Windows Support Forum

Windows 8.1 cannot find RAID array

Q: Windows 8.1 cannot find RAID array

Hi guys, I have set up a RAID 0 array using an XFX Revo64 controller card and the Netcell bios setup that cones with it. According to the Netcell bios the array is working but booting into 8.1 I cannot find the drive in explorer and device manager shows the Revo64 as "Generic Mass Storage Controller ".

I am very new to Raid this is the first array I have tried to setup. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Kind regards,
Jay

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Windows 8.1 cannot find RAID array

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Windows 8.1 cannot find RAID array

Why not use the RAID card as more sata ports and then use windows to make your RAID array? I've never used a controller but im sure that it would work for that purpose.
just go on youtube and find a video on how to setup RAID in windows 8. I know its possible for windows 7 to im pretty sure 8.1 will have it

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-8-1-cannot-find-raid-array.208501/
Relevancy 91.16%

Hello,

I have just bought two brand new WD 500 GB RE4 HDD's and connected them coorectly for RAID 1.
I have changed the BIOS and Pressed Ctrl+F to create the RAID and this has been successful.
When installing Windows you obviously get to the aprt where you need to load the floppy drivers to locate the drives...

I have downloaded ever driver from the Gigabyte support drive and loaded them onto a USB, not one driver can be seen when the USB is "Browsed" too...

How important is it that the drivers are on a floppy, as I do not have a floppy drive or access to a floppy and drives.

Also what driver should be downloading as I tried the 3.2.1540.17 one and that was not seen, so I just downloaded them all in an attempt for success.

Any one with any advice its greatly welcomes thank you in advance

A:RAID 1 Gigabyte SATA Cannot find the array during Windows 7 install

Hi and welcome,

We need a bit more information about your hardware, especially the motherboard - there are many models of Gigabyte motherboard. Please follow the instructions in this tutorial to populate your profile with the relevant information, and I'll see what I can find for you:

System Info - See Your System Specs

Regards,
Golden

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/252059-raid-1-gigabyte-sata-cannot-find-array-during-windows-7-install.html
Relevancy 79.12%

Hi all My RAID I think I have two equal drives that are mirrored array was causing me a lot of pain It kept freezing up my system and having me to had to rebuild the RAID too often After a number of tests and browsing questions deleted array, have RAID Windows RAID - 7 but I ok info online I've decided that the RAID was the culprit of the freezing and BSODs that came once in a while Before deleting the RAID array I went and RAID - deleted RAID array, Windows 7 ok but I have questions used the Seagate my HDDs iso file and used their diagnostic tool to check the drives I did a long test of one of the HDD Device and it passed I deduced that this was at least a good drive I didn't do a long test for the other HDD Device But with both after a short test both passed I then went into the RAID manager DOS-looking screen before Windows starts and then 'reverted' Device to non-raid Then decided to choose 'delete RAID setup' for the Device All good so far I rebooted and Windows actually started fine This is where I'm at right now as I type this No freezing so far What I wanted to know is how do I find out which HDD Windows is booting off from Is there a command line I can use in command prompt window in DOS mode to find out this info It'd be great to know that I'm not on Device since I haven't done a Seagate diagnostic long test on that one Also I'd ideally want to have the second Device HDD formatted so that I can leave it in my tower and use it as an external HDD with Syncback This is the closest thing I can have to RAID and I'm perfectly happy if I can get that setup since I'm done school and don't do any heavy software and intense workload on my system that I'm risking a lot to lose Is this even possible Windows lists both disk drives in the device manager but only one drive C under 'My Computer' So far no freezing Before when RAID was still on my system I'd be frozen three times by now If anyone has any feedback about this I'd much appreciate it My system stats - Windows Home Premium full retail bit - age of system is approximately months - haven't formatted system since new install - Gigabyte motherboard

A:RAID - deleted RAID array, Windows 7 ok but I have questions

You can do into Disk Management and it will tell you which drive is used for booting. It will say it is active.

I am confused as to one part. You say you want to leave the second drive in your computer, but use it as an external. You can use one as your main drive, and use the other for backup...however a good backup process involves a drive that isn't readily available all the time. That being said, something like SyncToy from Microsoft will allow you to choose folders and on a schedule or manually, copy them to the second drive. I use this on my wife's laptop to keep her photos backed up to our server.

RAID has no place on a desktop system, so you are better off without it. But to get started, just go into Disk Management to see how your drives are configured now. Post a screenshot if need be.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/225503-raid-deleted-raid-array-windows-7-ok-but-i-have-questions.html
Relevancy 75.68%

Hi Everyone,

I have just cloned a RAID array and I am concerned about it's performance.

A bit of background...

My Motherboard = ASUS Z9PE-D16
RAID Card = PIKE 2008 LSISAS RAID card

The initial RAID array consisted of 6 x 1TB Seagate Constellation (ST1000NM001) SAS drives in a RAID1+0 (10) configuration.

The new array consists of 6 x 4TB WD SATA drives in a RAID1+0 (10) configuration.

Initial performance is quite slow, but this may just be due to parity checking. On paper the original, and new drives are comparable.

Whilst the original drives were SAS and the new drives are SATA they both operate at 7200RPM and have 6Gbps interfaces.

My question is - "Is my initial slow performance likely due to parity checking, or will I experience ongoing slowness?"

Any help here will be greatly appreciated. Furthermore whatever you offer with regard to help may assist a piece of Australian Cultural heritage!

Kind Regards,

Davo

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/slow-performance-on-new-raid-array-after-cloning-old-array.1157596/
Relevancy 72.24%

Hi Striped 7 Windows Array RAID in I have a Dell XPS with two GB hard drives I had XP on it but today I upgraded to Windows Pro - because I was starting from XP I had to do a clean install of XP before setting up Windows In the old setup I had a Striped Array and I was Striped RAID Array in Windows 7 backing up essential files to an external hard drive I set up a partition on each of the drives but when I go into the BIOS and switch the two drives to quot RAID ON quot Windows won t boot up Only after going back into the BIOS and switching the drives back to the quot ON quot positions does Windows boot up When I go into my computer it shows Local Disk Drives C which is the one it is working on and D with no information Do I even have a Mirrored Array set up right now or am i just working off of one hard drive Any advice I don t want to start loading in software if I need to go back and reinstall OS Thanks

A:Striped RAID Array in Windows 7

Do I even have a Mirrored Array set up right now?No you do not, you must create the array first and then partition, format and install windows on it.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/288682/striped-raid-array-in-windows-7/
Relevancy 72.24%

I m currently running Windows XP Pro SP on my system My system consists of the following Intel Core i CPU stock settings P T Deluxe MB with BIOS One Gb WD VelociRaptor HDD contains OS and programs Two WD Gb Caviar Black HDD s set up Array XP RAID Windows on Issue 0 in a RAID O array contains all of my RAID 0 Array Issue on Windows XP personal data and files Gb of Corsair MHz Dominator RAM three matched Gb modules GeForce GTX SSC Edition video card Silverstone Strider W PSU I ve just installed a second WD Gb HDD and using the Intel Storage Console I set up a RAID array with my current VelociRaptor RAID 0 Array Issue on Windows XP that has the OS on it After rebooting my system the Intel Storage Console does show that the two drives are set up as a RAID volume but when I open up my Windows Disk Management program I m showing my original VelociRaptor still as the C drive with the original Gb of useable space and the new drive s information right beside it also with Gb of space that is unallocated Also opening up My Computer shows that original C drive with Gb of space and not the total of Gb How do I bring those two drives together so they so up as one Gb drive Is it just a matter of putting a primary partition on that second drive or is there something more that must be done Any tips would be appreciated Thanks Bill P nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/raid-0-array-issue-on-windows-xp.892145/
Relevancy 72.24%

Tech staff at the Microsoft store say they are being blocked from upgrading my Pavillion 410t desk top to Windows 10 by the settings HP installed when HP built my computer with my RAID 1 array, and that they have successfully done the upgrade on this model PC when RAID was not installed. Does HP have a solution to change or bypass the settings to allow the upgrade and maintain my RAID 1 array. Apparently the HP recovery partition on the ghost drive may be interfering with the upgrade attempt.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Software-and-How-To-Questions/Windows-10-upgrade-with-RAID-1-array/td-p/5709982
Relevancy 72.24%

hi,
I'm new so bare with me ok...

I just finished building me new pc. I have 2 western digital 500 GB serial ATA which is SATA hard drives and I'm trying to configure them in the raid 0 array (striping). I managed to set up the array just fine. However, when I install windows an error occurs. I press F6 so I can install the necessary drivers but, whenever I am asked to "Please insert the disk labeled Manufacturer-supplied hardware support dist into Drive A: *Press enter when ready." Windows set up reads nothing from my disk. The motherboard I am using is the Asus M2N4-SLI and it comes with a driver CD which is where I got the drivers from. Also I am using a note book computer with an external USB floppy.

A:Need help installing windows on Raid 0 array

You might want to check Asus' site and get the raid drivers from there. I've had trouble before when using raid drivers off the disk that came with the mobo.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/need-help-installing-windows-on-raid-0-array-144663.html
Relevancy 71.38%

I've been dealing with this for hours I've looked all across the internet and I have yet to fix my issue SPECS ISSUES MSI GT Titan Laptop Windows I just bought installed two Samsung SSD Evo M s I already have a TB HHD with all my stuff and OS on it windows -Not Samsung Followed these instructions perfectly in Video directly from MSI https www youtube com watch v md eUqKrKo I have already Raid configured my two new SSD's into a Stripped Array and booted SATA etc The system on boot does not install try to install an OS It acts like there should be an OS and fails the Windows screen load freezes for a sec on the colors then brings me to sec blue screen that I cant even read its so fast then it starts the quot start windows normally screen or restore previous version quot neither of which work cuz it just fails over again etc Why can't wont it let me install my OS Yes I have the boot Disc in the cd drive also It is the first OPTION on boot Any help leading to this will be appreciated I'm beginning to think I'm ruining my computer restarting it so much trying to figure it out I've tinkered more and decided to test out just a normal array of the SSD's to non-raid and when I boot it just ignores trying to install on the new SSDS and loads up the Trying 2x 7 850 Raid to install Windows in or Samsung Array. Evo's on OS from my HDD Even more frustrating Apparantly when the two SSDS are Stripped and Together they are DYNAMIC and they can't have a OS installed onto them Now googling more issues Still clueless Am I missing something small or is there a larger problem here

A:Trying to install Windows 7 on 2x Samsung 850 Evo's in Raid or Array.

Hi and welcome to SevenForums,
Go into bios and disable fast/ quick startup
Should be all that is needed
This is the only raid I know of

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/390070-trying-install-windows-7-2x-samsung-850-evos-raid-array.html
Relevancy 71.38%

Ok i just bought two Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB drives for a raid 0 array and i was wanting to copy my current windows 7 partition over to it once i get it set up. If any one could help me in figuring out how to set up the array and moving/cloning the win7 partition over to it please let me know. i have a Foxconn A7DA-S mobo and it has built in raid support but i dont know exactly how to use it yet.(never done raid before) But yea, just a recap:

1. Set up the raid 0 array on my Foxconn mobo
2. Copy the windows 7 partition over to the raid array

Thanks in advance people.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-i-copy-a-windows-7-partition-to-a-raid-0-array.140601/
Relevancy 71.38%

Guys,

Is it possible to use a separate hard disk for your OS and programs with data storage on a RAID Array consisting of two (or more) identical hard disks?

Would the system disk need to be the same size as the disks used for the RAID Array?

Thanks!

Fly'n_Blind!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/raid-can-you-use-a-independent-hd-for-your-system-disk-with-raid-array-for-data.83025/
Relevancy 70.52%

This is so aggravating I always put off rebooting because my computer is busy with downloading or I'm playing a game or have a conversation or whatever So I get home from work and then I try to reboot I click on the shut down button and Windows goes away and then I see the normal update progress percentage I walk away thinking it's fine But now my computer won't boot Quote Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key The hardware is fine I know it is I have four hard disks in a RAID configuration with an Intel controller built into my motherboard My BIOS can recognize the disks and I can get into the RAID controller menu What's strange is that when trying to use a Windows Recovery Drive none of the options can do anything and my keyboard doesn't work on it for whatever reason but if I click on 'System Image Recovery' and then 'Install a driver' the file explorer UI pops up and I can see all of my files there and I can even open txt files I can even look at a lasagna recipe I saved years ago in Notepad Through this I tried to install the driver for my RAID controller but it probably didn't do anything unless the array after downloading Windows updates RAID array boot won't didn't work in this interface and required the driver I wish the System Restore option worked but it says quot To use System Restore you must specify which Windows installation to restore Restart this computer select an operating system and then select System Restore quot Stupid thing doesn't even have its own restore feature and assumes I can get into safe mode at all So I'm thinking this is a classic case of an update SNAFU but I have no idea how RAID array won't boot after downloading Windows updates to get around it I tried using my Windows install DVD to fix it but that eventually runs into a BSOD during the quot Setup is starting Windows quot period which is very troubling Quote Technical information STOP X B XF D XC X X So does anyone RAID array won't boot after downloading Windows updates know what I can do to get Windows bootable again I'm not going to be able to install a fresh RAID array won't boot after downloading Windows updates copy because of the BSOD so that's out

A:RAID array won't boot after downloading Windows updates

Use the File Explorer UI and browse to C:\Windows\Minidump. If there are any .dmp files present, copy then to an external USB drive.

