hardware error and Ubuntu ran the internet fine was able to browse the web and everything through ubuntu so its clearly a windows problem When I performed ipconfig Microsoft Windows Version Copyright c Microsoft Corporation All rights reserved C Users Dario gt ipconfig Windows IP Configuration Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Link-local IPv Address fe c c d b e IPv Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Tunnel adapter isatap C C E E -DC - -B D-D C A FFF Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Tunnel adapter isatap C - E- -B EC- E B Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Tunnel adapter isatap F EF C- E- CC- EE-E B BAADEE Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Tunnel adapter isatap D DCC - - D -BB -C CF FB C Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix C Users Dario gt When I performed ipconfig renew Windows IP Configuration No operation can be performed on Wireless Network Connection while it has its media disconnected No operation can be performed on Bluetooth Network Connection while it has its media disconnected No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media disconnected Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Link-local IPv Address fe c c d b e IPv Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Tunnel adapter isatap C C E E -DC - -B D-D C A FFF Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Tunnel adapter isatap C - E- -B EC- E B Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Tunnel ad... Read more

A:No Internet access through both wired and wireless to any network laptop

Hi, can u try using IP fix!!! if doesn't working try to disable your firewall.

and restart your computer!!! if still not working that's mean something wrong with your OS!!!

Thanks

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-internet-access-through-both-wired-and-wireless-to-any-network-laptop.165147/
Relevancy 29.24%

Hi there,

I've just had a new internet connection activated with Sky, but after setting up the router according to the instruction manual I cannot access the internet wirelessly. When I plug in the laptop to the router with the ethernet cable I'm connected fine, but when it comes to connecting wirelessly it says that my connection is unidentified and 'Local Only'.

Probably not enough information but not sure what else to say about it!

Help will be much appreciated

Scooney

A:Can access Internet hard-wired but not wirelessly

Please identify
ISP
modem make+model
router make+model
PC system Make+Model
OS version you are using with SP level installed

With the wired connection, please get a command prompt (Start->Run->CMD)
and enter IPCONFIG /all >myTcp.txt
follow-up by attaching myTcp.txt in your My Documents folder

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-access-internet-hard-wired-but-not-wirelessly.164911/
Relevancy 29.24%

I m sorry - I know this has been asked more than a few times or connectivity/cannot IP on Limited wired renew network no but couldn t find a thread on this particular problem with regards to a wired network Basically at my work there s a public IT room and the internet is fine but every now and again on or computers it isn t At the moment for the last few days computer says limited or no connectivity and if I press repair it says IP address cannot be renewed I took the ethernet cable out and reconnected it I ve rebooted a few times and I also started Limited or no connectivity/cannot renew IP on wired network a cmd prompt and did ipconfig -flushdns as I read somewhere this might sort it Don t really know what to do On the other computer that had this problem I pressed diagnose problem or whatever in explorer and did the reboot and reconnect cable thing and it seemed to fix it I d really appreciate any help you can give me edit I d just like to add that I ve also attempted the winsock fix thayou download and run and it tells you to reboot but to no avail nbsp

A:Limited or no connectivity/cannot renew IP on wired network

Does this computer work fine if plugged in somewhere else? Does another machine (one that you know connects) work if plugged in where this one is?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/limited-or-no-connectivity-cannot-renew-ip-on-wired-network.160622/
Relevancy 21.93%

Hi,

I format my Lenovo y530 notebook today. But there is a problem. After installation, Windows7 doesn't see my videocard. I can't remember exactly but I have a G-force 9300M or 9500M. But in Computer Management, It shown as "Standart VGA Graphics Adapter". How can I find my video card again?

Please help. Thanks for your answers.

A:Win7 doesn't see my video card. Lenovo y530

Windows 7 has installed a generic driver for the card. You need to go the cards manufacturers site and download the correct driver for windows 7. Then unistall the card in Device Manager and then install the new driver.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/win7-doesnt-see-my-video-card-lenovo-y530.160752/
Relevancy 29.67%

I can't use my bluetooth headphone and wired earpiece simultaneously. whenever I connect my bluetooth headphone to my laptop, the wired earpiece stops working.
I'm having Dell XPS L501X with Realtek High Definition Audio and OS Win7
Is there any way to make them work simultaneously?

A:Can't use bluetooth headphone with my wired earpiece!

dreckk said:

I can't use my bluetooth headphone and wired earpiece simultaneously. whenever I connect my bluetooth headphone to my laptop, the wired earpiece stops working.
I'm having Dell XPS L501X with Realtek High Definition Audio and OS Win7
Is there any way to make them work simultaneously?Click to expand...

look at the options of the program , cause sometimes it was configed that way

when you use the blue the wired turns off vice versa

look both in the sound card program options , bluetooth program options , win7

audio options

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-use-bluetooth-headphone-with-my-wired-earpiece.160620/
Relevancy 29.24%

Hi required. wirelessly Networking wired! and Mac a and both *****s a PC guide I m running a music studio with a PC Win XP Home and a MacBookPro Snow Leopard What I d like to Networking a Mac and a PC both wirelessly and wired! *****s guide required. be able to do is the following Have the PC and the MBP access the internet via their wireless connections yup I know easy - done in fact but also Have the MBP and the PC talk to EACHOTHER via a wired connection both machines have gigabit ethernet and the mac i m told will do the crossover automatically ie negating the need for a crossover ethernet cable I d like to be able to transfer sets of large audio files from one machine to the other which via wifi takes forever but I d also like to have both machines access the internet independently of each other I m kind of asking if this is in fact possible and if so how to do it Also what would be useful is Networking a Mac and a PC both wirelessly and wired! *****s guide required. to be able to run Synergy on both machines so I can use the keyboard and mouse of the PC to operate both machines This was easy when I had a PC laptop but now I ve switched to the mac its all a bit different Any help suggestions advice is as always extremely welcome Kind Regards Red nbsp

A:Networking a Mac and a PC both wirelessly and wired! *****s guide required.

