Windows Support Forum

Windows XP Home SP3 - Black Screen Problems

Q: Windows XP Home SP3 - Black Screen Problems

Monitor inch Viewsonic vx Motherboard Gigabyte P -DS P Processor Intel Core Duo running at stock speed Memory GB PC Graphics Card GT MB Hard Drives x GB Maxtor SATA with OS and all my normal programs x TB Samsung SATAS with Games etc on OS Windows XP Home SP all drivers were up to date last week with the latest offical drivers Over the last weeks i've been getting some strange crashes where my monitor goes to a black screen with the power light going orange and flashing on and off It happens randomly sometimes I get it while windows is booting up sometimes I come back after leaving it running for a bit and the black screen is there I'm certain the problem is not virus spyware as I've had the problem happen before getting to the POST screen Over the weekend I throughly scanned my Problems - Screen Windows XP Black Home SP3 computer using the following programs and nothing came up except a couple of tracking cookies CrapCleaner Malwarebytes Trend Micro Sysclean Spybot S Windows XP Home SP3 - Black Screen Problems amp D Trend Micro Rootkitbuster I think its most likely a hardware problem but I've never had a problem quite like this before so I'm not sure where to start I don't have any spare PSU Graphics Card MB or CPU to try to isolate the problem so if you have any thoughts on what the issue could be it would be greatly appreciated cheers

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Windows XP Home SP3 - Black Screen Problems

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Windows XP Home SP3 - Black Screen Problems

First thing to check is voltages and temperatures - check in Bios initially - report ALL.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-xp-home-sp3-black-screen-problems-423612.html
Relevancy 70.95%

K, I have an HP Pavilion a 1000y with xp home. Recently had an issue and rebooted. Loads past the logo then to the dreaded black screen with nonmovable cursor. Safemode doesn't work, repairing with disc doesn't work, entering in VGA mode doesn't work, entering safemode with command prompt doesn't work. I am a computer novice, but like to try to fix things myself. Any words of wisdom?

A:Windows XP Home Edition Home black screen of death

What ever happens, you probably will need a Windows cd.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-xp-home-edition-home-black-screen-of-death-439586.html
Relevancy 66.22%

I used BCD to XP installing screen Windows Black when Home!! create a bootable windows xp install cd slipstreamed with sp from the i folder in windows which was saved before I lost windows with an accidental disk reformat The cd boots up fine and everything copies over and installs correctly with no errors It then says it will continue setup after reboot but after reboot Black screen when installing Windows XP Home!! all I get is a black screen with a flashing cursor in the top left with Black screen when installing Windows XP Home!! no errors I have no idea ho to get setup to continue Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be amd athlon gb PC Ram radeon x xt PS I am running Ubuntu Linux just now but on a seperate partition and with Grub on a seperate partition and NOT on the MBR and also Windows is on the First and active partition so i don't think this has anything to do with it but just in case Black screen when installing Windows XP Home!! I thought I should mention it

A:Black screen when installing Windows XP Home!!

sounds like you need to load a driver with f6 during the install

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/black-screen-when-installing-windows-xp-home-123167.html
Relevancy 66.22%

hi

i've got a major problem with my sony vaio laptop. when i start it up, all i get is a black screen which states:
"windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\windows\system32\config\system
you can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original setup cd rom"

i can get into safe mode, but then nothing happens....it just goes back to the above screen.

help!?! thanks

A:windows xp home edition. black screen!!

Hello & Welcome to Tech Guy Forum.

What troubleshooting steps have you performed? Last known good config?

When did your computer last work well? What changed? Any known updates to Windows; AntiVirus, other program?
Which XP have you? Which service pack?

Would you describe yourself as a beginning, intermediate or advanced computer user?

Do you have an Operating System disk?

Which Sony VAIO computer have you? Some manufacturers don't provide an operating system CD; they provide a system recovery partition and / or a system recovery disk or set of disks.

Do you know how to make a bootable CD from an. ".iso" file?

The more information you provide, the more likely will success be achieved.

RF123

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-home-edition-black-screen.898976/
Relevancy 65.36%

Recently booting XP Black Screen HELP! Home Windows when Edition I've been having some troubles with Windows XP booting Normally I'd use Linux but it's my parents' machine and I'm their tech guy Well this is the first real problem that's stumped me Sometimes when the computer turns on it goes through the regular loading screen with the loading bar and the logo After that the screen goes black and the Num Lock key turns off I didn't know whether to mention that or not I just found HELP! Black Screen when booting Windows XP Home Edition it strange that it's on during the boot screen and turns off in the black screen So I hold the power button for a couple of seconds let it boot again and I try the options in this next HELP! Black Screen when booting Windows XP Home Edition screen which gives me three Safe Mode options a quot Boot XP Normally quot option HELP! Black Screen when booting Windows XP Home Edition and a quot Last known good configuration quot option I alternate between the Normal and Good Config options but sometimes they work and sometimes they don't I have found however that booting into Safe Mode works and right now I'm in Safe Mode with Networking Could anyone please help I need help fast

A:HELP! Black Screen when booting Windows XP Home Edition

Any changes since the problem started occurring that are worth mentioning?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/help-black-screen-when-booting-windows-xp-home-edition-223875.html
Relevancy 65.36%

My computer is running Windows 7 Home Premium x64 and after POST it goes to an all black screen with a _ in the top left.

This started with a blue screen after waking up from sleep. I have re installed windows 3 times now and it happens again after 2-3 days always the same after waking up. It will boot ant thing else i can think of from UBCD to Linux and the install CD. The install CD however will not run Start-up repair saying it is not the right version of windows even when i installed it 2 days ago with that exact CD. i"m normal very good with computer but this one has me stumped and i don't wish to re-install again as it takes quite some time as it is a rather unique setup.

Thank you for any help you can give
Bradley

A:Windows 7 Home Premium black screen after POST

Quote:
all black screen with a _ in the top left

That could be any number of things such as it trying to boot to an Optical drive that has a disc in it but is not bootable, has a USB drive plugged in or a printer with memory stick slots or USB port on it. Basically it's looking for boot files and can't find them, could be the HDD has gone bad.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/348665-windows-7-home-premium-black-screen-after-post.html
Relevancy 64.93%

I recently repaired my installation of Windows XP Home I ran the repair because I downloaded a virus or some malware that deleted a bunch of systems files and somehow blocked me from visiting many websites including antivirus sites and Microsoft After I successfully repaired Windows activated it and logged on for the first time I tried to install Malwarebytes to get rid of any remaining problems from the original virus When I tried to install Malwarebytes I got a message saying the Windows Installer was loading for another program so I cancelled it and tried runnign the setup file for Malwarebytes again Then Windows Black XP after Screen to Boots Pointer Mouse Repair with Home Windows my computer froze Windows XP Home Boots to Black Screen with Mouse Pointer after Windows Repair and I was forced to do a hard power off Now when I start the computer it goes through the initial Windows logo loading screen and then it goes to a black screen with a mouse pointer that I can move but there are no options to click and none of the usual keyboard hotkeys have any effect I can successfully boot Windows using Safe Mode but I m not saavy enough to know what my options would be with that I tried using the Run gt sfc scannow command but it apparently doesn t work in Safe Mode Please help if you can I m almost ready to completely reformat and start from scratch but I d like to be able to save my data and settings if possible nbsp

A:Windows XP Home Boots to Black Screen with Mouse Pointer after Windows Repair

idk if this is a problem but:

my computer does this is i have a rather full HD it just takes a while to load.

how long did u leave it before restarting (the black screen)?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-home-boots-to-black-screen-with-mouse-pointer-after-windows-repair.838128/
Relevancy 64.93%

The checkdisk log exists and the autocheck chkdsk* reg entry exists , however there is no screen showing the details while its going thru the processes, after windows xp bootup screen, screen goes blank until chkdsk is done . I have a notebook , integrated video , no other video card, although this notebook can support two monitors, Im using the notebook video screen only.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-xp-black-screen-on-windows-startup-after-chkdsk-in-winxp-sp3-home-329527.html
Relevancy 64.07%

Hi thanks in advance for the advice i with Windows cursor 64bit Home Black Premium 7 - screen active will hopefully receive I have only had my Asus CM - desktop for days and it works fine except one very important thing Four out of times when I turn it on it shows the Asus logo and the Windows logo and plays the Windows music then I see a black screen with an active cursor that I can move with the mouse No key commands Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit - Black screen with active cursor work like CTRL-ALT-DELETE All I can do is hold the power button in until it turns off then turn it on again Even when it does boot successfully and I use it for a while when it goes into rest mode I get the same black screen and active cursor and have to power down again The only installations I have done are Kapersky anti-virus and an internal Linksys Wireless-G adapter from my old computer At first I did not install the software for the wireless adapter but I took it out of the PC today installed the software successfully and re-installed the adapter per the instructions and the computer is still behaving the exact same way Once again thanks in advance for your assistance

A:Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit - Black screen with active cursor

Welcome to Seven Forums Irish. Many time this can be caused by a hardware issue. You can try a restore point to see if it helps. System Restore
Or run SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker

Lastly, since its 4 days old, I would be taking it back to the store.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/190257-windows-7-home-premium-64bit-black-screen-active-cursor.html
Relevancy 63.64%

Hey all,
I am having problems with the screen freeing when running multiple windows (Chrome, office etc etc). When I try to swap between windows, I get a freeze and I am unable to do anything.
The cursor can be seen moving around the screen but has no effect in any area. The Windows Key doesn't ppear, nor can I tab into another programme.
If I try and start task manager to see which program is causing this, it will not appear over the frozen image.
Is there a way of telling from an event log what program is failing?

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?93064-Screen-freeze-and-black-screen-with-problems-multiple-windows
Relevancy 63.21%

The normal startup sequence is:
1. Illuminated screen (1 sec) permitting F12 access to BIOS
2. Dell Logo with rotating dots
3 Desktop
What I am now getting is:
1 Black screen (30-35 sec) with no access to BIOS
2 and 3 as before.
Since this unfortunate change happened, I have been unable to see USB3 drives anywhere on the system (File Manager, Safely Remove Hardware, Device Manager, Disk Management, etc).
I have had this fault before with both Windows 8.1 and Windows 10, but have never found a remedy, and have always had to wait for the fault to rectify itself. This has meant waiting anything from 3 days to 1 month. Once the normal startup resumes, the USB3 fault is rectified without further ado.
I have found no solution to this on the Dell site.I do not understand why this happens every 2-3 months, and would greatly appreciate any remedy which does not involve delving inside the machine.

A:How do I rectify black screen startup on an Inspiron 5537 15R running Windows 10 Home

Hi rackbrane,
Thanks for posting!
It sounds like your back light on your LCD screen is going bad or possibly the connection to the cable is loose! Try hooking up another monitor to it and see if you get video on that OK. If nothing appears on the other monitor try holding FN key and hit F1 to toggle thru ouputs until it shows.  If it is the screen, then a replacement can be easily procured from Dell Spare parts or from Parts-people.com, or Discount Electronics.  
Post back if you need additional assistance.  Thanks.
Regards,
Robert

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3519/t/19992318
Relevancy 63.21%

The normal startup sequence is Illuminated screen sec permitting F access to BIOS Dell Logo with rotating dots DesktopWhat I am now getting is Black screen - sec with no access to BIOS and as before Since this unfortunate change happened I have been unable to see USB drives anywhere on the system File Manager Safely Remove Hardware Device I running do Inspiron 15R screen 10 How black Windows rectify 5537 an Home? startup on Manager Disk Management etc I have had this fault before with both Windows and Windows but have never found a remedy and have always had to wait for the fault to rectify itself This has meant waiting anything from days to month Once the normal startup resumes the USB fault is rectified without further ado I have found no solution to this on the Dell site I do not understand why this happens every - months and would greatly appreciate any remedy which does not involve delving inside the machine Apologies for reposting this question but I now feel this category more appropriate than Laptops

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4997/t/19992356
Relevancy 63.21%

The normal startup sequence is Illuminated screen sec permitting F access to BIOS Dell Logo with rotating dots DesktopWhat I am now getting is Black screen - sec with no access to BIOS and as 5537 black on 10 Windows do Inspiron I running 15R an How Home? rectify startup screen before Since this unfortunate change happened I have been unable to see USB drives anywhere on the system File Manager Safely Remove Hardware Device Manager Disk Management etc I have had this fault before with both Windows and Windows but have never found a remedy and have always had to wait for the fault to rectify itself This has meant waiting anything from days to month Once the normal startup resumes the USB fault is rectified without further ado How do I rectify black screen startup on an Inspiron 5537 15R running Windows 10 Home? I have found no solution to this on the Dell site I do not understand why this happens every - months and would greatly appreciate any remedy which does not involve delving inside the machine Apologies for reposting this question but I now feel this category more appropriate than Laptops

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19992356
Relevancy 60.2%

I have a HP Pavillion G6 - Windows 7 Home Premium

I still have warranty, and today when i start up my computer it just froze and it commanded me to go to Windows Recovery ( recommended ) it went through my files and tried to repair it and i had to system restore.

as i system restored into later save date, it said that it failed?! so i didn't know what to do there.

i tried hardware resetting and it didn't work.

also when i turned on my computer it would sometimes go to the login screen and it would say welcome for hours and hours, untill it became a black screen and it froze with the cursor..

