Windows Support Forum

Wiped my HDD's removing Win10, no boot sector or partition, ...

Q: Wiped my HDD's removing Win10, no boot sector or partition, ...

I just purchased an Envy - c with Win Not liking that OS I attempted to remove it couldn't so I wiped the drive including partitions recovery everything I then formatted it to the Win spec no partitions one T HDD which i made HD and one G HD they both have been wiped and reformatted I changed the boot sequence to boot to the CD first enabled legacy devices sector partition, or ... no my Wiped removing Win10, boot HDD's I understood that installing a new OS would reinstall a boot sectore etc nbsp With a newly purchased Win Pro disc the machine will boot to the CD open the language time and currency format keyboard menue but i have no Wiped my HDD's removing Win10, no boot sector or partition, ... keyboard of mouse to make a selection to continue the install Mouse and KB are USB devices and ports are all enabled nbsp I have tried everything I know to get this thing up and running I'm relatively computer savvy having started many years ato with a Commodore and tons of computer repair and configuration in the past This thing has me baffled and I need to get it going nbsp Thanks for the support Solved View Solution

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Wiped my HDD's removing Win10, no boot sector or partition, ...

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Wiped my HDD's removing Win10, no boot sector or partition, ...

Normally the plastic piece in the middle of the port is blue, in comparison to the other USB ports, and those marked with SS are going to USB 3.0. The SS is supposed to indicate high (super) speed. A port with a lightning bolt in the symbol is going to be a high power USB port, appropriate for charging devices via USB. I hope that helps.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/Wiped-my-HDD-s-removing-Win10-no-boot-sector-or-partition-no/td-p/5575590
Relevancy 74.82%

Backstory One old boot help the removing sector. a Need with in virus crappy computer died I build a nice new one I took the old Need help with removing a virus in the boot sector. hard drive and put it in an external enclosure figuring after I moved the files I wanted I could re-format the drive and use it as a back up unit for all my computers I suspected there might have been a virus on the old computer because it was acting goofy before it died Anyhoo I updated my antivirus software and virus definitions first then proceeded to hook up the old drive via the USB cable and new external enclosure to my new computer Bam Virus detected I figured quot No problem quot right Wrong This virus Boot Tidserv B is not coming off the old drive and has now infected my new system CRAP LOL I ve since downloaded Norton Power Eraser and performed several Safe Mode reboots to remove this virus without any luck Any help would be appreciated Thanks in advance Chuck Intel Core i Ghz GB RAM Windows Home Premium Bit

A:Need help with removing a virus in the boot sector.

Hello.Let's try this.Please download the TDSS Rootkit Removing Tool (TDSSKiller.exe) and save it to your Desktop. <-Important!!!Be sure to download TDSSKiller.exe from Kaspersky's website and not TDSSKiller.zip which appears to be an older version 2.3.2.2 of the tool.Double-click on TDSSKiller.exe to run the tool for known TDSS variants.
Vista/Windows 7 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.If TDSSKiller does not run, try renaming it.To do this, right-click on TDSSKiller.exe, select Rename and give it a random name with the .com file extension (i.e. 123abc.com). If you do not see the file extension, please refer to How to change the file extension.Click the Start Scan button.Do not use the computer during the scanIf the scan completes with nothing found, click Close to exit.If malicious objects are found, they will show in the Scan results - Select action for found objects and offer three options.Ensure Cure (default) is selected, then click Continue > Reboot now to finish the cleaning process.A log file named TDSSKiller_version_date_time_log.txt (i.e. TDSSKiller.2.4.0.0_27.07.2010_09.o7.26_log.txt) will be created and saved to the root directory (usually Local Disk C:).Copy and paste the contents of that file in your next reply.***************************************************Please download RKill by Grinler from one of the 4 links below and save it to your desktop.Link 1Link 2Link 3Link 4Before we begin, you should disable any anti-malware software you have installed so it does not interfere with RKill running. This is because some anti-malware software mistakenly detects RKill as malicious. Please refer to this page if you are not sure how to disable your security software.Double-click on Rkill on your desktop to run it. (If you are using Windows Vista, please right-click on it and select Run As Administrator)A black screen will appear and then disappear. Please do not worry, that is normal. This means that the tool has been successfully executed. If nothing happens or if the tool does not run, please let me know in your next reply***************************************************Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.alternate download linkIMPORTANT!!! - when you save the file, rename it to something random, such as bubbles.exe This must be done before beginning the download!MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.Make sure you are connected to the Internet.Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:Update Malwarebytes' Anti-MalwareLaunch Malwarebytes' Anti-MalwareThen click Finish.MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.If you encounter any problems while downloading the definition updates, manually download them from http://data.mbamupdates.com/tools/mbam-rules.exe'>here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.On the Scanner tab:Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.Then click on the Scan button.If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".Cl... Read more

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/416689/need-help-with-removing-a-virus-in-the-boot-sector/
Relevancy 73.96%

I have gone through hours upon hours of work to try to seperate my windows hard drive from my XP's boot sector I managed to get it to work but with a catch I now have windows 's and the junk one is being used as the boot partition Right now I am running without my XP HDD to make things simpler The HDD I have has partitions are meant for operating systems and the other for game storage The first partition on the HDD is my main windows partition The second partition is another windows instal that I installed boot Moving sector partition another to on it to get the boot sector to work The boot sector now lives Moving boot sector to another partition but it is on my second junk partition I want to move my boot sector from the second partition to the first where it should have been in the beginning However I have been having trouble doing so and thought I would get input from people that have done this before spending hours trying to figure out how to do it After moving I want to delete my second partition and clone my XP drive onto it but that is a different issue that can wait

A:Moving boot sector to another partition

Please post back a screenshot of your maximized Disk Management drive map with listings using the Snipping Tool in Start Menu.

The normal procedure is to mark the Win7 partition Active to run Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times until it boots on its own and has the System flag on it.

However there can be complications if the partition is Logical and must be converted to Primary first to be marked Active. There are other factors which make seeing the screenshot necessary first.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/228615-moving-boot-sector-another-partition.html
Relevancy 73.96%

Hi

I've been having trouble booting up and this morning it wouldn't boot at all.

A "notice" came up suggesting a repair on the boot system and the result was "Boot Sector for system disk partition is corrupt 0 x 490"

The Computer is an HP EliteBook 8460w
Windows 7
250 Gb SSD

I have succeeded in booting from the battery. (no power pack)

I tried this as a previous HP also had a boot problem which also booted from the battery. I replaced the power pack on that occasion and had no further problem.

I haven't, as yet, tried to boot from a replacement pack but I have powered it from an after market power pack and kept running.

I have backed up all my data using Synctoy and also a windows backup.

Any advice?

Thanks

Graeme

A:Boot sector partition corrupt

OK, what I have tried to do is run the windows installation disc which also says repair but it just comes up with "install" with no option to repair. I'm not game now to turn this computer off in case it doesn't reboot, despite what I've said above.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/boot-sector-partition-corrupt-797162.html
Relevancy 73.53%

From within windows I used CCleaner to wipe my partition containing XP When I rebooted the system wouldn't start at all I had forgotten that XP was setup on the first gb of the drive as a partition partition and was on the remaining partition So I'm guessing boot Wiped 7 now Primary XP, holding can't partition that I inadvertently wiped the MBR I've been trying several methods for hours but cannot get windows to boot At this point when I boot the computer I get the message quot BOOTMGR is missing quot I have tried running the recovery Startup Repair and have tried using the four main commands Since Wiped Primary partition holding XP, now can't boot 7 that didn't work I tried setting the partition former XP partition partition as active and running them again then doing the same with the partition partition With that still not working I tried following this guide to bootsect to no avail Ideally I would remerge my two partitions but I don't know if that is possible without messing anything else up Otherwise I am fine having the former xp partition partition just be used Wiped Primary partition holding XP, now can't boot 7 for data and windows to work as-is partition I have the windows installation disc as well as a gparted disc along with access to a couple working windows pcs Thank you for any help

A:Wiped Primary partition holding XP, now can't boot 7

Quote: Originally Posted by Sardonicus

Startup Repair

I previously followed that guide, it did not solve my issue. I ran the Startup Repair several times, before and after each new guide I followed to see if anything had changed. If I click the details after running the repair, it always reads the same, with the final step saying something along the lines of missing partition table but returning no errors. I can post the full output if it would be helpful.

I should also mention that no matter what partition is set to active, no operating system is listed when I use the recovery mode and to the point where I need to "Use recovery tools". However, ScanOS and RebuildMBR find the 7 partition (partition 2) on drive E:\ - the xp partition (partition 1) is drive C:\.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/303556-wiped-primary-partition-holding-xp-now-cant-boot-7-a.html
Relevancy 73.1%

I messed up / corupted / deleted my partition table on 1 of my hard disks few days ago when I was attempting to install redhat linux (FAILED....)

I have searched through this forum and came up with a few related topics on my question but so far i still cannot recover my partition table and my hard disks(5GB) fails to boot. It says no OS installed... i have installed windows on another hard drive(40GB)

I have attempted to find some programs which can recover my partition table. Does anyone know of some freeware?

It's strange that I can see the files in the disk via DOS but Windows tells me that the disk isn't formatted... Please help! Thanks

Relevancy 73.1%

I used fixboot and change the partition to FAT12 by accident. I'm trying to switch this back. I've tried Partition Table Doctor, R-Studio, and i'm trying TestDisk right now. Anyone have advice. If I can't fix it I need good data recovery software. Can anyone recommend any? Freeware of course.

A:Fix partition boot sector/data recovery

Here are some ideas: http://www.partition-tool.com/resour...ile-system.htm

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/fix-partition-boot-sector-data-recovery-412857.html
Relevancy 72.24%

startup repair wont completeeRecovery total sytem replace wont finalize either...stops at 98-99% and says not enough hard drive space for temp files?

A:boot sector for system disk partition is corrupt

What is your model number and Windows version?

http://community.acer.com/t5/V-and-VN-Series-Laptops/boot-sector-for-system-disk-partition-is-corrupt/td-p/427953/jump-to/first-unread-message
Relevancy 72.24%

Hi I'll go straight to the point My OS is Windows x I have a GB Seagate HDD I have GB of Kingston RAM DDR and MOBO is Asus not sure about the brand since I am not at home now I was using Win Flash when my desktop suddenly froze Even the task manager would not appear I had no choice but to reset it When it was back on it would not boot to Windows anymore All I'm getting is quot Reboot and Boot disk system corrupt sector for is partition select proper boot device quot I have tried to do a repair using the DVD that was used to install onto my desktop Tried doing startup repair by following this Startup Repair three times with a reboot on each interval All I'm getting is the same message that says quot SystemDisk Device Harddisk Windows Directory Number of root causes Tests Performed Name Check for updates Result Completed Successfully Error Code x Tests Performed Boot sector for system disk partition is corrupt Name System Disk Test Result Completed Successfully Error Code x Tests Performed Nameisk failure Diagnosis Result Completed Successfully Error Code x Tests Performed Nameisk Metadata Test Result Completed Successfully Error Code x Root Case Found Boot sector for system disk partition is corrupt Repair Action Boot sector repair Result Failed Error Code x quot Thought I'd try what was instructed here Repair Install starting from Step I ran an error after following Step quot The computer started using the Windows installation disc Remove the installation disc and restart your computer so that Windows starts normally Then insert the installation disc and restart the upgrade quot I then decided to choose quot Custom advanced quot since I Boot sector for system disk partition is corrupt knew I have Boot sector for system disk partition is corrupt saved my files onto a separate partition I had two drive C and D I was surprised to see what the next screen showed me It only shows quot Disk Partition quot My 'backup' drive was gone will ALL my files in it I would really really really appreciate it if you could help me get my files back By the way I have already tried to make my HDD a slave to another desktop to see if I could at least get my files that way but it is only showing me partition as well When I try to open it it only tells me that I need to format the drive before using it I would like to do a fresh install but only and ONLY if I could be guaranteed that I would be able to get ALL my files back using any recovery software

A:Boot sector for system disk partition is corrupt

Many folks use RECUVA to retrieve files. It is reported to be able to compile your data from drives with a missing/corrupted file system.
You would need to run this on another PC, of course, and it takes quite a while.
There are other programs, some free, some paid, that can do the job also.

On the problem PC, does it boot? Can you get into the BIOS settings?
Is the problem hard drive a SATA drive or a PATA (IDE) drive?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/262036-boot-sector-system-disk-partition-corrupt.html
Relevancy 72.24%

Windows XP .

I am trying desparately to enlarge my c drive, which is partitioned from a large drive also containing f (programs) and g (data) drives.

I need to enlarge the c drive to allow proper cmptr operation.

i used Partition magic , which seemed to work up until the point where it rebooted and gave me error 58 "unable to write to the boot sector. Virus protection software may be running. "

I have disabled Norton Anti virus, and Spyware Dr (complete shutdown). Still no success.

