Windows Support Forum

I/O device error with external hard drive

Q: I/O device error with external hard drive

Hello so this is the issue I have win vista x sp Toshiba satellite and a Seagate freeagent goflex tb external HD I had been using the external drive I/O hard external with error device for a while noticed some information wasnt really working properly I thought I would do a chkdsk However I used Tuneup utilities to perform the thorough chkdsk of my external HD i figured it would find and fix any bad clusters WRONG after hrs of waiting I restarted the PC I/O device error with external hard drive and now i cant access any information The external shows up in quot computer quot I can open certain folders but after a few mins I cant access anything and i get the I O device error ive tried running chkdsk r just from the PC in a CMD window It shows a list of - files I/O device error with external hard drive that are quot unreadable quot and sticks on a certain file at around complete every time Ive tried all of seagates suggestions and other then that everyone else just says to run chkdsk on other forums I really do not want to loose this information at all costs any information would be fantastic thanks for your help in advance nbsp

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: I/O device error with external hard drive

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: I/O device error with external hard drive

The Freeagent's power supply has probably failed

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-o-device-error-with-external-hard-drive.171517/
Relevancy 89.01%

can anyone please help me? I divided 1TB WB Element to 4 part but they're not showing up on 'my computer' but i can safely remove the hardware, still the partition doesn't show up as usual just 'eject elements 1042'. can it get repair without losing the files?

please help me. much appreciated

A:i/o device error external hard drive please help me anyone

I dont want to cause panic.. but.. I/o errors are normally always related to knackered hardware.. I.e your hard drive.

theres a few things you can try first.

The standard Microsoft protocol is to first check that windows is fully up to date incase youre missing a key upated system file.
Next you could try uninstalling your usb drivers in device manager and reboot. (youll loose control of any usb device plugged in before the reboot).
It might not seem the most logical thing to try but it was suggested to me once and it did the trick for my issue.

Failing that Microsoft q and a also suggests shrinking the partitions if possible using disc manager.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/318658-i-o-device-error-external-hard-drive-please-help-me-anyone.html
Relevancy 89.01%

I have an external Western Digital 250G HD. It ran fine for a about 10 minutes, then I started getting an error message when trying to copy files onto the HD:

Cannot copy <filename>: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error

I've set it to be optomized for performance and to enable write caching on the disk.

When I close the message and try to get back into the HD, none of the files that are on there show up.

How can I fix this?!

A:External Hard Drive I/O Device Error

It's a process of eliminating one source at a time.

The following assumes you have experienced no prior problems using your USB ports.

The first thing I would do is remove the drive from the enclosure and connect it directly to a desktop computer where I would run CHKDSK /R. If that is negative, I would download the drive manufacturer's testing utility and check it for fitness. (Some second-rate companies offer no such testing utility.)

If all of that is negative, you have either a bad enclosure or some problem with your USB port.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-i-o-device-error.826398/
Relevancy 87.29%

I purchased a used laptop with xp pro installed. No resource CD's. Wish to make a back up using XP backup wizard and store on my external hard drive. File transfer stopped and i received an error message stating that 4g was max allowed to Fat32. My external hard drive is 40g and approx 3-4 years old.
What are my lowest cost options to create backups?
Can I upload my data from ext hard drive to another pc, convert Fat32 to NTFS using XP Covert utility and xfr data back to ext HD? By doing this, will the XP wizard be successful in making a backup on the converted ext HD?

Relevancy 87.29%

Hello, I believe last week I had the similar problem with my Memory card but I could still gain access and now my External HDD is acting up. I am not sure if I downloaded a file which may have caused a virus and damaged it.

Basically I don't even know if it is possible for me to data recover my files as I tried with 2 different machines and still displaying I/0 device error

I forgot to mention the drive makes a ticking noise

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/401892-external-hard-drive-computer-does-not-recognise-i-0-device-error.html
Relevancy 86.43%

i had an old notebook with an overheating problem that I thought I had fixed so I transferred all my music and picture files to it then the problem recurred and the computer won t reboot So I pulled the hard drive and when external initializing error i/o in hard drive management device disk put it in an enclosure I ve used before and am working i/o device error when initializing external hard drive in disk management through trying to get it recognized by my new notebook as an external hard drive Device Manager recognizes the i/o device error when initializing external hard drive in disk management drive and indicates that it is working properly and it appears in Disk Management as well However in Disk Management it shows as Disk Unknown Not Initialized When I attempt to initialize it I get the error quot The request could not be performed because of an I O device error quot I ve tried to initialize it as MBR and GPT with no luck and I ve checked the device drivers to make sure they re up to date they are What else can I try I will try anything but if it s hopeless I need to know that too I just don t want to give up if there s a chance Thanks nbsp

A:i/o device error when initializing external hard drive in disk management

How is it powered? It is possible that the enclosure does not supply enough power for that drive. Can you connect it internally?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i-o-device-error-when-initializing-external-hard-drive-in-disk-management.883422/
Relevancy 75.25%

Hi there
I have connected my USB external hard drive to my machine and i get an error message that the device is malfunctioning. I have installed SP2. And run Virus programs but to no avail! The Hard drive does work on other Machines so its deffinately not the hard drive. The External drive has also been set to slave. Please help!

A:USB external hard drive comes up as unknown device

Howdy markhimself.. Try setting the External to master.. When you open your device manager are there any yellow question marks besides the Hard drive?

Also right click ym computer..Click manage..Then disk management..Does the HD show in there/

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/usb-external-hard-drive-comes-up-as-unknown-device-148861.html
Relevancy 75.25%

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me if there is such a device that allows you to connect a laptop hard drive up to a desktop or another laptop to retrieve data? The laptop hard drive in question is partitioned into C: and D: and the client has data on D: drive that he would like to save if possible (laptop won't boot up to recover the data). I have tried reimaging the laptop twice (C: drive only) but it's failed both times. Reimaging is not an option now so I'd like to try and recover the data another way. No matter how many times I tell these people to back up their data to the server, it never seems to sink in...

Hoping someone can help?

Relevancy 75.25%

My WD Elements external hard drive was working great until one day it failed to be recognized in explorer. I've tried it on multiple PC's and it does the exact same thing. It shows up in device manager as properly working and also even shows up in devices and Printers and BIOS and Windows will allow me to eject it. I've tried using Recuva to recover my data but the disk still doesn't show up. I can't use CHKDSK because it doesn't have a drive letter. Is there anything I can do? and more importantly, is there any way I can recover my important data from this drive?

A:External hard drive not recognized on anything other than device mgr

Have you gone into the Disk Management tool to see if simply right clicking on the volume to change drive letter would initialze the drive again? The drive may be being seen as offline in the block on the left side of the item there you right click on to select the online option.

That would be a fast option included in Windows. Recuva wouldn't work without an active volume to begin with. When any Windows option won't work you then need an alternative option for data recovery such as a live Linux distro or other live from disk type. Note the 2009 thread for using a flash drive to make up a live data recovery disk. Using the "Other OS" For a USB Rescue Device?

The first thing however would be trying to see if you can get the drive initialized if it is showing up in the DM there. Often with removable drives and devices like flash drives or memory and memory cards SD cards on cell phones, digital cameras, etc. you need to keep a specific drive letter assigned to the drive or device to be instantly recognised each time you go to replug it in.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/253817-external-hard-drive-not-recognized-anything-other-than-device-mgr.html
Relevancy 75.25%

Hello

Just a quick post about my fix to this issue. After getting my PC rebuilt by a colleague I got this issue. I noticed that he had mapped storage volumes to G & H which are usually used when I plugin USB devices. So my fix was:

1) deactivate these storage volumes
2) shut down (overnight as it happens).

I did also have a quick poke at the hard drives but didn't change the configuration.

I appreciate this error is generic but thought I'd post as it may help someone else with this VAGUE PIE-IN-THE-SKY ERROR MESSAGE.

Am Newbie so please be kind.

A:USB external hard drive comes up as unknown device

I'm not sure what you mean by Deactivate a storage volume?
All you needed to do was go to Start/Run and type diskmgmt.msc and press enter. In the Disk Management window, Right click the drive and choose Change Drive Letter or Paths, choose a different drive letter that is not being usd.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/usb-external-hard-drive-comes-up-as-unknown-device-894962.html
Relevancy 75.25%

Hi, i have an external hard drive and it was running great. I then turned off my computer, took it out the usb so i could move the case. Put it back in the slot. turned on comp and got the following message..

"USB device not recognised.
One of the usb devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and windows does not recognize it."

I'm certain i didnt damage the hard drive and I've tried different usb sockets. all of them in fact. and they work with other things.

I am using windows vista ultimate.

Please help

A:USB device not recognised. External Hard Drive

Bump.... Please help i need those files back

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/usb-device-not-recognised-external-hard-drive.88352/
Relevancy 74.39%

Hi sorry if this has been posted before but I searched so many threads and none of etc) not (my hard com, showing man, anywhere drive man, USB/External disk device them seem to apply to my exact situation they all have the usb showing somewhere My usb external hard drive isn t showing up anywhere Not in my computer disk management device manager or by doing cmb gt DISKPART gt LIST DISK The USB/External hard drive not showing anywhere (my com, device man, disk man, etc) laptop does make a sound when i plug in the drive however but the autoplay doesnt come up nor can I find it anywhere I ve also tried switching everything off tried different ports checked youtube videos followed lots of different instructions from so many threads but nothing is seeming to work The problem began when I ran a system restore this morning I then noticed the usb problem and cancelled the restore to set it back to before the restore was done but this didn t work The problem is also the same with the dvd drive On device manager both the dvd drive link and a usb link both have yellow exclamation marks next to them Please can someone help me I would be so unbelievably appreciative and grateful I have been searching for hours trying loads of different things but I just can t figure this out Thanks so much nbsp

A:USB/External hard drive not showing anywhere (my com, device man, disk man, etc)

Please do not start more than one thread for the same issue.