ALSO! When i turn on my computer it would always flash or blink once on the caps lock.
So if anyone can help that would be great!

A:Alot Of Problems.. Windows 7 black screen when login. Help!

Please Help !!

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/239528-alot-problems-windows-7-black-screen-when-login-help.html
Relevancy 59.77%

my screen stays black and shows the mouse icon and won't load my home screen?

A:my home screen won't load up my screen stays black and shows the mouse

Hello,

Try booting the PC into Safe Mode. Start your computer in safe mode

If successfully able to boot into Safe Mode try running a System Restore back to a date when it was working properly

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/my-home-screen-wont-load-up-my-screen-stays-black-and-shows-the-mouse-684158.html
Relevancy 59.77%

I cant get Windows to load.. when I try safe mode it goes through a list of files then hangs on...

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\agp440.sys

I have tried to do a repair install following instructions from Microsoft but when I press 'R' on the page that lists the partitions, nothing happens. It doesn't give the option to press R either.

Please help

A:Problems loading Windows XP... black screen... hangs on agp440.sys

see if this helps
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;324764

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/problems-loading-windows-xp-black-screen-hangs-on-agp440-sys-184636.html
Relevancy 59.77%

Hi guys Just recently when I was playing a game the display on my laptop suddenly black out and there were some lines I manually power it down by holding the power button When I on it again the cursors and the images were haywire Subsequently whenever I on my laptop I will see the windows logo and after that the desktop never loads I only see a black screen with my cursor At the moment the only way for me to bootup normally into Windows is to disable my AMD Radeon HD M adapter and use after problems logo, Black with cursor windows GPU driver screen the standard VGA adapter I tried many things but I am still unable to fix Black screen with cursor after windows logo, GPU driver problems the problem I still cannot use my AMD Radeon graphics adapter I took the following steps I perform chkdsk f I installed the latest AMD display drivers from their website I updated the drivers from device manager drivers I did a startup repair but no problems was found I used windows memtest but no errors were discovered I formatted my windows partition reinstall windows and reinstalled all the drivers from my PC Samsung manufacturer software and drivers disc I used windows update and update everything I tried the fix it registry as per microsoft website I press F Black screen with cursor after windows logo, GPU driver problems and used last known good configuration settings Is my graphic card faulty Thanks

A:Black screen with cursor after windows logo, GPU driver problems

Boot into Safe Mode with networking to see if the problem persists there.

Safe Mode uses a limited number of drivers and applications.  One of the driver is a graphics driver.  If Windows boots to the desktop it most likely is the graphics driver.

What is the make and model of this laptop?

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When  FileHippo opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/544959/black-screen-with-cursor-after-windows-logo-gpu-driver-problems/
Relevancy 59.34%

I just did an update on my computer (can't remember what for) and it had me restart my computer. After the restart my computer is no longer going to the normal home screen. It goes through the windows welcome screen and the user sign in but the home screen is black. I am able to use ctrl+alt+delete to pull up task manager but I have no idea where to go from there. I fear that I may have seriously messed up my computer. After many attempts at restarting it, the screen is still black but has a box in the top left corner that says:

PERSONAL SETTINGS
Setting up personal settings for:
Web Platform Customizations

I have no idea what to do and need some help.

A:Problems with windows 7 home screen after update

Try booting into safe mode to see if it works correctly.
- Restart the computer or turn it on
- Continually press f8 until the advanced boot menu screen appears
- Select safe mode with networking
- If it doesn't work, try just safe mode

If you can get into safe, you can use system restore and go back to the restore point that was created right before you updated your computer.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problems-with-windows-7-home-screen-after-update.1113679/
Relevancy 58.91%

I have Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit. So, these are my problems described in the title. I cannot change desktop from black, only can set a picture as a background.

When I am in pictures folder for example, I see blank or black thumbnails.
When I right click and go to personalize, I can see black themes instead of actual pictures.

I tried almost everything.
- reinstalling video driver
- clearing thumbnail from disk cleanup
- resetting dwm.exe
- going into safemode and then restaring into normal windows
- I tried fixing shell by using "fixshell"
- clearing & repairing registry errors
- ran an error checker
- ran a file checker

I have Microsoft Office 2010 - I heard that it could be the issue, but maybe I am not right, anyway...

I attached a print screen photo.

And, I am hopeless, any help please? Thanks

A:Windows 7 black screen, black or blank thumbnails, and black desktop themes

I noticed you're not running Aero. Click on last item, left side - "Troubleshoot problems with transparency...."

Office 2010 should not be a factor here. Public pics folder is empty - it should have sample pics in it.

Validate your OS installation - Genuine Microsoft Software

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-7-black-screen-black-or-blank-thumbnails-and-black-desktop-themes-553925.html
Relevancy 58.91%

Bit of a long story but here I go I have Radeon with the crossfire thing set up it s been working well for over years Over the last few weeks I ve been having issues mostly while watching videos usually HD and AMD white/low 6950 Radeon problems screen/black (black and resolution) or full screen The video will freeze the audio will loop then eventually the screen goes black and I get an error message saying quot Display driver AMD Radeon 6950 problems (black screen/black and white/low resolution) has stopped working AMD Radeon 6950 problems (black screen/black and white/low resolution) and has recovered quot Sometimes it didn t recover and I have to turn the computer off What s now happening is it will freeze at the windows start up Then after resetting I will get to windows in very very low resolution and in black and white So I re-seated the cards I couldn t notice any obvious damage to it except the fans were very dusty so I cleaned them Boot it up and I still get the black and white I checked the device manager and it said one of the cards was having problems I uninstalled both drivers from that menu not quite sure if I should have done this and for whatever reason it s now working However it now seems one of my cards is not being recognised Only one display adapter is shown in the device manager and AMD catalyst only recognises one card too What s the best course of action to determine what s wrong with what card still not quite sure which one it is Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Pro bit Processor Intel R Core TM i - K CPU GHz Intel Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card AMD Radeon HD Series - Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB D Total - MB Free - MB E Total - MB Free - MB F Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard ASUSTeK Computer INC P Z -V Antivirus Windows Defender Disabled nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/amd-radeon-6950-problems-black-screen-black-and-white-low-resolution.1116301/
Relevancy 57.19%

Hi,
I just formatted and reinstalled windows XP home on my dell 8200 desk top. At the end of the os install my monitor went black. I got error codes on the little lites on the back of the tower too. After much trial and error I removed the graphics card and all the little lites are green when I boot the computer without the card.. I wonder if it's a bad graphics card? Could it be the drivers for the card? I want to give this computer to a friend that needs one, I got a new Mac 1 and half years ago. Any help on this would be great, I'm at a loss. I've been working on it on and off, at least 15 hours, so far. Uggg Can I somehow install the driver disk without the monitor? Can't see to go through the prompts. Thanks, Bill

A:Reinstalled XP Home Got Black Screen

It's a nvidia Geforce mx2 video card.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/405349/reinstalled-xp-home-got-black-screen/
Relevancy 56.76%

I have had this occasional black screen when logging into my login, the guest account does not have that problem and I can access the guest account by pushing alt+ctrl+delete.

Luckily I have been able to get to my desktop after a few restarts, but I need help figuring out why this is happening when I log in to my personal account.

I am using windows home premium service pack2 32-bit system

Thanks
Stretched

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vista-home-premium-black-screen-1085849.html
Relevancy 56.76%

I work for a shop and needed someone elses point of view on a situation i have laptop desktop Same problemlaptop will load to the log in screen load the desktop then after a few mins crash to a black screen then i need to hard power it down to get it to boot back up once is recovers i get a windows error report that saysBluescreenOs version Local ID I've tried system restore to no luck PC works solid in safe mode removed nortons I could not locate anything in the event logs other then some network services erroring out I have the Hard Drive doing a chkdsk via another pc atm in a drive tray Desktop Fresh install of windows bit Black Vista 32 Screen Premium Home Auto loads to the desktop Does the exact same thing Screen will go black then it either needs to be power cycled or it may reboot on its on When it boots back up i get the exact same error messageBluescreenOs version Local ID The desktops hard drive makes a lot of grinding noise like the platter is scrapping agains the drive wall i'm in the process with it booting off a OEM vista disk to run a check disk on it as well I dont believe both of these PC's Vista Home Premium 32 bit Black Screen are having hard drive issues but i'm unsure atm as i wait for the disk checks to get done The laptop works great in safe mode havent tried the desktop yet Not sure if they both have some boot loader virus or not I havent run combofix hijack malwarebytes or spybot yet on the laptop Any thought or insight would be greatly appreicated EDIT Both check disks didnt find anything out of the norm Laptop chkdsk Checking file system on E Cleaning up minor inconsistencies on the drive Cleaning up unused index entries from index SII of file x Cleaning up unused index entries from index SDH of file x Cleaning up unused security descriptors CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal Usn Journal verification completed CHKDSK is verifying file data stage of File data verification completed CHKDSK is verifying free space stage of Free space verification is complete The upcase file content is incorrect Correcting errors in the uppercase file Windows has made corrections to the file system KB total disk space KB in files KB in indexes KB in bad sectors KB in use by the system KB occupied by the log file KB available on disk bytes in each allocation unit total allocation units on disk allocation units available on disk

A:Vista Home Premium 32 bit Black Screen

Sounds to me like a driver problem or overheating.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/349177/vista-home-premium-32-bit-black-screen/
Relevancy 56.76%

Hi I'm booting to a black screen with mouse cursor in Win7,  Any of the safe mode options yield the same result. I am able to bring up the system recovery options.  Unfortunately, system restore yields no restore points...seems extremely odd, and Startup Repair says it cannot make any repairs due to OsVersionMismatch...screen shot below.  Just prior to this I was having system lock-up issues.  Upon running chkdsk /f, the utility ran for several hours stating "Replacing invalid security ID with default security ID" for over 250,000 files. Any ideas?  

A:Booting to black screen Win7-64 home

Hi

to the Bleeping Computer forum.

Your issue seems like a file system corruption which might be caused by a failing hard drive. I would run a hard disk health check first before attempting to do any repairs. Please post the brand of your hard drive (Seagate, Samsung , Hitachi etc ) and i will post the instructions to test it using Manufacturer's diagnostic tools.

If this is a branded PC or Laptop, please post the exact model number also.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/503271/booting-to-black-screen-win7-64-home/
Relevancy 56.76%

I ve been a pc tech for years and I XP to boots with cursor Home screen black have an old computer it XP Home boots to black screen with cursor has tons of proprietary software on it so I can t afford to do a clean install Recently after a normal shutdown the previous night it now boots past the splash screen to a black screen with a cursor The cursor moves numlock works but nothing else Ctrl-alt-del doesn t work nothing Here is what I ve done so far Tried last known good confi Safe mode doesn t work Safe mode with command prompt also doesn t work Tried ghosting over to a brand new hard drive Ran fixmbr fixboot bootcfg rebuild chkdsk r twice Repair install with the latest XP disc and XP slipstreamed in New memory New PSU No blown leaking caps Tried doing system restore back weeks to the earliest restore point available Removed add-on video card using onboard video Tried new optical drive I know I could copy off the data and do a clean install but I REALLY need to get this thing going without a clean-install I ve run out of ideas right now and I need HELP There HAS to be a solution that I haven t tried yet Thank you Zeoran nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/xp-home-boots-to-black-screen-with-cursor.154161/
Relevancy 55.9%

I have a PC that locked up. Upon reboot, I only got a black screen with mouse control. I get the same thing when attempting Safe Mode, Sofe Mode w prompt, and last known good config options. I even atempted a repair install. I get the same result in all cases.

I suspect this was cause by malware but I cannot boot to fix. I need advise on what else I can try to get the machine booted so I can troubleshoot. Thanks in advance.

A:XP Home - Black Screen - Normal & Safe Modes

Have you tried tapping F8 and choose Last Known Good Config? See if you're able to bootup.

