Windows Support Forum

"Operating system not found" and freezing while playing videos

Q: "Operating system not found" and freezing while playing videos

I have a sony vaio VGN nw350f that keeps freezing while playing online videos and games. When it freezes the sound will keep playing but at a slower, louder, more annoying speed. Sometimes when I restart or turn on the laptop after shutting it off it will tell me "Operating system not found" or just blink _ at me. Don't know if these symptoms are related.

I tried downloading both intel and sony display drivers where at first I was able to install, now when I try to install any of the drivers it says I don't have the right drivers for the right OS.

edit: I have already restored the HDD to factory default.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: "Operating system not found" and freezing while playing videos

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: "Operating system not found" and freezing while playing videos

http://esupport.sony.com/perl/model-home.pl?mdl=VGN-NW350F/B

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/operating-system-not-found-and-freezing-while-playing-videos.174799/
Relevancy 85.56%

I have an old HP Pavilion that I got for free which is having some odd issues Any time I try to boot I get one of these errors first it was always Operating System Not Found now it s Missing Operating System Here are the steps I ve tried so far I tried to boot from a floppy with a disk I know works tried to boot off of the CD Rom Tried disconencting or System" Found" Operating errors... "Missing Not System "Operating everything except Floppy CPU and RAM Tried "Missing Operating System" or "Operating System Not Found" errors... resetting the BIOS by selecting quot Set to Default quot and "Missing Operating System" or "Operating System Not Found" errors... by pulling out the CMOS battery it was after doing this that it switched to the Missing OS error message The hard drive is dectected "Missing Operating System" or "Operating System Not Found" errors... in the BIOS as is the CD Rom and floppy drive It properly recognizes the amount of RAM I am fresh out of ideas even though I m generally pretty good at this If anyone else has any advice it s greatly appreciated nbsp

A:"Missing Operating System" or "Operating System Not Found" errors...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/missing-operating-system-or-operating-system-not-found-errors.211011/
Relevancy 84.01%

I just upgraded from Vista Home Premium to Win7 professional x64 hoping to fix the above mentioned problem. After a complete re-install Im getting the same errors.

Im not sure of the proper terminology here, but during startup the computer does a scan of all hardware and "Volume 0" has a "failed" message.

The odd thing is that sometimes after a few restarts and pointless boot menu visits the computer starts up fine.

I tried windows repair feature by booting from the disk, but when I get to the window where i select the operating system to repair, its empty. Drive C, where the operating system is, is not showing.

I have a feeling that the hard drive itself has gone bad and is very unstable. Please let me know if I'm missing something or we just need to get a new HD.

Thank you

A:Win7 pro startup error "Boot MGR missing"/"Operating System Not Found

What type of hdd do you have. For example if you have a Seagate drive, there is software you can run to do a diagonostic on the hdd before the operating system boots.
This would be a good idea, especially if you were having same issues when Vista Home Premium was installed first.

Do you have more than one hdd installed. If yes, make sure in BIOS settings, the proper drive is selected for First Boot. And better yet make sure its the only drive attached when booting.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/185400-win7-pro-startup-error-boot-mgr-missing-operating-system-not-found.html
Relevancy 109.22%

Hey I had Windows 7 home basic installed on my dell inspiron laptop, and there was only 1 partition (c drive), I think that I deleted something from windows, and now when m switching on the laptop its saying "operating system not found".
Somebody please help me, how can I recover the data on hard drive. Is it possible that data is still present on hdd.
Sorry for my grammer, m not good in english.

A:How to recover data if computer ia showing "no operating system found"

Simply plug the hard drive into another PC, then just copy and paste the data to whatever storage device you have available

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/365061-how-recover-data-if-computer-ia-showing-no-operating-system-found.html
Relevancy 109.22%

I found" Drive "Operating Hard not system BIOS - error? or switched my Fujjitsu-Siemens Amilo li- the other day and was met with the dreaded "Operating system not found" - BIOS or Hard Drive error? operating system not found message I haven t changed anything big recently and it s more or "Operating system not found" - BIOS or Hard Drive error? less been working fine for a long time now I had however just had it in a bag and moved it across town so after reading up I thought maybe something might have come loose inside But I also read that it could be a BIOS problem and after going in there I noticed that under hard drive in main it said None Changing it to auto or user didn t seem to make much difference as it still wouldn t load and would always revert back to none However I also read that if the computer keeps resetting itself to an arbitrary time and date that it can be symptomatic of a CMOS problem my computer had been doing this occasionally for a month or two before this happened I also tried making a windows vista recovery CD and tried to boot off that but still got the same Operating System Not Found message Basically I want to make sure i ve tried everything before I open the case and go poking around inside as I d really have no idea what i m doing but i m hoping it s just a loose wire that will be pretty self-evident when I open it up Any ideas nbsp

Relevancy 109.22%

When i Turn On my laptop , it Shows "Operating System Not Found" ,But If I restart
( by ctrl+alt+del ) everything goes fine...whenever i shutdown my lap and then switching it on it boots slowly and shows "Operating System Not Found" ,But when i restart ,everything goes fine..

What is the problem?

A:Dell Inspiron 1564 "Operating System Not Found" Problem

Make sure the hard disk is properly inserted in the laptop and has not come loose. You will need a screwdriver to remove the hard disk panel to check. That would be the first thing to check. Post back after you have done so and we will provide further steps if needed.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/216186-dell-inspiron-1564-operating-system-not-found-problem.html
Relevancy 109.22%

W7 64bit home premium
500 gb hd
4 gb ram
5i processor
sony vaio

This has happened twice. It started last week while running itunes (playing music) and nothing else. happened again last night, also same scenario.

For no apparent reason (machine is less than a year old) the computer will go to a blank, black screen and the message "operating system not found" will appear. I press and hold the power button to turn it off, I turn it right back on, and it's fine.

I did get a BSOD last night, but itunes wasn't running and I had just connected my GPS running watch through USB. I can't tell if these are related, of course.

I run MS Security Essentials as my only virus protection, and yesterday I ran a Spybot scan which found nothing but a few tracking cookies. If there are log files that someone can point me to, I'm happy to post them.

A:sudden "operating system not found" (but reboot is fine!)

Quote: Originally Posted by superbad

W7 64bit home premium
500 gb hd
4 gb ram
5i processor
sony vaio

This has happened twice. It started last week while running itunes (playing music) and nothing else. happened again last night, also same scenario.

For no apparent reason (machine is less than a year old) the computer will go to a blank, black screen and the message "operating system not found" will appear. I press and hold the power button to turn it off, I turn it right back on, and it's fine.

I did get a BSOD last night, but itunes wasn't running and I had just connected my GPS running watch through USB. I can't tell if these are related, of course.

I run MS Security Essentials as my only virus protection, and yesterday I ran a Spybot scan which found nothing but a few tracking cookies. If there are log files that someone can point me to, I'm happy to post them.

Hello !! Welcome to SF !!

Go to your BIOS setting and check the boot order make sure Hard disk is selected first. I have seen if the boot order is different sometimes we used to have this problem. Make sure your USB is never plugged it while rebooting the System.

Hope this helps,
Captain

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/96517-sudden-operating-system-not-found-but-reboot-fine.html
Relevancy 109.22%

I have an aged P200 (I think) laptop (Gateway 2000) which I kept for my children to play a Win 98 game which won't play on anything newer - Babyz, if you're interested.

The battery is flat and I only play when connected to the mains. However, on the latest turn on I get the message "No operating system found". Anything I can do about this? The laptop has a floppy drive and cd drive.

A:Ancient laptop "no operating system found" problem

It sounds like the hard drive has failed. If you have the Windows 98 and driver installation disks that may have come with the laptop way back when, you could buy a replacement hard drive and reinstall everything and be good to go.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ancient-laptop-no-operating-system-found-problem.122851/
Relevancy 109.22%

Let me recap first of all all of the occurances that may be relevant towards the current issue with my computer Actually let me just start off by saying that I m running a Gateway desktop that s at least years old - probably more There with issue found" "no hard system operating drive and s a sticker on my computer which states quot designed for Windows quot So an old computer Anyway a few weeks or months ago my computer began making odd clicking noises It only seemed to happen when I left my computer on for greater than hours at a time I live in a dorm I think maybe the first time I noticed these noises a portion of the hard drive in question was damaged or erased I recovered the files and issue with hard drive and "no operating system found" began turning my computer off every night and I haven t noticed the noises since Also it should be noted that my computer has two hard drives one which is about GB that contains all my windows and program files and another which is about GB issue with hard drive and "no operating system found" that holds all my miscellaneous media files The latter is issue with hard drive and "no operating system found" the one which was damaged Getting to the point I turned on my computer a few days ago to find a message indicating that quot no operating system was found quot I opened it up just to make sure all the cables were connected and they seemed to be Now I m noticing that Widnows XP only boots up when my media hd isn t connected When it is connected Bios does seem to recognize it but only it and no other drive Such would probably be the reason why quot no operating system was found quot since my operating system runs on a seperate drive no Any clue what s going on And thanks nbsp

A:issue with hard drive and "no operating system found"

Welcome,

Try getting into the Bios and reset the boot order and if you start it up with just the 20gb HDD hooked up what happens?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/issue-with-hard-drive-and-no-operating-system-found.546766/
Relevancy 109.22%

a friend of mine has a sony vaio laptop with windows 8 on it,but she wants windows 7(plus there is a problem with the laptop,the internet eplorer doesnt open,the window opens for half a second and then closes,and no internet-related application works).i first used a boot usb,configured the bios so that it boots from external devices first and then used the assist button on the laptop to make it manually boot from an external device.the message"operating system not found " came up.then i extracted the iso to an external hard drive to boot it form there and the same message came up.i even burned the image to a dvd and made it boot from the optical drive,but the same message came up.what can i do?or is there some hardware problem which also explains the internet applications not opening?thnx in advance

A:"operating system not found" message when trying to install windows 7

It requires disabling Secure Boot first to upgrade a Win8 PC to Win7: UpDowngrade Windows 8 to Windows 7.

Then follow these special steps to install to UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) - Install Windows 7 with - Windows 7 Forums

or Bypass UEFI to Install WIn7.

To understand UEFI better so you can choose, watch this video: Technical Note: UEFI BIOS vs. Legacy BIOS - YouTube

You need a bootable DVD or flash stick installer which is provided in these same steps that will show you how to get and keep a perfect Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7. To use flash stick installer there are also these special steps for UEFI Bootable USB Flash Drive - Create in Windows

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/289146-operating-system-not-found-message-when-trying-install-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 109.22%

Hi I reinstalled windows 8.1 on my Samsung NP530U3C-A10EE. And now the problem this that I can't boot it without usb stick that contains windows installation files. I can boot up windows and remove the usb stick evertything is working perfectly, but if I try to boot up win without usb, it gives error "Operating system not found. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart". VOLUME C:\ is one where windows are installed (SSD), System Reserved is the system partition that windows create automaticaly (SSD), volumes D:\ and F:\ are my hdd volumes D:\ is empty & F:\ is stored with my personal files (photos, music etc.)

P.S if i make C:\ active I can't boot up even with usb stick plugged in...
Maybe someone knows the solution? Thanks for responses.

A:Windows 8.1 boot error "Operating system not found"

You can try from Admin command prompt:
diskpart -> select disk 0 -> select par 1 -> inactive -> exitbcdboot C:\Windowsshutdownswap the cables between disk 0 and disk 1. (Make your Windows to be disk 0)From BIOS, set boot priority to this disk 0Reboot without the USB connected.

Hope this helps !!!

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/54453-windows-8-1-boot-error-operating-system-not-found.html
Relevancy 109.22%

Looking at my grandson's ZE4200. About a month ago problems started. And then about a week ago stopped booting up. Messages are:
1. PXE-E61 Media test failure
2. Operating System not found

Removed HD and blew inside to make sure no dust, etc. Also, made sure not loose. No evidence of spillage. Looked fine.

