Windows Support Forum

Tecra R950-104 HDD failure

Q: Tecra R950-104 HDD failure

Hello,

I have a Toshiba Tecra R950-104 with almost one year.
Every thing works fine except for HDD.

In this period (almost on year) i had 2 hdd failures (2 hdd had to be replaced!!!).
Fortunately issues occours inside warranty period.

Is there any issues with this machine, regarding HDD (It's a 500GB, 7200RPM Toshiba HDD).

Thanks

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Tecra R950-104 HDD failure

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Tecra R950-104 HDD failure

Hi

HDD issues do not depend on notebook but the HDD usage and notebook usage.
The HDD is an wearing part. Sooner or later every HDD would die.

Such issue can happen mostly because the HDD is affected by shocks while moving the notebook. Furthermore there are many different HDDs on the market. Some are cheaper due to low quality and some HDD are more expensive because of good quality.

So you should keep eye on the HDD quality.
But to be honest, I would never purchase an HDD for a notebook. I replaced my HDD with an SSD drive. Its much faster and more durable as an HDD

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?73823-Tecra-R950-104-HDD-failure
Relevancy 22.79%

When booting up my computer, directly after auto-detecting SATA devices, my computer regularly gives me an error that alternately reads "Primary Hard Disk Failure, Press F1 to Resume..." or "Secondary Hard Disk Failure, Press F1 to Resume..." Sometimes the word "Slave" or "Master" are there after the words "Primary" or "Secondary" in there as well. While the content of the message varies, the result is usually the same: The startup process lags after auto-detecting the drives, then gives me this error.

I have three SATA hard drives and a DVD drive plugged in to my mb via SATA. When no HDD are detached, but I have boot media in the DVD drive, the computer starts up quickly and normally, with no errors. When any or all of the HDDs are plugged in, I receive the above error. I borrowed a HDD from my roommate, plugged it in, attempted to boot up and still received the error. None of the HDD are bad, and it would be a pretty big coincidence for all four I've tested to fail at once.

What could the problem be?

A:Primary Hard Disk Failure, Press F1 to Resume

UPDATE:

When I plug in just one or two of the HDD + the DVD drive, the computer boots fine. When I plug in three HDD + DVD drive, failure! Do I perhaps need to upgrade my power supply?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/primary-hard-disk-failure-press-f1-to-resume.208761/
Relevancy 23.22%

Hi, I have a Verbatim Store n' go ex hard drive which used to work perfectly with usb 3.0 and 2.0. A few weeks ago it stopped working with 2.0 and now not even with 3.0. When I plug it in the hard disk starts to rotate and lights up normally, but is never shown on the drive list. The computer doesn't even do the beep sound when a usb device is connected. I tried on 2 different pc's but they show no result.

Any kind of help is greatly appreciated

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-failure.204788/
Relevancy 23.65%

Greetings I ve moved to another country where electricity is not stable and goes high low or even disconnect power failure many times a day So i brought an old UPS i have discovery and connected it to the outlet and connected the PC and the LCD screen to it Sometimes when the electricity goes high down the UPS seems can t regulate fast enough or when the electricity disconnect the UPS can t change to battery mode fast enough so the PC restarts I though the problem is from the UPS so i bought failure during My despite restarts UPS PC power a new one iXA PRO which also has a built in AVR with wide input range of - Vac wide range of input frequency output short circuit protection overload protection and the transfer time My PC restarts during power failure despite UPS is ms I connected the PC and the LCD screen My PC restarts during power failure despite UPS to the new UPS and connected my modem and an external hard to the old one Surprisingly when the electricity went high low or when it disconnected the modem did not reset but my PC restarted which means that the old UPS is still working and the problem is from the PC itself I use My PC restarts during power failure despite UPS a very god power supply Blue Storm - wat so any idea what the problem could be Note When the electricity goes high low or disconnect the PC doesn t actually restart it just half turned off i mean i can still hear the fans rolling but there is nothing on the screen and i have to turn it off then on Note Sometimes when electricity goes high low or disconnect the PC keeps working normally Thanx in advance nbsp

A:My PC restarts during power failure despite UPS

My guess is your power supply in your PC uses active PFC (Power Factor Control) while your uninterruptible power supply is likely rated for a passive PFC.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-pc-restarts-during-power-failure-despite-ups.159403/
Relevancy 23.22%

Hello,

Old Dell computer running Windows XP that was never backed up and I am trying to recover files and photos. I get NTLDR is missing when I boot. I've used Testdisk/Photorec to try to recover my data but when going through the recovered data it seems to be all system files that I know nothing about. I used Ubuntu on the Dell to run Testdisk. I also hooked up the hard disk to my laptop with a hard disk adapter and got the same results.I also ran a NTLDR boot disk but ended up with the same NTLDR is missing message. I dont have a XP recovery disk. Anybody that has had this issue please help!

A:NTLDR is missing. Hard Drive Failure.

Trobles86 said:

I also hooked up the hard disk to my laptop with a hard disk adapter and got the same results.Click to expand...

If you have access to another PC or laptop then you can connect the hard drive in to that machine and get the files you wanted to recover from your hard drive in there.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ntldr-is-missing-hard-drive-failure.203104/
Relevancy 23.22%

I have a HDTV consisting of a GA-P55A-UD7 and an Intel I7 processor and W7x64. It is hooked up to a Panasonic P50V10 plasma TV via HDMI. Over the last several months, I have gone through THREE video cards. The last one lasted only three days. I doubt my luck can be that bad regarding video cards so it must be something else. I have never heard of a monitor blowing video cards via an HDMI interface but anything is possible I guess. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/repeated-video-card-failure.202803/
Relevancy 22.36%

I have networked PCs before many times successfully so this is not my first time trying to network PCs in a home environment Though I m wondering if Windows is part of the problem I would have thought that for sure until one of the name credentials bad password? user with unknown even correct failure: or "Logon new laptops running W would not connect to any of the other three PCs Laptops running W Yet these other three W PCs Laptops CAN connect to this laptop Then it gets a little more "Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password? even with correct credentials interesting this same laptop that couldn t connect to those three W PCs Laptops CAN connect to a Windows desktop and a XP Laptop and those two can also connect back to it without issue It s almost like my network is divided in half and only half can talk to each other But then when I thought it couldn t get any more interesting I realized the first three W PCs Laptops can talk to the others it s just that the others W Laptop W Desktop XP Laptop can t talk back to them without getting the error quot Logon failure unknown user name or bad password even though the username and password are correct I don t fully understand this error because on the surface it s just WRONG My username and password are correct but it appears something somewhere is interfering or hijacking the authentication process Three of the computers laptops are brand new just purchased last week and setup this week The HostPC is also fairly new just purchased last month I am not using a HomeGroup and have removed all computers that were part of a HomeGroup I have enabled file sharing and network discovery and enabled Use user accounts and passwords to connect to other computers on all PCs I have DSL and am using the wireless modem provided by my ISP which has router functionality built into it It is a Sagemcom Model F ST N All computers are connected wirelessly Time is correct on all PCs I cannot use Group Policy since they re all Standard or Home edition DHCP is enabled and all computers are on the same subnet using the x range of ip addresses The six computers are as follows I figured this may make is easier to visualize the layout HostPC HP Desktop W PC Name DrsBlend U N DrsBlend p w not showing my real password PC HP Laptop W PC Name DrsBlend- U N DrsBlend P W PC HP Laptop W PC Name DrsBlend- U N DrsBlend P W PC HP Laptop W PC Name DrsBlend- U N DrsBlend P W PC HP Desktop W SP PC Name DrsBlend- U N DrsBlend P W PC Dell Laptop XP SP PC Name DrsBlend- U N DrsBlend P W Every PC stated above has the same user name and password and is logged-in with the username DrsBlend and the password The quot Logon failure unknown user name or bad password happens when trying to access HostPC PC or PC from PC PC or PC The HostPC can see and connect to all the PCs but only PC and PC can talk back or access the HostPC It s like the HostPC and PC and PC are in their own little clique and can talk back and forth to each other Those three PCs can also talk to PC PC and PC as well but PC PC and PC cannot talk back to them HostPC PC PC Profile corruption I would have entertained that thought but the fact the first three PCs can access and talk to one another kind of defeats that idea and the fact the PCs were just recently setup Firewall Disabled and disabled TrendMicro with no change With them on off the first three PCs can still talk to each other and the rest of the PCs Anyone have any additional suggestions nbsp

A:"Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password” even with correct credentials

I experienced a similar problem when I was trying to network my 8.1 machine the host network. As you say the host PC can see and connect to all of the machines, but not the other way around. Not sure if it is the same in your situation but I found that Microsoft's idea of network sharing on the Windows 8 class of OS differs greatly from previous OS's in that you can connect to it from an external host, but when trying to do the other way around it doesn't "see" the PC in question due to differing network sharing protocols included in the OS.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong, I am speaking only from what happened with my network.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/logon-failure-unknown-user-name-or-bad-password%E2%80%9D-even-with-correct-credentials.201313/
Relevancy 23.22%

I have a problem with a batch of Dell optiplex 980's, for some reason the Main boards fail at a alarming rate.

According to Dell it is the memory controller that fails.

Error Lights 1,3,4 are on nothing on screen, power led solid blue about 10 error beeps!

Dell tech replaced the main boards and all is fine for a while but same problem persists.

Also according to Dell level 6 tech, it could be over heating, I had some fun proving them wrong, two PC's sealed in a box , hammering them, Temp between 85 Celsius - 90 Celsius in the sealed enclosure, optical drive started melting, cooled the PC's for a day and powered back on, no problems!!

Does any one out there maybe have a issue similar to this on the optiplex 980, main board failures?

A:Motherboard failure issue on Dell Optiplex 980

Dell Optiplex 980 Lights 134 on no screen

Yes I have exactly the same problem. Turned PC on this morning lights 134 on plus blue power light but no screen at all. Still under warranty, phoning dell in the morning - I will keep you posted

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/motherboard-failure-issue-on-dell-optiplex-980.169232/
Relevancy 24.08%

Hello I have owned my computer for years for my birthday However in May I began having some issues When I would power on the computer the display would not turn on After a few restarts the display began to work again The display was connected to my Gigabyte GeForce GTX TI I tried the monitor on another computer and it worked fine This issue stopped for some time until one month ago The issue reoccurred and would not correct itself after multiple reboots I removed the graphics card and plugged the display into the motherboard and it worked fine I then cleaned my computer RAM slots and graphics card port After this I retried my graphics card and it has been working fine up until this point Last night I unplugged the peripherals USB keyboard mouse and headphones then plugged them back in turned my computer off and went to bed I did this because they were generating too much light motherboard failure Possible when I Possible motherboard failure was sleeping When I awoke this morning I turned my computer on but my headphones began crackling and the sound cut out occasionally I then tried another port and got a Windows message stating that there was a malfunction I have tried other devices in this port since and they work fine possible headphones broken - yet to try on another computer I powered off my computer then back on to find my graphics card no longer worked same situation as described above I have ensured the GFX card is plugged in correctly Here are my specs Motherboard ASUS P H -MLE CPU Intel Core i - GHz GFX card Gigabyte GeForce GTX TI OS Windows Home Premium RAM gig I don t mind if it is the GFX card I am looking at another one for my birthday but I don t have the money to buy both a motherboard AND a GFX card Please help me Jessica nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/possible-motherboard-failure.199227/
Relevancy 24.08%

I recently had my cpu fan fail, I woke up to a bios message indicating CPU fan error, and of course when I check it, it was just kinda twitching around. I'm not sure how long the computer was powered up with that error message, but I suspect it was around 5-6 hours. Windows was running beforehand. But since replacing the fan I've noticed the performance has dropped a little bit and the system isn't as stable as it used to be, but its not consistent. I have small issues such as short and random freezing for a couple seconds, and the computer doesn't wake from sleep mode. These didn't start happening until after the cpu fan failure and I was wondering how likely is it that there is some cpu damage?

A:CPU damage after fan failure?

