Windows Support Forum

z600 upgrades CPU, HD

Q: z600 upgrades CPU, HD

i've got a new to me z600 workstation. Looking to upgrade it for video editing. Currently it's running windows XP pro, looking to upgrade that. Currently it has a X5550 chipset( single) 3gb ramCurrently it's running dual 160gb hd's Looking to upgrade the CPU's dual processors, largest possible. and max out ram (24gb) What should I use?Hard drive, looking to install a SSD Any help is appreciated

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: z600 upgrades CPU, HD

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: z600 upgrades CPU, HD

I am working on a Z600 project right now, so this is timely. You will need to use the search box on this page upper left area, which searches this forum only. 1. First step is to see if you have an original motherboard or the later "revision 1" motherboard. Best way to tell is if you look up the boot block date in BIOS, under the first tab. The boot block date tells you if you have original or revision 1 most easily. 2. Assuming it is the better later motherboard, then you need to find the latest Z600 QuickSpecs.... its in the 50s, maybe 51 or 58. From that you can look at the HP supported processors. Your memory should be the faster 1333 type but most of those processors listed there run slower than that. 3 run at the faster speed which will let your memory run faster too. You can choose from those 3 for the best heavy lifting. Note that the fastest quad core is faster than the fastest hexacore. So, if you want raw speed I'd bet the quad core would serve you well. If you want 12 rather than 8 total cores then go with the fastest hexacore. I use the Noctua thermal paste. We have had good success with used processors off eBay for these types of workstation upgrades. 3. You'll want 2 processors, and you'll want to match to the heatsink/fan you already have. 4. I believe you don't need a "performance" heatsink for 95 watt processor.... the motherboard wants one for processors that are over 95 watts, from my reading. There is a way to spoof a motherboard into thinking it has a performance heatsink attached when it only is a mainstream, by the way. 5. SSDs.... I have been very pleased with the Intel 320 series 300GB SSD that you can get off eBay. We use a lot of those.... rock solid, and the Intel Toolbox is great for tuning it. That workstation is a SATA Gen II one, and HP warns against using SATA Gen III HDDs in those unless they are sourced from HP (assume special HP firmware applied). We have not seen a comment from HP on whether this rule holds also for SSDs, but I am assuming so. Hence, I choose to use that particular SSD, and also have used HP-sourced Gen III SSDs in our SATA Gen II workstations with zero problems. The Intel 320 series SSD is a SATA Gen II drive with enterprise features, and has served us very well. Even used off eBay they almost always have had 100% life left in them. I update their firmware as needed via the Intel Toolbox. 6. We use W7Pro64 mostly, but I have been pleased with the W10Pro64 OS. You can upgrade to W10Pro64 for free at this time, so I have been "W10 activating" all my xw and Z workstations and having that ready for the future, but still mainly running them with W7Pro64. Once your box is W10 activated you can install W10 anytime later. You certainly want a 64 bit OS. 7. You need a second processor to take advantage of the second set of 3 memory slots..... ideally you'll run with 6 x 1GB, 6 x 2GB, or 6 x 4GB. The sweet spot for $/GB is with the 2GB sticks. Having them all the same size gets you a speed benefit too.... Look at official HP sticks for that on eBay and you also can find the same codes from other vendors such as Dell. I consider the HP sticks the best because they have been "binned" for quality. 8. HP just came out with a new BIOS for the Z600. It is best to update BIOS from within BIOS. I have gathered best HP driver sets for W7Pro64 from later HP workstation sources and they load fine on the Z600, but for W10 I've been using what comes from the autoload from MS. 9. I like to add in a quality eSATA backplane adapter to the bottom opening for fast backup and Acronis image captures. I also like to add one of the TI-based HP USB3 cards into the top PCIe slot, and am working on a nice use of that with the spare front 5.25" OD bay for both front and rear access to USB3. I'll post pics of that and in the xw6600 when I get the final parts.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/z600-upgrades-CPU-HD/td-p/5604870
Relevancy 35.26%

Hello. I want a PC that can run MMO's like WOW and Rift at max settings with really high frame rates and responsiveness during raids and in high player pop. areas. My current computer specs are:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer Gateway
System Model FX6840
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 870 @ 2.93GHz, 2934 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. P01-A3, 5/17/2010
SMBIOS Version 2.6
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 7.99 GB
Available Physical Memory 4.97 GB
Total Virtual Memory 16.0 GB
Available Virtual Memory 12.7 GB
Page File Space 7.99 GB
ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series graphics card

This current system works OK but is far from optimal. My question to you guys is- Do I just need a couple upgrades or do you think I should just get a new system? I don't know a whole lot about computers, so anything you guys can help direct me with would really help. Thanks!!

A:PC upgrades for gaming

Looking at your system specs I would say your cpu is fine and you have 8 gigs of RAM that is also quite fine. In your case I would say you need to upgrade your Graphics card. Can you tell us the make and model of your motherboard as well as make, model, and amount of wattage of your power supply? In addition size, make and model of your hard drive and how much space you have on it that is free.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-upgrades-for-gaming.206152/
Relevancy 34.4%

I have an eMachines ET1331-02 desktop. (Yes, VERY outdated, but can't get a new one, don't ask why.)

I do quite a bit of gaming and need to be able to run many applications at the same time. Can I get recommendations of upgrade paths?

A:Need MAJOR upgrades for my 3+ year old computer

The machine is quite weak since it only has a dual core CPU. This will limit you when it comes to gaming and running many applications. What you can do though if you dont want to get a new machine is upgrade the graphics driver to the latest one supporting your old Geforce 6150SE chipset >>here<<. You can also upgrade your ram to the max it can take. You can use this tool to help determine how much and what RAM to purchase. I also recommend possibly clean installing Windows (wiping it completely and starting from scratch) since that usually gives a nice performance boost. You can check out how to do a clean install here. Keep in mind, if you upgrade from 4GB to something more, you will need a 64bit OS, or else the OS cannot take advantage of the extra RAM. You can download a legitimate copy from here. You can use the Windows 7 key pasted on your machine.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-major-upgrades-for-my-3-year-old-computer.202555/
Relevancy 35.26%

I have older computer.. what should I do? can u recommend pieces. also a monitor. should I get an entire new computer? tyty
: intel pentium 4 630
gigabyte technology co model 8i945p-g
ddr2// channel # dual ( I have 4 slots for ram)2 gb total
radeon x800 series

$250 budget 160ish budget for monitor
Much appreciated​

A:My computer needs upgrades

Yes, any PC dating back to P4 era will likely need all parts replaced. Upgrades will hardly be noticeable and cost more than they are worth. I'd continue to use the P4 as is unless something breaks. I would only purchase parts to keep the machine working, if a new machine is not an option.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-computer-needs-upgrades.198250/
Relevancy 35.26%

We have a small PowerEdge 2900 server at the office with 3x 140GB SAS drives and we need more space. I'm trying to figure out how the data is arranged because we only have ~272GB total for file storage. Our needs are minimal we basically just need to store lots of smaller files mostly just a few MB in size. There is basically a single directory that we read/write to on the server.

I'm basically trying to figure out if getting bigger SAS drives (expensive) vs. simply downsizing to a Xeon-based desktop PC with a set of maybe four 500GB drives, RAID-10, would be better. We do need redundancy at some level but I think performance with regular SATA drives would be just fine for us. There are maybe 5-8 people using opening or saving files to the server at any given time...

Thoughts?

A:SAS Drive Upgrades

RAID is an issue. Expanding Raid-0 or Raid-10 is not just adding one more HD to the enclosure. A RAID-JBOD setup will allow adding more devices without rebuilding the entire RAID.

There are multiple solutions for redundancy and/or backups.

Personally, I like staging the redundant data from the SAS device and not the original sources, which reduces the load on the originals and the redundant copies can be sync'd overnight without impact to the active users:

Code:

( PC users ) === network === SAS
|| |
|| sync
|| |
|| V
+ === Redundant Device

[edit] oh yea: offsite backups can then be staged from
Redundant Device - - - > iCloud storage[/edit]

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sas-drive-upgrades.196410/
Relevancy 35.26%

I'm a noob when it comes to computer hardware and I'd like to know which cpu if any will be the best upgrade for my motherboard. Or if I just need to get a new motherboard instead. Any help is appreciated.

These are my system specs.
MSI X58A GD65
Intel i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
16384MB RAM, Just upgraded 4GBx4
2x GeForce GTX 465 sli
Corsair HX1000W
I have around a 300-400$ budget

A:Need advice on upgrades

That CPU is still pretty modern. If you really want to upgrade, I would recommend going for a Haswell platform which will be released in June. $150 for a Z87 motherboard + $330 for an i7 4770K. You will need a larger budget if you want an i7. A i5 4670K will be enough if you are only gaming. You will also need to upgrade your RAM and GPUs.

In my opinion, the CPU isnt really the bottleneck at the moment. I think you are better off just buying a GTX 660Ti or GTX 670 or wait till the nVidia 700 series is released in June (if they arent impressive, then you can get the 660Ti cheaper than you would now). The real time you will need to upgrade your CPU, is probably in a year or two; for now, it will do you fine.

660Ti: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...i&name=Desktop Graphics Cards&Order=BESTMATCH
670: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0&name=Desktop Graphics Cards&Order=BESTMATCH

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-advice-on-upgrades.191947/
Relevancy 33.54%

Been working on next gen of PowerCode ROM Upgrade for Kyros Tablet from COBYUSA, COBY International and Visual Connect/Prestige from Visual Land along with the Skypad Alpha2 and Skypad Gemini from Skytex. Running Android Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean.

Results are as follows in

PowerCode WiFi 54 G+ on 720MHz, 256mb of RAM System
Test 1:

PowerCode WiFi 300 N+ 1GHz, 1GB of RAM System
Test1:

PowerCode WiFi 300 N+ 1GHz, 1GB of RAM System
Test1:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/powercode-1000-2013-rom-upgrades-for-kyros-visual-and-skypad.191514/
Relevancy 34.4%

Hi everyone This is my first post on this site In no way shape or fashion do I consider myself to be an expert just this past November I built my first desktop gaming PC future upgrades? new build -- on Thoughts I ordered the parts and did it myself it took me hours for everything to Thoughts on new build -- future upgrades? be completely setup and running smoothly I know that hours is a lonnnngggg time but I wanted to make sure everything was perfect before I turned it on I usually play Battlefield and League of Legends on a regular basis Here are my specs Cooler Master HAF Full Tower Black Case Windows -bit ASUS P Z -V LK -- Intel Z Intel Core i - K GHz Corsair Hydro H CORE CPU Liquid Cooler EVGA GeForce GTX Ti SSC GB Kingston GB MHz DDR OCZ Vertex GB SATA III quot SSD Toshiba TB rpm quot SATA Lite ON X DVDRW SATA OEM Cooler Master Silent Pro M Modular W PSU Since The Witcher was announced I have been absolutely excited and it has made me ponder what I will need to upgrade a year or so down the road Since I am very new to this any advice and suggestions you have on my current build and future upgrades would be awesome Thanks Dunn nbsp

A:Thoughts on new build -- future upgrades?

How much did that complete build end up costing you?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/thoughts-on-new-build-future-upgrades.189926/
Relevancy 34.83%

Hey everyone I just joined the forums but have been reading the site for a while now I am planning to do some upgrading to my current PC Here s some details I mostly game maybe a few hours a week New build/upgrades suggestions or just browse the internet I also burn DVDs stream HD movies to my XBox or convert one media format to another so I can stream it I might start gaming a little more so that is the main reason for wanting to upgrade My current PC is this Intel Core Duo E OCd to ghz gb gSkill RAM HIS HD watt PSU Gigabyte GA-EP -UD P mobo - no USB and no PCI Antec case WD Velociraptor gb - windows games programs WD Caviar Black tb - storage and media First off my PC works fine and is usually ok for everything I do I can t crank up the graphics in anything like I used to be able to and burning a HD movie to a DVD takes about an hour My problem is everything is so old I can t upgrade just one New build/upgrades suggestions part and I am on a super tight budget My thoughts were to upgrade to a Ti or ghz Edition Some sites say one is better and other sites say the other the is up to cheaper though My mobo doesn t support PCI so I am unclear if that means a new graphics card wouldn t work at all or just work slower If I have to build a whole new PC I m leaning towards an ASRock Extreme or i k or i k gSkill sniper RAM and the above graphics card New build/upgrades suggestions Any input would be appreciated I have looked at the PC builds and most of my selections are the same things I m wondering if it s worth the extra to step it up one notch in certain areas nbsp

A:New build/upgrades suggestions

As an upgrade, you still have a few options using the core components.
Firstly, a PCI-E3.0 motherboard isn't necessary- you're only going to notice a difference between 2.0 and 3.0 using a heavily bandwidth constrained card -likely a dual GPU (GTX 690, HD 6990, HD 7990). What might be of more interest is SATA 6GB or USB 3.0 depending on what kind of upgraded storage options you're looking at, if any.
For a budget upgrade I'd maybe recommend swapping out the C2D for a C2Quad (QX9450/Q9500/Q9505/Q9550/Q or QX9650), adding the HD 7870 -a solid choice, and maybe an SSD if you use any productivity apps. The quad (esp. a 12MB cache version) will still give you a reasonable performance lift -more so if you can OC to the 3.6-3.8GHz range.

