Windows Support Forum

DVD drive crash, lost files

Q: DVD drive crash, lost files

Hi,
Just wondering if anyone can help. My dvd drive crashed when i was burning files onto a dvd. now all the files are gone. anyone know what i can do to access the files on the dvd? do data recovery programs really help? has this happened to anyone else? is there a way to retrieve the already burned files, or is it a lost cause?

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: DVD drive crash, lost files

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: DVD drive crash, lost files

No files left on the hard drive? What program did you use to copy the files to the DVD drive? Can you read the DVD on another computer?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dvd-drive-crash-lost-files.174358/
Relevancy 59.77%

Ok so basically I was playing an older game, which when i was quiting, ended up freezing and crashing...I had to manually turn off my computer. I turned the computer back on saw that I had gone from having 279gb of free space to only 267gb! I've tried to defrag with Defraggler, cleaned about 17gb worth, but still nothing to add to my HDD. I checked my disk cleaner Ccleaner and it said that I only needed to clean 8.67mb? how is that possible, I just defraged the computer, I should have plenty to clean up.

How should I go about recovering that space that I lost in the crash, and how exactly do crashes cause this to happen?

Shadow Storage :

0gb used storage
0gb allocated storage
1gb maximum size

A:PC Crash = Lost Hard Drive Space!!! HELP!!!

I'd try running the chkdsk /r command on the boot/system partition.You may get a bunch of chkdsk files which may need further effort.Recover CHK FilesLouis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323125/pc-crash-lost-hard-drive-space-help/
Relevancy 59.77%

My hard drive crashed. We backed up everything (or so we thought). Bought a new/bigger drive - reinstalled everything. My DVD player/burner is GONE! The device manager shows it "was"
Atapi DVD C DH48CYS - what do I do?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-crash-lost-all-drivers.963655/
Relevancy 59.77%

Ok on oct th I must have had a bad virus and my computer got turned off before I could get it off using my virus program or spyware program I tried everything but it just kept rebooting after making it to the login screen I could not get it to start up in safe mode I could not find my system disk I have several external hds and I was able to do a system image restore from july However every file favorite places picts videos ect and it was alot from July to Oct th is gone I guess Which leads me to my question is their anyway to get them back Another strange thing it that when I try a restore there is a backup but it fails Is there a way to undo last image restore to Files Lost back? - initial System - How - get Restore Image crash I have made a system disk System crash - Image Restore - Lost initial Files - How to get back? and System crash - Image Restore - Lost initial Files - How to get back? have a new win boot disk If I could System crash - Image Restore - Lost initial Files - How to get back? just get it to undo last image restore then I might could use these disks to get back to that day I would think that Win would automatically make some kind of back up when I uploaded the image but where would it store it and what would it be called I know with vista I use to restore backups from day earlier and there was a calendar that would allow me to pick the date I would backup everytime I rebooted I know I rebooted on many ocasions between July and Oct th I even backed uped some files on Oct th Any help would be appreciated Thank You Tab

A:System crash - Image Restore - Lost initial Files - How to get back?

Did you restore an image of the exact Data you had on your previous Operating system?
(Did it have your media and favourite places etc which you are trying to get back?)

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/194668-system-crash-image-restore-lost-initial-files-how-get-back.html
Relevancy 57.19%

Bit of a strange issue here - someone got fired from work and changed the password on the Windows computer before they left I just managed to reset the password yesterday but now the Outlook account has none of their previous emails and the One Drive account files seem to have all gone missing and certain files that were on the Login Password Lost after Outlook Reset: + Files + C Emails Drive One Drive C Drive are all gone and not in recycle bin either When I reset the password I noticed there were three accounts on the computer - USER which is the one I reset since it was the default when starting up computer ADMINISTRATOR didn't touch this one and GUEST didn't touch this either AfterI reset the password I'm pretty sure it was the right one as there were still a few relevant files still on the desktop It's Lost after Login Password Reset: C Drive Files + Outlook Emails + One Drive just everything else seems to have vanished When I search for certain files in the Explorer file names come up but it says that quot the file location has now been changed quot so the shortcut doesn't work

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/lost-after-login-password-reset-c-drive-files-outlook-emails-one-drive-972241.html
Relevancy 56.76%

Dear Sir Madame I was moving video files AVI from an external backup drive WD Element to another external backup drive Seagate expansion after having moved another video file from my laptop Acer to that Seagate external drive The night before I had moved some video files from the WD drive, Was lost not moving recognized to files drive and external all to the Seagate with no problem Was moving files to external drive, drive not recognized and lost all but using a different laptop Sony These video files are all rather large and Was moving files to external drive, drive not recognized and lost all I can tell that the space is still being allocated on the Seagate because while the folder cannot be seen the space that was there is still being used by the Seagate because I am missing over GB which would be about the size of that now missing folder What happened was there was a message that the Seagate drive could not be recognized while the files were in the process of being moved to that drive from the WD This is after I had already moved a video file of about GB with no problem into that now missing folder When I saw the message I attempted several times to move files to that Seagate drive but I could not so I unplugged the Seagate drive from that laptop Acer then reinserted it into the usb port I got a repair message that said it needed to be repaired because some files were corrupted and that no data would be lost but the drive would be unavailable during the repairs so I checked ok It took only about seconds and it said the repairs were completed and the drive was available but I noticed that the folder that I was moving the video files to was not gone As I stated there are more than GB of files in that folder some are video and others are audio recordings that were created by using the myrecording audio and video features of the Acer laptop and they are very important so I need to figure out if they can be retrieved from that Seagate drive I have not copied anything else onto that Seagate drive but I have plugged it into the Acer computer to ensure it is being recognized Both the external drives WD and Seagate are plug and play that are powered from the usb -- they have no power adapters

A:Was moving files to external drive, drive not recognized and lost all

Dear Sir/Madame,
Update to the problem with the missing folder, I use the Acer to record audio and video files to it -- I saw a message that it was low on memory so I decided to connect the WD elements external drive to free up some storage. When I attached the WD Elements drive as the drive booted up to be recognized the missing folder appeared as an option to be opened but the folder never resided on that drive it was on the Seagate drive (the folder is entitled documentary footage moved from WD Elements). I clicked on it just to see what would happen and received this message "E:\Documentary footage from WD Elements is unavailable. If the location is on this PC, make sure the device is connected or the disc is inserted, and then try again. If the location is on a network, make sure you're connected to the network or Internet, and then try again. If the l."

So I thought let me connect the Seagate to see if Windows will find it there but when I connected the Seagate I still could not access the folder. It appears that for some reason Windows 10 confused that the folder was resident on the wrong drive (WD Elements) during the transfer of files to the original folder at the time it stated it could not access the Seagate drive so perhaps that is the reason the folder became missing.

I do not know what to believe as I still suspect that this is a windows 10 problem and not an external drive problem but I do not know how to fix it. My initial thought is to connect both of the drives and restart the Acer laptop but I am fearful that I will lose all the data from that folder so I have not done anything. I am certain that there will be an update from windows that will force a restart but I did not want to change any of the settings that were in place at the time of this problem.

I still need help with this problem and I need to move files off of the Acer too so that I can free up storage space.

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/42377-moving-files-external-drive-drive-not-recognized-lost-all.html
Relevancy 55.04%

Guys, I Just bought this USB. (Kingston data traveller 4gb) After buying the USB, i put some files in it and then removed it from the laptop properly. But when I put it back, the files are gone! But when I checked the properties, the used space is still the same but I can't seem to see the files I put in there! I tried putting a single picture in the usb and removed it, when i put I plugged it in the laptop, the image is still the there but the previous files I put there was really gone! Crap, I really need those files. Help please. Thanks.
additional info:BTW, I've tried searching the web and it seems that i'am not alone!

and also, every file i put into the folder i made keeps on disappearing whenever I remove the usb and put it back again. T_T

A:Lost files on USB drive

Hey guys, problem solved. All I had to do was format the USB. And I also tried to recover my files using EASEUS but no luck. My files are gone forever. But at least I've learned my lesson, Always back-up your files. My USB is fixed but my files are gone.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/lost-files-on-usb-drive.163268/
Relevancy 54.18%

I lost a flash drive yesterday with very important files on it. I had it plugged into my computer Monday though, and so the file name of the file I really need is still in 'recent items' on the start menu and also in the list at the top of MS Word. My question is, is there any way to get this file opened up without the flash drive since it's still in recent items? Computers record everything you ever look at somewhere, right? Is there some way I can harness this power to retrieve a file? Any help is much appreciated.

A:getting files off of lost flash drive

Recent Items in Windows Explorer = shortcuts

Recent Documents in Word are similar and need the file source to open. Try it and see.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/getting-files-off-of-lost-flash-drive-523176.html
Relevancy 54.18%

I had a slave drive in a previous machine It had a considerable number of music digital photgraphy and Hard Lost Drive? files on back ups of quot My Documents quot on it When I tried to load it as an external hard drive with adaptor to my newer machine I got an error message that the quot drive was not formatted quot I couldn t open it up in XP under quot My Computer quot It didn t recognize that there was anything there I even tried to Lost files on Hard Drive? reformat the drive out of frustration - and I got the message that the drive couldn t be formatted Now I was able to install the old master drive successfully as an external drive through the USB adapter kit - but when I put in the old slave drive which I did set to master I got all those error messages What can I do if anything to see if those files I had on the old slave drive are still really there How can I get at them Can they be quot rescued quot Is it a problem with settings The drive is a Maxtor gig drive Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 54.18%

Hey guys:

This is ugly. I came home and my drive had no info on it. I can only assume one of my kids did something. I don't know what. I went to Disk Management because the drive shows up missing. It's a raid0 array. The array is fine. But in Disk Management I can see the drive and it says it is "Unallocated Space"?? I know it should say healthy. I did allocate the space but did not do a quick format. I came here first to throw some ideas around. I would ideally like to be able to reverse whatever happened and have all the programs and files I had on there magically re-appear. Fat chance, right? I am using Windows XP Pro SP3.

Thanks

A:Lost all files/folders on a drive!!!

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Read the documentation carefully.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/412098/lost-all-filesfolders-on-a-drive/
Relevancy 54.18%

I'm a dummy.

I did the TuneUp 2008 30 day trial and while using it, I performed the 1-step clean up or whatever the heck that was. Anyway, the app did a scan for back-up files to delete and went into my recovery partition. (I have an HP Media Center m8100n.) My D: used to be full, now I have a GB of free space. How much trouble am I in? When I got the computer, I did create the DVD recovery back up. I uninstalled the TuneUp trial app. I couldn't reverse the clean up. Can I recover my recovery files?

Relevancy 54.18%

Hi there!

I had some issues with windows 7 so I decided to buy a brand new hard drive and install windows 8 on that.

So I'm using the windows 8 one as primary and it all works out great, AND I can see the old drive and access it. But my entire "profile" with contents are gone?
It should be there, since the amount of GB is the same, but I simply can't find it! (I'm mostly worried about my pictures and music)

I've tried the search function, and I've searched through the folders without any luck :/

Anyone got a clue what's going on?

-
Cheers

A:Lost files on old hard drive?