Relevancy 109.22%

Hi everyone I have an HP Pavilion DV exact model is DV ej - only sold in Israel running Windows Vista Home Premium The notebook is years old and yesterday when i turned it on after the battery died out it displayed a black screen with the message quot no operating system found quot right after displaying the hp logo message "no system Options operating - found" DV6 Pavilion Since then i used the F key to run the SELF-TEST for the HDD and after a quick check it displayed the error message quot - Replace Hard Disk quot The notebooke s CD DVD drive does not work so i used a bootable DOK USB to run the Vista Recovey CD not the installation cd and tried to use all of the recovey options with no avail i also used the command prompt to enter bootrec commands i read in some thread but non of them worked returning SUCCESSFUL for fixmbr fixboot and for RebuildBcd returning quot Pavilion DV6 - "no operating system found" message Options successfully scanned windows installations Total identified windows installations The operation completed successfully quot Then i tried running Hiren s bootCD which contains many testing software and ran the Seagate SeaTools HDD Test for dos which after a couple of seconds returned a Failed message I also ran Western Digital HDD diagnostic test and a after a couple of seconds it returned quot Too many errors found quot or something like that I tried entering safemode by pressing the F key on bootup but nothing happens And when i got my hands on a Vista Installation CD using DOK USB to load i tried doing the same recovery steps i did with the Vista Recovey Disk and got the same results now when i try to boot the notebook it just restarts continually after the hp bootup logo without displaying the quot no operating system found quot message Is there anything else i can do or is my HDD surely dead another note as mentioned earlier this happened right after the battery died out while notebook was on so maybe it could be some kind of weird battery problem edit also the battery doesnt seem to be able to charge anymore and whenever i unplug the charger the notebook shuts down Thanks a lot for all the help Doron nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/pavilion-dv6-no-operating-system-found-message-options.1020163/
Relevancy 109.22%

My laptop is a SONY VAIO - VGN-NS255D

Anyone know how to fix this?

A:"Operating System Not Found" Error - Windows 7 (x64 bit) 4GB Memory

Did you make /have the OEM manufacturers system repair disk ?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/213671-operating-system-not-found-error-windows-7-x64-bit-4gb-memory.html
Relevancy 109.22%

hello everyone. I have an HP zv6000 laptop that's probably 4-5 years old. I attempted to use it today and I got that message stating the OS cannot be found or is corrupt. I last used it the other day just to pay some bills and nothing else. I removed the HD and put it back in. I've tried to open safe mode with nothing more than just the HP screen coming up then that message. Anyone else have ideas? I've got a ridiculous amount of information on there and I'm pretty much fearing I've lost it all....

A:Message saying "windows operating system cannot be found or is corrupt."

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/message-saying-windows-operating-system-cannot-be-found-or-is-corrupt.871685/
Relevancy 108.79%

Sat watching SkyGo and the screen freezes I couldn't click anything or restart the computer I powered down and when I turned it on I get a black screen with operating system not found I have read a few threads with support but I am really struggling to follow them A few bit of information that will help though from what I have read I don't have a windows disk it came already installed I have downloaded partition wizard bootable CD as suggested in another thread but not Vaio Black screen- "operating system Sony found" VPCEH I don't know how to boot it up on my broken machine The disk doesn't read I still get the black screen I'm resigned to the fact that I will probably lose all my data and need a new hard drive but I'm willing to try everything and anything before going down that route as I really can't afford to buy anything for a month or so and my laptop is essential to my job Please help and be as condescending and patronising as possible I'm not ashamed to admit I'm way out of my depth here Thanks

A:Black screen- "operating system not found" Sony Vaio VPCEH

Oh and when I f2 it on start up the screen says Hard Disk Drive- None

Has it completely gone?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/320817-black-screen-operating-system-not-found-sony-vaio-vpceh.html
Relevancy 108.79%

My friend's hard drive in his Sony EMERGENCY- Found" Sony Not Vaio System "Operating (friend's drive!) Vaio was riddled with viruses malware rootkits you name it I just had this hard drive in amp out of my rig for the past couple days I got it all set up fine albeit with Win XP MCE only installed my ethernet driver and was all set to put it back in his laptop This happened once amp I figured it was a glitch so I took it back out into the rig redid all I'd done and took a system image of the drive Now I've put it back in the laptop and AGAIN-- Vaio logo then straight to black screen quot Operating System Not Found quot I promised him an absolutely no-cost no-risk wipe in exchange for him getting me a job and now this Physically the drive is fine It passed a disk EMERGENCY- Sony Vaio "Operating System Not Found" (friend's drive!) check yesterday and no clicking ever The optical drive won't read my Dell EMERGENCY- Sony Vaio "Operating System Not Found" (friend's drive!) OEM Win XP MCE disc so I popped in my Win disc to at least do a startup repair It reports no operating EMERGENCY- Sony Vaio "Operating System Not Found" (friend's drive!) systems installed but is that just cuz there's no win installed I'm copying that system image over to my external to try that right now Can I use the system image of XP with the disc AND WHAT ELSE CAN I DO

A:EMERGENCY- Sony Vaio "Operating System Not Found" (friend's drive!)

Your friend's computer came to you what OS installed?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/190454-emergency-sony-vaio-operating-system-not-found-friends-drive.html
Relevancy 108.79%

This is a client's pc.SONY VAIO All In One VPCL21AFX/B
recvd a "Operating System Not Found" error msg when starting after normal shutdown
rebooted w/o external devices, same error
F8 didn't work
F12 put it into a Sony repair menu Esc'd out to Win menu
Command Line "bootrec.exe /fixmbr" - successful
reboot "Operating System Not Found" error
ran Sony Data Rescue to save data files on external drive and got nothing but empty directories
pulled HD and looked at it as an external on another machine - there are no data files
???
the Sony recovery utility will restore a factory load but delete all data
Where did the data files go? They were all there the night before.

A:Sony Vaio Win7 "Operating System Not Found" - missing data files

Is the HD detected in BIOS setup?

Try running a few Startup Repairs from DVD or Repair CD, which automate all repair commands, tests and fixes.

To take a look at the state of the partitions use Partition Wizard bootable CD.
Post back a camera snap if possible so we can look it over. You can scan for missing partitions using Partition Wizard Partition Recovery Wizard - Video Help. I would also run
Partition Wizard Check File System and Partition Wizard Partition surface test to check HD condition.

You can rescue files as shown in Step 3 of Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7 then get the superior Clean Reinstall without the factory bloatware which is the worst possible Win7 install.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/280758-sony-vaio-win7-operating-system-not-found-missing-data-files.html
Relevancy 108.36%

Was given a Compaq Presario notebook PC but on startup get this message on a black screen quot Operating System not found quot The following is what I ve tried and the results Win Bootup Disk results quot Win has detected that drive C does not contain a valid FAT or notebook "Operating System Presario1685 found." not on a FAT partition FDISK quot No fixed disks present quot Win Setup results quot Cannot create a temporary directory If you have HPFS or NTFS installed on your hard drive you will need to create an MS-DOS boot partition to set up Windows quot MS-DOS Bootdisk results FDISK quot No fixed disks present quot The previous owner claims she was in the middle of browsing when computer froze and upon restart began receiving the quot Operating System not found quot I m trying to save the data on the hard drive Does anyone "Operating System not found." on a Presario1685 notebook know any way to bring this one back to life w out swapping out the hard drive nbsp

Relevancy 108.36%

I recently purchased some new hardware in an attempt to upgrade my system I m error Found" System "No Operating woes... having trouble getting to the fdisk utility to format the TWO brand new Western Digital GIG RPM MB drives I have Whenever I "No Operating System Found" error woes... start the computer off of the Windows startup disk or any other startup disk I have it gives the error quot No Operating System Found quot I m using the two "No Operating System Found" error woes... GIG "No Operating System Found" error woes... drives in an ATA-RAID- configuration on the Motherboards single IDE- RAID channel Also supports S-ATA S-ATA RAID I have used the built-in RAID building utility and created an array with the two drives but they still need to be fdisk ed and formatted to complete the process This is where I am stuck because I cannot boot to the A prompt because of the quot No Operating System Found quot message I insert the Win Boot disk and press F to select boot device I select Floppy and bam error message If anyone has any ideas on what I can do or a different startup disk please post I have tried booting from the WinXP cd to no avail - It says there are no Hard drives present probably cause they ain t formatted Hardware as follows MSI PE Neo Series MS- v x ATX MB x MB RAM P Ghz Geforce Ti x GIG WD RPM MB nbsp

A:"No Operating System Found" error woes...

You should be able to install WinXP on those HDs without formatting them. I am not familiar with a RAID setup, but could you install XP on one of the HDs and configure your RAID after the installation. I'm thinking there is a problem with your configuration and the HDs aren't getting recognized by the system. (I've been meaning to try a RAID setup on my other computer, just haven't had the time.)
HTH

B

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/no-operating-system-found-error-woes.140583/
Relevancy 108.36%

Hi It all started with a strange error message in XP SP without having done anything in the SW I rebooted and it said a file was missing or corrupt cannot boot keep rebooting I checked the RAM tested it no problem I removed the drive checked carefully with a diagnostic tool from Hitachi and no errors at all I was able to copy the whole drive for backup no issue I reloaded the BIOS plugged the HDD into the laptop after I formatted it F to access the BIOS the HDD is detected But quot Operating System Not Found quot appears during the boot lt HINT gt after this message if I remove the drive and insert it again no more quot Operating System Not Found quot the next time I boot I installed a fresh XP SP on the freshly formatted HDD I can use all the functions but get several BSOD fix "Operating Not laptop. with issue it... Cannot Found" System at times related to pagemgr sys or "Operating System Not Found" issue with laptop. Cannot fix it... ftdisk sys or others rebooting quot Operating System Not Found quot Remove reinsert the HDD and I can boot and use XP for a while until the next BSOD and quot Operating System not found quot during reboot A checkdisk before XP is loaded will always show some errors deleting replacing orphans However I came to the conclusion that it is not HDD related btw it s only months old HDD but more likely linked to the board Maybe I m wrong but I tried so many things in vain Even using the XP CD with Recovery Console sometimes cannot show the C drive Not shown in the Map It means that the laptop sometimes looses the detection of the HDD isn t it gt But where is the issue I seldom move the laptop didn t get any shock I guess the motherboard must be inspected It s an Samsung P from Dec and it never failed before I search the net for similar issues and couldn t find further helpful threads So I decided to post this Thanks for any tips - nbsp

A:"Operating System Not Found" issue with laptop. Cannot fix it...

Hi Blackyblack,

Is it possible that you are either downloading bad software or visiting bad web sites that could be infecting your HDD and causing the C: drive to make your O/S invisible?

Recommend you download/install/run Malwarebytes from my Signature.
Be sure to run the Update function before each use.

At the end of Malwarebytes run, it will produce a report.
Please paste that report to your reply.

Thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/operating-system-not-found-issue-with-laptop-cannot-fix-it.807155/
Relevancy 108.36%

Hi My husband amp I bought our son a Toshiba Satellite A Laptop w Vista Christmases ago He has had virtually no trouble with this machine until weeks ago He pretty much leaves it on with no problems to my surprise but the other day he came back to find the quot No Operating System Found quot displayed After a length of time we vista computer Operating System "No Found" 2 X came to the conclusion that the Hard Drive was the issue so vista computer "No Operating System Found" X 2 we replaced it It worked like a charm until last night that is To our dismay the quot No Operating System Found quot display is back So if it vista computer "No Operating System Found" X 2 isn t the hard drive what could it be Some things to consider are he has not downloaded anything new recently and has a AVG Free as his antivirus with Advance System Care and Smart Defrag for upkeep None of these are new and he has not experienced any compatibility issues with them There were no advanced warnings to the problem but afterward there was some clicking We were able to get into BIOS to see that the hard drive was not showing up We tried using the recovery disc to reinstall windows but it would only start up the process it would not complete the action until we replaced the hard drive all together I do not know if we have the recovery disc OR the actual Windows OS disc Display reads as follows PXE-E Media test failure check cable PXE-M F Exiting PXE ROM Operating System not found THANK YOU FOR ANY LIGHT YOU CAN SHED ON THIS PROBLEM nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-computer-no-operating-system-found-x-2.826283/
Relevancy 108.36%

Dear sir,
Since 5 days,I am getting "Error 1962 - No operating system found" message
at the booing of my IBM Computer Model No. 8175 KQU,Intel Mother board
No. D865GKD with Genuine version of Win XP-SP3.and SATA HD.
. The local technician has removed the SATA cable from one port and refixed
in another port of the motherboard. But no results. The same message is being
displayed at the booting.
But surprisingly, when I try to reboot the machine for 3-4 times then suddenly
it boots normally.
Please help me to fix this problem. Thank you.
Sincerely yours,
nkrao

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/error-1962-no-operating-system-found.958225/
Relevancy 108.36%

I have a Dell XPS 420 and I've just bought an SSD for it. Every time I boot the machine I see "Operating system wasn't found" now, despite having booted into Windows successfully just before.