Use 7zip to zip them, then upload them here as an attachment.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/399200-raid-array-wont-boot-after-downloading-windows-updates.html
Relevancy 70.52%

Hi apologies if this has been answered elsewhere couldn t see anything related to this specifically This may just be me being stupid so sorry if that is the case My issue is that the RAID does not appear in quot My Computer quot Do I need to partition amp format the drives before they will appear If so is it easiest to create them using Windows XP install and just abort before format amp install If its not above then here s the details I have just purchased SATA HDD s and Installed them to an existing computer with a single hard drive running Windows XP Pro I have enabled the SATA ports in the BIOS and enabled the RAID option having completed this I pressed F on boot to access the RAID utility I have created a RAID array with the drives On boot the system picks up all Hard-drives and it states the RAID is healthy before booting into Windows I have installed the RAID controller drivers that came with my MOBO Any Raid C Windows New not in showing Array drive) Solved: (not is help with this matter is greatly appreciated Kind Regards Nnahrino nbsp

A:Solved: New Raid Array (not C drive) is not showing in Windows

yes you do need to partition and format. To get to disk management if you dont already know is to click Start, Run, type compmgmt.msc, and its an option in the left hand side.

You must be using a Nvidia Controller for RAID right? The media shield option in your motherboard Nforce driver package is the windows utility for that.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-new-raid-array-not-c-drive-is-not-showing-in-windows.778957/
Relevancy 70.52%

Forgive me if this should go in Hardware rather than Win My motherboard cpu fried and replaced it with new ones Change the SATA config to RAID Transferring the Windows (moved from 7 Raid forum) Array and was able to recreate the array on the new motherboard I didn t actually have to actually create it it just recognized it Transferring Raid Array (moved from the Windows 7 forum) once I changed the SATA config to RAID and my volume label name was there was using used the Intel Chipset Only thing now is that obviously the OS won t boot up BSOD on Boot I m able to get on Startup Repair but all the options on there none of them are helping me get into Windows Restore Point and Automatic Repair I m pretty sure this is something beyond that obviously but was wondering if anyone can explain to me what I m missing or what s going on And what can I do to fix it if possible If that fails I m okay with reinstalling windows but I ll need help in transferring over my files if thats possible - I m assuming so because it recognizes the volume TIA nbsp

A:Transferring Raid Array (moved from the Windows 7 forum)

Best way is to install another drive. Do not make this part of the raid array. Install windows on the single drive however do not activate it. Once windows is installed, and functioning on the raid controller, make an image of the single drive. Now access, copy, whatever you want from the raid array. Once you are all finished, you can remove the single drive. Boot with the rescue disk for whatever imaging program you used. Restore the image to the array and you are done. Copy back whatever data files, etc you copied above. When you are all done [and everything is working] go ahead and activate windows.

The above is one of the many reasons why I do not like onboard raid. IMO if you want raid, then buy a real raid card.

I use and recommend acronis true image for the above task however there are a few free programs that will do this also. The problem might be the raid array. I do not know if the free version of macrium will recognize a raid array.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/transferring-raid-array-moved-from-the-windows-7-forum.1147682/
Relevancy 70.52%

I have two TB disk drives as storage space Originally I set these up as a RAID array but am now using this PC for DVR purposes and not so much for actual work so the disk space is more valuable than the redundancy So I wanted to undo the RAID but the RAID is not my boot disk so I figure it would be a piece of cake I backed everything important up onto an external USB drive and got to windows trying up (not array split RAID 1 a when disk) my PC Borked to work I originally created the RAID array using the Intel Rapid Storage Storage Technology software so I figured that was a good Borked my PC when trying to split up a RAID 1 array (not windows disk) place to start However at this point the software wont open I tried uninstalling it but when I try to reinstall I get an error about not working in this 'environment' After a bit of unsuccessful troubleshooting I decide to skip on the Intel software and work with the windows Computer Management Disk Management bit In there I find both physical disks listed but one is inactive indicating that there's a quot device signature conflict quot I used the command-line fixer thing to bring the disk back online so now Windows sees two Borked my PC when trying to split up a RAID 1 array (not windows disk) independent drives So far so good When I start moving things around I get a BSOD within minutes and it keeps happening All I can see on the BSOD screen is quot QL not less or equal quot But it is appears to be somewhat cut off by the tv monitor So I figure maybe that DVR-destined drive went bad since that was the one under heavy load when the BSOD started and I remove it from the system Everything is fine for a bit but then another BSOD with same error details I google the details and see it commonly blamed on driver problems So I go in and uninstall the Intel Sata AHCI controller as recommended online However I often get a quot windows update on next reboot quot notice and after a reboot I am back to the Intel AHCI controller That works for a bit but another BSOD does show up later that night So now I have removed BOTH TB drives from the system and am running some stress tests mainly watching TV through an OTA antenna which so far have not led to a BSOD My next thought is to do a fresh install upgrade to Win not carrying over programs and settings Hopefully that will use all new drivers and then I can put the two TB drives back in the system working independently Would that work Is a good idea Any better ideas

A:Borked my PC when trying to split up a RAID 1 array (not windows disk)

Update:
On the recommendation of others, I have reinstalled the two 1TB drives, but on different ports in the MOBO. I browsed bios a bit to see if there is any reference to RAID, but there is none. All disk drives are reading as AHCI.

So, for now, all is well. Anyone know what those BSOD logs are saying?

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/385501-borked-my-pc-when-trying-split-up-raid-1-array-not-windows-disk.html
Relevancy 70.52%

yeah so i can t say im really surprised that there are issues here but i just dont know what to raid old mobo, boot! new wont windows array, do i had a striped raid array on my old asus a v x mob on the old board i had one drive running into an IDE channel and one into a sata channel ide to sata adapter the new mobo is also an Asus the a v socket one on the new mobo i have the same hard drive going into the IDE raid channel as before and the nd drive going into one of the sata raid channels tried both sata channels neither works on the new mobo when i start the computer and go to the raid controller menu it recognizes the array no problem i deleted it and rebuilt it new mobo, old raid array, windows wont boot! too during boot the raid array is quot functional quot anyways when it gets past POST it goes to the screen that says quot windows failed to load properly last time quot and asks what i want to do safe mode safe with networking normal startup etc etc no matter what i choose though it just restarta the computer and goes through POST again windows never loads so any advice i can update any info if i missed any details thanks a lot nbsp

A:new mobo, old raid array, windows wont boot!

a little more info:

under boot bios there are only 3 devices listed
FT TX ARY 1
floppy
cdrom

i can only assume that ft tx ary 1 is the raid device.

i eventually took everything apart again and put my old system back together *cry*

so windows boots ok on my old system.
anyone got any ideas what may be wrong with my new setup? its still a promise raid controller, i dont see why it wouldn't recognize it.
i'm unfamiliar with the bios on the new mobo but its pretty self explanatory. the only thing thats really "different" is that on my old mobo you had to enable RAID booting, and then put the raid device up on the bootlist.

on this new mobo i dont think i saw an option to enable RAID booting. maybe its hidden?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/new-mobo-old-raid-array-windows-wont-boot.372958/
Relevancy 70.52%

Hi..thanks for the help...I have XP installed on a non raid drive C: I am trying to install XP on a RAID0 set up.....I have tried to install the raid set up but the puter reboots after a BSOD right when it tries to get to my desktop...is it because of some conflict with another OS on the non raid drive? I tried to disconnect the non raid drive before booting up the raid XP but still..no dice...any ideas?
Thanks
FoxK

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hi-is-it-hard-to-install-a-copy-of-xp-on-a-raid-array-after-its-already-on-non-raid.480467/
Relevancy 70.52%

hello everyone I am thinking to renew the whole data in current renew can data how array? RAID question: I raid the in raid array md My environment is raiddev dev md raid-level persistent-superblock chunk-size nr-raid-disks nr-spare-disks device dev hdb RAID question: how can I renew the data in raid array? raid-disk device dev hdd raid-disk this dev md is home so I m not booting from this disk and the other file systems including root and boot are on dev hda What I want to do is to renew the whole data in home Is there any way to do this by switching dev hdd with all new data copied then sync this new data to the other raid disk dev hdb FROM dev hdd the disk just added with new data TO dev hdb currently active raid disk Usually after switching the HDD to new one data in dev hdb is to be copied to dev hdd for recovery But in my case I want to do the opposite I would be so appreciated by all your helps Thank you nbsp

A:RAID question: how can I renew the data in raid array?

I'm not sure what you want to do.. You want to copy something to the /dev/hdd disk (from another computer maybe) and then copy the data from /dev/hdd to the RAID array?

Since you are using RAID1 then it should be fairly simple.
You just simulate disk failure by removing /dev/hdd. You could do this by making the hdd drive hdc instead (jumper it to be the secondary master). Now you mount the "hdc" drive (that really was you hdd) and copy whatever you want to /dev/md0.
Since it's a RAID1 array then all the data that goes to md0 is written to hdb and when the /dev/hdd comes back the RAID is syned onto both disks again.

I'm not sure if that makes any sense to you. Can't be less obscure than your post though

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/raid-question-how-can-i-renew-the-data-in-raid-array.21482/
Relevancy 70.52%

My mum recently gave her computer to me since she got a netbook and thought that she wasn t getting enough use out of such a computer An error message kept showing up when I powered on the computer apparently this had been showing up for some time It was on the Intel Matrix Storage Manager before Windows started one of the physical disks were listed in red However the computer was still in full working order but I wanted to get rid of the screen that kept coming up so in an attempt to fix it I went into the Matrix Storage Manager s configuration utility and Array Non-Raid :( to Reset now please help and nothing's 0 my Solved: working, Raid not knowing what it would do reset the disk listed in red to Non-Raid Now ever since I ve done that I ve seen nothing except the BIOS all that comes up after Solved: Reset my Raid 0 Array to Non-Raid and now nothing's working, help please :( the Matrix Storage Utility now is a device listing and it says at the bottom DISK BOOT FAILURE INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER I inserted an OS disk and nothing would come up Since then the closest thing I ve had to progress was by going into the BIOS settings and changing the hard disks SATA mode to IDE After setting it to that the Matrix Storage Utility doesn t show up which I thought was a good sign at first but then afterwards the same final screen shows up but the message at the bottom had changed Boot from CD Then after a couple of seconds loading it comes up with Missing Operating System Since I ve had this problem I ve tried discs to try and save my own I first tried a Windows xp installation disc but I still had no reaction after it said Boot from CD and carried on to show Missing Operating System I then went on to try the free operating system Ubuntu on disc that also had the same outcome I had a final try at making a disc with something on called Ultimate Boot CD which was supposed to be able to fix problems like I m having but yet again the same outcome Before it s mentioned I have had my boot priority set for CD first Here is a slideshow of pictures I ve taken of the screens I m getting from the computer Note Start at picture and go in a backwards order down to when I uploaded the pictures they came out in a back to front order I will also post details below talking you throw each picture http img imageshack us slideshow webpl id jpg That s a slideshow of pictures of different screens I ve accessed on the computer The first is the basic default start up screen The second is the screen that shows up next The third and fourth are from the menu that shows up when I press Ctrl I when on the second screen and as you can see it s saying I can t create a raid volume because of No disk space The fifth picture is what comes up after I exit that menu or don t press Ctrl I on the second screen The sixth seventh eighth and nineth pictures display me going into the BIOS and changing the hard disk to IDE note in each picture the options on the menu I have highlighted are the ones I go into which take me to the next screens if this helps The tenth screenshot is what comes up after the Philips screen when the computer s first turned on this is after I ve set the hard disk to IDE The eleventh screenshot is what comes up after that and is a slight change from the fifth Computer specifications Philips Freevents MT Intel Core Duo E GB HDD RAID SATA rpm GB DDR RAM MHz x DVD R RW DL OS Was running Windows Vista Ultimate until this happened Please please help me fix this problem I don t care about what s on the hard drive I had already backed up my mums documents and was still in the process of moving mine on there so mine are still backed up I don t care about the operating system going either I have xp or Ubuntu to go on However I just want the computer back up and running cause my mum s flipping out that I ve mucked it up and I ve been toying around on it and searching all over forums to try and fix it for two days now nothing s worked out nbsp