Hi try something like recuva Recuva - Using Recuva

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/lost-files-on-old-hard-drive-655097.html
Relevancy 54.18%

This is an odd one After pulling the win HDD and doing virus and malware scans I copied my quot tool box quot folder over to the root Tool box contains installable Ad-Aware Malwarebytes Spybot and MS security Essientials as well as other tools So I put the HDD back into its computer and boot from drive? all files Lost system win to safe mode with networking When browsing to c ToolBox I noticed Lost all files from system drive? that tool box was the only folder showing ah WTH I installed the apps and ran them Found a few more things amp removed Restarted in normal mode and installed adaware and Security Essientials AdAware ran fine but Security Essientials was taking forever to complete so I aborted Now I turned to my problem of not seeing any files on C even though My Computer showed that it had gig on it I just finished taking ownership of the C and got messages that I could not take ownership of pagefile sys and Hiberfil sys so I KNOW there are files there heck windows boots and there are no windows files on any of the hard drives or partitions Any ideas folks

A:Lost all files from system drive?

Hello,I moved this from WIN7 to Am I Infected.This infection family will also hide all the files on your computer from being seen. To make your files visible again, please download the following program to your desktop:Unhide.exe Once the program has been downloaded, double-click on the Unhide.exe icon on your desktop and allow the program to run. This program will remove the +H, or hidden, attribute from all the files on your hard drives. If there are any files that were purposely hidden by you, you will need to hide them again after this tool is run.Next run Malwarebytes

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/399846/lost-all-files-from-system-drive/
Relevancy 54.18%

I work on my school's newspaper. We have a network drive that we use to store all our articles, pictures, pages, etc. Recently, some malicious underclassman deleted the folder that contained the pictures we'd taken so far for our upcoming issue.

So, is there any program that can recover/undelete the files that were lost? Preferably it would be freeware, but we do have some wiggle room in our budget if we need to buy something.

A:Lost files on a network drive.

The first thing you need to do is shut down the server so no one can read or write anything to it. That will only decrease the chances for recovery. There are some members here who have lists of apps you could try. One thing to keep in mind is that you're working on a server. Some of them may not be compatible. You'll also need full Admin rights on the server. If you don't have this, you'll need to find someone who does to help you.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lost-files-on-a-network-drive.748826/
Relevancy 53.75%

i inserted my flash drive-full of files- in to one of the usb ports on a pc computer , and for some inexplicable reason it suddenly asks me if i wanted to reformat the drive.( i clicked No since I believe clicking Yes will wipe out all the files on my flash drive
i checked the properties of the flash drive and it reads 0 bytes whereas just before inserting it had lots of files.
have i lost my files forever? is there anything i can do to retrieve them?

thanks for suggestions and comments

Relevancy 53.75%

It occured when i tried to open internet explorer while google chrome was downloading a file However I have always been able to do this when I attempted it previously so I am not sure what made this time and files failure Drive Hard lost different but after i clicked on internet explorer everything i Hard Drive failure and lost files had open got immediately closed my screen flashed black and when it was back at my desktop all my icons were gone aside from Recycling bin Microsoft Word and Powerpoint and like little message windows opened one after the other saying that files may have been lost because of damage done to the C drive I cannot preform a system restore because it says there are no previous restore points and all of my files documents pictures downloads music programs are no longer on my computer for some reason Is this just a problem with my C drive that can be fixed and restored Or are all of my files gone for good Also my PCtools Spy Doctor ran a scan and said Adware BHO GEN Infections - High Threat I realize I have to get this problem fixed as well I just want to know first if all my files are gone or if there is a way to get them back Anybody who can help I really really appreciate it Thanks Oh and btw I have a Dell Desktop not a laptop if that helps

A:Hard Drive failure and lost files

I had the same issue the other day. I did have 1 restore point but all my personal files are gone, Icons are back for programs and seem to b working somewhat havent tried them all yet. My personal files contained all pics, vids, and receipts for my business for the year I have been told these are still on my computers hard drive I just have to find someone that knows how to locate them! good luck with that without paying outrageous prices for it. I did the virus scan and had a very and deleted them but no luck getting the files back. someone has 2 know what to do and how to fix it please!!!!!!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/428994/hard-drive-failure-and-lost-files/
Relevancy 53.75%

It occured when i tried to open internet explorer while google chrome was downloading a file However I have always been able to do this when I attempted it previously so I am not sure what made this time different but after i clicked on internet explorer everything i had open got immediately closed my screen flashed black and when it was back at my desktop all my icons were gone aside from Recycling bin Microsoft Word and Powerpoint and like little message windows opened one after the other saying that files may have been lost because of damage done to the C drive I cannot preform a system restore lost failure Drive files Hard and because it says there are no previous restore points and all of my files documents pictures downloads music programs are no longer on my computer for some reason Is this just a problem with my Hard Drive failure and lost files C drive that can be Hard Drive failure and lost files fixed and restored Or are all of my files gone for good Also my PCtools Spy Doctor ran a scan and said Adware BHO GEN Infections - High Threat I realize I have to get Hard Drive failure and lost files this problem fixed as well I just want to know first if all my files are gone or if there is a way to get them back Anybody who can help I really really appreciate it Thanks Oh and btw I have a Dell Desktop not a laptop if that helps

A:Hard Drive failure and lost files

Possibly those files just got hidden.Download Security Check from HERE, and save it to your Desktop. * Double-click SecurityCheck.exe * Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box. * A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.=============================================================================Please download MiniToolBox and run it.Checkmark following boxes:Report IE Proxy SettingsReport FF Proxy SettingsList content of HostsList IP configurationList Winsock EntriesList last 10 Event Viewer logList Installed ProgramsList Users, Partitions and Memory sizeClick Go and post the result.=============================================================================Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (aka MBAM): http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free to your desktop. * Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program. * At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish. * If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version. * Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan. * When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results. * Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected. * When completed, a log will open in Notepad. * Post the log back here.Be sure to restart the computer.The log can also be found here:C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txtOr at C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt=============================================================================Please download GMER from one of the following locations and save it to your desktop:Main Mirror
This version will download a randomly named file (Recommended)Zipped Mirror
This version will download a zip file you will need to extract first. If you use this mirror, please extract the zip file to your desktop.Disconnect from the Internet and close all running programs.Temporarily disable any real-time active protection so your security programs will not conflict with gmer's driver.Double-click on the randomly named GMER file (i.e. n7gmo46c.exe) and allow the gmer.sys driver to load if asked.Note: If you downloaded the zipped version, extract the file to its own folder such as C:\gmer and then double-click on gmer.exe.
GMER will open to the Rootkit/Malware tab and perform an automatic quick scan when first run. (do not use the computer while the scan is in progress)If you receive a WARNING!!! about rootkit activity and are asked to fully scan your system...click NO.Now click the Scan button. If you see a rootkit warning window, click OK.When the scan is finished, click the Save... button to save the scan results to your Desktop. Save the file as gmer.log.Click the Copy button and paste the results into your next reply.Exit GMER and be sure to re-enable your anti-virus, Firewall and any other security programs you had disabled.IMPORTANT! If for some reason GMER refuses to run, try again.If it still fails, try to UN-check "Devices" in right pane.If still no joy, try to run it from Safe Mode.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/429128/hard-drive-failure-and-lost-files/
Relevancy 53.75%

I need to restore a USERDATA that was messed up when I restored my pc, but the program says that one should not save the files to the drive from which they were lost. Why? To me it seems logical to put data files back where you could use them. Does it cause a rerouting error or make an inconvenient second copy? Also, is restored data fully restored, can finally delete it completely from my drive? (23gigs of files, some to keep, some to trash).

All input is greatly appreciated.

A:(Anyone) Why is it disadvised to restore lost files to the drive from which they were

If you have re-installed windows and all of the applications and need to restore all of the data restoring to the same place may not work correctly in a lot of instances for example mail to outlook express, if restored to exactly where it was before it will not be accessible because the mail has to be imported back into outlook express. It is better to restore all of the data to one special directory and them correctly save it where it has to go.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/anyone-why-is-it-disadvised-to-restore-lost-files-to-the-drive-from-which-they-were-281644.html
Relevancy 53.75%

Hey guys I have an acomdata backup hard drive and I used to love it I backup my music recordings on it Yesterday I opened it up to find GB of my files missing I checked files, Hard Lost External drive Help! and according to properties it says they re still Help! Lost files, External Hard drive there GB used but when I check the properties of all the files on the Hard drive it says they re not there GB used I see Help! Lost files, External Hard drive this is a fairly common problem and I ve been reading your advice to others in this situation Installed PC Inspector File Recovery and searched for lost files and its found them sort of It found lost files many of them wavs but none of them are my lost file names or sizes They are all the quot standard size quot mb which I can set on the PC Inspector And they all have the name of a type quot cluster WAV quot but the number varies keeps going up When you add it up the clusters about equal the gb that I lost and I have a real feeling that my files are in there somewhere but when I save the clusters over to my laptop I can t use them at all it s like my files have been chopped up into bits and pieces Please Help Among the missing files is an entire multitrack concert that I played with my band and really don t want to lose Thanks so much Jesse Details The Drive is a FAT Drive my laptop is a Dell Inspiron with WinXP I also have acronis true image don t know why that would be helpful but just being complete nbsp

Relevancy 53.75%

Hi This is a background of what happened to my laptop My hard drive has two partitions C and P C looks normal but P which has all of my files is empty Properties show that Capacity and Free Space are the same I tried to search a specific partition lost files help Need drive the my from locating that were file that I know is saved in drive P and it shows up under Recent Documents together with the rest of my lost files Only they are shortcuts When I try to open one an error message says quot The drive or network connection that the shortcut quot filename quot refers to is unavailable Make sure that the disk is properly inserted or the network resource is available And then try again I did a System Restore but nothing happened I ran Malwarebytes Spybot SAS RKill TDSKiller SystemLook Unhide exe by following what I found in your forums They found several Trojans Adware Tracking Cookie Microsoft WindowsSecurityCenter FirewallOverride and Microsoft WindowsSecurityCenter AntiVirusOverride So I followed the cleaning instructions but it still did not bring back my files One thing I noticed in Malwarebytes When I do a scan of drive P it scans the C drive instead I did the troubleshooting advised by boopme then I was helped by m le After several Need help locating my files that were lost from the partition drive scans he finally gave me the ok that my laptop is clean and advised me to post here regarding my problem with the lost files When I open Drive P it contains a Recycler Folder and a System Volume Information folder that I can t open Basically Drive P doesn t contain anything Please help I really need those files and I m hoping that they are still in there somewhere still hidden by the after effects of the virus The last virus found is Win AutoRun Hupigon V worm Thanks

A:Need help locating my files that were lost from the partition drive

Hi

I read your other threads and it looks like these were all missing before you started posting and it did not happen while you were going through the process of cleaning with the help here at this forum.

Can you give us any other information about what happened around the time that the files stopped being available?

An important question, since the partition still exists is were they deleted or formatted?

Or did in fact the entire P: partition disappear and you did something to bring it back?

James

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/444355/need-help-locating-my-files-that-were-lost-from-the-partition-drive/
Relevancy 53.75%

I have a WD external Hard drive that is on the fritz. It is showing that I only have 28 Gigs of space left on a 150 gig drive. I had used the other 122 Gigs, but when I open the drive the folder is no longer present. I tried error check and it said the drive is working properly. Are my files still on the hard drive, and if so how can i find them since the folder that they were in no longer exists? I have looked everywhere on the drive, but the folder and files are gone.