Closing duplicate.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/usb-external-hard-drive-not-showing-anywhere-my-com-device-man-disk-man-etc.1149955/
Relevancy 74.39%

I have a LaCie external hard drive which works fine on other pc's running Windows found hard as unknown drive device External Ultimate but on this one it is an quot unknown device quot I have tried it in different ports but with the same result I've checked with Windows Compatability and the exact model is listed there as being compatible I've been to the manufacturer's website but there are no drivers available I have the same problem with any USB device I plug into any port I have tried a complete Windows re-install from a different CD but it made no difference The only USB devices that work are the keyboard and mouse I have given the LaCie HD as an example because External hard drive found as unknown device I am hoping that if I can get a specific External hard drive found as unknown device device to work I may be able to solve the problem with others I've done the upper and lower filter removal thing in Regedit and have uninstalled and reinstalled the USB drivers numerous times but nothing works I've also updated the BIOS Any ideas please

A:External hard drive found as unknown device

NOT a pro ! but i think after what u have done the only thing faulty would be your ports <<<<

I had the same problem with my pc and after a hell lot of time waste i came to know that my ports are out ......

Am not sure whats the case with yours ........

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/251705-external-hard-drive-found-unknown-device.html
Relevancy 74.39%

I have a Hitachi external usb Hard drive model H2160U This drive will recognize on xp. I have used it once on a vista machine and have files on the drive from said vista machine. However, now when i plug it in to either a vista machine or windows 7 machine it comes up as unknow device and not supported drivers. I dont have the drivers for the HDD any more. I have tried to find them online but can not. Is there anything that I can do to make this drive work?? I have tried to delete the USB unknown device in device manager and reconnect but still get the same error. Any tips would be helpful. Thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hitachi-external-hard-drive-unknown-device.976072/
Relevancy 74.39%

hi my friend asked me to have a look at a there external hard drive after she split coke on it, and it stop working, the power is still getting to it the hard drive is still spining but the driver appears to be missing.

there is no vissable water marks (no sign of damage within the casing) (also there is no arking, burn marks)

there is power to the board and driver (light on the front and the driver spinning)

mine and there laptop both recognise that there is something there (as a 'unknown device') but it doesn't recognise it as a storage device.

when it did work it installed drivers from the windows drivers. i manually tryed choosing these drivers without success. it came back error code 10.

so i am unsure what the problem to be except the driver is missing,

much abilaged if anyone can help

just to in form i am running on vista

A:Toshiba external hard drive unknown device

I think it likely that the usb interface in your external enclosure may be damaged.
The drive may still be undamaged, and transferring it to a new enclosure may be your best best.
Such enclosures are relatively cheap and easily available.
I would not suggest continuing to use the existing enclosure.
Depending on the damage done to the usb interface, that damaged device could cause damage to the usb port of your computer.
Hope this helps.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/toshiba-external-hard-drive-unknown-device.163946/
Relevancy 73.96%

Terrified of losing edited videos! I have a problem accessing my external hard drive "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error." This means I cannot copy files or anything. I experience it with both of my computers (iMac24/Windows XP and lenovo S10). Any suggestions? Thanks.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i-o-device-error-external-hard-disk.775471/
Relevancy 73.96%

A few weeks ago I had to redo my entire laptop When 10). Drive: The Start External Hard (Code Solved: Device HELP!! Cannot everything was finished I plugged in my external hard drive Maxtor and it worked perfectly fine A couple of days ago Solved: External Hard Drive: The Device Cannot Start (Code 10). HELP!! I went to play some music which is all on my external hard drive along with some pictures and the drive wasn t showing on My Computer Ive searched everywhere for suggestions and have done them all let it sit unplugged overnight uninstalled all the USB ports and installed them again searched for the most recent driver for that piece of hardware When I plug it in it makes the sound that Windows recognizes that the device has been plugged in And same when I unplug it But I always get the yellow exclaimation point with quot The Device Cannot Start Code quot message Now I ve run out of options I updated Windows XP I m using a USB port and cord The thing I dont get is how it worked a few days ago then just decided to crap out ANY suggestions would be SOOOOO helpful Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Solved: External Hard Drive: The Device Cannot Start (Code 10). HELP!!

Sounds like it's gone. Now you need to determine if it is the drive or the enclosure. You may be able to salvage the data by connecting it internally, but if it is the drive itself, you better just use your backups. Externals fail pretty often. Because they are external, they get knocked easily. And even a gentle blow can destroy the hard drive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-external-hard-drive-the-device-cannot-start-code-10-help.896947/
Relevancy 73.1%

I have a Western Digital 250 GB external HD that had been working perfectly until yesterday afternoon. It has been making this repetitive whirring noise *not the clicking noise of death* and it died before I had a chance to copy the data onto another external. When I plug in the USB it makes the connection noise, but autoplay does not come up and it does not show up in my computer anymore. I did look in device manager and disk management and it does show up but it had no drive letter and it says unreadable. (I've attached a screenshot of this)

i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i359/aadickinson88/ss2.jpg
i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i359/aadickinson88/ss1.jpg

Is there any way I can recover the data off of it? Should I just take it out of the enclosure and hook it up to a desktop pc?

A:External hard drive broken shows up in device manager but not My Computer

It sounds like the drive itself is dead rather than the enclosure. The repetitive 'whirring' noise likely is immediately following the click of death, just the click is pretty quiet on a lot of notebook drives. If yours is a full size (3.5") drive in that enclosure, then perhaps you are right and the click of death isn't occurring.

In either case, its not going to hurt to hook it up internally, because even if it doesn't work you aren't any worse off than you are now.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-broken-shows-up-in-device-manager-but-not-my-computer.163770/
Relevancy 72.24%

Had this Western Digital external TB drive for about a year and one day last week it stopped showing up in Drive Device Error 1TB WD EXternal - Help!! I/O My Computer After a bit of mucking about with it I read online that if all else fails I should remove the drive from the casing and connect it directly to my PC using an additional SATA connection of spare on the MOBO Fair enough went and bought a new SATA WD EXternal 1TB Drive I/O Device Error - Help!! cable and attached it using the additional power connection on main disk drive so both are connected to the main power on the same cabling Went in to the Snap-In Tool in Manage in My Computer and checked the storage The disk drive is showing as Not Initialised and gives me the option to Initialise When I try and initialise it gives me the I O Device Error message Now I m lost and have no idea what to do next For your info - I have tried replacing the drive back in it s casing and get a different message suggesting the drive cannot locate the sector So I have put it back in the PC at present via the SATA cabling and still have this I O device error regardless which od the two spare slots in the MOBO I use to connect I am using Vista GB RAM in Dual GB slots Packard Bell and x processors I am not too bothered where the drive ends up but I would just like to get it working again to retrieve the data Additionally the external drive in question shows activity on start up it spins for about five seconds but then stops until the next reboot Any clues I have been told it may be the SATA cabling on the MOBO needing to be next to the main disk drive but don t see the sense in that if I m honest Also I am having difficulty locating any of the drives in the Advanced BIOS settings so if You want me to check can you tell me where I am likely to find the info you want Finally one more thing has changed since the addition of the drive directly into the PC and that is the appearance of a Port Screen prior to start up during a reboot It shows Port - Serial Number for Main Disk Drive Port - DVD CD Drive and Port Blank with a flashing cursor for a couple of seconds this is where my external drive is located I assume This never appeared before when booting up and has only appeared since the addition of the drive in question Already tried Swapping the SATA ports that I use for the cabling Returning the external drive to the housing please see above Initializing the drive in Snap In Management Storage please see above Uninstalled and reinstalled latest relevant drivers Let me know if there s any other info that you need Thanks in advance Hope someone can help I really dont want to lose all of the data nbsp

A:WD EXternal 1TB Drive I/O Device Error - Help!!

*bump*

Any clues folks?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wd-external-1tb-drive-i-o-device-error-help.930417/
Relevancy 71.81%

I Installed a Dynex USB external floppy drive. When I try to open a floppy, I get this error message - "A:\ is not accessible. The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error."
I ran chkdsk from cmd prompt and got this message: "Cannot open volume for direct access."
I've checked through the forums and not found this particular problem. My system info is below.
Thanks

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz, x64 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 3
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 2038 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS, 256 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 476837 MB, Free - 400040 MB;
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0JC474
Antivirus: Avira Desktop, Updated and Enabled

Relevancy 70.95%

-when i try to connect the external tb western digital harddisk it simply doesnot display any thing and when i go to disk managment it shows quot not initilized quot i tried to initilize it but i got this error hard disk not initilizing i o device error quot it doesnot shows any property or size of hard disk i also tryied to repair it with comand quot chkdsk r quot but there it said quot quot cannot open volume for direct access quot quot and also my harddisk is encrypted and this error occured when i was downloading torrent directly into external hardisk my and encrepted disk device not error showing harddisk hard external i/o initilizing pc also go frce shutdown due to absence of electriccity over all i cannot see hard disk on my computer and cannot open it tried it on other computers also THIS IS THE EVENT external encrepted harddisk hard disk not initilizing and showing i/o device error ERROR THAT ITS SHOWING quot I TRIED EVERY THING even quot quot CHANGED THE CABLE quot lt Event xmlns quot http schemas microsoft com win events event quot external encrepted harddisk hard disk not initilizing and showing i/o device error gt - lt System gt lt Provider external encrepted harddisk hard disk not initilizing and showing i/o device error Name quot Disk quot gt lt EventID Qualifiers quot quot gt lt EventID gt lt Level gt lt Level gt lt Task gt lt Task gt lt Keywords gt x lt Keywords gt lt TimeCreated SystemTime quot - - T Z quot gt lt EventRecordID gt lt EventRecordID gt lt Channel gt System lt Channel gt lt Computer gt NAVEED-PC lt Computer gt lt Security gt lt System gt - lt EventData gt lt Data gt Device Harddisk DR lt Data gt lt Binary gt F B C FFFFFFFF FF A C C CEA A D E A D A lt Binary gt lt EventData gt lt Event gt nbsp

A:external encrepted harddisk hard disk not initilizing and showing i/o device error

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-encrepted-harddisk-hard-disk-not-initilizing-and-showing-i-o-device-error.1111949/
Relevancy 70.95%

Hi All I have an external USB floppy drive that I bought from Amazon I am not sure what make it is but appears as a Sony external drive in Device Manager I have a Macbook Pro running Windows Ultimate in bootcamp native I have no warning icons next to the device in Device Manager and it appears in My Computer as drive A When I go to open up a floppy disk I get the message The request could not be completed because of an I O device error After some research I noticed people saying it was either the floppy drive cable or the drive itself that could be faulty However using the device and the same floppy disk on my home built PC running Windows Server SP it works flawlessly Does anyone have any other suggestions I was hoping to use this device to create start up disks for old PC s that I rebuild Using on my home built PC isn t really a viable option as sometimes I need to take the drive with me Many thanks - Windows External USB Error Device Drive, 7 Floppy in advance for any help you can give me and if you need any further information I will do my best to supply it nbsp

A:Device Error - USB External Floppy Drive, Windows 7

In addition, I have also read that AVG could be the cause, however since removing AVG and restarting I am still getting the same issue.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/device-error-usb-external-floppy-drive-windows-7.1056278/
Relevancy 68.37%

I keep getting " I/O Device Error" I have just built a new gaming set up. Everything works fine other than the slave drive. I have an SSD as the master to boot off of and a 2tb hdd. It detects the HDD in bios but not once I boot windows 7. It says it's offline and not initialized but when I try to intialize it I get the error.