How do i disable virus protection in the boot. How do i get there ?

Thank you.

Relevancy 72.24%

Hello I decided to install another OS which I am using here Because of the way my Laptop Dell XPS M is set up it has partitions One for the OS Windows Vista one for Recovery which only has the defualt factory image anyway one for Dell Medic direct and finally one for the boot swap I think I decided to move everything from Recovery D to OS C and install the new OS into Recovery D This went fine and everything was running perfectly until I ran out of drive space in Recovery D only GB So I decided to trust Partition Manager tools to add an extra GB to Recovery D from OS C I set all the correct settings restarted and everything was going to plan until your program reported an error and said it had to restart Now I can t access OC C - it says I have to format it first When I try to boot into it a blue screen is shown So I decided to boot from the vista disk to try and recover OS C but it wasn t listed on the screen I decided to click next anyway and click Start-up repair After a few minutes it reported the root cause of the booting problem A corrupted boot sector partition which it could not repair I have ALL my personal and CRITICAL information that I really need back on OS C and I would like to request some help please Thanks and best regards Michael Thomas nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/corrupt-boot-sector-partition-windows-vista.785869/
Relevancy 72.24%

Hi All,

My netbook has failed to boot up - it asks me to insert the Windows disc and use Repair Computer

I've loaded this up and ran Startup Repair which in turn has come up stating it can't repair the computer, and I get the following Root Cause:

Root cause found:
Boot sector for system disk partition is corrupt

Repair action: Boot sector repair
Result: Failed. Error code = 0x17
Time taken = 3682mc

My Windows installation is on D:\ drive

Hope somebody can help - I know how to go open up CMD prompt so if anyone has steps from there that would be great.

A:Boot sector for system disk partition is corrupt

First Step is to backup your important data. From another PC if possible.

Download Ubuntu Live CD ISO image and burn the ISO image to a cd using Imgburn (how to burn an ISO image using Imgburn). With the newly burned cd boot with it then select "Try Ubuntu" not "Install Ubuntu" access the Windows partition or what ever partition or hdd you which to backup files from by going to the panel on top, select "Go" click on "Computer". Select the partition, or Hard drive then directories, and files you wish to back up, Backup the files to DVD, an external hard drive or thumb drive(s).
Reboot or turn on the machine. As soon as you see your machine's name logo splash screen keep tapping F8. Go to "Advanced Options" or "Repair Computer" Select your language then "Repair Your Computer" An installation of Windows should be detected after that select "Next"

If that does not fix the issue. Do the same as before go to Next again go to command prompt type in

Code:

CHKDSK D: /R
hit enter.

This will take time be patient let it finish.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/boot-sector-for-system-disk-partition-is-corrupt-697596.html
Relevancy 71.38%

First time ive posted on this forum but Ive gotten losts of help from it in the past Hopefully you guys can help me or give me some ideas on a problem im having Ive had this computer for about a year at this point but starting months ago I have had to reinstall my operating system times do to the SSD drive failing to boot This just happened for the rd time last night and Im out of ideas and to keep my sanity I need to find the root of the problem before I put another OS on the drive On start up the first times the computer said it needed to repair the start up and just ran boot Repeated on to SSD partition? F: loss Windows sector moved startup repair but just hung and never did anything but said searching for problems This time im getting Repeated boot sector loss on SSD Windows moved to F: partition? a quot Boot selection Repeated boot sector loss on SSD Windows moved to F: partition? failed because a required device is inaccessible error quot I ran the windows disk and selected repair The windows installation is now on F where it was on c My system was windows partition was c RAID Raptor drives where D Media GB Seagate drive on E DVD F or G I cant really remember now The drives are all visable in bios and I am booting from the SSD Drive In windows repair I tried dong sysrestore but it says I have no restore points which I know I had some Start up repair says my boot sector is corrupted I have run it multiple times I have tried to run bootrec it was all the commands where successful but when I run the scanos command it says no windows partitions found Another thing that is scary is when I try to get to the f partition in the command console it says quot the semaphore timeout period has expired quot I tried running a chkdsk command on the F where it says windows is and it says it cant run the command because the partition is RAW I dont know what the deal is I even had mushkin DMA me a new SSD weeks ago and the same problem cropped up again last night I dont know if its bad cables or a bad raid controller on the Mobo or what but times losing the OS in months is getting me frustrated Any advice would be great Ive probably spent or so hours trying to recover my OS over the last months If you need anymore info just ask Thanks in advance

A:Repeated boot sector loss on SSD Windows moved to F: partition?

Please post back a screenshot of Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image.

Win7 should not be on F if you correctly booted the installer to Clean Install Windows 7 to the target SSD with all other HD's unplugged. Delete all partitions during the install at Steps 7 and 8.

You have an unnecessary complication with RAID which confers no advantage and causes only problems with Win7. It isn't even Redundant which is the first letter in its name, since you'd lose all data if you lose one HD.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/302336-repeated-boot-sector-loss-ssd-windows-moved-f-partition.html
Relevancy 71.38%

Hello I have Windows Professional installed on a Dell Latitude E laptop and it has a corrupt boot sector on the disk partition Unfortunately I was unsuccessful in my repair attempt Here's how far I got When I typed in bootrec exe fixmbr It responded with The operation completed successfully Good However with the next command bootsect exe nt all disk for partition 7 sector boot system Corrupt (Windows Pro) force It responded with Could not open the volume root directory The parameter is incorrect Before I attempted the steps above I utilized the 'Startup Repair' utility It yielded the following Problem Signature if this is useful -------------------------------------------------------------------- Problem Signature ----------------- Problem Event Name Startup Repair Offline Problem Signature Problem Signature Problem Signature Corrupt boot sector for system disk partition (Windows 7 Pro) unknown Corrupt boot sector for system disk partition (Windows 7 Pro) Problem Signature Problem Signature unknown Problem Signature Problem Signature unknown OS Version Locale ID -------------------------------------------------------------------- I really don't want to reformat the hard drive and I was wondering if there were any other method s I could utilize Thanks and my appreciation in advance Thanks and take care -- KGM --

A:Corrupt boot sector for system disk partition (Windows 7 Pro)

If at all possible, I would recommend that you do a full backup of the drive just in case. Like maybe taking the HDD out, plugging it into another computer as a secondary drive, and using DriveImageXML to take a copy of the contents which you can then browse the content of, for later on if you really need to.

Try off a Ubuntu CD or USB (links are in my signature), and then this:
How to fix your Windows MBR with an Ubuntu liveCD*|*ArsGeek

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/corrupt-boot-sector-for-system-disk-partition-windows-7-pro-587602.html
Relevancy 71.38%

Hello.  Running Vista HP.  Computer was slow, VERY slow.  Could access start and run.  Rebooted with Hitman Pro USB.  Options 1 and 2 only booted to a black screen.  Option 3 booted and HMP found 1472 items, 1 boot sector virus (I failed to write the name down), and 15 other threats.  I've used HMP what seems like hundreds of times before and never had an issue like this.

Computer reboots into recovery mode (Sony recovery partition).  Used testdisc to see if it could find the missing partition and it did, but says it can't recover it because drive is too small.  Nothing else has been done and the drive was far from being full.

Any suggestions?

A:Hitman pro deleted boot sector virus, now partition is missing

Hi and welcome.

Lets give it a try.

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to a flash drive.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

Plug the flash drive into the infected PC.

If you are using Windows 8 consult How to use the Windows 8 System Recovery Environment Command Prompt to enter System Recovery Command prompt.

If you are using Vista or Windows 7 enter System Recovery Options.

To enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options:

Restart the computer.
As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until Advanced Boot Options appears.
Use the arrow keys to select the Repair your computer menu item.
Select US as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
Select your user account an click Next.
Note: In case you can not enter System Recovery Options by using F8 method, you can use Windows installation disc, or make a repair disc. Any Windows installation disc or a repair disc made on another computer can be used.

To make a repair disk on Windows 7 consult: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2083-system-repair-disc-create.html

To enter System Recovery Options by using Windows installation disc:

Insert the installation disc.
Restart your computer.
If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc. If your computer is not configured to start from a CD or DVD, check your BIOS settings.
Click Repair your computer.
Select US as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
Select your user account and click Next.
On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:
Startup Repair
System Restore
Windows Complete PC Restore
Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
Command Prompt
Select Command Prompt

Once in the Command Prompt:

In the command window type in notepad and press Enter.
The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open.
Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.
In the command window type e:\frst (for x64 bit version type e:\frst64) and press Enter

Note: Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive.

The tool will start to run.
When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
Press Scan button.
It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please copy and paste it to your reply.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/539823/hitman-pro-deleted-boot-sector-virus-now-partition-is-missing/
Relevancy 71.38%

I have read disk Boot corrupt is system for guidance. Sector partition another thread with this same issue but I openly admin this above me so I am having to ask for info in smaller chunks My wife shout down her computer this morning took it on remote location for work today but never booted it up When she got back home tonight it wouldn't boot up I don't know what to call these screen but some Startup Repair screen Just says Repair action Boot sector repair Boot Sector for system disk partition is corrupt guidance. Result Failed I downloaded and burned to CD the boot CD Boot Sector for system disk partition is corrupt guidance. for the MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition but I don't know what disk I am even looking for I see partitions listed for one disk The only one with a label is BDEDrive and it's MB The other two have as what I would call a label One is GB and the other is MB The BDEDrive is the only with with status of Active NTFS on that partition and Other on the big partition Can some guide me through what I should do next Thanks in advance

A:Boot Sector for system disk partition is corrupt guidance.

Startup Repair

System Repair Disc - Create

Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/277184-boot-sector-system-disk-partition-corrupt-guidance.html
Relevancy 70.95%

I was researching startup programs in Msconfig start tab comparing those programs to info in Pacs-Portal website I unchecked two Toshiba bloatware programs and had not select apply I left the laptop for about one minute and upon returning the Hard Drive Wipe in Progress message was in large font on the screen I pressed and held down the power key until a forced is ?Boot disk partition corrupt? for sector 0X490 error, system shutdown occurred At the next Win Home Premium start the Windows screen showed briefly then Startup Repair commenced The startup repair diagnosis resulted in message quot Boot sector for system disk partition is corrupt quot repair boot sector repair action and x error I researched the Windows Seven Forum and found Troubleshooting Windows Failure to Start Published by gregrocker Mar I performed these actions in this order Bootrec command Used FixMbr then restarted the OS The Windows screen showed briefly Startup Repair opened and 0X490 error, ?Boot sector for system disk partition is corrupt? the boot sector repair failed The same message occurred Boot sector the system disk partition is corrupt Then used FixBoot with the same results DiskPart Drive W the Linux partition did not show Chkdsk Ran once and command ran for about two minutes Messages were Correcting error in index I for file XXXXX This message would repeat once then Sorting index I in file XXXXX index entries were processed Restarted OS with the same Windows screen and Startup Repair commencing Errors could not be corrected Mini-Tool Partition Wizard Ran once with the following results Selected the w drive for repair The three Boot partitions were greyed out showing overlap with w I also selected system and HDDRECOVERY partitions And selected apply The W and Boot partitions were not repaired Startup Repair Ran Startup Repair for three simultaneous runs The Boot System error X was not corrected I request help to repair the boot sector and or possible corruption of the Linux partition Any assistance will be appreciated

A:0X490 error, “Boot sector for system disk partition is corrupt”

It sounds like you somehow triggered Factory Recovery which should have offered you several choices before beginning to wipe your hard drive like that. But if it clearly said that it was wiping your hard drive, then I doubt if it's recoverable even after aborting it.

If Partition Wizard Partition Recovery Wizard is unable to recover the deleted partitions then you can try rescuiing your files to see if they are still there using Copy & Paste - in Windows Recovery Console or Paragon Rescue Kit Free Edition 11.0 Free.

Then you can either attempt to run again Toshiba Factory Recovery, or as a consolation you can do a much better install than the one you had following these steps to Clean Reinstall Windows 7.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/353148-0x490-error-boot-sector-system-disk-partition-corrupt.html
Relevancy 67.51%

Hello, I have just installed windows 10 on a dual boot system.
This was my first time creating a new hard drive partition, and it has gone ahead of my old C: partition, meaning the 25gb windows 10 OS is now on C: and my old data has all been moved to D:.
Of course when I tried to launch a game nothing was able to work.

Is it possible to swap around the letters of the partitions?
If I can get D: back to C: all the registry entries will work again. The new partition I'm not fussed about, if I can get it to the D: position I'm happy to install windows 10 again if need be.

Just in case, I am backing everything up. But it would save a lot of time installing apps and transferring files again if I could get the D: partition back to C:

Thanks.

