Windows Support Forum

HP spectre x360 on linux

Q: HP spectre x360 on linux

Hi I bought a new HP spectre x For my job I need to run simulation trought OpenFOAM so it's easyer for me to use Linux nbsp Nearly everything work out of the box except one things sound nbsp I post a bug on launchpad here the link HP linux on x360 spectre Bug Hp spectre x nbsp It as nearly everything you need to debug the phenomena I know that you don't officially suport linux on that computer but it would be fun to be at least linux compatible nbsp Thing I know There was a bug that really look HP spectre x360 on linux like this one on the Dell XPS The bug was in the bios wich was setting the sound card to alternative mode that was not working I think is the same here I need to find a way to tell the bios to load everything like if it is windows Yeah I just ask no special treatement nbsp nbsp Thank you I will give all support you need I really wish to correct this bug nbsp PS HP if you correct this bug you will sell three more of those computer they all want one in the lab nbsp Follow up It's seem that we are now hable to use the lagacy mode from the sound card It's good but not perfect The fix for the i c will come soon the latest kernel code ask about a mysterious drivers file that doesn't exist right now in the linux firmware directories So this case is close because the issue as been addressed Follow the launchpad bug for furter improvement nbsp nbsp SOLUTION MAY NOT BE THE SAME FOR YOUR DISTRIBUTION nbsp From Spano nbsp If you use gummiboot you should have something like that nbsp options acpi osi Windows acpi osi Windows acpi backlight vendor root dev sda rw nbsp The selected solution under this post is for Debian based distribution I will put the solution for other distribution on this post if they are on the forum You don't find it Adjust the solution to fit your distribution and post-it you will make people happy nbsp Solved View Solution

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: HP spectre x360 on linux

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: HP spectre x360 on linux

I SOLVED IT! After hours of pain, i can now use the built in soundcard with headphones, as well as the internal speakers. HOW TO: Edit grub config by doing:'sudo vim /etc/default/grub' Edit the line:GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash'" To:GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_backlight=vendor acpi_osi='!Windows 2013' acpi_osi='!Windows 2012'" Then run:'sudo update-grub' Reboot TWO times. BOOM! Sound works in headphones. The sound card is now in HDA mode (not I2S). To confirm, run:'aplay -l' and make sure you have the following in the output: 'card 1: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC3242 Analog [ALC3242 Analog] Subdevices: 0/1 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0'I'm running kernel Linux spectre 3.19.0-21-generic #21-Ubixuntu SMP on Ubuntu x64. BR,Ingmar EDIT: Even the speakers are working, they were just muted in Alsamixer. Hallelulja!EDIT2: Added the 'acpi_backlight=vendor' parameter to the options line, based on @spano 's input. Thanks!EDIT3: Fix as pointed out by venividivici24

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Audio/HP-spectre-x360-on-linux/td-p/4980797
Relevancy 28.81%

Hi,
I want to learn how to manage ARM processor power management with LINUX (for example the Cortex-A53 MP Core).
Can someone recommend literature, a tutorial or web based information?
Thank you in advance
Manfred

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/arm-processor-power-management-with-linux.210897/
Relevancy 28.38%

Not sure if this is better suited for here for the Alternate OS section, but here it goes

I have pretty much switched by computer to running just Linux. Almost never boot over to Windows. Only issue I'm having with it is the Radeon graphics drivers for my R9 290 seem to be arguing with Steam. I have read Nvidia cards propritery drivers work much better with linux.
So one of my work computers needs a graphics card upgrade and I'm thinking getting a good Nvidia card to replace my R9 290 and see if that fixes my graphics driver conflit issues.
Does anyone have any experiance with that and what would be a good card comperable to the R9 290 from Nvidia's end of things?

Thanks!

A:Nvidia graphics card running Steam on Linux

The Geforce GTX780Ti or the big boys would be the only way for u to go, that would be comparable. and I would have no idea on driver.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/nvidia-graphics-card-running-steam-on-linux.207200/
Relevancy 28.81%

Hi I have all of the above items and would like to stream my media from the ext hd to the TV I had planned on plugging the hd in through usb port of my Sony bravia tv and playing through the built in media player but mpeg avi or mkv don t even show up in the menu strange because I have played both mp and avi before through usb So that isn t working I think my options are to either - a leave a laptop running with Windows media player running and connect it to my xbox I don t really ext. 1tb pc 360 and bravia machine, sony Linux hd, xbox want to do this as I have happily been windows free for a while now b create some kind of server I have no experience here Linux machine, 1tb ext. hd, xbox 360 and sony bravia pc c Convert them to mpeg somehow but I have read that this lowers visual quality more than I would be happy with d Change the folder type so the TV thinks that it is mpeg something like remux I think I read this sounds Linux machine, 1tb ext. hd, xbox 360 and sony bravia pc good to me as quality is retained due to the folder type being changed but the data is not converted Do you have any other ideas and have you any guidance as to what I should do please nbsp

A:Linux machine, 1tb ext. hd, xbox 360 and sony bravia pc

I'm betting your external drive is formatted NTFS or EXT3/4 and your TV can't read that filesystem. You could try using an out-of-spec FAT32 filesystem that uses up your entire drive (you'll have to format with something other than Windows - gparted should be fine). You could also try setting up some sort of DLNA server that I think your TV can access easily. There are many options for that so I'd google "setting up a DLNA server". Remember also that if you go FAT32 that your file sizes will be limited to 4GB or smaller.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/linux-machine-1tb-ext-hd-xbox-360-and-sony-bravia-pc.203562/
Relevancy 28.38%

Hello TechSpot,

I am thinking of dual booting Linux Mint with my Windows 7 OS. I don't have a cd big enough for the installer, and I am thinking about buying a stack of CDs to use for booting. However, I don't know which CD type to buy. I will be using them also for Movie making, file storage, back up and etc..
Which one of these would work?

DVD R
DVD RW
DVD-RW
DVD-RAM

Thanks

A:What type of CD is good for installing Linux or other OS for dual boot?

They're DVD's, not CD's; though you can use them for burning a Linux ISO, it would be a waste of most of the capacity of a disk though. I'd choose DVD-R's.

You can always download Linux live creator and use that instead. You just need a spare 1GB USB memory stick/thumb drive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/what-type-of-cd-is-good-for-installing-linux-or-other-os-for-dual-boot.169327/
Relevancy 28.81%

hi:
i AM using SBC with xlinux. i attach PS2 keyboard and check all the signals waveforms. on the basis of that i have devloped avr based keyboard. so that i can send commands from my avr through PS2. all is well.
But the issue is after some time PS2 of SBc freez even if attache original keyboard it didnt work. ihv restarted the system change hard disk but no use. one of my SBc is permannently damage bt it does all othe functions . and one is freez for 30 min. after many retires it woke up.

i cant understand the prolem. can u help.
i am using 4.7K resistor for pull up on data nad clock lines with 5v volt. i hv tried 3v too but same problem.
plz tell me it is due to current limit or sending code prolblem something else.......

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/keyboard-emulator-on-vdx-6318-with-x-linux.166373/
Relevancy 28.81%

I built this system in March and windoze vista home Ubuntu/Linux Motherboard with support premium This Motherboard with Ubuntu/Linux support particular edition of vista was a nightmare from day one and I eventually found a work-a-round to get Ubuntu installed NO Linux support from the MB manufacturer days after getting it to a dual boot system vista stopped recognizing the mouse and keyboard So I have a MOBO that doesn t like Ubuntu and is a nightmare to try to fond workarounds for Here is what I have to work with XFX nForce a SLI Motherboard - NVIDIA a Motherboard with Ubuntu/Linux support SLI Socket AM AM ATX Audio Video HDMI DVI PCI Express Gigabit LAN S PDIF USB eSATA RAID AMD Phenom Processor HD WCGDBOX - GHz x KB Cache MHz MT s FSB Agena Quad-Core Retail Socket AM Processor with Fan Kingston PC MHz GB DDR Desktop Memory - x MB Motherboard with Ubuntu/Linux support Pin OCZ SLI-Ready Dual Channel MB PC DDR MHz Memory x MB XFX GeForce GSO Fatal ty Edition Video Card - MB DDR PCI Express Dual Link DVI SLI Ready Seagate GB Serial ATA HD MB SATA- G And the full sized ATX tower w watt PS Which Motherboards would be the best to work with that HAS Linux SUPPORT Thanks for all the help over the years guys I truly do appreciate it Drew nbsp

A:Motherboard with Ubuntu/Linux support

Is there a specific component on that motherboard that you're having problems with? I can't imagine that the motherboard is not "compatible" with linux - in fact, I've found threads with people using Ubuntu with that mobo. I also find it odd that you'd have a Windows Vista issue with that mobo since most of the users I see online who use it are running Vista or 7 64-bit. Perhaps you have a faulty motherboard and it's not a problem with the model itself.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/motherboard-with-ubuntu-linux-support.149672/
Relevancy 29.67%

Hi all!

On my current system I have a 1TB Seagate hard disk. The OS installed on it is Windows 7 64 Bit.

I have another older 160GB Seagate HDD. I want to install Linux on it.

What I would like to know is how I should go about it. What will happen if both HDDs are connected to the motherboard? Do I have to set any as Master / Slave?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

A:Linux and Win 7 on separate HDD

Do a little research on dual boot setups...

I have not done one with Windows 7 64 bit, but it is fairly easy on all others, so I don't see why it would not be possible.

You just install the Windows 7 disk first... but you will find plenty of reading on this with a Gurgle search, and you should also find instructions on the Microsoft.com site. Or get yourself a copy of Windows 7, Inside Out, or a manual for the version of Linux you wish to run.

What results is a screen as you boot up that asks you to select Windows 7 or the Linux install and it can give you two screens, or two choices on one screen from which to choose.

