Windows Support Forum

New Owner, THINKPAD T410 missing Fingerprint, Webc...

Q: New Owner, THINKPAD T410 missing Fingerprint, Webc...

Hi Everyone nbsp nbsp I am a THINKPAD Owner, missing New T410 Fingerprint, Webc... new T owner Bought this notebook for cheap and i am impressed by its quality My specs for the laptop as follows I upgraded ram and ssd and i am happy with the results but there is always a space for logical and not so costly improvements that is why i am here to ask you experts New Owner, THINKPAD T410 missing Fingerprint, Webc... and owners to get some suggestions if you please I am New Owner, THINKPAD T410 missing Fingerprint, Webc... a regular guy who uses its computers for web-browsing and watching online shows and some little photoshopping This computer provided more than enough power for my usage and needs nbsp nbsp i nbsp i - M stock gb ddr mhz ram it was gb before gb kingston hyperX ssd had a gb rpm seagate before Windows legalized with Win Pro key found under the battery x resolution displayEverything works perfect with windows i didn't even have to install any driver but some extra lenovo apps I flashed the lasted bios and that corrected some issues with Win installation I have checked other T models but mine is missing some important specs like Bluetooth chip would prefer BT with low energy webcam support for skype and fingerprint reader for added security The touchpad is also worn by use in time and the palmrest housing is cracked on the edge of both sides I have cut some carbon fiber stickers New Owner, THINKPAD T410 missing Fingerprint, Webc... and put onto touchpad to keep nbsp aestetcis but the sensevitiy is not that good now I want to know if nbsp nbsp I nbsp can upgrade cpu to i if yes which model of i should i get Can i add fingerprint reader to this device and at the same time changing the touchpad and palmrest housing This would be birds with one stone Is it possible to add Bluetooth and LE supporting chip in Can i add webcam but keep the keyboard light nbsp nbsp Thank you for your time and wish you all happy and productive days nbsp ps sorry for the english nbsp it isn't my native language nbsp

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/New-Owner-THINKPAD-T410-missing-Fingerprint-Webcam-Bluetooth/td-p/3319623
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: New Owner, THINKPAD T410 missing Fingerprint, Webc...

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 28.38%

Hi I need to choose a laptop to my daily use between only those choices I cant choose different one first option ThinkPad Yoga broadwell includes inch usb level mini hdmi port no vga - provided converter to vga has digitizer work on wifi can add external usb splitter ethernet battery - around hours internal - 840 HP ThinkPad broadwell VS EliteBook Yoga G2 12.5 14.0 can t be switched fast charging reviews talks about hours even in average wifi work second option HP EliteBook G broadwell includes inch usb level no digitizer has Ethernet connection battery - around hours external battery max - hours Beside of this - both are equal with internal content same cpu ssd graphics etc for both I won t change battery or something like that in my daily use I don t plan to take a spare battery ThinkPad Yoga 12.5 broadwell VS HP EliteBook 840 G2 14.0 with me but I do need it to work duration as much as possible I will work with this only on laptop hours a day - rest of day is on external screen What I need is highest battery life as possible convenient and easy connection to docking I heard many argument against HP docking stations with series normal keypad today I have lenovo thinkpad and its wonderful normal screen bigger is better but not in any case for hours a day max what do you say I would appreciate you comments - how much the change in screen size is critical it s only cm- cm ThinkPad Yoga 12.5 broadwell VS HP EliteBook 840 G2 14.0 correct vs - for the lenovo- I afraid that the battery does not have a long life time and after a one year it will die the cell is an internal cell - hours by team mates review and more How manufacturers treat nowadays to cell issues Does a user still need to replace a battery every - years how this in internal battery devices Thank you nbsp

A:ThinkPad Yoga 12.5 broadwell VS HP EliteBook 840 G2 14.0

What did you choose in the end and why? I have the exact same options offered to me.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/thinkpad-yoga-12-5-broadwell-vs-hp-elitebook-840-g2-14-0.213538/
Relevancy 27.09%

Lenovo's VP of Design, David Hill, wants to create a new ThinkPad laptop that is heavily inspired by the old-school designs of popular ThinkPad laptops from the IBM era, stretching as far back as 1992.

Read more

A:Lenovo design chief wants to build a retro-styled ThinkPad laptop

I used to use one of those old IBM Thinkpad laptops at around that time and I thought it was the coolest thing ever even if it was terribly slow, weighed almost a ton, had a crappy pixelated display (~2ppi it seemed) and was about a metre thick. I loved it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/lenovo-design-chief-wants-to-build-a-retro-styled-thinkpad-laptop.215825/
Relevancy 19.78%

Hi All,
This is my first post here
So the issue I am facing is that I have a Dell Laptop with dual graphics card (Intel(R) 4400 integrated and AMD Radeon 8850m dedicated). The System would not detect any AMD driver installed on it. The device manager was showing only the Intel Graphics Card being installed .
Then I went on to uninstall the Catalyst Command Center from Control Panel, wherein I completely uninstalled the AMD Graphics driver and everything related to it.
Now, AMD is not at all being recognized by my system. Device manager doesnt show it even in hidden devices, DriverEasy scan doesnt read it, Even Dell System detect is failing to detect the AMD graphics Card.

How do I proceed ahead with this issue.

Have I somehow unmounted the hardware internally?
Is there anyway besides a factory reset to get this working again ( I have concerns with a factory reset also not helping me )
What system scan tools can I use to get my laptop to recognize the Device again?
Please Help
Thanks In Advance

A:AMD Radeon 8850m device is missing

Have you tried going to Dell support site and down loading the orginal drivers and software for your graphics.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/amd-radeon-8850m-device-is-missing.215797/
Relevancy 19.78%

I've got my build together to use a Socket 1150. I have read that one of these CPU's does not have the full/latest instruction set vs. the others. Overclocking is not important to me but I will buy the "K" series if it has the fullest instruction set.

Can anyone enlighten me further on this?

Thanks.

A:I7-4770 vs. i7-4771 vs. i7-4770K - Which has missing instruction set vs. the other 2?

http://ark.intel.com/products/75123

http://ark.intel.com/products/77656/

http://ark.intel.com/products/75122/

They all have the same instruction sets according to the intel site, unless im missing something, which one are you reffering to.

Those are essentially the same chip, just different clock speeds and 1 is unlocked.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i7-4770-vs-i7-4771-vs-i7-4770k-which-has-missing-instruction-set-vs-the-other-2.197871/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hello everyone,
One fine evening while watching a movie, my laptop stopped responding and in frustration I switched off the laptop by holding the power button long enough to turn off. Next Morning it showed a blue screen and a message to recover my windows, which I failed to do and by the afternoon this message showed up. Detection Error on HDD0 (main HDD) and hence forth I've been unable to install windows from a USB drive since ( and I suppose) it is not able to read my HDD. I do not care about my data at all, I just want my laptop up and running. If I can have the data back it will be perfect otherwise I don't mind not getting my data back. I know for a fact that my Hard disk is fine because I went into command prompt, diskpart , and list disk, and saw the status of HDD as healthy, this is after the error (detection error on HDD). SO my question is: Why this error? IS there a problem in the motherboard? Why the error shows once and then doesn't show the next time and then comes up again.

A:2100: Detection Error on HDD0 (Main HDD); Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga

The error might be bad sectors, but I'm not sure. if my guessing is correct, you might have to get a new drive to replace. also you need to reinstall OS

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/2100-detection-error-on-hdd0-main-hdd-lenovo-thinkpad-yoga.212391/
Relevancy 19.78%

Hi,

I have recently built a desktop computer, that had minor issues that I had eventually worked around or found a solution to. This issue is an exception. When I first used my computer, everything was fine with sound, until I found that my graphics card was not inserted correctly, and I was running with terrible resolution. After fixing this issue, I had no sound. This was about 10 months ago. On and off throughout this period I began to try and fix this issue, by disconnected and uninstalling my GPU. I launched skype and trying calling someone, but it alerted me that my sound card was missing. I know this is not true, so I have 3 main theories: 1. The sound card was fried (not likely). 2. My graphics card audio overrode the onboard audio, 3. The two (GPU and sound card) were operating on the same frequency. As I have said before, I had sound before I re-installed my graphics card, so I would either appreciate a solution to switch back to onboard audio, or a way to use both somehow.
Specs: Motherboard: ASUS P8z77
Graphics Card: Nvida Ge Force 670
Processor: Intel i7 core.

A:Cannot use speakers/headphones: Sound card is missing?

Please respond, this issue has been pressing me for almost a year, and I would really like it to be resolved.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cannot-use-speakers-headphones-sound-card-is-missing.203668/
Relevancy 19.78%

Hello,

Old Dell computer running Windows XP that was never backed up and I am trying to recover files and photos. I get NTLDR is missing when I boot. I've used Testdisk/Photorec to try to recover my data but when going through the recovered data it seems to be all system files that I know nothing about. I used Ubuntu on the Dell to run Testdisk. I also hooked up the hard disk to my laptop with a hard disk adapter and got the same results.I also ran a NTLDR boot disk but ended up with the same NTLDR is missing message. I dont have a XP recovery disk. Anybody that has had this issue please help!

A:NTLDR is missing. Hard Drive Failure.

Trobles86 said:

I also hooked up the hard disk to my laptop with a hard disk adapter and got the same results.Click to expand...

If you have access to another PC or laptop then you can connect the hard drive in to that machine and get the files you wanted to recover from your hard drive in there.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ntldr-is-missing-hard-drive-failure.203104/
Relevancy 27.95%

I ve set up the with Shuts Laptop 2 Down 201X Monitors External Thinkpad laptop to work with external ThinkVision L monitors using Windows Professional One is connected via the VGA monitor port on the laptop the other is connected via VGA to a Lenovo DisplayLink USB Port Replicator model VDK -- with drivers updated Both monitors are working well and available when the laptop lid is closed The issue is that after the screen saver period completes the laptop powers down completely I d like it to just shut off the screen and resume on mouse movement The laptop is used with external monitors when it s plugged in -- Thinkpad 201X Laptop Shuts Down with 2 External Monitors and the power settings are Balanced profile Display turns off after hours Screensaver starts after minutes Computer goes to sleep - Never Hard disk off - Thinkpad 201X Laptop Shuts Down with 2 External Monitors never Internet Explorer Javascript Timer Frequency - Maximum Desktop background settings available Wireless Adapter Settings Max Performance Sleep - Never Hybrid Sleep Off Hibernate After Never Allow Wake Timers Disable USB Selective Suspend Disabled Intel Graphics Power Plan Balanced Power Buttons amp Lid Lid closed - Do nothing Power Button - Sleep Sleep Button - Sleep PCI Express - Moderate Power Multimedia - When sharing media - prevent idling to sleep When playing video - Optimize video quality Does anyone know why this is happening and a way to prevent it Thanks nbsp

A:Thinkpad 201X Laptop Shuts Down with 2 External Monitors

This is a tough one. Have you made any progress on this issue?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/thinkpad-201x-laptop-shuts-down-with-2-external-monitors.199660/
Relevancy 20.21%

I burned 1 GB of info in a DVD-R disc. Computer could read it perfectly and said 1 GB was recorded and 3 GB still free available for more data.
Next day I tried to add more data, 0.5 GB in a folder. All was OK, I dragged folder to DVD and PC said it was doing the job, after 2 minutes said folder was ready to be burnt. But the previous folders did not appear. I quit burning and tried to check the information on DVD. right- clicked properties and PC says it has 1 GB of data burnt and 3 GB available. But if I try to read the information I had burnt before, nothing, no files or folders.
May I still recover the 1.0 GB recorded first day? HOw?

