Windows Support Forum

Power cord replacement

Q: Power cord replacement

I have a Dell Inspiron with an extended life battery that sticks out the back a little The power cord is dying - works intermittently I have a potential replacement cord that came with a different laptop I d like to use However I am uncertain if this may cause problems or even be unsafe First concern The current non-working power cord has a hexagonal cross-section male end that plugs into the laptop The replacement cord has the more typical round cylindrical end The replacement cord does fit in the laptop and it is not apparent physically that it is a problem Second Concern The current non-working hexagonal cord input matches the input on the replacement round cord as expected since they re U cord Power replacement S cords meant for U S power sources However the output is not Power cord replacement the same current non-working hexagonal cord output DC V A replacement round cord output DC V A Will the higher amperage of the replacement cord cause a problem especially a potential safety issue The laptop is left plugged in for long periods of Power cord replacement time unattended I d hate to start a fire Can someone with more electrical knowledge let me know if my concerns have merit or is my little but more than zero knowledge of electricity creating a concern where there should be none nbsp

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Power cord replacement

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Power cord replacement

gr7070 said:

First concern:
The current, non-working, power cord has a hexagonal (cross-section) male end that plugs into the laptop. The replacement cord has the more typical round (cylindrical) end. The replacement cord does fit in the laptop and it is not apparent, physically, that it is a problem.Click to expand...

If the cord will fit the plug without changing polarity, you don't have a problem there.

gr7070 said:

Second Concern:
The current, non-working (hexagonal), cord input matches the input on the replacement (round) cord, as expected since they're U.S. cords meant for U.S. power sources. However, the output is not the same.

current, non-working (hexagonal), cord output: DC 19.5V 3.34A
replacement (round) cord output: DC 19.5V 4.62A

Will the higher amperage of the replacement cord cause a problem, especially a potential safety issue? The laptop is left plugged in for long periods of time, unattended. I?d hate to start a fire.

Can someone with more electrical knowledge let me know if my concerns have merit or is my little, but more than zero, knowledge of electricity creating a concern where there should be none.Click to expand...

As long as you operate at the same voltage and supply enough current you will be fine. Same voltage as in DC or AC and the same number value for the amount of voltage.

Current values (3.34A) can be higher as long as the are not lower, your device will only draw the current it requires. If the device requires more current than is available, this is where problems start to arise.

I could go into more details but I will spare you the other un-known language. LOL

gr7070 said:

The laptop is left plugged in for long periods of time, unattended. I?d hate to start a fire.Click to expand...

I'm not going to tell you that it's not possible for it to start a fire but it's highly unlikely. The most common effect would be frying components on the inside of the power supply or PC. You might smell the components afterward but usually nothing more. As long as you stick with the same voltage and the same or more current, you shouldn't have any issues.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/power-cord-replacement.177463/
Relevancy 86%

I have a Samsung laptop, and not long ago I bought a replacement AC power adapter from Rocketfish. However, the adapter tip - the part that plugs into the laptop - accidentally broke off yesterday and now I need a new one. The adapter tip just snaps on and off from the power/adapter cable, and the package came with about ten alternate tips of varying sizes (none of which fit my laptop).

Can I get a replacement tip somewhere without having to replace the entire expensive adapter power cord? I would think someone would sell it, as it just easily snaps on and off. All the various online posts I've seen seem to suggest that I need a soldering kit and workshop to get it done. But if that's the case, why does it just snap on and off?

A:Replacement tip for AC power cord?

Did a quick Google search for "RocketFish tips" and apparently Belkin is a RocketFish partner and carries replacement tips: http://www.belkin.com/wizard/(S(iu1svhqthxhdqev3eu4jum45))/tip/Default.aspx?com=rf

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/replacement-tip-for-ac-power-cord.1065750/
Relevancy 84.71%

The figure eight keeps getting a looser and looser connection to the adapter. Not sure if it is the adpters or the figure eights. I have two of each and they are both doing the same thing. I have to wiggle them around for a while to try to get it to start charging. Anyone else have this problem? Can you please tell me if I just need a new figure eight? If so, what kind? Since it's out of warranty now, I am hoping that someone can help. (It's becoming a hair pulling situation :l sigh) Thanks so much!

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Series-Notebooks/power-cord-replacement-for-Yoga-2-Pro/td-p/3374384
Relevancy 83.85%

Hello
I recently misplaced my AC charger for my IBM Thinkpad T20 TYPE 2647(PentiumIII 700mhz 128mb ram 60g hd XP Home svc pack 2). After pricing new ones I looked to Ebay and found MANY with different specs than what is on my machine. The ID sticker shows the power requirements as 16v 3.36a. I viewed a few chargers advertising 16v 4.5a and assume they would not fry my power supply but am not sure. Any advice you can provide would be appreciated.
Thanks, Brad

A:Replacement Laptop AC charger/power cord

They should work fine. As long as the supply is capable of providing the rated current for your machine, any excess will simply not be used. The supply will only provide the power you require, up to it's maximum capacity.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/replacement-laptop-ac-charger-power-cord.496795/
Relevancy 83.85%

I just lost my adapter and power cord for my Folio 13t-1000.    Tried to order from HP parts but neither original 613149-001 nor replacement 693715-001 is available.   Have tried Amazon for 3rd party but reviews look sketchy.    Any insight on what will work and where to order it is appreciated.   I'm desperate.   

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Folio-13-replacement-adapter-and-power-cord/td-p/5851314
Relevancy 82.99%

I need a replacement power cord

A:Re: HP Laptop Power Cord Safety Recall and Replacement

Hi @Deejay011,Welcome to the HP Forums! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums, I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More. I have read your post and wanted to help. I understand that you need a power cord replacement. Please check this document for the power cord replacement:HP Notebook PC AC Power Cord Safety Recall and Replacement Program Thanks for being a part of the HP community. Please let me know if this helps resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution". If you require further assistance let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help. If you wish to say "thanks" for my effort to help, click the "thumbs up" to give me Kudos. Regards,

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Re-HP-Laptop-Power-Cord-Safety-Recall-and-Replacement/td-p/5733598
Relevancy 82.99%

Some power cords for HP and Compaq and mini notebook computers sold from September through June may be part of voluntary recall and replacement program launched on August nbsp The impacted power cords have the potential to overheat posing a fire and burn hazard nbsp To see if your cord may be affected look for a LS- marking molded into the connector that plugs into the AC adapter nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp If you see a LS- marking please go to nbsp http www hp com support PowerCordReplacement nbsp nbsp nbsp Please note that there are two parts needed to charge your laptop nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp Cord Safety Replacement Power Laptop Recall HP and nbsp nbsp nbsp The first part is the power cord that plugs into the wall nbsp Figure nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp The second part is the adapter Figure nbsp HP Laptop Power Cord Safety Recall and Replacement HP is ONLY recalling the power cord used with HP and Compaq notebooks and mini notebooks and accessories such as docking stations See Figure nbsp To qualify your power cord and request and replacement go here nbsp Since power cords for laptops are compatible you can use another power cord with your AC adapter until the replacement one arrives nbsp

A:HP Laptop Power Cord Safety Recall and Replacement

None of the links shown in your post are active. I have three HP notebook cordsets with the LS-15 Marking, and I don't have any other compatable cords at the moment since these are the first IEC 60320 C-5 (Mickey) cordsets we have. All the rest are IEC 60320 C-13 cordsets which seem to be more prevalant in the USA. What is the timeframe for getting the replacement cordsets and the links working? What is specific warning signs of possible trouble with the cordset?  