You have to shut down and reboot to run the other operating system, in most dual-boot setups.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/linux-and-win-7-on-separate-hdd.147848/
Relevancy 27.95%

I did a fresh install of Linux Fedora and discovered that this new version of Fedora doesn t like my Nvidia GeForce GTX graphics card I tried numerous installation techniques but they failed every time I scoured the forums for answers but no single answer would work Finally I rearranged the steps from a graphics Linux card Installation on of Nvidia SOLVED Fedora 12 couple of different forums and it worked If you re having trouble getting your Nvidia card installed in Fedora then give this a try Let me know if it works Nvidia Driver Install for Fedora Edit the boot grub grub conf file using Gedit Open a Terminal Window Login as Installation of Nvidia graphics card on Linux Fedora 12 SOLVED superuser enter quot su quot at the command prompt and press Enter You ll be prompted for your password Type it in and press Enter Paste Installation of Nvidia graphics card on Linux Fedora 12 SOLVED gedit boot grub grub conf into command prompt and then press Enter Find the kernel line in the grub conf file It will say something like kernel vmlinuz- - local fc x Installation of Nvidia graphics card on Linux Fedora 12 SOLVED ro root UUID XXX rhgb quiet After the word quiet paste nouveau modeset Save and close the grub conf file At the Terminal prompt paste setsebool -P allow execstack on and press enter At the Terminal prompt paste yum --enablerepo rp g install kmod-nvidia uname -m xorg-x -drv-nvidia-libs i xorg-x -drv-nvidia-libs x Exit all instances of Terminal Reboot Well that s what worked for me I m running Fedora in x screen resolution using my Nvidia GeForce GTX card It looks great Hope this works for you too Best of luck Stevizard nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/installation-of-nvidia-graphics-card-on-linux-fedora-12-solved.138392/
Relevancy 28.81%

I am a CA Student and I dont know technical aspects of a Computer Please Help Me to solve this Problem Problem Dvd Drive is not detected either in widows or in Linux symptoms I can open and close this drive by using its switch Power Supply is ok Some times DVD drive will be appeard in quot My Computer quot But when i try to open the system will be stuck for a minute and i will stop the operation using quot Task Manager quot And the Drive will be disapperd from quot or DVD is not detected Drive Linux in either Windows in My Computer quot When Dvd drive is displayed on My Computer its properties shall show nothing but an empty storage devise Yesterday i Selected Optimal Defaults in BIOS assuming that may solve this problem and in windows i could find that drive and i could view its properties also to check i put a video cd in to drive that cd drive made a big noice of rottating the disk However i could see the contents of the cd but when i try to open one folder the sistem became stuck and as usually the dvd drive disappeard from my computer But when i loaded optimal defaults in BIOS that didnt solve the problem DVD Drive is not detected either in Windows or in Linux I need to install some softwares and that softwares are in CD Now i am using my pendrive to install that files Please HELP ME nbsp

A:DVD Drive is not detected either in Windows or in Linux

What is the brand and model of the DVD Drive? And what is its age and previous use.
Usually, this is caused by an optical drive that is worn too badly, or is out of alignment... Cheaper to replace than to fix.
Optical drives last a year. If they are heavily used, many will fail after six or seven months.
Some cannot handle the heat and the constant use.
Opening and closing has not much to do with operation and failure...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dvd-drive-is-not-detected-either-in-windows-or-in-linux.137962/
Relevancy 28.81%

hai pals
my usb drive is not working.
I have both os ubuntu and windowsxp.
my pendrive is not working in windows.
It's been recognised as unknown device
in windows xp.but it works finely in ubuntu (linux)
can any tell me a way so that I can fix my problem
please
thanks.
I have transcend 4gb pendrive

A:USB shows as unknown device in xp but not in linux

In XP autoplay for CD drives may affect USB device detection... See if autoplay is turned off or on. Toggle it, and see if the USB device is detected

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/usb-shows-as-unknown-device-in-xp-but-not-in-linux.131560/
Relevancy 29.24%

hey I need help. I have two physical HDDs c and d. D had two logical partitions at 40 gig each and C had 120 gig. C had win xp pro and D had mandrake and red hat.

The problem is that I needen more space and so I took off the linux os's from the D drive. I then reformated the disk as a clean ntfs drive that win could see. Now my only problem is that there is a startup screen that says mandrake linus and that still allows me to choose from the os's that are not there. This is very anoying and I can t get rid of it.

Not in boot.ini
cant find in registry
no more linux files that i can find

HELP

A:dual boot with linux

Sounds like you have a lilo still written in the master boot record of your hard drive.

Boot from a Windows XP CD, choose to recover instead of install. Choose the recovery console. Log onto your system in the console, and use these commands

fixmbr
fixboot

reboot and all should be well, post back if its not.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-boot-with-linux.4773/
Relevancy 28.81%

hi there,

recently had a crash and i could not install windows as the harddisk was not detecting. I attached another harddisk and after the installation blue screen it says "windows does not recognize hardware...etc..etc"

however after installing Linux (Ubuntu) it works the OS loads, but when windows is installed again i get the same message.

what might be the problem (i have tried different jumper settings as well)???

A:Hard Disk not recognized on Windows but does on Linux

What is the model and type of the hard drive?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-disk-not-recognized-on-windows-but-does-on-linux.125112/
Relevancy 29.67%

I have made a Linux Boot Disk, and am running it on my laptop. I connected my usb hard drive, and it found it. It "mounted" and I was able to open it. I can't write to it though. I also put in my Linksys Wireless Network usb thing to try to connect to my network. I have no clue how to work it though. So, (1): How can I be able to write to my usb drive? and (2): How do I connect to a network?

A:Linux help with devices

this post contains the command sequence to mount the USB and/or the HD in r/w mode.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/linux-help-with-devices.110145/
Relevancy 27.52%

I have an Asus L B Laptop and one day a friend was using it and found unconfortable to use the touchpad and asked me if he could use one of the mice os another and error works not BIOS boot, in Windows/Linux Keyboard on in but DOS, reports but computer in the room i said sure why not Well it was a ps mouse and he hot-pluged it S Result the laptop s keyboard stoped working and so did that ps port and also the sole serial port but not the touchpad Restarting cleaning the plug and all Keyboard reports error on boot, but works in BIOS and DOS, but not in Windows/Linux that did not work Now when I boot i get a no keybord present keyboard error at startup however it works fine in the BIOS and in DOS When Windows boots it lights Num Lock Caps Lock Scroll Lock an the keyboard no longer works In Linux No lights go on but it doesn t wor either I m certain that there is damage to the Serial ports PS ports chip but it s not all busted and probably just ignores any command and just gives outputs Now I ve been using a USB keyboard to make do but its very annoying an not very portable Replacing the MoBo is out of the question as it costs more than the PC is worth I seek a way around the windows drivers a simpler less demanding driver nbsp

A:Keyboard reports error on boot, but works in BIOS and DOS, but not in Windows/Linux

Windows Keyboard Test : http://www.passmark.com/products/keytest.htm

But actually try to locate a test on your computer (I haven't looked it up) but some manufactures have this

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/keyboard-reports-error-on-boot-but-works-in-bios-and-dos-but-not-in-windows-linux.109879/
Relevancy 28.81%

Hello.. I have a hard drive that as Linux as it's OS... I'm trying to get files from it copied over to my WinXP PC hard drive. I've been reading around some and have downloaded several utilities but I'm ignorant on how to use them. Any help would be greatly apprieciated. (i've downloaded Filezilla & WinSCP)

Thank you for your time.

Mike

A:Linux to Windows file transfer

is this a dual boot with Windows or are there two separate systems?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/linux-to-windows-file-transfer.106714/
Relevancy 28.81%

I connected a wireless network on my computer, Linux Ubuntu OS but i can't access any webpages for some reason. I have no idea what might be causing this, tho i had Windows with norton protection previously installed on it so i don't know if its still there, cause i didn't remove anything or make backups as i tought it would delete everything automatically lol. If you know what might be causing this, just tell me what to do instead of explaining it so much... Computer-ish cause i don't know shait :monkey:

A:Can't connect to the internet with Linux Ubuntu :O

Hit ALT+F2, type gnome-terminal & hit enter.

Then type (in the new application window) ping www.google.com. What does it say ?

Also type ifconfig & what does that say ?

Are you sure that your computer is properly connected to the wireless network ?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-connect-to-the-internet-with-linux-ubuntu-o.90688/
Relevancy 28.81%

I downloaded a driver to my sparklan usb adapter (wireless network adapter)
for my Linux Ubuntu computer in a zip. folder ready to be installed on a memory stick. When i connect the memory stick (on my other Linux ubuntu computer, this is a laptop that i'm using), nothing happens. I can't view the folder. Anybody that knows what might be causing this, and if you know and are using Linux Ubuntu already, any solutions ? :wave:

A:Linux Ubuntu won't open my memory stick?

If it has U3 technology, you will need to format the stick completely and remove U3.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/linux-ubuntu-wont-open-my-memory-stick.90614/
Relevancy 29.24%

Hi Guys this Linux USB drive by corrupted Xp is Linux USB drive corrupted by Xp my first post I have a Linux USB drive corrupted by Xp pvr that uses Linux It records in ts files This pvr personnel video recorder uses external USB hard drives that must be previously formatted into Fat and insure that the drive never reaches a sleep mode After that the firmware on the pvr does a quick format Many users report that after they connect the external USB drive to their XP computer to retrieve or copy the ts files then when they reconnect that Linux USB drive corrupted by Xp external drive to the pvr the drive is corrupted After that the pvr will only recognize the drives size or serial number but absolutely refuses to see the any ts files Then they are forced to write zeros with Seagate in the case of FREEAGENT PRO utilities This causes them to loose all the previous recorded movies It makes me very apprehensive to connect my freeagent gig to Xp It appears that Xp adds a flag or bit to the drive rendering it unreadable by the Linux OS of the pvr I wonder if there is a way to clone the external Linux drive fat directly to another USB drive so that I can manipulate or watch the drive on an Xp machine without altering the original drive I only use Xp Any advice is extremely appreciated nbsp

A:Linux USB drive corrupted by Xp

Well, I know nothing about video cameras and stuff, but I know my computers.

It is easy to clone a drive (usb/external/whatever). But you obviously would have to connect it to a computer to do that

So if just connecting it to an XP machine, ruins it, then that is out of the question. So your only option, would be to find someone with a Linux machine, and ask them to clone it for you.

There are other possibilities though I suppose. First off, it may be possible that connecting the drive to an XP machine is ok... and the problem only occurs when the data is read off or something... So basically, you would have to somehow find out, exactly what causes the drive's formatting to be screwed up.

The only other possibility I can think of, is that you make yourself a Linux partition on your computer. Am I right that Linux is free? If so, all you need is a hard disk in your PC, with some free space on it. You can partition it into part XP, and part Linux. So when you restart your PC, you get to choose if you want to boot up in to XP as usual, or boot into Linux.

I'm not sure how hard it is to learn how to use Linux, but that may be a possibility for you anyway. Then, when you wanted to use your PVR's hard drive, you could just boot into Linux and do whatever it is you need to do with it. You could even maybe then copy the stuff off it safely, on to your computer's internal hard drive (or even another external one), and then when you reboot back into XP, you would have the copied data, and the original PVR drive never has to interact with XP.

Hope that helps. If not, hopefully someone else can help. Good luck.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/linux-usb-drive-corrupted-by-xp.86826/
Relevancy 28.38%

Hello. I formatted my USB flash drive in win xp and now eahc time I connect it raises a warning: "The USB device can run faster if you connect it to a usb concentrer". Before format this message don't appear. The USB anyway works in win XP but doesn't work in Linux, an before the format it does.
My usb is a GeeDom 512 Mb. Somebody knows how to solve this problem? I need mi USB because I pass data beetween PC's with Linux and Windows.

A:USB flash drive doesn't work in linux after format

reformat as FAT32 which is accepted by ALL platforms.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/usb-flash-drive-doesnt-work-in-linux-after-format.85616/
Relevancy 29.67%

Hey all,OS & Software
Windows OS (333 Viewing)
Most popular OS ever, discuss anything from 9x, to XP and Vista.

I finally got linux installed on my new laptop (Yay!) . But I cant seem to connect to my wireless network at home. I have no idea why this could be! It works fine whenever I access my Vista partition. Does anyone have any ideas why this could be?

