Windows Support Forum

Vista Sleeps While Gaming

Q: Vista Sleeps While Gaming

Allright people I am having a problem with my computer that makes sense I am not too computer savvy so sorry about how i describe things sometimes My computer sleeps when I play a game Well actually i do not think it is really sleeping the monitor says quot Monitor sleeping quot or something of the sort and the audio starts repeating a second clip of whatever audio was last playing if i turn off and then turn on the monitor it says there is no input I must restart the computer for the computer to work But wait this is why it makes no sense Lets take Age of Empires III for example Here are the requirements Windows XP or higher mb Ram Ghz processor GB hard drive MB video card Here is what I have Windows Vista GB ram Ghz processor Gb of memory free out of Gb I do not know what the video card is but I do know it is good because I got a fairly powerful one for my birthday a couple years back I have done everything to clean my computer up and increase RAM but it still does not work Help please p s Someone told me once it was because of a lack of texture memory I read that this was part of my RAM but i know I have a very good RAM for gaming so I do not think this is the problem correct me if i am wrong p p s i am running vista in bit do i need to change it to bit i hope not because it looks like a real pain to do Thanks

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Vista Sleeps While Gaming

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Vista Sleeps While Gaming

video card is nvidia 9600 gt i think

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/vista-sleeps-while-gaming-539788.html
Relevancy 64.5%

Hello all,

First of all, I must say, I have always been an avid "searcher" of these forums for answers but I have come to the point where I need some assistance. I built a new PC and keep getting a BSOD when trying to game or when the PC goes to sleep. I have a feeling it has to do with the wireless Xbox controller that I am using but I downloaded all of the drivers straight off of Microsoft's site. All of the tweaks I have done to the PC have been stress tested so I really don't think it is hardware related. Attached is the SF outfile. Thank you in advance for your assistance and for your assistance in other topics I may have searched over the years.

-Zirra

A:BSOD when gaming/screen sleeps

Problem Drivers:

Code:
AODDriver2.sys Thu Apr 5 15:23:37 2012 (4F7D6499)
AMD Overdrive; also in EasyTune6 for Gigabyte motherboard [br] Known BSOD issues in Win7
(AODDriver2.sys) is either a stand-alone application, or a component of the AMD VISION Engine Control Center. This driver is known to cause BSOD's on some Win7 systems. Please uninstall all AMD/ATI video stuff from Control Panel...Programs...Uninstall a program. Then, download (but DO NOT install) a fresh copy of the ATI drivers from Global Provider of Innovative Graphics, Processors and Media Solutions | AMD (in the upper right corner of the page) Use this procedure to install the DRIVER ONLY: ATI video cards - DRIVER ONLY installation procedure

Code:
xusb21.sys Fri Aug 14 04:10:17 2009 (4A848F49)
XBox USB wireless controller [br] BSOD issues in Win7 with 2009 driver (found in mid-2012)
Update to the latest version available - Driver Reference Table - xusb21.sys

MSINFO32:
Please go to Start and type in "msinfo32.exe" (without the quotes) and press Enter
Save the report as an .nfo file, then zip up the .nfo file and upload/attach the .zip file with your next post.
Also, save a copy as a .txt file and include it also (it's much more difficult to read, but we have greater success in getting the info from it).

Use the System File Checker tool and Run Disk Check: Repair Windows 7 System Files with System File Checker

Run Disk Check in Windows 7 for Bad Sectors & ErrorsTest and Diagnose RAM Issues with Memtest86+:RAM - Test with Memtest86+ Pay close attention to part 3 of the tutorial "If you have errors"

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/297479-bsod-when-gaming-screen-sleeps.html
Relevancy 64.07%

I m using a Vizio quot television as a monitor for my laptop and it works fine when doing normal things like browsing the internet or Laptop HDMI with gaming randomly TV an while sleeps watching videos but when I play games namely Fallout with the TV plugged in my computer sleeps or maybe hibernates at completely random moments It s not only a problem with fallout the same exact thing happens with other games like Dying Light or Evolve I thought that it might be a temperature issue Laptop sleeps randomly while gaming with an HDMI TV but temps are the same whether I m using the TV or not My computer is a modified version of the ASUS GL JM -Inch Gaming Laptop I didn t modify it myself but bought it from Computer Upgrade King As far as I know the only part that was modified was that the hard drive was replaced with an SSD Here are my specs DISPLAY Generic PnP Monitor email protected E -C email protected Intel HD Graphics ASUStek Computer Inc MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX M ASUStek Computer Inc ForceWare version SLI Disabled PROCESSOR Intel Core i GHz Haswell nm Technology Realtek High Definition Audio Windows Home -bit Motherboard Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC Model G JM SOCKET Version Chipset Vendor Intel Chipset Model Haswell Chipset Revision Southbridge Vendor Intel Southbridge Model HM Southbridge Revision C nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-sleeps-randomly-while-gaming-with-an-hdmi-tv.1167616/
Relevancy 56.33%

Vista shuts down continually.
I just reinstalled it, but it still shuts down and restarts a lot, also it goes to sleep too often.
Another thing, when I reinstalled it I lost Microsoft Tasks Launcher. How can I get it back?
And how can I stop my computer from continually restarting and going to sleep??

Relevancy 56.33%

Hi all,
Ive the same problem: I've an Acer 7730 and I get an error while putting the laptop in stand-by. It say "usbdriver.sys etc...", blue screen and windows reboot.
I've read many other feaced the same, is there any solution?
If it is the webcam that is causing this problem, could I change the driver? If so any suggestion?

Thanks a lot!!!

A:BSOD When Vista Sleeps

Hi -

I moved your post here and created a new thread.

The referenced thread - http://www.techsupportforum.com/micr...ebug-tool.html

Please follow the instructions in this post - http://www.techsupportforum.com/1871981-post2.html

Attach the resulting zip file(s) to your next post.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/bsod-when-vista-sleeps-380136.html
Relevancy 54.61%

It s an HP running Vista and now for some reason it puts itself apparently in sleep mode Normally when I would press the power button to turn it back on nothing happens Holding the power button down does not generate a hard restart I shelved it for a few months and just turned it on today It booted normally updated a few things that were out of date and then during dinner apparently shut itself down again Could not force it up Unplugged it removed battery and then put it back together and it booted I now have it in safe mode w networking Not sure if it will stay on or not but would Must Computer Wake. Not Take Vista Sleeps, Windows Will Battery Out love to work with you again to see if I can get it up to snuff I already wiped the HD on this machine about Windows Vista Computer Sleeps, Will Not Wake. Must Take Battery Out a year ago because it had way too many issues due to crap my wife downloaded and would rather try to figure it out

A:Windows Vista Computer Sleeps, Will Not Wake. Must Take Battery Out

hello,
have you tried "change when the computer sleeps"? start>control panel>power options>change when the computer sleeps (left hand side), in the "put the computer to sleep" drop down box select never (on battery and plugged in)....click save changes...

good luck

ps you can also just click the battery icon (next to clock) and choose "more power options"

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/371071/windows-vista-computer-sleeps-will-not-wake-must-take-battery-out/
Relevancy 50.74%

Hi Guys This is my very first post on Windows Vista Forums and Ultimate 64-bit Gaming Windows Vista and Gaming Compatibility I am eager to get into this thread First off Windows Vista Ultimate is the very best you can buy for gaming This features the bit OS version which can process GB of RAM at top speeds you can find in a new OS I would definitely recommend this OS for gaming and none other Now on to the main part of my thread Compatibility Gaming This is the most discussed issue for gamers across the US The problem is how do you get games to work specifically older games on Windows Vista Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit Gaming and Compatibility Gaming Ultimate Well there are solutions You could wait until the company of the game makes a OS patch for the game although that could take a while You could go into the game files and put the game into compatibility mode for your OS And You could revert back to an older OS that works for your game Which one would you choose I would choose They are always going to make games work on a newer OS Lets take the game Lord of The Rings Battle for Middle Earth amp Electronic Arts EA has already made a patch for those two that will have more chance of running on Vista If doesn't work then it's the type of computer hardware you are using The hardware would guarantee be outdated In that case just get more recent hardware It's not that difficult With a bit of research common sense and problem solving skills you can get gaming compatibility issues out of your hair I hope this thread has helped a couple of you out there Sincerely alienware Think I helped you out Click the scales Give me some rep Thanks

A:Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit Gaming and Compatibility Gaming

Very Smart Post!

http://www.vistax64.com/gaming/236286-windows-vista-ultimate-64-bit-gaming-compatibility-gaming.html
Relevancy 44.29%

hey i was wondering if you could help me with a small problem ive been having. i use a 8600gt on vista ultimate and have been using it for 1 year, but ive experienced a much slower gaming experience on games like cod 5 and gta 4 with vista ultimate and windows aero, yet when i reverted to using xp my problems were solved, but since windows vista basic doesnt use aero, would the gaming experience be any different on vista basic than it is on windows xp? thanks a bunch , raiyan =)

A:Vista gaming vs Xp gaming

Well i read that only the vista can use the all power of the new directx, so it should be better for games, anyway Windows Vista is heavier than the XP, even if you disable the Aero. How many RAM do u have?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-gaming-vs-xp-gaming.792726/
Relevancy 42.57%

Hi,

I have been trying and trying, but something is missing ...
I have two Vista PCs connected via wall-plugged ethernet bridges (this way I can usen them anywhere in the house via the electricity network).
Both PCs are connected to the internet ... no problem there
Both PCs share various files (music, pictures, docs ... etc) ... no problem there

The problem starts when I want to play LAN games ... they don't find eachother ...

MAYDAY !!!

A:Vista vs Vista gaming problems

Hi, AirCommando, and welcome to the forums.

I am moving your post to the Gaming section.

http://www.vistax64.com/gaming/195475-vista-vs-vista-gaming-problems.html
Relevancy 41.71%

hi all

I've just bought a new computer gaming pc this are all the configurations it has:
- widows vista home premium
-processor : intel core 2quad Q9550 4x2 83 Ghz 12 mb box
-processor cooler: v8
-motherboard: MSI p31 NEO-FV2 DDR2-800PCI-E ATX
-Internal memory: 2048 MB DDR2/800 dimm bulk
-Video card: Geforce GTS250 738 MB 512MB DDR3

i was wondering, is windows vista home premium good for gaming? because i hear alot of ppl have trouble with vista

thanks

Relevancy 41.71%

How is Vista Service Pack 1 doing for games any new developments towards it?

A:How is Vista SP1 doing for gaming?

all articles that I have read show that XP is superior to Vista for gaming.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-is-vista-sp1-doing-for-gaming.105257/
Relevancy 41.71%

I'm using a dell laptop - inspiron 1520 with vista home premium 32.

When I first got the laptop, it ran Counter Strike pretty good. Now that it's older, I can't even enjoy playing the game because of lag. What is causing this problem? Anyone know?

Specs are: OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium , Service Pack 1, 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5250 @ 1.50GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 2037 Mb
Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family, 448 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 152624 MB, Free - 118512 MB;
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0KY767, , .JX9J2F1.CN486437A96778.
Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

Relevancy 41.71%
Relevancy 41.71%

hi there i keep having probs with a couple of games 1 is sims3 and other is roller-coaster tycoon 3 the problem is i get through a few mins of playing and then its freezes then my whole pc turns off i am using a desktop pc and the games i am using are vista suitable can any1 plz help me cos this is very irritating and is not doing my pc a world of good

Relevancy 41.71%

Hi Guys
Whats the best operating system for gaming?
I have xp and also have an option of Vista home. Would this be better with a higher version of vista?
going to run a phenon or core 2 quad 6600

any help appreciated

A:Vista For Gaming

I'd expect that it would depend upon the game and what it's optimized for. You'll probably get more advice over in the Games forum: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/20/computer-gaming/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/135977/vista-for-gaming/
Relevancy 41.71%

hey guys....
i just bought dis new comp...its got all d top of d line stuff like core 2 duo proc,1 gb ram ,160 gb hard disk,320 mb graphic card....but have found vista 2 b really really slow..it takes ages 2 install a game and since im a gamer...sum of d games i play...which my comp is completely equipped 4 gets stuck and freezes very frequently...
is der ne way i can correct dis prob....please help me out ppl

Relevancy 41.71%

... looks like it's a very small market these days.