A:Partition letter problem (win10 dual boot)

By Default, Windows always takes the C: drive letter. This cannot be changed. Any programs or games will run from D: you may need to change the path of the game in the executable.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f338/partition-letter-problem-win10-dual-boot-1139346.html
Relevancy 67.51%

So I have gone through all the usual hoops I can find on the upgrade issues mostly based off the one error I have managed to get spit back xC - x This is partition prevents boot my or upgrade 7 win10 windows Something on usually found to be a driver error but after removing everything possible to no avail I said screw it and went for the clean install The install media would get stuck at the spinning dots even after booting directly to it that is until I removed the older hard drives namely the one with my win install I now have a clean win sitting pretty on an SSD but here goes my issue if I plug the win drive back in with computer off I get stuck on spinning dots again After restart I can get a repair screen which only leads to a black screen with a mouse Take out the Something on my windows 7 partition prevents win10 upgrade or boot one drive again and I can get in Fun stuff so far What is most curious I dropped in the drive when win was up yay sata hotswap and it read the other two partitions great But the win partition isn't read leading me to believe something is corrupted there Ultimately and ideally I would like to do an upgrade to Something on my windows 7 partition prevents win10 upgrade or boot keep my files around and not deal with restoring everything less ideally would be getting the win install to see the win install partition but I would bet these issues are one in the same I have run chkdsk and sfc scannow no errors on either For record is what I have in win and when I hotswap this drive in on C will not show up TIA

A:Something on my windows 7 partition prevents win10 upgrade or boot

Will the computer boot into Windows 7 with only that HDD connected?

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/37374-something-my-windows-7-partition-prevents-win10-upgrade-boot.html
Relevancy 66.65%

Bought a new computer with windows 10 installed, but my work from home job requires windows 7. I don't want to get rid of windows 10, as I will need it for other things, so I'm trying to install windows 7 onto a separate partition so that I can dual boot between the two. I downloaded a legit copy of windows 7 ISO and used Rufus 2.8 to make a boot disk out of a 16gig flash drive and I changed the boot order in my bios to read from removable drives first, but when I reboot, nothing happens, it just boots up windows 10. If I try to run the setup from the flash drive in windows 10, it starts but then says I need 692 MB of memory on the boot disk, even though the flash drive has 12 gigs free after putting the ISO file on it, and gives error 0x80070490. Is there any way I can get this to work?

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/46835-running-win10-want-install-7-seperate-partition-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 65.79%

I am using a Lenovo G Laoptop with Windows ultimate Core i GB Ram configuration As my computer had become slow I decided to format and re-install a fresh copy of Windows last month After installation it its Other a whether problem Sector/ Boot Virus/ Confused Sector Bad displayed an error for a fraction of second saying windows couldn t install properly I couldn t read the full message properly as it appeared just for a fraction of second However as the windows worked fine Confused whether its a Bad Sector/ Boot Sector Virus/ Other problem i did all my drivers installations and switched off my laptop The next day it was unable to start and automatically did a chkdsk operation and found out many unreadable files and got stuck in the middle during the operation I had to press the switch on off button to restart it again and again did a windows installation Since then I have to install a fresh windows near about everyday when i switch on my laptiop On doing the chkdsk operation sometimes it shows no problems and sometimes it shows many unreadable files I am in a state of confusion whether its due to some bad sector some hardware malfunction any boot sector virus or any other problem I think if it would be a bad sector then Confused whether its a Bad Sector/ Boot Sector Virus/ Other problem every time the chkdsk operation should detect it which it doesnt Please help

A:Confused whether its a Bad Sector/ Boot Sector Virus/ Other problem

If you run chkdsk without the /r switch, nothing is accomplished. You must run chkdsk /r

Alternatively, you can download the hd diagnostic utility from you website of the hd manufacturer, burn it to cd, and run that.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/432938/confused-whether-its-a-bad-sector-boot-sector-virus-other-problem/
Relevancy 64.93%

Hi,
My disk contains 5 partitions:
part1 = ntfs-win10 free upgrade of win home premium (primary)
Part2 = ntfs-win7 home premium (primary)
Part3 = ext3-Extended (logical)
Part4 = ext3-LM rafaela (extended)
Part5 = swap (extended)
This setup worked good.

Part2 win7 got buggered, and reinstalled (nvidia chip-set melt down during win7 boot). The MB was replaced.

I can no longer get to win10 boot Part1. Booting to Part1 or Part2 results to booting the newly installed win7. Rafaela boot did not change: still working.

How can I reclaim my win10 boot? I can't upgrade for free anymore so I'm hoping there's a way to work with what's there.

Thanks,
Keith

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/60389-lost-win10-multiboot-disk-partition-win7-win10-lm-rafaela.html
Relevancy 64.5%

I have a dual boot environment with two Win XP installed on different disks, XP1 and XP2 . XP1 was installed first and contains the boot files (NTLDR, boot.ini...) and XP2 came second. Now, I would like to keep XP2 and get rid of XP1. How can i delete XP1 since it contains the boot files? if i delete XP1 i am afraid to not be able to boot on XP2..., thanks

Relevancy 64.5%

Hey As title says recovery wiped - HDD Satellite media Need win10 C850D-11C Tried reverting a win update with the result that somehow the HDD got completely wiped including the recovery partition Thanks a bunch MS So right now it just says fail to locate media or some Satellite C850D-11C win10 wiped HDD - Need recovery media such Pressing while powering on does nothing I did change the BIOS settings for secure boot and looking at the Satellite C850D-11C win10 wiped HDD - Need recovery media boot order shows me the main HDD the optical drive USB and a EFI thingy no idea what that is None of the options are able to boot though I did manage to make a windows recovery on USB stick and can install win but without drivers and anything else that came with the computer when my wife first bought it I've tried locate a recovery disc for it but the site only shows it available in NH No idea what NH is Netherlands while I need one in danish or English none of those options was available If any could give me a pointer where to find it I would be very grateful I could probably find the various drivers needed if I had a list of what I need but would prefer to have it all on one disc Side question Could I via a recovery disc make a new recovery partition to bring it back to factory standard or does it happen automatically Best regards and thanks in advance

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?91727-Satellite-C850D-11C-win10-wiped-HDD-Need-recovery-media
Relevancy 64.07%

OS is Win2k. I ran norton virus-check after renewing the subscription on the net, when i returned the pc was frozen in mid-scan. No response to ctl-alt-del or anything. There were error messages about being unable to write to a log file and a connection may have been lost etc.
Eventually i switched off the pc, but then it would not run after that. Once powered, it comes up with a black screen & error message :
"Invalid partition boot sector, press any key to restart loading operating system"
but pressing any key just repeats the same message each time. You also get this short low 'burrrp' sound from the hard drive each time one presses a key.
Can anyone help ?
Thanks

A:"Invalid partition boot sector"

Not positive on win 2000, but on win '98 etc you would run the boot floppy and at command prompt type fdisk /mbr which would restore the master boot record which has been corrupted / lost.

It actually sounds as though you had a multi-partite virus freelove, onehalf.3544 etc which affect the boot sector and give errors exactly like what you have, including the 'press any key' part.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/invalid-partition-boot-sector.161550/
Relevancy 62.78%

I have 2 hard disks with Windows Xp installed on each. When I boot up I get the choice to load either operating system. I wish to remove the (not used) XP version on the second disk. Can I just delete it from windows when I have loaded the initial XP (C drive)? Or should I just leave it? Might it be useful one day? I am asking as I am about to copy the contents of both disks onto a new single hard drive. Thanks.

A:Removing second boot partition

wat is exact problem

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/removing-second-boot-partition.785512/
Relevancy 62.35%

I have a Windows 7 laptop that has 3 partitions on it with only one booting Operating System on the Hard Drive. One of the partitions contains a previous version of Win7 on it that became corrupted and I had to install my current version of Win7 on a newer primary partition which Windows boots straight into.

I no longer need to use the previous O/S and it takes up 17.6GB which I think is now unnecessary to retain (and is hogging up valuable Gigs that I could really make use of due to nagging pop-up that tells me that disk [partition] is running out of space) and would like to know if I can safely remove the old O/S from the partition and still retain the other data on the partition and how I can best go about removing the old O/S?

A:Removing non-dual boot O/S from partition....

Hi and welcome.

Please post a screen shot of your Disk Management window so that we can better understand what you have.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/395778-removing-non-dual-boot-o-s-partition.html
Relevancy 62.35%

I have a Windows 7 laptop that has 3 partitions on it with only one booting Operating System on the Hard Drive. One of the partitions contains a previous version of Win7 on it that became corrupted and I had to install my current version of Win7 on a newer primary partition which Windows boots straight into.

I no longer need to use the previous O/S and it takes up 17.6GB which I think is now unnecessary to retain (and is hogging up valuable Gigs that I could really make use of due to nagging pop-up that tells me that disk [partition] is running out of space) and would like to know if I can safely remove the old O/S from the partition and still retain the other data on the partition and how I can best go about removing the old O/S?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/395778-removing-non-dual-boot-o-s-partition.html
Relevancy 61.49%

Help I decided last night to remove the XP partition from my dual boot and keep Vista Home Premium When I made the dual boot I already had XP installed and just partitioned the drive and installed vista on Boot Vista from Removing Partition XP Dual the second partition using Vista boot pro to change the boot order I searched last night and came upon this website http www howtogeek com forum topic removing-xp-on-a-dula-boot-config and used it to remove the partition Before I started I Removing XP Partition from Vista Dual Boot used vista boot pro on the vista partition and deleted the XP entry so that it would only boot into Vista I then booted using Gparted and deleted the XP partition and resized my vista partition When I restarted it came up with an error message so I booted into the Vista DVD to repair but it doesnt give me the option to select my vista drive to repair I think the XP partiton may have been the sytem partition Help please Steve nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/removing-xp-partition-from-vista-dual-boot.823554/
Relevancy 61.49%

I should know the answer to this question but my mind isn't working. I have done this before but can't remember how *exactly* I did it.

I took my sister's 150GB HD and set her up with a dual boot with Windows 7 and XP. She now wants me to take Windows 7 off and just use XP for a while. If I use a 3rd party partitioning tool to remove the Windows 7 partition FROM WITHIN XP, will this screw up the boot manager? I think it should be fine. Just take out the partition and extend the XP partition into the free space and it should just boot to XP. Is this correct?

A:How will removing partition effect boot manager

Quote: Originally Posted by nate42nd

I should know the answer to this question but my mind isn't working. I have done this before but can't remember how *exactly* I did it.

I took my sister's 150GB HD and set her up with a dual boot with Windows 7 and XP. She now wants me to take Windows 7 off and just use XP for a while. If I use a 3rd party partitioning tool to remove the Windows 7 partition FROM WITHIN XP, will this screw up the boot manager? I think it should be fine. Just take out the partition and extend the XP partition into the free space and it should just boot to XP. Is this correct?

Your message implies your sister's HDD:
1. Started with new HDD
2. Installed w7 first
3. Installed XP

Was this the case, or did the machine come with XP installed,
then w7 installed afterwards?

When you boot XP, with hidden/system files 'showing', does there exist
both 'ntldr' and 'ntdetect.com' and the w7 'bootmgr' on the C: drive?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/24469-how-will-removing-partition-effect-boot-manager.html
Relevancy 61.06%

I am running Win XP PRO as one boot option, and WIN HOME as another.

I want to remove the Win XP PRO and then utilize the space for my WIN HOME directory.

I am looking to increase my usable hard drive in WIN HOME.

Can this be done?

A:Removing dual-boot OS and partition to increase space

Not easily, and it depends somewhat on what was installed first, and what Service Packs were on those first two installs of Windows XP..
I assume that Windows XP Professional was the primary install, because it normally will not tolerate being second to XP Home.

If it were my machine, I would buy a new hard drive and install Windows XP Professional, then install this current drive as a slave, and remove what you want to the new drive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/removing-dual-boot-os-and-partition-to-increase-space.135757/
Relevancy 61.06%

Hello I have Installed Windows XP like ages ago and then there was some error with the XP back then while booting up so I called up my technician He dual booted my system with Windows Ultimate I've stopped using XP since a while so after Dual XP partition removing Windows not from Boot Booting 7 I thought of removing I from my system The XP files and Windows were on two different partitions of same Windows 7 not Booting after removing XP partition from Dual Boot HDD So I used Minitool Partition wizard to remove Windows 7 not Booting after removing XP partition from Dual Boot the Partition in which XP files were there It even prompted a message saying that I may Windows 7 not Booting after removing XP partition from Dual Boot not be able to boot if I format the specific Partition I clicked on continue and it showed me that the specific partition is in use and the asked me to restart it and minitool will delete it by itself while restarting And after it deleted the XP partition my system can't Boot Windows now I just don't get it I've even lost my Windows OS DVD to try repair the OS Can anyone help me to Boot into my Windows without losing any data from that Partition

A:Windows 7 not Booting after removing XP partition from Dual Boot

Why didn`t you listen to the message ?

You deleted your Active partition now windows 7 won`t boot.

Your windows 7 partition must 1st be marked Active, then startup repair must be run to write the system files to the Windows 7 partition.

