Windows Support Forum

Okay!!!! My HP ENVY PHOENIX DESK TOP is in a AUTOMATIC REPA...

Q: Okay!!!! My HP ENVY PHOENIX DESK TOP is in a AUTOMATIC REPA...

My system will not let me on the internet or get to my folders. It is in a loop that keeps saying "Automatic Repair" - then it says an error has occurred - we will restart for you.... then the loop starts again! Do I need a new hard drive? This have never happened with my Toshiba Laptop or my DELL XPS!

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Okay!!!! My HP ENVY PHOENIX DESK TOP is in a AUTOMATIC REPA...

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Okay!!!! My HP ENVY PHOENIX DESK TOP is in a AUTOMATIC REPA...

Greetings, I have seen this before. Did you implement any recovery strategy for getting back to your previous OS if you upgraded to Win 10? Have you backed up the important stuff because recovery does not always work? You may have to rebuild this PC using HP Recovery media or a reinstallation of Win 10. You need to create Win 10 boot media using a different PC. See Windows 10 Forum for detailed repair options and instructions. Option 5 applies when using Win 10 installation media. Refer to the beginning of the article for recovery options. Try the least destructive options first, startup repair or system recovery. Jay

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Boot-and-Lockup/Okay-My-HP-ENVY-PHOENIX-DESK-TOP-is-in-a-AUTOMATIC-REPAIR/td-p/5597238
Relevancy 26.66%

Good day to all,

This may or may not be possible, but let me try and explain. I was wondering if it were possible for a mirrored copy of a file to exist. Meaning every time I modified the file or file (s), its corresponding mirrored copy would change too.

I've been saving a lot of things to my Google Drive recently. I was wondering if it were possible for these files to have a mirrored copy saved to another location on my Hard Drive as well.

New files are being added to the Google Drive on a daily basis, so I doubt there would be a way to set this mirror to new files automatically. And this of course, is assuming that this is possible at all. Let me know if you would like me to elaborate or if this can or can't be done at your convenience.

Thanks,

Speck

A:Automatic mirror or copy of files for backup purposes

If you require

update foo.txt => mirror:foo.txt
for each and every alteration of foo.txt in real time, then basically you're asking for a RAID-1x implementation.

If you can tolerate a nightly sync of *modified files*, then you might look at

allway sync.
You map a local directory onto a remote directory and run the sync one-way to the remote.

Now on a schedule (or manual invocation) only the mods in the local migrate onto the remote.

Frankly, this is my backup strategy for my laptop.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/automatic-mirror-or-copy-of-files-for-backup-purposes.202960/
Relevancy 27.09%

Howdy all The amazing folks at Tech Spot saved my bacon many moons back helping me fix a virus laden laptop for Brand New to can't HP connect 17 Internet Envy Quad Touchsmart my sick kid And so I turn to Brand New HP Envy Touchsmart 17 Quad can't connect to Internet you with my latest computer nightmare and beg of your assistance once again I just bought a new HP ENVY TouchSmart t-j Quad Edition Notebook PC ENERGY STAR for my daughter for Christmas It arrived yesterday and I opened it up to start preloading her software onto it so she can have it ready to go Christmas morning Unfortunately the thing just won t let me get connected to the internet via wifi It is using an Intel Wireless-N adapter running Windows factory installed I have tried everything I could think of - using Intel drivers instead of Microsoft ones resetting WINSOCK flushing the DNS using a static IP instead of dynamic the works Nothing appears to be working The device can clearly see my network - it shows up on the list of connections and validates my security information running standard WEP security - not the best I know but it s easier for the multitude of tech I have on my network all of which connects fine but it only gives me limited access and does not want to connect to the network or the internet My base system is running Windows My router is a Netgear Rangemax Wireless-N Gigabit Router WNR v I have not tried a hardwire connection yet as I really need this to be a wireless device Help me TechSpot Gurus you re my only hope nbsp

A:Brand New HP Envy Touchsmart 17 Quad can't connect to Internet

Hey Mark. I would connect to the Net by cable and allow it to get any OS updates and/or driver updates before I change any settings.While online,try to connect wirelessly to see if it finds any updates quicker.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/brand-new-hp-envy-touchsmart-17-quad-cant-connect-to-internet.198670/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hey guys,

I'm needing some information that is extremely hard to come by.

The 740m in the HP Envy 17t-j000, does anyone know, or does anyone know WHERE to look (Google failed me, or I failed Google!) to find out whether it needs ACTIVE displayport -> HDMI adapters?

I question this because I know the 57xx series from ATI required active. The card only supported 1 RAMDAC signal (or something?) and the Nvidia's tech seems different. According to HP support, passive will work fine. I need to have the adapters ordered ASAP, but I do not want to order the incorrect ones.

Any assistance is appreciated.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-envy-17t-j000-w-740m-triple-monitor-setup-questions.197029/
Relevancy 28.38%

When I bought this computer it had windows 7 on it. it ran everything lag/shutter free. I have since upgraded to windows 8 then to 8.1. The problem is the audio and video noticeably lags/shutters. As if the entire computer is pausing. I have talked to HP tech support and they only reinstalled the drivers. All drivers are current. I am fairly sure it has something to do with the HD4k graphics but I do not know for sure. I was hoping the 8.1 would resolve the problem but it has not. I have this problem whenever I watch videos (on the internet or from file) and when I play World of tanks. Any help would be great

A:HP envy 1038-nr

I seen similar comments re "since upgrading to Win/8" and (imo) think the drivers are not 'fully compatible' with the new system.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-envy-1038-nr.194074/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hi guys!

I'm having trouble configuring my router. I want it to auto connect to internet after the modem got disconnected. What I do now is everytime my connection is lost, I have to reboot my router. So is there a way to not reboot my router after it has regain the connection of the cable modem? I'm using a belkin router - N300.

Thanks!

A:Can I set the connection of PPPoE to be automatic on Belkin router?

More info needed to answer this question. Who is the ISP? what is the model of the DSL modem?? How is everything hooked up?? Generally speaking, a DSL provider gives/rents a DSL modem/router to the customer. if the connection is getting dropped that frequently there may be an issue on the ISPs end, an issue with DSL filter placement, phone line noise, etc. Post back please. Thanks!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-i-set-the-connection-of-pppoe-to-be-automatic-on-belkin-router.179572/
Relevancy 33.97%

I have a Logitech Performance MX mouse It s maybe a year old actually it s months old today as a matter Mouse/'dead spots' on desk of fact just looked it up I have a spot on my computer desk where I ve always used the mouse It seems like it s creating dead spots where the pointer will kind of hesitate on screen and I don t get the precision I Mouse/'dead spots' on desk m used to Works well in Mouse/'dead spots' on desk other areas of the desk but not as great and precise as it once did Plus I can t get used to having the mouse there I ve cleaned the pads of the mouse cleaned the desk put in a brand new fully charged NiMh battery any other suggestions I m also wondering about range I wanted to plug the tiny usb connector into the back of my tower which is maybe feet away from the mouse but it doesn t register well at all if I plug it into a front usb slot which is only maybe a foot closer it works fine nbsp

A:Mouse/'dead spots' on desk

put a piece of paper under the mouse and see if it helps.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/mouse-dead-spots-on-desk.175246/
Relevancy 27.52%

I was just wondering if anyone can help me with something?

Basically I'm trying to sort out having some automatic messages pop up on the computers in the public IT room where I work as we're having problems with usage and restrictions so we want to be able to tell the public easily what they can and can't do especially as they seem to have complete disregard for the signs that are up everywhere e.g. no eating/drinking etc....

The computers are all on a simple LAN (I think), but after a quick google I had a lot of confusing stuff all trying to promote intranet programs etc....

I'm fairly savvy, just want a push in the right direction.

Thanks guys!

A:Need Automatic Messages to pop up on public computers on a LAN

Can't give you the details (as i've never used it myself) but you might conider using the Windows Alerter Service.
> It was intended to set administrative alert pop-up messages to machine on a network
> You need to assure the Alerter Service is Enabled on each machine (by default it's Disabled)
> YOU MUST BE CAREFUL that your External firewall has the alerter service port closed!! (you'll have to look up the port number. i dont recall it) BECAUSE:
===> SPAMMERS on outside networks used to send messages to users on internal networks by spamming messages to the open port used by Alerter Service

But if that port remains DISABLED at the WAN interface level, i think it shouldn't be a problem

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-automatic-messages-to-pop-up-on-public-computers-on-a-lan.154014/
Relevancy 37.41%

Hi, I was looking to update my motherboard drivers and there i found update for
my BIOS. My mobo is MSi K8N NEO4 Platinum [MS-7125] 1.0. I downloaded update for BIOS, and i got 4 files: 7125 - Text document that says what is that update doing. it says: This BIOS fixes the following problem of the previous version:
- Improve compatibility problem with nVidia graphic card
- Improve stability problem when doing overclock behavior.
Im getting a new nVidia gpu, and + my system is unstable when oc so i really need this update. I also got a exe. file, and some 160. file. when i click that exe file nothing happens. Last file i got is called How To Flash the BIOS.doc. Do i have to read that file in order to update bios?? I dont understand English very well, is FLASHING bios updating BIOS?

A:How to update Phoenix AWARD BIOS v6.00PG

Unless you are having a problem that the BIOS update will solve, I recommend not flashing the BIOS. There is a risk. If something goes wrong with the flash whether it's your mistake or a power outage or something else, your motherboard could become useless. This is a risk especially if you are not sure how to read the instructions on how to do it.

Do you have a problem that you think updating the BIOS will fix?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-update-phoenix-award-bios-v6-00pg.143414/
Relevancy 24.08%

This old laptop is 5600 wrong automatic driver to driver? FX GeForce update go the perfect extra system to have around Great screen sound and keyboard touchpad layout GeForce FX go 5600 driver automatic update to wrong driver? blah blah but It has a NVidia GeForce FX Go graphics card The history is like this Got the laptop from my mother too heavy for her worked great until the power socket burned out had it repaired the repair guy probably updated my drivers after that the screen started showing blotches of kelly green wherever the screen was black and on white backgrounds there are pink-purple lines areas waves I thought the screen was toasted because of something to do with the power so I attached another monitor - worked fine Definitely thought it was toast but didn t give up I went to the HP support site and used their scanning tool They have two drivers listed for my I downloaded and installed the newer of the two Same problem Then I on a fluke and out of desperation downloaded and installed the older driver Voila Magic It worked Looks gorgeous Now the problem is that once in a while every few days the green and pink areas return I roll back the driver and it s fine again How can I delete the BAD drivers which XP is apparently accessing for automatic updates or something like that How can I quot lock quot the good driver so that I dont have to roll back to it every few days P S In my search for answers about the pink and green I saw MANY posts in different forums with the same problem Usually the answers tell the poster that the display is burned out but now I m not so sure and if it s just a driver issue we need to let them know nbsp

A:GeForce FX go 5600 driver automatic update to wrong driver?

With an old laptop like that, I'd suggest going to the manufacturers site and download their latest driver for that unit first. It may be dated but that's OK. You'll know that that driver is supposed to work, and you can continue on from there. Uninstall the old drivers from the add remove programs app. Then uninstall the GPU from device manager. Run a program like Guru3D - Driver Sweeper to clean up any orphaned files before installing the new drivers. If there is a better more nVidia specific program for cleaning the drivers hopefully one of the regulars here will post a link to it. That utility works on both nVidia and ATI drivers. If the downloaded drivers work you can let it go or start slowly upgrading to newer drivers till you find one you are happy with. There's not really any way to lock a driver. You might be looking at a dying GPU also so keep that in mind.

One other thing. When you reboot after uninstalling the device and drivers and reboot, keep closing the little "found new hardware" balloons in the lower right corner till you get a message "there was a problem loading drivers for this device". That stops the OS from installing generic drivers.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/geforce-fx-go-5600-driver-automatic-update-to-wrong-driver.133714/
Relevancy 37.84%

I need to update the bios on my pcg-c1vp sony vaio netbook"PheonixPhlash Error File open failed on PLATFORM.BIN press any key to exit". The bios is the one that the sony vaio website links to "Phlash5.zip" containing "Phlash5.exe".

