Windows Support Forum

What's the Best practice in deploying Windows 10 to Surface Tablet ?

Q: What's the Best practice in deploying Windows 10 to Surface Tablet ?

Team,
Hi people, Can anyone here please let me know if I have created Windows 10 1511 golden image for Surface Pro 4 and other HP workstations with the below process:
1. Run the Surface Pro 4 and then update it to the latest using the Windows Update.
2. When all update has been installed, I checked the version is Windows 10 Professional 10.10586.164
3. I've mounted SW_DVD5_WIN_ENT_10_1511_64BIT_English_MLF_X20-82288.ISO file and then perform the upgrade to Windows 10 Professional 10.10586.164 succesfully.
4. when everything is set, I'm creating the MDT golden image by using the Sysprep (Generalize).
Does this method is the correct way to create the Windows 10 for mass deployment ? Because the SFC scannow command result always shows as corrupted in those workstations I've deployed.
In March 2016, I have deployed to about 15 Surface Tablets and 5 laptops so far using the above method, now I wonder if it is the correct way of doing it or not ?

Thanks in advance,

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/44225-whats-best-practice-deploying-windows-10-surface-tablet.html
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: What's the Best practice in deploying Windows 10 to Surface Tablet ?

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 82.13%

First let me say that the info I have Practice(s) systems... deploying verifying before many new drivers Best to been reading on this forum is outstanding kudos to all the guys on here that help for free nonetheless Your contribution is I'm sure appreciated by all you help On to my question While not directly related to a specific BSOD I was led here by google when trying to diagnose all the Best Practice(s) verifying new drivers before deploying to many systems... BSODs I was Best Practice(s) verifying new drivers before deploying to many systems... getting on a motherboard configuration we have here more details below We Best Practice(s) verifying new drivers before deploying to many systems... are a small development shop that has standardized on a particular setup and create and deploy a standard quot image quot to each one Really lessens the support overhead of managing each systems configuration separately While I was working on generating a new standard Windows x image for deployment I was seeing loads of BSODs At first I tried to narrow it down to which device driver was causing the issues but quickly surmised it is actually multiple drivers causing the issue s This surprised me because the motherboard is an Intel motherboard and I would have assumed drivers downloaded from intel com would have been torture tested Guess not - When I dropped back to just using the builtin drivers in Win all the BSODs went away At first I was starting to think there was a hardware issue with my system under test I have since added drivers from Intel and they seem not to cause any issues so far My basic question finally getting to it huh - is about best practices for deploying a set of drivers or a newly updated driver out into production - Assuming turning driver verifier on is a basic step are there stress tools that can be run without user intervention Or is it required that one or more people run with verifier on Im looking for some way to get a level of confidence that the new driver does not muck things up - How do drivers signed by say Intel differ from drivers gotten from MS Update - Is this what WHQL is all about Does MS run verifier against a candidate driver before certifying it as quot verified quot Im pretty sure they used to do this do they still do it - I have been running with verifier on for my daily work with all drivers selected and the list in the sticky for features turned on although I couldnt find quot Concurrency Stress Test quot in the verifier screen Is that quot better quot than only selecting non-MS drivers except a bit slower I havent noticed any slowdown really - What about the other features listed but not suggested to select Thank you for reading to the end and for any insight suggestions as to how to verify for myself that a newly released driver is ok to deploy onto machines Our standard configuration Intel DH CF MiniITX motherboard Crucial M GB SSD plugged into Sata slot GB Kingston Value RAM Video via the DVI connector USB Mouse and Keyboard Windows x

A:Best Practice(s) verifying new drivers before deploying to many systems...

The opinions on Verifier vary, but I generally only recommend verifying the drivers that need testing and not including the Microsoft drivers in the batch. Verifying drivers that are not causing problems can lead to false positives since Verifier places the system in a testing state meant to cause crashes.Using Driver Verifier to identify issues with Windows drivers for advanced usersAs to whether Microsoft tests drivers for developers, I do not know for sure, but my understanding is that developers are now requested to do their own testing. Microsoft has made much of their driver requirements fairly public at this point, so developers have more access to what used to be proprietary information. It is now up to the developers to make sure their drivers meet the requirements for Windows Update and those accepted as Digitally Signed drivers. Windows does some additional testing once they receive a driver, but it seems that the Verifier portion of testing is no longer done by Microsoft (in most cases?).Windows Update Driver Publishing

What is a signed driver?

https://www.google.com/search?q=does...ther+companies

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/best-practice-s-verifying-new-drivers-before-deploying-to-many-systems-683210.html
Relevancy 80.84%

Hiya

This article discusses single-image deployment and how to use this method to deploy Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition to the Tablet PC computers in your organization while leveraging your existing Windows XP Professional image. The information in this article supplements the processes outlined in the previously-released article, "Deploying Windows XP Tablet PC Edition," available on Microsoft TechNet

System Requirements
Supported Operating Systems: TabletPC

Windows XP Tablet PC Edition

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...47-f2a7-416f-98eb-cb127d7d328a&DisplayLang=en

Regards

eddie

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/deploying-windows-xp-tablet-pc-edition-july-1.143706/
Relevancy 73.96%

Hi all I have a used Widows Surface tablet that I got off of my friend who never really used it much It's an older model says Model on the back but it's in great shape and has been reformatted back to factory settings The System Info page is showing Windows RT as the OS When I run Windows Update I get a list of about updates that need to install When I try to install them they look like they're working but then they undo the install and present me with the message quot Some updates were not installed Error s found Code D quot It does this whether I update all at once or if I try to run each update separately I've tried rebooting the system I've tried running the updates one at a 8.1 on Updates Windows not MS Tablet Surface installing time I've tried running the DISM which I read to do online I just can't get any updates to install I did get a CBS logfile from the DISM and there are quot errors quot in Windows Updates not installing on MS Surface Tablet 8.1 the log but I have no idea how to go about addressing them I tried to attach that file here but it says the filesize is too large the CBS log is about mb I can break it into smaller chunks or copy paste relevant bits if anyone thinks it can help Please let me know Thanks Joe

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/windows-updates-not-installing-on-ms-surface-tablet-8-1-a-1084849.html
Relevancy 66.65%

My dad gave me his Surface (I think it's 1st generation) & it has Windows 8.1 on it. I want to do a Factory Reset so I can truly make it mine.
I am planning to use a Local Account & know I won't have access to OneDrive (not a big deal for me) but what else do I miss out on?
When I do the Factory Reset, will it reset using 8.1 & do I need a Product Key?

I sent an email to a few online computing magazines, but only 1 has emailed me back so far & the person was not much help.

A:Surface tablet

After some reading & exploring, I did the Factory Reset & everything went smoothly. The tablet was reset using 8.1 & no Product/ID Key was needed. I did make a Microsoft Account, because from what I can tell, I cannot download from the Store w/o one.
So the Microsoft Account is setup as Administrator & will seldom be used (I don't like using an Administrator Account for daily use). I did make a Standard Account which is also the Local Account & this seems to be working just fine.

But I do have another question: while using my Standard Local Account & searching the Store, if I try to install any of the Apps, I get the message screen below. If I put in my password, would my Standard Local Account become a Microsoft Account or will I then be given the choice to use the Microsoft Account I already have?

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/75388-surface-tablet.html
Relevancy 66.65%

My dad gave me his Surface (I think it's 1st generation) & it has Windows 8.1 on it. I want to do a Factory Reset so I can truly make it mine.
I am planning to use a Local Account & know I won't have access to OneDrive (not a big deal for me) but what else do I miss out on?
When I do the Factory Reset, will it reset using 8.1 & do I need a Product Key?

I sent an email to a few online computing magazines, but only 1 has emailed me back so far & the person was not much help.

A:Surface tablet

Here's a few tutorials for you to look over,

Local account, the differences are listed in the blue box at the top,

Local Account - Switch to in Windows 8

This will help you with the product key,

Product Key - Find for Windows 8

Here's a couple options for reset or refresh,

Reset Windows 8

Refresh Windows 8

In case you need to get a fresh image,

Surface Recovery Image - Download from Microsoft

If it came with 8 and upgraded to 8.1 I would guess it will reset to 8 if using the built in feature.

You might have the RT version on that so you will have to follow those options.

I think if you have any specific questions you would be better asking them here,

Windows 8 Forums

Or in the tutorials I linked.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/398016-surface-tablet.html
Relevancy 65.36%

I have a Microsoft Surface 2 with windows 8.1 update 1 on it. I started my tablet today and it came up with a blue screen that said there was an error and it was compiling and would restart, it restarted normal screen but on the bottom it said it was preparing automatic repair cycles a few times then freezes. I have trying to figure this out all day. Help!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/microsoft-surface-2-tablet-problem-1105018.html
Relevancy 65.36%

Hello,
One issue that keeps me from purchasing a Surface Pro 3 is the absence of a stylus note taking app that suits my needs. OneNote has many amazing features, but the deal-breaker is the absence of a continuous scrolling page with visible page breaks (similar to Microsoft Word, or like the Android app called Lecture Notes). Instead, OneNote insists on separate individual pages which is extremely inefficient for me (as many times I need to see the previous page while I am working on the beginning of a new page). I found that many people have complained about the absence of this simple feature (which is available on simpler programs such as Windows Journal).

So I'm asking is there some alternative to OneNote that can accomplish this on Windows 8/Surface Pro 3? I have searched extensively but have not found something viable. Maybe someone here has suggestion?

