Windows Support Forum

Trying to overclock a dino, AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+

Q: Trying to overclock a dino, AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+

Hallo, i've had this computer since about late 2005, and i'm wanting to overclock it but i don't know exactly how far i can go with it, i'm not wanting to go overboard just give it abit of a boost.

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ 2.2GHz

And as far as my computer, here's all of the specs Directly from the HP Site.

h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00620031&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=1847152

i'm currently running on: Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600)

2 Sticks of RAM: 1 Gig DDR2 400Mhz CL3
= 2 Gigs of Ram.

Basically i'm wanting to know how far i can take it(i'm only looking at taking it to maybe 2.5 tho) And what settings i have to put in, Also i have upgraded to a 500W Power Supply And my Graphics card is: GeForce 9800 GTX

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/trying-to-overclock-a-dino-amd-athlon-tm-64-x2-dual-core-4200.172826/
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Trying to overclock a dino, AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 87.42%

i've been trying to find out how far i can push the amd athlon 64 x2 dual core 4200+ running at 2.2GHz on a ECS C51PVGM-GB Version 1.0 Motherboard.

I attached the complete specs i got through running dxdiag in command prompt.

I really dont kno where to even start with overclocking this CPU so whatever anyone could do would be much appreciated.....:grinthumb

A:Help overclocking my Athlon 4200 64 dual core

How far you can push a CPU depends on a myriad of factors. Your cooling system. The CPU architecture. The CPU manufacturing process. Whether you are willing to overvolt or not. And often, luck.

dxdiag won't provide you with any of that information. You should use CPU-Z to get that information and then determine what options your motherboard has available to you for altering things like the FSB speed, HTT link speed and divider, et cetera.

Brush up a bit on the CPU itself first before you mess with it.

The ECS board won't provide you much room for altering anything anyway, as it is designed to be an entry level board with not a lot of option.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-overclocking-my-athlon-4200-64-dual-core.109899/
Relevancy 105.35%

Hi i have a Asus A8N32-SLI with a AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 2.2GHz Socket 939 and i have it overclocked to 2.9Ghz on a 11x Multiply and it seem pretty stable when playing call of duty 4 etc. But as i lower the Multiply to 9x and put FSB overclock to (325) which makes it 2925 Ghz the pc boots but its not stable on the desktop would high performance DRR 400Mhz OCZ Performance DDR400,corsair xms etc make it more stable on the lower 9x multiply since the Ram iam using now is just cheap

A:AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 2.2GHz overclock

RAM makes a big difference. I've had good experience from OCZ and Corsair. You may want to try adjusting the voltage on the cpu or the memory. Though the cheap memory may not do so good with adjusting the voltage.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/amd-athlon-64-x2-4200-2-2ghz-overclock.92482/
Relevancy 104.92%

I have just about decided to go with the e but want to make sure one last time it is the right way to go These two CPU s are the same price According to most conroe X2 duo e6300 AMD 64 VS 4200+ ATHLON 2 AM2 D/CORE Intel core people the e left the in the dust in all tests I do however still like AMD What do you guys think The e Intel e6300 core 2 duo conroe VS AMD ATHLON 64 X2 4200+ AM2 D/CORE or the Even though both are low core speeds Intel e6300 core 2 duo conroe VS AMD ATHLON 64 X2 4200+ AM2 D/CORE and ghz respectively they still out perform a ghz pentium Is this correct I dont understand why a CPU with low core speed can outperform one with very high speed I was always under the impression that core speed was the main determinant of quot performance quot If anyone could clear this up it would be hugely appreciated Also for the same money I can buy a Intel Pentium D- CPU - Ghz MHz FSB x MB L Cache LGA Which of these is the best All help would be hugely appreciated Regards Korrupt nbsp

A:Intel e6300 core 2 duo conroe VS AMD ATHLON 64 X2 4200+ AM2 D/CORE

Out of those 3, the E6300 is the best. Conroe's new architecture is so efficient, that easily outperforms Netburst based CPU´s (P4, PD, Celeron D), and even manages to outperform AMD CPU's.

You can see by yourself HERE. All Conroe CPU's perform excellent. And you can overclock them very easily, and that way, your 1.8GHZ Conroe overclocked to 2000-2400 MHZ will completely trash the other CPU's.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/intel-e6300-core-2-duo-conroe-vs-amd-athlon-64-x2-4200-am2-d-core.56593/
Relevancy 94.6%

hey just wonderinf if anyone could help me choose out of these two processors.would be greatly appreciated

AMD Athlon Dual-Core QL-67 (2.2GHz, HyperTransport? 3: up to 4.0 (GT/sec), 2MB L2 Cache)

Intel® Pentium® processor T4300 (2.1GHz, 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache)
thank you

A:Comparing amd athlon dual core and intel pentium dual core

They are quite similar. Both have nearly the same clock speed. Both have a total of 1MB of L2cache but the intel's is shared and the AMD's is exclusive. The intel is 45nm and the AMD is 65nm which means the AMD will run hotter most likely. The AMD gets a boost from its on die memory controller and HyperTransport links on its motherboard. Both are capable of running full 64 operating systems.

The best difference between them would be as to what is on board their respective laptop. The AMD will have quite respectable performance from its video chip as I would hope it either a Radeon HD 3200 or better a 4200 with SidePort memory. These are about the best you can get for integrated video these days. The intel will undoubtedly have a GMA4500. These don't game very well nor do they do a very good job of playing high def video. The AMD chipset should have a fairly complete selection of connectors and functions. The interl may or may not, depending on the maker.

Both chips have a TDP of 35 Watts. The intel should offer slightly longer battery life for a given series of tasks, say about a half hour.

As you can see, these two CPUs are quite similar on and of themselves, the supporting cast of laptop parts makes or breaks the deal.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/comparing-amd-athlon-dual-core-and-intel-pentium-dual-core.140169/
Relevancy 93.31%

I built this computer about a month ago, and Yet again i put it aside because there was a problem...Everything is in and should be in working order but Nothing shows up on the monitor ive tryed 2 different Videocards (fx5500,7100gs) and neither worked, so then i decided to send back the Motherboard and processor to check for defects and nothing found So im left with this computer that seems to start up fine, no post beeps and nothing showing up on the monitor.Also theres no OS installed on it.

The monitor reads that its connected but nothing shows up at all.

Amd Athlon 4200 Dual Core Processor
Asus M2V motherboard
1gb Wintec PC4200
Chaintech 7100Gs
Sony 18x DVD writer
Western Digital 60gb

A:New COmputer Problems...AMD Athlon 4200 Dual

you did not mention your PSU. Is your PSU healthy and reliable? Does it provide adequate power plus 30% cushion?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-computer-problems-amd-athlon-4200-dual.74704/
Relevancy 92.88%

Im contemplating on purchasing this:
AMD 35W Mobile Athlon XP-M 2000+ 1.533GHz, 266 MHz FSB, 512K L2 Cache Processor - OEM
Model# AXMD2000GJQ4C
Item # N82E16819103441
Specification
Model: AMD Mobile Athlon XP-M
Core: Barton
Operating Frequency: 1.533GHz
FSB: 266MHz
Cache: L1/64K+64K; L2/ 512KB
Voltage: 1.35V
Process: 0.13Micron
Socket:uPGA socket 563.
Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, 3DNOW!, 3DNOW!+
Packaging: OEM(Processor Only)
My question is, if i had a nice fully copper thermaltake heatsink rated to cool up to an athlon xp socket A 3400+, how much could i possibly stabily over clock this processor to?

A:How Much can you overclock a ATHLON XP 2000 mobile (barton core)

http://www.overclockers.com
Detailed Info on how much you can push ur CPUs before they become liquid silicon.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-much-can-you-overclock-a-athlon-xp-2000-mobile-barton-core.260211/
Relevancy 91.16%

I am buying a new rig tomorrow, just wanted to see what you thought about it.

I have a choice between a $269 used pentium dual core vs a brand new 299 AMD Athlon? Single-Core Processor LE-1620?

Whats better and how faster is the AMD Athlon? Single-Core Processor LE-1620 vs my pentium III/600MHZ?

A:Pentium Dual core vs AMD Athlon Single-Core Processor LE-1620?

Depends on what the specs are with the Intel dual core and what specs you're getting with the AMD.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pentium-dual-core-vs-amd-athlon-single-core-processor-le-1620.126258/
Relevancy 91.16%

System specs Athlon x Windsor ghz single using stable Dual while crashes web, Athlon on core core but is randomly W tdp Gigabyte GA-Ma DS rev AMD SB His radeon MB had before x GB Dual core Athlon crashes randomly while using web, but is stable on single core Kingston DDR mhz CL xSeagate ST AS in RAID on SB Chieftec W power supply LG DVD rewriter Bunch of fans Windows XP pro bit x windows temporary I m having a strange problem from quite a long time PC just reboots randomly when I use internet applications like p p or browser It s that I can click quot favorities quot in firefox and puff reboot Leave pc for a night - reeboot at o clock I tried to find the cause updated drivers bios reinstalled windows several times - still getting the random crashes But if I use the numproc statement and run my PC as single core it stays perfectly stable for week But sadly the low power mode doesn t work then and CPU is getting hotter than in dual core mode also uses more energy However I don t think the low power mode isn t the cause - ran a prime for half a day on processor tuned down to ghz and V low power mode without a crash Ran memtest in dos mode for hours - no problems Also I have secondary XP pro without NIC drivers installed no web just for gaming and I can play for hours straight and never got any crash of this kind On the the primary OS open two windows start unpacking archive and try to browse web and I get a crash in minutes But sometimes nothing happens for a week or so Also I noticed following problems - disk read error not enough system resources to finish the task various p p programs say that - explorer windows disappearing closing usually when trying to use search on already loaded system - system locking down blank display cursor freezes when switching users but in most cases recoverable via external management log into console from another pc force logoff the user x display is back to normal - crashed on vista after minutes of usage None of above happens when using the single core but one of my applications won t start then for some reason Running out of ideas I tried to set all possible exes in windows folder to uniprocesor with imagecfg but got a nice bluescreens not surprised though Graphic card was replaced recently also I had this problem on previous hard drive though not so recently happening Temps in celsius are ambient CPU in iddle weird but true max system - voltages always in the ATX specs with vcore dropping to V in low power mode I know it s something dual core and internet related but can t figure what that could be Is it software bug Or maybe a hardware malfunction The only pieces I can think now to be faulty are processor but it passes all the tests or the motherboard itself Anything I can try before buying a half of new computer nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dual-core-athlon-crashes-randomly-while-using-web-but-is-stable-on-single-core.917182/
Relevancy 90.3%

Hey everyone.

I recently (not so recently) bought a 4200+ as an upgrade to my existing 3200+. the a8v-e says it supports dual core cpu's with a bios update. as such i did. Now it reads as dual core but with 1 core not doing anything. and when i ctr+alt+del it shows only 1 cpu in cpu usage chart which isnt right. I have tried talking to asus but the people over phone dont speak a word of english and the forum system tells me to go away.

Any help would be great

A:A8v-e deluxe and 4200+ dual core

I think you got a defective CPU. Your board is interesting because it has all kinds of over clocking features...but... it uses older 400, 333, and 266 mhz ram. socket 939 handles many processors. Athlon 64 FX and the X2. It will recognize your dual core CPU anytime. Why not jack it up to the fastest that will fit?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/a8v-e-deluxe-and-4200-dual-core.92776/
Relevancy 89.87%

I'm trying to decide between two different Acer Aspire Notebooks.
One has:
2.20 GHz AMD V Series V120 single-core processor with 512 KB L2 cache and 1066 MHz front-side bus
250 GB SATA hard drive (5400 RPM)
3 GB of installed DDR3 RAM (1066 MHz; expandable to 8 GB)
ATI Radeon HD 4250 graphics (with 256 MB of discrete video memory) It provides up to 1919 MB of total shared system memory

The other has:
AMD Athlon II X2 dual-core P320 processor
2.10GHz, 1066MHz Front Side Bus, 1MB L2 Cache
2GB DDR3 system memory
250GB SATA hard drive
ATI Radeon HD 4250 graphics with 256MB of dedicated system memory

Which would be better for simple computing, surfing, and streaming videos?

A:AMD v-series single core vs. AMD Athlon dual core

IMO the dual core, but it obviously takes more power, though you don't mention battery life or portability.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/amd-v-series-single-core-vs-amd-athlon-dual-core.152007/
Relevancy 88.15%

I currently own a single core AMD Athlon 64 processor (3200+), and a friend told me that if i upgrade to dual-core, I'd be able to multi-task on the computer.