Maybe i need to run it outside of windows, but im updating the bios because it won't recognize any external boot formats. Its running windows xp pro at the moment and that is the only capacity that it will boot in.

A:Phoenix bios flash failure

Sony should have Bios Flashing instructions on their support website. Find them! Most of the time bios are flashed outside of Windows using a bootable floppy or CD/DVD disc

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/phoenix-bios-flash-failure.129716/
Relevancy 27.95%

Hi guys it s been ages since I posted here but I recently discovered the forums again and I could underclocking Automatic use some help I recently purchased a new quad core phenom II system with a pretty power hungry sapphire I am really happy with it However I also recently purchased a wattmeter and I was amazed at how much power my new quadcore uses compared to my other desktops It Automatic underclocking s not strange since most have onboard graphics older processors etc I really expected it But I went experimenting I Automatic underclocking downloaded ati tray tool and underclocked my GPU in D mode because who needs the power when browsing the internet anyway and reduced the power my pc uses from around watthour idle it s pretty normal these days I think to It automatically clocks it back to stock speeds when a game is loaded That got me thinking I usually over clock a pc in the BIOS but if I could find a tool that would underclock my pc but reset it to default speeds and voltages when gaming this would be pretty handy Now my question is is there any tool that can underclock and undervolt my CPU while I m at my desktop but return it to stock speed while playing a game just like ati tray tool did for my GPU I would also consider a tool that can just overclock in cases of e g D applications and underclocking my CPU standard from the BIOS thanks for the answers nbsp

A:Automatic underclocking

That got me thinking. I usually (over)clock a pc in the BIOS, but if I could find a tool that would underclock my pc, but reset it to default speeds and voltages when gaming, this would be pretty handy.Click to expand...

It does that automatically...the new phenom II processors automatically bring all four cores down to (if I remember) half speed. A single semi-demanding app will spark all cores to full though because of performance issues related to vista threads jumping around into power saving cores.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/automatic-underclocking.129581/
Relevancy 27.09%

I need to know how to stop shared printers on my network from being automatically discovered. I have already unchecked "Automatically Search for Network Folders and Printers" in "Folder Options" and it still discovers printers every time I login after having deleted the printers previously. I am stumped on this one.

A:Automatic Discovery of Shared Network Printers

in services; set SSDP to startup DISABLED

Q1: What OS are you using?

Q2: Are these printers attached to other systems OR do they attach to the network
using an IP address of their own? if the latter, then also set Bonjour Service to DISABLE

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/automatic-discovery-of-shared-network-printers.128776/
Relevancy 34.4%

Hello. New to the boards, and new to wireless Internet connections. I bought a computer from my employer and it came with a wireless adapter already installed. When we attempted to connect to the Internet we didn't have to do anything and it connected on its own. The problem is that the connection goes in and out and we sometimes can't get an Internet connection. Sometimes access points (I guess I am calling it by the correct name) just appear on my available networks list, and sometimes I can't find any to connect to at all.

How can I find and connect to public access networks, and keep them from dropping off my list so that I can find them again later? Help please! Thanks

A:Wireless Internet w Desk Top PC

This is a desktop PC? You posted this in the Mobile Computing. A laptop, PDA, Blackberry and cell phones are examples of mobile computing devices. Have someone replace the wireless card in the PC with a better card

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wireless-internet-w-desk-top-pc.123232/
Relevancy 27.95%

Hey everyone I have a se computer running a online radio station I do It does the job perfectly so no I am not going to upgrade to XP or Vista Here is the problem everything works fine except the VNC application that I use if a problem arises and I can not be in the studio Only problem is randomly the VNC server crashes the computer sometimes with a blue screen Question what is the feasibility of remotely shutting down and rebooting the computer if needed I though about using some kind of Home automation software like X- to just cut the power if I need Automatic Reboot it to Or just setting a timer to cut and restore power every night when no one is listening anyway But both methods could possibly damage the hard drive I have another computer that I use in the station that is going to be Automatic Reboot setup as a meda server for the other computer to access the audio on so I was thinking about a shared HD so nothing is lost if the constant rebooting hurts the other computers Hard drive Thanks for any help and suggestions --Daniel L nbsp

A:Automatic Reboot

What Version of VNC. Is it specifically UltraVNC if so uninstall then reinstall. I think the last ver for 98 was ver 102.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ultravnc/tech/1915/

If it is not UltraVNC then uninstall what you have and install Ultra.

Also low disk space or large Temps can cause issues.

Get and run CCleaner http://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds

Get Dclean http://majorgeeks.com/DCleaner_d4790.html and stay clean.

Mike

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/automatic-reboot.120948/
Relevancy 36.55%

ok so i got this hp pavilion ze5800, pretty good machine and i dont know what the bios password is, bios manufactured by phoenix i do know that much, can anyone tell me a way to retrieve the password or bypass it?

A:phoenix bios password hack or bypass or software to find it HELP!!

There is probably no easy way.

The passwords on laptops are designed to not be easily bypassed or reset.

I would take it back to the place you bought it and get your money back.

Wearing some oven gloves probably wouldn't hurt either.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/phoenix-bios-password-hack-or-bypass-or-software-to-find-it-help.46323/
Relevancy 27.52%

I just bought a kingston pen drive it seem that it having problem with my usb drive or something

when i try to scan virus on it or copy file in or outside it will eject itself automatically

after a while i know that that it cannot use together with my mouse(when they plug in my computer together)

i always need to unplug my mouse in order to use my pendrive it make me crazy

it should not be the virus problem

my usb hub is old version type(not 2.0)

anyone got any ideal to solve this???

A:Pen drive automatic eject

You are best to mount the pen drive directly into the computer (hopefully in a USB 2 connector).

The USB 1 hub that you spoke of is the problem, they just don't have enough to hold the pen drive and mouse (possibly other USB devices connected to it.
You should purchase a USB 2 powered hub.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pen-drive-automatic-eject.107841/
Relevancy 27.52%

Hey!

I've just baught a new computer and i have been running it for only like 4 days. So far so good, but today the computer automatically restarted itself and i got these messages from windows after the restart

BCCode : 100000d1 BCP1 : 0000FDBF BCP2 : 00000002 BCP3 : 00000000
BCP4 : B9841347 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 3_0 Product : 256_1

Technical info:
C:\DOCUME~1\Micke\LOKALA~1\Temp\WER9ed1.dir00\Mini070408-02.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Micke\LOKALA~1\Temp\WER9ed1.dir00\sysdata.xml

I went to C:\DOCUME~1\Micke\LOKALA~1\Temp\ but there i didn't find the map WER9ed1.dir00...

Does anyone knows what wrong? or do we need to get that *.dmp file?

//Micke

PS. If u are a swedish person, u can write to me in swedish =).DS

A:System automatic restart

Please post your computer specs. My blind guess is that it is a new computer, Windows is doing all the updates. Some of these require a restart. If all else is working at this time, I would not worry.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/system-automatic-restart.107861/
Relevancy 34.83%

I have windows vista and lately my desk top freeses and at time so does my web browser. I have to hit control,alt, delete then cancel out then the desk top works again only to freeze again after a few minutes, then i have to repeate the prosses. what causes this and how can i fix it?

A:Desk top freeses

What is your computer? System specs, make and model number?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/desk-top-freeses.103663/
Relevancy 27.95%

I'm having a problem to dial up the connection automatically. Anyone know how to dial up the connection to internet automatically whenever i open the PC?
Please help me, thanks.............

A:automatic dial up

How about Control Panel> Internet Options> Connections tab> Dial up settings> Setup? That should work for you.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/automatic-dial-up.86434/
Relevancy 38.27%

I using laptop Compaq v3203TU and windows Vista. Then i update my bios using file i download from hp website.. This file "WinFlash for HP Notebook System BIOS (for Notebooks with IntelProcessors) - Microsoft Windows/Vista-Based". But after i update then when restart it show this in screen "BOOTMGR is compressed. Press Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart.. Then i go to bios, it want me to enter the password.. Who know the password? Or anything that i can solve this problem.. Please help..

A:Phoenix Bios Password

Compaq tech support is very helpful. I assume you are still under warranty if you are using VISTA.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/phoenix-bios-password.85359/
Relevancy 38.27%

i believe my bios chip is faulty, it has intermittent problems when it boots. and even if i change the bios setting it is not stored it goes back to the default settings. i have replace the battery already and no change i have even try resetting the bios. and i have problems obtaining a chip

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/phoenix-bios-d686.80963/
Relevancy 27.52%

Hi

I use Tiscali as my ISP and a Belkin modem + router (ADSL + 2 modem with wireless G router - F5D7632-4 ver 6)

I have been having a lot of problems with my internet connection. I often find that when I start my computer the internet connection is dropped. This means that I have to log into the router and reconnect. I share my connection with a couple of friends. The problem is that when I'm out they can't connect to the internet if the line is dropped and I'm not in to reconnect the router to the 'net. I am not willing to share my router password to allow them access to the router configuration!

Does anyone know of a way to configure the router so that when the internet connection drops it automatically reconnects?

Will

A:Automatic reconnection to the internet?

Try a different router. You may have one of the many defective Belkin units. Also, it is possible that your DSL provider has a problem... It might be worth it to call them to see if there are problems reported in your neighborhood.
If no router is available, I would remove or disable the drives and reinstall them. I would also check with Belkin web site to see if updated firmware or drivers is available.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/automatic-reconnection-to-the-internet.76040/
Relevancy 27.52%

i just using my computer early, suddenly the AVR was blown up., i replaced the new AVR, but after plug-in, my computer doesn't power on..so i replaced the PSU, with new one..after setting up, my computer automatic ON after switchin ON the AVR..the CPU Fan spining, no beeps, no display...

i tried running my MB out of its casing, only with processor..same problem
automatic ON after switching ON of AVR..

what seems to be the problem..any idea to fix it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-computer-automatic-on-after-switching-on-the-avr.73660/
Relevancy 27.52%

Help!!!! All of the sudden my PC is acting funny. Everytime it goes into powersave mode and then you "awaken" it by moving the mouse--even if its only be 10 or 20 minutes it reboots the entire system. Randomly, yesterday, the entire cached internet file was deleted, but none of the cookies. I am running Windows XP. Not sure if I've got a virus (nothing shows up on virus scan) or a trojan horse or what the deal is. Anybody have any ideas?? Thanks!
Sarah

A:Automatic Reboot with Hiberation

Hibernation is full of bugs. It is perhaps one of THE most stupidest things Windows has ever invented (excluding windows 2000)... Just try to use standby instead although this also may cause problems.

Regards,

Korrupt

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/automatic-reboot-with-hiberation.57707/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hello my friendly experts,

I have set my computer to boot up every day, via the BIOS, for the past year and its been working perfectly.

However, recently it has started not to do so. What could be the problem?

Could it be the computers battery that runs the internal clock?

Any ideas?

Matthew

A:Automatic Computer Boot No Longer Works

The big question.. What did you do to break it?

Is the setting still there? Try re-applying it.