I have an HP Pavilion, Intel Centrino Dual core processor, a 140 GB HDD partitioned into 80 (Vista) / 50 (Fedora 7) / 10 (Recovery)

My Mac-based family set up an Airport set up at my house that's WEP protected. The problem is that when I use the WEP password on my Linux side, it says "Configuring wlan(0)" but stops when it gets to 57% saying "configuring IP address". I can't seem to figure out whats causing it, anyone got any ideas?

Please help, Thanx.

-Tom

A:Linux Wireless help

Edit:

I dont know what happened in that first paragraph, but its only supposed to say the first two words (Hey all,) so Sorry if that confuses anyone.

Also, I can connect to the internet fine if i plug in through the ethernet. But Its a hassle to do. I'd appreciate some input :3 thanx!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/linux-wireless-help.84072/
Relevancy 27.52%

Hi everyone So a while back boot dead screen, Linux Live CD underscore, flashing can't = Mobo? Black I dropped my computer while cleaning it and who knows maybe I even shocked it with static Ever since then I get a black screen with a flashing underscore on the top left when I boot up the computer This screen comes after the option to go to BIOS goes away so I still have BIOS access All my hardware is properly detected and everything seems jolly good Except it s not I have the Linux Live CD so I thought I would go try that It didn t work I made sure that the first boot is the DVD drive but no-go after restarting the computer the drive flashes a bit then stops then black screen BUT Yesterday I fiddled around with the connections of the hard drive the dvd-rom and the power supply as in unplug-replug Much to my surprise the system booted up fine with my Windows XP and all the right files I promptly continue to work on the computer for another few hours restarting several times with no problems Then on the fourth restart same black screen same underscore I retried the unplug-replug and nothing works So dead motherboard Any other ideas Thanks in advance nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/black-screen-flashing-underscore-cant-boot-linux-live-cd-dead-mobo.80373/
Relevancy 28.38%

Hello everyone First of all I want to thank everyone who has taken the time to read this read I just installed Ubuntu on my Compaq Presario US and I am unable to connect to any wireless network I have checked the device manager 6.06 here) Networking Wireless n00b Ubuntu Problems (Linux and the built in wireless card seems to performing correctly I don t have a static IP address with my DSL so I m using DHCP to automatically detect everything DNS server gateway subnet mask etc As far as I can tell its not successfully detecting them I Problems Wireless Networking Ubuntu 6.06 (Linux n00b here) can t connect directly to the router http I tried connecting via ethernet and it works just fine I ensured I have the right ESSID and hex key for the WEP but still no luck Below are the specifics of my system Please save Problems Wireless Networking Ubuntu 6.06 (Linux n00b here) my sanity and help me figure this out Processor Ghz P RAM GB PC HDD GB OS Ubuntu Linux Wireless Card Broadcom BCM b g PCI Thanks Edit Delete Message nbsp

A:Problems Wireless Networking Ubuntu 6.06 (Linux n00b here)

Heya: not that this site doesn't have many many many GREAT minds, but you should also check here:

http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/

edit: also, this place has this 'folder' for you wierd types:

http://www.techspot.com/vb/menu16.html

gl

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problems-wireless-networking-ubuntu-6-06-linux-n00b-here.75379/
Relevancy 29.24%

hey guys, i installed realvnc on fedora core 6. But whenever i try to start it, it says its started but when i check it isn't, and when i go to kill the process i cant because it doesn't exist (meaning it hasn't started) anyone have any ideas how to fix this. I have been working on getting this to work all day and i am stuck on this last problem. Just not to long ago i was able to connect from my linux server to my windows laptop fine, but from the windows laptop to the linux server it wont work and i think its because realvnc server isn't even started.

Any ideas? as you might guess i am quite anxious to get this working.

A:realvnc problems with linux

vnc server

First off, which distributors linux are you running?
(i recommend DEBIAN-its free and im my experiance just flat out better)
(also comes with 2 preset GUIs these may be helpfull for noobs)
Just a peice of avice try using an edited Telnet server, for more security.
who knos it might better than what you had in mind to begin with.
(its what i did,)

-welcome-
Questions and mored Email to
[email protected]

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/realvnc-problems-with-linux.73164/
Relevancy 25.37%

I am trying to map a drive on Windows and get it to stick. Right now it is mapping, but as soon as the user logs off and logs back on, it is there but it says disconnected. We have to go there, and set it up again. Any ideas?

Thanks,
-Hans

A:Mapping a linux drive on Windows and getting it to "Stick"

I assume that by "Linux drive" you mean a directory shared with Sambe..

"Set it up again" means what?

What happens when you try to open this disconnected drive?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/mapping-a-linux-drive-on-windows-and-getting-it-to-stick.68519/
Relevancy 29.24%

I'm getting ready to start building my own little supercomputer and need some help. The catch is that I'm running Linux and have no intention of going back to Windows. I don't have any problems with the antique HP Pavilion I'm on now, but it's so old the drivers are written in latin. The actual assembly of the system doesn't worry me a bit, but I don't want to waste money on components that won't work with my OS. I checked nVidia's site and they don't have any Linux drivers listed, so I can't use any mobo with their chipset. I don't know what others there are. Anybody with any experience in this matter?

A:Linux compatible mobo?

Well the first thing you need to know is that unlike windows linux rearly if ever requires drivers in the traditional sense. Linux has the information that allows the hardware to work properly in the kernal. As long as you stick with a mainstreem distro (RedHat,Fedora,Ubantu,Xandros,etc.) you should be able to use virtualy any modern motherboard.Linux has come a long way since the early days where compatibility is concerned.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/linux-compatible-mobo.66424/
Relevancy 33.11%

Motherboard: ASUS A8N-SLI
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 4000+
GHX Card: EVGA Geforce 7900GTX
Monitor: Spectre X20G-NAGA III

I have recently started building a new omputer and I have run into a problem. The computer turns on but when I look at the monitor, an message pops up showing a picture of this: Monitor ---> X --->Tower (Basically meaning that it has no connection to the computer) I find that intresting though because I have everything plugged in and in the right slots.

Any ideas? Any solutions? Please help!

A:No Signal Message (Spectre Monitor)

Hello and welcome to Techspot!

We need to back up a bit first. Open up your case and have a look.

When the system is not turned on, there is an LED light on your board. Can you see it? What color is it? When you hit the power button, tell us EXACTLY what happens. Any fans spinning? Does the color of that light change? Any beeps from the system?

Did you connect the power connector to your graphics card?

How many watts is your PSU (and what make is it)?

Tell us some more about your ram. What size and speed are the ram? How many sticks?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-signal-message-spectre-monitor.50598/
Relevancy 29.67%

I have windows xp SP and i keep getting a BAD POOL HEADER BSOD and a few other BSODs BAD POOL HEADER isthe most common when doing various tasks I have not installed anything new in months previous upgrade was new video card ram and hd I ve read that defective ram could be the problem but it s been fine for months and i don t know why it would just start to mess up now The error usually happens when playing games and happens at various times in the game sometimes after minutes sometimes never I have the indexing services disabled and uninstalled any extra hardware that i had I also have problem with some programs errors Various xp linux. and under not working peer gaurdian won t block connections my ati remote won t work even though the program is running my keylogger not comming Various errors under xp and linux. up when i do the key combo and various other annoyances When the first started my motherboard Various errors under xp and linux. was giving me a lot of beeps of different tones all the time even under idle under linux with the screensaver going I also once got a nvidia driver BSOD I have a MSI K N Delta-ILSR mobo and an Athlon xp with an nforce chipset Various errors under xp and linux. Also my sound keeps cutting out as well as video artifacts in games I also get a electronic echo sound when doing absolutly nothing Could this be a motherboard problem i m thinking it is a ram problem or something else any help would be great nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/various-errors-under-xp-and-linux.46416/
Relevancy 28.38%

Okay I am totally new to IPTables and networking in Linux I have a linux box hooked to my network and want to change the source and destination address of certain packets for VOIP purposes All I have done so DNAT NAT New IPTABLES linux Problems SNAT and to networking far is created a script for IPTables and activated it but it doesnt seem to do anything Here is my script as follows bin bash iptables -t filter --flush iptables -t nat --flush iptables -t mangle --flush iptables -t filter --delete-chain iptables -t nat --delete-chain iptables -t mangle --delete-chain iptables --policy INPUT DROP iptables --policy OUTPUT DROP iptables --policy FORWARD DROP iptables -t nat --policy POSTROUTING ACCEPT iptables -t nat --policy PREROUTING ACCEPT iptables -A INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT iptables -A OUTPUT -o lo -j ACCEPT iptables -F PREROUTING iptables -A POSTROUTING -p all -s -o eth -j SNAT --to iptables -A PREROUTING -p all -d -i eth -j DNAT --to service iptables NAT SNAT DNAT Problems New to IPTABLES and linux networking status Okay How do I check to see if Network Filtering is turned on and do I need to use IP forwarding Any help appreciated Thanks Justin Curtis nbsp

A:NAT SNAT DNAT Problems New to IPTABLES and linux networking

What exactly do you want to do? Are you sure it's not IP masquerading you want?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/nat-snat-dnat-problems-new-to-iptables-and-linux-networking.40997/
Relevancy 28.81%

I have installed Xandros onto a unit running windows XP Pro , the linux appears to work ok but when I try to boot into Windows the following happens :-
I get a message "Autochk not found - skipping autocheck. It then tries to reboot with the same result and continues to going through this cycle.
I used Partition Magic and that told me that the first partition was hidden.
I do not want to re format the whole 8gb H/D if possible, so would be grateful to get some advice on what actions i can take to correct the fault.
Thanks Roy. Melbourne Australia

A:Linux instalation caused boot problem

Unhide the first partition.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/linux-instalation-caused-boot-problem.35583/
Relevancy 29.24%

I just recently built a web server that runs on Fedora Core. Only problem is, Fedora can't detect my ethernet port in my motherboard (a Asus P4800SE).
Any suggestions?

A:Linux Server issues

FC needs to be configured for NETWORKING and to enable it during boot
(it should be the /etc/rc.d/init.d/network script)
enter:
find /etc/rc.d -name \*network\* -print​and you'll get the boot script names for networking:
the Sxxnetwork is the script which will config and bring up the ethernet
and Kxxnetwork is used to shut it down

btw: /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd is my Apache boot script

From the root login, enter /etc/rc.d/init.d/network status to verify
that you have the ethernet scripts and the interfaces are known.

The MB:Asus P4800SE should not be an issue, but the ethernet NIC and the
proper driver is in question.

Drivers that are loaded at boot time are located in /sys/module and my
3com card shows up as 3c59x

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/linux-server-issues.34830/
Relevancy 28.81%

I would really like to set up a home network between my linux box and my two windows boxes.

Ive tried Samba and since it doesnt work worth a damn I would really rather try something else.

So is there anything or do I just need to switch back to Windows?

A:Is There Anyway To Set Up A Real Home Network With Linux & Windows????

So is there anything or do I just need to switch back to Windows?Click to expand...

Noooooooooo!!!!!!!! Linux is forever. Of course you can network Linux and Windows properly - you just need to know how, that's all.

Samba works just fine.

You can mount windows shares in Linux, and open Linux shares in Windows.