If this doesn't work and you really suspect Malware or Virus, you may post a new Thread in the Security forum, they are very good at this.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/xp-home-black-screen-normal-and-safe-modes-422228.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Hi,
need help to solve my current problem.
After booting Win XP Home I get a Black Screen with a whit mouse cursor.
I have tried to reboot in safe-mode-no success.
Who can help me?
thanks
al-akid

Relevancy 55.9%

Hello everyone 7 premium of (black Window home screen death) I could really use some advise I am not an expert when it comes to computers so please forgive my lack of knowledge I have an acer laptop about years old Recently it was connected via HDMI extended desktop to a tv and I was syncing my phone using iTunes and my computer hung up so I restarted it Now once the computer starts it prompts me to login windows login and then I get the black screen of death with a cursor At first I could move the cursor but now I can't move it I tried to open task manager but it appears the computer is extremely slow and barely responds and I have to restart again Same goes for safe mode as well The only thing that works is safe mode with command prompt It allow me to type So what I Window 7 home premium (black screen of death) wanted to know was if there is any way for me to restore to a previous state from cmd prompt Or at least if I can copy my important files from command prompt to an external drive or something I have so many old family pics on my system that I cannot lose Please help

A:Window 7 home premium (black screen of death)

Troubleshooting Windows 7 Failure to Boot
Try it, step by step.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/258568-window-7-home-premium-black-screen-death.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Hey all great forum you have here Jerry Lippey WUGNET at Laptop Computing steered me here to Brink Shawn 's tutorial Repair Install For Vista - Vista Forums I have a Toshiba Satellite L D - Q PSLC C- Q C that is running Vista Home Premium SP unknown The kernel completely loads to a black screen active backlit black with only a moveable mouse pointer None of the Recovery Options have helped and I can't do an Upgrade Install because I can't get to the GUI My priority and objective is to save this system and preserve files programs and settings I Premium to boots black Vista screen Home read Brink's How to Repair and Verify the Integrity of Vista System Files with System File Checker and I'd like to try sfc scannow however I get the following quot Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service quot Searching for 'Windows Resource Protection ' I found this thread error code - Windows Vista Home Premium boots to black screen update fails and Flavius' solution post but I thought I'd better post first to see if I've gone wrong elsewhere I'm booting from a Windows Vista Home Premium SP OEM DVD then choosing 'Repair ' and from the System Recovery Options GUI 'Command Prompt' This opens a command prompt window entitled Administrator X windows system cmd exe X Sources gt so presumably I am in an elevated command prompt sfc verifyonly gets the same result as sfc scannow What should I do to get sfc to run for me Thanks Kevin

A:Vista Home Premium boots to black screen

Hello Kevin McIntosh,
Have you tried this in safe mode ?, do you get the same error results ?, may be worth a try.
Also, when did this start and what caused it, new software/hardware, a change in the system somewhere maybe, if you can pin it to a particular date, a system restore may help sort it.
Hope this helps, good luck and post your results.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/257026-vista-home-premium-boots-black-screen.html
Relevancy 55.9%

About an hour ago I was on my system running Windows XP Home not screen cursor boot, home XP w/ blinking black will just browsing the web when all of the sudden I got a blue screen of death for quot sfsync sys quot I have never seen this BSOD before this is the first time XP home will not boot, black screen w/ blinking cursor it happened and upon my attempt to reboot I cannot get in to Windows It just hangs on the black screen with the blinking cursor which would only prior momentarily display right before the Windows loading screen would appear Multiple reboot attempts have given me the same result just the black screen with blinking cursor I cannot get in to safe mode or anything as I cannot even get that Window to display I have two gb Seagate SATA harddrives and both are displaying properly in the bios In terms of hardware nothing has changed in this system in years About to weeks ago I had the case opened up to clean it out and remove the dust that had accumulated inside and on the fans that is it in terms of me opening up the case It has gb of RAM gb Seagate SATA drives as mentioned an ASUS K VSE Deluxe motherboard Creative Audigy ZS sound card ATI Sapphire X Pro mb video card and an AMD processor Also has a DVDRW CDRW and DVD-ROM disc drives floppy drive and media drive there is nothing in any of the drives nor is there a USB stick in any of the USB ports Any advice on how to get back in to Windows I currently have the system OFF and have switched off the power switch on the back of the power supply I have not removed the CMOS battery however Thank you

A:XP home will not boot, black screen w/ blinking cursor

Can you boot up in safe mode, by hitting F8 just after the post screen?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/406088/xp-home-will-not-boot-black-screen-w-blinking-cursor/
Relevancy 55.9%

Okay, I'm at a total loss here.

I have looked everywhere, Google, this forum, everywhere, and I cannot fin the answer. I've tried RegEdit, EoA, Personalization, Iris control panel, and NVIDIA control panel. The entire 9 yards, and probably 9 more.

MY DESKTOP WILL NOT STAY AT THE IMAGE THAT I SET IT AT. Every time I restart the computer, the desktop background will start out at my set image, then go back to the black screen. My icons stay where they are, and what's set to be on my desktop, but the image goes black. Is there a way that anyone can help me? I don't know if it's Samsung's fiddling with it, or otherwise, but it's truly, properly irritating.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

*EDIT* Figured it out. It was Samsung's ECO Mode.

http://www.tenforums.com/customization/60979-win10-home-premium-desktop-black-screen.html
Relevancy 55.47%

I recently installed a retail upgrade version of Win 7 HP on my desktop which had previously been run on Win XP SP3. The installation went fine and the computer works fine now with the new OS, however, during startup I get a black screen which asks me to select one of three options
a.a prior operating system
b.recovery console
c.Win 7
The win 7 option is highlighted so if i do nothing the pc proceeds to open with Win 7 and finishes booting up with no boot up or performance problem.

Can anyone tell me how to remove this black screen and the two non Win 7 options. It isnt a major problem but is an annoyance and I know it isnt "normal"

Thanks for your help!

A:How to remove black screen at startup in win7 home prem

You can edit the boot menu manually via bcdedit, or you can use a tool like EasyBCD:
Download EasyBCD 2.1.2 - NeoSmart Technologies

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/213636-how-remove-black-screen-startup-win7-home-prem.html
Relevancy 55.47%

my hard drive started to run slow, so I rebooted, and when I did an error message came up saying could not boot...I ran the vista repair disc, and it says it cannot repair, that the following error has occurred: c:\windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe can't be found or is corrupt or missing. I went to the command prompt and ran a chkdsk /r and hit hit enter, after going thru almost 40% of stage 4 of 5, it says not enough disc space to repair, unexpected error has occured...the harddrive is a Seagate 250 and has about 50% free space. Does anyone have any suggestion or have encountered this problem? I would be most appreciative of any help. Thanking you in advance.

MickeyME

A:Vista Home Premium Problem Black Screen Error

Hi Mickey,

I'm not an expert, but your problem sounds almost exactly like what happened to me last summer with my HP laptop. Only difference was, my error had something to do with winlogon.exe, I think. I was not able to do a system repair either because of errors. I ended up having to replace the hard drive. Sorry, this probably isn't much help, but it sounds like a problem with your hard drive, and you might have to replace it.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/140258/vista-home-premium-problem-black-screen-error/
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi everyone please i need your help i have samsung laptop model NP-RF working perfectly well with SSHD GB memory kaspersky internet security my problem is When i turn on my laptop it runs normally until after login screen when a black screen with white arrow cursors please in home of 64bit help,black death screen windows7 premium freeze for about seconds i can not do anything it took me about and please help,black screen of death in windows7 home premium 64bit a half minutes to fully loaded to desktop when i first please help,black screen of death in windows7 home premium 64bit bought this hard drive SSHD and installed windows with all windows updates sp and all drivers are up to date and all other programmes i haven't got this blback screen of error i don't know how i got it i fully scanned my laptop with kaspersky internet security anti malware antispyware no problem please help,black screen of death in windows7 home premium 64bit found from any of these softwares but when i turned off the laptop it took seconds very fast if i want to format and reinstall windows and all the updates how can i be sure that i will never get the black screen of death again i went and start searching using google pcadvisor seven forum and other forums about the black screen error still nothing worked i am still getting the black screen of death i hope to hear from you very soon my kindest regards habs habs

A:please help,black screen of death in windows7 home premium 64bit

Hi see if working down this list will help,
Troubleshooting for win-7,
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/220165-troubleshooting-steps-windows-7-a.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/321300-please-help-black-screen-death-windows7-home-premium-64bit.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi all I have been using my Vista Premium machine which I bought month ago without any problems until today I tried to boot the machine this morning and it booted to the quot loading windows vista quot screen and then the screen freezes boot a screen on Vista to Home Premium black turns black and it freezes with no hard drive acrivity I left it for minutes before turning it off and restarting It happened again on a second boot and I noted that the mouse and keyboard had no power when it froze I tried to boot to the premium disc and use startup repair which found nothing but offered to do a restore to a previous point I agreed it restored and restarted Same problem again So I restarted it and booted into safe mode without a problem I tried to boot again and it failed Any ideas of what to do It just seems like Vista Home Premium freezes to a black screen on boot a really wierd problem I also noted that my router didn t have a light for the cable connected to my NIC when it froze I haven t changed any hardware since I bought the machine Q Quad Core ghz mhz ram gig hdd GTS I am running the newest beta nvidia drivers and will try to uninstall that when I boot into safe mode fingers crossed but the loss of power to the keyboard and mouse are disconcerting They are both USB devices so I can also try to boot with just the kb and mouse plugged in The two updates my system had before this problem were MS updates of Outlook Junk Filter and a driver update for my network card that looked wierd but I installed it Any help would be greatly appreciated does anyone have any ideas nbsp

A:Vista Home Premium freezes to a black screen on boot

I've taken the PC back to the store under warranty as i'm pretty certain it's a hardware fault.. probably the motherboard.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-home-premium-freezes-to-a-black-screen-on-boot.626428/
Relevancy 55.47%

for the last several months I have had a problem with my screen going black and the tower beeping. Started after I installed update for Nvidia(hope that is right). Restored to a point before update was installed and have not re-installed the update. Seemed to help for a while. Then screen started going black and tower beeping at first when computer was idle but now while we are using it. Took it to computer repair guy who said had viruses and cleaned it up. Was good for about a week then same thing happened again. Took it back to computer guy and he said he couldn't find anything wrong. Now it is getting worse and happening more frequently. Also sometimes explorer stops responding and won't restart, control, alt, delete doesn't do anything. Can anybody help with this before I throw computer in garbage?

A:vista home premium-screen goes black and tower beeps.

I would install the most current driver from Nvidia's support site

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/251889/vista-home-premium-screen-goes-black-and-tower-beeps/
Relevancy 55.04%

Hello.

Just today, I turned on my computer and got the blue screen of death, so I restarted my PC. Then a black screen came up saying "Windows could not start beacuse the following file is missing or corrupt : \windows\system32\config\system."

You can attempt to repair this file by putting the winxp cd in etc...

Now when i turn on my computer there is just a black screen showing, with nothing at all on it.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks very much for your help.

A:Blue screen of death, boot problems, black screen startup

It's a nasty error that requires some persistance and resourcefullness to overcome without a clean install.

If you have a Windows CD or have the recovery console installed, you might want to have a go at these directions.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;307545

Forum example of a successful recovery here:

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=195985

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/blue-screen-of-death-boot-problems-black-screen-startup.382012/
Relevancy 54.61%

Win7 Home Premium Toshiba, at login screen it has a black background with a cursor. This happened today after my computer froze and I had to restart it. I've tried starting it in safe mode but every time I hit F8 at startup, it makes a little beeping noise and does nothing. I've tried booting it from the HDD and it's still doing the same thing. Anything that you will helps me please post.

A:Win7 Home Premium Toshiba. At login screen it is black with a cursor.

Have you tried running Startup Repair?

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ss/windows-7-startup-repair.htm

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/516293/win7-home-premium-toshiba-at-login-screen-it-is-black-with-a-cursor/
Relevancy 54.18%

Hello So on my computer something strange happens when I uninstall UxStyle It Black Post-Windows Flashing Black Screen Update UxStyle has broken my Windows install once and it has done it again The UxStyle Black Flashing Post-Windows Update Black Screen first time I kept on doing system restores to see what was the problem that made that black screen After trial and error I narrowed it down to UxStyle So I deleted Windows and installed Windows which is what I wanted in the first place Now I decided to triple-boot Windows with Vista and and it has succeeded I reinstalled UxStyle thinking it was just a problem with my old Windows install and then uninstalled it after a few days since I felt like the regular look was better I rebooted Windows and the same effect happened So I would like to know if I can get and replace those three patched DLLs with unpatched DLLs for Windows Could I just change the broken ones to have old next to them and then place the ones I get here there Also would sfc scannow work

A:UxStyle Black Flashing Post-Windows Update Black Screen

Hello lct01a, and welcome to Eight Forums.

A sfc /scannow will attempt to repair any modified or corrupted system files, so that would be a good first step.

SFC /SCANNOW Command - Run in Windows 8

http://www.eightforums.com/customization/47244-uxstyle-black-flashing-post-windows-update-black-screen.html
Relevancy 54.18%

I recently bought a HP DV9548US Notebook running Windows Vista Home Premium. Lately, when I turn the computer on it takes about 30 seconds to get to the page where I choose my account and logon with a password. The strange part that is bothering me is that it takes about 1 minute to reach the actual desktop. I've seen similar posts, but not for my Vista version. So, I know there is probably something wrong, but not sure how to approach a solution.

Any help would be appreciated.