Relevancy 41.71%

Can games that are tried and tested to work perfectly on Windows XP work just as well if not better on Vista OS'?
I've been thinking of getting a laptop to play a few low end games on (hightest is probably command and conquer or Dawn of war) and to use MSN and such on.

Vista or XP?

A:Gaming on Vista

I've heard a lot of hard-core gamers say that Vista is equal or slightly less fast as XP. If this is not a serious endeavor, and your hardware supports it, I'd go with Vista.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/gaming-on-vista-203900.html
Relevancy 41.71%

I have bought a new laptop with vista for casual gaming, i want to know that will playing games on xp improve de performance and by how much...

also does vista come default with dx10 coz i think i have dx9???

Relevancy 41.71%

I currently have a machine with a 3.0 GHz C2D 6 MB L2, 3 GB of RAM, and a GTX 260. It has Vista Basic as of now, and I'm not sure whether I want to do a clean install of Vista or the 7 release candidate.

The games I have installed right now are COD:WAW, Crysis, Crysis Warhead, Mirror's Edge, and various Steam games (L4D, HL2, etc.), and I run these at native 1080p. I looked at the thread regarding games that work, and it looks like all my games will be fine. I just don't know about the performance comparisons between Vista and 7, so whatever recommendations you all have will be greatly appreciated!

A:Vista or 7 RC for Gaming Rig?

Hello and Welcome to the Se7enforums! Spartan Erik

I have a good feeling that all those that downed Vista and raved about XP being better for gaming will be in for a big surprize. You may want to look over the article titled posted on the other thread started by another member. Windows 7 will give boost to PC hardware

For trying out one of the 7 RCs even both before 7 is released on 10/22 you have until August 20th to download either or both directly from Microsoft. That would give you the opportunity to get familiar with the next version free of charge as well as allowing you a first hand comparison.

Another option to consider if you have the drive space available would be considering a dual boot of both Vista and 7. Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and Vista

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/18314-vista-7-rc-gaming-rig.html
Relevancy 41.71%

Now ive been running for vista for a while, and gaming is good on vista (after installing many patches just to stop game crashes)

what would be better for my gaming system

32bit or 64bit vista

currently i run vista ultimate x64

people say 64 is slower, but cant be by that much at all can it?

ive just got world in conflict which should run semi good but i get 8 frames per second during a nuclear strike which sucks, average of 23-30

my specs are:
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 6000+ Dual Core
Motherboard: ASUS M2N-Sli Deluxe
RAM: 2x512mb Corsair DDR2 800mhz (CAS 5.0)
RAM: 2x1024mb Corsair DDR2 800mhz (CAS 4.0)
Video Card: XFX Nvidia Geforce 8800GTS 320mb
DVD: 1x Light Scribe ASUS DVD Burner SATA
Hard Drive: 1x 160Gig Western Digital SATA (OS Drive)
Hard Drive: 1x 320Gig Western Digital SATA (Games & Media)
Hard Drive: 1x 500Gig Western Digital SATA (More media)

A:Vista & Gaming

Having run VistaU32 for an extended period and then moving to VistaU64 I'd say that 32bit is the safe bet for now, if you want the largest possible percentage of you legacy games to run. As far as what people "say" about Vista, I've long since given up on entertaining the thoughts of people who don't even have Vista loaded, which is where the vast majority of negative comments come from.

http://www.vistax64.com/gaming/115515-vista-gaming.html
Relevancy 41.71%

I'm sure there's been a ton of these but i want one more up to date, I'm wondering how is vista sp1 on gaming vs xp sp3?

A:Vista Sp1 v XP SP3 Gaming

Using Vista 32bit hasn't been much of a problem. Though if I were you I'd stick with XP, more reliable and has fewer problems with games, also less connection problems with online gaming (not to mention you'll be able to run all the games out ther pretty much).

If you do end up choosing Vista no matter what you do, do NOT go for 64-bit, it is an anti-game hellhole.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vista-sp1-v-xp-sp3-gaming-346368.html
Relevancy 41.71%

hello all i am new to these forums but hope that someone here can solve my problem.

i have recently purcahsed windows vista ultimate and installed it, desktop applications and such run veryy smoothly, but today i attempted to play fear, and it took 8 minutes for it to load the level straight after that i can safely say that during game play i got less then 1 fps. Could these be related to the windows vista nvidia drivers or not, does any one have a link or anyidea how to get them working properly, even My fifa games have drastically dropped Framerates.

i played all of these games on windows XP (sp2) in wich i got 40-50+ fps. these are my specs

Amd X2 4200+
Albatron K8NF4X
1 Gig ram
Geforce 7600GT XXX Edition @ 650Mhz - 1.6ghz
80 Gb Sata seagate barracuda hdd

Thank you in advance

A:gaming on vista

Hi mostkritical,

Could you provide a link to your motherboard the only info I could get on the model number you have listed is a socket 754 board witch does not support a X2-4200

I was looking for info on your board because I wonder what chipset it has and if you got and installed the vista chipset drivers. Also did you get the vista drivers from nvida?

I am not big into gaming so I am not sure how much help I can be but if all the latest drivers are not installed this could be the problem. If the board happens to have a via chipset I am fairly familiar with it and vista

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/gaming-on-vista-145878.html
Relevancy 41.28%

Hey guys Just joined the website I was wondering about a few things and well nothing better then posting an issue on a community like this one Gaming & Performance Vista Hopefully someone can teach me something But basically I recently installed vista ultimate everything works great I mean reading how some seem to have problems Im glad everything's fine THis is my operating system specs OS Name Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate Processor AMD Athlon tm X Dual Core Processor Mhz Core s Logical Processor s BIOS Version Date Phoenix Technologies LTD ASUS A N-SLI DELUXE ACPI BIOS Revision Total Physical Memory MB x ddr geforce GT on SLI Im playing games such as NHL and i mean im Vista Performance & Gaming not saying this is the BEST pc out there but i am expecting Vista Performance & Gaming somewhat better performance Playing on the overhead cam and it seems laggy cutting sort of I have tried my drivers and all everything is up today ONly thing i dont see is where the SLI seems to be on the new drivers IS there anyone who can advice me how to check this SLI and why is it that i feel performance wise this isnt exactly what i expected THanks

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vista-performance-and-gaming-189835.html
Relevancy 41.28%

Hi

i had been using window xp and it doesn't gave me any problem on any games but after i upgraded to vista enterprise i had problem playing many games like (maple, grandchase, tales of pirates and many more games)

does anyone know how to solve the problem? i tried the compatibility and change it to admin all this doesn't help. the above game always had patch error, login can't see any servers, can't login and problems arised when installing

i really need this help thanks

A:Help on gaming (Vista enterprise)

when you say compatability, do you mean to check if it is compatable with your computer or run the program in compatability mode with XP?????

http://www.vistax64.com/gaming/184178-help-gaming-vista-enterprise.html
Relevancy 41.28%

Ok my story begins only a week ago I just upgraded my computer fully This is my list of hardware asus workstation mother board And Gaming Online Vista intel core duo ghtz cpu ati hd xt graphics card Linksys wireless card w power supply a wester digital hard drive last and prob my only regret windows vista ultimate Anyway Vista And Online Gaming every thing is brand new except my hard drive and that is only months old and should be working properly I did all of the upgrades for windows and got all of the updated drivers for my hardware So here is where the problem comes in I had world of warcraft and starwars galaxies installed onto my computer when i had windows xp pro Vista And Online Gaming and i had no problem When I bought all of my hardware I also bought the upgrade Burning Crusade for WOW I then installed that with no trouble and installed all of the updates with no problems However when Vista And Online Gaming i would start the game up it would only run for about min until the internet disconects and kicks me off of the server it also does this with star wars galaxies and when i would try to play UT online Now my first thought was maybe my wireless is bad either at my computer s end or at my HUBs end But i know neither is the case because i spent about hours downloading updates for WOW and SWG and never once was i kicked off Also i spent all of last week using my internet for regular browsing and downloading from Itunes w o ever getting kick off I keep pretty consistant signal strength between bars and bar with the exception of when i have one of the games running and then it completley disconnects and i need to mess with the connection wizard and settings to get it to reconnect I tried running the program as an adminstrator and also i tried turning off my firewall neither of which had any effect except vista gets very angry if you do not have a firewall turned on you get alot of nasty messages So i am at a loss for how to get this to work if anyone has any solutions to try and get the internet to stay connected i could use the help Note I have not tried to hook it up via ethernet but i plan to do so However it probably will not be for a little while due to the fact that i am going out of town for a week so i will only have my laptop nbsp

A:Vista And Online Gaming

First of all, try to format your posts so they can be more readable. Trying to read that post made my eyes bleed.
OK,
Personally I play WOW (with BC) on my vista machine with 0 problems. have you tried running the game in compatability mode as XPSP2?

Here is an article explaining how to do so.
http://www.windowsdevcenter.com/pub/a/windows/2006/04/25/application-compatibility-in-vista.html

In short, all you have to do is go into the shortcut properties

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-and-online-gaming.595842/
Relevancy 41.28%

So i recently read on the fourms that there
are such things as "game boosters" which are basically
programs which can help boost gaming performance.

I downloaded one called "game gain" only problem like
most programs it will require you to purchase it at a price
this one being $11. Not even sure this stuff works or not.
I just used it without unlocking the "extra" content and it
didnt seem to make much difference.

So just want to ask are there any "game boosters" which
are free and are good to use. And no! Im not asking for illegal
serial keys, just asking for a free game booster that doesnt require
a purchase

Thank you

A:Gaming Boosters for vista

Hello DAZZ9,
Game boosters have been tried before but very few are successful, you would be better turning off running services yourself.

Bottom line is, if your machine is not good enough to play a game then something like a game booster is not going to be of much help.
Unfortunately there is no good substitute for good hardware.

Having said all that, if you still want one try this one,

GameBoost - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

Hope this helps, good luck and post your results.

http://www.vistax64.com/gaming/278733-gaming-boosters-vista.html
Relevancy 41.28%

Ok guys so I Gaming Vista Problem have used pretty much every operating system Vista Gaming Problem their is xp runs the best for me no problems at all or sec boot runs everything I run such as games programs etc super fast but I just don't like having it anymore even though its the best operating system in my opinion its just way outdated in my opinion So about or so months ago I installed vista it ran all my programs and so fine bootup was a bit slower i think it was or so secs yeah i know my pc isnt the best lol but the main problem I had was mutiplayer games such as cod cs s bf etc etc were slow and choppy and unplayable in particular counter strike source was the slowest i pretty much couldn't walk or anything no ping problems at all I think it stayed in the - ish area but literally couldn't even walk because of the lag and even was on low settings and xp was just perfect and no lags at all i know vista isn't the best operating system but I really don't want to use xp anymore and I have used windows I think it is about the same as vista to be honest just a diffrent look and a few features and a slightly Vista Gaming Problem better bootup time but ofcourse just my opinion but my problem with is that I have a ping problem it never stays still it almost doubles my ping I would get in xp or vista so this is the main reason I want to go back to vista for now intill my problem in gets fixed if it ever does get fixed my pc is Intel R Pentium R CPU GHZ RAM GB Video Card NVIDA GeForce I guess that is all you need to know I know my pc SUCKS its a old pc just updated ram and a video card I think my video card is the problem but idk I have been wanting to get a new one like a GeForce GT for a while now but haven't had the time or money so if anyone could let me know what the problem is it would help me out alot thanks in advance

A:Vista Gaming Problem

Consider yourself one lucky and special guy if your PC boots up in 40 secs or so in Vista... mine takes about 2 to 3 minutes on a good day and NO, I don't have may startup apps running on the background and YES, I already did the tweaks necessary.