If you're looking at transitioning to Ivy Bridge, then work out a budget all the core components (CPU, board and RAM), graphics card. You can reuse the CPU cooler, storage, chassis, PSU and peripherals, so they become only a secondary consideration.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-build-upgrades-suggestions.184906/
Relevancy 34.83%

Hey all!

So I built my Rig around a month ago, and since then I have saved up $400 AUD.
I've been doing quite a bit of gaming and video editing and come to the conclusion that it could use a bit more 'kick'.
So- what do you guys think?
I'd rather not spend all $400, so I've been looking at the HD7850, or 7870 if I should stretch my budget.

Here are my current specs:
CPU: AMD FX-6100 (3.3GHz-6core)
Cooler: CM TX3 EVO (push-pull config)
GPU: GTX 550ti
MoBo: ASRock 970 Extreme 4
HDD: 500GB seagate
Memory: 8GB (2x4GB-1333MHz) Patriot Gamer2
Monitor: 22" Viewsonic (1920x1080- not too happy about this. If I look closely, text is blurred over 2-3 pixels, and it does not look as clear as my 1366x768 laptop. Yes, I have turned on cleartype text and all that. it does not help)

Any input is appreciated!

A:Got some money... time for upgrades?

If you can wait a few more weeks the GTX 660 Ti is nearing release. That is unless you want to jump fence and go with AMD this time around. I think the release date is set for August 16th. Waiting would allow you to compare price/performance between nVidia and AMD.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/got-some-money-time-for-upgrades.183877/
Relevancy 33.97%

Are there any graphics cards uogrades for a Dimension 3100 desktop pc, also can I improve my CPU?

A:Are there any upgrades for a Dell Dimension 3100 (eg. graphics)

You have a PCIe video card slot, so you can upgrade to a PCIe video card. What version of Windows? XP? The CPU is a Pentium 4 that supports hyperthreading. What is your processors speed now? You should max out the system RAM to 2GB using 2-1GB sticks of DDR2 533MHz RAM. The power supply is 230 Watts, you may want to increase to a 350 Watt or higher

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/are-there-any-upgrades-for-a-dell-dimension-3100-eg-graphics.178009/
Relevancy 35.69%

can I upgrade my intel core 2 quad q820 to a i5 or i7 what do I need to know

A:CPU upgrades

Core 2 uses LGA775 socket design.

Core i3, i5, and i7 uses a different socket.

LGA1156 - older mainstream Core i3, i5, and i7 CPU's
LGA1155 - newer mainstream Core i3, i5, and i7 CPU's
LGA1366 - older enthusiast Core i7 CPU's
LGA2011 - newer enthusiast Core i7 CPU's

An upgrade from Core 2 to Core i3, i5, or i7 would require a new motherboard and possibly memory.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cpu-upgrades.176803/
Relevancy 35.26%

Hi, so i heard my friend say that dell laptop graphics are know replaceable from computer years from 2008 and up. I was wondering if this was true?

A:Laptop upgrades

What did you find out?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-upgrades.173980/
Relevancy 35.26%

My specs:
Asus M4A790XTD
3.3 ghz chip - athlon x2 265
HD Radeon 4850
6GB ram

What do I need to upgrade so that I should buy Skyrim on my PC becuase the graphics/gameplay is much better, rather than my Xbox?

thanks in advance

A:PC upgrades for Skyrim

The best bet is to wait until after the game is released but I did find this:

Minimum System Requirements

* CPU: Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz or Althon X2 2.0 GHz
* RAM: 3 GB
* HDD: 15 GB
* Graphics: 512 MB card
* Sound Card: DirectX 9 Compatible
* DirectX: Version 9.0c

Recommended System Requirements

* CPU: Core 2 Quad 3 GHz
* RAM: 3 GB
* HDD: 15 GB free disk space
* Graphics: 512 MB Graphics Memory
* Sound Card: DirectX 9 Compatible
* DirectX: Version 9.0c

Supported Graphics Cards:

Minimum ? 8800 GT
Recommanded ? Geforce GTX 460/Radeon 5850

* It appears your system should run it fine. If you want to upgrade you could go a Phenom II quad core and a GTX 460 or ATI 6850. Right now the AMD quad cores are selling cheap.

With the latest BIOS you could even run a 6 core but a quad should do you fine. See this link: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1515656

*** Just make sure you do your homework on your motherboard to double check any changes you want to make. My personal opinion is to save up your money and build a new system within a year because your hardware is above the minimum requirements as it is with your cpu the only possible need to go to a quad core.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-upgrades-for-skyrim.170660/
Relevancy 35.26%

I think it is time to upgrade some parts of Upgrades an old computer to my computer Here is the basic information of what i currently run cpu Intel Core Quad Processor Q M Cache GHz MHz FSB RAM x Kingston HyperX DDR gb Ram PSU W Antec TruePower Quattro TPQ- Modular Cables Management CARD gb DDR mhz engts MOBO ASUS Striker II Formula LGA motherboard If need Upgrades to an old computer any other info then just let me know am running XP windows on this old computer and am looking to goto windows With this upgrade i just want to know a few things should i upgrade to a i cpu whixh means ill need to upgrabe my mobo etc I am looking to upgrade my ram but not sure about what card i should get I dont want to spend much over dollars which i want to include a cpu intel pref mobo pref gigabyte ram windows HDD dvd writer blu ray full tower computer case maybe a new video card i hope this psu will be fine so i will leave that Also my mate has mention something about a solid state hard drive i maybe looking to run my operating system on this and then go for a tb HDD for the rest Ty for your replies in advance Oh also i live in Australia so prices may vary abit from overseas but i will worry about that nbsp

A:Upgrades to an old computer

Once upon a time, long ago, when I entertained a notion to upgrade from Windows XP Professional to Windows Vista, I swore Microsoft offered some sort of upgrade compatibility program, direct from their web site. This program was designed to check and see if my computer could handle the upgrade to Vista, and if it couldn't, it would advise me of what needed to done to make my machine Vista worthy. More than likely Microsoft still offers their users a compatibility program to see if one can upgrade a Windows XP machine to Windows 7, you might want to check that out.

But good stuff anyhow, I enjoyed seeing your interest to better your system, then in turn it might help better yourself, win-win proposition if you ask me!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/upgrades-to-an-old-computer.169708/
Relevancy 34.83%

My current build is..

Amd Athlon x2 250 3.0ghz

4gb ram

480w Generic psu 36a combined on 2 12v rails

I will be going to

Phenom x6 1090t

12gb ram

Corsair 750w psu with 60a on a single 12v rail.

(my vid card is a Gtx 460, and my OS is Windows 7 64 bit)

A:How much of a performance increase will I see with these upgrades?

i mainly want to know about the cpu upgrade.Sorry about the other stuff thats not related to the forum.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-much-of-a-performance-increase-will-i-see-with-these-upgrades.168309/
Relevancy 34.4%

Just thought you should know Dell says that you can t put more then GB of RAM in your Dell Dimension 4500 upgrades Dimension Dell and no Processer higher then a GHz Northwood--soo not true You Dell Dimension 4500 upgrades can put x GB of PC DDR Low-Density Non-ECC Unbuffered RAM and the BIOS sees it right away not only that you can put a Pentium Ghz k Northwood in it too and the BIOS sees it The only problem I had is that the Dell BIOS update A Dell Dimension 4500 upgrades dose not see the Hyper-Threding tech of the chip Someone told me that if you have an earlier BIOS it might work or reinstall the op sys it might also work--I m not going to do that but if you want to let me know what happens--I m sure that if the BIOS can t see it then the op sys can t and do you really want to mess with your BIOS Very happy with my upgrade I spent a lot of hours looking into what could be done for this ol Dell and I ve done a great job not only did I update the mem and the Pentium I also added a FSP - GLC W Power Supply and a quot HIS quot IceQ H QS GHA Radeon HD GB -bit DDR AGP X X HDCP Ready Video Card Whatching HiDef is awsome No lag as long as you aren t multi-tasking--I don t think it can handle new games too much to ask but if you want to make your ol Dimension kick it up a few notches--go for it nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-dimension-4500-upgrades.168000/
Relevancy 35.69%

I just got an Acer Aspire 5552.
It's a fairly basic thing. I have an Athlon II P-340 dual core chip, an ATI Mobility Radeon HD4200 and 4 GB of DDR3 RAM in it.
I know I can upgrade the hard drive, but I can't seem to find info on the Acer website if I can upgrade the CPU, RAM or graphics. Any ideas?
I am in no rush to do this, but since this will be my only machine I'd like to know that.

Thanks.

A:Upgrades possible?

This is a laptop yeah?

I don't know if the CPU is soldered in place, or in a socket, but its unlikely you can replace it with anything significant in the future.

Your RAM is possibly at its maximum as well, but you'd need to check the technical specifications in the user manual or on Acers website to see if it can handle more RAM.

The GPU will most likely be part of the motherboard of the laptop, and therefore cannot be replaced.

In all honesty, about the only thing you can definitely replace is the hard disk.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/upgrades-possible.158447/
Relevancy 35.26%

Hello, new to the forums so I hope I'm posting in the correct area. Anyway I've had a custom built gaming PC for about two years now and am wondering if I should upgrade some stuff and to what.

Here are my specs:

Windows XP
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU @ 3.00Ghz
Gigabyte EP45-UD3P motherboard
4 GB Ram DDR2
Nvidia Geforce 9800 GT video card
400W power supply

Hope I'm not forgetting anything, any guidance would be greatly appreciated. I'd also like to mention that I like to run my games on max settings.

Relevancy 34.4%

Okay my fellow techies I recently got a job and FINALLY got around to building my rig I was on a bi-weekly budget and needed the computer ASAP so I bought future upgrades bottleneck(s) your on and input Want my the parts over a month and a halfs time This is what I ended up with Mobo Foxconn M PMP-K Want your input on my bottleneck(s) and future upgrades AM NVIDIA MCP P Micro ATX AMD Motherboard CPU AMD Phenom II X Black Edition Heka GHz Socket AM Want your input on my bottleneck(s) and future upgrades W Triple-Core Processor HDZ WFK DG CPU Fan ZALMAN CNPS C-AlCu Ball CPU Cooler GPU SAPPHIRE L Radeon HD GB -bit GDDR PCI Express x HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card PSU APEVIA ATX-JV W W ATX V EPS V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply RAM Crucial GB -Pin DDR SDRAM DDR PC Desktop Memory HDD Western Digital Caviar Blue WD EALS TB RPM SATA Gb s quot Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive I salvaged an old Nemesis case from a buddy so I could get it built faster Now I know I need another stick of ram for a total of Gigs which is plenty for me for a while What I m uncertain about is where I should plan on upgrading in the future I m pretty disappointed with the s DX performance in Metro and I m hoping it s my lack of ram but in Darkfall www darkfallonline com i m getting about fps with shadows enabled on max settings What else should I consider upgrading I can t unlock the th core on my x a factor I didn t take into consideration because my bios doesn t support it At least not the current version anyway A note on the motherboard For the price it s a pretty decent piece of hardware It does have the ability to overclock but not to change voltages Overclocking comes in the form of a program on the utilities CD that allows you to overclock dRam voltage and PCI-E clock speed So What do you guys think nbsp

A:Want your input on my bottleneck(s) and future upgrades

APEVIA ATX-JV650W 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power SupplyClick to expand...

I'd go with a corsair 450w.

AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition Heka 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Processor HDZ720WFK3DGClick to expand...

Also, I'd use an Athlon II X3 instead, save about $20 - $30.

Now, I know I need another stick of ram for a total of 4Gigs, which is plenty for me for a while...Click to expand...

Wait what; you've listed a 2gb kit but you'r planning on 4gb?

I'm in a rush, I might not be thinking this through 100%.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/want-your-input-on-my-bottleneck-s-and-future-upgrades.150168/
Relevancy 34.4%

Hi I m looking to purchase a couple upgrades for my ancient Dell Dimension Right off the bat let me state that I am fully aware how old this system is and that it is very limited e g it only has PCI slots no AGP or PCI-E I am 2400 Dell Dimension upgrades also aware that for the money I propose to spend I could get a new much faster computer Having said that I am not interested in doing so I Have GB of RAM with as much hard drive space as I need I have a GHZ Celeron processor and a MB integrated graphics chip and a standard power supply which I believe is or W I am running Windows XP SP My first proposed upgrade is from my GHZ Celeron to a GHZ Pentium http www compuvest com Desc jsp jsessionid c Dell Dimension 2400 upgrades b f ce f f ef e b e iid My second proposed upgrade is a Sparkle GeForce GT MB PCI graphics card http www tigerdirect com applications SearchTools item-details asp EdpNo amp CatId My questions are will these parts be compatible with my computer and will I need a bigger power supply for them The graphics card says it needs a W PCI-E compliant power system and a PCI-E power connector I have also been looking at the following replacement Dell Dimension 2400 upgrades power supply http www cputopia com hp- w-dell-dimension- html Do I need this and will it work with the card or at all It also seems surprisingly cheap should I be worried about that Also would overclocking any parts of this computer totally destroy it I figure it would probably be a bad idea on something this old but am I wrong Answers to any of my questions or other advice is greatly appreciated Thank you nbsp

A:Dell Dimension 2400 upgrades

All the above parts will be compatible with your computer. However, you may need to flash your BIOS for the P4 CPU to be supported. You will also require the 480W PSU in order to be able to run the 9500GT.

