Windows Support Forum

Windows ducking game volumes

Q: Windows ducking game volumes

Hi all I have a problem thats been ongoing for months and I just cant get it solved so im hoping you can help The problem is that whenever someone speaks in teamspeak ventrilo skype insertvoiphere my game volume drops to almost nil This volumes game Windows ducking is not a problem tied to any individual app as ive been through all the individual fixes to no avail such as volume control plugin disabled etc And the fact that every single voip program does it leads me to it being a windows option somewhere I have also gone into the sounds gt communication and have that set to do nothing It still happens It is not just with Windows ducking game volumes game either I tried different games and the sounds on every single one duck out when someone talks Also another note it also ducks out when I click to run any program on my pc via admin You know when the box pops up asking you if you want to allow this program to make changes to your computer where you click yes When the box pops up and it goes quot beep beep quot at that exact moment the game volume ducks out note - its only ducking game volumes too it doesnt duck out media player youtube vids or anything like this Please please if anyone can help me solve this issue it would be so appreciated Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Windows ducking game volumes

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Windows ducking game volumes

I'm assuming that you are on Windows 7? Go to the sound icon on the bottom-right of the desktop, right click and select playback devices. Right click on your default device (Either speakers or an integrated chip set normally) and select properties. Go to the advanced tab and make sure that the Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device box is un-ticked.. and make sure that the give exclusive mode applications prioirty is un-ticked, then report back to see if it has worked (Don't forgot to apply and OK the changes).

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-ducking-game-volumes.192988/
Relevancy 64.5%

Hello!

I've searched through these forums and have located the proper settings to disable to stop audio ducking from occurring when loading Teamspeak, Ventrilo or Mumble. The Windows 7 menu says "Do Nothing" like in the following screenshot/post - System Sounds Auto Leveling - Disable . I've also gone into Mumble and disabled attenuation and have gone into Ventrilo and done the same. I still get the audio volume lower when any voicecomm software is active.

Any ideas? I've checked the Realtek control panel and don't see anything there that could be doing it, either. I've been in the guild wars 2 settings and don't see anything there, either. Starting to drive me a little nuts that it keeps happening even though I've told it to not.

Thank you for your help!

A:Audio Ducking in Windows 7 - disabled but still occuring

Hallelujah!

I stumbled across the solution. Posting it to a number of places as I've seen others on other boards trying to hunt this down.

I think it has to do with Realtek audio driver behavior. This worked and stopped my system from audio ducking (even when "DO NOTHING" was selected in the communications tab):

Right click on your volume control, then pick your playback devices tab. Right click on your speakers, then choose "Enhancements". In the scroll bar area, check "Loudness Equalization". My system stopped audio ducking.

http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/271971-audio-ducking-windows-7-disabled-but-still-occuring.html
Relevancy 56.76%

I have 2 hard drives. One of them is my boot volume (operating system), and the other is my system volume (bios and stuff). I was wondering how I could make it so that my boot volume also had my system files because I was planning to put the other hard drive in a different computer.

A:boot volumes and system volumes

I think you are getting confused here. To my knowledge there is no such thing as a System Volume... I think you are talking about Boot Partition and System Partition.

What OS are you using?

Unless you have dual-booted the system, it should be all on one disk anyway. So you can use the second disk in your other machine.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/boot-volumes-and-system-volumes.96090/
Relevancy 54.61%

I only noticed recently. It was incredibly useful, one of the core reasons I used TeamSpeak when playing games.

A:What happened to the TeamSpeak sound ducking plugin?

I don't use TeamSpeak, but are you saying there was an audio ducking plugin listed that is now gone? You know there are settings in both TeamSpeak and Windows 7 that can accomplish this to certain levels?

Unwanted sound ducking (not as easy as you think) - [H]ard|Forum

A Guy

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/237907-what-happened-teamspeak-sound-ducking-plugin.html
Relevancy 52.46%

Hi.

Recently I had an idea of installing clean W10 and then Ubuntu with GRUB to dual boot them.

The thing is I have all things back-upped on the outer hard drive and I don't need anything to remain. So what I intended to do was booting W10 installation and just delete all partitions, making one for System and for Windows then divide it for some additional logical drive for additional data after installation and rest of space leave unallocated for Ubuntu.

Today I first time saw that all my volumes are Simple volumes...
HP_RECOVERY, HP_TOOLS, New Volume (D:), SYSTEM, Windows (C:)

So my question is that if I can delete these volumes during W10 installation like normal partitions or not?
If not, what I am supposed to do?

I don't need HP_Recovery, HP_Tools. I wanted to create clean system.

A:All Volumes are Simple Volumes

Welcome to the forum the simple thing is to delete all partitions don't create new let windows create what it needs you can shrink them later if needed. I prefer to run any other o/s with virtual box as a virtual machine a lot less problems

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/400146-all-volumes-simple-volumes.html
Relevancy 52.46%

Hi.

Recently I had an idea of installing clean W10 and then Ubuntu with GRUB to dual boot them.

The thing is I have all things back-upped on the outer hard drive and I don't need anything to remain. So what I intended to do was booting W10 installation and just delete all partitions, making one for System and for Windows then divide it for some additional logical drive for additional data after installation and rest of space leave unallocated for Ubuntu.

Today I first time saw that all my volumes are Simple volumes...
HP_RECOVERY, HP_TOOLS, New Volume (D:), SYSTEM, Windows (C:)

So my question is that if I can delete these volumes during W10 installation like normal partitions or not?
If not, what I am supposed to do?

I don't need HP_Recovery, HP_Tools. I wanted to create clean system.

A:All Volumes are Simple Volumes

Welcome to the forum the simple thing is to delete all partitions don't create new let windows create what it needs you can shrink them later if needed. I prefer to run any other o/s with virtual box as a virtual machine a lot less problems

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/400146-all-volumes-simple-volumes.html
Relevancy 51.17%

So I'm attempting to extend my windows 8 partition on my computer, I've set myself some unallocated space but when I try extending the volume the bar is greyed out. I can extend my initial volume but when I attempt to do so with my Windows 8 Volume like I said above the bar is greyed out. Sorry if there's a really obvious solution I'm missing but I've been trying for a few days now and I can't get it working.

Here's an image of what I mean

A:Extending volumes in Windows 8

See if any way to increase size of disk partition? helps

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/5377-extending-volumes-windows-8-a.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Hey guys,

I want to merge my drive volumes into one volume. I'm in disk manager and get this screen:

I just want a C partition, and I would like to add all of the space from the D partition to that.

How do I go about doing this?

A:How do I merge disk volumes in Windows 8?

Just delete the D Partition. You will have to use Minitools Partition Wizard Home to re-size the C partition.

Best Free Partition Manager Freeware and free partition magic for Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Vista and Windows XP 32 bit & 64 bit. MiniTool Free Partition Manager Software Home Edition.

If you are trying to save anything that is already on the D partition, well you will have to move that out before you do this.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/35441-how-do-i-merge-disk-volumes-windows-8-a.html
Relevancy 49.88%

This might sound a little weird, but how to disable someone with “user” privileges to be able to format my
disks volumes on Windows 7.
As I remember, in Windows XP only the Administrators have that permeation but not the users.
I have checked this on several machines. By default, on Windows 7, users can format disk volumes and this is unacceptable.

How can I change this?

A:Users can format disk volumes in Windows 7 !?

Hi, Marwab
I have checked what you said about “perform maintenance volume disk”. It’s enabled only for Administrators group.

I think that something is wrong with the VMware.
I have tried on a physical machine and everything is ok.
If anyone has tried this on VMware Workstation virtual machine and has find the same problem, please tell me.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/5655c6e4-5438-4f2b-8d91-84a3e8f9c434/users-can-format-disk-volumes-in-windows-7-?forum=w7itprosecurity
Relevancy 49.02%

After installing Windows 10, my stripped volume became RAW in Disk Management. I tried to clean the disks and recreate a new stripped volume, but it always fails when it's formatting the volume, showing "The format did not complete successfully"
when using Disk Management and "DiskPart has encountered an error: The parameter is incorrect" when using
diskpart.
I then tried to create a simple volume on the dynamic disk, but it failed with the same error.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/596e4eb6-39ae-43a9-8163-7441f9b221d3/unable-to-create-stripped-volume-or-dynamic-volumes-on-windows-10?forum=w8itproinstall
Relevancy 44.29%

heres the side note on the game below

Note on Windows XP Compatibility for this title: The MIDI music option slows the game engine down considerably on Windows XP. It's recommended to use the CD-DA (full CD sound) music option so that the game plays at a normal speed.

is there any way i can set it up to keep the engine from slowing and not use the cd da,its a pretty old windows game and im sick of hearing my cd rom drive spin.its a cheap and therefor a loud one

thx for the help
should this have gone in the win xp section instead of the gaming section?

A:midi music option slows game engine down(slow game play) in windows xp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/midi-music-option-slows-game-engine-down-slow-game-play-in-windows-xp.187952/
Relevancy 43%

I've been trying to install Game Pad Pro on win 2000 but haven't had any luck so far.

I'm installed the drivers, and realized that the OS doesnt' know there's a new hardware device.

In 'Device Manager', under 'Sound, video and game controllers', there's no mention of a game port device, all it has is my tv tuner card, audio and video codecs'.

I've clicked on 'scan for hardware changes' and nothing changed. How do I fix the problem? How do I check to see if any of the other devices are interupting with the game port?

Thanks in advance.

A:Game Port, Windows 2000 + Game Pad Pro

I'm not familiar with that unit.