A:DVD-R with 1 GB info but data is missing

When burning multiple sessions to a DVD-R disk, if the sessions are not left open or closed improperly, then it can "lose" data or make the entire disk worthless. As for recovering data from a DVD-R or any optical disk, for all intents & purposes it's a lost cause, it's not impossible, but it would cost out the wazoo and the likelihood of recovery is slim.
As cheap as DVD-R disks are, don't burn multiple sessions, just burn once and be done with it.

Hope this helps, take care!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dvd-r-with-1-gb-info-but-data-is-missing.198267/
Relevancy 20.21%

I have a USB drive on my WinXP that does not work. The error message that I get , when I plug a flash drive in, says that the driver for the USB drive has not been installed.

Now I have 6 USB's on the system. All of them work but this one.
Device Manager shows 5 "Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller" entries. I assume these are for the 5 working USB drives(?) Am I missing one more USB entry for the 6th USB drive that does not work?

I need to install the missing driver for the 6th USB, but don't know how. I head that you could just uninstall all of the "Standard USB Host Controller" entries and have WinXP. re-install them after re-boot, but am not sure if this is correct.

Any help with installing the missing USB driver?

Thanks for your help

Scott

A:Missing USB driver in Win XP

Im not sure if that is true but u can try go to website like if ur computer is dell go to www.dell.com/support and follow to drivers then lookfor your make and model laptop look under xp and download usb drivers

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/missing-usb-driver-in-win-xp.194210/
Relevancy 20.21%

Hello guys , I have a seagate external hard drive I dont know if its a TB or WD ? but it has a max capacity of 500gb. so here is the problem , the external drive shows that it occupies 295gb out of 500gb capacity but when I opened it , the files inside the drive does NOT shows up,I dont know if they are missing or something,and I dont know what is the real problem ..so ive tried to unhide it but nothing happened can you suggest some solutions to this problem ?, I really need the files inside the external drive , and I dont want to format it . thank you guys . ask me if there's a part you doesnt understand

A:Missing files

If the ext drive is drive E: then run CHKDSK E: /F /R

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/missing-files.191677/
Relevancy 20.21%

Hi all of you, I am pretty sure there is already a thread helping with this subject, but I have tried, and seems I am unable to do so. I am stuck with the error message on start up saying
C:\Users\Utilisateur\AppData\Roaming\avimg.dll unable to find the file.
I have use ccleaner, malawarebites, and few other things. Seems I have been able to delete the medfos.ca trojan, but now I am left with this message.

I have seen a thread, but been unable to do as they said. Anyone to help with this issue ?
( by the way, french speaking here )
Thanks

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/avimg-dll-missing.188915/
Relevancy 29.24%

Found an old works LT and am trying to rebuild it clean. Its an IBM thinkpad. There is no CD/DVD though I have one that plugs into the USB and a clean version of XP

1st problem it won't boot and stops, reporting error 0271 chk date and time settings followed by a screen with a padlock. Obviously this means I need a password but I don't know it and the company has gone away so can't ask.

I can get to boot set up by cntl+s but it won't let me change any of the settings.

The Access IBM button doesn't work either and stops at the above error.

I suspect that buying a new HD won't help, how can I change the bios settings back to manufacturers default.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/fixing-up-an-ibm-thinkpad-x32.188410/
Relevancy 20.21%

Good afternoon and thanks in advance Last week during a weird power surge in my house my PC started having difficulties and eventually with no warning the BIOS apparently reset itself to factory defaults So for about a week I was working through figuring out a Operating system is missing error However after finally getting missing Network adapter my BIOS set back up and realizing it switched me back to IDE from RAID I got the machine working and everything seemed to be ok except now I cannot connect to the internet When I go into device manager the only Network adapter missing two Network adapters listed are the ones that were created when i installed vmware software last year Prior to the BIOS issue I had no issues what so ever connecting to my home network and even trying to install Legacy devices doesn t bring up the Realtek network adapter the MoBo came with Any Network adapter missing suggestions Long story short After my computer being out of comission for a week after getting it back on my network adapter is missing and I cannot connect to the internet Thanks nbsp

A:Network adapter missing

Try restoring default bios settings then reconfigure your raid. Or disable the net adapter at the bios then boot windows, then reenable it at bios, again check device manager.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/network-adapter-missing.177957/
Relevancy 35.26%

daughter gave me Toshiba tablet,How do I go about changing the registration on it?

A:Transfer registration to new owner on Toshiba tablet

Call Toshiba support...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/transfer-registration-to-new-owner-on-toshiba-tablet.177782/
Relevancy 20.21%

I have an old HP NC6000 which I installed Windows 7 on. I can not get the SD card slot to work. At first it wouldn't see anything when I put a card in. After installing and un- installing several drivers from HP and Microsoft, now when I put a card in it shows up as being able to eject it If I want to. It does not show up in my computer as removable storage or any thing. I noticed in devise manager there is no SD host adapter listed. There is not even a heading for SD host adapter. The card works on my other laptop which is an NC6400. Do I need to install An SD host adapter?

A:Missing SD host adapter

"I have an old HP NC6000 which I installed Windows 7"...

There is probably no Windows 7 SD host adapter driver for this old laptop. Stick with XP

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/missing-sd-host-adapter.177171/
Relevancy 18.92%

Hi,

Restored laptop (Acer Aspire 5735, OS Windows Vista Home Basic 32 bit) to factory settings a few months ago and noticed that there was a lot of space being used up on C: drive even though I hadn't started installing programs and putting files back on to laptop.

Used SpaceSniffer to see where all the space was being used up and it only found the C: drive to have size of 38.1GB even though it should have 69.6GB. Also ran WinDirStat and that also said C: drive had size 38.1GB.

Any suggestions on why there seems to be 31.5GB missing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
thanks!

A:Missing hard drive space after restoring laptop to factory settings

"it should have 69.6GB"...
Is the drive 80GB unformatted? Did you format the drive when starting the restore? This is known as a "destructive" restore. If you didn't, it is possible that the old Vista files are still on the drive, along with the new files, taking up the space

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/missing-hard-drive-space-after-restoring-laptop-to-factory-settings.175311/
Relevancy 19.35%

Hey guys My internet provider has just recently been switched to Time Warner Cable They came by and hooked everything up to my desktop and my internet worked for that day The next day I had to call technical support and road runner services because my computer says I m connected but I m not sending nor receiving area Missing network connection and local controller any packets Road Runner took me through Device Manager where I noticed a big yellow question mark near Other Devices Network Controller Also after going through my Network Connections there s no Local Area Connection listed The techs responded that they couldn t help me unless I fixed my computer software I have already tried going through Computer Management and checking Plug And Play Services amp RPC Missing network controller and local area connection Services Any other suggestions are much appreciated I m currently working off of my laptop because I can t get online with my desktop Any requested information would just Missing network controller and local area connection be done by my usb flash Missing network controller and local area connection drive Thank you so much for your time nbsp

A:Missing network controller and local area connection

Open device manager. Uninstall those device with ? on them. Reinstall drivers for your network adapter.

What devices are listed under network adapter?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/missing-network-controller-and-local-area-connection.174762/
Relevancy 28.81%

IBM Thinkpad Series I 1200 (1161). Replaced the NiMH battery with Lithium Ion. Replaced the AC cord. When I look at Power Options, it says my battery is 3% charged. Won't run on either battery. Won't charge either battery. Will run with battery in or out. Ran fine many months ago with NiMH battery. Didn't use it for many months. Now the above problems. Any suggestions?

A:ThinkPad won't charge battery

You have to use the same type of laptop battery as the original battery. You might have damaged the charging circuits

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/thinkpad-wont-charge-battery.174177/
Relevancy 28.38%

I have been wanting to purchase the Thinkpad x120e, but I'm not sure if now is a good time, since it was released almost a year ago, and it is the first of it's kind to sport the new AMD e350 processor. I don't know if Lenovo plans on upgrading this soon (since it's been almost a year) and if it would be better to wait for the next gen of this class of non-netbook netbooks. I would like your input on this issue and what you predict for future releases. Thanks!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/thinkpad-x120e-buy-now-or-wait-for-future.172858/
Relevancy 20.21%

im running a dell optiplex L In the My Computer Im missing the CD drive the specs are as follows Specifications Dell OptiPlex L User s Guide Processor Processor type Intel Pentium and Intel Celeron design provides for future Dell-supported upgrades Level L cache KB or KB depending on your computer configuration Level L cache -KB -KB -KB or -MB depending on your computer configuration pipelined-burst eight-way CD drive missing set associative write-back SRAM Memory Type -MHz or -MHz DDR SDRAM NOTE DDR memory runs at MHz when configured with -MHz FSB processors NOTE DDR memory runs CD drive missing at MHz when configured with Pentium -MHz FSB processors Memory Architecture dual-channel DDR SDRAM Memory connectors Memory capacities - - -MB or -GB non-ECC Minimum memory MB single-channel mode MB dual-channel mode NOTE Between and MB of system memory may be allocated to support graphics depending on system memory size and other factors Maximum memory GB BIOS address F h Can anyone help me on this nbsp

A:CD drive missing

This is a fairly old computer. Optical (CD/DVD) drives fail after time. Replace the drive...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cd-drive-missing.171959/
Relevancy 27.95%

Model #2746
Please help!

[DDS log removed by Broni]

A:Webcam now ill not work on Lenovo Thinkpad SL500

Click Start, look in Programs for Webcam.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/webcam-now-ill-not-work-on-lenovo-thinkpad-sl500.172313/
Relevancy 20.21%

Hi there ive just started getting this problem with my pc,every time i try to connect to the net is closes internet explorer down,this just happened the last few days now i cant get on the net with that computer,it was doing it every now and again but now it is perminant,a message did appear saying no network devices have been found ?? also it says that i should enable my network adapter/ any suggestions will be grately appreaciated,i have tried my broadband provider and they say its not my modem,and that it is more lickly to be a IT problem.:grinthumb

A:Network adapter is missing

How are you connecting to the Internet
{cable vs dsl modem vs dial-up}?

who is your ISP?

What is the make/model of your Modem?

What is the version of Windows you are using {XP, Vista, Win7}?

The SP level of it?

The Edition { home, pro, starter, ultimate, ... }?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/network-adapter-is-missing.171560/
Relevancy 19.78%

So, my mom brought home this computer and I started it up, and it was brand new, like, operating system still not installed. So, I popped in the cd that was in a case that came with it [everything matching the system settings, etc.] and installed the operating system. So, I'm thinking: Huh, what luck! ...Wrong. I plugged in the Ethernet chord to connect it to the internet, and it's not even pulling up an LAN Icon. So, I go into Device Managers, and the Network Adapter is missing. So, I'm lost. Any of you smart people got any advice?

A:Ethernet plugged in, but LAN icon missing?