MBP?? What do you refer to?

I have Win/XP, a Mac OSX, and RedHat linux all sharing files on the same subnet.
Just connect (anyway you like to the router) and enable Print/File Sharing on all system.

Google File Sharing Mac and PC to get the setup
here's one example

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/networking-a-mac-and-a-pc-both-wirelessly-and-wired-s-guide-required.159089/
Relevancy 28.38%

Hey everyone.. So, let's see.. I just purchased this Dell Optiplex Gx260 and installed it yesterday. So far so good, but once I downloaded a few things like mozilla, google chrome and other things, my audio device disappeared. Now, when I go into the audio device properties, it says its still there and working properly.. Yet it isn't.. Any way I can fix this?

p.s. I'm not very computer savvy, so if you could make it simple, I'd appreciate it..

A:No active mixer devices available

Since this PC is new, do a factory restore, and be careful installing all those browsers

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-active-mixer-devices-available.158376/
Relevancy 28.81%

I just installed Winodws XP Pro and connected it to the companies domain. Where can I download Active Directory from?

A:How do I get active directory?

Active Directory is not something you download - you join a domain with an account that has privileges to do so within the domain. Just change your machine location in Control Panel > System from Workgroup to Domain and enter the domain name. It should then prompt you for credentials.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-i-get-active-directory.157489/
Relevancy 29.67%

In a nutshell, I have a dell inspiron laptop that will say connected to a signal, but the browser will only say web page not found. At first I thought it was a browser issue, but then found it connects just fine with a hard line setup via a lan cable from the router. I have ran scans with malwarebytes, spyware doctor, avast, kaspersky internet security, and ad-aware externally finding a few infections. I also have uninstalled the wireless driver, and reinstalled from a fresh driver download from dell. Still says 'connected' on the wireless, but the browser says 'cannot find web page'. My wireless network is working fine as I have 4 computers hooked up wireless and working fine. I also have tested the laptop on surrounding signals to be sure it wasnt just something about my network the laptop didnt like. same results all around.
Any ideas what to try next?

A:Wired LAN connects, but not wireless

let's get some documentation of the configuration.

Connect via Ethernet and then attempt to also connect the WiFi (ie both at the same time).

Now get a Command Promt (Start->Run) and then enter ipconfig /all >myTCP.txt

Attach myTCP.txt to your follow-up and describe the OS and Version of your system.

Has the WiFi EVER connected to your router?
Have you used your system at a hotspot (assuming a laptop)?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wired-lan-connects-but-not-wireless.155721/
Relevancy 21.5%

heya everyone,

I hope someone here can help.

I have windows 7 ultimate and a nvidia network card.

when Deep Freeze is set to Boot Frozen - my network will not work "Unidentified Network" unless i manually change the IP. Same thing happens even if Auto IP is set..

But when Deep Freeze is set to Thawed - my network works perfect.

i have tested this with the lastest verison of DF and a older one and same probelm.
Can anyone point me in the right direction.

thanks in advance,

A:Deep freeze Win7 problem, network stops working

There may be a compatibility problem between Deep Freeze and Windows 7

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/deep-freeze-win7-problem-network-stops-working.154960/
Relevancy 32.68%

I was just wondering if anyone can help me with something?

Basically I'm trying to sort out having some automatic messages pop up on the computers in the public IT room where I work as we're having problems with usage and restrictions so we want to be able to tell the public easily what they can and can't do especially as they seem to have complete disregard for the signs that are up everywhere e.g. no eating/drinking etc....

The computers are all on a simple LAN (I think), but after a quick google I had a lot of confusing stuff all trying to promote intranet programs etc....

I'm fairly savvy, just want a push in the right direction.

Thanks guys!

A:Need Automatic Messages to pop up on public computers on a LAN

Can't give you the details (as i've never used it myself) but you might conider using the Windows Alerter Service.
> It was intended to set administrative alert pop-up messages to machine on a network
> You need to assure the Alerter Service is Enabled on each machine (by default it's Disabled)
> YOU MUST BE CAREFUL that your External firewall has the alerter service port closed!! (you'll have to look up the port number. i dont recall it) BECAUSE:
===> SPAMMERS on outside networks used to send messages to users on internal networks by spamming messages to the open port used by Alerter Service

But if that port remains DISABLED at the WAN interface level, i think it shouldn't be a problem

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-automatic-messages-to-pop-up-on-public-computers-on-a-lan.154014/
Relevancy 22.36%

I am having some serious head-ache troubles and I am at a stand still. I have done all of the following in different orders to no avail: disable/enable card, uninstall card/drivers, uninstall all nvidia folders(physx,drivers,etc), drivesweeper'd everything, reinstalled latest drivers. Also, I believe that the main problem was Windows 7 was detecting and installing the drivers and further delaying the problem, so I turned of automatic updates and installations. Yet, it still sees' it as a 295gtx even if it doesnt install any drivers.Finally, I obviously cant get any video from it and have to use on-board to navigate. Any thoughts out there that could diagnose the problem? Possibly card bios update needed? Thanks ahead of time for any information.