Does this connect USB?
You may have a dead port.
First off try removing all of your USB Hubs and Controllers in Device Manager and restarting.
Then see if it will recognize it.
If not try a different USB port (preferably one in the back on your motherboard)

If it's a serial port, go into the properties of the COM port in Device Manager and make sure your flow control (under Port Settings) is set to Hardware and baud is set to 9600. Also if it's serial you may need to check or uncheck your FIFO buffers under the advanced tab

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/game-port-windows-2000-game-pad-pro.223750/
Relevancy 42.14%

I'm pretty sure I'm in the wrong category but I have a question.
In the screen shot, what is the pqservice? And do I have to have that?
Also, see in the New Volume, that little sliver? It says its empty, and if I delete
it, after a few days it's back. Is that strange?

I have several system images that have the pqservice, but I am wondering what it does exactly.

A:? about volumes

Answers.com - What is pqservice

Regarding, the X partition, I suspect that's because of System Restore.
You can turn off System Restore for that partition only, if desired.

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/155242-about-volumes.html
Relevancy 42.14%

Hi...

Im tired of having to keep adjusting my volume in Winamp when a new song starts...

All my MP3's seem to be recorded at different sound levels, is there a small good program that will alter that so that they end up roughly the same sound/decibel level???

Preferably converting them all at once, instead of manually doing one at a time???

Cheers...

A:MP3's all different volumes!!!

I used to manually adjust the volume on songs, so I burned them to cd's using some studio equipment so all of the songs were on the same audio level. You can probably do the same on a computer.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/mp3s-all-different-volumes.3337/
Relevancy 41.71%

Is there a way through dos or xp somehow to merge two volumes on a hdd other than Partionmagic or software of it's type?

Thanks

A:Merging Two Volumes

to BC. A great tool for editing partitions is Gparted. Have a look at it.. If you don't like it we can look for something else. You might want to check the freeware section ( click the link in my sig) with various free tools..

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/83045/merging-two-volumes/
Relevancy 41.71%

I am trying to upload Multiple files from a macIntosh client to a windows NT 4.0 server Mac Volume for transfer to a new machine. The problem is that anything over a few files causes the NT server to crash. We are running service pack 6 on the server and cannot find any fixes for this problem on the Microsoft site. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

A:MacIntosh Volumes

Greetings

OK, I have no idea what could be acausing the problem. I could suggest re-installing Appletalk and then re-installing the service pack.

Or, what you can do, is a work-around. If youn can copy a few files (1 or 2) at a go without any problems, then just setup a script to copy the files in bursts of two at a time.

Unfortunenately, I have no idea how to set this up on a Mac, but I can give you the steps I would take to do it on windows:

1) Copy all the files I wanted to copy onto the server into one folder on my machine.

2) Run a command from the command prompt, to print out a list of the files in the directory (the command would be "dir *.* /b /s>c:\dir.txt" - which will create a list of files in the directory and the sub-directories and write a text file called dir.txt to the root of c: )

3) Open that text file in Word, and change the text to a table, and then copy that table into Excel. Use excel to add the copy commands around the file names, and then copy the cells down so that they are around ALL the file names. Then copy the cells back to Word, and convert the table back to text, and save the text into a .BAT file.

Then just run the file.
Hope that gives you a few ideas.

------------------
Reuel Miller
Windows NT Moderator (yes, that does make me biased )

[email protected]

Every morning is the dawn of a new error...

[This message has been edited by Reuel Miller (edited 08-30-2000).]

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/macintosh-volumes.29054/
Relevancy 41.71%

I am working on a MS Training Kit 70-431 for SQL and in order to complete the practice exams I need 4 volumes on my laptop.

Laptop is am IBM ThinkPad Model R51e.

Currently I show-
C drive as having IBM Preload 33.35 GB NTFS Healthy (System)
C drive IBM_Service 3.91 GB FAT32 Healthy (EISA Configuration)
D drive is my CD/DVD ROM

What I would like is to change the CD/DVD ROM to G drive;
and take 6 GB from the NTFS on C drive and split it with
volume D - 2 gb
volume E - 2 gb
volume F - 2 gb

Please tell me this can be done. I would like to get some work done over the weekend, and I do not have the laptop system disks here at home so formatting is kinda of like not possible? (this is a borrowed laptop from work, available for education uses).

A:need to add 4 volumes to laptop

Correct me if I'm wrong, because preferred would be to do this in laptop and not my home computer.

At any rate, what I've discovered is that I could do the above if I converted the Basic disk to a Dynamic disk; but I just discovered that Windows XP Professional (which is what I'm running) does not support Dynamic disks in portable computers. Waaaaa, I guess I can't do what I want on the laptop.

Moving right along....

I have a wonderful home computer running XP Home Edition, and it's current drives are:
C drive - Basic NTFS 298.08 GB Healthy (System)
D drive is CD/DVD ROM

Plan B would be to add the three volumes as follows:
E with 2 GB
F with 2 GB
G with 2 GB

Can I do this now?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/need-to-add-4-volumes-to-laptop-154969.html
Relevancy 41.71%

Hi Further to your very helpful comments regarding the installation of a new SSD - with -bit windows home premium on - the disc is now up and running - and lightening fast C drive Two volumes? However I have a problem Having unhooked the two HDD's I have then setup the new SSD - the new install has labelled the drive as 'C' This is the problem - as one of the HDD's is also a 'C' drive - so my idea of connecting them both and using F to select the boot device now won't work Upon completing the install of Windows - I checked online about how to re-assign the drive letter I tried to do it using the 'manage devices' option - but the system would not allow me to change it from 'C' to any other letter Is there a way to do that with the SSD - so that I can use F to select the SSD or HDD and boot to it - without Two drive C volumes? affecting the other device I don't necessarily want to access the HDD's while using the SSD anyway - but it's going to be a paid having to physically unhook the HDD's every time I want to boot to the SSD I'm sure it's just a stupid mistake I've made when setting up the new installation but any help would be appreciated

A:Two drive C volumes?

There can be multiple C drives on multiple volumes. The "active" OS will assume C. There should be no reason that you cannot switch the boot sequence between volumes with the BIOS. Is F8 the way to get into the BIOS boot sequence on your system? What is the make of your system?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/175091-two-drive-c-volumes.html
Relevancy 41.71%

Hi could you please help i have lost all volume including even the volume control icon

Relevancy 41.71%

Windows Service Pack I decided I needed a new partition and have done something that I don't quite understand The computer still boots up fine and everything seems just as it was operation wise but something is not like it was before I have a GB HD and originally had Primary Partitions These were the normal C drive which I had set to a size of about GB and a B which was larger at about GB for movies and music and Volumes Simple All a smaller GB partition for files and documents So I go to create another small GB partition in Computer Management I right click All Simple Volumes on the large GB partition and select shrink I shrank it by GB and created another partition Somehow and I guess all of All Simple Volumes you can tell I am no computer genius I managed to create the extra needed small GB partition but I changed all the volumes that were primary partitions into simple volumes in one fell swoop Is this a bad thing What are the advantages disadvantages to this I have no primary partitions at all just simple volumes Also all the flash drives are primary partitions That seems odd to me but may not be odd at all because I have no idea what I am talking about Is it normal for flash drives to be primary partitions

A:All Simple Volumes

Unfortunately you have converted your disk to dynamic. You can only have 4 basic primary partitions. If you want more then need to go to "logicals" after the 3rd primary. Basically this is not a good situation and you should convert your HDD back to a "Basic" disk.
see
Convert a Dynamic Disk to a Basic Disk

Hold off doing anything. There is a procedure to do the conversion but I think one of your 10GB partitions may be a factory recovery partition. Is that correct?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/149272-all-simple-volumes.html
Relevancy 41.71%

I got to thinking about the differences between W and Mac OS X and one thing i'd like to know is how W sees disk volumes On the mac OS the drives have mount points so the volume just shows up on the desktop or in the case of an optical or removable drive appears when there is a cd or when the drive is plugged in Windows I know uses a letter addressing system but things like card readers and the like are always visible even if there is no media present Why does MS keep to ? does how W7 Disk see Volumes this protocol is it restricted by architecture or is there an advantage that i'm just not getting Also I understand that Vista and both have a different boot architecture in place than XP I might be misinformed but how I understand it is that XP has MBR setup and Vista and have GUID setups for booting Is this the case or have I totally got the wrong end of the stick What's the advantage of the new how does W7 see Disk Volumes ? Vista boot methodology Thanks in advance as i'm just curious how does W7 see Disk Volumes ? to know these differences

A:how does W7 see Disk Volumes ?

First, NT supports mount points. In fact, a few of the partitions on my system are accessible only via mount point and not by drive letter.

As for why MSFT keeps using drive letters, it's all about backward compatibility. Apple is not afraid to arrogantly say "f*ck you" to all of its existing users (e.g., the new Mac Pro does not support Firewire 400, leaving all existing iSight users screwed... Apple pulls this kind of stunt all the time with hardware and software). It helps make Apple "cool", but it makes Apple a very poor platform. Microsoft realizes that in order for a platform to be successful, it has to be, first and foremost, stable, so people who invest in the platform can feel safe knowing that years down the line, what they bought for (or developed for) the platform still viable. That's why something so fundamental as this will never change because every MSFT OS has used it, that's why Microsoft bends over backwards to ensure as much compatibility as possible, and that's why Windows dominates.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/16435-how-does-w7-see-disk-volumes.html
Relevancy 41.71%

I've been reading up on dynamic volumes, and while they are interesting, I wonder if they are actually used in the real world, and if so, more by enterprises than individuals?

What's your experience, and do you see big advantages to them?

Thanks.

A:Does anyone actually use dynamic volumes?

I use it for virtual drives for Windows 8 & sometimes Win XP.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/263495-does-anyone-actually-use-dynamic-volumes.html
Relevancy 41.71%
Relevancy 41.71%

I've just installed Windows I have hard drives Windows installed drive C Drive Data Drive F drive System Two Volumes and a media Two System Volumes drive D I accidently changed F drive from a basic to dynamic disc not sure if this has Two System Volumes any bearing on my isssue For some reason the C and F drive are system drives Even though F drive only contains data Windows has designated it a partial system volume If I physically remove F drive from my computer Windows does not boot up When I tried to create a system image for C drive C and F drive are being backed up as a single image It seem Windows sees them as one system drive Is there any way I can make C soley the system drive and remove the system volume attribute from F drive I have tried to delete the volume for F as well as format the volume But i get an error message saying I can not delete format a system volume Tried this both with the disk mangement tool as well as diskpart

A:Two System Volumes

F alone is holding your System MBR, which needs to be recovered into C.