A:Solved: Reset my Raid 0 Array to Non-Raid and now nothing's working, help please :(

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-reset-my-raid-0-array-to-non-raid-and-now-nothings-working-help-please.917149/
Relevancy 70.09%

Hey everyone Several hours ago I woke up turned on my computer and to my horror windows did not start regularly Instead I got this message on the black screen that nvidia fun boot won't load, array raid & Windows agent appears before windows starts quot Raid Array Press F to enter raid setup utility quot I then get this message after several seconds of waiting quot Boot from CD DVD Nvidia Boot Agent Client Mac Address lots of numbers here quot I Windows won't load, nvidia boot agent & array raid fun read some stuff that I found by googling and I suspect that its related to my NIC but I could be completely wrong here Anyways I tried disabling it via the BIOS but I couldn t find it What names can my NIC appear by in the BIOS list Or could it be something else I tried changing the boot order in BIOS so that the harddisc will be first in priority but it didn t seem to help Please any help would be greatly appreciated I m an animator and graphics designer and even though I have partial backups of my works it would suck really bad to lose all of them I only need windows to load up successfuly once so that I ll be able to backup everything and then format it if needed My comp specs Windows XP pro motherboard GIGA GA-K NF- Processor AMD Athlon bit x DDR RAM Graphics Card AMD Xt PRO THANKS nbsp

A:Windows won't load, nvidia boot agent & array raid fun

You are getting the msg because the array has problems and the system is attempting to boot from a network.

To fix, you need to first find out if one or more of your drives have failed. Download and run the drive maker's utility for checking drives.

I am guessing you are using raid0 and not 01, 5, 1, etc.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-wont-load-nvidia-boot-agent-array-raid-fun.747675/
Relevancy 64.5%

Hi RAID and Clean Install Driver Install Win7HP-Help Array and New with RAID RAID Win Home Premium newbie Short version of long story - replaced old dead RAID Drives in Win XP system with new GB Drives plus plan to upgrade RAM to GB would have liked more but and install new OS WIN Home Premium Bit New RAID Array and Clean Install Win7HP-Help with RAID Driver Install MB is GA-EP -UD R Rev and I am having trouble figuring out how to get prepare and install the Intel RAID Drivers for Bit Win HP My main problem is that on the Gigabyte site they offer two RAID Drives Quote Intel SATA Preinstall driver For AHCI New RAID Array and Clean Install Win7HP-Help with RAID Driver Install RAID Mode Note Press F during Windows setup to read from floppy OS Windows XP bit Windows Server bit MB Quote Intel SATA RAID AHCI Driver OS Windows XP bit Windows XP bit Windows Vista bit Windows Vista bit Windows bit Windows bit Windows Server bit Windows Server bit MB The first quot pre-install quot driver extract to a Bit bootdisk - Win XP and the second quot I do not know when to use it quot Driver extracts to a iata cd exe This is where I am totally lost Which RAID Driver and from where do I install during the clean install of Win I get the need for a USB Stick Thumb Drive with the RAID Driver on it that Win will ask to be pointed at but which Driver I cannot extract anything from the iata cd exe Tried -Zip Universal Extractor and File Alyser - I do not see a Win Bit Raid Driver Do I point Win at the whole file The first Driver states that it is for Win XP Bit or Win Server Bit but it is extractable My new RAM and OS will arrive in the next couple of days so I really need help with this

A:New RAID Array and Clean Install Win7HP-Help with RAID Driver Install

The pre-install driver will allow setup to install the files correcty on the RAID array this is offered for XP only.

When you have created the RAID array in the BIOS Utility and you launch the windows 7 setup does it show the new array as a possible install location? If so there is no need for a pre-install driver (Win7 supports a variety of RAID setup out of the box).

If you do need a pre-install driver, you have not been offered one for Win7/Vista on the Manufacturers website. The only solution to this I have found is to Download "7lite/Nlite" and build the "post install" driver into the win7 image then burn a new disk (or burn to USB pen for faster install).

Hope this helps.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/285813-new-raid-array-clean-install-win7hp-help-raid-driver-install.html
Relevancy 64.07%

I would like to know how to set up three hdds to read as one. Is it possible to make all three small hddsto be read as one for ease?

Thank You

Relevancy 64.07%

When I bought my PC 7 years ago, I asked the techs to create a Raid 0 array with my 2 200GB WD drives. Recently, I have been reading the comments here and on other forums to stay away from Raid arrays as they are more problems then they are worth.

What I want to know is what is the best way, and procedure to accomplish this, to remove this Raid 0 array and use my 2 200GB SATA drives as separate drives with the OS on one and data on the other. I will probably partition the OS one as I do not need 200GB for Windows 7.

Am I correct in assuming that once this RAID 0 array is broken, I will lose everything and will have to do a clean install of Windows 7 plus all my apps?

thanks

A:Raid 0 Array

Quote: Originally Posted by beastmaster

When I bought my PC 7 years ago, I asked the techs to create a Raid 0 array with my 2 200GB WD drives. Recently, I have been reading the comments here and on other forums to stay away from Raid arrays as they are more problems then they are worth.

What I want to know is what is the best way, and procedure to accomplish this, to remove this Raid 0 array and use my 2 200GB SATA drives as separate drives with the OS on one and data on the other. I will probably partition the OS one as I do not need 200GB for Windows 7.

Am I correct in assuming that once this RAID 0 array is broken, I will lose everything and will have to do a clean install of Windows 7 plus all my apps?

thanks

Backup all of your data, make sure that you have backed up all of your data. Remove the array configuration, get out your Windows DVD, reinstall the OS, patches, and all applications, copy your data back from your backup.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/180175-raid-0-array.html
Relevancy 64.07%

I am getting ready to set up a RAID Array but this is my first time doing anything with RAID. I know how to get into the BIOS and change settings and I know with two hard drives, I should do RAID 1. However, I just have a few questions before I do this. First off, I am an idiot and did not notice that my first hard drive I got when I built the computer has a 32 MB Cache:

Caviar Blue 1TB 7,200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive WD10EALX - OEM

I noticed it only had a 32 MB CACHE when I went to get another one. I then asked for the version with a 64 MB CACHE (WD1002FAEX), paid for it and left. Will these two hard drives work together in RAID if they have different sized caches? Please give me any info/experience you may have with this or anything with RAID would be helpful, thanks.

A:Help w/ RAID Array

The short answer is yes, they'll work. Onboard cache is internal to the drive, and as long as the drives are the same size, then RAID 1 (mirror) should work fine. I don't think it would make much difference, but the drive with the larger cache should be the primary drive just for efficiency's sake.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/236254-help-w-raid-array.html
Relevancy 64.07%

Not sure (and this may be a dumb question) but is it possible to add another HDD to my box and set up a RAID array between the new HDD and my existing HDD WITHOUT having to reformat the existing drive (thus, without having to reinstall windows?)

Thanks in advance for the the big "NO!" that I think is coming

A:RAID Array

Quote: Originally Posted by eduede

Not sure (and this may be a dumb question) but is it possible to add another HDD to my box and set up a RAID array between the new HDD and my existing HDD WITHOUT having to reformat the existing drive (thus, without having to reinstall windows?)

Thanks in advance for the the big "NO!" that I think is coming

Hi and welcome

Could you be more specific about between?
Ken J+

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/45753-raid-array.html
Relevancy 64.07%

So I currently have a Vista Business 64-bit. I also have 2 1tb drives. I have one of the terrabyte drives with vista on it and over 300 gigs of information. I would like to put this drive in a Raid 1 array and do not want to have to reinstall vista and lose all of my stuff. Is there anything I can do to make sure this all gets to the RAID 1 array?

A:Raid 1 Array

Setting up a mirror RAID Config should mirror to the second disk. You should not lose any data, Set it up as a broken array, and let it "rebuild". (approx time to rebuild 1TB is 12 hours)

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/201059-raid-1-array.html
Relevancy 64.07%

I just made a -drive raid array on my kid s computer like this Iwill KK motherboard with ghz Athlon PC ram Promise Fasttrak raid controller Two IBM gb ata drives each a master on its own channel I fired it up and made a raid array with the two drives gb total kb stripe Ran the Windows XP Pro I need my some Raid with help array...please! install CD and created two partitions on the array of about gb each and installed WinXp on the first one formatting it with NTFS It took a LONG time to format well over an hour Once the Windows desktop was running I installed a few more programs The ATTO disk benchmark showed transfer speeds in the range for the C drive so I thought all was well But then I noticed I only had less than mb free on the drive I checked the size of what was installed and found it to be just over mb giving a total of just under gb These figures are shown on the drive properties screen Next I fired up the Disk Manager in the Administrative tools and it showed both partitions in their correct size of gb No clue I need some help with my Raid array...please! why I was only apparently accessing gb of the C drive I then tried formatting the D drive but after another long process the format failed No reason given What s going on I seem to recall there was I need some help with my Raid array...please! some sort of gb partition limit in FAT but I m using NTFS Can anyone shed some light on this Am I missing something obvious nbsp

Relevancy 64.07%

The Intel Matrix Storage manager does not support adding an additional drive to the array. I have 3 160's now and want to add the 4th. I can set the drive up as a spare only. Is there any other way I can add the 4th drive to it without starting all over and having to install all again. If I have to I will set it up with both a raid 0 and a raid 5 to have the best of both worlds but if I can get the array to take the 4th and migrate whatever then I will leave it with just the raid 5 setup.

Robert

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/raid-5-array.636445/
Relevancy 64.07%

Hello. I am new in installing SATA HDD so i am confused when i installed the drive for the first time the nvidia raid bios setup asked me what type am i going to use on the HDD so i selekted the first one that was working (striping). Now my question is: did i selected the proper type ? because i saw that there is other like mirroring and stripe mirroring. If a made a mistake how can i fix it.

A:Raid array

It depends what you want to do. Without getting into a discussion about the value of RAID on a home system in general stripe is what you want. Do some reading here. RAID0 is stripe and RAID1 is mirror.

Just make sure you do back ups of your data to another storage source.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/raid-array.666439/
Relevancy 64.07%

My dad wants a new PC built - he wants a half-decent one he only surfs web music and streaming videos - he plays Flight Simulator X but thats all his current setup is Ghz Pentium with HT Gb Ram Gb SATA-II Mb cache nVidia GS Mb Mhz Windows XP SP now where thinking Core Duo or quad if cheap enough Gb Ram x Gb SATA-II drives RAID is ARRAY best? which - in RAID array better nVidia graphics card Windows my question is this WHICH IS BEST RAID ARRAY TO USE the reason we decided to use these method is for extra performance - now RAID ARRAY - which is best? im aware that RAID stripes the data so if drive were to fail then he would have to re-place it or re-install windows on single drive - but you get the most free space and best performance from this what about MIRRORING as he doesnt use much space anyway would he be best with this option DO YOU STILL GET THE SAME PERFORMANCE FROM MIRRIRON AS YOU DO WITH STRIPING except you get less space but if one drive fails everything will still run off other drive his disk usage would only be about Gb without mirroring if you DO get the same performance with mirroring then how much space would he get from x Gb and installs obviously use double would he still get Gb with the performance increase from raid ing two drives together - just installs are double thats fine in that case he would only use Gb of the Gb which leaves him AMPLE thanks nbsp

Relevancy 64.07%

Hello I am having a problem with setting up a Raid array I am using Windows Vista Ultimate along with an Asus Raid Array M NPV-VM motherboard After viewing videos on Raid Array setup on Youtube I decided this chore should not be so difficult I entered the bios and followed the prompts and made my Raid array No error messages and both of my WD HDD were listed and the array was boot enabled and labeled healthy I then inserted my Windows Vista Ultimate CD and clicked on Repair and on to restore my pc Windows discovered my external backup and I then chose the backup that I wanted I followed the prompts and then clicked restore and received a message that stated that there were to few drives or not enough space to continue I now do not know how to proceed Any suggestions Raid Array would be helpful I call this PC my quot learning PC quot I am trying to learn some of the more exotic functions of my PC I have read that the Windows Vista built in backup utility is good for backup restore but not to be used for Raid Is this true If so what product would help me with this issue Thanks in advance for any suggestions Charles

A:Raid Array

I'm no expert but i do know ... On a complete pc restore "which I'm guessing your trying to do" Your new HDDs must be as large or larger than the original.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/384981/raid-array/
Relevancy 64.07%

Well this morning my tb drive seemed to have failed i got home and was surprisingly able to access it again so im backing everything up off of it now array Raid 1 im thinking Raid 1 array once i get this replaced of buying another drive and setting them up as RAID do raid drives have to be the exact same model or just the same capacity i currently have a St AS which i cant find in stores only online would adding a ST N A AS-RK still allow me to set up a raid array thanks for the help edit - also how would setting up a raid array work once again would i need of the same drives if not would having two tb drives not exact same model and a gig drive work if so how i know it limits the capacity by the size of one disk which disk would it the extra capacity be removed like would it end up being a tb tb or a tb g also for each way do i need any special cables or hardware for each one my mobo is the Asus A N-E which i looked up on and it says it supports raid but im not sure how support for raid works if mine even supports it how would i check or know sorry im new to raid arrays lol basically anything a newbie to raid arrays should know help me out XD i am very computer literate though fyi nbsp

A:Raid 1 array

plasma dragon00 said:

Well this morning my 1tb drive seemed to have failed. i got home and was, surprisingly, able to access it again (so im backing everything up off of it now) im thinking, once i get this replaced, of buying another drive and setting them up as RAID 1. do raid 1 drives have to be the exact same model, or just the same capacity? i currently have a St31000340AS which i cant find in stores, only online. would adding a ST310005N1A1AS-RK still allow me to set up a raid 1 array?Click to expand...