After you installed the operating system, did you install all of the drivers including the LAN driver?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ethernet-plugged-in-but-lan-icon-missing.170149/
Relevancy 19.78%

The drive has a 7.45 GB capacity and says it has 1.80 GB free. When I select all the folders in it there total size is 51.5 MB on disk (yes I remembered to show hidden files). I use to get the error that the disk is not working correctly and I clicked "fix and scan for bad sectors" and it did so and came back with no errors. It use to be used for ReadyBoost but I disabled that and I can't figure where all the space went

A:Missing space on USB flash drive

I'm not sure exactly what "Fix and scan for bad sectors" would do to a USB Flash drive since it's my understanding that it's a tool for mechanical hard disks only. If you haven't already I'd backup your data off of the USB flash drive and attempt a format of the memory.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/missing-space-on-usb-flash-drive.169485/
Relevancy 28.38%

Hey everyone,

I've been considering getting a Lenovo Thinkapd X120e to replace my old laptop. Need a lightweight laptop with good battery life for my classes. After looking over a couple reviews, I noted a sizable difference in what was reported for the laptop's temperatures. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the X120e getting "too hot"?

FYI: I won't be stressing the laptop much, mostly note-taking using Word or PowerPoint. Also some web surfing, video watching, or very light gaming if the class is particularly dull.

Specs: Planning on upgrading to the 1.6 GHz E-350, 320 GB 7200 rpm HDD, 4 GB of DDR3-1333, and 6-cell battery. Laptop comes with Windows 7 Pro, and I plan to add Ubuntu to it.

Any comments would be great, thanks!

A:Lenovo Thinkpad X120e temperatures

Excellent choice in a Netbook especially with what you want to do; your upgrades are right on. I personally don't have one (but am leaning towards purchasing one in early 2012) but I am also a member of Notebookreview.com (NBR) and there are many people there who own this system. Check out the Lenovo forum at NBR.

Also, check out TechSpot's own reviews of laptops/netbooks. We give it high marks as well and after doing my own research I have found Lenovo has the best build with the E-350.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/lenovo-thinkpad-x120e-temperatures.169120/
Relevancy 19.78%

Hi there I m inexperienced when a driver after network adapter Missing thunderstorm it comes to PC s so i apologise in advance After a recent thunderstorm my PC won t connect to the internet any Missing network adapter driver after a thunderstorm more I keep getting a message on the screen saying there is something wrong with my network adapter and i need to install the drivers I ve done some searching on forums for the last days and have tried lots of solutions but keep drawing a blank My motherboard is a Biostar A G M and the NIC is onboard I ve been running a bit version of Windows home premium for months which i upgraded from windows XP Below is a list of everything i ve tried already I ve checked BIOS to see if NIC is enabled which was o k I ve done a loop back test ping which came back packets sent and packets received There are lights on the NIC socket on the back of the tower green and orange There is no network adapter tab in device manager I can get this to appear by showing hidden devices but the onboard NIC isn t showing The chipset drivers which came with the motherboard are all for Windows XP so I ve downloaded what i thought was the correct chipset drivers for windows from Boistar Europe and installed them with no change I ve completely unplugged the tower for minutes and pressed the power on button to fully power down the tower as it as awake by LAN option in the BIOS with still no change Any suggestions would be appreciated Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Missing network adapter driver after a thunderstorm

Was theNIC protected from lightening by at least a surge protector.
lighting loves telephone modem lines and easy targets like that.
You have LEDs but if it isn't showing up in device manger it is probably gone. Good news is a new NIC is cheap and easy to replace.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/missing-network-adapter-driver-after-a-thunderstorm.169016/
Relevancy 19.35%

I'm missing the "local area connection" for a Dell Inspiron 1300 laptop. Hence, I cannot seem to connect to the net.

Anybody got any solutions?

Thanks in advance.

A:Local area connection missing, Dell Inspiron 1300

Is your wireless working? Go under your BIOS and see if the WiFi is enabled or functioning. Download any BIOS updates, WiFi drivers update an etc.. If all is done and you still have the issue. Buy USB WiFi NIC Dongle and test that and see if you can get LAN or WAN connection.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection-missing-dell-inspiron-1300.168709/
Relevancy 20.21%

When I open 'My Computer' there is no DriveD (Cd/Dvd drive) like before. I'm using Windows XP. Please help. Thanks in advance.

A:Missing CD/DVD drive

Back in the day's of me using Windows XP, sometimes this very thing would happen to me. For me the fix was simple, I would "refresh" the "my computer" window. Also on some of my clients computers, they would, for not knowing any better, instruct Windows to hide the drive, through it's properties. Just sounds like to me something has gone just slightly haywire and maybe all you need to do is a simple "system restore" to fix this, maybe back to a date that your CD Drive icon was showing.

A question before I go, if you were to stick a audio or data CD inside the CD-ROM drive does it work? If not, than maybe "connectivity" is the issue, answering the above question will help me maybe guide you better on fixing this issue!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/missing-cd-dvd-drive.166108/
Relevancy 20.21%

Hi all. I am a photographer. Usually I do all files back up. However this ones I didn't. I woke up in the morning and BUM. Files were no longer on my drive. I have not used the drive since then, but need to know what file recovery software would be the best to recover them?

RG

A:Recovering missing files

rgboy said:

Hi all. I am a photographer. Usually I do all files back up. However this ones I didn't. I woke up in the morning and BUM. Files were no longer on my drive. I have not used the drive since then, but need to know what file recovery software would be the best to recover them?

RGClick to expand...

u could try the program called recuva, u can dl it here http://download.cnet.com/Recuva/3000-2242_4-10753287.html and give it a shot =P

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/recovering-missing-files.165246/
Relevancy 29.24%

hi gang i am looking at a lenovo R500
the problem is it will start to boot get to the thinkpad screen and that is it.
i tried changing the ram
i took out the main battery and tried just booting from the AC
i cant get into the bios

thanks zag

A:Lenovo ThinkPad

First thing I would test is the hard drive, but as you cannot get into the Bios to change the boot order you will have to remove the drive and link it up to a desktop PC using a "Laptop Hard Drive Adapter". Then you can download the diagnostics for Windows from the manufacturers site listed below.

Have you tried to boot from the OS disc? Do you have Recovery Discs?

ExcelStor: http://www.excelstor.com/eng/support.php?sub_id=3

Hitachi/IBM: http://www.hitachigst.com/support/downloads/

Samsung: http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/support/downloads/support_in_es.html

Toshiba Fujitsu: http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=SoftwareUtilities#diagnostic

Seagate, Maxtor & Quantum:http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads

Western Digital:http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?lang=enClick to expand...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/lenovo-thinkpad.164036/
Relevancy 20.21%

Hi everyone I recived an ASUS PRO G laptop today from a friend in return for fixing his second missing component Laptop laptop he told me it show s an orange charge light and when he turns it on it show s the green lights for - second then it turns off and all the lights go out Another - seconds the charge light comes on again shortly after I didnt know what the problem was i assumed it most likely was out for the count well i got it home and right away gutted it It turns out that its a missing component that appears to have been ripped off the board the problem here is that i have no idea what it is So my question is can you please help me identify a component and find a replacement luckily the Laptop missing component legs for the missing component are kind of still there and so is some blue stuff that came off onto the board I have looked all over the board and came across this witch has the same legs and colour of blue on the bottom of the component it has IR written on it i was thinking that Laptop missing component it might be the same part can anyone tell me Laptop missing component what it is though I have attached picture s Thank you so much to anyone that can help or has any instight nbsp

A:Laptop missing component

look for OEM Power management tools. my Toshiba has a set to control
{standby (orange), hybernate (nothing), charging (green) }

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-missing-component.163798/
Relevancy 28.38%

Hi I have recently bought a new Thinkpad AC ADAPTER and a new cell battery to my quot Thinkpad T T60: charge! doesn't battery New ThinkPad quot notebook After i received them I pluged both new devices into the notebook but battery cant get charged Whenever i plug the new ac adapter to the notebook when is not turned on the lighst start blinking like orange battery and green litle plug lights appear after a second shuts and apear green batery and green litle plug and after a second just apears the litle green plug lightened this cycle continues until i take the plug ThinkPad T60: New battery doesn't charge! of adapter from the wall socket ehn I turn on the notebook with the ac adapter there is always a beeping going on like the notebook is switching on and off intermitently with some seconds between ThinkPad T60: New battery doesn't charge! the beeps Here first theres a orange light with a green light when the notebook is switched on but after a second appears a green battery light then lighs go off and start all again its very noisy I made two litle videos on cell phone i order for someone see whats happening when the notebook is turned off with ac adapter plugged and when is turned on with acadapter plugged AC ADAPTER PLUGGED WITH BATTERY amp NOTEBOOK OFF mediafire com rieyu uq zoz f AC ADAPTER PLUGGED WITH BATTERY amp NOTEBOOK ON mediafire com a fxsll nhcu I dont have the original lenovo software but windows so i dont have maintanance battery check software but the battery is new bought on eBay and carger new as weel bought on eBay as well The new ac adapter i bought details are P N p - FRU P PA - output V A W My old ac adapter details P N P - FRU P PA- - output V - A The Battery details are Cell Battery IBM LENOVO Thinkpad T Y Y The back of my thinkpad says output V- A Can someone tell me whats wrong with the notebook Is this normal to charge a new battery I left the notebbok charging a hole afternoon and didnt charge at all Hope anyone can help me Boto nbsp

A:ThinkPad T60: New battery doesn't charge!

Can you explain briefly what was happening that promted you to buy a new battery and AC adpter. Why did you think they both needed to be replaced?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/thinkpad-t60-new-battery-doesnt-charge.162571/
Relevancy 19.78%

Hi Forum I ve just re-built my desktop machine as its problem - vocals missing sound Wierd internals were years old and really showing their age quot New quot system is Asus mobo P C -e deluxe intel P GHz ati radeon xt vid card SB sound card Win XP Everything clapped Wierd sound problem - missing vocals together no bother so I started into some testing and hit this very strange sound problem Voices vocals are missing - actually they are there but VERY faint - you need full volume to make them out but if music is also there vocals are impossible to hear It s just as if there was a mid-range filter in operation - frequencies either side of voice range are normal There is also a bit of a reverb effect Sound system is a basic speaker system - always checked when doing tests i e no switched on I ve tried removing the sound card and using the on-board chip an Analog Devices AD device - no difference I ve tried different Win XP installations SP and SP - no difference I ve tried Win media player VLC media player and GOM media player - no difference I m running out of ideas here - anyone help with this Many thanks jrmch nbsp

A:Wierd sound problem - missing vocals

some more info

Hi forum,

Some more info on this problem.

Main item is that I when I play the .wma sound samples that come with xp, they come out perfectly. Also, when I stream .wma files they're playing perfectly.

However, mp3 files (from memory stick or streaming) sound all 'out of phase' - sort of all 'swishing around' and very weak vocals.

When I stream videos (You tube) sometimes there is audio (all strange of course) and sometimes none at all.

The fact that the system can play correctly (with the .wma files) tells me that the hardware is all OK along with the sound driver. Problem must surely lie with Codecs or ?

jrmch

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wierd-sound-problem-missing-vocals.162195/
Relevancy 28.81%

Hi,

I'm having a spot of bother with my thinkpad t40 and soundmax. I'm trying to have a line-in into the microphone-in port to record directly through a studio mixer but for some reason it's still recording through the voice mic on the laptop itself. I would have thought it would automatically cancel out the voice mic when you plug something in the mic-in port, like when you plug in headphones to something, it negates the sound from the speakers..

Is there any way to accomplish what I'm trying to. I have the soundmax drivers installed but also have installed the asio4all drivers as I have studio software on the laptop too..

I'm running xp pro btw..