To do this, mark C active using your booted Win7 DVD Repair Console command line: Partition - Mark as Active

Then boot into Repair console, click through to Recovery tools list to run Startup Repair up to 3 separate times with reboots to write the MBR to C. Startup Repair

If this fails, unplug F while running Startup Repair x3.

After Win7 starts, convert F back to basic using this: Change a dynamic disk back to a basic disk: Storage Services; Local File Systems

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/97614-two-system-volumes.html
Relevancy 41.71%

I just installed a new 500 gb Seagate HD and partitioned it as I usually do. I have decided to not include a 98 partition on this computer. Can I delete this volume, delete the volume for xp and then make a volume called xp with the unassigned space? Will that slow down performance? Should I delete each volume and start over?

A:Combining volumes

What do you have now? Do you have XP Installed? If you just have partitions that are formatted but no OS the just install the OS. If you have 98 Then you can just format the Partition, or delete it and create a new partition.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/combining-volumes-434342.html
Relevancy 41.71%

I have five 1.5TB drives running in software Raid5 with a dynamic volume. I have to re-install Windows 7. Will this dynamic volume persist through a re-install of windows 7? Or will I have to re-create the dyncamic volume?

A:Dynamic Volumes

Do you want to convert to Basic volume? If so, here's how:

Change a dynamic disk back to a basic disk: Storage Services; Local File Systems

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/66005-dynamic-volumes.html
Relevancy 41.71%

So I have an older ASUS K n board which is still running strong after almost years Lately ever since I downloaded the Movie volumes low newst windows media player I noticed that Movie volumes low the volume when I play movies is really low I end up having Movie volumes low to turn Movie volumes low my speakers up almost all the way to the point where there s fuzz in the background I didn t and still don t have any problems with the volume of mp s or other audio files so i assume its gotta be a software codec problem I installed all the latest drivers for my onboard audio realtec ac yea I know onboard sucks but Im poor and all the latest drivers for my logitec x speakers Still all movie files mpg avi even some html files like embedded videos on youtube and myspace are comparably lower volumes so any recommendations should I go through all the trouble of downloading and installing the latest video and audio codecs whats the best option for this nbsp

A:Movie volumes low

Try going into your Control Panel, click on Sounds and Audio Devices, and ensure that the device volume is high enough.

This works for XP, not sure about other OSes though.

Regards

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/movie-volumes-low.69989/
Relevancy 41.71%

So here is the problem I have a Dell that came with Windows XP Media Center which was having some issues so I reformatted That went fine Then someone tried to reformat again using Windows XP Pro and ended up with two operating systems on one hard drive The main hard drive now has two OS one volumes??? of two 2 remove on How to volumes C and J The C-drive has an incomplete non-working XP Pro and the J-drive has a working XP Media Center I want to remove the incomplete XP Pro from the C-drive and have just XP Media Center which is now on J be the only operating system I would like to remove the volume that XP Pro is on so that C-drive only has a single How to remove one of two OS on 2 volumes??? NTFS volume with no partitions and no other operating systems I have tried editing the boot ini file but the option screen still comes up of which OS to run How to remove one of two OS on 2 volumes??? when the system boots Can anyone help me nbsp

A:How to remove one of two OS on 2 volumes???

and welcome to the Forum

The easiest way is to reinstall the Operating system you want, and be sure to delete all partitions

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-remove-one-of-two-os-on-2-volumes.932011/
Relevancy 41.28%

is there anyway to convert a game install cd for macintosh to be usable on windows xp aswell? cause my dad bought my littlebrother a game, and he didnt know it was for macintosh only, so its kinda useless.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/mac-game-to-windows-game-install-282766.html
Relevancy 41.28%

Does anyone know how to image striped dynamic volumes? Norton Ghost and Driveimage don't work.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/striped-dynamic-volumes-7351.html
Relevancy 41.28%

Yeah, I erased 2 2 partitions accidentally, One of them I need my data inmediately ..
Please help, I know it can be recovered but I dont know how.
I have not created a new volume over it...

Thank you. I have an important activity in 5 hours... and I need this data, .. otherwise I am screwed...

A:oh god I just erased my volumes accidentally

Recover the partition using free Partition Wizard

Best Free Partition Manager Freeware and free partition magic for Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Vista and Windows XP 32 bit & 64 bit. MiniTool Free Partition Manager Software Home Edition.
Read:
How to perform lost partition recovery and deleted partition recovery under Windows? Partition Recovery Help.

Watch:
How to perform Partition Recovery with partition magic? Partition Wizard Partition Recovery Video Help.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/329903-oh-god-i-just-erased-my-volumes-accidentally.html
Relevancy 41.28%

Greeting forum members. I am a "newbie" to the forum and would like to ask a question:
I am running Vista 64 and have a 2.7TB RAID5 on an Adaptec 5805 daughter card. Windows Disk Manager sees it as Disk 1, Basic, 2790.00GB in total but the disk is further broken down into a 2048GB NTFS partition (D:, NTFS, Healthy (Primary Partition) which I created), and a 742GB unallocated partition which I cannot do anything with.
I understand that a 64-bit OS should be able to see upward of 256TB. Can someone assist me by pointing out what I am doing wrong in able to combine the two partitions into a single, larger partition? Thanks in advance!!

A:Volumes larger than 2.0TB in Vista 64

OOPS! Found the answer to my own question by converting the disk to a GPT. Thanks to those who looked at this just the same!

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/202692-volumes-larger-than-2-0tb-vista-64-a.html
Relevancy 41.28%

I have a DELL with xp that came with one huge NTFS C: partion and a smaller dell restore partions FAT32. I wanted to have a C and D partition but they told me I would have to reinstall xp and would lose the restore ability. So, is there a way to make the Huge C partion into 2 volumes so I can separate data and apps without doing anyreinstalling???

thanks

A:create volumes in XP without reinstall?

Partition Magic !!!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/create-volumes-in-xp-without-reinstall.341401/
Relevancy 41.28%

winRAR has some preset options so you can hilight a bunch of files and set the compression to 700mb pieces so you can burn lots of stuff to multiple CDs.

well now that i have a DVD burner and DVDs can hold up to 4.7gb i was wondering how i would maually set this option?

see screen for the field I'm talkin about.

Relevancy 41.28%

I have divided my Physical disk in to two logical NTFS volumes,

C: for system (15 GB)
D: for Data (30 GB)

Now my C: has become critical and I would like to shrink D to allocate more space to C. Is it possible?

A:re arrangement of disk volumes

Yes it is. Check out the tutorial.

That will have you delete your D: drive, and extend it to C:

In the future, I would get a bigger drive than 50 gigs. Vista requires about 20 minimum.

~Lordbob

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/205602-re-arrangement-disk-volumes.html
Relevancy 41.28%

I have an HP Pavilion zt1175 notebook running WinXP Home SP1. I bought an external HD enclosure kit and hooked up a 30GB HD from an old desktop. It worked at first, showing two partitions on the drive. Then I deleted both partitions thinking that would just allow me to reformat the whole drive and... Well, okay, I messed up. Now I can see the drive from the Disk Management console, but I can't format it or give it a volume name and it doesn't appear in My Computer. It's pretty much unusable. If anyone can suggest how I can get this thing to work again, I would be much obliged.

Relevancy 41.28%

i just add my 2nd HDD today that have 3 volumes that's I: (19.53GB) , J: (195.31GB) and K: (17.94GB) and i tried to delete both I: (19.53GB) and K: (17.94GB) using Disk Management so i can add it to I: (195.31GB) but im getting "Access is Denied" i login as admin and it doesn't make any sense

other infos:

#this is my motherboard ASUS P5KPL-AM SE Motherboard - Intel G31, Socket 775, ?ATX, Audio, Video, PCI Express, 10/100 LAN, USB 2.0, Serial ATA at TigerDirect.com

#Login as Administrator / no other account is created but only me
#Windows 7 64 Ultimate Version
#i have 2x HDD both are SATA2 Seagate Barracuda my main is 500GB with 3 volumes/partitions C: (27.34GB) , D: (40.92GB) and E: (397.40B) , my 2nd HDD is what it mentioned earlier

the screenshot:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

A:How to Merge Volumes/Partations?

Before we embark into any advice, could you please post a screenshot of your Disk Management. Just to be sure with what we are dealing.
But if you want to take your chances, use this program. That will do it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/97526-how-merge-volumes-partations.html
Relevancy 41.28%

I've got a question (actually based on Windows 2003).

I had a dynamic volume of 24.41GB, which I needed to extend 3 times - once by 9.77GB, and twice by 10.00GB.

I now no longer need the three extensions - can I delete the three extended dynamic volumes without compromising the data on the original dynamic volume, which now fills only 50% of the original 24.41GB?

Relevancy 41.28%

Hi all new forum member here I m currently training empty or volumes Hidden not? as a technician so Hidden volumes empty or not? advance apologies for any daft questions or omissions Disk management diskpart show that I've got volumes - see attached screenshots My machine didn't come with any disks so I think the GB 'nameless' recovery partition contains all the system files I'd need to do a fresh reinstall of the OS but it's shown as having free i e empty But when in command line i assign it a letter diskpart gt list volume gt select volume gt assign letter then when it appears in 'computer' it shows as only having of GB free i e not empty Does anyone know why what's going on there Also what's the MB 'system reserved' volume for Are they both for recovery i e the recovery partition is split in two if so why amp what's the difference between the two amp if not what's the difference between the two Also I think I read somewhere that the recovery partitions are created by for the h ware manufacturer - in that case I guess the contents as a whole won't be much use for another machine TIA p s I've removed all assigned letters from hidden volumes to avoid the BIOS not being able to boot the recovery partition if I ever need to

A:Hidden volumes empty or not?