The only change I made was connecting a standard SATA 2TB drive - which it boots into fine - but now when I have removed the 2TB drive I cannot boot onto the SSD.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

A:"Operating system wasn't found" DELL XPS 420

Hi there

a) Is the machine UEFI or not
b) how did you copy the OS on to the SSD.
c) How are the disks formatted - MBR or GPT.
d) (Should really be at the top so question -z !!) what OS are you using.

Usually with these computers there's a BOOT menu you can get to from the BIOS - you don't need to go into the full BIOS - there's often something like ALT + F9 to get into a boot menu. Here there's often more disks than you will see in the BIOS settings -- you'll see things like UEFI file.

As a starter try and insert a windows install / recovery disk -boot from that and choose REPAIR windows. If you don't have a dvd device there's plenty of ways of writing the install / recovery system to a USB.

We need more info before proceeding here.

Cheers
jimbo

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/43650-operating-system-wasnt-found-dell-xps-420-a.html
Relevancy 108.36%

Hi New to the forums though I've been coming here for years when searching for various Windows problems First I tried downloading the quot DM Log Collector quot before posting but keep getting an error on that page and it won't display But here's my question problem I'm working with an older ThinkCentre Windows Pro x gb The system had been running fine till a week ago Suddenly it started coming up with a quot No Operating System Found quot message while sitting at the desktop The system boots fine and I can run commands utilities and programs but if Operating "No Found" message... Non System standard it sits at the desktop for - minutes it will suddenly come Non standard "No Operating System Found" message... up with that message and require a reboot I've run quot chkdsk c f r quot multiple times and everything checks out Under drive management the system partition is active and healthy and the drive partition is healthy Everything in BIOS looks good Basically everything checks out good for all standard tests And as I said it boots fine with no issues to the desktop The error doesn't seem to happen Non standard "No Operating System Found" message... when performing any function on the system only when sitting idle at the desktop I've fixed a lot of BSOD's over the years but this is different Just wondered if anyone else has ever run into this I couldn't find anything searching Thanks

A:Non standard "No Operating System Found" message...

Have you looked at Event Viewer to see if there are any errors ?
Are you familiar with MS Sysinternals Process Monitor to see if that can capture what happens before the error ?
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...processmonitor

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/397563-non-standard-no-operating-system-found-message.html
Relevancy 107.5%

I have two IBM Thinkpad T40 laptops and both are coming up "No Operating System Found" when I try to boot. Everything was running fine with both machines, #1 laptop al of a sudden came up with the error when I tried to use the machine, didn't change a thing. I tried a brand new HD and tried to install Xp, says "Can't find any hard drives". Ok, I pulled the HD and put it in #2 laptop which was running fine, now same thing with #2 even with it's original drive "No oper sys found". Both HD's are recognized and work in my dell so can't be anything wrong with them. Tried a brand new HD in #1 and #2, will take the Xp CD and go as far as "No HD's found" Help!! Thanks!

A:Thinkpad T40 "No Operating System Found"

Seems like the hard drives aren't getting power. If this were a desktop, I would say change the power supply. If your laptops aren't on batteries, and using just the AC adapter, then I would change the adapter.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/thinkpad-t40-no-operating-system-found.962390/
Relevancy 107.5%

on a friends Compaq Presario Laptop. This occurs when you turn it on, and when you try to load the ME Operating system. The CD and floppy seem to be working as far as I can tell, but you get the above message on the screen and can't do much more...any ideas? thanks

Relevancy 107.5%

I reimaged a laptop to test out Kleo Bare Metal Backup.

after imaging I get the error "operating system not found"

I work in IT so I'm surprised I haven't been able to find a solution online, but 20 minutes of googling is all I am willing to spend.

I have tried:
fixmbr
fixboot
bootcfg /rebuild

I'd love to not have to reinstall XP Pro and all the updates.

Thanks

A:XP Pro "Operating System Not Found" After ReImage

Have you checked what is on the disk by connecting it to another computer? Did you clone to a new drive or back on to the original?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/xp-pro-operating-system-not-found-after-reimage-497852.html
Relevancy 107.5%

This computer was bought a couple of months ago used It s a six year old HP Vectra VL xxx Series Have Norton Many problems getting worse Sometimes can t get to Windows Message need and plus Edo down, no Found" System Not shutting "Operating Ram Operating System Not Found Other times I see the Windows Opening banner page then it freezes and just stays there Sometimes the banner page "Operating System Not Found" and no shutting down, plus need Edo Ram does it when I try to shut down following the usual Start Menu Shut Down sequence Also at times Windows banner page on startup and message Data Error Reading Drive C abort etc Just clicking sound when I try various things with the keyboard There s more but I m going to try to return the computer So here s a question The store is open on Tues and today is Sunday How can I "Operating System Not Found" and no shutting down, plus need Edo Ram get to Windows with an A prompt Also how do I get to Windows with message like quot Use Command Interpreter quot I can get a C prompt but have tried various methods like typing when it will let me type Win WINDOWS Win etc Sometimes it responds with I think C gt Sony which is my monitor So I just keep having to turn the computer off Also I was told the computer had Windows when I bought it I have Mgs Ram but HP told me my type of Ram is obsolete and they don t make it any more It s pin Edo Simms Very expensive I called around And I read on one of the posts on this site that you need even more than Mgs with Windows For a while I had to disable Autoprotect before shutting down or the computer would just freeze everytime I uninstalled RealPlayer and now can leave Autoprotect on Also I have to have my Norton settings lower than they suggest because of messages saying quot Virus-Like Activity quot and then says such and such a file ending in exe is trying to write to such and such a file or program ending in ini There s more but I m just tired I ve learned a lot from reading your postings Even Norton s online discussion postings and answers couldn t help me They want me to call the company per quot episode quot I just got the computer P S I can t find Bios in my help file Want to disagle plug and play because someone suggested it solves some Windows problems posting on this site Any thoughts from anyone out there as to what I should say when I try to return the computer to get a more updatede one would be helpful Also after so much time spent trying to figure out these problems I d love some kind of answer so I haven t failed completely in all these efforts Thanks I need to know how to get back in with A prompt also C prompt because mostly I cant get to Windows anymore and want to read any suggestions or thoughts you guys have before I go back to computer store I m past the day warranty period That s why I need your help on how to deal with this Thanks again Anyone who has the patience to read this all is a saint Guess I ve been feeling alone with this and way over my head nbsp

A:"Operating System Not Found" and no shutting down, plus need Edo Ram

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/operating-system-not-found-and-no-shutting-down-plus-need-edo-ram.41990/
Relevancy 107.5%

I ve been running windows xp sp on my sony vaio frv laptop for well months I think It s "no operating found" sp2 laptop xp on system been awhile Anyway just yesterday I m sitting in my living room and I hear the beeping noise my laptop makes when it s trying to boot my number key is permantly stuck down and I have to hit escape to let it boot I hit escape get "no operating system found" xp sp2 on laptop the flash screen for about forever and get quot no operating system found "no operating system found" xp sp2 on laptop quot I haven t even touched my laptop in days I think the last time I used it was sometime last week to play a game I just haven t needed it lately My version of XP is an OEM full professional version I ve got my hard drive partitioned into g sections with nothing but programs I rarely use on the second partition I ve got two firewalls running at all times the windows firewall and norton internet security and I do virus scans every week no problems there last time I checked I have auto update turned off because I don t like my computer to install things without me knowing about it It had no reason to reboot in the first place and now I can t understand why it won t find my os BIOS shows that everything is fine and dandy I discharged the battery per Sony s instructions and set all BIOS settings to default not that I had changed anything in the first place - I generally don t mess with laptop settings So I m going to try to reinstall xp here in a few days I don t have time right now got some major stuff coming up over the weekend to prepare for What happened in the first place I ve only had the damned thing for six months it was my primary system while getting my desktop rebuilt but lately I think I ve used it maybe once a week Thanks for any input appreciated COLOR nbsp

A:"no operating system found" xp sp2 on laptop

Welcome to TSG.

You Might want to take a look at Method 2: Use Recovery Console.

I would try FIXMBR.

As to why it won't boot, your guess is as good as mine. I have a 9yr old and a 15 yr old I can blame such problems on, with good reason.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/no-operating-system-found-xp-sp2-on-laptop.287126/
Relevancy 107.5%

Hi all,

I need help for my Compaq Laptop problem. This just happened last night when I play on the internet, suddently my laptop freezing then I shut down. After that, "operating system not found". I use Window XP proffesional service pack 2 and my compaq type is compaq presario 1700

I have tried the following ways:
- Press f8 to go to safe mode - not working
- Press f10 to go to Bios configuration - dont have option to check the HDD status
- Tried booting using window xp cd, it works but it said "there is no hdd found, make sure it powered on" when i want to format or repair my window ....is that means my HDD really dead?

Is there any other steps I can do to recover my data on the Harddrive? I am so bad luck .....

Relevancy 107.5%

is the message I got when trying to boot up today. I had been away for a week and suspect that the teens were "messing" on my pc. I pressed Ctrl, Alt, Del and am at Compaq Computer Corporation Setup Utility - Main, Storage, Security, Advanced etc but don't know where to go from here. Can anybody help please? Much appreciated. My system is XP.

Relevancy 107.5%

posts Major trouble with re-installing Windows Hello everyone I am new to this Windows Forum I have a Sony Vaio laptop which I Not System Found" "Operating error did not originally purchase but traded for my iPod touch This Vaio has a Windows Vista sticker but the man I got it from told me he installed Windows Ultimate on it He did not tell me that it was a Release Candidate version I found that out after hours of using this PC when it suddenly restarted After June it began notifying me of the RC issue it being expired So this "Operating System Not Found" error week I finally decided to get rid of the RC version I purchased a new Windows Ultimate package and downloaded KillDisk Active Kill Disk Hard Drive Eraser Low Level Format to swipe my hard drive clean I burnt KillDisk onto a DVD and ran the program which was successful Afterwards I bought a new Windows Ultimate package tried to run the DVD but it now gives me the error quot Operating System Not Found quot The BIOS on this Vaio model does not have a whole lot of settings to change so what do I do

A:"Operating System Not Found" error

You need to set your BIOS to DVD drive first boot.

Take a look at these posts:

http://www.sevenforums.com/installat...-problems.html
Tutorial quick reference list for Installing Windows 7
Questions to use for help with Installation Issues
Clean Install with a Upgrade Windows 7 Version
Clean Install Windows 7
USB Windows 7 Installation Key Drive - Create

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/93169-operating-system-not-found-error.html
Relevancy 107.5%

Hi I have an HP Pavilion ze notebook computer that was just purchased on November th From the get go it has been displaying the message quot Operating System not Found quot when I try to boot up my I'm at Found" "Operating wits System end!!! not Sometimes I would have to turn it off and on several times for it to boot up but sometimes that wouldn t work Usually I would have to boot up from the Recovery CD Well anyway after dealing with the system BIOS settings boot order and whatnot and repairing the OS twice I decided to contact HP support They instructed me to delete the partition on the hard drive format it and re-install Windows XP Okay did that and proceeded to lose everything that was pre-installed on the notebook including the wireless capabilities the SOUND and I'm at my wits end!!! "Operating System not Found" video driver the modem drivers everything And for some strange reason none of those drivers are on the recovery CD So basically the thing is now a I'm at my wits end!!! "Operating System not Found" peice of dead weight Well I decided that I would just make the best of it and see what I could do to get it reinstalled Until this morning when I turned it on again guess what happened OPERATING SYSTEM NOT FOUND So I lost everything that I loved and needed from the notebook for nothing because the problem is still there Someone please please PLEASE help me before I go absolutely insane and smash the thing to peices nbsp

A:I'm at my wits end!!! "Operating System not Found"

This definitely looks to be a hardware problem. You should return the notebook and get it replaced.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/im-at-my-wits-end-operating-system-not-found.310268/
Relevancy 107.5%

Hello. In about 6 months ago I encountered a major problem with my laptop (Fujitsu Siemens Amilo) as it would not start. The message I get is, in its entirety:

"For Realtek RT8101E 10/100 PCI-Express Ethernet Adapter v1.03 (070618)
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.
Operating System not found"

Is there a free solution solution to this? I have researched about this problem and found that you may need a new HDD? And IF I hand the ****er in to some Computer-fixy repair-thing and put in a new harddrive, will it work later? I mean, is it a 100 % certain that it is the HDD that's ****ed-up, getting a new will solve the problem? I'm a poor student I would go on to a school massacre rampage if I would have paid $100 and when I get home, it still shows the same ****.