A:I/O Device Error on new WD 2TB Hard Drive

I would boot from a diag CD like Seatools or ubcd and run a diag on the drive

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i-o-device-error-on-new-wd-2tb-hard-drive.1163044/
Relevancy 68.37%

Hey I have a GB hard drive as a second hard drive that i use for important pictures Sadly i haven t backup any of these pictures It is only full and after I pasted about pictures in a folder I couldn error I/O device Hard drive t go back to the hard drive it gave me all these I O device error pop I/O device error Hard drive up sign I is not accessible The request could not be performed because of an I O device error It was going really slow It even got to the point were sometimes my computer couldn t recognize my hard drive it was quot gone quot until i restarted my computer I haven t done anything to the drive since I can t even right click on the hard drive icon on My Computer I/O device error Hard drive So i cannot go in to the hard drive the folder or copy and paste any of the pictures inside the hard drive My computer s software is Windows Vista so i do not know if it has anything to do with that What solutions are there to fix this troublesome I O Device Error Any help would be very much appreciated I really need to retrieve pictures this hard drive contains nbsp

Relevancy 68.37%

I transferred a I/O Hard Device Drive Error few thousand pictures from a laptop to an external hard drive then to my desktop PC The files were stored in one folder probably not a great idea When I opened the folder on my Hard Drive I/O Device Error PC which contained all the photos I noticed many of the files I transferred seemed to be missing There were only showing up I created some new folders to reorganize the photos and started to move photos out of the original folder and into the new folders I noticed when I moved files out of the original folder the total number of files in the original folder would not change For instance files in original folder move files to one of the new folders the original folder would still show files I was moving the files not copying them I checked the original folder and the files were no longer there I checked the new folder and the files were there Then I noticed that there were new files in the original folder of the photos I thought I lost As I continued to move files from the original folder into the new folders I noticed the number of files located in original folder remained the same and some of the missing files were somehow appearing in the original folder I continued to relocate the files until there were about remaining in the original folder I moved of them When the folder refreshed it said there were files left in the original folder Now I cannot even open the original folder back up I receive an error message that reads quot C Users John JDH Pictures is not accessible The request could not be performed because of an I O error quot When I right click on the JDH Pictures folder and click properties it says there is GB of data and files - but I can no longer open the folder to view or copy them They are all family photos of our new born and her big sister I d hate to lose them Is my hard drive crashing Is there anyway to recover them nbsp

A:Hard Drive I/O Device Error

Sorry if the original post is confusing. I've never seen anything like this happen.

Bottom line is, my computer remains fully functional but I am unable to access that one folder to retrieve the 420 files. All other folders seem accessible.

Is there a danger to me running chkdsk /r?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-i-o-device-error.967018/
Relevancy 68.37%

I have or had a LaCie GB usb external hard drive with an off on button formated for NTSF The other day I turned on the hard drive to do some back ups The computer would not recognize the drive and the indicator light flashes from green to amber very rapidly Swapped several usb cords and usb ports no help So I took the hard drive enclosure apart error drive hard External The hard drive LaCie used is a Seagate Barracuda External hard drive error GB IDE p BJ - Firmware AAC Date code Removed hard drive from enclosure and hooked it up to a ide sata to usb connector Now i can hear the hard drive spin up and the computer recognizes the drive The auto play window come up scan for about a minute the goes away My antivirus also ask me to scan for virus objects scanned XP administrative tools computer management see the drive MB Unallocated GB Healthy but my file sys is blank And when i click on the drive in windows explorer it says the disk in drive i is not formatted Now the all important question did i lose every thing on my hard drive Or are there recovery program s I can use to recover my data Or is there a format I can do that will allow me to recover my data Run Windows XP Pro SP with all updates Not a happy camper right now An early Thanks to all you techie out there in helping me in solving this problem nbsp

A:External hard drive error

No formatting! If you can, try it in another computer with a different OS, I've had that work before. Otherwise there is TestDisk, which might get back the partition and subsequently the data. Then there's Recuva, which is free and just for trying to recover the data.
If those two don't work, two more robust recovery programs; EaseUS data recovery wizard and GetDataBack. EaseUS has a free version but it will only recover a limited amount so its more just to let you know that the paid version will work.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-error.1011993/
Relevancy 68.37%

I have a Buffalo HD-CE1.0TU2-AP external hard drive and it's having problems. When I try to open a folder, it tells me to format the hard drive. If I try to copy the folder to somewhere else, it gives me a Data error: Cyclic Redundancy Check.When I try to defrag it, it tells me random folders are corrupted. Is there any way to fix this problem without me losing my data? Thanks in advance.

Relevancy 68.37%

I have an external hard drive which when I plug it in slows the whole computer down, and when I finnally manage to get onto the My Computer page and double click on my external hard drive it comes up with a I/O error. I thought it might have been because I changed from windows xp to vista but when I tried it on an xp computer it was the same.

Relevancy 68.37%

I have a Passport Elite, I can not format it when I do I get an I/O Error is there a way to take care of this so I can use the hard drive once again?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-i-o-error.973560/
Relevancy 68.37%

Dell Dimension 4550
Pentium 4 CPU
Windows XP Home Edition 2002, Service Pack 2

I am unable to back-up to or access files in my Seagate external hard drive. An I/O device error pops up. I have uninstalled / reinstalled the driver, restarted my computer, unplugged / reconnected the drive - all to no avail. The light is on, and it makes noise as if there is activity but I can do nothing with it.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Relevancy 68.37%

my external hard drive is not responding on my laptop. i got as far as base system device not found.

A:external hard drive error

Hi,

You could try this:
Right click on My Computer
Choose Manage and find Disk Management
You should see your external hard drive under list
Right click on it and choose CHANGE DRIVER LETTER
Choose anything , but choose something higher than M

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-error.1142511/
Relevancy 68.37%

all of a sudden my maxtor external 5000 is giving me an i/o error. It is full of things i need to recover. My desktop does recognise it as being there but i cannot get into anything. I tried a program called frw_n1 which i saw on an old thread. It was a trial but it did find most of the folders and files that are on it - I dont know what to do from the there. I am so upset about this. I need to recover what is on that drive. I am currently trying pc inspector. Please help. I will purchase another external but somehow i need to transfer those files I have expensive programs on there!

Relevancy 68.37%

My external hard drive is showing an error.

G:\ is not accessible.

The disk structure is corrupted and unreadable.

Does anyone know how to fix it without formatting it? Have a lot of file on there that I'd like to recover if possible.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

A:External Hard Drive Error

When that happened to me last year, I downloaded Linux Mint installed it to a USB stick, booted to it, and it could read my external hard drive, and I moved the files to another drive, THEN had to reformat the drive.

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/42397-external-hard-drive-error.html
Relevancy 68.37%

Hi there,

Purchased an external hard drive 1Tb from encomtech (model here: http://lifenow.net/images/BAY/NoontecMP342/MP3415DWO.jpg)

I was putting some data on my external when all of a sudden i couldnt access it, the computer just struggled. So i turned off the external then turned it back on and now im getting an 'I/o error' and i cant access my information

I have to admit, i couldnt find my USB transfer cable so i used one from the back of my printer, could that have caused this error? or is there another explanation. I am scared because i have 825Gb of my life on this external including i.e. photos and family videos

Any help would be amazing!!!

Regards
Gassyp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-i-o-error.867100/
Relevancy 68.37%

I'm using Windows XP, and have a Western Digital Elements external hard drive with 500 gb.

When I plug it into the laptop, it finds it ok. But usually some sort of autosearch pops up, going through all the files, and then I get to choose what I want to do. The autosearch still comes up, but it doesn't go through any files, and eventually gives up.

When I go into My Computer and try to access the hard drive, I get the error message "F:\ is not accessible. The request was not completed because of an I/O-error." (or something along those lines, I had to translate it from Norwegian).

What do I do now? I don't really have much of a clue, so the simpler solution the better. Is there any chance of saving the data on the drive?

Relevancy 68.37%

I bought a Fantom Drives 500 gb eSATA external harddrive a few months ago and have had no problems with it until tonight when i came home, i tripped over the cord and the whole thing fell to the ground. It did not fall hard enough that their should be any damage but the wire came unplugged. I plugged it back in and it didnt work, it just made loud noises. My entire music collection of a few years of work is on this, if any one can help I'd appreciate it.

A:External hard drive error

Hard drives are very sensitive. It may be a goner.

What happens when you try it? Does it appear in Device Manager?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-error.701838/
Relevancy 68.37%

I have an external hard drive usb, and this morning when i went to click on it for files, it says "it needs to be formatted to use"
I had the hd named, but now it says nothing. Is everything gone, or can i recover what is lost? It's a 500gb hd and it is full of my business files. Is there a way to access my files or recover them? If i format the hd like it says, will i lose all my files?

please help

thanks

A:External Hard Drive ERROR...HELP

Do not format, it will make it that much more difficult to possibly retrieve files. Also do not let it run a scheduled check disk when in that state.
First thing to try is a different computer, different OS if possible, different USB port, power cycle everything, leave the drive off for a few hours and power it up last and connect and see if you can get proper access right away.
If you still get nothing then try looking at it with a LINUX distro (Puppy linux or my favorite utility disc Parted Magic).
All of these things would have a better chance of success if the drive was taken out of the enclosure and hooked directly to the data type it is (IDE or SATA probably) but sometimes that involves actually breaking the enclosure to get it out.

