Windows Support Forum

(Help) 2 Computers + 1 Router = Network???

Q: (Help) 2 Computers + 1 Router = Network???

Can someone help me network home computers First of all please let me apologize if I am repeating a previous thread that might have already been discussed I did do a search but didn t come up with anything that would have helped or I could understand I Network??? 2 Computers (Help) 1 + = Router have computers both listed in my profile that I am trying to connect to the internet using a router AOpen AOW- U Port AOpen Switch I run XP on both machines and have tried using the Network Connection (Help) 2 Computers + 1 Router = Network??? Wizard but to no avail The network connection on this computer says quot connected Firewalled quot and works fine the kids computer problem one says quot Enabled Firewalled quot but does not connect to the internet The network card in this computer is a SoHoware PCI Network Adapter and the problem computer has a SMC EZ Card PCI SMC TX Can anyone in laymens terms explain to me how to get the kids computer to connect My ISP is Rogers Cable and I have their software on this computer do I have to install the same software on the kids computer Any help at all would be greatly appreciated and I also apologize for my ignorance on this stuff but I m hopeful someone can help Thanks very much in advance nbsp

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: (Help) 2 Computers + 1 Router = Network???

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: (Help) 2 Computers + 1 Router = Network???

From your post, it looks like you don't have the cable modem hooked up to the router. Unplug the modem from your computer and put it in the router (it doesn't matter which port). Plug in the cord for each computer into the router. Now, for each computer, complete the following steps:

1. Go to "Network Connections" and double click on the "Local Area Connection" icon (The one that says "Connected" and "Firewalled").

2. If you see a screen that displays the status of the connection, click on the "Properties" button near the bottom; if not, ignore this step.

3. Now in the middle of the dialog box is a list of things like "Client for Microsoft Networks" and "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)". Double-click on "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).

4. Check the options "Obtain IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically".

5. Click "Ok" and then "Ok".

Now everything should be in order. In layman's terms, the cable modem tells each computer what its address is and automatically sets up the entire network, you don't have the run the "Network Setup Wizard". Hope this helps! :approve:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-2-computers-1-router-network.31473/
Relevancy 67.51%

Hi,

Network Description:
5 computers are connected to Linksys router (192.168.1.1).
the Linksys router is connected to the internet.

NetGear router is connected to the Linksys router (192.168.0.1).
2 computers are connected to NetGear router.
These 2 computers are able to surf the Internet but I can't see the other computers in network through them...

How should I configure the NetGear router to be able to see the other computers in the network

BTW: all the computers configured to WORKGROUP

Thanks

A:Connect router to router and be able to see all the computers in network

There`s a good page HERE which almost certainly has the solution somewhere.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/connect-router-to-router-and-be-able-to-see-all-the-computers-in-network.54161/
Relevancy 64.5%

In the network map, the NAS shows as a computer, while the Router shows as a router, but also as a computer that can't be placed in the network. Also, the router shows model #, not SSID.

In explorer, when I view the network, both show up as computers, as well as router (infrastructure, but different icon from map, with the model name) and NAS (storage, but with text file icon).

Although this seems to have no negative impact on the network, at least that I'm aware of, I am curious about whether this is normal or not. I've gone through a bunch of different tutorials and similar threads, but none seem to have this particular issue.

A:Router and NAS show as computers on network

Just guessing here

DHCP (and perhaps DNS) server of router makes the network believe it is a server, hence a computer?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/374419-router-nas-show-computers-network.html
Relevancy 64.5%

I have a dlink wireless router with a Dell M1530 laptop and a XPS 420 desktop. After a lot of help from Dell, I set up the home network which was working fine. I even set up some network drives to look at and transfer files between machines. Now, the network seems to act strangely. Most of the time, the other machines mapped drives show up with the red X and can't get connected. The network connections don't show the other machine but an IP scanner will sometimes see them. I even used the IP scanner program to transfer files between machines even though they supposedly were not connected.

After the trouble I had getting the network set up, I hate to try to set it up again. The internet access to both machines works fine. I have all hard drives set to share. I use WEP security.

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/142096-seeing-other-computers-wireless-router-network.html
Relevancy 64.5%

Somehow my computers have come up with different network names for what appears to be a single network 2 get same networks- on to how network? router- same computers on 3 I can't find a way to make 3 computers on same router- 2 networks- how to get on same network? all computers quot see quot the network the same I have my desktop quot A quot running Win wired connection to quot network quot my laptop quot B quot running win wireless connection to quot my home network quot and my son's laptop running Vista quot C quot wired connection to quot my home network quot quot A quot will only recognize quot network quot and the other will only recognize quot my home network quot A will see only C and says it's on quot network quot A does not see quot my home network quot B will see A and C on quot my home network quot B does not see quot network quot C will 3 computers on same router- 2 networks- how to get on same network? see only A and says it's on quot my home network quot C does not see quot network quot I attached a diagram illustrating the problem Any ideas how to sort out this mess Allen

A:3 computers on same router- 2 networks- how to get on same network?

Are they all using the same workgroup name, and is the router set to allow home networking, the network names are set on the machines, so the identification of "network 2" can easily be renamed, it it likely this machine has previously been on another home network.

For the router setrtings it's best to check your manual as different manufacturers call it different things. But the wireless and wired networks are kept seperate and sometimes machines on the same network arent able to comunicate either, on mine the setting is called: virtual server.

Can you ping each machine from each other machine? Firewalls can often be an interfering factor, as a tempory measure you might try disabling firewalls untill you have it working and then enable each one and give them the right permission setting on an individual basis.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/193754-3-computers-same-router-2-networks-how-get-same-network.html
Relevancy 64.5%

Hi i have been suffering router network sky Lost new computers after slow WiFi speeds for a while now and sky have replaced my router I have two computers both running windows with the latest build Now since i started with this router i have lost my home network and i have not changed anything on the computer This is driving me crazy some times i can see my other computer but not able Lost network computers after new sky router to connect to it sometimes i can see nothing sometimes i can see the sky router Lost network computers after new sky router and sometimes not My network is Lost network computers after new sky router set to private on both computers and file and printing is turned on All i have done is plugged in a new router Sometimes i can see on my network a device called AirTies WAP what is this please After doing a google search i found that AirTies WAP is something to do with my Sky wireless booster is that right Im not able to see the other computer it says error x Ive done a google search on this but nothing seem to help

A:Lost network computers after new sky router

You have to set your network back up, any time the Router/Gateway is swapped out.

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/37435-lost-network-computers-after-new-sky-router.html
Relevancy 64.5%

Hi all I want to use a new LinkSys Cable DSL Router model befsr but some things are not working I have an older Netgear RP router and with that I can easily see all computers in my home and print etc In other words everything is configured and working at least with the old router The internet works fine on but seen on on old Computers router network on can not new one. home be the new router but I can t see computers in the home network It also can t find a newly added printer that I d like to share If I hook up the old router again then everything works again The printer is also found Once it s seen and shared I can then switch to the new router and print to it from another computer However I d like the new router Computers on home network can be seen on old router but not on new one. to be able to find that printer without relying on the old router every time If I re-install windows on a computer on the network then the printer of course goes away It then starts all over again I need the old router each and every time to find a printer for sharing Also the main problem of course is that I also can t see any computers in the home network with this new router I figure there must be some way to make the new router act Computers on home network can be seen on old router but not on new one. like the old one since the old one is so simplistic I m hoping I m missing something simple in the LinkSys s setup The systems all use Windows XP I d list all computer specs for all computers but this seems to be a problem with the new router and nothing in particular with the Computers on home network can be seen on old router but not on new one. computers To give you an idea one is a ghz Intel on an Asus motherboard with GB ram The other systems are ghz and on similar LAN connections are built into the motherboard The modem is an Arris cable modem All computers plug into the router which is then connected to the modem But again the router is causing the problem that prevents computers from seeing each other At least I think so since I can always hook up the old one and have it works Can anyone see something I ve overlooked Thanks Update I was able to somehow get the home network to be visible with the new router However I still can t get a new printer to be recognized with network sharing unless I hook up the old router nbsp

A:Computers on home network can be seen on old router but not on new one.

A bit more info would be helpful. Are the pc's static or dynamic ips? Can you ping anything? Have you been able to talk to your new router? Does it have the dhcp enabled/disabled? With a bit of info you might be able to duplicate most of the settings from the old to the new router if you can talk to them.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computers-on-home-network-can-be-seen-on-old-router-but-not-on-new-one.606178/
Relevancy 63.21%

Hi Everyone This is my first post so be gentle with me I need some networking help please We have wire port ADSL router Server - Running SBS with NICs port switch A load of > Computers Server Switch help. Router Network > config > computers running a mix of XP and vista One of the server NICs plugs into Network config help. Router > Server > Switch > Computers the router the other into the switch The router doesnt plug into the switch The server gets and internet from the switch with no problem I ve plugged all the client computers into the switch - so in theory they would connect to the server gt get their ips dhcp gt then gain access to the net via the server However this is not Network config help. Router > Server > Switch > Computers the case no client computer can ping or rdp into the server altough Network config help. Router > Server > Switch > Computers when doing IPCONFIG it seems to have got an ip from the server If i plug a computer directly into the servers NIC not the internet one I can RDP into it and get an internet connection Why is does it stop working once i plug them both into the switch any help is greatly appreciated as this one has been racking my brain for some time now Thanks Joe nbsp

A:Network config help. Router > Server > Switch > Computers

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/network-config-help-router-server-switch-computers.830677/
Relevancy 63.21%

I have a Linksys wireless router years on my main server unit and three other computers in Computers can't router on Solved: linksys network find the house that connect to it with the wireless cards All were working OK until yesterday when the could not connect I entered the router at and all settings were correct Network connections shows the connection called local area connection is not available says it is unplugged There are other connections there Solved: Computers on network can't find linksys router a and Solved: Computers on network can't find linksys router another called local area connection which is functioning as the linksys generic connection and thru which the server connects but the others cannot That connection is not the SSID that is encrypted by the router and they cannot connect to it I don amp t know if I am making this clear it amp s hard to describe but the bottom line question is how do I get the local area connection enabled only option by right clicking is amp disable amp AND how do I get the other three to recognize the router as they have been for some time Sorry I can amp t get this down to words or less Any help appreciated Hope you had a nice holiday JIm nbsp

Relevancy 63.21%

Hi everyone This is always my favorite place to ask the really obscure at least I think so questions and get excellent answers so here s another one for you My father recently got a new modem and router for his home network All the computers on the network can access the internet just fine yay but they can t see each other or the printers being shared boo Can anyone help Here s the relevant information Modem Comcast Business IP Gateway Model SMC Router Linksys Model wrt n We ve tried the usual unplugging resetting of each to no avail His computer is sparkling clean from malware so that s an unlikely cause Another oddity is that he can access the router administration area through all computers that are connected wirelessly but not through the one computer hardwired to it Trying to go to results in a standard quot Page cannot be found quot error This problem just started happening after he got the new modem installed The router was modem router printers and computers network on see after or new Can't Solved: bought a few months ago and the modem just a few weeks ago It seems strange that the modem would cause such a problem but I m not the expert here That s why I have you folks Any help is greatly appreciated nbsp

A:Solved: Can't see computers or printers on network after new modem and router

I can't imagine how the modem enters into this, but that particular "modem" is a router as well, perhaps that's part of the issue?