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/thinkpad-t40-microphone-issues.161823/
Relevancy 19.78%

I'm using a Mac Pro (desktop) but running it exclusively in Windows XP 64-bit. Until recently, all 16 GB of RAM was working correctly. Now however only 8 GB of RAM shows up under system properties and DxDiag. However, CPU-Z from CPUID shows 8 slots of memory each with 2 GB (which is indeed what is loaded). Why is there this discrepancy and how can I make the machine use all of it again? Thanks.

A:Memory missing from system properties

Has the machine been moved? Even though some software is correctly reporting the memory it would be worthwhile opening it up and checking all the sticks of memory are firmly pushed down and correctly seated in the slots. I'd guess the different software has different methods of querying the system properties. Some might actually query the memory, others might just query what the bios reports which might register the ram details even if it isn't functioning properly.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/memory-missing-from-system-properties.159844/
Relevancy 35.69%

Hello all I got an XFX GB for Christmas and I am having some issues with it In Linux it works fine no screen glitches but in Windows While in dual monitor mode in windows I am getting strange effects on the nd monitor I have read that this is due to the power-saving feature within the card I tried the catalyst xml method to disable it owner, Not thread! need (new another clarification) 5870 and it doesn t work I don t want to flash it because it will void my warranty I have a question though I plan to run this card with three screens in eyefinity spanning mode does anyone on here have that setup and still experience Not another 5870 thread! (new owner, need clarification) screen flicker or any other issues I am thinking that three s will be enough to keep the card in D mode but I am not sure Not another 5870 thread! (new owner, need clarification) Are Not another 5870 thread! (new owner, need clarification) there other methods to disable the power saving feature on this card Im thinking that it is actually a driver issue simply because linux does not do the same flickering Thanks nbsp

A:Not another 5870 thread! (new owner, need clarification)

The problem is most likely the 2D (normal desktop 157MHz/300MHz) clocks set too low to drive two/three screens.

If you are using Catalyst Control Centre, click on the "ATI Overdrive" tab and uncheck "Enable ATI Overdrive" - this of course means no overclocking unless you use a third party utility such as MSI Afterburner -You may also need to create two seperate profiles for this ( 2D and 3D).
If unchecking Overdrive does not work for you then the other option, as you seem to be aware, is to flash (or have flashed) the cards' BIOS to enable the Powerplay function to operate correctly. Most card vendors will send you links for utilities (or the utilities themselves- ATI flash, new BIOS, HP's bootable USB/CD/DVD tool) with detailed instruction on how to flash the BIOS which would save you time, expense and down time from a direct RMA - flashing the BIOS yourself is covered by warranty if the vendor sanctions its use.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/not-another-5870-thread-new-owner-need-clarification.158805/
Relevancy 19.78%

I have a weird problem Here are the specs Computer A - Intel Quad Core GHz - Win bit Computer B - Intel Pentium GHz - Win bit - Shared drive - no password Network - gigabit wired Same workgroup on both computers Mapped the drive from computer B on computer A as Z drive When transfering let s say files let s say mp s from computer A to Z drive computer B it only transfers about - files At this time if I refresh the folder containing the - files on the mapped drive it will eventually show two more files If I select all files again and try to transfer them to the same location it will prompt my that some files are already there After clicking on quot do not copy quot Missing mapped after a to a files transfer drive it will copy another - files to the shared drive after a refresh to the folder on shared drive there are - more files I can t seem to figure out why this is happening I tried Missing files after a transfer to a mapped drive from another computer win bit via wireless and it never does that to the same mapped drive Any suggestions nbsp

A:Missing files after a transfer to a mapped drive

No ideas? Am I the only one with this issue?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/missing-files-after-a-transfer-to-a-mapped-drive.155077/
Relevancy 28.38%

I am presently researching to purchase a laptop for my wife at Christmas who is a teacher thus she will need to access the internet, do Office work, grading, emails, research, etc., but no gaming at all.

Will be running 7 64 OS, with 4 gigs of RAM, and hopefully a 7200 rpm hd. Leaning towards the i5 processor.

The Thinkpad Edge is part of Lenovo's excellent T Series but somewhat less expensive. Looking at current configurations it seems it will deliver what I am looking for but I know nothing of the quality build.

Would love to hear back from people who have used this series and/or from ITs who repair laptops for their insights.

Thanks!

A:Lenovo's Thinkpad Edge: Looking for Advice

Hard to say not knowing the exact model number.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/lenovos-thinkpad-edge-looking-for-advice.155153/
Relevancy 20.21%

Whenever I start up my computer, i get an error message,

"ERROR LOADING WINMPA32.ROM....THE SPECIFIED MODULE COULD NOT BE FOUND"

How do i resolve the issue

A:Missing ROM files?

Blaze, can you make sure you are giving us the exact spelling because there is absolutely nothing on the whole internet concerning WINMPA32.ROM.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/missing-rom-files.147839/
Relevancy 20.21%

Great site thanks guys. don't know if this is of use but here goes anyway.
Purchased 500 gig internal laptop drive, fitted it inside a usb case, plugged it in, windows confirmed new hardware found etc, went to my computer, it wasn't there.
Scratched head for a while, opened device manager which informed me the drive was working correctly, disabled and re enabled the drive, still not there.
Brainwave : Opened EASEUS partition master, the drive was listed as disk 2, I partitioned and formatted it and gave it a drive letter.
Went back to my computer and there it was.
This saved me a trip to the computer shop and a bill.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/missing-drive-found.153641/
Relevancy 20.21%

After formatting mu computer my CDROM does not show up in My computer or on desktop. However it is working properly and shows up in the BIOS. There's no "!" or "?" in Device Manager and its there.

However in all the fixes that take me to the bit about lower and upper filter values, they do not appear in the line they are supposed to.

I run XP. I also tried that applicacion called dvdunhide and nothing happened.
Please help!

A:My CDROM icon is missing

1.) Did you install the drivers for your CD drive?
2.) Does it auto-play anything when you put a disk in?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-cdrom-icon-is-missing.153203/
Relevancy 29.24%

Hello I have a IBM thinkpad,that is several years old 2002 i think, and it will not turn on all it does is the screen will light up all the lights but the harddrive light will come on and not fans will come on ether. i belive it has windows 2000 but i am not sure because i have never seen it on. my aunt gave it to me because she needs some school files off it(word docs and stuff) I have opened it and cuold find nothing wrong exept for the fact that the cpu did not heat up at all.the graphics chip on the other hand got so hot that it burned my finger. please help i dont know what to do. any suggestions would be appreciated.
thanks

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ibm-thinkpad-a31-not-powering-up.151562/
Relevancy 20.21%

Hi, My computer has 320 gb hd., I add/installed new 1tb hard disk, and it's working normally, i save all downloaded movies and music in that hd. until the problem came, the icon suddenly disappeared, i looked in the disk management and it's not there, i reboot to see if it will detected but still no luck..i removed the connection of that 1tb hd, but the system did not boot up.. what could be the possible reason and solution for this problem...

thank you very much...

A:Missing hard drive

The hard drive could have failed suddenly (It happens, but rarely), or a loosely inserted cable came loose. Cables are notorious for failure as they age and components shrink in dry air or heat. Then it can be an infestation, or Windows error... or heat related issues.
It could also be a failing power supply where one section continues to work, causing the fan to blow air, but the power to the drive or board is dead in some way.
First test would be to unplug and reseat all cables. Then trying another drive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/missing-hard-drive.150551/
Relevancy 27.95%

Hello I have a IBM Think Pad T laptop with Win XP sp installed and i don IBM No drivers installed,ThinkPad T42 updated all and are labtop sound t have any audio I use to have win but then one day after turning the PC off i got en error message no ADI codec is installed i tried everything and nothing worked i also looked it up on Google they know it at and No sound and all updated drivers are installed,ThinkPad IBM T42 labtop i see cases like this No sound and all updated drivers are installed,ThinkPad IBM T42 labtop but no results and top of that most of the people don t have there drivers i do and win is telling me that its working fin so i seed its win that s when i installed win XP and the same issue came up only this time i was able to get the error code off now win claims that every things working fine but i still don t have audio I got a DxDiag No sound and all updated drivers are installed,ThinkPad IBM T42 labtop attached for better assistance Please HELP If any more info is needed then please feel free to ask PS im new at this nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-sound-and-all-updated-drivers-are-installed-thinkpad-ibm-t42-labtop.148633/
Relevancy 20.21%

i have a toshiba satellite L305-S5919, i cant find anything that can help me either re-install the driver or card not sure what it is, or anthing to maybe update what i might have.

i also currently cant get internet on that computer and am using my sisters right now. i have been downloading and saving to mem. card then installing on the other computer.

anything would be helpful and greatly appreciated!!

thx in advance

A:My vga graphics adapter is missing

there are known issues with this laptop and Nvidia graphics processors installed on them. You need to take the laptop to someone capable of circuit board level repairs as in many cases the chip will have to be re-flowed.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-vga-graphics-adapter-is-missing.147983/
Relevancy 20.21%

Hi all well i have a job in i did an image drive so i have files on a good drive.
but here is the problem it is telling me the files are empty ???? i know 100% that the files had data on
it is a seagate 1tb 7200.12 so tell me what is the deal is it a segate thing do i have to get the segate startup working
do the files have coding at the start?

A:Data missing on Seagate 1TB

The 7200.11 and the 7200.12 have had some serious issues. A shame too because I'm running two Seagate 250 gig harddrives and they have been great.

Check out this link I read just yesterday: http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2068653

I would contact Seagate immediately and let them know of this issue and you want it "fixed." keep us up-to-date.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/data-missing-on-seagate-1tb.146183/
Relevancy 28.81%

Hi everybody I have a problem with an IBM Thinkpad T laptop It started a while back while I was playing Flight Simulator X demo Suddenly the airplane and the sky got weird green patchy lines it might be important to note that the main problem was the airplane and sky I think the ground was pretty much fine I thought it was a problem with the game but then I went back to windows and It had strange lines on the screen too The lines on the screen are mostly very small vertical dotted lines While I am writing now I have difficulty viewing the text because there are small pink lines around the words What can it be Some more details on startup on the windows T42 screen Thinkpad IBM on Lines loading screen and on the bios screen the lines are much worse After logging on it s not all over but mostly around icons when viewing a picture the picture itself only has lines around the edge but the main part is fine from what I have seen This laptop is about yrs old by now so I don t know maybe it s just giving out Anyway I would be gratefull for any help I have tried installing the drivers again but it says it can t install the ATI driver so anyway Thanks thehobbitech nbsp

A:Lines on IBM Thinkpad T42 screen

since it's a laptop i want to say the GPU is overheating (very common) or the screen itself is going bad, unless BIOS or POST screen is clear of artifacts. you can try uninstalling the current display drivers first and then installing the latest set. if that doesn't help with the artifacting you could very well be looking at faulty video memory and thus it may be new time for a new laptop. 5 years is a decent lifespan...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/lines-on-ibm-thinkpad-t42-screen.145806/
Relevancy 19.78%

HI

I have a dell dimension 3100 and it's using a Sigmatel High Definition Audio Codec.

I have had several unsuccessful attempts at resolving a problem with it.

Some time ago some of the windows components associated with it such as the audio mixer and volume control (that I think were in the accessories menu) have disappeared...

When I go into my system devices I can't change anything from here either as it says I don't have the software or certain files installed on the machine and i need to reinstall them from 'add/remove windows components' but they are not listed there.

I can't find any downloads or driver updates to replace them.

Any ideas?