Without an install dvd or a system repair disc, you can`t do that. You can easily make a system repair disc on another Windows 7 PC, all you need is a blank cd and a cd burner. But it has to be the same bit version (32 or 64) and Service Pack version as the version you are trying to repair.

Others may have another method. They will post it.

Or call your Tech

System Repair Disc - Create

Startup Repair

Partition - Mark as Active

You can also make and use a Partition Wizard Boot CD

Bootable Partition Manger | MiniTool Partition Wizard Bootable Edition

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/388248-windows-7-not-booting-after-removing-xp-partition-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 61.06%

My single hard drive has 1 primary partition and 3 logical drives in the extended partition.

The primary partition had XP installed on it and is obviously the Active partition(got drive letter C).
I then installed 7 on one of the logical drives.(got drive letter D).

The boot loader(I am assuming) is probably on the Active partition.

I am trying to delete the primary partition as I dont need the XP any longer --to claim some space on the drive.

What's the easiest way to accomplish this?

A:Removing the active partition in a dual boot setup

It appears you know the primary partition is active and the boot files are there. Since you cannot make a logical partition active, then it should follow you need to make another partition primary to be able to make it active.

You can use Partition Wizard to make a logical partition a primary partition. I will assume you will choose the Win 7 partition. You can then make it active and run the Win 7 Startup Repair 2 or 3 times to get Win 7 to boot from it.

After that, moving or resizing partitions can be done with Partition Wizard, but be aware it can be risky, so back up.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/69419-removing-active-partition-dual-boot-setup.html
Relevancy 60.2%

I have two partitions on my HDD. A 'suspect' Windows 7 Home (that originally came with my 'refurbished' second hand laptop) is installed in the only Primary partition. A legitimate copy of Windows 7 Professional is (now) installed in an Extended Logical partition. My laptop boots up in Windows 7 Professional, if no other selection is made. I now wish to remove the suspect installation, and revert to having just one partition containing my Windows 7 Professional, without formatting the whole HDD and reinstallng/restoring everything currently on the second, logical partition. Is this possible, and if so, how?

A:Removing Windows 7 from the Primary partition of a Dual Boot system.

What kind of BIOS you have? UEFI or Legacy (MBR)?
Can you give us a snapshot of disk manager?
Do you have a external HDD to make a backup image of your Win 7 pro partition?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/399417-removing-windows-7-primary-partition-dual-boot-system.html
Relevancy 60.2%

I am dual booting with Win98SE on my original/older drive and have WinXP on the second/new harddrive.

I want to remove the old harddrive and Win98SE. I tried following some help guides on TSG but I'm stuck at making the new drive the active partition.....

I haven't been able to find something that tells me how to do this.

Is anyone familiar with this?

Thanks,
Brian

BTW: Please!, I don't want to reinstall WinXP again.

Relevancy 60.2%

I have two partitions on my HDD. A 'suspect' Windows 7 Home (that originally came with my 'refurbished' second hand laptop) is installed in the only Primary partition. A legitimate copy of Windows 7 Professional is (now) installed in an Extended Logical partition. My laptop boots up in Windows 7 Professional, if no other selection is made. I now wish to remove the suspect installation, and revert to having just one partition containing my Windows 7 Professional, without formatting the whole HDD and reinstallng/restoring everything currently on the second, logical partition. Is this possible, and if so, how?

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/399417-removing-windows-7-primary-partition-dual-boot-system.html
Relevancy 60.2%

Hello,
i have a Packard Bell Dot S2 Netbook. When i bought it, i made 2 partitions for Windows 7 and Ubuntu. Then I wanted to remove Ubuntu, so i deleted his partition. Now, when i restart, i read only "Grub rescue >".
I read in this forum that i should reinstall Windows 7 using the CD, but my netbook can't read CDs!
I can use another pc with Windows 7....can i use it to fix the problem?
Thanks

A:Removing Ubuntu partition from Netbook, Windows 7 doesn't boot.

Welcome to Seven Forums.

You can create a w7 installer on a USB flash drive and reinstall with that. For how see here: Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool

Download the iso file for your w7 version from here, Dell Community Sometime the iso will not work the first time and requires a re-download.

Here is a tutorial with all the above info. USB Windows 7 Installation Key Drive - Create

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/274876-removing-ubuntu-partition-netbook-windows-7-doesnt-boot.html
Relevancy 59.77%

Hi not sure if this is posted in the right section but I m stumped quite unable to pinpoint the problem I was running Win Pro -bit on my PC I had downloaded VLC and started the installation Suddenly the PC did a reboot no warning message of any kind After that it went as far as showing the Windows logo and then went directly into a Win HD !?! - wiped out partition Pro BSOD after which it rebooted I went through the quot F quot while booting up to see if I could recover but I was unable to find any partition on drive the boot drive The only information shown on the BSOD was a quot STOP x B quot followed by a bunch of hex numbers Since I have a removable boot drive I switch between Win -bit and WinXP -bit I am now running the system with WinXP I have hooked up the Win drive as an external USB drive and Windows can not find any partition information on it At Win Pro - HD partition wiped out !?! present I Win Pro - HD partition wiped out !?! am trying to retrieve the files using GetDataBack I ve got a TB external drive to recover files to The Win drive is a Hitachi GB SATA and it had two partitions primary logical with three volumes on it primary C for Win and the logical partition with Win Pro - HD partition wiped out !?! D for applications F for games and s as a swap volume What else could I do to try to recover the partitions and get the drive back into quot booting condition quot Cheers Andreas nbsp

Relevancy 59.34%

Hello Friends,
I have 3 hdd two sata 1 ide all three of them cannot install any windows accept winxp and cannot install Microsoft office 2007 or further so when the troubleshooting process started it came out through a seatools cd of Seagate website downloaded for Seagate hdd I ran it and got that it detected a badsector after the last 90% scan so I need a software or steps through which I can repair it .

please help me

A:Any software for removing bad sector

Sector failures are hardware related -- and despite what may read, software can NOT repair hardware failures.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/337585-any-software-removing-bad-sector.html
Relevancy 58.91%

Greetings I need help trying to recover some files on my pc I had an XP installation working fine on a single hd setup with about gb free space I tried partitioning the drive c to free up that empty space so that I could C Wiped due to Drive bad partition? install Windows on it i guess its called dual boot I used a free partition manager program from download com it went through the C Drive Wiped due to bad partition? setup and had to restart the pc and continue from dos to finish That's where it went to hell I could not boot the drive again due to a NTLDR file missing error I tried some recommendations on using the XP install CD The cd can't find any windows installs The recovery console FIXBOOT didn't work BOOTCFG recommended I use CHKDSK to look for errors and fix them-I didn't find any FIXMBR says I have invalid MBR so I had it write a new one Now my current normal boot results in Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt lt Windows root gt system hal dll Please re-install a copy of the above file I also tried the recommendations on ntldrismissing com to no avail The only thing I care about right now is a couple of important folders on that drive that I would like to recover So I connected the drive to another PC and attempted to use Easus partition tools to recover Nothing Any Ideas

A:C Drive Wiped due to bad partition?

try this to recover your files: Computer First Aid Using Knoppix

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/80495-c-drive-wiped-due-bad-partition.html
Relevancy 58.91%

I have a 120 G maxtor hard drive that had a small partition that I used for backup and the larger for music files. I no longer needed the backup space and was going to merge the partitions. The program crapped out in the middle and now the main partition shows up as unknown/unformatted. I know there are recovery programs but I am cheap and I am hoping someone knows of a free solution.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/partition-magic-wiped-my-hd.334293/
Relevancy 58.91%

Okay I need URGENT help I figured Seven Forums Partition with BSOD Wiped would be a good place to ask I honestly don't know who else to ask Feel free to move this BSOD with Wiped Partition topic if it is in the wrong location or even point me in the direction of someone who could help me better My specs in case anyone wants them Windows Ultiamte x main OS Ubuntu what I'm currently using to type this GB RAM AMD Phenom II x BE CPU ASUS M A series motherboard honestly I can't remember the full model number right now TB Seagate Barricuda S-ATA HDD GB Western Digital IDE HDD I custom-built it myself in April I have had the motherboard replaced recently as the previous one died in just under a year for no apparent reason Let me explain what happened I was trying to format a secondary IDE drive as FAT so that I could back up my Playstation HDD to upgrade it I've managed to do it before for my cousin's PS but Maxtor MaxBlast doesn't seem to have the options to do so any more so I was looking for better programs I had made an image of the IDE drive the GB one as I had previously cloned my pretty-much-dead basically old and slow and in need of a new battery laptop's HDD onto that IDE that is in this desktop computer of mine I used Maxtor MaxBlast to do that and I mounted it to make sure it worked fine which it did Then I erased the drive formatted it and was kind of messing around I tried using some program first something like FormatFAT or something People said it'd do what I wanted but it didn't really seem like it would format the entire drive just the free space so I clicked Initialize which wiped the drive I thought that was fine but the program wouldn't recognise it anymore So I opened up the format utility via Computer and tried to format it It said it was in use by another program I said format anyway but it decided to not work so I tried cancelling it Then it said that it failed to cancel I could either click Retry to try cancelling again or click Cancel to cancel it immediately Not much choice there I DID click Retry first but it didn't work got the same message so I clicked Cancel It seemed to be fine as if I had never tried to format it Then I opened Windows Disk Management under Computer Services or whatever it's called and formatted it that way but I only got the option of exFAT or NTFS I chose NTFS then decided to delete it again and try exFAT for no real reason to be honest Anyway it worked but it was going very slow for both deleting and formatting partitions Once I got it to exFAT it didn't have the drive letter I chose assigned to it E so I right-clicked and set that up It didn't seem to work so I decided to delete the volume and try formatting it again to make sure the drive letter was set from the start this time even though it was the time before it was also not marked active until I did so This is where things got messy Right now it's am and this was about half an hour ago so I was obviously tired and I'm sick right now so that doesn't help What happened is that the drive letter E appeared but I had already chose to delete the volume Since it didn't seem to be doing anything I decided to ignore the fact that I had clicked Delete Probably a big mistake I know what I did so I don't see why ignoring it would change that and I know that the formatting on the computer had been going slow as well as when I had previously tried to install some other Western Digital formatting program but it was doing as much as the formatting via Computer so I closed that which took ages to close and still lingered in Services as Windows Installer Anyway I had found this German command-line program that was meant to work Someone on the Playstation forums suggested it to someone not to me though I just found it via Google It was called h format exe So I decided that since nothing was happening and my E drive still seemed to be fine and partitioned that I would try to format it as FAT using this program It worked It started working at leas... Read more

A:BSOD with Wiped Partition

1. Use Ubuntu to recover your Windows data IMMEDIATELY. The most important data is in the C:\Users folder - so back that up to another location (I'd make a 2nd copy on your Ubuntu partition - just so it doesn't get lost).

2. Provide us with the memory dumps from the Windows installation. They are usually in the C:\Windows\Minidump folder. Zip them up and upload them here. If there isn't anything in that folder, check to see if there's a file named MEMORY.dmp in the C:\Windows directory. If so, zip it up and upload it to a free filehosting service (it'll be too big to upload here) and post a link to it here.

3. From what you describe I suspect that you've hosed your Windows installation. To fix it you'll need your Windows installation disk. Follow the steps in this post for Startup Repair: Startup Repair Try Startup Repair 3 times.

4. Then try to get into Windows. If not possible, try getting into Safe Mode (tapping F8 just before the Windows splash screen shows up). Then try to run a repair installation of Windows 7 using this procedure: Repair Install

If you're still not able to get into Windows, then make sure your data is backed up - and then reinstall Windows (this'll wipe out all your data, so a backup is crucial at this point).

Good luck - this is a whole lot to do before anyone gets up!
FWIW - the NTFS error has to do with the file system on the hard drive. You may be able to "cheat" and remove (unplug both the data and power cable) the IDE drive and see if you can boot to Windows on the other drive.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/167178-bsod-wiped-partition.html
Relevancy 58.48%

Hi I have used a DOS utility called copywipe to wipe a hard drive for a clean installation of windows However the utility has not Primary On Partition Wiped ? Creating HDD only removed all data from the hard drive it Creating Primary Partition On Wiped HDD ? has also deleted the primary partition and master boot record as far as I am aware Can anyone please tell me how I can create a primary partition on the hard Creating Primary Partition On Wiped HDD ? disk and get it active and ready to accept an installation of Windows I have a bootable USB stick with the windows installation files and prefer to use this for the install as the DVD drive is working inconsistently However I think that I need a bootable USB stick with the FDISK and FORMAT programs on it before using the other USB stick with the windows installation or at least that is my understanding If my understanding is correct how do I get a bootable USB stick with the FDISK and FORMAT programs onto it Thx for any help Auld Bint

A:Creating Primary Partition On Wiped HDD ?