On that machine that can't access the router's control panel, I suspect it's a firewall issue. Try booting in Safe Mode with Networking and see if you have better success.

Let's go with the basics first for the file/print sharing issues.
Turn off any firewalls for debugging. If the firewall is the problem, you'll have to configure it to allow access to "trusted zone" addresses. Note that some firewalls must be completely uninstalled to stop them from affecting your networking.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt.

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands:

PING each remote computer by IP address, and if successful, PING by name. Open a command prompt as described above and type.

PING <ip address>
or
PING <computer name>

Where:
<ip address> - is the x.x.x.x IP address
<computer name> - is the computer name

A failure to PING is almost always a firewall configuration issue. Any failure to PING needs to be corrected before you go any farther.

Note: You can obtain the IP address and computer name of a computer by opening a command prompt (DOS window) and typing IPCONFIG /ALL. This should work for any Windows version. The IPCONFIG /ALL display will provide a wealth of useful information for debugging your network connection.

Check your Services are Started on all PCs:

COM+ Event System (for WZC issues)
Computer Browser
DHCP Client
DNS Client
Network Connections
Network Location Awareness
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Server
TCP/IP Netbios helper
Wireless Zero Configuration (XP wireless configurations)
WLAN AutoConfig (Vista wireless configurations)
Workstation

Note: You can check the services in Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services.

All of these services should be started, and their startup type should be automatic.

If a service is not running, open it's properties and check the dependencies. Check each of the dependencies and see which one is preventing the service from running. Checking the event log is also a good idea here, there may be clues to what is failing.
All computers should be in the same workgroup for computer browsing to function properly. File & Print Sharing has to be enabled on any computer you wish to share files or printers from. You also need to actually share the resource in question from My Computer, right click on the drive/printer/folder, and select sharing.

If you encounter difficulties accessing computers that are visible in Network Places (Network and Sharing Center in Vista), make sure the computer being accessed has an account with the same name/password as the system connecting to it uses to login. NOTE: Vista's default is to require a password on the account to enable file/print sharing.

While the default NetBIOS setting is correct for normal network configurations, it's possible for it to be altered, and it costs nothing to make sure it's correct. NETBIOS over TCP/IP must be enabled for normal network browsing. You can open a command prompt as described above and type the following command: nbtstat -n. This will display the status of NetBIOS or indicate it's not configured.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-cant-see-computers-or-printers-on-network-after-new-modem-and-router.836191/
Relevancy 57.19%

Hi guys i have purchase two wireless routers by mistake one Belkin G Wireless Router F D computers address" "acquiring some router, network Netgear in stuck - and one Netgear Rangemax N WPN N it is amaizing to see that the belking one is about the size of the netgear and it performs just AWESOME so simply and quot troublefree quot In the Netgear router, some computers stuck in "acquiring network address" other hand i have this netgear its cute but it is BIG SLOW at start up and once i disconnect one of the devices using its internet its impossible to get connected again The only reason why i am stuck with the netgear is because the wifi on off button ok here is the problem in more details just to give you an idea and to help you to help me to discard pc configs related issues ALL my devices were connected without ANY problem The device list is -LAPTOP LAN -LAPTOP WIFI -POCKETPC WIFI -PALM WIFI -phone WIFI But when i use the netgear router only three of the devices get connected the laptop is stuck in quot acquiring network address quot and the pocket pc show is connected but i cant navigate Clue in the laptop if i turn it off suspend or hibernate while it says quot acquiring network address quot when i get it back it connects automatically without problem but if i disconnect it manually or if i turn off and nn the router if i want it surfing the web i have to suspend then bring it back again OR Clue when i disable all security option i mean instead quot WPA-PSK TKIP quot i choose quot NONE quot all of the them get connected and working

A:Netgear router, some computers stuck in "acquiring network address"

Hi Kharl, is this setting on your Netgear in use ????

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/270072-netgear-router-some-computers-stuck-acquiring-network-address.html
Relevancy 53.75%

First VPN Separating one Solved: two router on one Firewall(router) computers from off THANKS for your time - anyone who responds And yes I have searched and searched and understand what I need to Solved: Separating one router from one VPN Firewall(router) on two computers do mostly but need some expert opinions We have a cable modem going Solved: Separating one router from one VPN Firewall(router) on two computers to my wife s work Netgear ProSafe VPN Firewall which goes to her work computer and VOIP phone The Netgear is basically a router and uses The problem is I want to open some ports for our home computer and use wireless in our house - but cannot access her work router not wireless or have my wife understand anything I ask her to ask her IT people to do So I have a Linksys wireless router that I want to connect to the modem FIRST -- so that I can control the wireless on that and open ports as needed etc and then connect her work router to ours where hers can then go off to her equipment The issue I cannot change her router settings at all nor the gateway IP s etc -- I want our home computer to not have to use her router s settings anymore as currently everything is plugged into hers as there are eight slots Both CPU s are running XP I know in networking two routers you have to turn one DHCP to auto get IP s from the other etc and make one address static - like while the other is with the range of IP s the second router pulls from but I do not know how to do what I want on my router WHILE using the settings from her router Can I reverse the process order like this If I connect my wireless router to hers yes it still works but then I cannot open the ports I need as they get blocked on her router I do have a Linksys workgroup switch that I could use - in which a coworker suggested having the modem go to the switch then both routers connect to the switch - where each router would go to the respective computers etc --- but I dont see that making a difference as the router settings are what s important IMO THANKS for any help nbsp

A:Solved: Separating one router from one VPN Firewall(router) on two computers

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-separating-one-router-from-one-vpn-firewall-router-on-two-computers.756213/
Relevancy 51.6%

As the topic says, I'm having an issue where a computer on a network cannot see the other computer on the network.  It is able to connect to the internet, and I double-checked based on earlier threads and the network discovery IS ON.  This computer
is able to create a Homegroup and the other computer on the network is able to see the shared folders when it joins the homegroup, but I cannot create a homegroup on the
other computer and have this computer see it to join it.  The other computer sees this computer in Windows Explorer under Network, but as far as the problem computer is concerned, it is the only computer on the network.
Despite this, when I open up the Network Map, it shows both computers, the router, and the modem.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/6789f7fd-6dc6-4b5f-b997-32480bd340c0/windows-7-cannot-see-other-win7-computers-on-network-other-win7-computers-on-network-can-see-this?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 49.02%

Unable to see home network computers in Windows Explorer Network screen I have a home network with laptops and desktop The desktop I use as a quot file server quot in that all work done on the laptops is stored to the to Explorer Unable network computers Windows in see scree home Network desktop The desktop computer name is HAL One laptop is fine and sees the network The other just stopped seeing it rebooted the laptop rebooted HAL did a number of refreshes without any luck I opened EXCEL and found a worksheet that was listed that I knew was saved Unable to see home network computers in Windows Explorer Network scree on HAL Was able to open the file and when I tried the SAVE AS I could navigate through all of HAL just as normal Went to Windows Explorer and still no HAL listed as a COMPUTER on the NETWORK I have a internet connection so I know I am making it to the router at least And when I check NETWORK AND SHARING CENTER it shows an active home network Unable to see home network computers in Windows Explorer Network scree The laptop is running Windows Home Premium Service Pack Build Thanks in advance for any help George

A:Unable to see home network computers in Windows Explorer Network scree

Still working on the problem. Tried to do a system restore back to the point where everything was working. Still no HAL showing as a network computer; Excel now does not recognize the path that worked yesterday. But now I am able to create a shortcut that will take me to HAL on the network. Guess this is a good enough fix for right now. When I go to Windows Explorer, Network it still only shows the 2 laptops and not HAL......WHY????

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/229783-unable-see-home-network-computers-windows-explorer-network-scree.html
Relevancy 49.02%

I am about to return this brand new computer running Vista since it won t connect to my exiting computers on my wireless network It will however connect to the wireless netork to get out to the internet Here is what I have Brand new computer runnig Vista home premium Wireless netwrok external netgear ma network tomy connecting on but computers other not vista wireless network connection that can vista connecting tomy wireless network but not other computers on network see the internet I am using it now It can see a windows computer as well as my laptop running Windows Xp but when I try to connect to those computers it gives me an error message I googled this problem and disabled my vista connecting tomy wireless network but not other computers on network firewalls I created same user accounts on all with same passords I also tried same user accounts with no password neither works Any suggestion before I return this i relaly want to make Vista work since it at last looks different I like new interface - makes my life more interesting - I know VERY SAD Any suggestions nbsp

A:vista connecting tomy wireless network but not other computers on network

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-connecting-tomy-wireless-network-but-not-other-computers-on-network.631622/
Relevancy 48.59%

After starting my Windows laptop if I go to the Control Panel Network and Internet View Network Computers and Devices a device is listed that is not on my network It is listed as either a Ralink wireless client Model RT U or a full ariel Model KFARWI and if I right click on the device and view the properties the Model Name and MAC Address are shown I checked the Device Manager and it was not listed in the Device Manager Also my router did not show it as an attached device I have Win laptop a Win laptop an iphone android phone ipad WD NAS and HP wireless printer connected to a Netgear AC wireless router with MAC address filtering enabled When I log into the router I have never seen either device mentioned above listed on the router list of attached devices nor do any of the devices I have on my network have the MAC address listed for either device After a short period of time the device disappears I have set up my network as a private network My concerns are Are the devices a security issue and can they access my network How come my computer detects them The devices do not list either a work group or a network location so am I correct in assuming the devices are not connecting through my router Is there anything I can do to prevent it from being detected

A:Unknown Network Device in CP\View Network Computers, Dev.