Thanks

A:Missing windows components from Sigmatel driver?

just stumbled across your post... Are you still having the problem?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/missing-windows-components-from-sigmatel-driver.143546/
Relevancy 19.35%

My Sony VGC RB38G runs Windows Media Center 2005 Xp, the hdd is orginal still, and is fuctioning yet and is only 250GB. I bought a 500GB Seagate Barracuda and used the Seatools to Clone, yet it will not start. I can see it in My Computer as drive F and I can see in the BIOS.

Any help here???

A:Cloning a hdd in XP new drive gets message Missing Operating System

So you cloned the 250GB to 500GB. So does the 500GB have XP on it or are you just using it as a additional storage. You might want to do that. Leave the 250GB as the Primary C: then have the 500GB as archive media storage. There you can have all your music, pictures, music for Media Center 2005. This way you don't have to clone the HDD.

C: 250GB (OS/Programs/MCE)
D: 500GB (Media)
E: DVD/CD

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cloning-a-hdd-in-xp-new-drive-gets-message-missing-operating-system.144759/
Relevancy 19.35%

Hi folks My Lenovo Athlon desktop came with Windows XP Home installed on a drive that has the EISA recovery partition Later I installed Vista Home Premium on two other HDDs I have in the desktop Now in order to do a clean install of bit Windows I need to clean boot the system from the Windows installation CD but my desktop won t boot from CD DVD RW drive I changed BIOS startup sequence to have the CD drive first follows from w/EISA Desktop Can't partition: boot missing CD, NTLDR by the primary HDD containing XP which is on the disk that has the EISA the CD light comes on at bootup and it starts spinning but then the light goes off and system shows the normal bootup OS selection screen showing all the OS s available to boot from and asking me select one Then I also tried removed the primary XP drive Desktop w/EISA partition: Can't boot from CD, NTLDR missing from the BIOS startup sequence so that the CD is the only drive there now upon bootup again the CD lights up and starts spinning as earlier but then I get quot NTLDR is missing press ctrl alt del to restart quot I have tried the Windows CD on another laptop and that booted fine and showed me the Windows install screen - so the CD is definitely bootable I have also verified all jumpers cables etc and they seem to be okay Would appreciate any help with this issue Is my CDDVD drive bad i e unbootable Or is the EISA partition the culprit nbsp

A:Desktop w/EISA partition: Can't boot from CD, NTLDR missing

"then I get "NTLDR is missing, press ctrl+alt+del to restart"...

This message means that the computer is still "looking" for a boot hard drive, and not an optical drive. You should see "boot from a CD/DVD, press any key" message. The boot device selection is still incorrect. Make sure the bios detects the Optical Drive(s) correctly

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/desktop-w-eisa-partition-cant-boot-from-cd-ntldr-missing.142803/
Relevancy 19.78%

Correct me if I'm wrong

(Working with old computer, getting it to work)
I was having problems with re-installing Windows XP and SP1-3 updates, and connecting to internet.and getting DNS errs.
Went into ipconfig, and had no default gateway

So, I eventually found my way to windows error reports,doing a search:
for "setuperr"

Turns out the "computer name" had errors in it with non-allowed characters.
Went into Control Panel, clicked on System, did the fix.
No underlines, etc. allowed

Looking into setuperr logs is really helpful, dont ya think?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/missing-default-gateway-dns-server.142171/
Relevancy 33.97%

Hi this is my first time using this site It is just that I ran into some problem whilst using my Toshiba laptop - Satellite M You know this one has the biosecurity thingy - fingerprint log-on The thing is that sometime ago my laptop got turned off suddenly for no apparent reason and from then when I try to start it it prompts me with the fingerprint before I get on I enrolled my finger prints and password initially but I dont really use it hence it is somehow deactivated I did not find these particularly useful rather found them quite annoying because sometimes they dont really read my finger prints well enough Apparently you have only tries And guess what I got locked out and it wont let me use the pc coz it automatically shuts itself off Now my tech savvy bro once came at my rescue and de-activated it by dong some thing at the back of the laptop - instruction from tech savvy ppl from internet Trouble is that my bro is away overseas for long time and I really need to get that trick coz God knows when I might get locked out I dont really fancy the idea that the laptop outsmarts me in any future coz it has all my lifetime data and info So anyone has ever had similar experience and knows the trick Much appreciated nbsp

A:Toshiba Satellite M100 Fingerprint error

I have never had to deal with any finger print scanner before but have you tried taking the battery out and holding down the power button for a few seconds that should cycle the system firmware. Its a shot in the dark but it might work and wont hurt anything.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/toshiba-satellite-m100-fingerprint-error.141984/
Relevancy 28.38%

Hi, I would like to know if there are ways to repair a Thinkpad x200 keyboard without replacing it. It has sustained a water spill and the T, Y and Backspace buttons have not been functioning since. The keyboard?s circuit board is not easily accessible because it?s sealed with glue by the top layer which holds the buttons in place

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/disassembling-a-thinkpad-x200-keyboard.141900/
Relevancy 19.35%

After considerable time and effort, I managed at last to find the correct Sound Max driver for this machine. The history is: Bought a used machine Compaq EVO d310, for personal and not technical reasons I must use Win2k O/S, HP does not provide drivers for Win2k Only for XP. When I finally got the right driver, at the next boot I received an alert "No adi codec driver found". In the device manager, all audio functions display as working properly. Now what???

A:Missing adi codec - sound devices sd1891-a -win2k

For personal reasons? Almost all Windows computers can run XP now. This is a laptop? You can use a USB sound device on it. Here is an example:
USB Audio Device

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/missing-adi-codec-sound-devices-sd1891-a-win2k.139831/
Relevancy 20.21%

Hey everyone,

I am currently using a PC and I use an Iomega 1TB external hard drive to hold my Mp3's so they dont slow down my computer. Well the other day I went on to my ITUNES and tried to play music but it all was missing. I then Checked the file on my Hard Drive and all of the folders were there, but the Mp3s were missing. The folders would contain the album art and whatnot but none od the MP3s were in any folder.

This collection is pretty much priceless to me so any help getting them back would be great!

A:6500 MP3's Missing on External HD

You might try file recovery software like Recuva

If you want to be extremely cautious, you might want to first create a sector-by-sector "clone" of your drive so you can preserve it's current state (because some recovery procedures can modify the drive as it attempts recovery) but that would require you have another large drive to store the clone copy. EASUS disk copy can create the clone for you

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/6500-mp3s-missing-on-external-hd.139803/
Relevancy 19.35%

Hi guys,

I've accidentally reset my bios and now whenever I boot it says "missing operating system"! I have an Alienware Aurora and I really don't want to reinstall the whole os... please help is there a way I can get it back??

A:Accidently reset BIOS.. missing operating system help

Running Bios Setup Defaults should not have done that
Unless you have your Windows system drive not connected internally in the right spot?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/accidently-reset-bios-missing-operating-system-help.139577/
Relevancy 19.78%

Hello all, first time poster although i often come to the boards to find solutions. You'll have to bare with me as I'm not that computer savvy (even though i think i am). Basically I have a Fujistu Esprimo Mobile v5505. I got fed up of Vista and thought i would install my old XP pro. I partitioned my drive and installed XP, i then formatted the drive that Vista was on. I came back and when i turned on my computer i got the NTLDR is missing error, now i would be able to deal with this but I cant even enter the bios to change boot options (which were set to flash, cd, HD). Before I fiddled with my laptop I had the options on the Fujitsu load up screen to enter BIOS/change boot options etc not anymore. I hope someone can shed some light on this matter.

Cheers

Jason

A:NTLDR Missing + Can't access bios

well, if ur post happens too fast for u to see anything on the screen u can try to press the pause button on the keyboard
If it displays only the logo but not the post summary, try pressing esc key several times or try to hold down a key or you can also try different keys like (del, f10, f2,) etc.
I hope this helps

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ntldr-missing-cant-access-bios.139172/
Relevancy 20.64%

I have the Asus Rampage II MOBO which allows up to 12 GB of triple channel RAM. I had 6 2GB Chips of OCZ Platinum installed.

A few days ago My computer's CPU fan Stopped working and the emergency alarm went off. I was able to fix that by installing the stock fan my CPU came with.

When I booted it back up however In bios and in windows it only displays that I have 8GB of RAM. I tried reinstalling them to make sure they were set right and tried moving them around but still only 8GB.

Is there anything I can do to get them working? Am I missing something?

Thanks for your help.

A:Missing RAM?

Try running Bios defaults

This settings area can be called:
Bios Setup
CMOS Settings
System Setup
even just Setup
You can enter it by pressing the keyboard key that is displayed on your screen when first turning on your computer
Its sometimes:
A Fn Button like F1, or F2, or F10 or some other Fn key
DEL key
(whatever the computer states on screen when you first turn on your computer)
Once in Bios Setup, locate Setup Defaults (sometimes called Optimized Defaults)
Apply it, then Save and Exit Bios Settings (which is usually F10, but it will tell you in the Bios Settings screen)

If that doesn't help try 1 Ram card at a time, seeing if you first get 2Gig on your first Ram card
Continue on (shutting down each time) until you find the possible Ram at fault

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/missing-ram.138117/
Relevancy 18.92%

I tried to find the link to introduce myself, and couldnt. I am not very technically advanced. My laptop (its an older one with windows xp operating system home) (my new one was stolen and I am quite depressed about it) now this problem.
I am using my sons laptop now.

I do not have any discs but blank ones. Can someone halp me? My computer will not start, it just displays that message, and when i press f8, safe mode and everything comes up but it never does anything

A:Compaq 2700 <Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl. exe is missing or corrupt

The hard drive (boot drive) is bad or its contents are corrupted. With no discs, you might want to take it to a friend or to a repair shop to have it repaired

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/compaq-2700-windows-root-system32-ntoskrnl-exe-is-missing-or-corrupt.137562/
Relevancy 20.21%

I have a HP desktop with Windows XP that I attempted to install a Linksys wireless router to. Prior to installing my internet, which is through cable modem, was working fine. After attempting to install, I was no longer able to connect to the internet and the IP address on my 1394 connection was gone. It says connected and when I go under properties for it shows a blank spot where the IP address is supposed to be. I clicked repair but it says "TCP/IP is not enabled for this connection". I also have a Local Area connection 3 and a Local area connection 4 both state Limited or no connectivity. The 4 is VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter and the 3 is Intel 21041-Based PCI Ethernet Adapter. I no longer have the Linksys router and am just trying to get back on internet with that computer. Can anyone help me try to re-establish an IP address?

A:Missing IP address

Do you actually have a network adapter attached to your Firewire (the IEEE 1394) connector?. I'm guessing not and guessing you never had an IP address there

More likely you have network adapters on your Ethernet ports (which are what the other LAN connections you see are referring to)

Click Start->Run, then copy/paste the command line below.
Code:
cmd /c ipconfig /all > "%userprofile%\desktop\ipconfig.txt"
The command will put an ipconfig.txt file on your desktop. Please attach it to your next post

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/missing-ip-address.137457/
Relevancy 28.38%

Finally got it to boot up and received ...071 cmos battery bad message....070 real time clock error...and memory good message.

So would the cmos be causing the machine to not boot?

The main battery is reading fully charged.

I thought I saw a 1411 service manual somewhere online in order to locate the cmos.
Anyone know the online location of this manual. (possibly at Lenovo?)

Once a cmos is installed can I just start the computer as normal or do I have to go into bios and do something before that happens?

