Windows Support Forum

Unable to boot into windows after installing Ubuntu on partition

Q: Unable to boot into windows after installing Ubuntu on partition

I installed Ubuntu 14.04 on my Windows 10 laptop, I am able to boot into Ubuntu and it runs normally, but if I try boot into windows I get this message: selected boot device failed, press any key to reboot the system.
I think I messed up during the partition process, I had already installed Ubuntu but wanted a fresh install. During the install process I just selected the option to install over my current Ubuntu installation and didn't manually set any partition settings.
Please advise!

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/t/19681870
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Unable to boot into windows after installing Ubuntu on partition

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 97.18%

Windows 7 seems to be located in my /dev/sda1 partition. However, ever since I installed Ubuntu (not using wubi) my fully encrypted HDD/partition will not prompt me with the password but instead boots straight to ubuntu. Ubuntu does not even recognize my windows partition. More interestingly, I did a boot repair and these are the results that show:

Ubuntu Pastebin

When I use my windows 7 DVD to repair my system it doesn't even show windows 7 is installed. Does anyone know how to fix this issue? Do I need to use my encryption rescue disk? I have been trying everything and have not had much success. Thanks!

A:Encrypted Windows 7 partition will not boot after installing Ubuntu.

What encryption did you use? It sounds like GRUB overwrote the encrypted Windows MBR??? Im not sure it can be recovered......I would normally suggest this:

MBR - Restore Windows 7 Master Boot Record

But the encryption is the unknown here.......you might have to take some risks and experiment.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/293726-encrypted-windows-7-partition-will-not-boot-after-installing-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 95.89%

I previously had windows operating system For some use I also needed the ubuntu operating system I have the ubuntu bit on a cd In order to use the new operating system to Unable after windows installing ubuntu boot I had the need for a new drive But I've got a Hewlett Packard laptop so in order to create a new drive for installing ubuntu Unable to boot windows after installing ubuntu I deleted the SYSTEMS drive as that was the possible solution given online After doing this I completed installing the ubuntu OS but now my windows OS is not to be seen when booting I get possible options Ubuntu Windows Recovery option Now in order to open the windows OS I dont have an option so I tried the windows recovery option and I restored it to a previous date and that was successfully completed But my point is that I'm still unable to switch to windows OS need some help in this regard cause I dont want to get stuck with Ubuntu all the time

A:Unable to boot windows after installing ubuntu

When you deleted the Windows system partition, you deleted your Windows bootmgr. Now you have to set your Windows 7 partition as active and then run Startup Repair 3 times.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/295962-unable-boot-windows-after-installing-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 94.6%

Getting "Operating system not found" message right after I press the power button. This happened right after I did a full install of Ubuntu to a usb drive. Have a Sony Vaio S Series laptop. The Assist button that is supposed to boot from a recovery partition on the internal drive produces the same error. Tried resetting the BIOS to default settings but didn't help (the default is UEFI). There are no hardware issues as I can run Ubuntu and see all the drives. Ran an Ubuntu Boot Repair utility. Here is a summary report output: Ubuntu Pastebin. Any suggestions?

A:Unable to boot into Windows after installing Ubuntu on usb drive

Run Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times.

Everything else that can be done is here for Troubleshooting Windows 7 Failure to Start

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/368283-unable-boot-into-windows-after-installing-ubuntu-usb-drive.html
Relevancy 91.16%

Hello I have a Hp Pavillion dm laptop running Ubuntu and now want to install Windows bit and make the laprop dual booted I burnt the Windows installation iso file onto a pen drive and booted from it It runs till the dialog box quot where do you want to install Windows quot It shows the following partitions on my Hard Drive I am also attaching a screenshot of output of GParted from my Ubuntu It shows GB as unknwon file system and thus I would like to install Windows on to this partition I guess in the windows installation setup it shows GB as System partition and that is the same partition that is pointed to by Gparted However when I click on quot Next quot when trying to install Windows it says Setup was unable to create a new partition or locate an existing system partition See the Setup log files for more information I have no idea new Ubuntu Installing partition" after create "Setup to Windows unable a was system why this error is Installing Windows after Ubuntu "Setup was unable to create a new system partition" being thrown Could someone please help me out

A:Installing Windows after Ubuntu "Setup was unable to create a new system partition"

Hi, see if the post here on installing helps dual boot - How can I install Windows after I've installed Ubuntu? - Ask Ubuntu scroll down a bit on the page.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/installing-windows-after-ubuntu-setup-was-unable-to-create-a-new-system-partition-1016354.html
Relevancy 82.56%

Hello First post and I wish it was under better circumstances I think I've put this in the wrong section Sorry I have managed to wipe my Windows partition while installing the latest release of Ubuntu v I've had my HDD split in two with both Windows updated to Update and Ubuntu and dual-booted between them for over a year During the Ubunut install it informed me that I had a previous version of Ubuntu and would I like to wipe the partition that it occupied and install cleanly I chose that It also offered a chance to use free space Now why I accepted that I don't know but the definition of free space seems to include any other partitions on the drive Next? installing Windows Ubuntu. partition while Wiped and didn't warn of this either The upshot is that I now have a TB drive with no Windows on it I've lost all my email pics etc etc I tried using my rescue DVD that I created from within Windows and at I am asked to insert the second disc I don't have a second disk I had to Wiped Windows partition while installing Ubuntu. Next? force my laptop to power down in order to do anything In order to get online I ended up installing Ubuntu again and it definitely shows no Windows partition I've already ordered a retail copy of Windows and I'm hoping that I can install this with no issues on what is effectively a clean drive Am I correct in that assumption Is there anything else I can try that might rescue it I have a Dell Inspiron r SE that is out of warranty so no support from Dell I'm in the UK too if that helps Thank you very very much in advance

A:Wiped Windows partition while installing Ubuntu. Next?

try i care data recovery it has a 80% chance to recover your file i recommend stellar too but prefer i care over it

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/44729-wiped-windows-partition-while-installing-ubuntu-next.html
Relevancy 81.7%

So the other day I decided that I wanted to try dual-booting Ubuntu on my HP Pavilion dv - cl Entertainment Notebook that already had Windows Home Premium bit installed I shrank the main biggest partition by Gigs and then installed Ubuntu on that Gigs of unallocated space All worked fine except when I tried to boot Windows from the grub menu it would come up to the beginning Windows animation and then it would crash So I downloaded a Windows Recovery CD and tried a few of the tools there I did not create a system recover image prior to my lost 7 can How after I Windows partition Ubuntu? installing recover my troubles so I could not recover the easy way After that I tried the How can I recover my lost Windows 7 partition after installing Ubuntu? Startup Repair tool which did not work I read somewhere to try that Startup Repair tool or times which I did The third time it seemed to freeze it was quot working quot for about hours at which point I decided that it was enough and shut down the PC That was a mistake From that point forward I still could not boot into Windows but also every time I tried to boot into Ubuntu I had to perform a disk check which always failed After trying that a few times I had had enough yet again and decided to just reinstall Ubuntu The install seemed to work fine but once I rebooted I could not boot into Ubuntu or Windows No matter what option I select from the grub menu or if I push F to go into recovery partition it gives me an error that says quot Error No such partition quot and dumps me into a grub rescue prompt After releasing multiple bouts of turrets I tried booting from my Ubuntu LiveUSB again same one I installed Ubuntu with twice and ran Gparted to look at my partitions It only showed me the one Gig partition and said the remaining Gigs were unallocated So now I'm stuck with no bootable operating system on my HD and to top it off HP just sent me their quot official quot recovery disks that are trying to reformat my HD and erase all my data I know there has to be a way to restore my partitions and replace the grub bootloader with the Windows bootloader At this point I don't care about Ubuntu at all All of my data was on the Windows partition which I cannot access from Ubuntu to grab it Someone please help I can provide any information that you need but remember that I can only do so via either BIOS or by booting Ubuntu from the LiveUSB I cannot access Windows I also do not have a Windows install disk as this was a refurbished HP laptop that I bought from Costco -Rob Pennington

A:How can I recover my lost Windows 7 partition after installing Ubuntu?

Try TestDisk Download - CGSecurity (free) and see if it can find and recover your lost partition.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/165348-how-can-i-recover-my-lost-windows-7-partition-after-installing-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 78.26%

Hi I have a small query about this whole partitioning business I'm trying to set up a partition so I can dual-boot Windows and Ubuntu My computer came with a Dell Recovery partition and an OEM partition as well as the main C drive which are all primaries I've created a new logical drive which I've called Z with the idea being to install the Linux OS in that Ubuntu to dual-boot 7 a partition Windows up and Set chunk of the drive My first question First up I've formatted it as quot exFAT quot - is this the same as FAT Next question can I divide this 'Z' into smaller chunks with different formats or do they all have to be the same format I was hoping to be able to format a small bit of the drive into a Linux filesystem so that both OSs can be kept entirely separate from each other but leave the bulk of it as FAT so that I can see my files with both Set up a partition to dual-boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu OSs If this is not possible what would be the best way to achieve the desired result Thanks for any help McG

A:Set up a partition to dual-boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu

Hi McG, welcome to the forums.
I can't really answer your questions about Ubuntu, but I recommend you start by checking this thread at the Ubuntu forum. I would save it since you might come into those problems when trying to install Ubuntu in your disc.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/45429-set-up-partition-dual-boot-windows-7-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 78.26%

I have windows 7 home premium X64. Partitioned a section of the drive to install xp home. Now computer will not boot to either OS. Goes to BSOD page. Tried reinstalling the xp os, but it constantly goes to the BSOD. Have I no hope in fixing this problem or of seeing my beloved windows 7 again? If you help me. I promise I will never try something like this again. No game is worth this trouble.

A:Tried installing xp on partition. Now BSOD and unable to boot to OS'S

Information
Boot up using the Startup Repair CD or Windows 7 DVD. (not the OEM manufacturer's Recovery Disk) If you have a Netbook, you will need a CD/DVD drive.
NOTE: Make sure no USB drives are plugged in.
Do not use a USB Pendrive for Startup Repair.
startup repair disc-create

Try this:
Do a Strartup Repair:
Startup Repair
Note: You may need to do startup repair 3 to 4 times.
Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times

For better help with problems, Can you post your specs.
Filling out System Specs
System Info - See Your System Specs

Dont Know What Hardware You Have..??
VistaForums SysInfo Tool - Vista Forums

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/186242-tried-installing-xp-partition-now-bsod-unable-boot-oss.html
Relevancy 77.83%

Following very carefully I thought wiping to after Windows Can't Ubuntu partition! Solved: boot an old thread on unloading Ubuntu to revert to Win XP Pro I deleted the Ubuntu partition with Easeus Partition Mastri then resized my XP partition to use the extra space Then intended to boot from my Win XP CD to run fixmbr I thought from the old thread that that would fix the Master Boot Record and that I would then be up and running in Windows again But my computer now won t boot from the XP CD I get consecutive messages GRUB Loading stage GRUB loading please wait Error I can still boot from the Easeus Partition Master which shows my disk like this Size Used Unused Status FAT Mb M Mb None Primary NTFS Gb Gb Gb Active Primary Unallocated Gb Bytes Gb None Logical FAT Gb Gb Mb None Primary Unallocated Mb Bytes Mb None Logical I m right out of my depth here and would be really really grateful for some Solved: Can't boot to Windows after wiping Ubuntu partition! help What can I do now Dell Dimension Ghz Gb RAM Windows XP Pro SP nbsp

A:Solved: Can't boot to Windows after wiping Ubuntu partition!

Clean your XP CD with alcohol, rubbing from the center to the outside. Let it dry and try booting again. If no joy, borrow an XP CD from a friend if possible. If the easeus CD boots, the XP should. If must be dirty or scratched.

Another way, use the XP setup floppy set from MS to boot to the RC.

Yet another way, Get a Quick Boot CD. It will substitute for your HD MBR and boot files and allow booting Windows.

http://webpages.charter.net/surferdude/SDhome1.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-cant-boot-to-windows-after-wiping-ubuntu-partition.941625/
Relevancy 77.83%

Hello I haven't been using Ubuntu as much as I'd like to so about an hour I can't Partition to boot I Windows Ubuntu after formating/deleting ago I opened up Partition Magic selected my Ubuntu partition and formated it as NTFS then on reboot to preform the operation it formatted then reboot and I got GRUB error I can't boot to Windows XP Home even though when I I can't boot to Windows after formating/deleting Ubuntu Partition look at the Live CD through linux the parition is there I've tried putting in my XP disc and doing fixmbr but I can't boot to I can't boot to Windows after formating/deleting Ubuntu Partition the I can't boot to Windows after formating/deleting Ubuntu Partition CD it'll boot to the Linux Live CD but not XP On the live CD I've used GParted to make XP the ONLY Parition and I've even tried reinstalling Ubuntu but I can't I get an error when I try to resize the windows partition and use the freed space for Ubuntu Did I just totally nuke my harddrive Will I have to buy a new Hard Drive I feel so stupid I've used Parition Magic at work many times guess I just forgot something Can anyone help me get XP back up and running

A:I can't boot to Windows after formating/deleting Ubuntu Partition

Well, I've fixed it! I called up a friend and he walked me through...I still feel pretty dumb. lol

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/i-cant-boot-to-windows-after-formating-deleting-ubuntu-partition-283895.html
Relevancy 76.97%

After deleting the partition on which Ubuntu was installed and enlarging the windows partition to fill the old space at the same time( stupid I know), I am unable to boot to Windows 7. All I see is a command line message that says Unknown File System and on the next line says Grub Rescue> with the option to input commands. After looking at this forum and Ubuntu forums I'm still unable to resolve the issue. I would like to be able to boot into windows 7.