A:Lost Files On External Hard Drive

Try viewing the contents of the drive with SequoiaView.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/172176/lost-files-on-external-hard-drive/
Relevancy 53.75%

Is there any solution to restore PPT files on Windows Vista installed computer system hard drive?

A:Help to restore lost PPT files from PC hard drive

You could try downloading the free program, Recuva, from the File Hippo website (all very safe). It's very useful for recovering all sorts of files.

Can I assume you've deleted them by mistake?

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/threads/help-to-restore-lost-ppt-files-from-pc-hard-drive.4060893/
Relevancy 53.75%

My year old was playing with my computer s mouse and when Hard and Lost partitions files drive I got her away from the computer I noticed that my hard Lost Hard drive partitions and files drive partitions were gone I have a gb drive Western Digital drive that I set up to have equal partitions C D E when I installed it As of right now when I view the drive I only have drive C Drive D shows in windows explorer however when Lost Hard drive partitions and files I click on it or try to access any files that are on it I get a device not ready message My E drive does not appear anywhere I went to DOS and tried to browse the files in DOS but the same thing I got a Drive not ready message with the dreaded retry abort fail option I am not a happy camper as you would guess I am glad my C drive is working because I can still use the PC and beg you for help Please let me know asap because I have some valuable stuff on those drive letters that I would hate to lose Thank you in advance nbsp

Relevancy 53.32%

A problem has been plaguing me for some time now. I use a Western Digital MyWorld NAS 2Tb drive, set to Raid 1 with 1Tb live and 1Tb mirrored. I have multiple notebooks connected wirelessly to a home network. One notebook is connected via Cat 5 direct to the router. This notebook is the work PC. It also has a corporate cisco VPN client. When accessing the NAS drive with this machine I am able to explore the drive and its content and all directories. However, each time a modification is attempted, such as renaming a file or directory, or moving a directory or file to another location, the PC does a hard dump and crashes. I have spent hours with Western Digital on the phone. We have shut down all services and start up items using msconfig. All to no avail. Please help.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/system-crash-when-accessing-external-storage-drive-files.856395/
Relevancy 53.32%

I ve been having a lot of trouble lately with a SCSI hard drive I hope someone out there can help Occasionally this seemed to happen when the drive was getting full but I m not sure that had anything to do with it when I would try reading from the drive the activity light would stay on for a while and I would get the error that I referred to in the subject line After this would happen I would run scandisk Most of the time it stated that both copies of FAT did not match but it seemed to fix it without much trouble The hard drive is a Quantum GB partitioned into H: Data Writing To Error may Drive Files or be lost two FAT GB sections F amp H The SCSI card is an AdvanSys Ultra Wide adapter I have an external scanner and an internal CD-R drive that Error Writing To Drive H: Files or Data may be lost are SCSI as well As far as I know the termination is correct To try and fix the problem I backed up my data and repartitioned and formated the drive I thought that had worked but I m still getting the same errors Is my hard drive dead Should I try a low-level format Buy a new SCSI card Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Error Writing To Drive H: Files or Data may be lost

How old is it? Most Quantum SCSI drives have 5 year warranties on them. It does sound like it is going bad to me... I would suggest backing everything up and getting it replaced.

You can check warranty status here:
http://www.quantum.com/support/warranty/wow.htm

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/error-writing-to-drive-h-files-or-data-may-be-lost.32556/
Relevancy 52.89%

Windows Home Premium bit operating system Windows OEM System is about months old i while files drive. BSOD crash system hard my transferring external to ghz gb ddr ram Ati Radeon tb hard drive Motherboard model OT R chipset intel DMI Hostbridge Power Supply Thermaltake w So this has just occurred to me while I am BSOD system crash while transferring files to my external hard drive. transferring files from my computer to an external toshiba tb hard drive its happened or times during the transfer and after I boot back up the computer this message will come up Problem signature Problem Event Name BlueScreen OS Version Locale ID Additional information about the problem BCCode b BCP C BCP FFFFF A B BCP FFFFF A DBDB BCP OS Version Service Pack Product Files that help describe the problem C Windows Minidump - - dmp C Users RickQP AppData Local Temp WER- - sysdata xml Read our privacy statement online http go microsoft com fwlink link amp clcid x If the online privacy statement is not available please read our privacy statement offline C Windows system en-US erofflps txt Thank you so much in advance for any help that you can give me with this issue

A:BSOD system crash while transferring files to my external hard drive.

Hi -

The bugcheck on the lone dump -

0x3b (0xc0000005,,,) = system service threw an exception - 0xc0000005 = memory accesss violation

- Remove Daemon Tools/ Alcohol120

- Update these drivers -

Code:

LHidFilt.Sys Wed Apr 22 20:05:22 2009 (49EFB0C2)
LMouFilt.Sys Wed Apr 22 20:05:26 2009 (49EFB0C6)
atksgt.sys Sun May 17 09:36:34 2009 (4A1012E2)
lirsgt.sys Sun May 17 09:06:57 2009 (4A100BF1)

Driver Reference - http://www.carrona.org/dvrref.html#atksgt.sys

If BSODs persist, run the Driver Verifier -- http://jcgriff2.com/driver_verifier.htm

Windbg Logs
--> http://jcgriff2.net/BSOD_Logs/_99-db..._jcgriff2_.txt
--> http://jcgriff2.net/BSOD_Logs/_99-db...riff2_.txt.zip

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`

BSOD BUGCHECK SUMMARY

Code:

Built by: 7600.16617.amd64fre.win7_gdr.100618-1621
Debug session time: Sun Nov 14 02:45:38.306 2010 (GMT-5)
System Uptime: 2 days 12:48:30.446
Probably caused by : win32k.sys ( win32k!xxxMNOpenHierarchy+17f )
DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: VISTA_DRIVER_FAULT
BUGCHECK_STR: 0x3B
PROCESS_NAME: dwm.exe
Bugcheck code 0000003B
Arguments 00000000`c0000005 fffff960`00171a8b fffff880`0a2dbdb0 00000000`00000000
??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????``

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/bsod-system-crash-while-transferring-files-to-my-external-hard-drive-528507.html
Relevancy 52.46%

Helo guys I'm having a problem.. I just installed a fresh windows 8 because my system was laging.. during the installation i formatted system drive then c drive and installed new windows on c but after installation I'm seeing that all old windows files(included softwares) are moved to e drive where i had my personal data which is not showing up now..what should i do can anyone help me ??

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/584261/i-installed-new-wndows-and-the-old-windows-files-moved-to-other-drive-and-lost/
Relevancy 52.46%

I found a notice on my computer that told me I had lost data at H... (my backup, external hard drive). I think there was a yellow triangle on my system tray to indicate this. As soon as I clicked on it, it was gone.There is now nothing in my backup, external hard drive except the names on the folders and files. All are empty.

So how do I copy all files and folders from My Documents to my H drive now? And is there anything else that I probably lost that I should copy also?Thank you in advance.

Relevancy 52.46%

Cousin's laptop - Dell Inspiron 6000. XP Home edition was riddled with malware. Prior to complete restore I copied all her documents to external drive. Checked transfer had gone okay and reinstalled laptop by clearing partitions and formatting using NTFS. (She hasn't got original Dell O/S disc etc - but that's another story!) Loading external 20gb Maxtor drive, it says (under computer management) -- 19.07gb unallocated. I cannot access the back up data I transferred last night....all her photos....Any ideas?

Relevancy 52.46%

Hey, I'm currently using Windows 7 and when I turned on my computer today it said something about needing to scan my hard drive. I let it begin but after 30 minutes I decided to turn my computer off because I had to get onto it to reply to an important email. When I rebooted it, I checked the hard drive and its now empty. In disk management it shows up and says its active and healthy, however if I right click onto it I have the option to format it. Also, if I try to drag a file onto it, a window pops up saying "could not find this item, this is no longer allocated in Computer. Verify the items location and try again."

Is there any way to get my files back?

Relevancy 49.02%

Hello Is there I can find out a list of the programs that were open on my taskbar can Post-crash/reboot, open how had the I find out files I what before crash? before my computer crashed I tend to have lots of documents open esp text files I'm reading - i e not editing - for research purposes and when my computer crashes or is forced to reboot the only way I can guess which files I had previously open is by doing a Windows file search for files accessed in the past few days This doesn't always help - esp as I hibernate Post-crash/reboot, how can I find out what files I had open before the crash? my computer lots and files may be open and unchanged for several day Sometimes when I'm about to crash I quickly take a screen-dump of my taskbar or the task manager list of programs so I know which windows files I had open but isn't there a log of some sort somewhere containing information on which files were active at a particular time just before a restart or system crash I don't mean the program that caused the crash I know I can find out about the crashing program from event viewer I wanna know about all the OTHER program names I had open at the time And I don't just want to know they were called 'notepad exe' 'winword exe' - I want to know the actual files opened up at the time of the crash In short I want the information I can get if I photograph the tabs on my taskbar just before a crash We're talking about already-saved notepad files photographs etc that are open on my screen just before a restart Any tips on whether Windows has this information somewhere Are there any logs that may contain this information Thanks a lot for your help D

A:Post-crash/reboot, how can I find out what files I had open before the crash?

Hi esinohm and welcome to TSF !

Several MRU (most recently used) lists are stored in the registry, but you won't find a single list with all the programs that were opened at a given time.

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/RegistryMRU.htm

This article discloses the location of the MRU lists for office documents :
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;826208

Latest opened and saved files will also appear in the recent document menu in the start menu. There's a setting that allows you to see recently opened documents in the start menu properties : right-click the start menu => properties => customize next to start menu => advanced.

Have you tried investigating the reasons of the crashes ? Could be a single hardware problem. I can usually leave my computer on for a whole week without any crashes.

What are your system specs ?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/post-crash-reboot-how-can-i-find-out-what-files-i-had-open-before-the-crash-259557.html
Relevancy 49.02%

Hello everyone I have been trying to fix my PC for the last two weeks. I've tried everything. Windows clean install a bunch of test on my hard drive. I've checked S.M.A.R.T done an 9 hour memtest and I;ve finally given up. I honestly don't know what to do this is a fairly new build done in June. I have the DM log files please anyone this is getting out of hand.
P.S I made this thread on my computer but when I am loading for a game or in the middle of a game computer gives me 0x000000F4 error no idea what it is :/ so far its only happened on league of legends.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/391607-bsod-windows-crash-error-0x000000f4-no-crash-files.html
Relevancy 48.16%

I have been infected with something for a few weeks now. When I was first infected one of those fake antispyware boxes popped up along with a hard drive failure icon. This virus has wiped out all of my pictures and files and redirects me everytime I search on the intenet. I have tried malwarebytes, avg scan, system restore, using the notepad and deleting host files then reseting my internet explorer settings ect... Nothing is working. I have attempted to read a few posts here and am obviously too computer illiterate to do anything further on my own. Any help would be greatly appreciated!Edit: Moved topic from Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

A:I am lost! Virus redirecting internet, lost all files and pictures..