System reserved contains the boot files necessary for your current installation of Windows. Without it, you won't boot. If you were to do a clean install using diskpart, you could omit that partition and force the boot files to be on C instead. But as it is, you need to keep that system reserved partition.

The recovery partition is something else entirely and is used to restore the PC to factory specs.

It's normal for the recovery partition to appear empty, but as you discovered, it really isn't.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/200794-hidden-volumes-empty-not.html
Relevancy 41.28%

Hi guys
I was using 2 40gb HDDs with my computer and recently I found that I was running out with my Primary HDD. "Unfortunately" for learning purpose I had converted both the drives to "Dynamic" volumes few months back and when I replaced the Primary HDD with a new 80GB, forgot this factor.

Now my problem is though the second hdd is detected by my OS, it doesnt allow me to read any data from it.
My new HDD is "Basic volume"

My question is whether converting this new HDD to Dynamic volume would allow me to read from the secondary HDD without problems?

Thanks & regards

A:Concerns with dynamic volumes

Quote:

Originally Posted by rajthampi

Hi guys
I was using 2 40gb HDDs with my computer and recently I found that I was running out with my Primary HDD. "Unfortunately" for learning purpose I had converted both the drives to "Dynamic" volumes few months back and when I replaced the Primary HDD with a new 80GB, forgot this factor.

Now my problem is though the second hdd is detected by my OS, it doesnt allow me to read any data from it.
My new HDD is "Basic volume"

My question is whether converting this new HDD to Dynamic volume would allow me to read from the secondary HDD without problems?

Thanks & regards

Okay guys. I managed to do it. During the first two runs my new OS was not showing me the option "Import foreign Dynamic volumes" option and during the third run it show me this option.

I imported the dynamic volume and everything is fine.

Regards

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/concerns-with-dynamic-volumes-94896.html
Relevancy 41.28%

I don t know if anyone is doing anything like this so this is kind of a shot in the dark On a client s site I m running a QNAP NAS array with eight TB drives one as a hot spare the rest in a RAID array for a total of TB available all connected to a WinXP SP DVR via iSCSI using the latest Microsoft iSCSI initiator Now the QNAPs have a little spanned of use Kinda out-there volumes... issue where iSCSI targets under Windows XP are limited to TB other arrays I ve used manage to Kinda out-there use of spanned volumes... work around this This means that I end up with seven TB volumes on the DVR well six TB another at TB This makes setup a PITA plus the DVR requires additional licenses for additional media drives rolleyes don t get me started To get around this I decided set the volumes as Dynamic and create a single spanned volume across them all I figure if one target goes offline which would normally destroy a spanned volume they ll all go offline so it s all all-eggs-in-one-basket deal no matter which way I rig it Anyway problem is when the machine boots up it takes the iSCSI initiator a minute or two to connect and the volumes to all come online and be available to the machine And in this time it appears Windows is looking for the pieces of the spanned volume seeing it s not there and just setting the volume as quot Deactivated quot and leaving it at that I have to go into Disk Management right-click one of the volume segments and select quot Reactivate quot and after a few seconds the whole thing comes back online So I need to either come up with some way to automate this or to make Windows wait a little longer before giving up on the drives or to make Windows retry after a little while before simply declaring it quot Deactivated quot Anyone have any thoughts Anyone else doing anything like this TIA nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/kinda-out-there-use-of-spanned-volumes.943515/
Relevancy 41.28%

I have raid setup and don't need so many partitions. I have shrunk the volumes, but I can't delete them. Ideally, I want disk 1 and disk 2 to just be one letter drive each (physically, there are 2 drives for disk 1 and 2 drives for disk 2). These are NOT where the OS resides.

Ignore the formatting status, I was experimenting when I took the snapshot.

A:No delete option for Volumes

If you want one partition to span 2 drives, you have to make them dynamic (spanned). http://www.dynamic-disk.com/what-is-dynamic-disk.html

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/293933-no-delete-option-volumes.html
Relevancy 41.28%

Hello here at home i have a server R server which is basically a file server of sorts but runs active directory dns and dhcp This isn't so much server related but is part of the operating system tools which are also in windows hence why this Volumes [SOLVED] Mirrored isn't quot server support quot of such I have a main drive for the boot [SOLVED] Mirrored Volumes and then i created a mirrored volume which consisted of two TB drives using the disk management in computer management of the operating system didnt use onboard raid or anything just wanted a basic setup and it works great However i had some serious thunderstorms recently and i think its messed things up with these two drives At first the computer wouldn't boot hung and restart before login screen appeared so i used a system image repair which i always keep an up to date one of Once the repair had been complete the two drives which were being used as the mirrored volume weren't showing not even in disk management as if the drives aren't plugged in Is there any way to restore the mirrored volume Would i be able to plug both drives into another computer running server r or even windows Or could i plug a single drive in and be able to use the drive Both drives are running fine so i doubt the storms done any damage I just need to get the data from these drives I'm going to try a couple of things tomorrow when i have the time but if anyone has any tips it would be very grateful Many Thanks

A:[SOLVED] Mirrored Volumes

well soft raid is not recommended to begin with because of these issues

are both drives mirrored and stripped or just mirrored because they were only mirrored you can try ghosting one of the drive attached to any other computer or the same computer by using norton ghost and see if that works

there are other programs which can do that for you as well which you can try to see ifyou get information off the drives

Also when you do setup soft raid again did you make the 2 drives dynamic? if so you have to make the OS drive dynamic as well otherwise it will not boot right

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-mirrored-volumes-591781.html
Relevancy 41.28%

Can someone please look at the below screenshot of my HDD and suggest a method to combine my G Drive with the 101 GB of free space next to it. I can't do it using Windows, and I?ve tried using Partition Wizard but it only results in moving the Free Space to the Right side of the G Drive. Is there any way to combine the Free and G parts to create a 318 GB G Drive??
I'm using W7
Thanks for your help

A:Have been unable to combine two volumes of my HD??

Partition or Volume - Extend - Windows 7 Forums

You want part 2.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/have-been-unable-to-combine-two-volumes-of-my-hd-587619.html
Relevancy 41.28%

Ive got a SB128 PCI sound card.. and surround soud speakers plugged into it. now, i figure its probably in the speakers somewhere.. but.. the rear speakers are much quieter than the front ones are. i switched the front to the back and vice versa and still, the ones plugged into the rear were quiet. in creative configurator i found the rear volume to be full.

so.. im wondering.. is it possible to make the rear louder, either by changing something directly or by lowering just the front after turning up the general volume?

A:rear speaker volumes..

Rear speakers are supposed to be quiter than front. So, at least nothing is broken...

I don't know if you can adjust it much, other than with manual controls (if they exist) on your speakers.

The only real options you have are in the SB Mixer program. You could try different settings in there as far as what kind of speakers you have. There are some "simulated 3D" and other weird ones, if I remember correctly, that make a decent difference in volume.

------------------
Get free stuff and help out a poor computer tech:
LarryCore begs for money

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/rear-speaker-volumes.34947/
Relevancy 41.28%

I have the same problem
difference is "all partition is in disk 0"

A:dynamic volumes issue

Hello RST, and welcome to Eight Forums.

Luckily, you are still in Windows 8. Whatever you do, DO NOT restart or shut down this PC until you convert the disk back to "basic". If you do, then Windows will be unbootable.

You could use step 3 in OPTION ONE in the tutorial below to convert your "Disk 0" from a "dynamic" disk back to a "basic" disk.

Convert a Dynamic Disk to a Basic Disk - Windows 7 Support Forums
Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/21458-dynamic-volumes-issue.html
Relevancy 41.28%

I have just installed XP Pro on a PIII 400 Mhz with a 6.4 Gig hard drive. The hard drive shows as three partitions;

C: 2.01 Gig
D: 2.01 Gig
E: CD Rom
F: 1.98 Gig

I tried a re-install of XP Pro to see if it would give me the opportunity to change this configuration but it did not, just re-installed.

How can I combine C, D & F into one drive letter (span volumes on the se logical drives)? I tried following the instructions using the Disk Management tools but where it instructs me to choose "Convert to Dynamic Disk" I have no option to do so.

Any thoughts on this?

Relevancy 41.28%

Does anyone know how to image striped dynamic volumes? Norton Ghost and Driveimage don't work.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/striped-dynamic-volumes.161882/
Relevancy 41.28%

hi...

i m using windows 7...and i want to make logical volumes on my drives...as a friend of mine said....it increases performance in some cases....Partitioning ur drive in simple Volumes are easy and every volume is primary when u made partitions.....
i have two HDD... one is 80GB and 2nd is 320Gb.....

please help me with it...

i have jpg of my system drives dont know how i created these logical drives but i want to create volumes on my friend's PC as well...

A:Creating Logical Volumes??

I've never heard of a logical drive increasing performance, but be that as it may, its seems that with W7, that you have to create 3 primary partitions first, before it will add a logical partition. If you use a third party partitioner, you can add a logical drive anytime that you wish.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/80297-creating-logical-volumes.html
Relevancy 41.28%

I have one volume on my computer, and I need to reformat and repartition my hard drive to contain multiple volumes before I begin creating a multiple-boot configuration.

I will be installing Red Hat Linux 9 along w/ my already existing Windows XP OS on my computer.

So how do I create multiple volumes?

A:Create Multiple Volumes?

If you install XP first, there will be an option during setup to remove all partitions and then recreate partitions of the desired size. Only the XP installation partition needs to be formatted right away, so the partitions are "RAW" and Red Hat should install on one of them.

You can also power off the computer immediately after the partitions are created and before setup proceeds and keep all the partitions "RAW".