Anyways, my suggestion would be, Go back to XP, perhaps it works extremely good with your rig, why ruin a good thing? What can you do with Vista/Win 7 that you Can't do with XP? What is so outdated about XP? I run Vista and Win 7 because my games run faster on Win 7. I am about to take down Vista and go back to XP for many different reasons... one being the lag of the internet with Vista compare to XP.

http://www.vistax64.com/gaming/244497-vista-gaming-problem.html
Relevancy 41.28%

My computer specs Processor-AMD Phenom Quad-Core RAM GB Video Card Galaxy-NVIDIA GeForce GT x64 Vista gaming while BSOD Anytime I play a game called Dungeon Fighter Online I get the BSOD Everytime it appears is different sometimes right when I log in other times while I have played for hours Here's the minidump for today's crash Microsoft reg Windows Debugger Version AMD Copyright copy Microsoft Corporation All rights reserved Loading Dump File C Windows Minidump Mini - dmp Vista x64 BSOD while gaming Mini Kernel Dump File Only registers and stack trace are available Symbol search path is SRV c symbols http msdl microsoft com download symbols Executable search path is Windows Server Windows Vista Kernel Version Service Pack MP procs Free x Product WinNt suite TerminalServer SingleUserTS Personal Built by amd fre vistasp gdr - Machine Name Kernel base xfffff PsLoadedModuleList xfffff d dd Debug session time Thu Jun UTC - System Uptime days Loading Kernel Symbols Loading User Symbols Loading unloaded module list Bugcheck Analysis Use analyze -v to get detailed debugging information BugCheck E ffffffffc fffff f c e Unable to load image SystemRoot system DRIVERS kl sys Win error n WARNING Unable to verify timestamp for kl sys ERROR Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for kl sys Probably caused by tdx sys tdx TdxSendDatagramTransportAddress d Followup MachineOwner --------- kd gt analyze -v Bugcheck Analysis KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED e This is a very common bugcheck Usually the exception address pinpoints the driver function that caused the problem Always note this address as well as the link date of the driver image that contains this address Arguments Arg ffffffffc The exception code that was not handled Arg fffff f c e The address that the exception occurred at Arg Parameter of the exception Arg Parameter of the exception Debugging Details ------------------ EXCEPTION CODE NTSTATUS xc - The instruction at x lx referenced memory at x lx The memory could not be s FAULTING IP nt PspGetSetContextInternal fffff f c e b mov rbp qword ptr rax EXCEPTION PARAMETER EXCEPTION PARAMETER READ ADDRESS GetPointerFromAddress unable to read from fffff ERROR CODE NTSTATUS xc - The instruction at x lx referenced memory at x lx The memory could not be s BUGCHECK STR x E c CUSTOMER CRASH COUNT DEFAULT BUCKET ID VISTA DRIVER FAULT PROCESS NAME DFO exe CURRENT IRQL TRAP FRAME fffffa bfe a -- trap xfffffa bfe a NOTE The trap frame does not contain all registers Some register values may be zeroed or incorrect rax rbx rcx rdx e rsi rdi rip fffff f c e rsp fffffa bfe rbp fffffa b r f r fffffa f e r r r r r r iopl nv up ei pl zr na po nc nt PspGetSetContextInternal x fffff f c e b mov rbp qword ptr rax ds a Resetting default scope LAST CONTROL TRANSFER from fffff eb to fffff c d STACK TEXT fffffa bfe eb fffff eb e ffffffff c fffff f c e nt KeBugCheckEx fffffa bfe ec fffff c fffffa bfe f fffffa b a fffffa bfe a fffffa b aac nt FNODOBFM string' x fffffa bfe c fffff b fffffa e fffffa b a nt KiExceptionDispatch xa fffffa bfe a fffff f c e fffffa b fffffa b a fffffa b aac nt KiPageFault x e fffffa bfe fffff d fffffa b fcc fffffa d c fffffa b a nt PspGetSetContextInternal x fffffa bfe d fffff dbbe fffffa a c fffffa bfe nt PspGetSetContextSpecialApc x d fffffa bfe e fffff fffffa bfe fb fffffa d c nt KiDeliverApc x e fffffa bfe f fffff fffffa b c fffffad fffffa b c nt KiApcInterrupt x fffffa bfe c fffff be fffffa d b nt KiExitDispatcher x fffffa bfe f fffff a ad fffffa nt KeWaitForSingleObject xad fffffa bfe fffff dcf d nt KiSuspendThread x fffffa bfe c fffff fffffa bfe e fffff a nt KiDeliverApc x d fffffa bfe fffff c fffffa bd fffffa b fd fffffa b fb nt KiApcInterrupt x fffffa bfe f fffffa bd fffffa b fd fffffa b fb nt KeReleaseSpinLock xc fffffa bfe fffffa e fffffa c fffffa f fffffa b fcb fffffa b fdff tdx TdxSendDatagramTransportAddress x d fffffa bfe c fffffa cfeb fffffa f fffffa fffffa f fffffa tdx TdxTdiDispatchInternalDeviceControl xd ff... Read more

A:Vista x64 BSOD while gaming

I would update drivers in this order:

Video Card
Chipset
Network

If you still have an issue then maybe its the game that needs updating?

Can you provide us a link to the game's systems requirements?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/321365/vista-x64-bsod-while-gaming/
Relevancy 41.28%

I recently built this pc mainly to play games on. I run into issues from time to time where the game will freeze and then go Blue Screen. I have a nvidia geforce 9800+ I think, and run Vista Business 32.

I haven't got a chance to write it down but I think its a driver error nvdll.

It is almost a random thing, I can play games like Fallout3 for hours one day and the next I will walk into a room and the game will lock up. I have no trouble with TF2. I have not really got a chance to play much else I am wanting to get this fix before I get new games.

Please Help

A:Vista BSOD when gaming

Oh I almost forgot I have installed SP1

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/vista-bsod-when-gaming-366441.html
Relevancy 41.28%

How do you go about hooking up 3 laptops by an ad-hoc connection for gaming purposes. I don't have a router so this is an ideal solution and I have no idea where to start. All three laptops have the same wireless card and LAN connction. And alll three have Vista. Thanks

Relevancy 41.28%

Okay so I have Vista Ultimate and am running in the bit mode Since I have installed it Fresh I have received BSOD's with pretty much different reasons Page in nonpaged area and the IRQ one The BSODs causes in Vista Gaming only time this happens and it happens everytime within Gaming in Vista causes BSODs min is when I play games with d including built in Majong Tiger Woods PGA and Everquest II My wife can surf the web all day and niight without a problem So what is my system looking like Newest device less than weeks ATI Raedon XT with mg ram And this is all fairly new less than months g of matched pairs of Corsair XMS DDR ram w PSU AMD X Dual Core ASUS M N-SLI Deluxe A bit older less than months SATA Gig HDD All the drivers are up to date and actually are WHQL or whatever signed The only thing I have not done is revert back to Windows XP Home I have done XP Vista Vista all with fresh installs on slow formatted HDD I cannot throw any more money at this so any help will be greatly appreciated

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/gaming-in-vista-causes-bsods-212396.html
Relevancy 41.28%

I have HP Notebook with Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit and 4Gb ram. When i Watch my system I only see 3 gb ram. I read that all the 4gb is still there, but the 1gb what is not shown is used by OS. When i play games, does my computer uses all 4gb or only the 3gb that is shown? Does 32-bit windows take down my gaming performance?

A:Windows Vista 32-bit and Gaming

See if the following article helps explain why you are not seeing the full 4GB RAM in a 32-bit Vista system: The system memory that is reported in the System Information dialog box in Windows Vista is less than you expect if 4 GB of RAM is installed. Seeing 3.2-3.3 GB is common and not indicative of a problem with your system (nor is there much you can do to change this).

I don't know if gaming performance is better with 64-bit systems or 32-bit systems if both have the same amount of RAM installed and the same video cards (with the same RAM on the cards) and the same other hardware performance characteristics (like the speed of the hard drive, the refresh rate limits of the monitor, and other such things). I suspect the 64-bit system may be a little faster all other things equal on some games and no different on others but that's just an educated guess (assuming you have a 64-bit processor and motherboard). Of course, if you add more RAM to the 64-bit system (something you can't do with a 32-bit system) and increase RAM on your video card, you will probably see some improvement - if the rest of your system can handle it and all the other devices are "enhanced" so nothing is causing a bottleneck (like maybe a slow monitor or something like that).

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

http://www.vistax64.com/gaming/282723-windows-vista-32-bit-gaming.html
Relevancy 41.28%

I am trying to connect across a wireless network (TCP) for multiplayer gaming. My computer recognises the host, but as soon as I try to connect I get the message:

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

I click Close Program, but there's no notification about a solution to my problem.

If I try to host the game myself, I get the same error message.

Any suggestions of things I could try?

A:Multiplayer gaming - Vista

Sounds like a problem with the actual game you're using.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/multiplayer-gaming-vista.944945/
Relevancy 41.28%

When I upgraded to windows vista red alert two doesn't work any more. I would boot the game which works fine but when i get around 5-15 seconds in the game it would kill all my people and it would say Game Over and go to menu again does anyone know the problem??

A:Vista Gaming Issues!

Have you tried setting it to run in compatibility mode? Try setting it to run in compatibility mode for XP SP2, and Run as Administrator. Just a guess, but worth a shot

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-gaming-issues.546714/
Relevancy 41.28%

i recently bought C&C Tiberium Wars which is refusing to run on my Vista 64 bit OS. My configuration is way in excess of the minimum system requirements but i understand that there is some issue with the game running in 64 bit. What do i do? How does running it in XP compatibility mode work?

A:Vista 64 Bit Gaming Compatibility

If you want the quick step by step instructions to run a program in compatibility mode you can just open up the help file in windows (hit START menu>help )

It has links on how to set up compatibility mode for XP all the way down to windows 95.
It works pretty well, but one of the important things you may have to set is "run in administrator mode"
Also if you have UAC (user access controls ) enabled, you may have to click through "yes i would like to do this function" a couple times.

I can get most older games to run this way, but some games the old 16 bit ones are just not compatible with the operating system.

http://www.vistax64.com/gaming/206987-vista-64-bit-gaming-compatibility.html
Relevancy 41.28%

Hello all i just got a brand new HP computer got it today see specs listed at bottom of post with the infamous Vista and after installing Warcraft TFT i noticed the game runs like crap Utter crap My year old computer with MB of RAM and Nvidia GeForce runs the game at max settings and makes the game pur like a kitten it runs it the way it should be running and this new computer runs it like the computers years old Because of this i figured it must just be a driver problem I went to Nvidia s website followed their advise on getting all the new Windows Vista hotfixes updates got the latest video drivers directly from Nvidia and it still runs the same I got rid of all that proprietary crap and all the other initial junk that came with the system originally I installed it on my parents brand new laptop with Ghz of RAM Vista still and it still ran terribly I even tried downloading quot Vista Smoker Pro quot which optimizes your computer for gaming and even that didn t alter my performance Gaming Poor on Vista Can anyone tell my what it is i can do Is this just because Vista is Poor Gaming on Vista Satan in digital form Is it the computer Here s the specs HP S W AMD Athlon X Dual Core Processor Ghz MB MB DDR RAM NVIDIA GeForce SE nForce Windows Vista Premium -Bit OS Let me know what you guys think i m Poor Gaming on Vista not too pleased so far with Vista - - nbsp

A:Poor Gaming on Vista

I think you need to do some Game research and find out if the versions of these game are compatible with Vista. Most of the issues with games and Vista is with the games.

You need to check things out and not JUST go and install things that you don't know if they will work or not.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/poor-gaming-on-vista.649296/
Relevancy 41.28%

I have a copy of Home Premium 64 bit that I have yet to use. I purchased it assuming that I would want to upgrade in the future when the kinks were worked out. With the release of SP1 I am finally considering getting rid of XP altogether and going with Vista straight out.