If the battery was dead, then it should be forgetting all kinds of other settings too, giving you errors at startup.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/automatic-computer-boot-no-longer-works.48658/
Relevancy 37.84%

HI FOLKS, I HAVE PROBLEM THAT AS OF YET I AM UNABLE TO SOLVE. I AM UNABLE TO GET IN TO THE SETUP MODE ON MY CLEVO LAPTOP TO ENABLE ME TO FORMAT THE DRIVE AND REINSTALL WINDOWS XP PRO. I PRESS F2 IT THEN GOES INTO THE BIOS SETUP UTILITY, AND TELLS ME TO ENTER THE PASSWORD, THAT I DO NOT KNOW, IS THERE ANY WAY TO DISABLE THIS PASSWORD SO I CAN GET IN TO SETUP MODE. I WANT TO UNINSTALL WINDOWS XP, AND THEN REINSTALL. I HAVE 2 DRIVES ON MY LAPTOP,D WHICH HAS 2GB AND C WHICH HAS 25 GB, I HAVE HAD A LOT OF FEEDBACK BUIT ALAS TO NO AVAIL, THE BIOS SETUP SAYS PHOENIX, I HAVE TRIED THE GENERIC PASSWORDS BUT THEY DON'T WORK, ANY ADVICE IS APPRECIATED

thanks moosep856

A:still unable to get password FOR PHOENIX BIOS

Welcome to techspot...

Look in your mainboard manual for instructions on how to "clear cmos" or similar. Basically, it's a little jumper on the mainboard that erases the BIOS settings (which is where the password is stored).

Once you've done that, enter the bious, and load failsafe defaults if you don't know how to set it up as you'd otherwise want it, and proceed to only change the things you understand, or that are related to any problem you are having (and it helps if you understand those!)

Lastly, just a bit of kind advice, but please don't continue to post all in caps (uppercase). Apart from looking untidy, many consider it to be equivelant to shouting, and so it's considered impolite (just simple nettiquette).

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/still-unable-to-get-password-for-phoenix-bios.44977/
Relevancy 27.52%

when i open a program let say yahoo messenger then i will click on a button it will automatically signed out? is it my pc or the downloading process?

A:what must be the problem?????automatic sign out!!

Do you have virus protection? It could be a virus or some spyware messing with it. Do you get a lot of pop ups? If you do have anti virus and are not experiencing spyware and pop ups, you can restore your pc to an earlier time when it was working using system restore(assuming you are running windows xp)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/what-must-be-the-problem-automatic-sign-out.35319/
Relevancy 34.4%

Ok I have Athlon xp based computers runs great As for the other First I was a little skimpy on the jel so I added about a mm strip of jel down the center of the dye Now my computer is not shutting down I have a different case and yes it was instead of for the other one but it had some features that were better for its location like side usb ports blah blah blah So I got this thing down to C when the processor is idle at and below When I run games it climbs towards C before I stop it I think the case sucks and tower my my desk for cubby under I also got only cfm fans It will also be in a desk inclosure with the door locked cracket inches I have kids I have weak fans in the front and one weak fan in the back Also there is not much breathing room in the back of the cubby I punched out the backing but it is still only - inches form the wall in the back Tight squeeze I am thinking of putting a regular fan in the cubby to blow hot air the computer makes out the back Just a regular fan you would plug into an AC outlet Is that an idea as long as I don t face the regular fan into any computer cubby for my tower under my desk vents Just gonna put it cubby for my tower under my desk on top of the computer to circulate outside air outta the desk enclosure I plan on getting a pci fan to suck air in and more powerful case fans Where should I put the louder fans for best flow Will this do the job Our should I throwout the case and rip everything out and start over Not Thx for any info nbsp

A:cubby for my tower under my desk

I once did something similar to that, I actually cut a hole in the inside of the cubby and mounted a fan there, inline with the side fan in my case, I backed the desk 6" away from the wall, and punched out the entire cutout area in the back of the cubby.

I also once created a similar setup for a client but instead of punching out the back, I put a duct running from the back case fan to the floor, where it blew out, like a dryer duct. It was a bit extreme but it was a small room and it helped lower the room temp by quite a bit, the comp temps also came down to below 50c after that.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cubby-for-my-tower-under-my-desk.30715/
Relevancy 27.52%

My friend and i have been given a pc that was automatically trying to dial up to the internet.it had had Win ME on and my friend has formated it four times pulled it apart including the cmos battery changed the dial up settings and installed Xp. None of this works and i said sounds like a virus but he has run anti virus and on boot up. Is there such a virus or trojan that tries to dial out is it infected the mother board or bios. i said to install sygate firewall as i have it and it will tell you when something tries to dial out but he has installed zone alarm. i also said win patrol helps me to track down process that are running. Any one with ideas or heard of this before. please reply.

Cheers
Riggs

A:i can't stop Automatic dial up is it a virus

It could very well be, disconnect your phone line from the computer immediately. Run virus and spyware programs immediately. There are dialers that will dial up porn sites, and even make overseas calls, thus running up your phone bill.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-cant-stop-automatic-dial-up-is-it-a-virus.29523/
Relevancy 27.52%

Twice in the past 3 months or so my ISP's DNS server has went down. When this happens I set my DNS manually using IP's from a couple of open DNS servers. As the DNS outage only lasts a couple of days I like to change it back to automatic and use their DNS server as it's faster. My question is everytime I switch it back to manual DNS I have to retype the IP numbers in, and is there a way to keep them set, but not use them unless the automatic DNS isn't working? Better yet would be an option where the automatic is primary and an open DNS is secondary, allowing me to be even more lazy and not have to change the DNS manually.
Thanks

A:switching between automatic and manual dns in windows xp

You can add the numbers below your ISp's. Go to your network connection Select Properties | Internet protocol (TCP/IP) Click Advanced | DNS tab. Add the numbers and use the arrows to order them.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/switching-between-automatic-and-manual-dns-in-windows-xp.26176/
Relevancy 27.52%

I recently installed a pt880 mobo with a p4 3.2 ht. An ati 9600 graphics card.
My computer keeps rebooting for no aparent reasons at any time. Swapped 3 memory modules. 2 hard drives. Disables ht. flashed the bios. Have not switched video card. Does any one know whats going on. Help is much appreciated going crazy.

A:Automatic reboot after new mobo

You need to do a fresh install of Windows, otherwise the system-drivers from the old motherboard play havoc.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/automatic-reboot-after-new-mobo.23146/
Relevancy 27.52%

Actually, I just want to know is it possible that photoshop can create automatic layers while we create a new objects. When we insert any image or paste any data, then only it will create layers automatically, otherwise not.
But in Fireworks, it creates an new separate layer automatically every time when i use any tool even when I use marquee tool.
If its possible in photoshop, then plz help me because I am now very much fed of creating layers manually.
Thanx

A:Create automatic layers in Photoshop?

Anything is possible with Photoshop with a person new to the software...
You would be helpf by purchasing a good used copy of a Photoshop training manual... there are probably 30 differemt ones.

Photoshop requires more explanation than we have room for here.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/create-automatic-layers-in-photoshop.149837/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hi!

I was just wondering hot to stop all the automatic things in office 2007?

A:How do I stop all the automatic stuff in Office 2007?

I'm afraid you will have to be a bit more specific. I'm not sure what 'automatic' stuff you are talking about.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-i-stop-all-the-automatic-stuff-in-office-2007.146221/
Relevancy 27.52%

Are there any utilities out there to automatically have windows 7 select a program's affinity? I'm running Win 7 x 64 on a 6 core AMD chip.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/automatic-affinity-selection-windows-7.155375/
Relevancy 27.52%

I need a software, compatible with Windows XP, that can automatically take files and chunk them. For my purpose, it needs to be able to, for example, take all my personal music files and split them into 25 MB sizes.
Any help is much appreciated.

A:Is there an automatic file splitter?

Winrar - ex. you can choose a folder (an album for ex.) and the "add to archive" and then you get to choose in how big files you want it to split the file...I don't know how to explain it but it works, try it.

http://download.cnet.com/WinRAR-32-bit/3000-2250_4-10007677.html?tag=mncol

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-there-an-automatic-file-splitter.152807/
Relevancy 27.52%

Hello,
nowadays I have to install a lot of same programs to different computers. I usually install fffice, 7-Zip, Firefox and other main tools. But downloading and installing programs one by one takes a lot of time. So I thought if there are any program, which allow to choose multiple exe files and make one which will be installed silently. I know program called "Ninite", but it doesn't install office and other things that I need. So maybe you know such an app?

A:Multiple automatic program installation

I don't know of a program to do such, but I simply have several programs, security/browser, on a flashdrive. Plug it in,install & update & ready to go. Good luck.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/multiple-automatic-program-installation.190362/
Relevancy 26.66%

I am creating Office 2007- Automatic Subtraction Excel Microsoft a worksheet about financial repayments where the repayments are irregular Say for example the total repayment is and I put this in cell D alongside other headers I am putting the repayments in column C so the first entry would be in cell C What I want to know is whether or not there is a very Microsoft Office Excel 2007- Automatic Subtraction I mean VERY Microsoft Office Excel 2007- Automatic Subtraction simple way to format column D so that any entry in cloumn C will be automatically subtracted from the first figure of and subsequent running totals and if so will I also be able to format column D as a figure I know how to do that but not with any other formatting Yes I know I sound very lazy I am but my maths are poor and it will be a long list so if I make just one error it will be a load of hassle I would be obliged for any assistance Thank you nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/microsoft-office-excel-2007-automatic-subtraction.139026/
Relevancy 37.41%

Anyone uses this? I need help in the "Append Header Files" part. Thanks.

A:Stellar Phoenix Windows Data Recovery

Yup i had used stellar phoenix windows data recovery software.
Tell me what is you problem?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/stellar-phoenix-windows-data-recovery.122969/
Relevancy 28.38%

Hi,

I'm wondering if there is any software out there or documentation about getting exe's to run automatically, so there is no pause for accept agreement, put in you email etc,

i want to give an exe i have to total non IT people so they can double click and be done with it.

Best regards

A:Automatic exe's

Microsoft IExpress will do that.
However,sending .exe files to non-tech people is exactly what cyber criminals would do.You should make it very clear to these people what it is.
You should also warn them that clicking on .exe files in an email is normally a very bad thing to do.:evil:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/automatic-exes.158501/
Relevancy 27.09%

i am using a connection which provides night unlimited but it starts form 2 o'clock to 8 in the moring. i wanted to ask that is there any way to start the downloading torrents automatically? is there any option in software(torrent clients) to do this? or any torrent clients provide this facility? i am
i am fed up of waiting for 2 o'clock. please help me out guys.

A:option to start automatic torrent downloading..

Can't you simply schedule for BitTorrent (or whichever client you happen to be using) to launch at a specific time ? Once it's launched, it should automatically start downloading.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/option-to-start-automatic-torrent-downloading.90809/
Relevancy 26.66%

I'm trying to print a mail merged document of about 160 letters and MSWorks automatically inserts page numbers when I go to print or preview the document. How do I stop the insert of page numbers?

Message: You have added the Insert Page Number field to the merge document. Each entry in the merged document will be marked sequentially. Click OK to number each entry sequentially.

A:Printing unwanted automatic insert of page numbers in MS Works

instead of using works which is incompatible with most other word processors and not fully functional, use openoffice which is and is free and can save in MANY formats.

www.openoffice.org

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/printing-unwanted-automatic-insert-of-page-numbers-in-ms-works.128552/
Relevancy 27.52%

I have a Gmail email account and also a ymail (yahoo) email account. I would like whatever emails that I receive in my Yahoo account to be forwarded to my Gmail email add.

Is there such an option in yahoo to automatically forward emails to another email account?

A:Automatic email forwarding

You can't do it for free. The only way that I know how to do it would be to upgrade to Mail Plus.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/automatic-email-forwarding.122266/
Relevancy 27.95%

My Gateway ML 6720 laptop runnin Vista home is unusable. It keeps rebooting itself automatically. When the blue screen flashes by telling me (I assume) what the problem is it flashes so quickly I can't read it. Is there any thing short of getting a new laptop that I can try?

A:Automatic Reboots

Hello Dan,

Can you start your laptop in safe mode? The way to do that is start the laptop and repeatedly press the 'F8' button until you get to the 'advanced boot options' screen.  Boot to safe mode and once you are there, you will go to Start menu>accessories>system tools>system restore.  Choose the point before you were having the issue and run the restore. DO NOT STOP OR INTERFERE WITH THE SYSTEM RESTORE ONCE YOU HAVE STARTED IT!  ALLOW IT TO FINISH.  