Thanks

A:Update Thinkpad 1411 not booting

Replace the CMOS battery, then set the bios to default settings. Reset the date and time... The CMOS battery has nothing to do with the main laptop battery. Is this laptop older than 4 years?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/update-thinkpad-1411-not-booting.131670/
Relevancy 19.35%

Hello and thank you in adance.
I am reinstalling XP on my Dell XPS 600 (had ubuntu but need Windows again) and at the onset of the install XP gives me an error that it cant detect my HD (I lost the original XP reinstall CD).
No problem got the drivers from Dell"s tech support site. Extracted the files onto floppy drive but now during the install XP is missing some txtsetup.oem file...Dell wants me to renew warranty fro $150 bwfore they help.
Any ideas where i can find this file?

Thax again

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/maxtor-7v250f0-250gb-sata-3-0gb-missing-txtsetup-oem.137002/
Relevancy 19.35%

Hello everybody I m new here and I found a lot of useful information already However I am at a loss as to how I can solve this problem It boot Attempted from Missing SATA NTLDR drive, is similar to other problems yet not quite I will explain First my specs Custom Built Unit Cooler Master Casing ASUS M A -T MoBo Dual Core Attempted boot from SATA drive, NTLDR Missing - MoBo has one slot for IDE and the rest is SATA gig Seagate Barracuda SATA HDD s Initially set as slaves gig Attempted boot from SATA drive, NTLDR Missing Seagate IDE HDD initially set as master Now that we have that bit of information taken care of here s the issue My gig IDE showed signs of imminent failure I had no money to buy another hard drive immediately so I partitioned one of my g hard drives and re-installed on that one I currently use this new installation which is D instead of C I attempted to remove the IDE drive and kept receiving an NTLDR missing press ctrl alt del to restart error After doing some researching here and other places I discovered that this shows up when trying to load from a non-bootable device and that Windows by default loads the NTLDR file into the C drive and if unable to find it will not know what to do I wanted to name the drive to the new partition quot C quot but of course there was already a drive with that letter so I had to go with quot D quot Do i have to change the drive letter to quot C quot If so will all of my program installations files etc - reflect that change I don t want to leave this bad drive in my PC because when it fails and you know it will I don t want the rest of my system dependent upon it you know Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks guys n gals nbsp

A:Attempted boot from SATA drive, NTLDR Missing

Your 750G is not bootable thus the NTLDR missing error.

More info on how you partitioned your 750G HDD. Download PARTINFO, extract and run. Post screenshot.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/attempted-boot-from-sata-drive-ntldr-missing.136515/
Relevancy 27.95%

I m running a lenovo T thinkpad and it s relatively new - that is I bought it last winter - but recently I ve been having what seems to be a hardware problem Or at least that s what the guys over in the Virus and Malware removal section are telling me Because from time to time my laptop has decided it s just going to go shut T500 Random Thinkpad: downs? Lenovo ahead and shut itself down Completely No lights no Lenovo T500 Thinkpad: Random shut downs? nothing - pressing the power button doesn t do anything I almost always have it plugged into a socket and that light won t show either - I ve found that taking the battery out of the laptop and Lenovo T500 Thinkpad: Random shut downs? letting it sit for a little before putting the battery back in usually gets the laptop to work again It s only happened recently but it s happened twice in the past week - which is a little more than bothersome since Lenovo T500 Thinkpad: Random shut downs? the antivirus I have runs a full scan when it happens I ve noticed that my laptop gets a little hot - not too hot that I can t touch it - but as far as I know I ve never had a problem with overheating or anything similar which leaves me in the dark about this entire thing I m really hoping that this doesn t turn out to be a hardware problem I should still be on warranty but I m a little - okay that s a lie I m pretty damn - scared to try and open up my laptop and fiddle with anything Hope this is enough information for someone out there to give me some sort ve idea of what s going on - and maybe how I could go about fixing this Thanks so much in advance guys nbsp

A:Lenovo T500 Thinkpad: Random shut downs?

Hi

Under warranty = dont mess with it

send it back under the warranty and report the issue.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/lenovo-t500-thinkpad-random-shut-downs.136534/
Relevancy 29.24%

i have a ibm thinkpad. im haveing trouble with it startingup and staying on. i kno it needs a battery. but, it does the same thing if i use the power cord. sometimes it will come on and stay for maybe 15 min and sometime it wont come back on till it set for a min.

A:Thinkpad

Which Thinkpad is it? Most models are remarkably reliable.
They don't like a lot of dust, lint and fibre in the colling channels...
The usual cause of the signs and symptoms you describe is a bad hard drive, or abad power socket.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/thinkpad.134579/
Relevancy 19.78%

I am looking for a driver for a webcam i got for christmas a few years back i just found it and i cant seem to find any information or drivers for it maybe someone on here knows its a camera shaped like a dragon it looks like its made of some kind of hard ceramic the dragon is wrapped around the actual quot camera quot part of for driver webcam name/manufacturer Missing and a the device i found a picture that Missing name/manufacturer and driver for a webcam looks a lot like it but mine stands taller and its blue the eyes of the dragon glow red Missing name/manufacturer and driver for a webcam i do remember when the camera is on the only other information i can find on it is on the bottom it has a sticker stuck to it it reads quot AP- NWB Dragon PC Camera quot and the barcode but of course i cannot find any manufacturers with the name or initials of NWB nor can i find any information on the model number listed above it wont let me put the link to the picture on the post so please if anyone can help me it would be appreciated thanks nbsp

A:Missing name/manufacturer and driver for a webcam

Have you seen this thread in the Device Drivers forum?: http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic123880.html

BTW, don't take this the wrong way but a little punctuation would make your post much more readable.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/missing-name-manufacturer-and-driver-for-a-webcam.133419/
Relevancy 19.78%

Ok here s the deal I woke up yesterday morning and turned on my laptop and I noticed that everything was running a little now manager missing? was boot PC slow, slow and a lot was freezing up It s gotten progressively worse and even Windows Task Manager says Not Responding Now here s the worst part I was trying to download the free AVG virus protection software since my Symantec expired I figured it must be a virus spyware malware trojan whatever I had a the Windows malware thing running and then everything just stopped Explorer AVG Malicious Software Removal everything quit so I tried to open Task Manager and it wouldn t work So i shut down my comp and now when I try to restart it no luck it says that it failed to restart and gives me options to open Command Prompt or do System Restore I have no restore points and I can t find the system restore disk I ve only had this comp since december and I don t know what went so terribly wrong Please help nbsp

A:PC was slow, now boot manager missing?

you're going to have to either get a new manufacturer disk or buy a copy of the OS to install.

if you still have issues, then it's hardware related.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-was-slow-now-boot-manager-missing.132507/
Relevancy 29.24%

well yesterday i put my laptop on standby mode, and i moved it around then i tried to wake it up and nothing, the only thing that lights up is the circle with the z inside and the wireless antenna, i hear the hdd running and the fan also, but no beebs or anything happends, please i need serious help with this matter, thanks scott

A:IBM Thinkpad g40 need help

Remove the battery and the AC adapter. Hold the power button for 30 seconds. Reinstall the battery and AC adapter... Try turning on the laptop once more

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ibm-thinkpad-g40-need-help.132231/
Relevancy 20.21%

Hello folks,

My problem is that my DVD-ROM drive on my laptop is missing. It is not showing up in Device Manager either. I tried Microsoft's fix by removing the lowpass and highpass filters in the registry. This worked for a few minutes and I could use my DVD-ROM drive but soon I had the same problem again. I formated and reinstalled the OS (running vista). My DVD-ROM drive was working again, only for a few minutes then it was gone again. I downloaded the latest drivers from Acer and again, my drive was working. After I ran some windows updates, my DVD-ROM drive disappeared again. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions to a permanent fix.

Thanks!
Antil0ck

A:DVD-ROM drive is missing

If it is more than a year old, or if it has had a lot of use, it may have burned out. Some of the little devices inside do burn out like a bulb, and other things go awry as they age.
We find that once they begin to fail, you are out of luck.
Keep your old one, as new drives may not have all the exterior hardware... and you can save money by buying a basic unit, then adding on the framework, sliders, etc., yourself.
We recommend Teac and Toshiba, followed by Plextor, LG and Samsung. Most of our clients have terrible luck with Sony, HP, HLDS or HL, and the other 87 makers.
We may, perhaps, be alble to help if you give us the brand and model of the laptop, as well as age, operating system, and hardware configuration.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dvd-rom-drive-is-missing.131593/
Relevancy 19.78%

My friend had made my computer and he moved away so i cant ask him anything i dont know what happened to my sound device i dont have a cd and i forgot what it was called Computer PC- B A FA PC-CorleoneKJ Generator kurt Operating Missing Audio Controller Multimedia System Microsoft Windows XP Professional WinXP Retail Date - - Time -------- Summary ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Computer Computer Type Missing Multimedia Audio Controller ACPI Uniprocessor PC Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional OS Service Pack TRIAL VERSION Internet Explorer IE DirectX DirectX c Computer Name PC- B A FA PC-CorleoneKJ User Name kurt Logon Domain TRIAL VERSION Date Time - - Motherboard CPU Type Intel Pentium MHz x Motherboard Name Gigabyte GA- SD PCI AGP SDR DIMM Audio Motherboard Chipset SiS System Memory TRIAL VERSION BIOS Missing Multimedia Audio Controller Type Award Modular Communication Port Communications Port COM Communication Port Communications Port COM Communication Port Printer Port LPT Display Video Adapter RAGE PRO Ultra GL AGP Microsoft Corporation MB D Accelerator ATI Rage Pro AGP X Monitor ViewSonic VA w- quot LCD QN Multimedia Audio Adapter SigmaTel STAC SiS Audio Device CPU Intel Core Penryn No Intel Pentium Chipset Intel GM GM GS PM No SiS WLAN Intel WiFi Link Series No System Centrino Compliant No -------- Sensor ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ RasAcd Remote Access Auto Connection Driver rasacd sys Kernel Driver Running Rasl tp WAN Miniport L TP rasl tp sys Kernel Driver Running RasPppoe Remote Access PPPOE Driver raspppoe sys Kernel Driver Running Raspti Direct Parallel raspti sys Kernel Driver Running Rdbss Rdbss rdbss sys File System Driver Running RDPCDD RDPCDD RDPCDD sys Kernel Driver Running rdpdr Terminal Server Device Redirector Driver rdpdr sys Kernel Driver Running RDPWD RDPWD Kernel Driver Stopped redbook Digital CD Audio Playback Filter Driver redbook sys Kernel Driver Running ROOTMODEM Microsoft Legacy Modem Driver RootMdm sys Kernel Driver Running rt Ralink n USB Wireless LAN Card Driver rt sys Kernel Driver Stopped RT D-Link DWA- Wireless G USB Adapter Driver rt sys Kernel Driver Stopped RTL xp Realtek PCI NIC Family NDIS XP Driver Rtnicxp sys Kernel Driver Running Secdrv Secdrv secdrv sys Kernel Driver Running serenum Serenum Filter Driver serenum sys Kernel Driver Running Serial Serial port driver serial sys Kernel Driver Running Network adapters Belkin Wireless G USB Network Adapter - Symantec Network Security Miniport Belkin Wireless G USB Network Adapter Direct Parallel D-Link DWA- Wireless G USB Adapter - Symantec Network Security Miniport D-Link DWA- Wireless G USB Adapter Realtek RTL Family Gigabit Ethernet NIC - Symantec Network Security Miniport Realtek RTL Family Gigabit Ethernet NIC WAN Miniport IP - Symantec Network Security Miniport WAN Miniport IP WAN Miniport L TP WAN Miniport PPPOE WAN Miniport PPTP -------- Device Resources -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- DMA Exclusive Standard floppy disk controller DMA Exclusive Direct memory access controller IRQ Exclusive System timer IRQ Exclusive Communications Port COM IRQ Exclusive Communications Port COM IRQ Exclusive Standard floppy disk controller IRQ Exclusive System CMOS real time clock IRQ Shared Multimedia Audio Controller IRQ Shared Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System IRQ Exclusive MPU- Compatible MIDI Device IRQ Exclusive PS Compatible Mouse IRQ Exclusive Numeric data processor IRQ Exclusive Primary IDE Channel IRQ Exclusive Secondary IDE Channel IRQ Shared RAGE PRO Ultra GL AGP Microsoft Corporation IRQ Shared Realtek RTL Family Gigabit Ethernet NIC IRQ Shared SiS PCI to USB Open Host Controller nbsp

A:Missing Multimedia Audio Controller

In your listing, the Multimedia device is your Sound Device.
This may be your driver... http://www.bioticaindia.com/sigmatel-stac9721-23.html

What I would like for you to do is this...
First
Go to Start -> My Computer and RIght Click.
Click on Properties.
Click on Device Manager.
Scan down through the list...
Do you see any red x, or yellow circles (or yellow triangles) with Exclamation Marks?
(it would probably be in the section called "Sound, Video, and Game:.