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/66481-alternative-onenote-surface-3-pro-tablet-pen.html
Relevancy 65.36%

Hello all,

I have a Surface Pro tablet with Windows 8.1 on it, and any time I try to switch from my default printer to another network printer in a program Excel, Word, Outlook, Notepad, etc, it will freeze up and takes a few minutes to switch printers - however, it does switch eventually.
Default printer is USB (Brother), the second is IP based(Konica-Minolta w/ Fiery server).

I have tested this on another Surface with the same software installed, same Windows updates, and same drivers for both printers and I do not have an issue on the second Surface.

Looking for ideas or suggestions or people that have had simliar issues.
Please let me know if more details are needed.

Thanks,
Cody

A:Surface Tablet 8.1 Printing Issue

Hate to bump a thread, but I am in need of advice if anyone can share.
Thanks again guys.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/35920-surface-tablet-8-1-printing-issue.html
Relevancy 64.5%

We are using some Surface tablets for commercial kiosks and are having several with BSOD lock-ups occurring every few Tablet, 3 DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE, 0x9f, acpi.sys Surface days nbsp I went through a similar post http answers microsoft com en-us windows forum windows -update driverpowerstatefailure- x f-acpisys fd f b- - f f- fe -aea d fe e auth and captured the latest MEMORY DMP with the output below nbsp The Surface has all the latest updates through including several firmware and hardware updates nbsp It would be more acceptable if the tablet would actually reboot after this happens but I left it for hours and it was still stuck on the BSOD nbsp I had to hold the power button for seconds to turn off the tablet and reboot nbsp FYI nbsp System protection and Automatically reboot is enabled Interesting point that just before it occurred the tablet came out of sleep maybe minutes prior and the touch screen input went non-responsive including the Windows Home Key though I could still navigate with a USB attached keyboard What I want to know is nbsp is there anything else I should be looking for to hunt this down and isolate the problem Right now it appears to be an issue with the kernel-mode driver and possible the IntelSST sound hardware I also cross-posted this to nbsp http answers microsoft com en-us windows forum windows -hardware surface- -tablet-driverpowerstatefailure- x f b a a - d - f-b - b d c d auth nbsp but only received one more generic driver troubleshooting tips Thanks Debug below ------------------------ Microsoft Surface 3 Tablet, DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE, 0x9f, acpi.sys R Windows Debugger Version AMD Copyright c Microsoft Corporation All rights reserved nbsp nbsp Surface 3 Tablet, DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE, 0x9f, acpi.sys Loading Dump File C Windows MEMORY DMP Kernel Bitmap Dump File Only kernel address space is available nbsp --------- nbsp kd gt symfix reload Loading Kernel Symbols Loading User Symbols nbsp Loading unloaded module list kd gt analyze -v nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp Bugcheck Analysis nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp DRIVER POWER STATE FAILURE f A driver has failed to complete a power IRP within a specific time Arguments Arg A device object has been blocking an Irp for too long a time Arg ffffe ad aa Physical Device Object of the stack Arg fffff bfa caa nt TRIAGE F POWER on Win and higher otherwise the Functional Device Object of the stack Arg ffffe ae d bd The blocked IRP nbsp Debugging Details ------------------ DRVPOWERSTATE SUBCODE nbsp DRIVER OBJECT ffffe ac bd IMAGE NAME nbsp ACPI sys DEBUG FLR IMAGE TIMESTAMP nbsp e e MODULE NAME ACPI FAULTING MODULE fffff ACPI DEFAULT BUCKET ID nbsp WIN DRIVER FAULT BUGCHECK STR nbsp x F PROCESS NAME nbsp System CURRENT IRQL nbsp ANALYSIS VERSION debuggers dbg - amd fre DPC STACK BASE nbsp FFFFF BFA FB STACK TEXT nbsp fffff bfa ca fffff be d c f ffffe ad aa fffff bfa caa nt KeBugCheckEx fffff bfa ca fffff be d e ffffe aded a fffff be ab nt PopIrpWatchdogBugcheck xde ff... Read more

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/66a29559-5a5b-49dc-890e-78bb6b51ab9c/surface-3-tablet-driverpowerstatefailure-0x9f-acpisys?forum=w8itprohardware
Relevancy 63.64%

Since the Surface Pro line is a two in one and because my MacBook Pro died three months ago I am really considering selling my iPad Air and switching to the Surface Pro line or whatever comes next line an Surface replacement the iPad good Pro (Tablet)? Is as to use it as a tablet for simple streaming and media and also as a full PC for editing documents presentations and taking notes playing Xbox One on its screen when I am in a place with no Is the Surface Pro line good as an iPad replacement (Tablet)? TV or TV Is the Surface Pro line good as an iPad replacement (Tablet)? being used by others I would like to know how the Surface Pro functions as a tablet so I really wish if you guys tell me your main opinion about it and if possible also answer the following Is the Surface Pro line good as an iPad replacement (Tablet)? questions Can the tablet be kept on for like a year as in locked screen standby mode Like a typical tablet How is the battery in such case While in standby screen locked mode Does it have support for Push notifications and will I actually hear a notification sound Like a notification for email Facebook Also most importantly calls from Skype Viber contacts Is an antivirus required or should I just depend on Windows Defender Malwarebytes I already have a Norton Security for devices license but I am worried this might slow it down I am targeting the i GB RAM model because I won't be upgrading before it literally dies just like my Mac How does it feel streaming YouTube videos or Netflix on it Do videos fit the screen like a TV or it looks like playing a movie on iPad due to different aspect ratio Regarding the Type Cover Does the color change with age Even the Signature Edition one Is the tablet scratch resistant Not talking about screen since it will always be covered by a type covered unless I am using it anyways I mean the tablet body itself ------------------------------- Last question for those who bought it from the US and took it back home How is the Surface Support Repair service from Microsoft Do they honor its warranty Does having an extended warranty redirected to US have any benefits outside the US Thanks all I really appreciate you reading all this Thanks again

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/443859-surface-pro-line-good-ipad-replacement-tablet.html
Relevancy 63.64%

Microsoft Surface blurs boundary between tablet and ultrabookMonica Chen; Joseph Tsai, DIGITIMES [Tuesday 26 June 2012]
Microsoft's announcement of Wintel-based Surface tablet PCs have blurred the boundary between tablets and ultrabooks as Microsoft's tablet PC adopts an Ivy Bridge processor that is designed for notebooks, according to sources from notebook players.

Read article.. Microsoft Surface blurs boundary between tablet and ultrabook

Indeed, as I can see the interface and experience the new Windows 8 OS and Intel confirm the 3rd Gen Processor to suit the OS. Turning to Windows 8 OS is just a beginning to MS.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/7322-microsoft-surface-blurs-boundary-between-tablet-ultrabook.html
Relevancy 63.21%

It's approaching the one year anniversary of the Surface Pro 3's launch, so one would expect that the popular tablet from Microsoft will be getting a refresh sometime soon. While Microsoft isn't ready to share any details on a Surface...

Read more

A:Possible Surface Pro 4 specs reveal fanless, Broadwell-based tablet

I hope it is true, and Windows 10 will make it on this device, but if it doesn't, it'll be more of a funless than fanless device, considering the high prices expected.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/possible-surface-pro-4-specs-reveal-fanless-broadwell-based-tablet.212505/
Relevancy 53.75%

I have upgraded my X Tablet Windows 10 X201 Tablet working buttons Tablet not to Windows bit As far as I can tell everything is working including the WACOM drivers and touchscreen nbsp Wireless has worked perfectly so X201 Tablet Windows 10 Tablet buttons not working far not sure about Bluetooth as I don't use it X201 Tablet Windows 10 Tablet buttons not working nbsp My only issue is that the buttons on the display do not work The power button located on the display does work I tried installing the Tablet Button Driver II and it will go through the install but the buttons do not work nbsp nbsp This is the download link http support lenovo com us en downloads ds nbsp The document claims Windows compatability and was Last Updated Jun nbsp On inspection all the files extracted are dated from and when trying to manually run the software Windows throws up an error that the software is not supported on this PC nbsp nbsp I removed and reinstalled and noted that the driver information page when running the installer does NOT have Windows listed as a supported system nbsp My assumption is that the driver that they have linked on the download page is NOT the most current driver and is infact the driver for Windows from nbsp Does anyone know how to contact Lenovo to get the correct driver posted to the page or know of an alternate source to try and find it

A:X201 Tablet Windows 10 Tablet buttons not working

hi, I can't help you with your question, sorry! Gooed to hear everything else is working fine on your system. Can you tell me what to do to get the x201 tablet's touchscreen to work!? I will have a clean windows 10 install. Where do i get the (right) drivers (windows, Wacom?) Thanx!Carlo

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Tablet-and/X201-Tablet-Windows-10-Tablet-buttons-not-working/td-p/2183432
Relevancy 53.75%

Microsoft has built its own tablet for Windows 8, so I figured it deserved its own thread.

In the past, MS concentrated on software, allowing different companies to work on hardware, and the plan worked. Apple, on the other hand, designed its own hardware, with the software and hardware designers working together, and it also worked. MS will now be going both ways.

A:"Surface" Tablet

It already has quite a long thread:
Microsoft Reveals their "Surface" tablet

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/7170-surface-tablet.html
Relevancy 53.32%

I have Surface 3 pen and I intend to change its tip. Can I put the Surface Pro 4 / Surface Book pen tip into it and expect it to work flawlessly?

A:Will Surface Pro 4 / Surface Book Pen Tip Kit work with Surface 3 / Pro Pen?