Do you have a Kindle?  This (KFARWI) looks to be an Amazon Android device - of which the Kindle is the most common device (IMO).
Search Google for Amazon KFARWI

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/579758/unknown-network-device-in-cpview-network-computers-dev/
Relevancy 48.59%

I have created an ad hoc wireless network by the name quot Trial quot and created a network key as quot letstry quot Now I am trying to login to this network from other computer which is in the same room at ft distance This ad hoc network appears files in to network copying ad ad network computers connecting from hoc hoc and in the list of available networks When I connecting to ad hoc network and copying files from computers in ad hoc network try to connecting to ad hoc network and copying files from computers in ad hoc network login it asks for the network key I provided network key and then confirmed it now when I click connect instead of getting connected to first computer I am getting pop up window mwssage In the title bar of the pop window it says quot Wireless configuration quot In the message it reads quot The network password needs to be bits or bits depending on your network configuration This can be entered as or ascii characters or or hexadecimal characters quot Then I changed network key to quot letstry quot i e exactly ascii characters and now I am able to connect to the ad hboc wireless network of first computer Does it mean that network key has to bne exactly or ascii characters and nothing else than that If not then quot letstry quot network key has ascii characters between and ascii characters then why am I getting this kind of message But now I can not browse files of fisrt computer from second computer or vice versa When I am connnected to ad hoic network and open network and sharing center I see only one link quot My computer - gt internet quot which is broken Usually the link diagram is shown as quot My computer - gt Network - gt internet quot When I am connected to ad hoc network quot network quot part from the diagram is missing If there is quot network quot part in the diagram may be I can browse computers in the network and see other computer But since I can not see other computer this way how can I connect to other computer Whats the way to browse other connected computers in the ad hoc network How do I copy files from one computer to other When I click on computer I can not see the files or folders of other computer Please guide me how to copy files

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/connecting-to-ad-hoc-network-and-copying-files-from-computers-in-ad-hoc-network-479434.html
Relevancy 48.16%

Hello y'all,

If anyone could share some info to me who knows nothing about router how they work, or how one is set-up between two computers?

We at the moment have an Intel PII, with 434MHz and has Rogers Cable Internet plugged into it. Soon we will be getting an Intel 2.6 GHz P4 with onboard LAN. My wife wants me set up both with internet so she and I can each do our own things at the same time.

I don't know the first thing about setting up a router system. I know that it can be set up using cables or radio (wireless).

Could anyone clue me in to what sort of equipment I need for this to happen?

Wogster.

Relevancy 48.16%

We recently bought Age of Empires II The Conquerors Gold Edition because my co-workers had it and wanted me to play Well we became addicted with the game and because of that bought a second computer and a second game along with a LinksysDSL Router so my boyfriend and I can both play at the same time We then come to find that ever since we bought this router I can No longer HOST a game and We can t figure out how to both play at the same time even when someone else is hosting Computers, 1 2 Router a multiplayer game Only computer can connect to a 2 Computers, 1 Router multiplayer game but not simultaneously We ve come to the conclusion that if we can figure out a way for 2 Computers, 1 Router one of my computers to HOST a game then the other computer can just connect to that game via LocalLAN and all my co-workers can just connect to the game the regular way I guess via IP Is this possible OR if we can just BOTH connect to a different host s IP at the SAME TIME that would be great too Can anyone give us a solution to this problem We just want to play all together nbsp

A:2 Computers, 1 Router

Im not too sure why it wouldn't work on the LAN side but from the internet you will need to refer to the game and router manual on how to set up your filters on router to allow your co-worker to play with you. Prehaps it's the same issue on the LAN side. Shouldn't be, but a possibility.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/2-computers-1-router.497080/
Relevancy 48.16%

How do I connect 2 computers to a router. My new computer, a Windows Vista can't detect my browser even if it says it is connected.

A:2 Computers to router

Before we can really help you with this, we need a little more information, like the brand of the router, what kind of internet you're using, are you connected wirelessly or through ethernet? Is the other computer working or are they both having problems? Does it say it's connected in the system tray(bottom right hand corner of the screen)? Any other information that might be useful?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/2-computers-to-router.630102/
Relevancy 47.73%

I have a friend who now has a desktop computer with XP and he plans to buy a laptop with Vista. Will this create a problem with a router or does it not make any difference what system the computers have that will be connected to it?
Thanks,

A:Connect computers to Router

It will not create any problems, you can have any mix of computers running any O/S they like on the same router/network.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/connect-computers-to-router.912551/
Relevancy 47.73%

Hi I have a dlink router behind a dsl connection with a STATIC IP I believe its the dl- but not positive because its offsite Its a port older cheap one with one antenna that came from my ISP with the modem Anyhow I have two questions Its for a double duplex house with multiple computers approximately or connections Some of the computers are Mac s and Multiple behind router computers a some are PC s Multiple computers behind a router I had trouble getting all the computers to connect easily through a WEP or bit encryption and Multiple computers behind a router found on another site Multiple computers behind a router it wasn t possible with so many many different wireless cards so Ive kept it open since Is this true Is there a way to password protect the connection without an encrypted key so all the wireless computers can connect inside the residence s but not to anyone else in the neighborhood info The computers are for school term tenants so I don t want to have to reconfigure their computers every months they change just give them a password in with low security Im not worried about hackers Im worried about the bum next door using the open connection to download movies I also have a CCTV DVR on the premise watching the parking lot that is plugged into port with a patchcord to the above router Ive found that the local IP changes nearly every couple days ie will change to for no reason This intern limits my access into the DVR remotely The DVR has a server and is set to port I dont think I can change the DVR from DCHP to Static so is there a way to set the IP s on the hardwired ports and to say xxx xxx xxx etc and have it stay like that That way when I forward the port to the DVR in the router the DVR stays on that port info I have a diagnosis screen on the DVR that I can see the local IP of the machine Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 47.73%

We have a server connecting all computers in our computer departments and that server is always connected to internet. It is configured to be the dhcp, dns and router ... I use system no.39 and i have my files in that system.. Is there any way i can access those files through this main server connected to internet from my home without making it an ftp/http or any other server (which i am not permitted to do) but i can talk to the lab assistant(a new guy with not much info ant networks) to make any small alterations in the server .....

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/accessing-computers-behind-router.1063049/
Relevancy 47.73%

This is more of a general networking question (I think) but I'll give it a shot here anyway.

I have 2 wireless routers/switches in my house. I have a router downstairs and one upstairs

My setup is currently like this
Downstairs:
Computer
Printer
Modem
Upstairs
computer
HTPC (media center pc)
I use the printer on the downstairs computer to print everything, and this used to work fine until I installed a new router upstairs. My old setup was that upstairs I had a wireless router, and a separate switch, and the router was feed internet through the switch. Now that I installed a router/switch combo, I cant see any computers except for whats directly connected to the upstairs router.

How can I solve this so that I can again see computers on the other router?

A:2 routers, cant see computers on other router

I have a question, How did you connect the 2 routers too each other?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/158989-2-routers-cant-see-computers-other-router.html
Relevancy 47.73%

This connect certain router SOME computers cannot to is SOME computers cannot connect to certain router a strange problem and I cannot find ANYONE else who seems to have it My roommate's computer is the only known computer that will connect to our wireless router in fact all other computers don't even pick up the signal at all as in there are quot no wireless networks in range quot My pc and at least others that I know of cannot find the wireless All of these computers have no internet issues in all other situations - wireless and LAN This is the only router modem that gives problems I used to connect through LAN to the router and that worked fine My computer had a problem Windows was reinstalled and the computer that I borrowed in interim connected through the LAN just fine still not wireless Now my computer fixed with Windows reinstalled will not connect through LAN - I just get quot Limited or No Connectivity quot Some computers can connect through the LAN some do not there is no pattern with brand model of computer My computer's stats are IBM Lenovo Thinkpad T Windows XP Professional SP Intel CPU T The router's stats are Motorola SURFboard model SB As you can probably guess Microsoft says it is a router problem and Motorola says it is a Windows problem we have never tried to connect an Apple THINGS I HAVE TRIED --power cycling router computers --resetting winsock --flushing DNS resolver cache --trying to release IP error quot The operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this operation quot --tried to renew IP error quot The operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this operation quot This is what shows up when I do quot ipconfig all quot Microsoft Windows XP Version C Copyright - Microsoft Corp C Documents and Settings Melissa gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name melissa- xu kwh Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Unknown IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Description Intel R PRO Wireless ABG Network Connection Physical Address - - - - - Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Intel R PRO PL Network Connection Physical Address - - - -B - D Dhcp Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration IP Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Description Bluetooth Device Personal Area Network Physical Address - -CE-EE- F- Please for the love of god someone help me This is the most ridiculous problem ever Thanks all

A:SOME computers cannot connect to certain router

Welcome to TSG....

Wireless routers have security settings for WAP, WEP etc and if the SSID is turned so it is not visible like it is turned off other laptops or computers will not see it unless they have the correct security settings for the particular router. The best I could do is give you some articles that might help solve this:

Quick and Painless Wi-Fi Security
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1770356,00.asp

How to troubleshoot wireless network connections in Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;870702

I think that if the security like WEP or such is turned-on and the SSID is set this might be the problem becasue the router works but just with the one computer.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/some-computers-cannot-connect-to-certain-router-246998.html
Relevancy 47.73%

Hello,

So everything was fine until today when I woke up. My internet wouldn't work, it was saying that I was connected with internet access but never gave me it. I checked my router settings and it shows all the correct things.

So then, I decided to check my brother's computer which is in the same room and he couldn't connect either. I turned my computer off and somehow, my brother's computer had internet access and could access the internet.

So, I need help.

Posting from my brother's PC now. I have attempted everything, restarted the power to everything about 5 times. Our internet has always worked and has until today.

A:Can't connect two computers to one router?

router should be set up with dhcp ON, so it can assign different IP addresses to the pcs. both pc's should be set to obtain their IP addresses automatically. if the pcs have been set with fixed IP addresses, they will conflict and only one will get on, typically the first one that boots up, which sounds like your problem. hopefully you have access to the pc adapter settings and the router settings. if you must use fixed ip addresses make sure they are different on each pc.

note: even if the router is set to supply dhcp, it also may have a setting to force a fixed IP to a specific MAC address, which is unique to each pc. again, if used, this must assign different ip addresses to each device. also check your lease tables.

check your pc settings by opening an admin. command prompt and typing

ipconfig /all

then hit return. compare settings to same on working pc. incorrect dns settings can cause an apparent good connection without it being able to actually browse.

if the non-connecting pc is not picking up an IP correctly, windows assigns an APIPA (automatic private ip address) in the range 169.x.y.z. the router won't let that get on the internet tho it's OK for your local area network. sometimes right clicking the notification tray icon & choosing 'troubleshoot...' might fix that.

checking the logs on the router, and on the pc (with event viewer) may guide you as well if the above doesn't.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/267949-cant-connect-two-computers-one-router.html
Relevancy 47.73%

Recently we have networked our two PC s together in Router Suggestions Computers 2 - 1 the same room We are using a Belkin Wireless G router Model F D - 2 Computers 1 Router - Suggestions Both PC s are wired we are not utalizing the wireless capability yet Before my PC was thrown into the mix the surfing streaming etc and playing World of Warcraft was perfect Now that both PC s are hooked in our latency lag is terrible We are constantly booted from the game if one is surfing and the other is playing we have the same problem Even if PC is completely turned off we are still having teh same issues Our internet connection is a cable connection from Time Warner Road Runner we pay for the highest tier package that they offer Just an FYI we tried this same deal with his mother s computer when he still lived there and were having the same problems Cable connection as well My boyfriend seems to think we need a better more expensive router but I am not sure this is the problem My brother and I had PC s hooked up to a Linksys switch not sure what model and we ran PC s in our house just fine sometimes all playing WoW together although our net connection was DSL not cable My thoughts are Cable internet is no good for what we are trying to accomplish Maybe one of us needs to switch our Ethernet card Possibly a switch instead of a router is the answer Any suggestions are greatly appreciated I don t have exact specs for our PC s but we have up to date RAM Graphics etc I am starting to think we will never be able to network our PC s in perfect harmony and this makes me sad not to mentioned frustrated nbsp

Relevancy 47.73%

Hello,
I am trying to connect my mac osx with a windows 98 through my D Link router.
I am currently able to connect to the internet with both computers but I would like to be able to moves files between the two computers.
At the moment the only way for me to move files from one computer to another is to send and receive the files to and from an external server, (e-mail).