The only problem is, I mostly use my computer for gaming. I know, back when, Vista 64 was a poor option for gamers. Has anything changed with all of the updates? Are there gamers that happily run on Vista 64? How is the performance comparatively to XP 32-Bit?

The main reasons I want to upgrade are obvious.. so I can utilize all of my memory, and so I can play games in DX10 mode.

Thanks for any help

A:How is Vista 64 these days for gaming?

I'm not having any problems at all. Bioshock plays VERY well on 64-bit. Others have reported good gameplay with Crysis and Call of Duty. If you have a problem with a legacy game, you can always use the Compatibility mode. I have even successfuly played Thief on Vista 64-bit (with a very slight file manipulation).

http://www.vistax64.com/gaming/146872-how-vista-64-these-days-gaming.html
Relevancy 41.28%

hello Since last weak i switched from xp bit to Vista X and it has been Vista @ gaming BSOD x64 3D bump into the other having blue screens so far The blue screen i currently am annoyed by is BCCode e Vista x64 BSOD @ 3D gaming while playing a mmo game The BSOD crashes occur at random while playing the mmo game world of warcraft config Windows Vista X CPU core duo E stock Motherboard Asus P Q pro memory corsair x GB XMS mhz cas video club D ati PSU watt thermaltake Case Antec P The BSOD message Problem signature Problem Event Name BlueScreen OS Version Locale ID Additional information about the problem BCCode e BCP F BCP FFFFF A FA BCP BCP BEB OS Version Service Pack Product Files that help describe the problem C Windows Minidump Mini - dmp C Users patrick persoon AppData Local Temp WER- - sysdata xml C Users patrick persoon AppData Local Temp WERB tmp version txt Ow yeah p s i would be very gratefull if someone can help me P s i already had run memtest for about hour - gt no errors minidump xml and txt file included

A:Vista x64 BSOD @ 3D gaming

SP1 installed

like you can see -> core 2 duo (so yeah X64 processor installed)
and XP 32bit is a nogo -> seeing that i have 4 gigs of RAM.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/vista-x64-bsod-3d-gaming-294159.html
Relevancy 41.28%

I recently swapped to Windows Vista OS and ever since i have not been able to play certain games. (Battle for Middle Earth specifically), after playing for about 5 or 10 minutes the game crashes.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem?
Also, do you know what games do/not work?

Thanks

A:Vista Gaming Problems

Did you install the game correctly? (Install as administrator?)
Also it would be helpful if you posted any error messages you got from the game crash, that might help people narrow down the cause more effectively.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vista-gaming-problems-226991.html
Relevancy 41.28%

Hi all problem! Vista Gaming /PC / Last week i kept having a few problems with my Gaming / Vista /PC problem! pc it started off that when i was Gaming / Vista /PC problem! playing Lord of the rings online and i tried to connect to teamspeak then the game would freeze up instantly thinking nothing off it i thought it was time for a reformat anyway as my pc has not been running as smoothly as i would have liked So i reinstalled vista and a couple of games which i play lotro and champions plus teamspeak and then the usual avg xfire firefox etc I updated all the drivers to there newest releases and then attempted to play the games the first one i tried was lotro everytime i tried to get into the game it would crash on load up or then get to character selection screen where it would list my characters but would not display them I messed with this for a few days adjusting settings and even going back to previous graphics drivers that had previously worked etc even reinstalling and patching the game times all with the same result At that point i thought my pc might just not like that game so the tonight ive tried playing champions online at first when i was playing it was ok but then i logged into teamspeak and then boom it freezes again so i logged out and now everytime i try to log in it says fatal error and says a crc check is needed which it does if i start the game up but then freezes again This fault is really annoying me now oh and another thing before i reformatted i ran mem test in windows for hours with no errors if that helps Dont know if it will help but ill attach a dxdiag too If anyone can help id be much appreaciative Thanks Aiden nbsp

Relevancy 41.28%

I guess I'll put it here, because it's not specified to one game.

I have recently build a new pc (9800GTX graphics card,4GB RAM, intel core 2 duo 8400, Gigabyte x48-DS4 motherboard...) and the problem is, I almost can't game because I have to put the setting sextremely low to be able to play which is not normal with a new high-end gaming computer. Also the score in Vista is only 3.7 which I think is very very low and I see no way how to improve it.

I installed all kinds of drivers from the disk given with my gigabyte motherboard and the latest drivers for my Nvidia graphics card.

I'm running a 64-bit version of Vista Business with SP1

What can I do to solve this? Any ideas, suggestions?

A:Problem gaming with Vista

Thats strange, coz my laptop gets 4.6, and your computer is definately fit to play any game on extremely high...

All I can suggest is reformat but have the following ready.

Make a setup disc containing:
-Vista SP1 install which will be the first thing you install after the format (Or unless you have Vista SP1 as is)
-All your drivers needed from the manufactuers sites (so you dont have any old ones by mistake)
-(Take special care when getting graphics drivers) Go to nVidia first and get the official ones, then after you can go custom.

If this doesnt help i have no idea...

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/problem-gaming-with-vista-264727.html
Relevancy 41.28%

Hi Guys, appologies for asking this if its already mentioned:

I am Building a new pc with the folowing components:

Intel Core Duo E8400 3.0ghz
2x Pioneer blue ray writers
ASUS striker extreme mobo
OCZ reaper pc2-6400 ddr2 ram - 8GB
BFG Geforce 9800 GTX+ OC x2 (sli)
Thermaltake Armor VE2000BWS liquid cool case
Thermaltake Touchpower 850Watt PSU
Maxtor 500GB sata 2 HD x2

Bearing all the above in mind, what is the best vista version I should buy for playing games like S.T.A.L.K.E.R , Call of duty 4, and Crysis, also Farcry 2 when it comes.

I need it to also be compatible with dual boot for XP Pro for older games.

your views appreciated.

Cheers

Steve

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/best-vista-version-for-gaming-297216.html
Relevancy 41.28%

I bought this laptop not too long ago. It has Vista on it, of coarse, and since it included a 3D card, I have been playing a few games on it lately. Just the other day, I was playing FF8, and it requires that my screen goes to 600 by 800 mode. It works fine, but ever since I started playing games that go into that mode, sometimes when I shut them down, the computer will stay in that mode. I'll restart my computer, and after loggin, the screen will be at normal size, then the screen will flash black, then it will be at a smaller size.

I can get back to the previous screen size with no problem (usually), but having to do that almost every time I log on is somewhat annoying.

Is there a fix to this problem of the screen size resizing itself on startup?

Thanks!

Relevancy 41.28%

Hi all I have recently acquired a PC running Vista Home Premium bit and I am having trouble with some games The situation on Vista 64 Gaming issues is as follows Desktop PC with Vista Home Premium Sp Intel Core Quad Q Ghz FSB Gaming issues on Vista 64 Mhz Gaming issues on Vista 64 Gb DDR ram Nvidia GS Mb Gb disk This machine will only run FarCry in the lowest settings where the water is just a white block anything higher like medium settings and the whole thing whites out you can play but playing in peasoup fog is not very interesting This machine also plays Civilisation IV like a dog even from the very start the map scrolls across the screen in monthly installments and the movement of units is not much better Only had the machine days have upgraded the Nvidia drivers to but no improvement on either game Plays Rome Total War just fine Laptop with Vista Home Premium Sp Intel Core Duo T Ghz FSB Mhz Gb DDR ram Nvidia M GT Mb Gb disk Runs FarCry and Rome Total War fine and runs Civ Iv an absolute dream throughout the game even on the largest worlds Desktop PC with XP Home Sp Intel P Prescot Ghz FSB Mhz Gb DDR ram ATI X Mb Gb disk Runs FarCry and Rome Total War fine and runs Civ Iv an absolute dream throughout the game even on the largest worlds Any suggestions on what the issues might be with the new machine would be much appreciated given its windows experience rating far out strips the laptop Meanwhile I will get some fishing done Thanks and Happy New Year to all

A:Gaming issues on Vista 64

Have you patched the game? if so, was it with the autopatcher or stand alone installation?

http://www.vistax64.com/gaming/202831-gaming-issues-vista-64-a.html
Relevancy 41.28%

Basically I'm at a stalemate with myself. I know well about Vista's issues - but what I'm wondering is from a gaming point of view. I'm currently running Windows XP Professional SP2 (my Win7 disc is 64 bit only and won't run on this rig 'till I upgrade the CPU =( ) and essentially I'm wondering - is Vista any better for gaming? For the record, I've an ATi Radeon HD 4350 graphics card.

A:Windows XP to Vista - Better for gaming?

This board is not for support or advice running Windows Vista, hence the name Windows 7 Forums.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/95330-windows-xp-vista-better-gaming.html
Relevancy 41.28%

Im thinking of buying a new desktop for gaming. The comp i was thinking of buying has a intel duo core 2.3 GH, 2 gigs of ram, and a nvidia 8600 gt 256 mg graphics card. Is this enough for vista gaming? Also, a game that i wanted to buy was medieval total war 2, is vista direct x 9.0c compatibile? would this game be compatibile with vista, or should i go with xp?

A:vista in general for gaming

Originally Posted by forum112

Im thinking of buying a new desktop for gaming. The comp i was thinking of buying has a intel duo core 2.3 GH, 2 gigs of ram, and a nvidia 8600 gt 256 mg graphics card. Is this enough for vista gaming? Also, a game that i wanted to buy was medieval total war 2, is vista direct x 9.0c compatibile? would this game be compatibile with vista, or should i go with xp?

I don't know if you have already made your computer purchase but that system should be able to handle medieval 2 total war. What I would suggest if you are getting the x64 version of Windows Vista, is adding 2 mor gigs of ram. This would give you plenty of juice to run almost all games. As far as going with Vista or XP, it doesn't really matter. But if you do go with XP just get 2 gigs or ram because XP doesn't support 4 gigs.

http://www.vistax64.com/gaming/81205-vista-general-gaming.html
Relevancy 41.28%

The progression of software and gaming technology As times goes on technology inevitably advances Back in the s words like megabyte were considered to represent a large amount of space on a hard drive or in total system ram In the mid s we began to see megabytes in mass numbers when it came to RAM At present we Gaming What Vista: means. it on are in the midst of the first decade in the Gaming on Vista: What it means. st century Hard drives are just now begining to be meassured in terabytes and ram is being meassured in multiple gigs With the increase in horsepower and ranchspace that fuels PCs as they advance software becomes hungrier and hungrier of these resources If you try to run Windows XP on a PC built for Windows you will note that the entire system may come to a hault Likewise if you attempt to run Windows Vista and DirectX games on a machine built for Windows XP you will encounter similar results What does this mean This means that with each new installment of Windows that there is a new set of standards for system requirements to run the operating system Windows Vista is more hungry than Windows XP when it comes to your system's resources Everything you run will run slower on Vista due to the simple fact that Vista uses more of your system so do not post your frame rates and ask us quot why are they lower quot Windows XP was designed to run with a reccomended mb of ram and an optimal gb of ram for gaming If you disagree with me try running Battlefield in Titan Game Mode on a person server with maximum detail if you think windows XP doesn't want gb of ram for optimal performance When converting to windows vista it is important to note Vista uses more of your base system so your system should be proportionately stronger in order to strong the performance dip My reccomendations To even run vista reasonably you will want a minimum of two gigs of ram If you intend to game on Vista begin looking at the prices of directx videocards that is the Geforce series and the AMD ATI r series and invest in gb of ram A bit processor is going to become the industry standard within this new generation of Windows and as such Windows Vista ships with both a x and x install disc Take advantage of the bit version of Vista and invest in either an Intel Core Duo or an AMD Athlon X or FX Combine this with six gigabytes of ram and a DirectX enabled videocard and you have yourself a machine capable of gaming under vista Converting your PC that struggled with gaming under Windows XP to vista is going to get you no where Upgrade your system to play games in vista End of story What does Vista have in store for gaming that XP doesn't The Future Unfortunately for Macintosh the open source community and Sony Microsoft controls the gaming industry's standard technology of DirectX DirectX is software that works as an interface between game developers through the medium of the operating system to gain direct control of the hardware's capabilities such as that of Nvidia or AMD ATI DirectX is used and updated to match the ever so new special effects in videogames by giving them direct access to the hardware that creates these effects Suppose you stay on Windows XP and stick with DirectX c -- you will only play games and have hardware that operates the visual effects of that era the era that just ended in January of Windows Vista on the other hand operates in a DirectX environment carrying with it the technology necessary to interface with the graphics cards and video games of tomorrow -- a technology that Microsoft owns and thus has the right to deny users of Windows XP access to indirectly forcing any true desktop gamers to convert to Windows Vista or stay in the days of old school gaming You can fight and scream to defend your DirectX hardware and operating system but eventually you will have to make the switch if you intend to play the games of tomorrow

A:Gaming on Vista: What it means.