If you are unable to boot to safe mode, have you tried to do a system repair with your oem disk?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/575901/automatic-reboots/
Relevancy 24.08%

From vinaya pande quot Newcomer in training quot ouch Hi files Wallpapers stop to How inclusion cache? automatic Pictures" in from "My everybody I have only recently discovered that picture files in the quot My Documents quot gt quot My Pictures quot folder are automatically sent by Windows to the Desktop Wallpapers cache I don t want them there The Web has provided quot copping out quot solutions such as quot shift the pictures elsewhere from the My Pictures folder and the unwanted intruders in the Wallpapers cache shall vanish quot But these kinds of solutions beg the question Why should I move the files to another place Why How to stop "My Pictures" files from automatic inclusion in Wallpapers cache? can t there be a provision for prompting the user whether he wants the pictures as potential Wallpapers Is this an example of oversight by the supergeeks designing refining the Windows OS Or is How to stop "My Pictures" files from automatic inclusion in Wallpapers cache? a bug in my system or in the OS to blame So please please tell How to stop "My Pictures" files from automatic inclusion in Wallpapers cache? me how to stop the pictures ending up as additional Wallpapers without uncalled for surgery on the folder nbsp

A:How to stop "My Pictures" files from automatic inclusion in Wallpapers cache?

Windows doesn't do that basically.

You must have either:
Another program using My Pictures as your wallpaper, installed
or
Display Properties (in Control Panel) Screensaver, is using your My Pictures folder

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-stop-my-pictures-files-from-automatic-inclusion-in-wallpapers-cache.100105/
Relevancy 37.41%

To the powerful rustam_:
I salute you with both hands. I read your postings and i must say I am a huge fan of you. You truly are a superior being. I need a little help, please.
I bought a Laptop the Sahara Brand from someone. If you start it up it asks for a HDD password. Fortunately the guy gave me this password. Everything works fine, but I wanted to put the harddrive in a PC and I need to disable the HDD password. In order to do this I need to get in the BIOS. It is from Phoenix. I tried to search the web and it gave me "PHOENIX" etc. but these master passwords don't seem to work.
Please help to find the bios password.
I do thank you for your time.
soloplax

A:how to recover Phoenix Bios Password on Laptop

Rustam isnt here today, he's on a sabbatical, apart from which all his posts centre around the removal of DELL laptop passwords not a Sahara Brand one.

Most of these phoenix passwords can be cleared by removing the CMOS battery, you would need to download the handbook for the laptop to find out where it is.
Regards

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-recover-phoenix-bios-password-on-laptop.65698/
Relevancy 33.97%

i have 2 pcs one is running with Linux Enterprise edition ws 3.0 and other with 2003 standers server/win98 , here problem is i wants to get the desk top of linux in windows machine, how can i configured those things?, i heard about VNCserver , but dont know how to configure that with these Pcs so give a details replay and plz help me to sort out the problem.....

Regards

A:Linux Remote Desk top Problem

You can use VNC to do this. www.realvnc.com

Read the docs, and you will be fine.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/linux-remote-desk-top-problem.17681/
Relevancy 33.54%

Hi everyone!
ok i am a newbie, noob , whatever and i sure could use some help here. My problem is the other comp I have are missing its desk top icons and start menu. and wouldnt you just know it,?? my son hasnt the slightest idea of how it happened. hmm. is there anyone that can give me a little assistance of what i may could do to get this stuff back?? any little itty bitty help at this time is better than none....... please!!!!!!!!

A:missing desk top icons and start menu

Check the recycle bin and see if they are still there.

If you are using XP choose a restore point when you know the icons where there. This should solve the issue

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/missing-desk-top-icons-and-start-menu.59200/
Relevancy 26.66%

Hi !

How can I prevent programs in Vista to popup automatic to front whenever they have a message or ask for details etc ?

Thanks

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/vista-prevent-programs-to-popup-automatic-on-front.110790/
Relevancy 37.41%

I'm not sure I am posting this in the right forum, but I will be in Phoenix, Arizona for 6 weeks this summer. My mother only has dial up access to the internet. Is there any way that I can subscribe to high speed access for a 6-week period? I really don't want to drive to the nearest hotel and sit in their lobby solely for the purpose of accessing their high speed internet.

Thank you for any suggestions.

A:Obtaining high speed internet in Phoenix

try cricket communications they have the monthly highspeed internet i think check it out they should have it in phoenix http://www.mycricket.com/broadband/ its monthly. nevermind that wont work

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/obtaining-high-speed-internet-in-phoenix.105760/
Relevancy 27.95%

Hi all (again)

Here's my situation. I want to access my ZIP drive in RedHat, so I right click on GNOME's desktop, click Devices, and select "ZIP". This seems to mount the ZIP drive.

But before I do all that, I can't access it when typing /mnt/zip into an address bar. ALSO: /dev/hdb4 is treated as a file, instead of a drive (hdb4 is the ZIP drive)

IS IT POSSIBLE to have Linux "auto-mount" the ZIP when I insert the media?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/automatic-mounting.10120/
Relevancy 27.52%

I have recently had a issue with opening Automatic Updates I have spent all day trying to fix it with no success so I was hoping making a post here might help The problem is every time I try with Automatic Updates Error to open anything that has to do with Automatic Updates a window pops up saying quot The application failed to initialize properly xc Click OK to terminate the application quot Error with Automatic Updates And anytime I try and do a Windows Update via windows com I get a different error saying quot Error number x DDD The site cannot continue because one or more of these Windows services is not running Automatic Updates allows the site to find download and install high-priority updates for your computer Background Intelligent Transfer Service BITS helps updates download more quickly and without problems if the download process is interrupted Event Log keeps a record of updating activities to help with troubleshooting if needed To make sure these services are running Click Start and then click Run Type services msc and then click OK In the list of services double-click on Automatic Updates and then click Properties In the Startup type list select Automatic and click Apply Verify that the Service status is started if the Service Status is Stopped click on the Start Button In Error with Automatic Updates the list of services double-click on Background Intelligent Transfer Service BITS and then click Properties In the Startup type list select Manual and click Apply Verify that the Service status is started If the Service Status is Stopped click on the Start Button In the list of services double-click on Event Log and then click Properties In the Startup type list select Automatic and click Apply Verify that the Service status is started If the Service Status is Stopped click on the Start Button quot If I could get some assistance on how to fix these errors I would be very grateful because I can t update my computer without these Thanks nbsp

A:Error with Automatic Updates

The problem is every time I try to open anything that has to do with Automatic Updates, a window pops up saying "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005). Click OK to terminate the application."Click to expand...

Try This link it will tell you what the problem is. this refers to the first error code.
http://www.updatexp.com/0xC0000005.html

For error code #2 go here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910337

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/error-with-automatic-updates.109633/
Relevancy 27.52%

When the IE finishes loading a window this pops up automatically. Happens on a random basis. How can this be permanently disabled?
A friend of mine even complains that WinXP does it with tasks, but I couldn't confirm this.

A:IE automatic window popup

I think it might be spyware. Get Adaware and scan your drive for stuff like Save and Gator, etc.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ie-automatic-window-popup.6015/
Relevancy 26.66%

System Specs Motherboard Asus A N -SLI Deluxe Processor Athlon X Duo Ram GB Power Supply Thermaltake W Hard automatic after occasional occurs screen updates Blue Disk Seagate Barracuda SATA Boot Seagate Barracuda EIDE Data DVD Drive Aopen EIDE DVD Burner Sony EIDE Blue screen occurs after occasional automatic updates I have Blue screen occurs after occasional automatic updates a been having a very unusual problem which I believe may be hardware related Here is what happens Windows is running an automatic update Usually it works fine but sometimes I will lose my internet connection To restore my internet connection I have to shut down my computer and unplug my cable modem to reset it Once that cable modem is reset I start my computer to restore internet connectivity However in some instances it will bluescreen giving the following message PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA When this happens I have to boot into safe mode and run system restore often twice use last known good configuration does not work If I don t run system restore the bluescreen error repeats with the same message Once I have restored the system it acts normally again until the next problem manifest In some instances including todays instance I cannot power the computer back on immediately after the crash I such down several lights and my HL- printer and eventually got power back to the computer Blue screen occurs after occasional automatic updates I was able to repair it normally after that There is one symptom I find interesting upon restoring the system many files loaded on my data hard drive that does not contain Windows or any essential Windows files that were copied to it between the system restore date and the bluescreen crash vanish I find it odd that system restore would delete files on my data hard drive unrelated to Windows in this case I had just downloaded self-extracting exe of firefox a few days ago to my data drive upon restoring to the middle of last month it vanished from the drive I had not yet used this exe to install the latest version of firefox The exe of an older version of firefox that I was using was located in the same directory it remained intact I have started messing around with the SDK debugger and dump files but I really do not know what I am doing I only have two dump files one dated last month probably the restore date and one dated March this year Nothing dated today which is one the most recent bluescreen has happened The only thing I leanred from the dump files is the ntoskrnl exe was involved in the crash This problem has been plaguing me for a while and I am tired of it and want it fixed but it is so hard to pin down I do not know if it is a hardware problem and which piece of hardware it is related to I have reasons to suspect the power supply the mobo and both hard disks Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated I have attached the most recent dmp if any know how to use these properly Thanks nbsp

A:Blue screen occurs after occasional automatic updates

According to your dump file memory corruption is your issue. Therefore our advice is for you to run the free and safe Memtest on your RAM.

See the link below and follow the instructions. There is a newer version than what is listed; use the newer. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Step1 - Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes; the more Passes after 7 so much the better. The only exception is if you start getting errors before 7 Passes then you can skip to Step 2.

There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Step 2 ? Because of errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don?t need to run the test any further on that stick.

Link: http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

* Get back to us with the results.

*** If Memtest shows no errors then find the voltage specs of your RAM and compare it to the voltage setting in your BIOS. Do they match?

* By the way, have you updated to Service Pack 3?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/blue-screen-occurs-after-occasional-automatic-updates.150077/
Relevancy 33.54%

Back when application small menu tray or Desk tweak ui for Win first came out it had a program included in it called something like tray menu It was just an icon on your task bar that allowed you to put your most used apps in it so they would be easy to get to Now apparently it does not come with it I dont really like icons on my desktop and would just like a way to pull up a small menu to use the things I use the most I have found a bunch of stuff on the web but most of it is not really what I am looking for I would love to have just Desk tray or small application menu that plain old tray menu that came with tweak Desk tray or small application menu ui Anbody know a program like that Soething you could even hot key to etc Thanks S gt Desk tray or small application menu Never mind guys and girls I found what I was looking for finally It is called next start I may have to go back to college to learn to run it however S gt nbsp

A:Desk tray or small application menu

Hi Sicarius...

You may also want a look at Object Bar and True Launch Bar.

In my opinion i prefer Object Bar...

Too lazy to post links, just look for them in any search engine.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/desk-tray-or-small-application-menu.2373/
Relevancy 33.54%

Greetings techspot

REcently my windows has been experiencing hard lock ups while i am gaming or during normal use. i am not sure how thes are occuring but i have checked my hardware and seems nothing wrong with it just dusted it out fans working fine. and when i do freeze up i cant do anything but the ALT TAB hot key however i cant use CTRL ALT DELETE.

Then nothing is woking i cant click on the toolbar and the desktopjust freezes up and this happens randomely can anybody shed some light on this situation for me i'll post up my specs if needed ty =]

A:my windows OS is experiencing hard lock ups on the desk top

What are your system specs and operating system? How old is this system?