Auld, you shouldn't need that. Win 7 installation disks will format your hard drive accordingly.

If you created the USB installation drive correctly (USB Windows 7 Installation Key Drive - Create) you should not have a problem

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/89093-creating-primary-partition-wiped-hdd.html
Relevancy 58.48%

I was having some problem with one of my boot drives It was Windows and it needed to be replaced Anyway an unrelated storage drive that was bad if just if partition. wiped has or it drive my is don't a hard I know connected to my PC that had two partitions on it was taken out and was put back in When it was put it back in it showed up in the bios but not in the OS I examined it closer discovered it was showing up in the device manager It was also showing up in Administrative Tools Computer management Storage Devices But it was show up as quot unallocated quot Does this mean my drive was wiped clean or is there some tool I can use to say restore a bad partition that might help me I had the drive separated into two partitions I don t know what I did to it to make it act this way but I obviously did something Is there a particular product I can download or need to buy that can help me that is better than others Thanks for your help nbsp

A:I don't know if my hard drive is wiped or if it just has a bad partition.

"unallocated" means there are no partitions in that space (or on that drive if the whole drive shows as unallocated).
TestDisk may be able to recover the partitions that it used to show: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i-dont-know-if-my-hard-drive-is-wiped-or-if-it-just-has-a-bad-partition.1050226/
Relevancy 58.48%

HELP NEED to restore partition table damaged by KasperskyPrepping for CLEANEST Win 7x64 install yet, hanging with Kaspersky

A:Please help. Partition table wiped out just before install

More information would have helped.

1. How many partitions do you have?

2. Were or are you trying to do the clean install only on the system partition leaving the other partitions as they were/are?

In any case you may try the Partition Recovery Wizard in MiniTools Partition Wizard Home edition. Download the bootable CD version from Free download Magic Partition Manager Software, partition magic alternative, free partition magic, partition magic Windows 7 and server partition software - Partition Wizard Online (the last one on this page)

Partition Recovery: How to perform lost partition recovery and deleted partition recovery under Windows? Partition Recovery Help.

You may either burn the ISO to a CD and boot from it or create a bootable pen drive with that ISO using Rufus Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way

Note: If you had created a bootable pen drive, when booting with it you have to type linux0 against the boot prompt and press Enter for the boot process to continue. ( It is zero and not the alphabet O. You may press TAB key to see all available options)

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/290687-please-help-partition-table-wiped-out-just-before-install.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Dear all,Due to lack of space I had to wiped the recovery partition in order to install windows 10...What a mistake! Now I cannot start my computer (missing hal.dll file).Now I want to go back to a running windows (whatever the version : 8.1 or 10)But I cannot find a license key, can I download a windows 8.1 usb bootable version on MS internet page? and install this one?Please help...What a pity to buy a PC without the Windows license written on it...I am disappointed with HP products...Thanks for your future replies.Dear Romain

A:windows 10 installation : recovery partition wiped , need to...

Hi, yes, the Steam 13 uses WIMBoot so the recovery partition is required to run Windows 8.1.  If you did not create the recovery media before wiping the recovery partition, you would need to order it from HP to restore the laptop to the factory configuration.  There is not an official install image for Windows 8.1 with Bing available from Microsoft the last I checked.  You can download an install image for Windows 10 but the laptop first needs to be upgraded from Windows 8.1 for Windows 10 to activate.  There is more information here.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/windows-10-installation-recovery-partition-wiped-need-to-re/td-p/5605386
Relevancy 57.62%

Looks like I wiped my main data hard drive. I was trying to install a win98/XP dual boot,
and I must have deleted the wrong NTFS partition at some point.
Right now I have XP on one hard drive and the other hard drive reports as "unknown" file system.

I'm really upset and I just want some help on what are some good recovery programs for this.
So far the ones I've tried can only recover raw. (no folders or file names).
Thanks,
Frank

A:Accidentally wiped ntfs partition with fdisk

First thing, don't use this hdd any more. Every time that you use the hdd it will overwrite files and you will lose them. I will see if I can find a application which has been used successfully here.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/195060/accidentally-wiped-ntfs-partition-with-fdisk/
Relevancy 57.62%

Hello First post and I wish it was under better circumstances I think I've put this in the wrong section Sorry I have managed to wipe my Windows partition while installing the latest release of Ubuntu v I've had my HDD split in two with both Windows updated to Update and Ubuntu and dual-booted between them for over a year During the Ubunut install it informed me that I had a previous version of Ubuntu and would I like to wipe the partition that it occupied and install cleanly I chose that It also offered a chance to use free space Now why I accepted that I don't know but the definition of free space seems to include any other partitions on the drive Next? installing Windows Ubuntu. partition while Wiped and didn't warn of this either The upshot is that I now have a TB drive with no Windows on it I've lost all my email pics etc etc I tried using my rescue DVD that I created from within Windows and at I am asked to insert the second disc I don't have a second disk I had to Wiped Windows partition while installing Ubuntu. Next? force my laptop to power down in order to do anything In order to get online I ended up installing Ubuntu again and it definitely shows no Windows partition I've already ordered a retail copy of Windows and I'm hoping that I can install this with no issues on what is effectively a clean drive Am I correct in that assumption Is there anything else I can try that might rescue it I have a Dell Inspiron r SE that is out of warranty so no support from Dell I'm in the UK too if that helps Thank you very very much in advance

A:Wiped Windows partition while installing Ubuntu. Next?

try i care data recovery it has a 80% chance to recover your file i recommend stellar too but prefer i care over it

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/44729-wiped-windows-partition-while-installing-ubuntu-next.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Hello all My first post on these forums Hope I don't break any rules in it I'll try to be short and clear Windows Installation UEFI After Partition Wiped 7 in describing my problem but please bare with me here as it's not the simplest of issues not to me anyway I got a at the time new MSi laptop several months back with just a regular Windows Core x on it and a UEFI boot system or whatever is the name for quot BIOSs quot At some point I had problems with the settings - I couldn't open any of my computer's settings - and I researched long and hard to no avail So I installed Windows -bit the only disk I had Now I'm trying to upgrade to Windows Pro UEFI Partition Wiped After Windows 7 Installation I noticed that after the installation of Pro my system was still running in -bit so I made a bootable USB stick with the retail version of Windows Core with no key just to get the system back to x It worked just fine I cannot however boot in UEFI mode I believe the partition got wiped somewhere in the Windows installation Whenever I enter UEFI by pressing the DEL button I cannot see the UEFI firmware settings tile under the Troubleshoot option I see the boot mode is LEGACY and when I change it to UEFI save and reset it doesn't boot giving me a quot No media found quot error I don't care about my settings files as long as I get UEFI back with Windows Pro running I googled long enough to know I'm not going anywhere if I don't ask someone with expertise on this matter My next attempt would be to try and install Pro from USB stick wipe all the partitions and hope the installer will create new ones The reason this would work when it didn't before is because I had the OS running in x not x which UEFI doesn't support So maybe now that the system is back to x the Windows installation will restore the UEFI back to its original state Thanks in advance for any solutions

A:UEFI Partition Wiped After Windows 7 Installation

Yes that is correct, when you load a different OS on the hard drive. All previous partitions are wiped off of the hard drive. Only way to get it back, is to reinstall Windows 8.x.x.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/48986-uefi-partition-wiped-after-windows-7-installation.html
Relevancy 57.19%

I am trying to change the sector size of a partition either higher or lower than what is reported now.

Using the ADMIN | Computer Mgmt tools to shrink the partition does make it smaller, but the sector size stays the same. The one I am trying to change the size of is a logical drive inside an extended partition.

Here's hoping that I don't have to blow out the partition and make a new one.

Why do I want to do this? I have a dual boot machine and on the 3rd partition, I'd like to install a version of Linux to test. But since the two partitions have the exact same sector size, it's allegedly preventing the installer from seeing any of the partitions, it simply shows it as one large one with no partitions showing.

Any ideas?

Thank you

J T

A:How to change sector size on an existing partition?

Sector size is an inherent property of the drive and cannot be changed.
But your problem has nothing to do with sector size.

Post a screenshot of Disk Manager showing the existing partitions.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/330923-how-change-sector-size-existing-partition.html
Relevancy 57.19%

I have some old instructions on how to do this (I currently have Win 7 and Win 10 and want to add Win 10 insider version) but they do not work with Win 10.
The instructions I have involve a command prompt to rebuildbcd. But with Win 10, when I get to Troubleshoot/Advanced Options there is no command prompt option.

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/55606-how-triple-boot-win-7-win10-win10-insider.html
Relevancy 57.19%

Yesterday I went to make a new partition on my hard drive because i was going to put ubuntu on it but the program crashed before it was done. I forgot about it and this morning when i started up my computer it wouldn't boot. I tried making it boot from my HDD and from a windows 7 installation disc. When it boots from the hard drive it says it cant find an OS. Can someone help me fix this? I have a lot of stuff on my hard drive that i dont want to lose.
If you guys need more info to help feel free to ask. Thanks guys.
Im on win7 x64.

A:Made new partition - windows wiped from hard drive

Boot into the Win7 disk to look for your files and then rescue them to external flash via Copy & Paste - in Windows Recovery Console.

If you find your files intact alongside a Windows folder on a partition which might not be lettered C because you are in Windows Recovery Console, then there is still hope to repair it following Troubleshooting Windows 7 Failure to Start.

Otherwise once you have your files all backed up you can delete all partitions to Clean Reinstall Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/366363-made-new-partition-windows-wiped-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 56.76%

Greetings:  Wonder if anyone can assist me with a data recovery problem?

XP machine with 200GB hard drive. 

As the machine is old, the power button broke, and the owner was having other issues with software operation, so I opted to move the hard drive to a newer machine.  Pulled the drive, and using IDE to USB adapter in laptop was finally able to see the drive. 

Using Spinright to attempt data recovery, the error message is "error reading partition table disk 1 sector 0".

The sector 0 error makes me think virus.  Is there anything to be done to recover the owner's data?

A:Error reading partition table disk 1 sector 0

Hi

I don't think it is due to virus. I suspect bad sectors in the HDD surface. You will have better luck by attaching the HDD to an IDE port and then running Spinrite. Programs like Spinrite are using the SMART commands directly to interface with the HDD. Using a USB case will limit the functionality of these programs. 

Spinrite FAQ - https://www.grc.com/sr/faq.htm

SpinRite provides complete interaction with IDE-interface PATA (parallel ATA) and SATA (Serial ATA) drives, and it can also be used with any other type of drive — SCSI, USB, 1394/Firewire — that can be made visible to DOS through the addition of controller BIOS or add-on DOS drivers. To obtain the best performance, IDE drives can be temporarily removed from their external USB or Firewire cases and attached directly to the PC motherboard.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/496546/error-reading-partition-table-disk-1-sector-0/
Relevancy 56.33%

Found several similar problems but not quite what I've done to myself I was having some trouble dual-booting and wanted to get rid of some of the HP bloat on a Zbook G There's no COA sticker on the laptop so wiped Idiot activate Windows HD partition, including can't recovery I used ABR to backup the product key I re-installed Windows using one of the images downloaded via ISO download tool after reformatting the HD and wiping everything including recovery partition I also managed to delete the product key backup I had generated via ABR somehow though I had it stored in two locations So I've got Windows installed but Idiot wiped HD including recovery partition, can't activate Windows it's counting down requiring activation The current product key is purely numeric matching the Windows product ID in the report and when I click to activate it asks for a proper product key I used the NeoSmart OEM product key which did extract a key I can't use it for activation though as it has an N in it among other issues I'm sure MGADiag report Code Diagnostic Report ----------------------------------------- Windows Validation Data-- gt Validation Code Cached Online Validation Code x Idiot wiped HD including recovery partition, can't activate Windows Windows Product Key - -CM G-RPHKF-PW Windows Product Key Hash BRYMECVaSXedfumfu zryHJVY Windows Product ID - - - Windows Product ID Type Windows License Type Retail Idiot wiped HD including recovery partition, can't activate Windows Windows OS version ID C E - F- E -BBA - C DB DFF Is Admin Yes TestCab x LegitcheckControl ActiveX N A hr x Signed By N A hr x Product Name Windows Professional Architecture x Build lab win sp ldr - TTS Error Validation Diagnostic Resolution Status N A Vista WgaER Data-- gt ThreatID s N A hr x Version N A hr x Windows XP Notifications Data-- gt Cached Result N A hr x File Exists No Version N A hr x WgaTray exe Signed By N A hr x WgaLogon dll Signed By N A hr x OGA Notifications Data-- gt Cached Result N A hr x Version N A hr x OGAExec exe Signed By N A hr x OGAAddin dll Signed By N A hr x OGA Data-- gt Office Status N A OGA Version N A x Signed By N A hr x Office Diagnostics D FF - - D FF - - D FF - - D FF - - D FF - - D FF - - D FF - - D FF - - Browser Data-- gt Proxy settings N A User Agent Mozilla compatible MSIE Win Default Browser C Program Files x Google Chrome Application chrome exe Download signed ActiveX controls Prompt Download unsigned ActiveX controls Disabled Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins Allowed Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe Disabled Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control Disabled Active scripting Allowed Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting Allowed File Scan Data-- gt Other data-- gt Office Details lt GenuineResults gt lt MachineData gt lt UGUID gt C E - F- E -BBA - C DB DFF lt UGUID gt lt Version gt lt Version gt lt OS gt lt OS gt lt Architecture gt x lt Architecture gt lt PKey gt - - - -PW lt PKey gt lt PID gt - - - lt PID gt lt PIDType gt lt PIDType gt lt SID gt S- - - - - - lt SID gt lt SYSTEM gt lt Manufacturer gt HP lt Manufacturer gt lt Model gt HP ZBook G lt Model gt lt SYSTEM gt lt BIOS gt lt Manufacturer gt HP lt Manufacturer gt lt Version gt N Ver lt Version gt lt SMBIOSVersion major quot quot minor quot quot gt lt Date gt lt Date gt lt BIOS gt lt HWID gt B C FE lt HWID gt lt UserLCID gt lt UserLCID gt lt SystemLCID gt lt SystemLCID gt lt TimeZone gt Eastern Standard Time GMT- lt TimeZone gt lt iJoin gt lt iJoin gt lt SBID gt lt stat gt lt stat gt lt msppid gt lt msppid gt lt name gt lt name gt lt model gt lt model gt lt SBID gt lt OEM gt lt OEMID gt HPQOEM lt OEMID gt lt OEMTableID gt SLIC-BPC lt OEMTableID gt lt OEM gt lt GANotification gt lt MachineData gt lt Software gt lt Office gt lt Result gt lt Result gt lt Products gt lt Applications gt lt Office gt lt Software gt lt GenuineResults gt Spsys log Content x Licensing Data-- gt Software licensing service version Name Windows R... Read more

