Windows Support Forum

Broken CD - data recovery - any chance?

Q: Broken CD - data recovery - any chance?

Hi all,

I've got a friend whose wife is ready to kill. The CD of wedding photo's is currently in three pieces and not backed up. Any leads where he can get at least some of the data recovered? At this point in time he's almost "money no object"...

...any leads would be appreciated,
Many thanks,

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Broken CD - data recovery - any chance?

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Broken CD - data recovery - any chance?

I've never looked into this before. I'd imagine there isn't much that can be done. CDs and DVDs have a short life in data storage terms and really should not be relied on as a permanent storage media for important data. There seem to be a few companies out there that offer data recovery from damaged CDs, but this is usually from scratched rather than broken into pieces disks.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/broken-cd-data-recovery-any-chance.172952/
Relevancy 84.28%

Data Loss Situation Best Chance of Recovery At the moment you have a failure it is important to record what you remember and from this point forward what you do to attempt getting the data back Technicians have to be detectives in some cases as when the drive arrives it is very vague as to the events leading up to the failure and the failure itself then the what steps did you try for the recovery question Avoiding doing anything further that could cause damage to the data is of Data chance ? situation best recovery loss of course based on what type of failure has occurred Logical recovery data deletion or read errors mean that anything you apply to the drive can cause further damage as the drive is still in working order Electrical damage likely safest of all failures as if the drive does not receive power the data can not be changed or affected until power is restored to the drive Physical failure clicking whirring grinding and internal noise and every time you put power to the drive the data has a chance of further damage incurring I liken putting power to the drive at this point to Russian roulette as you power up the drive it s putting the most force into the reading heads and if then you hear silence the heads may well have died Data loss situation ? best chance of recovery completely at this point and a ring is made then causing the data to be unrecoverable If you have a logical deletion or failure do not download any recovery tools to the drive you wish to recover data to you would be surprised how many end users over write the data they are wishing to recover If you drive has picked up read errors or bad segments you can imagine a defrag or scan disk option being like the card file at the library and at the time the drive is working away putting everything in a new order behind the scenes it would be like throwing the library card file up in the air as the drive is then loosing al the pointers on the drive that point to the location of the data stored on the drive Always stop to consider how important the lost data is Do you have a copy Who might have the back up of your lost data- something you have emailed as in pictures Then you can decide value on the missing data what the important data is you have lost and what measures you will take to recovery the data or not Sometimes the cost of the recovery will out weight the value and other times the value will be found to be irreplaceable nbsp

A:Data loss situation – best chance of recovery

And your question is?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/data-loss-situation-%E2%80%93-best-chance-of-recovery.149827/
Relevancy 71.38%

Hi I am using Windows XP and am attempting to recover a lost file Using the save save as options in Sound Recorder I have Recovery Data and Shortcuts Broken accidentally overwritten a file The original file was called Broken Shortcuts and Data Recovery quot song wav quot The overwritten file is called quot Broken Shortcuts and Data Recovery song wav quot and quot song wav quot does now not exist I ran a program called 'Recuva' in an attempt see if I could retrieve quot song wav quot and it found a shortcut Broken Shortcuts and Data Recovery for that song However when I attempt to open shortcut I get the message that quot the item has been changed or removed so the shortcut will no longer work properly quot Is have questions then Is there a way to find the item source for that shortcut before it was overwritten or If I locate the source myself as the current file quot song wav quot - and attempt to open the quot song wav quot shortcut - will it just open quot song wav quot as it currently exists or will it open quot song wav quot as it existed before it was overwritten Any help would be much appreciated or if anyone has any other ideas as to how to retrieve the overwritten file that would be much appreciated also I have also ran the program 'PCInspector' and it too found the shortcut for quot song wav quot but not the source unless I am reading incorrectly

A:Broken Shortcuts and Data Recovery

If it is helpful, the shortcut for "song1.wav" was located in the folder 'My Recent Documents' - not in the folder it was originally saved in.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/broken-shortcuts-and-data-recovery-672602.html
Relevancy 64.5%

Hi all.

It is a second WD hdd that was not in use for ages, but connected to the motherboard.

Windows won't recognize the hdd or will recognize as a CD-Drive.

At random i could access the HD again but only with Recuva software. It seems my files are all there, i started copying them with Recuva but the hdd was VERY slow and making loud noises. The PC accidentally turned off and now i'm back to the point where i can't even access it but it shows as a CD-Drive.

A:Any chance of recovering the hdd data?

I would say that your chances are very slim
hdd was VERY slow and making loud noises.Click to expand...

a sure sign of serious problems
Either a failing/now failed read write arm
OR a failing/failed drive to the platters

Although an old article the principle of all mechanical hard drives is the same
http://www.computerworld.com/article/2585698/data-center/anatomy-of-a-hard-disk.html

The read/copy with recuva has I think sent it over the edge - not that you had a lot of choice

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/any-chance-of-recovering-the-hdd-data.1160977/
Relevancy 63.64%

hi guys a client of is chance for recovery? Solved: there any mine has a compaq Solved: is there any chance for recovery? desktop windows was starting up and then blue screening you know the one run a anti virus scan uninstall any drivers etc etc She told me that she doesn t have up to date anti-virus and that the system was warning her about a virus I ran ERD commander the windows live cd and when it got to the menu there was no partition to work on no windows found i have since slaved it to my desktop and no drive was found but when i go to disk manager the space is there disk GB healthy looks no different to my os partition but when i right click it and properties it says local disk file system RAW capacity bytes free space bytes used space bytes firstly yes its her own fault for no backup and anti-virus i feel nothing for her what has a virus or threat done to accomplish this is there anything i can do to recover the data in my experience i would say she is screwed but maybe one of you cyber gods can help me out here please nbsp

Relevancy 63.21%

Hi folks hopefully someone out there can help me with this as I rather stupidly didn t make backups for quite a lot of data Here is the story About a week ago my PC randomly blue screened I didn t make a note of the error message which was another of my many mistakes I tried rebooting and it just hung on the Windows splash screen tried booting to safe mode and the same thing happened tried booting to last known data I can drive? hard chance Any save from this old some good config and same thing Inserted the Windows XP install disc and set BIOS to boot from that tried doing a repair and it just sent me to DOS prompt so after a little Googling I tried running chkdsk r which was plodding along all night so I left it be Before leaving for work the next morning noted it was at Came back from work hours later and it was still at so I gave it another couple of hours and still no change so assumed it had crashed and powered off Next I tried running the Windows CD and going back to start the chkdsk again but this time as soon as it started a message same up saying the volume has one or more unrecoverable problem Sensing the worst I ordered a new hard drive and also a caddy as my PC only has one space for a hard disc so I planned to mount the old drive as a slave and see if I could have any more joy that way or at least run some diagnostics Both arrived this morning so I powered up the new drive in my system formatted installed Windows and drivers etc Then tried connecting the old drive in the caddy as external storage Sounded to be spinning up ok and Windows recognized it and said the storage was ready to use but there was no icon to access the storage in my computer Did a bit more Googling and saw a page with a method I hadn t seen before to rescue a hard disc using the Windows CD so just to see what happened I tried remounting the old hard drive back in the system and booting to the CD again This time I couldn t even get to the welcome screen of the CD as after a few minutes it went to another BSOD So have now put the new hard drive back in and posted this to pray for divine inspiration In hope more than expectation nbsp

Relevancy 62.78%

Hi I was quite the fool this morning when I accidentally deleted the wrong folder from my USB stick removing a bunch of word files I though I had it properly backed up on my other PC but it turns out of Accidentally USB from chance - deleted recovery? Any that one word file was not saved in my back up Now I m trying to find any glimps of hope to get this file back as it took me an entire month to write the story within it Things I have done I have checked the recycle bin but nothing was there to begin with It was the first thing I did Word has a auto-saved function from what I can understand and I have tried to find it and open what was there but to no avail Although it may be possible that I did not do it properly I don t fully trust my self when it comes to stuff like this Several recovery softwares - I ve tried a bunch of Data Recovery softwares but only two has managed to quot recover quot or found the file Recuva managed to bring me everything from Accidentally deleted from USB - Any chance of recovery? the deleted folder however I cannot open a bunch of the wordfiles it contained includind the one word file I strive to recover EaseUS I have tried the free trial version and it as well has managed to find it but I worry that the software is unable to show me a preview as it is able to do with other word files I do not wish to spend that much money on a program just to recover one file that I can t open anyway With the recovered file of my word document I have tried both to open it as a txt docx doc convert it to a pdf online open and repair with Word but without luck The only thing online that I haven t tried is what a user called Faith has responed on the following link http ccm net forum affich- -how-to-retrieve-lost-files-in-flash-drives However I did not fully understand how to do as they explained If there is anyone out there who can help me I would be unimaginably greatful I dearly want just what is written in that file back nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/accidentally-deleted-from-usb-any-chance-of-recovery.1170819/
Relevancy 62.78%

Hello

i want to copy my recovery partition to usb .. any chance to do it ??

my system windows 7 64 bit

btw. whene i get the laptop ( 2 years ago ) i have create recovery dvd . but now i lost the disks. and i have only recovery partition .

thanks guys

A:any chance to copy recovery partition to usb ?

Have you tried?

Why not make another recovery dvd?

find the following files:

C:\ProgramData\Hewlett-Packard\Recovery\hpdrcu.prc
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Recovery\hpdrcu.sys

Add .bak to the ends of each of these files eg: hpdrcu.prc.bak

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/383927-any-chance-copy-recovery-partition-usb.html
Relevancy 57.62%

I have an android phone with data and an app called pdanet+. However, my phone isn't compatible with the wifi hotspot feature of the app. Therefore, I decided to use the Bluetooth internet feature of planet+, but it won't show up on my iPhone. Does anyone know what jailbreak tweak I can get to be able to make the connection between the phones?