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/create-multiple-volumes.152896/
Relevancy 40.85%

I have an evaluation version of XP Pro on a D volume. I want to upgrade or do a new install of XP Pro on my C drive, but there is not enough space.

1. Is there a way to resize the partitions from within XP?

2. If not, do I have to completely uninstall the evaluation version, delete the D partition, and then do a new install of XP?

I don't have a copy of Partition Magic, so that's not a viable solution.

Thanks.

A:Resizing or Deleting XP System Volumes

If the eval version supports you can manage partitions through administrative tools found in the control panel. In admin tools open computer management. Expand storage and open Disk Management. Right click on the partitions to see what options you get.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/resizing-or-deleting-xp-system-volumes.95372/
Relevancy 40.85%

I have a friend in our photography group that is an Apple user.
This morning he posted:
"So I do this every Monday morning to protect my drives.
Scary thing is I do this every Monday and it has never taken longer than 30 minutes.
If you aren't maintaining your drives you are running a major risk.
I know I sound like broken record, but you guys are the photographers, I am the the tech geek."

I have never done this Rebuild Volumes.. Is this a good idea for Windows 7, Has anyone heard of this??

Thanks,
Butch

A:Rebuild Volumes on External drives? Necessary??

Never even heard the phrase "rebuild volumes". May be Apple-specific?

Obviously, if you are a photographer, you need to back up your pictures to a discrete drive and use ordinary maintenance habits and care, but I never heard the phrase.

"Volume" in PC-land typically means partitions. Partitions and/or hard drives can occasionally be lost for whatever reason, but the way to deal with that is to have backups. I have no idea what the term might mean to a Mac user.

I'd like to hear him explain how it "protects" his drives. And why it isn't a well-known practice if it is so beneficial and effective.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/329245-rebuild-volumes-external-drives-necessary.html
Relevancy 40.85%

Hi I got a new harddrive but it wasn't showing up under windows So I read some help which pointed me to opening disk management and selecting the new volume Somehow I chose to make a spanned volume since there were some other unallocated spaces on the other disks I read about the warning of not volumes... some up? Chose messed span to being Chose to span some volumes... messed up? able to have other operating systems other than my main one but I didn't quite understand that Anyway I've got my spanned volume and it's available to me to read write but in the process I've lost bootable partitions Here's a pic of what it currently looks like Disk is the new one and when I first entered disk managment it was unallocated MB each of the two other disks were unallocated too Disk has windows XP in the first partition that was previously bootable but currently isn't Disk had another OS which I used from time to time I'd like to get these back Is it possible or is the damage already done I don't care about the spanning stuff I'd just like to have all disks as simple drives with the other two able to be used to independently as I used to be able to So can anyone help me with this How can I restore things to the way I had it I'd also like to have access to the new drive Should I have simply formatted it or something

A:Chose to span some volumes... messed up?

Your error was in saying yes to "dynamic disks". Always say no.

Any data you may have on the dynamic disks is at risk, but you may be able to get out of it.

Take a look here:

Convert a Dynamic Disk to a Basic Disk

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/232338-chose-span-some-volumes-messed-up.html
Relevancy 40.85%

I was Cannot basic convert to dynamic volumes in the process of using Disk Management to create a partition from unallocated space When the process was complete I discovered that the new partition and all of the others as well were dynamic A genie did this I have no idea how it happened I didn't even know what a dynamic disk was I did some research and could not see any benefit to having a dynamic disk And the only way to get back to basic is to delete all Cannot convert dynamic volumes to basic of the volumes on the disk after backing up the contents Fortunately I already Cannot convert dynamic volumes to basic had all the contents backed up However there is one little glitch There was one little partition on the primary drive of this recently acquired refurbished machine that was only gb which when you right click on it the open and explore options are greyed out I was told this partition contained boot information When you choose the quot delete volume quot option you get quot windows cannot delete this partition quot In troubleshooting the problem I lost the ability the boot into Windows Although I was able to repair the system using a purchased copy of Easy RE Cannot convert dynamic volumes to basic that created a return to the factory system When I looked into Disk Management not only was that gb partition still there but it was still dynamic causing all other partitions to be dynamic I thought I might be able to live with dynamic but when I tried to create a new partition the installation disk wouldn't let me One thing that worries me is What effect will it have if I succeed in getting rid of the gb partition How can I get out of this mess

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/cannot-convert-dynamic-volumes-to-basic-1077794.html
Relevancy 40.85%

Hi. I have many burned CDs of music, media etc...but when I burned these, I had to do it volumes/partitions of about 150megs or so...I repeated this process on the same CD until the CD was full and then I moved on. The problem is, I can't access these different partitions/volumes on my new PC (HP a610n, AMD XP 3000+, 160 Gig HD, 512 MB RAM, windows XP home edition). When I open up nero burning rom to burn data onto a used CD, I see the various partitions/volumes but can't access them. In my computer, I can access only the most current volume. This is a major major problem and I need help fixing it, please. Thanks a lot.

Relevancy 40.85%

Hi, I have a 3 TB Seagate Hard drive disk. When had it installed it showed as 2TB and not 3TB because it was formatted as MRB and had to make 2 partitions 2TB and 750GB, and they are shown as separate disk( disk 3 and disk 4). Tried changing it to GPT before doing the partitions, but for some reason it didnt work.

So , now I am using this program "EaseUS Partition Master", and was able to convert the two partitions into GPT, but when tried to join the two volumes which now are disks back, I get this error message " There is not enough space available on the dist to complete this operation".

I really need some help, tried google but no luck. Thanks.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/396765-merge-two-volumes-disks-back-one.html
Relevancy 40.85%

Over the past - virus removal Volumes during Unmounting weeks this has occurred now enough times for me to be concerned about it I have been following my normal virus removal Volumes Unmounting during virus removal steps that have always produced fine results so the protocols have not changed on my end but recently a few machines have seemingly unmounted their hard drive I know that Pihar will sometimes mess up the boot and I use Gpart to go in and undo the little boot partition Pihar creates but in these cases when I run Gpart I get a yellow triangle next to my main drive and Information notes that it is unmounted This tends to occur after some traditional windows updates after the viruses have been at least in part removed All seems to be going well am cleaning up the computer and voila the computer won t boot won t safe mode won t restore or ANY of the normal tricks we use to get them when they are being stubborn I am not asking anyone here to walk me through this I have been solving viruses for years I am seeking anyone else that has experienced these new strains of viruses and what have they found to be successful short of formatting OR just tell me how I can mount that primary drive without getting into Windows and without removing any data It is almost as if they drive just went bad And I cannot get far enough anywhere to fixboot or fixmbr In this case it is Windows Vista but the point is the same Thank you for any direction you may offer Don in Tucson A iz A nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/volumes-unmounting-during-virus-removal.1101556/
Relevancy 40.85%

I have a dual boot XP Win and wish to merge an empty Disk E into the Win partition D Under Computer I have Disk C Disk D Disc E GB free of GB GB free of GB GB free of GB Presumably for XP Presumably for Win Under what Merging with? but to start is volumes my configuration Computer Management the list shows GB OEM Part D GB System Active C GB Boot Page File E GB Primary Part Primary Partition Cr Dump Prim Partition I don't understand what that GB OEM presumably the original pre loaded XP yes is doing there before the D - separate to protect it To install Win I divided C into two roughly equal parts and installed it into the empty part Where this separate E partition has come from I don't know I thought C is containing my XP or has Win made its position C when I'm in Win mode I could use E for storing data I suppose Merging volumes but what is my configuration to start with? but is it OK to delete E and do the needful if necessary to combine C and E Yes I'm confused - any clarification appreciated

A:Merging volumes but what is my configuration to start with?

Digging out my old notes on the installation of Win 7 I see that the 23.53GB (14.85GB used) should be the XP partition and 88.52GB is the Win 7 partition.

So my previous assigning of the partitions was wrong, reversed in fact.

So my only query now, I think, is how that partition E came about?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/532550/merging-volumes-but-what-is-my-configuration-to-start-with/
Relevancy 40.85%

Hi All, I am new with MSA 2040.I've created volumes and mapped each volumes to the controllers.What am failing to understand is what does Allocated indicated on the volumes?    RegardsEric

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/msa-2040-Volumes-Allocated-and-Size/td-p/5649562
Relevancy 40.85%

I have an old laptop hard drive that was running Windows See the images, HD regarding volumes, etc. partitions, Questions Disc Management screen shot below I'd like to wipe the disc and copy an image of my current hard drive on to it Questions regarding HD volumes, partitions, images, etc. but first I Questions regarding HD volumes, partitions, images, etc. have a few questions I was hoping you could help answer The System L partition How do I delete the drive letter I don't believe it needs to be or should be a volume The current drive has the same amount of quot System quot space but no drive letter Drive M and G have no data in them so I want to remove them I assume that would be a simple right-click and quot Delete Volume quot I presume that when volume M amp G are removed I can simply quot Extend quot Volume N If all this goes as planned and let's say that the image file is approximately GB would it be possible to Restore that image to Questions regarding HD volumes, partitions, images, etc. the same hard drive BTW the current hard drive is the same size as this drive GB Thanks

A:Questions regarding HD volumes, partitions, images, etc.

You say you want to "wipe" the drive.

If you did that, you'd delete all partitions. The drive letter L on the system partition would be irrelevant as you would be deleting it regardless. Deleting all partitions would leave you with unallocated space.

Likewise, if you wipe the drive, you wouldn't have N and therefore couldn't extend it.

You say the image file is 300 GB. That's presumably with some degree of compression. It will be larger when restored. What was the occupied space on the partition from which this image file was made? If 500 or less, I'd guess it would fit on this drive after you wipe it and restore the image.

Is this an image file of a C drive (Windows)? Does the image file also contain the "system reserved" partition which contains boot files on a typical installation? If you have an image file of a C and the C does not contain the boot files, it won't boot after restoration unless you also restore a system reserved partition that does contain boot files.