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/402398-idiot-wiped-hd-including-recovery-partition-cant-activate-windows.html
Relevancy 55.04%

Hi I have just recently gotten a new computer which came with Vista Previously what I have done with any boot hard boot Solved: Disc no sector Windows on XP - disk.. won't new operating system I got was installed it into my old computer However I came to find out you Solved: Windows XP Disc won't boot - no boot sector on hard disk.. can only have one computer assigned to each cd unless I wanna buy another one which is unecessary I wanted to get rid of Vista and return to XP but the XP disc would not install because of multiple errors such as missing ntldr So I decided to use deriks boot and nuke to clear the hard drive and that went smoothly Now here is my problem When I insert the XP cd it spins for a while and eventually comes to an error screen with quot no boot sector on hard disk quot quot CARDBUS NIC boot failed quot seconds or so later Solved: Windows XP Disc won't boot - no boot sector on hard disk.. I also get this message quot No bootable devices quot Also when I just start the computer normally it does go to a screen that says no operating system found which makes sense The weird thing is that the Windows Vista CD still starts up and goes to the installation area when I boot from CD drive So I know my CD drive is working properly I have tried the XP CD in another computer and it works fine The computer with the problems is a Dell Inspiron Sorry if this has been answered somewhere but I grew tired of reading through threads only to come to a very general solution of booting from the XP disc which wont work Since I used deriks boot and nuke I have not formatted and repartitioned the drive I don t know if that is the problem or not Any help would be appreciated Thanks Nate nbsp

A:Solved: Windows XP Disc won't boot - no boot sector on hard disk..

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-windows-xp-disc-wont-boot-no-boot-sector-on-hard-disk.792062/
Relevancy 54.61%

With the help of this forum and the Partition Wizard I have successfully installed Windows 7 64 bit on a separate partition (H) on my hard drive and I now have a dual boot system. The other partition (C:OS) runs Vista 32 bit OS.

The problem I have is that all my programs, files and settings are on the Vista partition. So I would like to remove Vista and merge the two partitions so that Windows 7 has access to my existing data and programs.

I have read a number of threads re merging, etc but I can't find one that specifically refers to my issue.

Thanks for your help.

A:Removing Vista from Dual Boot but retaining progs on Vista partition

Hi Paul, welcome to the Seven Forums.

Your issue is a typical upgrade issue, Internet in general and our forums in particular are full of advice in how to do it. As there's no way you can transfer your installed programs to your new Windows 7 installation, you have exactly two options.

Option 1, finish what you have already started:Copy your personal files from Vista partition to respective folders on Seven partition. You can do it manually or for instance using Windows Easy Transfer. Notice that your installed programs will not work on Seven even if you copy them and their folders to Seven
Delete the Vista partition
Use the free space (old Vista partition) to increase the size of the Seven partition
Re-install all your programs

Option 2, start from beginning:Do an in-place upgrade install, installing Seven on top of your Vista instead of clean install to another partition as you have done now. This option keeps all your installed programs and files exactly where there are now, no need to re-install them

Kari

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/315878-removing-vista-dual-boot-but-retaining-progs-vista-partition.html
Relevancy 54.61%

I have a Gateway PC that has been stuck in a Windows Update loop....installing 3 of 3.....for several days now. I am unable to change the boot device order due to the following error: "Failed w/ user password to Load Boot Menu. Press F1 to Resume."

Safe mode failed.....auto repair failed....last known good failed.....safe mode w/ command prompt failed. Upon hitting F1 the system goes back into the update loop.

I contacted Gateway support and they gave me instructions for doing a "Restore from Factory Default" using ALT+F10. I am immediately presented with this error: "BootSector Write!! VIRUS: Continue (Y/N)?"

I'm at a loss. I know how to clean boot sector viruses; however, I don't have a clue what to do if I can't boot to an optical drive. Any ideas??

Thanks!!

System Specs: Vista Home Premium 64-bit w/SP1
Gateway desktop DX4300
Norton Antivirus 2009

Relevancy 54.61%

Hello,
I have a laptop which has odd startup behaviour and which reflects the behaviour of another laptop, my sisters laptop that I was fixing.  I copied files from my sisters laptop to my laptop but scanned her disk before hand, but think now I've copied across a boot sector virus or something worse.

The beheviour of my laptop is when I press the start key, the button and power light come on, the fan comes on at a low speed, the dvd is checked, and then it repeats this behaviour with the lights going off, then after about 30 times on/off, it finally comes on, with the fan constantly on. But no screeen, no boot.

My sisters laptop reported almost the same behavioir. My laptop Windows 10. The other laptop Window 8.

A:Laptop will not boot, suspect boot sector virus or worse.

I've moved this to the more suitable forum,

Am I infected? What do I do?
This is now closed.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/601849/laptop-will-not-boot-suspect-boot-sector-virus-or-worse/
Relevancy 54.18%

Hi All,

I have a Dell Laptop with Win 7.

I recently used TestDisk to try to recover a lost data partition (not my system partition) but when I rebooted the Dell system utilities partition booted (not Windows).

Some digging has revealed that Windows was on C:\ but is now on F:\.

I have tried a number of things to set things straight including:Boot Windows recovery CD and run "Startup Repair" Wizard - this made some changes but now the system just continually reboots without displaying anything after the BIOS screen
bootrec.exe /FixMbr - completed successfully
bootrec.exe /FixBoot - ERROR: "The volume does not contain a recognised file system."
bootrec.exe /ScanOs - does not find any Windows installations
bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd - does not find any Windows installations
bootsect /nt60 all - completed successfully

Any further ideas or any diagnostic info I can provide to assist?

Thanks in advance!
Bob

A:Boot problems - boot sector messed up using TestDisk?

Boot free Partition Wizard CD to post back a camera snap of the maximized Drive Map and listings. This will be immediately revealing so we can help you best.

Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Seven Forums - Windows 7 Forums

Absent that your next best steps are described in Step 8 in Troubleshooting Windows 7 Failure to Start

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/263867-boot-problems-boot-sector-messed-up-using-testdisk.html
Relevancy 54.18%

I run a home-built dual boot system Specs Sector System Virus on Dual Boot Boot W K Pro all service packs current Win Boot Sector Virus on Dual Boot System XP Pro SP Intel P Ghz ASUS P B -C mobo GB HDD GB DDR RAM On the W K Pro partition I have Avast AntiVirus installed with all signatures current On the XP Pro partition I have AVG with all signatures current I also run Spybot S amp D I run FireFox on both partitions Iwas on the XP Pro system today and was booted off FireFox Boot Sector Virus on Dual Boot System and my system rebooted During a reboot I always get the option to either boot to W K Pro or WXP Pro At that screen I get a warning that I have a boot sector virus on my hard drive I am advised to put a clean floppy in and reboot and asked if I want to continue Long story short I was able to get past the prompts and boot up to W K Pro I ran my Avast AV and came up clean I also ran SpyBot and came up clean I was able to get back to the XP Pro partition and ran an AV scan a it found a couple things MsUpdate exe and Trojan Horse downloader generic AOVP It also changed cleaned up G WINXP system kernal dll wsock dll user dll shell dll ntoskrnl exe The PC seems to work fine except for the boot sector virus warning and prompts when I boot I m a bit reluctant to shut down at this point Any ideas how to proceed nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/boot-sector-virus-on-dual-boot-system.758050/
Relevancy 53.75%

Hi Folks I have contrived to partition active without partition? removing to change data from How get two active partitions on my PC After a week old hard drive D amp F - died I replaced now F amp G it with an old drive that had previously been configured with XP and as a boot drive I don t think it is acting as boot as drive C has an active partition and boot and largely the computer runs fine with the exception of G not being search index able And there being a phantom path in the backup which I can t reset So the question How do I remove the active setting on G it holds all the variable windows data and will it lose all the data Im at that point where a little knowledge is dangerous and have seen some genius replies so thought I would ask and see if you could help me out See attached screen shot NB The old drive partitions were formatted before being repopulated

A:How to change active partition without removing data from partition?

Hello and welcome to the forums MarkRocketman!

You can easily change the active/inactive flag on a partition easily by following these steps:-

Removing the Active Flag from a Partition
(on a drive that's not currenly being used as a boot drive)

First, open an elevated command prompt in Windows:-

1. Click Start Orb
2. In search box, type cmd
3. Right-click on cmd.exe, and choose 'Run as Administrator'

In the elevated command prompt type in the following commands:-

Diskpart
LIST DISK
SELECT DISK n (where n is the number of the HDD in question)
LIST PARTITION
SELECT PARTITION n (where n is the number of the Partition that holds G)
INACTIVE
Hope that helps!

EDIT:- As a supplementary addition here's how change it back to active:-

LIST PARTITION
SELECT PARTITION n (where n is the number of the Partition you want to activate)
ACTIVE
Exit (to exit Diskpart)

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/238800-how-change-active-partition-without-removing-data-partition.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Having upgraded my PC from Win8.1 to Win10 (30 days elapsed) I do no more need the recovery partition both the need to recover back to the factory system.So, I'd like to know what can delete in order to reclaim space.1 - may I delete the noname 14.80 GB recovery partition ?I am still using the OneKey app to periodically backup/recover my C: partition (app files are in C, but I don't know/understand the use of the Lenovo partition (it seems containing no still useful file).2- may I delete the Lenovo partition?Could somebody reply to question 1 and 2 ?Thanks.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/Lenovo-partition-in-Win10/td-p/3390370
Relevancy 53.32%

Hello, I have a dual boot Win 10 Pro/Win 10 Pro system. However, everytime I switch OS, I have to re-pair my Bluetooth mouse with that OS again. I have tried many methods online specifically for Win 7,8 /Linux dual boot, however it doesn't work with Windows 10.

Does anyone know any trick to make both OS recognize my Bluetooth mouse without re-pairing every single time? My bluetooth card is internal (Intel Wireless AC-3165 with BT).

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/61694-how-dual-pair-bluetooth-mouse-dual-boot-win10-win10.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Running Windows XP.

Is there a way, maybe some software, preferably free or low in cost, that will set up an automatic rewrite of the boot sector from a previously-made backup on every boot and that will run without user participation once it is set up?

Relevancy 53.32%

I installed i-tunes yesterday and now today I have a non boot drive
(Maxtor 40 gig) which now is raw format. It apperars in windows but
cannot get into it in Windows. Tried some Hdd diags and most I can
figure out is bas secttor something.
I have amd 64 dual,abit an6-sli MB, and WD boot drive
Any ideas? Or more info I can provide

A:non boot drive went to raw: boot sector bogus

test

this is a test

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/non-boot-drive-went-to-raw-boot-sector-bogus.40248/
Relevancy 52.89%

Please, someone help me.
I just upgraded (begrudgingly) to Windows 10 from 7.
Prior to the upgrade, I was doing some cleaning.
I used some adware and malware removal tools.
After the upgrade to 10, I decided to delete 'malwarebytes', and thensuddenly lost my internet connection. I don't know if it was the cause or not. But I have been unable to get the net back up and running.
I'm not sure if this is the place to ask for help but I have run out of ideas and cannot seem to get my internet back.
Please help!!
Kickytink

Kickytink, 9 minutes ago
Edit Report

A:No internet after installing Win10 and removing malwarebytes

I was doing some cleaning.
I used some adware and malware removal tools.
After the upgrade to 10, I decided to delete 'malwarebytes', and thensuddenly lost my internet connection.Click to expand...

the 'cleaning' and subsequent upgrade of win10 would not improve a system that maybe had issues. the settings of the earlier OS will remain. also the cleaning' may have left the system with unseen problems, other then just internet loss.