Originally Posted by Vincentius Dalton I have Surface 3 pen and I intend to change its tip. Can I put the Surface Pro 4 / Surface Book pen tip into it and expect it to work flawlessly? I don't think that would happen, check this article, especially the comments below: https://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Surface-Pen-Tip-Kit/productID.325725100

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/434228-will-surface-pro-4-surface-book-pen-tip-kit-work-surface-3-pro-pen.html
Relevancy 52.03%

Hey All,

In an attempt to pass my 70 680 exam, I am trying to understand the steps to deploy an image and the tools used.

As I understand it, the sequence is this:

Use Windows SIM to create an answer file and validate it.
Use ImageX to create an image of a referenced PC which has already been sysprepped and store it to a network location.
Deploy the image to the desired computer using ImageX and use the answer file created with Windows SIM to automate the installation process.

My questions: Is this series correct? Where does DISM fit into this sequence?

Thanks for the help

A:Deploying Windows 7

go to the msdn website and go to the library and use the search engine to research your question

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/deploying-windows-7.1016542/
Relevancy 52.03%

I'm rolling out Windows 7 to my small company, which is a non-profit, and I won't be setting up a deployment server...so keep that in mind.

In the past, with XP, I created a ghost image for each of my hardware devices, and stored them on a server. When I needed to reimage, I'd boot from a custom BartPE disc, access the server share, and use Ghost32 to pull down the image.

My older version of Ghost has issues with Windows 7, so I'm looking for a new bootable method. I don't want to use an external USB drive, as I'll be doing the upgrades clinic-style, meaning I'll have several going at once.

Would BartPE and Macrium Reflect be my best option? I am only rolling out Windows 7 x86, so the free version should be okay....or is there something better I should consider?

Maybe have a look at this and let me know what you think, I haven't used it I just know of it.

Paragon Adaptive Restore Technology

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/117702-deploying-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 52.03%

I am looking for a solution for how to put a image on 80 different PCs that are running windows 7. I am deploying 80 new PCs. I want to create one image and then deploy them on the 80 new PCs. Also should i buy OEM or let the computer come with windows and office??? Thanks

You have 2 scenarios:

Get the 80 nodes, do it all yourself by setting up 1 system, then do a mass image deployment using software like Symantec Ghost or Arconis Snap Deploy.

Get 1 system from the supplier, load the system to your specs (or have them do it), have the supplier mass image the systems for you. The costs involved depend on your software requirements.

The advantage of you doing the master image on your own, and maintaining your own image server (even as a virtual machine so as not to have it running when you don't need it) is that you will have your own RE-deployment option in place if/when you need to re-image a system down the road for a number of reasons that would require it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/165118-deploying-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 52.03%

Hi First off I will apologize for the complicated nature of this thread I have several machines that have OEM licenses of Windows Pro What I would like to do is do the following Install Windows Pro onto them For each machine I will need to activate using their own product key that is tied to the BIOS 10 and Windows a MDT OEM using Deploying key? as I don't have a VL or individual licenses Install an in-place Windows Pro installation Preferably I would like to do this all with a MDT Task Sequence From what I have read Microsoft will not let people use OEM licenses with deployment However what I gather is that MS misunderstands what people want to do and they Deploying Windows 10 using MDT and a OEM key? think that they want to install Windows using a single OEM product key off a machine to multiple other PCs and that's not what I want to do at all A MS Rep was asked about this on the website Spiceworks and he responded with this You can create a standard image for deployment using only VL media You cant use an image based off Deploying Windows 10 using MDT and a OEM key? the OEM image and activation key on multiple PCs The OEM activation key is tied to the device and Deploying Windows 10 using MDT and a OEM key? you cant use a single OEM key on multiple PCs What I am trying to do for each of the machines individually so not using a single OEM activation key to activate multiple PCs is install Windows on a computer that already had it on it activate it using the legit key it came with installed into the BIOS and upgrade to Windows in a single task sequence Any advice

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/49573-deploying-windows-10-using-mdt-oem-key.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi all!

The company that I work for has satellite sites in some remote locations where network access is simply to slow to deploy images through. We would therefor want to put a image of windows 7 with all the drivers, and some of the most common software used included, on a 16 GB USB drive.

So far I have been installing Windows 7 on a reference computer, with the drivers and software that I needed, and then syspreped it and used imagex to capture the image.

Is there a better way to do what I want? Maybe by using MDT?
The image must contain drivers for different Dell models (they seem to use most of the same drivers anyway).

A:Need help deploying Windows 7 with usb drives

put iso image on usb drive with this program to make bootable from usb and install. Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

Also i used magiciso to create image.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/180475-need-help-deploying-windows-7-usb-drives.html
Relevancy 51.6%

When I attempted to deploy a printer connection on Win x via quot Deploy with Group Policy quot nbsp as outlined here nbsp https technet microsoft com en-us library cc aspx the directions are for but the process is still the same the printers would not deploy nbsp GPresult logs gave this error for the gpo that was used to push the printer quot Filtering Not Applied Empty quot nbsp To get the gpo to apply and the printer to deploy nbsp I need to add a startup script to run pushprinterconnections exe nbsp My understanding was that pushprinterconnections was only required for xp and nbsp I have seen several articles including this technet one nbsp https technet microsoft com en-us library cc v ws aspx that state that it is required for Operating systems prior to vista nbsp This article nbsp https technet microsoft com en-us library hh aspx on nbsp pushprinterconnections states that it applies Deploying windows via Printers 8.1 GPO to to newer operating systems etc nbsp So which one is it

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/80d4d0ce-6be1-40b4-a908-8eec9bbcc9ea/deploying-printers-via-gpo-to-windows-81?forum=w8itprogeneral
Relevancy 51.6%
Relevancy 51.6%

first of all hello to all
i am preparing for MCTS 70-680 (Win 7 configuration exam)
for doing labs i am using VMware workstation 7.
every thing is going OK but when i try to copy the created image wim file to destination computer.
on that particular dest computer i cannot access the e: drive in which i have the Windows PE(pre environment) disk.

the command i use is like that :
x:\e:\imagex.exe /apply f:\capturedimage.wim 1 c:
i got error the system cannot find the drive specified.

what i am doing wrong here can some body pls help me on this.
thanks in advance.

A:problem deploying windows 7

I am not sure I understand what's going on with your command usage.

Code:
x:\e:\imagex.exe /apply f:\capturedimage.wim 1 c:
If you are booted into your PE environment I don't believe you need to reference back to the disk you booted from. When you open the command prompt you should be sitting at

Code:
x:\
Right?

Can you try just typing the command as follows.

Code:
imagex.exe /apply f:\capturedimage.wim 1 c:
Here is some good documentation.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...(v=ws.10).aspx

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/229821-problem-deploying-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 51.6%

For 8.1 Windows security are Best-Practice ? What tweaks? example back in the day with XP I was told it was wise to to go into your network adapters both Ethernet amp Wireless and disable the NetBIOS and all IPv functions It was also wise to go in and disable certain services you would never use like Remote Desktop Does anyone have a link to a solid reputable Windows security tweak article Windows 8.1 ? What are Best-Practice security tweaks? relative to a home machine with no corporate connectivity Thanks My Straw Man Inventory What I think I may know - Confirm UEFI secure boot precludes much of root kit malware - Enable the Ctrl-Alt-Del login option - for boot and also challenge when machine awakens greatly reduce preclude risk of hacked remote login - Disable Remote Assistance Connections to this Computer from System - Create a non-Administrator user account and use that day to day for web browsing and such Only login as Administrator when you need to like installing apps - Review Firewall settings Delete all green allow rules for - - F vpn client - - Juniper Networks Junos Pulse - - CheckPoint VPN - - Proximity sharing over TCP - - Remote Assistance like entries - - Basically everything except for Core Networking and maybe Skype FOR BOTH Inbound and Outbound rule sets - - I also disabled all Outbound connections for the Domain Profile and the Public Profile leaving the Private Profile my profile active for Outbound so I can send browser requests and such That may be too much but Defender updates seem to work Not sure yet if I've stiff-armed certain truly-required Windows functions - I assume disabling NetBIOS and IPv from both network adapters is no longer required for Windows but you know what they say about those who assume so I did it anyway - I also uncheck quot File Share quot item on each of the Eathernet and Wireless adapters - since I don't do that ---------- I turned OFF all Windows Features except NET amp Powershell including these - Internet Explorer I never use it Firefox and Chrome only - Media features I use VLC amp IrfanView - Remote Differential Compression API Support - Print and Document Services both nested Internet Printing Client amp Windows Fax and Scan - SMB CIFS File Sharing Support - Windows Location Provider - Work Folders Client - XPS Services - XPS Viewer ---------- Disable services Winkey R services msc - NOT msconfig - disable the following the OEM state is listed for roll-back reference Black Viper is always the go-to guy for me for these things Black Viper s Windows Service Configurations - minor variations are listed below probably because I'm running and his list if for - Bluetooth support services Manual Trigger Start I don't use on my desktop - Certificate Propagation Manual - Distributed Link Tracking Client Automatic - Family Safety Manual - Hyper-V Data Exchange Service Manual Trigger Start - Hyper-V Guest Service Interface Manual Trigger Start - Not on Black Viper's list addition - Hyper-V Guest Shutdown Service Manual Trigger Start - Hyper-V Heartbeat Service Manual Trigger Start - Hyper-V Remote Desktop Visualization Service Manual Trigger Start - Hyper-V Time Synchronization Service Manual Trigger Start - Hyper-V Volume Shadow Copy Requester Manual Trigger Start - Microsoft iSCSI Initiator Service Manual - Netlogin Manual - Network Access Protection Agent Manual - Offline files Manual Trigger Start - Note on his list - not in my services - maybe I already turned that off with Features - Remote Access Auto Connection Manager Manual - Not disabled on his list I did - Remote Access Connection Manager Manual - Not disabled on his list I did - Remote Desktop Configuration Manual - Not disabled on his list I did - Remote Desktop Services Manual - Not disabled on his list I did - Remote Desktop Services UserMode Port Redirector Manual - Not disabled on his list I did - Remote Procedure Call RPC Locator - Secondary Logon Manual - Not disabled on his list I did - Sensor Monitoring Service ... Read more

A:Windows 8.1 – What are Best-Practice security tweaks?