Its great.

You can also use telnet, ssh and vnc.

You are spoiled for choice!

Why don't you tell us how you tried to configure samba, and why you think it failed?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-there-anyway-to-set-up-a-real-home-network-with-linux-windows.21931/
Relevancy 28.81%

Hi, guys. This is my problem: I login to my laptop with my Full Name "Mario Rossi" and my password.
To access my private folder (called mrossi) on Office Network I have a different username and password. On my Office Network all server works with Linux.
Is possible connect my laptop (login with "Mario Rossi") and access to my private folder on office LAN with different Login and password?

When I watch Network connection and folder I can see all folders but there is not my "mrossi" folder and there is an unexisting folder "Mario Rossi" (username on my laptop)?

I hope to be clear on my problem!

Thanks

A:WinXP Home Edition vs. Linux Network

Welcome to Techspot
I have no experience with Linux networks, so one of the other guys will have to jump on this.
However XP home has networking limitations you can make note of ;
-Home cannot join a domain (windows server)
-Home must logon on to Shares and the logon is not automatic(a Batch file cando this)
-Home uses the 'Everyone" permission level by Default in a Workgroup.
Maybe something in there may help

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/winxp-home-edition-vs-linux-network.30102/
Relevancy 28.81%

I have two identically configured compaq proliant 3000 P3 servers running mandrake 9.2 (kernel 2.4), both servers are updated at the same time so for all intents and purposes these machines are identical. HOWEVER...

One server, every other day or so, loses internet connectivity, that is to say the ethernet card seems to shut right off. Once off the card will not turn back on except when I completely cycle the power to the server, software attempts to get the card going are useless.

I took the ethernet cards out of both servers and swapped them and I still get the same problem on the same machine, it only started happening in the last month or so.

I have done a search on the web for info but I get so any responses to my search that are not applicable it is hard to sift through them all to find an answer.

Any thoughts?

Thank You!

A:Linux, Compaq Proliant connectivity problem.

What brand NICs are they? Is the link speed autonegotiated? Do you use a spanning tree algorithm on the switch? What happens if you swap the cables going into the servers (if physically possible?) Have you tried updating the system BIOS? Do you have the latest kernel for those Mandrakes?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/linux-compaq-proliant-connectivity-problem.27866/
Relevancy 29.24%

hi

simple question

i have 2 computers 1 windows (fast gaming) and 1 linux (testing linux and gettin used to it)

i want internet on both, i have a usb broadband modem and no router, i have a ethernet network with these 2 just need to kno shall i run the modem on the linux or windows computer? or no difference?

both will be on most of time
Thanks

A:Linux or Windows usb modem on?

ICS will be a bit trickier to set up on the Linux box (no pretty wizards) and you have to pray that your modem is actually supported by Linux.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/linux-or-windows-usb-modem-on.25639/
Relevancy 28.81%

So, I'm searching for a good graphics card to use in Linux.

I'm selling my ATi Radeon All-in-Wonder 9800SE because
1) Its extra features can't be used in Linux
2) ATi's Linux drivers suck, they don't care about customers.

Right now I'm using Matrox G450 dualhead, but it isn't really up to speed 3D-wise.

Parhelia would be a good choice, it has good image quality, fast enough for 3D, but I'm not sure if it supports dual monitors at 1600x1200. Triplehead is limited to 1280x1024 per display, that I know. Their Linux drivers seem to have problems too, not being updated etc.

3DLabs VP880 would be nice as well, but surprise surprise, they don't support Linux either, drivers are included in commercial Accelerated-X, which doesn't seem to support a self-made Linux.

So, unless someone has decent alternatives, looks like choices are pretty much in Nvidia area, GeForce or Quadro.

:blackeye:

A:A good graphics card for Linux?

I have never had any problems with ANY nvidia card in Linux. Installation of the drivers is easy and performance is always good.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/a-good-graphics-card-for-linux.15136/
Relevancy 27.52%

I purchased one hardware having 160GB capacity.
I attached to my system and started installation for Windows 2000 server.
But it is showing the hard disk size only 131GB.
My question:
How to enable total capacity of 160GB hard disk in Windows 2000 server and in Linux and in Solaris o/s

Thanking to all

A:How to enable 160GB hard disk in windows 2000 & Linux Environment

This is a hardware and OS limitation. Check for a BIOS update for your motherboard to enable 48-bit addressing or buy a separate ATA controller that can handle drives over 137GB.

You can enable 48-bit LBA in Windows 2000 via registry if it is not turned on during the install by default. You need SP3 or above for this.

Linux supports 48-bit addressing if you have kernel 2.4.18 or newer.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-enable-160gb-hard-disk-in-windows-2000-linux-environment.18723/
Relevancy 29.67%

Hi ppl,
An accident hapenned to me... I installed Mandrake 10.1 on my disk
but I accidentely located the bootloader (grub) on my windows (ntfs)
partition [not c(hda1), but d(hda4)]. Since that time it's not
accesible anymore. Any tips how to get it back working ? Thank you !

Btw: Partition Magic reports that my inaccesible disk is now "Type 07"
instead of "NTFS".

A:Linux MBR on NTFS = BAD!

NTFS has a backup of filesystem metadata some quarter way into the disk. Windows disk check should be able to fix it (or any other disk recovery software). You can use the recovery console from your Windows XP CD.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/linux-mbr-on-ntfs-bad.18575/
Relevancy 29.67%

I am doing a report for a Tech Class. We have to create a secure server for a goverment facility.

I was wondering what other peoples opnions are,would be the most secure server including it's o/s. This would be very helpful. Thank you.

A:Linux Servers..

Security is a pretty abstract concept. Nothing is really 100% secure unless no one ever sees it or uses it.

If you have to write an essay about security, then google search these topics:

public private key encryption
security permissions
users and groups
firewalls
secure sockets layer
IPSec
password attacks
dictionary attacks
trojan
tripwire
sniffer
port scanner
IP Spoofing
secure shell

the list kind of goes on forever and ever but basically theres a healthy mix of topics there to look at.

now, you need to work out what a government facility would be able to do. be protected from the outside? Well, probably not, because anything really secure that like would be protected from the rest of the world and not even given an internet connection. Security policy would be more focussed on internal employees, what groups you put users into and what groups can do. only system admins should be able to perform admin functions.

If I talk about this any more then I will be doing your homework for you, which I can't be assed with. But there's some ideas.

Believe it or not, there are some governments interested in running linux for security and so forth so if you google search on these things I am sure that you will find a story to pad this out with as well.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/linux-servers.10866/
Relevancy 29.24%

Hi, there,
I am thinking use my celeron 1.7 socket 478 on a linux system. Anyone knows which micro atx mobo with good linux support? I know Asus does offer some support on Linux driver ... just wondering are their any other choices. Besides that, this is my trial on Linux, are there any other related hardware issue I might need to be aware of like memory, hard drive, graphic card, CD-ROM, sound card or even network card?
The other components I might put in are as follow:
Maxtor 40GB ata133
Lite-On 16X DVD
SB!Live
PNY DDR333 512MB

If I want to have two OSs: XP and linux, which I should install first? Is it a good idea to patition the HD half and half for each of them?

Thank you for your time and attention. I really appreciate it.

A:linux supported components

You should install Windows first. You should refer to the dual boot thread, which is here:

http://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=214

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/linux-supported-components.8340/
Relevancy 29.24%

I have XP and linux partitions on my hard drive (20GB HDD partitioned into 12GB XP; 8GB linux) and I want to delete the linux partition i.e. I just want to use XP, remove the partition on my hard disk and give the space occupied by linux to XP. Could anyone pl. tell me how to do it? I have Partition Magic 7.

A:merging XP and linux partition

Just delete the linux partition, and then resize the NTFS one.... Surely you can do that?

Partition Magic is pretty intuitive, so just fire it up and have a look. If you've managed to create a dual boot system on your PC, you should have no problem operating partition magic.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/merging-xp-and-linux-partition.7917/
Relevancy 28.38%

Pretty self explanatory, I want to know things like the cluster sizes, comparibility in speed and other such things to FAT32 and NTFS, and partition size limits, losing space, etc.
I'd especially like to know the difference between ext2 and ext3. Which one's better, newer, faster, specialized, etc.
And what some effective partitioning strategies would be. Or does it not matter? What about fragmentation? Data recovery?

Boy I ask alot of questions, for I am young and set on the path of gaining knowledge

A:Can Anyone Explain the Linux Filesystems? (ext2, ext3, swap)

Veh,

There's really not a good answer to that question. Ext2 and Ext3 are both good filesystems - the differences. Well to keep this post short I'll just point you to a pretty good information page about ext3. It goes into the details of how the filesystem works. As far as a comparison to NTFS - well there really isn't a comparison.

Here's the page:

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/4136/4/

btw - I decided to wait on sending you the RH 7.3 CDs. RH 8.0 just came out so I'm going to send that to you instead, cool? I left them downloading at work - so I'll burn them Monday and send them sometime next week.

--deus

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-anyone-explain-the-linux-filesystems-ext2-ext3-swap.2709/
Relevancy 29.67%

Here is something I found talking about the new Linux based PDA It has tons of features and looks really promising and is made by Sharp Enough from me check it out http www myzaurus com Wireless Communications With optional peripherals and Sharp Mobile Services you can have wireless connectivity anytime anywhere Integrated Keyboard and Sliding Cover Sharp s clever integrated keyboard design allows easy data input without sacrificing space Edit text or e-mail effortlessly with a standard QWERTY keyboard CompactFlash and SD Expansion Slots Sharp combines the best of both worlds by offering soon!! Linux New based PDA out two expansion slots Two slots allow you to add two peripherals simultaneously such as a CompactFlash modem card and New Linux based PDA out soon!! SD memory card This seamless design makes upgrading easy and simple Mobile Multimedia Sharp s color LCD technology and high powered processor deliver top quality multimedia for all corporate and personal needs The SL- has a quot Color Reflective TFT Front-Lit Screen with x resolution for outstanding graphics and clarity indoors or out Stereo Headphone Jack Listen to your favorite music or movie clips anytime anywhere Stylus and Touch Screen In addition to the SL- built-in QWERTY keyboard the stylus and touch screen allows you to navigate through applications with ease One-Touch Access One-Touch Access allows you to instantly view calendar address book menu and e-mail with just one New Linux based PDA out soon!! press of a button Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery Rechargeable and replaceable long-life battery and easy recharge Linux Java Based Platform Linux and Java based architecture provides a powerful and open operating environment - allowing many Linux and Java developers to write applications for the SL- and integrated into various enterprise environments CPU StrongARM SA- MHz Platform Linux based embedded OS Embedix QT Palmtop Environment Personal Java Display Reflective TFT LCD with Front Light touch sensitive panel supported quot with x pixel colors Memory MB SDRAM MB FLASH ROM Input Device Touch Panel QWERTY keyboard with a slide cover Card Slot compact Flash Card slot SD card slot no copyright protection feature Click to expand nbsp

A:New Linux based PDA out soon!!