A:Win7 64 260gtx recognized as 295gtx?

did you just get the video card and if you did, did you buy it used or new. If you didnt just buy the video card did you try to flash the bios.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/win7-64-260gtx-recognized-as-295gtx.153802/
Relevancy 21.93%

hi
i have a win7 video driver gateway 7330
loaded win7 ultimate
video driver flaged in dev mngr
probably need audio drv also
video seems fine no sound after install

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/win7-video-driver-gateway-7330.153571/
Relevancy 22.36%

Im unsure which OS I should use on my old laptop for college. Im currently attending John jay college and every computer there is using windows XP. So for reports, etc I would need it to be able to open and view on a windows PC if necessary. I currently have Windows Vista 32bit Home Premium.

My system is as follows:

I was looking into Windows 7 Home premium, or Ubuntu.
*Im unsure but I believe my laptop wont run with 64bit Win7 but I dont understand the requirements for that.

I need a computer that will shut off quickly for changing classes. I have to keep my laptop plugged in b/c this laptop battery wont last.

Which would you recommend?

A:Win7 or Ubuntu for college

Vista will do everything you want, so why change?
You could easily dual-boot Ubuntu, and Open Office will open just about any document.
The Win7 upgrade adviser may help:
https://www.microsoft.com/downloads...90-7659-4bd9-9e51-2497c146af15&displaylang=en

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/win7-or-ubuntu-for-college.152171/
Relevancy 28.81%

My laptop can connect wirelessly to my network but it cannot connect via it s wired NIC Actually skype will still work but outlook mail and browsers do not The Wired fine other. one Wireless is issue: works home, DHCP at not the cat cable is Wired DHCP issue: works at one home, not the other. Wireless is fine ok I Wired DHCP issue: works at one home, not the other. Wireless is fine have tested it on another computer The NIC is ok My wired connection works just fine at my other house let s call it Location which Wired DHCP issue: works at one home, not the other. Wireless is fine has a similar setup So in summary At Location my wireless connection receives an expected DHCP IP Address of At location my wireless AND wired connections both receive expected addresses I don t connect them at the same time At Location here is the problem my wired connection receives a crazy address When I ipconfig release and renew this wired address it doesn t change Any ideas Thanks Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Broadcom NetXtreme xx Gigabit Controller Physical Address ------- DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe c d d ed f Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Wednesday August PM Lease Expires Thursday August AM Default Gateway fe aff fefb b DHCP Server DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Intel R Wireless WiFi Link AGN Physical Address -------- DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe xxxxxx Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Wednesday August PM Lease Expires Wednesday August PM Default Gateway fe aff fefb b DHCP Server DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled My configuration is Cable modem - gt DIR- router - gt dlink -port gigabit switch then off the -port switch are DAP- wireless access point extender -port dlink gigabit switch Windows pc s XP pc s a bunch of stereo equipment tv xbox etc nbsp

A:Wired DHCP issue: works at one home, not the other. Wireless is fine

kcrouse96h said:

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-------
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::c959:894d:d1ed:6f%12(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 116.86.68.15(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.254.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::226:5aff:fefb:5b26%12
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.17.0.48
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00--------
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80xxxxxx(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.30(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::226:5aff:fefb:5b26%11
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : EnabledClick to expand...

Notice that the WiFI IPv4 address and the gateway+dns addresses are all on the same subnet (a requirement :grinthumb )
The Wired Nic is a mess; the IPv4 address is not connected to the same gateway + DNS subnet.

For Win/XP, uninstall IPv6;
For your Win/7 just disable IPv6 and reboot.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wired-dhcp-issue-works-at-one-home-not-the-other-wireless-is-fine.151171/
Relevancy 28.81%

I am having problems with my internet connection periodically dropping out and for no obvious reason If I leave the PC for a period of time then return to it the internet connection has dropped and neither Chrome nor IE browser internet Wired using periodically DrayTek - out connection drops router can access the web Each time this Wired internet connection periodically drops out - using DrayTek router happens I use the IE option quot Diagnose Connection Problems quot Windows runs the diagnostics check tells me to turn the router off and on again and wait three minutes then press quot Continue quot Within minutes it gives me the message quot Internet connectivity has been restored quot and I am online again The last few times this has happened I have received a screen from my Zone Alarm free firewall saying a new network has been detected I have attached a screen grab to show this - could the problem be with my firewall as well as my router A friend suggested I go into Device Manage Network Adapters section and untick the box labelled quot Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power quot under the Power Management tab Although it looked promising for a few hours this hasn t fixed the problem The broadband is with Eclipse - my employer provides broadband to my home address to enable me to work from home so I may be limited in what control I have over the router settings They have provided a DrayTek router model quot Vigor n quot and I connect using an ethernet cable I also use the wireless function of the router to connect with my work laptop when working from home and I don t seem to have the same problem I read elsewhere that using P P software can affect routers in this way I do have uTorrent on my own desktop so could this be a factor Hope someone can help me - I am happy to provide scan logs or any other info Thanks very much nbsp

A:Wired internet connection periodically drops out - using DrayTek router

Look for interference sources. Be sure none of the equipment is within 10 inches of any surface such as a wall, and is 12 inches or more from any corner... or heat source... or electrical fan or special lighting.

Some TV or video screens can also have an influence if within 20 inches.