But on the other hand, the articles I've found on the internet so far say that most applications these days don't take advantage of the power of dual-core processors.
Would I really notice a significant difference in performance if I upgraded to an AMD dual core 4200+ processor? (the price difference is like $140 US)

Also, my mother board is socket 939, shall I change it too? or simply use a socket 939 compatible dual processor?
Your help is much appreciated

Relevancy 83.85%

Hi is this a 64 or 32 bit processor?

I have it installed on a 32bit xp pro system but i just seem to think its slow for example if i have a picture on the desktop and double click it to open it just seems to sit there for ages before it opens (just using windows picture and fax viewer).

I'm also just about to do a format and clean install is there any tips you could give me to get the most out of system (without overclocking).

Motherboard MSI K9VGM-V
Corsair Memory TWIN2X2048-6400 2x1GB 240-Pin DIMM XMS2-6400 CL5
200gb Ide hdd

Dave

Relevancy 83.85%

Pentium Dual-Core v. Athlon X2...winner? Both have comparable clock speeds. The Athlon uses a different FSB. It has less cache. Which is faster?

Relevancy 83.85%

Below is a copy and paste of a computer ad i am looking at. Last time i bought a computer, Pen4 was a top of the line processor,so i am out of touch with presentday top line processors.

Is what is pasted below a 'ATHLON64 DUAL CORE' ? is that the best ATHLON processor available? Or is AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 2GHz 3800+ processor better?
(reminder 'there is no such thing as a dumb question')
Processor
Type: AMD Athlon 64 3800+ / 2.4 GHz
Multi-Core Technology: Dual-Core

Relevancy 82.99%

Hey there guys, not sure if this is the right area for this or not, but im looking to pick up a new AMD Athlon? X2 Dual-Core processor at 3 Ghz.

Now Right now I have a P4 2.4 Ghz Socket 478, and I would like to upgrade my CPU, but cant really see this socket type going much higher than a single 3 ghz.

I am looking to invest in the AMD Athlon? X2 Dual-Core, but Im not sure which mobo I would need to be able to have it work properly.

Unless you guys can just recommend a good upgrade to my cpu which wont have me get a new mobo.

thanks guys!

A:debating AMD Athlon™ X2 Dual-Core processor

I just did a search, & I think the socket 478 is for Intel CPU's. If you want an AMD CPU,
you could probably find a combo deal of CPU & motherboard at NewEgg, TigerDirect, or
Fry's Electronics at reasonable prices over just buying a 3.0 ghz CPU.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/ComboDea...rboards&Page=5

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/119056-debating-amd-athlon-x2-dual-core-processor.html
Relevancy 82.99%

I just recently got through overclocking an Athlon X system to ghz and thought I might share my experiences in case it might help someone not encounter all the trouble I went through haha First off here are the specs I started out with Gigabyte K N-SLI apparently not the best board to OC with but it worked in the end Athlon X Week stock ghz per core Antec Neo HE w power supply in Core a Dual Adventures Overclocking 64 Athlon with BFG Geforce GT OC stock x mb of OCZ Platinum PC stock mhz CL - - Random Soundblaster Live that was laying around the house Linksys Wireless card Windows XP x edition OK so the board starts out at mhz with a x multiplier for Hypertransport speed for a total of mhz This as I found out after days Adventures in Overclocking with a Dual Core Athlon 64 of trial and error is the key to any overclocking walls with this particular setup My initial attempts involved simply raising the mhz bit by Adventures in Overclocking with a Dual Core Athlon 64 bit First to then a quick round of benchmarks Adventures in Overclocking with a Dual Core Athlon 64 then and a quick round of benchmarks So far so good Wham It hits the fan Board won t even get past the POST screen at I tried raising the timings of the memory in case it was simply a bad set as OCZ is particularly known for being able to go beyond stock at the tight timings it is rated at - no go I tried lowering the CPU multiplier no go I tried raising all the voltages no go On a somewhat related note this board does not allow you to specify exact voltages for anything except the CPU The chipset DDR and HT voltage settings are only expressed in values of n - the maximum for which is and respectively and all of which I have set to maximum The CPU can go anywhere from v to v in varying increments so I attempted a massive v overvolt on the CPU to get it to emit any signs of life Don t try this at home In fact I wouldn t even recommend that I try that anymore Cause it still didn t work Then it dawned on me that the HT might be sensitive to overclocking so I lower it down to x Damn Lower it down to x x x x Still nothing Then I hit the bottom of the barrel x essentially bringing the HT bus to the same level as a regular old DDR FSB Well whaddya know It posts And boots And benchmarks quite nicely I start getting a little crazy and pumping up the FSB goes by without incident I stop at and check to make sure everything is stable - folding home Prime Sandra dmark etc because I just like the number incidentally that s faster than the first CPU that I recall being fast - the Pentium and ironically enough that s as high as the board will go So at this point I m still wondering if there is any possible way to squeeze more juice out of it now that I ve hit the RAM s expected wall I read on OCZ support forums that mhz is typically the highest that this particular model will go There is a feature on my board to run the RAM at a different clock speed vs the FSB and I expect that any decent board not made to put in a Compaq computer will be able to use this feature I made use of it to run the RAM divider at and started on my FSB pumping journey again All whizzed by with no problems outside of the occasional needing to bump the voltage on the CPU At this point I was quite satisfied with the overclocking performance of my processor and board as benchmarks went by without a hitch and the system was noticeably snappier - even moreso than when I initially installed it having known previously only a single CPU system with generic RAM at crap timings I decided to push it to the very limit FSB leaving the RAM at the max due to the divider - and overclock the video card as well Since I had already found out the video card s maximums before I started going nuts on everything else this part was rather painless A quick run of the NVTray application to enable Coolbits overclocking on my new Windows install then I go in and crank it up to mhz core ghz memory apparently not the best overclock for the... Read more

A:Adventures in Overclocking with a Dual Core Athlon 64

What an excellent read fury.

I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Regards Howard

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/adventures-in-overclocking-with-a-dual-core-athlon-64.41752/
Relevancy 82.99%

Desktop is quite slow  and recently upgraded from Vista to windows 10 , just changed dual core 4GB RAM, considering changing from AMD Athlon X2 4450e Operating speed: Up to 2.3 GHzNumber of cores: 2Socket: AM2Bus speed: 2000MT/s to AMD Athlon 64 x2 with dual core technology up to x64 watt  but there are so many , just need some guidance from the community forum, and also considering from HDD to SDD. Thanks in advance

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/AMD-athlon-64-x2-with-dual-core-technology-up-to-x64-watt/td-p/5785152
Relevancy 82.99%

How much is a friggin 3/4 of a BB or 1 1/2 of a grain of rice?

Does it make that much of a difference? I realize you aren't supposed to put a lot, but I usually eyeball it and really don't know if I'm putting the right amount.

The instructions at Artic Silver site are a bit confusing. It looks like you just apply the bead, then put the heatsink on, give it a small twist and that's it. Right?

Relevancy 82.99%

Hi,I am thinking of upgrading this Processor to an AMD Phenom? II X3 Processor or a x4,would this be worth it for performance.or stick with the present. Regards Martin.

A:AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+

this processor will give you a huge performance increase over the 4400, however you will need a different motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103649

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/amd-athlon-64-x2-dual-core-processor-4400.130960/
Relevancy 82.56%

I am preparing to swap my CPU for an AMD X dual core and add another gig of ram using the exact same Corsair memory x MB DIMMs currently installed in my system see my A8N-E 3000+ X2 for ASUS AMD mobo Athlon 4200+ Athlon swapping 64 - AMD system configuration below I need some direction as info overload has me uncertain about order of the steps to do this as well as a good bit of information from various users of this particular mobo indicating that I am in for a lot of problems which I would prefer to avoid if at all possible The manual that came with the board does not offer the info I need and unfortunately the Forum and the Technical Form pages on the ASUS website will not display due to problems with their website thus restricting vital information from me So I was unable to find help through those avenues and I am currently awaiting a response to an email I sent to the ASUS A8N-E mobo - swapping AMD Athlon 64 3000+ for AMD Athlon X2 4200+ ASUS tech support ASUS A8N-E mobo - swapping AMD Athlon 64 3000+ for AMD Athlon X2 4200+ site I need help by having the following questions answered plus any additional information that can be provided is certainly welcomed Here are my questions I have read numerous complaints that this mobo is not actually designed for the X CPU and that it was just an afterthought since the box has an X sticker on it rather than having it actually printed on the box There are complaints that even with BIO updates etc there are problems with system hang ups and crashes after installing an X CPU Is this board actually designed to run an X processor if the chip set and BIOS are updated as per ASUSs instructions Is there a mobo version of the A N-E that works better than others i e a version vs a version When I was researching this on the ASUS website before purchasing the X CPU I did not find anything the made reference to this being an issue I have read that the AMD processors are limited to being able to access no more than six banks of memory due to limitations in the onboard memory controller even though AMDs website says otherwise I understand that this can result in performance reduction when adding two additional DIMMs as I am planning to do with the two additional MB DIMMs The recommendation I have seen in one forum is to upgrade to two GB DIMMS to get gigs of memory running in dual channel mode to avoid this problem Is this a legitimate problem and if so will the updates for the chip set and BIOS resolve this In researching the ASUS and AMD websites I find that there are at least four updates that need to be installed to get the X to work if in fact it can work The ASUS site instructs me to update the chip set drivers first then flash the BIOS with the most current version which I believe to be Also the AMD website advises that I will need to install the AMD Dual Core Optimizer and the AMD Dual Core Processor Driver version for Windows XP in order for the processor to work or work correctly My question is do I install all of these before swapping the CPU or update the chip set and flash the BIOS first then install the X and then boot up and install the optimizer and dual core driver last Also is the BIOS stable I have seen conflicting reports that say it is and others say it isn t and that the preceding version is best I believe is the preceding version As you can see I am drowning in information overload I don t want to have problems with what should be an upgrade that while not for a novice or amateur isn t rocket science either In the past five years I have built five PCs for myself and my family networked our house built two servers at my office interfaced a Server network with an NT network also at my office and do video editing on the side using Adobe products so I am not clueless where computers are concerned I just need some clear direction from someone or several someones that have been down this road before so I can avoid as many pitfalls as possible Here is my current system configurat... Read more

A:ASUS A8N-E mobo - swapping AMD Athlon 64 3000+ for AMD Athlon X2 4200+

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/asus-a8n-e-mobo-swapping-amd-athlon-64-3000-for-amd-athlon-x2-4200.606639/
Relevancy 82.13%

My wife is looking to buy A Windows 7 system and she is looking at the above. I can't remember whether regular 32 bit programs will work on a 64 bit cpu. I assume Windows 7 will be 64 bit though.
Thanks.

A:Acer Ferrari One AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor

Hi Bertie!

Quote:
Most programs designed for a computer running a 32-bit version of Windows will work on a computer running 64-bit versions of Windows. Notable exceptions are many antivirus programs, and some hardware drivers.

Drivers designed for 32-bit versions of Windows do not work on computers running a 64-bit version of Windows. If you're trying to install a printer or other device that only has 32-bit drivers available, it won't work correctly on a 64-bit version of Windows.

From Microsoft 32-Bit and 64-Bit FAQ

Thanks,
ZeshanA
If a user helps you, clcik the scales at the top right of their post and click "I Approve"!

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/38744-acer-ferrari-one-amd-athlon-64-x2-dual-core-processor.html
Relevancy 82.13%

AMD Athlon Dual Core QL-60 has no monitor brightness/contrast controls. Way too bright- where can I find the user manual? Does anyone know how to access the monotor control panel on this machine? ~C

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Software-and-How-To-Questions/AMD-Athlon-Dual-Core-QL-60-has-no-monitor-brightness/td-p/5808299
Relevancy 82.13%

Hey guys MOTHERBOARD Crosshair II Formular - nVidia GeForce CPU AMD Athlon x Dual Core Processor x2 AMD dual-core upgrade Suggestions for Athlon 64 4800+ VIDEO nVidia GeForce a SLi OS Windows Ultimate SP -bit So about a week ago my WD Cravier blue GB internal HDD died on me tried repairing bad sectors with chkdsk r and it said Suggestions for AMD Athlon 64 x2 dual-core 4800+ upgrade no bad sectors found but Dban and other software could not continue because of bad sectors so anyway I ve brought a new WD Cravier Green TB HDD and thought why not do a few more much needed upgrades at the same time so I upgraded my x GB DDR PC - ram to x GB DDR PC - which in total only cost me when compared to Crucial memory quoting me for the GB bundle However i m just wandering if you experts have any other performance upgrade advice Is there a better processor that s compatible with my mobo Am I better off using the onboard GeForce HDMI port or my a Sli How easy is it to multiboot with Ubuntu or ChromeOS oh and one more question that a friend asked me the other day might save me some precious google searching time he has installed win ultimate -bit but has two internal HDD s hooked up master slave but when he boots he gets the choice between quot Windows quot or Earlier version of windows quot i ve told him that he probably still has an operating system on the slave drive and windows is presenting a multiboot screen is this correct p s - Hello Mr Leeky i m sure you ll be one of the first in here lol nbsp

A:Suggestions for AMD Athlon 64 x2 dual-core 4800+ upgrade

37 views and nobody has any suggestions to any of the questions? come on techspot users...be brave!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/suggestions-for-amd-athlon-64-x2-dual-core-4800-upgrade.165276/
Relevancy 82.13%

friends,i'm having a compatibility problem,can anyone tell me what motherboard will be compatible with geforce 8600GT and AMD athlon dual core and ddr2 2gb of ram?