BOOT THE PC INTO SAFEMODE WITH NETWORKINGDownloadhttp://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/unhide.exeRun the unhide FIXDownloadTDSSkillerLaunch it.Click on change parameters-Select TDLFS file systemClick on "Scan".Please post the LOG report(log file should be in your C drive) Please download GMER from here(doesnot work on 64 bit OS)http://www2.gmer.net/download.phpTemporarily disable any real-time active protection so your security programs will not conflict with gmer's driver.GMER will open to the Rootkit/Malware tab and perform an automatic Full Scan when first run. (do not use the computer while the scan is in progress)If you receive a WARNING!!! about rootkit activity and are asked to fully scan your system...click NO.Now click the Scan button. If you see a rootkit warning window, click OK.When the scan is finished, click the Save... button to save the scan results to your Desktop. Save the file as gmer.log.Click the Copy button and paste the results into your next reply. DownloadaswMBRLaunch it, allow it to download latest Avast! virus definitionsClick the "Scan" button to start scan.After scan finishes,click on Save logPost the log results here

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/443466/i-am-lost-virus-redirecting-internet-lost-all-files-and-pictures/
Relevancy 47.3%

I have a WD Red 2.0 TB drive (1.8 TB formatted) and have been watching it fill up (%used) for some time now. I have lost 1 TB to "unknown" according to WinDirStat. VSS is NOT RUNNING, which I read about in the tutorial here: System Protection - Turn On or Off.

So, what could be eating this space and how do I recover it?

FYI - the usual litany - No viruses; Disk Cleanup was run; Drive diagnostics pass; Chkdsk, defrag, etc. all OK.
Also, the thing I use the drive for is to maintain program libraries. I perform a lot of temporary folder copies and delete old copies. The recycle bin is empty. Have no idea why this space is lost.

A:Lost space on external drive - Lost 1TB of 2TB drive

I've always found WinDirStat results a bit cryptic.

Maybe you can get a more sensible result with a similar free application:

TreeSize Free - Quickly Scan Directory Sizes and Find Space Hogs

The usual suspects are hibernation file, System Restore points, page file, malware/virus, or some program doing something you don't expect it to do. For instance, we recently had a case here where someone was using a cloud backup program that was mis-configured and putting the backups on local drives, rather than in the cloud.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/356568-lost-space-external-drive-lost-1tb-2tb-drive.html
Relevancy 46.01%

Earlier today, I was on the internet, and all of the sudden the browser shut off and around 30 error messages showed up. I don't recall what the errors were, but they were all the same just with different files (I think they were registry files). As I clicked cancel on each of the error messages, I saw the different icons on my desktop disappear one by one.

After this incident, I immediately system restored to two days ago, and everything seemed fine, except I just realized I'm missing a number of files. I had a folder of all my school work that I've done. The folder is still there, but the folders inside it are not there any longer. Do any of you know how to remedy this issue? I really need those files, both as a record of what I've done throughout the year!

Thanks!

Relevancy 46.01%

XP Home. I lost all of my pictures off my pc after a crash. Here's the deal: Had a whole lot of pic's my pc running w/ sp2. It crashed some how. Was able to do a recovery on this pc. The hd is partitioned w/ a recovery on it. Got it up and running. I didn't save the pic's while it was running SP2. It needed to be up graded to sp3. I did that. Can't find the pictures after loading sp3. Now by doing that did I disrupt the HD and lose my chances in successfully recovering the pictures? Thanks.

Relevancy 46.01%

I have photosuite installed , last month my computer crashed. i have managed to get most stuff back. However I can't find the disk for photosuite. Searching the computer I find several files that are photosuite but none will open the program itself. The one that I found sends an error message , that says missing MGIIpl4.dll .. does anyone know how to grab this lost in my computer program
Thanks Roy

Intel pentium 4 1.5 256 memory

A:msi photosuite lost in crash

It's quite unlikely to be "just that file" that you need though, only that it is the first discovered that is missing.

Trying to restore functionality can be challenging in those instances, it really would be better to try and get all the files intact by a reinstall using a CD.

The fact that some are mising also means others that are still there could be damaged.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/msi-photosuite-lost-in-crash.504034/
Relevancy 46.01%

i flashed my dvd r m liteon h thats all i can get has rpc d loaded flash fron liteon manufacturs and it keeps tellin me that bin does not or crash -all lost firmware dvd will dvd firmware crash -all lost not write rom on board and now i carnt even dvd firmware crash -all lost read files have use regionkiller it took long to read and try and write bin file to rom and now it has stuffed up everthing tell in me every disk even s w i put in is corrupt or needs be formatted cdvdrive info tells me still have manu region changes and drive is rpc But still will not read any thing region killer is keepin it together dont like it so after all that i have no dvd rom half a flash cos it falls over while tryin to put in manu flash cannot update with any other versions and if try to put in original tells me that its allready there and will not continue used CH Eoriginal FLASH CH N CH J CANNOT FIGURE OUT prop mtkflash-bin hP patch flash tried in dos command prompt even put them onto cd and worked off my cd-romRW in dos runnin XP pain in th COULD any help Me try and get it back to original Firm w without goin to the shop and waistin more ALLWAYS Death my Comp Cheers Stonk nbsp

A:dvd firmware crash -all lost

Unfortunately, I think you have created a nice boat anchor....or door stop in this case since it isn't that heavy.......

Trying to bypass regions with a flash on your DVD drive is usually not the smartest thing to do.........

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dvd-firmware-crash-all-lost.93847/
Relevancy 45.58%

Hi I have Windows XP Professional and and crash System lost data have System crash and lost data had a complete system crash and it seems my files are missing I was just working and all of a sudden my screen went blank I didn't get a blue screen I took my laptop in to two different repair places and they both say that my operating system has died and I need to reinstall my os But they're telling me two different things about my data One says that all my files are gone and there is no way of retrieving them unless I want to pay thousands to have my HD rebuilt but the other says my files are likely there but just not visible because they were somehow pushed to the back up drive and are formatted wrong to be visible This repair person says he can try to retrieve them but it will cost me some Luckily I have a relatively recent backup of my most important files but I would lose some things that I'd really like to hang on to How do I know whether these files really are retrievable Thanks

A:System crash and lost data

I forgot to include my computer specs above. I have a:
Dell Latitude D800, Pentium M 755 (2.0 Ghz, 400 Mhz, 2MB)
512 MB 266 MHz DDR Memory
60 GB (7,200 rpm) 9.5 mm IDE Hard Drive

Thanks,
Roni

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/system-crash-and-lost-data-273802.html
Relevancy 45.58%

I had 2 torrents running over the last couple days, an audio book and a movie. I had just started listening to the book today, and had it paused. Due to the game I was playing at the time (Aion, if anyone cares... mass pvp ftl), my computer crashed. Booted everything back up, and the audio book and movie are gone. The folders are there, the torrents show complete, but the folder that contains them show 0 bytes, and when i try to access them I get access denied.

When I try to move them I get that file is in use. I've had weird things happen before, but never actually lost files of this size. They were both on an external hard drive which has many other files that were left untouched.

Any ideas on what could have happened?

A:Computer crash - Lost Data?

Hi and welcome!

The first thing you need to do is get the anything UNLOCKED on the files/directories. A second reboot may or may not solve this problem. Also, safely removing the drive, rebooting, and then reattaching the drive MIGHT solve the problem.

If those do not work, try using UNLOCKER to unlock the files or folders:

http://download.cnet.com/Unlocker/30...-10493998.html

As far as files being gone. It is very possible that during the "power outage" that the files were lost in space. It happens.

Also, you will want to check the USER RIGHTS on the folders - i.e. ACCESS DENIED. Make sure that you have access rights and if you are the only user of the computer make sure that you are the OWNER of the files and folders.

Check for locks first, then check the rights.

Thanks!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/computer-crash-lost-data-423273.html
Relevancy 45.58%

When my system crashed my files were retrieved by Carbonite to my new system. However I need to restore my bookmarks to FF on my new system. Carbonoite does supply some suggestions to do that but I have been unsuccessful. Can anyone assist? Thanks, Alan

A:Lost bookmarks due to system crash

First were they saved there?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lost-bookmarks-due-to-system-crash.1163139/
Relevancy 45.58%

I recently upgraded my windows 7 home premium dell n5030 to windows 8 via the online offer. all was ok until the laptop crashed and i had to do a full factory reset of the laptop. now that i have done this it says i need to activate windows, but i dont have the product key as i saved it on the laptop before crash, and my hotmail account is set to automatically delete emails (i didnt know this until now). i tried on microsoft site to recover my key but it says i havnt purchased one when clearly i have.......

Can anyone help me?

A:Windows 8 crash product key lost

Nope, you're screwed...

seriously, we cant help, too bad you lost all proof of your license, lesson learnt right?

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-updates-activation/20661-windows-8-crash-product-key-lost.html
Relevancy 45.58%

Please could you help me I woke up this morning to discover my computer had crashed that I had no wireless connection and that I have lost two days work I have a nasty feeling I've been hijacked Please could someone check my log below many thanks Faith Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Windows Defender MsMpEng exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin EvtEng exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin S EvMon exe C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccSetMgr exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccEvtMgr exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files Adobe Photoshop Elements PhotoshopElementsFileAgent exe C WINDOWS system DRIVERS CDANTSRV EXE C and work total crash, help. you please could Lost Program Files Symantec AntiVirus DefWatch exe Lost work and total crash, please could you help. C Program Files Microsoft SQL Server MSSQL VAIO VEDB Binn sqlservr exe C Lost work and total crash, please could you help. Program Files Adobe Photoshop Elements PhotoshopElementsDeviceConnect exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin RegSrvc exe C Program Files Symantec AntiVirus Rtvscan exe C Program Files Sony VAIO Event Service VESMgr exe C Program Files Sony VAIO Media Integrated Server VMISrv exe C Program Files Common Files Sony Shared VAIO Entertainment Platform VCSW VCSW exe C Program Files Common Files Sony Shared VAIO Entertainment Platform VzCdb VzCdbSvc exe C Program Files Sony VAIO Media Integrated Server Platform SV Httpd exe C Program Files Common Files Sony Shared VAIO Entertainment Platform VzCdb VzFw exe C Program Files Sony VAIO Media Integrated Server Platform UPnPFramework exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Common Files Sony Shared VAIO Entertainment VzRs VzRs exe C Program Files Common Files Sony Shared VAIO Entertainment Platform VzCs VzHardwareResourceManager VzHardwareResourceManager exe C Program Files Apoint Apoint exe C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI Control Panel atiptaxx exe C Program Files Realtek InstallShield AzMixerSel exe C WINDOWS system ICO EXE C Program Files Sony VAIO Power Management SPMgr exe C Program Files Apoint Apntex exe C Program Files Sony ISB Utility ISBMgr exe C Program Files Sony Wireless Switch Setting Utility Switcher exe C Program Files Sony VAIO Update VAIOUpdt exe C Program Files Utimaco SafeGuard PrivateDisk pdservice exe C Program Files Sony VAIO Zone Remote Commander AvRmtCtr exe C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Distillr Acrotray exe C Program Files BT Voyager ADSL Modem dslstat exe C Program Files BT Voyager ADSL Modem dslagent exe C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe C Program Files D-Tools daemon exe C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C Program Files Sony VAIO Media Integrated Server Platform VMConsole exe C Program Files CyberLink PowerDVD PDVDServ exe C Program Files Windows Defender MSASCui exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe C PROGRA SYMANT VPTray exe C PROGRA Sony SONICS SsAAD exe C Program Files btbb wcm McciTrayApp exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Common Files Sony Shared AVLib SSScsiSV exe C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe C Program Files Skype Phone Skype exe C Program Files Sony SonicStage Mastering Studio Audio Filter SSMSFilter exe C Program Files Toshiba Bluetooth Toshiba Stack TosBtMng exe C Program Files SpywareGuard sgmain exe C Program Files WordWeb wweb exe C Program Files Toshiba Bluetooth Toshiba Stack TosA dp exe C Program Files SpywareGuard sgbhp exe C Program Files Toshiba Bluetooth Toshiba Stack TosBtHsp exe C Program Files Toshiba Bluetooth Toshiba Stack tosOBEX exe C Program Files Toshiba Bluetooth Toshiba Stack tosBtPr... Read more

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/lost-work-and-total-crash-please-could-you-help-116628.html
Relevancy 45.58%

At 1st every 1 i beg ur pardon ..coz i'm not good in english..After windows 7 instalation every time i lost my partition between 17-18 days..i lost my all doucument,pics,music,movies......At 1st my laptop suddenly HAng or freeze ..than i need to restart...it's happen every day 1-2 time...Sometimes i downloading movie after 50-60% download again my laptop freeze and show only white screen ( i mean only lcd back lid light) than need to restart ...after 17-18 days i lost my partition...when i insert windows 7 setup disk its show my full hard disk space is un-allocated..... my harddisk again need to partition and setup windows.....than after 17-18 days i lost my partition Again....what can i do/ what is the problem???
Laptop--samsung
core i5 second genaration
4 gb ram
500 GB harddisk....
condition new...i purchase from e shop 1.5 month ago...
Plz help me...