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/HP-Laptop-Power-Cord-Safety-Recall-and-Replacement/td-p/4393930
Relevancy 82.99%

Hy,
I check my laptop power card no in AC Power Cord Safety Recall and Replacement Program  and found my AC power card is eligible for replacement, But what about my Adapter, Due to power card fault my adapter get faulty, one day my adapter goes faulty by making small blast in it. So HP have to replace both AC power card as well as Power adapter. Yesterday  I got my AC power card only so please make replacement of Adapter also.

My order details given below:-
Order Number  [edited order number by moderator]
Order Date   08/31/2014
First Name:   RAVI  
Last Name:   [last name was edited by moderator]

A:HP Notebook PC AC Power Cord Safety Recall and Replacement P...

I just sent you a private message. If you are not sure how to check your forum messages, this post has instructions.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/HP-Notebook-PC-AC-Power-Cord-Safety-Recall-and-Replacement/td-p/4584242
Relevancy 61.92%

Sorry I don't know the proper terms, but basically the pin inside the jack where the power cord gets plugged into on my laptop was bent so that it's really hard for me to plug in my power cord and have it stay in place. My warranty with best buy has expired, so I need to figure out how to solve this problem on my own. I can't just leave it like this because the cord comes out really easily and I can't continue to work with such a tenuous setup. Anyway, is this just a matter of replacing the entire unit inside my laptop? I know you probably need more information, but I'm not sure what to provide, so please ask any questions. The laptop is a Toshia M-45, about 3-4 years old. Thanks in advance

A:Bent power supply pin - Hard to plug in power cord

umm.. bend it back so it's closer to normal? That's all I can say about it. usually works for me.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/bent-power-supply-pin-hard-to-plug-in-power-cord.820239/
Relevancy 61.92%

My g laptop is years old so probably time for a new one BUT I'd like to get some more life out of this if I could nbsp nbsp Currently I'm running only on battery power The G570 flashing when cord plugged... power button power power button upper left right above the F key is solid white however when I plug it in it'll start charging for about seconds and then it stops charging and the power button starts flashing white nbsp G570 power button flashing when power cord plugged... nbsp I've tried the shutting down taking out the battery and pressing the power button and also holding the button to discharge Still the same outcome nbsp I've also tried turning it on with the battery removed and just the AC G570 power button flashing when power cord plugged... power source and it turns out and makes it past the Lenovo splash screen but loses power before getting to the windows loading screen nbsp nbsp G570 power button flashing when power cord plugged... Any other suggestions Or should I just assume the charging circuit on the motherboard has failed and I should rescue my data while I can

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-B-and-G-Series-Notebooks/G570-power-button-flashing-when-power-cord-plugged-in/td-p/3439524
Relevancy 61.92%

The system's fan was very loud so I put in a new power supply and then everything booted up fine. Unfortunately, that didn't solve the problem. It was the Motherboard fan making all the noise.

So, I put the old power supply back in and now the system doesn't power up at all. I checked all connections & I replaced the power cord and tried a different electrical outlet.

I even put the new P/S back in and nothing changed. It still doesn't power up. It's dead!

Any suggestions?

A:My Dell Dimension 4550 won't power up. New P/S, power cord, etc. doesn't help.?

gbsdirect said:

It was the Motherboard fan making all the noiseClick to expand...

Do you mean the CPU fan ?
If so then I wonder if the CPU has been cooked

I would start by dispersing all internal voltage.
Detach the power cord
Press the power button in for 20 seconds
Re=attach the power cord
Try again

If it didn't fix then remove all addons, usb devices really anything attached (except screen and keyboard and power cord)
And try again

If it didn't fix then, confirm all internal connections are secure (even detach the dvd drive{s}

If it didn't fix then try disconnecting all fans (what !) for about 10 secs (turning on) I once had a fan of all things, that stopped my computer from turning on (unbelievable, I know)

Lastly, check the CPU for heat damage !

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-dell-dimension-4550-wont-power-up-new-p-s-power-cord-etc-doesnt-help.96398/
Relevancy 61.92%

Power light adjacent to power cord blinks white but laptop does not turn on! What is the solution to get my laptop to turn on?

A:Powerbook 450 G1 - Power light adjacent to power cord blinks...

Hi there, Please follow the instructions mentioned in the following document and check if this helps resolve the issue: http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=5405421&docId=emr_na-c03515402&docLocale... Hope this helps!

Although I am an HP Employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer ?Accept as Solution? if it solves your problem.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Powerbook-450-G1-Power-light-adjacent-to-power-cord-blinks/td-p/4779343
Relevancy 61.49%

On the power adapter for my new T460 the power cord only goes into the AC brick about 3/8" before it bottoms out.  Another 3/8" of the "skinny" part of the power cord plug is still outside the power brick. As a result, the power cord falls out of the brick at the slightest tug, pull or twist. I'm seriously afraid that one day I'll find I've lost the power cord half of the power supply. Why was the recessed part of the power brick made so shallow?  If the full 3/4" of the power adapter plug was allowed to be inserted into the power brick this problem would not happen. Anyone have a solution, other than buying a 3rd party power supply?

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/T460-power-cord-falling-out-of-power-brick/td-p/3435099
Relevancy 61.49%

I ask because I think that s what s behind my computer powering itself off from the main desktop today Order of events - Go to turn on my computer sees its not powering on after pressing the button - No problem this has happened before but not for a few months Reaches back and pushes the power cable back power cause to a power compter cord faulty a Can down at random? in move the wire a little until I can turn the PC on -Pc turns on Clicks the proper user desktop appears nothing unusual - Walks away for about ish seconds comes back to see the computer powered off with the monitor saying what it usually does when I manually power down the PC - I turn if back on and it s been working for the past hour Nothing in the event viewer no mini dumps Already set to not auto reboot on BSOD I just want to first see if the events that happened can possibly likely be the cause of said power cord before I go any deeper to figure out the cause of the reboot If there is anything you need to know or which I should check because it probably wasn t the power cord giving my PC the power it needs please don t hesitate to post nbsp

A:Can a faulty power cord cause a compter to power down at random?

If the desktop computer's power cord was conically loose, an electric spark between the power cord and the power supply, could have eventually damaged the power supply or even the motherboard...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-a-faulty-power-cord-cause-a-compter-to-power-down-at-random.205658/
Relevancy 61.49%

Emachine with XP Home - was running fine, but in the middle of copying a file got an error "Windows has encountered an error and will shut down."

The machine then refused to boot.

When I plug in the power cable, the PS boots without use of the power switch. No POST, no display, no error beeps. Power seems to be getting to the mobo and hard drive (LED activity), but nothing more.

What on earth could cause this? Where should I start troubleshooting?

Any help would be handsomely rewarded! :giddy:

A:Attaching power cord starts power without switch?

u unplugged the power and still nothing ? u could try clearing the cmos , if u cannot locate the jumper unplug the Power cord , open the side case up and then locate a watch battery remove it count to 30 and then replace the battery and then rehook power and see if it works that way .