A:Unable to boot Windows 7 after unistalling Ubuntu Dual boot

You'll have to restore your Master Boot Record. See this tutorial:

MBR - Restore Windows 7 Master Boot Record

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/132252-unable-boot-windows-7-after-unistalling-ubuntu-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 76.97%

Hello,
i have a Packard Bell Dot S2 Netbook. When i bought it, i made 2 partitions for Windows 7 and Ubuntu. Then I wanted to remove Ubuntu, so i deleted his partition. Now, when i restart, i read only "Grub rescue >".
I read in this forum that i should reinstall Windows 7 using the CD, but my netbook can't read CDs!
I can use another pc with Windows 7....can i use it to fix the problem?
Thanks

A:Removing Ubuntu partition from Netbook, Windows 7 doesn't boot.

Welcome to Seven Forums.

You can create a w7 installer on a USB flash drive and reinstall with that. For how see here: Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool

Download the iso file for your w7 version from here, Dell Community Sometime the iso will not work the first time and requires a re-download.

Here is a tutorial with all the above info. USB Windows 7 Installation Key Drive - Create

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/274876-removing-ubuntu-partition-netbook-windows-7-doesnt-boot.html
Relevancy 76.97%

I was running on my laptop a vista (OEM install from HP) which was installed over 2 partitions, one for the OS and another "recovery" partition. When installed windows 7, I shrank the vista partition and installed windows 7 onto the free space, leaving the recovery partition, so I ended up with vista, win7, HP recovery partition, which worked fine.

I just installed ubuntu 10.04 over windows vista, and the menu recognizes

Quote:
windows vista (loader) (on /dev/sda3)

which is the recovery partition, and when I select that it goes to the menu for vista to repair an installation.

I have 2 questions:
1: how can I get windows 7 working again? (reinstall bootloader?)
2: to get windows 7 working again should I delete the HP Recovery partition? since windows 7 doesnt make any use of it...

Many thanks!

A:cannot boot windows 7 after installing ubuntu!

Quote: Originally Posted by civint

I was running on my laptop a vista (OEM install from HP) which was installed over 2 partitions, one for the OS and another "recovery" partition. When installed windows 7, I shrank the vista partition and installed windows 7 onto the free space, leaving the recovery partition, so I ended up with vista, win7, HP recovery partition, which worked fine.

I just installed ubuntu 10.04 over windows vista, and the menu recognizes

Quote:
windows vista (loader) (on /dev/sda3)

which is the recovery partition, and when I select that it goes to the menu for vista to repair an installation.

I have 2 questions:
1: how can I get windows 7 working again? (reinstall bootloader?)
2: to get windows 7 working again should I delete the HP Recovery partition? since windows 7 doesnt make any use of it...

Many thanks!

You need to use a program like bcdedit. instructions on how to usse it are here. BCDEDIT - How to Use

Yes you can delete the recovery partition.

Ken

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/84430-cannot-boot-windows-7-after-installing-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 76.54%

I installed Ubuntu on the same hard drive as my Windows different partition ofcourse Now even with windows boot manager when I choose 'start windows' it writes 'windows is loading files' then reboots Can't use recovery options quot repair your computer quot off my windows cd 14.04 Windows won't boot Ubuntu installing dual-boot. after for since it keeps telling me I don't have the matching windows version perhaps since ubuntu made some changes ro the MBR Solutions I've tried Fixing MBR with a 'utility' boot-cd like hiren's All it did was mess up ubuntu aswell so I had to reinstall ubuntu just to be able to boot Tried using boot-repair utility in Ubuntu - didn't work same problem Tried burning rescue disc off an existing windows computer Same error - 'no matching windows found' How can I reach window's rescue enviourment if it won't let me boot into it I would try to use bootrec exe but I can't get to it Please help I really don't want to re-install windows and lose all I Windows won't boot after installing Ubuntu 14.04 for dual-boot. have on that partition

A:Windows won't boot after installing Ubuntu 14.04 for dual-boot.

First off, if you can boot into Ubuntu you can browse the Windows partition and copy your files to a USB HDD for backup, so you won't loose anything if you have to reinstall.
Then use EasyBCD boot manager to manage your OS's boot loader.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-wont-boot-after-installing-ubuntu-14-04-for-dual-boot-860057.html
Relevancy 76.11%

I have had an Ubuntu/XP system for a while now, but yesterday it started bluescreening just after the windows logo on every attempt to boot. Also, while I can boot into Ubuntu fine, I cannot access the data partition which is pretty scary! I havent backed up in a good few weeks.

I dont have a recovery disk to run chkdsk from, what can I do?

Thank you for your time.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dual-boot-ubuntu-xp-windows-not-booting-cant-access-data-partition.641502/
Relevancy 76.11%

Since I installed Ubuntu onto my computer, I couldn't boot the Windows 8. I tried installation DVD to repair, but it didn't work. I tried these solutions; solution1, solution2, none of them worked either. I tried refreshing, it stopped at 37%.

When I use diskpart to list partitions from command prompt via the installation DVD, I chose the right partition, but I couldn't activate it.
How can I fix that ?

A:Windows 8 Boot problem after installing Ubuntu

Welcome to EightForums.

Try a Reset.
How to do a Reset
Reset Windows 8

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/19941-windows-8-boot-problem-after-installing-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 75.25%

Hi,
My dell laptop is dell inspiron 14R with preinstalled windows 8.I want to install ubuntu 10.04 side by side. I switch to legacy boot option too.But could not install it through disk since during partition table creation, it is not showing any os that is preinstalled.Its imp for me to install ubuntu.
I even reinstalled window 8 in legacy mode and SATA option AHCI and then tried to install ubuntu.Even in that case, same problem exists.In case of ATA option, it even doesn,t show any partion to install ubuntu

Relevancy 75.25%

Hello friends,

I am trying to make my new laptop hp- dv6 3174 dual boot with two operating systems Windows 7(which is preinstalled) and Ubuntu 10.10.
But after i install ubuntu, windows is getting erased. I tried repairing with system repair disc but not possible. Even if i put system repair disc it again ask to insert repair disc. And if i try to repair is with system image it replaces ubuntu with windows 7.
I asked some people here they are saying its issue with hp and not windows.
If anybody can solve this issue will be of gr8 help.

thank you

A:Dual boot problem while installing ubuntu 10.10 with windows 7 on hp

Please state it clearly, precisely, I mean.

Can you start Windows 7 now?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/152774-dual-boot-problem-while-installing-ubuntu-10-10-windows-7-hp.html
Relevancy 75.25%

I want to upgrade Vista to Windows 7, but without disturbing my Ubuntu installation, which is dual boot with Vista. I would prefer to do a clean install of Windows 7 over Vista, which has had niggling little issues (I resolve them and new ones appear) ever since I bought the pc. I don't have the recovery discs for Vista (the ones you make when you buy a new system) as they went missing during a major move.

What is the best way to accomplish all the above? Also, from what I understand, a clean installation can be done with an upgrade version of Windows 7 as long as a previous version of Vista or XP is already on the machine? I am not terribly confident when it comes to doing things like this, so would appreciate any help I can get. Thanks.

A:Installing Windows 7 over Vista on dual boot with Ubuntu

Is your Ubuntu installation on a partition on the same hard disk or on a seperate one?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/208480-installing-windows-7-over-vista-dual-boot-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 74.39%

Hi My buddy's laptop had a lot of malware on it and today he called me because he can't even log into Windows anymore I tried booting with the last good config in safe mode safe mode with prompt safe mode with networking running chkdsk r in Windows recovery console and running bootfix but nothing worked If I load windows XP normally his system becomes unresponsive after I click on a user name at the log in screen In safe mode with networking I just get a black screen with quot Safe mode quot written in the corners but nothing loads At this point I'm thinking the only boot, to about files? XP installing won't backup [SOLVED] Windows ubuntu how options [SOLVED] Windows XP won't boot, how about installing ubuntu to backup files? I have left are to try are doing a fixmbr or doing a repair install I don't have his activation key for XP but I'm afraid to risk losing his data which I want to back up for him first So my idea is try installing ubuntu as a dual-boot setup so I can access his hard-drive from ubuntu and backup his files before doing fixmbr or a repair install My question is - Is this possible I'm not sure how I can partition the HD for ubuntu given the state of the machine can I do it from the windows recovery console - If I actually can install ubuntu while Windows won't load will I be able to use it to access his files on his drive and back them up on my External HDD - Omelas

A:[SOLVED] Windows XP won't boot, how about installing ubuntu to backup files?

You don't need to install ubuntu you can use the live cd to access the HDD and

backup files.

Use Ubuntu Live CD to Backup Files from Windows

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-windows-xp-wont-boot-how-about-installing-ubuntu-to-backup-files-489237.html
Relevancy 73.53%

I am working on windows 7 (64 bit ) . Can i have Ubuntu installed in another partition ? I tried to install ubuntu but unable to complete the process. Is it because Ubuntu works only on 32 bit ? or the installation CD corrupted ?

A:Unable to install UBUNTU in a different partition

Hi Muralikrishna
Depending on the Ubuntu version it should work in 64 bits. But that woudl only make a difference if you are invoking the installation from your 64bits Win7, and I don't think that is the way you can install Ubuntu, you should boot from the install DVD
The DVD might be bad, burn it at slow speed and check that the iso file was not corrupt (check the MD5 checksum)

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/44093-unable-install-ubuntu-different-partition.html
Relevancy 71.38%

hii i was using ubuntu alongside win but for some reasons i have to uninstall ubuntu so i deleted that linux partition installed win bootloader to mbr fine but i was unable to resize my c drive with that unallocated space i created by deleting linux partition so bcoz of that i formatted that drive with ntfs and start useing to store data but when i again try to install ubuntu i go for option quot try ubuntu quot but it hang up so i restarted and when partition deleting 14 ubuntu linux after trouble fedora installing and i try to install trouble installing fedora 14 and ubuntu after deleting linux partition fedora it says gnome and gvfs crash so i trouble installing fedora 14 and ubuntu after deleting linux partition was wondering did i mess with my system now what to do plz help have a look at my disk manegement crash amp warning showed as soon as dekstop was prepare note that i had not even installed f i was about too but this error drive me crazy and make me confuse the proper error of fedora is gnome disk utility - fc reson process usr libexec gdu-notification deamon was killed by signal SIGABRT crash count crash amp warning showed as soon as dekstop was prepare gvfs crash - fc reason process usr libexec gvfs-gdu-volume monitor was killed by signal sigabrt crash count so now tell wheather i should install f frm this cd or make another or what to do i need to install fedora now plz help should i avoid that error and begin with installation bcoz i have back up image on portable hdd but still i want to take advantage of both fedora and win help me with this plz

A:trouble installing fedora 14 and ubuntu after deleting linux partition

Be careful with Fedora 14. You have separate partitions and one thing Fedora does is merge all partitions into one logical volume group. You have a backup
partition which contains drivers for your computer/laptop, ideally I would make a copy of this data before you install.

Is there some reason you prefer Fedora over Ubuntu? Both use Gnome 2.32 as the desktop, with the addition that Ubuntu 11.04 will install Unity desktop as well.

Unfortunately you cant tell much from the windows partition manager as drives are just assigned a letter, and you can only have 4 primary partitions.
Post on the linux forum if youre happy with your windows setup, Wmorri is Fedora Ambassador, but when you do please provide the following information.
Boot with the Ubuntu CD in Live mode (or try before installing). It will pick up your network, open a terminal and post output of:

fdisk -l

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/trouble-installing-fedora-14-and-ubuntu-after-deleting-linux-partition-574642.html
Relevancy 68.8%

Help!
My Windows 8.1 crashed after I tried playing an offline copy of Half-Life 2 on Steam. Now my windows won't even load, or if it does, it won't do anything. I am currently not even able to boot it into safe mode from the login screen. I'm at my wit's end.
Here's the deal. I actually backed up all my data on my Windows partition on an external hard drive. My question is, if I press the little "Reset" button on the side of my conputer, will it affect my Ubuntu partition? My computer is a Lenovo Ideapad P500 Touch model.
Thanks for all the help!

A:Does reseting the Windows 8.1 partition affect my Ubuntu partition?