A:How do I Bluetooth tether an android with data (using pdanet+) to an iPhone 4 w/o data (jail broken)

BTW, I've already tried ibluever from Cydia but it shuts down my wifi connection; the app needs wifi to activate.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-i-bluetooth-tether-an-android-with-data-using-pdanet-to-an-iphone-4-w-o-data-jail-broken.215114/
Relevancy 55.04%

I have problems mine is recovering data from a DVD-R amp a friend is looking for my help in recovering data from a quot corrupted quot Flash Drive I was burning data on a DVD-R multiple sessions disk when my Burner crapped out while using Nero I now have a new Burner amp when I go back into this disk I can only read data from my st session when I compare the s from Nero s disk info tool however it also shows that session is still open but I cannot read anything from sessions amp Looking around I spotted CD Recovery Tool Box Free is there anything more recent and or better that would let me try to recover the data on this disk The data in session is still on my HD but I would like to be able to recover the data in the other sessions worst DVD-R data recovery data Flash & Drive recovery possible case even just the file names would be a DVD-R data recovery & Flash Drive data recovery small plus Now for the Flash Drive It is a Lexar Gig DVD-R data recovery & Flash Drive data recovery amp what supposedly happened is that Peter lent it to a fellow employee so he could extract some data probably a mistake When he got it back a few minutes later amp tried to use it all he got was a message that it was corrupted As it has all of his product codes phone numbers amp personal sales data for the last year he is really desperate to try amp recover DVD-R data recovery & Flash Drive data recovery the data He does not have a computer of his own so he has no backup another bad idea He has gotten a new Flash Drive a Sony Gig but I have told him that he better go out amp get a nd one to use as a backup As I know basically nothing about Flash Drives is there a program out there that maybe can recover his data Any and all help along with a few words of advice would be greatly appreciated Oh yes I have computers one running on Windows so I can run my old DOS programs amp HD so I guess that dates me amp the other on XP Pro which from what I have read may be an advantage in recovery Happy Skies Chris nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dvd-r-data-recovery-flash-drive-data-recovery.137570/
Relevancy 52.46%

Hi everyone My external USb Wd mybook box has tb Seagate Sata and i use original Wd disc as W installed in My PC Case as sata II Today my old problem appears again as Corrupted disc I recovery external Data data but problem, space. Can reach no corrupted have Get Data Back NTFS and i used before plenty of times for recovery loss data or unwanted deletions but This time im stuck Becouse the disk i try to recover includes gb about used disk space only audio files only gb about empty space Thats too big for me to recover to other disks i don't have enough spaces that my other disks can handle I have about gb FREE disk space in several disks or partitions include My thinkpad SL Notebook Data recovery problem, Can reach corrupted data but no external space. --------- So my question is wit keeping my lost data in corrupted disk first can i take them slowly to this gb spaces i know i can and after create somehow emty space deleting those recovered gb on corrupted disk and use that empty space for more recovery Or smilar solutions Becouse DISC PRICES IS HEAVY nowadays and really i'm out of budget with buying some equipments upgrades ---------- IS THERE Data recovery problem, Can reach corrupted data but no external space. ANY PRACTICALLY POSSIBLE SOLUTION even can take very long time Like creating slowly slowly some extra spaces don't know how I know i look silly in Data recovery problem, Can reach corrupted data but no external space. situation becouse i know u should never write to same disc if you dont want to say goodbye to your files E-how happened not necessary to read these part according my experiences Thats the mistakes DOn't do those at the same time After Letting my Share program DC took big share space on that disk today -there were people downloading from my disk and don't know why i did that -i used heavly that disk to tag amp rename my music -Also let windows seven index -and also let my dc indexes my share I did these things at the same time disks was working My Downloads were happening another disk but it didnt help there were no any problems im just suspicious about some virus worked on this corruption but i don't have enough clue to say that Seems overload processes made this corruption Also one more mistake i made even i know shouldnt that there was a single folder with about gb value in my musics as jukebox folder Also don't do that normally i allow for download and upload only single disk for example gb Anyway somehow after restarting my OS i suddenly see half of my data was gone from TB disk and stupidly unlike other times while using get data back i tried to write a little amount from lost data to free space on same disc then immediately i gave up but this time disk become unstable Completly corrupted after restart my restart reasons are immediate quit for suspicious virus etc with using removal batch files becouse i SO as classic sorry to take ur time and PLEASE Help

A:Data recovery problem, Can reach corrupted data but no external space.

Hi,

Before you write more data or attempt to read data from the drive through Windows, I would suggest using a Live CD like SysRescueCD to boot from and access the HDD.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/213342-data-recovery-problem-can-reach-corrupted-data-but-no-external-space.html
Relevancy 52.03%

Minitool Power Data Recovery or Runtime Get Data Back, which
one would you choose or which one did you choose? I want to purchase a serious data recovery program for personal business use.

A:Minitool Power Data Recovery or Runtime Get Data Back, which

Hi

Both are good programs and i would recommend purchasing both ( if you can afford ). Both has it's own pros and cons.
"GetDataBack" is good at virtual reconstruction of damage/unrecognizable file systems but i personally found it weak at recovering image files. It recovers images but most of them seems to be corrupted in my testings. Also you need to purchase seperate versions for FAT and NTFS ( GetDataBack simple is garbage ).

On the other hand, "Power data Recovery" works with both FAT and NTFS and it is better at recovering image files. Another proven tools is "R-Studio" which has quiet good reputation among DR professionals. It's user interface is not newbie friendly but has lot's of options which no other tools offers.

Data Recovery from an External Disk with a Damaged File System

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/367221-minitool-power-data-recovery-runtime-get-data-back.html
Relevancy 52.03%

hi i have a scSi disk GB i [Hard header sql recovery] data Drive / extractors data lost information from it and tried to recover with other recovery softwares to no avail finally i got winhex amp got the professional licence i can now data extractors / sql header [Hard Drive data recovery] be able to see all the information on the whole NTFS partition but the problem is that i data extractors / sql header [Hard Drive data recovery] can t be able to recover it when ever i open the logical drive i can see all the information and most of the information is stack up in a quot free space quot which is around gb which i can be able to see has all the information that i need i have tried to recover the free space but its only copied to the location that i specify and no recoveries are made recovering the files by type name has bore no fruits a freind told me i have to curve out that area and use data extractors to get the information out of that area freee space the information in that drive are sql data bases and zip files whats the header for sql what techniques do i use to curve out that space and be abele to extract the information for i can even read the information in text format which are the data extractors available in the market kindly assist its quite urgent i get this information out nbsp

A:data extractors / sql header [Hard Drive data recovery]

I don't know where this thread properly belongs -- but I suspect the question may be too esoteric for most here.

Since it involves data recovery from a hard drive I'm going to move it to Hardware, I think "all other software" is not likely to have anyone with this type of experience.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/data-extractors-sql-header-hard-drive-data-recovery.438131/
Relevancy 52.03%

Minitool Power Data Recovery or Runtime Get Data Back, which
one would you choose or which one did you choose? I want to purchase a serious data recovery program for personal business use.

A:Minitool Power Data Recovery or Runtime Get Data Back, which

you can try the trial of both products which give you a taste of what the programme is like  

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/573327/minitool-power-data-recovery-or-runtime-get-data-back-which/
Relevancy 51.6%

I booted up my Win 7 computer today and ChkDsk said my Ex HDD may have been corrupted and proceeded to delete some files. Those were some very important files - how can I get them back? (Video and Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 files)

I prefer free methods on this - I know I can buy software to do this, but I currently don't have the money. Or a very cheap method, if nothing else.

It's ironic that today was the day I was going to back up this drive.

Please help!

A:External HDD data recovery - Chkdsk erased some data!!

"How To Recover CHK Files Created by CHKDSK and SCANDISK ? Raymond.CC Blog"
How To Recover CHK Files Created by CHKDSK and SCANDISK

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/22300-external-hdd-data-recovery-chkdsk-erased-some-data.html
Relevancy 51.6%

i have lost my tally recovery data wheni pasted from pendrive tally data to computer tally.it was replaced

A:tally recovery data how i recover my replace data from my pc

Recover your data in Tally - Some Tips & Tricks to Recover Tally Datahttp://www.apnitally.com/2006/09/re...

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-8/tally-recovery-data-how-i-recover-my-replace-data-from-my-pc/2147.html
Relevancy 51.17%

BTW if this is in the wrong forum then please tell me and then move as appropriate Thanks Yesterday I was trying to put my Packard Bell iMedia running Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack to sleep and I got a blue screen with the following error codes STOP x x x C A xC x Following that I could not boot in any mode further than the Microsoft Windows XP loading screen at which point the same blue screen was displayed Today I decided to go ahead with a Packard Bell Partial Recovery which allows you to retain your data At first the System Restore on the first screen and Partial Recovery on the second screen options were greyed out and then Bell recovery Data following Packard partial recovery System Restore randomly became available so I tried that got an error message clicked quot OK quot the first time and closed it the second time and both times it restarted Then Partial Recovery was suddenly available So I went ahead with that and when it came to the screen where it asked me what user I wanted to retain the only option was quot No Profile quot Thinking that my data would still be in the place the instructions said it would be C documents and settings Chosen user name I went ahead with quot No Profile quot The recovery ran and the computer restarted and Windows started up again as if it was the first time I'd ran the computer So I created the two user accounts that had previously existed and then logged in with mine Among other messages due to the computer thinking it was new again a Data recovery following Packard Bell partial recovery Packard Bell window came up telling me that Data recovery following Packard Bell partial recovery the recovery had succeeded and my data was in quot C documents and settings Chosen user name quot It wasn't there And it's not there for the other account for Default User for All Users or for Shared Documents There is however about GB of the hard drive being used up by something and I don't know what So after all that I really have two questions Is my data still on the computer Data recovery following Packard Bell partial recovery If so can I recover it I'm on an old Compaq with Windows ME right now BTW I was able to hook it up to my monitor and get an internet connection It's just as well I had it

A:Data recovery following Packard Bell partial recovery

clarification - does your documents and settings folder only shows your new accounts?

do you have two window folders? Try a windows search for your old profile folder and see what it comes up with.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/data-recovery-following-packard-bell-partial-recovery-205468.html
Relevancy 50.74%

my friends PC has just had the HDD replaced because it would not boot up with win98. Shes rebuilding the PC at the moment.
She still has the old drive and wondered if any of the data could be extracted.
If I set the device as a slave on the 2nd IDE on her PC will it act as just another drive or try and boot. I dont know the details of the problem but wondered if its just the boot area that has been corrupted but the drive otherwise is still working, if was possible to get some data off...
any advice in retreaving information.