If there are no issues here....

Second... Double Check your speakers...
Are they attached to your sound card (and plugged into the correct jack)?
Are they plugged in to their power source (or do they have fresh batteries)?
Are they turned on?

Third,
If you do not have a speaker icon in your system tray,
Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Sound and Audio Devices - Double Click on this icon...
On the Volume Tab... Make sure that your sound is not muted (a check box)- and make sure the slider is not set too low.
Check the Speak Volume Button for the same issues.
Back at the Device Volume section, Click the Advanced button, This will bring up a control panel that looks like a mixer board.
Make sure that your sliders are not set to zero, and not checked "to Mute".

If you DO have the speaker icon in the system tray, it will bring up the Mixer Board mentioned above.

Fourth; make sure that your external volume control, (if you have one) is not set too low.

Lastly, When you say you don't have a cd, are you referring to a "driver disk"?

Are any of these helpful?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/missing-multimedia-audio-controller.131491/
Relevancy 19.78%

I recently (last week) came across a problem I couldnt find the answer to. Eventually after tinkering around I figured it out(as Im not that good with Vista...still)

Did your harddrive go missing after you backed up ur pc or just disappeared all of a sudden?

if so check this out

right click my computer > click Manage > click Disk Management >

now look at your internal hard drives, does 1 not say formmated or "uninitialized"? If so easy fix to get that hard drive back!

right click, select initlize (format) and blamao let it work its magic( takes a few minutes depending on the size of the drive) Once it's done you should be good togo!

Hope this helps a few people, as it helped me after finally figuring out "initilized" meant format o.O

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/do-you-have-vista-and-your-hard-drive-is-missing-click-here.131443/
Relevancy 27.95%

Hi all, I have a thinkpad 1411 i series from 1998. A workhorse. I always use the machine plugged in. Original battery.

Was getting a battery bad/drive OK message, then I would hit enter and it would boot up.

Now will not boot at all.

Can't it work with just the plug or do I have to buy another battery?

I just use it for a word processor and family photos now. but I like it for that. I have a dell dual core /quad for the web.

Shouldn't it work with just the plug, I don't get it?

Thanks for advice

A:IBM Thinkpad 1411 i series battery bad message won't boot

Not all notebooks will work without a battery. I have a Toshiba A70, and had issues a while back which I thought was the battery, so I tried running without it. Try taking the battery out and see if it starts. Keep in mind that it's a good idea to cycle batteries in notebooks even if they are always plugged in, they should be discharged maybe once a month or so.
Your particular error seems to be coming from the CMOS, maybe you can look at that, considering its been 11 years, maybe its due for a change.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ibm-thinkpad-1411-i-series-battery-bad-message-wont-boot.131365/
Relevancy 20.21%

Hi - winXP disk management no longer shows drive letters but just drive names for all the partitiions on four hdd. My dvd has a letter!
Also I note that when I select 'change drive letter & paths' I am not given the current drive letter nor the option to 'add, change, remove'
The drive letters show up in windows explorer
I must have done something but know not what. Any ideas would be appreciated.
TKIA

A:Drive letters missing

Riley50 said:

Hi - winXP disk management no longer shows drive letters but just drive names for all the partitiions on four hdd. My dvd has a letter!
Also I note that when I select 'change drive letter & paths' I am not given the current drive letter nor the option to 'add, change, remove'
The drive letters show up in windows explorer
I must have done something but know not what. Any ideas would be appreciated.
TKIAClick to expand...

Very interesting to hear! 'cuz i just happened to notice the same anomaly on my own version of Windows XP SP3 within the last coupla days!! (i.e. drive letters appear normally in Windows Explorer and all works well. yet Disk Management doesn't show the drive letters for your my HDD partitions!)

Anyone else also see the same??? In any case, will let you know if i should find why this is happening (but appears to not just be you!)

/* EDIT */
Hmm... but let me one thing that may be different (tho still odd). For my case:
1) If i click Change Drive Letters and Paths i DO have the Add button option
2) If i click Add, it does still available drive letters

But it's the simple display of drives and volumes in disk management that's not showing assigned drive letters (is what's in common with what you repport)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/drive-letters-missing.130439/
Relevancy 28.38%

A while back user quot raybay quot posted some thinkpad r51 on Replacing backlight/inverter guidance on replacing the backlight and or inverter on an ibm thinkpad r notebook Here is a quote Inverter That is a very high price for an inverter for an R but the R is a very rare computer so you may have to pay it you need a very Replacing backlight/inverter on thinkpad r51 good quality hard steel philips Replacing backlight/inverter on thinkpad r51 screw driver great care in removing and replacing the screw covers and the time it takes to remove and replace screws But the inverter just plugs in Mark all your screws as you remove them as they are not all the same length or diameter But the most important function is removing the screw hole covers so you can use them again You will benefit from a very very thin flat blade Replacing backlight/inverter on thinkpad r51 screw driver or other tool to lift the screw covers out and off You will need a nice adhesive that remains soft when you replace them It is very rare for an inverter to go out in that model What I m wondering is this sounds like instructions for replacing just the inverter but what if my problem is with my backlight as well or instead Apparently they can also be replaced but I ve read suggestions that this may involve soldering If you are lurking raybay do you know specifically what is required to replace the backlight on this model nbsp

A:Replacing backlight/inverter on thinkpad r51

You can get the inverter, new, on eBay for $9.95 on up to $20... DO NOT BUY A USED ONE, and DO NOT BUY ONE FOR A SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT MODEL. It is the screen that determines the model number... and that inverter/backlight is part of that particular model number.
Your inverter and your backlight are basically the same thing the failure of one affects the other... or they are in the same device depending on the laptop.
None of the IBM Lenovo units need soldering... but you have to remove about 20 screws, and remove the rubberized screw covers... so making it pretty again when you are done is the hard part... as you have to learn how to reapply the screw covers and the rubberized stickum.
USE VERY GOOD, VERY TOUGH TOOLS. DO NOT USE TOOLS that wear easily. Cheap toosl will mar the screws and ruin stuff.
First you buy the backlight.
Second, remove the keyboard.
Third, you remove the screw covers with a very thin device like a 1/2 or #1 flat screw driver, only with thinner metal... and some tweezers to lift off and store the screw covers which are mostly very thin, round flat rubber disks.
You need some soft of bowl or series of cups where you can put the different size screws. You need to keep a chart of which size screws come from where... Unless you have a good mind for those sorts of things and nobody does.
You may find it easier to remove the back of the computer where the screen is kept... and CAREFULLY remove the ribbon cable for the screen that plugs in beneath the keyboard.
Keep in mind that after a laptop has aged a year or two, the plastics become very brittle and easily shatter.
Take your time. Force nothing.
When you have all the screws out, the screen will come apart from the case.
Then at the bottom of the screen you will find a device about the size of a ball point pen or maybe even thinner.
You remove that device by unplugging, it, then insert the new one.
Be sure it is stable. We use a bit of masking tape or electrical tape to hold it in place.
Then put everything back together using the longest screws first.
You can leave it ugly at first, then put your screw covers on last. You may have to order new ones if you screwed things up.
When you are done, you will wish you had taken more time and done a better job, but it is too late now.
It wills work fine, but if it belongs to your girlfriend or ex wife, you may want to hide out..

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/replacing-backlight-inverter-on-thinkpad-r51.130412/
Relevancy 19.35%

Hi folks,

I passed from Vista 32 bit to Vista 64 bit but my dual screen options in Nvidia Control panel are missing!
I was using it to expand my gaming screen to two 22 inch LCD Monitors but Vista 64 bit driver has problems about it?
Do you know how can I solve this problem?

My specs

E8400
GTS 250
GA-X48-DS5 Mobo
4GB Ram
1TB Hard Drive
Vista 64 bit

A:Nvidia Control Center Dual Monitor Options Missing?

Pls help my problem

Pls Help to my problem

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/nvidia-control-center-dual-monitor-options-missing.130120/
Relevancy 19.78%

Hi all,

Need some help if poss?? Have a USB 2gb flash drive which is currently saying it only has 3mb storage capacity

I have re-formatted the drive, and it is currently in NTFS format. All hidden folders are active, so I can only assume there is no more data on there at all, so don't know why I am missing the rest of my storage

Has anyone come across this before? The only possible thing I can think of is something to do with the partioning etc but I don't know enough to be able to fix this.

Thanks in advance for any help

A:Missing Storage on USB Flash Drive

Try formatting in FAT, not FAT32 or NTFS

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/missing-storage-on-usb-flash-drive.128383/
Relevancy 28.38%

Hi all,

I have an end user with a Lenovo Thinkpad T61 that cannot locate the wireless network we have set up in our office. "No wireless networks were found in range" is the message we get when trying to locate our network using the Wireless Network Connection utility. I checked Device Manager to see if his wireless card (Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AG) was disabled or not functioning properly, but it is working fine. All the required drivers are also installed.

The router we use at the office is a Linksys WRT160N V3. Anyone have any ideas how to solve this problem?

-Anton

A:Wireless problems with Lenovo Thinkpad T61

First, welcome to TechSpot, good to have you here. I?m somewhat new myself, so I?m still figuring things out. Now, I know this may be elementary for you, but here?s a link to the Windows Vista networking help page: http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/88ea056e-664a-4c3d-b977-13f79cb4dedb1033.mspx.

I?m not terribly familiar with the T61 (worked mostly with 43s). Does it have a physical WiFi on/off switch? Sometimes those can be the culprits.