A:compatible motherboard for 8600gt and AMD athlon dual core

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131042
This board doesn't have SLI.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131013
This board has 8X SLI.

http:///www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131011
This board has 16X SLI.

What kind of compatibility problems?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/compatible-motherboard-for-8600gt-and-amd-athlon-dual-core.82360/
Relevancy 81.27%

I m sorry if I post this in a wrong section My problem is that my computer runs extremely slow even though it is not an old obsolete one I just purchased it about months ago Since it takes me a lot of time- about hour driving- to go to the store and get tech support TM X2 help Core Athlon runs )- pls ( Dual slow Windows extremely 64 I haven t talked to the technicians there about my computer problems yet It takes about - minutes for my computer to startup everytime I turn Windows runs extremely slow ( Athlon TM 64 X2 Dual Core )- pls help it on also it takes at least - minutes to shut it down completely I believe thae speed is extremely slow for such a computer like mine In addition the program response time is very slow too and I can see it defintely when comparing it with my old computer It takes too much time to open up any program on my new computer such as Firefox Winamp Nero Word Excel This doesn t happen on my old computer I have no idea why it runs Windows runs extremely slow ( Athlon TM 64 X2 Dual Core )- pls help that slow I read PC magazines and PC stuff often and I was informed that AMD dual core chip runs faster and more stable than Intel chip It was the reason why this time I chose to buy an AMD product computer instead of Intel However it really disappoints me Below is my new computer s spec the one I m having problem with and my old computer s spec the one running fast and smoothly I hope anyone here can help me figure out what s wrong with my computer or give me any suggestion I greatly appreciate it New computer AMD Athlon TM X Dual Core CPU Ghz GB of RAM PC DDR Dual Channel GB rpm MB cache SATA hard drive Watt Max Output Supply PCI Express x Realtek AC Audio Radeon R Xpress Bus speed Mhz Bios Phoenix PG -in- card drive IEEE firewire ports USB ports x DVD-ROM x DVD Double Layer Dual Format Burner Windows XP Media Center SP Sygate Pro Firewall- NOD anti-virus Old computer Intel Pentium Mhz CPU Ghz GB of RAM GB IDE hard drive Realtek AC Audio NVIDIA GeForce FX Bus speed MHz FSB Mhz Bios Phoenix PG x DVD-ROM x CD-RW DVD-RW Windows XP Pro SP Sygate Pro Firewall- NOD anti-virus How come my new computer sucks I thought it will be a lot better than the old one I have no problem like program errors installation pop-up It s just the big problem it runs incredibly slow Oh by the way I sometimes experience this kind of problem with my new computer is that the screen suddenly just blows up I mean every icon on the screen suddenly gets bigger and the color is totally messed up When it happens I lose control of the mouse and I have to restart by pressing the restart button Anyone who knows of a solution for any of my problem please help me out nbsp

A:Windows runs extremely slow ( Athlon TM 64 X2 Dual Core )- pls help

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-runs-extremely-slow-athlon-tm-64-x2-dual-core-pls-help.477543/
Relevancy 81.27%

What is the safest, most stable and highest clock speed this CPU can go up to? I just figured out how to overclock it, and I understand that it can be dangerous and must be done only by a few notches at a time. Before I had it clocked at 2.11 GHz (Original) but now I have it clocked at 2.12 GHz. What is the maximum clock speed it can go up to?

A:What is the maximum clock speed an AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core 4000+ can go up to?

I have taken one of those up to 2.4Ghz, but I didn't go any higher. Before you overclock, also make sure your heatsink will be able to handle cooling it.

And remember that all CPU's are different, just because somebody can get theirs up to 5Ghz doesn't mean someone else with the same CPU can.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/what-is-the-maximum-clock-speed-an-amd-athlon-x2-dual-core-4000-can-go-up-to.1052896/
Relevancy 81.27%

Helo,

Anyone one know if an Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+ 2.00Ghz Socket AM2
That is in a:
MSI K9A Platinum Crossfire ddr2 motherboard

is worth overclocking? i checked in my BIOS and i am able to overlock from there, i also got some software that came with the motherboard that will let me overclock it but im guessing its best to do it within the bios?

oh and i am using the stock HSF whick i no will limit my overclocking for now till i get a new one, but still any help suggestions tips ect will be great.

thanks

A:Overclocking any good with an athlon 64 x2 dual core 3800+ 2.00GHz

if you are going to overclock, you should have decent ram that supports it. oc'ing is very dependent upon your ram. go here http://www.techpowerup.com/systool/ and download systool. this will let you fool around with your settings little by little in windows, so if you mess soemthing up, you will still be able top restart your system. as for whehter it's worth it? sure. i oc my athlon x2 4400 + all the time, although it doesnt oc as much as an opteron or fx chip. good luck!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/overclocking-any-good-with-an-athlon-64-x2-dual-core-3800-2-00ghz.65504/
Relevancy 81.27%

Hi, I have a Acer desktop computer, it runs windows xp, and is a dual-core
it just started recently, where when it starts up it goes to a:

blank screen that say's ACER in the middle, and on the left bottom corner it says:
DEL. Enter setup F12

It stays like that forever, and will not move from that page. Even if I hit F12.
If I hold in the power button, to turn it off, and then turn it on, after acouple oftimes it will go through, and go to the normal desktop, nd runs normally.

Any idea's why i does this?

A:Help: Windows Xp Amd Athlon Dual-core Desktop Startup Problem

Have you made any changes recently?

Look in the Event Viewer and see what kind of errors are showing at these times.

Start> right click on My Computer> Manage> Event Viewer. When Event Viewer open double click on System. The columns are titled, in the column titled Type is where you will find the error symbol, it is a red dot with a white X in it. If you see one follow it across to the Event column where you will see the error code. If you right click on that and the properties a definition of the error will appear. Please post both the error codes and definitions for the first couple different errors.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/122927/help-windows-xp-amd-athlon-dual-core-desktop-startup-problem/
Relevancy 79.55%

I was wondering which one you guys would buy. I know there is a big debate over the new dual cores, so I am looking for the one that will be the best quality, and one that I can use for a while and not have to upgrade for sometime. Mind you, I will not be gaming, I am only looking for performance running many programs at the same time such as itunes, aim, word, outlook, etc, and encoding and dvd decrypting. Please give me your recommendations and why and let me know some good accompanying parts such as mobo, heatsink, ram etc. Thanks for your help

A:AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800 Socket 939 Dual Core or Intel Pentium D 940 Presler 800MHz FSB

If you won't be gaming, then the intel would probably be somewhat faster for your uses. They are pretty close in performance, but the amd is faster for gaming. You say you won't be gaming though, and the intel is cheaper, so go for it IMO.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/amd-athlon-64-x2-3800-socket-939-dual-core-or-intel-pentium-d-940-presler-800mhz-fsb.49263/
Relevancy 77.83%

Greetings Hoping someone can help with reformatting a Dell Inspiron GB RAM 64 Vista 3 Need reformatting Core GHz 1.9 help Dell Dual Premium... RAM; 250 x2 processor; Home Inspiron Athlon a GB 1721; HDD; GB GB HDD Athlon x Dual Core GHz processor Vista Home Premium bit OS Reformatted and clean install of Need help reformatting a Dell Inspiron 1721; 3 GB RAM; 250 GB HDD; Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core 1.9 GHz processor; Vista Home Premium... Vista months ago Afterward everything worked perfectly until a couple of Need help reformatting a Dell Inspiron 1721; 3 GB RAM; 250 GB HDD; Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core 1.9 GHz processor; Vista Home Premium... weeks ago After automatic updates installed Vista SP suddenly Windows Media Center which I've never used and am not at all familiar with and have no plans to learn it and use it in the future began opening by itself over and over Also a little window popped up on Need help reformatting a Dell Inspiron 1721; 3 GB RAM; 250 GB HDD; Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core 1.9 GHz processor; Vista Home Premium... boot up that said something to the effect that my new hardware needed intalled however I have not added any new hardware Have no idea what it was trying to install Also intermittently programs I'm using just exit out even though I have not pressed exit And the mouse intermittently jumps around by itself or won't respond to the touchpad - - it opens programs opens the start menu types gibberish into the 'Start Search' line closes programs opens browsers or browser tabs closes browser tabs etc etc etc Also sometimes an odd looking exit menu appears top left screen in a different resolution than the screen is set at AND sometimes when I'm working all of a sudden the keys won't type but the computer issues a loud beep every time a key is pressed When problems first started I immediately ran system restore No change Tried another date in system restore Still no change Went through all restore points and each time I got the message that the restore was successful however no change Ran CCleaner Ran AVG paid subscription found nothing Ran SuperAntiSpyware paid subscription found nothing Ran MalwaryBytes Anti-Malware paid subscription found nothing Ran Panda Online Scanner paid subscription it found a file that it said it couldn't disinfect the file name was Downloads HC VistaLogo Drv E Encoder x V Setup Silent exe - - tried to find it and delete it but couldn't locate it however similar file names were in the AverMedia folder Don't use AverMedia even though it came with the computer so I uninstalled it Ran Panda scan again and it found nothing this time Started googling and stopped all WMC services and removed every instance of it from startup Ran Trend Micro Housecall found nothing Problems kept escalating At times the computer started beeping very fast and refusing to respond to any commands Suddenly two or three browsers open very quickly all by themselves Periodically the start menu opens and the computer types gibberish that looks like computer speak into the start search command line When WMC opens by itself it preempts everything else so that nothing else works until it's closed out and often after closing it out other programs will not respond to any keyboard or touchpad commands until the unit is restarted Twice the computer has refused to disconnect from the wireless connection when I tried to disconnect Sometimes the space bar has to be pressed several times to work Shortcuts have to be right clicked then click 'open' because when a shortcut is pressed the properties dialog opens instead of the program Once on reboot instead of Vista opening it went to a black screen and quot Vista quot had to be chosen from a list before it would open and a couple of times the computer froze at that screen and wouldn't boot up - had to shut down manually and press F and chose the HDD option to get it to open THEN I uninstalled AVG and purchased AVG and installed and ran it - it's supposed to be better It found and removed se... Read more

A:Need help reformatting a Dell Inspiron 1721; 3 GB RAM; 250 GB HDD; Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core 1.9 GHz processor; Vista Home Premium...

Hi Sharon.

If your game then so am I.

All the things you stated sound like a possible infection or operating system corruption due to unknown reasons. Although none, or a questionable one, was found. I am in total agreement with Garmanma. Also the fact that the rootkit scan is disabled in AVG causes me some concern.

Seems you already have a pretty good idea how to format the drive and reinstall your OS and drivers....... But would like to take it one step further in this case though. I would like to have you wipe the entire hard drive to zeroes prior to formatting and installing the OS. This would include what is called the MBR = Master Boot Record, the partition the OS is on as well as the restore partition. Of course this would leave you only the option of reinstalling via the CD. All pre-installed software will be gone for good. Complete restore CDs are usually available from the OEM for a nominal cost.

The only reason I suggest this manner is, 1)The problems you are describing does somewhat resemble infection symptoms. 2)Depending on the possible infection type a simple reformat may not get rid of it. I have also read that it is possible for the restore partition can become infected as well.

The procedures are really pretty easy, the program(s) to wipe the drive to zeroes is free and we will do our best to get you through the whole procedure as painlessly as possible.

Let me know what you decide.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/268394/need-help-reformatting-a-dell-inspiron-1721;-3-gb-ram;-250-gb-hdd;-athlon-64-x2-dual-core-19-ghz-processor;-vista-home-premium-32-bit-os/
Relevancy 74.39%

I have a dinosaur computer with a first genration pci slot available for a video card. The video is wired to the board and it's an HP running Windows XP. Finding a video card has been extremely difficult - they're all pci express. I found a couple of old ones and plugged them in but the machine wouldn't boot or it booted and I got no video at all.