Relevancy 50.74%

I have a 300gb Maxtor Drive partitioned into 4 drives...the OS on the hd was Windows Vista...While i was reinstalling XP i accidently formatted the whole drive because it didnt show the rest of the partitions on the screen...by the time i realized what i just did it was already 5% formatted...so i decided to stop it by turning off my computer...

i was wondering if the data (music, files, pictures, etc etc) is still recoverable...if so, what are the necessary steps that i should take to recover it...my friend sent me OnTrack 6.3 EasyRecovery Pro and i went out and bought Search and Recover 4...should i do a clean format on the drive and then run a data recovery software or should i run the software with the drive being 5% formatted...

if someone can lead me in the right direction i would greatly appreciate it...thanks

pete

A:Data Recovery Lost Data from format

Closing duplicate, please reply here:

http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/594609-data-recovery-lost-data-format.html

eddie

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/data-recovery-lost-data-from-format.594612/
Relevancy 50.74%

I have a 300gb Maxtor Drive partitioned into 4 drives...the OS on the hd was Windows Vista...While i was reinstalling XP i accidently formatted the whole drive because it didnt show the rest of the partitions on the screen...by the time i realized what i just did it was already 5% formatted...so i decided to stop it by turning off my computer...

i was wondering if the data (music, files, pictures, etc etc) is still recoverable...if so, what are the necessary steps that i should take to recover it...my friend sent me OnTrack 6.3 EasyRecovery Pro and i went out and bought Search and Recover 4...should i do a clean format on the drive and then run a data recovery software or should i run the software with the drive being 5% formatted...

if someone can lead me in the right direction i would greatly appreciate it...thanks

pete

Please do not post duplicates. With patience, you should get a reply to your post within 24 hours.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/data-recovery-lost-data-from-format.594610/
Relevancy 50.74%

Hi I have been using a Kingston gb data traveler to store work however as I was saving my word document to go home Word crashed and restarted itself it did not however bring up any autorecover options I therefore thought everything was ok and pulled out the USB When I tried to plug this in again it says USB device not recognized This device may have malfunctioned etc It then proceeds to install the USB as an unknown recovery? unrecognised Traveller USB - data Data device and appear like this in the device manager I desperately need to recover this data I was designing a Data Traveller USB unrecognised - data recovery? website and had pages of text on the USB stick What I ve Tried Plugging the USB in another machine This bought up exactly the same error Downloading a Data Doctor Recovery Pen Data Traveller USB unrecognised - data recovery? Drive tool This however did not recognise a USB as being in the system and thus did not work Is there anything I can do to rescue this data P s I use Vista -bit Business nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/data-traveller-usb-unrecognised-data-recovery.739439/
Relevancy 50.74%

pete

Don't know of any freeware ...
But I know someone who has recovered all of his data from a formatted drive using ..
http://www.runtime.org/

I know he tried some others ... but this one worked.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/data-recovery-lost-data-from-format.594609/
Relevancy 50.31%

Hello .I have lumia 730 windows 10 insider .My screen is broken and my phone have pattern .Can i take my photos and videos from pc .

A:Broken screen and data

I believe you will have to unlock the phone first in order to get photos off of it. If you are able to safely touch the screen to unlock your phone, you should be able to get those photos off of the device.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/445234-broken-screen-data.html
Relevancy 50.31%

I am trying to recover some data from a damaged laptop drive. I plugged it in externally and 2 partitions show up, the main one and RECOVERY. the RECOVERY parition opens and works fine, but the main drive with all the data is not accesible, when i right click on the drive or double click the computer just stalls. I realize the the drive is damaged but what can be done to recover the data? i found some serives that cost a ton of money that can recover
data from broken hard drives. how do they do it? what tools do i need to recover data
from a broken HD?

The idea i have is to buy an identical HD, take apart the broken drive,
take out the platter, and put it in the working drive. what do you think?
what else can i do if this is not a good idea? is that what the pros do?

Relevancy 50.31%

Is there a way I could possibly fix this hdd that i accidentally broke a month ago and had to replace with a 500gb. I really want to be able to use it as a back up drive and retrieve my files from my 1tb HDD.The pins are all still there just the plastic L broke off when I was removing the sata cord and it got stuck inside it Sorry for bad picture quality, it's because i'm using a ipod touch to take pictures and it isn't the best quality but it's what I got with me atm to take pics.

A:Broken HDD sata data tip possible fix?

Hi there

Depends on what those pins do -- pins aren't always connected. I have a feeling however on this one -- it's REALLY Broken. !!!

I assume it currently doesn't work in its present condition.

You might by disassembling the main assemble find that the end connector is just soldered into a bunch of wires rather than being directly connected to a printed circuit board.

Remember also the colour layout when re-assembling. Easily forgotten when doing other tasks.

If this is the case scrounge a new connector from somewhere or "Cannabalize" an old disk to get the connector on.

Good luck with your soldering -- I probably haven't used an "iron" in about 20 years !!!!. I still have one though.

If the actual DISK itself still has all its pins intact you could also try an external SATA disk enclosure. This might operate (with its own power supply) as a USB external drive.

Loads of SATA type enclosures for external drives -- all quite cheap. Any computer parts store should have these.

(Your pic doesn't show clearly what's broken -- If all the pins on the Disk are OK you are back in business).

Cheers
jimbo

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/227258-broken-hdd-sata-data-tip-possible-fix.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Hiya I managed to lose one of my HDD s with all my multimedia on it and have been trying unsuccessfully Pc Data File Recovery Inspector Recovery With to regain it with PCINSPECTOR The Data Recovery With Pc Inspector File Recovery HDD ISNT where my windows is installed and has become corrupted something happened with the partition and it went kablooey The problem i seem to be having with PCINSPECTOR is that it comes up with for example quot Cluster MP quot and it doesn t work Is it something wrong with how im using PCI or something like that I scan for drives Choose quot NONAME on FIXED DISK quot scan for logical drives and withing the first ten seconds it comes up with two partitions Choosing the second one i get these files and the first one nothing Scanning them for FAT So basically am i using quot PCI FR quot properly am i doing something wrong and or is there a cheap better alternative with results Patch Sorry guys bt i managed to fix this with the use of a different program Awesome program I m gonna plug it now quot R Studio quot well worth the investment My Multimedia was worth the odd

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/152008/data-recovery-with-pc-inspector-file-recovery/
Relevancy 49.88%

Hey guys, I jst emailed my dad about the HDD for my mom's laptop and he just bought it, and it's coming pretty soon. But before I could replace it, I need some help if there's a way to get the data that's from the previous HDD. Also, I heard you need to reinstall Windows 7. I don't have the actual CD, but does Acer eRecovery work the same way? It's a Acer 531-2686.

A:How to get data from broken HDD+reinstall question...

Hi,As you have mentioned Broken HDD, We are not able to determine the exact issue, however, you can conenct the HDD to a differnet computer & check if the HDD is detected, if yes you may try to take a backup,. for the CDs, you may purchase one @ http://store.acer.com/store/aceramer/en_US/eRecovery

http://community.acer.com/t5/Windows-7/How-to-get-data-from-broken-HDD-reinstall-questions/td-p/318457
Relevancy 49.88%

Hey guys, I jst emailed my dad about the HDD for my mom's laptop and he just bought it, and it's coming pretty soon. But before I could replace it, I need some help if there's a way to get the data that's from the previous HDD. Also, I heard you need to reinstall Windows 7. I don't have the actual CD, but does Acer eRecovery work the same way? It's a Acer 531-2686.

A:How to get data from broken HDD+reinstall question...

Hi,As you have mentioned Broken HDD, We are not able to determine the exact issue, however, you can conenct the HDD to a differnet computer & check if the HDD is detected, if yes you may try to take a backup,. for the CDs, you may purchase one @ http://store.acer.com/store/aceramer/en_US/eRecovery

http://community.acer.com/t5/Windows-7/How-to-get-data-from-broken-HDD-reinstall-questions/td-p/318457/jump-to/first-unread-message
Relevancy 49.88%

Hi The other day a cup of tea was HDD broken from laptop data Rescuing a of the spilt into my laptop sugar and milk - both of which I have Rescuing data from the HDD of a broken laptop read are the worst things to spill into a laptop It turned itself off and was immediately tipped upside down unplugged Rescuing data from the HDD of a broken laptop and battery removed The excess tea was dried up with kitchen roll and it was put into the airing cupboard for hours to dry The following evening we took the laptop out of the airing cupboard and plugged it in and it worked But today Rescuing data from the HDD of a broken laptop I was using it and it just suddenly turned itself off and will not turn on again The battery charging light is working though so it must be getting power Have put it back into the airing cupboard for a few hours just in case that helped but it hasn't Any ideas if there's anything I could do to fix it I am now trying to back up the data from the laptop hard disk by connecting it to a desktop computer I bought a kit from Maplin that converts IDE hard drives to USB but when I connect it to my computer it starts the detected new hardware thing and then blue screens I am running my desktop in safe mode because of other problems Could that be causing the blue screen On the HDD there are pairs of connector pins slighly separate from the others that aren't connected to anything Not sure if that could also have something to do with the blue screen Thanks Matt

A:Rescuing data from the HDD of a broken laptop

Well it sounds like the HDD is definitly the cause of the blue screen. If you have a bunch of USB devices already plugged in, try to unplug some so that the laptop HDD is the only device needed (minus keyboard and mouse, if USB).

Or you can try to plug it into another machine to see if it blue screens too. I have seen this happen a couple times when I tried to back up machines with an IDE to USB converter because the drive letters were taken up by other devices.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/rescuing-data-from-the-hdd-of-a-broken-laptop-298192.html
Relevancy 49.88%

I've had a successful setup with a MyBookWorld 500Gb blue ring NAS which has just been dropped by one my kids. I couldn't get it working so have now resorted to removing the hard drive from the enclosure. This seems ok and in a drive dock gives my pc access to the basics in Windows disc management, however it is not visible in Windows Explorer, which is to be expected as it uses a Linux file format. Does anyone have any suggestions for a program which will give me access to the files themselves so I can move them back onto a disc in my Windows 7 64bit pc?
Many thanks! Mark

A:Recovering data from broken MyBookWorld

It may be of good use to use a linux OS to copy the data to your C:\ drive - Use Ubuntu Live CD to Backup Files from Your Dead Windows Computer

I understand your machine isn't dead but it shows how you can access a drive using Linux without the need to install it

Hope This Helps,
Josh!