Very much thanks in advance.

A:Please help, "operating system not found", can i buy new harddrive?

Try checking the boot order under the bios option, make sure that it is set to boot hard drive first.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/please-help-operating-system-not-found-can-i-buy-new-harddrive.889500/
Relevancy 107.5%
A:When I turn on my pc it says "operating system not found" how do I fix this

Hello Claky, plase post more info, like your specs, when this started to happion, how old is your comuter, and what os were you running

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/when-i-turn-on-my-pc-it-says-operating-system-not-found-how-do-i-fix-this.40187/
Relevancy 107.5%

Hello,

I've been googling what seems to be a pretty common problem. So, I had this problem too, but after attempting to turn on the computer for the 4th time, it started up. I do not have the Southbridge chipset. I have System Drive C, and 4 backup drives hooked up. Most of the work on the computer is Photoshop work.

Now I'm afraid of turning it off, in case the same thing happens. Any suggestions or ideas so I dont see that screen again?

Thanks everyone

A:"Operating System Not Found" error

What do you think happened? New software, trying to tweek the system, going to dangerous websites?

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/282634-operating-system-not-found-error.html
Relevancy 107.5%

Hi everyone.

On Saturday my laptop died, it now gives the message "Operating System not found". I tried to reinstall Vista from the DVDs, but when I tried this there were no partitions loading up to install Windows to. I had a C drive and a D drive which were hard disk drives, Vista was installed onto C but now they have disappeared.

I know a little about computers but I'm not an expert. I'm assuming that my hard drive has failed, and when I was messing around with settings to try and get Vista to load up I did see the text "No hard drive". But is there any way of recovering the files which were on the hard drive? Or are they lost forever? Can I reinstall Windows? I'm so confused and don't know what to do!

Many thanks!

A:"Operating system not found" error

Originally Posted by TheViewer

Hi everyone.

On Saturday my laptop died, it now gives the message "Operating System not found". I tried to reinstall Vista from the DVDs, but when I tried this there were no partitions loading up to install Windows to. I had a C drive and a D drive which were hard disk drives, Vista was installed onto C but now they have disappeared.

I know a little about computers but I'm not an expert. I'm assuming that my hard drive has failed, and when I was messing around with settings to try and get Vista to load up I did see the text "No hard drive". But is there any way of recovering the files which were on the hard drive? Or are they lost forever? Can I reinstall Windows? I'm so confused and don't know what to do!

Many thanks!

Right the same thing happend to me and i was gutted, I did something un-necerssery and re-installed windows, all you have to do is access the boot options menu when you turn your computer on keep pressing F8 until the boot options menu appears, by using the arrow keys on the keyboard select boot for hard drive (HDD) something like that anyway, please report back on that and if it works then I can tell you the soulution to make it so you do not have to do that every time you turn your computer on,

Thanks
Jamie

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/238507-operating-system-not-found-error.html
Relevancy 107.5%

Hi,

Just today my father wanted to sync his computer to his TV when something went wrong. We had a cable for syncing PC with TV and both of them had that output so their were no problem connecting the cable. But then we didn't find the computer screen on the TV so after a while we waited and then it started smell burn. My father took of the cables from both endes and shut off the PC but the fan continued running. After like 10 minutes we started the computer again and it became all black and it said something about "Operating System Not Found".

What can we do to fix this? Quick reply pls

A:Heated PC "Operating System Not Found"

Not sure what happened, but something obviously burned up on the PC.
Was the cable specifically designed for syncing the TV with the PC?
What sort of TV is this? I am assuming it is a PC itself, and can connect to the internet.

This is a shot in the dark, but I have an idea:
There is a wiring problem with the outlet to which the TV is connected, and this caused current to flow between the TV and the PC, which in turn burned out your motherboard, hard, drive, or both.

Do you ever get a shock from the TV when you are connecting / disconnecting cables (cable, satellite, etc)?

Again; this is just a hunch, because I have a lot of experience with wiring and electricity, and have encountered some very strange stuff that causes TV and PC to burn up.

FW

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/heated-pc-operating-system-not-found.138844/
Relevancy 107.5%

For about a week now, whenever I turn on my Compaq Presario V3000 laptop, it'll stay at the Compaq screen for about 10 seconds, then go onto the flashing underscore. Occasionally, it'll flash "Operating System not found." If I press enter or anything, it'll flash the same thing.

Also, occasionally, it will not boot up whatsoever, and will just show a black screen with the blue keyboard lights on.

After about 15-20 tries, it'll boot up normally; I think it may be that it needs to stay plugged in for about 10 minutes before it'll load, but I haven't tested the theory often enough to know if that's the problem.

Any ideas on what may be causing the problem?

A:"Operating System not found" at startup.

and welcome to the Forum

I'd start with running diagnostics on the hard drive ( click here )

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/operating-system-not-found-at-startup-363147.html
Relevancy 107.5%

Hi
I have a Samsung V25 Laptop running Home Edition
Today I put it on stand by and opened the lid and hit the power button to bring it out of stand by about 20 minutes later and it rebooted (it has done this before as it sometimes reboots when not connected to power. Any way It reebooted and the Samsung Screen comes up and then a small flashing dash in the top left then "opertaing system not found" message comes up I fully charged it and checked the hdd appears in the BIOS and it does and have tried booting with power cable attached and everything

any ideas as to whats wrong (I CANT lose any of the data!!!)
and yes, before you ask I am an idiot and have no backups

please help me!!!
Thanks
Ryan

Relevancy 105.35%

I Have Acquired A Compaq Presario 700 Laptop. I Have Installed Multiple HDDs, Many With Active OS's Which I Am Positive Are Working, And I Always Get The Code "No Operating System Found". I Even Go To Use WipeDrive Or Install Windows And It Will Not Recognize The HDD. Anyone Else Have Similar Problems? Is This A Simple Cable/Contact Problem Or A

Relevancy 105.35%

Yep it s the big one Either my hard drive is dead or something major has been screwed up A family member had been browsing the web when a blue error screen popped up and since then I ve "Operating Found" not System been getting the quot Operating System not Found quot messag whenever I attempt to restart So I have two goals- recover some files if possible needed for work school and get the computer functional again I m not hopeful "Operating System not Found" that I ll get either I found this while researching methods http www ultimatebootcd com But while reading through the included tools and abilities I realized I m way in over my head here I know nothing about copying files recovering files or hard drives or anything of that nature Most of the files I want to recover are just Microsoft Word files The computer has a floppy drive a CD-RW drive and a USB port for a thumb drive I own It used to run Windows SE but was running Windows just before this crash Any help that could be provied would be very much appreciated I thank you for your time and assistance nbsp

Relevancy 105.35%

Hi Everyone- I was wondering if Not System Found" "Operating someone might be "Operating System Not Found" able to shed some light on a little problem I been having with an HP Pavilion Laptop I m so tired of calling HP phone support and having them run me through the same process over and over again only to have this problem repeat itself Sometimes my laptop works well However there are many times where upon turning it on it will never boot to any screen at all The screen will just remain black Other times the HP screen will come up but rather than proceed to the windows xp load screen the display will simply flash a blinking white cursor on a black screen Finally another thing I ve also seen is that same blinking cursor with the message operating system not found sometimes flashing between cursor blinks They HP have offered me the following solutions All of which didn t solve the problem Hold the power button for approximately minute with nothing connected to laptop Not sure exactly what this accomplishes Unscrew hard drive from bottom of laptop and then screw back in I guess they called this proceduring re-seeding the hard drive Run a check on the hard drive from the setup menu by hitting f I believe before the computer loads The quick test ran fine During the comprehensive test the Laptop simply will shutoff everytime the test gets to complete Can this be a hardware issue even though my laptop loads sucessfully sometimes I just wish I didn t have this problem nbsp

A:"Operating System Not Found"

- Test the system RAM with Memtest86(+)
- Test the hard drive with the proper utility supplied by the drive maker.

In addition to a component failure (RAM or HD itself very likely), it could be a bad contact between the hard drive and the controller. (This is probably what HP wanted to fix with removing the hard drive and putting it back.) When you carry your open laptop holding it only from one lower corner, you put a lot of stress on the chassis and sometimes it is enough to damage connectors on the motherboard. Such a bad connection would explain the intermittency of the issue.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/operating-system-not-found.89515/
Relevancy 105.35%

ok here's the deal...i turned on my computer and my hewlard packart(sp) logo loads up..but after that everything stops and im left with
"press f1 to setup" and "press f2 to resume" when i press f1 i get the bios screen asking for a password..but i dont know what it is because i was never givin a password for it..so when i press f2 this comes up "operating system not found" i called the techs and they told me to press f10 for system recovery..but when i press it..i get this beepin noise constantly..and nothing happens....is my hard drive gone and i have to get another one..or is there some way i can fix it?

A:"Operating system not found" help me please

Welcome illestshorty101.............:D

How old is this computer?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/operating-system-not-found-help-me-please-6883.html
Relevancy 105.35%

Ok, so i dropped my laptop a few days ago and the screen went black and wouldn't turn on. So i sent it to a pc repair fella near where i live and he told me there were two issues, one involving the power and the other was to do with something inside.

So we got it back a few hours and ago but there is no operating system. It had xp built in but now it's gone. The packard bell sign came up but after that the message is get is "Operating system was not found".

Has the repair man fiddled me about? i really don't wanna fork out 150 or so to get xp back.

By the way, the xp prudcut key is on the underside of the latop if that makes any difference.

Relevancy 105.35%

My brother's laptop (HP Pavilion DV6000) was running fine until he left it on for a bit and when he came back the screen was blank and it said "Operating System Not Found". He is running Windows XP Media Center Edition.

The hard drive is operational because I took it out and put it in another laptop and it worked.

I've tried booting from a boot disk and the system recovery CD's, but it is telling me that no harddrive is found. I know this to be true because I went into the system BIOS and no hard drive was there.

So, the hard drive is unable to be found for some reason. Any ideas?

Relevancy 105.35%

Hello Friends,

I have HP dv series laptop with windows vista. My laptop was working fine until yesterday. I don't remember installing any hardware or software yesterday.

However today when I started my laptop it blanked out with a message "Operating System Not Found".

I tried pressing F11 ( system recovery) as soon as I start the laptop but it didn't help.