What I'm wondering is if there's some other geeky way I can set this up? Like a USB video adapter? I really need two monitors. The second one sits darkly on my desk - mocking me.

Hopefully I can put in for another computer soon, but until then I'm trying to make do.

Thanks

A:Dual Monitor Suggestions for DINO

Hard to say, you haven't posted the exact model of the computer you have. There's still some new PCI cards being sold these days, here's some examples: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709 600007853&IsNodeId=1&name=PCI
The Geforce 6200 generally works pretty well for systems of all ages. But post the model of the HP you have first.

Also for reference, your current graphics are what is called integrated or onboard graphics.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dual-monitor-suggestions-for-dino.1089487/
Relevancy 73.1%

im wondering if anyone has a had a problem with thier processor all of a suddong being a slower speed, i used to be running at about 2.21 GHz but now its always going a 632 MHz. anyone know why and how to fix this?

A:Athlon 64 x2 4200+ going at 632 MHz

what makes you think its running at 632Mhz?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/athlon-64-x2-4200-going-at-632-mhz.130805/
Relevancy 73.1%

Hi folks im new here so if this has been covered under an previous thread 4200 OC Athlon X2 an help my apologies Im trying to hold on to my ageing system a little OC an Athlon X2 4200 help longer until I see How AMD responds to the latest drubbing from intel before i start my enthusiast build anyway im replacing my single core amd Venice with an x toledo The mobo in this thing was proprioritized by Hp and and has no bios control for whatsoever for voltage My problem is that i want to OC this x to ghz or more if i can get it which is going to take a - v shot of juice as far as i can OC an Athlon X2 4200 help tell I software my fsb htt multis mem timings etc but im stuck on the voltage access anyone have any ideas on software or pinmod configs to get the voltage i need for this OC and anyone have any experience with the x Im running my athlon ghz ghz on stock voltage might I expect to get that at least out my x any help would be greatly appreciated asus A N-LA GB A-Data PC -dual channel athlon ghz bieng replaced with athlon x toledo ghz Zalman cu ati radeon nbsp

A:OC an Athlon X2 4200 help

Forget about overclocking the CPU and try to maximize the system RAM. I doubt if the lesser Asus motherboard will accept more than 2GB of system RAM.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/oc-an-athlon-x2-4200-help.112982/
Relevancy 72.67%

i am looking at an 400 dollar ACER computer with : AMD Athlon II X2 Dual-Core 255 Processor

Last time i bought a computer PEN4 was king. Dont laugh

Relevancy 72.67%

Hey all i m trying to overclock my athlon X my system specs are below GIGABYTE GA-K N Pro-SLI Socket NVIDIA nForce SLI Overclocking X2 64 athlon 4200 ATX AMD Motherboard MSI NX GTX-VT D E Lite Geforce GTX MB GDDR PCI Express x Video Card White Box - OEM AMD Athlon X Manchester GHz FSB Socket Dual Core Processor Model ADA BVBOX - Retail CORSAIR XMS GB x GB -Pin DDR SDRAM DDR PC Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model Twinx - c Creative Sound Blaster Audigy ZS SB Channels PCI Interface Sound Card also a generic hard drive I went into the bios and changed the front side bus from to rebooted and now i m running at instead of Then i went from to and the system hangs Do i need to add voltage to the ram to try and get it to boot do i need to add voltage to the cpu i m not sure what i need to do All i have ever used to overclock is the FSB as i ve heard it s the safest Thanks nbsp

A:Overclocking athlon 64 X2 4200

Take a look at this guide to ocing Athlon 64`s.

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Guides/athlon64oc/index.html

Regards Howard

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/overclocking-athlon-64-x2-4200.39775/
Relevancy 72.67%

how would you go about overclocking an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200 Dual Core Proccesor, if it can be done at all?the 4200 is only 2.2 ghz but with it being a dual core,would it make it a 4.4ghz, and if so,how does it play into overclocking?how does that dual core thing even work?

Relevancy 72.67%

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic74704.html- previous post

I built this computer about a month ago, and Yet again i put it aside because there was a problem...Everything is in and should be in working order but Nothing shows up on the monitor ive tryed 2 different Videocards (fx5500,7100gs) and neither worked, so then i decided to send back the Motherboard and processor to check for defects and nothing found So im left with this computer that seems to start up fine, no post beeps and nothing showing up on the monitor.Also theres no OS installed on it.

The monitor reads that its connected but nothing shows up at all.

Amd Athlon 4200 Dual Core Processor
Asus M2V motherboard
1gb Wintec PC4200
Chaintech 7100Gs
Sony 18x DVD writer
Western Digital 60gb

this time i tried changing the psu like suggested, though that didn't work, any other suggestions

A:Amd athlon 4200 problem

cmos chip could be bad. no cmos chip=no post

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/amd-athlon-4200-problem.79307/
Relevancy 71.81%

Right The infamous GiGabyte K N SLI Pro MoBo How frustrating this is I found the perfect combination of Ram Over Question? Athlon Clock 4200+ AMD timings and settings for this chip to get a really nice stable overclock yet the bios is a bummer HTT x I have gig of DDR ram in Dual Mode CPU set to Multiplyer set to x Ram multiplyer set to Now with this set up this should get a really superb group of settings with the HTT running x Mhz Ram Mhz Cpu GiG I adjusted the Voltage of the cpu to The ram I set to The HTT was left at current voltage as with these timings it is AMD Athlon 4200+ Over Clock Question? running as normal at the normal frequency Yet AMD Athlon 4200+ Over Clock Question? the bios will not allow what seems here to be a perfectly balanced overclock The only way that the settings will post is when I set the HTT to xtimings but that reduces the HTT fequency to Now although the computer runs well at these settings after a while playing a video game it will hang and get stuck in a sound loop I have tried downloading older Bios but It makes no difference and despite all of the settings in the bios being on manual settings it will not allow me to post a x multiplyer for the HTT link Is there anyone out there that knows how I can get this to set at cpu clock with the settings that I have listed nbsp

A:AMD Athlon 4200+ Over Clock Question?

More than one way to skin a cat!

Right sometimes you just have to try different things to and think differently to get a good overclock!

I have now got my machine running schweet @ 2520 Mhz..

I changed the frequency of the CPU to 280
I changed the multiplyer for the cpu to a 9x multiplyer giving 9x 280 = 2520
I changed the HTT multiplyer to 3x = 3x280x2 = HTT of 1680 Mhz
I adjusted the ram timings to 3 3 3 8 and they are running @ 420Mhz
This gives a data transfer rate of 6300gb/s during a read process (which is very nice on pc3200 ram.

The cpu voltage was raised from standard to 1.4volts

So far everything appears to stable as anything and under 100% load during sin julia testing etc the core temps peak @59'C which is great. Now all that I have to do is invest in a better cooling system and all will be well indeed..

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/amd-athlon-4200-over-clock-question.71249/
Relevancy 71.81%

Would someone be able to direct me to a site or list the memory speeds that an asus a8n-sli deluxe mobo teamed with an athlon 64 x2 4200 is compatible with. Someone in another post said they were using ddr500, can the dual cores handle faster ram than the athlon 64's? :chef:

A:Athlon 64 x2 4200+ Memory Compatibility

:wave: Hello & Welcome to TechSpot :wave:

If you go to Asus' site and search for the motherboard model, you'll find, surprise surprise, all the information about the motherboard, including what you're looking for.

But since I'm such a nice guy, you can just click here. But next time, check the manufacturers site for specs first...

To answer the second part of your question, it is no problem running with faster ram, it just reverts to a speed the motherboard can support...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/athlon-64-x2-4200-memory-compatibility.47960/
Relevancy 71.81%

im trying to overclock my

AMD Athlon x2 4200+ 939 socket

(dfi lanparty nf4 sli-dr) motherboard

Coolmaster V8 for a 'top hat'

any ideas, I have heard it is possible to run at 2.8 GHz

A:Overclocking my AMD Athlon x2 4200+ 939 socket

The 4200 is not a great OC'er. if you have the ability to change the voltage in your bios, you may be able to get 2.65 +/- @ 1.45v. 2.8 is the best case scenario and will probably take 1.55 Vcore to do it.....(although you have the cooler to try it)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/overclocking-my-amd-athlon-x2-4200-939-socket.148995/
Relevancy 70.95%

Hi ive just put a new MB CPU RAM video card into my old case The symptoms are that especially when doing an intense defrag of the partitions of the HDD the system freezes totally HDD activity completely stops and after a minute every thing goes blank AMD is not overclocked at all- totally at stock settings Also freezes when running dMark in Vista every thing stock Freezes when installing - GB big games Points to note Ram is not on 4200+ @stock Unstable X2 64 Athlon Settings recomended list - but am trying to get exchange from ebuyer com Ram speed Gb cheapest on ebuyer Messed Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Unstable @stock Settings about the hardware a bit as i couldnt initially power on system- solved by connecting extra pin power lead on MB However while trying to solve that problem complete cleaned of good quality pre appled thermal paste form AMD stock cooler and applied my own My own looks a very messy compared to pre applied paste Limited option of increasing CPU voltage in BIOS As i understand AMD stock voltage is v i think according to legitreviews ocing the amd I would like to increase to at least v maybe v BIOS is American Megatrends V -not updated How should i update this Have no floppy drive or USB flash drives Just ipods and CDR or DVDR How should i solve this problem Would also like to OC AMD if possible and VGA a bit more nbsp

A:Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Unstable @stock Settings

ok first do you have more than 1 harddrive and why the heck did you get vista??
second clean all the thermal paste off the cooler and what thermal paste do you have? hmm google for a program or a guide to OC it and to upgrade the bios go to the pcs manufactures site and look under downloads probably try the motherboards site

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/athlon-64-x2-4200-unstable-stock-settings.76703/
Relevancy 70.95%

Hi For the last couple athlon ? amd 4200+ motherboard 64X2 which Solved: of weeks Ive been looking at components for a first build and have hit one or two Solved: amd athlon 64X2 4200+ which motherboard ? questions about the best motherboard for an amd athlon x based system i use my current system for just about everything a little gaming video editing music recording amp production etc so far i have heard good things about asus asus an -sli deluxe in particular but i have also read about usb issues with this bards chip set and also that the max supported processor is the I also like the idea of the heat pipe passive cooling as any reduction in noise is geed when you record etc and have also looked at abit msi boards that also have this feature basically I m looking for a board that will has backward compatibility with ide for passably an optical and a hard rive for backup as i already have these but also with pcie I m not sure ill be using it but i would like sli compatibility on-board LAN as it spares a slot usb fire wire and is versatile with regard to future upgrades To be honest Ive just about reached a standstill where the mobo is concerned and could do with some good advise please i haven t yet firmly decided on all the components but below is a list of the components I m considering Athlon x X gigabyte GV-NX T V-B nVIDIA BASED GIG of PC ddr crucial ram mobo Hd Weston digital gig also looking into two gig in raid config monitor poss vewsonic quot or ms or high quality CRT for video editing nbsp

Relevancy 70.95%

I have Windows XP Pro, SP2. (Not that it matters for this question.)

I have an AMD Athlon 64 bit dual core, #4200 CPU. Can somebody please tell me what is the highest temperature this chip can run at? What I really want to know is the lowest temperature that will cause damage to this chip.

Please say whether the temperature is stated in Celsius or Fahrenheit.

Thanks,

royeo

A:What is the temperature at which an Athlon 64x2, #4200 will be damaged

This is a strange question.......
I assume you are going to do some overclocking....

Once you get up around 80C you might start to see some problems....shutdowns...ect......

If you are going to overclock then get a water cooled setup....