But, it?s possible that the current driver was designed for a previous version of Windows (win7). check to see if an updated driver is available on the manufacturers site, using another pc to access the net. download it and transfer via usb to the win10 machine.
also, try plugging in the yellow Network Cable to the router and see if this helps with the connection.

as a thought...the win10 upgrade offers a 30 day rollback if theres an issue or staying with win7 is preferred as the system of choice. this would undo the win10 installation and return to win7.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/no-internet-after-installing-win10-and-removing-malwarebytes.1171654/
Relevancy 52.46%

Hi my computer recently crashed on me for no reason that i know off so i ended up turning it off from the power switch and rebooting to find that when it started it it said that no boot sector could be found on the harddrive cdrom and floppy So sector Boot after a bit i Boot sector pulled out the harddrive and checked the leads etc all fine so i put back on and still got the same problem so next i took out some other bits like unplugged cd rom sound card tv card and tryed it and i manged to start safe mode abit but then it froze so then i restarted and suddly it loaded Boot sector normaly and now i have my computer booted back into windows But i dont want to turn it off incase it dont start back up again whilst its up does anyone know any programs or anything that i could run to check it Also do u think it had something to do with some of the hardware i taken out Any help or ideas would be great ipatriot nbsp

A:Boot sector

Hi,

It is quite possible that your master boot record is messed up. You did not say which operating system, so I am assuming XP. If you have XP and wish to take a chance of shutting down, here is how you can repair the MBR if that is what your problem is:

This is probably because your boot.ini file is messed up. Here is a possible remedy:

You can boot to the XP cd and when you see the "Welcome to setup" message, press the letter R.
You will then get a DOS prompt.
Then type: chkdsk /p [enter]
When that is done type: fixboot [enter]
Type: Y at the next prompt [enter]
Then type: exit [enter]
The system will now reboot into Windows.

If for some reason that didn't work, you can boot to the recovery console (example above).
Type: "chkdsk /r" [enter]
When done type: exit [enter].
This takes a bit longer, but the system should boot back into Windows.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/boot-sector.270495/
Relevancy 52.46%

I have a major problem. I have a Dell Dimension 8300 and recently had a hard drive crash. I have also being shutting the computer off by cutting the power (Had major problems shutting off). Now I have many errors/bad sectors on the hard drive.

I'm thinking of using the hard drives company's software to low level format it.
seagate.com/support/kb/disc/faq/ata_llfmt_what.html

From what I read it will erase my Master boot record. The question I have is -

Well my Recover CD that came with my computer install that (Boot sector) back on with everything else?

ANY help would be great. Thanks.

Relevancy 52.46%

Hi there. I was running XP and windows 7 64bit on the same disk. I wanted to repair XP for a new motherboard. Well it won't start, because of a driver problem so I get a blue screen. At this point I no longer care, I want to boot into my Windows 7 installation. However, the boot sector is messed up and boot process goes straight into XP. When I use the windows 7 64 bit install disk, it offers no repair options. What now? How can I fix the boot sector for windows 7? I already used fixmbr with the XP disk. HELP! Thanks in advance for your tip.

A:Bad boot sector

Hello.

Have a look at this tutorial at the link below, you may need the outlines in Option Two so scroll down and be sure to post back with any further questions you may have and to keep us informed.

Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times

DISKPART : At PC Startup

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/152051-bad-boot-sector.html
Relevancy 52.46%

I have installed Windows 7 from my hard drive (E:\). Now I have a small problem, the boot sector (or something like that) is located in E:\, I want to move it to C:\. Moreover there is two options in the bootscreen: Windows 7 and install Windows 7 RC. How I will remove the secon option?

Thaks in advance.

A:Boot sector(?)

Please post a screenshot of Disk Management, like this:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...en-forums.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/14016-boot-sector.html
Relevancy 52.46%

I have a Dell Inspiron that is running Win7 Home premium 64 bit and I am getting an error message while booting up it states
"No boot sector on internal hard drive"
"No bootable devices--strike F1 to retry boot"

When I strike F1 it boots just fine. I would like to fix this issue. Thanks in advance for helping

Relevancy 52.46%

can anyone tell me what is a windows boot sector and where can i get it?

Relevancy 52.46%

I've been trying to install First Defense-ISR Rescue on this computer and it won't install, it gets a -11 code and quits. The code means This means the boot sector is not a standard Windows boot sector. I have Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit. My question is, if I remove the Recovery Partition D will this change the boot sector. I have factory backup DVD's and made my own DVD's, plus I have a TI image of the drive so I'm OK in that department.

A:HP Boot Sector

I'd see if First Defense has a forum of its own. You may be able to get advice from someone who has actually done it with that product.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/239509-hp-boot-sector.html
Relevancy 52.46%

I'm seeing reports in other forums about folks suddenly having a 256MB FAT32 SYSTEM (Z partition appearing on their PCs!

One person did mention they had used a VPN app (which might have created this), but none of the others have done anything like that.

Anyone have any ideas we can investigate??

A:System (Z:) partition suddenly showing up on Win10 PCs

Z is usually a Virtual Disk

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/47497-system-z-partition-suddenly-showing-up-win10-pcs.html
Relevancy 52.46%

size quot quot Hey there folks this is what had happened yesterday I have a user on a Fat Client at our shop he got the Anti-Virus I was able to take it out by running the Kill exe and then Malware bytes There was no need for the Combo Fix but here s the thing After the Virus was gone I I'm wiped wiped a now out, Virus to files. unable Had any .exe use 2010 it and ran a full check on our computer and everything came back good So as soon as I went into Excel or any other exe file it would not allow me to run anything It would prompt me to choose from a file on the list like notepad media player so on and so on I looked up some information on it and what I kept seeing was that the virus Had a 2010 Virus wiped and wiped it out, now I'm unable to use any .exe files. or the program that I ran messed up the registery some how I guess what I need to know is is this something that can be set back up manually or is a program need to be ran and if a program neeeds to be ran how can I when it won t allow anything to run Had a 2010 Virus wiped and wiped it out, now I'm unable to use any .exe files. Also when this happens is it that same thing in regedit that gets messed up everytime because I Had a 2010 Virus wiped and wiped it out, now I'm unable to use any .exe files. ve seen this happen times now Thanks

A:Had a 2010 Virus wiped and wiped it out, now I'm unable to use any .exe files.

http://noahdfear.net/downloads/exe_fix.comRun that and exe association will be restored.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/306131/had-a-2010-virus-wiped-and-wiped-it-out-now-im-unable-to-use-any-exe-files/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hey
my 2nd hard drive keeps messing up now since i reformatted to NTFS for XP
it is really annoying it has all my setup files on and now the first boot sector is unreadable and casuing it not to work at all
any suggestions?
Thanks
-Ice

A:Unreadable Boot Sector

Check for a virus, then repartition it and reformat. If it still screws up its probable time for a new drive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/unreadable-boot-sector.146540/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hello everyone I am using XP x64, somehow by bootsector got corrupted. When I try to boot with windows CD it says ntkrnlpa.exe is missing/corrupt. I also used wondershare Live boot CD which also doesnt boot. Virtually nothing boots in my computer all has same error ntkrnlpa.exe is corrupt /missing.

Is there any way to repair this? It looks like it may be corrupted MBR. As I m not able to boot from any device (tried USB/CD) how can i correct the corrupted boot sector.

Please help ...

A:Help with repair of boot sector

Interesting problem.

First thing I'd do is to remove and shuffle the memory sticks. Maybe clean off their edge connectors with an eraser.

Is this a laptop or desktop computer? If it's a laptop. Unplug, remove battery, press and hold the On button a few seconds. Then remove and reinstall the memory sticks & the HDD.

If a desktop, I'd open the case and shuffle the memory, & remove and replace the connectors to the HDD.

Why were you booting with a Windows CD? Were you getting a BSOD when you tried to boot to the HDD? If so, any messages?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/help-with-repair-of-boot-sector-674842.html
Relevancy 51.6%

I have an HP m n Media Center PC and I think there might be a boor sector virus or infection that does not show up using normal av programs I have been having random BSODs and with out rhyme or sector boot virus? reason to me and usually after the auto restart it boot sector virus? seems ok It usually happens at start up or shortly after min to hr Originally I took it to CompUSA the only game in town for a diagnostic and they told me that there was no OS on the hard drive and that my hard drive was bad and so I bought a new one and they put it in Shortly after one week it started the same BSODs then finally a black screen quot cannot boot insert disk quot or something like that I took it back and they told me that there was no OS on the drive so they re installed the OS Vista Home Premium Again it worked fine for a while but now it s up to it s same tricks I don t want to take it back to them again because obviously they don t know what they are doing but to sell products that are not needed So I need your help with this please I heard about ancient viruses or malware like quot Brain quot that can infect the boot sector and cause random BSODs stops and the like How do I know for sure and how do I remove or fix it Or is that really my problem Here are my systems information gt gt gt gt gt gt gt gt gt gt gt gt gt gt gt gt gt gt gt gt gt gt gt http speccy piriform com results asAZZY MzpXw JEJIwrX C Thanks Ron nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/boot-sector-virus.1006318/
Relevancy 51.6%

I have a slave FAT drive in my XP machine Problem is XP is reporting it as RAW formatting and it can no longer be read in windows When I run the command prompt and run a chkdsk on it it comes up and says that it can't read the boot sector but it does state that the drive is FAT What can I use to Sector Problems Boot repair the boot sector The backup boot sector is also corrupted so a simple overwrite isn't the solution Now we have another problem Windows XP isn't reading the disc at all unformatted or not Testdisk recognizes the drive but doesn't find a partition table However If I load up my Windows Start up disk I can use the dir command and see all the files I'd be fine with doing a full copy of the files over to my drive Is there a tool that can do this or a command in Boot Sector Problems dos The tool would need to be dos and recognize FAT and NTFS

A:Boot Sector Problems

Hi stevetheman

I believe that either the Linux-based "Ultimate Boot CD" or the Bart's PE WindowsXP-based "Ultimate Boot CD for Windows" have tools that might be able to effect the copy of the data to the NTFS partitition.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
http://www.ubcd4win.com/

Alternatively, a quick-fix try would be to power-off, unplug, take static precautions, open the case, disconnect your main XP drive, put in your Windows 98 disk (whether CD or diskette), boot from that, and from the command prompt, try the command

fdisk/mbr

That should write a new FAT32 compatible boot sector without damaging your current partitions. But if you can copy your data first, that would be safest.

If all looks OK, go back (power off, unplug, etc.) and re-connect your XP drive & see if all can be seen Ok now.

Best of luck
. . . Gary

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/boot-sector-problems-111482.html
Relevancy 51.6%

how do i fix boot sector problems? i do an AVG scan and results read partition table (MBR) error and boot section of disc C: error please help

A:boot sector of disk C:

go here for info...

http://antivirus.about.com/od/securitytips/a/bootsectorvirus.htm

more here..

http://www.brienposey.com/kb/repairing_the_mbr.asp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/boot-sector-of-disk-c.482655/
Relevancy 51.6%

What exactly is a boot sector virus, how do you get it and get rid of it, and what does it do? A friend said something about fluxing(sp?) the hard drive but neither of us really know much about that, has anyone else heard of fluxing a hard drive? Thanks to all who took a sec to read through this.