I don't have a windows cd. Is there any way I can fix this problem? Any ideas ?

and welcome to the Forum

I would run diagnostics on the hard drive

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

See this for how to make a bootable cd

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/operating-system-not-found-494388.html
Relevancy 105.35%

Alright here is the time-line of events About weeks ago my HP laptop was starting up then came to a screen that said quot Operating System Not Found I "Operating Not Found" System disregarded the message and restarted Problem went away came up normal on a restart It has done this a handfull of times since Went to burn a DVD w some pics and videos a few days ago nothing would burn to the disc The laptop would give me a general message to the effect of disc not recognized or please enter disc After trying multiple blank media I gave up and transfered all my files to a WD external HD "Operating System Not Found" Went in to try a system restore unsuccesful on three trys Says an unexpected error occurred restore could not be completed unexpected error was never pin-pointed Went back in and did a complete system restore and sent my laptop back to when I purchased it Went perfectly until I restarted and received the same quot Operating System Not Found quot upon startup Quick facts HP Pavillion dv nr Windows XP I can get into my desktop by either hitting F or F on startup I do not have the OS CDs or any other discs for this laptop All my files have been transfered No grinding noises have "Operating System Not Found" been detected The fan has been running nonstop for about a month battery lasts about mins sure signs something is wrong Thanks in advance for any tips tricks and assistance nbsp

Relevancy 105.35%

I read other threads about this to try and figure out how Found" System "Operating Not to fix this issue I couldn't find anything relating to my issue-per say I was copying files from my Laptop to a new Seagate external when my HD crashed Just like the other threads the VAIO screen will load on reboot but it immediately goes to a black screen with quot Operating System Not Found quot I bought the computer from BB a year ago with W preinstalled I also bought it "Operating System Not Found" 'ready to use' meaning the 'Geek Squad' had already set everything up and provided to recovery discs with the purchase I have tried booting from the recovery discs but nothing happens bios is set to read optical drive first I read about installing "Operating System Not Found" from the USB but I don't have a W iso file since it was already installed I "Operating System Not Found" am working from my desktop now but this is a major problem for me since all my design work is done from my Sony VAIO Any help is greatly appreciated

Welcome

Some helpful solutions from tour affilated Forum
Operating System Not Found - Vista Forums

IN lieu of the link that Brinks gives for startup repair, you should use this information
Startup Repair

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/125379-operating-system-not-found.html
Relevancy 105.35%

A black screen with that message had popped up when I left my laptop running for a little while and came back. Nothing was responding, so I hard rebooted the computer, and now it's as if nothing happened. The machine's fine now, but I'm curious as to what might have prompted a message as extreme as "Operating System Not Found"...?

Run chkdsk /r on the hard drive.

Run hard drive diagnostics --> http://www.techsupportforum.com/f234...es-302602.html

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/operating-system-not-found-458338.html
Relevancy 105.35%

that s what my friend s computer says so I gotta try to fix it but I don t have a lot of time and I m probably only gonna go once I haven t seen it myself but all I ve been told is when the Not Found" "Operating - System Help computer starts it says quot Operating system not found quot and I don t think the computer has a floppy drive because I asked if maybe a floppy disk was in the computer So do you guys have any suggestions on what recovery software I should bring I m gonna bring Norton System Works K and see if I can do a virus scan if that doesn t work I also have norton utlilties K I m also gonna try to use the Norton "Operating System Not Found" - Help Disk Doctor Does anyone know any good partition recovery software I think my final option would be to "Operating System Not Found" - Help maybe install the hard drive as a slave on another machine and try to recover the files from the not working hard drive to a working one The operating "Operating System Not Found" - Help system installed was win there was no antivirus installed but I don t know of any virsuses that do this with the exception of CIH but it s August not April or whatever It could also very well be that the HDD is just dying but it s only or years old nbsp

A:"Operating System Not Found" - Help

Hi HJB417...

Have you/him had a look in the BIOS??

Have a look in it and see which Drive boots first.

Make sure its the Drive with the Operating System on.

If he has got a Virus, or maybe accidentally meddled somehow it may of changed his BIOS settings.

When you boot-up does it recognize all the drives on the system??

I'm no expert, but maybe i helped

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/operating-system-not-found-help.2378/
Relevancy 105.35%

I have a Sony Vaio VGN laptop.
Bought it off someone else, it came with Windows 7 Ultimate RC.

After June 1st the RC expired so I wiped the hard drive empty with KillDisk.

Now I want to install a genuine version of Windows 7 Ultimate and it keeps giving me this black screen with the error message "Operating System Not Found". What do I do?

Yes - checked BIOS, optical drive is at 1st booting priority for the DVD
Yes - BIOS recognized the hard drive
Yes - I have tried burning the .ISO onto a USB stick and booting from there
Yes - I've put BIOS back to default settings

All with no luck.
How the heck do I get a normal operating system onto this laptop?!?!

First, where did the DVD come from? Did you burn it or is it retail?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/operating-system-not-found-493939.html
Relevancy 105.35%

Hello Well the hard-drive on my laptop died it was displaying quot SMART failure prediction -- Hard-disk Drive dailure might be imminant So I took it out and hooked it up to an external enclosure and copied all the files system files and personal files hidden and visible off of it to another computer After that I went and bought a new hard-drive My previous found" system not "Operating hard-drive was a -GB -RPM Western Digital The new hard-drive is a -GB -RPM Western Digital So I placed the new harddrive in the external enclosure and copied all the files I had copied off my "Operating system not found" dying harddrive on to it my new harddrive I placed it back into my laptop and booted it up I was expecting it to work when it said quot operating system not found quot I rebooted again and brought up the Bootable-Devices menu and sure enough my new harddrive isn't even listed on there Although it doesn't detect it as a bootable device the BIOS does detect the new harddrive as I am running the BIOS' drive-diagnostics-program on it now which is almost complete So I'm not sure what is going on I should mention that while backing up my files I had no trouble getting all the files off my dying harddrive with the exception of a few non-system files associated with a Virtual Machine I had So I suppose my question is How can I get the BIOS to detect the harddrive as a bootable device

A:"Operating system not found"

Quote: Originally Posted by Goldeneye

Hello! Well, the hard-drive on my laptop died (it was displaying "SMART failure prediction -- Hard-disk Drive dailure might be imminant).

So I took it out and hooked it up to an external enclosure and copied all the files (system files and personal files, hidden and visible) off of it to another computer.

After that, I went and bought a new hard-drive. My previous hard-drive was a 250-GB 5400-RPM Western Digital. The new hard-drive is a 500-GB 7200-RPM Western Digital.

So I placed the new harddrive in the external enclosure and copied all the files I had copied off my dying harddrive on to it (my new harddrive). I placed it back into my laptop and booted it up.

I was expecting it to work when it said, "operating system not found". I rebooted again and brought up the Bootable-Devices menu and sure enough my new harddrive isn't even listed on there. Although, it doesn't detect it as a bootable device, the BIOS does detect the new harddrive (as I am running the BIOS' drive-diagnostics-program on it now which is almost complete). So I'm not sure what is going on.

I should mention that while backing up my files, I had no trouble getting all the files off my dying harddrive with the exception of a few (non-system) files associated with a Virtual Machine I had.

So I suppose my question is: How can I get the BIOS to detect the harddrive as a bootable device?

Does the new HD have a drive letter? Was it formatted before installation?

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/156790-operating-system-not-found.html
Relevancy 105.35%

hey guys, ive had my sony vaio F126 for about 3 months now and today a blue screen popped up. Now whenever i restart my computer, i only see a black screen with "operating system found." i dont have any important files on there that i need because i havent needed it for college yet.
i'm ok with computers, but i dont know how to fix this???

A:"operating system not found"

I'd suspect a hard drive problem. If you can get to the BIOS (Setup) does it detect the hard drive? If it has a diagnostic run it.

Also see if you can get bootable diagnostics from the hard drive manufacturer's site.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/operating-system-not-found.1002073/
Relevancy 105.35%

Im working on a clients PC Emachines with XP home on it it was so filled with junk that we ghosted the drive and reinstalled XP with the Emachines restore disk onto a brand WHY?" System not found!?!? "Operating new drive the cd restored the old os and programs it actually used norton ghost which i thought was kinda neat Before restoring documents from the old drive I decided to do the windows update however when it gets to the windows update site lots of problems occur it sometimes cant load the page and various "Operating System not found!?!? WHY?" updates including SP always fail I decided to restart the computer as that often fixes odd little problems like that only to have it give me quot Operating System Not Found quot however if I Ctrl-Alt-Del it it restarts and boots into XP Now whenever the computer starts up it said OS not found then I Ctrl-Alt-Del it and it loads XP And the windows updates still dont work Any advice would be apreciated nbsp

Relevancy 105.35%

i g et this 'operating system not found' message when i turn on my computer. safe mode isnt working. i tried booting from a linux cd but it doesnt work(eventho comp is set to boot from cd first) how can i fix this? can i install windows from a usb drive? if i try making a xp cd im afraid it wont boot like the linux cd. please help, what can i do?

A:"Operating system not found" please help

Can you see a file system on the C drive when you boot to the Linux CD? You could also try booting from a Windows XP CD and run a repair install?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/operating-system-not-found-please-help.877779/
Relevancy 105.35%

I get the message "operating system not found" upon start-up.

If i start with my HP recovery CD in the drive i get "Error - the hard disk was not found".

In BIOS 'primary master' is [none].

The original hard disk is still there and untouched (i have checked all cables), sometimes (very very seldom, my computer can start windows and can use normally for some time.) But 99% i get the message above. Is there anyway to solve this? Do i need to replace my Hard drive (sometimes the HD is quite niosy)?
Please Help!!

-JOhn

d/l and run h/d diognostic program from h/d manufacturer increased noise usually indicates it is going or gone
if checks out ok replace the eide cable

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/operating-system-not-found.231160/
Relevancy 105.35%

So I couldn't find anybody else who had this exact problem, which is why I'm starting a new thread. My girlfriend's computer, an Acer Extensa 4620Z (I'm startin to dislike the computer), is running Windows Vista. Occasionally, on bootup, it spends a long time at the Acer screen, then goes into script that eventually displays "Operating system not found". However, simply restarting the computer usually lets it boot into Windows fine. It's not exactly a problem yet, but it's starting to worry her and me. Any explanations, or suggestions of what to do?

Relevancy 105.35%

I need some help..I have this NEO notebook for 3 months now..Unfortunately when I tried to open it last night the windows did not start up and "Operating System Not Found" error appeared on the screen. I don't know what happened..An I am confused what to do..Please help me..thanks

Check you CD drive to see if there is a CD in it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/203354-operating-system-not-found.html
Relevancy 104.06%

Hi all,

Installed a DVDRW drive but comp crashed when installing some software and it stopped detecting my Primary Master and Slave drives. I've fiddled about with the Master and Slave configs and have managed to get it to detect my HD and DVDROM.

I've unplugged my DVDRW and my small HDD and am trying to get windows to load up.

After using FDISK /MBR an rebooting, I get "Missing Operating System".

Tried installing Windows XP after formatting, it seems to have installed but it's not loading.

Current config:

Slave: Pioneer DVDROM (not the DVDRW)
Master: Seagate 80GB (C: = 15GB) & (D: = 61GB).

D: has files on there that I'd like to recover. Too big to put on floppy.

I've run a search for similar problems and tried some of the solutions but no good. Any ideas? Thanks

Relevancy 99.76%

A friend has just been in touch with me regarding his PC. He says, "operating system not found"... and a big black screen, is what his laptop says to him when he tries to turn it on. He's been shutting it down a restarting it, but it apppears to be completely random on the number of times he has to do this before it actually turns itself on.

Any ideas guys?

A:operating system not found"...

Hard Drive Crashing!!?? Try booting off a disk or CD. If it comes up to dos prompt or what ever he boots to. Motherboard = good. hardrive = bad or corrupt. Virus is not out of the question. If reinstalling the OS fails its hard drive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/operating-system-not-found.356513/
Relevancy 96.75%

IBM 8307 "1962 No operating system found.Press

I have this error on boot up. Does anyone know what this error means?
It has a maxtor hard drive, 2 CD roms and a floppy.
In BIOS it has Hard disk 0, Hard Disk 2 thur 3.
I only have one hard disk attached and I don't know which one
to put first in sequance.
It also has a Primary Boot Sequance and a Automatic boot sequance.
Don't know why or how to set it up.
I am also using it thur a KVM switch. Could that be the problem?

Thank you,

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ibm-8307-1962-no-operating-system-found-press.857204/
Relevancy 95.46%

I start my computer and get "No operating system found. Press Ctrl Alt Deleteto restart" I think I set my C partition so it doesn't boot on it and boots on the Z partition which has nothing in it. Or unallocated space.

I think when i was trying to create a new partition in Windows 8 setup it screwed it up..... Because that was the last thing i did before i turned it off and got the message......

A:I start my computer and get "No operating system found. Press Ctrl....

This is out of context without the previous information in your thread at Dynamic Disk conversion help (HxD hex editer shows 01C2 is a 0??) - Windows 7 Forums.]