I have read some things on enabling file sharing but I am unsure on the specific steps for both the mac and pc.

gordie

A:connecting two computers with router

I know you need to set up the appletalk protocol on the Windows 98 machine. Not sure what you do after that.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/connecting-two-computers-with-router.365176/
Relevancy 47.73%

I have a wrt54gsv4 router and this is the second time this has happened. Nothing can "see" the router. Not my 2 dell computers, or my wii. But i can get on the internet through another computer that is directly connected to the router which is connected to the modem. The first time this happened, a day later, it "fixed" itself and i dont know how. I can find other routers, but not my own

Relevancy 47.73%

Okay earlier today I got my old Dell computer set 2 Computers Solved: with 1 router? up and did a fresh install of Windows XP using the disc it came with after adding sata drivers with nLite So now I have a fresh clean Windows XP SP lol on it and I want to be able to access the internet On my current Sony computer SP I can surf the web no problem My ISP is comcast and I have a cable modem from them Idk model or anything And I have a Linksys WRT GS v hooked up Here is how I have it From the back of the cable modem I have the cable going into the wall the power cord and an ethernet cable going into the Linksys Solved: 2 Computers with 1 router? router From the back of the router I have the power cord the ethernet cable from the modem another ethernet cable going into the back of the Sony and a last ethernet cable going into the Dell The problem is nothing is being recognized on the Dell When I go to networks the only thing listed is quot Connection quot and it says enabled So when I go to IE obviously I get quot The page cannot be displayed quot I have tried turning off and on and plugging in and out all the modem router stuff So did installing a fresh copy of XP Solved: 2 Computers with 1 router? disable something to get internet Any help would be appreciated thanks edit Okay I was looking through some things and I see a thing called quot Problem Devices quot and one of them says quot Ethernet Controller quot Is this the problem If so where can I download it Solved: 2 Computers with 1 router? I checked on dell s website for my model XPS Gens but there is nothing called ethernet controller Under network drivers there is Dell-Utility Intel- Diagnostics Utility and Intel-Driver Is it Intel Driver Thanks edit haha wow I installed the driver and now the internet works Sorry for useless post just took me a while to figure out Close this please nbsp

A:Solved: 2 Computers with 1 router?

xMaybe said:

Close this pleaseClick to expand...

You can mark this topic as "Solved" using the "Mark Solved" button above your original post.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-2-computers-with-1-router.858565/
Relevancy 47.73%

hi im having problems getn my bro's computer (toshiba laptop) to wirelessly connect to my router (cisco linksys e3000) wirelessly but works with cord. he connects to my router and aftr it attempts to idenify the router it shows unidentified network and local only (password was a success)

mine (windows vista) connects fine wireless and with wire, xbox live works peachy (using cord for best connection possable)

no problems with mine or xbox live so how do i get my bro's comp to work wirelessly with my router

Relevancy 47.73%

Hi Guys

Need your help again......I have two computers..xphome and xppro connected thu a NETGEAR DG834GT router.I need to have vnc on both of them for remote support..this is where the problem lies.

I have allowed vnc thru the firewall on the router and have had to port forward 5900 to 192.168.1.2. VNC works a treat

i now need to connect to vnc sever on 192.168.1.3. I have been told that i may need to change port to say 5901 then allow that port thru thre firewall and forward to 192.168.1.3 ...tried this and cant get this to work
any ideas
Cheers
Raz

Relevancy 47.73%

Hello,

Well I just got help from all you guys and got my internet working, so I figured I'd ask another question I had.

I wanted to connect my laptop to my buddy's computer and transfer files, and i know i need a cross-over cable to connect them, but i was wondeirng if theres any way i can do it with my extra router and a couple extra ethernet cables i have around here so i dont have to go buy another cable. Is this possible??

A:Connecting 2 Computers Through Router

Yep. If you connect the two machines to the LAN ports of the router, you should be able to connect if you setup file/print sharing. This TCP/IP Home Networking and File Sharing Tutorial should get you started.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/connecting-2-computers-through-router.592582/
Relevancy 47.73%

I have 3 computers hook up thru a linksys router 1 computer is using XP Home the other 2 are using W98. All the computers are able to see the computer icons. The XP computer can access the files on the 98 computer but the 98 computers can not access the files on the XP computer a message pops up " \\XP is not accessible No permission to access resource."

Relevancy 47.73%

I have a wireless router and sometime ago I think I disabled the encryption and security features on it because I was running a VPN on my computer (I'm using StrongVPN) and the encryption blocked the VPN from working. Anyway, our internet has been super slow in the evenings lately and we called our ISP. They said since a few weeks ago, we've been using data transfer of 2-3GB per day, which is weird because I don't think I download that much. So I want to check if someone else has been using our connection through the wireless router. (It is password protected.) How do I do that?

Relevancy 47.73%

Ok, thanks y'all for listening.

I am running DD-WRT on my wireless router and there is this mysterious MAC address that has many connections when our download bandwidth usage goes up. I don't know where to start on this, but so far, this past fall, our router IP and password have mysteriously changed.

Edit:
The MAC address appears to be connected through LAN

Can someone please help me on this?

UPDATE:
I figured out the MAC address issue, but we are still having an issue where some computers will have their connections jump up to 300-400 and our bandwidth shoots up, lagging everything else.

A:Have my router/computers been compromised?

What OS and anti virus programs are you running?

Have you scanned all the PC's with your anti virus?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/366848/have-my-routercomputers-been-compromised/
Relevancy 47.73%

I've never worried about bandwidth usage before; but, I suddenly have a need to throttle a certain user on my LAN. I'm buying 6 Megs and I want to throttle one user at about 500K or a little less.

I'm sure there are routers that will do this; but, I don't know enough to even know what to look for or the search terms to use. It will be for home use so I want to keep the cost low if possible.

Relevancy 47.73%

hi i'm new to this forum and, sadly, a novice when it comes to overall computer no how. I've had a netgear wgr614 wireless router for about 2 years and it's been working fine until about 2 months ago when i came back from campus. When i go to the wireless connect screen and choose my home router it will have the little connect icon showing that it is "acquiring the network address" but it never connects. My sister's laptop does the exact same thing and when my cousin came over and brought his laptop it wouldn't connect either. But my mom and dad's laptop connects just fine and so does the desktop downstairs *it uses a wireless adapter* I suspect it has something to do with an ip problem but i have no idea how to resolve that sort of thing . If anyone can help it'll be greatly appreciated ^___^

A:can't connect to router, other computers can

I suspect this is really an encryption key issue.

I'd start by disabling encryption on the router and see if it connects. Then enable encryption with a known key, and see if you can connect. For WEP, use ONLY the HEX key option, not the passcode option.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-connect-to-router-other-computers-can.601796/
Relevancy 47.73%

The problem is:
I've got WAN in building and i've got 2 computers, and a router (D-LINK DI-604). So I connect router to the WAN and then these computers to the router. They have OS windows 98 1st edition. The installation is fine and LAN works properly but WAN doesnt :/ what's wrong ? Router in 100% works so I think it could be configuration
Wan features:
IP: XXX.XXX.XXX.X
GATE: the same as IP
MASK: 255.255.255.252
I can't ping any domain or anything except the 2 computers in LAN
any ideas ?

A:Router and 2 computers problem

How did you configure the router? You have to configure the WAN part manually to match your specific connection.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/router-and-2-computers-problem.32958/
Relevancy 47.73%

Giday I have an inoperable hardrive in a old machine to which I did not have Administrator rights to We well had a difference the one day and I set out to cleans it s logic away No nothing to do with the quot connect Trying computers - no two router to steak knives Trying to connect two computers - no router quot I now have a unusable KB HDD that needs some logic thrown it s way I initially thought I d just buy a short connecting cable link the two computers together Went to a local provider they sold me a cable to do the job CAT Not so they should of handed me a Crossover cable instead hours of Web browsing later I might add which I now have Both computers have the correct Ethernet female connections lights on the dead P system yellow green but on the quot Main frame P quot only green The Network Bridge set up on the P - MAC Bridge Miniport shows a transfer rate Mbps The P is stuck in a Intel Boot Agent loop After I connected the crossover cable and changed a BIOS setting on both the P amp P it now tries to connect to the cable Runs an address scan quot client mac addr E F guild F- F- F- F- F dhcp quot numbers are equivalent time the letter appears then hangs up goes back to loop Why didn t I just put the HDD in the working unit and start from there Well it wouldn t get past the post screen read Although it showed up in the BIOS check Type of Memory Size of even with it s registration model number F to abort read or Del to return to BIOS Bought a cheap Raid that made problems worse because when it did not convolute my O S with hang ups it would not show up correctly in the Device Manager it was there just without the support tree not accessible All this because I wanted to store some music on the HDD which was working perfectly but it wouldn t let me download it back onto my MP player add that to the fact that I couldn t add any drivers or update anything something had to give Sorry zzz I ve just realised it s a bit of a rant I ve downloaded an ISO file hopefully then I ll have a DOS O S of some description but how do I get the non windows P to communicate with the XP system P blush Please help Thank you nbsp

A:Trying to connect two computers - no router

That hard drive is dead.
In the picture, it shows Maxtor ATHENA. That is a sign of failure.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/trying-to-connect-two-computers-no-router.137644/
Relevancy 47.73%

I am trying to get a game to work on 2 computers at the same time on the same game server. The problem is, in order to connect to the same game server, both computers need different ip's. They both have windows xp, and i have cable internet. They are also connected to a router, and they both work at the same time, just not on the same server. Is there anything i can do to make this work?