Hi fox Resetting your Windows 8 will affect your Ubuntu partition. Since it was probably not part of the original configuration the manufacturer of your laptop created for that laptop, it will most likely deleted and Windows 8.1 will be reinstalled on it. Resetting a computer under Windows 8.1 pretty much delete everything on it, re-format the hard drive correctly and reinstall Windows using the manufacturer system image on the DVD or partition included with the laptop/computer. If you want to read more about the Reset process, you can read the HowToGeek article below:http://www.howtogeek.com/132428/everything-you-need-to-know-about-refreshing-and-resetting-your-windows-8-pc/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/572362/does-reseting-the-windows-81-partition-affect-my-ubuntu-partition/
Relevancy 67.94%

Hello I have been struggling with boot issues ever since I decided to install ubuntu LTS along Win bits on myVAIO computer To install it I chose quot Something else quot and resized the partition myself within the Ubuntu Installer At first I got GRUB working and finding Win but I could not start it after this boot-info Ubuntu Pastebin I reinstalled GRUB in sda using the following commands sudo update-grub sudo grub-install dev sda I got 7 BCD issue dual installing Boot Ubuntu Win boot after a seemingly quite common black screen from Windows Boot Manager saying this HTML Code File Boot BCD Status xc f Info An error occured while attempting to read the boot configuration data From this message I found out that I needed to rebuild the BCD and then reinstall GRUB to get a working dual boot I have created a Win bits repair USB and using Win 7 Boot BCD issue after installing Ubuntu dual boot diskpart I know I have primary partitions - MB - It seems Win 7 Boot BCD issue after installing Ubuntu dual boot to me that the boot files are supposed to be there According to DISKPART it s the volume C and labeled quot System Reserved quot - GB - Windows is installed on this partition According to DISKPART there is no Win 7 Boot BCD issue after installing Ubuntu dual boot volume associated with this partition and it is hidden - GB - Ubuntu is installed on this partition - MB is SWAP Auto repair from Win repair usb does not recognize my Windows and does not work Therefore I have to work with the command prompt I have tried most available tutorial on rebuilding BCDs Basically when I run all the tutorials I could find and they involved the following commands bcdboot c windows s c I get quot Failure when attempting to copy boot files quot bootrec rebuildbcd I get quot Successfully scanned Windows installations total identified Windows Installations GLOBALROOT Device HarddiskVolume Windows But when I try to add installation to boot list I get quot The requested system device cannot be found quot My current boot-info is available here Ubuntu Pastebin I am definitely not an expert in this matter and I would really appreciate any good advice you can provide Thanks a lot for your help

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/380035-win-7-boot-bcd-issue-after-installing-ubuntu-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 67.94%

Um, what the title says. I went to boot up vista and it says boot failure. I haven't changed anything on that hard drive. help...

A:Vista partition won't boot after installing windows 7 on another hdd

it says. boot disc failure. insert system disc and press enter.

When i installed windows 7. i took out my hdd with vista on it and put a new hdd in to install 7.
When i swapped them back, i get this error.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vista-partition-wont-boot-after-installing-windows-7-on-another-hdd-334356.html
Relevancy 67.08%

I just installed ubuntu but after doing that I got folders like boot, boot-sav and files like bootmgr, grldr e.t.c in my c:

When I checked disk management it is showing ubuntu drives also. As far as i know ubuntu drives(ext4) doesn't get recognized by windows. What's wrong with it?

And my system reserved drive is also being displayed in windows explorer.

What happened to my windows? Please help

A:Boot folder in C: after installing ubuntu

Can you post a screenshot of Disk Management ?

If Ubuntu/wubi is installed then there are no ext4 partitions you can see in DiskManagement.
Ubuntu/wubi uses virtual disks - just files in Windows file system.

Ext4 partitions are inside these virtual disks.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/228164-boot-folder-c-after-installing-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 67.08%

I have a machine that I upgraded to Windows from XP only to realize a few months later that I wanted XP as well for some old programs I still use I ended up shrinking my hard drive that has Windows partitioning it formatting the new drive NTFS and installing Windows XP Pro onto my newly-created partition I was expecting a boot screen to appear when I restarted my computer giving me the option of Windows and Windows XP However I was immediately booted into Windows XP Pro and I now don t know how to boot into my Windows adding an to Windows XP after boot Pro Solved: Partition 7 Unable OS partition I checked my boot ini file and here are the results boot loader timeout default multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS operating systems multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot Microsoft Windows XP Professional quot fastdetect There is no mention of a Windows partition in the boot file and I don t know how to get back to my Windows OS I know I didn t overwrite it or anything because I see all of my Windows files in the C drive my Windows drive http support microsoft com kb I m not sure if the above support document might help but I tried to follow through with the procedure but Bootsect exe isn t found in Windows XP Pro Looking back on it I guess I Solved: Unable to boot Windows 7 after adding an XP Pro Partition should have installed XP Pro first then Win on top of that Oh well Any help would be much appreciated nbsp

A:Solved: Unable to boot Windows 7 after adding an XP Pro Partition

There is no mention of Win 7 partition in boot.ini because Windows 7 does not use boot.ini or ntldr, it uses a new boot system called BCD which can be found in C:\Boot folder.

You need to boot off the Windows 7 DVD and select 'Repair your computer' and then run some command to repair boot system:
http://www.heiser.net/posts/3256

If you need a Windows 7 repair disc install, get one from http://neosmart.net/blog/2009/windows-7-system-repair-discs/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-unable-to-boot-windows-7-after-adding-an-xp-pro-partition.930935/
Relevancy 67.08%

Hi Friends,

Mine is Dell xps 13 ultrabook shipped with windows 7. I thought of installing ubuntu, so I unknowingly deleted recovery partition, formatted it and installed ubuntu. Now ubuntu is working fine. But in grub, I am not able to see windows. So I followed this tutorial How to Manually Repair Windows 7 Boot Loader Problems - How-To Geek to fix my windows. But it didnt work

In second screenshot, Windows 7 option didnt appear. I clicked next and did Startup repair which didnt help and then went to command prompt to execute the two commands

bootrec /fixmbr

bootrec /fixboot

The first command executed successfully but the second command gave me an error "the volume does not contain a recognized file system"

How can I recover my windows . Please help. I need windows badly

Thanks!

A:Deleted Recovery partition. Unable to boot into windows now.

Hi Rajeshksv37,

Welcome to SevenForums.

If you are in U.S.A, fill in the Media Request form and submit online. https://support.dell.com/support/top.../backupcd_form

Other than U.S.A., please contact DELL Technical Support in your country and request backup disc for your system.

DELL will send you the OS Reinstall Disk free of cost.

With it in hand, you may do a clean install and then install Ubuntu, Kubuntu or whatever.

Whatever other course you want to try, you are free to do it, but try to get the free OS reinstall disk from Dell. It will keep you in good stead.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/256925-deleted-recovery-partition-unable-boot-into-windows-now.html
Relevancy 66.65%

Hopefully I'm sticking this in the right forum seems the closest to me at least Sorry for the wall of text but I'm trying to provide as much info as possible Anyway I can't get Win to boot after setting up dual boot Ubuntu on my GF's laptop Been trying to solve this with help from the Ubuntu forums for several hours I've been up all night to no avail I'll describe the problem boot after boot won;t Ubuntu dual 7 installing Win and everything that Win 7 won;t boot after installing Ubuntu dual boot has been tried so far REALLY hoping somebody has an idea I'm getting desperate I installed Ubuntu last night via the Live CD Used the Live version to install alongside Windows and partition the drive install Grub etc At reboot after POST it would just go to a black screen with a flashing cursor I could only run off the live CD A forum member determined the Grub was trying to load from the wrong partition We changed that and voila Grub now loads properly I can boot into Ubunto via Grub with zero problems HOWEVER when I try to boot into Win from Grub it just locks at the same flashing cursor of death screen The partition is till intact I can see and access all the files on the partition from within Ubuntu however will not boot I have tried downloading and burning the Win repair disk and doing all of the following Running the automatic Start Up Repair - Win 7 won;t boot after installing Ubuntu dual boot several times All it does is remove Grub but booting still goes to the flashing cursor and I have to reinstall Grub again to be able to do anything after POST I have used the command prompt to run quot bootsect nt SYS mbr quot Has the same effect as above I have used all the bootsec exe fixmbr fixboot and rebuildBCD commands Again all have the same effect and I have to reinstall Grub to get anywhere I don't have an installation disk to try and just do a repair install because Asus apparently doesn't feel that I would need one of these All I have is the recovery disks from the Asus AIRecovery application that want to just re-format the entire drive and start over This isn't an option It's my GF's laptop mine gave up the ghost last week and we both have WAY too much highly important data on here Not to mention she would castrate me Now from all my research the only other thing I've come across that sounds possible is that the boot flag needs to be set to a different partition Somebody had a somewhat similar problem and it turned out the way Dell set up the system the boot flag had to be moved to a recovery partition and it worked fine I'm wondering if Asus has something similar going on but I can't figure out how to move the boot flag I'm going on straight hours of working on this now and really need some help

A:Win 7 won;t boot after installing Ubuntu dual boot

Figured out how to move the boot flag from within Ubuntu. Had no effect at all. That exhausts my last remaining idea. ugh.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/128616-win-7-won-t-boot-after-installing-ubuntu-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 66.22%

I am unable to boot from my windows partition. after spending hours I finally figured out it must have something to do with the partition.
windows bootmanager and system recovery window show 0 MB for this partition. diskpark and list volume is showing this drive is formatted as RAW not NTFS.
Can someone help me figure out how to convert RAW to NTF without losing my data. tried using easus and mini partition manager. might try ubuntu
can you help me figure out how to convert easily so I can get my system up and not lose any data?

A:unable to boot windows partition -how do I convert raw to ntfs withoutlosing da

There is no way to convert RAW to NTFS without losing data.  You need to recover your data and save it to a removable form of media, like a flash drive, CD or DVD, external hdd, etc.  To do this I would suggest using Recuva.  You can find a good tutorial for using Recuva here.

Once you have recovered your data you can format the partition and set the file system to NTFS and then reinstall your data.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/521332/unable-to-boot-windows-partition-how-do-i-convert-raw-to-ntfs-withoutlosing-da/
Relevancy 65.79%

I installed Ubuntu on a older Toshiba laptop. When I boot up it asks me to select either Windows 7 or Ubuntu. I want to get rid of the Ubuntu disk partition and give that 2.9 GB space to my primary hard drive. I go into compmgmt.msc but I can't execute any commands on that disk partition. Any ideas?

A:delete dual boot Ubuntu partition and convert to primary hard drive c:

So you wanna get rid of ubuntu totally?
first tap F8 multiple times to enter recovery environment
select "command prompt"
bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot

-now the default MBR has been restored (don't know if ubuntu did change that)

diskpart
list disk
sel disk 0 (or 1 or 2)
list part (note the number of ubuntu partition)
sel part X (if X is number of ubuntu partition. be very sure to select right partition!!!)
delete part

try to boot. post output of "disk management" afterwards

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/219373-delete-dual-boot-ubuntu-partition-convert-primary-hard-drive-c.html
Relevancy 65.36%

I'll be ecstatic if this After Unable To Updates PC Boot Installing Windows could be solved After installing windows updates my pc no longer boots It turns on with some beeping noises and then is just stuck on a black screen where I can move the mouse cursor around to my hearts content but cannnot do anything else as it doesn't boot any further I am not sure if I still have the windows disc as I upgraded from vista many a moon PC Unable To Boot After Installing Windows Updates ago but it maybe here somewhere It doesn't give me the option to run in safe mode do any sort of system repair or go to the BIOS screen due to the fact it doesn't boot up that far My next step of action apart from muttering a few choice swear words is to take it to a pc repair shop which I'm very reluctant to do Any solutions will be greatly appreciated If anymore information is required I'll try my best to provide it Thanks for taking the time to read this

A:PC Unable To Boot After Installing Windows Updates

Pay attention to the pattern of those beeping noises you're hearing when you power it up. Your motherboard is probably trying to tell you something. You'll have to go to the manufacturer's documentation to interpret the beeps.

You might also try resetting your BIOS/CMOS and/or checking/replacing the board's battery:

How To Clear CMOS (Reset BIOS)

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/240023-pc-unable-boot-after-installing-windows-updates.html
Relevancy 64.07%

I insalled Ubuntu along side windows 7 , and then i removed it using the command prompt by typing the two commands ( i used windwos 7 DVD installtion disk)
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec fixmbr
and now when my computer starts it boots to windows 7...but when i try to delete the partition that contains the Ubuntu , it does not work, i use the disk management tools from windows, I've tried many times but every time i get the same message ...
is there any way to delete this partition from w7 or do i need to have third part software..
regards

A:Can not delete Ubuntu partition after uninstalling Ubuntu

and what is the message ???

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/290358-can-not-delete-ubuntu-partition-after-uninstalling-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 63.64%

Hi All My laptop is a dell inspiron r N which is installed on win One day all of a sudden my windows was unable to boot I force powered off the computer and upon restarting i got Windows after 7 Intel unable to graphics installing boot driver an error message that a recent h w or s w change has caused windows unable to boot I tried system restore but no avail I went ahead and reinstalled Windows on my laptop and i could see that upon installing the Intel Graphics driver I started to face the same issue again Upon startup recovery i get the following message Root cause found quot A recent driver installation or upgrade may be preventing the system from starting quot Repair action System files integrity check and repair Result Failed Error code x Since I've zeroed in on identifying it to be the graphics driver issue the question is how do i get the driver installed and have my system working Without the driver my screen looks ugly with the x resolution Also Windows 7 unable to boot after installing Intel graphics driver I've been usng the same driver till the day my system first crashed with this issue Can anyone please comment on how to get over this issue Thanks Atul

A:Windows 7 unable to boot after installing Intel graphics driver

Hi Welcome to Seven Forums .. Which Driver have you been using ... ?