You are kind of lucky That it still works. You may want to remove the CPU and apply some new thermal compound. This may help you out with the problem. Plus I am sure some one here might have a few suggestion.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cpu-damage-after-fan-failure.194161/
Relevancy 23.22%

Recently I was doing a research about a memory update for my G - LA Notebook and in many websites including the Netbook User s Manual I found that this Notebook could be upgraded up to Gb of memory So Upgrading Notebook Failure G42-365LA HP Memory I bought two RAM memories of Gb each one SoDIMM DDR PC - MHz according to researched specifications But the thing is that when I installed them I couldn t enter into the OS it sent me to the Windows Error Recovery window directly and whichever option I choose it reboots and it keeps doing that Well I tried installing just one memory alone and the result is different it came up with the BSOD giving me different errors each time I reboot the Netbook These errors are BAD POOL HEADER PFN LIST CORRUPT IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL I ve tried to reinstall the OS with memories installed but the result is the same My Notebook is a HP G - LA Windows Home Premium x Service Pack Intel Core i CPU M GHz I don t know if I was cheated by the manufacturer website and or the others websites that s why I need your help P S When I installed just one memory module I can see The Windows intro logo but just for two seconds or so And I tried to install quot Ubuntu desktop amd x quot with just one Gb memory module inserted and everything was good but it wasn t with the two cards installed nbsp

A:Upgrading Memory Failure HP G42-365LA Notebook

One of the stick of ram maybe bad. Try them each one at a time.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/upgrading-memory-failure-hp-g42-365la-notebook.197400/
Relevancy 23.22%

Checking file system on C The type to failure? close Hard Drive of the file system is NTFS Volume label is JARVIS A disk check has been scheduled Windows will now check the disk CHKDSK is verifying files stage of file records processed File verification completed large file records processed bad Hard Drive close to failure? file records processed EA records processed reparse records processed CHKDSK is verifying indexes stage of index Hard Drive close to failure? entries processed Index verification completed unindexed files scanned unindexed files recovered CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors stage of file SDs SIDs processed Cleaning up unused index entries from index SII of file x Cleaning up unused index entries from index SDH of file x Cleaning up unused security descriptors Security descriptor verification completed data files processed CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal USN bytes processed Usn Journal verification completed CHKDSK is verifying file data stage of files processed File data verification completed CHKDSK is verifying free space stage of free clusters processed Free space verification is complete Adding bad clusters to the Bad Clusters File CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the master file table MFT bitmap CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap Windows has made corrections to the file system KB total disk space KB in files KB in indexes KB in bad sectors KB in use by the system KB occupied by the log file KB available on disk bytes in each allocation unit total allocation units on disk allocation units available on disk Internal Info a d e f Q J- c Windows has finished checking your disk Please wait while your computer restarts and also ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- CrystalDiskInfo Shizuku Edition C - hiyohiyo Crystal Dew World http crystalmark info ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- OS Windows Home Premium SP Build x Date -- Controller Map ---------------------------------------------------------- Intel R Mobile Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller ATA - ST LM HN-M MBB - HL-DT-ST DVD -RW GT N -- Disk List --------------------------------------------------------------- ST LM HN-M MBB GB pd - st ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ST LM HN-M MBB ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Model ST LM HN-M MBB Firmware AR Serial Number S TBJ C Disk Size GB Buffer Size KB Queue Depth of Sectors Rotation Rate RPM Interface Serial ATA Major Version ATA -ACS Minor Version ATA -ACS version Transfer Mode SATA Power On Hours hours Power On Count count Temparature C F Health Status Caution Features S M A R T APM AAM bit LBA NCQ APM Level h OFF AAM Level FE h ON -- S M A R T -------------------------------------------------------------- ID Cur Wor Thr RawValues Attribute Name Read Error Rate Throughput Performance D B Spin-Up Time CD Start Stop Count Reallocated Sectors Count Seek Error Rate Seek Time Performance Power-On Hours A Spin Retry Count B Recalibration Retries C D Power Cycle Count D Soft Read Error Rate stab B F EA Unknown BF F G-Sense Error Rate C Power-off Retract Count C C Load Unload Cycle Count C F Temperature C Hardware ECC recovered C Reallocation Event Count C Current Pending Sector Count C Uncorrectable Sector Count C UltraDMA CRC Error Count C Write Error Rate F Head Flying Hours F CE Total Host Writes F BAF ED Total Host Reads FE Free Fall Protection -- IDENTIFY DEVICE --------------------------------------------------------- FFF C F A C D E D D D F FFF F BFC F FFFF FFF F F C C FF B F BE F C C FFFE FE DB CF AB DF C C F F F A -- SMART READ DATA --------------------------------------------------------- A B C D E F F FC FC B D CD FC FC E FC FC FC FC A FC FC B C D D A B A E F BF A F C FC FC B C D D C C C F C A D C FC FC E C F C FC FC C C C C A F F E E E C F B ED F BA FE FC FC F B E A B C D E ... Read more

A:Hard Drive close to failure?

Why is it 47C? What are the SMART errors causing it to say 'caution'?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-close-to-failure.196307/
Relevancy 23.22%

While transportation, probably my Harddisk must have moved or something, now I cant access it.
I have a Western Digital 1TB HD, and a Western Digital 500 GB HD.
Here's an image explaining whats going on! Can anyone help me with this?

A:PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable

The message

pxe-61: media failureClick to expand...

is telling you that

the CD has nothing mounted which is bootable
the HD has nothing that is bootable
so it tries to boot using the NIC interface and it too has failed
You need to investigate the MBR and the C:\ partition for validity

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pxe-e61-media-test-failure-check-cable.196241/
Relevancy 22.36%

I got this laptop in for repairs recently and it has been a very tricky one I already told the client that I don t think it can be fixed but my curiosity has driven me to keep working on it This system came in unable to startup freezes during startup or said no boot device present I pulled the HDD out and scanned it from another computer Sure enough every error check would freeze around Note that I said freeze not display an error I would have to end task to close the windows drive check Chkdsk r from command prompt resulted in the same freezing partway through Disk copy and clone software would also freeze partway So during failure - drive after Toshiba Shuts OS install A305-S6898 off Satellite I copied the users files off manually and went to load a new Toshiba Satellite A305-S6898 - Shuts off during OS install after drive failure HDD in the laptop Every Toshiba Satellite A305-S6898 - Shuts off during OS install after drive failure time the OS install disk would load there would be Toshiba Satellite A305-S6898 - Shuts off during OS install after drive failure problems Sometimes it would freeze during the quot loading windows quot screen of the windows install Sometimes it would get to the install process and freeze right after selecting the disk to use Lately the most common problem is at variable points in the initial install loading process the system will just power cycle and restart At this point I ran memtest and found no errors Just the same I switched out the RAM and still it had problems I tried multiple different OS install disks and set bios back to defaults The problem persisted never being able to install a new OS I tried different hard drives external dvd drive and installing from a USB stick Oddly enough half of my repair utilities simply won t load things like seagate disk utilities paragon and acronis disk directors either freezing or giving weird errors like quot cd drive not present quot or quot memory not found quot The only thing that will run without freezing or restarting seems to be memtest which makes me think it s not an overheating issue since this can run for hours Frankly I m stumped It seems odd that the hard drive failed at the same time as whatever component is causing this problem so I assume either coincidence or some sort of drive controller failure that caused damage to the drive as well as making the system freeze while loading most any volume Any thoughts nbsp

A:Toshiba Satellite A305-S6898 - Shuts off during OS install after drive failure

Yeah, it may be a motherboard issue... Have you tried removing or resetting the CMOS battery?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/toshiba-satellite-a305-s6898-shuts-off-during-os-install-after-drive-failure.193323/
Relevancy 20.21%

Ok here s the history of the problem I have GB Hard drive quot Samsung sp c quot and I am using it since two years with my old desktop system with this S M A R T error at the startup BIOS TWO YEARS BACK I think there are some bad sectors involved at the last part of the HDD space There were partitions initially I e C D E amp F The problem started with partition #83" attribute "1720-SMART failure failing? drive detects imminent hard failed: ... HDD error F with following issues Always took so long copying files into F System got stuck up when some file s folder s from F drive were opened and then automatic restart That time ran CHKDSK on F drive but in the middle of scanning it always restarted the PC automatically Sometimes system restarted when I was copying some HDD error "1720-SMART hard drive detects imminent failure attribute failed: #83" ... failing? random data in the F partition Whenever this restart thing happened at the start up it displayed that there is no primary hard drive detected Then eventually it came back live after - attempts always I also deleted the Partition F and then recreated the partition but same problems persisted YEAR BACK Due to above issues HDD error "1720-SMART hard drive detects imminent failure attribute failed: #83" ... failing? I left the partition F as it was and used others like C D amp E but an year before the partition E started to do things same way F was doing and at that point F was not accessible with error popping The disk is not formatted Do you want to format it now I formatted the partition F and ran following HDD tools afterwards Partition Table Doctor HDD Regenerator Surface tests for C D E was fine but when it started scanning the HDD somewhere in F partition area these tools messed up with something took so long stuck at sectors for long time without repairing it MONTHS BACK I came to know that there are some serious issues in the HDD sectors inside the last GB part of HDD error "1720-SMART hard drive detects imminent failure attribute failed: #83" ... failing? the hard disk I made partitions C D E F G The G partition was for GB space and I never opened this drive since I created it because this will cause same problem what the F was doing before NOW I don t have much issues with C D E amp F while operating them Don t use F too much to be at safe side But I feel that HDD is very slow overall and and every time I turn this system on I get quot -SMART Hard Drive detects imminent failure Attribute failed quot Wondering if it could be fixed or not and I know and understand that my hard disk was failing ever since and most of you guys will advice to back up and purchase a new one but I am still on to fix this one and as if there s any way to get it right up Many Thanks nbsp

A:HDD error "1720-SMART hard drive detects imminent failure attribute failed: #83" ... failing?

The fundamentals still apply:

for every partition ?X?
chkdsk ?X? /f /r​
The /R will remap bad sectors in an effort to avoid future I/o errors.

a} fix all partitions
b} get the SMART data and save it for reverence (it will not be reset to zero by chkdsk)
c} view the SMART data every day
d} look for increasing statistics

PLAN on getting a new HDD asap

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hdd-error-1720-smart-hard-drive-detects-imminent-failure-attribute-failed-83-failing.190152/
Relevancy 23.65%

Here is a video of what happens:

Whenever I try to game longer than 10 minutes on this rig I JUST built, my PSU starts flickering like a strobe light and then my computer freezes. Sometimes it will display a random color though out the whole screen, or just go black. I have checked all my temperatures when this occurs and they are all well below average. I have ALL the latest drivers/windows updates.

In this case like many others, my screen goes black for a few seconds but then recoveres, only to have terrible FPS (I usually get 80+).

System Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-E 3.6GHz (LGA 2011)

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 3GB (Factory SuperClocked)

HDD: Western Digital WD Blue 1TB 7200 RPM

PSU: Rosewill Xtreme Series RX850-S-B 850W

MB: ASRock X79 Extreme6 LGA 2011

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3

What should I do?

A:PSU flickering leads to GPU failure

I dunno about the rest, but don't you have to populate all 4 RAM slots?

And seriously, Win7 32 bit? Or was that a mistake..

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/psu-flickering-leads-to-gpu-failure.188949/
Relevancy 23.65%

Just wondering if this is common, or is it common to have SSDs fail after a couple of years. I've owned 4 SSDs, all for home use (OS drive) as below:
2x Corsair Nova in RAID 0 - Win 7
1x OCZ Vertex 2 - Win XP
1x Kingston SSD Now V+ - Win XP (later upgraded to win 7. This computer also was moved to another home at the time of OS upgrade).

Now, the RAID array failed and SSD was suspected after attempts to reinstall OS came up with corrupt data errors.
The other 2 just cannot be detected by BIOS anymore.

As you can see, I can't see any similarity between them. There is no similarity in programs used (not even backup programs are the same!)

So am I just unlucky or is there an issue with SSDs in general? Or maybe I'm using it wrong.... (no defrag I swear!)

A:Wondering about SSD failure rates

I have now got all of them RMA'd without a problem.

OCZ was kind enough to swap the Vertex2 to an Agility 3.
Corsair swapped the Novas to GTs. Pccasegear was kind enough to credit those for me, so I'd be picking up a larger drive instead.
The shop I bought Kingston from asked me to go directly to Kingston, but they agreed to take it back. This was the last drive I sent back so I have yet to hear from them.

Thought I'd update.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wondering-about-ssd-failure-rates.182604/
Relevancy 23.22%

Hello, again. I recently got a new hard drive called WD (Western Drive) Scorpio 1TB. So, I set it up and stuff on the back of the computer. As flip it over and and turn on the laptop I want to hopefully see a good sign. Rather, I see nothing with a Black screen and annoying 'Beeping' sounds! I tried many times to put the windows 7 disk in and it would not work and go back to the black screen and beeping noises. Please, help!

Reference:
Model : Dell Inspiron N5030
Hardrive : WD Scorpio Blue 1tb / 8 Ram / 5400 RPM

A:New hard drive installation failure

Perhaps it isn't the hd that needed replacing.

(need some background/details before any real help can be given)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-hard-drive-installation-failure.181795/
Relevancy 23.22%

Hello I am still learning so hopefully this is an easy one and I am welcoming suggestions I drive making just -- failure Hard sure! am an engineer from who played in the business world since so unfortunately that s the era and extent of my knowledgebase I am trying to salvage a dell laptop that stopped booting a while ago hard drive not found I am not worried about recovering files as I moved them all to a newer PC long ago I created Hard drive failure -- just making sure! a boot disk CD and started the system which shows the A drive as the boot files and the R drive as CD drive with additional utilities The first thing I tried was cd c and the response was quot invalid drive specification quot gt Is this the no-brainer sign Hard drive failure -- just making sure! the discard the drive and start anew PC Dell Latitude D Pentium M GHz MHz MB Memory WIndows XP Pro Goal Create a working PC for kids to use homework and exploring not gaming primarily internet browsing MS Word MS Excel Additional Questions gt Is this PC worth spending a little to restore new drive probably gt Will I need additional memory too it seemd to work fast enough when I last used it gt If the hard drive is unreadable and I don t have Windows CDs how does one re-install windows this was a pc retired by my prior workplace has product key sticker service tag etc Thanks nbsp

A:Hard drive failure -- just making sure!

It appears your hard drive is dead or damaged. Install a new hard drive, and run your reinstall. You should have no problems. But count on a long time for downloading updates using Microsoft Update.
One thing for sure, you need more memory for that Dell D600... I would put in 2 GB of Put in the largest drive you can afford. Be sure that your drive is either a SATA or an EIDE drive before you order a new one. As you probably know, that system has two memory slots for DDR PC2700. My suggestion would be to get two modules of 1 GB each... which will cost you about $35 to $40 per module, depending on where you buy them.
Because of the destruction of the hard drive factories in Thailand, laptop memory is priced very high right now... you will pay closer to $100 or more, rather than your hoped for $60.