Relevancy 47.73%

I want to access printer on two windows xp computers using speedstram 6520 router

Relevancy 47.3%

Preface I am running a laptop which I upgraded from windows to windows I also have a desktop that is still running windows One of the hard drives on my desktop is shared and I often-enough will copy files from my laptop to my desktop The laptop connects wirelessly and the desktop is wired Today however I could not get my laptop to see my desktop on the network It is connected to in Other network showing; computers not shows old instead. network the network I am receiving internet just fine When I first click the network tab in the navigation pane it does not list any section for any computers Other computers in network not showing; shows old network instead. So I tell it to refresh and after a moment it now displays three computers all of which were ones I would see on the network from a house I no longer live in Now as it just so happens one of those computers is my desktop as I had it back then but when I try to access it it just gives me the spinning wheel for a while and then just says it can't access it If I click quot diagnose quot it doesn't find anything that's wrong This is pretty much the same result I get form trying to connect to one of the computers from my old house I haven't changed any settings and I was indeed able to connect to that computer at this house just a week or so ago Not sure what the problem is but I haven't tried much other than resetting the computer I'm open to suggestions

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/62461-other-computers-network-not-showing-shows-old-network-instead.html
Relevancy 47.3%

I ran through the Network Wizard again, and put in the address of my desktop computer and voila!, the icon came back. I'm not a tech wizard by any means, and didn't know what the address of my desktop computer looked like, but I found some hints online and tried them. Thanks for the help guys.

A:Resolved: Network Places - Can't see one of the computers on My Network

No need to post a new thread to tell us this, just respond in the original thread. Also, you can mark the thread solved using the thread tools at the top of the page.

Here's your original thread: http://forums.techguy.org/networking/667123-network-places-can-t-see.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/resolved-network-places-cant-see-one-of-the-computers-on-my-network.667264/
Relevancy 47.3%

I am usine a belkin-n router, I have 7 computers running off the one router. 2 are hardlined in the other 5 are wireless. Have been running this system for approximatly a year. Within the last 3 weeks at roughly the same time in the evening I have been experiencing a lag issue. It has kicked different comp. out of AIM chat rooms, off online games and even from msn messenger. during a couple of these episodes have run a speed check and it has checked out. went through each computer and ran virus scans, even restored a couple to original set-up. have gone so far as to shut down all but one computer and still seeing the lag issue. not all 7 computers are on typicallly at the same time usually only 3-4. Any help or ideas anyone has would be appreciated.

A:Multiple computers on one router, lag issues

This can be an issue at the ISP and not directly related to your router/lan/systems.

When the dropout occurs, use a browser to access the router config page, login
and check the WAN side config -- specifically look for WHEN the lease was granted
and when it will expire.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/multiple-computers-on-one-router-lag-issues.114266/
Relevancy 47.3%

I have few computers behind the wireless router. All the computers have static private addresses 198.168.1.xxx. The issue is that when I try to access any computer e.g to use FTP. From outside since I can only use the main WAN IP address when I use FTP I can only connect to one computer basically the one running FTP service on port 21.

I can access the wireless router and if necessary can do the port assignments. My question is that if multiple computers are running FTP services behind the router how can I connect to each one of them. Please explain on any tips would be nice.

A:Access Multiple Computers behind Router

Example only ...

On the router forward port 21 to computer A, port 21;
forward port 22 to computer B, port 21;
forward port 23 to computer C, port 21.

When desiring to access computer B or C remotely specify ports 22 and 23, respectively.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/access-multiple-computers-behind-router.1003403/
Relevancy 47.3%

I have just purchased another computer and wish to link both computers via an ADSL modem router.

Both computers have ethernet ports, as does the router.

One computer has Win. XP Home and the other; Win. 7 Professional.

I would like to be able to share files, and both computers to have an internet connection.

How do I set this up?

Also do I need a KVM for this setup?

Cheers

jolij

Relevancy 47.3%

I am just returning from college and I have a 4 year old desktop that works fairly well, but does not have a wireless card. I am trying to connect to the internet through a router that my family owns but I cannot get it to connect. It is a linksys and we have cable internet service. Any suggestions?

A:Connecting Multiple Computers to one router

Connect the computer to one of the router's LAN/Network ports.
Reboot the computer.
Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt.

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

Note: If Ur computer is running 98 or ME replace CMD with command.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/connecting-multiple-computers-to-one-router.751457/
Relevancy 47.3%

Hey I live in a apartment with other students We have laptops connected to the network normal LAN cables not wireless We problems! router and Solved: Several computers have Solved: Several computers and router problems! mbs optics internet The ISP provided a free modem switch which is AWESOME never had to reset it never experienced latency or any other problem whatsoever It has LAN slots BUT the ISP only provides IPs dynamic ones This means that only computers can be connected thru this modem switch Solved: Several computers and router problems! We bought a D-Link DIR- router so that everyone can connect to internet This means that computers have a nice and stable connection While the rest are quot doomed quot The router is just horrible There are those rare times when everything works perfectly But most of the times we are experiencing the following problems -Webpages takes longer to load -Webpages don t load at all -Webpages partially load or are displayed incorrectly -Download rates are slower -Disconnects from multiplayer games and applications such as Messenger -Etc Also I need to mention that we are not doing anything quot intense quot No P P abuse or high bandwidth downloads Sometimes everything works fine for days Sometimes we have to reset router several time per day take it off power and plug it back in It seems that router just quot overloads quot The connection gets quot stuffed quot I really don t know what to do I tried disabling firewall not sure if it s even possible on this router I tried port forwarding DMZ disabling encryptions etc NOTHING seems to work What I want I want something that splits IP adress into I don t need fancy options and encryptions I don t need firewall or anything at all I only want router to split the IP without tempering with connection I called ISP they are not willing to provide more IPs The only thing they can do is provide static IP instead of dynamic one But that won t help What are my options Are more expensive routers better Do they need resets If expensive routers are better - which one to buy What company what model I really want a stable and fast connection The same thing that is already provided to me by my ISP and their modem switch with IPs From what I have read the ideal solution would be to buy a Switch instead of a router But can I plug Switch into a Modem Switch from my ISP Can a Switch even divide one IP into several Or does it require a Router to assign IPs to a Switch Like I said ISP only provides me with IPs Is something like quot Router Linksys BEFSR Port quot or quot Switch Linksys EZXS W Port quot a good choice Do these expensive routers and switches still overload and require occasional resets Considering we are students with already low budget - buying a router for amp isn t really cheap So we would really like to know if it would deal with problems described above I would really appreciate any and all help Thank you nbsp

Relevancy 47.3%

I have simple network setup. 2 xp computers, 2 linux computers. All can access the internet. All can ping each other, connected to 4 port linksy wired and wireless router. Firewall on router turned off. Cannot ping on any computer to any address beyond router. If I ping google.com it comes back with:

pinging google.com (72.14.207.99) request timed out.

So I believe DNS should be o.k.

The above is true on all computers, so problem must be in the router, right?

A:Can ping local computers not beyond router

so problem must be in the router, right?Click to expand...

You're in the best position to answer this! Please connect a computer directly to the modem (remember to power cycle it when switching) and try the ping.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can-ping-local-computers-not-beyond-router.764802/
Relevancy 47.3%

I have two PC's in the same room connected to the router and receiving good to excellent signal strength. One PC has no problem getting online while the other one can rarely get online. Or, if it does, it doesn't stay online. The problem computer is a Dell desktop using a wireless USB adapter. In the past, in different houses, it has never had a problem getting online. Windows 7 troubleshooting has not been helpful.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

A:2 computers connected to router but one can't get online

Try another USB WiFi adapter if you're sure you have the right drivers for it onboard.

Also check your router is set for compliance with A,B,G,N - or whichever WiFi protocol(s) the USB adapter offers.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/214187-2-computers-connected-router-but-one-cant-get-online.html
Relevancy 47.3%

The den computer needs to be connected to the router The router is LinkSys Wireless G Access computers in to router computer set more Help rooms 2 up other with Point It came with a disk in which I will install after I get guidance from you because I have no instructions in this box In another room is a computer with XP Home as well I have an installation disk with a Wireless G PCI Adapter I know how to install that disk and the adapter Now I have a new netbook in my other daughters room that the guy said had the wireless already set up in it somehow When I install in den computer what can I expect and then do I do bedroom press the Easy Button on the access point and what can I expect from that and then what do i do for Bedroom I just noticed the Toshiba Netbook has Atheros AR Wireless Netwook Also this LinkSys Access Point Is this supposed to connect to my Cisco Wireless G Broadband Router I AM SO CONFUSED What the heck --does this access point router connect to my cisco broadband g router nbsp

Relevancy 47.3%

Quick intro This is for my parents house They have high-speed net that can wireless two Connecting a computers router? w/out only be registered to one Connecting two wireless computers w/out a router? computer so running it to a router and then computers is not an option Connecting two wireless computers w/out a router? We used to have it setup with net into quot computer quot then out to the wireless router The new computer has only one ethernet port so this can no longer be accomplished without buying another card which I am very inclined to do They are getting another computer that will also have Windows and would like to get wireless working again so I've tried an ad-hoc connection I understand the concept and had it working for awhile but found it to be quot finiky quot I would always have to restart the connection everytime I wanted to use it I couldn't get it to quot stick quot Did I maybe do something wrong or is there no way to keep the net connection open I quot saved quot the network and set it to start automatically Connecting two wireless computers w/out a router? but it would always close the internet sharing I haven't messed with home group will this feature accomplish internet sharing easily without messing with any ad-hoc crap I need everything as simple as possible so if they have any problems I can fix it over the phone or they can figure everything out for themselves Like I said worst comes to worst I'll get them another ethernet and run it the old way was just hoping I could simplify things and save some money Any help would be appreciated

Relevancy 47.3%

Ola peeps!!

Used to be much better with computers but having left the IT industry a few years ago (well... basic tech support! lol!) I seem to have forgotten how they work!!

I Have 2 desktop pc's and 2 laptops that I would like to be able to see each other to access files... planning to set up a file server in the future but can't afford it just yet!

Everything can connect to the router and access the internet but the computers can't ping each other!!!

I've searched and not got a clear answer to this... I've checked all my settings and they seem to be right...

I was hoping to get the ps3 set up as a media server but can't access it!! again that connects to t'interweb fine but can't see other computers...

PC's are running vista, 7 x64 and xp...

any help would be massively appreciated!!!

A:Computers connect to router + Internet... But can't see each other!!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computers-connect-to-router-internet-but-cant-see-each-other.946684/
Relevancy 47.3%

I have two computers connected to a Dynex Wireless G router via Ethernet cable. I unplugged on and fed the Ethernet cable to my Playstation 3, then unplugged it and moved it to the computer. Could this have caused my other computer to crash?