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/attaching-power-cord-starts-power-without-switch.41055/
Relevancy 60.2%

Hello all nbsp nbsp This is an odd one I have a T s that I'm cleaning up for our company I discovered that it would power on fine when on battery without the power cord connected When the power cord is connected it won't come on at all I dug into the BIOS connected on power power ... cord without T430s won't and found a setting that had been disabled for it to power on with the power cord Don't know why the prior user would have it that way Now that I've changed that it powers on fine with the power cord connected but not when it's on battery The power cord is fine When I power it up it T430s won't power on without power cord connected ... shows it's charging the battery And I used two different power cords Also if I press the power button when the power cord is disconnected nothing happens but I plug the power cord in and it immediately boots as though something had been going on but I just couldn't see it And lastly even when this is supposedly completely and absolutely shut down the green light on the fingerprint scanner blinks slowly nbsp Does anyone have any thoughts on getting this to boot like a normal laptop and turning off that blinking light I'm sure that light isn't a huge power drain but I'm also sure it can't be normal for this to be on when it is supposedly shut down nbsp Many thanks

A:T430s won't power on without power cord connected ...

If you pull the power cord out while it is running, does it immediately die?  Are you sure the battery is good?  Is it a Lenovo or aftermarket battery?  I have seen aftermarket batteries act like they are good and charge, but really don't work.  As far as the fingerprint reader, go into the BIOS.  Under security/fingerprint, erase fingerprint data.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/T430s-won-t-power-on-without-power-cord-connected-but-battery-is/td-p/3369075
Relevancy 60.2%

I was happily using my laptop while it was plugged in. it suddenly said the computer wasn't plugged in. my cousin then jammed the wire in. im not sure if it's the power jack thats not working or the cord. i also need the files on my computer for a VERY IMPORTANT PROJECT and i need to retrieve them also please explain what to do as easily as possible as im only 13. my pc is a toshiba

A:Power cord or power jack failure

hi and welcome to TSG can you use your battery to power it untill you get what you need off.if you can get hold of another known good power supply for your make and model you can try it if that does not work then the problem is likely to be the jack point. i would not advise you to attempt the repair rather you took it for repair,laptops are a real devil to access and have many delicate parts which are easily broken even by the best

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/power-cord-or-power-jack-failure.834209/
Relevancy 58.05%

How come my think pad will not work unless it is plugged in? My screen goes blank

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-S-Series-ThinkPad-Yoga/power-cord/td-p/3461526
Relevancy 58.05%

Ok, I feel stupid, what with all the threads here dealing with CPU Processors and other high tech hardware...

I was wondering a few things.

Has anyone had a problem before where the connection to the power cord breaks? Causing the computer to read as though it wasn't plugged in? This is happening where the cord enters the Laptop.

I am wondering what the problem could be, the cord, or the laptop.

I am on a Sony VAIO.

Could anyone tell me if it is possible to fix said problem? Or where to buy a new one?

Is it supposed to be loose? If I jiggle it, the power cuts and it goes to battery life, so I figure it isn't supposed to be.
Any help would be most appreciated.

Relevancy 58.05%

I am having troubles with my power cord Here is what is wrong My computer switches to Battery Power instead of A C power While my computer is off it charges normally This means It detects my A C adapter which is working properly but simply prefers battery power while on Specifically once it reaches Power Cord the User Login Screen it switches to battery power What this problem is not This is not a problem with damaged cord or socket or wall socket This is not a matter of wiggling my cord to get it charging What I have tried I have tried a system restore I cannot find any preference of power Power Cord source Battery over A C in Start gt Control Panel gt Power Options I have tried running the computer without my battery inside it LOL WTF M I have tried unplugging the cord replugging it different wall sockets I assume this is just some setting which has been switched to favor battery power over A C power I am using an Administrator Account on Windows XP painfully polite nbsp

Relevancy 58.05%

hello,
I just bought two desktops from two people on craigslist and managed to mix up the power cords. There is a custom built computer with an Ultra X3 850Watts Modular power supply and a dell studio xps 7100. There was also a 24 in samsung monitor that needs a power cord but only two cords so I guess one cord is missing. There's a 10A 125v cord and a 150v cord. We also have a 300v cord laying around. Does anyone know which goes to which or if they would work. I have been searching for ages and can't find anything please help! I was so excited to use it!

Relevancy 58.05%

I have these power cords that I can not identify. If someone could please help me out to determine what these cords are and what they are used for. The one end is just like the end that goes into the back of the monitor or power supply in a PC. However, the other end has 2 prongs that are just round. If they were flat, it would fit into a normal outlet. Please let me know what you find out. I have tried looking but to no avail.

Thanx in advance.

Chris

Relevancy 58.05%

The power cord overheats and smells like it is burning. It is often too hot to touch. Worst of all, the grounding third prong fell off from normal wear and tear and the tip that goes into the laptop bent. This product should have been recalled. I would not recommend it to anyone and I would like to get it replaced.

A:LS-034 Power Cord

@MCamm

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/LS-034-Power-Cord/td-p/5847755
Relevancy 57.19%

when i unplug the power cord from the computer it has a greenish looking liquid on it every time and i took battery out and nothing on it its just coming from the cord area any ideas on whats going on?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/problem-with-power-cord/td-p/5676574
Relevancy 57.19%

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this, and if it isn't please notify me.
I have an old toshiba Laptop computer and i sent it to an IT guy for rebooting, and it came back with the power cord input broken.
The problem with it is that there is a certain spot (a big one) where if the power cord touches it loses the connection with the input. I think may be because the guy accidentally bent it.
Could someone please tell me if this is fixable, and how much it would cost with geek squad/local IT guy?

Relevancy 57.19%

I PURCHASED THIS LAPTOP FOR ITS SMALL SIZE AND WEIGHT.  NOW I FIND OUT THAT I'LL NEED TO CARRY THE ENTIRE LENGHT OF THE POWER CABLE WHERE EVER I TRAVEL.  nO POWER ADAPTER FOR WHILE YOU ARE IN YOUR CAR.  IF I NEED TO HAVE THIS CORD WITH ME WHERE EVER I GO WHY MAKE A COMPUTER SMALL AND LIGHT?  I WOULD THINK THAT A COMPANY LIKE HP COULD DEVELOPE A CHARGING CABLE THAT IS LIGHTER THAN THEIR COMPUTER!  AM I MISSING SOMETHING?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/power-cord-for-Spectre/td-p/5640076
Relevancy 57.19%

OK, I boot up in normal mode, i have my a/c power cord in, 5min later my screen shuts off, but i can still see my power light on and hear humming inside. Its a gateway.

A:A/C Power Cord Problem

Is this a desktop, or a laptop. Model# might help also. It could be as simple as your monitor is set to shut off after 5 min. of idle time???? That you would find in control panel, power options.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/a-c-power-cord-problem.775085/
Relevancy 57.19%

Hi everyone,

Im new to this site and I have a question. I have a Toshiba satellite A75 series. I know that it does over heat and it shuts off from time to time. I had to recently replace the power cord and the computer can run the internet fine but when I try to play world of warcraft it shuts off. All of the sudden it can not run wow and im just wondering if anyone has any idea why that might be.

Thanks

A:Overheating, new power cord

A laptop has AC adapters, these adapters have power cords... I would say that is time to have it serviced. the cooling fans and fin assemblies may be clogged with dust and other debris... like cat hair

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/overheating-new-power-cord.123702/
Relevancy 57.19%

I accidentally swapped my monitors 125v cord with my pcs 250v cord for a short period of time. They are now inserted where they should be. But could any negative effects to equipment be produced by this error?

A:Power Cord Question

depends on the situation. If they are both IEC cables and appear identical there should be no side effects provided you are supplying them the correct voltage. However, if the cables have transformers on them, you are going to damage the monitor if you put 125v into it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/power-cord-question.83029/
Relevancy 57.19%

Hi... Can anyone tel the cost of a Power cord...