If its all goose eggs then you need to get recovery software and try that, see if it looks like it will be able to recover the files for you. Recuva is free, GetDataBack give you a free preview to let you know if it probably will recover or not. Also EaseUS Recovery Wizard is similar, use the free edition if you only need a limited amount of data and to see if the paid for version is going to work.

If those don't work might not be anything that will and if you aren't going to send it in for professional data recovery, then you can try a check disk, try SpinRite, try freezing it...more the one shot for all the glory, win or destroy the data method of file recover.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-error-help.991738/
Relevancy 68.37%

while my hard drive was connected, i tried to start up a program and it was giving me back start up errors. seemed strange. so i did what anyone else would do. just restart the hard drive. go to turn it off and back on(let disks slow down till stop, then powered back up) and when i when to My Computer to open the drive folder, the drive is listed but not recognized. i named my drive "Trinity(Y:)" and now it shows up "local Drive(Y:)" and i cant access my files.
Hitachi 1TB
Windows XP
windows 7

A:external hard drive error

Turning a drive off while it's in the midst of an operation...is likely to result in some damaged files, IMO.

Generally, I find it good practice to run the chkdsk /r command any time that a hard shutdown has taken place, regardless of specific cause of the shutdown.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/432649/external-hard-drive-error/
Relevancy 67.51%

Hey all i screwed up big I have a GB Maxtor Drive Y P as a second drive used just for storage I let it get too full I think it got to full A big No No i know I deleted as much as i could that I/O giving Drive Error Hard me Device it would let me It was giving me all sorts of I O Device Errors and was running real slow I scanned the drive and defragmented it i bought an External Drive to copy everything over but with a lot of files including my entire family picture album of my twins it gives me the following error when i try to copy or access a file F name of directory is not accessible The request could not be performed because of an I O device error Is there any software i can run to fix this Any help would be very much appreciated I have a lot of things backed up on DVDs but not all of it Ted nbsp

Relevancy 67.51%

Hello,

I am trying to wipe my current XP installation clean and move on to Windows 7.

I first tried to install the setup.exe (Custom install option of course) from within the XP OS, but soon discovered you cannot do that and wipe out my only partition on C: at the same time.

I don't have a DVD-RW drive to write a boot disk, so instead I am trying to install through my external hard drive. I meticulously followed this tutorial from PC World yet when I instruct the PC in BIOS to boot from the external hard drive, I keep getting an "invalid system disk, press any key" error when the computer boots and looks for the setup files. This is despite the fact that setup seems to work perfectly from within the XP OS.

PC World tutorial:
Install Windows 7 From an External Hard Drive - PC World

A:Error booting from external hard drive

For any others who may be experiencing similar difficulty, the solution for me was simple.

With the external hard drive connected, I found that if I started the setup by double-clicking the exe in the external hard drive, then 7 setup recognized the external hard drive as its own partition and from there I was able to install 7 on the C partition.

7 then created a Windows.old folder I had to delete afterwards.

Now everything works great!

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/52763-error-booting-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 67.51%

Hi,

I'm having troubles on opening my hard drive. 1st, there was this Shortcut virus that affected my external, i thought it was just a simple virus cause it just creates shortcuts of your files instead of getting to it directly. So after a day, i decided to fix it my self. But as always without asking, my Norton anti virus deleted the infected files right away when i plugged in the drive.

Now I can't open my Hard Drive, it states that "There was a problem starting ~$WV.FAT32, The specified module could not be found."

I've tried chkdsk/r x: but it always hangs or stops at 21 percent stage 4 of 5.
If possible, i really need to fix my external without losing the files. PLEASE help.

A:External Hard Drive error ~$WV.FAT32

Hello Flippy lumpy I found this - have you run any malware scans at all?

&#34;My removable device&#34; shortcut virus.. - Microsoft Community

if not try Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyaware and ADWCleaner

http://www.superantispyware.com/

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/281289-external-hard-drive-error-wv-fat32.html
Relevancy 67.51%

I have an external hard drive 120G where I put most of my files, graphics, pictures and documents. I just discovered that it refused to open and the documents are inaccessible this drive contained a lot of my saved works especially pictures as I am into photography and I can not afford to these valuable files.Kindly assist.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-external-hard-drive-is-giving-i-o-error.987525/
Relevancy 67.51%

Hi,
First of all, I am new to this forum, soo...Hi
I have a problem with rundll on my toshiba 750GB External hard drive.
When I try to open my hard drive it says- RunDLL "There was a problem starting ~$WU.USBDrv, Module Could Not Be Found"
After that I can only confirm it, and It closes. My hard drive usually opens as shortcut, I can't find solution to fix that.
If someone is willing to help me, please.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/rundll-error-on-external-hard-drive.1089665/
Relevancy 67.51%

Hello,
I purchased an external hard drive to back up my files. However, I keep getting an error msg about the files being too large. I think this has to do with the format of the hard drive.
Instead of going through a backup program, can't I just do a copy/paste on the files I want to back up? That is how I would do it when I put files on CD, so won't this work on an external hard drive?
Thank you! Maggie

A:Trying to back up to external hard drive - error msg

Hello

What operating system are you using? Have you formatted and partitioned your hard drive?

If you right click on my computer and select manage, then disk management, then pick your external drive, right click for format and partition options. Please note.. this will delete all existing data on your external.

This alll presumes you are running windows

Hope this helps.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/trying-to-back-up-to-external-hard-drive-error-msg.129392/
Relevancy 67.51%

Hey all, im new to this site as so pointers to make my posts better would be great.

However ive got a problem that i cant find an answer to on the internet.
I got given an Asus X555L laptop running windows 8.1 for christmas and i wanted to transfer my files over to it. so i moved all my music documents and films from my old laptop to a seagate 500gb hard drive. Now ive plugged it in my new laptop (the Asus) and i get an area message pop up "USB device not recognised" i dived a little deeper and found the error , code 43 Device Descriptor Request Failed. does anybody know a quick fix so i can access my files on the hard drive?
Many Thanks
Joe Smith

A:External hard drive error (code 43)

There is a very, very long thread on MS forums about this problem and, essentially, the person solved it initially by rebooting into Safe mode (disabling all the startup apps and drivers), and the drive then worked OK.

They then went through the painstaking and tedious process of re-enabling startup things, one at a time, and through it all, the drive kept working. When done, they had everything running, and the drive was still working.

So, you should try booting in Safe mode, with all the startup items disabled, to see if that works.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/60092-external-hard-drive-error-code-43-a.html
Relevancy 67.51%

Hi, I am running Windows Vista, I have a 1.5 Terabite WD Elements External Hard Drive. It has all my files on it. I was browsing through it when it suddenly froze and said that I needed to format the disk before I could use it. I haven't been able to get it to work since. I found some people with similar problems but I didn't want to try any of the solutions particular to them incase it caused another problem (as one of the reccomendations - run chkdsk on it - said that it could cause data loss).

What should I do?

Thanks.

A:External Hard Drive Error - Need to Format

Is this some kind of recognition problem of the hard drive or do I need to run some kind of data recovery software? Thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-error-need-to-format.994936/
Relevancy 67.51%

I recently got a seagate ata notebook hard drive and am using it in a usb hard drive enclosure with my laptop vista basic USB Error Hard Drive Reading External bit Whenever I plug it into the computer I can see the 'safely remove hardware' icon on the taskbar and i can view its hardware properties in the safely remove hardware window but otherwise my computer does not read the hard drive For instance if I have it plugged in and I open 'my computer' the window freezes and I do not see the hard drive If I were to unplug the hard drive while still in the same window the window would unfreeze and I would see the hard drive for a second then it would USB External Hard Drive Reading Error disappear Also -The hard drive works fine on my computer that runs in windows XP -I have tried other solutions where I delete DRVINDEX DAT INFPUB DAT INFSTOR DAT INFSTRNG DAT INFCACHE SETUPAPI -I have also tried restarting the computer with it plugged in USB External Hard Drive Reading Error the computer stays on the loading screen before the password login for about minutes then may turn on but I will be able to use the hard drive -I have tried using each USB port -Once in a blue moon when I plug it in I will see an icon in the taskbar that says 'your USB device can run faster' and tells me to plug it into a high speed port highlighted in bold each being empty i think they're all high speed ports Upon which I can use USB External Hard Drive Reading Error the hard drive and it takes a minute to load -I can't see the hard drive in administrative properties memory management -All of my drivers are up to date -I can also use the hard drive after running chkdsk f although it takes about minutes as well Thanks any help is appreciated

A:USB External Hard Drive Reading Error

I am just unable to figure out the problem as far as i know Vista has the feature of plug and play USB port but cant get ehy it is not working for you. Do you try google for the solution.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/114335-usb-external-hard-drive-reading-error.html
Relevancy 67.51%

My pc will not boot while the external hard drive(ehd) is on, therefor I turn on the PC then the hard drive. Once the pc has booted completly I turn on the ehd only to see that my pc freezes up and I get this error message. " The specified I/O operation on\Device\Harddisk2\DR6 was not completed before the time-out period expired." I am sometimes able to access the files on the ehd and it is clear that the drivers are installed, so I am dumbfounded. I am using XP professional. What the $#@% is the problem?
Please help !!!

Teresa
[email protected]

A:External Hard drive error message. Help!!

First step, Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore. Create a restore point and name it something like "Before USB Fix". This is to bail you out if something goes wrong during the following process and makes things worse.

Create a file with NOTEPAD containing the following lines and save it as FIX.REG

-------------------------- Use text after this line --------------------------------
REGEDIT4
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment]"DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES"="1"

-------------------------- Use text before this line --------------------------------

Double click on FIX.REG and say yes to the Merge Into Registry question.