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/what-is-the-temperature-at-which-an-athlon-64x2-4200-will-be-damaged.578357/
Relevancy 70.95%

Hi guys somewhat new to the site I m looking to overclock my system a bit further so I can hold off on upgrading for a while Current setup AMD Athlon X ghz Abit K N mobo Came with a Athlon single-core Gig corsair ram and gig of (already mildly Athlon 4200 X2 AMD overclocked) overclocking an Further some other ram got this from my dad have specs from CPU-Z All the modules are PC mhz Graphics card is an ATi HD overclocked to Cor memory According to Catalyst Control s Overdrive - this was the Further overclocking an AMD Athlon X2 4200 (already mildly overclocked) maximum stable setting for the card but still a big step up Further overclocking an AMD Athlon X2 4200 (already mildly overclocked) from my old X Ice-Q At my current Overclock settings The CPU is currently Multiplier X Bus HT Core voltage is As far as cooling goes can t remember what the brand was I built this computer back in or but It s basically got a gigantic copper heatsink fan which should be pretty decent for cooling Now my goal is if possible to push this system up to ghz Like I said if possible I m currently looking through a few threads posts and am going to try it on my own but if anyone has any advice to offer or has a similar system they OC d it d help a bunch Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Further overclocking an AMD Athlon X2 4200 (already mildly overclocked)

You have you CPU right where most of the 4200's OC'ed too before needing considerable bump in voltage to go higher. again this is was the common characteristic for most of that silicon. Here is a guide to OC'ing the 4200 if you want to give it a shot at going higher.
http://www.anandtech.com/print/1718

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/further-overclocking-an-amd-athlon-x2-4200-already-mildly-overclocked.159708/
Relevancy 70.09%

I am torn between buying one of two Acer laptops Both have almost identical features--RAM HD webcam -cell battery memory card reader and are the same price-- on sale but the processors seem to be the big difference and I would like to know which one you folks feel I should go with I should also mention that the AMD laptop Intel P520 2.3 AMD Pentium Dual-Core dual-core or GHz GHz? 2.0 X2 P6100 Turion also has a Blue-Ray Disc drive and read writes normal CDs and DVDs The only other major difference when comparing specs is that the AMD laptop has an HD CineCrystal LED-backlit TFT widescreen display ATI Radeon HD graphics with MB of dedicated system memory supporting Unified Video Decoder UVD OpenEXR High Dynamic-Range HDR technology Shader Model Microsoft DirectX While the Pentium laptop has CineCrystal LED-backlit display Intel HD graphics with MB of dedicated system memory supporting Microsoft DirectX I ve been driving myself crazy for the past days trying to decide which one to go with and I need to decide quickly as I AMD Turion X2 dual-core P520 2.3 GHz or Intel Pentium Dual-Core P6100 2.0 GHz? m not sure how long they will be at this sale price--and I do have to stay at the range From the many laptops I checked out these seem to offer the most for the money I would truly appreciate your advice Thanks Gina nbsp

A:AMD Turion X2 dual-core P520 2.3 GHz or Intel Pentium Dual-Core P6100 2.0 GHz?

Confused

I'm sorry to bother you folks again, but I noticed that my question had 55 views but no replies. Did I perhaps give incorrect or confusing information, or maybe posted my question in the wrong forum? I tried looking at some of the other similar questions asked, but none seemed to help with my question.

I guess I'm basically wondering that since the 2 Acer laptops are the same price, would you go with the Intel Pentium Dual-Core P6100, 2.0GHz, 3MB L3 cache, or the AMD Turion X2 dual-core P520, 2.3 GHz, 1066MHz Front Side Bus, 2MB L2 cache. This laptop also has a Blu-Ray Disc Drive, but I've read conflicting opinions on whether having this is necessary or not.

Although I consider myself to be an intermediate computer user, I am lost when it comes to processors, and also when it comes to 'dedicated amount of system memory.' I know that 'dedicated' memory is better, but does it make a difference how much there is in different brands? In other words, could the lesser amount of 128MB 'dedicated' in the Pentium still be better than the 256MB in the AMD? I'm leaning toward the AMD Turion laptop because of the higher numbers, but I've read enough to know that you can't always rely on that alone.

I'm sorry to ask my question again, but I've been given a lot of help here at CNET in the past, so I was surprised when I logged on today to see that no one expressed an opinion on which one of the two they would buy.

Any assistance would really be helpful and appreciated.....Gina

GinaPA said:

I am torn between buying one of two Acer laptops. Both have almost identical features--RAM, HD, webcam, 6-cell battery, memory card reader, and are the same price--$499.00 (on sale); but the processors seem to be the big difference, and I would like to know which one you folks feel I should go with.

I should also mention that the AMD laptop also has a Blue-Ray Disc drive (and read/writes normal CDs and DVDs).

The only other major difference when comparing specs is that the AMD laptop has an HD CineCrystal LED-backlit TFT widescreen display, ATI Radeon HD 4250 graphics with 256MB of dedicated system memory, supporting Unified Video Decoder 2 (UVD2), OpenEXR High Dynamic-Range (HDR) technology, Shader Model 4.0, Microsoft DirectX 10.1
.........While the Pentium laptop has CineCrystal LED-backlit display, Intel HD graphics with 128 MB of dedicated system memory, supporting Microsoft DirectX 10.

I've been driving myself crazy for the past 3 days trying to decide which one to go with and I need to decide quickly as I'm not sure how long they will be at this sale price--and I do have to stay at the $500.00 range. From the many laptops I checked out, these 2 seem to offer the most for the money. I would truly appreciate your advice!

Thanks,
GinaClick to expand...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/amd-turion-x2-dual-core-p520-2-3-ghz-or-intel-pentium-dual-core-p6100-2-0-ghz.160065/
Relevancy 70.09%

I have got a Supermicro X5DA8 mainboard with two Xeon 2.8 GHz processors.
Would two of those processors
Intel Xeon CPU Processor 3.2 GHz 533 MHz
1MB 604 SL72Y as offered on ebay
Intel Xeon CPU Processor 3 2 GHz 533 MHz 1MB 604 SL72Y | eBay
work with my
mainboard?
Super Micro Computer, Inc. - Products | Motherboards | Xeon Boards | X5DA8

A:Xeon Dual Core 2.8GHz, can I easily upgrade to Dual Core 3.2GHz ?

Super Micro has no CPU support list that I could find for this board, nor in the manual. It may take a call or email to them to find out for sure.
I would be careful buying such used item from an eBay seller, check their return policies and reviews first.

Overall, from what little info I could find, it seems the 3,2GHz Xeons will work, but just a guess.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/289796-xeon-dual-core-2-8ghz-can-i-easily-upgrade-dual-core-3-2ghz.html
Relevancy 69.23%

Hi there,
I was thinking of upgrading my processor because I believe it is bottle necking my gaming performance. My current computer is composed of an AMD Athlon X2 4200+, 2.2GHz, Nvidia 9600GT 512MB video card, 2 Gigs Dell Ram, 250GB HD, Antec True Power Trio TP3-650 650W ATX12V Power Supply with Three 12V Rails. I was thinking of upgrading to a 5400+ or even a 6000+, but I'm not sure if it's compatible with my motherboard or w/e. If anyone could help me with this, I'd greatly appreciate it. Here is the info from CPU-Z in .htm format.

A:Upgrading my processor (Dell E521, AMD Athlon x2 4200+, 2.2Ghz)

If the dell BIOS allows it, the 5400 would be safest to upgrade to. 6000 and higher and you'll risk blowing up the board. The difference is 2.8 vs 3.0ghz.

I don't think a 600Mhz upgrade will help much. But here is a chart with Quake4: http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/...,1254,1226,1280,1316,1313,1312,1284,1310,1309

Going from 81fps to 95fps. Dell RAM is usually 533 or 667Mhz RAM, if its 533, going to 800Mhz would help a bit. A 9600GT is a fine card... going to a $160 ATI 4850 card would be a bit of a boost, that is faster than the old $600 8800GTX.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/upgrading-my-processor-dell-e521-amd-athlon-x2-4200-2-2ghz.737424/
Relevancy 67.94%

Hi, i want to overclock my Athlon 64....which i heard are made to be overclocked. Can someone tell me what to look for in my CPU MONITOR that this motherboard came with? My CPU right now is set at 200...what's the max for my CPU (ATHLON 64 3000+)? What do I closely monitor...the temp and the voltage as i slowly raise the frequency?

Relevancy 67.94%

Hi, i'm new to overclocking so can someone help me overclock my system please, i just need to know what to change the units to or if someone can prepare a tutorial for me that would be great!

A:How to overclock AMD Athlon ii x4 645

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263753http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phenom-overclock-athlon,2161.htmlWhen you are done run IntelBurnTest to check for stability. Also be sure you understand that overclocking voids your warranty.

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,124140.0.html
Relevancy 67.94%

I used SpeedFan and overclocked the FSB on an old Athlon XP 2800+ in my D325 workstation. It was rated at 2.08GHz and it is now at approximately 2.313GHz. Any other suggestions on how to increase it any more? The FSB reached its limit at 185MHz before the PC locks up and the multiplier is at the max of 12.5. I have vista Home Premium x86 on it and it runs great.

Just and FYI...by increasing the CPU clock the WEI went from 3.5 for the CPU up to 3.8.

Thanks in advance and I understand if I can't get any more out of it.

A:Athlon XP Overclock

Hello Blackhawk7188,
Have you tried increasing the CPU voltage ?, this may make it a bit more stable.
Increase in very small increments and check the temp at each increase.
Give it a try and post your results, good luck.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/261444-athlon-xp-overclock.html
Relevancy 67.08%

i really need to figure this out because when my pc boots up it says my athlon is 1050mhz. well, last week it said 1600+ its a 1.6 or 1.7 athlon and this is really bothering me.

Relevancy 67.08%

Can anyone tell me if i can overclock on my setup? I can adjust the CPU,AGP,DDR and NB voltages on my motherboard. I know that the multiplier is locked on my CPU, but someone mentioned a socket hack to get around that. I've never overclocked and this is my first build so i'm trying to learn this stuff. Is this to risky with this setup or do i need any different hardware? If i can how much performance increase can i get? Thanks for any advise.
AMD ATHLON XP 3200 400FSB
ABIT KV7 motherboard
XFX GeForce 5500 video card
OCZ400512ELPE memory
LITE-ON CDRW
ALPS floppy
ZALMAN CNPS 7000-AlCu CPU cooler
ZALMAN ZM-NB47J northbridge heatsink
ANTEC SUPER LANBOY case
ANTEC SL400 power supply

Relevancy 67.08%

puke: Hi, I hope someone can help me, I have an Asrock K7S8X mobo, AMD Athlon XP 2600+, 1 Gb of Ram (PC 2700 , DDR333), and a Geforce fx 5700 le graphics card. I wanted to know if i can overclock the CPU, at present the processor speed in the bios reads, 2083 mhz. CPU host frequency is 166 Mhz and the Dram frequency is set on auto. It can be set to different speeds eg. ddr333 (133 mhz). Any ideas to set me in the right direction, i have overclocked my graphics card using NVIDIA Coolbits, to a speed of 306mhz/514mhz, runs half life 2 like a dream!

A:Amd Athlon Xp 2600+ Overclock?

The processors multiplier is probably locked but you can bump up the CPU frequency to 400. Most 2500 and 2600's will run that high which will give you an XP 3200. I did it with no problems and no increase in heat. You may also be able to get the RAM up that high too. But check it for heat. If the RAM does run at 400 you may need to put heat spreaders on it. Ive always been able to get 266 RAM to run at 333. You might also want to put RAM heatsinks on the video card RAM . Good luck.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/amd-athlon-xp-2600-overclock.17356/
Relevancy 67.08%

Hi all I recently built my new computer and have been trying to overclock my AMD Athlon x CPU Not Black Edition But for some reason it wont overclock very 7750 overclock won't far Athlon X2 very far at all I cant even get it to ghz before the overclock fails and the bios resets the settings back to default Ive been reading online that this CPU can Athlon X2 7750 won't overclock very far easily reach Ghz on Athlon X2 7750 won't overclock very far air without any voltage adjustment I have an Asus M N -AM PLUS Motherboard a GB of Corsair XMS DDR - Memory I hear that this motherboard can overclock reasonably well and i know the ram can go a long way but i still cannot reach past even Ghz even if i adjust the voltage to Athlon X2 7750 won't overclock very far the cpu ram or chipset Does anyone know whats up with this I would really like to overclock my CPU to Ghz This is a full list of my systems specs Motherboard Asus M n -AM Plus RAM Corsair XMS DDR - Video Intergrated GeForce Graphics Upgrading to a cheap gt soon PSU Thermaltake watt PSU I know the gt is a very bad video card but at least its far better then what ive got Anyway any help would be much appreciated Thanks Nissanman nbsp

A:Athlon X2 7750 won't overclock very far

Hi Nissanman,
Unfortunately I can tell you why that is. i own a 7750 but mine is the BE. I had mine (before i replaced it) OC'ed to 3.4 by using the unlocked multi, the non BE versions however do not like to have their ref clock moved very far at all. if you are getting 2.95 you are doing very well for a non BE version. many non BE 7750 owners cant get their FSB past 208. it looks as if you have yours up to 222Mhz

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/athlon-x2-7750-wont-overclock-very-far.131834/
Relevancy 67.08%

hi there!
could anybody help me please!
i like to overclock my cpu,but i need some step by step instructions.
would be very nice if somebody could help me please!
thanks
oliver