Nice.

Here are some links that have helped me harden my PC :

Hardening Windows 7 Guide. Part 1 | Harden Windows 7 for Security
Great guide in 4 parts, very detailed, applies mostly to win 8 too

mechBgon's guide for first-time PC builders... Best practices for ongoing security
Another great guide, maybe more accessible to regular users, be sure to check his page on SRP too

Wilders Security Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Great forums, a lot of information if you take the time to browse them

Secunia
A good site to check if your current software has any known vulnerabilities, you can also install their software to do it automatically for you

NVD - Home
The official US site, with some serious info about security

Top 4 Strategies to Mitigate Targeted Cyber Intrusions: Mandatory Requirement Explained : ASD Australian Signals Directorate (formerly DSD)
The same but from the australian goverment, most is easy to implement.

Bullet Proof Windows
An old blog, not recently updated, but all the info still applies

http://www.eightforums.com/system-security/36465-windows-8-1-what-best-practice-security-tweaks.html
Relevancy 51.6%

I just recieved my new dell inspiron 13 5000 which is a 2in1 and I haven't used it much until today at school. I received it last Monday. When I have to almost closed 45 degree angle the bottom right hand corner does not wobble but when I open it more than that or 90 degrees normal typing angle the bottom right corner of the laptop lifts up above the table and it wobbles when I type unless I hold it down. I would like to know if this is faulty or supposed to be like this becuase it's really annoying. Could I get an exchange for non faulty one?

A:New Inspiron has Uneven Bottom Surface when placed on a flat table/surface and wobbles

You can return a system for replacement for any reason within 21 days of the date of shipment.  It sounds like the chassis is not in tolerance.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19985487
Relevancy 51.17%

So I am having many issues with windows 8. First of all, when I sysprep it does not do what I want it to do (like windows 7) so I am not syspreping. Now, when I capture my image using WinPE v.3.0m it skips MANY files and when I apply the wim file to another computer, my image does not work. It tells me that many files are missing and that I need to repair windows. When I try to repair windows, nothing gets repaired and I get stuck there and I can not advanced.

I read about the new version of WinPE 4.0 with NET and PowerShell. I followed the instruction from DeploymentResearch website and still unsuccessful. Anybody have any ideas? Solutions? Tips? I am really stuck.

Thanks,
-I

A:Capturing and Deploying Windows 8: Issues

What do you mean when you say sysprep doesn't do what you want it to do? What do you want it to do?

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/18218-capturing-deploying-windows-8-issues.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Hi all,

I'm only a part time computer geek (OK, so more than part time), but I haven't dived into Windows ICD or image deployment. I know you use ICD to customize a provisioning package or image, but are there official tools or ways of converting a working live Windows 10 installation into a deployable image?

In the past, I'd just make the system the way I went prior to activating windows or entering a product key, then image the drive with Acronis and then deploy and lastly activate. Is this OK to do, or should I go another route.

I realistically only need the image to deploy to a few identical targets.

Thanks!

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/54001-creating-deploying-windows-10-image.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Hiya

Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) includes the Windows Firewall, a replacement for the Internet Connection Firewall (ICF) in previous versions of Windows XP. Windows Firewall is a stateful host-based firewall that discards unsolicited incoming traffic, providing a level of protection for computers against malicious users or programs. To provide better protection for computers connected to any kind of network (such as the Internet, a home network, or an organization network), Windows XP SP2 enables Windows Firewall on all network connections by default. This new behavior can impair some types of communications. This article describes how to deploy the appropriate configuration settings for Windows Firewall on an organization network so that it is enabled and providing protection, and so that communications are not impaired.
System Requirements
Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000, Windows NT, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP

Microsoft Word

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...e1-61fa-447a-bdcd-499f73a637d1&DisplayLang=en

Regards

eddie

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/deploying-windows-firewall-settings-for-xp-sp2.284663/
Relevancy 51.17%

Hello I have Lenovo think center m P type a model us nbsp I have deployed my image on these machines like I have done Deploying 7 image windows seems but disabled usb 's of times on all different types of machines ranging from other Deploying windows 7 image but usb seems disabled lenovo system HP dell etc I had recently updated the image that I am using to include some new standard software our organization uses as well as any new windows updates to that date jan nbsp I have since successfully deployed this image on systems and being Lenovo think center m p's To create my image i got windows to the way I like it nbsp Removed it from the domain Removed all unknown users from the machine nbsp At this point I ran the sysprep tool which choosing oobe with the generalize switch checked and had the shutdown switch engaged as well computer shut down as expected I then boot into a live linux cd image knoppix nbsp Deploying windows 7 image but usb seems disabled I run the partimage and back up the boot partition and the windows partition I used linux and partimage to deploy the image on all the machines So far everything has worked as expected nbsp Now this is where everything starts going sideways nbsp windows starts up and says it is installing devices after that is complete the computers then reboot nbsp When it comes up with the windows and the windows symbol starts doing its animation all lights on the keyboard goes out and the optical mouse the red light goes out as well I booted into the windows statup repair tool mounted the registry and Deploying windows 7 image but usb seems disabled check the usb settings under current control set everything is set to turn on nbsp Any thoughts on how to get around this Thanks

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d4b65e32-03bb-4145-9622-1cc4bd14298f/deploying-windows-7-image-but-usb-seems-disabled?forum=w7itproinstall
Relevancy 51.17%

There is a requirement to deploy 150 desktops and applications across an organization.
These are Dell/Lenovo/HP pre-imaged machines.
What is an efficient way to add them to the domain and deploy applications with minimal interaction at the desktop side?

Genius is always standing in the midst of smarter company...

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/02769ab6-66e8-4061-8b53-26013b1e271a/deploying-windows-781-pro-desktops-across-the-enterprise?forum=w7itproinstall
Relevancy 51.17%

Hello,

I am a system builder and I'm planning on selling them. I decided to buy Windows 7 OEM licences for these machines and preinstall them using the Windows Automated Installation Kit, which I am required to use as stated by the System Builders licence. However, I have never used the WAIK before.

Can someone tell me where do I download it and how to use it?
Thanks in advance.

A:Deploying Windows 7 using the Automated Installation Kit

Check out this walkthrough tutorial: Windows 7 Image - Customize in Audit Mode with Sysprep. There are two explaining videos, too, check out at least the shorter one.

It might not be exactly what you want to but it gives you an idea, shows how to use WAIK and where to get it. The main purpose of WAIK as told in this tutorial is to create a so called unattended answer file, to be used with Windows System Preparation Tool (Sysprep) to create a customized Windows image which can be then be deployed to any hardware.

Kari

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/338157-deploying-windows-7-using-automated-installation-kit.html
Relevancy 50.74%

Hi All

1- is running sys prep on source machine is required to capture image of the windows using Dism? can we capture image without running sysprep?

2- when i deploy image using dism , and reboot the system .. the windows is not starting! why ?

regards

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/da1757d4-6b2c-427d-99f8-f15ad37363bc/is-sysprep-is-required-for-capturing-windows-image-for-deploying-windows-using-dism?forum=w8itproinstall
Relevancy 50.74%

Hi this App 8 Windows Interface) (Modern best practice updates: is somethig i do not get and relly do not like how it seems to work what i would like to achieve is in first instance to update all the system at a time so far what it seems to me now it's like i have to manage two operating systems one on the desktop side and one on the app modern interface side if Windows 8 App (Modern Interface) updates: best practice point one is not possible as now i assume because did not found a way to do that in nd instance stop the metro operating system willing to reinstall all the apps i removed this happens to me at every update for example if i removed games sport meteo etc that i don't need at every calendar update all the previously removed are checked for install and i have to remove manually this selection trying to remember if that app was keeped or not WW TT FF sorry do you want me to go insane with this This is really what i call the system getting in my way - overall i really like windows but this really p s me off a lot and hope someone know how to quot fix quot this otherwise i'm going to ignore the metro installing classic shell so in rd instance is classic shell mature and stable for a working environment or do i put my system at risk my normal policy is to install the less programs i can to avoid uneeded issues hope this is clear thanks a lot Roy

A:Windows 8 App (Modern Interface) updates: best practice

I've used Classic Shell for months without any problems from it.

And I've never heard of anyone complain about it.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/28954-windows-8-app-modern-interface-updates-best-practice.html
Relevancy 50.74%

Hi,

Anyone have a best practice for user who wants to change there password on there Windows machine (on a domain) and phone at the same time without locking there account?. Most of the time the user change his password on Windows then by the time it change it on his phone his account is lock due to the fact that the phone is trying to login with old password.

A:Best practice to change password on Windows and phone

Log out on one machine before you change your password on the other.
Log back in with new password.

This post made my brain hurt quite a lot! its like chicken Vs egg ..