Was the Driver from the Dell Website ... You are looking for the Latest Intel series 4 Chipset Driver ..

Or do you just use Windows to update your Drivers ... ?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/348728-windows-7-unable-boot-after-installing-intel-graphics-driver.html
Relevancy 63.21%

Now I can't boot from the harddrive at all even after reinstallng windows history I installed a new drive and since I need to test apps on multiple operating partition damaged windows my ubuntu systems I install ubuntu damaged my windows partition several windows versions I spend two weeks installing many windows versions then updating and installing software on each then before I was about to clone the drive to use on other systems I installed ubuntu All ubuntu damaged my windows partition was fine I had Win pro win xp pro k datacenter and vista and seven in and bit versions all living with ubuntu until ubuntu asked to update from to When done the ubuntu damaged my windows partition Grub bootloader would fail to load the win seven bootloader After about hrs tryng to fix it I decided to delete the ubuntu and use my windows disc to overwrite the grub bootloader I did it successfully according to windows but it wouldn't load and nothin would boot I then try to reinstall Seven on the first partition hoping it would at least boot that and all seemed well during install but as soon as it tried to boot from harddrive nothin happened I then tried to reinstall one of the WinXP versions to let it overwrite the Seven boot loader but the same problem it's like something is stopping this partiton from booting I didn't want to wipe the partition if I don'thave to so I tried to use Gparted to resize and move it making it partition and a fresh partition to instal win on and hoped it would see and setup the booting of the other versions but I couldn't even move the martition unspecified error I think I'm about to just wipe the drive and start over losing weeks of work unless someone has a magic cure I've already tried to restore master boot records boot sectore fix every windows and rd partytool says it's fixed but it won't boot and won't instal Ubuntu's help is worthless unless it's ubuntu thats broken Every choice they have in installation recovery is to deal with ubuntu not working nothing at all with it killing allyour windows installations nor is there a way to quot undo quot the update or installation

A:ubuntu damaged my windows partition

All Linux code must be deleted using the CLEAN ALL command.As you have had linux on the HD you need do a Clean all & full format.

Type in command line
DISKPART
LIST DISK
SELECT DISK # (win HD)
CLEAN ALL
CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY
SELECT PARTITION 1
ACTIVE
FORMAT fs=NTFS
ASSIGN
EXIT
EXIT

SSD / HDD : Optimize for Windows Reinstallation

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/192470-ubuntu-damaged-my-windows-partition.html
Relevancy 63.21%

I just recently installed Ubuntu 13.04 in my new msi laptop. My goal is to hide Windows 8 partition in ubuntu and vice versa.
In ubuntu, I disabled auto mount so it is working as desired.
In windows 8 disk manager, I cannot seem to find a way to hide the ubuntu partitions.

My goal is to keep windows and ubuntu partions (in windows drives) to see each other to protect the parition from accidental damage.

Is there a way to this in windows 8 home edition?

I hope somebody here have more success than me.

Thanks in advance

A:Hide ubuntu partition in Windows 8

Hide partitions in windows by removing the assigned drive letter in the Disk Management Console.

How do I hide specific drives/partitions in Windows 7? - Windows 7 Help Forums

It is similar in Windows 8 - the link in post #3 points to Shawn Brinks tutorial:

Drive Letter - Add, Change, or Remove in Windows 7 - Windows 7 Help Forums

Even more protection is offered if the formatted filesystem for the Ubuntu installation is unreadable by Windows - such as ext3.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/30865-hide-ubuntu-partition-windows-8-a.html
Relevancy 63.21%

Here's the story I installed a new HDD and made it my new C drive I turned my old C drive into my D drive then cloned it onto my C drive Then I waited 8 D drive Unable boot Windows to installing 7 into after Windows on a couple of weeks to make sure everything was working It has been I am able to boot into either drive though Unable to boot into Windows 7 after installing Windows 8 on D drive it defaults to the C drive I decided to install Windows on the D drive After installing I was in quite a low-resolution environment I have a monitor that likes to be x but Windows wanted me to be at xsomething It was getting late so I figured I would try again another time I opted to restart the computer into Windows just to make sure everything was working The option to boot into either drive appeared though I noticed that Windows was now listed as the default option and Windows as the secondary I clicked on Windows and the computer instantly crashed Numerous subsequent reboots with attempts to boot into both OS yielded different results which eventually fell broadly into these categories - When attempting to boot into Windows a screen appears with a huge frowny emoticon It tells me that it's saving some data and will attempt a reboot but if I want to look up information later to make note of this error message CRITICAL PROCESS DIED - After an attempt at a normal boot I get the advanced boot option screen which gives me choices to boot into safe mode into another OS as well as many others Among them is to attempt a normal reboot This invariably leads to the above crash screen - When attempting to boot into Windows -- from either the Windows advanced boot options my BIOS boot options screen or the boot selection screen -- I receive BSOD this happened twice But it was a hassle just trying to get an option to boot into Windows I'm assuming that the two versions aren't playing nice somehow Both have tried to repair the startup sequence yielding the above results Maybe part of the problem was trying to put Windows on a secondary drive My temporary solution was to disconnect the D drive Upon booting a Windows screen told me that a necessary component was missing I was surprised to see that Windows even entered the picture at all It did give me the option of booting into a different OS I chose it and Windows booted up with no problems The one difference from a normal startup into Windows was a window that popped up telling me quot Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown quot It then provided some information appended below and a couple of files attached --Remy Problem signature Problem Event Name BlueScreen OS Version Locale ID Additional information about the problem BCCode c e BCP FFFFF A D EE BCP FFFFFFFFC BCP BCP OS Version Service Pack Product Files that help describe the problem C Windows Minidump - - dmp C Users Study AppData Local Temp WER- - sysdata xml Read our privacy statement online Windows Privacy Statement - Microsoft Windows If the online privacy statement is not available please read our privacy statement offline C Windows system en-US erofflps txt

A:Unable to boot into Windows 7 after installing Windows 8 on D drive

Did you boot the Windows 8 installation media to do the install? If not start over to Clean Install - Windows 8

For separate HD's I would unplug all other drives and then use the BIOS boot order or Boot Menu key to trigger the preferred drive.

If this isn't to your liking, install EasyBCD to Windows 7 to add Windows 8 to a Dual Boot menu.

You can change the preferred OS on that menu as shown in Default Operating System - Change Default Boot OS - Windows 7 Forums

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/329307-unable-boot-into-windows-7-after-installing-windows-8-d-drive.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Here's what happened I made a dual boot system with Ubuntu and Windows with a GRUB boot loader on my TB HDD partition Ubuntu Hang OOM/Windows Dualboot after allocating about lt GB including all proper partitions to Ubuntu and GB to Windows since I read that it's better to install the OS to a smaller partition Dualboot Ubuntu OOM/Windows Hang after partition leaving the GB of unallocated space thinking I could partition it later since I was busy at the time The system ran perfectly fine until I decided to partition all of the unallocated space using Disk Management on Windows Dualboot Ubuntu OOM/Windows Hang after partition probably not the greatest idea ever It took some time so I went on to do other stuff Next time I checked I saw an endless stream of command lines such as Out of memory Kill process systemd-udevd score or sacrifice child Killed process systemd-udevd total-vm kB anon-rss kB file-rss kB until a blank screen appears After restarting the computer I tried booting Windows and it hangs on the Starting Windows screen Trying to boot Ubuntu results in the same Out of memory failure Safe mode with networking doesn't load either gets stuck on CLASSPNP sys After this I've tried connecting the HDD to an another computer with Windows since I only need the files Strangely whenever the HDD is connected to the other computer the Windows from the other HDD also hangs on the Starting Windows screen After disconnecting the HDD other computer Windows loads perfectly I'm absolutely sure that the first boot device selected in BIOS was from the healthy computer Only thing I need is to backup the data stored I don't think I'll mess with any dual boot systems for a while after this D Any help would be greatly appreciated

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/625645/dualboot-ubuntu-oomwindows-hang-after-partition/
Relevancy 62.78%

i have Ubuntu dual booted with windows 7 32 bit, i am running out of space on my hard drive and am not using the 100 gigabytes i partitioned of for Ubuntu, i was hoping that someone might know how to change the partition size as i cant find out how to do it.
Thanks very much

A:Change partition size of Ubuntu in Windows 7

Quote: Originally Posted by sholtob

i have Ubuntu dual booted with windows 7 32 bit, i am running out of space on my hard drive and am not using the 100 gigabytes i partitioned of for Ubuntu, i was hoping that someone might know how to change the partition size as i cant find out how to do it.
Thanks very much

Boot with the Ubuntu Live CD, select "Try Ubuntu", and use gparted to shrink the Ubuntu partition and extend the Windows partition. Don't use the Windows Partition Manager, or you won't be able to boot Ubuntu.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/191210-change-partition-size-ubuntu-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 61.92%

I wonder if there's a chance I can still save my Windows Here's what happened and what I am left with laptop Toshiba my save I Windows problems)? Can (Ubuntu still install/partition Satellite C Used EaseUS under Win to modify Windows system partition to Can I still save my Windows (Ubuntu install/partition problems)? shrink it and make space for Ubuntu making an extra partition formatted Ext Can I still save my Windows (Ubuntu install/partition problems)? Did not touch Recovery and Boot Win partitions During Ubuntu installation I Can I still save my Windows (Ubuntu install/partition problems)? split Ext partition adding swap area I believe might have removed quot Primary quot property from one of the Win partitions Boot or Recovery but I reset it back immediately under Ubuntu install partition manager Did not have problems booting Windows or Ubuntu after install Same steps done earlier installing Ubuntu alongside XP did not cause any problems This time when I attempted to run Windows quot Recovery quot recover to factory state by pressing during power-up as it's done with this laptop--I could not do recovery this way anymore of course as Ubuntu install disables this interrupt--but I run Windows Recovery from boot manager like I done many many times with XP--this time however I got unusual screens and a couple of error messages After pressing cancel on these messages I was able to get to System Restore to Factory State option After selecting that option system began recovery to factory state but after about minutes displayed error message asking to press OK to shut down laptop After shutting down and booting got grub rescue no such partition message I could see that attempted and failed restore deleted all Linux partitions--without asking me And installed new NTFS partitions that weren't recognized as quot windows quot but rather as quot windows dos quot and weren't usable apparently Tried to install Ubuntu from disk NO Windows disk after shrinking one of the NTFS partitions and making ext space but failed to reboot after each installation getting the same no partition message After deleting both new NTFS partitions and converting them to quot Free space quot I was able to finally install and boot Ubuntu from HDD I can see that I still have Windows recovery partition on my hard drive and examination of files from Linux makes it appear intact there're recovery boot files When I attempt to run this Win Recovery partition from boot manager it starts but quickly fails and quits without modifying anything apparently Do you think there's anything I can do to rescue my Windows since I still have the recovery partition

A:Can I still save my Windows (Ubuntu install/partition problems)?

No need for reply, I brought the dead recovery partition back to life...
Moved Win recovery partition several blocks back (have no clue how it got moved forward), run repair MBR and set it as active... it went into clean recovery on power up then.

It seems to be impossible to do factory restore of Win 7 (at least with Toshiba restore) without wiping out present Linux--it was possible with XP. Even if I specify small partition to occupy for Windows, the factory restore kills everything else and creates free space without file system where the Linux was before. So will have separate laptop for linux from now on.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/219692-can-i-still-save-my-windows-ubuntu-install-partition-problems.html
Relevancy 61.49%

Wasn t sure if this should go in Windows OS or other but here it is So my pc has XP pro installed and Ubuntu I have it setup with a gig partition for XP a 7 Windows Ubuntu & XP Installing with a Pro PC on gig for Ubuntu and then rest of Installing Windows 7 on a PC with XP Pro & Ubuntu the gig hdd is for storage and has my My documents and program files on it I also have a TB hdd in there What I would like to do is create new partition on one of the hdd that part I know how to do then install windows on that partition I have been trying to find a guide to help me but they are either just answers to specific questions guides for vista xp amp Ubuntu or guides for doing the hole thing from scratch or get very technical in Linux and go over my head Oh I should also let you know I am a Linux Noob and have Ubuntu on there to play around with it some and try to learn on a linux OS Anyways does anyone have a nice guide as to how to do this Or is it fairly simple and I can just dive right in Also would it be better to make the partition for Win on the gig with the other OS s on it or the other hdd Thanks nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/installing-windows-7-on-a-pc-with-xp-pro-ubuntu.135221/
Relevancy 61.49%

I tried installing a Linux distribution by partitioning my hard drive... Near the end of the installation, I got an error message informing me that grub-install had failed. I canceled the install, and restarted my computer.

Now when Windows 8.1 is trying to load, it stops, giving me this message: "Your computer ran into an error and needs to restart. We are collecting some info, and then we'll restart for you."

There was another thread on this forum that had the same issue (http://forums.techguy.org/windows-8/1135019-windows-8-1-error-lenovo.html, but the thread is closed. The problem seems to be that the partition I created for Linux infringed on some invisible recovery partition... Assuming that is the problem, how do I fix it? I can't get back into Windows to look at things.