Flawless Compatability:
World of Warcraft
Company of Heroes
Supreme Commander
Rainbow Six: Vegas
Battlestations: Midway
Command and Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars
Quake 4
Doom 3
Unreal Tournament 2004
Half Life 1, Half Life 2, Counterstrike, and all of Steam
Oblivion
Age of Empires 3
Civilization 4
Battle for Middle Earth 1/2

Performance dip but playable:
Battlefield 2142
Battlefield 2
Call of Duty 2

Unplayable:

http://www.vistax64.com/gaming/44726-gaming-vista-what-means.html
Relevancy 40.85%

Is it a viable option to partition off 20 GB of my current partition to install Vista, so that I can boot it to play games that support DX10?

I know it's possible, but are there any complications? Will I be able to just run the DX10 games off the already-existing XP partition? Do I need to install drivers while in Vista, and will that interfere with XP?

Relevancy 40.85%

Are there any games that work on Windows vista home premium? The only one that has worked for me is Realflight g3.5....Tigerwoods 05,nascar simracing and mvpbaseball 2005 do not work at all.Is this fixable right now???

Relevancy 40.85%

no matter what game i play within a period of time it will fully lock up. and then memory dump forcing reboot.

i will try and get the blue screen writing down. its not up there a long time. and im a slow writer.

what ive tried:
1.messing around with paging file.
2.tryed gaming with and without ati catalist.
3. tried gaming with just display driver.
4. tryed updating all hardware.
5. tryed fully updating vista.

games i have played:
cod4
crysis
wow
assasins creed
mass effect
computer specs:
ram: 8gb of gskill 800 speed
graphics card: ati hd3870 oc edition
powersupply: 750 watt powersupply
motherboard: BIOSTAR NF520-A2 AM2 NVIDIA nForce 520 MCP ATX AMD Motherboard
cpu: amd athlon 64 x2 duel core processor 6400+

Relevancy 40.85%

Hi,
I was wondering if windows vista business would be any good for gaming (flightsims) or would I be better with home basic or XP? If I was getting windows bussiness would I be better with 32bit or x64?

http://www.vistax64.com/gaming/293779-windows-vista-business-gaming.html
Relevancy 40.85%

it is very hard for me to find a decent computer that doesn't have vista on it. is vista good for gaming? i play world of warcraft allot. So i want to know is vista good for gaming and jsut regular internet browsing? thanks a bunch

A:Help with bying a Vista Computer for Gaming

i play all the games on my vista machine that i played on my XP machine. some of the things to do is get is memory 2GB or more is best. and a really good video card. i have the gateway FX530 and i had this for a year. now they have the new FX540. check it out here.
http://www.gateway.com/programs/fx540/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-with-bying-a-vista-computer-for-gaming.679982/
Relevancy 40.85%

Hi. My name is misty. I just bought a pc that has windows vista on it. I have a hp pavilion slimline. My problem is that online games runescape and pogo are no longer working. i can get runescape to pull up and play but it lags really bad and pogo will not let us play but one game. it refuses to let us open any other games. i need some serious help. this windows vista has beaten me and its becoming more of a problem than a blessing. please help

Relevancy 40.85%

hey so im trying to play WC3 TFT and whenever i attempt to login to battle.net i get an error saying that there is a problem with my harddrive and/or there isnt enough space. however my harddrive has lots of space and my computer is new, i tried to download the patch from the site and when i try to install it i get this error

Blizzard PrePatch v2.70 compiled on Jul 7 2003
This program patches Warcraft 3

Log created at 11:57 pm on 05/18/2008

Registry error loading key 'Warcraft III\InstallPath'
The system cannot find the file specified.

RESULT: Prepatch failed

help anyone? thanks in advance.

A:online gaming help (vista problem)

Quote:

Originally Posted by lablur1491

hey so im trying to play WC3 TFT and whenever i attempt to login to battle.net i get an error saying that there is a problem with my harddrive and/or there isnt enough space. however my harddrive has lots of space and my computer is new, i tried to download the patch from the site and when i try to install it i get this error

Blizzard PrePatch v2.70 compiled on Jul 7 2003
This program patches Warcraft 3

Log created at 11:57 pm on 05/18/2008

Registry error loading key 'Warcraft III\InstallPath'
The system cannot find the file specified.

RESULT: Prepatch failed

help anyone? thanks in advance.

Manually clear out all your temp folders.

What you are experiencing is common and happened to me if your TEMP folder is filled with stuff.

Use ccleaner if you lazy :-)

http://www.ccleaner.com/

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/online-gaming-help-vista-problem-250897.html
Relevancy 40.85%

Hi guys i m looking for some advice today to help me get my current system to be good for gaming on vista The system is Windows Vista bit Ultimate Good for card vista gaming Edition ASUS A N-SLI SE AMD Athlon bit Processor single GB RAM mixed x GB x MB GeForce GT to be upgraded GB IDE Hard Drive my problem is that when i upgraded my computer to windows vista i found that it ran OK maybe a little slow and i was happy with it running the problems began when i tried to play FIFA as you might expect it used to run max res max detail with no lag and work fine Now Good card for vista gaming i am on vista it doesn t and is very laggy BF used to run on the highest with only very minimal lag but now i have had to reduce the resolution to x ands the detail to medium to get it to run with no lag Anyway i though the problem was ram so i upgraded but there hasn t been an improvement in anything really so that obviously wasnt the reason for the poor performance So what i was wondering is what good graphics cards are there for gaming on vista my budget is about - but i would prefer it to be closer to the mark Also i would prefer the card to be by NVidia because my board doesnt support dual PCI with ATi cards Another question would be is that the thing that would improve performance or is it something else Any help greatly Appreciated Chris nbsp

A:Good card for vista gaming

One suggestion. Take out the 2 512MB RAM sticks, then put the 1GB sticks into either slots 1 and 3 or slots 2 and 4. You will have less RAM, but it will run at 2x the speed because of dual channel.

Try a 7900GS. It's worlds better than your 7300GT. If you can afford it, a 8800GTS either 640 or 320 MB would be much better still.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/good-card-for-vista-gaming.71452/
Relevancy 40.85%

Hi Vistax I'm having this big issue with Vista and First Person Shooters While playing I get a random quot freeze quot it only lasts for millisecond and this happens every mins Sometimes worse and sometimes it may last longer like tonight in game it didn't happen for mins of game play The thing is it doesn't happen in Windows XP bit I've basically replaced every part of my PC and it hasn't fixed the issue I have tried Different Graphics Cards GTX HD and a GTX Replaced Motherboard Different CPU's different E 's and a E Replaced PSU Last PSU was a OCZ GameXtream W now I have a Corsair HX W I have tried RAM GB stickk at a time I have GB all up My With Issues Vista (64bit) Gaming PC Specs E GHzGTX SP EP -UD P GB GBx G-Skill PI PC MHz For NowCorsair HX W TB GB Gaming With Vista (64bit) Issues WD GB Samsung GB WD Another thing to add in is it also happens with Windows bit I have also tried a RANGE of drivers and no go Thanks

http://www.vistax64.com/gaming/221340-gaming-vista-64bit-issues.html
Relevancy 40.85%

Just bought a new PC, haven't recieved it yet hence why I am asking this question.
The spec is:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750
8600gt 512mb
2gb DDR2 RAM
400gb HDD
Litescribe DVD/RW

I'm planning on playing games such as Call of Duty 4, Company of Heroes, Supreme Commander and older games such as No One Lives Forever, Warhammer 40k Dawn of War, Call of Duty 2, Battlefield 2 and Evil Genius.

What Operating system would be better to install for the above games?
What Operating system is safer?
Is Vista really the RAM hungry monster it's said to be?
Is Direct X 10 really a viable option with my graphics card?
Are all these games compatible with Vista?

Thanks,
MrRandomer.

Relevancy 40.85%

I've used Windows Vista Ultimate & Windows Vista Premium, I have a good PC to run Vista But i am lagging a little i was wondering is there a version of vista made for gaming.

A:Which version of Vista is good for gaming.

To be honest with you. You're better off using Windows XP at the moment. There aren't enough games out for Vista yet. Unless you're playing Halo 2. Also you might lag depending on how far away you are from the server or host. If you like in the UK, and you play a lot of US servers then there is potential lag or vise versa(spelling?). What I'm doing right now is duel booting XP and Vista. It works great because I can play Halo 2 on Vista, but also go and play the old school games on XP. Also make sure that when you're playing you don't have bittorrents on or downloading anything. Other than that I use Windows Vista Business as my Vista OS. I don't think it matters which one you have though. That shouldn't lag you.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/which-version-of-vista-is-good-for-gaming.602418/
Relevancy 40.85%

Hi everyone I am currently in the process of configuring a new Dell XPS I want the system new Vista help configuring gaming Newb..please PC to be primarily for gaming I have yet to use a PC with Vista so needless to say I am not familiar with it let alone the difference between Vista -bit and bit systems The price difference between the - and -bit systems that I am debating between is very small Anyway my questions and concerns are Is there an advantage to having a -bit version over a -bit Vista Newb..please help configuring new gaming PC version of vista when it comes to gaming Any performance problems issues of one or the other If I get the -bit version will GB of RAM be enough for gaming or do I need more Which processor will be better Intel Core Q Quad-Core MB L cache GHz FSB or Intel Core E MB GHz FSB How much hard drive space does the OS take up Would a GB hard drive be a decent size assuming I plan to remove most games after they are completed Here is the configuration Im looking at Price with shipping comes to USD Plus I have worth of Dell gift cards I've been saving Nice thing is in monitor is included I would appreciate as much input as I can possibly get please Thank you very much - XPS Intel Core Q Quad-Core MB L cache GHz FSB - Operating System Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium Edition SP -Bit - Memory GB Dual Channel DDR SDRAM at MHz - DIMMs - Monitors inch SE WFP Widescreen Digital Flat Panel Monitor - Video Card nVidia GeForce GT MB - Hard Drive GB - RPM SATA Gb s MB Cache - Optical Drive Dual Drives x Combo x DVD -RW w dbl layer write capable - Sound Cards Integrated Channel Audio - Office Productivity Software Pre-Installed Microsoft Works - Security Software McAfee SecurityCenter with anti-virus anti-spyware firewall -months - Warranty amp Service Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis - Datasafe No DataSafe NODTSF - LABELS Windows Vista Premium - DataSafe Online Backup Dell Remote Access free basic service

A:Vista Newb..please help configuring new gaming PC

Hello.

I'm no expert at all but I can tell you what I know!

- 64 vs 32? The main thing you will gain from the 64-bit Vista is the no RAM limit. You can take advantage of the full 4GB instead of 3.5GB(?) in the 32-bit Vista. I'm pretty sure that 64-bit is the future and more programs will be optimized for it in the future.