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/295412-recovering-data-broken-mybookworld.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Ah, lovely. The L-shaped piece of the data connection to my WD 3TB drive has ceased to exist. I got into my case today and the SATA cable came running up to greet me as it had freed itself from the constant bondage of ferrying media from the drive to whoever wanted it. Needless to say this is not what I wanted to discover.

So. How can I fix this thing? I do not have another WD Red 3TB to pull the controller card from, and I do not solder. All the pins are there and intact.

A:Broken SATA data connector

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trotter

Ah, lovely. The L-shaped piece of the data connection to my WD 3TB drive has ceased to exist. I got into my case today and the SATA cable came running up to greet me as it had freed itself from the constant bondage of ferrying media from the drive to whoever wanted it. Needless to say this is not what I wanted to discover.

So. How can I fix this thing? I do not have another WD Red 3TB to pull the controller card from, and I do not solder. All the pins are there and intact.

If I'm understanding, it's just the sata cable? Replace with new one, you can buy a bunch from eBay..

If the controller is damaged as well then I couldn't suggest how to fix that..

http://www.techist.com/forums/f77/broken-sata-data-connector-276813/
Relevancy 49.88%

Hi I have been using a GB Freecom external hdd with my laptop Windows XP for awhile but today it started to make clicking noises and my computer is no longer reading it The ext hdd runs but then gives up After creating a system recovery I uninstalled the drive under device manager to try to get it to reinstall but the computer recognized possibly I from data retrieve a hdd? Can broken ext. a usb connection and not the hdd I also connected the ext hdd to another pc but it said there was a problem with the install and the device might not work correctly and it didn t recognize the disk So I guess what I really need to know is if I can still retrieve the data on the hdd since it is really quot likely story quot important Am i better off just bringing it to the Best Buy Geek Squad I Can I retrieve data from a possibly broken ext. hdd? ve tried a data recovery software but it didn t recognize the disk nbsp

A:Can I retrieve data from a possibly broken ext. hdd?

Once you start hearing the clicking you can forget recovering data with software recovery programs.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-i-retrieve-data-from-a-possibly-broken-ext-hdd.55527/
Relevancy 49.45%

I have just tried to restore my laptop to factory settings using the recovery DVD. however part way through this process my DVD drive has broken and now I cannot boot from the DVD and windows will not start as it did prior to this (I am posting this from a friends computer).

When i try to start windows normally I get the message:

PXE-E61: media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE Rom.
Invalid Partition Table

If I get a new external DVD drive to re-run the recovery will this work. Obviously I will have no drivers for this installed. Or is there any other way of fixing this.

Thanks for any help

Relevancy 49.02%

My son has a sony ericcson c902 which has a broken screen and I need to try to retrieve his messages and transfer to pc. can anyone talk me through accessing the phone mode without being able to view the menu?

A:How can I retrieve data from a broken SE c902 mobile

I believe file scavenger or data recovery pro has a phone data recovery option

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-can-i-retrieve-data-from-a-broken-se-c902-mobile.117662/
Relevancy 49.02%

About a month ago I broke my laptop s hard drive I was wondering if there was any way to retrieve files from my broken hard drive because it has some important memories on there I have a Dell Inspiron with Vista and I would start up the laptop the Dell logo would appear and after that the data to broken a Any from way retrieve drive? hard screen is just blank and does nothing My father knows someone who was able to fix my hard drive before but I m not sure if it s even possible to retrieve my files Any way to retrieve data from a broken hard drive? because there s no way to log on or get anywhere besides the boot menu Is there any way to fix this without spending crazy amounts of money or am I out of luck Also if I do have to take it somewhere how much does it usually cost I have an external hard drive that I could put the files onto it s just a matter of getting them on there nbsp

Relevancy 49.02%

I m desperate here really need some ideas We offer B amp B accommodation at home All our bookings until October were on the hard disk That hard disk no longer works It does need disk, Help! I data!! recover to Broken hard not boot the computer nor can it be accessed from another computer I took it to the shop where I bought it and they were unable to get it to work The disk turns but for some reason is Help! Broken hard disk, I need to recover data!! not recognized Then the message comes up asking if we want to format it The problem began this morning when the computer got blocked up I rebooted and got a message about a missing or corrupt ntfs sys file in system drivers the OS is Windows XP Professional I tried all the suggestions I found like trying to restore from CD etc but to no avail According to the shop where I bought it the disk is a MAXTOR HD there is something defective Is there any way to recover this data I really need to or else we cannot make any more bookings Would the manufacturer be able to do so Are there services that might be able to help nbsp

Relevancy 49.02%

I have a HP Pavillon dv7 laptop. The screen went black, and when connected to an external monitor, it didn't work. Does that mean that the issue is from the motherboard.

If that is the case, the most important thing here is, can I retrieve the information stored on the hard disk? How can this be done with such circumstance?

Thanks.

Relevancy 49.02%

Hi all, i am requesting some technical assitance in solving this issue.

i have a hard disk that has been recently affected by [email protected] virus and all the .doc and xls files have been reduced to 1kb irispective of their initial sizes and when you open the files you get this error; DATA Error [47 0F 94 93 F4 K5]

I would like to recover the affected files to their original state, i have searched the internet over and no one seems to have the solution documented

currently i am trying to download QuickView Plus (Version 8), i have tried all aplications i can come across, including recover my files, winhex, get data back for ntfs, and r-studio.

i am honestly intrested in documenting the solution to this problem, and am intrested in suggestins on the best way to approach this

looking forward to your favourable reply.

regards

A:DATA Error [47 0F 94 93 F4 K5] Data Recovery

You will most likely need to restore those files from a backup. But don't do anything until you've made sure the virus is gone. Don't want to reinfect the files.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/data-error-47-0f-94-93-f4-k5-data-recovery.504545/
Relevancy 49.02%

Hi,

I have a larged data drive that failed a disk check. It stalls when starting stage two (I belive that is the verification of indexing). I have been able to back-up all of the folders except for a large folder of raw video. The PC locks up when I attempt to access/copy this folder (it appears to be part of the problem). I want to make an attempt to recover this data before reformatting the drive.

The check disk fails both at start up or if I run from the desktop both in regular and safe mode. Does anyone have tips for recoverying this data?

A:Data Recovery of data drive

You could try using a 98 boot disk and then run ntfsdos from there to access the ntfs partitions. Then try an xcopy of that file to another drive.

Another method could be to use Winrar to create a multipart archive and store it on another drive. This might chunk it up enuff.

Or boot to recovery console from the CD and then run chkdsk /r which marks any sectors that are corrupt as bad so they will not be used again, even after format. All take some time, but they are readily availalble fixes.

Alternatively, you could create an image of the drive and save that somewhere else, then run your drive manufacturers disk utility to check integrity of the disk.

Hope this helps

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/data-recovery-of-data-drive.370254/
Relevancy 48.59%

What i am trying to do Update installation media and recovery options to reflect that of Options To How 8.1 after Recovery Broken Fix Upgrade. the current installed OS version What i have done Updated to from Store after running using which was originaly a clean install Had been using installation media to access winRE but after recent issues with recovery options asking for installation media spent time to try and better understand all the recovery options as available in Using the tutorial section of these forums suggest i have broken recovery as many options do not appear including Automatic Repair in How To Fix Broken Recovery Options after 8.1 Upgrade. Advanced Start Up Options After creating DVD ISO then making this UEFI bootable reaslised Recovery options available are not what they should be The ISO was created as per Windows How To Fix Broken Recovery Options after 8.1 Upgrade. and Windows ISO - Download or Create which did not boot using EFI so used oscdimg to make it so as per Anybody gotten the DVD to boot UEFI - Microsoft Community This means i do have fallback recovery reinstall options thankfully After realising i can not make up a USB Start Up disk Recovery Drive - Create with USB Flash Drive in Windows and am aware the WinRE partition on drive is empty I need to place WinRE and system recovery image to that partition before it can be used or copied to any where else - How Months ago i came across a webpage describing how upgrade moved ESP to start of drive Simply moving WinRE partition to start of drive fixed the Recovery options issues users were observing Unfortunately i can not refind the page to what i am referring to but what i describe is the gist of what is described Sample Configure UEFI GPT-Based Hard Drive Partitions by Using Windows PE and DiskPart After noticing recovery option issues and being unable to create a USB Start Up drive started moving partitions around diskpart sees my windows drive like Code Volume C NTFS Partition GB Healthy Boot Volume WinRE NTFS Partition MB Healthy Hidden Volume ESP FAT Partition MB Healthy System and have made a GB Recovery Image partition on another drive A recovery image was made and placed into that partition using the RecoveryDrive exe utility which was around GB in size Diskpart should be showing the MB MSR partition but it does not How to fix What i think i want is WinRE and system image in the MB partition in addition to having the in OS winRE options as well as having the Recovery Image to fall back on before having to reinstall I appreciate having UEFI bootable installation media is the ultimate solution but would like to configure recovery options to a more usable configuration thus removing dependence on using installation media Many tutorials describe using winPE and winRE tools to configure Recovery options refer to using wim files to fix windows image Looking into this sheds some light that using the updated ADK for it is now possible to use the esd files

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/45907-how-fix-broken-recovery-options-after-8-1-upgrade.html
Relevancy 48.59%

Hello I recently decided to recover my Laptop Toshiba Equium A - using the recovery DVD supplied with my laptop Unfortunately my DVD drive has been a little dodgy for a while and midway through loading some files off of the DVD the drive packed up completely I have tried and tried but now it won t boot off of the DVD drive and Windows XP won t start at all When booting from the HDD following failing to access the DVD I get an error stating PXE-E media test failure check cable PXE-M F Exiting PXE Rom Invalid Partition Table I can still access the data on the recovery disk from other computer Is there any way I can move the data onto say a USB hard drive and boot from this I have seen web pages about how boot disk can be created from USB pen drives but I don t think that would work for me as I believe these purely set up the BIOS to read a windows XP install disk from a CD drive Am I right Failing this If I use a USB DVD drive will the BIOS be able to run the recovery disk from this Or any other ideas Thanks nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/toshiba-dvd-recovery-with-broken-dvd-drive.707831/
Relevancy 48.59%

My laptops battery died in the middle of a factory restore. I had been using it as a desktop as the screen is broken. Now the HDMI port does nothing.That is a problem because that was what I plugged the laptop into my moniter  with. all that happens when I turn on the laptop is the screens backlight turns on.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Need-recovery-option-screen-broken/td-p/5611944
Relevancy 48.59%

The data port has snapped on the hard drive. Is there a UK supplier for a new pcb 2060-771945-002? I can only find overseas with prolonged delivery. As I have only owned this computer for about 2 weeks I would like to get it working again. I know that I can get the bios chip swapped locally if necessary. Many thanks dg_hlc

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Broken-data-port-on-WD-blue-hard-drive/td-p/5826814
Relevancy 48.59%

I have a Lenovo T450s with a 4G card and a data plan through T-Mobile. Since I pay per GB, I'd like to limit data usage.