Relevancy 47.3%

My Linksys router is not working with 2 computers. One, a Windows desktop, says "did not assign network address". The other, a Macbook, connects perfectly to the network with a full signal, but is not connected to the internet when I try to use it. They are both new to the network - the router is new and no one has tried to use these computers until now.

I'm not sure if I need to set the router to include these computers? It's a Linksys router, password protected with something like 64 HEX security. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know!

Relevancy 47.3%

Hey, just got internet today and set up the wireless on the router using a laptop connected through LAN. All computer now connect to the router through wireless except the the laptop that was used to set it up. Hasn't had this problem before, so just wondering what is going on. Thanks for your time.

A:All computers can connect to router via wireless, except one.

Is the wireless switched on ? - theres often a physical switch OR using a combination of the FN key + one of the F keys together to toggle wireless on/off
post an ipconfig /all and a xirrus screen shot

------------------------------------------------------------------------
ipconfig /all
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post the results in a reply here.
Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and paste here.

We would like to see the results from an ipconfig /all - post back the results in a reply here.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD then press Enter to open a command prompt box
(A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

ipconfig /all > network.txt & network.txt

It will export the results into notepad and then automatically open the notepad and display on your screen.

Now all you need to do is copy and paste those results into a reply here
to do that:
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Select all
all the text will now be highlighted
Next
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Copy

Now go back to the forum - goto the reply and then right click in the reply box and paste the results.
The results from the notepad should now appear in the forum reply.

Run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector
Download and install
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC
Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and install the program.
You will now need to take a screen shot and copy that back to the working PC and attach the screen shot in a reply on the forum here.

http://www.xirrus.com/Products/Wi-Fi-Inspector.aspx
Direct link to the program is here http://info.xirrus.com/Wi-FiInspectorConfirmation.html

{If the above link does not work heres another link http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_download/fid,77196-order,4/download.html}

Then run and install the program - on a wireless enabled PC/Laptop
if you get an error - You need will need to have NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.

Run the program

A user guide is available here http://www.xirrus.com/cdn/pdf/Xirrus-Wi-Fi-inspectorguide-1-2-1-RevB-6.aspx

post a screen shot of the program running.
if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information.

post which SSID name is yours, its located in the list, under network "Adapter Name" (1st column)

To post a screen shot of the active window.
1) hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application (Start> All Programs> Accessories> Paint) and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
OR
2) if you are using Vista/Windows 7 you can use the "snipping tool" which is found in Start> All programs> Accessories> Snipping Tool

To upload the screen shot to the forum, open the full reply window ("Go Advanced" button) and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
Full details are available here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Posting_a_Screenshot

Note:
For a reliable (or robust as the Xirrus user guide says... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/all-computers-can-connect-to-router-via-wireless-except-one.1073901/
Relevancy 47.3%

Can 2 Computers Share A Dsl Connection W/o A Router? (both Xp)

Relevancy 47.3%

Hi all Me and my dad have been trying to set up a game of Age of Empires using TCP IP connection over our home network However I am having serious trouble connecting for a game I have tried opening the required ports on the router but I can only computers for Solved: Router, 2 Ports do so for one IP address For example ports - TCP UDP must be opened but i can only open them for Solved: Router, Ports for 2 computers one or the other of our computers Is there some way around this I dont think i can change any of the required ports in the game or something I have also tried to put my computer in the DMZ This didnt seem to change anything i could still not connect Since my computer is in the DMZ should i be the one hosting the game or trying to connect My router does have to UPnP feature and is on but it still wont allow us to connect What do i need to do Thank you very much -Aaron EDIT Both comps are wired to router windows vista EDIT Alternatively would buying a crossover cable to connect them work or some other cable nbsp

Relevancy 47.3%

ok here's a question.

I have a llinksys router with two computers connected to it. I want to pull files off one computer onto another using a network. - how do i do it?

Or should I just get a crossover- if that's the case, how do I do it?

A:networking two computers with crossover or router

what os are you using
xp has a wizard setup tool
static config the nic cards
do a google or go to linksys site for how to's
right click on the files or folder you want to share enable sharing
both pc's must be on same workgroup
find system folder network ID

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/networking-two-computers-with-crossover-or-router.24756/
Relevancy 47.3%

So I set up my router and modem and I have the modem connected to the linksys router and the ethernet port to my computer. The computer with the ethernet cable works fine, but all the other laptops can not connect to the wireless. It used to work fine, I did nothing else to it.

Relevancy 47.3%

Hello,

I have several computers behind my home router and all the users want to use Yahoo Messenger (including webcam and voice), often at the same time.

The ports used by the application are specified here:
https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN1227.html

I could not find a setting to use custom ports.

How do I set up my router for this?  Port forwarding only works for associating a specific port with a single computer.

Thanks!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/579441/using-yahoo-messenger-from-several-computers-behind-router/
Relevancy 47.3%

I just got this new Belkin router. It won't connect to either of the two computers I have wired or wirelessly. When I try to connect it wired the computers show it as trying to identify with a limited connection. I don't have the slightest idea of what the problem is.

new router info
Belkin n300 XR
model: F9K1007V1

Modem info
motorola 3360
model: 6eddl01b3360

Relevancy 47.3%

I have laptop running Windows 7 Ultimate Edition and an other desktop system running Windows XP.The Laptop is connected to the internet via the router and the desktop is connected to the router via a LAN cable(not cross cable).Is there any way to link these systems together? If there is,can someone please give step by step instructions or provide a link to where this information is available.

Thank you,

A:Connecting computers via wireless router??

theres quite a few articles on sharing Windows 7 and Xp together - I have posted a few below - have a look through those and see if anything helps at all - if nothing helps post back a reply and we can try a few more things

Firewalls can often be the issue with blocking access - you could start by switching those off
Here&#8217;s how you can get your Windows 7 PC to share printers and files with XP and Vista PCs--and even a Mac.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/184232/set_up_your_home_network_windows_7_edition.html

Complete Guide to Networking Windows 7 with XP and Vista
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/15247/complete-guide-to-networking-windows-7-with-xp-and-vista/

Share-files between windows7 and xp
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/share-files-and-printers-between-windows-7-and-xp/

Here&#8217;s how you can get your Windows 7 PC to share printers and files with XP and Vista PCs--and even a Mac
http://www.pcworld.com/article/184232/set_up_your_home_network_windows_7_edition.html
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/12246/share-a-printer-on-your-network-from-vista-or-xp-to-windows-7/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/connecting-computers-via-wireless-router.986756/
Relevancy 47.3%

I just bought a used refurbished Dell PC with XP installed, and am also considering a Raspberry Pi. Provided I would want to hook all 3(well, 2- I have 2 monitors and can only run 2 at a time at most) to the internet so I'm not using one at a time, would I need a switch or a router for this? We'll assume I'm not setting up a LAN for the devices to communicate direct to each other, I just want them online together.

Switches cost less but I don't want to buy it and find it's not what I need.

A:getting multiple computers, do I need a switch or a router?

Hello Diosoth,

Most home use routers come with 4 available ports for connectivity, so as long as you have 4 or less devices to connect via hard line, you don't need a switch.

Also if you prefer to avoid using a switch you can purchase a WiFi router and use WiFi adapters on any piece of equipment beyond the 4 hard lined devices.

At the bare minimum you will still need to set up the router to be a DHCP server, and all devices to be DHCP.

Finally, you could have all 3 devices on the internet at the same time if you wanted to with only the 2 monitors by using a cheap KVM and attaching 2 of the devices to 1 Keyboard Video Mouse setup; or you could do all 3 devices to 1 monitor using a 4 port KVM.

Good Luck!

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/292415-getting-multiple-computers-do-i-need-switch-router.html
Relevancy 47.3%

hi , i have 2 computers at my house , and sometimes i just want to block the other one for internet connection while im online , because my step dad knows nothing about internet connections , and in his opinion , opening as much bittorent apps as you can it's the best way to achieve success in life ^_^ .
so . is there anyways to teach a man a lesson by simply disconnecting him from the internet ?
my router is :
LEVEL ONE
WBR-3406

i found this options on router :
forward rules > special AP , and it has a line to insert the port , and a checkbox to "enable" connection

i'm not sure i can disable connection here , but seems close to my goal . ( i rather to disconnect the whole connection and not just some apps port)

and the other option i found is MAC control .
http://up360.siz.co.il/up3/kzzwyvwzoldn.jpg

can this help me ?

A:blocking one of the computers connected to router

Subwoffer13, some routers allow you to turn off and on dhcp. this way you can change the ip range of the router and put a fixed IP on your machine, without dhcp giving your other machine an IP in the range of the routers's IP range, they can't get anywhere.

If it was a wireless machine, the MAC address can be entered and not allowed to access the wireless router/access point.

rich

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/269173-blocking-one-computers-connected-router.html
Relevancy 47.3%

Hi,
today I've noticed while playing CS GO, that my ping would raise up to a thousand or even more. I've checked every little thing and it did not seem that the computer is causing the problem neither the Cs Go server.

Strangely, after the 2nd computer went off, the internet was normal again. So I checked it to be sure.

When the 2nd computer for example has a launched video on youtube, my ping would go crazy, when it was off, my ping was back to normal. Does anyone know, what might cause this strange problem? Thanks for help in advance.

A:Problem with 2 computers connected to a router

Hi Goodfeller, and welcome to TSG.

Streaming video is data intensive and could be using up most of your available Internet connection bandwidth, resulting in longer ping times for you and buffering issues for the person with the video feed.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problem-with-2-computers-connected-to-a-router.1145431/
Relevancy 46.87%

and if you have a messenger it would be easier for me to ask you stuff anyway let me know if you have stuff with this thx

A:if anyone is awesome with networking computers with a dlink router let me know

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/if-anyone-is-awesome-with-networking-computers-with-a-dlink-router-let-me-know.364209/
Relevancy 46.87%

So I came home from college and hooked my computer up to my home router some Internet Router/Slow on SMC7004BR computers only to find that the internet was running slow on my computer There are three other computers hooked up to the router as well Two of those three also run slow on the internet One computer though seems to be running really fast like over x SMC7004BR Router/Slow Internet on some computers faster than the other three computers We have had this router for many years and never had this problem Some info SMC7004BR Router/Slow Internet on some computers that might help It is a SMC BR router running firmware s The internet provider is comcast roadrunner a cable connection The three computers that are running slow on the internet are relatively new Two are emachines windows XP gb of memory gb hard drive etc model T to be exact One is a laptop running windows vista toshiba gb SMC7004BR Router/Slow Internet on some computers memory etc and is less than a year old has good specs The one that is running fast on the internet ironically is the oldest and the worse spec wise Compaq amd athlon mb memory etc Some things I have tried Tried resetting the connection multiple times Tried taking out the network plug from the fast computer Tried using the fast computers network plug on other computers To me it seems like it is somehow giving bandwidth priority to the one computer while giving no priority to the other computers or somehow limiting the priority to those computers I have also checked the router settings and there are no weird settings reset them to default to make sure So if anyone has any ideas of what may be causing this it would be greatly appreciated Thanks nbsp

A:SMC7004BR Router/Slow Internet on some computers

That's an ancient router with no QoS capability. I think I'd be looking to upgrade it to one that has better bandwidth management. Many of the Linksys models will also support 3rd party firmware like DD-WRT that will allow additional options in configuring priorities.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/smc7004br-router-slow-internet-on-some-computers.783084/
Relevancy 46.87%

Hi all

I have two PC's using a Belkin G+ Mimo router to share my internet connection. Is there anyway that I can share onformation on my two PC's with each other?