A:freeze , crash and lost my partition

If your computer is unstable/problematic and still under warranty why not return it ?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/237392-freeze-crash-lost-my-partition.html
Relevancy 45.15%

First and most important I lost my F drive when I installed a new camera software, and can't find my new pictures to upload them. The new software isn't very good about about helping me find my new pictures.

Second, when I upgraded my computed and changed to Firefox plus IE 8, I lost my Yahoo Favorites List, and I'm lost without it and can't find my sites. Can you help me get my list back.

Please help.

Thank you.

Debbie

A:Lost My F Drive & Lost My Favorites List

I think this is a job for a local trusted computer shop to fix. Be sure they are a good shop though many of them will just try to reformat your computer.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lost-my-f-drive-lost-my-favorites-list.793697/
Relevancy 45.15%

Hi guy st time posting in a tech forum so if I miss out any details or anything let me know or if Ive posted in the wrong board could a mod be kind enough to move to the correct board I have Vista on a Dell Laptop Quick backstory Ive been a longtime user of the free version of AVG as my AV around a month ago when I tried to upgrade to the version I had an installation error and couldnt get it installed so for around a month Vista after settings+other crash lost stuff I used PC Tools AntiVirus as my AV Last night PC Tools Antivirus froze during a scan it had done that once before but when I restarted it was fine I was unable to restart when I noticed the freeze Vista lost settings+other stuff after crash as I Vista lost settings+other stuff after crash had a few poker tourneys running and it didnt close when I hit End Task so I left it frozen on the screen for around an - hours My whole comp then completely froze and wouldnt respond at all so I had to do a hard reboot When I got back in my settings have been randomly changed and or disappeared MSN no longer auto remembered my username and password Skype didnt remember my password and gave me the new user screen at startup Itunes is giving me an error about being unable to connect to the sync server Chrome had returned to default settings and when I ran a game from CD it couldnt auto find my last saved game Normally has a button for continuing last saved game this was greyed out with error message about an XML parsing error The tech support for the game told me to delete the settings folder which I think has worked but I only made sure the game loaded up after I did that Also I play on a number of poker sites and it seems to have randomly forgot my username and or password for some sites despite having all of them set to remember username and pass however some sites were unaffected And on at least site all the notes I had kept on players have disappeared but the file for all the notes still exists in my system Does anyone know exactly what the problem is and how to fix it I have since managed to install AVG and ran a full scan and uninstalled PC Tools AV Thanks in advance nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-lost-settings-other-stuff-after-crash.967803/
Relevancy 44.72%

I have been having to rights restoring After post-Vista I files reinstall, lost files/folders have problems with my laptop lately to say the least I realized that it came pre-installed with Vista -bit but that I had a -bit processor so I added in an extra gig of RAM and did a clean install of Vista Other than many many devices not working at first including the ethernet controller due to driver issues it After restoring files post-Vista reinstall, I have lost rights to files/folders was working fine I had previously backed up my files in Vista and tried to restore them after the installation but the only way to do this was to use the quot restore from another machine quot option because Vista thought my backups were from another system due to the restore After getting everything to restore correctly I noticed that I had lost many administrator privileges that I had before After a few days I got a blue screen of death and when the system restarted itself it said that a hard drive failue was imminent and I should backup and replace the drive Unfortunately it would not allow me to backup so I had to replace the drive and restore again with the same backup that was from quot another system quot I am having the same problem with rights to files and folders Today for example I was using TuneUp Utilities defragment utility and there were large parts of the drive that were quot locked quot and were not able to be moved I assume this is because I had no rights to them after the restore My question after all that is how can I get the rights to all my files back safely and easily I tried to go directly into the main drive s security options and change everything to quot Full Control quot but was warned that that would be a security risk Can anyone help I d really appreciate it nbsp

A:After restoring files post-Vista reinstall, I have lost rights to files/folders

Anyone? Please

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/after-restoring-files-post-vista-reinstall-i-have-lost-rights-to-files-folders.845428/
Relevancy 44.72%

Windows Started a new account with admin privileges Deleted old account Keep all Files, Deleted Selected files Account, User lost also with admin privileges Selected the quot KEEP FILES quot option Deleted account A folder pops up in desktop with the computer's name Under that folder there was another folder with old user name and under that folder there was yet another folder also with old user name Completely empty Desktop gt COMPUTERNAME USERNAME USERNAME Empty I don't have a restore point to which to retrieve my files Deleted User Account, Selected Keep Files, lost all files The c disk says there is GBs of free space previously I had only All the library from my old user account have been wiped I also checked Recycle Bin which is empty The current account has admin privileges and is set to Deleted User Account, Selected Keep Files, lost all files show hidden files I was told that it might be under c Users I checked that with CMD and two folders were titled quot quot and quot quot they don't show under file explorer I am running Recuva right Deleted User Account, Selected Keep Files, lost all files now but from what I understand that won't be able to restore file names and fragmented files which are both critical I also had an encrypted file with a none standard extension which might be ignored by Recuva

A:Deleted User Account, Selected Keep Files, lost all files

Hello Abe, and welcome to Eight Forums.

I'm not sure what went wrong, but this is a perfect example of why you should always back up anything that you do not want to lose first to be safe.

I hope Recuva may be able to recover your files for you.

Did you have any system images or Windows backups to restore them from?

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/43005-deleted-user-account-selected-keep-files-lost-all-files.html
Relevancy 44.72%

I am new to burning pictures from my computer to a cd. After successfully burning 2 cd's, on the 3rd attempt, the message exceeds set limit came up. I think I should click delete temporary files, but if I do will the pictures in this file be lost or will they go back to their original location so I can start over with the acceptable limit?

A:Are files lost when I choose delete temporary files before burning cd

Hi and welcome to SevenForums,
How exactly are you adding these images to cd ?
The usual operation is copy and paste or select all of the images and click on burn and choose your burn type data or dvd,
Another option is to use a third party burning utility,
Cheers.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/362137-files-lost-when-i-choose-delete-temporary-files-before-burning-cd.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Hi ALl,

My sister was using the laptop browsing on websites and sunddenly the computer went off. Upon restart we could not access Internet Explorer button, the control panel, my computer and all system applications such as them were not visible on the start menu in the corner on the left hand side. All folders/files on the desktop were gone and an antivirus software kept coming up that was not known. I know a bit about computers and run AVG Free in safe mode and removed the anitvirus that was actually the virus itself in form of Trojan virus. This helped slightly but I still cannot see any files/folders that was previous to the virus. AVG now says the computer has no viruses but it is still not back to normal.

Any help will be much appreciated

Nicky

A:Lost personal files/folders, system files unviewable etc.

Let's see, if we can recover your missing features.Download and run UnHideLet me know, if it worked.Then...Download Security Check from HERE, and save it to your Desktop. * Double-click SecurityCheck.exe * Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box. * A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.=============================================================================Please download Farbar Service Scanner (FSS) and run it on the computer with the issue.Make sure the following options are checked:
Internet ServicesWindows FirewallSystem RestoreSecurity Center/Action CenterWindows UpdateWindows DefenderPress "Scan".It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.Please copy and paste the log to your reply.====================================================================================Please download MiniToolBox and run it.Checkmark following boxes:Report IE Proxy SettingsReport FF Proxy SettingsList content of HostsList IP configurationList Winsock EntriesList last 10 Event Viewer logList Installed ProgramsList Devices (do NOT change any settings here)List Users, Partitions and Memory sizeClick Go and post the result.=============================================================================Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (aka MBAM): http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free to your desktop. * Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program. * At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish. * If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version. * Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan. * When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results. * Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected. * When completed, a log will open in Notepad. * Post the log back here.Be sure to restart the computer.The log can also be found here:C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txtOr at C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt=============================================================================Download aswMBR to your desktop.Double click the aswMBR.exe to run it.If you see this question: Would you like to download latest Avast! virus definitions?" say "Yes".Click the "Scan" button to start scan.On completion of the scan click "Save log", save it to your desktop and post in your next reply.NOTE. aswMBR will create MBR.dat file on your desktop. This is a copy of your MBR. Do NOT delete it.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/449986/lost-personal-filesfolders-system-files-unviewable-etc/
Relevancy 44.29%

I woke up this AM to find my PC dead as a doornail. It had a messag Cntrl+Alt+Delete to restart. I did that to no avail. I shut down and restarted the PC and got the message Error Loading OS (repeatedly)

The PC is 11 months old so still under warranty but the repair tech has a 2 week backlog.
Soooooo, I, in my infinte wisdom decide to format. tsk tsk tsk

No big deal all my programs are on CD/DVD.

Herein lies the problem, sometime during this fiasco my extra HD which I had partitioned into two (F:/ & G:/), is now one E:/ and all of the folders I had on G:/ are gone.
I thought I was smart in partitioning the extra HD to save my pix on but noooooooooooooooooooo.

Any ideas on how to get those folders / files back or did I truly mess it all up?