A:Vista Home Premium - Black Screen After Logon Delay In Desktop Appearence

See if Vista Startup Repair can locate any issues: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/repair-windows-with-windows-startup-repair/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/131894/vista-home-premium-black-screen-after-logon-delay-in-desktop-appearence/
Relevancy 52.46%

Hello I am posting because my pc recently developed a bunch of problems other log and black after screen in problems Usually I can figure stuff out on my own but with this I'm just out of my element Heres a quick summary On the morning of April th my mom was on her account and everything was fine Later I had got on my account and spent the entire day trying to get a program I had bought to work correctly PowerDirector Ultra video editor After installing certain programs updates it needed to run properly and making some changes the program worked fine It wasn't until when my mom tried to log on her account that night we discovered some problems Now during the day I saw a few things that were different on my account but didn't think they were quot problems quot at the time but now I know something is not right Now black screen after log in and other problems I will be honest I made a change to my computers registry but I only changed one thing I didn't touch anything else and I exported the registry black screen after log in and other problems before doing anything you can read what registry change I made down In my full summary I am starting to think that its all a coincidence and I'm sure that its something having to do with vista that's causing this I have never liked it and in the past updates have caused major unexplainable problems before What I will do is list my problems along with any info I feel everyone needs to know to help me out After that I will post a summary of what I remember doing when I was trying to get my video editing software to work My problems as of now I have found are -All accounts except for my account get a black screen after log in during the black screen task manager works but I cant run explorer exe my account is administrator and so is my mothers but her account is one of the accounts that get the black screen -Red x on network status icon Network status unknown server execution failed My network and all I fine I can get online with no problems -All windows look different now dell dock on desktop appears at the top of the screen when I have always had it disabled Some windows like when uninstalling prgram appear as plain white a blue format Like its from the 's I know theres a word for it -When in safe mode I cant execute certain services because of privileges and what not -Windows Explorer has stopped responding a couple of times It has happend once on my account the one that works and It happens mostly when I am In safe mode I cant make it to the add remove program because windows explorer crashes and then restarts Okay heres the full summary of what changes I have made from the beginning Installed PowerDirector Ultra- requires quicktime if not PowerDirector projects wont play laggy software freezes crashes when editing audio will play but video doesn't play smoothly at all program crashes Attempted to Install Quicktime-Got this error during installation quot Quicktime for Windows There is a problem with this windows installer package A program required for this install could not be run Contact your support personnel or package vendor quot After clicking quot OK quot quicktime would be installed but the install would be broken Upon trying to uninstall the broken quicktime I got this message with a red X quot Windows Installer The Windows installer service could not be accessed This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed Contact your support personnel for assistance quot Even though I got the error quicktime would still uninstall I also Uninstalled PowerDirector I searched these errors in google and everything I seemed to read regarding this error pointed towards the Windows Installer files being corrupted On a site I found a help section with a couple different methods about fixing a corrupted Windows installer A lot of people posted saying it worked so I followed these steps method First I did did a system scan quot sfc scannow quot in the command box I ran as administr... Read more

A:black screen after log in and other problems

Run the free, bootable diagnostics from here: Initial Hardware Diagnostics
In particular, run at least one of the anti-malware tools (to ensure that your Norton hasn't been corrupted).
I suspect malware because of the behavior that you describe for explorer.exe (it comes on and then shuts down on it's own).

Create a new user account and see if that account works normally.
Backup all the user data for all profiles while you can still get into Windows.

Update all drivers and programs from the manufacturer's website (one of the most common causes for black screen errors).

http://www.vistax64.com/crashes-debugging/295922-black-screen-after-log-other-problems.html
Relevancy 52.46%

Hello I am posting because my pc recently developed a bunch of problems Usually I can figure log and black problems screen in other after stuff out on my own but with this I'm just out of my element Heres a quick summary On the morning of April th my mom was on her account and everything was fine Later I had got on my account and spent black screen after log in and other problems the entire day trying to get a program I had bought to work correctly PowerDirector Ultra video editor After installing certain programs updates it needed to run properly and making some changes the program worked fine It wasn't until when my mom tried to log on her account that night we discovered some problems Now during the day I saw a few things that were different on my account but didn't think they were quot problems quot at the time but now I know something is not right Now I will be honest I made a change to my computers registry but I only changed one thing I didn't touch anything else and I exported the registry before doing anything you can read what registry change I made down In my full summary I am starting to think that its all a coincidence and I'm sure that its something having to do with vista that's causing this I have never liked it and in the past updates have caused major unexplainable problems before What I will do is list my problems along with any info I feel everyone needs to know to help me out After that I will post a summary of what I remember doing when I was trying to get my video editing software to work My problems as of now I have found are -All accounts except for my account get a black screen after log in during the black screen task manager works but I cant run explorer exe my account is administrator and so is my mothers but her account is one of the accounts that get the black screen -Red x on network status icon Network status unknown server execution failed My network and all I fine I can get online with no problems -All windows look different now dell dock on desktop appears at the top of the screen when I have always had it disabled Some windows like when uninstalling prgram appear as plain white a blue format Like its from the 's I know theres a word for it -When in safe mode I cant execute certain services because of privileges and what not -Windows Explorer has stopped responding a couple of times It has happend once on my account the one that works and It happens mostly when I am In safe mode I cant make it to the add remove program because windows explorer crashes and then restarts Okay heres the full summary of what changes I have made from the beginning Installed PowerDirector Ultra- requires quicktime if not PowerDirector projects wont play laggy software freezes crashes when editing audio will play but video doesn't play smoothly at all program crashes Attempted to Install Quicktime-Got this error during installation quot Quicktime for Windows There is a problem with this windows installer package A program required for this install could not be run Contact your support personnel or package vendor quot After clicking quot OK quot quicktime would be installed but the install would be broken Upon trying to uninstall the broken quicktime I got this message with a red X quot Windows Installer The Windows installer service could not be accessed This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed Contact your support personnel for assistance quot Even though I got the error quicktime would still uninstall I also Uninstalled PowerDirector I searched these errors in google and everything I seemed to read regarding this error pointed towards the Windows Installer files being corrupted On a site I found a help section with a couple different methods about fixing a corrupted Windows installer A lot of people posted saying it worked so I followed these steps method First I did did a system scan quot sfc scannow quot in the command box I ran as administrator When done it said there were some files ... Read more

A:black screen after log in and other problems

Hi Welcome to TSF

ok couple of questions

Group policy? Are you running AD server ?
(i skimmed through your explanation) so have you created a new account and see same symptoms are haunting the new accounts as well ?
how about try to repair windows using windows 7 disc ?
Repair Windows 7 Using the Startup Repair Tool
make sure to backup your data before hand just in case

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/black-screen-after-log-in-and-other-problems-641308.html
Relevancy 52.46%

I have a brand new computer with flat screen. I am not even playing any games and my screen keeps going black and recovering from an error. I got this computer as a gift a week ago for my birthday and I have to tell you I am not liking Windows Vista AT ALL! I can't load MSMoney and am having all sorts of problems. What can I do about the black screen issue? Very annoying!

Relevancy 52.03%

Happened to me too, right after the first forced reboot during installation. Thank goodness I made an image of my Windows 7 install before trying to install Windows 8. I never did try an upgrade either, this happened doing a fresh install. You would think if Windows 7 installs perfectly fine on a system, Windows 8 would too.... I guess not.

Eagerly waiting for Windows 9.... LOL

A:Wow, what's with all the black screen install problems??

Water Cooling, is this PC OC ?

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/13674-wow-whats-all-black-screen-install-problems.html
Relevancy 52.03%

I black Problems screen. to escalate started this topic in the Windows Vista Forum Here is a link to that post http www bleepingcomputer com forums topic htmlOK Sorry to report this but here we go Last night I bought and registered my Pro copy of MBAM Registered it on the computer then set up and ran the program I also disabled my Ad-Aware live watch This morning I was working with my investment programs and reading the news on the net the machine stopped responding It would not respond to anything even the old control alt delete trick Everything was locked The only thing that worked was if I clicked the start button I could click on quot Shut Down quot which I did After about minutes the screen went black That was about hours ago the delay in posting here Problems escalate to black screen. is only due to family obligations Now all I have is a black screen I can see the mouse cursor but only after i move it the mouse kinda like its in sleep mode under the black screen The power button on the tower does not respond The only other thing that I did last night was to check the disc defragmentation using the Administrator Command Prompt right Problems escalate to black screen. clicked and ran as Adm It reported no bad sectors in either the D or C drive so I did not defrag I have been searching for the back up disks I made over two years ago but I must have hide them pretty good because I can t even find them Thats about it Thanks Tommy

A:Problems escalate to black screen.

Have you tried to power off the computer (take out power cord) and power it back on? Does it boot up normally if you do so?

When tapping F8 on boot up, do you see the "repair windows" option in the Advanced Boot Options Menu? Or do you have a Vista install DVD?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/374878/problems-escalate-to-black-screen/
Relevancy 52.03%

Hello, starting from about 3 weeks ago I've been having seemingly random black screens on my computer, which causes the screen to die while the computer is still on, forcing me to manually restart it. If I have some form of audio on while this happens it just turns into a looping noise. The computer has also been acting weird during start-up. At random it won't boot, but instead it stops right before the windows logo is about to appear and nothing happens.

? OS - Windows 7
? 64 bit
? This is the original OS
? Full retail
? Age of all system components: some parts are about 2 years old (CPU, mobo etc.) GPU and PSU are less than a year old
? Age of OS installation - the same age as the GPU, about 8 months

? CPU Intel i7 920
? Video Card Asus GTX 580
? MotherBoard Asus p6t-se
? Power Supply - brand & wattage

A:Black Screen, problems on startup

Couldn't find any edit button for my previous post.

Did a system health report as well as a driver verifier, got a bsod during startup after doing that. Thanks in advance for any help I might get! :)

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/black-screen-problems-on-startup-596893.html
Relevancy 52.03%

Hello... I already have Windows XP installed and would like to install Windows 7 Ultimate x86 on another hard drive (multi/dual-boot). The installation went over smoothly. When finished, the computer rebooted automatically and it tried to log into W7, but I got a black screen before anything appeared. Multiple restarts did the same thing.
When I opened Windows XP to search about the problem, the performance was reduced and when trying to access the other drive via My Computer, the second HDD was still there, but the window froze. Then I tried to repair Windows using the disk, but it seemed that Windows did not install properly and it didn't detect my hard drive when I tried to install Windows again. I also cannot go into Safe Mode. I think my hard drive is "borked". How should I proceed?

A:Black screen after boot and other problems

Hello and welcome akoz mate did you have both drives hooked up when you tried the install of 7?

Plus how have you got the BIOS set to boot from? if you go into the BIOS and go to the boot section and make the 7 hard drive as the first boot drive. Personally I would just leave the 7 running and if you are just keeping XP for data I would be getting that off of there and onto the 7 afer I had booted into 7 and then hooked up that other drive if it will take it.

You realise XP is not supported from early next year so it seems a lot of trouble to go to just to eep it running for a small time only.

Plus I see you only have 2GB RAM there mate for 7 that is really pushing your luck especially Ultimate. Did you really need Ultimate?
Anyway some system specs would be good too.
System Info - See Your System Specs

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/307579-black-screen-after-boot-other-problems.html
Relevancy 52.03%

First off excuse me if this is posted in the wrong section I'm very anxious This started happening about days ago I'd turn on the computer and this will happen It will do that the whole time the computer is on even now as im typing After around minutes of the computer being used the screen will go black the power light turns orange then come back on after around - seconds This will happen consecutively This computer is fairly old--around years and very dusty If any of the parts blew out or is not longer functioning i can completely understand that ------------------ System Information from Dxdiag ------------------ Operating System Windows XP Home Edition Build Service Pack xpsp - Language English Regional Setting English System Manufacturer Dell Inc System Model Dell black Color Problems; Screen goes DM BIOS Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version Processor Intel R Celeron R CPU GHz Memory MB RAM Page File MB used MB available Windows Dir C DDDD DirectX Version DirectX c DX Setup Parameters Not found DxDiag Version bit Unicode --------------- Display Devices --------------- Card name NVIDIA GeForce GT Display Memory MB Current Mode x bit Hz Monitor Plug and Play Monitor thank you

A:Color Problems; Screen goes black

bump... very urgent

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/color-problems-screen-goes-black-470227.html
Relevancy 52.03%

Hello. I have a Dell Dimension 2400. Recently I wiped the hard drive clean and put windows xp service pack 2 on it. It had no virus protection and when i tried downloading a torrent for basic software it stopped booting. I should also mention that i upgraded the video card but it was workin correctly before the download. Now when i start up my computer it starts running for 10 seconds and then turns off. Then when it starts up again nothing shows on teh screen... ever. No Dell screen or BIOS screen even if i use F2 or F12. It could be an issue with the video card but i have no idea. Help Please?