You can get a copy of the Dell Windows CD by calling Dell or going on line... usually free... If you still have the Windows Sticker product ID on the computer. Or they are $20 on eBay.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-failure-just-making-sure.178877/
Relevancy 24.08%

Yup, sad to say. Will not show up in the BIOS.

Are there any tests or anything I can do with this SSD? Its an OCZ 120GB.

I'd like to either save it, I dont need the information on it. Or do something creative with it, (i dont know)

Anything Techspot brothers?

A:SSD failure. Any tests I can run?

Check it with another SATA lead, and on another SATA port. Also try it on another machine to confirm first.

SSD's rarely fall, and from what I've seen, when they do its either firmware related failures, or it's because defraging the disk has caused excessive write operations and worn it out. You should never, ever defrag an SSD, but many people don't realise it.

Might be worth speaking to OCZ, it might be covered by a warranty still, or have a recall for faulty firmware which might sort it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ssd-failure-any-tests-i-can-run.177675/
Relevancy 23.65%

I recently finished building a low budget gaming rig, after installing windows 7, the drivers for my hardware, doing updates...etc, my bios warned me that my hard drive's status is "BAD", I skipped this warning and booted into windows where I was informed that my hard drive could fail soon and I should back up. I should mention that I formerly used this drive in an external enclosure for almost two years before using it in my rig.

I backed up and ran crystal clear disk info (see results attached). What should my next course of action be? Could I have done something wrong in the building process to cause this?

A:Imminent disk failure?

The disk is going bad, to put it in simple terms.

It could continue for a while longer, but I would consider replacing it.

There might be an option that could repair the damage (I think), but I'm sure someone else will say if there is.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/imminent-disk-failure.177517/
Relevancy 23.22%

I am attempting to reboot a Dell Inspiron 600m for a friend. I was able to install a fresh copy of Windows XP on it. The problem I am experiencing with it is that it often refuses to start up. I simply get a few lights, then they turn off. No attempting to run the CPU/Hard Drive etc.
I would assume the laptop is fried but it does not always do this. It also sometimes starts up and runs windows with no problems.
Any ideas on what is causing this problem and how to fix it?

A:Dell laptop intermittent startup failure

Replace the system board battery. Disassemble and reassemble by removing the keyboard and tracking down the cables... especially the cable to the screen. Replace the screen inverter card... which is cheap and will be needed sooner or later anyway. Remove, clean cpu cooling fan, and replace. Remove and replace the heat sink if the metal of the old one is rainbow colored from excessive heat.
Track all cables and connections and connectors as you re-assemble.
If it is any good, this extra work, which may take four hours (after the ordered parts come in) and you will know if you are going to have a good experience or if you have wasted your time... and your friend's time.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-laptop-intermittent-startup-failure.176931/
Relevancy 23.22%

Hello again,
I've got a customer with what sounds like a memory issue. I want to run Memtest86+ on it, but there is an issue. On bootup, I get "keyboard failure" and I can't enter the BIOS to change the boot device priority so that I can load Memtest86+ from a flash drive or cd. The keyboard works fine once I'm into Windows, but I can't use it before Windows loads.
Things tried:
Reset CMOS.
Unplugged all other usb devices, including card reader internally.
Checked device manager, looks clean.

Thanks for any help.

A:Keyboard failure Dell Inspiron 580

Is it a GUI BIOS? Can you unplug the keyboard and use a mouse? Is the keyboard USB or PS/2?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/keyboard-failure-dell-inspiron-580.176553/
Relevancy 23.22%

Hi my problem is literally every harddisk i use eventually comes to a failure It started before some time when i bought ASUS laptop dont remember exactly which but it started i think it started with N it had a Samsung HDD i think After few moths there was an issue with hard disk so i sent the laptop to the service and they changed the hard disk Everything was fine then but after some months it happen again Same solution - changed hard disk When it hard disk failure Repeating happened for Repeating hard disk failure third time i was really furious because i thought it is laptops fault so i ask to refund the laptop back With Repeating hard disk failure the money i bought parts and made my own PC was a year ago It is working fine till today when HDD started to make strange noises randomly making noise like when under high activity sometimes it makes click sound - same it makes when i shut down computer and also random drops in its speed sometimes resulting in OS freezing for secs and a there is also SMART notice in the POST I know that best solution is to backup and send for exchange as it is under warranty yet but i think that it cannot be coincidence and i must be doing something wrong Few things i can think of is temperature that might have been the problem in the laptop but i dont think it is a case in PC as i sometimes checked the temperature or maybe some software i use is causing it but i am not sure if this is possible I would be really thankful to any advice into future nbsp

A:Repeating hard disk failure

adikus said:

making noise like when under high activity, sometimes it makes click sound - same it makes when i shut down computer), and also random drops in its speed(sometimes resulting in OS freezing for 2 secs) and a there is also SMART notice in the POST.Click to expand...

Not good but clearly a definitive indication of HD error(s).

I would be really thankful to any advice into future.Click to expand...

Is your fan operating? Have you blown out all the dust?

Have you ever used CHKDSK C: /F? If your system freezes and you elect to force a power off by holding the power button for 5 sec, then you should restart
using Save Mode (F8) and run CHKDSK C: /F before booting normally.

Systems just don't eat HDs - - there's something in your usage that is causing the system to not flush I/O before powering off - - NOT GOOD!!!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/repeating-hard-disk-failure.174590/
Relevancy 24.08%

Hi guys

My pc has recently been giving me problems, like it froze sometime ago while I was playing games, it displayed that blue screen with a lot of error codes and then just reboot. So now when I try to format the OS partition and install a fresh copy of windows, it always gives me an error saying that windows cannot format the drive, so please guys I realy need help all of my information is on the other partition, so please any help would be appreciated, adn if possible suggestions to fix the problem will be very much appreciated.

Thanx in advance.

A:Possible hardware failure

First, slave your harddrive to another system and you will be able to access your information which you can then burn to a DVD.

Second, while it it is slaved run a harddrive diagnostics on said harddrive,

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/possible-hardware-failure.170730/
Relevancy 23.65%

Hello All,
Desperate for some help. I have a DV8263 ea HP Pavillion laptop that isnt booting up. As soon as i press the power button the left blue light at the front comes on and the computer sounds like it is kicking in and then the fan stops but the lights remain on the HP Quickplay bits and the powerlight at the front is on but not the HD access light. The screen does nothing. I have tried to plug in an external monitor in case the screen isnt working but that doesnt nothing. Any idea what it could be?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-dv8000-failure-to-boot.170344/
Relevancy 20.64%

I bought a used HP 9100C digital sender and I get a "Network Access Failure" error message on my pc when I try to create the "HP 9100C Login with the HP software. Any thoughts?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-bought-a-used-hp-9100c-digital-sender-and-i-get-a-network-access-failure.167938/
Relevancy 22.36%

I am apologizing before I start because I have limited knowledge and hope not to waste anyone s time The story I am trying to recover a few from recovering laptop Problem drive motherboard hard data after failure data files from Problem recovering data from laptop hard drive after motherboard failure my old hard drive I have removed my hard drive from my laptop in which the motherboard crashed The hard drive is about a year old laptop years old I placed the removed drive into a usb drive enclosure The failed computer had Vista OS my new computer has Windows OS The failed drive has a password on it at the level of logging into windows When I connected old drive to new computer via usb the new computer recognized it and gave it a drive letter If if clicked on the drive I could see the files in it When I tried to go to the files that contained my data I got a message that I did have permission to open them Then the new computer continuously tried to open the file This process wouldn t stop even trying to kill it with the Task Master I had to pull the drive out of the usb and reboot my new computer questions What should I do Is this a problem with conflicting OS systems passwords too many OS I have looked at forums but could not find anything that I could understand and use Any suggestions Thanks nbsp

A:Problem recovering data from laptop hard drive after motherboard failure

Try to take ownership.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-recovering-data-from-laptop-hard-drive-after-motherboard-failure.166676/
Relevancy 24.08%

My laptop recently just stopped showing anything on the screen, its just black. The computer still starts and works fine with an external monitor. So my question is how do I know what to replace the cable or the LCD? I did some research online and it seems if it were the cable you could tap/bend/turn screen and you'd get something to display even for a moment but nothing happens, so is it safe to say its the LCD itself? Any info appreciated, thank you. (HP Pavilion DV4 2045dx BTW)

A:LCD or cable failure?

Take a flash light and shine it on the LCD screen. If you can see a faint image, the LCD back light has failed. If you see no image, the LCD inverter may be bad. It is a separate piece. The inverter doesn't fail that often though. You can change the back light but it is a pain. Whole LCD panels including the back light can be purchased. I get mine from EBay, most of the time for $150 and under. You can check the cable when you take the top apart. Unless the laptop has been abused, the cable(s) are usually okay

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/lcd-or-cable-failure.166333/
Relevancy 23.22%

mobo:

asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3/M4A88TM/

asus m4a88t-m

memory:

hynix.com/datasheet/eng/module/details/module_20_HMT125R7TFR8C.jsp?menu1=01&menu2=01&menu3=01&menuNo=1&m=1&s=1

hynix hmt125r7tfr8c

the board does no beeps, but it features MemOK! and has a dram_led... the dram_led is blinking red continuously... this is the ecc memory and the said board is supposed to support ecc... i tried reinstalling / reseating the memory - same result... i'm going to buy some other memory, but what could be the problem here? any help is appreciated

A:Mobo + memory = POST failure

Assuming the board and system is powering up...
Have you tried resetting the board? Clearing CMOS ?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/mobo-memory-post-failure.165575/
Relevancy 23.65%

Hello year old Jason here a week ago a lightning storm was brewing near my neighborhood and the power outages all went off when it went back on my computer became very dysfunctional When I press the power button on the computer I get lead into windows loading Computer power failure session and they give me options on how to run my pc Safe Mode Safe Mode with Networking Safe Mode with Command Prompt Last Known Configuration your most recent settings that worked Start Windows NormallyClick to expand Computer power failure Unfortunately none of these options actually work once I select one of the option my PC just restarts and goes back to this option however I can go into my BIOS system setup Is there anything I can do to fix my computer Here s my system information Bios Information Version Build Date Processor Type AMD Phenom tm Triple-Core Processor Speed MHz Count System Memory Installed Size MB Usable Size I m on a temporary laptop please don t expect me to be a computer guru I require assistance because I know nothing of computers but I can follow instructions nbsp

A:Computer power failure

Jason, did you have your system connected through a power surge protector? Do you have any friends who have tech knowledge that can use a digital multimeter to test your power supply?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-power-failure.164282/
Relevancy 23.22%

Hello and thank you Dell USB failure Dimension port c521 for reading the time to read this post About a few months ago I started to experience USB port failure Dell Dimension c521 a very strange problem with USB port failure Dell Dimension c521 my mouse--which many have described before-- it is basically erratic behavior hard to move it from left to right up down etc This occurs sometimes when batteries are low so I replaced the batteries and no luck then I tried switching the usb port of the receiver and still no luck i then concluded it was the mouse so I went out and bought a new mouse still the new mouse was ALSO acting erratically so I can only conclude that their must be some kind of problem with my USB ports I should note that I recently purchased a new laptop and the mouse functions properly on that computer so I don t believe it is a problem with the mouse The kicker is that my wireless card which is also USB related works fine And also my keyboard usb works fine so realistically I have no idea why my computer mouse is not functioning properly I have tried different mouse have tried different USB ports have the mouse working on diff computers but I can t get it to work on my main desktop consistently that is It works dont get me wrong but after some time it starts to act all weird for - minutes then works then acts weird and it makes it quite hard to game which is what I enjoy using my desktop for I realize this computer is a little old but I m not ready to completely retire it as it is still fully functional in many other respects Has anyone experienced this problem or have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it nbsp

A:USB port failure Dell Dimension c521

OK, follow this guide and look for the mouse drivers and delete all of them, then reboot the PC and it should reinstall the mouse driver.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/usb-port-failure-dell-dimension-c521.163910/
Relevancy 22.79%

Hello As stated in the title I get the quot Verifying DMI Pool Data DISK BOOT FAILURE INSERT DISK AND PRESS ENTER quot This only happens when I have both cables going from board to harddrive to DVDroom The wide flat one IDE i think it is called doesn t change anything no matter if i change order or the cable itself The other one sata for power is the f ckup No matter what order its in he cannot be in the DVDroom at all because then i get the message and I cant Yes installation disk another attempt DVD boot about failure, but a driver figure Yes another disk boot failure, but about a DVD driver installation attempt out where and how to change that cable for Yes another disk boot failure, but about a DVD driver installation attempt a new since it goes into the giant box under forgotten its name Now I have searched long and hard for solutions Ive changed the order of boot countless times in any variation I could think of Note I do not have the disk my comp asks for also a problem I remember looong ago I had the same problem on my other stationary computer but that got fixed by wiggling the cables a bit This Yes another disk boot failure, but about a DVD driver installation attempt time Im about to stress myself hairless over this All I want to do is to have a DVD-room its basic yet impossible gt gt gt Pls share your solutions the other sites been about other stuff like raid and sathio or something- makes me confused Here s some info System Intel R Core TM CPU GHz GHz bit windows Gb ram Motherboard GA-x -DQ ADVANCED BIOS FEAT First Hard Drive Second CD Room Third Disabled nbsp

A:Yes another disk boot failure, but about a DVD driver installation attempt

It is spelled DVD ROM, DVD RAM or CD/DVD drive. Are both the DVD and the hard drive IDE (Big 40 wire flat cable)? If you can't boot with the DVD drive connected, check to see that both the IDE Hard drive and the IDE DVD drive's jumpers are set in the CS (cable select) position. You can set the IDE hard drive to (M)Master and the IDE DVD drive to (S)Slave. They can not be the same, except when setting to both drives to CS. The giant box is the power supply. You can buy Molex 4-pin to SATA power connectors...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/yes-another-disk-boot-failure-but-about-a-dvd-driver-installation-attempt.163065/
Relevancy 20.21%

Have a "pxe-e61: media test failure, check cable" error on a toshiba satelitte L455-S5975, Windows 7

Had to replace hard drive because orginal failed. Changed BIOS to boot CD/DVD drive first, then hard drive second, to load Windows. When I started laptop I received "pxe-e61: media test failure, check cable" error. I changed BIOS to load the hard drive 1st, CD/DVD 2nd. same issue.
- BIOS does identify both HDD & CD/DVD drives.
- CD/DVD drive was working correctly right before the old HDD failed.