Didn't see your screen grab.

Can we assume you have attempted to uninstall, then install to a different setting?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wired-internet-connection-periodically-drops-out-using-draytek-router.150903/
Relevancy 29.67%

I have kind of a strange situation (I think) let me explain and see if someone can point me in the right direction. I currently have a wireless network up and running. I get a string wireless signal throughout most of the house.

I recently added a internet ready TV in another room. The TV has an ethernet port, and is not capable of wireless connection to my existing network.

Without running any ethernet cable all over the house, how can I get the TV connected to my existing network???

Can I add another wirless router close to the TV, run a cable from the TV to the new router, and have the two wireless routers connect??

Im currently using a lynksys WRK54,

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

A:Wired / wireless hybrid network

Hey, what your saying would be using the second router as a sort of repeater and then using one of the switch ports on the back to connect the TV to the router.
In this case, you could just use a wireless adapter. If the TV has USB, I believe you can use that, if not. there are USB to Ethernet adapters that you can use to connect the adapter to your TV.
This would also cost a fraction of the price, since the only routers that I know of that can work as repeaters are DD-WRTs with the firmware upgrade.

This was my first attempt at helping someone out, so I hope I was at least some help lol.

Justin

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wired-wireless-hybrid-network.150436/
Relevancy 28.81%

I bought a Belkin G Wireless Router about 8 months back.

Starting a few weeks ago, I've had to set a static IP address to my recently built computer (sitting at 192.168.2.10 right now) for it to not disconnect every few minutes.

I then noticed that no wireless devices (tested with 2 Laptops and Ipod Touch) could connect. If I restarted the router and did NOT connect anything to it, it would connect with local access only. If I attempt to set the router up using the CD that came with the packaging, it claims it cannot connect to the internet, and then proceeds to actually kick me off the net.

Does anyone have any clue what coulda caused this?

As far as I know, I've not changed anything.

A:Cannot connect to Wireless, but wired works fine, with kinks

Which OS? Is the NIC adapter (USB, PCI, PC-Card Bus, miniPCI (onboard))

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cannot-connect-to-wireless-but-wired-works-fine-with-kinks.150288/
Relevancy 19.78%

My home desktop is connected to a wireless router through AT&T U-verse and it's broadcasting just fine. I can see the name and everything when I try and connect on my laptop but there is always an error that brings me to a troubleshooting screen. I've made sure the password is correct by going to Start-Run, IPCONFIG and then typing my IP address into the address bar in my browser. I dont know what else I can do, I feel like I've tried everything! Help please.

A:Laptop (Win7 Dell Inspiron 1525) won't connect to desktop (XP Dell) wireless router

Sometimes, you need to replace the router.
Sometimes, you can call your service provider and ask them to take a look on line to see if the subscription needs to be refreshed.
But often, all that is needed (despite the fact that it is a lot of work) is to uninstall your existing system, then reboot, and reinstall everything.
You might also find success by looking at your device manager in Windows to see if you have any grey, red, or yellow flags by any related device. That may show you have a permanent hardware failure if you cannot restore it, then you are off to the store or your provider for a new cable modem or router.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-win7-dell-inspiron-1525-wont-connect-to-desktop-xp-dell-wireless-router.149377/
Relevancy 29.67%

I bought a new router today TP -LINK TL-WR N It s a wireless router which i have to connect my ethernet wire from my adsl modem ethernet port to the WAN port of this router I configured this router using my sister s laptop Then i successfully configured it and i can use wireless via my laptop But my sister s laptop cannot use wireless It can find the wireless connection and connect not to Can wired but wireless can connect For a minute it will say limited connectivity and then it will say connected with excellent signal But she cannot browse any website and even the web management of the router Miraculously when she connects the ethernet wire from the router to her laptop Can connect to wired but not wireless s ethernet port she can browse internet finely Which means the Can connect to wired but not wireless router doesnt have problem because my sister s laptop can access wired connection via it and i can access both wired and wireless connection via it my sister is using Windows xp and i have tried to clear the ip add at ipv and also set a ip I Can connect to wired but not wireless have also tried to check whether there is any proxy but all is fine So im totally clueless I even disabled the LAN port and still it does not work I have also disabled and enabled the wireless and restarted the computer I thought maybe the firewall is having problem but i cannt access the windows firewall It says quot due to unidentified problem windows cannot display windows firewall settings quot i copy and paste the command prompt when i entered ipconfig all Microsoft Windows XP Version C Copyright - Microsoft Corp E Documents and Settings admin gt IPCONFIG ALL Windows IP Configuration Host Name admin- fa e f Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Unknown IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Atheros AR X Wireless Network pter Physical Address - - -CB- - A Dhcp Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IP Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway DHCP Server DNS Servers Lease Obtained Sunday June PM Lease Expires Sunday June PM The only major difference that i see from my laptop s with my sister s laptop is the node type Thank You so much nbsp

A:Can connect to wired but not wireless

My first thought is you should not post all off your IP info

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-connect-to-wired-but-not-wireless.148455/
Relevancy 29.67%

Just got Road Runner Turbo, but my speed is still awful. I'm running though a wireless G and would like to plug directly into the computer and test it again.
I unplugged from the router and plugged into the computer but got no internet. I set up (or thought I set up) a new connection and got nothing.

A:Switching from wireless to wired

use the Device Mgr to verify there are no Red or Yellow Flags on the Network Devices.