A:Black Screen. Startup problems

Hello mcspargeslarg

Run the Dell diagnostics

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/black-screen-startup-problems-464633.html
Relevancy 52.03%

When i try Black / screen Video Problems to put on a video it does matter what sort of file it is The video player just show a black screen but the audio works just fine I ve tried to install all sort of players codecs Drivers but i still cant make it work The graphic card is Geforce Gs There is one way i can get it work Video Problems / Black screen and it s when i press Ctrl alt del when it s playing the quot black screen quot then i close the player with much lagg If im lucky it works next time i open the file Video Problems / Black screen in the player otherwise computer restart or just Video Problems / Black screen same as before I know it works cause i did just reinstall windows the otherday and it did work fine for a while until i installed some programs then it didnt work again I did uninstall all programs and suddenly it did work again Then i did reboot my computer and it didnt work again i uninstalled all programs that i thought could be a problem but it still doesnt work If someone got any ideas what it is please tell Please help meee nbsp

A:Video Problems / Black screen

Any1 got a clue?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/video-problems-black-screen.74402/
Relevancy 51.17%

I have a feeling this is in the wrong section so if it Up (Black Performance Problems Screen/ect) and Start is please move it and feel free to yell at Start Up (Black Screen/ect) and Performance Problems me Im having two problems with my computer the first which has been going on for the last months is Im having a horrible time with my computer latly It is an acer laptop Aspire series with windows XP This has been going on for a few months but latly i have found my laptop freezes up and becomes impossible to use For some reason whenever i attempt to run Start Up (Black Screen/ect) and Performance Problems a single program IE Firefox MSN photoshop ect i have the whole thing begin to freeze were my mouse refuses to move and i cannot do anything My only choice is usualy to end the proccess Ctr alt Del I notice this has been happening more and more Everything just to seems to have slowed down Before i could run multiple programs firefox - tabs open msn and even photoshop CS all at once and have very minimal problems I have tried reformating my harddrive multple times Reseting it to the factory defualts which leaves me with the bare minum on my computer and yet i still have these problems is there anything that i can do to fix this is this XP or hardware should i look at getting a new computer or My second problem Which is a brand new problem that has accorred on every bootup within the is past days everytime i boot up my computer it goes from the windows black loading screen were the green thingies go back and forth for seconds normal THEN this never happened before it goes to a black sceen with my mouse which i can move for a good - mins then finnaly it goes to my welcome screen for another mins then it FINNALY gets into my desktop and takes another - mins just to load everything Finnaly by the time its ready to use a good - mins have past And sense im in class mins results in me loosing out on the key parts of a lecture taking notes This Start Up (Black Screen/ect) and Performance Problems wasnt like this a few days ago im not sure if this xp doing this or is it my hardware or could it be something to with the software Sorry i am a complete noob at this lol Should i reformat my harddrive or is there a way to fix it without having to resort to that or is it my hardware that is causing this if soshould i look at getting a new computer or well thank you for reading all that lol thanks and once again if this is in the wrong section yell at me D nbsp

A:Start Up (Black Screen/ect) and Performance Problems

Try a Windows repair... The laptop should have the utilities to do an OS restore

I would have put this in th Mobile Computing Forum... but no biggy

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/start-up-black-screen-ect-and-performance-problems.92460/
Relevancy 51.17%

I have a geforce 7900 GS, spec's are 2 gigs of ram, AMD 4600, VISTA 32 bit. It always worked, played oblivion and half life. Then I just stopped playing video games, and one day I came home...and my computer screen was pixelated, all multicolored...it overheated some how...when I wasn't even on the computer. Took the card out, let it cool down, put it back in, and it worked fine (didn't try any games). Then a few days later the same thing happened...but it DIDN'T work again. After trying to clean it, I put it back in...and I get a black screen when I boot up. I hear all the sounds, just no video. Is my card fried? Or is the connection just bad?

A:Video Card problems: black screen?

It could be your psu went bad. Or the card.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/video-card-problems-black-screen.87671/
Relevancy 51.17%

Hello everyone!

I don't know much about computers but i'm an excellent learner!

so...

I need some assistance with my computer. My computer would be running just fine, then beep once or twice and then freeze, Then it would run fine and just beep and turn off Now my computer will just show a black screen when i start it up. I don't know what kind of mother board I have or video card but my computer was running on windows 7 torrent so maybe that could of been the problem? please help

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/video-card-problems-black-screen-help.145442/
Relevancy 51.17%

Dear friends

I have experiend many times this following error:

Problem (1)

some times I am working and suddenly my screen goes black..
a black layer covering all screen and showing a small dialog box in the middle saying: (No inputs are supported) and this small box moving gdarually to up right corner and keep moving.. I still hear the TV sounds on, jusr a black layer cover all screen, I cant get back to see anything unless I turn off "unplug" and tutn on again..
almost 2 years I am experiencing this,

problem (2)

The time changes, 2 or 3 hours.. sometimes inadvance, sometimes back..
this error started happening about 2 or 3 months ago..

it's really getting me confused.. anyone have experienced or heard about such?

my computer is: Acer
LCD 19"

Many thanks guys for all the nice support always..

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-problems-time-adjust-and-black-screen.881695/
Relevancy 51.17%

When I try to start Windows normally, a BSoD tells me to run chkdsk /f which I can't do because when I try to launch startup repair, it loads and then just shows me a black screen and a slightly larger than usual cursor which I can move. Running in Safe Mode also gives me the same BSoD. I tried booting my Windows installation disc but I still get the same black screen and movable cursor. I have minor experience with fixing startup problems but sadly, I have no idea of how to fix this. I will be happy to provide any information needed. Reformatting is not an option because my really important projects are there and I can never recreate them. Salvaging my data is not really an option because I don't have external hard drives or anywhere to put them. Please help!

A:BSoD and black screen with cursor problems

I'm sure you've already copied and pasted your question here...

BSoD, black screen with cursor Windows 7 - Cursor - Laptops & Notebooks

I wouldn't recommend asking the same question on multiple forums as you can get completely different answers.
I was going to post there but we'll stick to this one.

To get started follow the Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Posting Instructions

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/334514-bsod-black-screen-cursor-problems.html
Relevancy 51.17%

I cannot get my computer to boot. It just goes to a black screen with the mouse pointer. It will not open in safe mode. I tried booting from XP CD but it goes to the same black screen/w mouse pointer.

I already have backups of all my files and want to just reinstall windows XP but I cannot get it to boot from disc?!!!

I took the hard drive and put it in another computer as slave, I could access my files that way. But then I removed the other computers hard drive and put in this one as its only drive and it did the same thing.

It is a SATA drive if that makes any difference.

A:OS problems; black screen with mouse pointer

BUMP... Do you need any more specific details?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/os-problems-black-screen-with-mouse-pointer.869888/
Relevancy 51.17%

Here is my problem I built this system months ago I have just moved from the USA to Australia After arriving here and unpacking it the computer booted up fine and ran for several hours Then the screen went black and monitor turned off When ever 256 screen MEG- 6600 problems GeForce Black I booted it got to the windows GeForce 6600 256 MEG- Black screen problems XP is loading bar then goes black and monitor is in what seems to be standby mode I removed the card AGP meg Geforce -Aopen brand and put in an old Geforce MX which works fine Later tried newest drivers with and then reverted to old ones The last thing that happend is it seemed to be fine except it flickered to a black screen more than normal while installing older drivers After I got it all up and working tried a game and it loaded then rebooted It likes to flash to a black screen back and forth on the desktop as well Not sure what to do at this point AMD GIGs of Dual Channel RAM Aopen MEG Maxtor GIG drives SATA IDE SONY Dual Layer DVD Burner Good actual power supply not one of those ones that come in cheapo cases Yes I switched to proper voltage when i moved to AUS nbsp

A:GeForce 6600 256 MEG- Black screen problems

My guess would be power supply gone wacky.

Can you test your 6600 in another machine?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/geforce-6600-256-meg-black-screen-problems.46089/
Relevancy 51.17%

Following a Windows 10 update I started having boot issues. Initially it would take 5 or 10 minutes. Sometimes 30 minutes and then for a week all fine again. I did a Toshiba Service Station update 2 weeks ago and now its worse. I was leaving the computer on all the time, but accidently let the battery go flat ..Was able to boot once this week which opened directly to the Toshiba Service Station,but i made the wrong choice and it closed again. Now back to a black screen for a week.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?93685-Black-screen-and-boot-problems-for-over-2-months
Relevancy 51.17%

I have been encountering recurring problems with my PC lately.
There are persistent BSODs and black screens where it cuts off everything including sound... just a black screen so I have to hit the reset button on my PC to boot it up again.

I took apart the PC and rebuilt it from scratch and the problems still occur.
All info required is attached to this post.

Regards.

Motherboard:

? OS - Windows 7 (x64)
? What was original installed OS on system? Windows 7
? Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) or full retail version (YOU purchased it from retailer)? Full Retail Version (Purchased)
? Age of system (hardware): 1 year
? Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS? Re-installed OS a month ago

? CPU - AMD Phenom II X2 555
? Video Card - ATI Radeon HD 4250
? MotherBoard - ASUS M4A88T-M
? Power Supply - CiT 700W Power Supply Unit

? System Manufacturer - Custom Build

A:BSOD Issues and Black Screen problems!

Where did you get your copy of windows 7 from? How was it activated?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/bsod-issues-and-black-screen-problems-692625.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Hi, I've a EliteDesk 800 G1 SFF Energy Star with 2 ZR2330W in dualscreen setup.I've connected the screens with a standard hp DisplayPort cable. The problem i have is when the computer boots/wakes up it doesn't recognize one or both screens.The stay black and wil only turn on by cycling the power on the screens at the same time.If i cycle the power on the screens one by one; the other screen wil go black. Is there a solution to this problem? Kind regards.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Video-Display-and-Touch/EliteDesk-800-G1-and-2X-ZR2330W-Black-screen-problems/td-p/5650908
Relevancy 51.17%

So this problem has been reoccurring again and again...
I have been having boot problems with my laptop about 2 weeks ago with black screen
and no cursor as well as "a disk read error" and sometimes a boot manager error Status: 0xc000000e9
with the error screen frozen and requiring me to manually shut down. Some times being able to access recovery options though with long loading times and sometimes freezing, however none of them helped. After many tries I decided to do try a system
restore which managed to fix it now until today....
I'm having the same problems as before except now there is sometimes a flashing underscore
I was thinking this might have something to do with the recent windows update causing problems
KB2823324. I haven't had any problems at all with my computer recently after the restore which led me to think that I had fixed it.
Thanks in advance ?

A:Cannot boot laptop, black screen and other problems

Read through and complete these steps - Troubleshooting Windows 7 Failure to Boot

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/289244-cannot-boot-laptop-black-screen-other-problems.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Hi, I've a EliteDesk 800 G1 SFF Energy Star with 2 ZR2330W in dualscreen setup.I've connected the screens with a standard hp DisplayPort cable. The problem i have is when the computer boots/wakes up it doesn't recognize one or both screens.The stay black and wil only turn on by cycling the power on the screens at the same time.If i cycle the power on the screens one by one; the other screen wil go black. Is there a solution to this problem? Kind regards.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/EliteDesk-800-G1-and-2X-ZR2330W-Black-screen-problems/td-p/5650908
Relevancy 51.17%

Hello everybody. I need really help. It's driving me crazy.

Since 2 days ago I am having problems when I connect something to the usb device. When I connect my ipod or my flash drive the screen turns completely blacck and I have to turn the computer off to get rid of it.
Secondly, when I start the computer and the device is already plugged, it says that it's an unkown device, it does not recognize it!! What a pain!! Can somebody help me please!!!

But what makes me mad is that the usb port recognizes my mouse and camera... What is going on?

Thanks
Tati

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/usb-problems-black-screen-unkown-device.717719/
Relevancy 51.17%

Hi I am running Windows Vista Home Premium on my Dell laptop Recently my laptop screen has been suddenly going blank by itself When the laptop runs fine the screen suddenly runs into red amp black strips amp then turns totally black After numerous attempts of restarting the machine sometimes I succeed in getting the laptop back to normal This has been happening quite often recently This actually started a few months back After wandering through different forums and suggested solutions I think I correctly found out that the problem was not with the screen as I could see the same problem with display even after Laptop by rebooting often black/off - goes screen problems itself connecting my laptop to a TV screen As suggested on one of the forums lost the link I installed an updated nvidia display driver That seemed to help for a few days However the problem is back amp occurs severely more often I have very important two years worth research work on this laptop amp can't afford to lose it Does anyone have any idea of what's going wrong here Can anybody help me resolve this problem and bring my laptop back on track Basic system information - x -bit - Original installed OS - OEM - System is years old - OS installation is years old Thank you Shirish

A:Laptop screen often goes black/off by itself - problems rebooting

Well we have a rule about double posting, but not really sure about quadruple posting, but lets assume its three too many.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/287095-laptop-screen-often-goes-black-off-itself-problems-rebooting.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Hey as i've been reading through some threads at this forum to solve my problem i can see that you guys really know your thing here So i'm giving this a shot since i havn't got windows to work So i'm trying to do a clean install of windows x from XP that im currently running i've burnt the iso down on a dvd and it problems (Black installation Clean screen) boots fine and the installation runs normally I'm getting through all the steps within the installation when it at last says something about that it's done Clean installation problems (Black screen) and it's going to restart for the first use of windows Now i'm getting my problem The computer starts up and goes through the memory testing and such but just as it's about to start windows i'm getting a black screen and my monitor says quot No signal - blabla quot and seconds later it restarts itself If i don't do anything now my computer loops this restarting on and on So i've tried to install it with removing my two mb RAMS and only have two gb of the same brand Didn't help So does anyone have any suggestions or help I appreciate Anything i can get thanks

A:Clean installation problems (Black screen)

I assume the message is "no video signal" or something like that?