Most cards that support RAID1 will allow you to use two hard drives that are not identical. The smaller of the two capacities will be the size of your RAID1.
ie: Drive 1 = 998GB and Drive 2 is 1TB, the RAID1 size will be 998GB

plasma dragon00 said:

edit - also, how would setting up a raid 5 array work? once again, would i need 3 of the same drives? if not, would having two 1tb drives (not exact same model) and a 200 gig drive work? if so, how? i know it limits the capacity by the size of one disk. which disk would it the extra capacity be removed (like would it end up being a 1tb + 1tb or a 1tb +200g?) also, for each way, do i need any special cables or hardware for each one? my mobo is the Asus A8N-E which i looked up on and it says it supports raid 0/1, but im not sure how support for raid 5 works, if mine even supports it. how would i check or know?

sorry, im new to raid arrays lol. basically, anything a newbie to raid arrays should know, help me out XD (i am very computer literate though, fyi)Click to expand...

You need three drives of the same size otherwise the size of the smaller drive is used as the final size for all drives. RAID5 gives you faster reads but slower writes.

ie: two 1TB + one 200G would be the same as having three 200GB hard drives

If your motherboard doesn't support RAID5 you can't use RAID5

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/raid-1-array.125099/
Relevancy 63.21%

I have a lot of experience building my own computers but no experience at all with RAID arrays I have purchased a RAID PCI Card that should arrive at the house today I already own Seagate gig hard drives and want to set them up in a RAID configuration I have Googled to try to find instructions for setting it up but really haven t found setup instructions From Array Setting RAID up what I have read it looks like I will lose everything on my hard drives and will have to reload OS and software again because I don t have a rd hard drive For just a quick start I plug in the PCI card install both HD s electrically connect the HD s to the RAID card and then reboot Is there some type of software that needs to be loaded for the RAID on the reboot You guys know of any place I can find instructions on how to do this Any assistance would be greatly appreciated Thanks Jim nbsp

Relevancy 63.21%

Hello all and please be gentle with me as I m an intermmediate level of expertise Maybe not even that I had my Raid crap out on me on Sunday and I get an error message when the RAID controller s BIOS boots up It s a Highpoint controller and it has driver BIOS version s on it The controller s BIOS screen comes up and lists hard drives amp and then has a little message screen that asks quot power off destroy continue quot If I select quot continue quot and press enter then a second BIOS screen comes up same as the first screen only this time it has hard drive listed and has the same little message screen Through experimentation I plugged and unplugged various drives in different combinations and think I ve determined that the drives amp are the parity drives and drive is the original hard drive that amp have the split data because if any thing other than amp Raid 5 Broken array is plugged unplugged I get the bootscreen screen that ask insert disk boot from disk or press F First question Does this make sense sound right Second question If I select quot destroy quot on the second screen that lists the drive will it destroy data on all three disks or just on Third question If I choose quot destroy quot for hard drive can the Raid start the Broken Raid 5 array rebuilding process again using the same drive or do I need to reformat it or buy a new drive My drives fyi are WD GB rpm If more info on the drives is required I can provide it Thanks to any and all who may respond nbsp

Relevancy 63.21%

OK....what's the deal?
I have 2 - 200GB drives and 2 - 80GB drives, This totals 560GB.
From this, I'd like to create Array1 with 10Gb's for the C drive and OS.
Then I'd like to create Array2 with 550Gb's for my data files.

I know I can do this if I was using SCSI disks with Compaq's SMART controllers, but I can't find anything that says I can do it with IDE ATA.

SIIG's best only allows raid0, raid1, and raid0+1
Promise is worse: they truncate the larger disks to match the smaller disks.
Adaptec is unclear whether they can or not.

Anyone?

A:Can't you do multi-array raid with IDE ATA hdd?

You haven't stated what OS you're running, so I'll assume you have Windows 2000 or XP (you can do this in Linux too, but I haven't tried it). What you can do is make a RAID-0 of the two 80GBs and a RAID-0 of the two 200GBs (using whatever RAID card you get). Then make a 10GB partition on the 2x80 array, and install Windows on that. Then you can just use Windows' built-in software RAID to join the rest of the 2x80 array with the 2x200 array to make a single large JBOD drive. That way all your data is still striped, but you get the 10GB + 550GB configuration you desire.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-you-do-multi-array-raid-with-ide-ata-hdd.286146/
Relevancy 63.21%

I am trying to upgrade to XP Pro x64 from XP MCE sp2. Is this possible on a RAID array? I have [2] 300GB HDDs in a RAID 0 array using the nvidia raid controller on my MoBo: Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe WiFi.

Thanks, Jon

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/installing-a-different-os-on-a-raid-array-224511.html
Relevancy 63.21%

I have never set up a Raid Array and am seeking help/ a tutorial.
I have two SATA WD 7200 HDs with the proper cords and everything. I really don't know where to go from there, please all the help I could get would be great.
Raid 0

A:Help setting up a RAID 0 Array

welcome
start with this
good luck

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/help-setting-up-a-raid-0-array-87515.html
Relevancy 63.21%

Ladies and Gents of the Seven Forums I am in need of some advice and guidance and maybe some constructive criticism for configuring SSD as a as cache for ARRAY HDD help RAID SSD cache for HDD Now let me begin by giving some specs here Intel GB SSD TB HDD Win x Intel Rapid Start Technology Utility cups of coffee ha So I recently setup this duo in RAID array or at least I think I did I haven't fiddled with this setup before so I apologize in advance for any quot noobiness quot Quick summary of what I have done Changed SATA mode to RAID in BIOS Installed OS Win SSD as cache for HDD RAID ARRAY help x Ran the Intel RST utility My issue is as follows When windows restarts I get the Ctrl-I prompt for RAID config Was i supposed to do some extra configuring here after the fact or just leave it alone I am under the impression that Intel RST utility tool took care of this If not what steps do I need to take to finalize my work Any and all help appreciated thanks in advance

A:SSD as cache for HDD RAID ARRAY help

What are you trying to accomplish?
What type of RAID?
It requires at least two drives for a RAID.

This may be what you want.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/24882...echnology.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/235514-ssd-cache-hdd-raid-array-help.html
Relevancy 63.21%

Hi, I've got a simple question. Say I wanted to start over and re-install Windows XP. I used to use a Win98 boot disk to partition and format the harddrive, but that was on a typical IDE harddrive. How would I go about completely wiping/formatting two (2) Western Digital SATA harddrives in a RAID 0 array? Using a Win98 boot disk, the disk doesn't recognize my Raptors and tells me I have no harddrive. What is a common, easy to understand process for completely formatting RAID 0 using only two drives? Thanks.

A:How to format a RAID 0 array?

The XP setup will recognise the RAID and prompt you to format the RAID array.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-format-a-raid-0-array.289467/
Relevancy 63.21%

How does this apply when you are Cloning Array a Raid cloning from a parallel install I am trying to clone a W k Server Domain controller from a smaller to larger raid array Both arrays are on the same controller an Adaptec SA I am booting to a parallel install on a sata drive connected to the controller on the motherboard and performing the clone of the smaller array dead to the larger Cloning a Raid Array array The system completes the clone then reboots back to the parallel install I then change the settings in bios to change Cloning a Raid Array the boot order and reboot and that resolves the problem of booting to the parallel install but changing the boot order on the raid controller does not result in the larger array being seen as the C Drive when the smaller original Cloning a Raid Array array is connected I am loathe to disconnect the smaller original array prior to my knowing everything works because if something goes wrong and I cannot get the original array back on the controller I could be in serious trouble I have gone through the cloning procedure twice already so I know it works I just have to get past the drive assignment issue Any help would be greatly appreciated nbsp

A:Cloning a Raid Array

Even though it appears you're having the same problem, please start a new thread. It's very difficult to keep two problems straight and who's working on what in a single thread. Thanks for your cooperation.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cloning-a-raid-array.461846/
Relevancy 63.21%

So I have an external array on Raid GPT 5 Damaged hardware Raid array consisting of x TB drives yielding little over TB of formatted space connected over eSATA The array has about TB of data on it One sad afternoon I was copying some data when my computer decided to freeze It did not quot un-freez quot itself in timely manner so I was forced to manually reboot After the reboot all came back online but the windows gave me message that if I want to use the disk RAID array I will have to format it Needless to say I turned pale The RAID utility shows the raid as intact with no errors The Windows recognizes the quot drive quot and does assign it a letter but I cannot access it it wants Damaged GPT on Raid 5 array a format The disk manager recognizes the quot drive quot as healthy but in RAW file format I have used Active Partition Recovery freeware on it and it does recognize the quot drive quot partition and all the files folders can t copy and paste them figures However in the properties it states the the GPT is damaged All the data is there but I can t get to it or get it out What are my options at this point Thanks Desperate and pale Pioneer nbsp

A:Damaged GPT on Raid 5 array

Please note that anything you try to do now can cause more damage.

Give TestDisk a try. its free opensource software free data recovery software! It was primarily designed to help recover lost partitions and/or make non-booting disks bootable again when these symptoms are caused by faulty software: certain types of viruses or human error (such as accidentally deleting a Partition Table). Partition table recovery using TestDisk is really easy.
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/damaged-gpt-on-raid-5-array.202439/
Relevancy 63.21%

I updated to Windows 10 Pro with a clean install and had issues with my RAID array showing up as raw format. I was able to take a backup of it from my W7 drive then rebooted into W10 deleted the array in Disk Management, deleted the array in the controller BIOS and then recreated it in the BIOS. Now I'm trying to recreate the array in W10 Disk Management and the option to create a RAID 5 array is greyed out so I made a stripped volume and its giving me the available space of all 3 disks not 2 - 1 for parity as I would expect.

I installed the drivers stickyed at the top of these boards before attempting to recreate the array and the controller shows up in device manager. I haven't started restoring the backup yet while I figure out if its seeing the array properly and if not what I can do to get working properly.

A:Recreating RAID 5 Array AMD

Anyone else having this issue?

EDIT: Updated system specs in signature

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/11656-recreating-raid-5-array-amd.html
Relevancy 63.21%

I have just set-up a RAID 1 array with two 500GB hdds using a raid controller PCI card having learned my back-up lesson the hard way .

Everything seems to be working. Windows XP is seeing it as one drive as i would expect but i want to check it. Is it just a case of unplugging one of the drive and seeing if it still works or is there a more elegant way of testing it?

Oh, and it's just for data. The OS is on a separate drive.

Cheers for your help.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/testing-a-raid-1-array.637879/
Relevancy 63.21%

After a power failure, one of my striped drives was not functional in the array anymore. I had to delete the array and redefined it. I have run Norton Disk Doctor and it seems to recognize that there is a drive, but it asks if I have trouble accessing the partition. It (NDD) then runs a search for the FAT, but can't find any.
My problem is that WinXP doesn't recognize my array. It doesn't show up in Windows Explorer. But other programs seem to be able to see it. I ran QueTek File Scavenger and it finds all the files on my array.
I haven't written to the array at all. All the data is intact. WinXP just seems to not recognize that there is an array there.