Under Settings->Network and Internet->Data Usage->Edit, there is a "Restrict Background Data" with the option Always, When I'm Near My Limit, and Never.

I changed this to "Always", close the settings, and reopened the settings.

It always switches back to "Never".

Why can't I change this?

PS - I'd really like to easily control what software can talk to the internet. I opened Atom text editor and it auto downloaded a 160MB update. Someone uploaded files to a shared Google Drive folder and it downloaded 500MB of files.

A:Restrict Background Data - Settings Button Broken?

Hi, To control per program access to the internet, you need a good firewall, perhaps a commercial one.

Here's what Comodo says (random choice of supplier), but in this list:
Best Free Firewall Protection | Gizmo's FreewareHow does a firewall help out?

A good personal firewall will

Block all unauthorized inbound or outbound connection attempts on your computerAllow you to specify exactly which programs are permitted to access the internetStealth the ports on your computer so hackers cannot locate and attack youLet you specify parental controls to filter out inappropriate websitesMaintain detailed activity and connection logs so you can troubleshoot issuesIsolate your internet browser in a virtual container so online threats cannot access your private data

You may already have set this.. if not, it may be relevant (uploading updates to others):
Data Usage->Edit - I don't have that setting, perhaps 'cos I've not set something to specify I've a data limit or it's not a mobile device.

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/49295-restrict-background-data-settings-button-broken.html
Relevancy 48.59%

OMG! My Maxtor external hard drive was accidentally bounced off the hardwood floor. It is a back-up to my 7 year old PC suffering from the whirr of death. I started to copy files from the ED to my laptop but was not even close to finishing the process when it fell. Years of music, photos etc are all on the drive. It gets even better -- the PC is dead.

The data port has broken off/pushed in and and is rattling around inside of the the casing. Power to the Maxtor appears to be working fine. What should I do now?

Relevancy 48.59%

So I just got a new PC because my last one had essentially exploded well it blew a fuse or something I m not sure but I got it working in a very unstable conditio again now and now I m trying to recover my data onto the new PC I recover off easily a hdd I computer safely? a from broken can How data m trying to burn it DVD by DVD but it keeps crashing mid disk I ve gotten to disks of content vs eight ruined ones That s no good obviously I had hoped to simply put the old How can I easily recover data from a hdd off a broken computer safely? hdd into the How can I easily recover data from a hdd off a broken computer safely? new pc as an expansion drive or something but I m concerned that it ll just infect my new computer with all sorts of malware as well it s probably riddled at this point In fact I m pretty sure of it Is there a safe way to easily How can I easily recover data from a hdd off a broken computer safely? recover my data without infecting my new PC New pc specs BTW are AMD Phenom Triple-core processor GHz gig ram gig hdd running Vista Thanks for any help that can be offered nbsp

A:How can I easily recover data from a hdd off a broken computer safely?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-can-i-easily-recover-data-from-a-hdd-off-a-broken-computer-safely.823158/
Relevancy 48.16%

I loaned my laptop to my sister for a couple days. I don't know if she went in and just randomly deleted parts of the registry or deliberately downloaded some kind of index of every virus ever or what, but it's been acting weird, and now I can't get into it.

When I got it back, I couldn't open anything though metro, I couldn't open any browser at all (even the exe wouldn't run) and typing google into a windows explorer address bar gave me an error saying it wasn't a recognised class.

Okay, weird...so I reboot. Enter bitlocker key, it boots. The screen is blue and it's... Gibberish. Total nonsense symbols and crap. I can't login. I can't shift restart. I don't have a disk. HALP!

A:I think it's broken (strange errors, recovery inaccessibl

Restore to Factory specs & start from scratch & don't let your sister use the computer again.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/58466-i-think-its-broken-strange-errors-recovery-inaccessibl.html
Relevancy 48.16%

A while back my secondary pc with windows xp home without Need reinstall disc broken is but xp recovery windows to any service pack broke The problem was that the system was not responsive enough filled with rubbish and probably sh tloads of trojans and the sort from a time when I was useless with Need to reinstall windows xp but recovery disc is broken computers I left the computer in the corner for a while and replaced it with a vista laptop After a while with the laptop I decided that I still needed the desktop as well as the laptop was a shared pc and I needed the pc a lot I got the desktop up and running I decided it would be a good idea to reinstall windows xp to get rid of all the problems I stuck in the restore cd It wiped the hard drive and then couldn't continue because I needed to insert a second Need to reinstall windows xp but recovery disc is broken disc which I had lost So now I'm stuck with a pc with nothing on the hard drive and a spare licence key Long story short I have a desktop pc with a wiped hard drive a spare windows xp home no service pack licence key and I don't have a restore disk or a windows xp boot disk What can I do Also pleae note that I am not in the position to borrow an installation disc off a friend etc

A:Need to reinstall windows xp but recovery disc is broken

What brand and model PC?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/need-to-reinstall-windows-xp-but-recovery-disc-is-broken-508521.html
Relevancy 48.16%

I have an older Kodak Easyshare (10 years old). I have photos on the internal memory, and the camera is not working - won't power up, totally dead. Is there a way to retrieve photos from the internal memory when the camera won't power on? Someone mentioned they might have a card inside, and I took the camera apart - no card inside. Anyone know how to retrieve the pics from the guts of the camera?

A:Photo recovery from broken Kodak Easyshare

If the camera is completely dead and its stored on the internal memory, I dont think there is anything that you personally can do. However you could try contacting a data recovery specialist, they can work magic sometimes

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/photo-recovery-from-broken-kodak-easyshare.1046082/
Relevancy 48.16%

Hi!

After having my desktop disappear on me, and trying numerous options, the alternative was to do a non-destructive System Recovery.

Yes, all the data files are still here (thank goodness ~ would have been heartbroken over lost pictures!) but now I have icons on desktop to programs that aren't installed, plus my program list shows programs that aren't there as well.

Is there a program out there that I can use that will search the computer for broken 'things'? I thought I had used one years ago, but I can't seem to locate anything now.

Thanks.
Erin

A:After System Recovery, broken files/programs. ???

HI, If you used System Restore it sets your system back to the way it was at the particular date and time. Any icons etc. would be resurrected and the only option I can think of is for you to delete them manually.

You could use a registry cleaner like JV16 to clean up the registry after you have manually cleaned things up. Peace Mal

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/after-system-recovery-broken-files-programs.123902/
Relevancy 48.16%

Hello, 1,5 years ago I bought Toshiba C55D-A-13G and two weeks ago my HDD was broken, after that I bought new one, but now I don't have operating system because it was on recovery partition and serial key on laptop isn't a installation key for windows 8.1. So what can I do in this situation? How can I recover my recovery partition on new HDD?

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?92825-Satellite-C55D-A-13G-Broken-HDD-no-recovery-partition
Relevancy 48.16%

Hi, I have been given a laptop that has a faulty motherboard. *I have been asked to backup all the data off the hard drive such as pictures and documents.*

I would like to know what is the easiest way to do this. I don't mind buying a device if need be.*

Thanks

A:Quickest and easiest way to backup/retrieve data from a broken laptop.*

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/quickest-and-easiest-way-to-backup-retrieve-data-from-a-broken-laptop.1038008/
Relevancy 48.16%

Hey guys Sorry this is a long story I originally bought a Hitachi External Hard Drive Duo Pro Drive TB for my office Had it for about months Now it pooped out and will not power on Tried many trial and errors Still no avail and Ultimately I discovered the bridge or onboard circuit board has residue and i think its fried I ended up disassembling the External Unit which consisted of two SATA TB HD s When i first bought the external HD I formatted it as NTFS Now when i insert of the hard drives windows says it is a RAW and must be formatted in order to use The nd HD has the same story I don t get it and i am completely lost I have lots of work that is Help!! Expert - External Hard Storage need Data Drive Broken really important and need them recovered I believe it was hard drives that acted as one dynamic drive I am not sure on the specifics on how into works Is it possible to take the two HDD s and insert them into a new external enclosure And access the files I don t know anything about raid etc When i checked both of the hard drives it was quot Healthy quot and in working order according to Windows I had the option to format it Broken External Hard Drive - need Expert Data Storage Help!! and start a new partition Which is what i want to avoid I have never done anything like this before and need data storage Expert help Thank you very much noobie nbsp

Relevancy 48.16%

So my laptop s motherboard broke hard laptop broken Retrieve data disk working from but and unfortunately the only way to fix it at Best Buy is if I pay - dollars which is just not going to happen In fact I don t Retrieve data from broken laptop but working hard disk even need the actual laptop anymore I just need one very important document from the HDD Which I m sure still functions fine I trawled around the internet for guides on getting data from a working HDD written in quot English quot but the only thing I could find was a reference to something called a quot hard drive caddy quot I can t seem to find much about this quot caddy quot except that it holds the HDD in place and I couldn t find any mention of if I could connect it to another working computer via USB Can these caddies be purchased at a local Best Buy Because this is the first time I ve ever heard of one And is there any other way to get this one document from the HDD It is very important to me Thanks Greg nbsp

Relevancy 47.3%

I have two virtually identical Dell laptops running Windows Home Premium.

On one of them I wanted to see what was in the hidden RECOVERY partition so I fired up Disk Manager and added a drive letter. Nothing in the partition made sense to me so I removed the drive letter.

However, windows no longer recognizes the RECOVERY partition. If I run standard windows "Create System Repair Disc", I get an error message "The parameter is incorrect 0x80070057".