- A 500GB HDD is well enough for a normal gamer. I have one myself with games and over 30 movies and 10 seasons of TV-series and I still have plenty room left.

Everything looks good to me and I've heard nothing but good things about the 9800 GT from my friends.

Let someone else tell you about the CPU's as I have no idea, at all.

http://www.vistax64.com/gaming/202515-vista-newb-please-help-configuring-new-gaming-pc.html
Relevancy 40.42%

I have windows 10. Whenever I plug in my charger it sleeps.To get it back I either  have to 'close and open' my laptop or 'press the power button'. I tried setting sleep option to 'never' in the control panel and it didn't work . What should I do?

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19982904
Relevancy 40.42%

Hi Guys Thanks for the help right off I've got a home built PC with an ASUS P P mobo using Win X I've been working with the BSOD forum for about a month and finally figured out what was causing the crash They sent me here to figure out what to do with it When I cold boot my PC everything works fine If the PC goes to sleep start PC 3.0 sleeps after won't USB it either won't wake up and if left alone will either BSOD or go to a USB 3.0 won't start after PC sleeps restart screen selecting quot normal quot or quot repair quot will send it to the Windows logo screen and it will hang If I shut power off then restart at the restart screen select quot normal quot everything works probably of the time this is what happens The guys at the BSOD forum looked at all the dmp and other files and said they give no clue to the crash OR PC will wake up and the front USB is no longer functioning I also tried a pass through cable to my rear USB and no crashes but every time The front USB is plugged into a pin USB slot on the mobo I've downloaded the latest Renesas driver from ASUS The old driver won't recognize the front panel at all

A:USB 3.0 won't start after PC sleeps

What case are you using? How many USB 3.0 ports are on the front of the case? The 20-pin header should provide two. Are the case ports truely 3.0 or are you trying to use 2.0 ports on the case as 3.0?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/225435-usb-3-0-wont-start-after-pc-sleeps.html
Relevancy 40.42%

Hi there, in the "old days" when I was done with my computer I left it on, but after a certain amount of time it went to "sleep". That is the next day when I went to the computer room it was silent.

Now when I go it, the fan is still running and it sounds as if it is churning out spreadsheets. After a night of non-use.

Last night I logged out of my profile to see if perhaps something was running in the background but it still didn't sleep.

Also I noticed that the computer is slow on start-up, so I'm wondering if perhaps there is a background process running? I have worked with my startup list and have the minimum running so I don't think it's a startup application.

Any guesses??

Thanks.

A:The computer that never sleeps

You've checked the power settings/options in Control Panel?

If they are all set to "never", well...it's self-explanatory.

If you want to troubleshoot processes running...then you need to look at Task Manager, Process Manager, and such.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/337178/the-computer-that-never-sleeps/
Relevancy 40.42%

please help me, my laptop sleeps even when i am using it. when everything stops and when i press the power button again, its saying windows resuming..so i think its just going to a sleep mode...but why? hope u could help me with this. thanks!

A:my Laptop sleeps even when im using it

For now start with this
Power Options and Sleep Mode Problems

and
Make sure that you are not set to sleep too soon after no activity.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/287221-my-laptop-sleeps-even-when-im-using.html
Relevancy 40.42%

Hello all. I'm hoping someone can help me. I have a user who's laptop is running XP with SP3. The power config is set to "always on" so that the laptop never hibernates or goes to sleep. However, when the user leaves for the day, she returns the next morning to a sleeping computer. THe power button is flashing blue and she must push it in order for the laptop to wake up. THe laptop is sitting on a laptop docking station. Laptop is a Dell Latitude E5510.

This presents a problem because it does not allow the user to connect to her laptop from home via VPN. We have many users configured this way and they are all working fine. Does anyone have any ideas?

A:Computer sleeps anyway when set to Always On

Worth a look, http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Sleep-and-hibernation-frequently-asked-questions .

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/411153/computer-sleeps-anyway-when-set-to-always-on/
Relevancy 40.42%

So, i have this problem, well not really a problem, but most nights i leave my laptop on it automatically goes into sleep mode Now, in power options i don't have it set to sleep... So I'm wondering why it's constantly going into sleep mode ???

A:Windows7 Always Sleeps?

Are you in sleep mode or is it just the monitor?

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/68945-windows7-always-sleeps.html
Relevancy 40.42%

My computer frequently stops functioning - the arrow may move, but nothing happens for 30 seconds or 3 minutes - then it works normally. Problem for weeks, and happening more often. Windows Defender, Spyware Terminator, Avast Virus all negative. Problem exists even when not on internet - which I get through Embarq. Machine occasionally turned off by Windows because of the problem, and I get nothing when I check for them to correct it. Never a problem when using MS Office.

A:Computer sleeps

The machine is going in to the sleep or hibernation mode. Depending of how much is running at the time, it can take a long time to copy the files from the disk to memory.

You may want to turn OFF the sleep and/or hibernation.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-sleeps.866138/
Relevancy 40.42%

Hiberfil.sys is 2.554 GB large, Pagefile.sys is 3.405 large, but hibernate is not listed as a choice anywhere. Search of the OS doesn't provide any help.

A:Sleeps but won't hibernate

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920730

The pagefile is a necessary file, while hiberfil.sys is not.  I've never seen the advantages of hibernation, so I always disable it and delete hiberfil.sys.

You can manually adjust the size of the pagefile...the default settings make it much larger than it should be, IMO, based on the fact that a Win 7 system is not likely to be as RAM-deficient as previous versions of Windows.  The more RAM employed...the less use for a large pagefile.

The default pagefile setting results in 1.5 times the amount of installed RAM...a system with 4GB or more of RAM...does not need the default settings used, IMO.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/549953/sleeps-but-wont-hibernate/
Relevancy 40.42%

When I close the lip to my laptop I have it set to sleep but since yesterday it has been shutting down whenever it goes to sleep. I have had the laptop for a year and sleep was working fine till last night. I have attempted to sleep from the start menu and also shuts the laptop down. Any Help? Its rather annoying to have to reboot several times a day.

A:Shutdown When Sleeps

try this, start>control panel>power options>change when the computer sleeps (left hand side)>change advanced power settings click the + sign next to power buttons and lid...click the + sign next to lid close action...whats it set to? you can click the blue writing and change the action from the drop down menu...also check the sleep button action...

good luck!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/383675/shutdown-when-sleeps/
Relevancy 40.42%

Well, literally.

I put few torrents on Azureas Vuze when I go to sleep. I used to use uTorrent before but I can't now..
So, what happens is when I make wake up in the morning, I see the PC power button off, when I press the power button, it resumes from sleep and everything is loaded just the way I left, the Azureas is downloading but without much progress from yesterday night.

What seems to be the problem ? I want PC to run when the torrent is running, but if its not and everything is idle, it should go to sleep as usual.

A:PC with 7, sleeps after I sleep.

Configure the power settings. Start > type "power" > open "Power Options"

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/43889-pc-7-sleeps-after-i-sleep.html
Relevancy 40.42%

Hi guys

I have a 1TB Samsung external HDD that always disappears from Windows Explorer after resuming from sleep mode. I thought it might be USB related issue so I took the HDD out of its external casing and installed it in my PC, where it will be from now on permanently. But... still the same issue, after sleep its gone, only way to get it back is by rebooting

My other HDDs are still present after sleep, its only that one that vanishes.

Is there anyway to fix this ?

Thanks in advance

edit: Running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit btw

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/379427-hdd-disappears-after-pc-sleeps.html
Relevancy 40.42%

PC comes out of sleep mode all the time (every 1/2 hr or so) some program must be doing this. I reset power mgmt to factory defaults, no help. I ran powercfg -lastwake, no results, even right after my screen pops up out of sleep. Looked at msconfig startup, didn't see anything unsual. Looked at task management - processes, nothing unusual, but not sure. Help please!!

A:No Longer Sleeps??

This can be caused by many issues, but most notably "Wake on LAN". It basically means that any network traffic will cause your computer to wake up.

You can disable it:

Start > Search "Device Manager" > Network Adapters > Choose your network adapter > Right Click > Properties > Power Management > Turn off "Allow this device to wake the computer"

You can go through and do the same for any other device you might think are waking the computer. However, if you disable all devices you'll have to use the power button to wake the computer instead of wiggling the mouse or tapping a key.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/79644-no-longer-sleeps.html
Relevancy 40.42%

Win 10 64
AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4Ghz
16 GB RAM
Printer wired to LAN.
Happens on old HP 2170 and new HL-L2360 printers.
Same problem printing from Reader, Word, Quickbooks.

PC appears to go to sleep after starting first print job. Sometimes the BIOS screen shows (restart?) other times I only have to log back in to my user account. Only happens when printing. After the first or second occurrence, the second or third printing job works w/o causing PC to sleep/ log off/ restart.

A:PC Sleeps When Printing

Have you tried re-installing the drivers (for Windows 10)? Software & driver downloads HP PSC 2170 All-in-One Printer | HP? Support

Downloads | HL-L2360DW | United States | Brother

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f338/pc-sleeps-when-printing-1086737.html
Relevancy 40.42%

i have been using my acer aspire m for a little over years it s not the best pc in the world but it works for music production and some games which is all i need up until about months ago it worked great then i started to notice some programs especially sony acid were not working very well so i cleaned house and uninstalled unnecessary programs tweaked some system settings tweak vi also disabled some services using a reputable guide failing in CPU while gaming crashing/power Vista during a malware scan i discovered the problem was a quot worm quot that was creating all the crazy system processes that i knew were bad but couldn t delete them i was able to fix my worm with ComboFix everything seemed fine after CPU crashing/power failing while gaming in Vista that about a month after i started getting CPU crashing/power failing while gaming in Vista driver power state failure then things worked fine up until now i cleaned the entire cpu today from the inside with compressed air even opened the power supply and cleaned all the crap out of that unfortuntely i crash when i am playing games but it doesnt crash when im not gaming even if im on for hours but will crash within first mins of a game any ideas i upgraded to vista sp no difference ty for taking time to read O nbsp

A:CPU crashing/power failing while gaming in Vista

does it crash only with a certain game? this may be a driver issue

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cpu-crashing-power-failing-while-gaming-in-vista.925940/
Relevancy 40.42%

Anyone have any performance or other gaming issues after upgrading to vista?

A:Gaming Under Vista? Any Problems/performance Issues?

They have a Windows Vista Performance Guide over at Anadtech, where they discuss the ups and downs on, amongst other things, gaming on Vista.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/80169/gaming-under-vista-any-problemsperformance-issues/
Relevancy 40.42%

hi there could you help me with a few question
Konig gaming ps2/psx convert to pc usb does it work on vista?

i have a wireless logitech playstation controller and would like to know if it would work by using the converter ?

thanks if you can help

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/konig-gaming-ps2-psx-convert-to-pc-usb-does-it-work-on-vista.832698/
Relevancy 40.42%

Hey guuys trying to tweak vista the best that i can for stable gaming..

Ive read quite a bit on windows indexing, how it speeds up your searches of your hardrive or storage space...

but how would turning it off improve performance ? i dont understand that part , is it gunna make much difference at all ? is it pointless ? will i even notice a difference..

apoligies for the simple questions, im a simple person :)

A:Optimizing vista for gaming - windows indexing ?

This article explains how to disable indexing.
Speed Up or Disable Windows Search Indexing in Vista - How-To Geek

But don't expect much from it. Indexing only runs occasionally so unless it is running this setting will do nothing. When it is running the impact on performance depends on many factors.