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/best-practice-to-change-password-on-windows-and-phone.189331/
Relevancy 50.74%

Hi ,which of the following two devices you would recommend
- Surface pro 4 Core M3-6Y30 HDD 128GB RAM 4GB or
- Surface 3 Atom x7-Z8700 HDD 128GB RAM 4GB
I have Surface Pro first edition with Intel Core i5, but would like more light and thin tablet with long lasting battery. I do not game nor draw, thus consider that the power of the above two would be just fine for using MS office, Inet browsing and HD videos (incl. MKV files).
What do you think?

A:Surface pro 4 Core M3-6Y30 or Surface 3 Atom x7-Z8700 ?

The Surface pro 4 is in fact the better device. The only possible argument is that some people might want the ability to add LTE connectivity, prefer the smaller screen and or smaller price of the Surface 3.
SP4 Pros
-------
The Core M processor is going to be better than an Atom Processor
Larger (higher resolution) Screen and Smaller bezel
Better keyboard that has space between keys and larger (glass) trackpad
Windows Hello Iris Scanner
Gorilla Glass 4
8 megapixel rear shooter and 5 megapixel front shooter
----------
But if you do not care about the above advantages and or prefer LTE capability, a smaller display, and a smaller price then by all means the Surface 3 is probably for you

http://forums.windowscentral.com/general-tablet-laptop-discussion/388976-surface-pro-4-core-m3-6y30-surface-3-atom-x7-z8700.html
Relevancy 50.74%

We have new driver and firmware updates for Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book devices.

Click the headings below to go to the specific location for your device on the Download Center. At the Download Center, click Details then click + More to see all available downloads for the device. For all devices you can follow the same deployment process that is used for Surface Pro 3 described at Surface TechCenter.

Source: http://blogs.technet.com/b/surface/a...k-devices.aspx

Direct Download:

SP4: microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49498

SB: microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49497

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/32982-december-updates-your-surface-pro-4-surface-book-devices.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Hello all,
I am a SCCM newbie and need some help. I have captured my Windows 7 customer image. I have created the TS and all seems to go well but when the machine reboots and starts the install is fails. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Rick

Relevancy 50.31%

Using command prompt I have cleaned the drive, created a primary partition, and extracted install.wim from a windows 7 installation disk and deployed it using dism. Upon trying to boot, the laptop simply asks me to choose what device to boot from continuously. Am I missing something?

A:Windows fails to boot after deploying install.wim

Any reason why not using the traditional way - use Win 7 installation DVD to install Windows into the notebook?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/605850/windows-fails-to-boot-after-deploying-installwim/
Relevancy 50.31%

From the article:

Microsoft yesterday announced that beginning in October it will offer only cumulative security updates for Windows 7 and 8.1, ending the decades-old practice of letting customers choose which patches they apply.

Microsoft to end decades-old pick-a-patch practice in Windows 7

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/623678/microsoft-to-end-decades-old-pick-a-patch-practice-in-windows-7/
Relevancy 49.88%

Hi All
i did the following steps and didn't work for me.
1- inside my hyper-v environment, created a virtual machine, installed windows 8.1 + Office 2013 + other software
2- i did run sysprep.exe and ticket generalize, and reboot the system
3- boot from winpe cd , and run this script :  dism /capture-image /captureDir:c:\ /imagefile:e:\windows8.wim /name="My Windows 8"
after complete the capture ,
1- created another virtual machine , and booted from winpe disk ....
2- dism /Apply-Image /ImageFile:e:\  /Index:1 /ApplyDir:C:\ 

after this has been completed, and reboot the virtual machine i get the msg : no operating system installed!!
why is this happened?

regards

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/649a21fa-f859-4ab2-90c2-c06b611b87f6/after-deploying-windows-8-using-dism-it-says-no-operating-system-install-?forum=w8itproinstall
Relevancy 49.88%

I have created a base image of Windows x to deploy to same systems After a sysprep with sysprep x32 to Failed (deploying after reboot windows image) 7 drivers and programs installed I capture the image Failed to reboot after sysprep (deploying windows 7 x32 image) using Clonezilla and reboot Once reboot occurs I get quot Setup is updating registry settings quot followed by the error message quot Windows could not configur quot I have checked the disk partitions and it keeps moving the system drv to disk letter C windows to D and the recovery disk to E I tried renaming those and had no luck I have recovered the setup etl of the image and found variations of this registry error lt Data Name quot Failed to reboot after sysprep (deploying windows 7 x32 image) Message quot gt Failed to Failed to reboot after sysprep (deploying windows 7 x32 image) process reg key or one of its descendants REGISTRY MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Installer UserData lt Data gt All errors have same path with variations of endings I think it may be a progam on the image that may becausing this but I have no idea on how to find that program I have also attempted to use Startup Repair from the Windows Installation Media I have run it several times an no difference It says it will repair the boot manager and cannot find the windows partition Any help would be greatly appreciated I can specify more details if need be

A:Failed to reboot after sysprep (deploying windows 7 x32 image)

If all systems are the same, no need for sysprep.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/171946-failed-reboot-after-sysprep-deploying-windows-7-x32-image.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Hi

We use WSUS 3.0 and have recently manually added Ie10 which has been sent to a few test users.

It appears looking at the windows update logs it tries to install IE10 but fails daily with the error code 0x80070643

Code:
153c Report REPORT EVENT: {CF2C110A-B0B5-4574-90B8-425CE5CC199F} 2013-04-11 12:01:22:990+0100 1 195 101 {87E13ECB-C669-43BE-9E2A-01E567285031} 203 80070643 AutomaticUpdates Failure Content Install Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070643: Internet Explorer 10 for Windows 7.
any ideas what is going on?

Please see below for files as requested

any help much appreciated!

Thanks

A:Deploying IE10 for Windows 7 from WSUS - Error: 0x80070643

anyone?

really need help on this!

thanks in advance

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/285982-deploying-ie10-windows-7-wsus-error-0x80070643.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Hiya

This level 200 session focuses on deploying applications created with Visual Studio® .NET, contrasting deployment issues surrounding Visual Basic 6, COM objects, and the registry with the simpler Microsoft® .NET deployment

System Requirements
Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000, Windows 2000 Service Pack 2, Windows NT, Windows XP

- Required disk space: 37 mb
- Windows Media Player 6.x or greater
- Internet Explorer 5.x or greater
- MSXML 4.0 SP1

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...33-80fa-4d82-a142-bd539134ae76&DisplayLang=en

Regards

eddie

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/deploying-windows-forms-applications-using-visual-basic-net-mar-12.123471/
Relevancy 49.88%

Hi All
after I applied image using dism all the profile on the source machine exist on the destination machine... I even did generalize from sysprep.

how to make a clean windows without any profile?

regards

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/1dc2af60-e663-43fb-b9f9-8ed1a982fece/why-after-deploying-windows-with-dism-on-the-destination-pc-all-profile-exist-?forum=w8itproinstall
Relevancy 49.88%

The only difference i can think of is that the last time i tried to log in I had a zip drive connected into a USB port.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/445290-turn-surface-pro-word-surface-appears-no-way-log.html
Relevancy 49.45%

I have heard but not sure if true or not but I am trying to run the opk or predeploy a Windows 7 Pro 64bit image created with the opk software. Image is on CD and settings on a USB flash drive.  It runs fine and boots from CD but will not assign a drive
to the USB hence cannot apply the self extracting settings.

Motherboard:  Asus B150M-K 
CPU: Intel G4400
Memory :  Kingston 8GB DDR4
Hard Drive: Seagate 1TB

Has work fine with other setups but with a different chipset like the H81.

Please advise.

Thanks in advance.
Steve

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/1a230c20-e394-4920-aa1e-e6c7823b0c0d/deploying-windows-7-pro-64bit-and-b150-chipset-usb-drive-not-found?forum=w7itproinstall
Relevancy 49.02%

I m currently troubleshooting errors during nbsp deployment of Windows to Latitude e laptops We are deploying with SCCM build Drivers are the newest available from Dell com When the deployment reaches the state where Windows are quot Getting devices ready quot it reaches and the text switches to Latitude to Problems Enterprise e5550 with 64bit SCCM Windows deploying 10 quot Getting ready quot Problems deploying Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit to Latitude e5550 with SCCM This screen stays on for - minutes and then the install are defaulting to where you have to select Network When this is done the laptop reboots and the the installation fails I can see the laptop is never joining the AD domain but are successfully downloading packages drivers and software from the distribution points Deploying to ther Dell laptop models e e and so on and other makes generally are no problem - ONLY the Latitude e Have any of you guys seen anything like this or do you have an idea to track Down the problem I can t find any errors besides the laptop not being domain joined and the SCCM complaining about this

A:Problems deploying Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit to Latitude e5550 with SCCM

I am running into this issue on all of the new skylake models we are working with. I used a USB NIC and was able to get Windows 10 to complete and then the on board NICS where there and active but during the build process it is hanging every time if I don't use the USB NIC. I am seeing this on 7040's, 5470's and 7510's. Windows 7 is going on these without an issue. Have you found how to make the onboard NICS work during OSD yet, just curious as I have been fighting this for a month now?