Relevancy 67.08%

Now I m trying to get some more performance out of my CPU since it s getting somewhat old now and I think it might help I really 5000+ Please help me Athlon X2 overclock my don t know how to explain my motherboard specs but I ll try The manufacturer is nVidia The model is NF-MCP The chipset - nVidia GeForce Southbridge - nVidia nForce a I also know that there s Biostar somewhere there since their Please help me overclock my Athlon X2 5000+ logo is shown on boot up As for BIOS it s brand is Pheonix Technologies LTG Version PG The other reason I wanted to Please help me overclock my Athlon X2 5000+ overclock is because I have the black edition of the CPU that supposedly has an unlocked multiplier so why not take advantage of that The problem is I don t know how to modify that multiplier In BIOS there s only an option to up the CPU voltage by or percent and up the CPU clock but I think that s actually the FSB clock I didn t fiddle with the voltage but I did try changing the clock The accepted range is - with being the default but when I tried setting it to there was an error on bootup and I had to reset it With some trial and error I found out that the highest setting allowed is which ups the clock of my CPU core from to ghz Unfortunately even though the stability test passed the PC froze up after a short time playing a game Naturally I m a bit saddened by this but I figured I d still ask for advice since there are surely more options to explore I d also like to try software overclocking I m running Win bit and all the software I tried failed to work AMD overdrive wouldn t start since the motherboard isn t theirs nTune only allows me to test the stability the options for overclocking are simply gone ClockGen is also missing the sliders to control the clock Is there anything else that I could try nbsp

Relevancy 67.08%

My first time to overclock I have read all the warnings realize there is a chance that I may end up with a fried cpu and yet find myself wanting to do it anyways Part of me hesitates to even ask questions about overclocking 2500+ overclock Athlon as the general mood of what I have read in this forum is how shall I say aggresive when it comes to responding to people like me giddy The ones who know so little about OCing Athlon 2500+ overclock yet dare to go on First question is the risk ONLY to the CPU I figure if I burn it I will just buy an Athalon XP Wrong Am I risking more than just my CPU My mobo is the Asus A V I know Athlon 2500+ overclock it is not the best OCing board but not too bad from the research I have done Yes I have been researching as much as I can on this before I dive on in My memory is PC Mhz sticks of Mb I have the Volcano coming in the mail this week to stick on the cpu and cool it off I will have more questions to those who are willing to walk me through this if there Athlon 2500+ overclock is such a person in here I figure I am going to take it nice and slow Tweaking the settings in very minimal increases over the next few weeks nbsp

A:Athlon 2500+ overclock

DonNagual said:

First question, is the risk ONLY to the CPU? I figure if I burn it, I will just buy an Athalon XP 3200. Wrong? Am I risking more than just my CPU?Click to expand...

Any overclocking can damage more than just the component being overclocked. There is always a risk, that the additional stress of overclocking can break something, particularly when o/cing the cpu, where you may need to up the voltage.

As for actually overclocking an athlon 2500+, all you should have to do is increase the FSB to 200Mhz (400Mhz DDR), and if you are lucky it will boot up as a 3200+. If it doesn't boot up then you will have to clear the CMOS, and will need to increase the voltage (from 1.65 Standard) to 1.7 or 1.75.

I wouldn't recommend increasing the voltage much higher, as more voltage = more heat. Some 2500s work fine as 3200s, but others like the one I have tried don't like it, even when running nice and cool (~45C under load) with 1.75V, I could not get it stable, it would run 3dmark fine, but crash under doom3 etc.

As always Your Mileage May Vary.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/athlon-2500-overclock.16278/
Relevancy 66.65%

Ok so I just recently finished a build and I am having problems with the compatibility of the 3.3ghz quad-core Solved: fx 4200 processor and the mobo I have an ASUS M A L-M LX plus mobo updated to the latest bios version gb ram EVGA Nvidia geforce graphics and was originally running an AMD Sempron ghz processor I upgraded the processor Solved: fx 4200 3.3ghz quad-core to the AMD FX ghz quad-core but for some reason it can t handle it When I run the OS windows I get the dreaded blue screen and the system restarts and it starts all over again and I get stuck in this loop When I replaced the FX processor with the original Sempron everything will run smooth and there are no problems no blue screen and no restart I have tried a clean install of windows but nothing seems to help Everything I have researched says this mobo can handle the fx processor but every time I get the blue screen and a quot critical-process-died quot warning I m now very confused about this and any light you can shed on this will be appreciated I have also tried searching other forums and even the ASUS support forums to no avail nbsp

Relevancy 66.65%

I Would Like To Oc This Processor For Him And I Was Wondering How To Go About This And How Far To Go. Also Is This Cpu Any Good? I Use Intel So I Am Not Familiar

A:I Want To Overclock A Friends Amd Athlon 1.15ghz

Give us some information and we can help you out.
You'll need to know:

1) The motherboard being used
2) The FSB being used on the processor
3) The rated clock speed, voltage and core of the processor
4) The speed of RAM being used
5) The average temperature of the processor currently
6) What type of cooling is being used / is available

Read the sticki'ed topics in the Cooling and Modding forum and this one, especially this thread:

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic9388.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-want-to-overclock-a-friends-amd-athlon-1-15ghz.29183/
Relevancy 66.65%

The title pretty much says it all.

Here are my specs: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1808734

A:How to safely overclock an AMD Athlon II X2 240 processor

Amd makes a really nifty, comprehensive piece of performance software called AOD. It can be had here:
http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/amd-overdrive/Pages/overview.aspx
Most x2 2xx models will OC to between 3.5-3.8Ghz depending on the motherboard you are using. You should list the rest of your components so we know what we are dealing with, including the PSU you are using. assuming you have quality components, you have the advantage of many others OC'ing this model before you. using AOD is nice as you can shorten the time to OC before making the final stable settings semi permanent in the bios if you choose, or setup an OC profile in AOD to use only during intense operations or gaming if you like. If you want, you can jump right to a setting of 3.4Ghz by raising the HT ref to 242 and the V-core to 1.475 and running the built in stability test for 15 minutes. from there raise the HT ref by 5-10 Mhz and run the stability test until it breaks. You can then raise the Vcore in intervals of .025-.05 until stable. Remember your CPU has a locked multiplier so you will be OC'ing the whole system when you raise the HT ref clock (memory,Northbridge, etc) you may want to drop the HT/NB/CPU multiplier back while you find the maximum OC to eliminate it as a possible limiting factor. a couple things to keep in mind...

1) watch temperatures. Its a REALLY good idea to have after-market cooling (heatsink/Fan) while OC'ing
2) make sure you have adequate PSU, both in capacity and quality.
3) the maximum Vcore for this generation of CPU's is 1.55v, better yet, stay at or under 1.5v -1.525v
4) with very good cooling (and if you want to push up over 1.5 V) you may get over 4.0Ghz.

Here is TechPowerup's Oc of an x2 240, you can get an idea of the settings they used to get 3.8Ghz OC (typical OC for this CPU if you have decent MB,PSU etc)

Here is a look at the control screen of the AOD

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-safely-overclock-an-amd-athlon-ii-x2-240-processor.165156/
Relevancy 66.65%

Ok heres my question I have those 2 CPU's, can you tell me which is better for overclocking
I have read some topic on this forum so I decided to overclock one of those CPU

my specs
GPU Name NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
4GB RAM
CPU those 2 up wich want to clock
sorry if need something more tell me im new in this

A:Should I overclock AMD Athlon x2 240 and AMD Phenom x3 8450

Both are quite weak. Get a more modern CPU and dont bother overclocking it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/should-i-overclock-amd-athlon-x2-240-and-amd-phenom-x3-8450.197705/
Relevancy 66.65%

Pretty self explanatory...tower specs are in my sig.

A:Can I overclock my Athlon XP 3000+ processor?

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20030210/index.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can-i-overclock-my-athlon-xp-3000-processor.414392/
Relevancy 65.79%

hey, i have a problem with my comp when i attemp to overclock it.
I have the X2 5600+, and the ASUS M2N-E m/b, with 4x 1Gb OCZ dual channel DDR2 ram.
trying to overclock from the bios never works, as once windows boots up(usually wont even boot up after you leave bios till you manually restart it), the cpu speed is always back at 2.81GHz.
also using the ASUS tool, allowing overclocking from inside windows doesnt work either, as soon as i attempt the update, either a minute or two later, it resets the clock speed, or the computer will just lock up, and when i restart it, the clock speed will be back to normal.
any ideas as to why this might be happening?

Thanks,
Kevin

A:AMD Athlon 64X2 5600+ Overclock problems

How much are you trying to increase the speed and do you increase the memory speed at the same time?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/amd-athlon-64x2-5600-overclock-problems.94118/
Relevancy 65.79%

to you "professional" overclockers of amd systems, i have athlon 64x2 5400+ black edition. my question is this: is running prime95 a "true" test of system stability? i ran the program for two hours without a hitch, but my system just doesn't seem to run smooth--no errors, lockups, or bsod's--it just doesn't seem to run smooth... i can't explain it in any other way.

stock speed 2.8ghz
oc'd speed 3.3 ghz
so, i upped my core voltage to 1.5
upped the dram voltage to 2.0
increased the multiplier to 16.5
backed the ht link to 800mhz (leaving @ 1ghz produces bsod or random reboots)
backed the dram timing to ddr2 667 (leaving @ ddr2 800 produces bsod or random reboots)
i have good temp readings (screenshot is idle; however, running prime95, kept stable temp of 49c)

is there any other setting i should be giving consideration to or that i'm missing althogeter?

thanks in advance for any help, info, or advice

marv

A:athlon black edition stable overclock

I have an intel cpu (see my specs) so this may not be great for amd but this is what i would do.

As your rams rated for 800mhz id raise the fsb to as close to 400 as i could get i get with the multiplier for the cpu as low as it;ll go to get a ratio of 1:1. Ideally your looking for a fsb of 400 with a cpu multiplier of 8 but i dont know if thats possible with your setup.

My fsb is set to 500 so:

Cpu is 500x6=3000mhz
RAM= 500x2=1000mhz
ratio 1:1

Oh and i dont know what voltages amd take but my intel cpu is set to 1.2volts so your 1.5volts seems high.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/216339-athlon-black-edition-stable-overclock.html
Relevancy 64.93%

hi, i have an Athlon XP 2200+ processor and km400-8235 Mobo.
how can i overclock to get the safest maximum power? is it worth doing?
how much Ghz. should i be getiing out of my processor?
any answers comments or questions asked will be greatly appreciated.........thanks

A:Athlon xp 2200+ km400-8235 mobo overclock?

There is no "do this in this order answer" to your question.
Every system will will react differently when overclocking, even systems
with the same components.
The best thing you can do is read, research, and read some more.

This is a site that has a ton of info for anyone looking to overclock.
Overclockers Forums
The people there are very nice and willing to help.
But do some reading first so you are informed of the hazzards of overclocking.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/athlon-xp-2200-km400-8235-mobo-overclock.275985/
Relevancy 64.5%

newly built system Motherboard Biostar TF A CPU AMD Athlon X brisbane RAM G-skill DDR mhz GBx PC- here are the CPU specs Name Athlon X dual core Operating Frequency GHz Hyper Transports MHz L Cache KB KB L Cache x KB Manufacturing Tech nm bit Support Yes Hyper-Transport Support Yes Virtualization Technology Support Yes Multimedia Instruction MMX SSE SSE SSE DNOW Professional Voltage V V Thermal Power W My first problem is this - I installed one gb stick and went to test out some settings The HIGHEST clock with X2 for Athlon CPU an 5600+ AMD 1000mhz DDR2 mem settings (Brisbane) Overclock 64 it allows me to Overclock settings for an AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ (Brisbane) CPU with DDR2 1000mhz mem put the memory is mhz even Overclock settings for an AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ (Brisbane) CPU with DDR2 1000mhz mem though this is mhz memory The CPU is set at mhz x THe multiplier can be lowered but not raised and the FSB can be changed Right now the current settings are mhzx and cpu-z is showing my memory as mhz I can t understand why I can t raise above mhz in the BIOS In the manual it says the motherboard supports DDR and by AM cpu Is this not an AM cpu What is the ideal setting I should put for the multiplier FSB HTT and memory to give the best performance Second issue is that this board has on-board video but only Overclock settings for an AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ (Brisbane) CPU with DDR2 1000mhz mem lets me select mb for IGPU buffer size quot in the BIOS I guess I can t go to Sorry but I am new to AMD s new CPU line-up Thanks nbsp

A:Overclock settings for an AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ (Brisbane) CPU with DDR2 1000mhz mem

I think I now see that my cpu is AM2, not AM2+ and thus the highest memory supported is DDR2-800 (400mhz). Should I lower the multiplier and raise the FSB? I heard odd multipliers (its on 14.5 now) are not good. Is this true?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/overclock-settings-for-an-amd-athlon-64-x2-5600-brisbane-cpu-with-ddr2-1000mhz-mem.755848/
Relevancy 64.07%

On the dell website for desktop PC 9150. it has the option of Intel ViiV 940 Pentium D with Dual Core and Intel Pentium D with Dual Core 940. Which one is better?
They are both the same price.