What else can I do?

Thanks.

A:"Pxe-e61: media test failure" error help

Go into your Bios and see if Network is in the boot order and disable it. Then try to boot again and post back what happens.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pxe-e61-media-test-failure-error-help.162394/
Relevancy 32.68%

i have a tecra s1 i have installed a internal bluetooth card but cant seem to get it to work i have all the toshiba bluetooth drivers and software installed im running windoes xp pro fresh install any help would be greatfull thanks in advance

A:Toshiba Tecra s1 Bluetooth

Is that a Toshiba Bluetooth card or a 3rd party card? You will have to find out the model number and make sure you have the correct driver installed for that card. I can imagine that there are several different Bluetooth cards available for that model laptop

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/toshiba-tecra-s1-bluetooth.161295/
Relevancy 32.68%

ive just been givin a toshiba tecra s1 motherboard for my laptop now my mate says it turns on ok with the battery and boots to windows but as soon as he put the charger into it. it turns off has anybody got any ideas on whats wrong with it bcos a think the video chip is going on mine thanks.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/tecra-s1-power-supply.160904/
Relevancy 31.82%

hi guys can any one help ive just got a toshiba tecra s1 laptop im wanting to upgrade the hard drive but the problem is a dont know what size it is 2.5 or 3.5 sata. ide i dont want to get the wrong one thanx in advance

A:Toshiba tecra s1 hard drive size

Hello Andy, its 2.5" and its an IDE and i can't go beyond 100GB if i remember correctly...
Cheers

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/toshiba-tecra-s1-hard-drive-size.160730/
Relevancy 23.22%

Help Required History gt I Asus failure access P5s800-vm BIOS have recently upgraged my asus motherboard from to meg DDR All worked great then I attempted to upgrade the video card from the existing PCI onboard to a AGP Sparkle Geforce FX DDR Followed the install instructions and was able to view the new AGP card specs at boot up Used windows XP sp for that evening and continued using all my existing browsers and utilities Downloaded the latest NVIDIA Asus P5s800-vm BIOS access failure drivers for the card all OK Shut system down last evening routine Today I can t get windows to inteface with the graphic card Upon startup I see sata primary not found and sata secondary not found but I can t enter the bios to reset the I O Tried the cmos reset and the lithium battery pull method but still can t access the bios to check the PCI AGP setting or the clock settings On reboot there is power and sound the keyboard CD drive monitor all illuminate I get short beeps and then loose the windows xp boot I won t give to a computer interface device box quot Dan Starke The Good Guy s Fox TV quot DH nbsp

A:Asus P5s800-vm BIOS access failure

The beep code you have means that the system timer is inoperable which indicates that your motherboard has failed.

All I can suggest is that you remove the new card and see if the system will then boot up.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/asus-p5s800-vm-bios-access-failure.160483/
Relevancy 32.25%

I have a Toshiba Tecra A7,I switched to Win7 resently but the areal effect doesnt work!Please help me!

A:Toshiba Tecra A7 Windows 7 no Aero

I suspect you have a rather puny video card (?Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 with 8MB-128MB dynamically allocated shared graphics memory
)to expect Aereo to work. And you need 1GB of RAM, I believe 512MB was standard on your notebook so an additional RAM chip may help. Remeber your video card is taking some of your RAM First.

You can check this web page to see what is required:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Troubleshoot-problems-with-Windows-Aero

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/toshiba-tecra-a7-windows-7-no-aero.160005/
Relevancy 23.22%

I have a tb Freeagent that got from my father back in June Its worked absolutely fine since then but ever since last night it hasn t worked a single bit The last thing I was doing was copying some files and then kaputz I have checked many forums At first I could see it come up in My Computer every once in a while frequently more like it it gave me the dreaded message You must format this hard drive Foolishly I didn t as it is my only back up drive with everything I have ever had on it since last year By the way it had been Christmas... Not failure? on drive external clicking on and off but before the Not on Christmas... external drive failure? light could completely turn off it restarts Because of that I cannot or could not copy back up or even format the damn thing at all I thought by going to sleep I would wake up on Christmas morning and everything would be okay It got worse Now I can t see it in My Computer it doesn t show up as a random drive Local Disk J for instance instead of Freeagent Drive G and it clicks on and off and does squat When I plug it in everything that I could use for it freezes until I unplug it even the safely remove hardware thing It doesn t show up in Disk Management and device manager says that nothing is wrong but when I right click on it it freezes just like everything else I didn t droop it or anything either I unplugged it for something else and lo and behold chaos ensued PS I have tried it on five computers three different cables two AC power cords four different outlets three different ports and unplugging everything but the AC cord in hopes that it wasn t receiving enough power I am not good with computer speak seeing as I m in high school so please take it easy on me Any help would be appreciated Even if its quot It s dead Jim quot nbsp

A:Not on Christmas... external drive failure?

...and it clicks on and off and does squat.Click to expand...

Sounds to me like the external drive might be kaput, sorry.

If the drive is still under warranty you can most likely send it back to the manufacturer and they will replace/repair the drive and recover your data for free.

If not, you can try to recover the data yourself but this will almost definitely void the warranty and the process can be fairly complicated.

Hope this helps.

PS: Many times manufacturers will replace your faulty device even if it is not covered by a warranty. Make sure to ask them before you attempt any repairs yourself if you aren't confident.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/not-on-christmas-external-drive-failure.158723/
Relevancy 23.22%

So i installed this 4350 in a machine that has been running it quite nicely for the past couple of weeks. Today i get a message saying the machine had shut down and was not powering on, [As in, its cold, dead, no power].

So i went and took a look at it, realized the power supply was fine. So i removed the graphic card seeing that it was the most recently installed hardware, and bingo, there was power. So i replaced the graphics card and just like that no power.

What is the cause of this?
Is it that the graphics card is suddenly shorting the motherboard?

PSU is 600W
Mobo: Asrock Wolfdale 1333-D667

A:Graphics card power failure

Your PSU should more than handle a HD4350 GPU.

I would suggest you fit the GPU to another computer to compare how it handles that. If it does the same thing, I would assume the GPU is faulty. That said, its more likely not to work than do something like your experiencing.

FYI, I ran a HD4670 with a PSU half your wattage, so yours shouldn't be an issue.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/graphics-card-power-failure.158384/
Relevancy 23.22%

I have a Targa computer for repair which was giving no signal to the screen from the Pciex card, if I connected to the onboard adapter everything worked fine.
I replaced the card with a new one but the new card is not recognised by the pc and no signal to the screen, I tried a third card but the same applies. If I connected the monitor and booted up with either card in it would boot into windows but the new card is not detected.
I am beginning to think that the PCIex slot has failed which means a new mobo, the mobo is an ASUS IPN73-BA.
Do you thonk that the slot has failed or should I look at something else before I condemn the mobo.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/suspect-pcie-slot-failure.157886/
Relevancy 23.65%

have a new HP running windows 7. my belkin wireless router works great but i keep having to go into my control panel and reconnect. several time a day if im on all day. is there a setting i can change or is it the belkin? never had a problem with my verison wifi connection. belkin is a new addition.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wireless-internet-failure.157196/
Relevancy 32.68%

Hi there,
i m just fed up with muy tecra and i want to give it a new high tech gaming makeover. I was thinking to change the motherboard cpu and hdd..Can you give me any ideas or advice where to start to find these components and if is it is worth it? Thanks a lot PC community the best ont he planet..:slurp::wave:

PS; OMG i love the smileis there are some really cool....>.::chef::darth: So Awesoooome

A:Toshiba Tecra M5 upgrade

Go new, consider Satellite P500.
http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/laptop-family.jsp?family=Satellite

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/toshiba-tecra-m5-upgrade.155710/
Relevancy 23.22%

hello i m very new to this site but i have been working with computers for some time i recently started doing little jobs on the side and well now i ve run into something that is just mind boggling some guy gave me his gateway nv laptop with windows home premium and he wanted to know if his smashed headphone jack could be repaired and i decided to take a look i have opened up many laptops before and have never had a problem HOWEVER i saw that the jack was beyond anything i could repair unless replace which he did not want so i put failure major hardware Gateway laptop it back together the guy turns his laptop on and his left click Gateway laptop major hardware failure on his touch pad wasn t working immediately i assumed that maybe i had not lodged the ribbon in correctly so i opened it back up and all seemed to be fine still it did not work so i said quot hey leave this with me over night and i ll have it taken care of quot so after much research and even re-installing windows the touchpad does not work at all anymore and now the battery won t charge and it s all just this horrible nightmare now his laptop will work when plugged in and NO BATTERY if the battery is in then it s a no go but with the battery out it will turn on but not load up windows however it will stay running in the bios WTF i m really stressing out here and the owner of the laptop is furious someone please help me nbsp

A:Gateway laptop major hardware failure

I know that you said you have worked with computers for a long time but I still have to ask if you took all the necessary electrostatic discharge precautions. Did you ground all your tools and wear an anti-static wrist band? if not, that could be the source of your problems, and if so, you're in big trouble.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/gateway-laptop-major-hardware-failure.153521/
Relevancy 22.36%

Hope I am in the correct forum

I have an old (2005) Dell Lattitude 110L
It's been awhile since I messed with it but I believe that the original problem was a virus.
Somewhere along the line someone went into MSCONFIG and checked the safeboot button...... time passes,,,, forgot that it had been set to that and attempted to completely reformat the pc. It got stuck in a seemingly eternal loop,
"windows cannot proceed Setup in safe mode" And would just continue to reboot itself. Yea, 2 years later I reset the RAM. Now I get a black DOS screen with this error code

memory write/read failure at 1F7E000C, read7C917E91 expecting 7E917E91
memory address line failure at 1F7E0000, read 7E917E91 expecting 81818181

Any ideas??

A:Memory write/read failure at 1F7E000C, read7C917E91 expecting 7E917E91

Read this; http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

Download this; http://www.techspot.com/downloads/500-memtest.html

Beyond that, you might try reseating the RAM modules. That's an old computer, they might have picked up a little corrosion.

If you can find a memory map of the motherboard, it would be interesting to note if that fault is a hardware or RAM address. Don't ask me, I don't speak "hex".

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/memory-write-read-failure-at-1f7e000c-read7c917e91-expecting-7e917e91.153524/
Relevancy 23.22%

I am using a Compaq nc laptop which came with a gig hard drive pata I upgraded to a Western Digital gig hard drive pata I am using XP with service pack I use Firefox and sometimes Explorer It worked great for about a NC6000 hard drive failure month and crashed NC6000 hard drive failure I could not reboot repair or recover I sent it back for warranty and it was replaced I still have the same problem Only a clean install would get it working again This happened repeatedly and not sure if it is a coincidence or if it is a problem with the laptop or if warranty just repacked the same hard drive The original hard drive works fine NC6000 hard drive failure gig never a problem Could it be that the hp isn t compatible with the larger disk space Thanks The original gig hard NC6000 hard drive failure drive works but both gig hard drives failed Does this sound like bad hard drives in a row or doesn t hp support larger pata hard drives nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/nc6000-hard-drive-failure.152796/
Relevancy 23.65%

hey gang,
i am d-sub. i have an acer aspire one zg5 netbook. I've owned it for several months. i turned it on recently and got this message while it was booting.
pxe-e61: media test failure, check cable
pxe-mof: exiting pxe rom
then it shows the aspire one logo screen for a second and goes blank. the mouse is setting in the center of the blank screen. i am able to control the mouse. can u help?

A:Media test failure

First, can you see anything... that allows you to remove and reinstall the driver as a first step... Looks as if you have a part to replace, if the configuration allows it... otherwise, is it under warrnty still?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/media-test-failure.152447/
Relevancy 32.68%

I am helping a friend with a laptop. It is a Toshiba Tecra TE2100 w/ XP. With battery in, cord plugged in, the green cord light is on and yellow battery light is on. Pressing the power button causes the battery light to go out and the cord light flashes yellow. Taking the battery out w/ the cord attached, the cord light is on and green. Pressing the power button causes the light changes to yellow and flashes. The system will not boot up in either case.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/tecra-te2100-wont-power-up.151780/
Relevancy 18.49%

Windows XP sp2 wont boot from hard disk.

After much to do turns out my computer doesnt recognise the hard disk.

I have a seagate 500Gb SATA hard drive, its about a year old, the computer doesnt get hot in the slightest and it shouldnt be dead. I checked the wiring, as far as i can see, its all fine.

only conclusion i come to is that my hard disk is kaput which it shouldnt be. Can anyone give me any other possible solutions to try out before i cry and/or spend money on a new one? theres a lot of data on it i dont want to lose.

If not, ill plug it in to another computer to check, i havent done that yet because it will take me hours - i can only unscrew the hard drive from one side without rearranging the room.

ty!