A:Power cord cost

The cost is very minimal if you are talking about the power cord from the walll to the PC. In fact, if you stop by a reputable computer shop, they might donate one to you since most shops have a bunch just lying around collecting dust.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/power-cord-cost-439690.html
Relevancy 57.19%

My girlfriend has been bedridden due to an operation. I put my laptop on the bed so she can use it when I get up and put it in the case at night. I leave the power cord plugged into the wall all night but no PC plugged into it. There is a light on all the time on the rectangular thingy on the cord. Is it bad to leave the power cord plugged in all the time? Thanks,

A:Laptop Power Cord

No, but i'd rather keep the adapter cool.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/358558-laptop-power-cord.html
Relevancy 57.19%

The power cord (wall to adapter) that came with this computer is really short (3'), and I would like a longer one. I have found one online (Startech PXT101NB3S) that looks the same; however it says it is type IEC 60320. I looked up the Volex VAC5S that came with the computer and it says it is type IEC 60320-1. Are IEC 60320 and IEC 60320-1 compatible?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/power-cord-compatibility/td-p/5731213
Relevancy 57.19%

I can't find one anywhere.

Any ideas?

Relevancy 57.19%

my 8600GT hasn no power in? but i got a PSU with PCI-E power cos i thought i had too....
does this mean that this card doesnt need it?

thanks

A:PCI-E - power cord but no socket?

Correct. That particular card does not need any additional power connections. It draws all it needs through the PCI-E slot on the motherboard.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/pci-e-power-cord-but-no-socket.692210/
Relevancy 57.19%

I really need a power cord for a Linksys model BEFSR and or Linksys model BEFSR and there both v as far as i know donsnt actualy say it picture link below to what the power cord slot looks light http media onsugar com files ons image jpg http salestores com stores images images BEFSR jpg I have been searching and searching for this type of Cord Power Help PLEASE! Linksys power cord did they do away with them does anyone know anywhere i could fine to order them Linksys Power Cord Help PLEASE! I don t know what type of power input or anything either according to a lot of what Ive been looking up they say the v should have the circle one pin cord type it obviously Linksys Power Cord Help PLEASE! isn t that for sure If i had money to go buy a router i wouldn t even bother but i don t plus the Linksys Power Cord Help PLEASE! fact that i have two perfectly good seem to be good condition sitting here so anyone knows please help also is there suppose to be a installation cd or anything or is this probably not even worth my time Any input is much appreciated thanks for your time nbsp

A:Linksys Power Cord Help PLEASE!

found some more info in another blog it says something about "Switching Adaptor Model: DSA-0301-05" and i found one but not 100% sure and its a lil pricy...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/linksys-power-cord-help-please.1010486/
Relevancy 57.19%

Can a power cord for Dell Inspiron 7737 be used on a Dell Latitude 5430?

A:power cord compatibility

I would say if it is a Genuine dell charger and the connector fits the port than yes they all are about 19 volts i beleave.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19981418
Relevancy 57.19%

When I was  getting on my computer today the chord started sparking. I had been notified about the recall but my cord didnt have the same number as the recalled one. Can I still get a replacement? The hp part number is 608425-003.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Power-cord-sparking/td-p/5615861
Relevancy 57.19%

Do you know where to get a replacement power cords (box) for this computer? Any websites? 

A:Power cord box thing

Dmercado wrote:Do you know where to get a replacement power cords (box) for this computer? Any websites?   In order to help you further, could you please provide us with more information about your computer?Please post the specific model number or the P/N (Product Number) for your computer. Instructions for finding your HP P/N are here. This will help us identify correct parts for your specific model.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Software-and-How-To-Questions/Power-cord-box-thing/td-p/5607528
Relevancy 57.19%

Received this warning this AM for the LS-15 cord:
https://h30652.www3.hp.com/?jumpid=e...=|295740|18882

A:HP Power Cord Recall

Hewlett-Packard Recalls Notebook Computer AC Power Cords Due to Fire and Burn Hazards | CPSC.gov

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/54383-hp-power-cord-recall.html
Relevancy 57.19%

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this. I just received my new HP computer today. The only problem with it is the wrong power cord. The adapter (brick like thing) plugs into the computer correctly, however the power cord from the adapter to the wall outlet is the wrong one (adapter has a 3-blade type configuration, the power cord is for 3 round type configuration). I have a power cord for a AOC monitor that would fit the adapter and was wondering if there would be any problem using this on until I get the replacement from HP. Thanks for any help.

A:Power cord question

Does it look like one of these ? .... maybe take a picture with your mobile phone or digital camera and upload the pic here to show us what you have pal

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/201099-power-cord-question.html
Relevancy 57.19%

My laptop does not start up any more.

The battery might be broken, but also with/wihout inserted battery, the laptop does start when powered by the regular 220V power cable.

What does this siound like?

A great many thanks in advance.

Relevancy 57.19%

When I plug my computer in to charge it turns my computer off! If I'm using my computer without the power cord it works fine please help me figure this out!!!

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Power-cord-issue/td-p/5710924
Relevancy 57.19%

I was given an old computer with monitor, keyboard, mouse and speakers. But when I got it home and tried to set it up, it didn't have the power cord that goes from the main speaker to the wall outlet. I cannot find one on the net but I did locate one, I think, at the Sony site but they wanted over $30 for it. This cable has to have a little round plug with a hole in it at one end and a regular plug for the wall at the other end. The pc is a Sony PCV-RX755 and the speaker model # is KPCVA-SP3. Does anyone know where I can get a cord for the speakers or will other cords work, like ones for cell phone chargers, if I can find one that will fit into the speaker?

Thanks, lil ole granny

A:need speaker power cord

On the speaker unit itself does it indicate what voltage, amperage, polarity is needed?
Armed with this information you can go and find a replacement power adapter.
Output Voltage would probably be in the range 9v to 12v.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-speaker-power-cord.831658/
Relevancy 57.19%

Does anyone living in Korea know where I can buy Schuko to IEC-60320 cords for my computers? I forgot to buy the cords in America even though I kept on reminding myself to buy it. Will I have to find a online retailer that ships internationally? Or will I have to search around in the streets of Seoul to find someone in the streets selling them? I know where to get adapters but I know that buying an actual cord is better since adapters can fail more easily than the cord itself. I know that there is a giant building dedicated to selling electronics in Downtown but I am not sure if they have the cord since I have been there multiple times but I never saw a floor for electronic components.

A:Where to buy PC power cord in Korea

Hi there

Can't remember if S.Korea uses 220 V or not but if it uses European system these should work.

Convert Schuko Plug Male to IEC 60320 C5 Connector Female 2.5 Amp 250 Volt - Our Item #: 1603, Category: Euro Grounded Block Style Plug Adapters : StayOnline

I know you don't like adapters but these work very well indeed - so I don't think you need worry on that score -- actually the Mains itself in the USA is a lot more unreliable than one would expect from a ist world country -- due a lot though to huge areas for transmission lines, unpredictable and severe climate in parts causing havoc with the transmission lines-- and having that rather inefficient 110 V domestic AC voltage (Ever tried to boil a kettle in USA for a cup of tea !! -- you need a wacking 30 Amp circuit because of the lower voltage (Ohm's law !!!). Airco also needs much larger amperages than Europe. (P in Watts = I * V where I in amps and V in Volts -- so a 3KW kettle in the USA would need 3000/110 = approx. 30 AMPS !!!!. Nice thick fuse. !!!! Next time you are in the USA ask yourself why you don't see many electric kettles around !!.