Cheers,

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wireless-problems-with-lenovo-thinkpad-t61.127429/
Relevancy 28.81%

I bought a Thinlpad R - BBU used and with no battery I bought a new battery installed it and the battery drained completely I sent it back and got a new one and also bought a new power chord The battery and new power Thinkpad charge won't R51 battery chord worked fine for two months Last week the battery drained completely again while Thinkpad R51 won't charge battery plugged into AC chord Again I bought a new battery extended life this time and bought a docking station I am now faced with the new battery drains Thinkpad R51 won't charge battery everytime I use it The power chord does not charge it The docking station does not charge it either I would like some questons answered Is it normal for the pc Thinkpad R51 won't charge battery to have to be ON for the battery to be charged Does anyone know if there is any indication that the power chord is plugged in while the battery is installed When on AC only it shows plug - When battery installed on battery only or with AC chord computer shows on battery power Do the external battery charger units really work this may be my only way of recharging my battery if not through the pc Any help would be greatly appreciated Gary nbsp

A:Thinkpad R51 won't charge battery

Hi gary

the PSU that plugs into the laptop, is it an original and does it supply the correct voltage and ampage, use the manufacturers website to determine this, i have seen many cheap PSU's cause battery problems on laptops.

the light configuration is different for makes of laptop having not had a thinkpad i cant answer that question, although im sure someone on here has.

regards

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/thinkpad-r51-wont-charge-battery.127257/
Relevancy 19.35%

Hi Everyone. I have my new Dell Latitude D620 that i purchased and have recently wiped the hard drive. However, i have now realized that my desktop OS disc is not working to install windows onto my laptop. Are there any other ways to install windows without purchasing 200-300$ software? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

A:Missing Windows OS disc for Dell Latitude D620

If it is a new machine, then you can get a replacement from dell. Just let them know the one you have will not complete the install. If it was purchased from a 3rd party and is used, Find out if it is still covered under warranty. If it is, ask that person to call dell and do a change of ownership. Once there system shows you as owner (or you get the info used when they purchased and/or registered the computer, if you bought from a friend) you should be able to get help from Dell.

Good Luck. Let me know how it turns out.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/missing-windows-os-disc-for-dell-latitude-d620.60447/
Relevancy 20.21%

Want to buy an open box motherboard from newegg. What all items will be missing.. Anybody know

KK Lenin

A:What is missing in open box mobo

umm

"Newegg.com offers a 15-day refund-only return policy for all open box merchandise. Remember if you purchase a Open Box product you will receive an OEM BAREBONE item, meaning you will only receive the item itself. Accessories are NOT INCLUDED with Open Box products, even if the missing accessory is required for the item to function properly."

from the webb site it self

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/what-is-missing-in-open-box-mobo.126220/
Relevancy 19.78%

Multimedia Video Controller PCI\VEN_4444&DEV_0016&SUBSYS_813D104D&REV_01\4&2CF26B65&0&2820 This device is not configured correctly.

Is what it says in the MSINFO32. I got the device from a computer my friend had. I thought Windows Driver Detector could fix it for me, but was unable to. I've been having a lot of difficulty try to find drivers to use this. Any help would be fantastic. Please tell me if you need more information.

A:Missing Multimedia Video Controller Driver

Start with a look through this thread. You have the identical device.
/* EDIT */
In general, you might also look here for the drivers from your system manfacturerClick for the driver page listed my System Vendor Find your System Vendor, click for their driver support site. Enter your model number, then download your drivers as needed

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/missing-multimedia-video-controller-driver.125711/
Relevancy 19.78%

I bought a 2nd hand IBM ThinkPad Lenovo r61i some a little while ago. i never got any driver cd's with it but i've installed all the drvers i can find but Device manager still seems to think theres a few things that are missing drivers, could anyone give me a hand.

Base Laptop Specifications :
* Intel® Core? 2 Duo T5450 (1.66 GHz)
* Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium
* 15.4? WXGA TFT with integrated camera
* 1 GB / 4 GB, DDR2 SDRAM
* 120 GB, Serial ATA
* DVD Recordable, 24X Max
* Bluetooth Version 2.0 + EDR / PAN
* Intel® Graphics Chipset
* Weight 2.91 Kg
* Integrated Gigabit Ethernet

and i know the chipset is Intel GM965 Express

Any ideas? thanks

A:Lenovo R61i Missing drivers?

Go to the IBM support site and download and install the chipset drivers for your model laptop. Did the laptop come with Vista or is this an upgrade from XP?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/lenovo-r61i-missing-drivers.125229/
Relevancy 19.78%

I have a client's machine on which one of his darling little brats has created or reset the BIOS password and now denies all knowledge of the thing. I seem to recall there is either a means of generating the default password from the Service Tag or, failing that, shorting out one of the motherboard chips. That I have done before but would prefer to know which chip it is.
The system is a Dell Dimension 3100.
Anyone able to help before I condemn the thing to perdition and a drop kick into the neighbours wheelie bin?

A:Missing Dell BIOS (boot) password

Difficult task.
What you describe will not happen. But you can check with Dell support to see if the computer is registered to that owner. Then Dell will send someone out as an authorized service rep with a little disk that runs the fix... and has a cost.
I would first see if the hard drive can be accessed while installed in an external USB enclosure.
If it can, then even if passworded, you can put in a replacement drive. And Dell XP install disk will work.
Then you can buy a Dell motherboard on eBay. Many Optiplex boards are cheaper, and work better than the Dimension boards... for a cheaper price... around $70 to $85.... or refurbished Dell government computers are for sale at PCSurplusonline for $120 to $180 with shipping... just move the board into the 3100. And the dell OS will work.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/missing-dell-bios-boot-password.123040/
Relevancy 29.24%

Hello everybody This is my first post really need some help IBM R Thinkpad not Thinkpad will boot IBM Had the problem months ago laptop would just shutdown then it was taking longer times to boot or three or to Had a g hard drive mb ram installed a g hard drive and g pc ram old ram was also a pc also a IBM Thinkpad will not boot new batt and charger after this first attempt to start IBM Thinkpad will not boot I went into bios and changed boot to dvd booted fine and loaded xp up until the partiton part and then shutdown next started to boot got msg file setupdd sys could not be loaded the error code is next attempt error code is now It will not boot at all with or without hard drive dvd I can here and feel the fan running I am thinking the fan from previous posts but when I try in the morning to boot sometimes it starts and sometimes not please help thanks nbsp

A:IBM Thinkpad will not boot

read the bios beep guide in the guides forum for error codes.

run memtest 86+ to test ram.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ibm-thinkpad-will-not-boot.124553/
Relevancy 17.2%

HI Here again asking stupid questions I have a quot TP-Link Mbps Gigabit Ethernet PC Card quot and first I installed the original drivers from the cd that came with the card and got an error message Windows cannot load the device driver for this harware The driver may be corrupted or missing Code Click Troubelshoot to start the troubelshooter for this device Ok so I click and then i only get an empty screen So I downloaded the newest drivers and GB TP-Link Drivers "corrupted or missing" LAN installed them but it says still the same So the next thing I did was google and from there I found loads of random sites and then ofcourse Microsofts support site so I tried it and it says st Click Troubleshoot to start the Troubleshooting Wizard The wizard asks you some simple questions and provides a solution to your problem based on the answers that you provide If the Troubleshooting Wizard is not available go to step Follow the resolution steps provided by the wizard to resolve the problem Yeah good TP-Link GB LAN Drivers "corrupted or missing" luck when I only get an empty window where even not the search works So what to do btw the card is installed in a quot Dell Dimension XPS T quot and before that it was in my other computer and worked just fine nbsp

A:TP-Link GB LAN Drivers "corrupted or missing"

Hi

last time i saw this i was trying to get a WIFI nicon XP working on a nasty pcworld laptop, it was built for vista and no matter what i tried i couldnt find the drivers for it, all the ones i tried gave me the code 39 error.

The cure, i used the restore disk and driver disk to put Vista back on the laptop and it worked fine.

Seems to be a case of find the right driver for it, although its possible that the card has gone faulty, have you tried it back in the PC to make sure.?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/tp-link-gb-lan-drivers-corrupted-or-missing.124649/
Relevancy 19.78%

please help i have a HUGE issue at hand i had recently installed norton goback and after it not installing correctly i uninstalled it with the removal utility after boooting into windows xp i have a missing since SATA 1TB seagate uninstall goback pro and home version on two different drives my ubuntu linux partition isnt working im going to live cd 1TB SATA seagate missing since goback uninstall it soon my tb 1TB SATA seagate missing since goback uninstall drive isnt showing in windows explorer in disk management console it 1TB SATA seagate missing since goback uninstall is showing as there with free and no drive letter all it says to do is format it and help i cannot assign it a drive letter i had gigs of data backed up onto this all of this is either irreplaceable or will be extremely hard to get again if anyone has any ideas please help plasma edit - live cd ubuntu isnt showing it either think trying a program to recover a lost partition would work edit - gonna try http www cgsecurity org wiki TestDisk Download wish me luck nbsp

A:1TB SATA seagate missing since goback uninstall

TestDisk worked thank god. Problem solved, 300 gigs of data recovered, topic able to be closed

~plas

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/1tb-sata-seagate-missing-since-goback-uninstall.124119/
Relevancy 19.78%

Hello all,

Weird problem. I hooked up a linksys device to one of my laptop to change settings on it. Now that I have unhooked it. For some reason, there is no longer a network tab under the properties of my wireless card! I have enabled the wired and wlan config in services but it still will not come back! I'm trying to configure a wireless connection with the internal wireless card like I normally do. The tab is just no longer there! I have no idea why and I'm lost.

Any ideas? Remember this is Vista there is no wireless zero configuration just the wired and wlan config.

A:Wireless network tab missing in Vista

Is your copy of Vista updated to SP1? What version of Vista are you running? Is your system clean and free of viruses and other malware. By Network tab, do you mean the word "Network" in the start menu?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wireless-network-tab-missing-in-vista.123639/
Relevancy 19.78%

This will be the third time this has happened since Christmas and nobody has a clue what has happened I hope this is the right forum for this post To try and cut a long story short- Decided to build a computer I am new to this and dont know much themselves. changed NTLDR is missing letters Drive but got help putting it together Worked fine for a week or so then wouldnt boot Got NTLDR file missing errors Took out TB drive found it faulty dealer replaced it Installed new drive it was faulty from the off I could hear it and was changed for a different make of drive TB Now weeks after install and working fine I turn off one night turn on the next morning and the computers asking for a boot disk Went to do a reinstall over the top of the old OS and discovered that what was my C drive with Windows XP was now the E drive and the D drive with XP was now the C drive Drive letters changed themselves. NTLDR is missing And it wont boot up from it because quot NTLDR is missing quot I have a feeling this is what happened to the first install but I never noticed the drive letters Any idea what may have caused this Hardware- Asus P Q Deluxe Motherboard CPU Intel Quad Core Duo Q overclocked to Zalman Reserator V Fanless Water Cooling System X OCZ GB Reaper Mhz PC Memory Coolermaster W Real Power M Powersupply BFG GTX OC Graphics Card TB Samsung SATA HD GB Samsung PATA Drive GB Seagate SATA Drive Creative Fatlity Platinum sound card Internal card reader PCI-Express x FireWire and x USB Ports I O Card Sony DVD Rom Drive LG DVD Drive Dual boot if it would ever work properly Windows and XP nbsp

A:Drive letters changed themselves. NTLDR is missing

Hi Chegwell,

My first reaction to this is that the battery that holds the PC's BIOS settings (and system date, etc.) whilst the machine is switched off, is faulty.

Try accessing the Bios (usually by hitting DEL or F1, F2) while the PC is booting, set the hard drive priority to SATA, save and reboot.

Good Luck,

Taff.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/drive-letters-changed-themselves-ntldr-is-missing.123495/