A:Hard disk boot failure -> computer won't recognise hard disk

Is your Seagate the 7200.11 series?

We've been seeing a lot of harddrive issues layely that has nothing to do with the drive itself but bad SATA cables aas the cause. Do you have another one you can switch out?

When you say the computer doesn't recognize it we're talking the BIOS here, correct?

Another suggestion is what you have already suggested but I would "slave" it in antother system and see if you can access it that way.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-disk-boot-failure-computer-wont-recognise-hard-disk.150755/
Relevancy 23.22%

This issue has been puzzling me for weeks now I have no idea on how to solve it due to my very low knowledge of computer hardware and it's software. I apologize if my terminology is a bit off, but like I said, knowledge of this subject is very limited. Anyways, the problem I have been having is that my CD/DVD+-RW drive will no longer recognize regular DVDs. What I mean by regular DVDs is non-burned DVD movies and DVD-ROMs such as games. My drive will still read and play CDs and burned DVDs. What steps should I take in order to try and solve this problem? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, if you need any more information or have questions relating to the issue, I'd be glad to answer.

A:Persistent failure to recognize DVDs

How old is the optical unit?
The first step is to unplug and reseat the connection to make sure its not as simple as that. if you have another cable try it. If this is a SATA drive with an older ' non-secure clip' type, they can very easily break connection. Unfortunately what you describe can also be the first symptom of an optical drive that is at the end of its life.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/persistent-failure-to-recognize-dvds.151029/
Relevancy 23.65%

Good morning everyone I don t have much experience or knowledge in the world of RAID arrays and I recently had a power surge that burned my NAS I have an Intel SS -E NAS box with TB drives set up in a RAID- It was running fine and having experienced a drive failure event due to my careless handling of the power cord failure RAID - NAS recovery? proved to me its ability to rebuild a drive from the other three Unfortunately a recent power surge literally burned the box I ve taken it in to get analyzed by some HDD repair amp recovery people but I have no frame of reference NAS RAID failure - recovery? for this Story is thus NAS RAID failure - recovery? After the surge I was able to login to the dashboard app of the box via my network It reported all drives as failed and provided no further information The repair guy is saying that of the drives are fine while the other have electronic mechanical failures in addition the RAID chip on the NAS box was fried Those three things have to be repaired in order to even begin drive rebuilding His quote for repair amp recovery was in the vicinity of My first question is whether or not this is a reasonable price My second pertains to the Parity structure of the RAID setup Because the system can lose out of drives and still retain data integrity is it possible to only repair one of my failed drives and rebuild with those three I m thinking that would bring the cost down And realistically what percentage of data am I likely to recover I d appreciate some help on this as I m completely in the dark about all of this Thanks nbsp

A:NAS RAID failure - recovery?

one hd is the parity drive; if it's gone - - so are you. sorry

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/nas-raid-failure-recovery.148362/
Relevancy 23.22%

I am having an issue booting my pc up It is a ibm thinkpad t It runs windows xp or at least it did until recently My first issue was the monitor it issues, failure? Boot possible hard drive just wouldnt start up so I attached it to a desktop monitor and when I turn it on the ibm logo appears then dissapears as it tries to Boot issues, possible hard drive failure? boot up windows it redirects me to a msg saying quot lt windows root gt system ntoskrnl exe please re-install a copy of the above file quot The pc was refurbished and did not come with any discs so I can not boot from disc I can enter the bios setup utility and reset the defaults but it doesnt change anything I have tried to boot up in safe mode to no avail it just redirects me to the same msg I have tried to restore to the last known good configuration and tried to use the directory services restore mode both redirecting me to the same msg Nothing is seeming to work Normally I can solve my pc issues with google and following others advice on what worked for them except this time I notice that although many ppl get the same msg as me most either have a boot disk or can still acces windows somehow and get into their control panel I am completely lost If this doesnt get resolved soon I might have to just put my laptop in the BBQ sauce and all I will literally eat this thing digestion problems or not i am getting that frustrated anyone that might be able to help can reply or email my hotmail seven-one thank you in advance to anyone who takes the time to reply nbsp

A:Boot issues, possible hard drive failure?

tried a program called spotmau. it tried to replace the files, and now it is even worse i think. I am getting a different error msg. and now I cant even press f8 to get to the safe mode option. not that it worked before, but i found a different one to try and it wont boot up to it. it is called new multiboot dvd. both of these programs came reccomended i am still having issues..

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/boot-issues-possible-hard-drive-failure.146069/
Relevancy 23.22%

Ok I ve been looking around online for a solution boot Latitude to D610 failure Dell to my Dell Latitude D failing to power on but none have worked and I think there are a couple details that are different from other people s problems I ll be as detailed as possible here to give a good description of what s going on When I press the power button the Dell Latitude D610 failure to boot power light comes on for a couple seconds and then goes out again and there are no noises whatsoever coming from the computer I ve tried all the combinations of unplugging the power adapter removing the battery holding down various F keys applying pressure to the buttons etc etc The thing that seems to be different with my problem is that immediately before this problem my computer had inexplicably shut down A few months Dell Latitude D610 failure to boot ago I had a problem with the computer getting very hot and completely shutting itself down I assume from overheating but it stopped doing that for a while Back when I had that problem however I was always able to restart the computer without any trouble Now the same thing seems to have happened except now it won t do anything at all Since this all started with the computer shutting itself down rather than simply refusing to start after sitting turned off it makes me think it s not an issue of a loose connection or a faulty power supply any ideas could overheating have caused permanent damage nbsp

A:Dell Latitude D610 failure to boot

Hi

the D610 ....

oveheating is never good..however that is what the thermal trip is for.

i would try reseating the memory first as loose memory can cause the laptop not to power on.

if not

first off, go here for the manual, your going to need some screwdrivers and some time.

Open the laptop up and check the CPU fan and cooler unit for blockages, its a good idea to get some heatsink paste and you will need to repaste the CPU if you remove the heatsink.

With the mobo out (its quite easy to get them out) inspect for any burn marks on the board around the components.

if you find any, then a new mobo will be needed as its probably failed, however if not reassemble the laptop and make sure all the connecting leads are seated securely.

if you have a test meter check your voltage on the power adaptor, i think its about 19volts normally on those models, but it will state on the back of the unit.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-latitude-d610-failure-to-boot.145453/
Relevancy 24.08%

I recently ran into a bit of trouble involving my Raid Drives Raid 0 Failure I have three hard-drives with GB drives Raid 0 Failure in a Raid array However after a restart the computer showed this during start-up Controller Bus Device F Function Ports Devices Port- Hard Disk ------------------------- lt Drive is controlled by the RAID BIOS gt Port- Hard Disk ------------------------- lt Drive is controlled by the RAID BIOS gt Port- No Device Detected Port- CDROM PIONEER DVD-RW DVR- Port- No Device Detected Port- No Device Detected Under the Intel Matrix Storage Manager It listed my RAID array as failed Name Level Strip Size Status Bootable Volume RAID Stripe KB GB Failed No and only listed two of my hard drives with green text You can see it does detect my missing drive but doesn t recognise it on Port- I checked the wiring and everyone works except for the missing drive After that either the window logo loads OR it gets to the safe mode selection resulting in a BSOD x B - xF E xc ------------- I tried going around in the BIOS and tweaking the settings and I only managed to startup with my backup drive on IDE However it still crashes on RAID mode even when I disconnected the other two drives Whilst I know that a Raid failure usually means all the data is unsalvageable but this happened after someone tried to wreck my desktop by uninstalling a few drivers This fits with the BSOD error code I was considering deleting and recreating my Raid array but it wouldn t solve the missing disk problem I want to ask if the Raid failure is due to one of the hard drives failing or corrupted or the result of the drivers being uninstalled If so is it possible to fix this Luckily I use my laptop when I go around so most of my data is backed up But it would be nice if I could get my hard drives working again Thanks alot if you can help nbsp

A:Raid 0 Failure

The issue is likely a corrupt partition table(PT) in the missing drive.

RAID-x creates its own PT and when corrupted, the drive is not accessible.

The first thing you will need to do is to reinstall the OS, which means reformatting.
Be sure to NOT USE the quick format method -- you need the entire disk to be low-level
formatting -- might as well do ALL the drives as you don't want to do this very often (or ever again).

Load the RAID drivers, but do not use RAID for the boot volume, just for the two data drives.

Now reinstall the OS and then deal with the initialization of the two other drives and recovering your data.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/raid-0-failure.146654/
Relevancy 23.65%

I bought a Belkin F D - A Wireless G MIMO Modem Router USB Network Adaptor for my pc about a year ago I had it installed professionally and all worked brilliantly I also have a wireles link from my laptop to the router Also great The network has an encryption key for security A few months ago I kept getting error notices saying that the Belkin Utility had a problem and had to close The connection was then managed by the Windows XP utility I now find that the utility has completely failed I can still access the internet via the F D - wireless adaptor and the Windows XP quot zero config quot utility but I keep losing connection Occasionally I have to use the repair function to find the network I have tried several times to uninstall using Utility Failure Belkin Revo reboot and re-install but the utility is still not recognised Device manager says all ok with the adaptor I tried to download and install a driver update but that failed as it did not Belkin Utility Failure find the software installed Tried driver rool-back still Belkin Utility Failure not recognised The Belkin Utility page just shows a quot quot between the pc and router and the router and Internet No networks are listed Ping test shows all failures The laptop can still connect to the router ok so I don t think that it is a router problem Any ideas guys Running XP Home SP Belkin Utility Failure nbsp

A:Belkin Utility Failure

For the record, I have since discovered that the Belkin Utility is, for want of a better word, useless!!! It is only one place ahead of Belkin Support in the "Useless" division.

I uninstalled it and now use the Windows XP utility to manage the connection. Not brilliant, but it works most of the time. I'll carry on using it until I find a better utility (preferably free).

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/belkin-utility-failure.141777/
Relevancy 23.22%

Hi I - Diagnosis help failure? possible card graphics have a Sony Vaio laptop VGN-FE M and recently have been Diagnosis help - possible graphics card failure? using it with the Diagnosis help - possible graphics card failure? TV alot using a s-video cable A couple of months ago I had some problems getting it to switch back from TV to the LCD a few times it took a couple of days to get it to switch back but it always worked when plugged into TV A couple of times I was using the LCD as normal and the monitor would suddenly go blank backlight was still on but no images on screen again turning itself back to LCD a day or two later and again would be able to see screen if I plugged it into the TV Then about days ago I was using the laptop as normal on the LCD when it went blank suddenly I tried to restart and when I did the screen was still blank the initial startup noise happened and the hard drive appeared to start but then it just restarted itself again Since then it just continually restarts itself I can hear the initial startup noise every time the backlight flickers on but no splash screen appears on the LCD If I try an external monitor at startup nothing appears on screen and also if I connect to TV nothing appears states no signal Has my graphics card failed or is it something else I have taken the screen apart but cannot find anything obviously wrong The laptop is about years old and I believe has a Nvidia Gforce card in it but not entirely positive Any help greatly appreciated nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/diagnosis-help-possible-graphics-card-failure.146229/
Relevancy 24.08%

I woke up to find that my PC boot Failure to will not start up properly Here is what I have gathered so far When I press the power button both the CPU cooler fan and the PSU fan turn on for - seconds before power to both stops completely and everything turns off I removed all peripherals hard-drive etc so that only the CPU Mobo PSU and RAM was left The issue continued I tried each stick of RAM seperately and the still had the same problem The only time something new happens was when Failure to boot I disconnected the CPU power cable from the mobo This time both fans stayed on as if the system was starting up correctly I have no idea what is causing the problem however I suspect it may be the PSU or the mobo is dead I checked for short circuits however I could not find one and there is no LED on the mobo that I could see either I do not have any spare components like a PSU to test with Any help would be great Thanks nbsp

A:Failure to boot

Was this PC working fine before or is it a new rig?