Unplug ALL USB devices.
Open Device Manager.
View, Show Hidden Devices.
Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
Uninstall all devices under Disk Drives that you know are not present.
Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

NOTE: If you have a USB keyboard and/or mouse, you'll have to modify the instructions and leave enough parts for those to function. I don't have one yet, so I haven't had time to modify the instructions.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-error-message-help.587926/
Relevancy 67.51%

Hi, I had a .avi file on my external hard drive that I was trying to play on my LG TV. My Tv (LG) recognised my photos and music via the usb but not the short clip. I read online that I should maybe try formatting the external hard drive to Exfat rather than ntfs and this is where it all went wrong. I followed the instructions and managed to change the format correctly. After plugging it back into the TV it was no longer recognised at all..ie no photos anything. My laptop now doesnt even recognise the hard drive, no beep when I plug it in or anything! Have I completely broken it? As you can no doubt tell, I'm a total noob with this

Relevancy 67.51%

hi need a bit of help asap Earlier on I was backing up files on my pc to an external drive when the pc got a bsod When i rebooted the system the external drive Drive External Hard Error Solved: had become corrupted When i try to open it it says quot is not accessible The file or directory is corrupted or unreadable I tried the drive on my laptop and it wont work here either Ive opened up disk management but it Solved: External Hard Drive Error just detects it as an unformatted drive The drives table seems to have reset In partition magic I am able to see the drive and it detects the space being used as well as the drive name etc It also has a message when i start partition magic which is in the image below Is there anything that can be done to recover the data as i have some files on it that i would not like to loose Thanks for your help nbsp

Relevancy 67.51%

so I just dug up a really old GB external hard drive like USB old from my office to use I plugged it in and it works just fine I transfered some files onto it and shut down my computer for the night turning off the hard drive afterwards The next morning I turned my computer on then my hard drive tried to access it External Drive error Hard connectivity in My Computer and after a long wait an error message pops up saying it was inaccessible due to an I O error I turn off my cpu then the drive wait then turn it on first before my computer and the same thing happens I reboot still no change I then went into safely remove hardware and remove it turn it off and on again and now it doesn t even show up in My Computer when I go to the device manager it tells me that FIN PYVCXMVG E SCSI CdRom Device is disabled code when I click enable it says windows was unable to enable the device Reboot and no change please help those files are very important

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/259806/external-hard-drive-connectivity-error/
Relevancy 67.51%

When I plug my Western Digital Passport External Hard Drive in my computer all of a suddenly stopped working. An error bubble pops up, when i click the error bubble it says "one of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and windows does not recognize it.". Then when i click on the unknown device it sends me to the properties and under device status it says, "no drivers are installed for this device. if you are having problems with this device click trouble shoot to start the trouble shooter."

I've tried to plug it into other computers as well, and the same error occurs, I cannot even view the drive on My computer.

What can i do to make it work or even just retrieve my data

A:Error Message for an external Hard drive

What's the OS?
Does the drive power up and spin properly?
This is from the WD support site:

Problem: During the initial installation of an external hard drive, Windows Vista does not locate or install drivers for the external hard drive. Windows Vista might report that there is &#8220;no driver found for you device&#8221; and/or will not display the pre-installed Vista OEM drivers. Even by manually selecting the driver, you will still get the &#8220;no driver found&#8230;&#8221; error. Cause: This is most likely caused by a corrupted INFCACHE.1 file. This file stores the location of drivers and their INF files. This file is hidden, has restricted access, and can be found in &#8220;c:\windows\inf&#8221;. Resolution:
There are Microsoft HotFixes released for this issue. Please see the links below for more information on this issue:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940199/

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937187
http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/error-message-for-an-external-hard-drive.691775/
Relevancy 67.51%

I Drive 43 Code Error Hard External have a month old External T HDD In starting up my computer today a pop up box opened telling me that I needed to format my HDD I closed the box shut down my computer turned off and unplugged the drive for about minutes rebooted and turned on the drive Windows popped up with a message stating it was unable to find the drive and gave a Code Error The cords are connected correctly and securely to the drive and computer the led light of the drive is green all USB ports on my computer work I have downloaded the Seagate Manager system as specified by the Seagate website but the programme is unable to find the HDD It is showing as not being connected The usual clicking ans whirring of the HDD has gone The External Hard Drive Error Code 43 drive is quiet making the occasional noise to let me know it is turned on Is the HDD fixable or am I looking at buying replacing the unit nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-error-code-43.963373/
Relevancy 67.51%

I dropped my portable hard-drive, I think I've damaged the USB connection. When I plug it into my laptop I can see all the files. The USB indicator light on the portable drive normally flashes when in use but it now only flashes for a short while and then stays on permanently. I was able to move one file on to the desktop when testing to see if I could get the files off the drive. When I tried a second file it got an I/O error message " the task could not be completed due to an I/O error"

It's a WD passport portable 250GB hard drive and it's nearly full - I've no idea how to open it or how to slave the drive (if that's what is required) can anyone help please?

A:I/O error message External Hard Drive

Hey there,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0K4MgukGtDM

Will show you how to open the casing.

It could either be the drive failing...or a problem on the controller inside the casing..

You would, as you suggested get a better idea once you slave the drive

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i-o-error-message-external-hard-drive.934691/
Relevancy 67.08%

I have an older 80 gig WD external hard drive that has worked fine until this morning when I turned on my computer and it wasnt showing up when I looked in my computer. So I went into device manage and it says this "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"

I tried unistalling, and then plugging it back in. I tried looking for updates. Anything I could think of, but still not able to access anything. It has ALL my music on it and I really really want to be able to get to it.

If I cant get it to work is it possible to transfer data from this one to a new one??

Relevancy 67.08%

Hi there,

I won't get too deeply into the harrowing saga of how two external hard drives of mine died within days of each other. Rather, I'll just say that I would like to do a virus scan on several external hard drives (including/especially the one I just got to replace the others). In other words, I want to find out if there was a virus or something in the material that I'm putting on the hard drives that makes them die. Could this be possible? If so, how can I conduct a virus scan specifically on the external drives?

Thanks!
Sonya

A:Scanning an external hard drive for viruses? External Hard drive DRAMA!

In My Computer . . right click the external drive and select Scan with { name of AV }

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/scanning-an-external-hard-drive-for-viruses-external-hard-drive-drama-186769.html
Relevancy 66.65%

Hi i have a 100gig External Hard Drive, and i recently defrag that hard drive... When i turn it on i get a I/O disk error when i try to access the External HD... Can anyone help me? Any way i can recover my hard drive?

A:Need help : i/o disk error after defraging external hard drive

Was it unplugged from the USB port accidentally without closing out the USB connection ? ?
Depending on your OS i would remove it from the enclosure; jumper it to slave and hook it up to IDE1 to try and recover the data.

More info.
patio.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-help-i-o-disk-error-after-defraging-external-hard-drive.27199/
Relevancy 66.65%

Hi I have been having some problems recently with my iomega 250 gb external Hard Drive. I went to download a TV show onto it using uTorrent and left it running over night. When i checked on it, it had downloaded half of it but had stopped and said data error: Data cyclic error. I checked online and think this means there is a problem with Hard Drive. This has now happened with a few different torrents but sometimes they download fine. I tried to run Checkdisk but wasn't totally sure what I was doing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Colm

A:Data Cyclic Error on External Hard Drive

http://www.softwarepatch.com/tips/cyclic-redundancy.html It could mean HD, but also other things.
Are you using a download manager with the site your on? Have you deleted the bad data and tried to download it again?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/data-cyclic-error-on-external-hard-drive.949794/
Relevancy 66.65%

Well (error Can't is access bad) drive table 100, hard external here's what happened I was doing some repartitioning of my internal hard drive using Partitionmagic While I was doing it external hard drive was plugged in When I rebooted my internal hard drive partitions were fine just as I wanted them to be but I got some error messages can't remember exactly which saying some data on external hard drive partitions was lost Now when I open 'My Can't access external hard drive (error 100, table is bad) computer' I can't see any of the partitions of the external hard drive although I can see hard disk itself in Device manager under 'Disk drives' Also if I open Partitionmagic while external disk is plugged in I got this message error init failed partition table is bad and after that Partitionmagic crashes I also tried few data recovery applications like 'PC Inspector' or 'Data Doctor Recovery NTFS' but none of them wasn't able to do anything I might be wrong since I'm not expert for this kind of stuff but it seems data is still on disk but it's not accessible because of the table problem Anyway do you have some advice or can suggest me what to I borrowed the external drive from my friend's father who has some really important stuff on it so I'm dead if it's lost Thank you in advance

A:Can't access external hard drive (error 100, table is bad)

Hi bokiopaki, welcome to TSF..

have you tried running chkdsk on the drive...probably an idea to add /r /f switches.

Are you able to plug the device into another machine to see if the file structure is intact there?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cant-access-external-hard-drive-error-100-table-is-bad-241853.html
Relevancy 66.65%

I wanted to backup the information from my external hard drive on cds and when i tried to copy it it gave me an error that there was no information and that I needed to reformat. Where did my info go and how can I save it without reformatting it and losing all of the info?

A:Error Message to Reformat External Hard Drive

Anyone have any help for me - pretty PLEEZZ with sugar on top!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/error-message-to-reformat-external-hard-drive.597771/
Relevancy 66.65%

I have a Maxtor OneTouch II external hard drive that connets through USB. When I try to access the drive now it says:

K:\ in not accessible.

The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.

I attempted to do chkdsk /f, however the Command Promt window appears for a second then dissapears. Is there anything I can do without having to format it?

A:External Hard Drive corrupted and unreadable error

JobinM
welcome to Techspot

if you have data on it you'll need to get data recovery software
can't make drive active
reformat stop don't write to drive use data recovery to get the data off of drive
getbackdata and file scavenger 2 great apps

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-corrupted-and-unreadable-error.97070/
Relevancy 66.65%

Hi Everyone So here the problem I got a Western Digital My Passport TB External Hard Drive with GB of Important Data Guess what No backup and the Hard Drive is not functioning and I need the Data Back and possibly the drive working too I have tried the drive in several PCs so far Windows XP and Windows the disk is physically working fine no damage absolutely it is spinning lights are on etc but The Drive does not open Properties Menu shows - quot RAW quot and quot O Bytes quot See attached Pic Under System Properties and Device Manager shows its there See Attached Pic and quot The Device is Working Properly quot The Disc Management is most PC's does not show anything In some The Passport Initializing Error Hard External My Drive Disc Management Interface crashes however in One of the Windows PC also the same amp the last one in which the My Passport External Hard Drive Initializing Error drive worked it showed up as quot Not Initialized' and also quot Unallocated quot see attached Pic On right clicking to initialize it a message pops up quot You must initialize the disk before Logical Disk Manager can access it quot However going any further it reads quot The Media is write Protected quot see attached pics I dont know what to do next Will try to open this in linux work Any other solutions

A:My Passport External Hard Drive Initializing Error

Try this:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...cy-backup.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/315121-my-passport-external-hard-drive-initializing-error.html
Relevancy 66.22%

Just bought a 250 GB Seagate External USB Hard Drive.