Relevancy 61.49%

I had two OS on my pc Windows 7 and Ubuntu. i was using the ubuntu loader to load my OS's after installed windows 8 i can only see windows 7. All these OS's are in separate partitions. So how do i get my ubuntu back important projects are in that partition

A:Ubuntu gone after installing windows 8

Try:-

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...rosoft%20Vista

Obviously replace "Vista" with "Win 8" - should work.

Regards

Robin

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/7754-ubuntu-gone-after-installing-windows-8-a.html
Relevancy 61.49%

I was running Windows but long story short the OS crashed and I had no access to my product key to reinstall it so now I'm running Ubuntu I'm starting to get a feel for Ubuntu and it's really not too bad Ubuntu from Installing 8 Windows but I miss Windows and would like to switch back I don't want to pay hundreds of dollars for it though so I'm hoping to take advantage of Installing Windows 8 from Ubuntu my student discount before my college kicks me off there system Installing Windows 8 from Ubuntu since I graduated The only thing I can find with a discount though is thishttp www microsoftstore com store msusa en US pdp Windows- -Pro-Upgrade- E -Student-Offer productID It's the Windows Pro Upgrade Will I be able to use this to install Windows from a non-Windows OS I don't want to buy it only to realize that I need a Windows OS to use it My machine has a Windows Vista OEM but it's near impossible to find a legit Windows Vista ISO to go back to that and upgrade to Windows Thanks for all the help

A:Installing Windows 8 from Ubuntu

Open source virtualization software VirtualBox was available in the Ubuntu repositories, meaning Virtualbox is a one-click install for Ubuntu users and yes, it is possible to run Windows under UBUNTU. However, I saw most people doing the other way around, including myself. I have both UBUNTU and Linux Mint installed as Virtual Machines, In addition, I also installed a light weight UNIX (UWIN from AT&T) and running shell scripts using ksh, vi etc...

If you can get an upgrade key for Windows 8.1 and somehow manage to download the Windows 8.1 Pro ISO then you will not need Vista or 7 to be installed to do the upgrade. You can just do a fresh install and it is much better this way.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/49268-installing-windows-8-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 61.49%

Hello,

I had Win XP and Ubuntu (through Wubi) installed in my 500 GB SATA hard disk. I installed Windows 8 in another 80 GB ATA hard disk. When I rebooted, I was unable to log into Win XP or Ubuntu; just Windows 8. How can I get back Windows XP and Ubuntu installations?

Thanks,
Emma Good.

A:Cannot run Win XP or ubuntu after installing Windows 8

Emma, this sometimes works. When you start-up, you have to watch the opening information, and hopefully, you'll see a menu that gives you a choice of which system to boot into. It will tell you that Win 8 is your default choice. You can then change the default or choose another OS.

But since you're using two hard drives, it's possible that Win 8 doesn't know the other drive exists.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/6071-cannot-run-win-xp-ubuntu-after-installing-windows-8-a.html
Relevancy 61.49%

I have a Dell laptop. I want to do a dual install, first Windows 7 followed by Ubuntu 13.04.
I would like to know if Ubuntu 13.04 installs as it normally does when installing with Windows 7.
I know Ubuntu 13.04 does not install easily with Windows 8 so I am curious about Windows 7.
I am not looking for any information on installing Ubuntu with Windows 8. I am only interested in installing Windows 7 and Ubuntu 13,04.
If anyone is interested, I have tried Windows 8 and absolutely despise so much about it.
Thank you

A:Installing Ubuntu 13.04 with Windows 7

Quote: Originally Posted by jrj350

I have a Dell laptop. I want to do a dual install, first Windows 7 followed by Ubuntu 13.04.
I would like to know if Ubuntu 13.04 installs as it normally does when installing with Windows 7.
I know Ubuntu 13.04 does not install easily with Windows 8 so I am curious about Windows 7.
I am not looking for any information on installing Ubuntu with Windows 8. I am only interested in installing Windows 7 and Ubuntu 13,04.
If anyone is interested, I have tried Windows 8 and absolutely despise so much about it.
Thank you

Here are the instructions I use to set-up dual boots...

Ubuntu Guide

Quote:
A user may experience problems dual-booting Ubuntu and Windows. In general, a Windows OS should be installed first, because its bootloader is very particular. A default Windows installation usually occupies the entire hard drive, so the main Windows partition needs to be shrunk, creating free space for the Ubuntu partitions...

Ubuntu Raring Installation -

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/297875-installing-ubuntu-13-04-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 61.49%

HI
I have just had limited success installing Ubuntu 12.10 onto an external diskon my new Samsung (series 3) Windows 8 laptop.
The secure boot and fast start up have been disabled.
The situation now is that Windows or Ubuntu will not boot up after pressing the power button, when doing this I get a dark screen with the following message:
error: no such device: 6dada016-95df-4ef5-a343-4a77e8afd396
grub rescue >_
I can now only boot up either program by hitting the F10 key directly afterpressing the power button, I then have to select one of the options in the boot options before themachine will boot (both systems boot up as normal when following this option).
Ideally, if the external drive is not plugged into the USB port I want mylaptop to boot directly into Windows 8. Can this be achieved?. I would like to start Ubuntu through the settings, change PC settings option.
Regards
Northerner

A:Installing Ubuntu In Windows 8

If you're getting that error message with no external drive connected, then you accidentally installed GRUB to your internal hard drive -- which could have been avoided if you had simply disconnected the internal drive when installing Ubuntu to the external drive.

What you will need to do is remove GRUB from your internal drive but since your Win8 PC uses UEFI, and I have no experience with that, I can't help you fix it. Sorry.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/19001-installing-ubuntu-windows-8-a.html
Relevancy 61.49%

Cannot install linux version using wubi windows installer I am Windows 8 Installing with Ubuntu Help 12 currently using windows bit professional Error message An error occurred Error executing command gt gt command C WINDOWS sysnative bcdedit e lt e set l cb bf - - e - -f d b ac l device partition br gt gt retval br gt gt stderr An error has occurred setting the element data br The request is not supported br gt gt stdout br For more information please see Help Installing Ubuntu 12 with Windows 8 the log file br c users evan appdataMocal temp wubi- -rev log br br Please help me find out a way thanks in advance blockquote div div div div class cleardiv div br -- EF Tip -- div id 'div-gpt-ad- - ' style 'width px height px margin-bottom - px ' script type 'text javascript' googletag cmd push function googletag display 'div-gpt-ad- - ' script div div a Help Installing Ubuntu 12 with Windows 8 style text-decoration none color grey href javascript onmousedown if document getElementById 'EF ' style display 'none' document Help Installing Ubuntu 12 with Windows 8 getElementById 'EF ' style display 'block' else document getElementById 'EF ' style display 'none' nbsp nbsp My System Specs a You need to have JavaScript enabled so that you can use this OS Win pro bit

A:Help Installing Ubuntu 12 with Windows 8

Find the log file in app data in windows windows explorer.

My guess is you didn't select the option to boot alongside windows...

You can always get a second hard drive, but I doubt you want too.

Ask this question on Ubuntu forums, the devs and geeks there can help you more than here.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/11910-help-installing-ubuntu-12-windows-8-a.html
Relevancy 61.49%

I'd like to start by saying I'm not very good with computers I'm a complete noob infact Which is why it probably was not a good idea Ubuntu Installing 7 over Windows to install Ubuntu But now I am trying to rectify this problem So I popped in the full install version of Windows Home Premium and booted from the disk I got up to the part where it asks me to select a partition One is something like GB with no free space and the other is GB Installing Windows 7 over Ubuntu with no free space It won't let me install on either and the reason it gives is something like it's not in NTFS format I don't know what this means Please help And if you do choose to reply act like you're talking to a preschooler because I am when it comes to computers x x In addition alot of Ubuntu forums say 'boot from the live CD' or so but I installed Ubuntu with a USB stick Does it matter Thanks Lisa

A:Installing Windows 7 over Ubuntu

You will probably need to format your HD & do a clean install of win7

Clean Install Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/134133-installing-windows-7-over-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 61.49%

Hi,earlier i had windows 7 on two partitions and Ubuntu on one.Then I re-installed windows 7 on one partition.Now OS Boot menu is not shown at startup.The new OS starts directly.How can i add entries of old Ubuntu and windows 7?

A:Installing windows 7 over Ubuntu...

So you had:

-win7 OS on a partition
-other win7 OS on another partition
-ubuntu on another partition

Please post screenshot of disk management in win7.
Did you always saw the grub bootmenu on boot or the win7 bootmanager?
Did you reinstall win7 by deleting everything first on that partition (or recreate the partition)?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/257453-installing-windows-7-over-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 61.49%

We got a new Dell machine with the Vista preinstalled. Employee wanted Ubuntu (how do ya blame him?) so he resized partitions and installed Ubuntu, but now Vista won't boot.

What can we do to get Vista to be happy again?

This howto:
http://www.pro-networks.org/forum/about78184.html#dualboot
says:
"DO NOT resize the Vista partition during the installation of the Linux distribution! Due to the change in NTFS versions, no Linux partitioning program, nor standard Windows partitioning programs, can properly alter the partition that Vista is installed to."
But we're too late for that...

A:Dell with Vista, resized NTFS partition for Ubuntu, now cannot boot Vista

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-with-vista-resized-ntfs-partition-for-ubuntu-now-cannot-boot-vista.551657/
Relevancy 61.06%

i need help with resizing NFTS also i use g parted but it says it doesn t recognize using QTparted Windows Errors resizing Ubuntu & partition gParted, the file system and therefor cant split or resize it also it will not let me unmount the drive i also get an error with Ubuntu it eather hangs on the HDD partitioning or fails to resize it beta The hard drive is running good now it has xp home on it just fine so i dont see why it refuses to partition or unmount it my next step is to burn kinoppix Errors resizing Windows partition using gParted, Ubuntu & QTparted to a cd and try it i did however have to reinstall windows xp times in the summer because it kept getting corrupted so may by my HDD is dying but if it was would windows be able to pass chkdisk it is about years old WD caviler gb rpm not sure what that could be thanks btw admins if u feal im Hijacking this thread ill you can open a new one edit when i use kinoppix QTparted to resize the partition it says quot hopelessly there are many bad sectors quot and wont resize it is the drive dying as i thought or can i fix the sectors with something other then chkdisk Moved this reply to its own thread nbsp

A:Errors resizing Windows partition using gParted, Ubuntu & QTparted

im runnig the sacn but i noticed that SMART was turned off, about 5% into the test(extensive test) an error comes up and says "to many bad sectors" and fails me, is this mean the drive has failed and could this cause it not the be able to be resized

thanks again i will try the test with SMART on but i doubt it will make a difference

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/errors-resizing-windows-partition-using-gparted-ubuntu-qtparted.70542/
Relevancy 61.06%

I have a gateway laptop which at one time had windows 7. Windows started acting up, so I tried a recovery from within windows only to have it fail. I ordered from gateway the recovery disks. While waiting for the disks, I loaded the entire HD with the latest version of Ubuntu just curious i guess. I now have the gateway windows 7 recovery dvd's and it will not recover because it doesn't seem to recognize the Linux partition. Without the Microsoft Windows 7 install disk (only have gateway's recovery disks). How can I remove the Linux partition?

Any advice or help would be greatful.

Mjmalino

A:Gateway recovery windows 7 DVD not recognizing Ubuntu Linux partition

Get the win7 install iso.

Better than the gateway I am sure: Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7

Clean install 7, then you might want to install Mint or Pinguy - try pinguy, you may be surprised.

http://pinguyos.com/

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/238468-gateway-recovery-windows-7-dvd-not-recognizing-ubuntu-linux-partition.html
Relevancy 60.63%

Hi I m planning on purchasing the following Windows over 7 Ubuntu Linux Installing laptop Ubuntu Linux version Intel Celeron amp Processor ULV U M Cache GHz MHz FSB Aberdeen Silver for WLAN inch HD WLED Display x with Anti-Glare MP Installing Windows 7 over Ubuntu Linux Webcam with Digital Mic for Installing Windows 7 over Ubuntu Linux Win GB DDR - MHz SDRAM DIMM GB RPM SATA Hard Drive Mobile Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD Intel GHA HD Dell Wireless n BT Combo For the price point I really like what is being offered except that I don t want Linux as the OS and would rather install Windows I recently did purchase Windows so I was wondering if it is possible to install Windows in place of Linux OS that it comes with Since there is not CD DVD-Rom what would be the best option to do it In addition is the process of deleting Linux and installing Windows pretty complicated I just dont want to mess up the laptop like drivers etc If Windows can be installed only then will I purchase this laptop I ve been trying to find a proper instructions link to do the above but no such luck so far Any advice will be highly appreciated Regards nbsp

Relevancy 60.63%

Some time ago I had installed Ubuntu over Windows 7 completely. At the time I had Windows 8 and to put it lightly, I didn't really like it as much as I thought I would have.
But I keep having thoughts of reinstalling my Windows 7 just because I miss my games so much. xD

If you're wondering if this has a CD, it doesn't. It was preinstalled on an Acer Aspire that I bought off Amazon.com. So what I'm trying to figure out is how to reinstall Windows 7 that is still in my desktop somewhere from Ubuntu. Not sure if this should completely be in this Windows 7 forum or in some other forum. >.>

A:How to Reinstall Windows 7 after Installing Ubuntu

Did the computer come with a recovery disc? Or perhaps there is a recovery partition or drive on the laptop itself.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/how-to-reinstall-windows-7-after-installing-ubuntu-643151.html
Relevancy 60.63%

Hi,

I'm wanting to upgrade my laptop to Windows 8. I currently have Ubuntu 12.10 installed alongside Windows 7. I've had a lot of trouble getting ubuntu installed and working (AMD graphics ) so I'd like to just leave that as is.