You can find tweaks all over the Internet. Unfortunately, most of them have little effect and some are harmful.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/optimizing-vista-for-gaming-windows-indexing-628998.html
Relevancy 40.42%

Hello I m new to this board but I have spent ages looking for information that might and gaming the Vista for - LAN issues the of XP source issue? what's help me to no avail I apologise if I ve missed it in my searching and I know this problem seems to crop up a lot But if you have any advice I d be most grateful I have two laptops one running Vista and one running XP We re trying to play a game we tried both Red Alert and Battle for Middle-earth II and we do have the most recent patches on both We realised there was an issue when XP and Vista LAN issues for gaming - what's the source of the issue? trying to play BFME II because we could see each other in the Lobby and when one typed a message it took about - seconds to show on the other s screen and one could create a game but when the other tried to join it it would say quot Failed Connection Timed Out quot So began our quest This is what we XP and Vista LAN issues for gaming - what's the source of the issue? have tried Checking our IP addresses are in the same range XP latest update and installation of LLTD Responder Vista latest update SP both have tried with Windows Firewalls turned off and on with exceptions including File amp Printer sharing and the specific games Turning off AVG Vista Network Discovery File Sharing both on with the network set to Private XP Network set to private Both have workgroup name quot WORKGROUP quot Logging into XP and Vista LAN issues for gaming - what's the source of the issue? our o Thomson TG v router and opening ports - as required for BFME II - although I ve done this according to step-by-step instructions when I use various online port scanning sites they all say that those ports are closed so if this is the issue I really need help in figuring out how to open the ports I ve logged in as SuperUser AND Administrator made a manual entry of the port range from - set to be open on both my Vista machine and the XP machine but this has made no difference I know it s still saved because when I log back in those ports are still there but for all the good it does Logged into the router and disabled the firewall I know a bit dodgy I re-enabled it as it didn t do any good anyhow Neither of us have an hidden firewalls that we might ve missed that are running as I only run AVG anti-virus Vista password protected sharing is turned off though I don t see how this is relevant anyhow as we re not trying to share files but to play a game On Vista I can see the XP machine in the Network and can access his public folders but on the Wireless Connection Network Map Vista is connected to the internet via the router and his XP is down at the bottom saying it could not be placed on the map We have also tried connecting directly to one another with an ethernet cable and this made no difference whatsoever other than that we had an quot unidentified quot LAN with limited connectivity but it didn t do any good from what I could see We are using dynamic IP addresses and I confess to not knowing much about IP addresses I wouldn t think we d need to set a static one to simply play a multi-player game which btw yes we do each have our own version installed We ve tried connecting each laptop directly to the router with cables directly to each other and obviously preferably just setting up a LAN through the wireless No matter what combination of these things we ve tried I haven t seen a difference One issue that I don t know if is normal or not is that when both machines are running the game we both automatically lose WiFi connection until we shut down the game completely Normal I don t know But it might help solve the issue If you have any suggestions please let me know I m pulling out my hair and every tech-friendly person I ve contacted that I know says quot well just make sure they both have the same workgroup name and that Network Discovery is turned on quot or quot turn off your firewalls quot as I suppose those are the most common mistakes but we ve tried that alre... Read more

A:XP and Vista LAN issues for gaming - what's the source of the issue?

Bueller?

I guess I don't feel bad for not figuring it out - everyone I've talked to can only suggest the only standby "turn off your firewalls." Hmmmm.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/xp-and-vista-lan-issues-for-gaming-whats-the-source-of-the-issue.132695/
Relevancy 40.42%

First of all hello everyone I'm not native English so please apologize any lack of English knowledge or any 50% in Vista drop gaming Unknown 64 in performance errors in the following report Well Unknown 50% drop in gaming performance in Vista 64 this is my Unknown 50% drop in gaming performance in Vista 64 current problem I've installed Vista -bit in my computer Athlon X MSI K N-Neo V GeForce GT MB GB OCZ Platinum MHz Ram and two SATA hard-drives and after some days of tweaking I've got it up and running very smoothly I've been playing games like The Last Remnant World of Warcraft Wheelman HAWX and GRID withouth any problem up until April the th when I removed an IDE Hard-disk that I had for another person changed it for a good gb SATA and reconnected the Sata cables I went out for the holiday and when I came back and tried to play today April the th the games mentioned before score almost half the FPS they used to provide Some of them became unplayable at that rate and I cannot believe how such a drop could exist if I haven't touched any driver settings or else I'm an advanced user been fixing machines for years now but this one problem totally beat me as I'm new to Vista OS been using XP I'd be extremely thankful for any assistance in this matter I'm attaching my HijackThis log just in case if it helps Lemme know if I should provide any additional information

A:Unknown 50% drop in gaming performance in Vista 64

[Update]
Well, after many hours of guesswork, I was able to find the answer to my problem.

Thanks for reading.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/unknown-50-drop-in-gaming-performance-in-vista-64-a-366484.html
Relevancy 40.42%

I just installed Vista Ultimate 64 bit (birthday present)
I boot from it, install it and its a-ok.

I have the latest nvidia drivers for 64 bit vista installed and everything up to date.

Problem is.... Gaming is choppy, a little jittery..

CSS runs smoothly but when I move my mouse around to turn it jitters, it's wierd and difficult to write an explanation. The fps is okay I guess, I'd expect to get more but it's really bothering me that I can't run it smoothly.

I use to run crysis on my xp 32 bit at 50 constant (high settings becuase of dx9)

I now run it at 30 constant with SLI enabled (very high - dx10)
It is also jittery... and very annoying.

Any help would be very nice

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vista-ultimate-64-bit-choppy-gaming-crysis-css-343276.html
Relevancy 40.42%

My new Acer Aspire 5738G laptop keyboard doesnt function at all when trying to play certain games, for example stalker:shadow of Chernobyl and Gothic 3 and yet it works fine for newer games like stalker:clear sky and torchlight. Im running vista sp2 on it at the moment and am wondering whether i should look for new drivers or something

A:Vista laptop keyboard gaming problem

Quote:

Originally Posted by roflusuk

My new Acer Aspire 5738G laptop keyboard doesnt function at all when trying to play certain games, for example stalker:shadow of Chernobyl and Gothic 3 and yet it works fine for newer games like stalker:clear sky and torchlight. Im running vista sp2 on it at the moment and am wondering whether i should look for new drivers or something

If it is new I would do a complete windows update and also install any optional updates that may be available to see if that fixes the problem!! It might actually fix the problem!!!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vista-laptop-keyboard-gaming-problem-447126.html
Relevancy 40.42%

Hey all I have a copy of -bit Vista Home Installing Vista questions... for DX some gaming - basic 10 Basic I ve never installed it due to not having a system capable of running it well Now I do so I m planning to install it to take advantage of DX when playing Lord Installing Vista for DX 10 gaming - some basic questions... of the Rings Online Here are my questions - Just to confirm all versions of Vista run DX correct It s not limited to the premium versions or -bit versions right - I know that ideally a -bit OS is the way to go for the future Thing is I can t afford a new copy of Vista or or upgrade my RAM for quite some time and want to know if Home Basic will be good for gaming with only gb of RAM given my existing system configuration remains the same - Other than the Aero interface and the Media Center components are there any features that I would benefit from strictly on a gaming basis No I don t care about flashy interface graphics or the ability to watch TV on my PC I have a TV and PVR for that So basically I want to take advantage of DX graphics in LOTRO using my existing hardware Is this a feasible idea Also I will be dual-booting Vista off a partition on my existing HD if that matters Any advice you guys can give would be appreciated before I go ahead with this Thanks nbsp

A:Installing Vista for DX 10 gaming - some basic questions...

Yes,they all have DX10.
No,there isn't any gaming improvements in the
better versions.
I think DX10 is updated to 10.1 now,though games
arent using that yet.
2GB is fine.
Might want to make sure you have a decent video card
with a decent amount of memory.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/installing-vista-for-dx-10-gaming-some-basic-questions.812314/
Relevancy 39.99%

Windows - - dmp PM CRITICAL OBJECT TERMINATION x f fffffa bb fffffa be fffff e ntoskrnl exe ntoskrnl exe bc NT Kernel amp System Microsoft Windows Operating System Microsoft Corporation win sp gdr - x ntoskrnl exe bc C Windows Minidump - - dmp PM - - dmp PM KERNEL DATA INPAGE ERROR x a fffff fc a BSOD sleeps computer when ffffffff c d ad abe fffff b ntoskrnl exe ntoskrnl exe bc NT Kernel amp System Microsoft Windows Operating System Microsoft Corporation win BSOD when computer sleeps sp gdr - x ntoskrnl exe bc C Windows Minidump - - dmp PM - - dmp AM CRITICAL OBJECT TERMINATION x f fffffa fe fb fffffa fe fe fffff dd ntoskrnl exe ntoskrnl exe bc NT Kernel amp System Microsoft Windows Operating System Microsoft Corporation win sp gdr - x ntoskrnl exe bc C Windows Minidump - - dmp AM - - dmp AM KERNEL DATA INPAGE ERROR x a ffffffff c d fffffa ntoskrnl exe ntoskrnl exe bc NT Kernel amp System Microsoft Windows Operating System Microsoft Corporation win sp gdr - BSOD when computer sleeps x ntoskrnl exe bc C Windows Minidump - - dmp AM - - dmp AM CACHE MANAGER x fffff d fffff b fffff Ntfs sys Ntfs sys BSOD when computer sleeps e x ntoskrnl exe bc C Windows Minidump - - dmp AM - - dmp AM KERNEL DATA INPAGE ERROR x a ffffffff c d fffffa f ntoskrnl exe ntoskrnl exe bc NT Kernel amp System Microsoft Windows Operating System Microsoft Corporation win sp gdr - x ntoskrnl exe bc C Windows Minidump - - dmp AM - - dmp PM CRITICAL OBJECT TERMINATION x f fffffa fcac fffffa fcac fffff d ntoskrnl exe ntoskrnl exe bc NT Kernel amp System Microsoft Windows Operating System Microsoft Corporation win sp gdr - x ntoskrnl exe bc C Windows Minidump - - dmp PM Each seperation is in the following order Dump file Crash Time Bug Check String Bug Check Code Parameter Caused by Driver Caused By Address File Description Product Name Company File Version Processor Full Path Processor Count Major Version Minor Version Dump File Size Dump File Time

A:BSOD when computer sleeps

Please follow - Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Posting Instructions - Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7 & Vista

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/bsod-when-computer-sleeps-918378.html
Relevancy 39.99%

I have an old desktop sleeps randomly Dell Dimension I was having trouble with this desktop since it keeps on going to sleep randomly within - mins I figured it was time to reboot this comp anyways instead of trying to figure out whats wrong with it since it could have been a virus When I was installing a fresh copy of win xp back onto it along the process desktop randomly sleeps of installation of fresh copy of xp it still randomly goes to sleep n the installation cant be finish installing ive done this a couple of times already now it seems to be not a virus issue so i replaced the cd drive hard drive unplugged everything else except the keyboard n monitor from the back of the desktop n still doing the same thing im thinking its not the power supply since it still has power when it goes to sleep so im assuming its the motherboard that is doing that any help is appreciated nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/desktop-randomly-sleeps.1000888/
Relevancy 39.99%

Hi,
whenever my computer goes to sleep, I either get a BSOD when I turn it back on, or go straight to the black screen with boot options for "windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown".

the two BCCodes I've been getting are 7a and f4, I think the difference being when I send the computer to sleep or it is automated.

I have a custom build with 3570-K ivy bridge (not overclocked), asrock z77 motherboard, an OCZ 128 ssd and an EVGA GTX 550 ti.

there don't seem to be any problems during normal computer use.

I think I have attached the two minidump files from the two cases mentioned above. Please hesp me figure this out. Thank you.

A:BSOD whenever computer sleeps

Analysis:Your crashes were rather inconclusive.

Quote: Originally Posted by usasma

Usual causes: Memory, Paging file corruption, File system, Hard drive, Cabling, Virus infection, Improperly seated cards, BIOS, Bad motherboard, Missing Service Pack

From STOP 0x0000007A: KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR.
BSOD Posting Instructions:If you need further help, please follow the http://www.sevenforums.com/crashes-d...tructions.html to provide us with more information.