A:WinXP does not see RAID array.

Do you have the drivers for the RAID installed.
Nothing should really accesible if you had the RAID striped...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/winxp-does-not-see-raid-array.398034/
Relevancy 63.21%

The continuation of my building, I'm booting it up now, and all's well, I'd like to know how to set up a RAID array that will read and write off of both my 120 Gig Seagate Harddrives for even more speed.

Relevancy 63.21%

Hi There I recently built a new PC I used an ASUS P WD Premium mobo gig or Ram ASUS ATi PCi Graphics Maxtor Gig SAT H d s and Raid Failed Array Sony DVD-RW amp DVD-Rom I setup the MAxtor s in Raid Stripe My pc failed to boot a couple of times but went ok after a re-boot but a few days ago it had turned Failed Raid Array itself off When I re-booted it I noticed that although the Raid Array is listed as normal and bootable and both H d s Failed Raid Array are seen one is listed as quot Error Occurred quot and will not boot After some fiddling it does get to say that Windows cannot boot due to the system config system file being missing or corrupt but if I go to the Repair consol from my XP CD it will do nothing If I try quot CHKDSK quot it says it has unrecoverable errors and it does not appear to be able to access the h d s in any way such as making directories or displaying the directory tree I have new drives to go in to get me up and running again whilst sending the faulty ones back but is there a way of getting them up and running to be able to get some files of of them and or wiping them before I send them back Even better can I repair I have tried the Maxtor Power Max software but it does not see the h d s I guess because they are in a Raid Array Any help please Dave nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/failed-raid-array.497586/
Relevancy 63.21%

Hey all So I'm running an ASUS M N -E mobo which has the Nvidia nForce a SLI chipset array RAID recognized? isn't with built-in SATA RAID array isn't recognized? RAID I bought a pair of TB Samsung SATA hard drives to set up in a RAID RAID array isn't recognized? mirrored array for backing up pictures and the like but I can't get the thing to show up in Windows for the life of me I first installed the nVidia driver set which supports in-Windows setup and configuration of RAID arrays Nvidia Mediashield With that all installed I shutdown installed the two drives on SATA ports amp which are supposedly for dedicated RAID according to the mobo manual I went into the BIOS and set onboard SATA to RAID and went to the RAID configuration utility to make sure both drives were showing up they are At first I didn't set up the RAID in the BIOS config because I was going to do it in Mediashield Once I got back into windows the two drives show up as unpartitioned drives in Windows drive manager and so I load up Nvidia Mediashield go through the steps to set up the array and when I click quot finish quot the utility locks up for about minutes at first I thought formatting the array but then closes with no messages Once mediashield closes the drives no longer show up in the device manager or drive partitioner and no RAID array shows up either Rebooting is the only way to get them back I've tried plugging the drives into different SATA ports tried setting the RAID up in the BIOS config utility and then booting to Windows and tried uninstalling and re-installing the Nvidia software drivers When I set the RAID up in the BIOS config utility and then boot to Windows the drive just doesn't show up at all but the BIOS post shows the drives set up in a healthy array So what gives Is my onboard RAID bad Do I need to update my BIOS I'm stumped

A:RAID array isn't recognized?

Quote: Originally Posted by mastacox

Hey all,

So I'm running an ASUS M4N72-E mobo which has the Nvidia nForce 750a SLI chipset with built-in SATA RAID. I bought a pair of 1TB Samsung SATA hard drives to set up in a RAID 1 (mirrored) array for backing up pictures and the like, but I can't get the thing to show up in Windows for the life of me...

I first installed the nVidia driver set which supports in-Windows setup and configuration of RAID arrays (Nvidia Mediashield). With that all installed, I shutdown installed the two drives on SATA ports 5&6 which are supposedly for dedicated RAID according to the mobo manual. I went into the BIOS and set onboard SATA to RAID, and went to the RAID configuration utility to make sure both drives were showing up (they are). At first, I didn't set up the RAID in the BIOS config because I was going to do it in Mediashield.

Once I got back into windows the two drives show up as unpartitioned drives in Windows drive manager, and so I load up Nvidia Mediashield go through the steps to set up the array, and when I click "finish" the utility locks up for about 5 minutes (at first I thought formatting the array), but then closes with no messages. Once mediashield closes the drives no longer show up in the device manager or drive partitioner, and no RAID array shows up either. Rebooting is the only way to get them back. I've tried plugging the drives into different SATA ports, tried setting the RAID up in the BIOS config utility and then booting to Windows, and tried uninstalling and re-installing the Nvidia software/drivers... When I set the RAID up in the BIOS config utility and then boot to Windows, the drive just doesn't show up at all (but the BIOS post shows the drives set up in a healthy array).

So what gives? Is my onboard RAID bad? Do I need to update my BIOS? I'm stumped...

Ok, Let's run some thoughts,

1. Can you Init The Array using Your Local Disk Management, and just skip mediasheid and BIOSRAID?

2. Are you sure the RAID didn't Correctly Finish and you need to make sure that your GUI ust isn't Configured to the wrong listening port and just doesn't see the new array?

check those and lemme know i'll be checking for a reply...

Hope this helps, and Good luck

-Tweek

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/158426-raid-array-isnt-recognized.html
Relevancy 63.21%

I currently have 2 * 1tb hard drives in a RAID0 array.

I have just installed a 120gb Samsung SSD drive and want to reconfigure the array so I have a more traditional setup ie:

C: 120gb (OS)
D: 1tb (Files)
E: 1tb (Video)

I have run boot & nuke to remove all trace of everything on the drives, unplugged the array and plugged the drives into different sata ports on the motherboard, but BIOS still shows the hard drives as 'Performance' 2tb combined.

Any ideas how I can break the array so BIOS lists as separate drives?

A:Breaking A RAID Array

I wouldn't think that was possible. Did you completely disable the RAID functionality in the BIOS? I could see them showing up as inaccessible, until they were formatted.

Was this a software RAID setup, or were you using a controller?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/274567-breaking-raid-array.html
Relevancy 63.21%

I am doing a self build and have a gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Rev.2 motherboard,6gb 2000 corsair ddr3 memory,intel i7 930(bloomfield) cpu,corsair hx850w psu,2 x XFX 250 gts core edition 1gb ddr3. The m/b has 2 x sata3 6g/bs headers which I want to use for the main hdds and also want to use an ssd 64gb as a boot device in a raid 0 array but 3 into 2 headers won't go could someone please help with the best solution as the purchase of the drives is all I need to start and complete task. Should I just stay with sata 2 3g/bs.
thanks xangord

Relevancy 63.21%

I m having a problem with a potentially failing RAID array and or disk drives Two weeks ago I was burning a DVD from files on the RAID array when the burn failed with a data read error The array subsequently displayed array RAID failure? the following characteristics Event Viewer showed a The device fasttrack did not respond within the timeout period error followed by a thousand simultaneous errors that said An error was detected on device harddisk during a paging operation The RAID drive and all directories were viewable in Windows Explorer No files within those directories could be read or written however and switching to thumbnail view would not show thumbs of images of any size The Disk Manager within Computer Management would not detect the RAID array After rebooting the array works as usual It has again failed during another DVD burning operation just today and again works after a reboot My configuration Athlon Gigabyte GA- VAXP Via onboard Promise RAID controller Win I have many drives in the system but only two in RAID They are IBM GB GXPs in RAID- Windows is on a non-RAID GB drive The system runs with something like uptime since when I bought it My questions How can I test the integrity RAID array failure? of an onboard RAID controller Is there an equivalent to SMART How can I test the two drives connected to the array Windows SMART utilities do not recognize the array as SMART-aware and because it initializes after the regular BIOS I can t check it before Windows boots Thank you for any help you can offer nbsp

A:RAID array failure?

Well, the best advice I can offer is to do a backup of any data on the RAID drives right now!

If you want to test the drives independently, you'll need to use the disk manufacturer's utility and configure the RAID controller to allow the drives to be used in a non-RAID environment. Obviously, this is best done when you have proper backups of what's on the drives!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/raid-array-failure.428799/
Relevancy 63.21%

I noticed something odd...

In an attempt to ensure all files (including boot files) were installed on only my SSD, I disabled all my other HDD's in the BIOS.

Installed Win7 RTM x64, everything worked well. BUT when I re-enabled all the other HDD's...Win7 blue screened before it could load (got half way through the animation, then poof, blue screen)

Wouldn't boot in Safe mode, System restore did nothing...

Reinstalled Win7 with my SSD and RAID array enabled and everythings fine.

Seems Win7 can't handle a RAID array being added after installation, as in it can't find or handle the driver for it when it gets suddenly added.

Anyone have a similar issue? Not looking for a resolution because I have everything running fine now. Just curious if anyone has encountered this or similar.

A:RAID Array Issue?

Quote: Originally Posted by Cyberwolf

I noticed something odd...

In an attempt to ensure all files (including boot files) were installed on only my SSD, I disabled all my other HDD's in the BIOS.

Installed Win7 RTM x64, everything worked well. BUT when I re-enabled all the other HDD's...Win7 blue screened before it could load (got half way through the animation, then poof, blue screen)

Wouldn't boot in Safe mode, System restore did nothing...

Reinstalled Win7 with my SSD and RAID array enabled and everythings fine.

Seems Win7 can't handle a RAID array being added after installation, as in it can't find or handle the driver for it when it gets suddenly added.

Anyone have a similar issue? Not looking for a resolution because I have everything running fine now. Just curious if anyone has encountered this or similar.

CW

Win 7 does seem to be finiky when it comes to raid. I found out the hard way not to remove the raid when I recommended a user not have the controller attached when he was installing. It fixed all the other problems with drivers till he installed the reaid controller the BSOD. SO I guess its a balancing act.

Hope this helps

Ken

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/22154-raid-array-issue.html
Relevancy 63.21%

Hi all.

I currently have 2 500GB drives configured in a RAID 1 array (totalling 500GB of available storage). This is quickly filling up and I will soon need to add more space. The drives are currently attached to a 2 channel RAID controller PCI card.

What I want to do is buy a 4-channel controller card (like this one) and two 1TB drives to add to my array. Totaling 1.5TB of storage.

Will this work or do all the drives need to be the same size? Will I be able to set this up without having to wipe the existing drives? Is there anything else that I need to be aware of when setting this up?

Cheers for your help

Relevancy 63.21%

I have a P computer with a RAID O array containing HDD and the Highpoint software tells me at bootup time that the RAID broken 0 array is array is broken or to check one of the disks because one of them is not working After that RAID 0 array is broken it continues to boot but stops when it is time to load all the drivers I get to see the Windows XP icon and after that the screen goes blank All this at a RAID 0 array is broken very slow speed The windows XP icon remains there for a couple of minutes as if it were searching for info Then I see a flahs on the screen as if it were trying to load the desktop butnothing else happens How do I fix the array so I do not lose any data How can I recover the data is the array is broken and I can t fix it The C HDD is connected to IDE on Soyo Dragon PX Ultra mobo The other HDD are connected to IDE on mobo which is connected to the Highpoint controller System Details P Ghz x on Soyo PX Drago Ultra mobo Watts Power supply Maxtor gigs HDD s Geforce Mx video card Soundblaste Audigy Sound CArd Sony CDRW Floppy Drive which has been disabled on BIOS Zenith quot monitor Thank you Regards Kshroben RAID 0 array is broken nbsp

A:RAID 0 array is broken

well

3 drives in a RAID array ? Maybe 2 of them are.....

If one of the drives in the raid array is a gonner so is all your data....Raid 0 offers no chance of data recovery if one of the drives fails.

Find out wich drive it is and replace the drive and create a new array...That all you can do.