As for overclocking, it's not going to net you any sufficient gains on that system.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-dimension-2400-upgrades.153919/
Relevancy 35.69%

Hi guys i am just wondering what can i do to squeeze out more FPS when playing games I run WoW with about - fps with everything on HIGH apart from Shadow Quality as it looks lame In raids i have about fps and about with everything on low So my question is what upgrades shall i get in-terms of getting more FPS and running latest games I don t want to buy a new computer and i don t want to waste too much money i have around - quid I run Windows XP bit my pc can run bit and i heared that you cant get more RAM then gb as i have gb but it only shows around gb of RAM Shall i get new graphics card processor more ram Here are Possible upgrades my PC specs If you need more information please ask Operating System Windows Service Pack CPU Type AMD Athlon tm Possible upgrades X Dual Core Processor GHz CPU Speed GHz System Memory GB GB GB Video Card Model NVIDIA GeForce GT Video Card Driver nv disp dll Desktop Resolution x Hard Disk Size GB Hard Disk Free Space GB Hard Disk Size GB Hard Disk Free Space GB Power Supply W ISP Virgin Media Blueyonder mb Broadband Cable mb average download speeds PS Are there tweaks that i could do to my PC like changing stuff in BIOS or downloading updating software I have general knowledge with computers too so i am not a MEGA newbie but in middle I am going to get CoD so i will see if i can run that just fine on high graphics probs not I had All Points Bulletin and had most stuff on low and it was about fps most times sometimes less if there was alot of effects going around explosions etc Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Possible upgrades

One more question, shall i change to 64bit or stay 32bit? Those 64bit require better system so if i go 64bit will it be slower?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/possible-upgrades.149731/
Relevancy 35.26%

Its been awhile since I upgraded anything in my system. Here they are!

Swapped the Athlon 7750 BE for a Phenom II 940 BE
Swapped Antec Basiq 500 watt PSU for Antec Earthwatts 650
Swapped Stock CPU Heat Sink Fan for Corsair H50 Water Cooler
Swapped Server 2008 64bit for Vista Ultimate 64bit, soon to be 7.

All inside an Antec 900

I have the 940 clocked @ 3.3 but I start having issues at 3.6

Temps OC are 29c Idle 33c Load CPU
System Temp 30c Idle 35c Load
HD 4850 60c Idle 75c Load

Thinking about picking up another 4850 for crossfire, they seem to scale well.

Any input will be great!

A:Finished a Few Upgrades

The system looks good. For OCing the 940 BE you could look at Dolk's Guide on the internet.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/finished-a-few-upgrades.143999/
Relevancy 34.83%

I have an old Dell Dimension 2400 sitting around and I'm wondering if its possible to replace the motherboard, get some more RAM, a new processor, and maybe some other modifications. I know it has limited space under the hood, and I'm not looking to make another gaming rig, just something thats more usable. Can anyone help me out and maybe recommend some parts? Thanks for any help.

A:Dimension 2400 Upgrades

IMHO:
Forget it, sorry to say a lot of people bought this computer with only 2 memory slots.
Dell cases are not the best and there is nothing in you Dim2400 worth salvaging. Give it to the Salvation Army so someone can use it for e-mail.
On a lighter side I bought a Workstation 530 and the case is worse and the RAM is more expensive than the computer was.
Start from scratch and build something good, that is what I plan this Spring.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dimension-2400-upgrades.143432/
Relevancy 34.4%

It s time to have a small upgrade on my year system it served me very well and I rarely had any issues I m just looking system A old some requires upgrades year 6+ forward to get most out of it currently it has these components Motherboard Albatron KX Processor AMD Athlon XP MHz Videocard GeForce FX MB RAM x MB Power Supply Antec SL W The MoBo A 6+ year old system requires some upgrades has its integrated network adapter and sound card and I have no problem with either Unfortunately it does not support PCI-e cards I mainly use it to play games like WoW or Counter-strike with all the effects on lowest Its main function over the time devolved into just playing games as I work and watch DVDs mainly on my laptop I ve recently observed more problems in crowded instances when playing WoW and also I m looking forward to play a little more graphically advanced games not the most high-end ones though I think a system with a MHz CPU and GB with a decent - year old GPU should do fine However I m very low on budget - and I don t need additional component upgrades replacements such as a new soundcard and a network adapter therefore I m thinking perhaps I should keep my MoBo and CPU intact and just go for GPU and RAM upgrades Should I upgrade my GPU and RAM with a Radeon HD GB MB AGP around and a x GB DDR SDRAM around how much of a bottleneck will my CPU cause especially when playing a CPU dependent game like WoW How much would such an upgrade improve the current performance if any I just hope to play WoW at max Will my power supply be able to handle an Radeon HD which also requires W I also have a DVD-ROM and a CD-ROM connected to my system - I can ditch out either or both when not using if it will help any Will the GPU just not run at all or will it work on a lower rate and not use its full capacity Given my budget limitations what alternative upgrades would you recommend Is there a better balanced MoBo CPU GPU RAM PSU combination you can think of that may cost around - if a better upgrade is absolutely necessary I ve considered to purchase and overclock an Athlon XP to get around MHz processing capability but it seems like it may cost me another and I m not sure if it s worth it Finally my MoBo supports x GB yet in its manual it recommends only DDR GB RAMS at once and not all three at the same time Why is there such a limitation and what kind of performance issues would I have if I installed x GB Would I get GB a little less than GB or just GB What kind of a setup should use if I want more than GB from this MoBo Thanks for reading and I appreciate any help nbsp

A:A 6+ year old system requires some upgrades

Can I just say, I wouldn't be updating this old machine
I read all through your post and the dollar amounts, I was about to say get Ram, but thought ..no, you are better with a more modern machine with PCI-Express and Core 2 Duo at least.

Save up and sell your computer (completely) and get a new (or newer) computer

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/a-6-year-old-system-requires-some-upgrades.138268/
Relevancy 34.4%

Fastest processor for me I've ever had, but then hard drive frizzed & not too happy with used replacement. Is 7200 rpm the best one can get for this machine? Would like larger hd than 40g I've got with 20 2nd. Suggested to do repartioning c: apps, d: os, e: storage with 2nd drive f: paging file g: storage?
I have 1.250gig memory and the motherboard video.
And and all suggestions welcome, especially to internet speed 350 mghz here in rural Wyoming - Is broadband faster, if they ever get it here?)
And if ANYBODY knows why Mozilla 3.5 keeps crashing... Never did that before.... Some of my anti-virus stuff, maybe?
On the cheap... Lucky to find this one at the dump...
You CAN clean out a computer with a long hot shower and a suntan.

A:Suggested upgrades for new used Dell 2400?

There are some 10,000 rpm drives, but not cheap.
Can always replace 40GB with larger capacity drive.
80,120,160,250 or more. Depends on finances and availability at your location.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/suggested-upgrades-for-new-used-dell-2400.135863/
Relevancy 33.97%

As a regular member of the Techspot Community upgrades/questions card video Guide to I have seen many questions on video card upgrading and questions about video cards in general not to mention my first thread was about a video card What many people don t realize is that when you start up a thread about a video card suggestion you need to give us a lot of information I have devised several lists of information suggested for the most complete accurate responses Know your gaming limits - Here at Guide to video card upgrades/questions Techspot we like to throw out expensive video cards at people who are looking into upgrading so they can play almost anything What you need to tell us is what kinds of games you play whether you are a gaming Guide to video card upgrades/questions quot junkie quot or a simple Sims person We DON T know you per say Tell us your budget - This of all is the most important piece of information provided to us it tells us where in the ballpark you are This way we don t recommend you a card that costs of your currency when you can only spend Tell us your Power Supply - In order to run a video card you need to have the proper power in your computer You are not going to make it to the next-gen of gaming with a crappy generic power supply What I suggest you purchase and own for a power supply would be of a known company Thermaltake and Antec to name a few The most important thing that we need to know about the power supply is the rating of watts and the amperage on the quot V Rail quot Note that some power supplies have more than one rail and the total amperage on each is added together for the final total ex A A A For - of computers ATX the power supply is on the top of the computer and for the rest it is on the bottom both are located in the back of the computer and look like a box We NEED Your Computer Specs - Although you may need a video card you might not be able to play some of the best games or run the most demanding applications with crappy hardware We also NEED to know what you motherboard is or even better what slot your motherboard accepts for video cards PCI PCI-Express X X X AGP X X X To find out your specs you can download a program like quot CPU-Z quot to find out click here There are a few tabs in CPU-Z each for a different part of the computer We need the information from the memory cpu and mainboard section Try and set up your thread giving us the information as a list Motherboard - Graphic interface - Memory - CPU - CPU Speed - Power Supply Make Model - Watt output Amperage Tell us what Country you re from - Nothing personal about this one It would help us if we have this information so we can select the right online hardware store to show you what video card is suitable and what can be purchased by you You don t need any knowledge in computers to find the above for us all you need is maybe a screwdriver to open your case to find out the power supply and a mouse and keyboard to download the software It does not take a genius to find out what you need and what you play either If you give us all of the above information this will also make the workload easier on us so we can help you more and be more accurate and precise in the meantime not to mention faster Also please open a NEW topic concerning any questions or problems This thread is not necessarily monitored for help requests nbsp

A:Guide to video card upgrades/questions

Very good, possible sticky? You might want to note that the brand of the PSU is important, because a generic PSU rated with a 20A +12v may only deliver 15A of usable power. On the other hand, an Antec would usually deliver what they say it will.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/guide-to-video-card-upgrades-questions.66390/
Relevancy 33.97%

Hi guys I have a problem on my computer Dell Dimension after I upgraded the new PCI graphics card yesterday I followed the steps by step guides Dell Problems Dimension 3000 Upgrades that came with the product and it s working fine and good However when I play games online for a long time the graphics are starting to get all messed up I bought the nViDiA GeForce GS Graphics Card with MB DDR Before buying this graphics card I have been browsing the Internet about what to buy and such but when I went to Best Buy they Dell Dimension 3000 Upgrades Problems told me this is the only graphics card that can work with my Dell Dimension so I bought it anyway So my question to you guys quot Is this a good graphics card for my computer or shall i buy a better one online quot Please tell me what you think and by the way one thing confused me is that in my computer there is slots of PCI card slot but when I put the new Graphics card they asked me to replace the old one with a new one So I don t know if I should have left it there and install the new one on the other slot since there s slots anyway Is it also the reason why my graphics card is acting all crazy And for my last question is quot Should I get a new Power Supply for my Computer quot because I heard with the new graphics card a new power supply is needed with at least around - Watts But others also say that power supply can t be upgraded easily because it is attached to the motherboard nbsp

A:Dell Dimension 3000 Upgrades Problems

Hi 6one9,

After taking a brief glimpse of the computer specs and the card specs, it looks like the card is actually a PCI-e interface as opposed to the Dell Dimension 3000 which only has PCI expansion slots.

That aside, the card you bought is a decent card that should play all games at a moderate graphic level. The power supply that you have seems to do the job. If you needed one, you would notice right away when the computer would not start up.

What is the service tag on the computer?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-dimension-3000-upgrades-problems.132708/
Relevancy 35.69%

Hey guys,
sorry I have not been on for ages!
Anyway earlier today I saw an old Desktop PC built by Tiny for £12 in the Friday Ad. I thought it was a no brainer to buy it and see what upgrades I can do on it.

These are the specs that they posted:

TINY DESKTOP PC with Windows XP, 600MHz Celeron processor, 10 GB HDD, 256 MB RAM, Ethernet connection, could deliver £12 , Brighton

I know, its not particularily great but I thought it would make a good summer project.

What I want to know is what upgrades should I consider? Please note it is about 6-7 years old so brand new hardware is not an option. Think more in the terms of SD RAM. Also I dont have all the money in the world :L

Thanks,

djspan101

A:Old PC Upgrades

Depends on the motherboard mate. I'd personally get the Tiny Tower PC 2.1 for £40 instead. It'd be far easier to upgrade that machine IMO.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/old-pc-upgrades.131541/
Relevancy 34.83%

Hey guys,

I need some advice from you all. I want to get an old second hand PC (when I say old I mean 3-4 years). I was thinking of somthing like the Dell Dimension?

I want to spend about £30 and then the rest on upgrades.

I am up for eBay, but I would prefer some stuff from Friday Ad Brighton.

What I want is to know what is an ideal PC for upgrading, i.e standard ATX mobos and PSU. Also 5.25' CD and 3.5' Floppy

Thanks in advance,

djspan101

A:Good second hand PC for upgrades

Dell Dimension 2400, 3000, 5000, 4300, 4400, 4500,4600 or 4700, 8400 (avoid 2250, 2300, 4600c 8100, 8200, 8300, 8250, 4550)

Dimension E310, E510, E521, and L556

Optiplex wide bodies: GX150, GX270, GX755, GX520, GX280, GX270, GX745

AVOID Optiplex GX620 and GX260
Avoid any thin case Optiplex, or any Dimension or Optiplex which lies on its side or is less than 5 inches wide... Their cooling is poor, and they are limited on what can be installed.

Avoid any Dimension model that ends in C or S.

We really like the Dimension 4700 and 8400 as superior values in used Dimensions.

Dell Optiplex GX5, GX6, or GX7 series, in general, are pretty good, but some models have a motherboard defect that makes them fail permanently... the GX260 is one of those. On others, ask around.

Gateways are generally very good... 300S, 500S on up until you get to the models made in the past two years.

IBM & Lenovo machines are great, particularly the IBM Intellistations and related models, NetVista's, Lenovo M57, Think Centre, and most others.