You last reported there that after recoversion to Basic, Win8 was trying to boot on another letter. I gave you the fix for that just now.

Has this latest failure happened ever since you reconverted to Basic disk, or just since trying to create a Win8 partition? How did you attempt this exactly? Did you then proceed to install Win8 to the partition as you should to have it auto-configure a Dual Boot? If not do that now.

Please post a camera snap of the Partition Wizard CD drive map with listings so that it isn't the size of a postage stamp.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/234653-i-start-my-computer-get-no-operating-system-found-press-ctrl.html
Relevancy 93.74%

As of the past hrs I ve been unable to view any youtube videos or even use Facebooks scrabble properly When it comes to the youtube vids YouTube freezing but "fine" buffering videos they freeze within the first few seconds or within a minute but the buffering completes all the while the circular dotted waiting graphic is displayed After the first fail I usually can get it to play again but only up to the same exact YouTube videos freezing but buffering "fine" point and then not at all This problem has been coupled with some random system crashes I m running Win bit and using ie as a browser I ve done exhaustive scans Nod trial version came up clean adaware free version froze after min finding items in files Norton found lowlevel cookies which it had no problem dealing with and after that adaware worked just fine I think that not having deleted my temporary internet files or cookies for almost a month contributed to the amount of items found and the hanging of adaware and found nothing Spydoctor found a cpl of low level cookies although it will only scan and then you must buy if you want to use it to fix Zone Alarm free version brand spanking new for win bit is the only significant change to my system that I can think of besides the uninstalling of Comodo firewall it s predecessor Originally the crashes were accompanied by a blue screen and my computer would restart itself and after of those yesterday they changed to the old school freeze where nothing ctrl alt del short of a manual restart would do I m sorry to be so long winded but I m my wits end and can be found burning all my media followed by backing up any important information in preparation for a clean install Please help There s more since the previous quot report quot I ve downloaded and ran malwarebytes which found a trogan and a hijack but my problem still remains even after using adobes flash player uninstall and reinstalling it times all different points but it is the last thing I ve done to make headway in this problem I m YouTube videos freezing but buffering "fine" including Malwarebytes report in case it helps Again I appreciate any input that can help me resolve this problem It s not so much that I can t function without youtube vids it s that my system isn t working properly and it might be symptomatic of a larger problem Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Database version Windows Internet Explorer PM mbam-log- - - - - txt Scan type Full Scan C D E Objects scanned Time elapsed hour s minute s second s Memory Processes Infected Memory Modules Infected Registry Keys Infected Registry Values Infected Registry Data Items Infected Folders Infected Files Infected Memory Processes Infected No malicious items detected Memory Modules Infected No malicious items detected Registry Keys Infected No malicious items detected Registry Values Infected No malicious items detected Registry Data Items Infected HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Policies Explorer NoActiveDesktopChanges Hijack DisplayProperties - gt Bad Good - gt Quarantined and deleted successfully Folders Infected No malicious items detected Files Infected C Windows Setup SCRIPTS Install exe Trojan VkHost - gt Quarantined and deleted successfully nbsp

Relevancy 92.45%

hi,

OK, this is a weird one.

I wanted to move the "My Music", "My Pictures", "My Videos" folders to another HDD. I moved the "My Documents" Folder to this HDD without a problem but the others I accidentally set the whole HDD as the folder (if that makes sense). So now the music, videos and pictures folders are set to this HDD and dont have an actual folder to change the properties of. Therein lies my dilema.

If anyone can offer any advice on this curly issue it would be greatly appreciated.

Shane

A:Remaking "My Music", "My Pictures", "My Videos" folders

Quote: Originally Posted by Legume

hi,

OK, this is a weird one.

I wanted to move the "My Music", "My Pictures", "My Videos" folders to another HDD. I moved the "My Documents" Folder to this HDD without a problem but the others I accidentally set the whole HDD as the folder (if that makes sense). So now the music, videos and pictures folders are set to this HDD and dont have an actual folder to change the properties of. Therein lies my dilema.

If anyone can offer any advice on this curly issue it would be greatly appreciated.

Shane

You have a backup from before the problem started? a win 7 dvd to do a repair install?
ken

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/109624-remaking-my-music-my-pictures-my-videos-folders.html
Relevancy 91.16%

Hi, tgis is the first time I am here. I need your help!

I have following:

Dell Dimension 8100, P4, 1.7Ghz
RAM: 512MB
Operating System: WINDOWS ME

I want to do following:

I have bought the full version(RETAIL) WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL. I want to backup all my DATA FILES and "clean install" WINDOWS XP on this computer.

What are the stelp, precautions and anything else I need to take?

Anyother suggestion will be helpful.

Please help!

Thank you.

A:Want to upgrade operating system from "WINDOWS ME" to "WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL"!

Hi,
1. Back-up all your data.
2. Put CD into CD ROM (you may have to boot from CD). "Do not upgrade" do a clean install.
3. Click HERE for instructions on installation.

As you go along and if you have questions, just ask.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/want-to-upgrade-operating-system-from-windows-me-to-windows-xp-professional-42566.html
Relevancy 91.16%

hey guys been meaning to post about this or a while now. For some reason when I go to power on pc 99% of the time it hangs at the "loading operating system" screen at the beginning. to fix this I hit the reset button on my case and it usually gets by the next time around. (sometimes takes 2 resets)

It also seems that this only occurrs when the system is cold. When I reboot after it's been running, I don't seem to experience the problem.

anyone have any thoughts? doesn't appear to be a big issue at the moment, but more of an annoyance. I just done want it to lead to another issue down the road.

thanks friends!

A:system cold boot hangs at "loading operating system"

I suspect the HDD.
Run Disk check and HD diagnostic please:
HD Diagnostic
Disk Check

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/101062-system-cold-boot-hangs-loading-operating-system.html
Relevancy 90.3%

Lately i have been getting the old PAGE NOT FOUND message but

only when i click to post on a message board. A post will post but

the PAGE NOT FOUND message appears after i click to post.
Also like at this web address

for movies: http://www.movielink.com/commerce/home/Home.jhtml?
_requestid=1291

i will out get a complete blank page just trying to enter the site.

my internet connection is fine when these pages appear.

thanks
if i do a reformat system restore, the problem will likely be cured but i would like to understand what causes this oddity.

A:the olde "PAGE NOT FOUND" playing new games....

if you have a restore point dated before the problem yes. But it might be a highjacker. PLease download HighJackThis and download it into a folder, preferbly in it's own folder. Reasons will explain later. Run the program and press scan. Then press SAVE (not fix... yet ) Save the log file. It will then appear in Notepad. Copy the log (CTRL + A then CTRL + C) and post it here (CTRL + V). We can look at the log to see if there is any highjackers.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/the-olde-page-not-found-playing-new-games.226218/
Relevancy 89.44%

I thought I would do a 'clean install' of Win 10 on my laptop. Used Killdisk to get rid of 2 of 3 partitions on my hard drive (not the OS partition). I must have done something wrong because now my system will not reboot. All I get is a message saying: "missing operating system". I tried to reboot by: 1) using a 'boot disk' prepared on my desktop; nothing. 2) using my Win 7 disk; nothing.

Then I tapped F12 and tried changing the BIOS settings to boot the DVD drive first. No luck! It appears that I mistakenly wiped the 'recovery partition' and perhaps the 'boot manager'? I dunno.

I can't do anything else that I know. Does anyone out there know how I can get my system to respond to changing the boot order so I can re-install Win 7 and start over again? Thanks for your help.

A:Wiping System to Re-install Win 7 - now "missing operating system"

Hi
How did you install 10 flash drive/ cd ?
If you did either of the about you might be able to use startup repair
Startup Repair

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/388218-wiping-system-re-install-win-7-now-missing-operating-system.html
Relevancy 89.44%

Last night my computer specification in signature was running the folding home client on both cores nothing unusual about that among other things and suffered a BSOD After dumping something memory or page file it restarted - it didn't stay on the screen so I couldn't note down any information After restarting the computer got as far as Code Loading operating system Booting from CD there's a random irrelevant CD in the drive and removing stops it from checking the CD but otherwise makes no difference At that point the screen dims with the writing still faintly readable and no progress is made I've run a Ubuntu live DVD and it sees the harddisks both data and Windows drives and the files are accessible When I attempt to repair the Windows installation via the Windows DVD disc no operating system is detected even after loading the necessary drivers for my motherboard's RAID controller the installation is not on a RAID-configured disk but I think the drivers may be necessary nonetheless based on my installation experience about a year ago When I select quot Use recovery tools that hang operating boot system" "Loading following to BSOD: Unable can help fix problems starting Windows quot and click Unable to boot following BSOD: "Loading operating system" hang quot Next quot and then select quot Startup Repair quot a repair is attempted and I am told to restart the computer to complete the repairs According to the diagnosis and repair details Code Root cause found ----------------- The partition table does not have a valid System Partition Repair action Partition table repair Result Completed successfully Error code x Time taken ms --------------- --------------- Then when I restart and remove the Windows disc I get the same Code Loading operating system as before How might I go about resolving this issue

A:Unable to boot following BSOD: "Loading operating system" hang

I solved it using help I recieved for a similar problem months ago.

At the command prompt type:

Code:
diskpart
Wait for completion. Type:

Code:
lis vol
Determine which volume number and drive letter is your system drive/partition (where Windows 7 is installed) and make a note of it - you might need to use the label or the volume size as a clue.

Type the following, replacing c: with the drive letter of your system drive/partition and replacing # with the associated volume number - press enter after each:

Code:
bootsec /nt60 c:

Code:
bcdboot c:\windows /s c:

Code:
diskpart

Code:
sel vol #

Code:
act

Code:
exi
Now restart the computer, removing the CD from the drive as soon as the PC enters the boot process (allowing it to shutdown first).

Done.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/144151-unable-boot-following-bsod-loading-operating-system-hang.html
Relevancy 89.44%

Whenever my computer tries to boot, it takes a while to detect anything from the CD-ROM (my first boot priority), and then when it detects the IDE, it says "error loading operating system" and after that I can't do anything but restart or shut down. I am running Windows XP Professional and it will load with a boot disk, but if I take out the boot disk it won't load. I'm not sure what to do, so please help me!

A:Solved: "error loading operating system" message when I try to boot

hi there, im sorry this isnt a solution. but i am having the same problem.

my old hard drive kicked the bucket and i got a new one. i cloned the hard drive using TrueImage which went fine. but when i restart the comp i get that error. i have tried to change the bios access mode to Large LBA and the other one but to no avail. i have herd that running the command fdisk /mbr may help but it could also cause problems.

does anyone know how to get past this?

also reinstalling xp doesnt work. i have formated the hard drive and tried to set up windows but to no avail

Thanks Lee

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-error-loading-operating-system-message-when-i-try-to-boot.364857/
Relevancy 89.44%

Hi Folks I am running with an ASUS Pro Series and Windows XP Pro In trying to fix a problem with Microsoft Outlooks I was frequently rebooting my computer trying to access the SAFE MODE boot menu and it has now permanently failed to boot and has the following error on screen quot Missing Operating System quot I have tried but cannot seem to access the menu where you can select to reboot in quot Safe Mode quot etc I can only access the BIOS SETUP UTILITY using F and the BIOS RAM EASY FLASH UTILITY using - from Need HD! data Operating "Missing to Boot retrieve Failure: System" F Using the recovery DVD I got as far as the three options - Recover Windows XP to first partition - Recover Windows XP to entire HD - Recover Windows XP to entire HD with partitions I stopped there because it is essential that I retrieve the data from the HD I am not concerned about the laptop Boot Failure: "Missing Operating System" - Need to retrieve data from HD! just the data Yes I am a dumb dumb for not backing all of it up This laptop was Boot Failure: "Missing Operating System" - Need to retrieve data from HD! supplied Boot Failure: "Missing Operating System" - Need to retrieve data from HD! to me by my employer so I am not sure how many partiotions it came with etc Is it safe to assume that the first partition contains the C drive data Are there any fancy tools I can get my hands on - over the net or otherwise - to try to get it booting normally again If not what options would I have for trying to get the data off the HD Also why does is it that I cannot access the SAFE MODE start up menu I will leave it at that for now Please help folks I really need this data Cheers - Rhett in the jungles of Papua New Guinea

A:Boot Failure: "Missing Operating System" - Need to retrieve data from HD!