Cheers
jimbo

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/339199-where-buy-pc-power-cord-korea.html
Relevancy 57.19%

I have moved to Italy with my desktop HP p6230F.  I need a power cord, but I am having a problem locating it at a local store.  On Amazaon.it, there is a power cord sold by HP with a part number HP 8121-0731.  Unfortunately, the picture does not show an image of the end that plugs into the computer--it only shows the end that plugs into the wall, which is what I need.  I checked at least 20 websites from at least 7 different countries, and all of them are showing the same picture.If you google HP 8121-0731 on either amazon.com or amazon.it, it shows the picture that I am referring to.  The question is:  Is this the correct power cord for my desktop? Grazie.

A:power cord for HP Pavilion

Hi: Here is a complete picture of the power cord...it is the correct one for your model. 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/power-cord-for-HP-Pavilion/td-p/5628420
Relevancy 57.19%

I have about fifty power cords with different rated wattages. None of them are the same.
Is there any way to find a comparable cord and charger? For example I have one made by Nokia that is 120 volt, 60 Hz, 50 mA. What is the range of acceptable alternatives.?
Thanks
Fred

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/power-cord-and-charger.560382/
Relevancy 57.19%

Have a generic computer, model sp15-uma. Lost power cord. Input/dc 19v 3.42 amp. 65 watt
will it hurt to use a 90 watt universal charger

Relevancy 57.19%

I am wanting to install another HDD and possible a 3rd in my computer. Each dedicated to movies, pics, etc...
If i use one power cord will that work and if so should i be concerned with overall power supply?

Windows 7
MSI z87 g55 Mobo.

Through my mobo i can disable the other drives from booting and still use them for storage correct?

A:Connecting 2 HDD's onto same power cord.

I suppose you could get really crazy and overload the psu with too many drives but, for the most part, you can use splitters to be able to supply power to additional drives.

You can specify which drive is the boot drive so, yes, you can use the other drives for storage. It's best though to format those drives to remove the old OS and claim it's drive space in order to increase available storage space.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/346609-connecting-2-hdds-onto-same-power-cord.html
Relevancy 57.19%

I have a Dell all in one that is about 4 years old.  The other day I started it up and used it for a little bit.  I left to go eat and when I returned the computer was off.  I tried to push the power supply, check the power strip and made sure everything was plugged in correctly.  No change.  I did notice that the blue light ring around the power cord was off, so I unplugged it from the computer and the power strip.  Plugged it back into the power strip and the light came on.  Fantastic, until I plugged it back into the computer where it went out.  I tried other power cords (same size etc) and they would also have the light go off when plugged into the computer.  What can I do to get this fixed?

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19983284
Relevancy 57.19%

I have a Dell Dimension 3000 and I am upgrading the RAM therefore I need to disconnect all the power cords from the computer. They all pull out easily except for the one for the monitor. What am I doing wrong?

A:Monitor Power Cord

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

The cord that goes from your monitor to your video card is the only one you should be concerned with removing.

There are two thumb screws which are on either side of the plug, that you have to unscrew from the VGA port.

If you are trying to pull the cord from the back of the monitor, there is no need to do this and in most cases this cord is hard-wired into the monitor.

If you need more information please let me know, I can post a picture of the VGA plug, showing the thumb screws if needed.

Bruce.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/345556/monitor-power-cord/
Relevancy 57.19%

I'm in the process of trying to figure out what is going on with my friends computer. At his house he has a Hp monitor vga cord plugged into an dvi adaptor, well it wasn't reading the monitor any more and the power wasn't staying on. I brought it to my house and plugged in my dell dvi montior and plugged my power cord into the back and everything works fine. Is it possible that he needs a new universal power cord? I'm not sure about the mointor, I was going to the extra vga and dvi adaptor that I have.

A:VGA / DVI Adaptor and Power Cord

You know the problem isn't with the computer. That means the problem is with the adapter, the cable, or the monitor. Start swapping out one piece at a time.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vga-dvi-adaptor-and-power-cord.1021231/
Relevancy 57.19%

Pertains to printer power cords.
http://h30022.www3.hp.com/home1/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/fyi-hp-power-cord-recall.72150/
Relevancy 57.19%

Can I purchase a power cord for a all in one comp. Model # 23H024 from you people if so how much and how long will it take to get it. I use my comp for work someone took my power cord and I'm doing a job with a deadline answer needed at once thank you

A:I need a power cord to a hp all in one computer

Hello @Lyndaprater,Welcome to the HP Forums! I read your post on the HP Support Forums and wanted to reach out to you. I understand you are looking for a replacement cord for your Pavilion 23-h024 TouchSmart Desktop system. Direct part ordering from HP can be done through HP PartSurfer. Once you enter your product number, it should list all of the compatible parts for your system. If you require further assistance let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help. To simply say thanks, click the Thumbs up below!  Thanks!

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/I-need-a-power-cord-to-a-hp-all-in-one-computer/td-p/5656914
Relevancy 57.19%

Received this warning this AM for the LS-15 cord:
https://h30652.www3.hp.com/?jumpid=e...=|295740|18882

A:HP Power Cord Recall

Was posted in the news section already,

HP Laptop Power Cord Safety Recall and Replacement

Probably a good idea to post it here as well.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/346761-hp-power-cord-recall.html
Relevancy 56.76%

I have 2 printers, both HP. HP J4580, which I am 'uninstalling', and an HP C7280 which I am 'installing'. My question is: Can I use the 4580 power cord for the 7280 or must I use the cord that came with the 7280??? Thanks for any help

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Basic, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6550 @ 2.33GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 11
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 2036 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family, 320 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 152530 MB, Free - 76686 MB;
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0RN474
Antivirus: Norton AntiVirus, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

Relevancy 56.76%

I have a Pavilion DV7 that won't powr up. Everything else is fine including the power light on the laptop from mains power.
I think it may be a battery broblem.  Yes?

A:pavilion dv7 won't power up with/without battery or ac cord

If it does not power with the battery removed and AC plugged in then it is either the AC adapter not putting out enough current, the AC power jack module or something worse like the motherboard. 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/pavilion-dv7-won-t-power-up-with-without-battery-or-ac-cord/td-p/5623314
Relevancy 56.76%

Recently I have bought a V7 series notebook, but just found out in the battery management it shows the battery not charged status. More importantly it shut down when the cord is unplugged even it has 88% charged shown. Please, can any advise what is wrong with my computer, thanks.

A:V7-592G not charge and cannot power on when cord i...

Hi Terrylcy14,

Unfortunately, I'm not sure there is a lot of troubleshooting that can be done. I suspect that there is an issue with the battery, or at least a connection to it, and our service team can assist with that. I'd recommend reaching out to them when you have the opportunity.

Thanks,Cory

http://community.acer.com/t5/V-and-VN-Series-Laptops/V7-592G-not-charge-and-cannot-power-on-when-cord-is-not/td-p/426548/jump-to/first-unread-message
Relevancy 56.76%

I have an HP Compaq 6515b laptop that if the power cord is plugged into it, I will not get a display. I guess it IS booting up, but I see nothing. I have to unplug the cord from my system, hit the on button and then I can plugged the cord in right away and it will boot up. (The power cord doesn't have to be plugged in, but if it is it won't show a display) It is also running pretty slow booting up.....I run Avast and nothing shows up....just tracking cookies.