This is NOT a comprehensive list, but rather ones with which we have considerable experience because of our client base. The good thing about Dell and Gateway is that they will sell you copies of the Windows restore disks at a reasonable price.

Avoid most Compaqs and HP's that are more than two or three years old... and HP will NOT sell you restore disks on older machines. Avoid Sony desktops.

We have also, mysteriously, had great luck with the SystemMax computers originally sold by TigerDirect.

On any you buy, plan on installing a new optical drive, and perhaps a hard drive... both are inexpensive nowadays.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/good-second-hand-pc-for-upgrades.131648/
Relevancy 34.83%

can the motherboard, harddrive and processor be upgraded and how big can I go for the dell 2400

A:Upgrades for the Dell 2400

2.4 Ghz celeron

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/upgrades-for-the-dell-2400.131370/
Relevancy 34.83%

Hi, I have an Emachines T2642 computer, with which I modified by adding a PCI Geforce FX 5200, another 512mb pc2700 ram stick and a Pentium [email protected]

When I originally bought this computer it came with an Imperial-gv motherboard, (which has no AGP slots) a 40gb harddrive, a [email protected], 250watt powersupply, and pc2100 256mb stick.

Anyway, I would like to replace my existing motherboard with one that has an AGP slot, and without having to replace my processor.

All responses appreciated.

A:T2642 motherboard upgrades

Hello and welcome to Techspot!

Anyways, did you not want to replace the celeron? Then why did you buy the Pentium? I'm a bit confused. I'm sure the other members here will gladly help you.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/t2642-motherboard-upgrades.55373/
Relevancy 35.26%

just wanted to share with you guys my latest rig + mods on it.

ill start by saying my old specs are still listed above.
and some of you may remember my horrid side panel i moded last year when i put together that rig.

here are my new upgrades:

Phenom II 940 Black Edition cpu
Asus M3N72-D 750a motherboard
Antec 300
same ram in specs
same psu in spec's

now for some pics of the case mods:
mod #1 New paint job for interior (original color was dull grey)

mod#2 Side window

this time i got the window right, unlike last time
here is a pic of my old rig

thanks for your time

A:New PC with mods and upgrades

I'm in the middle of a modding project right now with a Lian Li Cube case and my most current system.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-pc-with-mods-and-upgrades.120050/
Relevancy 35.26%

I ve had a Presario s wm for a while now and have upgraded it multiple times I m wanting to upgrade the gpu again but the psu is severly lacking anymore Here are current specs PSU-stock w cpu-AMD Athlon XP ghz chipset-VIA ProSavageDDR KM ram- GB edge hd- gb gb both western digital ide Doing mulitple upgrades... current gpu-nvidia gforce fx I was thinking I need to upgrade the power supply and the video card both If i just go ahead and replace both of those I a budget abouts and I m not sure about how psu s are chosen I ve heard you need to check size rail Doing mulitple upgrades... speed wattage number Doing mulitple upgrades... of cables etc etc and I just got confused My other concern with doing upgrades lately is the whole computer overall IDE drives seem to be a thing of the past and I dont have SATA connectors The PSU is getting on the slower end max supported ram is GB you see where I m going Should I look at waiting or putting my money elsewhere Any help is greatly appreciated nbsp

A:Doing mulitple upgrades...

Save up for awhile and put your cash into a new system. It's simply not worth upgrading your current one anymore, with $500 being able to get you a very decent system that is far more powerful than your current one.

If you want help on components for a new system, give us a budget, your location (fill out your profile with your system specs and location while you're at it) and whether or not you'll be willing to buy online, and we'll be glad to help.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/doing-mulitple-upgrades.118106/
Relevancy 34.4%

hello to the generous-in-giving-support members of techspot Firstly i m sorry if this Extremely too and pc, slow to buy upgrades cash little is the wrong topic for this thread i think that this is most related to my problem As you saw from my system spec I only got a couple MB of RAMs little amount of Ghz but i got tons of programs i need to run spybot avira firewall photoshop etc but the real problem is my currency is not Extremely slow pc, and too little cash to buy upgrades yet at a level where i could buy hardware upgrades So this is my question what can i do--for free or using very small amount of cash--to speed up my computer - are there any software i can use to speed up my pc - can i delete some windows programs or some Extremely slow pc, and too little cash to buy upgrades system processes without damaging the pc - are there some programs that came with windows that are not really necessary and can be deleted maybe like this svchost exe i saw this thing consume tons of resources -etc Your ideas and support are greatly appreciated nbsp

A:Extremely slow pc, and too little cash to buy upgrades

DO NOT delete svhost this is part of windows! Have you had a look in your BIOS for some speed tweaks? I.E. settings to do with DRAM or CPU.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/extremely-slow-pc-and-too-little-cash-to-buy-upgrades.115263/
Relevancy 34.83%

First of all I wasn t sure where this belonged a7n8x upgrades Asus in the mobo or gaming section Asus a7n8x upgrades but this seemed right I m sure Asus a7n8x upgrades someone s gonna hate me for how obvious these questions would be to someone who knows all this but I m trying to save myself reseaching time as I have only a few clues as to what I m doing I want to upgrade my mobo for wow Yes I haven t played wow I know Been busy for years just not enough time to commit I need a new cpu ram video card and possibly whatever card I need to make this ancient beast handle broadband and I assume a router for the broadband but I m not really sure I m running XP I can handle installation but compatibility is what s really confusing me I see a lot of different versions of the mobo such quot asus a n x-VM quot -x -e and somewhere I saw mention of quot deluxe quot On my board below what I think is my currently installed boardband card if that s the term is quot ASUS A N X quot No quot - quot So I m just not sure what components it can handle and I don t have the time or money to cut corners I m basing my searches on these quot Recommended quot specs for the lich king expansion Processor Dual-core processor such as the Intel Pentium D or AMD Athlon X Memory GB RAM GB for Vista users Video D graphics processor with Vertex and Pixel Shader capability with MB VRAM Such as an ATI Radeon X or NVIDIA GeForce GT class card or better I found this for ram and was going to get g but the quot VM quot made me uncertain as to it s compatibility crucial com store listparts aspx model A N X-VM F For the cpu this was suggested to me by a random person but again no clue if it will work newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E As to the videocard and quot broadband card quot and router I m clueless I d appreciate any help nbsp

A:Asus a7n8x upgrades

The A7N8X is a legacy socket 462 motherboard; you can't install a socket AM2 processor. If you really wanted to meet recommended specs for that game, you would need to swap both the motherboard and RAM in addition the the CPU. The best processor for that board would be either an AthlonXP 3200+ or an overclocked mobile AthlonXP 2600. Both chips are a little hard to come by nowadays. The RAM you found would work just fine; Crucial makes good stuff.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/asus-a7n8x-upgrades.115346/
Relevancy 35.69%

Firstly i want to to dual boot i have a 250gb hd but its partitioned in half.

I Also want to upgrade the Psu and Gfx card.
Acer M1100(acer support blows)

Current specs
Vista Home Premium Sp1
DualCore AMD Athlon X2, 1900 MHz (9.5 x 200) BE-2300
AMD 690V, AMD Hammer
NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GS (256 MB)
Realtek ALC888/S/T @ ATI SB600 - High Definition Audio Controller
250 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-II)
114376 MB (59621 MB free)(C: Drive)
5gb ram 1-2gb/3-1gb ram sticks 3.5gb used-5gb recognized.
I wanted to use this psu
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153023

and this gfx card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130332

can i do it help plz.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/upgrades-help.109303/
Relevancy 34.4%

I use the Amilo World to and 2 bum trips PC upgrades One 3 Newbie, A G AMD What an awful day Decided to upgrade to GB RAM and went to PC world where I was sold x mb DDR s which didn t even fit Then back again to be told they had made a mistake and sold me a IGB DDR and me that I could put the GB RAM in one of the two slots and leave the other slot One Newbie, 2 bum upgrades and 3 trips to PC World empty I am sure I read that the Amilo A G AMD has a maximum capicity of mb per slot is this right Anyway it cost me and this time it fit I turned on my lap top and was amazed at the performance increase - until - about an hour in my screen went white with blue vertical stripes what the heck is that This continued to happen throughout the day - sometimes white with blue strips but the last three times just blank - and I had to force a shut down Can anyone please shed any light on this for me Are the upgrade and the white hanging One Newbie, 2 bum upgrades and 3 trips to PC World screen connected or have I damaged the screen while changing the RAM One Newbie, 2 bum upgrades and 3 trips to PC World I am no computer expert and this was my first attempt at anything hardware related - what a farse Anyway I am back to my old laptop again mb of ram - a bit slow - but alas minutes in and no blank hanging screen Please I just spent the past hours on this and I am deperate to know where it all went wrong - any feedback greatly appreciated fruitmouse The GB RAM I used was Kingston DDR pin SO-DIMM broches compatible MHz PC MHz pc MHz PC RMN - G V nbsp

A:One Newbie, 2 bum upgrades and 3 trips to PC World

You said it yourself. The maximum capacity is 1GB in two slots. That's 512MB in each slot. You got the wrong RAM again.

BTW, I checked to confirm this at the Fujitsu-Siemens website.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/one-newbie-2-bum-upgrades-and-3-trips-to-pc-world.106229/
Relevancy 33.54%

Before You guys tell me its such an old computer and why bother,:evil: I have my reasons. OK now I have the 2400 that I need to upgrade a bit and I need to know what is the BEST motherboard and possessor for This computer? I know that the stock heat sink/fan is not so great so I also plan on upgrading that as well and I also have my eye on a 1 gig video card
(I am one of those hard to shop for Multi taskers so more then enough is almost enough)
So Please TechSpot Help me Pimp My DELL! lol

Thanks in advance

ps*I found one old thread that talked about this subject in Google BUT it is so old I cant find it again to post in it or click the expired links.*

A:Dell 2400 with P4 Motherboard, Processor, Video card upgrades?

Silly move. But if you are trying to fool your mother, find a board and a CPU that will fit in that little case, along with a 400+ watt power supply, heat sink, and such.
The biggest problem is the plastic tie-downs to hold the heat sink in place. They break.
It is easier and cheaper to get a board, cpu, power supply and memory as a package that try to fit something decent into that case.
The power supply is lousy. There is no room, and inadequte cooling.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-2400-with-p4-motherboard-processor-video-card-upgrades.104074/
Relevancy 34.83%

So my motherboard fried not too long ago and now i m debating on just getting a cheap replacement or spending a little extra cash to update my computer to handle some new games like Age of Conan that is coming out in a few weeks Here are my current specs BFG GT OC Nivida AGP graphics what I upgrades Mobo fried, get? should card x gig sticks of DDR Cosair RAM Rosewill RP ATX V v EPS V W Power Supply V Just bought so hopefully I can keep this Intel p Ghz HT gig SATA Hard Drive Right now all Mobo fried, what upgrades should I get? I play is WoW and it runs it perfect Mobo fried, what upgrades should I get? but thats not saying much lol How outdated is my graphics card now I know PCI-E gt AGP so right now my biggest concern is if I should get a cheapo AGP mobo that can hold up to gigs of ram and keep my current set up or if I should switch to a PCI-E sli board and upgrade everything My mobo is old with the new DDR Mobo s would my DDR ram sticks work or should I just toss them and pick up a new pack Also for strictly gaming would I notice a big different if I switched to duo-core processors or is the p Ghz HT still pretty decent How important is it to upgrade my fans tower I got some crappy tower it came with My mom bought this comp off a infomercial for my highschool graduation a couple of years ago lol and i ve been upgrading it since And lastly is my hard drive hindering me at all it has plenty of space but does it have potential to slow down my gaming at all Not sure what it s function is other than storage Well thanks for taking the time to read this i m not the most experienced person considering i ve never built my own computer before but i m trying to learn I ve tinkered around enough inside to be comfortable with building a new one but now i m just not sure what to do and how much all this is going to cost me nbsp

A:Mobo fried, what upgrades should I get?

Fried motherboard

Well, I'm probably not qualified to answer, but it may be the only one you get. I've done a little WoW and know about old systems.

Trying to answer your question is a little like trying to answer what kind of car should you get with what accessories or should you keep the old one. It all depends.

Sounds to me like you need to go ahead and start saving up your nickels. You can probably get a nice machine for as little as $200 these days. But you can spend MUCH more! Shop around town, internet shops, and on eBay.

If you fried the mother, I don't know how to tell if your processor is ok.
You don't like your case.
Your graphic are c. 2005.
There is nothing wrong with your HD. Spin rate and other specs might be a small factor, but size (per se) really doesn't have much to do with speed. That's the processor's job.
I don't know if dual core is that much of an improvement, you'd have to read some articles. Hyper-thread is supposed to be good for games. (threading is something programmers do)
Fans are important. I'd say that they're worth upgrading. And adding more if there's room.
Cases are important in that you have to have the right form/fit (they have a tech word for this) for the motherboard AND the right air-flow for the processor.
Power supply is DEFINATELY important. Here I suggest overkill. You never know what you're going to add on.

Do a little research. Make it fun. You will be spending some money. Get system specs from pre-built machines (like Gateway, PowerSpec, Dell, HP.... then spend time researching. I recommend an Excel spreadsheet. Decide how fast you want the machine to be, how much HD you're willing to pay for (if any), if you want DVD or CD drives, what size monitor you want/need. Once you fill in the important stuff look at sizes and speeds. Bus speed matters for you. So does processor speed. Graphics card. Probably sound.