As for 3 drives being in the array I Believe that your Primary drive C: IDE 1 is not in any of the Arrays but the 2 on IDE 3 are. Disconnect the 2 Raid drives And disable RaiD in the Bios and see if she boots then.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/raid-0-array-is-broken.29104/
Relevancy 63.21%

Hi all I have a disk RAID array in problems RAID array my computer Was trying to install Windows XP on a seperate drive to dual boot RAID array problems with my existing Vista Ultimate X install I failed at this but that s another story Somewhere during the process something happened RAID array problems with my RAID array possibly when I unplugged the drives in the array now my RAID setup says that the array status is quot Degraded quot and both of the drives in the array show up as seperate drives in Vista Any ideas on how this could have happened and how I can fix it The RAID controller is the built in one on my EVGA Nforce i SLI motherboard and I m using the Nvidia control panel as well as RAID array problems the BIOS RAID settings to try and diagnose and fix the problem Thanks in advance for any help it s really freaking me out that this isn t working right because I store all my work on this array and it d be disastrous if I were to lose it nbsp

A:RAID array problems

One of your drives is no longer in the array. Unplugging the drive probably caused this, and you need to rebuild the array. See your manual for instructions.
More here:
http://www.storagereview.com/guide2000/ref/hdd/perf/raid/concepts/perfDegraded.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/raid-array-problems.825806/
Relevancy 63.21%

My in-laws have an older Dell desktop PC running XP and recently are getting a message telling them that one of the drivers in the raid array is bad. It looks like there are 2 drives '0' and '1' and the #1 is the bad drive. They are both the stock 250GB WD hard drives that came with the machine. Do I need to replace it with the exact same drive or will any SATA 250GB work? Let me know if more info is needed. Thanks

A:Bad drive in RAID array

Check the specs of the failed hd (ie make/model) online to verify *IF* yours is hot pluggable - - you should match the specs
of the failed device.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bad-drive-in-raid-array.189956/
Relevancy 63.21%

I was wondering if anyone here has any experience setting up a RAID 0 array on a Gigabyte P35-DS4 mobo? I read the following about running a RAID 0 array to help enhance my Oblivion game play...

Quote:
Setting up your system to run on a PAIR of very fast SATA hard drives is the first step towards alleviating this problem of massive disk swapping (and its resulting bottlenecks). Those drives should then be configured as a RAID 0 array. Oblivion and your other games should be run entirely from that array. By having a pair of drives operating in tandem, the data can be swapped back and forth at an enormously faster rate and your gameplay will be incredibly improved overall.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

A:Help Setting Up RAID 0 Array

Typically with all standard RAID setups, you have an option before Windows is called to take over the booting where you can set up and make changes to your RAID. This is usually either in the BIOS or right after the POST screen before Windows. It's usually pretty quick and involves an F-key to load the settings menu.

I don't have a RAID but as far as I know, you plug in your drives (in pairs or quads, etc etc) and load this settings menu and tell it what you want to create. It should fire away and build the RAID and life is good. Restart, pop in your Windows disk and off you go.

If you are mirroring your data (RAID 1), if one drive fails you are still alive, not gaining much in performance. If you stripe your disks (RAID 0) and create one fatty disk, if one fails, you're not so lucky, unless you do a RAID 5 (RAID 1s full of 0s, SORT OF like a full house in poker), there's more to lose with RAID 1.

HOWEVER, you will see the best performance from a RAID 0 at the cost of potential data loss without a proper backup.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/131879-help-setting-up-raid-0-array.html
Relevancy 63.21%

I currently have a K7N2 motherboard with 2 Seagate 80 gb 7200 RPM hard drives and am thinking about setting them up in a RAID configuration. I am pretty good at building my own machines, but to be perfectly honest, I know absolutely nothing about setting this up. Any one know where I can go to get info for this project? I Googled it but the info that came up was not very helpful. Does it take a certain kind of motherboard for this? Do I need to purchase other hardware? Any help that you may provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Jim

A:RAID Array setup.

Hey Jim,
Is that a K7N2 Delta-L or a K7N2 Delta-ILSR? Only the ILSR will run raid. Otherwise you can get a raid PCI card.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/raid-array-setup.434238/
Relevancy 63.21%

hello,
i have a huge problem with my server right now. i have a windows 2000 server configured with raid 5 with 3 x seagate scsi 37gb harddrives and now when i boot it says unable to find operating system. using the adaptec scsi controller utility on bootup (ctrl +a) it detects only two drives. im guessing one failed (the third of my array).
i have two harddrives on the way, but nowhere on the utility do i see that it is recognized as raid 5. is this normal?

should i be able to boot up using two good hd's?

the rebuild option on the adaptec utility is not chooseable neither. i do not know if that is a bad thing or not currently.

im getting a new hd tomorrow morning at 8:30 am. hopefully someone can help me with this.
thanks in advanced

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/raid-5-array-problem.597228/
Relevancy 63.21%

Greetings,

Does anyone out there know a way of checking to see if raid-1 is working?

I am running 2 drives with one raid controller card called RocketRAID 133.

I do not wish to break the mirror to check this.
Thanks,
Shandley

A:How can I tell if my RAID-1 Array is working?

You'll have to access the Rocket RAID BIOS to check. I believe it's Ctrl-H during bootup.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/210548/how-can-i-tell-if-my-raid-1-array-is-working/
Relevancy 62.35%

I just finished preparing my slipstreamed windows XP setup disc with the SATA drivers already on it for my nForce 4 SATA RAID setup. It will detect the drives, just fine, but displays each one as though there were no array. I've already set up the RAID array in the bios, and it detects it as a single 500gb striped RAID-0 array.

Windows is asking me to install on either one drive or the other, as though there were no RAID-0 array. If this is what usually happens, would I just point windows to install to one of the drives and the BIOS will take care of the rest? Or is something else not quite right here?

Maybe I should just use a floppy disk and the normal windows XP install disc (instead of my slipstreamed)

TIA!

A:XP setup won't recognize RAID-0 array?

Hm i just realized the drives are unformatted. Perhaps i'll format them and see if then i need to reset the array or if it will then recognize it...

I tried using the SATA RAID drivers with the stock unmodified XP disc, with the same problem...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-setup-wont-recognize-raid-0-array.425994/
Relevancy 62.35%

Hi I've just set up a new RAID array with on RAID array 1 installing XP Problem new two WD GB drives One of the drives was connected to my previous system and has four partitions on Problem installing XP on new RAID 1 array it containing all of my data - the first partition is GB blank and ready for a new XP install I used BIOS to setup RAID it took about two hours to mirror onto the other new GB disk I used my XP disk to setup Windows pressed F and used a floppy to install the SATA RAID drivers - once I'd done this the XP Setup detected the single RAID array and let me format the GB partition and copy all of the setup files So far so good But when the computer reboots for the first time I get the error message quot Invalid partition table quot and nothing else happens It's got me stumped If I leave the two new disks in and boot XP from my old GB hard drive Windows loads fine but the RAID array doesn't work properly - I get two copies of all my partitions with different drive letters Any ideas people

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/problem-installing-xp-on-new-raid-1-array-285763.html
Relevancy 62.35%

Greetings all I m going to make a long story short but just say that I had to reformat internal GB hard drives in my laptop and managed to do a clean install on my Disk These two disks used to be in RAID but I had to switch to IDE in order to get Windows reinstalled However now that I m into the OS and changed Regedit to boot back into RAID I m getting an error upon booting moreover I am not sure my computer is recognizing the second drive anymore install to from W7?? HELP! set of up RAID How clean Array Can HELP! How to set up RAID Array from clean install of W7?? someone help me out and lead me in the right direction This is what I see when I boot The computer clearly recognizes the nd drive exists but when I go into My Computer and Computer Management no nd drive is there E is not Disk I think it s just a partition I made when installing Now when I boot into the storage config ctrl I this is what I see and what my options are Can someone please please please help me out Do I need to format the drive somehow in Windows before I try to tinker with the BIOS Please help Note this is an MSI GT DXR notebook All drivers are reinstalled ----- HELP! How to set up RAID Array from clean install of W7?? Sidenote why is my system booting straight into the PXE screen nbsp

A:HELP! How to set up RAID Array from clean install of W7??

bump, please

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-how-to-set-up-raid-array-from-clean-install-of-w7.1090179/
Relevancy 62.35%

I am doing a new installation on a Dell server that currently has Windows Advanced Server 2000 on it. I am putting SBS 2003 Premium on this and will be replacing all of the drives in the RAID set. My fallback plan is to be able to replace the new drives with the original drives and return to Server 2000 if necessary. Since the configuration is stored on the controller will this cause any problems? Thanks.

A:RAID 5 Array on Dell Server

Some controllers place the configuration on the drives as well as the controller.

If your set-up only puts it on the controller and you change it I would think its gone.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/raid-5-array-on-dell-server.411581/
Relevancy 62.35%

I had a successful raid 5 array setup. It was assigned to g and while i was installing ps3 media server and then java it lost it's drive assignment. It shows up under disk management but asks me to initialize it. I really don't want to do that because it will format and i will lose the data on the volume. What else can i do to get my array to show up in windows with my data intact?

A:Raid 5 Array lost assignment

This is where you need your back ups!! and I think you have already lost your files

The only thing I can think of is to open the PC remove the SATA cables from the drives noting which cable goes to which drive!! boot the computer, shut it down again reconnect the drives and start the PC again. If you are very lucky windows may pick the drive up again.
Do not make any changes to the BIOS!!

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/179221-raid-5-array-lost-assignment.html
Relevancy 62.35%

I currently have win7 x64 installed, i have a 320GB partitioned for a dual boot, XP and win7, then i have a 1.5TB storage drive which is filling up, im thinking of getting 2 or 3 1TB drives to create a raid array(0 or 5, not sure whether to have fault tollerance or not).

if i were to start with 2 drives (no parity) could i add another to the array later and could i then include partiy at a later date?

Thanks,

A:Setting up a RAID storage array

This depends on your RAID array and it's capabilities. I was able to do it with my RAID cards (Highpoint) - but you'll have to check the documentation/FAQ's for your RAID controller.

FWIW - I switched RAID controllers when I installed the 7 RTM - and lost everything off my RAID 5 array (luckily I thought this might happen, so I backed everything up).

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/32141-setting-up-raid-storage-array.html
Relevancy 62.35%

When I replace a hot swappable mirrored drive does it make any difference what is on the new drive I am installing?

Like if I remove an existing drive and replace it, does the raid software automatically format the new drive before it rebuilds the data? So it is a new unformatted drive or a used drive that contains data, will it just rebuild no matter the state of the new drive?

thanks

Relevancy 62.35%

It sounds like my hdd is about to die and i wanted to create a raid array (using my mboards sata) by installing a new hdd to backup before i lose everything. Can I do this? will i lose everything on my existing hdd? What is the best option. I am running winxp pro

A:p4p800 sata raid array

If the drive is already failing, a RAID setup at this point would be a bad idea. Your first priority should be to backup all the important data you have.

Once you have done that, getting a replacement drive would be a good idea. and perhaps two discs for a mirrored array would be in order.

I do not know if the onboard raid controller for the P4P800 would let you take an existing drive and convert it to a mirror disk without losing any data, but it may be able to.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/p4p800-sata-raid-array.30057/
Relevancy 62.35%

I have 2 80g hard drives in a RAID array operating as one 160g hd. I have an IOMEGA 160g external hd.

I just discovered that Norton Ghost ( came with the Iomega ) does not support ghosting raid arrays.

So, is my best option to do a disk copy from Ghost in DOS? My goal is to be able to have a complete restore after a fatal crash. I am not concerned about the amount of space used since my backup drive is the same size as my hard drive and I don't intend to use it for any other purpose.

What problems would I encounter if my hard drive(s) crashed and I wanted to restore from the disk copy?

What is the advantage of an image file other than being smaller than cloning?

Any advice would be apprecieated!

A:Ghost, clone and RAID Array

A Image is no better or worse than a Clone. The only advantage of a clone that I see is that you can mount the clone disk and actually access all of the files on it. With the Image you need to use a Ghost utility to access an individual file. The only down side is that creating an image file is a little slower than a clone. This is caused because of compression.

Storage_man

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ghost-clone-and-raid-array.286093/
Relevancy 62.35%

i want to mount my raided ide drives 10' away from my pc.

how would you go about this?

A:long distance ide raid array

Why on earth do you want to have them so far away?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/long-distance-ide-raid-array.3042/
Relevancy 62.35%

my hp computer uses raid, i installed secunia psi & it says java in the raid files is outdated & at security risk etc. had no idea raid even used java, but makes sense i guess. so how does one go about updating java in raid? i have 32bit java v21 installed, so if i install the 64bit version will that work? or do i need to install it directly to the raid array? thx for any info!

A:Solved: java & raid array

after doing some reading on the psi forum, if i understand this post correctly "it's a bug"?

RE: Sun Java JRE 1.6.x/6.x
20th Jul, 2010 00:13
Score: 1900
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 20th Jul, 2010 00:15 Alan,
JAVA(TM) 6 Update 21 is a bug & cosmetic fix.