Do you have both onboard video and a separate video card?

If you have both, try switching your monitor to the other one.

Can you get into the BIOS (probably with F2 or delete key early in the boot process)?

If you have both onboard and separate video, you might need to get into the BIOS and choose the correct video source.

Is your video cable snugly fitted?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/37898-clean-installation-problems-black-screen.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Hi all,

This is my first post so fingers crossed i'm in the right place. I run a fairly basic Dell machine with Vista Home Basic. Here is my problem:

I enter my user account password(i am the only user on the computer) and the desktop loads up.

About 50% of the time the desktop loads and then goes black. I have no mouse cursor and the Ctrl+Alt etc combinations do nothing. The monitor stays on which suggests that the computer is still sending some sort of signal so i don't know if this is a display problem or something more sinister. I have tried to follow advice on different forums and have yet to fix the issue.

I changed the desktop wallpaper, I removed and then re-installed the display drivers and neither of these suggestions helped. Is it possible that it has something to do with the power settings? Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated.

A:Desktop Problems - Blank/Black Screen

Sounds like a driver problem - but it could be the file system

SFC -System File Checker -Instructions

Click on Start > All Programs > Accessories

Right-click on the Command Prompt entry

Select Run as Administrator and accept the UAC prompt - the ElevatedCommand Prompt window should pop up.

At the Command prompt, type

SFC /SCANNOW

and hit the Enter key

Wait for the scan to finish - make a note of any error messages -and then reboot.

Copy the CBS.log file created(C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log) to your desktop (you can't manipulate itdirectly) and then compress the copy and upload it to your SkyDrive Publicfolder (http://skydrive.live.com ) and post a link to it so that I can take a look.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/299308-desktop-problems-blank-black-screen.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Okay, I have an nVidia GeForce 6600 and running Win7 Ultimate.

When it works, it works fine. But if I leave the machine for more than 20 minutes, untouched, the display goes black and it locks the screen up, making me reboot.

Which leads to my second problem: About 7 times out of 10 in booting, the display will go black after about two seconds at every step. So after the initial memory screen, it goes black and when the password screen comes up, it goes black. I can put the password in and it will "cycle" to Windows but it stays black.

A:screen goes black locks up and reboot problems

The 20 minutes during which the system is idle, Windows turns off both the display and the hard disk. Go to start menu and type in "power", then click Power Options. Make a new plan or change the default one by clicking "change plan settings". Click "Change advanced power settings" and turn off these two problematic options, then see if there are any changes.

If not, try and get the newest drivers from nVidia if you don't have them already, 'cause this sounds like a GPU issue to me.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/111279-screen-goes-black-locks-up-reboot-problems.html
Relevancy 50.74%

Ok, so I'm running on an hp pavillion vf52 monitor on windows 7 64 bit (Geforce GTS 250), and every time I try to play LFD2 or Mafia 2, the screen goes black and a message pops up:
Out of Range
Set Monitor to:
1024 x 768 @ 60 Hz.

I've tried almost everything and I just can't fix it! Please help ASAP

Relevancy 50.74%

So I fixed the black screen of death, by unselected a few startup programs(cyberlink services) and disabled UAC as well. I am now able to view all my files, but everything looks like windows 98(I tried to change the theme, but i can't find any now). I can't do a bunch of things(log onto my wireless).

I was wondering how I can fix this, I was thinking of repairing vista startup, unless there is something easier?

When I run msconfig-> services, i hardly have any services(i have 2, compared to about 25 before. I have 0 when i click hide all microsoft programs) which is weird because I only stopped two.

Any help would be very excellent.

edit: it actually looks like its running in safe mode(without the safe mode text on each corner), but i have selected normal start up.

A:Startup problems after fixing Black Screen of death

Hello sp00ks222 welcome to TSF

It sounds as if you selected 'Selective Startup' which allows only the very basic drivers to startup.

Try this

1. Select 'Start' and type 'MSConfig', Press enter

2. The panel should open on the 'General' tab, Select the check box next to 'Normal Startup'

3. Select the 'Boot' tab and make sure nothing is checked in this tab

4. Select 'Apply' and then 'Exit With Restart'

5. Once the machine is rebooted you should be good to go :)

You may have to go into the startup tab later and add on programs you want to start at boot.

Regards

Craig

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/startup-problems-after-fixing-black-screen-of-death-376860.html
Relevancy 50.74%

Hello.
I just set up a second monitor for my PC but it isn't working properly. I have 2 VGA ports on the back of the PC to which the monitors are plugged in. The second monitor isn't in the device and printers list, not recognised in the Change Screen Resolution settings and Detect doesn't find it. The current monitor that works is an LG and the one not working is an Asus. I connected the second monitor before booting the PC and it doesn't work.

A:Dual Monitor problems - Black screen and unrecognised

2 VGA ? Gfx cards don't usually have 2 VGA. I'm guessing you are plugging one monitor into the onboard VGA and the 2nd into the gfx card. The usual method for dual screen is to use 2 sockets on the card eg 2 * DVI, DVI + VGA, DVI + HDMI etc.

http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/363728-dual-monitor-problems-black-screen-unrecognised.html
Relevancy 50.74%

I'm not sure if this is in the right area or not I had my laptop on and running fine for a few hours accumulatively because I did put it in is Laptop having up turning on. problems come black comes screen-nothing on; Lights sleep mode ocasionally last night and then one time I turned it off and when I turned it back on it lit up but nothing came up Laptop is having problems turning on. Lights come on; black screen-nothing comes up on the screen I turned it back off by holding down the power button and decided to let it cool down Later I turned it back on and it was working fine seemingly and then it would quot turn off quot because the screen went black but the lights were still on Then it would refuse to turn on for a while I let it set overnight and I turned it on and it seemed to work again but then it did that thing I mentioned where the screen goes black but the lights are still on and it won't turn back on now Well it will turn on because the lights will be on but nothing will show on the screen I also think there might be a chance there is a virus on it My alert keeps popping up and telling me that there is but it says it's quarantined and infected or something I don't really know how to explain it

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/laptop-is-having-problems-turning-on-lights-come-on-black-screen-nothing-comes-up-309008.html
Relevancy 50.74%

I'm getting the black screen with movable cursor or KSOD Black Screen Of Death on Windows (Black Vista Black Of Death) Screen screen or with cursor movable KSOD Vista Black screen with movable cursor or KSOD (Black Screen Of Death) Vista What happens The system powers on POST BIOS Start windows normally Windows splash screen - gt Black screen with movable cursor or KSOD (Black Screen Of Death) Vista Black screen lt - What I can do I CAN enter BIOS and have reset the default settings I CAN press F to give me advanced boot options but all options have the same result apart from quot Repair your computer quot I CAN load the quot Repair your computer quot option I CAN move the mouse around the screen I CAN press shift times to get a dialogue to appear but no control panel I CAN press the power button to shut down the system I CAN start up in safe Black screen with movable cursor or KSOD (Black Screen Of Death) Vista mode which is exactly the same but with lower resolution I CANNOT seem to do anything else However there are workarounds to accessing the hard drive I CAN use MSDaRT or the System Recovery Tool I CAN use the hard drive as an external USB hard drive on another machine What I've tried Startup Repair - Could not detect a problem System Restore - No restore points Windows Complete PC Restore - A valid restore location could not be found Windows Memory Diagnostics - No errors SFC Scan - No problems Stand alone system sweeper - No problems Hotfix Uninstall - Nothing to uninstall I also COULD do a partial or full quot Packard Bell Recovery quot which is essentially like reinstalling windows I DO NOT want to do this I'm sure this is just a simple software issue really and I would rather avoid a reinstall Can anyone recommend what steps I should try to resolve this Thanks

A:Black screen with movable cursor or KSOD (Black Screen Of Death) Vista

I think I saw this post aver at Toms but I also think you gave some additional info.
I think what may be going on it during the switch from the windows low res video driver to the driver used in normal mode.

Since you can get into safe mode try to go to device manager.
Start|right click computer|properties|device manager.
Look in the display adapter.
Is there a yellow exclamation mark there?
Or is it showing the video that you know should be there?
Please post the video that the machine uses and or the PB model.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/black-screen-with-movable-cursor-or-ksod-black-screen-of-death-vista-410636.html
Relevancy 50.74%

Okay here's a little background information Bought my PC in Have had to replace video cards since i've bought it One was replaced under warranty the other I bought Since I purchased my PC the only parts splash mode. safe screen acces Black Unable Windows to screen. after I have replaced are My video card cards later i'm on my most recent one EVGA Nvidia GT http www evga com articles asp I also upgraded my PSU to an Enermax Pro w http www directron com epr awt html OS Windows XP SP Motherboard ASUS P BW-LA http h www hp com ewfrf wc d name c I mainly use my Black screen after Windows splash screen. Unable to acces safe mode. computer for gaming after my first video card died i was sent a beefier card http reviews cnet com graphics-car tag mncol lst after that my PC was no longer under warranty so I had to buy my next cards my self My problem I Black screen after Windows splash screen. Unable to acces safe mode. left my computer on while making some food I had world of warcraft opened When I finished making food I got back to my computer and moved my mouse to get it out of sleep mode I run a dual display set up once my monitors loaded up one of the screens was pure white and the other screen was black I was forced to hold the power button down to turn off my PC From there Black screen after Windows splash screen. Unable to acces safe mode. on out everytime I boot my computer up I get my PC's loading screen which i'm able to acces BIOS or system restore after my PC's loading screen I get the windows splash screen after that my monitor is pure black The PC is still on and running but there's no display I plugged my monitor into my onboard and enabled it through BIOS same thing I originally thought this was a video card problem but after going through my onboard i realized this isn't the case Anytime i try to run windows normally the black screen happens wether its through my video card or through my onboard So my next idea was to start in safe mode Unfortunatley that doesn't work either It loads up all my system drivers then stops after windows system giveio sys Could this be an OS problem Maybe my mobo is shot and that's why i've been burning video cards cards in years is a little ridiculous Should I reformat Should I replace my mobo Please help Heres my PC's exact specs keep in mind i replaced my video card and PSU as mentioned before in this post http h www hp com ewfrf wc p roduct Please help me money is tight and I can't afford to be guessing and replacing parts thank you Joseph

A:Black screen after Windows splash screen. Unable to acces safe mode.

bump, please help :(

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/black-screen-after-windows-splash-screen-unable-to-acces-safe-mode-383474.html
Relevancy 50.74%

Hello,

I have been having this problem since a week or so. Broni has helped me in malware forum to rule out malware as responsible. My machine is clean and I was refered here for further help.

Here is my problem:

At boot-time, I see windows XP load screen with the progress bar, the progress bar advances to the end and then, the screen turns pitch black and all is see is an arrow cursor I can move around. I thought until yesterday that this was a permanent freeze-up, but if I wait, say, 6 minutes, the black screen disappears and windows then starts normally.

Last week, problem was intermittent, it now happens all the time.

Windows boot-up was fine before.

Please help me.

A:Windows load screen at boot, looong black screen, then normal startup

I had this tons of times with my old XP PC. It is normal if you have a lot of files on the HDD and you have little RAM. How much RAM do you have? What is the capacity of the HDD? And do you have the Windows XP disc? Would you be willing to upgrade the RAM and/or the OS if we must resort to that? Or would you rather just buy a new PC?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-load-screen-at-boot-looong-black-screen-then-normal-startup.191868/
Relevancy 50.74%

Hello,

I am encountering an issue of when the Dell optiplex 755 boots up, it boots through the Windows XP logo just fine, once it tries to transition between the logo and loading the system up, it just shows a black screen and nothing else happens. I tried using a bootable Windows XP flash drive to repair the system files and it loads the Windows XP setup ok but when it runs through all of the commands on the bottom of the screen and the last one says "Starting Windows" , it takes me to a blue screen (screenshot below). I have HIRENS and have done a lot of the chkdsk commands to fix the files and everything comes back ok. I tried to clone the hard drive with the same exact hard drive and still the same issue. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks for your help in advance.