TIA,
Rhonda

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/vista-crash-had-to-format-lost-a-partition-on-a-seperate-hd-316820.html
Relevancy 43.86%

Had a power failure during a recovery of an Acronis backup on my C drive It seems it happened while Acronis just started lost Recover serious after restore/crash disk help: Need hard file loading the backup files When I restarted the Samsung Laptop local drive C Need serious help: Recover lost file after hard disk restore/crash did not appear in Explorer Only drive Need serious help: Recover lost file after hard disk restore/crash D and my DVD drive E appeared C an D are partitions on the same hard disk The recovery software was on a hidden partition but when trying to use the Samsung Recovery facility it say Drive C not found After trying out suggestions found on the internet I only managed to screw everything up resulting in also loosing the D drive containing my Acronis backup The laptop did not start at all I at last managed to get it going after installing Windows again and I then sit with only C System Disk D System reserved and E DVD drive at that point Foolishly I shrinked the system disk C and created a data disk That disk is now Data Disk F and not D as original The Acronis backup containing all my files and data was on the original Data Disk D I desperately need to recover that tib file to get all my documents data et back I have used various free software to try and find that specific file But they all search by drive and the missing file must be somewhere on the disk either as lost or wrong drive letter or something I know it all was really stupid of me so I now really need expert heavyweight help in trying to locate and recover that specific tib file somewhere on the hard disk

A:Need serious help: Recover lost file after hard disk restore/crash

Welcome,
This is a hard one, the best software that I am aware of is Recuva
Recuva - Undelete, Unerase, File and Disk Recovery - Free Download
If that does not work, the next best suggestion is to download and use windirstat, it will show you everything that is on your drive.
http://windirstat.info/

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/219637-need-serious-help-recover-lost-file-after-hard-disk-restore-crash.html
Relevancy 43.86%

HELLO I think I already asked this problem here but since it wasn't resolved and since the problem is still irritating I do bump this question up To resume the previously reported problem after BSOD or explorer crash I get usually but not always all notification area application icons reset to default customizations completely Notification after lost Explorer area crash which is Only show notifications Unfortunately this is not my preferred state in most cases I want the icon to appear always not to hide behind the chevron So please don't offer solution to turn ON always show all icons Setting back all applications to previous state is pretty uncomfortable so I either need a way to be able to backup and restore the icon prefs or to change the icon default from Only show notifications to Show icon and notifications which would be less painfull I have tried more UI tweakers but I didnot find anywhere anything to change this preset Thanks in advance for anything that works

A:Notification area customizations completely lost after Explorer crash

I think, the easiest solution is your case would be set it as you like, and back it up.

For this purpose I have made two script solutions for you.

First is a SIMPLE.BAT
As it's name goes it simply dumps settings related to your tray notifications into a single REG file with no questions asked (at least when it runs as Admin). When script is done, you can find your Tray_notify.reg in C:\REGBackup. If that file already exists(from previous run of the script) it asks you to rewrite it or not (y/n).

To restore settings you just need to run that backup file Tray_notify.reg and Log-off or Restart or Restart Explorer.exe

Second is a more advanced script REG_BACK_UP.bat , it creates subfolder with time stamp in C:\REGBackup and places Tray_notify.reg there. Time stamp is European 24-hour format (judging by your time zone) plus it has a random number at the end, so you can run it every second of the same minute and every time it will create another folder. And then script dumps Tray_notify.reg in than folder too.

To automate process of starting the script at desired time Task Scheduler can also be used if required.

Script has comments inside for modificational / educational purposes. Folder C:\REGBackup can be changed also (carefull with quotes).

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/210892-notification-area-customizations-completely-lost-after-explorer-crash.html
Relevancy 43.43%

I was trying to cut and paste some files to CD-RW I not & Lost Files did Cut work. to CD Paste Files cut and pasted several files to the cd-rw I clicked on write these files and went through the whole process Once it was Cut & Paste Files to CD did not work. Files Lost done the cd was spit out I inserted the cd to look at the files and they were gone I also checked my previous folders where they were cut and they weren t there either I checked the recycle bin and noticed something interesting Although Cut & Paste Files to CD did not work. Files Lost it appeared to be empty when I clicked on quot Empty Recycle Bin quot it said quot Are you sure you want to delete all files quot We have a back up system in which I was able to take the files from a back up so I put those on my external hard drive Here s where it gets really weird When I insert the cd I have the option to choose quot Write these files quot but there is nothing there When I plug in my external hard drive the recycle bin looks empty but isn t When I unplug my external hard drive the bin is empty So I am wondering if there is a way to quot see quot what files are in my recycle bin In case something like this happens again however I am not cutting and pasting anymore I will copy then double check and then remove Thanks and hope someone can help nbsp

A:Cut & Paste Files to CD did not work. Files Lost

http://www.piriform.com/recuva

http://www.nero.com/eng/downloads-nero9-free.php

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cut-paste-files-to-cd-did-not-work-files-lost.929838/
Relevancy 43%

I have a HP PAVILLION a n /new crash drive master drive/ no reboot Solved: disc hard PROD EG AA-ABA SN MXK NH WINDOWS XP MEDIA CENTER can anyone help The comp want reboot never got disc tryed the f but still will not reboot gave the drive to comp tec they said its fried bought new drive sata ter and tryed to use my windows pro to bring it up want come up do I have to buy a new windows xp disc can some one give me a hand i used the Solved: master reboot hard drive crash /new drive/ no disc comp in my shop for doing graphics in airbrushing to make templets i lost a lot of data from it the old drive still spins are short right now but want the comp backup does anyone have disc for the master reboot of hp hp says they dont have the drive that was in was same as new one except for space I live back in the sticks so town is aways away and a city is hrs away thanks again thank you nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-master-reboot-hard-drive-crash-new-drive-no-disc.860469/
Relevancy 42.57%

Hard drive crash enquiry
My hard drive recently crashed on my desktop running XP and due to the discontinuation of support for XP, I decided to upgrade with a new motherboard, memory, hard drive etc., now running Win 8.1, which has been working fine so far. My problem is that there is data and pictures on the old hard drive which I would like to recover. Can someone advise whether it would be practical to re-install the failed drive along side my new HD in my desktop and reboot as normal and then try and access the failed drive like an external drive? I have already tried booting from the failed drive alone which did not get past the BIOS stage before switching off. Any suggestions would be helpful.

A:Create an external drive from a hard driveHard drive crash

IIf the drive is Sata I or II then you can get a USB 2.0 Docking Station for around $20. Plug it in the USB port and slide the drive in. See if you can read it. If it doesn't work the dock is still handy to have.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/44389-create-external-drive-hard-drivehard-drive-crash.html
Relevancy 42.57%

I got errors from Google that my computer had a virus but nothing I ran could find a virus then the machine would not boot It would get to point about the time windows tried to load and hit a blue screen When it rebooted it would ask if I wanted to boot normal or safe mode and then start the whole fail blue screen over I tried taking the drive out and connecting to my other machines as an external hard drive When the drive connects to my other machines it brings the other machines down hard - blue screen exactly as if I had tried to boot on crashes external Trying drive Hard - all connect as Crash to Drive the original machine The goal is Hard Drive Crash - Trying to connect as external drive crashes all to get the files off the bad drive I was just shocked that connecting it to my laptop or my other desktop took those machines down just like I was trying to boot the bad drive from the original machine I am open to suggestions on recovery of any kind The original machine is a Dell XPS Intel Core i - processor Windows bit The drive is a Seagate Tb The machines I tried to connect faulty drive to as external hard drive were both Win The external hard drive bay is Sabrent USB to SATA External Hard Drive Thank you

A:Hard Drive Crash - Trying to connect as external drive crashes all

There may be a couple of vectors to the virus. One for the boot sequence, another as an autorun in its root folder. I would try usb tethering the drive to a machine on which autorun or autoplay is completely turned off (as in, no exploration), or maybe better, run a Linux live session off a usb stick or dvd. I recommend LinuxLite.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/378112-hard-drive-crash-trying-connect-external-drive-crashes-all.html
Relevancy 42.57%

Hi, 

I've recently upgraded my windows 7 to windows 10 enterprise. I have onedrive account with files synced to cloud, before upgrading i've backed up onedrive files locally in my computer. Some of those files can't be opened after upgrade, formats include
.docx and .xlsx and .png. Most of these files were in direct onedrive main/root folder rather than in subfolders. As i can see those images in subfolders can be opened but not doc and excel files.

How can i view those files again, why have they become corrupt, what could I do in future to prevent these problems

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/b92b5132-04a6-4dc3-8696-0e942efdf427/one-drive-files-after-being-restored-from-backed-up-files-in-upgraded-windows-giving-error-message?forum=itproxpsp
Relevancy 42.14%

The computer I'm having a problem on is a HP G - DX Windows x About a week ago I Drive After C Computer Drive Crash back help switching D Need to decided to disable a few startup items because my computer took too long to load up I think I disabled something that I shouldnt have because the next time I restarted I had gotten stuck on the quot Starting Windows quot screen After I couldnt fix that problem I decided to just use the System Recovery option so I popped out my hard drive and put it into an HDD enclosure and backed up my music video files onto my other computer Windows Vista Home Premium When I plugged my hard drive back into the laptop I got the quot bootmgr is missing quot screen I've tried all the command prompt steps to try and fix the bootmgr they arent working but I think thats because my computer is automatically booting from the C drive which has Need help switching D Drive back to C Drive After Computer Crash no files in it and is about mb in size and my D drive is gb and has all of the folders that used to be in the C drive Program Files Users Windows etc Theres also another drive titled quot Recovery quot with the size of gb Also whenever I try to do System Recovery it gets stuck at I Need help switching D Drive back to C Drive After Computer Crash have Easeus Partition Manager bootable by CD amp an HDD enclosure thats how I am able to see the files So basically what I m asking is is there a way that I can get my computer to boot from the D drive OR what files should I move from the D to C drive that will make my computer boot and finish the System Recovery Go easy on me I'm new at this

A:Need help switching D Drive back to C Drive After Computer Crash

Welcome to Windows Seven Forums.

You could try a startup repair.

Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times

You may need to run it three times with a reboot between each attempt.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/221255-need-help-switching-d-drive-back-c-drive-after-computer-crash.html
Relevancy 41.71%

Hi I hope you files unsupported-lost files guys can help I am old school so i dont know much about computers and have always worked on a company system thats preprogrammed and files unsupported-lost files I was logged in as a user and unable to get places where I might screw things up so now i am working for myself and I think i have screwed something up I have files that wont open I get the message file not supported My music files seem to be missing and my default programs are screwed up for opening things like pictures music files so i ran trend micro hijack and here are my results might as well be in french i cant understand a thing Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows Vista SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C Windows system Dwm exe C Windows Explorer EXE C Windows system taskeng exe C Program Files Alwil Software Avast ashDisp exe C Program Files HP QuickPlay QPService exe C Windows System igfxpers exe C Windows system igfxsrvc exe C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe C Program Files Seagate SeagateManager FreeAgent Status stxmenumgr exe C Program Files Google GoogleToolbarNotifier GoogleToolbarNotifier exe C Windows ehome ehtray exe C Program Files Windows Media Player wmpnscfg exe C Windows ehome ehmsas exe C Windows system SearchFilterHost exe C Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page https eagent farmersinsurance com ttps eagent farmersinsurance com index html obfuscated R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http ie redirect hp com svs rdr TYPE amp tp iehome amp locale en us amp c amp bd Presario amp pf cnnb R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http ie redirect hp com svs rdr TYPE amp tp iehome amp locale en us amp c amp bd Presario amp pf cnnb R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search CustomizeSearch R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride local R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Toolbar LinksFolderName O - Hosts localhost O - BHO AcroIEHelperStub - DF C-E AD- -A -FA C EBDC - C Program Files Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelperShim dll O - BHO no name - C C A-E - b - D - CECB - no file O - BHO Search Helper - EBF - F- bff-A F-B E AAC B - C Program Files Microsoft Search Enhancement Pack Search Helper SEPsearchhelperie dll O - BHO Windows Live ID Sign-in Helper - D - C - ABF- ECC- C - C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WindowsLiveLogin dll O - BHO Google Toolbar Helper - AA ED - DD- d - -CF F - C Program Files Google Google Toolbar GoogleToolbar dll O - BHO Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - AF DE - D - -B FA-CE B AD D - C Program Files Google GoogleToolbarNotifier swg dll O - BHO Java tm Plug-In SSV Helper - DBC -A - b-BC - C C C A - C Program Files Java jre bin jp ssv dll O - BHO Windows Live Toolbar Helper - E A DC - - A - EA-DC EC ACF - C Program Files Windows Live Toolbar wltcore dll O - BHO Search Assistant - F A - B- E - A - F B D - C Program Files SGPSA BHO dll O - Toolbar Google Toolbar - C B - - d - B - A CD F - C Program Files Google Google Toolbar GoogleToolbar dll O - Toolbar amp Windows Live Toolbar - FA EF- D- D - B F- A D - C Program Files Windows Live Toolbar wltcore dll O - Toolbar no name - FEBEFE - B - - D -FFB D B CA - no file O - HKLM Run avast C PROGRA ALWILS Avast ashDisp exe O - HKLM Run Windows Defender ProgramFiles Windows Defender MSASCui exe -hide O - HKLM Run QPService quot C Program Files HP QuickPlay QPService exe quot O - HKLM Run NetFxUpdate v quot C Windows Microsoft NET Framework v netfxupdate exe quot v GAC NI NID O - HK... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/files-unsupported-lost-files.894669/
Relevancy 41.71%