Is it possible to just install windows 8 over W7 in the same partition? How do I go about doing that? Is it as straight forward as just putting the disk in or is the whole secure boot thing going to cause issues? I want to do a clean install rather than using the upgrade assistant to install W8 over W7.

Cheers

A:Installing windows 8 with Ubuntu 12.10 already in place

If you install Windows 8, it will replace your current bootloader and quite likely Ubuntu will no longer boot. Here is an article that will help to restore GRUB bootloader after Windows has overwritten it.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/19082-installing-windows-8-ubuntu-12-10-already-place.html
Relevancy 60.63%

Well, I've been trying to get some games running on Ubuntu 12.04 for a couple of months now and finally got sick of it. Decided to set up a dual-boot with Windows 7 and use Ubuntu solely for school purposes.
Anyways, the problem: I can't seem to boot from the install disk. I've changed the BIOS options to boot from a removable DVD first, but that doesn't work, and simply using boot options on startup doesn't show the disk as an available boot location.
All of the pages I've found say I need to format the drive, but none actually explain how. If anyone has experience with Ubuntu 12.04 and installing Windows, help would be appreciated.

A:Trouble installing Windows 7 over Ubuntu 12.04

Dual Boot - Windows 7 and Linux - Windows 7 Forums

If you have problems with the steps ask the tutorial author in its Comments section.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/310933-trouble-installing-windows-7-over-ubuntu-12-04-a.html
Relevancy 60.63%

Hi guys,

I tried installing ubuntu on my HP pavilion dm4 today by dual booting it and keeping both windows 7 and ubuntu on the different partitions. I installed ubuntu 10.10 succesfully but the thing was when i am restarting the laptop..its asking me to choose the operating system but when i choose windows 7 it says to repair the system and to repair i should have a Windows 7 DVD. I got the system 10 days back and i had no back up of the system and i think my HP recovery was also crashed. I dont know what to do..Can anyone suggest me how to bring my WIndows back?

the good thing was ubuntu was working good and i am using it now...

A:my windows crashed while installing ubuntu

A new HP will have recovery options available at bootup. I think it's usually F11, but you can look on the screen to see the correct button. This will allow you to start from scratch.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/141138-my-windows-crashed-while-installing-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 60.63%

Need help badly. This netbook, has ubuntu installed. I wanted to put Windows 7 on it but I can't see the HDD during setup. BIOS detects it just fine.

I have read that Ubuntu does something to the partitions. When I do diskpart, list disk, I can only see one disk with 15GB space (Netbook has 160GB HDD). When I go into recovery in windows 7 and go command prompt it sends me directly to "X:sources" where X seems to be some kind of Windows 7 recovery image???
Please help if you have experience, need a stept by step guide or tutorial on this.

Thank you.

A:Installing Windows 7 (can't see HDD) (has ubuntu installed atm)

I guess the 15 GB is the disk space in which ubuntu is installed . Do you want to keep ubuntu or not ?

Download Partition Wizard Bootable CD , burn it in a disk . Boot from the PW disk , you will see the rest as unpartitioned space . Format it as NTFS primary partition (if you want to keep ubuntu, otherwise you may format the entire disk as NTFS primary using partition wizard ) .

Now you can install windows .

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/120964-installing-windows-7-cant-see-hdd-has-ubuntu-installed-atm.html
Relevancy 60.63%

I have uBuntu installed on my Compaq CQ42 right now. I want to install Windows 7 but when I boot from a DVD I get a black screen and a blinking cursor.

When I boot from a USB Drive, I'm able to enter the setup and boot properly but when I click Custom Install, I get this error:

No drives were found .Click load driver to provide mass storage

When I browse, I'm unable to locate my hdd, it just show a drive which is the USB, cd rom etc but not my laptop HDD.

How do I install Windows 7 side by side ubuntu.

Please help

A:Problem installing windows 7 on ubuntu 11.04

It should work like this: Dual Boot - Windows 7 and Linux - Windows 7 Forums

Is Ubuntu booting? If not is the HD even registering in BIOS setup? If not check cables and test the HD with maker's HD Diagnostic extended CD scan followed by a full Disk Check.

Sometimes GRUB can corrupt Win7 to where it won't repair or install. You may need to wipe the HD first with Diskpart Clean Command to clear the boot sector of code, allowing install of Win7 and then Linux.

Where did you get Win7? Is this a known good installer which works on another PC? If not try another ISO from Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/289701-problem-installing-windows-7-ubuntu-11-04-a.html
Relevancy 60.63%

Hey Alright here s my deal I hope ya ll can help The Bottom-Line Short-Version I bought a couple PC s with Ubuntu Linux installed I need XP on it My XP Install disc doesn t work error pops up if I tried to partition the Windows Installing Ubuntu XP (Error over :Help Msg): drive I ll mess it up for sure what the hell do I do What I ve Done Detailed-Version :Help Installing Windows XP over Ubuntu (Error Msg): I recently bought a couple computers Dell Optiple X GX that originally had the XP OS on it currently Ubuntu Linux resides as the OS which is a bad thing in this case I would like to uninstall delete Ubuntu and put Windows XP or any other version for this matter as my main amp ONLY operating system I have a Windows XP :Help Installing Windows XP over Ubuntu (Error Msg): Installation Disc that I TRIED to use and install I downloaded Wine amp Crossover each opens the EXE on the disc and allows me to explore In Setup it asks What do you want to do When I click :Help Installing Windows XP over Ubuntu (Error Msg): Install Windows XP it goes to the installation screen with the numbered steps on left column and then an error message pops up Windows Setup has encountered a problem and needs to close We are sorry for the inconvenience You will need to rerun setup in order to install Windows Choosing dynamic update during setup will possibly remedy this error So you re thinking Why don t you try disabling dynamic update dumbass Well on the numbered list on the left-hand column Step is Dynamic Update whereas I can t even get through Step So I don t think that s an option for me I ve researched this problem online and some people say Get the Ubuntu Live CD and try uninstalling it with that Got it the only thing that happens after I select an option in the Ubuntu Live CD Menu is a box keeps popping up saying Extracting then you see the percent bar bouncing from - like times then nothing happens I ve saw people suggest partitioning the hard drive which is Gigs I know NOTHING about that Even if I knew how to start doing it I couldn t tell ya the parameters to set All them numbers HA I m completely clueless on that If anybody knows anything I can try or do I would greatly appreciate the advice I could do a dual-boot I guess rather not but beggars can t be choosers BTW I do also have another hard drive I could hook-up which has Windows or XP on it if this helps the matter Not exactly sure how but I think I have a round-about idea if not I can easily research it online Thanks for your time and help I appreciate you at least reading all this -Shinin High- Jeremy nbsp

A::Help Installing Windows XP over Ubuntu (Error Msg):

Correct me if I'm wrong but it appears to me that you are trying to remove Ubuntu while actually working in Ubuntu itself. Have you tried booting directly from the Windows disc? You will need to format the hard drive while working off the Windows disc. If you cannot boot from the Windows disc then you will have to get another copy of it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-installing-windows-xp-over-ubuntu-error-msg.757060/
Relevancy 60.63%

I want to install Windows but I have Ubuntu 12.10 installed. Upon installation, I get "Windows 7 cannot be installed on this partition because the format is not NTFS,and is not enough space on the disk". There's two partitions Ubuntu is using (Disk 0 and 1). Both of them are full.

I need a step-by-step explanation (help) on how I should go about this. Can I just select to "delete" both the partitions through the installation process, and Windows will just create a new suitable one for itself? Or...is that not enough?

A:Uninstalling Ubuntu, Installing Windows 7

Deleting the partitions will completely remove Ubuntu from the HDD because you will be eliminating the partitions that contain data. Afterwards you can re-partition as you like or let Windows handle it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/286451-uninstalling-ubuntu-installing-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 60.63%

I have Installing Windows in Ubuntu with Problem 7 downloaded MB Desktop Edition from it's official website I'm installing Problem in Installing Ubuntu with Windows 7 it along with Windows Home While Installing I got the following screen first allocate drive Space Install alongside other OS Erase and Use the entire disc Specify partitions manually advanced I have chosen Manually Partitioning option rd Option There I got directed to free space option which is Unallocated space that I created in Windows it shows free space MB After clicking on free space I got one window for quot Create Partition quot which says A Type of new partition Primary Logical Selected B New Partition size in MB C Location for new partition Beginning End Question Which one to select is selected by default Problem in Installing Ubuntu with Windows 7 D Use as Ext Journalising File System E Mount Point After pressing quot OK quot button I got the following Problem in Installing Ubuntu with Windows 7 message You have not selected any partition for use as swap space Go Back Continue Please help me how to select swap spaces Kindly leave your email address also so that I can contact you if I encounter any problem after performing your steps

A:Problem in Installing Ubuntu with Windows 7

Quote: Originally Posted by Akhare1

I have downloaded 695MB Desktop Edition from it's official website,I'm installing it along with Windows 7 Home?

While Installing I got the following screen first :

allocate drive Space

1) Install alongside other OS
2) Erase and Use the entire disc
3) Specify partitions manually(advanced)

I have chosen Manually Partitioning option(3rd Option).There I got directed to free space option which is Unallocated space that I created in Windows 7.

it shows free space 20973MB

After clicking on free space, I got one window for "Create Partition" which says:

A)Type of new partition 1) Primary 2)Logical (Selected)

B)New Partition size in MB 20972

C)Location for new partition 1)Beginning 2) End Question:Which one to select,1 is selected by default.

D)Use as Ext4 Journalising File System

E)Mount Point /

After pressing "OK " button,I got the following message:

You have not selected any partition for use as swap space

Go Back Continue

Please help me how to select swap spaces.

______________________________________?
Kindly leave your email address also so that I can contact you if I encounter any problem after performing your steps

Alrighty then....Ubuntu (linux in general) merely has you create swap space to use in case your ram gets low and it needs to "swap" things out of the ram to the HD. This is identical to the page file located on Windows systems. In most cases if you have 2GB or more RAM for Ubuntu I would safely say you don't need it since the page/swap file is only used when your RAM is being filled to the maximum and objects are not able to be discarded from the RAM to clear space. Ubuntu takes very little memory to begin with....I have never used more than 1.2GB at a time. If you don't want the swap space (I don't use it personally) than just click continue (this has no consequences)

Now....after all of that....if you decide that you WANT the swap space....here is what you do

1. Erase the root partition (you made it as ext4 journaled with / as a mount point)
2. With the new unallocated space, make a 2 GB (I think that is sufficient) partition->Set the type to logical->set the mount point to swap
3. With the remaining space, make the root partition(/) as logical and ext4 journalized
4. OPTIONAL: Make sure to allow the GRUB boot-loader to install to your HD not just the partition that Ubuntu will be on....I have always recommended this as GRUB does a fine job handling pretty much every OS out there. If you choose to keep Windows as the default boot loader, you will have to jump through some hoops with the bcd store (EasyBCD for this) to have Ubuntu be able to boot

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/118079-problem-installing-ubuntu-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 60.63%

Hello,
I bought a new laptop Dell 15R 5558 series 5000 yesterday, with ubuntu preinstalled on it. I want to install my Windows 7 on it instead of Ubuntu.
Here are my hard drivers details 
And when I try to install my Windows 7, I get this message
What should I do?

A:Installing Windows over Pre-installed Ubuntu

See here:
http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/a-clean-install-of-windows-7/windows-7-installation/ 

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/t/19996713
Relevancy 60.63%

I have Windows 7x64 installed on my Lenovo G580 right now. I want to install Ubuntu 12.04 on my laptop. I made a bootable USB using unetbootin and tried to install Ubuntu. It installed correctly( I formatted a partition which i made specifically for ubuntu with 10GB Swap area and 20 GB for main Ubuntu installation).

After restarting i am not getting select os menu rather windows 7 starts directly

When I browse my HDD in windows 7 (My Computer-Properties-Disk Management), I'm unable to locate my hdd in which i installed Ubuntu, it just shows my other two drives thats C and D drive, the E drive which i used is not visible.

Anyone please Help i need to install Ubuntu urgently

Thanx

A:Unable to install Ubuntu 12.04 with Windows 7

Hi,

You need to follow a specific set of steps to get the boot menu to appear, but lets first take a look at your disk management screen. Can you post a screen capture image of it here?

Regards,
Golden

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/255920-unable-install-ubuntu-12-04-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 60.2%

I have an Acer Aspire 3680, and I noticed that my wifi is really bad on my Vista partition (I can barely move spots without disconnecting or slowing down) But my ubuntu partition wifi is perfect. I can move around freely and hardly ever disconnect. The Atheros drivers are installed correctly, I believe. So I don't know what the problem could be,.

A:Bad Wifi on Vista partition, but excellent on Ubuntu partition?