From the news forum ( 03-20-2002 ) :
CeBIT: Linux Mite(PDA) with Keyboard

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-linux-based-pda-out-soon.882/
Relevancy 29.67%

I switched from XP to Mint 17 about a month ago, and Mint does seem like a great alternative (especially considering it's free). As I get more into everyday use, though, I wonder how secure Linux really is. With Windows, there are huge companies built around antivirus and general security applications. With LInux, ClamAV, which seems pretty lackluster, is the only option. The Linux crowd tends to rely on the "fact" that malware is mostly written for Windows. Be that as it may, it's only a matter of time before somebody decides to exploit that. I don't know anything about the programming involved in this question about security, but just want to throw the question out there to get your thoughts. Thanks!

Edit: I meant to add that my Linux system is being used by my whole family, and they aren't as mindful of PC and online security as I am.

A:How secure is Linux?

I think Linux can be as vulnerable as Windows too if you don't install software from trusted sources like official repositories (and or PPAs) provided by your favourite Linux distribution and recklessly run everything with super user (root) privileges.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-secure-is-linux.207719/
Relevancy 29.67%

I would like to know if it is worth switching over to Linux from Windows. I have heard hat it is an amazing OS I just don't know how easy it is to switch over, how easy to obtain drivers once the switch has been made and so on. I would like to see if it would be easy to switch from my OS to Linux. I have windows 8.1 and here are my specs

GeForce 340.52 Driver
Version: 340.52 WHQL
Release Date: 29.7.2014

A:Windows to Linux

You can install Linux as a virtual OS running in something like VMWare Player (free). If you do that you'll see what you're getting without making radical changes. It's wonderful value because it's free but I'd prefer Windows over Linux. Is this curiosity or is it that you don't like Windows 8.1?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-to-linux.205555/
Relevancy 28.81%

Hello guys,

I'm a C++ programmer. And I'm also studying computer networking. I have heard many things about that how much the Linux is important in computer networking/networks and computer administration area. I think most popular distribution is Ubuntu but not sure whether it's also that important on networking area or not. Until now I have been only a Windows user (though I'm reading about the FreeBSD handbook to be familiar with it and also installed the Ubuntu on my virtual machine Vmware). I don't know what distribution is more important in that area and I'm somewhat confused what distribution/book I should start to work/read. Please tell me some info in this case and also suggest me an excellent book on the area of computer networking/networks.

A:A good book to be familiar with Linux

I have no idea what I'm talking about, at that admission absolves me of guilt.

I think you might want to deal with the commercial distros of Linux, such as "Red Hat". These are sold supported. But, I have no real idea if they're in the forefront now, or not.

But yeah, with Ubuntu, you just might be able to get a copy of, "Windows for Cheapskates", and read between the lines....

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/a-good-book-to-be-familiar-with-linux.198721/
Relevancy 28.81%

I have an older netbook with Win7 and it's painfully slow. I'd like to completely wipe the HDD and start fresh. It doesn't have an optical drive and I don't have access to a thumb drive, but it does have a built-in SD card reader and I have a 32GB SD card handy.

I'm curious about installing Linux on the netbook so I can actually surf the web at a decent pace. I have very little experience with Linux and am having trouble finding out how to make a bootable SD card, or if that's even possible.

Anyone have any Linux for netbooks advice or knowledge on installing an OS from an SD card? Thanks!

EDIT: I just found this guide online, but I'm not sure my netbook will allow to be booted from the built-in SD card slot.

A:Install Linux on Netbook using SD card

If you haven't already done so increasing the ram to 2Gb is useful. Unfortunately, netbooks only have a single slot for ram. Also, most apart from some Samsungs, have to be taken apart because they lack an access panel on the bottom. I installed Windows 8 on mine from a usb stick so you should be able to install Linux. A great opportunity was wasted with netbooks largely down to Microsoft calling the shots on the hardware specs and the lack of oomph with the atom processors. They shot themselves in the foot.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/install-linux-on-netbook-using-sd-card.204932/
Relevancy 29.24%

I'm trying to find a lite weight Linux distro for one of the computers in our office. Its has an AMD Athlon 2.1ghz with 480MB of RAM, and with XP Pro on it, its so sluggish.
We don't use it for much - all it has to do is access the web, load pdf & maybe tiff files, and be able to access our networked server, with an easy to use GUI desktop. Not asking much right .

I have used Ubuntu some, but still a Linux noob, so I was hoping someone had some good ideas for a distro.

Thanks.

A:Looking for lightweight Linux distro

Ubuntu would be ideal. It'll be absolutely fine on that hardware, and faster than XP Pro is currently too. The official minimum specs are here, though you may find your RAM will struggle to run a live CD for installation. I would recommend you install using the Ubuntu alternative CD instead.

The best thing to do is try to install from a live CD, and if that fails, install from the alternative CD instead. You'll experience some slow down due to the lower RAM, but it should handle simple stuff like office documents, email, web browsing etc without any issues at all.

I've also got a step by step Ubuntu installation guide in my signature below as well, so should answer anything your unsure about.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/looking-for-lightweight-linux-distro.153597/
Relevancy 29.24%

Puppy saved my laptop because I accidentally deleted the windows partition on my HDD in fact I am running it right now and it has Gparted yay I have 8 partitions on my HDD and am happy in fact im going to use android x86 alongside puppy.

A:If all else is too hard try puppy linux

Win xp now with androidx86 4.4.2 xp not working with all drivers

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/if-all-else-is-too-hard-try-puppy-linux.202001/
Relevancy 28.38%

Hi people, I would like to copy my dvds onto my hd in either avi or mp4 format while at the same time shrinking them down to a more manageable size (1gb or less) so I am able to watch them on my TV.
I was able to do this successfully on my previous windows machine but could do with some help on my Linux Ubuntu install as I have now ditched Microsoft products.

So to recap.

I need means to rip, resize, and convert my dvds onto my hd into avi/mp4 format please.

P.S. I am not looking for instruction to do anything illegal. I will only use it to copy dvds that allow such use.

Thanks

A:Shrinking and converting my copyright free dvds to avi/mp4 using Linux

Handbrake is free and should do the job.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/shrinking-and-converting-my-copyright-free-dvds-to-avi-mp4-using-linux.203500/
Relevancy 28.81%

Hi,

I have a linux virtual machine that I forgot which machine it being hosted on. Is it possible to find that some if I ssh into the virtual machine?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/find-host-machine-of-linux-virtual.157783/
Relevancy 28.38%

So see work progress, - Linux or - working Steam on A in We'll shortly! having got my assignment submitted this afternoon just found out I got by the way I was kicking for something to Steam on Linux - A work in progress, or working - We'll see shortly! do and came up with the idea to see if I could persuade Linux to run Office - It works well by the way So then I thought what else can I try then came up with the idea of trying steam So I downloaded it and then Steam on Linux - A work in progress, or working - We'll see shortly! proceeded to install it OK so it installed and then updated all well and good and came up with the membership screen So I made one up just to test it for now That completed happily too I now have steam installed and running in Linux A couple of things I noticed It seems very quick so far hehe It would only update at kB s less than my total download speed maybe it was the steam servers though So far so good Tomorrows fun will include me doing the following symlinking my current steam directories to save me having to download all my games again b Adding my SSD to automount at boot so it can find the symlinked folders Adding my real account once the above is done testing it with my games and see how they respond to use - If they work at all We ll soon find out Looks encouraging so far and wasted some time for me haha More to come tomorrow nbsp

A:Steam on Linux - A work in progress, or working - We'll see shortly!

So, had another little play with it this morning..

Got my account setup now, and its showing my games having linked my 'steamapps' folder. The games are showing, and L4D2 is working, as is TF2, all be it slowly. L4D2 will load up, but then dies. HF2 runs fine, though somewhat laggy, but it runs.

So I'm going to have more of a play in a bit, and maybe try and find out what these games depend on in order to run in Windows. I'm also going to double check my driver, and see if I can't use a slightly newer, or older, but more compatible version for my GPU.

Should keep me out of trouble with the missus for a couple of days any road! :haha:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/steam-on-linux-a-work-in-progress-or-working-well-see-shortly.157447/
Relevancy 29.24%

Hello ive never used linux but i since i got a second computer now id like to install it on it and installing help Need second Linux computer on try it out the computer that i will be Need help installing Linux on second computer using is quiet old quot has a pentium mhz quot So i installed linux bit iso burned to disk and tried booting from disk on my second computer it wont boot and it says quot no bootable cd detected quot and i also checked boot order and Cd-rom was checked for fitst option After careful inspection i realized that this computer has a CD-ROM and i burned on a dvd and CD-roms cant read dvd s face palm so i installed a spare dvd-rom in the Need help installing Linux on second computer drive hooked it up and the computer seems to not detect it and still says no bootable cd detected i tired unplugging Need help installing Linux on second computer all the other periphials exect the HD and the Dvd-rom quot There was cd-roms quot Do computers this old not detect dvd-roms I dont know what the problem is The motherboard is a MX B EZ quot Aopen quot Thanks nbsp

A:Need help installing Linux on second computer

Have a good read of my guide in my signature below.

Ubuntu 10.04 is also CD-rom sized, which in your case is important.

As for DVD drive problem: Is BIOS showing the DVD drive? If its connected with the IDE (ribbon) cable it needs to have the correct jumper settings in order to function. Positions of jumper settings vary, but your DVD drive will have its own order for jumpers on the case. Make sure its set as slave if its the 2nd drive connected to the ribbon cable.

With your CPU, I would suggest something very light, or your won't get the best use from Linux. Ubuntu might be too heavy (but its still worth trying for the experience if anything!), and a DVD install would definitely be too heavy.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-help-installing-linux-on-second-computer.151312/
Relevancy 28.81%

I'm working on a HTPC/DVD system, and I'm planing on running Mythbuntu for the OS/DVR system. Does anyone know how AMD/ATI's drivers are for Linux? I'm thinking of running a SAPPHIRE 100292DDR3L Radeon HD 5450 1GB 64-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card graphics card in it.

And if there is decent driver support for Hauppauge WinTV Tuner cards on Linux? Going to get some like
Hauppauge WinTV-HVR 1850 (updated version of 1800) MCE Kit 1128 PCI-Express x1 Interface down the road.

A:Linux driver support for ATI and Hauppauge cards

There are two breeds of linux driver for AMD/ATI: The FOSS drivers, such as the xorg radeon and radeonhd divers and the closed source ATI proprietary driver: known as fglrx. For your card, based on the evergreen GPU, you are going to be looking at using fglrx as the support for evergreen is far from complete in the open drivers at present.

No idea with regards to TV tuner cards.

You are asking this question at the wrong place however. This is not a linux community/support forum. Head over the phoronix forums, linuxquestions or go the distro specific forum (i.e. in your case the ubuntu forums).

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/linux-driver-support-for-ati-and-hauppauge-cards.156487/
Relevancy 28.81%

I have a Toshiba Laptop with Windows 7, specs are listed in my system specs, and would like to try tinkering and spending time learning new stuff. I want to be able to dual-boot and it would be nice if the OS is stable enough that it won't destroy my windows 7 to the point of having to reinstall everything.

P.s. - I have no experience with linux, but am ready to learn and spend some time on it.