It almost sounds like Windows became corrupted. As for data recovery unless I'm mistaken (and I might be) no data is truly lost unless the drive physically fails. I know of one program that should help with data recovery but I'm still learning about this topic.

If you are interested the program is: Recover My Files

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/boot-failure-missing-operating-system-need-to-retrieve-data-from-hd-366537.html
Relevancy 89.44%

guys i am on the brink of messing up everything please help me it all started when i installed a transformation need "error expert operating system" advice FAST! some loading pack for vista "error loading operating system" need some expert advice FAST! i basically restarted my pc after reinstalling and everything was fine i ran a virus scanner and it spotted some suspicious files but i also noticed some strange files in my C drive so i just deleted them not thinking they would be important unfortunately for me when i restarted my pc i "error loading operating system" need some expert advice FAST! got the message quot error loading operating system quot and i started panicing and didnt know what to do thank god i have another computer which allowed me to make this post anyway i booted from my thw windows xp disk and went into recovery console i then typed chkdsk r and as soon as i hit enter it said windows has encountered one or more unrecoverable errors so i typed in fixmbr because i thought i might have a problem with the master boot record now nothing happens when i restart it just shows a blank screen what should i do im begging anyone to help i really dont want to lose all my files that ive got its over gb of my stuff how can i recover this anything at all please help me

A:"error loading operating system" need some expert advice FAST!

Yikes!
Are you running Vista or XP? (This is the XP forum.)
Which files did you delete?
-Andy

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/error-loading-operating-system-need-some-expert-advice-fast-165873.html
Relevancy 89.44%

I just recently bought the game Everquest, along with it I installed a 3d card (Xpert 98) and added 32 RAM to it. The computer now has 96 RAM, yet when I try to play, after about 3 minutes, it freezes on me and I can't even do Ctrl-Alt-Del, I desperately want to play this game and I cannot fix the problem. I need HELP ASAP, really bad, pls someone out there that can help me solve this tormenting issue....thx

Specs are Win 98, Cyrix M-2 300, 96 RAM, Sound card is integrated onto motherboard, also on-board display adapter and on-board display adapter seems to be conflicting with recently installed 3D CARD................HEEEELLLLLPPPPPPP

MARO-TARO

[Edited by maro-taro on 04-03-2001 at 02:31 PM]

A:Freezing of game "Everquest" while playing.

What are the game specs? In other words what procc. speed does it call for ect.? It sounds like you have enough ram but do you have a lot of things running in your system tray?
In most cases of freeze up its a ram problem. As well have you checked the games web site for patches or updates?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/freezing-of-game-everquest-while-playing.41161/
Relevancy 89.44%

I just installed a new motherboard into my compaq preserio and when the computer starts up I am greeted with a black screen that says "loading operating system...". When I plug the original motherboard in I am greeted with a black screen, nothing happens after that. I have already installed the new motherboard's drivers but thats was when it crashed. I ran a diagnostic on it and it gave me error BIOHD 3, which I believe means that the drivers couldnt be found. So I am stuck at a stand still until I can find a fix.

A:Stuck at black screen that says "loading operating system"

Usually, after a motherboard change, a Clean Install Windows 7 is needed .

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/205422-stuck-black-screen-says-loading-operating-system.html
Relevancy 89.44%

Hi guys This is my first post and wasn't sure which exact board to post to so I thought installation might be one I have a windows bit machine Hang Operating System..." after "Loading shutdown/restart installed on a gb hdd Here is the exact sequence of events Shutdown computer last night it had been on for days straight Turned it on this morning bios screen loads fine then it jumps to a black screen with the text quot Loading Operating System quot and it "Loading Operating System..." Hang after shutdown/restart hangs "Loading Operating System..." Hang after shutdown/restart there I tried multiple configurations to detect the problem I feared for the life of my hdd I unplugged my other hdd and the dvd drive from power and sata and rebooted Now I get quot Loading Operating System quot BOOT DRIVE FAILED INSERT CD AND PRESS ENTER TO CONTINUE Re-install any other drive combo and get the standard hang screen I made no major changes to "Loading Operating System..." Hang after shutdown/restart my setup in the last days no software no windows update no hardware changes whatsoever Any help will be greatly appreciated thanks again

A:"Loading Operating System..." Hang after shutdown/restart

Sounds like the Boot drive has failed or been corrupted in some way. It has been my experience that drives don't just get corrupted for No reason. It just does not happen.

The causes of that corruption could be from a drive failure, a Virus or in rare cases from the OS not shutting down properly (Like you Pressed and held the power button down while the OS was writing needed OS files back to the drive).

I suggest you use a another drive, preferably a New drive, as your boot drive and load the latest image, Backup, of your system on it and see if that boots. If you have no backup then do a Reinstall of the OS on the drive and see if it boots without problems.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/256555-loading-operating-system-hang-after-shutdown-restart.html
Relevancy 89.44%

So here is my problem Occasionally after reboot I get quot Error loading operating system quot After that the only thing I can do is shut down the computer and fix the windows MBR Boot Sector see bellow I m running a clean install of Windows XP Pro SR on a Lenovo T laptop I have confirmed that in the majority of times the problem with the MBR Boot Sector happens during the windows session and not necessarily upon reboot When it happens there are no symptoms in windows except for when I try to run chkdsk I get the following error quot The type of the filesystem is RAW CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives quot I ve had my T for months now and I ve had this problem about times so far Obviously this makes my T unstable and is becoming a major problem I like to shut down the computer before taking it anywhere and I don t really use Hibernate Solving this problem is very easy and takes minutes But the Win XP CD is needed for the fix and I don t want to carry it around with me everywhere And anyway it "Error loading XP operating Pro Windows system" after with SR3 reboot s annoying and makes my T crippled "Error loading operating system" after reboot with Windows XP Pro SR3 To fix the problem Change AHCI - gt Compatibility in BIOS Boot using the Windows XP CD Enter the Recovery Console press R quot fixboot quot quot fixmbr quot Restart quot exit quot Change back to AHCI in Bios After that the computer works perfect until the next time Things I have tried so far Installed latest Bios for T Checked firmware for HD WD Scorpio WD BEVS and it s the latest Installed all windows updates for Windows XP and all Lenovo specific updates Installed all latest drivers for T Checked computer for Viruses malware etc with different scanners - it s clean Updated some of the programs that I thought might be causing problems Avira PerfectDisk TrueImage Home etc I am not running any special esoteric software only big label popular stuff Checked HD with PC Doctor WD s Data Lifeguard Diagnostic Tool and CHKDSK - there are no problems Made sure EnableBigLba in the registry is enabled although it should not affect SATA drives anyway Disabled Lenovo s quot Active Protection System quot - the problem persists Checked MBR Boot Sector with TestDisk analysis - there are no problems I am out of ideas Something is corrupting the MBR Boot Sector occasionally during the windows session or upon shutdown But I can t find why or under what circumstances it happens The only thing I didn t try was a completely new clean system install a thing which I REALLY don t want to do Except for this problem the system is great very stable and I m very happy with it Any ideas Thanks in advance nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/error-loading-operating-system-after-reboot-with-windows-xp-pro-sr3.755299/
Relevancy 89.44%

Son in law just bought a new toshiba laptop, and he has gotten the error, not sure of code as he shut it off and rebooted and said that works... daughter and I think there is a serious problem... and computer should be returned, he said he had told her about the error and she said OK, but when I saw it tonight he said he had talked to his "tech" friends and they said it was OK .... I don't think that is right. maybe he was just trying to cover his *** as he is headed downrange for a month )army) and the laptop is his only form of contact with his family and entertainment and thought he would be without it if he had to return to factory...

any feedback would be appreciated, only saw last part of error code, saying operating system could not be located.

Thanks,
christine

A:new lap top computer gets start up error "can't find operating system"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/new-lap-top-computer-gets-start-up-error-cant-find-operating-system.598397/
Relevancy 89.44%

For reference Acer Aspire v Nitro running Windows I made a mistake A friend gave me a USB drive and I wanted to format it but the USB operating device" system. No Error: bootable "Missing was actually broken and didn't show up What I thought was the USB was a drive with a name containing the word quot Pushbutton quot I formatted it and the computer ran fine until I restarted it Upon restart I am getting the error quot Missing operating system No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key quot I've been working on this problem for a little while and at first suspected Error: "Missing operating system. No bootable device" I messed up the MBR I loaded the windows startup disk on a USB and ran various repairs to no avail including bootrec stuff in the command prompt I have no idea what I did I know all of my files are still in there somewhere I didn't do anything to the main disk or partition I think I formatted some kind of partition that is related to booting up the OS I'm not sure if this changes anything but my hard drive is full disk encrypted using VeraCrypt

A:Error: "Missing operating system. No bootable device"

I don't know about VeraCrypt, but with MS encryption, you need an extra BOOT partition that is not encrypted. Perhaps that is what got clobbered.

If you have access to another working PC, then you should download the Minitool Partition Wizard Boot CD and make a CD or USB stick from it. To make a USB stick, you'll also need to download RUFUS and use that.

Once you have that, boot your machine and see what partitions are on the drive.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/71382-error-missing-operating-system-no-bootable-device.html
Relevancy 89.44%

Last night i was watching a few videos on youtube and turned off my computer. on the next day i went to school and when i got back i turned on my computer and started normaly until it got to the windows 7 logo where it whould go to the BSOD screen saying "bad_system_config_info"....i tried restarting several times..after that i went to my system restore screen and it seems as if it can not detect my hard drive i gues and find windows 7 and i also get "Operating system:Unknown on Unknown local disk" on the system restore ....i have tried many other forums but that still did not work..can someone please guide me into getting my computer back..and whould screenshots of the bsod and system recovery be good?

A:BSOD at Startup "bad_system_config_info" and operating system unknown

I suggest you replace your registry hives from the backup.

You need windows boot media of some kind - the installation disc, or the win7 repair disc you ran off will do fine.

There is a tutorial explaining one method of doing here:

Startup Repair Infinite Loop Recovery

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/206797-bsod-startup-bad_system_config_info-operating-system-unknown.html
Relevancy 89.44%

I'm facing this quot error loading operating system quot error message recently The whole story goes like this The PC has been working fine for past years specs as AMD duron Mhz MSI K T Mobo MB of kingston PC ram GB Western Digital Cavier GeForce MX X CD rom Only recently after my format of PC as i wanted to clear up all junks in PC I deleted all partion on this GB harddisk and recreate a new one and format it as NTFS with the WinXP installation The installation then proceed to copy required files for installation and reboot Immediately after this reboot the error message quot error loading operating system quot came up No changes done to any settings on my Bios before The PC was tested with another GB harddisk and proven working well I proceed to download the WD harddisk test program Recent System" Loading with Help~! encounter Operating "Error from WD homepage ran all test quick full and erase writing and everything Help~! Recent encounter with "Error Loading Operating System" passed without problem I tested my GB WD harddisk as a slave drive it was working perfectly as was able to xfer files and defrag But same problem occur when i tried on my main PC to reinstall WinXP Anyone could help No sigfinicant event happened before and after the reinstallation virus spyware drop harddisk It was just a routine format and reinstall XP but problem occured My Rig was tested with no problem My harddisk was tested on different PC to reinstall but same problem occur Strangely i stress tested this GB harddisk with all diagnostic i could find and it tested w o any problem plus harddisk works well as a slave drive Anyone can help pls

A:Help~! Recent encounter with "Error Loading Operating System"

Please make sure you have the latest BIOS for your motherboard:
"Error Loading Operating System" Error Message When You Restart Your Computer During Setup

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/help-recent-encounter-with-error-loading-operating-system-115663.html
Relevancy 89.44%