Could you answer this post with the lack of info you provided? I think not...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-windows-os-is-experiencing-hard-lock-ups-on-the-desk-top.76149/
Relevancy 27.52%

Hello,
Just thought that I would try here for some help. I have been having problems with my computer changing the year to 2406 just by itself. Of course when that happens I have all kind of other problems also. Can anyone tell me what is causing this? I have scanned my computer and found no virus.
Thanks,
Brian

A:Year change automatic

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Try changing your cmos battery. That may cure the problem.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/year-change-automatic.56336/
Relevancy 27.52%

I have an Asus CD R W and an NEC DVD R rebooting during CD Automatic write or read W drives Whenever I try to copy an entire cd the system reboots some where in the middle Then if I repeat it works OK Also if I try to write Automatic rebooting during CD read or write an entire cd the system reboots in middle and if I repeat then It works fine In case I copy an entire cd to another CD then system reboots twice and each time I need to restart nero or vcdeasy or any other burning tool to complete process Thereafter there is no problem as long as system is not switched off If it is switched off then I get two reboots while copying a cd to cd In case of burning as a Data disk I do not get these problems May be Automatic rebooting during CD read or write some parameter s are not set initially and memory access error occurs As different tools give same error the generic driver with my copy of XP Pro is defective If so where can I get one Suggestions I will greatly appreciate My system is AMD XP DDR GB Seagate rpm ATA HDD nbsp

A:Automatic rebooting during CD read or write

Perhaps its a power issue? Have a look to see what wattage your PSU is. If its less than 300Watts then i reccomend an upgrade to 400Watts or more.

Hope that helps. Rik.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/automatic-rebooting-during-cd-read-or-write.32187/
Relevancy 27.52%

I have been having an issue with my computer randomly rebooting and giving me minidump errors as a reason I found a post techspot com vb all windows t- -Minidump-errors-causing-restarts dot html and followed these instructions I found there Full Check Disk on your drive Do a full Defrag errors/Automatic restarts Minidump of your drive Is this drive NTFS if not Minidump errors/Automatic restarts type CONVERT C FS NTFS at the command line Running Minidump errors/Automatic restarts Memtest on your Ram Also MS has addressed this error and solution HERE support microsoft dotcom kb So I got to step ran memtest for hours with zero problems and I ll bet this is going to sound lame but since I ran memtest I can t get past my POST screen when trying to boot my pc Can anyone help me figure out where to go from here I would greatly appreciate it Running XP Pro Edit Before I followed the above steps I updated my video driver ran CCleaner and Auslogics defrag as well as spy scans nbsp

A:Minidump errors/Automatic restarts

Believe it or not, 3+hours on MemTest is usually too short. The recommendation is a minimum of 7 passes.

Anyway, are you able to boot into safe mode?

Try running with one stick of memory.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/minidump-errors-automatic-restarts.104860/
Relevancy 27.95%

Hello I have a problem with the automatic updates

I tells me i need to install a net framework 1.1 update. Recently i reformated my computer. I also looked in add/remove programs to try to uninstall it and it could not find it, and i currently use 2.0 what would i do. If i should uninstall it how would i do that?

Thanks

P.S. I keep getting a system restore error message when i got o system restore I says System Restore is unable to protect your computer. Please restart your computer and Start System restore again.

A:Automatic updates

Is system restore available at all, right click My computer, properties then make sure turn off restore is unticked.

Net framework 1.1 check to see if you have it http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/downloads/framework1_1/

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/automatic-updates.58699/
Relevancy 26.66%

I want to partition harddisk and create user in Windows (2000, Xp, 2003) by run a batch file. Then when I click batch file it automatic run like when I setup Windows. Please, help me. Thanks a lot!

A:Automatic partition harddisk and creation users in Windows

WHAT!? dont understand dude

if you want to create an automated Windows install - then look at sysprep

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302577&sd=tech

?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/automatic-partition-harddisk-and-creation-users-in-windows.39225/
Relevancy 38.27%

Hi all, I was wondering if someone could help me out here. Im running XP and my BIOS is Phoenix technologies 6. When I try to boot up I get a blank screen, one long beep and two short beeps from the internal speaker and nothing else. I persisted with trying the startup and it works maybe one in twenty times so I have extremely limited access to my PC. Can someone advise me as to the best way to fix this up?

Thanks for hearing me out, hope someone has some info

PS

A:Phoenix V6 BIOS, cant startup XP!!! help please

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Check out the meaning of your beeps HERE

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/phoenix-v6-bios-cant-startup-xp-help-please.38014/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hey guys I have been having all sorts of problems with my PC since I bought it It s a Packard Bell Imedia running windows media edition less than a year old Recently I had the computer taken back to PC World I know I know Update Internet Explorer problems via Automatic and after three days they phoned me up to tell me that my Automatic Update via Internet Explorer problems computer did in fact have a problem kinda like the reason I brought it in guys They recommended ressetting Automatic Update via Internet Explorer problems it to factory settings which I agreed to and I got the Automatic Update via Internet Explorer problems PC back a few days later with both drives formatted and the original software re-installed So far so good except the original problem is still there but not so bad I am following up some advice I found in these forums before submitting the main problem for analysis However I have now found that I have an additional problem on the machine When I log into Windows update internet explorer does one of two things It either immediately freezes forcing me to Alt Ctrl Del or it gets through the first stage and tells me what updates I need mb at last count It then prepares to install and prepares and prepares and prepares you get the picture When I bring up task manager it says IE is running ok but if I end task I get the standard error message asking me if I want to inform microsoft When I do microsoft kindly tells me that IE has crashed and it has no idea why Lastly before I turned it off for driving me nuts the automatic update feature with the little shield thing used to load up in my system tray but it was always stuck on It wouldn t work either I hope someone can offer some help I really dont want to have to manually uninstall IE and re-install if I dont have to as due to time restrictions and the fact that I am majorly cursed means that it wont be quick or easy I do daily scans for spyware using AdAware and Spybot and weekly virus scans using AVG which has found nothing yet I am using a netgear wireless adapter but I am not sure if that would be causing a problem as before I took the computer in it worked fine Here s hoping someone can help nbsp

A:Automatic Update via Internet Explorer problems

sounds like there's just too much to do/download and there may be issues with
your internet connectivity. Try running the MS UPDATES manually so you can
select the updates for yourself. You may need to run the Genuine Windows Validation,
but when you get to the Updates, click CUSTOM and then select
only the first Critical. Then click Install and monitor your results. Oh, be sure to
run from an account with Admin status.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/automatic-update-via-internet-explorer-problems.36755/
Relevancy 25.8%

Okay when I turn my computer on, it goes through all of the normal stuff, but then it automatically logs on to my main account (which I use, but it's password protected and everything) and all of my scanners did not find any problems.

Also, the volume control icon does not show on the taskbar anymore. It comes back after going into control panel > sounds, speech, and audio devices > sounds and audio devices > uncheck "place volume icon in the taskbar" + click apply > recheck "place volume icon in the taskbar" + click apply

When I go to taskbar properties, the audio icon has "always show"

Any help is greatly appreciated.

A:Automatic Logon to Windows Account / Sound icon on taskbar doesn't show

try deleting the need for a password and immediately reenable it and set a new one. You should NOT automatically bring up the desktop if the password is set.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/automatic-logon-to-windows-account-sound-icon-on-taskbar-doesnt-show.36671/
Relevancy 27.95%

Working in XP-Pro and have to use several url sites with different usernames and passwords. Is there any known way to accomplish this...ie., bringing up various sites and signing-in in the start-up? Thanks!

A:Automatic Start-up in XP-Pro?

I don't advise this but:

You should be able to change your autocomplete settings to prompt you to save usernames and passwords. Then you'll have to log into each site, allow them to save your passwords, and then you should be able to put a shortcut to them in your startup folder on your profile. Then everytime you start, or log into your computer those pages will come up.

There are several reasons, however, that you would not want to store your passwords. First, if anyone else gets on your computer as you they will have access to those sites as you have stored the passwords. Second, storing passwords is generally a bad idea. I would imagine that the file IE stores your information in is encrypted, but not very well.

Also, starting up programs from the startup folder is sometimes system intensive. It may try to open those links while still loading windows. Also it will always attempt to open those sites while regardless of your network connectivity. This can result in a long wait for the pages to time out.

Sorry if I misread your question. Hope this helps.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/automatic-start-up-in-xp-pro.18281/
Relevancy 27.52%

A simple question, like everybody else using Windows, from time to time, I get automatic updates.
I can't find out what the updates are, obviously, Windows think they are necessary, & no doubt they are [?], but it would be nice to know the details of each update as they happen.
We all know how tight-lipped & inaccessable Windows are, but is there a way to find out?

Maurice

A:Windows;-Automatic Updates

Hello Maurice.

If you click start then Windows update and after the page has loaded in the lefthand pane click on view installation history.

You will be able to see what updates have been installed and when.

Hope this helps mate.

Regards Howard

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-automatic-updates.17544/
Relevancy 27.52%

I noticed the other day that the automatic updates tab in system properties (in control pannel) had changed.

It used to look like this:

Now it looks like this:

Sorry the image is small, its the largest one i could find.

I thought that the automatic updates tab was only changed like this when u download SP2, but i have not.
So why has the tab chnaged ?

A:Question on Automatic Updates Tab.

Don't know why it would have changed without getting SP2. If you had it set to automatically dl and install updates you probably have SP2 installed though.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/question-on-automatic-updates-tab.14827/
Relevancy 27.52%

Hello, Lastweek I'm install new software, after that my pc does not  lock automatically when sleeping
 how do I cope with this ? Please help

A:Enable lock screen automatic

Hello,

Set the registry DWORD mentioned here to have its value as 1:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/auto-logon-after-sleep-windows-8-1

Hope this helps, Good luck :)Windows Troubleshooting & How to guides - http://www.kapilarya.com

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/7570a8eb-b318-4164-a845-dbe246f1ce36/enable-lock-screen-automatic?forum=w8itprogeneral
Relevancy 29.24%

Apparently no help from microsoft have inoperable desktop

A:Can not return desk to win 7 but did successfully return lap top dest top is not operable - need he

What has happen ?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-not-return-desk-to-win-7-but-did-successfully-return-lap-top-dest-top-is-not-operable-need-he.218294/
Relevancy 24.08%

I found a unique way to do it on Windows 10 HOME and as far as I searched internet I didn't find any similar instructions:
http://www.smartestcomputing.us.com...e-automatic-updates-enable-updates-on-demand/

A:Windows 10 Home disable automatic updates, enable updates on demand

I got some updates last night and unfortunately my fix didn't work so I'll unpin this topic.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-10-home-disable-automatic-updates-enable-updates-on-demand.217736/
Relevancy 25.8%

Microsoft is set to begin the rollout of Windows 10 on July 29. As the final version of Windows, the Redmond-based company is moving away from big releases and will instead issue incremental updates to keep the OS up to speed.

Read more

A:Automatic updates: Microsoft adds double-edged sword clause in Windows 10 Home

I can always re-install Windows 7 or worse, Linux. Most of the time I install all updates, I don't recall one to date I haven't installed in fact so I don't see this as being an issue.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/automatic-updates-microsoft-adds-double-edged-sword-clause-in-windows-10-home.216626/
Relevancy 27.95%

Not sure when this happen, but I can't set any of the radio buttons for automatic update --

Is there a way to get the radio button back??

A:Can't set Automatic update

Hello fpefpe,

The reason that you can't set automatic updates on your computer is, because it has Windows? XP installed on it, and Microsoft? ceased support for XP a couple of months back.

Solution:
Purchase a Retail version of Windows? 7 or 8.1 from a reputable store, and install it as the Operating System.

You can still use the computer, without upgrading the O/S, providing you do not need Internet access; it will still be able to perform tasks that do not need Internet or Security, because if its not connected to the internet you have no need for these.
(These include, but not limited to: Playing installed games; using Word? etc.)

Hope this answers your query; post back with your thoughts.