Thanks in advance

A:Please recommend a good Linux distro for my laptop

Most people consider "Ubuntu" the most polished Linux distro; http://www.ubuntu.com/

That said, you won't destroy your Windows installation installing it either. This assumes that your HDD is much closer to empty, than it is to full, so there won't be any problem creating a small Linux partition. Ubuntu reads NTFS, all you files would be accessible with it.

Now, there are problems if you decide you no longer want Linux on the machine. "GRUB", the Linux boot loader, sets Linux as the default OS and Windows must be chosen at startup. Attempting to remove Linux trashes GRUB, and there must be repairs made to the Windows install, or it no bootie.

I haven't dealt with LInux in a while, the novelty kinda wore off for me.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/please-recommend-a-good-linux-distro-for-my-laptop.155657/
Relevancy 28.81%

Okay, I have two socket 939 machines with XP collecting dust. Nevertheless they are quite stable and more than meets the requirements to run any version of Linux.

One has four gigs of RAM and the other two and both processors are AMD. I was wondering what you think of Mint and if there is another version of Linux you would recommend for the beginner.

Keep this in mind: When it comes to Linux I am a complete NOOB. So the more user friendly the better because I am clueless.

Linux has been something I have always been curious about and wanted to give it a go. Plus I am bored. I need to learn something new and it seems a waste to leave 2 very serviceable machines go to waste.

Thanks.

A:Thinking of Trying Linux Mint 16 Cinnemon on Old Systems

Linux mint is the right choice for beginners. CPU spec and amount of installed RAM sounds reasonable, can you please provide a little more information about installed GPU model? And are they using an AGP slot or a new PCI-Express one?

If your GPU is an AGP based AMD/ATI card, there is a very low chance to get graphics drivers working and have a smooth desktop and video playback experience. However you can use the machine as a glorious type writer, music player or a small home server which might overheat due to bad GPU drivers.

If that's a PCI-Express based AMD/ATI card, you are lucky and you can use it for daily work and casual gaming as a bonus. For the best AMD Linux experience (Hardware accelerated FullHD video playback and serious gaming) you will need to install a RadeonHD5000+ card.

For NVIDIA cards it should just work outside of the box once you install their proprietary graphics drivers.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/thinking-of-trying-linux-mint-16-cinnemon-on-old-systems.201533/
Relevancy 27.95%

There are a few types of superuser elevation prompts that hangs Mint machine Linux temporarily Superuser prompt on appear and I apologise for not knowing their proper names All of them appear and operated as directed EXCEPT the one that appears with the darkened desktop which hangs my machine for well over a minute before the prompt appears and everything runs as normal By hangs the loading circle goes into slow motion and the mouse is still active but nothing can be clicked on or interacted with The quot Authenticate quot elevation dialogue Superuser prompt on Linux Mint temporarily hangs machine appears exactly as designed and any sudo commands Superuser prompt on Linux Mint temporarily hangs machine in terminal operates as it should but the other prompt will hang the machine every time And interesting example If I go into the menu and click on Synaptic the Authenticate dialogue will appear straight away and the program operates as normal But if I run gksudo synaptic it sends my machine into one minute limbo I did a fresh reinstall of the distro to the same effect Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/superuser-prompt-on-linux-mint-temporarily-hangs-machine.201020/
Relevancy 28.81%

Alright guys, I was adding a line to my .profile for OpenGL to play L4D2 and after I re-booted and all of that when I log in I get this
"Your session only lasted less than 10 seconds. if you have not logged out yourself, this could mean that there is some installation problem or that you may be out of diskspace. Try logging in with one of the failsafe sessions to see if you can fix this problem.

View details (~/.xsession-errors file)
/etc/mdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
etc/mdm/Xsession: 25: /home/milsurp-santa/ .profile: Syntax Error Unterminated Quoted String"

Any idea what to do?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/linux-mint-syntax-error.200975/
Relevancy 28.81%

We had a Novell suse linux open enterprise server running happily some months, but an attempt to use a new Acronis image package to create a server image failed, leaving us with a server that will not properly boot.

It seems that during the boot process, whenever it tries to write anything, a message is generated saying 'no more space on drive'. This is not correct, of course, and after starting the server recovery process and using the expert partitioning tool, it seems that all the partition information is correct except that the columns 'mount point' and 'mount by' are empty - apart from the linux swap partition.

The expert partitioner does not seem to allow these two values (mount point, mount by) to be edited.

Is there any way to recover this server where all the system and data is almost certainly intact, but inaccessible because of a simple partition table corruption?

Acronis Backup & Recovery? 10 Advanced Server

A:SUSE Linux partition error

Can you not just boot into recovery mode using your CD/DVD, log in as root and then manually edit your fstab file again?

Or as root re-setup your bootup manager, as thats likely your issue.

I've had quite a few issues setting LiLo from my MBR due to having Seagate Disc Wizard (Acronis true image) installed on my main PC. It would seem Acronis' recovery console that is installed when you install the software conflicts, or in some way affects the operation of LiLo's bootloader. I'm not entirely sure why to be honest.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/suse-linux-partition-error.154770/
Relevancy 28.81%

I just finished installing Linux on to my Dell laptop. For some reason, it doesn't even recognize my wireless card when trying to establish my internet connection.

Could it be that my wireless card is not compatible with Linux?
Perhaps my service provider has something to do with it?

please help!!

A:Can't connect to wireless internet after installing Linux

More information is needed please:
What is the model of your Dell?
What's the tag no?
What linux are you using?
If you know the make and model of your wireless card this would be useful as well.

This information is important as we need to know what wireless card your laptop has, and what linux your running to advise you further.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-connect-to-wireless-internet-after-installing-linux.154549/
Relevancy 29.24%

Next LTS is coming out Apr 29

A:Ubuntu Linux 10.04 is (coming) out

This is a long term release.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ubuntu-linux-10-04-is-coming-out.146485/
Relevancy 29.24%

Hey guys I ve only just installed Linux today and I m brand new to the OS I keep getting a problem with my secondary HDD The facts GB SSD Partition Windows on GB Linux on GB GB spare for w e I then have a TB Western Digital Caviar Blue dynamic HDD partitioned into main sections but they re a bit split up problems Mounting on Linux due to a repartitioning issue - see photo The Stuff partition I can access from Linux but the Games and Spare partitions give me this message every time I try and mount Error mounting system-managed device dev sdb Command-line mount quot mnt CFFFC CFFC Mounting problems on Linux D quot exited with non-zero exit status Failed to read last sector Invalid argument Mounting problems on Linux HINTS Either the volume is a RAID LDM but it wasn t setup yet or it was not setup correctly e g by not using mdadm --build or a wrong device is tried to be mounted or the partition table is corrupt partition is smaller than NTFS or the NTFS boot sector is corrupt NTFS size is not valid Failed to mount dev sdb Invalid argument The device dev Mounting problems on Linux sdb doesn t seem to have a valid NTFS Maybe the wrong device is used Or the whole disk instead of a partition e g dev sda not dev sda Or the other way around Being a complete newbies I have no idea what to do can you help nbsp

A:Mounting problems on Linux

Hiya. You are getting this error because you are trying to mount a partition of a Windows 'Dynamic Disk', which the 'mount' program can't handle without some considerable preliminary setup. Not sure if you can convert it back to 'Basic Disk' or not, but that would be the simplest.

If you are determined, well it'll be a good learning experience. Here's some instructions (haven't tried them, myself):

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=68232

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/mounting-problems-on-linux.197453/
Relevancy 29.24%

I have window 8 on C drive I would want to install linux on E drive how can I do that ?

A:How to install linux on different partition

Defragment your drive, download a linux distro and get it onto a cd/dvd/usb stick (burn the image to dvd or use unetbootin to make usb stick bootable). Boot up from that and pay attention to what the screens are saying. Any? (certainly most) modern linux distro is going to hold your hand through the install and resize your Windows partition and create new ones for linux to be installed to. Pick a big name distro and read the screens and you pretty much can't screw it up. (although as always, you are going to want to have a backup of your very important files just incase something goes horribly wrong)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-install-linux-on-different-partition.196893/
Relevancy 28.81%

I downloaded:

debian-7.1.0-amd64-netinst.iso
ubuntu-12.04.3-desktop-i386.iso
After trying to install Debian, I think but not sure my problem was installing a 64-bit client. I'm not sure VirtualPC will handle 64-bit clients. Anyway after reading a few post through the forum, I think I should start with Ubuntu. After downloading Ubuntu and trying to get VirtualPC to mount the ISO, it errors out before it even starts. Something about "Segmentation Fault".

Is this due to allowing VirtualPC to create the partition?
Do I need to format the partition to a different file system before trying to install Ubuntu?
I was hoping Ubuntu would format the partition for me. As it is I have no clue what partition type to use.

A:Win7 VirtualPC Linux install failure

I recommend using Virtual Box. Try using it and see if that works. I dont think this is an issue, but do you have Virtualization enabled in BIOS?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/win7-virtualpc-linux-install-failure.196710/
Relevancy 28.81%

Im going to college for a computer science degree and i was advised to get used to the linux os. I did so and during this time i found out that there are pentesting courses at the college for a masters degree. I researched some linux distros and found that the new backtracks 4 is the best for, i dare say "hacking", the only problem i found was that it was heavy. My question therefore is which are the most useful programs for a student wanting to become a good professional pentester or off in that field direction.

I am currently running arch linux an have found that to be my fav.

A:Linux: Penetration Testing Programs

hmm; PennTesting? I'm sure you are refering to Penetration Testing and if so highly recommend using the full name in the title of your posting

I'll respond if you concur that is the subject of the post....

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/linux-penetration-testing-programs.147638/
Relevancy 28.81%

OK I had to investigate this just recently so I thought I would share Vista Linux boot Dual and Here is what to do if you want to add Linux to Vista s boot menu rather than using Grub in the Master Boot Record Install Vista as normal Install Linux but install Grub Dual boot Vista and Linux to the bootsector of your partition which from now on we will call dev sda and NOT the MBR i e dev sda Boot Linux from the install CD choose rescue mode From the command prompt in rescue mode mount your Linux installation partition i e mount dev sda mnt sysimage then chroot it chroot mnt sysimage reinstall Grub just to make sure that its working OK sbin grub-install dev sda now make a file image of the bootsector of dev sda dd if dev sda of bootsect lin bs count copy the bootsect lin to somewhere you will be able to get it back when in Vista Now back in Vista copy bootsect lin to c open a command prompt with cmd and do the following bcdedit displayorder current bcdedit create d quot Linux quot application BOOTSECTOR should say something like created entry it will give it a name like cfc cf -f - db-b - c then bcdedit set cfc cf -f - db-b - c device boot bcdedit set cfc cf -f - db-b - c PATH bootsect lin bcdedit displayorder cfc cf -f - db-b - c addlast bcdedit timeout Reboot Linux is now in the boot menu which if you select it you will go into Grub Easy eh nbsp

A:Dual boot Vista and Linux

Thanks. Your work looks useful.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-boot-vista-and-linux.76345/
Relevancy 30.1%

I have a very old Compaq Presario 2800 that I need to get up and running just as an internet terminal. Specs: Intel 1.4Ghz Celeron, 512 MB Ram, ATI Mobility 7500 Video, 20 Gig HD. I have installed Ubuntu 9.10 on it and I need several tips. First it is very sluggish. Should I try another distro or can I optimize this one to work better? Where do I go to to check that I have drivers for all the sub-systems (graphics, wireless, sound, etc)? I have to manually install the wireless drivers everytime I start the system, how do I get these to autoload (see this article on how I did it).