Most pre-built machines will already have done a good job of mixing and matching hardware that will all work well together. (they say avoid eMachines - I have no opinion except they are cheap.) But you'll now have enough information to decide what you want to do.

Don't throw away your old stuff. Sell it on eBay or recycle it. Good luck. And maybe some gamer can help more.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/mobo-fried-what-upgrades-should-i-get.104243/
Relevancy 35.26%

Hey all I was reading on e-machines psu power supply Unit problems and now instead of just needing a upgrade on my RAM and graphic card may need a new psu too Although the stick doesnt really state that all or just some of the e-machines has problems In any case this is my cpu and I only have a about - to spend to upgrade this desktop to peform well enough to roam the WOW world I am not looking for a overhual and would like to just find reasonable upgrade to play this game From all the googling i have done my main problem would probably be my ram But since I may have to get a New PSU might as well upgrade the intergrated graphic card to a Needed! Upgrades agp slot one i just learn what this stuff actually mean today still at a lost what is best I am a ati guy but would jump to nvidia Basically i have a E-machine w- it was on Upgrades Needed! sale at walmart for when i purchased it so it was great for the price This computer may not be the best but it has serve its purpose for quite some time untill recently It seems with the most recent patches I am lagging and starting to see a large dip in FPS sometimes only fps Which really throws me off the gaming experience I planned to max out my RAM g today when going to fry s but I am at a lost with the psu and graphic card To my understanding since i am upgrading my PSU i should be able to get a decent graphic card with better quality then what i would be able to get if I stuck with the watts PSU Any help would be greatly appreciate On WOW website they recommend MB VRAM D graphics processor with Vertex and Pixel Shader capability such as an NVIDIA GeForce FX class card or above what can i get from ati that is equalivent or better From what i have been reading ati overal has better bank for the buck Thanks Kou nbsp

A:Upgrades Needed!

Be sure to search for and read all the posts on the eMachines before you spend much money.
Most eMachines cannot handle much of a video graphics card.
As for the power supply, read the posts on this forum on Power Supplies, as there are some very good recommendations. Then measure the existing power supply in millimeters for height, width, and length.
Then pick the best you can afford... related to the video card you wish to use.
Your emachine will take any power supply that fits the measurements, and allows the cables... some cables are too stiff.

But be aware that those Wal-Mart eMachines are having a terrible number of motherboard failures.
You may be better off getting a different computer, even used, and moving over your modem, cpu, cpu fan, and hard drive. You will need a different version of Windows XP to do that.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/upgrades-needed.99922/
Relevancy 34.83%

Hello This is my second post here first was in the introduce Need for upgrades.. system and some help recommendations yourself forum I have put my system specs in my profile for viewing but I ll go over them again here Back in myself and a friend who is much more computer savvy than myself built a couple of systems for myself and for my wife At Need some help and recommendations for system upgrades.. the time we spent our time online gaming playing Battlefield with the desert combat mod The systems we built to play that game and have served us well They are identical except for my wife s case is red and mine is blue Internals are the same Now we have evolved to playing World of Warcraft All was well until I went to a friends house and played it on his brand new Dell machine Not sure on the specs of his system but it was quite a difference It has convinced me that it is time for an upgrade to our systems Question one- If I were to replace the Motherboard Processor Memory and Video card would I have to re-install the OS or can I just hook it back to the mobo and go from there I assume I would need to uninstall ALL the drivers for the old mobo if it is even possible Question two- What would you recommend to use in these two systems I will spec them both the same My friend who helped me select the components for the existing systems no longer lives nearby and is out of the computer stuff for now and doesn t have the time to help me out I am pretty sure I need to get the motherboards replaced I have had a hard time finding any Graphics cards that still use AGP seems all are PCIe now and with the motherboard comes the processor I have liked AMD but that was pretty much because it was cheaper when I did the initial build I would prefer to stay with AMD but not necessary As for memory can I use what I have or has technology progressed beyond the stuff I have already Video cards- Not a clue what to get here What will be sufficient to run WoW with all the graphics options maxed out and still get a good FPS Right now I am showing between - fps and it is really jerky and at times it is unplayable on busier nights as there will be so much motion on the screen at once and lurches in spurts On my friends Dell system it was smooth and fast maxed out all the time no matter where and what he was doing Not looking to go bottom budget on these systems but am wise enough to not pay a premium for the latest technology I am happy to be or steps behind the latest and greatest I just want to be able to use them for playing WoW and daily internet surfing e-mail I would like to recycle as much as possible My Power supplies are w Thermaltakes and have done well but if I need to upgrade to more power for the videocard then so be it Present specs are below Please tell me what I can reuse I know I can reuse the DVD drives Floppy Drive etc Power Supply w Thermaltake Purepower Motherboard Processor Asus Nforce A N X-E Deluxe AMD Athalon XP Barton Core FSB Memory Kingston DDR - mb sticks Hard drives- gb IDE gb IDE non Sata Video Card- Asus Radeon XT mb DDR Sound Card- Turtle Beach Montego DDL new--need to keep Thanks for all your help and recommendations Also if you know where I can get th upgrade compnents online please let me know and why I should get them there I prefer to buy online as only local stores here are BB and Circuit City and I hate going there for Comp parts Used to have a CompUSA but they just closed down a few weeks ago Thank you nbsp

A:Need some help and recommendations for system upgrades..

Great info! Thanks. I wasn't sure if AGP was really the way to go, since it came and went so quickly. If I can stretch out the longevity of my systems by using one of those cards and updated processors, then I'll give that a try.

WoW is the only game I play on PC. I have a 360 and PS3 for everything else. My wife loves to play WoW with me, so that is what we do. (Sometimes I think she likes it more than me...)

I did a search on the GeForce7 cards you mentioned.. Any specific one? I see some that are 512mb, 256mb and 128mb. Also any particular brand that is the best?? I have heard good things about BFG....

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-some-help-and-recommendations-for-system-upgrades.99855/
Relevancy 35.26%

ok.
i have a Dell Inspiron 2650 (old)
I cant run any of my favorite games because of lack of memory and a good graphics card.
i just want to know everything i can possibly do to upgrade my computer in any way.
here are the current specs:
Mobile Intel Celeron CPU 1.50GHz
256 MB of RAM ( about to add another 256 to it but i dont know how to access the second expansion slot???????)
windows xp service pack 2
So if theres anything i can do, please and thanks for any help!

A:Need computer upgrades!

Your money would be better spent on saving for a new system

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-computer-upgrades.98107/
Relevancy 34.83%

Hello everyone, newbie tech here.

I'm looking for some worthwhile upgrades for my computer this holiday season, and I was wondering if any of you have any suggestions. I use my computer mostly for gaming, if it helps.

Here are my specs: Dell Dimension 4550, Windows XP, 1024 RAM, 120GB storage, I believe my BIOS is Mitac International A01., Pentium 4 processor, 250 watt power supply.

Also I was wondering, does upgrading a power supply necessitate buying a new case?

Thanks for your help, and sorry if theres any info I neglected to mention.

A:Worthwhile Computer Upgrades

Best bangs for the buck is a better graphics card - you need to check the motherboard to see what slots you have; suspect AGP x8 - if in doubt check the manual.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/worthwhile-computer-upgrades.92476/
Relevancy 35.69%

I upgraded MOB CPU RAM and Help with Need upgrades PC HDD on my PC here Need Help with PC upgrades is specifications I have upgraded my PC to CPU INTEL Pentium D RAM GB DDR Kingston HDD one Orignal IDE and one SATA on SATA Port on MOB MOB ASRock ConRoe -D R VGA DDR - PCI-E IDE is set to be Master CD is Slave both on same cable when go to BIOS it shows all the connected drives and new CPU and RAM but it shows instead of can i change to in Advanced option in BIOS I had XP on my IDE i am Getting to the screen where it asks for windows to run in Normal Mode SAfe Mod Networking mode if i select Normal it goes through another circle of Boot and ask the question again Do i need to install XP again For this i am thinking of removing IDE first Installing XP on SATA and Need Help with PC upgrades installing IDE again Will this be Ok or will it create some kind of problem between XP on SATA and XP on IDE What happens to the copy of XP already on IDE will i loose it along with all the programs like MS office Need Help with PC upgrades and Antivirus Or is there any other way to do it Becasue i really need those programs Thanks nbsp

A:Need Help with PC upgrades

just do a repair install of windows on top of your current windows, that will save everything u have and will make your computer work again.

boot from the CD
press enter to install XP
press F8 to agree to the EULA
when windows finds the previous installation press R
that will repair your windows.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-help-with-pc-upgrades.90572/
Relevancy 34.4%

Longish story.
Went out and bought an ATI X1950 pro to replace this crappy onboard Geforce 6150. Came home tried to put in and then upon looking realized that HP had put the crappiest power supply in the planet into this computer. How it even works with a meager 300w is beyond me. So now i have to find a new preferably atleast 500w power supply and i have no idea what i need to find.

Heres the specs if it helps.
2 Gigs of some kind of ram
AMD 64 X2 4800+ (Dual Core)
Lightscribe DVD/CD Burner/Reader
15 in One memory card reader
HP Media Drive Bay
Onboard Realtek surrond sound.
onboard geforce 6150
320 gig something harddrive

And for expansion its got
2 pci
2 PCI-E (One x16 one x1)
and 2 more slots for ram.
expansion bay for another optical drive
expansion space for 3 more HDDs.

And im completely clueless as to what i would need.

A:Power Supply Upgrades- Need some recomendations.

go for at least 500W from a decent brand such as Antec or Coolermaster.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/power-supply-upgrades-need-some-recomendations.85419/
Relevancy 35.69%

If I got a E6400 Core 2 Duo and 2 GB of DDR2800 RAM for my computer would it improve performance in games as well as in programing apps?

Specs-
ASUS P5W DH Deluxe Mobo
2 500 GB Hard Drives
Pentium 4 3.8 GHz Processor
2 GB of DDR2 800 RAM
Geforce 8800 GTX
700 watt PSU

A:Would Upgrades Help?

With that excellent motherboard... In one word YES!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/would-upgrades-help.85463/
Relevancy 35.69%

I am upgrading from my evga 8800 320 mbs to a bfg 640 mn oc2 8800 video card

upgrading my intel core 2 duo processor from 2.6 to 3.0 the newest core 2 duo out..

also upgrading my mobo which is a asus p5b to the Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus

what you guys think?

A:New upgrades what do you think?

u must be rich as hell

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-upgrades-what-do-you-think.83902/
Relevancy 35.69%

Just got my Core 2 E6320, 2GB OCZ DDR2-800 Platinum XTC Rev.2, and Logitech G15 today. And I already had the P5B Deluxe Wi-Fi Edition.

Put it together, installed drivers and crap, and now I'm running benchmarks.

37601 3dmarks in 3dMark2001
22978 3dmarks in 3dMark03
5478 3dmarks in 3dMark06

VS

~26500 3dMark2001
~18500 3dMark03
~4250 3dMark06

...in my old system.

It's much faster than before

A:New Upgrades!

Not bad MetalX

Happy computing... and game playing!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-upgrades.81711/
Relevancy 35.26%

Howdy!

Currently I'm running a Nvidia 6800 on a dell XPS 400 (Making my own next time) with 1 meg RAM and a Pentium D 3Ghz.

I know I need another 1G in RAM, and I was thinking of updating to a Nvidia 8600 card.

I'm on a rather limited budget, and could use some suggestions! Note none of my stuff is OC'd. I'm new to tweaking, don't know how, and cant afford to replace toasted parts just yet.

Do I need a new processor/mobo? (AKA: Scrap and salvage the unit I have into a new box?)
Is the 6800 crap, or am I not running it right?
Whats the consensus on the new 8600's?

Thanks in advance!

A:Upgrades on a budget...

Get a new system. You will need a new power supply to add the 8600 card.
You will get little benefit, and substantial risk, if you overclock that board.
The 6800 is not crap. But it is not a gamer video card either.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/upgrades-on-a-budget.80573/
Relevancy 35.26%

Hello Since yesterday I ve started experiencing freezes crashes and approx - bluescreens - all while playing games However it seems some games are unaffected while others are giving me a hard time I started investigating and found out that my PSU-fan has stopped working or stopped spinning However I m not sure if it s even been working before I m assuming it have as my computer is at least a couple of years old and upgrades. Fans PSU, Does the PSU fan have an own cable that needs to be connected to the motherboard or should I assume the fan is actually dead The mobo-manual indicated connections that the PSU needs to be plugged into and they both are - so my conclusion on that one is that everything is hooked up as it should be since I can t see any quot loose cables quot hanging free from the PSU apart from HDD and PCIe cables and such My system Asus A N-E nForce Ultra AMD Athlon Sapphire Radeon X GTO Fireblade ed Western Digital GB HDD x MB PSU, Fans and upgrades. Ram Antec Sonata II Miditower with supplied W PSU PSU, Fans and upgrades. WinXP Pro SP Realizing the PSU-fan might be dead I tried using SpeedFan to check for I-don t-know-what but everything noticeable there looks normal except my HDD which is at C while all other temperature-indications lie around - C Is a HDD-temperature of C something to worry about If so would the solution be to install a new fan And once again if so - where exactly does one install a HDD-fan Cooling has never been something I ve really messed around with alot neither has PSU s as you probably can tell Would it be so simple as to somehow fasten a fan to the HDD-compartment s of the Antec Sonata II Lastly I ve started considering upgrading Thought about replacing my X with a GTS and perhaps throw along an extra GB stick along with any new PSU I might end up needing now I ve also read that the GTS requires a W PSU correct Also would this upgrade be quot smart quot or should I consider something else Mainly after gaming-performance and also doing video- and image-editing So to sum it all up PSU-fan Can it be a connection-problem or should I consider the PSU quot dead quot or soon to be from cooling-issues HDD-cooling in an Antec Sonata II Is it necessary at C and what s the best cheapest easiest way to do it Upgrade Would it be wise to upgrade from my current setup to a GTS and perhaps an additional GB ram together with a new PSU With quot wise quot I mean will the performance-difference be big enough to make my current setup appear somewhat extra puny And what PSU-wattage is needed in the case of that upgrade The alternative would be to buy more new parts and re-use some of what I have now but I d rather not spend that kind of money right now I d be grateful for any answers or tips you may give me thanks nbsp

A:PSU, Fans and upgrades.