Kind Regards,

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cant-set-automatic-update-925970.html
Relevancy 28.38%

Product Name HP ENVY 8.1 print NOT will HP ENVY win in 5530 Operating System Microsoft Windows -bit Is there a proper fix for the below yet This has been going on for months and still no fix I bought this printer days as there were many HP ENVY 5530 will NOT print in win 8.1 good online recommendations but these have been overshadowed by the below New HP ENVY wireless printer bought days ago Will NOT print a single HP ENVY 5530 will NOT print in win 8.1 document in Windows or It's scanning perfectly I can also print from my Android HP eprint App perfectly The printer is showing as connected and working properly as evidenced by printing ability from other device When I go to File gt gt Print the printer always shows up as being offline when it is online and ready I have tried all the below fixes FIX Check if both the laptop and printer are connected to the same wireless Result They are FIX Uninstall the Printer Software Rename the HPBXPSRENDER DLL to HPBXPSRENDER OLD located in C Windows System spool drivers x for bit and C Windows System spool drivers w x for bit Reinstall the Printer Software Result FAIL - THERE IS NO HPBXPSRENDER DLL FIX Unplug everything leave for secs re-plug Result FAIL FIX Turn off Firewall Result FAIL FIX Download Microsoft Fix It Tool - Hotflix Run Program Result FAIL - I get the message quot The Update is not applicable to your computer quot Please Help

A:HP ENVY 5530 will NOT print in win 8.1

Quote:

I bought this printer days ago.... This has been going on for months

How could this be Going on for months when you have only had the printer for 4 days?
First, go to Search and type services.msc and press enter. In the Services windows scroll down to Print Spooler. Double click this. Make sure the Startup type is Automatic, and the services is Started.
Then try these suggestions: HP Single-Function and Multifunction Printers - 'Printer is offline' Message Displays on the Computer and the Printer Will Not Print: Windows 8 | HP?*Support

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/hp-envy-5530-will-not-print-in-win-8-1-a-994794.html
Relevancy 26.66%

Hello my HP Envy has been acting up after I restored it from a restore point The restoring process worked great and did what it was suppose to 15-j000 System.. Quad not Operating Edition boot Touchsmart Envy will HP do I installed a Bluetooth Wireless driver supported by intel it installed like HP Envy 15-j000 Touchsmart Quad Edition will not boot Operating System.. it should have Then it asked me to reboot so I did then I was prompted on a black screen with an error message of The application or operating system couldn't be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors file windows system winload efi error code xc So I brought it onto myself to check other forums to see if there was a solution to this error I tried a bunch of different things HP Envy 15-j000 Touchsmart Quad Edition will not boot Operating System.. and nothing worked So I formatted my hard drive via HP Envy 15-j000 Touchsmart Quad Edition will not boot Operating System.. Command Prompt After that was done I tried reinstalling the operating system Windows That didn't work it said the Operating System on my flashdrive was bad This is false because I've used the same flashdrive for many reinstallations So I tested it on a computer I did not care a whole lot for to make sure it still worked Sure enough it worked I even tried switching out the hard drive with another computer that has Windows already installed on it I get the error message quot Please install an operating system on your hard disk quot As if there was no hard drive attached I'm not sure what to do at this point I have completely lost hope for this very expensive laptop I called HP and they said all I have to do it buy a flashdrive from their store with the recovery OS on it This would make sense but I can't even tap the esc key a bunch of times to even get to the boot menu I can still get to the bios just not the system recovery tab Otherwise it will send me back to the quot Boot device not found quot quot Please install an operating system on your hard disk quot Hard Disk F F System Diagnostics I have tried running the System Diagnostics and they all pass for both hard drives Please help me Thanks in advance

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/hp-envy-15-j000-touchsmart-quad-edition-will-not-boot-operating-system-992425.html
Relevancy 27.52%

didnt really know where to post this, but here goes. about a week ago i bought a new laptop, HP envy 15-k172no. and ive noticed this static sound going on. tested different headphones, and the computer speakers alone aswell. the static gets louder and more pronounced when i change the volume, and for a good 10 seconds after, then it gets lower again(as the computer plays this note when you change the volume, it might have nothing to do with the volume change at all, but with just playing sound, i dont know). its easier to hear when using headphones, for obvious reasons. muting does not help, but lowering the volume to zero makes everything go away....hoping this is a software issue. running windows 8.1 64 bit
anyone here able to help ?

A:[SOLVED] HP envy 15-k172no static noise

Hello bonnerik, to TSF!

Rather than possibly voiding your HP Warranty, my recommendation is to contact HP Customer Support directly regarding this issue.
There should be a sticker on the machine with their telephone number.
Give them a call and post back with the results.
Good Luck with it.

Kind Regards,

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/solved-hp-envy-15-k172no-static-noise-987593.html
Relevancy 27.09%

Quote In past versions of Windows Microsoft has allowed users to configure how they want operating system updates to be delivered Those looking for the ultimate protection configure Windows Update to automatically install them while others may accidentally or not disable the feature or postpone installing any updates for a very very long time I have seen systems that last had updates installed years before I was asked to troubleshoot them With Windows however Microsoft is taking matters into its own hands by making automatic updates mandatory This applies to both home and business users unless 10 Microsoft or whether updates, it you not imposes like Windows automatic the latter group turns to dedicated tools that allow them to have more control over how updates are installed Basically you have Microsoft imposes Windows 10 automatic updates, whether you like it or not to go out of your way to keep Windows out of date The most up Microsoft imposes Windows 10 automatic updates, whether you like it or not to date Windows licensing agreement from build says the following Updates The software periodically checks for system and app updates and downloads and installs them for you You may obtain updates only from Microsoft or authorized sources and Microsoft may Microsoft imposes Windows 10 automatic updates, whether you like it or not need to update your system to provide you with those updates By accepting this agreement you agree to receive these types of automatic updates without any additional notice Microsoft imposes Windows automatic updates whether you like it or not

A:Microsoft imposes Windows 10 automatic updates, whether you like it or not

Here, let's not get too comfortable with MS incompetence. The problem is MUCH bigger than just the automatic updates:

UH OH: Windows 10 will share your Wi-Fi key with your friends' friends ? The Register

Windows 10’s new WiFi Sense shares your WiFi password with Facebook, Outlook, and Skype contacts | ExtremeTech

Quote:

Windows 10?s new WiFi Sense shares your WiFi password with Facebook, Outlook, and Skype contacts

No wonder they are giving it away for free.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f338/microsoft-imposes-windows-10-automatic-updates-whether-you-like-it-or-not-1020266.html
Relevancy 26.66%

From Windows updates to be automatic and mandatory for Home users Ars Technica Quote Windows Update can't be readily disabled in Windows Home and the license terms that all users must agree to allow Microsoft to install updates automatically The Insider Preview releases of Windows didn't include any way to prevent Windows Update from downloading and installing updates but it wasn't clear if this was just some quirk of the previews or the long-term plan Microsoft's previews often have special rules for things like providing automated feedback and hooking up online services and so this could have been part of that Build released to insiders on Wednesday changes that This build is believed to be the release-to-manufacturing Home to for and Windows automatic users 10 mandatory be updates build that OEMs will preinstall on hardware and as such it Windows 10 updates to be automatic and mandatory for Home users contains the finalized settings license text and so on This has immediately raised concerns Today if a Windows user finds that an update breaks something that they need they can generally refuse that update for an extended period This is particularly apparent with Service Packs these are both the most likely updates to break things and the easiest to reject Microsoft continues to deliver security fixes to the operating system both with and without the Service Pack for many months or years after the Service Pack's release For Windows Home users this isn't going to be an option If a future update breaks something essential the user is going to be out of luck

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f338/windows-10-updates-to-be-automatic-and-mandatory-for-home-users-1019690.html
Relevancy 27.52%

This computer has had problems for about a month now after the wrong thing was clicked on in an automatic and program pop-ups Multiple downloading email Multiple pop-ups and program automatic downloading Part Scan result of Farbar Recovery Scan Tool FRST txt x Version - - Ran by staff administrator on REC on - - Running from C Users staff Desktop Loaded Profiles staff Available profiles staff amp Administrator Platform Windows Professional Service Pack X OS Language English United States Internet Explorer Version Default browser Chrome Boot Mode Normal Tutorial for Farbar Recovery Scan Multiple pop-ups and program automatic downloading Tool http www geekstogo com forum topic -frst-tutorial-how-to-use-farbar-recovery-scan-tool Processes Whitelisted If an entry is included in the fixlist the process will be closed The file will not be moved Microsoft Corporation C Program Files Microsoft Security Client MsMpEng exe Apple Inc C Program Files x Bonjour mDNSResponder exe C Users staff AppData Roaming BF B - -F -A F- C E E DA jnsrA E tmp Microsoft Corporation C Program Files Microsoft Office ClientX officeclicktorun exe Sanford L P C Program Files x DYMO DYMO Label Software DymoPnpService exe C Program Files Multiple pop-ups and program automatic downloading Acer Empowering Technology Service ETService exe Acer Incorporated C Program Files x Acer Registration GREGsvc exe Intel R Corporation C Program Files Intel iCLS Client HeciServer exe Intel Corporation C Program Files x Intel Intel R Management Engine Components DAL Jhi service exe Acer Incorporated C Program Files Acer Acer Updater UpdaterService exe C Users staff AppData Roaming BF B - -F -A F- C E E DA nsr F tmpfs Microsoft Corporation C Program Files Microsoft Security Client NisSrv exe Intel Corporation C Program Files x Intel Intel R Rapid Storage Technology IAStorDataMgrSvc exe Intel Corporation C Program Files x Intel Intel R Management Engine Components LMS LMS exe Intel Corporation C Program Files x Intel Intel R Management Engine Components UNS UNS exe Malwarebytes Corporation C Program Files x Malwarebytes Anti-Malware mbam exe Intel Corporation C Windows System hkcmd exe Realtek Semiconductor C Program Files Realtek Audio HDA RAVCpl exe Microsoft Corporation C Program Files Microsoft Security Client msseces exe Sanford L P C Program Files x DYMO DYMO Label Software DymoQuickPrint exe Piriform Ltd C Program Files CCleaner CCleaner exe Intel Corporation C Program Files x Intel Intel R USB eXtensible Host Controller Driver Application iusb mon exe Hewlett-Packard C Program Files x HP HP Software Update hpwuschd exe Intel Corporation C Program Files x Intel Intel R Management Engine Components IMSS PrivacyIconClient exe Microsoft Corp C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WLIDSVC EXE Microsoft Corp C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WLIDSVCM EXE C Users staff AppData Local Temp nsoA E tmp C Users staff AppData Local Temp nskF E tmp Microsoft Corporation C Windows splwow exe BD Inc C Program Files x IGS BasementDuster exe C Users staff AppData Local BF B - -F -A F- C E E DA insoE B tmp C Users staff AppData Local BF B - -F -A F- C E E DA jnsoE exe McAllister Software Systems Inc SERVER- AVImark AVImark exe McAllister Software Systems Inc SERVER- AVImark MPS exe Google Inc C Program Files x Google Chrome Application chrome exe Google Inc C Program Files x Google Chrome Application chrome exe Google Inc C Program Files x Google Chrome Application chrome exe Google Inc C Program Files x Google Chrome Application chrome exe Avast Software s r o C Program Files AVAST Software Avast AvastSvc exe AVAST Software C Program Files AVAST Software Avast ng ngtool exe Avast Software C Program Files AVAST Software Avast ng vbox AvastVBoxSVC exe AVAST Software C Program Files AVAST Software Avast ng ngtool exe Avast Software s r o C Program Files AVAST Software Avast AvastUI exe Avast Software s r o C Program Files AVAST Software Avast AvastU... Read more

A:Multiple pop-ups and program automatic downloading

==================== One Month Modified Files and Folders =======

(If an entry is included in the fixlist, the file\folder will be moved.)