A:Need Linux help

ubuntu is not known for being particularly lightweight. you may want to try another distro on a computer like that. there are so many, it becomes hard to choose. have a look at puppy linux. or arch linux for super lightweights. or even TinyMe. drivers etc can be a headache...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-linux-help.139513/
Relevancy 30.1%

Anyone know anything about Linux?
I have one of these little 8" netbooks which worked well on a holiday last year. On digging it out recently I found the browser didn't work. Click on the icon and it appears to load but then nothing happens - no error message at all. The email works OK.
First problem - I have no idea what version of Linux it is as I don't know how to get at the OS. I am ashamed to admit this, so bear with me.
Second problem - even if I knew how to get at the guts of the thing, I have no idea how to check and fix a broken app in linux.
Third problem - there must be a command prompt equivalent somewhere but I cannot find it!
Could some friendly soul tell me what to do?
cheers

A:Anyone know anything about Linux?

Have a look at these links.

http://www.linux.com/learn/docs/ldp/282996-choosing-the-best-linux-distributions-for-you

http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major

It's going to be quite a task mastering any of the distros, and weird bugs will always bug you.

Documentation is there, but support is rather poor.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/anyone-know-anything-about-linux.147126/
Relevancy 27.52%

I am trying to use puppy to recover data from my XP SP3. I can get the puppy to load by entering puppy pfix=ram,noram. The system loads and I can start to search the drives, the keyboard and mouse work for about a minute and then they stop responding. Any clue as to why they stop responding?

A:Puppy linux for data recovery, mouse and keyboard stop working

don;t know why but might be easier to just try the latest Knoppix See How to recover your folders/files when Windows won?t boot

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/puppy-linux-for-data-recovery-mouse-and-keyboard-stop-working.146094/
Relevancy 28.81%

Hey guys So I am trying to get my feet wet good time a linux first user Need with Linux However I have had bad luck with sabayan I was told it was a good one for first time users however after the instilation or what said to be a gnome version I got a black screen So I tried another version and I am stuck in the command line only sort of thing I cant get any where with it So getting to the point I am going to try DSL but I want to know your guys suggestions What I am looking for is sort of a plug and play type Meaning I wont have to fight with command lines just to attempt to get a graphical interface I want it so I just install and boom desktop Prefferably something lower on the required experience level nothing quot bleeding edge quot - which I am assuming means it really advanced tools Something smaller on resources I switched to linux because windows took up way too many resources So Need a good first time user linux I guess throw me your distros XD ---edit--- Oh and if it has an FTP sort of download page Tell me which link I need to use I always feel like im gonna grab the wrong link or not all of what I need nbsp

A:Need a good first time user linux

You can try Knoppix and buy the CD or download and burn one.

A major advantage is booting from a CD will give you Linux GUI w/o an install to your HD - - try before you install

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-a-good-first-time-user-linux.192332/
Relevancy 28.81%

How do I switch my OS from Linux to Windows Vista? I do not like Linux and would like Vista. My laptop I bought has Linux. Is there a somewhat easy way to do this?
Please HELP>>>>>>

A:Switching OS from Linux to Windows Vista

Insert Vista install disk, follow on screen directions.

The setup won't be able to install to the linux partitions, but you'll be able to delete them.. This is all pretty obvious during the Vista setup. Vista and 7's install is much nicer than XPs.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/switching-os-from-linux-to-windows-vista.144868/
Relevancy 28.81%

I am trying to instaall Linux onto my one PC which has Windows Media Centre on it.

This machines Pentium 4, 2 GB RAM

every time I try to intall Linux Live

the screen loads I hit English then 2nd option "Install Linux - then freezes right away as in progress bar goes back and forth only a few time. then I get these wierd erros see attached.

I am told I can use VirtualBox but I have no idea how to run it - I set it up but that is about it.

Can anyone please help me please

David

A:Help installing Linux / dual boot

IO errors and squashFS errors. Which distro is this? I assume it's a livecd, is it Ubuntu or similar? This is a known problem with LiveCDs and is usually down to an incompatible optical drive/BIOS - there are some workarounds but it does not always work.

First ensure that you haven't got a defective disc and run the CD check from the boot splash screen. If the disc is defective try burning it again at a slower speed. If after trying the above, you're sure the disc is fine, see below:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SquashfsErrors

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-installing-linux-dual-boot.143556/
Relevancy 27.95%

What distro of Linux is the best for booting from and recovering data from an otherwise inaccessible hard drive? I've heard Knoppix is good but in there link I wasn't exactly sure which one I wanted to download, for example what is meant by boot only version? ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/knoppix-dvd/

A:Booting from Linux CD to recover data from busted hard drive

Knoppix is good and so is an Ubuntu disk.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/booting-from-linux-cd-to-recover-data-from-busted-hard-drive.189904/
Relevancy 29.24%

Okay, I just downloaded linux mint and burned the iso onto a disk and I was looking around do I have to have unbuntu to install mint? :c

A:Newbie to Linux Mint

If you're this new to Linux, maybe start off with Ubuntu.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/newbie-to-linux-mint.189749/
Relevancy 30.1%

Hello world,

So I am some what of a network administrator at my job. Our network is comprised of windows computers and Macs, but no Linux machines at all. They want me to setup a phone server for there VOIP service we get from our ISP but I have no clue how to use linux at all. Any recommendation on destros for a beginner trying to do advance things. But I would also like to learn Linux in the process.

Thanks in advance.

A:First Linux OS

Well given that you need to learn I would recommend you stick close to the distro that will support your works new VOIP service.

If you just want to learn Linux I would recommend something like Linux Mint, or Ubuntu. That said, it depends on what you'll be using at work. If it's going to be RHEL then I strongly recommend you download centOS or Fedora and learn to use that instead as package management and general administration is slightly different on rpm-based distros compared with debian-based distros like Ubuntu and Mint.

So the next step would be to establish what distro of Linux is suitable for running the new service, and then choose the closest distro from there. So what Linux does it need to use?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/first-linux-os.189595/
Relevancy 28.38%

I deleted the Ubuntu partition from a XP Home/Ubuntu dual boot system. I needed the space on the drive for Windows data & programs. I used parted magic and expanded the remaining primary partition. On boot I get the following

GRUB loading stage1.5.

GRUB loading, please wait
Error 22

That is all I get

I need to be able to launch into Windows for work related data. How do I remove GRUB and will that allow windows to start?

Any suggestions? I'm a bit at a loss right now on how to proceed.
Thanks for any help
Monton

A:Deleted Linux partion from dual boot now can't start

Do you have Windows XP install media? You could do a repair install. I'm not sure about Windows XP, but Windows 7 will repair damaged or missing boot files.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/deleted-linux-partion-from-dual-boot-now-cant-start.189157/
Relevancy 29.67%

First of all Merry Christmas guys it s finally been a year So my old acer laptop decided help Need on USB Linux on LiveCD to stop working and upon closer look I found out that the HDD is dead So I am looking for Live CDs that can be Need help on Linux LiveCD on USB used for this laptop before Need help on Linux LiveCD on USB it s going down the rubbish bin The main purpose of this laptop is to monitor x TP-Link IP Cameras SC G and SC G At the moment it uses its built-in quot Surveillance Software quot that captures the MPEG stream from the camera directly However rtsp or mjpeg is also supported and I clearly dont mind using those So long I dont have to get out of the house to see who is outside Here is what I ve done so far So the first thing I did Get Ubuntu Live CD and put it into USB drive as per pendrivelinux instruction Version didn t work because there is no PAE support on Pentium M Version works but it s too slow Version work but app store seems to be broken as there s no LTS Version is the best so far Almost everything works The built-in Wi-Fi works Intel BG internal speaker and microphone touchpad even the hotkey combination Then I installed VLC hoping I could just play two rtsp from those cameras and done Except unlike VLC in Windows there is no timeout settings and it will stop working after a while unless I stop and play it again Not giving up went to try mjpeg stream from firefox Same luck it will stop after a while So I search around and found zoneminder Installed it but couldn t got the camera working Try middling with all settings and gave up The next day ubuntu wont boot from the usb saying it has I O errors Actually that happened quite a lot and I have to re-image the USB drive for quite some time now Jumped ship to fedora VLC isn t even able to display rtsp stream got some I O errors despite using different USB drive Read on the fedora web that due to the nature of persistence file it will eventually run out of space and unable to boot At this rate of difficulty I think back of Windows Tried Bart PE using a Windows XP installation CD this laptop has a XP Home license on it and then using PE to Drive application No dice After a series of frustration I found a solution create a html file that displays both mjpg in desires width and height so all I have to do now is just open it using firefox voila no more third-party applications no more nonsense However the problem is that sometimes I couldn t shut down ubuntu usually says I O error some times I can and the most problematic is unable to boot because there are no space on mounting drive I searched around and it seems this problem is here to stay as the persistence file will get used up until eventually the USB stick ran out of it anyone have any suggestion at the moment the laptop works okay but occasionally if it is turned off then I ll have a problem thanks in advance nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-help-on-linux-livecd-on-usb.188479/
Relevancy 28.81%

Hi there, people of the internet.
I'm having some issues trying to re-install Windows 7 back to my laptop having switching fully to Linux Mint 16. I've got an ISO file for the installation of Windows (I have genuine code) but having some massive fail moments trying to work it.

I've used the USB Image Writter to put my ISO file onto my formatted USB but when I try to boot from it from restart I get the error "No Boot Sector on USB" So that has confused me quite so. I'm using a Dell Inspiron i545 and having a nightmare with it.

I don't have any side portions of Windows just 100% Linux. If I can get some help It will be greatly appreciated.

Forever in your debt,
Martin.

A:Trouble with Re-Installing Windows from Linux Mint 16 - ISO-USB

From Wikipaedia:

There is no standard definition for ISO image files. ISO disc images are uncompressed and do not use a particular container format; they are a sector-by-sector copy of the data on an optical disc, stored inside a binary file. ISO images are expected to contain the binary image of an optical media file system (usually ISO 9660 and its extensions or UDF), including the data in its files in binary format, copied exactly as they were stored on the disc. The data inside the ISO image will be structured according to the file system that was used on the optical disc from which it was created.Click to expand...

So although an .iso file of (say) linux might well be bootable, it's not true that all .iso images are. I don't know what that .iso image actually is, although it might well be an image of a Windows 7 setup CD. But that is not how it looks on a USB drive. I think you will have to go back to the setup CD and take a more normal type of exact copy, or re-write it to USB with a more explicit instruction to the writing software that 'this is supposed to be bootable'.