Disable the WiFi device will make it easier to use the Network Wizard
CP->Network Connection Wizard

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/switching-from-wireless-to-wired.148693/
Relevancy 22.36%

I ve never had a problem with my display card before I upgraded to windows My fps in IAH Dragonica is running at approximately - It was a smooth ish before There is also a considerable amount of lag in games like Outspark s Secret of the Solstice and NCsoft s Aion which I normally played with little to no lag on windows xp I have read around and saw something about ATI dropping support for the xx cards in win but that was said in articles last year I could not find anything recent about compatibility between the x win7 Slower upgrade fps after xx and win I have installed a vista version of the ATI Catalyst since it was encouraged I m not a computer-hardware-configuration-tweaking-saavy person so you might have to baby Slower fps after win7 upgrade me through this Could someone help me with configuring my computer to accommodate the new OS I would very much prefer to keep the card and just configure it to the best settings possible Maybe upgrade a few things like RAM if needed I do not have a big budget but am willing to spend a little if that is what it takes Thank you in advance Intel Pentium D Dual Core GHz GB RAM Slower fps after win7 upgrade Windows Ultimate bit ATI Radeon x series MB Latest version of ATI Catalyst for Vista If there is anything else you need to know in order to help me out I m more than happy to look it up and tell you nbsp

A:Slower fps after win7 upgrade

Latest version of ATI Catalyst for VistaClick to expand...

When you say latest, do you mean 9.3? That was the last Catalyst version that supported your card.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/slower-fps-after-win7-upgrade.148300/
Relevancy 29.67%

Here s exactly what happened I ve been trying to get my router to support an airport wireless adapter and an Xbox I have computers that currently connect to the airport adapter just fine but only when I directly connect that adapter to the modem Earlier today I was toying around with the router I manually reset it once because I forgot the password and username Router Need wired Linksys a with help After that I went to the router home page and attempted a firmware update I uploaded the file that I got from the Need help with a wired Linksys Router Linksys website yes I m positive it was for the right router and eventually it said settings are successfully updated or w e I had the option to click a continue tab so I did it but that s when everything turned to hell I haven t been able to get Need help with a wired Linksys Router the router to work since Whenever I reset everything and reconnect it all I just tries to acquire the network address and eventually says limited or no connectivity I followed the instructions for the firmware update to the T When I try to Need help with a wired Linksys Router run the set up disc provided by Linksys it says it can t detect the router and won t go past step The weird thing about it is that after the firmware update my connection was screwed but then I disabled the wired LAN connection in the device manager ran a windows network setup and my connection was miraculously restored for about - minutes I had enough time to look at the router home page again and the version next to the firmware wasn t the one that I downloaded so I m assuming that the updated was unsuccessful I have tried to manually reset the router or times now and nothing is working The router is a BEFSR version wired Anyone have any thoughts or info on how to fix this I d greatly appreciate it nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-help-with-a-wired-linksys-router.148221/
Relevancy 28.81%

Hi there I just bought a wbr- dlink wireless router My network situation cable modem hooked up to the dlink router with wired desktop PCs and a wireless Wii connecting I bought the dlink because my previous aging router web D-Link wired wbr page 2310 intermittent resolving stopped D-Link wbr 2310 intermittent wired web page resolving functioning and because it was cheap which I diagnosed by D-Link wbr 2310 intermittent wired web page resolving plugging each of the computers into the modem directly D-Link wbr 2310 intermittent wired web page resolving The connection was perfect in that case but neither computer could connect to anything with the router in between I tried switching ethernet cables that were between the router and modem as well So that establishes that neither the computer nor modem had any issues and that the router which performed admirably to this point suddenly died Now on to the DLink router After installing the dlink I immediately noticed a huge difference between how it functioned compared to the previous router For some reason most basic web page connections will fail unless - refresh reloads are done on the page I can t say the connection drops completely as I ve played online video games without disconnection but web page viewing has become extremely painful Is there anything I can do with this router to fix this extreme intermittent web page resolving issue nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/d-link-wbr-2310-intermittent-wired-web-page-resolving.148047/
Relevancy 28.81%

Is there a way to tell what is running when the HDD led is active in Windows 7?

A:Can I tell what's running when my HDD is active?

DKHardDrive-Light

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-i-tell-whats-running-when-my-hdd-is-active.146797/
Relevancy 29.24%

Hi Y'all - I have a desktop computer running XP and nice reasonably fast Broadband on virgin media. I'm quite happy with the setup and don't want to go messing about with installing a wireless router in place of the Virgin Broadband Modem. I am getting a wifi Laptop for my wife and want to "Piggy-Back" it off my desktop. Someone told me I could get a "Dongle" that would sit in a USB port on my desktop and relay to the laptop via wifi.
Is this possible ? I can't find such an item.

A:Connect wireless laptop to wired desktop

jameswwa said:

Hi Y'all - I have a desktop computer running XP and nice reasonably fast Broadband on virgin media. I'm quite happy with the setup and don't want to go messing about with installing a wireless router in place of the Virgin Broadband Modem. I am getting a wifi Laptop for my wife and want to "Piggy-Back" it off my desktop. Someone told me I could get a "Dongle" that would sit in a USB port on my desktop and relay to the laptop via wifi.
Is this possible ? I can't find such an item.Click to expand...

NO

The USB WiFi adaptor is the receiver side that would access a WiFi router or Access Point (AP).
You need the transmitter side so that wife's laptop can connect to it.