The best bet under such circumastances is to borrow a known working PSU and test with that first. Or use your current PSU on a friend's PC to see if it is working.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/failure-to-boot.145751/
Relevancy 23.65%

Hello Failure Boot help - Please Disk All Two days ago Disk Boot Failure - Please help Microsoft started the automatic updates A box came up saying that the computer Disk Boot Failure - Please help would restart in minutes and gave me the option to Restart Now or Restart Later I chose Restart Later I went to bed amp when I got up the next morning the computer was froze on the Windows is shutting down screen I had to turn off with the switch When I turned back on the computer won t start and gives the error quot Disk Boot Failure insert system disk and press enter quot At the top of the screen it states Diskette Drive B None Pri Master Disk None Pri Slave Disk None Sec Master Disk CD-ROM UDMA Sec Slave Disk CD-ROM UDMA In BIOS at the Main Screen it shows Primary Master AUTO My only other option is NONE Primary Slave AUTO My only other option is NONE Secondary Master MATSHITADVD-ROM SR- Secondary Slave NEC CD-RW NR- A On the BOOT Screen it shows IDE Hard Drive None ATAPI CD-ROM MATSHITADVD-ROM SR- Removable Device Legacy Floppy Other Bootable Device Disabled Silent Boot Enabled I don t know why the above sees my floppy drive as B It was A prior to this problem Or at least showed A in Windows Exployer I have a second hard drive in this computer and they are connected with the same cable I thought maybe the cable went bad so I changed it out but didn t help The master and slave cable select switches have not been changed since the second drive was put in over years ago It appears that the computer cannot find either hard drive so would it be logical to think that it s not a bad hard drive but something else right I have a Sony Vaio PCV-RX and do have the Recovery CD s that came with the computer I m afraid to use them without trying something else first I have some important files that I really need to try and keep if at all possible I have done a lot of reading on the internet where there have been several suggestions but I don t know what to try first since none of the problems were exactly like mine Any help is greatly appreciated nbsp

A:Disk Boot Failure - Please help

I'd start by trying to recover the files if they're that important.
You could remove the drive and connect it to another computer, or get a Linux boot disk like Ubuntu or Knoppix and copy them to an external drive.
In the process it should be become clear whether the drive is damaged or not.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/disk-boot-failure-please-help.145422/
Relevancy 23.65%

I recently bought a nice Dell XPS laptop with a failure Device driver nvidia geforce m Device driver failure series graphics card gig of ram and P mghz processor and for some reason it cant manage to play even the simplest games I ve tried a variety of small games including DnD online Device driver failure and Portal both of which worked almost perfectly on my older laptop that never had the power this one does Every time I try to play any of those or anything requiring more power it just doesn t work The screen will go black and I ll have to task manage my way out of it When I do get out of the game though there is a notice in my system tray about the device drivers having failed and just recovered I just changed my OS to Windows Home Premium -bit and it works a little better than it did on Vista But just recently it cause a BSOD with an error I didn t get to completely read before shutting down It said something about the device drivers not functioning properly and windows was shutting down to protect my machine from any damage I have tried deleting the drivers and reinstalling them I have reinstalled my OS and others I ve tried to talk to dell and no one there will listen to me they just want to delete and reinstall my drivers over and over again but thats not working does anyone here have any ideas or help I would really appreciate it lt -Anthie nbsp

A:Device driver failure

What is the source of your graphics driver? Have you tried here yet?: Nvidia

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/device-driver-failure.143027/
Relevancy 34.4%

The other day I was Similtaneously External Drive + Hard HDD failure Failure workigna t ym computer when it started to show tell tale signs of HDD failure and then would not boot could hear thrashing and clicking etc when trying to read it I was pretty annoyed about that but I thought oh well its all backed up just need a new HDD So got a new one ordered all specs reccommended by the computer manufacturer installed by a preofessional too was going well new OS flying along nicely so I went to my external HDD to transfer some data Uppon trying Hard Drive failure + External HDD Failure Similtaneously to open my tb external HDD I realise windows cannot read it although it is Hard Drive failure + External HDD Failure Similtaneously shown in quot device manager quot as a usb sotrage device My other lapotop wont read it nor a mac nor linux even with force boot command I then go to my emergency backup gb hard drive with a small fraction of my important stuff Hard Drive failure + External HDD Failure Similtaneously on it this gb hard drive WAS readable when I installed my new HDD with OS on it but I went to the tb first as it had more on But now even the GB hard drive cannot be read by a selection of computers I then plugged by GB Nokia N in and now it cannot even be read Complete disaster I have tried chkdsk macs reading all drives linux force boot commands I am quite scared that my new gb OS hard drive will fail soon too but I dont know what is causing this please any help much appreciated Regards Steve nbsp

A:Hard Drive failure + External HDD Failure Similtaneously

What OS?
Look in Event Viewer/System for any red marks that may provide clues.
I understand the initial drive failure. but the subsequent failures suggest a major problem with the computer itself. Power supply, memory IDE controller, motherboard?
A virus could do this. There may be some rogue file on the external drive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-failure-external-hdd-failure-similtaneously.142314/
Relevancy 23.22%

Hi. Can someone please tell me what the symptoms of Memory Chip failure in Graphics Cards are?

A:Memory Chip Failure In Graphics Card

Symptoms of faulty Vram usually show up as artifacts
Some examples here

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/memory-chip-failure-in-graphics-card.142183/
Relevancy 23.65%

Yeah, this error pops up every time I start my computer. It'll say this:

"Alert! Previous Fan Failure.
Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility"

And the entire screen is a blank, black color with this text only. I've been pressing F1 for a long time now and it lets me run my computer perfectly. I tried fixing this problem some time last year, asking the people over at Dell, but I ended up screwing up my computer, so I gave up. Dell really has horrible support. I guess since I just got a new hard drive, I don't want something to happen to my computer, even though I should have fixed this LONG ago.

Uhm... some basic information: Dell Dimension 4550, Windows XP, the problem started ~1 year ago.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

A:Alert! Previous Fan Failure.

You really need to take the necessary steps to replace the failed fan or risk frying something. One of my PCs is a Dell which had a fan failure with the same message as yours. In my case it was replaced under warranty but if I had let it go, I might have fried my CPU.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/alert-previous-fan-failure.55998/
Relevancy 32.25%

I have a toshiba tecra a8 and when i power it on the power light turns on but the screen, fan, and drive dont. I know the board is getting power because every know and then the fan turns on and blows out hot air. i can hear the hdd turn on evey time i power it on.

Does anybody have any idea whats wrong?

Is the board fried?

A:Toshiba Tecra A8 not powering on completely

How old is your hard drive? Have you tried shifting memory modules to see if it will boot on one, and not the other?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/toshiba-tecra-a8-not-powering-on-completely.141274/
Relevancy 31.82%

I ll try to make this as short as possible Two years ago my sister gave me a Toshiba Tecra S yes by today s standards it is old that her Tecra Harddrive Destroying S1: Entity? Toshiba company was Toshiba Tecra S1: Harddrive Destroying Entity? giving away because they were purchasing new models It sat in her closet for a year Because it was a company laptop I knew it had to have a lot of wear and tear There were several accounts on it I was really surprised that their tech department never upgraded to SP So I cleaned up the system by removing all accounts but my own I upgraded the RAM from megs of PC to two gigs and I updated the XP Pro to SP I ran Seagate Tools for a hard drive diagnostics as a standard procedure on the original Hitachi rpm It passed the S M A R T and Short Self Diagnostic Test but failed the Long test every time Also when I analyzed the Hitachi for fragmentation I was prompted to drefrag because I was showing defragmentation Here is the thing No mater how many times I defragged when I analyzed again it told me I needed to defrag Even after immediately defragging I was prompted to defrag reporting each and ever time So fast forward a number of people said with the repeated Long Test fails it was time that I replaced the Hitachi which I did with a brand new Seagate rpm a year ago Everything went smoothly and the HD was immediately recognized But here is the thing The Windows defragmentation utility constantly reports fragmentation Seagate even after defrag And I am getting the same reads on this Seagate as I had with the Hitachi Pass the S M A R T and Short but fail the Long Test every time I did the Short and Long Generic and I Passed them One other thing It now takes an average of minutes for the Desktop to load all icons I removed the HP Printer drivers and anything else that I thought might be slowing the load times No change I ve always had Avast and Online Armor free versions so that can t be it There are no infections I have noticed that updating to SP had slowed down load times but nothing of this magnitude Any ideas or advice would be most welcomed nbsp

A:Toshiba Tecra S1: Harddrive Destroying Entity?

You probably know this but I have to ask anyway...
Is this 12% due to hidden or system files?
Have you looked at the analysis report to see what is actually fragmented?
You could also try running the Advanced System Care defrag utility (uncheck "skip files larger than 1GB" under the options menu). I find their utility to be faster and better than Windows defrag.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/toshiba-tecra-s1-harddrive-destroying-entity.141332/
Relevancy 23.65%

Just set up a refurbished Dell Optiplex GX280. I received the Alert! Previous Fan Failure message once.

Please allow me a stupid question, because I'm not a computer tech...

On the BIOS Event Log, there is the one entry for the CPU Fan "Out of Range"

I can still hear the fan running, and I've restarted the computer a few times since and NOT got the message. So do I still have a fan problem?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/alert-previous-fan-failure.141198/
Relevancy 23.22%

Sony Vaio Desktop computer Windows XP SP GHz Processor GB WD Hard disk I ve been doing battle with my computer for some time now trying to get it to work correctly Many months ago I was having a severe problem getting to boot windows from my hard disk I had salvaged from my old computer so thats when I bought this one to replace It s not even a year old and now the boot failure/bad VAIO disk? PC VAIO boot failure/bad disk? can t even boot to Windows from it Symptoms Occassionally - weeks The Pc will randomly strain itself trying to respond to common tasks such as selecting the Windows Start Menu or opening a folder Often this will lead to a huge crash or a blue screen of death Sometimes when I restart it I can get back to windows but shortly after VAIO boot failure/bad disk? the same thing happens But more often than not I ll get the quot Insert Proper Boot Device quot error which is indicative of the motherboard not being able to detect the hard disk or the hard disk is gone to crap The IDE cable connecting the disk to the motherboard has inputs on one end and one on the other that one connecting to the motherboard Usually just by putting in a different end of the IDE into the the hard disk I could get the PC up and running smoothly again without any problems for another month or two Today something different happened It randomly crashed on its own while already running Windows while I was away and came back to the quot Insert Proper Boot Device quot Only this time switching the cable didn t do anything I d still get the same error I tried reversing the ends of the cable the motherboard side into the disk and the disk side to the board and this got it to at least recognize the disk because it would start booting Windows but then as soon as the Windows loading screen was done the computer would automatically restart itself Same thing happens when I tried Safe Mode Any reversing of the cables means either no hard drive recognition at all or a automatic restart when I get to Windows My initial hunch is the IDE cable is bad so I m going to try to replace it The other thing could be the power supply Perhaps one of the wires is bad Along with switching the ends of the IDE cable I have been switching between two available prong power supply wires But I haven t noticed a difference because I get the same problem using either of them I guess I just need help diagnosing the problem to see whether or not its the Power IDE Hard Disk or Motherboard or maybe even a software problem I have a lot of data on that disk I need for my work Thanks for your help Troubleshooting Ok So Besides what I did earlier I m still stuck in the same dilemna I have tried REPLACING the IDE cable I still get to try to boot to windows but it still restarts Then I unplugged all other power to see if there if there wasnt enough power getting to the device I unplugged my DVD-RW my CD-ROM and my floppy drive When I booted up It took an extra seconds on the first screen to decide what to do but on the next screen it said quot Fan Abnormal Press F to Continue Press F to enter SETUP quot In the history of my computer I have never seen this error message EVER and the fan i believe it s reffering to is the one on my video card which although works makes a abnormally loud grinding sound when the PC is booting up and well into when Windows is already loaded but eventually dies down and works quietly However this time it was not making any noise and as far as I can tell all the fans inside are spinning so I don t know what the heck is going on Oh and it still restarts after the Windows loading screen I just tried again and this time i realized the error says quot Power Fan Abnormal quot Which really sucks because that means the problem lies within the untouchable confined interior of the dangerous power supply box What s more worth it - scrapping the PC for a brand new one that I ve been wanting or saving money and repairing the power box if the latter how should I do it nbs... Read more

A:VAIO boot failure/bad disk?

I think the hard drive might be failing despite it being fairly new. It happens. It's probably still under warranty. In order to save your data you could place your hard drive into an USB enclosure or a docking station and use another PC to see if you can access and copy your data before RMAing your hard drive.

My guess is the power fan issue is probably from your CPU cooling fan. The motherboard usually monitors this fan from a special CPU fan outlet on the motherboard itself.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/vaio-boot-failure-bad-disk.140092/
Relevancy 23.22%

Hi
My house is wired by Cat 6 wiring, and into this we plug our router, a netgear dg834n. We have had this router for about 2 and a half years now and have never had a problem. However, in the last 2 months we have been getting varying degrees of network failure. At its best, the router works fine. However, when we receive a phone call it cuts out for about 4 minutes. It sometimes will cut out without provocation, and will need either the output changed from one port to another, or a complete reboot. Finally, it will cut out for a long time, up to 5 hours. This usually occurs during bad weather.
I do not understand what is going on or how to fix it.
Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks
Harry

A:Netgear dg834n inconsistent failure

see http://kb.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/2331 for firmware updates

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/netgear-dg834n-inconsistent-failure.140186/
Relevancy 22.79%

i am getting a pxe-e61:media test failure check cable fault on my hp nx9005 laptop.
i have removed the hdd from the laptop and installed it in my pc as slave using a 2.5 - 3.5 adaptor with psu. it registers in the bios but not in windows. if i then disconnect the main pc hard drive and set the laptop hdd as master and try and install windows xp using the xp cd it states no hdd present

from this i would take it as the hard drive is damaged/dead

any advice welcome, thanks

A:HP nx9005 pxe-e61: Media test failure check cable fault

So you have placed the laptop Hard Drive in place of your Desktop CD/DVD Drive? (as is what I usually do)
And your Windows version cannot see it in My Computer?

With the 2,5" Drive in place of the removed CD/DVD Drive (on its own IDE Cable)
And with the current Desktop system drive still connected (also on its own IDE Cable)

Go to start > Run > diskmgmt.msc > ok
Can you now see your drive?

If so, confirm the Volume type is Healthy and running NTFS (just like your main drive?)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-nx9005-pxe-e61-media-test-failure-check-cable-fault.138216/
Relevancy 22.79%

Hello ? Techspot,

4 days ago, I bought "Seagate Barracuda, 500GB, 7200RPM"
I disconnected my old hard drive and place New Hard Drive inside the case and connect to Raid 3 in my P5B Deluxe. Next I re-connected everything and turn on the computer.

A few min of starting, the screen say that I have "Primary IDE Hard Drive Failure" and want me to press "F1" key and I did. I install my windows. After that computer restart as normal, but the screen tell me the same question "Primary IDE Hard Drive Failure" and want me to press "F1" key"

Next it will start windows normaly. Whenever, I turn on the computer, it will ask the same things over and over again.