Hi everyone!
I have an external 931Gb Seagate disk.
I wanted 5 partitions and it came out with 3 logical drives and 2 primary (all healthy)
After an infection with ransonware I had to delete one from the 2 primary partitions but suddenly
at the same time got unallocate one from the 3 logical drives too, like if they was connected (?).
So I lost everything in it which there was very important backups not infected.
Is there an easy way to allocate again this logical drive and find again the files was in it?
Why happened this? Is it normal?
Thank you.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/394888-lost-logical-drive-after-deleted-primary-drive.html
Relevancy 41.71%

My hard drive crashed seemingly due to a trojan horse. Unfortunately I did not have a recent back up. So I hooked it up as a slave to another drive. I can access some of the data, but my most recent data is not accessable. I'm sure this is because of the password protection on a different profile.

I am using Windows XP Home Edition which does not have the administrator tools that professional does. Isn't there a way that I can get around the security and log in through DOS?

Do I need to use the old motherboard with the new drive in order to do this?

I know there has to be a way to do this and I am desperate to get my data off of the drive.

Please HELP!!!!!

A:Hard Drive Crash-Access from another drive

Background please: Did you try a repair install? No data loss with that.

Can you get hold of/make a Win98 startup disk?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-crash-access-from-another-drive.81665/
Relevancy 40.85%

Posted this in hopes of helping someone with this situation..

While attempting to burn a data dvd my xp system hung... restarted and poof... no DVD and no harddrive which were on the secondary ide channel... they were not appearing in my computer nor system hardware/control panel.
I even tried restoring winxp to prev ok point. No good!

Heres how I solved it... I had to manually eject the dvd from the drive via the little secret hole using a paperclip, removed the dvd and reboted... the secondary drives appeared once again like nothing ever happened.

Hope this helps someone some day.

JTBEST1

A:Lost hard drive & dvd drive SOLVED

JTBEST1,

Thanks for sharing your tip. I personally have not seen it happen.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lost-hard-drive-dvd-drive-solved.283071/
Relevancy 40.85%

Anyone ever hear of WMV files causing a computer to lock up and force you to reboot? After I reboot I can view WMVs for a little while (maybe 10 minutes) then the next one I open causes my computer to Freeze but you can still hear sound for a little while. Ctrl-ALT-Del does nothing. You have to hard boot.

Thanks
Craig

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wmv-files-crash-pc.293655/
Relevancy 40.85%

My computer is in hospital, i'm waiing to hear the bad news that everything has gone. Some important stuff backed up but not everything (i know, i know!). Just asking if it's possible to recover files back FROM my webserver. I've uploaded a few applications that contain photos i realy need back. Is this possible?

A:Crash! Can I get my files this way?

If you have backed up your important files to a webserver you should be able to recover them using the same program you backed them up with

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/crash-can-i-get-my-files-this-way.114290/
Relevancy 40.42%

I used to be able to use AVI files fine, then a few days ago they stopped working. They will not open at all, when windows media player opens it says an error occured. I am also not able to back them up using any software, it says an error occured. I know these files are not corrupt or missing codecs as they worked before. BTW, I also tried using GSpot the codec checker thingy, but it says codec is there. I am going crazy trying to get it to work. PLEASE HELP!!

A:AVI files crash every time

Try downloading and re-installing the required codec.

Also try a program called AVIcodec to check if your getting the right info about the required codec(s)

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/avi-files-crash-every-time-232098.html
Relevancy 40.42%

Had a gateway One , windows vista premium , 32 bit . Totally crashed , repair shop couldn't get it going again . Bought an external drive , Dynex hard drive enclose and it work . Mostly . I am trying to recover some personal files my wife and I had , they were hidden in computer , windows and as I remember you had to click on advanced to see the files in the folder(so my niece who visits couldn't find them by accident) . When I try to open the folder , it says empty , no files , but it does have a large file space in properties . How can I get this to read?

A:Recovering files from a crash

Welcome
The best method is to use Ubuntu
Use Ubuntu Live CD to Backup Files from Your Dead Windows Computer
After you are up and running, use Macrium to back up once a month. It has saved me more than once
Macrium Reflect FREE Edition - Information and download
All suggestiions are free. If you are required to pay at any point post and we will find the free version

http://www.vistax64.com/crashes-debugging/301186-recovering-files-crash.html
Relevancy 40.42%

250 gb seagate with windows 7 pro. crashed and now it wont boot. hooked it up as slave and have tried several recovery programs, but no luck. says crc errors, or raw partition. I have it hooked up to a usb portal and would like any help to recover my files. I can feel the hdd spinning and no grinding noises. have tried Recuvra, easeus, Icare data recovery.

A:hdd crash need help to recover files

Now you have put that hard drive in an external casing and plugged it in into the USB port of another desktop/laptop. Am I reading correctly?

If your drive appears in the Disk Management, just take a screenshot and upload it.

Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/281634-hdd-crash-need-help-recover-files.html
Relevancy 40.42%

I keep all of my digital photos in one folder. I have a few AVI files taken with the camera. If I navigate to a sub folder that contains one of these AVI files Explorer shuts down with a "Data Execution Prevention Error"

It does not happen if I run in safe mode.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Tom

Relevancy 40.42%

Well sort of. I have had a lot of Blue and Black Screens since I installed Win 7. One pattern that crashes it is opening any .jpg crashes or so it appears. Today I was listening to Internet Radio and while doing so I went to look at some pictures or .jpg files.
I can see the Thumbnails just fine, but whenever I double click to open CRASH, but i notice the Internet radio kept right on working just fine.

So is this a video driver problem? If so how do I check and troubleshoot?

A:.JPG Files Crash Puter

Have you checked for a Windows 7 driver onthe supplier site for your display card?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/280067/jpg-files-crash-puter/
Relevancy 40.42%

(help) avi files cause explorer.exe to crash

i already tried this:

Start > Run > type regedit and press enter

Navigate to:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

If there is an entry in there with the name DivX in it, delete it.

Now navigate to:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.avi\shellex\PropertyHandler\
Delete the value (default). It will then appear as an empty value.

Close the registry editor and reboot your computer

there are no DiX entry on the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

& i can't delete the default on this one: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.avi\shellex\PropertyHandler\

i aslo posted this here: http://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?p=275802 coz i'm not sure where to post this...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-avi-files-cause-explorer-exe-to-crash.49216/
Relevancy 40.42%

Whenever i try to open any video files i get a Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and must shut down. With the Dont send/send/debug thing. Tried debug, nothing. No help online from msft. Also, tried switching video players. No luck. Please help!!

A:video files crash

Quote:

Originally Posted by jel322

Whenever i try to open any video files i get a Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and must shut down. With the Dont send/send/debug thing. Tried debug, nothing. No help online from msft. Also, tried switching video players. No luck. Please help!!

trying getting the latest drivers for your VGA.

www.nvidia.com
www.ati.com

or whatever your manufacture is for your video card.

also might want to try spyware scanning your hard drive and maybe a little of some "Registry Mechanic"

visit www.download.com

for all your download needs.

-slick

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/video-files-crash-74869.html
Relevancy 40.42%

When I open or right click certain .exe installers on my windows 7 machine, such as the latest chromium snapshots it shows an "Explorer.exe has stopped working message", forcing me to close it. This same message stops me from deleting them. To install and delete them, I must use safe mode. I would like to know how to fix this. Thanks.

A:.exe files-explorer.exe crash

Try this free program: ShellExView - Shell Extension Manager For Windows
Use it to disable all the non-Microsoft shell extensions and see if that helps.
If not, post back and we'll suggest more.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/52450-exe-files-explorer-exe-crash.html
Relevancy 40.42%

Everytime I get a zip file sent to me and I try to open it, it offers me to "Open" or
"Save". If I click either one and then "Open again" to see what folders it contains,
my computer flashes screens continuously and crashes. What is going on?

A:Open Zip Files Causes Crash -Why?

Try opening the zip file using 7-Zip

http://www.vistax64.com/crashes-debugging/283608-open-zip-files-causes-crash-why.html
Relevancy 39.99%

Hey, I wanted to free space for my C Drive because it only has 148 gigabytes to my D Drive cause it has 1 terabyte but then when i did so everything stopped working and now I don't know what to do, I can only get google to work through my start menu, I cant even open any files in my computer to back it up or change to factory default. If anyone knows how to fix this please Tell em :C

A:I Moved All My C Drive Files Into My D Drive files and nothing works

You can move DATA, but not application programs.  Even in the case of data, you have to go back and update the default locations of where the apps will expect to find it.  In the case of applications, the only way to move them from C: to another partition is to uninstall, then reinstall them.  This includes but is not limited to anything in the Program Files and Windows folders.

Good luck.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/537522/i-moved-all-my-c-drive-files-into-my-d-drive-files-and-nothing-works/
Relevancy 39.99%

After closing a tab sound hear thing! a Lost a after computer can't shows sound crash, working but heavy google chrome window my pc had a crash during this crash the second of the song that was playing repeated til the pc rebooted After this tho I no longer have any sound at all from my computer I'm running windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack installed My speakers work Lost sound after a computer crash, shows sound working but can't hear a thing! I checked them with my mp player and the pc isn't on mute or turned down to zero The strange part that confuses me tho is that the sound mixer window shows audio levels when i do play music or youtube but even with volume at full blast there is no audio as a work around for the time being i've set my pc to broadcast my pc's audio and then just use my lap top to tune into my station to listen to my music but this is getting old really Lost sound after a computer crash, shows sound working but can't hear a thing! quick when i check Lost sound after a computer crash, shows sound working but can't hear a thing! my sound card realtek high definition audio in device manager it says 'this device is working properly' is it possible my soundcard broke fried and it still showing it fine with audio levels moving

A:Lost sound after a computer crash, shows sound working but can't hear a thing!