2015-03-19 11:36 - 2014-06-10 06:10 - 00000898 _____ () C:\Windows\Tasks\GoogleUpdateTaskMachineUA.job
2015-03-19 11:12 - 2013-06-27 06:45 - 00000830 _____ () C:\Windows\Tasks\Adobe Flash Player Updater.job
2015-03-19 04:25 - 2014-02-13 07:24 - 01690392 _____ () C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log
2015-03-19 00:08 - 2015-02-06 20:53 - 00004958 _____ () C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft Office 15 Sync Maintenance for REC2-staff Rec2
2015-03-18 16:36 - 2014-06-10 06:10 - 00000894 _____ () C:\Windows\Tasks\GoogleUpdateTaskMachineCore.job
2015-03-18 12:20 - 2014-05-09 16:19 - 00000000 ____D () C:\petportals
2015-03-16 17:12 - 2009-07-13 23:45 - 00027568 ____H () C:\Windows\system32\7B296FB0-376B-497e-B012-9C450E1B7327-5P-1.C7483456-A289-439d-8115-601632D005A0
2015-03-16 17:12 - 2009-07-13 23:45 - 00027568 ____H () C:\Windows\system32\7B296FB0-376B-497e-B012-9C450E1B7327-5P-0.C7483456-A289-439d-8115-601632D005A0
2015-03-16 08:26 - 2014-07-03 13:01 - 00001986 ____H () C:\Users\staff\Documents\Default.rdp
2015-03-11 08:00 - 2014-04-28 09:29 - 00000000 ___RD () C:\Users\staff\Virtual Machines
2015-03-11 08:00 - 2009-07-13 23:57 - 00001547 _____ () C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Windows Media Player.lnk
2015-03-11 06:38 - 2014-06-10 06:11 - 00002187 _____ () C:\Users\Public\Desktop\Google Chrome.lnk
2015-03-11 04:12 - 2009-07-13 22:20 - 00000000 ____D () C:\Windows\rescache
2015-03-11 03:40 - 2009-07-14 00:13 - 00781790 _____ () C:\Windows\system32\PerfStringBackup.INI
2015-03-11 03:35 - 2009-07-14 00:08 - 00000006 ____H () C:\Windows\Tasks\SA.DAT
2015-03-11 03:35 - 2009-07-13 23:51 - 00044551 _____ () C:\Windows\setupact.log
2015-03-11 03:35 - 2009-07-13 23:45 - 00327192 _____ () C:\Windows\system32\FNTCACHE.DAT
2015-03-11 03:29 - 2009-07-13 22:20 - 00000000 ____D () C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Dism
2015-03-11 03:29 - 2009-07-13 22:20 - 00000000 ____D () C:\Windows\system32\Dism
2015-03-10 09:38 - 2010-11-20 22:47 - 00852890 _____ () C:\Windows\PFRO.log
2015-03-09 08:03 - 2014-02-13 07:16 - 00000000 ____D () C:\Windows\NAPP_Dism_Log
2015-03-06 09:41 - 2009-07-13 22:20 - 00000000 ____D () C:\Windows\TAPI
2015-03-03 08:17 - 2010-11-20 22:27 - 00295552 ____N (Microsoft Corporation) C:\Windows\system32\MpSigStub.exe
2015-03-02 14:56 - 2009-07-13 22:20 - 00000000 ____D () C:\Windows\Speech
2015-03-02 14:39 - 2009-07-13 22:20 - 00000000 ___HD () C:\Windows\system32\GroupPolicy
2015-03-02 14:39 - 2009-07-13 22:20 - 00000000 ____D () C:\Windows\SysWOW64\GroupPolicy
2015-03-02 14:27 - 2009-07-13 21:34 - 00000505 _____ () C:\Windows\win.ini
2015-02-26 04:16 - 2009-07-13 22:20 - 00000000 ____D () C:\Windows\tracing
2015-02-25 12:53 - 2014-05-13 15:33 - 00000000 ____D () C:\Users\staff\AppData\Roaming\HpUpdate
2015-02-25 09:09 - 2014-04-28 15:48 - 00000000 ____D () C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15
2015-02-20 04:06 - 2014-02-13 07:29 - 00776166 _____ () C:\Windows\SysWOW64\PerfStringBackup.INI

==================== Files in the root of some directories =======

2014-05-01 12:37 - 2014-05-01 12:37 - 0037192 __RSH () C:\Program Files (x86)\DLS8Uninstall.log
2015-03-02 14:27 - 2015-03-02 14:27 - 0000045 _____ () C:\Users\staff\AppData\Roaming\WB.CFG
2014-05-13 15:32 - 2014-05-13 15:32 - 0000057 _____ () C:\ProgramData\Ament.ini

Some content of TEMP:
====================
C:\Users\staff\AppData\Local\Temp\Gre131A.exe
C:\Users\staff\AppData\Local\Temp\GreCA00.exe
C:\Users\staff\AppData\Local\Temp\optprosetup.exe
C:\Users\staff\AppData\Local\Temp\qEf2961.exe
C:\Users\staff\AppData\Local\Temp\qEf90C5.exe
C:\Users\staff\AppData\Local\Temp\random.exe
C:\Users\staff\AppData\Local\Temp\SpOrder.dll
C:\Users\staff\AppData\Local\Temp\Uninstall.exe
C:\Users\staff\AppData\Local\Temp\UUC6105.exe
C:\Users\staff\AppData\Local\Temp\UUCBD52.exe
C:\Users\staff\AppData\Local\Temp\vcredist_x64.exe
====================... Read more

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/multiple-pop-ups-and-program-automatic-downloading.210461/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hi there I've never posted on a forum before but I FINALLY found a great fix to a problem that's been bugging me so here goes The Problem I've got an Acer Aspire TimelineX TG with Catalyst switchable graphics Radeon M My problem was that the graphics cards always switched over when I plugged in or unplugged the power cord -which was SUPER annoying as it sometimes crashed my computer when I was playing a game for instance when automatic making graphics them instead Switchable - of manual a housemate accidentally unplugged my laptop A few Switchable graphics - making them manual instead of automatic things to note For some weird reason there is no option in my Switchable graphics - making them manual instead of automatic catalyst control centre for switchable graphics to quot Automatically select power saving GPU when on battery quot This option does not exist for me despite having latest drivers I didn't want a permanent BIOS quot fix quot that locked my computer into only using the Radeon card over the intel one I like the switchable graphics feature I just want to choose WHEN it switches I didn't want to uninstall Catalyst altogether THE FIX Press the windows key r or simply hit start and type in the search box type quot services msc quot Find quot AMD External Events Utility quot in the list of services Right click it and select quot stop quot As far as I'm aware this effectively stops your computer talking with Catalyst control center and thus switching over cards automatically Your computer is then quot locked quot into whatever graphics card you were using at the time ie Radeon or Intel and should not switch between them when you plug in or unplug your power cord Now if you want to switch over your graphics card go back to services and start the AMD External Events Utility Then you'll be able to switch over graphics cards as per normal And you can also lock in your new choice if you wish by stopping it communicating again Pretty sure you can also set the service quot start up type quot to automatic Begins when you start your computer Manual or Disabled This means you can have the computer using the Intel graphics by default whenever you use your computer and then you can occasionally beef it up when you want to play a game or do video processing or whatever Hope this works for someone It's been a total Godsend for me Regards Gilbert Walker Switchable Graphics Windows manual stop switching automatically annoying TG Radeon m Catalyst Control Centre No option Automatically select power saving GPU when on battery

http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/378827-switchable-graphics-making-them-manual-instead-automatic.html
Relevancy 26.66%

A couple of questions about Backups I have a nd internal hard drive which I have been using as a backup But I decided that I ought to get some external backups as well In I bought an external WD Drive GB which says it has GB available space to use There is now GB left free Windows refused to do automatic backups so I dragged and dropped But I had problems with it so put it aside I had another go in and dragged the HD's on missing automatic backup external space Questions and on docs and photos onto it But it came up drive full when there should have been a Questions on automatic backup and missing space on external HD's lot of space still left Questions on automatic backup and missing space on external HD's I gave up on it Now I am looking at it again and found the following July Folder WindowsImageBackup which has a Backup folder with VHD files one of mb and one of GB I found that VHD is Virtual PC which is no help can t find a program to open them Also XML files consisting of kb up to mb They want to connect to the internet but it won t connect Other folders are March modified Sept Document folder - GB March modified Sept Pictures folder - B All accessible as far as I can see So GB GB GB some mb and kb appx GB GB free GB GB - Gb GB missing Question So any idea where the GB missing space has gone And what are the VHD files I can t remember what I did to create a image backup in as it didn t seem to have worked at the time I have just backed up my photos from Drive C to a Buffalo GB Drive dragging and dropping which seems to have gone ok And I can see and access the files Also I have just bought a WD Elements TB drive which has GB usable space Windows recognised this and agreed to do an automatic backup So I backed up Photos and videos only After hrs I stopped the backup at am and continued it the next day and it finished it after about hrs BUT I can t see the files It just asks if I want to restore the files or if I press Manage Space it gives a date and asks if I want to delete it Question Is this normal for automatic backups that you can t see the files and can only replace the whole lot and I have to trust that they are there and accessible Any preferences as to which external drives are the best WD Buffalo Seagate They all seem to have problems I am looking to buy another to do another backup of my photos and one to do a System Image Backup Thanks for any help and information

A:Questions on automatic backup and missing space on external HD's

First, backing up to an internal drive is a really bad idea. If your computer gets infected with malware, such as one of those that locks all your data until you pay a ransom, you will not be able to access your backup. Or a virus could destroy all your data, including your backup. A hardware malfunction, such as a PSU shorting out and frying everything inside, could also takeout all your data, including the backup drive.

Backups should be kept external and physically connected to your computer only when updating the backup. It isn't as convenient as automatic backups but it's much safer. One way to ensure data is backed up as quickly as possible is to use a good, paid cloud backup service (the free ones have been known to disappear with little or no warning and are rarely secure), such as Carbonite, CrashPlan, or Backblaze, in addition to your external backups. Those work in the background, periodically uploading new and changed data to the service's servers.

For data to be reasonably safe, it should be kept in three physically different places, such as on the computer, on an onsite backup, and on an offsite backup. No matter what medium you have your data on, it is subject to failure, including ones used for backup, hence the need for more than one backup. One of the cloud backup services mentioned earlier can be used as an offsite backup although I prefer to use them to supplement a physical offsite backup.

There are several ways to make backups. The most common are imaging, cloning, folder/file syncing, and just manually dragging or copy/pasting.

Manually copy/pasting or dragging is inefficient and is highly subject to human error. It should only be considered if one has so little data to backup, it could fit onto a small USB flash drives (btw, flash drives aren't all that reliable so extra ones should be kept in case one or more quietly fails). Obviously, this shouldn't be an option for you.

System files (specifically, OS and programs) can't be simply copied and pasted to another drive. The most common ways to back them up is imaging and cloning. Imaging is like taking a photo of your system drive or partitions. The image would be the equivalent of a photo negative. The image would be used to "print" the information in it to restore the original drive or partition or to transfer it to another drive or partition the same as a photo negative is used to make a print. Imaging is the best way to backup System files since images normally get compressed a bit and one can keep multiple images on a single backup drive. The downsides of imaging include not being able to directly access individual files and folders in the image (although some imaging programs allow one to mount an image to access them) and imaging is an inefficient method of backing up data due to the resulting larger size of the image and the amount of time it takes to make an image since each image has to include all the data being backed up in each image. Some imaging programs use incremental or differential imaging to reduce the size of images after the initial image and reduce the time required to make them. However, should any one of the set of images get lost or corrupted, the entire set will be lost or only partially recoverable. It's much safer to make full images.

To facilitate imaging System files, they should be kept on their own drive or partitions, segregated from data files.

Windows Backup and Macrium Reflect Free (here is a good tutorial on how to use Macrium Reflect) are examples of imaging programs. I recommend the latter.