The Dell DataSafe program also says it cannot find the RECOVERY partition.

a) Is there some kind of attribute that got changed when I assigned the drive letter and then removed it? If yes, how can I set it back?

b) The laptops are virtually identical. Can I use a recovery disk from one on the other? I'm particularly interested in keeping MS Office 2010 Starter edition intact when I upgrade to Win 7 Pro.

TIA

A:Added Drive Letter to Recovery Partition, Then Removed... Now Broken

The recovery partition should have a letter. The System Reserved does not have one. Can you post a
Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image and I can look at it and see what is wrong. Be sure and widen the columns so all of the print can be read.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/385796-added-drive-letter-recovery-partition-then-removed-now-broken.html
Relevancy 46.01%

Hi,
I?m looking for a Data Recovery company [not a Data Software company] to recover data on my drive that will not spin. Want to spend less than $1000. Please advise.

Thanks,
Joe

A:Recommend Data Recovery Company not Data Software Company

Best Data Recovery Company

I have visited many data recovery websites and evaluated their product.

But my experience with one data recovery is almost excellent.

Nucleus Data Recovery, the leading data recovery company having biggest range of professional data recovery software.

Their support is also excellent you drop a email for any help they will respond within 5 minutes.

To recover your data try Kernel Recovery for FAT+NTFS.

The DEMO allows you to preview the recoverable contents and you can check whether the file is recovered correctly or not by double clicking on it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/recommend-data-recovery-company-not-data-software-company.28462/
Relevancy 45.15%

I have a PC with an asus P X D-E motherboard and an i processor It had not booted for a long time and I put it in storage Yesterday I decided I was going to get it going again I bought a new w psu because I suspected that that was what was wrong with it I replaced that and it still didn t work I replaced the cr bios battery and still no boot I hit issues again... broken, fixed it, broken Boot Broken, the clr cmos button and and booted and I got some life After setting some of the settings in the bios correctly and booting a few more times Broken, broken, fixed it, broken again... Boot issues it was working fine I upgraded to Windows Broken, broken, fixed it, broken again... Boot issues over night shut it down in the morning and went to work Upon returning from work it won t boot it has been off the whole day I have replaced the bios battery again and gone through yesterday s fixes with no luck What am I missing nbsp

A:Broken, broken, fixed it, broken again... Boot issues

if u look thru the reviews u will see that motherboard is plagued with issues http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131641
i myself have had the misfortune of "trying" to work with x58 boards and have given up on a few!!!! not sure if x58 chipset was a problem but whenever i see a computer with it.... i run the other way!!!!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/broken-broken-fixed-it-broken-again-boot-issues.1171442/
Relevancy 44.72%

Hi all,

So my laptop died [I do know a dead one when I see one] during a writing session. Totally dead. 2 uninterrupted hours of stream-of-consciousness with background saves every 5 minutes so I guessed I lost 5 minutes worth, max.

How wrong am I? My problem is that the old days seem to be gone - I take the drive out, put it into other machines/external boxes and try ALL my old tricks.

No data. Zip.

All help/suggestions greatly appreciated.

A:Data recovery

Spinrite? Does the hard drive spin up at all?

Pro and Con arguments ref. condensation (internal) and putting it in a fridge/freezer. I suppose with progressive temperature reduction and dessicants you could reduce the risk and gain the chance of some recovery.

It all depends on the value of the data vs the effort (and expense with commercial data recovery) you wish to expend.

Somewhat disconcerting that both the laptop and drive are dead- suggests significant power problem.

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/36310-data-recovery.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Hi all,

So my laptop died [I do know a dead one when I see one] during a writing session. Totally dead. 2 uninterrupted hours of stream-of-consciousness with background saves every 5 minutes so I guessed I lost 5 minutes worth, max.

How wrong am I? My problem is that the old days seem to be gone - I take the drive out, put it into other machines/external boxes and try ALL my old tricks.

No data. Zip.

All help/suggestions greatly appreciated.

Spinrite? Does the hard drive spin up at all?

Pro and Con arguments ref. condensation (internal) and putting it in a fridge/freezer. I suppose with progressive temperature reduction and dessicants you could reduce the risk and gain the chance of some recovery.

It all depends on the value of the data vs the effort (and expense with commercial data recovery) you wish to expend.

Somewhat disconcerting that both the laptop and drive are dead- suggests significant power problem.

http://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/36310-data-recovery.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Hi i just burned a few games to disk (700meg) it all looked fine so i deleted the games from the recycle bin, then on rechecking the disk i have discovered that the disk now has 7 songs on it each at 44kb although the disk properties say it has 700meg on it so they are there somewhere is there anyway to get the files back either from the recycle bin or the disk ihave win98se thanks in advance ps i only deleted them 5 mins ago and i have not done anything else yet if that helps?

Relevancy 44.72%

Hi everyone.
I recently bought a new computer. I took a 80gb hard drive from the old computer and installed it onto the new one. However when I open this hard drive up in my computer it only sees 32gb (free space). All of my files from the old computer are not showing (48gb worth). How do I get the new computer to "see" or recover the 48gb of files?

thanks

Relevancy 44.72%

Hi Dears,
I am searching for any professional training center who offers Data recovery specialization course and also hard disk repairing course,

Please let me know the training centers in Asia only

A:Data Recovery Course

You do find numerous IT courses online which you can enrol onto and get trained while in the comfort of your home.

This reputable firm is also based in India (so you might want to do on-site training instead of online)
http://www.hdrconline.com/

This is another online firm based in the USA
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/data_recovery_online.html

Hope this helps and good luck

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/data-recovery-course.852755/
Relevancy 44.72%

I find out that my pc had rebooted after an automatic windows update and couldn't load Data recovery windows xp because of a disc error so i tried rebooting a number of times but couldn't get xp to load then i did the stupidest thing ever i have an hp pavillion and there's an option during startup called f system recovery which i assumed would work in the same Data recovery way that windows system restore does i e roll back computer settings to an earlier time like or hrs ago the warning said that i would have to re-install programmes but any data i had created would not be lost so i thought okay this sounds alright and went ahead with it minutes later the process was complete but when i re-booted i still couldn't get windows xp to load instead now i see warnings - - pri master hard S M A R T status bad backup and replace - ntldr is compressed press ctrl alt del to restart i tried re-installing windows xp but i received an error that - c drive is corrupt installation cannot be completed after googling what those errors mean i saw some fixes for the corrupt drives so i'm not as worried about that what i AM freaking out about is the hp f system recovery that i so stupidly went through with - because apparently it restores factory settings and wipes your documents clean Pls help how coud i recover my lost data

plug your disk into another computer with windows as a slave drive and drag across your current files..format your drive and reinstall windows and put it back on :)

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/data-recovery-254511.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Hi,

Could someone please help me with my problem? I'm using Windows XP. I couldn't get it to load Windows it just kept going around and around to the start up process. I tried starting in Safe Mode and it wouldn't. My teenage son got an XP disk from one of his friends and I thought he was going to just boot it, but he reinstalled Windows XP and now all my stuff is gone. (I know I should be backing up to disks, BUT...)

Is there any possible chance I can get all my files back, or are they lost forever.

Hope you can help.

Thankyou.

Liz D

Relevancy 44.72%

Sorry this is kind of long but necessary to say to provide the circumstances in order to properly come to a course of action for data recovery My aunt s PC locked up crashed and when she booted it up right after it and I m told by her it failed to boot into windows She basically is recovery Data please help a novice user so anything outside of Data recovery help please apps doing what they are supposed to do she knows nothing It gave her the option to recover and I m assuming it was Data recovery help please the only option but she couldn t provide me enough detail to determine what occurred during boot up She chose the recovery option and it began and warned her all personal data would be lost She canceled the process but she doesn t know for sure if she did after that warning She called me and the only option I could think of was to take the HD out and try and do a backup and then do recovery Though because she bought it from best buy it was recommended to her to try geek squad as they can fix whatever it was that happened They were going to charge her what I would have to do the back up and fresh install of the OS But apparently they have custom tools they use that make the process better The geek squad tech came to her house and their tools failed and he looked at the HD and told her that all the data was gone So it appears she cancelled the system recovery after it began it s process His recommendation was to have someone recover the data from the HD before doing anything else with it This is where I come in I want to check with ya ll on the best course of action I use recova by piriform to recover files I ve deleted or overwritten but I ve never tried from a HD that was erased or even potentially had the partition deleted The geek squad tech is going to come back out to her house sat oct st He will be setting up an automated backup unit and installing the OS from a disc being provided by HP to install it again He is also putting in a new HD of larger capacity I assume as the old one is only GB And he will copy all of the personal files we are able to recover from the HD for her as well So it is best that if we can recover anything to have it by then I m concerned by the price they are charging for the labor to install the hardware and the OS but I don t think there is much choice Even at my discounted labor rates it wouldn t be too much cheaper Basically I told her to try and get them to waive the OS install fee and just charge for the others As they were going to do the install basically for free in the system recovery process they were only going to charge her to do before Anyways thank you for reading this and in advance for helping me find the best solution nbsp

Relevancy 44.72%

i have posted here before as mom2techsupport but lost my password. so, hello everybody --and i have a question--

i hope someone can help here--i am attempting to recover some pictures of a harddrive. it's a situation i have never run into before and i am completely lost--

drive spins, can hear it.

windows and linux both see a drive, but don't see anything in it. couldn't select repair disk.

the most information i got was from active boot. the drive is 20gigs but was formatted into five partitions. one is 90mb, three are 1 gig each.

and now the weird part--that first partition is formatted in fat12.

any ideas?

for the record, i don't care about the drive itself, my hope is to retrieve pictures for the family that owned it.

Here's a few different tools to try to attempt partition repair and/or partiition data recovery. People have reported good results when using the tools but the result (and certainly quaility of the result) may vary by situation.

Gparted and TestDisk (freeware)
Partition Doctor (free to try, see what it finds, subscription required to apply any fixes
Active File Recovery (free to try, free version limits recovery to files 64KB or less.

For paid software tools, i'd say i've seen more feedback on Partition Doctor. It also appears it knows hot to try and "fix" things in a number of different ways

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/data-recovery.120610/
Relevancy 44.72%

what are the softwares I can use to recover deleted data from HDD....suppose if I shift+delete the data or i delete data from recycle bin....or i format the partition by mistake....