Thanks
Owen

A:Connect to other computers using same Belkin G+ Mimo router

Yes, using the home networking settings in My Computer->My Network Places->Network Tasks-> Setting up a home or office network. There is also a good tutuorial there, and additional information at www.microsoft.com.
Take your time. It appears to be more confusing and more work than it really is. You can connect up to three with little difficulty.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/connect-to-other-computers-using-same-belkin-g-mimo-router.75168/
Relevancy 46.87%

I am having issues access on router my Cannot connected of thru one internet computers with connecting to the internet on one of my Cannot access internet on one of my computers connected thru router computers I have others that will connect one wireless and the other is wired I have tried physically swapping the wire with the working computer and that did not help I am running Windows Consumer Preview IE Safari Chrome Firefox and Outlook for email None of these will connect When I ran the IE Diagnostic I would get the error of quot The remote device or resource won t accept the connection Detected Cannot access internet on one of my computers connected thru router quot Since then following advice from other threads I have reset the winsock and ipv and ipv using the following commands netsh winsock reset catalog netsh int ipv reset reset log netsh int ipv reset reset log After restarting the computer I found that this made it worse I still can t connect to the internet but now it does not even show that I am connected and I lost my Network name Before it said that Cannot access internet on one of my computers connected thru router I was connected to the internet but I could not access it I cannot access my router from the problem computer but I can from the one I am using now It shows that I have DHCP server enabled and an IP address of and Subnet Mask Microsoft Windows Version c Microsoft Corporation All rights reserved C WINDOWS system gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name Office-PC Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Intel R DC Gigabit Network Connecti on Physical Address - -D - A-A - A DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Thursday April PM Lease Expires Sunday April PM Default Gateway DHCP Server DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Tunnel adapter isatap BE BAC-DCF - C - A - CC F FCE Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IPv Address e cb cb c ddc Pref erred Link-local IPv Address fe cb cb c ddc Preferred Default Gateway NetBIOS over Tcpip Disabled C WINDOWS system gt I hope this helps been banging my on this one Additions I disabled IPv per other instructions this whole thing started after I ran an Ad-Aware scan I stopped it before it was complete it had found no problems and I uninstalled the program after that nbsp

Relevancy 46.87%

I m not sure if this is connecting to different router/internet computers Trouble via the right place to post this so if Trouble connecting to router/internet via different computers I Trouble connecting to router/internet via different computers m in the wrong subforum please let me know I m having a problem with my Compaq Presaio v I ve just recently switched my routers to my new ISP s own router On my computer when the ethernet cable is connected it does not detect it and therefore I cannot connect to the internet On a different computer it detects it fine and so I m able to access through LAN It may be a software problem I ve repaired my winsock as I ve just recently suffered from a trojan attack and so that rules out the possibility of a corrupted winsock I ve disabled my AVG firewall and have uninstalled Spybot S amp D I am still unable to connect to the computer On the other computer I can connect through a cable when I try to connect via wireless the router s SSID doesn t appear when I m trying to find a network Could someone possibly help me out I ve been driving myself crazy over this nbsp

A:Trouble connecting to router/internet via different computers

Try un-installing AVG (disabling is not ideal, and never works strangely)

Also ethernet connections are not detected as a new device, but if the ethernet cable is connected you should at least get a little green light on the Router, if not try changing the ethernet data cable.

This could also be a disabled Lan connection in your system. Check Network connections that nothing is disabled (usually just right click on it)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/trouble-connecting-to-router-internet-via-different-computers.117394/
Relevancy 46.87%

Hi all Any solution to this problem I have for example a few machines up and running on a LAN might be VM's but that shouldn't be to forwarding multiple LAN a Router Port computers on an issue Say I have five with addresses gt I might want to RDP to Router Port forwarding to multiple computers on a LAN any of these from behind a router Using something like No-IP No-IP - Dynamic DNS Static DNS for Your Dynamic IP I can get a an quot Internet acessible quot domain so I don't need to know the actual IP address that the Internet sees my router As I'm behind a router having Multiple domains Router Port forwarding to multiple computers on a LAN won't help either as to the external Internet my router is seen as a single IP address However the router will only port forward to a single IP address on my LAN So if I need to RDP to any other machine on my LAN other than the default one presumably I could only do this by using a different default port for RDP for each of the machines on the LAN OK not pretty but quot Do-able quot Now we get to the real hassle -- If I did this then I'd need a different version of RDP on the CLIENT computer -- not possible if I'm using a work laptop Any solutions I'm totally flumixed by this one Cheers jimbo

A:Router Port forwarding to multiple computers on a LAN

Sounds like a job for Windows Home Server... which might solve some of your problems.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/7555-router-port-forwarding-multiple-computers-lan.html
Relevancy 46.87%

Hello. I was wondering if it is possible to share a internet connection between two computers without using a hub, switch or router.

One of the computers has two network cards, is it possible to connect that computer to the internet, and then connect the other computer to the one that is connected to the internet?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A:Sharing connection between two computers without hub/switch/router

Yes; you need a cross-over cable between the computers unless one has an auto-sensing (MDI/MDIX) ethernet port. Read up on Internet Connection Sharing (ICS), starting in the Help and Support Center.

Why don't you want to use a router?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sharing-connection-between-two-computers-without-hub-switch-router.499505/
Relevancy 46.87%

Hi all,

I've got a Netgear wireless router, and I've got two desktops, a Wii and a PS3 and I'm trying to connect them all to my internet. The one desktop is connected via ethernet cable, the others will all be wireless.

The problem is, none of the three wireless connections work! I've got encryption on the network, but I enter the correct details into the computers and assign the static ip's for each computer but that doesn't matter. I've entered an IP Range into Zone Alarm so that shouldn't be a problem (I hope ).

Each computer is able to see the network, but can't connect to it. I don't have a spare ethernet cable to try and connect the PS3 directly to the router (the other computers are in a different room) so are there any other options?

Cheers in advance

Relevancy 46.87%

Hello

thanks for you service

I got internet cafe and I got some problem with the connectin because customers some times complain from the connection is very slow

I got very high speed connection with buldog provider 8mb

I got 30 computers in the shop

I got one router netgear

any one can help me solving this problem please?

I want the connection to be very fast all the time how!

thanks

Relevancy 46.87%

Okay my situation is quite complex but I ll try my best to explain every possible factor First we hadn t have the WEP key on our Linksys wireless router so we decided about a month ago that it was a good idea to lock our wireless connection So we did For a couple of weeks everything worked just fine But then we bought a new printer which happened but after router computers works all on the one resetting Internet to be Internet works on all computers but one after resetting the router a Internet works on all computers but one after resetting the router wireless network printer and in the process of installing it we mistook the reset button I think on the router for some other button and ended up resetting the router When we did that we undid WEP key thereby unlocking the router Then we locked the router again at which Internet works on all computers but one after resetting the router point one of our computers--which happens to be mine--ended up not working All other computers and phones and iPads work just fine but this one laptop of mine just doesn t work with respect to wireless internet connections of course And I have tried the following methods - pressing the reset button on the router again It kind of works The internet works for about five or ten minutes which is unbearably annoying because I have to reconnect it every five minutes but my computer somehow disconnects itself from the internet connection Also although the internet technically quot works quot the wireless network icon thing on the bottom right of the screen has an quot X quot on it which I thought meant the internet is not working but it apparently doesn t because my internet is working now And if I click the icon it says that I m not connected but again the internet works for about minutes if I unlock the router - changing the internet protocol information I don t think it does anything but - changing the wireless internet connection property to WPA WPA-PSK everything Here a summary for those who don t wanna read All computers in the house have wireless internet connections but mine When I reset the router the internet works although the computer says it isn t connected and it disconnects itself every or minutes PS I don t know if this information is pertinent at all but my laptop is a Windows XP This problem has been going on about four days and I m about to completely lose my sanity I need to finish a report tonight Please help nbsp

A:Internet works on all computers but one after resetting the router

For when you have internet access and for when you do not ...

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page (don't collapse the Radar, Connection or Signal History) of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. If you need help with that see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows 8 or 7 or Vista I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

Also show ...

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/internet-works-on-all-computers-but-one-after-resetting-the-router.1091104/
Relevancy 46.87%

We had a Linksys router with client machines on our LAN at work This router would occasionally quot drop quot a machine meaning that of specific different machines would lose connectivity to the LAN and the internet An quot ipconfig Solved: router computers dropping Linksys all quot would show no valid IP at that machine The short term fix was to either reboot the router or unplug and replug the ethernet cable at the machine Never any other machines just these three Another odd behavior I was getting out of this router was that occasionally I d get an IP Solved: Linksys router dropping computers conflict while using DHCP on the router This happened twice and I then set the entire LAN to static IP s That solved the IP conflicts but I was still getting the quot dropped Solved: Linksys router dropping computers quot machines So I recommended a d-link router Four days later and so far we haven t had any problems Is there anything else I should have looked at with that Linksys router to solve those problems TIA Edit I should add that we have two cables coming out of the port router going to two switches that feed the machines nbsp

A:Solved: Linksys router dropping computers

Linksys routers tend to have a number of problems with certain encryptions. Usually a firmware upgrade or a downgrade in security solves these problems.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-linksys-router-dropping-computers.422469/
Relevancy 46.87%

Hi, I have two computers (one a wireless laptop, one a wired desktop), both are running Windows 7. The wired desktop has a download speed of 10 Mbps while the laptop has speed of 30 Mbps. (Both were connecting at the same, fast speed before.

I tried replacing the cable that connects the computer with the router, but that is not the problem. A friend brought his computer over and it also ran at 30 bps.

It has been like this for about 3 weeks, although for one day, the speed was back up to around 30 Mbps, and then dropped back down, and it has not changed since then.

A:Problem with internet speed on one of two computers using same router.