While Transferring/Copying all the folders and files from my Desktop contents (12 GB) I received the following Windows(Not Seagate's) Error which was "0x80070057"

ALSO:I made sure no file being transferred was IN USE by any process so that's not the issue.

I Googled it and I am still lost as to what it "0x80070057" means OR BETTER how to avoid it?
I've also ran MSFT's various disc scanners/fixers and a few non-MSFT and no error were ever found so I do not see how it's the fault of the new External Drive...

HELP? How to fix/repair or avoid this problem??

thanks

A:Error 0x80070057 moving files to External Hard Drive? Help

Although this answer from Microsoft is about Vista it is applicable to your issue.

Common causes and solutions to Backup, System Restore, and Complete PC Backup problems - The Storage Team at Microsoft - File Cabinet Blog - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/108453-error-0x80070057-moving-files-external-hard-drive-help.html
Relevancy 66.22%

I have external USB hard drive 'Seagate 500 Gb'
When I transfer data (say Video file) from my Laptop to External Hard drive, it starts coping but it stucks and cannot finish coping.

Check out the attachment for the detail of the error while coping.

Thanx.

A:Copying data to External hard drive shows error

Hi and welcome,

The I/O device error implies a problem with the USB device.

Run a chkdsk /R on the USB device, and then also run this program to check the health status of the drive:

CrystalDiskInfo - Software - Crystal Dew World

Regards,
Golden

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/245826-copying-data-external-hard-drive-shows-error.html
Relevancy 66.22%

I have all my music on my external hard drive about 40 gigs when trying to add to Itunes I get this error
[COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Windows[/COLOR][/COLOR] Delayed Write Failed
Windows was unable to save all the data for the file E\$Mft. The
data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer
hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere.
This is only happening on a specific computer (running XP) never had this issue before.

Everything on the drive disappears until a reboot.

Any thoughts?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-mft-error-delayed-write-failed.1078244/
Relevancy 66.22%

I have been using this WD hard drive TB for several months now without problems Western Format Digital Hard please External error, Drive help My main computer crashed with a little help from my fists now I am trying to rebuild an older computer it was partitioned i guess with both Linxus and DOS and the program files and all my original computer back up folders videos and pics are stored on my external harddrive When I plugged it into the DOS computer it does have windows XP but an error messgae popped up stating the e drive needed to be formatted I had never seen this error messgae and did not format the drive but it wouoldn t allow me to access the drive I tried again after re booting the computer and I wasn t sure what the formatting involved so I Western Digital External Hard Drive Format error, please help hit YES a WARNING message popped up telling me all my files would be erased if I formatted and I immediately hit NO and unpllugged my drive Now I can t see any files on the drive although it recognizes it on other computers it will not show the space capicity or free space and it says it in NTFS format Did me plugging this drive into a DOS computer change the settings somehow from FAT to NTFS and if so How do I save my files I did not format it so I don t believe the files have been erased or it should show the free space as TB right PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE I will die if I lost all thiese files nbsp

A:Western Digital External Hard Drive Format error, please help

Hive info on the HDD is protected. Missing drive info? That's why your getting that error message to format it but you don't. What OS did you have prior?

See this link from MS for the fix using chkdsk /p
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/156640

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/western-digital-external-hard-drive-format-error-please-help.145999/
Relevancy 66.22%

I have an external USB hard drive.. I don't have it setup to automatically backup. I just keep it as an extra "drag and drop" drive.

Anyway, I've always been able to use the "Safely Remove Hardware" to disconnect/unmount it.. but now it's not working.

I keep getting this error message:

"Windows can't stop your generic volume device because a program is still using it."

The only thing that has changed on my computer is a Windows Update.

I've tried killing things in Task Manager, disabling the Firewall, Antivirus (AVG) .. running HijackThis.. just in case. And nothing works. I also tried rolling back a restore to the day prior to the update.

Anyone have a workaround to force unmount the drive or some kind of workaround with this error?

Thanks!

Relevancy 66.22%

I use on drive is Access message external denied hard error an external hard drive to transfer files between my laptop and desktop and i ve recently been having some issues I put some files on Access is denied error message on external hard drive the drive from the desktop and tried to open them and it said quot Cannot open file access is denied quot and asked if someone else was using the file or if the drive was write protected Neither is true So I plugged the drive back in to see what the issue was and it was fine I rebooted both PCs and turned the hard drive off and on and all of a sudden I couldn t open the files from the laptop on the desktop and couldn t open some of the desktop files on even the desktop I ve done my research and I think I know the problem When I go to Tools- gt Folder Options- gt View tab I scroll down to where the quot Use simple file sharing Recommended quot check box is missing I m the administrator and only user of the computer so I have no idea why it s there Thanks in advance for any replies nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/access-is-denied-error-message-on-external-hard-drive.620956/
Relevancy 65.36%

System Specs HP Pavilion dv - us Windows Vista Home Premium -bit with Service Pack GHz Intel Centrino - Intel Core Duo Processor T mb RAM GB WD Drive on error Hard Internal device 7 bootable No - Blank Installing Blue SATA rpm A couple months ago my laptop got dropped and stopped working After some inspection I decided that the hard drive died made weird clicking noises however I had a desktop so saw no need to replace it Fast forward to today back in school and need the laptop again Bought a new hard drive Seagate SATA Gb's gb rpm decided to upgrade the system Installing 7 on Blank Internal Hard Drive - No bootable device error to windows since I needed to install anyway My school has a hook-up with Windows operating Installing 7 on Blank Internal Hard Drive - No bootable device error systems are free and can be downloaded through Microsoft dreamspark Downloaded windows as a ISO file Placed onto my external hard drive and tried to install on to the laptop that way Received quot ntldr is missing quot error Tried a couple different things with the external hard drive with no success before I gave up and went to try it with a dvd Unpacked the ISO onto the DVD messed with the BIOS settings so that it would boot from DVD drive first receive back the error quot no bootable device quot I am at the limit of my ability here so I thought I would throw it all to you what am I doing wrong

A:Installing 7 on Blank Internal Hard Drive - No bootable device error

Quote: Originally Posted by Noremacs

System Specs:
HP Pavilion dv7-1170us
Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit with Service Pack 1
2 GHz Intel Centrino - Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T5800
4mb RAM
320 GB WD Blue SATA 3 (5400 rpm)

A couple months ago my laptop got dropped and stopped working. After some inspection I decided that the hard drive died (made weird clicking noises), however, I had a desktop so saw no need to replace it. Fast forward to today, back in school and need the laptop again. Bought a new hard drive (Seagate, SATA 6Gb's, 320gb, 5400rpm), decided to upgrade the system to windows 7, since I needed to install anyway.

My school has a hook-up with Windows, operating systems are free and can be downloaded through Microsoft dreamspark. Downloaded windows 7 as a ISO file. Placed onto my external hard drive and tried to install on to the laptop that way. Received "ntldr is missing" error. Tried a couple different things with the external hard drive (with no success) before I gave up and went to try it with a dvd.

Unpacked the ISO onto the DVD, messed with the BIOS settings so that it would boot from DVD drive first, receive back the error: "no bootable device." I am at the limit of my ability here so I thought I would throw it all to you, what am I doing wrong?

You cant actually just unpack the iso to the dvd.
Follow the instructions here:
Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/257661-installing-7-blank-internal-hard-drive-no-bootable-device-error.html
Relevancy 65.36%

Hi I have been having some issues with an external TB Seagate hard drive of late so I decided to dismount the drive and run check disk within Windows Computer gt Right clicked on F drive gt Properties gt Tools gt Error-checking gt Check now gt Checked 'Automatically fix file system errors' and 'Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors' Check disk has now been taking external Windows checking forever 7 1TB hard drive within Error running for over hours and has been stuck on ' files processed' for at least hours I have a lot of important files on this drive which I can't afford to lose I backed up the drive a few days ago but some of the files failed to backup correctly which is the main reason I decided to check the disk I tried opening an important Photoshop file which is one of the files that failed to backup and received a 'Could not complete your request because Error checking external 1TB hard drive within Windows 7 taking forever of a disk error' error message I really need to restore this file if possible as hundreds of hours of work have gone into it and starting from scratch is something Error checking external 1TB hard drive within Windows 7 taking forever I don't even want to think about Should I wait it out even longer in the hope that check disk completes or should I click 'Cancel' and try again If I cancel will it have to start from scratch if I decide to check the disk again or Error checking external 1TB hard drive within Windows 7 taking forever will it continue from where it left off I welcome any other suggestions Thanks in advance

A:Error checking external 1TB hard drive within Windows 7 taking forever

I don't think anyone can give you a blanket assurance. Just doing the 'Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors' could affect your data, or that one file, if it's contents reside in any bad sectors.