Relevancy 51.6%

Friends thanks for your help The last time you or someone tried to help we were stopped by our Hijack This' inability to open or view my host file I am dealing with a long standing infection that has removed my control from my registry where I have found many suspicious files too numerous to mention And when I try to delete these files like IE I get a message saying 'certain values cannot be deleted' And I Virus? Boot Sector ran Kaspersky's rescue disc which found at least eight instances of 'Trojan Arc BZ' And claimed to remove it But it also showed a yellow caution sign that read 'DIsABLED' on the KRD report I have reformatted this Windows Home Premium HP Pavilion desktop wired through a Linksys e router with wireless disabled over twenty times trying Boot Sector Virus? to change things delete suspicious things to no avail Windows Update recently downloaded something called Windows Wireless Router Module which I immediately disabled Some of my passwords have been changed without my Boot Sector Virus? knowledge I have a Windows workstation listed on my computer properties sheet I have used every popular antivirus program but based on my observation they are all rendered useless in the registry I am desperate to resolve this problem which has been going on for years It almost seems as if my some unknown person knows what I am doing and negates my efforts I have good reason to think that the addition of an NT side by side has made my PC a client computer on an unknown network I need help and will cooperate fully to regain control of my computer Thank you very much DDS Ver - - Microsoft Windows Home Premium Boot Device Device HarddiskVolume Install Date PM System Uptime PM hours ago Motherboard FOXCONN AB Processor AMD Athlon II X Processor CPU mhz Disk Partitions C is FIXED NTFS - GiB total GiB free D is FIXED NTFS - GiB total GiB free E is CDROM F is Removable G is Removable H is Removable I is Removable Disabled Device Manager Items Class GUID eec ad - - f- a-dabf de f a Description SD MMC Device ID WPDBUSENUMROOT UMB amp C B amp amp STORAGE VOLUME USBSTOR DISK amp VEN GENERIC- amp PROD SD MMC amp REV amp Manufacturer Generic- Name H PNP Device ID WPDBUSENUMROOT UMB amp C B amp amp STORAGE VOLUME USBSTOR DISK amp VEN GENERIC- amp PROD SD MMC amp REV amp Service WUDFRd Class GUID eec ad - - f- a-dabf de f a Description SM xD-Picture Device ID WPDBUSENUMROOT UMB amp C B amp amp STORAGE VOLUME USBSTOR DISK amp VEN GENERIC- amp PROD SM XD-PICTURE amp REV amp Manufacturer Generic- Name G PNP Device ID WPDBUSENUMROOT UMB amp C B amp amp STORAGE VOLUME USBSTOR DISK amp VEN GENERIC- amp PROD SM XD-PICTURE amp REV amp Service WUDFRd Class GUID b a de- c- - a - a c f dc Description Microsoft Wireless Router Module Device ID UUID E E- B - -F B- C B F UMB amp D EE amp amp UUID E E- B - -F B- C B F Manufacturer Microsoft Name Microsoft Wireless Router Module PNP Device ID UUID E E- B - -F B- C B F UMB amp D EE amp amp UUID E E- B - -F B- C B F Service UmPass Class GUID eec ad - - f- a-dabf de f a Description Compact Flash Device ID WPDBUSENUMROOT UMB amp C B amp amp STORAGE VOLUME USBSTOR DISK amp VEN GENERIC- amp PROD COMPACT FLASH amp REV amp Manufacturer Generic- Name F PNP Device ID WPDBUSENUMROOT UMB amp C B amp amp STORAGE VOLUME USBSTOR DISK amp VEN GENERIC- amp PROD COMPACT FLASH amp REV amp Service WUDFRd Class GUID eec ad - - f- a-dabf de f a Description MS MS-Pro Device ID WPDBUSENUMROOT UMB amp C B amp amp STORAGE VOLUME USBSTOR DISK amp VEN GENERIC- amp PROD MS MS-PRO amp REV amp Manufacturer Generic- Name I PNP Device ID WPDBUSENUMROOT UMB amp C B amp amp STORAGE VOLUME USBSTOR DISK amp VEN GENERIC- amp PROD MS MS-PRO amp REV amp Service WUDFRd System Restore Points RP AM - - RP AM - Windows Update RP AM - Removed Microsoft Office Click-to-Run RP AM - Removed Microsoft Office RP AM - Removed Microsoft SQL Server Compact Edition ENU Installed Programs ActiveCheck component for HP Active Support Library Adobe AIR Adobe Flash P... Read more

A:Boot Sector Virus?

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer! I am HelpBot: an automated program designed to help the Bleeping Computer Staff better assist you! This message contains very important information, so please read through all of it before doing anything.
We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.
To help Bleeping Computer better assist you please perform the following steps:
*************************************************** In order to continue receiving help at BleepingComputer.com, YOU MUST tell me if you still need help or if your issue has already been resolved on your own or through another resource! To tell me this, please click on the following link and follow the instructions there.CLICK THIS LINK >>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/logreply/516419 <<< CLICK THIS LINK
If you no longer need help, then all you needed to do was the previous instructions of telling me so. You can skip the rest of this post. If you do need help please continue with Step 2 below.
***************************************************If you still need help, I would like you to post a Reply to this topic (click the "Add Reply" button in the lower right hand of this page). In that reply, please include the following information:If you have not done so already, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.A new DDS log. For your convenience, you will find the instructions for generating these logs repeated at the bottom of this post.Please do this even if you have previously posted logs for us.If you were unable to produce the logs originally please try once more.If you are unable to create a log please provide detailed information about your installed Windows Operating System including the Version, Edition and if it is a 32bit or a 64bit system.If you are unsure about any of these characteristics just post what you can and we will guide you.Please tell us if you have your original Windows CD/DVD available. Upon completing the above steps and posting a reply, another staff member will review your topic and do their best to resolve your issues.
Thank you for your patience, and again sorry for the delay.
We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan again: Download DDS by sUBs from the following link if you no longer have it available and save it to your destop.DDS.com Download LinkDouble click on the DDS icon, allow it to run. A small box will open, with an explanation about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running. Notepad will open with the results. Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results. Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet.
Information on A/V control can be found HERE.As I am just a silly little program running on the BleepingComputer.com servers, please do not send me private messages as I do not know how to read and reply to them! Thanks!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/516419/boot-sector-virus/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hey Everyone First time posting here but from the looks of it everyone seems very helpful and very knowledgeable Ill give you a quick history of whats happening so maybe this will help I recently got a PC from someone selling it in my area It was a great deal and had parts i was already going to get to build my own PC but at a much cheaper price So anyways i brought home my Virus??? HDD Sector Boot the PC and fired it up and first thing i HDD Boot Sector Virus??? saw was some message about over clocked too far I laughed and flashed the bios and fired it up again EWWWW Windows Vista Ok so i reformated cuz i cant stand vista and loaded up my own copy of Xp Home legit HDD Boot Sector Virus??? bought for my sister when she got her computer i still hate home but its all i had Finally got XP installed and turn it on for the first time into windows or so CMD prompts pop up flash between each other about times and then go away i was very confused but brushed it off for i hadnt installed windows in a long time and thought maybe i forgot about that So befor i even had my modem pluged into my computer my background changes to a b lack screen saying my IP addres and that someone had tryed to access my computer then a windows icon saying you have spyware please download this program and click here At this point i was very confused Later it seemed to all just go away and then come back at will My IE would load up with some Spyware page and i couldnt change it all very messed up stuff So then my friend offered to let me borrow his WnXP Corp copy and use that to install Real CD with real CD Key updatable and all I reformat and get into windows screen to see the EXACT same problems happening again Now this has happened both on WinXP home and WinXP pro Now keep in mind the only thing that is static in this situation is the HDD im installing the OP on I do have HDDs on my computer but are from the computer when i got it and is from my old one that is stall a decent g HDD Now my question is this Is it at all possible to put something on a HDD that will currupt it to do this The only thing that i can think of that can possibly help me would be to DOD wipe all of my HDDs just incase Any tips or usefully info is more then welcome nbsp

A:HDD Boot Sector Virus???

This may help http://antivirus.about.com/od/securitytips/a/bootsectorvirus.htm

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hdd-boot-sector-virus.637790/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hello,
I bought a 60gb Maxtor hard drive several months ago. I have been using it as a backup drive. I have just tried to install windows 98 on it so i can play games not supported by XP.
When set as primary hard drive i get a BIOS error message saying "BOOT SECTOR VIRUS DETECTED"
>How can i remove this virus as it will not let me install windows?
the drive works fine in windows as a secondary hard drive and anti-virus software has not detected anything on the drive.
I am pretty sure there is no boot sector virus on my primary drive as i have had the BIOS anti virus option on for well over a year.
Thanks for any help.

A:boot sector virus?

Get a windows 98 boot disk and run FDISK/MBR this will wipe MBR clean then reformat to make sure it didn't spread. Should work fine after that. I recently had a virus on the MBR which norton did not detect. After running fdisk it is fine now.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/boot-sector-virus.136013/
Relevancy 51.6%

I have a slave FAT32 drive in my XP machine. Problem is, XP is reporting it as RAW formatting and it can no longer be read in windows. When I run the command prompt and run a chkdsk on it, it comes up and says that it can't read the boot sector, but it does state that the drive is FAT32. What can I use to repair the boot sector? The backup boot sector is also corrupted, so a simple overwrite isn't the solution.

Relevancy 51.6%

My computer is currently infected with a boot sector virus which is preventing me from booting up my computer. When I try to boot it up I`m met with the 0x0000007B error message which states I`m infected.

Thanks in advance

A:Boot Sector Virus

According to MS Articles troubleshooting for "Stop 0x0000007B" errors and "STOP 0x0000007B" error message when you restart Windows, you may or may not be dealing with a boot sector virus. Can you boot into "safe mode"? If so, then try some of the troubleshooting suggestions provided.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/281464/boot-sector-virus/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hello For a while now i have a stupid problem which is like this In the begining it had the wierd way of reasigning letters to my partitions making C windows as D and what was supposed to be the boot sector whici is usually MB made automaticaly by windows it assign the letter C Of course this made windows not start anymore and i had choices either reinstall it or use a backup I use acronis backup and it seems it works to restore my windows and everything In the end i thought i solved the problem making the boot files be writen in windows c there was a tutorial about makind drive c Corrupt boot sector? active and then repair windows times to make the boot sector in drive c And it worked one month almost without the drive changing thing But today it happed again and i had an old tutorial about how to use the windows cd Corrupt boot sector? use repair and then cmd and there using this comands quot dispart quot quot list volume quot quot select volume c quot assign letter C this should have assign a partition the letter i want Bad part was that i found that windows had the letter C but in the table raw that sed FS whici it seems its the partition format ntfs it sed ntfs for all partition but on c it sed Raw My question is wtf is wrong with my computer

A:Corrupt boot sector?

Hi Jack

Open up a Command Prompt as an Administrator :

Steps

Click on

Type in CMD( Doesn't matter if its caps or not )

Right-click or Press Ctrl+Shift+Enter

Click on Yes to bypass the UAC window

Tip
You could even press Alt+Y
Type in this command

Code:
chkdsk c: /f /r

Tip
Change the letter " c " to what your Windows Letter is

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/280540-corrupt-boot-sector.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Ok problem is as follows:-

Win98
CD drive disapeared, can't see it in DOS either.
Exclamation marks in device manager next to, Primary IDE, Secondary IDE and gameport joystick.
Also under "Performance" there is an error message saying "compatibility mode paging reduces overall system performance" and it also warns me that the Master boot disk record has been modidied.

your help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

Relevancy 51.6%

I cannot boot into the OS. The BIOS states "Disk boot failure insert system disk." I have done that > into Recovery Console>
type in "fixmbr" > hit enter > and nothing ? My question is, not being familiar with the console and most likely not setting it
up properly, here is what is on the screen ( C:\>fixmbr ) Then I hit enter and it is not recognized ? I'm preety sure I am doing
something wrong. Need some guidance....... XP Home; SP3
Thanks,

Billjh

Relevancy 51.6%

i have a maxtor hdd that has a boot sector virus with no o/s and has just been zero filled to attempt to fix it this didnt work any ideas?

Thanks Danger Man.

A:Boot Sector Virus

The only idea i had was to clone a working hdd

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/boot-sector-virus.536117/
Relevancy 51.6%

Im trying to fix a problem on one of my office's computer We have determined that the problem is that the boot sector is corrupted Each time I try and boot into windows whether in last known good config or normally it will say it cannot go further because it is missing the following file hal dll The CD I am using for repair is Windows XP service pack sector boot issues which does have a full install of Win XP on it I have tried the following to copy hal dll into the hard drive Using repair install Everything was as normal until after I agreeed on the boot sector issues user licence The screen after the user licence didn't give me the option to repair the existing installation This is weird considering SP boot sector issues is meant to be an upgrade add on of WinXP or maybe is there something I don't know Using recovery console According to microsoft there is a command called expand which enables me to extract a file to a location see http pcsupport about com od termse p expand htm In recovery console I tried the following first expand d i hal dl c Windows says it's unable to create file hal dll The second thing I tried in recovery console was expand d i hal dl c windows system but it said access denied Even when I tried the latter with copy instead of expand I still get the same message The computer only has user the administrator so I find it is very strange that I cannot do this A simple type of logon into the recovery console didn't get the computer to ask me for a password Is there anything Im missing out or is there anything I don't understand thanks in advance

A:boot sector issues

The boot sector problem and the hal.dll problem are two completely separate issues. Try fixmbr and/or fixboot for the boot sector problem.

expand the hal.dll on another machine and hand-carry it to the broken system on a disk or thumbdrive.

The option to Repair depends on the disk you are using. I'm not certain, but I think I remember reading that the Retail disks will do a Repair Install, but the Upgrade & OEMs will not.

Just found this:

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/boot-sector-issues-536514.html