Nothing is really urgent per se, but the speed would be nice to fix....maybe they are all related I don't know?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wont-boot-with-power-cord-plugged-in.694444/
Relevancy 56.76%

Good morning My computer do not started from the power button then i take off the power jack and put it on again to pc and began to operate motherboard green light on case fans spin and cpu fan spin for three seconds and then nothing and front power button still nothing then i made a full cleaning tower connectors cables ram fans cpu i try different ram slots i put other ram i try with an other psu i change the cmos battery i reset cmos from motherboard pins and after all those still the same problem i notice that when plug the power on if i press continuously the mem OK button power try only and from to start and Pc cord fail to motherboard the cpu the motherboard Pc try to start and fail and only from power cord and the fans run all the time and when i pull my finger from the button mem ok then still the same green light to motherboard but nothing when Pc try to start and fail and only from power cord i put the power button any suggestions to help motherboard m a t-m ASUS cpu AMD Athlon II X GB DDR nbsp

A:Pc try to start and fail and only from power cord

Hi and welcome to TSG.

My first thoughts, based on your description, would be probably PSU or Motherboard problem.

What is the make, model, wattage and approximate age of the original PSU?

The other PSU you tested with, do you know 100% that it is in good working order? (i.e. did you pull it from a known working machine)? What make, model and wattage is it?

I assume the machine worked fine previously?

Have you done anything to it (hardware change / upgrade, software changes) before the problem started?

What are the rest of your system specs? GPU make and model etc?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/pc-try-to-start-and-fail-and-only-from-power-cord.1138130/
Relevancy 56.76%

My best friend lost her power cord and her usb attachment cord to her new scanner. I am wondering if I can give her the power cord from my old scanner instead of her trying to find a new one to buy. Is there a standard step down for most scanners or could it be different and fry her new scanner ? Hers is an HP and my old one was a Umax . Thank you for any advice .

A:power adapter cord for scanner

You may fry the scanner. I suggest going to
http://h20141.www2.hp.com/hpparts/S...DC7&SearchId=82624&Level=2&LevelDesc=Scanners

and buying a replacement power cable.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/power-adapter-cord-for-scanner.271207/
Relevancy 56.76%

Spectre won't power up... seems the cord has a loose or broken connection near the plug, as it intermittently works if I press hard in that area.   Laptop 4 months old.    Does warrenty cover this?  Who would I contact to get a new one mailed asap?  

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Power-cord-is-not-working-for-my-notebook/td-p/5793063
Relevancy 56.76%
Relevancy 56.76%

My laptop cord power source started making this ticking sound whenever it was plugged in. After I finally found out what the ticking was, my laptop now won't turn on. The ticking sound is very strange and it is coming from the box type part on the power cord. I need help!

A:Laptop power cord failure?

HI ChaKarlMalone, and welcome to TSG.

That box type part is part is probably a power supply that converts the high voltage AC mains power to the low voltage DC power needed by your laptop. Is this the power supply that originally came with your laptop?

The ticking noise may be a circuit breaker that is tripping and resetting due to an overload. The overload may be inside the power supply or inside the laptop. The easiest way to figure that out would be to test the laptop with another known good and compatible power supply.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-power-cord-failure.986141/
Relevancy 56.76%

I got this laptop for christmas, and the power cord is already having problems. If I bump it, it looses its connection. I tried wiggling it, and I noticed that when I move it a bit toward me, it looses connection, but if I move it away from me it works. I have not abused it in any way (no yanking it out, tripping over it, or twisting it). What could be the problem? This was a refurbished unit, and the warranty is only good if the unit won't turn on at all.

Relevancy 56.76%

i got xp pro sp3.. when i run my laptop on battery it doesnt overheat. but when i connect my power cord, it overheats.. i tried 2 other powercords and thats not the culprit. it there a way to make the laptop stay the same temperature as when its on battery?

A:Laptop Overheats w/ Power Cord - HELP

When on battery power, the typical power profile is set up to run the laptop at lower performance compared to mains power (to maximise battery life), which means less heat is generated.

On mains power, everything is ramped up to give maximum performance = more heat.

So check that all the ventilation slots are clear of fluff and dust build-up. If that doesn't help there may be an internal build-up of fluff.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-overheats-w-power-cord-help.1080866/
Relevancy 56.76%

I have bought a HP 27vc 27-inch IPS LED Backlit Monitor and have misplaced the DC power cord while moving. I cant seem to find the specific specs on where to buy a similiar cord. I know the voltage is  DC19V and 2.63Amps, but see that many different DC power cords have different diameters. What specific model of DC power cord is needed for my specific external monitor?Manufactured: AUG 2015Product No: P1B75AA  

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Video-Display-and-Touch/Lost-my-DC-Power-Cord-cant-determine-which-one-to-buy/td-p/5745544
Relevancy 56.76%

ok last year in september i got a laptop, windows vista and whenever i have the power cord in while im using within like 10mins of using it the screen goes blank but the computer stays on. when i run it in safe mode while the cord is plugged in no problems, can anyone help

A:Power cord/ battery problem

Computer make and model?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/power-cord-battery-problem.763139/
Relevancy 56.76%

Sorry if I am a little vague with the details, but I'm not totally computer literate...
Anyway, I was using my Toshiba laptop, it's relatively old, and all of a sudden the power cord stopped supplying power. Everything was plugged in correctly and the outlet on the wall was working. My laptops battery only lasts like 10 seconds without a power supply, so it turned off relatively soon after that, and without power will no longer turn on.
I checked to see if the cords wall plug or the box (this thing) was the problem, but they worked fine with another computer.
I was wondering if the problem could be my laptops outlet or the part that connects the cord to the computer, and if there is any way to fix it / or if the problem could be fixed by replacing the cord.
Thanks c:

A:Laptop power cord fail

I would check to see if the connector on the back of the laptop is loose. The power adapter should plug into it and not move around very much. If it does, the power connector may be broken loose from the laptop motherboard.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-power-cord-fail.879989/
Relevancy 56.76%

A friend dropped it off the other day asking me to see if it worked. After looking it over for several minutes, I noticed no power cord. I tried googling to see if I could get more info but came up blank.
Its a Polaroid, model # FLM-2017
Pictures are attached

This one shows the pc/cable/power. If somebody can help me find out the cost of a power cord, I'd appreciate it.
If not, I'm taking the speakers out of it for use elsewhere. Thank you.

A:Polaroid monitor no power cord

http://compare.ebay.com/like/221130123197?_lwgsi=y&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar
GOOD LUCK.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/polaroid-monitor-no-power-cord.189871/
Relevancy 56.76%

ok i have an ultra x connect 500 watt power supply and it has a 20 pin motherboard power cord..... i just realized my DFI LANPARTY nf4 ultra-D mobo has a 24 pin power connector. i have heard ppl say that a 20 pin connector will work with a 24 is that true?

thanx

A:does a 20 pin power cord still work with a 24 pin mobo

It might. My 24 pin MSI motherboard will accept a 20 pin power supply although you need to know which end of the connector to line up. Check the manufacturer's website if you don't have your motherboard's manual.

That said, you could also use a 20 pin to 24 pin adapter. About $4.00 or so.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/does-a-20-pin-power-cord-still-work-with-a-24-pin-mobo.30785/
Relevancy 56.76%

OKIE DOKIE tx1000z

Ok so I bought a tx1000z the first week it was out which was like almost a year ago. I broke the power cord to it a few weeks ago and just got a new one today. However when I plugged it in the little blue light where u plug it in didn't turn on and it wont turn on either... When I first broke the cord I did attempt to fix it but stripping the wires and connecting them again that way which didn't work so IDK if that did something or what but I need help!!! And I did check the new power cord it is compatible with the laptop

A:HP tx1000z power cord problem

Oh a HP Pavilion tx1000z laptop
The exact last word of your post helped there.