Also, please fill in your system specs in your profile and not in a post in this thread: System Info - See Your System Specs

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/239654-bsod-whenever-computer-sleeps.html
Relevancy 39.99%

Got a brand-new desktop, this has happened at least 4 times:

During normal use, the monitor will fall asleep on its own. After waking up, BSOD happens involving nvlddmkm.sys and not being able to restart the display driver. I've disabled every sleep feature I could find (Sleep, Hibernate, Hybrid sleep) and updated all my drivers, but the problem persists.

I later activated the driver verifier tool and while that was running, BSOD within seconds after log in, saying it has found a faulty driver.

System specs as follows and minidumps attached:

HP Pavilion p6210f
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
AMD Athlon II x4 620
6GB DDR2 RAM
Nvidia GeForce 9100 Integrated Graphics
HP 2009m 20" Monitor

A:Monitor Sleeps, then BSOD

Short version: try a downgrade of the driver package, just as a test. Make sure you're not overclocking anything. Forget about driver verifier - it can't help with your video BSOD.

==============================================
Detail: A stop 0x116 is a very specific type of bugcheck (BSOD). The OS Timeout Detection and Recovery (TDR) component has given up on trying to get a response from the [driver+video_card] combination, and in desperation it has crashed the OS. Before it triggered the bugcheck, TDR first attempted to send multiple "hello, are you there?!?" messages to the video [driver+card] combo, all of which were met with silence, as well as an attempt to fully reinitialise the video subsystem from scratch. Everything failed. The [driver+card] combo was unresponsive. TDR gave up and made everything go blue.

Driver verifier (DV) can't help in this instance, and besides you already know the name of the unresponsive driver:

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: X64_0x116_IMAGE_nvlddmkm.sys

In a curious twist, DV can reveal problems in drivers which would otherwise potentially pass unnoticed, and that is exactly what is happening in your 0xC4 crashes. Depending on the amount of DV driver scrutiny specified, (all) drivers on the system are subjected to some truly savage ordeals, such as for example denying their memory requests or forcing out all of their data to the disk so it has to be paged in again... DV is primarily a tool for driver developers hunting down bugs in their code.

On your box, DV found an apparent bug in an AVG filter driver:

0: kd> k
Child-SP RetAddr Call Site
fffff880`08d205b8 fffff800`02f003dc nt!KeBugCheckEx
fffff880`08d205c0 fffff800`02f00e1b nt!VerifierBugCheckIfAppropriate+0x3c
fffff880`08d20600 fffff800`02f11df8 nt!ExAllocatePoolSanityChecks+0xcb
fffff880`08d20640 fffff800`02f1209d nt!VeAllocatePoolWithTagPriority+0x88
fffff880`08d206b0 fffff880`02c6f707 nt!VerifierExAllocatePoolWithTag+0x1d
fffff880`08d206f0 fffff880`02cddb72 afd!WskTdiEHReceive+0xe7
fffff880`08d20780 fffff980`2838aea0 avgtdia+0x7b72

0: kd> lmvm avgtdia
start end module name
fffff880`02cd6000 fffff880`02d4b000 avgtdia T (no symbols)
Loaded symbol image file: avgtdia.sys
Image path: \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\avgtdia.sys
Image name: avgtdia.sys
Timestamp: Thu Oct 15 03:37:34 2009 (4AD5FE4E)

Not that it helps you any with your video timeout issues, but avgtdia.sys dated 15-Oct-2009 has been outed as a "pool corruptor". If you disable DV, you may never see a crash because of that problem, or it may silently corrupt your data, which is far, far worse.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/32422-monitor-sleeps-then-bsod.html
Relevancy 39.99%

I have an HP G72 Laptop that just started to Hibernate/Sleep (When I press power button it "Resumes Windows"). I've run AVG= Nothing found IObit Mal-ware Fighter found 5 problems removed and I removed the battery as some sites suggest, but to no avail. Any thoughts?

A:Laptop Hibernates/Sleeps when I don't want it to.

Did you check your Power Options settings in the Control Panel?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/laptop-hibernates-sleeps-when-i-dont-want-it-to-654668.html
Relevancy 39.99%

Hi I keep getting a BSOD while my Sleeps Computer while BSOD computer is sleeping I have tried looking through the reports myself but keep seeing different causes which makes me think maybe its happening when the computer wakes up Any help would be appreciated This started happening after Battle Field I upgraded the graphics card to a GT Ti and added more memory for the game Thought it might be the video drivers so I tried the most current beta build Didn't help the problem I have also replaced the power supply thinking it may had been the issue W I have an HP Pavilion m n with the above upgrades Core Q GB RAM The computer came with Vista bit but I bought a Retail full version of Windows Home Premium bit about a year ago I also ran a memory test from this thread RAM - Test with Memtest I got through runs with no reported errors I know this is some old hardware but I need it to hang on for another months Company Computer Purchase Program I do plan on doing my own build for my next computer

A:BSOD while Computer Sleeps

Proceed with the follwoing steps one at a time and run your system normally after each to see which step resolves the crashes.
Note: If you are overclocking any hardware, stop!

First thing I see that will cause problems is your BIOS is dated prior to Windows 7 existing.

Code:
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 5.13, 10/24/2007
If you give us your motherboard model, we can help you find an update.

Code:

Loading Dump File [C:\Users\Mike\Downloads\BSODDmpFiles\antpman\Ants Report\Windows_NT6_BSOD_jcgriff2\121711-27003-01.dmp]
Mini Kernel Dump File: Only registers and stack trace are available

Symbol search path is: SRV*c:\users\mike\documents\symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols
Executable search path is:
Windows 7 Kernel Version 7601 (Service Pack 1) MP (4 procs) Free x64
Product: WinNt, suite: TerminalServer SingleUserTS Personal
Built by: 7601.17640.amd64fre.win7sp1_gdr.110622-1506
Machine Name:
Kernel base = 0xfffff800`03608000 PsLoadedModuleList = 0xfffff800`0384d670
Debug session time: Sat Dec 17 18:07:27.729 2011 (UTC - 7:00)
System Uptime: 1 days 3:58:52.430
Loading Kernel Symbols
Loading User Symbols
Loading unloaded module list
* Bugcheck Analysis *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck DE, {2, fffff8a012a06810, fffff8a015d8be11, 4d7888c0}

Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt! ?? ::FNODOBFM::`string'+2d8a1 )

Followup: MachineOwner
---------

2: kd> !analyze -v
* Bugcheck Analysis *

POOL_CORRUPTION_IN_FILE_AREA (de)
A driver corrupted pool memory used for holding pages destined for disk.
This was discovered by the memory manager when dereferencing the file.
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000000002
Arg2: fffff8a012a06810
Arg3: fffff8a015d8be11
Arg4: 000000004d7888c0

Debugging Details:
------------------
CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT: 1

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: VISTA_DRIVER_FAULT

BUGCHECK_STR: 0xDE

PROCESS_NAME: System

CURRENT_IRQL: 2

LAST_CONTROL_TRANSFER: from fffff8000363b4bd to fffff80003684c40

STACK_TEXT:
fffff880`0317e2d8 fffff800`0363b4bd : 00000000`000000de 00000000`00000002 fffff8a0`12a06810 fffff8a0`15d8be11 : nt!KeBugCheckEx
fffff880`0317e2e0 fffff800`03653532 : 00000000`00000000 fffffa80`0a3f9300 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 : nt! ?? ::FNODOBFM::`string'+0x2d8a1
fffff880`0317e3d0 fffff880`012879ef : fffffa80`05a13608 fffffa80`0b311e40 00000000`00000000 fffffa80`00000000 : nt!CcPurgeCacheSection+0x172
fffff880`0317e440 fffff880`012b584e : fffffa80`0b311e40 fffff8a0`10fccc70 00000000`00000000 fffff8a0`10fccc01 : Ntfs!NtfsFlushAndPurgeScb+0x1bd
fffff880`0317e4d0 fffff880`012a3fe5 : fffffa80`0b311e40 fffffa80`057b5f20 fffffa80`0638a180 fffff8a0`10fcced8 : Ntfs!NtfsOpenAttribute+0x80e
fffff880`0317e5e0 fffff880`0129fe3b : fffff880`0bfa04a0 fffffa80`0b311e40 fffff8a0`10fcced8 fffff8a0`00000054 : Ntfs!NtfsOpenExistingAttr+0x145
fffff880`0317e6a0 fffff880`012a309f : fffffa80`0b311e40 fffffa80`057b5c10 fffff8a0`10fcced8 fffff880`00000054 : Ntfs!NtfsOpenAttributeInExistingFile+0x5ab
fffff880`0317e... Read more

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/206264-bsod-while-computer-sleeps.html
Relevancy 39.99%

Hello My computer has been randomly crashing after it goes to sleep After sleeps when computer BSOD trying to BSOD when computer sleeps find answers by searching it seems like it may have to do with a driver but I can't understand the dmp files I also cannot open the xml file Attached is the message I get when I start the computer again I tried to attach the dmp and xml files but it says I do BSOD when computer sleeps not have permission when I click BSOD when computer sleeps quot open quot to upload them I am running win x Thanks so much for your help Problem signature Problem Event Name BlueScreen OS Version Locale ID Additional information about the problem BCCode f BCP BCP FFFFFA A A BCP FFFFF D BCP FFFFFA A EAB OS Version Service Pack Product Files that help describe the problem C Windows Minidump - - dmp C Users Frank AppData Local Temp WER- - sysdata xml Read our privacy statement online http go microsoft com fwlink linkid amp clcid x If the online privacy statement is not available please read our privacy statement offline C Windows system en-US erofflps txt

A:BSOD when computer sleeps

We do need the DMP file as it contains the only record of the sequence of events leading up to the crash, what drivers were loaded, and what was responsible.
Please attach the DMP files to your next post not to post one.

If you are overclocking STOP

You may be able to get the DMP files without crashing by booting into safe mode (F8) with networking.

To enable us to assist you with your computer's BSOD symptoms, upload the contents of your "\Windows\Minidump" folder. If empty (or non existent) please look in the following folders. C:\windows (the dmp should be called memory.dmp), and C:\windows\LiveKernelReports\Watchdog.

The procedure:

Quote:
* Copy the contents of \Windows\Minidump to another (temporary) location somewhere on your machine.
* Zip up the copy.
* Attach the ZIP archive to your post using the "paperclip" (file attachments) button.
*If the files are too large please upload them to a file sharing service like "Rapidshare" and put a link to them in your reply.

To ensure minidumps are enabled:

Quote:
* Go to Start, in the Search Box type: sysdm.cpl, press Enter.
* Under the Advanced tab, click on the Startup and Recovery Settings... button.
* Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked.
* Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box (the 256kb varies).
* Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump.
* OK your way out.
* Reboot if changes have been made.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/231191-bsod-when-computer-sleeps.html
Relevancy 39.99%

I have got my computer going to sleep at night and not wakeing . Also my internet is off on my router. only the number where my desktop is connected. I have got to restart the computer to use it. When I do restart it by pushing the button. and starting it everything works normally. I recently went through some malware removal with a tech man and I don't know if I changed anything. Nothing I have checked tells me It is off. If I click to put the computer in sleep from the start button. The same thing happens. computer sleeps router number for the computer goes out and it will not wake without a manual restart. Anyone know whats up? Dan

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/computer-sleeps-and-will-not-wake-522824.html
Relevancy 39.99%

So I enabled hibernate from the cmd console and I've set my advanced power settings so that it will hibernate in 10 minutes. But my computer only goes to sleep. In plan settings it says gives me the scroll options to put the computer to sleep after X minutes, and but no option to hibernate.

Screenie shows my advanced power settings.

A:sleeps, but doesn't hibernate

Hello Fuzzytoad,

If you only want your computer to hibernate, then you can set Sleep to Never. Next leave Hibernate after set for the 10 minutes of computer idle time before it automatically hibernates.

You can also set your Start Menu power button to be Hibernate as well to manually put your computer to hibernate when you like.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/62845-sleeps-but-doesnt-hibernate.html