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4997/t/19678916
Relevancy 49.02%

I recently encountered an issue that has me stumped and extensive Google searching has revealed nothing more than vague details so here's hoping someone can help The company I work for uses MDT to deploy our customized Windows image to about different makes and models of laptop and desktop computers We have been using essentially the same task sequences for a number of years and about a year ago began implementing the pre-provisioning of BitLocker during deployment to speed things along All was going well until we recently go our first laptop 7 Issues when 2013 Deploying using Windows Troubleshooting BitLocker NVMe to Devices MDT with an NVMe SSD After much frustration I discovered the required KBs to provide native Windows support for the NVMe SSD and all seemed well I successfully deployed our image and upon restarting I was prompted for the BitLocker recovery key I assumed I had made a mistake in the BIOS configuration and ensured that the NVMe SSD was Troubleshooting BitLocker Issues when Deploying Windows 7 to NVMe Devices using MDT 2013 first in Troubleshooting BitLocker Issues when Deploying Windows 7 to NVMe Devices using MDT 2013 the boot order I entered the recovery key logged into the system suspended BitLocker restarted and then resumed BitLocker Unfortunately every subsequent reboot resulted in the drive being locked and the recovery key needing to be entered Experience has taught me that times out of a it is user error so I started over I rebooted the system into WinPE ran DiskPart to wipe the drive rebooted and reset the BIOS to factory defaults Because the NVMe is only supported by UEFI I set the required BIOS setting changed the boot order and cleared the security chip Rebooted into WinPE and kicked off the image deployment Once again all went well but upon restarting I nbsp was forced to enter the recovery key and again on each subsequent reboot I have attempted to suspend BitLocker and then clear the security chip in the bios then initialize TPM and resume BitLocker but this has no effect I have attempted to complete decrypt the drive and then re-enable BitLocker but this also has no effect Has anyone encountered a similar problem and found a solution or is there a process by which to view logs of the events that are triggering BitLocker to lock down the drive

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/3b534531-3f82-4078-a7c2-03445a2d5e3a/troubleshooting-bitlocker-issues-when-deploying-windows-7-to-nvme-devices-using-mdt-2013?forum=w7itproinstall
Relevancy 47.73%

Hi there I have a WDS server setup with images but I am having trouble with the unattend answer file bit I always get an error after deploying in image during setup that it had trouble during the Speicalize phase I believe it has something to do with the product key most likely I am wanting to skip product key entirely and leave it blank as the computers I'm deploying are all Lenovo business computers with the on board chip for activation The exact error I get is quot Windows could not parse or process the unattend answer file for pass specialize The settings specified in the answer file cannot be applied The answer pass from "Windows after or Get [specialize]" 7 not the for WDS could error parse process file deploying unattend Windows error was detected while processing settings for component Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup quot I am able to get the computer up and running by going into REGEDIT Childcompletion key and changing the value of quot Setup Get error "Windows could not parse or process the unattend answer file for pass [specialize]" after deploying Windows 7 from WDS quot from Get error "Windows could not parse or process the unattend answer file for pass [specialize]" after deploying Windows 7 from WDS to but I am wondering how I can prevent this entirely Thanks Here is the answer file I'm using lt component gt lt settings gt lt settings pass quot oobeSystem quot gt lt component name quot Microsoft-Windows-International-Core quot processorArchitecture quot x quot publicKeyToken quot bf ad e quot language quot neutral quot versionScope quot nonSxS quot xmlns wcm quot http schemas microsoft com WMIConfig State quot xmlns xsi quot http www w org XMLSchema-instance quot gt lt InputLocale gt lt InputLocale gt lt UILanguage gt en-US lt UILanguage gt lt UserLocale gt en-US lt UserLocale gt lt component gt Get error "Windows could not parse or process the unattend answer file for pass [specialize]" after deploying Windows 7 from WDS lt component name quot Microsoft-Windows-International-Core quot processorArchitecture quot amd quot publicKeyToken quot bf ad e quot language quot neutral quot versionScope quot nonSxS quot xmlns wcm quot http schemas microsoft com WMIConfig State quot xmlns xsi quot http www w org XMLSchema-instance quot gt lt InputLocale gt lt InputLocale gt lt UILanguage gt en-US lt UILanguage gt lt UserLocale gt en-US lt UserLocale gt lt component gt lt component name quot Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup quot processorArchitecture quot x quot publicKeyToken quot bf ad e quot language quot neutral quot versionScope quot nonSxS quot xmlns wcm quot http schemas microsoft com WMIConfig State quot xmlns xsi quot http www w org XMLSchema-instance quot gt lt RegisteredOwner gt innadmin lt RegisteredOwner gt lt OOBE gt lt HideEULAPage gt true lt HideEULAPage gt lt NetworkLocation gt Work lt NetworkLocation gt lt ProtectYourPC gt lt ProtectYourPC gt lt HideWirelessSetupInOOBE gt true lt HideWirelessSetupInOOBE gt lt SkipMachineOOBE gt true lt SkipMachineOOBE gt lt SkipUserOOBE gt true lt SkipUserOOBE gt lt OOBE gt lt DisableAutoDaylightTimeSet gt false lt DisableAutoDaylightTimeSet gt lt FirstLogonCommands gt lt SynchronousCommand wcm action quot add quot gt lt RequiresUserInput gt false lt RequiresUserInput gt lt Order gt lt Order gt lt Description gt Disable Auto Updates lt Description gt lt CommandLine gt reg add quot HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion WindowsUpdate Auto Update quot v AUOptions t REG DWORD d f lt CommandLine gt lt SynchronousCommand gt lt SynchronousCommand wcm action quot add quot gt lt Description gt Control Panel View lt Description gt lt Order gt lt Order gt lt CommandLine gt reg add quot HKEY CURRENT USER Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Explorer ControlPanel quot v StartupPage t REG DWORD d f lt CommandLine gt lt RequiresUserInput gt true lt RequiresUserInput gt lt SynchronousCommand gt lt SynchronousCommand wcm action ... Read more

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/8ac6152e-2a7c-4270-8729-5f7a2fec4037/get-error-quotwindows-could-not-parse-or-process-the-unattend-answer-file-for-pass?forum=w7itproinstall
Relevancy 46.44%
Relevancy 46.01%

I have a Tablet drawing monitor, and today the pen stopped working, I fiddled with it for a while, I tried uninstalling the drivers for the Hardware and reinstalling, but then I noticed that the Tablet Settings and Calibration Options you normally see in Control Panel are mysteriously gone. After maybe 2 hrs of googling I've given up,. there's very little on google, and now im considering doing a "Rest This PC." Any help would be appreciated.

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/48063-tablet-settings-tablet-calibration-missing-control-panel-win10.html
Relevancy 45.15%

Does anyone know if there is a program available (free if possible) similar to Quicken (Deluxe) that I could use on my Android Tablet(HP 10 Tablet G2 -2301)? That would keep track of bank accounts and interest earned, and keep track of one stock IRA and interest earned and yearly RMD? And produce reports for that interest earned, etc.? Mainly for using when preparing yearly tax forms.

A:Quicken alternative for Android Tablet(HP 10 Tablet G2 -2301

Have you looked at Mint.com?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/quicken-alternative-for-android-tablet-hp-10-tablet-g2-2301.1162951/
Relevancy 45.15%

plz help
i have lenovo thinkpad 2 tablet it was not running well so i decided to reset it ...
but after 1 hr,it says "WINDOWS INSTALLATION FAILED PLEASE RESTART THE INSTALLATION"
and it keeps on repeating the same thing...
please help me ....

A:PERFORMED TABLET RESET now UNABLE to START TABLET

If it is still under warranty, call Lenovo. IF you tried to reset to factory defaults, and it is still failing, then you have something else that is going bad. My suspicion would be memory as that is what happened to me although it was on a desktop. Something to check...good luck.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/49038-performed-tablet-reset-now-unable-start-tablet.html
Relevancy 45.15%

Well, finally, the time has come - I got a Surface Pro, and I love it

But, I would like to try(fresh install from USB ISO, rtm edition) and play with Windows Blue. If I want to do that on a traditional PC/laptop I wouldn't even ask here how to do it, but with this I want to be sure.

I have 128GB version, so I don't need to move recovery partiton on USB, I have enough room for me, but my question is will it still be there after new, fresh installation of Windows Blue?

Since I will do a fresh install, I need to save current key for registering 8.1, if so how can I get it?

What about drivers, will they download auto after install, are they preinstalled?

Hope you can help

Benko

A:Windows 8.1 and Surface Pro

You need to wait until 18 October & download from the MS App Store.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/30882-windows-8-1-surface-pro.html
Relevancy 45.15%

I couldn't find the right Forum, and hope a moderator will move this to wherever it belongs.

The device has 2 accts Administrator and Dane (with Admin privilege). I install Office, supposededly available to all users. Now I plan to give it to Kristen, so I add acct Kristen (with Admin Privilege). If I logon as Dane, Office is available; If I logon as Kristen, I can't find Office. How can I fix this? Because once Kristen is working, I want to delete acct Dane (to remove password files and other personal stuff). TY!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f338/surface-os-is-windows-rt-1046289.html
Relevancy 45.15%

I know RT will not be getting 10, but are there any updates (especially the telemetry ones) I should avoid?
Right now, I have the RT set-up to where I initiate the checking & any updating.

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-updates-activation/75688-surface-windows-rt-8-1-a.html
Relevancy 45.15%

Hi,

I have a Windows Surface retrieved and want to switch to the Dutch language.
But some apps remain in English.
Any idea how I can fix this?

Greetz,

Bjorn

A:Windows Surface

Hi Bjorn,

Did you buy the Surface in The Netherlands? Or did you import it from the USA? Normally, when bought in The Netherlands, the Surface comes with a Dutch Windows version on in.

Did you tried reinstalling the apps that remain in English yet? Please try so.

You could also try running the SFC Scannow command ==> SFC /SCANNOW Command - Run in Windows 8

Good luck with it and let me know if this works.