When I first broke the cord I did attempt to fix itClick to expand...

The problem with broken cords, is that you can basically short active to neutral (let alone the safety issue)
This may have caused internal fault to the main board.

Try removing the battery and power adaptor, holding in the ON button for 30secs (to disperse all internal voltage)
Then plug the adaptor (the new one) in only
Then turn it on

If it doesn't turn on
Confirm that you do have the correct power adaptor rating
And then check your hardware warranty on the laptop !

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-tx1000z-power-cord-problem.102887/
Relevancy 56.76%

Let's say I have an applicance like a computer Power Supply Cord Substitutes? speaker microwave or vacuum cleaner and Power Supply Cord Substitutes? one of the power cords for those items stopped working or I couldn't Power Supply Cord Substitutes? find them and I believe I have other power Power Supply Cord Substitutes? cords in the house that are OF THE SAME TYPE How do I confirm if I have another cord that is of the same kind I can confirm a USB cord Ethernet cord coaxial cable etc But how do I find out if two power cords are the same I recently found out a wireless phone charger was the same as the charging cable for my game boy color and my Original Xbox Wireless Adapter charging cable was the same as the charging cable for my PSP etc However with the cell phone and the game boy I just quot went and did it quot and it happened to work But I didn't attempt the Xbox adapter cable and the PSP but the ports looked the same I don't want to keep doing this to everything since I risk damaging something on the inside and on the out Is there something I can reference to tell me power cord A functions the same way as power cord B I guess it's the writings on the plug that goes to the wall but what do I refer to on those writings that tell me two power supplies are the same Also half of them don't have fat power plugs with a lot of writing on them actually they have no writing Actually I think the ones that have to writing are then not power adapters and are attached to the device and is not seperable right I went on a forum once and read something saying as long as the power adapter provides the minimum voltage and has the right plug some are so similar and barely fit kind of hard to tell if a cord is fully compatible with a device for this reason but I did read something about there being a power cord jack that was quot positive inside and negative outside quot for a Linksys router or something like that Does any of this info ring a bell I'm really obsessed with not messing up by electronic devices by putting in wrong cables and power supplies I once inserted my PS 's RCA plugs into the back of my mm computer speakers and something went wrong

A:Power Supply Cord Substitutes?

Quote: Originally Posted by Wandering Flame

How do I confirm if I have another cord that is of the same kind?

I don't know about others, but I find looking at it is the best way.

But how do I find out if two power cords are the same?

Again, that great gift of vision.

However, with the cell phone and the game boy, I just "went and did it" and it happened to work.

If the input and output wattages and what not are the same on the actual plugs, it probably will, and even if not, it may still work, but the question is, for how long?

I don't want to keep doing this to everything since I risk damaging something, on the inside and on the out.

I'm all for cable management, but you have to draw the line somewhere, so stop doing it, as you don't sound like you've got the best aptitude to be trying it.

Is there something I can reference to tell me power cord A functions the same way as power cord B?

If cable A has 3 different coloured wires running through it, and cable B doesn't with thinner wiring, then that's a clue, if cable C has the same coloured wires and same thickness as cable A, then you've found a match.

I guess it's the writings on the plug that goes to the wall...but what do I refer to on those writings that tell me two power supplies are the same?

If it says the same on both, then you've got a pair, if it doesn't, then they're not the same.

I'm really obsessed with not messing up by electronic devices by putting in wrong cables and power supplies

Then use the cables supplied with whatever devices you have. If you've got limited sockets in your house, buy one, or a few of THESE

I once inserted my PS2's RCA plugs into the back of my 3.5mm computer speakers...and something went wrong.

That will happen, when you don't know what you're doing.

Can I ask why you would want to be chopping and bodging the wiring of things that don't need it in the first place?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/66505-power-supply-cord-substitutes.html
Relevancy 56.76%

i have a hp g72 series computer that will only charge while the computeris on is if i only plug the power cord in less than halfway any ideas how to correct this issue

A:ac power cord will only charge when its only plugged in less...

Hi!, @tammieh: Welcome, to Forum !. Requirements for all countries or regions:The requirements, listed below, are applicable, to all countries or, regions:? The length  of the power cord set  must be at least 1.5m.  (5.0  ft)  and  no more, than 2.0 m (6.5 ft).? All power cord sets must be approved  by an acceptable accredited agency  responsible for evaluation in the  country or region where the power cord set will be used.? The power cord sets must have a minimum current capacity of 10 amps and a nominal voltage rating of 125 or  250 V AC, as required  by  each country or  region?s power system.? The appliance coupler must meet the mechanical configuration of an EN 60 320/IEC 320 Standard Sheet C13  connector for mating with the appliance inlet on the back of the computer.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/ac-power-cord-will-only-charge-when-its-only-plugged-in-less/td-p/5603384
Relevancy 56.76%

I was given an HP flat screen Monitor yesterday with just the cord like this http://www.pcsrvc.com/usermanual/Image35.gif not THE exact PICTURE.

Amongst the other items was a power cord AC/DC Apapter that I've ONLY seen used on laptops.
MODEL ADPC1260AB
S/N 1260AE60405370

My tower is HP & I did plug it in as is BUT NOTHING. My question is,is the cord I got the power cord? TIA.

A:Questions about a monitor power cord

learninmypc said:

I was given an HP flat screen Monitor yesterday with just the cord like this http://www.pcsrvc.com/usermanual/Image35.gif not THE exact PICTURE.

Amongst the other items was a power cord AC/DC Apapter that I've ONLY seen used on laptops.
MODEL ADPC1260AB
S/N 1260AE60405370

My tower is HP & I did plug it in as is BUT NOTHING. My question is,is the cord I got the power cord? TIA.Click to expand...

Along with the attached picture of the adapter, on what appears to be a bar code is the alphanumeric number 1008555A0743 s p a c e ADPC1260AE

I'm hoping somebody here can help me cause I don't want to fry the monitor or blow a fuse in the house. Better safe asking here than sorry & not being able to get her for help. TIA.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/questions-about-a-monitor-power-cord.176294/
Relevancy 56.76%

We have a half dozen laptop power cords lurking around our house and it would be nice to just station some by appropriate chairs and tables for any passing laptop to plug into We have four users in our house each with his her own current laptop plus a collection of dead dying being-transferred-from brought-home-from-work laptops in various stages of functionality The actual physical connectors all seem to fit the various laptops but I m laptop power interchangeability cord not sure about the amps watts volts issue all we did in high school physics was shoot rockets into the ceiling to see if they d stick in the holes in the ceiling tiles so I m pretty ignorant in this area My latest latop not purchased by laptop power cord interchangeability choice it was the natural consequence of one too many coffee keyboard interactions has Vista and a virtually toy battery that doesn t last very long The power cord that came with it has a label that says quot V A quot How can I determine which of our other power cords work with it If I plug in the wrong power cord will my laptop blow up in my lap I don t mind experimenting but I d rather not ruin my new computer right away nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-power-cord-interchangeability.700610/
Relevancy 56.76%

I have an All in Wonder 9800 Pro and I don't have a power cable for it. What should I buy? Or can I conncet a regular floppy drive power cable?

Relevancy 56.76%

I dropped my laptop last night on the carpeting. It wasn't a hard fall, but immediately my power cord was no longer charging. Can this be easily fixed?