A:Windows XP gets past the logo screen and then turns the screen black/bluescreen

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN130053/EN#Error , scroll down to section on STOP 7B errors.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/586463/windows-xp-gets-past-the-logo-screen-and-then-turns-the-screen-blackbluescreen/
Relevancy 50.74%

Hello everybody today my laptop has become blind Let me explain My laptop was purchased in Specs Alienware screen windows logs startup black. stays on screen, but Garbled m Dual nvidia go Dual core gigs of ram gb harddrive So here's what happened today I Garbled startup screen, windows logs on but screen stays black. was watch s movie on netflix when suddenly my screen goes black Though I had crashed but my laptop was still on and the sound was still going restarted and the initial screen was slightly pixellated and garbled Which has now made my Garbled startup screen, windows logs on but screen stays black. laptop permanent garbled and pixely After the windows logo My screen goes black but I am still hear the windows start up sound Garbled startup screen, windows logs on but screen stays black. I found that I am able to click on some music files on my desktop that are able to play so this is a video issue I reboot in safe mode which works this time figure to disable and uninstall the videocard drivers I restart and I'm able to use my pc somewhat normally still garbled Reinstalled the nvidia drivers then halfway through says error install failed or something it happen really fast then crashed tried restarting atleast times in safe mode but it freezes up after it tries to load partition windows system drivers mup sys All of the other options for start up even last settings to work the screen goes black after the windows logo I have tried tinkering with the bios but it doesn't help Its basically being blind using a computer So I'm wondering if there is anyway to possibly blindly open up command prompt and possibly disable or uninstall the drivers from there I'm about sure that the drivers are just corrupt because they were not able to finish and removing them would do the trick I know this is kinda long but I would greatly appreciate any help or input Thanks

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/garbled-startup-screen-windows-logs-on-but-screen-stays-black-565214.html
Relevancy 50.74%

When I'm connected to the Internet, I get the black screen with the Windows XP logo flitting about if I've been innactive for 2 mins. Can I correct it?

A:Solved: Screen keeps going back to Black screen with Windows XP icon keeps coming up

Only when connected to the internet?

Right click empty desktop.
Properties>Screensaver - Check what you have it set to.

Monitor Power.
Power schemes>always on.
Turn off monitor>never.
System standby>never.
Turn off hard disks>never.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-screen-keeps-going-back-to-black-screen-with-windows-xp-icon-keeps-coming-up.950219/
Relevancy 50.74%

When I start windows normally, it get color distortion like this http://puu.sh/NXuz
And then it black screens. In safe mode everything is okay. The things that use same resources http://puu.sh/NXtn
Here is cbs log ( i can't read it)
http://www.mediafire.com/?6hrb8t0qhkdmbbr

Thanks for any help
I repeat, in safe mode it works normal, so i suspect driver clash.

A:Windows 7 Colors distortion and black screen upon welcome screen (pictures and logs)

Update or reinstall the video drivers.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-7-colors-distortion-and-black-screen-upon-welcome-screen-pictures-and-logs.1063554/
Relevancy 50.74%

Malware attack from Ukash screen block UK Police Ran AVG in safe mode and screen block was quarantined In normal mode I emptied AVG virus vault stupid and was reinfected Ran AVG again safe mode quarantined from recycle bin All seemed ok and locked screen was disabled in normal mode Not Black Screen UKash Windows Screen in Resulted Authentic Block but repeat scans to check for remnants kept getting stuck MBAM ran for hours overnight and didn't complete as frozen forced restart On restart black screen with Windows Build The copy of Windows is not genuine No toolbar start menu or UKash Screen Block Resulted in Black Screen Windows Not Authentic other functionality in normal mode Ran HitmanPro in safe mode cookies found and advised that v fo dat is missing No virus found Ran Avast in safe UKash Screen Block Resulted in Black Screen Windows Not Authentic mode wouldn't complete but said a threat was found Froze PC Both now removed leaving just AVG my paid provider active Sony Vaio laptop preintstalled with Windows Have key but not disc Run and update AVG daily Hoping someone can please help me DDS Ver - - - NTFS AMD NETWORK Internet Explorer BrowserJavaVersion Run by Nicky at on - - Microsoft Windows Home Premium GMT SP Windows Defender Disabled Outdated D DDC A- F- fae- E -DA C ACF Running Processes C Windows system lsm exe C Windows system svchost exe -k DcomLaunch C Windows system svchost exe -k RPCSS C Windows System svchost exe -k LocalServiceNetworkRestricted C Windows system svchost exe -k netsvcs C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalService C Windows system svchost exe -k NetworkService C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalSystemNetworkRestricted C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalServiceNoNetwork C Windows system svchost exe -k NetworkServiceNetworkRestricted C Windows Explorer EXE C Windows system ctfmon exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Windows system wbem wmiprvse exe C Windows System cscript exe Pseudo HJT Report uStart Page hxxp www google co uk uSearch Bar Preserve BHO ContributeBHO Class C DC - - A A- D-C C - C Program Files x Adobe Adobe Contribute CS contributeieplugin dll BHO AVG Do Not Track EEF-CB F- F-AFEB-D E A B BA - C Program Files x AVG AVG avgdtiex dll BHO AVG Safe Search CA F - F E- B -A E- E E C C - C Program Files x AVG AVG avgssie dll BHO Groove GFS Browser Helper - C - D -B F - BBC D A E - C Program Files x Microsoft Office Office GROOVEEX DLL BHO Java tm Plug-In SSV Helper BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files x Java jre bin ssv dll BHO CIESpeechBHO Class D F C - E - BD - - AC FDF - C Program Files x Bluetooth Suite IEPlugIn dll BHO Windows Live ID Sign-in Helper D - C - ABF- ECC- C - C Program Files x Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WindowsLiveLogin dll BHO Google Toolbar Helper AA ED - DD- d - -CF F - C Program Files x Google Google Toolbar GoogleToolbar dll BHO Adobe PDF Conversion Toolbar Helper AE CD -E - f- - EE - C Program Files x Adobe Acrobat Acrobat AcroIEFavClient dll BHO Office Document Cache Handler B F A - E - -BA - B E FF - C Program Files x Microsoft Office Office URLREDIR DLL BHO Bing Bar Helper d ce e -f a- - e- dc f c f - BHO Java tm Plug-In SSV Helper DBC -A - b-BC - C C C A - C Program Files x Java jre bin jp ssv dll TB Adobe PDF -D C - - FA - E EAAC - C Program Files x Adobe Acrobat Acrobat AcroIEFavClient dll TB Google Toolbar C B - - D - B - A CD F - C Program Files x Google Google Toolbar GoogleToolbar dll TB Adobe PDF -D C - - FA - E EAAC - C Program Files x Adobe Acrobat Acrobat AcroIEFavClient dll TB Contribute Toolbar BDDE -E A - -B E- B B FC - C Program Files x Adobe Adobe Contribute CS contributeieplugin dll TB Bing Bar dcb -df - - - fa b f - TB Google Toolbar C B - - d - B - A CD F - C Program Files x Google Google Toolbar GoogleToolbar dll EB Adobe PDF EC BE- - C -A -BEB D A B - C Program Files x Adobe Acrobat Acrobat AcroIEFavClient dll ... Read more

A:UKash Screen Block Resulted in Black Screen Windows Not Authentic

Hi NickyJane,

We'll start with ComboFix. If it doesn't take care of the remaining issues, AVG may have caused more problems than if it had left it alone.

Download ComboFix from here

* IMPORTANT- Save ComboFix.exe to your Desktop

====================================================

Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications as they will interfere with our tools and the removal. If you are unsure how to do this, please refer to our sticky topic How to disable your security applications

====================================================

Double click on combofix.exe & follow the prompts.

When finished, it shall produce a log for you. Please include the C:\ComboFix.txt in your next reply for further review.

NOTE: If you encounter a message "illegal operation attempted on registry key that has been marked for deletion" and no programs will run - please just reboot and that will resolve that error.

I will return this evening - we'll continue then.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f50/ukash-screen-block-resulted-in-black-screen-windows-not-authentic-702752.html
Relevancy 50.74%

Hey Ok well it starts black windows of drives, both loading Two copy screen with XP, after hard screen same off with me managing to either corrupt windows or the hard drive on my original hard drive and when ever I try Two hard drives, both with same copy of XP, black screen after windows loading screen to boot off there I get to the windows loading screen with logo and little green sliding bar and then it restarts and keeps doing that Tried booting in safe mode and from disc but I cannot do anything with it in terms of booting So Two hard drives, both with same copy of XP, black screen after windows loading screen what Two hard drives, both with same copy of XP, black screen after windows loading screen I decided to do was get a second hard drive and install XP onto there and then plug my second hard drive in and see if I can transfer files off there to the new one I got XP installed fine on it but when it came to booting with both hard drives plugged in I came to problems I set which hard drive is the priority one in the bios as there is no pins on the back of this new hard drive and it got to the windows loading screen with the new installation i know this because the loading screens are different for both hard drives After the loading screen my monitors go black and nothing happens Windows loads fine when it is just the new hard drive plugged in even if the old hard drive is plugged in and set to disabled it goes to the black screen If anyone is able to give some advice on what to do or what could be wrong I would be really grateful Thanks Matt nbsp

A:Two hard drives, both with same copy of XP, black screen after windows loading screen

Sounds like the old hard drive is faulty to me.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/two-hard-drives-both-with-same-copy-of-xp-black-screen-after-windows-loading-screen.90318/
Relevancy 50.74%

I m having a problem with my Dell Dimension running Windows XP I have an g Maxtor HD as my main drive and a g WD secondary drive When I attempt to boot I get a blue screen with the message A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer If this is he first time you ve seen this Stop error screen restart your computer If this screen appears again Screen Can't Black Blue (Standard Screen w/cursor Mode), boot then XP Windows Safe or follow these steps Check to be sure you have adequate disk space If a driver is identified in the Stop message disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates Try changing video adapters Check with your Can't boot Windows XP (Standard or Safe Mode), Black Screen w/cursor then Blue Screen hardware vendorm for any BIOS updates Can't boot Windows XP (Standard or Safe Mode), Black Screen w/cursor then Blue Screen Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components restart your computer press F to select Advanced Startup Options and then select Can't boot Windows XP (Standard or Safe Mode), Black Screen w/cursor then Blue Screen Safe Mode Technical Information STOP x E xC xF BB B xF E AO xF E AO FLTMGR SYS - Address F BB B base at F A DateStamp daAs far as the info in the message I see this screen with the same info everytime I rebooted As far as disk space my main drive is g aand I have about g of free space I m not sure if anything in the message refers to drivers Not sure how to change video adapters when I can t get into Windows Standard Mode or Safe Mode Also not sure how to deal with any of the BIOS suggestions or even know if it s a good idea to mess with it Again I cannot even boot to Safe Mode It takes me to the same Blue Screen message I have been able to boot from the CD I get to the Windows Setup screen it loads files It then says it s Starting Windows then takes me to the Windows XP Home Edition Setup It gives me the choices To set up Window XP now press Enter To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console press R To quit Setup without installing Windows XP press F I pressed R and in the Recovery Console it shows C WINDOWSI press as this is the only Windows installation I have It then takes me to the Command Prompt C WINDOWS gt I have run CHKDSK and got this message The volume appears to be in good condition and was not checked Use p if you want to check the volume anyway kb total disk space kb are available bytes in each allocation unit total allocation units on disk allocation units available on disk I have also run CHKDSK r and it found and fixed one or more errors After I exited and tried to reboot from the HD and got the same BSOD with same message I don t know if this is a virus or hardware software problem I do have Malwarebytes Anti-Virus and Norton on the PC but without Windows XP I m not sure how to run them I have also booted from Hirems Boot CD and have run all the hardware tests checked HDs memory video etc I could and have found no problems Any light you could shed on this would be greatly appreciated Thanks in advance Dave

A:Can't boot Windows XP (Standard or Safe Mode), Black Screen w/cursor then Blue Screen

mod bump

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/385215/cant-boot-windows-xp-standard-or-safe-mode-black-screen-wcursor-then-blue-screen/
Relevancy 50.31%

I accidentally hid "favorites" and "active now" sections on fb messenger home screen. Need to unhide sections. App installed on Samsung Galaxy S 6 and can't uninstall cuz it's a factory installed app. All ready tried update

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/444759-fb-messenger-problems-home-screen.html
Relevancy 50.31%

I am not sure what's wrong, but I have uninstall nvidia drivers that gave me problems ie. 257.21, 196.21....etc. I am currently using 195.62. I am certain that it was a VGA driver problem, because it never happened again, till I decided to remove windows internet explorer and it did the black screen thing again. It restarts and instead of showing windows splash screen it shows a black screen. When I am at the black screen I can't do anything, I will have manually restart and when it boots up the second time it will load windows. It's ____ me off. I hope someone can help me here, and I appreciate it. Atm I am gonna reinstall IE 8 and let's hope for the best.

PS. I just bought this new HDD WDVELOCIRAPTOR 300GB. So it's brand new. Don't know what's going on.