Hi I am a newbie here so apologies for the long post My PC recently went into hibernation mode and soon after i restarted windows noticed sector errors and fixed them in RAW SSD now "missing 7 system" Windows format! boot operating HOWEVER since then it will not start windows and now it tells me quot missing operating system quot I can access the motherboard boot screen and see all of the drives including disc drive i have used the command prompt and can see that all the drives Windows 7 boot SSD now in RAW format! "missing operating system" are active however the SSD boot drive is Windows 7 boot SSD now in RAW format! "missing operating system" not NTFS but RAW I have tried using my windows ultimate backup disc amp a windows Home premium install disc but both will not let me access windows without a fresh install Could this be as simple as the driver for the SSD is no longer on the PC and i now need to source it and install it or is it likely that the drive is ruined I have a NAS which has the windows backup's stored on there however the PC will not let me access the NAS without installing Windows can i install the Home premium version on a new SSD and restore the ultimate from my NAS backup once the windows install is complete In addition is there any way to rescue the data on the corrupt SDD or to reuse the SSD etc etc Sorry for all the questions but hopefully someone can help

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/394602-windows-7-boot-ssd-now-raw-format-missing-operating-system.html
Relevancy 89.44%

Hello There Trying to reach cookies file I followed the path C Users User-Name AppData Roaming Microsoft Windows Cookies I could not go beyond Windows the Cookies folder never appeared So I opened FOLDER OPTIONS to uncheck the quot Hide protected operating system files quot But the result was the path taking me from quot Users quot to quot Cookies quot did not show up anymore the folders App data Roaming Windows and a lot of sub-files appear now as I try to go through the default path How can I rebuild the default folder structure I tried system "Hide Unchecked files" protected operating RESTORE but unfortunately I had canceled that option time ago Without me deleting anything simply by unchecking the hidden operating system files I could not find anymore the folders quot App Data quot quot Roaming quot quot Microsoft quot and quot Windows quot If I enter one by one at START gt SEARCH the Unchecked "Hide protected operating system files" name of these folders they appear at COMPUTER But not anymore in the path sequence I was intending to follow to get to the COOKIES file to eliminate some cookies creating problems Just one example When I click on MyUserName it should come after App Data but instead this is the list of folders that appear listed onnet Contacts Desktop Downloads Favorites Links Livestation My Documents My Music My Pictures My Videos Searches Gmailinstaller IE -Windows -x -enu I have already re-checked up again the Folder Options quot Hide Protected Operating System Files quot box expecting it will also help to put the path sequence in due order but the path continues interrupted I will appreciate your help to return my computer to its original operation Oniro nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/unchecked-hide-protected-operating-system-files.1089302/
Relevancy 89.44%

Hi everyone. While I was installing windows, my mom accidently hit the fuse in my garage and the power went out. When I rebooted the computer, it says "error loading operating system". I wasn't even half way done installing it. What can I do? I was thinking I could start fresh but I do not know how to do that.

Thanks!! If you have a solution, please tell me, my spring break ends on Monday and I would like to get as much gaming done before I go back to school!

A:HELP!!Power went out while installing XP!"error loading operating system"

oh yeah, by the way, i cant install it again, every single time I reboot, i get the message "error loading operating system"

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/help-power-went-out-while-installing-xp-error-loading-operating-system-150524.html
Relevancy 89.44%

Hi i recently built a computer with an abit an- mobo a gb maxtor hdd mb of ram and a radeon anyway I was booting up for the first time with the OS winxp home in the cdrom rom drive everything was going peachy until it System" Operating finished But "Error Xp - Loading never installation came to formatting the hard drive it took about an hour or so but when it was complete an error came up saying that it was unsuccsessful and the disk may be damaged i then tried a quot quick format quot and then the setup decided that the disk wasnt "Error Loading Operating System" - But Xp never finished installation inserted into the cdrom drive giving up i quit setup and rebooted on the next cycle on startup a message quot error loading operating system quot popped up and now wont go away what can i do to stop this and what can i do next time to make setup sucessful Thanks alot any input it much appreciated i have found similar posts but all of them are problems happening after winxp was installed from friends input it seems my hard drive needs to be reformatted but i cant get to it anyway ive tried to boot dos fdisk and maxpower from the cdrom drive but to no preveil once "Error Loading Operating System" - But Xp never finished installation again any input is really appreciated ime a real noob and am probably missing something stupid John

A:"Error Loading Operating System" - But Xp never finished installation

Hi

I would be inclined to download the diagnostic software from the maxtor site and zero the disc and check it over for faults and then use the 'install disc' option within that software and start again with XP - if the disc checks out OK that is.

Peter

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/error-loading-operating-system-but-xp-never-finished-installation-50321.html
Relevancy 89.44%

So, I was getting bored and decided to follow up on some of the performance tweeking I've been doing. Anyway, I got a bit sidetracked and decided to go to the "Reboot Time" tread, which them prompted me to go ahead and diable some of my useless startup processes. Thing is, something strange kind of popped out at me... Why are there two "Microsoft Windows Operating System" processes when as far as I can tell from the reboot thread, people have 1?

I'm assuming it isn't smart to randomly diable either, so I came here to ask.

A:Multiple "Windows Operating System" Startup Processes?

It has to do with your Sidebar/gadgets. But I don't know why you would have two though. You might expand it to look at what it all says and post it. It's best not to start disabling services and startup items if you're not fully aware of what they do. If you want to speed up performance then I suggest reading thru Brinks tutorial on how to speed things up.

Speed Up the Performance of Vista

This tab would show your OS/OS's

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/206449-multiple-windows-operating-system-startup-processes.html
Relevancy 89.44%

Hi there I don't know if anyone out there has had this similar problem I bought a new hard drive began to install windows xp unfortunately I hadn't realised that the New "Error Installation operating system" loading - [SOLVED] power socket for the hard drive was plugged into the slave socket of [SOLVED] "Error loading operating system" - New Installation my standby saver and it switched off as the setup was beginning [SOLVED] "Error loading operating system" - New Installation the formatting section [SOLVED] "Error loading operating system" - New Installation of the windows xp install I rebooted the hard drive and now all that appears in an error saying quot Error loading operating system quot AHHHHHHHHH I have tried to reboot with the windows disc in the hard drive and also tried installing the disc when the error message appears NOTHING I have went onto a couple of other forum sites and it looks as though I may have to change the BIOS but some others say do not do this unless all else fails I have been directed to the techsupportforum as I have been told that if anyone knows it will be on this forum site PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help I am at my wits end and don't know what to do now I forgot to mention on boot up my MSI motherboard goes through the motions them almost immediately the error message appears

A:[SOLVED] "Error loading operating system" - New Installation

clear the drive with killdisk

then format and install

http://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree.htm

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-and-quot-error-loading-operating-system-and-quot-new-installation-473736.html
Relevancy 89.44%

So here is my problem Occasionally after reboot I get quot Error loading operating system quot after with XP "Error operating reboot Pro Windows SR3 system" loading After that the only thing I can do is shut down the computer and fix the windows MBR Boot Sector see bellow I'm running a clean install of Windows XP Pro SR on a Lenovo T laptop I have confirmed that in the majority of times the problem with the MBR Boot Sector happens during the windows session and not necessarily upon reboot When it happens there are no symptoms in windows except for when I try to run chkdsk I get the following error quot The type of the filesystem is RAW CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives quot I've had my T for months now and I've had this problem about times so far Obviously this makes my T unstable and is becoming a major problem I like to shut down the computer before taking it anywhere "Error loading operating system" after reboot with Windows XP Pro SR3 and I don't really use Hibernate Solving this problem is very easy and takes minutes But the Win XP CD is needed for the fix and I don't want to carry it around with me everywhere And anyway it's annoying and makes my T crippled To fix the problem Change AHCI - gt Compatibility in BIOS Boot using the Windows XP CD Enter the Recovery Console "Error loading operating system" after reboot with Windows XP Pro SR3 press R quot fixboot quot quot fixmbr quot Restart quot exit quot Change back to AHCI in Bios After that the computer works perfect until the next time Things I have tried so far Installed latest Bios for T Checked firmware for HD WD Scorpio WD BEVS and it's the latest Installed all windows updates for Windows XP and all Lenovo specific updates Installed all latest drivers for T Checked computer for Viruses malware etc with different scanners - it's clean Updated some of the programs that I thought might be causing problems Avira PerfectDisk TrueImage Home etc I am not running any special esoteric software only big label popular stuff Checked HD with PC Doctor WD's Data Lifeguard Diagnostic Tool and CHKDSK - there are no problems Made sure EnableBigLba in the registry is enabled although it should not affect SATA drives anyway Disabled Lenovo's quot Active Protection System quot - the problem persists Checked MBR Boot Sector with TestDisk analysis - there are no problems I am out of ideas Something is corrupting the MBR Boot Sector occasionally during the windows session or upon shutdown But I can't find why or under what circumstances it happens The only thing I didn't try was a completely new clean system install a thing which I REALLY don't want to do Except for this problem the system is great very stable and I'm very happy with it Any ideas Thanks in advance

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/error-loading-operating-system-after-reboot-with-windows-xp-pro-sr3-297991.html
Relevancy 89.44%

I have a Acer Aspire 5610z and i was surfing the web and all of a sudden i got a flashing BSOD and it restarted but the system never booted it kept saying "Missing Operating System" . I used the Vista upgrade Cd to try do a repair but i had no hard drive to repair or even do an installation of vista what can i do i tried the alt f10 but i couldn't even get that to come up i can get into my BIOS . what can i do , do i need to get a fresh install of an operating system i don't mind because i have a backup of my files to an external drive i have so im not worried about important documents or anything So can anyone help me ?

A:Windows Vista x32 Service Pk 1 "Missing Operating System"

and welcome to the Forum

Sounds like you will need to replace the hard drive before you reinstall.

You can run diagnostics on the hard drive

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

See this for how to make a bootable cd

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-vista-x32-service-pk-1-missing-operating-system-535026.html
Relevancy 89.01%

I m trying to revive a Compaq Armada M laptop When I boot the system I get the Solved: operating reviving - "Error system" Armada Compaq loading Help M700 a standard red Compaq logo screen Solved: Help reviving a Compaq Armada M700 - "Error loading operating system" then a screen which states Initializing Intel Boot Agent Version build followed Solved: Help reviving a Compaq Armada M700 - "Error loading operating system" by a screen which states Error loading operating system -----------Things I know about this laptop-------------------- I was able to install Ubuntu Linux Solved: Help reviving a Compaq Armada M700 - "Error loading operating system" Desktop upon it about a year ago and it worked fine Since then however my sister the user of this laptop decided she did not want Linux but would rather have Windows XP installed It was then given to a friend of her husband who managed to eliminate Ubuntu He stopped there though probably having the same problems as I am now Having had previous problems with removing Ubuntu from laptop hard drives I assumed I could perhaps install Ubuntu back onto computer However after inserting the CD and rebooting several times it will clearly not happen ----------Computer Features--------------------------- Hard Drive GB Toshiba Floppy Drive n a CD Drive Yes --------------BIOS Options------------------------------- Title quot Computer Setup Boot options quot QuickBoot quot Enable Disable quot MultiBoot quot Boot Order -NoteBook MultiBay -NoteBook hard drive -NoteBook Ethernet Device Options Num Lock state at boot Multiple pointing devices USB legacy support Internal display controller Video out Parallel port mode Intel SpeedStep technology Docking base Unique Identification Processor Number Device security the whole list System IDs Notebook asset tag quot quot Notebook ownership tag quot quot two lines Password stuff Restore defaults Now I would think that having a bootable CD drive and either an Ubuntu or XP install disc in the drive would start the install process Am I forgetting something Is there a hardware problem What can I do to make this work again Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Solved: Help reviving a Compaq Armada M700 - "Error loading operating system"

im going to guess and say that the boot order has to be set up to boot from a cd. when u put the windows xp cd in restart the computer and then start tapping F8 u should then see a black screen and in the left hand corner u should see press any key to boot from the cd. i always hit the enter key and u should be able to go from there.im assuming u have a windows xp cd.and im also going to assume u still have a valid coa sticker on the computer.i will make one suggestion u might want to get a bigger hard drive. 30 gb is a bare minumum anymore to have.if u dont have a windows xp disk u will either have to purchase one or u might be able to borrow the version of windows xp that u now have either home or pro. hope this helps u.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-help-reviving-a-compaq-armada-m700-error-loading-operating-system.782715/