I want to know what is the best solution.

From
neowing.

Computer Specs:
Motherboard: P5B Deluxe
2GB Memory
Seagate Barracuda, 500GB Hard Drive
PNY nVidia 8600 ? Graphic Card.

A:Primary IDE Hard Drive Failure error message on startup

Call or email Seagate tech support. They usually have a new hard drive on its way to you within four hours, and await the arrival of the bad one to deal with any costs.
When you call them, you will need the drive or a copy of the hard drive label in your hands.
You can find additional information at www.seagate.com on how to proceed.
In some cases, if you got a "deal" you may have to deal with the Vender from whom you got the "deal."

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/primary-ide-hard-drive-failure-error-message-on-startup.138145/
Relevancy 23.65%

For some reason my PC Dell Dimension suddenly won t boot When I power on I get the BIOS splash screen and then it goes failure boot Total to a black screen with flashing underscore and doesn t go any further If I try to reboot and enter BIOS F it says entering BIOS then goes to black screen with flashing underscore If I try to go to boot sequence F or F it bleeps and then goes to black screen with flashing underscore I have not made any recent hardware or software changes to the machine I have had the machine several years and installed Windows on it from Microsoft com back in February - and its been quite happy all of this time If I put a new Windows Install DVD in - unfortunately this is skipped due to previous setting in BIOS HDD first Its running twin SATA drives - if I pull either of the HDD power leads or SATA leads it then says gt gt SATA Primary Secondary as appropriate drive not found It then sits on that message The machine is running BIOS Dell A I have not moved the machine recently I used the machine happily last night shut-down normally Then today got this problem when I turned it on I am at a loss Total boot failure - it seems that I have a large paperweight at the moment nbsp

A:Total boot failure

Thanks for your comprehensive condition of the error you are receiving

Try this:

Remove the secondary hard drive (by the way you only need to remove the Sata cable from the Motherboard end)
Also remove the data cable for your CD/DVD Drive (yes again from the motherboard end)

Then reseat your Windows system harddrive data and power cable
So presently you have your Windows drive only in your computer, fitted correctly

Then with the main power cord out, hold in your ON button for 30 secs (dispersing internal power)
Refit the power cable, and turn on

If you still have the issue, you may need to reseat your Ram, or even try another data or power cable to your Hard drive
By the way, the fault is your computer can not register the hard drive (or some other drive) connected to your computer, it will eventually time out, not that this matters. (it can also be faulty Ram, but less likely)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/total-boot-failure.138029/
Relevancy 24.08%

When I switched on my computer is not booting upand mo display comes.But CPU fans runs and other leds will glow.But no display appears.
I have checked monitor and RAM first.It does not have errors.Then my technician told that it will be due to mother board errors.Then I serviced mother board by sending it to its authorised service centre.
But after getting back the repaired mother board the same problem was found.
Then I gave back it to authorised service man.But now he telling that it will be due to processor failue.
I dont know what I have to do.My processor is 4 year old only.but it is now hard to replace since it is old model....please help me.....what i do???

processor: AMD sempron 2500+ 1.40GHz
Type : Athlon 64
mother board: ASUS K8VMX
RAM: 512 MB

A:Is processor failure?

Processor error is extremely rare... and the AMD Sempron 2500+ through AMD Sempron 3000+ are most reliable.
Of course anything can happen...
I cannot figger out how the repair person could fix the motherboard without using the processor. How did you test RAM? In another computer?
A power supply that has a bad third will do this. Have you tried replacing the power supply as a test.
Does the motherboard have any fat or swollen capacitors (Those little barrel-like devices that stick up in many places on the motherboard?
eBay has seven AMD Sempron Processors available today, and on most days... The prices range from $4.99 to $8.95 for most of them.
That seems like a good price to test whether your CPU is bad.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-processor-failure.137550/
Relevancy 32.68%

Hey guys,

I have a Toshiba Tecra S1 laptop made in 2004, I installed Ubuntu on it about 3 months back and it had bin working fine. today, I set the laptop down, and i got wierd lines across the screen about 1/4 the way from the top, then more lines showed up running up the sceen, everything was frozen so I force reboted the laptop. When I tried to turn it on I got beeping which I now know is the BIOS. the bees go, 1 short pause 1 long (pause three short pause 2 short one long) then what is in brackets just repeats over and over untill i force shut down. Its an old computer and repairs would shurly cost money I can't spend. Any ideas will be helpfull, Thanks

also, I put different RAM in it from another Toshiba laptop and no luck, even with both ram, differnt slots and anything I could think of.

Cam

A:Tecra S1 BIOS Beeping

It is probably as simple as replacing the drive. If you have the restore disk set, you can install any drive you choose to purchase. Then use an external enclosure to copy your files from the old drive to the new...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/tecra-s1-bios-beeping.136366/
Relevancy 23.22%

Hi we ve been having a problem floppy failure, Boot drive? faulty with our pc sometimes about of all bootups approximately it freezes on the very first screen The screen is showing something to do with the graphics processor a logo or brand name or something however we changed the graphics card and this did not fix the problem so perhaps its something to do with the motherboard s own graphics unit The motherboard is an ms- Btw One thing we have noticed is that you can tell when the boot is going to fail because the floppy drive does not make its usual clicking noise which it does on a successfull boot So the question I Boot failure, faulty floppy drive? have for any of you who may know could it be something up with the floppy drive causing the system not to boot up Apart from removing the floppy drive is there anything we could do We have also replaced the Hard drive and that hasn t fixed the problem Thanks for any help Tom nbsp

A:Boot failure, faulty floppy drive?

It would be easiest to change the boot order in the BIOS to the hard drive first with the floppy drive and optical drive after the hard drive. It doesn't matter that much which is second or third. This way it should skip over the floppy and boot from the hard drive. If you still have trouble booting, there may be something wrong with the hard drive. If it's fine, then there might be something wrong with the floppy. You could just disconnect it, remove it or replace it. Your choice.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/boot-failure-faulty-floppy-drive.136382/
Relevancy 20.21%

My boyfriends mother gave me a dell computer that she messed up by triing to reformatt it. I can't for the life of me figure out the password, she told me what it was but it doesn't work. I tried to run setup from the dell loading screen but it says "keyboard failure" but the keyboard works just fine to guess at passwords. It says the same thing if I try to run the boot menu and boot the OS from disc. Would someone please help me, I really need to get this computer up and running and my hands are tied....thanks.

A:XP Pro reformatted, can't log in, can't run setup, says "keyboard failure"

We can help you with a lot of things, but not passwords. TechSpot, as a matter of policy, does not get involved with password issues.
Tell us brand, model, and hardware configuration of your computer... including the Service Tag off the label on the back.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/xp-pro-reformatted-cant-log-in-cant-run-setup-says-keyboard-failure.136013/
Relevancy 23.65%

hi
i download file "61M29306.zip" from techspot.com/drivers/driver/file/information/12183/
and run this files "WinFlash.exe" to update my bios and my pc reboot but no boot at secend time plz help me
my mainboard is "ECS GeForce6100PM-M2(V2.0)"

A:BIOS flash failure

Unplug the PC. Pull the CMOS battery off the motherboard for a few minutes, then reinstall it and power on the computer...

Sometimes "BIOS flash failure" means that a new motherboard is in your future

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bios-flash-failure.135822/
Relevancy 23.22%

- - AM hi folks need some abstract thinking first of all The screen went to vertical wide spaced lines upon installation of SONY Handycam PMB Ver upon the cd disc eject Software removal did not repair Upon restart the blue motion bar graph is garbled looking and exceeds the box it runs in to the right including holes the machine would not get past start xp splash screen before it freezes up Restoring to a Qosmo G15-AV501 Toshiba recovery failure prior date did not work Safe mode would open prior to recovery disc installation but included equally wide spaced wide lines Cannot use out board monitor feature Recovery Format CD runs with PERFECT fullsize SCREEN with no lines to completed cycle of recovery Windows still Toshiba Qosmo G15-AV501 recovery failure fails after recovery the same as before on start up Safe Mode DOS driver loading screen window is FINE Safe Mode stops due initial setup not being completed Tried to upgrade the Bios qg v exe will load fine the upgraded Bios qg rv fails due Toshiba Qosmo G15-AV501 recovery failure to as follows the change bios upgrade failed Toshiba Qosmo G15-AV501 recovery failure because the bios installation diskett recconized the existing bios as a G BIOS ROM G v BIOS FILE G V The system has a NVIDIA G-FORCE FX video system its latest driver qg videonx exe does not have a diskette install method if the stock video driver is bad any suggestions on where to start now other than a high dollar door stop thanks nbsp

A:Toshiba Qosmo G15-AV501 recovery failure

Safe Mode stops due initial setup not being completed.Click to expand...

What do you mean by this? What happened with setup?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/toshiba-qosmo-g15-av501-recovery-failure.135815/
Relevancy 23.22%

hi folks need some abstract thinking first of all The screen went to vertical wide spaced lines upon installation of SONY Handycam PMB Ver upon the cd disc eject Software removal did not repair Upon restart the blue motion bar graph is garbled looking and exceeds the box it runs in to the right including holes the machine would not get past start xp splash screen before it freezes up Restoring to a prior date did not work Safe mode would open prior to recovery disc installation but G15-AV501 recovery failure Toshiba Qosmo included equally wide Toshiba Qosmo G15-AV501 recovery failure spaced wide lines Cannot use out board monitor feature Toshiba Qosmo G15-AV501 recovery failure Recovery Format CD runs with PERFECT fullsize SCREEN with no lines to completed cycle of recovery Windows still fails after recovery the same as before on start up Safe Mode DOS driver loading screen window is FINE Safe Mode stops due initial setup not being completed Tried to upgrade the Bios qg v exe will load fine the upgraded Bios qg rv fails due to as follows the change bios upgrade failed because the bios installation diskett recconized the existing bios as a G BIOS ROM G v BIOS FILE G V The system has a NVIDIA G-FORCE FX video system its latest driver qg videonx exe does not have a diskette install method if the stock video driver is bad any suggestions on where to start now other than a high dollar door stop thanks nbsp

A:Toshiba Qosmo G15-AV501 recovery failure

Reload Windows

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/toshiba-qosmo-g15-av501-recovery-failure.135817/
Relevancy 32.25%

Unfortnately my tecra s1 was knocked from the coffee table onto the floor, the display immediately turned white. When I rebooted there was no display at all (just black)
The computer is working as I connected it to an external display and that was fine. I tried to folow various trouble shooting guides online showing how to take the notebook apart and to reseat the display connector onto the motherboard however this did not cure the problem.

I did notice that coming from the display was a large bunch of wires going into a connector which is the one I reseated, on the right hand side of the display is a white and black wire going to a connector and a pink wire which just seemed to be floating, I could not see where it had come from. Does anyone have any ideas regarding this wire or any other tips which may help me.

A:Toshiba tecra s1 display problem

You may have knocked the inverter lose. It is difficult to fix, as it rests behing the screen at the bottom... and you have to remove as many as 22 screws to get to it.
Or you may have dislodged the ribbon cable that goes from the system board to the screen at a hinge point.
That is easier to repair. Remove the keyboard by removing all the screws from the bottom of the computer, then remove the bezel and other parts around the keyboard. You will find a wide flat cable that is very thin. unplug and reseat that cable and all others.
Sometimes you will get lucky. But you really need a friend or a tech who is familiar with screen problems, and all the components in the computer...
As you probably know, it costs about $150 to have it repaired because of the time involved in doing the work... and the possible parts neede.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/toshiba-tecra-s1-display-problem.134879/
Relevancy 23.22%

I am connecting my Lg Vu to my system via USB data cable.
The phone says "USB Mass Storage Connected as Mass Storage Mode Do not disconnect during transfer"
This has worked before, but this time, the system will not recognize the phone's presence.
Tips on how to connect the two devices?