IMO, wrong approach.

what you have (apparently) is
Code:

VB Modem ===>Your Desktop
what you are attempting looks like
Code:

VB Modem ===>Your Desktop - - wifi - - laptop
1) this requires the ICS active on the desktop and
2) then put a wifi router(or AP) for the laptop to connect to.
If you're going to get another router then --

what you really want to do is
Code:

VB Modem ===>new wifi router ===wired ==>Your Desktop
|
+ - - - wifi connection to the laptop

This is NOT replacing the VB modem, but adding to it downstream so all the VB settings are left asis

This has the advantage of
allowing either system to be powered off and still allow the other to get Internet access
avoid network complication and degredation of the 'pass-thru' and extra routing downstream
The only thing that you need to do is to set the Mascrade the MAC address to that of your desktop NIC.

The remainder of the setup is in the new router which wifi would require regardless which side of your system to attach to.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/connect-wireless-laptop-to-wired-desktop.146612/
Relevancy 29.24%

I just upgrade my system to wireless N with a TP-Link router. My laptop is using a cheap USB N adapter and is running at 160 mbs. But my wired desktop is only running at 100 mbs with the motherboards gigabit NIC. There is a very noticeable performance difference especially with streaming video. Youtube and Hulu run great on the laptop but slow on the desktop. It was just the opposite when I had the Wireless G router. Any ideas?

A:Wired computer slower than wireless laptop

I think I figured it out. I assumed that the new router had gigabit ethernet ports but it turns out most routers still use 10/100 ports.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wired-computer-slower-than-wireless-laptop.145617/
Relevancy 32.68%

I have looked everywhere and i cannot find a way to change the static ip on the gateway itself. I need to change it because some kid with a botnet loves to hit my ip, and i have no way to defend against it, because it is a static ip. I have called att, they wont change it. i seem to remember a while back when i had a gateway, and the public ip would change with every reboot of the gateway.
what can i do?

A:How can I change public ip on 2Wire 3800HGV-B?

1) Do you have dynamic or static IP service from ATT? If really do have have static IP from ATT then they are the only ones who assign it.. and they are the only ones who control it. Nothing you can do if they don't do it

2) What kind of problems? The router firewall should block any access/attacks

/* edit */
And you are aware you pay "extra" to ATT for a static IP?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-can-i-change-public-ip-on-2wire-3800hgv-b.145986/
Relevancy 38.27%

Hello,
I'm hard of hearing and our TV sound isn't the greatest, so I struggle to hear what's being said when watching shows. I enjoy using headphones, but that only works when I'm not watching with my wife.

I use my laptop with HDMI output to the TV. It seems I can choose to either run sound through the headphones or the HDMI cable, but not both. Is there any way to run both sound outputs simultaneously?

I have WIndows 7 with smart audio...

Thanks!

A:Headphones & Speakers simultaneously

Ok normally this depends on the sound driver. Try downloading the latest driver for you laptop and check if it works, if not come back.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/headphones-speakers-simultaneously.144450/
Relevancy 27.95%

Hi apologies if this is in the wrong forum cant seem to find one that fits Right here s the background so you understand My new company has just given me a nice smart samsung omnipro PDA This has been setup sync Active contacts of sets 2 to sync with the works exchange Active sync 2 sets of contacts server via GPRS and download my mail contacts etc etc However i am still with my old company for the next few days and on their exchange server i have stored in my contacts about years worth of phone numbers of pretty much everyone i have needed to speak to Now im not leavng the old company as such the of them have partnered up so i need the phone numbers of about of them I access my exchange for the old company through Outlook using a secure HTTPS connection this means that i can see and edit my contacts mail etc etc i can only access my new company via an web based version of outlook Ok here s the problem having setup a partnership with my laptop via active sync it sees my outlook account and the PDA shows both the laptop account and the work account But if i sync to outlook on my laptop and thus get my old works contacts then when i try to change it to also then get my new company contacts via the GPRS connection activesync deletes the existing contacts In other words i cant sync both sets of contacts as doing one deletes the other I am sure there is an answer to this but i cant seem to find it nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/active-sync-2-sets-of-contacts.143840/
Relevancy 22.36%

my brother has an acer 5335 that was bought with windows vista basic. I have recently upgraded his laptop to Window 7 ultimate and now he has no stereo mixer. The stereo mixer was fine on vista and i have downloaded latest audio drivers and enabled all audio devices in recording options yet still no success. Any ideas?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-stereo-mix-after-upgrade-to-win7.143569/
Relevancy 30.1%

Hi everyone,

Today I was asked to setup a small network for a classroom. I need to network 4 computers and share a single printer. They also need Internet access (this is where it gets tricky for me).

I was thinking a simple switch would do the job (sharing the printer and networking the machines), but what about the Internet? A single UTP cable coming from another classroom brings the Internet here (this cable is connected to a 48-port switch, which is connected to a 2 wire modem/router provided by the ISP).

So do you think I could just use that cable, connect it to the switch and configure it to share the Internet? I hope I explained this good enough

Thanks =)

A:Setting up a wired sub-LAN

let's try to get a map of what you have:
Code:

isp --- modem/router---48port.switch-->classrooms
and one of the 48 comes to you, right?

you have ONE port on the switch, but need four systems to share it. That will require your
modem/router to support more that 48 connections, ie the DHCP service it provides needs more that 48 addresses.

The for-sure solution is to take
Code:

48port.switch-->your.classroom->new.router
this will isolate your classroom from the other 47 connections but still allow Internet connectivity.