Greetz,

Rover.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/34019-windows-surface.html
Relevancy 45.15%

Hey all, I encountered this problem with my surface pro 3 where I installed a clean Windows 10 from the microsoft website, and from then the system does not boot past the "surface" boot logo.
I have tried all ways possible from my standpoint, going to BIOS and disabling TPM and secure boot, keying in my Bitlocker recovery key, and the page just doesn't go past the surface boot logo page.
Please help!

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/441343-surface-pro-3-windows-10-help.html
Relevancy 45.15%

Hi All
I unboxed my SP4 last night and can't seem to find Windows Hello as a sign in option.
Is this feature supported in England?

http://forums.windowscentral.com/general-tablet-laptop-discussion/397460-windows-hello-surface-pro-4-uk.html
Relevancy 45.15%

Anybody going to put Windows 7 on a Surface Pro?
Here's the situation. My IT dept is not ready for Windows 8. We won't be moving off of SCCM 2007 for another 9 to 12 months and we won't be have 2008 on the domain servers for another 7 to 10 months. So we're just not in a position to deploy W8 for a little
while. However everybody wants Windows 8 hardware.  Bottom line, I will be building OSD driver packages for Windows 8 hardware like the Dell XPS 12 duo and the Surface Pro. Anybody else have any experience with W7 on W8 hardware. 

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ccf0a3ae-a845-4b07-9ff9-6e8cfb4561a8/windows-7-on-a-surface-pro?forum=w8itprohardware
Relevancy 45.15%

What can I use for a back up. Will Macrium Reflect work on my machine?
I use Acronis True image on my desktop but with a surface tablet there is no way to install it. any ideas
thanks
ron

A:Windows Surface 2 RT 8.1

Hello Ron,

You wouldn't be able to Macrium Reflect since it's a desktop app as well.

If you like, you could use the built-in File History feature for file backups, System Image for a Windows backup, and/or use custom recovery images.

File History - How to Use in Windows 8

System Image - Create in Windows 8

Refresh Windows 8 - Create and Use Custom Recovery Image

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/52071-windows-surface-2-rt-8-1-a.html
Relevancy 44.72%

I have a Surface Pro 64GB, 64GB SDXC, and a 32GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive. I wiped out the recovery partition a long time ago. I have downloaded Windows 8.1 Enterprise using my MSDN subscription. How do I install Windows 8.1 using the ISO and the 32GB flash drive? I have run Rufus but the flash drive does not appear in the Device area. The ISO is on the SDXC drive and when I double click the ISO or try to mount it I get an error that says it cannot mount the file. My question is, how do I install Windows 8.1?

A:Install Windows 8.1 on Surface Pro from ISO - Please Help

Are booting the USB Pen Drive in UEFI mode?

UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) - Install Windows 8 with

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/32984-install-windows-8-1-surface-pro-iso-please-help.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Okay so I'm not a computer genius but I was on my tablet today and a window popped up telling me my computer was infected and I had to clean my system to continue So I went through the steps and thought I would be fine to go on But it keeps telling me to do the same thing like it's not working when I clean it out or something Idk Windows my RT? Virus Surface in I know it's hard to get a virus on these things because the virus would have to be made specifically for windows but I need help to remove it I've heard that these pop-ups are just bogus and to just ignore them but every time I try to get on the internet it tells me to clean my system to continue The detected items are quot Trojan-PSW Win launch quot quot HackTool Win Welevate A quot and quot Adware Win Fraud quot All of these day the alert level is critical and that they are active Help Virus in my Windows Surface RT?

A:Virus in my Windows Surface RT?

Erm... what exactly is it that's popping up? I 100% guarantee THAT'S the virus. It's telling you to remove "viruses" that don't exist and trying to get you to purchase the bogus anti-virus.

I'm not too familiar with Windows RT... so... I'm going to guess at what to do here and hope it's very similar to normal Windows 8.

Can you open up Task Manager to go to the Startup tab and see if any entries are suspicious looking? Also, in task manager, can you find the process that the fake AV is running and kill it?

http://www.techist.com/forums/f51/virus-my-windows-surface-rt-269888/
Relevancy 44.72%

I want to buy surface 3 and I don't want spend too much money, so I want to know is surface 3 with 2Gb RAM can handle newest Windows 10 ??? And also Surface 3 have function windows hello or it's only on surface pro 4 ?

A:Windows Surface 3 2Gb have enough RAM to run without lags ?

Windows Hello doesn't work on surface 3.
2GB ram will probably still work... my surface 3 is 4gb, but I feel glad I took the 4GB as it I use it up fast with lots of windows open. If you manage it, it'll probably be fine. The biggest problem of surface 3 is not the amount of ram but the slow ssd drive.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/438383-windows-surface-3-2gb-have-enough-ram-run-without-lags.html
Relevancy 44.72%

HI

I updated my microsoft Surface Pro 3 to Windows 10. Unfortunately a website I use for school is not compatible to Windows 10. I want to go back to Windows 8. When I went to do recovery where I can reset to factory settings it tells me to insert recovery disc or media. Unfortunately I don't have a CD drive on Surface so don't have any backup.

Any Suggestions?????

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/want-to-go-back-to-windows-8-on-surface-pro-3.1156738/
Relevancy 44.72%

Was just in a Microsoft store and was told that a new widows 10 update was coming that would allow the surface pen to work with any program including Google Docs. Has anyone else heard anything about this?
Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

A:surface pen/windows update

I think they gave you a load of BS. The pen sure works in "every app", but if the app doesn't care about ink then all it will do is act as a glorified pointer arrow. Microsoft can't "automatically" force Google Docs to be ink-compatible. If Google doesn't do it, then how would their Google Docs know "how" to store the ink markings? It's Google's job to update their app.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10/432467-surface-pen-windows-update.html
Relevancy 44.72%

I want to add shortcuts to my desktop to access websites. I have tried opening the website, and right clicking in a "blank area" as instructed; but I don't get the option to create a shortcut. Also, I have tried getting this website from
a functional tile for that website; doesn't seem to work. Can you help, please?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/811fcb80-2c36-4774-a4ac-58252dbb2f3d/surface-3windows-81ie11?forum=ieitprocurrentver
Relevancy 44.72%

Does anyone know if the rumours that Microsoft are releasing a new phone are true? And if so, when will be the official announcement?

A:New Windows (surface) Phone

Surface phone is never going to happen at least for now, as Microsoft has stepped out of mobile hardware business. which means neither will there be surface phone nor any other devices from Microsoft with windows phone. You might see new windows phones from OEMs regionally or globally.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/444447-new-windows-surface-phone.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Hello everyone,
I have a surface pro 3 running windows 10. I had an issue where the incorrect firmware was pushed to my device in an update, and I had to revert to an earlier build of win10. I bought the surface pro 4's type cover to use the fingerprint reader with my pro
3, and everything was working fine until I reverted builds. It has been some time since I actually rolled back, and I have installed a bunch of updates since then, so I would assume that my OS is current, but I don't see any of the Windows Hello sign on features
which the fingerprint option is a part of. What do I need to do to install the Windows Hello features?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/0dc65713-844c-4f10-91cd-69ecb9ed21f8/no-windows-hello-settings-on-surface-pro-3?forum=MTCWin8
Relevancy 44.29%

I downloaded the 'driver' on the gateway website http support gateway com support d amp uid after downloading amp Extracting the file a 'read-me' file pops up it reads Overview This document describes the steps necessary to install the Tablet PC button drivers for the notebook computer models listed in the Applicable Part Numbers section below Installation From the Start menu right-click Computer and then click Manage In the User Account Control dialog box click Continue In the left pane click Device Manager In Device Manager click the plus sign next to Human Interface Devices Click Tablet PC Buttons and then from the Action menu click Update Driver Software The Hardware Update Wizard displays Click Browse my computer for driver software In the Update Driver Software dialog box type or browse to the C Cabs D - - folder Click Next Open the D - - folder and confirm the selection of the qttabbtn inf file Click Open Follow all onscreen instructions to complete the installation I get stuck at step number I do not have a 'Tablet PC buttons' this is the reason why I need to download it it seems to me this 'driver download' is actually an update for the driver and not the the Buttons driver' Tablet need 'Tablet I Gateway PC, driver its self I downloaded other drivers from them for my computer and they all worked great they all had easy 'install' buttons but this one nooo it has some kind of step by step thing that doesn't work I talked to several tech people at gateway each one just sent me to Gateway Tablet PC, I need the 'Tablet Buttons driver' the same Gateway Tablet PC, I need the 'Tablet Buttons driver' page to download that same 'driver update' and then finally the last one I got my point across that THAT driver step by step does not work and they told me that the 'last option' is to send me to some tech support thing called 'answers' that you have to pay for a half hour of tech support I don't know about you but thats steep anyways I hope someone can help me -Brittni

A:Gateway Tablet PC, I need the 'Tablet Buttons driver'

Brittni-

After opening the qttabbtn.inf file (installation script), I found these alternative names for "Tablet PC Buttons." Try finding one of these names in the Device Manager:
"Quanta Computer Inc."