If the fan is bad, the power supply is bad. Try borrowing another to test. However, the fact that you are running is a sign that the power supply is good, so think this through.
51C is not bad.
More memory is always better, but I don't think that is the problem.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/psu-fans-and-upgrades.79594/
Relevancy 35.69%

I'm reading about the cosair xms dominator ddr2. I'm going to upgrade my ram and my psu. My board natively supports ddr2 800. Would it natively run the xms ram at 1000 or would I have to go into bios and change it myself. Also I'm lookin for a fanless psu if I can find a good one. Any suggestions. Just lookin for a really quiet syste, Also going to purchase the new phaxe cooler from CoolIt.

A:pc upgrades

You would have to change it yourself. Also, the RAM might not run at 1000MHz without increasing the system bus. So if you don't want to overclock the CPU, you might have to play with the multiplier.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-upgrades.72062/
Relevancy 34.83%

Hi guys, I'm new in this forum and I really need some help. I have a p4vmm2 motherboard with Intel Celeron 1.6 Ghz CPU and I want to upgrade it with another Intel Celeron 2.4 CPU from an ASUS motherboard. I have already tried it but it didn't work, even by setting the jumpers on the motherboard to meet the new CPU frequency. Can someone, please tell me how to solve this,
Thanks in advance,
Osmany

A:Possible CPU upgrades for P4VMM2 motherboard

It's not that simple

You have to find out what max size and type cpu your mbd will use.
Either in your mbd manual or online at the mbd information.
** You just can't stick in any cpu **
Why not just use the 2.4 and it's MBD ?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/possible-cpu-upgrades-for-p4vmm2-motherboard.71581/
Relevancy 34.4%

Hi causing Major upgrades problems folks I just bought a bunch of new computer part to give my system a complete overhaul I bought everything except case HD and cd dvd drives W HiPer PSU Major upgrades causing problems GB Corsair XMS DDR Foxconn SLI mobo gt AMD X proc quot LCD I have plugged screwed installed everything not my first build I upgraded from an AGP slot video to the PCI-x and from a amd to the dual core I can get everything to power on the RAM posts i can get into the Bios and browse in there The problem is that when i try to boot windows from my HD it stops and restarts The windows logo shows on the screen for about sec and then it restarts When i put the HD back into my old system it boots to windows just fine and shows an error that quot a major error has occured quot but no other information Any suggestions I cant really cross reference any parts because this was such a major upgrade the two systems cant share anything othere then IDE devices Thanks nbsp

A:Major upgrades causing problems

It sounds like you are trying to boot this new system from a previous installation of windows, unless I am reading you wrong.

Put in your XP cd and run a "system repair". This will load in all the drivers for your new system. Currently, windows is trying to load up the drivers for your old motherboard, and choking on them.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/major-upgrades-causing-problems.67019/
Relevancy 33.97%

Well basically my video card is similar to that Dim for *takes upgrades CPU cover* Dell a possible Ummm 3000? of that on my mother s PC which runs the games I play supurbly Then again it is a different model of Dell the Dimension Anyway looking at the specs of her computer the only huge difference I can see here is her computer has a gig of ram and it has two pentinum processors O o I have a Celeron but only one I heard that the celeron is like a slow pentium or something like that Anyway is there a way I can have to processors in this computer like her s does Even so or if not what would be the best cpu to get for my particualr make and brand without going through the lengths of getting a brand new motherboard computer I want a brand new computer but its not going to Ummm possible CPU upgrades for a Dell Dim 3000? *takes cover* happen for along time to come - - However I think if I get a better CPU then I can bare with what I have at the moment Please help me thanks in advance nbsp

A:Ummm possible CPU upgrades for a Dell Dim 3000? *takes cover*

The processor in her PC will most probably be a Pentium 4 HT, which shows up as two processors but is actually only one physical processor and another virtual processor that shows up as two physical ones. The maximum supported by ur PC is a 3.0 GHz Pentium 4 HT Socket 478, so get that if u can afford it. Also, consider upgrading ur RAM to 1GB for better performance.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ummm-possible-cpu-upgrades-for-a-dell-dim-3000-takes-cover.62468/
Relevancy 34.4%

hi people i have a 256mb 6800gs xfx card and can play oblivion @1280/1024 and on medium settings BUT i want all the getting maxed out:

should i make do with this card till dx10 or should i get a new nvidia card

A:new to forum & need info on 6800gs upgrades

Get a 7950GT right after DX10 cards come out.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-to-forum-need-info-on-6800gs-upgrades.59473/
Relevancy 35.26%

Whats up people Im looking for a little advice for upgrades Ive spent months looking at stuff mainly newegg and am just trying to get a feel for what upgrades i need Currently i have XP home AMD XP Stock cooling MSI KT Ultra Mobo Geforce Fx LE mb agp gb kingston SDram ddr lat gb HD GB HD linux Dual boot SUse x lite-on CD-RW Thermaltake w Power Supply I know it old I want to upgrade to an AMD bit single old 4 upgrades year PC needs core Are they stable Ive heard great things about the but i 4 year old PC needs upgrades want that little bit of extra in the PC A new shiny processor needs a new MoBo Any particular brand stand out above all the rest I used to have a Soyo but i dont see them around anymore My MSI runs great only issue was the dumb chip set fan but i replaced that with a fanless heat sink so its fine Im not currently looking at SLI beacuse i dont have the money for two cards and single mobos are cheaper however i noticed that to get newer fancy features on the mobo you have to get SLI And Finally Im looking for a Video Card Amazingly enough i can play BF only at the low defaults but i can Ive kinda fallen out of touch with what video cards are the best and which to buy Ive always had Geforce Chips original first comp and a GF mx mb I dont mind spending about on the new card just so long as its stable cool and will stay with the gameing curve for a few years Ive looked at the Radeon X and the X They are a bit pricy but i can see why The geforce seem a bit unstable and hot Looking at getting Kinston Hyper X ram gb gb mb im not decided yet on wether i want to get x or just a single gb stick timings are - - - Is the corsair that much better timings are - - - Finally are the Sythe brand coolers good They look realy nice and im all about silent cooling Plus im am getting fan controller so i can mount a fan and use it when needed Any and all suggestions are welcome Thanks Eddie nbsp

A:4 year old PC needs upgrades

Here're some parts I like.

Abit AN8 SLI motherboard (yeah you said you didn't want sli, but this one is still pretty cheap). I see that you like "silent computing" so this should be a nice fit, since it has a fanless/heatpipe cooling unit on the chipset.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813127207

Amd a64 3500+, nice bang for the buck.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103533

Gigabyte Silent 7600gt Pci-e. Fast, and it's quiet too.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814125025

I'd recommend either getting a 1GB or 2GB kit of memory, so you get a matched pair of memory to use in dual channel mode, which is somewhat faster. Lower cas is better, look for cas 2 or 2.5.

I guess scythe is ok, haven't heard anything bad about them.

Might want to consider power supplies as well, I like antec, fsp group, ocz, enermax, seasonic, etc. Some newer antecs have two fans, but only use one fan if the temp is cool, which makes it quieter.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/4-year-old-pc-needs-upgrades.53532/
Relevancy 35.26%

Hi First off Dell is terrible Here s my current situation I m tired of my Dimension and I m tired of the crappy graphics so I went out and I bought myself a MB Regarding Question Upgrades ATI Question Regarding Upgrades XT I installed it correctly and didn t work I ve come to the conclusion that it s due to either a lack of sufficient power from the Question Regarding Upgrades power supply Question Regarding Upgrades or the motherboard s being a So I ve decided to gut my Dell and build fresh This brings up my question I m planning on purchasing a case power supply and a new motherboard Now in my searching for a motherboard to replace this socket motherboard I ve encountered a great deal of diversity between various models Now here s my question if I plan to keep my processor and just replace the motherboard do I have to find a new motherboard with matching chipsets and quot bridges quot or can I just buy a socket motherboard and and a new case and PSU and drop in the processor and flip the switch I realize it s a bit more complicated than that And lastly if you can recommend any relatively cheap under or around socket motherboards I d appreciate it Thank you in advance nbsp

A:Question Regarding Upgrades

the basic problem with dells is that they use proprietary hardware. Many 3rd party items will not work right in a Dell.

Always build your own or buy a generic computer.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/question-regarding-upgrades.51672/
Relevancy 34.83%

well i just bought an amd dual core system with gb pc ram at i think gb upgradeable gb hard drive SATA an integrated geforce le a dell quot lcd screen and have pci e slot left pci and one drive bay already a lightscribe drive besides what are the next things i want to add thats the question hp pavilion w pk so heres my uses i look at porn i play games but not the most high end ones i tend to wait a year before i buy em i do photos on dig camera etc i read tons of news and play online games too i am into art but currently don t do intence pix work there thats kinda how i use this rig also i have another comp hooked up to it on a home lan much slower but still like modern and thats about it tell me guys what ar on upgrades! brand help new pc me decide emy nexy steps to my supercomputer would love to have the ability to watch and record tv but the reviews are so cryptic and i can t help me decide upgrades! on brand new pc decide my old pci avertv card the coax connector ripped right out and i cant get it to play anything but sriously screwed tv so i want a tv card my vidcard is integrated and i never trust those help me decide upgrades! on brand new pc to be good but this one is ok need better i think more ram good never had a thing i have tried yet go bad just wanna fine tune and not buy the wrong stuff help nbsp

A:help me decide upgrades! on brand new pc

Great system so far!

I would guess you have enough ram. There are, i believe, fairly good arguments for not going over 2 gigs on a win xp system anyway.

For tv tuners i would stick to ATI or Hauppage. Pci or usb, i dont think it matters. I have used both myself and i have a Hauppage unit right now.

As for vid cards, i dont do a lot of gaming, will leave that to those more in the know, lol. But if you dont do heavy gaming, maybe you are ok with what you have.

How about a firewire or usb2 or sata external box with hard drive for backup and storage (photos) as you only have the one hard drive listed? If firewire make sure it has the oxford chipset and no other. If usb stay away from optorite chipsets. I think i have the word right but its opto-something, these are known trouble-makers as far as chipsets go. Often the very cheapest usb boxes are the ones to stay away from, look at the specs, or go to usbman.com for all usb info.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-me-decide-upgrades-on-brand-new-pc.50212/
Relevancy 34.83%

Ok, I purchased my lappy just over 6mths ago, and now I want it to do move. Can I install a dvd-rw on this model, or a slightly faster celeron (overclock the one that I have)?

Its a Celeron 1.3 (not mobile)
W/736 ram 2100 or 2700 (I don't remember)

Help out a n00b :rolleyes:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/toshiba-l15-s104-upgrades.43177/
Relevancy 35.26%

Hi

I have just increased my RAM to 512MB, the max my pc will take. Also fitted a LG DVD Burner and a USB 2 Port into a spare slot.

The drivers were installed etc on reboot but now I'm getting various 'system error box's', IE closes after a couple of mins and sometimes the PC restarts itself.....hence I'm typing fast as I can!

Could this be a conflict somewhere as I just disabled the DVD drive in the hardware menu and all appears ok at the moment.

Thanks

A:Problem after PC upgrades

still having the same problem with the disabled dvd?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-after-pc-upgrades.41165/
Relevancy 35.26%

Hello I m a little rusty on the subject and I don t know where else to go for answers so I ll go ahead and ask I am aware that for various AMD mobo s you have to flash Multicore Regarding upgrades the BIOS in order for it to work with multicore CPU s So lets say I buy a socket board to replace my current socket machine along with a dual core proc I read somewhere that a mobo can t be flashed unless it has a Regarding Multicore upgrades single core proc in there first then letting it upgrade to dual core However since I don t have any skt single core Regarding Multicore upgrades cpu s that means that my new mobo dualcore proc purchase is useless to me unless I buy a single core JUST to flash it and upgrade it to the dual core is this true or am I blowing some random thing i read out of proportion If it is true are the makers of mobo and CPU s developing a way to prevent this kind of thing Looking forward to reply and thx in advance Cyrus nbsp

A:Regarding Multicore upgrades

Most of the latest mobo's come already with dual-core BIOS-enabled. Check that before you buy.
Check e.g. Abit AN8 Ultra

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/regarding-multicore-upgrades.31167/
Relevancy 34.4%

Hi. Sorry if this is the wrong forum, I couldn't decide where to submit this.

I'm hoping to make some improvements to my PC so that it will perform some HiDef playback, and I think I'm almost there, but the video still plays a little choppy, so I was looking for advice on what I can upgrade/change to get me over the hump.

I don't play games on my computer, fyi.

I've got a Samsung with DVI input to play the HiDef on.