Or do you have no intention of restoring this image file and simply want to "copy" it to this drive, without restoration or any attempt at booting this drive. That would be taking your use of the word "copy" literally and no more.

It's one thing to "copy" an image file from drive to drive. It's quite another thing to restore that image file.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/341076-questions-regarding-hd-volumes-partitions-images-etc.html
Relevancy 40.85%

Hello,

I have a system with 2 spanned volumes and a boot drive,
3 disks 2Tb making a 6 TB drive, pure data.
2 disks 1 Tbmaking a 2 TB drive, pure data
a boot disk simple volume with 500Gbyte and 4 Partitions.

This boot didk has now a problem and won't boot anymore.
If I replace this bootdrive with a new 2 TB disk and install Windows 7.
Will the new install W7 auto recognize the 2 spanned volumes or not ?

thx for all the help I can get..
Phanthom

A:moving / restoring spanned volumes.

Why are you using Spanned volume or Dynamic disk? Like RAID we see only problems with this. The only reason I've ever seen to justify this is using huge files like video editing files which require the extra space.

Can you browse in now using a rescue disk like Paragon Rescue Kit Free Edition 11.0 Free o
or use the Win7 DVD or Repair CD to browse as shown in Copy & Paste - in Windows Recovery Console. If your data is intact and readable I would copy it out to backup first before anything else just to be extra cautious.

There is no guarantee with RAID or Dynamic spanned disks. We never see anything but trouble with them.

Then after you replace your boot disk, make sure it's in DISK0 slot during install so install cannot interfere with any other Disk. After install if necessary try spanning the HD's again to see if the spanned volumes can be replicated.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/295873-moving-restoring-spanned-volumes.html
Relevancy 40.85%

I am running doomed volumes simple to how - I? my whole changed HD am Just windows bit my original intention was to dual boot bit since I have a bit CPU and just bought GB RAM that isn t being utilized I just got this laptop used about a Just changed my whole HD to simple volumes - how doomed am I? month ago I just got done uninstalling unwanted software and installing the stuff I wanted etc So I was in no mood to do a fresh install with bit I tried to create a partition to install W bit using disk management I did quot shrink partition quot hoping to create a GB partition for the OS At the very last box I get a message saying If I create a simple volume blah blah blah something about booting an OS now this would scare most people off and it did scare me off at first I downloaded a partition manager program and tried a few things that way with no luck I kept going back to disk management windows and finally clicked yes thinking that the worst thing that would happen is that I would render GB of a GB drive unusable However it turned all of the partitions - now of them into simple volumes So back to my original query how bad did I screw things up Is this quot reversible quot I m sure there is no one easy answer to this as the quot research quot I have been doing on partitions shows - it is a pretty complex thing

A:Just changed my whole HD to simple volumes - how doomed am I?

You shouldn't have a problems with your partitions set at (simple).

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/474929/just-changed-my-whole-hd-to-simple-volumes-how-doomed-am-i/
Relevancy 40.85%

First, my specs.

eMachines T3256
Athlon XP 3200
768MB of DDR 2700
eVGA 128mb Geforce FX 5200 AGP 8x
160 GB SeaGate HD
Onboard nForce sound

Now, my problem is that everything I do in Windows, the audio is a literal octave lower and it echoes, very distorted. This just cropped up literally overnight, so I'm confused as to what happened.

I've checked my 7.1 system, it's not that because my Shuffle plays on it fine. I've also tried other speakers and headphones. Same result. I've already reinstalled the nForce audio drivers to no avail as well.

Ideas?

Relevancy 40.85%

Hi folks. I'm a newbie here so apologies if this has been covered before or I'm in the wrong forum.
I've just bought a Dell Inspiron 545 running Vista. I have an external raid consisting of two hard disks partition into one mirrored volume I call SAFE and the remainder of the space into a volume called BIG.
I've used this raid very happily on a five-year-old machine so I know it works.
The Dell sees both volumes as K for SAFE and L. But it will only allow me access into SAFE. When I attempt to access BIG it tells me access is denied. It also thinks there's no space on BIG when it's actually about 400gb.
It's been suggested to me that there's a problem with the bios but I wouldn't know my bios from my elbow. Can anyone help?

Regards

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problem-accessing-raid-volumes.861822/
Relevancy 40.85%

New to the forum thanks in advance for your attention I'm experiencing slight static in the right channel on my PC Windows Ultimate x This happens with all equipment I use including multiple pairs of headphones and my Bose Companion II speakers It happens whether I'm using my motherboard's onboard audio or my volumes Static at higher channel in right Creative Soundblaster X-Fi sound card I can only think it's a software issue most likely driver conflict All of my drivers are up to date for the Creative card--RealTek is disabled in the BIOS right now but I can reactivate it and check Static in right channel at higher volumes if necessary I suppose a motherboard problem is also a possibility BIOS and all relevant drivers are up to date It's most noticeable in music files regardless of format but occasionally in movies and videos as well depending on the frequency range seems more noticeable during emphasis on lows and mids It's more noticeable playing through Winamp than WMP but I think that's just because of the equalizer sound differences I found a YouTube video in which a user had severe audio distortion when his Logitech G keyboard was plugged into certain USB ports as opposed to others I have the same keyboard but my problem isn't nearly as extreme as his was and I don't have another keyboard to test it at any rate Changing USB ports was ineffective I've tried rolling back drivers and such already Any thoughts would be appreciated If you need more information let me know and I'll do my best to provide it

A:Static in right channel at higher volumes

If you physically remove the SoundBlaster then enable the RealTek do you still get it? (Keeping the SoundBlaster installed, even if its disabled can potentially be a conflict).

You should be able to disconnect the keyboard, temporarily, for testing and just use the mouse to navigate and play sound files. That will tell you if the keyboard is the cause.

We have seen noise (static or whatever) caused by things other than sound cards. Video cards/drivers are one. Wi-Fi is another.

Download and run the free DPC Latency Checker and see if that shows anything. DPC Latency Checker

I have a recording studio so I'm very attuned to audio.

http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/294888-static-right-channel-higher-volumes.html
Relevancy 40.85%

Hi.
I have a 200gig SATA HD that I partioned into 4 drives.
C, D, E, and F, all about 47 GIG each.
I just bought another SATA Drive, and now I would like to combine the D, E, and F drives into one volume drive on this existing drive, before I install the new drive.

Can I do that without haveing to reformat and loose all the data on my C drive partition?

Thanks.

A:Combining Volumes on HD (formating question)

Use a partitioner. If successfully merged, the 2 merged partitions will save their data to folders on the final partition. But, as always, make sure your backups are current. Drives can fail at any time. Be sure to run chkdsk /f on all drives before any partitioning begins.

Partitioning Tools-->

Free:

Paragon Partition Manager 8.5-- PPM Special Edition serial and free registration
CloneZilla GParted LiveCD (Complete partitioning and drive imaging/restoration tools)
SystemRescueCD
Gparted LiveCD
Parted Magic
Vista Recovery Disk (Shrink, expand, create, delete partitions)
XP Recovery Console CD image (Create and delete partitions with diskpart.exe)
Partition Logic
Ranish Partition Manager
Cute Partition Manager

Shareware:

Paragon Partition Manager
Paragon Hard Disk Manager
Terabyte BootIt NG
Acronis Disk Director
V-Com (Avanquest) Partition Commander
EASEUS Partition Manager
7Tools Partition Manager
Spotmau Partition Genius

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/combining-volumes-on-hd-formating-question.746042/
Relevancy 40.85%

Hi. I have many burned CDs of music, media etc...but when I burned these, I had to do it volumes/partitions of about 150megs or so...I repeated this process on the same CD until the CD was full and then I moved on. The problem is, I can't access these different partitions/volumes on my new PC (HP a610n, AMD XP 3000+, 160 Gig HD, 512 MB RAM, windows XP home edition). When I open up nero burning rom to burn data onto a used CD, I see the various partitions/volumes but can't access them. In my computer, I can access only the most current volume. This is a major major problem and I need help fixing it, please. Thanks a lot.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/pc-doesnt-detect-partitions-volumes-on-cds-12781.html
Relevancy 40.85%

Recently I have noted "imports" of possibly thousands of photos , acceptable people shots such as film stars, TV stars, shot for advertising cars . publicity,etc) , day by day, into the "recent changes " folder of the Vista photo gallery. they arrive day by day, showing a, say, 30 character code, the date, and size. They can be individually deleted, but would take weeks to do so. The folder into which they pass is shown as "C/ray&sue/appdata/local/Microsoft/toolbar/isolatedstorage/ObsidianApp/5.0.1449.0/content/cars/vid_images".
They sit there in their hundreds. I have tried restoring back to 23.8 13., without success.

I have Kaspersky to chase off viruses, malware, but has found no signs.

My Vista is on a Dell Inspiron approx 5 years old.

Any suggestions?

Ray

A:problem with volumes of unwanted photos

Check and see if you have Obsidian Toolbar installed- uninstall it.
Please download and install Malwarebytes Anti-malware (free version) from Malwarebytes : Malwarebytes Anti-Malware removes malware including viruses, spyware, worms and trojans, plus it protects your computer - UNtick 'Enable free trial of MBAM PRO' at the end of the installation - and update it, then run a full scan in your main account, and Quick scans in any other user accounts.