A:data recovery....

I've used the freeware PC Inspector to recover data from formatted and corrupt hard drives. If that doesn't work, there are better programs available, but they're not free.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/data-recovery-565242.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Someone did a re-installation of his Operating System of the C: drive using his computer's 'Acer hidden recovery partition' (the alt+f10 procedure). Then he chose 'do not back up personal data (this will wipe the entire C: drive)' during the recovery process and his system was 're-installed'. All of his personal data was in that C: drive.

Does an Acer hidden partition recovery install zero-format the disk?

Serious issue: He didn't backup his data. His data is now lost, supposedly. Would it be possible at all for me to recover all of his 'my documents' data (important financial data, years of family pictures, ..)? The data is crucial.

I called up Acer (some low level helpdesk support girl answered) and they said "no it's not possible". I don't believe them. Would it be possible to recover his data with data recovery software?

His computer: Acer AZ5610

Windows 7 Home Premium

Relevancy 44.72%

My father's boot partition got badly corrupted to the point where xp pro won't run. He bought a new hard drive and dosn't know what program to use to recover/ repair the data. He wants to use a program via the new drive to read and move the data (not including windows since obviously its not needed) to said new drive. So we we're wondering if any of you know of a program that can do this on ntfs drives (If that matters at all). It dosn't matter if it costs money. Hes willing to pay for it. Thanks in advance.

Relevancy 44.72%

My son had a "missing init.exe error" and tried to solve the problem. The last thing he did was start the destructive recovery process. He did not have the recovery disks and only got as far as backing up the files. This missining init.exe did not let him get through xp start up and I need to get his data off this disk. What is the best way to dod this? Thanks for your help! gogoavgirl

A:data recovery help

Hi gogoagirl, Welcome to TSF!

You have not mentioned whether the problem is with a desktop PC or a laptop; so for the moment we will guess that it is a desktop PC.
The best way to recover data from a suspect 'dead' or corrupt HDD is to 'slave' it inside another PC.
To do this, you will need to physically remove the HDD; change the jumper pins to 'Slave'; install it in the other PC, and you should then be able to access the data.
One piece of advice:...DO NOT attempt to transfer any of the Operating System (Windows?) files.
Once you have retrieved the data thats needed, replace the HDD back into its own PC and format it and prepare it for a reinstallation of Windows?.
What Brand of computer is this?...Different manufacturers have different methods for carrying out a format/installation..please advise us so that we can assist you further.

Kind Regards,

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/data-recovery-help-278906.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Hi! I'm getting into data recovery---bought a program to do it. What I'd like to know is if this hard drive:
5400 RPM Western Digital 120 GB SATA
2.5" Moving Star USB 2.0
External Portable Hard Drive
can be used for data recovery. Since it's a SATA drive, will it work with a computer that has an IDE drive? Also, will it work on a computer that has a 1.1 USB port? I'm looking for info since I've found a good deal on this drive. I figure I can use this drive to recover the data, then either transfer the files to a new hard drive, or burn them to cds or dvds. Any and all responses are appreciated. Thanks.

Relevancy 44.72%

Im not sure if this really belongs here, but any way..

I had to format a computer, and installed Windows again...but first I had to copy the files over..well, I overlooked the desktop and didnt copy those files..

Is there any software out there that will recover these files even after a format has been done? Im willing to pay, but Im not willing to pay to send it to a company to do it. I've tried with Smart File Recovery, but they put each file as 1,492kb. I really need to get these excel and word docs back. They are the courts lol.

Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

A:Data Recovery

Here's a FREE one you can try, called RESTORATION

I never tried it on a reformatted drive but it worth a try. Let me know the out come.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/data-recovery.486063/
Relevancy 44.72%

Things aren't progressing well with my dead hard drive, so I wondered if - worst case - anyone has data recovery places that they'd recommend, preferably in New York City.

:dead:

A:Data recovery in NYC?

The average cost really begins at $450 despite their "free estimates" or $279 flat fee claims. Is your damage at that value? If the plates are cracked or the magnetic material peeled off, or the bearings welded together, it still costs you $450 for no data rescued.
We recommend a place in Ontario, Canada as they best you can find.
Have you tried installing the drive in a USB enclosure that has its own power supply to see what you can see, or if the drive turns?

Some of these may not still be in business. Some data here is from my two-year old book, but these were good when last used.

Here are some we have used with good results when our clients needed a rush job for payroll or taxes or whatever.
Hard Drive Recovery; Free Evaluation, Fees start at $279, 877-840-3282
www.acsdatarecovery.com

Data Recovery/Repair, NYC; Fast www.AmnetDataSolutions.com
New York, NY

Hard Drive Recovery Experts; RAID, NAS, SAN server recovery. 888-567-8328
www.OntrackDataRecovery.com. Been in the business for at least 24 years; I think they are tied into the Ontario, Canada firm

Data Recovery New York; (212) 661-1145. Free consultation
www.ComputerAdvisorsNY.com

Hard Disk Data Recovery; Experienced, Reliable; www.MilesTechnologies.com/Recovery
New York, NY

Recover Data Quickly
www.DriveCrash.com $279 Data Recovery Flat Rate.
Has "Class 100" clean-room; corporate work as well.
www.aerodr.com

New York computer repairs; data recovery consultat free (212) 361-9981
www.BnyTech.com

Drive Recovery of New York; www.WeRecoverData.com/New-York/NY Hard Drives, RAID, Disk, Server; Free Est 212-594-5946

Data Recovery Service
www.DataRecoveryLabs.com No Recovery No Fee - All work done on site - 866-340-0111

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/data-recovery-in-nyc.107720/
Relevancy 44.72%

i have accidentlly deleted a mpg file.is there any software i can download to recover this file?

A:data recovery

An extremely great program to recover files that were deleted. The program is so small you can run it from a floppy disk. You could take it anywhere and access the program on any machine????????????? The program is free and it works like a dream. It is called Restoration 2.5.14. Thanks to Brian Kato for his great work. The website is located at http://hccweb1.bai.ne.jp/~hcj58401/

Good Luck!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/data-recovery.166720/
Relevancy 44.72%

Well it all started when I tried installing an old CD drive onto my system. I then got the error message "missing or corrupt hal.dll file". One thing led to another and what I thought was a REPAIR install of Windows XP, actually erased my whole hard drive leaving only a partially completed Windows subdirectory.

I plugged the hard drive into another computer as a secondary drive and all it's showing is just that Windows subdirectory. I've tried a data recovery program, but it is not showing anything on the hard drive.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
My life is on this hard drive and I haven't done any recent backups (including an important project I've been working on)

Thanks,
Leee

A:Data Recovery Help!!!!

Quick Shot.....

Only can give links to software recovery.

[email protected] UNERASER
http://www.uneraser.com/
System Mechanic Pro
(Has a recovery software included in the package, Works pretty good
from "my experience" with it.}
http://www.iolo.com/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/data-recovery-help.488797/
Relevancy 44.72%

i ll start from the begining of my dilema i have a new computer w out a hdd so recovery? data i re partitoned a g in my old computer for a g partition to whack data recovery? XP onto used partition magic so everythings cool up until this point now i try and load xp onto that g partition by booting from disk i get up to the point where it says choose your partition and yeah it tells me that theres only partition and that it has stuff on it so i ll have to re-format before i can install xp so i just reset the computer thinking that it cant be right now in my computer it says theres only partition and it needs to be formatted ie i cant veiw anything on the disk any ideas i really want my data back oh and i have norton ghost if that helps and can probably get access to any other disk recovery utility if i need to nbsp

A:data recovery?

Since you used partition magic, it should have a partition recover option. I had a similar problem and used PM to recover. Lets see what others say.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/data-recovery.506870/
Relevancy 44.72%

Has anyone ever used a file recovery program before?
Did it work and which is the best one?

The best one seems to be free. There are a couple posts in this forum about lost data recovered by Restoration. In one case, a drive that appeared empty was filled with an mp3 collection that was recovered.

http://forums.techguy.org/t187427&highlight=file+recovery.html

If you use this program, click the Others menu and Scan All Clusters for the best results. The thing should be used by law enforcement!

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/restoration.html

EnCase is another good one actually used by law enforcement. It is excellent at recovery, as you can imagine, but is obsessed with creating "case files" for presentation and recovery takes second place.

http://www.hill-assoc.com/Services/issg/fas.shtml

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/data-recovery.217515/
Relevancy 44.72%

hi,

Last night i was formatted my hard disk AT THE TIME OF installing linux. and accidentally i don't take any backup of my data.

so is there any way to get back of them?.

Relevancy 44.72%

i had a problem with xp so i tried repairing it which didn't work, so i reinstalled it on the same drive, so now i have 2 copies of it one cprrupted & one working well, but is there anyway i can get my data back ? i had important files in my documents & stuff ...

When you startup through the boot menu, or when you select the corrupted install as your operating system, does it give you the same error/message every time?