AMD Athlon XP 2600+
XGI Volari V3 128mb Video Card
Realtek AC'97 Audio for VIA (R) Audio Controller
512mb DIMM - Max 1GB - Am in the process of getting another 512mb
XP Service Pack 2
100GB & 80GB IDE HDD's

Advice? Anything else I should list?
Thanks

A:Help With Upgrades - HiDef Playback Wanted

If you're talking about high definition video the only things I can see that I'd change are your processor and your RAM. I'd give it a test first to see if the RAM you're getting makes enough of a difference - if not I'd swap out that processor for a faster one. I have tried playing HD Windows Media on my XP 2600 and it skips a bit on that machine - whereas the same video will play perfectly fine on any of my 2.8+ Ghz machines. With the size of the drives you listed I can only assume they're 7200 rpm and that's plenty for just playback.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-with-upgrades-hidef-playback-wanted.28793/
Relevancy 34.4%

Hello I have some questions on my IBM ThinkCentre A p - U with an Intel G Chipset Is it possible to upgrade my current Power Supply from watts to something along the lines of Watts Am I able to remove the Motherboard and place it in this new case XG Viper Blue and Black -Bay 8432-96U ThinkCentre upgrades IBM A50p ATX Window Case w W PSU Seeing as that case comes with a Watt ATX Power Supply IBM ThinkCentre A50p 8432-96U upgrades Will my Motherboard work with it ex Wont have any issues fry my Motherboard What Form Factor is the IBM Thinkcentre A p case and the Power Supply ex ATX Micro ATX Am I able to purchase a higher wattage Power Supply must IBM ThinkCentre A50p 8432-96U upgrades it be purchased from IBM or can I purchase from anywhere as long as it meets the form factor To make a long story short I know this is a business PC Office PC but im a struggling College Student and would like to turn this PC into a temporary Gaming PC plan on buying an Nvidia for it will this work fit nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ibm-thinkcentre-a50p-8432-96u-upgrades.19727/
Relevancy 34.83%

motherboarrd: shuttle nforce2 ultra an35n
Video: powercolor Radeon 9800se
CPU: retail box athlon xp 2400 2.0ghz

and ofcourse the pre-order for d3 costed 58

all came out to 308 dollars.

so. what do you guys think? did i choose wisely?

A:I BOUGHT MY UPGRADES FOR D3. Check them out!

MSI K7N2-delta <~~$98
XP-2800+ (Barton)@2.08Ghz<~~$110
PNY FX-5200ultra<~112
none of witch were bought online
=$320 plus tax mind you
i would say yes you chose well.
i would have chosen a different Video card maker though

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-bought-my-upgrades-for-d3-check-them-out.14526/
Relevancy 35.26%

I am just about to get paid a vast well almost sum of money in the region of and basiclly Money, etc. Upgrades I need to know what I should spend it on See System specs below Let me clarify I don t know how much of that cash I can hold on to I suspect a major chunk will get lost in dept Money, Upgrades etc. repayment mainly for other computer parts and other vital expenses The least Money, Upgrades etc. I will end up with should be - hopefully more Possible upgrade paths - gig Corsair TwinX DDR RAM - -As a replacement for my current RAM - I should be a ble to get for on ebay -It would allow some nice stable overclocking of my to or higher -Good upgrade path to a socket Athlon Money, Upgrades etc. however seeing as socket s days are already numbered a socket is much more likly -Less good upgrade path to a Athlon If the s run a Ghz FSB quad pumped then ram is not going to be a great deal of use Would I need PC RAM - x Raptor gig SATA HDD s - x -Double the storage space double the speed -Double the noise expensive for gigs hot - New Soundcard Audigy and Speakers - Various -A Audigy would be nice for surround and EAX -Therefore I need some speakers -Do I honestly need a new sound system Isn t enough - A Nice TFT Gaming Moniter - Lots -My current quot CRT isn t very good and is VERY badly scratched where my dad cleaned it with window cleaner and took the anti-reflective coating off - no honestly he did -If not sure what make model I want - recommendations please -Its not exactly desperate - It would just be nice to have a decent TFT Any suggestions comments recommendations would be greatly appricated Thanks in advance Steg nbsp

A:Money, Upgrades etc.

Well, if your monitor is badly scratched, I'd get a new one if I was you. Otherwise your computer looks fine, I don't really see good reasons to upgrade.

You know, you can spend money on other things than computing - maybe someone close to you?

And there is also the option to save the money for the future

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/money-upgrades-etc.10761/
Relevancy 35.26%

im ok with upgrading regular pc's, i've built a few, but i have a friend who asked me to take a look at his labtop, its a p3 forgot how fast, but he wants to upgrade the ram, he has 160mb, i guess i gotta find out how much it can hold.. he has about a gig left on the hard drive, not sure im gonna upgrade that, but if i do, i just wanna make sure its not rocket science... sorry i dont have the model number, and its a compaq...

should i be able to do it? yes or no?

A:labtop upgrades...

You can definetly add more RAM if it isn't maxed out (probably not, 160 is a weird number) and replacing the HD can be done too.

You can check all the hardware limitations from the Compaq website (if you know the model number of course).

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/labtop-upgrades.9743/
Relevancy 33.54%

Microsoft reveals 23% of user upgrades to Windows Phone come from Android

Not a surprising number, considering instability + performance (and security) issues with many many android sets.

A:Microsoft reveals 23% of user upgrades to Windows Phone come from Android

I kindof just can't wrap my head around those numbers though. The Feature Phone to Smartphone upgrades are all great! But I wonder what kind of Android handsets the WP8 users are coming from. For instance I upgraded my Samsung Galaxy Ace (Crappy Android Phone) to an "Ativ S" (ridicilously cheap top of the line WP8 Phone). That said though, I really regret doing so because this far WP8 has been pretty much only a disappointment as far as I'm concerned. And I think anyone coming from a proper Android handset will be equally if not more disappointed then what I am.

Hardware wise my Ativ S is absolutely phenomenal value for the money. But decisions such as locking the Search button to "Bing Only" (who the **** uses bing over google, seriously?) or not supporting swiping keyboards is just really killing it.

I'm not saying it's all bad. I'm likely to keep my Ativ S for a couple of years and it serves me very well for the most importaint tasks, such as calendar usage/todo lists/notes/email/photos and all of that. But with the direction microsoft are taking I think it's really quite unlikely that I will ever buy another windows phone handset.

It's kindof like I have a really good phone, and I know it's really good. But I JUST DON'T LIKE IT.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/microsoft-reveals-23-of-user-upgrades-to-windows-phone-come-from-android.193925/
Relevancy 35.26%

I came across this and thought some might consider it interesting reading:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/173069/free_win_7_upgrades_have_fee.html

A:'Free' Win 7 Upgrades Have Fee!

?

Wasn't MS giving the updates?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/free-win-7-upgrades-have-fee.135681/
Relevancy 34.4%

Hello; I hope any1 could help me with this error;
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (100)

that's all i get every time i try to install or upgrade. This started when i did an upgrade on my ubuntu box; now i dont even have sound and I can update or install anything without getting this:

E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (100)

HELP PLEASE

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ubuntu-cant-do-upgrades-installs-or-updates.108205/
Relevancy 33.97%

I need some serious help with a problem that I have been troubleshooting for days without any progress I recently upgraded my PC after Stop Upgrades BSOD Hardware Error from an AMD Athlon XP on an Abit NF -S G with an AGP Radeon XT to an AMD on an ASUS A N-SLI Deluxe with a PCIe Radeon X XL Now after booting it gives me a stop error blue screen with the error code STOP x e xC x xF BA C xF B DBC strange thing is Windows XP Home Edition service pack boots up to safe mode safe mode with networking and VGA mode Enabled just fine It has no problems there I just BSOD Stop Error after Hardware Upgrades it stops with the error code when booting normally The error occurs right after the POST Mem Test and BSOD Stop Error after Hardware Upgrades IDE tests prior to the Windows OS loading screen While in BSOD Stop Error after Hardware Upgrades Safe Mode and VGA Mode I updated EVERYTHING including the Realtek Audio drivers nForce chipset drivers Catalyst Drivers for my Radeon and the drivers for my Ethernet controllers It is running on the latest non-beta BIOS Any attempts to flash the BIOS with the latest Beta BIOS version using a Windows GUI BIOS Flash tool returns an error that states that it cannot verify the ROM after flashing so it aborts and restores the previous BIOS I have run out of ideas and im not sure what else to do to fix this problem so any help will be much appreciated -Exceter nbsp

A:BSOD Stop Error after Hardware Upgrades

That's the same thing as mine almost..

See
http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic38170.html
No solution to date. Running msconfig and setting boot.ini switch to /sos will get you a full working machine. Join the club
MS recommended first remove SP2. If that didn't work format/reinstall. If you didn't want to do that do a "parallel
install so you had 2 copies of XP to boot to. Boot to the bottom one on boot screen.Transfer settings and then eliminate bad one. I'm still in a email dialogue with them but didn't do any of these "recommended" things. Out of curiosity do you have any new "minidumps" in windows/minidump folder? I don't get any. At least it's not a MB or graphics problem I have an nVidia fx5200 on a chaintech vnf3-250. MS sort of implied a compatability problem w AMD64 and SP2. Longshot is a incompatability w/ the Newcastle core maybe????
Error 0X00000007e (0xc0000005, 0x00000000,0xf7a2f0c0,0xf7a2edbc)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bsod-stop-error-after-hardware-upgrades.39069/
Relevancy 35.26%

Although I have no idea when I'm supposed to be getting the upgrade, I happened to run the Check for updates & it showed none so I clicked the view update history & thats when I saw this

I guess I just wait & see

A:W10 upgrades failed

This just arrived in my inbox this morning, can someone explain it to me?

Thats how I came to my previous post. I'm wondering if it'll tell me the date? Hope I'm making sense.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/w10-upgrades-failed.217446/
Relevancy 35.26%

I honestly don't trust the auto installer...because I feel like it installed a 32 bit OS instead of the 64 bit version that my computer can handle.

Can I find out if my current installed OS is 64 bit?

A:Windows 10...how can I tell if it upgrades me to 64 or 32 bit?

Go to Search > Type This PC > Open This PC > Right Click in the white space hit properties > It will be listed there for your version.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f338/windows-10-how-can-i-tell-if-it-upgrades-me-to-64-or-32-bit-1030001.html
Relevancy 34.4%

Your Windows system may have a Defer upgrades option for Windows Update This option delays feature upgrades for several months while allowing security updates through Enabling this option puts your Windows PC on the Current branch for business Its intended for business users who want to wait a bit longer before getting new features on their PCs What Does Defer Upgrades in Windows Mean Important points The Professional Enterprise and Education editions of Windows all have the Defer upgrades option Windows Home the standard version of Windows youll get on most new PCs does not have this option Note that the Professional edition of Windows doesnt actually use this option by default youll still have to enable it yourself Feature upgrades can only be delayed several months Its unclear exactly how many months these upgrades will be deferred for But it is clear that you Mean?", Windows "What Does ?Defer HowToGeek via 10 in Upgrades? cant defer these upgrades indefinitely You can defer updates to ensure theyll receive more testing before they make it to your PCs Enabling the Defer upgrades option puts your PC on the Current branch for business And a good explanation of the different branches

A:"What Does “Defer Upgrades” in Windows 10 Mean?", via HowToGeek

Note that the Professional edition of Windows 10 doesnt actually use this option by default youll still have to enable it yourself

Will this option be available when Windows 10 notifies you the download is ready for installation ?

Could one also "HIDE" this update and after a length of time install this update through "Restore Hidden Updates" ??

Edit for grammar.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/583837/what-does-defer-upgrades-in-windows-10-mean-via-howtogeek/
Relevancy 33.97%

Update 2: We've not heard back from Microsoft yet, but The Verge has—and it's good news for any pirate out there, wherever you are. In a statement issued to them, Microsoft explained that "[a]nyone with a qualified device can upgrade to Windows 10, including those with pirated copies of Windows. We believe customers over time will realize the value of properly licensing Windows and we will make it easy for them to move to legitimate copies."

http://gizmodo.com/all-windows-10-upgrades-will-be-free-even-if-your-copy-1692096375

A:Windows 10 Upgrades Will Be Free—Even For Pirated Copies

The Microsoft folks is going to be happy that it'll resolve the problem of "nobody is using Windows" in my country (because everyone use pirated Windows).

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/570507/windows-10-upgrades-will-be-freeeven-for-pirated-copies/
Relevancy 35.26%

I am using win 8.1 and will keep it and not upgrading to anything else from M S  so what am I looking for and where do I look

to make sure I am not forced in upgrades and can it stopped before the fact and not after ?

If an upgrade sneaks in under my radar how do I revert back to 8.1  ?   :  (

A:Forced M S upgrades

Hi Pestyone What are you afraid of right now? You're afraid that Microsoft makes you upgrade, but upgrade to what? Windows 10? This isn't the case right now and it won't be until at least 3 months. Plus, I really doubt that they'll force an upgrade to Windows 10 via a silent update, this would be unethical and a lot of users would complain about it.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/574281/forced-m-s-upgrades/
Relevancy 34.4%

Me and my friend just bought new evga 80 bronze 500w PSU and new CPU for inspiron 580. Everything works good and detected new CPU and rates it as dual core. However we now cannot get picture through the 9800 gt gpu (yes I know its old) Now can't get picture anywhere......tried both dvi ports and NOTHING pull out gpu and onboard kicks in and works fine....any ideas??? Please help cause I'm at a loss....even removed/replaced cmos thinking it would help.