Fixing bad sectors on a drive that has bad sectors can take some time. But 4 hours is probably a bit much. It could be frozen.
You could let it run longer - go do a few chores - and if it hasn't changed then you will have no choice but to cancel out and see what has happened.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/367470-error-checking-external-1tb-hard-drive-within-windows-7-taking-forever.html
Relevancy 65.36%

My OS Windows -bit SP External Hard Drive LaCie Hard Disk Quadra TB Can't Intialized 'Incorrect Hard Initialize External - Not Error - Drive - Function' http www External Hard Drive - Not Intialized - Can't Initialize - 'Incorrect Function' Error lacie com au support support manifest htm id Problem I have TB HDD Both LaCie Different Models I share a USB cable between them when I need External Hard Drive - Not Intialized - Can't Initialize - 'Incorrect Function' Error to use one I unplug the cable and plug it into the other HDD I went on holiday my computer was off for weeks Came back and now one of my HDD is not working Model listed above I went to computer management and checked device manager - Disk Drives LaCie Hard Drive USB Device - Universal Serial Bus controllers USB Mass Storage Device is plugged in Storage Disk Management Disk - Unknown - Not Initialized when I try to initialize it Incorrect Function error appears This isn t a new HDD I ve used it for roughly years it serves as a Backup Device It is very worrying that my backup device would crash or fail or whatever the problem is I have looked at other threads on the forum with similar problems http social technet microsoft com Forums en-US winservermanager thread bd -c e - -a f-c f cd e b http social technet microsoft com Forums en itprovistahardware thread c ea - f - d - - b cb ac http social technet microsoft com Forums en w itprovirt thread bf a c- f - eb -b bb- a bb ddd http social technet microsoft com Forums en-US w itprohardware thread ba - fb - -b a - fef dda ffb Following the troubleshooting of this thread http social technet microsoft com Forums en-US w itprohardware thread ba - fb - -b a - fef dda ffb My results Also I ve tried plugging it into my laptop doesn t work on there either So the problem is definitely with the HDD Question Does anyone know how to fix this problem Will formatting the HDD fix the problem or is this a hardware issue If so is there even a way to format it Because the only way I know how to format a HDD is through computer management and that is even working in this situation Needless to say formatting the HDD is kind of a last resort I have around GB of data on this HDD that I would rather not losing The disk hasn t moved in months I don t see what would have caused this Thanks in advance nbsp

A:External Hard Drive - Not Intialized - Can't Initialize - 'Incorrect Function' Error

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-not-intialized-cant-initialize-incorrect-function-error.1043776/
Relevancy 64.5%

How to Fix '' Error Performing Inpage Operation'' on my Seagate ext HD Hello, Ive searched through the forums and have found topics relating to the Error Performing Inpage Operation error people will sometimes get on a failed ext Hard Drive and have found some solutions, But none of them worked. My Hard drive is not accessible and showing Full free space even though i have 460 GB on it out of 500 GB hard drive. I have to recover my data as it contain my final year project files and important data. Is there any solution that i could recover it and access it so that i could save my data in alternate DVDs or hard disks

A:''Error Performing Inpage Operation'' on my External Hard Drive-Unable to open my HD!

yadav2mike said:

How to Fix '' Error Performing Inpage Operation'' on my Seagate ext HD Hello, Ive searched through the forums and have found topics relating to the Error Performing Inpage Operation error people will sometimes get on a failed ext Hard Drive and have found some solutions, But none of them worked. My Hard drive is not accessible and showing Full free space even though i have 460 GB on it out of 500 GB hard drive. I have to recover my data as it contain my final year project files and important data. Is there any solution that i could recover it and access it so that i could save my data in alternate DVDs or hard disksClick to expand...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/error-performing-inpage-operation-on-my-external-hard-drive-unable-to-open-my-hd.975003/
Relevancy 64.5%

I recently tried to do a backup onto a WD external hard drive. When I tried to perform the backup, it did not complete successfully. I received the message: "BitLocker Drive Encryption cannot be used because critical BitLocker system files are missing or corrupted. Use Windows Startup Repair to restore these files to your computer". The error code for this was 0x8031004A. I since startup repair would not start automatically, I used a previously created system repair disc to induce startup repair. Startup repair, however, did not find any problems that needed fixing. Is there any way someone can help me out with this? I've been unable to find a solution anywhere else.

Thanks

A:Attempt backup to external hard drive, receive error code 0x8031004A

Have you tried disabling the Bitlocker and backing up ??

Else try this KB and let me know

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/290956-attempt-backup-external-hard-drive-receive-error-code-0x8031004a.html
Relevancy 64.5%

ok my hard drive goes through alot redundancy error (1tb) a digital western hard on cyclic external check drive i bring it to work and friends house but recently i pretty much filled it cyclic redundancy check error on a western digital external hard drive (1tb) up to cyclic redundancy check error on a western digital external hard drive (1tb) about gigs from full capacity then cyclic redundancy check error on a western digital external hard drive (1tb) when i was in a friends house and i tried to transfer some tv programs to catch up on but the speed was unbelievably slow i put it down to the hard drive being so close to full so i said fine then i brought it home and plugged it into my ps so i could watch some movies and i watched one movie no problem and then about half way through the second the ps froze but didnt crash just came out of the movie i was watching and now the read speeds are unbelievably slow and the ps or computer freezes while trying to read just the folder list in explorer and sometimes the crc error comes up and what i have seen on the internet that is normally to do with cds dvds not external hard drives anyways i bought a new tb hard drive and tried to copy some files over and it just seems to stall and not copy the files i had intended copying the files then reformatting the hard drive but it seems to be something more serious than i thought i dont know what it could be so i am looking for a different prospective can anybody help me Thank you in advance for any help that you ay give nbsp

A:cyclic redundancy check error on a western digital external hard drive (1tb)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cyclic-redundancy-check-error-on-a-western-digital-external-hard-drive-1tb.937926/
Relevancy 64.5%

Hi guys,
I recently bought a Toshiba satellite click mini, tried to use my external hard drive but its not showing up at all. Any ideas on how to fix this?
its a Seagate 250gb hard drive. Thanks in advance

A:Satellite click mini not reconising external hard drive or external DVD drive

Originally Posted by rachel.nickells

Hi guys,
I recently bought a Toshiba satellite click mini, tried to use my external hard drive but its not showing up at all. Any ideas on how to fix this?
its a Seagate 250gb hard drive. Thanks in advance

Is it usb powered? If so does the hard drive spin up? Are there any clicking noises from the drive?

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?83630-Satellite-click-mini-not-reconising-external-hard-drive-or-external-DVD-drive
Relevancy 64.5%

I want to get an external hard drive dvd burner combo if there is such a thing To make this question as simple as possible I need a drive/dvd-rw External OR Solved: combo? External drive Hard Hard hard drive that my camera can be plugged into with the firewire I also need the hard drive that is able to plug in to the USB slot on my computer Solved: External Hard drive OR External Hard drive/dvd-rw combo? because my new Dell doesn t seem to tolerate a firewire card which I installed and then took out and returned to the store It froze my computer and I tried everything to stabilize it but had no luck It did work long enough to download min or so of video and I burned that onto a cd Thats when I found out I had a dvd-rom not a dvd burner long story I know Sorry I just want to figure out the most economical way now to save my movies and burn them to dvd also using either another external dvd burner or maybe there is a hard drive dvd burner combo Or should I just get two separate externals Again I need the hard drive burner to plug into my computer with usb Then the firewire from the camera would go into the hard drive burner to download the movies nbsp

Relevancy 64.07%

I have a Dell XPS 15z laptop, spec. is i7-2640 processor, 8GB memory, 750GB hard drive. The problem is that it often freezes and when restarted it suggests no hard drive, "No boot device found". If I go into the BIOS there is no hard drive, if I boot into the diagnostics screen (F12) and run thr tests on the hard drive it comes up as passed, if I then restart the laptop it will boot into windows 7 Ultimate.
Evertime it freezes it won't boot after a restart unless I run diagnostics then it will start OK.
My thoughts are that it is hard drive, although all tests I have carried out on it suggest its OK, one of the times it booted into windows I ran the Seagate seatools and it was fine.
Anyone any suggestions as to the cause?

A:Laptop hard drive issue -- no boot device found/disk read error

Sorry, message at start is "A disk read error occurred", not sure if that makes any difference to your thoughts.
I reformatted and reloaded the software to see if that made any difference but the problem still persists.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-hard-drive-issue-no-boot-device-found-disk-read-error.179788/
Relevancy 63.21%

Here are some errors I have been getting recently First comes randomly out of seemingly nowhere quot Generic Host Process for Win Services has mixer hard External Generic drive, error, errors, viruses... related? sound Host encountered a problem and needs to close We are sorry for the inconvenience quot Soon after my toolbar flashes between the blue WinXP standard and the grey Win standard a couple of times sometimes ending up looking real External hard drive, sound mixer errors, Generic Host error, viruses... related? strange When I go to play a song on WMP quot Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device There might not be a sound device installed on your computer it might be in use by another program or it might not be functioning properly quot Similar errors ensue all over the place When I try to open Volume Control quot There are no active mixer devices available To install quot Ironically making the quot message quot noise XP makes In other words my sound card is most definitely there and it is most definitely working If YouTube or some other music or noise-playing program or website was open when this happens I can still hear sound But for some odd reason the computer thinks it's not there anymore Also my computer has been very sluggish lately - moreso than usual I have been installing several large at least MB usually more like or more programs lately and I've been burning lots of data CDs lately too And I recently wrestled with a scareware called quot AntiVirus Scan quot I think these might be related to each other I'd like some help solving all of them Except the AV Scan one I've got that covered I also have an external hard drive of some GB I took it apart recently and when I put it back together it started giving me quot i o quot errors about running out of time while transferring files and everything just works way slower on it now I can barely use it sometimes Is it possible it's causing some of this grief

A:External hard drive, sound mixer errors, Generic Host error, viruses... related?

Unplug the USB drive and see if the computer responds better. If you go to Control Panel/Sound and Audio Devices/Audio/Sound Playback. Is the sound card listed or greyed out? Is it the same Audio Device that is listed in the Device Manager? Are there yellow marks in the Device Manager? If not, take the drop down arrow and choose the right sound card. You may have some corrupted Windows Files. Go to Start/Run and type SFC /Scannow and put in your XP CD. It will copy any missing files from the CD. As for your external, take it apart and make sure that everything is plugged in correctly and isn't grounding out on the case (try connecting the drive without putting it back in the case.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/external-hard-drive-sound-mixer-errors-generic-host-error-viruses-related-539224.html
Relevancy 62.78%

The hard drive is a Western Digital 320 GB that I've had plugged into this computer before (and worked). Then i got a virus and had to do a recovery of windows.

Ever since then I can't get windows to recognize/show it in my computer. I just "disabled" and "enabled" it in device manager to no effect. I have a C, D, and E drive which are: two partitions on the hard drive, and then the CD drive (respectively).

So i'm stuck, not sure where to proceed since it's obviously not the hard drive itself, I use it on my xbox all the time. What next?