A:ViiV Dual Core or Pentium D 940 Dual Core?

No real difference I wouldn't have thought, except maybe the software package?

"Viiv" is pretty much just another platform marketing concept by Intel (like Centrino), this time based around media oriented PCs.
(Like most marketing) it's an entirely pointless exercise as far as I understand it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/viiv-dual-core-or-pentium-d-940-dual-core.484412/
Relevancy 63.64%

I currently have my 920 up to 3.2 ghz...

I'm Idling around 49-50 Celsius

I'm using a cooler master v8 and the fan is currently on max?
Why are my temps so high? : (

Is this normal? Did I overclock wrong? (All I did is raise the BLC Frequency)

Also, when I take my cover of my antec 1200 and touch the heat sink it feels "warm" Not hot...

I'm also pretty confident I installed the thermal grease correctly...

Relevancy 63.64%

Hi Dual i3-4005U A4-5000 AMD Core" Core "Quad Intel vs Core guys I've been looking at laptops they are basically identical but one has an Intel Core i - U mobile processor and GB of RAM and the other one has an AMD A - mobile processor and GB RAM The guy at the store and a couple other people I know told me that the Core i is better than the A as the AMD quot Quad Core quot processors aren't very good AMD A4-5000 "Quad Core" vs Intel Core i3-4005U Dual Core so even though the Intel i is only dual core it will be better than the quad core AMD The other question is the RAM Is GB that much better than GB or will GB be fine for basic use That's all this laptop is for Basic use and touch apps since it will be touchscreen The AMD laptop is this one Buy the HP Pavilion Notebook - AMD A GB at TigerDirect ca And the Intel here Buy the HP TouchSmart Notebook PC - F W UA ABL at TigerDirect ca Last question what the hell is DDR L All the new laptops have it nowadays Is it backward compatible with normal DDR laptop RAM Meaning can I take a normal laptop DDR GB stick out of my dads laptop and put it into the GB i laptop if thats the one i'm gonna get Or does the DDR quot L quot part cause issues Thanks Edit Sorry i'm not sure if this is the right place for this thread If it isn't mods could you please move it Thanks

A:AMD A4-5000 "Quad Core" vs Intel Core i3-4005U Dual Core

Hmm, I guess you should read some reviews. But just from the specs the AMD has 6 GB ram instead of 4. Has a DVD burner where the Intel shows no optical drive. It only has W8 8.0 where the Intel has 8.1. But some people may prefer 8.0.

Read reviews. See how each performs. If you don't wish to use it to burn DVD then the optical drive, or lack thereof may not matter to you.

Edit: Oh, and the AMD is about $80 cheaper.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/43107-amd-a4-5000-quad-core-vs-intel-core-i3-4005u-dual-core.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Hi 2 Core duo overclock e6300 I ve got a e and I Core 2 duo e6300 overclock m looking to overclock it only mildly Core 2 duo e6300 overclock at least up to the same performance as a What i need to know is how do i actually do it really i dont know where to start I saw ghz is pretty straightforward in a system with almost identical components in a web-review I built my own pc with later overclocking in mind and I feel the processor is unable to cut it as much as the graphics card Leadtek gt thought they would make a good match but in stock form the cpu is holding the gpu back a bit medieval can t handle any shadows whatsoever amp grass density has to be chopped by too much in the ini in my mind in oblivion For those interested gt would be better suited to a in standard form than an e out of the box ASUS P B Deluxe WiFi-AP iP Intel Core Duo E Gb Samsung SP C SpinPoint P Mb Leadtek GT PCI-E x Gb X Mb CorsairTwinX XMS DDr nd cheapest on website W Tagan TG -U Dual Engine SL LiteOn AllWrite SHM- P S- Black Samsung SM BW quot Widescreen LCD ms Gorgeous CHEAP monitor Standard heatsink and fan phong case degrees celsius average case temp with fans at low Need help in regards to fsb speeds memory speeds amp timings etc and just what i have to do Many thanks nbsp

A:Core 2 duo e6300 overclock

What made you suggest the CPU being the factor in your gaming woes?

the 7600 gt is a mid-low performance card these days, compared to the 8800 giants. Besides, when it comes to rendering all those things mentioned, its done by the GPU. CPU deals mainly with the AI, and some other stuff which I should know about (but I can't remember )

I don't really like the idea of me promoting my own thread, but here goes:
http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic70998.html
Bring your overclocking questions there, I've put some time in writing that, and I want to improve it furthur. Besides, overclocking really belongs in the cooling forum.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/core-2-duo-e6300-overclock.72204/
Relevancy 62.78%

I don t know if this question has been answered here or not because the words are a little difficult to do specific searches for I am thinking of making for myself a file server It s going to be cheap because it s main purpose is the processing of files from a centralized location As such I know I want processing power but I know I don t need a Core As such I m sticking with a Pentium Solved: and dual-core Dual-Core with between Pentium Difference features Pentium I got the choice narrowed down to a Pentium Dual-Core But as I was researching the Pentium I found out that the Dual-Core was re-branded to just a Pentium with dual-core features My main question is is there a difference Solved: Difference between Pentium Dual-Core and Pentium with dual-core features between the Pentium Dual-Core and the Pentium with dual-core Solved: Difference between Pentium Dual-Core and Pentium with dual-core features features I m choosing between an ASUS P G C-M LX and a P KPL-AM EPU I wouldn t have gotten confused except that I m buying these off of NewEgg and one motherboard has the Dual-Core capitalized while the other has the dual-core in lower cased letters nbsp

A:Solved: Difference between Pentium Dual-Core and Pentium with dual-core features

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-difference-between-pentium-dual-core-and-pentium-with-dual-core-features.944311/
Relevancy 62.35%

How do I tell which core Athlon 64s have just by looking at the die? I want to get a Venice core for my 939 Athlon64 3200 so are there any markings on the die that show that it is venice or winchester?

A:How to Tell Which Core Athlon 64s Have

go to AMD's website. The serial numbers wil indicate the die.

here's some useful info:

http://fab51.com/cpu/guide/opn-64-e.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-tell-which-core-athlon-64s-have.56784/
Relevancy 62.35%

What is the best core for the Athlon 64? How does the venice core stack up to the other cores? Reason why I am asking this is because I have a 3200+ Venice core processor and my friend has a 3200+ Winchester. We want to know which one is better.

Thank guys.

Relevancy 62.35%

Hi, Currently I'm using a dual core 6850 and I'm thinking about buying a quad core. I have a PSU of 500 W as spare.

Can i replace the CPU to a Quad Core without changing the cooling system?

A:replace dual core CPU by quad core what about heatsink? in Mini Tower 755 Optiplex

heinflhs
These are the specs of the spare PSU. Aren't they better than the original Dell PSU?
That power supply is ATX and not EPS12V
Better is not the issue.  Dell power supplys are 80 percent efficient not 70 percent ATX.  The -5v rail is an issue as well as this may cause a motherboard fire or damage your system.  Its a dead giveaway that this is a power supply from 1990 to 2000.
What current is on which rails is not trivial. There is a single 12V RAIL on that unit and its max is 17A
EPS 12V units have multiple rails of 12V @ 18 amps each.  MAX Power on the 12V rails is 264w not 204w
That unit has a lot more on the 5V and 3.3V rails at the expense of the 12V rails and CPU 4 pin connector. So no that spare unit is not likely to work well if at all.

Recommended update or replacement is EVGA 750B1

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19996406
Relevancy 62.35%

Hi,

I'm buying a new computer with Vista home premium (32 bit), and I can't decide whether I should get a 2.4 quad core or a faster dual core (since it's cheaper).

I've searched about this but all the results I've got were from 2007, so I'm not sure if things changed much now.

So what do you think? will I benefit from the additional cores? or shall I go with faster dual cores?
appreciate your help

Relevancy 62.35%

so which would be better:

dual core celeron 1.73ghz with 1mb l2 cache or single core intel pentium 4 2.4ghz 512kb l2 cache

A:dual core celeron 1.73ghz versus single core pentium 4 2.4ghz

I don't think there are any Celeron Processors which are dual core and so the Pentium 4 will definitely be faster. If you give me model numbers I might be of more help.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dual-core-celeron-1-73ghz-versus-single-core-pentium-4-2-4ghz.623465/
Relevancy 62.35%

Already saw differents answer but never by the one guy that say.. "Yes, i already upgrade my dual core cpu to quad core in my elitebook 8470p"I saw documents with info from hp with "3610qm 3630qm 3720qm and 3740qm" support for 8470p and 8570p models in this forum.There in JUNE 2012, The product overview:http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c03373336Said only 3610qm and 3720qm are compatible with the 8470p.But recently document i saw from hp (and i think is the reference guide more actual, january 2013 ) to 8470p and 8470w models like this:http://h20628.www2.hp.com/km-ext/kmcsdirect/emr_na-c03659338-3.pdfthere is not clear, even this document show that only 8470w support quadcore and for 8470p show only dual core models..so i need confirmation before buy quad core model, anybody can confirm if its possible??Thanks a lot

A:HP Elitebook 8470P Dual Core to Quad Core upgrade, it suppor...

Hi, HP Elitebook 8470P is a series of many models/products of laptops and can spread over few years. Very hard to answer because we don't know which year is for your machine. Lately HP gives G1, G2, G3 ..... for some series that give us more information. The document in front of me now dated June 2013 gives another side of the picture PROCESSOR3rd Generation Intel® Core? i7-3740QM (2.70 GHz, 6 MB L3 cache, 45W, 4 cores)*Up to 3.70 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology3rd Generation Intel® Core? i7-3720QM (2.60 GHz, 6 MB L3 cache, 45W, 4 cores)*Up to 3.60 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology3rd Generation Intel® Core? i7-3630QM (2.40 GHz, 6 MB L3 cache, 45W, 4 cores)*?Up to 3.40 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology3rd Generation Intel® Core? i7-3610QM (2.30 GHz, 6 MB L3 cache, 45W, 4 cores)*?Up to 3.30 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology3rd Generation Intel® Core? i7-3540M (3.0 GHz, 4 MB L3 cache, 35W, 2 cores)*Up to 3.70 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology3rd Generation Intel® Core? i7-3520M (2.90 GHz, 4 MB L3 cache, 35W, 2 cores)*Up to 3.60 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology3rd Generation Intel® Core? i5-3380M (2.90 GHz, 3 MB L3 cache, 35W, 2 cores)*Up to 3.60 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology3rd Generation Intel® Core? i5-3360M (2.80 GHz, 3 MB L3 cache, 35W, 2 cores)*Up to 3.50 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology3rd Generation Intel® Core? i5-3340M (2.70 GHz, 3 MB L3 cache, 35W, 2 cores)*Up to 3.40 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology3rd Generation Intel® Core? i5-3320M (2.60 GHz, 3 MB L3 cache, 35W, 2 cores)*Up to 3.30 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology3rd Generation Intel® Core? i5-3230M (2.60 GHz, 3 MB L3 cache, 35W, 2 cores)*?Up to 3.20 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology3rd Generation Intel® Core? i5-3210M (2.50 GHz, 3 MB L3 cache, 35W, 2 cores)*?Up to 3.10 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology3rd Generation Intel® Core? i3-3130M (2.60 GHz, 3 MB L3 cache, 35W, 2 cores)*?3rd Generation Intel® Core? i3-3120M (2.50 GHz, 3 MB L3 cache, 35W, 2 cores)*?3rd Generation Intel® Core? i3-3110M (2.40 GHz, 3 MB L3 cache, 35W, 2 cores)*? For  HP EliteBook 8470p Notebook PC (14")         HP EliteBook 8570p Notebook PC (15"). Regards.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/HP-Elitebook-8470P-Dual-Core-to-Quad-Core-upgrade-it-support/td-p/5791049
Relevancy 62.35%

Hello friends,
I m very eager to know that whats the actual difference between a Core 2 Duo processor and a Pentium Dual Core processor, other than their proceesing architecture?

According to most benchmarking sites including Tom's Hardware, Core 2 Duo E4300 or 6300 performs better than Pentium Dual Core 820 in almost all benchmarks.....whereas C2D E4300 or E6300(1.8 and 1.86 Ghz respectievely) are having MUCH lower clock speeds than Pentium D 820(2.8Ghz). Why like this???