A:Restart leads to black screen before windows 7 splash screen

Hmmm! Been having the same problem myself with 7 ultimate 64 bit. It only happens on a "restart". Cold boot works OK.
I just hit my reset button, get message to do startup repair or start windows normally.
Select the "normal" and all seems to work OK???????
I'd be interested if you can find a resolution to this issue. I gave up on it!!!

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/97845-restart-leads-black-screen-before-windows-7-splash-screen.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Ok it all started when I XP cursor won't Black no Windows screen after with the screen. logo boot. ran Nod antivirus I ran it because I had some viruses on my computer that I wanted to get rid of After the scan there were some detected objects that were quarantined or deleted So then I restart my computer and after the windows xp logo there is just a black screen with no cursor And after awhile the computer will just Windows XP won't boot. Black screen with no cursor after the logo screen. restart and try booting up again I tried going into safe mode and safe mode with command prompt but I still get a black screen with no cursor The last known good configuration doesn t work either I m pretty frustrated because I did nothing wrong I am also having a feeling that nod might have quarantined some infected files that are essential for Windows Xp to boot I also do not have any windows xp disks with me because I lost them a very long time ago Is there anything I can do to fix my computer Thanks nbsp

A:Windows XP won't boot. Black screen with no cursor after the logo screen.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-wont-boot-black-screen-with-no-cursor-after-the-logo-screen.941897/
Relevancy 50.31%

Hello I ll go ahead and start from the very beginning Thanks in advance though for taking a look at my problem About a month ago my computer would give me a few problems while booting screen before Cant black Windows login boot, Solved: screen up I would start the computer it would run through BIOS run through the Windows loading screen and after that it would run the CHKDSK to make sure my disks are fine CHKDSK doesn t work it just freezes right before checking the disks so I restart and generally it will boot up Most of the time it would boot up perfectly but rarely would it go to the xp loading screen and then flicker as if it as Solved: Windows Cant boot, black screen before login screen going to go to the windows login screen but wouldn t The screen would just stay black and I d have to restart Solved: Windows Cant boot, black screen before login screen Next time generally it would work perfect So this brings me to the current day After the Solved: Windows Cant boot, black screen before login screen windows xp loading screen it goes black The computer is on but I don t see any activity for the HDD via the LED SO i go into safe mode i finally get CHKDSK to run I had to really mess with some stuff to get that working Windows says the volume is fine and the only way I can boot my PC is in safe mode but even that will freeze sometimes while loading some of the files Just to let you know I m running Raid and this is my first time running it I m not sure if this symptom is a common problem if one of the disks are going out Does anyone know whats going on Could it be a virus that messed with a boot ini or any startup stuff also is there anyway to remove problems within safe mode I tried removing anti-virus program thinking it might help but wont allow me nbsp

Relevancy 50.31%

---Wow this is frustrating I just got done fixing two other computers- one was helping someone else fix their computer because they were seeking someone with basic expertise and here I am seeking someone with higher knowledge to help me out no screen screen, Windows logon bootup black Vista thanks in advance to all who contribute --- HP Media Windows Vista black screen, no bootup logon screen Center M FWindows Vista bit GB RAM NVIDIA graphics card and plenty of HD spaceF hardware diagnastics A-OK Suddenly this computer decided Windows Vista black screen, no bootup logon screen to malfunction without installing anything new or updates prior to its quot crashing quot I'm pretty wary to spyware and virus of the like so I am careful to what is installed and opened on this computer But for all I know when I was out of the house someone could have accessed the the machine infecting it with something I noticed before I left the house that it took a ridiculously long time to empty out the recycle bin has anyone else had this problem in vista I know there were a lot of high res pictures in there so I'm guessing quite a few gigs of deletion but after an hour it hadn't even progressed It said minutes and appeared to be frozen but was still moving I restarted the computer and tried the same thing-- exact same result lt --- this is the only hint I have as to what happened because before this everything was fine Anyway I got home and turned on the computer after someone turned it off and it just booted up the HP screen and then went to the windows logo loading page except there was no windows logo It displayed the loading bar and moving across the box at the bottom but just with no windows vista logo Then came the blue screen with the moveable mouse pointer I waited hours the mouse pointer still could be moved but the screen was frozen on the light blue hue right before the welcome screen or logon screen I retried this several times with this same result Even CTRL ALT DEL does not work Even more interesting I tried booting in Safe Mode and Safe Mode with Command Prompt both with the same result of black screen with mouse pointer and the text quot Safe Mode quot in all for corners No progression after an hour of waiting Booting windows in quot last known good configuration quot didn't work either There was also a quot repair quot function that precipitated the same results as well The F Recovery Console at the HP boot screen did not work no matter how rhythmic my F pushes were-- not sure why I couldn't recover this system on the recovery partition since HP doesn't send you recovery CDs anymore Lastly I made a Hiren Boot CD followed with my own Windows Vista installer boot CD They both had the same result when booting straight from the cdrom error message on a black screen quot The System memory manager EMM EXE has detected an error caused by a fault in one of the device drivers or programs loaded in the system Due to this fault the system is probably in an unstable state and you are therefore recommended to reboot the computer immediately If the problem persists then try to isolate which program is at fault if you have loaded several then load them one at a atime until the fault appears then contact tech support department for that program Advanced technical information Exception Invalid Opcode DS CB etc etc let me know if you need all the alphanumeric encoding quot When I don't boot straight from the cdrom it freezes and says this quot FD mb System Type- Starting Caldera DR-DOSEMM Copyright etc etc etc lt ---- blinking cursor quot I don't think I'm leaving out much of all but any other inquiries let me know I find this problem extremely odd yet annoying I don't know what else to do this computer is barely a year old Tech support wants or something like for days on one issue even for a recovery cd they want Wow HP Anyways thanks in advance and cheers Nowachi

A:Windows Vista black screen, no bootup logon screen

It may be that someone didn't turn off the PC rather that it experienced a damaging event and shut down.Suggest you check the RAM - remove and reseat and try rebooting. If not successful your mother board may be damaged - nasty thought.There is also this site which may be relevant.http://support.microsoft.com/kb/831515If you can get your PC going suggest you check Event Viewer. Then restore files from the recycle bin and then use SHIFT/DELETE to get rid of them, delete a small file and see if emptying the recycle bin works OKPaul

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/233390/windows-vista-black-screen-no-bootup-logon-screen/
Relevancy 50.31%

Hi screen windows (black screen startup BSOD and freeze all i have a problem with my pc it randomly freeze at startup BSOD (black screen and windows startup screen freeze getting me black white or distorted screens after min the pc reboot and all go normal this problem can come or times at the same time after the pc BSOD (black screen and windows startup screen freeze finish his reboot it get me an error like this Firma problema Nome evento problema BlueScreen Versione SO ID impostazioni locali Ulteriori informazioni sul problema BCCode BCP FFFFFA B C BCP FFFFF FECBAE BCP FFFFFFFFC A BCP OS Version Service Pack Product and if i go on operative center it get me this Firma del problema Nome evento problema LiveKernelEvent Versione SO ID impostazioni locali Ulteriori informazioni sul problema BCCode BCP FFFFFA AF F BCP FFFFF F C BCP BCP OS Version Service Pack Product ID bucket X x Tdr IMAGE nvlddmkm sys Informazioni sul server e f a - - b - f - c b d here are the information that i see in the bsod post introduction OS -windows x its an assembled pc by me and i ve installed original win Full reatil version the system have week i have upgrade it from an old one created by me year ago the OS has week i have re intsalled it after the upgrade cpu-- gt i K with an after market cooler video card- gt Nvidia GTX with afetr market cooler motherboard - gt asus p z -v gen power supply - gt corsair tx v System Manufacturer gt by me XD here are the output from Windows Vista jcgriff and from perfmon PS sorry for my bad english - -''

A:BSOD (black screen and windows startup screen freeze

Ok 116 error is caused by your Graphics card.
First thing to do is update your drivers from the NVIDIA website.

If BSODs continue Try HDD tests,
download gpu-z to check if your card is getting too hot, also is there lots of dust in the card?

Do you overclock your video card?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/bsod-black-screen-and-windows-startup-screen-freeze-622591.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Watching a video in Windows Media Player...I wanted to get a screen of a part of the video. So I press PrintScreen...and travel over the MSPaint. Hit paste..and lo and behold...the screen is there...except the video is still playing! LOL

I tried to pause the video..then save. But when I reopen, where the video should be it is black. Is there a way to make screen grabs of videos in WMP? Thanks

A:Windows Media Player: Screen Capture (black screen)?

I think this question has been kicked around before, I just don't remember what the answer was or how to query the search base here for it.

I'm going to move this to the All other Software forum, since it is really a Windows Media Player, not an XP question; I will edit the topic also.

Perhaps one of the denizens there will recall this one.

Here's one I remember: try IrfanView, it worked when I tested it.

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=107100

More suggestions here:

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=103989

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-media-player-screen-capture-black-screen.167477/
Relevancy 50.31%

Hey need some help yet again Yesterday I downloaded Mission Against Terror New MMOFPS and I downloaded it Upon updating with the patcher my laptop went haywire It started opening up random IE windows slow speed etc etc I did a whole memory scan and a malware adware spyware scan There were several viruses and whatnot but Login screen and BEFORE Screen 7 Windows Black logo/loading! AFTER what is important are the files SVC exe and exe you'll find it why later on The anti-virus said that it had fixed deleted everything So I restarted my laptop hoping that I'd get it up and running in safe mode for any further scans Unfortunately when I restarted it after the windows loading screen which is right before login screen a black screen appeared With nothing at all Not even a cursor BLACK JUST BLACK with NO keyboard access mouse access But that's expected since it's BEFORE the login screen It's the same with normal boot boot that does that quot last best used option quot or whatever safe mode with networking etc etc All the same Black screen Good thing I had Black Screen BEFORE Login screen and AFTER Windows 7 logo/loading! WIN XP on my other hard drive So I booted up into WIN XP where I'm posting this from and did a FULL NOT QUICK system scan to find the SAME Viruses YET AGAIN SVC exe and exe along with some other minor tracking cookies and what-not Win XP on second drive is also having a few problems like IE shutting down every second using firefox now Think this is a whole system prob But why Didn't the antivirus-es fix it I say quot es quot because I used SuperAntiSpyware Norton NOD Malware Bytes and AVG I've tried the system recovery thing F thing on boot screen NOT ON LOGIN SCREEN Remember I can't reach that but that doesn't work either So any suggestions Btw The windows PRO bit that's corrupted not starting is on C and Win XP is on D Attached is a log of my most recent scans Thanks in advance

A:Black Screen BEFORE Login screen and AFTER Windows 7 logo/loading!

Hi your problem can best be addressed in the security section of the forum
http://www.techsupportforum.com/secu...oval-help.html

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/black-screen-before-login-screen-and-after-windows-7-logo-loading-516244.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Whenever the Windows loadscreen load Black after - it fixes Windows screen Nothing w/cursor screen passes the screen goes black and I can move a cursor around the screen I have had this happen before and fixed it with bootrec exe but I can't seem to get that to work this time Startup repair says it cannot help - Safe mode Black screen w/cursor after Windows load screen - Nothing fixes it has the exact same Black screen w/cursor after Windows load screen - Nothing fixes it black screen problem I have done chkdsk and sfc scannow - Didn't fix it When I Black screen w/cursor after Windows load screen - Nothing fixes it boot into Kaspersky Rescue from a USB drive it mentions that I need to shut down windows properly before continuing I would like to do this but I can't I have tried changing the active partition on information in some of these other threads - It didn't seem to work All disks are healthy according to the DISKPART and Partition Wizard I have done the HP hardware diagnostic scans and everything comes up fine I see that a lot of the advice on the threads is to do a fresh install - Is it really broken beyond repair at this point Does anyone have any other ways I can try and fix this problem

A:Black screen w/cursor after Windows load screen - Nothing fixes it

Hello saturnn and welcome to Seven Forums.

One of the Forum experts prepared this troubleshooting guide for Windows 7 failure to boot issues. Even though you've tried several of the suggested fixes I'd still go through the tutorial and try the steps in the order listed.

Troubleshooting Windows 7 Failure to Boot

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/268184-black-screen-w-cursor-after-windows-load-screen-nothing-fixes.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Hi I would really appreciate any advice i've been trying to fix for four hours without any luck.

I have an Acer aspire 5732Z. I turn my laptop on and it shows the starting windows screen then just goes to a black screen with a cursor. I tried to do systems restore but it said that i did not have a system restore point. I cannot start in any safe mode.

I have all my pictures, uni work etc and im terrified i've lost it all. I've only had the laptop a year.

Any suggestion would be amazing

Thank you

A:Black screen after windows start up doesn't go to login screen

Hello seven11 and welcome to SevenForums!

I think this article will be fairly interesting to read.

Why is my screen black when I start Windows 7?

Carry on.
Frederik

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/196945-black-screen-after-windows-start-up-doesnt-go-login-screen.html