Just in case - have you checked in the bios that a USB drive can be set 'bootable', and that it is top of the drives list ?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/trouble-with-re-installing-windows-from-linux-mint-16-iso-usb.199783/
Relevancy 28.81%

I got a left handed Razer Deathadder mouse I installed the drivers on Windows and it works great. Sadly there aren't any drivers for Linux and the mouse sensitivity is all messed up. In the settings I have 0 acceleration but it still moves to fast at the slightest movement. Any solutions?

A:Razer mouse sensitivity out of wack on Linux

This might help you : Lowering Mouse Sensitivity in Ubuntu and Fedora

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/razer-mouse-sensitivity-out-of-wack-on-linux.185751/
Relevancy 28.81%

This is something I have struggled with for a long time so now I m seaking outside help I m trying to sync my music collection Linux Windows between sync option Good and between my main game Pc Windows XP my media server Win my quot shop quot laptop Xubuntu and my quot take with me quot laptop Ubuntu oh and my g f Win laptop I m probabaly going to stop keeping music on my gaming machine and just Good sync option between Windows and Linux stream from my media server but my two laptop don t Good sync option between Windows and Linux have that option all the time mostly the Ubuntu laptop that I take with me everywhere I would like anytime I add or remove a song from my Ubuntu laptop for it to happen on all other machines Same for the other computers I used Drop Box for syncing smaller files but I have about gigs for music To much for any free cloud syncing programs I have found I tried Unison and it installs wonderfully on Ubuntu but doesnt want to work worth crap for my on Win Any sugguetions I would like to keep them fairly simple and automated Come home boot up laptop new music syncs nbsp

A:Good sync option between Windows and Linux

After doing more digging around I haven't really found anything free that meets my needs. Thinking of just doing the paid Ubuntu One 20gig setup for $2.99 a month and give it a try.

Unless anyone else has a better suggestion. They are cheaper than Dropbox's $10 for 50gigs.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/good-sync-option-between-windows-and-linux.179462/
Relevancy 28.81%

Decided to dig in and mess around with linux since my unix class has gotten the bug stirred up in me again. I found an old laptop(acer aspire 5003 wlmi) but the monitor was broken so I took it off and am VGA'd into my acer h213h.

so I loaded fedora 17(thats the distro we are using in my class) and got it all up to date but there is no 16:9 ratio screen resolution(I don't care about getting it all the way up to 1920 by 1080) just want to be able to work with straining my eyes.

SO my question is this: are there drivers for the video card: sis m760gx (or the monitor) that will allow a 16:9 ratio?

thanks for any help with my first delving into linux!

A:Looking to see if a certain driver exists (first time with Linux)

Hmm, IMO, not likely. Linux is not a media platform and fedora is a nice client/server base - -
I would expect standard 4:3 at a good resolution would be the best you could do.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/looking-to-see-if-a-certain-driver-exists-first-time-with-linux.185817/
Relevancy 29.24%

So part of me feels like I didn't read into Linux enough before I made the jump, but I'm having one hell of a time trying to get a lot of things on Slacko Puppy running. Currently I'm only running it from a flash drive, but I'm in the process of attempting to use GParted to reformat my hard drive. That being said, I have absolutely no clue how to install programs. I've used the Puppy Package Manager, but I don't get how installation happens. It just looks like every time I try to open any installation files, all it does is open xarchive or the "zip" program, basically leaving me with nothing but lists of files or a bunch of data about filetypes.

I just need to know how to get GParted up and running so I can move on. Can anyone help?

A:Need help with Slacko Puppy Linux

Well nevermind, I just found that GParted came built-in with the OS. Awesome.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-help-with-slacko-puppy-linux.184395/
Relevancy 29.24%

First I m a linux noob Just made the switch on my laptop and I love it That got me thinking of how much I d enjoy linux over the not-so-great Windows computers at my university So here s the situation - The campus computers are laggy and won t let you install anything except spotify for some reason - I have a GB usb - The tech support here said that the computers probably won t boot from a cd or usb because the they are all connected to some off-site server that controls what is booted I was wondering if any of you knew how Booting Linux restarting on without USB I can force the computer to boot from the usb Is GB fine for Linux mint Will it still work if I switched to a different computer I don t know if it might automatically load drivers for that specific hardware and not know what to do when I go to Booting Linux on USB without restarting a different computer Thanks nbsp

A:Booting Linux on USB without restarting

You could do that, but you'd need to find a way of booting it from USB first, otherwise it wouldn't work. I would imagine they'd have protections in place to prevent exactly that thing from happening to be honest.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/booting-linux-on-usb-without-restarting.184826/
Relevancy 28.81%

Before we get started two things are needed A USB memory stick with at least GB capacity A computer laptop capable of booting from USB devices So in this guide I m going to explain how you can utilise a spare USB memory stick as a tool to install and memory Linux to run or a install stick to Guide using USB use in live mode Linux distro s thus completely replacing the need to burn CD s It is also much quicker to run in live mode and installs your chosen linux Guide to using a USB memory stick to install or run Linux much faster as well So let s get started Step First thing we re going to do is download your favourite Linux live distro In this case I m downloading Ubuntu Linux bit edition Save it to the desktop to make life easier shortly Step Insert your USB memory stick Then quick format it to ensure everything is clear and it s ready for changing into a bootable USB stick At this point make note of its assigned drive letter Remove any other memory sticks Step Download Linux live USB creator from here http www linuxliveusb com and save it to your desktop Step Double click the exe file you just downloaded and Click run when the security warning box opens Extract the contents when requested Step Double click on the Linux Live USB Creator folder on your desktop and double click on the LiLi USB Creator exe file The program will now open and you should see it as below Step Select your USB memory stick Here you see mine selected Make sure its the assigned drive letter you took note of before Caution Make certain you have the correct drive letter You don t want one of your hard drives being formatted by accident Step Click on the image above ISO IMG ZIP Navigate to your desktop and then highlight your previously downloaded linux live distro Click Open It will then proceed to check the integrity of the ISO image and you ll see a progress bar like below Once completed it will come up with the following Step Select the size of saved memory you require Because this is recognised as a USB disk you are able to use it not only as a live linux desktop you can also save to it like you can in a real installation I find it very useful for keeping certain software installed that I can use to trouble shoot computers You could use it to store pictures or software pre-downloaded if you like So set how much you want I ve set mine at the maximum I can have If you re not interested in setting it up just leave it at MB and go to the next step Step Set it up as below I advise you turn off Enable launching LinuxLive in Windows Option as it can be a bit temperamental and really is not needed to install or run your Linux Ensure the Format option is selected and hide created files is ticked nbsp

A:Guide to using a USB memory stick to install or run Linux

Step 10: Click the lightning tab to start installation.

It?ll start extracting the ISO to the USB memory stick like below:

It will then build up the space for your persistence (to save items)

It?ll then format the persistence file as below (mines approx 15min due to being 3.3GB in size)

Once complete this will appear, and a page will load in your web browser:

It?s now safe to close the application. You?re done. J

Step 11: To use this, press whichever key your prompted to press during bootup to enable you to select what drive to boot with. Then select your memory stick, and hey presto, it?ll start and run exactly like a CD/DVD would, but MUCH faster!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/guide-to-using-a-usb-memory-stick-to-install-or-run-linux.151482/
Relevancy 29.67%

hey everyone I love the site I have a qwestion that im not to sure about im trying to use this os called porteus its a open source full linux help OS Portable Linux os and basically what im trying to do is install it on my usb and set it up the right way so Portable Linux OS help that I can boot up the computer via usb this link here http unetbootin sourceforge net makes the process so much easyer but Portable Linux OS help with the porteus link here http porteus org distro-download download-latest- -bit html im not sure what files to download im assuming I go into current folder then download the iso but I dont know if I have to download the other files im using the bit os as this example which is the one I want to use please explain what I have to do is it possable for me to use this os on my usb without logging into the computer why I ask this is because one of the features is allowing you to use this even if the hardrive of the computer is broken thank you for your patience nbsp

A:Portable Linux OS help

most of the time, when an article points to an ISO file, that is the only file needed by you.
When you 'burn' the ISO to the new media, it is expanded with EVERYTHING needed - - that is the whole point of an ISO.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/portable-linux-os-help.184256/
Relevancy 29.24%

Ok heres my problem i have a acer aspire one netbook that i can not get to work. Now i question is can i install linux on this computer as a primary os? And if so which one is the best one to install? Any help would be greatly appriciated. Any info you need i can post just ask.
-Ishmael

A:Noob needs advise on linux

Is it just me, or are there no knowledgeable Linux users on this forum? I thought Linux was popular... I guess not

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/noob-needs-advise-on-linux.132100/
Relevancy 28.81%

My girlfriend recently moved over from Australia to the U S and gave me her old laptop a input How do with fingerprint M100 on Linux? a a Toshiba I Toshiba Satellite M saying How do I input a fingerprint on a Toshiba M100 with Linux? there were issues with it turning itself off and lagging badly So I wiped the drive to fix the lag and installed Linux instead of Windows on How do I input a fingerprint on a Toshiba M100 with Linux? it This did fix the lag but not the turning itself off I m thinking this has something to do with the battery as it does it when you set it down sometimes After installing Linux we had the hairbrain idea of inputting my fingerprint into the scanner as she can t remember the bios password Anyways after deciding to input my print and putting Linux on the computer instead of Windows she tells me that the only way she can remember how to input my print is from the security center on the Windows desktop Not gonna help me any with it not having Windows So my question is is there anyway to input my print on Linux or do I have to figure out the bios password If it s figuring out the password how do I do so nbsp

A:How do I input a fingerprint on a Toshiba M100 with Linux?

Which distribution have you installed?

Post output:

Code:
lspci

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-i-input-a-fingerprint-on-a-toshiba-m100-with-linux.161933/
Relevancy 29.67%

hi,
Im new to this whole linux thing and after extenssive rearch and testing, have finally got freespire installed. Believe me it took some hard work but now I'm faced with a new problem. I open up CNR and the CNR.com and click install on my wanted application - it says installing and then installation failed and exits! Do you know why this its? It happens with all packages!

Thanks,

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/linux-freespire-cnr-help.94960/
Relevancy 29.24%

one that recognizes more than 8 gb ram

A:That version works on 64 bit linux

What??? Am I missing something? What exactly is it that you're asking?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/that-version-works-on-64-bit-linux.133586/
Relevancy 29.67%

Please i want to buy a new system and i want to use linux on it can someone give me the best p.c specs for using linux o.s

A:Best PC spec for Linux

hey

Since windows is a dominant in user aspect , what are you going to do with linux ?

How about installing vwware and spend money on something good ;P

Otherwise anything cheap that have a compatible network adapter and touchpad will do ;P

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/best-pc-spec-for-linux.160950/
Relevancy 28.81%

I have just ordered a Dell inspiron 6400 with ubunto pre-installed.

I think its really cool that there is a laptop being sold by a big manufacturer with linux installed - linux seem to be making alot of headway!

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else has bought this laptop, and what its like?

If not I will post something on here when I get it.

Also, might be coming on here for some advice!!

Dave

A:Dell inspiron 6400n With linux pre-installed

I have a feeling your ahead of everybody with this one. :haha:

We look forward to hearing your report.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-6400n-with-linux-pre-installed.87311/