I have 2 systems, one with C2D E4300 1.86 Ghz and another(from which I am writing this thread) is Pentium D 820 2.8Ghz. But I dont see any MUCH performance difference in reality, although in multi-tasking and gaming C2D system still performs better.

Can anybody please explain me in details.....
Thanks in advance.
Regards,
TheHacker

A:Why Core 2 Duo outperforms Pentium Dual Core even when C2D has lower clock Speed??

The Core 2 Duo doesn't share the same architecture as the older NetBurst architecture of the Pentium D, which is also shared by the Pentium 4. The Pentium D is effectively a pair of Pentium 4 CPUs on one die. The Core 2 Duo architecture allows for a lot more processing to be done in one cycle, hence more information can be pushed in, say, 1 million cycles by the Core 2 Duo than the Pentium D. As for 'reality', there obviously won't be much difference when both systems are used for stuff like playing music etc. But the real differences will show up when you tax them, such as when playing an HD video without a video card supporting HD-decoding where the Core 2 Duo will be able to process information much more quicker than the Pentium D and so you will have a smoother image. Check on Wikipedia for more in-depth details.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/why-core-2-duo-outperforms-pentium-dual-core-even-when-c2d-has-lower-clock-speed.96914/
Relevancy 62.35%

Hey all,
I have some proprietary software that works great on a single-core processor. When I try to run it on a dual-core or above, the software loads, works once, and then messes up.

The software uses modems to dial out to our payphones. We found a work-around by turning off one processor in the bios, but then, what's the point of having a dual-core processor.

Please help. The software is doing this on Windows XP.

Thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/software-crashes-on-dual-core-works-fine-on-single-core.836441/
Relevancy 62.35%

I was hoping that I could ask for some help on finding out exactly how to overclock my CPU. I?ve looked online for some tutorials, and either they?re not self-explanatory enough for a beginner, or they are mere reviews of what hardware they used while overclocking their computers. Anyways, I get the gist of how overclocking works, but not any real down to earth knowledge on what exactly to configure in respect to overclocking the Intel Core 2 Duo E8400.
What I?m using:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400

Motherboard: Asus P5K-E Wi-Fi AP

RAM: OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)

I am a first time newb at this whole overclocking stuff, so any help, again, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time,

Tyler

A:Looking To Overclock My Intel Core 2 Duo E8400

Tweak the FSB first, in 10MHz increments, and then test for stability by running Prime95's torture test for around 30 minutes or so. Then reboot, increment the FSB and test again. Increase the FSB until the point where Prime95 gives you errors. You might want to keep a paper and pencil handy to note down the stable and unstable readings.

If the PC crashes and doesn't boot, just reset the CMOS by removing the small battery from the mobo for about a minute, and putting it back in. Then just set the FSB to the last stable value, and you have a nice OC.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/looking-to-overclock-my-intel-core-2-duo-e8400.109538/
Relevancy 61.92%

Simply put- RED Blue Screens. I don't know what I need to call them. THEY ARE RED! And they just reference "An error reading the instruction set" There is no STOP Error. I upgraded the Processor from AMD Athlon x2 5000+ to an AMD Phenom x4 9650. I have not overclocked it. In fact, first thing I did after installing it was reset CMOS.

I've checked for minidumps relating to this issue but there are none. I am running Windows 7 x64 Home Premium.

I've tried doing research but my results are non-conclusive.

A:Strange Behaviour after Upgrading to AMD Quad-Core from Dual-Core

Hello Timmah,
Everything is running OK, you drop in the new CPU, then you start getting problems.
Have you double checked all the connections and power leads, plus all the data cables ?.
Is there a Bios update that will address the issue ?, it may be worth checking the MB manufacturers site.
Hope this helps, good luck and post your results.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/267097-strange-behaviour-after-upgrading-amd-quad-core-dual-core.html
Relevancy 61.92%

Hi,
I have two laptops made by the same manufacturer and same year, but one is a dual core laptop with an SSD harddrive and the other is a quad core laptop with a regular hard drive. Both laptops run Windows 8.

I would like to transfer my programs and files from the dual core to the quad core. However, obviously the quad core has different hardware.

I am wondering if I simply remove the SSD from the dual core and put it into the quad core (replacing the quad's primary hard drive with the SSD) and simply boot up the quad core, would that be sufficient? Will the quad core recognize the hardware mismatch and automatically correct the drivers, while keeping my programs and files?

Or is there some other, efficient way to make the transfer? I really want to avoid having to reinstall all my programs.

Thank you

A:Transfer programs and files from Dual Core to Quad Core

There are a lot of third party tools designed to move a Windows installation to new hardware. I prefer using native Windows tool Sysprep for this, mainly because the method is the one and only Microsoft supports and recommends but also because it has never failed me.

The method is described in this tutorial on our sister site the Seven Forums and works also with Windows 8: Windows 7 Installation - Transfer to a New Computer - Windows 7 Help Forums. Method One in tutorial would be ideal for you for moving the SSD to new computer.

Read the information and warnings in the beginning of the tutorial carefully, especially the warning about Windows needing to be reactivated is important. Come back if you have any questions.

Kari

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/53640-transfer-programs-files-dual-core-quad-core.html
Relevancy 61.92%

Hello friends, Which one of the processor is faster & better between Pentium P4 3.6 GHz 'Processor No. 660 Single core 2MB L2' and the other one is 'P4 3.4 GHz Processor No. 945 Dual Core 4MB L2 Cache'. So one is a 3.6 GHz single core and other one is 3.4 GHz dual core. Thanks in advance

-regards

A:Comparing Single core & dual core Pentium processors

Welcome to our forum...may I suggest before jumping on to a new forum and posting a question, especially on a heavily asked current topic, it would be a better idea and provide you faster response time if you first searched the topic....
http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/484862-dual-core.html?highlight=dual+core+single+processors
http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/...re.html?highlight=dual+core+single+processors

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/comparing-single-core-dual-core-pentium-processors.495125/
Relevancy 61.92%

It is a Dell cheap laptop vostro 2520 fitted an i3 2.4 m ..I updated bios fitted another 2gb ram .
Should I do any other configering it takes a long time to fully boot up . That is to connect to internet . I think it was faster before
I did upgrade.

Relevancy 61.92%

I was just interested in knowing if my intel celeron D 335 2.80GHz processor is dual core or single core because on intel's website, I see that they make a dual and single core version but I can't determine which one mine is?

Thanks.

A:Solved: Intel Celeron D 335: Dual core or Single core

It's a single core.

There are dual core Celerons, but yours isn't.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-intel-celeron-d-335-dual-core-or-single-core.887587/
Relevancy 61.92%

Just a quick question. I know daul core means two cores on one chip. But if you have a 2.0ghz daul core cpu dose it mean you are equal to or better than a 4.0ghz
cpu? People keep asking me this. They want to know if they have a peice of software that requires a 3.0ghz cpu and they have a 1.5ghz daul core if they can run the software.
I'm just not understanding single core to daul core thing completely and i am not sure if i am answering them correctly. I think so but just want to confirm.

A:Core 2 duo, dual core, and Athlon64 X2 Dual Core

No. It simply means you have more than 1 CPU on the die. A 4 core 2.0 CPU means you have four (4) 2.0ghz cores on the die.

At this point, just because a GHz is faster doesn't mean the system or the die is faster or slower than others. There are many things now that affect speed - ram (or lack thereof), the efficiency of the programs to multi-task, HD rpm, chipsets, and others. The trend to faster GHz CPUs with single cores ended a couple of years ago as CPU makers discovered they ran into a thermal barriers with smaller circuitry that they couldn't get around. So they decicded it would be better to put more than one CPU on the die. Thus we got multi core CPUs. Yes- even here they are trying to make each core faster, but there is still a thermal barrier.

For the most part, you really won't notice much of a difference in speed after a certain point. - You have to take the whole system together. Gamers need to pay special close attention to their graphics cards and RAM.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/core-2-duo-dual-core-and-athlon64-x2-dual-core.113535/
Relevancy 61.92%

AMD Athlon Core Explanation Note No processor is guranteed to do anything apart from operate safely at advertised specifications Although some cores have reputations of high overclockability chips Athlon AMD Core Explanation 64 of the same core vary based on AMD Athlon 64 Core Explanation speedbinning fab location and week and stepping numbers A common question which seems to be asked is the difference between the numerous cores which AMD offers AMD Athlon 64 Core Explanation on the Athlon lineup Each core offers a variation of improvements over its predicessor and this will explain the relations between the current cores offered for Socket Athlon s One of the large differences between AMD cores is the process size The process size is measured in nanometers nm meters Smaller process size is in theory a superior core simply because the circuits consume less power and uses less current as it can charge faster Consider a nm core and a nm core Imagine the nm core is a mL cup and the nm core is a mL cup Not only can the mL cup fill faster it fills up with far less liquid or voltage therefore it uses less power and produces a smaller heat output The only problem with smaller process size is the fact that as transitors get smaller the insulation also gets smaller and current can have a tendency to leak or give out excess heat output AMD has not reached this problem as of yet and their nm cores are still energy and heat conservative however the Intel quot Prescott quot suffers from this problem AMD currently has five single cores availible to the socket family Newcastle Clawhammer Winchester Venice San Diego AMD also offers multicores Manchester and Toledo Newcastle Newcastle is one of the older AMD Athlon cores being brought to the socket family from socket Newcastle chips are based on the nm process and have the largest power consumption and heat dump overall next to the Clawhammer core They ve got the normal Athlon cache size of KB Newcastle is availible in chips such as the and It s a dated core and as far as overclockability goes don t expect much more than MHz on air I really would stay away from this core as I don t think there s any difference in price between it and the more power conservative nm cores Clawhammer This core is another one that migrated from the socket family and assumed the role of dealing with the high end processors in the family such as and FX series processors It is also avalible in format however It s nearly identical to the Newcastle except it pumps out more heat consumes more power and has a larger MB L cache Like the Newcastle this core has bitten the dust recently and is outshown in both overclockability and overall performance by newer nm cores Winchester This is the first native socket core that AMD introduced and is also the first core to boast the nm process size The Winchester is near identicle to the Newcastle however it has a smaller heat dump and consumes less power Again a modest KB L cache These cores scored some big points in the overclocking catergory early on you should expect about a - MHz increase on these cores Unfortunetely however the nm process wasn t perfected and couldn t sustain higher clock speeds and was only availible up to A Winchester generally caps at around - GHz if your lucky mostly - GHz since the silicon couldn t support higher clock speeds The Winchester has been revised and replaced with the quot Venice quot Note Some Motherboards require an updated BIOS in order to use nm cores Venice The Venice is notorious for it s ridiculous power and voltage conservation reaching clock speeds as high as GHz with little overall vcore increase The Venice uses an improved intergrated memory controller which can account for all DIMM slots running at MHz Previous memory controllers would underclock the RAM to MHz if all four slots were in use The Venice specifically fixes the silicon problem found in the Winchester and can handle higher clock speeds It s also the first AMD core to add... Read more

A:AMD Athlon 64 Core Explanation

Zephead Hates The Newcastle Core! Do Not Get It!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/amd-athlon-64-core-explanation.29369/
Relevancy 61.92%

Any guys chipped their core?

Guys i dunno about u guys but as for me, i have already chipped 1 of my TB 1.33G so far and luckily i got warranty n send it back for RMA!

I always find it hard to take out hsf and everytime it will cause my back to cold sweat! Dunno about u guys! But it sure won;t feel good after after u experienced once chipped TB before! If its duron, then may be not so bad! haha!

Any expert here can give a better solution of how to take out ur AMD chips without chiping?

Or may be the supplier have to improve the way they mod the cpu on to the mtb! Cheers!

A:Ever chip an Athlon core?

nope, i didn't. And I am glad i didn't, because those chips look TOO FRAGILE TO ME.

Its strange to compare them to the original Athlon chips, where where slot based and were built like little tanks.

Surely in design testing, the folks at AMD must have realised that the Athlon Cs and XPs were just too weak.

Cracking your core! Chipping it! Man, these things should NOT be possible.

But unfortunately, they seem to be.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ever-chip-an-athlon-core.399/
Relevancy 61.92%

hello...

Mm... this is my question, do AMD ATHLON-2 QUAD-CORE 620 runs on mobo socket AM2 ?

p/s: Sorry for my english..

A:Amd athlon-2 quad-core 620

they do not, an AM3 (which the 620 is) will run on a AM2+ or an AM3 (may require an bios update)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/amd-athlon-2-quad-core-620.145895/