Relevancy 56.76%

HI PEOPLE !  Huge favor to ask , my love able , yet very destructive pit bull got ahold on my laptop power cord. Now I am out of luck finding a new one. Could anyone point me in the right direction I just got my laptop & obviously if I can't charge it I can't use it ! Please help help help ! Desperate college student in need of my computer   HP ENVY TOUCHSCREEN - I am not the biggest smarty when it comes to computers so hopefully someone can walk me step by step how to get one for my specific laptop .  thank you all ?

A:? Hp envy question about power cord ? Please help me !

Help us to help you by posting the following information. 1.  The complete Model Name. or Product Number. of the notebook - see This HP web document if you don't how to locate the model number and\or product number. If you use Google to search for your notebook and then take a look at the accessories you will find a replacement power adapter. I do not know if you can purchase a power cord for the power adapter seperately.  I usually go to second hand shops to get spares for mine. 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Hp-envy-question-about-power-cord-Please-help-me/td-p/5681831
Relevancy 56.76%

My laptop inexplicably stopped recognizing its power cord I have a Compaq Presario and I was just surfing the web last night when I noticed that it said I was running won't cord Laptop power recognize on battery power It never gave me an error message or did anything weird I tested the connections in all areas of the cable and AC adapter and everything was tight I changed outlets and that wasn t the problem The laptop ran out of juice as I was trying to figure out what was wrong It still flashes its lights when I try to turn it on so I know it s responsive but it s drained Today I got a new adapter and power cord but the problem persists so the problem isn t caused by a bad cord What do you think it could be I m not experienced with taking computers apart but I would like to have some ideas before I take it in for repair Oh and I got a universal power cable the kind you can use in the wall airplane and car Do those have a history of being flaky maybe I can hope anyway nbsp

Relevancy 56.76%

Hi guys.

I purchased a Cooler Master Power Supply Unit today. I find that there is an IEC connector provided to attach the PSU to the local power grid. However, my monitor has a C13 outlet to power it. This used to be connected to my older PSU which had no additional power cord.

Now how do I connect my monitor to the power supply? There is only one C14 socket on the PSU.

Can I connect my monitor to the PSU and not connect the PSU to the power grid directly?

Please help.

Thanks.

*** Sorry to bother you guys. Figured it out. Was making a wrong observation. Thanks anyway.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/psu-power-cord-and-monitor-query.116756/
Relevancy 56.76%

can anyone tell me what power cord to buy? i recently bought one on ebay but it was too big.

A:Hey my power cord broke, i'm trying to purchase a ...

Power adapters like this one should work. The key data are: 19VDC, 2.37A, 45W, and a 3.5x1.3mm center positive plug. Likely the one you bought has the larger 5.5x2.1mm plug.

http://community.acer.com/t5/Chromebooks/Hey-my-power-cord-broke-i-m-trying-to-purchase-a-new-one-for-the/td-p/432839
Relevancy 56.76%

Hi,
I have an HP laptop, but the power cord connection has become loose somehow and it makes no connection when I plug it into the laptop. The laptop has absolutely no power and no lights. I tried several different ways to twist and turn the cord into the laptop to make some kind of connection, but it doesn't do anything. What can I do?
Thanks,
Sue

Relevancy 56.76%

Computer will turn on for a few moments via battery pack then goes into hibernate. Battery is low because AC power cord will not power laptop. I tried new cord, same issue. Took apart unit and nothing obvious like a loose or dissconnected wire / solder joint. Any suggestions? Please help if you can.
[email protected] Thanks!!

A:Please help, Sony laptop VGN A-250 won't power up from cord

http://www.fonerbooks.com/laptop_7.htm

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/please-help-sony-laptop-vgn-a-250-wont-power-up-from-cord.78025/
Relevancy 56.76%
Relevancy 56.76%

Hi! I have a Dell laptop and i have had it for a couple of years but now when i take out the mains power supply cord , it switches off and wont start up until i plugged it back in to the mains, does this mean i need a new battery or is there something wrong with the laptop it self? thanks for any help that anyone can give.

Relevancy 56.76%

So my power supply used to have this cord:

imgbox - fast, simple image host

But I moved to a different country which uses the Type F (according to this: Plug & socket types - World Standards)

The only thing I noticed is that the old (original) power cord that came with the PSU, 10A 125 V was written on it. The new one I bought to fit the sockets here, has like 16A 250V written on it. Will it be okay to use that? Or will it cause problems on my PSU or PC?

Thanks!

A:Power supply cord question

hi you should be fine I think that power supply auto detects ac voltage some power supplies their is a switch you move to tell what input voltage your connecting too.

AURUM S 650W | Power Supply | FspLifeStyle

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/396560-power-supply-cord-question.html
Relevancy 56.76%

So i broke my laptop cable a few months back by tripping over it and dislodging the part that plugs in the computer however i temporarily fixed it by smashing the piece back into place however recently its started to become loose and dislodge itself on occasion Now im asking where is the best place in southern ontario specifically hamilton where i can get it replaced for relatively cheap to clarify my laptop is a Toshiba satellite i got from my grandpa a couple christmases ago so i didnt buy it myself i just need to replace this one external part id use amazon but the post office where i live will not give us our mail of we get packages because we dont have government issues ID drivers licence for example also i dont have a steady income as i live at home with my mother and do not have a job which is why im asking for a cheap solution it doesnt have to be the lastest in cable technology it just has to work nbsp

A:Replacing the power cord for a laptop

If it is like many Satellites, you may be lucky. They have a standard jack so you can use any power supply that puts out 19 volts DC. Mine is 130 watts, but it wouldn't need to have that high an output to work. You may be able to find the power supply easily at a computer supply store since many laptops are 19v, but it may not have the right connector on it. You would have to pick that up at Radio Shack and attach it yourself.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/replacing-the-power-cord-for-a-laptop.1025926/
Relevancy 56.76%

Hi Guys,

First time posting here so be kind.

I have a Phillips desktop machine which up to a few weeks ago was running fine. 4 weeks back I was running a virus scan and left the machine alone only to return an hour later and find the machine off and the power cord at the back completely melted at the connector.

After an initial panick I replaced the cord and the machine booted up again and ran absolutely fine.

4 weeks have passed now and today I noticed a burning smell whilst the computer was on and I noticed the power cord was starting to seriously melt again.

Any thoughts?

P.S. I have checked the machine for internal dust clogging fans and the first time the cord melted there was alot of dust stuck in both extracting fans. The second time the cable melted I checked inside the machine to find absolutely no dust.

Thanks,
Jay

A:Power cord on my desktop keeps melting.

Hello jayjaycostello. Welcome to the forum.

I am assuming that this melting occurs on the end of the cord that plugs into the PC's power supply. If this is the case then you should replace that power supply immediately. Do not use the computer until you have done so, but if you must then only use it while attended.

The most likely reason is that the connector is loose in the socket and the contacts are arcing. The fact that you replaced the cord and it is still doing it means that the socket is permanently damaged or there is a serious short circuit inside the power supply. Nothing that can be fixed by the home user.

Don't mess with it. It is a fire hazard.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/263874-power-cord-my-desktop-keeps-melting.html
Relevancy 55.9%

A friend of mine bought a new computer from Best Buy. She had the Geek Squad set it up for her. After he left she wanted to switch back to her old keyboard because the letters were white and easier to read. She got it and found that he had cut the cord off a couple inches from the board. I guess he did that instead of pulling it through the hole she had it through. She gave me all her old equipment and just to see if it could be done, I removed all the screws and opened the keyboard up. There was a small circuit board held in by 2 screws and the cord was connected to it. I know they aren't very expensive, but I like to tinker with things. Can those be bought and replaced? It's a Compaq and there are several numbers on the board.