I've seen that before. Try uninstalling then re-installing the drivers. Worked for me.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/537902/lost-sound-after-a-computer-crash-shows-sound-working-but-cant-hear-a-thing/
Relevancy 39.99%

its a bit long this but im always seeing ppl want to know the full story to get to the bottom of the problem so heres the whole thing please do take the time all help! files lost my ive to read as im in serious trouble if i cannot solve my problem thanks for your time i am currently working as a freelance graphic designer specialising in d studio max animations thierfore i have got a lot of very important files of many different types including psd jpg tif avi and some far less know such as d studio max files motion capture files and premier pro files etc my problem began a couple of days ago i am ussually very careful with scanning downloaded software but i was under pressure to finish a clients job help! ive lost all my files off and i really needed to edit some video files in a way that my normal editing software dosent allow cut a long story short i ran a setup file without running a virus check on it and soon after my network went down i reset my pc to find it wouldnt restart after many attempts of on off wait a min on tried all safe mode last good config normal it finally started back up everything seemed fine at st glance i figured it must be the software and so did a system restore to make sure all was ok the system started up again and so i set about looking on the internet for some other software but IE didnt start up i then tried opening a document to find it wasnt readable i soon noticed that nothing worked all my files are visible in thier respective folders but every single file has a size of kb and nothing except basic windows functions work i proceeded to reinstall windows on a seperate partition that i didnt mind losing and that solved the IE problem but all my files on my other dirves are still kb i figured that the software must somehow have messed up the MFT of my NTFS drives and so i set about finding some software to help recover the files i have tried the demo versions of data doctor recovery easy recovery r-studio active file recovery media recover and recover my files all except the last just find the files at kb or totally miss the more important rare file types recover my files does find the missing files but it cannot find thier titles so im left with a jumbled list of files without any order this is a big problem as my animations are saved as frames and so there is probably around million images from various animations all jumbled up it looks like a excessivly hard jigsaw puzzle with images many of which ave next to no noticeable difference i really dont have the time to solve that mess so thats the problem and the question is does anybody have a clue how i can fix the file structure of my NTFS drives keeping the directorys intact and restoring all file types not just well known types i know the files are there ive not overwritten anything and quot recover my files quot can see them i dont mind paying for software to do the repairs as long as it is going to do the job apperciate any help that can be offered thanks for reading Steve C nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-ive-lost-all-my-files.666452/
Relevancy 39.99%

I recently lost my .pst files during a computer crash. Tech guys said a partition failed but kept original hard drive and reloaded data. The .pst files are not where they should be and do not know where to find them. Any ideas would be helpful. Thank you.

A:.pst files lost

search for *.pst? You may need to take ownership on the reloaded data since the original hard drive/reloaded data permissions would have orphan sid permissions.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/pst-files-lost.1027749/
Relevancy 39.99%

Hi guys I have a USB pen drive which has a lot of work on it I have just tried to zip one of the folders inside it up to attach it to an email using WinZip I noticed that as it was zipping the folder it said there was an error so I selected ok and expected to have to try again but the file appeared to be zipped However it has not only zipped that file but also every other file and folder on the pen drive and not only that but if I try and unzip it it says quot cannot open the file it does not zip files after Lost seem to be a valid archive quot tried with winRAR and that says quot no Lost files after zip valid archive quot I have tried to recover the zip file using quot Ziprepair pro quot and quot recovery toolbox for ZIP quot these programs do not even recognise there being any files inside the zip Lost files after zip file Any suggestions Lost files after zip The folder that I zipped was inside two other folders winzip seems to have left those two folders alone so when I enter my pen drive i navigate through those two folders still to get to the file i zipped up however absolutely everything else has disappeared that was on the pen drive leaving just the zipped file and the two folders leading to it Any help would be greatly appreciated and would save me a lot of work Cheers nbsp

Relevancy 39.99%

Hi guys, good day!

I just have a little trouble here. A few days ago I run disk clean up on my C: drive. And during that time I accidentally lost some programs, and those are the games (solitaire, freecell, minesweeper, hearts, pinball), calculator, and also when I click on Help and Support in my start menu it won't open.

Is there a way to have those programs again. Another thing the last restore point that I have is the one after I run disk clean up. I think the only chance to have those again is to download but I dont know where I already tried looking at the Microsoft and windows websites.

Can someone help me?!

Relevancy 39.99%

OK, I logged onto my desktop PC as normal, however upon logging in I was informed that the links from all my icons had been lost. So naturally I went to execute my anti virus software and anti maleware programs. However I have found I cannot execute the files, I can find the .exe files, but they do nothing.

So if there is something I cant find it, but also I cant get onto the internet either so I cant do an online scan from my anti virus provider.

Anyone have any ideas? Because right now my PC is like a vegetable, I know maybe reinstalling windows would probably cure it, but i'd rather not do that.

A:Lost .exe Files, Some How

Lets have a deeper look as to what's going on with your system by creating a hijackthis log. This will help us to identify and remove the malware files responsible for your problems.Please read and follow all instructions in the pinned topic titled "Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log".When you have done that, post a log in the HijackThis Logs and Analysis Forum, not here, for assistance by the HJT Team Experts.If you cannot get HijackThis to run, then try renaming it to something else. Open the HijackThis folder, find the file HijackThis.exe, right click on the file and select rename. You may have to change the .EXE extension to something else such as .BAT, .COM, .PIF, or .SCR.Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post the log along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. Please include the top portion of the HijackThis log that lists version information. An expert will analyze your log and reply with instructions advising you what to fix.It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are very busy. Please be patient as they are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have no replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response, a team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.If after 5 days you still have received no response, then post a link to your HJT log here.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/58120/lost-exe-files-some-how/
Relevancy 39.99%

I recently had a virus and my files were deleted when the hard drive was formatted. On another forum, it was suggested that I use a program called "Recova" and that he was able to recover most of his by doing a deep scan using this program. Anyone heard or used this program with any results?

Relevancy 39.99%

I am trying to locate and transfer pst files from a computer that crashed - - reallly crashed. What I am looking for are the contacts (addresses) and the calander that iI used in Outlook. I can still access a limited amount of data from the old laptop, but can't seem to find the pst files. Any ideas?

Harold
[email protected]

A:lost pst files

the mail, addresses / contacts & calendar are all in the .pst file.

Set Windows, if XP, to search hidden files & folders.

Set Windows to display hidden & system f & f.

2 different settings.

2 different places.

outlook.pst can be placed anywhere, by the user.
Default location & moving
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA011124801033.aspx

RF123

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lost-pst-files.695826/
Relevancy 39.99%

hiya

i have lost some of my music from my files! my recycleing bin is empty! i think some one must have deleted them as more than one person uses this pc in my house!

any chance i could get them back????

please help!!!

A:lost files help!!!!

There is commercial software available that can usually recover recently deleted files. Many of them will will allow you to download and run them in a free demo mode that will scan your hard drive and report what deleted files it found the chances of recovery. You have to then purchase the software to actually recover the files.

Have you tired searching for the files just in case they were moved instead of deleted?

Have you considered setting up separate log-in accounts for family members on your computer. A password protected log-in would make it almost impossible for someone to accidentally delete or modify your files and make it more difficult for someone to deliberately get to your files and delete them.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lost-files-help.646322/
Relevancy 39.99%

Over the weekend I updated from Win to Windows When this happened I had to do a search to find the old files and folders found on my desktop as they were not automatically put on my Windows desktop When I Files I Lost Help Please, my found those folders it was listed under something like C Users MyComp Desktop I cut Help Please, I Lost my Files this folder and pasted it on my Windows desktop I also added excel files to my desktop The next morning I turned on my computer and it said the battery was about to die Help Please, I Lost my Files and to plug in the computer and press F to start I plugged it in and hit F -- the problem was that the cord was not connected to an outlet that was working it is an outlet connected to my light switch and after a few moments my computer fully turned off I realized the mistake turned the light switch to On and then turned my comptuer back on When the computer started again the desktop no longer had my cut and paste folder quot desktop quot and no longer had the excel files I saved the night prior to that desktop When searching for and files that were on my old desktop in that folder named quot desktop quot i now cannot find any Under quot Quick Access quot I found a tab that is titled quot Recent Files quot and under it include some of the files in my old desktop and also the excel files When I click the links however I get an error message saying it cannot find the file and it may have been renamed or deleted When searched for a restore point it said that there were not any set up I did not select the option to return to Windows because I did not know if that would cause more harm than good I found an option to restore File History - which is part of a help but the most recent option is Oct th and I have important files saved more recently than that point though that is better than nothing Can anyone please offer me help thank you in advance to anyone who can nbsp

Relevancy 39.99%

I am using Windows XP Pro SP3. I was attempting to move one folder (full of photos etc) into another folder. The files are located on an external drive (usb powered). Apparently the drive had "gone to sleep" and when I clicked to drag the folder into a different folder, everything froze for a few seconds until the drive "awoke" (I HATE SLEEPING DRIVES!). Anyways, the files started going into the wrong location. So I hit cancel. Once I did that I lost the majority of my files in the original folder and cannot find them. NOTE: I actually hit Control>Z and tried to undo what I did in windows explorer but got a message saying there was already a folder by that name (Folder1) in that place.

How do I get my files back? I checked the trash and they are not there

Thx,
median

A:Lost Files - PLEASE HELP!

Files don't normally just vanish...even if the transfer of such is interrupted abruptly.

Use the following tool to search all drives for the files in question, Everything Desktop Search, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/everything-desktop-search/ .

If, in fact, the files have "disappeared", you can then try recovery software.

You can search for all graphics files...by just entering *.jpg or whatever file extension your files are using.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/489088/lost-files-please-help/
Relevancy 39.99%

How do I restore files to my computer after reinstalling XP Pro due to authenticity problems. I have found the programs etc on the c: drive but don't know how to restore them. Thanks

A:lost files

did you do a repair install?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/lost-files-414804.html
Relevancy 39.99%

Tried to open My Documents to get a file, but my files seem to have disappeared. Only 4 main File Folders,

My Music, My Pictures, Updater5, Wonlog.

I don't know where they went too. I know there is a copy on the my computer somewhere, but who knows where. I use XP office.

Please help before all my hair goes grey lol

Thx

A:Oh No! Lost files

If you have more than one user on your computer, be sure to logon in your name. If you are the administrator, you should find your documents under:
C:\Documents and Settings\your name\My Documents

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/oh-no-lost-files.545222/
Relevancy 39.99%

I have Win XP on a DELL machine. I was deleting some files from my desktop and now there are a whole bunch of files missing. I know I did not delet the files that are missing. It is very strange. I open some folders that had files in them and now they are empty. I performed a system restore and some folders came back but there are still files missing. Any ideas on what may have happened or how I can get them back.

Relevancy 39.99%

Hi everyone ... I need help with my pc.
Every time I switch on my pc is come this message :
" this application has failed to start because standard.dll and szhistui.dll was not found .Re-installing the application may fix this problem. "
How can I re-installing ?
PLEASE I need help !!!
ciao
Fabiospzz

A:lost some files

Hi, and welcome to TSF!

Do you have the program StopZilla installed? If so, reinstall that and it should fix the error.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/lost-some-files-179154.html
Relevancy 39.99%

Hello everyone,
this is my first thread in this forum.i am using win XP home edition and now meet a strange thing.when i click to run an application (like realone player, acrobat reader....)it pops up a window read "finding realplay.exe if you want to find by your selft click on browse".when i examine my program file in C i think i lost many files.
so please anyone help me.
thanks in advance