JAVA(TM) 6 Update 20 is a secure version therefore unless Secunia have changed their procedures it will not auto update JAVA until it becomes vulnerable again.

That said, Update 21 should being showing as secure in PSI.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-java-raid-array.937832/
Relevancy 62.35%

Hi I'm currently running XP x on a hardware controlled RAID array consisting of PATA disks Tried get How array? RAID a recognize Vista to to to install Vista on a SATA drive using quot add driver quot during install to load the nVidia RAID drivers but that didn't work still no visible array Vista however continued to install fine and boots up from the SATA drive but I get no boot menu have to use quot F quot and inside Vista I How to get Vista to recognize a RAID array? can't see my RAID array just the How to get Vista to recognize a RAID array? first disk listed as unallocated I have the latest chipset drivers installed nforce but it doesn't help Then I tried to do a clean install on the SATA drive from inside XP it also worked fine the Vista setup program identified the RAID array but then when the setup program reboots I see the green loading indicator for a few seconds and then I get a BSOD telling me there might be something wrong with my drives which I know for a fact there isn't If anyone got a suggestion as to what might be the error here I would be very grateful System specs AMD X s ASUS A N-E Gb RAM

A:How to get Vista to recognize a RAID array?

Hi j01m3,

Welcome to the forum.

I do not know, but you might look here to see if it will help you.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/79013-raid-install.html

Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/82781-how-get-vista-recognize-raid-array.html
Relevancy 62.35%

I have a workstation that has x BG hard drives i m trying to create a RAID system out of I have assembled everything in an imgur album here http imgur com a U hAI I run into a problem picture s -- gt -- gt in the order the screens appear as you press enter The drives as they are connected don t seem to be recognized in the first place And this means I can t configure RAID I would really appreciate it if on RAID Creating a 10 array hdds 4 someone could take a look and point out any glaring errors or at least offer some advice to troubleshoot this further Pictures - show how the Creating a RAID 10 array on 4 hdds connections are arranged The hard drives are connected to the RAID controller by a Discrete SATA to SFF- Mini SAS Reverse breakout cable The disk drive is connected directly to the motherboard All parts are HP so hardware compatibility is not something i m considering to be an issue Thank you a ton in advance I ll keep up with replies as soon as possible If there s any other information necessary I will provide edits of course Also as requested- here are the applicable pictures nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/creating-a-raid-10-array-on-4-hdds.1140783/
Relevancy 62.35%

RAID Standalone Hardware 16 Array Recognized 5 TB No Longer RAID Raid Enclosure TowerRAID TR UT B - Bay USB eSATA Hardware RAID Tower w G PCIe HBA Black Raid Level Hardware Drives x Western Digital RE WD FYYZ 16 TB RAID 5 Array No Longer Recognized TB Operating System Windows Pro Memory gb mhz Processor ghz AMD T Motherboard Crosshair IV Extreme GPU MSI Radeon HD Lightning Edition PSU Watt Corsair AX i plus platinum GPT Type Symptoms After a circuit breaker trip Windows freezes when attempting to recognize the drive when it is attached It locks up until I unplug or power off the drive Prior to sudden power loss drive was accessible When I unplug or power off drive Windows says drive is not formatted Environment No UPS Drive is connected to a surge protector and a GFI outlet When power outage occurs GFI outlet will trip disabling power to outlet until reset by hand This prevents sudden surges when power is restored Drive temp are normal c Trouble shooting steps Windows SFC - No change Problem exists Complete OS reformat - No change Problem exists BIOS Reset - No change Problem exists Tried connecting with USB USB ESATA - No change Problem exists Boot to Windows PRO DVD - DVD also freezes when attempting to access drive CHKDSK f from Windows PRO boot DVD - Reports drive as RAW Windows PE DVD - Can access drive and files No problem Terabyte Unlimited Image for Lunix - Can access drive and files No problem CHKDSK f using Windows PE DVD - NO ERRORS FOUND Acronis Disk Director - Recognizes drive No problem Other USB devices work Other ESATA SATA devices work Windows PRO Install DVD Recognizes Drive no problem CHKDSK f from windows Pro install DVD NO ERRORS FOUND Lights on RAID do not indicate any abnormal condition Array is not rebuilding I've tried giving it the finger and I've tried calling it obscene language Both verbal and gestural persuasions have proven ineffective Thank you for taking your time to look at this and for any advice that anyone could provide is greatly appreciated I am attempting to solve this without a backup and reformat

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/380451-16-tb-raid-5-array-no-longer-recognized.html
Relevancy 62.35%

Hello I m a total newbie and need help I will try to explain the situation as best I can The symptom I can no longer defrag my PC Whenever I run Diskeeper my Raid card starts beeping and the array must be rebuilt The system Windows Professional Super Trak SX Raid Array four gig hard drives on channels and The history I recently ran Norton s Speed Disk I was using Diskeeper without Array 5 defragging corrupts Raid any problems and about of the way through the raid card started beeping and the optimizing stopped When I restarted the array needed to be rebuilt channel I gave up on Speed Disk and decided to go back to Diskeeper The first thing I noticed was the previously large defragging corrupts Raid 5 Array quot Reserved System Space quot area was missing from the graphical display Within minutes of running Diskeeper the raid card started beeping and the channel needed rebuilding again I went to Promise s website and followed the recovery procedure by deleting the array then creating a new array without any data loss I also reinstalled defragging corrupts Raid 5 Array Diskeeper with the new second edition update and the problem defragging corrupts Raid 5 Array remains the same - I can t defag Does this look familiar to anyone nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/defragging-corrupts-raid-5-array.118960/
Relevancy 62.35%

Hi all. I'm interested in setting up a RAID 0 array in a computer that already has one drive in it.

Here's the question:
Can I set up the array without having to re-format the existing drive? I really don't want to have to back up all the data on the drive I already have.

Thanks for any help.

A:Question about setting up a RAID array

After a little bit of research, it appears you "may" be able to add another disk and RAID 0 it without deleting your data. Some Intel SATA controllers do this. Do you have IDE or SATA RAID? And what is the RAID controller?

But it appears the operation is fairly risky, because at some point it is going to have to be deleting data during the migration. One way or another. And if it fails in the middle...

My advice would be to backup your data and start with a fresh emtpy RAID.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/question-about-setting-up-a-raid-array.39811/
Relevancy 62.35%

Running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit RTM (Software Assurance customer, was able to download on Aug. 8th)

My RAID 10 array has rebuilt itself 4 or 5 times since installing Win 7 a week ago. I did a fresh install... did not upgrade from XP. It never did this under XP. Using the on-board Intel ICH7R controller. It's an Intel 975XBX motherboard with Core 2 Duo Extreme X6800 and 4GB RAM.

Running Intel Matrix Storage Manager 8.9.1023. Device manager shows the same number for the driver version, dated 6/4/2009. I did not have to install the "F6" driver during installation. It's showing different drives as failing each time, so it's not the drives. They are Seagate 320 GB SATA. 4 of them running RAID 10. All are identical models - ST3320620AS

Anyone else seeing this?

Thanks

A:Intel RAID array rebuilding a lot

Nope, and I have 10 Seagate drives in RAID 10 and RAID 0. The only time I've had rebuilds were from severe OC crashing, and only twice out of a couple dozen crashes .

I would use the Seagate drive checking software on your drives to make sure they're OK.

- Does the same drive fail, or is it random?
- Are the drives overheating?

I might check the PSU and make sure it's up to the task also.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/21102-intel-raid-array-rebuilding-lot.html
Relevancy 62.35%

I am venturing into the Raid world and I was hoping I could have some questions to 0 a / Raid Array Backup Restore answered before I make that leap My first question is backing up and restoring a Raid array Since Norton Ghost will view the array as a single hard drive it should backup the array just Backup / Restore to a Raid 0 Array fine but how about restoring it back to a Raid setup Is there a way to use the restore feature on Norton Ghost to completely restore the image onto a Raid array if one of the hard drives fail If so how can I get my motherboard to recognize the Raid configuration and allow me to restore the image And if that is possible can I restore an image of my current single hard drive Backup / Restore to a Raid 0 Array onto a Raid array if I add a second drive in Raid configuration I have an ASUS A V Deluxe MB and an IDE Maxtor Gb Mb Cache drive I have recently purchased a second of the same size and cache HDD and I am wanting to make this into a Raid setup I would rather not have to reinstall Windows especially since I just did a few months ago Any info would be greatly appreciated Oh some more info that may be of some help I did not load Raid drivers during the Windows XP Pro installation however I did load the drivers in the Device Manager within Windows Is that the same as if I were to load it during the Windows installation nbsp

A:Backup / Restore to a Raid 0 Array

Ghost does not support fakeraid. Unless you have a $500 true hardware RAID controller, then you can forget about it - you will only be able to use Ghost from within Windows.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/backup-restore-to-a-raid-0-array.44665/
Relevancy 62.35%

Just looking for a bit of advice My system is currently running on a GB Seagate Barracuda SATA drive - my Solved: questions Array RAID last IDE Solved: RAID Array questions drive suffered a failure a few days ago Unfortunately it was the one supporting the OS - the SATA was operating as a data drive I was able to clone the drive and get most of the data off it but it has Solved: RAID Array questions taken me two days to get the system running properly again this was a new experience and some flailing went on till I got it right However my new HD came in - for some reason I thought I d purchased a GB drive but what s sitting in front of me is identical to what s running in my system I hadn t considered it before but suddenly I have the capability of setting up Solved: RAID Array questions a RAID or RAID array My mobo s an Asus K V Deluxe so it will easily support this I ve done my reading and understand that RAID is fast but there s no reduncancy making it twice as likely to suffer a HD failure RAID is redundant but would only give me GB and I need more I can t really afford a rd drive to implement RAID maybe later My questions are more practical How hard is it really to set up a RAID array How about when one of the disks is already in service Can I even do it without erasing the data that s on the current drive Appreciate any insight nbsp

A:Solved: RAID Array questions

You are correct with everything that you say about setting up RAID0 and RAID1. They are both easy to set up especially with the two SATA drives. (Do you have the MB manual?) You will require additional backup if you use RAID0. RAID1 will give you that but as you say you will be limited in your hard drive space. Either way you will lose what's on your present HD.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-raid-array-questions.368047/
Relevancy 62.35%

Dell winxp sp BIOS controlled RAID SATA array I ran an avira boot cd viral scan yesterday w out options on Can't Missing array 1 boot hal.dll RAID to fix No infected files were found just warnings Can't boot Missing hal.dll on RAID 1 array about unable to scan compressed amp encrypted files and some old exe downloaded program never run zips amp jpgs w possible trojan malware htlm picframes per detection patterns The Dell wasn t acting any weirder than usual but I m ruling out infection on the Sony to which it s networked and I ran the viral scan first on the Dell to begin my learning curve I can do w out the dell easier Can't boot Missing hal.dll on RAID 1 array than w out the sony This morning the Dell won t boot into last known configuration or safe mode - quot missing hal dll please replace file quot I thought Ntldr amp Ntdetect did the initial hardware load but I guess they need hal to do it I have the Dell OS winxp installation disk which is supposed to be a Windows install disk - not a quot product recovery disk only good for running an automatic reformat reinstall So I should be able to boot from the disk and try the repair option Is there something I should do RAID-wise before trying to do the repair There s a RAID utility you can get into from the first booting up page but I ve only read about it being used if one hd comes loose to rebuild repair the array Is the missing hal likely to be the tip of the iceberg I thought the avira scan was supposed to sit in RAM and to only read and not write to disk and the BIOS-loaded RAID drivers would enable the little Linux-type OS to read the volume Apparently I was very wrong I recently read that recovery console doesn t work w RAID but recovery console doesn t work in a lot of situations so that didn t clue me in there might be a problem w a boot virus scan where I was only scanning There must also be some OS loaded drivers I ve been meaning to take down the RAID when I could afford to hire some tech help and partition the hds like I wanted to do in the first place but I hope I m not going to finally achieve this by suddenly trashing the array and my OS install

A:Can't boot Missing hal.dll on RAID 1 array

Try to start using the Recovery console. It may work if the RAID doesn't need a third party driver. Then youcan copy the file to it's directory.http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproble...storehaldll.htm

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/302737/cant-boot-missing-haldll-on-raid-1-array/
Relevancy 62.35%

I ve got a disk RAID array set up to mirror on two disks and stipe across the other two My RAID card config is now reporting an invalid RAID and caused invalid? Array What's to RAID become the disks are not showing up in Windows The only option that the RAID config currently allows is to delete the invalid RAID array but I m worried that if I do this I m going to lose all the data on the disks Does anyone know what I need to do to restore the array without What's caused RAID Array to become invalid? losing any data and or how do I check if any of the disks are damaged The RAID controller is a Silicon Image SiI Ultra ATA PCI-to-ATA Host Controller If anyone knows this card and its BIOS utility here s what it s currently reporting when I start up Set lt gt Invalid RAID And here s the mesage log for the last few days that s generated by the Medley software utility that runs in Windows -August- Informational - Rebuild started Set started a rebuild for member on adapter -August- Error - Device remove The secondary slave on adapter WDC WD JB- CRA was removed -August- Warning - Member dropped Set dropped member on adapter due to a port error SRB status was Request Timed Out -August- Informational - Rebuild started Set started a rebuild for member on adapter -August- Error - Device remove The secondary slave on adapter WDC WD JB- CRA was removed -August- Warning - Port Error - Device Selection Timed Out Error ocurred on member of set on adapter Secondary Slave - CDB a da -August- Warning - Member dropped Set dropped member on adapter due to a port error SRB status was Device Selection Timed Out nbsp

Relevancy 62.35%

I was thinkng today as I was explaining to a friend that she could purchase a backup software like Acronis, but thinking about it, wouldn't it be better to setup a RAID 1. This would leave her completely backed up.