Delete everything it finds

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/301130-problem-volumes-unwanted-photos.html
Relevancy 40.85%

I have a TB eSATA Dynamic Accessible Disk Not on Volumes drive that contains my backups This drive has been working well for years and isn't accumulating errors It was a basic disk until I deleted a partition that I wasn't using any more and expanded the size of the backup partition That worked fine until yesterday when I was no longer able to access either of the partitions on the drive Here's the output of the disk manager relating to this drive When I use Windows Explorer to access either of the volumes on the drive I get a message quot Z is not accessible quot When I click on Computer I see both of the volumes on the disk but there is no information regarding disk space used available If I right click on the drive and go Properties Tools Error Check I get a message quot The disk check cannot be performed because windows can not access the disk quot However if I go into Disk Manage right click on the partition and go to Properties Tools Error Check I can Volumes on Dynamic Disk Not Accessible scan the drive It completes showing that it found the following errors Chkdsk was executed in scan mode on a volume snapshot Checking file system on Z Volume label is Backup Files Stage Examining basic file system structure Stage Examining file name linkage Stage Examining security descriptors Found corrupt security descriptor entry at offset x in Secure lt x gt SDS queued for offline repair repeated times Windows has found problems that must be fixed offline Please run chkdsk spotfix to fix the issues ---------------------------------------------------------------------- CHKDSK is verifying files stage of File verification completed CHKDSK is verifying indexes stage of Multiple object id files found Ignoring extra object id files Multiple quota files found Ignoring extra quota files Multiple reparse file found Ignoring extra reparse files Multiple Usn Journal file found Ignoring extra Usn Journal files Index verification completed CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors stage of Repairing an index entry with id in index SII of file repeated times The security Id x of security descriptor entry at offset x is a duplicate repeated times Repairing the security file record segment Security descriptor verification completed CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal Usn Journal verification completed KB total disk space KB in files KB in indexes KB in bad sectors KB in use by the system KB occupied by the log file KB available on disk bytes in each allocation unit total allocation units on disk allocation units available on disk I then get a message that I need to reboot the computer to repair these errors which I do According to the event log it repairs all of the errors but I'm back at the same place that I was before and a scandisk of the volume shows the same errors Any ideas on how to fix this -- Geoff

A:Volumes on Dynamic Disk Not Accessible

I was unable to determine a solution to this. However, I discovered that I could access the volumes by booting a standalone system containing Norton Ghost. From there I was able to go to a command line prompt and copy the backup files to another drive. I then deleted all of the partitions and recreated them. All is seemingly well again.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/14624-volumes-dynamic-disk-not-accessible.html
Relevancy 40.85%

I reported last week of a lot of emails passing through my machine my volumes sending email machine is of For the secondtime in two weeks I was my machine is sending volumes of email disconnected by roadrunner for sending out thousands of emails I thought they were crazy but I think what has happened is that someone got into my machine and is using it to send emails I had two machines with the same problem and today I got lucky as the firewall on one machine stopped the email and said that someone was trying to enter your email client and asked if it was ok Naturally I answered no and the firewall closed the port number or so That fixed one machine but I have the same problem on another machine and I am not counting on lightning striking twice I literally have to shut down the connection and go off line whiel read anything off the machine for fear that roadrunner will shut me off as they told me the next time I will be shut down permanently And this thing flows like a fire hydrant as soon as I reconnect to the internet I used an AVG virus scanner to see the activity originally but AVG won t stop anything unless it has a virus There are no viruses on any of the machines And the AVG scanner doesn t identify the open or offending port Firewalls do no good because the flow is outgoing and I cannot identify any virus or worm Is there any software that will identify the email or where it is coming from inside the machine Is there any software that will identify the open or offending port I need something that will distinguish this traffic from other legitimate traffic Dieter Schmied email protected Is there any solution short of reformatting nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-machine-is-sending-volumes-of-email.739909/
Relevancy 40.85%

Hello,

I just installed Win XP Professional 64 bit on a separate volume from my windows 7, and now that volume is listed as "boot" and I can't boot back into my windows 7. How do I change which volume boots? There is no boot manager when I turn on my laptop

thanks,
Jubal

A:dual booting xp and 7 (problem with volumes)

Try this tutorial: Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/22757-dual-booting-xp-7-problem-volumes.html
Relevancy 40.85%

I have Original Ms xp pro with server pack 2..I have HP Pavilion computer..it has only C: drive but i want to make more drives..I have 160 GB hard drive..I have tried lots of things but i was not able to do that..I don't have bootable CD now..I don't know where it is.I have consulted with many friends they said in OEM you can have only one drive..Is it true..If there is any way to do that plz tell me that..

A:need help to create different hard disk volumes

You may try partition magic, it may do the trick. But generally before
you do a install of the operating system is the time to partition the drive.
Just because you have a oem version of the operating system doesnt
mean you are limited to one partition.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/need-help-to-create-different-hard-disk-volumes-354191.html
Relevancy 40.85%

When I use Disk Management from the MMC, it will not show any volumes. The C drive will not come up, nor any USB or other external devices attached to it, the drive display is just blank.

Any ideas why this would be happening?

A:Disk Management will not show any volumes

I came across a thread where they suggested checking the Windows/System32 folder for a file named dmserver.dll.

The file had been renamed to "dmserverxxx.dll", and when renamed to "dmserver.dll" it fixed the issue.

Apparently happens sometimes when new externals are connected.

Worth checking.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/disk-management-will-not-show-any-volumes-380171.html
Relevancy 40.42%

Hi!
So I have a 1TB HDD that had an old back up partition of 175GB on it and a storage partition of 755GB. I used disk manegement to clear/delete the smaller volume so I could create a new back up for my recently installed OS. Somehow, (never tinker whilst looking after a screaming baby) I now have 2 simple volumes, both labelled as drive F.
I have about 700GB of stuff on the original larger partition and not to keen on having to buy another HDD to back that up. I also tried EaseUS Partition Master but the option to "convert to basic disk" is not there maybe because there are 2 very small (..MBs) unallocated partitions that seemingly only EaseUS can detect?

I would like to return the drive to a basic disk and create a backup partition on it without losing all my data, is this at all possible?
Thanks in advance

A:HDD divided into 2 simple volumes with same drive letter F

Someone else will have to help you with the two volumes having the same drive letter (weird, that).

However, it's not a very good idea to have a backup installed inside your computer, let alone on the same drive. If the computer or the drive should ever fail, there goes your backup with it. Backups should be on an external drive (or an internal type drive in a dock) and connected to the computer only when updating the backup (which should be frequently). It's also a good idea to have at least two backup drives since even a backup drive can fail unexpectedly (ideally one would be kept onsite and the other offsite). An easy way to have and maintain an offsite backup would be to use a food good cloud backup storage, such as Carbonite.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/360697-hdd-divided-into-2-simple-volumes-same-drive-letter-f.html
Relevancy 40.42%

Win8.1 Pro x64

Been having a weird problem lately. Whenever I unlock a BitLocker volume (I have two of them), I can't access it. The system doesn't even provide a drive letter. If I try accessing the drive letter in Directory Opus (where the drive letters are always shown, whether the volumes are unlocked or not), I get an error saying the drive does not exist.

But if I lock and immediately unlock the volume a second time, all is well.

I don't understand this at all. Anyone?

A:Have to unlock BitLocker volumes twice to gain access

No one? This has to be one of the stupidest, strangest problems I've ever encountered--and I've been using Windows for ages.

I changed the password on both BitLocker volumes, but it didn't make a difference to this issue.

http://www.eightforums.com/system-security/56039-have-unlock-bitlocker-volumes-twice-gain-access.html
Relevancy 40.42%

Whenever I select my computer/c drive the amount of free space keeps changing
Examples: One minute say 99gb, next minute 2gb. Then 99gb then 67gb.
The values are all over the place. Even restarting doesn't help
Any ideas why this is happening and is it signs of a serious condition.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

A:Hard drive shows inconsistent volumes

Follow this please:

Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/310311-hard-drive-shows-inconsistent-volumes.html
Relevancy 40.42%

I have Outlook Express 6.0. When a message is received there is little or no sound or so weak I can hardly hear it. All other sounds are normal volume. I went to control panel, sounds, and looked around and saw no settings that appeared abnormal. In fact, speaker volume is set on max. What is wrong with my e-mail alert sounds?
Thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/low-volume-upon-e-mail-receipt-but-other-volumes-are-normal.248307/
Relevancy 40.42%

So I just uninstalled Ubuntu, and had a whole big problem with starting up my computer(don't even get me started), and now I'm here, my final problem. So as you can see by the image, my ssd is split up into multiple volumes. I want to know how to combine my main, Windows 7 volume, with my previously Ubuntu volume. At this point it is free space and I have no idea, nor could I find out how to do what I need. I am hoping someone here has a clue about this. Any suggestions?

A:How to combine seperate volumes on same SSD after uninstall of Ubuntu?

Click Delete Partition to delete the extended Logical partition Free Space and make it Primary Unallocated Space.

Then extend C into the space: Partition or Volume - Extend

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/207619-how-combine-seperate-volumes-same-ssd-after-uninstall-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 40.42%

using windows 7 ultimate, when i pull the volume slider down to 0% there is still sound coming from my headset. the only way to stop the sound is to click the mute button. i have gone into the device manager and uninstalled the drivers for my onboard sound and for my ATI hdmi audio device. additionally, i don't know if it is relevant.. but the sound being produced is VERY loud. moving the volume slider up to 10+ is ear piercing loud
Thanks

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/turning-down-volumes-doesnt-mute-sound-528026.html
Relevancy 40.42%

I have a SATA RAID controller, and 2 identical drives. In the card's BIOS I've created an array, assigned both drives to it, and set them up as RAID 0. This adds to the 2 PATA drives I already have on my system, which contain the system directories and such.
I started XP and went to Disk Management, but it insists on recognizing the drives as 2 independent volumes. I went through the motions of formatting and mounting them, but could see no way to make them act like a single striped volume. What am I doing wrong?
I have WinXPHE.

A:Solved: Can't get striped volumes into 1 logical volume

N/m. It seems the creation of the array in the card's BIOS didn't take. Now that I've made sure it did, I've got a perfectly working single striped volume

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-cant-get-striped-volumes-into-1-logical-volume.766421/
Relevancy 40.42%

Hey Guys,

I've got this problem when I add or remove a device that makes an application's volume drop. I notice it most when using my KVM switch (also noticed with iphone/usb hard drive). An interesting point I should add is if the volume is already low when I use the switch, the slider will slide up to the original position, then back down.