Attach your printer to ONE of your four systems and use Print/File Sharing for your class use. (the other classrooms will not see you at all.)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/setting-up-a-wired-sub-lan.143417/
Relevancy 27.52%

Hi,

I have an application that I want to use for long periods of time, but the internet connection needs to be up. Now, to save power I thought that I could put my computer in to sleep mode, but everytime it sleeps, it loses internet connection.

My question is: Can the internet connection stay active during sleep mode? And if so, how can I do that?

I have already tried unchecking 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' option on my network adapter, but without results.

Any help is greatly appreciated, and I look forward to replies...

-Marty

A:Active Internet connection during sleep mode?

No. If the computer is sleeping the internet connection can't be active (i.e. which would mean you also have a program running handling the connection, transfering data plus then you have memory in use and disk etc. so how much of your computer could really be asleep anyway

/* edit */
just fyi: the connection is allowed to be "awake" only to look for remote "wake up from sleep" type requests coming remotely. No other type of internet activity supported in sleep mode

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/active-internet-connection-during-sleep-mode.143288/
Relevancy 29.24%

I am the proud owner of a new laptop Yay I have an interesting and confounding problem Plugged in my new laptop acer TZ Window bit Home Premium at home recognized wireless logged on and promptly downloaded MB of updates I also have a gigabit wired network and thought I would use that to watch a movie online No connection over wired network Joined my home workgroup this took several days wirelessly but no connection wired Took my laptop to work and it sees wireless/wired not access internet but Connected and connects to my wireless but no internet connection Plug in the wired and it immediately connects to the network and internet Disabled windows and McAfee firewalls to no avail At home - easy connection Connected but not internet access wireless/wired to wireless and network Nightmare joining home workgroup No wired connectivity At work - plug in wire and connects and sees other computers on the network Sees wireless connects not internet access WTF My other laptops run Linux and have not had anything like this Very frustrating Any ideas nbsp

A:Connected but not internet access wireless/wired

Control panel----Internet options--double click----click connection tab at the top---skip setting and go down to Local area network (LAN) settings-----click the button, LAN settings------
check the box to auto detect settings, then click the OK button.
This should auto configure your providers IP address, and all the other pertinent info for that provider.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/connected-but-not-internet-access-wireless-wired.142076/
Relevancy 29.67%

im having packets coming from my internet modem and stopping at my router
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj10/dustin_ds3000/Untitled.png

and im getting wired ips on my routers incoming logs

ip protocol port rule location
92.105.11.59 UDP 50684 Dropped Switzerland
212.118.142.77 UDP 50684 Dropped Saudi Arabia
i play online games and this is causing me major lag

also when i look at my Local Area Connection Status i see no data coming in or out

A:Wired incoming bandwidth from internet

can anyone help me out

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wired-incoming-bandwidth-from-internet.141297/
Relevancy 28.81%

I just assembled a Pentium 4 rig with ASUS mobo P4S800D-X and apparently I am having internet connection issue with wired connection. I am connecting through a router and all internet connection are test to work fine with my other computer. I was able to connect wirelessly using a USB internet adapter. It is just the wired connection that is not functioning. I have consulted with ASUS tech support and at first they told me to uninstall the network adapter and reinstall and still problem not solved. Then they said could be a TCP/IP stack issue so they told me to download the SP3 and still issue not resolved.

Does anyone have any issue similar to this that can help me figure out this weird problem?? Thanks.

A:Unable to acquire network address with wired connection

I would first try updating the driver for your network card, and then try a different card altogether.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/unable-to-acquire-network-address-with-wired-connection.140502/
Relevancy 36.98%

Hi there

I have an Acer Aspire laptop and bought a little bass speaker that will enhance what I currently have on my laptop.

Only problem however is that when plugging this speaker into the headphone jack my internal speakers don't play anymore.

How can I play through both my internal laptop speaker and through this external speaker at the same time.

Your help would be much appreciated!
Warren

A:Play sound through internal speakers and headphones simultaneously

For most systems dual sound is impossible. Actually I'm not sure if that is possible at all on any card at all...I've browsed around the internetz, and this is what everyone seems to say on this subject.
My advice would be if you are using your laptop for home use only, just go buy external speakers as well, as long as you have 2 sound ports. If not you can get a splitterand plug both the bass and speakers in that.
Sorry I couldn't be of much more help!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/play-sound-through-internal-speakers-and-headphones-simultaneously.140707/
Relevancy 22.36%

If it s not one thing it s another to - audio Upgraded Win7 not various working I m having a bad week with audio it seems On my main PC I upgraded to Windows a Upgraded to Win7 - various audio not working couple of weeks back Now skype is failling ventrilo is failing After doing a little research ventrilo FAQ s confirmed what i suspected There is something seriously wrong with your sound card drivers or sound mixer configuration Here is what I have as far as audio mobo MOTHERBOARD Asus P T SE Intel X Chipset CrossFireX Mainboard Triple-Channel DDR SATA RAID w eSATA GbLAN USB IEEE a amp Audio TechSpot reviewed it highly and I went for it I did find this for drivers http members driverguide com driver detail php driverid amp action winfo but I m not familiar with this site and as I mentioned in another thread I m not very well versed in Mobo Sound card driver updating etc Can one of you kind techspot folks point me in the right direction nbsp

A:Upgraded to Win7 - various audio not working

OK~ I haven't given up on my own search and it dawned on me to just go to the asus site! genious ain't I? LOL

I found this: http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P6T SE&product=1

Is it safe for me to just download the audio drivers for this mobo and proceed?