A:Graphics card not working after upgrades

I hope the suggestion is not insulting but I take it that the PSU is connected to the 9800 supplementary power
Supplementary Power Connectors
6-pin x2

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/graphics-card-not-working-after-upgrades.1155538/
Relevancy 35.26%

Hey folks looking to do some upgrades soon and for upgrades! Need your brainpower would love your help Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Pro Need your brainpower for upgrades! bit Processor Intel R Core TM i CPU X GHz Intel Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX Ti - Mb Also have a NVIDIA GeForce GTX installed Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB D Total - MB Free - MB E Total - MB Free - MB F Total - MB Free - MB G Total - MB Free - MB K Total - MB Free - MB Y Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard EVGA X SLI Classified Antivirus Windows Defender Disabled So here s what I m thinking Samsung s new Pro SSD with x the read write speed Do I need a new motherboard for this Will this motherboard support USB USB C Still confused about these Maybe PSU is a bit old Where to find this spec New processor Something decent Think this guy is the bottleneck Please let me know your thoughts I d like to get my basic set up quot future proof quot for at least the big hardware upgrades anticipated for the near term Would winter be a good time to do this Or am I missing some important trends or upgrades Thank you everyone nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-your-brainpower-for-upgrades.1156526/
Relevancy 34.4%

Hello,

I am attempting to open up a project in Adobe Premiere Pro CC that contains RED footage in it, but my computer always crashes when doing so. I am able to open up projects that do not contain RED footage, but even those projects are very laggy when I attempt to edit them.

Based on my system specs, http://imgur.com/MVlBTfK , what upgrades to my computer would help make RED footage easier to handle? I am editing off of the "Reason" Drive: http://imgur.com/gXG0hKQ

Thanks!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/upgrades-to-my-computer-to-edit-red-footage.1156928/
Relevancy 33.97%

Hello I have been searching the Internet for many leads but have come up empty handed I am new to these forums so I am not sure whether or not this is the correct area to be posting this upgrades Dimension OS)? E520 (Ram, Card, Graphics - Dell Possible in I have been looking to upgrade my old computer an Dell Dell Dimension E520 - Possible upgrades (Ram, Graphics Card, OS)? Dimension Dell Dimension E520 - Possible upgrades (Ram, Graphics Card, OS)? E to a more powerful computer so it is able to run d based programs without an hint of lag I have looked into getting new computers but I'd rather upgrade the computer I have so I can use it for a few more years My system specifications are as follows Computer Dell Dimension E OS Windows Ultimate x Bit Bios Processor Dual Core Intel Pentium D CPU GHz Current Ram Gb Graphics Card NIVIDIA GeForce LE mb Power Supply Watts Bios Screen I hope this is enough information and I would like to upgrade the ram to make use of the two extra slots so I can get Gb's and also upgrade the graphics card to an Although something I really want to know is if the dell Dimension can handle the windows Bit or do I have to go down to a lower OS Also has anyone done this before and does anyone have any advise for a suitable graphics card that will not overtax my power supply Thank you for reading any help would be most appreciated Sean Hall

A:Dell Dimension E520 - Possible upgrades (Ram, Graphics Card, OS)?

I had an E510 which is basically the same vintage. You are better off just buying a new PC rather than try to upgrade the hardware in the E520.

First, max memory, according to the Dell manual, is 4GB. If you upgrade the Video card you will need a new power supply. The Dell power supply is 300 watts and does not have a PCIe power connector. The motherboard is a BTX style and it has a Dell proprietary and undocumented front panel connector, thus you couldn't upgrade the motherboard (if you can even find a BTX style motherboard) and use the Dell case.

Better off to put whatever money you would spend on the limited upgrades into a new, modern technology, computer.

From the Dell manual:
MemoryType 533-MHz and 667-MHz dual DDR2 unbuffered SDRAM
Memory connectors four
Memory capacities 256 MB, 512 MB, or 1 GB non-ECC
Minimum memory 256 MBMaximum memory 4 GB

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/264758-dell-dimension-e520-possible-upgrades-ram-graphics-card-os.html
Relevancy 35.69%

I want to setup two SLI int he future and i need to know if the PSU i have will meet the power requirements I also want to add a SSD another GB of memeory and a blu-ray Drive This is my setup EVGA GeForce GTX G-P - -KR GB -Bit GDDR PCI Express x SLI Support Superclocked ACX Video Card ENERMAX Fulmo ST ECA Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case Intel Core i - Haswell Quad-Core GHz LGA W BX I Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics Western Digital Blue WD EZEX TB RPM MB Cache SATA Gb s quot Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive GIGABYTE GA-Z -HD P LGA Intel Z HDMI SATA Gb s USB ATX Intel Motherboard G SKILL Ripjaws X Series GB -Pin DDR SDRAM DDR PC Upgrades PC Desktop Memory Model F - C S- GXM RAIDMAX RX- AP W ATX V v EPS V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Power Supply Any advise will be appreciated nbsp

A:PC Upgrades

Raidmax is not a recommended pw supply for gaming systems. Good ie recommended units; corsair [ax, hx or rm models ONLY] seasonic, FSP [only units with the 5yr warranty or antec [only the HCG models]
Your pw supply carries a 2yr warranty. A quality unit comes with at least a 5yr warranty. That alone should tell you about the quality of raidmax.

To answer your question, no I would not use that pw supply with either a single gtx970 or two of them.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/pc-upgrades.1157346/
Relevancy 33.97%

Hello Getting pretty close to deciding on a new Dell XPS desktop Seems like all the major brands have the same horror stories re service returns etc and have more or less come to the conclusion it is pretty much the quot luck of the draw quot irrespective of which brand you get Agree The Dell XPS seems to come in a few different flavors As I've mentioned my Worth Upgrades 8900 Extra ? XPS Dell $ Desktop: For The family does no gaming Do a lot of photo and video work Dell XPS 8900 Desktop: Worth The Extra $ For Upgrades ? and viewing YouTube viewing internet surfing etc Pretty much the Sr Citizen kinda home stuff a Would appreciate your opinion if it is worth an additional to go from a th Gen Intel Core i - with M Cache to a th Dell XPS 8900 Desktop: Worth The Extra $ For Upgrades ? Gen Intel Core i - with M Cache b And for the video Card another to go from a GT NVidia GeForce Dell XPS 8900 Desktop: Worth The Extra $ For Upgrades ? GB DDR to a GTX NVidia GeForce GB DDR Would I likely notice any differences for either upgrade If so how Thanks for opinions Bob

A:Dell XPS 8900 Desktop: Worth The Extra $ For Upgrades ?

My suggestion to my clients is "buy as much as you can afford" and "buy overkill".

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/385330-dell-xps-8900-desktop-worth-extra-upgrades.html
Relevancy 34.83%

In my hidden updates are FOUR Windows 10 updates......3 just say Upgrade to Windows 10 Home. The other one says the same except is lists version 1511,10586. If after the first of the year and I decide to upgrade, which one do I use?? Many thanks as always.

A:Multiple Windows 10 Upgrades

If you upgrade at mo use the one listed then update again as update have been added as at the moment mine is reading 1511 Th2 10586.17.

http://www.pchelpforum.com/windows-10-a/127651-multiple-windows-10-upgrades.html
Relevancy 34.4%

Hey, I'm thinking about buying CCleaner and I can't find it listed on their webpage But do you get full access to future free software upgrades?

A:Buying CCleaner Professional and upgrades?

Uncleaner does a better job and is free

http://www.pchelpforum.com/software-support/126072-buying-ccleaner-professional-upgrades.html
Relevancy 35.26%

I have bought my first gaming computer Over time I am thinking of upgrading it PC Specifications This is what I was sent to give me upgrades New PC do? could I what gaming a idea what to upgrade to what do you think The ASUS Maximus Formula is fantastic high end motherboard for a LGA and it has New gaming PC what upgrades could I do? had its Bios updated to be able to run CPU's like the QX this is what I would be looking for on eBay as an upgrade The GB XMS Pro RAM is great you wouldn't need to upgrade this if you were to get a QX or similar You will be very surprised with the Cross-Fired HD 's they perform extremely well and are very underated If you did feel the New gaming PC what upgrades could I do? need to upgrade them I would go for Cross-fired HD 's HD 's or one R x power supply will still be absolutely fine with these You should need to upgrade the SSD's or HDD's unless you require more space as there Read Write New gaming PC what upgrades could I do? speeds are very high Depending on what CPU you upgrade to you may want to upgrade the CPU cooler as some of the high end ones can get quite hot

A:New gaming PC what upgrades could I do?

I am new to Gaming PCs the computer turned up today. It does not have a disk drive how easy would it be to fit one? Can I install any disk drive or do i need the right one.

http://www.pchelpforum.com/gaming/126684-new-gaming-pc-what-upgrades-could-i-do.html
Relevancy 34.83%

I have been wondering, what pieces of hardware should I change. I use my custom made computer mostly for gaming and i'm having a few problems with my future decisions:

-First of, I have bought 7.1 surround sound headset but sadly I have no 7.1 motherboard or soundcard. My current motherboard is Asus Maximus V Gene with 5.2 sound system.

-My desk has lack of multiple screens. I believe that two GPUs can run three screens (correct me if i'm wrong) but my motherboard doesn't have enough ports.

-if i'm about to add an additional GPU, can my power source handle it? My current power supplier is Corsair HX650W silver for gtx900 GPU series

A:Custom Computer Upgrades

For your headset you'll need a 7.1/7.2 sound card...you can get a decent one for around $50. If you're replacing your current GTX 560 with the new GTX 900 series: Yes to multiple monitors and yes to your PSU.

http://www.pchelpforum.com/computer-diy/127660-custom-computer-upgrades.html
Relevancy 34.83%

Hey all, I'm new to the forum and building in general, was just looking for some help. I have a PC I've built roughly 3 or 4 years ago, and believe it's time for a few upgrades (due to the fact my PC has been acting funny). As far as I remember, my specs are:

CPU: i3-3220
Motherboard: Some ATX micro motherboard
HD: 500gb Western Digital Blue
Graphics: AMD 7850HD 2GB Radeon
Ram: 8GB (can't remember brand)
Case: Cooler Master Elite (Small)
Power Source: I'd have to look inside to be exact.

The budget for upgrades is about $500. Thinking about a new case (to house a new motherboard), and CPU. Any help is greatly appreciated.

A:Help with upgrades and knowledge appreciated

Need some more info about MB, may be possible to put better processor.
Take better look at PSU. it may be enough because that GPU is a big power spender and any newer cards are less power hungry if you mean to change that. (it's still pretty good GPU).
Think about getting an SSD, everything will look peppier with it.

http://www.pchelpforum.com/computer-diy/123673-help-upgrades-knowledge-appreciated.html
Relevancy 33.97%

Hello

I have used the tray app to register for Win 10 upgrade on a number of PCs / laptops (Win 7 & Win 8).

However I am now a bit concerned that come "D-Day", the app will automatically download the installation files (or at least a significant amount of them) on 29th July - but I would like to take complete control over the upgrades as some of my computers require some preparation & research prior to upgrade.

Can someone clarify for me ?

Thanks

A:Taking full control of Win 10 upgrades on 29th July ... ?

It will download the files but you get to choose when to install them.

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/9025-taking-full-control-win-10-upgrades-29th-july.html
Relevancy 33.97%

Hello,

Last night I made a rather large upgrade to my system, Motherboard, CPU, and RAM to be specific. Everything worked fine that night, but this morning I have "Activate Windows" sitting in the bottom right corner of my screen.

Going to settings to Activate Windows gives this message:
"Activation failed because this device doesn't have a valid digital entitlement or product key. Error code 0x803F7001"

I preformed the free upgrade to windows 10 from windows 7 if this effects it any.

How would I best go about reactivating windows. I read that a clean install should solve this problem, but I would rather not wipe my HDD if at all possible,

Thanks, EvanS

A:Windows 10 showing not activated after hardware upgrades

The activation fails because you have replaced the Motherboard and the MS servers do not recognise your system. Try entering your W7 product key.

http://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/32580-windows-10-showing-not-activated-after-hardware-upgrades.html
Relevancy 34.4%

Hi, I recently bought a HP Envy 17t with Windows 10 64 Bit on it. The first thing I did was to check if any updates were available, there were, and I downloaded and installed them. I checked again about 10 after that (about 2 weeks after getting the laptop). Since then however I can't install any upgrades. I start the download/install process, then leave. When I get back a couple of hours later, I see an error message saying that the MS servers could not be reached.

I don't know what's going on here. I haven't been able to download and install any Windows or MS Office upgrades in over 4 weeks.

Can anyone help me please.

Thanks.

A:Windows 10 can't download and install upgrades

Win 10 Home or Pro ?
If it is Pro, find out if you have accidentally enabled the Defer upgrades option.

Settings > Update & Security > Advanced options > Defer uogrades

http://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/33860-windows-10-cant-download-install-upgrades.html
Relevancy 26.23%

Hello, I have my original activation key but when trying to finalize it, windows tells me this key is only for upgrades not for clean installs?

I had to to do clean install and it was from my original official backup disc so I'm not sure what the problem is?

A:Activation says my key is only for upgrades not activation?

Maybe you bought an upgarde disc and not a full install disc.

Use your original disc, not the backup.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/388100-activation-says-my-key-only-upgrades-not-activation.html