Before adding/removing a device:
After:
This is especially annoying since once I've switched my mouse/keyboard to another computer, I can't change the volume slider anymore. Anyone know how to prevent my volumes from changing?

Using Win7 Home Premium x64

A:Application Volumes Changing on Add/Remove Device

[resurrecting this post only because it still shows up above the SuperUser result for some search queries...]

this problem is resolved in this question.

http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/200462-application-volumes-changing-add-remove-device.html
Relevancy 40.42%

I've done this twice in a row now so I'm sure it's not a fuke I install windows convert the disks to Dynamic Disks and try to reboot THe result is that the system hangs right after it would normally check to boot from the DVD drives and before it would start booting Windows The screen goes all black and I'm left with a blinking cursor in the top left I don't get any error message I've tried using system repair on the boot cd but the quot Startup Repair quot app tells me that there is nothing wrong Happily I see that unlike earlier versions of WinOS does seem to support DYnamic Disks to some extent I am currently reinstalling the OS to see if it can happily coexist with DD now One thing that concerns me is that my partition table seems to have changed unexpectedly Disk Before Partition - MB system reserved Partition - GB C Partition - Blah Partition - Blah Disk After Partition - Partition - MB system reserved Partition - GB C Partition - Blah Partition - Blah This probably explains the booting difficulty to some extent I guess the next thing I'll try is creating the dynamic disks and rebooting before I set up any other boot no = Volumes to disks Converting Dynamic partitions Then I will try Converting disks to Dynamic Volumes = no boot to reboot after every step OR I could install a third HD which is not part of the dynamic disks hmmmm Any suggestions or insights are much appreciated

A:Converting disks to Dynamic Volumes = no boot

Why would you convert your primary disk to dynamic? They're not bootable...

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/45255-converting-disks-dynamic-volumes-no-boot.html
Relevancy 40.42%

Hi -- We recently replaced the motherboard on a PC running Windows Ultimate x The replacement was a Upgraded PC its RAID to access lost volumes newer board in the same family Everything that was installed in the old PC was moved to Upgraded PC lost access to its RAID volumes the new PC with the exception of Upgraded PC lost access to its RAID volumes the DVD writers Since they were IDE drives and the new board doesn't support IDE we purchased two SATA BluRay writers and an additional PCIe SATA card because the mobo didn't have enough SATA ports to accommodate the hard drives and Upgraded PC lost access to its RAID volumes two new SATA devices The new mobo's integrated RAID used the same chipset and driver as the old mobo did so moving the hard drives was a breeze When the PC powered up it immediately recognized the LVs and then properly booted to Windows from the proper LV We made sure to adequately prep the machine before taking it apart So when we powered it back up in its new configuration Windows booted to a desktop and then installed the drivers for every hardware device it could find This apparently included drivers for the second SATA card even though Windows already had recognized the two hard drives I moved to that card to make room for the BluRay drives on the board Everything was looking fantastically well maybe too fantastically well When Windows finished installing drivers it announced that it had to restart So I restarted it And I haven't been able to boot back into Windows since Every time Windows boots it pops into recovery mode It took me a while to realize that it was attempting to boot from one of the drives connected to the secondary SATA card This despite the proper LV being set up as the only bootable drive in the BIOS Windows no longer recognizes the RAID LVs If I try to get Windows to repair itself after I load the RAID drivers from a flash drive Windows immediately finds the Windows installation albeit always on a screwy drive letter If I then launch Startup Repair it spends a good minutes churning away at the hard drive announces it has to reboot and leaves me right back where we started I removed the secondary SATA card knocking out two of the non-RAID drives in the process went through the whole Startup Repair drama again and I still can't get Windows to properly boot where it's supposed to It still doesn't recognize the RAID card I figured that a repair installation using the RAID drivers on the flash drive would fix this problem But now I find myself without a viable Windows Ultimate x installation image The ISO I have produces DVDs that abort with the quot A required CD DVD driver is missing quot error I'm really stuck here How do I fix this RAID driver issue with what I have And why would this have worked so well until Windows finished updating all its device drivers and then left me in this bind Thanks CL nbsp nbsp

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/1e16ba21-a6e0-407d-8d90-32e828e74601/upgraded-pc-lost-access-to-its-raid-volumes?forum=w7itproinstall
Relevancy 40.42%

Perhaps I have misunderstood a comment I read somewhere, that a clean install removes partitions.

Sorting out troubles, the subject of another thread, a repairer effected a clean installation. Now, on viewing disk management (see att), it would seem the partitions are still there and sized much or identically as before, but not as they were before visible with a drive letter.

Are the partitions actually there still and accurate, and how do I gain access to the recovery partition, should i need? Please.

A:Paritions and Volumes post clean install

Disappointing as no reply.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/284224-paritions-volumes-post-clean-install.html
Relevancy 40.42%

Hello friends I have a Dell Inspiron laptop with -bit windows ultimate installed in it My Partitions were like this c gb primary partition d gb primary partition rest e f and g were gbs each approx Understanding the need of more space in c i formatted d and created it as unallocated space shrunk it with c to make c total of gb Up-to that i didn't have a problem Now my disk partition were form won't Volumes New Free Simple Space c gb primary partition d gb logical drive e gb logical drive f gb logical drive since my d was empty i decided to extend my e with the gb available on d and so i formatted the d and then it changed to free space Now i cant reformat d nor extend e with the free space generated in d Whenever i Free Space won't form New Simple Volumes try to create a new Free Space won't form New Simple Volumes simple volume by right clicking the free space of gb in d i get following error shown in screenshot i also have run a chkdsk in prompt but it says quot cannot open volume for direct access quot any idea where i went wrong my dear frens please help me thank you

A:Free Space won't form New Simple Volumes

Welcome to Windows Seven Forums.

Your problem has occurred because for some reason you are using logical partitions, which are effectively an extension of the C partition. Free space is different to unallocated space in that there is a partition there occupying that space.

Your best bet is leave the C:\ drive as it is and delete the three logical partitions, then create a new primary partition or partitions on the resultant unallocated space.

You can have up to four primary partitions on one hard drive and if you need more partitions you can create logical partitions within the last primary partition.

Make sure you backup everything first before you delete your logical partitions and creating a restore point wouldn't be a bad idea either.

You might want to create a Partition Wizard boot disc for partitioning needs as it is far more versatile than Windows 7's disk management tool.

http://www.partitionwizard.com/index.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/183997-free-space-wont-form-new-simple-volumes.html
Relevancy 40.42%

as the title says i just got two 3TB HDD's and for some reason after 2TB its showing a new volume. any idea how to fix it? shoot me a question for more details if you need it

A:Single HDD Showing 2 Volumes (not partitions) cant merge

The 746.52GB Volume at the end cant even be partitioned for some reason

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/263337-single-hdd-showing-2-volumes-not-partitions-cant-merge.html
Relevancy 40.42%

Hi there Just wondering how people handle backing up large volumes of DATA and performing recoveries if required data with Large of volumes Strategies Backup from this data Now as cheap TB disks are readily available and by using Spanning or Storage pools you can get very large data spaces of say TB for example Now things like acronis can actually handle large volumes of data - backup will just request another volume when the first one is full so you might for example have external USB disks being used for a backup With this huge volumeof data you can't just keep one or two disks around and then look for something with Windows explorer if you need to recover some data So are there any decent Cataloguing systems out there yet suitable for HOME users I don't need Backup Strategies with Large volumes of data something like a Bank would use to recover data and judging by recent performances it can take them a WEEK Anybody got any ideas - this sort of question I'm sure will become more important soon I'd hate to lose say TB's worth of Music for example Years ago tape systems were common -- they though were EXPENSIVE SLOW and unreliable but they used to have decent cataloguing systems I'd like to have some sort of program that says xxxxxxx backed up on ddmmyy on volumes xxxx yyyy If you need to recover some data The current backups usually insist you put the LAST volume of the backup in assuming you know which disk it is and then after a load of reads finally ask you to mount volume YYYY in the backup set -- also if you know what it is Restoring TB of data isn't a practical option Any ideas anyone Home type solutions here please -- I'm not running a Billion Dollar data centre If people think TB is excessive -- just think these days it's quite common for people to have or disks of at least TB on their machines now Cheers jimbo

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/26697-backup-strategies-large-volumes-data.html
Relevancy 40.42%

There are six storage volumes in device manager marked as "unknown device" without yellow icon when selecting "show hidden devices". Few weeks ago I replaced my HDD which had six partitions. Could they be related to these ones? Does it harm my system when I uninstall them in device manager?

Thanks.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/611034/hidden-storage-volumes-in-device-manager/
Relevancy 40.42%

Hello.

When I turned my laptop on for the first time, it installed Windows 8 automatically, which made me think there is a hidden volume somewhere on the hard drive. I listed all the volumes using DiskPart utility and it showed me some hidden ones, as expected. What I want to do now is to explore the hidden volumes' contents, and retrieve the drivers from there if possible. But the problem is, I don't know how to list the contents of those volumes. I could've used DIR command if they were accessible through the letters, but unfortunately they don't have any letters associated with them. Please help, by explaining how I can list the contents of the hidden volumes.

Thanks.

A:How to list files of hidden volumes, that have no letters?

Right click Computer > Manage > Disk Management > right click the volume > Change drive letter and path > add a drive letter
Does that work? If it does, it should come up next to your other drives in Computer.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/13274-how-list-files-hidden-volumes-have-no-letters.html
Relevancy 39.99%

I'm trying to understand why when I open the volume mixer and raise the "Device" volume all the other independent volumes for the other programs raise to at 50% of the Device's volume. How do I keep them all equal? I'd rather not have to raise each and every one separately.

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/67024-volume-mixer-issues-independent-program-volumes.html