Do you have the latest wireless driver from Acer's web site?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/bad-wifi-on-vista-partition-but-excellent-on-ubuntu-partition.943365/
Relevancy 60.2%

Hi

I have been trying to install Windows 7 onto an Asus X5DIJ with Ubuntu installed on it. The Ubuntu install was on the laptop when I got it but won't get passed the login screen. My only other computer is an HP Mini Netbook which I used to make bootable USB. The USB is a brand new 32gb SanDisk Cruzer Extreme 3.0 and I used the Windows USB Installer tool to make a bootable version of Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit from a legal iso downloaded from heidoc.net. I've set the BIOS to boot from Removable Disk but whenever I start the laptop up it just goes ahead with the faulty Ubuntu boot. I checked the POST and the usb is showing there and the light on the usb blinks at startup. Any ideas?

Thanks

A:Installing Windows 7 over Faulty Ubuntu Install

Hi,

Can you double-check to see that the bootable USB drive is inserted into a USB2.0 port, not a USB3.0 port?

Regards,
Golden

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/289144-installing-windows-7-over-faulty-ubuntu-install.html
Relevancy 60.2%

Hello all!

I recently received an HP Slate 500 from a friend of mine who had installed Ubuntu 10.04 onto it. Being unfamiliar with Ubuntu, I am wanting to install Windows 7 Home Premium onto it. Unfortunately, I have no idea what I'm doing. After researching the forums, I've tried to boot the tablet from a USB Stick, but for whatever reason it's booting straight to the Ubuntu desktop without even noticing the drive. I've made sure that the BIOS is set to boot the USB drive first, but still no dice. Any advice?

Thanks in advance,

T.

A:Installing Windows 7 onto an HP Slate 500 Tablet PC over Ubuntu 10.04

You have to set the boot device PRIORITY to boot from your usb stick 1st, not the boot disk sequence. That can be left to boot from the hard drive 1st. After the 1st reboot during the install you have to change the boot disk priority back to the hard drive 1st again. If you don`t it will keep booting from the usb over and over. How do you plan to activate 7 ?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/222346-installing-windows-7-onto-hp-slate-500-tablet-pc-over-ubuntu-10-04-a.html
Relevancy 60.2%

Hi folks I get my new Inspiron R Special Edition just a few days ago And I need to install the Ubuntu to do my researches for the university Since I needed to change the partitions I decided to install the a copy of the Windows I have here But something happening when I was change the partitions installing the Win I couldn' t see any partition and get the error quot We couldn' t load any drivers blablabla quot After that I solve this problem searching on the internet and change in the BIOS in the advanced tab the quot SATA Operation quot from quot Intel Rapid Sto rage quot installing 12.04 8 Windows 17R SE Ubuntu Troubles in Inspiron and to quot ATA quot Then I install Troubles installing Windows 8 and Ubuntu 12.04 in Inspiron 17R SE the Win and I am not able to boot anymore Smart as I am I try to do quot in my way quot and I deleted all partitions to make my own configuration I don' t need to say that anything else is working now I tried to do three -step restore of the Windows partition quot System Reserved quot but it didn' t work Also I tried to install the Ubuntu but I am not able to record the bootloader in any partition Right now I have the partitions as follow HDD MB - System Reserved Windows GB - Windows Partition GB - File Partition GB - Ubuntu GB Unlocatted Will be the linux SWAP SSD GB - Partition I create to try to avoid the Windows to try create the quot System Reserved quot partition here I'm thinking that the boot is in the HDD Please if there anything that someone could tell to help solve my problem I'll be really thankful Thank you

A:Troubles installing Windows 8 and Ubuntu 12.04 in Inspiron 17R SE

If you can boot, open Windows Disk Management and post a screen shot of what you see there so we can better see what is going on.

Do you have installation discs for Windows 7 and 8?

Do you have a 25 character Product Key for Windows 7?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/257917-troubles-installing-windows-8-ubuntu-12-04-inspiron-17r-se.html
Relevancy 60.2%

hello friends..,i'm new to this forum and i need some help here..

my os is windows seven,and i installed linux for a educational matter.then when i boot the computer i had to choose the os from the grub.And today morning i formatted the partition which is linux installed.then i unable to boot from windows seven.After that i installed windows seven to the partition which is formatted.now i'm using that one.But i still unable to boot into my old windows seven.here's the problem.. .how can i recover the old seven and boot into it..?please somebody help me..

A:help needed..! recovering windows seven after installing ubuntu

Please post back a screenshot of your full Disk Management drive map, using Snipping TOol in Start Menu - attach file using paper clip in reply box. Tell us what is located where.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/112881-help-needed-recovering-windows-seven-after-installing-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 59.77%

Please I desperately need help. After being a Windows user for a very long time I have this past year been introduced to Linux, specifically Ubuntu, at the beginning of this year. Linux and Ubuntu is great and at the moment I cant work without it. The only reason why I sometime still use Windows is to edit my Word docs etc. I have recently purchased a new HP Envy x360 laptop which has Windows 10.1 preinstalled. The first thing I did when I got the laptop was to install Ubuntu alongside Windows with no luck. The installation process goes quite far but just before it is finish I get a pop up window error which says the following: 'grub-efi-amd64-signed failed to install into /target/. Without GRUB boot loader, the installed system will not boot'. Please can someone help me as at the moment it seems I have bought this laptop which is actually useless.Thank you very much

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Unable-to-install-Ubuntu-16-04-1-LTS-alongside-Windows-10-1/td-p/5804861
Relevancy 59.77%

Please I desperately need help. After being a Windows user for a very long time I have this past year been introduced to Linux, specifically Ubuntu, at the beginning of this year. Linux and Ubuntu i sgreat and at the moment I cant work without it. The only reason why I sometime still use Windows is to edit my Word docs etc. I have recently purchased a new HP Envy x360 laptop which has Windows 10.1 preinstalled. The first thing I did when I got the laptop was to install Ubuntu alongside Windows with no luck. The installation process goes quite far but just before it is finish I get a pop up window error which says the following: 'grub-efi-amd64-signed failed to install into /target/. Without GRUB boot loader, the installed system will not boot'. Please can someone help me as at the moment it seems I have bought this laptop which is actually useless.Thank you very much

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Unable-to-install-Ubuntu-16-04-1-LTS-alongside-Windows-10-1/td-p/5804862
Relevancy 59.77%

Acer Desktop PC Model AM sis ethernet adapter webstar dpx series cable in Ubuntu No Boot 9.10: Vista Ubuntu Connection Dual and Internet modem After setting up a dual Dual Boot Vista and Ubuntu 9.10: No Internet Connection in Ubuntu boot system successfully Vista connects to internet via ethernet Ubuntu does not sis ethernet driver is updated to latest version I can access the internet from Ubuntu however after shutting down the pc unplugging the power cord removing the cmos battery and reinstalling I reinsert the power cord and boot up as normal into Ubuntu and have full access to internet Simply removing reinserting ethernet cord removing reinserting pc or cable modem power cord or resetting cable modem does not work I am asking if there is a solution as to where I can log off Vista and restart pc into Ubuntu and have internet access automatically bypassing Dual Boot Vista and Ubuntu 9.10: No Internet Connection in Ubuntu all these steps I ve explained After perusing multiple forums where people have described similar if not same issues I ve yet to find a solution to this I ran ipconfig in Vista and have the results I ran ifconfig in Ubuntu and have the Dual Boot Vista and Ubuntu 9.10: No Internet Connection in Ubuntu results As these results may contain information that can present a vulnerability regarding system ip identification I have omitted them here If needed I will respond via personal message with the contents Thank you in advance for your continued contributions in aiding the computer world quot handicapped quot nbsp

A:Dual Boot Vista and Ubuntu 9.10: No Internet Connection in Ubuntu

Ubu 9.10 has known issues

If you are using Ubuntu 9.10, it has known issues with the built-in Network Manager and DSL modems (and presumably Cable modems as well)..

Currently, there is no fix (short of going back to 8.10 or hoping it is fixed in Ubu10 due out in April (iirc). Sorry.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-boot-vista-and-ubuntu-9-10-no-internet-connection-in-ubuntu.142344/
Relevancy 59.77%

Hi a couple of months ago my system crashed windows wouldnt boot and I boot, help 7 wont Win disk doesnt boot, startup Ubuntu , windows dual misplaced my installation disk I had Win 7 , Ubuntu dual boot, windows wont boot, startup disk doesnt help the problems several times since obtaining the computer several years ago Lenovo IDeaPad y I attributed the problem to what I believed was a bad hard disk so I replaced it with a refurbished model I installed Ubungu and it worked well ever since I later located my win disk and created a dual boot Windows worked very well for several months until it stopped starting up last week It would get to the black windows screen where it says starting and usually get stuck there I would get fed up and turn it off after half an hour Once it was as the screen and it later started the checkdisk program and found no errors Another time it finally got into windows after a very long loading time and it seemed to work fine until the next time I restarted windows It just went back to the loading windows screen I formatted the windows partition through GParted in Ubuntu and tried the installation disk and it would get stuck at in the quot expanding files quot sequence After an hour of hoping something would happen I got fed up and forced it off again Not sure what to do from this point I have read other posts and it has led me to think that the issue could possibly be bad RAM or an issue with BIOS But Ubuntu has been working fine while Windows has simply been freezing at any attempt of a startup

A:Win 7 , Ubuntu dual boot, windows wont boot, startup disk doesnt help

It could be that the HDD has a bad sector in the Windows partition, or that the drive is actually failing. If there is a utility in Linux that tests memory, I would run it.

You could also use Memtest86+. It runs from a CD/DVD. Let it run for several passes to rule out bad RAM.

Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/342483-win-7-ubuntu-dual-boot-windows-wont-boot-startup-disk-doesnt-help.html
Relevancy 59.77%

I wanted to set up Ubuntu on my computer and followed the instructions in the first answer to this thread dual boot - How to install Ubuntu alongside Windows - Ask Ubuntu As instructed I created a logical partition using EaseUS software I did this on my H drive a hard disk drive whereas Windows was installed on C and SSD After a mandatory reboot for the new partition changes I did not immediately go to install Ubuntu although I had Live USB to do so - Ubuntu to Dual Wanted Won't Boot Boot and Win7 Anymore Windows Instead if I remember properly I booted into Windows to make sure everything was Wanted to Dual Boot Win7 and Ubuntu - Windows Won't Boot Anymore OK but only to find out that some quot Windows could not boot properly quot giving me the option to 'Launch Startup Repair' - which I did but to no avail All it did was reported that some system files were missing or corrupt I then installed Ubuntu on a third drive because I still needed it to perform some benchmarking I did this using the 'install alongside windows ' option But now that I don't need Ubuntu anymore all I am interested in is getting back to Windows while keeping all the files and programs intact How should I go about fixing this Delete the logical partition on the other drive I also have that Windows installation CD and I'm thinking its repair options could be useful - but not having a whole lot of self-confidence I don't know what steps exactly to take to preserve my files Any help is greatly appreciated Edit I booted from the Windows installation disk just to see the options available and when selecting the 'Repair Windows' option I got a message saying quot this version of system recovery options is not compatible with the version of Windows you are trying to repair Try using a recovery disc that is compatible with this version of Windows quot The CD is definitely matching the version of windows I want to install but a problem might me that my Windows and the CD are the OEM versions which I've read can't be used to perform upgrades

A:Wanted to Dual Boot Win7 and Ubuntu - Windows Won't Boot Anymore

Hi I Am User,

Upon inserting the Windows installation disk you should be able to install a new Windows and be able to select Upgrade and it should create the Windows.old folder on the new Windows.

Cheers
Boris

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/387451-wanted-dual-boot-win7-ubuntu-windows-wont-boot-anymore.html
Relevancy 59.77%

Just curious, but is there option for me to enable uefi boot of my Windows 10 Professional installation on my HP xw6600 dual quad core E5450 machine which holds two Samsung 850 Pro SSD's, one for Windows 10 and the other completely for Ubuntu LTS 16.04.When possible,  how to go about it. How do I enable this option. Yours truly, 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/enabling-secure-uefi-boot-Windows-10-dual-boot-with-ubuntu/td-p/5631758
Relevancy 59.34%

Okay, so I decided to buy cheap used laptop before I really checked it out. Trusted a freind...

It has Ubuntu operating system ... I bought a BRANDNEW Windows 7 disc from my college ($7.50 + tax for a student!!!)

I put in Win7 disc - tapped F12 - chose "CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive" for the desired boot device.

It says something like "press any key to...." - but whether or not I press any key, it goes from that screen straight into loading "Ubullpoop"... i mean Ubuntu....

Any help???????????!!!!!!!

A:Trouble UNinstalling Ubuntu and installing Windows Ult. 7 32bit

Quote: Originally Posted by greaterthings

Okay, so I decided to buy cheap used laptop before I really checked it out. Trusted a freind...

It has Ubuntu operating system ... I bought a BRANDNEW Windows 7 disc from my college ($7.50 + tax for a student!!!)

I put in Win7 disc - tapped F12 - chose "CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive" for the desired boot device.

It says something like "press any key to...." - but whether or not I press any key, it goes from that screen straight into loading "Ubullpoop"... i mean Ubuntu....

Any help???????????!!!!!!!