EDIT: Also, what is the *exact* message?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/data-recovery-251133.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Have a WD green Tb that failed refused to spin up I changed 1TB data HD recovery WD the HD Controller with another equal drive and it spins up When attached as sata drive computer won't boot says can't find boot drive When attached as USB it doesn't data recovery WD 1TB HD mount but tools can see it Testdisk shows it as wrong size data recovery WD 1TB HD tb instead of tb WinDlg shows capacity SMART status unavailable Below is TestDisk report WIll R-Studio be able to make an image with this disk connected as USB Thu Aug Command line TestDisk TestDisk Data Recovery Utility November Christophe GRENIER lt grenier cgsecurity org gt CGSecurity OS Windows XP SP Compiler GCC Cygwin Compilation date - - T ext fs lib ntfs lib reiserfs lib -rc ewf lib disk get size win IOCTL DISK GET LENGTH INFO dev sda disk get size win IOCTL DISK GET LENGTH INFO dev sdb disk get size win IOCTL DISK GET LENGTH INFO dev sdc disk get size win IOCTL DISK GET LENGTH INFO dev sdd Fix disk size using CHS disk get size win IOCTL DISK GET LENGTH INFO PhysicalDrive disk get size win IOCTL DISK GET LENGTH INFO PhysicalDrive disk get size win IOCTL DISK GET LENGTH INFO PhysicalDrive disk get size win IOCTL DISK GET LENGTH INFO PhysicalDrive Fix disk size using CHS filewin getfilesize PhysicalDrive GetFileSize err Incorrect function filewin setfilepointer PhysicalDrive SetFilePointer err Incorrect function Warning can't get size for PhysicalDrive filewin getfilesize PhysicalDrive GetFileSize err Incorrect function filewin setfilepointer PhysicalDrive SetFilePointer err Incorrect function Warning can't get size for PhysicalDrive filewin getfilesize PhysicalDrive GetFileSize err Incorrect function filewin setfilepointer PhysicalDrive SetFilePointer err Incorrect function Warning can't get size for PhysicalDrive disk get size win IOCTL DISK GET LENGTH INFO C disk get size win IOCTL DISK GET LENGTH INFO D disk get size win IOCTL DISK GET LENGTH INFO F filewin getfilesize G GetFileSize err Incorrect function filewin setfilepointer G SetFilePointer err Incorrect function Warning can't get size for G disk get size win IOCTL DISK GET LENGTH INFO I filewin getfilesize K GetFileSize err Incorrect function filewin setfilepointer K SetFilePointer err Incorrect function Warning can't get size for K filewin getfilesize L GetFileSize err Incorrect function filewin setfilepointer L SetFilePointer err Incorrect function Warning can't get size for L file pread buffer lseek err Invalid argument file pread buffer lseek err Invalid argument file pread buffer lseek err Invalid argument Hard disk list Disk dev sda - GB GiB - CHS sector size - WDC WD AAKX- CA FW Disk dev sdb - GB GiB - CHS sector size - WDC WD EARS- Y B FW Disk dev sdc - GB GiB - CHS sector size - WDC WD EARS- Y B FW Disk dev sdd - GB GiB - CHS sector size TestDisk exited normally Fri Aug Command line TestDisk TestDisk Data Recovery Utility November Christophe GRENIER lt grenier cgsecurity org gt CGSecurity OS Windows XP SP Compiler GCC Cygwin Compilation date - - T ext fs lib ntfs lib reiserfs lib -rc ewf lib disk get size win IOCTL DISK GET LENGTH INFO dev sda disk get size win IOCTL DISK GET LENGTH INFO dev sdb disk get size win IOCTL DISK GET LENGTH INFO dev sdc disk get size win IOCTL DISK GET LENGTH INFO dev sdg Fix disk size using CHS disk get size win IOCTL DISK GET LENGTH INFO PhysicalDrive disk get size win IOCTL DISK GET LENGTH INFO PhysicalDrive disk get size win IOCTL DISK GET LENGTH INFO PhysicalDrive filewin getfilesize PhysicalDrive GetFileSize err Incorrect function filewin setfilepointer PhysicalDrive SetFilePointer err Incorrect function Warning can't get size for PhysicalDrive filewin getfilesize PhysicalDrive GetFileSize err Incorrect function filewin setfilepointer PhysicalDrive SetFilePointer err Incorrect function Warning can't get size for PhysicalDrive filewin getfilesize PhysicalDrive GetFileSize err Incorrect function filewin setfilepointer PhysicalDrive SetFilePointer err Incorrect function Wa... Read more

A:data recovery WD 1TB HD

The Drive has failed. You can try using GetDataBack NTFS but I wouldn't expect you will get much from this drive.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/data-recovery-wd-1tb-hd-662371.html
Relevancy 44.72%

I have a problem. I have to add computers to a domain at work that are currently part of a workgroup. My first computer went well. When I did the second PC I may have copied the new profile into the old one instead of the other way around. Now I can not find any data that used to be in the my documents folder from the old profile. Is there a way to recover lost data? Since I didn't technically delete the old profile I was hoping it was still on the hard drive somewhere. Thanks.

You could try using a program like: http://www.officerecovery.com/freeundelete/

Which is free undelete, because of the way windows "deletes" files even when having deleted you can recover the files, If you over-wrote the profiles etc, then this may/may not be possible but give it a go and post back with your results...

Cheers,
Jamey

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/data-recovery-251093.html
Relevancy 44.72%

So Dell said my hard drive is "gone" and they are basically going to replace
my entire laptop--not just the hard drive.

What sucks is--I have some data on there that is really important to me.
Esp pictures, music files, and my writings.

So I contacted a data recovery place -- and they need me to ship my media
to them for a quote. Do I just ship the hard drive or the entire
system (Sorry for the dumb question).

Also...is there anyway to recover the data myself?
I don't want to spend thousands of dollars

and PS Any recommendations for my new laptop? I am kind of
fed up with Dell right now.

Relevancy 44.72%

Had Trouble retrieving data from a hard drive that crashed kept getting access denied message due to my documents having a password on it but following Kimsland advice(below) data recovered Phew thought i lost all my photos
Thanks a million

Xp pro on crashed drive
Xp Home on system i put drive into

Thanks to Techspot For This Great Site Also
Cheers Herb

Security Permission issue http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/security/permissions.mspx

Right click the folder you want to open and choose Properties>Security. Make sure their is a group named "Everyone". If not click Add>Advanced>"Find Now" and choose everyone. Click OK and you should no longer get those nasty Access Denied messages. (refer to the above link to allow specifically your user account to access the old Hard Drive folders)

Note: in Windows Xp Home, the "Security" menu will not show. Just start your computer in Safe Mode (continuously press F8 function key on computer Startup then select Safe Mode)
Also confirm that you are running an Administrator privlidged account. (Check Users in Control Panel)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/data-recovery.105684/
Relevancy 44.72%

Hi All

Dont know if this thread is in the right forum but here goes ...

What is wrong with my HDD? It displays all the files and folders on the drive but only some files have filesizes and the rest of the files haves filesizes that are equal to zero.
I can copy files to the drive and read files from the drive. The HDD is NTFS done through windows.

I think my HDD is ... BROKEN but I cannot say die! To many valuable files on the drive as you all can imagine.

How do I fix or recover the files?

Thanks in advance

Do you mean the data recovery software shows this, or Windows shows this?

Anyway please try this:

Manual steps to run Chkdsk from My Computer or Windows Explorer

Open My Computer, and then right-click the hard disk that you want to check.
Click Properties, and then click Tools.
Under Error-checking, click Check Now. A dialog box that shows the Check disk options is displayed
Use one of the following procedures:

? To run Chkdsk in read-only mode, click Start.
? To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, select the Automatically fix file system errors check box, and then click Start. (tick)
? To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors check box.

Note If one or more of the files on the hard disk are open, you will receive the following message:

The disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility needs exclusive access to some Windows files on the disk. These files can be accessed by restarting Windows. Do you want to schedule the disk check to occur the next time you restart the computer?Click to expand...

Click Yes to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check.

Wait until Chkdsk finishes Checking / Repairing any faults
Windows will then either restart your computer or continue loading Normally.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/data-recovery.99347/
Relevancy 44.72%

I recently was done wrong by a pawn shop and they ended up deleting 98% of my files except of my ex-gf. Anyway, I'm not the most tech savy but I did research and found Miniool Power Data Recovery. After purchasing, I realized it said something of the sort that if I try to recover from the same drive I lost files from onto the same one It will ultimately be a fail.

Is there another way around this? Do I have to buy a external hard drive? I'm in desperate quick need of help.

Thanks

A:Data recovery help

Its always recommended not to restore to the file drive as it could cause conflicts or override itself.

So I would as you already mentioned buy an external drive or even a USB drive large enough to hold your recovered data.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f50/data-recovery-help-277364/
Relevancy 44.72%

Is there any way possible for data to be recovered after a drive has been wiped - possibly reformatted/repartitioned?

A:Data recovery help please

Depending on how much has been done after the format, GetDataBack may do the trick

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/data-recovery-help-please.580328/
Relevancy 44.72%

Hey all, I need to know what software can recover/repair a damage/corrupted HD?

My friend is having problems with his HD, windows doesn't recognize the drive anymore ...windows asks to format when he clicks on his drive.

It's a removable Hard Drive...my other friend had the exact same problem (he took it out while the current was still on) and used a Norton product to fix it...i can't reach him right now , he's on vacation... :0

Which product does the job? Or any other product would fix this problem?
My friend used a shareware program, and was able to detect his files.

Thanks for the help.

Relevancy 44.72%

I have been backing up my data onto mostly DVD-Rs for storage and reuse, but with some things that need updating, I have been using either CD-RWs or DVD-RWs. My hard drive actually died on me, and I had to do a reformat, and now, of course, all of the RWs aren't readable.

Are there any ways of possibly recovering that stored data from the disc onto the hard drive?

Running XP Pro SP 2, with 1GB Ram and 1.6 GHz AMD, and a TSSTCorp CDDVDW

Relevancy 44.72%

Hello I have a MAC and when I turn it on it makes a noise like zzzzzzzzzzzz tac zzzzzzzzzzz tac. And then I can see my files but not open any of them. Any idea what the problem may be? Thanks in advance.

Sounds like the hard drive is making this noise. Common with a crashed drive that is attempting to read a sector ( portion of the hard drive where data is stored ) and unable to read it and it retries over and over again and is like a record player that has a scratched record where the needle skips back to the prior track etc.

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,148008.0.html
Relevancy 44.72%

about a year ago i backed up all my family pictures onto a CD using Nero Burning ROM. As i remember it an error came up just as the disc was finishing (ive had this happen a few times over the years of using Nero Burning ROM and never thought anything of it; the data/music etc. that i put on the disc was always fine).
However, i recently had a hard drive fail and ive lost all my family pictures and when i try to get them from the backup disc my entire computer freezes until i eject the CD. i can open explorer and see the folders on the disc (e.g. Mum + Dad, Holiday 1995) but its only when i click on them to view the pictures inside that the computer freezes.

Is there anyway i can get my incredibly important (to me personally) back??

A:Data Recovery From A CD?

ive never used xcopy before...ive found some online instructions for it but how long should it take? its a full CD of pictures so 700MB

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/data-recovery-from-a-cd.101675/
Relevancy 44.72%

I recently had to have my HD replaced and i need to recover the data from the old HD, mainly Photos. I was told that the HD had an electrical failure as opposed to a mechanical one if this helps..any suggestions on where i can send the HD to get the data recovered would be great..