Cloning can be used for backups but is intended for making a duplicate of a drive or partition. It is too inefficient to use for backing up data and should be used only to move the contents of a drive to another drive, such as when upgrading a drive to a newer one. Imaging can be used for that but one would require additional steps (and time) and an intermediary drive to temporarily store the image where... Read more

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/378617-questions-automatic-backup-missing-space-external-hds.html
Relevancy 27.52%

As the title suggests would anyone know of a programme that would automatically update data onto an external hard-drive - whenever you plug the USB into your computer either laptop/PC/Apple device....

Thanks

Lockeyp

A:External automatic update progammes??

I think you will find that the option to automatically start a program when you insert a USB drive has been removed from Windows for security reasons ( and rightly so in my opinion)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-automatic-update-progammes.1152419/
Relevancy 34.4%

When I turn on my computer in Windows 7 I get this screen. and have to push F-1 to get to the desk top.
1.0.10 How do I correct this problem

Main processor AMD Sempron Processor LE 1300
Memory Testing 2030592 OK
64 shared memory(Installed Memory 2097152K
Sata 0 WDC WD1600AAJS-75PSAO 05.06H05
Sata 1 PBDS DVD/RW DH 16W1S2D14
Sata 2 None
Sata 3 None
Diskette drive O seek failure
Strike F1 to reboot
F2 for setup utility
4-07-2008
I had already went to System Properties then to Start and Recovery and time to display list of operations system and set it to zero and it didn't work so it must be set in the Bios

A:Have to push F-1 to get to desk top screen

Main processor AMD Sempron Processor LE 1300
Installed Memory 2097152KClick to expand...

Do the following in that computer:

Download and save the TSG System Information Utility (SysInfo.exe) to the desktop.

After it's been downloaded and saved, double-click it to run it.

Information about your computer will appear.

Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the ENTIRE text here.

-------------------------------------------------------

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/have-to-push-f-1-to-get-to-desk-top-screen.1154332/
Relevancy 27.52%

I just turned automatic updates completely off, but I don't want to leave it that way. The only way I'm willing to turn it back on (to check for updates and I decided to download or not) is if I can get this 100% CPU issue fixed. The second I turned automatic updates off the cpu went down to 1%.

Anyway, I checked and this page: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3058515 says I am supposed to be able to download it from this page: https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/MS15-056 but I cannot find any link to download a file on there. Also, if automatic updates couldn't do it, what's to say it will download manually ok?

A:100% CPU b/c automatic update won't udate CSU for IE 8

Why are you running IE 8? With Windows 7, you should be running IE 11. Support for IE 8 ends in January so you won't be getting any patches.
And I suspect you will not be able to update directly from v 8 to v 11
This post from April shows there was a problem
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Micr...es-Says-a-Fix-Is-Being-Developed-479026.shtml

You might be able to download IE 9 here
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/internet-explorer-9-details.aspx
or here
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/microsoft_internet_explorer_9.html

Then IE 10
http://filehippo.com/download_internet_explorer_windows_7/14434/

looks like filehippo also has 9.

Try updating your browser from 8 to 9 first.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/100-cpu-b-c-automatic-update-wont-udate-csu-for-ie-8.1153959/
Relevancy 28.38%

I own an HP Envy TouchSmart Notebook PC on Envy won't HP 15 TouchSmart turn product number E K UA ABA and Model -j cl I had a couple plastic screw inserts that hold the right side hinge to the top cover of the laptop break due to very high strength of the HP Envy TouchSmart 15 won't turn on hinges which caused the top cover of the laptop to pry apart from the base enclosure when opened a problem many owners of this laptop model have had Since I was out of warranty I ordered a replacement on Ebay using the correct part number - HP Envy TouchSmart 15 won't turn on and disassembled my laptop to make the repairs and loosen the hinges while I was at it I swapped out all parts being careful to note where and how plugs and ribbons were connected so I could put it back together correctly Now after having it reassembled it will not turn on I get a white LED light to turn on when I plug in the power cord AC adapter should be amber orange in color to signify it is charging the battery but no other sounds lights or signs of life I have attempted to remove the battery and power cord pressed the power button for - seconds to drain power and do a reset and then try to power up with plugging in the power cord but it won t turn on I also tried to power up by removing one part at a time including the hard drive two RAM sticks and wireless card but still not able to turn on Do you have any ideas for what may be wrong or steps I can take to troubleshoot Is this possible a mother board issue Everything was working fine before embarking on this repair Link to maintenance and service guide http h www hp com ctg Manual c

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/588177/hp-envy-touchsmart-15-wont-turn-on/
Relevancy 26.66%

I just upgraded windows 8.1 to windows 10, everything works fine, except monitor does not go to standby by after 15 minutes of idle. I checked power settings, change it, back, forward, nothing, same thing.
also autoplay does not work, i tried turn on, off, on autoplay, registry tweak, policy tweak, still no luck.
USB does appear in action center but clicking it does nothing.
any ideas

A:Automatic sleep mode ant auto play not working after upgrade

For sleep 

Make sure the Network Adapter isn't waking the computer. Go to Device Manager>expand network Adapter>Right click Properties on your interface card>Go to Power Management>Uncheck "allow this device to wake computer" and hit ok. it should let the monitor go to sleep.

On Autoplay control panel there is a Reset to Defaults did you try that.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/584712/automatic-sleep-mode-ant-auto-play-not-working-after-upgrade/
Relevancy 27.52%

Hi all I am am having a major issue with my laptop It is a Toshiba satellite C D-S running windows It previously was updated to but I factory resettled it for reasons unrelated to this issue and prefer windows It has an AMD processor though I don't know exactly what one repair loop in help stuck Please automatic and gb of ram I've had the computer a year and a half So I previously had the game The Sims on this computer It went on the laptop with no issue on windows when I first installed Please help stuck in automatic repair loop it When I factory reset it a month and a half ago I lost the game I was was lucky enough to find the entire line of TS expansion packs for crazy cheap brought them home and tried to install it Something went wrong with the installation I'm not exactly sure what I have since read that many experience issues with comparability with TS but have found suggestions to install it in the future If I can fix my computer that is The issue is Immediately after install laptop was acting weird the game wasn't showing up and so I went to start and restarted the computer It has never booted back up The toshiba screen comes up with the loading circle then it quickly flashes a light blue screen It's so brief I am not sure what it says I think it says the computer encountered a problem and that it will restart for me There's also a large sad face It then goes back to the Toshiba loading circle page briefly and says preparing automatic repair and then to a black screen then light blue sad face screen Toshiba load screen and back to all black This cycle happens over and over in - minute intervals I have tried all of the following Unplugging the laptop amp removing battery waiting minutes and then putting them back in Didnt work Unplugging and letting battery drain itself Didn't work Pressing F or shift F Didn't work Using the system restore dvds I created a month and a half ago Didn't work Going into bios and changing the boot menu thing to make the ODD boot first Didn't work On two occasions I opened the cd drive after the loop had gone on for a while right after getting the light blue frowny face screen I got a light blue screen with a different message and an error code It basically stated there was a recovery error and it gave me the options to try again and two more If nothing was selected the computer shut off after about - seconds I can hear the cd drive working but nothing ever actually happens All i have are these system restore discs I don't have a windows cd or proof of purchase or serial number I'm not sure if it even came with one Heck I can't even find my manual for the computer ive moved twice since owning this computer it could be anywhere Im not very tech savvy when it comes to hardware so you'll need to explain like I'm Please help

A:Please help stuck in automatic repair loop

I don't know computers well either, but, I just ran into an issue when trying to use the Recovery Partition.  If it goes into a loop - like I think what you are saying - you will have to boot up with a partition tool editor.  Then Un-mark the Recovery:Drive as "Active" as it is trying to boot from the Recovery Partition which isn't working for some reason.  Then Mark the C:Drive as active.  This might not help you either if something else is wrong with the 8.1 install.  I don't think you should have tried to revert to the 8 this way, and, this is just an idea of what might be wrong.  So wait to get some better help, but you can always google it and get a little knowledge until then.  

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/584442/please-help-stuck-in-automatic-repair-loop/
Relevancy 33.97%

I've recently upgraded to windows 10. It was a total disaster for me and I could not get on line after it was all said and done. I couldn't roll back to windows 7 either so wound up formatting my hard drive and reinstalled Windows 7
Since then if I leave my desktop for a few minutes it goes to sleep leaving just the windows logo on the screen. I can move and see my mouse but no matter what I do it won't wake up. I have it set to "not" go to sleep. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks

A:Desk top won't wake up ... It's told not to go to sleep

Here is a snip of my screen

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/587130/desk-top-wont-wake-up-its-told-not-to-go-to-sleep/
Relevancy 33.54%

Greetings My first post is in hopes that it can halt a pending hr road trip to diagnose my father's laptop problem He's stuck on XP as the last operating system I'll ever need damnit and at I desktop desk: mess is help AARP a father's don't doubt him His laptop is a core duo style Dell of unknown description and I can only assume at this point that it's sp For the past couple weeks he's been dealing with the loss of his normal desktop which is a full screen high res shot of one WWII vintage aircraft or another as wall paper That desktop image is liberally populated with program icons and short cuts to various web sites and what AARP help desk: father's desktop is a mess not It's messy Wednesday he calls me and indicates that he lost his homepage image actually his wallpaper and it's been replaced by what you see in the attached image Apparently at that time he was unable to move any icons into the left side blue area with the repeating Flash logo and the small tiled graphics Last night he reports that the Flash logod are now gone as are the small AARP help desk: father's desktop is a mess tiled images but the white field is still bugging him He can place icons anywhere again Aparently he still has control of things browser email etc it's just that the icons are really messed up and his base image is gone On the phone I walked him through an attempt to set his desktop AARP help desk: father's desktop is a mess display to none hoping to clear some randomly created wallpaper image that somehow got saved No luck Given it's the Holidays and I've got nothing else cooking I'm going to visit I'm going to take with me an old version of KNOPPIX which is live bootable and it might give me some insight as to wheather or not it's an OS thing or video hardware related that's all I got I leave at am cst and will check back periodically in hopes that someone smarter than me can provide assistance Many thanks in advance DP

A:AARP help desk: father's desktop is a mess

G'day DPaulku, and Welcome to BC !

Any chance you can talk him through a system restore ??

I guess a backup would be out of the question...?.....

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/581687/aarp-help-desk-fathers-desktop-is-a-mess/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hi,
Whenever i plugged in headphones before on computer,
there came up a box where it said '' choose as speaker,headphone,etc ''
but now it doesn't come up anymore. I even tried
pressing '' Activate automatic pop-up window when audio device has connected ''
But still nothing happens!? what is wrong!? i would love to use this feature again..
THANKS

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/583011/re-enable-pop-up-box-when-plugging-in-headphones-activate-automatic-pop-up/
Relevancy 33.54%

Hello all !

A couple of days ago my speakers and headphones stopped working when I plug them into my laptop.

The speakers are desktop Logtech. I only hear a buzzing noise when I plug them in.

When I plug the headphones in, there is complete silence.

Perhaps I clicked on something I should not have ?

Toshiba laptop. Microsoft 7 64 bit

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Dennis

A:Desk Top Speakers And Headphones Quit Working

Do you have any yellow check marks in device manager?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/567826/desk-top-speakers-and-headphones-quit-working/
Relevancy 33.97%

Hi everyone,

I am starting with a new company that does not currently have a help desk ticketing/management system in place. I have been asked to do some research on some systems and help nail down a solution.   I have used various systems in my previous positions.   I am looking for suggestions and thoughts on ticketing systems.    Of course free (like spiceworks) has my attention, because it's free if hosted internally otherwise rather cheap to host in their environment/cloud.  

Thanks!

Dan

A:Suggestions for Help Desk ticketing software

Hi Dan,

We use Request Tracker by Best Practical. https://www.bestpractical.com/rt/

I'm new to it, but everyone here says they like it more than Spiceworks.

Scott

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576673/suggestions-for-help-desk-ticketing-software/