Welcome to the Windows forums greaterthings.

Are you sure that the brandnew windows 7 disk is bootable and not an upgrade disk?

Normally I touch the space bar when the boot from cd rom line comes up with a bootable cd/dvd in the rom drive.

Rich

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/176249-trouble-uninstalling-ubuntu-installing-windows-ult-7-32bit.html
Relevancy 59.34%

I got a dell Inspiron 1420 from my colleague. He had installed Ubuntu (Hardy heron 8.04) Now I want to install Windows XP on it. While running Windows Xp setup I receive a message "Harddisk not detected" Installation doesnt go ahead. Please guide on how to solve this issue

Relevancy 59.34%

I hope I'm in the right forum but here it goes Computer Laptop in question HP Compaq s Let me start off and say that I have been having after erasing installing ubuntu and Ntldr is missing windows problems with this computer and decided to install ubuntu because at the time it was Ntldr is missing after erasing windows and installing ubuntu the only known option available I should also mention that it was the only known option available because the cd-rom is presently nonoperational so Ntldr is missing after erasing windows and installing ubuntu the only way to boot anything is from a USB stick The computer is presently running the newest version of Ubuntu xxx When I installed ubuntu I chose the option to erase windows and install ubuntu only I Ntldr is missing after erasing windows and installing ubuntu now realize that was not the best option Ubuntu is fine but I would rather have some sort of windows operating system so I made a bootable Windows usb key in order to install Windows This bootable USB key works fine on my other computer which is a HP Pavillion A n and running Windows XP However when I put this USB key in my laptop I get the quot NTLDR file is missing press any key to restart quot I can't access the windows setup at all I verified all my boot options and everything is set to USB I have searched all over the internet but can't find anything for MY particular situation I am by no means a computer gooroo but it seems to me that the NTLDR file is in fact missing and I need to reinstall it but how can I do that with Ubuntu Any help would be appreciated thanks

A:Ntldr is missing after erasing windows and installing ubuntu

Hi there
you need to have at least ONE partition marked as active before it's bootable with W7.

If you have s system "Reserved" partition then flag that as ACTIVE. If this doesn't exist mark the "C" partition as ACTIVE. Just setting these as PRIMARY isn't sufficient.

Now if on boot it still gives you a BSOD then just use the recovery console -- boot from the W7 install media and choose REPAIR SYSTEM. It won't change any existing data.

To reset the partitions you need to user a bootable partition manager like GPARTED. Just boot the media and follow the instructions.

Cheers
jimbo

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/227328-ntldr-missing-after-erasing-windows-installing-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 59.34%

Hi there Recently got a HP Pavilion g sa which came with Windows spit and this disgusting UEFI BIOS replacement double spit Anyway I need to dual boot Ubuntu on my system so I installed Ubuntu Normally on a non UEFI system a Grub bootloader installed by Linux would take Boot 8 Order and Dual Ubuntu on Boot Changing Windows over the startup process and allow you to choose between Changing Boot Order on Dual Boot Windows 8 and Ubuntu either Windows or Ubuntu on startup nbsp However on this computer startup is just booting straight to Windows despite the fact that Ubuntu and Grub IS installed Now upon startup if I press F then I get to change the boot-device on a one-time basis I can either select OS Boot Manager which loads Windows or Ubuntu which loads the Grub bootloader which allows me to select Windows or Ubuntu However when I press F to enter the Bios Setup with the intention of changing the boot order permanently the Ubuntu option isn't there Instead it has OS Manager USB Disk CD Rom USB CD Rom and Network Card Thanks HP for the crappily designed BIOS Anyway can anyone PLEASE provide me a way of changing the boot order so that GRUB is loaded first and NOT this crap Windows rubbish that I would happily bin if I didn't need it for work nbsp

A:Changing Boot Order on Dual Boot Windows 8 and Ubuntu

Looks like HP forums are just as useful as HP customer service and HP computers - i.e., not very useful at all.Problem solved though. Took the piece of crap back for a full refund and won't be buying HP again.Happy days.Bye.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Changing-Boot-Order-on-Dual-Boot-Windows-8-and-Ubuntu/td-p/2503733
Relevancy 59.34%

I recently installed Ubuntu on my HP Mini - NR deleted boot! Installed Ubuntu, Help! No the Ubuntu Partitions. then deleted the partitions that had Ubuntu on them not knowing that Ubuntu comes with GRUB and sets itself as the default boot for that system Now that GRUB is not installed since it was on my only HDD it looks for the GRUB partition which does not exist so I get an error on a command script that shows as follows Help! Installed Ubuntu, deleted the Ubuntu Partitions. No boot! quot GRUB -error no such partition quot grub rescue gt I still have Ubuntu on a flash drive And I have my sister's computer to use until I get mine fixed so I need help I downloaded the Win Recovery Disc but I don't have a program that can write the ISO image file to a USB flash Help! Installed Ubuntu, deleted the Ubuntu Partitions. No boot! drive so I need to know how to get the ISO on the USB Drive or how to fix the boot for Win I'm willing to do anything lol I've already done a couple hours worth of 'Google-ing' for how to fix this error and have come empty-handed Please help And if this information helps I have a Volume D with the recovery files on my hard drive

A:Help! Installed Ubuntu, deleted the Ubuntu Partitions. No boot!

USB Windows 7 Installation Key Drive - Create
YouTube - How to install Windows 7 from USB (WinToFlash)

First mark the WIn7 partition Active from the Repair CD command line: Partition - Mark as Active

Then click through to Recovery Tools list to run Startup Repair up to 3 separate times with reboots until WIn7 starts.

You may have to wipe the partition with GRUB first: Disk - Clean and Clean All with Diskpart Command

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/95280-help-installed-ubuntu-deleted-ubuntu-partitions-no-boot.html
Relevancy 58.91%

Hello there,

I have a problem. I have a dual boot computer with Xp on C: and Win2k3 on D:

As my XP is behaving very weird lately, I intend to reinstall my C: again with XP again. But if I do so, my Win2K3 on D: will fail to start. I have done this experiment on a spare machine.

Does anyone know how I can reinstall XP on my C: and yet make sure that my Win2K3 still works well on my D: ?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

A:Win2K3 unable to boot after installing WinXP as a dual boot

Yes. You need to restore the boot environment that was installed with Windows 2003 server. Its more up to date than the one that was installed with XP, and is capable of booting both, whereas the older XP one you now have can only boot XP and not 2003.

I believe you will be able to get round this:

Install XP.

Backup your boot.ini file.

Boot from your Windows 2003 CD and begin an installation.

After the text based stage, where the files are copied to the hard drive, STOP THE INSTALLATION BEFORE THE GRAPHICAL STAGE, AND DON'T FORMAT!!!! You can do this by booting from the Windows 2003 CD instead of the HDD.

Then, boot from the Windows 2003 CD into recovery console, and rename your old boot.ini file as the new one.

Basically, you are wanting the Windows 2003 installation program to write its boot environment to the HDD again, but not to reinstall the OS.

You get around this in future by installing OSes in the order they were released, from the oldest to the newest, so that the following would be installed in this order:

Windows 95
Windiws 98
Windows NT 4
Windows 2000
Windows XP
Windows 2003

I hope this helps. Sorry if this is a little vague but its early in the morning. Post back if you still have questions, but I've encountered this problem many times and that was how I fixed it. I don't recall fixboot or fixmbr from the recovery console helping.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/win2k3-unable-to-boot-after-installing-winxp-as-a-dual-boot.18107/
Relevancy 58.91%

I have dual boot Ubuntu 11.04 and Windows 7 and now i cant boot Windows it says Windows can not start the installation process.

A:I have dual boot Ubuntu 11.04 and Windows 7 and now i cant boot Window

The best two ways of running Linux with Wondows on one Hd drive.
Dual Boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu
Linux - Install on Windows 7 Virtual Machine using VirtualBox

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/189143-i-have-dual-boot-ubuntu-11-04-windows-7-now-i-cant-boot-window.html
Relevancy 58.91%
A:Cannot Boot Windows 7 after Uninstalling Ubuntu Dual-Boot

The Linux Grub messed you up. You can try to fix it with EasyBCD. Elseyou can make your C: partition active (with the bootable CD of Partition Wizard) and run repair/install with your installation disk 3 times. Reboot after each time.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/278972-cannot-boot-windows-7-after-uninstalling-ubuntu-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 58.91%

I have dual boot Ubuntu 11.04 and Windows 7 and now i cant boot Windows it says Windows can not start the installation process.

A:I have dual boot Ubuntu 11.04 and Windows 7 and now i cant boot Window

Could you tell me exactly how you installed Ubuntu in your dual boot? Did you use Wubi Installer or install the OS on a separate partition?

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/189146-i-have-dual-boot-ubuntu-11-04-windows-7-now-i-cant-boot-window.html
Relevancy 58.91%

Hello all,
After doing an install of xp on to a partition'd hard drive on a seven machine, now instead of the 7 boot loader, it goes straight to XP. Now I know the partition its all intact as I can see all my 7 files and folders. Not reinstalling would be helpful but can be done in a worst case scenario.
Thanks in advance.

A:Unable to boot into 7 after XP installation onto partition

Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/140517-unable-boot-into-7-after-xp-installation-onto-partition.html
Relevancy 58.91%

I have a pre-installed Computer with XP and I dual booted with Vista. I installed Norton partition magic and was proceeding to resize my partitions. I wanted to add some more size to the Vista partition by taking something away from the XP Partition. Once the computer rebooted it went about resizing (took a while). Unfortunately once the computer started up again I was unable to boot into my XP Partition. The Vista partition worked fine. Someone mentioned that you can't resize, but only repartition once dual booted. What was my mistake or should I have been able to do what I was trying to do. I performed a repair installation and seem to have fixed my XP partition. I did lose my dual Boot menu screen with Vista and XP, but can repair that using Vista boot pro loader. Ideas?

A:Unable to Boot after rezising a partition

Hi .First...I don't have Vista installed as a dual-boot (or otherwise) and I don't even know if it is compatible with Vista.http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=P...mp;aq=f&oq=I've used some version of PM for about 10 years...it works best when users ask it to perform one operation at a time, even though it appears that you can have it perform several operations at once.So...if I want to delete one partition or resize one AND resize a different partition...I do that in 2 steps. I delete the partition I want eliminate or decrease the size of the one which I want to reduce. Once PM has rebooted from that...and then XP may demand another reboot...I then resize the second partition.Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/205226/unable-to-boot-after-rezising-a-partition/
Relevancy 58.91%

Hello,
I am unable to move my boot data to another partition. Please have a look at the following picture-:
As you can see I have created a separate a partition before my C drive and formatted it.

I have used the following command to copy the boot data from my C drive to the System partition(S:)

bcdboot C:\Windows /s S: /f BIOS

But as you can see C drive is still marked as "System" which means my PC isn't actually booting from drive S:.

How do I force my system to boot from drive S: and not drive C: ???

Thanks.

A:Unable to boot from system partition

Seems I solved this myself. Right click on the partition that has the boot data and set it as an "Active Partition".

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/33351-unable-boot-system-partition.html
Relevancy 58.91%

Hi there,

I've been trying for a couple of hours and can't seem to find a solution.

Now, I've installed Win 7 (Professional) on the same as XP is installed. When I try to boot from HDD, I only get the XP entries, but can only boot Win7 through.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thank you.

A:Installed 7 on same partition as XP unable to boot the former

Okay then. Nevermind. I installed the bootloader on a different partition and set the bios to boot from that partition. works now.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/149703-installed-7-same-partition-xp-unable-boot-former.html
Relevancy 58.91%

Hey Everyone-- My first post here so hope I follow protocol well enough Working on a client's PC here and could use a little help or suggestion The machine in question is an HP Pavilion a n and has a D partition for Recovery Currently I am unable to get it to boot from that partition using F to do a complete reinstall of Vista When I try F I get BOOTMGR is missing Here's what led up to this - PC would not boot and kept dropping into Vista Recovery Manager which was unable to repair the startup problem - I was going to pull the drive backup the user data off onto another disk then do a clean restore of Vista which was an available option for recovery - boot Partition to Unable Recovery to Somehow when trying to back out of everything and shut down I hit Yes at a prompt where I meant to hit No or vice versa and the Recovery Manager started to erase the C partition nice how it didn't pop Unable to boot to Recovery Partition up a dialog for me to confirm I immediately held down the power button to make it stop but it was too late-- the C drive was empty - From the user data standpoint this wasn't a huge deal-- the main utility of this machine is Webmail and Web So we elected not to worry about trying to unerase files and just install a fresh working copy of Windows However now I cannot seem to make any progress toward reinstalling Vista from the recovery partition naturally if the client ever had any restore discs she cannot find them now Despite the D Recovery partition still being intact I only get that BOOTMGR is missing error I've tried the MB Vista Recovery Disc via downloaded ISO image I can get that to boot but I don't seem to have any way to interact w the D partition other than looking through its contents w the Command Prompt Is there a quick way home here I would think w an intact Recovery partition I'd have what I needed to reinstall onto the C drive Thanks for any help you can provide Fred

A:Unable to boot to Recovery Partition

Hope this helps Fred,

Bootmgr is missing

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/282987-unable-boot-recovery-partition.html