And second--what happens if a drive fails--does the system tell you one dirve has failed and then boots to the other and eliminates the raid, or how does that work? In other words, will the system still boot to Windows?

Acronis is $79 and a new hard drive is not much more than that to match the 250 Gig she has now.

Thoughts?

Pros? Cons?

Relevancy 62.35%

Before I begin here is a quick list of the hardware Intel DG TL mobo w onboard ICH R ICH R ICH R SATA RAID controller There are six SATA ports total available for RAID on the board one is marked for eSATA All six ports are being used ports are single drives gb and gb ports are gb drives in a RAID configuration last port is connected to external tb eSATA drive All drives are Western Digital including the external The RAID drives are Western Digital RAID edition hard drives Intel Matrix Storage Manager v is installed and the OS is Vista Ultimate bit Ok here is the horrible thing that happened to my internal RAID setup I lost two of the drives in my RAID array recently I lost the second before I replaced the first one that failed I figured after one went that I had some time before another would go Well the second drive went during the night a few nights Failed help! array.... Degraded RAID please then 5 ago and to my wonder in the morning I had no storage on my PC just my OS drive and drive that I use as a file graveyard and testing area I rebooted and the Intel controller information during bootup stated that Degraded then Failed RAID 5 array.... please help! the array was in a degraded state and that one of the RAID drives had an error So now that the second is gone I am pretty upset since the array stored a lot of irreplaceable data The array consisted of WD RAID Edition gb SATA hard drives After the first drive errorred itself out of the array the array still ran with the two drives as storage ever since I am Degraded then Failed RAID 5 array.... please help! not sure if this is still considered RAID mode when while it is running without the full amount of Degraded then Failed RAID 5 array.... please help! drives supposed to be in the array since the size of the array remained at tb and there were only two drives It almost seems as though it is just a spanned disk this way Can somebody clarify this for recovery purposes I recently got a TB eSata drive ready to backup the array but its too late now as the failure happened before I could do so What is strange is that I removed the first drive from the array after its failure and left it connected as a single drive to the pc non RAID I tested it using DFT and it passed the advanced tests freaking weird This drive is still being used as normal storage and there are no further issues with it The other night the second drive did the same thing same error I have no idea why they are getting errors It seems to me like it might be a controller issue since the first failed drive tested good outside of the array I have not tested the second drive yet I did recently reload my OS before this second RAID issue I updated the Intel inf driver and sound driver for the motherboard I proceeded to try repairing the array I re-added the first failed drive back to the array using the Intel Utility during boot up with CTRL I Once added I booted back into windows and ran the Intel Storage Utility which now sees all three drives In the utility two drives are listed normally under RAID hard drives and the third is listed as missing There are no actions available to any of the three drives The only action available is to the array as a whole and is to Enable volume write back cache A couple Google searches say that there is ways to rebuild or recover the array using software Has anybody had success doing this If so please tell me what method or software you used for this I am looking for any input on how to recover this data It is much more important for me to recover the data than to repair the array I am assuming that the recovery would be easier if the array can be rebuilt Thanks for any input and help on this subject that you can offer nbsp

Relevancy 62.35%

I currently have 4*160 GB SATA drives in a Raid 0+1 array, MSI K8N Platinum SLI motherboard with an AMD 3500+ controller. My computer hung up and froze and when it rebooted there was a RAID error. 2 of the drives had errors and the array was degraded. I have been unable to find anything on how to resolve this short of reformatting everything or taking out a drive and replacing it.

Any suggestions? This is the second time this has happened. I thought the RAID 0+1 was supposed to be redundant and prevent these problems.

Thanks for any help.

A:Raid Array - Error and Degraded

As you probably know A RAID 0+1 array can consist of any number of hard disk drive members, as long as there is an even number of disks, minimum of four.

Also though if one disk is degraded no problem but if two disks are degraded you're stuck (minimum of 4 remember). RAID 0+1 allows for one disk failure without the loss of any data. When an array is degraded the data on the array is still available.

I'm not an expert at recovery but my limited knowledge tells me that if two of your drives have errors you will not be able to recover using the RAID 0+1 configuration. Hopefully someone will jump in here with a better background.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/raid-array-error-and-degraded.445246/
Relevancy 62.35%

I have a Vista system which I just installed I think on an Raid array Asus Striker II NSE Motherboard Gigs Ram Terrabyte WD internal SATA drives configured into a raid arrray Here is the questions I chose a striped array when setting up the hard drives In bios and in the raid utility it seems to suggest that everything is running fine Is Array 64 Working? Raid My Vista Says I have one drive capacity GB Shouldn't it be only Terabyte as I have the drives configured as Raid Is My Vista 64 Raid Array Working? Is this an indication that somethign is wrong So I installed windows vista Installation seems to have gone fine but since I could never find the correct Is My Vista 64 Raid Array Working? drivers via anywhere on the web for Vista on Is My Vista 64 Raid Array Working? the nVidia chipset I didn't install any additional raid drivers now my remaining questions are Is the raid array functional or not What happened If not do I rebuild the array and start over Third question When I restart my computer widnows will not boot unless the windows CD is in the cd-rom drive - even though it is ultimately booting off of the raid drives Please help Kevin

A:Is My Vista 64 Raid Array Working?

Hi Kevin, Welcome to the forum.

Originally Posted by geographicus

1. Shouldn't it be only 1 Terabyte as I have the drives configured as Raid 0. Is this an indication that somethign is wrong?

No it is correct RAID 0 will show the combined disc size

2. Is the raid array functional or not? What happened?

Yes it would seem so

Third question. When I restart my computer, widnows will not boot unless the windows CD is in the cd-rom drive - even though it is ultimately booting off of the raid drives.

Please help.

Kevin

When you install windows on a RAID you would normally have to give in the RAID drivers from the motherboard CD to be able to see your Drive. Which would show up as one single drive, which you can partition and install to. If you did this then windows is most probably installed.

If it will not boot then you will probably have to install the RAID drivers while Windows is running

Pooch

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/221835-my-vista-64-raid-array-working.html
Relevancy 62.35%

I just switched my EPOX 9NPA+SLI mobo for an ABIT KN8 SLI.Since these both have the Nvidia nForce4 SLI chipset, do I have to use the RAID drivers that came on the ABIT cd or are the RAID drivers that came on the EPOX cd usable? The reason I ask is that with the new mobo installed, at the POST, it shows that I have a healthy striped RAID array. Unfortunately after the POST I get the screen giving me the options of booting into safe mode, safe mode w/ network, last known good config, and so on....It doesn't matter which I choose because whatever i pick, reboots the computer and I end up at the same boot screen options. Vicious circle, to say the least. Anybody have a guess why it isn't booting up even though it shows that my RAID setup is good?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-new-mobo-do-i-need-to-set-up-my-raid-array-again.607210/
Relevancy 62.35%

I've looked up a lot of information on Raids, but I can't make a decision as to what I should do.

I have an 80gb IDE drive, that I've had for several years. It's been randomly clicking and stopping lately, so I'm pretty sure it's close to death. A local electronics place just had 300 GB SATA2 drives on sale for $60, so I bought two with the idea of making a raid array. I was considering a raid 0 for speed, but someone told me that it was even more problematic then using a single drive, and that I should use a raid 5. However, I don't want to drop the cash for a third drive.

Also, I can't find anywhere if I would be able to implement a raid with the two drives, and still keep my IDE drive attached.

What should I do?

Relevancy 62.35%

Specifically, when I use Diskeeper to try to defrag my RAID array (two 80 GB HDs in RAID 0), and check out the drive map...most of the data, along with a significant chunk of system reserved space, is at the beginning of the drive map. Then I have a ton of free space (I'm only using 8 GB at the moment), and about halfway through the drive map, a much smaller chunk of data - then the rest is free space. So, I'm kinda wondering...what's with the chunk of data about halfway through? Does it display the entire contents of one physical HD (so my first HD would have data, then a bunch of free space, and then it would start displaying the contents of the second HD) followed by the next? Or is that chunk of data just floating out there in the middle of both HDs for the hell of it?

A:issues to think about when defragging a RAID array?

if you're using NTFS its probably a copy of the file allocation table. FAT/FAT32 would have one and a copy immediately after on the disk, but NTFS makes it safer by physically seperating the copy by putting it on the middle of the disk. does it also show up as system files of some sort? i don't use diskkeeper so i'm not familiar wit it..

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f16/issues-to-think-about-when-defragging-a-raid-array-13021.html
Relevancy 62.35%

I would like to get 2 SSD?s and put them into a raid array using Windows 7-64bit, but wanted to make sure I understand how to do that. The 2 SSD?s will be the only drives in the system. My computer has an X58 motherboard with an ICH10R. Here is what I think is the correct procedure:
Boot into the bios.
Set the storage config to RAID (the other choices are IDE and AHCI)
Reboot and hit Cntrl-I to get into raid menu during boot.
Set up the raid array in the setup screen.
Reboot to the Win7 install CD and install Windows
Is this correct? Are there any other steps I need or tips I should be aware of?

A:How to install Win7 to an SSD Raid array?

I personally would stay away from RAID, as it seems to more problems than it is worth.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/168614-how-install-win7-ssd-raid-array.html
Relevancy 62.35%

Weird issue I have machine set up as a simple windows file server The server has drives - x GB quot c quot drive contains the O S XP PRO SP - x GB quot X quot drive - RAID I am using the LSI MegaRAID - Raid Controller When I share and map the quot C quot drive on my XP Home machine it works normal - no problem copying files / Problem Network Array Raid to from When I try and use the X RAID drive I run into the following problem I can copy Raid Array / Network Problem files to the RAID drive but once they are on there I can NOT delete them They act as read only files I can not delete them over the network nor can I delete them as ADMINISTRATOR on the server directly - the file are stuck I am fairly familiar with XP file sharing and permissions - I disabled simple mode and gave FULL CONTROL TO EVERYONE But still the files are locked I am sure a boot into safe mode can delete them Since the quot C quot share works just fine I can only think there is a issue with the RAID set ANY idea why a raid set would do that Like I said I can copy a file to the raid set but can not delete it Driving me crazy for days now Please help nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/raid-array-network-problem.495718/
Relevancy 62.35%

Hi array install Ubuntu RAID on guys I ve got a home built server with a huge RAID array I want to use Ubuntu on this guy but installation has got me whipped The system is using my recycled gaming system an AMD Athlon on a K T motherboard And a Highpoint RocketRAID with Seagate TB drives in a RAID Now there s a lot of quirks with the way this system is running but my biggest hurdle is booting after the install Basically using either the Live CD install or the Server text based install I have to load the module during install so that the RAID array is recognized and available for install Install runs fine Ubuntu install on RAID array until boot loader where GRUB fails but LILO succeeds Anyhow after the install finishes and Ubuntu install on RAID array the system reboots Ubuntu install on RAID array the kernel doesn t have support for the RAID array and the boot fails because it can t find sbin init Shouldn t the install have added the module for the RAID array to the kernel How are you supposed to install to devices that require a driver nbsp

A:Ubuntu install on RAID array

You need to have the proper support compiled into the kernel, not compiled as a module. That's the long story short.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ubuntu-install-on-raid-array.88369/
Relevancy 62.35%

Lightning killed my computer-
Can I move my existing raid 0 2 disk array to a new one??

Thanks in advance
Dave