A:Mass Storage - failure to recognize

I'd try (in the following order)
1. Make sure all Windows updates are applied. See USB Device Problems? Check for Windows Updates
2. Windows only deletes old USB connection data when you uninstall the device (not when you disconnect). This can sometimes cause device conflicts, etc. Remove all old USB connection data See How to use the DriveCleanupTool
3. Your computer's USB port may not be supplying sufficient power to the connected device
> If your USB device has it's own AC adapter, connect it as well
> Disconnect all other USB devices except the one
> Try a different and shortest USB cable
> Get a USB hub that can supply 1000mA! According to the USB spec, USB ports don't need to supply more then 500mA but i sometimes see devices fail because they want more power then the 500mA spec. Try using a USB external hub that can exceed the spec (supplies 1000mA port)
===> I happen to use this Targus
===> But you can google for usb hub 1000mA or check your computer store for one. Then try connecting all your hi powered devices into the 1000mA USB port

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/mass-storage-failure-to-recognize.134882/
Relevancy 19.78%

Hey I not Power does advice power system really some failure, up, need don t normally ask for advice on forums as usually the problems I have had are already fixed on forums such as these ones but recently I ve hit a really annoying bump I ve recently upgraded my system to make better use of my audio recording equipment and programs such as InDesign and Photoshop I bought a new CPU setup and it worked better than I had imagined even some games that I thought I d never play I ve Power failure, system does not power up, really need some advice already completed without hassle no slowing none of that so on that note I d like to say well done AMD Now the problems started with my new graphics card a few months after buying it the fan goes nuts lots of noise really annoying I usually leave my PC on overnight and the fan hit a point where it would speed up make lots of noise stop and repeat So I would then block the fan from spinning turn off the graphics card sometimes the whole PC and go to sleep This never seemed to harm the card as it would work brilliantly when I let the fan go Then it started to overheat for example games would start slowing I would put my hand near the GPU and it would be searing I found other ways to cool it down such as a massive fan pointed into an open PC but I couldn t understand why the fan wouldn t spin or at least the heatsink be sufficient enough for the PC s sleep night tasking state However this is a simple problem easily fixed by making sure I keep the GPU cool until I find a new fan then something horrific happened I come back from a night out watch a film on my PC stop the film half way through and fall asleep I wake up my PC is off and will not power up in any way I took out the GPU straight away and had noticed the fan was clearly not spinning last night because it had all warped and melted It s easily a cause of a restart or a sudden power loss but checking through systems inside it s hard to find anything wrong anywhere else The CPU is fine and there s nothing wrong physically on the board I took out the PSU and checked anything that resembles a fuse nothing s blown this was confirmed by doing my own little test by plugging my external soundcard into the USB and adding power to the system you hear a boom when the TASCAM receives power and sends a signal to the speakers The motherboard as far as the USB recieves power Now I m bummed I don t know what to do next and I ve tried searching up on topics similar They re usually from around and beforehand where PSU s usually are the culprit or the motherboard has blown in some way These newer systems I have now I don t understand as well and it s hard to tell if I could fix it or have to replace something I really don t want to replace anything as I can t afford to until a month from now If something needs to be replaced however please help me figure out what money is tight so I d like to crack this problem on the head Thanks and I hope you get back to me soon nbsp

A:Power failure, system does not power up, really need some advice

Your warped and melted video graphics is pure evidence that you have to upgrade the video card, and deal with your computer cooling system at the same time.
First, disassemble your CPU from your CPU fan so you can replace the thermal paste with the thinnest possible layer that will enable the cpu to connect with the cooling fan assembly.
Then look at the amount of dust, dirt, fibres and hair. Are air ports blocked?
You might want to replace the CPU fan as wll. It is smart to replace all fans every year or so.
The cost of cooling fans is low. They might be next on your budget for replacment.
You may not be able to afford it, but I would not run the computer until you can do some simple upgrades.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/power-failure-system-does-not-power-up-really-need-some-advice.133455/
Relevancy 23.65%

Hi guys I was working on my PC when it has frozen so my RAID How failure? 0 recover from to only option was hard shut down after that my RAID disk array stopped working Now not only it doesn t work but my MB K N SLI fails to recognize even single drives when array is turned off on every SATA port except one So I though my only option is to connect my drives to another PC and try to recover my data that way I m searching the web and trying different approaches for days now It s nvidia quot fake raid quot I know I shouldn t have used it in a first place and software that I tried to recover it with is Diskinternals Raid- -raid and Diskinternals Raid Recovery Both recognize the stripe array but I do not see how I can recover any data from it It also reports some problems Here is log output Code Enumerating volumes WDC How to recover from RAID 0 failure? WD AAKS- A B Partition C Partition D Partition Partition Partition Partition Partition Partition Partition Hdd How to recover from RAID 0 failure? Serial number WD-WCASY Enumerating volumes WDC WD AALS- L B Partition Read Error The drive cannot find the sector requested Disk Sector Size bytes Partition Hdd Serial number WD-WMASY Enumerating volumes WDC WD AALS- L B Wrong block signature Magic Partition Hdd Serial number WD-WMASY Total time nVidia detect CheckSum Error nVidia detect CheckSum Error Create Raid params Name STRIPE T Type Stripe Base DiskCount SizeInSector SectorSize StripeSize Disk D Start Size Disk A Start Size Enumerating volumes STRIPE T Stripe RaidDevice Open Storage already open Partition RaidDevice Open Storage already open Partition RaidDevice Open Storage already open Partition RaidDevice Open Storage already open Partition RaidDevice Open Storage already open Partition STRIPE T raid storage TRaidDevice Open norm Create Raid params Name STRIPE T Type Stripe Base DiskCount SizeInSector SectorSize StripeSize Disk D Start Size Disk A Start Size Create Raid params Name STRIPE T Type Stripe Base DiskCount SizeInSector SectorSize StripeSize Disk D Start Size Disk A Start Size WDC WD AAKS- A B WDC WD AALS- L B WDC WD AALS- L B STRIPE T Stripe The filesystem is ext and linux swap for two partitions on the raid It there any way to diagnose the problem and try to fix it I also do not have enough free space to de-stripe it into image Is there any way to mount it Maybe under Linux too but I would have to set raid parameters manually or autodetect from HDD because the current MB doesn t support sw raid and both drives are connected as single ones Thanks nbsp

A:How to recover from RAID 0 failure?

RAID-0 is a nightmare in the situation. *IF* you had a backup the solution would be

install new HD (one or more)
create the array
restore the backup
As is, you might send the HDs to a commercial Data Recovery company and hand them your checking book, but short of that, I think you're S.O.L. (* Out of Luck)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-recover-from-raid-0-failure.131446/
Relevancy 23.65%

I have a Dell Dimension 9150 that only has USB ports (no PS2) and for no particular reason, the keyboard drop dead. I have checked both the mouse and keyboard on another computer and they work perfectly and I have tried others that I know to work and they won't work either.

The Pheonix Bios gets almost to the end and then says "keyboard failure", and asks me to press F1 or F2 (now that is pretty screwed up). I can't press anything.

I have followed other advice and reset the bios, drained the system of power, removed the lithium battery, checked the physical ports etc etc etc.

At the moment, the only answer is to buy a new computer - not happy. The computer is only 18 months out of warranty.

HELP!!!

A:USB Keyboard Failure in BIOS

Do new USB keyboard and new USB mouse work on your motherboard?
Have you reinstalled or updated your Chipset drivers?
Can you find a way to get to the System->Hardware list? Any red or yellow flags?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/usb-keyboard-failure-in-bios.130302/
Relevancy 31.39%

So i have BIOS A8/ problem Satelite reset 120 Tecra Pro Toshiba been Toshiba Tecra A8/ Satelite Pro 120 reset BIOS problem trying to get this Toshiba Tecra A Satellite Pro to boot but when I push power it goes directly to a screen that says quot Password quot and after a few attempts it says Not Certified Shutting down system I opened the laptop up to see if i could find any jumpers to clear CMOS and i found two solder plates and the words RESET above them I shorted the two plates while pushing power and the Toshiba Tecra A8/ Satelite Pro 120 reset BIOS problem boot started but then held up I released the short and the computer began to boot but then went to the normal password screen but this time it said quot ALERT System protection failure Password Toshiba Tecra A8/ Satelite Pro 120 reset BIOS problem quot I am assuming that maybe i cleared the BIOS password but when it starts to boot and sees there is a password on the hard drive it gets confused and sends the error saying the system protection has been tampered with However when i boot without a hard drive it does the same thing Does anybody have any suggestions or previous experience with this message A google search only showed three sites in Spanish with that phrase so i guess its not too common Any help would be greatly appreciated nbsp

A:Toshiba Tecra A8/ Satelite Pro 120 reset BIOS problem

The only password help available on Techspot is to be found in this thread... http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic109612.html
Other threads / requests are normally deleted within a short time. Do not be surprised when this one is deleted.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/toshiba-tecra-a8-satelite-pro-120-reset-bios-problem.130971/
Relevancy 24.08%

hi friends,
DVD/CD is not detecting.Now i am beta version of windows 7 .so i thought the problem may be with OS. I thought to reboot the system with vista but couldnt as my dvd for booting is not detected.there is no probelm with drive i think so as light is blinking. give me ur suggestion to solve the problem

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/failure-to-reboot.130836/
Relevancy 31.39%

i have this laptop, the specs are, 256 ram, pent 3 m 933 mhs cpu, win xp home sp3, savage graphics, chipset???????
the problem is that i got this machine without a hdd, so installed one and installed xp home, the drivers came via driver detective, but i had probs downloading the chipset drivers which i think is the reason i dont have sound from the laptop, so a manual search of the model and CPUZ stated the chipset was intel I830mp, i went to intel web site and the advisor on there said i had no compatable intel chipsets and the chip set was by savage, i down loaded the chipset that was suggested by intel adviso and still no sound, i really belive that the chipset is intel, any help would be appreciated

A:Toshiba Tecra 9000 chipset/sound problem

the audio drivers wont work properly unless the chipset is installed correctly, the chipset link on the toshiba site is broken and wont work.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/toshiba-tecra-9000-chipset-sound-problem.130548/
Relevancy 23.22%

Hello

I have problem with my external harddrive, i connect my hard drive with USB port and it showing the icon in my computer,but when i trying to opening it, an error message is showing G "/is not accessible, "the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable" so i cant open my hard drive. help me sir. i have lot of stuff in my hard drive

A:Hi, external hard drive failure

I suspect a moderator will move this thread to the correct category.

But for now, I'd suggest to run chkdsk on your drive as it may not be the drive itself that is corrupt but rather the file structure.

Make sure your hard drive is plugged in
Check what drive your external HDD is eg. D: or E:
Access your command prompt by Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt
Type chkdsk /f /r D: (if your directory path is D:, otherwise replace this with the correct path then press enter
This scan will take around 45 mins to 1 hour depending on how many files you have or how much needs correcting

Note: You will not need to restart your machine for this

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hi-external-hard-drive-failure.129881/
Relevancy 23.22%

I need to update the bios on my pcg-c1vp sony vaio netbook"PheonixPhlash Error File open failed on PLATFORM.BIN press any key to exit". The bios is the one that the sony vaio website links to "Phlash5.zip" containing "Phlash5.exe".

Maybe i need to run it outside of windows, but im updating the bios because it won't recognize any external boot formats. Its running windows xp pro at the moment and that is the only capacity that it will boot in.

A:Phoenix bios flash failure

Sony should have Bios Flashing instructions on their support website. Find them! Most of the time bios are flashed outside of Windows using a bootable floppy or CD/DVD disc

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/phoenix-bios-flash-failure.129716/
Relevancy 23.65%

Hi guys Im having trouble on my desktop for a week one day when i turned on my pc after running it for mins the monitor turned black but the What card the failure? causes video cpu has lights turned on I reset it then it asked me to open it on safemode or normal windows i chose normal windows and it started After a couple of minutes the What causes the video card failure? monitor turned black again I ve tried to turn off and on the monitor switch but it didn t help So it makes me wonder what the problem is I press the reset button again but I have a suspicion that it might be the monitor that has a problem when the window started I open my media player and play continuous songs after a minute it turned black again BUT the song continuously playing then after a minute the song stoped So im am sure t is not the monitor I tried to open it in safemode to do some investigations and it What causes the video card failure? was not shutting down even for an hour I made some diagnostic tests and all hardwares have passed I ve tried to re-seat the memory card and video card but when i run it in normal windows same thing happened I had a suspicion that it could be virus so i reformat it days ago after reformatting same thing happened but this time lines started to appear on the screen the graphic looks weird it almost have -color display on it I ve checked the video card in device manager and it says it is not functioning So my video card got broke Now i am wondering during the past few days the graphics look good but as i am trying to troubleshoot it myself again and again the video card is now broken As i remember days ago when i made a dell diagnostic test for hardware parts everything has passed but now it is saying that my video card is not functioning Any idea that its really my video card got broken or are there other hardwares mulfunctioning causing the problem and hit my video card What causes the video card failure I do pc gaming I do d modeling but i use my machine for an average of hrs a day It was so dissapointing because my desktop is just mos old It is Dell XPS with nvidia geforce gt mb ddr And unfortunately the warranty is expired Any help would be really appreciated Thanks in advance nbsp

A:What causes the video card failure?

any advice from the gurus outhere?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/what-causes-the-video-card-failure.129266/
Relevancy 23.65%

I am not sure if this is a hardware or software issue but it has me puzzled, basically the computer will not reboot but halts part way into booting into windows, sometimes at the initial windows xp screen except the screen is very dark and faint, sometimes it just stops at a black screen. If I switch it off leave it for a bit and switch it back on again it will happily boot into windows and runs fine.
Thinking it may be a windows problem I reformatted the new hard drive and reloaded windows but still the same problem. I have checked the memory and hard drive and as far as I can tell everything appears to be OK.
This computer was originally given to me to replace the hard drive as the original one had failed although the pc would restart without a problem.
Hopefully one of you guys has some words of wisdom for me.

A:Computer restart failure

Since it came to you with this problem, then you have some clues...
This is not a Windows Error... and may be difficult to track down.
Clean the case... NOT with a Vacuum cleaner. NOT with compressed air. A rag with denatured alcohol and a can of dust off would be good tools for that.

Then, once clean, I would suspect the cables, the cable sockets, and the power supply.
Remove and reseat every cable. Replace the Ribbon cables if EIDE and not SATA
If SATA, they are infamous for having bad cables... replace them and do NOT go cheap... Good SATA cables cost money.
Replace the power supply to test. Does it work better with the different power supply? If so, replace.
Please let us know what happens.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-restart-failure.129274/
Relevancy 23.65%

Hey everyone. I just replaced my motherboard and am attempting to format my harddrives and reinstall Windows XP. However, I am getting the disk boot failure error when attempting to boot from the Cd rom. I configured BIOS to boot only from the cdrom, tried my other cd drive, and another copy of Windows Xp with no success. What could be causing this? Any suggestions are appreciated!

A:Disk Boot Failure

Does the bios see the CDROM? Sounds like the computer is still trying to boot from a hard drive. Reset the bios to failsafe defaults. Are the hard drives SATA or IDE?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/disk-boot-failure.129256/