A:External Hard Drive doesn't show up in "my computer" but does in "device manager"

Does it show in Disk Management ? ?
Right clik My Computer...select Manage...then Disk Management.
Find the drive...right clik it and select Properties.
Report back with your findings.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/276295-external-hard-drive-doesnt-show-up-my-computer-but-does-device-manager.html
Relevancy 62.35%

Hello,
I am trying to move all my files from my computer to my new external hard drive, but whenever I try and move a file over 4 GB in size i get this error message...
"The file is too large for the destination file system"... anyone know how I can get around this so I can move those files over?

A:Problem transfering large file from hard drive to external hard drive

Get ahold of some software that will break up the file into chunks.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-transfering-large-file-from-hard-drive-to-external-hard-drive.105596/
Relevancy 62.35%

Hey a Hard Drive Drive External an please! 80gb Enclosure, Zune help in Hard Putting guys My Zune gb stopped working a while back It wouldn t charge So I thought I would take Putting a Zune 80gb Hard Drive in an External Hard Drive Enclosure, help please! out the hard drive and use it as an external gb hard drive So I bought an quot ZIF encolsure for it and installed the hard drive into it All appears good with the installation When I plug the hard drive into the PC the light on the hard drive enclosure comes on and stays on amp the disk starts spinning Then Windows Vista does the whole quot Install new Hardware quot thing and calls it a quot Disk Drive quot and a quot USB Mass Storage Device quot and says hardware is installed and ready for use But the problem is I can t seem to access the drive I can t find it anywhere It doesn t show up as a drive I can use or anything I tried a third party partitioning prgram to try and find the disk so I could reformat it but it wouldn t it couldn t find it either I even plugged the drive into my Mac thinking that Disk Utility might be able to recognize it and let me wipe it but the Mac doesn t recognize it as anything Back in Vista Using Device Manager Vista notices the drive under the quot Disk Drives quot option as a quot Disk Drive quot and that it is elecronically signed by Microsoft since it has the Zune firmware on it but I can t do anything with it And this is the only place where I can see that the drive even exists I can t reformat it or anything Can anyone help me I thought I read somewhere that the problem is the zune firmware Is there anyway I can wipe it Please help I have spent hours searching online and can t seem to get anywhere If I have posted this is in the wrong forum I am sorry Thank you Timothy nbsp

A:Putting a Zune 80gb Hard Drive in an External Hard Drive Enclosure, help please!

anyone?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/putting-a-zune-80gb-hard-drive-in-an-external-hard-drive-enclosure-help-please.1009940/
Relevancy 62.35%

I see it can be done from an installed to an external, but can it be done in reverse, taking the external cased hard drive and cloning it to an internal? The old hard drive is from an xp laptop, and I can aquire another xp laptop if I can clone this way. Perhaps if I set the enclosure hard drive as master? All ideas are greatly appreciated. Many thanks

A:Clone a laptop hard drive from an external case to an internal hard drive

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/clone-a-laptop-hard-drive-from-an-external-case-to-an-internal-hard-drive.1037757/
Relevancy 61.49%

I recently formatted my c drive and now i am reinstalling all the software. I keep all the setups of software in my external hard drive. For installing the software I coy the setup folder of the required software on my laptop, then install it.

Is straightaway installing the software by accessing the external hard drive okay? Does it make any difference in the installation time or any reduction in life of hard disk performance.

Or should I always install through my laptop hard drive?

I am running windows 8.1 pro

A:installation software from external hard drive or internal hard drive

Your method is as good as any. If it works, keep doing it.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/installation-software-from-external-hard-drive-or-internal-hard-drive-1056962.html
Relevancy 61.49%

I need an external hard drive for taking regular backups of all of my data.
When i searched the internet I got two options:
1. Porable HDD [high cost, slower speed but don't need external power]
2. Desktop HDD [low cost, higher speed but need external power]

I want to know that...
1. Which hard disk's live longer? Porable or Desktop.
2. I heared that pulling off USB cable of Portable HDD may cause data lose because it also supplies power to hdd.
What will happpen if Power goes off from Desktop HDD? Will my data/Hard disk remain protected?
3. Level of safety of data on moving or shaking on both Desktop and Portable HDD.
4. Can we install os and boot from portable and desktop external hdd?

A:Need Advice : External Desktop Hard drive vs Portable Hard drive?

Unless you really need to go portable with a Laptop .. I'd not use a USB powered External.
You cannot boot from a USB External .. But there's another option if you're capable of physically changing HDDs ..

Get a good external Enclosure (with a fan for cooling) .. Install a good HDD ... with a 5 year warranty
and make the HDD in the enclosure a bootable backup .. where you could swap HDDs if/when needed ..

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-advice-external-desktop-hard-drive-vs-portable-hard-drive.988810/
Relevancy 61.06%

I have an old Western Digital drive that came with Dell Inspiron One and replaced it after years There are some files I need from it now and I'm trying to connect via usb to sata The WD volume does not show up Device Device not old found driver internal drive from hard WD USB SES I got to device manager and found it listed in in unknown devices and it needs a driver to install Where do I go to find the driver Western digital site basically said that I need to go to the manufactures webstie dell for the driver but once im on dell i see nothing that hints at a Western Digital Driver Here is the Wester Digital info from there site Here is WD SES Device USB Device driver not found from old internal hard drive Dell Website of the model I use drivers section B Dell Inspiron One Drivers Download for Windows XP Vista EDIT I think I found it would it in fact be this driver It is listed on the availale drivers for the model I have after entering my express service code I assume it is but would feel better if someone could confirm this to be true Western Digital WD AALX WD AALX WD AALX WD EALX RPM SATA Firmware UpdateView details R exe Hard-Drive MB

A:WD SES Device USB Device driver not found from old internal hard drive

could installing that drivers mess up my computer. I'm using another similar Hard drive.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/359253-wd-ses-device-usb-device-driver-not-found-old-internal-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 61.06%

Looking to buy an external hard drive for backup. This will be used only to backup data periodically. This is certainly a good price ($140):

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1474205

I've never heard of it. Anyone have any experience with that brand?

A:Opinions on BeyondMicro External Hard Drive?-or recommendations on External Case?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/opinions-on-beyondmicro-external-hard-drive-or-recommendations-on-external-case.381320/
Relevancy 61.06%

Hi every one!

I have a question. Is it possible that we scan an external Hard Drive (here: WD) by combofix? As I know, when we run combo on pc, actually it affects and scans windows files and has no action on the existed Trojan or virus in the Hard Drive or USB Flash memory... if every one has more idea please help me!

A:Scan WD (external Hard Device)

Please...do not run ComboFix on your own.

I am moving your topic to what appears to be the appropriate forum...it will help if you provide some details on what makes you believe that your system is infected and prompts you to inquire about running ComboFix.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/456978/scan-wd-external-hard-device/
Relevancy 60.63%

So I want to clone one external 2TB with another. So one drive is the main use one and another the backup one. So I copy everything over to backup and i store the backup at another house and then I start using the main: deleting and adding/editing files. What is the best software or whatever to allow me, after some time, synchronize/clone the externals again without deleting all on the backup drive and recopying? (main to backup) and make them clones again? ..Adding and deleting or replacing any nonidentical files.. Like where i can press a button on some software and it do the work for me.
Sorry if this is confusing

A:Best external to external hard drive synchronized backup plan?

There's a bunch of applications that can do that.

They all work pretty much the same way, but would differ in how easy they are to understand and configure---the interfaces would differ and the help files would differ.

I use FreeFileSync from sourceforge.net.

Others are Syncback, Folder Clone, Karen's Replicator, FBackup, Second Copy, and Synchromagic.

You should be able to configure them to do one or the other of the following:

1: If you delete or modify a file on the "original", it will also be deleted or modified on the backup.

2: If you delete a file on the "original", it will be retained on the backup. If you modify a file, both the modified and unmodified file will be retained on the backup.

It's up to you which choice you prefer. I use the first method, which is often called "mirroring"--one drive is an exact match of the other.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/346288-best-external-external-hard-drive-synchronized-backup-plan.html
Relevancy 60.63%

Hi all,

I have an old hard drive for my pc that I would like to use as a backup device. Since it is not in my machine (and I don't want to put it back in), I am looking for a device that allows me to connect it via usb to use to backup my work.

I am sure I have seen these a while ago and they cost around 10-15, though I can't remember what they are called or what they look like, so I'm not sure what to be looking for.

Can anyone help?

thanks,

gubar

A:Device that let's me connect an old hard drive to use as backup device?

external usb enclosure

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...n=external usb enclosure&bop=And&Order=RATING

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/device-that-lets-me-connect-an-old-hard-drive-to-use-as-backup-device.91624/
Relevancy 60.2%

I installed Windows 7 on a new (smaller) hard drive using recovery disk. After installation went successfully (according to the pop up the dialog box), the machine restarted and I got the error "No bootable device". The machine is Acer Aspire one netbook with Windows 7 Starter.

The computer detected the hard drive in BIOS. I also connected the hard drive to another machine externally and here's the partition info:

12GB Healthy (Recovery Partition)
102MB NTFS, System Reserved, Healthy (Active, Primary Partition)
97.67GB NTFS, Acer, Healthy (Logical Drive)

How do I get this laptop to boot up with the new hard drive?

A:"No Bootable Device" error after win 7 installation on new hard drive

did you check your bios and make sure the new harddrive is set to the first device to boot from?

scrooge

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/191689-no-bootable-device-error-after-win-7-installation-new-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 59.77%

Hello,

I am connecting a 640GB Samsung G2 Portable External Hard Drive to my HP Pavilion 15 Laptop.
The external hard drive works on other desktop and laptop computers here at work, but when connected to the HP Pavilion (Windows 8.1 OS) it shows up as a Local Disk (H: but when trying to Open the drive it says:
?Location Not Available H:\ is not accessible The device is not ready.?
What should I do?
Assistance is much appreciated...

A:External Hard Drive - Error - "Location not Available"

Welcome to Windows EightForums, jhnel.

Is the drive in the correct format?

Windows key + X > Choose Disk Management. It should tell you format and partition info there.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/40470-external-hard-drive-error-location-not-available.html