THANKS!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/upgraded-to-win7-various-audio-not-working.140506/
Relevancy 22.36%

I'm getting components together for a replacement for my E6400 machine.So far I have
Centurion 5 case
24" monitor
win 7 64bit
1T hard drive & 320 hard drive
2 DVD burners (blu ray later)
Pny 9800 GT 1024mb EF
Earthwatt 500 EA500 PSU(2yr old never used)
i5 cpu(don't have yet )
Undecided on motherboard and ram(leaning toward Gigabyte)
I don't do much gaming or overclocking but I'd like too be able to if I want
My questions are
Will my power supply be enough?
Is my video card OK ( I can still take it back pd $100 for it )
Need help on motherboard (don't need a high end one but a good one )
Need ram 4 g or More ?
I'll be buying this from Newegg
Thanks for your advice an help
I've enjoyed this forum its been most helpful

A:Suggestion for Core i5, Win7 build

I would look for a more powerful PSU if your looking to go i5 and have a decent videocard. The 9800GT in your current build is fine, pretty balanced, but with an i5 the 9800GT is going to be your weak link, I would really look to step up the videocard while your at it. 4GB of RAM should be plenty enough also.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/suggestion-for-core-i5-win7-build.138798/
Relevancy 37.84%

Is there a way to play sounds through different sound devices at the same time I want to have a conversation with someone on Skype and use Windows s quot listen to this device quot to have both my voice and his come through both my speakers for recording and my headset so I can still hear what he says without the feedback from the speakers I won t actually be outputting through speakers they ll be unplugged I just need it to come out of that output so I can use quot Stereo sound devices simultaneously different 2 through Playing Mix quot to stream both our voices together So is there any way to do that Play the same sounds through both audio devices Edit Another example I can use Windows s quot Listen to this device quot feature to listen to my USB microphone through my main speakers then use Stereo Mix to restream that back into an input This lets me play music also through my speakers Playing sound through 2 different devices simultaneously and have both my music and my voice coming through Stereo Mix s input Unfortunately I can t listen to the music I m playing when I use this method and I d Playing sound through 2 different devices simultaneously liek to be able to How can I play my music through both my speakers and my headset at the same time nbsp

A:Playing sound through 2 different devices simultaneously

I haven't found a way to do this yet, I have a sound card connected to some speakers and a USB headset and they only work one at a time. It is possible if you have a non-USB (i.e.3.5mm) headset and a 3.5mm splitter.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/playing-sound-through-2-different-devices-simultaneously.139169/
Relevancy 28.81%

All right guys off the bat i just want to let you all know im a hard network Wacky wired and issue wireless intermittent graduated technician and i repair and install networks and computers for Wacky wireless and hard wired intermittent network issue a living i know the in s and out s Wacky wireless and hard wired intermittent network issue with just about everything i have troubleshooted this issue to the nuts Still it keeps creeping up on me Here is Wacky wireless and hard wired intermittent network issue what im running Hard wired PC s one with Windows and the other with Windows XP Hard wired free to air satellite receiver Hard wired free to air satellite receiver connected by a Dreamstar Powerline adapter sends internet through an adapter in the power outlet of ones residence to another adapter on the receiving end Wireless machines laptop running Win w Vista and w XP The th machine is a desktop with a wireless adapter running vista The router im running is a brand new Dlink Wireless N Extreme Router DIR- NOTE I was having the same issue with my Telus modem router combo opting for a Telus modem and purchasing this router hoping that would solve the problem Unfortunately it did not The problem This happens on any given laptop wireless or PC wired periodically also at times the satellites will cut out as well intermittently It seems to be in no particular order Now when this happens the computers affected are still connected to my network the wireless machines connect yet CANNOT acquire internet connection Same with the hard wired PC s Connected but with limited or no connectivity no internet Seemed like a IP conflict to me in the beginning but when accessing my router and checking the status all machines and devices are connected with their individual IP s I disabled wireless security and MAC address filtering i know i m vulnerable for attack but i wanted to take security out of the equation of my problem Temp FIX When this happens i found if i power off my router unplug all hard wired devices power router back on allow all wireless machines to acquire connection check them all Internet working than plug in the hard wired individually until they acquire internet connection and than the next and so on than VOILA everything is working For now Than at some point in time possibly when the router gets a new IP from my ISP or when a machine is restarted but not always something happens and develops this issue I hope one of you guys is a step up on me with this and can explain what you think this might be and what i can do to fix it If you can you are a freaking GENIUS Also most of the time this issue effects my computers mostly majority of the time my satellites are up and running nbsp

A:Wacky wireless and hard wired intermittent network issue

1 Hard wired free to air satellite receiver ?
1 Hard wired free to air satellite receiver connected by a Dreamstar Powerline adapter. (sends internet through an adapter in the power outlet of ones residence to another adapter on the receiving end)Click to expand...

Is this a Satellite connection to the ISP or just the other end of the Dreamstar Powerline adapter?

Is it possible that your neighborhood has several wifi systems and thus may experience interference?
Network Stumber will help discover all signals in the area and note the chanels being used -- pick the least used or one w/o any usage.

Of course you've already updated the router firmware and the wifi drivers

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wacky-wireless-and-hard-wired-intermittent-network-issue.138622/