"Quanta Computer Tablet PC Buttons HID Driver"

http://www.vistax64.com/drivers/272984-gateway-tablet-pc-i-need-tablet-buttons-driver.html
Relevancy 44.29%

I'm a bit torn between the two as I have decided to upgrade my Surface Pro 3. Price is not an issue, so im just looking at specs. Surface Pro 4 Core i7 256 GB HD 16 GB RAM Surface Book Core i7 256 GB HD 8 GB RAM I loved my SP3 and getting a Pro 4 with double the RAM and faster processor sounds like a no brainer. But looking at the Book and getting the NVIDIA GPU sounds pretty awesome even if it's only 8 GB of RAM. I loved the portability of the SP3 and I feel the Book although it is portable won't be the same with the added keyboard it brings. Then again the Book keyboard would be better than the Touch keyboard I have now. Any opinions/suggestions would be helpful (:

A:Surface Pro 4 or Surface Book

Laptop that can double as a tablet or a tablet that can double as a laptop? You're probably going to keep the Book in laptop mode most of the time.
Also, I think, assuming you don't do crazy memory-intensive things, that adding discrete graphics is much more useful than extra RAM. I got myself a ThinkPad with a Core i7 (Pro 3 generation), 8 GB/256 GB and the only things I really think would be nice is more hard drive space and better graphics.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/general-tablet-laptop-discussion/419249-surface-pro-4-surface-book.html
Relevancy 44.29%

If you could get a refurbed Surface Pro (1) i5 , 64GB, 4GB ram for roughly the same price as a Surface 3, 64GB, 2GB ram, which would you get?
I want it for school and to replace my RT. The RT was enough for my needs and thought about upgrading to the Surface 3 on Black Friday, but came across a refurbed Surface Pro i5 with pen for about $400.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/general-tablet-laptop-discussion/393210-surface-3-refurbed-surface-pro-1-i5.html
Relevancy 44.29%

For developer (applications, outsource...) so which should buy surface pro 4 or surface book.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/435567-should-buy-surface-pro-4-surface-book.html
Relevancy 44.29%

Looking to buy a tablet device. I like the larger-ish screen kinda tablets. I'm torn between the Surface Book and the SP4 but now Lenovo came out with the ThinkPad X1 Tablet. I need some help!! please!!

A:Should I buy a Surface Book, Surface Pro 4, or something else entirely??

surface book ONLY if you want the dual GPU option..... also, battery life without the keyboard attached is "meh" at best.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/general-tablet-laptop-discussion/406725-should-i-buy-surface-book-surface-pro-4-something-else-entirely.html
Relevancy 44.29%

when I try to turn on sleep mode for my new surface book my screen does not go dark. I have another monitor running with it (a Samsung Ue590) and that remains on as well.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/437524-my-surface-book-not-going-sleep-i-have-windows-10-a.html
Relevancy 44.29%

My brother essentially wants one for his new RT 8.1 tablet. I have an Android version as I didn't go with a Surface device and he's got little access to the internet whereas I can, if possible, use my laptop and download an app from the Windows Store- I would just need to know how to save an installer. I've got a USB broadband modem, not a Wi-fi device.

So does anyone know of one, or have any experience using them for Windows RT?

http://www.eightforums.com/gaming/57363-looking-free-windows-surface-rt-gba-emulator.html
Relevancy 44.29%

I ran windows update troubleshooter and got 2 errors ..

Windows update component must be repaired and error 0x80070490.

I used all my data limit so it will be helpful if I can upgrade to windows 10 without have to download all over. Also I am a noob , so detailed instructions will be helpful.
Thanks.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/75582-windows-10-update-surface-3-stuck-99-a.html
Relevancy 44.29%

Hi there,

I got a Surface Pro last month. It had a 8GB partition for the system's default restoration which I transferred to an SD card before merging that space with my C: drive.

Considering the unreliability of SD cards and the fact that this will be pointless past June 30th because I won't be able to get updates if I install 8.1, I was looking into other alternatives. Although I did back my partition with Clonezilla after I was done installing everything, it would be nice to be able to do a fresh install if needed. Since I do own a Windows 8 license, I should be able to install Windows 8.1 from a disc (I have external DVD drive) using my key code that I discovered after running Belarc Advisor.

Anyone has any idea if this would work?

A:Do Windows 8 Licenses work the same way in a Surface Pro?

Hi there

If it's an RT system --then no. The newer surface pro's which are Windows will work exactly like windows --if you change the built in version that came with the device (you'll have to disable protected boot first) then a retail copy will install OK. Backup though just like you would a regular PC. It will also work just like a windows PC regarding updates etc.

For RT all bets are off - and that whole RT system doesn't actually look very long for this world either.

Cheers
jimbo

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-updates-activation/47678-do-windows-8-licenses-work-same-way-surface-pro.html
Relevancy 44.29%

I am trying to update windows 10 on my surface pro 4 but it just freezes at 8%. I have tried many things but nothing happens.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/437632-i-am-trying-update-windows-10-my-surface-pro-4-but-just-freezes.html
Relevancy 44.29%

My Windows Surface Pro 3 will not connect to Netflix through the browser and it will not open through the apps. I am not sure what is wrong with it. I used to be able to without any problems.. but now I can't. It is very frustrating!!

A:Windows Surface Pro 3 will not connect to Netflix

Thanks for letting us know. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-10/windows-surface-pro-3-will-not-connect-to-netflix-/720.html
Relevancy 44.29%

I ran windows update troubleshooter and got 2 errors ..

Windows update component must be repaired and error 0x80070490.

I used all my data limit so it will be helpful if I can upgrade to windows 10 without have to download all over. Also I am a noob , so detailed instructions will be helpful.
Thanks.

A:windows 10 update on surface 3 stuck at 99%

Hello ssps, and welcome to Eight Forums.

You might see if using OPTION THREE below to completely reset Windows Update may be able to help you with this.

Windows Update - Reset - Windows 7 Help Forums

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-updates-activation/75582-windows-10-update-surface-3-stuck-99-a.html
Relevancy 44.29%

Hi, I'm in the market to buy a Microsoft Surface and I noticed it says its running on Windows 8.1 RT. I was wondering if this was just a fancy name for the tablet version of Windows 8.1 on desktops/laptops or is it really that different?

I've searched around for info on the net but there seem to be mixed feelings about it, especially with it running Windows 8.1 RT. Can anyone tell me if its worth getting one? For the record, I have another tablet, a Samsung Galaxy Tab, which I use for personal stuff. The reason why I want to get a Microsoft Surface was because I noticed that it has MS Office on it, which I need for work. I don't like lugging around a laptop when I move from place to place, so the Microsoft Surface made sense to me since it would be easy to carry.

Any thoughts or suggestions? It would be much appreciated. Thanks!

A:Need info about Windows 8.1 RT (and Microsoft Surface)

Hello Teitoku, and welcome to Eight Forums.

Basically RT doesn't allow you to install desktop type programs. Instead, you will only be able to install modern Store apps.

If you wanted a full Windows 8.1, then you would want to get a Surface Pro model instead.

Here's a comparison chart of features between them to help.

Compare Windows 8.1 Editions

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/56373-need-info-about-windows-8-1-rt-microsoft-surface.html
Relevancy 44.29%

Windows 10 on my Surface is not functioning properly (blank screen). It give me a blank screen when I enter the password.

I have tried the reset option with the recovery key and, after I enter my recovery key, it asks for the password and then goes to again a blank screen.
what should I do? What are the other recovery options?
Regards

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/99e4af72-27cb-4e8a-9642-00aa248b0fdc/blank-screen-on-windows-10-on-surface-pro?forum=w8itprogeneral
Relevancy 44.29%

Hey all. I recently bought a Surface Pro 2. I later bought a Surface Arc Mouse. Long story short, I had to return my Surface. So, as of now I am on my laptop and I found out that it is not compatible with Windows 7...
I tried googling around and couldn't find anything. Am I stuck?

A:Any Arc Surface Mouse Drivers for Windows 7?

It works with Windows, the issue is the Surface Edition of the mouse doesn't come with the bluetooth dongle. Your computer either need bluetooth builtin or you'll have to get a bluetooth dongle.

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/314582-any-arc-surface-mouse-drivers-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 44.29%

My Dell is a 2 in 1 running the Windows Anniversary upgrade, i7 and I don't have the Ink program or app that came with the upgrade I put in the surface. How can I get it? When I upgraded the Surface 4 Pro it put the Ink Icon in the tray,it is no where to be found on my Dell and I would like it on that lap top also. Any ideas?

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/434484-windows-ink-workshop-surface-4-dell.html
Relevancy 44.29%

Each time i reconnect to the surface dock (with SP4) I need to reboot for it to switch to LAN rather than wifi. Has anyone else encountered this and is there a fix?

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/440405-surface-dock-issue-windows-au.html
Relevancy 44.29%

Let me start by saying I goofed My Surface Pro touchscreen was acting strange About of the left side of the screen would occasionally freak out it would show about - touches and swipes in that from top to bottom and then the touch screen revive windows my Can old licence on my I Surface Pro? wouldn't work till I turned the screen off then back on I tried to do a refresh and it told me that there were files missing but I have a windows Can I revive my old windows licence on my Surface Pro? disk and the Surface was upgraded to so that wouldn't work it kept saying the the media was invalid By this time I was frustrated and began a clean install of windows The problem that I have is that this copy Can I revive my old windows licence on my Surface Pro? of windows is in use on my desktop pc so I can't activate windows My question is what can I do now Can Microsoft help me get it back to the original cd key using the serial number I'd like to avoid having to purchase a cd key since I had it before I over wrote it Thank you in advance for your help Also if anyone has a resolution to the touchscreen issue I'd appreciate it

A:Can I revive my old windows licence on my Surface Pro?

The OEM key is embedded in the BIOS, Product Key - Find for Windows 8
What did your Surface come with Core or Pro? And what version did you install? If they match you can activate 8.1 with your 8.0 key. Activate retail Windows 8.1 with Windows 8 Product key.
If it came with Core and you installed Pro your OEM key will not work. You'll have to start over and install 8.1 Core with the generic key.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/56270-can-i-revive-my-old-windows-licence-my-surface-pro.html