Depending on your router, you can set your MAC ID to receive priority bandwidth. I do it so that my neighbor doesn't suck away the bandwidth when I'm watching Hulu or such. Worked great until my g/f told the neighbor what I'd done thinking she was talking about a different neighbor.

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/296024-problem-internet-speed-one-two-computers-using-same-router.html
Relevancy 46.87%

I ve recently being having trouble connecting my laptops to Won't my to of Solved: Wireless allow My any connect! computers Router our wireless network It was working completely fine until one day it cut out and since then have never re-connected It says that I am connected to my Wireless network and that I have excellent signal however when I try and go on the Internet it says page can not be displayed Also the physical Ethernet cable connects me to the internet Please help Here are my Specs Microsoft Windows XP Version C Copyright - Microsoft Corp C Documents and Settings Murfsta gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name christy-baf d Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Unknown IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Solved: My Wireless Router Won't allow any of my computers to connect! Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List cable virginmedia net Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Description Bluetooth Personal Area Network from TOSHIBA Physical Address - - -B - - Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Intel R Solved: My Wireless Router Won't allow any of my computers to connect! PRO Wireless ABG Networ k Connection Physical Address - -DE-B - - Dhcp Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IP Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway DHCP Server DNS Servers Lease Obtained Friday March PM Lease Expires Saturday March PM Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix cable virginmedia net Description Broadcom x Integrated Cont roller Physical Address - C- - - - Dhcp Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IP Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway DHCP Server DNS Servers Lease Obtained Friday March PM Lease Expires Friday March PM nbsp

A:Solved: My Wireless Router Won't allow any of my computers to connect!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-my-wireless-router-wont-allow-any-of-my-computers-to-connect.985434/
Relevancy 46.87%

I have two computers running W7p that I want to access when I'm away from my office. I am able to use remote desktop from inside my home network on either computer. I am able to access one of the computers from outside with my router set to forward global port 3389 to host port 3389. I am guessing that what I need to do is set up two port forwards in my router; the global port will be different but the host port will still be 3389 in each case. Does that sound right? One thing I know is that going into the registry and changing the host port to something other than 3389 does nothing. In fact, if I do that I can no longer use remote desktop inside my home network. I've looked all over the web today and there are not any clear instructions on how to do this (that I could find). I read the W7 forum tutorial.

A:Remote Desktop Multiple Computers Behind Router

Ok, defining a second portforward using a different global port, but 3389 as the local port did not work. So now I've created a second portforward using 3389 for both the global and local port, but in this case I've enabled the portforward for a different host. This doesn't entirely make sense, so it'll probably work.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/200192-remote-desktop-multiple-computers-behind-router.html
Relevancy 46.87%

Hi all,

I have a strange problem.
All three of my computers at home (all on windows 7 ultimate 64bit) are connecting to the same router with same SSID, but they end up having duplicate names such as NetworkName 1, NetworkName 2, NetworkName 3. This is preventing me from having them share via homegroup.
I made sure the computer names are all different and all connect to same workgroup name.
Is this a router setting problem? i'm using a cisco-linksys wrt-160n flashed with DD-WRT. i was checking the settings and ran across a new term, vlan. could it be they are all connected to separate virtual networks? i tried to disable vlan, however, that just disconnected all the computers to the internet.

Please help me setup my home network!

Dary

A:Computers at home connect to same router but with different names?

You will only get a V-Lan if you setup a Vlan and you have to do it manually because you have to manually put in IP's... it is not turned on by Default using the DDWRT.

Can you take a screen shot of what you are talking about when you say NetworkName 1.. where is that showing up?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/157244-computers-home-connect-same-router-but-different-names.html
Relevancy 46.87%

Now I would like to connect two computers at the same time to the same game: Neverwinter Nights. I've been able to do that just changing the game port in one computer from 5121 to 5122.
But I got a new modem from my provider. And since then it's impossible. If I login with the second, the first freezes and the game crashes. And I'm using two different logins of course...
Actually the first already freezes when the second account is logged in. Doesn't even have to be into the same server. It's really confusing.

One of the computers is using Windows XP Media Ed. the other Win2000. Is there anything else I have to modify? For any hint or solution, thanks in advance .

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/connecting-two-computers-via-one-modem-router-to-a-game.729351/
Relevancy 46.87%

I hope someone can help me I m really not great Limited all Router Computers on Connectivity Resets: After at networking In my very small office there are two routers - one Asus is plugged into a Netgear router and the Netgear is plugged into ADSL filter which is then plugged into wall socket We had some internet drop outs yesterday with both routers showing quot limited connectivity quot they d work for minutes then stop working saying quot limited quot We don t have an official IT person at the moment the last one left recently but someone decided to reset both routers using the button pinhole on the backs of them Since then we haven t got any internet at all It just says quot limited quot all the time in the Windows system tray I ll be at the office in hours and won t have any internet there so I m hoping to arm myself with as much knowledge as possible to hopefully fix the internet problem when I get there Any help tips would be much appreciated Here are the After Router Resets: Limited Connectivity on all Computers names of both routers if that s any use Netgear N Wireless Dual Band Modem Router Asus Gigabit Router nbsp

A:After Router Resets: Limited Connectivity on all Computers

Was the reset of the Netgear a simple reset (very similar to a power cycle) or was it a reset to factory defaults? If the latter, was any needed configuration (e.g., account and password) performed?

When you connect a computer to the Netgear by ethernet you get a valid IP configuration and can communicate with the router but have no internet access?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/after-router-resets-limited-connectivity-on-all-computers.1145868/
Relevancy 46.87%

I have a SMC Gateway Router and computers connected to it with RJ- cable They are iMac PC feet apart both computers are wired to the router I also have a Canon Pixma MP Multifunction Inkjet printer that has the capability to be connected both computers using How do support printer to a router? 2 I connect a wired and wireless Right now it is only connected to the iMac via a USB connection as all router iMac and printer are on the same workstation I would appreciate a detailed explanation as to how to connect the printer so it could also support the nd computer a Windows PC which is located on the floor below Can I do that through the wired router How do I connect a printer to support 2 computers using a router? too If not possible I also have the capability to connect wirelessly although I would prefer to use the wired connnections The PC has a Belkin USB Network Adapter for wireless connection both SMC Router and Belkin USB adapter are N capable I would appreciate receiving help preferably detailed and in layman terms as I am not How do I connect a printer to support 2 computers using a router? too versed on these tech issues Thank you kindly nbsp

Relevancy 46.87%

I recently switched internet service providers from AT&T to Time Warner and ever since I have been unable to connect to my Netgear router with my computer's wifi. However, I have successfully connected my TV wirelessly to said router. One other note, my computer's wifi seems to recognize that the netgear router is there but it just refuses to connect me to the internet. Please help me rectify the issue, much appreciated!

Relevancy 46.87%

Hi To begin with I have not had any trouble with my d-link router for years then all of sudden over the weekend something happen and I had to reset my router and I obtained a secure wpa link I have a main desktop computer downstairs which and now of computers my 1 internet for Reset D-Link no Router the modem and router are hooked up to I also have a laptop and PS which connects wireless upstairs Now once I reset the router internet service worked great for these components However the problem came about when I tried internet service on another desktop computer upstairs which also used to worked Reset D-Link Router and now no internet for 1 of my computers fine using a Compact Wireless-G USB Adapter But now I can not get any internet service---local connection and compact wireless-g usb adapter has red quot X s quot next to them saying --they are not connected or unplugged Help I don t know what else to do I m not a computer wiz or anything but I can follow instructions advice Do you have any advice nbsp

Relevancy 46.01%

I got myself a 2 router computers wireless on access internet through simultaneously Cannot Belkin Wireless G Router the other day and I managed to connect my Cannot access internet simultaneously through wireless router on 2 computers laptop to it fine and the internet works and everything all the time Because I have a laptop and a computer I purchased a wireless USB adapter so I could connect my computer to the internet as well wirelessly at the same time as my laptop that s what Cannot access internet simultaneously through wireless router on 2 computers a router is for right SO annyway that connected to my router fine with connectivity and no Cannot access internet simultaneously through wireless router on 2 computers limited connection BUT I couldn t go on the internet at all it just says Looking up www google com for ages until showing an error page about diagnosing connection problems WIndows is currently set to configure this wireless connections properties Recently I connected my PC to the router via Ethernet I reset my modem and router and managed to get the internet I thought yay I ve done it But then once I went upstairs to my laptop it was doing the same thing the PC was before showing full connectivity but with no internet access at all Why will my router not let me connect my laptop and PC to the internet at the same time I thought this is what they are suposed to do The NAT and DHCP are all set so IP addresses are automatically generated I can t see where the problem lies I was thinking maybe my Virgin Media Modem may have limitations on using multiple IP addresses through the one connection I don t know I m just confused The router s client list lists my Computer and Laptop as both connected to it but only one can gain access through my modem to the internet on a single occasion If I haven t given you enough information or whatever then just slap me with a wet fish and ask me for it nbsp

A:Cannot access internet simultaneously through wireless router on 2 computers

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-access-internet-simultaneously-through-wireless-router-on-2-computers.791507/
Relevancy 46.01%

I am trying to figure out how to network my laptop with my desktop. I have a Qwest DSL Wifi router. My desktop computer is hooked up to a Vonage device/router and then the Vonage device is connected to the DSL router. My laptop is connected to the Qwest router by Wifi. Also, the deskop and Vonage device are setup with a static IP. Is there any way to network between my desktop and laptop so I can do file sharing?

A:Networking Computers With Vonage Device & Qwest DSL Router

I unplugged my desktop from the Vonage device and plugged it into the Qwest router and now I am able to do file sharing. I thought my desktop had a static IP set but I don' t know what is going on with that. I notice that I can download torrents with the desktop hooked up to the Qwest router. Almost seems like you don't have to set these things up for port forwarding anymore.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/174644-networking-computers-vonage-device-qwest-dsl-router.html
Relevancy 46.01%

HI! I just bought a Linksys wireless router. when the computer connected to the router is using the internet, it does work. but when my laptop's already using the wireless internet connection, the internet works but then the internet connection of the computer connected fails to work. help? please

A:wireless router not allowing my 2 computers to use the internet at the same time

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-router-not-allowing-my-2-computers-to-use-the-internet-at-the-same-time.843959/
Relevancy 46.01%

I have a D-Link EBR-2310 Wired router hooked up to a Motorola Surfboard SB5100 cable modem. I use and Intel chipped iMac and my roommate uses a PC. Our ISP is Charter and when are both using the internet at the same time pages stop loading and access to the internet ceases to work.

A:Internet stops working when two computers using router simultaniously

Well, I'm not a Mac person, so I can't help with the Mac.

On the PC, please do this when it's working, then again when it's not.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

IPCONFIG /ALL

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/internet-stops-working-when-two-computers-using-router-simultaniously.746090/